3.7/5 (145 ratings)
Find a Mattress Brands partner

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2021

Shop Now

About Purple Mattress

Purple designs its mattresses for pressure relief with layers of support form, comfort foam and hyper-elastic polymer to accommodate all sleeping positions. Each mattress comes with a 100-night trial, and shipping and returns are free. The Purple Mattress starts at $649, the Purple Hybrid starts at $1,299 and the Purple Hybrid Premier starts at $1,899.

Pros

• Designed for pressure relief
  • 100-night in-home trial
  • Alternative to memory foam
  • Supporting products available

Cons

• Original mattress has less edge support
  • Mattresses are heavy

Bottom Line

Purple offers an alternative to memory foam mattresses with its smart grid technology. While the original model doesn't allow you to choose a firmness level, they're designed to be medium-firm, which should suit most sleepers.

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2021

Shop Now

Purple Mattress Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purple Mattress?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purple Mattress?

Original review: July 20, 2021

My son was originally promised delivery on July 14. He was then told it would be delayed until July 15. It is now July 20 and still have not received the mattress. On the 17th, he was told it was at a warehouse 10 miles from my house. On the 18th, it was supposedly on a FedEx truck headed to my house. In speaking to customer service today, it was clear they don't really have a clue where the mattress is or if it will ever arrive.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I purchased a Purple mattress a little over three years ago, and I had a Stearns and Foster pillow top mattress before that for about ten years that was way better. The Purple (my favorite color) had been a disappointment. I truly believe your mattress is all hipe and marketing sales technique. I'm obviously over the return date of my mattress, but I just wanted to give you my honest feedback since I saw your fourth of July ad online. I remember when the Purple started out as a mattress topper (and should remain), and your Hybrid Premier is basically just that, a regular coil spring mattress with the Purple topper. Since I'm so disappointed in my purchase I think I will do that buy a good mattress and put the Purple gel grid on top and see how that feels. If that doesn't work for me I'll use the gel grid for something else. I have a massage chair that probably could benefit from it.

Original review: June 26, 2021

While we didn't keep the Purple Mattress they were awesome about the return. Just fill out the form and get your confirmation number and then arrange the pickup. We will try a different model in the future.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I bought this thinking we would sleep better plus wanted an adjustable bed frame. I wake every morning so does my husband barely able to walk. Arm pain. Back pain and hip. Im 41. He is 35. We are shuffling around like we're 90 now.

Original review: April 2, 2021

I bought after seeing the advertisement on Youtube. I though it was going to be the best mattress ever which it was for the first year and a half, but then after my back started hurting continuously. My mattress dips down in the center and bends my back into a banana shape. I wake up many times at night to move around due to my back hurting. I'm going to have to start sleeping in the floor till I find another mattress from a different company. Really wished it continued to work, but it's causing me a really bad backache.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

We've had this mattress for 6 weeks and the off-gassing odor is nearly as intense as when it first arrived. It makes our throats scratchy, our bedroom stink, and we have to change sheets every other night. It's truly awful! We've taken to sleeping in the guest room until we can get it replaced. The grid, while comfortable from a supportive standpoint, is at the same time too noticeable. You actually can feel the squares under your body through your sheets; it's odd. The motion separation is excellent, and it is much cooler than sleeping on a Tempur-Pedic, for which I'm giving the 2nd star.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I tried both the Purple 2 then the Purple 3. Both gave me deep lower back aches and when I tried to return the second mattress they would not accept because it was less than two weeks over the timeframe but did not offer any solution either! Terrible product. Does not distribute pressure better than competition as claimed. Total gimmick, not developed by NASA scientists as claimed according to a sleep expert I consulted. Was actually a different company before it was Purple. Has a firmer waffle material and Purple does not last as long either, guess you get what you pay for, next trying Tempur-Pedic. My experience is already better with their product!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

I ordered the Purple Hybrid Premier King for $2799. The website lead me to believe with the purchase of the mattress the company was offering a free gift deal with a value of $193. (Free set of king sized sheets and a free king plush pillow.) So I order and addition King Plush pillow for $64 as well to make it a set. I also purchased the mattress protector for $109. My total was $2972 without tax. I was very excited because I have wanted a Purple Mattress for years. Like many online shoppers I searched for any promo codes that may be available to apply to my purchase and found one that gave me an additional $150.00 off the $2972 plus tax total. Which matters even more because my purchase would be "cash" outright not financing or charging on a credit card.

When my PayPal receipt came to my email I realized that I was charged a total of $3241.14. A difference of $287.14. I called customer services to get it worked out. I was told it was because I "stacked coupons". They used the coupon and did not honor the deal from the website which I argued was NOT a coupon but a price from the internet purchase. The lady told me in a nice way that is your policy. No stacking coupons and that the "free gift" was a coupon. I then requested my purchase be canceled!!!! I would have never thought applying the "Promo Code" would increase my purchase total. I find it very disheartening that a company would advertise one thing then not honor it! PURPLE is not the company to purchase a mattress from!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

It's a great mattress. Never dips or holds heat. An awesome full night of sleep every night. Have been through so many mattresses in the past 8 years. Finally got the right one! Son slept on it when he came for a visit. He's a big fellow and said he sleepy great.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

After sleeping at my sister's one night I realized the next morning I had slept more soundly than I had in many months. The next morning, I exclaimed that I had much less arthritic pain than usual, and learned I'd slept on a Purple mattress. I took the Purple quiz and purchased just the right mattress for my home and have reaped the benefits of better, longer sleep and far less leg pain.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I have suffered from low back pain for about 15 years, I've been to chiropractors, physical therapy, and pain doctors. We just got our Purple 4 Mattress 6 nights ago, and I absolutely love it. I sleep all night, and when I get out of bed in the morning I can stand straight up with very little pain... I do still have some but I think with a few more weeks using the purple mattress it will be gone. Also, my hands used to fall asleep at night, and haven't once since I've been in the Purple Mattress. In my opinion, it was worth the money! I wish we would've bought it a long time ago.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Purple's comfort level is poor to very poor. A foam topper is needed to alleviate the aches and pains it causes and to make it bearable. It is so poor at heat dissipation that you'll be dripping with sweat by morning in spite of keeping the room at 72 degrees F. It may not break eggs falling on it but it WILL break your back. It is a regrettable purchase.

Original review: July 23, 2020

The 100 day test was really great. It gives you enough time to make sure it’s right for you. This has turned out to be the best mattress I have ever owned! They offer a military discount as well. The white glove delivery was fast and very efficient. They took away the old mattress and cleaned up beautifully. Very good experience.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Starting looking for the right mattress in Nov 2019. We tried 4 different ones. Layla, Beautyrest, Foster & Stearns and DreamCloud. Then we decided to give PURPLE a try after a friend referred it and long conversations with several different sales folks who actually answer the phone and respond to emails. We got the Hybrid 4, the one with the 4" crate due to the fact we are a little on the heavy side and did not want to sleep on the coils. It is perfect.

With memory foam you will sink in, and when you move it takes a few minutes to expand back to shape. NOT the case with PURPLE. That crate comes right back like it's trying to support your move. Also it cool! Like not hot kinda cool. It addresses all of the pressure points and my arms no longer fall asleep and my hips aren't slipping out. We are side, back and stomach sleepers. The price is steep and it's not a long trial or lifetime warranty however after one night we knew it was well worth it. I hope I can still say that in 10 years.

Original review: June 11, 2020

DO NOT BUY PURPLE MATTRESS. Although I thought it was great to sleep in we needed to return due to shoulder pain, they talk us into upgrading for the more expensive mattress and tell me the return is no problem, they handle all of it. I keep emailing and calling for instructions because the new one is on the way and the old one needs to be taken out. No one gets back to you. Now the new one is here, on the floor blocking my bathroom- they are too heavy to move on your own and the old one is here too, still on the bed.

NOW Purple tells me I have to arrange for the pick up and donation of the first mattress or they will charge me for both. If I knew this I wouldn't have upgraded- or I would have made arrangements days ago. It might be like this for weeks- and Purple is NOT helping- all of the sudden it's all my responsibility to do their job and what they advertise. DON'T BELIEVE THEIR FRIENDLY ATTITUDE. it's not what they advertise. They are liars and falsely advertise. They do Not make the return a simple process like they say even if you upgrade and buy another.

Original review: May 15, 2020

The mattress was easy to set up. Barely any movement felt by my partner. Very comfortable. We've had it for about 8 months and haven't had any problems. Even sleeping in the edge it has never collapsed. A completely better sleeping experience than our old spring mattress.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I love our Purple mattress! Definitely on the former side. Only recommend to people who like the feeling of memory foam. The only issue we saw is they offer a warranty but you somehow would have to shove it back into the air sealed bag which doesn’t really seem possible.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I sleep on my side, and on a regular mattress, I have to roll from side to side to relieve hip pain all night long. With the Purple bed, I sleep painless all night. It is the best mattress for me. I will never switch to another mattress company. I also have the Purple pillow. It's great.

Original review: May 12, 2020

The mattress took a little while for my body to adjust, but once it did it’s great. I also got a mattress cover. If you can get sheets free I would highly recommend because regular sheets don’t fit properly, they don’t flex enough. Jersey sheets are the stretchiest I could find that work.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I bought the bed, frame and didn't check the white glove delivery. FedEx dropped my stuff off in the driveway. $3,000 I paid to drag the stuff in the house to have to pay somebody else to set it up. I found out I bought the bed for back sleepers not side sleepers. The bed for side sleepers is also the one for plus size people. The return process is a joke.

Original review: May 10, 2020

We've had the Purple 3 Hybrid mattress for about a month now. I have had shoulder and hip pain for many years. I was very skeptical, however after sleeping on the purple 3 hybrid I can honestly say that sleep great and when I wake up in the morning I feel very well rested.. The only thing I regret is not purchasing the purple 3 sooner!!

Original review: May 9, 2020

I am so so disappointed that I purchased Purple products at such at expensive price, believing that they were good quality products. I have had my bed for about a year and a half. Almost immediately everything started deteriorating. The bamboo sheets had holes in them within days. They replaced them but the new ones fell apart almost as quickly. The mattress started deteriorating in weeks. Unlike the deceptive pictures on the site the grid material does not go to the edge of the bed. Instead there is almost 4-5 inches of foam all the way around the bed on the outside. It takes up quite a bit of the bed and is much less comfortable especially if you sleep towards the edge of the bed. Within a few months there were large divots in the mattress on both sides between the Purple grid and the outside foam material. SUPER UNCOMFORTABLE!

The straw that broke the camel's back for me is their supposedly strong metal frame that's supposed to last 10 plus years has already bent and broken. I feel like I bought a lemon. I have contacted service several times and have heard nothing back after being asked to submit several complicated photos for my claim. Beyond frustrated.

Original review: May 9, 2020

The purple mattress was recommended to us by a friend. My husband and I had been trying to find a good quality mattress that was comfortable for both of us. We had tried pretty much every brand of mattress at several different stores, laying on all of them and couldn't find one that we both liked. We decided to try the Purple Mattress, knowing that we had a one hundred day "trial" and if we weren't happy with it the Company would pick it up and refund our money. We have loved our mattress since the first night we received it, we feel well rested and do not wake up with back aches. We highly recommend this mattress.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Most comfortable mattress ever! Both my husband and I love it. Also love feature of non-allergic material. We bought it from a mattress store and brought it home ourselves so can't rate shipping, etc.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I am satisfied with my mattress and have had a good night's rest since my purchase a year ago. It's a very comfortable mattress and although it is a bit expensive, the quality is worth it. I would recommend this to a friend.

Original review: May 6, 2020

Sleep use to be a luxury for me. I can now truly say that it definitely is sleeping on my Purple Mattress. We all work so hard and life can be so stressful, You are doing yourself a disservice by not purchasing this bed.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Good mattress, I feel relaxed and well rested in the morning. It was easy and fast to order, and the delivery was prompt. Since it comes in a box folded, it is possible to move the mattress from the entrance to the bedroom. The price is affordable as well.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Honestly I was not too impressed with the Purple. We ended up buying another one from Nectar cause the Purple was just too hard to sleep on and I found it very hot. I really wanted to love this mattress cause of the reviews just could not do it.

Original review: May 2, 2020

I've had this mattress for 14 months now. I have not needed to rotate it, but my caveats are that I'm mid 30s, 120 lbs, a side sleeper who sleeps on the edge of bed and not the middle, have no sleeping partner, and only get about 5 hours on top of the mattress over any 24 hour period. So, I haven't really used it as much as the average sleeper. But, like I said, it hasn't needed to be rotated. Firmness works for me. No odor retention. The delivery was super easy although the mattress was heavier than I'd thought it would be and the mattress cover also posed trouble as the mattress was flimsy enough that I could not stand it on its long edge.

Original review: April 30, 2020

This is the first new mattress my husband and I have purchased since we were married in 2001. Our first mattress was the one he already owned prior to our marriage. Over the years, we have both suffered from injuries/illnesses that effect our spines and joints. After a failed back surgery in 2010, I was unable to lay flat in a bed. I also have rheumatoid arthritis which caused me to need a total hip replacement in 2014. Due to complications, I ended up having to have my entire right leg and hip joint amputated. Between the back and the hip issues, until we purchased the new Purple Mattress in 2018, I had been only able to sleep in a recliner, thinking that wound be my only option for the rest of my life. My husband did a lot of research on mattresses and decided to buy a Purple, primarily for himself due to his shoulder and back injuries.

Once it arrived, I laid down on the bed just to try it out. To my complete surprise it was so comfortable and supportive I fell asleep! I have been able to sleep in our bed since we bought the Purple Mattress for the first time in 8 years! My husband also says it allows him to sleep well, comfortably and without added pain to his shoulders and back. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Purple Mattress! The prose is affordable and the comfort and support are amazing!

Purple Mattress Company Information