4.30/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

In-Shape Health Clubs is ranked one of the top 20 health club companies in the United States and owns and operates 69 locations in California. Founded in 1981 with one club and a vision for helping people stay healthy and have fun, the company has experienced strong, consistent growth that has exceeded expectations.

Stop by any one of our locations and you will experience state-of-the-art equipment and programs for men, women, and children. Let one of our professional and courteous employees show you the many amenities that will meet your family's health needs. There is no need to look further - you have found your home for an “In-Shape Lifestyle.”

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

174 In-Shape Health Clubs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I'm very happy I joint In-Shape fitness center. I have been a member since May if this year. And I'm also happy with my trainer. Although, I go at least 3 times a week and work with my trainer two times a month. I feel super! Great! And my body is happy. Thank you, In-Shape???

Hello Alice,

Thank you for your 5 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and are happy to hear you are enjoying and actively using the facility. We wish you nothing but the best in your health and fitness journey! Best, Gabriela M.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Gym is clean and has great equipment but its atmosphere is boring. Most of the staff is very friendly. Kim is my trainer and has been great. The music played needs a total overhaul and needs to be louder. Gym needs to be brighter.

Hello Nicole,

I attempted to reach you by phone and left you a message with my contact information. Please contact me back at your earliest convenience for a quick resolution. Best, Gabriela M.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

The recruitment manager at the March Lane in Stockton is not fit to be a manager. One of my students was told she was hired at the daycare and every time the student called to find out when to fingerprints the manager avoided her and even left her on hold and never came back. When some of the teachers at my school heard me talk about this rude recruiter, two of them shared that they stopped going to the In-Shape at the March Lane location because of how rude the staff was at the front desk. One of them said she was given a hard time at the front desk when trying to cancel her membership when she got pregnant and could not work out any longer. She actually had to go to the office on El Dorado with a doctor's note. The other teacher said she and her husband will never go to March Lane again due to the uncaring attitude of the staff.

Hello Vanessa,

Thank you for bring this to our attention. I have elevated your concerns and will have a member of our management team contact you. We appreciate your valued feedback that was provided. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Me and my child love going to our gym! The staff is always upbeat and friendly. The trainers are top notch. And the gym is always kept nice and clean! I prefer to go to this gold gym. I wish they had larger women's clothing items. It's a challenge getting gym gear in my size.

Hello Robyn,

Thank you for the wonderful 5 star review. We are glad to hear you and your child are enjoying the facility. I have elevated your feedback regarding clothing size options at the club. Thank you again and have an in shape day! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I relocated from San Diego back to Antioch and needed a gym. This was a great choice for me, it's my 2nd home. I never have issues getting on equipment, and can change up my workout everyday because there is plenty to choose from. Only thing I don't care for are some of the members that have younger kids that play on the equipment or goof around in the gym. The price being lower would be nice too.

Hello Amy,

Thank you for the awesome 5 star review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and are glad to hear you are actively using. I have elevated your concerns and feedback. Thank you again and we wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey! Best, Gabriela M.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about In-Shape Health Clubs?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Maynel at customer service was exceptional. She did above and beyond customer service in assisting me through my every need. She was the friendliest person I have ever spoken with in my life. Each time she not only helped me with what I needed but excelled giving me another reason to love being a In Shape Bakersfield White Lane customer.

Hello Flavio,

Thank you for your outstanding 5 star review regarding Maynel. We love when our members recognize our staff for the hard work they do. We truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. Our Support Center Manager has been made aware of your positive experience so she can be recognized appropriately. Again thank you and have an In-Shape Day! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I love the gym in Ridgecrest. It has been great and the energy there is very positive. I like how each area is segregated a bit instead of all in one room. The only thing I did not enjoy was my session with a personal trainer. She rushed thru and didn't show me exercises for the goals I wanted to accomplish. It felt as though she didn't want to train me. What was supposed to take an hour took 28 minutes. If I ever use a trainer again, (not likely after that) it will not be her.

Hello Lacy,

Thank you for your 4 start review. We are pleased to hear you enjoy and love the facility. I do apologize about your personal training experience and I have elevated your concerns. We would love for you to give it another try!!!. We want to thank you again and have an In-Shape day! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

The overall thing that I love about this gym is that no matter what day or what time I work out, there is always so much variety of things to use to get in shape. The parking lot could be full of cars but the layout and options of equipment in the gym allow for a spacious environment... Where it never seems crowded. The staff are so welcoming and this is one of the cleanest gyms I have visited.

Hello Natalie,

Thank you for you 5 star review! We appreciate you sharing your feedback and experience. We wish you the best of luck on your fitness journey, have a great day! Best, Gabriela M.

No response received
    Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I've referred a few new clients that have signed up. As a reward for my referrals I've been promised a jacket, 2 t-shirts and 2 backpacks but had yet to receive any. When I ask the reps they just tell me to call corporate and fight with them. What kind of customer service is that? NO MORE REFERRALS! I'm considering switching gyms.

Hello Jose,

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I enjoy the pool classes at either Floyd or Prescott. It made me happy when they added 2 more morning classes at Prescott but then they changed the time to 9:30 which annoyed me. I like to go and be there by 8:30 but they always mess with the pool classes when they change time on a class. Also the women's locker rooms in both areas are quite small. Other than those complaints I enjoy my time there.

Hello Saundra,

Thank you for your 4 star review! We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I have elevated all of your feedback regarding classes and locker rooms. I want to encourage you to try one of our other facilities in Modesto which may offer more classes. I wish you nothing but the best in your health and fitness journey! Best, Gabriela Mendez

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

My experience has been great. I use to work out in the evening after work but changed to an early morning routine. The morning staff greets all of the customers and says goodbye when leaving. I work out at the Vacaville Elmira club. The men's locker room has improved a lot in its cleanliness. It was hit or miss during the past year and a half. But now the crew who now cleans is better. The floor is organized and equipment put away. In-Shape has been good to me.

Hello Thurman,

Thank you for the wonderful 5 star review, we appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear you that the club has improved and love knowing our staff is doing a wonderful job. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Michael ** was very helpful in helping me resolve an issue I had regarding a misunderstanding of the training package. He was very professional and had good follow through. Because of him taking care of my issue, I will now go and post a very positive endorsement of In-Shape (Visalia Demaree) and spread the word to all of my friends and business associates about what a great organization you have. Thank you.

Hello Fran,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Support Center Staff. We truly appreciate it when members recognize our staff for the hard work they do. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Omg Czerina ** at the support center was AWESOME!! We had a nice 10-15 min conversation. She was friendly, very knowledgeable, and to-the-point. I unfortunately had to put my membership on a hold; she was understanding of my reason and didn't make me feel like a social deviant for having to do so. I appreciate her time and positive energy. If only all In-Shape employees could be like her. ;)

Hello Charla,

Thank you for your amazing 5 star review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feed back. We strive to provide all of our members with excellent service and love knowing we are doing things right! Thank you again, we wish you nothing but success your your health and fitness journey. Best, Gabriela M.

No response received
    Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Was pleased with interaction with representative Vanessa on phone so I hope my rating I gave doesn't affect her in any way. I am however disappointed with the Air conditioning at the clubs. Turlock on countryside and Ceres on Mitchell AC is programmed to be way too hot for a workout environment. Need to put AC cooler. Also upset with the yearly maintenance fee.

Hello Miguel,

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I spoke with Elizabeth ** in the customer service line regarding my bill. She took care of everything asap and even took the to ask me how the weather is like in NM. She refunded a check that I didn't expect that. EXCELLENT customer service. I hope she gets applauded for her excellent work.

Hello Reina,

Thank you for your amazing 5 start review. We truly appreciate it when members recognize our staff for the hard work they do. Our Support Center Manager has been made aware of your feedback so she can be recognized appropriately. Thank you again and have an In-Shape Day! Best, Gabriela M.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Merced Yosemite Ave - I did speak to Sharon the club manager, I returned her call and she asked me if everything was still okay from when we last spoke. She did not address the problems about customer service. She did inform me that it takes a few days to receive a credit for the In-Shape goggles that I had to return. The goggles did not work right at all, water seeped in the goggles with each use. All three ISC goggles were the same, the fourth pair that did work well was made from a different brand, called Leader and I did not ask to return those. I hope something is done regarding better customer service skills. Thank you.

Hello Gelinia,

Pleasure speaking to you this afternoon, I am glad i was able to resolve your concerns to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you for being a member, have a wonderful day. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

The members services agent was very professional and supportive. She gave me much relief by assisting me to get current on my account. Thank you, In-Shape, for being flexible with me over the years. I am a loyal and devoted member and will always encourage family and friends to become members as well.

Hello Vonda,

Thank you for the awesome 5 star review, we love getting positive feedback. We truly appreciate your long time membership and loyalty. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey! Best - Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

In-Shape Health Club Lompoc: I really appreciate how amazing customer service has been to me. I appreciate a positive caring attitude when I'm having a difficult time and have a ton of stress. A huge change from many years ago. Keep the amazing work!

Hello Maria,

Thank you for the 5 star review, we truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. We strive to provide excellent service and we love knowing we are doing things right! Thank you again for being a valued member have a wonderful day. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I called on August 30th to cancel my kids club membership. While talking to Czerna ** She mentioned to me that since I had checked in more than 12 times I could receive a free bag and a bottle of water. She said she would call the gym and notify them that I would be stopping by that day. She even said she would put it in the system so they could see it when I checked in.

She called me back to confirm that the bag and bottle was ready to be picked up and if the manager had left, he would leave the items at the check in desk. I was so thankful that she had took the extra step to call me back to let me know she had spoken to the club and that everything was taken care of. So I went to the club in Manteca on Yosemite (next to the Big Lots store) later on that evening. As I checked in the girl at the front desk said the manager hadn't left anything there and that he would be back the next day if I wanted to come by to talk to him about it. I told her the story of how I had spoken to someone earlier from customer service and she assured me it would be there. She explained to me there was nothing she could do and I would have to come back. I figured I would stop by the next day to find out what happened. Unfortunately I injured myself at work and have not been to the gym since that day.

Today I received a call from In-Shape notifying me that my bag and bottle of water was ready for pickup. I asked the lady if it was at the gym next to Savemart and she said yes. So I drove to the same gym and when I got there the lady at the desk said she had nothing there for me and that she would check with her manager. The manager told her to have me to pull up the coupon that was sent to me and he would scan it so I could get my items. By this time I'm upset because I was not told I needed a coupon from the previous person who called me or Czerna. I came by just to pick up the bag and bottle of water since I was on my way home and had gotten the call to get it.

After having to call customer service so they could tell them to give me the bag and waiting for over 20 minutes since the lady had called the wrong gym, I was finally able to get it. I'm sending this feedback in hopes that maybe something could be done so that if that ever happened to someone else they wouldn't have to go through what I went through. Thank you in advance.

Hello Cathy,

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

The customer service specialist (Tracy Grant Line) that I talked to was very friendly and knowledgeable regarding my issue. I was very pleased to have worked with her and as soon as my work load has decreased I would like to once again begin my training. I would highly recommend to any of my friends, the customer care that was offered today.

Hello Allan,

Thank you for your feedback we truly appreciate the time you have taken to tell us about your positive experience. We want to wish you the best in your fitness journey and we look forward to you continuing with our training program. Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

The personnel makes this club, from the manager, to the desk people to the lady tending the locker rooms on down. Always friendly and helpful, facility looks well kept. I only use the pool and locker room and can tell. Do not frequent any of your other locations.

Hello Renate,

Thank you for your feedback. We truly appreciate it when members recognize our staff for the hard work they do. I want to thank you again and encourage you to explore other aspects of our facility like our group fitness classes. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Palmdale East - I was on the phone with operator Maynel and I have to tell you that she did such an amazing job! She really came through to help me deal with our situation. You have an amazing employee there!! Thank you Maynel!!! Great Job!!!

Hello Marie,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Support Center Staff. We truly appreciate it when members recognize our staff for the hard work they do. The Contact Manager has been made aware of your comments so Maynel can be recognized appropriately. Thank you again and have an In-Shape Day! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I shortly spoke with Mrs. ** I believe in the corporation. She has exceeded my expectations, she's an excellent example of A great customer service. Extremely nice and professional and went the extra mile for me to please me and give me the best options about my situation. She should be a trainer for excellent customer service!! I appreciate it and thank you for having such competent and talented employees like **.

Hello Masuda,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Support Center Staff. We truly appreciate it when members recognize our staff for the hard work they do. The Contact Manager has been made aware of your comments so she can be recognized appropriately. Thank you again and have an In-Shape Day! Best, Gabriela M.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I enjoy going to In-Shape on Lincoln Rd. The staff is very professional and knowledgeable. Lots of trainers available for one on one training (if that's your thing). The equipment is kept clean and sanitized. The bathroom facilities, pool, sauna, tennis courts are all well kept up. They offer a variety of classes, which I like at various times (Cycling, Yoga, Zumba, Core Conditioning, etc). There's enough variety to keep you interested. No one bothers you. You can get in and out. I highly recommend this location and gym club.

Hello Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to review our club and for the five star rating. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience. This is a great location and the staff will be excited to hear about your positive feedback. Have an In-Shape Day! -- Kioti F.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I go to both the East and West side In-Shape Gyms. East side is closer to home, west side has a steam room that I Like to use. I attend the pool classes for the low impact exercise due to injuries. Sonia and Nikki are the best instructors.

Hello Sam,

Thank you for the incredible 5-Star review for Sonia and Nikki at our Palmdale locations! We are so happy that you enjoy the facility so much. They are credits to our team. We hope that you find continued success with us in the near and long-term future! Best --Kioti

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

West Lane Racquet Club - Areas of concern: Parking lot safety and auto burglaries. Lack of regular maintenance scheduling (has been an on-going issue over the years) which creates additional down times, restricted use, and member dissatisfaction - showers, steam room, etc. Employees are friendly and helpful. They go out of their way to assist or compensate members for less than adequate services. There is a disparity between how West Lane is serviced compared to Quail Lakes, Lincoln Village Marina, and Don Ave.

Hello Richard,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and concerns. Please know your pertinent feedback will be elevated to management to be addressed. Thank you again and have a great day! - Kioti

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I spoke with Jina from customer service for my membership on the corporate telephone. Jina was kind, relatable and provided great customer service. Originally I was going to call and cancel due to not having any availability but Jina recommended putting my account on hold which was a great suggestion. I did not feel she was pushy about the choice at all which I really appreciated.

Hello Samantha,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Support Center Staff. We truly appreciate the time spent to share your positive experience with Jina. We wish you great success in your health and fitness journey. Have a wonderful day! --Kioti

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Tracy Blvd - Vanessa was the smartest one I talked to and gave me the right information about my membership and my personal training. The person before her gave me false information. Thank you again Vanessa for helping me. I don't know what I would have done without you. Someone should give her a raise.

Hello Evelyn,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Support Center Staff. Vanessa is definitely a credit to our Team and we appreciate you taking the time to share your five star feedback. Good-luck in your fitness journey. See you in! -- Kioti

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Corp Office was nice about extending out my training sessions in Modesto Floyd In-Shape health club due to an injury to my left knee. Wish I remember the lady that assisted me on the phone from corporate office in Stockton. She should get a raise for excellent service. Thanks again for everything she did.

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Support Center Staff. We truly love to hear such positive feedback from our members, especially when it involves a member of our Team. We wish you the best of luck in your fitness and health journey. Enjoy your training! -- Kioti

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

On 8/25/17 I spoke with Jina regarding a request for sponsorship made on 7/19/17. She was the third membership services person I spoke to to try to get a response. Jina was very helpful, contacted the appropriate team regarding my issue, and was the first to call me back when promised. I hope her intervention will result in my getting a final decision on my original request.

Hello Maurine,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our Support Center Staff. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and experience. Your concerns will be elevated to our Team. Have a great day! -- Kioti

In-Shape Health Clubs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The first In-Shape Health Club opened in 1981 in Stockton, California. The chain of fitness facilities now includes more than 70 other locations throughout California. The company prides itself on creating a community where people can exercise and work towards a healthier lifestyle.

• Classes: In-Shape clubs offer an extensive variety of group fitness classes to help members get in shape and build a community. Classes include aerobics, yoga, strength training, martial arts and more.
    • 29-Minute Circuit®: Many In-Shape locations have 29-Minute Circuit® studios which include 13 stations. Members proceed through the stations to get both a cardio workout and resistance training.
    • Special offers: New clients can look for seasonal discounts on the In-Shape website. Offers may include free enrollment, discounted membership, deals on personal training or other free or discounted services.
    • Personal training: In-Shape offers personal training for clients looking for one-on-one fitness training and advice. New clients can sign up for a free personal training session through the FitStart Program.
    • Free childcare: Members who put their children on their membership can use In-Shape’s free childcare for up to two hours when the parent or guardian is using the In-Shape facilities. Free childcare is available for children between six months and 12 years old.
    • Best for: California athletes, beginners and anyone interested in a healthy lifestyle.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs