2.90/5
  • 1 star
Based on 152 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides cost-effective, extended home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect themselves against the unforeseen expenses of home upkeep and repair. With three plans to fit your budget and needs, and a 24/7 claims center, AFC Home Club has you covered.

BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 15, 2018

381 America's 1st Choice Home Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I purchased the systems plan from AFC for $400 which allegedly covered the water heater in addition to the HVAC unit. The salesperson was so nice and told me how awesome their coverage was: "Absolutely sir, this plan will replace your HVAC unit, appliances, and everything!" When my water heater began leaking, I called AFC and received no response. I called again 2 days later and a technician was dispatched. He said the water heater had failed and needed to be replaced. After paying a $70 service fee AFC told me that the plan did not cover the water heater "tank". When my HVAC failed they said that my unit was too old and did not have any "cash value" so they could not cover the cost. AFC sells junk. Pay $400 and they send you a contract filled with ambiguities and loopholes so they don't have to pay. It's a scam to charge fees to homeowners so they can deny any claim - a total rip off!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
No response received
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I believe this company is a scam. I put in a request for service nearly a week ago 12/31/17. I had to call back a couple days later and they gave me a repair company that they had contacted to do the work. I called the repair company and they said they did not work for home warranty companies. I called AFC Home Club back and they said they would assign another repair company. I called back the next day and they gave me another repair company they said they had contacted. I called the repair company and they said they did not work for home warranty companies. I called AFC Home Club back and they put me on hold and never came back. As of 1/4 2018 no resolution to my problem.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Still waiting for the $25.00 referral fee. I paid for both my policy and my daughter’s policy (Alison **. Irvine, Ca.) and was told I would get a referral fee. A plumbing repair request was submitted for a leak in the piping of a garbage disposal at my daughter’s condo. A new garbage disposal was received but not needed. A plumber came out and did nothing to repair the leak. He told us to get some object and wedge it under the leaking pipe to hold the joint together. A call was placed to AFC but nothing was done. A service call was placed today for a toilet that was not flushing. For such a simple job to repair I was told my Gold plan would not cover it. I’m presently considering canceling both policies.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

AFC would not cover the issue with my AC unit which was diagnosed to have a leak in the evaporator coil. There is a repair service record from within a year on the unit in question that says that the unit was inspected and there were no leaks to be found. AFC claims that this request is not a preventative maintenance and therefore per their policy I did not have a preventative maintenance done on the unit and therefore denying coverage. There is no damage or dust on the coil that points to the coil being maintained poorly. Rusting of the evaporator coils is a common issue and happens over a period of time. There is no preventative maintenance that would prevent rusting as any AC tech would tell you.

This is just a shady company which looks for loopholes to get out of providing coverage as much as possible. When asked how a warranty provider can choose not to cover something, their response is that they are a "home club" not a warranty provider. Which is basically another legal loophole that they are using to swindle their way out of providing the service they are supposed to provide. They also have a 30 day blackout period when the policy is initiated where they take your money and clock starts as far as membership goes, but they do not cover anything at the time. I have requested them to cancel my policy but they make this very difficult as well by making you send a letter by mail, and they will start the cancellation only on the date they receive this letter. Shady company with shady practice to get out of paying for coverage. Really bad experience and I will never go back to them.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Worst rip off. Don't be fooled by BBB ratings. I have had nothing but issues with this company. Read all the majority of reviews about how bad the customer service is! They always find a reason not to pay for issues that arise and they make you wait more than 48 hours to return your call. Oh, and best yet, twice I was apologized to for their own people forgetting to put in my info for original claims. And they won’t refund your money for service period if you’re not happy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Called to have heater diagnosed. Was not able to get a technician out to my house. Told me to find a tech myself and call ACC with diagnosis. Not happy with this company. Would NEVER use them or recommend them to anybody!!

Resolution response: Dec. 11, 2017

after long back and forth on whether the touch pad is covered by the insurance or not, the AFC has agreed to repair the microwave.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Worst representation you could get, I was in gold service and microwave broke, AFC send out the technician to check the microwave, the guy reported what was wrong with the microwave and then AFC gave me option to get the platinum that would cover the microwave, so I got that. AFC then send the technician again knowing what the technician has already reported them and then came out that AFC does not cover keypad on the appliques. I have no idea which appliance in this age comes without keypad or even how to use a microwave without it. They charged extra $50 to bump the service and now I am told that if I cancel with them I would be charged $75 for cancellation and would only get the prorated rate back. SO they get your money and give you no service whatsoever.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I liked America's First Choice Home Club pricewise so I chose them over other providers. There weren't a lot of steps in submitting a claim through their website and it was easy to do. Their rep was very nice and gave me all the info I needed at the time. I had three calls with them and everything was fine. Their techs explained what happened to the equipment and everything they would do. They were professional enough. It was a very good experience and I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

America's First Choice Home Club has good ratings and they allow us to potentially choose our own vendors. I submitted a claim and it was relatively easy. That was after the one-month probation period but I was told I would qualify for $100 to $150 because it was within the second month. I first called and they told me what documentation I needed. I submitted whatever they asked for then, after I got the new one replaced, I submitted the bill for it. But I had to pay and enjoy all of it out-of-pocket. They showed me that in the contract, there was a ramped-up period before you are able to get the full reimbursement.

Their reps were courteous but they should have looked at the fact that I was only there for two months and I would only qualify for a very small amount. I would have appreciated them for that. Also, there was no action from America's First Choice to pay. From an experience perspective, they did sour it a bit, but I'll ask for the payment again. Other than that, the technician was someone that I'd asked for and my interaction with him was easy.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I always get a home warranty and I normally work with American Home Shield or America's Home Warranty but I've had bad experiences in the past, so I'm always looking for someone fresh and new. I tried America's First Choice and when I placed my service call, I found it a little odd that it took a while to get a fast response from them. It was not like with the other companies who were pretty quick and where I could even place a service call online. I called America's First Choice on a Thursday and they took the information, then I had to call back either Sunday to follow up because I never heard or got an email from anybody. After that, the local company got a hold of me. I got the service on the afternoon of Sunday and the service that was performed by the technician was great.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I have two rental homes and our own home so I have always had some home warranty. But I wanted to do some more shopping around and I found America's First Choice Home Club when I was doing a search. When signing up for their insurance, they're very nice. But later when I had claims, the response wasn't so good initially. They didn't cover some of the first couple of claims I submitted and they had their reasons, but I was a little disappointed and I was doubting why I chose them. Then more recently, I got a more positive experience. There was a lady who said said that they would not cover a particular type of refrigerator but they really tried to help. The technician who was sent out was really nice, too. He saw he had to come back one time to clean the coils and he was good.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We had an issue with our ductwork. Submitting a claim was easy but AFC took a long time to get back to me. Then, I found out the reason they had was that they weren't going to cover anything. Even the AC guy who came in to do the assessment said that he thought that it was way wrong that they didn’t do it. There was no reason they shouldn't.

At first, AFC said that if something caused it, they wouldn’t help. And the tech said, "Well, nothing caused it. It just deteriorated because it's been there for a while." And they said they don't cover it because it was deteriorated. I was like, "Well, what do you cover?" And they could not answer that question. The claims reps were reading off of a script and they'd go back and forth. They couldn't do anything. Then, they told me, "Well, we only cover $250 of it, if we did cover it." I said, "Well then, you should cover it." And they said they don't. But on another claim, we had our washing machine looked at and they were able to resolve it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I looked into getting a warranty for the appliances I was afraid would break. AFC Home Club clearly covered the most so I went with them. In the year I've had the warranty, I've called a claim in and the technicians who came out were excellent. They were on time and they stuck to the plans. The work they had done was of very good quality as well.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I'm a custom home builder and I have a large home. I've used other services like American Home Shield in the past. I decided to switch because when I looked at sites, America's First Choice Home Club got some very high reviews from Forbes and others. I presumed that the benefits were very similar. I've had three claims with them, and I've had to fight with everyone. I was very frustrated.

When I filed the claim for the air conditioner, they sent out a subcontractor who said two of my thermostats were not good. When it came time to replace them, because my home is very high-tech, I wanted Bard thermostats. Their contractor gave me a price for $850. AFC would only pay $250 of that, which was very basic. I paid extra for my house because it's above 5,000 feet, but when it came time for replacement of a covered item, they only covered very low. So, I called up my heating and air conditioning guy. I got him to do the replacement for $600. Fortunately, AFC gave me the $250 and I used my guy, so I saved $250. Their sub would not come down. A positive thing was that they came back later. I had a continuing problem with my air conditioning and they sent a fairly good guy. The last guy they sent was good and he fixed things.

Then when my pool heater went out, I talked to the guy at sales and he told me that the pool’s covered because I had to pay extra for it. It turned out that they just took out the pool heater. It's covered but the pool heater is not. I had to fight, and we finally compromised and I got a few $100 from AFC on that. Again, they sent out a first sub that was no good, but the second guy was good and he fixed it.

I had to fight very hard for my repairs, so I'm concerned about how they cover some of the stuff they sent. They compromised but I feel that their policy is not as good as American Home Shield. They need to be more competitive with the big player in the business. Their pricing is less but their coverage is not as good. But I am happy with the big boss who compromised on what I actually signed up. I have them for a few months now and I'm not going to cancel. I'm going to continue, but once it's time to renew, I'm going to study what they're actually offering versus other companies.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My warranty kept going up and it almost doubled in price, and I was tired of it increasing. I Googled to find out who had the best prices in the United States, and I went with AFC Home Club. Submitting a claim was extremely easy. If had some questions about it, I called AFC and they answered my questions thoroughly and completely right from the beginning. I was a brand-new customer and unfortunately my air conditioner went out on the roof. I live in California and the temperature at that time was about 110 degrees. I was calling on a Friday, and they said they wouldn't be able to send anybody out until Monday or Tuesday. But it was over 100 degrees so they considered that an emergency and they told me to call my own heating guy and they'll take care of it.

The air conditioner guy came on a Saturday and an AFC rep was there in the office that day. The rep was able to call and make contact and the air conditioner guy got paid right over the phone before he completed the work. I was glad the problem was with a capacitor and not a whole unit. However, it wasn’t covered 100%. I had to pay the guy his service fee which was on the contract but I got a charge for something else that was not covered by AFC, and it was not explained on my bill. I was so happy just to get the air conditioner around that I let it go and I never said anything. I had a great experience with AFC overall but I would've liked to know what wasn't covered.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Bought the home warranty in April, I had a problem with my furnace. Which at the time the contract was purchase, They required a heating and air inspection, which cost me a 85.00. Sent them a copy of the inspection which stated everyone was in proper working order. Oct 30, 2017, had a problem with the furnace. After one week with no heat, someone finally came out and look at it. Paid service fee of 60.00. Three days later they said that the repairs would cost $380 but they would only cover $123, because they deemed my furnace which is 17 years old to be worthless. Unfortunately I have paid the full contract, and they won't do anything. Bad Company. Don't use.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I moved from a different state to TX and bought a home. I was provided home warranty from AFC home club for a year. As this was my first experience of home buying, I went ahead for this warranty as it offered claims on my most goods after 30 days of warranty start date. In the peak heat of TX, my AC went down on the 26th day of the second month of warranty. I contacted the customer service, they had some third party service at that hour who took down my details and was told that I will be contacted on Monday (I called late Fri evening). I was not contacted on Monday. I had to call up and was asked if I had any records for AC maintenance or service. Since the previous owner didn't provide and my realtor also couldn't help me get that. I thought being in second month they would address my concern but to my surprise and their cruelty, they insisted on it and said they will serve only if you have it. Otherwise forget it.

I contacted many times. Each time the customer service guy was very rude in telling this same thing except a couple of them who at least told me the same politely. I said if this is the service then I want to discontinue. They asked to send the same in written request. I sent it over. When I enquired about the refund, they said as per the terms it takes them 9 weeks to process the refund. Close to the end of 9 weeks I wrote them couple of nasty emails to which I believe, they took it more negatively and stopped my balance refund.

I contacted them again in the 11th week, then they said, “We're sending you the refund.” Finally I got my refund minus 75$ charges deducted and the service period for while was with them. These kind of companies are such that they will find out the finest details written in their contact to NOT serve you. So my request to fellow citizens is NOT to CONSIDER this company at all as far as home warranty is concerned. A 100% NEGATIVE customer service designed to loot every penny from your pocket.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Absolutely horrible company. DO NOT USE AFC HOME Club. Save the money because they wont refund you for anything. I followed all of their rules and even have recorded confirmation I was allowed to repair my AC unit. They are claiming they cant confirm my yearly maintenance because the company I used speaks Spanish. So now an $800 job they approved is on me. Absolutely disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I called 10/16 at 3:45 to request service for my dishwasher. I was told I would get a call within 24-48 hours. It is Wednesday, 10/18 and no one has called me. I called AFC twice after the first call. The second call... I was told the agent would call Affordable Home Services in Indio and give them my info again. She also gave me their number so I could call them. I called AHS, and who ever answered sounded like they just got out of bed. Very unprofessional! I told the man what I needed and he put me on hold and then we were disconnected. He never returned my call.

I do not want these kind of people in my home. It was not a good first impression. I waited until 4:15 p.m. and I called AFC back for the third time. This time I told another agent my story, but, she couldn't do anything because the offices were closed. I paid $1250 for the Gold Home Warranty in June. This is the first time I've tried to use my warranty. NO SUCCESS. I will be requesting a refund and cancellation of policy. There are many other companies out there. I thought I had chosen a good one. Guess I didn't!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I just bought this home but it's 20 years old so it made sense to get a home warranty and America's 1st Choice got the highest marks. It's simple to call them up and put a claim in. They have a third party vendor to give me a call. All the technicians were very good. However, I have a Sub-Zero refrigerator which was over 20 years old and they would not pay for it. There is a stipulation in the contract that they would only cover an appliance up to 20 years. They gave me something, but the bill was $1600 and I ended up having to pay $1000 of it, which the reason why I got a home warranty is that these things get covered. So, I was not happy with that.

Another feedback is that if I have two leaky faucets, they'll charge me $75 for each issue instead of one. If I got a plumber here and they charge an hour, they should fix everything. On the other hand, I had a relatively new dryer that was a couple of years old. When something went out on it, they came back three times, fixed it and it didn't cost me anything. Overall, America's 1st Choice is attentive and they're everything they say they are.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I wanted a service that will repair or replaced my item in working condition. You offering me $122 to replace or repair my dishwasher is horrible. Technically, you only offering me $62.22 because I had to pay $60 for a diagnostic fee. I wanted a service to help relieve the cost of fixing a broken item. You are causing me more stress because now I am wondering if it is even worth calling you. If I have to pay $60 upfront and you going to give me less than 10% of the cost to fix or replace the appliance. Why would you care? You already have my money.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

America's 1st Choice Home Club was rated first over other home warranty providers. I’ve had good interactions with their representatives, they’ve been very helpful. However, submitting a claim hasn’t been good and it’s because I’m on the West Coast and they’re on the East Coast and it hasn’t worked out really well. The service people were located 50 miles from me and what should’ve taken at the most a week took five weeks to get a refrigerator fixed and it was the service people more than AFC.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Do we have "0" or "negative" star (as "1" star is too much in our experience below)? We bought this Gold Plan AFC Home Warranty "Multi Year Coverage" (for all Appliances & Systems) in 2014 and very very disappointed / frustrated over our 3 claims got rejected / denied in the last 2 years for no reason. #1. Plumbing Issues - Claim Denied (early 2015). #2. HVAC Issues - Claim Denied (early 2016). #3. Kitchen Refrigerator Issues - Claim Denied (Fall 2017). We are really surprised and shocked to read those reviews now (and we certainly got fooled in 2014 when we were reading these), that AFC "replaced" the appliances, when they had issues or broken (hope they are not fake reviews), when AFC rejected our simpler few hundred dollars fix / claims.

It happened to be a bad decision in opting for this AFC Home Warranty, as our last 3 claims got denied for no reason (after several weeks of delays even in creating a claim upon our online submission) without any fix made by contractor, despite contractors charged $60 each as service fee/deductible for the visit/diagnosis, and fixed nothing so far.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

The America’s First Choice Home Club sales reps are great but I got a different kind of service when I called with issues. A sewer ejector pump had malfunctioned and I called AFC and had them send a repair person that was affiliated with them. They spoke to the repair person to diagnose the problem and gave the green light to fix the issue and told me the repair was approved. When the service was finished and the repair person left, AFC asked for the serial number of the broken piece of equipment that was replaced. Because the repair person already left, there was no way for me to get the serial number or the age or the model.

AFC gave me $75 which is the service charge of the repair person coming out and I paid $800 out of pocket. AFC gave me a check for $100 because they couldn’t verify the age or a serial number of the broken piece of equipment. AFC doesn’t tell that the customer should find out that information when replacing something. AFC gave me money based on how much the item is worth today. I got this type of insurance because I have old appliances and I thought that the purpose of covering older equipment was great. It turned out that AFC will only give a portion of what the items were worth and if they can’t verify the age, they give you next to nothing. I also need to pay a person to do an annual check-up where a repair person comes to my house even if I don’t have any issues. They examine my equipment every year so AFC knows the condition of each piece of equipment before I get it serviced.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I was researching for various home warranty sites and landed across AFC Home Club. I like their terms, price and the coverage. Also, the person I worked with gave me an additional coverage. It's easy to set up a claim with AFC. I had a problem with the water heater so they sent out a service repair guy who was very good and very professional. He diagnosed the problem but based on the age of the water heater, it wasn't covered and AFC didn't tell us that in the beginning.

AFC is going to charge me another $200 to get it fixed so I complained to my rep and AFC took care of it. Because AFC's terms never said anything about age as a situation, they were able to cover it. That was a little bit back-and-forth but the rep that I dealt with came through for me. The second claim I had was really easy. It was for a garbage disposal and they just sent me a replacement. The claims representatives were good and being able to reach and deal with an individual at AFC was straightforward and easy to get through. They were friendly and they tried to be as helpful as they could.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I had an issue with my garage and called it in on a weekend. I was not talk that I could contact a local provider if I could get them out immediately. Further, it took several days and phone calls to get a repair person dispatched. While reporting the issue, I was told that since my account was recently opened, my claim may only be covered at a partial rate. I noted that my account was paid in full for the year. And, I asked why should I accept partial coverage for a policy that was paid in full in advance. To which, I did not receive a satisfactory answer.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

In May of 2017 I submitted an estimate for pool repair work, that estimate was created by a technician and he mislabeled some of the info, he labeled the valves that I had to be replaced as "feeding the fountain and spa lines". My policy states that "coverage applies to in-ground, accessible working components and parts of the heating, pump, and filtration system as follows: ....check, and 2 and 3 way valves…..". The word "jet" and "fountain" were in that description so they immediately claimed that these parts are not covered. My solution was to get the final receipt from the owner of the business which is attached to this email. I submitted that info and they still refused to honor my policy. I called them over a period of 5 months, talked to 8+ representatives, one of which actually accused me of fraud and claimed the receipt I submitted was made by me, not by the company.

Every time I got the runaround, no manager is available and they will call you back before the end of the day. This went on for five months! When I finally spoke with the manager “Brittany” on 10/3/17 she told me that she had called my phone which she claimed rang without answer, that is impossible because I have mobile number with voicemail. She also claimed she emailed me multiple times, I checked all of my email folders and there was no such communication. I tried to explain to her the mix up with the original estimate, she refused to listen and she claimed that someone from her company actually talked to the technician. She also told me that I didn’t know what I was talking about because she does pool and spa claims all day long and these parts aren’t covered because they are part of ornamental pieces of the whole.

Then she read me back the wording that was on the original estimate which proves that they never did their due diligence by contacting my pool company. “He replaced 2 way valves and a check valve that feed the spa and fountain”. I have written proof that they never talked to anyone at the pool company which also proves that they are DISHONEST. I’ve attached images of the valves that they replaced, anyone with any pool knowledge can validate that these valves are part of the working components of the entire pool system and are not just localized to fountains or jets. This company has gone to extreme efforts just to deny my $300 claim for repairs that are completely covered by my policy which is FRAUD on their part. Don’t use this warranty company, they will not cover claims nor will they treat you with respect.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I needed a warranty on the house and I researched online on home warranty providers. America's 1st Choice Home Club was rated number 2 and had a reasonable amount of complaints, while the number 1 company had a lot of issues and were getting a lot of complaints, so I chose AFC. The process of submitting a claim was easy and wasn't that big of a deal. The first time I dealt with AFC, it took a while for me to get my money and I was a bit frustrated. But once they got everything clarified, the claims process was okay and the reps were helpful.

I had some problem with my air conditioner and the repair cost was up to $2,000. The only thing I didn't like was AFC didn't make me aware beforehand how much the repair would cost. But the technician they used was someone I already knew, so that was cool. The quality of work that was done was good. Generally, AFC is okay but be cautious of some of the contracts. Do a little bit more research and ask more questions.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

America's 1st Choice Home Club was the first home warranty provider I got. I was a little disappointed because the representative who signed me up didn’t explain how the policy exactly works and I was never told that it’s only approved for $150 within the first two months. So when I submitted a claim the first time, they only approved me for $150 which was way less than the amount for the plumbing issue. The reps were not so bad but they could’ve been a little quicker to call back. They took care of me at the end of the day so I’m fine. And also, their technician was good. Yet, I'm not with America's 1st Choice anymore.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I got AFC with the hopes that the service would be better and the coverage would be equal to the provider that I had previously. So far, I’ve been satisfied, with the exception of not being able to access help on weekends. I submit claims over the phone as I like to be able to speak to somebody, and their reps are good. Yet I submitted a claim over the weekend and it was terrible because they took it but nothing got done. Eventually, the technician came, made his diagnosis and has submitted the paperwork.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information

afchomeclub.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use