2. Drug and Alcohol Treatment

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

With over 25 locations nationwide, American Addiction Centers provide compassionate care to adults who face struggling times with addiction and mental health disorders. AAC works to customize tailored treatment plans for every person that seeks treatment. American Addiction Centers are passionate about providing each person with the tools to recover and achieve wellness.

American Addiction Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Addiction Centers?

Original review: March 21, 2020

A friend of ours told me about American Addiction Centers. Everything went well. Most of their reps were great. I paid a lot of money to go there. It was cash money and not insurance. All the staff from the classes and everything were great. I didn’t have any treatment but I took the classes. You really learn a lot from the classes.

But I didn't receive what they promised before I went to the Sunrise House. I was promised a room of my own, shower and everything like a regular room. But then I had to share showers like in a jailhouse and I wasn’t comfortable with that. That was one of my big issues there. Also, the room and the linen were dirty. If they need help with doing that, I’d be more than happy to go and work for them and show them what to do. I worked for a hotel for 17 years and I know what’s supposed to be clean and what’s not supposed to be clean.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I was addicted to a medication and when I asked my doctors to provide some way of getting off of them, I got nowhere, so I decided to seek medical detox. I signed myself in with American Addiction Centers. Their website looked fabulous, but it was completely false. When I got there and was told what to expect, it was nothing compared to what I was told on the phone from the person in the central location. My second impression was absolute disgust when they showed me the living quarters. The place looked like Salvation Army wouldn’t take that furniture. They showed me to a room and it was at least 100 degrees in there. I told them no and that this was not gonna happen. The staff said that I got a fan and that I should feel privileged. It was the beginning of the jailhouse syndrome.

The nursing staff was absolutely phenomenal. They were angels. But the other staff couldn't get a job in a third-rate Mexican prison. They were disgusting people. I asked for a box of tissues and I was told they didn’t have any. I said that I didn't believe him and he said, “I don’t give a damn.” I went to the nursing station, and one of those angels said, “That’s **.” And she went and got me a box of tissues. They also made the guy who told me he didn't give a damn come back and apologize. He didn't mean it, but hey.

Overall, it’s a horrible place. They should be closed. They are taking advantage of people at their most vulnerable state. I signed myself out of there on the third day. I had to threaten them with violence to get them to get me out. I told them that if I was not out of there by 9 o’clock tomorrow morning, I was gonna take the things that they put away for me. And if they would call the police, I welcome them. Amazingly, two hours later, they signed me out. When I left there, I called the township board of health, the county board of health, and the state board of health and filed complaints against them. They're terrible and there's no excuse for it.

Original review: March 19, 2020

The Sunrise Home Location of American Addiction Centers was a dump. It was everything I didn't want it to be. I cannot begin to say just how bad the conditions were. The staff was equally bad too. The lodgings were horrific and doctors were not in the position to really titrate or do a lesser turn on the meds. People were having seizures and our brains wouldn't operate properly. We would go into a stage and that was terrible. The women were having them one way, the men were having them other ways.

Also, the place was really male-dominated. It was really bad because they would become very violent when having seizures. Women would not be as violent but they would be kinda trapped in a cage and not know what to do. I did not sleep for 10 days and checked myself out against medical orders. They equipped me with nothing and now I have nothing but a desire to find someplace else. I have been unlucky in finding other places.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I went to the Laguna Treatment Center twice. The first time I checked in there, I filled out the papers in about two minutes. But for my second time, I told them to look at their file and that my info was all in there. My last experience with them was also horrible but that goes with every treatment program I go to. On my first day, some roommate of mine told me that he'd slap me if I farted in there. But I told him that I'd kill him if he looked at me like that again and he complained. Also, one of their staff there tried to get me and my ex-fiance to separate because we were talking. So, I almost fought the fool. I told him to get out of my face or I was gonna beat him up. Then, they got sick of me and kicked me out. I was there for six days.

Other than that, my last sponsor there got to step 3 with me. But my other sponsor got me a drink. I’ve been to 50 treatments after that and they all hate me now. But the staff at the Laguna Treatment Center was decent. I don't like the staff in general though as I always knew 10 more things than them and it pisses them off, so we just never end up talking. Besides that, the food was better during my second time there and the staff learned very quickly just to leave me alone, so that was cool. They'd usually kick me out before they even know me and that’d be a headache because I’m a headache. But so far, I’m straight.

Original review: March 4, 2020

When I arrived at Sunrise House, the staff was rude and aggressive. There were a few that were pleasant and helpful, but for the most part, they were unpleasant. I wasn’t even assigned a counselor despite repeatedly asking. They said that they were understaffed and couldn’t provide counselors. What they said to me and my wife before I checked in was very different than what I found there. The facilities were in pretty bad shape. There was no orientation, too.

I’m doing fine for other reasons, but I don’t think my experience with the center equipped me at all. It was not helpful. I needed the time in detox and that was helpful, but it was really helpful despite them rather than because of them. They did a pretty bad job of taking care of my belongings, and quite a few belongings went missing. These were toiletry items that I asked for during my stay there. They continually told me they were looking for them and they didn’t. And then when I got back home, I discovered there were more stuff missing.

American Addiction Centers response

Kenneth, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We take concerns like these very seriously and ask that you reach out to us directly at 855-355-2079. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: March 3, 2020

Sunrise House was the one place that took our insurance, Federal Employee Blue Shield Blue Cross. They have a cool old building. It was a little rundown, but the staff was fine. They greeted me with open arms. It was very necessary to have control of everybody to make us change for the better and make the community be better off on the outside.

There were a lot of people who wanted to be there because they had experienced addiction, and there were also some people who did not want to be there, like those who were court-ordered, and it showed in their behavior. But, for the most part, it was a good experience for me. They taught us to stay in the program and to have the tools to work the program. It was important that the person had to want to. While the building is old and dusty, I love it. If you dwell on the broken and dirty, then that is what you will get out of the program. If you dwell on the positive and what you get out of the course, you will do much better.

American Addiction Centers response

Jerry, thank you for the great review of Sunrise House Treatment Center! We are pleased to hear you found the beauty in our program and facility - we wish you the best continuing forward!

Original review: March 2, 2020

Initially, I felt like I was a little bit on the incarcerated side. I didn't expect to have so many tweakers on the unit when I got there. I understand people are under detox, but I was already detoxed because I came from a hospital. So my experience with that was they were just trying to pad the bill a little bit to put me in detox a little bit for a day or so more.

The staff were pretty nice for the most part. But there's a lof of inconsistencies with the protocols and procedures and who you talk to and who you are. So the treatment was different. I come from a professional background. So I could tell and see it. But it was okay for my needs. I pulled myself more out of it than their treatments. Their counseling was just tell your story and I don't know what they really got of it. As you move up to the floor to the next level of treatment as the hospital is transitioning from treatment just to detox, you could kinda see how it was transitioning where they didn't really care to treat you. They have different floors. One is the detox floor and then the upper level was a more of a treatment floor which was much better. But I didn't really care for the first floor at all. I wouldn't go back if it was to happen. In the future, I would go for a facility-geared to my lifestyle.

The money is not there to sit there and do counseling. The money is there to do the detox. That's where the big bucks are. From what I was gathering, both the floors were coming up onto the complete detox and some therapy to throw in there, and then they ship you out to a secondary hospital or a treatment center than a step-down unit. I didn't know we were in the Bible Belt treatment centers in California. When I called the call center, I didn't know they were commissioned on shipping you over either. I didn't even know that the hospital is in Laguna, which is not even Laguna. So it was a false advertisement on top of that.

You think you'd be by the beach but you're not even close to the beach. It looked more pampered than it was, and then you're already stuck like Chuck. You could walk out, but if you walk out, the insurance ain't gonna cover you up. So you get back in the treatment. It was a complete learning experience to me for this whole situation. They do whatever it takes to get into a treatment facility that they're networked through. It's a crazy, big money-making racket.

American Addiction Centers response

Michael, we appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts and experience. We are sorry to hear our treatment center did not align with your expectations. We wish you well in recovery.

Original review: March 2, 2020

My friend in Wisconsin told me about American Addiction Centers and upon arrival at their facility, I had a very nice experience with them. They were very warm and welcoming. The driver who picked me up at the airport was very kind, too. And when I got there, it might have been a little after 3:00 in the afternoon and they asked if I had eaten anything. I hadn't had any lunch, so they got me a plate from the cafeteria and I ate while they were doing the interview. They were very thoughtful. The accommodation and orientation were good as well. They were complete and thorough.

Aside from that, their reps were understanding and they knew what was going on. I had a therapist, a case manager, and the psychiatrist. I didn't get that familiar with the psychiatrist, but I did with his PA. She was very kind and we had a lot in common. Everybody was knowledgeable, encouraging, and helpful. In the end, my experience with them helped me be successful in weaning off of two sleeping medications.

American Addiction Centers response

Thank you for the great review, Maria!

Original review: March 1, 2020

I liked American Addiction's program very much. The admission was perfectly fine, and everything was great during the stay. I, unfortunately, had known the staff already, but they were very helpful with everything and very approachable. My experience worked out well. I’m in IOP right now.

American Addiction Centers response

Thank you for the great review, Kenneth!

Original review: March 1, 2020

The staff of American Addiction Centers were polite when I first got there. The facility looks nice. But it wasn’t conducive to getting treatment. I needed structure and programming, and to meet with the case manager to know what was going on or what was gonna be happening, and also to meet with a doctor. None of that happened so I left. They do a great job selling themselves, but when it comes down to providing the service it wasn’t what I was told would happen whatsoever. So if you’re looking to get help, don’t go to Laguna Treatment Hospital because that place is pretty much like a ** vacation. It’s kind of like jail. There are no bars, but there's nowhere to go for walks to be in the sunshine. The patios that they had for smoking were covered with tall, dark glass windows. The areas where there was sunshine, we weren’t permitted to be in.

American Addiction Centers response

Jennie, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are sorry to hear your expectations did not align with the treatment offerings at Laguna Treatment Hospital. We wish you the best moving forward.

American Addiction Centers Company Information