1.14/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

273 Gamestop Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I ordered 20 games from Gamestop, worth over $300 USD. 2 copies of the game are NOT factory sealed. Local Gamestop wouldn't accept the return, due to it's been past 7 days. What? And asked me to send them back by mail for full refund. There is no way to find out the return shipping address, it's not listed on the return label. Plus, I have to pay for the return shipping cost. This is my first and last purchase from Gamestop. Total Rip Off!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Renewed my Pro Membership online. The money was deducted from my account, and then Gamestop cancelled the order for whatever reason. I called customer service and it took 35 minutes for someone to answer. Raul was of no help. He couldn't explain why it was cancelled, but that it was a false order… Whatever that means. So I was advised to call my bank and get it refunded, what a drag.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I had the most awful experience at my local Gamestop in Harrison Arkansas. I pre order Call of Duty WW2. I am Not Happy with the game. I ask for a full refund having my receipt and within the time limit. The clerk told me he can't do this. He said, "I can give you a $32.50 store credit or $22.00 dollars in cash." After paying over $65.00 for the game. I told him what a rip off and I don't think this was fair. Then he told me to get the ** Out of his store. I did. I am disabled due to COPD and other health issues. I contacted Gamestop corporate headquarters and explain the experience to them. They told me a district Manager would call me within 72 hours. We will see. That employee needs to be fired. I will never shop at another Gamestop store ever!!! Would you?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I ordered my nephew an online gift card for his 12th birthday, two days ago. Today is his birthday, and Gamestop never sent the gift certificate. I called their customer service phone number, and after waiting 35 minutes, reached a girl who took my name, and my *phone number*. She said she was going to put me on a brief hold while she looked up the information. 30 seconds later, the call got disconnected. I waited, but she never called back, even though I had just provided her with my phone number. I tried to call back, and was advised that the hold time to reach a representative was now at least 45 minutes. This has been a horrible experience, for what should be a simple process. This will be the last time I order anything from Gamestop.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I had asked my wife to take in 11 games to trade in for Forza 7 on the Xbox One platform as I was unable to do so myself. Upon her return from that and various other errands she informed me it was not in stock and had to be ordered. As the game is over a month old I assumed a day or two until I received it until I saw the receipt stating almost a two week wait. I obviously assumed one of their horses on their team pulling the wagon that hauls their shipments must have thrown a shoe or else their game production facility was striking again.

My wife returned to the store after an hour waiting on the phone to cancel the order only to find out the not only would Gamestop not cancel the order but also would not return my trades unless we paid the new cost that they would be selling my games for. About $350 versus the $50 I was given in credit... That being said I will never use Gamestop again for any purchase regardless of the fact I have primarily used them for almost six years now making at least one purchase per month. This was my first time attempting to trade in games.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gamestop?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Every time I purchase a product at their stores I have noticed that within less than 2 months their merchandise breaks. I bought a charger for my son’s Xbox controllers and within 2 months it no longer works. I have purchased him numerous Xbox controllers with the same issue and now experienced the same thing with his Xbox headset. So ridiculous!!! I just bought it a little over a month ago for his birthday. All of this stuff is NOT cheap either. It is so frustrating too because who keeps all the receipts for that long. I shouldn’t have to. Seriously…

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I called corporate store (817-424-2000) because I was in line since 7 am to confirm that I was not wasting my time waiting in line for the console and I was assured 3 TIMES that the store had it in stock and that since I was the first one I was guarantee to have one with me today. So after the store finally opened, at 10:00 am, the guy told me, with an attitude, that they didn't have it in stock yet, that they were "in transit" and that I didn't have to call corporate to find out if they had in stock. I proceed to call Corporate, again, and now they are saying that they never told anyone that they were going to have any console available today and that I would have to wait in line when it becomes available, like the rest.

I was transferred to 3 different "supervisors" but the last one, Nathan Supervisor at corporate, was the worst one. No human empathy whatsoever, I asked for them to review the notes and listen to the conversation that I had and he said that he will, but will be handled internally and that I still will have to wait when it becomes online and do the line like everyone else, after I spent 3 hours waiting for the store to open and 1 hour on the phone. He refused to escalate the situation to the district manager or provide me with his information. Then the Super NES was released. I have a very bad experience, also at the same store, where they were telling people that they didn't have it at the store yet selling it to their friends and random people that were coming in.

I made a complaint and yet, was "handled" internally. I want someone from corporate that have power enough to contact me. I have been trying to get this the right way for my son's birthday, which happens to be today, October 11th (he turned 10) and is currently at the hospital and I was so looking forward to make his 10th birthday a very unforgettable one... I am a pro member and all the comments from the guy from corporate that told me that they had it and that also called the store to double check that they had it, are there and they can always listen to the conversation. Please, I need to get that Super NES classic for my son today.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

GameStop - Eagle Ridge Mall in Lake Wales, Florida - Location - The issue I had was not related in any way to this/his store or to the franchise company of GameStop. The issue was actually caused by an outside company and related to internet access. The owner still fixed it solely to keep his customers happy. I really appreciated this and thus I will be doing more video game business here versus online.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I preorder NBA 2k18 from the website. It took almost 2 weeks for them to tell me they sent the game but I never received it. I call about it on a Friday and they promised me they would overnight me a copy of the game and I should receive it by Monday. Come Monday and still no game. I call back and wait another 45 minutes for someone to pick up the phone, when I finally spoke with someone they had no record of a game being shipped to me so I asked for a supervisor. When I spoke with the supervisor he ensured me that I would have a refund within 5 days. No refund was given.

I called again today to check the status of my refund and she told me that there was no notes about a refund and I was never given. I have been waiting over 3 weeks for a game that I preordered in order to get it early. The customer service was horrible. When I spoke with another supervisor today she acted as if she didn't care and was trying to rush me off the phone. I could have just went to the store and purchased the game if I would have known I would have to wait almost a month after the game came out. I am very disappointed in the way I was treated as a customer. Someone needs to be held liable and I need my money back so I can go get the game from somewhere else or I need my game. There is no reason I should have to wait this long for something that I preordered and should have received early. Apparently I can't get any help from the Gamestop customer service so I don't know what to do.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I purchased a PS4 for my son in July. In August, the controller stopped working. I took the controller to a Gamestop store in town and was told I would have to bring my system in so they can test it. I thought that was ridiculous. I'm sure they have systems there to test it! I called customer service about 3 weeks ago, waited for an hour to speak with someone and was told a new controller would be sent out. I called today (waited 20 mins) to see what happened to the remote and they informed me I would have to send the whole bundle back, and I'm sure wait 2 months to get a new system back. I informed the rep that I'm just going to purchase another controller for my son, but I will never shop at Gamestop again. I have spent lots of money at Gamestop and it should not be this difficult to receive a replacement controller that was obviously defective from the start. Very poor service.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

My son and I accidentally purchased a downloadable expansion pack for the wrong gaming platform. We never redeemed the download code and immediately purchased it again for the correct platform. I then proceeded to sit on hold for an hour to be told, very rudely, that it was my mistake and they do not issue refunds on downloadable content.

There is no way I'll believe that they are unable to track and confirm whether or not a download code has been redeemed or acknowledge that I re-purchased the same game on a different platform within the same hour. Obviously they can track redemptions because if you try and redeem a code a 2nd time it won't work again. This is total fraud. I can't believe GameStop will happily keep a child's hard earned video game money and hide behind a crappy policy. Granted we did make a little mistake but that should not result in a $20 +tax win for GameStop.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I could not believe what was being done when I went there to trade in my son's PS3 for a PS4. They connected the PS3 to some old beat up tv and said the system was causing the screen image to flicker and bounce. They offered me 25.00 for the system and 12 games. Completely dishonest. I connected that PS3 to 4 different tvs in my house after that with no issue whatsoever. Needless to say I purchased the PS4 elsewhere and won't ever do business with GameStop again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

11 days after sending a Customer Support inquiry I finally got a response. Free shipping by shipping to the store was not even an option on the website - problem with the functionality. I sent a separate message to Gamestop and that response took 8 days and the solution was to call Gamestop corporate... after the items were already mailed. Such a frustrating company. I'm using Amazon and Walmart from now on.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Reserved a New turquoise 2DS XL handheld on their website last week. I came in Saturday near my location when they said they did not have the turquoise, they had the pukey green and white version. The management made a call to the mall location to see if they carried the turquoise. The managers from the mall location said they did have it. Went over there and had to wait 10 minutes in line due to a lot amount of people. After 10 minutes I told them I was the person from the other location seeking a turquoise colored version. One of their employees looked at the back and their inventory and said they did not carry it until their shipment next morning. I decided to make a down payment for it and pick it up the next day. Wasted my time traveling over here on the bus.

Couldn't make it in yesterday due to bad weather and no buses on Sundays, I came in just today to pick it up and yet another delay, their systems wasn't working. I did other errands and waited for a few hours no problem. I come back and their systems still wasn't working. The manager said the mall location has gotten their inventory screwed up and they did in fact carried a turquoise 2DS. I filed a complaint to their stores. I now have to waste my time again coming by tomorrow to pick it up. I am never going there again and just rather do my business with Best Buy or order online and ship it from now on.

Original review: July 26, 2017

About a month and a half ago I bought my son a pre owned PS4 and extra controller. When purchasing I paid for the extra year warranty on both (29.99 on system, 10.99 for a controller and I thought it was 2 years at time of purchase but receipt says 1). Anyway I bought this for my son who plays solo all the time so I never used the second controller.

Today we sat down to play 2 player MLB and the teams just kept scrolling. It was the left stick on the pre owned controller. I bring it back and tell him, and he says, "Well I'll switch it out for you but normally we don't do that past 30 days." I said, "I hope you do, I have a 2 year warranty" to which he replied, "No you only have a system warranty." After 2 minutes of whether I had it, he sees it on the receipt after all (6 foot long receipt with 2 items on it). After switching it out he asks, "Do you want the warranty on this one?" I said, "Doesn't the warranty still apply on the original?" He said, "No. Once I turn in the controller it voids it." "So you mean by me buying a broken controller and not bringing the busted thing back in 30 days you, on day 31, immediately are not responsible for selling broken garbage?" He said, "Yeah basically."

Moral: NEVER EVER buy pre owned from Gamestop. I thought these things were sent to corporate somewhere and refurbed, but they literally just wipe em off and stick it in a bag and put it on the shelf. That broken controller you sold them for $10 is sitting broken on the shelf next day for some idiot to buy for $50. I asked if they even tested the trade ins and his reply was, "Yeah we make sure the buttons don't stick and wipe it off." Unreal... Never again Gamestop.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I pre-ordered Destiny 2 digital deluxe edition which was supposed to come with an early access to the Beta. After a day of not receiving the beta code, I contacted the customer service and it's been an undesirable experience from them. It almost felt like I was being trolled. This is still ongoing. They kept asking for my billing address even after I gave it to them. I even screen shot the billing address and sent it to them. I wanted to cancel my order since I got tired of dealing with the customer service and all they kept asking was the billing address. I got infuriated. I sent it more than 6 times even the screen shot of it. When I called them, the people on the other line were so condescending, they didn't even know how their website work. Since it was my first time, I didn't know where to pull out my billing address information and they didn't even know. It's ridiculous. I'm done with Gamestop.

Original review: July 1, 2017

Let's put this company out of business! Just had to deal with another lying Gamestop employee... About the third in a couple of weeks! No more. Stop selling them your games and accessories for next to nothing so they can turn around and sell them for sometimes more than the cost of the same new item! PSVR with used motion controllers and camera for 480 bucks!? I walked literally 50 feet down a sidewalk to Target and got all new Psvr bundle for 399! WTF, Gamestop?! Employees who literally are so stupid, they do not think you can see the same thing they see when you Google something...enough of the lies concerning availability of items and these stupid exclusives that they never even have! Gamestop is a joke!

Original review: June 30, 2017

Went into store to trade in what turned into 300 plus in store credit. That was the only good from this story. When I went to trade in, I waited in line just like any other person. Finally it was my turn and I go to trade in my items. The clerk starts taking my items, scans them in, and then gets to my new style Nintendo 3DS. He took it over and plugged it in, played around with it and then took other customers, while I waited. Then the phone rang and he engaged in a conversation, while I waited. He told me he couldn't find the serial number on the 3DS, asked me to wait and then did a trade in with other customers, checked out other customers, while I waited...

So he then tells me he needs to "Google" how to find the serial number, and then checks out another customer. He gets a few tools and takes apart the 3DS? He still couldn't find it. A group of people walk in and he asks them where the serial number is, he takes the face plate off and finds the number. At this point I have waited about 30 minutes while other people were helped. I traded all the stuff in to get the Arms Nintendo Switch Bundle, pay the difference in cash and place the order. He tells me it will ship in one to two days and I should have it next week.

I ordered this on Tuesday, June 26th. When I looked at the receipt in the car, the receipt says that the pre-order won't even ship until July 20th-27th. That is a full month after the order... I am not really all that bent out of shape about it because I am not desperate and I am a reasonable person but this might have been the top 5 worst customer service experiences I have had. I have read other reviews on here and am nervous to say the least about the Gamestop.com experience. At least there was no debit card involved as it seems that Gamestop likes to double charge cards.

Original review: June 30, 2017

So I bought 40 dollars worth of stuff, two games, and a controller. Waited for the day it was supposed to arrive. It never did. I checked the tracking only to see that my stuff was delivered to a completely different place (Yes, I entered in all the correct information). I emailed them and asked about this issue, and I only got an automated email, and still no live person response. I have all the proof that this was not by my own fault, and still no help. They won't refund or anything. Horrible experience, as is apparently the norm for all customers.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Purchased a $20 PlayStation card and it is usually instant but this time they said it would come in and email. I used Paypal to pay and they charged me. When I finally got an email and tried to get the code with the confirmation number it said it didn't exist. I called their customer service and gave her the order number. She ask for my phone number and I gave it to her, she said that didn't match. I told her I've this number since 2005 and it's my only number. She said she couldn't pull number so she couldn't pull my order and give my code! They could charge me though! What a rip off! I'll never use them again! I had to file a dispute through paypal to get my money back!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I have never been a victim of identity theft EVER because I take necessary steps to protect my information. I just received your security notice about ALL of my personal information being compromised. Just to find out that my account was hit for 3000.00!!! MY GOD! What kind of sad security system do you have?? I used your system to order my son a few games and console and updated my information in the store for your rewards program just to get my money stolen within a 3 hour period. THEY ARE DOING NOTHING TO ASSIST THEIR CUSTOMERS OTHER THAN SENDING THEM TO EXPERIAN AS IF IT IS THEIR JOB TO HANDLE YOUR MISTAKE!!

Original review: June 7, 2017

I purchased a downloadable $20 credit for the PlayStation Store from Gamestop. It took over two hours for them to send me the code. When I tried to use the code, Sony said it had already been used. I informed Gamestop of this and they said there were no refunds and that I could fight with Sony about it if I wanted to.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Never use Gamestop.com. I placed an order in March for a Switch after we traded our Wii and gotten a Gamestop gift card. I used my credit card, my Powerup Rewards credit and the gift card. When it shipped Gamestop.com charged my credit card for the entire amount. I was told they could not credit my credit card. They will return it to the gift card and PUR card. OH YES, they had charged them all! And 2 days ago, over a month after receiving my entire shipment, they tried to charge my card again for the same order. Beware!

Original review: June 1, 2017

Bought a game for my nephew and had it shipped overnight for his birthday. Fail. Not only did they fail, 2 weeks later they stopped responding to my emails because they say the item is processing... That's their answer to everything! OH! Wait, they gave me money back overnight shipping to make sure my nephew's ruined birthday was handled. It's not about the money, it's about service. Glad Gamestop shares are losing every year, they rape gamers and lie about everything. Good luck Gamestop, you just lost another customer. They even sent me the same exact #sorrywemessedup email and when I called them out on it, they told me to calm down. I am more than willing to upload emails if anyone wants to order from that crap company again!

Original review: April 15, 2017

We ordered MLB The Show 17 Hall of Fame Edition - "Only at GameStop" for our son for Christmas. He waited three months for his gift to arrive in late March. Days went by and nothing came in the mail so we decided to call and GameStop told us that they were sold out and basically tough luck. They would not honor our order. We will never, EVER shop at GameStop again. Terrible customer service. Can't understand a word the employees say. Horrible.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I ordered an iPhone 6s Plus from Gamestop. It was described as being a "Premium Refurbished" item. The item I received was in poor condition. The lens on the back camera was completely shattered with most of the glass missing. There were significant tool marks around the entire case at the end of the glass. Corners of the phone were all scuffed (but be realistic - this is one thing that might be expected of a refurbished unit). A premium refurbished unit should not have a broken camera and should not have lots of significant tool marks on the case around the glass.

I returned the item for a replacement. After not getting any acknowledgement from Gamestop for over a week, I sent them an email which they sent a robo-email response, but no other response. After another four days, I called them. They told me that the replacement phone had been shipped earlier in the day and that I should have gotten an email already (No, I had not, and still have not gotten an email). Checking the UPS tracking number that they gave me over the phone, I checked UPS and found that the shipping request had just been created (to be fair, I could not determine the time it was created), but the phone had not yet been provided to UPS.

I believe that Gamestop would still not have sent the replacement phone had I not called. It just seems like they put the shipping request in to UPS while I was on the phone talking to them (they had me on hold for about ten minutes). To summarize my view, the originally provided product was not as described, the replacement was slow, and I feel they were dishonest in dealing with me. I plan to send the replacement phone back for this poor treatment. On a good note, the customer service representatives that I spoke to were courteous (even if I feel they weren't above board).

Original review: March 31, 2017

I ordered a refurbished Xbox ONE bundle (with 2 refurbed controllers and 2 used games) before Christmas for my family. Love the machine, however one of the 2 games that I got with it, I discovered in January when I finally went to play it, will not load to the machine. I emailed Gamestop through their online contact. Then, the controllers started acting up (moving on their own). So I emailed them again, referencing the original inquiry as well. A few weeks later, I finally got an email from them asking for more information. It is now almost April and I have not gotten a response from them to resolve (or not) my problems! And we have barely played the thing since January because of the controller issues. I have never had a problem in-store, but I will never buy online from them again after this experience.

Original review: March 27, 2017

I should have known better than to trust a Gamestop. Spouting lies as usual. Telling me if I come in store to purchase a Nintendo Switch bundle by that night, I would have it by Friday with next day shipping. I made my order Wednesday... Anyhow, I'm following the tracking number provided by Gamestop which says I should have everything by Monday. So I'm annoyed, but whatever... I just want the Switch.

I come home early from work to catch my delivery in time so nothing happens to it, and just a book from Zelda is on my doorstep. I check my email, I now have a new email with a new tracking number from Gamestop saying that my Nintendo Switch is above to ship now!!! Wait what? Next day shipping? It's been nearly an entire week and still HASN'T SHIPPED YET.

I call this number. I found Dedicated Customer Care: (877) 676-GAME... I call them looking for a refund only on the shipping that I was lied to about. They come back and say they can offer me a gift card! Lol AYYYY... Like I haven't already spent enough money with you!? Just give me what I am owed and be done with it!!! I could have skipped all of this garbage time spent, and ordered the bundle I WANTED off some other internet source. If this was Game of Thrones, Game Stops saying would be, "we promise, but we lie, we are game stop"... RIP Gamestop. You are NOT for the gamer. SHAME!!!

Original review: March 13, 2017

Calling the GameStop in Lyndhurst, NJ for several days and keep getting their voicemail stating they are busy and cannot take the call. And then the next message says, "This mailbox is full," and it hangs up on you. I doubt you are that busy. Then went to Corporate to complain but no phone number listed so googled for one and found. Now I am on hold with them for several time. I have been in retail for over 30 years and this is unacceptable.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I placed an online order and paid for 2 games, and shipping on one of them, the other game I chose to save $5.99 and pick up the game at the Fairfield, CT store. When I was at the store, they charged me again for the game, which I paid because I didn't want to disappoint my son. I sent an online help email and never heard back from them. When I called the store again, about a week later, they refused to believe me and were not very professional about their mistake. They gave me the runaround and seemed to have no new information. I have no choice but to quit shopping with Game Stop, they've already wasted $9.95 of my time. I want a refund for this charge, as well as the membership fee, which is useless now that I am forced to stop shopping with them.

Gamestop Company Information