New York Sports Club

Compare Health Clubs

Research top Health Clubs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I joined in July of 2015 for one year and when July 2016 came around they renewed me without emailing, calling or mailing me and proceeded to charge me every month without my consent or knowledge. Now just like all the other reviews I am finding it very hard to cancel my membership. Really wish I had read all the reviews here before joining. No way to cancel online, can’t cancel on the phone because the girl who answered doesn’t know where the manager... all day long. And the website overall sucks because you don’t have any of your membership info, like policies available. In this day and age of technology there is no good reason why I should have to go into the gym to cancel. I’m going on Monday in person. Anyone wanna place bets on the fact that there won’t be anyone there to help me?

I signed up to New Rochelle NYSC in 2014. The club had a special promotion $19.95, per month w/ a $200.00 deposit. Great right? WRONG! I was told I could bring a guest (same guest) at any time. I was told I had access to classes for free. I had complete access to all equipment in facility. After 1 month I was told I could not bring my guest (which I never brought anyway). Certain equipment had a code put on it (massage beds etc.). I was told I had to upgrade my membership to $49.00 to use it. The only free classes were sample classes. I reported this switch to a general manager at another facility. He heard similar stories from other members and offered me use at the White Plains location at no extra charge.

I rarely use NYSC, maybe 10x since I joined. Recently went to White Plains location approximately 4x. Got a bill for $60.00 explained to Mgmt. the situation. They told me the Manager doesn't work there anymore and I was stuck with the charges. I realized the franchise is in serious membership decline, so they are going all out to collect $$$. Overall, facilities are falling apart, feels like I'm going into a rathole. Staff professionalism needs big improvement. and membership recruiters should be held accountable for deceiving public. If it is legal, record it.

So before you join I would suggest you do this. Go online and find a way to cancel your membership. Better yet go online on their website and find a way to get a phone number for someone to call. Exactly, a company that has no direct phone number advertised, no way of canceling and when you even type in the search bar of their website "cancel membership" comes up with no relevant results.

There's lots of reviews on here about their business practices, but I've been paying for a gym now for 4 months that I've not used, because I can't cancel it and no one is returning my emails. In any other business this would be considered a scam. Listen to the warnings, don't sign up and don't even get me started on the personal training scam that they pulled on me. Just read the fine print carefully and don't trust what the person verbally tells you.

I have been going to NYSC for over 15 years. I am currently looking for another fitness club as NYSC has steadily gone downhill. The clubs are dirty and dimly lit and the staff at Irving Place (where I usually go) is indifferent. The steam room is often out of order and dirty towels pile up and spill over on the floor in the locker room. I only maintain my membership but I enjoy a few of the instructors but honestly it's not worth it as rates are constantly increasing and service declines.

I am a member of NYSC / Midwood located in Brooklyn, NY. I have being a member for about 3 years. I used to weighted 263 pounds and I lost a lot of weight. Now I weight 128 pounds and I live a very healthy life. So working out means a lot to me and I take very serious. I noticed that there are a lot of guys that not only look at you, but stare at you while you workout. Even though that's is creepy I ignore it. However, now there is a new level of creepiness at the gym. Guys take pictures of you while you are working out. It happened to me 4 times already.

I had complained to corporate management twice about this issue. However they have done nothing to address this problem. This is harassment and an invasion of my privacy. I would go to a women's gym but they don't have enough machines or equipment for strength training and I love weight lifting. This location has a very disrespectful environment and it is full of creepy guys. Be aware and be safe.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Sports Club?

This place is disgusting! It's filthy and the staff are good for nothing. I suggest you find another gym to fulfill your needs.

In 2011 my niece, nephew and 16 year old daughter joined NYSC. The three of them cancelled their membership the same time. Never paying attention to my AMEX bill my wife thought the charge was my NYC parking permit. The charge was from NYSC five years after my daughter's cancellation. Once I discovered it was NYSC still charging me I had put a block on my AMEX. I spoke to a number of people who told me the problem would be resolved. NYSC is still calling my daughter and my home phone looking for a new credit card.

I've been to NYSC a number of times. Every time I get there the manager has just stepped out or left early. On my last visit I wrote him a letter explaining my situation and asking him to please call me it's urgent, the receptionist put it under his door. Still have not heard from anyone. The calls are still coming in. Now they're saying I'm going to collections. In 2012 my home and business were severely damaged by Super Storm Sandy. So many valuable papers were lost deeds, social security, marriage license, insurance papers and my NYSC cancellation. They want to see that cancellation paper and still have my daughter as an active member even though she hasn't been there in 5 years. Stay far away from this place it's ROBBERY!!! I don't know how they can sleep at night getting over on so many people. I think it's time to call 7 on your side or Shame on You to expose this game they have going on.

The worst Gym EVER!!! NYSC as a whole has the worst customer service. They will rob you of as much money as they can. You can be a member for 10 years and they could care less. If member prices change and you want to change plans even if you're already a member they make you pay an initiation fee. I had stop going, received calls and emails stating if I don't pay or contact them within the next few days that they will cancel my membership. I called twice and no one answered and I had my bill sent to collections. They charged me for 3 months and late fees what a rip-off... I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS GYM TO ANYONE!!!

I have been a member for over 8 year. I have signed a contract for one year only. NYSC never bother to extend the contract, however they kept raising the monthly membership fee. In December 2015 I have notified the Branch on 94th and Broadway that I no longer wish to be a member. They said, "Okay if that's what you want."

Today I got a letter from a Collection agency, First time in my life, I had no idea what for. I thought I am a victim of identity theft so I called to find out... And I did find out the NYSC is after me, apparently they claim they never approve my cancellation. I try to explain that I have not step my foot in the club since the beginning of 2016... But the collection agency do not care. So Even though they have no contract with me, even though I am not a member there they still trying to give me Hard time. I hope I can see them at court. P.S.: I am not even starting to describe the poor conditions and the bad service this GYM offers.

My mother purchased what she and I thought was 12 sessions of personal training. She is not a member and gave it to me as a bday present. Shortly after I began training, her card was charged again and so was my card (632.00) not a small amount. I immediately cancelled my card and disputed and she did the same. The trainer told me not to worry about it, that he would look at my account and take care of it. Shortly after the complaint to the credit card company, NYSC sent a document with a scribbled signature on it (not mine) that stated I signed up for 12 personal training sessions for 3 consecutive months. These charges still remain on my mother's card from 2014!!! I have been trying to dispute this for over a year and half. I am going to news!!! They said they have cameras and can prove I signed a key pad.

I said "do you have live footage with voice, so you can hear what was being communicated as I signed the keypad?" The answer was NO. Why, you wonder... because it's a scam!!! They won't give my mother back her money and they have charged over 1200 to her account which she has been paying interest on for over a year and half. This is insane. NYSC in Livingston, NJ should be ashamed of themselves!!! Ironically, the staff has changed over so many times and so had the director of the training dept. who was fighting me on this. I was an original member to this gym since it's inception and this was supposed to be a one time bday gift from my parents. Oh, did I mention they also charged my card, as well. So, double charged?! I had them remove those but they refuse to remove my mother's card. This is an awful system, a scam. This gym is a bunch of liars and thieves and should be shut down!!!

I followed protocol by contacting NYSC as soon as I receive a past due collection letter saying I'm 134.85 in collections with a restricted account. There was never any prior billing of any sort and the top people at collection said they don't have to contact you. Why contact me with a collections notice if you can't first present a past due bill. I've never been late and was never contacted by the company. My security was compromised by a lost wallet and this subpar service given by NYSC added to my frustration. There's not one favorable review of their business practice and with further research I've saw for myself why. They are very suspect of predator behavior hoping members occur non-payment to send collection notices. Pathetic at best. I'm sure there will be a downfall of this OVERPRICED, GREEDY, OBNOXIOUS gym. No regards for the people who keep the lights on I'm taking my services to CrossFit. NYSC is a SCAM...

I received an advertisement flyer in the mail for a gym membership. I presented the membership flyer at the front desk. I was told this was a price that was given last year. I informed the front desk manager that I had received it two days prior. He informed me that he could not give me the advertised price. I then submitted a complaint to the site. I was offer a price that was a reduction on only ten dollars. I asked why I was not given the advertised price. I am sure the United States Postal Service didn't print out sports club flyers. I submitted another complaint. And the club did nothing to resolve this issue. I went to the club again and spoke to the club manager. The club refused to honor the flyer.

I sent a complaint to the corporate office and did not receive a response from them. I am a 56 year older African American Women who wants to continue to work on my physical health. I was shown the facility and had a greater interest in the indoor pool. I am currently a gym member at another facility that does not have a indoor pool. I am very disappointed in the practice at New York Sports Club located in Bayonne, New Jersey.

Disappointed at the amount of times and lame excuses for the Jacuzzi being closed. When it is open the chemicals are not properly maintained. The equipment is old and not maintained. Staff is indifferent and will not tell the truth about the equipment.

The reason why I became a member of The NYSC at Deer Park was to bring my autistic son for swimming classes. It has been my priority for him to be able to survive in the water since there are higher rates of autistic children wandering. My son is only 5 years old, he is very hyper and I brought this to the moment I registered. But, during our second class he ran away from me. The working out area and weight lifting area is open. I tried to catch him to prevent him from getting injured but did not realize the floor was uneven. Misstepped my right foot causing an injury to my ankle.

After 5 days trying to get a hold of the manager, finally today I got the luck to speak to him. His name is Charles, who mistreated me over the phone, did not acknowledge my fall. I am uncertain that he even filed an incident report, even though they called the ambulance and I was taken to the ER. He said they won't cover any of my medical bills and at the end I said I want my money back.

This place is unsafe. There should be a separate entrance for children going to swimming classes because of the fact that all the workout area is open. Plus, he made me feel unwelcome to ever return there. I am unable to drive, I cannot even go there if I wanted. And, seriously I rather go back to Safety Swim, the place I used to go before and during 3 years we never got injured. Shame on you! I cannot recommend your place for many reasons! The biggest one, the way you treat your customers with special needs!

Back in, I believe, 2012 I joined the New York Sports Club at 26 Court Street, the building in which my law office was located. Apart from the initial walk-through, I used NYSC once. The fee charged was some $69 per month. After approximately one year, realizing that despite my best intentions I was never going to actively use the club, I went downstairs to their office and spoke to the woman who then appeared to be in charge. I informed her that I wanted to cancel my membership; after our conversation I wasn't asked to sign anything and left.

Almost three years later, while reviewing my annual credit card statement with a view towards doing my own taxes, I noticed monthly references to payments to NYC-Court Street. I then realized that, notwithstanding the assurance which I had been given by their office staff, NYSC had for years been billing me monthly fees. When I again went to their office and spoke to an Assistant Manager, I was assured that he would address the problem and get back to me. Of course, this never happened. I am now endeavoring to block future payments through my bank and, as a trial attorney of some 35 years experience, will consider commencing a lawsuit against NYSC for what I deem to be fraudulent practices. An industrial strength vacuum cleaner couldn't suck up money like NYSC, apparently routinely, does.

Worst customer service I have ever experienced or rather there is no customer service. There is no reply to email inquiries and the website is terrible. Impossible to cancel membership directly from website.

Workers don't pick up plates, dumbbells, and bars that are left in the wrong place consistently. Do their workers only act as personal trainers? Aren't they supposed to make sure that the weight room floor is safe for people to work out? My wife was using a hybrid version of the Smith Machine. Someone had put an extra bar that did NOT belong there. When my wife went to use the machine the proper way, the extra bar fell and hit her on top of her head causing a concussion.

If the workers had been inspecting the area more regularly, they would have seen the bar and returned it to its proper location. What's more shocking is that my wife notified a club team member of the details. She said that the manager would call her to talk about the incident, but the manager NEVER CALLED HER BACK! Working out at NYSC Princeton might just not be worth it.

I run a non-profit organization that helps people with disability afford recreation activities. We awarded a 1-year membership to someone, and while NYSC would not accept a one-time payment and insisted upon credit card auto pay, they not only overcharged during the initial year, but also continued to ignore our requests for cancelling the payment setup on the membership. They now have about $1200 of the organization's money that could be helping another person live a more active life and possibly live longer. I would greatly appreciate anyone contacting me directly as I am considering pursuing an attorney for a class action against NYSC as this seems to be a very common deceptive practice of the company. Please feel free to contact me directly if you are feeling the same way and have interest in compiling stories to pursue NYSC with.

No clock in steam room and sauna room. It may cause injury for not aware of time in the rooms.

I created an account on this site in order to post this, in hopes of alerting NYSC members to check their credit card statements. In April 2014 at the NYSC W80th street location I signed up for three personal training sessions for that month, with a trainer I knew well, and whose small-group classes I had taken. I asked explicitly whether this was a recurring charge, to make sure that I'd only be charged for the training sessions that month. Though I was verbally assured that this was the case, it turns out that the paper I signed (buyer beware, ok I get it), says that the user must actively cancel the personal training.

This is all very cute, and the company is clever in its approach whereby the trainer says one thing and the contract says another. And either I'm the world's stupidest consumer or I'm not the first person who has been burned by this. I only recently realized that my credit card has been charged twice each month since April 2014: One charge for monthly membership fee and another charge for what I now understand is, in essence, a whole separate monthly membership fee: personal training. Also cute is the fact that both charges appear on my credit card bill as identical, generic entries. The result is that NYSC has charged about $1,500 for zero services rendered. I could go on with other ridiculous nuances of this but I'll spare you. Check your credit card statements people.

We have the same problem others here are reporting. New York Sports Club sold my sister a more expensive plan so she would be allowed to bring a guest. There was NO rules that the same person could not go as a guest. Now they say they changed their rules and you can no longer bring the same guest more than once. Well you would think she would be allowed to go back to the cheaper plan then. But they are not allowing her to do this. This is bait and switch. It is dishonest and we need a class action suit against them.

NYSC is known for not cancelling memberships and continuing to charge you monthly fees. I attempted to cancel my membership back in September 2015, it is now February and I am still being charged. I originally cancelled my membership online however I got charged again the following month. I called the gym looking to be refunded for the previous month. It took 5 calls to finally speak to a manager by the name of Santiago who was arrogant and blatantly told me there was no chance I would get a refund no and in addition I would be charged a cancellation fee of $32.00. He did however say he was cancelling my membership now and at my request would ask the general manager by the name of Saul ** to call me back because apparently he does not have a number that members are allowed to have.

Needless to say I never received a call back and was charged again in December for $32.00. I assumed this to be the cancellation fee as the rude manager ** said I would be charged. Now comes January and I am charged $47.05. I again called the club several times before I spoke to the now manager Chris, a bit more sympathetic but again I was told my membership was active and the only notes he had of my conversation with ** was that I was looking for a refund for October's fees but nothing about wanting to cancel my membership. When I explained to him that in order to be requesting a refund for fees I would have had to have cancelled my membership he stated he would speak to this general manager Saul ** who members are not allowed to speak with in regards to a refund. Again no return call was received and I called an additional 5x's without any resolution.

I was charged again February 16th for $47.05 and was told this was my cancellation fee. I again disputed the charges and went in person to the gym and still was told, I will not get a refund. I am currently working with my bank on disputing the charges as well as filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I have also contacted my lawyer in a hopes to stop their bad business practices. NYSC has 272 complaints and is known for not cancelling memberships. I encourage everybody this has happened to to do the same. This is the only way to put an end to this.

I checked in to workout, and was told by front desk I can no longer bring a guest. The reason I signed up to this gym is because it's near my home and would be able to bring a friend along. I am so disappointed, totally not fair. They say you can only bring a first time guest, that's crazy...

My husband signed up for $29.95 per month membership (vs $19.95) and was told for the higher cost he could bring a guest any time he goes. When he went in December he was told he no longer could bring a guest and that he could not downgrade to the $19.95 per month as it was no longer an available option. This club needs to be investigated and people need to get their membership contracts when they sign up.

This place is a total ripoff. They suck money in every possible way, be sure to have everything in writing from sign up till cancelling. They say one thing but do another. When I signed up for the membership last year I was told only 30 days notice is enough, but when I called up to cancel they said it's $30 for cancelling and owe a monthly fee (which I'm aware of). My wife went during the last week of Jan to cancel the membership and was told there are some late fees and cancelling fees, when she said she wanted to talk to the manager, front desk told no manager available. This hide & seek game went on for couple of days. Finally when I got the manager number and called on Feb 2 to cancel, he says "You should have come 1 day earlier to not charge the Feb month fees." On top of this they charged the annual fee which is $60 (Non refundable), for the year that just started.

Management itself is pretty rude and the manager I spoke to never even bothered to understand my concern and kept on saying it's company policy. For cancelling my membership I'm paying $30 (cancel fee) + $20 (monthly fee) + $60 (annual fee non refundable for 2016) = $110. Nightmare is not over yet, there was some problem with my card, and I was never notified abt the problem, and I didn't check my statement as well. I came to know that I was charged $15 each month as late fee, when I asked why was I not notified when there was a problem, manager said "We can't call every member for a card issue. But can charge $15 late fee without notifying the member." My friends joined this gym, just bcos it's near to our place & we want to work out as a group. I feel bad that I dragged them into this. WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE. BEWARE, to check the statement for any overage fees.

Signed in for a membership for 29 dollars a month and few months I check my bank account and realized that they charged me 59 dollars 3 times a month!!! Tried talking to them and they gave me the runaround so had to dispute the charges and still they lied to my bank!!!! Just had to canceled my card. There is definitely something fishy going on with this gym!!!! Watch out!!!

I recently signed my dad up a few days ago for the NYSC in Hicksville, and fully paid the dues for the year and for next month, but yesterday he noticed a flyer in the gym that made me extremely frustrated. I will send you a picture of it in my next email, but it says "Member Update, as of February 1, We will no longer allow repeat guests in this club for free. If you would like to continue your workouts, please see a member of our staff to discuss how you can join. Thank you. [BSC]" It isn't even a flyer from the right region (NYSC), and it is a clear example of fraudulent business practices.

As someone who cares a lot about Hicksville, I will not let this go unnoticed; luring customers with services, then canceling them a few days later after payment is incredibly illegal and unethical. My dad works very hard for his money and he spent hours looking at what gym he should join and what benefits they all had. He saved up just so he could join this gym and bring his wife with him. Are you guys kidding? This is terrible and if this policy goes effect on February 1st, I will press full legal actions against your gym, not just for my dad, but for every member involved. I will get signatures and everything, because it isn't just an illegal practice, but it will set precedent for future unethical practices in our neighborhood and that's something I will not stand for. I will make sure everyone is made whole again and your gym is charged punitively so it will not even think that these unethical practices are an option again.

I cancelled my membership with their employee, **, at the Boerum Hill location at 96 Boerum Place. I called to follow up with him numerous times and he assured me that my membership had been cancelled. I continued to get charged monthly. I put a stop on the charges, and when the gym called to collect payment, I asked again that they cancel my membership if they hadn't already. I referred to my prior cancellation. Fourteen months later they were still charging me. The gym owes me over $1400 in refunds, and yet they refuse to pay. They have very few records kept. They can tell me that I haven't used the gym since September 2014, but they cannot tell me whether or not ** kept any records whatsoever. The customer service is horrible. Even worse is their business tactics and outright dishonesty. Signing up for this gym is a vote for fraud and theft.

They make you sign a contract and once they have that thing, they abuse it. I put my account on freeze and they kept charging me 69.99 and it took me months to and, time, and many "promises" before I was refunded. I was not alerted when the freeze came off and they got me for $140 before I picked it up. I called and tried talking with them that I hadn't used the gym in well over a year and they know because every time you go you have to swipe in. Don't sign any contracts with them.

Consumer Increased Rating!

The company has contacted me within hours of my initial review going public. Providing both documentation/receipt and a refund. Thank you!

Dmitry of Bloomfield , NJ on

Original Review

They charged my CC for $150 without providing any explanations. I have contacted them in writing asking for written explanation to this bill. It was not provided. I have not used this club in a while and asked to terminate. The lady over the phone said that it was early contract termination fine. This is NOT the case, since my termination was with notice and I was a member for over 2 years. They just charged my CC for $150 without any warning, explanation or a written bill or a written receipt.

New York Sports Club Company Profile