Call toll free
3.56/5
Based on 149 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides cost-effective, extended home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect themselves against the unforeseen expenses of home upkeep and repair. With three plans to fit your budget and needs, and a 24/7 claims center, AFC Home Club has you covered.

BBBB Rating
View More View More

493 America's 1st Choice Home Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

The previous homeowner offered to purchase a one-year home warranty from America's 1st Choice in the closing sale, and I've used AFC since August of 2017. When we were initially looking, we told the reps all the different parts of the house that we had and they explained all the different services and what we should look into. On the initial quote, the pool wasn't included so I explained that to them and they added it on.

I had called in to report that I had some issues with my garage, and AFC scheduled an appointment with me and the party that they work with. The technicians came out and inspected my garage. But surprisingly, it was working so I didn't really need them to come out because I fixed it myself apparently. They spoke with AFC afterward for billing purposes, and it was cut and dried. I've also made other calls to find out more about our policy and the reps have been great. Whenever I have had a problem, they've taken the time to explain things to me.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I am a warranty holder since May 2017 and, recently opened 2 service requests. One for my garage door and, they mentioned the item which is wrong on the garage door is not covered and, I paid out of my pocket around $380. This includes the $60 service fee and, the $320 repair fee. Again another service request for my dishwasher. Same story happening again. Paid $60 for the service. Now they are claiming to repair the dishwasher. It will cost another $410. Looks like they do this for all their service request. I am really unsatisfied with their services. I would not recommend this warranty to anybody.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I bought America's First Choice home warranty last October. I looked at a couple different companies online but AFC was one that I could afford. Everything has been great so far. They always take care of everything I need when I call to submit a claim.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I needed another warranty for my home. I went online and found America's First Choice Home Club. And because of their ratings, I chose to use their services. My garbage disposal was broken so I called them and they asked for the bills and other stuff. I submitted those and they approved it. It was a straightforward transaction. The policy for that claim was they can give me some amount of money and I need to use my own plumber to put it back. So I called them for that one and they reimbursed me.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 17, 2018

I had a plumbing issue and when I submitted a claim with America's 1st Choice Home Club, I did not like their service. They are not covering the toilet flush and several parts in the plumbing. They are also not covering outlets in electrical. So, it's very bad and whatever they are covering is not sufficient. After a few days, I am going to disconnect with AFC and I will go with some other company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Original review: June 16, 2018

America’s First Choice Home Club had better coverage than the other companies. My husband called them to file a claim and their claims process was easy. I'm satisfied with AFC.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We had American Home Shield for about 25 years and they went to the internet, which made it very difficult to get ahold of them. Now we have AFC and we've submitted a claim over the phone. The service has been excellent and the techs they've sent out were great. However, we found out on the last service call that we had that they don't cover anything that's under warranty. They don't cover any of the labor like the water tank, so that wasn't cool and nobody mentioned that when we called about the policy. But all in all, AFC offers good service and we've already recommended three people.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your input, we appreciate your membership!

AFC Home Club

Original review: June 14, 2018

We were part of another home club and they dropped us. We went online, looked for another home club, and found AFC. They were highly rated than the other ones that we looked at so we went with them. Submitting a claim with AFC went reasonably well. However, they have a lot of turnover in personnel, which is a little understandable but at the same time, a little difficult because I never get to talk to the same person twice. And sometimes, in the middle of stuff, somebody changes jobs.

One time, we were dealing with one woman but she was let go and case sat still for a while because the hand off between their people wasn't smooth. In the process of getting that fixed, we got the name of one of the supervisors there and he was very helpful. Also, the technician that we worked with was excellent. He was a bright young man, very down-to-earth, and very practical. One of the best parts of the whole thing was dealing with him. The quality of the work done was very good as well.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Warranty is not good as the water heater is not covered (in the fine print of course). Even the technician said it is normal wear and tear and should be covered but according to the company the tank was not covered. Then, I wanted to cancel my two policies, which I paid 5 years in advance for both (I know it was a mistake) but they said I would get only a few dollars back of out $1700 paid each policy, as they made paid a few fixes at my houses. I will try with the credit card company.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My wife called AFC and she was at home when the contractor came over to fix things. But AFC was a little slow on paying the contractor who fixed the pool pump. But other than that, I would tell friends to give AFC a shot.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your review and thank you for being a member.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I was leaving the prior warranty company that I had and came across America’s First Choice. I called and I tried it out and I liked what I was told. The service and turnaround time for appointments are fast. And the techs are very thorough. So far, I'm satisfied with America’s First Choice.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

From everyone at AFC Home Club, thank you for your review.

Original review: June 11, 2018

When I googled the top 10 home warranty companies, America's First Choice Home Club was the third. I had a different company before then and that other company was terrible. Recently, our dishwasher stopped working so I called AFC Home Club. The first company didn't answer at all, so AFC Home Club put in a different referral and the guy that came out was completely terrible as he basically did nothing. And I paid $60 to his ridiculous company. When we had our inspection report, the guy told me that our drain just needs to be mounted underneath the counter a little bit higher. He was able to fix it for about $1.75. When I called and told AFC Home Club, they said that they were sorry and that on my next claim, it would be on them. They also told me that they will remove the tech from their list. So, even though it was a bad experience with the contractor, it was still a great experience with AFC Home Club.

We had a guy come out one time when our stove flipped off and the breaker kept going on and off and he was awesome and really fast. There was another company that we had before when the water heater was leaking, and they took three days to come out. AFC Home Club is really fast and we appreciate the fee only being $60. The other companies are at $75 or $100. Also, the coverage options that AFC Home Club gives for the price range are better than the other companies we've used. In fact, I decided to renew for the year and transferred the policy to the new buyer.

Original review: June 10, 2018

AFC Home Club seems to be a good home warranty group. Our realtor uses them and recommended them to us. We've only had them since March and we've had to use them once when we had an electrical issue. Submitting the claim was easy. We just called them, and they took care of it in a couple of days. The technician was really nice, and he fixed the problem quickly. We couldn't use the electricity on the second floor until it was fixed. It's fixed now and everything is back to normal. AFC Home Club has been really helpful, so far.

Heather,

From everyone here at AFC Home Club, we appreciate your review and look for to servicing your needs in the future.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We've only had one claim with America’s First Choice Home Club so far, which was for the pool, and they have been very helpful. To submit a claim you can do something online or call and make a request. They then hook you up with somebody who comes out and then you just pay a service fee to whoever comes. The guy who came to our house was somebody who was already working on our pool.

Original review: June 8, 2018

When we bought this home, we went online and researched the various home warranty companies. We had an allowance of $700 for our home warranty. We had another one but weren't satisfied with them so we decided to try AFC because they allowed us to pick our own repair people if need be. We've had a couple of claims and submitting them has been fine. We just call it in and then we mail the receipts for documentation.

Since having this warranty, our interactions with the techs have all been good. However, the problem with the stove has been difficult to diagnose and it’s still not corrected. We have to pay out of pocket to continue troubleshooting the problem because AFC said they wouldn’t pay any more on the claim than what we’ve already been allowed. Also, they said the vent hood was not covered so we’re having to pay out of pocket to get it corrected. I’m curious as to why because I really think it’s part of the oven. You gotta exhaust the fumes and that’s still something that should be covered. Another problem was with the washing machine but I think that has been corrected.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I wanted to have a precaution for the house that I purchased. My realtor told me about America's First Choice Home Club and their price sounded reasonable, plus, their policy had everything that I was looking for, so I went went them. So far, i have submitted one claim and it was for the central vacuum. Their reps were helpful, explained everything to me, and told me how the process was with the claim. I brought the appliance to the facility to get repaired and it cost $70. Then I got $50 back for it.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 4, 2018

When our AFC account was up for renewal, I received a phone call. I clearly told the salesperson that I would let them know either way, whether I wanted to renew or not. When I had enrolled originally, almost all of the reviews from clients were 4 or 5 star. Now they are mostly 1. They renewed the policy and charged my credit card $475.00. They were called but never returned my calls. The charge was challenged to the card company, and they too did not receive any response from the company.

Original review: June 2, 2018

We've had two claims with AFC so far. The first one was a washing machine issue and the second one was a plumbing issue. Both claims were easily submitted over the phone and then taken care of very nicely. The customer service team was very professional and they were very courteous to us. The people who came were very friendly. They took off their shoes when they came in, and didn’t trample on our floors in their working shoes. I’m always impressed with that. I would recommend AFC. They were very trustworthy and they responded quickly.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for the review. We value your business.

AFC Home Club

Original review: June 1, 2018

I’ve had other home warranties, which I’ve had for years and I wanted to change because I've had trouble with them. I looked at Consumer Reviews and Better Business Bureau and decided to go with America's 1st Choice Home Club. However, my experience in submitting a claim with them has not been good. I had to stay on hold on the phone a lot, but once you get to talk to them, they are good. There was an answering service too but that couldn’t give me any information. So, I ended up getting my own technicians.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 31, 2018

The claims rep from America’s First Choice was reading a script that she could refer to but she didn’t know very much about it. She didn't even know what certain things were but that’s okay. We had out microwave repaired because the fan wasn't working and so, the kitchen heated up and whatever I cooked, you could smell it all over, even outside. Then, when we figured it out and when the technician took it off, he said it appeared to be working fine. But I said it wasn’t.

The technician took it down and found out that the homeowners before us had installed it three years ago, and they installed the baffle backwards. So, it was drawing nothing. And you can’t see it since it’s underneath everything. The microwave is not right above the stove like most homes and he had to take the whole unit out. They said that it was going to require another house call. I told them the repairman was standing right in front of it and yet they were going to charge us for another house call which was ridiculous. Also, we still have no air conditioning. It was very frustrating. The first guy came out and he told us it was frozen up outside and inside because it had a heat exchanger. He had to get it cleared first and then he went and did another job and came back again. He was supposed to bring us a Windy unit, but he never did.

AFC refused to pay for it. They said that we had to have the furnace inspected every year and it was in my booklet but we never got one. We went online and they asked us to print it all out, which we did. It’s all in the file and it doesn't say anything about having your furnace and air conditioning system inspected every year. We would have had it inspected every year if we had known that we had to do it. Supposedly, they took it to the highest person there who could make a decision. But I told them we were done with them. It was almost expired anyway and I didn’t even want to talk to them anymore. The homeowners before us chose AFC Home Club, we’ve only been in the house for two years and we just renewed it every year.

The technician has dealt with America’s First Choice before and swore he’d never deal with them again. And mostly every company down here feels that way about home warranty companies. They take forever to get paid, and the last time, it took three months. He said, for instance, our book would say which part attaches to what part. So, he knew that the claims rep was reading that and she knew that you cannot order the part that broke on ours because they're considered not environmentally friendly, so you can't get them anymore. You have to change over a whole lot more than just that one part which includes the Freon. It wouldn't run without it. And the Freon that we would have to have is worth $75 an ounce. If we had the newer part, we would have done only $25 an ounce.

In the end, he wanted nothing to do with them. But as it turns out, they're not going to help us anyway because we didn't have it inspected every year. We're very dissatisfied with it. We’re not gonna get our money’s worth by any means. People should not do it and waste their money. But if they do, they should talk to others who are very happy with it.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response
Mechanically the Microwave was working, since the technician does not cook in the home he was most likely not 100% sure what you were referring to until further explanation was made. Normally Built in microwaves are a two-man job for the techs as they are dangerous to be removed by one. A lot of companies require this, but it seems he was doing this member a favor by looking at it while he was there.
Per guidelines improper installation is not a covered item as this is the responsibly of the technician which installed this, but we went ahead and covered the full cost to take care of that unit as a goodwill.
As for the HVAC all guidelines are provided upfront to insure the member meets their obligations to have their units covered. The manufacturer states HVAC units should be maintained annually. Please see link.

I am requesting with this information that you update your star rating, we hate to no longer be able to service your home but hope that you see these guidelines are there for your protection.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 30, 2018

I bought an old home. I knew things were gonna start breaking and I wanted to have a safety net. So, I went online and started searching for home warranty companies. I went with the one with the best reviews and that was AFC Home Club. I like that with this home warranty, I get to pick the people who come out. AFC's customer service was also better than the service of another home warranty company that I had before. But I don’t think they necessarily knew a lot because when I called, I would always be transferred to somebody else.

When I had an issue with my dryer, I called in to submit my claim and they gave me some number. Then I emailed AFC Home Club the information from the local guy who came out to look at it. Apparently, AFC was gonna cover only so much money for the repair. So, I went out and bought the parts, then I emailed them the receipt and they reimbursed me. But after the tech left, the dryer was completely shut and it needed all these repairs. AFC said they were only gonna give me a credit of $240 or they could repair it. But if they repaired it, they wouldn’t come out again once those parts go. So, I decided to get a new dryer and after I bought it, AFC reimbursed me for what they thought my dryer was worth to begin with. And right now, I’m still waiting for one of my payments.

I was very disappointed with my experience and I'm not gonna keep this company much longer because I don't think these home warranty companies are really out to help homeowners. They're just out to take your money. I would also tell my friends not to get any home warranty company. You pay $77 a month and they don’t cover much of anything so you’re really putting out more out of pocket than anything.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

AFC offered to cover the cost of the repair and the member choose not to move forward. No company can offer a brand-new dryer when the unit can be repaired. If the homeowner wishes to get a new unit that is their choice, but we cannot be held responsible for the total cost. We are sending this member and an additional check for $60.00 making the total payment on this $320.00. If there is anything we can do in the future to help please let us know.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 29, 2018

America's First Choice Home Club is not the best, but it’s okay. I chose them for the cost yet their claim process is very hard. A lot of times particularly, there are always the hidden little fine prints that they pull out on me when I'm calling in for a service. They say that they cover this but don’t cover another and they do that. Or they say the machine is old, and all that stuff they put in. They don’t respond in time and with the requests, the questions or the calls that we have. The last experience that I had with the claims rep had been horrible, but I just put in a new call today and I still haven’t heard back from them yet. On the other hand, the technicians are good. They work for themselves so they do the work properly and nicely. They care and they’re polite. I’m happy with the work they've done so far.

I wish AFC was a little more sensitive to the customer’s need and that they respond fast enough. There are a few things that can wait to get things to be done, but there is needed attention when the AC is out with a 100 degrees in the house or cold when the heat is out. When the fridge is out, I wish they could respond a little bit faster too. Right now, I have my garage door opener, but that’s not urgent. Still, there are a few things that could be urgent and need urgent attention and I wish they can be a little bit sympathetic. So, I definitely would not recommend them at all. I’ve had experience with other companies and while they were a little bit more expensive than AFC, I would give my recommendation to the other company.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

I apologize that you were not pleased with the services. I show we have over $600.00 in repairs paid for in your home. If there is anything else, we can do please let AFC know. Also keep in mind if you need service that day and we do not have a tech in your area available you can always choose your own technician and submit for reimbursement after a service request is filed with us.

Have a wonderful day

AFC Home Club

Original review: May 27, 2018

I looked America's 1st Choice up on the internet and then I submitted a claim by calling. It was a very simple process. The reps on the phone were very helpful and I had a very good experience with AFC.

Mr Holtam,

We are glad to have you as a renewal member! Thank you for the review.

Original review: May 26, 2018

On Sunday, May 20th, 2018 my Air conditioning went out. My full coverage on this issue started 61 days after having the policy. On the 66th day of homeownership (May 20th, 2018) is when my A/C went out. As a senior and permanently disabled person, I rely on others to help me. I thought a home warranty was to help with that. They said I had to have an annual inspection done on the house or their services would not cover me (very vague language). Annual to most of us means 12 months.

The question becomes how can I have an annual inspection if I don't own the house yet? Worse yet, the AFC company was able to get someone to look at my home before I could get one done. Remember, I've only been in the house for 66 days. Their excuse is NO SERVICE TO ANYONE WITHOUT AN ANNUAL INSPECTION, EVEN IF YOU DON'T OWN THE HOUSE OR RESIDE THERE. I had a home inspection done prior to purchasing the house. I sent it to HFC, they said they don't recognize State Certified Home Inspectors. It appears that they are out to scam seniors and disabled people.

Original review: May 26, 2018

My interactions with America's First Choice Home Club's claims reps have been fine - not terrible but usually not totally awesome. Sometimes, submitting a claim is good and sometimes it's very frustrating. The materials we have are confusing and I wish that our paperwork only has the stuff that is in our coverage. So when I'm in an emergency situation trying to find out if an issue is covered, I'd just be looking through the paperwork and not checking to see what section it would be in. A couple of times, we would ask why something was not covered but then it would just be in a different section.

It needs to be really clear what's covered and what's not and not all in one stapled piece of paperwork. They need to be separated since that's what makes it frustrating. It's frustrating when looking for a header that says plumbing and then realizing that I was looking at the wrong one after calling and talking to people or trying to set stuff up and being told that that's not covered when we could have figured that out in the paperwork. But the technicians have been great. They were able to take care of what we needed to be done. America's 1st Choice Home Club's warranty is worth it but policyholders should know what their coverage is.

Shanygne,

We have recently updated our terms to reflect an easier and clearer to read coverage. I have emailed these to you and hope they help! You can also find them on our website at www.afchomeclub.com. Please also be aware if you wish to call in and ask about your coverage we have a 24/7 agent line for assistance. Thank you for your review, we value your business.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I looked into acquiring a home warranty because I heard a lot of people buying home warranties for different issues, especially for older homes. America's 1st Choice Home Club seemed to have some good reviews. I've only submitted one claim and it went all right. I was up and my hot water was out so I called them. They asked what it was and I explained it to them. I said I have someone that could come out and inspect, and they agreed to that. I was glad because I wanted to make sure I could use someone I trust and I've always used. He came out here, then they sent a picture and showed me what was wrong. I would recommend them America's 1st Choice Home Club.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Once a service request is made you are welcome to use your own tech, we just ask that he is licensed and you let us know of your wishes. We are glad it worked out well. Thank you for AFC Home Club.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We had an issue where the toilets in our house were backing up and leaking on the floor. I filed a claim with America's 1st Choice Home Club on a Sunday and they were really quick to get back to me and be able to schedule somebody pretty much that day. They scheduled somebody to come out on Tuesday morning. When the plumber came, he didn’t find anything wrong with the toilets but it was convenient enough that we had another issue to address for a plumber and he was able to solve that while he was out there. The quality of work was good. The plumber was able to do something that we weren’t able to do on our own and that helped out a lot. He also left us information to get ahold of him if we ever have any other issues like that. The whole experience was pretty easy and very smooth from start to finish.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Glad we could help! Thank you for the review.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 24, 2018

My previous home warranty provider hiked up their rates so I looked for another company with better rates. I went online and saw that America's First Choice Home Club was one of the top three. I then did a I did a three-year contract with them because they offered a great deal. However, submitting claims with them hasn't been very good. Once, they sent a company out that really wasn't certified with KitchenAid and the guy didn't seem to know what he was doing. So I called KitchenAid myself, asked them about a part, and they gave me one. I then called the company and told them that they don't have to send the board for repair and gave the part number that will replace it. And the guy didn't even know that. I also found another company in the same town that was KitchenAid certified that AFC Home Club could have called from the first. Also, it took two months for me to get reimbursed so I wasn't happy.

I call to submit claims and the reps just take them. The quality of service of AFC is poor and I'm not impressed. Then, when I started reading the contract, I saw how AFC Home Club put a limit to repairs. They'll only pay $400 max worth of repair if my refrigerator breaks. Whereas, the other company would fix it or replace it. If I could get out of my contract with them, I would right now. But they have it written in, "If you quit, you have to reimburse us for whatever you paid." They also told me that the three-year warranty deal won't cost me but it ended up costing me $375 a year. I wish I would have read the contract more. They are 100% harder than my previous provider. I am dissatisfied with AFC Home Club and I would not recommend them.

Resolution response: June 1, 2018

I had talked to the appliance people since I already had a work order on the dishwasher before I called the Home Warranty to let them know that when I had the dishwasher fixed I could use a fix on the oven, so they ordered the part. (which they MAGICALLY found/produced, whatever) And when the repair guy came out, he brought it and stated that the element burning through was EXTREMELY common, especially on a 25 year old oven.
So I called AFC again. Apparently they understood that the broken part was either the electronic control panel or one of the knobs. Which WOULD be physical damage. But if it was a knob, I'd have gone to the hardware store and replaced the knob. I don't want to pay $60 for the tech to come out and replace a knob I can fix.

Anyway, it is fixed - and the company is covering the repair except the $60 "deductible", but I should be able to rely on them actually making the call to the appliance company or asking more questions rather than straight-out denying my claim. I still will not renew my "warranty" when the year is up, having spent $1,050 for $650 of repairs.

Original review: May 23, 2018

First of all, they sell you a 1 year Home Warranty. But then you call within the first 60 days of having the warranty and they only cover $150 off the repair because it's a "pre existing condition". Then when you call with another issue 7 months in, they state that the parts are no longer manufactured for this item, and it's physical damage that doesn't "just happen", so it's not covered. (Heating element broke in my oven while I was baking, and because it snapped, it's physically damaged.) So... I'm $550 into a Home Warranty, $435 additional for a dishwasher pump, and soon to be another $400-500 to replace the stove/oven. In fairness, they will pay $150 for the dishwasher pump and repair guy to come replace it. The "Warranty" is a scam - if they don't want to cover something that breaks, they darned well aren't going to.

Original review: May 23, 2018

AFC Home Club was one of the top searches for home warranties. I also compared a couple of rates and AFC Home Club had a special going on at the time I was closing on the house. I submitted a claim and received an email within two business days. And they did a good job of trying to get a-hold of the plumbing company that I used but the plumber that I had slowed down the claims process. But the claims rep kept updating me everyday if she had gotten a follow-up call or email with the plumbing company. They have good customer service.

Unfortunately, our claim was an emergency and the contractor did not have a technician available right away. I had no choice but to get a random contractor that I looked up online the same day. He came in and did the service for us. And I was fortunate enough to get the reimbursement from AFC Home Club so it's a big plus. Go ahead and give AFC Home Club a try.

AFC Home Club expert review by Michele Lerner

America's 1st Choice Home Club offers policyholders peace of mind with complete home protection options. Consumers can choose from three plans to get protection that meets their needs and budget, and the company offers several additional benefits to add value to their warranties.

• Tiered pricing: America’s 1st Choice has tiered pricing options, which allows homeowners to only cover systems that need protection.

• Complete coverage: Some warranties only cover specific issues and systems, but with the Gold package from AFC Home Club, homeowners are covered for everything from HVAC to all interior plumbing and appliances.

• Flat service fee: All calls for repairs and malfunctions will incur a low $60 service fee, regardless of how expensive the final repair ends up being.

• Savings at the store: In addition to AFC Home Club's home warranty program, policyholders also receive membership into Retail Benefits, a savings program. Shoppers can earn cash back on more than 300,000 items at over 5,000 retailers.

• Eat out on AFC Home Club: Every month, policyholders are eligible for a $25 Restaurant.com gift card, allowing them to dine at one of thousands of participating restaurants.

• Best for: homeowners, home sellers, builders and property developers.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information