4.26/5

96 Abt Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

We recently purchased a new TV from Abt. They arrived on time, dropped off our new TV and took away the old 300lb 36" monster tube TV without a complaint. Very nice service!! We are very happy with the store, their selection and their customer service.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I purchased appliances from Abt and they added charges to my receipt for cutting my granite countertop to install my new cooktop, I told the salesperson that I didn’t want that charge, and he told me that if they didn’t cut the granite I would be refunded the charges. They didn’t cut the granite and they still kept my money, telling me that they had to cut the wood cabinet to install my double oven. They didn’t tell me that there would be an extra charge to cut my cabinet (even though they only cut about one inch of wood). To me this is a shady practice to make extra money. I will never purchase anything else from Abt and will tell others not to purchase from them either.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: March 17, 2019

Dave and Mike were perfect gentlemen and very helpful. The whole process from delivery to set up and install went smoothly and without a hitch thanks to Mike and Dave! Can’t say enough good things about them and Abt! Thank you again!

Original review: March 13, 2019

We had our kitchen remodeled. Bought kitchen appliances in December. Store held them for 2 months until we were ready for delivery. Only issue we had was microwave came damaged in box. Side of control panel was smashed and both door latches were broken off. Box was not damaged so I assume GE put in box that way. Anyways I called customer service who was very polite and had another one delivered to our home in two days. Thank you for a great experience.

Original review: March 12, 2019

At Abt's invitation, I'm copying my own recent communication with them: Delivery guy, Bob, was really good. However, I have some additional 1-star feedback: First, I was ignored for ages when I came into the store and I didn't like how that felt. Many, many salespeople looked at me, then returned to their phones, their computer screens or the conversations they were having with each other. I'm a small, middle-aged woman, and people treated me like I was just part of the scenery, like I was out walking my dog. Finally, one young man in a busily chatting group of three asked me if I needed help as though an answer in the affirmative was the last thing he expected. How about, "What can I help you with today?"

The other thing I'm displeased about is that I had to pay a roughly 50% premium for the same Bosch dishwasher you had advertised at $632 because I required the virtually identical, but ADA-compliant model, and this was supposedly because Bosch wouldn't sponsor the same promotion for your Customer Appreciation Sale. Discriminating against people who need ADA appliances is lame, and I'll be writing to Bosch headquarters about this. But I shouldn't have to; ABT's corporate ethics should have taken care of this problem before it even arose.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Abt?

Original review: March 9, 2019

Your Installer Sam made the delivery process smooth and painless. He removed our old refrigerator and installed the new one in record time. He made sure we knew how to use the new unit and left no mess in our house.

Original review: March 6, 2019

The delivery and installation personnel were on time and very careful bringing the appliances into our house. They did a good job and completed the work in a short period of time. It was perfect! Wish I could get this type of service from other vendors.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Initially I was a little concerned about ordering a major appliance online, but once I did, I was pleased to get a confirmation e-mail with delivery day options. I chose and submitted a day that was within the same week of my purchase, and then when the day actually arrived, I wondered if I would get the early morning confirmation call that the e-mail had promised. Sure enough, I got the call telling me the time window within which the delivery men would arrive. Later, the delivery men, themselves, called to let me know they would arrive within forty-five minutes. When they arrived on time, they were polite, competent, and efficient at delivering and hooking up my new washer. I will definitely recommend Abt to family and friends and purchase again from them based on my first-time experience.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Delivery was wonderful! Tremendous upbeat attitude. Went the extra mile to make sure everything was perfect and exactly as we wanted. Put HD delivery crew to shame. HD delivered excuses. Abt delivered satisfaction with a smile.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Jennifer was outstanding in helping us determine which refrigerator would be the best choice for us - no small feat considering the amazing selection Abt has no matter WHAT you're buying! Delivery by Nick ** & I think the other guy was named Justin - they both did such a great job - so professional, fast, but took the time to get everything done perfectly - can't say enough about every aspect of it. We especially appreciated getting this refrigerator delivered in less than 24 hours from when we walked in the door to avoid having to throw a lot of expensive food out. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

No better shopping experience. Friendly, informed and professional salesperson, Patty, helped us with our mattress purchase. No pressure at all, just information and friendliness. Delivery was on time, prompt and efficient. Abt could give all over companies instruction as to how best treat their customers. 100% recommend!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

ABT is the best when it comes to professional handling of your needs. Quality, detail to perfection and great price. I have never experienced pushy salesmen or tricked into getting your business, they simply try to work with your budget and deliver on that. I would go back again if I need anything else.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I would give 10 stars if I could. We started to buy electronics from Abt back in early 1990s. So I can surely say our seller-consumer relationship lasts over 25 years. About 90% of my electronics and appliances were bought at Abt. I still have working model of the first Sony HD 1080p camcorder the store sold. Love the store and owners' vision. Love how good and knowledgeable sales staff is when we ask them questions. We are buying from Abt not only as individual consumers but as a business as well. I am sure this refrigerator purchase wasn't the last one at Abt. Big shoutout to our sales representative (Scot **)!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Abt enjoys a wonderful reputation in the northern Chicago suburbs prompting our visit. They employ knowledgeable and service oriented staff who add to the pleasure of your experience. They are good at sharing info to your satisfaction. The delivery team were also personable and made delivery also a positive experience. The only reason I gave 4 stars vs 5 is based on an unknown outcome at this point. The top ridge of one side of the refrigerator has white marks that were not easily removed. Unfortunately, it's the side that will show. If our builder cannot cover them at time of installation, I will need to re-contact the store for a resolution. Can't predict the outcome of this problem at this time.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

The space we have only allows us to have this particular brand. The installation of the new and disposal of the old unit were accomplished in a timely and expert manner by knowledgeable technicians. Highly recommended.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Another ‘World Class Experience’ from ABT. We have been customers for a long time, going back to the Morton Grove location. The selection, price, delivery and installation has always been exceptional. Keep up the GREAT work!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We met Sam ** in September of 2018. After about 10 minutes working with him regarding our wants and needs I saw that there was something special about Sam. For starters, his product knowledge was outstanding. We had been to numerous other stores before meeting Sam and I found it so refreshing that he really knew his products. In addition we never felt any pressure to buy "today" with Sam, he allowed us to educate ourselves in regards to what products we wanted along with a suitable price range. He shared numerous options and ideas from his experience and knowledge of the appliance business. It took about 8 weeks for us to finalize the purchase and we couldn't be happier. We highly recommend Sam ** for all your appliance needs. Sam couldn't of made it any easier and we appreciated his service and knowledge.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

For me, Abt is the best there is in terms of products, price, and customer service. Every time, I need something for the house and if Abt sells it, that’s that. I have never had a negative experience with them. They are the best. Yes.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I have ordered various products from Abt over the years, and their customer service has always been top notch. They never fail to exceed my expectations, and I will continue to order from them for this reason. This time, I ordered a microwave at 2 pm on a Friday for same day delivery. Due to weather conditions, they promptly called and explained that delivery was running late. She very pleasantly asked for permission to deliver the next day, Saturday, at the time that was best for me, waived the same-day service fee, and threw in a box of microwave popcorn. The next day, the delivery man called to verify the time, delivered on time, brought in the microwave and set it up for me. He was surprised to get a tip, but with such courteous service, how can I not want to thank them with a tip and my continued patronage.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Top notch. Great communication from Abt. The customer service and ordering process was excellent. The delivery guys Josh and Cody were great. They arrived earlier than expected and were very friendly and patient. They did a great job on the installation and answered all of our questions. Highly recommend Abt from start to finish. Will definitely do business with them again.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I, and my parents before me, have been purchasing appliances from Abt for years. I remember them from their original store on Milwaukee Ave and Wolfram near the 6 corners of Milwaukee, Kimball and Diversey. Many independently owned family businesses. I have watched their business grow to what it is today. In my opinion the best run customer service oriented businesses in the country. I wouldn’t buy from anyone else when it comes to major appliances (and even some smaller items). Their staff are well trained and knowledgeable. Sure every company has its glitches and things go wrong or goofs occur but overall Abt is your best bet. Just by their very growth over the years they proved it. Go check out what goes on when they have a “customer appreciation sale.” The parking lot is packed and folks come from all over. I, personally, have never been disappointed by anyone working at Abt. I could go on but check it out, see for yourself.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Ordering a large appliance online was not something I had ever done. A bit daunting. However, the dishwasher arrived in the week I was told it would. It was in perfect shape, unlike dishwashers I ordered for another house from a big box store. All in all, it was a great shopping experience.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Paid $10 for shipping. They mailed it! A radio! A small analog radio. I thought that I was getting UPS Ground. Mailman does not come here. I am old, disabled, sick and alone. I will do UPS SurePost upgrade online and pay for ground AGAIN. LIVE CHAT DO A NO RESPONSE. CSR ON PHONE A BRICK WALL **. This company was great for 4 years. I hope they didn't put one of those crappy happy sayings notes in the box. Hippies!

Abt response

Hello, We are sorry to hear about your shipment. Please call me direct at 847-544-2836 and I will upgrade your shipping for you at no charge. -Dan Obradovic, General Manager

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My experience buying at ABT was one time a good experience. Five years ago maybe. It’s 2018 now. They sold me a Whirlpool fridge in 2015 that has not worked since it was delivered. Service visits tell us the doors can’t be adjusted to close properly and the fridge cannot be leveled? That’s their answer. Now because to cool properly there’s a chance of a fire because to run properly it has to be set to the highest setting causing it to run red hot literally glowing red hot coils. We have a 40 degree fridge rising 2 3 maybe 4 degrees opening the doors.

Service? 2nd attempt today 8/2/18. The first appointment for service they call at 8AM and give me a 5 to 7 PM visit. Now today 2nd time they call at 8 and give me 4 to 6 PM visit. Who wants a repairman emptying their fridge at 5 in the evening. This is unacceptable. They have shown a decline in quality as they continue to get worse and worse is their disregard for customer needs.

I will never set foot in ABT again. They were an excellent company; now as of 8/2/18 taken over by non caring liars. Once they have the cash we are on our own. We have to buy another’s fridge or risk sickness from an under performing fridge. Sales told us it was a good product. I hope this helps you check around to other appliance stores before trusting a name not a business that used to be good living on their name.

Abt response

Hi Ken, My Name is Dan Obradovic and I am one of the General Managers here at Abt. Please give me a call direct at 847-544-2836 I would like to look into your service history on your Whirlpool refrigerator and see what I can do to help. Thank you

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Stay far away from their HVAC department. They are a bunch of liars. I made a whole long list of mistakes in hiring them. The first thing you should know is according to consumer rights groups, NEVER PAY UP FRONT IN FULL FOR ANY SERVICE. This is a huge red flag but I figured with their name that it would be fine and boy was I ever wrong! I initially hired them to install 2 units, one high efficiency furnace and one package unit. That is where my problems began. The salesman sold me on how they install units all the time when I made my order and the prices seemed fair and that is where problems started.

I played phone tag with their nonexistent hvac department for weeks being promised phone calls that I never received, being transferred to wrong departments, being given wrong information, being sent to full voicemails and being given arbitrary timelines that came and went with no results so I called and canceled and that is where I should have left things. But I was contacted by a general manager who promised that ABT would make things right and given yet more arbitrary promises. I continued to play phone tag as I never received promised call backs from anyone after weeks so I canceled yet again and was ready to go with another company after being told there was a disconnect with ordering and their supplier etc. etc. etc. etc.

A bunch of excuses but by this time I had a few other companies who alerted me that ABT was selling me undersized units and did not measure correctly. So yet again I continued to play phone tag after being given the runaround and being transferred from person to person and being promised phone call returns that never happened, (MIND YOU THIS WAS AFTER I HAD ALREADY PAID UPFRONT, BIG MISTAKE). After all the lies and incompetence I said enough and canceled the order. A few days later I was contacted by the GM again who promised the moon and could have the outside package unit uninstall within days at 7am and I told him if I was happy then I would schedule the second unit and he promised he would be happy to compensate me for my problems etc and I told him just to ensure they did a great job.

I held my breath and lo and behold the morning of the install they showed up late, they snapped by utility lines by driving recklessly to which the village and police were called to get the snapped lines out of the street. They ripped a hook out of my siding, damaging my property when they snapped the lines, they installed a damaged unit with scratches because they did not inspect the unit when they picked up the unit from the storage and they incorrectly installed the unit according to manufacturer specifications. So I now have a damaged piece of junk that was not installed correctly and damage to my house. Best of all I called and spoke to the owner Richard Abt who was condescending and defensive that his workers were great and that they did nice work on his home etc. Which is completely ignorant considering he is their boss.

I told him that this is why people write bad reviews because companies like his fail to take accountability for hiring incompetent and sloppy employees and put more value in making excuses than executing a precise and professional job. He voiced that it was a small job for him and how he has so many crews in a smart voice and that If I was unhappy they would rip the unit out and leave after already trashing my older unit, leaving a giant hole in the side of my home! This guy was something else! If I had gone to his house in and damaged his home and incorrectly installed an air conditioner I doubt he would be OK with that excuse.

I filed a claim with American Express who has been wonderful and ABT had the audacity to lie to American Express telling them there was no damage to the unit or the house which I then documented via police and the village as well as pictures, a letter from them etc. The best thing yet is that they are so disorganized that the panels on the damaged unit that they installed were ordered and they mistakenly called and left me a message saying they were in which completely contradicts their story to AMEX that they did no damage aside from the pictures and the written statement from the village. I have never met such a crooked company. I also contacted the Illinois Attorney General office. I can see from the numerous poor reviews here on Yelp and with Consumer Affairs that they are throwing the Abt name in the toilet.

Abt response
Abt's management team fully disagrees with the description of events that Isaac/Nate has described.
We have responded to over 85 phone calls in a 15 day period placed by Isaac/Nate.

We have gone above and beyond to rectify any and all issues. We feel there is no way we can make Isaac/Nate happy and decided to sever our relationship with him. We have been in business for over 82 years and value our customers highly. Our long, award winning history speaks for itself.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I am writing to compliment the management at Abt. Over the past 18 months I had multiple issues with appliances that I bought and the response of the Sales Person and Service Department. I attempted to handle the situation without complaining but the problem continued. Management followed up and within 2 hours, calls were returned and they went above and beyond to help rectify the situation. Abt does not have control over the mass distribution of appliances which means increased damage and frequent issues. Their control is how they deal with the customers. I appreciate their intervention and prompt response to my issues and highly recommend the store.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Excellent delivery service. I had ordered online and could not specify that installation was needed. On delivery day, the delivery team immediately contacted their supervisor, who allowed me to add installation and payment to the order right then. Quite above and beyond effort!

Original review: June 19, 2018

Positive experience. Looked around for a replacement Bosch dishwasher during the typical Memorial Day home appliance sales. While we've purchased from Home Depot and Best Buy previously, we decided to give Abt a chance, since they offered the same product for a better price, plus availability was equivalent - each stored had a waiting period for shipping from a warehouse somewhere anyway, negating the "local" advantage. Anyway, it arrived on the scheduled date (via "Pilot" shipping). The item was unloaded and rolled to my door, at which point I took over. It was packed well, no damage, and after install performs great. Would definitely do again... Especially since even the local stores require shipping time anyway.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Customer service went out of their way to ensure the product (Miele filter) I ordered was right for my appliance and even offered to replace the part if it didn't reach me by the date promised. I got it!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I wish I would have read these reviews before ordering a refrigerator and dishwasher from Abt Electronics because it took 4 1/2 months to get my brand new Whirlpool Refrigerator working properly to where it didn't freeze everything that wasn't in a drawer. We threw out so much food and so MANY dozens of eggs it's ridiculous. Their service department stinks. They have grown too large to be able to keep happy customers and that was the ONLY reason I chose them. Five service calls and five replacement parts it took. Many promises to call me back and I'm still waiting for the service manager to call me back.

I truly believe if I didn't call back so many times I would not have a working refrigerator. The worst part is I didn't get any apologies, not even a gift card for the food I threw out. I had to send them videos and pictures to get them to believe me. On one service call they sent someone simply to take pictures of frozen food, even though I had already done it. I felt like they thought I was give them bull because I had stated I wanted a different fridge. I would never go back to them again. It's like rolling the dice if you will get a service guy that knows anything also.

Abt Company Information