Call toll free
4.03/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides cost-effective, extended home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect themselves against the unforeseen expenses of home upkeep and repair. With four plans to fit your budget and needs, and a 24/7 claims center, AFC Home Club has you covered.

BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers a wide range of coverage with multiple plans available. While some coverage caps are limited, their coverage variety and flexible service call fee make them stand out.

PROS

• Flexible service call fee
  • Comprehensive coverage available
  • Multiple plan options

CONS

• Some coverage caps are limited

Top America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews

12/11/2018

The claims rep was knowledgeable, asked several questions and got someone out within a couple of days. The technicians were timely, good and I haven’t had any issues with them. AFC has been able to take care of any issues that we have brought up and they have been helpful about it.

02/11/2019

America's First Choice Home Club covered a bit more and their service call fee was less. They've just been super easy to work with. Their contractors usually come out on the same day or next. I highly recommend AFC. They've been professional, courteous and focused.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club plans

America’s 1st Choice Home Club provides four levels of home warranty coverage to existing homeowners as well home warranties for buyers and sellers (available only through real estate agents). They do not require a home inspection prior to buying a warranty, but existing conditions are not covered. Optional coverages are also available, and there are no limits on service requests. They offer plans in all states excluding Alabama, California, Hawaii and South Carolina.

• Systems: This is an affordable plan for home systems only. It provides essential coverage for five of the most important systems in a household.
  • Silver: The Silver plan is ideal for homeowners looking to protect appliances. It’s also an affordable option and includes nine major appliances as well as the water heater.
  • Gold: The Gold level plan includes all Systems and Silver coverage and additionally protects ductwork. It’s a good option if you’re looking for both systems and appliance coverage.
  • Platinum: The Platinum plan provides the most extensive coverage. It includes everything in the lower plan levels, as well as several additional protections, such as plumbing stoppages.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club cost

You can get a free, instant quote on America’s 1st Choice Home Club website after putting in your current ZIP code. On average, annual costs for America’s 1st Choice Home Club range from $350 to $625 depending on what service fee you choose. This allows homeowners to choose the best choice for their budget. A discount is available if a three-year contract is purchased.

PlanService Call FeeCost
Systems Plan$75$450
Silver Plan$75$450
Gold Plan$75$550
Platinum Plan$75$625
*Prices for zip code 77001. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage

The plans from America’s 1st Choice Home Club cover the following systems, appliances or a combination of both. You can also customize your plan with additional optional coverages, but the specific options and associated costs may vary by region. You can find coverage for the following items across their four plans. Optional add-on items are available for an additional cost.

Covered systems:

• Garage door opener
  • Ice maker
  • Kitchen refrigerator
  • Oven/range/cooktop

Optional coverage: America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers optional add-on coverage for pool/spa equipment, septic systems, stand-alone freezers and well pumps.

758 America's 1st Choice Home Club Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 14, 2019

I had another company before and the person they sent drag their stuff across my floors and it was just useless. We also felt like we were kind of trapped to use whoever their vendors were, and we want to be able to decide who we want to use as repair people. Having that option is very important to us. So we left them and started looking for somebody else and found America's 1st Choice.

The only thing that was a little strange was we dealt with a hot water unit issue just recently. I was out of state when the hot water heater went bad. My boyfriend was at the house, taking care of my pets. He’s in the construction industry and he had one of his plumbers come. Sometimes with units you don’t have a lot of time to wait for a plumber to come out and diagnose and do all of those things. I just called America's 1st after I got back. It was frustrating because between hiring the plumber and the product itself in Home Depot, we only got like a $150 out of it.

I was a little frustrated with some of the people on the phone. They kept asking, “Is it old unit?” I said, “I don’t know if it’s an old unit.” And then in the meantime, he had taken it. He’s got a huge truck and the unit was taken to one of his job sites to dispose of it. They were kind of going back and forth about, “Well, how old is the unit?” and “Let me get those numbers.” At the end of the day, we still ended up with 150 bucks. And that was a little tedious. But I’m still thankful that we did get something back. It just took awhile for the rebate.

We got an awful lot of phone calls from people saying, “Hey, we wanna close this up and we were just trying to get the information of the unit, and we’re trying to find the serial numbers and try to verify the age of the unit.” So, that was a little frustrating. But it is what it is and sometimes there are certain things you can wait on, there are certain things you can’t.

And then the other opportunity we had with them was we had the guts in the toilet go out multiple times, and we went out and replaced everything with our own money. We went a month and a half where we didn’t have a flushing toilet. And I finally called them and I put in a claim and the guys came out. They were fine. They just looked at it and said we need a new toilet. We can’t fix it because the California’s laws have changed with the flow of the toilet,” which was kind of I thought would happen.

We have three bathrooms and we replaced one toilet in my son’s room, and when they came, they noticed that the two toilets weren’t definitely in code any longer. So, they were awesome and they wrote it up, and sent us a check for $600. It was good that we didn’t get jammed up on a bunch of no-code toilets. I just renewed with America's First and I’d recommend them. It’s also really good that they give people the opportunity to renew for a longer period of time, so you’re not worrying about renewing every year. I’m paying $50-some a month for the renewal right now, which is nice that I don’t have to put down hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Natalie,

Thank you for your feedback, we truly appreciate your opinion and will use this to make our processes easier.

AFC Home Club

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I had a warranty company before that I didn't like and I didn't plan to renew, so I went online and found the names of five or six companies, and I started investigating them. I had contact with a rep from America's First Choice Home Club and he listened to me. I talked about what was bothering me with my other company and what I did not need in a warranty company. Then, he explained how the AFC Club worked and I felt like if there was a problem, I had someone, at least, I could talk to. whereas with the former warranty company, I couldn't even get a supervisor to call me back.

I had a dishwasher go out the last time and from the time I called, AFC Club referred me to a company, but the referral got lost in the company's spam mail somehow and it took over a week to get that sorted out. The former company said they wanted to wait a week, so their tech who would be in town doing other work in the same community I'm in could come. However, the problem was he got sick and they canceled out on me twice. Eventually, I said that I wasn't going with them and that I was gonna get somebody on my own. So I looked for a local company in my town and got them involved.

It was about five to six weeks from start to finish, from the first initial referral all the way to when I got it fixed. When I renewed my contract with the guy at AFC, the rep said that they had changed some policies around, so I could get a referral the same day. I am hoping the next time I put in a referral, I am not gonna have to wait 48 hours even to get the name of somebody that I can try to arrange to have come out.

Years ago, I had a home warranty program with my manufactured home and I usually could get service personnel in one day. I could get a contractor out the same day I called and I didn't have to wait until something was breaking. I could get somebody to come out and they would do a check-up on the system for me. I live in one town and I work out of town, and my commute is two hours a day. If I there was anything that AFC could change, I would wish that they would consider allowing me to be able to call them and say, "Hey, can I have somebody come out from your list and have them inspect this once a year to make sure?" I have to now provide proof that I've had everything inspected, the big systems inspected according to the contract. I used to be able to just go ahead with my warranty and have those inspections done as a part of the warranty, and I wish it was still available.

I would absolutely have every system checked once a year, then, that would avoid things going because it is hard when you have to pay double. You are paying for a service call, then if they come out and they don't find anything, that is fine. Five months later, you have a problem, then you have to pay for a service call for them to come out and find out what the problem is, and that is expensive. Other than that, I am fine and I am waiting to see what happens with the next round to see how fast I can get a referral on the books and how fast I can get somebody out.

The warranty companies and the homeowners can band together to support a system where, instead of being active when something is broken, we can be proactive before things get broken. If the company was really wanting to up their game, that would be something to really seriously consider. I've looked online and it was amazing to me how many people were frustrated because they had to wait weeks to get services done and/or customer service looked like nobody wanted to talk to them. They couldn't even get the help they needed.

At least, when I called AFC's representative, I didn't get stonewalled and I didn't get told that they couldn't help me. I didn't get a refusal to give me to a supervisor, so I could at least leave a message. They, at one point, transferred it, so I could leave a message with the man with whom I renewed the contract with. On one hand, the last company was horrible. They were absolutely non-responsive. I called on a holiday weekend and they keep banker hours, Monday through Friday. I said, "Well, can you transfer me to a supervisor, so I can at least leave a message and have a callback?" They said, "No, we don't have anybody you could talk to." On the other hand, I've had very courteous service from the staff people when I've called AFC.

Melissa,

We are so glad to hear that you were happy with our reps. Dave is your account rep and we also have a huge Service Staff here for you!

AFC Home Club

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This is the first home that I purchased and the only reason that I was getting a home warranty for it was that the house had a couple of issues and the seller was able to ease my concerns by offering to pay for the first year of home warranty. I got to pick the policy and a budget for that was given as part of the seller’s agreement.

When I looked on the internet for a home warranty provider company, the first one didn’t offer the plan that I was looking for and America’s First Choice was the second one that I looked at. The main thing was that I have two AC units in my house and the other policies that I looked at wouldn’t cover two AC units. On the other hand, the reply that I got from AFC was very prompt and they offered coverage for my two AC units which was perfect because I live in Texas and in the summer heat here, I cannot be without air conditioning for too long. So, I purchased a warranty from them and the cost of the policy that I got was close to the budget that I was given.

Usually, when I submitted a claim, it was initially responded to quickly, but then getting in contact with a claims representative was sometimes frustrating. It took a little while for them to come back with all the right information and be able to answer my questions. Getting a work order started has usually been a week-long process, which could be frustrating. But for the most part, it has been all right because I expected that from just about any home warranty company.

The interactions that I’ve had with the contractors have been frustrating too because they were pretty good at fixing the issue once they knew what the issue was, but diagnosing the cause of the issue has not been a great point with them. We’ve had to call the tech out at least twice for one of our AC unit issues because when he first came out, he fixed what he thought might be the problem, then he came back to fix a different problem instead. So, he was not incredibly knowledgeable, but at least my problems have been resolved. It’s frustrating and a concern that the tech keeps coming out, but as long as the issue gets resolved in the end, then that’s really all that I care about. Typically, for a case like that, it took a week and a half from the time that I submitted the claim till the the problem was diagnosed and fixed. For one of our issues, it was almost two weeks, but for another issue that we had, it was five business days.

Regarding the quality of work that has been done, once the techs have fixed an issue, it stays fixed and we haven’t had recurring issues, at least for the couple of months that we’ve been in the house. We’ll renew with AFC. My expectation is that regardless of any misunderstandings that I may have with the company, I can expect that across-the-board and at the very least, I’ve got some experience with them, so I’ll remain with them until I get a recommendation that something else is better. It works out a little bit better for me and I really like that I can choose from a $75, $100 or $120 deductible on my policy as that gives me an illusion of control. That’s pretty nice because some other warranty companies that I looked at had a fixed plan and told me what my deductible would be.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your review. We are always striving to make sure service is expedited. Let us know if there is anything else we can do! Thank you.

AFC Home Club

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I had a home warranty at first but I didn't like it. I got jerked around a lot so I was looking for something better and going with America's First Choice Home Club was kind of a fluke. I had read on it and I liked what I read so I decided to give them a try and they turned out to be pretty good. At first, I had a problem with one claim that I submitted but they resolved it somewhat.

I had a dryer go out on me and after I called AFC, the guy that they sent out told me that he hasn't been with America's Choice long and he gave me this bogus reason why he couldn't get the job fixed. He told me my dryer was too old and that AFC wasn't gonna cover it. He even called in to someone and told him that the dryer was too old. AFC would replace it if they had to but they were gonna replace it with the value that they think it has. That dryer cost me $1,100 and they wanted to give me $350. They would be able to get the same color for $350 but they would not be able to replace the dryer with the same style.

At that point, I had already paid the $60 fee. I called in and told AFC that I wasn't satisfied with what he told me. Back then, the dryer was right at about four years old. How were they gonna tell me it was too old? When I bought the house, all of my appliances were new. But they are eventually gonna get older and I was trying to figure out if I'm gonna be able to make a claim on them. If something happens to them, would I be told that they're too old? The lady who was here explained to me that she didn't know why the technician had said that.

After about three days of dealing with it, someone finally called me back. My wife and I talked then it was decided to have somebody else out to look at the dryer. I asked AFC if I would have to pay the $60 call-up fee again and they told me no. They said they would get someone out here to us but I didn't wanna run the risk of that same guy coming to my house. I really didn't want him back at my house. I asked if it would be covered if I got someone to fix the dryer. AFC said that as long as they were qualified technicians, it would be covered. I called someone out and they fixed the dryer. I submitted that receipt to America's First Choice and they took care of it with no questions. The second lady I spoke to was really professional about it. She apologized about what happened and they got it taken care of.

When I had issues with my washer, I called AFC to see if they could come out and fix it, and the representative took the time with me. She walked me through some things to see if we could get it working without having to send someone out. Well, the steps that she went through fixed the washer and it has been fine since then. That was about five months ago. I really had an enjoyable experience with America's First Choice. I love the payment plan too. You pay for 18 months then you wouldn't have to pay for the other 18 months. You can't beat that.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear about your experience with AFC!

AFC Home Club

Original review: July 28, 2018

I looked up the top 10 consumer warranty companies, read several articles and looked at reviews, and America's First Choice Home Club came out on top, price- and service-wise. I then spoke with them and was able to obtain a military discount as well, which made it even more affordable for the family. I was able to get my whole house covered for five hundred bucks. It was a good deal and then when it was time to renew, the gentleman I had spoken to even sent me an email saying, “Hey, it’s time for renewal and I wanna make sure that you continue to get the discount that I promised you the first time for the military. So are you willing to re-up?” That was so nice of him.

AFC's service department opens up at 9:30 Eastern Standard Time and if you call before that, you wind up getting their call center which will then refer you but they won’t take the information and generate a claim for you. By the time I called for an AC claim, they were open and they were very responsive. They emailed me back immediately. But they couldn’t get a technician to me within 24 hours and they called me back. A local technician had installed my new unit and I asked if I could utilize him since we had a 95-degree weather and was still warm. Tom's service call actually cost less than the $60 service call through America’s First Choice and they allowed it. It was wonderful for me. I even got better savings there. Tom was able to take care of the issue at minimal to no cost to us.

AFC's technician also called me and I told him that the issue had already been taken care of. He said that he got a service ticket generated and he wanted to make sure that he followed up. So even their own technicians are local businesses like the gentleman I was able to contract and were wonderful. AFC also called back and asked how it went and if everything was okay. They’re the model for what service should be like and I appreciated the fact that they were willing to work with me. They listened to me and just the fact that they were willing to address the issues I had in such a professional and timely manner is a true bonus to them. I’ve been very pleased with their service and customer care.

The air conditioning unit was not working right again today and I was able to ask Tom. He could get there this morning and the warranty company said yes again. They’re just wonderful. I have a friend who's a realtor and I recommended AFC to her for her future clients because they’re that good. In fact, I will be purchasing us a home warranty for this home because I thought it’s a wonderful way to go. We would be returning home within four years after our duty station here is finished and I would love to keep my home in the best light possible so that when we move back in, we’ll have no problems. Even though all my appliances in this home are new, I still think it’s a good idea because you never know what unforeseen expense there would be. It could wipe out your savings in a heartbeat.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your review! We look forward to helping you in the future.

AFC Home Club

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Original review: June 24, 2019

Long story short my contractor (D3S service form Tomball, TX) that was supposed to be at my house 6/19/19, called me approx 1300 on 6/19/19, told me they would not be able to show up but would show up next day. That was unexceptionable!! After I off work. I called my rep with AFC and he called me back in approx 15 min. And told me AFC would replace entire unit no charge (over range microwave $400 value) due to the mix up from the contractor. I will be a lifetime customer with AFC if they continuously have the professional and very respectful reps in the future!! Very easy process with AFC! Customer form TX.

Mr. Gray,

Thank you for your feedback!

Service Team

Original review: June 20, 2019

I've been with America's First for a year and the reps were positive and helpful. I’ve recommended them.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for the feedback!

AFC Home Club

Original review: June 19, 2019

I had another warranty company that raised the price without notifying and they had a lot of other options that I didn’t agree with, and that’s when I switched to America's 1st Choice. I make the claim over the phone, and then I’m able to use anybody I want, which is a good feature. Because a lot of people that I do use may not be in the service. But whatever the bill is, I go through them. And then my maintenance fee is $60. I do everything over the phone, and then I fax it. It usually takes a couple of weeks before you get a check. So it’s pretty good. There has been a couple of issues, like they didn't cover the ice maker and a part of the pool. But everything else has been really good. It’s been a couple of years now since I signed up with them, and I just did a renewal. So far, so good.

Ms. Padilla,

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your renewal and look forward to servicing your home.

Service Team

Original review: June 13, 2019

I did my research and liked the cost of America's 1st Choice as well as what they provided. Their claims process is pretty easy. I call them and customer service is very nice. But when I made a service request for my AC because the wheel thing came off, I wasn’t too pleased with the technician who came. America's 1st Choice helped me with part of that, so that made up for what the technician did. It seemed that the wheel thing was not under my 60 days for the warranty company to cover everything, but they still went ahead and paid the 150 for me because the technician did the work before he even told me what the cost would be out of pocket on my end. That was a year ago. Everything is good so far. We also made a service request for plumbing and that went fine.

Ms. Adelman,

We are happy to hear that you are pleased with AFC!

Service Team

Original review: June 12, 2019

I've been with AFC going on four years and submitting a claim with them was easy. The reps were very nice and they did the best they can. They put the claim in and answered the questions. They were very courteous.

Ms. Ruffin,

Thank you for your feedback on your experience.

AFC Home Club

Original review: June 11, 2019

I chose AFC over a different home warranty provider because of the service charge and the coverage. We've done one claim and it was very smooth with the claims reps. They were very courteous. The technicians were wonderful. They were on time, courteous and very professional. They came in and did exactly what they were supposed to do.

Original review: June 10, 2019

AFC called me at renewal time and they made it very easy, so we just renewed for two years. I was able to pay by phone. I would definitely recommend them to a friend.

Ms. Kassel,

Thank you for your feedback, we look forward to servicing your homes needs for years to come!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 9, 2019

I looked up AFC online and thought it was pretty good. When I talked to the consultant for a couple of days, it looked very promising. I've been with them for 3 years but my experience with them over the years has been horrible. My refrigerator went out a couple of years ago and they had somebody come out. That cost me 60 bucks. They said the compressor was out and I had to fork out, out of my own pocket, to replace it. My microwave went out and it was the same thing. It cost me $300 to replace it. My washing machine went out and it cost me $500 to fix it out of my own pocket.

They haven’t covered a single one. The worst thing was the air-conditioner. I just had that done in October and it wasn’t completely finished ‘cause that cost a lot of money. They had to replace my central air ‘cause the compressor and everything were just gone. That and the heater in my attic have to coincide with each other. That cost me $12,000. It took them a few months because of my finances. I was inspected and approved in February but insurance sucked. They said they’d reimburse me at least $100 but they didn’t reimburse me a dime. I paid this policy for a few years. It’s $50-some a month. If I would’ve saved that money, I would’ve been able to procure a refrigerator with that 'cause my refrigerator cost me fifteen hundred bucks.

My dishwasher’s out, but I’m gonna have to wait to save some money to replace that because the insurance is not what it cracks up to be. First Choice is not a very good choice. They’re not good at all. I’ve had to replace so many things here. It’s just ridiculous. That was the straw. I don’t have insurance right now at all because of them. I don’t think I’ll ever get insurance and I’ve had homeowner’s insurance like that for 25, 30 years. There was no help whatsoever after paying all these years of premiums. I do not recommend them.

Ms. Kilby,

Please be aware we have no request for a Microwave or Washer Machine on your account, are you sure you called them into the right company?. We never sent a technician to your home on these nor was a Service Request opened. We show your Air conditioning request was satisfied and the Refridgerator request was authorized but a receipt was not sent to AFC so that your reimbursement could be mailed prior to your account expiring. A customer service representative will be reaching you to you shortly concerning these matters, thank you.

AFC Service Team

Original review: June 8, 2019

We were buying a house last year and I researched different places online. I looked at reviews and what people said about the warranty companies. We got America's First Choice but we kinda forgot that we had gotten it. I then got an email saying the renewal was due because it has been a year. I wondered if any of that stuff we had fixed by the local handyman would have been covered.

We called AFC the other day to renew our warranty. We also wanted to talk to somebody about it now that we didn’t have all the stress of buying the house on us. The guy I talked to last year was super helpful. The one we talked to recently, John, was really helpful too. He spent a lot of time with us on the phone and we were able to ask all our questions. He told us about some of the things that we've gotten and he was able to reduce a little bit off our rate going forward. He understood and made sure that we understood the whole process and how we were supposed to go forward. If we have something, we know what to do now and who to call. It was a super positive experience.

Ms. Gilbert,

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate you going another year with AFC and looked forward to servicing your needs.

Randy

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2019

The sales associate of America's 1st was the only reason I went with the warranty company. His name is Mike and he was a great guy. He was the rep that called me persistently to have me sign up on the warranty. I love the fact that he was nice enough to follow up on me. I value that. America's 1st is a little bit more responsive. The process was pretty okay. He called me, I gave him the credit card and it was done.

The claims process, on the other hand, was not good. When I submitted a claim for my dishwasher, a lady named Amanda took all my information then she asked if I wanted to find my own people to come and do the work or if they should find one. Why would I want to go look for one when they are the home warranty? They should be recommending me an electrician and I shouldn’t be looking for one.

The next day when the people called to come and make an appointment to get the dishwasher fixed, I had to give all the information to their electrician because Amanda forgot to give all the information to them. When I was asked about the unit number the first day, I went to the back of the dishwasher. I was able to read all the unit number, take a picture, and give the number. But when the electrician called me asking for all that information, I was in the office. Nobody was home then. It was really tough for me to get all that information again. That was the part I didn’t like.

Besides that, I don’t have a problem with America's 1st. The electrician fixed the dishwasher and it should be okay. But the next time something happens to one of the items in the house, when we call, America's 1st should find a vendor, give them the information then everything should be transferred to the vendor. We shouldn’t be giving all the information to the vendor because it has nothing to do with us anymore.

Mr. Noor,

Many people across the country love the fact that you can choose your our technicians. But this is not something you have to do. It is simply a question we ask since many people have servicemen/women they prefer. We have thousands of technicians nationwide that we can assign the same day to you! I have notated your account that you always prefer that we choose a tech for you. Thank you.

AFC Home Club

Original review: June 5, 2019

Things kept going wrong and we needed something. AFC is the only warranty that we found that would cover us for the time that we were looking for. I would recommend them.

Ms. Trippi,

We are always flexible to work with our members! Thank you for your feedback.

AFC Service Team

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 4, 2019

The company does not actually help you if the unit is under "parts only" warranty. You pay full price for service without them assisting. So this is the deal, not only is the company horrible at responding to calls, they do everything in their power to NOT help the client out with service on broken systems. The AC unit is covered under the service contract, BUT in their horribly long and misleading guidelines they have catches that screw over the consumer. In my instance, the AC unit is not blowing out cold air but the unit was installed 3 months ago.

Through Goodman, I have a parts warranty for 10 years. Well, as AFC Home Club tells me, "Your request has been denied because you have a manufacturer warranty already in place. It clearly states in our guidelines if there is a manufacturers warranty we have to step out completely." Well then can anyone tell me the point of using them?? My electric company has a much better deal where they actually cover the service and parts if the parts cost!! Why would anyone in their right mind use this service, other than because they were tricked.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 31, 2019

We did our due diligence when we bought our new home with a home inspection and purchased a gold package home warranty for added protection from the unknown. Once it was time to used the warranty we found they had exceptions built into their fine print to get them out of 90% of the common failures on appliances. We used it once for our furnace and were told this new issue we were having was a “pre-existing condition” therefore they wouldn’t help pay for any of the issues. We had a good bill of health from the home inspector and we didn’t notice this issue for 6+ months. How could it be pre-existing?

Couple months later we had to replace our water heater because it wasn’t heating anymore and had started to leak. Once again they had an exception on covering the tank of the water heater. Again no assistance in helping what we thought this home warranty was suppose to help with. Bait and switch tactics. Show you everything it covers on the website, they take your money and then mail you the paperwork with all the fine print outlining all the exclusions. BUYER BEWARE.

Mr. Jones,

The technician on your Ductwork request stated it was improperly installed. I assumed you would have met with the technician on the previous homeowner concerning that, this is why it was not addressed, my apologies. No warranty company covers improper install by another party. If you received a second opinion that is different from the improper install we would be happy to review it.

Original review: May 30, 2019

When we went to purchase our house that we’re living in now, the seller was offering a year of home protection and America's 1st Choice Home Club was the company that was recommended that we use. Then the person who was purchasing our house was asking for a home warranty for a year so we used the same one there as well. We’ve been here two years and we just renewed it for another three years. We’ve been very pleased with their service. The overall claims process is very good. AFC makes it very easy and their plan covers more than some of the others. From speaking with some of our friends, theirs don’t seem to cover as many different things in the home as this program does. So we’ve been very pleased and we plan to keep it. We’ve recommended it to a couple of our friends as well.

All we do to submit a claim is call the number. They take our information then usually, within a few minutes, we would have an email giving us the information. We’ve had to use AFC a couple of times and every time we’ve called, they’ve been very prompt. They've gotten someone out here right away and they always follow up to make sure that whoever’s gonna be fixing whatever appliance it is has contacted us in a timely manner and followed up. All of the people have been very knowledgeable and helpful. The people that AFC has sent have been very reliable as well. They have fixed what we needed and we haven’t had any problems whatsoever with the things that have been worked on. We’ve just gotten excellent service.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your feedback! Please be aware we offer $25.00 referral program for customers who recommend members who purchase. Make sure you let your friends know about this or send us a list of people who you recommended and purchased and we will process the incentives for you! We truly appreciate your business and look forward to helping you for years to come!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 29, 2019

I found AFC online and at the time, they had good reviews. I've been with them for three years and it evolved into normal home warranty companies where you feel they're just trying to rip you off in the end. We had a dishwasher that broke and they wouldn't even give us enough money to pay somebody to install a new dishwasher. We've had other claims, but we've had to come out-of-pocket more than we expected on all of them. The technicians have been fine but the biggest issue with the AFC is AFC.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 28, 2019

Do not waste your money buying a useless warranty with this company. The fan on my dishwasher failed and it isn't on their list of covered items, which is a very short list. Since this is the first claim that I have submitted with them, I told them to cancel my policy and refund my (platinum!) premium. They told me to write a letter to their company and they would prorate the refund amount and charge me an additional $75 for the privilege of cancelling the policy. Not customer friendly at all. I asked the repair technician whether this is typical of home warranty companies and he told me that in his experience, appliances are generally covered in full, and that the fan would have been covered by most other warranty companies.

Ms. Budne,

Your dishwasher was clogged and the drain line was crushed, We covered that portion of your repair but when the second portion arose we were unable to help as the fan is listed as excluded. AFC is very transparent and lists its coverage clearly. Normally clogs caused by misuse would not be covered but we went above and beyond to help clean your unit. We apologize that you were not satisfied and will be cancelling but as goodwill, I have noted your account for the cancellation fee to be waived.

AFC Home Club

Original review: May 25, 2019

I bought a home in 2015 which was built in 1988. I got AFC Home Club warranty and I've had them for three and a half years. It's giving me a sense of comfort knowing that if I have to use it, I've got somewhere to go.

Mr. Hamlin,

We are pleased to hear that you are happy with your services. Please remember we are available 24/7.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I have had very few claims, most of them small. All of them ending up costing me. This one though takes the cake, in Texas I have no AC. During annual servicing it was discovered my main unit was getting no power, so I filed a claim for the AC. Diagnosis determined the small unit was fine but the main unit was getting no power from the Breaker Box. Second claim filed for an Electrician. The electrician was dispatched. He determined three repairs were needed to get power back to my AC Unit. These costs totaled $750, of this AFC paid $250 because these repairs were inside the house. The remainder were outside the house at the AC unit and thus "not covered". Fine, repairs made and paid. Now I am waiting for their check for $250. Invoice sent to AFC as proof of repair and vendor paid. Service Request closed.

AC provider dispatched, problem diagnosed. Compressor grounded in main unit. AC must be replaced. It is not repairable. Diagnoses provided to AFC. They promise a 24 hour turnaround, the provider could replace unit on Thursday (Have I mentioned this is the week leading up to Memorial Day Weekend in Texas?). Twenty-four hours later, no decision. Friday, the day before the long weekend and it is 93 degrees at 10:30 am, finally I reach someone who informs me they are declining my claim for the following:

1. There is no proof I did maintenance last year.
2. There is no proof I did the repairs required last year.

3. There is no proof I did maintenance this year.

Let me take this all in, first of all this was all because I was getting annual maintenance this year so that takes care of #3. Now, let's deal with 2 and 3. Last year I thought I was having a problem, turns out I was. I didn't know there was a filter that needed to be replaced up in the attic, thought the one in the office was the only one. When I called AFC they sent out an incompetent and dishonest provider who:

1. Stated I had a Freon leak requiring repairs.

2. Replaced the filter backwards causing it to be sucked into the air return and blocking it. This caused a leak in the ceiling and significant damage to my property.

When I called AFC they said this was my problem. I informed them I would not allow their provider back onto my property, that I would be bring my own provider in and have them review what their provider did, service the AC and determine what was needed. This was done. The cost of service and diagnose was 39.95, the invoice for this was sent to AFC. They acknowledge receipt of this. What was discovered? There was no leak, only the damage caused by the AFC recommended provider.

It is my understanding, last year AFC was prepared to pay for repairs that were not required. Now they refuse to pay for repair that is necessary. My vendor, was honest, did not look to do repairs that were not required and serviced my units appropriately. Now a 62 year old woman with heart problems is sitting in 90 degree heat with no air because this company has found a way out of their obligations.

Yes, some of their customer service people are quite nice. They have been taught well to show empathy as they deliver the bad news that they won't be covering your loss, that you have been paying for nothing all this time. Yes, they are quite nice as they cover up that you are out of pocket for the repair and they have to mail you the check despite they have the technology to take your money out of your bank, somehow they don't have the technology to pay you. This is not a company looking to partner with you in a balanced manner. They are there for themselves. Look elsewhere if you are looking for true warranty coverage on those big ticket items that can and do cause real hardship.

Original review: May 24, 2019

We’ve used America's 1st for about two years and submitting claims with them hadn’t been hard. But I had an issue with my garage. I just bought my house and they were telling me my door was too old so it wasn’t covered. Other than that, our experience was fine. Customer service was really good and their contractors were great once they showed up.

Mr. Bryne,

I am not showing a request for a Garage Door on file. Just because an item is old does not mean there is not coverage available for the value. A customer service representative will be reaching out to you concerning this, if you wish to call we can also research what took place with that. Besides the Garage Door sitaution we are thrilled to hear that you are satisfied. Thank you.

AFC Home Club

Original review: May 21, 2019

Being with AFC Home Club close to a year, I’ve called them a couple of times and our experience has been great. I found them online after our heating and air conditioner broke down and got them since their rep whom I spoke with was pretty knowledgeable.

Original review: May 20, 2019

My experience with AFC Home Club has been great. I got them after googling and calling a few places, and they gave me a good price. I bought a four-year coverage and got the top of the line plan. I've been with them for about two and a half years now, and have had one or two claims filed. The last one I did was for my microwave, where the rep that I got was very helpful and got back to me in a timely manner. Somebody came to fix the microwave, but there was some confusion then. They said that it was not covered. But the person that I was speaking to then finally okayed it. I ended up buying a new microwave, and they reimbursed me for that money.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I’m very pleased with America's 1st Choice Home Club. The first call I made the person that answered the phone was very helpful and very informative so I went to them. We’re going into our third year and their reps have been helpful. They do a follow-up and their technicians have been very good. I plan on being with them for a while. It worked out very well so far.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Experience for the past year was ok. Had a refrigerator and stove that were old and broke. Policy only gave me $125 towards a new one, which isn't even close to the cost to replace them. Understand that there is depreciation, but if I had this plan for many year I would have been very dissatisfied with the amount. Especially since I gave them a copy of the inspection report and everything was working at the time I purchased the home. Everyday type things (plumbing, electrical) the policy is good for. I think misleading on bigger items like appliances (if they need to be replaced) and furnace and a/c. Not sure if the policy is worth the cost.

Original review: May 18, 2019

One of my friends recommended America’s 1st Choice. I had been with them for the first three years, and then I renewed for another three years just now. Compared to the plans they have and what they're offering, they have better offers than the other competitors. So far, I have given them four service calls and they fulfilled all of them, except for one where it was not covered under warranty. But most of the issue that the items covered under warranty were either fixed or replaced. I've had no issues with their reps as well. They were prompt in responding, in following up and in getting me appointment schedule with the technicians. Within few hours I would get a call to schedule the time.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I am a new customer with America's 1st Choice. I was unhappy with the previous company I was dealing with. America First was recommended to me by someone who works with them. I looked into it and dealing with the person, all my questions were answered and I felt very comfortable with them, so I have now changed companies to America 1st.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage exclusions

As is standard for most home warranties, America’s 1st Choice Home Club will not cover known or unknown pre-existing conditions. Your contract also won’t cover damage due to rust, corrosion or failure due to improper use.

There will also be per-item exclusions listed in your contract. These will consist of parts or components of otherwise covered items. Your home warranty should cover all parts and components that are essential to the core function of the system or appliance but may exclude non-essential items.

For example, on their Platinum plan, America’s 1st Choice Home Club covers built-in microwaves but doesn’t cover parts like doors, glass, lights, trays, clocks or shelves. You can find a full list of exclusions via AFC Home Club's sample contract.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage limits

If not otherwise specified in your contract, America’s 1st Choice Home Club sets a $2,000 per item coverage limit per contract term for access, diagnosis, repair and replacement of appliances. Certain items have other limits specified, ranging from $125 to $2,000 depending on the specific appliance or system that is in need of repair. HVAC systems have no coverage cap.

ItemCoverage limit
Interior plumbing$500
Faucets$150
Ductwork$250

America’s 1st Choice Home Club FAQ

Is a home inspection required by America’s 1st Choice Home Club?
No, a home inspection is not required to get a standard home warranty plan from America’s 1st Choice Home Club. If you wish to add optional coverage after your 30-day waiting period, an inspection may be required at your own expense.
Is there a cancellation fee for America’s 1st Choice Home Club?
If you cancel within 30 days there is no cancellation fee. For cancellation after 30 days, a $75 cancellation fee will apply.
Does America’s 1st Choice Home Club limit service requests?
There is no limit to the number of times you can request or have serviced within your contract term. There may be a limit to the dollar amount America’s 1st Choice Home Club will pay to repair a specific item per contract term.
How do I request a service from America’s 1st Choice Home Club?

You can submit claims online or over the phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To request service from America’s 1st Choice Home Club:

1. Open a new service request online or by calling America’s 1st Choice Home Club.
  2. A licensed technician will be assigned to the case within 24–48 hours.
  3. Contact your assigned technician to schedule your service for a convenient time.
  4. Pay your service call fee, and the repairs will be completed.

Is America’s 1st Choice Home Club worth it?

Offering several plans and fee options, along with 24/7 service, America’s 1st Choice Home Club is a reliable choice for home warranties. Though new policyholders can’t report a claim during the first 30 days, the company’s level of service, simple process and availability in most states make it a top contender in home protection. The option to choose between three different service fee costs is a nice perk, allowing people to choose what meets their budget best.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information