1.92/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

927 Gold's Gym Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 11, 2018

Well maintained and well equipped. The minimal cost per month allows my membership and possibility to keep in shape. The cleanliness is exceptional and all of staff are always courteous and friendly.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Management removed the only machine that actually helped with my lower back pain, and the only machine that has no equivalent. Manager not understanding and not interested.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2018

They have a staff of personal trainers and the sessions are affordable. There are nutrition products and small stores for supplies. At most facilities there is a swimming pool and hot tub. At the Legacy Trails near my home there is a basketball court and two racquetball courts. All of the facilities have lockers rooms and showers. I am greeted by the desk staff when I arrive and they wish me a nice day and thank you when I leave. Ample free parking. Child care center for those with small children. I have witnessed on several occasions older children working out WITH their parents.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I got RIPPED $1159.00! I signed up at the gym on 01/24/2013 cause I suffer from Ankylosing spondylitis so therefore I added a 24 class of PT on 01/27/13 to help me workout properly cause of my spinal disorder, so I got 1 class with him and then I was gonna go for the 2nd class but unfortunately The PT quit or got relocated, cause of that my policy got cancelled, and then I got another agreement on 05/31/2014. A 5 pack for $299 which I paid in full and took those classes with another PT.

SO on 02/06/2018 I paid my monthly gym fee $54 with my debit and the next day the gym withdraw $1159.00 stating it's for 24 pack classes I requested in 08/04/2016 which I never preauthorized the payment and never even signed up for, so I took this matter with the GM at the branch and he went through his database and he couldn’t find this agreement and said, "This looks fishy. Something is wrong," so he called the corporate to solve the issue by crediting my money back to my acct, which they did. And on 04/30/2018 the bank called me and stating that the gym is gonna withdraw the amount all over again so I don’t know how to fix this issue and it’s very frustrating especially in my condition and I even stopped going there and signed up in LA Fitness and hope for better environment.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I had been doing Gold’s boot camps for months and thought per their website and advertisements they were led by trained or certified coaches. In March, during a class outside on Gold’s property the coach set up an agility ladder in a hole. I was unfortunately the first one in the group to go that night (twisted ankle and strain calf). Her negligence cost me missed work, medical bills, etc. I asked the manager if Gold’s would help cover some of the medical bills/expenses and the answer was no. We workout at our own risk is what he explained to me. I paid extra for Boot Camp and it was not at all what I thought I was getting. I expected a coach to show me how to workout and how to properly use equipment without getting hurt. I couldn’t work out for a month and the manager knew it but wouldn’t even credit that. Gold’s only cares about monthly dues not their members!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: June 2, 2018

The managers here are people friendly, especially Eric and the GM **. The Body Pump class with Hugo is rewarding as is the Water Fitness class with Susan and Sarah. There are over 30 Gold's Gyms in town but we prefer the Lockhill Village location.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Gold's is a real gym, the others are "fitness centers". I was a member of 24 Hour Fitness for years and the price kept going up and up. They hired a security guard and would not tell me why, the staff rarely was friendly or even spoke to me. At Gold's I feel really comfortable and welcome and the staff is great as well as the equipment and the price is phenomenal.

Original review: May 30, 2018

It’s very convenient and there’s multiple locations on my way home from work. Most of the gyms are pretty clean. The hot tub is the perfect size on Cedar Creek in Cedar Park, Texas but not hot enough. This seems to be a problem at most Gold's. But they have a good variety of equipment which I really like.

Original review: May 15, 2018

A few years back I had signed up for Gold's Gym. Went two times in the beginning and then told them I wanna cancel my membership. They told me it was all set and canceled. Later on I got a call saying I owed them after I thought everything was squared off. At least that's what I was told. I went in and they told me I owe I believe it was about 500.00. Have to go in my files and get the paperwork. I went in and the guy told me if I sign this paper and open a new account he will take off the bill and tell collections. Collections called me many times and every time I went back to Gold's Gym and they told me that everything is all set. I don't owe anything.

Stopped by there 1 last time and he told me to pay 15.00 and the account is closed. Ok. Last week after a year the collection agency called me about it. Told me they need proof. I went back to Gold's Gym and the guy tells me I got 2 accounts and I owe over 1000.00??? How is that possible? I went to the gym two times for 2 hrs the most and this is the outcome. He told me if I make a new membership with him and stay active for 3 months he will delete the Bills. So I paid 150.00 on Mother's Day. The same day my newborn child was born with a low income as is all 'cause I can't afford to pay them 1200.00 for something I never encountered. Now I got to pay 150.00 for the 3 months just to get them to hopefully keep their word this time and stop charging me and messing up my credit for something I never go to. I feel like they hustled me.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Prices changed on classes. My contact was up so cancelled in Jan but they didn't cancel in timely matter. I was told last payment on 2/16/18, nope, two more payments came out in March. I have called several times and getting runaround, here we are in mid May no answer when. Bad business. They need their money to run a business and I paid but don't care. I am retired and need my money too.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I don't know anything about Gold's Gym other than it's on my credit report. I have never been nor would I go. I dunno if they just let people use other people's identity or what? Sad they let this happen when it's affecting my credit.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I went to this gym because it seemed simple, affordable and close to home. The initial staff were very friendly and helpful. I moved out of the state and went through the ridiculous cancellation process of mailing a letter to ABC financial TWICE. They charged me for November and December when I wasn't even living in the state or country anymore. ABC assured me that they would put an immediate stop payment and fix this issue.

I thought it was fixed until I saw 3 months later 3x payments pending on my card. I immediately flagged as fraud with my credit card on a stop payment, I spoke with ABC who said on their end the payments were stopped and they were charged directly by the gym. I now speak with the manager of the gym who said they had sent me collections (NEVER RECEIVED ANYTHING since speaking with ABC and being told payments were stopped). I also spoke to someone at the gym back in December who also told me it was taken care of. What a nightmare, this gym is definitely not worth this hassle of cancelling, having not stepped foot in the gym for over 8 months and still dealing with this.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Gold's Gym seems to be fast losing its original charm. The branch at Pune, Hadapsar, India which we joined seems only to focus on saving cost. Complaints either go unattended or at best partly attended. Each year for instance Swim pool is not regularly filtered. Shower rooms don't work and have broken latches and knobs for months at stretch. The Manager there has very good lung power and thus most customers are made to shut up and give up. Survival strategy seems to be by getting new enrollment, even though short-lived, as opposed to working on long-term members. It is Time the Gold Gym HQ took some interest to rekindle the lost glory.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Gold's it's not just a gym - it's a mindset. I've experienced other gyms, never longer than a year. Gold's is what I call my home away from home. I simply do not believe any bad reviews because I know this family since joining in 2009, and they are accommodating to their members. Look, you can go to another gym and feel hallow. Or you can join a team/ family... If you want support, you get it. If you wanna just work out and be left alone, you can have that too. I can talk forever, but the 1 way to find out for yourself is get over there and see for yourself. It cost nothing for a free pass!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I joined Gold's Gym a few months ago at the Baxter and Clayton Rd location in St. Louis, MO. This location used to be 24 Hour Fitness which I was a member years ago. I never had the following issues. 1) Men's Locker Room: Some of the inside of the lockers have a sign not to use the lockers with a personal lock because it's easy for others to break into them and instead, members should use their rental lockers with built-in locks. When I first joined, I asked if such lockers were available and the salesperson said that members need to bring their own locks. 2) Many of the lockers on the inside are damp and have leftover items in it. I have complained and was advised they only clean out lockers before close or early in the morning but no more.

3) Showers: The floor has drainage problems because the floor is often flooded between the shower stalls; not all of the shower stalls close; shower heads often don’t work or spray in several directions and are filthy; the Hot/Cold Water labels are different than how the handle actually works; the inside shower doors 'always' has what appears to be soap and water stains or semen. MOLD: The shower walls 'always' have large orange stains. Last week, I went into the first stall on the right and after accidentally backing up to my upper back against the wall, I jumped after noticing what appeared to be a grouping of spotted orange and pink stains out from the faucet handle which had a dark orange-pinkish ring around it.

I quickly went to another stall which also had similar stains on the walls and around the faucet handle. Thank God for shower shoes! I felt so disgusted that I wanted to take shower from the shower! Speaking of shower shoes; the floor is often nasty to look at as well; with buildup on some areas and orange spots or black spots on other areas. Also, at times, the soap dispenser on the wall is broken in on the floor in others. The soap; it is a foam but it dissolves quickly at first the touch of water and is useless for showering. *I have reported the showers to employees at the front desk but comments are usually; "Thanks for telling us;" "It is cleaned daily" which I call BS!

4) The Hot Tub: At times, the water is luke-warm; or when sitting in it, the holes where the water shoots out of (not the jets) near the steps, feels like scalding water when my body is too close. At times there is floating fuzzies, what looks like pieces of food or dirt, or. The sign on the wall in the pool says, "If need to report issues to contact the Health Department not Gold's Gym." 5) When I first joined, the hours were still in effect for the 24 hours which helped with my work shifts till 11p and 1a shifts to use the hot tub after a long workday. About 2 weeks after joining, the hours were changed with closing at 11 pm (M-F) and 8p (S/Su). I was locked into a 3 month contract.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

My experience with Gold's began with my checking out the month-to-month with no app fee online offer. When I got to the pay screen, up popped 2 months charges, not just one, so I did not press enter to pay, I deleted all my credit card info and backed completely out of the site. A couple of weeks later, there were Gold's Gym charges on my credit card (the card I never actually entered) - charges for a bit more than 2 months. I went to the gym and was told that wasn't possible, they said they could see that I attempted to sign up but I had not completed it! You can't get out of there without a lengthy spiel - okay, I must go online to request a refund and I could then sign up for the month-to-month. I did so, but there was no month-to-month with free application anymore - now it had to be a 4 month contract. Like a fool, I signed up. (The gym is practically at my back door and so convenient.)

There were then 2 separate occasions wherein I was told when I checked in that the name on my account did not match the name associated with my membership tag. Ok, so they said never mind, they fixed it - both times. Then there was the issue of no classes if you are the only one participating. You go and wait for them to round up the class instructor, then are told to wait while they try to find someone else to participate, and wind up leaving without a class. I went in the gym on January 8 and told the manager I wanted to cancel my membership. He said I could not cancel until February. He also had trouble finding my account online (wanted to show me I had signed up for 4 months), then found it and said the name was wrong! OK, he fixed the name and then printed out a stack of pages with x's all over them. I asked what is that? He said my electronic signatures. He said come back in Feb.

There was no legitimate reason for him not to process the cancellation at that time, with an effective date of Feb. By then I was really annoyed and went home to check out the contract. When I went online to check out the contract, I got a message that my name is not associated with the bar code on my card! I called the gym on February 12 and told the girl who answered that my name is not on my account. She gave some completely incomprehensible reason for that. I told her, "I had been in to cancel and was told it could not be done until February so now please have the manager cancel for me." I was told the manager would call me. I told her I do not want the manager to call me - I already put in my cancellation request with him and I do not have time to go through another sales pitch. I don't know how they could possibly legally require anything more of me in order for me to gain a cancellation.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Absolute WORST customer service experience I've ever encountered from a gym. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR A MEMBERSHIP!!! They do not hold their employees accountable. I spoke to an employee who failed to disclose pertinent information regarding the terms of the contract so he could get that quick new membership notch on his belt. Management refused to even apologize for his employee's actions. I asked if the employee that lied to me would be sat down and management said no. Management said that Gold's Gym offers excellent training!

Apparently they train their employees to mislead their members and/or prospective members. I work for Enterprise who knows that customer service is the most important part of a company. This company along with other respectable companies go out of their way to ensure customer satisfaction. I will never refer anyone to Gold's Gym. This gym fails to meet the minimum expectations that we as consumers should expect.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I just found out that the facility in Phillipsburg, NJ allowed a minor to sign a membership contract, not only for herself, but her boyfriend as well. We all moved to NC and they were also told the contract would be cancelled if they moved to an area where there isn't a facility. They keep contacting these kids after my husband contacted the facility, ABC Financial (payment processing), and corporate. Nobody seems to care that Chelsea broke the law by allowing a minor to enter into a contract and now nobody will cancel it. I emailed the liaison between the company and the facility and did not get a response. She was also told when she signed up that she couldn't have a copy of the contract because she was a minor. Imagine that.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Staff is non engaged at least with a carefree attitude. As in stay, go, or whatever you like just don't disturb my phone time. The facility is clean. The folks doing that seem dedicated to that. Very good. Upkeep- if it works ok if not we get to it one day. Customer satisfaction is 0. Local management isn't going to answer emails, complaints, or anything of that nature. Hours, again keep dwindling to less. Value poor. Current access and facilities would be a value at 15.00 A month. There are so many negative reviews on Google and here but yet nothing is followed up on.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I joined this gym and signed up for a trainer, terrible mistake!!! I had health issues, a car accident and two deaths in my family from out of state requiring back and forth travel to help out prior to losing them. I guess these things happen when you age. This gym never gave me copies of any contract I signed. None!! I tried to get online. Found someone associated with Gold's Gym that I thought was helping me - they disappeared after several emails. I finally managed to get to their website and found one contract, the gym, printed it out and discovered I needed to call the gym. I did and was informed I needed to send a certified, notarized letter or come in person to cancel. This is approaching ridiculous now.

I go in and the gym manager cancels my gym membership BUT!! I HAVE TO MEET WITH SOMEONE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ON THE TRAINER. I'm informed on trainer contract, that I never received, that I will be billed until April. I said I no longer have gym membership and cannot use a trainer, too bad I will be billed. I signed a contract. I said I would stop payment on my card. He said they would turn over to collections. I never received a copy of this contract. The trainer isn't getting paid if I don't go for sessions. It goes to administration. This is a racket. They are robbing people here. I can't go to any future sessions if gym membership is cancelled so just what are they doing. This may sound petty but it's $180 a month.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Was very happy with Gold's Gym Live Oak, all instructors and staff welcoming and positive. Little did I realize what a high bar they set until moved to Hill Country Village. Classes canceled without reflecting on the website, amplified by a "Who cares," attitude by staff. Finally canceled membership right after Christmas. Manager says they are charging me another month because I canceled with 29 days notice instead of 30 days notice. "Sorry" is not only the manager's reply, it is the quality of service.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Today been kick out from Hurghada branch of Gold's Gym as they start to work just at 3 pm because all Staff is praying. Firstly no one told me while I made membership that gym is working from 3 pm at Fridays, Second, I really wonder why they can't have a Christian employee to handle facility working at Friday, why should I waste half of my day off because of someone's religious reason, And last - why I have to be kicked out of cafe zone in gym where I planning waiting until 3 pm, it's abusing and so rude attitude, I wonder how such a well known brand as Gold's Gym left such a poor management to Egyptian branch.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Few times a year I would freeze my account due to traveling. This time I did two week in advanced. However I notice that they charge me, however the whole thing is mean they supposed to not charge! So I called them and they playing dumb, like they never got my email, I sent them a copy of original that I sent, they keep playing dumb. Asking me to sent them an email that will show email that I use. Such a waste of my time. I hate this gym and now their customer service!!! Never had issues with 24 Hour Fitness, except they closed for remodeling. Cannot wait for them to open again!!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I have a contract at Gold's Gym Laval that started when the gym opened. I recently moved to another city far from the gym and won't be able to go to the gym anymore. I requested a cancellation but I kept getting a very hard time with the employees at the gym and sometimes a rude service. Transferring my membership is not a very good option, my contract is for 9.99$ but when I transfer it becomes 18.99$ for the new member instead of the current price of 23.99$ which is not very enticing PLUS there is a 49$ + tx fee! I am really disappointed with the service I am getting especially since I really have no way of going to this gym since I am now living too far from it.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Myself and my fiance decided we would like to join a gym here in Montclair CA. I had received some emails for free trials so we picked Gold's Gym to go look at, as soon as we both walked in the door we felt like we were at a car lot, there were 8 or 9 young men at tables waiting to sign you up. Don't get me wrong. The gym is very nice but here is where it gets uncomfortable, by the time we did the walk through tour sat back down to talk about our free trial.

Had another young man come over to explain to us that our membership was only going to cost us $899.00 a piece for 3 months which included a personal trainer 2 times a week, plus $150.00 a piece to sign up plus a $30.00 fee for something else. We were shocked. As I stated I felt as if we were buying a new car. Oh and by the way the 7 day free trial only cost $31.00 and change. Needless to say we didn't sign up. We walked in looking for a very low key work-out and not something that would have cost us close to $2500.00 dollars for 3 months. Did I mention we are 60 years old lol. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have NEVER belonged to Gold's Gym Santa Barbara - yet every 2 months I receive a voice message that my credit card expired and I need to call the Goleta or downtown gyms to update my credit card. When I call the manager to complain, they check, apologize and then ask me if I want a week at the club to make it up to me! I NEVER said yes. Is this a tactic to bring in new business? Disgusting and unethical. Such a hassle for me to keep calling them back. They never stop!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have a month-to-month membership to Gold's Gym. I have called the gym to cancel my membership and was told that only the manager can cancel the membership. I've called and emailed the manager, but have not had any reply. It's now passed the 30 day notification. This is unacceptable. It's like Gold's Gym does not want it to be easy to cancel. I will not recommend anyone to Gold's Gym.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

My husband and I are members at Gold's Gym on Danforth and Santa Fe in Edmond Oklahoma and have been for many years. I am 6 months pregnant and wanted to maybe use the Gold's on Memorial because my friends use the gym. We went in to possibly upgrade on 09/20/2017 at around 8:00 PM from a one club membership to an all club when Simon ** sat my husband and I down and tried to pressure us to cancel our current memberships and start all over with a processing fee and initiation fee as well. He said he could waive the initiation fee but we had to pay for the first and last month again. I told him it sounded a little shady so he told us if we didn't sign up again we could get out of his club or pay a day fee?

We are already members and I would have liked to try the club out and then upgrade to an all club membership but instead I left the club in tears because of how he treated us. He was very aggressive with me and made me feel scared to even see him again. He has some scary tattoos all up and down his arms that he showed off to intimidate us and used a very stern voice while he was grinding his teeth talking to us. I felt like we could have been attacked by this man if we didn't leave. I've working in HR before and this man is by far the worst person I have ever talked to. He should not be representing your company at all and is going to be the downfall of this club.

I know over 50 people that take classes and use that gym. I was invited by my girl friend to come and check it out and this very unprofessional maniac kicked us out. Even the front desk guy was confused when we were leaving because we came in and told him we are here to use the gym and upgrade. I really hope you handle this problem because a cancer like this can and will destroy your reputation in our community. Word of mouth spreads very fast. Simon ** is a very bad person who only cares about money and getting a sale. He looked at us like his paycheck that he needs very bad and seemed very desperate. We are definitely not going back if he still works for your company and we will tell all of our friends about our experience.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I signed up for a year with Gold's Gym in TX, went for a couple of months and then stopped going. No big deal, just lost interest but understood I would be charged for that full year and was fine with it. Per my online account my contract ended in June 2017. Turns out as an added 'convenience' they go month to month after your contract ends and you physically have to come in and cancel your account. It is now September and I have been paying them for nothing since June. They will not refund this, AND, when I went in to cancel they are still going to charge me another payment to complete the full month. In summary, these people are the worst and this is as close to scam as a service can be, at least in my opinion.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I went to a Gold's Gym on Patton Ave. in Asheville. I was directly lied to about how my information was to be used by the front staff (even before I joined the gym). They were overly nice and sticky sweet. I joined on a no-contract offer and signed on with 4 sessions of personal training at $63 a piece with a trainer called Kyle. He did not, at that time, disclose to me that he had given his two weeks, and that the sessions were nonrefundable. The two sessions I had were not helpful, I basically just paid for a print off and that initial motivation that gets you to come in once a week. The day of our third session he texted me and to cancel due to family emergency. Then, after a week of asking around, I found out he had left that gym. That would have been ok, but because he had terminated without communicating that to his clients, or that no other member on the Gold's Gym staff sought to inform said clients, showed lack of corporate integrity.

Finally, after 3 weeks, the manager came out and told me there is no refund or transference of the last two weeks of sessions. I could gift them to someone or use them myself, that was all. She also had no way to give me a third party's another Gold's Gym staff member to contact, that of which is hardly credible. Gold's Gym doesn't care about you, your personal fitness goals, or their corporate integrity. Good luck and avoid the training sessions.

Gold's Gym expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Gold’s Gym was founded in 1965 in Venice, California. After being featured in a bodybuilding documentary in 1977 starring Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gold’s Gym gained popularity and expanded internationally. It now has over 700 company-owned and franchise locations in 38 states and 28 countries.

• Fully equipped: Gold’s Gym built its reputation through a commitment to functional, state-of-the-art equipment. It continuously updates its fitness equipment and programs to reflect the latest developments in the fitness industry and exercise science.

• Group exercise options: Gold’s Gym offers many fitness classes, including popular options like spin class, mixed martial arts, Zumba, Pilates, yoga and more.

• Personal trainers: Gold’s Gym employs certified personal trainers to help customers plan fitness programs and meet goals. You can work with a trainer one-on-one or in group training sessions.

• Child care area: Customers who have children may appreciate Gold’s Gym’s child care areas. Kids can participate in supervised activities, crafts and games while parents and caregivers exercise.

• Express locations: While most Gold’s Gym locations are large, fully-appointed fitness centers, the company recognizes that some customers prefer a smaller, less intimidating workout experience. The new Gold’s Gym Express is a no-frills, basic gym for those who prefer a fast, simple workout. There are currently ten Express locations with plans to open more.

• Best for: athletes, fitness buffs and novices.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs