Call toll free
3.87/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides cost-effective, extended home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect themselves against the unforeseen expenses of home upkeep and repair. With four plans to fit your budget and needs, and a 24/7 claims center, AFC Home Club has you covered.

BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers a wide range of coverage with multiple plans available. While some coverage caps are limited, their coverage variety and flexible service call fee make them stand out.

PROS

• Flexible service call fee
  • Choose your own service technician
  • Longest labor guarantee

CONS

• Not available in three states

Top America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews

12/11/2018

The claims rep was knowledgeable, asked several questions and got someone out within a couple of days. The technicians were timely, good and I haven’t had any issues with them. AFC has been able to take care of any issues that we have brought up and they have been helpful about it.

02/11/2019

America's First Choice Home Club covered a bit more and their service call fee was less. They've just been super easy to work with. Their contractors usually come out on the same day or next. I highly recommend AFC. They've been professional, courteous and focused.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club plans

America’s 1st Choice Home Club provides four levels of home warranty coverage to existing homeowners as well home warranties for buyers and sellers (available only through real estate agents). They do not require a home inspection prior to buying a warranty, but existing conditions are not covered. Optional coverages are also available, and there are no limits on service requests. They offer plans in all states excluding Alabama, California, Hawaii and South Carolina.

• Systems: This is an affordable plan for home systems only. It provides essential coverage for five of the most important systems in a household.
  • Silver: The Silver plan is ideal for homeowners looking to protect appliances. It’s also an affordable option and includes nine major appliances as well as the water heater.
  • Gold: The Gold level plan includes all Systems and Silver coverage and additionally protects ductwork. It’s a good option if you’re looking for both systems and appliance coverage.
  • Platinum: The Platinum plan provides the most extensive coverage. It includes everything in the lower plan levels, as well as several additional protections, such as plumbing stoppages.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club cost

You can get a free, instant quote on America’s 1st Choice Home Club website after putting in your current ZIP code. On average, annual costs for America’s 1st Choice Home Club range from $350 to $625 depending on what service fee you choose. This allows homeowners to choose the best choice for their budget. A discount is available if a three-year contract is purchased.

PlanService Call FeeCost
Systems Plan$75$450
Silver Plan$75$450
Gold Plan$75$550
Platinum Plan$75$625
*Prices for zip code 77001. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage

The plans from America’s 1st Choice Home Club cover the following systems, appliances or a combination of both. You can also customize your plan with additional optional coverages, but the specific options and associated costs may vary by region. You can find coverage for the following items across their four plans. Optional add-on items are available for an additional cost.

Covered systems:

• Garage door opener
  • Ice maker
  • Kitchen refrigerator
  • Oven/range/cooktop

Optional coverage: America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers optional add-on coverage for pool/spa equipment, septic systems, stand-alone freezers and well pumps.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I've had home warranties for eight years and America's First Choice Home Club is favorable in some other things. Sometimes, their response rate is much better than other companies, but the exclusions they have is a lot more than the other companies. When submitting a claim, they have an answering service in the morning which is basically a waste of time. They should simply shut it off and say go online and do it because they ask so many questions without knowing anything. Then they tell us that it's only answering services and cannot create any ticket which will happen only later. So, you'd either accept the call or don't respond. Even if they do it, they should simply tell that they're just gonna collect a lot of information but have to pass it on to other people.

America's First Choice is very clear about what they cover and don't cover, but of course, the sales guys were telling they covered everything. They won't give false information, but they don't give complete information. And then, there's a large document in which a lot of things are not covered, but that's okay. That's part of their insurance business. The technician that answered the service call was fairly okay.

I had a couple of issues and sometimes the technicians or the company or their work, have not been a tickle, and I did not find America's First Choice covering my back. I had to go through a credit card company and America's First Choice covered all the money back, but they disowned me and said that I'm affiliated with the company directly and my information and they put it back on me, but I still won the case because the technician was lying.

They also don't tell us upfront that they won't cover any of the equipment which are more than eight years old. I had to figure that out on our own over time because I raised five tickets. And every time they come back and say, "This is more than eight years. All I can do is give you $50, a $100 or $200." I was very disappointed on that part. If I knew that, I would not have signed up with them. But without that issue, they've been fairly good and quite flexible. I'm adding one more property there with them because I really love them.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response
We are so humbled to be able to cover your accounts and authorize almost $2100.00 in service requests to date.

Currently, our hours of operation are 9 am EST to 9 pm EST. If you do call prior to those times the answering service will take the information and allow us to go ahead and assign a technician. If we have added questions we may have to reach out but you are the first priority as it is first come first serve and priority does lay with emergency cases.

You can submit online at anytime if you wish at www.afchomeclub.com. We have found through annual data analysis that we are able to get technicians quicker to the home with the initial answering service after hours. We apologize this did not suit your needs and we will make an effort to bring this feedback to management and training, thank you!

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I had another company before and the person they sent drag their stuff across my floors and it was just useless. We also felt like we were kind of trapped to use whoever their vendors were, and we want to be able to decide who we want to use as repair people. Having that option is very important to us. So we left them and started looking for somebody else and found America's 1st Choice.

The only thing that was a little strange was we dealt with a hot water unit issue just recently. I was out of state when the hot water heater went bad. My boyfriend was at the house, taking care of my pets. He’s in the construction industry and he had one of his plumbers come. Sometimes with units you don’t have a lot of time to wait for a plumber to come out and diagnose and do all of those things. I just called America's 1st after I got back. It was frustrating because between hiring the plumber and the product itself in Home Depot, we only got like a $150 out of it.

I was a little frustrated with some of the people on the phone. They kept asking, “Is it old unit?” I said, “I don’t know if it’s an old unit.” And then in the meantime, he had taken it. He’s got a huge truck and the unit was taken to one of his job sites to dispose of it. They were kind of going back and forth about, “Well, how old is the unit?” and “Let me get those numbers.” At the end of the day, we still ended up with 150 bucks. And that was a little tedious. But I’m still thankful that we did get something back. It just took awhile for the rebate.

We got an awful lot of phone calls from people saying, “Hey, we wanna close this up and we were just trying to get the information of the unit, and we’re trying to find the serial numbers and try to verify the age of the unit.” So, that was a little frustrating. But it is what it is and sometimes there are certain things you can wait on, there are certain things you can’t.

And then the other opportunity we had with them was we had the guts in the toilet go out multiple times, and we went out and replaced everything with our own money. We went a month and a half where we didn’t have a flushing toilet. And I finally called them and I put in a claim and the guys came out. They were fine. They just looked at it and said we need a new toilet. We can’t fix it because the California’s laws have changed with the flow of the toilet,” which was kind of I thought would happen.

We have three bathrooms and we replaced one toilet in my son’s room, and when they came, they noticed that the two toilets weren’t definitely in code any longer. So, they were awesome and they wrote it up, and sent us a check for $600. It was good that we didn’t get jammed up on a bunch of no-code toilets. I just renewed with America's First and I’d recommend them. It’s also really good that they give people the opportunity to renew for a longer period of time, so you’re not worrying about renewing every year. I’m paying $50-some a month for the renewal right now, which is nice that I don’t have to put down hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Natalie,

Thank you for your feedback, we truly appreciate your opinion and will use this to make our processes easier.

AFC Home Club

Original review: March 30, 2019

I had a warranty company before that I didn't like and I didn't plan to renew, so I went online and found the names of five or six companies, and I started investigating them. I had contact with a rep from America's First Choice Home Club and he listened to me. I talked about what was bothering me with my other company and what I did not need in a warranty company. Then, he explained how the AFC Club worked and I felt like if there was a problem, I had someone, at least, I could talk to. whereas with the former warranty company, I couldn't even get a supervisor to call me back.

I had a dishwasher go out the last time and from the time I called, AFC Club referred me to a company, but the referral got lost in the company's spam mail somehow and it took over a week to get that sorted out. The former company said they wanted to wait a week, so their tech who would be in town doing other work in the same community I'm in could come. However, the problem was he got sick and they canceled out on me twice. Eventually, I said that I wasn't going with them and that I was gonna get somebody on my own. So I looked for a local company in my town and got them involved.

It was about five to six weeks from start to finish, from the first initial referral all the way to when I got it fixed. When I renewed my contract with the guy at AFC, the rep said that they had changed some policies around, so I could get a referral the same day. I am hoping the next time I put in a referral, I am not gonna have to wait 48 hours even to get the name of somebody that I can try to arrange to have come out.

Years ago, I had a home warranty program with my manufactured home and I usually could get service personnel in one day. I could get a contractor out the same day I called and I didn't have to wait until something was breaking. I could get somebody to come out and they would do a check-up on the system for me. I live in one town and I work out of town, and my commute is two hours a day. If I there was anything that AFC could change, I would wish that they would consider allowing me to be able to call them and say, "Hey, can I have somebody come out from your list and have them inspect this once a year to make sure?" I have to now provide proof that I've had everything inspected, the big systems inspected according to the contract. I used to be able to just go ahead with my warranty and have those inspections done as a part of the warranty, and I wish it was still available.

I would absolutely have every system checked once a year, then, that would avoid things going because it is hard when you have to pay double. You are paying for a service call, then if they come out and they don't find anything, that is fine. Five months later, you have a problem, then you have to pay for a service call for them to come out and find out what the problem is, and that is expensive. Other than that, I am fine and I am waiting to see what happens with the next round to see how fast I can get a referral on the books and how fast I can get somebody out.

The warranty companies and the homeowners can band together to support a system where, instead of being active when something is broken, we can be proactive before things get broken. If the company was really wanting to up their game, that would be something to really seriously consider. I've looked online and it was amazing to me how many people were frustrated because they had to wait weeks to get services done and/or customer service looked like nobody wanted to talk to them. They couldn't even get the help they needed.

At least, when I called AFC's representative, I didn't get stonewalled and I didn't get told that they couldn't help me. I didn't get a refusal to give me to a supervisor, so I could at least leave a message. They, at one point, transferred it, so I could leave a message with the man with whom I renewed the contract with. On one hand, the last company was horrible. They were absolutely non-responsive. I called on a holiday weekend and they keep banker hours, Monday through Friday. I said, "Well, can you transfer me to a supervisor, so I can at least leave a message and have a callback?" They said, "No, we don't have anybody you could talk to." On the other hand, I've had very courteous service from the staff people when I've called AFC.

Melissa,

We are so glad to hear that you were happy with our reps. Dave is your account rep and we also have a huge Service Staff here for you!

AFC Home Club

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This is the first home that I purchased and the only reason that I was getting a home warranty for it was that the house had a couple of issues and the seller was able to ease my concerns by offering to pay for the first year of home warranty. I got to pick the policy and a budget for that was given as part of the seller’s agreement.

When I looked on the internet for a home warranty provider company, the first one didn’t offer the plan that I was looking for and America’s First Choice was the second one that I looked at. The main thing was that I have two AC units in my house and the other policies that I looked at wouldn’t cover two AC units. On the other hand, the reply that I got from AFC was very prompt and they offered coverage for my two AC units which was perfect because I live in Texas and in the summer heat here, I cannot be without air conditioning for too long. So, I purchased a warranty from them and the cost of the policy that I got was close to the budget that I was given.

Usually, when I submitted a claim, it was initially responded to quickly, but then getting in contact with a claims representative was sometimes frustrating. It took a little while for them to come back with all the right information and be able to answer my questions. Getting a work order started has usually been a week-long process, which could be frustrating. But for the most part, it has been all right because I expected that from just about any home warranty company.

The interactions that I’ve had with the contractors have been frustrating too because they were pretty good at fixing the issue once they knew what the issue was, but diagnosing the cause of the issue has not been a great point with them. We’ve had to call the tech out at least twice for one of our AC unit issues because when he first came out, he fixed what he thought might be the problem, then he came back to fix a different problem instead. So, he was not incredibly knowledgeable, but at least my problems have been resolved. It’s frustrating and a concern that the tech keeps coming out, but as long as the issue gets resolved in the end, then that’s really all that I care about. Typically, for a case like that, it took a week and a half from the time that I submitted the claim till the the problem was diagnosed and fixed. For one of our issues, it was almost two weeks, but for another issue that we had, it was five business days.

Regarding the quality of work that has been done, once the techs have fixed an issue, it stays fixed and we haven’t had recurring issues, at least for the couple of months that we’ve been in the house. We’ll renew with AFC. My expectation is that regardless of any misunderstandings that I may have with the company, I can expect that across-the-board and at the very least, I’ve got some experience with them, so I’ll remain with them until I get a recommendation that something else is better. It works out a little bit better for me and I really like that I can choose from a $75, $100 or $120 deductible on my policy as that gives me an illusion of control. That’s pretty nice because some other warranty companies that I looked at had a fixed plan and told me what my deductible would be.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your review. We are always striving to make sure service is expedited. Let us know if there is anything else we can do! Thank you.

Service Team

AFC Home Club

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I had a home warranty at first but I didn't like it. I got jerked around a lot so I was looking for something better and going with America's First Choice Home Club was kind of a fluke. I had read on it and I liked what I read so I decided to give them a try and they turned out to be pretty good. At first, I had a problem with one claim that I submitted but they resolved it somewhat.

I had a dryer go out on me and after I called AFC, the guy that they sent out told me that he hasn't been with America's Choice long and he gave me this bogus reason why he couldn't get the job fixed. He told me my dryer was too old and that AFC wasn't gonna cover it. He even called in to someone and told him that the dryer was too old. AFC would replace it if they had to but they were gonna replace it with the value that they think it has. That dryer cost me $1,100 and they wanted to give me $350. They would be able to get the same color for $350 but they would not be able to replace the dryer with the same style.

At that point, I had already paid the $60 fee. I called in and told AFC that I wasn't satisfied with what he told me. Back then, the dryer was right at about four years old. How were they gonna tell me it was too old? When I bought the house, all of my appliances were new. But they are eventually gonna get older and I was trying to figure out if I'm gonna be able to make a claim on them. If something happens to them, would I be told that they're too old? The lady who was here explained to me that she didn't know why the technician had said that.

After about three days of dealing with it, someone finally called me back. My wife and I talked then it was decided to have somebody else out to look at the dryer. I asked AFC if I would have to pay the $60 call-up fee again and they told me no. They said they would get someone out here to us but I didn't wanna run the risk of that same guy coming to my house. I really didn't want him back at my house. I asked if it would be covered if I got someone to fix the dryer. AFC said that as long as they were qualified technicians, it would be covered. I called someone out and they fixed the dryer. I submitted that receipt to America's First Choice and they took care of it with no questions. The second lady I spoke to was really professional about it. She apologized about what happened and they got it taken care of.

When I had issues with my washer, I called AFC to see if they could come out and fix it, and the representative took the time with me. She walked me through some things to see if we could get it working without having to send someone out. Well, the steps that she went through fixed the washer and it has been fine since then. That was about five months ago. I really had an enjoyable experience with America's First Choice. I love the payment plan too. You pay for 18 months then you wouldn't have to pay for the other 18 months. You can't beat that.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear about your experience with AFC!

Service Team

AFC Home Club

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I purchased a home in Dec and had not purchased a home warranty and after a good amount of research I decided to go with America's 1st Choice. After filling out an online quote I was contacted by a sales rep who was able to answer all my questions and email me the quote to think it over. Once I decided I was able to email the rep back and received my invoice (this was after about a week or so) for the original quote. I am hoping the process to report a claim is as easy as the sign up. I look forward to my 3 years with AFC.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

So far the representatives for AFC have been straightforward and helpful. We have not yet submitted a claim or have needed a technician of any sort. We do feel they are being honest with us. We feel they will be more trustworthy than Select Home Warranty company who we canceled due to not having even our first claim paid.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I tried to call Joe, my warranty specialist but he had just left for vacation so the gentleman that did help me, I cannot remember his name :(. Was very polite and quick to helping me renew. I appreciated his patience with me dealing with my children and finding my wallet. Thank you AFC :).

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Other providers are so aggressive that your phone rings before you even get to another web page. This is extremely annoying and unnecessary. I hate "hard selling" and refuse to purchase anything from a company that does this.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

A pleasure working with Maureen at AFC. She explained the program very well, was very nice, and when I had questions I was able to call back directly and speak with her. Thanks again Maureen for helping me today.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage exclusions

As is standard for most home warranties, America’s 1st Choice Home Club will not cover known or unknown pre-existing conditions. Your contract also won’t cover damage due to rust, corrosion or failure due to improper use.

There will also be per-item exclusions listed in your contract. These will consist of parts or components of otherwise covered items. Your home warranty should cover all parts and components that are essential to the core function of the system or appliance but may exclude non-essential items.

For example, on their Platinum plan, America’s 1st Choice Home Club covers built-in microwaves but doesn’t cover parts like doors, glass, lights, trays, clocks or shelves. You can find a full list of exclusions via AFC Home Club's sample contract.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage limits

If not otherwise specified in your contract, America’s 1st Choice Home Club sets a $2,000 per item coverage limit per contract term for access, diagnosis, repair and replacement of appliances. Certain items have other limits specified, ranging from $125 to $2,000 depending on the specific appliance or system that is in need of repair. HVAC systems have no coverage cap.

ItemCoverage limit
Interior plumbing$500
Faucets$150
Ductwork$250

America’s 1st Choice Home Club FAQ

Is a home inspection required by America’s 1st Choice Home Club?
No, a home inspection is not required to get a standard home warranty plan from America’s 1st Choice Home Club. If you wish to add optional coverage after your 30-day waiting period, an inspection may be required at your own expense.
Is there a cancellation fee for America’s 1st Choice Home Club?
If you cancel within 30 days there is no cancellation fee. For cancellation after 30 days, a $75 cancellation fee will apply.
Does America’s 1st Choice Home Club limit service requests?
There is no limit to the number of times you can request or have serviced within your contract term. There may be a limit to the dollar amount America’s 1st Choice Home Club will pay to repair a specific item per contract term.
How do I request a service from America’s 1st Choice Home Club?

You can submit claims online or over the phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To request service from America’s 1st Choice Home Club:

1. Open a new service request online or by calling America’s 1st Choice Home Club.
  2. A licensed technician will be assigned to the case within 24–48 hours.
  3. Contact your assigned technician to schedule your service for a convenient time.
  4. Pay your service call fee, and the repairs will be completed.

Is America’s 1st Choice Home Club worth it?

Offering several plans and fee options, along with 24/7 service, America’s 1st Choice Home Club is a reliable choice for home warranties. Though new policyholders can’t report a claim during the first 30 days, the company’s level of service, simple process and availability in most states make it a top contender in home protection. The option to choose between three different service fee costs is a nice perk, allowing people to choose what meets their budget best.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information