Call toll free
3.73/5
Based on 11 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

11 American Addiction Centers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 11, 2019

I checked in with American Addiction Centers after the hospital I was in told me that they had that open. The check-in was good. Everybody was really nice when I got there and they made it easy. My counselor, Anthony, was great and the classes were really helpful. However, the longer I stayed in the facility, I started noticing a few things. The rooms were nice but they didn't get cleaned very often. The water was always cold and when you're detoxing, that makes it the absolute worst because your outlet is in the shower. Then, some of the people who were working there were too young, very rude, and wasn't experienced with the treatment that they were providing.

It was also really easy to sneak things in and out of the facility and it made me uncomfortable. When some people get a visit, the staff wouldn't check baby bags and so there were some people who got high. The staff knew about that, but they didn't wanna deal with it right then and there and put it all off. They took notice if you’re late for class, but the very serious matters, they didn't. Also, I'm from Kentucky and I didn't get visits. When you’re not getting visits while the other ones are taking advantage of it, it's just rude. Then, my discharge plan got put off until the very end. I've already left and I'm doing really well now.

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 8, 2019

A family member recommended American Addiction Centers to me and when I arrived at the Sunrise treatment facility, they were very disorganized. The inspection of my luggage took nine hours then they told me I had a counseling appointment at 1 o’clock on Tuesday but I didn’t have it until 3 o’clock on Wednesday. Also, one person would tell me that I could do this then somebody else would tell me I couldn't. But most of the people there were very friendly and they were nice people who cared about helping the patients. I didn’t stay the full length but I got out of there feeling a lot better about the situation than I was when I went in, so their program helped. I never thought I'd go to a rehab facility so it was a wake up call for me. It's been over a month now since I left there so I've been doing very well.

But AAC could make some more sessions and work on having some recreation time then have it monitored. They have a gym, ping pong, and shuffleboard, but no one ever got to use them because no one had enough time in the little breaks to do those stuff. The group did almost everything as a whole, except for the counseling, and if they made the breaks in between the lectures and sessions shorter, it would free up 45 minutes and people can have a little bit of free time to use the gym. I know people who were there for the whole month and they never got to use the gym because the time they were supposed to use at the gym was also the time they could use the phone, and people wanted to be able to call their loved ones and tell them they were okay.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Christopher, thank you so much for the valuable feedback on Sunrise House Treatment Center! We are thrilled to hear or your overall positive experience and current recovery success. We invite you to reach out to our alumni team to stay connected!

Original review: April 6, 2019

My mom dropped me off at one of the American Addiction Centers and I was there for around nine days, but I left early because I had to go back to work. The people were very nice. I didn’t ask a lot of questions when I initially did the intake and my counter ended up calling Susan on the phone. I was in the office and I started asking her questions. Susan was the reason I ended up going.

However, AAC is mismanaged. It was a mess even for me to get a letter out to my employer. Usually, you sit down with your counselor. They have a template that they use and they type the names in, then they send it. You sign a release and it takes eight minutes. At AAC, they told me it was gonna take nine days to get a letter out to my employer and I've never heard of that in my life. I shouldn't be stressing about that while I am at rehab. They told me that it had to go through their corporate office in Tennessee or Georgia. At that point, we had our cellphone, so I just contacted my employer and let them know what was going on.

The staff and the groups were good. I could talk to them. From my experience, they have the self-advocates, so I always do that and things get done, but everyone is underpaid and overworked. They had two people doing discharge planning for a whole bunch of people and it was crazy. There should also be eight people writing the letters, but there was just one that time and they were billing my insurance company the same. They were really understaffed and it was frustrating. There was a woman who came in on prescription medication and she was trying to get off alcohol, but they wouldn't take her off the prescription medication because she had been on it for about a decade. And on her discharge planning, they weren’t getting her set up with a prescription medication doctor outside. That was scary.

Taking attendance was so ridiculous. They took attendance every two minutes and I've never seen that either. It was for legal purposes, but there was a better way to go about it. I had a counselor there and he was very nice. I am gay and I am totally comfortable with myself, but he sat me down and said, "It's okay that you're gay. We're all sinners. Sinners sin." It was so weird and really awkward. If I wasn’t leaving, I would've been totally uncomfortable after that and I probably would've requested a change of counselor if I were to speak with him about other things. Nonetheless, I am clean today.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Meghan, thank you for taking the time to share some feedback on Sunrise House. We work hard to ensure all our patients receive safe and effective treatment and we are sorry to see that you felt some of our services were not as described. However, we are happy to hear you found the staff and groups to be helpful. Congratulations on your recovery success - we wish you the best moving forward!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 3, 2019

Upon arrival at Sunrise House, my experience was fine. But everything else was a mess. They kicked me out at midnight and made me walk to a quick check and figure out my life there. They thought I stole a vape from somebody but I didn't steal anything. They got my side of the story, but they weren't listening to me. On top of that, I was out without my meds for a week because they wouldn't send them back and it took them forever to send everything back including my clothes. None of the staff did anything.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Gavin, thank you for taking the time to share about your experience. We take experiences like yours very seriously and would love for you to reach out to us directly so that we can learn more. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: April 1, 2019

When I went to River Oaks, it was nerve-wracking at first. But after I set a schedule, everything went fine. The staff was great. They treated me like a person. They didn’t treat me differently. I’ve been out for over a month and haven’t had any cravings. I had a great experience with American Addiction Centers.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Timothy, thank you so much for taking your time to provide a review and rating of River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so glad to hear of your positive interactions with the staff and lasting recovery! We wish you the best in this journey.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Original review: March 29, 2019

My experience with American Addiction Centers went well. Everything was good when I arrived and their staff was all fine. They did a good job.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Thomas, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so thrilled to hear you had a positive experience - we encourage you to reach out to our alumni team to stay connected!

Original review: March 28, 2019

It was chaotic when I arrived at River Oaks. As soon as I got there, I went to the hospital and I was there for all of the hot 15 minutes. My blood pressure was through the roof. But the staff was great and I had no problems with them.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Alton, thank you for taking the time to share about your River Oaks Treatment Center experience. We are happy to hear of your great interactions with the staff! We wish you all the best in your recovery efforts.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 27, 2019

I've read about American Addiction Centers online and I decided to go there. However, upon my arrival at the center at River Oaks, they right off the muscle violated HIPAA when a girl strip searched me. And it happened with everybody, not just me, so they obviously always violate HIPAA. Also, the supposed number one psychotherapist in the country literally told me to leave and relapse off my medication and that he wasn't gonna help me. I wasn't asking for any meds or any narcotics. I have really bad anxiety, so I was asking for something long-term that I can take that will be safe, not so because I wanted to get off my drug. He told me that I needed to leave and relapse because he didn't wanna deal with me.

I was not messed up at that time. That was the 15th day and I told them that they weren't helping me. I wasn't getting the help that I needed. I already had two procedures because I wasn't tapered off the drug correctly. I've been taking medication for seven years and they expected me to just come in and be fine, but that was not okay with my medication. They would not work with me on my medicine. They gave me and my roommate food poisoning as well from their food. We found bones in our meals and it wasn't a meal that was supposed to have bones in it. They were beef chips and you never get beef with bones. It was a really bad experience and I did not like River Oaks one bit. I left American Addiction Centers and I am not with them anymore.

American Addiction Centers response

Jacob, thank you so much for choosing to seek addiction treatment with us. Our team takes poor experiences very seriously. We would be eager to learn more and take the opportunity to make things right. Please reach out to us directly so that we can discuss these matters further.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I had a good experience upon arriving at the American Addiction Center in River Oaks and my interactions with their staff were excellent. Since post-treatment, I feel better and more confident. American Addiction Center was what I needed.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Bradley, thank you very much for taking the time to share about your experience at River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so glad to hear of your positive interactions with the staff and overall positive feelings post-discharge. If you'd like to stay connected, please reach out to our team - we wish you the best in your recovery journey!

Original review: March 25, 2019

I switched out to the Employee Assistance Program through my job and they reached out to American Addiction Centers. Personally, my experience upon arrival there was a little nerve-wracking. It was the first time that I went into treatment, so it was a little uncomfortable at first, but the staff was welcoming and those feelings shortly went away. The staff members were very professional, understanding and accommodating.

I was taking the experience very seriously, jotting down a lot of notes, and trying to absorb as much information as I could. I learned a lot there, from the staff and some other patients as well. I learned about addictive behaviors and coping skills. As far as the suggestions on follow-up programs, I took that advice and I'm doing an outpatient program right now and going on meetings. I was definitely glad that I got out of my comfort zone and looked to this program for help. But if one experience could be better, it would be that I had certain issues that I had to resolve with my job and certain paperwork that I had to fill out, and these took longer than they could have. But other than that, everything else was great. Overall, my experience with American Addiction Centers was very positive, insightful and helpful.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Sergio, thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review of your experience at Sunrise House! Your feedback is incredibly helpful and valuable - we are so happy to hear that you were willing to give us a chance! If you would like to supplement your follow-up programs, we encourage you to reach out to our team. Best of luck in your recovery efforts!

Original review: March 24, 2019

River Oaks was nice. Upon arrival, I was intoxicated and they made me put on some paper scrubs while they searched my clothes. They did all the paperwork until 5 o'clock in the morning. Then, they finally let me lie down and go to bed. They woke me up at 9 o'clock that same morning to do more paperwork. For the first two or three days, I was kinda pissed off but then after that, it was smooth sailing. I had a good therapist. I didn't speak to a case manager the whole time I was there until I was getting ready to discharge. I was there for 33 days and they offered a decent program but there were a few things that I disagreed with. The males and females were separated during group time but it’s good to hear things from another perspective. It was not practical to me in relation to real life.

Some of the staff were strictly by the book and still easy to get along with. Some of them are more lenient and not completely by the book and friendly, but there were also some who were the same way but you can’t be around them. There were different types of staff but it didn’t affect my treatment. I was there for me and I was determined to get what I could get out of the program. Before I went there, the staff told me that they would put me on some maintenance and see how I would do on that. If I was gonna stay on it, they would keep me on it and if I didn’t want it, they would take it off and it was okay with me. When I got there, they told me that they would see if they were gonna put me on medication or not. I had to threaten them that I was gonna leave if they didn’t start me on it.

Then, they lied to me again to get me to go there. They told me that I would have my phone the entire time that I was there, which was a play on words, because I got there, and they took my phone. They told me that I could get my phone back after detox. I got out of detox and figured out that you don't get your phone all the time. They would give it to you from 6:30 to 7:30 in the morning and then, you'll get it from 8:00 to 10:00 at night. So, there were a lot of downtime and boring time. A lot of times sitting there and I was just ready to leave. The guys get out of group between 3:15 and 3:30 every day and the girls have an extra group from 3:30 to 4:30. So, from 3:30 to 5:30, the boys were just sitting there.

At 5:30, we eat. It takes 10 minutes to eat, so 5:40 to 6:30, you're sitting there doing nothing. Then at 6:30, you have the option to go to an AA or an NA-based meeting. You get out of there at 7:30 and you have to wait 30 more minutes to get your phone. You don't have to go to the meetings and AA and NA is not my chosen method of recovery. It's not the way I do it. So, from 3:30 to 8:00, I was just sitting there, bored and didn't have anything to do. I ended up talking to my therapist. I asked her to give me extra time with my phone and she worked with me. She ended up giving me my phone from 3:30 to 10:00 but I was not allowed to carry my phone outside because it could be a violation. I could be outside taking pictures of other clients and there were too many clients there, so they would make you keep your phone inside.

During phone time, everybody is in their room on their phones. I would get my phone at 3:30 and I would go to my room and hang out. I would talk on the phone for a little bit, leave my phone in the room, go back, smoke a cigarette, hang out and talk, and be sociable for a little bit. Then, get back inside, get back on the phone, go back and eat, hang out and smoke a cigarette, play some cards for a little while, go back inside and check the phone. So, once I got that little situation worked out with my affairs, everything went a lot better.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Logan, thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience with River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so glad to hear that you were able to settle into a routine and find the experience helpful and worthwhile. If you'd like to stay connected to the program, please reach out to our team. We wish you well moving forward!

American Addiction Centers Company Information