2. Homeowners

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores

3.8/5 (189 ratings)

About Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mathis Brothers Furniture?

Original review: July 15, 2020

I was disappointed in my 1st experiences with Mathis Brothers. I shopped at the Irvine store. I couldn't get one things delivered accurately and/or timely. I did my order on mid of June 2020 and my items scheduled to deliver by end of June (Two weeks after). For living room, they delivered the love seat and I just got an update for the sofa to be in August. For the bed room they scheduled the bed frame by September 3 months late. Don't shop with them. They will give you fake dates just to keep selling. I don't trust them at all. I will tell all my friend and family for my worst experience ever for buying furniture.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Peter, We apologize if you felt you were misled. The dates you were given come from the manufactures. Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, many of the manufacturers have experienced shutdowns or severe delays in production. The dates given to us are their best estimate as to when they believe they can fulfill an order and have the merchandise delivered to our warehouse. We apologize if this was not explained. If you need any assistance, please email us at CustomerRelations@mathisbrothers.com.

Original review: July 10, 2020

We purchased a $2100 La-Z-Boy recliner. The chair broke (a solid steel weld failed) in April. We have waited four months and still have not received information as to when the chair would be repaired or even if they will honor the warranty. We have made numerous contacts with customer service to have some ignored (receiving no feedback). When we are able to connect we are told that due to the Covid 19 virus things are delayed. At the very least, we expect to be kept in the loop and given a time frame as to when repairs will be made.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response
Patrick - We apologize for the lack of communication you're getting. If you could please send us your customer number and/or the name and phone number on your account, we will look into it and see what we can do to get a quick resolution.
We are seeing delays as manufacturers all shut down for as long as two months which delayed production and shipping. But we are starting to receive more parts and products.

Please send your information to CustomerRelations@mathisbrothers.com. Thank you.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I was assured by delivery man that the right cord would be sent to me within 4-5 days. I called customer service after a week and no cord and they knew nothing about it. After 3 calls to customer service I received a cord but it is the wrong one. I called customer service again and so far have gotten no satisfaction. I'm still waiting for someone at Mathis Brothers to send me the right cord so I can use my power recliner. Customer Service is the worst I’ve ever experienced.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Diane - We apologize that you have not received the correct cord. We took one from the same model chair in our warehouse, but we are told that didn't work. We understand that you have been in contact with the vendor and Customer Service Management and a new cord has been ordered. Let us know if there is anything else we can do. Thanks.

Resolution response: July 7, 2020

I was refunded the ten percent hold! Customer relations at Mathis Brothers responded fairly quickly in having the amount refunded and I do appreciate that. They were quick and courteous. I would like to think the weird car salesman-esque experience we had with Taj ** was just a bad apple and not a reflection on Mathis Brothers. Thank you for help and remedying the situation.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Sorry to go full Karen on this review, but I feel that this probably happens all the time at this store and interactions like this go unchecked: when we went to Mathis Brothers, we were assigned a salesperson to help us, Taj ** (id **). We were there to see a specific desk we had seen online. Once we saw it, he asked if we were intending to have it delivered or not. We said no, that we only lived 20 minutes or so away from the store and that it would be an easy pickup. We asked if we could then put the item on a 24 hour hold to check measurements, he said sure and stated that because we put the item on hold, we wouldn't have to go to the warehouse.

He guided us to the front desk and instructed us to give our information. Then the front desk said it would cost us ten percent down in order to hold the item. Even though we weren't told at all that we'd have to pay, not wanting to appear cheap or insincere about purchasing the furniture, we put down the money. The next day we called ahead to inform them we were picking the item up, the warehouse said "are you sure?" and informed us that they did not have the item we had put on hold. I replied that it was fine, the store said we could pick it up from them and not the warehouse (the warehouse is over 2 hour roundtrip away).

After a brief pause he said okay and proceeded to forward me to retrieve the rest of the payment on the phone. I said "wait, I can pick it up from the store right?" He said, "I don't know, you need to talk to the store." I called the store directly and asked for Taj **, our salesperson. He got on the phone and after some prodding remembered us and then put us on hold after I told him about our phone experience I had. I was on hold for 20 minutes, with a few people randomly picking it up, not saying anything and putting us back on hold. Finally, the someone just flat out hung up the phone. What?

We called back and asked for a manager. Then we were told a manager wasn't available and they would call us back by the end of business day. I said that's fine but I only had a 24 hour hold and I don't want that to be an excuse by the manager that the furniture isn't available to us or that I'd lose the money we put down. She said, "It's fine. Someone will call you back by the end of the day." I received no such call.

We put ten percent down to hold something that they either didn't hold at the store or that we were never allowed to pick up. They were clearly no more in the warehouse even if we wanted to make the trip to pick it up either. What was the hold for then? It wasn't a lot of money, which is why I figured they didn't care to call us back or the salesperson felt like he could hang up on us. While I'll be disputing the minor amount with my credit card company, it's not about the money we lost, but the whole experience.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Brittany - We apologize for any confusion on your desk. We would like to look further into this and see what we can do to get a quick resolution. Can you please send us the name and phone number and/or the customer number on your account? You can email it to CustomerRelations@mathisbrothers.com. Thank you.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I wish I had come to this site before my purchase and seen all of the ONE STAR reviews. I cannot believe this company has the nerve to continue to treat customers with such disrespect. I am a very recent widow and have been waiting for a couch from MB for 2 1/2 months. Every time I call for an update, they give me a different delivery date and a different person who is my "sales manager." Every time, they promise a certain date and every time that date comes and goes without anyone contacting me. This is very frustrating as I got rid of my old couch when they promised the first delivery date, and now my family and I have nothing in that spot as we get yanked around time and time again.

In the meantime, we have purchased other furniture for bedrooms and Mathis has lost out on a lot of business from us. If they could only be honest and reputable and offer something other than lies, they would have had our additional business and I would not be inclined to go all over the internet and tell everyone about our HORRIBLE experience. This is my first review and I plan to go to many more sites to share while we wait for some action on this situation. Rit Mathis has some nerve running constant ads with his face guaranteeing quality and service. he should be embarrassed of his company by now. As I said, while reading the reviews here, I can see that I am not alone in these feelings. Shameful!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Bootsie, We apologize for the lack of communication and for any miscommunication you are receiving. The dates that you mentioned are given to us directly from the manufacturers as their best estimated time of arrival for when the furniture should arrive to our warehouse. We apologize if this has not been explained to you before. We have reached back out to management to give you a call regarding your order.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I am elderly, handicapped and on social security so every penny counts. My wife went to purchase a recliner for us. The delivery was fine and so was the product. They took 10 minutes to set it up which was great. I tipped accordingly but when my wife printed the invoice I was charged $50 delivery and another $69 for a rewards program. I called and customer service explained what Google did not mention which now makes me sorry I sent her to Mathis Bros. Customer no service basically said these are our rules - too bad I expected free delivery and did not want to pay for any rewards program, so my experience taught me to not recommend Mathis Bros. Thank you, Sandy **.

Original review: June 2, 2020

** Beware this company ** First they sold furniture I paid for to another customer, They charged my account and held the monies for 30 days and used it to place the order they sold. I paid interest on the money they placed the order with. They told me the soonest I could get the items is another 30 days. So should I let them use my money for another 30 days interest free? I was told I would not be changed until the furniture came in. I was charged on 5/8 the day the order was placed.

They tried the old bate and switch, "Why don't you come in? Maybe you can find something else you like that's in stock." I expect that from used car dealers not furniture stores. It's bait and switch. It's illegal in most states including Oklahoma. This is not unusual for this store. If you read the reviews it happens all the time. The sales people there check stock if they see something they sell it. No consideration for the customer that is waiting for it an order.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

William - We apologize for the issues you had with your order. We have run into some further delays with some vendors due to them closing for 1-2 months because of the pandemic. We don't do any type of bait and switch. We just invite customers to come in the store so they can look at items that we have in stock. For those items that aren't in stock, we are starting to get more shipments as vendors have started producing more product. Again, we do apologize.

Original review: May 8, 2020

My wife and I went to Mathis Brothers to replace our worn out recliners. We ended up purchasing 2 La-Z-Boy Marco Peat recliners that were on sale for $297.95 each. Of course they don’t have the recliners in the Irvine store, because everything is stored in the Ontario warehouse. So we ordered the two recliners unseen. The total price was $771.08, including $595.90 for the recliners, $129 delivery charge and $46.18 tax. The recliners that were delivered had a noxious toxic chemical smell that made our eyes and sinuses burn. We had to put them in our garage within a few hours. They couldn’t be in our house. Called Mathis Brothers and they said they would send two more replacements within another week. Replacements had the same toxic smell and were damaged on the back. Evidently everyone is returning these things due to toxic smell, which is why they are on sale.

Told Mathis Brothers to take them back (took another week). They said they would only charge $59 10% restocking fee and the rest would be refunded to my card. They decided to keep $220 and stick us with the delivery fee for delivering unusable furniture. HORRRRIBLE COMPANY, don’t buy anything from them unless you see it, touch it, smell it first. They will charge you the money and tell you to go jump in a lake. Bad business for sure. Will never buy anything from them again. Will only tell EVERYONE we meet about our horrible experience!!!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Robert, We apologize about any issues you've had regarding the recliners. The products we sell are not toxic, but we understand you were not happy with the recliners and utilized our return policy. We have reached out to store management regarding your other issues. We apologize that you were not satisfied, but appreciate your business.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I brought an adjustable bed frame for $650 for my Acid Reflux. After two months the bed frame is making loud squeak noises every turn or movement on bed. It is woke me up during the night many times. I called Customer support and they told the metal squeaking is not cover under warranty. When brought the bed frame they told it is cover for one year if anything goes wrong with it. They told me is an known issue. I have asked why I was told or why you are selling bad product to customers. I have brought many furniture from them before and they always seemed to be trusted until now. I don't know what happen to this place.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Michael - We apologize that you are having an issue with your adjustable base. If you could send us your account information, we'll look into it and have someone follow up. Please email the name and phone number and/or customer number to consumeraffairs@mathisbrothers.com. Thank you.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I bought a recliner as a surprise for my boyfriend on 4/24/2020. I got it home and when he got in it the back just kept reclining so we brought it back the next day and got a different one instead. We got that one home and put together and the footrest would not stay reclined out, just fell right back down if you put any pressure on it. So we took that one back an hour later. The customer service manager told me I should have checked it first, that "he always checks his eggs at Walmart to make sure they're not cracked." When they load it up it is in a box and then they tell you to leave so there was no way to check it and I didn't appreciate him implying it was our fault that your product was faulty.

I explained that this was the third time driving 45 minutes there and 45 minutes home and I was extremely upset. He did give me a small discount off my purchase "for my inconvenience". When we went to the warehouse to exchange it we waited 25 minutes before we were even acknowledged. We made them take the third chair out of the box so we could test it. It had the same problem as the one we were exchanging. The customer service manager and their tech told us there was no issue with the chair, it was supposed to do that, even though I explained to them that the one in the store does not do that.

Finally our sales guy came over and explained to them that it should not be falling back down that way. They brought over a fourth chair and it wasn't even the right one. Finally the fifth chair they brought over worked the way it was supposed to. The only pleasant part of our visits was Jeff **, our sales guy. He was extremely helpful and very courteous and respectful. Other than him it was the worst shopping experience I've ever had and I won't be back and I'll share my experience with anyone that will listen.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Company Information