Call toll free
3.66/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

35 American Addiction Centers Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: June 11, 2019

I've been to the ACC program twice and the only reason why I went back the second time was because of the therapist that I had. I wouldn't be sober today if it weren't for that. My therapist was the absolute best therapist I ever had in the world. I loved it at AAC. Admissions was a little intimidating. There was a lot of paperwork and I have been to other facilities so a lot of paperwork was a lot. But aside from that, they had a great staff and a great clinical team. It was a really down-to-earth facility that I went to at Recovery First in Hollywood and there would be times where we'd go to an outside meeting. This one meeting was where a really close friend of mine died at so they knew it was bothersome to me and we never went back while I was there. It was on another level of care.

When I first got there though and I was moving into residential, one of the techs had just gotten fired. There was an incident while I was there on Christmas. With all the drama stirred up, this tech that had gotten fired. I guess she stirred up a bunch of stuff with the clients. She was telling some people with kids that they didn't love their kids. So that was a little hectic. But that doesn't reflect AAC as a whole. It reflects her.

But within the first two days, a ton of designer stuff and some of my personal properties stored with the techs in safekeeping went missing. The only way that it could've gone missing was through the access of a tech. A $200 perfume was stolen and it had disappeared right when all this happened with this tech and that was the last night that she ever came. I tried to file in for a grievance and a complaint form for it. I would never put any of the techs that are still there accountable but nothing was ever done about it either. I was still disappointed that something was taken like that. I had to continuously file the complaint. Then finally, clinical came back from higher-ups, and I guess they just said that I never had a perfume. So that was a little bothersome. That was the only thing that I wasn't so fond of. But that doesn't even reflect the good times that I had in treatment. So I weighed the good with the bad, and that doesn't even touch the good.

With the way the clinical is set up with the AAC, it definitely keeps you busy. But sometimes, it can be repetitive. Still, the experience was really nice. In a lot of rehabs, you don't have your phone and this and that. But with AAC, you still have that little bit of freedom where you can still have that self-care. You can go to a Walmart, pick up your food and cook it at night. So you still have that sense of responsibility and I enjoyed that.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Nicole, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Recovery First, Hollywood. We take concerns like the one you mentioned very seriously and ask that you reach out to us directly if you'd like to discuss it further. Furthermore, we are pleased to hear you had an overall positive experience with Recovery First and found the therapeutic aspect to be so helpful. We wish you the best in your recovery journey!

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2019

The facility and the people at American Addiction Centers impressed me but it did go downhill while I was there. The place got overcrowded. They were at max capacity and they were feeding us with plastic plates and plastic silverware. We started out with china and silverware and cloth napkins. And before you know it, we were eating off a plastic and we were trying to cut steak and lamb with plastic knives and forks, and cutting right through the foam plates. They attempted to make things better after I complained to the CEO.

There were a few issues that I had problems with and they started dealing with some of them right away. Within a week or so, things started to improve. They made a conscious effort to improve things. But they don't do dishes overnight there so in the morning, we were eating off a foam again. They should hire somebody at minimum wage to wash dishes at night. But in the long run, everything was very good there. The staff was great and so was their approach. I've been to other rehabs. I've been to what's known as the rehab of rehabs, Hazelden, and their approach there was a little different. I really like the approach that they did there at American Addiction Centers in Dallas. I learned a lot. Hopefully, this is the last time I go to one.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Kevin, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with us. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the aspects in which you found frustrating. We are very pleased to hear you had a positive experience overall and found the staff and therapeutic approach to be so effective. We wish you well on your recovery journey!

Original review: April 6, 2019

My mom dropped me off at one of the American Addiction Centers and I was there for around nine days, but I left early because I had to go back to work. The people were very nice. I didn’t ask a lot of questions when I initially did the intake and my counter ended up calling Susan on the phone. I was in the office and I started asking her questions. Susan was the reason I ended up going.

However, AAC is mismanaged. It was a mess even for me to get a letter out to my employer. Usually, you sit down with your counselor. They have a template that they use and they type the names in, then they send it. You sign a release and it takes eight minutes. At AAC, they told me it was gonna take nine days to get a letter out to my employer and I've never heard of that in my life. I shouldn't be stressing about that while I am at rehab. They told me that it had to go through their corporate office in Tennessee or Georgia. At that point, we had our cellphone, so I just contacted my employer and let them know what was going on.

The staff and the groups were good. I could talk to them. From my experience, they have the self-advocates, so I always do that and things get done, but everyone is underpaid and overworked. They had two people doing discharge planning for a whole bunch of people and it was crazy. There should also be eight people writing the letters, but there was just one that time and they were billing my insurance company the same. They were really understaffed and it was frustrating. There was a woman who came in on prescription medication and she was trying to get off alcohol, but they wouldn't take her off the prescription medication because she had been on it for about a decade. And on her discharge planning, they weren’t getting her set up with a prescription medication doctor outside. That was scary.

Taking attendance was so ridiculous. They took attendance every two minutes and I've never seen that either. It was for legal purposes, but there was a better way to go about it. I had a counselor there and he was very nice. I am gay and I am totally comfortable with myself, but he sat me down and said, "It's okay that you're gay. We're all sinners. Sinners sin." It was so weird and really awkward. If I wasn’t leaving, I would've been totally uncomfortable after that and I probably would've requested a change of counselor if I were to speak with him about other things. Nonetheless, I am clean today.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Meghan, thank you for taking the time to share some feedback on Sunrise House. We work hard to ensure all our patients receive safe and effective treatment and we are sorry to see that you felt some of our services were not as described. However, we are happy to hear you found the staff and groups to be helpful. Congratulations on your recovery success - we wish you the best moving forward!

Original review: March 25, 2019

I switched out to the Employee Assistance Program through my job and they reached out to American Addiction Centers. Personally, my experience upon arrival there was a little nerve-wracking. It was the first time that I went into treatment, so it was a little uncomfortable at first, but the staff was welcoming and those feelings shortly went away. The staff members were very professional, understanding and accommodating.

I was taking the experience very seriously, jotting down a lot of notes, and trying to absorb as much information as I could. I learned a lot there, from the staff and some other patients as well. I learned about addictive behaviors and coping skills. As far as the suggestions on follow-up programs, I took that advice and I'm doing an outpatient program right now and going on meetings. I was definitely glad that I got out of my comfort zone and looked to this program for help. But if one experience could be better, it would be that I had certain issues that I had to resolve with my job and certain paperwork that I had to fill out, and these took longer than they could have. But other than that, everything else was great. Overall, my experience with American Addiction Centers was very positive, insightful and helpful.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Sergio, thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review of your experience at Sunrise House! Your feedback is incredibly helpful and valuable - we are so happy to hear that you were willing to give us a chance! If you would like to supplement your follow-up programs, we encourage you to reach out to our team. Best of luck in your recovery efforts!

Original review: March 24, 2019

River Oaks was nice. Upon arrival, I was intoxicated and they made me put on some paper scrubs while they searched my clothes. They did all the paperwork until 5 o'clock in the morning. Then, they finally let me lie down and go to bed. They woke me up at 9 o'clock that same morning to do more paperwork. For the first two or three days, I was kinda pissed off but then after that, it was smooth sailing. I had a good therapist. I didn't speak to a case manager the whole time I was there until I was getting ready to discharge. I was there for 33 days and they offered a decent program but there were a few things that I disagreed with. The males and females were separated during group time but it’s good to hear things from another perspective. It was not practical to me in relation to real life.

Some of the staff were strictly by the book and still easy to get along with. Some of them are more lenient and not completely by the book and friendly, but there were also some who were the same way but you can’t be around them. There were different types of staff but it didn’t affect my treatment. I was there for me and I was determined to get what I could get out of the program. Before I went there, the staff told me that they would put me on some maintenance and see how I would do on that. If I was gonna stay on it, they would keep me on it and if I didn’t want it, they would take it off and it was okay with me. When I got there, they told me that they would see if they were gonna put me on medication or not. I had to threaten them that I was gonna leave if they didn’t start me on it.

Then, they lied to me again to get me to go there. They told me that I would have my phone the entire time that I was there, which was a play on words, because I got there, and they took my phone. They told me that I could get my phone back after detox. I got out of detox and figured out that you don't get your phone all the time. They would give it to you from 6:30 to 7:30 in the morning and then, you'll get it from 8:00 to 10:00 at night. So, there were a lot of downtime and boring time. A lot of times sitting there and I was just ready to leave. The guys get out of group between 3:15 and 3:30 every day and the girls have an extra group from 3:30 to 4:30. So, from 3:30 to 5:30, the boys were just sitting there.

At 5:30, we eat. It takes 10 minutes to eat, so 5:40 to 6:30, you're sitting there doing nothing. Then at 6:30, you have the option to go to an AA or an NA-based meeting. You get out of there at 7:30 and you have to wait 30 more minutes to get your phone. You don't have to go to the meetings and AA and NA is not my chosen method of recovery. It's not the way I do it. So, from 3:30 to 8:00, I was just sitting there, bored and didn't have anything to do. I ended up talking to my therapist. I asked her to give me extra time with my phone and she worked with me. She ended up giving me my phone from 3:30 to 10:00 but I was not allowed to carry my phone outside because it could be a violation. I could be outside taking pictures of other clients and there were too many clients there, so they would make you keep your phone inside.

During phone time, everybody is in their room on their phones. I would get my phone at 3:30 and I would go to my room and hang out. I would talk on the phone for a little bit, leave my phone in the room, go back, smoke a cigarette, hang out and talk, and be sociable for a little bit. Then, get back inside, get back on the phone, go back and eat, hang out and smoke a cigarette, play some cards for a little while, go back inside and check the phone. So, once I got that little situation worked out with my affairs, everything went a lot better.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Logan, thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience with River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so glad to hear that you were able to settle into a routine and find the experience helpful and worthwhile. If you'd like to stay connected to the program, please reach out to our team. We wish you well moving forward!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Original review: July 27, 2019

I am a recovering alcoholic and I called an AA number online. The whole experience with American Addiction was life-changing and completely beautiful. It saved my life. I still am in touch with a lot of people that I was in recovery with and in detox, and they all say the same thing. We had a great group of people and we had a great experience. I’m 107 days sober and counting. I would like to thank American Addiction and they should keep doing what they’re doing. It’s a miracle in my eyes. There were times I wanted to go back down there. There was never a sense of judgment.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Brittany, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with American Addiction Centers. I am very pleased to hear you found treatment so helpful and supportive, even after discharge! Congratulations on your recovery success, I wish you the best moving forward!

Original review: July 17, 2019

I heard about American Addiction through my insurance and I had a good experience in Recovery First in Fort Lauderdale. When I arrived, the experience wasn’t the best. There was no sign or anything that says where to go or the entrance but once I found staff, they were kind and helpful. Also, the facility was very clean and nice. The psychiatrist there was phenomenal and you could tell he really enjoys his job. Plus, the therapists try to be very personable. American Addiction definitely provided the tools necessary for me to be successful on my own during post-treatment.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Kelly, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience on Recovery First. We appreciate the feedback regarding signage and we will explore the possible need for clarity upon arrival. We are pleased to hear you had a very positive experience overall and we wish you all the best on your recovery journey!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 16, 2019

One of my partners is an alcoholic and I had to go over to American Addiction Centers to help him because he was hallucinating. He couldn't speak to the intake counselor very well because of his condition, so I handled it and I spoke to the counselor quite a bit in two days. She referred me for a scholarship. I got extremely wasted and went there, and it was fine. The people seemed nice enough. I was okay for a couple of days with the system but there were a lot of things that happened there and I ended up leaving early because I could not handle it. The staff members and a lot of the clinical staff members were not taking care of the clients like they should.

I told the counseling staff that my partner was most likely gonna pass that night and I needed to keep my phone. They talked amongst themselves and decided that I was not keeping my phone, so I did not give it back. I told them it was my personal property and I was keeping my phone but they refused to let me keep it when my partner was dying, and he did die that night. So, I kept my phone the entire rest of the time because I not happy with the situation and I needed it to talk to family members.

Before my partner passed, a young girl who was about 21 years old was in there. The fire alarm went off at five in the morning. One of the clients pulled it, so we all had to go out front. I was already awake and I went outside and the girl passed out. So, they took her to the ER. I came in and saw her sitting in a wheelchair. I told her she passed out and asked what was going on, She said that she felt like she had an elephant on her chest. The echo tech that was there told her she had a blood clot in her heart, which she was not allowed to tell her in the first place. I asked her to describe the procedure that they actually did to her. She describe an echo and an EKG so, I know what she was saying was correct, because she had no idea what it was. She didn't even know that it was dangerous.

She was sitting in front of the doctor's office telling me this so when it was her turn to go in, I asked her if I could speak on her behalf and she said yes because she was scared, in pain and in a wheelchair. So, I walked in with her and said that mostly likely, what she was dealing with was a pulmonary embolism and it could kill her. The doctor tried to scoot around what I was saying because I'm just a drunk and I'm in there or whatever they think I am. So, I probably got disregarded by him. I talked to the girl later and she was up and walking around. I could tell she was pale and I tried to advocate to a counselor that told us to advocate for the other clients there but she was rude to me and the person who told me to advocate walked away from me. I went back to the doctor's room by myself and he said he ordered a vascular test on her, which wasn't gonna do anything.

I was worried sick about this girl and the facility was telling her parents that she was lying about everything, and she didn't go to the hospital. The girl was crying and trying to leave there because she was sick as hell and she was getting ready to get on a plane. Her parents ended up believing her finally and let her leave. Her sister came and picked her up, and supposedly, they were gonna go to the cardiologist.

Another girl was on detox and she has detoxed multiple times before. She was completely normal when she came in then she started having seizures, and the medical staff was not doing anything about it. They kept her on the same medication when she needed to be on a different one. Eventually, she could hardly move and I am convinced that poor girl had multiple strokes while she was in there because she was given the improper medication. Another girl was throwing up all night long and they would not help her. They told her not to throw up in the nurse's trash can and she needed to go to her room to throw up.

I went to the Granbury, Texas location and I stayed through my partner's test to try to get better but I couldn't stay there because of the way that the staff members were. I was stuttering and having a hard time forming sentences. My brain wasn't connecting with my mouth and they weren't giving me the proper medication. I kept telling them this and nobody was doing anything. The only time they wanted to do something was after I told them I was gonna leave. The clients were taking care of each other because the staff wasn't. I got my eyes rolled at and I overheard two nurses saying that I was drug-seeking, when all I wanted was to feel normal. So, I went to the head nurse and I told her exactly what happened. I have never in my life experienced such neglectful staff members. There were a couple who were trying to do the job just best of their ability but there were others that were not and didn’t care.

The techs agreed with me on multiple things that I have said and I had my therapist apologize to me. When I told her about what was going on, she put her head down and she agreed with me about the staff. She couldn't even look at me after that because it was that crazy. Every day there was a code blue. There were too many of us and too little of them. Everybody was being neglected. I ended up relocating. I talked to one of the doctors that I actually like. She got on the phone in the room with me on the day that I left and said that we needed to do something about this now. She was one of the good ones and when my partner passed, she hugged me like she meant it. No one else in that place did. I was a person to her and I wasn't just a druggie or drunk.

Original review: July 2, 2019

By far the worst treatment center I’ve ever gone to. BHT at Laguna treatment hospital named Crystal was very unprofessional and disrespectful. Therapist Emily’s groups were irrelevant to recovery and seemed like a huge waste of time. Most of the staff were very rude and unprofessional. I can’t believe I wasted so much money to go there and got NOTHING out of the program. People are not treated equally at Laguna. The facility itself is not worried about patients recovery, but instead only worried about their numbers and revenue. I am beyond disappointed, and will not only never recommend this facility, but will also encourage people NOT to even bother because bc it’s a big scamming money scheme and an even bigger waste of time.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Upon arrival, my experience with American Addiction Centers was good. Jerry welcomed me and showed me the place. The only thing is I got kicked out of there. My roommate there snuck needles in and as an addict three days clean, it seemed nearly impossible to stay clean. So they kicked me out and I went to a different facility. It kind of wasn’t a good experience. American Addiction will not accept me after that. So I was fed up there with that going on. Whenever I called, I said I couldn’t go to Vegas or Texas because I’ve lived in both the states. They said those are the only treatment facilities they’d allow me to go to. And it’s kind of set up for failure from that point, too. I can get drugs in both the states.Overall, the experience wasn’t too great because of the whole situation. It wasn’t really the treatment center’s fault. And the staff was very friendly and very professional. They were willing to help out as much as they could.

American Addiction Centers Company Information