3.02/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Pottery Barn

Looking for a good furniture store?

1140 Pottery Barn Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 23, 2019

I ordered two rugs on-line and they were delivered quickly. A week later, the rugs were on sale and I called customer service to ask for a price adjustment. The customer representative informed me that Pottery Barn does not do price adjustments.....really? I told her my rugs were just delivered yesterday and they are still in the packages so I could return them and buy two new ones for the lower price. She said that's what I would need to do in order to get the lower price. That policy is so ridiculous.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I bought a bed for my 2 year-old. It was not going to be delivered for several months so I cancelled the order. The customer service rep told me she was cancelling the order. Flash forward 3 months later and Pottery Barn Kids charged my credit card over $400. I called customer service again. They refunded the tax to my credit card but told me I would receive a check for the remainder. They send a gift card instead. I called customer service yet again. They told me that they would cancel the gift card and to wait 7-10 business days for the refund to post on my account. That never happened. After multiple calls, I was told that Pottery Barn Kids has no way to refund my money FOR A BED THAT WAS NEVER DELIVERED and that I have to live with a $400 gift card. For a store that I will NEVER again patronize. I had to call customer service 10 different times and was given the run-around. I just want my money back! This is unacceptable.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Long story short, 5 weeks later furniture is nowhere to be found. They can’t locate it and Pottery Barn offers no solutions. I guess since they got their money they aren’t concerned. Horrible customer service, and I’d go as far as to say fraudulent. Will never place large order again with this mega store with no customer service!

Original review: June 17, 2019

I have to say up front, buying from Pottery Barn is the worst high end furniture buying experience I've ever had. In January we ordered a custom couch and we were told that it would take a while since it was custom made. That was fine with us given our desire for custom features. Where the issue comes in is that we were told it would arrive some time in mid May. Again, that's a long time to wait but those were the expectations set and we agreed to those expectations. Well, here we are in mid June as I write this review and still no couch. The frustrating piece is trying to get Customer Service to tell us when we can expect it and we can't get a clear answer. You'd think this was a low end furniture shop with their lack of transparency on when the furniture will arrive. We are simply told "it's in transit and could be here in a week to two weeks." We've called customer service at least 5 times through this terrible ordeal and never get a clear answer.

At least up to this point I hadn't paid for the couch but today they hit my credit card for the full amount which triggered me calling them again to get an answer on when we could expect the couch. Guess what? The same runaround we've been getting only this time they said "no refunds even if I canceled the order" and they still can tell me where my couch is. How crazy is this? Buyers stay as far away from Pottery Barn and custom furniture as you can. This has been a terrible experience for a very expensive piece of furniture. I'll never buy from Pottery Barn again after this experience.

Original review: June 13, 2019

BEWARE THE DREADED "BACKORDER". I bought a dresser/changing table for my baby from Pottery Barn Kids. I put the order in over 8 months ago. When I purchased the dresser, they said that it would take 2 months to fulfill the order. That was perfect because it synced up with the time my son would be born. As soon as the two months was up, I did not receive my dresser, I look at the status of my order and it turns out it is pushed back 2 more weeks. Fine. 2 weeks later it’s pushed back another month. Okay. The month rolls by and it says another two week. This cycle goes on over the next 8 months and still no table!

I gave them a call 5 weeks ago (7 months later) to figure out where my dresser is and what is the holdup. The woman tells me that they are waiting for the manufacturer to fulfill the order and as soon as it’s done they will ship it out. If they can't fulfill the order because they don't have the product, I would call that SOLD OUT. Don't just take my money, give me numerous dates of delivery, and keep pushing it back, and just call that a "backorder". You don't have it. It’s sold out. Apparently they're waiting for Jesus himself to rise back up and make this freaking dresser.

When I confronted customer service, she said she would send me emails regarding my order, when there is movement, and notes about our call and all this other great stuff. I haven't received one thing. Honestly one of the absolute worst companies I've ever had to deal with. If you don't have a product, CALL IT SOLD OUT! Don't just steal your customers money and not deliver, then blame it on the manufacturer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?

Original review: June 8, 2019

Item #1: The Channing Persian Rug contains a latex bonding agent which activated my allergies and required me to take it up after a short time. Now I know that this has happened with other people as well--check out "The Rug Chick" online. The tufts of wool, additionally, were being pulled out by simple daily wear after a couple of weeks. It was nearly impossible to vacuum dog hair off the rug--it seemed to be embraced by the rug!! I spent $700 plus on this rug---all for nothing. I am so very relieved to be back to the rug-less wood floor!

Item #2: Their leather couch back bolster pillows do not have a leather backing, but a material backing instead. This was not disclosed to me at the time of purchase on the phone. Cheap and deceptive. I spent long periods of time on the phone with customer service--very, very poor. Long quiet waiting periods, hand-offs to another agent, no knowledge, no answers. Thus ends my purchasing time with Pottery Barn. You are not getting what you see and imagine from the online picture!! BEWARE!!!

Original review: June 4, 2019

On March 30, I purchased 3 items. Large Mateo Desk, SoMa Lyndon Upholstered Armchair, and a desk chair from PB Teen. After placing my order my desk chair order was cancelled without any kind of notice and no reason given. I only found out when I noticed the charge didn’t process and I went to look for the status of my order. All it said was “cancelled” — not very professional to not reach out to your consumer and let them know what’s going on with their order. Also after placing my order I found out that my large Mateo desk was back ordered with an estimate in stock of mid-May (not a problem but would’ve been nice to know BEFORE I placed my order) — again, it’s not very professional — kind of sneaky. The upholstered chair was also a mid-May estimate which I DID know upfront since it was a custom order.

I spoke to customer service twice regarding the status of my order. Both times I was able to reach someone fairly painlessly and fairly timely. (I’m a decent judge— I’m an office manager and spend half my life being put on ignore by customer service.) My desk due to be in stock mid-May suddenly showed early June. So I wanted to speak to someone about it. And then my armchair kind of fell off the status map and I wasn’t sure exactly where it was in the shipment process.

My desk actually arrived around May 22 via FedEx. My armchair arrived to a local shipping company the last week in May. The shipping company (Faith Moving) was easy to work with as far as setting up a drop date and time (3 hr window and they arrived about an hour into the window). Both pieces arrived in good condition. The desk has a small rub out of the stain.

The cost of the desk was $474. The cost of the armchair was $284. Shipping was $246.40???? Tax was almost $82.87. Grand total was $1087.27. I bought these pieces without seeing them in person. Pottery Barn does not let customers review their products anywhere so I was going strictly off website descriptions. If I had to do this again, I would choose another company. The cost is not worth the product, especially in light of the delay, random cancellation, and lack of communication.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Purchased this sofa online, but before purchasing, I visited the St. Paul, MN store with questions about the fabric. I received a swatch of the Brushed Canvas Walnut, 100% cotton, and asked a few questions about the sofa and fabric. The swatch indicates "do not spot clean" and "consult with a professional upholstery cleaner."

After having the sofa for about a month, I had a small drop of water which left a stain. Called store for advice & was informed that cotton collects stains easily. So, prior to purchase, why wasn't I informed of this & why isn't it stated on the back of the fabric sample? I was told I should have talked with an interior decorator for advice on fabrics. Another major problem with the sofa is that the seat cushions are not for turning over (the fabric doesn't cover the cushions completely). Of course, online under "care & maintenance," customers are advised to "rotate cushions." I'm very disappointed with PB's service & lack of truth about its products.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Absolutely horrible customer service. They are focused on locking down the sale and taking your $$, but you will NOT get any meaningful help or assistance with your order if you call them. The $239 (holy crap thats HIGH) "flat rate" delivery fee is NOT FLAT RATE and varies by zip code (only going HIGHER, but NEVER Lower). You find that out after they input your order. They tell you it's in stock, but it's not. You will just wait. They also hold your delivery fee HOSTAGE and will not refund it even though you have to wait a month or more actual delivery (of course you already paid in full). If you want to cancel (since they can't ship it on time) or return an item... same thing - you are NOT getting your delivery fee back. Pottery Barn should be ashamed of itself. I have never been so disgusted with poor customer service, and feel completely ripped off.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I just a bought a rug online from Pottery Barn at $598.99. It was a ‘one day deal’ sale. I called up customer service and the local store and both confirmed that if I am dissatisfied with the carpet, I can return to the store for a full refund. Buying rugs online is not always easy as the colors can be very different when you actually get it, so I literally confirmed several times about the refund. Well once the carpet arrived, within a week I took it back to the store as the colors were so dull compared to what we saw online. There again they said that I will get back my payment whichever way I paid, which would be on my card as that’s how I paid for it. Today I get back a merchandise credit card.

When I called their customer service to ask for a refund and not a credit card, he tells me to read the fine print for return policy on final price. This was NOT a final price item. It was a ‘one day deal’. It is a hot item and is being sold on full price and comes on sale every now and then. We have been totally duped. It is a big amount and now we will be forced to buy something overpriced from that store. If they had clearly told us, on my asking several times that there will be no refund, I would NOT have purchased the item.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I’m so frustrated. I’m been calling PB so many times to get my money back for two chair that we order. First time they send the wrong chairs. We wait about 3 months to receive them, then they make a new order to send the right chairs which took another 3 months. We decide to cancel them. I did’t want to wait no more. So now is been 2 months since I cancel my order and I haven’t get my money back. Every single time I call they say something different, "You should receive your money with 7 to 10 business day," but the money never show up. Then I call again and they told me my return was never process but now is been taking care - that I should get my money back in 7 to 7 business day. I call about 7 times and every single time they told me something different - that they gonna follow up with me but nothing happen. At this point don’t know what to do. Is been 6 months.

Original review: May 26, 2019

Ordered Indio outdoor furniture last June but didn’t receive until late August due to ONE piece on back order. Know that if ANY of your order is white-glove delivered, you will not receive it until all pieces are available (even if you are given delivery dates.). This is because the customer pays ONE delivery charge, so PB makes ONE delivery. Red staining started immediately; PB maintains that’s part of the natural weathering process. Furniture was stored indoors all winter. Now, the veneer is chipping off. This is not a product defect according to PB but they did kindly offer to send me a sample of the stain so I can sand down the furniture and re-stain it. Are you kidding me? Given the $$$ I spent on this just months ago, no thank you. I’m done with PB, never again.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I ordered two monogrammed Turkish towels from Pottery Barn. After receiving my order the two towels had vastly different sized monograms despite the fact that the font style and size were suppose to be identical. I then had to return the towel and spoke to a customer service agent to fix the sizing of the monogram. After shipping the towel back and waiting to receive the second towel I received yet another towel with the wrong size monogram. I called again to return this order for the second time and was guaranteed a third replacement rush delivery. I did not receive the item in time and will never order from Pottery Barn again.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I purchased a bed for my son in October 2018. After multiple phone calls, I was continually told they were waiting for parts. I was patient for six months. After many many phone calls with customer service. Never being able to have one contact person. Somehow on a Sunday I got a supervisor. She was great. We made a decision if the bed did not come the next Monday. They would replace the bed with a different one. Monday came and I could not get in touch with the supervisor that helped me. Through notes on the account after six hours of being on and off the phone with Pottery Barn we finally got the new bed into the orders. Note: When I said on and off the phone I had to call three times and each time customer service would be a new person (new person to me) and I would have to start all over.

Each customer service agent was nice but each one had a different idea of how things should go and the process took forever. Finally in mid April the bed was delivered. It took 4 1/2 hours to build. While building the bed a Tacoma storage bookshelf bed, the delivery guys dropped the bridge that went over the bed. It damaged the wall and sheered off the wood trim at the base of the wall. The delivery guys took pictures. I called and they scheduled a new delivery for the pieces they damaged and they also scheduled for a person to come out and look at the wall damage and discuss ways to repair it. Well the delivery came and they replaced all the damaged parts of the bed but the person for wall never came. So again I picked up the phone and called to ask when will this happen. Again a new customer service agent, again new ideas on how to handle it.

More than an hour on the phone answering questions, emailed damaged photos. No responses. Nothing happened. Called again, another new customer service rep and we started the process all over again. Three times I called over 8 days. And still no response from Pottery Barn. So now we are well into week two and I called again. I was told there was no way a supervisor can help me and we need to start the process over again. Please be patient she said. Really I’m not patient. She used words like escalation, teamwork, and Pottery Barn pride. But those are just words that SOUND important but are really not taken seriously by the Pottery Barn family of Stores. It is 8 months now and I still have not been contacted. I call now twice a week and get a new person each time, each new person will not send it to a supervisor and still we are not any further.

Original review: May 21, 2019

We ordered some office furniture with Pottery Barn, and realized 12 hours later, that the measurements would not fit our office space, so we asked to return it. They told us it was too late to process the return as the items were already leaving the warehouse. (First lame excuse). Next, I was told I could file a doc return, but I would have to wait for Pottery Barn to email me that the items are ready to ship.

6 LONG weeks later I get the email that the items are ready to ship (reference lame excuse in first paragraph saying that the items were ready and couldn't be refunded). I call up, file a doc return, and I am told that I should receive a refund within 10 business days. Call back a week later, and the doc return has NOT been filed yet. Put on hold for 30 minutes, and told the doc return was finalized, and I should be getting a refund in 10 days. Fast forward another week, and I call, and the doc return is not yet complete on all items. Call again a week later, and doc return is finalized, but a HOLD was placed on my account so the refund was not processed yet.

I am now almost 3 months into this ordeal with Pottery Barn in trying to get my refund, on furniture I had cancelled the order on the DAY after I placed it. NEVER order from this company. It is literally one of the most unreliable, and crooked services I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. You are better off filing a charge back with your bank and getting your money back than hassling with them. Hopefully this is a warning to you.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I have been a loyal customer for years with PB. I obtained their credit card years ago and found their rewards program to be worthwhile and was able to use rewards anytime. More recently this has changed. Be very wary of PB credit card! So not worth it! I was on the phone for 45 mins, 3 different customer service representatives and it was the most frustrating call. I earned these rewards by spending my money on their products on their credit card only to be told that the reward could not be used or credited to my account. In addition, if a customer returns a product and used a reward, the reward is gone! This is criminal and unjust. I will be cancelling my credit card as there are too many other stores to that have similar products.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I have been a loyal Pottery Barn customer for years. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars, in furniture alone. Back in April, I purchased 32 placemats and a bathrobe. It was a little over $200. I applied a $200 rewards certificate. I was notified a few weeks later that the placemats were no longer available. I received the bathrobe and my credit card statement for $73.13 (the cost of the robe). I thought, oh good, they didn't apply the $200 rewards because the placemats were no longer available. After many, many calls.. I still do not have a helpful answer. They are informing me that the $200 rewards was used. I have explained over and over again that 1- it was not used as I have a balance on my card (for the bathroom) and 2 - it should not have been used because Pottery Barn cancelled the majority of the order, not me. The last agent I spoke with gave me a website and told me she couldn't help me.

The whole experience has been extremely frustrating.. The automated phone system is awful & painful and then when I got a live person, they transferred me to someone else that could not help me (and I had to tell my story over each time!). Pottery Barn has lost a loyal customer today.. I know that Pottery Barn will not feel my impact/nor do they care but I know I am not the only one experiencing this type of service. I hope one day they feel the impact and realize they should have done something much sooner. I think they need a reminder that customer's are the reason they survive..

Original review: May 19, 2019

I love the McCarthy Glass Pendant I purchased from Pottery Barn. It was the very first purchase I made for our new home and when our licensed electrician installed it, I was thrilled, the design of the pendant fit our space perfectly! While spring cleaning, I noticed that there were super fine cracks where the metal cap connects to the top of the pendant. This isn't visible unless you are up on a chair at eye level to the cracks. Obviously, the cracks concern me, as the glass may be weakened by them and it is likely that I received a defective item.

I called customer service to share my concern and to ask for a replacement of the glass. Because my purchase was made a year ago, customer service was unwilling to provide a replacement. I explained that I understood their return/replacement policy, however this was an unusual circumstance where safety is involved. I am not asking to return or replace an item because I don't like the color or that I have changed my mind. I paid for the item and would like to have security of mind, knowing that the item is safe.

Customer service would only state that they could not provide a replacement part because it was past the time frame to do so. I am disappointed that Pottery Barn's bottom line is more important than their paying customer's safety. My caution to the consumer is that if you purchase the McCarthy Glass Pendant from Pottery Barn, look at it very closely to make sure your item is free from tiny cracks and return immediately if it shows any defects.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Spent approximately $2500 for table and four slipcovered chairs. Six weeks to receive merchandise minus a chair slipcover. And delivery was made at 6:45 am! Who has ever heard of this hour to deliver anything to one’s residence! Was told it will be another 6 weeks for one lost slipcover. Who wants to pay for something that takes 3 months? Also was told I could call customer service once slipcover was delivered and ask to be compensated for my inconvenience. So, that’s what I do but very skeptical as to what they believe is just compensation for not being able to use the table and chairs for a month and a half! They offer a 10% ($21) coupon off my next purchase! When I explained that was no compensation I was offered $30.

I had expected to get a better refund than that so she literally puts me on hold without telling me. She apparently asks a supervisor, then comes back on the phone and says, "Tough luck - our $30 offer is off the table" because she offered it and I didn’t say ok. Wow. I don’t have to put up with this. I do business with many other companies that have first rate service who would never ask their customer to wait 3 months for an item. OR make an offer to compensate then come back and say, “Not really willing to give it you since you turned it down the first time.” Is that a way to bring a customer around after making them wait 12 weeks for the product? I really regret making the purchase. I rarely feel this way after a major purchase. Will pass on PB in the future.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I’ve been a very good customer of Pottery Barn for many years and can empathize with all of these reviews. I have had fairly good luck with replacements for damaged items, but have had to cancel several top dollar furniture pieces for the unnecessarily LONG time it takes from ordering to delivering. Sorry - not in this day and age! I get rewards, but you can’t combine them with free shipping - seriously?? How does this make it a reward? Not a fan anymore of a company that makes such a big deal about caring for their customers, yet nickels and dimes them to death.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I am so frustrated with my orders from Pottery Barn. This is the second time in a month that I've gone to search my order since I have been wondering why my items have yet to arrive. Again, I find after tracking my item that it has been backordered!!! I did not receive ANY notification when I placed the order that my items were backorderd, nor did they let me know after I ordered that this was the case. This happened to me at Christmas and I did not receive "Santa" gifts at that time either. I vowed not to deal with this company again, but clearly I had forgotten when the items I was searching for came up through PB. Again, I have girls who will not receive their gifts on time and my curtains will not be hung in time for my First Communion party. So sad that they have such poor communication with their customers. After this, I have nothing good to say about PB and will not buy from them again.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Custom sofa damaged on delivery (not to mention delivery charge itself was $400). Many, many phone calls to an assortment of people and finally they sent someone to patch it! Still looks awful. This section of sofa needs to be replaced and here we go again with many, many calls and not one person has returned our calls. Terrible company, do not buy expecting quality service or communication.

Original review: May 7, 2019

In theory this table has a great design. From day one though it was nothing but a headache. They had four in store but could but could not sell me any of those. So I ordered anyways in January and it didn’t come until the end of April. I put it together and within two days the one extension hinge was broke. It turned white and hangs. Nothing was placed on it but paper. Contacted Pottery Barn and they do not have replacement hinges. All they can do is refund or send a new one, but they are on backorder until mid June. I am going to keep the table, but am going to go to look for a new hinge or something comparable at other stores. I learned to not order furniture or items that are on backorder.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Ordered dining room chairs for Easter and they were delivered wrong three times, the third time there was only one chair that I didn't even order. So now I have three chairs and they have my money!! I have called many times to get it resolved and they have not sent stickers to pick up their chairs and I have called many times and they said they would do it! I even called the store and they could not get the online people to help!! They have my money and I have three useless chairs, no legs, no hardware and can't get them to resolve this.

Original review: April 30, 2019

All: Word to the wise. Be careful with returns. If you're expecting Pottery Barn to provide timely credits to your account, be warned. Every time I return a product to Pottery Barn, it goes several weeks after return receipt with still no credit posted. It's typically not until I call them, that they then track it down when it was received to the warehouse only to then have them send a separate notification to the warehouse to have them credit my account after verifying receipt. Why? It's beyond me why Pottery Barn requires customers to micromanage the returns they send in. The agents are typically baffled when I call them and tell me this is typical. Again, why? Painful and frustrating and honestly, Pottery Barn does not seem to care that they waste customer's time by having incompetent processes at the core of their business model. Please management, identify the problem and work towards a solution.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I waited 2.5 months for the bed and it ended up being incorrectly assembled. I waited another 2 weeks, with many emails to get someone to come out and reassemble. The bed instructions do not match the bed design. The boards/nylon straps are very cheap - cracks, twisted nylon. Poor quality control! It’s not worth what they charge for it. I asked for some sort of credit and I got at $127.15 merchandise card for the inconvenience. Not a credit to my charge card! It’s better to see in-person, not order online.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I ordered the Tallulah sofa in a custom upholstery. The website said it would take 10-12 weeks. I received a confirmation email directly after my purchase with a date range for when my product would arrive (April 23- May 2). 10 weeks later my credit card was billed so I knew I must be getting close. 11 weeks later I received a phone call from their delivery service to set up a coordinating date for delivery. 12 weeks later (April 27th) I received my sofa. I had no problems but I also did not have to deal with customer service at any point in the process.

The sofa itself I have had for a day so it is too soon to review. I will say that it is a performance fabric velvet and my fuzzy blanket likes to leave little fuzz balls all over it. The fabric indeed collects these fuzzy remnants and that's a bit annoying. However, I plan to buy a lint roller and obsessively roll the sofa. I would not recommend their custom velvet if you have a pet that sheds. That would be a recipe for a fur covered sofa. Hope this was helpful.

Original review: April 26, 2019

After three months, I did not received my merchandise and still waiting a refund check or a credit in my credit card. They are not able to provide a tracking number for follow up orders, can’t make a credit if I paid with PayPal, customer service people can’t put complete and accurate shipping address on a computer. No follow up communication with customers to resolve problems. This is a nightmare!!! Worst company ever!!!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I ordered a dresser from Pottery Barn on 3/22/19. The item shipped on 4/02 and was supposed to be available for delivery between 4/04 - and 4/15, and then was later changed to 4/15 - 4/29. I contacted customer service on 4/19 to get a delivery update, to which they stated 5/03 would be the earliest they would be able to deliver. I got a call today (4/24) stating that they were cancelling my order because there was no available inventory for my order. Then what shipped? And why did it take 5 weeks to let me know?

I called their customer service department, who was completely unsympathetic. They just kept blandly stating that the item was lost in transit so they had cancelled my order. Didn't offer to help me find a replacement, or offer me an incentive (e.g., a coupon) to order something else from their site. Super disappointed with how they handled this situation. I would have appreciated some sympathy, and an attempt to resolve this issue outside of just straight up cancelling my order. I won't be shopping with them anymore based on this experience.

Original review: April 23, 2019

We are Pottery Barn customers. Furniture, bedding, dinnerware, candles, you name it. 10 months ago we purchased a patio table, 4 chairs and a bench. White glove service. Pottery Barn's people delivered, assembled it and removed the packing material. Fast forward to 6 months later...the paint is chipping off in dozens of places. Needs complete refinishing. The manager of the store tells us this is happening to many of these patio sets. A "common problem that the company is well aware of." Today we hear from Pottery Barn. "Normal wear and tear" is what they are calling it. We are calling it the last thing we ever buy from them. J in Santa Barbara

Pottery Barn Company Information