Gamestop

Compare Retail Stores

Research top Retail Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Calling the GameStop in Lyndhurst, NJ for several days and keep getting their voicemail stating they are busy and cannot take the call. And then the next message says, "This mailbox is full," and it hangs up on you. I doubt you are that busy. Then went to Corporate to complain but no phone number listed so googled for one and found. Now I am on hold with them for several time. I have been in retail for over 30 years and this is unacceptable.

I placed an online order and paid for 2 games, and shipping on one of them, the other game I chose to save $5.99 and pick up the game at the Fairfield, CT store. When I was at the store, they charged me again for the game, which I paid because I didn't want to disappoint my son. I sent an online help email and never heard back from them. When I called the store again, about a week later, they refused to believe me and were not very professional about their mistake. They gave me the runaround and seemed to have no new information. I have no choice but to quit shopping with Game Stop, they've already wasted $9.95 of my time. I want a refund for this charge, as well as the membership fee, which is useless now that I am forced to stop shopping with them.

I will never give Gamestop my business again. They messed up my Nintendo Switch pre-order badly. None of my friends who ordered from Best Buy, Amazon, or Walmart had any of these problems. I accidentally put the wrong shipping address for my Nintendo Switch pre-order. I called to correct it about 2 weeks before release day and upgrade my shipping. Gamestop said no problem, they can change the shipping address and happily took my $15 to upgrade to release day shipping.

However, when I got an email confirmation that my item was about to ship on March 2nd, it still had the old shipping address. I spent a total of 3 hours talking to customer service representatives that day. The first one said I had to make the change with UPS. I talked to a UPS representative who said it would not be possible to do that without a $100 charge. The second representative told me the item would have to be delivered to the incorrect address, recalled, and then sent to the correct address. Ok, fine I thought. I was willing to wait a few extra days. Another downside was that I would not get a refund on my expedited shipping until I actually received the item.

Still, I was willing to wait. I have kept track of the item on UPS over the last few days and it just arrived back to Gamestop today. I was now expecting to get an email confirmation for the item to ship to the correct address. Instead, I got one that said I would soon be refunded. So I, again, spent an hour on the phone with customer service. I am now told that I will have the item by the end of the week.

However, at this point I have no faith in customer service. Either GameStop's computer systems are terrible and don't correctly update customer information, or GameStop doesn't have capable customer service representatives. Either way, I ordered the Switch for 3/3 and will receive it 3/10 at the earliest. Or the week of 3/12. This is by far the worst customer experience I have ever had. And, I have had to go out of my way to even get something as simple as a shipping refund on a order they messed up. Other companies go out of their way to offer gift cards when things like this happen. GameStop definitely will not have my business in the future.

I returned a used PS4, into the store. Their reps were very friendly, and I thought everything went well. Three weeks later, the return still hasn't shown up. Was directed by store to call customer support line. 90 minutes later, I'm still on the line, listening to their stupid ads on repeat. Awful experience. I wish I had never shopped there.

I felt so unwelcomed. Cashier was so rude because I wanted to do and even exchange for a shirt that was $1.97. The man kept saying he can't return it. I said I only want an even exchange. Poor customer service. I'll never buy from them again???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gamestop?

I called customer service to ask a question about my Nintendo Switch. I was then told that since she could not find the order number that there was nothing she could do for me. I then asked to speak with her manager because she was being aggressive on the matter and after an hour on hold to speak with said manager... they hung up on me. I am beyond dissatisfied and disappointed in their customer service. My questions remain unanswered and I will strongly suggest that they train their representatives better.

Have shopped at GameStop for over a decade. But I have just found out that the Switch that I pre-ordered on January 13th was canceled on the 17th. I did not do it. GameStop did. I have contacted customer service. The only thing they told me was what I already knew, that the order was canceled and I did not have to worry about my card being charged. They basically refused to address the question as to why it was canceled or if they were even willing to remedy the problem. I know they canceled the order due to stock problems and I would have been fine not being able to make the order at all. Instead I was allowed to make the order and assumed for the next month and half that I was going to be receiving a Switch on day 1. Instead I will have to wait for who knows how long and when I do buy a Switch, it will not be from GameStop. There are too many options for me to put up with a company who clearly does not value me as a customer.

I ordered an item with limited availability. The estimated shipping arrival date when I ordered was Feb. 21. I didn't get a shipping notification until Feb 20. Was "delivered" on Feb 27, but the envelope contained nothing but a packing list. The envelope was securely sealed and had no sign of tampering. When I ordered it, there were several places I could have ordered from. By the time my order was "delivered", everywhere was sold out.

I called customer service and was on hold for 45 minutes before my phone battery was nearly dead and I had to give up. I sent an email, but haven't gotten as response yet 24 hours later. I called a local store, explained the issue, and asked if they had any or could find any in stock. They called back and said there were 2 on hold for the day but if they weren't picked up, I could get it on hold. They didn't bother calling me back in the morning.

When I called them, the employee I spoke to kept saying "yeah" as I explained who I was and why I was calling. When I finished explaining, he said "yeah" again. I waited several seconds for him to tell me whether or not they were holding one before I had to ask "So, did you find one or not?" The answer was no, and I didn't really feel very strongly that he even checked or knew anything about it. Do not order from GameStop for limited availability items. I could have ordered the same from 3-4 other companies and actually had the item by nearly the date that GameStop had just shipping the empty envelope.

Called in to cancel my Switch because they were charging on the 25th instead of the 3rd like normal companies. They also canceled my Breath of the Wild Special Edition. When I called in to tell them they had made a mistake, they told me they can't reinstate it.

In Oct of 2016 I ordered from GameStop.com a XBOX 360 trap portal costing 9.99. The Item that was shipped was a 4.99 trap portal for a PS3 or PS4. I tried to get a hold of GameStop.com and their website only allows you to email them. Sent an email, waiting a response. Called a local GameStop store in West Jordan that told me that they are separate from the GameStop.com and didn't have a tel number said GameStop.com has gone to email. Suggested google to look up a customer service number. I will try by phone next. I hope the company can make this right. I purchased several things from their site (my history has also been removed).

When you order a 10.00 digital code for Nintendo and the site says 24-48 hours for delivery to your email there is no excuse why it should take over 10 days, and over 6 hours on the phone (between hold and talk time) to still have it not be resolved. I have been hung up on, yelled at, called a liar, given fake info to push me off the phone and promised several times only a little bit longer and still no resolution.

I bought two games for $20 and plus $2 for insurance for a year and went to take them back they would never use because the child never got the game to play men order Nintendo to play it in and they wouldn't return it. They said he'll give me $9 for the 20-something thousand I paid for the games that never been used and I had the receipt so this is why I'm filing a complaint against them. I want my money back.

So, I order a Sony VR unit with the move sticks. Next day shipping... Came in when it was supposed to except for the move sticks. They claim it shipped with them. Of course they did... Having waited on hold for almost 30 minutes for a customer service rep that is in INDIA, I finally got them to cancel the move sticks... but... I asked them for an email stating the cancellation of the move sticks showing a credit back to my PayPal account. Days later and multiple emails to customer service and I've still not received an email from them nor a credit.

Next issue... I had to go to a local GameStop store... 10 miles away and buy refurbished move sticks for $75 bucks. Get home... only to realize no charger cord is included with the sticks... Thanks guys at the store for making me aware of that... So back to the store I go to buy a cable so I can charge them and sync them to the VR... Well, now, just 3 days later and one of the move sticks has quit working completely. I'll never buy another thing from GameStop. I should've just ordered from Best Buy.

A while ago, I bought a pre-owned copy of Max Payne 3 for the PS3. Since I am not a resident of the United States of America, I was only able to play the game when a got home. Disappointed I was when the game failed to install, and even more when I discovered scratches at the back of the disc. Since I was a long-time customer and that had never happened to me before, I decided not to worry, since there was nothing I could do and I believed that would never happen again.

Last week, in Orlando, I bought a pre-owned copy of The Evil Within for the PS4. I asked the store employee if pre-owned games were tested by the store before they were sold. He assured me of it and said I should not worry. Living in another country, I was only able to play when I arrived, earlier today. Another disappointment. The game would crash before reaching the main menu. I have been a faithful customer to the store for years now, and I had never seen such a disrespect for those that buy its products. I have always recommended it to my friends from the US and South America, but now I am not sure if trusting the store is a good idea.

Last holidays I purchased guitar hero from GameStop and they talked me into the membership which was probably $20. Ok that said I thought I'd be getting great deals on future purchases. Used controllers for PS4 are $55 pre-owned and start at $60 for new. Walmart has the same thing for $45. And games are the same way. Can't see paying that much markup for the same product somewhere else and since that's all they sell I won't be purchasing anything from them.

I have purchased numerous games for my son. I will never return to the Bay Ridge store. It's highly probable I will not walk into any GameStop store again. It is a very low brow operation. The staff is awful. Think the opposite of Apple customer service. Apple backs up defective products. This joint doesn't back anything up and then tells you "it's your problem". If you shop there, good luck. It's a dump.

They are impossible!!! Both my son and daughter ordered games from them -one a month before Christmas to get it FOR Christmas. No they did not send it out. We finally found their customer service number after searching for a bit (it is not on the website). We're on hold for almost an hour to cancel the order. My daughter pre-ordered a game, months ago, counting the days until it came out... Little did we know-she ordered it awhile ago and her credit card needed to be updated- the website froze every time we went to update. Called again, waited almost an hour, even though we paid extra to get it the day it came out... We will also now be getting that late and no refund for the extra we paid to get it on the day of release. I am horrified by their website which will not even allow you to complain to them. It freezes again and again and no phone number.

Very bad online order experience. Ordered an Apple Watch from GameStop online on December 26, which eventually got lost in UPS transit. Never notified that my order had been lost. Countless emails were sent to onlineorder.egain@gamestop.com but none were returned. Took a customer service call 3 weeks later to finally get a replacement order, which should come in 5-7 business days. Hopefully GameStop will improve its online ordering and customer service systems, but in the mean time, it's a very bad idea to order online from this company.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After emailing my problem to Game Stop we received a shipping notification via email and our "delayed" product was sent overnight. I appreciate the fast attention to this matter however my trust is pretty much gone and won't be ordering online from Game Stop again.

Heidi of Reno, NV on

Original Review

I placed an order online with Gamestop after going to multiple physical locations. My order was placed on a Wednesday - Jan 11th. I chose the value shipping for $6 because it said 4-7 days which was fine with me. If I had seen a time frame longer than that I would of paid for upgraded shipping. Today is the 17 and I've spent an hour trying to track down any hint of my order. I couldn't even find a Game Stop phone number to reach customer service. Gamestop.com account says nothing and can't even find my order. Finally figured out that it has not been shipped or processed. With one day remaining in the 4-7 day promised window. I finally call and get through to someone who says I chose the wrong shipping (first off who is he to tell me which shipping is wrong or right?). He said I chose the 10 day shipping. I said no - I'm staring at something that says 4-7 days. He ignored that and said they have until next week to get it to me.

I said, "What makes you think (operator ID# **) Game Stop has 14 days to ship a small item to me when I PAID FOR 4-7 DAY SHIPPING??" He kept talking over me and changing the explanation. Totally frustrated. If this order doesn't show up in the next few days I'm filing a fraudulent charge with my bank and never ordering from Gamestop again. I don't care if they are the only place on the planet to get game stuff - more and more their in store staff is ignorant, rude and confusing.

In this day and age - it doesn't take a whole lot to give a customer access to tracking, shipping and order look up stuff for online purchases and Gamestop is in the dark ages with this. I think they pulled a bait and switch with shipping for my order. If "value" meant waiting for two weeks for an order to be either processed or shipped - that should of been stated. Instead in their language that was stated during my transaction it said value shipping was 4-7 days and I should get an email confirmation of order processing 3 days after placement - which I never got. Gamestop you have some shady business practices and you just lost a customer and I know you don't give one care.

I purchased a guitar learning game as a gift for someone for this year's (2016) holidays. Got home and was removing price tags and this game that came out in 2014 was at the price of $29.99. They jumped the price up to $59.99, which I paid, for the holiday season. I think this is ridiculous and will no longer be giving them my family's business.

I ordered an online gift card and made a mistake in recipient's email address. Gamestop's website provides no phone number for customer service which is extraordinarily odd. I emailed right after I placed the order and told them I had made an error. No reply. I emailed 3 more times in the course of 3 weeks. No reply. Had to find phone number through an internet search. Yes, you are calling India. Had to speak to two reps to fix this simple matter. They were polite but I was on the phone for 30 minutes. 4 emails and a 30 minute phone call to fix an email address. I will never purchase from them ever again.

Where do I begin? I ordered a new PS4 Black 500GB, Overwatch, and Dragon Ball Xenoverse. I ordered 1 day shipping for an extra 20 dollars and it all went downhill from there. They tried to deliver it 11:05am while I was at work, they left no note about missing me so I had to track down my order by myself. Turns out they shipped my order to a UPS store, so I had to wait 2 more days to finally pick it up. If I hadn't done some extra prying they would have thrown away my order.

They never responded to my email and after hours on hold some Indian women with an accent that I couldn't understand finally picks up and dodges all of my questions. They are supposed to be a professional company, yet they handle their customers like they are children. I spent $320 and this is the treatment I get? I wasted $20 on next day shipping I couldn't get my game for 3 days after? Gamestop is terrible, next time just order your stuff off of Amazon or Walmart, both of them have better prices, better customer service, and better delivery.

Wow! Where to begin? This is the first time I've ever made a mistake entering the wrong email address and the company's server didn't check for its validity. There was no way for me to correct the email blunder at Gamestop online site because, well, the edit email needed my valid email address just to send me the code to change it. Ahhh. So I called the Gamestop customer service, if that's what you want to call it, and received a snobby Indian rep. I imagine with all of peeved customers calling Gamestop, the Indian rep was probably having a bad day. To make a long story short, I just asked for a refund. It's common practice to send an email confirming the incident, but the Indian with an Attitude got upset when I asked to have an email confirmation sent. Needless to say, I lost my cool and, with every expletive I could muster, ended my call. I will never purchase another game, or anything else, from Gamestop again.

I called the store to see if they could help me with a matter and they couldn't. Went on Gamestop.com and called the 1 800 number. I can't believe the poor service. I waited on the phone for 2 hrs and 3 minutes!! Gamestop should really try to work on their poor customer service. Why would I hold on for 2 hrs? It was on speaker and went on with my clothes folding and washing dishes and just curious as to how much longer it would be but I hung up. Read the reviews too! Does not surprise me!!! Shame on you!!

I bought a GameStop gift card for my son's birthday and when I used it to purchased online it didn't work. I called customer service, waited for an hour and told me that the card was already been used. I complain and told me that they will send me a replacement card. I got a new gift card from GameStop and when I used it I have the same issue. I called them again. Waited for almost 2 hrs. and told me that the card was already been used. I am not sure what is going on here. I think they are just ripping off the consumer. I had a worst experienced with this company.

I purchased online a gift ecard. My account was immediately charged. About 20 minutes later the recipient received the gift card. He took the card to the Gamestop store in Arlington Heights, IL and it SHOWED 0 BALANCE! No gift. I could not find a customer service phone number, reviewed every area of the website. Sent an email, rec'd a confirmation of the email with notes to go to the website! I am waiting for a response that is real by real people. I will NOT do business again with this group!

Ordered a Wii bundle on Black Friday 2016. Opened sealed package on Christmas Eve to put it under the tree for my 5 year old son. To my horror, the console was not in the box, only the controller and power cable. Had to explain to a 5 year old that Santa could not deliver his gift. Called Gamestop and was on the phone 2.5 hours to speak to a customer agent in India. Could not understand her. I was told a replacement would be sent out and that I would receive a confirmation email. It never came. Called again today and I was on the phone for 3 hours. I was told there was no record of my previous call.

Furthermore, I was told I will have to ship the parts I received back at my expense before they would ship the correct order! I ended up demanding a supervisor and had to wait over a additional hour. I have now been told again a replacement would be shipped. We will see. I will never, ever, ever do business with this company again! I will dispute through my credit card if the order is not processed again. Very disappointed 5 year old boy!! Worse customer service ever.

So I ordered a refurbished Nintendo 3DS XL, a copy of Pokemon Moon and a Nintendo Charger from Gamestop. The first thing is they charged me ~10$ to deliver, it's my first time ordering online from them so that seems fine, but it shouldn't be this way since I paid over $200 for these products and they can't offer me a free shipping? I later ordered a refurbish New 3DS XL that comes with a charger and an 8GB SD card from eBay for the same price they offer for the 3DS without SD card and a separate charger (New 3DS XL is better than the 3DS XL) and also a copy of Pokemon Moon from Best Buy without getting charged any shipping fee. Then I went ahead and tried to cancel my order from them. Surprisingly they don't have a cancel function for guest order on their website. So I went and do some research to find out that you have to email or call them to cancel your guest order.

I emailed them 3 times before I got an email back asking for more information which they already have, and no reply after I gave them the information. Then I called them, the first call made me wait for an hour before I had to hang up because I had things to do, the second call made me wait about 50 minutes before cutting itself off, and my third call made me wait an hour and 15 minutes before I got someone on the line to help me. The woman on the line was nice but speak really bad English for an American-based company which made it hard to work with, but overall after 3 hours in total waiting on the phone, and 2 days of figuring out how to cancel an order, I finally canceled my order. This makes me don't want to order anything from them ever again and maybe you should too.

I got a $50 Gamestop gift card for Christmas. I went online to redeem it for some games (because they are on sale before and after Christmas). After multiple hours of searching I found games I wanted, and proceeded to checkout. Everything was going well until I got to where I would enter my gift card’s information, and it said there was no balance on the gift card, which I had gotten that day, completely packaged, pin NOT scratched off (I re-entered the gift card info multiple times). I still haven't heard back from customer service, and I am fairly certain they won't help me anyway. I am VERY dissatisfied with my experience, and like others have said, I would rate zero if I could.

Purchased a Apple Watch from the online store. Order the wrong Watch, so I return it to the store, they refunded me and ship it back while ordering me the right one. Here I am a month and half later with no Watch and $253.00 dollars out of my account. I have return to the store asking for help and they say they can't do nothing for me. I have called and called and can't get through to no one. I've emailed them with my problem and they give me no solid answer. I feel like I have been robbed and have no idea what to do, as of now I'm out $253 dollars. I recommend nobody shop at GameStop period.

Gamestop Company Profile