1.08/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1422 IKEA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 8, 2019

I wrote a lengthy letter to the GM of the South Philadelphia IKEA branch. To this day nearly a year later, I’ve not heard from him nor anyone else at IKEA regarding my unsatisfactory shopping experience. I’ve reached out repeatedly to him, resending my letter, calling customer service, etc etc. DO NOT BUY from IKEA. If anything goes wrong in any capacity with something purchased, good luck. They are a complete joke with any type of responsiveness.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I ordered a bed online on the 21 Feb 2019 to be delivered on 28 Feb 2019, which all paperwork confirmed that it would be delivered on the 28th Feb 2019. On 28 Feb I received a Tracking code for a transport company Toll advising the delivery was due on the 4th March. When I rang Customer Service a very rude person named Tim told me that I was wrong and that I would not have any paperwork that said it would be delivered on the 28th Feb 2019 that all their paperwork said estimated delivery date. I had the paperwork printed and in my hand and it clearly said Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2019. When he continued to be rude, I asked to speak to his Supervisor he refused to transfer the call and told me I had no choice I had to wait.

When I called back to speak to another person in Customer Service I was told that they could not hand out the number of the Supervisor and they could not transfer me and they could not provide me with the number of the head office so I could appraise them of the poor service I was being dealt. I have been an Ikea customer for many years and have spent a lot of money with them. They have now lost my business entirely.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I ordered an ASKVOLL two-drawer chest on January 15. The receipt noted that the items would be received by January 21. Two weeks after the supposed delivery date, I called to follow up on the order as I had not received any follow-up communication from IKEA. I was passed from one person to another before they told me that it was a shipping glitch and I would receive the order soon. Two weeks later I had still not received the order and again, there was NO follow up communication, so I called again. Once again, I was passed from one person to another before they explained that the items were on back order and would be shipped as soon as they were back in the warehouse.

Today is February 27. Again, I have received my order and there has been no follow up communication. So, I called once again. I again was shuffled from one person to another before I was told that the items had been shipped on January 18 and FedEx had not followed through with delivery. The customer service/resolution department stated they would re-order the items and I would have them in 5 - 7 business days. I am confident this is not a FEDEX issue. I have never had a problem like this with any other company, nor with FEDEX. IKEA has a serious and significant customer service problem that needs to be addressed. If these items were not matching items, accompanying something we had already purchased, I would have canceled this order long ago. Needless to say, I will NEVER order from IKEA again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Two separate orders in two days and each one has something missing from it, one being our baby crib. You then call IKEA & they state their call volume is high, then you're disconnected. You try to do an online complaint & they have all kinds of info you have to fill out with half of it not even being available on any type of paperwork you've received. I learned to press a different number than what you're wanting & you’ll finally get connected to someone who can help. Now I’m stuck waiting 7-14 business days hoping my crib will be delivered. I took a day off for this delivery losing money & they could care less... I’ll never buy anything from IKEA again...

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

A sales representative sold us the wrong bed base for our bed and now IKEA states we have to pay a return fee/pick up fee for them to collect the incorrect base and a delivery fee for the correct item to be delivered. I have to pay double for one of their mistakes!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I placed a $3K in-store (Pittsburgh, PA) order 2/7/19 and, because they were heavy items, requested delivery. I first explicitly asked the Ikea rep if the delivery service would deliver the items to the bedroom (2nd floor) where they would be assembled. She indicated that the delivery service would do so. The company called with a delivery window and again about 30 min. from my house - which was great - but the 2 men would not take the boxes to the bedroom. One of the men said "Lady, we ain't taking these up no steps. We're putting them in the first dry room nearest the door."

So, now I have to pay someone to carry the boxes upstairs so that they can be assembled, as they are too heavy for me to carry. My attempt to contact IKEA was unsuccessful - only got a message that there were too many customer service calls and to try again. I'm going to try to contact them later tonight to get return of some of delivery fee. Bottom line...if you don't have to use delivery service for IKEA... Don't!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I was given a gift card as a birthday present. I had just moved countries to Italy and the card was mislaid in the clearing up. IKEA very kindly replaced the card BUT after having to wait ONE YEAR to make sure nobody had used it (air enough). Milan IKEA legal department replaced this card towards the end of last year (2018) and I have been trying since then to activate the card. I am being sent from one email address to another, seven so far, even as far as the United States of America and NOBODY, BUT NOBODY is helping me. Does anybody have any suggestions. I want to purchase goods but not unless I can use this card.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Place an order in-store on February 14 and insisted it was for delivery and assembly. On February 16, 2 people show at the scheduled time and announce they will assemble only one of 6 pieces of furniture. They also stated they were not certified IKEA assemblers. I had to drive back to the store (Live Oak) because there was no answer on the phone number provided and there was a message to visit the website, then wait 48-72 hours for a reply.

In the store, 2 employees fix the order, charge a new amount for assembly because there was an error in how the employees on Feb 14 entered it. An assembly appointment was scheduled for today February 17 between 8 and 12. By 1 p.m. I made phone calls to North American Logistics (subcontracted by IKEA to deliver and assemble). A dispatcher stated she would call when she got a hold of the driver. Eventually I received a text message from one of the people who delivered boxes the day before, stating there were many problems with the trucks and it would be some three hours to arrive. It is 4:30 p.m. and still no one has shown up.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have been trying to place an order for two days now and finally decided to call IKEA because I can’t complete the order online. My online problem is that once I complete the order and calculate the shipping I have the option to “begin checkout” which I do select. I then see the screen with my billing address and IKEA FAMILY card number and I do click the checkboxes to confirm the privacy policy and receiving emails. Then I click the “save and continue to delivery box” which takes me back to the previous screen without the shipping calculation and an error message that reads “an unknown error has occurred. Please try again later or contact customer service.” So after trying all day yesterday and again today I decided to call customer service; however, I get a message that says “due to high call volume they can’t take my call!”

How am I supposed to order anything if I can’t do it online and I can’t speak to a customer service representative? I can’t even leave a message that gets the order placed because they might respond to this email within 48-72 hours and the sale ends 2/18/2019. I might be able to complete the transaction if I opted to go to the closest location and pick the order up myself; however, that’s a 220-mile roundtrip taking a minimum of 4 hours and at least $18 worth of gas plus wear and tear on my vehicle. Sad that I can’t complete the order online AND get it delivered!! And I sent them two email messages because their system did not send me an acknowledgment of my first message and maybe it isn’t set up to do so. This is NOT customer service!!! This is a disservice to EVERYONE who would like to shop with IKEA but can't.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

It has taken over a month, almost 2 hours in phone called, multiple deliveries, refusal to discount the product despite all the terrible inconvenience, changes of delivery dates, and I am still not sure if I have all the parts I ordered. Worst delivery experience I have ever had. If what you want is more expensive elsewhere, pay it. IKEA cheaper prices aren’t worth all the hassle of getting the product to you. Customer service is always friendly and they want to help but they weren’t able to get it fixed with the delivery company. The manager was the least helpful and refused to discount the product, stating “I can’t lower the price” even though it was full price (not on sale).

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I purchased a couch at IKEA and it was never delivered. Both the IKEA company and its delivery partner denied having the item. They blamed each other for the problem. I will never purchase another IKEA product after waiting for delivery on 4 separate occasions and never receiving the couch. The delivery company didn’t even bother to call me to tell me that they wouldn’t be coming. It was a huge waste of time. IKEA says that they will give me a refund as soon as the delivery team returns the couch. The delivery company says that they don’t have the couch because when they went to pick it up, IKEA didn’t have it. Don’t waste your time!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I would like to highlight two major concerns: 1) Poor Food Hygiene (BFH & PIC Level down) 2) Rude/Neglective Customer Service Reps. To address point 1:

I visited IKEA store in Festival City for the first time. May I highlight, the background I come from is that of a hotel/restaurant industry, BFH (Basic Food Hygiene) is a core. It was absolutely appalling to see how the food is adulterated and violated under the Dubai Municipality standards. I was planning on having the mixed vegetables and chips.

I saw one lady from the ** perhaps, taking on order for a lady ahead of me, who asked for veg balls and mix vegetables, the lady poured meat balls and vegetables. The customer then decided to change the order so, this chef who was serving puts the meat back in the sheffing dish and the vegetables that were touched by meat in the vegetable sheffing dish. It was a horrific experience.

I am a vegan, vegatarian by choice and allergic to dairy. I can't find the food that fits me I go with chips and I have no qualms about that. I had asked the Filipino lady chef for a plate of chips. She served chicken bits with chips on it. Then I corrected her saying just chips please, she only took off the chicken, I had to tell her how could you mix veg and non veg? She made a face and gave me just the chips in a new plate. I had my concerns with the food adulteration and had to give it away. My concern here is, how come such a big brand not have their staffs equipped with BFH, it is the foundation of running a food industry.

To address point 2: The people over the counter on the ground floor are rude too. They sound like tape-recorders or machines, have no sense of human touch whatsoever. Either they have no help and are working extra hours (unpaid), or dissatisfied with their employer. I don't suppose after this I will ever visit the counter/store ever again. IKEA may have good products and perhaps the business is doing well too, but if the people who represent them are not trained well or not happy it only speaks ill of IKEA as a firm. Thank you for reading.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

You get a different answer as to why you don't have your items or where they are or when they might possibly get there every time you call. I had the order split into two, different case numbers assigned to different situations, disagreements over who had the item or what item was even ordered or which items had or hadn't been delivered. They don't seem to have access to an itemized receipt or itemized proof of delivery and the different departments don't coordinate with each other. They don't have their own shipping company so they hire it out to, it seems, whoever is cheapest. Those companies will say you get to pick a delivery window, then assign you a different window, then show up early, late or not at all. It truly is not worth your time or money to order from them. You will spend hours on the phone and the onus is entirely on you to figure out what the hell happened. Either pick it up in person or don't get it at all.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I'm always shocked at the terrible level of quality and durability of Ikea products. Every single one of their fabric products I've ever purchased, carpets, rugs, towels, sheets basically anything made of any synthetic material is chock-full of chemicals. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars at Ikea, their return policy is horrendous. They seem almost intentionally drastically understaffed, there's always a huge wait, they even have a number system if that tells you anything about how long the wait is. I've only tried to return a single item in my entire consumer live at Ikea, a $299 carpet that had a tiny hardened spot probably one centimeter big that they claimed was a paint stain, the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, it was the exact same color as the carpet fabric was probably there from the time that I purchased it. They're like any other horrible big corporation that finds any excuse and take your money but not give it back.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I ordered few large rugs online and they came in a large plastic compartment. The driver came 4 hr earlier than time slot specified by them so they left the box at my house. The box says to contact IKEA for pick-up and so I did. The response came as below: "As it turns out, we would be unable to arrange for this package to be picked up. We would recommend searching your Yellow Pages for removal services. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you." Now, I'm left with unwanted 2x8 ft compartment sitting in my garage. They have primitive logistics and are surprisingly irresponsible.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I had ordered items from Ikea online and it's been 10 days my order got placed. It just take 1 and half hour drive to the store and I don't know why it is taking forever to deliver my order. They have charged 99$ for shipping and this is the service they are providing. I had contacted the Ikea support around 5 times and all they were saying was the shipment has left their distribution center. This is the answer that I had received for consecutive three days. I am not getting proper update on my shipment. This is not at all worthy, 99$ is not a small amount. I would have gone with Amazon which was my all time favorite. They promise to deliver items quickly with low charge. I am hating myself for choosing Ikea this time.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Purchased 4 chairs from IKEA online, that came to $205. They charged me 3 times from my account and ended up taking $615, which was all the money I had for two weeks. Mistakes happen I understand that. So I called IKEA and they said it will all be refunded into my account. $205 was returned to me and that was all. I’ve been calling up IKEA and they say “the rest will be in tomorrow or the next day”. So I waited and one week's past and still haven’t seen the money. Called them up again and they said “we don’t know when it will be back in your account” and “there’s not much I can do.” So now I’ve got no money in my account to pay for anything and unsure of when to expect anything in my account. Great work IKEA.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I love Ikea, but I have spent the last 4 weeks trying to receive a delivery. The number of ways they have screwed this up would be comical if it hadn't involved about 20 hrs of my time and literally dozens of phone calls. Short story is online order sat in purgatory, never placed. When I contact them to try to understand what was going on, they agreed nothing had happened with the order but that now it was too late to cancel the order (because I would just drive to the store and get what I wanted...) So I received confirmation of the delivery window and proceeded to wait at my home for a full 12 hours. No delivery. No Call. Spent 54 minutes on telephone hold without getting a human. The next day I called and the robot said my order had been canceled.

So I tried again. I placed the order on the phone and scheduled a delivery date 7 days later. I received several automated phone calls that didn't leave a message and recognized the number as the shipper. I called the shipper and they confirmed that they had me on the schedule for the proper day, but that they had not received the merchandise (this is the day before the confirmed delivery date) and so they didn't believe there would be a shipment. They recommended I contact Ikea. I did so and the Ikea rep said that the merch had not left Ikea warehouse and that once it did, it would be 24-72 hours before it would ship from the delivery service to me. She said there was no chance I would get it on the delivery day. Today is that day, I received and email at 6am saying that the items had shipped from Ikea and would be delivered today.

I called Ikea at 9am to ask whether I would receive the delivery today and they said, repeatedly, that there was zero chance it would be delivered today. Cut to later when I receive an automated phone call from the delivery service saying that they would be at my house in 5-30 minutes. I was 25 minutes from home so I raced to car and speed home with Ikea on the line. The Ikea person got in touch with the delivery service while I was on hold and confirmed that the truck was on its way to me. He would not get in touch with them to tell them that I was racing home. I got home and waited a bit, no truck, and am now 30 minutes into a call with Ikea.

In this call I have been told "for certain" two totally contradictory things (that the shipper has my merchandise, and that they do not) and accused of lying. She is now agreeing that part of what she told me is wrong, but is still not clear if my merchandise is on a truck to me or not. I honestly can't express my dissatisfaction enough about the last month of Ikea drama. This is not acceptable on any level and I feel so frustrated at the inability of any Ikea employee to take responsibility for and control of the situation to resolve it.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I got some of my pieces I bought delivered today. Two guys came for delivery. One box fell down the way they stacked up. One guy was only interested in getting an assembly business from me in spite of me telling him 5 times that I don't need anyone. He kept insisting how hard it is, how time taking it will be, how much patience I will need, yadda yadda.

Then I saw I ordered many things and box looked few. I told him I need to check what all are delivered as I was expecting all my purchase to be delivered. He got impatient. He said he does not have time to wait. I told I have to check label of what is delivered as the boxes look few compared to my purchase. He said he has no time for me to check and without even taking my delivery signature thrust another paper on my hand and to the delivery paper. After he left I saw that paper said that 2 items were not delivered as they were unavailable. I was not informed about this by company or delivery guys though it was clearly written in the paper the guy thrust in my hand before leaving.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

The delivery company did not show up. Calling them on the phone led to long waits only to then receive a recording that they are "closed" and get disconnected. Called IKEA - they have a direct line to the delivery company but are unable to get a straight answer about where my order is. Instead IKEA keeps suggesting a "wait and see" approach. No regard for the value of their customers' time.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I'm an Ikea member and have recently bought a Ribba picture frame. The quality of the frame is very poor, comes with no mounting hardware and there's little to no surface area to effectively mount the frame safely. When trying to submit a review on Ikea's website, the review page intentionally fails login credentials. If I simply head to the main login I have no login issues. Ikea is intentionally stopping users from submitting a review. The review page also preferences 5 star ratings even when you select most recent and 1-2 star ratings. Very poor service Ikea!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

It took me 4 days and 5 phone calls to effect my order online. Ikea staff also tried but couldn't get through the payment system. The goods were not delivered on the day I was told in 3 emails after I'd waited for 4 hours, and I received no phone call about non delivery. On arrival the sofa bed was damaged but the plastic and cardboard wrappings were intact so it's obviously a production fault. I took a photo and sent it immediately but after a noreply email acknowledging it, I got no response.

I got another mail saying they were looking into it, but no further contact. I contacted Customer service and after a long discussion with the technical department my wish for a replacement was denied on the grounds that it could have been me who inflicted the damage. This is totally preposterous as I only used scissors to cut the sellotape and then removed the wrappings. Putting the blame on me is a disgraceful and underhand way of getting out of replacing damaged goods. I have dealt with IKEA before but from a shop and in Denmark. 2 acquaintances here on Madeira have also had bad experiences with IKEA specifically with receiving damaged goods. I will certainly never deal with IKEA again, it has been a dreadful time all through the process.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Wow! What a scam. You buy a gift card for your daughter on your credit card that is never received. Then you try to cancel the gift card because it was not received and you are told that it may take 7-10 days to issue a credit. Then they "mistakenly" overlook issuing the credit, (really?) all the while never allowing you to get through on the phone lines. They never return your messages, ever. They intentionally block your access to any human contact. They send auto email messages to "some" of your emails and ignore your request for contact.

After a month and a half of pestering, calling, leaving messages and emailing, I am told the process has to start over and it may be 7-10 days to issue a credit. What a scam that is obviously set up to hold millions of dollars of other peoples money while they do what with it? Hmmm... Can you say SEC investigation? Never, ever again. IKEA, CARDSTAR or whoever set this scam up should go to jail. It appears that they must have had a great Christmas, my daughter certainly did not! We are both out of our money, still.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Recently I purchased a parasol from Ikea on the 11th of December 2018. My problem was that it did not appear to arrive at the pickup point at Toll Global Express Services in Bunbury, Western Australia. Ikea could not explain this and a very helpful staff member at Bunbury Toll found that it had been collected by another person of the same name as myself who has an Ikea account. Apparently Ikea gave his telephone number on the Consignment Note instead of mine. On ringing the other person it was found that he was overseas and wouldn't return until after the New Year.

After many complaints Ikea finally sent another parasol that Toll delivered to my door on the 8th January 2019 at their expense. To me this was done out of goodwill because they could see what trauma their actions had caused me. I am almost 80 years old and in very poor health and this simple mistake seriously affected my health. Finally, Ikea refunded the $20 service fee on the 12th January 2019 and apologized without offering more compensation. Interestingly the Adjustment Note for the $20 has my address as **. I wasn't aware that I had moved to Toll Global Express Services at that address.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We ordered $900 worth of shelving to be delivered. My husband took a day off for the delivery and 7 boxes were missing. He stayed home a second day for delivery and 1 box was still missing. After 2 hours on hold, the Ikea manager said he arranged for the last box to be delivered after 6 on a Monday because my husband refused to take a third day off work. On Monday the company called around 3 and said they were ready for drop off. When my husband explained that delivery was to take place after 6, the company said they had other deliveries and would talk to the supervisor. They never called back and never delivered. We still have not received our complete order 3 months later. When we call customer service we talk to the first person who transfers us to the "high call volume" message which hangs up.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I ordered 3 Kallax bookshelves from Ikea.com US. I've never ordered from them online and wanted to try it because I don't have a big enough truck to haul the boxes. I took a screenshot of my online order number in case the email confirmation got lost in my spam. Total shipping was $39. After my purchase I never received a confirmation email of my order. This worried me a bit. I checked back online in the customer service section and was able to look up by my order number in the tracking section. (Thank goodness I had the screenshot for my order number.) It was there which eased my worry a little bit. Still was unsure. Email did finally arrive in my inbox, but was only an notification that it has shipped. No layout of what I purchased, just that it has shipped.

Next day I received another email that it is ready to be delivered. From the asterisk in the email it said, "*12 hour time window: You will receive a phone call the day before the scheduled delivery date with a 4 hour time window." My time in the email was a 12 hour so I assumed I'd get a phone call the day before. That phone call never happened. The day of delivery, I took off work to make sure I was available for the 12 hours. When I looked online, their delivery policy seems very strict about having someone there to sign for the delivery. I didn't want to miss it.

Since I didn't get the phone call, I started looking at IKEA reviews. Oh man did I find so many bad ones. Now I'm getting paranoid about my shipment not arriving, or it comes damaged, or I have to call customer service and deal with that headache. My mind was racing. I thought about calling IKEA just in case to try and get the shipper's info to call them (IKEA uses a 3rd party shipping company) to get an estimate. Since from the email, I should have received a phone call with a 4 hour window the day before delivery. I waiting a couple hours, had lunch and then got a phone call. The driver was 15 mins away and letting me know. What a relief! I was so happy that there was some status to the delivery and I didn't want to be on the phone for hours with IKEA. Delivery arrived on time and nothing was damaged. Very fast and efficient. Signed the paperwork and everything was good. No missing items.

My overall experience using Ikea.com has been great. Was worried at first especially reading previous reviews. I do feel like IKEA should have been better with updates and the order confirmation. Makes it a little unnerving when I can't view my order when I log in and can only track it with the order number. Overall, I'm happy everything worked out in the end. I wanted to share my experience since most of the reviews are bad.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We were so excited to purchase our first Ikea items, but it quickly turned into a nightmare. We ordered a bed online, as well as a locker for our daughter. It was supposed to be delivered on Christmas Eve, but did not get delivered. I received an email stating our delivery date was pushed back because nobody was home for the delivery (we were there all day). It was then set to be delivered that Friday, but I again received an email saying the delivery was moved to the following week by our request (we never requested this).

I then called IKEA (almost impossible to get through their customer service line) and they stated they were not showing a request for a new delivery, that it must be the third party delivery company. We then contacted the delivery company and they said IKEA requested the new date. Nobody took responsibility. Overall, we ended up canceling the order because we were going to be out of town the following week on vacation and wouldn't be able to be home. The IKEA customer service rep did process our refund and informed me it takes about 14 business days to receive the refund, but we received it in just over a week.

Upon our return home, we decided to go online to see if our local store had these items in stock. The site said there were nine in stock of one item, and approx five in stock for the other. I did call to verify, in which we were told the same... They were in stock. We drove the hr to the store, only to find out that nothing is as actually in stock! We were then told to check online so we know it's in stock, and upon telling them we did that and called, we were offered no alternative and left empty handed with a waste of gas money to get there and back.

We decided to try once more and go online to order all items, plus some more. There is a second store a little over an hr from us that showed everything in stock, and again, we called to verify. Everything was in stock! Instead of driving there to pull it ourselves, we utilized the option to have them pull our items for us and we would go pick up at the customer service counter. We paid online with no issues and scheduled our pick up for later that day.

However... I received a call from that Ikea store to inform me that the items were not in stock (after we already paid for them) and that they would not be in stock for a couple of weeks. I asked if we would be notified by email so we can then come pick them up, and she said no because she had to issue a full refund since they were not in stock... To check back on the app to ensure they are in stock before we reorder (we did that this time around and it said they were!).

Now we have to wait more than a week to receive a refund. Jamie, the woman I spoke with, informed me she would be processing our refund yesterday, but as of today, we have not received an email showing it has been processed and we are unable to get through on the customer service line. This has been the absolute worst experience we have ever had while buying something. We will be buying furniture to furnish our home elsewhere, as it is pretty much impossible to buy from Ikea.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My $4,000 purchase has become the most frustrating experience. It is obvious that IKEA does not care about customer service. The desk I purchased arrived damaged. It happens, no worries, made arrangements for the exchange. Received delivery date, sat at home during the delivery time slot. No show, no call, no email, nothing. Called IKEA, sat on the phone for over an hour on hold and through two separate customer support people I was transferred to the resolution department.

When calling or transferred to the “resolution department” you receive a recorded message, that due to high call volume they cannot take your call and the line disconnects. I called the resolution department for two days then refused to be transferred again. On day two, after an hour and 18 minutes on the phone, I was able to find out that my exchange was placed on hold. I was told that the desktop was out of stock and they did not know when it would be back in stock and would be issuing me a credit after they pick up the damaged desktop. I asked to speak to a manager, as the desk “bottom” does me no good with a desk “top.” I was placed on hold to schedule a pick-up for the damaged desktop, but ended up in someone’s voicemail, where I did leave a message about my problem, but never received a callback.

At this point I turned the damaged top over and will use it for the time being. I don’t imagine that I will ever purchase anything from IKEA or recommend them to anyone. When the volume of complaints is so large that you can’t hold to speak to a resolutions agent, the product must be bad. Very dissatisfied. I placed my order on December 4th 2018, and it is January 8, 2019 and my problem still isn’t resolved.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I moved into a new house in 2015 and bought IKEA products for a Kitchen island and a walk-in bedroom closet. I have sixteen 36" drawers in the closet. One of the drawers failed in December 2018 and IKEA will not help because they changed the sizes of their wardrobe offerings and no longer make a 36" drawer. Basically they left me hanging in the wind recommending that I look online and maybe find someone who has an old product to sell. This is not good customer service and is certainly not customer "support". I have always been a champion for IKEA products but that has ended and they have lost this longtime customer. I want to make it clear that this complaint is not about a collapsed drawer front, that can happen, it is about IKEA's complete lack of concern and support for a previously faithful customer.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I ordered two mirrors. One came broken to pieces and the other was the wrong color. When I called to ask to return it I was put on hold so they could do paperwork for 45 minutes! They said I would get an email but I never did. I called back two other times and after hearing them say that the person before them did it wrong, I finally got an email that they were working on sending me a return label. I called a few times later and they kept saying it takes a week or more to get a returned label.

The next thing I knew I got an email the day before New Year's and said they would pick up the items on New Year’s Day. As most people are, I was out of town. They called on New Year’s Day and said they were on their way to my house to pick it up. Because I didn’t have enough time to take it out of the garage where it had been kept for TWO MONTHS, and I was out of town, I just told them to forget it and that I would never purchase another item from them and I would tell my friends my experience as well. Worst customer service ever. Still can’t believe one mirror was sent in a flimsy box and cane shattered to pieces.

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs