2. Homeowners

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores

3.7/5 (191 ratings)

About Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mathis Brothers Furniture?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I spent about $3800 on a mattress & adjustable base in January. In July after making an honest effort to adjust to the bed, it was too firm. Called to do the exchange as I purchased the additional, mattress cover, pillows & rewards to qualify for the 365 sleep warranty. In July I meet with a district manager to exchange & am told it would be an additional $700 for the exact same mattress in the "softer" version. I requested a returned or clearance model of like quality & price. For MONTHS I texted to get an update & was blown off. I finally called & made a complaint & the next day all of a sudden they had a mattress. Both times we went to select a mattress, we were told how the firm is like concrete & the misconception of firm beds being good for your back. We were never told this at time of purchase.

Get my delivery 10/14/2021 & the paperwork I was finally shown, confirms the mattress I was given is $600 less than my original purchase & does not have all of the features of my original. I contacted the DM to ask could they at least throw in some pillows & was told NO. Instead of reducing their profit & swapping me out for my exact mattress they made me wait 2 1/2 months to get the new one delivered, at not even close to the price or quality & almost bragged that they knew the firm mattress is the most returned mattress they sell. Then a simple gesture of a set of pillows was too much. Will never shop or recommend Mathis Brothers again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Purchased a sofa & loveseat in mid August and was told it would be ready for delivery the first 2 weeks of September. Called to schedule delivery and was told it wouldn’t be ready til late September. Called to schedule delivery and am now being told late October. When I asked to cancel my order I was transferred around for over an hour and eventually told I would receive a call back from my salesperson… A week later and still no call. This company is the used car lot of furniture stores. Beware, and do not shop here!!

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

On 9/3/2021 I bought a Purple mattress and the adjustable base. I was given the wrong merchandise and have tried contacting managers, corporate and no one will help me. I am being discriminated against.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

As newlyweds we were thrilled to purchase our first couch. We have been waiting 9 months with ZERO communication from Mathis brothers. No one will return my calls and Alex the Irvine store manager is ignoring me. I want a refund and to cancel the order. This is crazy. Do not order from Mathis brothers.

Original review: April 11, 2021

Purchased two custom couches from Irvine location in late May/early June 2020. Very delayed in delivery but we were accepting of this due to covid and shipping issues. Paid for half of the cost at purchase with other half to be paid before delivery. Mathis Bros stated that couches would be ready in late August. Received call very last minute demanding payment as couches would be delivered the next day. So couches were delivered very last minute. ****Custom couches only have 7 days warranty***. This is not discussed at purchase. They do not allow time for reading materials before signing.

We were assured Bernhardt couches are top of the line with no sagging and springs are sound/good. Two-three months after we had the couches they started to sag. We called for an evaluation and the tech said they could not do anything. Now April 2021 two springs are broken. We called to have the couch be repaired. They refused to have the couch picked up due to our kids having gotten it dirty. It’s lived in, a light material and we have kids. Now we are having to schedule someone to clean our couch! We bought the cleaning package as well but I am sure that there is a loop hole with the cleaning as well. We are so dissatisfied and frustrated. As of right now we will never purchase from Mathis brothers again, and will never refer anyone to Mathis brothers.

Original review: March 7, 2021

STAY AWAY!!! BUYER BEWARE!!! When we went into the store, the shopping experience was good. We were looking for a sofa, but could not find one that worked for us. We decided to order a custom leather reclining sofa. It was much more money that we had planned on spending ($7k) but it was beautiful and fit our needs. The salespeople were very helpful... This was OCTOBER. We finally received the Sofa at the end of FEBRUARY. This is when the NIGHTMARE began. **They delivered the sofa Friday night at 6:30pm and the delivery crew was in a hurry to finish for the night. They placed the sofa and left. We sat down, reclined the sofa - and it stopped working - that was it. It is now stuck fully reclined in the middle of my living room!

After 21 phone calls and hours talking to "customer service", all we have learned is that we might have an ETA on the parts in a few weeks and that it MIGHT TAKE UP TO 12 WEEKS TO FIX. Did I mention that the sofa is stuck fully reclined in the middle of the room. So, we are stuck with no resolution in sight. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE AND SPEND LESS MONEY FOR BETTER SERVICE!!!!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Joseph - We apologize that this was not handled properly. We will have a manager contact you today to get this resolved. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I have not received my furniture but already have decided we will not purchase from Mathis Brothers again. Our sales rep was wonderful. Then came two days of trying to get to customer service to pay the balance of our purchase and schedule a delivery date. On 2/4, I waited for 1 hour and 52 minutes and no one ever answered the phone. On 2/5, once again I called and was transferred multiple times and call was disconnected 3 times. I finally started calling every phone # I could find on the website and after several calls I was asked to call the Irvine store (no they couldn't transfer me or provide a phone #). With difficulty I finally reached the store manager and while it took another hour payment was made and delivery scheduled. In the meantime, I had my cell phone on hold for 3 hours on the customer service line and no one every answered (the hold music is terrible). I sure hope there aren't any problem with delivery or the product.

Resolution response: Dec. 29, 2020

Although the company finally offered to let me reselect a replacement they only did so after the Better Business Bureau got involved in the matter. Every time I tried to work with them I was meant with rudeness or more delays. I would never do business there again. I should never have had to get the Better Business Bureau involved to get the matter taken care of, let alone go through 2 months of stress trying to get the company to deliver what I had already paid for!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

In October 2020 I purchased 2 bedroom sets and a living room set. I was told it would be delivered on Oct 30, 2020. When the furniture was delivered they were short 2 night stands, a media chest, and an ottoman. One month later I finally received the 2 night stands... and have told every week that next week the media chest would be delivered... So far I have been told that 7 weeks in a row. Here it is Dec 28, 2020 and I am now told that it will be Jan 17, 2021 for the media chest and ottoman. 4 months after the purchase! They want me to cancel the order.. but then I would have an incomplete set.. I told them I would exchange the set for one of the same price that was complete... but they won't do that because it's been over 60 days.... HELLO... you are the one that has made it over 60 days by not delivering! WHY would I want an incomplete set!!! This company should be shut down for doing fraudulent business!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

We apologize for the delay. Most all manufacturers are running into delays. The dates we give are the dates we get from the manufacturers. We actually offered to reselect and it was accepted, so all should be good!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I purchased a 2 piece custom sectional exactly 2 years ago and a protection plan. My well cared for sectional started tearing at the seams in multiple sections. I figured I was covered since I purchased a protection plan. It turns out this warranty doesn’t cover this tear because it’s at the seam. Don’t buy furniture here. It’s very expensive but cheaply made.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

So I decided to order a whole new living room set! I was so excited since it had been 12 years since my last one! I shopped around and loved a set at Mathis Bros in Ontario. I decided to order online and ended up speaking with a customer service rep Summer! She was very helpful and I asked her when the furniture would be in and she said for sure on June 21st. I ordered on June 2nd. I asked her if that was a hair enter because we were going to sell our old furniture and she said yes!! So sold all our old furniture and expected our new set end of June. Well June 21st came and no contact so I had to contact them. They said dates got pushed to 28th. "Ok well can you contact me then and let me know! "They said yes.

So June 28th came and no contact so I again contacted them and they said it got pushed back to July 5th. All of course due to Covid. Which I understand and that’s exactly why I asked for a guarantee on delivery before I purchased and paid up front for all 7 pieces and warranties. So I asked to speak with a manager. A manager told me that half the furniture was in the warehouse and he could have it delivered for no charge because I already paid for delivery up front for the whole thing. So I said, "Ok thank you" so I would at least have something. So delivery was confirmed for Friday July 3rd between 10-12. So husband took day off work with no pay to be here. Delivery never showed. I called around 1:00 and they said, "Let me look into it and I’ll call you back."

They never did so I called again at 3:00. Same response from customer service. They never called back. I called again at 5:00 and and refused to get off the phone until someone told me what was going on and apparently our furniture never made it on the truck for delivery!!! I was furious. We waited all day and they never contacted us. We had to contact them!!! I decided to go to warehouse the next day to pick up and waited an hour because they couldn’t find my furniture. While waiting I called customer service and decided to cancel my other delivery for the second half and we would just pick up!

I asked for a refund and they made me call the accountant instead of them contacting me but whatever so I did and when they tried to refund me I found out they tried to sneak in a double charge for their club membership so beware and double check your charges. So they cleared that up. So July 5th and still no furniture and no contact. I called again and they said it got pushed to early August!! Mind you we ended up having to rent furniture because we had nothing to sit on in our main family room so we were now out even more money. Early August my husband called and got a hold of our original sales rep and he explained that we have been paying monthly for rentals and needed the furniture by the 28th so we wouldn’t have to renew another month.

She said again, "I guarantee it will be in by the 28th and I will refund you $100 and give you free delivery!" The 28th of August came and I received a text that our furniture is in and we can pick up but never received the credit and free delivery was supposed to be arranged. My husband called at least ten times between that date and today and could never contact Summer and never got a call back and could never reach a manager apparently. This morning we were on the phone for an hour trying to reach a manager to ask why they weren’t accommodating what was promised. We finally reached internet manager Marcus and he was so rude to us and told us “we never told you to rent furniture."

He didn’t want to give us delivery for free even though his sales consultant guaranteed it. We had to bicker back and forth until he reluctantly agreed to have it dropped at front door and not in our home unless we paid $25. Seriously you wouldn’t even give us a $25 delivery and set up in home. So we arranged for this Sunday the 6th for delivery at the door because I will never give this company another penny. The worst customer service I have ever dealt with!!!! Please don’t but from this company and I asked him, "So you are just allowing your sales staff to lie to your customers and it’s ok"!!! And he had no response!!! Just "This is all we can do"!!! Buyers beware!!!! Completely ruined my whole excitement over new furniture and I was planning on getting a new kitchen table from them but not now!!!!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Company Information