America's 1st Choice Home Club

Author picture
Edited by

Overall Rating4.2 out of 5

About America's 1st Choice Home Club

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect their wallets from unforeseen home upkeep and repair expenses. AFC Home Club has four plans to fit your budget and needs, a 24/7 claims center and a work guarantee covering parts and labor for the life of the plan.

Pros & Cons

Pros

• Three service call fee options
  • Choose your own service technician
  • Parts and labor covered for life of plan
  • Discounts and free credit monitoring with membership

Cons

• Not available in Hawaii
  • $75 cancellation fee possible

Bottom Line

America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers four home warranty plans, extra coverage and multiple service fee options. Its standout features include letting you choose your own technician and a work guarantee that lasts for the life of your contract. Once you have a plan, AFC Home Club won’t increase your cost or service fee.

Top America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews

Verified

“The claim submission process was very smooth and easy. ... With AFC, I don't have to worry about my appliances because I know it's gonna be taken care of. I've told several peopl...

Verified

“I was comfortable with the people I spoke with at the time I called America's 1st Choice, and I felt like they have good customer service and they gave me a good price. As far as...

America's 1st Choice Home Club warranty coverage

You can purchase a plan from America’s 1st Choice Home Club that covers systems, appliances or both.

Covered systems:

• Garage door opener
  • Refrigerator
  • Ice maker
  • Oven/range/cooktop

You can also customize your plan with the following additional optional coverages:

• Central vacuum
  • Sump pump
  • Stand-alone freezer
  • Well pump

America's 1st Choice Home Club cost

You can get a free, fast quote for an America’s 1st Choice Home Club plan online or by calling. On average, costs for America’s 1st Choice Home Club range from $32.08 per month to $55 per month, depending on the plan, the service fee you choose and the size of your home.

PlanService call feeAnnual cost
Systems Plan $75 $480
Silver Plan $75 $396
Gold Plan $75 $565
Platinum Plan $75 $622

Prices are based on quotes for a home in Houston and are accurate at the time of publishing.

You can generally lower the cost of your monthly or annual cost by choosing a higher service fee amount. AFC Home Club’s three service fee amounts are $75, $100 and $125.

Discounts

America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers discounts for covering multiple properties and for choosing a three-year contract.

America's 1st Choice Home Club warranty exclusions

As is standard for most home warranties, America’s 1st Choice Home Club doesn’t cover known or unknown preexisting conditions, and it won’t cover any item that is still under warranty from the manufacturer. It also doesn’t cover malfunction due to any of the following:

• Rust or corrosion
  • Mold or mildew
  • Misuse or abuse
  • Failure to maintain equipment
  • Fire, power surges, electrical shorts, water damage, lightning or storms
  • Pest damage

Keep in mind that there are also specific exclusions for each covered item in your plan. You will need to read your contract carefully for these exclusions. For example, in a sample Platinum Plan contract provided by AFC Home Club, it excludes from dishwasher coverage the control board, touch panel, racks and soap dispenser. The contract also specifies payout limits per appliance or system.

America's 1st Choice Home Club claims

You can make claim requests online or over the phone 24/7. Once you make a service request, AFC Home Club schedules an appointment with a technician from its network within 24 to 48 hours. Alternatively, you can schedule an appointment with your own licensed and insured technician.

You pay a service fee each time to the technician who comes to your home each time you request service. The technician diagnoses the problem, contacts AFC Home Club and gets approval to repair or replace the covered item. If there’s still an issue after the technician leaves, you don’t have to worry about paying another service fee — America’s 1st Choice Home Club has a work guarantee covering parts and labor for the length of your plan (up to three years).

America's 1st Choice Home Club FAQ

Does America's 1st Choice Home Club require a home inspection?

No, a home inspection is not required for coverage from AFC Home Club.

Can I pick my own service technician with America's 1st Choice Home Club?

Yes, you can pick any licensed, insured and bonded technician, or you can have AFC Home Club send someone from its network. If you choose your own technician, AFC Home Club will verify licensing information at the time of diagnosis.

How long is America's 1st Choice Home Club’s workmanship guarantee?

The company’s guarantee covers parts and labor on repairs for the duration of your plan (either one or three years). Plumbing stoppages are excluded from the guarantee.

Does America's 1st Choice Home Club have an age limit on systems or appliances?

No, AFC Home Club has no age limits for covered systems or appliances.

Where are America's 1st Choice Home Club warranties available?

The company’s home warranties are available in every state except Hawaii.

Is America's 1st Choice Home Club worth it?

If you’re considering a home warranty, America’s 1st Choice Home Club should be on your list of companies to consider. It has multiple options for plans and service call fees, guarantees repairs for the length of your plan, lets you choose your own technician and locks in your rate.

Before choosing any home warranty contract, consider comparing offers from multiple providers, comparing coverages, exclusions, limitations and pricing to find the right protection for your home and budget.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?
Original review: April 5, 2023

Our experience with their reps has been excellent. The signup process was very clear. They followed up with a summary. There were no questions or lingering doubts. We've had several claims and they let us pick a contractor and just submit the bill. They are very prompt at getting everything reimbursed. We've been assigned a go-to person who happens to be the department head. The home warranty has been a godsend. With it, we don't have to worry too much about things. They don't always pay 100% of it because maybe the issue is with an appliance that is really old but the proration is very fair.

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for your glowing review of your experience with America's 1st Choice Home Club! We are thrilled to hear that you have had excellent interactions with our representatives and that the signup process was clear and followed up with a summary, leaving no questions or doubts.

We understand the importance of flexibility when it comes to choosing contractors, and we are glad to hear that you have been able to pick your preferred contractor for several claims. Our team takes pride in prompt reimbursement for covered expenses, ensuring that you can quickly resolve any issues that may arise in your home.

It's great to hear that you have been assigned a dedicated go-to person, who happens to be the department head, providing you with personalized service. We are glad that our home warranty has been a godsend for you, alleviating worries about unexpected home repairs.

As with any home warranty, coverage may vary depending on the age and condition of appliances, but we strive to provide fair proration for issues with older appliances. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Thank you for choosing America's 1st Choice Home Club as your home warranty provider, and we look forward to continuing to serve you with top-notch service in the future.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2023

America's 1st Choice Home Club covered the type of air conditioner I have in my condo. They were very helpful. They responded right away. They found a contractor within a day and the contractor responded within a day and diagnosed the problem. It was my dishwasher. The water wasn't turning off and they had to order a part. They had it fixed within three days. They were very good. I highly recommend America's 1st Choice Home Club.

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for your wonderful review of America's 1st Choice Home Club! We are thrilled to hear that we were able to provide coverage for your specific type of air conditioner in your condo, and that our team was helpful and responsive throughout the process.

Our goal is to provide prompt and efficient service, and we are glad to hear that we were able to quickly find a contractor and diagnose the issue with your dishwasher. We understand the inconvenience of a malfunctioning appliance, and we are glad that the necessary part was ordered promptly and the repair was completed within three days.

We appreciate your recommendation of America's 1st Choice Home Club, and we are grateful for your feedback on our service. We are committed to providing reliable and responsive home warranty services to our valued customers.

Thank you for choosing America's 1st Choice Home Club, and we look forward to being your trusted home warranty provider in the future.

Original review: March 21, 2023

When I would call, the people were nice and gave me the information that I needed. I had a claim for my pool pump. Edison knocked out our power because they were doing some updates. I couldn't figure out how to reset the time so it’d work properly and AFC Home Club gave me a list of people. I called a tech and he came out, did the job, and charged me his fee of 65. The pool guy that came out was really nice. Then, about a week later the Edison generator down the street was leaking oil so they had to shut our power off again. I called AFC again and they said to get the tech back and get a receipt. I did and this time, he showed me exactly how to do it. AFC gave me the address of where to mail in the copy of the receipts that I got from him and they sent me a check for the extra that I paid.

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with America's First Choice. We are delighted to hear that our customer service representatives were able to provide you with the information you needed and that you had a great experience with the technician who came out to fix your pool pump.

At America's First Choice, we strive to provide prompt and reliable service to our customers, and we are glad that we were able to assist you with your claim. We appreciate your business and are happy to hear that you were satisfied with the process and that we were able to reimburse you for the extra payment you made.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us. We value your feedback and are committed to providing excellent service to all of our customers.

Thank you for choosing America's First Choice, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Best regards,

America's First Choice

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

I have America's 1st Choice Home Club for both of my houses. It's my first time using a home warranty, but I've got two older houses, so it is giving me a level of security. What appealed to me was the fact that I could use my own service technician and I could be reimbursed later. And that was a feature that a lot of other places did not have. It was important to me because I already have established relationships with providers or repair people, and those guys don't want to deal with the claims.

I had one claim that paid out for my refrigerator. It was efficient. Because I already had my provider, which is why I went with America's 1st Choice. He came over. He fixed it. While he was in my kitchen, I just went on the portal and I filled out the form. There were one or two questions I didn't know the answer to, so I just asked him and I submitted the form. It was reviewed quickly. And I got a decision very quickly. The processor asked for the repair person's information. They may have called him. But part of the reason I went with this policy is so that the repair person can focus on doing the repair person's job and I worry about the claim.

I like the access on the internet. I've uploaded documents on the portal. There were several claims that didn't pay out, because I was trying to learn my way around it. A couple of times, I submitted a claim and they were, “No, that doesn't qualify.” But the explanation made sense and it was consistent with the letter of the policy. So, I'm planning to continue. And based on my experience with this house, I bought one for my other house. I'm happy with it.

Hello Janet,

We are happy to hear you utilize the benefit by using your preferred technician as many of our members love this option! Thank you for being a valued member!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

We liked America's 1st Choice's pricing model and what they covered and talking to them on the phone, we also liked the customer service. It was a gut feeling. We felt like they were a good fit for us. The price wasn't so high that we felt like it wasn't a huge risk either. It really came down to, "Hey, we can sign up for this for three years. If we use it, great. If we don't, no harm, no foul. Lesson learned."

We've submitted two claims so far. Unfortunately, both claims happened in emergency situations. One was on a holiday for an oven. It went out the day before Thanksgiving and we ended up purchasing a new oven and working with them on the back end to get it reimbursed. Now, it didn't cover the whole thing. It was an older range unit and we didn't have any repair tech come out. So, it was a unique opportunity, but it did help offset the cost there.

The second claim was for a heating and cooling issue. We came home one Sunday afternoon, it was about 100 degrees and it was noticeable that the air conditioning wasn't working. The company that does our annual maintenance on it has 24-hour service. They came out and fixed it. We submitted the claim the next day with the Home Club, and they worked out with the heating and cooling company and got us reimbursed for a control board that needed to be replaced. So, it's been an overall very efficient and successful relationship so far. I feel like we're getting exactly what we paid for. We're getting exactly what we are hoping, too.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

We allow our members to use their own licensed and insured technicians at any time. Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Original review: May 22, 2023

I live in a rental house and part of my rental agreement with my landlord is that I keep up with the home warranty. I settled on AFC because of the price and, so far, so good. It's been easy. I've had a couple of claims, and the most recent one was for a dishwasher that went out. I paid the $100 deductible and the claim process took a couple of weeks, but that's because I travel for work. AFC was quick. The guy came out the same day, checked it out and called in the claim. He was friendly and professional and I felt safe with him. AFC told me that they would give me money towards the new dishwasher. The check turnaround time took a little while, but it sounds like it's just one lady that does all the checks and she probably covered up.

I also had some issues with AFC with plumbing stoppages, and it was hard because of the technician they sent out first. This was back in November and there was some miscommunication about the first plumber they sent out and his price and wanting to do a service versus who actually came out and did the job right. They wanted to argue over a discrepancy, but I got paid out in the end.

Original review: May 20, 2023

AFC covers a lot of the stuff that insurance won't cover. I have peace of mind that I don't have to shell out that much if anything happens. The technicians have mainly been my own people then AFC would reimburse me.

Original review: May 19, 2023

I was so dissatisfied with America's 1st Choice Home Club that I had to cancel it. The people are communicative and very friendly. But it was a constant nickel and diming and them not living up to what I felt like they were responsible for. I went forward with AFC because they allowed for my own contractors to work. I've been working with contractors over the past couple of years, so I know specifically who knows the different models and units, and the appliances that I have in that condo.

I've had multiple claims. Unfortunately, AFC was unable to fulfill any of them. I had a very frustrating experience. Everything that went wrong, they kept trying to weasel out of it. For instance, the hot water heater had to be replaced. So, they said they would give me $50 for the hot water heater but it was is a $600 thing for us. At least $600 to $800 I would have to pay to have the installation done. And they said, "It's too old." It had been 10 years since I got the hot water heater. It seems they have a lot of fine print scattered across what they say they would do. And at some point, I wasn't breaking even on paying the $50 per month for the warranty.

One of the things they said was they don't cover the HVAC model that I have for my heating and cooling system. That was frustrating because I have a heating and cooling system on my actual warranty. So why not this type of HVAC? I had a huge electrical issue and I had electrical systems covered in all of my warranty as well. They wanted me to make the determination before they sent out a person. I said, "How could I know what the issue is? I need you guys to diagnose what the issue is." I'm not an electrician.

Original review: May 19, 2023

The communication has been great. The reps would answer the phone. They would get back to me. I usually call America's 1st Choice Home Club, then submit my receipts like I had to do before, because I had to pay out both times. The first time, they reimbursed me. But that took two weeks. They had to send it via e-check.

I paid for extra because I have a septic system. The house was inspected and was up to par, but we had a stoppage. America's 1st Choice Home Club told me it could be 24 to 48 hours before they could get someone out here. So, we couldn't use the bathroom. But I could go ahead and find someone myself and pay for it and they would reimburse me less the $75 contract fee, which I did and they did. But the aerator went out on the septic. They wouldn't cover it because I hadn't paid in enough on the contract. So, they applied the cost that it cost me, $500, minus the $75. They applied that to my contract as if they reimbursed my contract for the money that I paid so now I'm only paying $33 a month instead of $50 a month. The plumbing company I chose would not work with America's 1st Choice Home Club because it takes forever to get paid and they refused. I’m not happy with AFC. Do not use them.

Original review: May 12, 2023

It was pretty easy to set up a service with AFC. I called then someone called me back and walked me through the process. It was all done over the phone. With AFC, you can find your own person, which is what I liked about their warranty. It's easier when you have that option. So far, I haven't used anyone that they found and for my recent claim, I just found my own person because I was trying to get the work done fairly quickly. It was for the air conditioning and it was in the middle of summer. They couldn't find someone fast enough so I did my own search.

Then, to get the person paid, they had to call AFC and I would have to submit a bill from the company in order to get reimbursed. But for my AC claim, I ended up not getting reimbursed because the guy didn't provide the right kind of invoice. I had another claim for the stove and that one was a fairly easy process where the contractor got reimbursed. All in all, AFC's service works out better than other home warranty companies because of the option to find your own contractor. Aside from that, at least for now, they're in Georgia. So, when you call them, the reps are local and they're actually in the office as part of the corporation that's able to make decisions. That was a huge plus as well.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for sharing your experience with AFC. It's great to hear that setting up the service was a straightforward process and that our customer representative guided you through it over the phone. Our option to find your own contractor worked well for you, allowing you to have more control over selecting someone for your specific needs.

It's understandable that you took the initiative to find your own professional to get the work done promptly for your air conditioner.

We are pleased to hear that our service stands out compared to other home warranty companies because of the flexibility to choose your own contractor. Additionally, we are proud to have our representatives local to add value to the overall customer experience.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, and we will continue to provide you with reliable service in the future. If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information