2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.39/5

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Gamestop Reviews

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

This review is going to be EXTREMELY long, but worth the read. I wish I could give this store more than 5 stars, and I've never even been there yet. The reason for that is...Bob. Bob deserves ALL the stars...and the moon...and the sun...and the Galaxy itself. Bob is a hero without a cape (or maybe he has a cape, I don't know, I've never met him so I'm not sure what he's into).

Bob just single handedly made my 5 year old son's Christmas. My son is absolutely head over heels OBSESSED with Godzilla, he is a TRUE fan, loves all the classics, knows every single monster and movie and all, and has about a MILLION figures and toys. He saw videos on YouTube of a Godzilla game that came out in 2015 for PS4 over 6 months ago and I've been trying to find it since, but because the game didn't review well not many copies were made and now it can't be found online for less than a couple hundred even used...as a single mom struggling to get through each week let alone pull off Christmas, I just can't afford that for one game/gift.

I discovered that GameStop sells it pre-owned for $60 (imagine that...$60 used!!). But the problem is they almost never have it. I imagine it either gets snapped up by other diehard fans or by employees who know they can resell online for more. I saw it on the website about an hour from me but wanted to call first, but it was gone by the next morning. So I searched 100 miles from my zip code, 100 miles from a zip code an hour west, east, north and south of me. No luck. I had friends in many other states search 100 miles from them...no luck. I tried EVERYTHING, and my local GameStop wouldn't be bothered trying to help me, they told me they can only search up to 100 miles too.

Last night after working very late and being completely exhausted and stressed over Christmas and spending countless hours yesterday searching online for this thing or that on their lists, I decided to take a break and check 100 miles from me for the hell of it, expecting to come up empty. To my amazement, it showed there was a copy at the Little Falls store. I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice by waiting to call when they opened so I quickly, heart pounding, added it to my cart, fully expecting it to pop up and tell me I couldn't check out because it was no longer available. I made it through checkout, paid the $67 and change after taxes (and a $3 protection plan because yeah it's a $60 USED game).

I went to bed feeling better than I have in weeks, completely over the moon that he was going to get his game that I had driven myself crazy over for half a year. The confirmation said to wait until I received email confirmation, so I planned to drive the 45 minutes to Little Falls in the morning once I received it. Fast forward to 9:15 this morning when I received an email...for the cancellation of my order. I very impatiently waited for 10am when the store would open to call and demand answers. I was dialing by 9:58. By now I had had 45 minutes to fester and I was livid.

I probably called somewhere between 7-12 times before someone picked up...Bob. Poor Bob had no idea about my Godzilla obsessed kid who literally sits and watches YouTube videos of other people playing the game while wishing he could, my long search, my late nights on eBay and GameStop.com and Google, all the bidding wars that ended while I was sleeping or working, the countless times I would think I was about to win just to be outbid at the very end of the auction by an amount that took it way above my budget. Bob was probably not expecting the angry, sleep deprived, deranged person on the other end of the phone when he answered ever so politely.

"Uh, yeah, I'd like someone to tell me EXACTLY WHY a game I ordered AND PAID FOR on the website last night was cancelled at 9:14 this morning before the store was even OPEN." I will admit that a character flaw of mine is always jumping to the worst possible conclusion...like that an employee had come in the morning and cancelled my order so they could buy it... especially after reading the night before (because I was neurotically Googling how reliable the Buy-Online-Pickup-In-Store stock system was and trying to figure how likely I was to actually get hands on my unicorn of a game).

Bob did not even flinch or miss a beat, he very politely explained to me that unfortunately even though the website said it was in stock there, it never actually was and that another employee had taken in a trade right before closing the night before for the game God of War and accidentally hit the Godzilla game instead when entering the info to the system as Godzilla was right under God of War on the list. He apologized sincerely, and my fury deflated and (some) of my sanity returned...after all, it wasn't really Bob I was mad at.

I explained to him about my son and how much he absolutely loves everything Godzilla and that I'd been driving myself up a wall (which of us parents ISN'T doing exactly the same thing this time of year) trying to get the game for 6+ months and how I was just hoping for a Christmas miracle to be able to make it happen for Christmas. I told him this was the second disappointing "almost had it". By now I was feeling completely defeated and just sad, and really felt like just giving up on the whole thing. Then Bob said he wanted to help me. He had already found a copy down in Georgia (hmmmm...but I thought they can only search 100 miles as well, according to the employee at my local store?) in the short time we'd been on the phone, and was looking for more leads.

"I can't go all the way to Georgia" was my response as I'd been told by a different employee at a different store that they wouldn't ship it from store to store even if he found it. He said he wasn't asking me to, that he would get it sent right to him and I could pick it up. He asked for my contact info and said he'd give me a call back in 25 minutes or so. Before he hung up he said "I like to help people and I'm pretty good at these types of things". I thanked him profusely and told him he's awesome, but did not have high hopes he'd be able to find it other than another inventory mistake.

I waited, impatiently, trying to keep busy. An hour went by and I noticed I had a missed call and voicemail from Bob saying the Georgia copy didn't pan out as it had been purchased as soon as they opened, but that he had a few more leads and was still working on it but didn't want me to think he'd forgotten me. I was still completely skeptical and felt bad that he was spending hours of his day calling all over the place for my sake trying to hunt down some silly Godzilla game for a 5 year old (and I knew he was cause I tried to return his call and got the busy signal twice). Back to waiting.

I must have dozed off because I woke up around 1:45 and saw I'd missed two calls and a voicemail from him. I listened to the voicemail then called him back. "YOU. ARE. AMAZING!!!!!" were the first words out of my mouth when he answered. He chuckled and confirmed it was me. He seemed pretty excited and happy to inform me that he had not only FOUND THE GAME and that it was already ON ITS WAY. I almost fell off my seat, I think I was in a total state of shock. He apologized for it taking so long (yes, HE apologized to ME for spending his entire day so far searching GameStops like a madman for a game for a complete strangers son), and explained he'd had to wait out the THREE HOUR time difference until a GameStop in CALIFORNIA opened.

He *WAITED* out a *THREE HOUR* time difference...to help out a STRANGER. All the while I assume making calls to GameStops all over the country. ALL. OVER. THE. COUNTRY. He then proceeds to tell me that on top of all that, he might even have found a more local copy that's on hold for someone that he will PERSONALLY PICK UP and then PERSONALLY DROP OFF TO HIS COWORKER tomorrow morning (I assume the hold expires today or something) so that I can have it sooner, but if not I'll still have it probably the end of this week and definitely before Christmas.

MIND. BLOWN. Bob accomplished the impossible in finding not just one but possibly two copies of my unicorn. And he went absolutely above and beyond, over the moon and the river and through the woods, to grandmother's house and back, battled through swarms of orcs, had an epic lightsaber battle on his spaceship ride to Knowhere, came back and crossed Mordor, and survived the fires of Mount Doom to do it. I probably thanked him a few hundred times, and thinking back I don't think I ever even apologized for my initial attitude on the first phone call this morning.

Not all heroes wear capes, but is this guy actually some sort of real life angel or something? I wasn't entirely sure more than a handful people like this even existed anymore in the world, and I was under the impression it was a concrete unbreakable RULE OF THE UNIVERSE for them to never work in retail. People who are not only willing to help others with no expectation of something in return, but actually ENJOY doing so.

I've seen some pretty horrible reviews of GameStop employees at other locations (and experienced such when I was made to believe by one at my own local store that none of this was even possible, perhaps laziness or whatever the case may be), perhaps all GameStop employees should be made to attend a mandatory training seminar by Bob. He could do amazing things for his store and GameStops company. I have never in my life in any store anywhere experienced such incredible and outstanding customer service and just plain actual care for other human beings.

In all seriousness, I hope this review somehow magically makes its way to the eyes of the people above Bob and up the chain of command. I know without a shadow of a doubt there are probably more people than not that would have tracked the game down, had it sent to them and purchased it to resell for themselves and just told me they had no luck without a single care or second thought about a stressed out, struggling single mom that just wants to see her 5 year old light up on Christmas, that's unfortunately a lot of the world we live in these days. He deserves recognition, promotion, a raise, and a corner office (if he wants one anyway). GameStop has a truly amazing employee here who genuinely knows what excellent customer service and caring is and does anything and everything to practice it, and THAT is what is needed especially in chains like GameStop.

I truly believe if they filled their stores with employees like this, or at least truly appreciated and cherished the few they might have by rewarding their excellence, their business and profits would explode. I have never been so impressed in all my 31 years of life. Truly just at a loss to even find the words to describe this experience and how good it made me feel. That is the type of employee and human being that has the ability to restore people's faith in a store, it's company, retail in general, and humanity itself.

I feel like the praise in this ridiculously long review that probably absolutely ZERO people will make it to the end of, doesn't even do any of what happened today or Bob justice. He made a kid's Christmas today, a kid he doesn't even know. I really, really hope he's working when I go pick the game up so I can thank him (and finally apologize) in person, I think I'll bake him some cookies or something too. Keep being awesome, Bob!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

The Vallejo GameStop is always busy. One day, early evening, it was packed. But between the three guys that were working my kids got there questions answered, products searched for, and checked out without a huge wait time. We have been coming here a few years now and the staff has always been helpful, knowledgeable, and polite. I have no complaints and recommend the Vallejo GameStop staff if you have questions or are trying to locate something specific.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I purchased a PS4 for my son last year Dec. 2018. His system started overheating, and I needed to have it serviced. I went to my local Gamestop, at Gateway Mall and spoke with one of the Reps. He was very helpful to say the least. He advised me after he pulled up my information by my phone number to bring the system in, so they could exchange it for a new one. I'm sure you you didn't see me mention anything about receipt. I was so happy he could pull up my info and the warranty that I had purchased along with the system. I bought the PS4 back and swapped it with a new one fresh out of the box. My only issue was that I had to purchase a new warranty for the new PS4. I have to admit, it's way cheaper than buying another system for my son.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

The GameStop is a great place to shop for my son. He plays with his PlayStation 4 and I can go there and find games that he is looking for. I think you get better customer service there then going to buy them at Walmart. If you are looking for something specific they will go to great lengths to help you. I love shopping there because I can find what he needs for his gaming systems.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Shop GameStop quite often for gifts. I shop different locations across the country. The employees know the products and have always been extremely helpful in helping me make good choices. They have great selections and make it easy to have gifts picked up at other locations. The back up their products & are really helpful in an emergency, a kid on a 900 mile road trip without a game charger constitutes an emergency. Great selection on used games & related game merchandise. Worth checking them out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gamestop?

Original review: May 21, 2020

We ordered a gaming computer for my son for his birthday through Gamestop online. We ordered on May 6th and it said it would arrive on 13th and his b.day was 18th so we thought that would work out great. NO WAY...Today is the 21st and still haven't gotten it. Instead we keep getting e-mails saying there are errors and every time we call no one knows what's going on BUT the money came off our credit card so apparently we are going to have to cancel and go somewhere else.

Original review: May 16, 2020

I wish I could give a 0 star to GameStop. Horrible to contact the customer service and even after submitting many requests no one contacted me back. The game orders I have ordered does not work, the return label is wrong and UPS refused to take the package.

Original review: April 24, 2020

Ordered 4 digital gift cards for 4 recipients. 24 hours later no one received anything. I called. Waited 1hr 27 minutes to be informed that all four gift cards were sent to one recipient. They would correct this within 24 hours by sending a report to the person who could resolve the issue, by that time one of the gift recipients may have received a gift card amounting in all 4 and would begin spending it for their family, to have it revoked to be given to the other 3 recipients. When I asked to speak to the person who could resolve the issue, I was transferred to a line that required an extension that was not provided to me and was disconnected.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I wish I could give them a ZERO!!! GameStop severely messed up my preorder but also has been avoiding doing anything about it. This my second time on hold with them and each time totally about 3 HOURS EACH. This time I was on there for almost 3 HOURS and they didn't answer and gave me the busy dial tone! DO NOT SHOP AT GAMESTOP!!!

Original review: April 16, 2020

I bought two Nintendo joycon replacements because I lost mine. They were $40 each. I then found my old ones and tried to refund through PayPal. The only way to get a refund was to call customer service. I waited on hold for 2 hours and when they picked up they couldn’t find my order with the number I gave them. After waiting another 30 minutes while they kept looking they finally took me off hold and I accidentally hung up. I called again and waited for 3 hours.... Then a robot came on the phone telling me their connection was interrupted and hung up. I’m still yet to get my $80 refund.

Gamestop Company Information