toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Hello Crystal,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at In-Shape: Cathedral City. Reviews like these are why we love what we do! We hope that you both find continued success with us in the near and long-term future! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 13, 2017

We have had a great experience with In-Shape since we started. They provide child care for 2 hours in kids zone, personal trainer, a pool, and so many other features. My husband is handicap and they have been amazing in the amenities they provide to help his recovery. Even though they are expensive, I recommend this gym to everyone.

Hello Hillery,

Pleasure speaking with you today! I appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to address your concerns and elevate your feedback. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. Have a wonderful day! Best always - Kioti F.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I have been a member with my family at this location for almost 2 years. My 2 children are also members and go to the Kid Zone for childcare while I'm using the gym. I've seen in the last year that the cleanliness of this gym has gone downhill. Especially the Kid zone! My children's clothes and hands are always dirty after playing INSIDE in Kid zone. Which is obvious that they do not clean the play area. My daughter has told me before that kids have gone potty on the slide. This is disgusting. The kid zone has probably over 50 kids per day and even more during the summer. For as much as I pay for membership fees, they can at least clean and sanitize the kid area daily. Very disappointed and looking into going to another gym in town that has childcare with a CLEAN and SANITARY area that is safe for my children to play.

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your wonderful review for Dominique and our In-Shape Team! We truly appreciate it when members recognize our staff for the hard work they do. The club manager has been made aware of your comments so she can be recognized appropriately. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 23, 2017

In-Shape has a friendly staff that always greets you and wishes you a good day. The gym itself is clean and machines are kept up. My trainer, Dominique ** is amazing and always pushing me further. I appreciate his knowledge and expertise and look forward to our workouts.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for this awesome review! We truly appreciate when our members take the time to recognize staff. We are happy that Sean has such a positive attitude, and we love that you like the club so much. Your feedback regarding the weight scales will be addressed. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey! Best - Kioti

Original review: May 19, 2017

Hi. I've been going to the In Shape west gym for about two months now. I so enjoy the staff, very friendly and they are always willing to help if a problem or question arise. Sean is a very aware manager and his awesome attitude is very inspiring. The dressing areas are clean and organized... One problem which I feel can be fixed are the weight scales... Some are accurate and others are not. But I feel this could be a easy fix. Peace.

Hi Tim,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I’d appreciate the chance to talk to you and correct any inconvenience. If you will, at your earliest convenience, please call me directly. I look forward to speaking with you soon! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Horrible. I find it curious that the corporate headquarters fails to realize that the spectacularly moronic billing department completely negates ANY positive experiences that a member might have in any of the club locations. Instead of focusing on all their members' awareness of their rhumba class offerings, they really need to get their billing department's act together.

In Dec. 2013, my sister gave me the generous Christmas gift of a year-long membership with In Shape, which I put to relatively good use up until the last month or so before the membership was to expire. A considerable amount of time AFTER the membership was to expire, I went into the club and had my card scanned to make sure that my sister had not signed me up for another year. I was told that my membership had definitely expired. That was in Feb. 2015. On May 10th this year I received a letter telling me "we attempted to draft your monthly dues and were informed the "Funds were Denied"...."If no payment is received by the end of the month, then the full balance and next month's dues will be drafted on the 2nd of the following month. This may exceed 3 times your normal draft". Wow.

Had they been billing my sister for two years for a membership that I didn't even know I had? She assures me that is not the case. But in talking to the billing department, I was told that a membership "automatically renews". I know this is not the case with my membership, which was prepaid, and I had confirmed that the membership had expired. And why are they charging me the Golden Sneaker discount? Now they are attempting to bill me via email with a credit card number that doesn't even belong to me. I spoke to Maricela who was pleasant enough, but she definitely did not resolve the problem.

Hi Marcie,

It was a pleasure speaking with you! I really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to address your concerns and elevate your pertinent feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly with any of your questions or concerns and I will be glad to assist you. I thank you for being our valued member! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I use the pool at least 3-4 times per week and this past month it has been very poorly kept up. I see a lot of fine debris floating in the water and it constantly cloudy and dirt piled in corners and along sides on bottom of pool. For a while they were keeping it up pretty good. I normally rarely ever complain but it is getting so bad that I finally need to speak up. Management at that gym is useless. You mentioned something to them they don't even care. You call and ask question before driving out to find out status on pool the clerk at the desk doesn't have any knowledge. They answer "I don't know." What customer service is that...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about In-Shape Health Clubs?

Hello Kris,

Thank you so much for the 5-Star review! Our Group X instructors are great and we appreciate them as much as you do. Thank you for taking the time to write to us and recognize Alex. Rest assure, your concerns will be addressed. We wish you great success in your fitness journey! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Love the staff and Zumba classes. Especially the classes instructed by Alex. Only complaint I have is the locker rooms. Often, the girls' locker room is out of toilet paper and plastic bags, and the showers could be kept cleaner.

Hello Raymond,

Awesome! We are glad you've selected In-Shape to service your health and fitness needs. Our commitment is to our members and their experience, while ensuring a clean, friendly, and well maintained and inviting facility. We value you as our member and appreciate your feedback. Have an incredible day! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I enjoy the monthly giveaways as a member appreciation! I choose to attend their gyms over 24 hour fitness, even though, I've been a member of 24 when they first started out. So in my 17 years, they never show members any added appreciation, and only closed clubs, regardless of members attending that club or not! Members love to feel appreciated also, not like the club is doing them the favor of being open!

Hello Dameon,

Thank you for the 5-star review! We are happy to know that you're frequent and enjoy our Victorville club. We try to provide a friendly environment that allows our members to workout as they like. If you're into lifting big, you can lift big at our club. If you want to do more functional fitness or group fitness, we have that too. We want members to be able to reach their goals the way they feel best. We certainly appreciate that you have chosen us for your fitness needs. We wish you nothing but success in reaching your goals! Best -- Kioti F.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I love In-Shape. This place has a lot to offer a person that is just starting to workout, people who are trying to stay fit, and those who have been work out for a long time to continue to workout. I love the staff there. I just love In-Shape. Thank you.

Hello Brittany,

Welcome to In-Shape! We'd like to thank you for sharing your five star feedback and experience with In-Shape: River Lakes and its staff. We hope you continue to enjoy your membership! Best - Andrew F.

Original review: May 13, 2017

If I could use one word to describe this specific location, I'd use marvelous. The staff always gives off the happy energetic vibe (at least the ones that are there when I go) you need when you're trying to talk yourself out of just another workout. The machines are always clean and there are usually a group of machines available UNLESS you go on a Monday when every single machine is taken by those who made bad food decisions (or drinking decisions) over the weekend. No judging here! Because I usually make bad food decisions every day. Anyway! This gym, this location AND the staff are incredible. Thank you!!!

Hello Christina,

Thank you for this awesome review! We truly appreciate when our members take the time to recognize staff. We are happy that Christian is keeping things interesting, and we love that you like the club so much. We wish you nothing but success in your health and fitness journey! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I really enjoyed going to the gym, it's not one of the bigger ones which I like. Most of the staff is really friendly, they greet you with the hello most of the time. The main reason I keep going is mostly because of the training staff. My trainer is Christian. He's pretty awesome, the head trainer Nick is always supportive too!! The machines are always pretty much maintained and the gym is clean for the most part. Can't think of nothing really bad to say. I love my little neighborhood gym.

Hello Cherie,

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback! We will forward your concerns and address any and all challenges you may have with the facility. We wish you both the best of luck in obtaining your fitness goals! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Myself and my husband use the gym regularly and are happy with the layout, classes offered and equipment. We have a few complaints. The locker rooms need cleaned more often and the facility always have problems with the steam room working.

Hello Anne,

We love to see five star reviews like this! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share such positive feedback with In-Shape: Napa and its staff. Again, thank you for sharing. See you soon! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Great place to work out!! There are so many choices for classes and I have recently started doing Yoga!! It is so much fun!! In-Shape is a very clean establishment and that's important to me. I also really appreciate the desk staff that always greet me with a smile. Thanks In-Shape!!!

Hi Roxann,

Thank you for your feedback! We apologize for the negative experience you've had with us. Our commitment is to our members and their experience, while ensuring a clean, friendly, and well maintained and inviting facility. Please know that your comments have not gone unaddressed. We have already communicated to our entire team the level of service that is required of them 100% of the time. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you have a wonderful day! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 5, 2017

This critique is targeted at the Stockton, CA In-Shape corporate office, and not our local gym. Vacaville's In-Shape clubs are wonderful, especially our neighborhood club at Brown's Valley. Our complaint is directed at the billing errors In-Shape's Stockton office has made; namely charging our credit card for monthly dues after we'd already prepaid for the period starting 2-6-17 and ending 2-6-18. I had to spend hours on the phone in April in order for the Stockton office to refund $501.99 to a credit card we used for our 2016 prepaid contract. This meant that In-Shape corporate office retained our credit card data and then made unauthorized charges against it for this current PREPAID membership.

If that's not bad enough, we just received a bill today for $195.99 FOR THE SAME PREPAID MEMBERSHIP!!! We are livid, and ready to contact the Solano County District Attorney. We no longer trust the company to treat us fairly and respectfully. It is absolutely unacceptable that we have to keep contacting the Stockton office regarding this billing error. It begs the question; how many other customers are being double billed for prepaid yearly contracts? Considering the fact that In-Shape had to make restitution of $23 million last year for billing errors and other questionable membership practices, we are surprised that the Stockton office didn't ensure that they'd completely resolved their mistake when they refunded us the $501.99. Maybe this critique will help not just us, but other loyal customers who choose to pay for their membership once a year.

Hello Maggie,

Thank you for the incredible 5-Star review for Rileigh at our Bakersfield Seven Oaks location! We are so happy that you enjoy the facility so much. We hope that you find continued success with us in the near and long-term future! Best -- Kioti F.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I had not been a member of a gym in many years because in the past when I did have a gym membership, I always found an excuse not to go and it always ended up being a waste of money. Rileigh ** convinced me to go in and just look around and so I did and I fell in love with the place because of the variety of things available. I love the exercise classes and the circuit training area.

The only class I do not like is spin and I have attended spin before and loved it. The spin class here and instructor is not very customer friendly, the bike hard to figure out. But overall I am thoroughly enjoying my membership. I see Rileigh almost every time I go in and she always checks on me. I have recommended this place to all my Facebook friends and coworkers!!!

Hi Nicole,

Thank you so much for your review! We truly appreciate it when members take the time to write us about a positive experience, especially when it involves our staff. I will make sure upper management is made aware of the desire to have Kids club open on Sunday. We thank you for sharing and have an incredible day! Best - Kioti F.

Original review: May 4, 2017

The women who work in kid care are all amazing. We miss Elizabeth terribly and can't wait for her to return. Aimee and Dawn are so sweet and caring with my children. I love how they do coloring and activities with them. The ladies at the front desk always greet me with a smile. My only complaint is for the Diamond Club. I expect a few differences than the other clubs. I would love to see kid care open on Sundays for a few hours. I would also love to see easier kid care hours, e.g. 8-12, 2-8. Most kids are winding down for bed by 8 pm. The machines are always repaired quickly.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Hi Sherry,

It was a pleasure speaking with you! Thank you again for sharing your experience and I have forwarded your review to the appropriate personnel, though I hope I have addressed your concerns fully. We wish you success in your fitness journey! Best -- Kioti F.

Original review: April 28, 2017

We signed up for In-Shape and we asked them if they were a part of Silver Sneakers. We are both disabled. We asked the person we signed up with, personal trainers, staff, etc. We even asked if they would let us know when it would be available. Our membership was free under this. They charged us under fraud for 2 years because we found out they DID accept it! We canceled them and they asked us to pay another 30 days. We stopped payment and they even tried to change their name 2x on the routing # to access my account! How dare them!! They owe me money!!

Hello Kelsey,

It was a pleasure speaking with you! I'd like to thank you for the opportunity to address your concerns and correct any inconvenience. Please feel free to contact me anytime.Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you reconsider re-joining In-Shape in the future. Best - Kioti

Original review: April 25, 2017

When I signed up for the Personal Training Sessions, it was made very clear that canceling would be very simple. I knew that I was going to be moving, and it was very important that I would not be charged once I canceled. Four months later I'm still getting charged and I'm not even a member of the gym. When I called to get this taken care of, I was informed that I need to show proof that I moved in the form of change of address to stop the payments. I was informed that once I show proof, I will still be charged for canceling. Customer service was not helpful, because they don't have enough authority to assist in the matter. This is ridiculous, and a scam!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Hi Lloyd,

Thank you for your post. We take pride in our level of service and we try to be as transparent as possible. After further review, we show your membership and your spouse's membership concerns was resolved. Please feel free to contact me directly at memberservices@inshape.com for any future questions or concerns. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you reconsider re-joining In-Shape in the future. Best - Kioti F.

Original review: April 20, 2017

I e-mailed In-Shape in February to cancel my wife and I memberships. I noticed for the last four months money being deducted from my bank account from In-Shape for dues? When I called this morning to find out why the lady had me on hold for over 20 minutes said they had canceled my membership but did not follow through on my wife's? I wanted to rejoin In-Shape in a few months after my knee replacement but now I'm not sure how In-Shape values its members.

Hi Jacob Weyandt,

I apologize for the negative experience you've had with us. After further review, I show your concerns have been fully addressed and an amicable resolution was provided. Please feel free to contact me directly at memberservices@inshape.com for any future questions or concerns. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you reconsider re-joining In-Shape in the future. Best - Kioti F.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Customers beware, staff will misinform you and try to overcharge your bank account. When you call them out on this they will say sorry, but that they can't give you your money back but will credit your account for a future bill. When you tell them what you are looking for they will tell you no problem, but beware, everything is asked about they said no problem and none of it was true. Basically they will charge you for a service they won't provide, then give you the run around with no one actually doing anything. This is my latest email but don't believe anything will come of it, they only care about $ not if they're really providing you with good customer care.

Factual basis uncertain

Hi George,

Thank you for your post. I have attempted to reach you at the telephone I have on file but have been unsuccessful. At your earliest convenience, please email me at memberservices@inshape.com, including the best time you can be reached. I look forward to providing you with a resolution! Best - Andy F.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

In-Shape has been attempting to collect monthly fees after the contract had expired. I have not been there in over a year, that's over $600 in fees for something I never used. And they are still trying to debit my bank account every month. This has got to be illegal, fraudulent activity. Do not do business with this sham of a Health Club!

This gym is really unsafe (Vallejo, Ca Sereno Drive Location). So many robberies & break-ins. I’ve witness this and heard mean stories from other members and employees at front desk… I believe something needs to be done. They need a security guard and better lighting. There is NO lights in the parking lot. There are so many homeless people sitting outside and around the facility even people just smoking weed. There are a lot of people just sitting in their cars even campers that are there everyday I go... I feel really unsafe walking to my car and parking my car in the parking lot. I am almost ready to cancel my membership and go to a safer location with better lighting and possibly security. I hope something can be done. I love this gym and don’t want to leave but my safety is more important.

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Anonymous - It was a pleausre speaking with you and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to address you concerns. As a management team, our commitment is to our members and their experience, while ensuring a clean, friendly, and well maintained and inviting facility. Thanks again for sharing and have an In-Shape Day! Best - Kioti

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I use to like to come here to the Victorville In-Shape because of a certain employee who no longer works the front desk. She was so kind, always saying hello with a name attached to it, but she moved up and my rating is based on the number of times since then coming in this gym. It is sad that not one person acknowledges you with a hello. So many times, it is co-workers talking to one another about meaningless things, not lifting their heads to say a few simple words like "hello", "how are you", "have a great workout" or "have a nice day". How rude is that and at times I just want to walk out because of the constant ignorance from the staff.

In every business, customer service starts at the moment you walk into the establishment. Mother Teresa once said, "Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." So many different people work at the front desk, but kind words don't cost money to speak and you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, and positive words help both the speaker and the person who hears it. You never know what kind of day they are having and it only takes a few words to help their day get better. My goodness, what does it take to stop being so rude?

Another reason I am rating it so low is that I have been hurt in this gym in the last couple of weeks. The first time I was hurt, the staff attended to me, wrote up an incident report but when I asked for ice there was none. In every situation, there should an abundance of ice available no matter how big or small the accident. Just last Sunday, I was hurt again with a racquetball and when I went up front I asked for some ice and the girl says there is none and I asked "why?" She was rude and couldn't give a decent answer and didn't bother to ask me if I was okay. I walked away upset and I think in customer service, you have a unique opportunity to be kind to a variety of people that might be upset or stressed out. By using the right opportunity to speak positive words and phrases into your conversations with everyone can really boost their day.

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Martha Simmons - We appreciate your feedback and thank you for expressing your concerns. Club management is made aware of this issue and there were some unforeseen issues that arose but we are working on an amicable resolution. Again, thank you for your feedback, as we take the necessary steps to correct any deficiencies we may have. Best - Andy F.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

What a shame. Friday December 2, 2016, when I left the gym in the morning the wet sauna was working. I was away from In-Shape for a whole week. As I returned to the gym this morning Monday Dec 12th, guess what, the wet sauna was temporary closed again and a worker was mopping it. He also said it was broken again. Other members told me that on Wednesday Dec 7th, someone had placed a towel where the steam comes out of the pipes inside the wet sauna. He described this person as a ** complected male. Seriously the rules need to be posted in other languages. It is not fair for the ** people to follow rules posted in English when there is no other rules posted for non-English speakers. This is my second complaint to In-Shape Corporate office, I feel that this complaint should be sent again including first letter that was written and sent on November 28, 2016. This makes it the 5th time in 6 months.

As a member of In-Shape located at 285 California St. Woodland, CA, I enjoy my workouts, the classes, pool, wet sauna, hot tub and the staff are very pleasant to be around. My routine has been working out in the mornings, and then returning later in the afternoon, four days a week twice a day. In the five months that my husband and I have been there and have clearly read the rules, I have notice that most of the members do not follow them. I myself had to tell 3 other members not to pour water onto the thermostat in the wet sauna, most of them were Hispanic. I feel if the rules were placed in Spanish and other languages maybe more members would take the time to read them. Also, in these last five months, the Wet Sauna has been closed due to repairs, the first being, to repair the grout, that took about 4 days (meaning wet sauna being closed). The next two times was because of the thermostat being broken. In those times, the wet sauna was closed again for a few days.

On Tuesday Nov, 15, the wet sauna was working that morning and that afternoon when we left. On Wed, 16th, the next day it was temporarily closed, reason ? thermostat again. For the weeks that it was temporary closed, the door was propped open. On Tuesday Nov 22 and Wednesday the 23, during my morning workout, I observed a ** male employee who looked to be the maintenance man walking around the gym with a male child following him. He was going to and from the pool area and into some maintenance closets, absolutely nothing was done with the wet sauna. This is the same man who was there to fix the sauna on the Nov. 28th, in the mid-morning. When we returned in the afternoon the wet sauna was working. The problem there, no one bothered to cleaned it. It smelt of mold, as well the hot tub water was green and it smelt like wet towels and it seems that there is only one worker who takes care of those amenities.

The saunas, pool and hot tub are not closely monitored. There is a male Hispanic man who works out on the exercise machines when we go in the afternoons. He wears black & green clothing, when he is done working out, he comes into the pool area, in his sweaty workout clothes, without showering and gets into the hot tub, then jumps into the pool and then into the wet sauna. He is loud, rude and takes up anyone's else space. He has no respect for elders in the pool. I have seen many other members not following the rules as in wearing street clothes and street shoes into the saunas, using electronics and some even exercise inside of the sauna. I do appreciate this gym, my workouts and its location, although I am not happy with the conditions of the sauna and how it breaks down on a monthly basis. I am not sure if I want to continue my workouts at this gym if this continues to be a problem and not properly taken seriously.

In-Shape Health Clubs

Hi Yyonnie - Thank you for your post. We take all of our reviews serious and would love the opportunity to speak with you further. However, we are unable to locate you in our system. If you will, at your earliest convenience, please email me at memberservices@inshape.com, including your membership/key-card number, telephone number, and the best time to reach you. I look forward to speaking with you soon! Best - Kioti

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

The gym is only cleaned by one mexican guy there at this location. He is very nice. He is always working and doing his job. The women's bathroom shower is always disgusting period. I would never shower there again. The staff stands around and talks entirely too much. The personal trainers have no idea what they are doing. I have observe them all. I would never pay them actual money. That's a joke! Amanda the so-called district manager is very unprofessional. She is never prepare, she doesn't remember people names and she is very rude.The staff never knows where she is located. She also lies to your face. Who hired her? Clearly they need to rethink her being there. Because of her is the main reason why my family is leaving and telling as many people that we can about our experience. The corporate office needs to replace her period.

My family and I will be leaving this horrible gym soon. The perks are laughable. Their spinning wheel is actually just sitting in this one women's office every day all day. The sad thing is she is the worst one from the staff. She looks disgusting every time I see her. She really need to lead by example and use the actual machines. The customer service is just horrible. Why hasn't corporate taken action. By the way my family reach out to corporate. They aren't doing anything about. It's just fine. A new gym by the name of planet fitness is opening up across the street from my home in visalia so the joke is on In-Shape. They are going to be losing a lot of customers so in the end I'm fine with that.

No response received

Good afternoon Wanda,

Thank you for contacting In-Shape Health Clubs, and for bringing this to our attention. I have communicated your concerns to the general manager for feedback and follow up. If you have any additional questions of concerns feel free to email me at memberservices@inshape.com. Thank you for being a loyal member -Michael T.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

I enjoy going to my Aqua Zumba class on Saturdays in Victorville, Ca. In-Shape. On two occasions now, when I arrive to class, it has been canceled due to the pool being dirty. They were aware of it the night before. It would have been nice if they had posted on their website, that the pool would be closed, so we wouldn't have had to make that drive. The attitude at the front desk is, "Oh well sorry". Also, the pool in Palmdale, Ca is closed today.

Factual basis uncertain

Hi Alise,

Thank you for expressing your concerns. Our commitment is to our members and their experience, while ensuring a clean, friendly, and well maintained and inviting facility. Please know your pertinent feedback will be elevated to club management to be addressed. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you reconsider re-joining In-Shape in the future. Best, Andy F.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I joined In-Shape gym 1 year ago. Since joining I had many issues with this gym. The staff is very rude. When you sign in they are too busy having personal conversations on a daily basis. I always had to interrupt to get a towel. Most of the time towels were not available. They claimed they were in wash. Another major issue was wandering children. I have seen kids sleep in the lobby with no adult while I assume parents were working out and left children to sit in lobby. Children wander whole gym all the time. It's a day care but it seems they don't go or are supervised properly. I also came in for a friend to get a free pass on several occasions and every time we were asked to wait for over 20 minutes, each time staff was just wandering around not doing anything. On one occasion I came in and the young lady asked my friend if he wanted on my membership. Shouldn't she have been asking me that since I was the member.

I brought it to her attention and she was very snobby and ignored me altogether. All my friend wanted was a pass. The staff is very unprofessional and rude and disrespectful. Male staff always wander in the cardiovascular room and stare at the women from behind. It's very uncomfortable to be stared at sexually when working out. Not okay. The male staff were never cleaning just staring at all the women from behind. It was never any reason for them to be in the room but everyday they are watching TV and staring at women instead of doing their jobs. The shower room is nasty... always towels on floor and broken shower heads. Lockers were broken on several occasions and not fixed as well. The list goes on with complaints about this Tracy gym. It is not worth $60 a month and I don't suggest you attend this gym. It is horrible and people are so rude there.

I would not recommend this gym to anyone. I also had membership issues in the beginning. They kept saying it was a computer glitch and they would put me on the right contract. I requested but that never happened. The staff turn around is constant which is another issue because no one knows what's going on and has to ask someone else. Do not attend this gym. It is a rip off and looks can be deceiving. The pool was broke for weeks at a time and the hot tub... it was always yellow tape around it so it could never be used. Staff kept telling me it would be open soon but that never happened either. When you complain about the conditions you are told Chuck the manager is never available and always in a meeting which I know wasn't true either. I never did meet Chuck if he was even in the building which I doubt.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for reviewing our club. I would like to provide you with a resolution. Please contact me with your first and last name at memberservices@inshape.com. In the subject line, please add Consumer Affairs. Thank you. I look forward to speaking with you soon! Best, Andy F.

Original review: July 24, 2016

Maintenance is not a top priority in this particular establishment whether it's equipment or cleanliness. In the men's shower rooms the silver baskets that hold your trunks or shampoo bottle have not been replaced nor have the soap dispensers been fixed in two of the shower stalls. The appliance that gyrates swimming trunks off their moisture does not work. We're on the third week with this problem.

Hi Katherine,

Original review: June 11, 2016

Epic fail to your members! I have been a member for over 7 years. The cut backs and management changes are a joke. For the price of membership you would think they would have house keeping and clean facilities. In the last 2 months American Canyon and Vallejo clubs have had minimal classes to take! No spin!!! The only instructor with any personality is Jasmine, and she is hardly there anymore. In-Shape you have gotten too greedy and you have forgotten to think of your members. Would caution anyone looking into In-Shape clubs. Look for smaller non corporate gym to go to.

Hi James,

Original review: June 8, 2016

I have noticed over the last 3 years that there is no one cleaning the gym at In-Shape in Concord. In the cardio room the exposed pipes and ceiling fans have about a 1/2 inch of black dust on them. In another room there is black mold on the HVAC pipes. I have asked the manager about cleaning them but nothing is ever done. I thought going to the gym was to get healthy but here at In-Shape in Concord I worry about my health. Can't something be done to force them to clean this mess?

Hi Pat,

Original review: June 6, 2016

I have had a membership with In-Shape through AARP (United Health Care) for approximately 8 years. This year, 20l6, I had been gone for a while due to illness and decided to return. At that time, I signed up for a personal trainer, being assured I could cancel this at any time. After one month, i.e. February 20l6, I decided to cancel. I talked to In-Shape locally and they said I had to talk with Corporate. I attempted to reach them 10 times, always put on hold, the last time being one and one-half hours. So, I forwarded 8 postcards to addresses in Stockton, which were furnished on website. Since then, they have continued billing my account for $82.50 per month. I changed my debit card. Somehow they were able to obtain new card and/or checking account number and have continued billing me. I have emailed them on many occasions, have talked with AARP and am asking an attorney to write a letter on my behalf.

I am asking my account with them for personal training be closed and, in addition, I am asking for a refund for months of Feb, March, April and May 2016, each in amount of $82.50, i.e. $330.00. In addition, if my request is not granted within 10 days from date Attorney wrote letter, I will request a bit more money for elder abuse, stress and now, unfortunately, I will have to leave Union Bank in order to no longer be charged the $82.50 per month. I have been with Union Bank for 30 years. I feel In-Shape is a scam, it has become dirty, and they prey on senior citizens. I had my training from Nicole, who was great. She was aware that I had cancelled the service, so how can they say I had not cancelled and, in addition, said they refused my cancellation. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on you, In-Shape.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

The first In-Shape Health Club opened in 1981 in Stockton, California. The chain of fitness facilities now includes more than 70 other locations throughout California. The company prides itself on creating a community where people can exercise and work towards a healthier lifestyle.

• Classes: In-Shape clubs offer an extensive variety of group fitness classes to help members get in shape and build a community. Classes include aerobics, yoga, strength training, martial arts and more.
  • 29-Minute Circuit®: Many In-Shape locations have 29-Minute Circuit® studios which include 13 stations. Members proceed through the stations to get both a cardio workout and resistance training.
  • Special offers: New clients can look for seasonal discounts on the In-Shape website. Offers may include free enrollment, discounted membership, deals on personal training or other free or discounted services.
  • Personal training: In-Shape offers personal training for clients looking for one-on-one fitness training and advice. New clients can sign up for a free personal training session through the FitStart Program.
  • Free childcare: Members who put their children on their membership can use In-Shape’s free childcare for up to two hours when the parent or guardian is using the In-Shape facilities. Free childcare is available for children between six months and 12 years old.
  • Best for California athletes, beginners and anyone interested in a healthy lifestyle.

In-Shape Health Clubs Company Profile