Get a Free Quote Visit Website
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.38/5
Visit Website

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

American Addiction Centers Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Upon arrival, I was scared 'cause I didn't know where I was going, I didn't know anybody and I'd never been out of state by myself. The behavior health aide was very helpful. I was starving, and they offered me a bag of lunch. The intake went very smoothly and it wasn't a long process at all. Some of the BTA's, however, took their job to another level to where they made it seem like they were correction officers. Sometimes they would threaten us and say, "If you don't do this, you don't go to class. You don't do this, we're gonna take your cellphone." The cellphone thing went beyond everybody's head, because they knew that that was their way of controlling what they wanted us to do. They would push people a little bit too much to make their job a little easier. They didn't want anybody in the dorm so it would be quiet. They also didn't let us tag in to their WiFi because they don't want us on social media posting pictures.

Before I left, they had it to where the cellphone use started at 4 o'clock instead of 8:00. 4 o'clock was a little bit better, but it should've been a little bit earlier because they fail to realize that a lot of us there still have lives outside of River Oaks. We have to make appointments and follow up, pay bills, do this while we're there. 8 o'clock at night, offices are closed. And a lot of people are in different time zones. So, if they wanted to talk to their children, 8 o'clock may not be their time.

Post-treatment for me was a little difficult. After I left, I had things set up on my own because of my location. They were more focused on stuff that was in Florida and down south. I live upper, so it was hard. Then, the IPOs wouldn't take me because I had private care insurance and I didn't wanna drop that in order to get into sober living. Also, a lot of the times my counselor was lazy, so I had to do my own feedback and research on myself to get to where I needed to be when I left River Oaks.

Overall, they could've had a little bit more outings for us to do. From the time that we eat dinner or dinner's over, there's nothing for us to do. There's no bingo, no games, nobody coming in to help the ladies do some nails, do something to keep your mind occupied 'cause you got that time from like 5 o'clock till lights go out at 10:00. They said you can't turn the TV on in the day room until a certain time. By the time you're getting your meds, it's time for them to turn the lights out. And they make you turn the lights out like you're a little kid. Nobody wants to go to bed at 10:00. The campus is really nice, but they lied. There's no pool, there are no horses. They had horse therapy presented in the brochure, but they didn't have that. So it's false advertisement. Nonetheless, I would go back today if I needed to. My therapist was very helpful the whole time I was there.

American Addiction Centers response

Chimere, thank you very much for sharing your experience. Please know that we have forwarded this information to the team internally at River Oaks so that we may identify opportunities and areas of improvement. We wish you the best in your recovery journey.

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

My wife has been doing research for a dual diagnosis center and came up with American Addiction Centers. I talked to someone who was in Tennessee. First, I did my detox at AdCare in Rhode Island. Then my insurance kinda surprised me and said, "We're not gonna pay for this" so I had to leave. I ended up at Sunrise House in Lafayette, New Jersey a year ago and the detox was slow but it was an overall good experience. Almost all the staff really cares.

The problem is they're understaffed for just about every position. Also, there were some issues when I left this last time. This last summer, I left a whole list of things they could do that were low-hanging fruit to make the place more handicapped-friendly. We had a lady there with only one leg and in a chair. She couldn't even get her chair into the bathroom. She was on the first floor. There were steps in every direction which could easily be solved with a temporary ramp that you can put around the corner and hang up, pull it out when you get somebody with a wheelchair. There was a lot of stuff. I gave it to the CEO and to the doctor there. I've worked at a social service agency, and my job was with facilities' safety and I was the fleet manager so I kinda knew what I was looking for. Otherwise, it was good.

The one complaint that I heard continuously from people there was that their brochures and the stuff their website tends to play up are the swimming pools and all of those things but they didn't have one. But I wasn't looking for that. I was looking for recovery. And on that basis, I thought the classes were good. When I was there last year, there was one staff member that was since been gone, that I thought was not quite up to it. He's very repetitive. And what he wrote had turned into stories about him. But he's no longer there, so that's water under the bridge.

And this last time I was there, there was quite a bit of contraband drugs getting onto the floor. The people were somehow managing to not take their medications they were given and then selling them to other people, or there's somebody who is getting them in from outside. Have a friend come up and drop a bag off behind a tree, that sort of thing, which is always a possibility. People were able to get a bunch of things. But I recommended the facility to other people. It has a very institutional feeling that makes it not very welcoming but the staff is good and the rooms were okay. The food is good, too.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Karl, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts, experience, and suggestions for American Addiction Centers. Please know that we are working hard to make our facilities more ADA friendly and accessible. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and wish you well on your recovery journey!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I've been to the ACC program twice and the only reason why I went back the second time was because of the therapist that I had. I wouldn't be sober today if it weren't for that. My therapist was the absolute best therapist I ever had in the world. I loved it at AAC. Admissions was a little intimidating. There was a lot of paperwork and I have been to other facilities so a lot of paperwork was a lot. But aside from that, they had a great staff and a great clinical team. It was a really down-to-earth facility that I went to at Recovery First in Hollywood and there would be times where we'd go to an outside meeting. This one meeting was where a really close friend of mine died at so they knew it was bothersome to me and we never went back while I was there. It was on another level of care.

When I first got there though and I was moving into residential, one of the techs had just gotten fired. There was an incident while I was there on Christmas. With all the drama stirred up, this tech that had gotten fired. I guess she stirred up a bunch of stuff with the clients. She was telling some people with kids that they didn't love their kids. So that was a little hectic. But that doesn't reflect AAC as a whole. It reflects her.

But within the first two days, a ton of designer stuff and some of my personal properties stored with the techs in safekeeping went missing. The only way that it could've gone missing was through the access of a tech. A $200 perfume was stolen and it had disappeared right when all this happened with this tech and that was the last night that she ever came. I tried to file in for a grievance and a complaint form for it. I would never put any of the techs that are still there accountable but nothing was ever done about it either. I was still disappointed that something was taken like that. I had to continuously file the complaint. Then finally, clinical came back from higher-ups, and I guess they just said that I never had a perfume. So that was a little bothersome. That was the only thing that I wasn't so fond of. But that doesn't even reflect the good times that I had in treatment. So I weighed the good with the bad, and that doesn't even touch the good.

With the way the clinical is set up with the AAC, it definitely keeps you busy. But sometimes, it can be repetitive. Still, the experience was really nice. In a lot of rehabs, you don't have your phone and this and that. But with AAC, you still have that little bit of freedom where you can still have that self-care. You can go to a Walmart, pick up your food and cook it at night. So you still have that sense of responsibility and I enjoyed that.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Nicole, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Recovery First, Hollywood. We take concerns like the one you mentioned very seriously and ask that you reach out to us directly if you'd like to discuss it further. Furthermore, we are pleased to hear you had an overall positive experience with Recovery First and found the therapeutic aspect to be so helpful. We wish you the best in your recovery journey!

Original review: April 6, 2019

My mom dropped me off at one of the American Addiction Centers and I was there for around nine days, but I left early because I had to go back to work. The people were very nice. I didn’t ask a lot of questions when I initially did the intake and my counter ended up calling Susan on the phone. I was in the office and I started asking her questions. Susan was the reason I ended up going.

However, AAC is mismanaged. It was a mess even for me to get a letter out to my employer. Usually, you sit down with your counselor. They have a template that they use and they type the names in, then they send it. You sign a release and it takes eight minutes. At AAC, they told me it was gonna take nine days to get a letter out to my employer and I've never heard of that in my life. I shouldn't be stressing about that while I am at rehab. They told me that it had to go through their corporate office in Tennessee or Georgia. At that point, we had our cellphone, so I just contacted my employer and let them know what was going on.

The staff and the groups were good. I could talk to them. From my experience, they have the self-advocates, so I always do that and things get done, but everyone is underpaid and overworked. They had two people doing discharge planning for a whole bunch of people and it was crazy. There should also be eight people writing the letters, but there was just one that time and they were billing my insurance company the same. They were really understaffed and it was frustrating. There was a woman who came in on prescription medication and she was trying to get off alcohol, but they wouldn't take her off the prescription medication because she had been on it for about a decade. And on her discharge planning, they weren’t getting her set up with a prescription medication doctor outside. That was scary.

Taking attendance was so ridiculous. They took attendance every two minutes and I've never seen that either. It was for legal purposes, but there was a better way to go about it. I had a counselor there and he was very nice. I am gay and I am totally comfortable with myself, but he sat me down and said, "It's okay that you're gay. We're all sinners. Sinners sin." It was so weird and really awkward. If I wasn’t leaving, I would've been totally uncomfortable after that and I probably would've requested a change of counselor if I were to speak with him about other things. Nonetheless, I am clean today.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Meghan, thank you for taking the time to share some feedback on Sunrise House. We work hard to ensure all our patients receive safe and effective treatment and we are sorry to see that you felt some of our services were not as described. However, we are happy to hear you found the staff and groups to be helpful. Congratulations on your recovery success - we wish you the best moving forward!

Original review: March 24, 2019

River Oaks was nice. Upon arrival, I was intoxicated and they made me put on some paper scrubs while they searched my clothes. They did all the paperwork until 5 o'clock in the morning. Then, they finally let me lie down and go to bed. They woke me up at 9 o'clock that same morning to do more paperwork. For the first two or three days, I was kinda pissed off but then after that, it was smooth sailing. I had a good therapist. I didn't speak to a case manager the whole time I was there until I was getting ready to discharge. I was there for 33 days and they offered a decent program but there were a few things that I disagreed with. The males and females were separated during group time but it’s good to hear things from another perspective. It was not practical to me in relation to real life.

Some of the staff were strictly by the book and still easy to get along with. Some of them are more lenient and not completely by the book and friendly, but there were also some who were the same way but you can’t be around them. There were different types of staff but it didn’t affect my treatment. I was there for me and I was determined to get what I could get out of the program. Before I went there, the staff told me that they would put me on some maintenance and see how I would do on that. If I was gonna stay on it, they would keep me on it and if I didn’t want it, they would take it off and it was okay with me. When I got there, they told me that they would see if they were gonna put me on medication or not. I had to threaten them that I was gonna leave if they didn’t start me on it.

Then, they lied to me again to get me to go there. They told me that I would have my phone the entire time that I was there, which was a play on words, because I got there, and they took my phone. They told me that I could get my phone back after detox. I got out of detox and figured out that you don't get your phone all the time. They would give it to you from 6:30 to 7:30 in the morning and then, you'll get it from 8:00 to 10:00 at night. So, there were a lot of downtime and boring time. A lot of times sitting there and I was just ready to leave. The guys get out of group between 3:15 and 3:30 every day and the girls have an extra group from 3:30 to 4:30. So, from 3:30 to 5:30, the boys were just sitting there.

At 5:30, we eat. It takes 10 minutes to eat, so 5:40 to 6:30, you're sitting there doing nothing. Then at 6:30, you have the option to go to an AA or an NA-based meeting. You get out of there at 7:30 and you have to wait 30 more minutes to get your phone. You don't have to go to the meetings and AA and NA is not my chosen method of recovery. It's not the way I do it. So, from 3:30 to 8:00, I was just sitting there, bored and didn't have anything to do. I ended up talking to my therapist. I asked her to give me extra time with my phone and she worked with me. She ended up giving me my phone from 3:30 to 10:00 but I was not allowed to carry my phone outside because it could be a violation. I could be outside taking pictures of other clients and there were too many clients there, so they would make you keep your phone inside.

During phone time, everybody is in their room on their phones. I would get my phone at 3:30 and I would go to my room and hang out. I would talk on the phone for a little bit, leave my phone in the room, go back, smoke a cigarette, hang out and talk, and be sociable for a little bit. Then, get back inside, get back on the phone, go back and eat, hang out and smoke a cigarette, play some cards for a little while, go back inside and check the phone. So, once I got that little situation worked out with my affairs, everything went a lot better.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Logan, thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience with River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so glad to hear that you were able to settle into a routine and find the experience helpful and worthwhile. If you'd like to stay connected to the program, please reach out to our team. We wish you well moving forward!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I had a few issues with the establishment that I went to. I was an out of pocket pay and I felt like they were trying to dupe me. There was a big mess and I realized while I was there how they were doing things that I wasn't pleased with as far as insurance was concerned. But I'm a 100 days clean today and I haven't heard from them. I'm happy with that and I just wanna go about my life.

Other than all the bad stuff, I liked the place that I went to. It's a good group of people there and they do want you to succeed. They do teach you a lot and I learned a lot about myself, coping mechanisms, and the therapists while I was there. They do a great job and I took a lot from Demetrius' class. But the whole insurance scandal rubbed me the wrong way because of the way that they were running things at that establishment. It had the potential to mess up a person's sobriety and I didn't like that at all. It's not right when you're forcing somebody to stay because you can get more money out of their insurance. The same way with holding their medication over them, saying they're not gonna get it unless they stay longer simply because they got it approved by the insurance. That was kinda what went down and I saw it on more than one occasion.

With me being a self-pay, they were keeping me in the most expensive place as long as they possibly could until I started to learn what was going on. They were also trying to withhold my discharge papers but I got out of there. I ended up getting discharged about a week and a half after I started realizing what was going on. Also, I met a lot of people there that I became friends with and the reps of American Addiction Centers would tell them that they'd be an AMA, leaving against medical advice, if they left. It was not because they were not doing well, but because American Addiction Centers could get more money out of the insurance. Even my therapist had to hold me back simply because of this whole thing and I think she would lose her job if she didn't do what she was told.

American Addiction Centers response

Monica, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. If you have questions about billing, or if we can provide clarification regarding self-pay, please contact us at FinancialInquiry@ContactAAC.com. We are happy to hear you are doing well in recovery and we wish you continued success.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

Checking-in at American Addiction Center was fine. They promised me a bunch of things and never really did anything. They promised me 30 days of treatment and then after a few days, they brought me downstairs and told me that I'm not covered. Also, they didn't do any testing when I first walked in and then they tested me. When they tested me, they tested me positive.

They came up with a story that after two days, all drugs should be out of my system. They made me leave and gave me a bag full of pills they had put me on. I talked to a doctor there for about three and a half minutes and he said that I was bipolar and put me on lithium. After leaving AAC, I went to a different rehab, they said that that wasn't true, so they took me off lithium. This wasn't a very good experience. They don't run the center very well.

American Addiction Centers response

Michael, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. Unfortunately, there are some insurance providers for which we are not in-network, which can result in out of pocket expenses. We are sorry to hear your treatment experience was not as expected. If you'd like to contact us directly please visit https://americanaddictioncenters.ethicspoint.com/.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

American Addiction Centers' facility was nice and there were a lot of great people there. But they took $250 from me even though I was only there for five days. I also got racked with the prescription pill on top of that. The staff has a tough job, but if you treat them with kindness, they’ll treat you with kindness. And it was unfortunate that I didn't get to finish. They ended up discharging me after five days. I got sick and never went back. I haven't been very good since then and every day is a struggle.

American Addiction Centers response

Sabrina, we appreciate you taking the time to reach out. If you are struggling with recovery, please reach out to an admissions navigator at 888-831-9406 to help you identify an appropriate treatment option. We are here to help.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

Being a little overwhelmed, there’s a lot of walks of life coming into these places, a lot of personalities, a lot of temperaments, a lot of things that are uncontrollable, but the American Addiction Centers staff always treated me with most respect and helped me along the way, showed me where I needed to be and what I needed to do. I was thankful for that. The intake personnel always saw me through. They always remembered me. While I was there, they seemed to always go out of their way just to make sure that I was okay, say hi, see how I was doing. They had my back and helped me through a difficult time.

There happened to be some people there that had been where I was before, to see where they came out and that they’re living their lives. It’s a thing that I'll carry with me, I’m never alone in this situation and it’s always a battle that I’m willing to take on. I got brothers in arms to help along the way and they showed me that. Don’t worry about everybody else, worry about yourself. In a sense that there are people there that may not wanna be there, and they seemed to take up that time or it seemed to be an inconvenience or they seemed to be just a distraction, stay true to yourself. If it’s something that you want, keep working at it and just don’t give up.

American Addiction Centers response

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us, Richard. We are blessed with phenomenal staff and grateful for the opportunity to help patients find recovery. We wish you well!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I met with one of American Addiction Center's reps and ended up seeking their services. The guy was very informative and personality-wise, we clicked together. My trip there was pretty rough, but getting there was a relief to me. I was comfortable. I went to Laguna and I got along with everybody there very well. They discussed their situation and I discussed mine so they were very open and they gathered information. I'm still in communication with them if I have issues or anything.

American Addiction Centers response

Alex, thanks for taking the time to share your story. We are pleased to hear Laguna Treatment Hospital was supportive and helpful in your recovery needs - we wish you the best!

American Addiction Centers Company Information