Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.65/5

968 Gold's Gym Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Management instructed employees to purposely fake email addresses so that if or when you cancel your membership they will ignore the request because after they search your email upon cancellation, it will not exist in their files so they will ignore it and then be able to receive extra monthly dues while you are unaware they did not receive your notice. I filed complaint with BBB and went through process with the facts and Gold's still after the complaint that I filed 2 months ago are still billing me. I went back and forth with manager and she is well aware I moved out of state and that she and her employee lied and were caught in that lie and still are billing me.. RIDICULOUS. I WILL BE FILING A POLICE REPORT IN THE LOCAL CITY AS SOON AS I RETURN HOME FROM A BUSINESS TRIP.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

If I could give Gold’s zero stars I would. They are great when you’re a member. But I went to cancel my membership because the Maryville location had closed. The employee said I didn’t need to cancel my membership and that it would transfer over to National fitness; I just had to go over there. I have now been charged for three months unbeknownst to me.

After being charged two months, I noticed. I was told, contradicting what the employee initially said, that my home location wasn’t Maryville, so yes I did need to cancel and no they would not refund me due to their employee’s incompetence. They assured me I would not be charged for August. And lo and behold, I was charged again. They said I wouldn’t be refunded because it takes 30 days to cancel. So I wouldn’t ever recommend anyone going to Gold’s because if you ever have any issues or need to cancel, they only care about the money and not the customer. Shout out to Phil at Walker Springs location for listening to me rant. But the company still would rather keep the money they got as a result of their employee’s error instead of refund a customer that should have never been charged to begin with...

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Like everyone else I joined the gym believing all it took to cancel it was walking in the gym to cancel it, which I did. A year later I notice the charge was still on my card and of course I asked my CC to stop those payments. Thought I was done. The beginning of the nightmare. I am a homeowner, a professional mother who never missed a payment (mortgage, student loan, car note.... never). My "debt" was sent to collection, never answer random numbers. Their next move, a derogatory remark on my credit history. The score goes down by 38 points. Yes the gym membership can do that. Now am between the so called billing manager, a debt collection agency, not even positive my credit will be fixed. Run for your life!!

Original review: July 12, 2019

When I joined this gym, they told me that it is an easy step to cancel the membership but they don't do cancellations in the gym, they gave me a wrong email where I sent the cancellation details. They called me and said that they would wait until they receive the leasing agreement. I sent leasing agreement, and they called me and asking me to pay off 3 months membership fee. I forwarded both emails and they said that they did not receive the initial email and somehow I did not receive the confirmation for second email. They still demanded to pay off the gym membership fee for three months and they don't understand the leasing agreement. This is **. I asked them to call the apartments to find out. Still they are not ready to do that and want to take membership fee continuing without considering customers. Please DO NOT JOIN GOLD'S GYM. It is the worst of all.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Complaint against Gold Gym Country Hills. My husband got membership last year in September. After that he got a gallbladder surgery and so he couldn’t continue. So this year he transferred the membership to my name for which he had to pay as well! However due to some reasons now I'm not able to continue with it and want to end the membership but when my husband went to ask to cancel the membership he is told he signed a 3 yr contract???

NOBODY, I say NOBODY informed him about this 3 year contract at the time of getting the membership as he wasn’t looking to sign such a long contract at the first place!!!! If he would have been conveyed about this 3 yrs term he wouldn’t have gotten the membership! Country Hills gym is a total scam and I am going to report it to the Consumer Protection of Alberta about its unethical practices as well! It's totally unethical to ask for 200$ for cancellation!! Nobody should be a victim of this Gym.. I'm going to make everybody aware of how these guys are ripping off people without their consent!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: May 15, 2019

I reached out to the gym and their manager to let them know that I’ve been overcharged. They found the charges erroneous but they said I waited too long to bring it to their attention so I would not be getting a refund. It was a little less than a month later because I had used their website to complain about it first. Very angry about this.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The staff members are rude and does not provide you with information when you register then lie to say they advised you on the day of registration. Read and ask questions when you go to register at Gold's Gym. Especially their parking and they refuse to want to speak to you after making a complaint. They refuse to accept their mistakes of not informing us of registering our car details everytime we attend the gym. They expected you to know by reading their banners. Management and services are poor.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have struggled with my weight since I was thirteen years old. Never had anyone to tell me not to eat this or workout like this to stay fit and healthy. All through high school I was overweight. Never had a boyfriend, never got picked when choosing teams, and never went to prom. After going off to college, my weight hit an all-time high. Losing my grandmother and my grades pumping down. I dropped out due to my mom needing help after my grandmother's funeral. I got a decent job and decide it was time to make a change. I joined our local gym after I saw the ad ten dollars a month. I had lost 30 pounds in 6 months. I had started dating my now fiance. After a year I had lost 60 pounds and I found out I was pregnant. I called to cancel my membership but the lady on the phone said I had to come in and cancel my membership. When that weekend came up I went in, filled out the paperwork and my member was canceled.

A year later after having my baby, I receive a letter in the mail saying that I owe two hundred dollars for a membership that should have been cancelled about two years ago. I was thinking this has got to be a mistake so I called the local Gold's gym. I explained my membership should have been cancelled over two years ago. She says,"there nothing in our system about you cancelling your membership and you owe one hundred dollars and forty-five cent and much more. It says here you haven't been here in seven hundred days. That's why your account is so high". "Look I came to your facility and filled out paper and everything. Obviously, I have been there in almost three years. I didn't know my account was still open". "Well, there nothing in the system about you cancelling. There's nothing I can do". This is just another story of the rich preying on the poor.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I lost my debit card, so I had to cancelled it. When I went to Gold’s Gym to give them my new debit card info, they had already the info!! Wonder how they found the new information (they couldn't tell me how) and why they used it without my authorization! I was told that this is a FRAUD! Of course I ended up cancelling my membership. Not going there anymore.

Original review: March 25, 2019

In January, I brought in a new debit card. However, my January payment didn't go through. Figured this meant our no commitment agreement (which they are now calling a contract) was void. I stopped going, obviously. Only now I apparently owe for three months, due to their error in entering my new account information. Won't even work with me on making smaller payments.

Gold's Gym expert review by Joey Thurman

Gold’s Gym was founded in 1965 in Venice, California. After being featured in a bodybuilding documentary in 1977 starring Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gold’s Gym gained popularity and expanded internationally. It now has over 700 company-owned and franchise locations in 38 states and 28 countries.

• Fully equipped: Gold’s Gym built its reputation through a commitment to functional, state-of-the-art equipment. It continuously updates its fitness equipment and programs to reflect the latest developments in the fitness industry and exercise science.

• Group exercise options: Gold’s Gym offers many fitness classes, including popular options like spin class, mixed martial arts, Zumba, Pilates, yoga and more.

• Personal trainers: Gold’s Gym employs certified personal trainers to help customers plan fitness programs and meet goals. You can work with a trainer one-on-one or in group training sessions.

• Child care area: Customers who have children may appreciate Gold’s Gym’s child care areas. Kids can participate in supervised activities, crafts and games while parents and caregivers exercise.

• Express locations: While most Gold’s Gym locations are large, fully-appointed fitness centers, the company recognizes that some customers prefer a smaller, less intimidating workout experience. The new Gold’s Gym Express is a no-frills, basic gym for those who prefer a fast, simple workout. There are currently ten Express locations with plans to open more.

• Best for: athletes, fitness buffs and novices.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Gold's Gym Company Information