Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.00/5

New York Sports Club Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Sports Club?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Sports Club?

Original review: April 6, 2021

I have absolutely no qualms with the gym, with the equipment or the facilities. When I was at the club, I had a very good experience. But I do have to let people know about the poor experience I had with the business end of this club. I joined in 11/2019, taking advantage of an offer for two free months, plus a third if I got my spouse to try it out. I later found out that the person I was dealing with wasn't authorized to offer me this deal, but he did and I took it.

Our first month was free as promised, but then the charges started. When I asked them to look into it, I was told it would be taken care of. I never saw the refund or proof of credit. As the pandemic hit, the club continued to charge me. I was later refunded for half of March and the month of April after the AG brought on a suit. Charges resumed in September, on the first day that the state allowed gyms to reopen, even though many of the clubs were not available for use. I wrote to them and had the freeze on my account extended and was told that the charge would be taken care of.

After I didn't see any progress, I went in and spoke with the customer service manager. After showing her emails and bank statements proving I was misled and erroneously charged, I was told that I was due a refund. Two months later, no such refund came. I was passed on to the Asst. General Manager who told me he thought it was taken care of and that he'd work on it.

A month and a half after that I reached out to a new Customer Relations Manager who looked into it and told me that due to company restructuring, they couldn't refund me any of the money they had said I was owed, but that I could get three months' credit. At this point, I didn't trust the club with my credit card, plus many of the locations that I would have used were no longer part of the network, so the offer was pretty much useless to me. I terminated my membership. The point of my long spiel is that I understand that the business model of many of these clubs is at times unscrupulous, but I feel like at almost every point in my interaction with NYSC I was taken advantage of and misled. $268 of mine was taken and I will not see it back. I wouldn't recommend this club to anyone and urge you to proceed with caution when giving them your credit card.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

Waiting for NYSC to open, without information or update from them, no email. Finally learn local club is to open 10/1. Or it ‘seems’ that way. When I see A credit card charge for month of September, I see they are up to old tricks. The club is closed. How is it with all of these complaints about the lack of ethics here, they still do that, sneak in a charge? Guys, please, if you want your club to count on members, be accountable for honest credit card charges. You can’t bill members during a pandemic or when the club is closed AND when you have sent no data to members informing them of member status.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Today was my first day back at New York Sports Club since March. I was very excited to hear they were finally ready to reopen. I arrived around 9:00am to a gym that was clean and prepared to welcome its members back. I was first asked if they could take my temperature before entering and then asked a series of questions regarding my health and any recent travel. The machines were spaced six feet apart and towels were in abundant supply. The showers were all closed off to customers. I have to say the staff and General Manager were ready for business.

Cal who is a staple behind the counter in the morning is always upbeat and glad to see everyone. The General Manager Karen walked the floors attending to and meeting customers. One thing I discovered is the folks at NYSC were as eager to see us as we were to see them. This is a great first step of getting back to normal. So pack your patience and empathy and remember, we’re all in this together.

Original review: April 20, 2020

NYSC has excellent training and many classes but gym maintenance is poor and very bad on cleanliness. The club has many locations if you pay for a more expensive membership but that gives you the greatest choice of classes including morning classes.

Original review: April 15, 2020

On March 16, 9:00 pm NYSC shutdown for the pandemic. Instead of freezing my membership (just as Blink did), they charged me for the month of April then waited until April 8th to freeze all memberships. On April 10th, after membership was frozen, they charged me $59.99!!! This is clearly illegal and TSI (the holding company) is being sued.

Original review: April 14, 2020

It's usually small spaced. People are friendly. I liked it initially because I was getting some individualized oversight as to what classes would be best after recent surgery. But they are very rigid, training prices excessive, want payment to get help with equipment unless very easy questions and they suddenly increased my rates despite my fixed income. Nice manager reduced and locked them. Then I was injured and couldnt return and they wanted me to pay annual fees anyway. Took 2 months to clear up. I hear they were just sued for charging dues while gyms are closed. Doesnt surprise me. It's local and convenient and if you can swing a sale rate and can fight back to make sure you aren't taken for a ride on rates and charges their classes are excellent and their equipment is very good.

Original review: April 7, 2020

First they raised the monthly fee and then took me out of the app to later charge me April fees. Now it won't let me enter to the app or log in to the website to cancel my subscription. The phone do not work or emails are not answered, I want to know if some can help me?

Original review: March 17, 2020

NYSC West End has made my daughter's membership cancellation a living nightmare, an evolving ordeal of outrageous customer abuse. She is a Canadian university student who did an internship in NYC in the summer of 2019, and has been back in Canada since August of 2019. She signed up NYSC membership while she was there; but since she is no longer in NYC, she has attempted to cancel since October 2019 with a formal letter of cancellation. The NYSC West End has used all the possible excuses to deny and delay her cancellation:

(1) They claimed they did not receive the cancellation letter; they said later the letter had to be sent via a registered mail - in today's digital age, they put in the most ancient method of mailing in their policy, designed to be the most inconvenient and difficult for most people to follow. They would never request any membership application to be sent via a registered mail, would they?!

(2) The manager was in meeting all day (My daughter called Ms. **, the General Manager of this club, 7 times and never got a call back!);

(3) Finally after repeated phone calls and emails, Sheetza got hold of the GM and was told that she had to pay a cancellation fee; and,

(4) The GM lied to my daughter that the refund would take up to 45 days to process and it would not be a full refund (but you wouldn't take that long to charge membership fees, would you?!);

(5) Just as she thought the worst was over, NYSC West End charged yet again a new monthly membership fee on March 1, 2020 AFTER she informed them of the cancellation and a cancellation fee was charged on her credit card on February 20, 2020.

Could this ordeal get any worse? It could and did. After we sent a complaint letter to their HereToHelp line, a person from "customer service" told my daughter that there would be NO refund; and worse yet, they intended to charge another month of membership fee in April! By reading some of the Google reviews and those on this ConsumerAffairs site, it seems that NYSC has a history of reckless charging fees on their clients' credit cards.

How could anyone at NYSC West End do this to a young university student? She had a great time working on an internship in NYC, but NYSC West End's unethical behaviour has damaged any trust she would have on this club and the sports club industry in general. This is an outrageous case of customer abuse, poor management, shameless lack of business ethics, and greed of no boundary. If there were negative stars, I would have given them negative 5 stars. They don't even deserve this 1 star. Do not sign up any membership with New York Sports Club!

Original review: March 17, 2020

I was mistakenly given a "neighborhood" subscription versus a "neighborhood plus" subscription. Later I found out that each visit to a location that wasn't my home gym was $15. I tried to correct this, I even offered to upgrade my subscription to correct the issue. They weren't interested. I spoke to managers at a few locations, as well as Latisha in the corp office. I was stuck paying for the visits somewhere in the range of $500. They weren't willing to work with me to correct the issue and refund my money. I'm going back to New York Health and Racquet, I never had a problem with them. Hopefully my bank will understand this and refund my money.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I only wish I could give ZERO stars. Terrible customer service, completely incompetent management and just a terrible facility. I stopped going after a few months and had to keep paying because I was under contract. MISTAKE. When I and others complained about the shower heads always being broken Manager Derick blamed US. He actually said "well you ** guys keep breaking them." Place should be shut down and Derick ** should never be able to work again. Rip off artists to the Nth degree. I want my money back.

New York Sports Club Company Information