2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.72/5
Based on 1,701 ratings submitted in the last year

Pottery Barn Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I like their furniture decor as related today in era. I believe that style evolves, but quality is timeless. The original designs, premium materials and artisan craftmanship that Pottery Barn produce can be loved for a lifetime.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I went to the store and the associates are very helpful and knowledgeable to help me out and suggest other options as well. Also, she suggested that the items were on sale so I paid less than what I expected. It was great. Also, the product fits to my living perfectly. I was very pleased by their level of service and the quality of the product.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Love Pottery Barn but their computer system is very outdated. That is the only bad side that I can think of. However, their staff is wonderful and helpful. The stores usually have all of the samples or at least a type of the sample that you would need. Sales are good and using their credit card helps you get bonus bucks!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I’m a newer homeowner and trying as a single older person to figure how to measure and decide what size to buy over a kitchen island was very difficult. Looking at Pottery Barn I saw they have a help service. I contacted them. A very nice gentleman had me measure how long and how wide the island is and was able to tell me a size range for my pendant lights. Very helpful.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: April 5, 2021

While all of the service agents are very nice personally, the process is horrific. I have ordered 3 separate furniture orders over the last 6 months and everyone has had challenges. It should be be a job for me to have to call and track down my items. Most recently I ordered a desk in Jan and it was set to deliver in May. It then pushed to the end of June. Then in March my credit card was charged. I checked the website and they said it shipped on March 20th but not expected to arrive until June. After much questioning and over 44 mins on the phone it turns out only a piece of it has shipped and the top isn't coming until June. I asked at least 18 times to talk to a supervisor. The agent went through a chat process with two people before me finally INSISTING (and not nicely) that I speak to a supervisor.

That person answered the phone with an attitude (which wasn't the norm for the other people I have spoken with. Her name was Christine!). I asked one question, "Do you think this is the level of service that Pottery Barn should be providing to their customers"? She proceeded to have a long list of excuses explaining the process to me. I told her I just need a yes or no to my answer. Getting even more agitated she told me I wasn't entitle to jump in line and they have a process to follow. Shocked, I said I wasn't asking to go in front of anyone else. I was simply asking to speak to a supervisor and I was in the queue to do so for at least 15 mins. She raised her voice and said I don't get to jump over people. I finally hung up on her because it was an insane conversation. Luckily I have the right to choose who I do business with and that will never be Pottery Barn or any of the Williams Sonoma companies ever again!

Hi Amy,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience and I thank you very much for contacting us. Would you please email us your order details to support@potterybarn.com? We are here to help.

Sincerely,

Charlene

Williams-Sonoma Inc.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: April 3, 2021

We purchased a USB Wall Desk for $249 on Feb 10th. On April 2nd the desk broke - one of the supporting hinges apparently couldn't support the weight of the desk, as the screws became stripped and fell out, making the hinge useless. I have to say I was dismayed that a brand that I had previously considered reliable quality was so shoddy. What was more shocking was that when I called customer service, they told me that because it was after 30 days of purchase, it wasn't returnable or exchangeable, even though it was defective. The agent even suggested I contact the manufacturer to see if THEY had a warranty.

In disbelief, I called back and the second customer service rep made an exception for me and agreed to cover shipping of the defective unit back as well as refund my money. While I am grateful for her common sense, I'm really disillusioned by Pottery Barn. What respectable company makes a product that fails after less than 2 months and doesn't own the defect?

Hi Alice,

I thank you very much for reaching out. Would you please email us at support@potterybarn.com with your order details? We are here to help.

Sincerely,
      Charlene

Williams-Sonoma Inc.

Original review: April 2, 2021

I called customer service regarding a clear mathematical error in the invoice for my purchase from Pottery Barn (i.e., $39.50 product + 8.00 shipping + 3.04 taxes does not = $70.54). I was informed that the $20 difference was due to a recently implemented Hawaii surcharge, which was not disclosed prior to purchase and which did not appear in the invoice (resulting in the apparent mathematical error which prompted my call in the first place). I have purchased from Pottery Barn many times previously without the surcharge and without any issues. The company was unable (or unwilling) to cancel the order despite the fact that it had not shipped yet.

The company's proposed solution was for me to return the product when it arrived and get refunded the cost of the product, which would then result in me paying $28 (hidden surcharge + shipping) in exchange for nothing. I indicated that charging hidden and non-refundable fees to consumers is improper and may run afoul of the laws against unfair and deceptive trade practices (I am an attorney).

In response, the company claimed that the surcharge would have shown on the order form prior to purchase (not true) and could also be found on the shipping page on the website (so one would have to navigate to another page themselves to read through fine print). I was then told that for any further assistance I would need to search the website to find contact information for the legal department as the customer service representative was "instructed to end the call." As a (former) regular customer I am especially disappointed in the dismal and outright offensive "customer service." The cost of the loss of my business far exceeds the $20 that Pottery Barn sought to pocket through its hidden surcharge.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 25, 2021

Updated on 04/07/2021: An update from our review on 3/25 titled "Look at all of the other reviews". Our furniture was not delivered as promised on 4/5. We were told our piece was lost in the warehouse and we would have to order a replacement piece that would be delivered in July. A July delivery date would be 10 months after we originally ordered it and 7 months after our credit card was charged. TAKE YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR ORDER.

Original review: Look at all of the other reviews on here - don't think it won't happen to you! We ordered an outdoor sectional on September 1st, 2020. The cushions and cover arrived a few weeks after we placed the order. The frame was supposed to be delivered around Thanksgiving but the delivery date was pushed back to March 2021. We were charged for the frame on December 15th, 2020, despite the fact that the frame wouldn't be delivered for another 3 months. We still do not have the frame as of today. The cushions and cover have been sitting in a closet for 6 months.

We called PB on March 5th to get an update on our order. We were told that the frame was supposed to ship from the vendor that day and that we should call back the next week to verify the frame shipped. On March 10th we called to verify that the frame left the vendor and were told it did. We were instructed to call back early next week to schedule a delivery. We called on March 15th to schedule a delivery. We were told the frame was ready to ship and a delivery date of April 5th was set up. A few hours later, we received a confirmation e-mail - FOR A REPAIR APPOINTMENT. We don't have the frame - we do not understand why we were set up for a repair appointment for furniture we don't even have!

We called back after receiving the confirmation e-mail and waited on the phone for over an hour with a rep. who tried to figure out what happened. All she was able to tell us was there was some "disconnect" within the system and they are unable to track the item or provide explanation on why two separate people told us the frame was ready to be delivered. She told us that the logistics team would investigate and would be in touch in a couple of days.

A couple of days went by and we did not hear anything from them, so we called back for another update on March 17th. The rep. who helped us that day gave us a completely different story. Apparently the frame is supposed to ship directly from the vendor, but he wasn't able to verify the frame's location. It's baffling why two people in early March were able to track the frame and instruct us to call back to schedule a delivery when it supposedly isn't being shipped by PB. The rep. also told us he was putting it on his personal calendar to give us an update by today (March 25th). We have not heard anything from PB since we last called on March 17th.

We don't know what to do at this point. PB cannot figure out where our order is and no one is returning our calls. We already contacted the support e-mail address and have not received an update there either. To make things worse, the frame has disappeared off the online tracking tool. We are very concerned that the frame will be lost and forgotten about.

We had shipping issues with PB with a separate order in early 2020, but were willing to give them another chance due to covid and the fact that they compensated us for the delay. Having gone through this headache a second time, we will never purchase from PB again unless this situation is resolved adequately. To everyone else in the same position as us, you are not alone.

Hello Joseph,

I show you are now scheduled for delivery on 4/5 and working with a Lead to come to a resolution. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 23, 2021

I bought a big order back in October, half of my order came the other half was lost. Customer Service told me to wait and see after putting a dispute out to shipping if it turned up. During this time my order was 20 % off for the cyber sale. They told me to wait to see what happened and would honour the 20 percent off. Long story short they lost my package and reshipped it out at full price they didn’t approve of the 20 percent off. I could have ordered everything at 20 percent off but they assured me I would get it after seeing where my package was. They lied and wouldn’t do anything. They said a manager would contact me in a week. Never heard from anyone. Worst customer service.

Hi Meghan,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Would you please email your original and new order number and any details to support@potterybarn.com? We are here to help.

Kind Regards,

Alyssa S

Pottery Barn

Original review: March 13, 2021

Quality of the furniture is not worth the price. Waited 6 mos. to receive bar stools, cracked at the weld joints after 1 yr and 5 mos. I am outside of the 1 yr warranty, I was informed there was nothing they could do for me.

Pottery Barn response
      Thank you for reaching out to us with your concern. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the
      frustrations this has caused. I completely understand your disappointment and that's definitely not what we
      want our customers to experience. All inquiries are reviewed and taken seriously as we are working hard to

ensure a positive shopping experience. Please send your order information to support@potterybarn.com. We would like to help.

Kind regards,