3.9/5 (134 ratings)
Service fee
$75, $100 or $125
View Plan

About America's 1st Choice Home Club

America's 1st Choice Home Club provides cost-effective, extended home protection plans to homeowners looking to protect themselves against the unforeseen expenses of home upkeep and repair. With four plans to fit your budget and needs, and a 24/7 claims center, AFC Home Club has you covered.

Pros

• Flexible service call fee
    • Choose your own service technician
    • Longest labor guarantee

Cons

• Not available in four states

Bottom Line

America’s 1st Choice Home Club offers a wide range of coverage with multiple plans available. While some coverage caps are limited, their coverage variety and flexible service call fee make them stand out.

America's 1st Choice Home Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about America's 1st Choice Home Club?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFC Home Club?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

We've had various problems and America's 1st Choice has helped us out. We've been with them for about three years and the experience has been good. Submitting a claim goes pretty quickly. When we call in, it's within the same day that we find out who the person is going to be to fix us or to come and see what the problem is. I'd tell others to go for America's 1st Choice.

Mary,

We will always be here to help. Thank you for being a valued member and recommending us to others!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

When I found AFC, I talked to a representative on the phone for a while and he said that I can always use my own outside technician. I wouldn't need to have it pre-approved. When one of our main line plumbing lines was clogged and I couldn't get something pre-approved, I had to call a plumber right away. So I called the plumber, and I had them come in the middle of the night to do work. The next day, I submitted my claim and AFC took care of it in less than a day.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

We are thrilled to hear your issue was resolved quickly. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

I had an electrical issue. After the phone call, within a couple of days, America’s 1st Choice Home Club had scheduled me for an appointment. They picked an electrician. They sent somebody out. He thought he resolved the problem but he didn't. So, I called back and America’s 1st Choice Home Club sent the same company, just a different electrician out. And he resolved the issue.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

We liked America's 1st Choice's pricing model and what they covered and talking to them on the phone, we also liked the customer service. It was a gut feeling. We felt like they were a good fit for us. The price wasn't so high that we felt like it wasn't a huge risk either. It really came down to, "Hey, we can sign up for this for three years. If we use it, great. If we don't, no harm, no foul. Lesson learned."

We've submitted two claims so far. Unfortunately, both claims happened in emergency situations. One was on a holiday for an oven. It went out the day before Thanksgiving and we ended up purchasing a new oven and working with them on the back end to get it reimbursed. Now, it didn't cover the whole thing. It was an older range unit and we didn't have any repair tech come out. So, it was a unique opportunity, but it did help offset the cost there.

The second claim was for a heating and cooling issue. We came home one Sunday afternoon, it was about 100 degrees and it was noticeable that the air conditioning wasn't working. The company that does our annual maintenance on it has 24-hour service. They came out and fixed it. We submitted the claim the next day with the Home Club, and they worked out with the heating and cooling company and got us reimbursed for a control board that needed to be replaced. So, it's been an overall very efficient and successful relationship so far. I feel like we're getting exactly what we paid for. We're getting exactly what we are hoping, too.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

We allow our members to use their own licensed and insured technicians at any time. Thank you for sharing your feedback!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

When we call America's 1st Choice or send an email, they were pretty quick but the problem is they've put it into an email-type thing and I'm not exactly sure how to get it from them. It supposedly is very easy to get to it. Other than that, the technicians haven't been a problem at all. They're very good.

Hello Gerald,

You can retrieve your electronic check with your email however we do offer the option to send a paper check for reimbursement if you prefer. Thank you for being a loyal AFC member!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

So far, everything has been great with America's 1st Choice. I did a plumbing claim and I called them. Somebody got out here fairly quickly. They guy was nice. I didn't have any issues with them. They even have to come back a second time. They were apologetic about it.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Tameka, we are happy to hear your plumbing issue is resolved. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

America's 1st Choice seemed to have the best reviews. Their application process was super easy. I've been with them for a few years now. They arrange people to come out. It takes all that headaches out. In August, my dryer blew up, and they took care of that.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

Tom, thank you for being a long-time valued member. We will continue to be here for you when you need us!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

When we submit a claim to America's 1st Choice, they usually call in about a day to follow up. We've had three claims at this point, and each time, they kind of follow up throughout the process. Usually a couple of days before this is supposed to happen, and then they also follow up after the technician’s been to the house to make sure that we're happy with the service. We've been really happy with those that we've had thus far. We've gone with whichever ones they've recommended, and we've had no complaints.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

We are thrilled to hear you're happy with our service! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

So far, everything's been going fine with America's 1st Choice. We just had somebody come out and do some service on our air conditioner. The tech was very friendly, and came out very quickly, which was a lot sooner than I expected. We're overall happy with him fixing the problem that we had at the time.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

We will always be here for you when you need us! Thank you for sharing your experience!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

We went online and looked at the most favorable to look at, saw what we needed, and that's why we turned to America’s 1st Choice. I called and asked the questions. So far, we had a situation where we wanted to have our own contractor. We have a bit of a miscommunication, but we talked it out. We were allowed to retain it, and we had great service. We're pleased because we have people we can talk to. And if we needed to talk to somebody or get resolution, so far, it’s currently with the air conditioner, we've been able to get issues resolved. People were very professional. They listened. They went back to get help because they couldn't answer. And in the end, there was a resolution. Fortunately for us, it was a resolution in our favor to keep our contractor that had been doing the work.

Hello Gary,

We take pride in our customer service and are happy to hear you're pleased with our services. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

Every time we submitted a claim, it was like pulling teeth to try and get the money. We tried it a few different ways. We have the option to choose our own service provider or go with someone that America's 1st Choice recommend. Whenever we chose someone that we wanted to go with, it was difficult because the people would not always want to have a full conversation with America's 1st Choice people. So, thought we’d try the other way. But the people that got sent out didn't feel like they were of the highest quality. So, that was why we decided to just stop and deal with it on our own.

Also, the contractors weren't that interested in being helpful. It was obvious that they probably weren't getting a lot of money on these service calls. So, they'd do anything to get out of it or say it wasn't covered or it was someone else's problem. We've had a few different home warranties. And that seems to be the case across the board. Nobody wants to do anything. And it just seems like they're getting such little money on the call-outs that they're not incentivized to do anything. Save your money and just put some money every month in a little fund yourself. And if something goes wrong, call your own personnel.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I'm not always pleased with the process of submitting a claim, but it works. This last time did not go so smoothly. But I submit a claim and I can do it online or by telephone. Sometimes the representative is helpful, and sometimes they're cumbersome. I had an issue with my HVAC system. And they wanted me to go outside and find the serial number of the unit before they would take care of the claim. That's crazy. I am not going to do that. The repair person who came out eventually provided that for me. It was annoying that they held up the claim until I had to argue with them about that.

It's worth having a home warranty service. And America's 1st Choice Home Club is a good company to use. Not every company is going to give you exactly what you want all the time. But this one has taken care of the problems that I've had thus far except for one, which they should not have done. I read the details in the contract, tried to discuss it with the representative, but got nowhere.

America's 1st Choice Home Club response

We appreciate the feedback. Thank you

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

This company is fraudulent. I just reported them to the Department of Insurance out of the state that I live in. I have had many invoice sent to them and they cover very little. I was signed up for the platinum service which I think means they do nothing. Well if you have issues with AFC Home Club you should log a complaint with your state Department of Insurance. If you are thinking about doing business with this company. Just to let you know they do business through calls only for no communicating paper-trail.

They have hidden terms and conditions that are not found anywhere on their website and you do not get a copy of those hidden term. They are not found on your contract. They are quoted to you on a call and not in writing. I tried to cancel this service and get reimbursed after my first call. After my second and their was also not handled as outlined in my contract I decide to take this up with the state to see if they can help me. All this company need to do is honor their contract of just reimburse me what was paid for the service. My first call was in Feb and it still has not been resulted to my satisfaction.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I had another home warranty service but did not like their services. I went with AFC, and I've been with them ever since. Their contractors are very professional.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

I like the flexibility of being able to choose my own contractor with AFC. This other company sends out who they want and a lot of times, those guys don't care. The benefit of being able to choose your own contractor makes a big difference. The times that I've called AFC, no one has ever been rude. Everything has been good.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I had a good experience with America's 1st Choice. I had a claim regarding the AC unit and I had a bit of trouble in the beginning because they said they didn't have any available technicians and my initial claim didn't go through. So I had to call back again. But that was the only issue that I had. After that, getting the claim paid out and resolved was fine. They said I could find a technician on my own and then I can work with them to get reimbursement. When the technician was here, I was asked to call them to relay the diagnosis. That went smoothly. America's 1st was easy to work with and they were responsive.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

I am so sorry that I entered into a three-year agreement. America's 1st Choice Home Club is horrible. They nickel-and-dime the customer. When I filed a claim for a repair, a man showed up to do the repair and told me I had to pay him. He was working on an HVAC. He had to call in and the home warranty gave him permission. He did the repairs and told them the unit needed refrigerant. He charged $100 per pound. He then had to call them back and ask if they would cover the refrigerant. They cover the refrigerant at $25. I had to pay an additional $75. They’ve already gotten $1,300 from me because I pay $100 a month for this alleged Platinum plan. That was my first experience contacting them.

The second experience was a plumbing issue. There was a leak. The guy came out and he repaired it. Then my dryer died. It was 15 years old. A technician came out and assessed the issue. He said the motherboard was totally inoperable. They told me they were only going to give me $400 on a new dryer. The dryer I had cost $1,200 and it lasted 15 years. I'm gonna at least get a $1,200 dryer that I know can last 15 years. When this is over, I will never use this company again. It's a rip-off. They won't replace anything.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

Each time I’ve called AFC, they’ve been extremely helpful. They weeded through the bad apples and shed them. Kayla and Karen followed through and got everything fixed. Don’s Appliance was scheduled. They came out with the right part, weren’t here 30 minutes, and were done. AFC has been reasonable. There are times when the vendor that they want to use refuses to show up because we live out in a rural area. AFC would tell me to do it myself if I could. An example is the water heater. AFC told me to send them the receipt. They cut me a check and had it in the mail. But I wish they would work more with the local businesses. Brenham, Texas is a small town. I wish AFC wasn't so heavily dependent on Houston people and spread the money around to the more rural areas.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

I was hoping for a different type of warranty company after 35 years of dealing with various ones. Nope, this isn't it. Salesman said all kinds of wonderful, unique things. Here are 2 examples: you could call your own contractor and then submit the bill to be paid and if they needed to get into a wall they would refinish it to a rough finish so all you needed to do was paint. There were many more things said like this. When the actual contract comes, NOPE, nothing like that in the contract. Furthermore there are just weird things like coverage for days 31-60 are only covered for $150. What? Never seen anything like that. Salesman also said there was no limit on AC repairs/replacement like other companies. So contract says they will prorate the life of your unit. Read Consumer Affairs reviews.... Some people only got paid $200 or were told they did not maintain their unit, etc et. This is just another scam and I am really pissed that I even wasted my time.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I called America's 1st Choice up and talked to someone. They were honest and fair with me. I had the package for a rental property that I have in Hammond, Louisiana, and then I got a package for my home here in Texas. I think they kind of got it crossed up a little bit. They've since settled that. As far as having to submit a claim, they ask you, "Was it properly maintained? How old is it? And what's the name of the product?" I'm used to those questions. If it's a real emergency and they can't get somebody out soon enough, I have the option to find someone myself and they'll reimburse me. All that works out pretty good.

Original review: July 27, 2022

When I used their customer service, like planning and getting my warranty, the team of America's 1st Choice was very helpful. They explained everything to me and were just personable. I had almost everything covered in my home for half the price that I was paying before. I had American Home Shield. Mine was 1,200 and something, and hers was 1,200 and something. When I transferred over to this one, I was able to get both of them for less than $1,000 for two.

Original review: July 26, 2022

My dryer was having issues. It turned out that the outlet failed and burned the plug on the dryer. So they replaced the dryer cord. The tech was very good. He didn't have a cord with him so he had to get it. That was understandable. He did that and put it on. It was good. I just had to call someone else to replace that plug. That was separate and that was claimable. I'm getting reimbursed for that. It's been a good experience with America's 1st Choice, so far. Worthy of re-upping.

Original review: July 25, 2022

I had a good experience recently when I had a leak. They also sent me the contract when I had our leak. I read through everything that it covered. I said, “I replaced my air conditioner and my heating last year. Can I get any type of reimbursement for that?” They said no because a year’s been gone by already. I replaced my hot water heater also in November and they said, “No, too much time has gone by. We can't give you anything.” I was disappointed. I know that I should have called them, but I didn't realize since I was a new customer and read the contract. I would have appreciated their manager contacting me and trying to work something out with me. But everything was fine with their submission process and overall customer service support.

Original review: July 3, 2022

I will be accurate and fair. Your company sucks. A/C broke and you wanted documents I couldn’t find. I have been paying for a policy with your company for a few years but I will cancel my policy as soon as your call center will answer their phone. Oh just in case you didn’t understand what I said in the first sentence, call me. I’ll bet happy to speak with someone. ** or **. I’m available 24/7. Shannon **

Original review: June 13, 2022

Bought a “home warranty“ for $550 and when I had a claim for A/C ($725 repair) they were gonna give me $100. Oh well. Lesson learned. There’s no such thing as a home warranty unless it’s from a builder in the first year. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: June 5, 2022

Took out the 3 year platinum membership, which I didn't use until about 2 years in. My central air conditioner quit, of course in the heat of the summer (I live in Arizona) and I called them about a repair. They claimed they couldn't find an account for me, even though I gave them about 4 different options to check. I hung up and called the refrigeration company I use to come and check it out. I decided to call AFC back, and this time they COULD find all my info(?). I explained I made an appointment for the following day, and she told me that was okay.

The unit was fixed, to the tune of $726. Submitted the bill and they told me I had to show proof that I kept up maintenance on the unit; so I sent them the invoice for that also. It turns out they were only willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars for the repair, because the unit was about 20 years old. I hit the ceiling, and she finally offered me half the cost of the repair, which I accepted (not happily). So obviously if your appliance is old, be prepared to get less than the repair amount.

I cancelled the balance of my contract. And by the way, they deduct the amount they sent me for the repair, so they told me I was entitled to $46 and change refund. And no, they couldn't send me a check, but had to put the amount back on my credit card (which I don't have anymore because a new bank took it over). So it's been weeks and I'm still waiting for the refund. Who knows?

Original review: May 10, 2022

In general, it took too long to get a service provider to come to repair. From submitting a service request to completion, it took 1 week or more. In the future, I may get a local vendor and then get reimbursed… The overall service is acceptable.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Very prompt response. Explained process very well, and was very efficient. I experienced this on two separate claims. One with my own technician and one with AFC recommended technician. Both exceeded my expectation. I was thoroughly satisfied. I will definitely use AFC as my home warranty company in the future.

Hello Jan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We will be here for you when you need us!

Original review: May 1, 2022

My dishwasher was leaking. America's 1st Choice Home Club sent the tech out here. He determined it was one thing when it was not. But I just found out yesterday that it wasn't what he said. So, he came out here, diagnosed it, wrote up a work order, but never came back. Never contacted me. Just ghosted us. My dishwasher was repaired based off of what he said. I ended up having to get somebody else. AFC reimbursed me. But I don't even know that that person that came and fixed it looked at it. He just went based off of what I said somebody else said. And the people that came yesterday, it was something different. So whatever was replaced never needed to be replaced.

I don't know who AFC hired that they need to double check. Because I called this dude three times, messaged him, he never responded to me. They said that they were able to get ahold of him. But I said, “But I'm the customer. Why did he not call me back? Why did he not respond to my messages?” And they said, “He's gonna get back to you today.” But he never did. But for some reason, they were able to contact him, but I was not. I just said, “Forget it. I'm done. My dishwasher’s leaking. I need to get this fixed. So let me find somebody myself." Even that was a hassle. Because they issued me a check instead of having it directly deposited into my account. Because they charge you a fee. But AFC has been good in the past for other stuff.

Original review: April 27, 2022

AFC settled my request quickly. However I’m not sure how the company defines replacement. The amount determined to replace a microwave did compare to the actual amount it costs to replace. I think I would do better saving the $50 monthly payment and use my savings for household repairs. Thank you.

Mrs. Elizabeth,

We researched the unit in your home and were able to provide a comparable link. The amount given was the full cost minus a deductible on a new unit, if there is a discrepancy on your end or added information you can provide please feel free to reach out to us. Thank you for being a long-time member, we truly appreciate your time and feedback!

America's 1st Choice Home Club Company Information