1.08/5

396 Gamestop Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 13, 2019

I purchased an Xbox One S from the store on 2nd street. I had the game for 2 weeks and it just didnt work properly. I spent 200 plus in the store and there is a warranty. David told me they do not have anything in store to replace the broken game system. I was within my warranty but the best thing to do would be to find another store and take it there. I asked him to call the stores manager and he refused. He said he could sell me another game but it would cost another 200 dollars. Nice Gamestop. You ripped off a single mom with a child. This was in Louisville KY close to RofL on 2nd street.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I paid $50 for a used game. I've been a customer from GS for YEARS and usually buy used (not normally burned). Got a 2 disc game with a 1 disc case. Now I totally get that I'm buying used, but come on. At least send me a 3rd party case, or a broken case so I can protect the discs... I received 2 games in those paper envelopes sandwiched in the 1 disc case. That was my first and last experience with buying something thru gamestop.com.

Get expert buying tips about Retail Stores and Shopping delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I never receive the Nintendo DS that my son order since January 2019... Called the customer service and filed for item was not received... They told me that they will send a new one out... Called again to do follow up they said no one filed for the what happen so they said they will file it. So I thought everything will be fine because they that told me it will take 7 to 10 days. So I again feel that everything will be fine until 7 to ten days and I follow up again and I just find out there will be an investigation first. Really??? I remember the last time I called was Feb 6 but the case was filed Feb 18 really... This is so ridiculous.

My son bought the product from them because he has been saving his money from his lunch money so he can buy the merchandise... Seriously this company suck... and to look at it if you guys have problem with the company that deliver your product then it suppose to be your company versus the mail company not us that has to suffer because the company you work with is having issue delivering your product... Worst ever experience for my son... I hope one day your company will shut down and lose business... Don't ever trust this company.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I purchased a Nintendo Switch for my daughter for Christmas. The offer came with a $50 gift card which we have never received. This was supposed to be a part of her Christmas gift and arrive before Christmas. I would not have bought the Switch from Gamestop had I known how horrible their customer service is. We never received our $50 gift card and I have called customer service multiple times. When you call, you have to hold for 10 min minimum no matter what time of day you call. I was told that they emailed me the card and that it was cashed. It wasn't cashed by any member of my family and we never received the promised gift card. I find it sad that they do not care about how they treat their customers. I will not be going into Gamestop stores ever again with my daughter or purchase anything online.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I am very disappointed about Gamestop for not having a bathroom. Every time I go there guess what. There isn't one. I get so mad that they have no bathroom and sometimes I get the thought of suing Gamestop but nah. I think not. Al the kids won't be able to buy games but if they don't have a bathroom the next Gamestop I see I'm going to buy a RPG and blow it up then I'm going to sue it. I'm tired of going to Gamestop and having to dish Gamestop, make a bathroom or else.

=========NOTE TO APPROVER:===============================================================================================

Changed "dishware" to "dish" (subject others to criticism or punishment) which makes more sense.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gamestop?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Ordered a refurbished iPhoneX for Christmas. It was delivered late. Took to AT&T for SIM card. Was told it was stolen. Service told me to exchange at a store and stores told me they can’t sell but turn in to headquarters. They then said I needed to return before they send a new one. Sent it back next day and took over 2 weeks for them to receive and they told me they would send another out ASAP. Next day received notice from PayPal that transaction was cancelled. When I called again, they told me they were not going to sell me one. They even stopped answering calls from my cell so I had to call from another phone. Horrible service - do not waste your time. We found another website and all good. GameStop even sent a link to review them that didn’t work!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I could not tell you yet if the game was any good. I can tell you that the online ordering experience was complete trash. I am an "elite pro" member at Gamestop - a status that I paid $30.00 for last year before the elite pro program failed (my status as elite pro expires in April of this year). With this, I am entitled to free two day shipping. Neat. Except that Gamestop instead charges an exorbitant handling fee that is over 5 dollars. After I placed the order, I tried cancelling it online only to have the website hang-up on me every time I went to submit a message requesting the cancellation - note that this was only a few minutes after placing the order. So I let the order go. 6 days later (what happened to two day shipping?), a package arrives. Right box... wrong game! Amazing.

I ordered Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far and received Kingdom Hearts: 2.8 HD Final Chapter Prologue. My only recourse is to return it and hope they send back the correct game. So it will likely be at least a full week until this happens. Lesson learned? Gamestop.com sucks and I'm only buying in store until my elite pro status expires, following which I will only be ordering from Amazon. As a final note about Gamestop.com. They recently ran a New Year's buy 2 get 1 deal in which they jacked up the prices on used games. At that time, it was CHEAPER TO BUY THEM NEW. What a complete load of BS.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I purchased a PS4 for my son for the Black Friday 2018. I received the additional accessories I ordered, controllers, games, charging case, downloaded online card and insurance. It all arrived. EXCEPT THE PS4!!! I started calling 2 weeks before Christmas. Told to give it a week. They will get in touch with UPS. First of all I emailed multiple times. NO ANSWER!!! Sometimes the wait on hold is up to 80 mins. at times. To speak to someone who's not even in the US! They give me a different order number to try and track it. No use. I filed a complaint with UPS as well. I've spoken to GameStop 4 times already. Finally I asked for a refund of the console. Still waiting. It been 20 days. So far no refund. WHAT RECOURSE DO I have at this point. The PS4 Call of Duty bundle was expensive. Also I have all accessories for a game console I can't use. What do I do? This was the worst Christmas gift for my son, because he never received it.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

GameStop is, by far, the worst and most despicable company I have ever dealt with. I've been a loyal customer for almost two decades and I just had the most important purchase I've ever made from them cancelled on me due to their own incompetence. I called customer support and they had the nerve to insult me by issuing me a $25 promo code, for an original over $400 purchase, that can't even be used in store. I will never, EVER purchase from this **, ignorant, disgusting company again and I will make damn sure everyone I know doesn't either. I will also post this review everywhere I possibly can.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I bought 2 different headphones/headsets for PS4 from a GameStop both of them broke within months. The store did not want to exchange or refund my money. Spent well over $80 on each set. Never spending money at this store again. They just wanted me to buy more headphones. Save your money and go to Best Buy!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

This year my teenage son decided to save his money to purchase his own video games on Black Friday week. On November 26 my son went into our local GameStop located in Westfall PA and purchased three XBOX gift cards. His plan was to purchase the gift cards and then order the games online because he doesn't have his own personal credit card to purchase the games directly online.

My son was so excited until he entered the 3rd gift card code into the computer. It gave him an error message that said, "This code has been deactivated." When we reported to GameStop they stated it was a "Microsoft Issue." When we contacted Microsoft they told us they could not help us because the retailer, (GameStop) sold us a "deactivated gift card." Microsoft said they should be the ones to return the money to us or issue us a new gift card. I tried contacted GameStop over 5 times and they kept telling me they were going to call me back but never did. I reached out to them via email. After the 2nd attempt they told me they weren't going to issue me a new card or reimburse the money. We am so upset because GameStop basically stole from my teenage son and they are getting away with it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Purchased a brand new Nintendo Switch. We had one and thought it was broken (it was outside the window for GameStop return). Upon plugging in the newly purchased one, it also didn’t work. The issue was the television not the console. Went into store and was told they could give us $190. We spent $362.42 less than 3 weeks prior. We were then told we should sell it online as it would be better than their policy. Friendly workers in store but not satisfied.

Called GameStop customer service. Spoke to man who could not give me refund. Asked to speak to his supervisor. Hunter was the floor manager’s name and ID was **. He also could not issue me a refund. I requested to speak to his manager and he would not provide. He became very defensive and raised his voice at me more than once. I do not appreciate the intimidation nor the defensiveness. He told me it is “against their policy” to give us any information to contact a floor manager supervisor. I requested where I might find this information to verify what he claimed. He said it is an internal policy and I can’t see it.

I must admit, I had to laugh at this as it was the most ludicrous policy I had ever heard. I told him as such and explained I would be spreading the word and contacting corporate. He sarcastically offered me the CEOs number and told me he was ending the call multiple times when I requested to know information about him or his supervisor. Very rude and completely unacceptable. Emailed GameStop customer service an hour ago. We will see what their response entails.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Ordered something online from Gamestop. Didn't arrive within weeks of their estimated shipping date. Contacted Customer Support; no response. Followed up with addition requests; no response. They are awful. Don't give them any of your money. Shop literally anywhere else. Customer Support Has Not Responded In 2 Weeks.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

If I could give a negative star rating this store would receive a -5! At the suggestion of a local store manager I placed an online order from them for a game my son desperately wanted because they didn't have in stock. I was guaranteed the game would b compatible with the new Xbox system he got for Christmas. I paid a premium to get this game in a hurry. It arrived three days after it was promised and there were 2 identical used copies of it, neither of which will work in his system.

Multiple attempts to reach the customer service number they provided on the invoice included in their package was met with a "Circuits Are Currently Busy" message regardless of the time of day! Out of options, I took both copies of this useless game to my store. I was offered 1/4 of what I JUST paid THEM to buy them back?! The arrogant desk flunkie had a 'sucks to be you' attitude that was infuriating! What recourse do I have in this matter? I don't think I'm ever buying anything online again! With the ratings they receive and the absence of anything you might call customer service, how do they manage to stay business!?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

The store employees are super cool, but customer service...there is none. Full of crap and non-existing. Purchased 2 games before Christmas, still waiting for that refund that they promised. Thieves at higher levels, take your money and you have to scramble to get it back.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We bought 4 Xbox ones for Christmas gifts! One of them was faulty. Mind you they were Christmas gifts. So They weren't opened right away. We also bout 5 $100 gift cards to GameStop as well! We tried to just swap the one system but they wouldn't swap it!!! I'm extra upset because now my daughter is out of a game system and her gold membership! It's disgusting that I could spend so much money and they won't swap it out. I've gone to their store and called corporate! You're absolutely disgusting! No more money from my pocket will be spent there!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I purchased a game console in late November 2018 and it was suppose to come with a $50 gift card to be used towards a game purchase. The console arrived, but no gift card. It's been over a month and I spoke to Customer Service twice. They keep apologizing and ask I be patient while they fix the problem. It's Jan 2019 and I'm still waiting for them to resolve the issue.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Tried to sign up and purchase something online at gamestop.com - don't do it! Kept looping me back to the sign-in and didn't allow me to purchase something! Once I finally purchased a downloadable game after speaking to a customer service rep, the download was NOT available. I could have gone to a store to purchase, and wouldn't have purchased this if it wasn't immediately downloadable. I believe this is not honest advertising! If it states 'downloadable' then once I purchase this it should be downloadable!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My husband sold many electronic products to them for quite a while and took store credit rather than cash - almost $400 is GONE! Missing - no record that it even existed! He also had 400,000+ rewards points "stolen" and used to purchase a whole bunch of gift cards in small dollar amounts. These were promised back to him over a month ago and today, still nothing! No one helps you! I'VE been dealing with them about this as well. It's unbelievable that they are allowed to STEAL MONEY from their customers! Yes - Money! My husband sold them items and now has zero dollars for it!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Fraud. We bought a digital gift card on 12/21 for my son for Christmas. 12/29 and we still have not received the email gift card. 1-call to customer service, 3-emails. Zero response. Stores are fine but ZERO customer service (you call an outsourced call center that relays messages to Gamestop - maybe), and their Ecommerce software charges credit cards but never sends email gift cards...

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I called Gamestop on 12/27/18 and spoke **. He quoted me the sale price of a particular PS4 game ($30.00). I offered to come in on my break from work and get it or charge it to my card and I would come the next day. He said, "Don't worry about it there are plenty. It is on sale till the first of the year." I said, "What if I come in this weekend and it is gone." He said, "We can send you one "free." It might just take 2 weeks to get there." I said, "OK" and hung up.

I called to go get it today (12/29) and the same male salesperson ** said it is no longer on sale. I repeated our conversation and he said, "I don't what to do. I know I told you that." I asked for the manager. He told me the manager was out of the store. He then proceeded to hand the phone to someone that identified himself as the Manager. I asked, "How can that be? I was just told he wasn't there." Reply, "Oh yeah, I am the floor manager at the moment."

I called back an hour later and the 2 young employees denied our interaction and the Manager believed them. Why would I lie and how would I know their names to make up a story if I didn't talk directly to them earlier??? The Manager REFUSED to give me the game at the price I was quoted. ($30.00). He said it was not $30.00 last week. It was $40.00. After a very dysfunctional conversation he said he would give it to me for $50.00. (It sells for $60.00.) I said if the $30.00 was an error and 2 sales people telling me it was $30 when It was $40.00 on sale - then a good businessman would give it to me for the sale price of $40.00. Nope, he said he would do $50.00 - not a bargain and not making me happy. I will call corporate and see if I get satisfaction. With 374 negative complaints before mine - they need to do something.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

You are wasting your time and life if you continue to support Gamestop. Let them rot and let them die. This message is towards the higher-ups, not customer service. When you buy a new game or system, their refund system and their trade in values are a JOKE! $96+ for a barely used PS4 slim 1 TB!? Get out of my face!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I ordered a Nintendo Switch console on Cyber Monday. I called a total of 4 times and I have had it. The first time was a week after I placed the order, the rep told me that the item is in the process of shipping. I called again a 2nd time and the rep told me that the first rep gave me false information and she will file a lost claim and I should get a email update on 12/24 receive my item by 12/28. I called again on 12/24 and there wasn’t an update. Today I called on 12/28 to just cancel my order. I’ve waited a month for my item and it’s nowhere to be seen. I will no longer order from Gamestop.com. They take your money immediately but do not fulfill orders. This is not a proper way to do business. They stated that they will issue me a refund in 7-10 days. If that doesn’t happen I will be disputing the transaction through PayPal.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I wish I can give them 0 stars! I ordered a Switch console on Black Friday so I can gift it to my daughter on Christmas. UPS claims the package was delivered and left outside. I never received my package. I contacted GameStop about it and they said they would open an investigation. Weeks went by and I heard nothing from anyone. I reached back out and they said the package was lost and I would receive a refund in 3-5 business days. Over a week went by and nothing so I reached back out just to hear, "Even though the package was left outside and went missing we can't help because it was delivered." I had to repurchase the Nintendo so my daughter can have it on Christmas and GameStop refuses to process my refund. They do not even respond to my emails.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I purchased ecard gift card on 12/23/18. I received both receipt for the $50.00 ecard, along with another email with the actual digital gift card certificate with a pin number on the evening of 12/23/18. I gave the electronic gift card the same night. The child I gave the ecard to attempted to use the ecard in a GameStop store on 12/27/18 and was told. The ecard had zero balance. I called the number listed on the receipt and waited 1 hour and 46 minutes to speak with a customer Service Representative named Brian. He was rude. He told me the card was used earlier today and there nothing he could do. When I told him it fraudly used after he reported it was used by someone named Leon ** online.

At this point, I requested the order e cancelled and I be given another ecard. The Representative stated there was nothing that he could do. I also requested the transaction number to file fraud claim. I was told since I was not purchaser of the transaction, he could not release the information. This is disgusting. GameStop needs to be boycotted. They are a horrible company. I will be following up to get my money back.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I will never ever buy from Gamestop again, Cyber Monday scam, no game system received and when I call, the hold is over an hour and then they start reviewing my order and the call drops and they never return my call and I am still trying... spoke with 2 manager so far and promised they will call me back and never did. The worst purchase experience ever, they are ripping customers off and I'm not the only one as you will read.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I ordered Nintendo Switch on Cyber Monday. It was supposed to come with a GameStop and Nintendo gift card. I got neither of the gift cards and it’s a month later. I see online I’m not the only one. This company is committing gift card fraud. Beware!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

No problem making in store purchases, but online is the pits and customer service is worse and usually little to no help. I have had trouble with making online purchases in the past, but they were minor. I feel so stupid entrusting this site with my Christmas shopping this year. I should've run when the site kept glitching and not allowing me to order. I finally got my $325 order and chose delivery, since some items were not available in the store. I get my box Friday evening, open it and there is nothing I ordered in the box. The stuff in the box is only worth $14 and wasn't even the complete order attached to the invoice inside my box.

Here it is Saturday and they claim to not be able to help me, that I need to first send their items back then they will process a new order for me. They guarantee I will receive the day before Christmas. I ask how is that possible if they aren't going to process this until they receive the items back? Welp, he hung up instead of answering the question. I contacted the guy whose items I received (his contact info was inside the box). He tells me, "No problem. Just keep it or trade it in." He said he contacted GameStop and they just replaced his missing items no return necessary. He came out on top with $325 worth of merch and his items which made him only out about 14 bucks...

If you're going to shop with them, I suggest going to the store or picking up at store. Also, use PayPal, the last time I used a card on their site my card info was stolen. At this point, the only way I can save Christmas for my son is go to the store and hope it's available... The products ordered were the only things he requested and he's such a sweet kid, he deserves to get them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I have never had a problem in an actual Gamestop store - but gamestop.com has been terrible! First - I paid for a new game - They send me a used game. VERY used, not sealed, ripped off label on it, etc. I called customer service (45 min wait time) and they apologized and said they would send a NEW game right out and after I got it I could send the old one back. A week later, when it was NOT received, I called again (hour wait time)...then I was told send the game back first and then they would give me a refund. I no longer wanted the game, just my money back. I did...

A week later when I did NOT get a refund, I called again (OVER AN HOUR WAIT TIME) - Now, they told me the refund was coming. I told them this was unacceptable and I want the refund NOW. I was assured that the refund would be processed in 2 days. 2 days later - NO REFUND - I am now on hold for the 2nd time today - why a 2nd time? They hung up on me the first time after 40 minutes of waiting on hold. PS: They hung up after asking me if my phone numbers was a good number to call back on. BUT THEY NEVER CALLED ME BACK. How can such a popular company not care AT ALL about their customers???

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I was in GameStop in Camden Wyoming, Delaware trying to purchase a Nintendo switch game. I was waiting in line while only 1 customer ahead of me was being helped, however there were 4 other employees all behind the counter not helping a single customer. After a lengthy exchange between the customer ahead of me the transaction was complete. I then moved to the counter for the employee to turn around and start talking to other employees not once acknowledging me. I sat there for a bit while they still chatted, again without a single recognition, or a simple "I'll be right with you sir". FOUR EMPLOYEES ALL WITHIN 5 FEET OF ME AND NOT A SINGLE ONE HELPED ME! Therefore, I walked out and purchased my game online. It's no wonder this company is going out of business.

Gamestop Company Information