1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

379 New York Sports Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I called the club from January 2nd to cancel my membership, they kept telling me they will give me call back later. Finally, when I walked in last Sunday they gave me a call yesterday and now they tell me I need to pay for half of the February to cancel my membership. This is not fair and I just want to let you know that because of the history of misusing my credit card from NYSC before (NYSC charged me multiple times in only two days in the first week of Dec 2018) my bank account not letting them to charge me anymore and the only way I can pay them for January is cash that they don’t accept it. Since I had so much problem with them I stopped using their service for months.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This gym operates with limited and old equipment. Members need to wait their turn to use the equipment. Their business practices are questionable considering that they take advantage of at least 70% of their members that for different reasons stop going to this gym while this company keeps collecting their membership's fees month after month indefinitely, they even increase their fees and don't really care if members use their facilities or not as long as they have access to their bank accounts.

I have been a member of over 2 years and been there only a few times due to the fact that is a boring place to workout with limited equipment available. They haven't incorporated any significant changes to their equipment to satisfy the need and motivation of members. Nothing new to see or do there. I canceled my membership by e-mail and eventually in person by the manager was more interested in collecting additional fees that listening to complains or suggestion on how to improve their facilities and business practices.

They have been taking money from my bank account for a long time without providing any service to me and when I stop this they referred my account to a collection company while sending me promotional e-mails every single day. My advice is read the contract before signing anything to make sure you know their cancellation policy and the charges associated with it. Review your bank statement every month and cancel your membership and access to them if you are not working out there on a regular basis or find a better deal with another gym.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Where old exercise equipment goes to die. That's because so many units (especially treadmills) are broken...like upwards of 40% of treadmills are non-working at any one time...and it's been that way for the last month a half. Staff said in early December that they'd be getting new equipment by mid-December but now it's mid-January and I have yet to see a single new piece of equipment. I've been a member for nearly 10 years now. Didn't use to be that way. Color me disappointment! I'd be elsewhere in a heartbeat if there was a better nearby option.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I canceled in the beginning of Nov in person at the Rego Park branch. I wrote up my cancellation notice by hand on the back of one of their schedules. They are still billing me and I have no proof I canceled. So, like I get, get a photocopy of your cancellation.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I joined NYSC on December 17th, 2018 through the Somers location, since my mother is a member there and has been for many years. I was also a member several years ago for a long time before relocating and joining a different gym. I decided to rejoin since a few of my friends are still members. After a few times exercising at the Hawthorne, NY gym, I began to realize and recall how terrible these gyms are managed and maintained.

The weights are in terrible shape (rubber literally peeling off), the benches wobble, the bottle-filler at the water fountain does not turn off and runs constantly, wasting water, and the bathrooms are disgusting. The hand-sanitizer dispensers, located all over the gym, are completely empty by the time I go at 6:30/7 pm, which also shows how management just doesn't care. There are also not even enough barbells per bench - people take them to other machines, leaving at least one bench (for bench pressing) without a barbell. Really????

On January 3rd, I decided to call up and cancel my membership (I spoke to a manager named Jose at the Somers gym). I was informed that there is a 45 day grace-period so my membership would cancel mid-February, incurring not only a monthly charge for February, but also the annual charge on January 15th. I argued that this is unfair, that I am cancelling with a valid reason and that I should not be charged the annual fee if I've only been a member for 2 weeks. They said there is nothing they can do and that I can call corporate. They also said that if I do not pay, I will be brought to collections.

NYSC is honestly a scam and NOT worth the money. I attempted to call corporate and each time I call, I am informed that they cannot take my call and to try again later. Are you serious? Overall, NYSC gyms are DISGUSTING and poorly managed. I have no idea how they're still in business after all this time. There are so many other gyms out there, although more expensive, that are beautiful, clean, and worth the money. I will never join or recommend NYSC to anyone else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Sports Club?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Canceled husband's membership (NYSC Carmel NY) in October, they told me there was a 45 day grace period for cancelations. I just received a 69.99 charge for annual fee. Called to get money back, they said I couldn't have it back because it landed on anniversary. Help. I will now cancel my membership. Join Planet Fitness, NYSC is a rip off.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Updated on 12/13/2018: Just wanted to update. So looks like when I went to the Great Neck office to complain about the extra charges yesterday and requested to cancel my membership. Sally the manager had the nerve to charge my account another $10 on my account in which I am putting a charge back on the $10 and $34.99 x 2.

Original Review: To start, the New York Sports Club in Great Neck is extremely filthy and have no supplies, we notified the club on many occasions and they said they will fix the issue, instead the place got worst and worst every month. We originally signed up in January with $24.99/monthly fee, on December/1 2018 we saw they charged me and my wife $34.99 each without notice. Same day we contacted the club requesting explanation but they said the manager is the one that can help, we requested to cancel the membership but they said that the manager is the that handles this as well but she is not there and we should call back the next day.

We tried contacting her for few days and left messages for her to call us back as we would like to terminate the account but she never called us back. After few more tries my wife finally was able to get her on the phone and she said that she was sick and was not at work, my wife explained that with the understanding that she was sick and hoping she feels better she is not willing to pay $34.99/month each and would like to cancel the membership. The manager said that she is not able to cancel the membership without additional unnecessary charges and if she will cancel she will be charged a lot of fees. My wife requested to remove these unfair fees and try to work with us in a way but she refused.

My wife explained to her that they had no right to charge us extra without first contacting and notifying us and that she tried reaching her since December/1 to cancel the account and she was not there and didn't have anyone to fill her place while she was out. Also didnt return her calls, if she would do so in a timely manner we would not have to pay for all the extra fees, the manager replied that she had all the right to be sick and there is nothing that she is willing to do, she was very rude to my wife and hanged up on her as well.

I went there yesterday to try to get this issue resolved and repeated my wife's issues to her and asked her to please cancel the account as of December/1. She asked why you like to cancel the membership and I explained to her that 1. the place was filthy and not safe to walk around, she said, "Oh I know it has been crazy here lately but we are working on it," in which I said, "sorry it's been like this all the time and we notified the club many times but it is just getting worst and no club should be unsafe to begin with." 2. There are no supplies ever, in which she said, "Oh I know, we are working on that too," in which I said it was like this to begin with as well. 3. We should not be charged extra without our approval and we would like to move on to another club so please honor the cancelation from December/1 and we are good to go without any fees as we tried reaching you since then.

At this time she started scream on me that there is nothing she can or willing to do, I saw that there is no way to get anywhere with her so I asked if it's possible to get the number for their headquarters in which she wrote it down on a paper and threw it in my face and started screaming on me. I told her, I am sorry but you have no right to throw anything on me and screaming on me, after all I am asking for my rights but you are trying to push me around to get my account charged for additional fees.

At this time the young gentleman that was working there with her behind the desk started screaming on me as well and telling me this is how things work around here and there is nothing I can do, I mentioned but I just asked for the headquarter's phone number and there is no reason to attack me like this. At this time I saw that the gentleman and the manager were about to charge at me physically and I told them that I like to remind them that there are security cameras facing them and I do not recommend they will do anything unwise and started leaving the place.

At this point me and my wife feel very unsafe that they will attack us again and cannot use this gym for the remaining of the month of membership that we have, we are signing up at another gym and would like to get a full refund of $69.98 for the month of December and would not want to have any additional fees attached to it as the manager wanted to do so. We also tried calling customer service and emailed the headquarters, customer service was trying to make us feel stupid so we didn't get anywhere there and headquarters did not even answer our emails.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

When I first signed up there were no special prices no sales going on no nothing. My regular fee was $24.99/mo with an annual fee of $65. I just made a year with my membership & I noticed that they had charged me $34.99. When I called to ask why all they said was “after a year corporate raises your membership fee”. My issue with this is that I was never informed, I never authorized to pay an extra $10. They said “emails were sent out”. No they were not! I know this because my email is working perfectly FINE that is how NYSC was able to email me an invoice for their “no show fee” a few weeks before the auto pay kicked in. When I spoke to someone at the front desk they basically blamed it all on corporate & advised me to deal with them & that they could refund me. When I spoke to corporate they said they had nothing to do with it that I had to talk to a manager at my gym location. NYSC IS A SCAM.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I have a corporate membership that covers most of the locations. When I visited a "premium" location on 23rd & Park I was charged $20 extra in September, $60 in October and $120 in November. Even though no one in the club told me that additional charges will apply. I do not understand why extra charges grow every month... When I called to customer serves I was on hold for 45 minutes, and the rep didn't help me to get any information on the charges. I also called to the location, but I'm still not sure if the charges will continue even though I do not visit this location anymore. Both the customer service rep and the manager at 23rd & Park were rude and unhelpful.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have been a member of NYSC for years. When I joined they told me 69.99 was for any increase during the year. So I paid the 69.99 and monthly charge is 39.99 monthly. I got my bill for 114.98 and $5 increase. I spoke to customer service. The woman was very rude and could care less. I told her about 69.99 for any increase. She said, "You were misinformed. And 69.99 was for the year." Didn't tell me any other plan. She was rude. Her name was Kathy. I think I will cancel my NYSC membership. Horrible service.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Last Thursday I was treated unfairly at the New York Sports Club located on Morris Park in the Bronx. I was forced to leave the gym immediately and leave my friends who I was working out with behind. Every day we meet up at the gym after work to reach out fitness goals individually. They are my friends and they like to follow my workout routine so I let them follow. We been training for more than 5 years together. We then leave the gym together every day and talk on a daily.

I was approached by the manager whose name is Dwayne **. According to Mr. ** I have been approached and warned before by one of the personal trainers at the gym who he disclosed his name was “Will”. I don’t ever recall having an interaction with this person. Once I expressed that to Mr. ** he responded and said that there was video footage of me training others and the conversation with Will. If that is the case as a consumer that feels cheated and discriminated I would like to request video footage to justify Mr. **'s reasoning for terminating my membership immediately. It was embarrassing and unjust.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I will just start by saying I do not have a signed contract with NYSC. I've never worked out there, and somehow they billed me over ~$1,000. I have been going back and forth with NYSC for over 6 months (what a headache). This place is a complete scam and is an example of a company that just doesn't know how to do the right thing and doesn't understand the value/cost of having integrity. I have never had such horrible customer service from Management. I had one manager approve the refund. (Very shady way - saying he had to do it in 3 installments over 3 months.) But he apparently got fired.

After over a month of trying to get the contact information for a decision maker, I get the Area Sales Manager and he is even worst. He is unresponsive. He sees that I do not have a contract and says that I need to have proof that I talked to the GM prior to 6/19. Why? I couldn't tell you but I definitely have a call log that says such. I sent it and he completely ignored it and won't respond to anything. This is absolutely mind blowing. Had they just done the right thing in the first place, I might have positive associations with their brand, refer them and even sign a contract when I was ready to sign up for a gym. Instead, they are forever corrupt, shady and a company that I will never set foot in and never recommend.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Get Ripped at New York Sports Club!! Before you agree to signing up to this gym a few things you should know. 1. Read and keep a copy of your contract. 2. Pay attention to the small print because when you decide to leave the gym it’s all about the small print. 3. Corporate customer service and local gym management are useless by giving you the runaround. 4. Make sure you cancel 45 days in advance. 5. Watch out for all miscellaneous hidden fees may or may not be in the contract.

My son wanted a gym membership and the gym was reasonable at $10 a month. Aside from registration fees all was good. Fast forward one year, my son heads off to college. He neglected to cancel his membership, he made several attempts to cancel over the phone and he was told he needed to cancel in person. My husband had to cancel the membership in person but was told because we did not cancel 45 days in advance my son was going to get charged the renewal fees for the following year $65 plus the additional months. In total they have deducted $150 worth of fees! In addition his monthly went up and he was not notified. Thank you for ripping us off!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My husband and I recently moved to the Bay Ridge part of Brooklyn. NYSC is the only gym that is offered in that area. Mostly all of NYSC's I have been to are amazing (most of them being in the NYC itself). BUT, the NYSC on 3rd Avenue in Bay Ridge has to be the worst and dirtiest NYSC I have ever been too. The equipment is severely outdated, the cardio machines are always broken or they do not have enough machines for their customers, the stretching area alone have been closed for months with no work being done, and in the men's locker room the lockers doors are falling off and outdated and the bath is a complete disaster zone. Not to mention how dirty the facility ALWAYS is.

This facility is not up to par with NYSC standards. For customer that pay premium rates and rates keep going up, we should have a great gym! We always get promotion emails to lower our monthly payments but it's for new members only. If only new customer received these offers these problems would both a lot of the customers they currently have. I will be canceling my membership at the end of this month.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I was a member of the club for about a year when I decided to cancel my membership in May 2018. The lady who helped me gave me a form to fill in and put it in a folder and said someone would be in touch. A month later, membership had not been canceled and my card was credited. I went back to the gym (633 3rd Ave.) and no one could locate my form.

They said someone would get in touch with me. NOTHING. Another month and another credit to my card. I have been to that gym at least 6 times in the past 3 months trying to resolve this issue and every time I'm referred to a different person who promises to resolve my issue but doesn't!! Last time I was there, was given an email address belonging to the Regional Manager (Ian). I sent an email immediately. This was 2 weeks ago and I haven't received even an acknowledgment of receipt. Just called now and guess what... the same excuse... "Manager just stepped out, someone will get in touch with you." What utter ** is this? If you can't handle your customers SHUT YOUR DOORS!!! I WANT MY MONEY!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I've canceled my membership in September. When I went to cancel my membership I went to the gym at Atlas Park Queens New York to speak to a young lady. She was too busy answering her Instagram and Facebook in order to reply or answer my questions. She flung off paper and a pen and said, "Sign here". When I try to ask questions regarding my policy she did not answer. She said she doesn't know. Management doesn't even exist in this place. I requested to speak to someone. Never did.

Furthermore it took them 2 weeks to answer me in regards to my cancellation. They advised that out it would be charges which were paid. Then two months later they charge me another $60 for membership for the following year which I was not using. I was canceling not renewing. I think they get those words confused. Not only does this charge does not make sense it's ridiculous and instead of trying to talk or understand they just say, "It the policy. That's what you signed up for," and hang up the phone on you. I would urge anyone who wants a quality gym this is definitely not it. Also 90% of the time the sauna room does not work. They always say they're working on it to fix it but they never actually fix it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I upgraded my membership to regional and it was not processed correctly. I was charged $15 each time I went to the other gym, not too my knowledge I was charged $105 for those fees (Sept 29); was told it will be a credit. I called the gym. They said they'd fix it and issue me a credit on my debit card. When I called they also charged me $59.99 (Oct 1) to upgrade not including the months worth of membership and then I was charged $35.25 (Oct 2) for the non-upgraded membership the day after I upgraded. I'm ready to cancel the whole membership and I want all of my money back because I spent $200 within a week for what? Garden City gym has old equipment and nothing is sanitary; honestly it's gross. The Massapequa gym doesn't even have a sauna or steam room. It's TOTAL ** that I'm not being given credit on my debit card. I DO NOT want a credit to my membership account. I want a credit to my debit card and to end this membership.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I signed up for NYSC at $20 3 years ago. They kept raising the price after a year, I asked if they can keep my price the same, they said they will. But I kept getting billed for the raised price. Asked them 5 more times with no results and I finally gave up and canceled my account. They said they are going to charge me $30 for cancellation and it was in the original contract I signed. Since they kept changing my contract by increasing my fees I called up the customer service and asked if they can waive the fees since the original price I signed changed numerous times. Service rep couldn't help me, I asked to speak to a manager, she wouldn't speak to me instead just told the rep to tell me the same thing. Was very disappointed with their service and will never go with them again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I visited 91st & 3rd Avenue NYSC and canceled my membership with a representative. They charged me for a further 2 months and said I had no proof. Get evidence from NYSC after you cancel your membership.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I pay for laundry service at NYSC. The company they subcontract to is so bad they can't even bring laundry back within a week. The entire New York Sports experience is subpar to all other gyms in NYC... but this club's inability to get my laundry back has ruined entire weeks for me. It's time to pay up for a real quality gym, which New York Sports is not. The club is cheap. You get what you pay for. I am furious.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

NYSC Ramsey NJ - terrible unsafe conditions - This location is terrible, it's been having issues with overheating temperature all summer. Per staff, the company was working on resolving this issue, however, it is now a major concern for me. It's been almost three months since I first raised this issue - temperature rising to 75F on the exercise floor. I came back today, September 9th, after vacation, after not being here for the past three weeks and the issue only gotten worse. The outside temperature today is 61F and cloudy. When I came through the front door I got blasted with the heat wave.

Sure enough I was right - the temperature on the exercise floor was 73F and it certain areas even higher. I ended up heading to the cycling studio, the one that usually is the only place that is comfortable enough when the AC in the main area is not functioning properly. However, even in the cycling room the temperature was above 70F, it didn't go below 70.2F, and I was the only one there... I am sure it took the measurement during the spin class with too full of people it would get close to 80F. The staff is not helpful at all, there is no management on the premises on Sunday, just the membership consultants... Can anyone at the corporate office or district manager please address this?!? It's been going on for too long already!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Unfortunately I canceled my membership because the prices continue to increase without services to match it. Steam rooms don’t function properly, a rat crawled out of the toilet in the ladies restroom downstairs, classes fill up way too fast and I was not benefiting from this gym in any way. The only class I could get into and enjoyed was boxing.

Another reason I canceled my membership is because when I had questions regarding the pricing of my membership I was placed on hold for 20-30 minutes waiting for Ricardo ** to take my calls. He never answers his calls and I was told that he left or was in a meeting or not in his office. I was only able to reach him via email. The customer service at this NYSC City Hall location is non-existent.

When I came in to cancel I was not informed of the 45 days it would take to cancel nor was I informed of the “pro-rated amount” would be. I also was not informed that there would be a cancellation fee to which Ricardo ** was very smug about. I will be taking my business to Blink down the street for a fair price and better customer service. This is the worst gym I’ve ever joined.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

This is surely the worst run swimming pool at NYSC. The manager, Rick I believe, is amazingly incompetent. How does he ever keep a job. On Labor Day weekend, at 10:20 AM the lifeguard starts to chase out people from the pool. Why? "The manager told me to start cleaning the pool!" "Can I speak with the manager?" "He is not here!" So a dozen or so people are chased out, even though the facility was open until 5 PM.

Two and half months ago, the same Ricky was repairing the pool heater. "We will be closed for 2 days to replace the heater. Then, we need another 3 days for the part I didn't order. Then, we need another week as it is taking longer," and so it continued for 2 months. The management method of a blind squirrel. Has no clue what he is doing.

With the heater replaced, Rick has to prove that it works, so he is running the water and the air so hot that he will give a heart attack to 50% of his elderly customers. Of, and he likes to switch men's and women's room every once in a while with minimal signage - can't tell you how much confusion this causes. Until somebody sues the club for an equivalent of sexual harassment. Whoever had similar experiences, please share them to get rid of this guy.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

NYSC is easily the worst gym in NYC, regardless of cost. The space is dank, the people who work there unmotivated (at a gym no less) and customer service is no-existing. As with other, I've experienced A/C outages that lasted months (14th Street/5th Ave- since closed), people not showing up to open the gym in the morning, leaving a dozen people in gym gear on the street waiting for someone to show at (and that was at 6:30am, a full hour after open), locker rooms that look like toilets themselves and various equipment left all over the floor without any staff monitor or floor assistance. In a nutshell, NYSC is the worst. For the money, choose Blink (if close to you), NYHRC (if close to you), YMCA (if close to you), Crunch (if close to you) or Equinox (if you can afford it). All are run like businesses with a central point of leadership and management. Town Sports/NYSC is run amuck!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I signed up for some sort of free or minimal-cost trial they were doing for the New Year last winter, and wound up not deciding to join this gym as I joined another. Since May, or longer, I forget, I have been getting multiple calls daily by a credit collections agency on behalf of NYSC. This is impossible that I owe them money as I was never a member and, more importantly, because I simply do not owe them money! This is a form of harassment and this gym is run by crooks, and considering how many other people have shared similar (and even worse) experiences, I don't think they should be in business anymore!

They are outsourcing other companies to harass ex-members and non-members in an attempt to collect unauthorized, perhaps even fraudulent funds. It is so frustrating getting 2-6 spam calls a day, during business meetings, while I'm sleeping, etc. No wonder people hate this gym! It has a horrible reputation and for good reason. Don't join, don't even do a trial — you'll regret it. There are so many better options out there.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

NYSC Cobble Hill Brooklyn criminal business practices. I joined the gym with my boyfriend while living in Brooklyn. A high pressure personal trainer approached me and sold me for a personal training session while I was on the treadmill - and I agreed to buy a few sessions with her. She had me digitally sign what I was told was a liability waiver. I had no idea I was signing something that said I had to cancel in writing and/or that I was agreeing to anything more than a few sessions. She never let me see what I was agreeing to and assured me it was only to protect her if I got hurt. I canceled my membership with the gym and text the trainer that I was moving out of the area and wasn't going to do any more sessions.

We canceled our membership in person in April. The gym has charged me for membership ever since and the trainer charged me 3 months of training sessions that I never agreed to at a gym I was no longer a member of. Almost $1000 total of charges that were not authorized. I disputed with Amex. The gym sent Amex an agreement I "signed" (must have been forged I never signed an agreement) that indicated I had to provide 30 days notice to cease training (I thought I just bought a few sessions!) Since I canceled in person - and they acknowledged said cancellation they used a different tactic to rob me - they played the "oh you had to cancel in writing" trick. The oldest criminal tactic used by gyms to steal from clients in the books.

Anyone on this forum who would like to start a class action I would love to hear from you. These practices should be examined by the state attorney general's office. There are levels of fraud, forgery and deceptive business practices going on here that should be examined at a much higher level. One only needs to review yelp, the NYSC corporate complaint website, BBB, etc to see the number of victims of this company are prodigious. Some consumer advocacy around this needs to happen ASAP. NYSC is a vile, shady and conscienceless abhorrent company stealing money from the folks who can afford the least.

Original review: July 17, 2018

On 5/09/2018, fitness training consultant Antony ** signed me up for personal training sessions at NYSC. He had me sign a keypad after explaining that the sessions would be $320/month. I had no idea my digital signature from that keypad was going to be placed onto an alleged contract that was never shown to me that day. The next month, I noticed that NYSC overcharged my account. It was for $435 instead of the $320/month that I was told. When I inquired with the personal training manager about the rate increase he was dismissive and said there was nothing he could do about the overcharge, and that I would have to contact their corporate offices.

I then called the NYSC corporate offices and they acknowledged that I was overcharged, but the representative at that number didn’t know why, and directed me to speak to Julie **, the general manager at the local gym. Right after I told Ms. ** about the mysterious rate increase, I was suddenly disconnected. I tried calling back, could not reach her, and she never returned my calls after that.

It seemed like I was getting a classic "runaround" scam. But I did contact the fitness manager once again; this time to cancel my personal training sessions entirely since no one could explain the overcharge. Mr. ** said he would not cancel the personal training sessions because I had allegedly signed a 90-day contract. As explained above, I never saw that contract; I only signed a keypad with no terms or contract in front of me. To my knowledge I had been simply signing up for $320/month sessions. I only became aware of the existence of the alleged contract after my attempt to cancel, when he sent it to me.

To my surprise my signature had been grafted/forged onto the contract without my knowledge using the imprint from the keypad I had signed. I was shocked that my signature was pasted all over a contract I never saw before this. At this point, it was clear he had neglected to make me aware of the alleged agreement during our initial meeting in May 2018, nor was I given a copy of the alleged agreement at that time. He was claiming I signed something that was never put in front of me when he handed me that digital keypad. So a digital image of my signature had been copy-pasted on three separate lines of an alleged agreement without my permission or knowledge on 5/09/2018.

Disgusted and frustrated by the deception, on June 14th, I told him over the phone that I would like to cancel the personal training agreement ENTIRELY and that I wanted to cancel not only the training sessions but my entire NYSC gym membership as well, due to their dishonest and deceptive tactics. He said I'd have to go to the gym in person to cancel. So that's what I did. The next day, on June 15, 2018, I went into the NYSC to make a complaint and cancel in person my membership. After canceling, I was given a receipt, which stated I had a $0 balance. I did not go back to the gym or have any additional personal training sessions after that.

Despite my efforts, during the first week of July I noticed that funds were still being taken from my account by NYSC. I was charged another $93.55 on 7/3/2018, $435 on 7/5/18, $105 on 7/9/18 and $165 on 7/15/18. Apparently NYSC was not abiding by my cancellation of personal training sessions or general gym membership. I emphatically deny any validity of their claims to contractual commitments because my signature was digitally forged onto an alleged agreement I did not see at the time. This has been a nightmarish experience and one which has put me into financial distress. I have researched online to see if other people have had similar experiences with NYSC and their digital keypad-enabled forgery, and there are numerous complaints. I request my funds be returned to my account as soon as possible. FORGERY is not acceptable or legal.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Not only is everything continually broken and in disrepair, they erroneously mark your services as "frozen" when you outright CANCEL personal training services. Been trying to resolve issue for weeks now. I'm not allowed to enter other gyms because of their mess up. Manager never calls me back. Pool is now broken without a date for when that service will be restored. It's disgusting. I want my money back!

Original review: June 28, 2018

I went in to the gym at 41st & 3rd to cancel my membership in August of 2017. Believing all was canceled correctly, I didn't notice until May that they were still charging me monthly. While this is embarrassing on my end, it doesn't give them the right to take my money, as I correctly went in to cancel, and never visited the gym after. I was told they could see that I'd never been in after the date I stated, and that they believed my "story" (offensive use of wording, as it's not a story, but a factual occurrence) but it wasn't good enough.

I called the gym and was apologized to and told my membership was canceled at the moment, but that corporate dealt in refunds. I then called corporate and was told not only was my membership not canceled EITHER in August 2017 or May 2018 when I alerted them to the situation, but that each individual club does refunds. After a long while, I finally got ahold of someone at that gym who was willing to help me. Unfortunately, someone at their club didn't do their job properly, and I was never given any proper paperwork about the cancellation, even after I asked if I needed any.

I asked them to check the security footage to see me come in and cancel, but they said that wasn't good enough for validation, as there is no audio; something that is out of my control. So I asked to speak to the person I spoke with the day of cancellation, but was told he no longer works for them. Something else out of my control. I was told I couldn't get a refund without validation, but when I asked for the forms of validation they could give me, they refused.

The manager finally turned the case over to the "higher-ups" and nearly three weeks went by before I heard from them again; meanwhile I was calling and calling, being told the person was "in a meeting," or "not in yet." I never heard back. I finally got ahold of them again when I found a new corporate contact, and they wanted to hear about the situation. I explained it, and they had the original manager from the club whom I had been dealing with finally call me back. He apologized for not responding, saying he thought the higher management was taking care of it. I said that didn't explain why he didn't return any of my calls. Eventually he said that they couldn't give me the full amount back, but would give me from the beginning of this year through May back in the monthly payments they'd taken from me. To me, this is still unfair, but I agreed, as frankly, I was tired of dealing with this.

He told me to reach out to Ian in corporate about scheduling my refund, but when Ian called me (after ignoring my first email) I was promptly informed I'd not be getting ANY money back. Even after I explained the situation, being thrown around, and not responded to. He offered me a discounted membership though. What an insult! That is the last thing I'd want; belonging to a gym who treats its members so terribly.

I am beyond frustrated and disappointed. In total, they took over $1,000 from me. When I called originally, I was jerked around about who could properly handle my situation, and was lied to twice about being cancelled. When I asked them to check my records of validation, they said it wasn't good enough. When I explained how I followed all proper procedures, but someone from their end didn't do their job correctly, I was told they "felt badly" for me. When I was told I'd get some semblance of a refund, and when I asked for it in writing, I was told this would not happen. AVOID THIS TERRIBLE GYM AT ALL COSTS. They'll take your money, no matter how correctly you follow their cancellation procedures. I am so upset. Over $1,000 down the drain because someone at their location was too lazy to do their job correctly. Despicable.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The gym has not had air conditioning in the studios for over a month now and I can no longer go due to health issues - I'm asthmatic and it has now become a very tough to breathe for me. What are they waiting for? This is a board of health issue and will be the next place I reach out to - someone has to be liable for this! I've been trying to reach someone and only facilities has answered me without things getting done? PLEASE - we need air conditioning in the gym! One month is way too long - 84 degrees in the studio is unexceptionable and unhealthy! We pay good money for what?

New York Sports Club Company Information