3.9/5 (489 ratings)

About Gold's Gym

Gold's Gym Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: May 22, 2021

Because of COVID I decided to place my membership on hold. Never was I informed that I would be charged a maintenance fee during my conversation with member services. Last year they got me for $40 and this year they got me for $40. The Member Services person convinced me to place it on hold otherwise I might get charged a higher fee even when I told him repeatedly just cancel. I ended up with the fee last year, and had ever intention of canceling the account if I felt I could not go back. I was never notified that I was coming up to the year. I called and canceled my membership and was told I could not get a refund because the company decided not to do refunds. So Gold's Gym has now stolen $80 from me. Do not join Gold's unless you read ALL the fine print. Seriously bad customer service and business practices.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Gold's Gym stole $69.95 from my account by overcharging me in February and attempted to do so in March and April. They now claim they can't refund the overpayment after I chose to cancel my membership due to their unprofessionalism and dishonest business practices.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2021

DON'T SIGN UP WITH GOLD'S GYM. They never return messages, never cancel your membership when you ask them to, provide you with faulty information when you sign up (such as childcare and having a useable pool), and they will harass you nonstop for payment through phone calls and emails when you have CANCELLED REPEATEDLY and blocked them from charging your card. Send a message on Facebook to them, and they immediately respond through automation, and of course they say to call your local gym. Beware. Look at their online reviews and how this is a continuous problem with them. Is it any wonder why they had to file for bankruptcy last year.

This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced and most of it is done through automation LOL. By the way, the second time that I went in to speak with my local manager, I had a witness with me. I left there trusting this new manager (who replaced the previous manager I cancelled with who no longer works for the company), but now he won't return my phone calls. BLOCK THEM ON YOUR CREDIT CARD or they will repeatedly try to get money from you.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

This gym became so dirty and packed. Today they moved all the rusty machines to the outside. The front desk wasn't helpful at all cancelling my membership. Apparently they don't wanna cancel so they keep charging me. No point of going there anymore. I referred a friend there. For more than 4 months working out there and I've never gotten any free months.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Zero star I gave, Ashley the manager of Brentwood College Station was extremely rude, more than ex-member were complaining about her ** supremacy. Yesterday DEC 31st, 2020 she evicted me because I was painting on sit up bench trying to breathe by lowering my mask...very unfair, I am 62 years old. I agreed to be evicted if she refunds my prepaid money for 5 months. Never ever join this gym, after you pay prepaid for a year, Gold's Gym will try to evict you and eat the money for unreasonable cause. She would be fired undermining gold's gym, lots of member.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I have couple memberships from different gyms, Gold' s Gym is the worst, completely unethical and dishonest. Stay away and go somewhere else. I was a member of this gym for many years (already out of contract, just paying month to month), the gym is kind of old and unclean, equipments are not maintained. I stuck with it because the location was close to where I work.

During this coronavirus pandemic, I never received any phone call, text, email or letter about the gym reopening. Until one day I got phone call from collections company said I owed gold gym payment. This makes no sense cause they continued to charge me when their doors were closed. This defines greed. Planet Fitness and other gyms are allowing members to design if we feel comfortable to come back then will begin payment again with no pressure on that, they are really care and working with their members. DO NOT SUPPORT Gold's gym, they are a horrible company to work with.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

GOLD'S WILL NOT LET YOU CANCEL DURING COVID. Gold's in Arlington MA mislead their customers about the cancellation policy when signing up. It is impossible to cancel unless you move far away or have a new permanent medical disability (both require written proof) - even when your year contract is up (indefinite automatic renewal). This is managed by ABC Financial. Even during COVID when they closed down temporarily, they still wouldn't let you quit. Personally, I moved in with my older mother and we are concerned about COVID so will be avoiding gyms for the near future. After explaining this situation in detail to ABC Financial, I am still unable to get out of the membership and will continue being charged $50 a month indefinitely. This would be an unethical policy outside of COVID, but during this time, it is almost unbelievable. DO NOT SIGN UP!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

First, the Management promised to give 100% Extension of the membership post-Lockdown. The second time they communicated saying 100% Extension will be done only on the Renewal of your resp Membership (of 1 Year). If not, only 50% of the Membership will be extended, and you can join as soon as the Gyms re-open in Maharashtra.

The Third time just two days before the Gyms in Mumbai re-opened, I get a call from the Management saying, "You can't come to the gym without the renewal." As per the Management, I compulsorily will have to take renewal, and even after that, they will give only 50% Extension on my previous membership, without that we cannot enter the premises.

In a very subtle way, they have just asked the customers to "Get Lost". And very sadly I have lost my 6 months Membership here. (Cherry on the cake no discounts for Renewal.) Advice to the Management: Please communicate among yourselves first and then address your customers. Gold's is pretty expensive and it's not easy to arrange such a huge wholesome amount two to three days before.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

Tried to cancel my account and the customer care representatives were empathetic, but Corporate sucks. Cancellation portals were once available online, but no longer since Covid... which should be considered for cancelations out of 30-day window.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Do NOT join Gold's Gym. At the start of the Pandemic, I called and called and called and called to cancel my membership. NO ONE ANSWERED; yet, I continued to be billed month to month for my membership. Because I could not reach anyone at Gold's Gym, I called my bank to stop payment to Gold's Gym. The ONLY time Gold's Gym communicated with me was to tell me my account had been sent to Collections!!!! NEVER ONCE DID I RECEIVE COMMUNICATION THAT THE GYM WAS CLOSED OR HAD REOPENED. I have very good credit and this will negatively impact my credit score. GOLD'S GYM DOES NOT CARE ABOUT IT'S CUSTOMERS. DO NOT SUPPORT GOLD'S GYM.

Gold's Gym author review by Joey Thurman

Gold’s Gym was founded in 1965 in Venice, California. After being featured in a bodybuilding documentary in 1977 starring Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gold’s Gym gained popularity and expanded internationally. It now has over 700 company-owned and franchise locations in 38 states and 28 countries.

• Fully equipped: Gold’s Gym built its reputation through a commitment to functional, state-of-the-art equipment. It continuously updates its fitness equipment and programs to reflect the latest developments in the fitness industry and exercise science.

• Group exercise options: Gold’s Gym offers many fitness classes, including popular options like spin class, mixed martial arts, Zumba, Pilates, yoga and more.

• Personal trainers: Gold’s Gym employs certified personal trainers to help customers plan fitness programs and meet goals. You can work with a trainer one-on-one or in group training sessions.

• Child care area: Customers who have children may appreciate Gold’s Gym’s child care areas. Kids can participate in supervised activities, crafts and games while parents and caregivers exercise.

• Express locations: While most Gold’s Gym locations are large, fully-appointed fitness centers, the company recognizes that some customers prefer a smaller, less intimidating workout experience. The new Gold’s Gym Express is a no-frills, basic gym for those who prefer a fast, simple workout. There are currently ten Express locations with plans to open more.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Gold's Gym Company Information