Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores

3.3/5 (58 ratings)

About Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mathis Brothers Furniture?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I purchased a 2 piece custom sectional exactly 2 years ago and a protection plan. My well cared for sectional started tearing at the seams in multiple sections. I figured I was covered since I purchased a protection plan. It turns out this warranty doesn’t cover this tear because it’s at the seam. Don’t buy furniture here. It’s very expensive but cheaply made.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

So I decided to order a whole new living room set! I was so excited since it had been 12 years since my last one! I shopped around and loved a set at Mathis Bros in Ontario. I decided to order online and ended up speaking with a customer service rep Summer! She was very helpful and I asked her when the furniture would be in and she said for sure on June 21st. I ordered on June 2nd. I asked her if that was a hair enter because we were going to sell our old furniture and she said yes!! So sold all our old furniture and expected our new set end of June. Well June 21st came and no contact so I had to contact them. They said dates got pushed to 28th. "Ok well can you contact me then and let me know! "They said yes.

So June 28th came and no contact so I again contacted them and they said it got pushed back to July 5th. All of course due to Covid. Which I understand and that’s exactly why I asked for a guarantee on delivery before I purchased and paid up front for all 7 pieces and warranties. So I asked to speak with a manager. A manager told me that half the furniture was in the warehouse and he could have it delivered for no charge because I already paid for delivery up front for the whole thing. So I said, "Ok thank you" so I would at least have something. So delivery was confirmed for Friday July 3rd between 10-12. So husband took day off work with no pay to be here. Delivery never showed. I called around 1:00 and they said, "Let me look into it and I’ll call you back."

They never did so I called again at 3:00. Same response from customer service. They never called back. I called again at 5:00 and and refused to get off the phone until someone told me what was going on and apparently our furniture never made it on the truck for delivery!!! I was furious. We waited all day and they never contacted us. We had to contact them!!! I decided to go to warehouse the next day to pick up and waited an hour because they couldn’t find my furniture. While waiting I called customer service and decided to cancel my other delivery for the second half and we would just pick up!

I asked for a refund and they made me call the accountant instead of them contacting me but whatever so I did and when they tried to refund me I found out they tried to sneak in a double charge for their club membership so beware and double check your charges. So they cleared that up. So July 5th and still no furniture and no contact. I called again and they said it got pushed to early August!! Mind you we ended up having to rent furniture because we had nothing to sit on in our main family room so we were now out even more money. Early August my husband called and got a hold of our original sales rep and he explained that we have been paying monthly for rentals and needed the furniture by the 28th so we wouldn’t have to renew another month.

She said again, "I guarantee it will be in by the 28th and I will refund you $100 and give you free delivery!" The 28th of August came and I received a text that our furniture is in and we can pick up but never received the credit and free delivery was supposed to be arranged. My husband called at least ten times between that date and today and could never contact Summer and never got a call back and could never reach a manager apparently. This morning we were on the phone for an hour trying to reach a manager to ask why they weren’t accommodating what was promised. We finally reached internet manager Marcus and he was so rude to us and told us “we never told you to rent furniture."

He didn’t want to give us delivery for free even though his sales consultant guaranteed it. We had to bicker back and forth until he reluctantly agreed to have it dropped at front door and not in our home unless we paid $25. Seriously you wouldn’t even give us a $25 delivery and set up in home. So we arranged for this Sunday the 6th for delivery at the door because I will never give this company another penny. The worst customer service I have ever dealt with!!!! Please don’t but from this company and I asked him, "So you are just allowing your sales staff to lie to your customers and it’s ok"!!! And he had no response!!! Just "This is all we can do"!!! Buyers beware!!!! Completely ruined my whole excitement over new furniture and I was planning on getting a new kitchen table from them but not now!!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2020

Disappointed with this company. Had one daughter have a rough time with problem furniture but FINALLY accepted the resolution. (???) Fast forward a couple of yrs. Second daughter needed some furniture...we gave them a second chance. Even crappier customer service and furniture. Keep in mind ... paid extra for white glove delivery service... not sure what that gave us....and listened to the salesman when he convinced us to buy the non-Ashley furniture b/c it was so much better furniture...

After reporting problems 2 days after delivery... therefore within their 7 day window.... they didn’t replace the furniture... just kept sending techs who kept trying to say it was how it was set in room, etc. I’m talking at LEAST 5 times that family members had to take off work to meet them, bottom of couch finally taken in, parts backlogged for months, etc, plus every time it was brought back there was even more damage which someone tried to cover up with a sticker. Never just replaced the couch.... now... after constant contact with Mathis... a supervisor said she could only give store credit... This is BS and total horrible customer service. We will warn anyone we know about this crappy company... would rate 0 stars if could.

Original review: July 20, 2020

After spending thousands of dollars in Mathis Brothers, we are beyond disappointed. We had to cancel some items and have been waiting on items as well. We have been lied to numerous times about when things would be in store to be delivered. We just had a delivery today. It was our dining table we’ve been waiting on. One item. Nothing else. They had one job and they “forgot” a piece at the store so they couldn’t put our table together. The drivers made a call to confirm the piece was at the store. They said they would be back in a couple hours to put things together with the piece. After hours of phone calls that were ignored, I called the store, only to be told that I was lied to and that the piece was on back order. I would never recommend anyone to use them.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Julie, I apologize for the delayed response and lack of communication regarding your order and missing pieces, as well as any miscommunication as to the availability of the merchandise. These are unprecedented times and we have experienced many delays due to COVID and the delay in production. The dates we are given come directly from the manufacturer as to when they believe they can get the merchandise delivered. All delivery dates are estimated. I apologize for any confusion.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I was disappointed in my 1st experiences with Mathis Brothers. I shopped at the Irvine store. I couldn't get one things delivered accurately and/or timely. I did my order on mid of June 2020 and my items scheduled to deliver by end of June (Two weeks after). For living room, they delivered the love seat and I just got an update for the sofa to be in August. For the bed room they scheduled the bed frame by September 3 months late. Don't shop with them. They will give you fake dates just to keep selling. I don't trust them at all. I will tell all my friend and family for my worst experience ever for buying furniture.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Peter, We apologize if you felt you were misled. The dates you were given come from the manufactures. Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, many of the manufacturers have experienced shutdowns or severe delays in production. The dates given to us are their best estimate as to when they believe they can fulfill an order and have the merchandise delivered to our warehouse. We apologize if this was not explained. If you need any assistance, please email us at CustomerRelations@mathisbrothers.com.

Original review: July 10, 2020

We purchased a $2100 La-Z-Boy recliner. The chair broke (a solid steel weld failed) in April. We have waited four months and still have not received information as to when the chair would be repaired or even if they will honor the warranty. We have made numerous contacts with customer service to have some ignored (receiving no feedback). When we are able to connect we are told that due to the Covid 19 virus things are delayed. At the very least, we expect to be kept in the loop and given a time frame as to when repairs will be made.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response
Patrick - We apologize for the lack of communication you're getting. If you could please send us your customer number and/or the name and phone number on your account, we will look into it and see what we can do to get a quick resolution.
We are seeing delays as manufacturers all shut down for as long as two months which delayed production and shipping. But we are starting to receive more parts and products.

Please send your information to CustomerRelations@mathisbrothers.com. Thank you.

Original review: July 2, 2020

I was assured by delivery man that the right cord would be sent to me within 4-5 days. I called customer service after a week and no cord and they knew nothing about it. After 3 calls to customer service I received a cord but it is the wrong one. I called customer service again and so far have gotten no satisfaction. I'm still waiting for someone at Mathis Brothers to send me the right cord so I can use my power recliner. Customer Service is the worst I’ve ever experienced.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Diane - We apologize that you have not received the correct cord. We took one from the same model chair in our warehouse, but we are told that didn't work. We understand that you have been in contact with the vendor and Customer Service Management and a new cord has been ordered. Let us know if there is anything else we can do. Thanks.

Resolution response: July 7, 2020

I was refunded the ten percent hold! Customer relations at Mathis Brothers responded fairly quickly in having the amount refunded and I do appreciate that. They were quick and courteous. I would like to think the weird car salesman-esque experience we had with Taj ** was just a bad apple and not a reflection on Mathis Brothers. Thank you for help and remedying the situation.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Sorry to go full Karen on this review, but I feel that this probably happens all the time at this store and interactions like this go unchecked: when we went to Mathis Brothers, we were assigned a salesperson to help us, Taj ** (id **). We were there to see a specific desk we had seen online. Once we saw it, he asked if we were intending to have it delivered or not. We said no, that we only lived 20 minutes or so away from the store and that it would be an easy pickup. We asked if we could then put the item on a 24 hour hold to check measurements, he said sure and stated that because we put the item on hold, we wouldn't have to go to the warehouse.

He guided us to the front desk and instructed us to give our information. Then the front desk said it would cost us ten percent down in order to hold the item. Even though we weren't told at all that we'd have to pay, not wanting to appear cheap or insincere about purchasing the furniture, we put down the money. The next day we called ahead to inform them we were picking the item up, the warehouse said "are you sure?" and informed us that they did not have the item we had put on hold. I replied that it was fine, the store said we could pick it up from them and not the warehouse (the warehouse is over 2 hour roundtrip away).

After a brief pause he said okay and proceeded to forward me to retrieve the rest of the payment on the phone. I said "wait, I can pick it up from the store right?" He said, "I don't know, you need to talk to the store." I called the store directly and asked for Taj **, our salesperson. He got on the phone and after some prodding remembered us and then put us on hold after I told him about our phone experience I had. I was on hold for 20 minutes, with a few people randomly picking it up, not saying anything and putting us back on hold. Finally, the someone just flat out hung up the phone. What?

We called back and asked for a manager. Then we were told a manager wasn't available and they would call us back by the end of business day. I said that's fine but I only had a 24 hour hold and I don't want that to be an excuse by the manager that the furniture isn't available to us or that I'd lose the money we put down. She said, "It's fine. Someone will call you back by the end of the day." I received no such call.

We put ten percent down to hold something that they either didn't hold at the store or that we were never allowed to pick up. They were clearly no more in the warehouse even if we wanted to make the trip to pick it up either. What was the hold for then? It wasn't a lot of money, which is why I figured they didn't care to call us back or the salesperson felt like he could hang up on us. While I'll be disputing the minor amount with my credit card company, it's not about the money we lost, but the whole experience.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Brittany - We apologize for any confusion on your desk. We would like to look further into this and see what we can do to get a quick resolution. Can you please send us the name and phone number and/or the customer number on your account? You can email it to CustomerRelations@mathisbrothers.com. Thank you.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I wish I had come to this site before my purchase and seen all of the ONE STAR reviews. I cannot believe this company has the nerve to continue to treat customers with such disrespect. I am a very recent widow and have been waiting for a couch from MB for 2 1/2 months. Every time I call for an update, they give me a different delivery date and a different person who is my "sales manager." Every time, they promise a certain date and every time that date comes and goes without anyone contacting me. This is very frustrating as I got rid of my old couch when they promised the first delivery date, and now my family and I have nothing in that spot as we get yanked around time and time again.

In the meantime, we have purchased other furniture for bedrooms and Mathis has lost out on a lot of business from us. If they could only be honest and reputable and offer something other than lies, they would have had our additional business and I would not be inclined to go all over the internet and tell everyone about our HORRIBLE experience. This is my first review and I plan to go to many more sites to share while we wait for some action on this situation. Rit Mathis has some nerve running constant ads with his face guaranteeing quality and service. he should be embarrassed of his company by now. As I said, while reading the reviews here, I can see that I am not alone in these feelings. Shameful!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Bootsie, We apologize for the lack of communication and for any miscommunication you are receiving. The dates that you mentioned are given to us directly from the manufacturers as their best estimated time of arrival for when the furniture should arrive to our warehouse. We apologize if this has not been explained to you before. We have reached back out to management to give you a call regarding your order.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I am elderly, handicapped and on social security so every penny counts. My wife went to purchase a recliner for us. The delivery was fine and so was the product. They took 10 minutes to set it up which was great. I tipped accordingly but when my wife printed the invoice I was charged $50 delivery and another $69 for a rewards program. I called and customer service explained what Google did not mention which now makes me sorry I sent her to Mathis Bros. Customer no service basically said these are our rules - too bad I expected free delivery and did not want to pay for any rewards program, so my experience taught me to not recommend Mathis Bros. Thank you, Sandy **.

Original review: June 2, 2020

** Beware this company ** First they sold furniture I paid for to another customer, They charged my account and held the monies for 30 days and used it to place the order they sold. I paid interest on the money they placed the order with. They told me the soonest I could get the items is another 30 days. So should I let them use my money for another 30 days interest free? I was told I would not be changed until the furniture came in. I was charged on 5/8 the day the order was placed.

They tried the old bate and switch, "Why don't you come in? Maybe you can find something else you like that's in stock." I expect that from used car dealers not furniture stores. It's bait and switch. It's illegal in most states including Oklahoma. This is not unusual for this store. If you read the reviews it happens all the time. The sales people there check stock if they see something they sell it. No consideration for the customer that is waiting for it an order.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

William - We apologize for the issues you had with your order. We have run into some further delays with some vendors due to them closing for 1-2 months because of the pandemic. We don't do any type of bait and switch. We just invite customers to come in the store so they can look at items that we have in stock. For those items that aren't in stock, we are starting to get more shipments as vendors have started producing more product. Again, we do apologize.

Original review: May 8, 2020

My wife and I went to Mathis Brothers to replace our worn out recliners. We ended up purchasing 2 La-Z-Boy Marco Peat recliners that were on sale for $297.95 each. Of course they don’t have the recliners in the Irvine store, because everything is stored in the Ontario warehouse. So we ordered the two recliners unseen. The total price was $771.08, including $595.90 for the recliners, $129 delivery charge and $46.18 tax. The recliners that were delivered had a noxious toxic chemical smell that made our eyes and sinuses burn. We had to put them in our garage within a few hours. They couldn’t be in our house. Called Mathis Brothers and they said they would send two more replacements within another week. Replacements had the same toxic smell and were damaged on the back. Evidently everyone is returning these things due to toxic smell, which is why they are on sale.

Told Mathis Brothers to take them back (took another week). They said they would only charge $59 10% restocking fee and the rest would be refunded to my card. They decided to keep $220 and stick us with the delivery fee for delivering unusable furniture. HORRRRIBLE COMPANY, don’t buy anything from them unless you see it, touch it, smell it first. They will charge you the money and tell you to go jump in a lake. Bad business for sure. Will never buy anything from them again. Will only tell EVERYONE we meet about our horrible experience!!!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Robert, We apologize about any issues you've had regarding the recliners. The products we sell are not toxic, but we understand you were not happy with the recliners and utilized our return policy. We have reached out to store management regarding your other issues. We apologize that you were not satisfied, but appreciate your business.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I brought an adjustable bed frame for $650 for my Acid Reflux. After two months the bed frame is making loud squeak noises every turn or movement on bed. It is woke me up during the night many times. I called Customer support and they told the metal squeaking is not cover under warranty. When brought the bed frame they told it is cover for one year if anything goes wrong with it. They told me is an known issue. I have asked why I was told or why you are selling bad product to customers. I have brought many furniture from them before and they always seemed to be trusted until now. I don't know what happen to this place.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Michael - We apologize that you are having an issue with your adjustable base. If you could send us your account information, we'll look into it and have someone follow up. Please email the name and phone number and/or customer number to consumeraffairs@mathisbrothers.com. Thank you.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I bought a recliner as a surprise for my boyfriend on 4/24/2020. I got it home and when he got in it the back just kept reclining so we brought it back the next day and got a different one instead. We got that one home and put together and the footrest would not stay reclined out, just fell right back down if you put any pressure on it. So we took that one back an hour later. The customer service manager told me I should have checked it first, that "he always checks his eggs at Walmart to make sure they're not cracked." When they load it up it is in a box and then they tell you to leave so there was no way to check it and I didn't appreciate him implying it was our fault that your product was faulty.

I explained that this was the third time driving 45 minutes there and 45 minutes home and I was extremely upset. He did give me a small discount off my purchase "for my inconvenience". When we went to the warehouse to exchange it we waited 25 minutes before we were even acknowledged. We made them take the third chair out of the box so we could test it. It had the same problem as the one we were exchanging. The customer service manager and their tech told us there was no issue with the chair, it was supposed to do that, even though I explained to them that the one in the store does not do that.

Finally our sales guy came over and explained to them that it should not be falling back down that way. They brought over a fourth chair and it wasn't even the right one. Finally the fifth chair they brought over worked the way it was supposed to. The only pleasant part of our visits was Jeff **, our sales guy. He was extremely helpful and very courteous and respectful. Other than him it was the worst shopping experience I've ever had and I won't be back and I'll share my experience with anyone that will listen.

Original review: March 27, 2020

My wife and I have been in the market for a new mattress. We were looking for something that was comfortable enough for my bad back and her neck. We were approached by a salesperson who kept harassing us and trying to up-sale. After being constantly harassed we decided to purchase a Nectar mattress instead of a Tempur-Pedic mattress because it was out of our budget. She finally showed us something that was within our budget. I was tired by that time and really didn’t want to be bother anymore and just purchase the nectar which I didn’t want in the first place. I just felt so pressured. She wouldn’t keep her distance. She convinced us by saying it had raving reviews and helps us with our pressure points. We decided to purchase it.

I tried to give the mattress some time and see if over time it would be more comfortable, but it never did. I would wake up with leg pain and numbness. I’ve contacted Mathis Brothers numerous times to see if I can do an exchange and they never helped me. It’s been a nightmare!! I will not purchase from Mathis brothers again!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Jeff. I am so sorry to hear about the issues that you are having with the mattress and the experience you had with our sales team. If you would, please provide the sales order number and your contact information to ConsumerAffairs@mathisbrothers.com. I would like to look into this further for you. We appreciate your business and feedback!

Original review: March 26, 2020

I do not recommend shopping at Mathis Brothers Furniture Store for your mattress purchase. I spent $1,900 on a mattress that is too soft for me to sleep on. Mathis Brothers is unwilling to assist me even though I spent over $20,000 at the store. I suggest any mattress shopper go elsewhere. Give your business to a retailer that will stand behind the product they sell, many retailers offer a 30-day trial or guarantee period. Furniture stores do not offer this; mattress stores do. If I had it to do over again I would go to a store dedicated to selling mattresses only.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response
Hello Kelly. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the mattress you purchased and the lack of customer support.

I would like to look into this further for you if you would, please send your sales order number and contact information to ConsumerAffairs@mathisbrothers.com. We appreciate your business and your feedback. Thank you!

Original review: March 11, 2020

We visited the Ontario store in late November 2019 and purchased the Simon Li sectional for $3,499, plus extended warranty, some membership plan, and delivery for a total of ~$4,300. They had just sold the last floor display so we waited until stated February 2020 for the next shipment to arrive. We received a call in late January that the product arrived and we went to the store on January 26 to complete payment and setup delivery. We scheduled delivery for the Saturday before Superbowl as we were having visitors and looking forward to using the sectional to host. I asked that everything would be good with delivery and they confirmed that there would be no issue. The delivery on the Saturday took place and here's where the problems began.

One of the end pieces delivered was the same as the other side, so two left-armed recliners. They called in and said they would bring back the correct piece back the next day. In addition, the middle reclining chair had no power and was not working. The next day I had to follow-up myself by early afternoon and ask what was going on with the delivery. After three more calls that day, by night, they said they don't have the correct piece in stock and that it would be a few days to get in, perhaps by Tuesday. I called again on Tuesday and they now said it's still on the water and would be about two weeks to arrive. I contemplated cancelling the order but decided to wait.

After two weeks I received an email to confirm delivery of the remaining piece. After confirming delivery I called to ensure that somebody would take a look at the chair with no power that doesn't recline. They next day which was suppose to be delivery day, we had to leave work early to be at home. We received a call ~ 1 hour before delivery time. They said that they don't have the chair in stock and that it would be another two weeks to arrive! I stated that this is not acceptable to continually be deceived and service requests ignored. I requested for the 5 pieces at home to be picked up for refund and the one remaining piece in transit to be cancelled; cancelling the entire order.

They arrived on February 22 to pick up the five pieces. I asked when I would be refunded and they said probably the next day once the return was confirmed. After many phone calls the next day and throughout the next two weeks to Ontario and corporate; being transferred multiple times, placed on hold for long duration of times with no answer, here's what's happened. Only received a partial refund for the five pieces. THE PIECE THAT NEVER ARRIVED THAT WE PAID FOR ON JANUARY 26 STILL HAS NOT BEEN REFUNDED...$879! Today is March 11 and STILL NO REFUND! They've done nothing short of take my money, string me along, and waste my time.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Michael, We are very disappointed to hear about the number of issues you've dealt with trying to get your furniture, any miscommunication and in dealing with your refund. This is not typical of the customer service we strive to provide. Could you please send us the contact information associated with your order to ConsumerAffairs@mathisbrothers.com so we can look into these issues and try to get this resolved for you? We appreciate your business and would like to make this right.

Original review: March 5, 2020

My husband and I have bought living room furniture and bedroom furniture in the past and have been very happy with the experience and the furniture from Mathis Brothers Furniture Store... NEVER AGAIN.!!! We had never had a King size bed. We had never had a mechanical bed. Mitch was one of our sales guys at Mathis Brothers in OKC. We tried out several mattresses and then the mechanical types at the store. We said we were not sure about softness of mattress and if we wanted a split king. The sales guy said we could return for something else if we didn’t like it. We bought what ended up being an expensive split king with mechanical bed.

We told the sales guy we were both going on separate trips and if wasn’t happy with bed we would like to get exchanged before we left on trips. We tried to exchange and he said we could NOT exchange.!!! We did not like the split king.!!! Very hard for cuddling.! Do not like the hole it makes.!!! We also bought mattress covers for mattresses which they were out of, but I always cover our mattresses and all our beds have covers on them.! My husband said they said we could not go from split mechanical bed to king whole mechanical bed like we wanted to. Also I had to ADD soft mattress on top of new mattress to make soft for my comfort. So I also wanted to go for softer and probably more expensive mattress, but they would not let us exchange it.

I have never written a review, but had to tell of our experience. We will never go to Mathis Brothers again. We are retired and not happy about paying over 5.500$ for something that does not work for us. Especially when we were led to believe we could exchange it if it did not work for us.!!! I am sorry to say negative things, but feel people should know to be careful before spending their hard earned money on something they are not happy with.!!!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Merry, I am very sorry to hear about the issues you are having and the miscommunication with our sales staff! I would like to look into this for you. If you would, please send us the sales order number and your contact information to consumeraffairs@mathisbrothers.com We do appreciate your business!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I bought a sectional that was on sale and picked a color that was not like the floor model. Being that it was in stock and on sale I did not expect to still be waiting for it since I purchased it before Christmas! I have been given the runaround too many times, given delivery dates and times. I’ve had to take multiple days off from my 2 jobs waiting for my furniture to be delivered! I have told all my friends and family about what crappy service I have received from Mathis Bros. I have no living room furniture in my apartment for my family. I am so disappointed and I regret ever purchasing any furniture both bedroom and living room from Mathis Bros. They have the worst service and keep giving me the runaround. If they didn’t charge me a fee to return everything I would’ve done it already! To anyone reading this DON'T BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! The salesman was rude and the people on the phone tell you BS!

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Mariah, We apologize about the series of issues you’ve had in getting the furniture you picked out delivered. Could you please email us the contact information associated with your order to ConsumerAffairs@mathisbrothers.com so we can look into this issue and try to get it resolved for you? We do appreciate your business and would like to make this right.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I purchased a La-Z-Boy Loveseat and Couch in September 2018 from Mathis Brothers in Ontario. I had seen the same Couch and Loveseat at the La-Z-Boy store for $2,000 more dollars and Mathis Brothers had them less expensive. So we purchased them with the warranty. We have had Mathis Brothers out twice since we bought them using the warranty and now we had them out a third time 3 weeks ago and we were told we would receive a call from Mathis Brothers letting me know what the outcome was. I didn't hear from them for over a week and called them. I was told by customer service that they are trying to get the money I paid for the couch and loveseat refunded to me. Ok that sounds great, and they would call me within 24 hours.

Now I am on this perpetual loop of this is what I am told but I never receive a call from Mathis Brothers back. I end up having to call in 2-3 days to follow up with them and now for 2 weeks I receive the same line from Customer Service. "Oh I see so and so has emailed them and we are waiting for a response. We will follow up with them again and let you know in 24 hours." Today I called because this is what I was told on Friday 1/31 and received no follow up and had to call today.

This time, the person who was emailing La-Z-Boy is not in today, so the girl Gabriella on the phone said that they would follow up with me in 24 hours. I told her that it sounds like this is just what they tell the clients but how do I know they even are following up with La-Z-Boy. I asked to talk to a Manager and she said that they would call me in 24 hours. So much for customer service. I told her that Mathis Brothers pays a certain amount to La-Z-Boy to purchase a Bulk lot of couches and then sells them in their stores. I didn't pay La-Z-Boy direct. I paid Mathis Brothers, if they are truly trying to get a refund for the money I paid, why can't Mathis Brothers make this right and refund my money direct and deal with La-Z-Boy on their own to get reimbursed?

I think they are lying to me and have no intention of trying to refund my money. There is no purpose in buying the warranty, they will just provide the customer with the same defective couches just to keep the consumers money. I know I won't receive a call back tomorrow, I just have to keep wasting my time from work to put a call into them to keep receiving the same BS answer from them that they are waiting for an answer that will never come. Money down the drain at Mathis Brothers.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response
Rosanna - We hate to hear that you are having issues with your LaZBoy sofa. If you could send us your customer number and/or phone number on your account, we will look into your situation. You can send it to consumeraffairs@mathisbrothers.com.

We don't sell extended warranties, we sell the Furniture Protection Plan. This protects you from an accidental rip, stain, burn or tear, not manufacturer defects. LaZBoy can approve an exchange/reselection after their 1 year warranty expires.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

June of 2019 I bought my mattress and power base at Mathis Brothers in Ontario Ca. I couldn’t sleep for weeks upon getting it because it sunk in way too much! Mind you I was pregnant so I tried to give it a chance until after I had the baby. After having the baby still no luck. My back would hurt all the time! Talk about sleepless nights so about ten days ago I finally do my exchange, tried the mattress out in the sales floor and seemed to be a little more firm but my first day sleeping on it oh how I regret my decision! If the last one was bad this one is worse. My 4 year old will lay on the bed and sink in!

I am still up at 3:47 am writing this because the mattress is so terrible I can’t sleep! What Mathis does not disclose when you get the mattress exchange plan is that it is only a one time thing and they also deduct $200 from your original value. And the base came faulty. Tried calling the very first week and I’m still getting the run around because they consider it a third party warranty. I’ve made many purchases with them and was looking forward to doing my entire house but this is such a hassle. I‘ll more than likely take my business elsewhere.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Nataly, I am sorry to hear that your mattress is uncomfortable and that there was a misunderstanding regarding the comfort guarantee as well as the lack of communication. If there is a defect in the mattress then it would be covered under the warranty. Please send us your sales order number and contact information to mattressservice@mathisbrothers.com so that we can follow up on this for you and try to get it resolved. We appreciate your business!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I went in to get a recliner and Mr ** helped me to find the best one for me. It was the perfect fit. He didn’t pressure me, just very helpful. Mr ** was very knowledgeable about his products and showed me which was best for my money that I had to spend. The store is very organized and very clean.

Neoka

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Thank you for your positive review! We are glad that our sales team was able to assist you in finding the best chair for your budget! We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

In the past I was sold some broken products at full price. My experience was bad but my friend experience. I would say that Mathis Brothers is very unprofessional. My friend purchased a sofa bed. She has not even had it 6 months and it has broken twice. She also even got the insurance. She paid for delivery. It took two weeks to get. They have been giving her the run around. The sofa is broke more than in use. I would never ever buy anything else from them and the cold part about all of this is that will not even give a message to the owner to solve this situation. Very unprofessional and unworthy of my $ or a recommendation. Mathis Brothers is a poor of an excuse of a business and they get a thumb DOWN.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Carol, I am sorry to hear about your past experience, Please notify us in the future so that we may take a look at your situation and assist you. If you would, please have your friend email us the sales order number and her contact information to consumeraffairs@mathisbrothers.com We are very sorry that she is getting the run around and would like to follow up on this for her. We do appreciate your business and want to try and make it right!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

If I can give them less than one star I would. Worst experience ever. Came to CA from OH and heard about this place. Went in and told the sales person I needed a sectional and it would be preferred to arrive the second week of January. He said not a problem. It would get here BEFORE the date and we could schedule a time to deliver it. Ordered 12/28, needed it by 01/13. Two days before got a text message from the sales person saying it would arrive on Monday (01/13) between 8am and 4pm. My wife and I waited all day and I took off work for this. At 5:30pm I called the store and they said the delivery was cancelled because the piece was missing legs. So they reordered it.

Fast forward to 01/18, they called me a assured me the sectional was in and it had all the pieces so the deliver would be on 01/21 between 4pm and 9pm. They called at 4pm and stated they had to cancel my deliver AGAIN because it was missing legs. Even after the manager verified everything was there. The only thing they were going to offer me for all of this was free shipping (a whopping $50 off) and only $60 off the sectional. And it was going to take another month for it to get here. I cancelled everything and went to Bob’s. Worst experience ever.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

After we finally found a Salesman that showed an actual interest in assisting us with finding what we were looking for which of course was only after we explained that we were new to the area and were interested in furnishing a newly purchased home we picked out our new home furnishings and were assured that we would be more than happy with our Mathis Brothers furniture experience. We purchased the Protection Plan at the recommendation of the salesman since we have children and pets and eagerly looked forward to the arrival of our new furniture. The furniture was delivered and installed.

The delivery crew hurriedly left and upon inspection of the furniture it became blatantly obvious that almost every piece of the furniture was either damaged coming through the door, was damaged in the box upon arrival and was assembled and installed anyway (without ever disclosing that information so the furniture could be declined) or was damaged upon assembly. This was brought to the attention of Mathis Brothers furniture and it has been nothing short of an absolute nightmare trying to get their Customer Service team to rectify the situation. As an added bonus, apparently their Protection plan covers nothing more than padding their pockets. All claims submitted to date have been denied for non-coverage despite meeting all the requirements including photos of the damage. If we had wanted IKEA quality furniture and customer service we would've payed IKEA quality prices.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

We hate to hear that there was damage to your furniture and that you're having a hard time getting this taken care of. Please send us the Name and phone number or customer number on the account and we will work with you to get some closure. You can email us at consumeraffairs@mathisbrothers.com.

To clarify the FPP, it covers an accidental rip, stain, burn or tear. But if the furniture is damaged upon delivery or has a manufacturer defect, that would fall under the manufacturer's warranty.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I have bought several pieces of furniture over the years at Mathis Brothers. Some good experiences, some bad. But the biggest issue I have is the sales people. I literally feel my anxiety escalate upon entering the door. I now try to create a diversion just to avoid being confronted so I can shop without someone following me. The last time I was there I politely told a sales person that I wanted to look on my own and she said “that’s the number one complaint we get” (the sales people). I don’t own a business but I’m pretty sure that If I knew what “the number one complaint was,” I think I’d do something about it.

There are so many sales people in the building, many of them are just sitting around in furniture playing games on their phones. Bottom line is, the sales people are a turn off. I feel sorry for them. Mathis brothers needs to seriously reevaluate their sales tactics. Honestly I go to Mathis brothers as a last resort because I hate having to deal with the sales people.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Diane, I apologize you had a negative experience with our sales staff. We value our customers and are dedicated to providing an enjoyable shopping environment. We understand some customers would rather not have a sales agent present while others prefer to have them nearby. We have very large sales floors and a massive amount of merchandise that can be a bit overwhelming for some to navigate. In the future please speak with a manager if you want to browse alone. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

On 8/10/19 we purchased numerous pieces of furniture from Mathis Bros. including two mattresses, mattress pads and adjustable bases with warranties. The sales person who refers to herself as Little Debbie and the mattress dept manager sold the mattress sets with the commitment of receiving a $100 Visa gift card for each mattress/base purchased. We specifically questioned if it was a Visa card or in house gift card. We did not need anymore furniture so in house cards were worthless. They said we could use the $200 in Visa cards to offset the extra protectors and warranties purchased. I patiently waited the standard 6-8 weeks for the Visa cards to arrive.

In October Mathis Bros. gift certificates arrived with a 6 mos. expiration date. I have no need for more furniture. That's why I confirmed it was to VISA cards. On 10/28/19 I texted Little Debbie at the phone number she provided asking when my Visa gift cards would arrive. Within 30 minutes Debbie texted back "Thank you for getting in contact with me so I can make sure you receive those." No sign of the two $100 Visa gift cards. I attempted to contact Little Debbie again on 11/16/19 but she stopped responding. It's sad that Mathis Bros would resort to making false promises just to make a sale.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

We apologize about the miscommunication with your gift cards and getting in touch with your salesperson. The gift cards that we give for mattress purchases are Mathis Brothers gift cards. We haven't given Visa gift cards as part of this promotion. Please send us your contact information associated with your order to ConsumerAffairs@mathisbrothers.com so we can look into the issue and ensure we make this clear. We appreciate your business.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Tulsa OK Location - I bought a new bedroom suite 2 week before I would be available to get it delivered. The delivery people were really nice and fast, everything looked good so they left. I leave on the bed to put sheets on and a support piece breaks immediately. No big deal. It happens. I call customer service, send it in. They tell me they can get someone out Saturday. Friday comes. They set the delivery time for late evening, which did not work because we had to be somewhere at that time. They never asked me for around about time, when they delivered it was really earlier in the morning. Was expecting about the same. Whatever, the earliest they can come out to fix it is Tuesday. My husband explains to them that we work and will not take off work again for them. The service representative assured him that delivery would be no earlier than 4:30pm so we take it.

Well today I get the delivery time and lo and behold delivery time is set around 1:30pm. So again, I call customer service and this rep tells me that they would not ever be able to accommodate anything after 430 because they don’t deliver that late, that’s a lie because my Saturday delivery time was from 3:30-6:30ish. He argued with me about how I need to find someone who can stop by for 30 minutes for Mathis to come by and fix it. That doesn’t work when you work 40 minutes away from your home and you don’t have family near you. Regardless, it was rude.

He then proceeded to tell me I should book a day when I’m off work, I shouldn’t have block my whole day out for to a small piece fixed. I told the rep to just schedule a time to come pick up all of the merchandise because I’m not happy with the product nor the service I’m receiving. I feel like I shouldn’t have to pay the membership fee that I signed up for because I will not be doing business there. I shouldn’t have to pay for a deliver fee when it was never set up properly. And I told him to cancel my current orders with them. At that time he told me he would just have a salesperson call me. As expected I’m still waiting for that call. I don’t think I should be liable for the restocking fee as I’m not even able to use the product as intended for.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Hello Terry- We apologize everything was not setup properly with your bed and the issues you are experiencing with scheduling. We have your information and one of our Managers will be in touch soon to work out a time where we can keep your business and get this taken care of ASAP. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

We purchased reclining power sofa and two power recliners, white glove delivery, & furniture protection plan. After delivery we noticed that the back of the reclining sofa was not flush. One backrest was hanging back a lot further than the others. We called to notify Mathis Brothers immediately and they said they would send another out in two days. Delivery men looked at our sofa and stated that the replacement on the truck looked the same way my husband declined it.

We called Mathis Brothers again. This time the customer service stated we would have to come in and "hand select one". So, we go back to Mathis Brothers store and they were suppose to pull a few sofa's for us to look at. They brought one for us to look at and it was horrible. Customer service rep stated that we could have ours repaired, wait till they got a new shipment in, not expected to the end of Jan., get a credit and look for other furniture or get a refund. We stated we had to think about our options. We just had purchased other items to go with our "new" furniture and needed to decide what to do.

After walking through Mathis Brothers, Ashley, La-Z-Boy and the outlet centers we could not find anything that we wanted so we requested a refund. Customer service gave us the runaround, on hold and was hung up on, passed to other "managers". They stated that it was past the 7 days and we had to explain we only had the furniture 5 days and that included the original delivery, replacement delivery attempt and us going to the distribution center to "hand pick" a new sofa.

Finally she stated she would approve a refund but we had to pay a 10% restocking fee. Really? We have to pay you to give us damaged furniture....what a scam. We have requested to speak to another manager and are still awaiting their call. We will be filling complaints with BBB, ConsumerAffairs, dispute with our credit card company and are considering going to the news station. This is not right to pass these costs to buyers and by the looks of these reviews we are not the only ones that this is happening to. Our purchase was $5500.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response
We apologize for the confusion on your sofa. We do charge a restocking fee if there is not a manufacturer's defect and we understand you feel this is a defect.
We will go ahead and refund the full amount and hopefully you can come back and find something you will really enjoy.

Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I will never give Mathis Brothers my business. I went into the Ontario location to search for a new couch. As I was searching a store representative informed me that Mathis Brothers did a price match guarantee with other stores and would also double the difference in price. Knowing this I thought well let me check and see if any of the local stores had the same couch. After finding a store with the same couch in stock for over $350 cheaper I called Mathis Brothers and informed them of my findings. I hit every one of their rules regarding the price match. It was a brick and mortar store, the store is within 50 miles and the price of the couch isn't a sale price but what the store sells the couch for.

Well come to find out Mathis Brothers is dishonorable company because they informed me they couldn't give me the price match because they wouldn't make a profit on the couch. They have a policy in place but won't honor their own policy because they don't actually expect you to find another store with better prices where they'll need to double the difference. The company is a complete joke and I'll be sure to continue to take my time spreading my experience in any and every place that allows for a review. Mathis Brothers you can thank your representative Angelica for why this review will be everywhere. Sales order number **, Angelica - Sales rep, (909) 919-2499.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores response

Eugene - We apologize for the confusion on our Double the Difference Guarantee. We have guidelines so we compare apples to apples. We don't guarantee against online stores. As mentioned in our T&C's, the item must be in stock at the brick and mortar location. The online store you're comparing does not have items in stock. They have a showroom and then order from the manufacturer. That is not a similar comparison and less advantageous to customers. Let us know if we can be of any more help.

Mathis Brothers Furniture Stores Company Information