toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

I bought a home, moved into it and wanted something better than the home warranty company I had. I did a Google search and AFC had the best reviews. When I submitted a claim with them, it went smooth and the rep had it pushed through pretty quickly. The tech who came was a local company that I used a few times directly on my other needs. He was excellent.

I've always had a home warranty, but I never liked American Home Shield. I fired them and terminated their service years ago. AFC is certified and approved, and they're endorsed by the Better Business Bureau. They've been very professional, courteous and fast each time I submit a claim. They explain everything very well. A technician comes in within a couple of days and depending on my schedule, but they’re normally readily available within 24 to 48 hours. They’re very patient.

Overall AFC has been excellent because I bought this house April 1st, 2013, built from the ground up and they built the house so fast that I didn’t think I could’ve sued them for negligence. I made up my mind that whatever I replace, it would be top quality and it’d be a top-quality company that would install it. I've replaced four things so far, including the sump pump, but it wasn’t under the warranty so I had to pay by my own pocket. When January comes, I can renew my contract and I’m gonna add some more things on it. I've told my church about AFC, so I’ve been advertising for their company because I had good experiences.

I am not one to normally write reviews. I am a simple person who just wants to get what they pay for and I believe in Karma. I needed to tell other about this company so they too can experience what it is like to have someone stand up to their word, which is not normal these days. I called AFC about 2pm when it got real hot here about a week ago. My house was 79 degrees and my pregnant wife was about to have a fit. They had the tech at my door within 3 hours, be it this was a heat wave and he was still there that day! He was working on the unit for about 2 hours and it ended up needed quite the repair, when all was said and done what was asked of me? NOTHING ALL I PAID WAS $60.00 deductible and he was on his way. I couldn't believe how simple it really was. (Guess I am a skeptic.) I would highly recommend them to anyone I know, my house has been cool since.

I submitted a repair bill of $270 to replace a toilet that costs $500 to replace. The bill was submitted over a month and a half ago. A couple weeks ago I sent an email asking when I would receive payment and never got a response. I called your office and a person apologized and said the payment would be sent out shortly. The person said the person who should have handled the bill is no longer working with AFC. I still have not received payment. Your service is horrible and I will cancel if I don't receive payment by Friday.

Factual basis uncertain

Critical things that the homeowner needs to be aware of are either not mentioned or not emphasized. AFC requires that your HVAC system is kept under maintenance otherwise they will refuse to fulfill your service request. Fortunately, I just happened to be in a situation where my HVAC system did recently undergo maintenance. I can't imagine that many folks would do so and still maintain an expensive home warranty service but that was my scenario. Amazingly, when I called in a service request for my unresponsive HVAC system AFC claimed that my maintenance did not meet their expectations.

It was only after I threatened to escalate the matter legally that they moved on to presenting me with yet another obstacle from their playbook. For instance, the next thing I learned (as many others here have testified to) is that you really do not have any substantial coverage until 2 months after you sign the contract. I had to pay for the majority of my service request because it fell within the 60 period. To add to this insult, they sent out a technician who was a crook. He gouged me by marking up the price for parts by over 400%. When I confronted the technician he was shocked that I was able to find out his real costs and decided that he would not be upfront about any more transactions. After I had paid him about $300 I still had to find another technician to finish the job paying even more money. I contacted AFC about this and they promised they would look into it but did not. They really are the worst!

Even though I was 100% certain that I met the criteria for AFC's arbitrary maintenance requirement I still think it is thoroughly disingenuous of AFC to not point out this potential deal-breaker up-front while collecting a year's payment for a home warranty service that is markedly different from others on the market. You collect someone's money based upon a lengthy conversation that is meant to give the gist of the home warranty offering but you conveniently leave out something this important in the conversation then you mail me a packet which for the first time introduces me to the concept of a maintenance requirement but employs vague wording which allows the company to decide if they like my brand of maintenance or not. Lucky for me that I am somewhat of a records keeper otherwise I would be completely cheated.

Personally, I never want to be in a situation where I have to worry whether my technician's maintenance activities meets a standard based on the interpretation of someone who is incentivized to find a non-compliant situation. That to me is not the ideal home warranty service. That is why I'm infuriated and disgusted with this experience already.

In short, it is crooked to take someone's money and then play silly games wasting everyone's time. The right thing to do is to honor your agreement since I have met the criteria and not putting me in a situation where I am tracking down the person who performed maintenance on my unit to ask him if furnish more documents beyond the invoice. Nevertheless, when my year is complete, I have no intention of staying with such a shady company. You would be wise to research all of these items prior to enrolling with AFC.

Factual basis uncertain

Nowhere in any quote or information on the America's 1st Choice Home Club site do they say anything about the prerequisites required for them to service your Air conditioning units. Only after you have paid buried in page 13 in the Terms and Conditions do they mention that you need annual service reports for them to come repair the unit. Had we known we would have either made that a condition of the purchase of our house or found another company.

America's 1st Choice Home Club

Patrick, thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy to hear you were pleased with the service.

Original review: April 10, 2017

We were having problems with our fridge freezing items. The first service tech was a bit of a bust and didn't resolve the issue completely. I called back to let them know I was still having issues. That's when being a member really shined! The second repairman was a blessing and not only took care of the issue, helped us understand more about the fridge. In all this was a great experience. The customer service rep heard my issue with the first service tech and took care of the problem. I am a repeat customer with AFC and will continue to use them in the future.

No response received

I purchased a home warranty with AFC in December after being with American Home Shield for several years. I now know that this was a huge mistake. AFC never sent us any kind of contract info, coverage info, how to make claims, anything. A few weeks ago the condenser unit of our AC started having problems. After searching all over for a number, and then being transferred multiple times, I was told that I called sales instead of service. I was not transferred at that point but given a different number to call. I called the second number, and after sitting on hold for quite some time, I was finally able to talk to a representative and made the claim. She asked if we had "regular maintenance" on the unit, and I answered yes, as we change the filter monthly and spray off the outside unit and keep it free of leaves and any other debris. She said that we should've had a professional company do an annual check.

I told her I'd never heard of that. She sent someone out anyway, and I thought nothing else of it. The AC repairman found a pretty severe leak, which he has said WAS NOT CAUSED by lack of maintenance. AFC, however, is now refusing to pay for our repairs due to "lack of annual maintenance." This is absolutely ridiculous. Had I known that this was a requirement, we would not have switched to this company. I have filed a complaint with the Texas AG's office, and will be switching back to American Home Shield as soon as possible. Horrible, horrible service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

America's 1st Choice Home Club

Celia, we value your feedback and look forward to servicing your home in the future.

Original review: April 5, 2017

We had a claim on our dishwasher. The technician that AFC Home Club sent told us that he would be here around such time and he showed up half hour late. But he came from Tacoma which is out of town so that's understandable. He found the problem and fixed it, the leaking stopped. We also got new flooring because the leaking rotted our floors. Then I discovered that when I open the door, the dishwasher moves forward a bit. I gotta get ahold of the guy and ask to fix it back because I'm putting the house up for sale next month so I don't want it falling out.

Our first claim never went through and that was when we needed a plumber really bad. There was Catelyn and she called every plumber around us but nobody would take their insurance. That's not her fault and she did a great job. Their staff works hard, they get back on-time, and they're very polite. Also, for the price of $69.44 a month, it covered our septic tank. This company is great. I love and highly recommend them.

I purchased a three-year contract and included numerous miscellaneous products as well. So far the ice maker dryer and additional swimming pool products have been denied. Just curious what the heck good does it do. It does not rotate year after year just depletes. I will not recommend this company. I have more than 900 friends on my Facebook page.

Everything was fine with America's First Choice Home Club until recently. I had two things. The first one was my dishwasher that was leaking. They sent somebody out to look at it both times. The guy from Mr. Appliance was a great guy and I liked him. The guy from Mister Sparky was totally a hard-sell intimidating guy and I did not care for him at all. AFC told the guy that the part was covered so he ordered it but then within five minutes of him leaving, they said it's not covered. It was only gonna be $150 for it to be fixed and it was really cheap.

The second one was my light in the hallway would be been dim and would come back. We've been in the house for 3 months so it was not something that was going on at the beginning. I called and they scheduled an electrician out who wanted it to be a $10,000 deal. I don't know whether AFC shouldn't have to pay for what the guy was suggesting, but they said most of the problems were pre-existing.

I talked to my realtor about it and she told me that's absolutely ridiculous. She has never known a company to respond like that. So, I don't even know how to complain or where to complain to get it out there. But I would certainly tell people, "Don't go with this company." I don't think they're on the up-and-up. I found them when I typed in home warranty companies with good reviews and I've seen now how foolish that was. It doesn't mean anything. Or I was confused about the name and chose the wrong one.

I am not normally the type who complains about stuff, but I absolutely went with the wrong company and I think that AFC is worthless. They are terrible and I have been very unhappy with them. They're a rip off and they do not cover what they say will cover. They're dishonest and their people don't even know the right hand from the left. I called once and they told me to have somebody come out and look at the issue I had. Then their rep kept calling me and telling me they already did set up something on it. They don't care and they don't know what they are doing. It has been an awful and very unsatisfactory experience with AFC.

America's 1st Choice Home Club

Norman, I apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced in regards to the garage door opener. If possible I would like to follow up with you in order to get your issues resolved.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I've had home warranties on and off for a long time and I tried AFC to see if they're any better. My garage door opener broke, which I had to pay for and send AFC the bill. They are discounting and doing all other things so, I'm not happy at all. This is the third time that it has happened and all has been totally negative. The other two warranty providers I had always take care of the problem and deal with the person who comes out to do the fix.

I had a very bad experience with AFC, they are nothing but crooks & running a scam. While signing, they were really nice and completed form quote to selling in few hours. During signing process, even I asked, if they need anything like pictures, documents or want me to do anything, they told “No, we got you covered”. However, when I placed my first repair requests, they made all kind of excuses, asked annual inspection report and refused to cover cost. Their own repair guy told me that they do this all the time. I ended up of paying for repair. I was really unhappy for not telling me all the requirement upfront. I asked to cancel the service. They gave me all kinds of excuses to make it difficult and took three months to cancel and did not make complete return. I do not recommend these guys to anyone. Just be careful...

America's 1st Choice Home Club

Morris, I would like to let you know that we do value you as one of our customers. It is in our best interest to provide you with exceptional customer service. One of our team members will be following up with you soon in regards to your oven issue. Thanks

Original review: April 1, 2017

On the recent claim that I had, America's 1st Choice called me and told me that the part was in and the tech was supposed to come pick it up. The company called me and said they can give me a window, which was some time last week but I still haven't heard from them. I made a call yesterday to AFC and the young lady said that she was going to look into it and find out what happened and give me a call. And I haven't heard anything from that either.

And then usually, when something breaks down, I only have a $65 service fee but I haven't had anything that was just $65. I had a heat exchanger that they installed and fixed. I paid the $65 for the technician to come out and for them to install it, it cost me $140. And then when my oven went out, I called them and I had to end up buying a new oven myself and then they reimbursed me a portion of that. But it wasn't what I signed up for.

When I initially talked to the rep, he was polite but he didn't tell me everything. I didn't find about a certain coverage until after I got my paperwork. If I asked some questions, I should be told what they do or how they do it and that should be enough for me. I volunteered for the service, so there shouldn't be a small print. But then I get in a situation and I called, and then they asked me if I have read my contract so I don't appreciate that at all. I'm a little upset but I'm trying to give it a chance to work out.

I had a property that I have a tenant in for the first time ever so I got the AFC home warranty to insulate myself from getting daily calls from said tenant. When the tenant said that they had an issue with the toilet running, I told them to contact AFC. The plumber contacted the tenants but the tenant was not getting back to them. So I sent the tenant a text telling her to respond to the plumber or she has to cover the cost on her own. She then responded to the plumber and the plumber came in and fixed it. Our experience with AFC has been efficient and relatively trouble-free. However, when I called AFC first before calling the plumber, I was surprised that they had no one respond to anything on the weekend. I got a service that said they'll get back to me on Monday when they're in the office. They should have had somebody on call over the weekend.

America's 1st Choice Home Club

This review has incorrect data. This member attempted to file a plumbing request during her 30 day review period, during this time anything that fails is your responsibility as the membership is not active. She attempted to wait until after the 30 days to file again and we advised her we could not service this unless she had the prior failure repaired. On her microwave, this is an "over the range unit" not a built in unit. It is not our responsibility to know exactly what the member has in their homes, we do our best to help service and ask lots of questions but AFC did not fail to service her and we gave a goodwill on a non-covered item.

Original review: March 29, 2017

My last claim with American 1st Choice wasn’t too bad but I could not say they’re the greatest to deal with. The first time, I had tried to make a claim and I wasn't allowed to since it had to be over 30 days. Then I did again later on during Christmas time. It was after that that I called, and they said, "Oh, that's within 60 days. So we can't do anything about it." That only made me more and more frustrated. Then our microwave died. I called in and we're paying extra per month to cover the microwave. The rep called back and said it's their bad, but it's not considered a built-in microwave because there isn't something around all four sides, only three sides. I said that was ridiculous. They gave me $100 so I could buy a new microwave and that's it.

Angie with customer service is nothing short of AWESOME!! We had the unfortunate luck of losing functionality of both our washer and drying within a very short timeframe. Angie was able to provide us a quick decision so we could decide if the appliances warranted repair or should be replaced. Her professionalism and knowledge of my contract was spectacular. Angie is why we will remain a AFC customer for the foreseeable future. Thank you!!

I was looking for a home warranty company, I looked up online and saw AFC Home Club. Whenever I was reviewing their package and their plans, they seemed to just have a better value. Then, I looked at their plans online, spoke to a customer service representative and it was never explained to me that after I purchase my warranty, the warranty wouldn't go into effect for another 60 days after that purchase. I felt that I'm a little bit misled. Our refrigerator went out and we ended up having to spend money out of our own pockets to have it replaced.

Customer Service responded fairly fast, via email, considering I had a late Saturday afternoon call in for service. They phoned me early Monday morning and we went over the situation of my water heater not lighting. I got an igniter and also purchased a thermo-couple, to save the technician time on retrieving parts that would most likely be used.

I met a plumber on my trip for parts and asked for his card. I explained to AFC representative that I would like to use this company. The company did not accept payment from AFC, so it was agreed that I would pay and be reimbursed from AFC except for my "deductible/service call charge." As it turned out, it was just the igniter that needed to be replaced, an easy in & out situation. The technician showed up, just as I was lighting the unit. I gave him a NICE plant for his wife. So all in all, no service call was really necessary, but I had a heck of a time lighting this older unit. :(

The seller of the house my wife and I included this warranty as a part of our Purchase so fortunately I didn't spend any of my own money out of my Pocket however whatever the seller paid was in vain. This company controls the whole process with making any claims, keeps you out of the loop and finds any clause or way out of honoring your claim. We attempted to only make two claims (Keep in mind our home was built in the 60's) which within our first year of ownership isn't too bad. Needless to say nothing covered, nothing processed, paid out of pocket for minor repairs (both not exceeding $300).

When I advised the rep handling my account that I wanted to speak to a manager or supervisor I was denied. I advised them that I simply wanted answers before I took to leaving anyone's review online. She then said, "We don't respond well to threats" and ask me to never call again?? This after being covered by them never offering me a prorated refund??? I would never do business with them after that experience.

I am having a horrible experience with AFC Home Club. They have more exclusions than covered items, but they will not tell you about those exclusions when you are shopping for a policy. In my case, I was directly communicating with AFC Home Club sales team and not one of their reps told me that they require annual maintenance on HVAC units. Nor will you find that anywhere on their website. They did not mail the actual contract to me until 2.5 months after I purchase the contract, so I could not even read all the fine print during the so called "30 day money back guarantee review period".

I have filed total 3 claims with AFC Home Club during the 6 months I've been "covered". Out of three they only paid in full 1 claim (the issue turned out to be very simple). They made me pay half of the repair costs (in addition to the service fee) on the second claim. They are flat out refusing to pay anything on the third claim which is a malfunctioning heat pump, using the pretext that malfunction was discovered during annual maintenance and we cannot provide them records of previous maintenance within 12 months prior (because we only purchased the house a little over a year prior and had a home warranty company for that first year that did not require HVAC maintenance and the home inspection had not found any issues). Beware of this company and make sure you demand the detailed explanation of coverage before you make your decision. Otherwise they will prey on you as they are preying on me.

America's 1st Choice Home Club

Ta-Hwa, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to servicing your home!

Original review: March 27, 2017

We recently submitted a claim when our tenant gave me a call about water leaking in the bathroom. It worked very well, but the only issue is the plumber asked me to pay $60 to them. So I said, "I already paid through the home warranty company." They say, "Oh, really?". And he said he's going to call the home warranty company and give me a callback. Because usually, we directly pay to them, not the home warranty company. But he never gave me one so I assume that it is okay. I talked to a lot of my friends about AFC and they say it's really good. So they start looking for the home warranty company and I'm recommending AFC.

Insufficient response received

I bought a new house and saw online that AFC’s price was compatible that's why I chose them as my home warranty provider, but their services were very bad. I was so frustrated and about to call to cancel my warranty. I have three years of warranty but they were reluctant to repair things. They were making a lot of excuses like their system was down or they didn't see the email.

The problem was with my stove. The coil and glass were broken. They then have sent some external company to me. Those people were not tracking the issue with them correctly and nobody was following it up. I was calling them back and forth. Finally, AFC said, "Oh. I thought they would call me and they're saying they would follow it up." I submitted the quotation and then, they didn't repair the problem. They said that the coil will be replaced but not the glass and that their contract states, “If an external damage happened, then we don't take care of it.” I said, "Well, if it was just external damage happened without having coil damage, then you would say that. But because of the coil had been broken and the glass had been broken too, so then it is dependent on this broken." So, I had a little argument and they didn't understand the problem. They were just looking at the restrictions in their contract.

It took four months to get my money from them. I asked them, "If you're thinking that you are not repairing the glass and repairing the glass will cost me another $400. And then how much will you pay for the coil?" They replied, "$230." Then I asked if they could you reimburse me that because I can buy the new burner myself. So, I contributed $400 from my pocket and $230 from their pocket, but then I bought the burner. I resolved the issue this way.

It was so much hassle to get $230 reimbursed toward my real damage. It wasn’t a fake damage and they were reluctant to repair it regardless of the issue. My major concern’s that the house I bought is a renovated one. The heating and cooling system were installed a couple of years ago but the maintenance might renew it. That's why I bought the insurance. The house is perfectly all up and running good. Its machinery part was fixed in 2014 and I was trying to make sure everything is insured. But I'm doubtful now how they will handle the the bigger part if the burner took repairing that long and they're so reluctant to fix it.

Additionally, their strategy was making the administrative process bad in a way that people would be feeling hard to not to call them anymore. The selling part was from different area and not in their office. The selling was very comfortably done but the repair section was very bad. The officer who was making the decision about the repairing never picks up the call. And the person that receives the call is someone who doesn't have any knowledge about the ticketing system. They're very apprentice type of people. They're just having business but not fitting for providing services.

I will never recommend anybody to go with this company especially since one of the house appliances insurance company I had in my last apartment was a great one. Whenever I called, they come and fix the problem. They understand. This time, I paid all three years price ahead of time. I paid about more than a thousand dollars and I didn't even use my money. And now, I was just looking for a $200 fix and they were so reluctant to fix it so I am really frustrated about this company.

I have an older home and I said I'd better start looking into getting a home warranty because it was getting expensive having to fix repairs. I called Sears first and had a very bad experience with them. I canceled them within 30 days and decided to find a company that's gonna offer me a competitive rate and give me what I want. So, I did some research on the internet and found out about AFC Home Club. We looked at reviews and information online and they were the top five. I started doing comparative analysis based on the top three. I called a couple of them and got quotes. I like the fact that AFC was fair and mid-range in terms of price but they offered more repairs than others. They also included the whole house. I said that's pretty good and I can save money that way.

I submitted a claim when I noticed that my microwave was starting to have problems and it stopped working. I called on a weekend and they said that they were going to report it to have someone call me on a Monday. They did call me on Monday and said that they would have someone come and look at my microwave within a couple of days. We started having some scheduling issues in terms of having them come. It took a couple of days from my initial call to get the repair person to call me back. He said he was gonna come and repair the microwave. He showed up in a Mercedes and said that there was gonna be a deposit, which I understood, and that he's gonna need to order a part for this microwave.

I asked for an estimate of the cost and he said it's gonna be between $250 to $275. I said that was not a problem because it’s covered. He then left. Then, I got a call from the company and they said it was gonna cost more because I was then in my first 60 days. The first 30 days, I understood I'm not gonna get any coverage but they have an additional one that they said I have to comply with, which means I have to pay $150 in addition to the $60. I got really upset about that. I said “Nobody told me.” He said it's in my policy. Also, the cost that the guy was giving me was more than my microwave.

The first person I spoke to was rude and said that's the way it was. I would have waited or would have figured something out. So I called back and told them I was very upset and that I don't want the repairman to come because that was gonna cost me so much. The lady said I can decline it and then call them back after the 30 days. But she doesn't understand that he's got my money and he's not gonna return it. I said I wanted to speak to a manager so, she put me on hold. Then she said that the manager was not available and they'll have her call me but she never did. I went and called back the third time and I spoke to someone. The lady asked what I wanted to do and I said I have to have the guy come and that I have to pay the $150. I felt like I was trapped.

The guy showed up this time in a work truck. I have had people come and repair my appliances and they're with their uniform but this guy looked like he was just walking off the street. I thought that’s unprofessional. Anyway, he came in, spent about an hour and a half and fixed my microwave. I wrote him a check for $150 and he went along his way.

From the time that I initially called till the guy came in and fixed it, it took about two. I liked the customer service initially. They're very helpful and good to me when I signed up. But I didn't like the call leading up to the repair. There were one or two calls I felt were rude. It was my first time and thought that it could be a fluke and the next time will be good. But that burnt me a little bit when that happened. Also, no one ever called me back to follow-up on what had happened and it would be nice if they know about it.

Repair person was excellent. American First Choice wasn't. Thought I purchased a plan that covered my shower replacement parts, but turns out they only cover part of the repair. Also, did not cover all the cost to replace my garbage disposal. This is my first claim, but will not renew this contract. Probably would have paid the same ($375.00 bill) or less if I had called a local plumber.

America's 1st Choice Home Club

AFC is here to cover unforeseen mechanical breakdowns. We have a 30 day review period in which the member received all their club benefits along with the membership guidelines. This members unit failed less than 4 days into trial membership with us. The coils were rotted and the entire unit needed to be replaced. Rotting of coils takes longer than 4 days to occur therefore this is something that was going on well before his activation with us. Instead we gave the maximum goodwill available since this was truly going on before Mr. Asimus was a member with us.

Once you are an active member all normal limits apply. Hopefully, this cleared up any confusion that may have been going on, this member is now a full and active member has been for some time now and full limits do apply, thank you for your time.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I had a home warranty with another company, and when it was up for renewal, I switched to AFC Home Club for their price and what they offered. Claim submission is easier to call in as their dot com side of it is not very robust. I called in for my claim for an air conditioning unit, and then the contractor came within a couple of days. It turned out that the air conditioning compressor was bad. But when I signed up for this warranty company, I had a different warranty company, and they basically said when I signed up, that I could have no claims for 30 days.

So in December, I let my two companies stay at the same time. So at least if I had a claim in December, I could still use my old warranty company, because I had to wait 30 days to be able to use AFC Home. But then, the small print showed that I really have to wait 60 days. Plus, there's a $150 limit on anything within the first 60 days. If I knew that upfront, I would have signed up 60 days earlier as opposed to 30 days. Because I had to wait 60 days, the maximum claim I could have was $150. And when I had the air conditioning repaired, it was going to cost $3,000.

I found that they weren't very upfront. Their whole contract is all written for them to get out of paying. The techs weren't the most professional ones to come out, but they were okay. If I was going to get covered in the insurance policy, I would have stayed with that technician. But as soon as they told me that they weren't going to cover, I basically told them I'm not going to give them the business to tell me that I'm not going to be covered. Then I went out and found someone else.

America’s 1st Choice Home Club offered a few more options and it was more affordable. Submitting a claim with them was great and we’ve only had one call. The claims rep took care of things quickly and my interactions with their technician was very professional. All in all, it was a good experience.

AFC Home Club's contract is written one way and they do honor what they write. But, I have to be a lawyer to understand its content because there are exclusions and exclusions are what kill you. If I don't understand that or read up on it, then they'll deny the claim. But submitting a claim is simple. I call the 800 number and tell them what's wrong. A lot of times they'll want to know the model number or the serial number of the appliance failing. It would take about 48 hours to get any results as far as getting a vendor to come. A complaint I have is the weekend. If something happens after working hours on Friday, I could call in but it's an answering service. They'll take my information down and they'll get back to me on Monday. I have to wait 60 hours before they even start processing the claim.

The other complaint I have is when I did get my claim processed, the service provider that was going look at my appliance did not get the email from AFC. Without the email or fax, there is no service provider. They're not even going to talk to me unless I pay for it upfront and then I try to get my money from them, which I don't want to be a bank. Then when I call back, they have to ask me to rewrite the whole thing to send in their system, but getting that document sent to the third party service provider, they have to fill out a new one every time. Finally, I told AFC to send it to me so I could send it to the service provider because they weren't getting the e-mail. Now I have control with the communication versus relying on somebody. Other than that, the technicians they sent were all great! They're the same people that always come.

I'm not happy with America's First Choice Home Club and that's the reason I'm trying to leave them. When they first asked me to sign up with them, they made it sound like they cover this, they cover that. But the minute I'm in it, when something breaks, "Oh, that's not part of the warranty. Oh, that's not covered." And it just becomes a big lie. Other companies don't even question. They come, send their technician over, and handle it. When I'd get online or call AFC, it takes forever for somebody to call me back. Our washer would be down for two weeks.

I'm still waiting to receive a check from AFC and my experience has been awful. I raised a claim for a water heater and the girl that I talked to said that it had to do with plumbing. Clearly, she didn’t know what she was talking about. I was put on hold all the time. I never actually got to speak with a person that was in charge of the claim. And getting calls returned has been a problem. The technicians didn't fix the problem, and there was water going everywhere. My husband had to call and get someone in before it did any further damage.

America's 1st Choice Home Club

We have spoken with the member and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused him. Per his technician, the home had cracked and rusting piping. Unfortunately being in the membership only 3 months these pipes were faulty before even moving in, we are fully aware that he was unaware of the homes serious plumbing issues and we did refer him to the inspector or home insurance company. The membership helps with anything that happens in the home after it is activated. We did pay $250.00 to fix the drywall which is out allotment and we have also waived his next service call fee. I want to thank him for taking the time to talk with us and I look forward to servicing him in the future.

Original review: March 19, 2017

AFC Home Club was recommended to us. It was one of the companies that had good reviews when I bought our house in October. However, I don't have good things to say about them. We had a big problem with the pipes in our house. As soon as we moved in, there were cracks along the pipe in the bathroom, so we had to rip off the walls. I sent emails with pictures and so far, that’s the only claim we've had to make with AFC. They sent a tech to check out the problem, and he said, "Oh, yeah. We gotta go into the wall." I paid him $60, but he never came back. So, I called AFC and told them, "I can't get a hold of the guy that you've hired to send out." They got a hold of the tech, but finally they said that he won't come or can't do it and they just left it at that. So I'm out the $60 I paid for the tech to inspect the problem. It was frustrating.

But I still had to fix the plumbing problem because I couldn't use the bathroom. So, I called AFC and asked them if they would cover the cost if I have the pipes repaired. It would have been nice to know exactly what they would cover and what they wouldn't. But it's not like they would give me a straight answer. They just said, "Well, you can send us the bill, and then we can look at the receipt and see what we'll cover." I'm like, "Well, that's helpful." So, I just went ahead and hoped that they would cover something.

The bill ended up being about $6,000. First, they were going to deny it completely and not send me any money. They said, "That's a home insurance policy claim." I said, "I still had to repair all the pipes. Listen, you guys gotta do something. At least, live up to some part of your word." So, in the end, they sent me an email that said, "We'll send $250." I'm like, "Okay, fine." At least, they'll send me $250, which will pay for 148th of the repair cost. I didn't want to get into an argument anymore and I didn't feel like digging in any further or making an ordeal about it. It was not a fun experience.

I wish that they would have lived up to their end. When I'm reading the coverage plan, it looks like they should cover fixing all the pipes. I understand that the policy says that they won't go through walls. But after I already had all the walls ripped off, and the walls were unobstructed, they still wouldn't cover any of the pipes and fix the plumbing, and that's weird. The plan says they wouldn't cover cast iron pipes, but our pipes are not cast iron. What they won't cover are the small, galvanized pipes that obviously weren't what our pipes were. So clearly, they should have covered the pipes, but they didn't.

The claims process was the other problem. The reps were uncommunicative. No one would get back to me. They didn't even tell me what happened to the tech that they hired to come out but didn’t come back, so I had to call them. When they were trying to deny my claim completely, they wouldn't even talk about it, so that was a little difficult. And when I had the plumbing repaired and I was trying to get them to tell me what they would cover, they wouldn't do it. But it's not like they're rude. They're pleasant people and their demeanor is not bad. They were just unresponsive. I would rather that they just give me my money back and cancel the policy. It’s pointless to have the policy. Just make sure what and when they will cover, as it seems like they try to get out of covering anything. So, know what you’re buying.

A lot of my appliances were beginning to fail and I felt like I was spending a lot of money out of pocket for repairs. I was searching for a warranty company and AFC Home Club covered more services for a lower cost than the others. And so far, it has been good with them. I only made one claim and it was easy to file. I made a phone call and spoke with a representative. I told them what the problem was and they gave me a claim number. Once they contacted their service provider, their service provider called me to schedule an appointment. The claims rep was pleasant and the tech who came out was professional. However, it seems like they are growing and sometimes they have problems with staffing levels.

I’ve put two claims for two items with America’s First and I sent the pay receipts on January 6, 2017 as they were all accounts payable. They told me it was going to take four to six weeks before I could get a check but it’s been a little over two months and I still have not received the checks for the refund. I thought I had a different type of plan with them which was not the deductible one and that they can replace items. For example, my refrigerator broke and I tried to work with the technician. But they still have not worked it out yet and it’s been over two months that we have not had a freezer in our house.

America’s First sent somebody out three times. The first technician said that the fan was working okay and everything was fine except for needed to change the icing and the compressor. $1200 later, he came back again and said the fan was still working properly. He changed the icing kit and the compressor and when he was doing the work, he said the fan was not working. I asked what was going on as he told us twice that the fan was working properly, and he said that something else broke. More warranty charge means more money and he played with it.

He called the company and was there in my house for another half an hour. There was a little drop of ice in the fan that was not letting it work properly. But I got it working out and everything should be fine. But a day later, it was still not making ice and was not cool enough after he replaced the icing kit and the compressor. They’re coming this Thursday and they said that if there’s another item, I’m going to have to pay them $70 plus whatever the part they have to replace. America’s First also only gave me $250 for an $8000 refrigerator and I’m not happy. The technician told me that I should be getting a different company because America’s First should be covering all the part but it's not covering enough.

I talked to Vernice from customer service at the home warranty company before they even replaced the parts because the technician was giving me only 90 days for the warranty for their parts and labor. I asked her why I should spend $1200 for 90 days of warranty. The parts could break down on the 95th day and I’m going to be $1200 out. She told me she would call and check with GE. She was told by GE customer service that the parts have a one-year warranty but I needed to raise all the parts with GE so they could start counting the year and warranty. I talked to the technician and his company asking for the information to be able to raise all those parts that I got replaced but they said they didn't have the information and they can't do anything. I called Vernice back and she said she didn't remember telling me about talking with GE with regards to warranty. That’s how bad they are and I'm pissed with the company.

The other items that I have not been paid $300 for are the garbage disposal and the dishwasher. They want to continue making me pay for one year premium and then they'll send me that $1500 back. But once I get the check, I want to cancel their home warranty. It’s the worst one I’ve ever had. It's been very frustrating and has been a very bad experience so far.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Profile