1.62/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

947 Gold's Gym Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

As you can see from most of these negative reviews, Gold’s is ** when it comes to customer service and how they working with their customers. The gym, staff, and equipment were fine. But when the time came when I moved addresses and had to cancel my membership, Golds really did everything in their power to avoid confrontation and suck every penny from me. When I first walked into the store to cancel my membership, I was told by one of the staff that my account had been deactivated right then and there, but also that there was a chance that my cancellation fee would be waived if I had contacted their billing agency.

Not only was I denied but they had charged me 2 months it took me to gather all the documents I needed to send to prove my change of address. Second time around that I walked into the gym to speak to a manger about my account, I was assured that my account had already been deactivated 2 months prior when I had walked in to get this done in the first place. The Manager of my gym’s location did nothing but refer me to Gold’s billing agency to get the issue resolved. In the end I was obligated to pay huge fees that I shouldn’t have due to how Gold's handles customer service. Do yourself a favor and stick to 24/LA Fitness. The headache is not worth it!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I belonged to my gym in Knoxville which was taken over from the Rush in 2014-ish. Decent equipment but never any upgrades. They literally changed nothing but paint since they took it over. Machines need to be replaced, tile, bathrooms are a mess. I can't tell if that pool has ever been cleaned. Like really cleaned. I stayed because I could only do what I wanted at this gym for the price. They have almost no competition in the area and it shows.

There was unprofessional staff behavior. They place way too much emphasis on classes and personal training. It has such small space and they like to use it for these boot camp sessions that have maybe 5-6 people in them. Can't stretch or do anything during those times. The other night I couldn't work out in my space because these people decided to create their own Crossfit experience taking up a third of the room in January, the busiest time of the year. They are all about the memberships and not the members. It doesn't matter how many surveys you complete, how many reviews you leave, nothing gets changed because of "corporate." You're stuck watching the same news channels, listening to the same music, and flexing on the same dirty faux grass mat. You watch managers leave and transfer to other Gold's every year because no one seems to be able to stay here. I'm just burned out and I think I have outgrown this gym and this "brand."

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

What a bad experience, these guys are terrible. My contract was over a year ago I've requested multiple times that my membership be cancelled via email and over the phone they say I have to come into a gym and sign a 30 day notice. I haven't been into a gold's in 10+ months. I get a bill for $300 and a threat to send me to collections. They don't make it easy to cancel even when you're month to month, 24 allows you to do this over the phone or on their website. Never signing up with gold's again, at least I can go to a 24 whenever I want, Gold's closes at 9pm, so if I want to avoid the rush I cant.

About to go into my closest Gold's and sign my "30 day cancellation notice" so they squeeze another 30 days worth of payments out of me. Buyer beware, these guys just want to squeeze all the money they can out of you, hence the archaic method to cancel, cancellation should be easily done online just as easy as you can SIGN UP ONLINE, also none of these cancellation terms are disclosed on their online terms and conditions when you go to sign up. Underhanded business practice, I came from 24 hour fitness to Gold's to try it out and I can confidently say after this experience I will not be back and I will post this review on as many outlets as possible to make everyone I can aware of my experience.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I put membership on hold and they continue to charge. I have this cancellation in writing. I have contacted Gold's over 20 times and they continue to charge over 6 months after my cancellation. Really stupid company.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Couple of months ago my wife and I wanted to be a part of a gym, so we went to the gym to see what is required to open up a membership. I spoken with the sales manager about if I open an account and put my wife underneath my account or contract would we be good because I didn't want my wife to have a contract. They said yes but she also has to sign a contract which made no sense.

Until now I have issues in Mexico. I have spoken with ** about my situation and about the miscommunication when I have opened an account with them. I felt like was getting nowhere so I decided just pay $400 which the fee was $200 for each contract. I think they just robbing customers and the states need to put a mystery shopper so they can see what the customer are going through. If I had the power I would demand them to refund all the customers' money back and apologize for their behavior.

To have good business and relationships with customers they need to remove the contract deal and not force them to pay. I won't be visiting Gold's Gyms. Never again and guarantee other customers are not going back to that awful gym. Just be careful with the strong sales tactics where they will push you. Hope this help you guys out and I apologize for my grammar or punctuation due to I was upset. 1016 North Cole Ave, Hollywood, CA 90038 (Gold's Gym location).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was a member of 24 Hour Fitness, and loved that gym. They were bought out by Gold's and I never signed a membership with Gold's. I decide to cancel and the only way to cancel is to go to the gym or a CERTIFIED letter. Now let's think about that, they want you to go to the gym because they want to talk you into staying and I bet this guilt trip works with many members, or you can take time out of your day and write a letter, which is really an outdated form of communication these days, in order to cancel. Why can't you call? Why can't you email? Because it makes it too easy for the members!!!

Now they are continuing to bill you, and they are like bullies keeping you as a member. I called to try to cancel and the MANAGER of the gym was rude, and obviously didn't care at all, which goes to show you what they are really like, and then right before he hangs up on me, he tells me to go ** myself. TRUE STORY!!! I strongly don't recommend this gym ever! I have signed up with a much better gym, month to month, cancel anytime! Oh and why do they not have any corporate numbers? LOL. Think about it before you sign. The lady that calls you asking for payment can't even help you cancel but she wants your money, and then when you tell her you need to cancel, she literally huffed and puffed over the phone. She said she's the only person in the cancellation department. LOL. They are all rude, while the CEO sits back and collects big checks and doesn't obviously care about turning this company into a real customer friendly gym.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Someone stole my son's car from here and the gym told us they would cooperate with the police officer but after we left they decided not to allow him to view the footage. Due to not allowing after he said he would has delayed the process of seeing whom possibly did this and locating car. I don't understand why they are not cooperative.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Membership with Gold's Gym is one of the worst exp I ever had in my life. I had some physical injuries after doing training with them. They did not account anything on that and on top of it they said they cannot cancel the membership even after I provided letter from doctor stating that I cannot continue workout. The customer care rep said they don’t care about that. They care only 30-day cancellation policy and they threatened me that they will go to collection if I did not pay the fee whether I use it or whether I am fit enough to continue or not.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was forced to join Gold's Gym when they bought the Rush. The took a great, well run Gym and ruined it; all the while bragging about their legacy. When I quit, they said, "Nobody may have told you this, but we only process cancellation every 31 days," so I would have to pay for this month and the following month. I explained that this was not in my signup contract and had no intention of paying. I saved my cancellation document and suggest everyone who is quitting do the same.

I cancelled my credit card and got a barrage of emails and cell call messages saying that my membership was in jeopardy (after I quit over 2 months ago). The emails have the address noreply@goldsgym.com so you can't contact them. I did call up headquarters and once again explained and they said they would "escalate this issue". I'm still getting emails and cell phone recordings. This is one of the sorriest and sleaziest outfits I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

After being a good standing member for 2 years then my mom became ill. I had to go to Wimberley to help her. She passed 1 year later. Since there were no Gold's Gyms in Wimberley I notified Gold's. They specifically said since I was a good standing member I was welcome back without the initiation fees. Untrue! All they did was try and come up with any excuse to make me go through the initiation process with fee after fee. Do not Recommend! I have a complaint with the BBB but I doubt it will amount to changing their multiplicative moves.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I requested to cancel my membership (Gold's Richmond VA) following the guidelines to the letter required by their contract of which I had to REQUEST a copy, since the one they emailed at contract signing never appeared. Everything we verbally agreed upon prior to signing didn't occur (which I was unaware, not having any documentation). They have refused to cancel even though I followed their guidelines. I am in the process of taking legal action due to fraudulent marketing practices and misleading information about personal training. I have found out my personal trainer has zero accreditation or professional certification in the industry.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Been trying to join Gold's off and on for 4 years now. Either me or the Rep is always busy to get a meeting. I tried to join via the website but could not even do that. It does not work. They want to upsell so bad, that they are now losing money because of it. I know 4 other people that did not join because they could not get a scheduled meeting. So sad.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I called the Gold's Gym in Simi Valley to inquire on membership deals. I spoke to Sean who gave me all the info I needed. When I mentioned to him that I needed some time to think, he hung up on me! Even though I had explained to him that I was moving back to LA and needed something more cheaper, and that I would call him back, he was so pushy and kept insisting that I sign up. I understand that he has a quota to fill and even though I was not ready to sign up today, I would have called him back by Friday. He was rude, pushy and just the fact that he hung up, I will not use their services.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

After paying them for over 7 years after my contract expired, the credit card that they were used expired. I thought that they would just deny me access to their facility, but apparently the monthly charges continued to accrue, and I got a bill from a debt collector for over $300. I was told that you have to call and cancel your subscription, otherwise you will continue to be filled. The only relief that I got was they dropped the late fees. Will never use them again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have owned a family membership for over 10 years. First and foremost, I would have continued to be a member and continued the membership with Gold's fit for my son and husband. You had a promotion for trainer membership for a number of sessions. My son is training to join the Air Force and needed to be fit. I signed up with the explanation that my son would be learning about nutritional meals, 3D scans at the start to show progress. He would train 2 times a week and unlimited Gold's fit sessions and he explained the value of paying for monthly sessions not number of sessions. All for a total of $567 a month. I asked for them to charge the 3 months to be sure that it was the total amount. But he said that it was a better value to do it monthly.

Well it did not happen. He had only 1 3D session, the agreed time of session was changed and canceled some. We gave it the 3 month time I signed up for and decided to sign my husband and son to only the Gold's fit. As we were canceling the membership they wanted us to pay another $567. I don't understand if when I signed up I made it clear what I was looking for and my membership and my daughters was cancelled. We did not agree to that. I spoke to Gustavo ** and although he was calm, his response was he would cancel and send me to collections. Over 10 years of membership! I asked to speak to corporate and his response is that the complaint will come to him so no need. I asked for the district manager. He would not give me the name. He assured me he would pass on the complaint. We will see.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I cancelled my membership online in December yet they continued to bill me for 3 more months. I disputed it with my credit card company and they charged Gold's Gym back for the 3 months. Later on, the gym I signed up with decided to credit my card so I cancelled my dispute with my bank and the bank credited Gold's Gym back on 4/10/18 for those 3 months, thus ending my dispute and resolving all matters to my satisfaction.

It is now September 2018 (5 months later) and I'm getting automated emails and calls saying that my membership payment method needs updating and that I need to pay for my membership. MY MEMBERSHIP WAS CANCELLED IN DECEMBER OF 2017!!! I also have a collection agency calling me! UGH! No luck in emailing either. I emailed them a copy of my statement showing the charges that were given back to Gold's Gym and that we are squared PLUS I have another $20 charge this month on my statement from them for who-knows-what. Nobody can give me a phone number to talk to a live agent. What do they want from me as further proof???

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I cannot even give 1 star to this gym. When I joined as a member, I was worried about the cancellation because I already knew I would move to other state. However, a staff who was working on my contract said that there would any problem to cancel the membership any time. That was why I joined as a Gold's Gym member. I have been tried to cancel membership very many times but they make so many excuses. I have tried to cancel the membership for 3 months, but they still do not cancel my membership. I am too exhausted about this cancellation process. I am wasting so much time. I never go back to Gold's Gym or recommend this gym to other people. I think that Gold's Gym has a problem with cancelling process.

Also, the staff who was working on my contract did not explain in detail. Their business style is very bad. I am very shocked about their business mind because this is a gym which should have health mind than other companies. I can tell this gym is the worst among gyms I have experienced. I never believe them anymore because they make too many excuses. Also, I do not understand why they charge automatically without my agreement. They are so rude.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I first joined Gold's in November 2014. It was a smaller location and express but I was fine with this as I don't need to pay for extra amenities. I joined because I wasn't feeling challenged at a local women's only gym and although I was intimidated about working at a gym known more for bodybuilding, the manager at the time assured me everyone was there doing their thing and I would be okay.

I started doing cardio in the cinema room which was really neat. He showed me around and I signed up on the spot. In summer of 2015 I incorporated lifting into my workouts and the gym really helped me meet my goals especially after they got a 2nd squat rack and moved the equipment around to where there was space to do barbell walking lunges and other exercises where space was needed. Now there is a Planet Fitness across the street and although some of my colleagues have left, I still plan to stay with Gold's. I usually go in the morning so it's not as crowded as after work.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was a member of this gym for over 4 years. I cancelled my membership when I moved out of town and the gym continued to bill me after cancelling. I will never do business with these folks again. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

BEWARE- SCAMMERS. Fraudulent Charges. The management at this gym are completely unresponsive, rude and complicit in fraudulent charges to credit cards. Note I paid extra at this gym for a "no-contract option". When my credit card expired they charged me 117% biweekly late fees for 2 months. When I went to settle the account for the monthly fees due, they charged me over $180 for less than two months. When I told them that was outrageous and requested a refund they told me that was against their corporate policy. The manager also told me that I needed to learn to suck up to her or she would refuse to stop charging my credit card. She said she would "get back to me" but the gym did not get back to me...

I called the gym back repeatedly over a 3 month period, 11am, 5pm, 7pm and the manager was "never there" according to front desk staff. The gym did not get back to me... When I contacted corporate Gold's, they confirmed this is NOT their policy and that this local gym would get back to me to resolve these fraudulent charges. The local gym did not get back to me...

3 months after I physically turned in my signed cancelation notice to my "no contract account," I received an email from Gold's indicating that they had finally received my cancelation notice and that they would continue to bill my account for 2 more months before stopping. When I called the gym to have these charges removed, there was no manager available and they did not get back to me. I submitted more emails, and they did not get back to me.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Well maintained and well equipped. The minimal cost per month allows my membership and possibility to keep in shape. The cleanliness is exceptional and all of staff are always courteous and friendly.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Management removed the only machine that actually helped with my lower back pain, and the only machine that has no equivalent. Manager not understanding and not interested.

Original review: June 5, 2018

They have a staff of personal trainers and the sessions are affordable. There are nutrition products and small stores for supplies. At most facilities there is a swimming pool and hot tub. At the Legacy Trails near my home there is a basketball court and two racquetball courts. All of the facilities have lockers rooms and showers. I am greeted by the desk staff when I arrive and they wish me a nice day and thank you when I leave. Ample free parking. Child care center for those with small children. I have witnessed on several occasions older children working out WITH their parents.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I got RIPPED $1159.00! I signed up at the gym on 01/24/2013 cause I suffer from Ankylosing spondylitis so therefore I added a 24 class of PT on 01/27/13 to help me workout properly cause of my spinal disorder, so I got 1 class with him and then I was gonna go for the 2nd class but unfortunately The PT quit or got relocated, cause of that my policy got cancelled, and then I got another agreement on 05/31/2014. A 5 pack for $299 which I paid in full and took those classes with another PT.

SO on 02/06/2018 I paid my monthly gym fee $54 with my debit and the next day the gym withdraw $1159.00 stating it's for 24 pack classes I requested in 08/04/2016 which I never preauthorized the payment and never even signed up for, so I took this matter with the GM at the branch and he went through his database and he couldn’t find this agreement and said, "This looks fishy. Something is wrong," so he called the corporate to solve the issue by crediting my money back to my acct, which they did. And on 04/30/2018 the bank called me and stating that the gym is gonna withdraw the amount all over again so I don’t know how to fix this issue and it’s very frustrating especially in my condition and I even stopped going there and signed up in LA Fitness and hope for better environment.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I had been doing Gold’s boot camps for months and thought per their website and advertisements they were led by trained or certified coaches. In March, during a class outside on Gold’s property the coach set up an agility ladder in a hole. I was unfortunately the first one in the group to go that night (twisted ankle and strain calf). Her negligence cost me missed work, medical bills, etc. I asked the manager if Gold’s would help cover some of the medical bills/expenses and the answer was no. We workout at our own risk is what he explained to me. I paid extra for Boot Camp and it was not at all what I thought I was getting. I expected a coach to show me how to workout and how to properly use equipment without getting hurt. I couldn’t work out for a month and the manager knew it but wouldn’t even credit that. Gold’s only cares about monthly dues not their members!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

The managers here are people friendly, especially Eric and the GM **. The Body Pump class with Hugo is rewarding as is the Water Fitness class with Susan and Sarah. There are over 30 Gold's Gyms in town but we prefer the Lockhill Village location.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Gold's is a real gym, the others are "fitness centers". I was a member of 24 Hour Fitness for years and the price kept going up and up. They hired a security guard and would not tell me why, the staff rarely was friendly or even spoke to me. At Gold's I feel really comfortable and welcome and the staff is great as well as the equipment and the price is phenomenal.

Original review: May 30, 2018

It’s very convenient and there’s multiple locations on my way home from work. Most of the gyms are pretty clean. The hot tub is the perfect size on Cedar Creek in Cedar Park, Texas but not hot enough. This seems to be a problem at most Gold's. But they have a good variety of equipment which I really like.

Original review: May 15, 2018

A few years back I had signed up for Gold's Gym. Went two times in the beginning and then told them I wanna cancel my membership. They told me it was all set and canceled. Later on I got a call saying I owed them after I thought everything was squared off. At least that's what I was told. I went in and they told me I owe I believe it was about 500.00. Have to go in my files and get the paperwork. I went in and the guy told me if I sign this paper and open a new account he will take off the bill and tell collections. Collections called me many times and every time I went back to Gold's Gym and they told me that everything is all set. I don't owe anything.

Stopped by there 1 last time and he told me to pay 15.00 and the account is closed. Ok. Last week after a year the collection agency called me about it. Told me they need proof. I went back to Gold's Gym and the guy tells me I got 2 accounts and I owe over 1000.00??? How is that possible? I went to the gym two times for 2 hrs the most and this is the outcome. He told me if I make a new membership with him and stay active for 3 months he will delete the Bills. So I paid 150.00 on Mother's Day. The same day my newborn child was born with a low income as is all 'cause I can't afford to pay them 1200.00 for something I never encountered. Now I got to pay 150.00 for the 3 months just to get them to hopefully keep their word this time and stop charging me and messing up my credit for something I never go to. I feel like they hustled me.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Prices changed on classes. My contact was up so cancelled in Jan but they didn't cancel in timely matter. I was told last payment on 2/16/18, nope, two more payments came out in March. I have called several times and getting runaround, here we are in mid May no answer when. Bad business. They need their money to run a business and I paid but don't care. I am retired and need my money too.

Gold's Gym expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Gold’s Gym was founded in 1965 in Venice, California. After being featured in a bodybuilding documentary in 1977 starring Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gold’s Gym gained popularity and expanded internationally. It now has over 700 company-owned and franchise locations in 38 states and 28 countries.

• Fully equipped: Gold’s Gym built its reputation through a commitment to functional, state-of-the-art equipment. It continuously updates its fitness equipment and programs to reflect the latest developments in the fitness industry and exercise science.

• Group exercise options: Gold’s Gym offers many fitness classes, including popular options like spin class, mixed martial arts, Zumba, Pilates, yoga and more.

• Personal trainers: Gold’s Gym employs certified personal trainers to help customers plan fitness programs and meet goals. You can work with a trainer one-on-one or in group training sessions.

• Child care area: Customers who have children may appreciate Gold’s Gym’s child care areas. Kids can participate in supervised activities, crafts and games while parents and caregivers exercise.

• Express locations: While most Gold’s Gym locations are large, fully-appointed fitness centers, the company recognizes that some customers prefer a smaller, less intimidating workout experience. The new Gold’s Gym Express is a no-frills, basic gym for those who prefer a fast, simple workout. There are currently ten Express locations with plans to open more.

• Best for: athletes, fitness buffs and novices.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs