2.78/5
Based on 69 reviews that contain star ratings

74 Abt Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Paid $10 for shipping. They mailed it! A radio! A small analog radio. I thought that I was getting UPS Ground. Mailman does not come here. I am old, disabled, sick and alone. I will do UPS SurePost upgrade online and pay for ground AGAIN. LIVE CHAT DO A NO RESPONSE. CSR ON PHONE A BRICK WALL **. This company was great for 4 years. I hope they didn't put one of those crappy happy sayings notes in the box. Hippies!

Abt response

Hello, We are sorry to hear about your shipment. Please call me direct at 847-544-2836 and I will upgrade your shipping for you at no charge. -Dan Obradovic, General Manager

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My experience buying at ABT was one time a good experience. Five years ago maybe. It’s 2018 now. They sold me a Whirlpool fridge in 2015 that has not worked since it was delivered. Service visits tell us the doors can’t be adjusted to close properly and the fridge cannot be leveled? That’s their answer. Now because to cool properly there’s a chance of a fire because to run properly it has to be set to the highest setting causing it to run red hot literally glowing red hot coils. We have a 40 degree fridge rising 2 3 maybe 4 degrees opening the doors.

Service? 2nd attempt today 8/2/18. The first appointment for service they call at 8AM and give me a 5 to 7 PM visit. Now today 2nd time they call at 8 and give me 4 to 6 PM visit. Who wants a repairman emptying their fridge at 5 in the evening. This is unacceptable. They have shown a decline in quality as they continue to get worse and worse is their disregard for customer needs.

I will never set foot in ABT again. They were an excellent company; now as of 8/2/18 taken over by non caring liars. Once they have the cash we are on our own. We have to buy another’s fridge or risk sickness from an under performing fridge. Sales told us it was a good product. I hope this helps you check around to other appliance stores before trusting a name not a business that used to be good living on their name.

Abt response

Hi Ken, My Name is Dan Obradovic and I am one of the General Managers here at Abt. Please give me a call direct at 847-544-2836 I would like to look into your service history on your Whirlpool refrigerator and see what I can do to help. Thank you

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Stay far away from their HVAC department. They are a bunch of liars. I made a whole long list of mistakes in hiring them. The first thing you should know is according to consumer rights groups, NEVER PAY UP FRONT IN FULL FOR ANY SERVICE. This is a huge red flag but I figured with their name that it would be fine and boy was I ever wrong! I initially hired them to install 2 units, one high efficiency furnace and one package unit. That is where my problems began. The salesman sold me on how they install units all the time when I made my order and the prices seemed fair and that is where problems started.

I played phone tag with their nonexistent hvac department for weeks being promised phone calls that I never received, being transferred to wrong departments, being given wrong information, being sent to full voicemails and being given arbitrary timelines that came and went with no results so I called and canceled and that is where I should have left things. But I was contacted by a general manager who promised that ABT would make things right and given yet more arbitrary promises. I continued to play phone tag as I never received promised call backs from anyone after weeks so I canceled yet again and was ready to go with another company after being told there was a disconnect with ordering and their supplier etc. etc. etc. etc.

A bunch of excuses but by this time I had a few other companies who alerted me that ABT was selling me undersized units and did not measure correctly. So yet again I continued to play phone tag after being given the runaround and being transferred from person to person and being promised phone call returns that never happened, (MIND YOU THIS WAS AFTER I HAD ALREADY PAID UPFRONT, BIG MISTAKE). After all the lies and incompetence I said enough and canceled the order. A few days later I was contacted by the GM again who promised the moon and could have the outside package unit uninstall within days at 7am and I told him if I was happy then I would schedule the second unit and he promised he would be happy to compensate me for my problems etc and I told him just to ensure they did a great job.

I held my breath and lo and behold the morning of the install they showed up late, they snapped by utility lines by driving recklessly to which the village and police were called to get the snapped lines out of the street. They ripped a hook out of my siding, damaging my property when they snapped the lines, they installed a damaged unit with scratches because they did not inspect the unit when they picked up the unit from the storage and they incorrectly installed the unit according to manufacturer specifications. So I now have a damaged piece of junk that was not installed correctly and damage to my house. Best of all I called and spoke to the owner Richard Abt who was condescending and defensive that his workers were great and that they did nice work on his home etc. Which is completely ignorant considering he is their boss.

I told him that this is why people write bad reviews because companies like his fail to take accountability for hiring incompetent and sloppy employees and put more value in making excuses than executing a precise and professional job. He voiced that it was a small job for him and how he has so many crews in a smart voice and that If I was unhappy they would rip the unit out and leave after already trashing my older unit, leaving a giant hole in the side of my home! This guy was something else! If I had gone to his house in and damaged his home and incorrectly installed an air conditioner I doubt he would be OK with that excuse.

I filed a claim with American Express who has been wonderful and ABT had the audacity to lie to American Express telling them there was no damage to the unit or the house which I then documented via police and the village as well as pictures, a letter from them etc. The best thing yet is that they are so disorganized that the panels on the damaged unit that they installed were ordered and they mistakenly called and left me a message saying they were in which completely contradicts their story to AMEX that they did no damage aside from the pictures and the written statement from the village. I have never met such a crooked company. I also contacted the Illinois Attorney General office. I can see from the numerous poor reviews here on Yelp and with Consumer Affairs that they are throwing the Abt name in the toilet.

Abt response
Abt's management team fully disagrees with the description of events that Isaac/Nate has described.
We have responded to over 85 phone calls in a 15 day period placed by Isaac/Nate.

We have gone above and beyond to rectify any and all issues. We feel there is no way we can make Isaac/Nate happy and decided to sever our relationship with him. We have been in business for over 82 years and value our customers highly. Our long, award winning history speaks for itself.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I am writing to compliment the management at Abt. Over the past 18 months I had multiple issues with appliances that I bought and the response of the Sales Person and Service Department. I attempted to handle the situation without complaining but the problem continued. Management followed up and within 2 hours, calls were returned and they went above and beyond to help rectify the situation. Abt does not have control over the mass distribution of appliances which means increased damage and frequent issues. Their control is how they deal with the customers. I appreciate their intervention and prompt response to my issues and highly recommend the store.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Excellent delivery service. I had ordered online and could not specify that installation was needed. On delivery day, the delivery team immediately contacted their supervisor, who allowed me to add installation and payment to the order right then. Quite above and beyond effort!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Abt?

Original review: June 19, 2018

Positive experience. Looked around for a replacement Bosch dishwasher during the typical Memorial Day home appliance sales. While we've purchased from Home Depot and Best Buy previously, we decided to give Abt a chance, since they offered the same product for a better price, plus availability was equivalent - each stored had a waiting period for shipping from a warehouse somewhere anyway, negating the "local" advantage. Anyway, it arrived on the scheduled date (via "Pilot" shipping). The item was unloaded and rolled to my door, at which point I took over. It was packed well, no damage, and after install performs great. Would definitely do again... Especially since even the local stores require shipping time anyway.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Customer service went out of their way to ensure the product (Miele filter) I ordered was right for my appliance and even offered to replace the part if it didn't reach me by the date promised. I got it!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I wish I would have read these reviews before ordering a refrigerator and dishwasher from Abt Electronics because it took 4 1/2 months to get my brand new Whirlpool Refrigerator working properly to where it didn't freeze everything that wasn't in a drawer. We threw out so much food and so MANY dozens of eggs it's ridiculous. Their service department stinks. They have grown too large to be able to keep happy customers and that was the ONLY reason I chose them. Five service calls and five replacement parts it took. Many promises to call me back and I'm still waiting for the service manager to call me back.

I truly believe if I didn't call back so many times I would not have a working refrigerator. The worst part is I didn't get any apologies, not even a gift card for the food I threw out. I had to send them videos and pictures to get them to believe me. On one service call they sent someone simply to take pictures of frozen food, even though I had already done it. I felt like they thought I was give them bull because I had stated I wanted a different fridge. I would never go back to them again. It's like rolling the dice if you will get a service guy that knows anything also.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I purchased a refrigerator that was highly recommended and I've had nothing but problems. They have attempted five times to repair my ice maker and have failed miserably. They are rude and the servicemen are just a joke with absolutely no knowledge of how to repair a simple ice maker. The service manager has made promises that she cannot keep and just outright lies to me. I have filed a formal complaint with the Attorney General's office and will pursue this vigorously.

Original review: April 14, 2018

NEVER BUY FROM THEM!!! There you have been forewarned now. I had an awful experience with buying a 65” tv from them online. They told me I’d have the TV in 5-7 business days but then the way they ship these units it actually is double the time. Even after speaking with Abt customer service and after an hour having them cancel the order and NOT charge me a restocking fee (this should tell us they don’t care about customer service charging folks for items that haven't even shipped just to get $$ from you).

After all of this was worked out with Abt to return. I get a phone call and an email from Randy Abt GM telling me he did me a favor and didn’t cancel because he could guarantee the delivery date I was expecting. He assured me over and over again it would happen. Of course it didn’t as a few days later I was told It was delayed, wouldn’t make the delivery date and I had to start all over again with cancelling the order and now paying out of pocket to the TV installation service for cancelling twice. Go anywhere but here! Everyone sells TVs and you can get them in a few days. Don’t buy their excuse of using specialized shipping methods and carriers that takes 2 weeks from IL to NJ. They make guarantees they can’t deliver on and no pun intended here.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Re: Delivery and set up of new Samsung washing machine. After delivery and set up, I signed the bottom line to accept delivery. I should have known better. I was unaware that the hose guide, a plastic device that keeps the washing machine drain hose in an upside down U-shape to facilitate its installation into the standpipe, had not been left with us, or even used. I didn't realize it until the following day as I was reading through the manual to get a more detailed idea of the features of the machine. Among the items INCLUDED with the machine is a hose guide. It is clearly stated in the manual. It also should have been an easy item to spot during the unpacking process, which happened out on the street, instead of up closer to the house (my garage was wide open and available).

This may seem like a small item that isn't critical to the operation of the machine. Yes, it is not critical. But over time, vibration may cause the drain hose to become loose and noisy, or even fail. The hose will stay put for now, as it is tied off to one of the incoming water lines now. But that's not the point here. An item that was part of the "machine" was not properly attached to my new machine's drain hose. Because I could not observe the unpacking process I could not verify that the hose guide was either included or missing. So now, out of sight, out of mind. I am left to trust the delivery team, which I will never do again.

I have since contacted customer service (yesterday, 1/20) to have one ordered and sent to me, at Abt Electronics expense. This item costs money. Probably not much, but if this oversight is multiplied by the number of deliveries over the course of a year, it can add up to hundreds, or thousands, of dollars in unnecessary expenditures. I hope this is just an isolated incident, but I fear that it is not. (I saw quite a few on Ebay...) The delivery team should have identified the issue right away when it was necessary to tie off the drain hose in the first place. I, the customer, should have been advised that it was missing from the packing materials (if that was the case). As I am not in the business of selling appliances, it never occurred to me that a hose guide would have been supplied with the machine. One way to alleviate this problem is to always have the customer present to observe the unpacking of the appliance.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

We are going on our 5th day of dealing with Abt and it has been an AWFUL experience. We purchased a Fisher & Paykel cooktop from Abt. During installation they cracked our 2" Granite countertop in three places AND the cooktop they installed was broken and leaking gas. When we called Abt to tell them about the issues they said they could send someone out in a couple of days. Not only was there a gas leak, but they damaged our counters and didn't even provide a working cooktop.

We are going on our 5th visit from Abt, 2nd visit-senior tech sent to ensure the stove was actually leaking gas, 3rd visit-tech to take away the broken cooktop, 4th visit -granite guys sent to fix the granite which will never be the same and the damage can be seen-the guys that fixed the granite were great but it’s broken granite so will never be perfect again, and 5th visit they delivered a new stove...and it is DAMAGED. They have done nothing to compensate us for our time or the permanent damage to our countertops or the inconvenience of taking FIVE days off work. This is the worst experience I have ever had.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I purchased a 55" Sony TV through ABT because it was the best deal I could find on Cyber Monday. No tax and no shipping cost. Beat Amazon because they were not charging me the 8% tax. The TV stopped working after an hour (not ABT's fault) and Sony wanted to send me a new power adapter but I knew it was not the power adapter because I tested it and it was fine. Called ABT and they shipped a new replacement TV the next business day and arranged for pickup of the broken one with the delivery at no cost. Excellent people, price and service.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I bought a pair of speakers through Amazon. They sold the pair and Amazon was to fulfill the order. This was for a PAIR of speakers for $499. I checked the tracking and noticed they only sent one speaker, while in transit. I called them and they said the description was wrong (they blamed Amazon) and they will call UPS and have the one speaker returned to them. It was their mistake on the website, I saw it and wanted to purchase the PAIR. Needless to say after I called Abt, they deleted their part of the fulfillment to look like they weren't there. EXTREMELY DECEITFUL!! Just because they messed up on the price, they should honor it! If you found something in a store that was marked wrong, the store always honors the price. Too bad Abt does not care for customers. All they care about is the sale and how much profit they can put in their pockets. NEVER AGAIN will I deal with these clowns. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I had one the worst ever experiences shopping with them!!! They took 2 months to deliver my items, then we found out that they were missing a fridge!!! I called them asking for urgent replacement and they asked me to wait 2 to 3 weeks because they could not contact me...

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I had not ordered from them in quite some time everything seemed fine until it came time to track down the delivery (which brought back the memory of why I had not ordered in so long). I was told a date of 11/30 when I first checked in online with pilot tracking I could see there was a problem. The TV was coming from IL to NY but it indicated it had departed from IL and arrived in NY but then showed it was back in IL. I called and was told that the information online was wrong but I would still get it on 11/30.

I had to call again when nothing was delivered on 11/30. I was then told they had to look and get back to me they did and said now it would be Monday 12/4. I called on 12/1 to confirm since no change had been made to the online status. I was confronted for calling again by the person in customer service at ABT she made as if it were fun to make multiple phone calls for a single delivery. I apologized and said goodbye. Not worth the hassle back to Amazon.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I scheduled service on my clothes dryer. The morning of service the tech called and asked the brand and type of clothes dryer so that he could put parts in his truck. I said I did not know but I would call home and find out the brand and type of dryer. I then asked if he would call back? He said yes. He never called back. He came to my house at the end of the day in a big big rush and spent 5 minutes (only putting his hand on top of the dryer) and determined that my vent needed cleaning. I said, "Great. Do you have a ladder" and he said, "Oh that's another department". I don't understand this, I called service (which turned out to be $166 dollars for a 5 minute call) for a simple fix but he doesn't clean the vent? Abt needs to call in a specialist to clean the vent? Is vent cleaning brain surgery? I asked if the call applies to vent cleaning and tech said that it did not.

The morning of service he called to say that he was going to put parts for my dryer on the truck but after saying that he'd call back he didn't take 60 seconds to call back. This leads me to believe that I was set up for a second call long before the tech arrived. The vent cleaning is $189 and so I called to complain. They gave me a $33 credit. This token gesture isn't good enough. Maybe Abt is forgetting that half the reason people shop at Abt is service. If I am buying at Abt solely for price then I better shop around a whole lot more. I am feeling that Abt has such a good business that they are not worried about individual customer complaints. Additionally the tech was in such a rush when he called in the morning and such a rush when he came for service in the afternoon. It was almost rude.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I have no complaints about the sales agents or prices. 9 days after my order, I hadn't heard anything about my appliances' delivery so I called Abt and discovered the range had been discontinued, but no one had notified me. The agent nicely threw in a little freebie to the order to make them look good. A couple of days later I called in to make sure the right phone number was in the record (we'd dropped our landline) and was told that my appliances were in the nearby city.

I should be hearing from them anytime to schedule the delivery. But 5 days later I'd heard nothing. Abt uses Custom Global air freight and Custom Global contracts with locals to deliver. But their local partner didn't deliver to our area, so the appliances just sat on their dock until I called and raised a ruckus. Terrible order fulfillment and delivery experiences.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

Order a Denon AVR-X2300W and am pleased on the super quick shipping. Will definitely buy again... Hopefully I will not have any issues but by reading the reviews they are very quick to make you a happy customer. I would definitely recommend them to all my friends via social media.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I cannot believe this 65 inch tv can be so bad!! I am retired and watch TV several hours a day, and this pc of crap is killing me. Have to keep blinds closed to even see a picture. Abt was given a good review by CR, I will be getting. With them next. Paid a guy way too much to install, outside speakers, etc. Now I have to go buy another TV so I will not get depressed watching this thing!

Original review: July 17, 2017

Purchased all new kitchen appliances and a new washer and dryer. Sales person screwed up the order, deleting the micro from the appliance package we purchased and put the wrong washing machine on the order. (Delivery day came and they didn't have the micro and wrong washer). Had to take more time off work to wait for the correct appliances. Then the freezer didn't work, the fridge hasn't stopped running for 7 days. Took a day off work for the Service tech sent out only to find out they are installation guys and didn't have a clue what they were doing! Now taking another day off work for a certified service tech to come out and fix the problem that was supposed to be taken care of today because they sent out delivery guys instead of a repair guy!!! BEYOND FRUSTRATED.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Greatest customer service I have experienced anywhere in such a long time! Thought we would be shopping for hours and because of the knowledge and expertise of Zach we were in and out with a new dishwasher in less than a half hour.

Original review: July 16, 2017

Checked several sellers before ordering this dehumidifier from Abt in Glenview IL. They are an old company (since 1936) and offered free shipping and a competitive price. Ordering from their websites was simple and their responses and shipping notification were prompt and informative. The dehumidifier arrived by UPS Ground undamaged and on the date they advised. Because of several hundred negative reviews of the Frigidaire model FFAD7033R1 online for poor reliability and failure after only 1 year or less, I purchased the 3 year protection plan from Abt. All the different brands and models of dehumidifiers with reviews online also had terrible reliability, most being manufactured by the same company in China however the FFAD7033R1 was rated best by Consumer Reports magazine.

Reliability of the dehumidifier is outside the control of the seller, Abt so this 5-star rating is for their performance during sales and delivery. I will submit a later review specifically for the reliability and performance of the machine itself depending on proven reliability and performance over time. After only 5 days' use, it gets 5 stars because of initial quality, design and performance as received.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I ordered a Canon SX60 HS camera on the 4th of July. Since it was a holiday, I expected that it may take a week or longer to arrive. Well, 3 days later it was on my doorstep! A week later I noticed that Amazon had a lower price, so I called Abt to see if they price match. One of my sons always does this with his Discover card, so I thought I would give it a shot. Within a few hours, I received a receipt via e-mail for the $20 credit. Exceptional selection of products and wonderful customer service!

Original review: July 13, 2017

I have heard of this company for several years, and the high consumer ratings they have received. This the first opportunity that I have had to purchase an item from them. I have agree that they are very fast and efficient in handling orders. I will certainly refer to them in future purchases.

Original review: July 9, 2017

Abt has given us wonderful customer service on three separate purchases in the last three years. Recently I ordered a microwave and received it less than 24 hours later. After about two weeks the microwave turntable developed a problem. Abt was very quick to provide a replacement. The new microwave seems to be fine and we are very relieved with the ease of the exchange.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I ordered a new release Nikon camera and lens (lens was a preorder). Camera was in stock so assumed it would be shipped first. Checked my email from ABT and camera for some reason wouldn't be shipped for a few weeks (even though in stock) and lens was 7-14 days. I needed that camera for a vacation to Glacier National Park July 22! I placed a call to customer service, and a helpful woman (don't remember her name) split the order and camera was shipped right away! Delivered in 2 days, and just received the lens on Wed. I am very pleased, with their customer service department for fixing the order. Well done!

Original review: July 6, 2017

The oven in my 8 year Amana range would no longer heat up. I reached out to Abt and purchased the igniter thinking this would help. When I called the service dept they connected me to the parts dept. I had to provide them with the model and serial number and they were able obtain the part in like 2-3 days. They didn't pressure me to pay for a service call or buy a new unit. The staff was very friendly and gave only what I needed. My brother is mechanically incline and was able to swap out the part.

Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem. The oven didn't work. I had to buy a new stove. I called back to Abt and ended up working with Jeanette in sales and she was wonderful. I informed her of what happened and explained that I needed a new stove. Again, she was very helpful didn't push me to get more than I needed. I was very indecisive and overwhelmed by the different styles and choices. She was very patient, and answered the million questions I had. She was able to accommodate my delivery date and I love my new stove. My refrigerator is starting to go out and I will be back to Abt when it goes out. Everyone I dealt with was very nice and friendly, I won't think about shopping elsewhere.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Great customer focused service! Outstanding turnaround times even on special order items! I've placed several online orders with them recently and they always keep the customer informed of the order status. Great job all the way around!

Original review: July 3, 2017

I purchased some professional sound recording equipment from Abt recently. I found what I needed relatively quickly, they had name brands that I trusted, the checkout was as smooth as one would expect, and the items arrived in good shape as ordered quickly. Can't ask for more than that!

Abt Company Information