1.04/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

384 Gamestop Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Ordered something online from Gamestop. Didn't arrive within weeks of their estimated shipping date. Contacted Customer Support; no response. Followed up with addition requests; no response. They are awful. Don't give them any of your money. Shop literally anywhere else. Customer Support Has Not Responded In 2 Weeks.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

If I could give a negative star rating this store would receive a -5! At the suggestion of a local store manager I placed an online order from them for a game my son desperately wanted because they didn't have in stock. I was guaranteed the game would b compatible with the new Xbox system he got for Christmas. I paid a premium to get this game in a hurry. It arrived three days after it was promised and there were 2 identical used copies of it, neither of which will work in his system.

Multiple attempts to reach the customer service number they provided on the invoice included in their package was met with a "Circuits Are Currently Busy" message regardless of the time of day! Out of options, I took both copies of this useless game to my store. I was offered 1/4 of what I JUST paid THEM to buy them back?! The arrogant desk flunkie had a 'sucks to be you' attitude that was infuriating! What recourse do I have in this matter? I don't think I'm ever buying anything online again! With the ratings they receive and the absence of anything you might call customer service, how do they manage to stay business!?

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

The store employees are super cool, but customer service...there is none. Full of crap and non-existing. Purchased 2 games before Christmas, still waiting for that refund that they promised. Thieves at higher levels, take your money and you have to scramble to get it back.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We bought 4 Xbox ones for Christmas gifts! One of them was faulty. Mind you they were Christmas gifts. So They weren't opened right away. We also bout 5 $100 gift cards to GameStop as well! We tried to just swap the one system but they wouldn't swap it!!! I'm extra upset because now my daughter is out of a game system and her gold membership! It's disgusting that I could spend so much money and they won't swap it out. I've gone to their store and called corporate! You're absolutely disgusting! No more money from my pocket will be spent there!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I purchased a game console in late November 2018 and it was suppose to come with a $50 gift card to be used towards a game purchase. The console arrived, but no gift card. It's been over a month and I spoke to Customer Service twice. They keep apologizing and ask I be patient while they fix the problem. It's Jan 2019 and I'm still waiting for them to resolve the issue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gamestop?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Tried to sign up and purchase something online at gamestop.com - don't do it! Kept looping me back to the sign-in and didn't allow me to purchase something! Once I finally purchased a downloadable game after speaking to a customer service rep, the download was NOT available. I could have gone to a store to purchase, and wouldn't have purchased this if it wasn't immediately downloadable. I believe this is not honest advertising! If it states 'downloadable' then once I purchase this it should be downloadable!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My husband sold many electronic products to them for quite a while and took store credit rather than cash - almost $400 is GONE! Missing - no record that it even existed! He also had 400,000+ rewards points "stolen" and used to purchase a whole bunch of gift cards in small dollar amounts. These were promised back to him over a month ago and today, still nothing! No one helps you! I'VE been dealing with them about this as well. It's unbelievable that they are allowed to STEAL MONEY from their customers! Yes - Money! My husband sold them items and now has zero dollars for it!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Fraud. We bought a digital gift card on 12/21 for my son for Christmas. 12/29 and we still have not received the email gift card. 1-call to customer service, 3-emails. Zero response. Stores are fine but ZERO customer service (you call an outsourced call center that relays messages to Gamestop - maybe), and their Ecommerce software charges credit cards but never sends email gift cards...

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I called Gamestop on 12/27/18 and spoke **. He quoted me the sale price of a particular PS4 game ($30.00). I offered to come in on my break from work and get it or charge it to my card and I would come the next day. He said, "Don't worry about it there are plenty. It is on sale till the first of the year." I said, "What if I come in this weekend and it is gone." He said, "We can send you one "free." It might just take 2 weeks to get there." I said, "OK" and hung up.

I called to go get it today (12/29) and the same male salesperson ** said it is no longer on sale. I repeated our conversation and he said, "I don't what to do. I know I told you that." I asked for the manager. He told me the manager was out of the store. He then proceeded to hand the phone to someone that identified himself as the Manager. I asked, "How can that be? I was just told he wasn't there." Reply, "Oh yeah, I am the floor manager at the moment."

I called back an hour later and the 2 young employees denied our interaction and the Manager believed them. Why would I lie and how would I know their names to make up a story if I didn't talk directly to them earlier??? The Manager REFUSED to give me the game at the price I was quoted. ($30.00). He said it was not $30.00 last week. It was $40.00. After a very dysfunctional conversation he said he would give it to me for $50.00. (It sells for $60.00.) I said if the $30.00 was an error and 2 sales people telling me it was $30 when It was $40.00 on sale - then a good businessman would give it to me for the sale price of $40.00. Nope, he said he would do $50.00 - not a bargain and not making me happy. I will call corporate and see if I get satisfaction. With 374 negative complaints before mine - they need to do something.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

You are wasting your time and life if you continue to support Gamestop. Let them rot and let them die. This message is towards the higher-ups, not customer service. When you buy a new game or system, their refund system and their trade in values are a JOKE! $96+ for a barely used PS4 slim 1 TB!? Get out of my face!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I ordered a Nintendo Switch console on Cyber Monday. I called a total of 4 times and I have had it. The first time was a week after I placed the order, the rep told me that the item is in the process of shipping. I called again a 2nd time and the rep told me that the first rep gave me false information and she will file a lost claim and I should get a email update on 12/24 receive my item by 12/28. I called again on 12/24 and there wasn’t an update. Today I called on 12/28 to just cancel my order. I’ve waited a month for my item and it’s nowhere to be seen. I will no longer order from Gamestop.com. They take your money immediately but do not fulfill orders. This is not a proper way to do business. They stated that they will issue me a refund in 7-10 days. If that doesn’t happen I will be disputing the transaction through PayPal.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I wish I can give them 0 stars! I ordered a Switch console on Black Friday so I can gift it to my daughter on Christmas. UPS claims the package was delivered and left outside. I never received my package. I contacted GameStop about it and they said they would open an investigation. Weeks went by and I heard nothing from anyone. I reached back out and they said the package was lost and I would receive a refund in 3-5 business days. Over a week went by and nothing so I reached back out just to hear, "Even though the package was left outside and went missing we can't help because it was delivered." I had to repurchase the Nintendo so my daughter can have it on Christmas and GameStop refuses to process my refund. They do not even respond to my emails.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I purchased ecard gift card on 12/23/18. I received both receipt for the $50.00 ecard, along with another email with the actual digital gift card certificate with a pin number on the evening of 12/23/18. I gave the electronic gift card the same night. The child I gave the ecard to attempted to use the ecard in a GameStop store on 12/27/18 and was told. The ecard had zero balance. I called the number listed on the receipt and waited 1 hour and 46 minutes to speak with a customer Service Representative named Brian. He was rude. He told me the card was used earlier today and there nothing he could do. When I told him it fraudly used after he reported it was used by someone named Leon ** online.

At this point, I requested the order e cancelled and I be given another ecard. The Representative stated there was nothing that he could do. I also requested the transaction number to file fraud claim. I was told since I was not purchaser of the transaction, he could not release the information. This is disgusting. GameStop needs to be boycotted. They are a horrible company. I will be following up to get my money back.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I will never ever buy from Gamestop again, Cyber Monday scam, no game system received and when I call, the hold is over an hour and then they start reviewing my order and the call drops and they never return my call and I am still trying... spoke with 2 manager so far and promised they will call me back and never did. The worst purchase experience ever, they are ripping customers off and I'm not the only one as you will read.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I ordered Nintendo Switch on Cyber Monday. It was supposed to come with a GameStop and Nintendo gift card. I got neither of the gift cards and it’s a month later. I see online I’m not the only one. This company is committing gift card fraud. Beware!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

No problem making in store purchases, but online is the pits and customer service is worse and usually little to no help. I have had trouble with making online purchases in the past, but they were minor. I feel so stupid entrusting this site with my Christmas shopping this year. I should've run when the site kept glitching and not allowing me to order. I finally got my $325 order and chose delivery, since some items were not available in the store. I get my box Friday evening, open it and there is nothing I ordered in the box. The stuff in the box is only worth $14 and wasn't even the complete order attached to the invoice inside my box.

Here it is Saturday and they claim to not be able to help me, that I need to first send their items back then they will process a new order for me. They guarantee I will receive the day before Christmas. I ask how is that possible if they aren't going to process this until they receive the items back? Welp, he hung up instead of answering the question. I contacted the guy whose items I received (his contact info was inside the box). He tells me, "No problem. Just keep it or trade it in." He said he contacted GameStop and they just replaced his missing items no return necessary. He came out on top with $325 worth of merch and his items which made him only out about 14 bucks...

If you're going to shop with them, I suggest going to the store or picking up at store. Also, use PayPal, the last time I used a card on their site my card info was stolen. At this point, the only way I can save Christmas for my son is go to the store and hope it's available... The products ordered were the only things he requested and he's such a sweet kid, he deserves to get them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I have never had a problem in an actual Gamestop store - but gamestop.com has been terrible! First - I paid for a new game - They send me a used game. VERY used, not sealed, ripped off label on it, etc. I called customer service (45 min wait time) and they apologized and said they would send a NEW game right out and after I got it I could send the old one back. A week later, when it was NOT received, I called again (hour wait time)...then I was told send the game back first and then they would give me a refund. I no longer wanted the game, just my money back. I did...

A week later when I did NOT get a refund, I called again (OVER AN HOUR WAIT TIME) - Now, they told me the refund was coming. I told them this was unacceptable and I want the refund NOW. I was assured that the refund would be processed in 2 days. 2 days later - NO REFUND - I am now on hold for the 2nd time today - why a 2nd time? They hung up on me the first time after 40 minutes of waiting on hold. PS: They hung up after asking me if my phone numbers was a good number to call back on. BUT THEY NEVER CALLED ME BACK. How can such a popular company not care AT ALL about their customers???

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I was in GameStop in Camden Wyoming, Delaware trying to purchase a Nintendo switch game. I was waiting in line while only 1 customer ahead of me was being helped, however there were 4 other employees all behind the counter not helping a single customer. After a lengthy exchange between the customer ahead of me the transaction was complete. I then moved to the counter for the employee to turn around and start talking to other employees not once acknowledging me. I sat there for a bit while they still chatted, again without a single recognition, or a simple "I'll be right with you sir". FOUR EMPLOYEES ALL WITHIN 5 FEET OF ME AND NOT A SINGLE ONE HELPED ME! Therefore, I walked out and purchased my game online. It's no wonder this company is going out of business.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I was trying to buy something for my son for Christmas that was exclusive to them and in high demand. Their site rejected three types of payment for unknown reasons. I reached out to them and got a form email back 24 hrs later saying they would contact me. They never did. I called my bank, no problems there. Tried to purchase again, still not able to get them on the phone, and they were out of the item. Ended up buying it on Amazon for a lot more. Still haven’t heard back from customer service. I’ve had good experiences in the store but will never shop their site again. They made it clear that they don’t need my business.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered a Nintendo Switch controller for my son's Christmas resent on 12/2 and paid for a rush order. I have emailed them 4 times asking them where it was as it just sat in the processing queue and not a single response. It's 12/19 and they now claim to have delivered to a locked parcel box but it is not there. They dont answer their phone nor respond to email. DONT ORDER ANYTHING FROM THIS FAILING POS COMPANY!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I never take too much time to write reviews unless I am really frustrated or extremely impressed. This was the worst experience I have ever had with a customer service department. I spent three hours on the phone with them being hung up on twice by representatives who would tell me to my to my ACCOUNT SING IN because they could not pronounce sign. They also refused to put me on the phone with a supervisor and kept sending me to the main line to hold for another hour. All of this because I was asking for a gift receipt for an order I placed online. Finally, they refused to give it to me. This is the last time I will ever order from them. I would rather go to Amazon or other sites where they have better customer service.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We pre-ordered a PlayStation Mini from Gamestop. As reviews came out we decided we did not want it anymore. We cancelled our order before the release date, we got an email confirming our cancellation. Then magically when the release date came they took $100 dollars out of our account. We called immediately to tell them we had cancelled and can they please cancel it again and refund us. The wait was over an hour on the phone. When we got through, mind you the same day the order went through, they said it was too late to cancel because it had already been processed and shipped. The best we could do is wait for the package and then physically bring it to a store to return.

So weeks go by and online our order is sitting in processing. We have not received any tracking or shipping information. We call again, wait 35 minutes. The guy says sorry and that he will prioritize our shipping. So finally we get tracking and UPS is to deliver on a Thursday. My fiance had the day off and waiting for UPS. We get a notice that it has been delivered via email but yet no one knocked on the door or delivered it. Now, I know that is a UPS issue, however it took us 5 hours and 3 phone calls to get Gamestop to finally issue us a refund. The first two times they were refusing to talk to us because we could not verify our phone number, because they apparently had some random wrong phone number listed on our account. We finally logged in online and looked up the order to try and see what number they had. It was some random number neither of us recognized.

The wait times for customer service are ridiculous, hours long. The people are obviously in India or somewhere and have very little control over what they can actually do to help you. They are not rude, just very unhelpful. Their systems are obviously messed up and cannot be trusted. I would order anywhere but here for pre-orders. For us, this will have been our last time ever dealing with them.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I had pre-ordered a Funko Pop Toy from Gamestop a month before the toy was suppose to be released. 5 days after the release date I noticed that I haven't received any form of notification of my order from Gamestop, whether it be an email or phone call. When I called them to inquire about my order the representative told me that toy is out of stock. I asked her how can it be out of stock and I not receive one when I pre-ordered it. She couldn't answer that question and couldn't even let me know when it will be back in stock because it falls on the manufacturer, Funko.

The problem isn't the manufacturer, it's Gamestop! They accept a large amount of demand for a product prior to even getting an idea of how much they will be getting of that product! When you pre-order a product it's because you are telling them company to hold that product for you on the day of it's released. It's a means to guaranteeing you get what you want to purchase! How can you accept pre-orders and not deliver on selling the product?!

To top it off they even charged me! They never got in touch with me to let me know it's out of stock, they have no clue when they will be receiving more of the product, they charged me for the product and I'm suppose to just sit around and wait until they find out. This toy was for a child for Christmas and even if it wasn't this still wouldn't be acceptable under any circumstance! They only care about their pockets and not the consumer! Never buy from Gamestop!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I will never purchase from Gamestop.com again. This company seems to be a big fraud. They charged my credit card 3 times for the single item that I ordered. They canceled without notifying me. I called to discuss the matter with them and was on hold for 1 hour 6 minutes only to be told that a manager would call me within 24 hours. Well, it has been over 24 hours and no call. I will never purchase from this company again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered Madden 19 on November 26 and have yet to receive my shipment. I have contacted GameStop several times and the representatives kept telling me to check back in 2 days because there is a delay. I have yet to receive my item. I will NEVER order from GameStop again!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I ordered a Nintendo Switch online on Black Friday, but I haven't received the gift card for order placed. I also placed an order for Super Mario game but I haven't received the game. I called them many times, but the issue is not yet resolved. I won't ever buy from Gamestop. Very very bad customer experience.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Ordered the Switch with 35.00 eshop gift card and 50.00 Game Stop gift card. Eshop gift card was listed when I hit submit but when I got the order confirmation is was gone. Went to the store, they were very nice and fixed the issues. I asked about the Game Stop gift card, I was told it takes few days to get it. 3 weeks later I don't have it. I've called customer service as well as responded to their email where they asked to be contact if the gift card isn't received within 48 hours. No luck, no one seems to know anything. So, the fight continues to get them to honor their ad.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

The stores and online business are two separate entities that rely heavily on each other. They have a preorder policy that they do not follow. The staff are haughty about their company policies and the items they have available. They paid me little to no attention when I asked to update my information for my online order that I did in store. The store I went to has had a broken window for the last 4 months. And has been deteriorating since I started going there.

My overall experience with GameStop has taken a sharp drop in quality and service. They are starting to flounder as a company because they lack cohesion with their physical retailers and online services. Their staff are very uninformed about their own company policies stating that they don't even know about something that could potentially involve them and be quite critical to the system described on their online service. This company is going down in my opinion just like Toys R Us before it. They lacked a proper strategy and business model to work against their competitors.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I purchased a Nintendo Switch on Black Friday, order was cancelled 3 day later for no reason. "Luckily" I had bought another on Cyber-Monday, and I said luckily in quotes, because this order it's been a nightmare. The Cyber-Monday purchased was a Nintendo Switch Console, a GameStop Gift Card for $50 and a Nintendo eCard for $35. I received the console, but after almost 2 weeks, there's no trace of the gift cards.

I call several times, with ridiculous waiting times and having to hang up with being able to speak with anybody: first call, 1 hr 30 min.; second call 45 minutes; third call 2 hrs. 3 min.; fourth call 1 hr. 52 min.; fifth call 1 hr. 13 min. I stop at a store, just to have a "I can't help you with online orders..." and I even waited 35 min. in the store, as employee used the "internal line". I email customer service (no answer), tweet 'em and send messages via Twitter and still, no answer... WTH? Horrible customer service, I'll never-ever-ever purchase anything from them again. This company it's a joke... In the meantime, here I am, not knowing if I ever going to see those gift cards.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I ordered the Nintendo Switch with Mario Kart bundle and a $50 gift card on Wednesday's Black Friday deal on the Gamestop website. I have a confirmation number saying that I would get it. My order was canceled 4 days later without warning. I missed out ordering it elsewhere for that price and I miss out on the gift card too. I contacted customer service and they offered no solution. I reported them to Better Business Bureau and they still didn't help me. Bad service. If there was a problem with my order, why not contact me so that I can resolve it and get my item? My guess is there were too many orders placed so they canceled some orders. It looks like they cancel a lot of orders. I won't shop there anymore. They ruined Christmas.

Gamestop Company Information