Call toll free
4.00/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

18 American Addiction Centers Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: June 11, 2019

I've been to the ACC program twice and the only reason why I went back the second time was because of the therapist that I had. I wouldn't be sober today if it weren't for that. My therapist was the absolute best therapist I ever had in the world. I loved it at AAC. Admissions was a little intimidating. There was a lot of paperwork and I have been to other facilities so a lot of paperwork was a lot. But aside from that, they had a great staff and a great clinical team. It was a really down-to-earth facility that I went to at Recovery First in Hollywood and there would be times where we'd go to an outside meeting. This one meeting was where a really close friend of mine died at so they knew it was bothersome to me and we never went back while I was there. It was on another level of care.

When I first got there though and I was moving into residential, one of the techs had just gotten fired. There was an incident while I was there on Christmas. With all the drama stirred up, this tech that had gotten fired. I guess she stirred up a bunch of stuff with the clients. She was telling some people with kids that they didn't love their kids. So that was a little hectic. But that doesn't reflect AAC as a whole. It reflects her.

But within the first two days, a ton of designer stuff and some of my personal properties stored with the techs in safekeeping went missing. The only way that it could've gone missing was through the access of a tech. A $200 perfume was stolen and it had disappeared right when all this happened with this tech and that was the last night that she ever came. I tried to file in for a grievance and a complaint form for it. I would never put any of the techs that are still there accountable but nothing was ever done about it either. I was still disappointed that something was taken like that. I had to continuously file the complaint. Then finally, clinical came back from higher-ups, and I guess they just said that I never had a perfume. So that was a little bothersome. That was the only thing that I wasn't so fond of. But that doesn't even reflect the good times that I had in treatment. So I weighed the good with the bad, and that doesn't even touch the good.

With the way the clinical is set up with the AAC, it definitely keeps you busy. But sometimes, it can be repetitive. Still, the experience was really nice. In a lot of rehabs, you don't have your phone and this and that. But with AAC, you still have that little bit of freedom where you can still have that self-care. You can go to a Walmart, pick up your food and cook it at night. So you still have that sense of responsibility and I enjoyed that.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Nicole, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Recovery First, Hollywood. We take concerns like the one you mentioned very seriously and ask that you reach out to us directly if you'd like to discuss it further. Furthermore, we are pleased to hear you had an overall positive experience with Recovery First and found the therapeutic aspect to be so helpful. We wish you the best in your recovery journey!

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2019

The facility and the people at American Addiction Centers impressed me but it did go downhill while I was there. The place got overcrowded. They were at max capacity and they were feeding us with plastic plates and plastic silverware. We started out with china and silverware and cloth napkins. And before you know it, we were eating off a plastic and we were trying to cut steak and lamb with plastic knives and forks, and cutting right through the foam plates. They attempted to make things better after I complained to the CEO.

There were a few issues that I had problems with and they started dealing with some of them right away. Within a week or so, things started to improve. They made a conscious effort to improve things. But they don't do dishes overnight there so in the morning, we were eating off a foam again. They should hire somebody at minimum wage to wash dishes at night. But in the long run, everything was very good there. The staff was great and so was their approach. I've been to other rehabs. I've been to what's known as the rehab of rehabs, Hazelden, and their approach there was a little different. I really like the approach that they did there at American Addiction Centers in Dallas. I learned a lot. Hopefully, this is the last time I go to one.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Kevin, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with us. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the aspects in which you found frustrating. We are very pleased to hear you had a positive experience overall and found the staff and therapeutic approach to be so effective. We wish you well on your recovery journey!

Original review: April 6, 2019

My mom dropped me off at one of the American Addiction Centers and I was there for around nine days, but I left early because I had to go back to work. The people were very nice. I didn’t ask a lot of questions when I initially did the intake and my counter ended up calling Susan on the phone. I was in the office and I started asking her questions. Susan was the reason I ended up going.

However, AAC is mismanaged. It was a mess even for me to get a letter out to my employer. Usually, you sit down with your counselor. They have a template that they use and they type the names in, then they send it. You sign a release and it takes eight minutes. At AAC, they told me it was gonna take nine days to get a letter out to my employer and I've never heard of that in my life. I shouldn't be stressing about that while I am at rehab. They told me that it had to go through their corporate office in Tennessee or Georgia. At that point, we had our cellphone, so I just contacted my employer and let them know what was going on.

The staff and the groups were good. I could talk to them. From my experience, they have the self-advocates, so I always do that and things get done, but everyone is underpaid and overworked. They had two people doing discharge planning for a whole bunch of people and it was crazy. There should also be eight people writing the letters, but there was just one that time and they were billing my insurance company the same. They were really understaffed and it was frustrating. There was a woman who came in on prescription medication and she was trying to get off alcohol, but they wouldn't take her off the prescription medication because she had been on it for about a decade. And on her discharge planning, they weren’t getting her set up with a prescription medication doctor outside. That was scary.

Taking attendance was so ridiculous. They took attendance every two minutes and I've never seen that either. It was for legal purposes, but there was a better way to go about it. I had a counselor there and he was very nice. I am gay and I am totally comfortable with myself, but he sat me down and said, "It's okay that you're gay. We're all sinners. Sinners sin." It was so weird and really awkward. If I wasn’t leaving, I would've been totally uncomfortable after that and I probably would've requested a change of counselor if I were to speak with him about other things. Nonetheless, I am clean today.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Meghan, thank you for taking the time to share some feedback on Sunrise House. We work hard to ensure all our patients receive safe and effective treatment and we are sorry to see that you felt some of our services were not as described. However, we are happy to hear you found the staff and groups to be helpful. Congratulations on your recovery success - we wish you the best moving forward!

Original review: March 25, 2019

I switched out to the Employee Assistance Program through my job and they reached out to American Addiction Centers. Personally, my experience upon arrival there was a little nerve-wracking. It was the first time that I went into treatment, so it was a little uncomfortable at first, but the staff was welcoming and those feelings shortly went away. The staff members were very professional, understanding and accommodating.

I was taking the experience very seriously, jotting down a lot of notes, and trying to absorb as much information as I could. I learned a lot there, from the staff and some other patients as well. I learned about addictive behaviors and coping skills. As far as the suggestions on follow-up programs, I took that advice and I'm doing an outpatient program right now and going on meetings. I was definitely glad that I got out of my comfort zone and looked to this program for help. But if one experience could be better, it would be that I had certain issues that I had to resolve with my job and certain paperwork that I had to fill out, and these took longer than they could have. But other than that, everything else was great. Overall, my experience with American Addiction Centers was very positive, insightful and helpful.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Sergio, thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review of your experience at Sunrise House! Your feedback is incredibly helpful and valuable - we are so happy to hear that you were willing to give us a chance! If you would like to supplement your follow-up programs, we encourage you to reach out to our team. Best of luck in your recovery efforts!

Original review: March 24, 2019

River Oaks was nice. Upon arrival, I was intoxicated and they made me put on some paper scrubs while they searched my clothes. They did all the paperwork until 5 o'clock in the morning. Then, they finally let me lie down and go to bed. They woke me up at 9 o'clock that same morning to do more paperwork. For the first two or three days, I was kinda pissed off but then after that, it was smooth sailing. I had a good therapist. I didn't speak to a case manager the whole time I was there until I was getting ready to discharge. I was there for 33 days and they offered a decent program but there were a few things that I disagreed with. The males and females were separated during group time but it’s good to hear things from another perspective. It was not practical to me in relation to real life.

Some of the staff were strictly by the book and still easy to get along with. Some of them are more lenient and not completely by the book and friendly, but there were also some who were the same way but you can’t be around them. There were different types of staff but it didn’t affect my treatment. I was there for me and I was determined to get what I could get out of the program. Before I went there, the staff told me that they would put me on some maintenance and see how I would do on that. If I was gonna stay on it, they would keep me on it and if I didn’t want it, they would take it off and it was okay with me. When I got there, they told me that they would see if they were gonna put me on medication or not. I had to threaten them that I was gonna leave if they didn’t start me on it.

Then, they lied to me again to get me to go there. They told me that I would have my phone the entire time that I was there, which was a play on words, because I got there, and they took my phone. They told me that I could get my phone back after detox. I got out of detox and figured out that you don't get your phone all the time. They would give it to you from 6:30 to 7:30 in the morning and then, you'll get it from 8:00 to 10:00 at night. So, there were a lot of downtime and boring time. A lot of times sitting there and I was just ready to leave. The guys get out of group between 3:15 and 3:30 every day and the girls have an extra group from 3:30 to 4:30. So, from 3:30 to 5:30, the boys were just sitting there.

At 5:30, we eat. It takes 10 minutes to eat, so 5:40 to 6:30, you're sitting there doing nothing. Then at 6:30, you have the option to go to an AA or an NA-based meeting. You get out of there at 7:30 and you have to wait 30 more minutes to get your phone. You don't have to go to the meetings and AA and NA is not my chosen method of recovery. It's not the way I do it. So, from 3:30 to 8:00, I was just sitting there, bored and didn't have anything to do. I ended up talking to my therapist. I asked her to give me extra time with my phone and she worked with me. She ended up giving me my phone from 3:30 to 10:00 but I was not allowed to carry my phone outside because it could be a violation. I could be outside taking pictures of other clients and there were too many clients there, so they would make you keep your phone inside.

During phone time, everybody is in their room on their phones. I would get my phone at 3:30 and I would go to my room and hang out. I would talk on the phone for a little bit, leave my phone in the room, go back, smoke a cigarette, hang out and talk, and be sociable for a little bit. Then, get back inside, get back on the phone, go back and eat, hang out and smoke a cigarette, play some cards for a little while, go back inside and check the phone. So, once I got that little situation worked out with my affairs, everything went a lot better.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Logan, thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience with River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so glad to hear that you were able to settle into a routine and find the experience helpful and worthwhile. If you'd like to stay connected to the program, please reach out to our team. We wish you well moving forward!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 18, 2019

I was referred by the VA to American Addiction Centers and I was absolutely lied to on every point. While in processing, I was assured that they had a wonderful legal team that would assist me, that I would be helped in finding housing, and that it was there for dual diagnosis, PTSD as well as substance. On all of those points, they were absolute lies. They straight told me all of these lies and said this, that and the other was available, and it was not.

I have spoken to them multiple times on this. I have multiple emails between me and my case manager at the VA in New Orleans about these differences between what they said we were gonna get. There used to be a pool at the residential and there is one at PHP, but the VA doesn’t cover PHP. The website says that there’s a serenity chair. There is one and it is in the detox location’s group room which you are not allowed to enter unless there’s a group. It said there was a full gym. That gym wasn’t up and working for two weeks until after I got there.

How are they false advertising all of these amenities? There was no WiFi at the residential. There was a network that said AAC Guest, but because everybody in the facility, like the techs, were using it, we weren’t allowed to use it. Because I’m tech minded, what I ended up doing is I took on the responsibility to be the editor-in-chief of the newsletter in order to gain access to the main computer, pinging the router and get the password. Even though I had the password, I was in a house which is the top and furthest out from the office. I couldn’t even pick up service there because the place is built like a damn bunker.

I’ve had a balance of $100 and something in limbo. It was supposed to go back on my mom’s card, but they’re still holding it. It probably went towards my plane ticket, but they need to tell my mom something. They were taking money out of people’s personal accounts to apply to their RX accounts, leaving them without cigarettes. And we had a bunch of pissed off addicts up in there. We had three people leave for that very reason.

Ryan and I halted all flow from New Orleans in Veterans to this place. If I didn’t have Ryan to hold me back the whole time I was there, I don’t know if I would’ve made it. He and I stood side by side and kept everything five by five. We didn’t get paid outings for about a month until Ryan jumped in, took over his peer leader and said, “Look, this is what we were promised.” Then it started being, “Oh, we’ll go to the beach and we’ll buy for everybody, but y’all have to cook it.” Three times I did the barbecue as a cookout. One time, it was frozen hotdogs and hamburgers. We didn’t even get buns, we got sliced bread to put it on.

But the group facilitators were amazing. Steve is recovering addict and he knows the struggles. Vanessa has a family around her that are all recovering addicts, and she’s extremely knowledgeable. As for the staff, I’ve got a list of the ones that are awesome, the ones that do the bare minimum, do their job, but at least are consistent, and the ones that are terrible. They do nothing but sit around and play on their phones and eat fried chicken.

Tess is infuriating because she uses the Socratic method of therapy. She will keep asking questions to box you into a corner so small until you think your own way out, which I appreciate, and it helps. She does her job well. It's infuriating but it's logical. I totally understand it because I read the principles of psychology at age 12. I understand that it’s the Socratic method, but Socrates was the gadfly of Athens ‘cause he was just so infuriating. He assumed you know nothing and would ask you questions on the most basic of things but it was to box you into a corner. He gets you to realize your own fallacy.

Danny is more hands on. He has a tactical approach to it where he identifies the problem and then attacks that problem until you realize that it’s pointless to worry about. So both of the therapists have their own style which is fantastic. Most of the people that I was there with preferred Danny’s style just because of the way he does it.

Mary Lisa and Tess were very professional but it seemed like everything I said to them was approached a little too professionally. They were disconnected like they had no investment in it. It was just like I’m sitting here raising valid points and they’re just, “Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm.” There wasn’t a conversation there. There was just me throwing all of this information out and not really too much was ever done about it.

American Addiction Centers response

Jeremy, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. We encourage you to reach out to us directly so that we may learn more and can take an opportunity to clarify any misunderstandings. Though, we are happy to hear of your positive staff and therapeutic interactions. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: June 15, 2019

My experience with American Addiction Centers was good. When I was checking in, it was really late but I was the only person there and I didn't have to wait. The staff was understanding, caring and good. The therapist was great and the techs were all nice. I'm still doing NA and I'm seeing private counseling now. This is my seventh treatment and so far, so good. American Addiction Centers is a great place. I would recommend it.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Jennifer, thank you very much for taking your time to share some feedback regarding American Addiction Centers. We are so happy to hear of your positive experiences during admission and with the staff, including the therapists and technicians. We are thrilled to hear you are still actively involved in aftercare plans - we wish you all the best in your recovery efforts!

Original review: June 9, 2019

Everyone was super nice at American Addiction Centers. I had a great experience. I had a great counselor and she was able to text me whenever we had meetings. I’ve been to rehab before, and this one was more of an adult rehab. I liked it where they had the options to go to 3 different groups. You didn’t have to just go to 1 group. I’m still sober so it worked out really well. American Addiction Centers gave me tools. At the other rehab, I relapsed after a week. I didn’t really fully completely heal but I healed at American Addiction Centers.

American Addiction Centers response

Kelsey, thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience and feedback. We are pleased to hear you had a positive experience with your counselor, as well as American Addiction Centers overall. Congratulations on your recovery success, we wish you the best on this journey!

Original review: June 7, 2019

I had a great time with American Addiction Centers. I gained infinite number of coping strategies, communication strategies, and different ways which basically make human better. I found the staff to be positive. It was just the sorting hat that I disagree with. I was very unnerved and brought into a very tightly controlled facility. I found all of that kind of unnecessary. I got put in the same bracket as a bunch of teen opiate kids.

I'm a complicated case 'cause I'm an atheist. Requiring a god to get better is demonstrably false in many circumstances. I understand the literature and how many people benefit from this and I know that American Addiction Centers are trying to help more as opposed to the few, but if they could please incorporate smart recovery and some other secular ideology into this program, they'd be able to benefit others.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Roger, thank you so much for taking your time to share your thoughts on American Addiction Centers. We are pleased to hear you learned helpful coping and communication strategies. We appreciate your feedback regarding the format of our recovery program and we will explore areas of opportunity here. We wish you all the best in your recovery journey!

Original review: April 27, 2019

The experience at American Addiction Centers was fine. I relapsed and in doing so, I did some heavy damage to my body. I already had cirrhosis so I ended up in ICU for a week. I’ve been back on track again and haven’t had anything to drink in over a month. It would probably work out well for most people too.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi John, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with River Oaks Treatment Center. We are happy to hear you have found recovery once again - congratulations on over one month sobriety! We wish you well on your recovery journey.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I checked in with American Addiction Centers after the hospital I was in told me that they had that open. The check-in was good. Everybody was really nice when I got there and they made it easy. My counselor, Anthony, was great and the classes were really helpful. However, the longer I stayed in the facility, I started noticing a few things. The rooms were nice but they didn't get cleaned very often. The water was always cold and when you're detoxing, that makes it the absolute worst because your outlet is in the shower. Then, some of the people who were working there were too young, very rude, and wasn't experienced with the treatment that they were providing.

It was also really easy to sneak things in and out of the facility and it made me uncomfortable. When some people get a visit, the staff wouldn't check baby bags and so there were some people who got high. The staff knew about that, but they didn't wanna deal with it right then and there and put it all off. They took notice if you’re late for class, but the very serious matters, they didn't. Also, I'm from Kentucky and I didn't get visits. When you’re not getting visits while the other ones are taking advantage of it, it's just rude. Then, my discharge plan got put off until the very end. I've already left and I'm doing really well now.

Original review: April 8, 2019

A family member recommended American Addiction Centers to me and when I arrived at the Sunrise treatment facility, they were very disorganized. The inspection of my luggage took nine hours then they told me I had a counseling appointment at 1 o’clock on Tuesday but I didn’t have it until 3 o’clock on Wednesday. Also, one person would tell me that I could do this then somebody else would tell me I couldn't. But most of the people there were very friendly and they were nice people who cared about helping the patients. I didn’t stay the full length but I got out of there feeling a lot better about the situation than I was when I went in, so their program helped. I never thought I'd go to a rehab facility so it was a wake up call for me. It's been over a month now since I left there so I've been doing very well.

But AAC could make some more sessions and work on having some recreation time then have it monitored. They have a gym, ping pong, and shuffleboard, but no one ever got to use them because no one had enough time in the little breaks to do those stuff. The group did almost everything as a whole, except for the counseling, and if they made the breaks in between the lectures and sessions shorter, it would free up 45 minutes and people can have a little bit of free time to use the gym. I know people who were there for the whole month and they never got to use the gym because the time they were supposed to use at the gym was also the time they could use the phone, and people wanted to be able to call their loved ones and tell them they were okay.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Christopher, thank you so much for the valuable feedback on Sunrise House Treatment Center! We are thrilled to hear or your overall positive experience and current recovery success. We invite you to reach out to our alumni team to stay connected!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Upon arrival at Sunrise House, my experience was fine. But everything else was a mess. They kicked me out at midnight and made me walk to a quick check and figure out my life there. They thought I stole a vape from somebody but I didn't steal anything. They got my side of the story, but they weren't listening to me. On top of that, I was out without my meds for a week because they wouldn't send them back and it took them forever to send everything back including my clothes. None of the staff did anything.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Gavin, thank you for taking the time to share about your experience. We take experiences like yours very seriously and would love for you to reach out to us directly so that we can learn more. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: April 1, 2019

When I went to River Oaks, it was nerve-wracking at first. But after I set a schedule, everything went fine. The staff was great. They treated me like a person. They didn’t treat me differently. I’ve been out for over a month and haven’t had any cravings. I had a great experience with American Addiction Centers.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Timothy, thank you so much for taking your time to provide a review and rating of River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so glad to hear of your positive interactions with the staff and lasting recovery! We wish you the best in this journey.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My experience with American Addiction Centers went well. Everything was good when I arrived and their staff was all fine. They did a good job.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Thomas, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so thrilled to hear you had a positive experience - we encourage you to reach out to our alumni team to stay connected!

Original review: March 28, 2019

It was chaotic when I arrived at River Oaks. As soon as I got there, I went to the hospital and I was there for all of the hot 15 minutes. My blood pressure was through the roof. But the staff was great and I had no problems with them.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Alton, thank you for taking the time to share about your River Oaks Treatment Center experience. We are happy to hear of your great interactions with the staff! We wish you all the best in your recovery efforts.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I've read about American Addiction Centers online and I decided to go there. However, upon my arrival at the center at River Oaks, they right off the muscle violated HIPAA when a girl strip searched me. And it happened with everybody, not just me, so they obviously always violate HIPAA. Also, the supposed number one psychotherapist in the country literally told me to leave and relapse off my medication and that he wasn't gonna help me. I wasn't asking for any meds or any narcotics. I have really bad anxiety, so I was asking for something long-term that I can take that will be safe, not so because I wanted to get off my drug.

I was not messed up at that time. That was the 15th day and I told them that they weren't helping me. I wasn't getting the help that I needed. I already had two procedures because I wasn't tapered off the drug correctly. I've been taking medication for seven years and they expected me to just come in and be fine, but that was not okay with my medication. They would not work with me on my medicine. They gave me and my roommate food poisoning as well from their food. We found bones in our meals and it wasn't a meal that was supposed to have bones in it. They were beef chips and you never get beef with bones. It was a really bad experience and I did not like River Oaks one bit. I left American Addiction Centers and I am not with them anymore.

American Addiction Centers response

Jacob, thank you so much for choosing to seek addiction treatment with us. Our team takes poor experiences very seriously. We would be eager to learn more and take the opportunity to make things right. Please reach out to us directly so that we can discuss these matters further.

American Addiction Centers Company Information