1.04/5
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

New York Sports Club

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 23, 2018

338 New York Sports Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Worst Experience EVER... My experience is very bad. In the month of November 2017. I went to the NYSC of Garden City, took my best friend to check out this GYM. And they gave us a complimentary one day pass. But they asked us for the credit card anyway. When we finished, we didnt like the GYM. the equipment was everywhere, the bathroom wasn't clean, towels everywhere. Anyways we decided not to sign up and we informed Shakira ** (employee at the front desk) that we did NOT want to continue with the registration. She assured us that there was no contract and that we were good to go.

This credit card I gave them, I do not usually check the monthly statements and to my surprise 2 weeks ago (3 months later) I realized that I have been charged month by month for the 2 memberships. I called Jason ** who is suppose to be the manager of the store and explain the situation. He confirmed that there is NO membership in the system for either of us, but still getting charged month to month. He told me to wait to fix the situation. The amounts are adding up is getting close to $300 NOW. After 1 week and a half I just called him and he has NO answer about my reimbursement. Above all, they treat you with an attitude that makes you tired and that you desist from continuing to call to ask. I will continue to bother until they explain why they charging us without being members.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have been a member of NYSC for about 20 years. Overall, I have been pleased with the various New York City facilities. It is always clean, I love the classes, and staff is so friendly. I have told my friends about it, and I think it’s a great gym. Recently I have taken a new job at 551 Fifth Avenue and started working at the Grand Central station location. This gym is a fire hazard. Not only it’s extremely congested with members, there is so much equipment thrown around that it's creating a tripping hazard. Moreover, there is no air at the gym. It’s like doing hot sweaty yoga. I have mentioned it to the staff members a few times, however, nothing was done.

Lastly, there are no attendants to replace weights or to ensure that the weights are returned back to their appropriate places. So you can imagine my surprise when I found out that as of February 1, 2018 this gym will become an “Elite Gym” which will require me to upgrade my membership. I immediately called the corporate office but was advised that nothing can be done! Frankly, I am appalled: I thought that after 15 years of loyalty, my membership has been “grandfathered in”. This is by no means an Elite Gym: You cannot charge members an elite price and provide substandard services. This degradation of service is unfortunate because I greatly enjoy exercising at NYSC. I wrote to the branch manager but received no response.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

A HORRIBLE UNPLEASANT experience. They only care about getting as much money out of me as possible. I was on a month to month contract, went in to cancel, the guy at the desk said "fine all done" and three months later the DEBT COLLECTORS start to call threatening to destroy my credit rating (!!??). It turns out buried in the paperwork is a clause saying even monthly members are liable for all charges 45 days afterwards. This included a $50 annual fee for the coming year (really? This sucks!) as well as two months in advance. They took one month off this (their "mistake" for double counting). The gym experience? I found it to be a bit sweaty & smelly, with lots of broken machinery.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I wanted to explain a situation my husband and I experienced at the NYS club in East Meadow. My husband went into the club in November 2017 to cancel his membership. He was never given a form to fill out which is usually standard when canceling a membership. He asked about it and was told by the manager Kate that it was unnecessary and that she had taken care of it. I myself went into the club in December 2017 to cancel. My husband looked at his credit card statement and noticed that he was still being charged. We contacted Kate today and she completely denies meeting with my husband and basically implied that he was lying. Both my husband and I spoke to Kate today and she was beyond rude with an obnoxious attitude.

When my husband explained to her that he was extremely upset and that he was going to take it up with corporate she said to him, "I don't give a **". I can't believe that someone this rude would be the face of your gym. I would like for the club to give us a refund for the months they have charged my husbands card. This is ridiculous that customers get treated this way and cursed at. It was uncalled for and unprofessional on her part. I would like something done. I called the club and asked to make an appointment with the Business Director and of course Kate said that he is very busy and she would pass my information to him. I am pretty sure she isn't going to. I am making it a point to write as many emails and make as many phone calls to corporate until someone higher up gets back to me. People should not be treated this way.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

73rd and Central Park West club - Front desk staff on their cell phones with poor service attitudes. They also turn up the music loud in the whole club with whatever they feel like listening to. 80th and Broadway - multilevel club and the manager(s) go home at 6 pm. They leave a personal trainer at the front desk who is the "manager," but I once saw a near altercation over exercise machines. Monday eve at 8 pm, and there wasn't even a manager on duty to help. I asked the front desk girl and she rolled her eyes and said there should be a manager but they leave because they are unsupervised by corporate. I've asked several times and this is a common occurrence. Also, locker rooms are STREWN with used towels on the floor and benches. Unsightly and unsanitary.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Sports Club?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS GYM! They charge you unnecessary fees at random times and do not have an explanation for them, and then they don't refund you for them! They also randomly increased the monthly dues by $10 without any notice or explanation. I went in to cancel my membership in the end of December and I asked the employee if I was going to be charged my yearly fee (which is on January 6th every year) and he clearly said NO. I was then charged my yearly fee, meaning I was lied to. I was also told by the gentleman that I was going to be charged another month's fees as part of the cancellation process, plus a $15 charge. I just found out that this isn't true either, and that it's going to be a $30 charge instead. So I went from thinking I was going to pay $45 to having to pay $100 just to cancel, even though I was told differently.

I then went in to speak with someone, and the girl there told me that she overheard the original conversation I had with the employee to cancel my account, and she remembers him telling me there will be no yearly fee and that it is only an additional $15 to cancel. She then says that she can't do anything about it even though she knows I was told the wrong information. Now for the actual gym: I hope you don't like using machines if you're interested in this gym, because they are always out of order and don't seem to get fixed for a while. The basketball is often closed for other events and clinics, so make sure you check that out. Some of the lockers are broken and don't close/open properly.

Since I signed up in 2015, this gym has done nothing to improve the experience. They have only taken things away. They don't supply towels anymore (something they did when I signed up), they don't allow a guest anymore (something they did when I signed up), they don't fix broken machines, they have just one squat rack for the entire gym, plus many more issues. This gym has done nothing but charge more and more money and take away every feature that caused me to sign up in the first place. PLEASE SIGN UP FOR A GYM ELSEWHERE!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I have had a membership with NYSC for a number of years and multiple times. Each time I cancelled my membership was due to rates going up over and over again without notice. The last time I signed up it was during a promotional season where it was stated that If I pay an annual fee that it would lock in my current rate or I can opt to not pay the annual fee and risk having my rate go up. So from prior experience I opted to pay the annual fee. Lo and behold 1 year later I get a notice that my rate will be going up. I contacted the manager and he said that there was nothing he could do since it came from Corporate. I emailed TSI and was given the runaround.

They told me to contact the General Manager but he never responded. Even though I was paying the annual fee that "locked in" my rate they decided to raise it anyway. It wasn't in the contract that they could do such a thing but it also doesn't say they can't so Corporate took that chance. The membership supervisor in good faith said that he was sorry that even though they were told one thing that essentially they had to lie to all the members who signed up for that exact reason. He gave me a free month of membership for that reason. Unfortunately due to such scams and frustration by Corporate that employee decided to leave and now that Club's business is getting worse.

Now I noticed that my rate jumped by 50% without any notice. I already contacted the Club and you guessed it, I'm getting the runaround. I'm bracing myself for the ensuing back and forth and the same experience everybody else has been getting about membership dues increase, balance due, cancellation issues, recurring fees despite the fact that the membership has been cancelled, and fees going to collections. Perhaps the only way to put a business with such unethical practice is by going to the Attorney General.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I signed up with New Rochelle NYSC a few years ago. Originally I had the promotional offer of either $20 or $29 per month. I decided to go for the higher membership only because that allowed me to bring a guest, my brother. A month after sign up they advised me that that membership would no longer include a free guest. Since that was the sole reason I signed up for the higher membership I cordially and calmly asked about downgrading. I was told no. This of course seemed like a bait and switch scam. Since then I’ve had my monthly membership go up without warning, I’ve had to call numerous times to inquire about charges that I was not advised of and most recently I was a $49.95 rate lock in fee. A few which I’ve never seen before and which I never received a single email, letter or text about.

NYSC is the king of mystery charges. The last time I had to resolve an issue the rep took weeks to get back to me and then another few weeks to institute what he had promised. When I called to inquire about it I was told that I should’ve received an notice about the charge beforehand. When I said I hadn’t received a letter I was told, “Oh we do email” to which I again stated I had not received a single email from NYSC. The rep also couldn’t explain at first what the charge even was, he didn’t know. I’m totally fed up with NYSC.

I was initially excited to join NYSC but I would advise everyone to avoid it at all costs. The number of complaints and the reputation they’re developing is a sure fire way to eventual disaster. Good customer service is everything and NYSC doesn’t do good customer service. Besides the various mysterious and unexplained charges their facilities are not impressive for all the hassle and most of the good classes require an extra fee. You’re basically just paying for a pool if you’re lucky. This is all sad to say because when I first signed up I was very excited but after countless bait and switch experiences, unannounced increased fees and just horrible customer service I’m done. I warn anyone thinking of joining to please don’t! Find another gym, Equinox, 24-Hour Fitness, Planet Fitness, your local mom and pop gym, anything but this.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

In NY, they have been turning some of their clubs into "elite" clubs. I have a monthly plan that allows me to visit all NYSC clubs. When I looked at my statement I saw a $20 charge. After calling the club, they explained the club on 23rd is an elite club and they would charge me $20 every time I visited that club. There was no notification of kind by email or the front desk staff that I would be charged. When I asked them what was "elite" about this club, they literally said they didn't know. They also mentioned that they would refund the fee because they have been receiving many calls for the same reason as mine.

Hearing this, from a customer point of view, it feels like NYSC is taking money from their customers without them knowing. NYSC shouldn't have to wait for people to call for the refunds if they are receiving this many complaints They should refund ALL their customers that have been charged this extra fee for visiting an "elite" club and then work on communication strategy to notify their customers of their policy changes more clearly before implementing their new changes. I've been with NYSC for 7 years and this seems like a very shady process.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Location and Date of Incident: NY Sports Club White Plains NY. 10601 10/18/2017. I slipped on a stair as I was exiting the pool staircase. I hit my head on the stairs in front of me. I had attended an aquatic class and then swam laps afterwards that day. I was spotted bobbing in the water by another swimmer. She began pulling me out of the pool, and then yelled for the lifeguards at the far end of the pool, who had been partially hidden in a room while texting on their cellphones. They are required to sit in an elevated chair, as to observe the entire pool from all angles at all times. There appeared to be two lifeguards on duty at that time period, though one was not in proper attire, which leads me to believe he was just "hanging out" with the other lifeguard. I noticed them talking, and on their cell phones in the side room as I did laps.

The stairs are missing some nonslip strips on several stairs and are dirty and unkempt. There is also mold growing on the banisters and under the front lip of the staircase. I pointed this out again that day. The club has been informed about this by numerous members in the past. I have been dizzy, nauseous, and very tired since the incident. I have vomited several times since the accident. The day after the incident I went to My Doctor for an exam/follow up. He performed numerous coordination tests, and had me twist my head and lie in various positions to try and realign parts of my inner ear that had likely shaken loose. He wanted to consult with a neurologist, as he was disturbed by my lack of coordination. He returned to say another Cat scan should be done.

I spoke with the woman who initially found me in the pool. She thoughtfully documented the events and timeline for me. Apparently I was floating face down when she spotted me, she began lifting me from the pool, then starting shouting for the lifeguard. He never saw me fall, or notice me bobbing under water. I possibly could have drowned if she had not seen me. She then took charge of the entire situation. There was no chain of command as far as management or procedures set in place in the event of an accident. They also did not ask this woman any questions as to what happened, when, and how. The lack of attention from the lifeguards seems like a more serious issue as far as negligence and safety of the pool. At least 70% or so of the lifeguards have been seen on their cell phones.

The woman mentioned above was at the gym this past weekend, and again observed a lifeguard on their cell phone texting, and not on the elevated lifeguard chairs, but sitting in the side room instead. The stairs were still in the same unkempt condition. This is the norm at this club. There appears to be a lack of supervision or follow up on the cause of the incident, and how to prevent another accident in the future. Numerous things stand out as dangerous. Several other members have commented and brought this to the attention of the staff and lifeguards. I called last year to voice my concern, but still they remain the same. The condition is apparent to anyone who monitors or performs the maintenance, logs, etc., that is required by law to operate a public pool in New York State. Proper procedures are not being followed at this club. I have photos and witnesses to attest to the above statements.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I opened a membership on a month to month, no obligation membership for 74.99 a month, I was charged $94.99 after all the taxes and I was not even going to the gym. I canceled my membership in August 7th. I was directed to a website called Cancelwizard.com that charged me $35 to cancel. Then I Called NYSC to make sure that it was canceled, and they tell me that there is a 45-day cancellation notices, so I was still getting charged $56 for October plus an additional $10 cancellation fee. This is nightmare. I will never again go to an NYSC ever again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I signed up for NYSC Avenue A membership in June 2016 during a special. My contract indicates $39.99 will come out the first of every month, and my contract also reflected a one-time membership fee. Fast forward to July 2017. I see a $59.99 charge through my bank from NYSC. I called indicating the error, the customer service rep said per my contract, I must pay an annual $59.99. I had him refer to my contract wherein he found no such language authorizing NYSC to debit $59.99 from my account. The money was put back in my account. Fast forward to August 2017. I decided I would move my membership over to Blink since they have better reviews, and you get more for money, and my friends go there. Per my contract, after the one year which ended in June 2017, the contract defaulted to month-to-month, and cancellation per the terms must be 30 days.

On 8/25, I called the membership line and they instructed me to go to the club. I went into the NYSC club on this day on 51st & Lex, the woman working indicated only the general manager could process cancellation, she scanned my tag, and said nothing further was needed. Based on the language of the contract, I decided to do a follow-up call. An hour or so later on 8/25, I called to confirm submission of my cancellation request. The customer service rep indicated there was no evidence of me going in a club, and then she said I must do this with a general manager. I was clearly frustrated, especially because I have a planned trip, and want my cancellation in before 30 days is up to avoid getting an Oct 1 $39.99 fee.

The woman also told me I could only go into my home club which is Avenue A to cancel. I told her there was no language on the contract regarding same, and the exact sentence on their website when you sign into your account, under cancellation it states "members may initiate the cancellation in person at any club location", she was still arguing with me that I was going about this incorrectly without any evidence on her part. I was then told to head to Avenue A and ask for the general manager, Joelle as she is working on Saturday 8/26. I went into the club, and Joelle was not there, and I was told I was the second person that came in asking for her. The girls at the counter were unable to assist me, because, again, only the general manager can handle cancellations.

Today, August 28, I called Avenue A to see if Joelle was in, and I was now told that I must make an appointment with her to cancel my request - this was never told to me, and further, she was not available to meet today (8/28). Given that I'm leaving out of town, and I do not come back until after Labor Day, this would give Avenue A another month of my fees, and they will be charging me $39.99. After calling my bank, and giving them the rundown, I was advised to file a claim. Now my bank is handling this.

I am extremely disturbed by this cancellation policy. With that being said, it appears said policy is geared around inconvenience as a tactic to continue taking membership fees, as well as breaching their own contract by debiting $59.99 annual fee from me, which on my contract says "Annual Fee: $ 0". Lastly, NYSC renewed my contract with them, without consent, no evidence, no signature, no recorded conversation indicating I agreed to same and construed my conversation of asking for my $59.99 back as a renewal. I have been documenting every call and visit with NYSC and am hopeful my bank will determine their tactics as a theft threat.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Yesterday: "It is against the law for us to put up a sign about trans people using the bathroom of choice because it would make people uncomfortable." -front desk at this branch. Partner promptly canceled membership. Experience: I go to the gym every day and am at this particular gym probably 2-3 days a week. I am very disappointed in NYSC and in particular this branch. Four months ago my partner and I approached the gym and requested that they put up a few signs stating NY law that bathrooms and locker rooms in NY are accessible to people who are trans.

Much feet dragging and months later my partner, who is a trans woman, has been harassed every time she has gone in and management has done nothing. This problem has been from staff and other members. They were able to put up signs about a whole host of other thing that were related just to this gym but about ongoing belittling of one of their members they couldn't be bothered. It is just such a shame when other gyms in NY like Equinox are going out of their way to be demonstrating that they are safe for the LGBT community and gyms that are affordable like this one are promoting anti-trans rhetoric from their own employees.

Original review: July 6, 2017

They charge me $60.49 on July 2, after my cancellation went through on June 22. Since I paid that amount of money (it is a lot as a student), I visited the Center yesterday. A receptionist kicked me out. Today, I tried to speak to the Manager, Victor, all day, but he is at the meeting all day. Sounds rather avoiding my calls. Also, I just spoke with the "district manager," but he treated me like an idiot. Overall, the customer service is the worst, and I do not get it at all what is my $60 for. The worst experience in my life. Try to avoid this freaking NYSC as best you can unless you. I believe Victor and "district manager" will get paid this sometimes somewhere. I don't think they won't get away with this!

Original review: July 2, 2017

I joined NYSC (the Section 8 of fitness centers) in Croton, NY because it is close to my home and seemed good enough for my purposes. I was a member for over a year. I don't need to be a member of those high-priced, lofty places full of pompous and pretentious people. That having been said, one must admit that, quite often, one gets what one pays for, and that is indeed the case with NYSC, especially the one in Croton.

Issues: 1.) Dirty and neglected by even the most relaxed standards. 2.) Broken machines go weeks without being repaired, sometimes months. 3.) The staff is young and immature. Sometimes they are well-intentioned, but completely dis-empowered from helping members because they are part of a system of neglect. 4.) The management could not be more disengaged if they were paid to ignore people. (I could list so many examples here). 5.) The regional management is as bad as local management. They do not respond to concerns or complaints at all. 6.) The prices are so cheap that they attract the rabble that scream from the top of their lungs across the gym floor, dropping "**-bombs" left and right and being generally foul. In short, it is NOT a nice place. If you absolutely HAVE to go to NYSC, don't pay more than $20 or $30 tops. Anything else would be a shame.

Original review: June 26, 2017

We joined NYSC and were promised two months free on both mine and my husbands account. To our surprise, the monthly payment of $40 each was taken out in the first month. We immediately contacted our membership consultant via email who assured us it will be reversed and his Manager will call us. No calls were received and no refund either. In 15 days another $20 each was taken out! We were confused again and contacted the membership consultant who had the same answer as before. Another 15 days later, $15 each was taken out of our card! We were now really frustrated and had already contacted the gym several times without any resolution. Again, no response just a reassurance that we will get money back.

I finally called the gym and persisted to speak to the Manager and was told that he didn't leave his business card at the front desk so I couldn't get his number!!! I thought that was unprofessional but I didn't give up and called again. Finally I was put through to the manager who seemed pretty aggressive to start with! I couldn't understand where that was coming from as I was the one who had paid and rightfully should be demanding my money, why would he be angry?! I requested him to look at my account again and I will do the same to ensure we have exact payment details! I then got an email from the manager and thankfully the payment deducted matched my account but I couldn't understand why the money was taken out every 15 days!

On further discussion I realized they had made a mistake and taken out the money from our accounts but adjusted that as a membership fee into or account, without notifying us. On top of that an additional $15 each ($30 in total) was what we were overcharged. The manager said to me that I was trying to trick him and confuse him but it's not going to work! This was really demeaning and rude as NYSC owed us money, not the other way around. We then asked to cancel our membership. Apparently there's a 45 days notification period.

I haven't send that anywhere on the internet and don't recall signing anything that says that. The fight continues as the days they calculated as 45 days is wrong and I'm scared they'll charge us again on 08/01, when technically our 45 days end on 07/31! I would recommend anyone who's trying to join, to stay away! You will be charged incorrectly and it's practically impossible to get your money back. You'll also be treated disrespectfully and ridiculed. So be prepared for the worst at NYSC.

Original review: June 23, 2017

Canceled a year ago but was disconnected on phone so I find out now they've been charging my credit card for membership for past year when I thought membership was canceled and I haven't been to club in years.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I have been going to this gym for a number of years now. However, over the past two to three years, the standards of this gym have been going down fast! Dirty locker rooms together with lockers off their hinges never repaired for months at a time. In addition, the Manager Michael ** is combative and rude. (Supposed to be that way I assume.) The equipment breaks down and is repaired about 6 months later. Do NOT join. Pay more and go to Equinox if possible!!

Original review: June 9, 2017

So let's start off with when I joined. I joined as a passport so I can go by work and go by my house. 1 month after I joined, they closed the club by my job WITHOUT notice! So I called to downgrade my membership, they told me I had to pay $70 because "It's not our fault if the other clubs are convenient for you or not, you can still go." And that's an exact quote from their HORRIFIC customer service! I have yet to speak to someone who is A) knowledgeable and B) actually cares about the customers. Every single person I have spoken to was horribly rude. It must be a requirement. SOOO like an idiot, I go in and pay and downgrade my membership. I decided to do a MONTH TO MONTH! WARNING!!! That does not mean you can cancel whenever OR easily by any means.

So then I move to Queens and could no longer go to the Staten Island location. So I went into the club in person. They told me that there is only ONE person who can cancel the memberships and that person was away for the week! So since I was moving there was no possible way I could get in to cancel again. I once again had to deal with the "lovely" member services on the phone! So it all starts with the first uneducated staff member who told me she would email the club and that my cancellation would be effective as of the date I went into the club. 3/21. So I got charged for April. Fine. But THEN I was charged in May! I called up member services and they said my account was still active, I explained what happened on 3/21 and now this woman assured me it would be cancelled and told me of no other charge.

Well now we're in June and these thieves now charge me 16.99 because apparent it's some sort of cancellation fee on a non contract month to month membership! So I call again! And they told me it was cancelled as of May and the reason why it wasn't cancelled in March was because the OH SO competent manager SUPPOSEDLY called me ONCE and since I never answered the ONE phone call that she definitely DIDN'T place, my membership was just left. Because this woman must be so busy putting weight back on a rack! But the funny thing is, they keep telling me that this is my fault because I never called the club back, EVEN THOUGH I NEVER GOT A CALL AND WAS ASSURED MY MEMBERSHIP WAS CANCELLED AS OF 3/21!!!

All of the sudden in May it got cancelled, without me ever speaking to the club once! I called the new manager who said he did it himself. SO WHY COULD HE DO IT BUT NOT THE LAST ONE?! AND IF SHE DID "CALL" ME, why was it only once?! CLEARLY she didn't do her job and now this is MY FAULT?! They still justify taking my money due to the neglect of their horribly incompetent staff?! I'm still fighting to get my money back because this is insane. These are THE WORST PEOPLE working for THE WORST COMPANY!

Original review: May 29, 2017

I have been a member of NYSC for close to 15 years. I resigned up after Superstorm Sandy at $19.95. This rate was to be for every month. On Feb 2017 I noticed that it was increased to $21.95. My contract that I sign states that my membership is locked in because I pay an annual fee $59.99. I spoke to the Long Beach NY club and they said they can change the membership whenever they want. I then spoke to Corporate which took 4 calls to get someone to respond. They gave me the runaround.

The only way I got satisfaction was to file a complaint with the NY Attorney General's office. It didn't take more that 3 weeks after filing this out I got a call back from the VP of NYSC. He said they have the right to increase every year. But, he said that he would put it back to the $19.95. I also got him to refund me the back increases. This practice with NYSC is done all the time. Friends I work out with have been increased $2 $5 or $10. When you complain they beat you up on the phone with verbal BS hoping you will back down. It is not the money that is the issue it's the principle that offends me.

Original review: May 15, 2017

NYSC Garnerville, NY. These people will sell you anything and everything without telling you what's going to happen when you cancel the membership. I entered a month to month contract and they never said to me that if a cancel after 2 years I was going to get a cancellation fee. Not only did I went personally to the gym to cancelled my membership and I asked the manager if I was going to get any more charges and they told no. I called and now the managers claims that he told everything which is a lie. I will never go back to that gym ever again. They need to better train their salespeople and managers.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I have been a long-standing member of NYSC for 20+ years holding a passport membership and used to look forward to going to the gym. I have noticed in the last few years, the customer service at various locations going downhill to non-existent. They closed the 86th Street location in NYC w/o any written notice - and when I returned from vacation and arrived, I found their doors closed forever. Luckily I have a passport membership and was able to use their 91st Street location. Needless to say this location is over-packed since most 86th Street members are now using this one.

Anyhow, the gym is dirty, they don't clean or clean well, dust balls everywhere and bugs! The front desk personnel are super rude and just miserable - and I have never seen a Manager or Sales Reps there, so I always call Town Sports International directly. The Reps on site can't help with any membership concerns - at least that was my experience. I just cancelled my 20+ year membership - and have it in writing, but for peace of mind after reading the complaints on here with billing after cancellation - I decided to place a stop pay on my checking account from this vendor. My experience with Town Sports was pleasant and she was apologetic on the Club's behalf - but didn't try to keep me as a member.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Terrible liars! Need to join for few months and I did explain that. They said it is month to month basis. Was overseas and was not able to cancel it so just changed my credit card. These people want you to come IN PERSON! Which is insane! So you cannot cancel it by phone. Not a problem, card was canceled BUT they still charging me and keep trying to send it to collection. Bunch of scammers. They have no business. And I hope BBB will go after these scammers.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I have never signed up for gym before and decided to sign up at NYSC. They said I can do "complimentary" personal training session, which I agreed. After the session, the trainer told me verbally that I can do more sessions at 68 dollars and that asked if I want to try and gave me this pad to sign. I thought the dollar was low enough that I can try. Later, I learned that they charged me $680 dollars, not $68 and claimed I signed this contract for $680 for three months where I only had two sessions with the trainer. They showed me this printed version of document where I signed, but in fact, I was never seen those contracts and all I was told is verbally. When they make you sign anything, there is no actual paper form or even electronic form that you can see contract terms. I guess I was naive to trust the trainer's words and suffered for it.

These kinds of practices must be stopped and I even wonder such practices actually constitute a contract where the signee was only given a tiny pad (the kind of pad you see when you check out at groceries). When I disputed the charge with my bank, NYSC presented a nicely formatted paper contract, which I never signed, but I supposed they pieced together from my pad signature. Are they allowed to do that? Is that a right business protocol? I claim that the trainer told me in person that the fees are these and I can cancel this anytime, but they claim that I signed up for $680 per month for three months, which is the first time I am hearing.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I wished I had checked Consumer Affairs before joining. I made it clear during a phone conversation with a member services person in February that I wanted to join NYSC explicitly for two months starting in February of this year through the end of March. When I called about an April 1st charge to my account I then learned about the 45 day cancellation notice policy. I just spoke with a couple of representatives at the desk at a Manhattan location and one claims he talked to me (???) and told me about the cancellation policy. I am beyond upset. I DO NOT recall anyone telling me when I signed up to join for TWO months that I had to make my cancellation explicit. And obviously how would I remember who I spoke with??? He said he should have sent me an email and that perhaps the manager can help me get my refund back. Very upset and will file a complaint with the Attorney General.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Where to begin with your Marlboro branch... The gym is dirty, the equipment is old, the staff is rude, condescending and hung up on me multiple times while trying to get information on how to cancel my membership. My monthly gym fee was changed without any verbal or written notice from $19.99+tx to 29.99+tx. I was also charged an annual fee of $50 for upgrades that I have never seen occur during my entire time as a member. The manager at this location Joann ** was by far the nastiest person I spoke to and she hung up in three times without even trying to hear any of my concerns.

Also, at the time of signing I was never informed of a cancellation fee. All these charges without any verbal or written notice, consent or authorization from the customer. Altogether I was made to pay $75+ in charges to cancel my membership, with no means of disputing the additional charges. Otherwise, NYSC sends unpaid accounts to collections which would then wreak havoc on the customer's credit score, what a nefarious practice. Beware of NYSC's price gouging billing practices!

Original review: March 17, 2017

My wife stopped by the gym to see inside. She was told to show them her credit card to make sure she was "serious", but no credit card charges would be filed. She had not signed anything and walked out without entering into any contract and never stopped by the place again. This did not stop NYSC Marlboro to charge her credit card almost $100 in the space of 2 weeks! When I called, I was put on hold for 15 minutes, and then spoke to a very rude "manager" called Angelo who said that my wife had signed a contract, and they could charge the card so long as she was a "member". This is a complete and utter scam this company is running. I've disputed the charges and cancelled the credit card. Buyer beware!

Original review: March 15, 2017

These guys are thieves. Avoid them at all costs and don't get suckered in by their low advertised monthly fees. Like all the other reports here, they increased my monthly fee without my knowledge or approval. When you contact them about it, they are rude and have a "too bad" attitude. They sent me absolutely no notification about the increase. When I asked them to cancel the account, they refused to do it over the phone (their excuse was they wanted to confirm it was actually "me" who wanted to cancel).

When I went into the office, the manager wasn't in even though I was told on the phone he was going to be. When I finally got a hold of the manager, he canceled the account while acting like he was doing me a favor. He then told me that there is a "30-day notification period" on my account meaning they were going to steal another month's fees before actually canceling. I made a fuss about it but they gave me the same "too bad" attitude. I called my credit card company to tell them any future charges from them are NOT authorized. I am sure however they will try to charge me anyway and when the credit card doesn't go through, they will probably try to send me to collections. What a bunch of crooks... Anyone who's reading this and with the time, please file a class action against these blood sucking parasites.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I was promised 24.99 fee as long as I was a member. Recently they have increased my membership to 34.99 without notifying me. This is insane because most of my friends' membership increased as well. They are promoting one thing and offering another. Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is that the new member that are signing up right now are paying 29.99 and the old members are getting punished for being a long time member with NYSC. Someone should def look into law suit. I am def going to look into it. This is very frustrating because this should've never happened. Also, I am calling corporate and they are telling me to reach out to your gym and my gym is telling me to reach out to corporate.

Original review: March 2, 2017

Like many others, I was surprised to see NYSC changed my monthly rates from $29.99 to $39.99 with no prior notification. After numerous attempts at contacting someone in membership over a 3 week period, I was informed that corporate changed the rates for some members, but not all. The local gym claimed they had no knowledge of this action. When I logged into the NYSC website to view my profile, it still had the $29.99 rate listed.

Out of disgust, I threatened to leave and was promised my rate would be returned to the promised rate. It was corrected for a month, now they seem to have increased it again (once again with no notification). I am not aware of any other business that would deem it appropriate to arbitrarily select customers for rate increases on a recurring monthly bill and do so with no prior notification. The local club claimed they had received several such complaints. Note, I double checked my contact info and scoured my inboxes and I am 100% certain that no notification was issued, despite what corporate may claim.

New York Sports Club Company Information

www.mysportsclubs.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use