1.12/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

975 Pottery Barn Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

You would think a company like Pottery Barn would be embarrassed with the poor quality furniture they send out of their factories. I purchased a sectional and received it in February of 2018. In less than 6 months I noticed the cushions were sagging terribly and there is no possible way to fluff them and make it look presentable! I’ve tried unzipping the cushions and pulling out the cheap insert and trying to rearrange the batting, but there isn’t even a zipper insert to the inner cushion to allow me to do so. And really, for the amount of money we paid for the sectional, we shouldn’t have to worry about this to begin with.

I guess I’ll just chalk this up to a lesson learned and make a smarter purchase next time. Furniture should last for years at this price, especially from a “reputable” company like PB. LESSON LEARNED. I’ll never buy furniture from PB again, and will strongly discourage my friends from doing so. Of course, when my friends come over and actually see the sectional, that’ll be enough to convince them to never buy from PB.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I bought a sectional 4 years ago. I started complaining about 6 months later that the fabric was pilling and not wearing well. 1st call I was told I would have to buy a new slipcover and they might be able to give me a 10% discount. It was a new fabric for them and I found out within a year they discontinued it. I continued calling and never got any help! I have 6 pages of notes in all the phone calls. I would never recommend Pottery Barn slipcovered furniture to anyone. They do not stand behind their product!!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I ordered cushions over 2 months ago and after sending me the wrong cushions two times in a row and assuring me they were the right ones I still have no cushions. I was overcharged 2 times and had to go through community to get the money back instead of an exchange. Then after 8 customer service representatives and 2 managers (who couldn't call me back when they say 24 hours and it's been 3 weeks for both of them) later I still have no order for my cushions, have been overcharged and no one will rectify the situation. I have written and called customer service and spent endless energy on this. I am now writing the FTC because I have no other option but to complain of their horrible service. I will never purchase anything from them again.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Wow... I thought my terrible experience with PB in the last few months was just a streak of terrible luck. I wish I'd read all of these reviews before. They are 100% spot on with my experience. You literally have to call them, over, and over, and over and BEG them to actually process and send your order. I've literally lost count of the number of times I've called them. The story the customer service reps tell you will change. They'll say they will look into it and call you back, and never will (this happened to me 3 times). It's unlike anything I've ever seen. They also offered a refund on shipping and handling and said it would be issued once the items were delivered. You think that happened? Of course not. Had to call and nag AGAIN to get them to honor their one decent gesture. PB has legitimately become a crooked company. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have been a customer for many years until now. I purchased the Mendocino bed (order #**) which was due to arrive around mid-July. During July I had to go out of town to care for my dying mother. I think right around the 6th of July I received an email giving me a head up that my bed was shipped and should be arriving at the delivery hub, and they would contact me for delivery.

I did not ever hear from anyone again. After my mother died, and I returned home I call CS @ PB who told me the bed was delivered and they would contact delivery for update - I never heard back. This began my journey of calling CS 2-3 a week, explaining the same story… them apologizing, saying someone would get it figured out and call me back. NEVER HAPPENED. I tracked the delivery and noticed the delivery hub received a part of the bed weighing 20 pounds, so that could not be my bed. Turned out it was only the rails, CS would get in touch with the vendor and call me back - NEVER HAPPENED. Daily calls followed, my complaints were escalated to a supervisor, who would call me back, NEVER HAPPENED. BY THE WAY - YOU DIDN’T FORGET TO CHARGE ME FOR THE BED.

Here I am in mid-October, no one has ever dealt with my issues. I have paid off my credit card with PB, Wm, Sonoma. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER ITEM FROM YOUR COMPANIES AND WILL TELL ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN TO ME WHAT AWFUL CS, TREATMENT I RECEIVED. I looked at your Facebook comments and it does not appear I am alone in this treatment. It also doesn’t look like corporate even addresses the many concerns on Facebook. Very disappointed that there is no longer CS in business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

We ordered a couch in July. I have called several times to check on it. Yesterday (10/16/18) I spoke with a person that said, “Oh my it has been a long time. I’m going to waive the shipping fee.” Not more than an hour later I get a call from another person that said the fabric has been discontinued. I try to call back got a voice mail, left a message with no Callback. Called Pottery Barn said, “I wanted a manager,” was told they can’t do that. Well after a total of first person 20 minutes hold second 25 minutes I spoke with a manager. She was very sorry. Really! I have been a customer of Pottery Barn for years. But while on hold I googled reviews about them. Wish I would have done that sooner.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Every time I go into a Pottery Barn store or call about a problem it takes an extremely long time for anyone to help me. I have shopped here a lot and spend a lot of money so I decided to sign up for a credit card to earn rewards. My rewards, which I clearly earned, were expired by a day and the lady at the store told me to call the customer service number to get them reissued, so I did. I was then told by them that once they expire there is nothing they can do??? Ridiculous! I clearly earned my rewards! Overpriced and poor customer service!!! Other stores would be happy to help, NOT POTTERY BARN! Won’t be shopping here anymore!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

The level of disappointment and lack of customer service I have experienced with my recent Pottery Barn furniture purchase is beyond words. My sofa we ordered in July is now more than 2 weeks late for delivery and has just been pushed out another 10 days. After more than 10 contacts with their customer service team, every person I speak to has a different story. And they all transfer me to another department that conveniently disconnects my call after I wait on hold for up to an hour each time. Even with callbacks, speaking to multiple supervisors, and attempts to find someone that will actually help - nothing.

I am hosting 40 people in 3 days and don't have the appropriate seating, yet started this process over 3 months ago. I have NEVER experienced such appalling customer service and cannot believe I ever invested the amount of money I did with this company. It won't happen again, I'll make sure everyone I know hears of this awful experience, and as an interior designer by trade, I'll also make sure my clientele is aware of the way Pottery Barn does business.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Once you place an order, pray! My simple bookshelf order has been a debacle from start to finish. Wrong item were received, couldn’t get them returned and always given wrong and conflicting info every time I have to call and follow up.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I have been to Pottery Barn in 1 city about a trunk coffee table. So I came home and called the one nearest me and told the girl the item number and asked about availability. After being placed on hold for 10 minutes, she came back and said, "Let me get your number and call you back." Of course that never happened. Next day I drove 45 minutes to get to the nearest one to find out they have to order one. They cannot be bought in the store. Then it would take 7-8 weeks to get it in the store AND I would have to pay a $25 shipping charge for them to ship to their own store! Or I could get it in less time having it shipped to my home for $200! This is an outrage and I’m so disappointed because I wanted it but will not make the purchase on principle!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Never again. I ordered the Stratton storage bed with drawers and the matching dresser. It took over 3 months to get my furniture. The delivery men didn't attach the headboard to the bed even though the brackets were sitting right there (side note: received 8 brackets for one headboard, wth). I called and after 30 mins on hold, was told they would have to come back out to reassemble the furniture. I was also told they would take the extra brackets with them if they don't need them. 3 days later I still have not heard from the company as to when they will be back out to attach the headboard. I wish I would have read the reviews before ordering. I will never order from them again, although I feel lucky enough to have received my furniture as it seems some do not!

I will reassemble the bed/headboard myself as I am sure I can do a better job than the delivery guys, who were a little scary, by the way. I will take the extra brackets to the store and hopefully get my money back, but I'm not holding my breath. Every time I contact customer service I feel like it's some random person sitting on a couch in their house and they have no clue what's going on. I was told several times to keep all the brackets as no one could tell me how many are needed to attach the headboard. Looking at the instructions it looks like just 2 are needed. I'm done dealing with them.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Do not shop at Pottery Barn. They will take your money and hold it. You will never receive your furniture or rugs unless you call, nag, threaten and yell at them. The store level agents are very sweet but once you place your order you're cooked! As an example I placed an order for a rug six weeks ago and it was supposed to be delivered within two or three. No one can find it. I bought an expensive leather Tyler recliner chair for about $2000 that is MIA and it has been almost 3 months. Scammers!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

The Pottery Barn website placed a duplicate order for a $500 wedding registry item. I received the emails and called customer service with 5 minutes to cancel. Talked with multiple customer service reps to try to resolve. The answer was consistent. We can't stop the order. The bride will have to return the products herself and then you'll get your money back. So I am out $500 dollars, and the busy bride has to be contacted and asked to return the duplicate gift. All this when the company was notified within 5 minutes that they had a website problem. In addition to multiple follow up emails and calls in the first 24 hours after the order was placed! WHAT A SCAM!!! Do not use them for a wedding registry. Avoid Pottery Barn at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Last December I ordered a custom loveseat sleeper. It was to be delivered mid to end of February. Started Calling in March then after numerous calls with no positive results realized by end of March sleeper loveseat was "Missing in Action." I had company coming so I picked up a not so great loveseat sleeper locally and canceled this order with a customer service representative. The rep was nice and offered me a 25% discount on the next purchase of my choice. Fast forward to this week - again I decided to try Pottery Barn & on Sunday ordered a medicine cabinet for the bath on my new home.

Because I had a contractor there on Tuesday I paid an extra $27.00 for overnight shipping - the shipment should have left Pottery Barn on Monday 10-8-18 and arrived Tuesday 10-9-18. It didn't. Today 10-10-18 I got an email message that on 10-9-18 a label was created and I would get notice when it reached the terminal. So far it appears the shipment has not yet left Pottery Barn as it has not been logged in at any terminal. Now - at the very soonest - our shipment might show up on Thursday. Two days after the contractor was there. Maybe this too will end up Missing in Action like the loveseat. Pottery Barn used to be good - not anymore.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Two times in a row, my $75 rewards certificate was not deducted on my billing statement. The first time I called when I got my first bill for a medicine cabinet. The person told me she would put it through. I deducted the $75 from my bill and sent the entire balance. Then I get another statement that says I owe $75! So I call again. She gave me the certificate number as a “courtesy”. I then bought a robe, used the reward, took a screenshot of the transaction and guess what? It wasn’t reflected on my statement!! Anyone else have this happen?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My wife and I ordered over $9,000 in Indio outdoor furniture and nearly every piece is peeling. What's even more unusual is that the exposed surface is not wood but rather a white plastic material which leads me to believe that the products are not meant for outdoor, or that the finish is really a cheap paint. The chipped off pieces of finish have found their way into the yard, pool, and even our clothes. I've called Pottery Barn on 3 separate occasions about this issue and each time I've been told that someone would reach out to set up a time to look at and remedy the issue. However I have yet to receive an email, phone call, or text.

What's worse is that the Pottery Barn reward that we were supposed to see on our Pottery Barn Credit Card account never showed up and there is no way to get the Comenity team to research the issue. The overall experience makes me feel like we have been sold cheap quality furniture and then asked to pay interest on products and delivery that we can't use. I would appreciate someone from Pottery Barn reaching out to assist with the issue before further action is taken.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I ordered the Stratton storage headboard, platform bed and bedside towers on July 21. After waiting almost 3 months for delivery, they delivered the headboard and platform bed... but no bedside storage towers and no brackets to attach the headboard to the bed. I called customer service to find out what was going on with the missing pieces and after being on hold over an hour was told there was an error with the website and "So sad, too bad, the price you paid did not include the bedside towers so we aren't sending them to you. Your order is complete."

I have a receipt and order confirmation showing that I bought the bedside towers - they don't care. Said it was a website error and under the terms and conditions they can correct the error - even after delivery!!!! I am stunned. Literally cannot believe this. Oh and to top it off, the website is still the same. If it is an error, it's been wrong since at least July 21 through today, October 7, 2018. That's no error. That's a bait and switch. Disputing this with my credit card company.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I ordered 2 chandeliers from Pottery Barn about a week ago and I get an email yesterday stating that my items have been canceled, my money will be returned, and, "Here. Have a 20% coupon," (You can almost always get a 20% coupon from this site and this one, like the others, doesn’t stack with anything). The items are still on their website so they still have them. The price however has gone up. All I wanted was the items I ordered for the price that was agreed upon at checkout. This company did not honor that price and after 3 failed attempts through customer service I’m posting here and elsewhere. Know that they can and will take your items away from you apparently if they want.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I purchased furniture to furnish my entire house. Having it delivered has truly been a nightmare. They have outsourced their delivery service which seems to be the cause of all of my issues. The fact the same issues have occurred over multiple times, and not one fluke delivery tells me there is a huge problem. Rather than having you feel the frustration I have experienced by giving you all of the details, I want you to know that I would NEVER ORDER ANOTHER PIECE OF FURNITURE FROM THIS BUSINESS!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My wife and I just moved into our first home and we're excited to buy a really nice couch, so we decided on Pottery Barn. On July 10th I ordered a $4,000 couch. We understood that it would take 3 months to be delivered as the expected delivery date was communicated via email. Ok that is fair as Pottery Barn needed time to make couch. So we patiently waited in our couchless home for 3 months. On September 19, we finally received an email and was documented in PBs online tracking that the couch had been shipped from vendor facility and then “received” in New Jersey. Excitement for our new long waited couch! We were prompted via email to schedule a white glove delivery, so we chose Friday September 28. On September 27, the couch was again checked in and shown as “received” according to their online tracking.

On Friday morning I got the phone call (Which seems like the same call the other 952 claims this year on this site have had...getting to be a trend vs a random occurrence). They said they can't find the couch. Need to do top search for 24-48 hrs. SIX days later they call back and said they can’t find couch. And will order another, which will take 3 more months to deliver. At that point I stopped. I can’t support a business like this. Insane. It almost felt like this was their business model to “randomly lose furniture” and offer discounts. Customers should determine your success and here they failed.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have called the customer service number about three times today being on hold for at least 20 minutes each time. I then proceeded to email the company. I still have not heard back. I haven't even stated my question, I’m trying to resolve. I can’t even get through to customer service in order to even ask a question.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I am upset with Pottery Barn's customer service and the furniture department after multiple attempts to figure out where my non-refundable, non-returnable kitchen table is because it’s been lost in the system and no one at Pottery Barn can give me an answer. I’ve even been hung up on by PB reps after holding 55 minutes! I ordered a table two months ago that was supposed to be delivered two weeks ago and no one can give me an answer as to where it is and when it will be delivered. At this point I would like a refund so I can go to a more professionally responsive company. I haven’t had a kitchen table for weeks now. I sent a email two weeks ago. No response. I called twice last week. No callbacks as promised. Today I was tossed around and put on hold for 55 long minutes waiting for an answer only to be mysteriously disconnected. I have ordered a lot over the years, but never again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I purchased a rug, couch, and leather chair from local PB store and paid with a debit card. I was told my account would be charged when the items were delivered. WRONG! Items were scheduled for 6-8 weeks out. Both were delayed with no explanation. Expected delivery date came and went with no contact. Weeks later I noticed $$ deducted from my checking acct by Pottery Barn with no notice. I called the store, asking if the items were going to be delivered. Manager in store couldn't determine where the items were, claimed the warehouse should have called me, and said she would investigate & call back w/ info. She didn't.

Same story with second inquiry. I was told that PB "couldn't call all their customers or they'd be on the phone all day." At this point I have paid for the items in full, the store does not know where the items are, and they claim "the warehouse handles things from here," but won't give me contact info. Will be "going corporate" on this. Inexcusable given their advertising and promotions. They're operating like a third class shyster outfit. Definitely will not be doing business with them again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We purchased a chair and ottoman on July 15, 2018. Originally, when we made the purchase the projected delivery date we received for the chair was the end of July. Great! Then we received an update that the projected delivery date was September 28th. Huh? Why the dramatic change? Customer service had no idea why this occurred. We decided to be patient and assumed good furniture takes time. I called in mid September just to be sure there weren’t any changes. There weren’t. The customer service rep explained to me that our chair had actually been complete for a few weeks and couldn’t explain the holdup. As we were close to the anticipated delivery I let it go. Then, our anticipated date comes and goes.

I call on October 1 to ask why. The customer service rep isn’t sure why the pieces haven’t left the vendor. They aren’t even at the distribution center to be delivered. The rep said they’d send an email to the vendor. I asked if someone would be contacting me soon with a resolution. They said we should know by the end of the week? Really? A week to track down a chair? What kind of antiquated systems are they using? It’s 2018 and you can’t keep track of an order you’re charging thousands of dollars for and a few hundred to deliver? I read through the other reviews on here and realized we aren’t alone. This is the last time I will ever order from Pottery Barn or a Williams-Sonoma company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

When I moved to my new home 2 years ago I ordered a large amount of outdoor furniture including 6 chaise lounges with cushions, 3 side tables, dining table with 8 chairs and cushions, sectional couch and coffee table. The furniture was back ordered and we did not receive until late August and September so really did not have it for the summer. In about October the furniture was shrink wrapped to protect from the snow and when we opened it up in the spring most of it was peeling. I filed a claim to PB and so did my decorator who ordered it for me and NO ONE ever took care of the situations. I finally tweeted about my experience and someone got back to me right away and arranged for all of the wood furniture that was damaged to be replaced.

I received the new furniture this spring and by mid summer MANY of the new pieces were peeling again! My decorator filed a claim well over a month ago and we keep checking in with them and no one can give us an answer! AND to try to get this done in a fair way I even offered to take a credit rather than a refund because I thought that might be easier to get. This company has TERRIBLE customer service and TERRIBLE quality product. It is incredibly frustrating to get an answer with them and I am stuck with expensive outdoor furniture that is peeling everywhere! I must have spent about 13k with them for outdoor furniture and at least 8k worth is damaged.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I made an big order for lights because website was advertising really good sales price. When I was ready to place the order it didn’t allow me to do it. On next day I went to the store with my iPad to show them the shopping cart and they gave me higher price because the system had a glitch. I was mad for all this time spending around this order and at the end I received just a sorry.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

First of all, their online system is the worst. I placed an online order and went through the steps, order, shipment, payment, review, confirmation. I went through all the steps, hit place order, and got nothing. It sent me back to the homepage without anything, no thanks for your order, no confirmation number, nothing. A glitch!! So, I thought it didn’t go through. So I did it again, and nothing!! I immediately called Pottery Barn but they said they can’t help me because I have no confirmation number. (Yes, that’s the problem). The rep said the system may not generate it for a few hours, that’s great but they should state that when placing an order! So I called my credit card company and they said it did go through twice 5 min apart.

Next morning I received 2 confirmations. I called back PB customer service and they assured me that they would cancel one order but they cannot send me any type of email confirmation because their system is so flawed it cannot generate it. So I have only their word. The day after that I get 2 more shipping emails!!! I call PB back again and they say the notes on their side say it is cancelled! They assured me. Today, I received the 2 items dropped at my door!! So their word and system stink. Even the representatives admit the system is terrible. I call again today to explain and also complain because my price included a flat rate for delivery $129 and set up of furniture. They messed that up too. They sent it UPS!! Today, I got only their word again.

No email confirmation for canceling, no email on refund or for incorrect delivery and set up. I’m so upset because if I ordered from anywhere else, like Wayfair or Overstock, there wouldn’t be a problem because their customer service is top notch! Pottery Barn is seriously the worst. I wish I never even started with them. I could have never imagined in this day and age their computer system could be so horrible! How can they not be able to email and confirm status!!! It’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s straight out of the '80s! Never again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Ordered bed on 5/30. Was suppose to come in around 9/1. It is now 9/27 and no bed. Called 8 times to the customer service line and no one was helpful. Was told they would look into it and email me - never happened. They tell you anything just to get you off the phone. Mostly it is on its way - wrong. One person said she was going to refund me the shipping because of the inconvenience. That was 2 weeks ago - never saw it. I then called the corporate number. This always directed me to someone in Europe! One person told me we were contacted to schedule delivery and that it was at the Hub waiting for scheduling. This was a lie. When I told him this was wrong he quickly transferred me to someone else. NEVER, NEVER buy from Pottery Barn!! We purchased baby furniture from Wayfair. The best customer service ever. They constantly email you and are the best.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

On Sept 8th I ordered an area rug, a writers desk, and a custom couch from the store in Warwick RI. The area rug arrived as expected. The estimated delivery for the Writers Desk was Sept 17th to Sept 21st. The estimated delivery for the couch was November 1st. On Sept 19th I logged in to track my order, only to find the estimated delivery date for the writer's desk has been changed to "in process". I emailed through this website to inquire what that meant and received no response. I waited 3 days, emailed again, no response. I waited 1 day, emailed again, no response. Zero response until I decided to call the Warwick store today to find out what happened to my desk order.

Debbie at the Warwick store who was VERY helpful indicated to me that because the couch delivery date had been moved up by a week or so, they are holding my desk in the warehouse in New Jersey so that they may be shipped at the same time. While I find this unacceptable as the delivery date for the desk was being held for a custom item that was weeks away from arriving, I find it more disturbing that I have sent now 3 emails through the website and received NO response until I took the initiative to call the store and get the full story.

This customer service experience has been one of the worst I have ever experienced. This was my first time using Pottery Barn and will be my last time and I will review and rate my experience appropriately across all mediums. I have asked for a refund to the desk order and may do the same for the couch now that I have gone through this. I do not appreciate that the website says someone will contact me within one business day and no one reached out after repeated attempts to obtain this information.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I wanted to buy the NBA Jersey Robe which is listed online as "personalization included" and says you will add the team once you add the robe to your cart. I did as instructed and was then charged another $9.50 for the team logo. So I called customer service to see why I was being charged for personalization when "personalization" was "included". It was explained to me there was a fee for adding personalization. I asked why the description of the robe said "personalization included" then if I really had to pay for it? They acknowledged it was a bit misleading but there was nothing they could do about it. So I said, "What you're really selling is a Jersey Robe and one can pay $9.50 more to personalize it with an NBA team logo." Considering the robe is already $89, I passed on the purchase. Pottery Barn Teen took a huge hit in my book with this one! Beware consumers, Beware!!!

Pottery Barn Company Information