2. Drug and Alcohol Treatment

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

American Addiction Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Original review: April 1, 2020

I was really messed up and I needed a place to go. I went online and I started looking up rehabs. I called up a random number, and whoever I spoke to on the phone ran my insurance and told me that I qualify. But when they told me it was in Jersey, I told them I didn’t wanna go. It is too far. But a week later, I was feeling like the worst I’ve ever felt and I went to a bar to kinda help me out. While I was at the bar, I was looking at more rehabs closer in New York, where I’m from. I got a call again and it was the same guy and he checked up on me again. He explained to me that they would send a car over at no charge to me and pick me up from my house and then drop me off, then I said okay. And I was there the next day.

When I went in to Sunrise House, I felt kind of ** because of my withdrawal. But the little old lady at the front desk told me that in a little bit I would go upstairs to get my first dose of what I needed, and that kinda helped me out, which was true. I did not mind the search. That was to be expected. But they didn’t just rummage through my belongings. They asked me first if they didn't know something, so it was fine.

With the accommodations, I definitely feel that they can do something with the heat and the coldness because some nights it was so hot, where you're pretty much sleeping naked, which I was. It doesn’t help you to get your rest when you have a room that’s boiling hot or a room that’s freezing cold. It’s messing your sleep up. On top of that, you have someone coming in there every hour checking up on you. But I enjoyed it there. The food was good.

Overall, the staff is pretty helpful. They are nice. But I did come across one situation where a staff member did say something that was not factual and by that happening, someone else got written up. I wrote a statement on that person's behalf explaining exactly what did happen. It’s kinda sexist because I’m a straight male and the person that I kind of bonded to mostly was a straight woman, and in the eyes of everyone else, the whole stupid saying like, two dead batteries don’t start a car. I get it, but we’re people.

One of the big things that they also need to underline there is a lot of times when people are dealing with these addictions whether it’d be through drugs or alcohol, you’re also not communicating properly with the opposite sex. When you’re on these drugs, you’re a kind of one-track mind because you want certain things. So I thought it was really helpful and healthy for me to be in the company of fellow alcoholic that was a female where our conversation had nothing to do with anything sexual at all, but more about who we are when we’re not drinking and how we feel. That was a very crucial part of my recovery.

Also, being able to have that friend that is of the opposite sex where there’s no sexual contact there, but it was very frowned upon, which I think is kinda really rude because this is a rehab that we have checked ourselves into, and if you did not want men and women to be under the same roof, then they should figure that out on their end. But you can’t put men and women together and then tell us that we have to remain x amount of feet from each other. We’re not in a prison. So I found that disturbing. While they were out there looking at us, and we were not doing anything, no one was looking at the other people that were actually doing things in the bushes. I found that hysterical.

This was my first time in a rehab and they have equipped me well to go back. I was a really big drinker but when I was there, I only wanted to have a drink once and since I’ve been home, I haven’t had a drink, and I have no thoughts of having drinks. I’m completely fine. So they equip you with the knowledge of leaving there and to have a successful road to recovery.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I went to the Laguna Treatment Center twice. The first time I checked in there, I filled out the papers in about two minutes. But for my second time, I told them to look at their file and that my info was all in there. My last experience with them was also horrible but that goes with every treatment program I go to. On my first day, some roommate of mine told me that he'd slap me if I farted in there. But I told him that I'd kill him if he looked at me like that again and he complained. Also, one of their staff there tried to get me and my ex-fiance to separate because we were talking. So, I almost fought the fool. I told him to get out of my face or I was gonna beat him up. Then, they got sick of me and kicked me out. I was there for six days.

Other than that, my last sponsor there got to step 3 with me. But my other sponsor got me a drink. I’ve been to 50 treatments after that and they all hate me now. But the staff at the Laguna Treatment Center was decent. I don't like the staff in general though as I always knew 10 more things than them and it pisses them off, so we just never end up talking. Besides that, the food was better during my second time there and the staff learned very quickly just to leave me alone, so that was cool. They'd usually kick me out before they even know me and that’d be a headache because I’m a headache. But so far, I’m straight.

Get buying tips about Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have went to American Addition Centers one time. I wish there would be better staff at night and they would give me more information upon arrival. I always arrived in the middle of the night so there would only be one employee working the front and I was a little bit nervous. The place looks beautiful but I don't get a lot of information when I come in. They ask me a bunch of questions and I don't get any answers.

When I was at Greenhouse, all the BHTs that watch us and nurses were great. The therapists are nice as well. But I had had interactions with the people that are above them and a lot of them tend to be snobby. If we had an issue and it was one of those things that we were told by a therapist or by a nurse or by somebody to go to somebody higher than them 'cause that's who could fix it. But they always had this holier than thou type of comeback to our questions. It makes use to feel bad about being there.

The first time I went, I only did a 30-day stay at the Greenhouse main. But once I've been there about a week and a half, I have every worksheet that they're gonna pass out. I've already done everything and it got to the point where I could literally quote what we were gonna talk about that day. I was doing 30 days so 20 of those days, I was not gaining any knowledge. Then I went to GHOP and I went to Resolutions and did 30 days there. They just got me clean and then they told me what makes me an addict. I learned that, how my brain is different than everybody else's, and I can't ever use drugs or drink again. They also stepped up a lot over. That's where I really learned how to be by myself and still be sober 'cause there was a lot of anxiety about that. It's easy to stay clean in rehab but once one gets out and gotta be an adult, that's when it's hard. But they really help me test that.

I also like the step system where when I first get there, I can't go out or own any passes. But then, over time, as long as the therapist approves, I can go out on passes. I can walk down the street and go sit at a restaurant and eat something. Before I actually leave, they test and see how I'm gonna feel when I'm out in the real world. I really loved all the therapists that are there at the Greenhouse main. They really care and they really want to try and switch things up but they don't have the say-so to do it. The people that do don't care. But to the therapists, I've seen them cry because they want to be able to help us but they just can't.

Original review: March 3, 2020

With Laguna Treatment, I didn’t feel I was on the dual diagnosis program. I felt that it was strictly alcohol or addiction. It was supposed to be dual diagnosis for depression and for addiction. The whole thing was really focused on addiction, which is not my main issue. Also, the way their rep made it come off to be was it was gonna be this beautiful country club atmosphere, workout rooms and pools. He said, “Make sure you bring your bathing suit.” It was so freaking cold. You couldn’t possibly swim in an outdoor pool in December and January. Not to mention that you're not allowed to go out there except at mealtimes. So, a lot of this was very misrepresented. I was not pleased at all with that respect.

The arrival went fine. It was very late at night. But then, upon looking at my personal belongings that were in a safe later on, there was $100 missing. I filed a report about it and heard nothing for two weeks. And the only reason why I heard something was because I found proof that I did have the money that I stated I have. I was spoken to very disrespectfully by the person in the office telling me not to get an attitude with her after she accused me of lying. I was really upset about that. The only reason why I finally was able to prove it was because they did write the amount down on the piece of plastic back that stored all my money and credit cards. But I hadn’t noticed that until two weeks had gone by. They offered me a gift card back, not the $100 cash that was missing, which was wrong. If I lost cash, I should have been able to be given cash back.

Some of the staff were wonderful and some of them sucked. I was told that I couldn’t have the blankets that I needed because it was cold there because other patients might be cold, and it wasn’t fair for me to have more blankets. A solution to that was to buy more blankets. Why should I have to be uncomfortable because others might be uncomfortable? They need to supply enough blankets if they can’t have heat at a reasonable temperature. They tried coming in and covering the vents that the cold air comes out of. Unfortunately, it just pushes it out of other different places like on the casement of the door where the latch would go into. The cold air flew out of there instead when they covered it up. And that’s also the same vent that the heat’s supposed to come out of. So, that was a loss.

Then, another day, I came up after working out, and there was no clean towels anywhere to be found. So, I couldn’t take a shower after being sweaty and gross, and had to continue on with my day with groups, stinking, after doing an hour in the treadmill. They should buy more towels. The groups and everything were fine. But they were just really focused on addiction and nothing to do with anybody who has depression or anxiety. It’s all addiction, recovery, recovery, recovery, addiction, recovery. I had to stay sober. How do I stay not depressed? How do I build my self-esteem? They should consider that.

You need to be able to do more outings because you start to go stir-crazy if your minding is standing. They're not doing any more passes where people can go out for two hours on their own, which for me was the only thing that saved my life. That would have been absolutely nuts in there for that long a time because you're not allowed to bring in candy or things like that. And when you go out in the outings, that’s really nice but you're not allowed to bring any money. You’re not allowed to spend any money unless you happen to have maybe a wallet in your phone. That would be nice.

They may have implemented a little store, but it’s not the same as going to Walmart or similar and being able to buy some sweatpants like I had to when I went out on pass because it was too cold. I had to spend a lot of money on warm clothing because it certainly never expected to be freezing. I had to buy three sweatshirts and a pair of sweatpants. This was in California. I expected everything to be really warm. I never expected to be freezing. I didn’t know what winters were like because I come from Connecticut. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend the center for somebody who’s struggling more with mental illness than addiction, but I'm happy enough with my experience.

American Addiction Centers response

Antoinette, thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. We have shared this feedback internally with the team at Laguna Treatment Hospital to identify possible areas of opportunity and improvement. We wish you well in recovery.

Original review: March 3, 2020

Sunrise House was the one place that took our insurance, Federal Employee Blue Shield Blue Cross. They have a cool old building. It was a little rundown, but the staff was fine. They greeted me with open arms. It was very necessary to have control of everybody to make us change for the better and make the community be better off on the outside.

There were a lot of people who wanted to be there because they had experienced addiction, and there were also some people who did not want to be there, like those who were court-ordered, and it showed in their behavior. But, for the most part, it was a good experience for me. They taught us to stay in the program and to have the tools to work the program. It was important that the person had to want to. While the building is old and dusty, I love it. If you dwell on the broken and dirty, then that is what you will get out of the program. If you dwell on the positive and what you get out of the course, you will do much better.

American Addiction Centers response

Jerry, thank you for the great review of Sunrise House Treatment Center! We are pleased to hear you found the beauty in our program and facility - we wish you the best continuing forward!

Original review: March 29, 2020

American Addiction Centers reps were friendly and helpful for the most part. The living arrangements at the Sunrise House were okay. The food and the classes were good, although I preferred some of the counselors over others. I felt that others were more passionate about it and a couple were more by the book. Also, I understand there's no groundbreaking material when it comes to this stuff. It's really just trying to nail it home, to get people to understand what they can do in the future and do something different. I found it helpful overall and they really challenged us to think about what we were gonna do once we got out and was faced with regular life again.

Original review: March 28, 2020

I stayed at the Sunrise House for six days. I was highly medicated on the first day. I was a drinker so it was one day of nothing. But by day two or three, I felt back to normal and was pretty coherent. I understand they have certain things they have to do but the place was really poorly organized. The nurses and the people that worked there were good though. But the administrative people, like the higher-ups and the counselors, barely did anything for you and it made me wanna leave.

A couple of people and I were miserable and couldn’t wait to just try to find a way to get out. That was really unfortunate. I was in the detox center. I only went to the rehab for one day but in my experience, the detox center was miserable. I don’t think I needed the rehab facility. But there are some people I know that were there and I really wish stayed because of what they had expressed to me. But they were so uncomfortable that they were trying to do whatever they could to get out.

Once I was fine, I asked if I could make a call and if I could talk to a counselor. I also asked what services I was gonna be provided. But it was impossible to even meet with my counselor. Everything was like the counselor was gonna be in for the next three days. It was very difficult to get anything done. I was trying to be productive and get things done but they did not allow that to happen.

It was a big waiting game and I kept trying to get information. I became friendly with a woman who worked there who kind of ran the floor and even she was frustrated. She was like, “There’s nothing we can do. It’s the weekend. You can’t see your counselor." If people came on a Thursday, which was when I went in, they can’t see their counselor until Monday which is like five days later. They wouldn’t let you make calls to your family, friends or anyone unless you had a counselor so I couldn’t make a call for four days because I couldn’t see my counselor.

During the counseling sessions, it’s not like they try to give you any kinda guidance or therapy. It was just very administrative even in there. I know that Sunrise was the most affordable place with my insurance and considering all that. But if I go through something like that again, I’d rather go into debt and go somewhere nicer because it was really rough. It was horrible.

That place needs to be a little bit better run which I think could be done. The facility wasn’t bad. Their excuse was that they had so many people coming in right then. But that was their job so they should be prepared. They shouldn't leave their patients, like me, and leave them hanging. We are coming off of drug issues. The anxiety is high, you’re medicated, you’re scared, and you’re alone. We need guidance and we can’t just be sitting in a room.

At Sunrise, you have your own little room and that's fine. They give you a tiny hotel room kinda thing with a sink and there’s a shared bathroom. I don’t really have complaints about that kinda stuff. They also have a room for the women to sit and watch TV, a room for the men to sit and watch TV, and they have a kitchen. They would not let us socialize with the men at all, which I kind of understand, but they should let us live. We were not trying to do anything weird. We were just trying to talk to people.

They would actually interfere if I went over to the men’s. They had a better TV area in the men's area. If the women were all asleep, I would walk over there. They told me I couldn't be there. I asked what else I was supposed to do. But that was not a huge complaint. It was a little silly. No one was trying to get in relationships or anything crazy in that kind of environment. That was literally the bottom of the line. It was all about support.

I was not a cigarette smoker but every two hours, they’d have these smoke breaks. I picked up smoking for that week. I don’t smoke now. It was just to get out of that building. Chain-smoking every two hours was like the only thing people had to do. And it was kinda detrimental. But I think once you get into the rehab facility, it’s better in the sense that you’re busy all day. They have meetings and I went through one day of that then my parents agreed to take me out of there. That was not horrible but with the way the detox ran, I felt like an animal.

Nothing I said mattered because I don’t know if they thought I was screwed up. After a day and a half, I really wasn’t. One of the people there even asked if I wanted to work there. I was helping the friends that I had made there run things and get things done. She said that she had not seen a counselor and it had been five days. I said, “Okay, well, I’m gonna make sure you do.” I had to jump in. Maybe they were understaffed at the facility.

I feel like the detox just needs to be run better. We were ** up to that point. We needed to go through that but we are still people. We have rights and we should have the ability to talk to our families and take our phones. They shouldn't make it so difficult for us to find support if they were not gonna provide it. I’m gonna wanna call my boyfriend or my mom even if it’s not every day. But I was told I needed a counselor. If so, they should have them on deck and have one on call.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I wasn't comfortable going to Sunrise House because I was 700 miles away from home, but it was also a new experience. I had to just deal with it as I got there. Whenever I'm not comfortable, I kinda just shut down. So that was one thing I was starting to work on when I was getting there and it wasn't getting any better, but Sunrise House is a very good place to be at. My experience short and abrupt, but I got back onto the right set of mind track that I learned from an IOP program at Wellstone. It's getting me back into the mindset that I needed to be into instead of ranting and raving and running the streets like I was. So that's helping a lot. Now I'm just paying attention to them and following the steps that I had to follow.

Original review: March 23, 2020

The people were nice and everything was okay. It was an old place, so it wasn’t the most modern of facilities, but what's important was how the people cared for us, and they did a good job. I was only there for several days as I was there for detox, but the people that I met seemed to be very caring and it was about as good as I could expect. They’ve been doing all the right things. What I needed from them worked for me.

Original review: March 22, 2020

While doing research, I found American Addiction Centers on the internet. Everything was all good with them. I stayed at the Sunrise House and everybody was pretty supportive. It was also a good schedule. The living area was fine. There, I learned not to be in denial. Anyone that wants to learn can learn and be a better person. The only thing was they were really short of staff and I wish they have a little bit more people.

American Addiction Centers Company Information