2. Homeowners

America's 1st Choice Home Club

America's 1st Choice Home Club
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.23/5

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides cost-effective, extended home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect themselves against the unforeseen expenses of home upkeep and repair. With four plans to fit your budget and needs, and a 24/7 claims center, AFC Home Club has you covered.

BOTTOM LINE

America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers a wide range of coverage with multiple plans available. While some coverage caps are limited, their coverage variety and flexible service call fee make them stand out.

PROS

• Flexible service call fee
  • Choose your own service technician
  • Longest labor guarantee

CONS

• Not available in four states

Top America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

The claims rep was knowledgeable, asked several questions and got someone out within a couple of days. The technicians were timely, good and I haven’t had any issues with them. AFC has been able to take care of any issues that we have brought up and they have been helpful about it.

America's First Choice Home Club covered a bit more and their service call fee was less. They've just been super easy to work with. Their contractors usually come out on the same day or next. I highly recommend AFC. They've been professional, courteous and focused.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Get a Quote

America’s 1st Choice Home Club plans

America’s 1st Choice Home Club provides four levels of home warranty coverage to existing homeowners as well home warranties for buyers and sellers (available only through real estate agents). They do not require a home inspection prior to buying a warranty, but existing conditions are not covered. Optional coverages are also available, and there are no limits on service requests. They offer plans in all states excluding California, Hawaii, Nevada and South Carolina.

• Systems: This is an affordable plan for home systems only. It provides essential coverage for five of the most important systems in a household.
  • Silver: The Silver plan is ideal for homeowners looking to protect appliances. It’s also an affordable option and includes nine major appliances as well as the water heater.
  • Gold: The Gold level plan includes all Systems and Silver coverage and additionally protects ductwork. It’s a good option if you’re looking for both systems and appliance coverage.
  • Platinum: The Platinum plan provides the most extensive coverage. It includes everything in the lower plan levels, as well as several additional protections, such as plumbing stoppages.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club cost

You can get a free, instant quote on America’s 1st Choice Home Club website after putting in your current ZIP code. On average, annual costs for America’s 1st Choice Home Club range from $350 to $625 depending on what service fee you choose. This allows homeowners to choose the best choice for their budget. A discount is available if a three-year contract is purchased.

PlanService Call FeeCost
Systems Plan$75$450
Silver Plan$75$450
Gold Plan$75$550
Platinum Plan$75$625
*Prices for zip code 77001. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage

The plans from America’s 1st Choice Home Club cover the following systems, appliances or a combination of both. You can also customize your plan with additional optional coverages, but the specific options and associated costs may vary by region. You can find coverage for the following items across their four plans. Optional add-on items are available for an additional cost.

Covered systems:

• Garage door opener
  • Ice maker
  • Kitchen refrigerator
  • Oven/range/cooktop

Optional coverage: America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers optional add-on coverage for pool/spa equipment, septic systems, stand-alone freezers and well pumps.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage exclusions

As is standard for most home warranties, America’s 1st Choice Home Club will not cover known or unknown pre-existing conditions. Your contract also won’t cover damage due to rust, corrosion or failure due to improper use.

There will also be per-item exclusions listed in your contract. These will consist of parts or components of otherwise covered items. Your home warranty should cover all parts and components that are essential to the core function of the system or appliance but may exclude non-essential items.

For example, on their Platinum plan, America’s 1st Choice Home Club covers built-in microwaves but doesn’t cover parts like doors, glass, lights, trays, clocks or shelves. You can find a full list of exclusions via AFC Home Club's sample contract.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage limits

If not otherwise specified in your contract, America’s 1st Choice Home Club sets a $2,000 per item coverage limit per contract term for access, diagnosis, repair and replacement of appliances. Certain items have other limits specified, ranging from $125 to $2,000 depending on the specific appliance or system that is in need of repair. HVAC systems have no coverage cap.

ItemCoverage limit
Interior plumbing$500
Faucets$150
Ductwork$250

America’s 1st Choice Home Club FAQ

Is a home inspection required by America’s 1st Choice Home Club?
No, a home inspection is not required to get a standard home warranty plan from America’s 1st Choice Home Club. If you wish to add optional coverage after your 30-day waiting period, an inspection may be required at your own expense.
Is there a cancellation fee for America’s 1st Choice Home Club?
If you cancel within 30 days there is no cancellation fee. For cancellation after 30 days, a $75 cancellation fee will apply.
Does America’s 1st Choice Home Club limit service requests?
There is no limit to the number of times you can request or have serviced within your contract term. There may be a limit to the dollar amount America’s 1st Choice Home Club will pay to repair a specific item per contract term.
How do I request a service from America’s 1st Choice Home Club?

You can submit claims online or over the phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To request service from America’s 1st Choice Home Club:

1. Open a new service request online or by calling America’s 1st Choice Home Club.
  2. A licensed technician will be assigned to the case within 24–48 hours.
  3. Contact your assigned technician to schedule your service for a convenient time.
  4. Pay your service call fee, and the repairs will be completed.

Is America’s 1st Choice Home Club worth it?

Offering several plans and fee options, along with 24/7 service, America’s 1st Choice Home Club is a reliable choice for home warranties. Though new policyholders can’t report a claim during the first 30 days, the company’s level of service, simple process and availability in most states make it a top contender in home protection. The option to choose between three different service fee costs is a nice perk, allowing people to choose what meets their budget best.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about America's 1st Choice Home Club?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Original review: July 20, 2020

I am 90 days from the expiration of my AHS warranty, and my horrible experience with them had me looking elsewhere. After reading that AFC was ranked "Best Overall" by Consumer Affairs, I decided to check out what they had to offer. One phone call with AFC was all it took. The account manager assigned to call me was friendly, personable, and professional. Every question or scenario, including things I went through with AHS (e.g. "In x-example, how would AFC handle this problem?") was answered thoroughly and patiently. When I didn't know which plan or payment option to choose, it didn't turn into a money-making scheme or sales pitch; it became a case of what is best for me and what will give me the best value for the dollar amount I spend. Plus, I get to choose my own technicians, which AHS never allows, which is fantastic in a rural setting where local choices are limited (AHS chooses vendor according to zip code).

Hands down, AFC is the place to go, if you are looking for a home warranty provider. Their customer service is unmatched. Their coverage plans are unbeatable. Their payment plans are so reasonable that I am kicking myself for not researching options sooner. Plus, they offer discounts on things like home security through ADT, restaurants, and a whole host of other bonuses for FREE! They're incredible. Honestly, I can't say enough good things about this company and I'm just getting started. I'm never looking back! If you are looking for a home warranty service company, go with AFC. If you are with AHS, switch as soon as you can--before your coverage ends. You will be glad you did.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Stacy,

We cannot say thank you more for your overall feedback of AFC Home Club. We are very pleased that you looked into everything we have to offer. We look forward to assisting you and your home for years to come!

Service Team

AFC Home Club

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I looked hard at ratings probably as much as anything. And then of course, I'm in the automobile warranty business. I approached a bit differently because we do the same thing. We just do it with cars. And the idea was that I wanted to read all the contracts and make sure what the limits of liability and those things were. So, that's why I adopted America's 1st Choice. It was a smart decision. We only had one experience, but they certainly did what they said they would do. However, we didn't get off on the best foot in the first phone call.

They had a waiting period that was waived for me because I went straight from one home warranty to another. And it wasn't in the records that it was waived, but they were able to go back, research the calls, called me and said, "Yeah, you're right. Our guy promised you that, and it should have been in the records, and it wasn't." It was an item that was not necessarily covered, but she said, "Just to kinda make it up for you because we know we didn't start off on the best foot, we'll absorb half of it." And I was fine with that. I would've been fine with zero if it wasn't covered. It was not a high dollar item and $300, $400 type of deals. So, what impressed me more than anything else though was the phone call back because I was thinking, "Oh, God, here we go with a runaround. Damn, I made a poor decision." But immediately I get a phone call back going, "Nope. We went and researched it. You are correct." It's not something you hear a lot.

Being in the warranty business and watching people file $6,000 claims on their cars and having it paid, I think that the industry, in a way, is really malign. Because I know what we pay, and that's the case too when it comes to home warranties. Nobody thinks they would do it. But if it was covered complaint, they would cover it. And then, how they do it with the least amount of hassle is probably the best idea about who to be working with. Because I know a lot of people who've had a claim. But nonetheless, to me, it's the ease and the way they work with you. If they would pay a claim, don't argue forever, just pay. And that's what I look for in people that I represent.

Original review: June 26, 2020

We've had a great experience so far with AFC Home Club. We had an AC repair done last month or the month before. We had an issue with a wire connecting to our AC unit into the power unit so we had to have that replaced. It is our first time owning a home and as far as ease goes, it was pretty easy to get ahold of somebody to come out and take a look at what was going on.

I had to call AFC because I remembered that when we had purchased the house, the previous owners had actually had the home warranty. They transferred our name onto their plan and they gave us the information. My mom remembered and said, "I'm pretty sure you guys need to get that fixed. And I'm pretty sure you have insurance." We took a look at it and remembered it was in our files. We just gave AFC a call and I'm actually set up for another year.

Everything was great. The tech who came was very kind. He was there to do the job and he wasn't rude. He was very on time the first day. But on the second day I never actually received a 100% assurance that somebody was gonna come and take a look at the AC unit. I got off at 5:30. Most technicians, I believe, are off at 5:00. I was really thankful that they were there and that they were very flexible in helping me get it done. It was probably like 20 minutes after they had said somebody may or may not show up. But they said it could have either been that day or the next day, so when somebody showed up, it wasn't really a big surprise.

When the tech came to look at the unit, he had the suspicion of what was going on with it. Unfortunately, it was on a Friday and it was the day after the riot started. A lot of things got a little crazy as far as shipping and things like that so he couldn't get ahold of the piece until the next week, which actually was a lot faster because he had said it was gonna take at least a week. But it was only four days, maybe. It was right after the weekend that it happened. He came out on a Wednesday and he was out by Monday.

He also stayed until he made sure that the AC unit was running correctly. He knew that we had a PowerSave on our AC unit that we weren't aware of. It took quite a long time and he was like, "I'm just gonna wait until it turns on, make sure everything's running correctly." It turns on but it wasn't running correctly. He was here for a little over an hour and a half to make sure that everything was running smoothly and that he did the job before he left.

As far as getting ahold of AFC and being able to talk to somebody in customer service, it was pretty easy. I didn't wait very long. I recommended AFC to my mom. She does refurbishing homes and she remodels them. I suggested AFC to her and told her that these were actually pretty cheap, especially with them being able to work out a payment plan, especially living in St. Paul. My mom wants to do lower income homes and I told her that it'd be a very great option for homeowners when they're first purchasing their home, especially in a low-income area.

Original review: May 9, 2020

When I had Old Republic in California, they were wonderful. I had two homes over there. The first one I had for 27 years. The one before I moved to Arizona, I had for 15 years. I was very happy with them. And so, when I came here, I had that but I wasn’t happy with them. They were checking who they were coming with. So then I went to another one and my water heater broke down. It took four days with me not having a water heater before I went out and bought my own water heater and hired a handyman to come in and put it in. So I dropped them immediately.

And then I saw the advertising with 1st Choice, and I had a repair person from Sears come in and we got into a conversation about it. He told me that he had 1st Choice, he had them for four years when he moved here, and he was happy with them. I called them and I’m happy with them. Their rep said, “If you had any problems, call me,” wherein the other one I had never did that.

My laundry room sink was leaking and my bathroom pump was broken. There was nothing major. The contractor came out. What I also liked about AFC was it was one payment for two services. The other two had a payment for each service. One was $60 service, the other one was $65 a service. When I had the other one, I said, “I’d like to get my air conditioners checked.” They charged me per conditioner so that was $120. AFC charged me a service for the both of them and it was only $65. I asked, “How do you handle that?” And the rep said, “You only get one service charge for both air conditioners.” So I signed up.

I told them, “Well, it’s my understanding that if my refrigerator breaks down that you’ll replace it with a brand new one.” And the rep said, “Well, that’s not necessarily true.” He said what other companies do is they replace it, but they do it either with a refurbished one or something that’s been in stock. They might tell me, "Okay, we’re gonna send you one," and that might be a white one or a yellow one. And I have to accept it. What he said made a lot of sense. He said, “What we’ll do is we’ll offer you money to replace it.” And I said, “Well, that’s fair too.” As long as they hold up to the agreement, I’m fine with it. The rep gave me a lot of information. I was very pleased with that. AFC satisfied my needs the first time I used them. I recommended them to one of my neighbors.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I was doing some shopping two years ago when my home warranty that I had, the insurance policy, was up. That home warranty was also ridiculous and I wasn’t happy with their service. That was when I got to America’s 1st Home Club. I'm in my second year with them now. I had a garbage disposal claim and I had to prompt the office to send me the $125 check, but I had given them three weeks of business days. I was told that I was gonna get $125 to go towards the purchase and installation of a new garbage disposal. So, it was easy. I filled out the online form, and I had thought that the turnaround time would be no more than two weeks, but it was over four weeks. I prompted them and they said it was coming and they would email it to me. It did come through.

My husband was surprised that the policy did not cover the replacement of a garbage disposal. He thought that there should be a policy to replace it of equal quality in the policy. The installation was extra, about 100. Even with the warranty, we had to come out of pocket. And we had to pay for the visit of 75, and then the tech said, “No, we gotta replace the garbage disposal.” We paid for the garbage disposal and then 75 in addition to the plumber installing the garbage disposal. But it wasn’t worthy of complaining. There was a dryer repair that they sent somebody there, and they did a good job. We called and that was a $75 visit. The contractor gotta order a part and it was done. I don’t think we paid a 75 the second time, but when the part came, the tech did a very good job, and the clothes dryer is doing fine.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your feedback, there is only 1 service fee per claim so if you did pay a second time please forward us the receipt and we will get your reimbursed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Very pleased with the "no pressure" sale. Dave ** was great to work with. Felt the coverage was what we needed and the price was fair. Really like that Dave informed us that our premiums would never go up. The 3 year option was a nice convenience as well.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

HVAC system was not working. It was fixed within 4 hours after the first call to AFC. Furnace Ignitor was replaced by technician on the first visit itself. AFC approved the replacement of the ignitor swiftly and technician had the required parts and tools.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Adam was great in explaining everything to us and working with us! His professionalism and customer service was outstanding! We highly recommend using AFC! The value was great and the coverage will be very helpful in time of need! AFC has already exceeded its expectations!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Excellent customer service, answered all of my questions, and I would recommend to a friend or family member. I have what I need to protect the largest purchase I will ever make. My previous policy with another company was not comprehensive.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Each representative has been very courteous and helpful in getting my problem resolved. My representative stayed on the phone with me to make sure everything with my technician was resolved before he disconnected. All follow-up has been excellent and continues to be.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information