3.61/5

399 New York Sports Club Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I have been a member on and off for about 15 years and the membership fees are ALWAYS messed up and become a story. They are raising rates on members without their consent and charging the credit cards. I have been trying to resolve the latest issue with the over billing for several months and due to constant management change nothing is consistent. Every person you speak to, if you can actually get a human on the phone or in person they don't know whats going on and you have to start all over again with the explanation.

Then they say that they will contact their boss and maybe get back to me. So I also would like to just get out of the club all together but you must give 30 days and they will not bend that, so they will just keep charging me until I can get out . I would not recommend this gym which is very sad because it close to my house but they have been doing this same thing for years. They have suckered me for the last time. I just files a claim with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: July 22, 2019

A nightmare!!! After my husband died, I went into the club to cancel membership! December 23, 2018. NYSC took from my bank account in January, $38. In February they took from my bank account $38 TWICE!!! In March they took from my bank account another $38!!! This was the $20 membership they promised me!!! I have been writing to them, email, phone, and appearing in person. Everyone agreed to help, but no one did. I got "check's in the mail" twice!! I also was told the cancellation was 30 days, and that I would be prorated 7 days in January, for the two charges in February, the charge in MArch, and the only one they would keep was the $5 cancellation fee they charged me in April.

For 8 months, promises unkept!! No money back, and since my husband's death, I need my money that they took from me. I made it as far as the manager at corporate who promised the check was mailed. The check arrived today. It is for $37!!!! When I emailed Devin to tell him this was incorrect, he says it is correct as per my contract!! False!!! My contract was 30 days cancellation!!! Now I have to go to small claims court to get my money. This is ridiculous!!! Do not join!!! They are thieves!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2019

My membership fee has been change a few times with NYSC without any email or communication or my consent. I've been with NYSC for a number of years and never have they sent me an email or called me to discuss any rate changes but they keep raising the membership fee. When I try and call customer service corporate, no one picks up. When I call any given location, there is never a manager around to do anything and promises of returning calls are never followed through.

Original review: June 21, 2019

They were charging me daily usage fees for months without my knowledge. When I tried to resolve the issue with a manager, I was shuffled around and avoided, incessantly told I would be called back. Eventually they sent the bill into collections.

Original review: June 5, 2019

A month ago, NYSC Sunnyside gym increased my monthly membership fee without any notification or heads up. When I called the manager at the gym he just can't do much - he said he could put in a request to bring back my fee to original amount (per my agreement), but it's up to the billing department. He has no control over that team. Of course, the fee didn't go down this month. I called back the manager again and guess what he said - there's nothing he can do about it. I've been a member of this gym for a long time (since 2013) but lately everything has been going down - equipment, cleanliness and fees issue.

This is the 2nd time the fee went without any heads up! You have to fight so hard with these people to get the fee signed up per the agreement you signed. First time, I stuck around given its proximity to my apartment. This time, I'm out!!! I just want to give heads up to other people about it. The manager sounded like the billing team lives on a different planet – isn’t this 21st Century? Even if the billing team is in different universe, I’m sure they can be reached by so-called phone or email or even may be good ‘ol snail mail. Jeez!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Sports Club?

Original review: June 3, 2019

I came in and cancelled my membership on May 6th and they were very pleasant. However, on June 1st, I was charged the monthly fee. I spoke to the manager and he said I was charged because the cancellation fee of $39.95 was denied by my bank. I contacted the credit card company and they said no such charge was attempted. I paid the cancellation fee with my card this afternoon, and it has yet to show up on my statement. That would be step 1 before trying to recoup the June fee. Stayed tuned.

Original review: May 30, 2019

It is a horrible gym and I feel very uncomfortable with them. First, I was informed my membership will be cancelled by March 2019 as I have asked. They said It’s fine and I thought my relationship with them is over. Suddenly they call me and threaten me over the phone that I owe them money and keep charging me.. They were horrible. I tried to come to their location to explain my issue but it didn’t work out at all. They kept charging me. Lucky me I cancelled the card and they said they will send it to collections. I told them that I cancelled and they kept charging me and threatening me over the phone. I was transferred between representative to representative and nobody helped me even though my membership has no obligation or no contract. They are a bunch of Scammers! I would not recommend anyone to do business with them. Stay Away!!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I was a member of this club for a few months with the agreement to cancel any time. I was leaving the state and called to cancel (June). They quietly continued billing me for a few months (I thought it was a probably a policy to bill for 60 or more days before cancellation and took no action). I closed my bank in Fall, and they started calling me in December threatening with collection. Beware, do not buy any memberships from them!!!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Very limited equipment which makes no sense because it is an elite club. I thought it was one of the worst locations I’ve worked out in. Also, because it is an elite club, they charge members who don’t have an elite membership and extra $20 for use. However, they don’t actually tell members that they are charging them. When I complained about this, I was told there is a sign. Didn’t see it- honest mistake. What kind of organization doesn’t tell their customers about a surcharge beforehand.

In general, all the gyms are pretty bad, some locations better than others. You can reach anyone at corporate and if you find a manager, they generally can’t resolve the problem and will tell you to call corporate. If I lives near an Equinox, I would join in a heartbeat. Worst customer service of any gym I’ve ever belonged to.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I agree, the New York Sports Club is a very bad customer service experience gym. It will be the bankrupted soon like the Bally's Fitness Center. Similar to how Uber and Lyft destroyed the local taxi companies, Retro Fitness and Orangetheory is offering the deals of the century. New gym equipment at great low prices is now the dominating factor to steal all Sports Club members. For example, for the price of about $21.00 at the Retro Fitness includes basic admission to all of its 150 centers. At the moment, the Passport membership fee is about $50.00 to gain entry of all their fitness centers.

ATTENTION: MR. **, THE NEW GENERAL MANAGER AT THE CLIFTON, NJ SPORTS CLUB IS THE WORST MANAGER I EVER EXPERIENCED IN MY LIFE. He was the sole reason why we canceled our memberships. Mr. ** has no people skills. His management skills is like a gangbuster style. Game over, we quit. Especially, when there are overcharges in your accounts, repeated request for reimbursements are ignored for as long as six months even when previously managers documented that refunds are authorized. Only when you submit your cancellation letter, will the Sports Club negotiate a refund and a deal to you. Even when the deal is offered, the prices are still higher than Retro Fitness or other fitness centers.

There is a deficit at the sports club, refunds cannot be made easily. THE GYM EQUIPMENT IS OLD AND SMELLY. THE PLACE IS FALLING APART. We joined back in 2014 as a fitness center convenient to work and home, but things changed, new and better competitive fitness centers are now available. When we work out at the gym, we want friendly service and place where we feel comfortable. Avoid this place, it is going to hell. SINCERELY, PETER **. MASTER OF SCIENCE.

New York Sports Club Company Information