3.24/5
Based on 115 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides cost-effective, extended home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect themselves against the unforeseen expenses of home upkeep and repair. With three plans to fit your budget and needs, and a 24/7 claims center, AFC Home Club has you covered.

BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 23, 2018

442 America's 1st Choice Home Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

I searched on the internet and I found America's 1st Choice Home Club through the ratings. To file the claim for my stove, I called them by phone and they called me back with the company that they were going to send to my house for repairs. The people they sent were fine. My oven is a unit that functions properly when everything is closed and shut. The technician came and stated that the hinges of the doors are not functioning and it needs to be replaced. On most ovens, the hinges are just mechanical and keep the door open or closed, but it has nothing to do with the function of the oven. However, for my oven, it’s required because the hinges have sensors, which detect light. The sensors close the entire unit so that it functions well.

They sent the technicians a month and a half ago. Then they told me that all they can cover is a courtesy cover for an amount of $200 for repair, plus $200 for the replacement of the oven. These ovens are not cheap ovens, because these are monogram GE. Things are written out differently in their papers and it’s difficult to argue this. They have written that that hinges are not covered because hinges are mechanical, but they should cover functional stuff and in this particular oven, hinges are functional things. It should be covered. That’s the whole point of having a homeowner's warranty. I spoke with America's 1st Choice Home Club, however, they’re not going to do anything more about it. I'd tell friends that they have to read all the fine details in order not to have problems with America's 1st Choice Home Club.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I had gone with another company I wasn't thrilled with it. So, when the warranty was coming to an end this year with the other one, I just thought, "You know what? I'm gonna look around" and America’s First Choice Home Club was great. I submitted two claims over the phone and I got through quickly. Everybody was very nice. I had a leak in my attic and they took care of that. They couldn't find a contractor so I had to refer them to a contractor I had used. It's someone who is really reputable in this area.

And then, I had to replace my dryer that quit working. It was too old for them to fully replace it with an equivalent type because who knows how old it was. But they offered $100 off of whatever I wanted to pick, and they gave me some suggestions. That was lovely. It was a very nice compromise. They referred me to Best Buy for the purchase of a dryer. I've been very satisfied and happy with AFC. I referred my sister to them. She had a different one and had a really tough time with them.

Ms. Busby,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your opinion and hope the continue to service your needs for years to come!

Original review: April 20, 2018

The most unprofessional and trust warranty company. I get this home warranty for 4 of my investment property including my home. I purchase the most expensive coverage plus extra coverage for ice maker and plumbing. Up to three years contract. For every single repair they bring an excuse to not pay or repair. Even due after few mounts getting contract I sold one of the property still they never paid me back the rest of 2.5 years left contract. All they said was lie and reject. Never recommended to anyone.

Original review: April 20, 2018

When my home warranty was up I looked on the internet and found different companies. I talked to a couple and with the three-year-plan, America’s First Choice Home Club's was the best economically. AFC first gave me a company that was way up in Marietta. I called him and there was just no way with my work schedule and he didn't wanna be down here in Stone Mountain. I called the company again and said, "Look, this guy, we can't find the time because he's so far away." And then, they gave me this other company and it worked out really well, and they got them here quickly. But that was kinda weird. And even he said, "I don't know why they gave me your case because I'm really far away." It was fixed pretty easily after I called and said I needed another company and they sent me another number.

However, he wouldn't tell me what was wrong with my furnace, and that irritated me to no end. I was like, "Well, that's my furnace. Tell me what you fixed." And he goes, "Oh, I can't discuss that." That was very irritating. So I waited until the next day because it was late by that day, and I called the company and told them, "He didn't tell me what was wrong. I would like to know what was wrong with my furnace." And she told me it was some gauge or something. That was weird that he couldn't tell or didn't want to. But they fixed my claim promptly. It worked out pretty good. I just did the $60 co-pay.

Ms. Sperry,

The technician needed to replace the pilot assembly. I have reached out to him and advised him that we share information with our members. Some home warranty companies have some sort of block on the information shared but we are open ended and as you stated it is your furnace therefore it is your right to know the diagnosis. Also, we are open 7 days a week so please feel free to call in if you are ever having an issue or have more questions. Thank you for your review, hopefully the information I provided helps to clear up any confusion. Also thank you for letting us know this, that way we were able to give the technician more training.

Original review: April 19, 2018 I Googled America’s First Choice Home Club and saw it was the top-rated one. I have filed two claims over the phone and it's been pretty quick. The reps were good and so were the technicians. They're still working on the garage while the washer had something with the computer. It was damaged and they replaced it.

I recommend AFC. So far, I have no problems with them.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for protecting your properties with us. We look forward to servicing you in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Original review: April 18, 2018

Watch out for all the loopholes and read your contracts. I purchased this warranty for my rental property. The appliances were older but I did not think they would not be eligible for repair. I mean ALL of them except for the new refrigerator we put in but then that's covered by the manufacturer. ALL new appliances come with a warranty or buy an extended with SquareTrade. I have had other home warranties where they replace the item with something of equal value (Sears Home Protection) no matter how old it is if it cannot be repaired. It is cheaper to just pay for a repair service or buy a new appliance if you want peace of mind.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

We have tried to reach out to this member directly several times in the past with no response. Please be aware no plan can take away the full responsibility of being a homeowner, and each company has terms to allocate just what is included for coverage. No loopholes in this plan all guidelines are published. We replace the item with like value of the current item or offer that towards repair. Hopefully we can assist you in the future and we wish you the best.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I had American Home Shield and I wish I never switched to America's First Choice Home Club. I signed a three-year contract with them and it's been bad experiences, left and right. The last time we had was so easy. You just call in, they text message you, somebody comes within 24 hours, the thing gets fixed, and then you're done. But First Choice always finds loopholes. They say they're not going to be responsible for that and they're not responsible for this.

In addition, when you sign up, they say you have to wait 30 days for it to take effect which is fine. I get it. But I felt they should have some clause there if you've had insurance like I did for the last five years. So I paid for two insurances for 30 days and then, when something happened the second month I had them, there was something in the fine print that says if something happens after the 30 days, First Choice only covers a certain percentage and they never told me that. I was upset.

Also, while submitting a claim was not too bad, they close. So if it's 5:45, you have to call back. But then, somebody will answer and tell you they don't know how to do things, which wasn't the case with the last company I had. I did ask First Choice why can't they put it in the system and start it or why are they even answering the phone if they can't do anything. I just get frustrated. And since after you start a claim, they have 48 hours to even contact their technician, I call around and find out who to use. I'm just glad that they allow you to do it because sometimes, like when my pump breaks on a pool and I have to wait a couple of days, the whole pool system that I have been paying to keep up could be messy. So I just had a technician come out.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 17, 2018

My brother wasn’t too happy with another company he was with. Then he heard about America's First Choice Home Club and he said he would give them a try. I also chose them because of him. The warranties that I had when I first bought my products were getting ready to expire. The reps were really nice but when I first signed up, they did not explain to me that when I have an issue, I have to have this person doing the repair give an estimate, then it has to be approved. When I had an issue with my toilet leaking, I called and they told me that I could use their person or I could get my own. But if I would use theirs, it would take maybe 24 hours and I couldn’t wait that long. My toilet was leaking and I needed to be able to use it. So they said that I could get my own person as long as he’s licensed, certified and insured. It was not a problem because I already had a plumber.

The plumber came out and told me what was wrong. I then called AFC and they told me they had to submit it to get it approved. I was like, “Approved? Where this approved come from?” If they were not satisfied with what this plumber told me, were they not paying for the work? I had them on speaker and the plumber was thinking that he was not going to get paid and that he had wasted his time. I told him he was going to get paid and I needed my toilet fixed. The AFC rep said that she would call right back. In the meantime, the plumber had to wait and he couldn’t do anything.

When I signed up, I asked the guy that I talked to how this works and he said that I would pay so much every month until I pay off the plan and then when I need a repair, I am going to pay $60. He didn’t tell me anything else. They can’t just tell us half of what they want us to know because they want our business. I’m a homeowner and when I say I need a repair, I need a repair. I can’t pick up the phone and call a landlord. I am the landlord. They’re supposed to conduct business the way they told me, no add-on and no added accessories.

I’m paying them $1250 for about three years and I’m only supposed to have to pay them $60 to get my stuff fixed. They told me all I needed was to make sure that the person was licensed and insured. He gave me a scope of what he was doing and then AFC was telling me the claim had to be approved and then they may tell me it’s not covered. They didn’t tell me that. I covered almost everything in my house, except for the water heater ‘cause it’s brand-new and it’s under coverage through who I bought it from. It was crazy and I was not a happy camper. My brother also had an incident and he’s not a happy camper right now either. His water heater went out and because it was leaking, AFC said it was not covered even though it’s not in their contract that it’s not covered. All they could give him was $180 towards a new one. But I’m new. I’ve only used them once and I’m willing to give them a second chance.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

This members request was placed, fixed and paid for all within 12 hours. Hopefully, this was a pleasant experience for the member. There are guidelines that must be followed as with any membership. We appreciate this members time and review.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I bought a home in 2015 and at the time, AFC was offering me the best price and they had a couple of other incentives that were working for me so I went with them. I have put in two service requests and AFC has gotten everything done. I just call them and they usually get back with me with the provider in my area that will take care of the work and go from there.

I’m not sure who the company was that they sent out the first time when I had a problem with my refrigerator. It was a husband and wife team. But they were very argumentative with me about how I was supposed to pay, because I know I’m only supposed to pay the $60 fee when they come out and then the warranty company pays the other. And the guy was arguing with me because evidently he works with other maintenance companies that don’t handle it that way. I had to call AFC while he was there and get them to talk to him before he would complete the work and do what he was supposed to do.

Then second guy that came in, AFC told me to have him call them before he did the work. I did that, but he told me he couldn’t get in touch with them and he was just gonna go ahead and fix the freezer. And since the freezer wasn’t working, I just let him fix it because my ice was melting and the stuff in there was melting. When I talked to America’s 1st Choice, the lady told me that that took the choice of replacing the refrigerator out of my hands, because I could have gone with replacement and having them give me whatever they were going to give me towards the replacement or I have him repair it. But since he already repaired it, I felt that he had to be paid because he did the work. So, the technicians have been little iffy, but other than that, they have gotten the stuff done and they worked really well with me.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

When a technician is assigned, a work order is provided with step by step guidelines. Since techs are third party sometimes they may forget to take the work order or not understand the process. The two techs that came to your home have worked with us several times, so I do apologize they seemed confused. I have reached out to them for a refresher on how the claims process works. If you ever feel like they are not doing the job as they should, or you would like to talk to us we are 24/7 at 855-613-4555 ext 1

Original review: April 15, 2018

America’s First Choice Home Club has better ratings. I have an ongoing claim with them which I filed over the phone. I missed my first appointment so I had to call them back. The contractor was very polite, and I was very apologetic. He's supposed to come back on Friday. They've been cool so far. Don't choose other people.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

We are glad to help, thank you!

Original review: April 14, 2018

My brother is a realtor and I was buying a house and he told me to look into some kind of insurance plan. I Googled it and America's 1st Choice Home Club came up. Their prices were reasonable and it seemed like they covered more. But that’s an issue because the person I spoke to on the phone would sell me anything. They got the packet but I didn't get it and I had to call three times for it. And he had told me the roofs were covered, but they were not. He had told me, "Your dishwasher breaks, we replace it." Those were his words.

I just had my heater go and AFC Home Club took depreciation because it's 10 years old. First, they tried to give me $100 and I said no. I had it inspected before I moved in. I could have wanted a heating specialist like an HVAC type of person to look at it, but we had to pay for that. I'm disabled and I can't force a big bill. But I still wasn’t satisfied with the service call, so I paid for somebody else. When I told AFC Home Club that, they brought the bill up to $200 something, but the bill with the other contractor was over $300. So, it's very misleading when you talk to a salesman.

I call when I submit claims and the first claim I had was for my garage door that wouldn't close. Being a single woman, I was concerned about getting it shut. It was a weekend and the rep said someone would call me first thing in the morning, and nobody called. I called the garage door company which took care of the problem but AFC Home Club did not pay for the whole repair. Also, there was one time when I had no heat. AFC Home Club said the repair would be in a couple days, but then it was in mid-winter and I had no heat. So, for both times with the garage door and the heat, I got my own contractor because I wasn’t waiting for their guy to come out. If it's something that needs to be fixed right away, I'd be happy to use a third person. AFC Home Club's service was so-so, but I paid three years in advance. My experience with them has been very disappointing and I wouldn’t recommend them.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I read the reviews on the internet and America’s First Choice Home Club was certainly better than the last two that I had. It sounded like a good possibility so I just gave it a try. I file claims over the phone and the reps have been very good. The wait has not been long, which was unbearable with the last company that I had. I have only had one claim and I was very satisfied with the contractor's work. I have to call them again because my dishwasher is leaking.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

We are happy to help! Thank you for the review and please feel free to call 855-613-4555 for your dishwasher or submit the request online at www.afchomeclub.com

Original review: April 7, 2018

Our AC unit went out and the part needed to fix it was $1500. We were also advised we should replace the system. One of the reasons I took out a home warranty was for situations such as this. AFC said the part we needed to fix the AC wasn't covered and would not pay anything toward a new unit. Why do I even have coverage? I plan to cancel.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had a good experience with America's First Choice Home Club. I was searching for the best warranty, so I started Googling. Then I saw they're rated, so I got it. I talked to the sales guy and he was good. I was happy about being able to cancel it at any time or I can bring my own contractor--I have a good plumber. However, when my contractor tried to call, he waited a long time. So he dropped the call because he was coming and it was an emergency plumbing issue. Besides, the contractor cannot keep calling or be staying online for a long time. But other than that, when I call AFC, they would call me back immediately and send out a contractor for a different issue.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your review. Please be aware we have just extended our service hours to ensure the wait time is no longer delayed.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I researched AFC Home Club online. I was looking for prices and the benefits were nice. The claims process, which I did online, was very easy. The first technician never showed up. So, that one wasn’t that great. The issue resolved itself somehow, and so I told AFC Home Club to look into them and maybe not use them again just because they never called or never showed up. Nevertheless, the next tech came on time and got it fixed really quickly. He was really good. I'd definitely recommend AFC Home Club.

Lauren,

Thank you for your response. Criss electric was removed from our database in Dec. 2017 after the no call no show. I am happy we were able to help after. If you ever need anything please feel free to reach out.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 5, 2018

Whenever I submit a claim, I call in and open a claim. The claims rep answers, opens the claim and gets the information. When my dryer and oven broke, the technicians who came were fine and got everything situated. We've had AFC for years and it started when we looked into getting a home warranty due to the cost of replacing appliances and other things that would be potentially very expensive. We searched and we found AFC Home Club.

Original review: April 4, 2018

One of my friends said something about AFC Home Club. I went on the internet to compare prices and decided to go with them. When I filed claims, the technicians they sent out were great. The first company I called was for my washing machine that wasn't spinning. Their tech kept saying that I owed $75 but I said I owed $60 and AFC would pay them the rest. He called his office and got it straightened out. So, they weren't very informed on that.

Other than that, AFC should make answering the phone a priority. I would call them and nobody would answer. Then, when I talk to them, they'd put me on hold but would never say, it'd be a 10-minute or a five-minute wait. It would just have this music come on and it was very frustrating. I used to have American Home Shield and they would always answer and I'd get serviced. So, I thought that AFC gave me bad service and I almost went back to American Home Shield because of it. I tried to call my salesperson but he never answered. So I'm giving AFC another try and hopefully, they get better on that. Otherwise, everybody I talked to was very nice. I also recommended AFC to others. For a home warranty, $60 makes a big difference and I suppose their price doesn't go up like it did with American Home Shield. I started off with $35 in American Home Shield and it went the whole way up to $75. So if AFC's price would stay at $60, it'd be fine.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for your review. We now have services in place that ensure your call is answered 24/7. Please make sure you always call 855-613-4555 ext 1 as the sales department are not open 24/7, thank you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 3, 2018

I was getting older and unable to do a lot. I replaced a roof this year, an EZ tier, and a brand new refrigerator, which would have been covered by a home warranty. And everybody said it was getting to be a time for everything else to start falling apart in my house, so I decided that I needed to see some insurance for all my home needs. I was searching among different companies, filled out a form, and somebody from AFC Home Club personally called, so they got my business.

I tried filing a claim with them online for my septic system but their website wasn't responding right, so I did it by phone. When their reps came out, they stopped the septic system and I was not using water or the toilet for a couple of days. Then, nobody was calling me back. So, I called AFC again and this time, they apologized and said that the problem was that they hadn't been able to find anybody locally that works with my system because I'm in a small community in the west side of the mountains of Washington State. So they told me that perhaps I could find somebody myself locally, which I did.

When the people came out from the company to work on the system, the fellow who was in-charged spoke with AFC's representative on the phone. She spoke to me and said that they would be covering the work up to $190. Fortunately, it didn't cost that much. I sent the paperwork last month and so far, I haven't received my money yet. Still, I was satisfied with how they dealt with me. I also liked how they contacted me and that they seemed informative when I asked questions about the warranty before I actually signed up.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I shopped around for different home warranty providers and I selected America's First Choice Home Club after doing a comparison of the cost and services provided by other companies. I worked with their salesperson in Georgia, explained to him what type of home equipment I had, and he was able to cover what I described to him. I've had two claims so far and for the first one, I called ahead to talk to the service people and make sure it was covered. There was a situation that wasn't covered but it was not a big deal.

On the second one I had recently, I was able to get a covered piece of the equipment repaired. I was encouraged to provide some evidence of preventive maintenance on this equipment and since I've only had the house for a few months, it was a little difficult to provide that. But I used the home inspection information that was provided when we did the inspection of the house and that was okay with the claims people. America's First Choice Home Club was also very responsive. I was able to get the work scheduled the very next day and got it done, so I couldn't be happier for that. Plus, we had a good repair person that was easy to work with. I was on site when the repairs were being made so I could understand what was going on and how to avoid it in the future. It was an easy and painless process. I got full coverage for the maintenance, too. That was the one experience I had where the warranty seemed pretty reasonable.

Stephen,

We are very happy to hear that you were pleased with the service. Our technicians will always walk you through the work being done to your home to ensure you are aware of what is going on. Please call us with any future needs.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I went with America's First Choice Home Club because of their pricing, although they are competitive with everyone else. Submitting a claim, however, was a very poor experience and I was very disappointed. I had a garbage disposal issue and I've come to find out they only reimburse a partial amount of the disposal and not any labor required in replacing. Because on their website, it says what they cover, which one of them was the disposal. But it does not say that the labor is not included and it does not say that for the disposal, as an example, "We only cover x-amount." And looking closely at the contract, it stipulates something about certain items that they do not reimburse labor charges for. I even did the installation myself as they would not cover labor.

Also, my wife said that that was the reason why we have a home warranty because of that labor. If we have known that, we would not have picked that insurance home warranty. It was not disclosed properly. When you're paying a home warranty and you're not really getting what you're expecting, I think that is wrong. Our past home warranty was a very different service. They paid for the labor. We thought we'd try something different and it was a mistake.

So consequently, this was our first claim with them. Hopefully, it would be my last because next year, when this expires, I'm canceling and going with someone else. Plus, there was a refund that happened well over a month ago, and when I called them just this past week, it was just an answering service and the technician would not get back to me until Monday morning. They failed to mention, "Oh, it could take up to 30 days to have your check process-- your claim process and check reimbursement." So, I just received it just yesterday. We're very disappointed with their service.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 28, 2018

Was lied to when purchasing coverage as they told me it will cover items it did not. When I called to ask, I was laughed at by manager who said I must have imagined it. Can you believe it! I sent in a certified letter to cancel the coverage and just got a renewal email. Of course when I called to make sure they will not bill me again, no one answered. DO NOT purchase this insurance. STAY AWAY!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I have been with this company for 4 years now and each interaction I have had has been great! I was surprised to read some of the other reviews but I am happy. I just had a plumbing issue with my toilets and sinks backing up. I called them that morning and they had a plumber set up for me within a few hours. He snaked the lines and had to replace some piping which I know can't be cheap. I have had about a request a year so far and each time I have been happy, I feel like I am getting my money's worth and that I am appropriately protected.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you, we are glad to help!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 18, 2018

I'm very disappointed with this company because I purchased a home warranty for my home and 3 months later I submitted a claim and not only that they don't want to cover the electric fail. I have to pay the technician that was very unprofessional to tell me what I already know. That it was a short in the wire, when you no need to be a scientist to know that, and I discovered that, they have a lot of hiding stuff in the contract. They only covers parts that doesn't break on the items. They said that your appliances, plumbing and electronic, electric are covered but it's only parts that doesn't break. They don't cover the main things, don't ever buy this warranty.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 5, 2018

I submitted my first claim to AFC Home Club and the rep was alright but I'm just not happy about it. They sent a guy out to do what I already knew had to be done. I knew the machine had to be replaced. I wish I'd gotten more than $100 because the machine costs over $400. They claimed that the old machine is only worth that much because of the age of it. I'm going to end up getting $40 because that guy cost me $60. Also, the new washer hasn't arrived yet. I wish they would cover more of the money for the machine and not to have charged me of $60 for a guy to come out and spend 10 minutes to look at a latch and say it's broken. The whole thing seemed kind of silly. I would not recommend them and would tell others that I wasn't happy with the entire experience.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 2, 2018

I've had a home warranty before and I decided to look into getting one again. AFC Home Club has live people I can talk to and that made me go with them. When I submitted a claim, I did it online but it was difficult so the live person had to come in. I had a fine dealing with their rep but I feel that the technicians they used were not competent and the quality of work they performed was not good. At the time, they did not look into the problem and just recommended a replacement. I had another technician that came out and did an evaluation, and it was a totally different conclusion. I also found out later that there were a lot of hidden agenda and some limitations. There were stuff they don't cover after I signed up. When something happened after the first month and my repair cost was up to a $1,000, they only covered $150. They also said I can cancel anytime, but there is a cancellation fee. I’m very dissatisfied and I’ll tell a friend of mine not to go with them.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I researched America's 1st Choice Home Club online as I was looking for a home warranty. Initially, I thought that what they were offering was competitive in comparison to other home warranties. It may have been a rushed decision since there was a $250 down payment, which I didn't know about until the actual sign up of the warranty, so it took me by surprise. And I still pay them each month.

They're responsive in reference to filing the claim. They have it set up where it's user-friendly. However, when it comes to the people they have contracted with to come out to our home, I haven't had the best outcomes. On the first situation, the person never even called me. I was chasing him down to schedule something. We ended up having to go to somebody else since he wasn't very responsive. I'm usually patient where I could give him a week, but it started dragging on.

The second time around, the technician needed to come out multiple times before he resolved the problem. He took out something out of my refrigerator that wasn't broken, which I never liked. And then, he never brought that part back because he said that he replaced it. I told him that maybe I could get that other one and continue to utilize that in case something does happen. Still, he didn't return it. And then, the replaced part still doesn't function as it would even if I would've called somebody with more professionalism or experience. Now I regret going with America's 1st Choice and should've gone with somebody else that has more technicians, locally, that can accommodate my needs.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Submitting a claim with AFC was okay, but it wasn’t very accessible to get a hold of people because of the timeframe over the weekend. It would be nice to have some options. But I had a fine experience with their claims rep, and the technicians were prompt and courteous.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

When I bought a new house, I looked into getting a home warranty and I liked AFC Home Club’s cost. I normally submit a claim online, and their claims process including the website navigation was easy. Everybody has been really good and I'm very happy with it. I've only had two claims, but one involved a company that took three weeks to complete the service. Supposedly, there was a part coming in but they didn’t follow up well with me so it was frustrating and I let AFC know about it. Other than that, the work quality was fine, and also, AFC Home Club was better than American Home Shield.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I felt more comfortable with the first rep from America's First Choice Home Club that I talked to versus other people. In the beginning, filing a claim with them was complicated and frustrating. I wasn't getting the response I needed and there was confusion. And when I spoke to their claims representative, I got transferred during the first phone call. But it was partly my fault. There were conclusions in the contract that weren't clear to me and there were certain things that weren't spelled out fully to my understanding. Also, I didn't ask what the max was and I should have asked questions before making decisions. So I went back to them about that and everything is better now. Their pool of technicians is good and I had no problems with them. I also found it respectful that AFC let me use our own people. I would tell friends and family members to reach out to AFC but I would tell them to get more details and other opinions out there.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I am only leaving one star because I can't leave zero. I took a policy with AFC in November when our original policy expired with American Home Shield and the price went up to renew. We had been in our house a year and our home had had a lot of unexpected breakages in the first year so we took the platinum AFC coverage as insurance against any surprises. Our water heater broke last Thursday. Actually the pipe above it burst and was leaking on the heater. I called as soon as I noticed it and they called back the following day and left the message of a contractor to come and assess the heater. This was the first difference my prior experience, I had to arrange my own contractor.

I called the company and they said they had never heard of AFC and didn't do warranty call outs except American Home Shield. I had used this plumber before however and knew they were a good firm. It took until Monday calling back and forth for them to send a work order to the plumber so they would come out. I got on the schedule and they came out Tuesday, by which time the slow leak was all over one corner of my unfinished part of the basement. I mentioned this to the service center and they said to "call back when the technician was in situ and they would be able to resolve the problem then and there." The technician came out and said the valve above the heater had failed and it was not a standard valve.

I was present when he told the service center this on the call. They then said they could not resolve the claim "because the claims department has many cases prior to yours." Then there was an issue with the fact I have two water heaters which I told them when I was sold the policy. They said they were likely under warranty and they had the wrong serial number. Then they said the water heater had failed and it was not covered. I was exasperated at this point and felt that they were flipping through a book to find reasons to refuse the charge and their response was neither in the spirit nor the letter of the warranty I bought. They offered a goodwill gesture of $125 against a $1360 repair.

I was made to feel like a crook on the make rather than someone making a valid claim on an insurance policy I took out. I said at that point I would cancel my policy and save myself the money towards the repair seeing as vice days later all I had was a larger leak, a ton of aggravation and the number of the guy I would have called originally. They said to cancel they needed a certified letter their head office, a $75 cancellation fee and my policy would be prorated from when they received the policy. I rang their main office at that point and asked to speak to a supervisor. She called me the following morning and I gave hearth history. She said she wondered why I had two heaters and looked online and my house looked great, I have a lovely home, which I felt was way out of the scope of my complaint.

I explained I had gone ahead and scheduled the repair being 6 days without water and having a sizable amount of water on my basement floor. She said she wouldn't cover heaters, I explained again the heater had not failed. It was the plumbing to it which is clearly covered in all the information I had. I gave her the number of the technician who she called and confirmed. She said she would not cover the repair beyond $180. The cost of the heater and a node in Lowe's, that the rest of the repair is labor which they wouldn't cover anyway and that's was only a goodwill gesture given as the valve was not standard. I expressed my frustration given that I was as a homeowner not surely expected to certify every piece of equipment prior to buying the policy and this was only the latest in a long list of reasons to try refuse the claim.

That surely labor would be covered in any event as it was in my previous policy. My advice is keep your $600 towards any failure you might have in your home and stay well clear of these crooks, they fully intend to do nothing for any failure in your home and their customer service is by far the poorest I've encountered in a long time. I spend over 3 hours on hold in all this back and forth and never spoke to the same person twice. I will be canceling this policy.

AFC Home Club expert review by Michele Lerner

America's 1st Choice Home Club offers policyholders peace of mind with complete home protection options. Consumers can choose from three plans to get protection that meets their needs and budget, and the company offers several additional benefits to add value to their warranties.

• Tiered pricing: America’s 1st Choice has tiered pricing options, which allows homeowners to only cover systems that need protection.

• Complete coverage: Some warranties only cover specific issues and systems, but with the Gold package from AFC Home Club, homeowners are covered for everything from HVAC to all interior plumbing and appliances.

• Flat service fee: All calls for repairs and malfunctions will incur a low $60 service fee, regardless of how expensive the final repair ends up being.

• Savings at the store: In addition to AFC Home Club's home warranty program, policyholders also receive membership into Retail Benefits, a savings program. Shoppers can earn cash back on more than 300,000 items at over 5,000 retailers.

• Eat out on AFC Home Club: Every month, policyholders are eligible for a $25 Restaurant.com gift card, allowing them to dine at one of thousands of participating restaurants.

• Best for: homeowners, home sellers, builders and property developers.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information