Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Jan. 15, 2016

I apologize, I should have posted this resolution a long time ago. The company reached out to me and resolved this matter in a mutually acceptable manner. I sincerely appreciate them doing this for me, and to be completely honest, I now have to uphold my end of the bargain...one of which I failed to do by not changing my review. Thank you to In-Shape for the resolution, I hold no ill will, my wish was for the situation to end, and it did to my satisfaction, and I trust yours.

Original review: June 17, 2014

I signed up for In-Shape membership at Babies-R-Us in 2002, I spoke to the corporate office in 2003 and faxed a handwritten cancellation in because I was told it had to be in writing. The gentleman got my cancellation fax, and I assumed it was taken care of at that time, which is my fault, he said he received my fax right!? It was coming out of my account automatically, which stopped immediately, more evidence that the membership was cancelled. In May of 2004, I received a collection letter from the in house collection department. The bill was for $635.xx, which was allegedly through April of 2004. I explained that I had cancelled at the contract end date which was for October of 2003. They stated they had not received my cancellation letter and would need payment immediately to stop any further action. I disputed this with several people at the corporate office, all of whom seemed to continue being terminated or quit, but were never there to see it to the finish for me, and that became very frustrating.

Finally I seemed to hit a breaking point where they said that the account had been closed. I stopped receiving collection calls from them, no letters, and once again, it was over. In 2009 I received a call from CB Merchant Services of Stockton, stating they had been referred the account, and had acquired a judgement in March of 2005 for the debt from In-Shape! Keep in mind that my phone number hasn't changed to this day for around 16yrs, and at that time, I STILL lived at the same address!?! WHEN WAS I SERVED THIS NOTICE?? OH...never...bummer for me I guess. I had a very heated discussion with the lady on the phone, as well as her supervisor. I then called In-Shape corporate, who after reviewing the details apologized for the whole incident, and stated that she was going to start a process to vacate the judgment, and get this taken care of for me. I finally breathed a sigh of relief...I called back several days later, she said to give her some time, she was waiting on legal or something I don't remember, but the good news is she still worked there!

Finally, I didn't receive any more calls, and I called CB Merchant, they said they just needed the court papers to vacate a judgement, again. Seemed pretty solid. I'm skipping over a ton of time and phone calls here, but lets fast forward to 2014. This thing is still not on my credit, I still have yet to get it resolved. This is absolutely the worst case of poor customer handling, professionalism, follow-through, and just fraudulent charges I have ever had to deal with. I finally went to consult with a couple of attorneys who very gently told me I was out of options, and I could try to settle or just pay the bill, but I was pretty much stuck! WOW...I know they are doing their best to help, but when I'm wrong I admit it, I should know, I've done it before! I'M NOT WRONG!? I'm not the only one this has happened to either, there are a crazy amount of people who have had this happen. Now I'm stuck paying THOUSANDS of dollars over a simple little stupid letter that they allegedly didn't receive, but the gentleman I spoke to SAID HE GOT IT? Oh, but that's not all. They are now, 10 YEARS later, telling me it is not just in writing, it is has to be CERTIFIED MAIL ON THEIR FORM SENT TO THEM! SERIOUSLY??

In-Shape was a little tiny company 12yrs ago and you expect me to believe that this was their policy then!? To the unknowing eye, from my small perspective, this company has gotten crazy big off of some cruel business practices, along with a pretty simple contractual scam. I am totally lost, not sure if I should file a lawsuit against IN-SHAPE or if I should just picket in front of every gym I have time to do? I'm sure people have cancelled before, and had no trouble at all, in fact I'm sure people even enjoy going the gyms. I, however, will find a way to publicly express my frustration at being horribly mishandled. I'm tired of it, clearly I am way to patient and it got me nowhere with them.

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Anonymous - It was a pleausre speaking with you and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to address you concerns. As a management team, our commitment is to our members and their experience, while ensuring a clean, friendly, and well maintained and inviting facility. Thanks again for sharing and have an In-Shape Day! Best - Kioti

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I use to like to come here to the Victorville In-Shape because of a certain employee who no longer works the front desk. She was so kind, always saying hello with a name attached to it, but she moved up and my rating is based on the number of times since then coming in this gym. It is sad that not one person acknowledges you with a hello. So many times, it is co-workers talking to one another about meaningless things, not lifting their heads to say a few simple words like "hello", "how are you", "have a great workout" or "have a nice day". How rude is that and at times I just want to walk out because of the constant ignorance from the staff.

In every business, customer service starts at the moment you walk into the establishment. Mother Teresa once said, "Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." So many different people work at the front desk, but kind words don't cost money to speak and you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, and positive words help both the speaker and the person who hears it. You never know what kind of day they are having and it only takes a few words to help their day get better. My goodness, what does it take to stop being so rude?

Another reason I am rating it so low is that I have been hurt in this gym in the last couple of weeks. The first time I was hurt, the staff attended to me, wrote up an incident report but when I asked for ice there was none. In every situation, there should an abundance of ice available no matter how big or small the accident. Just last Sunday, I was hurt again with a racquetball and when I went up front I asked for some ice and the girl says there is none and I asked "why?" She was rude and couldn't give a decent answer and didn't bother to ask me if I was okay. I walked away upset and I think in customer service, you have a unique opportunity to be kind to a variety of people that might be upset or stressed out. By using the right opportunity to speak positive words and phrases into your conversations with everyone can really boost their day.

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Martha Simmons - We appreciate your feedback and thank you for expressing your concerns. Club management is made aware of this issue and there were some unforeseen issues that arose but we are working on an amicable resolution. Again, thank you for your feedback, as we take the necessary steps to correct any deficiencies we may have. Best - Andy F.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

What a shame. Friday December 2, 2016, when I left the gym in the morning the wet sauna was working. I was away from In-Shape for a whole week. As I returned to the gym this morning Monday Dec 12th, guess what, the wet sauna was temporary closed again and a worker was mopping it. He also said it was broken again. Other members told me that on Wednesday Dec 7th, someone had placed a towel where the steam comes out of the pipes inside the wet sauna. He described this person as a ** complected male. Seriously the rules need to be posted in other languages. It is not fair for the ** people to follow rules posted in English when there is no other rules posted for non-English speakers. This is my second complaint to In-Shape Corporate office, I feel that this complaint should be sent again including first letter that was written and sent on November 28, 2016. This makes it the 5th time in 6 months.

As a member of In-Shape located at 285 California St. Woodland, CA, I enjoy my workouts, the classes, pool, wet sauna, hot tub and the staff are very pleasant to be around. My routine has been working out in the mornings, and then returning later in the afternoon, four days a week twice a day. In the five months that my husband and I have been there and have clearly read the rules, I have notice that most of the members do not follow them. I myself had to tell 3 other members not to pour water onto the thermostat in the wet sauna, most of them were Hispanic. I feel if the rules were placed in Spanish and other languages maybe more members would take the time to read them. Also, in these last five months, the Wet Sauna has been closed due to repairs, the first being, to repair the grout, that took about 4 days (meaning wet sauna being closed). The next two times was because of the thermostat being broken. In those times, the wet sauna was closed again for a few days.

On Tuesday Nov, 15, the wet sauna was working that morning and that afternoon when we left. On Wed, 16th, the next day it was temporarily closed, reason ? thermostat again. For the weeks that it was temporary closed, the door was propped open. On Tuesday Nov 22 and Wednesday the 23, during my morning workout, I observed a ** male employee who looked to be the maintenance man walking around the gym with a male child following him. He was going to and from the pool area and into some maintenance closets, absolutely nothing was done with the wet sauna. This is the same man who was there to fix the sauna on the Nov. 28th, in the mid-morning. When we returned in the afternoon the wet sauna was working. The problem there, no one bothered to cleaned it. It smelt of mold, as well the hot tub water was green and it smelt like wet towels and it seems that there is only one worker who takes care of those amenities.

The saunas, pool and hot tub are not closely monitored. There is a male Hispanic man who works out on the exercise machines when we go in the afternoons. He wears black & green clothing, when he is done working out, he comes into the pool area, in his sweaty workout clothes, without showering and gets into the hot tub, then jumps into the pool and then into the wet sauna. He is loud, rude and takes up anyone's else space. He has no respect for elders in the pool. I have seen many other members not following the rules as in wearing street clothes and street shoes into the saunas, using electronics and some even exercise inside of the sauna. I do appreciate this gym, my workouts and its location, although I am not happy with the conditions of the sauna and how it breaks down on a monthly basis. I am not sure if I want to continue my workouts at this gym if this continues to be a problem and not properly taken seriously.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Yyonnie - Thank you for your post. We take all of our reviews serious and would love the opportunity to speak with you further. However, we are unable to locate you in our system. If you will, at your earliest convenience, please email me at memberservices@inshape.com, including your membership/key-card number, telephone number, and the best time to reach you. I look forward to speaking with you soon! Best - Kioti

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

The gym is only cleaned by one mexican guy there at this location. He is very nice. He is always working and doing his job. The women's bathroom shower is always disgusting period. I would never shower there again. The staff stands around and talks entirely too much. The personal trainers have no idea what they are doing. I have observe them all. I would never pay them actual money. That's a joke! Amanda the so-called district manager is very unprofessional. She is never prepare, she doesn't remember people names and she is very rude.The staff never knows where she is located. She also lies to your face. Who hired her? Clearly they need to rethink her being there. Because of her is the main reason why my family is leaving and telling as many people that we can about our experience. The corporate office needs to replace her period.

My family and I will be leaving this horrible gym soon. The perks are laughable. Their spinning wheel is actually just sitting in this one women's office every day all day. The sad thing is she is the worst one from the staff. She looks disgusting every time I see her. She really need to lead by example and use the actual machines. The customer service is just horrible. Why hasn't corporate taken action. By the way my family reach out to corporate. They aren't doing anything about. It's just fine. A new gym by the name of planet fitness is opening up across the street from my home in visalia so the joke is on In-Shape. They are going to be losing a lot of customers so in the end I'm fine with that.

Good afternoon Wanda,

Thank you for contacting In-Shape Health Clubs, and for bringing this to our attention. I have communicated your concerns to the general manager for feedback and follow up. If you have any additional questions of concerns feel free to email me at memberservices@inshape.com. Thank you for being a loyal member -Michael T.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

I enjoy going to my Aqua Zumba class on Saturdays in Victorville, Ca. In-Shape. On two occasions now, when I arrive to class, it has been canceled due to the pool being dirty. They were aware of it the night before. It would have been nice if they had posted on their website, that the pool would be closed, so we wouldn't have had to make that drive. The attitude at the front desk is, "Oh well sorry". Also, the pool in Palmdale, Ca is closed today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about In-Shape Health Clubs?

Hi Alise,

Thank you for expressing your concerns. Our commitment is to our members and their experience, while ensuring a clean, friendly, and well maintained and inviting facility. Please know your pertinent feedback will be elevated to club management to be addressed. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you reconsider re-joining In-Shape in the future. Best, Andy F.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I joined In-Shape gym 1 year ago. Since joining I had many issues with this gym. The staff is very rude. When you sign in they are too busy having personal conversations on a daily basis. I always had to interrupt to get a towel. Most of the time towels were not available. They claimed they were in wash. Another major issue was wandering children. I have seen kids sleep in the lobby with no adult while I assume parents were working out and left children to sit in lobby. Children wander whole gym all the time. It's a day care but it seems they don't go or are supervised properly. I also came in for a friend to get a free pass on several occasions and every time we were asked to wait for over 20 minutes, each time staff was just wandering around not doing anything. On one occasion I came in and the young lady asked my friend if he wanted on my membership. Shouldn't she have been asking me that since I was the member.

I brought it to her attention and she was very snobby and ignored me altogether. All my friend wanted was a pass. The staff is very unprofessional and rude and disrespectful. Male staff always wander in the cardiovascular room and stare at the women from behind. It's very uncomfortable to be stared at sexually when working out. Not okay. The male staff were never cleaning just staring at all the women from behind. It was never any reason for them to be in the room but everyday they are watching TV and staring at women instead of doing their jobs. The shower room is nasty... always towels on floor and broken shower heads. Lockers were broken on several occasions and not fixed as well. The list goes on with complaints about this Tracy gym. It is not worth $60 a month and I don't suggest you attend this gym. It is horrible and people are so rude there.

I would not recommend this gym to anyone. I also had membership issues in the beginning. They kept saying it was a computer glitch and they would put me on the right contract. I requested but that never happened. The staff turn around is constant which is another issue because no one knows what's going on and has to ask someone else. Do not attend this gym. It is a rip off and looks can be deceiving. The pool was broke for weeks at a time and the hot tub... it was always yellow tape around it so it could never be used. Staff kept telling me it would be open soon but that never happened either. When you complain about the conditions you are told Chuck the manager is never available and always in a meeting which I know wasn't true either. I never did meet Chuck if he was even in the building which I doubt.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for reviewing our club. I would like to provide you with a resolution. Please contact me with your first and last name at memberservices@inshape.com. In the subject line, please add Consumer Affairs. Thank you. I look forward to speaking with you soon! Best, Andy F.

Original review: July 24, 2016

Maintenance is not a top priority in this particular establishment whether it's equipment or cleanliness. In the men's shower rooms the silver baskets that hold your trunks or shampoo bottle have not been replaced nor have the soap dispensers been fixed in two of the shower stalls. The appliance that gyrates swimming trunks off their moisture does not work. We're on the third week with this problem.

Hi Katherine,

Original review: June 11, 2016

Epic fail to your members! I have been a member for over 7 years. The cut backs and management changes are a joke. For the price of membership you would think they would have house keeping and clean facilities. In the last 2 months American Canyon and Vallejo clubs have had minimal classes to take! No spin!!! The only instructor with any personality is Jasmine, and she is hardly there anymore. In-Shape you have gotten too greedy and you have forgotten to think of your members. Would caution anyone looking into In-Shape clubs. Look for smaller non corporate gym to go to.

Hi James,

Original review: June 8, 2016

I have noticed over the last 3 years that there is no one cleaning the gym at In-Shape in Concord. In the cardio room the exposed pipes and ceiling fans have about a 1/2 inch of black dust on them. In another room there is black mold on the HVAC pipes. I have asked the manager about cleaning them but nothing is ever done. I thought going to the gym was to get healthy but here at In-Shape in Concord I worry about my health. Can't something be done to force them to clean this mess?

Hi Pat,

Original review: June 6, 2016

I have had a membership with In-Shape through AARP (United Health Care) for approximately 8 years. This year, 20l6, I had been gone for a while due to illness and decided to return. At that time, I signed up for a personal trainer, being assured I could cancel this at any time. After one month, i.e. February 20l6, I decided to cancel. I talked to In-Shape locally and they said I had to talk with Corporate. I attempted to reach them 10 times, always put on hold, the last time being one and one-half hours. So, I forwarded 8 postcards to addresses in Stockton, which were furnished on website. Since then, they have continued billing my account for $82.50 per month. I changed my debit card. Somehow they were able to obtain new card and/or checking account number and have continued billing me. I have emailed them on many occasions, have talked with AARP and am asking an attorney to write a letter on my behalf.

I am asking my account with them for personal training be closed and, in addition, I am asking for a refund for months of Feb, March, April and May 2016, each in amount of $82.50, i.e. $330.00. In addition, if my request is not granted within 10 days from date Attorney wrote letter, I will request a bit more money for elder abuse, stress and now, unfortunately, I will have to leave Union Bank in order to no longer be charged the $82.50 per month. I have been with Union Bank for 30 years. I feel In-Shape is a scam, it has become dirty, and they prey on senior citizens. I had my training from Nicole, who was great. She was aware that I had cancelled the service, so how can they say I had not cancelled and, in addition, said they refused my cancellation. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on you, In-Shape.

Hi Armondo,

Original review: May 19, 2016

Back in February of 2015 I had added my ex-girlfriend to my account. There was some issue with the computer the representative was using and it was giving him a hard time adding her to my account so he had us sit at another desk and helped us get my ex added on my account. Something happened during that desk change and there was a separate account created for her and at the same time she was added to my account. I signed the endorsement request and paid the 25 dollars to add her. I also signed a form showing my new payments of 64 and change a month. I did not notice it at first but I was being charged twice from my account for her. I used to pay 36 for myself. It went up to 64 with her and at the same time I was being charged 64, I was also being charged a separate 36 dollars a month. When I first saw it I went to the local Victorville gym. I was advised it was just a service fee once a year so I didn't think much of it.

I noticed it again after a few months and went back. The rep said he did not see a duplicate transaction on my account and that it could have been the yearly service fee. There was no way they would see the duplicate payment because there was a separate account for her. Months pass and I split with my ex. I go and take her off my account. My payment goes back to 36 but I always get a separate charge of 36 on the exact day of the month. This time I go back a few months on my bank statement and see they have been charging me twice for her even after I took her off. I go back to the Victorville location and submit bank statements. I was advised by the manager that it would get forwarded to corporate for review for a refund. A week passes by so I call for an update. The manager says she still has not heard anything from corporate regarding my refund and to give it a few more days.

I call after a week and still the same answer. I call corporate another week apart and they tell me that no request for a refund was ever requested on my account and never got my copies of the bank statement. The rep I spoke to on the phone advised me to email them to corporate. I email the verifications and give them time to work on it since it was already about closing time for them. 2 days later I call and they say they can't find the email I email to a different rep. I give it a few more days and call back and a rep tells me that my refund is in process and pending approval. I verified my mail was correct so I can get it in time. Turns out they had some issue with verifying the address on file and never called me to let me know.

Then the rep tells me the check might be under my ex's name. I ask why if the account being charged was mine. She says she cannot say for sure it will be under her name or mine but she did notate it on the system to make sure I will get my refund under my name to my address. It's going over 2 months now and they haven't been able to resolve my issue. I would hate to wait for the refund to get here only to find out I can't cash it since it is under her name.

Hi Beverly,

Original review: March 18, 2016

I have been a member of In-Shape for at least 9 years, in Visalia now in Modesto. Now I am a SilverSneakers Member. Received a free few minutes with a trainer, spent time with THEM, shared that I now had osteoporosis so really needed to work out correctly. I was very clear with them that I might work with them a few times but under no circumstance would I sign a contract that locked me into a period of time. They talked and talked and then came to an agreement as to a cost for a session. When they gave me the Papers I again said no time period contract. Of course they assured me that wasn't what I was signing.

Stupid Me. Then when I said I could not afford to do any more sessions I was told to call corporate to cancel. Then told by corporate I could not get out of it. I had signed a contract for a year. All the time these trainers are saying "just let us be your bestfriend and help you". Now I will pay $120.00 to get out of a contract I could not afford in the first place. Shame on you IN-SHAPE.

Hi J,

Original review: March 2, 2016

I am not writing this as a jaded customer... although I should be. Hope this helps someone make a wise decision for themselves - to sign or not to sign on the dotted line. 1 star. Zero stars, actually. I have had a gym membership at other places for the totality of my life and know how it goes. It is easy to get into once you pay or they have your card #, you put up with crap and indifference as a member and then it is expensive and near impossible to get out. In a nutshell. This place takes it to a new level. If I can help just one person to avoid In-Shape, this is worth my time in writing. You will be promised the moon and Sun to join here. Money enters system. You are left in the cold. False promises - child care, nutrition plan, juice bar, perks. Right.

We have been members at an exclusive "Diamond Club" for several months. (2 people) Several months of hell. This club is no longer a Diamond club, it is a Platinum now and we have no recourse via Corporate to have our prices come down at all. No notice, no letter, no nothing of the change. No idea why this happened. That is one thing... We pay over $600 for training sessions each twice a week including our membership. Crazy. Maybe OK if we got what we pay for but no. The personal training sessions have been an on-going nightmare. We are always on time, ready to go. Trainers have not been. Late, no shows, every excuse in the book to reschedule, changing times permanently to fit their lifestyles of eating, working out, homework, their friends and napping.

Being nice and understanding does not help in this situation. It just breeds frustration. I am missing sessions, management cares about nothing except getting your money and Corporate has a bunch of trained expressions they feed you geared to make you go away. We joined to have our goals met and it is hard when we cannot even train when scheduled. This is the era of the entitled 20 year olds running things? I cannot wait to try and burn through my remaining training sessions and be done with this place. If feels like an Underworld going on here... just like organized crime. Legal robbery. We feel so ripped off and I would tell anyone to steer clear. Staff walks around working out, deflecting members' complaints with excuses and being on their cell phones.

I could write 8 pages on everything we have been through here but this would just be too long of a review. Just be aware of other issues other than rip off-syndrome such as bacterial infections where members reportedly required medical treatment from the gym towels and hot tub. I am praying we can get out of this at the end clean and somewhat unscathed. Will cancel the card with the bank just to be sure! Watch your online banking and credit card statements for extra charges you have not authorized!

Hi Shawn,

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I joined In-Shape Health Club in Tracy, CA July 2015. First thing I did not authorize auto payment. I told the salesperson I wanted to pay by check monthly. She agreed to my terms. Then I noticed the withdrawals were being made automatically. They even accepted a check payment from my first month after joining! After a while I found that the club was terribly managed and ran by teenagers! Children in the pool without parent supervision all the time! I was told I could change the contract any time or cancel.

I called corporate to downgrade my contract and they said they would charge a $79 fee for changing the contract. I asked to waive the fee since I was a member and was willing to stay one. They denied my request. So I asked if there was a fee to cancel. They said no. So I canceled my contract. They didn't even try to keep me by making me an offer. Terrible business people. Highly recommend you look elsewhere for health and fitness training facility. Do not join In-Shape Health Clubs.

Hi Luisa M.,

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

On August 2015, I joined the club on a monthly basis because I had the possibility to leave town (which I did for 3 months) as told Jeff membership manager. He advised me to take my free session with the private trainer; he showed me the machines for 1/2 hour and back to his office where he kept his sales speech. I kept telling him several times that I ONLY needed for around 6 or so. He started to get some paper out to sign for me which I did TRUSTING HIM AS A MEMBER OF THE CLUB. He NEVER EVER mentioned months or when I asked him cancellation he said: "just come to me and we cancel it at any time." Next day I found out the the #9 was not sessions as I thought, were MONTHS which he NEVER mentioned. What a 'SNEAKY/DISHONEST ' tactics. I just called the club and no 'APOLOGY' at all. Costed me the 20% fee of the total. $160.00 SHAME ON THEM!!!

Hi Jamel,

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

My daughter who is fresh out of high school went in and thought she was only getting a month to month membership. Was fooled. The salesman knew he had a young inexperience girl advantage of her and took advantage of her. We are talking about the In-Shape visalia off goshen and demaree. Also when I call the girl at the desk was very rude and didn't care.

Hi Brad,

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

Warning! Don't sign up with this gym. Their sales staff will make you promises that the company won't honor. They are the most expensive in Bakersfield and they will rip you off! They are quick to take your money and I'm still waiting on a refund after canceling several weeks ago. Facts: I paid several hundred dollars to get started using a trainer. After a few sessions they stopped allowing a trainer claiming that even though the money was taken out of my bank account (that same day) that they would not allow me to continue using the training service I paid for because of issues on their end, so I canceled on the 15th of last month.

They have had every excuse in the world not to refund. (1) It takes them two weeks to even issue a check. (Why not electronic deposit it back directly in the same account they immediately withdrew it from?) (2) I was told a check was mailed on the October 2nd, (7 days ago) and I still have not received the check. I just contacted them and was told by (Vanessa) that she does not work for the post office and I wasn't allowed to speak with management directly. She said my only option was to wait two more weeks from next Tuesday (Oct 13th) and she will submit another request for a check that will take another two weeks to get approved. (They must really be hurting for money!) Go anywhere else but this gym or you will regret it!

Hi C,

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

I have been a member unfortunately for eight months now at the Manteca location. This place is a joke. The woman's locker is dirty. The pool always has loud obnoxious kids whose parents aren't even in the pool with them. When I wanted to sign up for the child care center they wanted a $49 service charge. I can't wait till my membership ends. This place rips people off and only care about money in their pockets.

Good afternoon Sarah,

Thank you for reviewing our club. I would like to provide you with a resolution. Please contact me with your first and last name at memberservices@inshape.com. In the subject line, please add Consumer Affairs. Thank you. I look forward to speaking with you soon! Best, Michael T.

Original review: July 13, 2015

In-Shape in Lompoc, nice place. The membership options were presented in handwriting to me. During this meeting, I had to write these options down in a legible contract format. Also, the contract conditions and the cancellation fees were not presented at all. Looking online, In-Shape's cancellation policy is costly! Also, can they legally re-process credit card payments using their expiration date update program? In-Shape can still charge even when their facility is down. And In-Shape makes the cancellation decision if you move, not you. Yuck. I hope people review the cancellation policy and note the non-standard membership dues when considering membership.

Good afternoon Pamela,

Original review: June 5, 2015

BEWARE! I have chronic back problems and I have had several back and neck surgeries. I've been in the recuperating stage for several years as well as on pain management and in the midst of things I have gain lots of weight. I was tired of the weight gain and pain, so I thought I would check IN-SHAPE out. I explain to them my health conditions and told them I wanted to try things out to see if my body can take the workout. I also ask if I could speak to someone who is an expert to assist me, so I would know what types of exercise or equipment that could help or hurt me. Someone who could guide me correctly during my trial period. I was informed by several employees (manager, trainer, and other staff members) that there was no problem and I can cancel anytime and they understood the conditions and was aware that my health might not allow me to participate and yet reassured me several times I could cancel.

I signed up on 4/28 and started on 5/6 and canceled on 5/18 and I was told it will be canceled. However on 6/2/15 IN-SHAPE took out of my account $70.00, $41.99, plus I was charged overdraft in the amount of $34.99, which I wasn't expecting them to take anything out of my account that I canceled and I only had enough to pay my bill. I went to the gym and talked to the manager and explain that money was taken out of my account and I was told they will take care of it. I also spoke to the corporate office, supposedly the owner and still nothing happened. I explain to these people my medical condition and also that I was not aware that I was signing a contract. They told me the paperwork was so they can keep up the potential customers and can keep count. If they had told me it was a contract then I would have explain to them that I can't sign contracts, that I have a disability. BEWARE!

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Saundra - Thank you for your feedback. I show your membership was rectified and you are a frequent at our clubs. If you have any additional questions of concerns feel free to email me at memberservices@inshape.com. Thank you for being a loyal member. Best - Andy F.

Original review: June 2, 2015

I was told I would owe 56 per month. When the amount was taken from my account (mandatory) it was 61.99. I'm quite upset and will call corporate in the morning. In-Shape is the only game in town here in Tracy as well.

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Kenneth Marcotte - Thank you for post and for bringing this to our attention. I have communicated your concerns to the general manager for feedback and follow up. If you have any additional questions of concerns feel free to email me at memberservices@inshape.com. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you reconsider re-joining In-Shape in the future. Best - Andy F.

Original review: June 1, 2015

When I signed up I was told there would be a pool and tennis lessons and there is neither and they never told me I was singing a 12 month contract!

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Deborah - Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We value you as a member, and we value your opinion of us as a company. We currently have 3 locations in the Merced area and wanted to take some extra time and recognize your efforts in living a healthy lifestyle utilizing our clubs. I recognize that you have choices in where you exercise, and I appreciate that you have chosen In-Shape. Not only have you chosen In-Shape, but you have been a loyal member of our family for more than 6 years, choosing to stay with us after In-Shape acquired your original gym. You visit your club consistently which demonstrates your quest for fitness and longevity. We thank you for being our loyal member as we take the necessary steps to correct any deficiencies in our service. Best - Andy F.

Original review: April 29, 2015

Merced only has In-Shape. The company bought all the gyms. We hoped for improvement. Immediately the indoor pool closed like 8 months. They never updated or told members why, when or who... just moved us in the cold, to outdoor pool... said "Hey, drive to Atwater 15 min away if you want indoor pool." Ridiculous behaviour. The girl at desk... most are clueless. They never update classes on site. We show up for water aerobics and end up with someone who couldn't teach a water aerobic class if her life depended on it. Like really? You want her to represent In-Shape? We ask that the pool be at 82 as contract states, we do well to get 75 once in awhile. The pool could have ice cubes, they'd tell you it's 82 or whatever degree you tell them it should be... Maybe the pool is calibrated 10 degrees minus? You complain it is colder. It's indoors. How hard can it be? Some of us only use the pool.

I do not appreciate being called sweetie or honey either... How rude... Get some customer service training. Staff always feel empowered to be rude. Ask to talk

General Manager, she blows you off... Must be nice to feel no consequences to your actions. People complain constantly, but since they are a monopoly we put up with it. Most using pool do so for health issues. It would be nice to feel confident it will be warm, and clean for classes. Instead razors are found, hairballs floating for days until one of us ask "Please" to have someone clean pool. Jacuzzi has crap on sides of wall... come on... There are toe nail clipping in pool area for a whole week until one person asked for a broom and dust pan.

Ok, so you are forewarned... Join knowing they don't give a **. The instructors are great, excluding sub... but In-Shape requires instructors to find their own sub with no quality control. What can I say? I'm surprised they haven't had a class action suit. Post temperature on digital thermometer for all to see... yeah right.

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Diiane - Thank so much for your post. I you were able to cancel your membership to your satisfaction and I will elevated your desire to have Jiu Jitsu classes. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you reconsider re-joining In-Shape in the future. Best - Andy F.

Original review: March 5, 2015

I told that IN SHAPE was going to have Jiu jitsu classes and cross fit in December of 2013 by a person named **. She is the one who I signed the IN SHAPE contract. They still don’t have the classes and I’m stuck in the contract until December 2016. Why are they doing sales pitches if they can't honor what they tell clients? Also when you’re working out the personal trainers are hovering around like vultures trying to drum up business. I quit going because I don’t like being approached and pressured by the personal trainers. I’m stuck with the expense and waiting for the contract to expire.

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Robin - Thank you for expressing your concerns. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you and I show your refund was issued. Thank you again for taking time to bring this to our attention and we hope you reconsider re-joining In-Shape in the future. Best - Andy F.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

Palmdale West location: I received an email for a free trainer session & I thought what the heck, I have a bad back. Maybe they can show me how to be careful. So of course after the session I sat down with the trainer and his manager (Josh). Josh kept pushing personal training on me. I told him I needed to talk to my husband first and I'd let him know the next day. He talked me into at least filling the paperwork out. Not even 2 hours later I called him and told him my husband didn't think it was a good idea to spend $269 a month and I wasn't going to do it (especially at the time it was November… holidays coming up).

Shame on me for filling out any paperwork in the first place because even though Josh assured me he'd wait several days later I receive a notification from my bank that I'm overdrawn. So I called Josh immediately and he told me “Oh no problem. It will take 7-10 business days and it will be taken care of & you will be fully refunded.” That was Nov. 26th 2014.

On Dec 22nd I received a partial reimbursement for $169.00 and to this day (1/27/15), I am STILL calling regularly to find out where the remainder of my money is. I've spoken not only to Josh SEVERAL times but to the manager Mike ** SEVERAL times and every time I get the "Ok we'll look into it and call you back" and I NEVER have received a call from them. Their customer service is horrible & they are ripping people off left and right. This company should be ashamed!!

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Zareatha - Thank you for your post. We appreciate your time spent to provide us with your feedback and experience. We are happy to see that your billing issues was resolved. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you reconsider re-joining In-Shape in the future. Best - Andy F.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

I'm making a complaint against In-Shape because when I signed up with them I didn't have my credit card info. with me so they told me that it was okay to have my fees taken out of my daughter's account until I change it over. So now I go down to have them stop taking payments out of my daughter account, I bring in the information they ask for which is my account and routing number, they gave me a form to fill out, I did all of that. So the following month they went back into my daughter's account and tried to get payment for my dues, which made her bank account overdrawn by 38 dollars. Then they went again, made it overdrawn again. Went back the third time, got payment. A few weeks later went back into her account and tried to get the yearly fee and same thing again, overdrawn her account. This is not right. They have no business going in her account trying to get my payments because I did everything they asked for to get off her account. And when I go in to talk to someone they act like they're doing something about it but don't.

My husband and I live in North Carolina. On 12/14/2014 we notice a $500.00 credit card charge by in-shape health, Brentwood, CA. What the **? We never even heard of this place. Can't figure how they got my info.

I was told when I signed up for In Shape fitness that I would only pay monthly and if I did not pay I would be automatically canceled. They also assured me that before any payments made through my credit card, they would inform me for charges. I trusted them. What an idiot I was. I only used the membership for one month. They kept billing me. I canceled my credit card. Now I get notices after 4 months that the charges have accrued and need to pay 200 to cancel. Otherwise they will take it to collections. They are crooks. Their policy is to get your credit card information right away so they can keep billing you. Now they want me to send them a registered letter to cancel and that take 30 days after they receive it. I cannot believe this. I am very pissed off with the setup of them. I tried to call but they said their service is down. I see them opening centers all over. Now I see how they're doing it. If you join make sure you read the contract really good. Don't listen to the personnel. They will tell you anything to get your card number. I know when I signed up with them. I did not receive anything saying they would be billing me monthly without my consent.

I had complained several times to management about the unclean pool and Jacuzzi i.e. murky water, floating brown stuff and black scum around the Jacuzzi. After two weeks of water workouts I developed Mastitis in my left breast which is a bacteria that entered into my nipple along with Tinea Corpris- Fungi (ringworm) caused by pool surfaces. After 10 days of medication, a very painful breast and high temperatures, I recovered. Management will not return my phone calls or emails to compensate me for my medical bills, pain and suffering. I have no choice but to contact my lawyer. I highly suggest that everyone stays out of the water.

I have only been a member since August 2015. Someone (another female member most likely) went into my locker in the women's locker room, took my DL & car keys, then stole my car on Thursday night 10/2/14. I feel completely stupid for leaving the locker unlocked after I took another towel out. The staff did nothing; didn't ask anyone if they saw anything, didn't check the locker room, didn't look around outside with me (8pm) and most importantly, have not reviewed the security camera footage even now. They just gave me an Incident report to complete and said the manager would call in the morning. No one ever called!

The Vallejo PD came right away but none of the staff could show him the video; said only a manager could do that. The next morning, Friday I finally got a District Manager from the Lincoln rd facility to agree to go there & review the video. Hours later he said, "I'll have to get my IT person in here, I can't get the video to run". I am really disappointed they are not showing any willingness to cooperate & help with this, I really hope the police will get the video from them. I would think the staff would be eager to review this video, unless they are covering for someone. I don't want to attend a facility with criminals. I will certainly miss the Cycling group.

In-Shape Health Clubs Company Profile