America's 1st Choice Home Club

America's 1st Choice Home Club

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I bought a home, moved into it and wanted something better than the home warranty company I had. I did a Google search and AFC had the best reviews. When I submitted a claim with them, it went smooth and the rep had it pushed through pretty quickly. The tech who came was a local company that I used a few times directly on my other needs. He was excellent.

I've always had a home warranty, but I never liked American Home Shield. I fired them and terminated their service years ago. AFC is certified and approved, and they're endorsed by the Better Business Bureau. They've been very professional, courteous and fast each time I submit a claim. They explain everything very well. A technician comes in within a couple of days and depending on my schedule, but they’re normally readily available within 24 to 48 hours. They’re very patient.

Overall AFC has been excellent because I bought this house April 1st, 2013, built from the ground up and they built the house so fast that I didn’t think I could’ve sued them for negligence. I made up my mind that whatever I replace, it would be top quality and it’d be a top-quality company that would install it. I've replaced four things so far, including the sump pump, but it wasn’t under the warranty so I had to pay by my own pocket. When January comes, I can renew my contract and I’m gonna add some more things on it. I've told my church about AFC, so I’ve been advertising for their company because I had good experiences.

I am not one to normally write reviews. I am a simple person who just wants to get what they pay for and I believe in Karma. I needed to tell other about this company so they too can experience what it is like to have someone stand up to their word, which is not normal these days. I called AFC about 2pm when it got real hot here about a week ago. My house was 79 degrees and my pregnant wife was about to have a fit. They had the tech at my door within 3 hours, be it this was a heat wave and he was still there that day! He was working on the unit for about 2 hours and it ended up needed quite the repair, when all was said and done what was asked of me? NOTHING ALL I PAID WAS $60.00 deductible and he was on his way. I couldn't believe how simple it really was. (Guess I am a skeptic.) I would highly recommend them to anyone I know, my house has been cool since.

Garage door opener replacement. Customer service was quick to respond and contact door company. Doorco called right away and set appointment for next day. Replacement done next business day. Tech was polite and professional.

Factual basis uncertain

The policy is rigged to pay nothing for most people. You might luck out and have an early repair, but the timelines are set so that for most people, about the time you actually need the warranty, it will not cover anything. Further, there are tricks like you have to submit annual checkups on your AC. They really do not stress the things that count in evaluating their policy. Further, when you find out it is a scam, they give you virtually nothing back on their policy. On the last repair, they did not even bother to return either of my phone calls.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Factual basis uncertain

Bought the warranty policy Feb. 2016. Did not have claim til 10/28/16. Had warranty before which was a really good company but AFC was a problem, everything was too old to cover or paid minimum of coverage. It was terrible experience and when they said they would call back, never did. Had to always call them back myself. Would never use a warranty again. YUK.

I looked at AFC Home Club's pricing, what benefits they had, and what was covered. I like what I saw, gave them a try, and so far I've been very happy with them. I used them for a service call for the toilet and had a pleasant plumber go to my house. However, I also had a concern with the water heater, which makes two separate work orders and two different service fees. When the plumber was here, it took him three minutes to fix the toilet. Why can't I get him to do the water heater, too? If AFC could do that, it would be a big improvement for the warranty.

I was doing research to replace another home warranty company that we had and liked AFC's features the best. AFC allowed me to stay with providers that I already had a history with. With the exception of my stove guy, I have known only other two contractors that I had an issue with. I also love the fact that once I pay for something to be serviced, I don't pay for that service again. I've had three claims and two of them went super smooth. However in the other claim, there was some miscommunication with the call center, but they were quick to remedy it once I had pointed it out to them. Other than that, I've had a great experience and I was very happy with the service from AFC Home Club. They are a great company to work with.

Factual basis uncertain

I made a claim on 11/4/16 then I was referred to a technician, Frank Appliance, I paid for service co-pay $60 on 11/9 then couple days later technician called. Then ONLY THEN I was notified that my contract expired! Now I need to wait 30 days to have my stove repair. And I'll need to pay $60 co-pay again! I would have appreciated a notice and/or like all of my other insurance just keep withdrawing monthly payment and renew policy! But of course I always received new policy in mail. (:

My rental properties were duplex and the home warranty had increased its price. So I shopped around and saw AFC Home Club which had a reasonable price. But when they fixed or replaced a toilet, I maxed out on it. It cost $560 but they only covered $500 which was a bit limiting compared to Home Warranty of America which I have for my other property. Another thing is that I wasn't aware that they have a very low cap per year on what they cover compared to HWA. For example, in plumbing, I was maxed out at $500 a year so I can't use it for plumbing anymore. I won't recommend AFC Home Club. The company looks good on paper but has a lot of limitations.

Factual basis uncertain

I did research when I was buying a new home to see how I wanted my seller’s money to be spent on my home warranty and found America's 1st Choice Home Club. I had a couple of issues with my swimming pool and did not recall that there was a 30-day wait, during which problems with the home will not be covered by the home warranty. I probably should have known that but I didn't. My local pool guy told me that I might want to consider having him do it but turned it into my home warranty. It turns out that I could have had him fix it for far less than I ended up paying myself for the repair through the home warranty. It was not a positive experience.

I was promised callbacks that never happened. I was told inaccurate information about what my liability would be. After being very, very adamant that I wanted to make sure I understood exactly what my out-of-pocket cost would be, it mushroomed by a factor of 50 percent. If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't go with America's 1st Choice Home Club. Their level of service would drive me in another direction.

Factual basis uncertain

AFC Home Club was the first that came up when we looked into getting a home warranty. Submitting a claim wasn't really hard but because it's a warranty, I was expecting that if one of my appliances broke down and we put a claim, they’re gonna replace it. But for the dishwasher, they just gave us $100 since it’s an old model. What happens if my oven breaks down? Are they just going to give me $100 because it’s old? What if I buy a new house again or move to another house and I didn’t know how old the appliances are? They used some technical terms that I didn’t care about because warranty is warranty.

Factual basis uncertain

Your conditions on not covering an older unit wasn't told to me at the time of sale. Not only wasn't it told to me but when I called sales again later on they still were telling me that it didn't matter how old the unit was. I had coverage for many years by others, never heard of such a rule.

Factual basis uncertain

Do NOT use this company. They are horrible. They are NOT an appliance insurance company. They are some kind of home club. They will deny every claim (repairing nothing). They just want to pay you out what they think the value of the appliance is and it will be nowhere near what it will cost you to repair or replace. They will take your money and you are left with a false sense of security. You WILL be stuck with the large repair bill. So keep your money.

We got AFC Home Club due to its cost and what was all included with it. Their claims representatives were friendly and helpful. We live out in the middle of nowhere, so it was hard to find somebody that would come out. When our freezer was not cooling and the fridge cut off too, I had to unplug it and it took everything out. When the technician came, he plugged it back in and it started working. He also pulled a piece off, which they had to replace at their expense. My stuff in the freezer was still soft so they came back out.

However, the freezer was not working still, so my husband called them again and they sent out a senior technician. When he came out, he asked how many times had the refrigerator been cleaned. He said sometimes we have to clean underneath and vacuum all the dog hairs and dust out because they suffocate the fridge. We did that and it's doing better, but we're still having problems with the freezer. They came out four times and it's still not fixed. Other than that, submitting claims had been fine. They took care of what needed to happen.

Factual basis uncertain

The first claim we ever made with AFC Home Club was when our washer broke down and it took exactly three weeks to get it repaired. When I called in, they said that they'll call somebody, but I waited a day and nobody called. So I called them back, and they said they sent the order. I then called their company, but they said they didn't receive it. It was running around like that and it took the first week just to get a repair guy come over. Then it took another week to order it and then another week to repair it. It wasn't very efficient. I couldn't get the good price and I also didn't get any phone call. I got a thank you card from the repairman but not from the home warranty company.

Factual basis uncertain

Problems started at the beginning. I paid for my warranty and never received a contract until I complained multiple times. I had a claim in Aug 2016 that I still have not received reimbursement for. I continue to get the runaround about this. The water heater was a big battle. The website clearly states that the water heater is covered. 1st it is on the manager's desk for review, then I get no feedback. I have called numerous times and spoken to different people almost every time. There is no consistence and no one calls back. I could go on and on, but instead I plan to file a grievance with the Better Business Bureau.

I wasn’t happy with another home warranty club we had, so I looked up AFC online and went with them. The people at AFC were nice to work with and friendly on the phone. We haven’t had claims for 20 years but three months ago our four-year-old garage door opener broke and instead of repairing it, AFC replaced it which was very good. We were very happy with that one. However, we were a little disappointed when we filed a claim for our air-conditioner. It was so old and had to be replaced because the repairs were going to be $500, and they said that if we had it repaired they would only pay $200 of it and then it wouldn’t be covered anymore since it’s too old. We had to replace the whole thing, which cost us almost $9,000, and all we got was a check for $200 to go towards it. Also, it took over a month to get the $200 check. In fact, I just got it a couple of days ago after I called.

Bu to me, it’s still worth having the policy, however my husband says that he doesn’t think we should even have it. Our washer and dryer is 15 years old. They run perfectly, and we have never had one bit of trouble with them, but I’m afraid they’re going to go out. My husband said why would we have insurance if they are going to go strictly by age of the appliance and won't give us anything.

We purchased a house and the people who we purchased it from were giving us a home warranty for a year. We looked through different choices and went with AFC Home Club. The first time I submitted a claim, the person got back to me in a relatively quick and decent time for the problem that was going on. However, the second time was an emergency and it took them a full 12 hours to get back to me and I'd already fixed it by then. I had no water at my house and they called back and said that they weren't responsible for that.

I had looked at the options for a home warranty and AFC Home Club seemed like the best company based off of their reviews. When I submitted a claim for my washer from Sears, they didn’t have anybody in my area and Sears doesn't participate in their plan but they said I could call Sears right on my own, which is what I did. Both their claims rep and the Sears employee were friendly and courteous. I had no problems with the experience.

I had been with another company for 14 years and I wanted to change. I looked at a website listing the top ten home warranty companies and AFC Home Club ranked number two. Submitting in a claim with them was okay and a little difficult the first time. I asked about their service providers and then they told me that if I had one that I have used in the past, I can choose to use them again. When I had an issue with my pool and I've been dealing with this guy for a number of years and I said I'd like to use him if I can. They said, "Well, we can contact them and see if they want to work with us or you can just use them and pay them and then we'll reimburse you." I said I don't want to do that. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the insurance.

So they contacted the company that I wanted in the first place and they worked it out. I dealt with the provider I wanted and that made me happy, but it took longer to get the fix than I thought it should. It took three days and it was weird. AFC also worked out a deal where they paid the contractor directly and I just paid my $60. However, the person I talked to wasn't the friendliest person in the world, but other than that, the service was fine.

Factual basis uncertain

I have a hard time reaching a representative to file a claim or to follow up with the claim. No one calls me back after I left 5 messages. My air conditioner broke down on a hot summer day, AFC did not provide any expedite service. After a week, AFC told me they can only cover $200 for replacing my air conditioner.

We had a home warranty when we bought our home and we weren't really impressed with them. I kept on looking around for somebody that was reputable and we found AFC Home Club. The gentleman that I spoke to about it was reassuring about how the program works and knew what he was talking about. However, I'm not that impressed with them when we had a problem with our heating and we had to pay extra. It took them four days to contact us and it was super cold and we couldn’t get in contact with anyone so we had to pay for it ourselves. We had all the documentation to cover it and they only gave us $100 worth of the actual total repair cost which ended up $300.

We take care of our stuff. We have maintenance for four times a year the guys come out and they check everything and make sure everything is in good condition. So we were shocked when we had all the proof and they didn’t help us out at all. That incident was only a holdback and we were a little disappointed with that. But they do a good job, and we re-upped with them for another year.

I called AFC Home Club and told them what was wrong. They sent me the replacement part that was needed but they told me that I had to get my own person to do the installation. That’s the only thing that I didn’t like about them.

I purchased a used home and a home warranty was not included in the purchase, so we thought we should get one. I looked at the comments from people who had used AFC and they seem favorable. We got them then I've submitted two claims. I have two homes, one in Tennessee and one in Michigan. For the first claim, it took two and a half weeks for someone to call us back for a date for service. We needed the appliance so I had to go out and pay for the service on my own. The second experience was in our home in Northern Michigan and within 24 hours someone called. I'm not sure if the markets are different in Michigan and in Tennessee, but I was very unhappy the first time around. I'm certain I won't use them again based on my first experience.

I liked AFC Home Club's price. However, when we had a problem with our oven and we submitted a claim, it took over two weeks for it to get resolved. I wasn't really thrilled at the speed of the response. They got somebody out within a couple of days, but then she had to get authorization for parts. The claims reps were okay, but I did have some concerns. When I described the problem, the first thing the representative told me was that she didn't think that it would be covered and I had to get her through some hoops to actually get them to cover it. I wasn't very happy about that.

Factual basis uncertain

My experience with America's 1st Choice Home Club was terrible. Every time I file a claim, I couldn't speak to a representative. It's the answering service that takes down my name, but I don't hear from them. I have been calling them numerous times, left message five or six, they never call me back. When my air conditioning broke, I called and called and didn't hear from them until a week after a technician came and checked the problem. They tried to fix it, but it turns out they couldn't and they said that it has to be replaced. Then after another five days they said they’d write me back and saying, "Well your air conditioning is old, so we cannot replace that. We can only pay you $200." I thought that the whole idea of having a home insurance was when something breaks down, you get it replaced. I paid $1,000 to replace the air conditioning unit and sent them the receipt, they won't reply to me.

At the time when I signed up, I kept asking them, "Are you sure you're going to replace it. Because it's expensive. How could you replace it? You haven’t come to see it." They lied, cheated and tried to get away. I want to cancel my membership. I couldn’t pay for a three-year contract. I want to get out, but they're not replying. I called the department 10 times about cancellation. Five days has passed, they never get back to me. Moreover, sometimes it's so hot during summer and I couldn’t bear it and I need somebody to come fix the problem. They don’t. If I don’t have this contract, I would just call like a technician in the neighborhood to fix it. But now since I've already paid $100 a premium, I need to talk with them. So I'm getting out of it.

Factual basis uncertain

While it may be unfair to blame AFC, they did use a unreliable vendor and they do have long wait times to get to a rep, even if you already have an account. My vendor did not show up as promised and never called back after many attempts. Even AFC called them and they promised to call me but never did. I had to wait the weekend and I still have not had a visit though one is promised (Again!).

I called America's 1st Choice for a claim and they verified my information and hooked me up with somebody who came to fix it. It was a very easy process. The technician was great and very professional and he explained a lot of stuff to me, what he did, what needed to be done, that it's just a simple issue, nothing major. However, I don't know the turnaround time but it took almost a week to get my heater fixed. The other thing is they will not be able to service the heater again if anything was to happen in the future. They said it's because the unit is an older model. If that's the case then I'm definitely not going to go with them next year.

I saw online that AFC Home Club was rated high and that’s the main reason I went with them. But it's been a horrible experience. They promise everything but when some issue happens, they dig into everything and it goes on and on for weeks before I can get something fixed. For example I had an AC that broke down and they decided they wanted to see the maintenance history. So we sent everything over and they were just trying to deny the service every way they could. And it's not only once, it has happened multiple times. When I submit something via email, they take forever to return my call. At first it took them three days to get back and then with the air condition being down during the Texas heat, they just didn't even bother. They didn't do the work and just denied everything. All the blame was put back on me as a consumer. They just try to avoid paying any expense at all. We ended up canceling and getting out of their service.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Profile