3.33/5
  • 1 star
Based on 15 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 23, 2017

15 Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

We had met Aaron previously while looking around. I contacted him by phone and he helped me for a week getting the right furniture we needed for our home. He went above and beyond the normal customer service to help me over the phone.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I would like to start by saying days ago when I first started my sofa repair journey, all I wanted was to have it repaired. Now more than a week later after my initial contact to your customer service team I am severely disgruntled and would just like a refund. I initially bought my first sofa from your Ontario location as I was referred by a friend who could not say enough good things about your store and furniture quality. I made my selection and was initially pleased with my experience. My couch was beautiful and I received lots of compliments. I made my purchase in October 2016. By April my sofa had already broken, the support beam in the back had broken in two... I have no children and have relatively low couch usage so this was an extreme annoyance but I understand things happen.

I made my repair complaint and was told by Mathis Brothers customer service that a repair would be scheduled and completed in my home. The day the tech came to repair my sofa he literally just took the couch apart and made an assessment. He stated that after he made his report that it would then be decided if a repair would be made or that I would receive a replacement. It was decided that the couch would be replaced. When the tech was at my house he commented that the support beam wasn’t sturdy enough for the size of the sofa. Knowing this I felt like if I got the same sofa it would be a matter of time before it too was broken. I opted to pay even more and get a new sofa. I was told that I would need to return my original couch to the location before I could pick up my new couch.

Upon arriving at the store, couch in tow, I had some very confused customer service techs, apparently I shouldn’t have brought the couch back and that a delivery team should have brought the new couch out and made an exchange. This was not what was conveyed to me. I have had my new couch for 3 months and the seams are already ripping. I am beyond irritated at this point. I have expelled more energy than what is necessary on furniture. I tried emailing your customer service team in Ontario. I filled out the form on your website and asked to be contacted, when my email went unanswered. I eventually called and spoke with a Valerie who stated that she could help me but that their email was down but I could send one anyway. I sent two separate emails two separate days. Neither of those were received or answered either.

Today 10/20/2017 I called the store location once again to try and rectify this situation. I was met with aggression and hostility as well as a customer service rep. that kept cutting me off when I was trying to tell my story. Sometimes letting a customer vent is in your best interest. Sometimes a customer just wants to be heard. I was not heard. I was cut off and interrupted. I asked to speak with the manager and was told without an order number the manager would not speak with me without an order number. I asked to transfer anyway. Once I had the manager Michelle **, and she too started the conversation with hostility, she too cut me off and wouldn’t let me finish my sentences. She finally looked up my order based off my phone number as I asked the previous rep to do and said she would fill a repair request for me.

At this point I was obviously upset after spending days plus an additional 25 minutes on the phone with individuals not interested in helping me. I finally said I just wanted my money back and that the couch can be returned. She said that was not in their policy that after 7 days there is no longer a money back guarantee, and my only option is a repair or store credit. I told her I absolutely would not take store credit that I don’t feel like the furniture is of any kind of quality. She said that stuff happens with wear and tear and can’t control, and that there are many vendors with different levels of quality. I understand that there is differences of quality. That’s why I didn’t opt for the $500 Ashley couch and I went to Mathis and paid over $2000 for my sofa. Correct me if I am wrong but a good piece of furniture should last more than a year, and both pieces I have gotten haven’t lasted more than a few months.

At this point I completely understand your return policy as I feel your furniture is of substandard quality and will continue to break over and over. I told Michelle I wanted to speak with corporate and she said that it wouldn’t make a difference that they would just refer me back to her, and refused to give me their contact information. I also told her that at this point in my grievance I am not just upset about the poor quality in furniture that I am disappointed in the way I have been treated and that I at the very least deserve to be treated with dignity and respect when I call and I absolutely was not.

To this point in my experience I have had to make 4 trips to your store. I have taken 24 hours of no paid time off to deal with furniture mostly because I was given wrong information by your customer service team. I am now going to have to take off another 8 hours, making it a full 32 hours, for another repair to your product. Almost enough time to purchase a new piece of furniture. This is absurd. I understand that life happens as your manager rudely pointed out to me, but here I am going on almost a full week not paid because of your shootee product. I do not know anyone else who has had to put so much effort into furniture.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Purchased a power recliner including the furniture protection plan. The chair broke 2 weeks later. It took 2 weeks to get a repair person to come look at the chair and they didn't have any parts. Mathis Brothers said it will take another month to get the parts to fix the chair. I would consider their very slow service response and lack of parts for repairs before spending $100+ for a protection plan. It isn't worth the cost.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

On June 10, 2017 I purchased a bedroom set, dresser, mirror, chest, 2 nightstands and a bed. 90 days later the bed broke, I called customer service. I was told the bed was discontinued, go online and find a bed of equal or greater value because they would not be able to give me the difference. I called back and told them I did not find anything that would match my bedroom set, nor that I liked or could afford. I was told although the bed had a one year warranty my only other option was to receive store credit. I told them I don't need store credit. I NEED A BED...

If the bed has a one year warranty and you can't replace a broken bed, why can't I have my money back so I can buy what I want, where I want. The bed alone was $514.93. Their response if I can't find another bed that I like use the store credit and buy something else. I DON'T NEED SOMETHING ELSE... I NEED A BED... IT DOES HAVE A ONE YEAR WARRANTY!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I went to their store July 3rd and purchased a La-Z-boy recliner, dresser, 2 nightstands, and a queen size bed with mattress. I wanted the bed frame in a different color than the ones they had on display at the store, so the salesman told me it would have to be a special order and would come in about 6 weeks. Everything else was already ready, so I requested not to receive the mattress until I had the frame to put it on and the salesman said that was no problem. They said that if we didn't take the recliner that day that there would be an additional delivery charged to the account (seemed weird but it was able to fit in the car we had).

The dresser and nightstands came the next day with no problems. I received an Email saying that the bed was ready to be delivered the 2nd week of August so I scheduled the delivery. When it arrived there was only the mattress portion of my order. When I called customer service they said the bed frame would not be available until OCTOBER and that I could either wait or get another bed. So now I'm stuck with a mattress and nowhere to put it. They have made this process so confusing and time consuming for me having to wait around for deliveries. Wish I had just gone and got everything from somewhere else!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores?

Original review: May 8, 2017

I custom ordered a large sectional and loveseat. As soon as it was delivered (which was later than I was told it would be) I knew it didn't have the quality as the one I Sat on in the showroom. In fact I really don't believe it is even the same sectional as the one I Sat on in their showroom. I called right away to see if I could somehow change out the material (inside the cushions) at my expense if necessary or if there was anything else that could be done. It sags in the middle of each cushion and the back cushions never look good. I am continually trying to fluff and fix them. I'm so disappointed with my sofa.

I called customer service several times to try to find a solution that we both could be satisfied with but they basically said "tough luck". I am so surprised with their customer service department. I really liked the salesperson that helped me but don't know if I'll go back to Mathis Brothers because of my experience. If I ever go back it will be because of the salesperson and not because of the cooperation of the company. Before you buy anything from them make sure you stay on top of things and read the fine print. Because once you get it they won't help you!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

I needed to purchase a couch and had a very specific style in mind. When I walked in and wandered around a bit, I found the perfect one. It was customizable so I was able to choose the fabric, cushion and arm style, and bottom trim. There are an overwhelming amount of options in this store (it's huge) and even a lot of options with this particular couch, but if you go in with an idea of what you want, they can help you find it. I also found rug that I wanted, and the salesman said that I got a seven day trial with it in my space and if I didn't think it looked good I could return it for a full refund. He advised that I should wait to take the rug home until I got the couch, so we planned on having them delivered together.

I placed the order for the couch and rug and was given a ship date of four weeks. Four weeks later and I didn't hear anything, so I called the store to check on the status. They said it was currently on a truck and should arrive at the store the next day. I called back two days later, expecting it to be at the store and ready for delivery, but they said they couldn't locate the couch. I went to the store and spoke with the salesman and he assured me that it was going to be at their store that week and ready for weekend delivery. So we scheduled delivery for a Saturday. They give you a delivery window of a few hours, so you have to be at your home for that time frame. When they arrived, they delivered just the rug. The couch had still not come in yet. I called and we agreed that they would take the delivery charge off of the order for the inconvenience.

I eventually got my couch two weeks after the time frame the salesman gave. I missed out on the seven day window to return my rug, but I like it in the space so that worked out fine. I'm thankful that they took the delivery charge off the order, but I would have liked for them to have given me real information from the beginning. They set my expectations high and did not meet them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

The salesperson was very helpful in finding what I wanted to buy. He showed me a lot of items to look at that were different style of what I want. I live at least 70 miles from where their store is located. I was surprised they gave fast delivery in three days. The people that deliver for them were really good and I didn't have to pay a lot for them to deliver what I ordered. I was looking for a sectional couch and a leather recliner arm chair. I wanted the couch and recliner chair to match. The salesperson took me to several different areas of the store to pick out sectional couch. The recliner leather chair was easier to find what I wanted. The sectional was a lot of money but was made of good material that would last a long time. You get what you pay for there. The leather recliner chair came in five different colors so I had to pick what I wanted.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

The people there are very friendly and knowledgeable. They are courteous and respectful. They are easy going and not pushy at all. They are happy to help and know just where everything is in their store. They are happy to work with you on a delivery date and time that works for you. I was able to get my sofa delivered after I got off work and they were right on time even though I live about thirty miles out of town. The selection that they have is very large. They have a good selection of furniture in varying price ranges. I found the styles to be both modern and classic. They really do have something for everyone. The quality of furniture that they have is very good compared to the pricing. You really feel like you are getting what you paid for. They have options that were very wide and I found just what I was looking for.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2016

They were there when I had a question and were able to get back to me and respond in a timely manner so that I was already done early than I thought I would be. It got there right after my work day so that I could relax and test my new couch out that night and have a good evening to myself without stress. A good selection of colors, patterns and materials that gave me options to personalize my relaxation station at home how I wanted to myself. It was a really sturdy variety that I tested and I thought they could hold up weight well enough for a fat man and figured that must make them pretty good.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

Salesman was very knowledgeable and very helpful. He made shopping for furniture a pleasant experience. Furniture was of good quality. The store is nicely laid out. I would have preferred free delivery but being 35 miles away we had to pay a delivery charge. The delivery itself was fine. The delivery men were nice. The delivery truck was nice. Their store is huge and they have furniture that meets everyone's budget. There is both an upstairs and downstairs. There is also a snack area. There is also an affordable gifts department. They have excellent quality furniture. The variety includes living, bedroom, dining room and office. Couches, chairs, tables, entertainment centers, mattresses, and accessories.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

Their customer service is so good, I can't wait to go back there and buy more furniture. Great selection, great pricing. I'm going to tell some people about it so they can go and spend their money. I really enjoyed that delivery options they said they can come any day at any time, no questions asked and they have free delivery so buy all the stuff you want to go deliver to your house.

They have a million couches, thousands of tables, thousands of chairs, thousands of cabinets, thousands of beds, thousands of Hassocks. I never seen so much stuff. All my friends want to go there and buy. Their quality blows every other chain off the market, best price and best quality, best of everything, best customer service, best delivery options.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

Very nice. Didn't really know much about the furniture itself, but still got what I needed done. Very cool people working in there. Slightly laid back. Asked what I needed but that was about it. The people were very polite and careful and placed the furniture exactly to my liking, which was nice. There was also an option for you to move the furniture by yourself, but I decided that was too much work for me. All of their furniture was in the same sort of style. Which I was okay with since it was so nice anyways. But not much variety other than that... I would describe the style as more modern-contemporary. It had great quality, which is better for how much I paid. Definitely worth it. Although not long after I bought my furniture, a little piece of cloth from the couch came off.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

People there are extremely friendly! Whatever problem you may have, they will fix it at once! Why go to a different store, when there is one that make you feel at home! Fast and convenient delivery. They give you a large list of options to chose from to suit your needs! They also pack everything carefully to prevent damage! There are sets on sale for every liking! You can be sure to find something you like quickly upon arrival! Best quality products. You won't find anything comparable elsewhere. It is the best! No doubt!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

Customer service was fantastic. They were very willing to help me find everything I needed and more. They made me feel important and not a burden. My husband and I were very happy with their delivery options. We have a small vehicle so when they offered to deliver to us the next day was a relief. At times it was overwhelming to have so many options but you were really able to see what you liked and didn't like and what would fit with your style. All of the products we have bought from the store have been durable and beautiful. They have lasted a while and fit well with our style.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Company Information