1.22/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for a good furniture store?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

IKEA

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 18, 2017

960 IKEA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I would suggest you make sure by opening the boxes there that all is what you ask or you risk to run around for erroneous item like it happen to me. I decide to take a new office chair which is compose by a base with wheel and a top. I had to pay in a different department because the printer on the floor was broken that trigger a series of delay like the base was stored too high and a special forklift was needed it and for security concern could not operate while store is open so I had to pick up the chair the day after the helpful manager that give to me at my question, "This the wrong chair, has no wheel." He had me convince that the wheel will be inside the base box only to my disappointment at home to have pick up the wrong item without the wheel; too busy, too superficial, too stupid. Don't know. Only sure thing is that I'm on my third trip to IKEA for a stupid chair!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Purchased MORGONGAVA latex mattress Sept 2015, we tried mattress at the Orlando many location many times before purchase. The mattress is claimed to be 100% Latex (85% natural15% synthetic) medium firm. The mattress was much firmer than expected but was told it would take time to soften up since latex is more dense. We had 2 toppers during the 2 years we have had it. The mattress also smells like a barnyard. Looking at the label our mattress is 87% latex 13% wool (from the label). Is that why it is so hard, maybe. It has also never soften up as we were told it would. So we thought we ended up with a defective product.

Tried explaining this at IKEA Orlando and they would not even look at it at all. Was told there is no recall so there is no problem and no warranty. So beware of what you buy at IKEA, make sure you can live with it no matter what. We now have a $1000 100lb queen size piece of rubber. That is useless. We had to buy a new mattress because we started waking up with back pain and numb extremities. Buyer Beware, IKEA. My other suggestion is make a scan copy of you receipt, as it will start to fade immediately. I have receipts that look blank from items I bought within 30 days.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I was recently (10/14/2017) at the Plantation store location & made it all the way to the register & the lady (I do not remember her name) would not let me purchase this item. I asked her how much it cost & she did not look it up. She kept telling me it was part of a set & need a barcode. The whole time I was shopping at this store location I saw this exact same item placed all over the store in different locations. It was not advertised in any way shape or form as being part of set & I only wanted to buy one. The lady on register was very rude to me. I just smiled & walked away after nicely telling her I will just go & buy the exact item from a different store. She did not even bother to get assistance from a manager or anything. The whole experience made me feel disvalued as one of your customer. Very unprofessional & not at all how you treat a customer.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I purchased a bed frame from IKEA and paid 99$ for shipping. First time They did not come to deliver according to schedule but requested change of delivery date. Then they showed up on the rescheduled date but told me one piece is missing. So I called IKEA customer service immediately but no one answered. I refused accepting the delivery because of the missing part, and later was finally able to talk to Ikea customer service. They told me that it was my fault for not accepting the delivery; had I done so, I could tell them about the missing part and they would resend it. I told them of course I cannot accept a "partial delivery" and demanded a second day re-delivery or full refund. But they refused to refund for the $99 delivery fee, according to their "terms and conditions".

I was very angry because clearly it was their fault for the missing part. Also in order for me to take the rescheduled delivery I have to shift work schedule several times. I yielded to the customer service and after many back and forth, especially ask to speak to her manager; they finally agree to refund the delivery fee. The whole phone call took 1.5 hours. The other piece of information: when I met with the delivery driver for delivery, they told me that when they picked up the pieces from IKEA warehouse, they also found out about the missing part and told IKEA people. But IKEA people told the delivery company to go ahead and keep delivering with a part missing. When I think about this, I feel like I was set up. I will never buy from Ikea anymore. They don't respect their customers at all.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

As such IKEA products are well engineered products and if they are installed wrong or you missed to include any part during installation then it can impact the entire integrity of the product/structure! I Designed and Bought a Pax wardrobe from Elizabeth, NJ store and paid for delivery and installation! Installation was done wrong by XPO logistics from the beginning along with scratches on the sliding panel/door which resulted the sliding doors to fall apart. Sliding doors of pax wardrobe fell out due to wrong installation of the frame. Sliding door has a gap some part of the frame was missing which resulted to have gap between the sliding door and wardrobe. Front panels of sliding door frame has scratches since the doors came out of frame channel it create scratch marks. I document these issues on day one and send pictures to ** and asked them to fix it.

2 Sundays I wasted waiting for Ikea/XPO to show up and they didn't. Once XPO person came the person realized the Pax has issues with frame and ordered new frame. Once again XPO didn't showed up. Therefore I wasted 3 Sundays + living with a Pax wardrobe which can collapse anytime and can injure child and people at my home. I have called Ikea call center/Maryland to schedule return with full money back and waiting to happen... Overall Maryland customer service is not trained in their workflow + Ikea Elizabeth office not trained with workflow and store manager and floor associates are low in customer service and XPO need to hire skilled 3rd party contractors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I never seen more unprofessional and disrespectful way of doing business as it is in Ikea. The delivery is always late or they don't come or they bring it and sign with other people. The customer service is rude and unprofessional. I will never ever buy anything anymore from Ikea. They don't worth neither our time nor stress. Today they didn't call me upon the delivery when I specified to call my number and left a note. I signed for the second delivery asking again to call me and they delivered the furniture to somebody else. The customer service refused to help saying that I signed and got it. I don't know how to return my money now and I have no furniture. Evil company with bunch of unprofessionals.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

On July 30, 2017 we ordered a desk top. Our credit card was credited for $316.92 at that time. XPO Logistics tried to deliver on 8/5 or 8/11, a Saturday. We weren't home. Went to the IKEA website to find a phone number to call and called only to sit for 30 minutes with no connection. So I tried a chat that must have been thru Facebook. Learning that they only delivery on Tuesdays and Saturdays I rearranged to have the product redelivered on Tuesday 8/22. Stayed home from work all day only to receive a Facebook message at 8 PM that they wouldn't be delivering it that day. IKEA got with XPO and by the sounds of it the product had been lost. I reordered the product and asked if I could have it delivered to the warehouse here in Grand Rapids and I'd pick it up at my convenience since this Tuesday and Saturday delivery wasn't working.

On August 26th I contacted IKEA thru Facebook and they hadn't seen it had reach the warehouse yet. I told them I wanted to pick it up in the GRAND RAPIDS, MI area. IKEA said, "Your order is still in transit to the delivery hub. Once it arrives, we'll be happy to reach out to the delivery company, XPO Logistics, to discuss your pickup options." In the meantime I got a phone call saying they were going to deliver it on the 9th. I messaged again. Got another FACEBOOK message saying that it was ready for ME to pick up but it was in ROMULUS!!! 2 hours away. That's not Grand Rapids area!!! They tried to deliver it anyway.

We were out of town. They called and I told them I wrote a note and left it on the door with my signature and they said they wouldn't leave it! On Sept 10, I messaged AGAIN and said I wanted to cancel this order. As of today October 4 I have not seen my credit for the full refund with the delivery costs. Having to contact them thru Facebook is ridiculous when I tried the phone number too.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Placed an online order through IKEA.com and paid for home delivery. Delivery date for whatever reason was a couple WEEKS from purchase date, but set for Monday Oct. 2nd. Never received a call the day prior for the 4 hour window, but took off the day so I'd be there just in case. They called at 1 pm of delivery day to say it needed to be moved to the following day, but didn't know why. Promised I would receive a call that night with the 4 hour window for Tuesday delivery. Never received that call, BUT I stayed home the following day - just in case. I called Ikea, and they called the delivery company... came back online to tell me they were missing parts and that they couldn't promise when the furniture would be delivered. HUH?!?! I've always heard people make fun of Ikea and now I understand why. Another customer lost!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I am writing this review to give everybody a huge warning of ordering online with IKEA. I placed an order over six weeks ago and was not delivered as planned on original date. When I reschedule to the next date I had a window of 9 am to 1 pm. I called after 1 pm to check on the status. I was told they were running late. After 5 PM I called back and was told that my order was not on the delivery truck and they made an error. With no exaggeration I have never called them without a wait time of at least 45 minutes per call. The store is over two hours away from me, at this point I was so frustrated all I wanted was a refund. I was told I would be issued a refund.

After a week I called back again, waited over an hour to speak with someone and was promised by the end of the day I would be issued a refund. A week later still no refund and I call yet again and was told They haven't approved me for a refund yet, so essentially the two other customer service reps I spoke to you lied to me telling me that the refund was out and would be issued into my bank. The man I spoke to that day told me how embarrassed he was for his company that this happens all the time. Six weeks later no product no refund. I have since filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as well as my bank for fraud and will never shop at IKEA again. Do yourself a favor especially if you're going to order online. Don't do it. Terrible company and horrible customer service.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I have IKEA Billy bookshelves from 1987. That makes them 30 years old this year, and they are still holding up. Never had a problem putting anything together, except maybe nailing the backs on. I've missed centering a few nails. I always find something useful, interesting, well-made, and/or inexpensive there. I love their coffee and jams, too, and bring home several bags and jars of each.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Went into my first Ikea in Denver while the girls were shopping, I made it my mission to see where all this stuff came from, even though the packaging appears to be from Sweden. You have to look at the very small print on the bottom. Didn't find one item made in the US. It's pretty much just all Chinese junk. Poorly made, out of questionable material, but nicely packaged. Out of all the thousands of items there, you've got to figure that there has got to be a few items, that the material that it's made from, would pose a health risk. Needless to say, we all walked out of there with just getting a few bottles of water.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I wanted a new kitchen in our new home so my friend who got an IKEA kitchen & loved it. Boy, I should have remembered she hired a planner. IN MY CASE: HELL - their movers do not move. I am waiting for appliance specialist for my fridge after 4th time because the movers did not bring strips to move fridge upstairs. The kitchen order was never complete and took 4 more deliveries to get final items. The people do not care - they just apologize. Worse service. They need to fix problem spending a week on the phone tracking and reordering missed items.

I have had double mastectomy and helping movers because they don't want to move the items. Light at the end of the tunnel their assemblers figured what was missing and also went to IKEA store to pick up missing items as not to delay install. Thanks Arben suggested to photocopy receipts and laminate as they will fade in a year and without proof IKEA will not honour warranty - NOT HONEST ABOUT WHAT IS NEEDED RE RECEIPTS AS I AM SURE THEY ARE AWARE OF THIS - it has to be the actual receipt. Jerome at EXPO assisting with getting right team out to finish delivery.

My conclusion if I could give a 0 - I would and that if some of the cabinets were not installed I would have hired a truck and dumped it at the store. My saving grace was Arben & Jerome. No one needs this type of nonsense and glad to hear other stories. When someone mentions IKEA it is not about the great product but the horror story and IKEA I hope you are listening otherwise your customers will show their rear walking out the door!!! See my photo of what we had to carry because some of the movers felt they did not want to move my items. Imagine a person 70 years old and someone who has had cancer breast surgery trying to move them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

IKEA in Russia is example of low quality services. Queues for paying for purchases in the store. Paying in store is totally stupid organize. Have a queue 10 or more processing box but queue always more that 20 customer. IKEA may create seating place like in airport and provide ticket system with numbers. For people comfortable wait.

Internet store is working unproperly. Most of product does not available in Internet store and it not only for small objects. Also largest item also does not available. Could you connect your delivery service with you internet market. Internet site work unproperly in all browser. I use Safari, Firefox and Chrome and each one contain problem with market and have work equally poor. Please rent a quality officer in your internet solution for audit your website. No contact center and support. No phone, email or another contact service for problem solving in international or regional level. All doing as workaround. Total: very nice solution with nice product but stupid store process organization and low cost internet solution with a lot of problem.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Went to IKEA to purchase furniture for apartment. The company XPO Logistics, who is a third party shipping company that delivers for IKEA should be investigated and shut down. This is definitely a fraudulent company. Delivery was supposed to take place today on September 24th. Received an automated phone call this morning from this number confirming delivery between 9 am and 1 pm - 1-877-636-4033. One o'clock came and went and still no furniture. Called IKEA customer service, and after customer service got in contact with the company, XPO Logistics told IKEA that they could not deliver my furniture because it could not fit on the truck! I have never heard such irresponsible nonsense in my life. Do not schedule a delivery and promise the items can be delivered if your shipping company is going to keep pulling a fast one.

What I do not understand is how IKEA did not demand you come back with a truck that can fit the furniture and deliver later in the day. I had to call IKEA customer service myself to find out where my delivery was. When you call the above number I stated for XPO Logistics, it will ring like you are going to be connected to customer service, and then you are disconnected. I went to IKEA personally to get a refund for my order and saw all the "SMALL" boxes myself that could have easily fit on the truck with no problem. XPO Logistics has had beyond numerous complaints against them. Why IKEA continues business with this shipping company leaves a lot to be desired. I guess they like aggravating customers off and losing out on business.

This is surely not a way to run a business and I would like to warn others if they are interested in any delivery or assembly services that IKEA provides that you will not get your merchandise. Please investigate XPO Logistics Shipping Company. Received no apologies for the inconvenience and they should just be shut down and put out of business. It is also unacceptable that IKEA would let their shipping company tell them such nonsense when they came to pick up the order to deliver. Whomever took care of that issue on IKEA's end this morning as well should also be reprimanded.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I’m a student at UWaterloo and I’m new to Canada. I moved into a student apartment and ordered a couple pieces of furniture from IKEA. The first time the delivery came, they brought broken pieces. I had to send it back and wait another week for the replacement to come. The second time around, they came with the wrong pieces that did not fit my order. When I called to ask for a replacement again I was put on hold for 40 minutes before someone attended to me. Keep in mind here that I’m an 18 year old, leaving home for the first, moving to this strange country and having to deal with all of this on my own was really not making the transition easy. I have used IKEA before in all the other countries I lived in. I have never had such a horrible experience before. The IKEA here in Canada are just horrible.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

My name is Kristina ** and this is the first time writing a review like this. The reason why I decided to write about my experience is because my patience is gone due to unexpected disrespectful and unprofessional customer service that me and my husband experienced with the purchasing in IKEA store. The most important is that I am trying to notify the CEO of IKEA or a general manager about what is going on with the service that they offer. I don't want nobody to experience such a misbehavior next time. Please, take in consideration this complaint and I will be waiting for actions that might take in order to resolve this issue.

On 09/04/2017, I bought several items including: (1) INGATORP extnd tbl 43 1/4/61 " black - Art # 802.170.72 - $349.00, (1) DAGSTORP sect,3st Laglig gray NA - Art # 802.945.36 - $499.00, (1) DAGSTORP so3 Laglig gray NA - Art # 602.945.37 - $299.00, (4) HENRIKSDAL chr frm 21 " brown-black NA - Art # 401.526.14 - $60.00, (4) HENRIKSDAL chr cvr Nolhaga gray-beige NA - Art # 703.016.36 - $39.00. I made this purchase at 100 IKEA Drive Paramus, NJ on 09/04/2017 at 16:08:37 with the cashier ID # ** (a receipt is attached to this letter).

To start with: Within a couple of days I received a phone call from IKEA stating that (1) INGATORP extnd tbl 43 1/4/61 " black - Art # 802.170.72 - $349.00 is out of stock and they will have to reorder the table for us in order to complete the purchase. Then she started explaining me in a rude manner how it works and that I will have a store credit on this item. I asked for explanation, simply to understand how it works (store credit system). The representative, not hiding displeasure, repeated what she said without any type of explanation. So, I needed to repeat my question 4 times in order to hear something reasonable from her. She explained to me that the credit store works in a sense of how they process a transaction.

In order for them to reorder the item, you have to have a credit store (as I already paid for my purchase in full right in the store before even receiving my items) and once they will have a table back in stock we should be notified about the delivery date. She also notified me that we not going to receive a table on 09/16/2017. At the end of the conversation I agreed if it needed to receive my table and complete that transaction correctly. The day before delivery on 09/15/2017 I contacted IKEA just to make sure that we will receive everything that was on our order# 262044571. The representative told me by checking the order # that we will receive everything but not a table as it was placed on credit store and I have to allowed some time to receive table back. I said ok, will wait for the delivery then.

The delivery was scheduled on 09/16/2017 at 09:00-13:00 When delivery guys came in and unpack everything we found out that (1) DAGSTORP sect, 3st Laglig gray NA - Art # 802.945.36 - $499.00 was missing and asked right away where is the sectional sofa that we supposed to receive. Delivery guy told us that this is what IKEA gave us for delivery and that they don't have anything else in a truck. Once he left I started calling to customer service and try to find a response of what just happened. First time I was dropped from the phone call. Then I called one more time and representative placed on hold for 30 minutes. I decided to call again and resolve my issue. The next representative by opening the order # ** and listening to my issue with delivery just told me that she doesn't even see such item under placed order.

So, can you imagine my frustration? I was so mad that nobody can help me! I paid almost $2000 for this terrible service! I spent 3 hours on the phone because then she hang up on me and there was nobody knowledgeable and responsible! I was asking for reference # or their names in order to know who told me what but no one said anything! My last phone call was by speaking with representative ** which "created" a case# for table: ** as well as a case# for sectional sofa: **. He stated that nobody with whom I spoke earlier never placed cases with my issue, so he placed some notes and told me to wait 48 hours until resolution team will review the order and call me back with updates. I was waiting since 09/16/2017 until 09/19/2017 when I called by myself again to know how the process goes.

The first representative told me that she doesn't see such case# or cannot find an item# and I immediately disconnected from that phone call. As I work every day its inconvenient for me to be on a line for such a long time with a person who have no idea what is going on! I called one more time and explained my whole situation to a girl that was listening very attentively and then at the end simply told me that IKEA don't have that sectional sofa in stock. She also stated that the previous representative never placed cases for missing items, and even never send it to the resolution team! I simply cannot describe my emotional condition at that point of time, I was really mad on everything including myself that I ever chose to go shopping to IKEA! So, I asked her to contact me with the manager, a competent person who can finally resolve this craziness.

Within a conversation with manager of IKEA, **, I found out that this item (1) DAGSTORP sect, 3st Laglig gray NA - Art # 802.945.36 - $499.00 was out of assembling line since August and discontinued selling. I don't even know why employees of the store never notified us, as the person helped us to order everything in the store on 09/04/2017. The sofa was in a showroom and theoretically everyone could buy that item without knowing this fact. So, ** scheduled a delivery of table on 09/30/2017 with the order # ** (I am not even talking about the time frame, the longest delivery ever!) and I needed to speak with my husband first as I wanted to return the other sofa. We ordered both just to complete a design. ** gave me her email and said that I can contact her through email. Moreover, I asked her to respond to me ASAP as I was so mad and tired of this situation.

Within a couple of minutes I sent her an email stating that we want return small sofa and receive back the refund in the amount of $798.00 for those two items:

(1) DAGSTORP sect, 3st Laglig gray NA - Art # 802.945.36 - $499.00, (1) DAGSTORP so3 Laglig gray NA - Art # 602.945.37 - $299.00. Today is 09/21/2017 and ** never responded back. I again contacted IKEA to find out what is going on with the table and the representative ** told me that we will receive the table on 09/30/2017 and she will place a note about picking up of the sofa at the same day of delivery.

Later on today, out of nowhere, I received an IKEA card with case # ** (1) INGATORP extnd tbl 43 1/4/61 " black - Art # 802.170.72 - $349.00 and refund of the price of this table plus taxes, which is in total $372.99 (the copy of the receipt is attached). I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS COMPANY, SUCH A HORRIBLE SERVICE AND VERY UNPROFESSIONAL STAFF!!! I don't want to keep anything that we bought in IKEA and what was delivered, so I just want to return 4 chairs and small sofa and RECEIVE MY MONEY BACK IN FULL!

THIS IS VERY ANNOYING AND STRESSFUL! By paying money we expect to get a great service, but this company cannot offer worthy service for its customers!!! Please, review this case ASAP! I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem. I will wait ONE WEEK before seeking third-party assistance. Please contact me by phone **.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I have never been more dissatisfied with a company before. I will NEVER buy from IKEA again and I do not recommend anyone else doing so. First, I ordered a mattress and paid the delivery fee (not cheap) because I could not/and did not want to deal with moving a mattress. The day of delivery I received a call four hours before the said delivery time, I was not home and said I would be back by 3, still two hours before the scheduled delivery time. The delivery man called me back not once, but TWO more times to see if I was home yet. When I got home he was sitting outside my house waiting. I saw only one man walk out of the truck and was sort of confused. He then told me told his partner he could leave, so it would just be him moving the bed.

In other words, it was him AND I moving the mattress. If I would have known I would have been moving the mattress in myself, I would have never paid the delivery fee! I literally had to pick up one of the end of the mattress and help him move it. If I wouldn't have or couldn't have helped, I do not see how the job would have gotten done. After that awful experience I emailed IKEA and told them about my experience. They offered me a gift card that I should have received between 5-7 business days. It is now day 8 and I have no gift card.

To add to this terrible experience I am unhappy with my mattress. It is too firm for me, so I called the store and asked how I should go about returning my mattress for a new one. I have never felt so disrespected by anyone in my life. The man on the phone talked to me like I was a 2 year old and would not answer any of my questions. He said bring the mattress and buy a new one, like I obviously knew that information, but how do I go about it, will someone pick up the mattress for me? Do I just bring it into the store? What will happen if I get a cheaper mattress? Etc. etc. etc. I am livid!!! SO disappointed with the customer service I have received. Very rude.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Attention IKEA Customers, please ready before you buy #NEVER #TRUST IKEA #DELIVERY DATE. #TERRIBLE SERVICE!!! Bought furniture on Sept 2nd, 2017 for #SOLSTASofa, #MICKEdesk, #NORDLIBed and #FLINTAN chair. It was already insane that the delivery date was 16 days later (Sept 18). On delivery date, Sept 18, 12:35 pm E.S.T, I got a call from IKEA saying the delivery truck was #broke down, and need me to rescheduled delivery to Sept 20. I paid CAD169.40 for assembly fees, but when I told IKEA to #reschedule the assemble arrangement, IKEA told me they can come 8 days later (Sept 28, 2017).

I cannot stand to sleep on air bed for another 8 days. Ended up requested them to delivery the sofa only, and I'll buy bed, desk, and chair at another place. At first they refused as they said all items must be canceled and I need to repurchase and rearrange for delivery. Ended up the manager agreed to only deliver the sofa, and refund the desk, bed and chair. I suppose to get the #SOLSTA Sofa on Sept 20 (1 pm to 5 pm), at around 3:15 pm, IKEA called and said their #deliverytruckbrokedown again. Up to now, Sept 20, 6:49 PM E.S.T, I still not get my sofa. It is my one last time to reschedule the sofa to Sept 22, 2017. See if their truck breakdown on Sept 22 or not. I`ll update you all. Is it an excuse, a lie or a truck really broke down twice, it is solely your own judgment. BELIEVE IT OR NOT.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Trying to get info about order that was suppose to arrive on 13Sep2017. NO sign of delivery. Tracking # is a complete joke. Received one - doesn't tell any useful info, in fact it doesn't even show up as a legit # according to FEDEX. WTF?? How did this company get so big with customer service so BAD.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Found a sofa. Price was reasonable, but not outstanding. Still seemed like best option. But of course it's IKEA, so getting the thing to my place in Madison is a nontrivial task. Still, seemed they would deliver. So tried to order it online. Whoops! Entered everything only to find at last page that it was not in stock. Waited three weeks for it to get in stock, and ordered immediately. Then a 2.5 week wait. Got email stated it was received by shipper, and they'd contact me about delivery. A full week goes by. Then finally a recorded phone call tells me they'll deliver at a time that won't work for me. Have to call IKEA, not shipper. 35 min wait to get to a person, who calls the shipper, and then informs me that they will call me to reschedule!

Bottom line is this was all a complete waste of time. Wish I'd gone with a local furniture store. I still have yet to get the sofa, and go through the process of assembling it, but definitely regret the decision to wait on IKEA. No way they are worth the hassle. The price simply isn't good enough (it's marginally lower than local for similar quality). Won't do this again!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I was at IKEA store #409 and I purchased so many items, I ended up spending about $325. I accidentally left behind a couple items in the front of the parking lot entrance. Keep in mind There was no one helping in the store or to help load the items in the car for me. I was on my own looking for the items. I was sent with just a list to look for my own items instead of the employee assisting me because they weren't even busy that day I was there. I returned the next day to retrieve the items I forgot and was told there was nothing that could be done even though I showed a receipt. I'm so disappointed in the service. I had my kids with me. I was overwhelmed doing everything on my own with no assistance, to then not even have my things replaced the least they could have done... I will never shop at IKEA again. They just lost a customer. If I could give them no stars I would. The parking lot is still IKEA property...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Ordered a kitchen playset for my granddaughter, it will take at least 4 weeks to deliver. Call customer service for a delivery date, was on hold for over 30 min. and when someone answered the phone was very rude about when the part would be sent. I don't understand why it take so long to have an order sent, like they don't really care about their customers. Most of the items they sell look like college dorm furniture at best. Will not ever buy from them again or recommend buying from them. The website they tell you to use is impossible to get on, had to get a person from the store to get a simple order completed and they had problems too. Never again will I use them, they sell very low quality product at a high price.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

This is my first time leaving a review like this, but I've honestly never been so livid about a customer experience before and need to express this. I found out last week that I'll be having company over this weekend, visiting from my home in another country. Since my home is so far away, I haven't had company in my current apartment for the year that I've lived here -- so I didn't have somewhere comfortable for them to sleep set up yet. I went to IKEA and I bought a great sleeper couch and I scheduled to have it delivered the following day, Sunday. Yes, another delivery horror story, I've read several in the reviews here -- but I don't own a car because I live in a city apartment, and I've had Ikea delivery work flawlessly once in the past.

So after I stayed at home instead of going out on a nice Sunday morning waiting for my delivery and it never showed up, I called in and they said that they were notified that morning that the delivery company was overbooked and they would have to reschedule for Wednesday at the earliest. I was deeply annoyed by the inconvenience, and by the fact that they knew about the problem and could've contacted me before I waited for the delivery for four hours if they cared at all about this. But they refunded my delivery fee and I confirmed that I would be able to leave work early on Wednesday to receive the couch.

Of course, when I called after the couch was again not dropped off on Wednesday evening, they told me that when they rescheduled the delivery on Sunday they had entered the date correctly in one place and incorrectly in another, meaning that the couch will arrive two weeks from now, when no one will be visiting me for a long time. Meanwhile, when someone from home finally comes to visit me, I get to go through the embarrassment of not having a good place for them to sleep -- not to mention the hell (and expense) of finding an air mattress at some point during two 12-hour work days and then lugging it home on public transit.

To their credit, the representatives that I spoke to both times were very nice, but in this case it doesn't matter. And after the second missed delivery, the only thing they had to offer was that I could contact them to possibly receive some compensation after I get the couch. This will require time and effort on my part after the time and effort of waiting through two delivery times and two phone calls with lots of time spent on hold. I used to cherish and anticipate the process of assembling IKEA furniture, but I have to admit that when I finally receive this damn couch it'll always remind me of the ** I had to go through for it and the embarrassment and serious inconvenience of not having it when I needed it.

I'll probably never shop at IKEA again, which is a shame because up until this point I've been a faithful and enthusiastic customer. Missing one delivery window would've been alright, but two is entirely different and ridiculous -- especially with no real solution or compensation offered. It's really obvious that IKEA doesn't care about the actual lives of its customers at all -- this doesn't surprise me given the size of the corporation, I'm just very disappointed and wish that I could take back every penny I've spent there.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

We recently purchased the IKEA PAX units for our closet and had been working really hard on planning and my purchase. I waited all day long for IKEA to deliver and assemble my furniture and they said the weather had them backed up. Apparently the person I was speaking with about my IKEA delivery and assembly was not local. As the lies carried on for a few moments. I informed them I'm in AZ and it's not raining and that this is crazy. I paid to have my items delivered and assembled from the IKEA store in Tempe and then after a few more calls and the run around.

The IKEA delivery driver said they'll just take our order back to the store and we could pick it up later? “What!” I said. We had to call an assembly company that specializes in IKEA furniture assembly in Phoenix and they picked up our order and delivered our furniture, assembled and installed our new PAX units and it was done in one day. I would not recommend IKEA assembly services and suggest using an assembly company that you find - not IKEA's. IKEA did refund all of our money for the delivery and assembly and said they were sorry about the delivery and assembly, but we should have waited. Really? Great furniture and friendly employees. But the delivery and assembly from IKEA in Tempe needs help!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I ordered a couple of office organizers, despite the fact that the shipping cost was very high and that I wouldn't get them for two weeks. They seemed to be just what I wanted, so I went ahead with it, despite my reservations. The two-weeks-out estimated delivery date came and went. Finally, two days AFTER it was to arrive, and after I had already made an inquiry, my order shipped. All I got as a response to my inquiries was a curt email telling me to track the order on the FedEx website. The link they supplied was even to its general worldwide page, not even to the tracking page.

FedEx claimed it would be delivered sometime during the day this past Saturday. It wasn't. Now it's a holiday weekend and I don't have a prayer of getting my items for the next few days. Looks like it'll be over three weeks -- in fact, closing in on a month -- before I get my items. Furthermore, IKEA Customer Service is unresponsive and generally poor. Email them through their website (if it even works), and they claim they'll get back to you -- get this: Within 5 business days. Really?! It's email, not a guy running a scroll to another city-state! I don't plan to ever order anything from IKEA again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Wow... I mean, just WOW. Where to begin? I blame myself first, for ordering items that needed to be delivered and NOT first checking the small print about how anything over a certain weight (I'd guess whatever the UPS/FedEx max is, which is 75 lbs, I think) would be delivered by truck only, AND that myself or someone over 18 would have to be available to received said delivery, all while waiting within a 4 hour window - WITH NO ABILITY TO TRACK ANYTHING ABOUT SAID DELIVERY online, or by phone as well. I've spent almost TWO hours (total) on hold over multiple calls. No one answers the phone during their stated business hours. Is the department closed for some special reason? If so, how about an outgoing message stating so? Oh, it's open, but just no one answers the phone - GREAT (insert dripping sarcasm here).

I'm also absolutely MIFFED, that in this day and age of advanced technology, IKEA doesn't even provide the online option to VIEW PAST ORDERS, or even the current order that has yet to be shipped and/or delivered... SERIOUSLY??? You have to fill out an online form, which gets sent to someone (likely hiding in a hole somewhere underneath one of the massive store locations), who might respond within 5 business days?!? IS THIS ** for REAL??? Oh, and if you find yourself able to locate the "Contact Us" page, guess what! There's NO PHONE NUMBER(S) listed anywhere. Yeah. Awesome. Like I said at the beginning... WOW. Just WOW.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I ordered a mattress from Ikea to be delivered 3 weeks after purchase. They outsource to a company called XPO which has a one star review. The delivery driver arrived at my door, peered his head instead my house and said he could not deliver the mattress. He is not allowed to remove it from the box but would be happy to leave it in my living room for me to carry up. This is an 80+ pound queen mattress. Had it been manageable I would have not hired a professional delivery crew. He took the mattress back when I did not agree to accept responsibility for damages if he removed it from the box nor left in my living room. I am dismayed that Ikea does not notify its customers of this caveat of boxed mattresses and delivery restriction. The delivery document they hand you with purchase does not state their declared delivery motto either. Ikea has lost a customer going forward.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

We had purchased one sofa and two beds from Ikea, also we fixed delivery and assembly dates and paid for these two as well. The day after they delivered 10 pieces instead of 13! Plus one of the box was not belong to us! After an exhausted phone calls, they said they're sorry but we need to go their store to get the missing parts. We go and get it the day after, but meantime assembly team go back without fixing the furnitures because of missing parts. Then we call 6 more times and they said sorry! Again, and gave as a new assembly date for 2 days later, meantime we were sleeping on the floor with two kids! Finally when new date came nobody's show up! When we call them to learn what happened they said because of the missing parts they cancelled it! So simply problem is still on and Ikea people now saying that earliest assembly date is 2nd of September! Thank you Ikea for ruining our time... I will never, ever even buy a single article from you.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Spent over 2 hours on hold with customer service over a 2 day period to be told the local delivery company received my furniture order 2 days later than the date listed on Ikea's tracking site. Also was told local company has 7-10 business days to deliver to me although that is nowhere stated on Ikea's website (esp by the estimated delivery date). No concession was made to me on a $1700 order.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

My order was missing one cushion for an ottoman. I spoke with Mathew on 8-18-17 and he was pleasant and helpful. I appreciate that with on-line ordering. I have a case # and new order # and the cushion will be mailed to me. Thank you.

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

IKEA has gained a cult following thanks to its affordable pricing and multifunctional pieces. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use IKEA furniture in your home.

• IKEA Family program: The IKEA Family program is free to sign up and gives you exclusive access to promotions and special sales. Some of the benefits include free tea or coffee at the store restaurant and 90 day price protection.
    • Worldwide locations: IKEA stores can be found across the globe in 41 different countries operating more than 330 stores including franchises, with more locations being added all the time.
    • Multiple delivery options: IKEA flat-packs its boxes for easier transport, but if you don't have room to take your new furniture with you, delivery by truck is available for a flat fee. You can combine several items into a single shipment for the same price.
    • Business furniture: While commonly thought of as a residential furniture store, IKEA also has a variety of items for businesses at affordable price points.
    • In-store restaurant: In many IKEA stores they provide an IKEA Restaurant that features Swedish-style cuisine so you can take a lunch break or grab a quick snack to improve your shopping experience.
    • Best for: Cost-savvy shoppers, families, DIYers and individuals.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs