2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.30/5

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Pottery Barn Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Ordered child's office chair in late July expecting delivery in late September. COVID delays are happening everywhere, not a problem. No chair and no communications. Oct 10th, called in to learn additional delays until mid December. Additionally bombarded by all Williams Sonoma divisions by spam email. Still sending spam after unsubscribing. Am told that I have to unsubscribe each division.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Hi, We initially ordered this dresser in March 2020. It was initially delivered in August 2020, and the delivery crew damaged our property and the dresser during the delivery. That specific issue was addressed by Pottery Barn, and a new dresser was attempted to be delivered in Sept. During the Sept delivery the delivery crew damaged the dresser again and took it back. We are awaiting out third attempt to get this dresser delivered.

We paid for this item already, and still do not have it. The overall experience has been pretty terrible. When I called pottery barn after the first experience, they offered attempting to mud over the scratches all over the wood and getting back to us promptly, no discount being applied or considered. The dresser is wood end was covered in scratches on one side. There's no way I'd pay for something like that. The second time they took the product back and just have not said a thing. We are waiting to hear when we can get the dresser delivered again. We love pottery barn and have purchased several items from there but this really deters us from considering a pottery barn purchases in the future. I called to see if pottery barn was willing to recognize how, overall this experience has been pretty terrible for us, and if they are willing to do anything about it. I was told not until it's finally been delivered.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I placed an order from the PBT website and received a confirmation of my order with a window of when my order would most likely be delivered by UPS. A week and half later after the expected delivery I received an email saying my order was CANCELED since the item was now out of stock. WHAT???! Why would any company sell products that they are not able to then fulfill???! I did get a refund however I was very disappointed since I was expecting this item. I called to see if they would substitute the item with another that was in stock and they REFUSED. Awful!!!! I will never buy from PBT or any of their other sister stores. I have been disappointed more than once. Be weary of their practices in fulfilling orders.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

We had a registry and received an unneeded gift in May. We returned it and received confirmation of the return June 5. After about 10 messages and 3 extremely lengthy phone calls, we have yet to receive our refund (now Oct 7, 2020). This customer service experience was a nightmare to the point we pulled down our Pottery barn registry. I would never recommend them, as none of the products were of high quality throughout the entire experience. Long story short, our refund was consistently sent back to the wedding guests that originally purchased it for us on multiple occasions. Embarrassing to say the least, but good for them to receive multiple credits on error. Have 4 emails from multiple customer service reps confirming my address and stating the refund (merchandise card) would be received by me within the next 7 business days. Guess what? Still no refund!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

And still no reply from PB. I received the sofa which is of a $4500 value on 7 September. I immediately noticed staining on the sofa and the wooden foot was split. The removal guys had no clue how to bring the sofa in and in the bad efforts took chunks of wood off my newly decorated doors/frames, scratches and dents in the walls with their terrible attempts. I have emailed PB 3 times, 3 phone calls with more than calm, pleasant emails asking for a response. The only response I received was confirmation that a new sofa was ordered. I am still trying to make contact about my damages of the doors/walls to which I have video footage of their bumbling efforts and photos of the damages. If I even got a small attempt at contacting me to acknowledge my calls and emails I would be happy to wait in whatever time it takes to solve the matter. The lack of contact will become quite frustrating.

Resolution response: Oct. 21, 2020

This has been a long and frustrating experience, but updating my review as Pottery Barn has issued a refund for the original order and canceled our replacement order. I probably won't order from them in the future, but they have made the wrong right. So, I'll give them that.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I ordered this bed in June of 2020. With an estimated delivery date at the end of August/Early September. The bed was delivered on 9/11/2020 with the wrong hardware and could not be put together. The "white-glove delivery" team left the unassembled bed on our bedroom floor, gave us contact info to call for help, and left. We called the number they gave us 9/11/20 and no one answered. Left a voicemail with no callback. We called customer service on 9/11/20 to be told that they would mail us replacement hardware that would take 2-3 weeks and we could call to schedule assembly after having the correct hardware. We didn't hear anything for a week. We follow up on 9/18 by calling the original number the delivery team gave us to be told "Didn't someone contact you?" No, no one has contacted us. "This bed is no longer in production and they noted on your account on 9/13 that the hardware won't be sent."

"You mean, it's been known for the past week, that the correct hardware, that Pottery Barn failed to send with the original delivery, won't be sent..." We were forwarded to customer service who told us our only option was to place a new order for the same bed. While frustrated with this situation, we accepted. For a bed we ORDERED IN JUNE, DELIVERED DAMAGED IN SEPTEMBER, we'd now not see the REPLACEMENT UNTIL EARLY NOVEMBER. I checked on the order this morning and the estimated delivery is now not until the END OF DECEMBER.

That's not acceptable. They charged my card for the replacement order and I still have the damaged unassembled bed sitting on my bedroom floor. Customer Service told me I can continue using the original delivery until the replacement is delivery. Please, tell me how I can use an unassembled bed. Pottery Barn, you will be giving me a refund for both orders.

Resolution response: Oct. 19, 2020

An experienced and competent customer service representative from Pottery Barn contacted me and was wonderful in tracking my item. It had been sitting in a warehouse in NJ. She got it to my house in a timely manner, checking in frequently to ensure delivery. I was compensated for my time and frustration. I am very pleased with the outcome. I was ready to stop doing business with the company; I have changed my mind. My loyalty is back! Please note: Until working with this competent, caring customer service rep, I was given incorrect information. It is amazing just how much an experienced service rep can make a difference.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

On Sept. 8, 2020, I ordered the Ludlow Secretary desk through a sales associate at a Pottery Barn store so I could be assured that it was IN STOCK and could be delivered in a timely fashion. It was supposed to be delivered mid September or end of September at the latest. It is now Oct. 8th and after many phone calls and emails, I still do not have a true answer as to when it will be delivered. Different customer service reps give different answers. One thing they do have in common is blaming others in that "this is a third party".

I paid full price and a hefty delivery fee. The piece went on sale the day after I bought it. Pottery Barn could not give me the sale price which would be FINE if the piece could be delivered in a timely manner as originally promised. I have bought a few items through the years from PB. If this situation is not remedied soon, I will no longer being doing business with this company.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Updated on 10/10/2020: I posted a review regarding a back ordered item that was to be delivered to an address I no longer reside at. I had contacted Pottery Barn on 3 separate occasions trying to either cancel the order or change the delivery address (back ordered over 3 months). Pottery Barn immediately responded on this website and requested I send detailed information. After a flurry of emails with 7 different representatives nothing was resolved and they still sent the item to an apartment I was renting while my house was being built. I have no access to this gated community and the item is missing in action (it was delivered but remember I don't live there anymore). There are new tenants and no one has seen the item.

It is crazy that Consumer Affairs allowed that review to be marked as resolved. Pottery Barn did not change my address...despite my protests they sent the item to a place I no longer live...charged my credit card...and then marked the problem as resolved. I highly recommend you order from a Crate and Barrel if you need something. Pottery Barn is terrible... I would steer clear of Williams Sonoma as well. I just ordered $4,000 worth of new kitchen items from them and while the experience was better than Pottery Barn the affiliation between the two requires me to spend my money elsewhere.

Original Review: I ordered several items for my new house. I was told they would be delivered within 2 weeks. Then I received several emails over several weeks that the item is backordered and the shipping kept getting delayed. I called to cancel the order and was told once I ordered they were unable to cancel anything that wasn't coming from their warehouse. They would submit a ticket and get back with me in 48 hours. No email or update arrives so I call again and they tell me my ticket to cancel has been denied. No reason is given....just that I can't cancel my order. I proceed to explain that I have moved since I first placed the order. I am then informed they can't change my shipping address either. So I have paid for items that will be shipped to an address that I no longer reside at and don't have the ability to cancel the order. Please do not order from this company. It is a nightmare.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Where do I even begin. Let’s start with the fact that I was extremely excited to furnish my brand new, first home, and I could not wait to fill it with new furniture from Pottery Barn. The experience of ordering the furniture in the store was amazing and the staff really took the time to help me come up with my design. And then it all went downhill from there.

First, I ordered a dining room table with four chairs to match. The chairs were “delivered” to my house and I got notification via email that they were on my front porch. When I got home, no chairs to be found. When I called, I was told they could not find the address so they shipped them back to the warehouse. The customer service team issued a “replacement” order and I was told I would receive the chairs in two to three weeks. Fast forward one month later, still no chairs. When I called, I was told they were on backorder and I could expect them January 4.

Then my table and sectional were to be delivered from the white glove delivery team from Pottery Barn. When they arrived the two men proceeded to argue within one another inside my home, which left for a very awkward and uncomfortable time for me. Then one of the men decided to sit in the truck and not help and left my fiancé and me to help with the delivery. On that same order, the sectional had pulls in the “performance” material and it was missing a foot. Oh, and the section didn’t even hook together correctly. The back of the couch is approx. a quarter of an inch out of alignment. I was told the foot would be expedited, but yet it took a week to actually get in the mail.

Moving on, I ordered two curtains. One was delivered with a huge orange stain on it. Seems minuscule, but at this point, I’ve had enough with Pottery Barn. Now let’s talk about the ottoman I ordered to match the sectional. I waited close to two months to get it. My fiancé took off work to be home when it was delivered, as you can imagine, I didn’t want to be home by myself in case it was the same two men. When they arrived, they only had one piece of the ottoman, the second piece was MIA.

The delivery team told me that once it was found, they would call me to schedule it to be delivered, you know, because taking off one day isn’t inconvenient enough. Come to find out, the cushion, was never made and now the material is not available. I was advised from Sutter Street to call Pottery Barn customer service, whom I’ve already spent countless time talking to through all of this cluster, and cancel my order, select a new fabric, and place a new order. In the meantime, my credit card balance reflects as if I now own this ottoman, but I don’t.

When I talked to the lady, I told her that I didn’t want a sectional in one fabric/color and an ottoman in a different fabric/color. I wanted a monochromatic look and ordered that ottoman in that fabric and color for a specific reason. I have yet to hear back on how Pottery Barn will make this right. I only receive calls where no one takes accountability and no one can come up with a suitable solution. I’m very frustrated with all of this and am only looking for someone, somewhere to make it right. Until then, I’ll continue to call each day and complain to someone on the other end who doesn’t care.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

So back in early July I purchased the Farmhouse canopy bed. And I was so excited to finally purchase this bed. I had wanted it for so long. It was delivered to me late July or early August. Unfortunately I only received half the bed. The canopy part was not delivered with the rest of the bed. Also disappointed thinking Pottery Barn delivers and assembles. I was wrong. The delivery company just delivered it and carried it to my room. Never even opened the boxes before I signed off. My mistake! Sadly as I assembled my bed discovered the missing parts. The canopy that I was so excited to Finally purchase wasn’t there. I did receive a random box with a broken desk lamp that didn’t even have the lampshade with it. No one can explain that.

I contacted pottery barn right away and they placed a replacement order for the canopy. A few weeks later the shipping company received my canopy and called me to set up a delivery date. Unfortunately now for a simple canopy I was another month out before they can deliver it to me. Mind you. I’m in Scottsdale and my piece is in Tempe. Not very far. The shipping company (Ryder) called and canceled on me an hour before they were suppose to be at my home. Stating they couldn’t find the piece in their warehouse. Probably because it’s not very big and it had to sit around for a month!

Upset obviously I called Pottery barn again And still got no real help. I was unable to get back in touch with the delivery company. And Pottery barn wasn’t either. That’s all they keep telling me. A company they hire to deliver their products and they can’t get a hold of them. Something doesn’t sound right to me. Pottery barn is a high end company. Things aren’t cheap and we pay a ton of money for things and they can’t even get a hold of companies they hire to ship for them.

So finally weeks later got through to Ryder the shipping company and set up another delivery date. And was disappointed again as they called me on the day of delivery that the guys left the warehouse earlier that day without my canopy. That I have been so patiently waiting for and have wanted forever. That was Sept 11th. Now it’s Oct 3rd with 50 calls to Ryder and at least 10 to Pottery barn. Still nothing. Can’t get a hold of anyone. Spoke with what I was told a supervisor named Darla at Pottery Barn. She promised to help me out. Gave me her direct email and all. And still nothing. That phone call with Darla was over a week ago.

Pottery Barn Company Information