2.92/5
Based on 148 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides cost-effective, extended home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect themselves against the unforeseen expenses of home upkeep and repair. With three plans to fit your budget and needs, and a 24/7 claims center, AFC Home Club has you covered.

BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 2, 2018

395 America's 1st Choice Home Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I used to have Old Republic and I missed their enrollment. I looked for another vendor and found America's First Choice Home Club. They have higher ratings than anybody else. Submitting a claim was decent. However, I still love Old Republic in that manner because if I have any work order, the technician is out within two hours even if it’s nighttime. After 8:00 p.m. with AFC, they don’t send anybody out. That’s one thing I feel Old Republic is better than AFC. Even so, the reps from AFC were good. They were able to assist me well. It was also easy to take the work order right then and there with AFC. The techs came on time, were able to solve my issue and were pretty good in giving me advice on how to make sure things keep going well. Their work was excellent. I would definitely recommend them to others.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I've been with AHS and one of the things I didn't like about them is that they put my call on hold for 45 minutes. There were times when I had to take the phone out, set it down and then I'd be doing something till I hear, “Hello?” I would run and by the time I got over there, they already hang up. They also said I could fax them information to a certain number they've given me. So I did and waited for a few days. Then I called to make sure they received it but then the lady asked to whom I faxed it to and said that I had to fax it again to a certain number. I've had such a bad experience with them that I didn't know if I wanted to have another home warranty. But with AFC, I liked that I didn't have to call around and worry if they were telling me the truth. So I got them because the rep that I talked to was very informative and made me believe that they were a good company as he talked about AFC's reputation.

After the 30-day waiting period which I was covered, I had an issue with my icemaker and I was told that they only cover so much on it which wasn't disclosed to me on the paperwork. I was upset about that. I have multiple homes and have been with a home warranty since 1992 but this was new to me. I told the rep that if I knew that, I might have just bought four new appliances for this package deal rather than put money into the icemaker. I called them to give me a little bit more time but they ended up processing me a hundred and some dollars.

Then, my heater wouldn't come on so I had to call them again. I got the "this is your second claim" vibe and again, it was a fluke since I've been covered up. I told the rep that I had proof and that I could send her copies. I was almost discouraged to file another claim. I told the rep that I've paid three years in advance and that if they wanted to cancel my warranty and send my money back, I would handle my problems. But I tried to be patient and eventually, they sent someone to fix the problem which was the thermostat.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

The tech who came out for our heater problem was great. He tried to fix it the first time and we paid and he went. A week later, it was broken again so he came out. He told us that America's First Choice shouldn’t have charged us a double fee for him to come out and that the part should have been covered. But we had to pay for those so I'm not really happy. I called AFC and told them that they overcharged me, but they didn’t care. They just told me they were sorry. AFC stinks and they ought to take it off the internet that they're the number one company because they aren't in my book. I'm looking to cancel and go with another company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I was looking for a home warranty online and AFC Home Club came up so I called and spoke with them. I got some details and continued researching but they came up with the best plan that was more affordable and had a lot more to offer so I went with them. When my disposer broke, I called them and their customer service reps were very pleasant. I told them what my needs were and they told me what they would or would not cover. They said that all they would pay for was the actual disposer itself if I would send them the receipt, then I would have to hire someone to put it in. So I sent them the receipt and they paid for it which was better than nothing.

However, I was a little irritated and disappointed that the $57 that I was paying each month did not cover having someone to come out, install and put in a new one. They also told me they would give me referrals for people that did it in my area, but the people that they referred me to were charging $85 an hour which I had to pay even if it took 20 minutes, so I looked for a handyman that can do it. Although they don't always cover everything on disposers, they're still okay.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

When we moved down here three years ago, the seller gave us a year of home warranty with Old Republic. It worked out well because the first year everything fell apart. But because of that, Old Republic dropped us after the year. I thought the home warranty is a good idea but I had to go and find a different warranty, which was the first time I ever really dealt with home warranties. I thought America's 1st Choice had a good rating from what I saw online but I have since changed my mind about that.

With Old Republic, I could call and a person would take the claim. They would tell me who they're going to assign and they get on it right away, so I get right into that department. With AmFam, I don't get the person directly. They take the information and then anywhere from 24 to 48 hours I might get somebody to call me back. So if the air conditioning's crapped out in the middle of the summer, you get pretty pissed off.

The contract, although I never got to see it beforehand, has a lot of exclusions that just don't make sense to me. One of the water heaters had water in the pan and was a little bit rusted. We called AmFam to have the heater checked and they said if there's water in the pan and any kind of rust, it's not covered. I was up to date with the check-ups. It also took me two days just to get somebody on the phone to tell me it's excluded.

I happened to get a girl on the phone two instances lately that I got a little bit faster turnaround. One was during a heater checkup for the fall. The tech spotted something that needed to be changed out and fixed so I called up the home warranty to see if it falls into the purview and I was told yes. AmFam sent somebody out who called and said it's not covered. So I called back the warranty and the rep said they'd send somebody else. I said I would like my guy to do it, which is a good heating/air conditioning company over here. He does my warranty and did the spring/fall checkup so I'd rather have him fix the part. The rep said they'd work with them, but the problem is that nobody reputable wants to work with the warranty companies because they say they don't get paid and have all kinds of trouble.

So what I ended up arranging was that I will pay for the air conditioning/heating company, and AmFam would pay me back what I'm due. We got to an agreement on that and got the heater fixed. However, in the calculation of what they were going to pay me back, other people got involved and said I was only going to get $60 back and have to delete things. I disagreed and said it's supposed to be $120, not $60. So it's just a fight all the way with them.

With the dishwasher, they were pretty reasonable. The dishwasher is 13 years old and the part that feeds the water into the machine needed to be replaced. AmFam gave me an option for a buyout money towards a new machine or they would fix the dishwasher but won't cover it anymore because it's too old. I went and looked at machines but I didn’t like what I saw so I just let them fix the machine and it turned out okay.

But always the turnaround time is 48 hours. A tech comes out to diagnose the appliance, takes his fee, orders the part, but then I can't get him back until the next week. It's always a delay. With Old Republic, they're very prompt. So I am looking for another company now and I'm not going to renew with AmFam. At the time when I was talking to the sales guy, he promised me the moon. But I'm a little more educated and I'm going to ask for the contract. I want to see the terms, and what's excluded and not..

America's 1st Choice Home Club response
All AFC Home Club's guidelines, terms and coverage are clearly posted on our website for review prior to purchase. We also give a full 30-day 100% money back review once the membership is purchased. With any company there are items which are included and excluded. Unfortunately, there is no company in existence that can cover 100% of everything in the home but our coverage is very comprehensive and inclusive in the industry.
In regard to the member stating that repair men do not want to work with home warranty companies because it is "hard to get paid" this is a blanket assumption and false in regard to AFC. We have overcome this by always paying at the time of service directly to the vendor if they accept credit card payment. No other company can do this which insures our vendors are paid in a timely and direct manner. If the vendor is chosen by the homeowner on their own the reimbursement process would be different as we do not have them on file and those vendors most likely want to be paid by the person who hired them.
This member filed a request on the Water Heater and stated it was leaking from the top, this is not a mechanical failure and can be assessed by an agent during the call. This way it saves the member time and a service fee. Mechanical failures are covered by the plan, a water heater leaking is a long-term failure, it takes years for it to begin to wear to the point of a hole being in the tank and the unit leaking with rust. Home Club’s do not take away the full responsibility of being a homeowner, but they do aid and assist in unexpected failures, as she saw with her two other covered requests.
We do have a turnaround time of 24-48 hours, this is to ensure they techs have availability, if we can schedule sooner we will. Also when it comes to HVAC repairs these are always expedited above a dishwasher or dryer type request. After a technician comes to the home if there is a delay this means parts must be ordered this would happen with any homeowner or company if the parts are not readily on hand, but we always stay in touch with the member, we are sorry to hear that it took some time for her dishwasher to be repaired and we will ensure that does not happen again in the future, we are no longer using that specific technician due to the delay she experienced.

Nevertheless, we are very sorry to hear that she was not pleased with her services and full coverage and payment on her included items. We would love to maintain her business in the future. Once she receives quotes and reviews the actual coverages of other companies, not just sample plans, I think this member will be more aware of what she is purchasing, and that AFC is one of the most inclusive coverages available in the market along with the best reviews. We will be happy to waive a service fee on her renewed coverage if she chooses to move forward in March 2018, thank you for your time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I've been told by my co-workers that it was good to have a coverage on everything. AFC Home Club had good ratings. However, I was disappointed when I submitted a claim. I had air conditioning service a year ago because I called in and have spoken to a couple of different people to make sure that I was following all the regulations. They told me they have no record of it so I have to go through my paperwork and find it but I couldn't even begin to do it tomorrow because of my work schedule.

The gal who I dealt with the most was very professional and very nice. But when they transferred me over to another lady who was supposed to handle finishing touches and have someone come out because my air conditioner wasn’t working correctly, she was very abrupt and very rude and told me that I'd have to wait a month for my reimbursement and that I wasn’t following the regulations right. She also wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise. They let me use my own air conditioning serviceman and he called them on behalf and explained to them that he didn’t feel it fair that I had to wait a month. So, his company took the payments from them and then I only had to pay the extra $65 which was very nice. But if he hadn’t done that, I would have been still waiting for the reimbursement.

I was trying to be very polite about the whole thing and she wouldn't even take it that I had the receipt from the year before. She just told me that I had never done it and it wasn't fully serviced. Also, she said I could use my serviceman again and to just to let them know. So I plan on doing that but I paid for the contract and I feel that the service needs to be taken care of. I've had two air conditioning men tell me that the air conditioner should be replaced. I hope we can get this resolved and I'll be happy.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I did not have a good experience with America's First Choice Home Club. I just signed up with them and they told me that everything is covered. But the first time I called for service on a toilet that broke down, they said they could only cover $150 and there was not a whole lot they could do. They also said they go by what the contract says. It was in the contract. It's written but you have to get magnifying glasses so that you can zoom in and find it. They sent a technician once and I paid the $150 and called it a day. But AFC's service was not good at all, and I'm not happy with them. They just make promises but they don't deliver. And hopefully, they can improve their services.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I got a new house and went with AFC Home Club as the portion of the warranty for the outdoor pool was a little less expensive than some of the other competitors. It was $10 cheaper for someone to come out for a home visit. When our dishwasher broke, I filed a claim over the phone and they gave us $100. I thought it should have been more because most dishwashers are priced around $500. But they said ours was older and that was all they would give us. I wanted them to give me more but they didn't. But it was fine. Their reps were cordial and I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

AFC is not a very good warranty; they depreciate your appliance based on age of appliance and then assign a cash value to the appliance therefore denying the claim! You are on your own with AFC! Another instance I had a double oven which was just over one year old and heating elements malfunctioned! My tenants had just used the self cleaning function and AFC nullified the warranty! I contacted the manufacturer, which was Sears Pro and they had never heard of such an experience. We have used the self cleaning cycle on several ovens and never had any problems! AFC should be added to the list of crooked companies due to their business practices! I would have been better off without a warranty with AFC!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Worst service ever, they claim it is 24/7 but in reality they only process claims Monday to Friday. Of course they never mention it. My furnace broke and when I called to submit a claim they responded they wanted to see preventative maintenance, finally I fixed the issue myself by replacing the flame sensor. Last year I had American Home Shield and the same issue happened and when I called them they send someone the next day. No question asked. Horrible, horrible, horrible service from America's 1st Choice Home Club and seems like they will never honor the agreement of replacing a broke down unit by trying to blame it on the owner.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I've had a warranty with this company for about 4 years. I will say for the first 2 years, everything went pretty well... Reasonable response times and reasonable coverage. That's the only reason I didn't give 1 star. However, the last 2 years have been that of subpar customer service and unfounded refusal of coverage. I've even had times where they refused to send a technician out to even diagnose a problem because they swore it wasn't going to be covered. If I'm only explaining symptoms of a problem, how do you know it's not a covered part that's causing the problem if someone hasn't looked at it first?

Another incident I experienced was my HVAC malfunctioning in the dead of winter and we were without heat. They claimed HVAC claims were priority but we went 5 days without a technician being assigned and sent out to our house. Poor customer service. I finally did not renew my with them as that was the last straw. Avoid as this company has gotten progressively worse.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My home warranty for the first year ended I was exploring on the internet for a good choice of warranty and AFC Home Club had a lower rate of service fee. It was $10 cheaper so I went with them. Submitting a claim to them was really great. The agent was always very helpful and very responsive, even though with my last experience with the heater it took them almost a month to have a real appointment and have them come to my place and check it out. I understood that it was during the holiday season. The agent always kept me well-informed and kept calling to see if I got any appointments directly from the service vendor. Also the technician who came was good.

But in terms of their whole procedure the agent should explain more clear with what am I supposed to do or who's going to be in the control. Because for the heater and the washer dryer last time they called me to do the follow-up but I wasn’t aware who should do the next step. On the first call they can clearly indicate what exactly is to be expected then that will be great. But I was okay with sitting and waiting. They contacted me so I was not too worried. I would recommend AFC Home Club. They have great service and low cost. It was worth spending money on their warranty.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I wanted to be able to make sure if I have another 3,000 square feet home that the fees are covered and the cost and responsibility would be reduced as much as I can. AFC has a variety of people and networks they can use. Some warranties are very limited so AFC seemed to have more and they are open to working with more. I called them recently and submitted a claim on my oven stove and the contractor was able to repair it. The rep also asked if I wanted another one since it's past its shelf life. However, I didn’t give it up but I know she was just trying to encourage me. But financially, it wouldn't have made sense for me. It would run from $700 to $800, and I would bear the cost. Overall, my experience with AFC Home Club has been okay.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have called in twice & I have the Gold Plan which was the best plan & signed up 3/27/2017. Tried to get service for leak in Air Conditioner and was denied. Second, tried to get service for Ice Maker and was denied. Told not covered because of new Platinum service instituted in the summer & was not notified. I will not renew this plan again. Too many hoops to jump through to get service.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I'm pretty new to the country and I thought a home warranty would be interesting and could help. America's First Home Club seemed like a good deal and submitting a claim to them was pretty easy. Just call them and that’ll work out. But when I asked someone to come out, it took too long for that one. I probably wouldn't go for a warranty like that again at all. Everything else went well but I just understood the home warranty itself differently.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I always had a home warranty and I switched from American Home Shield because I wasn't so happy with it. I tried to choose someone who had the best ratings out there and not so many complaints, so I went with America's First Choice Home Club. It wasn’t the most positive experience though and if I hadn't just signed up with them, I probably would have dropped them and found somebody else. When I put the claim in for my washer, there was something in the house that they said they weren't going to cover and no one ever got back to me. That's not acceptable. We live in a customer service world and the responsiveness was slow. On another instance, they had assigned me someone to come fix my washer and when I called those people, they said that they don't work through warranty companies. When I called AFC, they said that they just got that information.

They’re quick to take my money every month but they’re not so quick to solve problems and I didn’t like that. Also, I always get a different rep every time I call. But the rep that I got for the last situation was very apologetic. And the company they sent out to fix the washer/dryer was stellar. They didn’t have the part but they did something to fix it until the part would come in because the washing machine was leaking water. They were fabulous people and they said that if there's anything ever wrong again from that trip, I should call them back and not the warranty company. They will come back and fix it at no charge. That's the way it should be.

America's First Choice Home Club is just mediocre. Find somebody bigger and more well-established because they haven't been around that long. If AFC continues to operate the way they have, they won't be around that long because they'll end up with bad ratings like some of the other warranty companies. They have what it takes though. On the onset when I call them, they say all the right things. The proof is in the pudding and your first line of defense if you get on the phone with someone who is not necessarily knowledgeable about their own products and services is that at least you are talking to someone with a level of intelligence and someone who is compassionate about customer service.

I did a lot of research on the internet to move away from American Home Shield and now I'm sitting around and thinking that AFC Home Club is really no better. I’m a professional businesswoman so I don’t have time to keep calling someone to follow-up on what they should be doing for me. That's the service I pay for and that's seriously where they lack.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I purchased the systems plan from AFC for $400 which allegedly covered the water heater in addition to the HVAC unit. The salesperson was so nice and told me how awesome their coverage was: "Absolutely sir, this plan will replace your HVAC unit, appliances, and everything!" When my water heater began leaking, I called AFC and received no response. I called again 2 days later and a technician was dispatched. He said the water heater had failed and needed to be replaced. After paying a $70 service fee AFC told me that the plan did not cover the water heater "tank". When my HVAC failed they said that my unit was too old and did not have any "cash value" so they could not cover the cost. AFC sells junk. Pay $400 and they send you a contract filled with ambiguities and loopholes so they don't have to pay. It's a scam to charge fees to homeowners so they can deny any claim - a total rip off!

No response received
Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I believe this company is a scam. I put in a request for service nearly a week ago 12/31/17. I had to call back a couple days later and they gave me a repair company that they had contacted to do the work. I called the repair company and they said they did not work for home warranty companies. I called AFC Home Club back and they said they would assign another repair company. I called back the next day and they gave me another repair company they said they had contacted. I called the repair company and they said they did not work for home warranty companies. I called AFC Home Club back and they put me on hold and never came back. As of 1/4 2018 no resolution to my problem.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Still waiting for the $25.00 referral fee. I paid for both my policy and my daughter’s policy (Alison **. Irvine, Ca.) and was told I would get a referral fee. A plumbing repair request was submitted for a leak in the piping of a garbage disposal at my daughter’s condo. A new garbage disposal was received but not needed. A plumber came out and did nothing to repair the leak. He told us to get some object and wedge it under the leaking pipe to hold the joint together. A call was placed to AFC but nothing was done. A service call was placed today for a toilet that was not flushing. For such a simple job to repair I was told my Gold plan would not cover it. I’m presently considering canceling both policies.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

AFC would not cover the issue with my AC unit which was diagnosed to have a leak in the evaporator coil. There is a repair service record from within a year on the unit in question that says that the unit was inspected and there were no leaks to be found. AFC claims that this request is not a preventative maintenance and therefore per their policy I did not have a preventative maintenance done on the unit and therefore denying coverage. There is no damage or dust on the coil that points to the coil being maintained poorly. Rusting of the evaporator coils is a common issue and happens over a period of time. There is no preventative maintenance that would prevent rusting as any AC tech would tell you.

This is just a shady company which looks for loopholes to get out of providing coverage as much as possible. When asked how a warranty provider can choose not to cover something, their response is that they are a "home club" not a warranty provider. Which is basically another legal loophole that they are using to swindle their way out of providing the service they are supposed to provide. They also have a 30 day blackout period when the policy is initiated where they take your money and clock starts as far as membership goes, but they do not cover anything at the time. I have requested them to cancel my policy but they make this very difficult as well by making you send a letter by mail, and they will start the cancellation only on the date they receive this letter. Shady company with shady practice to get out of paying for coverage. Really bad experience and I will never go back to them.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Worst rip off. Don't be fooled by BBB ratings. I have had nothing but issues with this company. Read all the majority of reviews about how bad the customer service is! They always find a reason not to pay for issues that arise and they make you wait more than 48 hours to return your call. Oh, and best yet, twice I was apologized to for their own people forgetting to put in my info for original claims. And they won’t refund your money for service period if you’re not happy.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Called to have heater diagnosed. Was not able to get a technician out to my house. Told me to find a tech myself and call ACC with diagnosis. Not happy with this company. Would NEVER use them or recommend them to anybody!!

Resolution response: Dec. 11, 2017

after long back and forth on whether the touch pad is covered by the insurance or not, the AFC has agreed to repair the microwave.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Worst representation you could get, I was in gold service and microwave broke, AFC send out the technician to check the microwave, the guy reported what was wrong with the microwave and then AFC gave me option to get the platinum that would cover the microwave, so I got that. AFC then send the technician again knowing what the technician has already reported them and then came out that AFC does not cover keypad on the appliques. I have no idea which appliance in this age comes without keypad or even how to use a microwave without it. They charged extra $50 to bump the service and now I am told that if I cancel with them I would be charged $75 for cancellation and would only get the prorated rate back. SO they get your money and give you no service whatsoever.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

America's First Choice Home Club has good ratings and they allow us to potentially choose our own vendors. I submitted a claim and it was relatively easy. That was after the one-month probation period but I was told I would qualify for $100 to $150 because it was within the second month. I first called and they told me what documentation I needed. I submitted whatever they asked for then, after I got the new one replaced, I submitted the bill for it. But I had to pay and enjoy all of it out-of-pocket. They showed me that in the contract, there was a ramped-up period before you are able to get the full reimbursement.

Their reps were courteous but they should have looked at the fact that I was only there for two months and I would only qualify for a very small amount. I would have appreciated them for that. Also, there was no action from America's First Choice to pay. From an experience perspective, they did sour it a bit, but I'll ask for the payment again. Other than that, the technician was someone that I'd asked for and my interaction with him was easy.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I always get a home warranty and I normally work with American Home Shield or America's Home Warranty but I've had bad experiences in the past, so I'm always looking for someone fresh and new. I tried America's First Choice and when I placed my service call, I found it a little odd that it took a while to get a fast response from them. It was not like with the other companies who were pretty quick and where I could even place a service call online. I called America's First Choice on a Thursday and they took the information, then I had to call back either Sunday to follow up because I never heard or got an email from anybody. After that, the local company got a hold of me. I got the service on the afternoon of Sunday and the service that was performed by the technician was great.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I have two rental homes and our own home so I have always had some home warranty. But I wanted to do some more shopping around and I found America's First Choice Home Club when I was doing a search. When signing up for their insurance, they're very nice. But later when I had claims, the response wasn't so good initially. They didn't cover some of the first couple of claims I submitted and they had their reasons, but I was a little disappointed and I was doubting why I chose them. Then more recently, I got a more positive experience. There was a lady who said said that they would not cover a particular type of refrigerator but they really tried to help. The technician who was sent out was really nice, too. He saw he had to come back one time to clean the coils and he was good.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We had an issue with our ductwork. Submitting a claim was easy but AFC took a long time to get back to me. Then, I found out the reason they had was that they weren't going to cover anything. Even the AC guy who came in to do the assessment said that he thought that it was way wrong that they didn’t do it. There was no reason they shouldn't.

At first, AFC said that if something caused it, they wouldn’t help. And the tech said, "Well, nothing caused it. It just deteriorated because it's been there for a while." And they said they don't cover it because it was deteriorated. I was like, "Well, what do you cover?" And they could not answer that question. The claims reps were reading off of a script and they'd go back and forth. They couldn't do anything. Then, they told me, "Well, we only cover $250 of it, if we did cover it." I said, "Well then, you should cover it." And they said they don't. But on another claim, we had our washing machine looked at and they were able to resolve it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I looked into getting a warranty for the appliances I was afraid would break. AFC Home Club clearly covered the most so I went with them. In the year I've had the warranty, I've called a claim in and the technicians who came out were excellent. They were on time and they stuck to the plans. The work they had done was of very good quality as well.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I'm a custom home builder and I have a large home. I've used other services like American Home Shield in the past. I decided to switch because when I looked at sites, America's First Choice Home Club got some very high reviews from Forbes and others. I presumed that the benefits were very similar. I've had three claims with them, and I've had to fight with everyone. I was very frustrated.

When I filed the claim for the air conditioner, they sent out a subcontractor who said two of my thermostats were not good. When it came time to replace them, because my home is very high-tech, I wanted Bard thermostats. Their contractor gave me a price for $850. AFC would only pay $250 of that, which was very basic. I paid extra for my house because it's above 5,000 feet, but when it came time for replacement of a covered item, they only covered very low. So, I called up my heating and air conditioning guy. I got him to do the replacement for $600. Fortunately, AFC gave me the $250 and I used my guy, so I saved $250. Their sub would not come down. A positive thing was that they came back later. I had a continuing problem with my air conditioning and they sent a fairly good guy. The last guy they sent was good and he fixed things.

Then when my pool heater went out, I talked to the guy at sales and he told me that the pool’s covered because I had to pay extra for it. It turned out that they just took out the pool heater. It's covered but the pool heater is not. I had to fight, and we finally compromised and I got a few $100 from AFC on that. Again, they sent out a first sub that was no good, but the second guy was good and he fixed it.

I had to fight very hard for my repairs, so I'm concerned about how they cover some of the stuff they sent. They compromised but I feel that their policy is not as good as American Home Shield. They need to be more competitive with the big player in the business. Their pricing is less but their coverage is not as good. But I am happy with the big boss who compromised on what I actually signed up. I have them for a few months now and I'm not going to cancel. I'm going to continue, but once it's time to renew, I'm going to study what they're actually offering versus other companies.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My warranty kept going up and it almost doubled in price, and I was tired of it increasing. I Googled to find out who had the best prices in the United States, and I went with AFC Home Club. Submitting a claim was extremely easy. If had some questions about it, I called AFC and they answered my questions thoroughly and completely right from the beginning. I was a brand-new customer and unfortunately my air conditioner went out on the roof. I live in California and the temperature at that time was about 110 degrees. I was calling on a Friday, and they said they wouldn't be able to send anybody out until Monday or Tuesday. But it was over 100 degrees so they considered that an emergency and they told me to call my own heating guy and they'll take care of it.

The air conditioner guy came on a Saturday and an AFC rep was there in the office that day. The rep was able to call and make contact and the air conditioner guy got paid right over the phone before he completed the work. I was glad the problem was with a capacitor and not a whole unit. However, it wasn’t covered 100%. I had to pay the guy his service fee which was on the contract but I got a charge for something else that was not covered by AFC, and it was not explained on my bill. I was so happy just to get the air conditioner around that I let it go and I never said anything. I had a great experience with AFC overall but I would've liked to know what wasn't covered.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information

afchomeclub.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use