1.2/5 (63 ratings)

About IKEA

IKEA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

Ordered an item for deliver 9/19 and set the date based on when I would be home. Received confirmation email it would come 2 days earlier. Called to ensure scheduling was going to be on day I could be available to receive as it will not be delivered if I am not present. That went well. Kudos to Chrystal. Night before delivery at 7:35pm - Text received my order would arrive between 11am & 1pm next day as scheduled. YAY! Next morning (delivery day) text received 8:02am - delivery is now expected between 1pm & 5pm. Bummer, I had plans, but can adjust. At least it's on its way! 1:05pm - text received, your delivery will arrive in approximately 15 minutes. ~1:45pm they are here.

The drivers attempt to deliver another person's order. If I had not looked at the paperwork attached to the box, someone else would have been very unhappy about not getting their items. Delivery guys say, "Your stuff isn't in the truck. I don't know why they left it in our GPS to come to your home. I don't know why they did not contact you. Look at my handwritten note that says your item was missing and not put on the truck before we left the warehouse early in the morning. You need to call the store." No apologies, no thank you for catching our mistake. Hey, we live in a world where accountability seems to be lost on many people. I've accepted this. Moving on.

Call the 'store' - WAIT! You cannot actually contact the store! I call the 1-888.... number, go through the automated prompts, and finally get to talk with Charlene. She was mortified about the delivery mishap and that I did not receive any notification the delivery was going to not happen and that there was any issue. She transferred me to escalation, because she couldn't see anything on her end on the computer. She was delightful and really seemed to care about getting me the help I needed. She even insisted that I get a case number from the next person. That person was Brian. All he wanted to do was reschedule. He was resistant to giving me a case number as Charlene insisted that I ask for.

Brian had no details on why the delivery was delayed or missing. He only wanted to reschedule and call it good. I don't think Brian really is that invested in making sure my case got 'escalated'. I rescheduled, anyway and got my case number after becoming 'pushy'. Funny thing, during the lengthy phone call and hold times with Brian, I got notification from Ikea in the form of an email and text that I should call them because my delivery failed!

Fast forward one week to the new delivery time/date. I received that 4-hour window text the night before to confirm my order was on its way. WOO-HOO! It's coming. Being without our sofa for a week wasn't so bad. New delivery date morning is here, and I'm super excited, until for no reason in particular, I decided to check my email. There is an email from the delivery service that my order was delayed. At least they contacted me this time even if it wasn't a call or text (why did they need my phone number again?). No reason given or communication to even contact IKEA.

I contact IKEA and again go through the automated system and finally speak to Cynthia who makes me verify all my information again, and she tells me there is a note saying it is still scheduled for delivery on the same day and time. She transferred my call to Patrice in Resolutions. (Again, both women were delightful and patient.) I again confirm all my information, email, phone number, name, order number, case number, address... And she decides to reschedule my delivery as well. Wait a second, this feels a little like my conversation Brian a week ago. I asked Patrice if there is any way she can ensure the delivery will happen as scheduled and that the item I ordered is actually in stock because I looked up the website and it says it is. (I really was looking at it right then. What else do you do when you get put on hold so many times?)

Patrice explained to me that she was chatting (like a messenger app on the computer) with the delivery team. They were going to be able to deliver it on the date I needed. I asked her if she was sure the warehouse even had my item since the delivery team is a 3rd party company. Turns out Patrice cannot contact the warehouse or store the item is supposed to come from to ensure it's really in stock. WHAT???

I ended up canceling my order. If there is no way for the call center people to contact the warehouse people directly to ensure items are in stock, then the system is completely ineffective. Even better, the almost $1000 that they charged for my order and took out literally within seconds will take 7 - 14 days to be returned. The only guarantee I have so far is the handwritten case number she told me to take down over the phone. It sure would be nice to get an email confirmation that I had to cancel my order, and some sort of statement showing the money will be returned. Am I asking too much?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

My wife is a fan of Ikea and has been on the odd shopping trip to Murcia so when she decided we needed new dining room furniture, that's where it came from. The table and chairs were quite good and the other unit was Havsta Combi Armario which is a white painted wood unit (2 piece with glass doors). I reluctantly had to agree it looked quite good.

However, after a few months brownish/yellowish marks started to appear all over and we couldn't figure out what it was. Seemed like some sort of reaction to sunlight (we had used nothing to clean it so couldn't have been that). I contacted them via Twitter and they were very helpful and responsive and immediately arranged replacements after seeing the photos (more bloody assembly). The replacement arrived slightly damaged but we accepted as no marks. But, 2 months later the marks started to appear again, some worse than before. I had already told them that I suspected it was something in the process, maybe a coating or glue to cover defects prior to painting.

Now, being pretty pissed off, I sent more photos and the explanation came back, as it's natural wood you have to expect this (resin coming out of the wood).

So, if anyone is considering buying painted wood units from Ikea, best keep them out of the light. We'll have to repaint as you can see from just this one photo of one mark.

Here's their explanation word for word. "We have checked the problem with our quality colleagues. They tell us that the HAVSTA furniture is made of solid, natural wood and that the yellowish stains come from the resin in the wood. Furthermore, as you can see in the photos, it is more likely that they are coming out of the wood grain. If the furniture is exposed to a lot of sunlight, it takes less time for the stains to appear. Therefore, we do not consider this to be a quality defect, but rather a natural part of the wood. Good day!"

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

A month after ordering my order still has not been delivered. When I call customer service they cannot reship or cancel because the order is in process. I have never heard so may excuses in my life. DO NOT buy from IKEA,.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

Bought a couch... Paid for same day delivery. Couch was not delivered. USELESS.. I want a refund on the couch, I want a refund on the delivery. ** hopeless. I will never spent another penny in this ** store. I don't care if I have to pay 3x the amount elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Ikea has the worst delivery I have ever seen. We are moving to new apartment and Ikea is supposed to deliver bed stuff to us today. We wait for them the whole day. But they never made and parents over 70 have to sleep on floor.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

We ordered a MALM bed with two nightstands plus a mattress (All PAID ahead of time). This was scheduled for delivery to my daughter's apt in Bloomington, IN. We got a text saying one nightstand was out of stock, so the day before delivery we called IKEA and made sure what was in delivery and if it would deliver (bed, nightstand, mattress) so day of delivery I drove two hours to Bloomington to help daughter assemble daughter took off two classes. The thing is only the mattress delivered... Wife called them and found out they gave away our order. Not to mention the Fishers, IN MANAGER was very rude and refused to help with anything. They have no CUSTOMER SUPPORT SYSTEM, didn't care we didn't get delivery

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Ordered TV unit and shoe rack from IKEA online. Paid for delivery and assembly. Product was suppose to be delivered and assembled on 10th Aug between 1-4pm. Till 4:45pm did not hear anything from the delivery team, at roughly around 5pm received a call that they are coming to deliver the item. They reached around 5;15pm and then said that due to time restrictions now they can't assemble the item and the customer care will call to fix time for tomorrow.

For next two days did not receive any call then by the end of the day on Friday called the customer care and believe me it's not that easy to get through their line it always seems to be busy. Anyway it's a very pathetic service till today that is 16th of August my assembly is still not done. They have sent a damage piece and now it's gonna take few more days for them to replace it and then get it assembled. Till then my living room will be in mess. ALL THANKS TO IKEA AND THIER TERRIBLE SERVICE AFTER THE CUSTOMER HAS MADE THE PAYMENT.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

I purchased the Linanas sofa, which was delivered. After a few days, it was clear that this sofa did not fit my needs and is not very comfortable. I had to go into the store to pay a pick up fee to return it, as it wouldn't fit into my vehicle. Because I work, I was told I could get a later window for pick up. After several attempts to get a window where I could be there, I received notification for a 3-7 PM, which I jumped on and accepted through the text they sent. It confirmed and stated "Thank you". Immediately following, I got another text saying my window was 9AM - 1PM. I tried to reach someone, anyone, to explain why this wouldn't work due to my work schedule.

I will fast forward past endless phone calls where customer service, escalation, and the store do not seem to have a line of communication with one another. I made a pick up appointment for Saturday, 8/13. I waited for any sort of text confirmation or window, to have an idea of when I needed to be home. I started calling the store, asking for any information, and they informed me that the pick up would call 30 minutes before and that was all the notice I would get. I continued to wait. Hours later, I called back to see confirm this was still going to happen. I was given some sort of excuse that "someone" canceled my pick up. I was then told to call customer resolution the following day, and that is when I hit what I thought was a breaking point. After speaking with a manager and back to John, who set up the Saturday pick up, I was told I would have one on Sunday.

It is 5:30PM on Sunday 8/14. I have spent my entire weekend waiting on something yet to happen. I cannot get a call back from the Orlando Ikea, despite THREE calls where I was promised each time that someone would get "right back to me". I received some cryptic email stating I could not be reached - which is interesting, since my phone number is on all my paperwork, the same one used to contact me previously, and also the one I give to confirm my identity with them each time. I was then told the case was marked resolved. How is that even possible?

I cannot say enough about how poor the customer service is with Ikea. I do not think I've ever been lied to or treated so poorly by any company. My time clearly has no value and at no level has anyone taken any responsibility for this mess. Sure, Ikea's return policy looks great, until you actually try to use it. I've purchased many things from Ikea, but that comes to an end now.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Ikea should know better. When I complained to Ikea, they told me Ikea Mallorca was not Ikea. Well then don't sell your name to incompetents. You are to blame for what Ikea Mallorca does. Otherwise, tell them to stop using your name. Absolutely disgusting after-sales service here on the Island of Mallorca. Another two month wait for a mattress. I told my daughter not to buy from Ikea. But she didn't listen. I waited almost two months for mine.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

If I could I would give Ikea no stars. Full kitchen order put in November 2021. Multiple late deliveries, I think because they contract it out. When I say late, I mean by a couple of hours. Ordered a wall oven with our kitchen at a price of $1492 but since they were out of stock we were not able to get it. The oven is going to be discontinued in January....and guess what....it went from $1492 to over $1900. This is seriously some bullcrap....sorry blood pressure getting high. Waiting on last piece (wall oven) with a delivery between 11-3pm. As I type this, it's currently 438pm. It is what is at this point, 9 months of horrible service! Call center personnel are OK, they only can do so much. I forgot, they don't transfer items from store, another WTF. TAKE HEED TO THIS WARNING....they are good for small items, but large items like full kitchen....DO NOT DO IT! I'm done venting, hope this info help your decision.

IKEA author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

IKEA Company Information