Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.08/5

In-Shape Health Clubs is ranked one of the top 20 health club companies in the United States and owns and operates 69 locations in California. Founded in 1981 with one club and a vision for helping people stay healthy and have fun, the company has experienced strong, consistent growth that has exceeded expectations.

Stop by any one of our locations and you will experience state-of-the-art equipment and programs for men, women, and children. Let one of our professional and courteous employees show you the many amenities that will meet your family's health needs. There is no need to look further - you have found your home for an “In-Shape Lifestyle.”

View More View More

In-Shape Health Clubs Reviews

Original review: April 20, 2020

Always out of towels, machines always out of order, Zumba room leaking when it rains. The gym is supposed to be high end but it has gone down tremendously in Customer service. The men's room is always out of tissue, the sauna and steam room has slimy stuff on the floor.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I requested a cancellation on my club membership September 2018 because I started a new job that prevents me to fully utilize my membership. I recently found out I was still being drafted in my bank account. I was never sent a cancellation confirmation. Unfortunately I only kept this bank account for small transactions and haven't been really paying attention to it plus I've been busy with my new job. I emailed 12/11/19 for a cancellation request. An automatic response was supposed to be handled within a day. I had to call 12/16/19 about the issue. They said that they cannot do anything about the drafted fees because there was no confirmation. I said I requested one but never received one.

My last login the club was 7/2018. I requested another cancellation via email this time and I still didn't get a response, I had to call. Beware if you need to cancel your membership, keep calling to confirm. Since I wasn't able to follow up on it right away. They never followed through on my request and it cost me $$$ for their inconsideration. I feel like I was set up. I was charged for something that I requested cancelled and did not use. What happened to customer service???

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I was working out and wanted to try out personal training so I went to the fitness manager and asked if I could purchase a few sessions so he showed me the session pricing and I chose the 4 sessions to work out 1 day a week just to see if I liked training. I filled out my name on a piece of paper stating the workout summary for full body and that it was four sessions that I purchased for $300. I informed them I did not want to be scheduled and that I did not want to purchase more training.

I was on vacation for half of the next month and I noticed a charge from In-Shape for $303 and called for a month trying to figure out why they charged me for sessions if I didn't agree to purchase any. They never told me that it was auto renewed until I called customer service for the 5th time and she informed me that apparently they send an opt out agreement that you must cancel in order to not be charged. I did not sign anything nor was I shown any agreement. They left me under the impression I was purchasing 4 sessions for 1 month that's it. I would have never purchased had I known they fraudulently charge your card they have on file without your consent.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I had had good experiences with In Shape elsewhere. Perhaps I, as a ** female, should have known better than to stop at the one on California Ave in West Bakersfield. It has a huge banner advertising swimming lessons for all ages. But, Brittney, the receptionist said the banner was just contractual and In Shape knew nothing about the swimming lessons. I tried to explain to her that a contract was legal and that they should not have a six foot tall banner near the registration window if what it advertised did not exist. So, then I took some photos and she got mean. She called me aggressive several times even though the counter and several feet were between us.

So, then I sat down to talk to wait for the manager. She then called three burly ** guys. They towered over me and intimidated me. She said she was going to file a report. Scared, I called the police department and made my own complaint. I then went to my car, hand wrote a letter of complaint to the managers, took it inside, stayed six to eight feet away from Britney, taped the note to the counter, and told her from afar that I was leaving a note for the manager. She said "Here's your note going in the trash", crumpled it up and threw it away. I'll send to corporate the copy of the letter I made with my cell phone.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I went through an entire ordeal with In-Shape not honoring their own contract we agreed and signed to, as well as overcharging me for over a year. Taking more than the agreed amount from my bank and would not assists me regarding this issue at all. I called multiple times throughout the year of 2018 and was never helped. I finally got the attention of corporate after writing many times and posting an online negative opinion about my experience and I complained many times about my personal information missing from their own records.

I was constantly told that a representative would get back to me, but that never happened. I demanded resolution and restitution by Jan 2019 from being victimized of my bank account being abused and my rates being raised with zero notifications in any manner with explanation. If rolls were reversed, I would be in prison for theft. It is bad business practices to overcharge a member and be in breach of company contract. Especially when I honored previous contract and payments two years prior. I have been an In-Shape member since 2016.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about In-Shape Health Clubs?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

The Brentwood In-Shape gym is overall fine, like most of local gyms, clean, nice and the stuff is generally friendly. Even found an amazing Zumba instructor, Kelly **, if she'll ever work outside of their system I'll be one of the first in line. But the billing is a complete scam. I've been their customer, for about three months, but decided to cancel since with three kids and lots of side activities had no time for it. But, I was a bit hesitant and thinking of returning, since it's overall a good local gym, we decided to freeze my account for 6 mounts and see what happens. But my schedule got even tighter, so I had to cancel. Trusting the stuff I genuinely thought that my story with In-Shape is over, but today I've got a bill from them on the credit card that wasn't EVEN REGISTERED in their system.

I've got that card after I've cancelled the membership. It's the same account, but the card is different, since it was reissued by the bank, with a different number. And now, I cannot be sure that if I'll mark this transaction as a fraud, In-Shape won't find my new card and won't charge me again, for a cancelled membership to a non registered card. Yes, it seems surreal, but it's true. Not only is it very difficult, but extremely close to an actual crime. I'm definitely not returning, telling all my friends who are current members and also, if it happens again, after I'll talk to the stuff for third time now, consulting my family lawyer about possible charges.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I signed up for a 6 month personal training session. At the time I was signing up, the trainer who signed me up said: I could cancel during month 1, not month 2 and after month 2. I said that was exactly what I was looking for since my schedule fluctuates significantly and I get incredibly busy at times. After falling significantly behind on my training sessions and informing my personal trainer (not who signed me up) I couldn't manage the time commitment (month 4). He told me I couldn't cancel without a cancellation fee. This was news to me since that was never mentioned... I was also informed I signed up for a 6 month contract.

After spending an hour on the phone explaining the situation, I was promised a call back within 30 mins. I never received a callback and ended calling myself 24 hours later. This time, I was informed that I should have known all of this, since it was written in the agreement sent to my online portal. I signed a contract in good faith based on the verbal representation of one of their employees, they sent it to an online portal that I have never logged on to or didn't know the existence of.

Then I was informed that my contract auto renews and I will be on the hook for month 7 as well since I didn't cancel 30 days prior. But out of the goodness of their heart they are willing to waive the 30 cancellation time. I missed 2.5-3 months worth of sessions and only asked to be reimbursed for 1 month which coincides with when I tried to cancel, as I was lead to believe possible when signing up. Can't believe they get away with doing business like this and wonder how many other customers have been misled, class action lawsuit waiting to happen. Going to cancel my membership altogether now.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

This company always tries to come up with various schemes to overcharge me. When I first signed up, according to a promotion my membership was supposed to be 19.99 a month. Later they raised it to 29.99 a month because I didn't have the promotion letter that was mailed to my address anymore to prove I had that I had the promotion. Perhaps, I left the promotion letter with Rachelle, the manager who signed me up. Now they came up with a NON EFT charge that bumps my monthly to 39.99 a month.

From 19.99 it went up to 39.99 within half a year and it doesn't even include towel or massage chairs. I'm sick and tired of them thinking it's ok to bait and switch, Going to contact DCA, FTC, BBB and other agencies about their fraudulent schemes, and reduce my original ratings on ConsumerAffairs, Google, etc. then cancel my membership altogether. Don't let malicious businesses to survive around my area!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Our neighborhood fitness center was a welcome addition to our small and remote desert community. It has everything that the larger cities have albeit on a smaller scale. For $39 a month both my wife and I have access to more than enough classes, e.g. spin, yoga, etc. My main reason for joining was that it also has an 8 lane 25 yard indoor pool (the only year round pool!) that I use more than anything else.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My experience at In-Shape has been great until recently. The manager has changed and it's obvious. The heated pool has been ice cold for the past month. So cold that all of the water aerobic classes had to be canceled. The sauna is suppose to be cleaned often and twice this week I was there for 4 hours and no one cleaned it. There are never any towels available, the pool, therapy pool and jacuzzi are dirty, the clothes ringer NEVER works and 2 weeks ago I was notified that they were increasing my monthly fee.

In-Shape Health Clubs author review by Joey Thurman

The first In-Shape Health Club opened in 1981 in Stockton, California. The chain of fitness facilities now includes more than 70 other locations throughout California. The company prides itself on creating a community where people can exercise and work towards a healthier lifestyle.

• Classes: In-Shape clubs offer an extensive variety of group fitness classes to help members get in shape and build a community. Classes include aerobics, yoga, strength training, martial arts and more.

• 29-Minute Circuit®: Many In-Shape locations have 29-Minute Circuit® studios which include 13 stations. Members proceed through the stations to get both a cardio workout and resistance training.

• Special offers: New clients can look for seasonal discounts on the In-Shape website. Offers may include free enrollment, discounted membership, deals on personal training or other free or discounted services.

• Personal training: In-Shape offers personal training for clients looking for one-on-one fitness training and advice. New clients can sign up for a free personal training session through the FitStart Program.

• Free childcare: Members who put their children on their membership can use In-Shape’s free childcare for up to two hours when the parent or guardian is using the In-Shape facilities. Free childcare is available for children between six months and 12 years old.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

In-Shape Health Clubs Company Information