2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.43/5

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

IKEA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: June 22, 2020

I have 4 pieces of furniture that I ordered in early May from IKEA. I was forced to schedule delivery for June 14th...then rescheduled for the 15th. The delivery company they use is crappy XPO. These items did not come on the delivery dates. I contacted XPO and IKEA for an answer. Then I received emails and calls from XPO about it being delivered today between 12pm-4pm June 20th. The representatives on the phone changed the times of the delivery window to 9am-9pm. Another person said they never got the items from IKEA to the hub. I have contacted IKEA by email multiple times. I have spent 300 dollars and I want my refund! They can't even pick up the phones. It shuts right off after you select info on an existing online purchase. Why can't anybody get in touch with ikea? Why does my tracking keep changing to "out for delivery" to "ordered place" all the time???

How can IKEA take my 300 bucks before they actually get it on a truck for delivery? I still have not received a response to my emails! They are taking people's money and hiding. I don't trust IKEA and I will never buy from them again! The furniture are essential. Clothes still on the floor, no dresser! I am highly upset! Refund Please. You don't even know where my items are!!

Original review: June 13, 2020

After reading all these horrible reviews I was very hesitant to order next day expedited delivery from my local Ikea. I ordered two dressers and got a confirmation, order pending, email right after submitting the order. They give you the option to pick what time and date you desire to have your order delivered. The next day I got a phone call from the delivery company saying they were 30 minutes away and had my order. I asked them to leave it on the porch. They left it right on the porch and arrived exactly 30 minutes after like they stated on the phone. I was so happy they came through for me. Put everything together and it's all perfect, boxes were in perfect condition on delivery. Glad I took a chance and sent in my order considering the line at Ikea is around the building. Try the expedited shipping.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I placed a furniture order on 3/27, with a delivery date of 4/8. That date came and went with no update. Obviously this is a difficult time, but I was frustrated that IKEA was happy to take my money but made no effort to provide any communication once the delivery date had passed. I called customer service and was on hold for about one minute before Kerthia A. picked up. I wasn't expecting someone so friendly on the other end of the call, but she could not have been more helpful or kind. She was very transparent about the likelihood that my order would be delivered, so when I decided to cancel, she processed everything quickly. Even though I'm disappointed I won't get my order, the whole customer service process was surprisingly easy and helpful from start to finish.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Ikea is my first choice when furniture shopping because there are so many choices and because the prices are modest. While I realize many people do not want to purchase furniture that they have to assemble themselves, I do not mind doing that if the price is right. I also like the way that Ikea has all of their products displayed in a way that you can see how the finished product will look when assembled. Some of the items are very good quality, while others are not. I have never tried to return anything to the store so I cannot speak to the return policy.

One complaint that I have is that there are often not enough store employees on the floor to assist with questions. Also, due to the fact that there are so many products available, often times, the employees cannot answer questions about the products. This is why I do a lot of research online before going to the store. I also appreciate that when you go to Ikea to shop for furniture, there are also options to shop for home goods such as dishware and decorative items. And they serve food!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Ikea is a great experience and I really do like that they switch out their products every so often, though there are times when something is discontinued that I would have liked some notice before it went away. However the customer service is a different matter and it has made me reconsider buying from ikea on numerous occasions. The system used to track what is in stock and the store is unreliable and in NYC where it is like planning warfare to plan the logistics of a large pickup from ikea it is disheartening and infuriating. Delivery is another thing. XPO logistics is garbage.

I had the worst experience with ikea delivery in which the delivery company baldly stated that "YOUR truck does not have a driver" when I called them to check on the status of a delivery that was suppose to come that morning. The hemming and hawing and COMPLETE lack of accountability from XPO logistics was a huge turnoff. Ultimately it make me think for the most part ikea may be a fun place to browse and the designs are sometimes great but larger furniture purchases are best left for other retailers that can deliver.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

10/7 Purchase items from the store, schedule delivery on the 16/7. 16/7 until 7pm I hear nothing and I call them, I have to wait in line for 90mnt, just to find out they are unable to deliver it and will deliver it tomorrow. 17/7 No sign of delivery, I call them again (still long wait) cancel my delivery. 21/7 got cancellation email that they forget to put the ensemble service etc. Being told that someone will call me to confirm my card details within 5 working day. But until today I haven't got any call. They suggest me to call them. I need my money back IKEA! Unbelievable!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I saw towels sitting on a rack and picked them up for my new apartment because they were only $5 on the rack. I go down and check out and the lines are horrible and there is no social distancing anywhere. I get up there, they check me out and the bill comes to $120 about so I ask them what it was. They said the towels. I said, "Well can you take them off?" and they said, "No. You touched them." So I left mad and came back another day to return them. The day I come back the return people already went upstairs or left but the doors were still wide open so I called for someone and they said, "Oh they all left." I said, "Can you help me?" He replied, "No. I don’t know how. You can come back tomorrow." I said, "Heck with you" and walked out because they obviously don’t care about the customers or social distancing in a pandemic. I’d love to see them shut down since they are robbers and won’t follow rules.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

On June 28, I ordered an outdoor 3-piece SET, which was to include a table and 2 benches. Understood it was to arrive on 7/20. Phone notification from the shipping company indicated a time slot, but delivery happened hours earlier. Inconvenient, but not a huge issue. Unfortunately, upon assembling the set we found we had only one bench. An outdoor table with just one bench really isn't very useful. No word from anyone what happened to the second bench, or even a notice that it wasn't shipped. And so the nightmare begins.

After an hour spent - mostly on hold - with customer service, I am told that the bench I should have received is indefinitely out of stock. (But this was sold as a set!) I was offered a $45 credit for the missing flat bench. What am I to do with a picnic table with one bench? At that point, I said I would rather receive a different bench. I was told the set was no longer on sale, and I'd have to pay full $95 price for a backrest-type bench, which would be delivered 7/27. Not happy about it, but sending the whole works back after assembly was unfeasible.

7/27 came and went, with no delivery. Many, many repeated calls to customer service are met with a "we're too busy to answer" message and a prompt disconnection. Nothing I have here has any physical address on it, and the website advises it will only answer emails for cancellations. I can't even contact IKEA via any method now!

Meanwhile, my credit card bills arrive with nearly $600 in charges on them. I can't claim non-delivery, as I have part of the set; but without the final piece, the set is vastly devalued. I wish I had read some of the online reviews before I ordered! I know people who have shopped at Ikea stores, and were satisfied. Obviously mail order is a vastly different animal!

Original review: July 29, 2020

My order number was **. It was for four bases and four cabinets, two with solid doors and two with glass doors. Yesterday I got the order. I got four bases and two cabinets: one with glass doors and one with solid doors. I’m missing almost $500 of merchandise. I called. After a long while and trying different number combinations on the automatic answering, I finally got a person. He checked my order, the truck had delivered everything. He transferred me to a different number to get a new unit sent out. The new number said with the volume of calls it was receiving it could not take my call. It hung up on me.

Every time I call I try to call again, it hangs up on me. They aren’t taking calls. They tell you to contact them via email. But because of the volume of emails they are only accepting order cancellations. This company took almost $500 from me and gave nothing in return and won’t let me contact it to make a correction or return my money. I expect this from one of those Chinese online companies, but not from IKEA. I am very frustrated and a little angry. Answer your damn phones. Fix the problems you create. Don’t take people’s money and give nothing back. That’s theft.

Original review: July 26, 2020

We ordered a basket from IKEA and they would not deliver it to the California address. When I called no one could explain why so I had it delivered to my Florida address. I tried to call IKEA to see if they would send me a new label and allow me to send it out to California because FedEx wanted $115 to ship a 3 pound basket from Florida to California. I could not get a hold of anyone in customer service for over a month. When I finally did get a hold of somebody they couldn’t explain why it would not go to California and would not send a new label. They were of no help. I called their corporate customer service for over three months. No one ever returned my call or my emails. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN.

IKEA author review by ConsumerAffairs

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team