toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

I bought a home, moved into it and wanted something better than the home warranty company I had. I did a Google search and AFC had the best reviews. When I submitted a claim with them, it went smooth and the rep had it pushed through pretty quickly. The tech who came was a local company that I used a few times directly on my other needs. He was excellent.

I've always had a home warranty, but I never liked American Home Shield. I fired them and terminated their service years ago. AFC is certified and approved, and they're endorsed by the Better Business Bureau. They've been very professional, courteous and fast each time I submit a claim. They explain everything very well. A technician comes in within a couple of days and depending on my schedule, but they’re normally readily available within 24 to 48 hours. They’re very patient.

Overall AFC has been excellent because I bought this house April 1st, 2013, built from the ground up and they built the house so fast that I didn’t think I could’ve sued them for negligence. I made up my mind that whatever I replace, it would be top quality and it’d be a top-quality company that would install it. I've replaced four things so far, including the sump pump, but it wasn’t under the warranty so I had to pay by my own pocket. When January comes, I can renew my contract and I’m gonna add some more things on it. I've told my church about AFC, so I’ve been advertising for their company because I had good experiences.

I am not one to normally write reviews. I am a simple person who just wants to get what they pay for and I believe in Karma. I needed to tell other about this company so they too can experience what it is like to have someone stand up to their word, which is not normal these days. I called AFC about 2pm when it got real hot here about a week ago. My house was 79 degrees and my pregnant wife was about to have a fit. They had the tech at my door within 3 hours, be it this was a heat wave and he was still there that day! He was working on the unit for about 2 hours and it ended up needed quite the repair, when all was said and done what was asked of me? NOTHING ALL I PAID WAS $60.00 deductible and he was on his way. I couldn't believe how simple it really was. (Guess I am a skeptic.) I would highly recommend them to anyone I know, my house has been cool since.

My boyfriend and I have seven policies with AFC Home Club. When we submit a claim with them, the process is very smooth. They usually need the serial number of the unit, then they tell us if they are going to send a technician or if there is a fair price on the unit to be paid because they can pay off that price if it's an old unit. Their representatives were also very courteous on the phone. They send licensed and insured technicians who do their work but they need a larger base of vendors and contractors working for them. AFC is very prompt on payments, too and they've sent me a check twice to replace my unit. Overall, AFC is very good for homeowners. They are more convenient and friendlier than American Home Shield. Also, they serve a wider stretch than another company that I used in the past. So I've been very satisfied with AFC.

I haven't been real happy with America's First Choice Home Club. The reason you get it is so when your major appliances go out, that you get more than a box for them. Most of the representatives themselves have been very nice. But when getting a policy like that, they should make it very clear that if an appliance is X number of years old, there's a maximum of what they will cover. I had my air conditioner go out. So I had had it replaced because there was one part that had gone out, but they couldn't guarantee that the rest of it wasn't and they wouldn't have to turn around and come back again. Finally, the decision was made to replace it. But I got a $300 something and that's all they would pay.

I know that I included my freezer, my refrigerator, my pool, and my spa when I took that policy out. When my freezer went out. I called it in and they sent somebody out. It cost me $60 for them to tell me that the thermostat or whatever they call it was out. So then they called me and said that my insurance wasn't going to cover it and it didn't get included on the policy.

Then the capacitor on my other air conditioner went out and needed it replaced. In order to do that, I had to send in this year's maintenance. I sent them a copy of that and a copy of the estimate for whatever it was going to cost to replace. I told them that I need it replaced now, but they said they won't be looking at it until the next day because nobody was there to do it. The guy told me how much it would cost and I decided to pay and deal with it. I then called them and they said that they were going to send the $138 for the air conditioner, but there's no more coverage for it if it goes out because it's maxed out. That's ridiculous.

Anytime I need them, I get this paltry little sham that doesn't do squat. I'm done as far as my claims on them, and I will look around and find another company. When I had to replace my one air conditioner, they said that the capacitor and something else wasn't covered. The repairmen said that it's always covered. But then they covered it on my second one. So it doesn't make sense. In that respect, I'm very unhappy with them. As far as the people themselves are concerned, nobody has ever been really rude to me or cut me off or not return their calls. The people themselves are fine.

The technician who came out was wonderful. The same with the one who does my heating and my air conditioning check-up every year. The quality of the work done was great. Decker Construction is just wonderful. They're very efficient and were on time. They get in, get out, and they put the booties on so they're not going to get the floor dirty. They told me there was really no reason to have a yearly maintenance on the air conditioning unless we're having an issue. There's really nothing to check and yet the insurance company requires it and if we haven't had it within the year, they won't cover anything. Granted, they probably are buried in the insurance policy somewhere if you can read the fine print. But that should be something that should be told right up front. They're deceptive in how they sound when you first sign up with them and then it doesn't fit what they actually do. I would not recommend AFC.

Factual basis uncertain

Very dissatisfied with this company, I have had nothing but problems with them from the first day I needed to use their services. Most of the things that the salesman told me were inaccurate. Now I am waiting months to get my stove fixed, I can't get in touch with the original repairs company, so have asked them for another, they want me to pay another service fee. This is unacceptable. I would of given them a Zero Star but it is not offered. Don't waste your money.

Factual basis uncertain

I have a rental property and a regular property where I’ve had American Home Shield for as long as I can remember. But they continued to raise their rates, so I looked for someplace a little bit cheaper that offered the same benefit. America's 1st Choice's ratings looked good and they were cost-effective. It was comparable to American Home Shield as far as the services that they offered. But with AHS, if you call, you get through and they call you back right away which is not the case with AFC. The average wait time to place the call and get through to them before they ever pick the phone is about 20 minutes and that's regardless of what it's for. But the people themselves have been fine once you get somebody on the line.

Also, the technicians have been great. I've used several of them when I had American Home Shield. I've used Blue Caribbean Pool and Sea Shell Pool and both of those and their quality of work were fine. But one time, I called for them and some people shortly identified themselves as coming from Georgia trying to collect $60. I told them that I had already paid my deductible and that they were responsible for the balance because the item that was in question should have been covered according to the contract but I never heard from them anymore.

Then, the last call that I had, I had both of my toilets in my bathroom not working. I told them that and the lady said they're not an emergency service. I said that I understand but there's gotta be some sense of urgency placed around that. But I never heard back from them and I ended up calling a plumber and take care of the situation myself. A guy called me to see if I still need the service but I canceled the call at that point because I wasn't gonna waste 20 minutes. I never felt that they were helping on those times and I never felt really comfortable with that. I don’t think they’re very service-oriented company. Therefore, I would not recommend them, nor would I be using their service again when my contract runs out.

I was looking for a new home warranty and AFC Home Club had recommendations in their website, so I got them. I have submitted a claim online and their website was very easy to use. It worked for me. I got a response in within 12 hours because I did it on a weekend. It was a hot water heater that went out, came back on, and then didn't work for a month. It is not an emergency. But if it is, I will call them. They answer on weekends but I'm not going to take advantage of that. So, it took a couple of days before I received a confirmation on who was coming out.

The young man they sent out impressed me. He explained everything to me and walked me through the process. He stayed until it was certain that the problem will not be the same. I was also impressed with the turnaround time. It was a good experience which doesn't happen every time you have someone come out. It was very easy. One experience doesn't speak for everything but I'll give them a chance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

I used to have a home warranty at my other house and my wife and I talked about it. It's a wonderful thing and it’s worth doing. One good repair pays the whole bill. The AFC salesman was very professional and I liked him a lot. The guy gave me a great deal, so I got them. The bearings on my washer were making a noise that sounded like a jet plane when it was on spin. AFC sent out this rinky-dink company and the guy didn't know what he was doing. I talked to three other people and they said I have to put the whole shaft in at once. I YouTubed it for the guy 'cause he didn't know how to do it. He took his time, but he got it done and the washer was quiet when he left. Three weeks later, it started making the little noise again and I knew it was done wrong.

The washer is six or seven years old, but it's a Maytag Bravo, and there's nothing wrong with it. I told the owner, an extremely nice guy, that I really want to get it fixed properly and he explained that the best he can do is give me $200 when I buy a washer and send him a copy of the receipt. I looked for brand new ones and it’s $500 and change. I kept the washer and asked when I’d get the 200 bucks. He told me not to worry and said he didn’t care if it's three or six months or a year. I got his personal number and he told me to call him when I’m ready. AFC got the problem fixed, but I told them the companies they use are horrible and to never send them out again. I'm very patient and they're nice guys but they didn't know what they were doing. AFC sent out another guy who was terrific, but they wouldn't pay it. All in all, service was good, not great.

It's been a little bit frustrating for some of the things I've had to claim with AFC. There was a bit of a misunderstanding between what was covered and what wasn’t for my hot water heater earlier this year. When I phoned up, I clarified with the agent what was covered and he told me one thing. Then the technician came out, did the estimate, and then went over it so that it got sent back to the claims department with AFC. They phoned me up and told me I wasn’t covered, which was contradictory to what they told me before. I told them to listen to the recording in the previous conversation and the rep got back to me and said I was misinformed.

They ended up giving me a $200 goodwill payment, which I have not yet received. I still used the technician they sent, but ultimately, it was a mis-sell, so I was out of pocket with more money than I expected. The technician was okay, but the install had a leaking valve, which then damaged my ceiling in the living room. The problem was he overstressed the pipework. I complained about it and the contractor themselves came out, replaced the valve and charged me more money for it because they were essentially saying it was like that when they found it, which it wasn’t, but I was in no position to argue. I just wanted it dealt with so it wasn't a great experience.

Generally, when things are installed properly, they're fine, but there may be a little bit of lack of concentration every now and then. Also, the technician they're using is fine when they turn up but impossibly difficult to get a hold of. If you make a claim over the weekend, somebody takes it down and it gets held off until Monday, which isn't terrific or helpful. I don't think I'll be renewing with AFC this year and I'll probably move to another warranty company.

I've never used insurance before but I was going to buy a home and wanted a warranty. The reviews for America's 1st Choice Home Club were great. There was another company with pretty great reviews too, but two things stood out about America's 1st Choice. The deductible for when somebody comes out was 10 to 20 bucks less than the other company. Plus, they covered something with roofing where the other company didn’t. It was so minimal but it was more of a true warranty. And when I called them a few times whenever I was interested in getting their products, the people have always been helpful in explaining the warranty coverage.

I've used America's 1st Choice Home Club once we got a plumber out to fix the issue so that was good. However, submitting a claim is still confusing to me. I just had an issue with a toilet leakage and I called them up. Whenever I call and talk to somebody, they are always real good about that and that was perfect. But they told me a plumber would give me a call in 24 to 48 hours and it was 48 hours exactly. I called them to report the toilet leak about 4:45 one afternoon and exactly 48 hours later, at 4:45 two days later, they called me back. Now, we just used up another day and I expected it to be a little faster. But at the end of the day, they called within their 48-hour timeframe and there's nothing else we could do.

The plumber that came out was good. He did his job and I'm fine with the quality of his work. However, he said there was saturation in the wall and it's a great amount so I thought I had to keep going. I was concerned with the amount of water that went into the wall and I know water leaks are different. He called out this company EcoDry and that company was here before he even left. It's great that he had the connection to this company that was going to remove the wall and dry it out, but I'm really questioning if they overdid what they should've done. I asked them for a breakdown to see what they were billing the insurance and they're very overpriced. EcoDry billed to the home insurance and it's still all being worked on right now.

Here I am, three weeks later and I'm still sitting without full use of that bathroom. My bathroom is still torn up and there's no vanity or mirror, so you can't even wash your hands. I don’t know if that referral that he made was necessary and it's more complicated than what it should have been. I almost wish that he would have just fixed the leak issue and that would have been that.

Being a member of this home club, I was looking through my pamphlet when all this happened and I'm actually eligible for a $25 gift card out to a restaurant. That’s a perk of being a member, however I didn't know how to do it. But I'm overall pleased with my purchase. I'd still recommend them but my hesitation would be that they may stretch out to 48 hours, so others have to be prepared.

I looked at three companies and AFC's ratings were the best. However, the one problem I have had is at the outset. It's probably my fault for not reading all of the details so I get impatient. But I wasn't really made aware of the fact that I needed to have a maintenance contract that's been in existence for two years before there would be any possible claims specifically for some of the major systems in the house like the HVAC. I specifically asked them about the furnace and it was the reason why I got the warranty in the first place because we actually had to replace at some point. It was a very big deal.

They only sent out a technician once and he was great. When I had a plumbing situation and when a section of the roof blew off, it’s kind of short notice type of stuff and I needed people to come right away but AFC couldn't send anybody out in time so I had to find them myself. So this type of setup is not really conducive to acts of nature.

I also had to reach out to customer service a couple of times to basically understand what would and wouldn't be covered in a particular situation and to confirm what I had been told by. Then sometimes there’s a little bit of communication mix-up in terms of someone will say one thing and then I’ll call back to confirm. And then the next person I get would say either that was not necessarily true or there were some changes.

My wife and I have multiple properties and we decided that it may be in our best interest to take up an additional warranty if they need a repair. I did a research and some comparison and I saw what America's 1st Choice was offering and it was compatible to what I wanted to spend. When I initially purchased the claim, I asked for the package that would provide me the most coverage. They told me that I had a high package, but I didn't have the package and that I could spend some additional money to get some more coverage. I was under the impression that I had a package that would pretty much cover everything, but maybe I misunderstood. A couple of times I have submitted claims, I would call and they would respond right away. But even with the description of the claim, they would automatically say it's not covered.

The other thing is that before anyone would come out, I try to find out how they would describe what the problems were so that it wouldn't be excluded and simply based off of my wordings but just based off of my description of what's going on, it's automatically excluded. I'm not a repairman but if I could treat it myself, I wouldn't hire them or spend any money. I definitely didn't appreciate that.

One time, we had a stove at a rental property that broke. We called in the claim and it took two or three hours to finally have a number of a repairman. The tech asked me to text him the tenant information which I did but three or four days later, she hadn't heard from them. I had to reach out to him and when he eventually went out, there was nothing he can do. He could fix it but the cost to fix it would be as much as it would cost to get a new stove. I get that and that's the decision that my wife and I realized that we may have to make. They would pay me $179 which would go towards the replacement cost of a new stove. It took so long to get someone to come out and service the stove which wasn't covered and they asked for a receipt as proof that we purchased a new stove. What difference does that make if they're only gonna give me $179?

Also, I didn't understand why I had to go through the process of sending the proof of purchase to get the money back for something that I paid for. I didn't appreciate the fact that I had to go through all of that but I gave them proof to get the $179 and it wasn't processed in a timely manner. It required additional calls from me and took a couple of weeks before that came in. I don't want to paint it like they weren't doing their job but I think it's the product. The customer service is okay and I thought they followed up. But I'm certainly not gonna allow this one experience to prevent me from trying the home warranty again but I'm not gonna purchase one from them. It's very disappointing.

Factual basis uncertain

I was trying to find a new company to work with and the person from America's 1st Choice Home Club seemed to be very knowledgeable over the phone. However, when my property manager called and submitted the claim, nobody got back to her. She finally came to me and I had to get involved in it. We did get it resolved and they came out, but my experience had not been good. I don't want to do business this way so I just want to cancel it. I had just called the other day and the rep told me that I have to submit a certified letter to do so.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was mistaken in taking out a policy that would help me with simple electrical issues. I have a burned out outlet and will not be able to use this policy to help me with this issue. The receptionist said that this not covered because the part is very inexpensive to purchase at Home Depot but I am not an electrician so now it will cost me over $100.00 to have a technician come out to repair my outlet. Boy was I stupid to take this plan. I'm not an electrician that is why I got this plan. I have to read the fine print clearer. I thought I read the reviews and picked the right plan. Next time I will read better. If I was or had a electrician I would not need this plan.

Factual basis uncertain

I’m really upset with America's 1st Choice Home Club. They’re screwing me over and I want my money back. I signed up for a three-year warranty because they kind of suckered me into buying three years of being in the AFC Home Club. They also gave a discount if I was a member for a longer period of time. After everything was situated, I filed a claim for some repair work for a heating unit. They were not willing to cover the full amount because I was still in some window or a 60 day realm. That was the first thing I had to deal with and I covered whatever cost that I had to get it repaired.

Then a month later, I had an A/C problem. We called and their tech came over. He said, "There seems to be a leak in your A/C. There's no Freon left." He said the AFC Home Club does not cover leak check. I called up AFC Home Club to find out what they cover. The lady on the phone said that they do not cover the leak test, but repair done thereafter is covered. There are certain elements and parts that they will not cover. I said, "Okay, that's fine. I'll go ahead and cop out the leak test." I paid $300 for a leak test and after that, the technician went back and told AFC Home Club that he did the following elements that are parts of the A/C unit that needs to be replaced. If not those, then the whole unit needs to be replaced.

After that, I have not heard from AFC Home Club. I've reached out to them a few times and it was very hard. There's one person in particular that I've been trying to reach out to because she's the one that is the decision maker. I even explained to her that one of the ladies on the phone, who she knows, said that all these things will be covered. She came back and they're just making excuses after excuses about not covering the repair work. Right now, I already spent around $5,600 and I had to get a new unit because AFC Home Club wasn't prepared to pay for any of it. The only thing they're willing to pay me for is 3 to 5 pounds of Freon and that's it.

They don't want to cover for anything else and that's not why I bought this home insurance. I bought it to help me pay for issues if I ever had any in my house. AFC Home Club is really pathetic. The last few months have been very difficult for me. I plan on making a complaint to the Better Business Bureau and even talking to an attorney in Atlanta to file a complaint against them. I think the company is a scam. They have not delivered what they promised. My insurance coverage only started early this year. If they're not going to give me my money back, then I will surely go after them for the amount owed for punitive damages.

America's 1st Choice Home Club

Emily, you can request service on our website here:

Original review: July 30, 2017

Submitting a claim to AFC was easy but it would be nice if there was an online way to submit them. Other than that, we've had great technicians come out and the quality of work has been good so far. Overall, the experience we have with AFC Home Club is what we'd expect.

I was worried about the appliances and things in my house. The cost to repair them is expensive. AFC Home Club was rated one of the best and I got them. When I submit claims, it's been fine overall. When I had a problem with my water heater that was 11 years old, I dealt with Ashley who was very good. She followed up and emailed me information.

The way it works with AFC was I paid the $60 service call which was like my pocket expense and they had sent a guy who looked at it. He told me it would be $2,000 for a new heater to install, which was ridiculous because a brand new one that was top of the line was like $900. He told me it's $1,000 to install. I told the guy to forget it and that I was not doing the work. AFC refunded me the $60 'cause they sent this guy and they said they're not gonna use him again 'cause he was a bad guy. AFC doesn't want someone to get ripped off so that was good.

Another thing was because the hot water heater was so old, they didn't do a warranty or replaced that one so they gave me $150 for a new one instead. I should have read more details about what the replacement is. I read all about the fixing of it, but I didn't realize that if they had to replace it, they wouldn't cover the full cost. I purchased the hot water heater on my own and I sent AFC a copy of the receipt showing the purchase. The lady said that it could take up six weeks to get a check, but it took me about three weeks. They processed everything very quickly. Dealing with the people was good. The only bad thing was when you call on the weekends, it's hard to get somebody. I have to leave a message and tell them they have to call me back.

We’ve used a different a different provider but we weren’t too happy with them. We looked for home warranty stuff and we found AFC Home Club online. Then we submitted a claim and our experience wasn't very good. I had to do it instead of them having it done. There was no technician on a service call. AFC wouldn't call them and they said they don't cover the technician on a garbage disposal.

We were selling a home. I researched on the internet about home warranties and America's First Choice Home Club was ranked in the top 3 of a website that I saw. Their prices were good and affordable especially with the 15% discount I was given. I also like that their call out was $60. Also, the reps had been very friendly, too.

My biggest thing was that we bought it so that it would be active at closing and the new owner wouldn't have to have the 30 days. I asked three times if the warranty's transferable and the people from AFC said, "Yes." Then when I went to transfer it over to the new owner, they said that there's going to be a $50 charge transfer fee, and they never told me about that. The lady said that it's in the contract and sure enough, I found it in there. That was the only thing that I was not pleased with as I would've liked to have been told, "Yes. It's transferable but it costs $50 to do so." Other than that, the overall experience was easy and I would definitely recommend AFC. And in fact, we bought a house and bought the home warranty from them for the new house, as well.

America's 1st Choice Home Club

Thank you for letting us know the technician was helpful and your service was in a timely manner. AFC Home Club is in place for items which have failed after the membership was purchased, not prior or during the waiting period. We cannot cover an item which failed previous to the membership being instated. These items had occurred prior, therefore, there is a maximum limit set forth for brand new members in the first active 30 days in these cases. After this time all normal limits apply for new failures.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I've had another home warranty in the past but AFC Home Club is a little cheaper. Submitting a claim with them was fine, but I wasn't aware of a cap during the first month so that was an unpleasant surprise. They said that it is in my contract but I didn't read it carefully. They also disallowed two other claims that I had. The technicians, on the other hand, were fine, as well as the quality of work performed.

I did market research of various home warranty companies and I went with America’s 1st Choice. Submitting a claim with them was seamless and the claims representatives were very knowledgeable and professional. I had very good interactions with them. As for the technicians, it hasn't been a positive experience with them. The first technician who came demanded to be paid before he performed the service and he was very rude to the claims adjuster or the claims department.

The second technician who came, for a toilet repair and when I needed to get my rebuild done, said he could get my toilet replaced, but then he would tell the insurance company that he would file a claim for a rebuild. I didn’t get a good sense from him and he was literally admitting to committing fraud. I don't think America's 1st Choice has a good vetting process when it comes to their technicians and vendors. But this is only the first year that I've had this contract and I’m sure that if I have other issues, I’ll have positive interactions with the technicians. And the home warranty company was responsive to my concerns and needs. I like the fact that they put their clients first. So overall, I've had a positive experience with America's 1st Choice.

Factual basis uncertain

They are not communicating via email because it is a document. They call you. They are not servicing anything. I called two times. First they send someone who was not plumber to fix plumbing problem. They refuse to pay for repair. I paid deductible for nothing, problem not fixed. Second time was my fridge. Without coming to see the problem someone called to offer me 150$. My fridge is about 2000$ value. Pure fraud and scam. Don't sign with them. Save yourself expenses and runaround. If they have negative rating it would be them!

I had been with another company prior to AFC Home Club. I decided to do something different and heard about AFC Home Club thru a friend. I had some washer and dryer issues and one of the appliances was replaced. Submitting a claim took a lot of return calls though. They logged in each time I called since there was a different person on the line.

When I had an issue with my heat pump, AFC was wanting maintenance records. I've had the heat pump for about 19 years and it never gave me any problem. I've never had to have a lot of maintenance done on it as it worked fine. I had it checked but never had any repairs. AFC ended up prorating what they would reimburse me which was about $250. A supervisor called and told me it's because of the age of the unit. Two people they picked who I had look at it both concurred that it was an older unit.

I did a two-year plan when I joined and paid all the premiums upfront. I paid about $1400 for 2 years. I was really disappointed that I was only given $250 towards my heat pump replacement. They’re very expensive and that didn't help offset the cost of a new heat pump. If it had been a refrigerator or a dishwasher, it wouldn't have mattered. I'm holding on to a thread before my unit finally does stop working altogether. I was able to have it kind of patched up. I hope to save enough money to replace it. And once I do, I won't need a home warranty because that's my major appliance there. All my other ones are basically new appliances.

America's 1st Choice Home Club

AFC spent 14 man hours and 30 days attempting to help this member with their plumbing leak, We sent out 3 technicians and each found something different in the home, these findings were all failures, but never seemed to be the exact problem. This member ended up getting an HVAC technician to the home and the AC was leaking causing the issue. This is well beyond AFC's control, the homeowner called in a plumbing issue. Although, she did have multiple issues within the home's plumbing, a plumber does not automatically think to look at an AC unit, just as the plumbers she called did not review her AC. We are truly sorry the experience was stressful but homes can sometimes be hard to diagnose.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I bought a three-year Gold contract with these people. I never needed any repairs throughout those three years and when my contract was about to end a salesperson called me and asked if I wanted to renew it for another three years. I said sure. After I had been a customer with them for almost five years I called them for the very first time when I was having a plumbing problem. I was getting a leak coming from the ceiling of one of our lower floors through an indoor pipe and we couldn't figure out where or what pipe the leak was coming from. I called America's 1st Choice and they told me I should look around my home area to find a local plumber. I asked why they weren't doing it, because I thought that was their job. Weren't they the ones who were supposed to send someone who participated with AFC? I thought all I had to pay was $60.00 for the plumber to inspect what was wrong and they would pay to repair it.

They told me I had to pay the full amount after the repair was done and then they would decide if and how much they would reimburse me when the work was done. I asked if they would reimburse me if the plumber wasn't a member of the warranty company and they told me no. I told them to look for someone themselves and send that person to me. They sent me someone who came and looked through a hole with a cover which we made in our ceiling, because we had plumbing issues before and it would be a bit easier to see the pipes and not have to break a wall each time we needed a plumber. A guy came, looked through the hole, couldn't see anything and left five minutes later. I called AFC and told them to send someone else. I refused to pay the $60.00. This first guy came and they told me they would not charge me for that visit.

Then they sent me an electrician who did plumbing on the side. This moron told me that it was coming from a standing shower in my upstairs bathroom and he thought the leak was due to the cracked grout we had on the floor of the shower and that the leak wasn't actually coming through a pipe. I called them and told them what this guy said, and they refused to pay for anything. They said that wasn't covered. We then sent a real plumber ourselves, but they said they didn't participate with AFC because they knew they didn't trust them and knew they wouldn't pay them. They would only take our money to get the work done. These guys found where the leak was coming from and got the job done correctly, only it cost us over $1,500.00 to get it done. AFC wouldn't reimburse us a dime.

A few months later we got another leak from inside the wall close to the floor by a sink. My husband broke the wall where the leak was coming from and saw two pipes were disconnected. Only this time it looked like it was due to corrosion. I called AFC and they told me again they wouldn't pay for it, because corrosion wasn't covered, so I called the last people we had and they fixed the job, only this time it cost us over $1,800.00. I had used other warranty companies before and had plumbing issues in the past. All of those other warranty companies paid for our plumbing problems. This is the only warranty company that did not give us anything. Once this contract ends, I will never use these people again.

I was purchasing a new house and the home warranty was part of my realtor's deal. AFC Home Club had a coupon and I had a certain dollar amount that I could spend so I was able to get the top package within my price range. I submitted a claim for my disposal that broke but when I called, they told me that my policy didn't go into effect until the 13th of July and I had to wait 30 days. It was annoying because after I called, I found an email that said my policy went into effect on June 9th. I went without a disposal for an entire week. But other than that, the customer service was fine. They mailed me a new disposal and I didn't have a technician come out.

Factual basis uncertain

I am very disappointed. No one explained the process for claims or what the criteria was or is. I understand now but it should have been explained when I purchased the coverage. Be very careful before getting this coverage... not what you will expect when putting in a claim. I saw this at the start of my review and completely agree... this is my personal experience forward.

Was lied to about what was covered, and how long the wait was, and when I checked into cashing out was told to wait and see at least if a partial amount could be covered on a plumbing issue and then if not, I could still cash out. When the damage was actually far worse than expected was informed that since it was over a course of time it was not covered. I opted to cash out and was guaranteed the full amount and that the 75.00 customary amount kept back would not be applied. The refund is 199.00 short. I paid 495.00 and was refunded only $296.25. I am going to work on getting the full amount and why should I have to fight so hard for what was promised to me.

Horrible experience with first claim. Our real estate agent purchased a home warranty with AFC for us as housewarming gift. Our warranty was in place for 6 weeks when we moved into our home and had an HVAC tech come out to service our unit. The A/C was fully functioning the day prior to the service call and up until this day. The tech informed us the unit had just died and asked if we had a home warranty policy as this would be covered under such a policy. We called AFC and after the tech answered a few questions, the customer service representative put me on hold for a while.

She then came back and told me the claim was denied because "This is a long-term failure." I explained that we had just moved in and the unit had been functioning and this was the maintenance call that resulted in learning the system failed. I just called again to appeal the decision and request partial reimbursement for a $6000 unit and was told "there will be no full nor partial reimbursement because there was no record of preventative maintenance prior to filing a claim." The policy essentially says they can deny any claim for any reason with no recourse. In other words, it is a useless policy. I'm just glad we didn't pay for the policy that doesn't cover anything.

America's 1st Choice Home Club

We are sorry to hear the member is not pleased. This member filed 2 requests 1 day outside of her waiting period. These items were leaking. Leaks do not happen overnight, however, the Service Department advised her of her maximum limits and that we would still provide her with that limit. The member wanted a technician out. We advised that we would try and assist her in this, but maximum limits do apply. Unfortunately, all technicians were 2-3 weeks booked and the member did not want to wait, therefore we offered her the maximum limits again and she asked to cancel the plan. We advised her per terms of steps to take. The refund will be minus time used but we are happy to waive the cancellation fee as a goodwill.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I recently signed up with company in May. In June I discovered my washing machine was leaking. I contacted customer service. I was told that I was past my 30 day waiting period but since I am new there was another waiting period. I stated it was not told to me when I agreed to get this warranty. They went on to explain that I only had $150 towards repairs with a $60 fee. Later on I was given order # **. I was given the contact info to a repair company. I called the number, left a voicemail. They called back within 10 minutes. Once I explained my situation, I was told they no longer accepted third party referrals and they only accepted COD only. I called AFC they seemed surprised. I was put on hold while they called the company. Afterwards I was told it was some sort of mix up and I would be referred to another company.

Later that day someone called me from AFC apologizing and stating that they would search for another company. I was asked if I knew any technicians, which I don't. I called AFC yesterday, they claimed no one was answering their calls or responding to their voicemails. I called AFC today. I was told they have called 14 to 15 companies but they don't come this far. I was asked again if I knew any technicians, I responded, "No, this is why I purchased a home warranty plan". I inquired about canceling my contract but the rep told me he wasn't sure how I could that but to write the company. I am very very disappointed with this company. If no one can find a company to repair my washer, I want to cancel my contract without any repercussions because this contract is of no use to me.

Factual basis uncertain

I was misled during the sales call as to the items that were part of the coverage and that was the only reason I decided to go with ACHC. Of course when it came to file a claim, I was denied as the item not being covered. The manager, before listening to the original call, told me I might be hearing something or mistaking them with someone else. Why don't you listen to the call before offending my memory and hearing?!

America's 1st Choice Home Club

We are sorry to hear this member was unhappy, but her failure was a pre-existing issue which occurred before she was a member with AFC. This member sent over paperwork to show the long-term failure of this unit along with the poor condition. AFC cannot be expected to fix a unit which was already deemed to be failing before their plan is active. This would be like purchasing car insurance to cover a wreck that already took place. We are not here to fix items that are already failing prior to purchase. Her refund has been processed back to the form of payment she used, thank you for your time.

Original review: June 23, 2017

Went with a new home warranty company, one that offered warranty for PLUMBING, HEAT and AC ONLY, as my old warranty was expiring 4/1/17. Read reviews, seemed rather positive, gave them a call. Lots of emails, lots of phone calls, pushing their services. Finally signed up, had to wait one month to start service, signed up 3/7/17. Started service, advised via contract had to get an inspection of HVAC, etc., as proof items worked, if I ever had an issues during my year of service. OK, so, switching from previous company to new company, OK, I get it. So, I paid for a s/c for my HVAC. Advised by specific company I CALLED that HVAC needed to be replaced, they wouldn't even update it, or even "limp" it along, needed replacement, given paperwork as proof, and I PAID FOR THE APPOINTMENT.

Well, I contact AFC, told, "We're going to send the EXACT company back to your house, you have to pay them AGAIN, and we'll only pay to "limp" your HVAC unit, not replace". Excuse me? I cancelled my service. I PAID FULL PRICE for a new HVAC system. I had to pay a penalty to cancel, because you have to wait 30 days for service to start ($75), you lose even more money, because they work their magic on your "refund", and I wasn't happy that I had to follow-up with them as to where my refund was, at almost six weeks! They took my money fast enough. I can NEVER recommend this company, and anyone is welcome to contact me for all my proof, as well as names of who I spoke to, etc. I now have a 10-year warranty with the company that installed my new HVAC equipment, my bills have dropped 50-55% each month, and I will never sign up for a home warranty again. Everyone warned me, and I didn't listen... totally my error.

This is a huge rip off! Made my first claim and it was denied...nothing. Not paying for anything. Because the technician put on the report for the hot water heater "massive corrosion" they now will not cover my hot water heater. They said I did not do the annual maintenance on the hot water heater... Well it's 13 years old and I've only lived there for 6 years...home was built in 2004 so it's the original hot water heater. The corrosion he was referring to was on the top of the tank on the hot water heater.

This company is just a huge ripoff. They have so many loopholes out of paying for anything you might need repaired that the only time it will work for them to reimburse you is if it's a new item that has just gone bad. Otherwise you're not getting a dime from them. Save your money and repair things on your own. You will be far better ahead than dealing with America's 1st Choice Home Club. This type of company should be barred from doing business. All they are doing is pocketing people's money and doing nothing in return. HUGE RIP OFF. Don't get a warranty through America's 1st Choice Home Club.

Factual basis uncertain

I was tired of AHS raising my rates and my copays, so I jumped ship to AFC in February. BAD mistake. They left two items that I paid extra for off my contract and refuse to send me paperwork to correct it. Then my dishwasher stopped working and I submitted a claim June 1. They tried to claim it was under factory recall (a 10 year old Maytag? Really?), then after keeping me on hold for more than an hour, admitted that it wasn't under recall. Once they received the repairman's estimate ($260), they are only willing to pay a $100 "goodwill payment" to "either repair or replace" (new Maytags cost $500-$600).

When I asked how they expect to stay in business by refusing to follow their own contract, I was told that their function is to ASSIST in repairs, not pay for the repairs completely. Why did I just spend $800 for a year's contract if all I wanted was partial "assistance" instead of my claims covered? I can't wait until my contract runs out with them and pray nothing big breaks down in the meanwhile - they obviously have zero intent of paying for repairs OR replacement cost, as they advertise. I told them I am horrified and disappointed in their company and I will be spreading the word that they do not do what they are contracted to do. Shockingly unprofessional. 14 days and still trying to get my first repair.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Profile