3.8/5 (119 ratings)
Service fee
$75, $100 or $125

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About America's 1st Choice Home Club

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides cost-effective, extended home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect themselves against the unforeseen expenses of home upkeep and repair. With four plans to fit your budget and needs, and a 24/7 claims center, AFC Home Club has you covered.

Pros

• Flexible service call fee
    • Choose your own service technician
    • Longest labor guarantee

Cons

• Not available in four states

Bottom Line

America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers a wide range of coverage with multiple plans available. While some coverage caps are limited, their coverage variety and flexible service call fee make them stand out.

Top America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Verified

The claims rep was knowledgeable, asked several questions and got someone out within a couple of days. The technicians were timely, good and I haven’t had any issues with them. AF...

Verified

America's First Choice Home Club covered a bit more and their service call fee was less. They've just been super easy to work with. Their contractors usually come out on the same ...

America’s 1st Choice Home Club plans

America’s 1st Choice Home Club provides four levels of home warranty coverage to existing homeowners as well home warranties for buyers and sellers (available only through real estate agents). They do not require a home inspection prior to buying a warranty, but existing conditions are not covered. Optional coverages are also available, and there are no limits on service requests. They offer plans in all states excluding California, Hawaii, Nevada and South Carolina.

• Systems: This is an affordable plan for home systems only. It provides essential coverage for five of the most important systems in a household.
    • Silver: The Silver plan is ideal for homeowners looking to protect appliances. It’s also an affordable option and includes nine major appliances as well as the water heater.
    • Gold: The Gold level plan includes all Systems and Silver coverage and additionally protects ductwork. It’s a good option if you’re looking for both systems and appliance coverage.
    • Platinum: The Platinum plan provides the most extensive coverage. It includes everything in the lower plan levels, as well as several additional protections, such as plumbing stoppages.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club cost

You can get a free, instant quote on America’s 1st Choice Home Club website after putting in your current ZIP code. On average, costs for America’s 1st Choice Home Club range from $32.08 per month to $55 per month, depending on what service fee you choose. This allows homeowners to choose the best choice for their budget. A discount is available if a three-year contract is purchased.

PlanService Call FeeAnnual cost
    Systems Plan$75$450
    Silver Plan$75$450
    Gold Plan$75$550
    Platinum Plan$75$625
    *Prices for zip code 77001. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage

The plans from America’s 1st Choice Home Club cover the following systems, appliances or a combination of both. You can also customize your plan with additional optional coverages, but the specific options and associated costs may vary by region. You can find coverage for the following items across their four plans. Optional add-on items are available for an additional cost.

Covered systems:

• Garage door opener
    • Ice maker
    • Kitchen refrigerator
    • Oven/range/cooktop

Optional coverage: America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers optional add-on coverage for pool/spa equipment, septic systems, stand-alone freezers and well pumps.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage exclusions

As is standard for most home warranties, America’s 1st Choice Home Club will not cover known or unknown pre-existing conditions. Your contract also won’t cover damage due to rust, corrosion or failure due to improper use.

There will also be per-item exclusions listed in your contract. These will consist of parts or components of otherwise covered items. Your home warranty should cover all parts and components that are essential to the core function of the system or appliance but may exclude non-essential items.

For example, on their Platinum plan, America’s 1st Choice Home Club covers built-in microwaves but doesn’t cover parts like doors, glass, lights, trays, clocks or shelves. You can find a full list of exclusions via AFC Home Club's sample contract.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage limits

If not otherwise specified in your contract, America’s 1st Choice Home Club sets a $2,000 per item coverage limit per contract term for access, diagnosis, repair and replacement of appliances. Certain items have other limits specified, ranging from $125 to $2,000 depending on the specific appliance or system that is in need of repair. HVAC systems have no coverage cap.

ItemCoverage limit
    Interior plumbing$500
    Faucets$150
    Ductwork$250

America’s 1st Choice Home Club FAQ

Is a home inspection required by America’s 1st Choice Home Club?

No, a home inspection is not required to get a standard home warranty plan from America’s 1st Choice Home Club. If you wish to add optional coverage after your 30-day waiting period, an inspection may be required at your own expense.

Is there a cancellation fee for America’s 1st Choice Home Club?

If you cancel within 30 days there is no cancellation fee. For cancellation after 30 days, a $75 cancellation fee will apply.

Does America’s 1st Choice Home Club limit service requests?

There is no limit to the number of times you can request or have serviced within your contract term. There may be a limit to the dollar amount America’s 1st Choice Home Club will pay to repair a specific item per contract term.

How do I request a service from America’s 1st Choice Home Club?

You can submit claims online or over the phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To request service from America’s 1st Choice Home Club:

1. Open a new service request online or by calling America’s 1st Choice Home Club.
    2. A licensed technician will be assigned to the case within 24–48 hours.
    3. Contact your assigned technician to schedule your service for a convenient time.
    4. Pay your service call fee, and the repairs will be completed.

Is America’s 1st Choice Home Club worth it?

Offering several plans and fee options, along with 24/7 service, America’s 1st Choice Home Club is a reliable choice for home warranties. Though new policyholders can’t report a claim during the first 30 days, the company’s level of service, simple process and availability in most states make it a top contender in home protection. The option to choose between three different service fee costs is a nice perk, allowing people to choose what meets their budget best.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

I have America's 1st Choice Home Club for both of my houses. It's my first time using a home warranty, but I've got two older houses, so it is giving me a level of security. What appealed to me was the fact that I could use my own service technician and I could be reimbursed later. And that was a feature that a lot of other places did not have. It was important to me because I already have established relationships with providers or repair people, and those guys don't want to deal with the claims.

I had one claim that paid out for my refrigerator. It was efficient. Because I already had my provider, which is why I went with America's 1st Choice. He came over. He fixed it. While he was in my kitchen, I just went on the portal and I filled out the form. There were one or two questions I didn't know the answer to, so I just asked him and I submitted the form. It was reviewed quickly. And I got a decision very quickly. The processor asked for the repair person's information. They may have called him. But part of the reason I went with this policy is so that the repair person can focus on doing the repair person's job and I worry about the claim.

I like the access on the internet. I've uploaded documents on the portal. There were several claims that didn't pay out, because I was trying to learn my way around it. A couple of times, I submitted a claim and they were, “No, that doesn't qualify.” But the explanation made sense and it was consistent with the letter of the policy. So, I'm planning to continue. And based on my experience with this house, I bought one for my other house. I'm happy with it.

Hello Janet,

We are happy to hear you utilize the benefit by using your preferred technician as many of our members love this option! Thank you for being a valued member!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I've been an America's 1st Choice Home Club member for more than two years. And luckily, it's a warranty company so I did not need to call for any claims except once. That happened three months ago. But from day one since I started, and even when I needed the claim to happen and I made the call, everything was great. The service was good. Everyone was very responsive. My overall experience is great. The last person I spoke to, Rachel, is my account manager now and she's very good and responsive. And I renewed my service for another year.

When I had the service, the representative from AFC had to speak to the contractor that would do the job. He inspected the problem and said, “Okay. We figured out what is the problem," that they will bill me for roughly that much amount. So, she did that. And we're talking about 200 something. A month and a half after they did the job, they knew exactly how much time they spent and how much was the part they brought in. The actual bill was 270 something. Instead of 220, it became 270 something. So, I sent the bill and told them, “Here's the amount that the contractor billed me. And I know that they have a $75 service call. I'm gonna pay that. Can you please reimburse me with the remaining part?” So the representative that was handling the case told me, “No. They told us to 218 or 220. That is the amount. The difference is the amount we’re gonna pay.”

I told her, “I understand, but the amount that he provided you on the spot on the same day before he did the work, that was the estimated amount. But the amount I'm sharing with you now, this is a final amount on the bill. So you should be going with the bill, not with the estimated amount coming from the mouth of the contractor.” And she refused to help me with that. I said, "It's okay. I don't care about $50, I'll pay that.” I paid it and I wasn't paying attention, or maybe I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it.

When I spoke to Rachel to renew my policy, I told her about this incident. And she said she should have adjusted that to the new amount on the bill and reimburse me with the $50 or $60. She sent me a check and took care of that. But that was the only thing that I didn't like in my whole experience. Other than that, everything else was great. When I called and I needed the help that day when part of the furnace stopped, they were supportive since day one. They were so good and willing to help either by bringing a contractor to me or me finding a contractor that is licensed, and whoever will come first will do the job. And they were very flexible with that. I recommended AFC to two of my friends.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you very much for the feedback on your experience. We truly value your membership and will always try to make you 100% satisfied!

Original review: April 21, 2022

We had a leak on the first floor, in the ceiling, coming from a bathroom above. I called the insurance, asked them what to do about it and they told me that I could call whoever I preferred instead of them sending somebody. The techs called them back to confirm what was and was not going to be covered. They told me that detecting where the leak was coming from was not covered. Some plumbers offer theirs free, while some charge. The ones I engaged with charged for everything, even that first detection. They found that one valve was bad and replaced one faucet as well in the shower above the leak.

One of the reasons why I picked America's 1st Choice's insurance was the low deductible. It was $60 only, but then they have their own maximum cost that they cover. That means whatever the charge is, they pay me according to their list, meaning it's much less than the actual bill. That then applied to the water heater that was also leaking. I didn't even notice that, but the plumber showed me it was cracked and rusted. That was dangerous because it could completely burst. I called AFC and they allowed the replacement of the water heater as well, but then the bill was 2,000. They paid only 600 and said, "This is the maximum.” The difference between that and what I ended up paying out of pocket was significant on my part.

In some way, AFC covered everything and they were not that difficult to work with. The only thing is I was surprised or maybe I didn't read or understand correctly, I didn't investigate enough or everybody else does the same way. I ended up paying more than 1,500 altogether myself because it exceeded their maximum, and I didn't like that.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your feedback. With these coverages, they are a low rate for yearly coverage on 25+ items. This means it is industry standard to have limits, we hate that you had to come out of pocket and will be happy to waive your next service fee with us!

Original review: March 14, 2022

I chose America’s First Choice Home Club based on their price. I called and talked to somebody. And he said that I could use my own contractors instead of having to wait for them to schedule somebody. I've only done twice so far. I did it online. And if I asked for AFC to find somebody, I would just check that. But when I did that, they said, "Just get your own person."

One thing was the garbage disposal. AFC didn't send anybody out for that. They just said, “We'll just reimburse you.” So, my husband fixed that himself. Or we could have hired somebody. But we just bought it, and he fixed it. They just reimbursed us for the amount of the actual garbage disposal itself. And the second one, we had a leak in the bathtub. So, I had requested for them to have somebody come and do it. Because I was a little worried. I know there are some plumbers who if you want to try and work with a home warranty, they won't do it. They won't come out to your house and do the job. Because they don't want to have to deal with home warranties. So, I asked if they would send somebody, but they didn't. But it stopped leaking, so I didn't need anybody after that.

If AFC has an option for me to request them to provide somebody, they shouldn't just send it back on me to be able to find somebody. It concerned me having to try and find somebody myself, and having to ask them, “Do you deal with home warranties?” If they don't, then I have to call around and find somebody. I don’t like that part of it. Other than that, it has been easy to put in service requests.

Hello Lindsay,

We give all of our members the option to use their own licensed and insured technicians should they request to do so. If your technician does not work with home warranties, you can still use them and submit the invoice to us for review. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

The claims process is straightforward. It's not the simplest, because I have to answer quite a few questions, especially if there's an appliance that they may have to replace, etc. I have to go find the serial number, etc. They won't release anything without serial number. This probably is standard. But this is the first time that I've had a home warranty and compared to some of the others, they try to help me pay at least partially for the repairs that I may need done.

But the question-answer process is a bit lengthy to me because they have an online portal that I can submit a claim on there and explain everything in the description, etc. But they still call and ask the same question. So, a little repetitive in that case. And there were a few times that something was not covered for me, etc. But they send me all of that information upfront so it's up to me to read it and make a decision.

There is a service charge. Let's say it's a $75 service charge that if you go through one of their service technicians and that service technician comes out and they diagnose the problem for you, then that’s $75 that you have to pay the service technician up front. From there, whatever the diagnosis is, or whatever needs to be fixed, they will let you know if it's approved, etc. for them to take care of. They give you the option to go through your own service technician.

I've had the service technician that I've been working with for years, so he doesn't necessarily charge me to come out and diagnose the problem. And every time that has happened, I've still had to contribute that $75 towards my repair somehow. So even though I wasn't charged $75 from my service technician, they remove that from the repair cost, which is very annoying because why call it a service charge if they allow me to use my own service person, and if my service person does not charge me $75, then why do I still have to pay that? That's something that they can change or at least reword because it conflicts for me. But overall, I am satisfied. It’s my second year. I reached out to America's 1st Choice Home Club today to see how much it would be to renew.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

For my first claim with AFC in over a year and a half, they gave me a hard time over a technicality (they stated a failure was caused by a rodent since the tech pulled out an old mouse carcass that had died some time ago even after the tech said that it was unlikely the main cause of failure since the heater had stopped working last week and that mouse looked like it was months decomposed). They only offered $250 out of a $1400 repair. AFC said they were a value-based warranty company which meant they would only compensate for the current value of the heater instead of what it would cost to replace it with a new one. I signed up with the impression that the full cost of a new unit would be covered in the case of a failure. Charging me for a service I didn't use, and then when I finally did was inadequate and failed to meet expectations is absurd. On top of that instead of trying to remedy the situation, they charged an additional $75 cancellation fee.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I used them once for a service and the experience was good. They did the job, they took the full ownership of it, and then, in the end, I only paid the service fee. The techs figured out what needs to be checked. It was good. Having them gives me peace of mind. I'm satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

My washer stopped working. I tried LG’s website where they give you hints of how to troubleshoot, and nothing was working. I submitted the form through AFC. After four days, including a weekend, they couldn't find a technician that would work with them. So, I had to go find the technician. I'm very angry at them right now. They are a scam, they're liars and they do not hold up to what they advertise. It's all false advertisements. They say they're going to cover a repair or they're going to cover a technician just coming out. But then they don't. Then they come back to you and say, “Oh, yeah, because it was old.” But, I told them it was old when I got signed up, and they said, “Yes. We cover it. We'll do the cost of what it would be to buy a new one.”

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

The last experience I had with America's 1st Choice was perfectly seamless but the first experience was horrible and it was the dead of summer. My son is disabled and the air went out, and after I filed the claim, they told me it would be faster if I find somebody myself. So, I found a repair guy and the guy finished up. I called America's 1st Choice about payment and it turned out I would have to pay upfront. The lady was disrespectful and unprofessional. My son's therapist was here and she couldn't believe how the lady was talking to me. So, I was dreading the last time I had to call or put a claim in. I just let America's 1st Choice pick the person and I paid the $75 and it was fixed. I know not to find my own person because it's a whole bunch of mess.

You have the option to locate your own or use America’s First Choice’s contractors. But the lady said, because there was a heatwave going on, that I should just try to find my own person. So, I had to find my own company. When they sold it to me that way, to be able to have your own selection, it was sold to me from the person in the instance such that it will be faster if I use my own relationships. In that instance, I used the company that my old landlord used. Anytime, when I rented and the heat would go out, he always came. So, we had a cool relationship.

America's 1st Choice said that I would have to pay it in full and I would have to wait for them to reimburse me. But I said that I would just pay the deductible and they can pay. So last time, they found it for me. The tech was cool. There was an issue in my bathroom. For some reason, the tub wasn't draining. Then it turned out something tiny got stuck under there. But after a time, they said it must have built up. So, it ended up clogging deep down. The guy literally fixed it within a half an hour and all I had to pay was the co-pay thing and it was done. I didn't need to wait for a refund like I did the first time.

The experience got better after the first time. As long as you don't mind waiting for America's 1st Choice to find the technician, which may take a day or two, I highly recommend them. But if you want to use your own people, just be prepared to pay in full and wait for reimbursement. There should be a disclaimer because everybody can't afford it. If it would have been $1,000 that day, I wouldn't have been able to cover that. That day when I filed the claim, the lady made it sound like I would pay the company the $75 and they will cover the rest. But you pay upfront and then you get reimbursed. Whoever that lady was, she should learn how to communicate with people or get a different kind of job. Talking to people are just not for everybody.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

Our microwave went out the Sunday before Christmas, and then I put in the claim, and AFC found someone to come by. Then they called me Monday, and then the contractor came out Wednesday. They told us what the issue was, and it was cheaper to get it replaced than to fix it. We bought the new one ourselves and they came back Friday to install the new one. So now, AFC is going to send me some money for the replacement. The contractor was very friendly, and on time. They responded really quick because we had to call them back to schedule the install for the new one and all of that went well. AFC is very good about following up and their response times when you put in a claim. Also, I really like that they remind me to renew every year.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information

AFC Home Club
      GA
      afchomeclub.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: