Call now
4.36/5
Based on 140 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call now

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

In-Shape Health Clubs is ranked one of the top 20 health club companies in the United States and owns and operates 69 locations in California. Founded in 1981 with one club and a vision for helping people stay healthy and have fun, the company has experienced strong, consistent growth that has exceeded expectations.

Stop by any one of our locations and you will experience state-of-the-art equipment and programs for men, women, and children. Let one of our professional and courteous employees show you the many amenities that will meet your family's health needs. There is no need to look further - you have found your home for an “In-Shape Lifestyle.”

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

205 In-Shape Health Clubs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I am a new member at the Cathedral City locations. I had been studying on problems with pool urination and the health effects in heavily used pools and spas. New studies from 2014 to 2017 say over 64 percent of swimmers admit to urinating in pools and that it is not true that chlorine kills the bacteria or effects of the urine. In fact, urine mixed with chlorine creates two distinct chemicals known not only to cause bladder cancer, but can cause chronic problems to the lungs and heart from breathing the air the combination creates. There are some remedies for removing urine or breaking it down right away. I called the manager of my In-Shape facility in Cathedral City and he had no answer for this issue. Yet it is one of great health concern. My doctors say I should use aquatic exercise to rehab my knee and a torn rotator cuff but I am now very concerned about this. I know swimmers there continually pee in the pool and spa.

You can smell the uric acid it creates and in the smaller jacuzzi, I hate to say this, but I accidentally swallowed some of the water and could taste it so much that I thought at first it was salt water. My question is, "What are you doing to address this filthy issue". I saw one lady pee in the pool as she stood next to me. The color...even in water...was obvious as she did so. The manager said they use a company called Eco Labs to handle their pool services. I checked them Online but could find nothing that would address this somewhat gross issue that most people do not like thinking about. Many assume chlorine kills the effects of urine. It does not. But mixed with urine creates very dangerous chemicals. Please tell me what makes it safe to swim in your pools or use your jacuzzi after reading this. Thank you. Your club... other than this concern... is outstanding. Great staff, clean... Thus the 4 star rating. Thank you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

When I came to In-Shape (Carmel) I had never been to a gym before. Everyone was nice to me, got me signed up and headed in the right direction. Ashley ** became my trainer and I couldn't be more pleased. Now if I don't work out I don't feel normal.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Modesto McHenry North - I love this club, the staff, the instructors, the equipment are all top notch. It’s usually very clean. However for the past month there has been water in the floor in the group exercise room. When we came in for Zumba today there were about 12 paper towels on wet spots all over the floor. We had one guy slip and ended up leaving early and another girl slipped and fell. Luckily she seemed okay. But someone could get seriously hurt with water all over the floor.

We told the person at the desk and he said he would let housekeeping know. I told him that was fine for a temporary fix but something needs to be done to fix the leaky roof. It’s been leaking for more than a month. We pay our monthly membership expecting a safe place to workout. Right now this isn’t a safe place with water all over the floor. On a positive note, you have some great instructors. I take Zumba from Beth, Heather, Eva and Silvia. They all are excellent and represent In Shape very well.

Good afternoon Bob Taylor,

Thank you for being a loyal member and for bringing this to our attention. Our member's safety is our top priority and we have communicated your feedback to our Management Team to ensure this is addressed in a timely manner. Wishing you the best of health! -Michael T.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

El Dorado - Friendly staff and clean facilities. Equipment is well maintained and in good working order. Any equipment with issues is immediately repaired. Only complaint is no handicap doors in the facility.

Good afternoon Diane Shoff,

Thank you for the five star review and for sharing your positive experience. We truly value your feedback and will communicate your club concerns to be reviewed and address. Wishing you the best of health! -Michael T.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Turlock Geer Rd - Overall I'm satisfied with the level of service with the exception of the housekeeping and sanitation. The men's locker room is filthy when I come in at 5 am. The same is true of the steam room. I suspect the club would recited by the health dept if they saw the conditions. That said, the equipment is well maintained and the front desk staff are excellent.

Good morning Kimball Higgs,

Thank you for being a loyal member and for taking the time to review our club. We truly appreciate your feedback and will ensure this is addressed to your satisfaction. If you have any additional questions or concerns please email me directly at memberservices@inshape.com. Have a good day! -Michael Trejo

How do I know I can trust these reviews about In-Shape Health Clubs?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I was lucky enough to move into my new home that was only a mile and a half away from the Antioch In Shape location. This was a heaven sent, considering that I knew no one in the area and had nothing to do besides work. I join the club 6 weeks ago and I've been very happy with my decision ever since. I'm very blessed for everything is giving me.

Good afternoon Jen Moran,

We are happy to hear that your enjoying your membership. This is a great location and our staff will be excited to hear about your review and five star rating. We hope to see you soon! -Michael T.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

My husband made reservations for an indoor tennis court for Sunday Dec. 17. The reservation time given was 7:30 pm, with no mention of when the club closes. At 8 pm an employee came to the courts and demanded we leave as the club was closing at 8 pm and it would be hard to see the tennis balls after he turns out the lights. As we left the Stockton West Lane club there was a large group of handball players that were obviously not leaving at "closing". My first time at this location and I am very disappointed in the management and professionalism of the staff. Reservations should not be given with only 30 minutes remaining, or without a warning of the short time available on the court and better customer service is in order.

Good morning Thelma Sass,

Thank you for taking the time to review our club and for bringing this to our attention. We expect our staff to be professional at all times, while providing a memorable experience and will be sure to review this incident. I have personally communicated your feedback to our team to ensure this is addressed with our staff in a timely manner. If you have any additional questions or concerns please email me directly at memberservices@inshape.com. I am here for you! -Michael T.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

My husband and I could not be happier to be a part of In Shape (Manteca). The classes we've attended since October have been great. The friendly atmosphere and the clean environment says it all - EXCELLENT. We look forward to every visit several times a week. We also have a personal trainer that we see weekly - who kicks our butt - but in a positive way. At our age - 65 and 69 we are thankful for the In Shape staff and facility through and through.

Good morning Sharolyn LeVake Coldren,

Thank you for taking the time to review our club and for the 5-Star rating. We are happy to hear that you and your husband are enjoying your membership and our Group Fitness. Keep up the good work! -Michael T.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Yuba City - I like the facility. I wish people would leave the 2.5 & 5 pounds weights on the machines alone. More spray bottles with drier towels would help. I'm not sure if the upper management is aware but, the roof over the inside pool leaks during rainstorms. The problem with people cutting locks on the lockers and the taking of people's personal property need to stop.

Good afternoon Kenny Mitchell,

Thank you for taking the time to review our club and for bringing this to our attention. I have personally communicated your feedback and club concerns to be addressed. We do our best to make the necessary changes and improvements to accommodate our guest. Wishing you the best of health! Michael T.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I like the teachers and staff - I go to classes often. I like the cleanliness in Carmel. FYI the Monterey location is very dirty and I have mentioned it to the managers. One of my friends may quit In Shape (Monterey) because it is so filthy - if you want me to send pics this next week I can. Just let me know who to send them to. I also go to Cathedral City location and it is wonderful — super clean!!!

Good morning Mary Hennessy,

Thank you for taking the time to review our club and for bringing this to our attention. We are happy to hear that your enjoying your membership and will be sure to communicate your club concerns to be addressed. Please email me directly at memberservices@inshape.com if you have any additional questions. Have a good day! -Michael T.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Modesto McHenry North - I enjoy the classes. My only complaint is that I am waiting for my first training since joining the club. Have talked to the trainer to setup time/day. Seems like no one can accommodate a time/day to do this. Still waiting for a call back.

Good morning Stephanie Harmon,

We truly appreciate your feedback and we're happy to hear that your enjoying our Group Fitness. We have communicated your contact information to your local Fitness Manager to ensure you are contacted regarding your Fit Start session. Wishing you the best of health! -Michael Trejo

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Victorville North - I am a member, and I arrive every morning between 4-5 except on weekends. Reika (I think that is the way to spell her name) is always pleasant, greets you with a smile and a good morning. It is a pleasure to see her every morning!!

Good afternoon Dr. Precious Taylor,

We are grateful for your 5-star rating and excited to hear about the level of service provided by our staff. Our member's happiness is our top priority and it's rewarding to hear such positive feedback. Wishing you the best of health! -Michael.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I called support center because I was having issues with one of the employees not letting me enter the In-Shape in Manteca at 1805 Yosemite. The employee who says he was a manager has in the past given my sister and I problems with entering this In-Shape when we were allowed to enter many times before. He said we were not allowed in and that I had to call the support center. I called and Maynel ** was very helpful. She figured everything out quickly and got me back in to the gym. Great customer service from Maynel at the support center but horrible customer service from the employee at the front desk.

Hello Neil,

Thank you for your amazing 5 star review, we truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear Maynel was able to address your issues and have notified management so she can be recognized appropriately. We have also elevated your club concerns to management to be addressed. Thank you for your membership! Best Gabriela M.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Palmdale West is failing to enforce their own Rules & Regulations specifically in regards to code of conduct rule number 7 "Do not drop weights" as posted on the wall, online, and in the Rules & Regulations document signed by all members. I have continually been filing complaints online and in person regarding the health and safety issues, staff apathy, lack of enforcement and attention, and overall negligence in providing proper equipment and concern for the activities occurring in the gym.

This problem has been ongoing for quite some time, resulting in my inability to use facilities in spite of my pre-paid membership. My hearing and health has been negatively affected due to the amount of weight slamming that occurs every time I'm at the facility. My complaints fall on deaf ears and having filed multiple complaints, I would expect that management and all staff would be highly engaged in their obligation as the contract states enforcement of, " these Rules lies primarily in the hands of the ISHC Club Management whose principal responsibility is to assure members of all the courtesies, comforts and services that we provide."

Hello Dan,

I attempted to reach you by phone and left you a message with my contact information. Please contact me back at your earliest convenience for a quick resolution. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Stockton March Lane - Monique at Corporate was very helpful in helping me after my husband's death closing his account on which I had had membership as spouse and opening one under my name. She took into account that we had been members since 1988 and did not charge an enrollment fee. She returned my calls and was always polite. Leon, too, was polite and executed the new membership efficiently.

Hello Carol,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience and for the five-star review. We strive to provide excellent service and are happy to hear Monique was able to get your concerns resolved. We thank you for your loyalty and long time membership. We also wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I just want to say Agent: Czerina ** is the best. She met my needs! Other agents I spoke to would not work with me. But she did what she could to make comfortable. Because of her I will continue my membership with In-Shape (Cathedral City). Her customer service is outstanding and she deserves a raise!

Good afternoon Julia Weems,

Welcome to In-Shape and thank you for your five-star review. We are happy to hear that you were provided with a resolution to your satisfaction, and appreciate you sharing the level of services provided by Czerina. We hope to see you soon! -Michael T.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I spoke with customer service Monique **, she was very professional and courteous. She helped me to understand my membership and made sure that I was aware of the promotions that working out could offer.

Good afternoon Deitra Jones,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience and for the five-star review. We take pride in knowing our member's are happy and that you're enjoying your membership and club amenities. Have an In-Shape Day! -Michael T.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I made a phone call earlier to corporate. My customer supporter Czerina I believe... helped me 100% and completely satisfied me as member on In-Shape. I’m am very pleased to have been helped with her today. You need more representatives like her on your staff! Thank you very much!!!

Good afternoon Bruce,

We are excited to hear about the level of service provided by Czerina and we are grateful for your five-star review. Our member's happiness is our top priority and we do our best to ensure our staff is providing a memorable experience that exceeds your expectations. We hope to see you soon! -Michael T.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Vallejo Lincoln Rd - There is always equipment left out, especially in the front area. Even the personal trainers will leave the equipment they used with clients out. Also, the personal training sessions are far too short to get any real work done. If half the time is spent discussing nutrition/workouts throughout the week and the other half working out, then there is only 15 minutes or less to get work in. Another thing is that the women's locker room always smells of urine to the left when you walk in.

Hello Ashley,

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

THIS GYM IS THE BEST! They have just about every piece of equipment under the Sun for a full body workout including ropes, platforms & kettle balls (sans a monster truck tire:). They even have an aerobic/dance room with 180 degrees of mirrors & dimmable lights (for us early birds:). Also, the hydromassage beds w/ the VIP upgrade is a big plus for a runner like me. And probably the biggest tell-tale, in my opinion, of a professionally ran fitness business is: *equipment downtime*. I've been here for over a year now and have rarely ever, seen a machine down. If it was, it was usually up and running again in a matter of days (not weeks, like some other places)! My only gripe (ok, maybe a few) to make things even better? Put some wall mounted pull-up bars in, bring in a monster truck tire (or two) & *please*, change that puke yellow wall color! Please??? Other than that, rock on y'all. Keep up the good work!

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the awesome 5 star review, we truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy and love our facility. We love that you enjoy all aspects of the club and I have also elevated your suggestions. Thank you again we wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Everyone treated me with respect and understanding and were very pleasant. I appreciate the month to month membership. When it became necessary for me to drop my membership, it was an easy process. They answered all my questions in a pleasant manner. I will recommend this facility.

Hello Kathy,

Thank you for your review and feedback, we truly appreciate at it. We are happy to hear about your awesome experiences with our staff. We thank you again and wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

In-Shape on S. Tracy Blvd is a great gym. They are all very friendly, have a ton of equipment, and despite the parking lot always looking full, there is always ample equipment to use. I enjoy coming here, and would definitely recommend this gym to anyone.

Hello Cory,

Thank you for the 5-star review! We appreciate you sharing your feedback and experience. We hope you continue to enjoy the club and its amenities. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I really enjoy my work out experience at In-Shape Capitola, CA. They have everything I need to meet my goals except for a seated calf machine, which I've put in a request for. Otherwise, a very nice facility with all the extras like a trainers, aerobic classes, a pool, lap pool, ice tub, sauna, if you need those things. And the showers and locker area are clean.

I would have given In-Shape Capitola 5 stars but for the complacent staff. 9 out of 10 times they won't even acknowledge you when you walk in or see them around the gym. They aren't rude, but not friendly either. A nice greeting when you walk in the door would make all the difference. Besides that, it's affordable and generally well equipped for all of your fitness needs.

Hello Robert,

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I love our Monterey In-Shape. It's a great place to go. Staff are wonderful, especially Rocky, RJ and Susanne. Always helpful and do everything they can to make your experience a good one. Kudos to you!! Keep up the great work!

Hello Linda,

Thank you for the 5 star review, we really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We love when our staff is recognized for the amazing job they do. We have elevated your feedback to their management so they can be recognized appropriately. We wish you nothing but success in your fitness and health journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

We love the In-Shape Health Club in El Dorado, CA. We think it is the most complete fitness center we have ever been members! The staff is very friendly and helpful! They are almost like family! We are VIP members and we enjoy all of the amenities! Best fitness center ever!

Hello Lauran,

Thank you for the amazing 5 star review, we truly appreciate you for taking the time to give us y our feedback. We strive to provide amazing facilities and love knowing we are dong things right. We thank you again and wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I use Prescott In-Shape. I swim laps 3 x week & soak in the therapy pool. I especially like the therapy pool because it's not boiling hot which allows me to stay longer for my aching joints. The swimming pool (122 ft) is a great length for laps. There are a few minor issues that need to be addressed. A railing along the wall from the women's changing room to pool area would be helpful as the flooring is slippery. And the walkway around the pool is slippery when wet. These need attention. Otherwise a great facility & friendly staff.

Hello Christine,

Thank you for your 4 star review, we really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoy the pool we definitely want to encourage you to explore other aspects of your club, like our classes. We truly value our members your feedback, I have elevated your suggestions. Thank you again and we do wish you the best in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Modesto Floyd Location: I’ve not attended like my “norm” all year due to some personal factors & hoping to get back real soon. However being a member with InShape for many years I’ve never been disappointed. Staff’s always professional, friendly and helpful.

Hello Ronnie,

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy the facility and thank you for your loyalty. We hope to see you back soon and more often when you can. We wish you nothing but the best in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I spoke with Darla in the Personal Trainer Customer Service Department (Hanford). She was extremely helpful with my questions and making a decision about my account. I was very happy with the outcome of our conversation.

Hello Cheryl,

Thank you for your 5 star review, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear about your pleasant experience with Darla and glad all your concerns were addressed. We thank you again and wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness goals! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I was very please to learn many things from trainer at Palmdale East since I am 69 years old with many old age health issues and added to that I am caregiver for my husband. I need more energy and strength along with don't fall policy I have hear from my doctors. I was very happy to be there once a week and I would like to get back if I can as soon as my husband get better. Thank God my son is doing very well there and building so much for himself. He can help me while when he is home to pick my husband (6'2") up when he fell to the floor couldn't get up himself. Otherwise I just pull him to the where he can reach (sink or cabinet) to pull himself up. I am 5 feet. There are no way otherwise I will be hurt. Anyway, I have to say Thank you so much for help you guys given me. Because of that I will be back.

Hello Keiko,

Thank you for the 5 star review we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear your enjoying your personal training and see the benefit it has. We wish you both the best of health and hope to see you soon. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Sharnae, Josh, Tresa, Gabriel, Michelle, I like to give a special thanks to all the Victorville North staff. For always greeting you with a smile on their face with a hello and have a good work out that means a lot. For keeping the facility clean, always there when you need something, they should be called the A-Team.

Hello Gary,

Thank you for the amazing 5 star review. We truly appropriate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We love when our member recognize our staff for the amazing job they do. I have notified our management so they can be recognized accordingly. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey! Best, Gabriela M.

In-Shape Health Clubs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The first In-Shape Health Club opened in 1981 in Stockton, California. The chain of fitness facilities now includes more than 70 other locations throughout California. The company prides itself on creating a community where people can exercise and work towards a healthier lifestyle.

• Classes: In-Shape clubs offer an extensive variety of group fitness classes to help members get in shape and build a community. Classes include aerobics, yoga, strength training, martial arts and more.

• 29-Minute Circuit®: Many In-Shape locations have 29-Minute Circuit® studios which include 13 stations. Members proceed through the stations to get both a cardio workout and resistance training.

• Special offers: New clients can look for seasonal discounts on the In-Shape website. Offers may include free enrollment, discounted membership, deals on personal training or other free or discounted services.

• Personal training: In-Shape offers personal training for clients looking for one-on-one fitness training and advice. New clients can sign up for a free personal training session through the FitStart Program.

• Free childcare: Members who put their children on their membership can use In-Shape’s free childcare for up to two hours when the parent or guardian is using the In-Shape facilities. Free childcare is available for children between six months and 12 years old.

• Best for: California athletes, beginners and anyone interested in a healthy lifestyle.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.inshapeclubs.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use