Gamestop

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought two games for $20 and plus $2 for insurance for a year and went to take them back they would never use because the child never got the game to play men order Nintendo to play it in and they wouldn't return it. They said he'll give me $9 for the 20-something thousand I paid for the games that never been used and I had the receipt so this is why I'm filing a complaint against them. I want my money back.

So, I order a Sony VR unit with the move sticks. Next day shipping... Came in when it was supposed to except for the move sticks. They claim it shipped with them. Of course they did... Having waited on hold for almost 30 minutes for a customer service rep that is in INDIA, I finally got them to cancel the move sticks... but... I asked them for an email stating the cancellation of the move sticks showing a credit back to my PayPal account. Days later and multiple emails to customer service and I've still not received an email from them nor a credit.

Next issue... I had to go to a local GameStop store... 10 miles away and buy refurbished move sticks for $75 bucks. Get home... only to realize no charger cord is included with the sticks... Thanks guys at the store for making me aware of that... So back to the store I go to buy a cable so I can charge them and sync them to the VR... Well, now, just 3 days later and one of the move sticks has quit working completely. I'll never buy another thing from GameStop. I should've just ordered from Best Buy.

A while ago, I bought a pre-owned copy of Max Payne 3 for the PS3. Since I am not a resident of the United States of America, I was only able to play the game when a got home. Disappointed I was when the game failed to install, and even more when I discovered scratches at the back of the disc. Since I was a long-time customer and that had never happened to me before, I decided not to worry, since there was nothing I could do and I believed that would never happen again.

Last week, in Orlando, I bought a pre-owned copy of The Evil Within for the PS4. I asked the store employee if pre-owned games were tested by the store before they were sold. He assured me of it and said I should not worry. Living in another country, I was only able to play when I arrived, earlier today. Another disappointment. The game would crash before reaching the main menu. I have been a faithful customer to the store for years now, and I had never seen such a disrespect for those that buy its products. I have always recommended it to my friends from the US and South America, but now I am not sure if trusting the store is a good idea.

Last holidays I purchased guitar hero from GameStop and they talked me into the membership which was probably $20. Ok that said I thought I'd be getting great deals on future purchases. Used controllers for PS4 are $55 pre-owned and start at $60 for new. Walmart has the same thing for $45. And games are the same way. Can't see paying that much markup for the same product somewhere else and since that's all they sell I won't be purchasing anything from them.

I have purchased numerous games for my son. I will never return to the Bay Ridge store. It's highly probable I will not walk into any GameStop store again. It is a very low brow operation. The staff is awful. Think the opposite of Apple customer service. Apple backs up defective products. This joint doesn't back anything up and then tells you "it's your problem". If you shop there, good luck. It's a dump.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gamestop?

They are impossible!!! Both my son and daughter ordered games from them -one a month before Christmas to get it FOR Christmas. No they did not send it out. We finally found their customer service number after searching for a bit (it is not on the website). We're on hold for almost an hour to cancel the order. My daughter pre-ordered a game, months ago, counting the days until it came out... Little did we know-she ordered it awhile ago and her credit card needed to be updated- the website froze every time we went to update. Called again, waited almost an hour, even though we paid extra to get it the day it came out... We will also now be getting that late and no refund for the extra we paid to get it on the day of release. I am horrified by their website which will not even allow you to complain to them. It freezes again and again and no phone number.

Very bad online order experience. Ordered an Apple Watch from GameStop online on December 26, which eventually got lost in UPS transit. Never notified that my order had been lost. Countless emails were sent to onlineorder.egain@gamestop.com but none were returned. Took a customer service call 3 weeks later to finally get a replacement order, which should come in 5-7 business days. Hopefully GameStop will improve its online ordering and customer service systems, but in the mean time, it's a very bad idea to order online from this company.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After emailing my problem to Game Stop we received a shipping notification via email and our "delayed" product was sent overnight. I appreciate the fast attention to this matter however my trust is pretty much gone and won't be ordering online from Game Stop again.

Heidi of Reno, NV on

Original Review

I placed an order online with Gamestop after going to multiple physical locations. My order was placed on a Wednesday - Jan 11th. I chose the value shipping for $6 because it said 4-7 days which was fine with me. If I had seen a time frame longer than that I would of paid for upgraded shipping. Today is the 17 and I've spent an hour trying to track down any hint of my order. I couldn't even find a Game Stop phone number to reach customer service. Gamestop.com account says nothing and can't even find my order. Finally figured out that it has not been shipped or processed. With one day remaining in the 4-7 day promised window. I finally call and get through to someone who says I chose the wrong shipping (first off who is he to tell me which shipping is wrong or right?). He said I chose the 10 day shipping. I said no - I'm staring at something that says 4-7 days. He ignored that and said they have until next week to get it to me.

I said, "What makes you think (operator ID# **) Game Stop has 14 days to ship a small item to me when I PAID FOR 4-7 DAY SHIPPING??" He kept talking over me and changing the explanation. Totally frustrated. If this order doesn't show up in the next few days I'm filing a fraudulent charge with my bank and never ordering from Gamestop again. I don't care if they are the only place on the planet to get game stuff - more and more their in store staff is ignorant, rude and confusing.

In this day and age - it doesn't take a whole lot to give a customer access to tracking, shipping and order look up stuff for online purchases and Gamestop is in the dark ages with this. I think they pulled a bait and switch with shipping for my order. If "value" meant waiting for two weeks for an order to be either processed or shipped - that should of been stated. Instead in their language that was stated during my transaction it said value shipping was 4-7 days and I should get an email confirmation of order processing 3 days after placement - which I never got. Gamestop you have some shady business practices and you just lost a customer and I know you don't give one care.

I purchased a guitar learning game as a gift for someone for this year's (2016) holidays. Got home and was removing price tags and this game that came out in 2014 was at the price of $29.99. They jumped the price up to $59.99, which I paid, for the holiday season. I think this is ridiculous and will no longer be giving them my family's business.

I ordered an online gift card and made a mistake in recipient's email address. Gamestop's website provides no phone number for customer service which is extraordinarily odd. I emailed right after I placed the order and told them I had made an error. No reply. I emailed 3 more times in the course of 3 weeks. No reply. Had to find phone number through an internet search. Yes, you are calling India. Had to speak to two reps to fix this simple matter. They were polite but I was on the phone for 30 minutes. 4 emails and a 30 minute phone call to fix an email address. I will never purchase from them ever again.

Where do I begin? I ordered a new PS4 Black 500GB, Overwatch, and Dragon Ball Xenoverse. I ordered 1 day shipping for an extra 20 dollars and it all went downhill from there. They tried to deliver it 11:05am while I was at work, they left no note about missing me so I had to track down my order by myself. Turns out they shipped my order to a UPS store, so I had to wait 2 more days to finally pick it up. If I hadn't done some extra prying they would have thrown away my order.

They never responded to my email and after hours on hold some Indian women with an accent that I couldn't understand finally picks up and dodges all of my questions. They are supposed to be a professional company, yet they handle their customers like they are children. I spent $320 and this is the treatment I get? I wasted $20 on next day shipping I couldn't get my game for 3 days after? Gamestop is terrible, next time just order your stuff off of Amazon or Walmart, both of them have better prices, better customer service, and better delivery.

Wow! Where to begin? This is the first time I've ever made a mistake entering the wrong email address and the company's server didn't check for its validity. There was no way for me to correct the email blunder at Gamestop online site because, well, the edit email needed my valid email address just to send me the code to change it. Ahhh. So I called the Gamestop customer service, if that's what you want to call it, and received a snobby Indian rep. I imagine with all of peeved customers calling Gamestop, the Indian rep was probably having a bad day. To make a long story short, I just asked for a refund. It's common practice to send an email confirming the incident, but the Indian with an Attitude got upset when I asked to have an email confirmation sent. Needless to say, I lost my cool and, with every expletive I could muster, ended my call. I will never purchase another game, or anything else, from Gamestop again.

I called the store to see if they could help me with a matter and they couldn't. Went on Gamestop.com and called the 1 800 number. I can't believe the poor service. I waited on the phone for 2 hrs and 3 minutes!! Gamestop should really try to work on their poor customer service. Why would I hold on for 2 hrs? It was on speaker and went on with my clothes folding and washing dishes and just curious as to how much longer it would be but I hung up. Read the reviews too! Does not surprise me!!! Shame on you!!

I bought a GameStop gift card for my son's birthday and when I used it to purchased online it didn't work. I called customer service, waited for an hour and told me that the card was already been used. I complain and told me that they will send me a replacement card. I got a new gift card from GameStop and when I used it I have the same issue. I called them again. Waited for almost 2 hrs. and told me that the card was already been used. I am not sure what is going on here. I think they are just ripping off the consumer. I had a worst experienced with this company.

I purchased online a gift ecard. My account was immediately charged. About 20 minutes later the recipient received the gift card. He took the card to the Gamestop store in Arlington Heights, IL and it SHOWED 0 BALANCE! No gift. I could not find a customer service phone number, reviewed every area of the website. Sent an email, rec'd a confirmation of the email with notes to go to the website! I am waiting for a response that is real by real people. I will NOT do business again with this group!

Ordered a Wii bundle on Black Friday 2016. Opened sealed package on Christmas Eve to put it under the tree for my 5 year old son. To my horror, the console was not in the box, only the controller and power cable. Had to explain to a 5 year old that Santa could not deliver his gift. Called Gamestop and was on the phone 2.5 hours to speak to a customer agent in India. Could not understand her. I was told a replacement would be sent out and that I would receive a confirmation email. It never came. Called again today and I was on the phone for 3 hours. I was told there was no record of my previous call.

Furthermore, I was told I will have to ship the parts I received back at my expense before they would ship the correct order! I ended up demanding a supervisor and had to wait over a additional hour. I have now been told again a replacement would be shipped. We will see. I will never, ever, ever do business with this company again! I will dispute through my credit card if the order is not processed again. Very disappointed 5 year old boy!! Worse customer service ever.

So I ordered a refurbished Nintendo 3DS XL, a copy of Pokemon Moon and a Nintendo Charger from Gamestop. The first thing is they charged me ~10$ to deliver, it's my first time ordering online from them so that seems fine, but it shouldn't be this way since I paid over $200 for these products and they can't offer me a free shipping? I later ordered a refurbish New 3DS XL that comes with a charger and an 8GB SD card from eBay for the same price they offer for the 3DS without SD card and a separate charger (New 3DS XL is better than the 3DS XL) and also a copy of Pokemon Moon from Best Buy without getting charged any shipping fee. Then I went ahead and tried to cancel my order from them. Surprisingly they don't have a cancel function for guest order on their website. So I went and do some research to find out that you have to email or call them to cancel your guest order.

I emailed them 3 times before I got an email back asking for more information which they already have, and no reply after I gave them the information. Then I called them, the first call made me wait for an hour before I had to hang up because I had things to do, the second call made me wait about 50 minutes before cutting itself off, and my third call made me wait an hour and 15 minutes before I got someone on the line to help me. The woman on the line was nice but speak really bad English for an American-based company which made it hard to work with, but overall after 3 hours in total waiting on the phone, and 2 days of figuring out how to cancel an order, I finally canceled my order. This makes me don't want to order anything from them ever again and maybe you should too.

I got a $50 Gamestop gift card for Christmas. I went online to redeem it for some games (because they are on sale before and after Christmas). After multiple hours of searching I found games I wanted, and proceeded to checkout. Everything was going well until I got to where I would enter my gift card’s information, and it said there was no balance on the gift card, which I had gotten that day, completely packaged, pin NOT scratched off (I re-entered the gift card info multiple times). I still haven't heard back from customer service, and I am fairly certain they won't help me anyway. I am VERY dissatisfied with my experience, and like others have said, I would rate zero if I could.

Purchased a Apple Watch from the online store. Order the wrong Watch, so I return it to the store, they refunded me and ship it back while ordering me the right one. Here I am a month and half later with no Watch and $253.00 dollars out of my account. I have return to the store asking for help and they say they can't do nothing for me. I have called and called and can't get through to no one. I've emailed them with my problem and they give me no solid answer. I feel like I have been robbed and have no idea what to do, as of now I'm out $253 dollars. I recommend nobody shop at GameStop period.

It's been well over a month since I placed an online order for a game through Gamestop's website. I've sent three emails and have never received a response for any. I called and was on hold for over 2 hours before finally speaking with someone. They said they would send another copy and I would get a confirmation email stating this. This was one week ago and still no updates. I'm calling again and am currently on hold (been one hour so far) and will try to get a refund but I am fearing that they will never return my money.

If I could give zero stars, I would! First, let me say that I understand the NES classic is NEW and popular right now! I went to the Four Seasons Mall location here in Greensboro on black Friday, of course they were out of the NES controllers. So I put $5 down and preordered one. I ask the cashier what the expected date would be and I was told the first part of December. It is now December 20th and I do not have a controller.

Every time that I call, I get a different response and attitude from employees. I called again today and asked nicely if they had any controllers, was told 'no'. I asked how long since I had preordered in November and was told "Ugh, I don't know. We are no longer ordering them. They'll come in when they get here and we will call you". I'm sorry, but if I preorder an item and told it'd be here by a certain date, I want my damn item!! Thank goodness the NES Classic comes with one controller so that my kids can play it on Christmas day. I will NEVER buy anything from GameStop again!!

I placed an order on Dec. 9th. By Dec. 12th it was still not processed. I called and was on hold for 1 hr. 20 minutes before I got to speak with a foreign person. They stated it would be processed and sent for shipping the next day. Of course that didn't happen. They could not cancel the order even though it had never been shipped. It showed it was shipped online with a tracking number, but the item had never been brought to the Post office for shipping. Called back Dec. 16th, it had still not been sent to shipping so the foreign customer service person that I waited 1 hr. 45 minutes to speak with said she would have it replaced and expedited shipped. This did not happen either. Today is Dec. 20th and the item has still not been brought to the Post Office for shipping. TERRIBLE customer service who cannot help and no online options. I will NEVER buy anything from Gamestop again. Ever.

I made a purchase for my nephew on Dec 6th. On Dec. 8th payment was withdrawn from my card and I received a shipment confirmation. Item was supposed to be delivered on Dec.14th. I keep checking the conf. #. It is the same message. There has been no update since. It is now Dec. 20th and I have not received my item, I have emailed customer services 5 times with no response. I call every day, their customer service # 2 hours + on the phone with no response until I got tired and try again the next day. I call the number on my bank statement no response. I don't think there is anyone alive over there in Texas. Maybe I should drive up to Texas see if someone is there, maybe I'll get a faster response. Never again will I shop at Gamestop. Horrible shopping experience ever. They were quick to withdraw my money but took no time to answer my emails or calls. My nephew will have no gift to open on the 25th.

I am writing this review because I have been waiting for almost a month now for a replacement game that was lost in shipping. Gamestop told me on phone three times now on three different occasions that took an hour to get someone on phone each time as their reps work from their living room in another country and don't care that my game would definitely be on the way and a month later still nothing. Won't give me a tracking number or confirmation number. Just keeps assuring me it's on way. Please don't order from Gamestop. There are several great companies out there that sell new and used games. Bestbuy.com, gamefly.com, bullmoose.com. Please don't use Gamestop.com as you will have trouble I'm sure.

Called 3 times, total of 6 hrs 22 minutes on the phone. All 3 calls someone answered the phone that barely spoke English. I ordered a Playstation 4 VR kit which was the last remaining kit in the entire USA. In short, thanks to their poor service, they cancelled my order without my asking them to, and now my kids can't get this for X-mas because they are out of stock everywhere in the USA. That's the short story of the issue. Read further for all of the details and the horrors these people put me and every other person through. They need to be out of business.

I chose PayPal billing to use my account and the site switched it twice back to PayPal credit. TWICE! After finally purchasing, it still went through as PayPal credit even though my preferred method of payment clearly said PayPal - Checking. I called 3 times to change the billing option. The online page would not give me an option to change billing regardless of what support said. The first call the person refused to listen to me and said he would just retry the purchase. I said "no, I need to change it, that's why I called." He literally ignored me and said, "I went ahead and resubmitted your order for processing, you can call back again during regular business hours if it fails again". I said "it will fail, why I'm calling." He said, "call back tomorrow then after it fails and someone can assist you." Really? Waited 2 hr 7 minutes for that.

Sure enough, 5 more emails from PayPal claiming fraud. I called them to please allow the purchase and I would just open a Credit Card with them. Got that done. Called back again to Gamestop, 2 hrs!!! Pathetic! Got some lady that I couldn't understand. She said the order was processed successfully and I should receive a notification. I told her it didn't because I got the failed to process and I just wanted to change and pay with my bank credit card at this point as I have to get this since it is the last one in the country. She said, “I will resubmit to process.” I SAID, “NO! DO NOT REPROCESS WITH THE SAME PAYMENT!” She ignored me and did it anyways! I emailed support several times, no response at all!!! That's ridiculous.

I went to a store. They said, “Sorry about your luck,” and they are surprised they are still in business because they suck and people come in all the time for help because gamestop.com is screws them over. That's Gamestop's own store recommending to never use their online GameStop.com site. Sure enough, wasn't processed.

Called a 3rd time. Got again some Indian person that barely spoke English, didn't care that I had issues, just asked what I wanted to do. I said, "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS. THERE ARE NO MORE IN STOCK ANYWHERE and this is the last one that is in stock because it's sitting waiting to ship to me" She said, "I will cancel your order." WTF?!!?! Are you serious? Why would I do that if the one I have reserved for purchase is the last one I can order? That means there are no more so I get this one or I'm out. She said, "You can order again online after I cancel." No I can't. It won't let me because they show out of stock! She said, "I will reprocess your order." NO! Seriously??! I said it won't go through. I don't know why I just need to change payment so I can have this for Christmas. She said, "I reprocessed the order and you should receive a tracking number shortly."

Woke up today... "YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN CANCELLED" I CAN'T GET THIS NOW AND HAVE IT BY CHRISTMAS! They are out of stock and the one I had purchased and reserved is who knows where now but thanks to GameStop, we have 10 VR games, a new PS4, VR accessories and NO Playstation 4 VR headset. I called and again, took 1 hr 21 minutes, yet again, and the person said, "Your order was cancelled due to issue with payment." I said, "No. The issue was you. It always was you. I tried 3 times on the phone and 3 times via email to change payment. Instead you cancelled my order because someone there probably wanted to but it themselves since it was out of stock."

The person stated, "You can reorder it online and you will be fine." I said, "I can't, IT IS OUT OF STOCK! That was the last one!" Response, "Ohhh. That's too bad Sir. You can check back when they are available and try again then. Have a nice day." My response, "Go ** yourselves and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure NO ONE uses your company." No parents should go through all of this and have their kids let down because a business screwed them over and wasted days of time. So pissed off!

Where do I start? So I order a WII U online on 12/12/2016. I make a mistake in my email, so I try to contact them through the website. No phone number anywhere on the website. So I send them an email with my order information and ask them to correct the email address. No response and it has been five days. So on 12/14/2016, I look up the order information on their website. The status of the order is closed and there is a UPS tracking number. The status on UPS is the label is created but has not arrived at the UPS facility. So fast forward to 12/16/2016, I check the status of the tracking number on their site an UPS.COM.

Still in the same state printed, but not scanned. So I send them another email on the morning of 12/16/2016. Wait all day and go to a local GameStop store hoping they can help me. Unfortunately, they say there is nothing they can do (BTW: The local people were very friendly). Eventually they gave me an 800 number for corporate support. So on Saturday morning 12/17/2016, I call the 800 number. I was on hold for 1 hour and 30 minutes before a customer service rep (not sure you call this guy that) came on the line. First, I am cordial and tell him I want to know what is going on with my order. He then asks me for the order and the email address of the order. I am OK with that, but then he proceeds to confirm every piece of information from the phone number to the full billing address. I give him the information and he continues to ask for more information. I have to admit my patience was wearing pretty thin at this point and I kind of lost it.

In a very firm voice, I said, "You have more than enough information and all I want to know is did the order really shipped." He goes silent for like 20 or 30 seconds. Finally talks again and starts asking for more of my personal details. I totally lose it and say "Let me talk to a manager." He goes silent again and after 10 seconds hangs up on me. I wait 1 hour and 30 minutes for Game Stop to hang up on me. I just want to say I normally do not take the time to write negative reviews, but in this case I feel everyone needs to know how bad Game Stop's customer service really is. My recommendation is to NEVER do business with Game Stop and if you are reading this after the purchase, return the product. They do not belong in business.

I went into a Gamestop store to buy a PS3 and Madden 16. But after getting there they informed me that it was cheaper to order through their online site. So we placed an order for a used PS3 and new copy of Madden 16. When the order arrived the PS3 was filthy and the side was off and loose in the box, the game was a used Madden 16 case with a used copy of Madden 17. I called their "Customer Service" three separate times. First I was on hold for 45 mins without ever talking to anyone. Second was 1 hour 45 mins same result. Third I was on hold 2 hours and 30 mins and still no customer service. Days of trying and nothing but when I called a local store I was told "Nothing we can do" so I called the store I dealt with first and they offer me a replacement but it's used and I have to drive there. No offer to help make this right but they had 100 excuses for why this happened. Never again, Amazon from now on.

I ordered a Xbox 360 online from Gamestop. They sent me a bogus tracking number. I send three emails still have not heard anything. Called twice waited over an hour both times second time they hung up on me. So I never got to talk to anyone. They have my money and I have no product I have posted on Facebook and nobody responds. If I could give them a minus star I would. I don't know how to get my product. They have stolen my money. Please help me find my package this is the only gift my son is getting this year. Now he will have nothing under the tree Christmas morning.

If I could give them zero stars I honestly would. I placed an order two weeks ago for a two digital games. I got the one game three days after I placed the order but the other I'm still waiting for. I've emailed Gamestop twice with only automated responses, I've called them only to wait for an hour listening to ads for games I don't want. They charged my card for both games but I only received the one and they still have not emailed me back or picked up the phone because of "unusually high call volumes" yeah, I'm sure. I'm never buying from them again.

I made an order on 11/30 with overnight shipping. My order wasn't processed and shipped out until 12/04. Then UPS lost my package so I went to get help from Gamestop. Their website doesn't even have a customer service number, only email! I sent the email, and never got a reply back. Now it's been almost a week, and still no reply from them.

Gamestop Company Profile