1.10/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Gamestop

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 22, 2018

291 Gamestop Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I've been a member of GameStop PowerUp rewards since 2010. I buy a lot of games from GameStop and I mean a lot of games. My Power Up Rewards at 400,000 points. I order a game online this year for the first time. I never received my product so I call them. They gave me points. They say they was going to replace my game but I have not never received them. One day I decided to look at my points and seeing the stuff that I wanted pre-ordered on my account. I cannot log into my account so I called GameStop the 1-800 number. They told me that my account was closed. I said why. They could not give me a reason. I kept calling and I kept calling and I kept calling and nobody can give me a reason why they closed my account. They said told me to look at the terms and conditions. I look at the terms and conditions 15000 and it told me nothing that I did wrong.

I finally got ahold of somebody in the corporate office name Josh. He told me that my account was closed because of the term tradition. Again he couldn't tell me why either. I call the corporate switchboard of GameStop. They told me that I need to speak to Holly ** assistant to the president. Holly ** never return my phone call. I left her email messages. I left her phone calls and she never returned my phone call. That's great customer service being sarcastic. I finally got a phone call from a guy named Joe. He said I would never talk to Holly ** ever. I said, "I don't want to talk to you." He had a nasty attitude.

All I want is my points back. My 400,000 points back. My account back from 2010 to today. I saved all my points. Never used them. Everybody told me I should use my points. I said I want to save them and all the sudden they delete it. For what from what I was told finally don't reason. They closed my account because the foreign customer service rep gave me points. That's not a reason to close so my account I think is unfair. I just upgrade it to the Elite Pro. Spent $30. I want my account back and my 400,000 points back.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Customer service is HORRID at Gamestop. A guy was being very rude to me and had a huge attitude. He was very smart-aleck and was trying to embarrass me in front of the other customers in the store. He then told me he was the District manager. His name is Nick **. After trying to belittle me in the store... his guy actually follows me OUT TO MY CAR to make more hateful comments. This is THE DISTRICT MANAGER for God’s sake. No wonder the other employees are so rude and hateful at Gamestop if this is their leadership! Little game stores would BEG for my business and the volume of games I purchase. This guy HARASSED me for it! Stay away from Gamestop folks... your business is not appreciated here.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I ordered a SNES classic on December 8th. Said it shipped 12 Dec through USPS. The tracking number in USPS says awaiting shipper. It’s Jan 17. I have called a few times and can never get a customer service rep due to super long hold and wait times. Was disconnected 3 times. Emailed and never got a response.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Very disappointed. Ordered game for holiday gift. Game was received without actual game disc. Called customer service and was on hold 20 minutes. Finally spoke with a rep and was told they would send a replacement in 1-2 business days. 4 days later and still nothing. Called customer service and put on hold again. I would not recommend ordering from this company.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I was told lie after lie after lie from customer service regarding why my Trade Credit was no longer on my card… 1. I was told 12/22/17 that my Trade Credit had expired after trying to redeem at my local store. I called a number the store employee gave me (even though it states specifically on the card it does not). Pointed this out and was put on hold only to hear lie 2. 2. I was told my card was redeemed on Dec 2016 (which unless someone broke into my storage unit, found my card, redeemed it and put it back into my storage without any indication: this is impossible. The card was in storage until June of this year where it was a bit warped by heat and still wrapped in the original receipt). I explained this and was put on hold to hear lie 3.

3. I was told it was redeemed for cash sometime in Jan of this year, I demanded to know what store/time/date as to put them on the spot, they could not tell me (I explained again this is impossible based on the reason stated above)…was put on hold again to be told lie 4. 4. I was told it was redeemed on May 4th 2015 (I explained that that was the date I sold my Xbox/controllers/games for trade credit and this was the day the card was loaded…the employee then stated “oh, that’s right”) was put on hold again to wait for lie 5.

5. I was told that I would need to escalated my claim to a different number and I would receive my gift card in 3-5 business days (I called the number the next day) I was told lie 6. 6. (I RECORDED THIS CALL) I called given number and spoke to Jesus. I explained all of the above again in detail the circumstance of my situation and told them I was calling to get my credit returned to me, and was told immediately that my card had been redeemed in Sept of 2016, I demanded to know date/time/store again because this was impossible and was putting them on the spot to prove their lie. I was put on hold again to be told lie #7.

7. My card was redeemed on 12/16/16 @9:13 am! I immediately argued that the stores don’t even open that early, and was put on hold again being told I was to be handed to a supervisor (which technically would be lie #8 I guess because I was not transferred to a supervisor). 8. Jesus came back and asked for my contact information including my email stating that in 3 business days I would receive in my email my trade credit balance in the form of an electronic gift card.

9. It is now 4 business days later and nothing is in my email/spam from Gamestop. This company has nothing credible to offer to a consumer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gamestop?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I will NEVER use this company or recommend them to anyone EVER. You're better off on Amazon or something. Customer service is terrible, hard to reach and overall distasteful. I ordered my product and waited several days after its original delivery date. Waited 30 mins!!! Just for b.s. HATE this company.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I received a handful of GameStop gift cards from friends a few years ago. They totaled $70. Looking at the fine prints, the gift cards do not expire. When I went to the store to use them, they told them the cards have been used which is impossible since the pin numbers have not been scratched yet. They told me to call their 1-800 number. I called and waited 20 minutes to speak to Customer Service who confirmed the cards have not been used; they were de-activated. They promised to issue me virtual credits. They took down my information and my email. They said the credit will take a week to issue. I don't know why since that's a long time for me to wait and use money that belongs to me. I asked for a confirmation number. They insisted a confirmation number is not necessary.

Would you be surprised if I tell you a week later, I never received my virtual credit? I didn't even receive an email confirming I called and reported the problem. I am calling their 1-800 number right now and is on a 60-minute wait due to high call volume. It's really unacceptable. I'm not optimistic this issue would be resolved properly. I will never buy their gift cards or any online credits ever again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Extremely disappointed with Gamestop. I ordered an item that was in stock when I bought it. It remained for 3 days in stock and my order was cancelled when I ordered the 1st day of the sale. The item was Christmas gift. I'll avoid Gamestop for future purchases.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

When I was trading in my Xbox 360 system and the controllers plus the games, they are too picky saying it needs the original battery pack when I have two charger packs plus a battery pack and saying it needs an original HD cord when people use the new HDMI cords.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I ordered a figure from Gamestop's online store recently and was extremely dissatisfied with my purchase. I am not a serious collector of figurines by any means, but when my order arrived, I noticed that the box had been previously opened. Once I removed the figure from its packaging, I also noticed it was covered in dust, so while Gamestop's site said this was a brand new figure, it was obviously a floor model that they sold me. While I rarely post reviews, I was disappointed, and so I left honest feedback through their 'review' system. I just received an email from Gamestop rejecting my review. For those of you who may think I said something unsavory, this is my review verbatim:

"Great statue, false advertising. For the most part the figure is in good shape, but I am giving this a 2 star review because: 1. There are a few dings on the figure. 2. I noticed the box was open when I received it (the seal was cut) and 3. The figure was covered in dust. I can only assume that this was a display piece in one of your stores. The sales page lists this item as new, but it certainly was NOT! Very disappointed in this purchase."

I tried contacting their customer service number and just sat on hold. The 'contact us' options on their website are non-existent. With all of the other purchasing options available now, and after my poor treatment, I believe my many years of doing business with this company has finally come to an end. Since they apparently won't allow negative experience posts on their website, I just decided to leave this experience here as a warning to others.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017 Ordered a phone online in April 2017. Used it for 8 months. Samsung/Android updated system December 2017. Verizon has now shut my phone off due to the person who owned my phone before me owes on the contract, apparently over 2k. Jerth **. Spent over 2 hours on hold with customer service with still no solution.

I'm stuck with a phone they should have never purchased and never sold. Horrible company.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Lies and horrible overseas "customer service": Ok, so I sat on the phone a total of almost six hours trying to get a hold of ANYONE to cancel this order that was placed by mistake and no one ever did answer the phone. Very very unimpressed with their mobile AND desktop site, as neither one allowed me to cancel this order even after trying immediately. When I finally did get someone this morning (after waiting another hour and a half) they refused to cancel the order even though it HAS NOT been shipped, still says open and isn't even in the process of being packaged. It even says on their website that there will be shipping delays since they're so busy or whatever which ticks me off even more, they don't WANT you to cancel anything, their company is tanking! And it's obvious why that is!!

After reading many reviews and feedback online, I see this is not in my case an exception. This happens to almost 100% of their customers who try to cancel or edit their order. I am also very disturbed about the reviews on this company saying that people's credit card information has been stolen and that the site isn't secure.

All I wanted to do was change my order to a NON refurbished console, which would actually have gained them more money but I WILL certainly be returning the $335 dollars worth of merchandise I purchased and take my business elsewhere. Won't even risk removing anything from the package, going straight back to the crooks. I've honestly never experienced such horrible customer service or dealt with a WORSE website as far as functionality goes in my entire life. Also, the fact that I wasted over 8 hours of my life dealing with this company makes me incredibly salty as well, and I will definitely be telling all of my 2800 Facebook and Instagram followers about my experience unless this is remedied.

Thanks in advance for anything you choose to do to make this right, GAMESTOP. And to those considering them for ANYTHING this holiday season, I would strongly advise against it. Make sure to read other reviews online, boy I wish I had! This crap will probably ruin my kids' Xmas and I am SUPER hot about it, shame on these jerks!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

The website has nothing to help customers, not even proof of your order history, no email or chat for customer service. You finally find a phone number that says they are available anytime and call to find out they have certain hours of operation... But there is a feedback button if you get their app. Got the app, sent email, been two days and no response. Bought 2 Nintendo 3DS, one came in a bubble lined mailer envelope. Let me repeat that, our $110 refurbished electronic device containing a lithium ion battery came in an envelope.

Neither package contained a proper receipt showing that we also paid for the 2 year warranty. When we tried to return the product in the store, the nice associates commented that they hate the warehouse and that they were unsure how to proceed to get me my money back. There was NO RETURN LABEL in the package, either.

I spent more than 3 hours over two phone calls over two days to talk for 15 minutes to a real person who did not understand some of what I was saying. After all that, I finally have a return label that supposedly will not cost me anything, but no lithium ion label for the package. But I am promised a supervisor who knows what I am talking about will get back to me today. The incomplete shipping invoice even states that a lithium ion label is required. What they did for me was to type it in the description of the label so that it looks like I am shipping lithium ion batteries! That would require a hazardous shipping bill. SMH. GameStop- if you are going to have a business, you need to have business support. Hire people in America to handle calls within our country and then train them as to what business they are actually working for! Then put customer service links into your website.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

12/4/17 Went to GameStop at South Beach Parkway in Jacksonville Beach FL to purchase a game for Christmas for my son. I typically avoid GameStop because I've generally not been impressed with the stores; in this case, it was next to another store I visited so I tried to save time. The game is a download only game, and as such, the only way to purchase is by taking one of the many display cards to the register at which time they will print a redemption code on your receipt. I purchased the game for my son. When I was done checking out, the store leader, Alexander didn't give me the display card (which also has the download instructions on the back) along with my receipt. I asked for the card, and he stated that I couldn't have it. I said that doesn't make sense, and I know that similar games I've purchased at Best Buy do come with the card.

Alex's response was "this isn't Best Buy." I told Alex that if he wasn't going to give me the card, then I wanted my money returned. He attempted to return my money, and then stated "the system isn't allowing me to return your money," handed me the receipt and card, then stated "don't ever come here again." I am more than shocked at his behavior, rudeness, and clear intentional violation of Gamestop’s published corporate core values. I told him that I would be reporting his behavior to Corporate, and his response was "no you won't, and I really don't care." I will never provide Gamestop with future business. Further, as a senior leader at a fortune 100, I'm fully aware that employees demonstrating such behaviors and statements is clearly learned through corporate culture. I did attempt to talk with a corporate customer service person. However, after being on hold for 42 minutes, I gave up. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I am so very disappointed with the GameStop corporate office for online ordering. I ordered 3 Nintendo DS games online on the 11th of November. I was told that I would have shipping/tracking information in 48 hours and that my estimated delivery date was the 17th. On the 16, I still did not see any tracking information so I called corporate and told them that I could not possibly receive the products on the 17th if they still were not even shipped to UPS. They said, "Oh well it looks like it got lost in the mail, we will have to issue a replacement." I was then told that the replacement would be here on Thanksgiving day the 23rd.

On the 24th I called back and said I still have not received it. They said well everything looks good on our end you should be receiving it by Monday the 27th. Again I looked it up and had no tracking information. I did get an email from ups that said it had been delayed. I finally received the products on the 27th. At this point I had called them 5 different times and waited on hold at least 30 minutes each time. When one of the games arrived it looked like it had gotten wet at one point. I am so grateful that I finally did receive the products because I was so tired of dealing with them. It took 16 days for me to get my order!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Literally spent almost 2 hours on hold while not speaking to a single human representative. Ridiculous, said the wait time was about 30 minutes. Very dissatisfied, already did not like GameStop with the way they rip people off via "buying" games from people, far from what they're even worth. Disgusted with this company, will never shop here again. Definitely do not recommend.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I bought an Xbox One X for my husband the other day. He ended up getting another one that he likes better. WE CALLED BEFORE TO MAKE SURE WE COULD RETURN IT SO WE DIDN'T WASTE OUR TIME. The guy said we could, as long as it was still in good condition. So I just took it in to the Traverse City Gamestop and the girls there talked to me like I am an idiot. I told them the exact conversation I had with the gentleman on the phone yesterday and they said, "Yeah, the condition he was talking about is UNOPENED." They continued to talk to me like a child. I don't shop for game systems very often, but the guy specifically told me we could return it. Don't disrespect me for trying to do something I was told I could do. I will never go there ever again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I bought a game (COD WWII) from Gamestop as a guest before making an account, and was then advised to make an account to track my order. They never gave me a confirmation code for the purchase and after I had made my account, denied the transaction occurred. I've been trying to call customer service for 2 days, and have collectively been on hold for over 2 hrs. What the hell are they doing outside of poor customer service and scratching their balls?!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I ordered 20 games from Gamestop, worth over $300 USD. 2 copies of the game are NOT factory sealed. Local Gamestop wouldn't accept the return, due to it's been past 7 days. What? And asked me to send them back by mail for full refund. There is no way to find out the return shipping address, it's not listed on the return label. Plus, I have to pay for the return shipping cost. This is my first and last purchase from Gamestop. Total Rip Off!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Renewed my Pro Membership online. The money was deducted from my account, and then Gamestop cancelled the order for whatever reason. I called customer service and it took 35 minutes for someone to answer. Raul was of no help. He couldn't explain why it was cancelled, but that it was a false order… Whatever that means. So I was advised to call my bank and get it refunded, what a drag.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I had the most awful experience at my local Gamestop in Harrison Arkansas. I pre order Call of Duty WW2. I am Not Happy with the game. I ask for a full refund having my receipt and within the time limit. The clerk told me he can't do this. He said, "I can give you a $32.50 store credit or $22.00 dollars in cash." After paying over $65.00 for the game. I told him what a rip off and I don't think this was fair. Then he told me to get the ** Out of his store. I did. I am disabled due to COPD and other health issues. I contacted Gamestop corporate headquarters and explain the experience to them. They told me a district Manager would call me within 72 hours. We will see. That employee needs to be fired. I will never shop at another Gamestop store ever!!! Would you?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I ordered my nephew an online gift card for his 12th birthday, two days ago. Today is his birthday, and Gamestop never sent the gift certificate. I called their customer service phone number, and after waiting 35 minutes, reached a girl who took my name, and my *phone number*. She said she was going to put me on a brief hold while she looked up the information. 30 seconds later, the call got disconnected. I waited, but she never called back, even though I had just provided her with my phone number. I tried to call back, and was advised that the hold time to reach a representative was now at least 45 minutes. This has been a horrible experience, for what should be a simple process. This will be the last time I order anything from Gamestop.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I had asked my wife to take in 11 games to trade in for Forza 7 on the Xbox One platform as I was unable to do so myself. Upon her return from that and various other errands she informed me it was not in stock and had to be ordered. As the game is over a month old I assumed a day or two until I received it until I saw the receipt stating almost a two week wait. I obviously assumed one of their horses on their team pulling the wagon that hauls their shipments must have thrown a shoe or else their game production facility was striking again.

My wife returned to the store after an hour waiting on the phone to cancel the order only to find out the not only would Gamestop not cancel the order but also would not return my trades unless we paid the new cost that they would be selling my games for. About $350 versus the $50 I was given in credit... That being said I will never use Gamestop again for any purchase regardless of the fact I have primarily used them for almost six years now making at least one purchase per month. This was my first time attempting to trade in games.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Every time I purchase a product at their stores I have noticed that within less than 2 months their merchandise breaks. I bought a charger for my son’s Xbox controllers and within 2 months it no longer works. I have purchased him numerous Xbox controllers with the same issue and now experienced the same thing with his Xbox headset. So ridiculous!!! I just bought it a little over a month ago for his birthday. All of this stuff is NOT cheap either. It is so frustrating too because who keeps all the receipts for that long. I shouldn’t have to. Seriously…

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I called corporate store (817-424-2000) because I was in line since 7 am to confirm that I was not wasting my time waiting in line for the console and I was assured 3 TIMES that the store had it in stock and that since I was the first one I was guarantee to have one with me today. So after the store finally opened, at 10:00 am, the guy told me, with an attitude, that they didn't have it in stock yet, that they were "in transit" and that I didn't have to call corporate to find out if they had in stock. I proceed to call Corporate, again, and now they are saying that they never told anyone that they were going to have any console available today and that I would have to wait in line when it becomes available, like the rest.

I was transferred to 3 different "supervisors" but the last one, Nathan Supervisor at corporate, was the worst one. No human empathy whatsoever, I asked for them to review the notes and listen to the conversation that I had and he said that he will, but will be handled internally and that I still will have to wait when it becomes online and do the line like everyone else, after I spent 3 hours waiting for the store to open and 1 hour on the phone. He refused to escalate the situation to the district manager or provide me with his information. Then the Super NES was released. I have a very bad experience, also at the same store, where they were telling people that they didn't have it at the store yet selling it to their friends and random people that were coming in.

I made a complaint and yet, was "handled" internally. I want someone from corporate that have power enough to contact me. I have been trying to get this the right way for my son's birthday, which happens to be today, October 11th (he turned 10) and is currently at the hospital and I was so looking forward to make his 10th birthday a very unforgettable one... I am a pro member and all the comments from the guy from corporate that told me that they had it and that also called the store to double check that they had it, are there and they can always listen to the conversation. Please, I need to get that Super NES classic for my son today.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

GameStop - Eagle Ridge Mall in Lake Wales, Florida - Location - The issue I had was not related in any way to this/his store or to the franchise company of GameStop. The issue was actually caused by an outside company and related to internet access. The owner still fixed it solely to keep his customers happy. I really appreciated this and thus I will be doing more video game business here versus online.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I preorder NBA 2k18 from the website. It took almost 2 weeks for them to tell me they sent the game but I never received it. I call about it on a Friday and they promised me they would overnight me a copy of the game and I should receive it by Monday. Come Monday and still no game. I call back and wait another 45 minutes for someone to pick up the phone, when I finally spoke with someone they had no record of a game being shipped to me so I asked for a supervisor. When I spoke with the supervisor he ensured me that I would have a refund within 5 days. No refund was given.

I called again today to check the status of my refund and she told me that there was no notes about a refund and I was never given. I have been waiting over 3 weeks for a game that I preordered in order to get it early. The customer service was horrible. When I spoke with another supervisor today she acted as if she didn't care and was trying to rush me off the phone. I could have just went to the store and purchased the game if I would have known I would have to wait almost a month after the game came out. I am very disappointed in the way I was treated as a customer. Someone needs to be held liable and I need my money back so I can go get the game from somewhere else or I need my game. There is no reason I should have to wait this long for something that I preordered and should have received early. Apparently I can't get any help from the Gamestop customer service so I don't know what to do.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I purchased a PS4 for my son in July. In August, the controller stopped working. I took the controller to a Gamestop store in town and was told I would have to bring my system in so they can test it. I thought that was ridiculous. I'm sure they have systems there to test it! I called customer service about 3 weeks ago, waited for an hour to speak with someone and was told a new controller would be sent out. I called today (waited 20 mins) to see what happened to the remote and they informed me I would have to send the whole bundle back, and I'm sure wait 2 months to get a new system back. I informed the rep that I'm just going to purchase another controller for my son, but I will never shop at Gamestop again. I have spent lots of money at Gamestop and it should not be this difficult to receive a replacement controller that was obviously defective from the start. Very poor service.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

My son and I accidentally purchased a downloadable expansion pack for the wrong gaming platform. We never redeemed the download code and immediately purchased it again for the correct platform. I then proceeded to sit on hold for an hour to be told, very rudely, that it was my mistake and they do not issue refunds on downloadable content.

There is no way I'll believe that they are unable to track and confirm whether or not a download code has been redeemed or acknowledge that I re-purchased the same game on a different platform within the same hour. Obviously they can track redemptions because if you try and redeem a code a 2nd time it won't work again. This is total fraud. I can't believe GameStop will happily keep a child's hard earned video game money and hide behind a crappy policy. Granted we did make a little mistake but that should not result in a $20 +tax win for GameStop.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I could not believe what was being done when I went there to trade in my son's PS3 for a PS4. They connected the PS3 to some old beat up tv and said the system was causing the screen image to flicker and bounce. They offered me 25.00 for the system and 12 games. Completely dishonest. I connected that PS3 to 4 different tvs in my house after that with no issue whatsoever. Needless to say I purchased the PS4 elsewhere and won't ever do business with GameStop again.

Gamestop Company Information

www.gamestop.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use