1.15/5

364 New York Sports Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I've canceled my membership in September. When I went to cancel my membership I went to the gym at Atlas Park Queens New York to speak to a young lady. She was too busy answering her Instagram and Facebook in order to reply or answer my questions. She flung off paper and a pen and said, "Sign here". When I try to ask questions regarding my policy she did not answer. She said she doesn't know. Management doesn't even exist in this place. I requested to speak to someone. Never did.

Furthermore it took them 2 weeks to answer me in regards to my cancellation. They advised that out it would be charges which were paid. Then two months later they charge me another $60 for membership for the following year which I was not using. I was canceling not renewing. I think they get those words confused. Not only does this charge does not make sense it's ridiculous and instead of trying to talk or understand they just say, "It the policy. That's what you signed up for," and hang up the phone on you. I would urge anyone who wants a quality gym this is definitely not it. Also 90% of the time the sauna room does not work. They always say they're working on it to fix it but they never actually fix it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I upgraded my membership to regional and it was not processed correctly. I was charged $15 each time I went to the other gym, not too my knowledge I was charged $105 for those fees (Sept 29); was told it will be a credit. I called the gym. They said they'd fix it and issue me a credit on my debit card. When I called they also charged me $59.99 (Oct 1) to upgrade not including the months worth of membership and then I was charged $35.25 (Oct 2) for the non-upgraded membership the day after I upgraded. I'm ready to cancel the whole membership and I want all of my money back because I spent $200 within a week for what? Garden City gym has old equipment and nothing is sanitary; honestly it's gross. The Massapequa gym doesn't even have a sauna or steam room. It's TOTAL ** that I'm not being given credit on my debit card. I DO NOT want a credit to my membership account. I want a credit to my debit card and to end this membership.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I signed up for NYSC at $20 3 years ago. They kept raising the price after a year, I asked if they can keep my price the same, they said they will. But I kept getting billed for the raised price. Asked them 5 more times with no results and I finally gave up and canceled my account. They said they are going to charge me $30 for cancellation and it was in the original contract I signed. Since they kept changing my contract by increasing my fees I called up the customer service and asked if they can waive the fees since the original price I signed changed numerous times. Service rep couldn't help me, I asked to speak to a manager, she wouldn't speak to me instead just told the rep to tell me the same thing. Was very disappointed with their service and will never go with them again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I visited 91st & 3rd Avenue NYSC and canceled my membership with a representative. They charged me for a further 2 months and said I had no proof. Get evidence from NYSC after you cancel your membership.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I pay for laundry service at NYSC. The company they subcontract to is so bad they can't even bring laundry back within a week. The entire New York Sports experience is subpar to all other gyms in NYC... but this club's inability to get my laundry back has ruined entire weeks for me. It's time to pay up for a real quality gym, which New York Sports is not. The club is cheap. You get what you pay for. I am furious.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Sports Club?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

NYSC Ramsey NJ - terrible unsafe conditions - This location is terrible, it's been having issues with overheating temperature all summer. Per staff, the company was working on resolving this issue, however, it is now a major concern for me. It's been almost three months since I first raised this issue - temperature rising to 75F on the exercise floor. I came back today, September 9th, after vacation, after not being here for the past three weeks and the issue only gotten worse. The outside temperature today is 61F and cloudy. When I came through the front door I got blasted with the heat wave.

Sure enough I was right - the temperature on the exercise floor was 73F and it certain areas even higher. I ended up heading to the cycling studio, the one that usually is the only place that is comfortable enough when the AC in the main area is not functioning properly. However, even in the cycling room the temperature was above 70F, it didn't go below 70.2F, and I was the only one there... I am sure it took the measurement during the spin class with too full of people it would get close to 80F. The staff is not helpful at all, there is no management on the premises on Sunday, just the membership consultants... Can anyone at the corporate office or district manager please address this?!? It's been going on for too long already!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Unfortunately I canceled my membership because the prices continue to increase without services to match it. Steam rooms don’t function properly, a rat crawled out of the toilet in the ladies restroom downstairs, classes fill up way too fast and I was not benefiting from this gym in any way. The only class I could get into and enjoyed was boxing.

Another reason I canceled my membership is because when I had questions regarding the pricing of my membership I was placed on hold for 20-30 minutes waiting for Ricardo ** to take my calls. He never answers his calls and I was told that he left or was in a meeting or not in his office. I was only able to reach him via email. The customer service at this NYSC City Hall location is non-existent.

When I came in to cancel I was not informed of the 45 days it would take to cancel nor was I informed of the “pro-rated amount” would be. I also was not informed that there would be a cancellation fee to which Ricardo ** was very smug about. I will be taking my business to Blink down the street for a fair price and better customer service. This is the worst gym I’ve ever joined.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

This is surely the worst run swimming pool at NYSC. The manager, Rick I believe, is amazingly incompetent. How does he ever keep a job. On Labor Day weekend, at 10:20 AM the lifeguard starts to chase out people from the pool. Why? "The manager told me to start cleaning the pool!" "Can I speak with the manager?" "He is not here!" So a dozen or so people are chased out, even though the facility was open until 5 PM.

Two and half months ago, the same Ricky was repairing the pool heater. "We will be closed for 2 days to replace the heater. Then, we need another 3 days for the part I didn't order. Then, we need another week as it is taking longer," and so it continued for 2 months. The management method of a blind squirrel. Has no clue what he is doing.

With the heater replaced, Rick has to prove that it works, so he is running the water and the air so hot that he will give a heart attack to 50% of his elderly customers. Of, and he likes to switch men's and women's room every once in a while with minimal signage - can't tell you how much confusion this causes. Until somebody sues the club for an equivalent of sexual harassment. Whoever had similar experiences, please share them to get rid of this guy.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

NYSC is easily the worst gym in NYC, regardless of cost. The space is dank, the people who work there unmotivated (at a gym no less) and customer service is no-existing. As with other, I've experienced A/C outages that lasted months (14th Street/5th Ave- since closed), people not showing up to open the gym in the morning, leaving a dozen people in gym gear on the street waiting for someone to show at (and that was at 6:30am, a full hour after open), locker rooms that look like toilets themselves and various equipment left all over the floor without any staff monitor or floor assistance. In a nutshell, NYSC is the worst. For the money, choose Blink (if close to you), NYHRC (if close to you), YMCA (if close to you), Crunch (if close to you) or Equinox (if you can afford it). All are run like businesses with a central point of leadership and management. Town Sports/NYSC is run amuck!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I signed up for some sort of free or minimal-cost trial they were doing for the New Year last winter, and wound up not deciding to join this gym as I joined another. Since May, or longer, I forget, I have been getting multiple calls daily by a credit collections agency on behalf of NYSC. This is impossible that I owe them money as I was never a member and, more importantly, because I simply do not owe them money! This is a form of harassment and this gym is run by crooks, and considering how many other people have shared similar (and even worse) experiences, I don't think they should be in business anymore!

They are outsourcing other companies to harass ex-members and non-members in an attempt to collect unauthorized, perhaps even fraudulent funds. It is so frustrating getting 2-6 spam calls a day, during business meetings, while I'm sleeping, etc. No wonder people hate this gym! It has a horrible reputation and for good reason. Don't join, don't even do a trial — you'll regret it. There are so many better options out there.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

NYSC Cobble Hill Brooklyn criminal business practices. I joined the gym with my boyfriend while living in Brooklyn. A high pressure personal trainer approached me and sold me for a personal training session while I was on the treadmill - and I agreed to buy a few sessions with her. She had me digitally sign what I was told was a liability waiver. I had no idea I was signing something that said I had to cancel in writing and/or that I was agreeing to anything more than a few sessions. She never let me see what I was agreeing to and assured me it was only to protect her if I got hurt. I canceled my membership with the gym and text the trainer that I was moving out of the area and wasn't going to do any more sessions.

We canceled our membership in person in April. The gym has charged me for membership ever since and the trainer charged me 3 months of training sessions that I never agreed to at a gym I was no longer a member of. Almost $1000 total of charges that were not authorized. I disputed with Amex. The gym sent Amex an agreement I "signed" (must have been forged I never signed an agreement) that indicated I had to provide 30 days notice to cease training (I thought I just bought a few sessions!) Since I canceled in person - and they acknowledged said cancellation they used a different tactic to rob me - they played the "oh you had to cancel in writing" trick. The oldest criminal tactic used by gyms to steal from clients in the books.

Anyone on this forum who would like to start a class action I would love to hear from you. These practices should be examined by the state attorney general's office. There are levels of fraud, forgery and deceptive business practices going on here that should be examined at a much higher level. One only needs to review yelp, the NYSC corporate complaint website, BBB, etc to see the number of victims of this company are prodigious. Some consumer advocacy around this needs to happen ASAP. NYSC is a vile, shady and conscienceless abhorrent company stealing money from the folks who can afford the least.

Original review: July 17, 2018

On 5/09/2018, fitness training consultant Antony ** signed me up for personal training sessions at NYSC. He had me sign a keypad after explaining that the sessions would be $320/month. I had no idea my digital signature from that keypad was going to be placed onto an alleged contract that was never shown to me that day. The next month, I noticed that NYSC overcharged my account. It was for $435 instead of the $320/month that I was told. When I inquired with the personal training manager about the rate increase he was dismissive and said there was nothing he could do about the overcharge, and that I would have to contact their corporate offices.

I then called the NYSC corporate offices and they acknowledged that I was overcharged, but the representative at that number didn’t know why, and directed me to speak to Julie **, the general manager at the local gym. Right after I told Ms. ** about the mysterious rate increase, I was suddenly disconnected. I tried calling back, could not reach her, and she never returned my calls after that.

It seemed like I was getting a classic "runaround" scam. But I did contact the fitness manager once again; this time to cancel my personal training sessions entirely since no one could explain the overcharge. Mr. ** said he would not cancel the personal training sessions because I had allegedly signed a 90-day contract. As explained above, I never saw that contract; I only signed a keypad with no terms or contract in front of me. To my knowledge I had been simply signing up for $320/month sessions. I only became aware of the existence of the alleged contract after my attempt to cancel, when he sent it to me.

To my surprise my signature had been grafted/forged onto the contract without my knowledge using the imprint from the keypad I had signed. I was shocked that my signature was pasted all over a contract I never saw before this. At this point, it was clear he had neglected to make me aware of the alleged agreement during our initial meeting in May 2018, nor was I given a copy of the alleged agreement at that time. He was claiming I signed something that was never put in front of me when he handed me that digital keypad. So a digital image of my signature had been copy-pasted on three separate lines of an alleged agreement without my permission or knowledge on 5/09/2018.

Disgusted and frustrated by the deception, on June 14th, I told him over the phone that I would like to cancel the personal training agreement ENTIRELY and that I wanted to cancel not only the training sessions but my entire NYSC gym membership as well, due to their dishonest and deceptive tactics. He said I'd have to go to the gym in person to cancel. So that's what I did. The next day, on June 15, 2018, I went into the NYSC to make a complaint and cancel in person my membership. After canceling, I was given a receipt, which stated I had a $0 balance. I did not go back to the gym or have any additional personal training sessions after that.

Despite my efforts, during the first week of July I noticed that funds were still being taken from my account by NYSC. I was charged another $93.55 on 7/3/2018, $435 on 7/5/18, $105 on 7/9/18 and $165 on 7/15/18. Apparently NYSC was not abiding by my cancellation of personal training sessions or general gym membership. I emphatically deny any validity of their claims to contractual commitments because my signature was digitally forged onto an alleged agreement I did not see at the time. This has been a nightmarish experience and one which has put me into financial distress. I have researched online to see if other people have had similar experiences with NYSC and their digital keypad-enabled forgery, and there are numerous complaints. I request my funds be returned to my account as soon as possible. FORGERY is not acceptable or legal.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Not only is everything continually broken and in disrepair, they erroneously mark your services as "frozen" when you outright CANCEL personal training services. Been trying to resolve issue for weeks now. I'm not allowed to enter other gyms because of their mess up. Manager never calls me back. Pool is now broken without a date for when that service will be restored. It's disgusting. I want my money back!

Original review: June 28, 2018

I went in to the gym at 41st & 3rd to cancel my membership in August of 2017. Believing all was canceled correctly, I didn't notice until May that they were still charging me monthly. While this is embarrassing on my end, it doesn't give them the right to take my money, as I correctly went in to cancel, and never visited the gym after. I was told they could see that I'd never been in after the date I stated, and that they believed my "story" (offensive use of wording, as it's not a story, but a factual occurrence) but it wasn't good enough.

I called the gym and was apologized to and told my membership was canceled at the moment, but that corporate dealt in refunds. I then called corporate and was told not only was my membership not canceled EITHER in August 2017 or May 2018 when I alerted them to the situation, but that each individual club does refunds. After a long while, I finally got ahold of someone at that gym who was willing to help me. Unfortunately, someone at their club didn't do their job properly, and I was never given any proper paperwork about the cancellation, even after I asked if I needed any.

I asked them to check the security footage to see me come in and cancel, but they said that wasn't good enough for validation, as there is no audio; something that is out of my control. So I asked to speak to the person I spoke with the day of cancellation, but was told he no longer works for them. Something else out of my control. I was told I couldn't get a refund without validation, but when I asked for the forms of validation they could give me, they refused.

The manager finally turned the case over to the "higher-ups" and nearly three weeks went by before I heard from them again; meanwhile I was calling and calling, being told the person was "in a meeting," or "not in yet." I never heard back. I finally got ahold of them again when I found a new corporate contact, and they wanted to hear about the situation. I explained it, and they had the original manager from the club whom I had been dealing with finally call me back. He apologized for not responding, saying he thought the higher management was taking care of it. I said that didn't explain why he didn't return any of my calls. Eventually he said that they couldn't give me the full amount back, but would give me from the beginning of this year through May back in the monthly payments they'd taken from me. To me, this is still unfair, but I agreed, as frankly, I was tired of dealing with this.

He told me to reach out to Ian in corporate about scheduling my refund, but when Ian called me (after ignoring my first email) I was promptly informed I'd not be getting ANY money back. Even after I explained the situation, being thrown around, and not responded to. He offered me a discounted membership though. What an insult! That is the last thing I'd want; belonging to a gym who treats its members so terribly.

I am beyond frustrated and disappointed. In total, they took over $1,000 from me. When I called originally, I was jerked around about who could properly handle my situation, and was lied to twice about being cancelled. When I asked them to check my records of validation, they said it wasn't good enough. When I explained how I followed all proper procedures, but someone from their end didn't do their job correctly, I was told they "felt badly" for me. When I was told I'd get some semblance of a refund, and when I asked for it in writing, I was told this would not happen. AVOID THIS TERRIBLE GYM AT ALL COSTS. They'll take your money, no matter how correctly you follow their cancellation procedures. I am so upset. Over $1,000 down the drain because someone at their location was too lazy to do their job correctly. Despicable.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The gym has not had air conditioning in the studios for over a month now and I can no longer go due to health issues - I'm asthmatic and it has now become a very tough to breathe for me. What are they waiting for? This is a board of health issue and will be the next place I reach out to - someone has to be liable for this! I've been trying to reach someone and only facilities has answered me without things getting done? PLEASE - we need air conditioning in the gym! One month is way too long - 84 degrees in the studio is unexceptionable and unhealthy! We pay good money for what?

Original review: June 11, 2018

Crooks, dishonest. The worst experience I've ever had with a club. Cancelled 1 month before expiration and in person, manager supposedly cancelled but forgot to tell me that the 59.99 annual fee was due that exact same day. Company will not do anything to refund charge. What a nightmare was joining there. Please find another gym! They are not worth it.

Original review: June 11, 2018

This gym caters to intense workouts and weightlifters. They have a selection of group classes (but not a great variety). There is a pool but no group pool classes. There are plenty of ellipticals, treadmills and bikes.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Beware: NYSC Hoboken is a fraud & scam center. I joined for $34.99 monthly membership, they did not give me any agreement letter or receipt & kept on charging $127 on my credit card for 4 months. They never sent me any bill through e-mail or post. When I inquired at their reception, their employee had no idea for what they overcharged me. After repeated inquiry gave me visiting card of their manager Andrew **, who never responded to my mails & came on phone after multiple attempts. He declined to refund any money & asked to approach my bank. On disputing transaction, bank asked them receipt & they sent bank receipt of $127, so bank did not refund overcharged amount. They looted around $500 from me. Joining this gym is most painful & torturous experience of my life. Never join this gym, they will rip-off you money not abs.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I came in to the club in early November to make due for my past account balance (I was one month behind) and to cancel my membership. They told me there was a 45 day period before my account would be considered closed, so I would also be charged for December on the usual date. I gave them a new card which they successfully charged for the past due amount, a few days later the amount for November posted and later December was paid as agreed.

Then they kept charging me month after month afterwards. Once I became aware of this I called the gym multiple times, each time they assured me a manager would return my call and they didn't do that. I also emailed (the person who had sent out an email to me regarding my past due amount back in October) multiple times and he never responded. There were a few other email addresses associated with NYSC I had and tried them also to no avail.

I filed a dispute through my bank for all charges made after December, as well as put a block payment and later was issued a new card. They still are trying to charge me for more months in the future, fight the dispute, and threaten collection on my 'debt'. I don't know what to do. I cancelled my membership but these guys just won't stop charging me.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I've been a member for years. When I first joined it was about $50 a month - a promotion they were offering because I had a membership prior to that and canceled (it was $90/mo and I couldn't keep paying that). So because I canceled months later they offered me this deal. I agreed. I love their gyms although I'm pissed they closed the steam rooms. I love using the steam and sauna rooms but steam room is faster when you're in a rush. I also love taking the classes when I'm bored of working out on machines. Anyway long story short last year they sent me a letter that they were raising my monthly fee $10 more. They didn't ask if I wanted to keep my membership at all.

I didn't like that but I agreed to stay with them. Well this month I checked my bank statement and they raised it $10 more! I didn't get a letter this time or email. I wasn't informed or asked if I wanted to keep it. So it is now $69.99 and that is over my limit! I am canceling once this month is over! They are so sneaky, I'm pissed off. I haven't even gone to the gym in 6 mos and have still been paying. I called their number and spoke to the lady and she told me they raised the fee. So I asked "So are they just going to raise it $10 every year?!" She said "looks like it, yeah..." Wow... Going to join Blink Fitness I think.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I've been a member of NYSC in Livingston for a few years. When I joined, there was a promo to pay $149 upfront which locked in a lifetime monthly fee of just $20. After 2 years, however, they raised my fee to $30! When I complained, no one returned my call. I just got a credit card bill showing a $40 monthly fee! Not only is this in violation to my sign-on promo, but I wasn't even notified of an upcharge! I've heard of other members getting scammed too. Additionally, the facility has gone downhill, with much of the equipment in need of repair and maintenance.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I signed up over a month ago as their monthly rate was really low compared to the other gyms in NYC. However, I was disappointed with the quality of service. Most of the equipment are broken and the locker rooms are pathetic. I cannot even think of walking barefeet in there. However, the event that angered me is that they pinned a late fee on me. My credit card on file got lost and had to get a replacement. Instead of the management giving me a call to suggest that my monthly payment didn't go through (common practice in most businesses), they slapped me with a late fee.

I tried calling my home gym for 3 days straight, no one seems to like answering their phones there. I then went into the gym, where the manager mentioned that they have 1000s of members and it is not possible to contact every one of them. I was like that doesn't make sense because all of their members do not undergo a similar situation that I went through. After a lot of back and forth, he agreed to waive off the late fee. However, I checked my credit statement and the late fee is on there. I am thinking of taking legal action and cancelling my membership.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Long story short, an employee attempted to sign up a colleague as an add-on to my account. The employee was not clear about the terms and fees and then after I cancelled the application he became aggressive and cursed not once but twice (using the F-word). Puffing up and pounding his chest with his palms like a child in high-school and then running out of the gym screaming like an animal after I left and was already down the block.

After complaining to on-site management over the phone she directed me to (Paul **) who after a few calls has done nothing to resolve this and moreover accused me of instigating. When I asked to speak to someone from their corporate office HR since they continue to refuse to have a discussion over email and on the record, I was directed to speak with the Market Director (Ryan **). Ryan keeps insisting that we should discuss this over the phone and has not provided me with the contact information to discuss with someone else. According to Paul I should be getting a refund shortly - I am waiting for this, but he was unable to provide a reason as to why I was charged even though I never completed the application process. A terrible employee like this only exists and continues to work there because management fails to do their jobs to protect its club members. We are clearly only monthly membership fees to them.

Original review: March 19, 2018

This is run by the worst management I have ever experienced in my life. I came into the club at beginning of December to cancel my membership. I did it at this time because I knew the annual fee was approaching and they had raised my membership once again. I called in November and was told I had to come in and cancel which I did I believe Dec 1-2. I filled out all of the paperwork and gave in my tag. Come the middle of December I get charged the annual fee which I was told I would not get charged, and also January 2nd another month charged. I called the club and the manager at the time. Was very nice and apologized and said the person I cancelled with was no longer there and this was not the first she had heard that cancellations didn't go through. She assured me she would cancel the membership and talk to corporate about refunding my money.

With this I was not confident and also gave a heads up to my bank to not let NYSC charge my debit account anymore. Come to see that FEB & March they tried to charge me again! The new manager has sent me emails and has called me every week for the last 3 months letting me know not to worry that he can confirm it is cancelled and then today I was charged another $153. I called corporate who was also useless and told 'em I had to talk to the club. I called the club and what a shock the manager didn't answer and his mailbox is full. Really! I have fees with my bank now for no charge fees along with bills that bounced today due to this. I am beyond dissatisfied and prepared to share this experience with everyone I know and all social media outlets.

Original review: March 16, 2018

This location was closed last July. Was supposed to open in October. Never did. Then was supposed to open in February (never did), then was supposed to open in April and it will not be doing so... Spoke to the workmen on site since I live a block away, and they said that location will not be open until the end of August (at the earliest). Seems strange that I could find out this information but NYSC cannot. Anyway, to those of you waiting for this club to re-open, now you know...

Original review: March 6, 2018

I joined the gym in Whitestone, NY for 1 year. I originally paid for a annual fee and the membership. A year later they charged my card for another annual fee without my consent. For 60 dollars plus an extra "fixed rate" of 50 dollars. The manager at WHITESTONE CLUB told me that my money was going to get refunded, it never happened. They are a SCAM. They love to steal money and trick you. I was never advised of a cancellation fee either. I'm greatly disappointed. DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM, UNLESS YOU WANT MONEY STOLEN FROM YOU.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Worst Experience EVER... My experience is very bad. In the month of November 2017. I went to the NYSC of Garden City, took my best friend to check out this GYM. And they gave us a complimentary one day pass. But they asked us for the credit card anyway. When we finished, we didnt like the GYM. the equipment was everywhere, the bathroom wasn't clean, towels everywhere. Anyways we decided not to sign up and we informed Shakira ** (employee at the front desk) that we did NOT want to continue with the registration. She assured us that there was no contract and that we were good to go.

This credit card I gave them, I do not usually check the monthly statements and to my surprise 2 weeks ago (3 months later) I realized that I have been charged month by month for the 2 memberships. I called Jason ** who is suppose to be the manager of the store and explain the situation. He confirmed that there is NO membership in the system for either of us, but still getting charged month to month. He told me to wait to fix the situation. The amounts are adding up is getting close to $300 NOW. After 1 week and a half I just called him and he has NO answer about my reimbursement. Above all, they treat you with an attitude that makes you tired and that you desist from continuing to call to ask. I will continue to bother until they explain why they charging us without being members.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have been a member of NYSC for about 20 years. Overall, I have been pleased with the various New York City facilities. It is always clean, I love the classes, and staff is so friendly. I have told my friends about it, and I think it’s a great gym. Recently I have taken a new job at 551 Fifth Avenue and started working at the Grand Central station location. This gym is a fire hazard. Not only it’s extremely congested with members, there is so much equipment thrown around that it's creating a tripping hazard. Moreover, there is no air at the gym. It’s like doing hot sweaty yoga. I have mentioned it to the staff members a few times, however, nothing was done.

Lastly, there are no attendants to replace weights or to ensure that the weights are returned back to their appropriate places. So you can imagine my surprise when I found out that as of February 1, 2018 this gym will become an “Elite Gym” which will require me to upgrade my membership. I immediately called the corporate office but was advised that nothing can be done! Frankly, I am appalled: I thought that after 15 years of loyalty, my membership has been “grandfathered in”. This is by no means an Elite Gym: You cannot charge members an elite price and provide substandard services. This degradation of service is unfortunate because I greatly enjoy exercising at NYSC. I wrote to the branch manager but received no response.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

A HORRIBLE UNPLEASANT experience. They only care about getting as much money out of me as possible. I was on a month to month contract, went in to cancel, the guy at the desk said "fine all done" and three months later the DEBT COLLECTORS start to call threatening to destroy my credit rating (!!??). It turns out buried in the paperwork is a clause saying even monthly members are liable for all charges 45 days afterwards. This included a $50 annual fee for the coming year (really? This sucks!) as well as two months in advance. They took one month off this (their "mistake" for double counting). The gym experience? I found it to be a bit sweaty & smelly, with lots of broken machinery.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I wanted to explain a situation my husband and I experienced at the NYS club in East Meadow. My husband went into the club in November 2017 to cancel his membership. He was never given a form to fill out which is usually standard when canceling a membership. He asked about it and was told by the manager Kate that it was unnecessary and that she had taken care of it. I myself went into the club in December 2017 to cancel. My husband looked at his credit card statement and noticed that he was still being charged. We contacted Kate today and she completely denies meeting with my husband and basically implied that he was lying. Both my husband and I spoke to Kate today and she was beyond rude with an obnoxious attitude.

When my husband explained to her that he was extremely upset and that he was going to take it up with corporate she said to him, "I don't give a **". I can't believe that someone this rude would be the face of your gym. I would like for the club to give us a refund for the months they have charged my husbands card. This is ridiculous that customers get treated this way and cursed at. It was uncalled for and unprofessional on her part. I would like something done. I called the club and asked to make an appointment with the Business Director and of course Kate said that he is very busy and she would pass my information to him. I am pretty sure she isn't going to. I am making it a point to write as many emails and make as many phone calls to corporate until someone higher up gets back to me. People should not be treated this way.

New York Sports Club Company Information