3.6/5 (126 ratings)
View Plan

About America's 1st Choice Home Club

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides cost-effective, extended home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect themselves against the unforeseen expenses of home upkeep and repair. With four plans to fit your budget and needs, and a 24/7 claims center, AFC Home Club has you covered.

Pros

• Flexible service call fee
    • Choose your own service technician
    • Longest labor guarantee

Cons

• Not available in four states

Bottom Line

America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers a wide range of coverage with multiple plans available. While some coverage caps are limited, their coverage variety and flexible service call fee make them stand out.

Top America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Verified

The claims rep was knowledgeable, asked several questions and got someone out within a couple of days. The technicians were timely, good and I haven’t had any issues with them. AF...

Verified

America's First Choice Home Club covered a bit more and their service call fee was less. They've just been super easy to work with. Their contractors usually come out on the same ...

America’s 1st Choice Home Club plans

America’s 1st Choice Home Club provides four levels of home warranty coverage to existing homeowners as well home warranties for buyers and sellers (available only through real estate agents). They do not require a home inspection prior to buying a warranty, but existing conditions are not covered. Optional coverages are also available, and there are no limits on service requests. They offer plans in all states excluding California, Hawaii, Nevada and South Carolina.

• Systems: This is an affordable plan for home systems only. It provides essential coverage for five of the most important systems in a household.
    • Silver: The Silver plan is ideal for homeowners looking to protect appliances. It’s also an affordable option and includes nine major appliances as well as the water heater.
    • Gold: The Gold level plan includes all Systems and Silver coverage and additionally protects ductwork. It’s a good option if you’re looking for both systems and appliance coverage.
    • Platinum: The Platinum plan provides the most extensive coverage. It includes everything in the lower plan levels, as well as several additional protections, such as plumbing stoppages.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club cost

You can get a free, instant quote on America’s 1st Choice Home Club website after putting in your current ZIP code. On average, costs for America’s 1st Choice Home Club range from $32.08 per month to $55 per month, depending on what service fee you choose. This allows homeowners to choose the best choice for their budget. A discount is available if a three-year contract is purchased.

PlanService Call FeeAnnual cost
    Systems Plan$75$450
    Silver Plan$75$450
    Gold Plan$75$550
    Platinum Plan$75$625
    *Prices for zip code 77001. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage

The plans from America’s 1st Choice Home Club cover the following systems, appliances or a combination of both. You can also customize your plan with additional optional coverages, but the specific options and associated costs may vary by region. You can find coverage for the following items across their four plans. Optional add-on items are available for an additional cost.

Covered systems:

• Garage door opener
    • Ice maker
    • Kitchen refrigerator
    • Oven/range/cooktop

Optional coverage: America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers optional add-on coverage for pool/spa equipment, septic systems, stand-alone freezers and well pumps.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage exclusions

As is standard for most home warranties, America’s 1st Choice Home Club will not cover known or unknown pre-existing conditions. Your contract also won’t cover damage due to rust, corrosion or failure due to improper use.

There will also be per-item exclusions listed in your contract. These will consist of parts or components of otherwise covered items. Your home warranty should cover all parts and components that are essential to the core function of the system or appliance but may exclude non-essential items.

For example, on their Platinum plan, America’s 1st Choice Home Club covers built-in microwaves but doesn’t cover parts like doors, glass, lights, trays, clocks or shelves. You can find a full list of exclusions via AFC Home Club's sample contract.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club coverage limits

If not otherwise specified in your contract, America’s 1st Choice Home Club sets a $2,000 per item coverage limit per contract term for access, diagnosis, repair and replacement of appliances. Certain items have other limits specified, ranging from $125 to $2,000 depending on the specific appliance or system that is in need of repair. HVAC systems have no coverage cap.

ItemCoverage limit
    Interior plumbing$500
    Faucets$150
    Ductwork$250

America’s 1st Choice Home Club FAQ

Is a home inspection required by America’s 1st Choice Home Club?

No, a home inspection is not required to get a standard home warranty plan from America’s 1st Choice Home Club. If you wish to add optional coverage after your 30-day waiting period, an inspection may be required at your own expense.

Is there a cancellation fee for America’s 1st Choice Home Club?

If you cancel within 30 days there is no cancellation fee. For cancellation after 30 days, a $75 cancellation fee will apply.

Does America’s 1st Choice Home Club limit service requests?

There is no limit to the number of times you can request or have serviced within your contract term. There may be a limit to the dollar amount America’s 1st Choice Home Club will pay to repair a specific item per contract term.

How do I request a service from America’s 1st Choice Home Club?

You can submit claims online or over the phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To request service from America’s 1st Choice Home Club:

1. Open a new service request online or by calling America’s 1st Choice Home Club.
    2. A licensed technician will be assigned to the case within 24–48 hours.
    3. Contact your assigned technician to schedule your service for a convenient time.
    4. Pay your service call fee, and the repairs will be completed.

Is America’s 1st Choice Home Club worth it?

Offering several plans and fee options, along with 24/7 service, America’s 1st Choice Home Club is a reliable choice for home warranties. Though new policyholders can’t report a claim during the first 30 days, the company’s level of service, simple process and availability in most states make it a top contender in home protection. The option to choose between three different service fee costs is a nice perk, allowing people to choose what meets their budget best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about America's 1st Choice Home Club?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Original review: April 30, 2022

I've been an America's 1st Choice Home Club member for more than two years. And luckily, it's a warranty company so I did not need to call for any claims except once. That happened three months ago. But from day one since I started, and even when I needed the claim to happen and I made the call, everything was great. The service was good. Everyone was very responsive. My overall experience is great. The last person I spoke to, Rachel, is my account manager now and she's very good and responsive. And I renewed my service for another year.

When I had the service, the representative from AFC had to speak to the contractor that would do the job. He inspected the problem and said, “Okay. We figured out what is the problem," that they will bill me for roughly that much amount. So, she did that. And we're talking about 200 something. A month and a half after they did the job, they knew exactly how much time they spent and how much was the part they brought in. The actual bill was 270 something. Instead of 220, it became 270 something. So, I sent the bill and told them, “Here's the amount that the contractor billed me. And I know that they have a $75 service call. I'm gonna pay that. Can you please reimburse me with the remaining part?” So the representative that was handling the case told me, “No. They told us to 218 or 220. That is the amount. The difference is the amount we’re gonna pay.”

I told her, “I understand, but the amount that he provided you on the spot on the same day before he did the work, that was the estimated amount. But the amount I'm sharing with you now, this is a final amount on the bill. So you should be going with the bill, not with the estimated amount coming from the mouth of the contractor.” And she refused to help me with that. I said, "It's okay. I don't care about $50, I'll pay that.” I paid it and I wasn't paying attention, or maybe I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it.

When I spoke to Rachel to renew my policy, I told her about this incident. And she said she should have adjusted that to the new amount on the bill and reimburse me with the $50 or $60. She sent me a check and took care of that. But that was the only thing that I didn't like in my whole experience. Other than that, everything else was great. When I called and I needed the help that day when part of the furnace stopped, they were supportive since day one. They were so good and willing to help either by bringing a contractor to me or me finding a contractor that is licensed, and whoever will come first will do the job. And they were very flexible with that. I recommended AFC to two of my friends.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you very much for the feedback on your experience. We truly value your membership and will always try to make you 100% satisfied!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2022

We had a leak on the first floor, in the ceiling, coming from a bathroom above. I called the insurance, asked them what to do about it and they told me that I could call whoever I preferred instead of them sending somebody. The techs called them back to confirm what was and was not going to be covered. They told me that detecting where the leak was coming from was not covered. Some plumbers offer theirs free, while some charge. The ones I engaged with charged for everything, even that first detection. They found that one valve was bad and replaced one faucet as well in the shower above the leak.

One of the reasons why I picked America's 1st Choice's insurance was the low deductible. It was $60 only, but then they have their own maximum cost that they cover. That means whatever the charge is, they pay me according to their list, meaning it's much less than the actual bill. That then applied to the water heater that was also leaking. I didn't even notice that, but the plumber showed me it was cracked and rusted. That was dangerous because it could completely burst. I called AFC and they allowed the replacement of the water heater as well, but then the bill was 2,000. They paid only 600 and said, "This is the maximum.” The difference between that and what I ended up paying out of pocket was significant on my part.

In some way, AFC covered everything and they were not that difficult to work with. The only thing is I was surprised or maybe I didn't read or understand correctly, I didn't investigate enough or everybody else does the same way. I ended up paying more than 1,500 altogether myself because it exceeded their maximum, and I didn't like that.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your feedback. With these coverages, they are a low rate for yearly coverage on 25+ items. This means it is industry standard to have limits, we hate that you had to come out of pocket and will be happy to waive your next service fee with us!

Original review: March 14, 2022

I chose America’s First Choice Home Club based on their price. I called and talked to somebody. And he said that I could use my own contractors instead of having to wait for them to schedule somebody. I've only done twice so far. I did it online. And if I asked for AFC to find somebody, I would just check that. But when I did that, they said, "Just get your own person."

One thing was the garbage disposal. AFC didn't send anybody out for that. They just said, “We'll just reimburse you.” So, my husband fixed that himself. Or we could have hired somebody. But we just bought it, and he fixed it. They just reimbursed us for the amount of the actual garbage disposal itself. And the second one, we had a leak in the bathtub. So, I had requested for them to have somebody come and do it. Because I was a little worried. I know there are some plumbers who if you want to try and work with a home warranty, they won't do it. They won't come out to your house and do the job. Because they don't want to have to deal with home warranties. So, I asked if they would send somebody, but they didn't. But it stopped leaking, so I didn't need anybody after that.

If AFC has an option for me to request them to provide somebody, they shouldn't just send it back on me to be able to find somebody. It concerned me having to try and find somebody myself, and having to ask them, “Do you deal with home warranties?” If they don't, then I have to call around and find somebody. I don’t like that part of it. Other than that, it has been easy to put in service requests.

Hello Lindsay,

We give all of our members the option to use their own licensed and insured technicians should they request to do so. If your technician does not work with home warranties, you can still use them and submit the invoice to us for review. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

The claims process is straightforward. It's not the simplest, because I have to answer quite a few questions, especially if there's an appliance that they may have to replace, etc. I have to go find the serial number, etc. They won't release anything without serial number. This probably is standard. But this is the first time that I've had a home warranty and compared to some of the others, they try to help me pay at least partially for the repairs that I may need done.

But the question-answer process is a bit lengthy to me because they have an online portal that I can submit a claim on there and explain everything in the description, etc. But they still call and ask the same question. So, a little repetitive in that case. And there were a few times that something was not covered for me, etc. But they send me all of that information upfront so it's up to me to read it and make a decision.

There is a service charge. Let's say it's a $75 service charge that if you go through one of their service technicians and that service technician comes out and they diagnose the problem for you, then that’s $75 that you have to pay the service technician up front. From there, whatever the diagnosis is, or whatever needs to be fixed, they will let you know if it's approved, etc. for them to take care of. They give you the option to go through your own service technician.

I've had the service technician that I've been working with for years, so he doesn't necessarily charge me to come out and diagnose the problem. And every time that has happened, I've still had to contribute that $75 towards my repair somehow. So even though I wasn't charged $75 from my service technician, they remove that from the repair cost, which is very annoying because why call it a service charge if they allow me to use my own service person, and if my service person does not charge me $75, then why do I still have to pay that? That's something that they can change or at least reword because it conflicts for me. But overall, I am satisfied. It’s my second year. I reached out to America's 1st Choice Home Club today to see how much it would be to renew.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

We’ve used AFC for personal and business use for years and have seen their service really improve in the last 2 years. The online claim submittal process is seamless and there is less hassle and fewer games played when an appliance needs to be cashed out and replaced. Whereas a few years before I had to jump through massive hoops to be reimbursed and was even belittled when I had a high end appliance needing a complex and expensive repair (I was told this is the last time we will help with this unit). For another unit I wasn’t even offered a cash out/replacement. As a result of these two negative interactions (2 of many) I deferred using my coverage benefits for a broken stove for several years believing that I’d be treated the same way. But to my surprise this didn’t happen this time and I received fair value to replace a unit that didn’t have parts available to fix it.

Now when I call I receive friendly service and when I ask for hard copies of my policies they ship them out immediately. And AFC has taken complete ownership of clerical errors I identified in my policies and corrected them promptly without the push back I used to experience. I’m glad I hung in there because I was shopping for a new provider. The only complaint I have now is that in my area this is a lack of available repair companies that will work with home warranty companies. I’m hoping AFC will work on cultivating relationships with these companies or work with the appliance manufacturers repair departments directly. Thanks for reading this long review.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Hello Kairee! We appreciate you as a longtime member of AFC and we will continue to be here when you need us! Thank you for the feedback

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

This company is fraudulent. I just reported them to the Department of Insurance out of the state that I live in. I have had many invoice sent to them and they cover very little. I was signed up for the platinum service which I think means they do nothing. Well if you have issues with AFC Home Club you should log a complaint with your state Department of Insurance. If you are thinking about doing business with this company. Just to let you know they do business through calls only for no communicating paper-trail.

They have hidden terms and conditions that are not found anywhere on their website and you do not get a copy of those hidden term. They are not found on your contract. They are quoted to you on a call and not in writing. I tried to cancel this service and get reimbursed after my first call. After my second and their was also not handled as outlined in my contract I decide to take this up with the state to see if they can help me. All this company need to do is honor their contract of just reimburse me what was paid for the service. My first call was in Feb and it still has not been resulted to my satisfaction.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I had another home warranty service but did not like their services. I went with AFC, and I've been with them ever since. Their contractors are very professional.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I like the flexibility of being able to choose my own contractor with AFC. This other company sends out who they want and a lot of times, those guys don't care. The benefit of being able to choose your own contractor makes a big difference. The times that I've called AFC, no one has ever been rude. Everything has been good.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I had a good experience with America's 1st Choice. I had a claim regarding the AC unit and I had a bit of trouble in the beginning because they said they didn't have any available technicians and my initial claim didn't go through. So I had to call back again. But that was the only issue that I had. After that, getting the claim paid out and resolved was fine. They said I could find a technician on my own and then I can work with them to get reimbursement. When the technician was here, I was asked to call them to relay the diagnosis. That went smoothly. America's 1st was easy to work with and they were responsive.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

I am so sorry that I entered into a three-year agreement. America's 1st Choice Home Club is horrible. They nickel-and-dime the customer. When I filed a claim for a repair, a man showed up to do the repair and told me I had to pay him. He was working on an HVAC. He had to call in and the home warranty gave him permission. He did the repairs and told them the unit needed refrigerant. He charged $100 per pound. He then had to call them back and ask if they would cover the refrigerant. They cover the refrigerant at $25. I had to pay an additional $75. They’ve already gotten $1,300 from me because I pay $100 a month for this alleged Platinum plan. That was my first experience contacting them.

The second experience was a plumbing issue. There was a leak. The guy came out and he repaired it. Then my dryer died. It was 15 years old. A technician came out and assessed the issue. He said the motherboard was totally inoperable. They told me they were only going to give me $400 on a new dryer. The dryer I had cost $1,200 and it lasted 15 years. I'm gonna at least get a $1,200 dryer that I know can last 15 years. When this is over, I will never use this company again. It's a rip-off. They won't replace anything.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information