America's 1st Choice Home Club

America's 1st Choice Home Club

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I bought a home, moved into it and wanted something better than the home warranty company I had. I did a Google search and AFC had the best reviews. When I submitted a claim with them, it went smooth and the rep had it pushed through pretty quickly. The tech who came was a local company that I used a few times directly on my other needs. He was excellent.

I've always had a home warranty, but I never liked American Home Shield. I fired them and terminated their service years ago. AFC is certified and approved, and they're endorsed by the Better Business Bureau. They've been very professional, courteous and fast each time I submit a claim. They explain everything very well. A technician comes in within a couple of days and depending on my schedule, but they’re normally readily available within 24 to 48 hours. They’re very patient.

Overall AFC has been excellent because I bought this house April 1st, 2013, built from the ground up and they built the house so fast that I didn’t think I could’ve sued them for negligence. I made up my mind that whatever I replace, it would be top quality and it’d be a top-quality company that would install it. I've replaced four things so far, including the sump pump, but it wasn’t under the warranty so I had to pay by my own pocket. When January comes, I can renew my contract and I’m gonna add some more things on it. I've told my church about AFC, so I’ve been advertising for their company because I had good experiences.

I am not one to normally write reviews. I am a simple person who just wants to get what they pay for and I believe in Karma. I needed to tell other about this company so they too can experience what it is like to have someone stand up to their word, which is not normal these days. I called AFC about 2pm when it got real hot here about a week ago. My house was 79 degrees and my pregnant wife was about to have a fit. They had the tech at my door within 3 hours, be it this was a heat wave and he was still there that day! He was working on the unit for about 2 hours and it ended up needed quite the repair, when all was said and done what was asked of me? NOTHING ALL I PAID WAS $60.00 deductible and he was on his way. I couldn't believe how simple it really was. (Guess I am a skeptic.) I would highly recommend them to anyone I know, my house has been cool since.

I just joined through agent Craig **. I like the prices and the gold package with full coverage. My Account Manager, Craig, was very honest, and took time to explain everything to me. I appreciate the extra effort he took to make me feel at peace.

The AC company we were dealing with for the issue was being completely irrational and unprofessional. Not only did AFCHC stay on top of them, but they also argued things on my behalf to get them out here in a more timely manner and in general were just great. I couldn't get updates from the AC company but AFCHC was calling me daily with updates. I really appreciated everything and I will recommend AFCHC to any of my friends who need to renew their home warranties!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Initially I was very dubious about AFC's willingness to perform as guaranteed, but upon a closer reading of the contract I determined that AFC was correct in their refusal to act on my request(s) until I fulfilled my obligations per the contract. Once I had done so, AFC quickly and satisfactorily contacted a repair person and the problem was resolved. The lesson I learned was to very carefully read and follow the requirements set forth by AFC. If a policy holder will assure that he/she has jumped through all the hoops, I think the process will go smoothly.

I switched over to America's First Choice about six months ago. I had a HORRIBLE experience with American Home Shield and began to look for a new home warranty company and I came across America's First Choice. I called in to set up a service request for my dishwasher and garbage disposal last week. This was my first time having to call in for service. I was VERY IMPRESSED by their customer service and not to mention that I did not have to wait very long where with my old company if I was on hold for less than an hour I felt lucky. It was just a GREAT OVERALL EXPERIENCE to say the least. So far so good and if the customer service continues to be as good they found a customer for life.

I have warranties with your company and American Home Shield and I've seriously considered dropping your service because of the problems I've had with your policy concerning leaks. I had a refrigerator that was leaking because of some mechanical problem in the freezer. When I mentioned that the refrigerator was leaking, I am told my warranty doesn't cover leaks. Then when I explained that the leak is most likely caused by a mechanical problem with the refrigerator which should be covered, I am told that a repairman cannot be sent out because my warranty doesn't cover leaks. So frustrating.

I could not get past the circular reasoning of the person on the phone. Because there was a leak, it seemed there was an irrefutable loophole in my coverage. I never experienced such a problem with American Home Shield. I had to make the repair on my own with a private vendor -- the exact thing I am supposed to avoid by paying for your coverage. However, the last time I needed a plumber for my sink which was leaking, you sent someone and it got repaired. I don't see your service as consistently reliable.

Factual basis uncertain

Trying to get these people to pay on claims is like pulling teeth... For example I was told when I purchased this insurance that plumbing was covered. When I tried to use it they say they don't cover stoppages or leaks. What else does plumbing do other than stop up or leak? This particular incident was repairing my well. They had to replace something on the well head and it cost 200.00 to pull the well head. They don't cover pulling the well head... They can't get to the part without pulling the well head so out of over 500.00 service call, they claim they are sending me 198.00 that was supposedly mailed on March 6th... This happened in January and I had to pay then and I am still waiting to be reimbursed anything! Horrible and very difficult to deal with. You have to keep calling and emailing to get any answers! I would not recommend them to anyone!

It's not fun to be told repeatedly that the issue you are calling about is not covered by your home warranty. We had an Old Republic Warranty previous to choosing AFC and didn't experience this issue. We chose AFC after we were told we could choose our preferred service providers however, after paying out of pocket for approved plumbing repairs it took around 6 weeks to receive the check from AFC. I was told by a service provided that they are paid the day of repair by AFC via credit card.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: March 13, 2017

The issue has been resolved.

Original review: March 6, 2017

My wife and I signed up for your warranty on 2/28/2017. They were to take $100 out of my account and it never happened. I did receive two welcome emails from the company. I called back to find out why the money has not been taken out of the account and I am not getting any answers. They cannot find me in the system. This should not happen to a new customer.

I always had a home warranty with Sears and it had run out. I needed to be sure things in the house were taken care of because I don't have anyone. I read online that AFC Home Club was rated topnotch. They were recommended so highly and were supposed to be so good. I thought maybe they would be the good choice and their warranty covered everything. That's what I want and kind of need. The claims reps were very nice and helpful. However, I have to pay them so much to start with. And when I'm paying, it's premium price, and I've paid around $1200 for three years. Then when I call them to have a tech come over, I have to pay $60 or $80 for them to come. It runs pretty high compared to what I had previously with Sears and they were very good. But I'm satisfied with AFC and have no complaint against them.

I just had a claim a few weeks ago with my thermostat. I would set it at 70, keep it at that for a day then it dropped down to 62 or 63 all by itself without anyone touching it. This went on for some time and I had my son who is an electrical engineer and consultant install another one. The thermostat did the same thing so I called AFC. The tech who came over looked around and told me he couldn't find anything wrong. He said the only thing wrong with my furnace was that I didn't bleed my radiator. I have the baseboard system and I thought bleeding the radiator has nothing to do with the thermostat. What he told me was strange and didn't sound reasonable. And that was my bad feeling.

Two days later, the temperature dropped down again so I called AFC. The rep told me to call the tech back and gave me his number. I did call him but I never heard anything from him again. That made me a little annoyed so I didn't bother to do anything more with him. I figured I would get someone else. When I did, they said it was actually the way the thermostat had been set that caused it and I haven't had any problem since.

I don't have any good experience with America's First Choice Home Club. I have three properties from three zip codes. I was trying to get them covered and AFC Home Club were the only ones that said that they could cover all three. However, they didn't have service providers for one of the properties that they said they did and I feel like they misrepresented that they could cover the area. The whole idea that I could use anyone that I had if they couldn't find someone, the problem is no one will work with them. So it's a problem on top of a problem on top of a problem. So this week, I sent in a letter to cancel the policy on that property. I also had a claim on my other property and I was told they didn't cover the fixture on the outside of the house. So I haven't had any successful claim with AFC Home Club.

I always keep a home warranty for my rental property and I got AFC Home Club because of a good deal. I spoke with someone on the phone for purchase and it went easy and there were no issues. I have two properties so I have three payments for three years on one property and then I had the down payment and a monthly payment on the other one. Submitting a claim was good and I do it on the phone. Overall, AFC Home Club is easy to deal with.

I like to have a home warranty and AFC Home Club had a pretty good price. I filed a claim for my water heater and their process is pretty easy. I like that they have a 24/7 service, and they were very professional and prompt. They gave me the name of the local contractor. From there, I interacted with the contractor who was pretty quick and clean. We paid to him our assisted dollar deductible and the water heater is now working.

On the other hand, I don't like that the policy has a little bit more exclusions than what it appears to be and a little bit too many requirements for the homeowners. For example, for them to pick up any repair for the heating system, they would like me to have annual maintenance and records of annual maintenance of my HVAC. My HVAC system breaks down and I don't have the most recent annual check of the HVAC system and they deny coverage. That's not a typical requirement in a home owner's policy and are the little things like that that may not compromise. Other than that, I have had pretty positive experience.

I was with another company last year and I was looking for another warranty company. I looked online and AFC Home Club was rated fairly well, so I switched to them. I've submitted a couple of claims recently. My first claim for the repair of my dishwasher didn't go as well as I would have liked. The lady claims rep called me back and said that because of the physical condition of my dishwasher, what was damaged wasn't going to be covered by my warranty. I took exception to that because my dishwasher was not that old and its physical condition seemed perfect to me. I had also asked another technician what he thought of the condition of that dishwasher, and it looked normal to him, too.

So, I questioned the report of the technician that came out, whether he took time enough to actually look at the dishwasher or just wrote off that he couldn't repair it. I explained that to the lady claims rep and she said, "Sorry, but according to the technician we're not gonna cover it." She also said that the technician reported that the problem was with the control board. I asked her, "How is it possible he knew it was the control board when he never did a diagnostic?" He came out with a pencil and a paper, and he looked at the tag. He never said anything to me. Then he reported back to the warranty company that the problem was with the control board and that the physical condition of the dishwasher wouldn't allow him to fix it.

I tried to keep my cool, but the lady claims rep and I got to a discussion. I ended up talking to her manager, who told me the same thing. So, as a result, I ended up buying a new dishwasher. The old one is still in my garage. That was my first experience with AFC, and it wasn't very good. I truly didn't appreciate it because I don't think the technician did his due in trying to fix the dishwasher.

Thus far, I've only had two experiences in filing claims with AFC -- one bad one, one good one. In general, the claims are easy to file, although my first claim turned out to be difficult. Since then, I've had another experience in submitting a claim with AFC for an issue with my dryer, and that claim went well and the interaction I had with the claims rep then was fine. I would still recommend AFC because I don't think my bad experience was their fault. Overall, I had a good experience with AFC Home Club.

Excellent company and the best company I hire to cover my property items. Excellent plans and prices. Outstanding customer services. Awesome company. I recommend this company in all the way. I glad I have this company services.

We usually carry a home warranty and AFC’s prices were more reasonable but we’re not satisfied with the service. There's always a delay in being able to get to customer service. Every time we call in for a service call for the house, it takes days before they ever call anybody and days before you get a call back from the firm. It has been very consistent. I don't like that they're not available on weekends and get an answering service. But whenever we do talk to them, they are pleasant, and the technicians that came had been okay for the most part. But follow through doesn't always happen as they say.

Also, I had an occasion where I wanted to add a free standing hot tub onto my service. The fee was $200 to cover and when I made the first claim, they asked how old it was and took the information in. They said, "I'm sorry. It's depreciated value and we really can't cover that." It was a pump that went out, and it was just a week ago that I purchased the coverage on the hot tub. It would have been nice if they would ask the age of the unit and inform me that it's depreciated over 60% of its value and that they wouldn't have covered it. The technician's fee was $500 including the pump and installation. AFC was going to give me $150 for it. So, I pulled the pump out and had it repaired myself which did barely cover the rebuilding of the motor.

I was purchasing an older home and went with America's First Choice Home Club for their positive reviews and their cost. Their claims process was very easy. I made contact, they provided me a service provider, got a call back from the service provider, and set up the appointment. A call was made as well to confirm that the work was done. On a claim with them, the service provider did hold up their end but they did come back and corrected their work. After they got the second repair done, it's been good so far. One thing, though, was I'm new to the area and I didn't know who to use for different services. I asked the service provider to do work outside of warranty for me and that was the only thing they were unsure how to set up, that they could treat me as a separate customer and not just a customer of America's First.

America's First is the second company that I had gone with and they took care of stuff when something went wrong. With the other company I was with, I found I was fighting and screaming in lots of phone calls to get stuff corrected. It's nice to know that with America's First everybody was on board and wanted to resolve the issue for me. I was a little confused, though, regarding the person I had my purchase contact with and then fighting over to making claims. I was told that that person was my contact but I have never heard from him again. But when I used the 1-800 number of America's First to make my claims, I got the service satisfied so I'm happy.

We have a salt pool and we have problems with its chlorine navigator that we've had to replace every now and then. Other companies do not cover it but AFC does, and they had a better price too. I had two valves on the pool that are leaking. We filed a claim and it's easy. We simply talked to the sales rep over the phone a couple of times and then we made our decision. The repairman came by, fixed the seals and wanted to replace the other one. I'm satisfied with the repair and I don't have any problem anymore. We had another warranty company before AFC. Their technicians weren't very professional and weren't upfront. They only want their fee before they start looking at the problem. I'm very satisfied with AFC.

So far, we have been delighted. We are in a difficult building to work with since only approved vendors with filed insurance can service our appliances. AFC has been helpful in working with the vendors that are approved and follows up assiduously.

Factual basis uncertain

I called the technician to repair my water heater as your company advised me. I sent the receipt, but the company refused to pay the full amount. I sent an email several times, and the company tried to ignore my emails. I kept called the company and sent emails to different people to escalate the problem, but they tried to convince me to accept their decision. I believed that the firm was not honest to me as a customer to explain that their business are not willing to pay the full amount, and I brought my technician as they told me and I want to refund my money back and give a formal apology for all the ignorance, play the game, and dishonesty and provide me a lot of problems.

The warranty on a couple of items that we have in the house was about to be extinguished and I found that America's First Choice seem to have more for less. The first time I submitted a claim went through very nicely. The stove broke down around the first week of January and needed repairs which went pretty well. But the second one was a mess. It took a couple of weeks for them even to get around to responding. The process was very difficult and I came very close to calling the Better Business Bureau. They got the problem wrong and then they told me they couldn't find an electrician in this area that would deal with them. But when we signed up for this, they told us that they had technicians in our area, otherwise I would not have signed up for them.

After several emails back and forth in which Angie was extremely rude, somebody finally called and she had a very nice voice. She said that they've gotten it all set up and that was nice. Also, the technician who came in from Eagle was just great and he didn't charge us or anybody for the minor thing that had gone wrong. We offered to pay him for at least coming to visit but he said no. They were very nice.

I didn't like the last home warranty that I had so I was in the market for another. When I called AFC Home Club, I spoke to a very informative salesperson. I liked her a lot and decided to sign up with them. We did submit a claim not too long ago when our circuit breaker went out and the process was very easy. I had several phone calls and the people there were very congenial and made it user-friendly to deal with them. They walked me through the process and got the claim done. They recommended a technician and though he came out twice because he didn't fix the issue the first time, he got the job done and was very professional. He was very accommodating and stayed in contact with me. He texted me constantly. He did a great work and I have no complaints. Our house could have burned down so it was a severe the problem. He was able to take care of it the very next day once AFC Home Club agreed to get it fixed.

The experience itself was good but I thought the coverage was not as good as I had hoped it would be. Wear and tear isn't covered. Also, when I purchased the warranty, no one told me that I had to have my air conditioning and heating system inspected every six months. I found that out accidentally after I was talking to somebody about this other claim. So, since then I have had it inspected. Their sales people really need to stress that about the air conditioning and heating systems because that's a big item. I would have been in a bad mess if I had needed help with the heater and air conditioner. Nevertheless, I would recommend AFC Home Club. They handled my claim very well and very efficiently. They took care of their portion. I wish they had paid more but that's okay. I had no problem and everything was resolved within about 12 days. They were great and very professional.

I went with AFC Home Club because the price was good, but I'm not renewing with them anymore because they have so much stipulations. We had so many things that came up and they didn't want to pay for them. For even a stove, they said that they'll pay for it this time but not any more. Then we had a pool pump that went out and it took two and a half weeks to get a pool guy out to my house. The guy said that he was going to replace two different pumps. He fixed the first pump, which we had to pay most of it, and then he said the other pump would be covered because it's wear and tear. Nobody came back so I called AFC to find out what happened and they said that they already paid for the $200 and they're not paying any more. The pump is still not fixed. Customer service is really bad.

I'm a first-time homeowner and my realtor recommended to have a home warranty when we purchased our home. America's First Choice Home Club was rated in the top ten home warranty companies in America and their cost was reasonable so we went with them. Submitting a claim is easy enough through their phone help desk and their reps they were helpful. It was a good experience.

However, the service has not been the greatest with getting a claim service. For whatever reason, they say they cover certain aspects of the home warranty and no local service companies are willing to partner with them. This was the first time that I ran into this kind of problem with a home warranty. The previous home warranty that I had made partnerships with local service technicians so that if I made a claim, I was guaranteed that a service company was going to come out. But with this AFC, I had to pay out of pocket for coverage services and then get a reimbursement from the home warranty.

When users purchase a home warranty, they're paying to have that no headache/hassle of having something repaired in the home. But AFC made it more of a hassle/a headache process. I had to have the technician at my house and call AFC. We're getting charged by the minute for this. AFC was going to reimburse for all these, but it was a lot of hoops to jump through just to get a somewhat simple thing repaired. The quality of work was good, though. But it wasn't a real pleasant experience. Once my contract is up for renewal, I am pretty sure I will not renew with AFC.

I thought that America's First Choice Home Club is the best company I'd ever find. Their rep said I could bring my own person to do a repair and they'd pay for it. I've got them for my home in California, for my son's home, and the home in Denver. But anything that happened to my house, even something that normally each home guarantee paid, they didn’t pay. I'm not happy with them at all and I don’t recommend anybody to get them. People should not trust whatever AFC Home Club says.

Their rep told me I have a coverage of $1,500 for the air conditioning or heating system, but they only pay $150. After I proved to them that I had them under maintenance, they said the system is old. For every single item, they bring their excuse. If I buy a brand new stuff, I don't think I'm gonna get guarantee for it. The refrigerator is brand new but the icemaker doesn’t work. They said the icemaker is not included. Right now, my garage door system doesn’t work good, but they came and said they don't cover. And they even keep asking me to send a report. I was charged 180 to send the report, but they don’t even pay me for it. That’s why I cancelled and my son cancelled, too. And I told a couple of my friends who I told to get it to cancel it because they don’t pay anything for anything I call. AFC Home Club has to be honest and say upfront the way they cover and the way they pay. They should not be lying to people.

I am extremely disappointed in the fact that I have not received the contract or even a follow up call to my committing to AFC. I have charged 1/2 of the total cost and have received no communication regarding confirming the payment or have not received the contract to review in order to continue this commitment. This is not going well and would appreciate a callback to establish my confidence in this AFC program ASAP. Thank you. Call my home phone for a conversation immediately in order to solidify this commitment. Thank you.

AFC Home Club had a promotion going on at the time that I was looking for a home warranty provider. Their deductible was a little lower than the previous one I had as well. I've submitted about three claims and the process was easy. I only had an issue with one of them which was more of a miscommunication. The first couple of technicians that I had were good. But the last claim, I had to dispute the charge with the contractor. They charged for work that they didn’t do. And AFC was good initially with reaching out to the contractor to come back out the next day which they did. AFC requested that he speak with them while he was on a site, but he refused to. He was hours and hours late from the appointment time. He stayed for 5 to 10 minutes and said he had to get to another appointment and he will be back, but he never came back.

So I had to end up getting an independent contractor to service the issue, and I paid with them. The initial contractor tried to fight the dispute, so I had to send more information about the other company that came after them that provided the work. So hopefully, that'll be finalized soon. But other than that, the other contractors have been great and AFC has been helpful to get me through that experience with that horrible contractor.

I got pissed off at the home warranty company I was previously using and I decided to try America's First Choice Home Club. It was a terrible experience, there were difficulties and it wasn't fun. It got done ultimately but I had to jump through hoops to get it done. I put in a call for a claim and their guy never called me back. I called him and he still never called me back. Then finally, I called AFC and they told me that the technician canceled the claim. They told me that I called the technician and canceled the claim, I said that never happened.

I called AFC the second time and they said, "Okay" and they gave me the same guy. He never called me. I don't know if the technician is a jerk. I called back AFC and I said, "Hey, send me somebody else." They eventually sent me somebody else and got the thing fixed. Once the guy got here, it was a five-minute thing. The person I was dealing with at AFC was terrific. I sent in a survey and I mentioned her name specifically.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Profile