Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.49/5

Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Gold's Gym Reviews

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I registered for Gold Gym on Dec. 2nd 2019 and I cancelled it on Dec. 30th 2019. Between this period, they charged me $154. This is robbery. They advertised that the charge is $21 when you sign month to month contract plus $29 starting fee. I agreed. I later realized that they were charging me $21 every 2 weeks. They charged me $29 on 12/02/2019, $21 on 12/07/2019, $21 on 12/21/2019. I went on 12/30/2019 to complain. After the discussion, I realized that they are fraudulent. I told the young lady to cancel my account and she charged me again $42 and $39.99 on the 30th of December 2019. This action can only be defined as daytime robbery.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I went in to cancel my membership for my entire family and filled out all of the paperwork. Gold's Gym submitted all of the paperwork, but lost my paperwork and will not reimburse me for the months that they have charged me. I have talked to them on the phone numerous times and they have assured me that the membership is cancelled, but the keep charging me every month.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

It's so sad. I cancelled my gym membership on OCT with the general manager. Then I get calls in DEC saying I owe my renewal fee and monthly payment. So I called and went to the Golds Gym and was told “I never went to cancel my membership“ by the general manager who I signed the cancellation form with in OCT. He basically called me liar that I never went and gave me customer service # so I called & she supposedly checked cameras and said I talk another associate and he supposedly gave me a schedule for training that week.

I told them I came in with two friends and the customer service manager said “our cameras don’t show that area“ where I was standing and I told her, "Then how are you confirming that you seen me on the cameras," and she said it cuts off from my shoulder. They made me pay $80 for their mistake... I’m so disappointed and mad I have to pay for their mistake. Misplacing my cancellation form and being called a liar. The customer service manger couldn’t even look at my face.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Folks, Gold's is taking your money, more than is due, because they can. They are either desperately greedy or desperate period and will steal your money once they have a credit card number and signature. ATTORNEYS -- Read state statutes on what is allowed for gyms to do. Gold's breaches those statues voiding out the contracts. What they are doing is illegal but you cannot contest effectively through your credit card as they produce a document with your signature -- even if you never signed the document. The document obligates you. So they could say, "Joe Schmo agrees to pay $500 cleaning fee per month" and then paste your signature onto that notice even if the arrangement was never discussed, you never agreed to it, and never signed -- all they got is your signature on a blank signature sheet and credit card number.

That is sufficient for them to help themselves so however much they want anytime they want even long after you have canceled. These people are unscrupulous, greedy, and thieves -- and the issue plagues ALL THE GYMS worldwide. reflecting that management has decided that theft is a revenue generating strategy for them. Want to get a Gold's franchise? Per Gold's website: "Financially, we’re looking for a minimum net worth of $1 million with liquidity of $400,000. The estimated investment level for a single gym ranges from $2,218,250 to $5,000,500 with an initial franchise fee of $40,000."

Where do they get this money? From YOU, the gullible patron. They STEAL it. They do this shamelessly. No money is invested in the gym. They horde the revenue for themselves, so regardless of what they do to your credit score, the hassle and stress they create through unauthorized billing, the theft of your hard earned assets they consider it "just business" to rob you. Hey you signed on the dotted line and gave them a cc number. What can yo do to stop them? Nothing so they keep billing and billing and billing. Even after you cancel, they will randomly start billing again. They are desperate, immoral, and greedy. They don't care about customer service or health...it's just money money money...and YOU are the product they shake down for profits.

There is grounds for a class action. Start with state statutes and then the billing that proceeds from the point of agreeing to an undisclosed contact to which they refer to justify their theft. Said contract is void out due to their misrepresentations and failure to "deliver" a contract at signing. Violation of state statues voids out the contract. Any money they persist in taking after that point amounts to theft, which provides more claims. Their pattern of theft is predictable and commonplace. Easily millions would constitute a class.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I'll spare you the details of my situation, but suffice to say I have undergone a LONG, TIME-INTENSIVE DISPUTE with my credits card company over unauthorized charges. Basically Gold's had me sign a blank signature sheet and got my credit card number. They never presented a contract AT DELIVERY -- which voids out the contract per state law, if they don't do this. Nevertheless, the billing rate was not as agreed, so I canceled. Gold's continued to bill in random amounts, literally hundreds of dollars, each of which I had to dispute. I canceled membership once the billing fraud become apparent.

BEWARE - THIS IS THE KEY WARNING: Once Gold's has your credit card number and a signature -- even if it's from a blank signature sheet -- they can bill however much you want and it's legitimate since you provided them the information to bill you. They can make up charges, change the terms without your knowledge or consent and then affix your copied signature onto it and present that as authorization to bill however much they want.

My credit card ended up crediting me and writing off Gold's unauthorized billing as a loss to my credit card, but I had to cancel my card as there was nothing to stop Gold's from billing again. If they tried to charge again, Discover would have to pay them. Read the numerous online accounts of these unauthorized charged. Even if you cancel membership, they will wait a few months and then reopen your account and begin billing again. After you cancel, they still bill. Challenge them on this and they never get back to you. Why? They don't have to. They have your cc and signature and can do whatever they want with it. They can try to bill years later, all of this is apparently legal even though it's technically fraudulent and dishonest...This is why they will say and do anything to get a credit card number and signature.

I regret ever having a Gold's membership and lost a credit card over this. I had to cancel just to protect myself from future billing. Notice if you want to buy anything in Gold's -- like a T-shirt, they don't require anything. They just "put it on your tab." They can put anything on your tab including their own rent payments or if they decide to give themselves a $200 christmas bonus. Why? They have your signature and cc and can bill whatever they want, however much they want. Contest it with your cc and Golds will produced your xeroxed signature and whatever paperwork they decided to paste it onto.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

One of the very bad experience I am having at Gold's Gym today. I was just enrolled a few days back here in gold gym. And after getting email from gold Gym that they are closing this location i placed a cancellation request and it was discussed that you have not completed one month so if you place your request within one month then as a one month guarantee program we will not charge you anything. So I placed the cancellation just after 7days. Then it was charged me on 25th Nov..now I checked with them and they saying I need to pay $100 to get it canceled and the manager is very very very very rude.. She is not ready to listen on anything. Please let me know if you have any idea whats needs to do for this situation. As I don't want to pay $100+32 for the 7 day gym and that is not to my fault as the gym is closing otherwise I will never get it canceled. I request everybody Never Ever enroll in Gold gym..simply they took money and flew away..

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I am a regular customer at Senapati Bapat Road gym, Pune (Maharashtra) India. This gym is ruining all the good image of GOLDS. They are not providing even the necessary facilities. A/C here is not working at least 3-4 days of the month. Water Boiler is not working since last 2 months. The Manager here is a rich lady, keeps working out for herself & not paying attention to the GYM needs. They even not providing a Complain register. Take care, as it hampers your GYM's image.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I paid close to 400.00 for an annual membership for my son in August in good faith paying all up front instead of them billing my son monthly. My son wanted to quit the gym in November and I went into the Pasadena Golds location and spoke to Frank as the manager who downloaded my son’s paperwork and told me he doesn’t do refunds in any golds location. That refunds are done through a third party company for which he gave me their business card. I called that company and they told me they don’t do annual membership refunds. I went back to Frank who informed me that I would be charged a 100.00 cancellation despite all memberships requiring just a 30 day notice and charge for the monthly 31.00 charge not 100.00. He submitted the refund request and nothing has been done to rectify our charges amount of over 350.00. It’s been hell.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

The credit card I use to pay Gold's Gym was stolen, so I locked it and requested a new one. The next day my payment hit, and the request was declined. I received a nasty voicemail from them stating my account was 60 days overdue and it was going to collections. I immediately called the customer service line and he informed me that it was only ONE day past due, and they sometimes have "glitches" with their notification system. Picked up my cancellation form today and will be permanently cancelling this account tomorrow. Fingers crossed that they don't try to scam me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I don't trust this company at all. They make it extremely hard to cancel and almost impossible to talk to anyone about billing concerns. Cancellation does not stop their billing for a full two billing cycles. There's no benefit to the consumer to pay for a month after cancellation. On site staff is either not knowledgeable or does not care and customer service does not exist over the phone. Had to beg for proof of cancellation. I will make sure anyone who I talk to knows never to join.

Not sure about Gold's Gym?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right weight loss program for you.

Gold's Gym expert review by Joey Thurman

Gold’s Gym was founded in 1965 in Venice, California. After being featured in a bodybuilding documentary in 1977 starring Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gold’s Gym gained popularity and expanded internationally. It now has over 700 company-owned and franchise locations in 38 states and 28 countries.

• Fully equipped: Gold’s Gym built its reputation through a commitment to functional, state-of-the-art equipment. It continuously updates its fitness equipment and programs to reflect the latest developments in the fitness industry and exercise science.

• Group exercise options: Gold’s Gym offers many fitness classes, including popular options like spin class, mixed martial arts, Zumba, Pilates, yoga and more.

• Personal trainers: Gold’s Gym employs certified personal trainers to help customers plan fitness programs and meet goals. You can work with a trainer one-on-one or in group training sessions.

• Child care area: Customers who have children may appreciate Gold’s Gym’s child care areas. Kids can participate in supervised activities, crafts and games while parents and caregivers exercise.

• Express locations: While most Gold’s Gym locations are large, fully-appointed fitness centers, the company recognizes that some customers prefer a smaller, less intimidating workout experience. The new Gold’s Gym Express is a no-frills, basic gym for those who prefer a fast, simple workout. There are currently ten Express locations with plans to open more.

• Best for: athletes, fitness buffs and novices.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Gold's Gym Company Information