Gamestop

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My son and I accidentally purchased a downloadable expansion pack for the wrong gaming platform. We never redeemed the download code and immediately purchased it again for the correct platform. I then proceeded to sit on hold for an hour to be told, very rudely, that it was my mistake and they do not issue refunds on downloadable content.

There is no way I'll believe that they are unable to track and confirm whether or not a download code has been redeemed or acknowledge that I re-purchased the same game on a different platform within the same hour. Obviously they can track redemptions because if you try and redeem a code a 2nd time it won't work again. This is total fraud. I can't believe GameStop will happily keep a child's hard earned video game money and hide behind a crappy policy. Granted we did make a little mistake but that should not result in a $20 +tax win for GameStop.

I could not believe what was being done when I went there to trade in my son's PS3 for a PS4. They connected the PS3 to some old beat up tv and said the system was causing the screen image to flicker and bounce. They offered me 25.00 for the system and 12 games. Completely dishonest. I connected that PS3 to 4 different tvs in my house after that with no issue whatsoever. Needless to say I purchased the PS4 elsewhere and won't ever do business with GameStop again.

11 days after sending a Customer Support inquiry I finally got a response. Free shipping by shipping to the store was not even an option on the website - problem with the functionality. I sent a separate message to Gamestop and that response took 8 days and the solution was to call Gamestop corporate... after the items were already mailed. Such a frustrating company. I'm using Amazon and Walmart from now on.

Reserved a New turquoise 2DS XL handheld on their website last week. I came in Saturday near my location when they said they did not have the turquoise, they had the pukey green and white version. The management made a call to the mall location to see if they carried the turquoise. The managers from the mall location said they did have it. Went over there and had to wait 10 minutes in line due to a lot amount of people. After 10 minutes I told them I was the person from the other location seeking a turquoise colored version. One of their employees looked at the back and their inventory and said they did not carry it until their shipment next morning. I decided to make a down payment for it and pick it up the next day. Wasted my time traveling over here on the bus.

Couldn't make it in yesterday due to bad weather and no buses on Sundays, I came in just today to pick it up and yet another delay, their systems wasn't working. I did other errands and waited for a few hours no problem. I come back and their systems still wasn't working. The manager said the mall location has gotten their inventory screwed up and they did in fact carried a turquoise 2DS. I filed a complaint to their stores. I now have to waste my time again coming by tomorrow to pick it up. I am never going there again and just rather do my business with Best Buy or order online and ship it from now on.

About a month and a half ago I bought my son a pre owned PS4 and extra controller. When purchasing I paid for the extra year warranty on both (29.99 on system, 10.99 for a controller and I thought it was 2 years at time of purchase but receipt says 1). Anyway I bought this for my son who plays solo all the time so I never used the second controller.

Today we sat down to play 2 player MLB and the teams just kept scrolling. It was the left stick on the pre owned controller. I bring it back and tell him, and he says, "Well I'll switch it out for you but normally we don't do that past 30 days." I said, "I hope you do, I have a 2 year warranty" to which he replied, "No you only have a system warranty." After 2 minutes of whether I had it, he sees it on the receipt after all (6 foot long receipt with 2 items on it). After switching it out he asks, "Do you want the warranty on this one?" I said, "Doesn't the warranty still apply on the original?" He said, "No. Once I turn in the controller it voids it." "So you mean by me buying a broken controller and not bringing the busted thing back in 30 days you, on day 31, immediately are not responsible for selling broken garbage?" He said, "Yeah basically."

Moral: NEVER EVER buy pre owned from Gamestop. I thought these things were sent to corporate somewhere and refurbed, but they literally just wipe em off and stick it in a bag and put it on the shelf. That broken controller you sold them for $10 is sitting broken on the shelf next day for some idiot to buy for $50. I asked if they even tested the trade ins and his reply was, "Yeah we make sure the buttons don't stick and wipe it off." Unreal... Never again Gamestop.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gamestop?

I pre-ordered Destiny 2 digital deluxe edition which was supposed to come with an early access to the Beta. After a day of not receiving the beta code, I contacted the customer service and it's been an undesirable experience from them. It almost felt like I was being trolled. This is still ongoing. They kept asking for my billing address even after I gave it to them. I even screen shot the billing address and sent it to them. I wanted to cancel my order since I got tired of dealing with the customer service and all they kept asking was the billing address. I got infuriated. I sent it more than 6 times even the screen shot of it. When I called them, the people on the other line were so condescending, they didn't even know how their website work. Since it was my first time, I didn't know where to pull out my billing address information and they didn't even know. It's ridiculous. I'm done with Gamestop.

Let's put this company out of business! Just had to deal with another lying Gamestop employee... About the third in a couple of weeks! No more. Stop selling them your games and accessories for next to nothing so they can turn around and sell them for sometimes more than the cost of the same new item! PSVR with used motion controllers and camera for 480 bucks!? I walked literally 50 feet down a sidewalk to Target and got all new Psvr bundle for 399! WTF, Gamestop?! Employees who literally are so stupid, they do not think you can see the same thing they see when you Google something...enough of the lies concerning availability of items and these stupid exclusives that they never even have! Gamestop is a joke!

Went into store to trade in what turned into 300 plus in store credit. That was the only good from this story. When I went to trade in, I waited in line just like any other person. Finally it was my turn and I go to trade in my items. The clerk starts taking my items, scans them in, and then gets to my new style Nintendo 3DS. He took it over and plugged it in, played around with it and then took other customers, while I waited. Then the phone rang and he engaged in a conversation, while I waited. He told me he couldn't find the serial number on the 3DS, asked me to wait and then did a trade in with other customers, checked out other customers, while I waited...

So he then tells me he needs to "Google" how to find the serial number, and then checks out another customer. He gets a few tools and takes apart the 3DS? He still couldn't find it. A group of people walk in and he asks them where the serial number is, he takes the face plate off and finds the number. At this point I have waited about 30 minutes while other people were helped. I traded all the stuff in to get the Arms Nintendo Switch Bundle, pay the difference in cash and place the order. He tells me it will ship in one to two days and I should have it next week.

I ordered this on Tuesday, June 26th. When I looked at the receipt in the car, the receipt says that the pre-order won't even ship until July 20th-27th. That is a full month after the order... I am not really all that bent out of shape about it because I am not desperate and I am a reasonable person but this might have been the top 5 worst customer service experiences I have had. I have read other reviews on here and am nervous to say the least about the Gamestop.com experience. At least there was no debit card involved as it seems that Gamestop likes to double charge cards.

So I bought 40 dollars worth of stuff, two games, and a controller. Waited for the day it was supposed to arrive. It never did. I checked the tracking only to see that my stuff was delivered to a completely different place (Yes, I entered in all the correct information). I emailed them and asked about this issue, and I only got an automated email, and still no live person response. I have all the proof that this was not by my own fault, and still no help. They won't refund or anything. Horrible experience, as is apparently the norm for all customers.

Purchased a $20 PlayStation card and it is usually instant but this time they said it would come in and email. I used Paypal to pay and they charged me. When I finally got an email and tried to get the code with the confirmation number it said it didn't exist. I called their customer service and gave her the order number. She ask for my phone number and I gave it to her, she said that didn't match. I told her I've this number since 2005 and it's my only number. She said she couldn't pull number so she couldn't pull my order and give my code! They could charge me though! What a rip off! I'll never use them again! I had to file a dispute through paypal to get my money back!

I have never been a victim of identity theft EVER because I take necessary steps to protect my information. I just received your security notice about ALL of my personal information being compromised. Just to find out that my account was hit for 3000.00!!! MY GOD! What kind of sad security system do you have?? I used your system to order my son a few games and console and updated my information in the store for your rewards program just to get my money stolen within a 3 hour period. THEY ARE DOING NOTHING TO ASSIST THEIR CUSTOMERS OTHER THAN SENDING THEM TO EXPERIAN AS IF IT IS THEIR JOB TO HANDLE YOUR MISTAKE!!

I purchased a downloadable $20 credit for the PlayStation Store from Gamestop. It took over two hours for them to send me the code. When I tried to use the code, Sony said it had already been used. I informed Gamestop of this and they said there were no refunds and that I could fight with Sony about it if I wanted to.

Never use Gamestop.com. I placed an order in March for a Switch after we traded our Wii and gotten a Gamestop gift card. I used my credit card, my Powerup Rewards credit and the gift card. When it shipped Gamestop.com charged my credit card for the entire amount. I was told they could not credit my credit card. They will return it to the gift card and PUR card. OH YES, they had charged them all! And 2 days ago, over a month after receiving my entire shipment, they tried to charge my card again for the same order. Beware!

Bought a game for my nephew and had it shipped overnight for his birthday. Fail. Not only did they fail, 2 weeks later they stopped responding to my emails because they say the item is processing... That's their answer to everything! OH! Wait, they gave me money back overnight shipping to make sure my nephew's ruined birthday was handled. It's not about the money, it's about service. Glad Gamestop shares are losing every year, they rape gamers and lie about everything. Good luck Gamestop, you just lost another customer. They even sent me the same exact #sorrywemessedup email and when I called them out on it, they told me to calm down. I am more than willing to upload emails if anyone wants to order from that crap company again!

We ordered MLB The Show 17 Hall of Fame Edition - "Only at GameStop" for our son for Christmas. He waited three months for his gift to arrive in late March. Days went by and nothing came in the mail so we decided to call and GameStop told us that they were sold out and basically tough luck. They would not honor our order. We will never, EVER shop at GameStop again. Terrible customer service. Can't understand a word the employees say. Horrible.

I ordered an iPhone 6s Plus from Gamestop. It was described as being a "Premium Refurbished" item. The item I received was in poor condition. The lens on the back camera was completely shattered with most of the glass missing. There were significant tool marks around the entire case at the end of the glass. Corners of the phone were all scuffed (but be realistic - this is one thing that might be expected of a refurbished unit). A premium refurbished unit should not have a broken camera and should not have lots of significant tool marks on the case around the glass.

I returned the item for a replacement. After not getting any acknowledgement from Gamestop for over a week, I sent them an email which they sent a robo-email response, but no other response. After another four days, I called them. They told me that the replacement phone had been shipped earlier in the day and that I should have gotten an email already (No, I had not, and still have not gotten an email). Checking the UPS tracking number that they gave me over the phone, I checked UPS and found that the shipping request had just been created (to be fair, I could not determine the time it was created), but the phone had not yet been provided to UPS.

I believe that Gamestop would still not have sent the replacement phone had I not called. It just seems like they put the shipping request in to UPS while I was on the phone talking to them (they had me on hold for about ten minutes). To summarize my view, the originally provided product was not as described, the replacement was slow, and I feel they were dishonest in dealing with me. I plan to send the replacement phone back for this poor treatment. On a good note, the customer service representatives that I spoke to were courteous (even if I feel they weren't above board).

I ordered a refurbished Xbox ONE bundle (with 2 refurbed controllers and 2 used games) before Christmas for my family. Love the machine, however one of the 2 games that I got with it, I discovered in January when I finally went to play it, will not load to the machine. I emailed Gamestop through their online contact. Then, the controllers started acting up (moving on their own). So I emailed them again, referencing the original inquiry as well. A few weeks later, I finally got an email from them asking for more information. It is now almost April and I have not gotten a response from them to resolve (or not) my problems! And we have barely played the thing since January because of the controller issues. I have never had a problem in-store, but I will never buy online from them again after this experience.

I should have known better than to trust a Gamestop. Spouting lies as usual. Telling me if I come in store to purchase a Nintendo Switch bundle by that night, I would have it by Friday with next day shipping. I made my order Wednesday... Anyhow, I'm following the tracking number provided by Gamestop which says I should have everything by Monday. So I'm annoyed, but whatever... I just want the Switch.

I come home early from work to catch my delivery in time so nothing happens to it, and just a book from Zelda is on my doorstep. I check my email, I now have a new email with a new tracking number from Gamestop saying that my Nintendo Switch is above to ship now!!! Wait what? Next day shipping? It's been nearly an entire week and still HASN'T SHIPPED YET.

I call this number. I found Dedicated Customer Care: (877) 676-GAME... I call them looking for a refund only on the shipping that I was lied to about. They come back and say they can offer me a gift card! Lol AYYYY... Like I haven't already spent enough money with you!? Just give me what I am owed and be done with it!!! I could have skipped all of this garbage time spent, and ordered the bundle I WANTED off some other internet source. If this was Game of Thrones, Game Stops saying would be, "we promise, but we lie, we are game stop"... RIP Gamestop. You are NOT for the gamer. SHAME!!!

Calling the GameStop in Lyndhurst, NJ for several days and keep getting their voicemail stating they are busy and cannot take the call. And then the next message says, "This mailbox is full," and it hangs up on you. I doubt you are that busy. Then went to Corporate to complain but no phone number listed so googled for one and found. Now I am on hold with them for several time. I have been in retail for over 30 years and this is unacceptable.

I placed an online order and paid for 2 games, and shipping on one of them, the other game I chose to save $5.99 and pick up the game at the Fairfield, CT store. When I was at the store, they charged me again for the game, which I paid because I didn't want to disappoint my son. I sent an online help email and never heard back from them. When I called the store again, about a week later, they refused to believe me and were not very professional about their mistake. They gave me the runaround and seemed to have no new information. I have no choice but to quit shopping with Game Stop, they've already wasted $9.95 of my time. I want a refund for this charge, as well as the membership fee, which is useless now that I am forced to stop shopping with them.

I will never give Gamestop my business again. They messed up my Nintendo Switch pre-order badly. None of my friends who ordered from Best Buy, Amazon, or Walmart had any of these problems. I accidentally put the wrong shipping address for my Nintendo Switch pre-order. I called to correct it about 2 weeks before release day and upgrade my shipping. Gamestop said no problem, they can change the shipping address and happily took my $15 to upgrade to release day shipping.

However, when I got an email confirmation that my item was about to ship on March 2nd, it still had the old shipping address. I spent a total of 3 hours talking to customer service representatives that day. The first one said I had to make the change with UPS. I talked to a UPS representative who said it would not be possible to do that without a $100 charge. The second representative told me the item would have to be delivered to the incorrect address, recalled, and then sent to the correct address. Ok, fine I thought. I was willing to wait a few extra days. Another downside was that I would not get a refund on my expedited shipping until I actually received the item.

Still, I was willing to wait. I have kept track of the item on UPS over the last few days and it just arrived back to Gamestop today. I was now expecting to get an email confirmation for the item to ship to the correct address. Instead, I got one that said I would soon be refunded. So I, again, spent an hour on the phone with customer service. I am now told that I will have the item by the end of the week.

However, at this point I have no faith in customer service. Either GameStop's computer systems are terrible and don't correctly update customer information, or GameStop doesn't have capable customer service representatives. Either way, I ordered the Switch for 3/3 and will receive it 3/10 at the earliest. Or the week of 3/12. This is by far the worst customer experience I have ever had. And, I have had to go out of my way to even get something as simple as a shipping refund on a order they messed up. Other companies go out of their way to offer gift cards when things like this happen. GameStop definitely will not have my business in the future.

I returned a used PS4, into the store. Their reps were very friendly, and I thought everything went well. Three weeks later, the return still hasn't shown up. Was directed by store to call customer support line. 90 minutes later, I'm still on the line, listening to their stupid ads on repeat. Awful experience. I wish I had never shopped there.

I felt so unwelcomed. Cashier was so rude because I wanted to do and even exchange for a shirt that was $1.97. The man kept saying he can't return it. I said I only want an even exchange. Poor customer service. I'll never buy from them again???

I called customer service to ask a question about my Nintendo Switch. I was then told that since she could not find the order number that there was nothing she could do for me. I then asked to speak with her manager because she was being aggressive on the matter and after an hour on hold to speak with said manager... they hung up on me. I am beyond dissatisfied and disappointed in their customer service. My questions remain unanswered and I will strongly suggest that they train their representatives better.

Have shopped at GameStop for over a decade. But I have just found out that the Switch that I pre-ordered on January 13th was canceled on the 17th. I did not do it. GameStop did. I have contacted customer service. The only thing they told me was what I already knew, that the order was canceled and I did not have to worry about my card being charged. They basically refused to address the question as to why it was canceled or if they were even willing to remedy the problem. I know they canceled the order due to stock problems and I would have been fine not being able to make the order at all. Instead I was allowed to make the order and assumed for the next month and half that I was going to be receiving a Switch on day 1. Instead I will have to wait for who knows how long and when I do buy a Switch, it will not be from GameStop. There are too many options for me to put up with a company who clearly does not value me as a customer.

I ordered an item with limited availability. The estimated shipping arrival date when I ordered was Feb. 21. I didn't get a shipping notification until Feb 20. Was "delivered" on Feb 27, but the envelope contained nothing but a packing list. The envelope was securely sealed and had no sign of tampering. When I ordered it, there were several places I could have ordered from. By the time my order was "delivered", everywhere was sold out.

I called customer service and was on hold for 45 minutes before my phone battery was nearly dead and I had to give up. I sent an email, but haven't gotten as response yet 24 hours later. I called a local store, explained the issue, and asked if they had any or could find any in stock. They called back and said there were 2 on hold for the day but if they weren't picked up, I could get it on hold. They didn't bother calling me back in the morning.

When I called them, the employee I spoke to kept saying "yeah" as I explained who I was and why I was calling. When I finished explaining, he said "yeah" again. I waited several seconds for him to tell me whether or not they were holding one before I had to ask "So, did you find one or not?" The answer was no, and I didn't really feel very strongly that he even checked or knew anything about it. Do not order from GameStop for limited availability items. I could have ordered the same from 3-4 other companies and actually had the item by nearly the date that GameStop had just shipping the empty envelope.

Called in to cancel my Switch because they were charging on the 25th instead of the 3rd like normal companies. They also canceled my Breath of the Wild Special Edition. When I called in to tell them they had made a mistake, they told me they can't reinstate it.

In Oct of 2016 I ordered from GameStop.com a XBOX 360 trap portal costing 9.99. The Item that was shipped was a 4.99 trap portal for a PS3 or PS4. I tried to get a hold of GameStop.com and their website only allows you to email them. Sent an email, waiting a response. Called a local GameStop store in West Jordan that told me that they are separate from the GameStop.com and didn't have a tel number said GameStop.com has gone to email. Suggested google to look up a customer service number. I will try by phone next. I hope the company can make this right. I purchased several things from their site (my history has also been removed).

When you order a 10.00 digital code for Nintendo and the site says 24-48 hours for delivery to your email there is no excuse why it should take over 10 days, and over 6 hours on the phone (between hold and talk time) to still have it not be resolved. I have been hung up on, yelled at, called a liar, given fake info to push me off the phone and promised several times only a little bit longer and still no resolution.

I bought two games for $20 and plus $2 for insurance for a year and went to take them back they would never use because the child never got the game to play men order Nintendo to play it in and they wouldn't return it. They said he'll give me $9 for the 20-something thousand I paid for the games that never been used and I had the receipt so this is why I'm filing a complaint against them. I want my money back.

Gamestop Company Profile