2. Shopping
  3. Retail Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.45/5

Gamestop Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gamestop?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gamestop?

Original review: April 9, 2021

Have contacted customer service 4 times. Was promised a refund 3 weeks ago. Called back and was promised a callback from a manager within 48 hours, which never happened. Was then promised an email within 24 hours showing refund/s would be issued, so I would have proof to dispute if they do not follow through. Called again today and was promised an email proving a credit was issued. Thus far no one has followed through with any of the promised actions.

Original review: April 8, 2021

On 3/26/21 I ordered the Nintendo Switch Monster Hunter Deluxe Edition. I received a confirmation email thanking me for my purchase. On 4/5/21 I still had not received and shipping confirmation so I called customer service who told me my order did not show up in any system and directed me to call the corporate number. I called the corporate number and was informed that my order was not processed, assured me that it was going pushed through and I would receive an email in 24 hours confirming that my order was processed. I never received that email so on 4/7/21 I called corporate again and started the process again. This time I was told that my order was canceled because of a problem with my card and I would have to place my order again with a different card which I can't because they are now sold out.

This sounded suspicious so I called my bank and found out that on 3/26/21 my bank had received the request for the total amount and approved the purchase. My bank never received another request for the same amount on 4/5 or 4/6. This tells me that GameStop canceled my order on purpose and lied to me about the "problem with my card". This is very upsetting and really makes me wonder why I would continue to spend money with a company that does this kind of thing to their customers.

Get buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2021

Paid for standard shipping yet my order arrived 2 days earlier than was promised. I never have to wait more than a day for my order to be processed and ready to ship. The site itself is fairly easy to navigate though I do wish it had a dark mode. I've also noticed the shift away from strictly physical console games into digital games and PC parts. Very excited to see where Gamestop goes next. Overall, extremely satisfied.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I recently ordered a PS4 bundle. The disc drive did not work. It would not eject the disc. I chatted online with an agent who said a good option would be to take the console to a local Game Stop store and let them do the exchange. She said that all I should need to bring is the broken console (no cables or controller). When I drove to the store, they said that they had no PS4 consoles in stock. They said there were no stores in 100 miles that did. And they said there were none available online to do the exchange.

After some searching, he said that the option would be to exchange the console for a console from a different, more expensive bundle. So I had to pay $80 additional dollars to get a console replaced because Gamestop sent me a broken one. Furthermore he said I would need to bring in the controller and all the cables that went with the console. So I had to drive back home, get them, and come back. The game I had was stuck in the console, so he gave me a small refund for that which reduced the amount to $61. I would have rather just kept the game, but he said he couldn't retrieve it. I don't understand why 1) Gamestop clearly did not do QA to see if they were selling a working console, 2) They had no way to replace the product without charging me substantially more and making me spend a lot of time working on a solution.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I wanted to write you and tell you how grateful I am for one of your employees, Rafael. Rafael went above and beyond customer care in that he was sooo incredibly thoughtful and stayed on top of my situation and resolved it excellently. In short, here was my situation — I had initially purchased a 3DS Nintendo game console that never worked. Needless to say, my 9 year old nephew, for whom this was destined for, was so disappointed. That said, after several failed attempts to reach anyone at Gamestop, I finally wrote to your CEO and CFO. Wonderfully, Rafael was assigned to my case.

I cannot say enough good things about Rafael. He stayed on top of my problem, eventually found a wonderful game console, and well, I now have such a happy nephew! In these COVID homebound times… these consoles really become so important for kids… It gives them other worlds (environments… safe from COVID) to play in. As I write this to you, my nephew is playing with the console and I can hear him laughing out loud. That makes me sooo happy!

All of that said, Raphael was just so kind, courteous, thoughtful and found me a wonderful replacement. I am a very happy Gamestop customer now… Your customer care is superb… because Raphael did a superb job. I will certainly tell my friends and family about your great products… and even more so, your great customer care… You really do care! Five stars for Raphael and Gamestop!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

On December 12 I placed an order through GameStop for an Xbox bundle. I received a confirmation email from PayPal that the funds have been taken away from my account however they would not be distributed to GameStop until the product was in my hands and the transaction was complete. To my dismay I never received a confirmation email from GameStop therefore I made a phone call and found out that the item was canceled the same day that I ordered it. I was fine with the fact that the order had been canceled due to the fact that it’s in high demand however what followed next was a tremendous does justice to anybody.

I was told my funds will be back in my account within three days and that they were just on hold, however what I found out was the funds are on hold but have been released to GameStop. After making several phone calls to both GameStop and PayPal and getting the runaround I finally had this transaction escalated and was told that PayPal had released the funds to GameStop and that it was GameStop that needed to cancel the transaction on their rent to their PayPal account.

After four phone calls to GameStop I got the exact same song and dance from every level that I approached. I am now almost a month into a fail transaction and still get the same song and dance from GameStop and PayPal. Is it so hard to understand that if you pay for services and the services are not rendered that the customer should get a refund. I should not have to wait 30 days for it to fall off because somebody can’t take action. I’ve been fuming over this for the last several days. And now I will begin writing negative reviews on both my experience with GameStop and PayPal. I work for a very large company and if we had acted in this manner to our customers head would’ve rolled, jobs would’ve been lost, and a customer Would have been taken care of. This is unacceptable and in this day and age should never happen to anybody.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

Ordered three items that were said to be shipping on the 10th with a delivery by the 17th. This is what I've dealt with since then trying to find out what's going on (since USPS is still awaiting the package as of the 23rd): I have called their customer service number several times in the past week and been told different things every time. Straight-out LIED to, told I was being transferred to a supervisor and not been, or wait with the phone ringing for 20 minutes with no answer before it just hung up. I have spent HOURS holding, been told a supervisor would return my call and never did. This last time I was told I would be transferred to the escalation team only to be transferred to some x-rated phone sex number.

I have wasted hours of my time with their customer service department being transferred from person to person with no one able to help. I was told I'd have these items by the 17th, then on the 19th I was told it was shipping that day and I'd definitely have them by the 21st. When that didn't happen I called on the 21st and was told a supervisor would call by Tuesday. NEVER HAPPENED. These are Christmas presents that are obviously not going to be here by Christmas and I've been trying for a WEEK now to get someone to get this resolved so I'd get them in time (and now it's too late because not one person was honest and everyone just transferred me to someone else who couldn't help).

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I ordered 2 Nintendo Switch games of December 8th, 2020 and requested same day delivery. The items were delivered to the wrong address, I immediately called the driver who told me to check my neighbors mailbox because he didn't know where he left it. I called customer service. I was told I would receive an email within 48 to 72 hours. Never happened.

I've called back 6 times. Waited on hold for an hour each time and got the run around each time. The last item I was told to contact the store the order originated from so being desperate to resolve the issue I did. The store told me there was nothing they could do and I had to contact the courier and they had to purchase the items and then they would be sent. Insane!!!! If that wasn't enough I ordered replacements on the website because I needed them for Christmas and paid for expedited shipping and I still have not received them! So I've now paid for 4 games and received 0!! The worst customer service ever!!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

Ordered a Switch online. Paid for express shipping. Didn’t come in specified time frame. They said it was still in on time?? Sent me confirmation email the total being the same with the shipping included, but in the shipping section of the email it said FREE and the total clearly adds up to the cost with shipping? Not sure if anyone else also checked after you made an order this year, no expedited shipping was an option after your first order. I went on the day after my order and express shipping wasn’t an option anymore. So Gamestop knew the game they were playing and that shipping wasn’t going to be timely.

Also how can you legally send me the total of an order and all of the math is wrong? Saying the shipping is free but then just tacking on the price of it in the total because it’s four hundred dollars anyways?? The price is listed in my initial email but then the second confirmation one you say I didn’t pay for shipping and it’s ‘free’ yet.... the cost is still the same :D I’ll be taking my business anywhere but gamestop from now on. This is clearly just another capitalistic, ** man owned, money hungry business that will do every last scheme they can to get more money and take advantages of employees and its customers.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

I placed an order with GameStop on 12/11/20. I paid extra for 2 day shipping. Upon ordering my item the expected arrival date stated by GameStop was between 12/16-12/18 if I paid for 2 day shipping, so I paid for the extra 2 day shipping. I received email confirmation on 12/15/20 that stated my package would arrive by 12/18/20 but it is “Awaiting Carrier Pickup”. I called GameStop on 12/18/20 to verify that my item was coming and she confirmed that it would be arriving “today”.

Well it is now 12/19/20 and no package and status still reads “awaiting carrier pickup” but the expected arrival date has been removed. So I call GameStop customer service only to find out she is unable to track my item but it doesn’t seem to be missing so we cannot refund you but advised me to call FedEx to see what they can do. FedEx states that all requests need to be made but the shipper and cannot assist. Long story short GameStop has not shipped my item and they have no idea why it hasn’t shipped. Customer service has sent a message to the warehouse and I need to call back, seriously you should be calling me back?!?! If you can’t fulfill my order either refund my money or find out what is going on. GameStop customer service is the worst! They do not give a crap about their customers. This will be the first and the last item I order from GameStop!

Gamestop Company Information