3.8/5 (947 ratings)

About Planet Fitness

Planet Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planet Fitness?

Original review: June 28, 2022

I canceled my membership in person, as instructed over the phone. The person at the counter said that has been taken care of. For many months, I did not check my bank statement carefully. But I just found out that I had been charged for the membership month after month. They refused to give me any refund. They said that there is no record of me canceling it. Just because their employee made a mistake, I have to pay for it. User's recommendation: Membership fee is cheap. But I guess this is how they make extra money. Don’t go to Orem one.

Original review: June 28, 2022

I was at my Monday 5 AM workout and while on the treadmill I noticed that 25% of the TV's were not working....again! This had been the case for about the last 3 weeks. Back 3 weeks ago, when the counter was manned, I notified the attendant. Used to be months ago when this occurred. The attendant would actually come out and look at the situation, not 3 weeks ago. Then about 2 weeks ago a new attendant came in and was never at the desk. Once I saw the sign that there was man cleaning the women bathroom and figured that was where he was.

Friday I decided to write a note to the Manager and mention the now constant lack of functioning TV's. I sought a place where it would be seen. I saw tape on the counter so I took some and looked for a place to tape the note. I decided to tape it to the monitor of one of the computers. At that instant the Trainer strolled in and he said "What are you doing behind the counter?" I said, "Oh, here you can give this note to the manager about the TV's not working for weeks now." I handed him the message and walked out.

Later the manager called me and said my membership of 8 years was terminated. I asked why, she said, "You went behind the counter, you cannot go behind the counter." I said "I was taping a message to you about the TV's not working." She said, "I watched the video and you looked at a computer." I said no, I was taping the message to the computer. She said, "Sorry upper management has made the decision to terminate you." I said there is no sign saying to not go behind the counter, how was I supposed to know? She said, "You can file a complaint online." Only a Nazi organization terminates someone for trying to communicate with the manager with a note when the attendant behind the desk is gone. BTW, the attendant was in the women's bathroom for my entire 45 minute workout, I guess you can't have cameras in the Locker Room huh? Suspicious? Planet Fitness should be called Planet **. It's run by tiny minded morons.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I am a long-time Planet Fitness member. I signed up in January I believed and only used my membership once. Life circumstances lead me to the need of cancellation. I called the club in late March or early April to cancel. From my recollection, the very empathetic lady said, "No problem." This week I noticed my payment of $10.83 had been drafted twice. Ok this shouldn’t be a problem and oh I was wrong. I finally track down ‘my club’ after multiple calls and the lady had no empathy and no understanding and really just talked over her customer.

I just want what was told to me. This seems as if this could be an easy process. I’m sure if it was taking money it would be an easy process. Perhaps it was just the lady with no empathy that was the problem. Planet has been my gym of choice for years so I’ll have to digest all this. I really want to warn the potential new customer. I have nothing but time and I’m sure my negative reviews will far out surpass the 2 payments of $10.83. I really don’t understand businesses with no customer service. It’s a shame! Gym below: 13923 Nacogdoches, San Antonio TX 78217

Original review: June 17, 2022

I have been treated in a rude way with one of the staff members with no fault from my side, he asked me to leave the building and he is going to cancel my membership. When I asked him what is the reason he said no reason!!!. I requested to talk to a manager he refused and refused to provide manager's contact, I hope management take care of that kind of discrimination which is unacceptable and not legal.

Original review: June 16, 2022

Ke see2 (Doug), The trainer, at Londons, Planet Fitness, is patient, adaptive, informative, he cares about your journey into health and fitness. He encourages you by his willingness to work right where you're at.

Original review: June 2, 2022

I thought I was going to be moving and I upgraded to the black card. I decided not to move and requested to downgrade back to the basic plan and I was told that there would be a $58 cancellation fee for the black card and if I wanted to renew the basic plan again it would be a additional annual fee incurred and I thought that was just so distasteful so I decided that I would just cancel the plan. Because that was just wrong in my opinion in the company needs to have better standards or values for itself. What a disgrace for a company.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Well before my daughter went upstate to college she stopped In our local Planet Fitness to end her membership until after graduation. Well, couple years later I realized my account was being billed for her account and it was never cancelled. Despite her memory of cancellation her lack of email proving it was cancelled negated them from refunding us despite them knowing she did not enter a PF since she went to college. I have a few issues with that. What if she never got the email? What if the person who processed her cancellation screwed up? Sadly she never knew as it was billed to my account and I never noticed it as I pay for my entire family's PF accounts. Very bad policy.

Original review: May 21, 2022

The manager at Vivian ** was not polite or caring for me thinking if canceling due to my daughter being able to attend gym. She kept saying, "So do you wanna cancel? Do you want to cancel?" She asked 3 times like she wanted me to cancel. Why do you have managers with that kind of personality? You look business that way. It’s not a way to treat someone who helps pay for her paycheck.

Original review: May 21, 2022

I received a card to join for $1 down and $10/month. When I arrived they told me they would not honor that price as it was a mistake. They then rejected my free trial offer saying “my manager won’t let us do that anymore.” This is bait and switch at its worst. Go to a quality gym that is upfront about its prices and fees and not so crooked.

Original review: May 8, 2022

My husband and I decided to get gym memberships to our local gym back in October.. Since then my husband accepted a job that takes him out of town for months at a time.. This place continues to charge my acct each and every month for 50$.. I do not drive.. I've called them repeatedly to stop and cancel our membership.. We've visited the gym 3 times.. 3 times!!! AND MY HUSBAND I ARE STILL BEING CHARGED 50$ A MONTH! I truly believe this is a scam.. Makes me curious on how many others that are out there like us.. Will we be refunded.. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Original review: May 6, 2022

I belonged to the gym on McGregor Blvd for 6 years. The first 5 were ok...Nothing special just close by but the location isn;t great. The machines were limited or broken and there was a delay in fixing them. Customer service was null and really went downhill the last year with the new management. I also saw many workers come and go the last year. Planet Fitness is a franchise of a big conglomerate and you can't even find out who the owner is so I guess that's why their staff get limited training which makes them Very unprofessional. I no longer go there. So I joined Crunch Fitness and I love it. Great location, bigger place and many beautiful machines. Customer service can't be beat. You'll love their customer service! Give Crunch Fitness a try Instead.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I was able to easily upgrade my membership from Basic to Black, but now that I realize I don't use those services, to downgrade requires an in-person visit. The next hurdle I expect is 'You have to come back when a Manager is here.' I will let you know if I'm right, after I completely cancel the membership.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I'm a disabled senior and like all seniors on a fixed income from SS these times are exceptionally hard with skyrocketing rent, grocery prices going up daily, and of course the outrageous price of gas and car repairs. Last night (Monday April 18 2022) I went to the Canton Ga Planet Fitness to workout. I was told my membership had expired. I got nothing from the management about it is time to renew my membership. Not a call knowing how easy that is as my cell number is used whenever I enter. Not a text again knowing how easy that is as they use my number so often. Not even an email which is also on file.

I have previously suffered public discrimination from the management at this club when the manager lambasted me there in the seating area at the entrance while I rested and cooled down from exercise. I require much longer periods of rest to cool down because I was extensively burned at 12 and therefore it takes me much longer to cool down. The manager publicly harangued me trying to make a case that I cannot sit quietly with my phone as I cool down.

Now I drive to the gym to work out and I'm informed that my membership has expired. No notification beforehand of any kind. I was not allowed to work out while I was there. In these hard times to allow your disabled seniors to burn expensive gas to discover they are not going to allowed to workout is CS that is worth less than a turd. I offered to pay but the club would not accept my Paypal. At that time paypal was where my money was and not in my bank account so I could not use my debit card.

Had I refused to pay then to be told I could not workout would fit. I did offer to pay but the club refused my card because they don't take paypal which is a famous global form of payment. After suffering public discrimination and now being turned away from my workout because the club refuses a famous globally renowned form of payment is the pinnacle of stupidity and the most customer unfriendly treatment from a national franchise where you need your customers to "want" to pay for your service. I got the kind of service that makes customers hopping mad and totally disgusted to the point of seriously considering going with your competition.

It is my hope that the people at the national level take action to correct the slipshod, lazy, disrespectful, injurious customer treatment found at this club. Clearly no true business professional wants this type of malfeasance to continue and infuriate more and more of hard earned customers. After all you are there to "grow" your business not grow your competition, right?

Original review: April 18, 2022

This is the worst place ever, so inconvenient the way this place runs. It's hideous. Not open 24 hours over the weekends and when I need to shower before going to work the locker-room is closed, it really sucks.

Resolution response: April 8, 2022

I had to call billing after they said they couldn't and billing could see the account and gave me an account number and the gym finally resolved it. I know IT creates issues but I think they could have handled this a lot better but after all that the issue was resolved.

Original review: April 7, 2022

After being a member for a year, Planet Fitness lost the record of my daughter's account and they will not stop billing me. After spending a couple hours trying to straighten this out with a couple of different people at the gym, I was told that they cannot stop billing me. There is no one for them to talk to or contact about billing me. The only way I can permanently stop the billing through my bank is to close my account. And as a temporary solution they put a picture up on the system that will pull up when she tried to get in and tell staff to let her in - the problem was it was a picture of a different person and a different race. This is beyond ridiculous. They are basically saying that once they start billing you if there is ever a problem they will bill you forever. Stay away from this gym.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I have to be at work at 4:AM and this location is literal 3 minutes from my job...which is on my way to work. I had complained twice about the cold showers and no "HOT" water. I had even let the shower run for 5 minutes. I "EVEN" turn on 2 other showers, with the same "FREEZING" cold water. There was no one at the desk but seen the PF worker working around earlier during my workout. I called the location today 03/29/2022, to speak with Supervisor, and she told me that the MEN had "COMPLAINED" already about no hot water in showers. She was ruthless and didn't care about having "HOT" showers or hot water. That "Supervisor" recommended me to go another LOCATION! After I told her I tested 3 out 4 showers...that I need to shower before heading to work. DISGUSTING MANAGEMENT! I will be calling the HOUSTON CITY STATE BOARD...NEXT.

Original review: March 28, 2022

In December of 2020 I placed my account on a 6 month hold which went from January 2021 to July of 2021 when Planet Fitness began charging me a monthly fee. Those fees have been taking out automatically from my credit card. This month, March 2022, I was charged $39 for an annual fee along with the $10 monthly fee. I have not been going to their facility since the beginning of the pandemic and had not returned so today I stopped to cancel my membership. I was told I had a $15 late fee from December of 2020 that needed to be paid before I could cancel. They could not tell me where this late fee came from and I objected because they have had access to my bank or credit card all along. Finally I just went ahead and paid that additional $15. Never did I receive any late notice. I find their way of doing business unacceptable. Glad to be done with them.

Original review: March 24, 2022

Deeply saddened by the abuse and Bullying I experienced from being a member here. Women who worked at front barked, were rude, demanding when I had lost my phone and necklace went looking for it. It seemed she was on a power trip and just plain didn't like me and felt superior by ordering me, an adult around. I felt comfortable at that gym until they came around. That general area is sketchy and I always regularly get dirty looks for being me. Sad they are haters. I asked her not to speak to me rudely, and she reacted with an even meaner, nasty attitude as if she were a 3-year-old. "No, you're being rude!", she says this to a member? I tried to speak with manager and they were clearly comrades. I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere speaking with manager.

So this other Bullying, nasty woman at the front (member) started making fun of me and laughing at me, when she knew nothing of what just happened. I felt like such an outsider, so judged, and discriminated against which is why I reacted the way I did. Corporate doesn't even exist, No help at all, and they can treat other citizens exactly how they want and get away with it. Mob organization. AND THEY STOLE MY NECKLACE... I have no doubt about it! As well, my phone ended up being there after all this! Their mean spirited, discriminating behavior will come back on them.

Original review: March 10, 2022

Horrible customer service from Cathy Manager, I called to say that my brother because of COVID didn’t go to the gym. She said no refund, no credit, treated me so badly, didn’t let explain nothing plus saying lies, horrible management by Planet Fitness Co. She also said three months were refunded which it never happened, very unprofessional staff for sure!

Original review: March 5, 2022

Front desk as well as managers, have poor customer service etiquette. The gym is not well ventilated, bathrooms floor are dirty and always wet. Manager tend to act immature about this situations and careless about what members said to her. I am a member at Jackson Heights.

Original review: March 3, 2022

I purchased this membership as it came highly recommended on a couple VanLife blogs as being a good countrywide gym option for traveling. I ended up having nothing but issues and hardly ever used the membership. I’m still confused as to whom and what can be done and where it has to be done. I tried several times to reach out to management on the phone and though I was told my membership would be canceled it was not as there seems to be a kick the can down the road message service. I won’t bore you with the details of the year and a half of payments and maybe 5 visits total to this cheap but typical hoping you just pay and don’t go gym. The one time I actually got to go into a club for the purpose I bought the membership for, after about 45 minutes the front desk staff finally just let me in after nothing was working properly to get me added correctly.

This company has the worst communication amongst each location and honestly shouldn’t be selling a multi location membership as it’s been completely inconsistent with who can actual manage a membership. The manager at the wrong location finally canceled my membership but then couldn’t forward anything to the manager or corporate office, not a good choice when you have a customer with valid concerns. It sure feels like I paid for something that was very difficult for me to use, there was no real customer service, and then a final not gonna even listen to what you have to say ignore. Good luck with that attitude. I sold my Planet Fitness stock despite a motley fool’s recommendation to keep it as I just don’t see how it will keep its doors open once people start cutting expenses. I’d rather pay more and go to a gym that I can actually get into and knows how to communicate and understand what it means to be in the service industry.

Original review: March 3, 2022

DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM. They make cancelling impossible. I moved out of California 2 years ago. Tried cancelling the Daly City membership. They would not help me. The continued to charge my membership fee for the last 2 years. This year they charged me another $39. When you call ABC billing they will not help you. STAY AWAY!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

PF works hard to claim a non-judgmental atmosphere. It is their main marketing plug. They are however the most judgmental club I have joined. At many of their clubs they have a super sized sign mocking people they refer to as lunks. In that sign they mock people who hydrate (since when is that bad), people who wear sleeveless T-shirts (most of AZ) and those who drop weights (clearly a new lifter learning or an accident).

Tonight in Henderson AZ I noticed an alarm on that sign because the judge mental tweaks at the desk keep setting it off harassing a guest who dropped his weights And then I have no clue because they just kept doing so. They told me it was policy if someone dropped their weights that they had to set it off. This is judgmental over the top, making them the industry's hypocrites. Other gyms put trainers out on the floor who can coach for safety and help new lifters figure out how to not drop weights. However PF would prefer to mock and harass, not cool.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

Planet Fitness is cheap, but you get what you pay for. The $10 experience. Staff separates weight from general workout area into the stretching room causing member to fight over weights, plus the minute you walk to get a drink your weights/machine is stolen. Rife with inhospitable cancel culture people. Rude angry members. Athletes foot & Staph bacteria laden.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

Opened a membership at my "home gym" in Nampa- then moved to Boise shortly after. Was told that I couldn't cancel over the phone, I had to go into my home gym or send a handwritten letter with a signature. You can't even cancel online. I assumed with COVID they would take a verbal signature. Nope. So, I sent a letter with my signature and my membership was still "pending cancellation." They wouldn't let me update a card over the phone (like if it's been compromised). They charged me late fees and sent my "past due" balance to collections. I have been trying to cancel for just under a year- I shouldn't have had a balance at all. I went into my home gym and told them the situation and they charged me for 7 months. I haven't even stepped foot in the gym for an entire year. DON'T GYM HERE. THE SERVICE QUITE FRANKLY SUCKS.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I wanted to terminate my membership with Planet Fitness, but was offered only two options: come in to cancel in person, or send a handwritten letter with my information and signature (no actual cancellation form). Because I moved to CO from OH, I'm forced to send a letter for termination. I’m astonished that in 2022 this is the way Planet Fitness decides to carry out this procedure. It appears to me that PF’s strategy with this is to make termination as difficult as possible. I have to actually pay the post office for postage just to terminate my membership, even though PF has a robust website and app on which membership and account details are held, but no option to terminate.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

I was a black card member as of 1/2023. These people are scammer. They are using an international ABC banking system that went in my account several times within the two months stealing my money. My membership is twenty one a month, I have been paying more every month. They forced you to provide a checking and credit card number so their ABC international bank can draft from both of your account monthly. I have only been a member for two month and used their facility once. They have no clue and will not tell the truth. I have cancel my membership and they are still planning to take more money out of my account on the 1st of next month. Beware scammer... International banking facility... No way to speak with anyone. Coming in our neighborhood stealing and taking advantage of innocent elderly customers. Not trustworthy...

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

The managers Chase and Hope were supportive during my training. They never made me feel uncomfortable during the time that I worked there. When Covid-19 happened they did their best to accommodate all employees and staff.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

I am thoroughly pleased with my PF experience. My club is in Chapel Hill and the staff are courteous and professional. Huge shout to (and hope they promote him) Elijah. He always makes me feel welcomed and valued as a customer/client. And PF should clean up their cancellation policy. My daughter had a similar experience after leaving for college. They don't make it easy and meanwhile keep taking from your bank account.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

A customer's ability to cancel their membership is riddled with hurdles. You are not allowed to call/email the club to cancel. You must either be physically present (which is impossible if you've recently moved) or send a physical note requesting cancellation which the office can just claim to have not received. DO NOT RECOMMEND joining unless they fix such anti-consumer policies.

Planet Fitness Company Information