4.35/5
  • 1 star
Based on 130 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

In-Shape Health Clubs is ranked one of the top 20 health club companies in the United States and owns and operates 69 locations in California. Founded in 1981 with one club and a vision for helping people stay healthy and have fun, the company has experienced strong, consistent growth that has exceeded expectations.

Stop by any one of our locations and you will experience state-of-the-art equipment and programs for men, women, and children. Let one of our professional and courteous employees show you the many amenities that will meet your family's health needs. There is no need to look further - you have found your home for an “In-Shape Lifestyle.”

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

193 In-Shape Health Clubs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I called support center because I was having issues with one of the employees not letting me enter the In-Shape in Manteca at 1805 Yosemite. The employee who says he was a manager has in the past given my sister and I problems with entering this In-Shape when we were allowed to enter many times before. He said we were not allowed in and that I had to call the support center. I called and Maynel ** was very helpful. She figured everything out quickly and got me back in to the gym. Great customer service from Maynel at the support center but horrible customer service from the employee at the front desk.

Hello Neil,

Thank you for your amazing 5 star review, we truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear Maynel was able to address your issues and have notified management so she can be recognized appropriately. We have also elevated your club concerns to management to be addressed. Thank you for your membership! Best Gabriela M.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Palmdale West is failing to enforce their own Rules & Regulations specifically in regards to code of conduct rule number 7 "Do not drop weights" as posted on the wall, online, and in the Rules & Regulations document signed by all members. I have continually been filing complaints online and in person regarding the health and safety issues, staff apathy, lack of enforcement and attention, and overall negligence in providing proper equipment and concern for the activities occurring in the gym.

This problem has been ongoing for quite some time, resulting in my inability to use facilities in spite of my pre-paid membership. My hearing and health has been negatively affected due to the amount of weight slamming that occurs every time I'm at the facility. My complaints fall on deaf ears and having filed multiple complaints, I would expect that management and all staff would be highly engaged in their obligation as the contract states enforcement of, " these Rules lies primarily in the hands of the ISHC Club Management whose principal responsibility is to assure members of all the courtesies, comforts and services that we provide."

Hello Dan,

I attempted to reach you by phone and left you a message with my contact information. Please contact me back at your earliest convenience for a quick resolution. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Stockton March Lane - Monique at Corporate was very helpful in helping me after my husband's death closing his account on which I had had membership as spouse and opening one under my name. She took into account that we had been members since 1988 and did not charge an enrollment fee. She returned my calls and was always polite. Leon, too, was polite and executed the new membership efficiently.

Hello Carol,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience and for the five-star review. We strive to provide excellent service and are happy to hear Monique was able to get your concerns resolved. We thank you for your loyalty and long time membership. We also wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I just want to say Agent: Czerina ** is the best. She met my needs! Other agents I spoke to would not work with me. But she did what she could to make comfortable. Because of her I will continue my membership with In-Shape (Cathedral City). Her customer service is outstanding and she deserves a raise!

Good afternoon Julia Weems,

Welcome to In-Shape and thank you for your five-star review. We are happy to hear that you were provided with a resolution to your satisfaction, and appreciate you sharing the level of services provided by Czerina. We hope to see you soon! -Michael T.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I spoke with customer service Monique **, she was very professional and courteous. She helped me to understand my membership and made sure that I was aware of the promotions that working out could offer.

Good afternoon Deitra Jones,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience and for the five-star review. We take pride in knowing our member's are happy and that you're enjoying your membership and club amenities. Have an In-Shape Day! -Michael T.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about In-Shape Health Clubs?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I made a phone call earlier to corporate. My customer supporter Czerina I believe... helped me 100% and completely satisfied me as member on In-Shape. I’m am very pleased to have been helped with her today. You need more representatives like her on your staff! Thank you very much!!!

Good afternoon Bruce,

We are excited to hear about the level of service provided by Czerina and we are grateful for your five-star review. Our member's happiness is our top priority and we do our best to ensure our staff is providing a memorable experience that exceeds your expectations. We hope to see you soon! -Michael T.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Vallejo Lincoln Rd - There is always equipment left out, especially in the front area. Even the personal trainers will leave the equipment they used with clients out. Also, the personal training sessions are far too short to get any real work done. If half the time is spent discussing nutrition/workouts throughout the week and the other half working out, then there is only 15 minutes or less to get work in. Another thing is that the women's locker room always smells of urine to the left when you walk in.

Hello Ashley,

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

THIS GYM IS THE BEST! They have just about every piece of equipment under the Sun for a full body workout including ropes, platforms & kettle balls (sans a monster truck tire:). They even have an aerobic/dance room with 180 degrees of mirrors & dimmable lights (for us early birds:). Also, the hydromassage beds w/ the VIP upgrade is a big plus for a runner like me. And probably the biggest tell-tale, in my opinion, of a professionally ran fitness business is: *equipment downtime*. I've been here for over a year now and have rarely ever, seen a machine down. If it was, it was usually up and running again in a matter of days (not weeks, like some other places)! My only gripe (ok, maybe a few) to make things even better? Put some wall mounted pull-up bars in, bring in a monster truck tire (or two) & *please*, change that puke yellow wall color! Please??? Other than that, rock on y'all. Keep up the good work!

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the awesome 5 star review, we truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy and love our facility. We love that you enjoy all aspects of the club and I have also elevated your suggestions. Thank you again we wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Everyone treated me with respect and understanding and were very pleasant. I appreciate the month to month membership. When it became necessary for me to drop my membership, it was an easy process. They answered all my questions in a pleasant manner. I will recommend this facility.

Hello Kathy,

Thank you for your review and feedback, we truly appreciate at it. We are happy to hear about your awesome experiences with our staff. We thank you again and wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

In-Shape on S. Tracy Blvd is a great gym. They are all very friendly, have a ton of equipment, and despite the parking lot always looking full, there is always ample equipment to use. I enjoy coming here, and would definitely recommend this gym to anyone.

Hello Cory,

Thank you for the 5-star review! We appreciate you sharing your feedback and experience. We hope you continue to enjoy the club and its amenities. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I really enjoy my work out experience at In-Shape Capitola, CA. They have everything I need to meet my goals except for a seated calf machine, which I've put in a request for. Otherwise, a very nice facility with all the extras like a trainers, aerobic classes, a pool, lap pool, ice tub, sauna, if you need those things. And the showers and locker area are clean.

I would have given In-Shape Capitola 5 stars but for the complacent staff. 9 out of 10 times they won't even acknowledge you when you walk in or see them around the gym. They aren't rude, but not friendly either. A nice greeting when you walk in the door would make all the difference. Besides that, it's affordable and generally well equipped for all of your fitness needs.

Hello Robert,

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I love our Monterey In-Shape. It's a great place to go. Staff are wonderful, especially Rocky, RJ and Susanne. Always helpful and do everything they can to make your experience a good one. Kudos to you!! Keep up the great work!

Hello Linda,

Thank you for the 5 star review, we really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We love when our staff is recognized for the amazing job they do. We have elevated your feedback to their management so they can be recognized appropriately. We wish you nothing but success in your fitness and health journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

We love the In-Shape Health Club in El Dorado, CA. We think it is the most complete fitness center we have ever been members! The staff is very friendly and helpful! They are almost like family! We are VIP members and we enjoy all of the amenities! Best fitness center ever!

Hello Lauran,

Thank you for the amazing 5 star review, we truly appreciate you for taking the time to give us y our feedback. We strive to provide amazing facilities and love knowing we are dong things right. We thank you again and wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I use Prescott In-Shape. I swim laps 3 x week & soak in the therapy pool. I especially like the therapy pool because it's not boiling hot which allows me to stay longer for my aching joints. The swimming pool (122 ft) is a great length for laps. There are a few minor issues that need to be addressed. A railing along the wall from the women's changing room to pool area would be helpful as the flooring is slippery. And the walkway around the pool is slippery when wet. These need attention. Otherwise a great facility & friendly staff.

Hello Christine,

Thank you for your 4 star review, we really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoy the pool we definitely want to encourage you to explore other aspects of your club, like our classes. We truly value our members your feedback, I have elevated your suggestions. Thank you again and we do wish you the best in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Modesto Floyd Location: I’ve not attended like my “norm” all year due to some personal factors & hoping to get back real soon. However being a member with InShape for many years I’ve never been disappointed. Staff’s always professional, friendly and helpful.

Hello Ronnie,

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy the facility and thank you for your loyalty. We hope to see you back soon and more often when you can. We wish you nothing but the best in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I spoke with Darla in the Personal Trainer Customer Service Department (Hanford). She was extremely helpful with my questions and making a decision about my account. I was very happy with the outcome of our conversation.

Hello Cheryl,

Thank you for your 5 star review, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear about your pleasant experience with Darla and glad all your concerns were addressed. We thank you again and wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness goals! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I was very please to learn many things from trainer at Palmdale East since I am 69 years old with many old age health issues and added to that I am caregiver for my husband. I need more energy and strength along with don't fall policy I have hear from my doctors. I was very happy to be there once a week and I would like to get back if I can as soon as my husband get better. Thank God my son is doing very well there and building so much for himself. He can help me while when he is home to pick my husband (6'2") up when he fell to the floor couldn't get up himself. Otherwise I just pull him to the where he can reach (sink or cabinet) to pull himself up. I am 5 feet. There are no way otherwise I will be hurt. Anyway, I have to say Thank you so much for help you guys given me. Because of that I will be back.

Hello Keiko,

Thank you for the 5 star review we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear your enjoying your personal training and see the benefit it has. We wish you both the best of health and hope to see you soon. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Sharnae, Josh, Tresa, Gabriel, Michelle, I like to give a special thanks to all the Victorville North staff. For always greeting you with a smile on their face with a hello and have a good work out that means a lot. For keeping the facility clean, always there when you need something, they should be called the A-Team.

Hello Gary,

Thank you for the amazing 5 star review. We truly appropriate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We love when our member recognize our staff for the amazing job they do. I have notified our management so they can be recognized accordingly. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I had a very pleasant experience with Vanessa ** from corporate! She has excellent customer service skills and was empathetic to my situation. She went above and beyond to help me fix another employee's mistake.

Hello Ofelia,

Thank you for your awesome 5 star review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Vanessa. We strive to provide excellent service and love hearing we are doing things right. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I'm very happy I joint In-Shape fitness center. I have been a member since May if this year. And I'm also happy with my trainer. Although, I go at least 3 times a week and work with my trainer two times a month. I feel super! Great! And my body is happy. Thank you, In-Shape???

Hello Alice,

Thank you for your 5 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and are happy to hear you are enjoying and actively using the facility. We wish you nothing but the best in your health and fitness journey! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Gym is clean and has great equipment but its atmosphere is boring. Most of the staff is very friendly. Kim is my trainer and has been great. The music played needs a total overhaul and needs to be louder. Gym needs to be brighter.

Hello Nicole,

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

The recruitment manager at the March Lane in Stockton is not fit to be a manager. One of my students was told she was hired at the daycare and every time the student called to find out when to fingerprints the manager avoided her and even left her on hold and never came back. When some of the teachers at my school heard me talk about this rude recruiter, two of them shared that they stopped going to the In-Shape at the March Lane location because of how rude the staff was at the front desk. One of them said she was given a hard time at the front desk when trying to cancel her membership when she got pregnant and could not work out any longer. She actually had to go to the office on El Dorado with a doctor's note. The other teacher said she and her husband will never go to March Lane again due to the uncaring attitude of the staff.

Hello Vanessa,

Thank you for bring this to our attention. I have elevated your concerns and will have a member of our management team contact you. We appreciate your valued feedback that was provided. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Me and my child love going to our gym! The staff is always upbeat and friendly. The trainers are top notch. And the gym is always kept nice and clean! I prefer to go to this gold gym. I wish they had larger women's clothing items. It's a challenge getting gym gear in my size.

Hello Robyn,

Thank you for the wonderful 5 star review. We are glad to hear you and your child are enjoying the facility. I have elevated your feedback regarding clothing size options at the club. Thank you again and have an in shape day! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I relocated from San Diego back to Antioch and needed a gym. This was a great choice for me, it's my 2nd home. I never have issues getting on equipment, and can change up my workout everyday because there is plenty to choose from. Only thing I don't care for are some of the members that have younger kids that play on the equipment or goof around in the gym. The price being lower would be nice too.

Hello Amy,

Thank you for the awesome 5 star review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and are glad to hear you are actively using. I have elevated your concerns and feedback. Thank you again and we wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Maynel at customer service was exceptional. She did above and beyond customer service in assisting me through my every need. She was the friendliest person I have ever spoken with in my life. Each time she not only helped me with what I needed but excelled giving me another reason to love being a In Shape Bakersfield White Lane customer.

Hello Flavio,

Thank you for your outstanding 5 star review regarding Maynel. We love when our members recognize our staff for the hard work they do. We truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. Our Support Center Manager has been made aware of your positive experience so she can be recognized appropriately. Again thank you and have an In-Shape Day! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I love the gym in Ridgecrest. It has been great and the energy there is very positive. I like how each area is segregated a bit instead of all in one room. The only thing I did not enjoy was my session with a personal trainer. She rushed thru and didn't show me exercises for the goals I wanted to accomplish. It felt as though she didn't want to train me. What was supposed to take an hour took 28 minutes. If I ever use a trainer again, (not likely after that) it will not be her.

Hello Lacy,

Thank you for your 4 start review. We are pleased to hear you enjoy and love the facility. I do apologize about your personal training experience and I have elevated your concerns. We would love for you to give it another try!!!. We want to thank you again and have an In-Shape day! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

The overall thing that I love about this gym is that no matter what day or what time I work out, there is always so much variety of things to use to get in shape. The parking lot could be full of cars but the layout and options of equipment in the gym allow for a spacious environment... Where it never seems crowded. The staff are so welcoming and this is one of the cleanest gyms I have visited.

Hello Natalie,

Thank you for you 5 star review! We appreciate you sharing your feedback and experience. We wish you the best of luck on your fitness journey, have a great day! Best, Gabriela M.

No response received
Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I've referred a few new clients that have signed up. As a reward for my referrals I've been promised a jacket, 2 t-shirts and 2 backpacks but had yet to receive any. When I ask the reps they just tell me to call corporate and fight with them. What kind of customer service is that? NO MORE REFERRALS! I'm considering switching gyms.

Hello Jose,

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I enjoy the pool classes at either Floyd or Prescott. It made me happy when they added 2 more morning classes at Prescott but then they changed the time to 9:30 which annoyed me. I like to go and be there by 8:30 but they always mess with the pool classes when they change time on a class. Also the women's locker rooms in both areas are quite small. Other than those complaints I enjoy my time there.

Hello Saundra,

Thank you for your 4 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I have elevated all of your feedback regarding classes and locker rooms. I want to encourage you to try one of our other facilities in Modesto which may offer more classes. I wish you nothing but the best in your health and fitness journey! Best, Gabriela Mendez

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

My experience has been great. I use to work out in the evening after work but changed to an early morning routine. The morning staff greets all of the customers and says goodbye when leaving. I work out at the Vacaville Elmira club. The men's locker room has improved a lot in its cleanliness. It was hit or miss during the past year and a half. But now the crew who now cleans is better. The floor is organized and equipment put away. In-Shape has been good to me.

Hello Thurman,

Thank you for the wonderful 5 star review, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear you that the club has improved and love knowing our staff is doing a wonderful job. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

In-Shape Health Clubs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The first In-Shape Health Club opened in 1981 in Stockton, California. The chain of fitness facilities now includes more than 70 other locations throughout California. The company prides itself on creating a community where people can exercise and work towards a healthier lifestyle.

• Classes: In-Shape clubs offer an extensive variety of group fitness classes to help members get in shape and build a community. Classes include aerobics, yoga, strength training, martial arts and more.

• 29-Minute Circuit®: Many In-Shape locations have 29-Minute Circuit® studios which include 13 stations. Members proceed through the stations to get both a cardio workout and resistance training.

• Special offers: New clients can look for seasonal discounts on the In-Shape website. Offers may include free enrollment, discounted membership, deals on personal training or other free or discounted services.

• Personal training: In-Shape offers personal training for clients looking for one-on-one fitness training and advice. New clients can sign up for a free personal training session through the FitStart Program.

• Free childcare: Members who put their children on their membership can use In-Shape’s free childcare for up to two hours when the parent or guardian is using the In-Shape facilities. Free childcare is available for children between six months and 12 years old.

• Best for: California athletes, beginners and anyone interested in a healthy lifestyle.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs