Get a Free Quote Visit Website
Accredited Partner

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.62/5
Visit Website

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

View More View More

American Addiction Centers Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: March 3, 2020

With Laguna Treatment, I didn’t feel I was on the dual diagnosis program. I felt that it was strictly alcohol or addiction. It was supposed to be dual diagnosis for depression and for addiction. The whole thing was really focused on addiction, which is not my main issue. Also, the way their rep made it come off to be was it was gonna be this beautiful country club atmosphere, workout rooms and pools. He said, “Make sure you bring your bathing suit.” It was so freaking cold. You couldn’t possibly swim in an outdoor pool in December and January. Not to mention that you're not allowed to go out there except at mealtimes. So, a lot of this was very misrepresented. I was not pleased at all with that respect.

The arrival went fine. It was very late at night. But then, upon looking at my personal belongings that were in a safe later on, there was $100 missing. I filed a report about it and heard nothing for two weeks. And the only reason why I heard something was because I found proof that I did have the money that I stated I have. I was spoken to very disrespectfully by the person in the office telling me not to get an attitude with her after she accused me of lying. I was really upset about that. The only reason why I finally was able to prove it was because they did write the amount down on the piece of plastic back that stored all my money and credit cards. But I hadn’t noticed that until two weeks had gone by. They offered me a gift card back, not the $100 cash that was missing, which was wrong. If I lost cash, I should have been able to be given cash back.

Some of the staff were wonderful and some of them sucked. I was told that I couldn’t have the blankets that I needed because it was cold there because other patients might be cold, and it wasn’t fair for me to have more blankets. A solution to that was to buy more blankets. Why should I have to be uncomfortable because others might be uncomfortable? They need to supply enough blankets if they can’t have heat at a reasonable temperature. They tried coming in and covering the vents that the cold air comes out of. Unfortunately, it just pushes it out of other different places like on the casement of the door where the latch would go into. The cold air flew out of there instead when they covered it up. And that’s also the same vent that the heat’s supposed to come out of. So, that was a loss.

Then, another day, I came up after working out, and there was no clean towels anywhere to be found. So, I couldn’t take a shower after being sweaty and gross, and had to continue on with my day with groups, stinking, after doing an hour in the treadmill. They should buy more towels. The groups and everything were fine. But they were just really focused on addiction and nothing to do with anybody who has depression or anxiety. It’s all addiction, recovery, recovery, recovery, addiction, recovery. I had to stay sober. How do I stay not depressed? How do I build my self-esteem? They should consider that.

You need to be able to do more outings because you start to go stir-crazy if your minding is standing. They're not doing any more passes where people can go out for two hours on their own, which for me was the only thing that saved my life. That would have been absolutely nuts in there for that long a time because you're not allowed to bring in candy or things like that. And when you go out in the outings, that’s really nice but you're not allowed to bring any money. You’re not allowed to spend any money unless you happen to have maybe a wallet in your phone. That would be nice.

They may have implemented a little store, but it’s not the same as going to Walmart or similar and being able to buy some sweatpants like I had to when I went out on pass because it was too cold. I had to spend a lot of money on warm clothing because it certainly never expected to be freezing. I had to buy three sweatshirts and a pair of sweatpants. This was in California. I expected everything to be really warm. I never expected to be freezing. I didn’t know what winters were like because I come from Connecticut. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend the center for somebody who’s struggling more with mental illness than addiction, but I'm happy enough with my experience.

American Addiction Centers response

Antoinette, thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. We have shared this feedback internally with the team at Laguna Treatment Hospital to identify possible areas of opportunity and improvement. We wish you well in recovery.

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I set up my daughter's thing with Hayley. There was a little difficult time with Eunice Detox Center, where she was supposed to be in there during the whole thing. Two weeks in, on about the 13th day, they told her that she had to be out on the 14th day because they have changed to just a detox facility. So, she ended up going on a scholarship thing from a friend and she went for a week to Crossroads in La Habra for a week. Then, through our insurance, she found La Hoya Recovery in San Diego, a rehab place. So, she has been in there now since the 24th of January.

The paperwork probably said that she left to get some medical advice from Laguna, and they said they did that because they said that she could stay the one more day, but she didn’t stay the one more day. She found another place and so she left. Hayley called me and said, “Why did you leave against medical advice?” And so I explained the situation. They were like, “You’re kidding me. They told her that she had to leave.” I said, “Yeah. But because she left on the 13th day and not the 14th day, it says AMA."

I had called over 30 facilities three weeks before I found American Addiction Centers. She was on 85 milligrams of a drug a day and nobody would take here until she was down to 40. Then the clinic was saying they do 2 milligrams a week and that would take five months. So finally, when I called them, Hayley said that Laguna would take her. The rest is history and hopefully it all works out. She’s doing fantastic right now. I liked the facility, it was warm, and the people were very friendly. They were caring every step.

However, after she was there for a week, her new roommate came in and she had drugs on her. So, the searching needs to get a little bit better. She came in and dropped all the drugs in front of my daughter. She was screaming at my daughter because she was high, and she didn’t even know her. My daughter told me that I had to get her out of there. So, I went there the following day and we had to get security to get her roommate moved out of that room. After I left and after they said they would do it, I got a text from my daughter and she said that she was hiding in another room and the girl still had not left. They didn't get the girl moved until 10 or 11 at night that day. So, that was not handled correctly.

There is also a lot of freedom there because on another day, a guy ran in and he took his clothes off, and he was like jumping on another girl. So, there are a few things because it’s coed that they need to pay closer attention. But, overall, they helped her and she was comfortable. It worked, so I’m satisfied in that part. She is still in the place.

American Addiction Centers response

Laura, we appreciate that you took the time to provide this feedback. We are pleased to hear your daughter found our facility to be friendly and caring! If you have additional details you'd like to share, please reach out to us directly.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Upon arrival, I was scared 'cause I didn't know where I was going, I didn't know anybody and I'd never been out of state by myself. The behavior health aide was very helpful. I was starving, and they offered me a bag of lunch. The intake went very smoothly and it wasn't a long process at all. Some of the BTA's, however, took their job to another level to where they made it seem like they were correction officers. Sometimes they would threaten us and say, "If you don't do this, you don't go to class. You don't do this, we're gonna take your cellphone." The cellphone thing went beyond everybody's head, because they knew that that was their way of controlling what they wanted us to do. They would push people a little bit too much to make their job a little easier. They didn't want anybody in the dorm so it would be quiet. They also didn't let us tag in to their WiFi because they don't want us on social media posting pictures.

Before I left, they had it to where the cellphone use started at 4 o'clock instead of 8:00. 4 o'clock was a little bit better, but it should've been a little bit earlier because they fail to realize that a lot of us there still have lives outside of River Oaks. We have to make appointments and follow up, pay bills, do this while we're there. 8 o'clock at night, offices are closed. And a lot of people are in different time zones. So, if they wanted to talk to their children, 8 o'clock may not be their time.

Post-treatment for me was a little difficult. After I left, I had things set up on my own because of my location. They were more focused on stuff that was in Florida and down south. I live upper, so it was hard. Then, the IPOs wouldn't take me because I had private care insurance and I didn't wanna drop that in order to get into sober living. Also, a lot of the times my counselor was lazy, so I had to do my own feedback and research on myself to get to where I needed to be when I left River Oaks.

Overall, they could've had a little bit more outings for us to do. From the time that we eat dinner or dinner's over, there's nothing for us to do. There's no bingo, no games, nobody coming in to help the ladies do some nails, do something to keep your mind occupied 'cause you got that time from like 5 o'clock till lights go out at 10:00. They said you can't turn the TV on in the day room until a certain time. By the time you're getting your meds, it's time for them to turn the lights out. And they make you turn the lights out like you're a little kid. Nobody wants to go to bed at 10:00. The campus is really nice, but they lied. There's no pool, there are no horses. They had horse therapy presented in the brochure, but they didn't have that. So it's false advertisement. Nonetheless, I would go back today if I needed to. My therapist was very helpful the whole time I was there.

American Addiction Centers response

Chimere, thank you very much for sharing your experience. Please know that we have forwarded this information to the team internally at River Oaks so that we may identify opportunities and areas of improvement. We wish you the best in your recovery journey.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I've been to the ACC program twice and the only reason why I went back the second time was because of the therapist that I had. I wouldn't be sober today if it weren't for that. My therapist was the absolute best therapist I ever had in the world. I loved it at AAC. Admissions was a little intimidating. There was a lot of paperwork and I have been to other facilities so a lot of paperwork was a lot. But aside from that, they had a great staff and a great clinical team. It was a really down-to-earth facility that I went to at Recovery First in Hollywood and there would be times where we'd go to an outside meeting. This one meeting was where a really close friend of mine died at so they knew it was bothersome to me and we never went back while I was there. It was on another level of care.

When I first got there though and I was moving into residential, one of the techs had just gotten fired. There was an incident while I was there on Christmas. With all the drama stirred up, this tech that had gotten fired. I guess she stirred up a bunch of stuff with the clients. She was telling some people with kids that they didn't love their kids. So that was a little hectic. But that doesn't reflect AAC as a whole. It reflects her.

But within the first two days, a ton of designer stuff and some of my personal properties stored with the techs in safekeeping went missing. The only way that it could've gone missing was through the access of a tech. A $200 perfume was stolen and it had disappeared right when all this happened with this tech and that was the last night that she ever came. I tried to file in for a grievance and a complaint form for it. I would never put any of the techs that are still there accountable but nothing was ever done about it either. I was still disappointed that something was taken like that. I had to continuously file the complaint. Then finally, clinical came back from higher-ups, and I guess they just said that I never had a perfume. So that was a little bothersome. That was the only thing that I wasn't so fond of. But that doesn't even reflect the good times that I had in treatment. So I weighed the good with the bad, and that doesn't even touch the good.

With the way the clinical is set up with the AAC, it definitely keeps you busy. But sometimes, it can be repetitive. Still, the experience was really nice. In a lot of rehabs, you don't have your phone and this and that. But with AAC, you still have that little bit of freedom where you can still have that self-care. You can go to a Walmart, pick up your food and cook it at night. So you still have that sense of responsibility and I enjoyed that.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Nicole, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Recovery First, Hollywood. We take concerns like the one you mentioned very seriously and ask that you reach out to us directly if you'd like to discuss it further. Furthermore, we are pleased to hear you had an overall positive experience with Recovery First and found the therapeutic aspect to be so helpful. We wish you the best in your recovery journey!

Original review: April 6, 2019

My mom dropped me off at one of the American Addiction Centers and I was there for around nine days, but I left early because I had to go back to work. The people were very nice. I didn’t ask a lot of questions when I initially did the intake and my counter ended up calling Susan on the phone. I was in the office and I started asking her questions. Susan was the reason I ended up going.

However, AAC is mismanaged. It was a mess even for me to get a letter out to my employer. Usually, you sit down with your counselor. They have a template that they use and they type the names in, then they send it. You sign a release and it takes eight minutes. At AAC, they told me it was gonna take nine days to get a letter out to my employer and I've never heard of that in my life. I shouldn't be stressing about that while I am at rehab. They told me that it had to go through their corporate office in Tennessee or Georgia. At that point, we had our cellphone, so I just contacted my employer and let them know what was going on.

The staff and the groups were good. I could talk to them. From my experience, they have the self-advocates, so I always do that and things get done, but everyone is underpaid and overworked. They had two people doing discharge planning for a whole bunch of people and it was crazy. There should also be eight people writing the letters, but there was just one that time and they were billing my insurance company the same. They were really understaffed and it was frustrating. There was a woman who came in on prescription medication and she was trying to get off alcohol, but they wouldn't take her off the prescription medication because she had been on it for about a decade. And on her discharge planning, they weren’t getting her set up with a prescription medication doctor outside. That was scary.

Taking attendance was so ridiculous. They took attendance every two minutes and I've never seen that either. It was for legal purposes, but there was a better way to go about it. I had a counselor there and he was very nice. I am gay and I am totally comfortable with myself, but he sat me down and said, "It's okay that you're gay. We're all sinners. Sinners sin." It was so weird and really awkward. If I wasn’t leaving, I would've been totally uncomfortable after that and I probably would've requested a change of counselor if I were to speak with him about other things. Nonetheless, I am clean today.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Meghan, thank you for taking the time to share some feedback on Sunrise House. We work hard to ensure all our patients receive safe and effective treatment and we are sorry to see that you felt some of our services were not as described. However, we are happy to hear you found the staff and groups to be helpful. Congratulations on your recovery success - we wish you the best moving forward!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Original review: March 4, 2020

When I arrived at Sunrise House, the staff was rude and aggressive. There were a few that were pleasant and helpful, but for the most part, they were unpleasant. I wasn’t even assigned a counselor despite repeatedly asking. They said that they were understaffed and couldn’t provide counselors. What they said to me and my wife before I checked in was very different than what I found there. The facilities were in pretty bad shape. There was no orientation, too.

I’m doing fine for other reasons, but I don’t think my experience with the center equipped me at all. It was not helpful. I needed the time in detox and that was helpful, but it was really helpful despite them rather than because of them. They did a pretty bad job of taking care of my belongings, and quite a few belongings went missing. These were toiletry items that I asked for during my stay there. They continually told me they were looking for them and they didn’t. And then when I got back home, I discovered there were more stuff missing.

American Addiction Centers response

Kenneth, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We take concerns like these very seriously and ask that you reach out to us directly at 855-355-2079. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 3, 2020

Sunrise House was the one place that took our insurance, Federal Employee Blue Shield Blue Cross. They have a cool old building. It was a little rundown, but the staff was fine. They greeted me with open arms. It was very necessary to have control of everybody to make us change for the better and make the community be better off on the outside.

There were a lot of people who wanted to be there because they had experienced addiction, and there were also some people who did not want to be there, like those who were court-ordered, and it showed in their behavior. But, for the most part, it was a good experience for me. They taught us to stay in the program and to have the tools to work the program. It was important that the person had to want to. While the building is old and dusty, I love it. If you dwell on the broken and dirty, then that is what you will get out of the program. If you dwell on the positive and what you get out of the course, you will do much better.

American Addiction Centers response

Jerry, thank you for the great review of Sunrise House Treatment Center! We are pleased to hear you found the beauty in our program and facility - we wish you the best continuing forward!

Original review: March 2, 2020

Initially, I felt like I was a little bit on the incarcerated side. I didn't expect to have so many tweakers on the unit when I got there. I understand people are under detox, but I was already detoxed because I came from a hospital. So my experience with that was they were just trying to pad the bill a little bit to put me in detox a little bit for a day or so more.

The staff were pretty nice for the most part. But there's a lof of inconsistencies with the protocols and procedures and who you talk to and who you are. So the treatment was different. I come from a professional background. So I could tell and see it. But it was okay for my needs. I pulled myself more out of it than their treatments. Their counseling was just tell your story and I don't know what they really got of it. As you move up to the floor to the next level of treatment as the hospital is transitioning from treatment just to detox, you could kinda see how it was transitioning where they didn't really care to treat you. They have different floors. One is the detox floor and then the upper level was a more of a treatment floor which was much better. But I didn't really care for the first floor at all. I wouldn't go back if it was to happen. In the future, I would go for a facility-geared to my lifestyle.

The money is not there to sit there and do counseling. The money is there to do the detox. That's where the big bucks are. From what I was gathering, both the floors were coming up onto the complete detox and some therapy to throw in there, and then they ship you out to a secondary hospital or a treatment center than a step-down unit. I didn't know we were in the Bible Belt treatment centers in California. When I called the call center, I didn't know they were commissioned on shipping you over either. I didn't even know that the hospital is in Laguna, which is not even Laguna. So it was a false advertisement on top of that.

You think you'd be by the beach but you're not even close to the beach. It looked more pampered than it was, and then you're already stuck like Chuck. You could walk out, but if you walk out, the insurance ain't gonna cover you up. So you get back in the treatment. It was a complete learning experience to me for this whole situation. They do whatever it takes to get into a treatment facility that they're networked through. It's a crazy, big money-making racket.

American Addiction Centers response

Michael, we appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts and experience. We are sorry to hear our treatment center did not align with your expectations. We wish you well in recovery.

Original review: March 2, 2020

My friend in Wisconsin told me about American Addiction Centers and upon arrival at their facility, I had a very nice experience with them. They were very warm and welcoming. The driver who picked me up at the airport was very kind, too. And when I got there, it might have been a little after 3:00 in the afternoon and they asked if I had eaten anything. I hadn't had any lunch, so they got me a plate from the cafeteria and I ate while they were doing the interview. They were very thoughtful. The accommodation and orientation were good as well. They were complete and thorough.

Aside from that, their reps were understanding and they knew what was going on. I had a therapist, a case manager, and the psychiatrist. I didn't get that familiar with the psychiatrist, but I did with his PA. She was very kind and we had a lot in common. Everybody was knowledgeable, encouraging, and helpful. In the end, my experience with them helped me be successful in weaning off of two sleeping medications.

American Addiction Centers response

Thank you for the great review, Maria!

Original review: March 1, 2020

I liked American Addiction's program very much. The admission was perfectly fine, and everything was great during the stay. I, unfortunately, had known the staff already, but they were very helpful with everything and very approachable. My experience worked out well. I’m in IOP right now.

American Addiction Centers response

Thank you for the great review, Kenneth!

American Addiction Centers Company Information