1.12/5
Based on 290 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

350 New York Sports Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

The gym has not had air conditioning in the studios for over a month now and I can no longer go due to health issues - I'm asthmatic and it has now become a very tough to breathe for me. What are they waiting for? This is a board of health issue and will be the next place I reach out to - someone has to be liable for this! I've been trying to reach someone and only facilities has answered me without things getting done? PLEASE - we need air conditioning in the gym! One month is way too long - 84 degrees in the studio is unexceptionable and unhealthy! We pay good money for what?

Original review: June 11, 2018

Crooks, dishonest. The worst experience I've ever had with a club. Cancelled 1 month before expiration and in person, manager supposedly cancelled but forgot to tell me that the 59.99 annual fee was due that exact same day. Company will not do anything to refund charge. What a nightmare was joining there. Please find another gym! They are not worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2018

This gym caters to intense workouts and weightlifters. They have a selection of group classes (but not a great variety). There is a pool but no group pool classes. There are plenty of ellipticals, treadmills and bikes.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Beware: NYSC Hoboken is a fraud & scam center. I joined for $34.99 monthly membership, they did not give me any agreement letter or receipt & kept on charging $127 on my credit card for 4 months. They never sent me any bill through e-mail or post. When I inquired at their reception, their employee had no idea for what they overcharged me. After repeated inquiry gave me visiting card of their manager Andrew **, who never responded to my mails & came on phone after multiple attempts. He declined to refund any money & asked to approach my bank. On disputing transaction, bank asked them receipt & they sent bank receipt of $127, so bank did not refund overcharged amount. They looted around $500 from me. Joining this gym is most painful & torturous experience of my life. Never join this gym, they will rip-off you money not abs.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I came in to the club in early November to make due for my past account balance (I was one month behind) and to cancel my membership. They told me there was a 45 day period before my account would be considered closed, so I would also be charged for December on the usual date. I gave them a new card which they successfully charged for the past due amount, a few days later the amount for November posted and later December was paid as agreed.

Then they kept charging me month after month afterwards. Once I became aware of this I called the gym multiple times, each time they assured me a manager would return my call and they didn't do that. I also emailed (the person who had sent out an email to me regarding my past due amount back in October) multiple times and he never responded. There were a few other email addresses associated with NYSC I had and tried them also to no avail.

I filed a dispute through my bank for all charges made after December, as well as put a block payment and later was issued a new card. They still are trying to charge me for more months in the future, fight the dispute, and threaten collection on my 'debt'. I don't know what to do. I cancelled my membership but these guys just won't stop charging me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Sports Club?

Original review: May 4, 2018

I've been a member for years. When I first joined it was about $50 a month - a promotion they were offering because I had a membership prior to that and canceled (it was $90/mo and I couldn't keep paying that). So because I canceled months later they offered me this deal. I agreed. I love their gyms although I'm pissed they closed the steam rooms. I love using the steam and sauna rooms but steam room is faster when you're in a rush. I also love taking the classes when I'm bored of working out on machines. Anyway long story short last year they sent me a letter that they were raising my monthly fee $10 more. They didn't ask if I wanted to keep my membership at all.

I didn't like that but I agreed to stay with them. Well this month I checked my bank statement and they raised it $10 more! I didn't get a letter this time or email. I wasn't informed or asked if I wanted to keep it. So it is now $69.99 and that is over my limit! I am canceling once this month is over! They are so sneaky, I'm pissed off. I haven't even gone to the gym in 6 mos and have still been paying. I called their number and spoke to the lady and she told me they raised the fee. So I asked "So are they just going to raise it $10 every year?!" She said "looks like it, yeah..." Wow... Going to join Blink Fitness I think.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I've been a member of NYSC in Livingston for a few years. When I joined, there was a promo to pay $149 upfront which locked in a lifetime monthly fee of just $20. After 2 years, however, they raised my fee to $30! When I complained, no one returned my call. I just got a credit card bill showing a $40 monthly fee! Not only is this in violation to my sign-on promo, but I wasn't even notified of an upcharge! I've heard of other members getting scammed too. Additionally, the facility has gone downhill, with much of the equipment in need of repair and maintenance.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I signed up over a month ago as their monthly rate was really low compared to the other gyms in NYC. However, I was disappointed with the quality of service. Most of the equipment are broken and the locker rooms are pathetic. I cannot even think of walking barefeet in there. However, the event that angered me is that they pinned a late fee on me. My credit card on file got lost and had to get a replacement. Instead of the management giving me a call to suggest that my monthly payment didn't go through (common practice in most businesses), they slapped me with a late fee.

I tried calling my home gym for 3 days straight, no one seems to like answering their phones there. I then went into the gym, where the manager mentioned that they have 1000s of members and it is not possible to contact every one of them. I was like that doesn't make sense because all of their members do not undergo a similar situation that I went through. After a lot of back and forth, he agreed to waive off the late fee. However, I checked my credit statement and the late fee is on there. I am thinking of taking legal action and cancelling my membership.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Long story short, an employee attempted to sign up a colleague as an add-on to my account. The employee was not clear about the terms and fees and then after I cancelled the application he became aggressive and cursed not once but twice (using the F-word). Puffing up and pounding his chest with his palms like a child in high-school and then running out of the gym screaming like an animal after I left and was already down the block.

After complaining to on-site management over the phone she directed me to (Paul **) who after a few calls has done nothing to resolve this and moreover accused me of instigating. When I asked to speak to someone from their corporate office HR since they continue to refuse to have a discussion over email and on the record, I was directed to speak with the Market Director (Ryan **). Ryan keeps insisting that we should discuss this over the phone and has not provided me with the contact information to discuss with someone else. According to Paul I should be getting a refund shortly - I am waiting for this, but he was unable to provide a reason as to why I was charged even though I never completed the application process. A terrible employee like this only exists and continues to work there because management fails to do their jobs to protect its club members. We are clearly only monthly membership fees to them.

Original review: March 19, 2018

This is run by the worst management I have ever experienced in my life. I came into the club at beginning of December to cancel my membership. I did it at this time because I knew the annual fee was approaching and they had raised my membership once again. I called in November and was told I had to come in and cancel which I did I believe Dec 1-2. I filled out all of the paperwork and gave in my tag. Come the middle of December I get charged the annual fee which I was told I would not get charged, and also January 2nd another month charged. I called the club and the manager at the time. Was very nice and apologized and said the person I cancelled with was no longer there and this was not the first she had heard that cancellations didn't go through. She assured me she would cancel the membership and talk to corporate about refunding my money.

With this I was not confident and also gave a heads up to my bank to not let NYSC charge my debit account anymore. Come to see that FEB & March they tried to charge me again! The new manager has sent me emails and has called me every week for the last 3 months letting me know not to worry that he can confirm it is cancelled and then today I was charged another $153. I called corporate who was also useless and told 'em I had to talk to the club. I called the club and what a shock the manager didn't answer and his mailbox is full. Really! I have fees with my bank now for no charge fees along with bills that bounced today due to this. I am beyond dissatisfied and prepared to share this experience with everyone I know and all social media outlets.

Original review: March 16, 2018

This location was closed last July. Was supposed to open in October. Never did. Then was supposed to open in February (never did), then was supposed to open in April and it will not be doing so... Spoke to the workmen on site since I live a block away, and they said that location will not be open until the end of August (at the earliest). Seems strange that I could find out this information but NYSC cannot. Anyway, to those of you waiting for this club to re-open, now you know...

Original review: March 6, 2018

I joined the gym in Whitestone, NY for 1 year. I originally paid for a annual fee and the membership. A year later they charged my card for another annual fee without my consent. For 60 dollars plus an extra "fixed rate" of 50 dollars. The manager at WHITESTONE CLUB told me that my money was going to get refunded, it never happened. They are a SCAM. They love to steal money and trick you. I was never advised of a cancellation fee either. I'm greatly disappointed. DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM, UNLESS YOU WANT MONEY STOLEN FROM YOU.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Worst Experience EVER... My experience is very bad. In the month of November 2017. I went to the NYSC of Garden City, took my best friend to check out this GYM. And they gave us a complimentary one day pass. But they asked us for the credit card anyway. When we finished, we didnt like the GYM. the equipment was everywhere, the bathroom wasn't clean, towels everywhere. Anyways we decided not to sign up and we informed Shakira ** (employee at the front desk) that we did NOT want to continue with the registration. She assured us that there was no contract and that we were good to go.

This credit card I gave them, I do not usually check the monthly statements and to my surprise 2 weeks ago (3 months later) I realized that I have been charged month by month for the 2 memberships. I called Jason ** who is suppose to be the manager of the store and explain the situation. He confirmed that there is NO membership in the system for either of us, but still getting charged month to month. He told me to wait to fix the situation. The amounts are adding up is getting close to $300 NOW. After 1 week and a half I just called him and he has NO answer about my reimbursement. Above all, they treat you with an attitude that makes you tired and that you desist from continuing to call to ask. I will continue to bother until they explain why they charging us without being members.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have been a member of NYSC for about 20 years. Overall, I have been pleased with the various New York City facilities. It is always clean, I love the classes, and staff is so friendly. I have told my friends about it, and I think it’s a great gym. Recently I have taken a new job at 551 Fifth Avenue and started working at the Grand Central station location. This gym is a fire hazard. Not only it’s extremely congested with members, there is so much equipment thrown around that it's creating a tripping hazard. Moreover, there is no air at the gym. It’s like doing hot sweaty yoga. I have mentioned it to the staff members a few times, however, nothing was done.

Lastly, there are no attendants to replace weights or to ensure that the weights are returned back to their appropriate places. So you can imagine my surprise when I found out that as of February 1, 2018 this gym will become an “Elite Gym” which will require me to upgrade my membership. I immediately called the corporate office but was advised that nothing can be done! Frankly, I am appalled: I thought that after 15 years of loyalty, my membership has been “grandfathered in”. This is by no means an Elite Gym: You cannot charge members an elite price and provide substandard services. This degradation of service is unfortunate because I greatly enjoy exercising at NYSC. I wrote to the branch manager but received no response.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

A HORRIBLE UNPLEASANT experience. They only care about getting as much money out of me as possible. I was on a month to month contract, went in to cancel, the guy at the desk said "fine all done" and three months later the DEBT COLLECTORS start to call threatening to destroy my credit rating (!!??). It turns out buried in the paperwork is a clause saying even monthly members are liable for all charges 45 days afterwards. This included a $50 annual fee for the coming year (really? This sucks!) as well as two months in advance. They took one month off this (their "mistake" for double counting). The gym experience? I found it to be a bit sweaty & smelly, with lots of broken machinery.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I wanted to explain a situation my husband and I experienced at the NYS club in East Meadow. My husband went into the club in November 2017 to cancel his membership. He was never given a form to fill out which is usually standard when canceling a membership. He asked about it and was told by the manager Kate that it was unnecessary and that she had taken care of it. I myself went into the club in December 2017 to cancel. My husband looked at his credit card statement and noticed that he was still being charged. We contacted Kate today and she completely denies meeting with my husband and basically implied that he was lying. Both my husband and I spoke to Kate today and she was beyond rude with an obnoxious attitude.

When my husband explained to her that he was extremely upset and that he was going to take it up with corporate she said to him, "I don't give a **". I can't believe that someone this rude would be the face of your gym. I would like for the club to give us a refund for the months they have charged my husbands card. This is ridiculous that customers get treated this way and cursed at. It was uncalled for and unprofessional on her part. I would like something done. I called the club and asked to make an appointment with the Business Director and of course Kate said that he is very busy and she would pass my information to him. I am pretty sure she isn't going to. I am making it a point to write as many emails and make as many phone calls to corporate until someone higher up gets back to me. People should not be treated this way.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

73rd and Central Park West club - Front desk staff on their cell phones with poor service attitudes. They also turn up the music loud in the whole club with whatever they feel like listening to. 80th and Broadway - multilevel club and the manager(s) go home at 6 pm. They leave a personal trainer at the front desk who is the "manager," but I once saw a near altercation over exercise machines. Monday eve at 8 pm, and there wasn't even a manager on duty to help. I asked the front desk girl and she rolled her eyes and said there should be a manager but they leave because they are unsupervised by corporate. I've asked several times and this is a common occurrence. Also, locker rooms are STREWN with used towels on the floor and benches. Unsightly and unsanitary.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS GYM! They charge you unnecessary fees at random times and do not have an explanation for them, and then they don't refund you for them! They also randomly increased the monthly dues by $10 without any notice or explanation. I went in to cancel my membership in the end of December and I asked the employee if I was going to be charged my yearly fee (which is on January 6th every year) and he clearly said NO. I was then charged my yearly fee, meaning I was lied to. I was also told by the gentleman that I was going to be charged another month's fees as part of the cancellation process, plus a $15 charge. I just found out that this isn't true either, and that it's going to be a $30 charge instead. So I went from thinking I was going to pay $45 to having to pay $100 just to cancel, even though I was told differently.

I then went in to speak with someone, and the girl there told me that she overheard the original conversation I had with the employee to cancel my account, and she remembers him telling me there will be no yearly fee and that it is only an additional $15 to cancel. She then says that she can't do anything about it even though she knows I was told the wrong information. Now for the actual gym: I hope you don't like using machines if you're interested in this gym, because they are always out of order and don't seem to get fixed for a while. The basketball is often closed for other events and clinics, so make sure you check that out. Some of the lockers are broken and don't close/open properly.

Since I signed up in 2015, this gym has done nothing to improve the experience. They have only taken things away. They don't supply towels anymore (something they did when I signed up), they don't allow a guest anymore (something they did when I signed up), they don't fix broken machines, they have just one squat rack for the entire gym, plus many more issues. This gym has done nothing but charge more and more money and take away every feature that caused me to sign up in the first place. PLEASE SIGN UP FOR A GYM ELSEWHERE!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I have had a membership with NYSC for a number of years and multiple times. Each time I cancelled my membership was due to rates going up over and over again without notice. The last time I signed up it was during a promotional season where it was stated that If I pay an annual fee that it would lock in my current rate or I can opt to not pay the annual fee and risk having my rate go up. So from prior experience I opted to pay the annual fee. Lo and behold 1 year later I get a notice that my rate will be going up. I contacted the manager and he said that there was nothing he could do since it came from Corporate. I emailed TSI and was given the runaround.

They told me to contact the General Manager but he never responded. Even though I was paying the annual fee that "locked in" my rate they decided to raise it anyway. It wasn't in the contract that they could do such a thing but it also doesn't say they can't so Corporate took that chance. The membership supervisor in good faith said that he was sorry that even though they were told one thing that essentially they had to lie to all the members who signed up for that exact reason. He gave me a free month of membership for that reason. Unfortunately due to such scams and frustration by Corporate that employee decided to leave and now that Club's business is getting worse.

Now I noticed that my rate jumped by 50% without any notice. I already contacted the Club and you guessed it, I'm getting the runaround. I'm bracing myself for the ensuing back and forth and the same experience everybody else has been getting about membership dues increase, balance due, cancellation issues, recurring fees despite the fact that the membership has been cancelled, and fees going to collections. Perhaps the only way to put a business with such unethical practice is by going to the Attorney General.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I signed up with New Rochelle NYSC a few years ago. Originally I had the promotional offer of either $20 or $29 per month. I decided to go for the higher membership only because that allowed me to bring a guest, my brother. A month after sign up they advised me that that membership would no longer include a free guest. Since that was the sole reason I signed up for the higher membership I cordially and calmly asked about downgrading. I was told no. This of course seemed like a bait and switch scam. Since then I’ve had my monthly membership go up without warning, I’ve had to call numerous times to inquire about charges that I was not advised of and most recently I was a $49.95 rate lock in fee. A few which I’ve never seen before and which I never received a single email, letter or text about.

NYSC is the king of mystery charges. The last time I had to resolve an issue the rep took weeks to get back to me and then another few weeks to institute what he had promised. When I called to inquire about it I was told that I should’ve received an notice about the charge beforehand. When I said I hadn’t received a letter I was told, “Oh we do email” to which I again stated I had not received a single email from NYSC. The rep also couldn’t explain at first what the charge even was, he didn’t know. I’m totally fed up with NYSC.

I was initially excited to join NYSC but I would advise everyone to avoid it at all costs. The number of complaints and the reputation they’re developing is a sure fire way to eventual disaster. Good customer service is everything and NYSC doesn’t do good customer service. Besides the various mysterious and unexplained charges their facilities are not impressive for all the hassle and most of the good classes require an extra fee. You’re basically just paying for a pool if you’re lucky. This is all sad to say because when I first signed up I was very excited but after countless bait and switch experiences, unannounced increased fees and just horrible customer service I’m done. I warn anyone thinking of joining to please don’t! Find another gym, Equinox, 24-Hour Fitness, Planet Fitness, your local mom and pop gym, anything but this.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

In NY, they have been turning some of their clubs into "elite" clubs. I have a monthly plan that allows me to visit all NYSC clubs. When I looked at my statement I saw a $20 charge. After calling the club, they explained the club on 23rd is an elite club and they would charge me $20 every time I visited that club. There was no notification of kind by email or the front desk staff that I would be charged. When I asked them what was "elite" about this club, they literally said they didn't know. They also mentioned that they would refund the fee because they have been receiving many calls for the same reason as mine.

Hearing this, from a customer point of view, it feels like NYSC is taking money from their customers without them knowing. NYSC shouldn't have to wait for people to call for the refunds if they are receiving this many complaints They should refund ALL their customers that have been charged this extra fee for visiting an "elite" club and then work on communication strategy to notify their customers of their policy changes more clearly before implementing their new changes. I've been with NYSC for 7 years and this seems like a very shady process.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Location and Date of Incident: NY Sports Club White Plains NY. 10601 10/18/2017. I slipped on a stair as I was exiting the pool staircase. I hit my head on the stairs in front of me. I had attended an aquatic class and then swam laps afterwards that day. I was spotted bobbing in the water by another swimmer. She began pulling me out of the pool, and then yelled for the lifeguards at the far end of the pool, who had been partially hidden in a room while texting on their cellphones. They are required to sit in an elevated chair, as to observe the entire pool from all angles at all times. There appeared to be two lifeguards on duty at that time period, though one was not in proper attire, which leads me to believe he was just "hanging out" with the other lifeguard. I noticed them talking, and on their cell phones in the side room as I did laps.

The stairs are missing some nonslip strips on several stairs and are dirty and unkempt. There is also mold growing on the banisters and under the front lip of the staircase. I pointed this out again that day. The club has been informed about this by numerous members in the past. I have been dizzy, nauseous, and very tired since the incident. I have vomited several times since the accident. The day after the incident I went to My Doctor for an exam/follow up. He performed numerous coordination tests, and had me twist my head and lie in various positions to try and realign parts of my inner ear that had likely shaken loose. He wanted to consult with a neurologist, as he was disturbed by my lack of coordination. He returned to say another Cat scan should be done.

I spoke with the woman who initially found me in the pool. She thoughtfully documented the events and timeline for me. Apparently I was floating face down when she spotted me, she began lifting me from the pool, then starting shouting for the lifeguard. He never saw me fall, or notice me bobbing under water. I possibly could have drowned if she had not seen me. She then took charge of the entire situation. There was no chain of command as far as management or procedures set in place in the event of an accident. They also did not ask this woman any questions as to what happened, when, and how. The lack of attention from the lifeguards seems like a more serious issue as far as negligence and safety of the pool. At least 70% or so of the lifeguards have been seen on their cell phones.

The woman mentioned above was at the gym this past weekend, and again observed a lifeguard on their cell phone texting, and not on the elevated lifeguard chairs, but sitting in the side room instead. The stairs were still in the same unkempt condition. This is the norm at this club. There appears to be a lack of supervision or follow up on the cause of the incident, and how to prevent another accident in the future. Numerous things stand out as dangerous. Several other members have commented and brought this to the attention of the staff and lifeguards. I called last year to voice my concern, but still they remain the same. The condition is apparent to anyone who monitors or performs the maintenance, logs, etc., that is required by law to operate a public pool in New York State. Proper procedures are not being followed at this club. I have photos and witnesses to attest to the above statements.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I opened a membership on a month to month, no obligation membership for 74.99 a month, I was charged $94.99 after all the taxes and I was not even going to the gym. I canceled my membership in August 7th. I was directed to a website called Cancelwizard.com that charged me $35 to cancel. Then I Called NYSC to make sure that it was canceled, and they tell me that there is a 45-day cancellation notices, so I was still getting charged $56 for October plus an additional $10 cancellation fee. This is nightmare. I will never again go to an NYSC ever again.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I signed up for NYSC Avenue A membership in June 2016 during a special. My contract indicates $39.99 will come out the first of every month, and my contract also reflected a one-time membership fee. Fast forward to July 2017. I see a $59.99 charge through my bank from NYSC. I called indicating the error, the customer service rep said per my contract, I must pay an annual $59.99. I had him refer to my contract wherein he found no such language authorizing NYSC to debit $59.99 from my account. The money was put back in my account. Fast forward to August 2017. I decided I would move my membership over to Blink since they have better reviews, and you get more for money, and my friends go there. Per my contract, after the one year which ended in June 2017, the contract defaulted to month-to-month, and cancellation per the terms must be 30 days.

On 8/25, I called the membership line and they instructed me to go to the club. I went into the NYSC club on this day on 51st & Lex, the woman working indicated only the general manager could process cancellation, she scanned my tag, and said nothing further was needed. Based on the language of the contract, I decided to do a follow-up call. An hour or so later on 8/25, I called to confirm submission of my cancellation request. The customer service rep indicated there was no evidence of me going in a club, and then she said I must do this with a general manager. I was clearly frustrated, especially because I have a planned trip, and want my cancellation in before 30 days is up to avoid getting an Oct 1 $39.99 fee.

The woman also told me I could only go into my home club which is Avenue A to cancel. I told her there was no language on the contract regarding same, and the exact sentence on their website when you sign into your account, under cancellation it states "members may initiate the cancellation in person at any club location", she was still arguing with me that I was going about this incorrectly without any evidence on her part. I was then told to head to Avenue A and ask for the general manager, Joelle as she is working on Saturday 8/26. I went into the club, and Joelle was not there, and I was told I was the second person that came in asking for her. The girls at the counter were unable to assist me, because, again, only the general manager can handle cancellations.

Today, August 28, I called Avenue A to see if Joelle was in, and I was now told that I must make an appointment with her to cancel my request - this was never told to me, and further, she was not available to meet today (8/28). Given that I'm leaving out of town, and I do not come back until after Labor Day, this would give Avenue A another month of my fees, and they will be charging me $39.99. After calling my bank, and giving them the rundown, I was advised to file a claim. Now my bank is handling this.

I am extremely disturbed by this cancellation policy. With that being said, it appears said policy is geared around inconvenience as a tactic to continue taking membership fees, as well as breaching their own contract by debiting $59.99 annual fee from me, which on my contract says "Annual Fee: $ 0". Lastly, NYSC renewed my contract with them, without consent, no evidence, no signature, no recorded conversation indicating I agreed to same and construed my conversation of asking for my $59.99 back as a renewal. I have been documenting every call and visit with NYSC and am hopeful my bank will determine their tactics as a theft threat.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Yesterday: "It is against the law for us to put up a sign about trans people using the bathroom of choice because it would make people uncomfortable." -front desk at this branch. Partner promptly canceled membership. Experience: I go to the gym every day and am at this particular gym probably 2-3 days a week. I am very disappointed in NYSC and in particular this branch. Four months ago my partner and I approached the gym and requested that they put up a few signs stating NY law that bathrooms and locker rooms in NY are accessible to people who are trans.

Much feet dragging and months later my partner, who is a trans woman, has been harassed every time she has gone in and management has done nothing. This problem has been from staff and other members. They were able to put up signs about a whole host of other thing that were related just to this gym but about ongoing belittling of one of their members they couldn't be bothered. It is just such a shame when other gyms in NY like Equinox are going out of their way to be demonstrating that they are safe for the LGBT community and gyms that are affordable like this one are promoting anti-trans rhetoric from their own employees.

Original review: July 6, 2017

They charge me $60.49 on July 2, after my cancellation went through on June 22. Since I paid that amount of money (it is a lot as a student), I visited the Center yesterday. A receptionist kicked me out. Today, I tried to speak to the Manager, Victor, all day, but he is at the meeting all day. Sounds rather avoiding my calls. Also, I just spoke with the "district manager," but he treated me like an idiot. Overall, the customer service is the worst, and I do not get it at all what is my $60 for. The worst experience in my life. Try to avoid this freaking NYSC as best you can unless you. I believe Victor and "district manager" will get paid this sometimes somewhere. I don't think they won't get away with this!

Original review: July 2, 2017

I joined NYSC (the Section 8 of fitness centers) in Croton, NY because it is close to my home and seemed good enough for my purposes. I was a member for over a year. I don't need to be a member of those high-priced, lofty places full of pompous and pretentious people. That having been said, one must admit that, quite often, one gets what one pays for, and that is indeed the case with NYSC, especially the one in Croton.

Issues: 1.) Dirty and neglected by even the most relaxed standards. 2.) Broken machines go weeks without being repaired, sometimes months. 3.) The staff is young and immature. Sometimes they are well-intentioned, but completely dis-empowered from helping members because they are part of a system of neglect. 4.) The management could not be more disengaged if they were paid to ignore people. (I could list so many examples here). 5.) The regional management is as bad as local management. They do not respond to concerns or complaints at all. 6.) The prices are so cheap that they attract the rabble that scream from the top of their lungs across the gym floor, dropping "**-bombs" left and right and being generally foul. In short, it is NOT a nice place. If you absolutely HAVE to go to NYSC, don't pay more than $20 or $30 tops. Anything else would be a shame.

Original review: June 26, 2017

We joined NYSC and were promised two months free on both mine and my husbands account. To our surprise, the monthly payment of $40 each was taken out in the first month. We immediately contacted our membership consultant via email who assured us it will be reversed and his Manager will call us. No calls were received and no refund either. In 15 days another $20 each was taken out! We were confused again and contacted the membership consultant who had the same answer as before. Another 15 days later, $15 each was taken out of our card! We were now really frustrated and had already contacted the gym several times without any resolution. Again, no response just a reassurance that we will get money back.

I finally called the gym and persisted to speak to the Manager and was told that he didn't leave his business card at the front desk so I couldn't get his number!!! I thought that was unprofessional but I didn't give up and called again. Finally I was put through to the manager who seemed pretty aggressive to start with! I couldn't understand where that was coming from as I was the one who had paid and rightfully should be demanding my money, why would he be angry?! I requested him to look at my account again and I will do the same to ensure we have exact payment details! I then got an email from the manager and thankfully the payment deducted matched my account but I couldn't understand why the money was taken out every 15 days!

On further discussion I realized they had made a mistake and taken out the money from our accounts but adjusted that as a membership fee into or account, without notifying us. On top of that an additional $15 each ($30 in total) was what we were overcharged. The manager said to me that I was trying to trick him and confuse him but it's not going to work! This was really demeaning and rude as NYSC owed us money, not the other way around. We then asked to cancel our membership. Apparently there's a 45 days notification period.

I haven't send that anywhere on the internet and don't recall signing anything that says that. The fight continues as the days they calculated as 45 days is wrong and I'm scared they'll charge us again on 08/01, when technically our 45 days end on 07/31! I would recommend anyone who's trying to join, to stay away! You will be charged incorrectly and it's practically impossible to get your money back. You'll also be treated disrespectfully and ridiculed. So be prepared for the worst at NYSC.

Original review: June 23, 2017

Canceled a year ago but was disconnected on phone so I find out now they've been charging my credit card for membership for past year when I thought membership was canceled and I haven't been to club in years.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I have been going to this gym for a number of years now. However, over the past two to three years, the standards of this gym have been going down fast! Dirty locker rooms together with lockers off their hinges never repaired for months at a time. In addition, the Manager Michael ** is combative and rude. (Supposed to be that way I assume.) The equipment breaks down and is repaired about 6 months later. Do NOT join. Pay more and go to Equinox if possible!!

New York Sports Club Company Information