Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores
3.09/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores

Looking for a good furniture store?

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Reviews

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I ordered bedroom suites including mattresses and adjustable bases, recliners, kitchen table/chair set, end table and lamp. I paid for the WHITE GLOVE Delivery. White Glove means you must have your rooms cleared for the delivery, which I did. When the delivery arrived they sweat all over the furniture. They set up the dressers and base and even brought the mattress protector...but they forgot the mattress on the dock. They told me it was too late to get the mattress delivered that day. I called Customer Service and texted my saleslady. I was very unhappy having to sleep on the couch after spending over $6,000 and paying for WHITE GLOVE full customer satisfaction treatment. The manager insisted I drive to Mathis Bros Furniture that night so he could strap the mattress on top of my little Nissan.

Being a senior citizen with back problems I told him I couldn't possibly unload and move the mattress into my home. What did I pay the WHITE GLOVE delivery charge for? He suggested I get a neighbor to help me unload the mattress. Can you imagine driving through Tulsa at night with a mattress tied to a little Nissan? What a ridiculous solution! Then the manager says he'll give me $200 back on my credit card and deliver the mattress next day. The saleslady called back but only to tell me "it wasn't her fault". The mattress was delivered the next day. The credit wasn't applied to my card so I called. The manager tried to change the agreement and just wanted to give me an in-store gift certificate to buy more from Mathis. I insisted on the credit because I will never set foot inside Mathis or Ashley store again.

The cashier promised to call me back because another manager had to authorize the credit. She never called back. The next day I called again and after a long wait on the phone I got a commitment for the credit. Mathis WHITE GLOVE delivery "providing the industry's best customer service is our priority" and "exceeding your expectations" statements on their website is a joke! The service was horrible and they should be embarrassing to employ managers who handle botched deliveries so poorly.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello TC- We apologize about the recent experience you had with our delivery service and Management. If you can please email us your sales order number or phone number associated with this purchase; we'd like to research this and address with everyone involved. Thank you for your business.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Sale went great in the store. I have a bad back and neck so have to be careful in mattress purchase. Laid on about 5 or 6 beds and knew instantly (in my budget) which bed to get it felt SO GOOD. Get it delivered the next day. That all went very well except sales lady did not tell me I was suppose to buy railing for the bed riser. She said it would fit my current headrest. Instantly laying on the bed I knew this was going to be bad. It felt like I was sleeping on concrete. So hard it actually was unbelievable the different not at all the same mattress I laid on in the store. Complained to sales rep. She sent her boss out and of course he said it feels just like the bed in the store. I said 'well I guess I will mark it up as my loss'. He left pretty much short and sweet. Mathis Brothers could care less about an older lady with neck and back issues. Hope if this does not happen to their mom.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

7/5/19 Ashley Home Store-Tulsa. Purchased $2k+ of furniture. 7/6/19 Picked up order at the local Mathis Furniture warehouse, where the first batch was sent back because of damaged corners. Second batch; covered up with foam cover and plastic; no damage seen without removal of covers. Never have seen such a horrible job done of loading furniture, etc. in my life; sofa and love seat were loaded in my truck without having the ropes tied to the bed.. furniture had to be unloaded and reloaded again to fix that. Worst warehouse loading workers I’ve ever seen; not trained at all.

Made it home with the furniture, unloaded the furniture with the help of 2 other people to the garage. Removed the plastic covers and miraculously found damage on the furniture. Damage that was caused prior to the pick up. Called 1-855-294-3434 to inform them about the damage. I was told to load them up again and return them for an exchange.. 1) I was not about to load up the furniture and do this again. 2) They actually told me that it would be 2-3 weeks before they had sofa or love seat in because I had just taken the last set. Decided to go to the Mathis Brothers store to see if I could talk to a manager and figure this out.

Talked to Charles - Sales Manager and express my concern and informed him that this should never happen to a customer. I requested an exchange and concession for the inconvenience and horrible customer service I was receiving.. of course he ignored my request for a concession and only guaranteed me an exchange by the end of the month (end of July).

Yesterday 8/3/19, a little after the end of July but definitely August. I decided to visit Mathis Brothers to see why no one had ever called to update me on the exchange. Talked to D’Adrain - Sales Manager and explained the whole situation and he offered me a $200 gift card if I went ahead and exchanged the furniture out just as it was supposed to happen by the end of July. I told him that I didn’t want a gift card because I didn’t want to ever shop at Mathis Brothers ever again because of this horrible experience. He said, "No, that’s the best you’ll get and you’re lucky that you’re getting that". I expressed my concerned and told him that I didn’t want the gift card and he said to return what I had but that I would pay 10% restocking fee. What? Why?? The furniture was damaged; why does 10% have to be deducted from my return.

I asked to talk to another manager and he said that he was the manger and that if I talked to someone else I wouldn’t even get the gift card and that I would still have to pay the 10% restocking fee. I went ahead and walked to the customer service desk and talked to Ashley, explained the whole situation to her.. again... Surprisingly she could not offer me anything better than what D’Adrain offered but she said that I wouldn’t have to pay a restocking fee because the furniture was damaged!! Finally someone that understands and knows what they are doing.

It is ridiculous how Mathis Brothers trains their managers to be manipulative and unethical like that; why would he lie and say that I would have to pay a restocking fee for damaged furniture? To guilt a customer into keeping the furniture; that’s why. She went ahead and scheduled the exchange for Monday 8/5, I asked her to note down that I wanted a better concession than a gift card and she said a manager would call me.

Today (8/4) I’ve been in communication with David ** - Sales Manager? from the Ashley store here in Tulsa. I have explained to him the situation and he has attempted to acquire a better concession for me, but after talking with the Ashley customer service they said that they would not do anything else for me. David ** also expressed how his hands were tied and that he wish he could do more knowing all the trouble I was going through.

Mathis Brothers/Ashley Home Store why do you treat your customers like this? Is this normal? Do you train your managers to lie and guilt customers into paying for restocking fees that are not valid? Is it normal for you all to have a nice show room and then a crappy warehouse were employees don’t know what they are doing? Is this unethical and horrible customer service practices a normal part of your business?

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response
      We apologize you received damaged products. We are also sorry that you were given misinformation with regards to our restocking fee.
      However, we do not train our managers to be "manipulative and unethical". We try to be upfront and honest as possible. We do understand that you received inaccurate information and we have talked to the reps to clarify.

Our warehouse guys are typically very good. Damage before pickup indicates it was damaged in transit from the vendor. Again, we apologize.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

This has gone from ridiculous to insane! My sister and I bought a sofa and loveseat. Now mind you these were not light weight! They both have recliners at both ends and are electronically controlled. So they are heavy! We are both in our 60's so had no desire to try to move anything so we paid extra for the "white glove delivery". Which we were told would get everything set put together and set up as well as placed where we wanted.

We had everything timed out just perfect. They were to deliver them on Friday and we were moving in to our condo we just purchased on Saturday so I sat at the condo for quite some time waiting on them. They finally arrive (late), unload the love seat, set it up and all went well. Then they unload the sofa and here is where things start to go bad! They put it together but it wouldn’t work. They make a call and say they have to take it back and won’t be able to bring another one until Monday. So I say wait. We had this all planned out so we would have them here when we move in tomorrow. He apologizes and says he can’t do anything about it. We made some calls. They finally agreed to get it there the next day.

The same guys arrive to deliver it and they are rude and you can tell they are mad! But they unload it and put it together. Then walk out without putting it where it was suppose to go. Now remember I stated this is a heavy sofa. We were not happy but got it where we wanted it and called it good and said well things happen and we went back few days later to get bedroom furniture. We both got heavy duty bedroom furniture. Not cheap either. We pay for it and pay for white glove delivery so they will set it up and everything for us (just as we had the first time). They bring it. Same delivery guys. Get my sisters in and put together (we thought).

I am sitting there watching them bang my headboard on the wall and railing as they are going up stairs. I clear my throat to let them know I am watching. A few minutes later they are coming in the front door with my dresser which they proceed to run right into the doorway. Not only ruining the dresser but also putting a big gouge in the door frame. Ok now I’m really irritated. They don’t say a word but I immediately call the sales manager we met when buying our furniture and told him what had happened. My sister called customer service and we were both told they couldn’t bring it until Tuesday (this happened on Saturday).

Ok now we are really irritated. Linda made several calls to no avail. Then on Sunday she discovered that they did not hook her Usb port up on her night stand. They did on mine but not hers. Then she noticed when they put her bed together they cracked the bed rail. So she calls again and tells them do not send the same delivery people so was told then It would be Thursday. Ok. Fast forward to Wednesday.. We get a call stating that they will have my dresser and her bed rail there around 5. So we feel slightly better now.

Then they arrive and it goes downhill rapidly from there.. One of them was the same guy that had ruined the dresser. they brought the wrong bed rails to start with. Then when Linda pointed out we paid for the white glove delivery so that everything would be set up and in place the guy looks at her and says no.. THAT JUST MEANS WE DON'T GET YOUR ** DIRTY!!!! After another call to customer service and the sales manager they did put the usb port on. However, she had told them where she wanted her bed but they just left it where it was and did not move it. So now they can not get her bed rails here until “Maybe Friday “ is what we were told!

This morning as we were leaving we discovered they had left the storm door open and when we tried to close it discovered they had somehow pulled the hinge from the door frame and it would not close. My sister called and after getting passed around several times and having to repeat the whole long story they did agree to send someone else out with the bed and they would put it together correctly. They will also fix the storm door today. While I do appreciate that I don't feel like it is enough!

I have never in my life written a bad review on anyone. However, this was the most ridiculous fiasco I have ever experienced. It has been almost 2 weeks since this all started and we still don't have everything. We are both in our 60's and thought we had all of our bases covered on getting this all done and we did pay extra for the so called "white glove delivery" so that we wouldn't have to worry about moving things and getting it all set up. What a joke that has been! We had a table and chairs picked out however I believe we will find somewhere else to buy one!!! So Mathis Brothers.. We are done!!! Never again!!!!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Linda- We are disappointed to read this was your experience with our delivery service and apologize for these issues. If you can please email us your sales order number or phone number associated with this purchase to ConsumerAffairs@mathisbrothers.com, we would like to investigate this matter further. Thank you for your business.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I purchased a desk and file cabinet and my grandson took off work (he is a first responder) to pick it up. When I removed the box it was broken. I called and asked to have a replacement delivered and was told no, it has to be picked up. The manager wouldn't even talk to me but relayed the “policy” through the agent. I shouldn’t have to pay a delivery fee to have a replacement delivered. Both items are going back.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Patty - We do apologize that you received a damaged piece. We realize it was not your fault. When a customer pays for delivery, part of the service is replacing damaged pieces. These customers pay for this service. When customers pick up items, it is their responsibility to return items that they may decide isn't a good fit, has damage, etc. This is standard practice. We tried to help by offering to split the delivery fee with you. Again, we apologize the item didn't come in new condition.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mathis Brothers Furniture?

Original review: June 27, 2019

We recently moved about 1 year ago and had purchased brand new living room and dining room furniture at the OKC Mathis Brothers location. We purchased the warranty for the furniture and was told that everything is covered for up to 5 years including damage by children or animals. We recently had a couple a punctures and stitching removed by an animal on the back corner flap of the couch. I requested it to be repaired and contacted the warranty company and provided everything they needed. They told me unfortunately it will not be covered.

They sent me a copy of what it covers and listed it says rips and tears. Does NOT indicate that it cannot be from an animal. There is very minimal damage and the rest of the couch is in perfect condition. The sales reps misinform the buyers and tell them about this great warranty that covers NOTHING. It’s very disappointing to read about all the issues other customers are having about the same issues! I guess next time we will not purchase from them and definitely not buy any kind of scam type warranty. STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT/WORD, it’s not that difficult. They find any excuse not to cover something. I guess it’s a way to get an extra couple hundred dollars and provide no service in return.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response
      We are sorry to hear that you have an issue with sofa and the Furniture Protection Plan. It sounds like there may have been some miscommunication with regards to what is covered. Stains from pets are covered, but not damage. This is listed in the exclusions section of the agreement.

The FPP is definitely not a scam. They pay claims daily based on household accidents such as an accidental rip, stain, burn, puncture, etc. If you can send us your information, we will look further into it.

Original review: June 19, 2019

This place should have ZERO stars. My wife and I purchased a Bernhardt Leather chair and ottoman in May of 2018. The color of the leather is gray and although it was made by a high-line manufacture (Bernhardt) Mathis Brothers has done absolutely NOTHING in trying to resolve this. It was not a cheap leather chair and it looked good for exactly 60 days. Then the dye started rubbing off on the arms of the chair along with parts of the ottoman. We immediately called Mathis Brothers and reported what was going on. We found out that this leather on this chair was NOT "vat dyed" - and apparently only "surfaced dyed", hence why the color was coming off of the chair.

To have a high line company such as Bernhardt not "vat dye" their leather is completely unheard of. Of course, the horrible customer service department at Mathis Brothers acted concerned for us in the beginning... and kept this nightmare going for months and months with no resolution. Finally, they said they would send a technician out to "repaint the leather"!!! I have never in my life ever heard of anything so stupid! We will NEVER purchase anything again from this fraudulent company. Ethan Allen in Pasadena would NEVER have treated us in this manner. We will not be back to Mathis Brothers!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Brad- We are sorry to read about the issues you are having with your furniture. Certain collections Bernhardt does vat dye and others surface dye and apologize this was not conveyed to you during purchase. Please send us your sales order number or phone number associated with your purchase. We'd like to look into this further. Thank you for your business.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Wow, I see from reading other reviews that I’m not the only person having a hard time getting the Furniture Protection Plan to repair items that should be covered. DO NOT PURCHASE IT. Like other reviewers, we were told the Furniture Protection Plan was a must and covered “anything” that may accidentally happen to our investment. Recently we had several toddlers over playing with our 3 year old. They ended up bumping into our wood dresser, nightstand, and bed with toys causing numerous scuff marks.

We assumed it would be covered because we contacted them and made a claim 2 days after it happened. We were told “FPP does not cover more than one spot of damage to an item per your contract.” WHAT?! Even though I gave all the details and called within the 5 day time period, my furniture will NOT be fixed because it incurred more than 1 scratch. What a joke. Please save yourself several hundred dollars and do not buy their deceptive, non paying Furniture Protection Plan.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Diane- We apologize that your claim through Furniture Protection was denied. After reviewing the photos with our Management Team, the numerous damages that occurred will not allow for any claim to move forward for processing. Due to this, we will be refunding the amount paid for the Protection Plan back to you. If there is anything else we can do for you please let us know. Thank you for your business.

Original review: June 4, 2019

Our in store experience was great. However we bought in May and asked for delivery in June. Upon delivery day the truck arrived with 2 dressers and a mattress, no bed, no night stands and no mount for tv that goes on dresser. No one bothered to call and tell us these were on back order, and so we're sleeping on a mattress on the floor. We keep getting a new delivery date with no delivery in sight. Every time I call I'm told they are trying, but still no bed to sleep on.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Judy- We apologize you were not made aware your merchandise was not in stock. Unfortunately the arrival dates provided to us by the manufacture can change and we have no control if they do. You should have been contacted immediately and we will get with our staff to see why this was not done. We are expecting this shipment to arrive late next week. Thank you for your business.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I posted a complaint on a salesperson at Mathis Brothers selling us a fraudulent warranty. Mathis Brothers responded in a timely manner saying they would refund our warranty. Which was wonderful, however they have not sent us a refund or contacted us in any way.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Company Information