1.63/5
Based on 73 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

152 Hitachi TV Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 17, 2011

I purchased a Hitachi 60 inch rear projection TV for over $3500. The picture went dull, blue and yellow haze. I have had light engine problem within 3 years. This is obviously bad design, but cheap product means more profit for Hitachi. They have bad consumer relations. I will never ever buy another Hitachi product again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

I bought a Hitachi Refrigerator Model No. RS31NVND about four and a half years back from Nandilath G-Mart Calicut. The first year, I encountered a problem and as inquired, I got it redressed from an authorized center and I was extremely pleased with their service but now unfortunately as they quit, I was redirected to Athulya Refrigeration Nadakkavu Calicut.

I was extremely happy with Hitachi and that was the sole reason to buy this refrigerator. When I called the service center, they respond in a very rude manner and this is extremely damaging the reputation of Hitachi and Athulya Refrigeration acts without any commitment to the consumer.

For the past five months, our refrigerator is not working. We have a function coming up on 13.11.11 and Athulya Refrigeration, Nadakkavu Calicut had assured of getting the work done at least by 12.11.11 and now when I called, they say that it's not possible.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 27, 2011

I have a TV model 60V500A from March 2004. It has developed blue background with large red circle area in middle, so dark colors no longer appear dark in the picture. We paid a lot for this TV and picked it because it had good ratings, but now we see that we are not the only ones who have this problem with our TV.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2011

I have a 60" Hitachi UltraVision Projection HDTV, model 60V710. I had to change the bulb twice, and now I have to change the bulb again. Another problem is with the light engine. I paid over $3,000 for this TV, plus all the other repairs and costs. Any advice or help out there? Is Hitachi responsible for their products?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2011

I bought a Hitachi big screen TV in 2004. I also bought the extended warranty. The lamp went out after a year, then the light engine went out. My warranty covered the repair. As soon as the warranty went out the lamp and light engine went out again. I looked online and discovered that is a typical problem with the television I bought.

I called Circuit City and they said I need to get the receipt from the repair place. I called Citywide TV (the business that did original repair) they told me they were never paid by Circuit City and they can't find my receipt. Even though Circuit City knows the repair was done, they are leaving it up to me to get the repair place to send them a receipt. They will not look for it. And I'm stuck with a TV that doesn't work after I paid top dollar for it along with a 5 year warranty!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hitachi?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2011

We bought a three-door Hitachi refrigerator worth 40,000 INR about five months back and it has started leaking from behind. We've registered complaints a number of times. Extremely unsatisfactory services and rude staff.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2011

We spent $2800 as well for a television that we were told would last forever. We purchased it from Best Buy, which is now out of business. We replaced the bulb and bought an extended warranty. Thank goodness. The warranty covered the bulb about four times and three light engines. Now we are stuck with a TV that we can't afford to fix.

Hitachi should be forced to compensate for their defective product. When it was working it was great.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2011

I purchased a Hitachi 50V720 model on 02/07/06. I replaced the lamp two times during the first two years and thought that was a bit excessive. I replaced the lamp a third time early this year and now, I am developing the red mist, blue blooms and green streaks I'm reading about all over the internet. I called Hitachi and got the "what are you talking about?" response. I called their authorized repair center and got the same response with the addition of "here's our cost to fix the problem we don't know about". I loved the TV in the beginning (sigh), but I won't be buying another.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2011

I have a Hitachi 50V710 and I just replaced the bulb. The TV works after about 100 bucks. But now, I have four blue lights right in the middle of my screen--downer for those scary movies. I contacted the manufacturer and they're saying that they can't help. I will never buy with them again.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2011

If there is a class action suit against Hitachi on their 50-inch rear projection TV with bad optical engine, I would like to know and be included. We spent $2800 for a television that we were told would last forever. We purchased it from Circuit City, which is now out of business. We replaced the bulb and bought an extended warranty. We are now stuck with a piece of expensive junk with a red bulb in the middle to haul off. Is there any recourse? I already purchased a replacement for 1/4 of the price. Hitachi should be forced to compensate for their defective product.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2011

Eight pm and I can't see a picture on TV. We had a power outage and the TV needs resetting, but I can't get the buttons to move anything that I can get on the screen and they don't have customer service representative on duty at this time. What a bunch of **.

Original review: July 26, 2011

I purchased a 42 inches ultra thin LCD led from Hitachi last November. On June 24, the TV had sound, but no video.

The appointment for the technician visit took a week, and only to then find out that the customer service provided the TV technician with the wrong information about my problem.

It was annoying to find out that the spare part will take another week to arrive, and another couple of days to set up another home visit. Until this day, I dealt with four home visits and defective spare parts were sent, and not even providing some courtesy as a LOANER. I’m paying a cable bill for a TV I don’t have. The case is being reviewed by the "BOARD".

Today is July 26 and still no response. Hitachi shouldn't be making TV’s, and their policy and procedures do not meet consumer’s satisfaction. I can’t believe a company could get away with selling defective items, and having the privilege of doing whatever they please.

I will never purchase another Hitachi product again.

Instead of them working with you, they work against you.

I also informed the main office of how displeased I am. Why do I have to pay for their CRAPPY TV?

Original review: July 19, 2011

50" Plasma Hitachi purchased 11/08/08 had a one year warranty from factory stopped working on April 2010. replaced power supply costing 300.00. June of 2011 turn tv on black 2" line on left side of screen 4" from panel no one knows the problen. cost 149.99 to checkout. we will never buy a hitachi tv again. a rip off gave them 2800. plus less than 5 year should be a law to stop this!

Original review: June 20, 2011

My Hitachi Ultravision 60" HD LCD TV has a greenish/yellow haze. The light engine was replaced 3 years ago. This new problem started 3 months ago. these TV's are defective! I serve in the US Navy on active duty and I cannot afford a $2000 repair bill.

Original review: March 15, 2011

I had a 46-inch TV purchased on 3/18/10. It had 1 year warranty from factory and it stopped working on 12/11/10. I contacted Sam's Club because I had bought a 2-year extended warranty with the TV. They told me to contact Hitachi due to the fact that it was under their warranty. I did and the Hitachi people told me to call their repair service Audio Video Doctor.

So I did and they came out a week later on a Thursday. The technician checked it out said that the board was bad and they would have to order one and it would take a couple of weeks to get. Three weeks later, I received a call from the repair people telling me they would be out on the next week. The technician showed up and took the board out of the box and said it was bad and they would have to order another one. I called Hitachi that day and was told that the part didn't come from them and that the service center must have ordered after market part and they would send out a new board. They did it, went to the service center overnight who mailed it. Their representative who took another two weeks to get out there again took it in February. The TV had sat at this point for two months not working.

I called Hitachi and asked why they would not just send me a new TV. They said they didn't do that and they would get this one fixed if they had to replace every part in the set. Three weeks later, I got a call from the AV Doctor and they told me they were coming out to put a new computer in the TV. On Tuesday, the technician showed up (it's a different one) and he opened it up and checked it out and said a computer was blown out on the power supply and that was the problem all along. I was on the phone with Hitachi again and told them what the repairman said and they asked to speak to the technician.

I gave him the phone and he spoke with them. He said they were sending the parts. To cut the long story short, they finally got the TV working for now (3/14/11). Three months later, the first guy they sent didn't know what he was doing and he never used a meter of any kind. He only had a laptop and he talked to the technician at Hitachi. The second technician used an OHM meter and found the trouble within ten minutes. It was outrageous. Hitachi should have given me a new TV after 6 weeks but they didn't do that. The quality of their work is questionable at best and their service is substandard to say the least.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2011

I have a Hitachi TV (Model: 50V715) and for the last two years, the screen has slowly been turning green. I contacted Hitachi when this first started and they said to replace the bulb. I did and that did not help. I called them back and they said that the problem was with the light engine, but since the TV was out of warranty, they could not help. I see that this is a known issue with Hitachi. I will not buy another Hitachi product again. I have a $2,000 piece of junk sitting in my house. For the cost of the repair, I can buy an internet TV.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2011

I bought a $3,000 TV that Hitachi knowingly made a defective part for (light engine). The TV has a huge red blob in the middle of the screen that is caused by this part. They will not fix it, and they tell me that they only fix it on a case to case basis. This should be illegal! I am unable to watch the TV resulting in unnecessary cable bills and a $3,000 brick in my living room.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2010

I have a 50v500 that needs a light engine. They give you the run around like they have no idea of what you're talking about. And the internet is lit up like a Christmas tree with complaints about these $4000 paperweights! How do I jump on the bandwagon and get some satisfaction for what is obviously a manufacturer’s poor product? Help please.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2010

I bought my 50in TV 2004 and in that time, the light engine was replaced three times costing $3450 and replaced the light six times costing $600. Now, the left side of the TV screen has blue line running through it and the right side is turning red. To fix the new problem, it will cost $500. Junk.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2010

I purchased a Hitachi 55" LCD Rear Projection Television (55VS69A) from Circuit City in late 2007 for about $1,000. Like so many other similar cases I have read online, after about two years, the screen developed a blue haze. It started out as just a line down the left hand side of the screen then over the course of several months, has slowly moved around the screen. Now, it is a full circle around the outside edge of the entire screen (looks like I am watching a program through a spotlight). The colors not affected by the blue haze had also gone bad with everything having a yellowish tint to it.

I contacted the Hitachi Customer Service in late 2009 and they would not provide any assistance since I could not provide the proof of purchase (and of course, I can't go back to the store for a copy). I got the sense early on in the conversation that they were going to do whatever they could to avoid having to repair their product. It just happened that this was an easy out for them. I have simply been living with the TV the way it is as I am not in the position to spend another $1,000 or more on another television. I'm contemplating purchasing a replacement light engine, which I have found online for $250 but would like to know if there is any other remedy. Oh and I also had the bulb blow at about the same time as the blue haze started to develop and had to replace that for about $190.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2010

My Projection TV has developed blue dots in the center of the screen. The model is 62VS69A and will be 4 years old in December. I have contacted Hitachi about this problem. No response yet repairs estimate to be around $1000.00. I have spoken with a person from Hitachi at the customer service and she stated that problems have been known about bad engine for some time. She also stated she owns a similar Hitachi TV, had problem with the engine and Hitachi replaced the engine but she had to pay for the labor. I would be happy with that option.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2010

I own a Hitachi Rear Projection television model 62VS69A that was bought in March 2007. I had to replace the projection lamp twice in 18 months and now have problems with the light engine also. Blue and yellow blob and small blue dots are appearing all over the center of the screen. It’s progressively getting worse. It’s a total waste of my money. This TV is garbage. Knowing other consumers are having the exact same problem without help from Hitachi is very disappointing.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2010

I purchased a 50-inch Ultravision flat screen and have replaced the lamp three times now. I have put more money in parts for this TV than what the unit would cost brand new. Now, the lamp is blown again, and the light engine now needs replacement. I also own a small tube TV that I have owned for over 20 years and paid $250 for brand new. I have not had to replace anything on it and it works every time I turn it on. Why does a TV that old outperform this new technology? I work extremely hard for the money I earn and take good care of all the things I own. I also have three small children and am finding it tough to make ends meet. Not only am I without a new TV, but now, I am out of $3,600.00 that I spent for the unit and nearly $1,000 for parts and service. I feel extremely violated and taken advantage of. Why are they allowed to get away with this? Is there anything I can do without being stripped of more of my hard-earned money? Or does anyone still care for the little people?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2010

I have had my Hitachi 50VS69A Rear Projection Television in 2008 and now I am being told that I need to pay 300.00 to replace the lamp projection unit. This TV is only three years old and whenever it is on, it cuts off over and over again. It will not stay on. I paid 2000.00 dollars for this TV and it states that this TV will give you years of services. I have had only three years.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2010

I have a Hitachi 50V720 rear projection TV that I bought back at the end of 2005. It has developed a blue haze. The result is a defective light engine. This is according to the repair person I called, through Hitachi customer service, who came out to my house and cost me $96.44 with tax. He said he's been replacing a lot of them. The repairman said he wouldn't buy a Hitachi and wouldn't recommend anyone buy one. How about that even the repairmen are passing on the word. I called back to Hitachi and got no help from them. They said I needed to mail in my original receipt for the purchase of the TV, the estimate from the repairman and a letter explaining why I thought it should be repaired out of warranty. I mailed this three weeks ago and no response, so I called the customer service dept again which by the way, they will not let you talk to a supervisor, just the dummy who answers the phone and tells you they can't do anything for you.

I wish I had a job like that. Imagine getting paid to answer calls all day and tell everyone that you can't help them, can't transfer them to anyone who can help them and just give them an address to mail in a complaint. Great customer service, Hitachi. She advised me today that it takes up to 45-60 Business days before Hitachi will get back to you once you mail all your paperwork in. I told her that was 3 months. No one told me that the first time. I said that no one at Hitachi cares about their customers and she said, "Oh, I didn't say I didn't care." What do you call that when you can't give someone an answer to their complaint for 3 months. She also indicates that she can't transfer you to anyone who cares that's because there is no one who cares at Hitachi. She made it sound like I had such an "Old" TV. She said she has a beautiful Hitachi plasma TV in her living room. Yeah, just what I wanted to hear. I said, "Yeah, you don't have a defective one do you? Well, I do and I don't think anyone at Hitachi really cares."

Now that I read all these other complaints, I do know they don't care and I probably won't hear from them. I plan on buying a new one during the holidays probably for less than it will be to fix this one. Estimated cost was $482.63 for the part and $295 for the labor plus tax. It sure won't be a Hitachi and we all need to tell our friends and relatives not to buy a Hitachi either. I don't care if they did fix the problem in their new TVs and their employees are enjoying them. Soon that's the only people who will buy them is someone who works for them. They don't stand behind anything they did in the past even when it's a well known fact and they have horrible customer service on top of that.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2010

I have a Hitachi 50v720 rear projection LCD TV. I've owned the TV for four years and last year, the bulb went out. Hitachi would not cover the costs of replacement and the bulb cost me $200 to replace. This year, a blue spot is appearing at the center of the screen and also some yellow streaks.

Many consumers seem to be having the same problem and it looks like it is a problem with the light engine, which costs over $1,000 to repair and replace. Hitachi should be held accountable for their faulty products and offer some sort of reimbursements to consumers. A TV should last more than four years, especially for the amount of money that has been invested in the product.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2010

I bought a Hitachi rear projection LCD PTV in early 2006 and I paid well over $3,000 for it. The Hitachi Operating Guide that came with the TV states that, "This protective technology should provide years of lasting entertainment from your Hitachi Liquid Crystal Display." It is 2010 and the TV has not worked since 2008.

In 2007, a large blue light puddle began in the upper right corner of the screen and grew larger and larger until it completely interfered with the picture. By 2008, there was no picture at all. $3,000 is a lot to spend on a TV that Hitachi promises will provide years of lasting entertainment yet only lasted two years. I have been planning to buy a new lamp unit for the TV as the Operating Guide states that if the picture is gone and the red indicator light is flashing, it means that the lamp needs to be replaced.

The red indicator light is indeed flashing and there is no picture but after reading the massive amount of complaints written by consumers who describe the same faulty functioning, I have decided not to waste my money. I will sue Hitachi and would like to know if there is a class-action suit pending that I can join. I have the TV in my possession and the Operating Guide which is proof enough that Hitachi is lying to consumers and committing fraud.

The physical damage is a loss of $3,000 plus a television unit due to faulty claims of years of lasting entertainment and faulty workmanship from a company who knowingly sold defective merchandise to unsuspecting consumers.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2010

Hitachi 55-inch LCD projection TV (model 55VS69A, serial number V6G001366); purchased late 2006. Screen has developed blue dots that have consumed the upper right quadrant of the screen and has spread now throughout the screen covering 40% or more of the entire 55 inches. Picture has become grainier and the color is becoming muted. Hitachi says it is likely a light engine failing and causing the LCD projection to be compromised. My cost will be roughly $1,000 to repair and Hitachi will not assist.

To have purchase an expensive TV from what I thought was a reputable company and to have a product of this expense fail so early makes me want the old tube TV back. This is crazy that I should have to pay for this. It appears from the many complaints I see that this is a systemic issue with the product; therefore, Hitachi should pay for the repair. If not, their market share will be affected by such wide-spread poor quality. It has affected me that I will never purchase another Hitachi product and will spread the word to all I come in contact with that the product and the company is a poor investment.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2010

My 50 inch Hitachi projection TV has blue streaks going all over it. It has sound and picture but the streaks are easily seen!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2010

I purchased a Hitachi 50V500 five years ago and had to replace the Optical Engine after less than one year of use. Now, I'm getting a blue shadow on the right side of the TV and it is spreading where it almost covers half of the screen. I had to go out and purchase a new TV because I was told it would be very expensive to repair the Hitachi. Too many problems.

Hitachi TV Company Information