1.21/5
  • 1 star
Based on 178 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

IKEA

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

1005 IKEA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I made an online order of $4000 worth of furniture. First delivery date was weeks out despite having inventory available. Delivery came and was incomplete with less than half of the order, including one item that was severely damaged (box crushed in half! Damaged goods inside). Delivery drivers said that is “all they have for the delivery”. Called and spent 6 HOURS on hold with IKEA, without speaking to anyone. Called again the next day and spent 1.5 hours on hold, only to be told they would need to reorder for me and that first available date is 3 weeks out for delivery — making it 2 months since my order was placed. Terrible service!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Horrible! Annoying! Humiliating! Simply pass their delivery service because you will never get your stuffs and will never get notified of anything. You paid and you get a scheduled delivery date. It will not come then you call again then you will get a new delivery date and it still will not come. No phone call, nothing! You have to doubt if everything is real or is it just a dream otherwise how come no one give you any regard on your order? Such an irresponsible corporation, both Ikea and XPO Logistics!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I ordered 3 floating bookshelves for my sons playroom on December 6th for one of his Christmas presents. 2 weeks went by and I never received a tracking number. I called the customer service number and was on hold for 2 hours and the line disconnected. I waited 2 more weeks to try calling and a employee had told me my order was delayed??? So waited one more and I called on my lunch break and was on hold the entire time. My boss George told me to hang up and I was so frustrated with IKEA I snapped at him and now he is mad at me. I told him to shut up and calm his tits and I feel terrible. So then the VERY next day my package was dropped on my front porch at 6 AM and woke everyone in the house up. So thanks a lot IKEA, my son didn't get his present on Christmas, George is still pissed, and I got woken up at 6 am on my day off. ** IKEA???

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I returned my IKEA dresser due to a safety related recall, but after three months and numerous calls to them, have yet to receive the promised refund. After being on hold for 2 hrs, each time I am told the refund check was mailed two weeks prior to the call, but no tracking number is provided. It appears I have been lied to each time. Is there a consumer court or forum so customers can file a class action lawsuit?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I am not one to typically write reviews but this has by far been the worst experience I have ever had. If you want to shop at Ikea AVOID DELIVERY AND ASSEMBLY. I am embarrassed to say that I ordered 7 large pieces. Because of the size of the order I had no choice and had to do a delivery and ultimately decided to do the assembly also. Each piece had a delivery and assembly charge, which is understandable. On the initial delivery there was nothing correct of the 7 pieces. The tv stand did not have the framework. The whole custom wardrobe did not have the doors. The bookcases were all missing pieces and the dining room table was brown instead of black. If you call customer service be prepared to wait on hold over an hour EACH TIME to speak to customer service (I have called 5 times). Trying to rectify this whole situation has been A NIGHTMARE.

Ikea originally rescheduled a delivery for the additional pieces that were missing. The only pieces that were completed after this second delivery were the bookcases and the wardrobe. The tv stand still had no frame and there was no replacement table. Aggravated at this point I canceled the delivery of the tv stand and have yet to be refunded 2 months later. Ikea had no problem sending someone to pick up the pieces that I had but they keep giving me the run around that my refund will be "issued next week". As of today there is still no solution. This whole experience is a reflection of how poor this company truly is to customers. I just wish that I had read all the other reviews prior to this massive purchase to see that this is what Ikea does.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Would not even give one star. Absolute worst experience ever! Purchased 12/04/17 over 1500.00 worth of good at the store. Paid for delivery and assembly. We have yet to receive our stuff...it is now January 9th/2018. We have wasted time off work, wasted time travelling to the store, wasted time on the phone with incompetent customer service. Literally spend over two hours on hold once. No one cares, XPO blames IKEA, IKEA blames XPO...you travel into the store and they blame you. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, NO CARE, NO ONE SAYING SORRY. Never will I purchase anything from IKEA Brooklyn again. Everyone I meet I will tell them about my experience. Tonight my last trip will be to Brooklyn to cancel my order, get my refund back and write a letter to head office in The Netherlands with my backup, emails and conversations with every customer service person and XPO logistics with dates and times. DISGUSTED.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Purchased a desk for a little over $200 on Nov 29. The $210 was promptly removed from my account - ONE DAY and was already debited (this is important). By Dec 20 the item still not received - NOT even shipped. Contacted IKEA - waited about 45 minutes to speak to CS Rep. Told me item not received by delivery company and asked if I wanted to reorder. I said cancel my order and refund my money. Rep said NO problem and money will be put back on my card within 3 to 5 days. I called back on Dec 28 because my card still not credited. Received new confirmation number and promise that money will be refunded back to card in 3 to 5 days. They can debit your card within hours but cannot seem to refund. Here it is 1/2/18 and once again on hold with IKEA because I still do not have my money! I will never order online or even in store from the company. It's a SCAM!

Resolution response: Jan. 16, 2018

After some calls and several people at the Houston store, we were able to come in a second time and get two of the three items we planned originally. It took a while but today's people very helpfully were able to find them; had to advise us that the other one was not, even though the store catalog had 20 listed in stock. A 2/3 better experience with much nicer people this time; after some effort over a week. We are happier with the 10% discount we did get today because of the complications, But, catalog credibility?? Our first visit was lacking. We acknowledge this time was much better.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Houston, TX store. We drove an hour then. In store catalog verified the items were in stock and identified item’s locations, we searched and then requested help as they weren't all there... I was told "Yes, we have them, but WON'T GET THEM FOR YOU, YOU'LL HAVE TO COME BACK TOMORROW.", laughed at us and walked away. When I found someone else, I advised that any 'unsupportive' criticism had to be done online and the store was unable to follow up with any complaints. Of course, their 'customer service' line is 'unfortunately closed due to the inclement weather' too. Wonder how these people actually stay in business. Enough. They were deliberately rude and condescending. Not just a bad product. Sales people with nasty attitudes. If IKEA wants to hassle me about this they can call my lawyer. If you ever shop there expect to be humiliated.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I was very excited to hear that Ikea was offering a very limited-time-offer for free shipping. Unfortunately, my story echoes many of those shared here. It took several weeks (about 7 total) and multiple phone calls with waiting times of at LEAST 45 minutes, to receive my order. Half of the order was shipped after a long wait, and the 2nd half (the actual sofa of the sofa order; the first half contained the footstool and the sofa cover) came after Christmas, for an order placed on November 2, 2017. I would not recommend using Ikea online ordering to anyone. Let's face it - Ikea is great, but they are not in anyway structured to handle shipping, much less FREE shipping. Lesson learned the hard way. BTW, they offered me a $50 gift card about halfway through the horrible process. So, there is that!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Be aware when ordering Kungsbacka kitchens from IKEA that they will take the order then cancel any items they cannot meet. I'm still waiting on a 40x40 draw front which they have repeatedly accepted, then canceled and refunded, Imagine a kitchen with a big gap in it.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I ordered via online with a promised delivery of October 30th 2017 which of course was a no show. I no longer needed this item so I decided to cancel my order. WHAT A DEBACLE. Today is January 4, 2018 and I still have not been refunded. I've spent a total of 6 hours on the phone with them and spoke to multiple people with no real concrete answer to why they haven't refunded my $200. Such a waste of time that I will never get back. Can't believe this is not settled yet. Horrible Customer Service!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Save yourself time. I went to IKEA and purchased $2500 worth of furniture on 12/28 and set up delivery for 1/2 for my new apartment, 11-3. The delivery service called me the day prior and I confirmed. I called IKEA on the day of to confirm it as well, they reached out to XPO the third party delivery service, as I tried and waited 45 minutes on hold and never got to a human, and IKEA told me the courier did not pick up the product from IKEA, the driver didn't stop. I begged them to bring it to me even if its 5-9PM. I wouldn't care as I am now in an apartment with no furniture! IKEA said they'll try.

The courier told IKEA they cannot make that delivery at that time or today for that matter. So basically they skipped my pickup, skipped my stop, ignored me entirely and filled me with someone else. I called XPO multiple times that day and never got through. IKEA also only delivers on Tuesdays and Saturdays to my location, so they scheduled me for this Saturday 1/6 from 9-1, let's pray they deliver then, until then I am thankful my apartment is carpeted, as that's where I will be sleeping... I cannot recommend XPO (IKEA'S delivery service). I spent over 3 hours on the phone on 1/2, and this is RIDICULOUS!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I should've read these comments before I ordered a couch. I'm basically going through the same thing everyone else is. Ordered the couch. Got a delivery date. No call No show. I'm calling back and forth between North American Logistics and IKEA. No one knows where my couch is. I sit on the phone for over 50 mins between both companies just to hear them blame each other. So finally I wait a few days and call both companies back. Now I have a delivery on January the 4th.

For some reason I feel like either it will be a no call no show again or either all my parts will be missing. I'm trying to stay positive but after you read all the reviews and see the same thing... lol it's a little hard to stay positive and so much for the little new years eve/housewarming party I was supposed to have... nowhere to sit. I was supposed to have this couch on the 26th of December. I took off work and everything waiting all excited at the house just to feel like I got stood up for prom or something. lol WTF. IKEA FIX YOUR DELIVERY SERVICE...

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I placed an online order with IKEA on August 19, 2017, and 6 weeks later I still had no goods and no answer as to why. I spent hours of my time trying to help IKEA figure out why I couldn't place an online order with them. During the next 6 weeks, I spoke with 11 individuals from customer service (often waiting at least 30 minutes on hold each time). I exchanged emails with at least that many additional US Customer Support reps.

The process went like this: I received a confirmation and a "Thank you for your order email" and then 24 hours later I received an email saying there was a problem and that I should call the 800 number. No one was able to tell me why the order could not be placed, though, at their request, I placed it at least 10 more times "successfully" only to receive an email several hours later urging that I call the 800 number. There was no mechanism for escalation, they just threw up their collective hands and told me to keep calling the 800 number. I finally gave up on Sept. 30.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

We placed an order mid Nov 2017 for a 4 section sofa and the scheduled delivery was December 1, 2017. The day of our delivery, we received 1/2 of the order (meaning 1/2 of our sofa). The drivers were in a rush and we couldn't verify that we received all of the items before they left. Once we were able to check everything and realized that we were missing 1/2 of the sofa we contacted IKEA immediately (after being on hold for 45 min) to notify that we were missing items. They said they'd re-ship the missing items and reschedule delivery for 12/15. After waiting a week, I contacted IKEA again (again on hold for 45-50 minutes) to verify that we would be getting the rest of our order on the 15th. The representative assured me that she processed the order and we should definitely have it then... Lo and behold, our delivery wasn't scheduled for 12/15, but for 12/22.

I called again (on hold for more than an hour this time) to ask for some explanation as to why it was taking 22 days for our missing sofa and if this could be expedited since it was their mistake, the supervisor assured me that she'd see what she could do and she'd call me back within the hour. No return call! I realized this was a lost case and waited until 12/22... XPO (delivery company) confirmed the delivery for 12/22 between the hours of 12:00-4:00pm, my partner took the day off of work to receive the delivery.

At 9:47am on 12/22, I received a phone call from XPO saying that they couldn't deliver my order, as it was left off the truck AND I could get this delivery on 12/29 (another week later). At this point I refused to accept this and requested that my items be delivered the next day or I would be returning the entire order for a refund. After calling IKEA & speaking to a manager at XPO (again spending more than an hour on hold), they agreed to deliver the items on 12/23 between the hours of 12:00-4:00pm. As I type this review, we are still waiting @ 5:00pm on 12/23 for our delivery. Warning: DO NOT ORDER FROM IKEA.COM - their customer service is a disgrace and they should be ashamed to offer this service.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I ordered a sleeper sofa in the store and paid $119 to have it shipped to my house. Two times the shipper called me the day of shipping to cancel and reschedule. First time they said when they arrived at the store the sofa was not ready to be picked up for delivery. A week later they called to say that there was too much merchandise at the store loading area and they could not fit our sofa on the truck. A week later it finally came. Then I called customer service (three times) unsuccessfully to request a refund of my shipping charge. I gave up each time after waiting on hold with no response for at least a half hour. They don't even tell you how long the wait will be but that a customer service agent will be with you shortly. It's sad that a company that sells good quality merchandise at the good price has such abysmal customer service. I finally sent an email but I doubt I'll hear back. WAKE UP IKEA! YOU ARE ONLY HURTING YOURSELVES!!!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Purchased Mullen 3 drawer dresser missing the back piece. After waiting on hold for over an hour I talked to customer service and they said bring receipt to store (which happens to be 2 hours away). It would cost me more in gas than the dresser is worth. I asked if the piece could be mailed to us and was told no. Poor quality and awful customer service I will not shop Ikea ever again.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

These people are losers. Totally disrespectful to their consumers and always late. Late in delivery, late in support, late in communication, late in payments. Fire your CEO and get someone who knows how to run a company.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

We order a kitchen sink, backsplash and lots of other stuff to do a Reno. It was all supposed to arrive Nov 8. All paid for over 2 months ago! Everything came except the countertops which of course held up the whole job and all of the help we had lined up. IKEA reordered for December 8. A no show again. Turns out they didn't reorder it and it must come from California. Was supposed to be delivered to Ucluelet today. Stayed home all day and you guessed it -- no show again. So very frustrated with this company. I second the previous reviewer's comments they get a -10 and a recommendation not to ever deal with them. The cost of the delay and frustration is not worth it! FYI. Your website will not accept Canadian postal codes. Surely you could hire some better web people.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Ordered a 600.00 sofa; (11-27-17) - OK, no problem. XPO Logistics is the delivery service used by Ikea, they notify me of my delivery window (12-13-17 between 9 am - 9 pm). The day before my scheduled delivery I get an automated call from XPO stating my new window time is 12-13-17 from 4 pm - 8 pm. OK - even better. On 12-13-17, No one showed up, no one called. The following day, I call Ikea to obtain the status/problem. Ikea was informed by XPO that the sofa is lost. Really?? Lost??? Yeah, if you can't buy & pay for it at the store - don't bother. Ikea blames XPO; XPO blames Ikea. It's simply too much. Ikea is attempting to re-send me the sofa but again, we will see if & when it is delivered by XPO. I will give them another week on the reorder. After that, I am done & requesting a refund.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

If I could I would give 0 stars. This place do not deliver on their promises! Ordered $1800 worth of items online. The soonest they can deliver is 3 weeks from the order date. Today got a notification that it's not going to be there at the estimated date. Called them, after 30 min on hold they are telling me if I cancel the order the delivery fee will not be refunded. This is fraud if you asks me. They have unhappy customers pay their vendor expenses. I have never dealt with such company before. The frustration and anger I am experiencing is beyond words. This company should not be in business. I regret ever buying from them. Please do not order from them ever. Their "affordable" prices will not pay for emotional damage you will receive dealing with them.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I am in need of assistance from the highest level at this point with my order from IKEA. I have to say that disappointment and frustrations are inadequate words to describe the experience I've had thus far with ordering from IKEA; fury is more apropos. I have spent a collective of 7 hours and 40 minutes on the phone, not including email time, dealing with my order. Had it simply been a botched delivery date, or just a missing piece, or just an over charge to my account, or just a missing credit for an item... individually each of those is understandable and forgivable. However, my horrendous experience includes all of the above! I have listed below the chronology of events regarding my order. An order which is still incomplete over a month after placing it.

10/28/17 Visited the local IKEA store in Phoenix, AZ with my mother, after telling her of the wonderful things I've purchased in the past from IKEA. Shopping for furniture for a new family vacation home to welcome family for the Christmas holiday. Very helpful sales representatives answered questions and suggested we order on 10/30/17 since there will be a free shipping promotion. How thoughtful! Very excited about our items and was looking forward to showing my mother how great IKEA is and that one needn't shop only at Macy's and boutiques for furniture!

10/30/17 Ordered online around 9am MST. Reviewed order receipt for $1291.98 and found that the incorrect slats (Luroy) defaulted, even after selecting Lonset. Called IKEA and spoke to a representative to correct the error. Lonset slats ordered, with an immediate bill for $80 sent. While still on phone with representative, paid the $80 bill through the link she emailed. Was told she would merge orders, I would be issued a credit for the Luroy slats, and that delivery was scheduled for 11/05/17.

New order number included the correct slats. I informed her that we do not live at the delivery address, but rather live out of state, and could not be on premises to receive order until 11/08/17 in the evening. She told me she would schedule delivery for 11/09/17. She asked if we could be there on 11/09/17 to receive delivery. I said yes and thanked her for rescheduling the delivery. (I am not counting this call in my hours spent, as it was a simple error, seemingly rectified.)

11/07/17 Received email that the order had shipped on that day at 17:46 with a scheduled delivery date of 11/09/17 between 09:00 and 21:00. 11/08/17 (Took day off from work to drive to California to receive furniture on 11/09/17) At 14:34, while en route from Arizona to California to receive furniture, I received a call from the delivery company stating that the order had been delayed and it would be between a few days to two weeks for delivery. I informed delivery company that we do not live in state and were making a special trip to receive the delivery. He suggested I contact IKEA immediately.

At 14:37, I called IKEA immediately after hanging up with delivery company. I was informed that the delivery was on a delayed trailer and it would be a day or two delayed but that the delivery company would get it out immediately after they received the shipment. I was told the delivery company was local and they could get it anywhere from that evening to the next day or two. I explained that we do not live in the state to where the delivery was being shipped. Kind and helpful associate on 30 minute phone call. At 15:07, I called the delivery company back to report that IKEA said they would be getting it in the next couple days and could I please be placed as a priority delivery once they get the shipment. Delivery associate was very helpful and said he would email dispatch to ensure it was sent out as soon as it got to their dock. Received email that items were not delivered.

11/09/17 I waited patiently to hear from IKEA or delivery company regarding my order. No word. 11/10/17 At 14:58 I called IKEA inquiring about status of delivery, again reminding that I do not live in state where order is to be delivered and that I am waiting for word. I was scheduled to be back at work on 11/13. Was told that deliveries happen 7 days/week. I was also informed that the initial representative should not have given me a delivery date because they do not know what day items will be delivered. I was told that what she should have said was any day after 11/09/17, typically in a two week time frame. I asked how customers were supposed to make arrangements when there was no definitive delivery date. I was given an apology and no answer. 53 minute phone call.

11/11/17 Received an email that the order was received at the local delivery company. Called delivery company at 16:25 to inquire about delivery time and date. Was told they did not know and would contact me when ready. Again reiterated that time was sensitive and that I needed more information. Was told there is no priority list and unless I paid IKEA for a scheduled delivery date, there was no such thing as a priority list or specific date of delivery. 5 minute phone call. Called IKEA to ask if there was a charge for specific delivery dates. Was told this did not exist and delivery company was in error for stating this. 8 minute phone call. Received an email that the order was ready to be delivered.

11/12/17 Called delivery company at 8:04 to again check on status. They had no information. 6 minute phone call. Received a call from delivery company that they could deliver between 11/15 and 11/21. Informed them I could not wait and that I was supposed to be listed as a priority delivery. Very kind girl said she could try to get delivery on 11/13 around 16:00. I had a 7 hour drive back to my home in Arizona and could not wait until evening for delivery. Was transferred to a supervisor who contacted the distribution dock and arranged to try for delivery 11/13 as early in the day as possible.10 minute phone call.

Called IKEA at 19:29 to verify they had the same delivery information as I was given and to inquire about if they could not make the delivery in time, what would be the next step. I asked about holding the delivery if it would not come in time. I was told that was not a possibility. I was told I'd have to decline the delivery and begin the process of returning the order. I asked if that should be the case, would I be given a free shipping or credit on the re-order of the items for a later delivery date in December. I was told no, that if I returned this order, I would have not have free shipping available to me. 22 minute phone call. Arranged a substitute teacher so that I could take 11/13/17 off of work.

11/13/17 Received a call from the delivery company at 8:01 that the delivery would be set for today. Was told the delivery driver would be calling as soon as he was en route to my home. Difficulty establishing a time. A supervisor made some arrangements and now delivery was anticipated around 11:00-12:00. 35 minute phone call. Call from delivery driver at 11:08 stating he would arrive in about an hour with the order. Order arrived at 12:10. Very nice and efficient delivery workers. Email confirming delivery at 12:21 this day from IKEA.

Called IKEA at 12:33 because a piece was missing from the delivery. The Lonset slats were missing! Was on hold with no answer for 22 minutes, and had to hang up so I could get on the road back to Arizona. To be clear, the Luroy slats were not sent either - so currently there are no slats for the mattress. Called IKEA at 14:06 to try and find out about Lonset slat order. Was on hold with no answer for 15 minutes when I entered a mountainous region on my drive and had to hang up.

11/14/17 Called IKEA at 18:16 to inquire about Lonset slat order. Spoke to a lovely and apologetic associate named Sharon. She looked into the orders, said that they were incorrectly placed, never merged, and that it appeared one order was cancelled. She reinstated the order, scheduled it and said it would arrive to my home in Arizona by 11/25/17. This was an 82 minute phone call due to excessive wait times and Sharon's research into the matter.

11/21/17 Upon opening my credit card statement, I was surprised to see the billings from IKEA. I called IKEA at 19:37 because my emailed order receipts stated $1291.98 and $80 on 10/30/17, yet my credit card statement showed $1465.98 and $86.20. I initially spoke with Breonna **, who was lovely, and she explained that taxes were added on. I asked how a company could issue a receipt, but not show the taxes collected, yet bill my credit card the same day for the amount including taxes! This is highly unusual. I've never experienced this and it is unsettling to be billed one amount, and see another on your statement. She emailed me a screen shot detailing taxes and charges. I asked about the refund for the Luroy slats. It was not on there. I asked about the delivery of the Lonset slats, and she said the order was cancelled.

I asked for a supervisor and she transferred me to Kristine **. I explained the ENTIRE situation to Kristine, including delivery issues, the numerous phone calls and now being charged for incorrect slats and item which was not yet delivered and the lack of the credit for the slats I did not want. Kristine was sincere and worked hard to try and rectify the situation. She said she was emailing other people on her floor (even put me on hold to go talk to them but could not get it resolved at that moment), and would issue me a $30 gift card for the excessive phone time between the call on 11/14 and 11/21.

She clarified that her actions were: issue refund for the Luroy slats, issue refund for the taxes assessed for the Luroy slats, correct the order for the Lonset slats, issue a $30 gift card, ensure that the slats were being delivered to my home in Arizona (and I would just pack them on top of my car and drive them out to California in December), email me a copy of the transactions. She emailed Sofy ** and Jeffrey ** to assist in this matter. I was told that the delivery for the Lonset slats would be 12/01/17. This was a 169 minute phone call! I was frustrated, but felt that I had received the email copy of her efforts and that matters would be resolved.

12/02 I emailed Kristine ** because the slats had not arrived, nor had the $30 gift card. I received no response. 12/06 I emailed Kristine ** again because the slats had not arrived, nor had the $30 gift card. I received no response. 12/09 I am emailing you, as division heads and CEO because this is intolerable! This is inexcusable. This is nothing short of disgusting.

I have spent almost 8 hours on phone calls alone dealing with my order/orders (I have the phone log and email log). The anxiety and frustration over what was supposed to be a joyous purchase to furnish a new home where family could gather for the holidays has put such a damper on the excitement. Now, rather than welcoming guests and decorating on 12/22/17 for the holidays, I will be assembling furniture - furniture that I had planned on assembling (according to the delivery date I was given both verbally and in writing) on 11/09-11/11 to be ready for guest arrival the following month. Our guests are now either delaying arrival or spending the evening in a hotel because my house is a series of boxes to be assembled!

I am a middle school science teacher in Arizona. To take days off of work requires me to arrange for a substitute teacher, prepare lesson plans for that substitute teacher, expend a personal vacation day, and come back to a pile of work that I could not attend to because I was off campus. Though I love my job, it is common knowledge that teachers - especially in Arizona - do not earn very much, and my $1371.98 purchase (before taxes!) is not a big deal to IKEA, but it is a massive expenditure to me. Though the amount of my purchase should not matter, IKEA should care for customers who spend $1 or $10,000! I have not been cared for. I cannot tell you the stress this order has caused: waiting for a delivery, begging for help in getting the delivery, calling continually for updates on the delivery, taking an extra day off for the delivery, being overcharged for the order, not receiving the complete order - this is too much!

While I appreciate the gesture of the $30 gift card (which has not been received), that comes out to roughly $0.06 for each minute I spent on the phone trying (not counting email) to get an order that I was billed for immediately. That is insulting! Even for a poor teacher! There is no delay in billing, but there sure is a delay in product and service! At this point, I am paying with each passing minute to get an order straight that I paid for the minute I ordered. What is your time worth? Mine sure is more than $3.90/hour and the frustration that accompanies all of this. And still, no bed slats! Slats that were supposed to be delivered to the home in California, which I will now be strapping to the roof of my car to drive them from Arizona when I depart for the Christmas holiday break! That is most unfair! And who knows, at this point, if they will ever arrive!

I ask for your assistance in this matter, I ask for you to find a way to make this right, I ask for you to understand how truly unpleasant and horrid this experience in its entirety has been and to take appropriate action. Alone, each of these events would have been annoying and inconvenient - but together, this is unacceptable. And, on a personal note, I feel like a fool in front of my mother! I convinced her that I would take care of furnishings and to give IKEA a try! No one wants to look like a fool to their mother - yet here I am, a fool regretting IKEA. I can be reached by phone or by email at this email account. Should you require my phone logs or a copy of the credit card statement reflecting the billing, or the emails showing delivery dates and changes, I am happy to oblige. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I was told my order was cancelled as well as delivery charge almost a week ago. To date there is no credit on my account. There is no history of orders under my account. While they have decent prices, everything needs to be put together and buying online is a nightmare. To talk to a customer service rep takes about an hour. If I don't see a refund, I intend to put in a dispute as I have a case no. Don't buy online! Ikea seems to be a ripoff when years ago they were a very reputable company. Very disappointed. I will not let them rip us off. Ikea will soon become the company to avoid.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I recently purchased two of the Ektorp sofas, the Ektorp armchair and several pillows and covers. We had to order online as we are too far outside of the Memphis, TN store delivery area. On 11/30 we were given a “tentative” delivery date of 12/7, and were advised that the delivery company (a third party) would be in touch to confirm date and time. We received an email advising that the items had been picked up from the distribution center on 11/30. On 12/6 I received a text AND an automated phone call confirming delivery for the following day and given a 4-hour delivery window.

Approximately 5 minutes before arriving the delivery driver called to confirm we were home. The driver and his partner delivered all 22 items quickly and were very courteous and friendly. I tipped them and thanked them. I am writing the review to say that the process went exactly as IKEA told me it would and exactly how I expected it would. I read some previous reviews that were exactly the opposite of my experience and I wanted to post this so anyone a bit leery of home delivery would rethink it. VERY SATISFIED!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I ordered closet organizers from IKEA online for my condo in Fort Lauderdale. The day the order was supposed to arrive, I got a call saying the order arrived late at the delivery company and it would have to be delivered the next day. So I waited another day. The second day, when the organizers were supposed to arrive, I got a call 15 minutes before the delivery window saying they lost the order completely and did not know where it was. I called IKEA customer service to cancel the order and after waiting 30 minutes on hold, I finally reached a human who said my money would be refunded back to my credit card within 7-10 days. It's been 2 weeks and still no refund. The worst customer service of any company I've ever seen. I'll NEVER SHOP AT IKEA AGAIN!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Hands down the worst customer service experience I have ever come across. I have spent 5 hours on the phone with Ikea representatives since I have placed my order. I waited in my building lobby for 5 hours waiting for my delivery to come through until I received an email saying my order was delivered. I called Ikea to see what had happened and they said that the delivery company attempted to deliver however no one was there. As compensation, the representative on the phone said that they will be refunding the full shipping amount to my card. I had emailed Ikea to get written confirmation on this however I received an email saying that they had sent out a $50 gift card however this was not what we had agreed.

On the second attempt of delivery, the delivery company once again apparently attempted to deliver the items however claim that no one was home. They also claimed that they had call my cell phone however I had no calls. I called Ikea once again and they had requested I pay for re-delivery fees as well as fees to re-book the assembly. At this point I asked them to cancel my full order as this has been utter inconvenience. The representative assured me that he would schedule a re-delivery and re-book the delivery free of charge.

On the third attempt of the delivery I received a broken mirror and the incorrect item. Speaking to a customer service representative she said to me that the delivery company would need to pick up the incorrect items, then re-deliver the mirror again and finally re-deliver the missing item. That would require me to be home for the delivery 3 times. The amount of inconvenience I received from my first delivery is enough quite frankly and I am not willing to go through the same thing three more times. I requested to speak to a manager where he said he is unable to provide me anymore compensation except a $50 refund on my card for the remaining delivery charge.

Firstly, the gift card was sent out as a gesture of goodwill from Ikea and was not even communicated to me until it had been sent out already. A gift card does not count as a refund but more so a store credit. The customer service representatives do not seem to know the difference when speaking on the phone using the two interchangeably. Secondly, I had been promised a full refund to my card on the delivery fee however this was not actioned and refuse to provide the refund. Never again will I be buying anything from Ikea. Absolute waste of time and money.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Ikeas is correctly known for having inexpensive furniture of attractive design. I recently moved into a new home and went to IKEA to buy furniture for the entire house. I had been told by friends that, for sure, some part of the shipment would be wrong. And it was. They sent 72" doors for a 90 inch cabinet. I tried to call customer service for an entire week before I could get anything but a busy signal. I then sent a message online. The website said that I'd get a response within 48 hours. I did not. So I had to drive to the store (a half hour and a $6.00 bridge toll). After waiting in line, a surly and unpleasant person was assigned to help me. I asked an employee nearby to get a manager for me. That employee, Mitchell, was extremely helpful and sympathetic. But why should it require this much time and effort to deal with an issue created by Ikea.

I made additional purchases that day and, when I got home, realized that there had been another screwup. Not all the times I had identified to the Ikea clerk as ones that I wanted to buy (and have Ikea collect and deliver) were included on the invoice. I again spent hours and hours getting a busy signal and, when the customer "service" line finally answered, I had to wait an hour and 7 minutes with a recording telling me how important my call was in order to speak to a customer service agent. She was great -- very helpful. My take-away is that the people in that department are used to dealing with enraged customers and are good at making them feel briefly less angry. The whole experience has been awful. While many of the items appear to be excellent, others have to be returned because they don't work, and I dread that process.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

DO NOT ORDER IKEA ONLINE: Let me rant for a moment; I ordered a bed online at IKEA on November 20th... it is now December 2nd. The delivery was originally the 28th, and was pushed back to December 2nd. I was told 24 hours before delivery I would receive a phone call to give me a 4 hour window for delivery. On Friday December 1st I did not get a call for a delivery time. Fast forward to December 2nd the only information I have from IKEA is that they will deliver between 9 am and 9 pm and my order number.

I spend 2 HOURS on hold and hung up on because no one was able to get to the phone. The email address online has a 3-5 day wait limit for a response. They do not have a local phone number to contact them about packages. I work overnights and was forced to wake up every so often to make sure I didnt miss a call or the delivery drivers. It is now 7 PM waiting for this delivery and I have to work tonight.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I ordered a couch at the Elizabeth, NJ store. Delivery was supposed to come on that Sunday. Never came. Called and said it would come on Tuesday, came and the guys who put it together cracked it. Had to call IKEA and spent an hour on the phone. They said it would come on Wednesday. Wednesday no replacement piece. Called and said they messed up and showed the order on hold. They said they would take care of it and the replacement would be delivered on Thursday. I'm on the phone at this moment waiting for a supervisor. The agent said it's still on hold. Meanwhile I paid for the couch in full plus delivery and assembly. I have spent so much time waiting at home for delivery and so much time on the phone with customer service. They are horrible, I will never order from this company again! Their customer service STINKS!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Sofa supposed to be delivered last week, nothing, tried to call delivery company they don't answer. Try Ikea wait on the line for 40 mins to talk to an customer service rep, wait another 20 minutes until she comes back on the line to tell me she can't get ahold of the company. She takes my phone number, of course she has not called back. This company is the worst for customer service. The prices might be good, but stay away.

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

IKEA has gained a cult following thanks to its affordable pricing and multifunctional pieces. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use IKEA furniture in your home.

• IKEA Family program: The IKEA Family program is free to sign up and gives you exclusive access to promotions and special sales. Some of the benefits include free tea or coffee at the store restaurant and 90 day price protection.

• Worldwide locations: IKEA stores can be found across the globe in 41 different countries operating more than 330 stores including franchises, with more locations being added all the time.

• Multiple delivery options: IKEA flat-packs its boxes for easier transport, but if you don't have room to take your new furniture with you, delivery by truck is available for a flat fee. You can combine several items into a single shipment for the same price.

• Business furniture: While commonly thought of as a residential furniture store, IKEA also has a variety of items for businesses at affordable price points.

• In-store restaurant: In many IKEA stores they provide an IKEA Restaurant that features Swedish-style cuisine so you can take a lunch break or grab a quick snack to improve your shopping experience.

• Best for: Cost-savvy shoppers, families, DIYers and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.ikea.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use