3.8/5 (489 ratings)

About Gold's Gym

Gold's Gym Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Hi, I have purchased Gold's Gym Sinhgad Road membership, also personal trainer, nutrition but due to some conditions I was hospitalized and I was unable to join gym afterwards covid come so lockdown now. I have contacted them. They are not giving me my session. I hardly attended 10 days gym. All my 45000 money lost to this gym. Never ever go to this gym if you don't lose to money. They are only money oriented.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

While joining the Gold's Gym I thought I have made a best decision. As I have a 0% knowledge about gym and inside machines, equipment. But the marketing team gave me a good and positive hope by saying "you have joined a big group. You will get all assist from our floor trainer if you wish. You can take PT and all blah blah stuff." As I told that I am just a fresher I need some guidance from your floor trainer as I don't know whether the exercise which I am doing is correct or not, but here the trainer is like, "If you take PT then only we will train you. Otherwise we will not even stand beside you for even 1 minute," and if I say them to stand for at least 1-2 minutes to check whether I am doing it in a correct way or not, so they will answer that, "We don’t have that right (floor assistance)."

Doing machine biceps, machine triceps is not a advance program but they refuse to even show me that exercise. (Only PT will show me this.) Is this behavior correct?? Is this your real terms?? Is this a gym or just a money making business?? And after investing such huge amount not getting a proper service or answer in return. Really disappointing unsatisfactory behavior of your team and I would never ever recommend a Gold's Gym to anyone and also would never be a part of your gym once I complete my pending months.

People come to you as you are a brand, we think going to a brand gym giving double money to them will be better then going to a local gym as they have a well trained assistant to guide us. But it is totally wrong, to go to a local gym is much better as they never ask extra money (in your language PT) for showing exercise to freshers/learners.

Till time I have been not give a gym Bag. (On asking of gym bag one marketing guy told me it is out of stock. "Once it will come will give you," on same day asking to another marketing guy he told that gym bag is only issue to yearly admission. After having some cross conversation I told him that many 6 month admission crowd have been given the GYM BAG. Why not me?? He suddenly change his word and telling me it is out of stock. Is this a proper answer?? It is not just about a GYM BAG. It's about a satisfactory of customer. Being a big organisation it's really shocking that GYM BAG is out of stock.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I wish there was a half a star rating or 0 stars I could post because this gym has the worse communication and policies especially regarding the COVID19 pandemic and gym membership cancellations. Since the pandemic in 2020, I haven’t gone to the gym. Everything was closed and in lockdown. In September I was getting billed for previous months that I had never used the gym!!!! I called the manager and biller at the gym, Jaime, which took weeks to get ahold of, and she said I would have to physically come into the gym with a doctor's note. At that time due to my condition I didn’t want to step foot anywhere, so I asked if I could fax, or mail my documents, given the current crisis. And she refused.

I immediately called my credit card company and Better Business Bureau and they all agreed that this particular company had had slews of complaints of not hearing our customers and unheard of billing. Fast forward to now, even after sending her the documents and cancellation forms, she is still harassing me about these payments, and she even agreed that I hadn’t ever step foot into the gym since the pandemic. She searched my bar code to see how many times I swiped in. Greedy and poor management indeed. DON'T EVER GO TO THIS GYM!!! I’d rather workout in a park.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Because of COVID I decided to place my membership on hold. Never was I informed that I would be charged a maintenance fee during my conversation with member services. Last year they got me for $40 and this year they got me for $40. The Member Services person convinced me to place it on hold otherwise I might get charged a higher fee even when I told him repeatedly just cancel. I ended up with the fee last year, and had ever intention of canceling the account if I felt I could not go back. I was never notified that I was coming up to the year. I called and canceled my membership and was told I could not get a refund because the company decided not to do refunds. So Gold's Gym has now stolen $80 from me. Do not join Gold's unless you read ALL the fine print. Seriously bad customer service and business practices.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Gold's Gym stole $69.95 from my account by overcharging me in February and attempted to do so in March and April. They now claim they can't refund the overpayment after I chose to cancel my membership due to their unprofessionalism and dishonest business practices.

Original review: April 21, 2021

DON'T SIGN UP WITH GOLD'S GYM. They never return messages, never cancel your membership when you ask them to, provide you with faulty information when you sign up (such as childcare and having a useable pool), and they will harass you nonstop for payment through phone calls and emails when you have CANCELLED REPEATEDLY and blocked them from charging your card. Send a message on Facebook to them, and they immediately respond through automation, and of course they say to call your local gym. Beware. Look at their online reviews and how this is a continuous problem with them. Is it any wonder why they had to file for bankruptcy last year.

This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced and most of it is done through automation LOL. By the way, the second time that I went in to speak with my local manager, I had a witness with me. I left there trusting this new manager (who replaced the previous manager I cancelled with who no longer works for the company), but now he won't return my phone calls. BLOCK THEM ON YOUR CREDIT CARD or they will repeatedly try to get money from you.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

This gym became so dirty and packed. Today they moved all the rusty machines to the outside. The front desk wasn't helpful at all cancelling my membership. Apparently they don't wanna cancel so they keep charging me. No point of going there anymore. I referred a friend there. For more than 4 months working out there and I've never gotten any free months.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Zero star I gave, Ashley the manager of Brentwood College Station was extremely rude, more than ex-member were complaining about her ** supremacy. Yesterday DEC 31st, 2020 she evicted me because I was painting on sit up bench trying to breathe by lowering my mask...very unfair, I am 62 years old. I agreed to be evicted if she refunds my prepaid money for 5 months. Never ever join this gym, after you pay prepaid for a year, Gold's Gym will try to evict you and eat the money for unreasonable cause. She would be fired undermining gold's gym, lots of member.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I have couple memberships from different gyms, Gold' s Gym is the worst, completely unethical and dishonest. Stay away and go somewhere else. I was a member of this gym for many years (already out of contract, just paying month to month), the gym is kind of old and unclean, equipments are not maintained. I stuck with it because the location was close to where I work.

During this coronavirus pandemic, I never received any phone call, text, email or letter about the gym reopening. Until one day I got phone call from collections company said I owed gold gym payment. This makes no sense cause they continued to charge me when their doors were closed. This defines greed. Planet Fitness and other gyms are allowing members to design if we feel comfortable to come back then will begin payment again with no pressure on that, they are really care and working with their members. DO NOT SUPPORT Gold's gym, they are a horrible company to work with.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

GOLD'S WILL NOT LET YOU CANCEL DURING COVID. Gold's in Arlington MA mislead their customers about the cancellation policy when signing up. It is impossible to cancel unless you move far away or have a new permanent medical disability (both require written proof) - even when your year contract is up (indefinite automatic renewal). This is managed by ABC Financial. Even during COVID when they closed down temporarily, they still wouldn't let you quit. Personally, I moved in with my older mother and we are concerned about COVID so will be avoiding gyms for the near future. After explaining this situation in detail to ABC Financial, I am still unable to get out of the membership and will continue being charged $50 a month indefinitely. This would be an unethical policy outside of COVID, but during this time, it is almost unbelievable. DO NOT SIGN UP!

Gold's Gym author review by Joey Thurman

Gold’s Gym was founded in 1965 in Venice, California. After being featured in a bodybuilding documentary in 1977 starring Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gold’s Gym gained popularity and expanded internationally. It now has over 700 company-owned and franchise locations in 38 states and 28 countries.

• Fully equipped: Gold’s Gym built its reputation through a commitment to functional, state-of-the-art equipment. It continuously updates its fitness equipment and programs to reflect the latest developments in the fitness industry and exercise science.

• Group exercise options: Gold’s Gym offers many fitness classes, including popular options like spin class, mixed martial arts, Zumba, Pilates, yoga and more.

• Personal trainers: Gold’s Gym employs certified personal trainers to help customers plan fitness programs and meet goals. You can work with a trainer one-on-one or in group training sessions.

• Child care area: Customers who have children may appreciate Gold’s Gym’s child care areas. Kids can participate in supervised activities, crafts and games while parents and caregivers exercise.

• Express locations: While most Gold’s Gym locations are large, fully-appointed fitness centers, the company recognizes that some customers prefer a smaller, less intimidating workout experience. The new Gold’s Gym Express is a no-frills, basic gym for those who prefer a fast, simple workout. There are currently ten Express locations with plans to open more.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Gold's Gym Company Information