3.55/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 6, 2017

902 Gold's Gym Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have NEVER belonged to Gold's Gym Santa Barbara - yet every 2 months I receive a voice message that my credit card expired and I need to call the Goleta or downtown gyms to update my credit card. When I call the manager to complain, they check, apologize and then ask me if I want a week at the club to make it up to me! I NEVER said yes. Is this a tactic to bring in new business? Disgusting and unethical. Such a hassle for me to keep calling them back. They never stop!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have a month-to-month membership to Gold's Gym. I have called the gym to cancel my membership and was told that only the manager can cancel the membership. I've called and emailed the manager, but have not had any reply. It's now passed the 30 day notification. This is unacceptable. It's like Gold's Gym does not want it to be easy to cancel. I will not recommend anyone to Gold's Gym.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My husband and I are members at Gold's Gym on Danforth and Santa Fe in Edmond Oklahoma and have been for many years. I am 6 months pregnant and wanted to maybe use the Gold's on Memorial because my friends use the gym. We went in to possibly upgrade on 09/20/2017 at around 8:00 PM from a one club membership to an all club when Simon ** sat my husband and I down and tried to pressure us to cancel our current memberships and start all over with a processing fee and initiation fee as well. He said he could waive the initiation fee but we had to pay for the first and last month again. I told him it sounded a little shady so he told us if we didn't sign up again we could get out of his club or pay a day fee?

We are already members and I would have liked to try the club out and then upgrade to an all club membership but instead I left the club in tears because of how he treated us. He was very aggressive with me and made me feel scared to even see him again. He has some scary tattoos all up and down his arms that he showed off to intimidate us and used a very stern voice while he was grinding his teeth talking to us. I felt like we could have been attacked by this man if we didn't leave. I've working in HR before and this man is by far the worst person I have ever talked to. He should not be representing your company at all and is going to be the downfall of this club.

I know over 50 people that take classes and use that gym. I was invited by my girl friend to come and check it out and this very unprofessional maniac kicked us out. Even the front desk guy was confused when we were leaving because we came in and told him we are here to use the gym and upgrade. I really hope you handle this problem because a cancer like this can and will destroy your reputation in our community. Word of mouth spreads very fast. Simon ** is a very bad person who only cares about money and getting a sale. He looked at us like his paycheck that he needs very bad and seemed very desperate. We are definitely not going back if he still works for your company and we will tell all of our friends about our experience.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I signed up for a year with Gold's Gym in TX, went for a couple of months and then stopped going. No big deal, just lost interest but understood I would be charged for that full year and was fine with it. Per my online account my contract ended in June 2017. Turns out as an added 'convenience' they go month to month after your contract ends and you physically have to come in and cancel your account. It is now September and I have been paying them for nothing since June. They will not refund this, AND, when I went in to cancel they are still going to charge me another payment to complete the full month. In summary, these people are the worst and this is as close to scam as a service can be, at least in my opinion.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I went to a Gold's Gym on Patton Ave. in Asheville. I was directly lied to about how my information was to be used by the front staff (even before I joined the gym). They were overly nice and sticky sweet. I joined on a no-contract offer and signed on with 4 sessions of personal training at $63 a piece with a trainer called Kyle. He did not, at that time, disclose to me that he had given his two weeks, and that the sessions were nonrefundable. The two sessions I had were not helpful, I basically just paid for a print off and that initial motivation that gets you to come in once a week. The day of our third session he texted me and to cancel due to family emergency. Then, after a week of asking around, I found out he had left that gym. That would have been ok, but because he had terminated without communicating that to his clients, or that no other member on the Gold's Gym staff sought to inform said clients, showed lack of corporate integrity.

Finally, after 3 weeks, the manager came out and told me there is no refund or transference of the last two weeks of sessions. I could gift them to someone or use them myself, that was all. She also had no way to give me a third party's another Gold's Gym staff member to contact, that of which is hardly credible. Gold's Gym doesn't care about you, your personal fitness goals, or their corporate integrity. Good luck and avoid the training sessions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: July 27, 2017

I saw a great ad in the paper for a great deal at Gold's Gym in Fayetteville N.C. 19.99 a month for a 1 year contract. Great, I went to the gym and was warmly received by the sales person Lauren. She gave me the basic info on the gym. All good. Then she introduced me to the manager Antonio. He was asking me some questions about what I was looking to achieve with the working out. It seemed like basic questioning. Then he proceeded to tell me about the personal training that was available at the gym. It sounded at first like it was free so he had my attention. Mind you it has been years since I have been to a gym of any kind. I told him I could use some help at first using some of the machines to make sure I was using them correctly. He said "Absolutely. Would you like to work with a woman or a man trainer" and I said, "A man." "Great!!!"

Then he starts telling me about how much this will cost and I about choked. 50 dollars an hour was the going rate and I said, "No way. I can't afford that." So a negotiation ensued. I said, "Ok I will use the service once a week for a month at a cost of 100 dollars." That is half an hour once a week plus 1 free hour. So in total 3 hours total or about 33 dollars per hour. Mind you this is my first visit to the gym and I was a little uncomfortable just being there. Next thing I know I am signing what I thought was my 1 year membership to the gym agreement but what I was really signing was a one year agreement with the personal trainer for a total of 1200 dollars. I should have paid more attention.

So I went through the 3 hours total with Dwann who was very good and I thanked him. He then was surprised because he thought he was going to continue with me for 1 year. I told him that I only agreed to the 3 hours and he went to his computer and said I would be billed another 100 dollars on the 21st of each month for a year. I approached Antonio and he said he couldn't do anything and he gave me a card with the number to call. They said I could not cancel unless I moved or had a medical situation. Bottom line is verbally what we talked about was 1 month and I got stuck for one year which is deceptive practice. Everybody related to the gym are acting like robots on this issue. Nobody will lift a finger to help me. I will keep fighting this until I get fixed!!!

Original review: July 26, 2017

Don't assume that this is a "standard" contract. They have it written so unfairly you almost need a lawyer to get out of it. If you don't play by their rules, they threaten to destroy your credit. Of course Golds Gym will tell you that these are the policies of ABC Financial who administers the contract. Don't feel that you are safe because there are Gold's Gyms all over the place so they must be doing something right. Yes, you can eventually get out of the contract but they make it so difficult that you're tempted to just keep paying the fee. I will NEVER do business with Golds Gym and if you see any reference to a company called ABC Financial, RUN AWAY!

Original review: July 10, 2017

You know when I was starting up I said to the guy, one year only! But I ended up being in a 3 year contract. I let it go no big deal. Here I am going to the gym up until the point where I'm moving so I try to give them a notice and ask them to cancel my membership. THIS IS WHERE ** GOT REAL. Horrible customer services and to top it off they didn't want to cancel my gym membership, even when I bloody show them proof of me leaving. They still didn't want to accept that.

To all who are thinking about signing up for this gym, do not and I mean do not sign up for this bs. It's a giant big scam. They love you until you want to leave. Then it feels like you are **, the way they treat you. This is just a complete joke. How can I be charge for something I do not bloody own even when I am not even there to use it. Ridiculous!!! Never miss a payment, not once! This Gold's Gym company or whatever they are is just one giant big scammers out to get your money. What kind of place stops someone from leaving when it's there money. People do not avoid the warning. Just stay away from this gym. Jesus, I had a better experience from Retro than this ** place.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I became a member for 4 months then I had to cancel my membership because I was moving to different city which was 1 hr 30 min away from Phillipsburg, NJ. So, the Gold Gym staff gave me a number to call to cancel my acct which I did call and managed to do a stop payment on my credit card. Those people told me that they will email me the details of what things to provide them to 100% cancel the acct. I waited and they never emailed me (probably that is the way to suck us in the scam) and due to my move to different city I forgot to call them back and changing address etc. After 3 months I started receiving phone calls from Credit Service people that I didn't paid bills to Gold's Gym, $430 and Gold's Gym moved my acct to Credit Service.

I was so not happy so, I called Phillipsburg Gym to complain them why I am receiving phone calls from Credit Service. The manager (Donna) tells me that I didn't pay attention so I have to deal with this matter and writing me in a email. "Best of luck" (Really?) This is how Gold's Gym treat their customers. I don't know why even they are still in business. They are the worst company. FYI I am not going to pay $430. Gold's Gym are the biggest scammers after the IRS fake scammers in United States of America. I wish this company closes down or change the management. Train the staffs how to treat their customers. Customers should never have to deal with Credit company at first. I even sent a mail through USPS hard copy of a dispute charge letter. I and my wife totally hate Gold's Gym anymore.

Original review: July 5, 2017

Gold's Gym sends out promotional offers that do not reflect to actual membership dues. Example - "Join for 19.87 per month + Bring a Friend Free for 1 Year." Beware. This ad does not tell you that there is an additional annual fee. As a side note - You'll also pay a daily or monthly fee for child care. As for the free friend - I'm betting they get hounded to pay, based on the point of sales experience I've had twice now.

Original review: July 5, 2017

It’s so disappointing to see that I not the first person that Gold’s Gym has been stealing money from. At the beginning everything was perfect. Loved the gym. The staff was great but after I was 6 months pregnant I stopped going to the gym therefore my husband decided to cancel my membership since I was under his account. Well they said everything was taken care of, but guess what I was wrong after 6 months of supposedly canceling the membership I receive a letter saying they have been trying to contact me with no luck which that was such a lie. No phone calls at all... after I tried calling corporate it would send me to Gold’s Gym location.

I went so spoke to manager. No help at all. He said I had to call the number it appears on the collections letter. Let him know that's what I did but keeps sending me to him which he did not help at all. Tried explaining in detail still no help. Said I still appear as open account and even if I didn't went to work out. He can't do anything. Let him know I never received phone calls that if they would’ve contacted me the first month they notice I didn't pay they should’ve called me since I am really strict with my payments. Said he was sorry but couldn't do anything. And I don't know what to do now. No email. Can't speak to corporate. I will make sure to tell people about Gold’s Gym. And won't stop until I take them to court since they keep on doing this to people... I need them to contact me before I get a hold of my lawyer.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Have been going to 2 different Gold's Gyms for over 3 months now. The one on the expressway in Oklahoma City mostly. I had noticed for a week that the bathroom showers were out of soap. The first time I let it go. A week went by and went back that next Monday night. Still to my surprise the showers were still out of soap. I had gone to the front desk and made mention to them that the showers needed soap. The lady working said she would let her manager know. I said ok. So I went back a 3rd week still the same crap bathrooms still out of soap. I went to the front desk again said the same thing.

The lady said the same thing back. She would let her manager know. It sounds like the people at this gym do not give a crap about their jobs or the people who go there. If I have to mention soap one more time I won't be nice about it any longer. 3 weeks without soap is too long. It should of been done the 1st time I said something. If you all don't have the staff to get the job done then you all need to hire some people willing to do their job.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I cancelled my membership because I moved. They started charging me again a few months later saying I "verbally agreed to start up a contract". I got hung up on several times and given the run around so I had to work through my bank to dispute the charge. Apparently it is very common.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Do not join this gym! They claim it's month to month but that's simply not true. You need to know 3 months in advance, if you'd like to leave. They'll nickel and dime you all the way out the door, including, paying an annual fee that you have no intention of using because you just quit. This gym is the worst and Carrie is condescending and unwilling to help. She appears to be the manager or owner. Not a good business person. She'd rather $100 now than have your business later on down the road. STUPID!!!

Original review: June 9, 2017

My husband and I signed up for Gold's Gym Membership In Clermont, FL through their promotion in early May 2017. We went there about 3 times within that month. We realized our kids were not comfortable with their accommodations and neither did we. On June 5, 2017 I went to cancel membership, spoke with General Manager, who told me to send request via email to him and then he would forward request to corporate. The manager went on to say he would reply to me the same day or next day with an update. I did as he suggested and yet to receive any update.

On June 9, 2017 Gold's Gym deducted membership services, plus, the cost was higher than what we saw on the flyer. This prompt us to call the gym to resolve the issue. I requested to speak to the manager. A staff member told us he was addressing an issue and couldn't come to the phone. She began to screen us intensively and promise to give us a call back after we insisted to speak to the manager.

We waited for a while, call back, and requested to speak to manager, this time, we got him on the phone. We explained to him what we have experienced and seek to get some assistance with how to reverse the transaction. He was very unprofessional and lack the knowledge of customer service. We requested to speak to corporate, he added that, the best way to reach corporate was through email and there is an area manager but he can't give out her number. This leave me to think that people like us are just suckers and not of any value to their business. ANOTHER VALUABLE LESSON WELL LEARNT!!!

Original review: June 9, 2017

GOLDs GYM VALENCIA #goldsgymvalencia #goldsgym would give them a -10 rating if I could. I signed up for a month to month NO CONTRACT deal before they opened up and paid first and last. A few month in I canceled through their corporate office and as per paperwork I stopped payments and thought I was done with them. A few month later some guy calls me and demands payments on my account. I told him, I canceled through their corporate office per email and phone conversation month ago. He said that was not valid and I had to come in to cancel... There was a certain "process". I told him I was month to month, I canceled period. Periodically he would call again and I kept saying the same thing and told him to stop harassing me. Long story short, they sent my "account" to Collection with a $200 balance... Seriously? It's a month to month for $26 and I paid last month. Total crooks!!!!

Original review: June 8, 2017

Been going to Gold's Gym and training myself for over a year and a half. I was going to get a trainer for like 8 sessions. Come to find out they charge 90 dollars for every half hour session. Ridiculous so I told them I'll get back to them. Now every week they keep asking if I want a trainer. I said no not paying 90 dollars every half hour. Trainers are bored not getting enough clients. Well geesh look at the cost. Trainers are standing around most of the time, must be nice to have that job. Another complaint. People and their cell phones sitting on machines not using the machines for hour at a time back, if they are using they get attitudes. I switch up machines and some of those machines are limited. I will not renew my membership with them. The trainers are like reading from a cue card corporate robots.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I like the positive atmosphere that you can feel as soon as you walk through the door. The gym is very big so you have more than enough room to use each machine efficiently and even incorporate your own exercises. I like that there is an upper level and there are televisions with all kinds of channels. There are personal trainers available and even classes that you can take to widen your variety or exercises. I love going to this gym but I have not been recently because I had a foot surgery and my boyfriend is very busy with his current job. But this gym has more than exceeded my expectations in every way and I cannot imagine my life without going to this gym. I am so glad that it is close to my home and filled with amazing people. I am happy that I found it and I have been a member for almost two years now. I hope they stay where they are and continue to do great things.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I had a group of friends that went there at Gold's Gym. We would have friendly competition. Needed an atmosphere where I could relax and hang out afterwards with my friends. The gym has good location. It's close to many other shops and diners. Clean, friendly staff, showers, snack bar nearby. It was conveniently located for me. I could stop right after work. And there's good parking. However, needed a place that I could go before or after work. I had to be at work at 7 am and wanted to go before work, but they opened at 6:00 AM. The gym needed to be open earlier in the morning.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I needed a gym that was open late so that I could go after my son was in bed. So I chose this gym because of the hours and location. It was also very close and convenient to me. I liked the functional fitness area with the astro turf, the ladies only area, and selection of dumb bells. The gym was clean and equipment was in working order. The hours worked with my schedule. The gym didn't have any lifting platforms. I would have liked an area with lifting platforms and free weights. There also weren't enough kettlebells or rowers. There was only one old rower in an odd location.

Original review: May 30, 2017

This gym is well worth the price. I really loved their women's area and that I can workout without feeling like I'm being watched all the time. I also like that there is a theatre workout room where I can watch movies while working out. That makes it a fun place to be. I had a personal trainer for a while as well, and I really appreciated the time they took to help me workout. I've got screws in my heel and they showed me ways to do get a proper workout without injuring myself. The staff is very friendly and professional then the sauna and shower area is also always clean! However, I wish there were more bikes as sometimes they are all in use. It'd also be nice to expand on the theatre area and get a wider variety of movies and showtimes.

Original review: May 29, 2017

The gym overcharged me over $430 caused a few NSF a month ago. They have promised to correct this since May 4th. Still nothing has been taken care of. There are several issues with this gym, but this is the priority right now. Does anyone have any ideas on where how I can move this forward?

Original review: May 29, 2017

The main reason I chose Gold"s Gym over the other gyms was mainly the childcare. The other features I like best about them aside from their excellent childcare are their wide variety of classes offered for all fitness levels, spacious workout area, mirrored rooms, range of free weights, and variety of machines. Though having the childcare open the same hours as the gym instead of closing for a chunk of time would be better. Other than that, Gold's Gym has absolutely met my expectations.

Original review: May 29, 2017

Gold's Gym is the world's best gym. They have very good facilities and lots of new, innovative equipment. There are also lots of packages and the membership price is cheap but has a very good value. We can also get good ideas about nutrition there and we can get the nutrition there, too. In addition, the instructors are very professional, helping us all the time. There are also lots of professional members there and it gives more moral to us.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I chose this gym because most of my family members are members of this gym. My family and I just love this gym and this gym is 5 minutes from my home. They don't have sometimes enough instructors to teach the class and sometimes some people can't work out because they are short staff. But that the only thing I don't like. I love the cardio exercise and I also burn a lot of calories. They also have all of the equipment that you need to work out. I'm very pleased with this gym.

Original review: May 28, 2017

It was easy to navigate the gym. It was spacious and there were plenty of machines so I rarely had to wait for very long to use one of them. It had up to date equipment. I mainly chose this gym due to the location being convenient for me at the time. It didn't really meet my expectations, though. This is mainly due to a lot of solicitation from personal trainers which I was not anticipated when I first started going to the gym. This made it frustrating to go because I was always having to tell them no. They also often didn't take no for an answer. They would tell my wife and I that we would fail in our goals if we didn't have a personal trainer.

Original review: May 28, 2017

The facilities at the branch that I went to was superb and the building always has a pleasant vibe when I go in there. I like that the machines have the safety feature in case you accidentally drop your weights. Then the weightlifting instructors are hands on if there is ever a problem. The branch also has a sauna and a pool. The people there are nice and do not make newbies feel intimidated. They are courteous to me when I walk in.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I like how Gold's Gym is in a lot of areas so if I want to attend one out of town I am able to do so. Staying in shape is top priority absolutely and I also appreciate the cleanliness of the facility. It is important to me. I love love love spa-like gyms and the cleanliness and special aura they give off. I also love gyms that provide me with special items. I have used a gym where they provided me with a robe to wear after my rinse off in their provided shower and I loved that robe. I do so also wish they have a sauna and jacuzzi next to each other, though I know they would get used frequently. I truly am thankful that I have a Gold's Gym very near my home and that is why I choose to frequent Gold's Gym.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I love the equipment. It is easy to use and Gold's Gym has more plentiful options than other gyms. They provide a large variety of options that are suitable to my needs. It has met my expectations as far as helping me keep focused on my goals and providing easy to use equipment for efficient workouts. The gym is also clean and appealing. However, the atmosphere is a bit intimidating. Everyone seems so advanced and often I have seen other gym members make fun of other members who may not be as advanced in their workouts.

Original review: May 27, 2017

A lot of people go to the gym meaning a little more motivation while seeing others with a goal complete it. It really boosts my self esteem and more when strangers compliment on the change I've done or my family and friends alone. I was 238 lb when I started. I'm at 206 now and it's been a big motivational change in my life starting with the employees that are really helpful and the people that surround me. However, the gym I go to "Gold's" is pretty small. There's enough to do but not enough space. I've been to the gyms in Orlando and they're so much bigger and more room to do exercises! Plus you don't feel like you're messing with someone's working. Having to stop while someone is passing by cause they have to "slide" through. Really kills the motivation. Maybe, they should open more areas. But overall, I recommend Gold's to everyone!

Gold's Gym expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Gold’s Gym was founded in 1965 in Venice, California. After being featured in a bodybuilding documentary in 1977 starring Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gold’s Gym gained popularity and expanded internationally. It now has over 700 company-owned and franchise locations in 38 states and 28 countries.

• Fully equipped: Gold’s Gym built its reputation through a commitment to functional, state-of-the-art equipment. It continuously updates its fitness equipment and programs to reflect the latest developments in the fitness industry and exercise science.

• Group exercise options: Gold’s Gym offers many fitness classes, including popular options like spin class, mixed martial arts, Zumba, Pilates, yoga and more.

• Personal trainers: Gold’s Gym employs certified personal trainers to help customers plan fitness programs and meet goals. You can work with a trainer one-on-one or in group training sessions.

• Child care area: Customers who have children may appreciate Gold’s Gym’s child care areas. Kids can participate in supervised activities, crafts and games while parents and caregivers exercise.

• Express locations: While most Gold’s Gym locations are large, fully-appointed fitness centers, the company recognizes that some customers prefer a smaller, less intimidating workout experience. The new Gold’s Gym Express is a no-frills, basic gym for those who prefer a fast, simple workout. There are currently ten Express locations with plans to open more.

• Best for: athletes, fitness buffs and novices.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs