1.06/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1070 Pottery Barn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

This has to be the worst company in America. Most won't read this until too late (after you've made a purchase). The store manager put my credit through as a cash order on their store and hit me with thousands of dollars of interest on furniture that never shipped. And here's the kicker... When you call them you sit ON HOLD for 20 minutes and then whoever picks up will simply HANG UP ON YOU! I think this company is borderline criminal. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I ordered my daughter a rocker and ottoman on Oct 30 from Pottery Barn Kids. Delivery was supposed to be Jan 6. It's Feb 12 and the baby was born on Jan 16. Still no rocker or ottoman. Every day I call. Every day they say it should be in the next day. Ridiculous and they tell me a supervisor will call me back but they do not!! Terrible customer service for such a big company!!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I placed a successful order on Potterybarn.com in December. On January 9th I was charged for the items and sent a shipping confirmation. It is February 11th and I finally decided to call Customer Service to understand where my order was. I was informed that my order of 20+ items, totaling hundreds of dollars, was voided. That they didn't have ANY of the items anymore and that this NEVER happens. Well it did happen, it took me calling to get notification and get my money back. I was offered absolutely nothing to make things right or entice me to shop again. I have been a very loyal customer to PB but you can guarantee that I will not be going forward. In the days of Amazon poor customer service and inability to deliver will put you under...cheers to that PB!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I will suggest, never buy leather sofa from Pottery Barn. Really bad quality. They sell very expensive. If you don't know about leather, don't buy, and even if you buy in Pottery Barn card, make sure when you get the rewards use fast. They expire in 90 days, most of the companies rewards expire one year. So I have bad experience. I bought lots of furniture, spend lot of money, but all the furniture I have to replace in one hour. Look good but quality is bad, so I will not suggest to furniture. You just throw your money in garbage, so I will never buy again from Pottery Barn.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I ordered a vanity sink and when it was delivered the men did not go over it with me to make sure it was in good condition. So after they left I noticed a mark in the front (that appeared to be a ding one inch long and dark). Very noticeable. So I called customer care to see what we could do and ended up with talking to a guy named Michael. If you schedule anything with a guy named Michael ask to speak to someone else immediately this guy should be fired. So Michael said he could send a Pottery Barn medic out to fix the ding and if they couldn't then it could be replaced easily. So we made an appointment for them to come out and guess what. No one showed up that day. So I called them after waiting an hour and driving 2 hours out of my way and asked what happened.

They said no schedule was made but the guy Michael made a note that we would be home that day. But didn't actually make the appointment or schedule it. So why the heck would an employee tell a customer that they have the appointment scheduled then straight up lie. I've never seen anything like this. So we ended up talking to Candice for an hour resolving this issue and now they are suppose to call me in a week and a half to reschedule a new one to come out. I am very nervous about this next home visit and hope that my product gets delivered in one piece, in good condition and that they actually show up this time.

I will never be shopping at this store again. These customer service representatives are very unprofessional and seem to have no repercussions for lousy customer service and losing customers. Hopefully the product will come in better condition this time. Very worried. Can't believe how long this whole process has taken. This is the last piece in my newly remodeled bathroom that we are all waiting on. Did I mention they are also not hurrying on this order to get it out to us faster.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have had delivery delays and ordered $5000 worth of furniture and been charged over $8000 on their credit card. They cannot reconcile and will be credit my account. I ordered in Sept 2018 $5000. One mix up, there were 2 consoles ordered when I was ordering only 1. Since then customer service has stated 4 have been ordered and that I have one in my home. I returned the one I ordered, they could not find the return when after numerous calls they stated they found the return with another order. None of these extra ones have been delivered and no credits.

Also, back ordered furniture bought on sale was removed from my card, then added back a price over the original sale and over the original price of the pieces of furniture. I ordered 4 baskets. I was told to return them to the store. The store stated twice (I asked twice) that they were giving me a credit on my credit card. After 2 months of calls, the person stated I was not given a credit on my credit card - I was issued a store credit, which I was not. I have worked with dispute, the credit card company, the stores, the online ordering and delivery departments. No one can fix my credit card bill or return my calls. They actually do not have supervisors because none have ever called me back.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

In early December I purchased two drapery panels. They were too long. I requested a return, which was approved. I have an email that states "a refund will be issued". It is now February 5, 2019 and still no refund. I called today and long story short, I will be receiving a gift card, which I don't need and will not use. I told the lady that had I been told (and have documentation) I was going to be given a gift card, I would not have ordered my replacement drapes until I received the card. So, now I am out $249.50. She said she could do nothing, absolutely nothing. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED. WILL NEVER SHOP HERE AGAIN.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I bought over $2,000 in light fixtures online. Soon after they arrived, I noticed they had gone on sale. They were hanging light fixtures and needed to be installed and I was waiting for my electrician. I called Pottery Barn and asked them for a credit to reflect the new price without me having to send them all back and buy them again. You would think logic would prevail but nope. They said they don’t do price correction and I would have to return and re-buy. Well, I’m returning but not re-buying and will never buy anything there again. Absolutely stupid policy that will prove to be the end of them. So happy they’re still in the boxes and ready to go.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

After ordering a couch in November and being told it would take 3 months to deliver, I have since been notified that it will be another 4 months (for a total of 7 months) before delivery. When multiple requests for an explanation went unanswered and over 2 hours on the phone with corporate office, they can still not provide any reason for the delay because they say their manufacturer hasn't responded in over a week. They first stated the only refund could be given in store credit. I also purchased a matching coffee table for the couch, which now will not match because the couch will not be delivered in even close to a timely manner. And this headache cost me thousands of dollars and hours of time.

I won't spend one dollar the rest of my life at this store. Not because of the delay only, but because of the hurdles and denials created by the company in failing to correct the mistake. Unheard of level of poor service for a company of this stature. The simply fact is I contracted with Pottery Barn for a product and their excuse for not delivering on said contract is that the third party they chose to use to manufacture has not responded to them. Buyer beware. If they fail to deliver what you paid for, the burden to recoup your expenses will be on you and legal action will likely need to be threatened by you to receive any response.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I ordered all my nursery furniture from Pottery Barn months ago thinking it would arrive way before the baby, and now I fear the baby will get here before any of my furniture. I have contacted Pottery Barn every day for the past 2 weeks about getting my furniture delivered. The furniture IS NOT backordered, has been sitting in a warehouse and has been charged to my card (over $3,000). Yet, every time I call, they tell me they have issued a ticket for delivery and that someone will call me back within 24 hours.

Every morning I wake up and call them again because no one got back to me the day before and every call goes the exact same way... "I do apologize, however the person who you spoke to yesterday never issued the ticket, I can assure it will go through this time". How does this keep happening over the last 10 calls I've made to you guys? At this point I just wish to cancel my order and find someone else. This is so frustrating, especially since i'll likely be going into labor in the next 2 weeks with no furniture in my nursery!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I’ve been a loyal customer for over 10 years and use the PB cc regularly. The last four experiences have left me dumbfounded. I have a story but to much to list here. BUYER BEWARE, I think PB will not be in business much longer. Rewards program has gone down hill, deceiving company and poor customer service. Use extreme caution when buying or trying to return items,

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I tried to purchase a sleeper sofa and an ottoman. The Washington Square Oregon associate had no knowledge of the products to be able to help. Here is what everything went wrong: Because she ordered mismatched series of the two while I told her what I wanted, she demanded two shipments (because of mismatch) and I had to pay for two shipments. The sofa on back order takes a month longer to get. Without knowing the error, I put the shipping address on the ottoman to my construction company as a temp place where no one will receive because the house they are going into is not built. I got home, looking at the receipt and found the two are different products in a different series. I called within an hour of the purchase and had to get hold of a manager to cancel. She told me that cancellation would be processed the next day. So, that next day became a whole month with promise to get a call to confirm the cancellation.

With that call never came, 3 weeks later, I got a notification that the ottoman is shipped. I called the customer service. He said they would not be able to cancel until it is shipped. And during the last three weeks, I was told in process. Why no one said so back then? At that call, it did get cancelled. I told him that construction company has no one to receive. He said it is all taken care of. The next day, the tracking shows that it is still being shipped. I do not know what will happen to this product after it is shipped. They gave me a credit card for deferred payment. I called and canceled the card on the day of purchase. Guess what? 2 weeks later, I got a new CC!!! Therefore, for the record, this ottoman is going to be shipped to nowhere land, and I will not be responsible to pay for it. The cc hopefully is canceled by now. They can take me to court. I already told them!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

First and last time buying a sofa from this expensive store. Mislead information about delivery time, horrible customer services in the store and on the phone. Nobody knows about the company policies and if you call it may take 1-2 hours to reach the right person. Unfortunately, one of the worst experiences ever.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

In 2018 I purchased a new sectional and leather chair along with pillows, throws, etc. I spent quite a bit of money. I opened a Pottery Barn account when I found out I would receive a 10% back certificate. I then purchased online banquette cushions which didn't fit and were returned. No one told me I then lost the $150 since I paid with a certificate! I was told on the phone if you pay with a certificate and then return an item you lose those rewards! I canceled my card and will never shop at Pottery Barn again. Deceptive program - sneaking in ways to not allow usage of this 10% back program.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Pottery Barn online was out of certain the martini shakers I was looking for… They found a few stores for me out of state that had a few of the items in stock.

After calling several of the stores… Sadly they informed me that company's new policy is not to take credit cards on the phone… If I wanted the merchandise I needed to come in and pick it up. I explained I live 2000 miles away. One of the store managers stated if I purchase online a gift card I could then call back the store and use the gift card. After attempting to make that move I was informed the store would not accept the gift card I purchased online- Pottery Barn is making it very difficult to make purchases on items at local stores might not carry… No wonder more people are switching to Amazon!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Purchased my dream sofa from Pottery Barn. It arrived as scheduled and it appeared to be in perfect condition. Several months later, I removed the pillow covers to wash...advertised as totally washable. As soon as I unzipped the cover, feathers began to fly. The fabric holding the feather part was totally rotted away. So, now when I need to remove the pillow covers to launder, I have to tape my $2,000 couch together. I did call customer service knowing that it had been too long for an adjustment, but thought they should know about the quality of the sofa...absolutely zero interest. I even took pictures and emailed them. "Oops too bad" was the only response.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Unethical, horrible, dishonest, poor quality. 8 months and still trying to get things straightened out. My 800+ credit rating affected negatively. Ordered two leather

chairs. Within 2 weeks canceled order due to the poor customer service I was experiencing on a sectional with a PB defective fabric slipcover I had recently purchased. Cancelled my PB credit card.

Company charged the canceled cc $2500. + for chairs I did not receive. That took months to resolve. 8 months later still getting charged interest for chairs I did not receive. I have spoken to at least 15 people both from PB and The bank they use. Lip service is all I get, still charging my closed cc. Do not order anything from Pottery Barn. The WORST shopping and credit card experience I have ever experience. I wish 60 Minutes would investigate for the world to see what’s really going on with this company.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I ordered four chairs for my kitchen table (they were $100 each so nice chairs). When they arrived two were the wrong color. I figured mistakes happen and called and informed Pottery Barn and they apologized and said they would send two of the correct chairs immediately. When the two new chairs arrived the boxes were pretty beat up, but I ignored that and was just happy I finally had what I ordered a month prior. When I opened these chairs they were not packed at all, so all the pieces being loose had been thrown around and chipped each other pretty badly. On top of that half the screws and bolts were missing, and those that were in the box were sent to me in a ziplock sandwich bag. There also no instructions in the box as well.

After talking to customer service after they had screwed up my order twice they explained all they could do is send me two more chairs and that I needed to again drive to a UPS store to return the wrong chairs. THIS COMPANY HAS HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I figured every one makes mistakes but when it becomes a pattern it just shows how what was once an iconic brand has become a poorly run company that does not care about its customers.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Purchased a school backpack on July 3, 2018 for my high school daughter. She only carries a laptop and 3 notebooks and the backpack is already falling apart, straps are separating from body of backpack. Called Customer Service and spoke to Haley who informed me that they do not have any kind of warranty or stand behind their products because "kids can be really rough on their backpacks." Then she offered to help me purchase another backpack. PB Teen does not provide reviews on their site for just this reason. Customers are not happy with the quality of their products.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I returned several items from several orders by mail. All orders received by Pottery Barn over a month ago. Hours on the phone with customer service and emails. Still no refund. Pottery Barn is a total disgrace.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Updated on 1/14/2019: I was able to email a higher up in the company, and they called me to apologize for the inconvenience. while it was too late to really fix any issue as the sectional was shipped out and is on its way to its distribution facility, the women assured me she would keep in touch and let me know once it arrives. She also let me know that whoever I spoke to before, was wrong in telling me Id be billed once the item is delivered. The correction would be billed once it "ships". Which it technically has shipped and is on its way to the distribution facility. She also emailed her contact info so that I can reach her. So I've bumped my review up to 3 stars. will update again once I receive word on the sectional.

Original Review: November 12th - Ordered Custom Square arm PB AIR Sectional. Received Window of December 29th-January 11th for delivery. January 10th rolls around, no word on the couch. So I log into the account to check status, and there's a new window for delivery of January 19th- February 1st. No email or phone call to even let me know. I was promised this would be delivered on time, needed for an event I was hosting. Literally had my guests on folding chairs. Gee thanks PB.

I called PB once I found out about the window change, and there was "nothing they can do", couldn't even tell me where the sectional was. The girl on the phone had an attitude and didn't want to help and couldn't give any information. I pushed just to get a refund on shipping due to this matter. They said that was the "logistics department" and they have no way of contacting them. Few days later and I check my credit card, and I WAS CHARGED FOR THE SECTIONAL. WTF! Because apparently they "Don't charge until it's been delivered". I was seriously hoping these reviews wouldn't be for everyone. Especially because my item was custom and I hadn't seen a lot of reviews on a sectional. WELL PEOPLE, BELIEVE THESE REVIEWS!!! I will update after I call today to complain about the charge, and see if they can tell me where it is and when it's coming.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Bought a sofa from the Walnut Creek, CA store, the store would not let me take it from the floor for another week so they "don't have an empty spot" as if they did not have enough clutter already to fill the spot. The next day, I told them I wanted to exchange the sofa that was still in their store with another one and they would not let me because my husband absolutely hated the look and how deep and uncomfortable the sectional was. They said no way! I am stuck with a $2000.00 sofa that I hate. They sold me a stained sofa and I could not take the stain off even though it was supposed to be Sunbrella fabric! Terrible service and product! Even one of their own employees said she hated that sofa and yet would not let us exchange it while still on their floor and only 24 hours later. Majority of reviews of this outlet are negative. A bunch of older ladies trying to make a quick sale with no customer support...

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We were remodeling my daughter's bedroom and upgrading her bedroom furniture. We ordered a "custom" upholstered bed with storage drawers that cost more than the remodel itself, upwards of $4000. We waited 3 months for the bed and when it finally arrived one of four drawers was broken. We did not receive the drawer for over 6 months and only after at least 15 phone calls. I think they were hoping that we would forget it and settle for the drawer that could not be used. I was constantly assured that it was on its way and I would receive a credit of some sort for our inconvenience. However it never happened. I have had difficulties with Pottery Barn in the past but nothing like this. Most of the staff was rude and acted like it was a huge inconvenience for them. Only professionals were the delivery guys who apologized up and down. Done with Pottery Barn.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Over a period of 8 months, items ordered did not arrive, wrong items were shipped, back-orders were never filled until items were discontinued, "Rewards" became punishments. When trying to use the reward credits due me, and for which I had documents in hand, I purchased a few small items all within the amount of credits; i.e. I incurred no debt balance. PB charges your PB account for the items, and refuses to post credits until after the items arrive. Credits, according to their ill-conceived program, are posted at that time.

This, of course, never happens. I am now in my fourth month of trying to get credits due me, posted!!! The Comenity Bank keeps calling me from their collections department, which is an embarrassment and an insult! At this point, it is harassment. I owe nothing, by the admission of both sides, but neither group of incompetents can seem to correct the problem. NEVER BUY FROM PB, AND NEVER, NEVER, NEVER OPEN A CREDIT ACCOUNT WITH THEM.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

In the past, I have usually had a good experience with PB. So when I placed an order for a round, wooden dog bed, I was confident in the purchase. I was WRONG. This was one of the worst furniture buying experiences I have had. When I placed the order, I was given a delivery date of one month from the purchase. One month passed and zero contact. I called and was told they have to reach out to the manufacturer. When no call/email/text was placed to let me know what I should expect, I called again. I was told the same thing and received no follow up once more. Over the next 4 months I placed 10 different calls with the same result. Some of the calls were patched through to managers who provided no further insight.

Finally, I called to cancel the order. The manager told me it was slated to be sent out the following day. She said she would keep on top of it personally. Two weeks pass with no delivery, no contact, and no way to reach the manager directly. One last call revealed that had cancelled the order without my consent. The quality of care I received from their customer service agents ranged from helpless sympathy to complete apathy. One thing they all had in common though was the connection - so much static I could barely hear, much less understand what they were trying to say. And there were many dropped connections to boot! I no longer trust this company and will never shop here again. It is clear that they have absolutely no interest in their customers.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Sadly, I have been caught twice by Pottery Barn. First time cushions (pillows) arrived with threads pulled so I returned them. Rude staff member on end of phone was not at all interested and just went through the motions. It took two months for the goods to be collected and another month for a refund to be processed. Not sure how it operates in the States but here we cannot take back to the store, the goods must be collected by their nominated courier. I don't think this is within Australian consumer law.

This time I went to the store and thoroughly checked out a quilt even taking it to the daylight to ensure it was exactly what I wanted. No stock in the store of the size I wanted so ordered online. When it arrived the color was off. Why was I not surprised it was not the same as I saw in store? So, I rang the number for a refund reference. This time I got straight through and the staff member was pleasant. Quilt was collected within 5 days however I am now waiting for the past month for the refund. No response to emails or Facebook post and store will not assist. A product review site here has them one of the lowest ranked companies in Australia. I think they are Scammers! Never, ever again will I buy anything from PB or its affiliated companies.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I ordered a dining table in November 2018. They invoiced me and took full payment a couple days later. I have been calling almost every week since then to get a status on the delivery. Just yesterday, January 5, I was finally told the table top was lost and needed to be reordered. I won't be receiving the table until mid February. This is extremely disappointing. Not only have I called multiple times and have not been able to get any answers to my questions but I have never been contacted by a supervisor as promised and worst of all I HAVE PAID FOR THIS TABLE IN FULL! I will never purchase anything from this company or any subsidiary company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I ordered a custom Pottery Barn Kids glider in Oct 2018 and it was promised to be shipped by mid Dec 2018. By Late Dec, I received no notification on what happened to the order and called customer service from Pottery Barn Kids. I called three times before reaching a senior customer representative lead who promised to inquire and call me back after 2 days (Courtney **) but after another week, no response. I wrote an email to cancel the order & will likely need to change my credit card to avoid the charge whenever the glider appears. The order is over 3 weeks late and worse I have gotten no answers from customer service on what the status of the order is.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I ordered the Hart Buffet in August. The website said 10 weeks for delivery. The confirmation email had 12 weeks as the delivery date. A second email came at 12 weeks saying there was a delay and it would be another two months for delivery. Two months later, and customer service claimed the item was at the delivery service. But no, they claim they did not have it. Another 3 weeks and finally the delivery service says they have the item, but can't deliver it for another week and a half. I've called multiple times, been on hold for hours, and find the whole process has sucked any fun out of furnishing my new home that I might have once had. I wish I'd never set foot in Pottery Barn. 6 months from ordering, and I still don't have a piece of furniture. Completely unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I wanted to order the Aura frame. They had the one I wanted. Touched base with them prior to 12/3/2018 to make sure it would come before 12/25. Confirmed. I called 12/8 to inquire. Confirmed. I had surgery 12/20. Emailed them and no response. Called prior to Christmas and they said it would arrive by 12/28. I emailed 12/28 with no response. I called on 12/30 and spoke to a supervisor who said the same thing that a vendor is not responding to their inquiries. She said she would investigate. I called 1/02/2019 to inquire. Same story. So I canceled the order. But I would seriously reconsider any purchase with them that involves their call center or a vendor. Their employees were nice though. Not helpful. But nice. The frames retail for $299.00. They are still on their site for sale with 1 to 3 week shipping.

Pottery Barn Company Information