1.79/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

941 Gold's Gym Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Someone stole my son's car from here and the gym told us they would cooperate with the police officer but after we left they decided not to allow him to view the footage. Due to not allowing after he said he would has delayed the process of seeing whom possibly did this and locating car. I don't understand why they are not cooperative.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Membership with Gold's Gym is one of the worst exp I ever had in my life. I had some physical injuries after doing training with them. They did not account anything on that and on top of it they said they cannot cancel the membership even after I provided letter from doctor stating that I cannot continue workout. The customer care rep said they don’t care about that. They care only 30-day cancellation policy and they threatened me that they will go to collection if I did not pay the fee whether I use it or whether I am fit enough to continue or not.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was forced to join Gold's Gym when they bought the Rush. The took a great, well run Gym and ruined it; all the while bragging about their legacy. When I quit, they said, "Nobody may have told you this, but we only process cancellation every 31 days," so I would have to pay for this month and the following month. I explained that this was not in my signup contract and had no intention of paying. I saved my cancellation document and suggest everyone who is quitting do the same.

I cancelled my credit card and got a barrage of emails and cell call messages saying that my membership was in jeopardy (after I quit over 2 months ago). The emails have the address noreply@goldsgym.com so you can't contact them. I did call up headquarters and once again explained and they said they would "escalate this issue". I'm still getting emails and cell phone recordings. This is one of the sorriest and sleaziest outfits I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

After being a good standing member for 2 years then my mom became ill. I had to go to Wimberley to help her. She passed 1 year later. Since there were no Gold's Gyms in Wimberley I notified Gold's. They specifically said since I was a good standing member I was welcome back without the initiation fees. Untrue! All they did was try and come up with any excuse to make me go through the initiation process with fee after fee. Do not Recommend! I have a complaint with the BBB but I doubt it will amount to changing their multiplicative moves.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I requested to cancel my membership (Gold's Richmond VA) following the guidelines to the letter required by their contract of which I had to REQUEST a copy, since the one they emailed at contract signing never appeared. Everything we verbally agreed upon prior to signing didn't occur (which I was unaware, not having any documentation). They have refused to cancel even though I followed their guidelines. I am in the process of taking legal action due to fraudulent marketing practices and misleading information about personal training. I have found out my personal trainer has zero accreditation or professional certification in the industry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Been trying to join Gold's off and on for 4 years now. Either me or the Rep is always busy to get a meeting. I tried to join via the website but could not even do that. It does not work. They want to upsell so bad, that they are now losing money because of it. I know 4 other people that did not join because they could not get a scheduled meeting. So sad.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I called the Gold's Gym in Simi Valley to inquire on membership deals. I spoke to Sean who gave me all the info I needed. When I mentioned to him that I needed some time to think, he hung up on me! Even though I had explained to him that I was moving back to LA and needed something more cheaper, and that I would call him back, he was so pushy and kept insisting that I sign up. I understand that he has a quota to fill and even though I was not ready to sign up today, I would have called him back by Friday. He was rude, pushy and just the fact that he hung up, I will not use their services.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

After paying them for over 7 years after my contract expired, the credit card that they were used expired. I thought that they would just deny me access to their facility, but apparently the monthly charges continued to accrue, and I got a bill from a debt collector for over $300. I was told that you have to call and cancel your subscription, otherwise you will continue to be filled. The only relief that I got was they dropped the late fees. Will never use them again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have owned a family membership for over 10 years. First and foremost, I would have continued to be a member and continued the membership with Gold's fit for my son and husband. You had a promotion for trainer membership for a number of sessions. My son is training to join the Air Force and needed to be fit. I signed up with the explanation that my son would be learning about nutritional meals, 3D scans at the start to show progress. He would train 2 times a week and unlimited Gold's fit sessions and he explained the value of paying for monthly sessions not number of sessions. All for a total of $567 a month. I asked for them to charge the 3 months to be sure that it was the total amount. But he said that it was a better value to do it monthly.

Well it did not happen. He had only 1 3D session, the agreed time of session was changed and canceled some. We gave it the 3 month time I signed up for and decided to sign my husband and son to only the Gold's fit. As we were canceling the membership they wanted us to pay another $567. I don't understand if when I signed up I made it clear what I was looking for and my membership and my daughters was cancelled. We did not agree to that. I spoke to Gustavo ** and although he was calm, his response was he would cancel and send me to collections. Over 10 years of membership! I asked to speak to corporate and his response is that the complaint will come to him so no need. I asked for the district manager. He would not give me the name. He assured me he would pass on the complaint. We will see.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I cancelled my membership online in December yet they continued to bill me for 3 more months. I disputed it with my credit card company and they charged Gold's Gym back for the 3 months. Later on, the gym I signed up with decided to credit my card so I cancelled my dispute with my bank and the bank credited Gold's Gym back on 4/10/18 for those 3 months, thus ending my dispute and resolving all matters to my satisfaction.

It is now September 2018 (5 months later) and I'm getting automated emails and calls saying that my membership payment method needs updating and that I need to pay for my membership. MY MEMBERSHIP WAS CANCELLED IN DECEMBER OF 2017!!! I also have a collection agency calling me! UGH! No luck in emailing either. I emailed them a copy of my statement showing the charges that were given back to Gold's Gym and that we are squared PLUS I have another $20 charge this month on my statement from them for who-knows-what. Nobody can give me a phone number to talk to a live agent. What do they want from me as further proof???

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I cannot even give 1 star to this gym. When I joined as a member, I was worried about the cancellation because I already knew I would move to other state. However, a staff who was working on my contract said that there would any problem to cancel the membership any time. That was why I joined as a Gold's Gym member. I have been tried to cancel membership very many times but they make so many excuses. I have tried to cancel the membership for 3 months, but they still do not cancel my membership. I am too exhausted about this cancellation process. I am wasting so much time. I never go back to Gold's Gym or recommend this gym to other people. I think that Gold's Gym has a problem with cancelling process.

Also, the staff who was working on my contract did not explain in detail. Their business style is very bad. I am very shocked about their business mind because this is a gym which should have health mind than other companies. I can tell this gym is the worst among gyms I have experienced. I never believe them anymore because they make too many excuses. Also, I do not understand why they charge automatically without my agreement. They are so rude.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I first joined Gold's in November 2014. It was a smaller location and express but I was fine with this as I don't need to pay for extra amenities. I joined because I wasn't feeling challenged at a local women's only gym and although I was intimidated about working at a gym known more for bodybuilding, the manager at the time assured me everyone was there doing their thing and I would be okay.

I started doing cardio in the cinema room which was really neat. He showed me around and I signed up on the spot. In summer of 2015 I incorporated lifting into my workouts and the gym really helped me meet my goals especially after they got a 2nd squat rack and moved the equipment around to where there was space to do barbell walking lunges and other exercises where space was needed. Now there is a Planet Fitness across the street and although some of my colleagues have left, I still plan to stay with Gold's. I usually go in the morning so it's not as crowded as after work.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was a member of this gym for over 4 years. I cancelled my membership when I moved out of town and the gym continued to bill me after cancelling. I will never do business with these folks again. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

BEWARE- SCAMMERS. Fraudulent Charges. The management at this gym are completely unresponsive, rude and complicit in fraudulent charges to credit cards. Note I paid extra at this gym for a "no-contract option". When my credit card expired they charged me 117% biweekly late fees for 2 months. When I went to settle the account for the monthly fees due, they charged me over $180 for less than two months. When I told them that was outrageous and requested a refund they told me that was against their corporate policy. The manager also told me that I needed to learn to suck up to her or she would refuse to stop charging my credit card. She said she would "get back to me" but the gym did not get back to me...

I called the gym back repeatedly over a 3 month period, 11am, 5pm, 7pm and the manager was "never there" according to front desk staff. The gym did not get back to me... When I contacted corporate Gold's, they confirmed this is NOT their policy and that this local gym would get back to me to resolve these fraudulent charges. The local gym did not get back to me...

3 months after I physically turned in my signed cancelation notice to my "no contract account," I received an email from Gold's indicating that they had finally received my cancelation notice and that they would continue to bill my account for 2 more months before stopping. When I called the gym to have these charges removed, there was no manager available and they did not get back to me. I submitted more emails, and they did not get back to me.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Well maintained and well equipped. The minimal cost per month allows my membership and possibility to keep in shape. The cleanliness is exceptional and all of staff are always courteous and friendly.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Management removed the only machine that actually helped with my lower back pain, and the only machine that has no equivalent. Manager not understanding and not interested.

Original review: June 5, 2018

They have a staff of personal trainers and the sessions are affordable. There are nutrition products and small stores for supplies. At most facilities there is a swimming pool and hot tub. At the Legacy Trails near my home there is a basketball court and two racquetball courts. All of the facilities have lockers rooms and showers. I am greeted by the desk staff when I arrive and they wish me a nice day and thank you when I leave. Ample free parking. Child care center for those with small children. I have witnessed on several occasions older children working out WITH their parents.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I got RIPPED $1159.00! I signed up at the gym on 01/24/2013 cause I suffer from Ankylosing spondylitis so therefore I added a 24 class of PT on 01/27/13 to help me workout properly cause of my spinal disorder, so I got 1 class with him and then I was gonna go for the 2nd class but unfortunately The PT quit or got relocated, cause of that my policy got cancelled, and then I got another agreement on 05/31/2014. A 5 pack for $299 which I paid in full and took those classes with another PT.

SO on 02/06/2018 I paid my monthly gym fee $54 with my debit and the next day the gym withdraw $1159.00 stating it's for 24 pack classes I requested in 08/04/2016 which I never preauthorized the payment and never even signed up for, so I took this matter with the GM at the branch and he went through his database and he couldn’t find this agreement and said, "This looks fishy. Something is wrong," so he called the corporate to solve the issue by crediting my money back to my acct, which they did. And on 04/30/2018 the bank called me and stating that the gym is gonna withdraw the amount all over again so I don’t know how to fix this issue and it’s very frustrating especially in my condition and I even stopped going there and signed up in LA Fitness and hope for better environment.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I had been doing Gold’s boot camps for months and thought per their website and advertisements they were led by trained or certified coaches. In March, during a class outside on Gold’s property the coach set up an agility ladder in a hole. I was unfortunately the first one in the group to go that night (twisted ankle and strain calf). Her negligence cost me missed work, medical bills, etc. I asked the manager if Gold’s would help cover some of the medical bills/expenses and the answer was no. We workout at our own risk is what he explained to me. I paid extra for Boot Camp and it was not at all what I thought I was getting. I expected a coach to show me how to workout and how to properly use equipment without getting hurt. I couldn’t work out for a month and the manager knew it but wouldn’t even credit that. Gold’s only cares about monthly dues not their members!!

Original review: June 2, 2018

The managers here are people friendly, especially Eric and the GM **. The Body Pump class with Hugo is rewarding as is the Water Fitness class with Susan and Sarah. There are over 30 Gold's Gyms in town but we prefer the Lockhill Village location.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Gold's is a real gym, the others are "fitness centers". I was a member of 24 Hour Fitness for years and the price kept going up and up. They hired a security guard and would not tell me why, the staff rarely was friendly or even spoke to me. At Gold's I feel really comfortable and welcome and the staff is great as well as the equipment and the price is phenomenal.

Original review: May 30, 2018

It’s very convenient and there’s multiple locations on my way home from work. Most of the gyms are pretty clean. The hot tub is the perfect size on Cedar Creek in Cedar Park, Texas but not hot enough. This seems to be a problem at most Gold's. But they have a good variety of equipment which I really like.

Original review: May 15, 2018

A few years back I had signed up for Gold's Gym. Went two times in the beginning and then told them I wanna cancel my membership. They told me it was all set and canceled. Later on I got a call saying I owed them after I thought everything was squared off. At least that's what I was told. I went in and they told me I owe I believe it was about 500.00. Have to go in my files and get the paperwork. I went in and the guy told me if I sign this paper and open a new account he will take off the bill and tell collections. Collections called me many times and every time I went back to Gold's Gym and they told me that everything is all set. I don't owe anything.

Stopped by there 1 last time and he told me to pay 15.00 and the account is closed. Ok. Last week after a year the collection agency called me about it. Told me they need proof. I went back to Gold's Gym and the guy tells me I got 2 accounts and I owe over 1000.00??? How is that possible? I went to the gym two times for 2 hrs the most and this is the outcome. He told me if I make a new membership with him and stay active for 3 months he will delete the Bills. So I paid 150.00 on Mother's Day. The same day my newborn child was born with a low income as is all 'cause I can't afford to pay them 1200.00 for something I never encountered. Now I got to pay 150.00 for the 3 months just to get them to hopefully keep their word this time and stop charging me and messing up my credit for something I never go to. I feel like they hustled me.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Prices changed on classes. My contact was up so cancelled in Jan but they didn't cancel in timely matter. I was told last payment on 2/16/18, nope, two more payments came out in March. I have called several times and getting runaround, here we are in mid May no answer when. Bad business. They need their money to run a business and I paid but don't care. I am retired and need my money too.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I don't know anything about Gold's Gym other than it's on my credit report. I have never been nor would I go. I dunno if they just let people use other people's identity or what? Sad they let this happen when it's affecting my credit.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I went to this gym because it seemed simple, affordable and close to home. The initial staff were very friendly and helpful. I moved out of the state and went through the ridiculous cancellation process of mailing a letter to ABC financial TWICE. They charged me for November and December when I wasn't even living in the state or country anymore. ABC assured me that they would put an immediate stop payment and fix this issue.

I thought it was fixed until I saw 3 months later 3x payments pending on my card. I immediately flagged as fraud with my credit card on a stop payment, I spoke with ABC who said on their end the payments were stopped and they were charged directly by the gym. I now speak with the manager of the gym who said they had sent me collections (NEVER RECEIVED ANYTHING since speaking with ABC and being told payments were stopped). I also spoke to someone at the gym back in December who also told me it was taken care of. What a nightmare, this gym is definitely not worth this hassle of cancelling, having not stepped foot in the gym for over 8 months and still dealing with this.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Gold's Gym seems to be fast losing its original charm. The branch at Pune, Hadapsar, India which we joined seems only to focus on saving cost. Complaints either go unattended or at best partly attended. Each year for instance Swim pool is not regularly filtered. Shower rooms don't work and have broken latches and knobs for months at stretch. The Manager there has very good lung power and thus most customers are made to shut up and give up. Survival strategy seems to be by getting new enrollment, even though short-lived, as opposed to working on long-term members. It is Time the Gold Gym HQ took some interest to rekindle the lost glory.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Gold's it's not just a gym - it's a mindset. I've experienced other gyms, never longer than a year. Gold's is what I call my home away from home. I simply do not believe any bad reviews because I know this family since joining in 2009, and they are accommodating to their members. Look, you can go to another gym and feel hallow. Or you can join a team/ family... If you want support, you get it. If you wanna just work out and be left alone, you can have that too. I can talk forever, but the 1 way to find out for yourself is get over there and see for yourself. It cost nothing for a free pass!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I joined Gold's Gym a few months ago at the Baxter and Clayton Rd location in St. Louis, MO. This location used to be 24 Hour Fitness which I was a member years ago. I never had the following issues. 1) Men's Locker Room: Some of the inside of the lockers have a sign not to use the lockers with a personal lock because it's easy for others to break into them and instead, members should use their rental lockers with built-in locks. When I first joined, I asked if such lockers were available and the salesperson said that members need to bring their own locks. 2) Many of the lockers on the inside are damp and have leftover items in it. I have complained and was advised they only clean out lockers before close or early in the morning but no more.

3) Showers: The floor has drainage problems because the floor is often flooded between the shower stalls; not all of the shower stalls close; shower heads often don’t work or spray in several directions and are filthy; the Hot/Cold Water labels are different than how the handle actually works; the inside shower doors 'always' has what appears to be soap and water stains or semen. MOLD: The shower walls 'always' have large orange stains. Last week, I went into the first stall on the right and after accidentally backing up to my upper back against the wall, I jumped after noticing what appeared to be a grouping of spotted orange and pink stains out from the faucet handle which had a dark orange-pinkish ring around it.

I quickly went to another stall which also had similar stains on the walls and around the faucet handle. Thank God for shower shoes! I felt so disgusted that I wanted to take shower from the shower! Speaking of shower shoes; the floor is often nasty to look at as well; with buildup on some areas and orange spots or black spots on other areas. Also, at times, the soap dispenser on the wall is broken in on the floor in others. The soap; it is a foam but it dissolves quickly at first the touch of water and is useless for showering. *I have reported the showers to employees at the front desk but comments are usually; "Thanks for telling us;" "It is cleaned daily" which I call BS!

4) The Hot Tub: At times, the water is luke-warm; or when sitting in it, the holes where the water shoots out of (not the jets) near the steps, feels like scalding water when my body is too close. At times there is floating fuzzies, what looks like pieces of food or dirt, or. The sign on the wall in the pool says, "If need to report issues to contact the Health Department not Gold's Gym." 5) When I first joined, the hours were still in effect for the 24 hours which helped with my work shifts till 11p and 1a shifts to use the hot tub after a long workday. About 2 weeks after joining, the hours were changed with closing at 11 pm (M-F) and 8p (S/Su). I was locked into a 3 month contract.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

My experience with Gold's began with my checking out the month-to-month with no app fee online offer. When I got to the pay screen, up popped 2 months charges, not just one, so I did not press enter to pay, I deleted all my credit card info and backed completely out of the site. A couple of weeks later, there were Gold's Gym charges on my credit card (the card I never actually entered) - charges for a bit more than 2 months. I went to the gym and was told that wasn't possible, they said they could see that I attempted to sign up but I had not completed it! You can't get out of there without a lengthy spiel - okay, I must go online to request a refund and I could then sign up for the month-to-month. I did so, but there was no month-to-month with free application anymore - now it had to be a 4 month contract. Like a fool, I signed up. (The gym is practically at my back door and so convenient.)

There were then 2 separate occasions wherein I was told when I checked in that the name on my account did not match the name associated with my membership tag. Ok, so they said never mind, they fixed it - both times. Then there was the issue of no classes if you are the only one participating. You go and wait for them to round up the class instructor, then are told to wait while they try to find someone else to participate, and wind up leaving without a class. I went in the gym on January 8 and told the manager I wanted to cancel my membership. He said I could not cancel until February. He also had trouble finding my account online (wanted to show me I had signed up for 4 months), then found it and said the name was wrong! OK, he fixed the name and then printed out a stack of pages with x's all over them. I asked what is that? He said my electronic signatures. He said come back in Feb.

There was no legitimate reason for him not to process the cancellation at that time, with an effective date of Feb. By then I was really annoyed and went home to check out the contract. When I went online to check out the contract, I got a message that my name is not associated with the bar code on my card! I called the gym on February 12 and told the girl who answered that my name is not on my account. She gave some completely incomprehensible reason for that. I told her, "I had been in to cancel and was told it could not be done until February so now please have the manager cancel for me." I was told the manager would call me. I told her I do not want the manager to call me - I already put in my cancellation request with him and I do not have time to go through another sales pitch. I don't know how they could possibly legally require anything more of me in order for me to gain a cancellation.

Gold's Gym expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Gold’s Gym was founded in 1965 in Venice, California. After being featured in a bodybuilding documentary in 1977 starring Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gold’s Gym gained popularity and expanded internationally. It now has over 700 company-owned and franchise locations in 38 states and 28 countries.

• Fully equipped: Gold’s Gym built its reputation through a commitment to functional, state-of-the-art equipment. It continuously updates its fitness equipment and programs to reflect the latest developments in the fitness industry and exercise science.

• Group exercise options: Gold’s Gym offers many fitness classes, including popular options like spin class, mixed martial arts, Zumba, Pilates, yoga and more.

• Personal trainers: Gold’s Gym employs certified personal trainers to help customers plan fitness programs and meet goals. You can work with a trainer one-on-one or in group training sessions.

• Child care area: Customers who have children may appreciate Gold’s Gym’s child care areas. Kids can participate in supervised activities, crafts and games while parents and caregivers exercise.

• Express locations: While most Gold’s Gym locations are large, fully-appointed fitness centers, the company recognizes that some customers prefer a smaller, less intimidating workout experience. The new Gold’s Gym Express is a no-frills, basic gym for those who prefer a fast, simple workout. There are currently ten Express locations with plans to open more.

• Best for: athletes, fitness buffs and novices.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs