2. Drug and Alcohol Treatment

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.57/5

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

Unsubscribe at any time.

American Addiction Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Original review: April 1, 2020

I was really messed up and I needed a place to go. I went online and I started looking up rehabs. I called up a random number, and whoever I spoke to on the phone ran my insurance and told me that I qualify. But when they told me it was in Jersey, I told them I didn’t wanna go. It is too far. But a week later, I was feeling like the worst I’ve ever felt and I went to a bar to kinda help me out. While I was at the bar, I was looking at more rehabs closer in New York, where I’m from. I got a call again and it was the same guy and he checked up on me again. He explained to me that they would send a car over at no charge to me and pick me up from my house and then drop me off, then I said okay. And I was there the next day.

When I went in to Sunrise House, I felt kind of ** because of my withdrawal. But the little old lady at the front desk told me that in a little bit I would go upstairs to get my first dose of what I needed, and that kinda helped me out, which was true. I did not mind the search. That was to be expected. But they didn’t just rummage through my belongings. They asked me first if they didn't know something, so it was fine.

With the accommodations, I definitely feel that they can do something with the heat and the coldness because some nights it was so hot, where you're pretty much sleeping naked, which I was. It doesn’t help you to get your rest when you have a room that’s boiling hot or a room that’s freezing cold. It’s messing your sleep up. On top of that, you have someone coming in there every hour checking up on you. But I enjoyed it there. The food was good.

Overall, the staff is pretty helpful. They are nice. But I did come across one situation where a staff member did say something that was not factual and by that happening, someone else got written up. I wrote a statement on that person's behalf explaining exactly what did happen. It’s kinda sexist because I’m a straight male and the person that I kind of bonded to mostly was a straight woman, and in the eyes of everyone else, the whole stupid saying like, two dead batteries don’t start a car. I get it, but we’re people.

One of the big things that they also need to underline there is a lot of times when people are dealing with these addictions whether it’d be through drugs or alcohol, you’re also not communicating properly with the opposite sex. When you’re on these drugs, you’re a kind of one-track mind because you want certain things. So I thought it was really helpful and healthy for me to be in the company of fellow alcoholic that was a female where our conversation had nothing to do with anything sexual at all, but more about who we are when we’re not drinking and how we feel. That was a very crucial part of my recovery.

Also, being able to have that friend that is of the opposite sex where there’s no sexual contact there, but it was very frowned upon, which I think is kinda really rude because this is a rehab that we have checked ourselves into, and if you did not want men and women to be under the same roof, then they should figure that out on their end. But you can’t put men and women together and then tell us that we have to remain x amount of feet from each other. We’re not in a prison. So I found that disturbing. While they were out there looking at us, and we were not doing anything, no one was looking at the other people that were actually doing things in the bushes. I found that hysterical.

This was my first time in a rehab and they have equipped me well to go back. I was a really big drinker but when I was there, I only wanted to have a drink once and since I’ve been home, I haven’t had a drink, and I have no thoughts of having drinks. I’m completely fine. So they equip you with the knowledge of leaving there and to have a successful road to recovery.

Original review: March 3, 2020

With Laguna Treatment, I didn’t feel I was on the dual diagnosis program. I felt that it was strictly alcohol or addiction. It was supposed to be dual diagnosis for depression and for addiction. The whole thing was really focused on addiction, which is not my main issue. Also, the way their rep made it come off to be was it was gonna be this beautiful country club atmosphere, workout rooms and pools. He said, “Make sure you bring your bathing suit.” It was so freaking cold. You couldn’t possibly swim in an outdoor pool in December and January. Not to mention that you're not allowed to go out there except at mealtimes. So, a lot of this was very misrepresented. I was not pleased at all with that respect.

The arrival went fine. It was very late at night. But then, upon looking at my personal belongings that were in a safe later on, there was $100 missing. I filed a report about it and heard nothing for two weeks. And the only reason why I heard something was because I found proof that I did have the money that I stated I have. I was spoken to very disrespectfully by the person in the office telling me not to get an attitude with her after she accused me of lying. I was really upset about that. The only reason why I finally was able to prove it was because they did write the amount down on the piece of plastic back that stored all my money and credit cards. But I hadn’t noticed that until two weeks had gone by. They offered me a gift card back, not the $100 cash that was missing, which was wrong. If I lost cash, I should have been able to be given cash back.

Some of the staff were wonderful and some of them sucked. I was told that I couldn’t have the blankets that I needed because it was cold there because other patients might be cold, and it wasn’t fair for me to have more blankets. A solution to that was to buy more blankets. Why should I have to be uncomfortable because others might be uncomfortable? They need to supply enough blankets if they can’t have heat at a reasonable temperature. They tried coming in and covering the vents that the cold air comes out of. Unfortunately, it just pushes it out of other different places like on the casement of the door where the latch would go into. The cold air flew out of there instead when they covered it up. And that’s also the same vent that the heat’s supposed to come out of. So, that was a loss.

Then, another day, I came up after working out, and there was no clean towels anywhere to be found. So, I couldn’t take a shower after being sweaty and gross, and had to continue on with my day with groups, stinking, after doing an hour in the treadmill. They should buy more towels. The groups and everything were fine. But they were just really focused on addiction and nothing to do with anybody who has depression or anxiety. It’s all addiction, recovery, recovery, recovery, addiction, recovery. I had to stay sober. How do I stay not depressed? How do I build my self-esteem? They should consider that.

You need to be able to do more outings because you start to go stir-crazy if your minding is standing. They're not doing any more passes where people can go out for two hours on their own, which for me was the only thing that saved my life. That would have been absolutely nuts in there for that long a time because you're not allowed to bring in candy or things like that. And when you go out in the outings, that’s really nice but you're not allowed to bring any money. You’re not allowed to spend any money unless you happen to have maybe a wallet in your phone. That would be nice.

They may have implemented a little store, but it’s not the same as going to Walmart or similar and being able to buy some sweatpants like I had to when I went out on pass because it was too cold. I had to spend a lot of money on warm clothing because it certainly never expected to be freezing. I had to buy three sweatshirts and a pair of sweatpants. This was in California. I expected everything to be really warm. I never expected to be freezing. I didn’t know what winters were like because I come from Connecticut. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend the center for somebody who’s struggling more with mental illness than addiction, but I'm happy enough with my experience.

American Addiction Centers response

Antoinette, thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. We have shared this feedback internally with the team at Laguna Treatment Hospital to identify possible areas of opportunity and improvement. We wish you well in recovery.

Get buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I set up my daughter's thing with Hayley. There was a little difficult time with Eunice Detox Center, where she was supposed to be in there during the whole thing. Two weeks in, on about the 13th day, they told her that she had to be out on the 14th day because they have changed to just a detox facility. So, she ended up going on a scholarship thing from a friend and she went for a week to Crossroads in La Habra for a week. Then, through our insurance, she found La Hoya Recovery in San Diego, a rehab place. So, she has been in there now since the 24th of January.

The paperwork probably said that she left to get some medical advice from Laguna, and they said they did that because they said that she could stay the one more day, but she didn’t stay the one more day. She found another place and so she left. Hayley called me and said, “Why did you leave against medical advice?” And so I explained the situation. They were like, “You’re kidding me. They told her that she had to leave.” I said, “Yeah. But because she left on the 13th day and not the 14th day, it says AMA."

I had called over 30 facilities three weeks before I found American Addiction Centers. She was on 85 milligrams of a drug a day and nobody would take here until she was down to 40. Then the clinic was saying they do 2 milligrams a week and that would take five months. So finally, when I called them, Hayley said that Laguna would take her. The rest is history and hopefully it all works out. She’s doing fantastic right now. I liked the facility, it was warm, and the people were very friendly. They were caring every step.

However, after she was there for a week, her new roommate came in and she had drugs on her. So, the searching needs to get a little bit better. She came in and dropped all the drugs in front of my daughter. She was screaming at my daughter because she was high, and she didn’t even know her. My daughter told me that I had to get her out of there. So, I went there the following day and we had to get security to get her roommate moved out of that room. After I left and after they said they would do it, I got a text from my daughter and she said that she was hiding in another room and the girl still had not left. They didn't get the girl moved until 10 or 11 at night that day. So, that was not handled correctly.

There is also a lot of freedom there because on another day, a guy ran in and he took his clothes off, and he was like jumping on another girl. So, there are a few things because it’s coed that they need to pay closer attention. But, overall, they helped her and she was comfortable. It worked, so I’m satisfied in that part. She is still in the place.

American Addiction Centers response

Laura, we appreciate that you took the time to provide this feedback. We are pleased to hear your daughter found our facility to be friendly and caring! If you have additional details you'd like to share, please reach out to us directly.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Upon arrival, I was scared 'cause I didn't know where I was going, I didn't know anybody and I'd never been out of state by myself. The behavior health aide was very helpful. I was starving, and they offered me a bag of lunch. The intake went very smoothly and it wasn't a long process at all. Some of the BTA's, however, took their job to another level to where they made it seem like they were correction officers. Sometimes they would threaten us and say, "If you don't do this, you don't go to class. You don't do this, we're gonna take your cellphone." The cellphone thing went beyond everybody's head, because they knew that that was their way of controlling what they wanted us to do. They would push people a little bit too much to make their job a little easier. They didn't want anybody in the dorm so it would be quiet. They also didn't let us tag in to their WiFi because they don't want us on social media posting pictures.

Before I left, they had it to where the cellphone use started at 4 o'clock instead of 8:00. 4 o'clock was a little bit better, but it should've been a little bit earlier because they fail to realize that a lot of us there still have lives outside of River Oaks. We have to make appointments and follow up, pay bills, do this while we're there. 8 o'clock at night, offices are closed. And a lot of people are in different time zones. So, if they wanted to talk to their children, 8 o'clock may not be their time.

Post-treatment for me was a little difficult. After I left, I had things set up on my own because of my location. They were more focused on stuff that was in Florida and down south. I live upper, so it was hard. Then, the IPOs wouldn't take me because I had private care insurance and I didn't wanna drop that in order to get into sober living. Also, a lot of the times my counselor was lazy, so I had to do my own feedback and research on myself to get to where I needed to be when I left River Oaks.

Overall, they could've had a little bit more outings for us to do. From the time that we eat dinner or dinner's over, there's nothing for us to do. There's no bingo, no games, nobody coming in to help the ladies do some nails, do something to keep your mind occupied 'cause you got that time from like 5 o'clock till lights go out at 10:00. They said you can't turn the TV on in the day room until a certain time. By the time you're getting your meds, it's time for them to turn the lights out. And they make you turn the lights out like you're a little kid. Nobody wants to go to bed at 10:00. The campus is really nice, but they lied. There's no pool, there are no horses. They had horse therapy presented in the brochure, but they didn't have that. So it's false advertisement. Nonetheless, I would go back today if I needed to. My therapist was very helpful the whole time I was there.

American Addiction Centers response

Chimere, thank you very much for sharing your experience. Please know that we have forwarded this information to the team internally at River Oaks so that we may identify opportunities and areas of improvement. We wish you the best in your recovery journey.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

American Addiction Centers was great. They’re very strict about some of the rules. Those applied to the kids more than to me, but I understood that they apply it across the board. The regular classes were pretty good, and some of them were excellent. They had some kind of filling stuff late in the day, and they would bring in people who had been addicted, and they’d talk to you. That got a little repetitive because it was the same thing over and over, but they wanted you to attend everything. They weren’t sticklers about it because I had a bad back and they understood that. So, I could do six a day classes, and then my back just gave out. I understand that they had to do it that way because of insurance, and also to keep the kids busy. If they didn’t keep them busy, they would be misbehaving.

I made some friends while I was there. They were kinda peers. One was an engineer and another designed golf courses. We still stay in touch and we had no relapse issues since then. My issue was I had a hip replacement and they were giving me narcotics, and finally, I just had to say, “I can't handle this.” And so, I walked away from it, which was strange because you're not supposed to be able to do that. But then, when this pain started coming back in my other hip and my shoulder, and my back, I started self-medicating with alcohol because I wasn’t gonna do the narcotics again, and it got out of hand. My situation was a little unusual. There was nothing recreational about my use.

I wasn’t happy with the art class, but almost all of the staff at American Addiction Centers was excellent. When I was kinda finishing up, I was supposed to pick two people that influenced me the most, and I picked two of the staff because one kinda guided me, and the other one would tell me when I was full of crap, which I needed. The kitchen staff and the housekeeping staff were excellent as well. I couldn’t believe that in the morning I’d walk out of the room to go to a class and I’d come back and the room would be spotless.

The food was excellent, too. The kitchen staff that I interacted with was always friendly and helpful. And I noticed that there were people with special food needs, and they’d cater to them. There was vegetarian, and he always got his own vegetarian meal at mealtime. There was a person with a gluten issue and similar thing. So, they did everything they could to accommodate you. I have no complaints with them.

American Addiction Centers response

Jess, thank you so much for taking the time to share about your positive experience with American Addiction Centers! We strive to provide an individualized treatment experience catered to each patient's needs. We are thrilled to hear you found recovery success with us and found our program so helpful!

Original review: March 29, 2020

American Addiction Centers reps were friendly and helpful for the most part. The living arrangements at the Sunrise House were okay. The food and the classes were good, although I preferred some of the counselors over others. I felt that others were more passionate about it and a couple were more by the book. Also, I understand there's no groundbreaking material when it comes to this stuff. It's really just trying to nail it home, to get people to understand what they can do in the future and do something different. I found it helpful overall and they really challenged us to think about what we were gonna do once we got out and was faced with regular life again.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I stayed at the Sunrise House for six days. I was highly medicated on the first day. I was a drinker so it was one day of nothing. But by day two or three, I felt back to normal and was pretty coherent. I understand they have certain things they have to do but the place was really poorly organized. The nurses and the people that worked there were good though. But the administrative people, like the higher-ups and the counselors, barely did anything for you and it made me wanna leave.

A couple of people and I were miserable and couldn’t wait to just try to find a way to get out. That was really unfortunate. I was in the detox center. I only went to the rehab for one day but in my experience, the detox center was miserable. I don’t think I needed the rehab facility. But there are some people I know that were there and I really wish stayed because of what they had expressed to me. But they were so uncomfortable that they were trying to do whatever they could to get out.

Once I was fine, I asked if I could make a call and if I could talk to a counselor. I also asked what services I was gonna be provided. But it was impossible to even meet with my counselor. Everything was like the counselor was gonna be in for the next three days. It was very difficult to get anything done. I was trying to be productive and get things done but they did not allow that to happen.

It was a big waiting game and I kept trying to get information. I became friendly with a woman who worked there who kind of ran the floor and even she was frustrated. She was like, “There’s nothing we can do. It’s the weekend. You can’t see your counselor." If people came on a Thursday, which was when I went in, they can’t see their counselor until Monday which is like five days later. They wouldn’t let you make calls to your family, friends or anyone unless you had a counselor so I couldn’t make a call for four days because I couldn’t see my counselor.

During the counseling sessions, it’s not like they try to give you any kinda guidance or therapy. It was just very administrative even in there. I know that Sunrise was the most affordable place with my insurance and considering all that. But if I go through something like that again, I’d rather go into debt and go somewhere nicer because it was really rough. It was horrible.

That place needs to be a little bit better run which I think could be done. The facility wasn’t bad. Their excuse was that they had so many people coming in right then. But that was their job so they should be prepared. They shouldn't leave their patients, like me, and leave them hanging. We are coming off of drug issues. The anxiety is high, you’re medicated, you’re scared, and you’re alone. We need guidance and we can’t just be sitting in a room.

At Sunrise, you have your own little room and that's fine. They give you a tiny hotel room kinda thing with a sink and there’s a shared bathroom. I don’t really have complaints about that kinda stuff. They also have a room for the women to sit and watch TV, a room for the men to sit and watch TV, and they have a kitchen. They would not let us socialize with the men at all, which I kind of understand, but they should let us live. We were not trying to do anything weird. We were just trying to talk to people.

They would actually interfere if I went over to the men’s. They had a better TV area in the men's area. If the women were all asleep, I would walk over there. They told me I couldn't be there. I asked what else I was supposed to do. But that was not a huge complaint. It was a little silly. No one was trying to get in relationships or anything crazy in that kind of environment. That was literally the bottom of the line. It was all about support.

I was not a cigarette smoker but every two hours, they’d have these smoke breaks. I picked up smoking for that week. I don’t smoke now. It was just to get out of that building. Chain-smoking every two hours was like the only thing people had to do. And it was kinda detrimental. But I think once you get into the rehab facility, it’s better in the sense that you’re busy all day. They have meetings and I went through one day of that then my parents agreed to take me out of there. That was not horrible but with the way the detox ran, I felt like an animal.

Nothing I said mattered because I don’t know if they thought I was screwed up. After a day and a half, I really wasn’t. One of the people there even asked if I wanted to work there. I was helping the friends that I had made there run things and get things done. She said that she had not seen a counselor and it had been five days. I said, “Okay, well, I’m gonna make sure you do.” I had to jump in. Maybe they were understaffed at the facility.

I feel like the detox just needs to be run better. We were ** up to that point. We needed to go through that but we are still people. We have rights and we should have the ability to talk to our families and take our phones. They shouldn't make it so difficult for us to find support if they were not gonna provide it. I’m gonna wanna call my boyfriend or my mom even if it’s not every day. But I was told I needed a counselor. If so, they should have them on deck and have one on call.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I wasn't comfortable going to Sunrise House because I was 700 miles away from home, but it was also a new experience. I had to just deal with it as I got there. Whenever I'm not comfortable, I kinda just shut down. So that was one thing I was starting to work on when I was getting there and it wasn't getting any better, but Sunrise House is a very good place to be at. My experience short and abrupt, but I got back onto the right set of mind track that I learned from an IOP program at Wellstone. It's getting me back into the mindset that I needed to be into instead of ranting and raving and running the streets like I was. So that's helping a lot. Now I'm just paying attention to them and following the steps that I had to follow.

Original review: March 23, 2020

The people were nice and everything was okay. It was an old place, so it wasn’t the most modern of facilities, but what's important was how the people cared for us, and they did a good job. I was only there for several days as I was there for detox, but the people that I met seemed to be very caring and it was about as good as I could expect. They’ve been doing all the right things. What I needed from them worked for me.

Original review: March 22, 2020

While doing research, I found American Addiction Centers on the internet. Everything was all good with them. I stayed at the Sunrise House and everybody was pretty supportive. It was also a good schedule. The living area was fine. There, I learned not to be in denial. Anyone that wants to learn can learn and be a better person. The only thing was they were really short of staff and I wish they have a little bit more people.

American Addiction Centers Company Information