Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.36/5

Gold's Gym Reviews

Original review: March 14, 2020

I went to Gold's Gym due to a free pass period where it was advertised that anyone could try out golds gym for free. Went to a location, made an account, used their equipment, and left after a few days, forgetting about it. I even thought about signing up for just a month since it was nice. But when I made my account, I couldn't manage my membership, which I thought was odd, but I decided just to go without a gym membership. Then I forgot about it for a couple months until I figured out they have been charging me $43 a month.

Here's where the problem began. I again went to my profile to try and cancel my membership, but the manage membership option was still unavailable. I called and asked about how to cancel, and I've been told I had signed up for a 12-month contract with golds gym!!! What a scam!!! What I signed up for was not just to make an account for a few days, but scammed into a full year with them!!! And to cancel my membership, I have to pay a $100 fee, not even online but I have to do it in person, because I'm the one making them the victim! What a scam! Stay the hell away from this gym, never even sign up, never give them ANY info whatsoever, because they will steal money from you! Heres what

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I've had a Gold's family membership for over seven years and the monthly membership fees were charged automatically to my credit card. I'm 72 years old and had several surgeries and can no longer utilize the gym. My kids no longer live at home. I called to cancel my family membership and was told I had to come in and cancel in person.

On July 10, 2019 I went to the gym and cancelled my family membership, and filled out their cancellation questionnaire. No one from Gold's indicated that there was a problem cancelling the membership. I thought my membership was cancelled, but Gold's Gym continued charging my credit card. When I called and emailed about the problem, Gold's contact person said my son had to cancel the membership. I told them the charges were against my credit card and I want the membership cancelled and I want a credit for the unauthorized charges. They refused to cancel the membership until my son went there in person, and then they refused to refund the money for months of unauthorized charges. BEWARE doing business with Gold's Gym.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I cancelled my membership in December, they withdrew money from my account, so I called my bank and stopped future payments since they are know from what I read they keep milking your account. They kept on calling me wanting additional money saying I should give a 30 days notice and I owe them additional renewal fees, I told them, "Why I should pay you renewal fee when I am leaving you," I paid for two weeks and I am willing to pay the additional two weeks just to get rid of them, they refused. ANYONE WANTS TO JOIN THIS PLACE DON'T SIGN ANYTHING. IT'S A RIP OFF PLACE.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

The place is dirty, the equipment is old and broken. @4:30am I have to wait for equipment or have to 'ad lib' because the equipment is so old. The last two times I've gone to Gold's I've gotten really sick and I want to cancel my membership because we aren't living in a clean environment, and the last thing I need is to catch something that will make me terminally ill or worse, kill me.

Gold's creates a hassle for people who they don't respect for wanting to keep their health in check without being subject to a pool of illness. Having Gold's create even more hassles for people who want out and don't want to use the facility should be granted, respected, and given immediately. There shouldn't be a problem with this. I shouldn't have to be punished for joining Gold's gym. It's ridiculous to make people go through so much of a hassle and not respect their reasons for canceling. I don't want to be treated with threats of paying more money because you don't respect that I don't want to use your facilities.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I registered for Gold Gym on Dec. 2nd 2019 and I cancelled it on Dec. 30th 2019. Between this period, they charged me $154. This is robbery. They advertised that the charge is $21 when you sign month to month contract plus $29 starting fee. I agreed. I later realized that they were charging me $21 every 2 weeks. They charged me $29 on 12/02/2019, $21 on 12/07/2019, $21 on 12/21/2019. I went on 12/30/2019 to complain. After the discussion, I realized that they are fraudulent. I told the young lady to cancel my account and she charged me again $42 and $39.99 on the 30th of December 2019. This action can only be defined as daytime robbery.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I went in to cancel my membership for my entire family and filled out all of the paperwork. Gold's Gym submitted all of the paperwork, but lost my paperwork and will not reimburse me for the months that they have charged me. I have talked to them on the phone numerous times and they have assured me that the membership is cancelled, but the keep charging me every month.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

It's so sad. I cancelled my gym membership on OCT with the general manager. Then I get calls in DEC saying I owe my renewal fee and monthly payment. So I called and went to the Golds Gym and was told “I never went to cancel my membership“ by the general manager who I signed the cancellation form with in OCT. He basically called me liar that I never went and gave me customer service # so I called & she supposedly checked cameras and said I talk another associate and he supposedly gave me a schedule for training that week.

I told them I came in with two friends and the customer service manager said “our cameras don’t show that area“ where I was standing and I told her, "Then how are you confirming that you seen me on the cameras," and she said it cuts off from my shoulder. They made me pay $80 for their mistake... I’m so disappointed and mad I have to pay for their mistake. Misplacing my cancellation form and being called a liar. The customer service manger couldn’t even look at my face.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Folks, Gold's is taking your money, more than is due, because they can. They are either desperately greedy or desperate period and will steal your money once they have a credit card number and signature. ATTORNEYS -- Read state statutes on what is allowed for gyms to do. Gold's breaches those statues voiding out the contracts. What they are doing is illegal but you cannot contest effectively through your credit card as they produce a document with your signature -- even if you never signed the document. The document obligates you. So they could say, "Joe Schmo agrees to pay $500 cleaning fee per month" and then paste your signature onto that notice even if the arrangement was never discussed, you never agreed to it, and never signed -- all they got is your signature on a blank signature sheet and credit card number.

That is sufficient for them to help themselves so however much they want anytime they want even long after you have canceled. These people are unscrupulous, greedy, and thieves -- and the issue plagues ALL THE GYMS worldwide. reflecting that management has decided that theft is a revenue generating strategy for them. Want to get a Gold's franchise? Per Gold's website: "Financially, we’re looking for a minimum net worth of $1 million with liquidity of $400,000. The estimated investment level for a single gym ranges from $2,218,250 to $5,000,500 with an initial franchise fee of $40,000."

Where do they get this money? From YOU, the gullible patron. They STEAL it. They do this shamelessly. No money is invested in the gym. They horde the revenue for themselves, so regardless of what they do to your credit score, the hassle and stress they create through unauthorized billing, the theft of your hard earned assets they consider it "just business" to rob you. Hey you signed on the dotted line and gave them a cc number. What can yo do to stop them? Nothing so they keep billing and billing and billing. Even after you cancel, they will randomly start billing again. They are desperate, immoral, and greedy. They don't care about customer service or health...it's just money money money...and YOU are the product they shake down for profits.

There is grounds for a class action. Start with state statutes and then the billing that proceeds from the point of agreeing to an undisclosed contact to which they refer to justify their theft. Said contract is void out due to their misrepresentations and failure to "deliver" a contract at signing. Violation of state statues voids out the contract. Any money they persist in taking after that point amounts to theft, which provides more claims. Their pattern of theft is predictable and commonplace. Easily millions would constitute a class.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I'll spare you the details of my situation, but suffice to say I have undergone a LONG, TIME-INTENSIVE DISPUTE with my credits card company over unauthorized charges. Basically Gold's had me sign a blank signature sheet and got my credit card number. They never presented a contract AT DELIVERY -- which voids out the contract per state law, if they don't do this. Nevertheless, the billing rate was not as agreed, so I canceled. Gold's continued to bill in random amounts, literally hundreds of dollars, each of which I had to dispute. I canceled membership once the billing fraud become apparent.

BEWARE - THIS IS THE KEY WARNING: Once Gold's has your credit card number and a signature -- even if it's from a blank signature sheet -- they can bill however much you want and it's legitimate since you provided them the information to bill you. They can make up charges, change the terms without your knowledge or consent and then affix your copied signature onto it and present that as authorization to bill however much they want.

My credit card ended up crediting me and writing off Gold's unauthorized billing as a loss to my credit card, but I had to cancel my card as there was nothing to stop Gold's from billing again. If they tried to charge again, Discover would have to pay them. Read the numerous online accounts of these unauthorized charged. Even if you cancel membership, they will wait a few months and then reopen your account and begin billing again. After you cancel, they still bill. Challenge them on this and they never get back to you. Why? They don't have to. They have your cc and signature and can do whatever they want with it. They can try to bill years later, all of this is apparently legal even though it's technically fraudulent and dishonest...This is why they will say and do anything to get a credit card number and signature.

I regret ever having a Gold's membership and lost a credit card over this. I had to cancel just to protect myself from future billing. Notice if you want to buy anything in Gold's -- like a T-shirt, they don't require anything. They just "put it on your tab." They can put anything on your tab including their own rent payments or if they decide to give themselves a $200 christmas bonus. Why? They have your signature and cc and can bill whatever they want, however much they want. Contest it with your cc and Golds will produced your xeroxed signature and whatever paperwork they decided to paste it onto.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

One of the very bad experience I am having at Gold's Gym today. I was just enrolled a few days back here in gold gym. And after getting email from gold Gym that they are closing this location i placed a cancellation request and it was discussed that you have not completed one month so if you place your request within one month then as a one month guarantee program we will not charge you anything. So I placed the cancellation just after 7days. Then it was charged me on 25th Nov..now I checked with them and they saying I need to pay $100 to get it canceled and the manager is very very very very rude.. She is not ready to listen on anything. Please let me know if you have any idea whats needs to do for this situation. As I don't want to pay $100+32 for the 7 day gym and that is not to my fault as the gym is closing otherwise I will never get it canceled. I request everybody Never Ever enroll in Gold gym..simply they took money and flew away..

Gold's Gym expert review by Joey Thurman

Gold’s Gym was founded in 1965 in Venice, California. After being featured in a bodybuilding documentary in 1977 starring Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gold’s Gym gained popularity and expanded internationally. It now has over 700 company-owned and franchise locations in 38 states and 28 countries.

• Fully equipped: Gold’s Gym built its reputation through a commitment to functional, state-of-the-art equipment. It continuously updates its fitness equipment and programs to reflect the latest developments in the fitness industry and exercise science.

• Group exercise options: Gold’s Gym offers many fitness classes, including popular options like spin class, mixed martial arts, Zumba, Pilates, yoga and more.

• Personal trainers: Gold’s Gym employs certified personal trainers to help customers plan fitness programs and meet goals. You can work with a trainer one-on-one or in group training sessions.

• Child care area: Customers who have children may appreciate Gold’s Gym’s child care areas. Kids can participate in supervised activities, crafts and games while parents and caregivers exercise.

• Express locations: While most Gold’s Gym locations are large, fully-appointed fitness centers, the company recognizes that some customers prefer a smaller, less intimidating workout experience. The new Gold’s Gym Express is a no-frills, basic gym for those who prefer a fast, simple workout. There are currently ten Express locations with plans to open more.

• Best for: athletes, fitness buffs and novices.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Gold's Gym Company Information