2. Homeowners

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores

3.8/5 (163 ratings)

About Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mathis Brothers Furniture?

Original review: April 11, 2021

Purchased two custom couches from Irvine location in late May/early June 2020. Very delayed in delivery but we were accepting of this due to covid and shipping issues. Paid for half of the cost at purchase with other half to be paid before delivery. Mathis Bros stated that couches would be ready in late August. Received call very last minute demanding payment as couches would be delivered the next day. So couches were delivered very last minute. ****Custom couches only have 7 days warranty***. This is not discussed at purchase. They do not allow time for reading materials before signing.

We were assured Bernhardt couches are top of the line with no sagging and springs are sound/good. Two-three months after we had the couches they started to sag. We called for an evaluation and the tech said they could not do anything. Now April 2021 two springs are broken. We called to have the couch be repaired. They refused to have the couch picked up due to our kids having gotten it dirty. It’s lived in, a light material and we have kids. Now we are having to schedule someone to clean our couch! We bought the cleaning package as well but I am sure that there is a loop hole with the cleaning as well. We are so dissatisfied and frustrated. As of right now we will never purchase from Mathis brothers again, and will never refer anyone to Mathis brothers.

Original review: March 7, 2021

STAY AWAY!!! BUYER BEWARE!!! When we went into the store, the shopping experience was good. We were looking for a sofa, but could not find one that worked for us. We decided to order a custom leather reclining sofa. It was much more money that we had planned on spending ($7k) but it was beautiful and fit our needs. The salespeople were very helpful... This was OCTOBER. We finally received the Sofa at the end of FEBRUARY. This is when the NIGHTMARE began. **They delivered the sofa Friday night at 6:30pm and the delivery crew was in a hurry to finish for the night. They placed the sofa and left. We sat down, reclined the sofa - and it stopped working - that was it. It is now stuck fully reclined in the middle of my living room!

After 21 phone calls and hours talking to "customer service", all we have learned is that we might have an ETA on the parts in a few weeks and that it MIGHT TAKE UP TO 12 WEEKS TO FIX. Did I mention that the sofa is stuck fully reclined in the middle of the room. So, we are stuck with no resolution in sight. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE AND SPEND LESS MONEY FOR BETTER SERVICE!!!!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Joseph - We apologize that this was not handled properly. We will have a manager contact you today to get this resolved. Thank you.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I have not received my furniture but already have decided we will not purchase from Mathis Brothers again. Our sales rep was wonderful. Then came two days of trying to get to customer service to pay the balance of our purchase and schedule a delivery date. On 2/4, I waited for 1 hour and 52 minutes and no one ever answered the phone. On 2/5, once again I called and was transferred multiple times and call was disconnected 3 times. I finally started calling every phone # I could find on the website and after several calls I was asked to call the Irvine store (no they couldn't transfer me or provide a phone #). With difficulty I finally reached the store manager and while it took another hour payment was made and delivery scheduled. In the meantime, I had my cell phone on hold for 3 hours on the customer service line and no one every answered (the hold music is terrible). I sure hope there aren't any problem with delivery or the product.

Resolution response: Dec. 29, 2020

Although the company finally offered to let me reselect a replacement they only did so after the Better Business Bureau got involved in the matter. Every time I tried to work with them I was meant with rudeness or more delays. I would never do business there again. I should never have had to get the Better Business Bureau involved to get the matter taken care of, let alone go through 2 months of stress trying to get the company to deliver what I had already paid for!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

In October 2020 I purchased 2 bedroom sets and a living room set. I was told it would be delivered on Oct 30, 2020. When the furniture was delivered they were short 2 night stands, a media chest, and an ottoman. One month later I finally received the 2 night stands... and have told every week that next week the media chest would be delivered... So far I have been told that 7 weeks in a row. Here it is Dec 28, 2020 and I am now told that it will be Jan 17, 2021 for the media chest and ottoman. 4 months after the purchase! They want me to cancel the order.. but then I would have an incomplete set.. I told them I would exchange the set for one of the same price that was complete... but they won't do that because it's been over 60 days.... HELLO... you are the one that has made it over 60 days by not delivering! WHY would I want an incomplete set!!! This company should be shut down for doing fraudulent business!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

We apologize for the delay. Most all manufacturers are running into delays. The dates we give are the dates we get from the manufacturers. We actually offered to reselect and it was accepted, so all should be good!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I purchased a 2 piece custom sectional exactly 2 years ago and a protection plan. My well cared for sectional started tearing at the seams in multiple sections. I figured I was covered since I purchased a protection plan. It turns out this warranty doesn’t cover this tear because it’s at the seam. Don’t buy furniture here. It’s very expensive but cheaply made.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

So I decided to order a whole new living room set! I was so excited since it had been 12 years since my last one! I shopped around and loved a set at Mathis Bros in Ontario. I decided to order online and ended up speaking with a customer service rep Summer! She was very helpful and I asked her when the furniture would be in and she said for sure on June 21st. I ordered on June 2nd. I asked her if that was a hair enter because we were going to sell our old furniture and she said yes!! So sold all our old furniture and expected our new set end of June. Well June 21st came and no contact so I had to contact them. They said dates got pushed to 28th. "Ok well can you contact me then and let me know! "They said yes.

So June 28th came and no contact so I again contacted them and they said it got pushed back to July 5th. All of course due to Covid. Which I understand and that’s exactly why I asked for a guarantee on delivery before I purchased and paid up front for all 7 pieces and warranties. So I asked to speak with a manager. A manager told me that half the furniture was in the warehouse and he could have it delivered for no charge because I already paid for delivery up front for the whole thing. So I said, "Ok thank you" so I would at least have something. So delivery was confirmed for Friday July 3rd between 10-12. So husband took day off work with no pay to be here. Delivery never showed. I called around 1:00 and they said, "Let me look into it and I’ll call you back."

They never did so I called again at 3:00. Same response from customer service. They never called back. I called again at 5:00 and and refused to get off the phone until someone told me what was going on and apparently our furniture never made it on the truck for delivery!!! I was furious. We waited all day and they never contacted us. We had to contact them!!! I decided to go to warehouse the next day to pick up and waited an hour because they couldn’t find my furniture. While waiting I called customer service and decided to cancel my other delivery for the second half and we would just pick up!

I asked for a refund and they made me call the accountant instead of them contacting me but whatever so I did and when they tried to refund me I found out they tried to sneak in a double charge for their club membership so beware and double check your charges. So they cleared that up. So July 5th and still no furniture and no contact. I called again and they said it got pushed to early August!! Mind you we ended up having to rent furniture because we had nothing to sit on in our main family room so we were now out even more money. Early August my husband called and got a hold of our original sales rep and he explained that we have been paying monthly for rentals and needed the furniture by the 28th so we wouldn’t have to renew another month.

She said again, "I guarantee it will be in by the 28th and I will refund you $100 and give you free delivery!" The 28th of August came and I received a text that our furniture is in and we can pick up but never received the credit and free delivery was supposed to be arranged. My husband called at least ten times between that date and today and could never contact Summer and never got a call back and could never reach a manager apparently. This morning we were on the phone for an hour trying to reach a manager to ask why they weren’t accommodating what was promised. We finally reached internet manager Marcus and he was so rude to us and told us “we never told you to rent furniture."

He didn’t want to give us delivery for free even though his sales consultant guaranteed it. We had to bicker back and forth until he reluctantly agreed to have it dropped at front door and not in our home unless we paid $25. Seriously you wouldn’t even give us a $25 delivery and set up in home. So we arranged for this Sunday the 6th for delivery at the door because I will never give this company another penny. The worst customer service I have ever dealt with!!!! Please don’t but from this company and I asked him, "So you are just allowing your sales staff to lie to your customers and it’s ok"!!! And he had no response!!! Just "This is all we can do"!!! Buyers beware!!!! Completely ruined my whole excitement over new furniture and I was planning on getting a new kitchen table from them but not now!!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

Disappointed with this company. Had one daughter have a rough time with problem furniture but FINALLY accepted the resolution. (???) Fast forward a couple of yrs. Second daughter needed some furniture...we gave them a second chance. Even crappier customer service and furniture. Keep in mind ... paid extra for white glove delivery service... not sure what that gave us....and listened to the salesman when he convinced us to buy the non-Ashley furniture b/c it was so much better furniture...

After reporting problems 2 days after delivery... therefore within their 7 day window.... they didn’t replace the furniture... just kept sending techs who kept trying to say it was how it was set in room, etc. I’m talking at LEAST 5 times that family members had to take off work to meet them, bottom of couch finally taken in, parts backlogged for months, etc, plus every time it was brought back there was even more damage which someone tried to cover up with a sticker. Never just replaced the couch.... now... after constant contact with Mathis... a supervisor said she could only give store credit... This is BS and total horrible customer service. We will warn anyone we know about this crappy company... would rate 0 stars if could.

Original review: July 20, 2020

After spending thousands of dollars in Mathis Brothers, we are beyond disappointed. We had to cancel some items and have been waiting on items as well. We have been lied to numerous times about when things would be in store to be delivered. We just had a delivery today. It was our dining table we’ve been waiting on. One item. Nothing else. They had one job and they “forgot” a piece at the store so they couldn’t put our table together. The drivers made a call to confirm the piece was at the store. They said they would be back in a couple hours to put things together with the piece. After hours of phone calls that were ignored, I called the store, only to be told that I was lied to and that the piece was on back order. I would never recommend anyone to use them.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Julie, I apologize for the delayed response and lack of communication regarding your order and missing pieces, as well as any miscommunication as to the availability of the merchandise. These are unprecedented times and we have experienced many delays due to COVID and the delay in production. The dates we are given come directly from the manufacturer as to when they believe they can get the merchandise delivered. All delivery dates are estimated. I apologize for any confusion.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I was disappointed in my 1st experiences with Mathis Brothers. I shopped at the Irvine store. I couldn't get one things delivered accurately and/or timely. I did my order on mid of June 2020 and my items scheduled to deliver by end of June (Two weeks after). For living room, they delivered the love seat and I just got an update for the sofa to be in August. For the bed room they scheduled the bed frame by September 3 months late. Don't shop with them. They will give you fake dates just to keep selling. I don't trust them at all. I will tell all my friend and family for my worst experience ever for buying furniture.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Peter, We apologize if you felt you were misled. The dates you were given come from the manufactures. Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, many of the manufacturers have experienced shutdowns or severe delays in production. The dates given to us are their best estimate as to when they believe they can fulfill an order and have the merchandise delivered to our warehouse. We apologize if this was not explained. If you need any assistance, please email us at CustomerRelations@mathisbrothers.com.

Original review: July 10, 2020

We purchased a $2100 La-Z-Boy recliner. The chair broke (a solid steel weld failed) in April. We have waited four months and still have not received information as to when the chair would be repaired or even if they will honor the warranty. We have made numerous contacts with customer service to have some ignored (receiving no feedback). When we are able to connect we are told that due to the Covid 19 virus things are delayed. At the very least, we expect to be kept in the loop and given a time frame as to when repairs will be made.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response
    Patrick - We apologize for the lack of communication you're getting. If you could please send us your customer number and/or the name and phone number on your account, we will look into it and see what we can do to get a quick resolution.
    We are seeing delays as manufacturers all shut down for as long as two months which delayed production and shipping. But we are starting to receive more parts and products.

Please send your information to CustomerRelations@mathisbrothers.com. Thank you.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Company Information