2.9/5 (1642 ratings)

About Gold's Gym

Gold's Gym Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gold's Gym?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I went in to cancel my membership for my entire family and filled out all of the paperwork. Gold's Gym submitted all of the paperwork, but lost my paperwork and will not reimburse me for the months that they have charged me. I have talked to them on the phone numerous times and they have assured me that the membership is cancelled, but the keep charging me every month.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

It's so sad. I cancelled my gym membership on OCT with the general manager. Then I get calls in DEC saying I owe my renewal fee and monthly payment. So I called and went to the Golds Gym and was told “I never went to cancel my membership“ by the general manager who I signed the cancellation form with in OCT. He basically called me liar that I never went and gave me customer service # so I called & she supposedly checked cameras and said I talk another associate and he supposedly gave me a schedule for training that week.

I told them I came in with two friends and the customer service manager said “our cameras don’t show that area“ where I was standing and I told her, "Then how are you confirming that you seen me on the cameras," and she said it cuts off from my shoulder. They made me pay $80 for their mistake... I’m so disappointed and mad I have to pay for their mistake. Misplacing my cancellation form and being called a liar. The customer service manger couldn’t even look at my face.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Folks, Gold's is taking your money, more than is due, because they can. They are either desperately greedy or desperate period and will steal your money once they have a credit card number and signature. ATTORNEYS -- Read state statutes on what is allowed for gyms to do. Gold's breaches those statues voiding out the contracts. What they are doing is illegal but you cannot contest effectively through your credit card as they produce a document with your signature -- even if you never signed the document. The document obligates you. So they could say, "Joe Schmo agrees to pay $500 cleaning fee per month" and then paste your signature onto that notice even if the arrangement was never discussed, you never agreed to it, and never signed -- all they got is your signature on a blank signature sheet and credit card number.

That is sufficient for them to help themselves so however much they want anytime they want even long after you have canceled. These people are unscrupulous, greedy, and thieves -- and the issue plagues ALL THE GYMS worldwide. reflecting that management has decided that theft is a revenue generating strategy for them. Want to get a Gold's franchise? Per Gold's website: "Financially, we’re looking for a minimum net worth of $1 million with liquidity of $400,000. The estimated investment level for a single gym ranges from $2,218,250 to $5,000,500 with an initial franchise fee of $40,000."

Where do they get this money? From YOU, the gullible patron. They STEAL it. They do this shamelessly. No money is invested in the gym. They horde the revenue for themselves, so regardless of what they do to your credit score, the hassle and stress they create through unauthorized billing, the theft of your hard earned assets they consider it "just business" to rob you. Hey you signed on the dotted line and gave them a cc number. What can yo do to stop them? Nothing so they keep billing and billing and billing. Even after you cancel, they will randomly start billing again. They are desperate, immoral, and greedy. They don't care about customer service or health...it's just money money money...and YOU are the product they shake down for profits.

There is grounds for a class action. Start with state statutes and then the billing that proceeds from the point of agreeing to an undisclosed contact to which they refer to justify their theft. Said contract is void out due to their misrepresentations and failure to "deliver" a contract at signing. Violation of state statues voids out the contract. Any money they persist in taking after that point amounts to theft, which provides more claims. Their pattern of theft is predictable and commonplace. Easily millions would constitute a class.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I'll spare you the details of my situation, but suffice to say I have undergone a LONG, TIME-INTENSIVE DISPUTE with my credits card company over unauthorized charges. Basically Gold's had me sign a blank signature sheet and got my credit card number. They never presented a contract AT DELIVERY -- which voids out the contract per state law, if they don't do this. Nevertheless, the billing rate was not as agreed, so I canceled. Gold's continued to bill in random amounts, literally hundreds of dollars, each of which I had to dispute. I canceled membership once the billing fraud become apparent.

BEWARE - THIS IS THE KEY WARNING: Once Gold's has your credit card number and a signature -- even if it's from a blank signature sheet -- they can bill however much you want and it's legitimate since you provided them the information to bill you. They can make up charges, change the terms without your knowledge or consent and then affix your copied signature onto it and present that as authorization to bill however much they want.

My credit card ended up crediting me and writing off Gold's unauthorized billing as a loss to my credit card, but I had to cancel my card as there was nothing to stop Gold's from billing again. If they tried to charge again, Discover would have to pay them. Read the numerous online accounts of these unauthorized charged. Even if you cancel membership, they will wait a few months and then reopen your account and begin billing again. After you cancel, they still bill. Challenge them on this and they never get back to you. Why? They don't have to. They have your cc and signature and can do whatever they want with it. They can try to bill years later, all of this is apparently legal even though it's technically fraudulent and dishonest...This is why they will say and do anything to get a credit card number and signature.

I regret ever having a Gold's membership and lost a credit card over this. I had to cancel just to protect myself from future billing. Notice if you want to buy anything in Gold's -- like a T-shirt, they don't require anything. They just "put it on your tab." They can put anything on your tab including their own rent payments or if they decide to give themselves a $200 christmas bonus. Why? They have your signature and cc and can bill whatever they want, however much they want. Contest it with your cc and Golds will produced your xeroxed signature and whatever paperwork they decided to paste it onto.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

One of the very bad experience I am having at Gold's Gym today. I was just enrolled a few days back here in gold gym. And after getting email from gold Gym that they are closing this location i placed a cancellation request and it was discussed that you have not completed one month so if you place your request within one month then as a one month guarantee program we will not charge you anything. So I placed the cancellation just after 7days. Then it was charged me on 25th Nov..now I checked with them and they saying I need to pay $100 to get it canceled and the manager is very very very very rude.. She is not ready to listen on anything. Please let me know if you have any idea whats needs to do for this situation. As I don't want to pay $100+32 for the 7 day gym and that is not to my fault as the gym is closing otherwise I will never get it canceled. I request everybody Never Ever enroll in Gold gym..simply they took money and flew away..

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I am a regular customer at Senapati Bapat Road gym, Pune (Maharashtra) India. This gym is ruining all the good image of GOLDS. They are not providing even the necessary facilities. A/C here is not working at least 3-4 days of the month. Water Boiler is not working since last 2 months. The Manager here is a rich lady, keeps working out for herself & not paying attention to the GYM needs. They even not providing a Complain register. Take care, as it hampers your GYM's image.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I paid close to 400.00 for an annual membership for my son in August in good faith paying all up front instead of them billing my son monthly. My son wanted to quit the gym in November and I went into the Pasadena Golds location and spoke to Frank as the manager who downloaded my son’s paperwork and told me he doesn’t do refunds in any golds location. That refunds are done through a third party company for which he gave me their business card. I called that company and they told me they don’t do annual membership refunds. I went back to Frank who informed me that I would be charged a 100.00 cancellation despite all memberships requiring just a 30 day notice and charge for the monthly 31.00 charge not 100.00. He submitted the refund request and nothing has been done to rectify our charges amount of over 350.00. It’s been hell.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

The credit card I use to pay Gold's Gym was stolen, so I locked it and requested a new one. The next day my payment hit, and the request was declined. I received a nasty voicemail from them stating my account was 60 days overdue and it was going to collections. I immediately called the customer service line and he informed me that it was only ONE day past due, and they sometimes have "glitches" with their notification system. Picked up my cancellation form today and will be permanently cancelling this account tomorrow. Fingers crossed that they don't try to scam me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I don't trust this company at all. They make it extremely hard to cancel and almost impossible to talk to anyone about billing concerns. Cancellation does not stop their billing for a full two billing cycles. There's no benefit to the consumer to pay for a month after cancellation. On site staff is either not knowledgeable or does not care and customer service does not exist over the phone. Had to beg for proof of cancellation. I will make sure anyone who I talk to knows never to join.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

The contact support option does not allow contact with a person. This would not be bad except they provide no feedback that a support ticket was created. There is no ticket reference number to track or refer to. There is no email confirming you submitted a ticket. There is no phone line to contact a rep for help. It is a false, misleading and abusive member system that no member or user can circumvent or gain access to any form of a solution. Contacting a local office does no help, because they are not the recipients of these help tickets, or at least every ticket that's been submitted by me has never been seen at my gym. This is the epitome of falseness, misdirection and member abuse taking the face of "support". -JJ

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I would not recommend this gym to my worst enemy! They will say anything to get you to sign up and when you try to cancel they will not honor any of the agreements. It is a very hard process and will not respond to you if you escalate the matter. ALL THEY WANT IS YOUR MONEY! The gyms are dirty and always understaffed. Save your time and energy and go to ANY other gym!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I cancelled the membership in person (at local gym) several months ago, but I keep getting billed every month. Upon consulting the Gold's Gym customer service department, I have been advised to scan the cancellation form (it has the cancellation date written on it and the manager's signature) and send it to their e-mail, which I did immediately. NO REFUND. A month later, I get billed another $39.99, contact the customer service again, NO RESPONSE. This had never happened in my whole entire life, and just this whole process I am going through is so exhausting and frustrating. Probably called/e-mail more than ten times; felt like no one is there to help. All they want is your money. I had to contact my bank to report fraud and let them take care of this issue. AVOID!!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

After joining the gym, which I loved, a few months later, Feb of 2019 I began working remotely unable to work out at the Montgomery Location. Joined the gym NOT on a contract. I visited the gym, gave very specific instruction to cancel my membership, I could not work out there any longer.. Was a somber visit.. I was billed again in March so I made the assumption it was retro vs. pre use billing.

I was billed again in April so I got in touch with Corporate who said I had to mail a letter, which I did. It is not October and I've been bullied and billed by this company RELENTLESSLY SINCE EXPRESSING MY WILL TO STOP BACK IN LATE FEB EARLY MARCH. Every time I put funds in my USAA checking account they steal it, phone calls, credit damage, they are the most ruthless company and they know it. They are the only site without a "Contact Us" in their footer I've ever seen. This has to be why, and I cannot be alone in this. Please check my Montgomery review in Yelp, also Google review and respond so we can gather momentum to stop this business from stealing from good people.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I fulfilled my contract and they continued to debit my account for 600$... Whatever you do DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH GOLD'S GYM. And you can't contact customer service, please don't do business with these crooks.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I met all requirements on the 30 days money back form, but the billing section kept saying they do not have my complete profile in the system. No way to get the money back. Also, I have to pay for another monthly fee and annual maintenance fee. Working on the legal action as well as my credit card company to get my refund. I will never ever recommend this gym to anyone else.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I was told through a “promotion” I could go month to month and cancel anytime I pleaded, When I went in for cancellation cause the gyms sucked I was told I was going to have to pay a cancellation fee, Never was this brought to my attention otherwise I would have never signed up, I could go on and on how much Gold's Gym is trash from the facilities to the staff, Over all I will never EVER encourage anyone to get a membership here.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Management instructed employees to purposely fake email addresses so that if or when you cancel your membership they will ignore the request because after they search your email upon cancellation, it will not exist in their files so they will ignore it and then be able to receive extra monthly dues while you are unaware they did not receive your notice. I filed complaint with BBB and went through process with the facts and Gold's still after the complaint that I filed 2 months ago are still billing me. I went back and forth with manager and she is well aware I moved out of state and that she and her employee lied and were caught in that lie and still are billing me.. RIDICULOUS. I WILL BE FILING A POLICE REPORT IN THE LOCAL CITY AS SOON AS I RETURN HOME FROM A BUSINESS TRIP.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

If I could give Gold’s zero stars I would. They are great when you’re a member. But I went to cancel my membership because the Maryville location had closed. The employee said I didn’t need to cancel my membership and that it would transfer over to National fitness; I just had to go over there. I have now been charged for three months unbeknownst to me.

After being charged two months, I noticed. I was told, contradicting what the employee initially said, that my home location wasn’t Maryville, so yes I did need to cancel and no they would not refund me due to their employee’s incompetence. They assured me I would not be charged for August. And lo and behold, I was charged again. They said I wouldn’t be refunded because it takes 30 days to cancel. So I wouldn’t ever recommend anyone going to Gold’s because if you ever have any issues or need to cancel, they only care about the money and not the customer. Shout out to Phil at Walker Springs location for listening to me rant. But the company still would rather keep the money they got as a result of their employee’s error instead of refund a customer that should have never been charged to begin with...

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Like everyone else I joined the gym believing all it took to cancel it was walking in the gym to cancel it, which I did. A year later I notice the charge was still on my card and of course I asked my CC to stop those payments. Thought I was done. The beginning of the nightmare. I am a homeowner, a professional mother who never missed a payment (mortgage, student loan, car note.... never). My "debt" was sent to collection, never answer random numbers. Their next move, a derogatory remark on my credit history. The score goes down by 38 points. Yes the gym membership can do that. Now am between the so called billing manager, a debt collection agency, not even positive my credit will be fixed. Run for your life!!

Original review: July 12, 2019

When I joined this gym, they told me that it is an easy step to cancel the membership but they don't do cancellations in the gym, they gave me a wrong email where I sent the cancellation details. They called me and said that they would wait until they receive the leasing agreement. I sent leasing agreement, and they called me and asking me to pay off 3 months membership fee. I forwarded both emails and they said that they did not receive the initial email and somehow I did not receive the confirmation for second email. They still demanded to pay off the gym membership fee for three months and they don't understand the leasing agreement. This is **. I asked them to call the apartments to find out. Still they are not ready to do that and want to take membership fee continuing without considering customers. Please DO NOT JOIN GOLD'S GYM. It is the worst of all.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Complaint against Gold Gym Country Hills. My husband got membership last year in September. After that he got a gallbladder surgery and so he couldn’t continue. So this year he transferred the membership to my name for which he had to pay as well! However due to some reasons now I'm not able to continue with it and want to end the membership but when my husband went to ask to cancel the membership he is told he signed a 3 yr contract???

NOBODY, I say NOBODY informed him about this 3 year contract at the time of getting the membership as he wasn’t looking to sign such a long contract at the first place!!!! If he would have been conveyed about this 3 yrs term he wouldn’t have gotten the membership! Country Hills gym is a total scam and I am going to report it to the Consumer Protection of Alberta about its unethical practices as well! It's totally unethical to ask for 200$ for cancellation!! Nobody should be a victim of this Gym.. I'm going to make everybody aware of how these guys are ripping off people without their consent!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I reached out to the gym and their manager to let them know that I’ve been overcharged. They found the charges erroneous but they said I waited too long to bring it to their attention so I would not be getting a refund. It was a little less than a month later because I had used their website to complain about it first. Very angry about this.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The staff members are rude and does not provide you with information when you register then lie to say they advised you on the day of registration. Read and ask questions when you go to register at Gold's Gym. Especially their parking and they refuse to want to speak to you after making a complaint. They refuse to accept their mistakes of not informing us of registering our car details everytime we attend the gym. They expected you to know by reading their banners. Management and services are poor.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have struggled with my weight since I was thirteen years old. Never had anyone to tell me not to eat this or workout like this to stay fit and healthy. All through high school I was overweight. Never had a boyfriend, never got picked when choosing teams, and never went to prom. After going off to college, my weight hit an all-time high. Losing my grandmother and my grades pumping down. I dropped out due to my mom needing help after my grandmother's funeral. I got a decent job and decide it was time to make a change. I joined our local gym after I saw the ad ten dollars a month. I had lost 30 pounds in 6 months. I had started dating my now fiance. After a year I had lost 60 pounds and I found out I was pregnant. I called to cancel my membership but the lady on the phone said I had to come in and cancel my membership. When that weekend came up I went in, filled out the paperwork and my member was canceled.

A year later after having my baby, I receive a letter in the mail saying that I owe two hundred dollars for a membership that should have been cancelled about two years ago. I was thinking this has got to be a mistake so I called the local Gold's gym. I explained my membership should have been cancelled over two years ago. She says,"there nothing in our system about you cancelling your membership and you owe one hundred dollars and forty-five cent and much more. It says here you haven't been here in seven hundred days. That's why your account is so high". "Look I came to your facility and filled out paper and everything. Obviously, I have been there in almost three years. I didn't know my account was still open". "Well, there nothing in the system about you cancelling. There's nothing I can do". This is just another story of the rich preying on the poor.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I lost my debit card, so I had to cancelled it. When I went to Gold’s Gym to give them my new debit card info, they had already the info!! Wonder how they found the new information (they couldn't tell me how) and why they used it without my authorization! I was told that this is a FRAUD! Of course I ended up cancelling my membership. Not going there anymore.

Original review: March 25, 2019

In January, I brought in a new debit card. However, my January payment didn't go through. Figured this meant our no commitment agreement (which they are now calling a contract) was void. I stopped going, obviously. Only now I apparently owe for three months, due to their error in entering my new account information. Won't even work with me on making smaller payments.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I got tasked for deployment, and proceeded to get my Gold's Gym account cancelled. To my knowledge and what the members told me, it was good to go. Fast track up to today, and I've been getting charged for a long time. They still charged me when I explicitly remember coming to them in person for cancellation. They'd rather have me sign and consent to all the charges on services I never used, and have the manager only available during my work hours. Silly. This is a shady company for sure.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Cancelled my 2 year contract after a few months. It's pretty easy... Cancel your card on the account, wait three months ($50 per month), Gold's Gym cancels your membership due to non payment and sends you off to debt collection agency, phone call from a debt collection agency ask tell them to send you documentation of their requesting (Swift Funds wanted $400), go to the gym you contracted with (talk to the general manager) and he/she will tell what you owe the gym. In my case it was $150 flat ($50 * 3), I settled my debt with the gym I contracted with in cash and got a receipt and a few days later a copy of a few other papers from Gold's Gym HQ that the debt has been settled and the debt collection agency is out of the picture.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I had been buying personal training packages from Gold’s Gym since July 2018 from a very good trainer, Nick **. I also purchased participation in Gold’s 4-month weight loss/strength training competition/challenge which required working with a personal training and offered training sessions at a discount. I purchased $1872 worth of training only to be told when I showed up for my regularly session that my trainer would be “On vacation for 2 months.”

I requested a refund for the training in person with JR ** (Westlake Manager) within an hour of being noticed that my trainer was on an extended vacation. I was told that he would get back to me within the day, that he didn’t have authority to make the refund. It’s been a week and I have requested the refund 3x. No response from JR **. Obviously I am very dissatisfied. Many of Nick ** clients were seniors. Since this significantly disadvantages seniors, particularly those participating in the competition, IS THIS GOLD'S BIAS AGAINST SENIORS?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I'm not one for writing reviews, but I am fed up. Gold's Gym makes it so you have to be on a automatic payment. That's fine... If they would charge you on the due date. My bank has confirmed they only tried billing me a few days PAST when the money was due. Then they had the nerve to charge a late payment fee. I figured it was maybe a mistake, but can I contact them? NOPE. They only have a customer service number for ordering equipment. On top of this nightmare, I thought I'd just pay (before the actual due date, to avoid the LPF) in the gym itself. Did this work? No. I was instead billed twice for the month of Feb. It would be much better if I could contact them, but they make it impossible.

Gold's Gym Company Information