4.14/5

In-Shape Health Clubs

In-Shape Health Clubs is ranked one of the top 20 health club companies in the United States and owns and operates 69 locations in California. Founded in 1981 with one club and a vision for helping people stay healthy and have fun, the company has experienced strong, consistent growth that has exceeded expectations.

Stop by any one of our locations and you will experience state-of-the-art equipment and programs for men, women, and children. Let one of our professional and courteous employees show you the many amenities that will meet your family's health needs. There is no need to look further - you have found your home for an “In-Shape Lifestyle.”

View More View More

215 In-Shape Health Clubs Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 1, 2019

I had had good experiences with In Shape elsewhere. Perhaps I, as a ** female, should have known better than to stop at the one on California Ave in West Bakersfield. It has a huge banner advertising swimming lessons for all ages. But, Brittney, the receptionist said the banner was just contractual and In Shape knew nothing about the swimming lessons. I tried to explain to her that a contract was legal and that they should not have a six foot tall banner near the registration window if what it advertised did not exist. So, then I took some photos and she got mean. She called me aggressive several times even though the counter and several feet were between us.

So, then I sat down to talk to wait for the manager. She then called three burly ** guys. They towered over me and intimidated me. She said she was going to file a report. Scared, I called the police department and made my own complaint. I then went to my car, hand wrote a letter of complaint to the managers, took it inside, stayed six to eight feet away from Britney, taped the note to the counter, and told her from afar that I was leaving a note for the manager. She said "Here's your note going in the trash", crumpled it up and threw it away. I'll send to corporate the copy of the letter I made with my cell phone.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I went through an entire ordeal with In-Shape not honoring their own contract we agreed and signed to, as well as overcharging me for over a year. Taking more than the agreed amount from my bank and would not assists me regarding this issue at all. I called multiple times throughout the year of 2018 and was never helped. I finally got the attention of corporate after writing many times and posting an online negative opinion about my experience and I complained many times about my personal information missing from their own records.

I was constantly told that a representative would get back to me, but that never happened. I demanded resolution and restitution by Jan 2019 from being victimized of my bank account being abused and my rates being raised with zero notifications in any manner with explanation. If rolls were reversed, I would be in prison for theft. It is bad business practices to overcharge a member and be in breach of company contract. Especially when I honored previous contract and payments two years prior. I have been an In-Shape member since 2016.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

The Brentwood In-Shape gym is overall fine, like most of local gyms, clean, nice and the stuff is generally friendly. Even found an amazing Zumba instructor, Kelly **, if she'll ever work outside of their system I'll be one of the first in line. But the billing is a complete scam. I've been their customer, for about three months, but decided to cancel since with three kids and lots of side activities had no time for it. But, I was a bit hesitant and thinking of returning, since it's overall a good local gym, we decided to freeze my account for 6 mounts and see what happens. But my schedule got even tighter, so I had to cancel. Trusting the stuff I genuinely thought that my story with In-Shape is over, but today I've got a bill from them on the credit card that wasn't EVEN REGISTERED in their system.

I've got that card after I've cancelled the membership. It's the same account, but the card is different, since it was reissued by the bank, with a different number. And now, I cannot be sure that if I'll mark this transaction as a fraud, In-Shape won't find my new card and won't charge me again, for a cancelled membership to a non registered card. Yes, it seems surreal, but it's true. Not only is it very difficult, but extremely close to an actual crime. I'm definitely not returning, telling all my friends who are current members and also, if it happens again, after I'll talk to the stuff for third time now, consulting my family lawyer about possible charges.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I signed up for a 6 month personal training session. At the time I was signing up, the trainer who signed me up said: I could cancel during month 1, not month 2 and after month 2. I said that was exactly what I was looking for since my schedule fluctuates significantly and I get incredibly busy at times. After falling significantly behind on my training sessions and informing my personal trainer (not who signed me up) I couldn't manage the time commitment (month 4). He told me I couldn't cancel without a cancellation fee. This was news to me since that was never mentioned... I was also informed I signed up for a 6 month contract.

After spending an hour on the phone explaining the situation, I was promised a call back within 30 mins. I never received a callback and ended calling myself 24 hours later. This time, I was informed that I should have known all of this, since it was written in the agreement sent to my online portal. I signed a contract in good faith based on the verbal representation of one of their employees, they sent it to an online portal that I have never logged on to or didn't know the existence of.

Then I was informed that my contract auto renews and I will be on the hook for month 7 as well since I didn't cancel 30 days prior. But out of the goodness of their heart they are willing to waive the 30 cancellation time. I missed 2.5-3 months worth of sessions and only asked to be reimbursed for 1 month which coincides with when I tried to cancel, as I was lead to believe possible when signing up. Can't believe they get away with doing business like this and wonder how many other customers have been misled, class action lawsuit waiting to happen. Going to cancel my membership altogether now.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

This company always tries to come up with various schemes to overcharge me. When I first signed up, according to a promotion my membership was supposed to be 19.99 a month. Later they raised it to 29.99 a month because I didn't have the promotion letter that was mailed to my address anymore to prove I had that I had the promotion. Perhaps, I left the promotion letter with Rachelle, the manager who signed me up. Now they came up with a NON EFT charge that bumps my monthly to 39.99 a month.

From 19.99 it went up to 39.99 within half a year and it doesn't even include towel or massage chairs. I'm sick and tired of them thinking it's ok to bait and switch, Going to contact DCA, FTC, BBB and other agencies about their fraudulent schemes, and reduce my original ratings on ConsumerAffairs, Google, etc. then cancel my membership altogether. Don't let malicious businesses to survive around my area!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about In-Shape Health Clubs?

Original review: June 11, 2018

Our neighborhood fitness center was a welcome addition to our small and remote desert community. It has everything that the larger cities have albeit on a smaller scale. For $39 a month both my wife and I have access to more than enough classes, e.g. spin, yoga, etc. My main reason for joining was that it also has an 8 lane 25 yard indoor pool (the only year round pool!) that I use more than anything else.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My experience at In-Shape has been great until recently. The manager has changed and it's obvious. The heated pool has been ice cold for the past month. So cold that all of the water aerobic classes had to be canceled. The sauna is suppose to be cleaned often and twice this week I was there for 4 hours and no one cleaned it. There are never any towels available, the pool, therapy pool and jacuzzi are dirty, the clothes ringer NEVER works and 2 weeks ago I was notified that they were increasing my monthly fee.

Original review: May 30, 2018

After a very bad experience at a 24-hour gym, we were recommended to In-Shape. It has been a very good experience for the last year. They welcome us, give us free towels and water. They have dozens of classes and support. Very happy with this gym.

Original review: March 6, 2018

My mother had to relocate to a new state for work 2 weeks after signing a 2 year contract. In-Shape made it clear that this was her issue and that they would not issue her a refund. After repeated attempts to get a hold of the owner, Derick their manager informed me he could not schedule appointment with their owner nor give our her contact information because he did not have the means. I am very disappointed in the lack of customer service and the lack of ownership taken by In-Shape.

Original review: March 5, 2018

This branch is extremely well-kept! I haven't been to other branches of In-Shape yet, but I've gone to almost all branches of LA Fitness, 24 hours (most branches) throughout the nation. The cardinal reason is the STAFF!!! They're totally congenial. Despite how hot & bootylicious Emily is at the front desk, her attitude is like of a down to the earth girl. Most single guys don't even have to take Nitrix (for energy boost) when she walks by... The personal trainer, Chelsea (I believe that's her name, blonde girl) is so jovial. Her smile is so hot & bright I could almost get a suntan out of it... She mesmerized me with an eye contact from a distance when I first time walked into this gym. And she always genuinely smiles in my face. All the guys are cool too. Very hardly I see equipment out of order. At other gyms at least 5-10% of the equipment remains broken for a very long time, it's aggravating because they were most frequently used.

Here I almost don't see equipment out of order. They have a punching bag equipment, even all kinds of resistance bands unlike at most gyms, because of their 5 finger discountability. Self-guided full body exercise equipment, massage beds, massage chairs, tanning salons, jacuzzi, sauna, top-notch spas. Whatever you need to stay in shape, they have it! I wish they also include vibrational equipment that stimulate ALL cells in the body (like Juvent Sport). Pretty sure if I give them an advise they wouldn't mind obtaining it. It's not expensive (even at Walmart competitor brands cost $175), but it's very healthy for all organs and it's NOT pseudo-scientific! It's obvious in great measure this In-Shape branch has a proficient leadership, that makes this gym one of my favorite, like HorsePower, but for the fraction of the price!

In-Shape Health Clubs expert review by Joey Thurman

The first In-Shape Health Club opened in 1981 in Stockton, California. The chain of fitness facilities now includes more than 70 other locations throughout California. The company prides itself on creating a community where people can exercise and work towards a healthier lifestyle.

• Classes: In-Shape clubs offer an extensive variety of group fitness classes to help members get in shape and build a community. Classes include aerobics, yoga, strength training, martial arts and more.

• 29-Minute Circuit®: Many In-Shape locations have 29-Minute Circuit® studios which include 13 stations. Members proceed through the stations to get both a cardio workout and resistance training.

• Special offers: New clients can look for seasonal discounts on the In-Shape website. Offers may include free enrollment, discounted membership, deals on personal training or other free or discounted services.

• Personal training: In-Shape offers personal training for clients looking for one-on-one fitness training and advice. New clients can sign up for a free personal training session through the FitStart Program.

• Free childcare: Members who put their children on their membership can use In-Shape’s free childcare for up to two hours when the parent or guardian is using the In-Shape facilities. Free childcare is available for children between six months and 12 years old.

• Best for: California athletes, beginners and anyone interested in a healthy lifestyle.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

In-Shape Health Clubs Company Information