Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.43/5

New York Sports Club Reviews

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

This is the most unprofessional gym I have ever experienced. The facilities and staff are 3rd rate. They wouldn't stop charging me after my membership was over. I tried to anticipate and stop the charges, but they would change their name every time. NYSC INC, NYSC, NYSC LLC, etc, etc, etc. Finally, I had to cancel my credit card of 10 years to stop the relentless onslaught of charges. My wife has a NYSC membership at a gym in NYC. Completely different!! If you are looking to join a gym in Bay Ridge, there are many other professional alternatives. Please do yourself a favor! Further, I gave them a one star review because they wouldn't allow negative stars.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

About 5 weeks ago, I went to the NYSC in White Plains to inquire about memberships. Kevin, who seems to be the main person to talk to new/potential members, offered a reduced monthly membership for the White Plains club which was just perfect for me and also "no annual dues" for the first year (69.99), as I was a returning member. Guess what, the annual fee was charged to my credit card. Called NYSC WP and spoke to Tara, who seemed very familiar with the issue that NYSC charges "returning members" even though they should not. She said that she cannot reverse the charge (even though they should have never charged and it is clearly intentional on their part). The only offer is for them to apply this to my account as credit, which would then be applied to the monthly dues going forward. I do not have a good feeling about this as I just don't trust them, hence posting it here to see if the honor what they say.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I signed up for month to month to give the gym a try. The young man who signed me up said that after the first month the gym would cost $49 per month. Before my first month was up, I cancelled my membership because the gym at the Huntington location was lousy. However, the gym continued to charge me after I cancelled. They stole $150 from me, and refused to return my money. They mentioned a contract that states they will charge you for 45 days following the cancellation. They showed me the contract, which I never signed because my signature wasn't on it. Also even if it applies they charged me $80 more than what the 45 days would have cost. When I complained to the manager, he laughed in my face. There are plenty of better gyms out there, no one needs to be taken advantage like I was.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

It used to be a decent place to go for a daily workout. Nice personnel, modern and clean equipment, good and personal trainers. Used to be, but not anymore.

About a year ago everything changed. The local manager a young lady who is only 2 or 3 hours in the office and never available. The personnel is very very rude. Nobody wants to work. Half of the exercise equipment is either out of order or make such a loud noise that makes me uncomfortable. Facilities such as steam room and sauna are very filthy and stinky. Actually the whole gym does not have a cleaning personnel. So men's locker room wasn't cleaned for months literally. Nobody cares. Any stop-by gyms have a much lower membership fees but also much cleaner and nicer. I have been going to this gym for 8 years, but finally I gave up. So if you are looking for a new gym, by all means stay away from Princeton NYSC. Not worth it.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

My partner and I signed up at the Cobble Hill Brooklyn location in person, in late Sept 2019. We signed up for the $24.99 monthly no-contract membership for me, and a $19.99 _add-on_ membership for my partner. The sales associate, Darnell ** repeatedly told us that we would only be paying those monthly fees, and that there was an annual fee of $69.99, but we would only start paying it a year later (in Oct 2020). This was a big reason why we signed up because we were in temp housing in the area and didn't know whether we could remain members for long. However an annual fee charge of $69.99 showed up on my card earlier this week.

I went back to the gym and asked Darnell what was up with that. He told me only my fee was waived not that of my partner. This is even though we signed up in-person, at the same time, AND hers was an add-on membership to mine. At no point did Darnell tell that his claims about the waived annual fee only applied to my primary membership and not to the add-on. I in-fact even asked him about it again before I gave him my credit card while signing up and he had again clarified that the annual fee would not apply until the following year.

Secondly, when we signed up, Darnell told us about the 45-day cancellation policy. We told him that we were in temp housing in the area and there was a chance we may move to another neighborhood in about 5 weeks. I offered to serve immediate notice to cancel on case we moved out. Darnell assured us that this was not needed because "a manager can process a cancellation with immediate effect, as an exception, and since you've told me about the possibility you'll be fine". A few days later, when it turned out we were indeed moving out of the area and I went in to cancel, Darnell flat out denied ever having said any of the above. And then claimed that such an exception is only possible in the first 10 days after sign-up. The 10-day limitation was another thing he neglected to mention when we signed up.

So Darnell essentially lied repeatedly to our faces on both counts above, just to get us to sign up. As a result of which an incorrect annual fee amount was charged and we were asked to pay for the 45-day cancellation period, even though we were told it would be waived. The sales manager Darrell then stepped in and told me he canceled my membership effective Oct 31 and processed a credit for the month of November. He repeatedly assured me that I would not be charged for November.

When I sought to get this in writing in an email later, he changed his story and told me he had only put in a request for the credit but it was not approved yet. Thankfully I had recorded proof of Darrell telling me that he had already processed the credit and no further charges would apply. Deceitful, dishonest sales practices from multiple people on the sales team. I'm sure I'm not the first person they have done this to. I will be telling everyone I can find to stay far away from NYSC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Sports Club?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

NYSC is the Embarrassment for NY located on 63Rd street and Broadway whole world is coming to visit NY at that location and having a Gym where there is no scale in locker rooms, limited amount of machines. Only one ab wheel and other one is broken. Some machines need maintenance. Towels are overused. Other much cheaper gyms have better service then NYSC.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I joined the branch in East Meadow, Long Island in July 2019. I used the gym around 1-2 pm and they NEVER had the A.C. on. It was sweltering inside. None of the TV's that were hooked up to the treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, etc worked, and they never bothered to fix them. Watching TV while using the treadmill makes the time go by so much faster, but they were too cheap and lazy to fix it. And for some reason, all classes throughout the summer had been cancelled. This allowed them to falsely promote that they had classes when, in fact, they never had classes to begin with. Such a joke. Charging $35 a month for this is absolute theft. Anyone who has a membership to NYSC needs to stay on top of their credit card statements because they will try anything and everything to steal your money! I just cancelled and plan to go to LA Fitness instead.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I was a member for three years and needed to cancel upon moving out of Brooklyn. I have honestly never received such terrible customer service. My contract was only for one year and then after that, I continued. Therefore, I was within my right to cancel. Once I cancelled, they charged me for the next month and a half. This conveniently brought me into my 3rd-4th year of membership and the time that they would charge the annual $60 fee for the upcoming year. They charged me the $60 fee, for a year of gym services that they very well know I won't be using, as well as a month and a half of membership fees, again for a gym that I am NOT using. When I called to speak with someone I was told, "Yeah corporate kinda just does whatever they want." This is theft.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I joined the club on October 2018, everything was fine until June 2019 when the gym failed to have a convenient climatization. They were days when the temperature was at 90° and the AC wasn't working, I decided to cancel my membership for that reason. They charged me $10 cancellation fee on July, I got charged the monthly fee on August and another cancellation fee in the same month. I've been in touch with customer service both at the location and over the phone but they keep telling me, "We will fix the problem and let you know." I called Amex to block them from charging me, and I got a phone call from the gym on September 5th to let me know that my card is declined. They still want to charge me again, that's really stupid. That really shows the this gym only care about making money. Stay away, stay away, stay away please.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I called the gym to quit in November after an incident involving a towel and human feces, and they didn’t capture in their records that I quit until February - so they think I should have paid for 4 more months (~$207) until they cancelled me correctly. I called around 6-7 times and spoke to different people at the gym month over month to explain that I had quit and each time I was assured that they would note it and I would be all set and that they were making notes in my account. I've now gone to their Collections Agency and have since tried talking to both the corporation (Town Sports International) and the club themselves and I’ve now been told that they don’t take cancellations over the phone.

Essentially they’re saying there’s no way I could have cancelled over the phone, and that I would have been required to send certified mail to cancel which they said is all in my documentation. No documentation/contract was ever given to me once the gym switched me from my corporate membership to a individual one. I've hired an attorney and am still unable to make any progress with the club or corporate. Not sure what corporate does in this instance since every time I call them they say they aren't able to help me. DO NOT GO TO THIS GYM OR GIVE THEM ANY CREDIT CARD INFO.

New York Sports Club Company Information