Call toll free
3.35/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

American Addiction Centers Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

My wife has been doing research for a dual diagnosis center and came up with American Addiction Centers. I talked to someone who was in Tennessee. First, I did my detox at AdCare in Rhode Island. Then my insurance kinda surprised me and said, "We're not gonna pay for this" so I had to leave. I ended up at Sunrise House in Lafayette, New Jersey a year ago and the detox was slow but it was an overall good experience. Almost all the staff really cares.

The problem is they're understaffed for just about every position. Also, there were some issues when I left this last time. This last summer, I left a whole list of things they could do that were low-hanging fruit to make the place more handicapped-friendly. We had a lady there with only one leg and in a chair. She couldn't even get her chair into the bathroom. She was on the first floor. There were steps in every direction which could easily be solved with a temporary ramp that you can put around the corner and hang up, pull it out when you get somebody with a wheelchair. There was a lot of stuff. I gave it to the CEO and to the doctor there. I've worked at a social service agency, and my job was with facilities' safety and I was the fleet manager so I kinda knew what I was looking for. Otherwise, it was good.

The one complaint that I heard continuously from people there was that their brochures and the stuff their website tends to play up are the swimming pools and all of those things but they didn't have one. But I wasn't looking for that. I was looking for recovery. And on that basis, I thought the classes were good. When I was there last year, there was one staff member that was since been gone, that I thought was not quite up to it. He's very repetitive. And what he wrote had turned into stories about him. But he's no longer there, so that's water under the bridge.

And this last time I was there, there was quite a bit of contraband drugs getting onto the floor. The people were somehow managing to not take their medications they were given and then selling them to other people, or there's somebody who is getting them in from outside. Have a friend come up and drop a bag off behind a tree, that sort of thing, which is always a possibility. People were able to get a bunch of things. But I recommended the facility to other people. It has a very institutional feeling that makes it not very welcoming but the staff is good and the rooms were okay. The food is good, too.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Karl, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts, experience, and suggestions for American Addiction Centers. Please know that we are working hard to make our facilities more ADA friendly and accessible. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and wish you well on your recovery journey!

Get expert buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I've been to the ACC program twice and the only reason why I went back the second time was because of the therapist that I had. I wouldn't be sober today if it weren't for that. My therapist was the absolute best therapist I ever had in the world. I loved it at AAC. Admissions was a little intimidating. There was a lot of paperwork and I have been to other facilities so a lot of paperwork was a lot. But aside from that, they had a great staff and a great clinical team. It was a really down-to-earth facility that I went to at Recovery First in Hollywood and there would be times where we'd go to an outside meeting. This one meeting was where a really close friend of mine died at so they knew it was bothersome to me and we never went back while I was there. It was on another level of care.

When I first got there though and I was moving into residential, one of the techs had just gotten fired. There was an incident while I was there on Christmas. With all the drama stirred up, this tech that had gotten fired. I guess she stirred up a bunch of stuff with the clients. She was telling some people with kids that they didn't love their kids. So that was a little hectic. But that doesn't reflect AAC as a whole. It reflects her.

But within the first two days, a ton of designer stuff and some of my personal properties stored with the techs in safekeeping went missing. The only way that it could've gone missing was through the access of a tech. A $200 perfume was stolen and it had disappeared right when all this happened with this tech and that was the last night that she ever came. I tried to file in for a grievance and a complaint form for it. I would never put any of the techs that are still there accountable but nothing was ever done about it either. I was still disappointed that something was taken like that. I had to continuously file the complaint. Then finally, clinical came back from higher-ups, and I guess they just said that I never had a perfume. So that was a little bothersome. That was the only thing that I wasn't so fond of. But that doesn't even reflect the good times that I had in treatment. So I weighed the good with the bad, and that doesn't even touch the good.

With the way the clinical is set up with the AAC, it definitely keeps you busy. But sometimes, it can be repetitive. Still, the experience was really nice. In a lot of rehabs, you don't have your phone and this and that. But with AAC, you still have that little bit of freedom where you can still have that self-care. You can go to a Walmart, pick up your food and cook it at night. So you still have that sense of responsibility and I enjoyed that.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Nicole, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Recovery First, Hollywood. We take concerns like the one you mentioned very seriously and ask that you reach out to us directly if you'd like to discuss it further. Furthermore, we are pleased to hear you had an overall positive experience with Recovery First and found the therapeutic aspect to be so helpful. We wish you the best in your recovery journey!

Original review: June 8, 2019

The facility and the people at American Addiction Centers impressed me but it did go downhill while I was there. The place got overcrowded. They were at max capacity and they were feeding us with plastic plates and plastic silverware. We started out with china and silverware and cloth napkins. And before you know it, we were eating off a plastic and we were trying to cut steak and lamb with plastic knives and forks, and cutting right through the foam plates. They attempted to make things better after I complained to the CEO.

There were a few issues that I had problems with and they started dealing with some of them right away. Within a week or so, things started to improve. They made a conscious effort to improve things. But they don't do dishes overnight there so in the morning, we were eating off a foam again. They should hire somebody at minimum wage to wash dishes at night. But in the long run, everything was very good there. The staff was great and so was their approach. I've been to other rehabs. I've been to what's known as the rehab of rehabs, Hazelden, and their approach there was a little different. I really like the approach that they did there at American Addiction Centers in Dallas. I learned a lot. Hopefully, this is the last time I go to one.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Kevin, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with us. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the aspects in which you found frustrating. We are very pleased to hear you had a positive experience overall and found the staff and therapeutic approach to be so effective. We wish you well on your recovery journey!

Original review: April 6, 2019

My mom dropped me off at one of the American Addiction Centers and I was there for around nine days, but I left early because I had to go back to work. The people were very nice. I didn’t ask a lot of questions when I initially did the intake and my counter ended up calling Susan on the phone. I was in the office and I started asking her questions. Susan was the reason I ended up going.

However, AAC is mismanaged. It was a mess even for me to get a letter out to my employer. Usually, you sit down with your counselor. They have a template that they use and they type the names in, then they send it. You sign a release and it takes eight minutes. At AAC, they told me it was gonna take nine days to get a letter out to my employer and I've never heard of that in my life. I shouldn't be stressing about that while I am at rehab. They told me that it had to go through their corporate office in Tennessee or Georgia. At that point, we had our cellphone, so I just contacted my employer and let them know what was going on.

The staff and the groups were good. I could talk to them. From my experience, they have the self-advocates, so I always do that and things get done, but everyone is underpaid and overworked. They had two people doing discharge planning for a whole bunch of people and it was crazy. There should also be eight people writing the letters, but there was just one that time and they were billing my insurance company the same. They were really understaffed and it was frustrating. There was a woman who came in on prescription medication and she was trying to get off alcohol, but they wouldn't take her off the prescription medication because she had been on it for about a decade. And on her discharge planning, they weren’t getting her set up with a prescription medication doctor outside. That was scary.

Taking attendance was so ridiculous. They took attendance every two minutes and I've never seen that either. It was for legal purposes, but there was a better way to go about it. I had a counselor there and he was very nice. I am gay and I am totally comfortable with myself, but he sat me down and said, "It's okay that you're gay. We're all sinners. Sinners sin." It was so weird and really awkward. If I wasn’t leaving, I would've been totally uncomfortable after that and I probably would've requested a change of counselor if I were to speak with him about other things. Nonetheless, I am clean today.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Meghan, thank you for taking the time to share some feedback on Sunrise House. We work hard to ensure all our patients receive safe and effective treatment and we are sorry to see that you felt some of our services were not as described. However, we are happy to hear you found the staff and groups to be helpful. Congratulations on your recovery success - we wish you the best moving forward!

Original review: March 24, 2019

River Oaks was nice. Upon arrival, I was intoxicated and they made me put on some paper scrubs while they searched my clothes. They did all the paperwork until 5 o'clock in the morning. Then, they finally let me lie down and go to bed. They woke me up at 9 o'clock that same morning to do more paperwork. For the first two or three days, I was kinda pissed off but then after that, it was smooth sailing. I had a good therapist. I didn't speak to a case manager the whole time I was there until I was getting ready to discharge. I was there for 33 days and they offered a decent program but there were a few things that I disagreed with. The males and females were separated during group time but it’s good to hear things from another perspective. It was not practical to me in relation to real life.

Some of the staff were strictly by the book and still easy to get along with. Some of them are more lenient and not completely by the book and friendly, but there were also some who were the same way but you can’t be around them. There were different types of staff but it didn’t affect my treatment. I was there for me and I was determined to get what I could get out of the program. Before I went there, the staff told me that they would put me on some maintenance and see how I would do on that. If I was gonna stay on it, they would keep me on it and if I didn’t want it, they would take it off and it was okay with me. When I got there, they told me that they would see if they were gonna put me on medication or not. I had to threaten them that I was gonna leave if they didn’t start me on it.

Then, they lied to me again to get me to go there. They told me that I would have my phone the entire time that I was there, which was a play on words, because I got there, and they took my phone. They told me that I could get my phone back after detox. I got out of detox and figured out that you don't get your phone all the time. They would give it to you from 6:30 to 7:30 in the morning and then, you'll get it from 8:00 to 10:00 at night. So, there were a lot of downtime and boring time. A lot of times sitting there and I was just ready to leave. The guys get out of group between 3:15 and 3:30 every day and the girls have an extra group from 3:30 to 4:30. So, from 3:30 to 5:30, the boys were just sitting there.

At 5:30, we eat. It takes 10 minutes to eat, so 5:40 to 6:30, you're sitting there doing nothing. Then at 6:30, you have the option to go to an AA or an NA-based meeting. You get out of there at 7:30 and you have to wait 30 more minutes to get your phone. You don't have to go to the meetings and AA and NA is not my chosen method of recovery. It's not the way I do it. So, from 3:30 to 8:00, I was just sitting there, bored and didn't have anything to do. I ended up talking to my therapist. I asked her to give me extra time with my phone and she worked with me. She ended up giving me my phone from 3:30 to 10:00 but I was not allowed to carry my phone outside because it could be a violation. I could be outside taking pictures of other clients and there were too many clients there, so they would make you keep your phone inside.

During phone time, everybody is in their room on their phones. I would get my phone at 3:30 and I would go to my room and hang out. I would talk on the phone for a little bit, leave my phone in the room, go back, smoke a cigarette, hang out and talk, and be sociable for a little bit. Then, get back inside, get back on the phone, go back and eat, hang out and smoke a cigarette, play some cards for a little while, go back inside and check the phone. So, once I got that little situation worked out with my affairs, everything went a lot better.

American Addiction Centers response

Hi Logan, thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience with River Oaks Treatment Center. We are so glad to hear that you were able to settle into a routine and find the experience helpful and worthwhile. If you'd like to stay connected to the program, please reach out to our team. We wish you well moving forward!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I am writing this review to help the family of other addicts. If you are involved in a placement of your loved one in a facility please read this email. I have been in contact with the the American addiction centers head quarter in Tennessee for almost two months regarding placement of my adult son who has a court order for treatment. I specifically have had long conversation with staff member named Keana. She was well aware of my son lack of cooperation and his past attempts of leaving many treatment centers for the past 10 years. She closely followed my son case through me or by contacting the mental health facility he was treated by court order.

She with the help of other staff convinced the lock down mental health facility's social worker to release my son to their care where they can watch him closely, giving him treatment and stop him from leaving the facility. She even promised me that they can hire additional security paid by us to prevent him from leaving. She assured me if he leaves since he is under the court order they will be able to call the police. Let me tell you my son left after 3 days staying in their facility, Laguna treatment hospital in Aliso Viejo, California and none of what they had promised happened.

Upon my call to the facility I was informed that he left and they won't be able to tell me anything more. Believe me I have experienced this many times in the past but at least this time their promises regarding involvement of the police and their awareness of the court order made me to believe them. I thought this promise can at least put my son in jail rather than street to overdose.

American Addiction Centers response

Shannon, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns. Please know I have forwarded this information to our team internally and a staff member will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

The place was really and very inviting as far as rehabs go. It was also easy and quick getting in, and all the staff was amazing. There were a couple of people that were really good. They really helped me. The treatment gave me coping mechanisms and got me through the first 37 days that I needed to start the journey. I'm very satisfied with American Addiction Centers.

American Addiction Centers response

Christian, thank you so much for the kind words and great rating of American Addiction Centers! We are very happy to hear you found the staff so supportive and the therapeutic approach conducive to successful recovery. We wish you continued success on your journey.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

My husband was told that we were supposed to be at American Addiction Centers at 6:00 PM. We got there on time and when we walked into the place, nobody was around. Moreover, nobody was sitting in the reception area at the office. I was standing outside and talking to residents that were staying in the rehab. And it was an hour until we finally found someone and my husband left feeling very nervous about leaving me there.

Once I was brought up on to the detox floor, I sat in the hallway for a while then got into my room. It was a little after dinner when we had gotten there, but I hadn’t eaten. I sat in my room thinking somebody was gonna come to tell me what to do. I sat there for quite a while and started to get upset. I didn’t know where anything was. Finally, I walked out to the front and asked the girl at the nurse’s station if somebody was gonna help me. I said that I was new there and asked what I was supposed to do. It was not good a good experience.

American Addiction Centers was understaffed and things were a little disorganized. We were supposed to have groups and meetings, but a lot of times, there would be nobody to do them. It would be canceled and we would just sit around. One night, in a group, there was some arguing going on with some of the staff and the residents. I was afraid somebody was gonna pick up a chair and throw it. I was scared and called my husband. While some of the staff were wonderful, others were not. But I won the day I left there. I was supposed to get clean and I got what I needed by being removed from my situation at home.

American Addiction Centers response

Deborah, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. While are are pleased to hear you found treatment successful, we would like to learn more about the concerns you present. Please reach out to us directly at 855-355-2079 so that we can gain an opportunity to make things right and improve future patient experiences. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I had a very bad experience with American Addiction Centers and I am in the process of a lawsuit because of the bad service I got there. They didn’t even respond to my complaint and no one ignores lawsuits. That’s the stupidest thing you could do. But that's good. It means I might get some money. The judge could always overturn the case and he probably will.

There was a number of very bad things that American Addiction Centers did. First of all, the medical director and the only doctor that I saw in my four weeks there was not properly certified with ASAM or ABAM, which is a licensing requirement in New Jersey. I found that out afterwards. She was so bad that I went and did research in what the licensing requirements are. I looked her up on the ASAM and the ABAM websites and when I put her name in there, it said there’s no doctor with this name who’s certified. I also know she’s not because when I looked at her website on the internet, she was listed as an internist.

She’s been an internist her whole life and she’s 64 years old. She somehow took this job for a short period of time. She’s gone already but she was serving as the medical director and she didn’t know what she was doing in terms of dual diagnosis and co-occurring disorders. She was totally out of her league. They even had her taking care of a hundred patients. She had no time in her schedule. One time I asked her if she could change my depression medications. I told her that while I was there, she had to change my depression medications and then monitor me because I really needed to change that. I couldn't stop drinking if I couldn't stop the depression. She said she was gonna do it. Then a week passed and when I met with her again, I asked her what she had done and she asked me what I was talking about. I reminded her and she said she had patients one after the other all day long and I couldn't expect her to do everything she tells every patient.

When I was researching the rest of the licensing requirements, I noted at least 10 other violations that they had while I was there in terms of the number of hours of instruction a day and the number of hours of therapy a week. The number of people in the group therapy sessions was supposed to be limited to 8 but they had at least 12 in every session that I was in. When I asked for my medical records afterwards, they didn’t have any either. They didn’t keep track of me. They sent me various papers that were not medical records.

Another requirement by licensing requirements is to maintain a treatment plan. But when I asked them for my treatment plan, what they sent me was a list of things that I was supposed to do for me. It was not things that they were supposed to do for me but things that I was supposed to achieve. I don’t think that’s a treatment plan. It should be their plan for treating me. Plus when I read the licensing requirements, one of the first paragraphs was saying that these licensing requirements were written in order to maintain a minimum standard of quality care for an addiction center to provide services to their patients. These are minimum standards and American Addiction Centers failed to meet 11 of the key standards.

American Addiction Centers didn't seem to have their act in order very well there. I ended up relapsing and I was so gung-ho when I went in there too. I really thought that I was gonna stop. I was committed. I did it on my own and I stayed sober the whole time I was in there. But they didn’t give me the tools to stay sober when I got out. They did not provide any other treatment for my co-occurring disorder, the depression, which is the reason I went there. American Addiction Centers advertise themselves as being at the leading edge of dealing with dual diagnosis and co-occurring disorders.

Their CEO, Michael Cartwright, is one of the leading advocates. He basically says you can’t treat alcoholism unless you treat the underlying thing, whatever it is, whether it’s depression or anxiety. I have a serious chronic depression issue and I told them if I was gonna kick this alcohol thing, I gotta kick this chronic depression. But the doctor had no clue. You reach this point in your life when you finally make a cry for help. You're reaching out and throwing yourself on their mercy. But then you don’t get the kind of care, even the minimum standard of care in a place like this. It bursts your bubble. It takes you away from where you’re really committed and you just need some help to where you’re right back to square one again. That’s just terrible.

This doctor started working there some time in 2019. The CEO of the company started working in March of 2019. There was a press release that they issued that he is the man who was gonna lead them into the future. But both of them are already gone. So even internally, I think they realized something was all screwed up that they lost the CEO. The medical director and he didn’t even last a year. Maybe they were replaced with qualified people. But certainly, during the period of time that the doctor was in charge, nobody was being treated. And that’s a sin. That’s unethical. The place was so outta control and they didn’t care about any of the licensing requirements because they were thinking, "Who the hell is gonna catch us? All we have is a bunch of addicts coming here. They’re not gonna be smart enough to raise any questions.”

Sunrise Treatment Center was bought by a public company, American Addiction Centers, about three years ago, and like most of the time when you have a big company buy a small company, they went in and cut all costs. There was not enough therapists, class time and teachers. They didn’t even hire a doctor who was qualified to be the medical director. So in my whole time there, I did not have a qualified medical director. I don’t even know how, ethically, this woman could hold herself out to be an addiction specialist.

The nurse practitioner there, Jeff, is the nicest guy I met in the whole place. He didn’t come out and say it but he basically told me that the place was outta control, that this doctor didn't know what the heck she was doing and that he felt sorry for me. He understood what I was going through. He tried everything he could and was bending over backwards. I kept going to him behind the doctor's back, trying to get some help in some way or another. It was just a waste.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

At American Addiction Centers, the women were on the third floor and it was nice. The men were on the second floor and the first floor was where the cafeteria was. I was there for a week and a half, but I didn’t wanna stay there. I wanted to go home the minute I got there because I didn’t feel like they were really trying to help me. The staffs were weird. They didn’t try to talk to me. They didn't spent enough time in one-on-ones. They had groups, but I was so sick and couldn’t even go to the groups. I was still in detox and they were mad at me because I didn’t go to the groups. I spent a lot of time sleeping though.

Also, I just had a hip surgery and had my medicine with me since I still had to take it. They took it from me. My doctor said they should have destroyed it in front of me, but they didn’t. They just took it and I don’t know if they were supposed to do that or not. They also put me on some medication and I was shaking so bad, I could hardly fly home. But I got off of it as soon as I got home. I didn’t like American Addiction Centers very well.

American Addiction Centers response

Leanne, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with American Addiction Centers. I am sorry to hear our treatment program did not align with your expectations. If you wish to further address your concerns, please contact us directly at 855-355-2079 or https://americanaddictioncenters.ethicspoint.com/.

American Addiction Centers Company Information