2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

3.7/5 (2374 ratings)

About Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pottery Barn?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I placed an order for a simple 5x8 sisal rug on 5/26 with a delivery date confirmed for late June which has still not been received over two months later. I have received 3 updates with new delivery dates but they have all passed. I spoke with a PB representative who explained that the rug manufacturer is a third party vendor and they have no control over the actual delivery date. He also stated that this was a custom order and if I choose to cancel the order PB cannot guarantee that the vendor will honor the cancellation and I could still receive the rug and be billed regardless of when (or if) the rug is ever shipped. A sisal rug is a fairly standard item and I have confirmed it is available in with other companies but in PB world it is "custom" and PB has no responsibility.

My question is at what point is it no longer acceptable to hold a consumer hostage by not allowing the customer to cancel an order when the catalog states "estimated delivery 3 to 5 weeks"? I have sent 3 requests via the PB consumer help link and to date have not received a single response. My advice is do not order anything online from PB. If you want to take a chance on receiving an item you might call them and ask them for an actual history of delivery performance.

I understand the COVID impact on the supply chain but in my opinion this doesn't give PB the right to wash their hands of the third party vendors they have chosen to do business with and advertise in catalog/web, or mislead the consumer on lead-times. Finally, what happened the customer comments on the PB website? Unless I missed them this might have been a help in deciding whether to place an order in the first place. Thank you.

Hello Michele,
Thank you for reaching out to us. I am so sorry about your experience. I would be happy to look into this for you. I would just need your order information for the rug. You can send this via private message here or email support@potterybarn.com and reference id 189111. We are looking forward to help get this resolved for you to the best of our abilities.

Julie C.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

We ordered multiple items for our nursery and were confidently told we would receive by September. That is false and we have been delayed multiple times by several months. We have nothing for our nursery now and our baby is almost here. Very frustrating. If we had known, we wouldn’t have put ourselves in this situation. False advertising.

Hello Justin,
We would love to check into this for you. Please feel free to send a private response with your order number or write to support@potterybarnkids.com with your order information and ID 188978.
Warm regards,

Julie C.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

August 23, 2020 I ordered a White Chelsea Armoire from Pottery Barn Teen. This armoire comes in 3 pieces. The first delivery attempt which I took time off work for was October 21st. The boxes were in pristine condition but the base and one side inside those boxes were so severely damaged the drawers wouldn't shut - I had to point this out to the delivery person as he struggled to shut them. I was left with one undamaged piece to be stored in my garage taking up space until the two damaged pieces could be replaced.

On December 4th, I took off another day for the scheduled delivery of the two damaged pieces. One piece was the same as the undamaged one in the garage - which the delivery people proceeded to damage along with my front door and hardwood floors when they attempted to carry it into my house. They wanted to send out their "fix-it" person to come out and fix my brand new damaged piece. I declined and then I realized that it was a duplicate piece. SOOO we called Pottery Barn again to have them replace the duplicate piece. Now I have two pieces taking up space in my garage.

On February 5th of 2021 I took another day off to have the piece delivered - guess what? It was damaged. This time I called Pottery Barn while the delivery people were still at my house, because I wanted them to take all of the pieces back and give me a full refund. The lady at Pottery Barn spent a long time on the phone with me - going back and forth between me and her supervisor. I was told I would get a refund for the time it was taking, especially since she wouldn't be able to get me the piece until June of 2021 (we are at 8 months now). I told her I expected at least a 50% refund if I was going to wait another 4 months to get the piece as well as store the other two pieces in my garage. She said I was going to get at least that amount, but I had to wait and call after I accepted delivered.

On May 7th (earlier than anticipated holy cow) the final piece was delivered, undamaged. I contacted Pottery Barn to get my refund and was told I can only get $300 back. I explained that I was led to believe I was getting at least 50% or I would never have accepted delivery, and was told No - but they would have someone from customer service reach out to me. No one ever called. Today I called to follow up (1 year later), and got a short change artist on the phone. I explained my issue. She said "First, let me get you the $300 back on your account, are you OK with that?" Of course I said "YES" in anticipation of the next steps to get additional credit. She began to bang on the keyboard like she was typing and said "Can I help you with anything else today". I just laughed and said "nope, I'll just leave it in a review" And here it is! I've spent many dollars with this company, but will no longer do so anymore.

Hi Michele,

We thank you for reaching out. Would you please email us your order details to support@potterybarn.com? Our elevated support team is here to help.

Sincerely,

Charlene V.

Pottery Barn

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

On May 23, 2021 I ordered custom drapes from the Pottery Barn website ($425/$461.98 with tax and shipping). The projected delivery date was June 17th. When I checked in mid June the projected delivery date was July 31st (no communication received). While not happy about the extended length of time I was fine waiting. On July 30th I checked and while it still said projected deliver on the 31st there was no indication the item had shipped or the shipping company/tracking. Thereafter to this day (August 15th) the projected delivery date is whatever date I look up.

Around July 31st I contacted PB and was told this was a third party vendor and they can only inquire as to status but they also did not see a projected ship date. After telling me I could not cancel the order due to no expected delivery date, a customer service rep (Shannon) finally said she would submit a cancellation. Since I had heard nothing I contacted them again (August 15th) and the vendor never responded to the request (and no one followed up with me). I am being held hostage for almost $500 with no projected end in sight.

PB seems to feel they are not responsible for their vendors but when I ordered the curtains it was through PB which I thought would ensure some supply chain quality. They seem to feel if I haven't been charged yet it is fine; however, I can't order another curtain from a reputable company until this is cancelled as I WILL be charged when the curtain finally ships (could be December or 2022, no one can say). No one is holding the vendor to any standards and once you order they cannot/will not do anything. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, order anything custom from Pottery Barn or any subsidiary. Just a horrible experience. And to the standard "helpful" Pottery Barn response to issues: my order number is **, do something about this yourself. Don't ask me to do more.

Lisa

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I ordered 2 sets of short drinking glasses as well as 2 sets of tall. The short glasses were set out almost immediately but the tall "were on back order". I still have not received the tall glasses nor am I able to find out when/if they ever will be. I have called customer service--first time I was told they would be in and set out for delivery on August 2nd. Called again when that didn't happen and was told a new date of August 6th. Called again when that didn't happen and am now being told August 17th. Maybe. In the meantime, I received an email ad that the short glasses are now on sale! Talk about adding insult to injury! Why do they sell products that they don't have and don't know if they ever will have?

Hello Gail,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of this experience. Would you please email your order number and details to support@potterybarn.com? We are here to help.

Kimi T.

Resolution response: Aug. 5, 2021

Resolved. Found the part in the second replacement shipment.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Ordered a Pottery Barn flush mount schoolhouse pendant in nickel finish. Light arrived without the part to secure the glass globe to the fixture (it is the one with the screws, Pottery Barn...the one with the screws). Customer service rep had difficulty understanding what was needed. Sent hardware a second time. Still did not include the missing piece. Called customer service a second time. They sent a complete light kit this time. Still missing the part. You can literally see the missing part in the catalog/site photos but apparently cannot get the actual part shipped to you. So now I have 2.5 schoolhouse lights kits and zero parts needed to complete the installation. Do not order this light if you intend to actually install it. And Pottery Barn, DO NOT CONTACT ME with your helpful suggestions to call your customer service department. They were not helpful though they tried.

Hi David,

We thank you for reaching out. Would you please email us your order details to support@potterybarn.com and include your Consumer Affairs review number? Our elevated support team is here to help.

Sincerely,

Charlene V.

Pottery Barn

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

We ordered two cabinets on May 17, 2021. Delivery was to June 14-28th. On June 23 one cabinet arrived. I had to make several calls to try to get someone to address the problem. In add they would not take the cabinet upstairs. I had scheduled a plumber to come the next day. Pottery Barn finally ordered a replace vanity (they said at no cost to me-really). The new cabinet arrived on July 28 and again they would not take it upstairs like I had been promised. I had to pay for two movers to come and an extra trip for my plumber to install the cabinet. Each time I reached out to pottery barn I was assured that someone would contact me within 24-48 hours. Never happened. Do yourself a big favor and run from this place. The cabinets were just ok. I accepted them because I couldn’t be without a vanity and the measurements were already calculated in the remodel. Buyer beware.

Hello Carmen,

Kimi T.

Pottery Barn

Original review: July 31, 2021

We place an order for a sofa at the beginning of April and it has been delayed or push back a total of four times. Per the latest update we will not see this so far until mid October…maybe. We understand the delays in the industry but the subpar customer service is inexcusable. We have contacted customer service several times and were told that we would be contacted as to the reasons for the delays and never received calls back as stated to update us on the delays. We only found out about the delays by checking the status online.

Hello Erica,

I sincerely apologize your order has been delayed! Please email our elevated support team at support@potterybarn.com with your order number and details, and we will investigate this for you. Thank you!

Original review: July 30, 2021

Updated on 08/02/2021: I ordered a king duvet with shams and a white quilt ($279) and shams to match. I received the quilt 1st two days after ordering. It wasn’t in a bag other than the FedEx bag. It had a ribbon around it. I knew something was wrong immediately. It was a very dull off white. Then I noticed gray fuzzy lint all over it! The bedding tags were half coming apart and were wrinkled. I could tell it had been washed more than once. I called to report it. All the customer service lady could do is email me a return label. At the end of the call she told me “I HOPE YOU HAVE A BETTER REST OF YOUR DAY!” I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT PURCHASING BEDDING ONLINE. They obviously resell all returns even if it has been used!

Original Review: I ordered a new set of linens for our bedroom. Only 2 days later I received my first package. I was home when it came. I opened up the FedEx package. As soon as I opened it, I was in shock! My “new quilt” ($279) was not in a sealed bag. Just the FedEx wrapper. The tags that say “don’t remove“ are torn, frayed and bent. There are gray fuzzy lint balls all over. It isn’t white, it is very off white. It looks like it has been washed multiple times. I put it back in the ripped open FedEx bag and washed my hands ASAP! When my husband came home, I gave him the FedEx bag and asked him to look inside. He was in disbelief that Pottery Barn sent us this as well! He wants to bring it into the store personally and get to the bottom of this! We will NEVER purchase linens online from Pottery Barn again. We will have to see it first.

Hello Mary,

I am so very sorry you received a less than stellar quilt! If you need further assistance on this order please send us an email to support@potterybarn.com. Thank you.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I ordered a sectional along with other pieces and now after I have paid for the sectional that showed as being ready to deliver, I am told that they lost a piece of it in the warehouse. Their solution is to deliver 2/3 of the sectional next week and reorder the 3rd piece for delivery in November. When I talked to someone about the missing piece I was told “items are always lost, I know of a table that was lost for 4 months." They act like it is no big deal. This stuff is not cheap so you should receive excellent customer service. Very disappointed. I have another order pending on back order and I am close to canceling that order.

Hello Anita,

I sincerely apologize there is a missing piece to your order! Please email our elevated support team at support@potterybarn.com with your order number and details, and we will investigate this for you. Thank you!

Pottery Barn Company Information