America's 1st Choice Home Club

America's 1st Choice Home Club

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I bought a home, moved into it and wanted something better than the home warranty company I had. I did a Google search and AFC had the best reviews. When I submitted a claim with them, it went smooth and the rep had it pushed through pretty quickly. The tech who came was a local company that I used a few times directly on my other needs. He was excellent.

I've always had a home warranty, but I never liked American Home Shield. I fired them and terminated their service years ago. AFC is certified and approved, and they're endorsed by the Better Business Bureau. They've been very professional, courteous and fast each time I submit a claim. They explain everything very well. A technician comes in within a couple of days and depending on my schedule, but they’re normally readily available within 24 to 48 hours. They’re very patient.

Overall AFC has been excellent because I bought this house April 1st, 2013, built from the ground up and they built the house so fast that I didn’t think I could’ve sued them for negligence. I made up my mind that whatever I replace, it would be top quality and it’d be a top-quality company that would install it. I've replaced four things so far, including the sump pump, but it wasn’t under the warranty so I had to pay by my own pocket. When January comes, I can renew my contract and I’m gonna add some more things on it. I've told my church about AFC, so I’ve been advertising for their company because I had good experiences.

I am not one to normally write reviews. I am a simple person who just wants to get what they pay for and I believe in Karma. I needed to tell other about this company so they too can experience what it is like to have someone stand up to their word, which is not normal these days. I called AFC about 2pm when it got real hot here about a week ago. My house was 79 degrees and my pregnant wife was about to have a fit. They had the tech at my door within 3 hours, be it this was a heat wave and he was still there that day! He was working on the unit for about 2 hours and it ended up needed quite the repair, when all was said and done what was asked of me? NOTHING ALL I PAID WAS $60.00 deductible and he was on his way. I couldn't believe how simple it really was. (Guess I am a skeptic.) I would highly recommend them to anyone I know, my house has been cool since.

This is my initial contact and inquiry with AFC, and I was greatly impressed with the knowledge and honesty and advice given by your representative. I felt he was totally truthful and made me very comfortable in the way he handled my questions. Thus I have signed to a gold level agreement (covering all in home appliances, heat, electric, etc) along with some additional protection after being with AHS for twenty years. I have found a comfort zone and protection with AFC and sincerely hope I will be fully satisfied. Thank you.

Factual basis uncertain

I have Old Republic Home before but I am still looking for a better service then I found AFC Home Warranty and I thought they are better but I was wrong. They did not covered the water leaking from a water line under my kitchen faucet and I still have to pay $60 for nothing. My previous home warranty covered almost everything but this AFC is a cheap, greedy company. On top of that, their customer representatives loves to argue when it comes to requesting a service. Their representatives over the phone are very rude and doesn't listen to their customers. They are assertive and very unfriendly employees who loves to quarrel over the phone. This AFC is a big no no for homeowners like me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Factual basis uncertain

I have a home warranty to: Protect myself from unexpected breakages of appliances, plumbing and electrical issues. To have a "SKILLED" technician or repairman provide QUALITY service for the warranty I am paying for. To find out I have to install the garbage disposal myself (because AFC thinks it's "so easy anyone can do it,") is a slap in my face for being foolish enough to switch to this company from my previous one. What a idiot I am.

I am definitely going to publicize this on every social media I can to prevent anyone else from wasting their money on this horrible company. Fortunately, as a writer I have the window of opportunity to expose this fraudulent company to a huge audience, and I intend to do so as greatly as possible. Now, I have to wait for the new disposal to arrive, and, in the meantime, cannot use the kitchen sink or dishwasher. Everyone and anyone out there, do not fall victim to their lies. This is the second time they have screwed me. The first time they claimed they don't cover faucets.

AFC gave me the same price for three years whereas everybody else does it for a year and then raise your rates. I filed a claim online a couple of weeks ago and a rep called to let me know they got it out to the provider and she said they have 24 hours to call me. Within five minutes, someone called me and set an appointment up. It was really fast. The technician was good and got the work done fast. Usually, you have to wait two weeks for them to order a part but he got the part right then. AFC is a good, professional, efficient, and fast-working company.

I had a bad experience with the other company that I had so when my year ran out, I got online and asked for the best home warranties. AFC was either second or third on the list and I did a small research on the top two or three. I liked what I saw in AFC and when I talked to the first rep, I liked the whole three-year program and paying for it in eleven or however many months I signed up for.

The claims process was more on the easy side and was pretty straightforward. I ended up calling late on a Friday night and the rep said that it was going to go into the messages for Monday. Then I called back pretty early on Monday because the issue was becoming more urgent the longer it went on. I was told by the rep that the first contractor didn't want to do it. I was able to find a repairman locally and he and AFC's rep were able to work it out where they all went down as planned. Once that was settled, then everything went well. The repairman told me he wasn't crazy about working with home warranty companies, but he found his experience with AFC to be a good one.

I was very satisfied with the experience, but AFC should have longer hours on Friday nights in order to get the process going sooner because it had only dawned on me about 30 minutes after they closed that I needed to call them. I've mentioned to several other people that if anybody wants to look into AFC, I'd be more than happy to put them on.

We were with American Home Shield before, but when we bought our home here, we were given different warranty choices. We had heard a lot of bad things about American Home Shield, so we thought we'd try AFC Home Club. When we first started with them, I didn't think I was going to like them at all. My experience with them was very bad and I was ready to cancel with them. When we filed a claim for our water heater, the rep that I talked to was very rude. And because AFC has a 30-day waiting period, and we haven't had the heater for 30 days yet, they didn’t cover it. So we ended up replacing our water heater anyway and we paid for it.

When we had a small leak in one of our pipes in the wall, I decided to take the chance to file another claim and see how it would go. When I called AFC, their rep asked to send them the paperwork, which I did because we had to get somebody out immediately since the leak was doing damage to our floors. The transition went pretty smooth that time. The rep also said we will be getting a check for the labor only minus the $60, which I understood since they don't cover any damage that's done. I called back to follow up with them and asked when we were getting a check, and she said we should get it in six weeks, which I guess is normal. That's the first claim we've really ever had and though they're not the best, everything went okay.

I'm hoping that we made the right choice going with AFC because I'm sure this won't be the last time we will be using them for problems with our 25-year-old home. It's bad enough having the issue so we hope we don't have to deal with somebody on the phone who can't give the proper information and doesn't seem like they’re happy doing their job.

My dishwasher broke over the weekend and I called in for service. Someone took my information and I received a call back on Tuesday with the contact information of the company who would be coming out for service. They came out on Thursday and informed me what would be needed to repair the dishwasher. I didn't like the dishwasher I had because I have a large family and it was a cheap one. It was only 3 years old when it broke. AFC gave me the option of either repairing it or buying one of my choice and they would apply the cost of repairs to the new one and I would pay the difference. This is exactly what I was hoping for and I'm glad that it worked out that way. I now have a new dishwasher that works better and some of the cost was offset. I gave 4 instead of 5 stars because I wish that things had moved a little faster.

AFC Home Club had the best rates and the same coverage as everybody else, so I picked them. Claim submission wasn't difficult and the reps were polite. They gave me a contact and then they dealt with them directly. Then if they say they'll cover something, then they will reimburse me. It takes several weeks for the check to come, but it comes.

However, when we signed up, they refused to cover a lot of stuff that they technically should be covering, so I'm not too thrilled with them. They knew my house was around eight years old, but they had a problem covering everything because the appliances are so many years old. We just moved in four years ago, so it's not like we've been using them that long, and they already knew that when I took the coverage. They cannot deny me coverage as the whole point of me having an insurance is so that I get the coverage when I need it. I've already had issues because I bought the house with all the GE appliances and it kind of defeats the purpose if they're going to say no to a lot of things. I probably won't sign up with them again.

Factual basis uncertain

We have unfortunately used several companies for home warranties and America's First Choice was even worse than our last contract with another company. Poor quality contractors but even worse, America's First Choice does NOT provide adequate coverage as advertised! We had SEVERAL mechanical problems that we had to pay out of our own pocket, on top of paying the fee for a contractor to come out and tell us what we already know! I will never return as a customer.

The first claim we had with AFC went all right. We had two things go bad at about the same time. The first one was the furnace and the guy who came out said that all it was was the thermostat. So we live with what we got at the moment and see if it keeps going but we seem to have problems off and on. We had this house checked out and when I called the people who put the furnace in, they noticed something fishy going on. They said the furnace was put in 2012 and this furnace is a 2009 and that they put in this other type of brand. Things weren't matching up with the seller. I got a feeling he changed out the furnace and put something that was used and that's why we're having all these issues. But that's not on AFC.

And then the second one was a disaster. The electrician AFC picked out took advantage of the whole thing and I got screwed on that. My friend said he would come and try to fix it for me. But I felt that if I don't go through that electrician to get it done, and if something else goes wrong, then I'm going to be in trouble with AFC or they won't do it. The electrician fixed it and when I got the bill, it cost me $1,000. AFC didn't pay anything more than $11 against it.

I'm not happy with the electrician. He kept complaining and suggested a remote control light switch. But when I asked him how it works, he said he didn't know. Then, there's a light that sat on a pole in the backyard and I asked how much it will cost to have it wired up. He said he'll make a good deal on it but never said anything more about it.

Also, dealing with the home warranty program has been hard for me. But it's my fault because I didn't read everything as well. It wasn't explained to me properly and I felt it was glossed over me in some ways. It still would have cost me the money but at least it wouldn't be a shocker. My situation might not have been the best because I've got so many other things going wrong but hopefully nothing more horrible will be happening.

I recently had my dryer fixed. The guy who came found the problem, but he had to get the belt, then come back to put it in. The service for the dryer went great, but we were surprised to find that AFC didn't cover the heater. They said we had to get it inspected each year. So we've arranged the inspection and the guy who ended up preparing that said he can come back in the spring. So, hopefully in the future we won't have that problem. It was a little bit disappointing at that point, but then we'll just get the periodic inspections for the heater.

Insufficient response received

I got a very bad experience with AFC Home Club. The associates need to understand better what is included in the warranty and what is not and they should be polite enough. They should speak with their manager and get back to the customer. Most of the time, we try to involve the technician and let him explain what exactly is happening. They work for the home warranty so they have more knowledge than anyone else. This is the second time and the associate keeps on blindly arguing even though the technician tells that it is included in the warranty.

There was a misunderstanding at first. There are parts that AFC covers, but sometimes those that seem cosmetic, which they do not cover, are essential. It's okay that I cover the on/off switch for the water because that's only cosmetic, but when you get inside the gut of where the pipes are coming into with the sink hose into the bathtub, those are supposed to be covered because you don't change them out every ten years, only when they break. A claims rep told me something isn't covered. I told her I really feel it is covered and maybe we can go back and talk to somebody. We got on the same page and figured out it was covered. They replaced the part that's why I'd say they were excellent. The repair guy was good, knew his job and did everything he was supposed to do. He just had to make sure that what he was doing was covered. I appreciate AFC and I look forward to keeping them in our business together. I'd recommend them.

One of my heater's furnaces went out on Christmas Eve and I wasn't aware that AFC Home Club doesn't work on weekends. I had no heat for two days until they sent someone out. I got by fine, but my concern was what about someone who had a small child or a sick person in the house to take two days with no heat? I understand it was Christmas, but still, I thought it was a 365-day-a-year program. So I was a little disappointed in that. But that was the first time I used them and fortunately, they had the heating and air conditioning company that I deal with come out, so I knew the people.

I found AFC Home Club through google and they had good reviews. I've filed a claim via phone and it was good.

I tried a different company and it was the worst experience of my life, so I wanted something different. AFC was the lowest out of all the companies price-wise. I called them and the salesman sold me on it. He was very committed. Everything is going good I don't have any complaints or back-and-forth headaches, so I'm happy and that's all I need.

Our realtor told us about AFC Home Club. We had good interactions with the claim reps and whoever was the company they contacted did an awesome job and fixed the problem. There was one minor thing but then we called them directly and then they came out fix what were not fixed. So, they were really a help. I'm satisfied!

I was trying to change the home warranty that I had and needed something in Louisiana. There weren't a lot of companies that would take Louisiana, but AFC Home Club did. My claim submission experience wasn't too good. Last time, I had to call them about my garbage disposal and a leak in the bathroom in my rental property, and they told me they don't repair garbage disposal. What they did was send me one and I wasn't used to that. I had to get a plumber to put it in, out of my pocket. I'm looking at the idea that I pay $60 every time they come and the laborer that comes out says they don't cover the service, and to me, that would have been double-money. I couldn't figure out the steps in there, so I ended up not using them. For the leak, they told me they were going to send a plumber out, which they scheduled, but it wasn't much they took care of, so my tenant ended up getting someone to fix it because they only needed a washer.

Factual basis uncertain

Lousy coverage-- virtually every time I've called them, whatever my problem is has been "not covered"-- nowhere in the description of coverage does it say that only electrical issues INSIDE the house are covered (my porch socket stopped working), and now the switch to turn off the light on my oven won't go out-- they told me that as long as the oven still worked, there was nothing wrong with it. And when the computer in my dishwasher went out shortly after I bought the house, I inadvertently said it went out a week ago instead of 5 days ago, so they disallowed it because of the waiting period. I have been planning for a couple of months now that I will switch to another company when my term is up, but now I am so frustrated that I'm looking into whether I can get a partial refund if I switch companies before then.

When I first bought my home, the home warranty was in the contract. I liked having it and wanted to keep it going, but the company I was with then was getting too expensive. I searched around on the internet for another home warranty company, and that's how I found AFC Home Club. So far, we've only had to submit a claim to them once or twice and it was pretty easy. The technician was fine. He talked to me and gave me all the information that I needed. After he looked at my dryer, he recommended that I needed a new one.

I went with AFC Home Club for the price and the reviews for some of the bigger carriers didn't sound as good. The claim submission was pretty easy. The only challenge I had initially was there's no 24-hour service. I dealt with an answering service one time and didn't realize that. I thought I had submitted a claim, but I hadn't. But other than that, it's really easy. I call the 800 number and that's all there is to it. Their reps are always very courteous. If they didn't know an answer, they actually researched it and got back to me. There's one individual that I've worked with on two different occasions and she's wonderful because she's very knowledgeable. I've had some questions about coverage, and the people have always been very helpful in making me understand what's covered and what's not.

I've had techs from both ends of the spectrum. I've had one that was very good and it was when I had my dryer repaired. He told me everything that he was doing as well as what's probably going to go wrong next with my washing machine. He basically said there's nothing to do until it breaks, but it was good for him to inform me of that. On the other hand, I had a claim once with the garage door opener and the guy that they dispatched, first, asked to borrow my tools when he got there. And then second, from some of the conversation he was having with me, I could tell he was very new at the job and it was like he was trying to pick up some extra cash. I ended up having a different company do the work on the garage door and recommended that they don't use this guy anymore because he didn't seem to know what he was doing at all.

What I learned from that process was that as long as I submitted the claim, I could use whomever I wanted and then submit the receipts afterwards. I didn't know that. I thought I always had to use one of AFC's providers. But as long as I submit a claim first, I can call up and say, "Hey, I have a garage door opener that needs to be replaced. I'm going to use my guy because he lives next door to me," which was exactly what I did. There was a certain amount that they covered and I had to pay some of it on my own, but that was more in nature of how old the garage door opener was, not who's fixing it.

I went online to look for a home warranty company when I was buying this house and AFC Home Club was either number two or number one. There was also a good recommendation for them. When I submitted a claim for my garbage disposal, they were easy to work with. The rep asked me for the garbage disposal's certification and I gave it to her. She said they were going to send the replacement and it came within a week or so. Though I had to get somebody to install it because they said they don't install, it was a very good experience with AFC Home Club. I have a working garbage disposal now.

When submitting a claim to AFC, I call their toll-free number and speak to a rep who takes the information, sets up the service call and gives me the results. I had my dishwasher fixed and the technicians were great. I submitted another claim for our HVAC based on the findings from a company that I had hired myself to come out and do the cleaning and evaluation. The warranty company paid part of the claim based on the results from that seasonal check-up, which is nice that we didn't have to pay somebody to come out again.

However, I was disappointed with the way AFC handled my HVAC repair. I got stuck in the fine print of what they do and don't cover. I would have liked to have more work done on my unit than what was actually done. I found out after I submitted this recent claim that they would no longer cover my HVAC system because it's 12 years old, which I would have liked to have figured out before I renewed because that's the whole reason why I got the warranty in the first place. It's nice to be covered in other areas too, but I really wanted it for the HVAC and they're not going to cover it anymore. Also, since I'm a real estate agent, I tried to get some information so that I could refer a client to AFC, and I was a little disappointed with my account manager's lack of response and I could never get him to follow through or follow up.

The first time I put in my request, the company assigned said I canceled the work order & never got in touch with me. I called AFC & said I never canceled. AFC called the technician & told me they would call me. They never did. I called AFC again & told them I still needed the work done but I wanted a different company. They assigned a different company to my work order. The second company called & we set up a date & time for the work to be performed. They came on time & completed the job to my satisfaction. I want to thank Amanda ** for her follow-up & dedication for getting the job done. She is wonderful & has boosted my trust & confidence in AFC. Thank you Amanda **.

Factual basis uncertain

We thought AFC Home Club was going to cover us for a number of things, but we found out that that's really not the case. We called about a compressor on an air conditioner, a garbage disposal, a leak in the wall, and they went, "Let's go to the fine print", and we found out all those weren't covered. We assumed it was a typical home warranty, but it turned out to be a typical home warranty that tries very hard not to cover anything.

Called AFC to get a quote, since my former warranty company, First American raised their rate a couple hundred dollars and their visit is higher now, too. Received excellent service from Adrian and based on the rates and coverage I signed up with AFC.

Although it was holiday weekend (New Year's), AFC contacted the service company and the company Air 3000 got a technician out the same day. It was important as we head guests staying in the area serviced by that a/c unit. Thank you for the quick response.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Profile