Pottery Barn

Compare Furniture Stores

Research top Furniture Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Ordered dining chairs online. Called within 24 hours to cancel as it was over 2 months before would receive. Told I called in time, would cancel before order rec'd by vendor and would call me back in 2 days to confirm. Never heard anything. Emailed Pottery Barn several weeks later to make sure everything was in order. Told by 4 different "sales people" after telling my story over and over that I was given the wrong information and that order could not be cancelled. I will be filing fraud with my bank, with Visa and with my state's Consumer Protection agency. I've spent over $100,000 with this company over the years - they are not getting a single additional cent from me. There are many other, more "customer-friendly" companies out there that I'm sure appreciate having the business.

I have ordered a wrong size of a rug online. The rug was labeled as a Final Sale with price tag ending at .99. After making many phone call the very next day I received the rug, there was no way to exchange this smaller rug with the bigger one I meant to order in the beginning. Even so, it was my mistake not selecting a right size online. I felt very frustrating that something silly like this couldn't be fixed. All I was hoping for was the same style of the rug but the correct size.

Be aware - if you are returning merchandise after 30 days you will not receive a credit. New, original packaging, with a receipt will get you a gift card. After purchasing an $800 carpet, waiting for our new floor to be installed, when the carpet clashed we were unable to receive a true refund. I checked with a few other large retailers whose policies are much more consumer driven. You may want to do the same.

I hope everyone who is considering purchasing furniture from Pottery Barn sees this site and takes warning from the reviews. I'm 3 months into my bed buying experience with Pottery Barn and it's been such a horrible experience. It's almost comical. After receiving great service in-store with a designer helping select and purchase a bed, I was excited to receive my daughter's bunk bed within the scheduled time. But, delivery day was the beginning of my nightmare. I should have known things weren't going well when the delivery company took a table off the truck instead of a bed. After getting the correct piece of furniture in my house, they realized the hardware wasn't with the bed. Would seem easy enough to send hardware, but no. The local delivery company directed me back to Pottery Barn where the customer service person told me they had to wait until the delivery people filed a report. Said they would call me back.

Two business days later with no callback, I called Pottery Barn again. Person that day said she would have the hardware sent to my house and I would be contacted by the delivery company for setup. After a week and no callback, I called again. Finally got to a customer service person who was responsive. She advised that the hardware was on backorder and I was better off getting a new bed – which was also on backorder but not as long. I had to call the delivery company myself to arrange pick up of the bed with no hardware. Delivery company said that it didn't make sense to send a new bed and they could send hardware. I then received a follow-up from Pottery Barn saying they were picking up the old bed.

When I followed up with delivery company, they confirmed hardware was on backorder and I would get a new bed. Scheduled delivery for old bed to be picked up and new bed delivered same day. But, when delivery company came to pick up the old bed, they didn't have the new bed and didn't know anything about it. After another series of phone calls to PB and the delivery company, the new bed was delivered and assembled. When my daughter came home from school, she advised that the bed was assembled incorrectly and several pieces were in the wrong spot vs. the photo.

Another call to PB and the delivery company and another schedule of the delivery company to fix the bed. Delivery company showed up to fix the bed assembly – and didn't have the right size wrench to fix the bed!!! My situation still isn't resolved. I just know this has been the worst furniture buying experience of my life. And I should mention that every "call" to PB and the delivery company–national and local–involved long hold times, getting cut off, calls back and forth. I have my cellphone records to document the 30+ phone calls–not to mention emails–just to get a bed delivered. Crazy bad service. Don't know how they're still in business.

The surcharges and exorbitant shipping charges for furniture at Pottery Barn make shopping there a very unpleasant experience. It is bad enough their furniture is overpriced for what it is but the additional charges and ridiculous rules push customers like me right over the top. Rules change constantly and the price is never the price. I'm amazed they sell any furniture at all with their absurd business model.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?

I placed an order in July for a bathroom vanity that was scheduled to be delivered the first week of September. When I never got a follow-up call/email about shipment, I called the Pottery Barn customer service # and was put on hold for over 30 minutes on three different occasions. I finally gave up and contacted someone at the end of September, and was told that the vanity was not going to be shipped until the end of January 2017! The contractor I am using was waiting on the vanity and it was a disappointment as we had measured/planned the PB vanity to fit in the space. The customer service is terrible and the follow up on items that are backordered is inept! It is up to you (the consumer) to call them and check on your order, and good luck getting a real person on the phone! Beware... The catalog has very pretty vanities and not many are really in stock!!

I ordered 3 items from Pottery Barn, 1 of which was back ordered and charged separately. I returned all 3 items. Two items were 3 days past the 30 day return window, but the back ordered item was returned within 30 days. A merchandise credit was issued for the entire purchase, but not a refund to my credit card (per website company policy) for the item returned on time. I called to inquire and ask for the appropriate refund.

On the first customer service phone call, I rudely was told everything was returned after 30 days, despite having a UPS tracking slip in front of me and the Pottery Barn website to prove otherwise. On the second phone call, I was denied being connected to a manager, told that nothing would be done despite the website policy stating the return policy. And despite this customer service rep stating there was no one else to speak with, and she could't do anything, she kept stating, "They aren't going to do anything." Who is they? I was also told that the 30 day return window begins when you order the product which is stated nowhere on the website or receipts. This is absurd considering it was a back ordered and shipped item.

I have never written a bad review of a company, service, etc., but this experience is so outrageous to me. Having worked in retail for years, this is the worst customer service experience I have encountered. Considering the cost of their products, shipping charges, etc, you would expect top-notch customer service. Pottery Barn flatly refused to honor their own return policy and have permanently lost me as a customer.

I worked with Pottery Barn for six weeks trying to order my custom fabric bed frame and headboard. Every time I made a decision and was ready to write up the order, which took a lot of time both in store and on the phone. I was told the rules had changed, the prices had changed or the fabric was not really available! Finally, I ordered the most inexpensive, 'always available' plain cream linen... that is their standard in store model... I ordered it. I was told it would arrive within 6-8 weeks, but expect three weeks because it is so common. (Yea, just what I wanted... common. But I was desperate.) It still has not arrived 13 weeks later! It took me three days and over 2 hours of phone calls to find out it is on ETERNAL BACK ORDER!!! No telling when I can get it. SERIOUSLY? They never bothered to let me know. NEVER AGAIN POTTERY BARN.

I opened an account and made several large orders from Pottery Barn this year with the promise of a 10% rebate in the form of gift certificates that can be applied to the subsequent orders. Each time you make the order they do not apply the certificate on the phone, they tell you that it will be reflected on you the card statement later. I assumed that they would be honest about this. I later found they did not apply any of the certificates. I called to complain and they were extremely rude on the phone. They said they would review tapes of the conversations and call me back. I never received a callback.

I called again and had to start fresh with another extremely rude customer service agent. Long story short they have screwed me out of over $1,500 in promised rebates. I spent over 15,000 with Pottery Barn and have never been treated more poorly by any retail company in my life. I'm currently talking to an attorney not because I expect to recover much, but because I refuse to let this company steal from its customers on principle.

Consumer Increased Rating!
My Resolution Journey: My first phone call: I had to persevere with an outrageously rude customer service rep named Joanna. She insisted multiple times there was no need to talk to her supervisor because they would tell me the same thing she was telling me and that she couldn't transfer me anyway. I had given her one choice, transfer me or I would persist anyway possible, including legally! After an extended hold time, I was transferred to Daniel. Daniel immediately told me Joanna had filled him in and she was correct. There was nothing else to be done. I insisted it's illegal to tell a person one price on the phone then charge them a higher price without notifying them of the change! It was clear, Daniel the supervisor was educated in the same customer service school as Joanna ,because when I asked for his supervisor he said, he wouldn't give me that information because....they would say the same thing he and Joanna were saying! I persisted, and he conceded he could give me their email address. Of course, I was astonished in today's day and age that his supervisor didn't have a phone? When Daniel realized I wasn't going away until I had a phone number, he finally gave me a phone number! How painful is this?

Ultimately, I got a call back from Kenya, who was cheerful, apologetic about my story thus far and committed to giving me true customer service. We came to a resolution even though I did not receive the full amount of my rewards certificate ($350 out of $500) I'm satisfied with the resolution. After spending $9,400 with Pottery Barn in the last year, and an approximate total of $15,000 in the past 15 years I wish great customer service would have been a seamless process. I will definitely think twice about making any future major purchases with this company. Pottery Barn needs to have more representatives that are professional and solution-oriented like Kenya.

k. of Fairfield, CT on

Original Review

I made a purchase using my $500 rewards from the $5200.00 dining set I had previously purchased. I was buying one more dining chair and a desk credenza. The representative and I talked, and using my rewards and a 15% off discount my total would be $279.00 and she placed my order and took my credit card. Fast forward over a month when I checked my credit card bill, I was billed $600! I just got off the phone with multiple rude representatives that argued with me and talked over me, saying I didn't use my Pottery Barn credit card so the rewards of $500 could not be applied!

Somehow this is my fault because it says so on the back of the rewards certificate! It's not their fault their representative took my order and quoted me a price based on what we discussed, but it's my fault for not reading the fine print on the back of the certificate! Isn't that illegal to tell a customer you are charging them one price and then charge them more without notice? They are now saying there is nothing they can do, it's done!

Worst customer service from Pottery Barn Kids! I purchased a desk from Pottery Barn Kids and it arrived with two defected legs. I called customer service immediately and was told that they were going to ship me the replaced parts. I waited for one month but nothing happened. I called again and got the same answer. However still nothing happened for two months. I called a third time. This time I was told I was responsible for uninstalling the desk, packing it well, and shipping it back, and otherwise they would do nothing for me. I have purchased furniture from multiple brands and Pottery Barn Kids was the worst in terms of customer service. They don't care about customers at all.

I am a first-time Pottery Barn customer. My first order of small bathroom shelves arrived quickly and in great condition. Pleased with the response, my second order was near $3000 for a full home office set, including a modular desk, a modular cabinet, a modular file cabinet, and an office chair. Let me first say that their website has some obvious problems. It has erratically erased my second order -- and even though I have contacted them about fifteen times about this issue they still have not resolved it.

So I can't actually see or track my second order on the website. Another problem I have had is that they list an availability date on the product page, then when you go to checkout the availability changes AS YOU ARE ORDERING. But if you go back to the website as if to order another one, it still has the earlier availability date. So I thought these items would be available October 3, and as I checked out it changed to October 31. A week later, without notifying me, the date was pushed back again to November 14.

Back to the order. The office chair was shipped first via UPS, and it was packaged very well and was in good condition -- I think. There was some black hardened welding material on the bottom of the chair which I found odd. It seems functional, though I haven't tried to raise or lower it yet... maybe I should. A few weeks later I received the Cabinet and the File Cabinet with their White Glove Delivery. Now this delivery was scheduled between 4:30 to 6:30 pm. I didn't actually pick this slot, they just informed that's when it would be. At 2:55 pm I get an automated message saying the delivery will be there in 10 minutes and if I'm not there I'm out of luck. So I'm rushing to my house during the workday to meet these delivery guys who are arriving an hour and half before the time slot even starts.

They carried the items in fully assembled wrapped only in saran wrap. The delivery guys were pushing a tablet in my face to put my signature down, however they would not let me read what I was signing saying. They "couldn't go back to the form from the signature page". AFTER I signed two forms I could not see, they placed the furniture down. The Cabinet had a large crack on the side and I told them I was refusing that. They rushed that out and drove off. Examining the remaining File Cabinet further, there were knicks, scuffs, dents, and some smaller cracks. And the paint job was terrible on the insides of the shelves and the undersides of the cabinet.

So I called Pottery Barn minutes after the men drove off, who told me they would be sending a new Cabinet and File Cabinet and that they would take the damaged File Cabinet away at the same time. Of course, I still can't see my order online, so I call in the next week to check. The rep tells me that that my new Cabinet and Desk Chair are on the way. What??? I didn't order a replacement Desk Chair. The rep says she made the changes. I email the next day to check -- they still think they're sending me another Desk Chair. This time they "really" change the order.

A few days later I receive the replacement File Cabinet via UPS in a box. Now these File Cabinets weigh 130-150 lbs which means they weigh more than I do. I had to recruit two men to pull this thing out of the box. Yet this one is damaged even more than the first. I now have two gigantic File Cabinets basically in the hallway and I have nowhere to store them.

I tell Pottery Barn I need another replacement but they need to come get these first. They say UPS will come and pick them up on a Friday between 7 am and 9 pm. Excuse me? Do they not realize people have jobs? I won't be home all day on a business day. That aside, I remind them that the first File Cabinet was delivered without a box, and the second File Cabinet is too heavy for me to put back into the box. Even my male helpers balk at trying to squeeze that back into the box (which is already somewhat torn from pulling it out). Pottery Barn then says they cannot help with that, but they will send someone from their delivery hub to pick up "but cannot guarantee that they can pick up both cabinets." Wow. Just wow.

I'm seriously considering cancelling the whole order. If I have this much trouble with file cabinets who knows who they'll handle a whole desk. I can't wait 4 or 6 months for two or three replacement desks. For the record, the items seem to be shipped just fine. But whoever they're outsourcing their manufacturing to (probably a sweat shop in China) has no clue how to build, assemble, and paint large furniture. They advertise a "kiln-dried wood frame" and paint "applied by hand in a multi-step process" but this furniture looks worse than bottom of the barrel IKEA. Not only is there damage like chips and dents, but there are black and white paint splatters sealed into the sides and top of the cabinet. Like someone assembled the whole cabinet and took a paint sprayer and just went at it.

They really do a disservice to the beautiful designs they show in the catalog with the abysmal quality of the actual products. You may get a nice item on the first try, like I did with the shelves. But it's a total crap shoot. I would not recommend anything that is large or looks complicated from this company because they will do a crappy rush job. Small bathroom shelves? Okay. Desks, beds, sofas, kitchen tables, etc. and you're going to be regretting this whole ordeal like I am. I have about 30 pictures but ConsumerAffairs only lets me publish a small few.

I ordered the slipcover sofa 3 months ago. I received my credit card bill so thought it must be ready. Called PB customer service. They said it should be ready for delivery. Had me call DC. DC said sofa was there but not slipcover. A week goes by. Customer service tells me yes the slipcover is there. I should call DC again. Called DC. They said it's not there and they have no idea where it is. I called Customer Service again. They said they don't know where slipcover is and it will take several days to find out. I had a fit about having the charge on my credit card bill when sofa was clearly not ready to be delivered. Customer service temporarily credited my account. The number one biggest issue is the expectation that the customer has to track down their own order with the delivery DC. I will never buy from them again and as soon as this is resolved PB credit card will be cancelled. I wish I'd checked this website first.

I am finished with this company. I went to order a $320 Mirror and due to their new Flat Rate Shipping policy they want to charge me $259 to deliver it. They said due to the size and weight blah blah blah. Funny 8 months ago I ordered a larger mirror that came UPS for 1/5th the shipping cost. They are thieves.

I have been shopping at Pottery Barn since the beginning when it was a small store in Chicago. I love the style. I recently went to our local store looking for a leather chair. I found one and discovered it's new for the season. I also found an ottoman, which was a floor sample. I had a promotion code. The lady in the store was rude and basically didn't want to sell me the chair or even attempt at trying to order it. She mentioned that another customer liked the chair but wanted six, and seemed as if wanting one was not enough to order it for me. Furthermore, there were a lot of people in the store; however, many of the employees went to lunch/break, and I waited about 15-20 minutes in line because they said they were busy with design services.

She seemed to come around and said she'd look into it and call me. Another sales person did call me but was matter of fact and said she would not honor the furniture coupon as I purchased the ottoman earlier that day! I was so frustrated, I decided to call catalog and they honored the coupon and I ordered the chair. Meanwhile, it has been 43 days, and I still don't have the chair (which has been sitting in the warehouse). I called customer service, and they couldn't find the order. They gave me the delivery service number, but they are not good about answering or returning their calls. I should have the chair by the end of the month...(60 days from time of delivery). I'm a good customer, but I will NEVER return to our local store with current staffing.

Funny, I discovered the manager was the one "helping" me in the store. She also badmouthed a former manager, which I find completely inappropriate! Pottery Barn needs intervention in their brick and mortar stores! They also need to streamline furniture orders with delivery; otherwise, Pottery Barn will not be a successful company as there is fierce competition who will provide excellent service.

I would advise customers to not purchase from Pottery Barn Kids. I placed a 4000 dollar order on Saturday through their telephone customer service. They took all my personal information and then said the order was "cancelled." My wife and I called several times to inquire about why the order was cancelled. They said I would need to speak to a supervisor, but couldn't get me in touch with one. One time they had me hold for 45 minutes, another time they hung up on me. After that they told me that there was high volume. Finally, they told me that they would call me when they had time. This place has horrible customer service... I would welcome the chance to talk to one of their supervisors. Good thing for me they record my conversations for quality improvement. IT would prove how suboptimal their operations are...

My wife made a purchase at Pottery Barn in November of 2015. She then made some additional purchases on their deferred interest program. Each month their bill shows what is credited against the deferred plan. And without showing anything they continue to charge you 26.99% interest on their revolving plan... All the ATTENTION IS DELIBERATELY FOCUSED ON YOUR "INTEREST-FREE" PURCHASE... I spoke at length with a customer service agent who told me just to look at the bill and I would see the revolving balance. After 30 minutes she admitted that revolving balance WAS NOT ON THE BILL. "That's strange," I told her it was not strange it was deceptive and misleading.

She then got her supervisor who quickly recognized that what they can see on their screen DOES NOT APPEAR ON YOUR BILL... Finally their respective manager offered to give me a math lesson and told me all I had to do was first find the numbers on one page and then go to another page and subtract them from those numbers and PRESTO "this is how we SCREW the consumer" (my quote not his). Pottery Barn is deceptive. Pottery Barn is misleading. Pottery Barn is not consumer friendly. PURCHASES OF $5,632.00 PAYMENTS OF $4,424.00 AND WE STILL OWE $2,264 AND HAVE PAID OVER $542.00 IN INTEREST.

After spending over 1000 dollars for our daughter's nursery, we receive a damaged cushion. I called them several times to get the issue resolved and was just getting transferred around only to get a call almost 3 months later that they are going to send me a new rocker (Not what the issue was.) Pottery Barn is not worth the money you spend - customer service not helpful at all and inconsiderate for the inconvenience they place on their customers. When you call you feel like you are bothering them. Point DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME SHOPPING THERE!!! Land of Nod is much better.

We purchased a sectional from Pottery Barn just about a year ago. We have made multiple purchases from there in the past (our children's rooms are all Pottery Barn). Our sectional has absolutely fallen apart over the year. The material is really peeling and unraveling. The cushions have already lost their shape. I called the customer Service department. They told me to take photographs and explain exactly what happen with the sectional. I wrote a paragraph or 2+ and photographs. I heard nothing for two weeks.

I called again after being on hold for about 28 minutes and the girl who answered the phone this time in customer service said she didn't know why I didn't have a response by now. I then had to resend the same email with the photographs to finally get a response. The response I got was the peeling is really normal on this type of sectional. They did not address how the material had started to unravel and how the sectional just looked a lot older than a year. The sectional has barely been used and it looks like it is several years old. We are so disappointed with the quality of the furniture this time. And they don't seem to be very responsive as they already have on money. If we don't get a response from them in because the quality of the sectional, we will absolutely no longer do business with Pottery Barn. Thanks.

First I wish to goodness I had looked at Consumer Affairs BEFORE driving 3hrs to a Pottery Barn store & an entire day wasted to order furniture that has yet to be here. My husband & I ordered 3 pieces of furniture a sleeper sofa, a chair & ottoman. We left the store about 5 pm on a Sunday. When we got the confirmation email my husband realized he would rather have the swivel chair not the recliner & the ottoman was not on our order, so promptly at 9 am Monday I called the sales lady who helped place our order. She said "no big deal I'll get it taken care of. Your credit card is not charged until the item is shipped"--well that didn't happen. Our credit card was charged, both with the wrong chair & the other items not shipped. At least a dozen calls where we were treated like an annoyance BOTH to Pottery Barn & The Plaza Frontenac store in St. Louis later nothing was fixed--but they kept exclaiming it would be.

Chase Visa was actually the most impressive when we finally refuted the charges. They were very disappointed in such horrible customer care & lack of organizational methods from such a LARGE company (All of this time I'm thinking we just need a couch & our chair)??? The ottoman had been delivered the first or middle of the second week??? Totally showed up on our doorstep no call, no nothing??? 500$ ottoman outside sitting???

Currently it is September 28th. Our furniture was supposed to be here on the 19th. I have spent countless hours on the phone with both Pottery Barn & their MDX shipping company who does not seem to know what the other hand is doing. No one knows what they're doing. I hope these reviews get to someone with sense & the power to stop all of this craziness. I kept excusing it thinking it was just bad luck--but Pottery Barn is going downhill fast. After this last encounter with MDX, the man was rude & lacked any type of humanity & who promised to call me back in 10 mins (it's been 30). I think we will refute all charges & refuse to accept anything further from Pottery barn. I cannot even describe all of the crazy phone conversations I've had in the last 3weeks. It would be an entire book.

We ordered my son a bed from Pottery Barn, and were told we would receive a call from customer service once all the pieces were ready for delivery. We never received a call, and we had to call them to schedule a delivery. We explained that they should deliver with a smaller delivery truck due to our steep driveway. They brought the wrong truck, couldn't deliver, then we had to wait another 1.5 weeks for the next delivery. On the day of delivery we had to wait 1 hour beyond their delivery window, received no calls, and had to deal with rude customer service reps who obviously do not care about the inconvenience. We will NEVER purchase anything from Pottery Barn again!

I made an order for a picnic basket in June 19, 2016, and was very frustrated that the 20% Offer Code "SUNNY20" did not work even though the terms said it was applicable to "all in-stock orders" (see attached images). I inquired with customer service asking for this SUNNY20 20% discount code to be applied to my order, and if for some reason that was refused please apply the 15% welcome discount code: ** to my order instead. The response from Robert ** refused the honor any discount codes, indicated that "sale items were not included in the promotion". Sale items were not specified anywhere in either promotion's exclusions or fine print. I felt tricked into paying more than advertised for this picnic basket.

Three months later, when I opened the cardboard box containing the wine glasses in the picnic basket, one of the glasses was completely shattered. I contacted customer service about this today, and was given attitude that I was just discovering this issue now. They indicated they would follow up via email with a potential solution without any certainty. I also re-addressed the discount code issues, and was given another vague excuse that promotion codes do not apply to sale items without any concrete evidence of that. This was terrible service and misleading business practices, so I will not be shopping at Pottery Barn again.

Arranged 7 days prior for the delivery, received a email yesterday with the time (2-4). No show, no call. A total lack of common courtesy. However my Pottery Barn credit card was charged for this several weeks ago and paid.

This is not the first time Pottery Barn has not delivered a product (A GIFT!) to me in a "somewhat" timely fashion. I ordered a set of monogrammed bedding set on August 9--to be delivered by Sept 7. I never was notified that it was backordered further!!! (They said that they emailed me... yet I have no record of that at all... plus that never would have been okay). I didn't even know there was a chance that it could be on backorder until November, if so I would have never ordered a gift from them! I NEED the gift now. I have had Christmas presents not be delivered on time by Pottery Barn. I have had the wrong merchandise delivered by Pottery Barn. Now another gift is LATE! UNREAL.

The customer service agent asked me what I wanted her to do--UHHH how about make good on order. NEVER AGAIN, POTTERY BARN. I love going into your store and buying a fun thing or two every mall visit. NEVER AGAIN. I love buying GIFTS for new babies there. NEVER AGAIN. I especially love buying seasonal items for my kids there. NEVER AGAIN. What a bummer.

I registered at pottery barn kids, ordered a 2,000 dresser august 13, 2016. It is now september 14, 2016 and not one associate can tell me when my dresser will arrive. The baby is due in one week and I have no dresser or crib because of this company and when you call them they put you on hold for 2 plus hours each time and each associate cares less and less than the one before... Don't know how they stay in business but do yourself a favor and register somewhere else like restoration hardware.

We ordered a $2000 buffet from the store in our local mall. PB sent an email with a delivery date and a window of 4-6pm. At 6:15pm there was no phone call and no buffet. We called the delivery line and the rep told us they could not locate the truck. We had to be somewhere so we told the rep we would be leaving the house at 6:45pm. She told us if we were not there when the truck came (even though it was well past the delivery window), they would either leave the buffet (a $2000 piece of furniture for which we paid for white glove delivery) in front of our house, or they would mark us as having missed the appointment and we would have to reschedule and pay additional delivery fees. After a dozen or so calls to customer service and the shipping hotline, we managed to get the delivery rescheduled, and PB credited us for part of the shipping cost.

A week later, we decided to give PB another chance, thinking maybe it was just a fluke. My wife went into the store and ordered the matching hutch for the buffet ($1600). The item was under promotion and listed at 25% off. After she paid, the employee and manager who rang her up told her they could not give her a receipt because they had "closed it out". My wife argued that surely there was some record of this transaction - they insisted there was not, and the best they could do is mail her a receipt the next day or she could come in and pick up a receipt at a later date.

My wife protested because she was being asked to leave without any record of the purchase, and without knowing she was charged the correct amount. The manager and employee reassured her that everything was fine and that it was rung up correctly. They did some searching and provided her with an order number, and she left the store.

That night, she saw on her debit card statement that she was charged $497 more than the price of the hutch - they had not applied the 25% discount. She called PB customer service and explained the situation, and gave them the order number she was given in store... only to find out the order number the manager gave her was from the original buffet purchase from over a week ago, not from the hutch they had just overcharged $497 for.

About 15 total hours of telephone hold time and several days later, we have not received a refund of $497, and no one has contacted us to deliver the hutch. We get different stories each time we call: the refund was issued a week ago, the refund is about to be issued, etc. At this point it appears Pottery Barn is engaged in unlawful practices, baiting people into the store with claims of 25% off, then charging your card the full amount, and not necessarily even giving you merchandise in return.

If this isn't resolved soon by PB corporate (who we have left voicemails with), I will be contacting the Attorney General's office in Pennsylvania and seeking out other aggrieved parties, as well as going to the Magistrate and seeing if charges can be filed against the employee and manager who overcharged my wife's debit card with nothing in return.

I purchased a sofa on July 4 2016. I called the same day and the order was cancelled. On July 22nd they charged my Pottery Barn Credit Card almost $1500. I noticed the charge on my August statement and called the credit card company. They did a three person call with a PB representative who told me the item was not cancelled. PB doesn't charge your card for furniture purchases until they are ready to deliver so since they charged it July 22nd, I asked where the sofa was. She stated she doesn't know. On the notes for my PB account it states the sofa was put back into stock in the City of Industry CA, yet they are still charging me! Been trying to solve the problem for the past 2 hours, and it's still an issue.

Updated on 09/29/2016: I first ordered a Carlisle Sofa upholstered in Vintage Velvet Ebony around August 2015. The sofa arrived looking different from the fabric swatches and with damage. I sent photos to them and they offered me a discount or a return since they stated I received the wrong color (Color was a velvet gray). They didn't know if my sofa was upholstered in the wrong fabric or if it was a bad fabric batch so I returned it.

Now here it is a year later, and I ordered the same exact sofa (I thought I let enough time go by to not get another bad batch of fabric). Waited two months for it, and it arrived with the wrong color (again!) and with a big brown stain on the seat. Pottery Barn is letting me return the custom sofa because of the stain, but they told me the color is correct.

Pottery Barn's vintage Velvet Ebony shows up under the "black" color category on their website but it is gray! And it even turns a silver shade in certain light. Nothing near black and nothing near the swatches sent to me or what I have seen in store. PB use to have a gray Velvet which they have since discontinued, but I have a feeling this is that fabric. Someone has it mislabeled and I know I am not the only consumer upset about the color differences. Huge disappointment and a waste of time.

I bought a skeleton ice bucket from Pottery Barn. I started with that because I wanted to try them. I won't make my review long... so the ice bucket came without the crystal bowl... so my ice bucket can't be an ice bucket... How stupid is that? Every pic of the product shows the crystal bowl (it is not an standard crystal bowl...) NOWHERE it says... "crystal bowl not included"... Customer service send me a link that does not even have a picture. That link is nowhere. They created it to sell the crystal bowl... and they told me, "Sorry. No picture of the bowl but we guarantee it is bowl you need." That potterybarn.com is a bad joke. Never again.

The short story is my furniture was ordered AUGUST 10, 2016. Delivery was initially scheduled for August 25th at 10am. On August 25th at 7am, the delivery team called and said they would NOT be delivering my furniture and hung up. This is a big deal for my family as we cleared out the office of the old desks on August 24th to make room for the new desks. My husband and I BOTH work from home, and now we have no work space. The warehouse NEVER called back to reschedule. On August 30th I called customer service at Pottery Barn to find out what was going on. After waiting on the phone for 35 mins, someone answered and transferred me to the warehouse. The warehouse suggested Sept 15 and said that was all they had take it or leave it (VERY RUDE).

I called back to customer service and spoke nicely with a rep. She promised to call back in 24 hrs but never did. August 31st I called back. Explained the problem and asked to speak with a manager. After an hour and 10 mins on the phone waiting the rep would not transfer and promised to call back and that she would definitely handle the situation. She never called back. I called again today Sept 2 and spoke with a rep and demanded to speak to a manager. She transferred me to the warehouse after she told me she was sending me to a manager. I have been on the phone for 2 hours and 25 mins today. I did finally speak to a rep who pretty much said I will never speak to a manager but that they would compensate me $400+ dollars upon delivery of the furniture. This is cute. I am really beside myself at this point as I just can't believe what I am hearing.

You may not believe me, but as a real estate agent I know what treating customers right is and this is unacceptable. But at this point, you guys win and I give up. I suppose I will never get to speak with a manager and while I would love to cancel my order, I don't have the time to wait on the phone anymore. But please know I will NEVER order a piece of furniture again from you guys and will make sure to share this experience with EVERYONE I know. I thought much more of your company and employees, but now I know that if there is a problem, you have no recourse. Thanks for the enlightenment. I would think waiting a month for delivery would be unacceptable. Evidently it is not.

The product is beautiful, the customer service is terrible. My order was doubled. I called prior to shipment to correct, and was told they would try to fix it, but there were no guarantees. I was supposed to receive an email once they knew if they correct the error. I didn't. I received the entire shipment, have to pay 13.25 in shipment and handling and it'll be four weeks before I receive my refund. I realize they are not obligated to correct the error, but I order so much online, and everyone has been more than happy to help, until Pottery Barn. Their hands are tied. There is nothing they can do. And there is no one else you can speak to. For such an expensive company, you would think they'd have better customer service. Never ordering from them again!

Pottery Barn Company Profile