1.12/5
Based on 280 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

1186 IKEA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 20, 2018

So... I've been a customer of IKEA since they opened their first US store in Hicksville, NY. I know IKEA is cheapo furniture, so I never had any illusions about the quality of its products. I viewed it realistically. However, over the years when I need some little piece of furniture that needed to be inexpensive I went to the store and bought what they had in stock. Never had problem or thought anything was out of sorts. I was the ideal IKEA customer, I walked the store, bought what they had, paid attention to how many boxes each piece had, didn't need help, and never had an issue.

So recently, I wanted to buy a bed for my Dad's house since he is elderly and I now go there for a few days to help out around his house. So I went to the IKEA website. Now bear in mind... I'm a computer engineer, I know how all this stuff works, and I own workstations that most people dream about or don't even know exist. Basically supercomputers. I went to the site and picked out a mattress, frame, some sheets, pillows and even to remembered to order the slats (which are a separate item not mentioned clearly on the site). When I got to the page for entering my delivery info, I got a server side error message. This I know happens a few ways. So I did everything on my end that could possibly cause that type of error on their server; cleared cache, history, cookies, etc. Nope... They had some server error happening on their end. Tried this five day in a row.

OK fine... So I called the order in. I got a nice person, Shavonne, on the phone who took my order and even waited with me until I got email confirmation that the order went through. This was 07/01. I had an estimated delivery date of 07/11. OK... fine. Looking at their agreements and delivery rules, which is what they are... Rules customers must comply with... I realize they have a very strict process. A 3rd party trucking company, the requirement for an adult to sign for the shipment, estimated delivery dates are just that an estimate, that the trucking company would call when they receive delivery from IKEA and would at that time give the actual date with a four hour time window, etc. OK... I get it.

So lo and behold I get the first notice that my order has been shipped. Now at first glance (and if like many people, you don't carefully read things) you could easily assume your order is on its way to you. Not so. This notice tells you IKEA has shipped the order to its 3rd party truckers warehouse, not you. Now this notice from IKEA is very ambiguous since it doesn't state this clearly. But if you look at the images you can see three progression bars at the top: Order Shipped, Ready To Deliver, Order Delivered.

Apparently when "Order Shipped" is highlighted this means IKEA has sent it own trucks to the 3rd party trucking companies warehouse. It tells you the date the order departed on by IKEA trucks from their own distribution center. To be clear, that's when it left IKEA's distribution center and en route to the trucking company. Now as a customer, you would have no way of understanding what all this meant, since it is not clear. It only becomes clear when you get the second "Ready To Deliver" notice, which contains different information. On that notice the "Departed" notation changes to "Received at Delivery Company". Ahhh... So now we see it wasn't shipped to us. Now in my case it took IKEA's trucks 8 days to get to the trucking company, departed 07/08, received 07/16 (so I guess their distribution center is in Alaska or something).

Bear in mind, this is a classic case of a programmer being myopic. He knows the terms and phrases before he writes the code, and doesn't view this from the person receiving the automated message who doesn't know these important system events. So this is why so many reviews talk about people thinking the estimated date is the date they will receive delivery and that it's on its way to them (when it really wasn't), due to these ambiguous messages.

First, why tell a customer your internal routing from one truck, to a warehouse, to another truck? In short, too much information leading to confusion. Instead of saying "order departed" it should say "order sent to delivery company". Without knowing the content of the next message, the customer doesn't know where it's going... Only where it was. So that explains a lot of the complaints. Bad messaging and poor communication, and myopic & inexperienced programmers of their automated messaging system. OK... fine.

Now here's where it gets really messed up. My estimated date of delivery was 07/11. OK... I knew the order departed on the 8th, so not knowing the next message would then tell me XPO (the trucking company) would receive it, I assumed that process was or had happened. Why? Because on the 10th I got a phone call from XPO telling me my shipment would arrive on the 11th and my four hour window was between 3pm-7pm. Great!!! Not so great. I got an email from XPO saying the shipment was delayed and wouldn't be here until between 7pm-9pm. Damn! OK I can wait a few more hours. Great!!!

Not so great... They never showed. So I assumed then they would be there the next day and sent an email to the trucking company figuring IKEA was now out of loop delivery wise. Well 50 hours later I got a reply, with XPO apologizing for the "confusion" and that in reality IKEA had not yet delivered the shipment to them and they would contact me when it arrived. Turns out "they" was IKEA. I called IKEA Customer Service and got someone on the phone rather quickly. They checked around, mumbling something about them getting a lot of complaints about XPO and finally saying she could see the problem (didn't tell me) and would transfer me to "The Resolution Department". TaDAH!!! Well... That never happened, three hours on hold on speaker phone and eventually they just disconnected me.

Wait but there's more! That night I got my second notice. The "Ready To Deliver" notice. Ah ha! Now I see. XPO really didn't have the shipment yet... OK now we're cooking with butter!!! And guess what... I got another phone call on the 18th telling me my delivery would happen on 07/19 between 3pm and 7pm. Great!!!

Not so great. I got a phone call around 7pm telling me the driver wouldn't be able to make it on time and was going back to New Jersey and that I had to call IKEA CS to schedule another appointment. Wait what? Doesn't the trucking deliver till 10pm? The driver can decide when to go home? Doesn't he work for them? Now I'm confused. Well... no. I'm not calling IKEA, they don't have the shipment. So I called back the number that called me to tell me the driver gave up and turned tail. Got one person, then a "stupervisor" person. She was determined to get to the bottom of this (even putting me on hold to go out to the warehouse) and came back promised to "get the facts" and get back to me. Ahhhh... Nope. Didn't happen.

Then I get another "Ready to Deliver" message from IKEA, ya know, the second message. And this one says: "Received at delivery company: 07/19/2018 19:44" and "Your scheduled delivery date & time window*: 07/19/2018 09:00 to 21:00". I mean look at that. The time window states it starts 10 hours and 44 minutes before the trucker even has it. Or that it will be delivered in an hour. Clearly this is erroneous data being spit out because of the driver checking in the shipment he didn't deliver, and that data got kicked back to the IKEA system which is clearly is not "smart technology". But would the average consumer understand this? Nope, not a chance.

Can the human cattle either has employed fix this? Apparently not. But boy, the computers they have sure do try to communicate... a lot! So as of this writing I have no idea when my bed is coming. No clue. Will I shop at the IKEA store ever again after 35 years of being a loyalist to IKEA and its brand. Well... umm... gee. After this nonsense and sleeping on a couch for 16 days (so far)... Ahhhhh, nope. One word... Amazon.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This complaint is for IKEA store located in Canton, MI. We got a call last night letting us know that the delivery was scheduled for today between 12-4 Pm. My 70 years old mother and I were waiting for delivery staff from 12-5:45 pm in an unfurnished apartment and no one showed up. I called the IKEA store more than 10 times in this time span and everyone kept leaving us on hold for 15-30 minutes and then hung up over and over again. We bought about $3000 worth of furniture and after waiting for 5 hours and 45 minutes the delivery staff asked us if all the items require assembly?

When we responded yes and mentioned the fact that we have paid for the assembly of all of the items, the delivery staff said they won’t be able to help us today because they already had 3 other work orders and they were tired as well as the fact that my apartment building did not accept delivery anytime after 6 pm and I mentioned that to IKEA staff members several times when I called them.

Now they are rescheduling the delivery in 4 days and we have to spend $200/night to stay at an Inn, since our home is not furnished yet. By the way, after 5 hours and 45 min of waiting I called the IKEA to talk to the manager of the store and complain about the whole situation and the response was: “that wouldn’t be possible because he is not available”. I paid you almost $3000 and this is how you treat your customers. The people responsible for this whole mess should be ashamed of themselves. Tomorrow when the manager becomes aware of this complaint he will have a few hours to make this right. Otherwise I will cancel the damn order and buy all of my furniture from somewhere else. At least I know I won’t be treated like this anywhere else when I pay $3000.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 19, 2018

I had ordered several items and the delivery was scheduled for today (18th July) between 5 to 9 pm. No one called to confirm when the exact delivery was happening. Then at 10 pm I got a mail that delivery can't be completed. This is ridiculous as I canceled few appointments and waited for this delivery. They could have at least informed me on the same. Now their customer care is even difficult to reach. But, going by the negative reviews I am sure IKEA doesn't care. [Also their online tracking is so vague.]

Original review: July 19, 2018

I ordered two pieces of furniture (Hensvik wardrobe and Hemnes chest of 2 drawers). After a miserable delivery experience (the delivery company called me with no warning saying they arrived, and even though I told them to pull into a certain area they did not - and I was fined $250 by my building)... BOTH items came with defective parts. After 5 days of calling the customer service number (at all times of day) and not being able to get through (you will receive a "this number cannot be reached" message), I finally was able to connect and spent 70 minutes on hold - I spoke with a customer service rep on who was extremely rude, but assured me that they were shipping the replacement parts that should arrive within 3-5 business days. The replacement parts have still not been received, and yet again I cannot get through via phone.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I should've remembered what I knew from this company before making a purchase. This company along with 2 many others, couldn't care less about C/Service or following up or even quality control. I should've researched them before, but what's happening across our country is nothing's been made here in US in such a very long time. Every country but the U.S make, manufacture & distribute the majority, when compared to actual items we consume in one way or another. Literally from A-Z. Nothing is inspected except, randomly. Yes I'm off topic because if I'd have checked the customer reviews I'd have remembered nothing has changed with this company. When you do attempt to call customer service you actually as I did, get a message about "Try back on Tuesday to Thursday, from X time to X time". Nothing on their website works except of course, when it comes to how to make a "Purchase".

Beware. I attempted every possible way to contact them, sent numerous emails from their site, it's been over a week & of course nothing from them. Funny though, if you made a purchase you would get that verification. We purchased a kitchen faucet, the actual part that goes on the end of the faucet for water pressure... Not there. The ridiculous pamphlet that comes, is literally printed in at least 10+ languages, & different maps of the globe show up as part #'s being different depending on where you purchased from. Wow, they can do all of that but cannot, obviously do not care about customer service. Too many monopolies & not enough competition. Every service, product or bit of merchandise we buy is limited or they/Co. are on their way out of business. Customer service is seriously lacking now more than ever before. They simply don't care. Again, not enough competition & or a monopoly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: July 16, 2018

Placed an order on the website June 25th. Received an email a day later to tell me my order would arrive by July 3. July 10th, I have not received anything yet, not my merchandise, nor an email telling me there might be a delay. Took 2 days to make a phone call, because there wasn't a phone either landline or cell that could connect to any of the customer service numbers listed on the site without getting an immediate busy signal followed by an "all circuits are busy" message. When I finally got thru, the rep was reasonably polite, but told me she needed to transfer me to a different dept to see if they could look further in depth as to where my order was, then was transferred and left on hold for 45 mins. Called back, same thing.

Called back and decided to try to connect directly with the dept I was originally transferred to, and left on hold for 45 mins. Called back 3 more times just to experiment, and tried the prompt involved in making a new purchase and shockingly go right thru in seconds... As soon as I explained the issue, transferred and left on hold for 40 mins... and finally, disconnected on. I've yet to receive resolution on this matter, which at this point is that I wish to cancel the order which nobody there can do for me without a major act of Congress leaving me on hold. I also haven't received said merchandise. I'm half tempted to write the 250 bucks off as my blood pressure is more important to me than the money, but it's principle right now. Buyers beware!!!

Original review: July 15, 2018

Was promised by Rasheeda **, Customer Care Manager that replacement parts were packaged and ready to ship from their Tempe, AZ store on 6/25/18. It is now 7/15/18 and I have not received parts. Phone calls, emails and FB messages have gone unanswered. Unwired these parts to finish assembling my Alex unit that I purchased online in April 2018. Bad customer service when customers are lied to and ignored!

Original review: July 14, 2018

Writing this review while on hold with IKEA customer service. Based on my experience so far, I will have plenty of time. Ikea delivered one short of the wrong item two months ago and I have been trying to get this resolved ever since. Initially scheduling the delivery required that I wait 3 weeks for a weekend delivery and then the delivery window was vague. They ended up delivering around 6 in the evening after waiting all day. The delivery should have been two shelves but was only one. They instructed me to contact Ikea.

After they were gone, I notice that the bookshelf was the wrong one. Well, after at least an hour on phone. They say the delivery company would contact me to pick up the wrong item. Never happened. A day or so later I got a voicemail message that said they were on the way to pick up the item. I was at work. No notice and no way to get home in time. There is more, but thinking of the abuse is making me feel additionally upset and mistreated. Weeks later, I got an email to give them a call for my resolution and refund. It's been 95 minutes and I am on hold again as they have transferred me to a different department. IKEA ONLINE AND ON THE PHONE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NO SERVICE. Very extremely dissatisfied!

Original review: July 14, 2018

If everything goes well, Ikea might be OK but if something goes wrong help is difficult to get. I am extremely upset. I was informed by FedEx that my order would be delivered on Thursday, 7/12, I stayed home to receive the order only to be informed that the order would arrive today 7/13. My wife stayed home. When she went out at 4 PM she found the package left outside our house. When I opened the package 4 items were missing. I've spent over an two hours waiting on hold to talk to someone. That is not acceptable.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Insanity is the best word I can come up with! Part 1, Order Abuse! We ordered a corner chair/Sleeper which is something completely unique to Ikea. So, we ordered it. As MANY people reviewing here have said, we ordered June 11th. Was given a tenative delivery date of June 19th. Of course I figured it would be a few days later. WOW!!!

I got the name of the shipper, STI, and called them when it didn't show or call by the 20th. They told me Ikea had DUMPED MASSIVE ORDERS ON THEM! They went from 1 to 2 trucks a week to 3 to 4 a DAY! They said they were SO backed up it might be mid JULY before they could deliver it! I live in Wichita Kansas, my order was in a warehouse in Missouri. It had been there only a couple of days, the shipper actually only received it ON the 19th. The day it was supposed to be delivered.

They apologized but could not help me. So many more were waiting ahead of me. BTW, STI answered the call quickly. They were as understanding as they could be. IKEA kept me on hold for HOURS! They would answer then have to transfer me to someone else. That transfer would take forever as well, longer than 45 minutes! FINALLY I would get an answer, but TWICE was hung up on, once, a rep actually picked up the phone while saying faintly, but understandable, to someone else there nearby, "Lemme get rid of this one" and hung up! After almost an hour on hold. Yeah, Great Customer Service.

Part 2: The Refund Strikes Back! I called to cancel this order. I spent LONG LONG times on hold and speaking to THREE different people spending at LEAST 30 minutes on hold each time listening to VERY LOUD Hold music and advertisements. (Usually more time was needed than 30 mins.) FINALLY I got them to issue a refund. Was told it would be 7 to 10 (TEN!) business days and I would get it. On the 11th day I called back. NOW, they say it would be 7 to 14 days!! I still had 4 days. NOPE! I challenged this abuse and more, but was told it would be handled by Weds, July 18th. TODAY I get an Email saying it is necessary to call them back to finalize my refund! I stit, now, over an HOUR on hold after reaching someone quickly only to be told I had to be transferred to another department.

Part 3, The Revenge! THANK GOD I bought this on my Amazon Prime VISA card. I called THEM and THEY WILL get me my money back! About $700! And they will deal with Ikea. THEY will make Ikea return the money because it's obvious Ikea doesn't intend to return my money. After the first cancellation/refund call, I received THREE more emails from Ikea saying when my purchase would be delivered, each one more week longer than the last! And I had a Cancellation Number!

THIS IS CLASSIC CUSTOMER ABUSE! These people are abusing their CUSTOMER and worse... THEIR SHIPPER! I do not blame the shipper. IKEA is to blame for all of this. I have been hung on several times and spent HOURS AND HOURS on hold. I have the time technically because I'm retired, but this is INSANITY! NEVER EVER BUY FROM IKEA!!! I have seen, actually READ over a HUNDRED reviews rating them LESS THAN ONE STAR! But there are THOUSANDS out there giving them ONE star, only because Zero is not possible. They are Swedish. The Swedes must have higher tolerance for abuse than Americans!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I drove over 120 miles to visit the closest IKEA store with the idea of reviewing their kitchen cabinets to determine if we might use them in the new kitchen we were planning. I came away thinking we would likely use them. We made several purchases of other items (some of which needed some assembly) and returned home.

When I went to assemble one of the items I found that one of the parts wouldn't fit correctly so I tried calling their customer service line (as was suggested in the instructions) many times and kept getting a "all circuits are busy, please try later." Finally I got through and talked to a person by the name of Jyaye who was rude and totally unhelpful. Finally I asked her to replace the minor item that wouldn't fit and she said she couldn't do that and that all I had to do was to return the purchase to the store (the one I drove 120 miles to get to) and they would give me a new one.

Her only other solution would be to order a new item online and pay the item and delivery charges. I ask her to connect me to someone else that could be more helpful and she said she was the only one to help me and refused to transfer me. This is one of the worse customer services experiences I have ever experienced. My advice: DON'T SHOP IKEA BECAUSE IF YOU NEED ANY HELP IT WON'T BE AVAILABLE.

Original review: July 13, 2018

The purchased item was missing a part. IKEA customer support never picks up the phone. It seems impossible to contact them via phone. You can not leave an email either, because their system always complains about some error and never sends the email to them. In short, if you have any problem you are screwed because they leave you no way to contact them at all.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I ordered furniture from Ikea and got an email on July 9th that it will be delivered on July 11th between 9 am to 9 pm. Of course nothing showed up, I called customer service, could get through ("All circuits are busy" message forever). I was able to get through around 4 in the evening and was on hold for 40 minutes. Spoke to a customer service rep who said that the delivery company will contact me, and Ikea can do nothing for me. She was kind enough to give me the number of the delivery company. I called them this morning, and she said that Ikea does this all the time. The furniture has not even been loaded on the truck, and so they have no idea why I will get it. This is simply unimaginable. I had no idea that Ikea online purchase and delivery system is this bad. I would never have ordered furniture had I known. Now, I am not sure about the status of my order, no one seems to know. This is beyond acceptable.

Original review: July 12, 2018

About 3 weeks ago, I purchased Set of dinner wear, finally arrived most of them broken, I called the customer service after one hrs. and 25 minutes on hold. I was able to talk to customer service, who I told the problem and he hanged up the phone. Worse experience in my life.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I ordered furniture to be delivered and set up for me. One of the ottomans I ordered was defective and the installer could not put it together. I had them take it back and was instructed to contact the customer service number for a replacement. I called and was put on hold for over an hour before I got disconnected. I decided to wait until the next day to try to call again. It took two hours and nine minutes to finally get to someone. The person I spoke to, Gabe, was absolutely wonderful and helpful. Working with Gabe to resolve the issue took the sting out of the incredibly long wait to reach someone, but IKEA really needs to rethink their customer service staffing needs.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Still waiting for a refund from IKEA. It has been almost 3 weeks. They won't answer emails and if you call their "customer support" number all you get is "all circuits are busy now, please try again later". Already reported them to BBB and Attorney General's Office. I don't think I will ever buy another product from IKEA.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I would NEVER recommend ordering online from Ikea. It has now been over a month and we still have not received our order. First we got an email from Ikea saying our delivery was scheduled for Monday, June 18. Scheduled the day off. Never heard from the trucking company. Called Ikea Monday morning only to learn that that delivery date was to the trucking company, not to us. Wasted a vacation day. Three weeks later, still nothing. Called Ikea, luckily, got right through. Put me on hold while they contacted the trucking company. Came back on line and said someone would be calling me from the trucking company the next day.

Got a message from the delivery company telling us their truck would be in our area Thursday and Friday and we would receive an phone call ONE hour ahead. Who has time to take off TWO days to sit around and wait for possible delivery. I will have now wasted THREE vacation days! Just hoping the furniture actually shows up. If not I will cancel my order. Fortunately, my credit card has not been charged yet! We shall see what happens. But after this, I will never order from them again. Hoping nothing comes damaged/missing!!! DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!

Original review: July 10, 2018

I bought a chest of drawers and after getting home to assemble we could not complete the drawers because the box was missing some parts. I accepted that if we call them they would ship it to us, but instead they requested we travel all the way back to the store to show them the receipt. The trip to Ikea in NY takes 3 hrs back and forth and costs $80 two ways in Uber plus I had to wait in line for 2 hours just to talk to someone. When I tried to complain that this is not my fault and they should at least send me the missing part instead of me wasting a full day they said, "This is our policy". I am very upset and will think a hundred times before I ever come back!!!

Original review: July 10, 2018

I got stood up TWICE for a single order - waiting at home 4 hours for nothing. The customer service call takes 30 minutes to go through which other than hearing them say sorry nothing can be done. Don't even believe that they gonna call you before delivery to narrow down your time slot. You should be charged for wasting people's time!

Original review: July 9, 2018

IKEA team, your customer service is probably one of the worst I have ever seen in retail and having worked in retail for 26 years, it's incredible how far behind you are in this evolving e-commerce world. You offer no ability to cancel or change an order online. There is no e-chat so we can actually speak to someone. Your customer service on the phone has people waiting up to hours to talk about an issue, who has the time to do that. I think you purposefully make it difficult to return something or get any real assistance, yet you guys continue to operate worldwide with no vision to the future.

After I canceled my order as the delivery window of 12 hours was too large for my building to accommodate, I ended up buying the furniture in the store and carrying everything home myself. The delivery company tried delivering to my apartment even after I cancelled my order, and called me every day after with some automatic system to schedule the delivery time still. How can you guys be so big and so disorganized and so inconsiderate to your customers? Regrettably, I will probably buy from your store until there is an alternative, as everyone needs cheap furniture. But never again online.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have had an extremely difficult time with Ikea when ordering a kitchen. I ordered a kitchen in the kitchen sale and was to receive a 15% gift card with the order. The gift card never arrived and so I cancelled the order, however the kitchen had already shipped. It took weeks for a refund to be generated and I spend hours on the phone to their customer services include a notable 1.5 hours on hold to get through on one occasion. I decided to re-order a kitchen with them as need to get it sorted before my builder arrived. The new kitchen I ordered was, without notice, taken from sale and so they only shipped half the order and did not let me know. I happened to check the website and realized it was no longer on sale and so called customer service and they said that it was no longer available and that have my order had been cancelled, with no notification to me as a customer.

On discussion with customer services they said that they were sorry for this and at this stage issued me with an e-gift card. I had to cancel the order again at this stage as only half the kitchen was shipped. I have called multiple times over the last few weeks and the current status is that they are not issuing a refund because there was an e-gift card issued. Currently they have over $4000 of my money and they are saying that they will not provide a refund due to the issue with the e-gift card and their cash office is closed to calls from representatives because they are overloaded with refunds. I have not used the e-gift card and just want fully refunded for the large volume of money they have of mine. I have threatened legal action at this stage to try to expedite the process but this does not appear to be working either. Never again will I work with this company.

Original review: July 9, 2018

For a company as large as IKEA you'd think they'd be on top of customer service, especially from a Swedish company. Wrong. In-store things are fine, I don't think anybody ever has issues in-store other than being so overcrowded. We ended up placing an order online about 2 weeks ago for some desk furniture. We picked a delivery time for Sunday (who does that? We thought GREAT!). We got a call on Saturday afternoon from the company they use for delivery verifying our time window for tomorrow. So we verified/accepted it.

Well an hour before the scheduled delivery on Sunday someone calls me to say the delivery is not happening. They don't even have the inventory from IKEA yet. Well why did they call me then? Well it's an automated system that doesn't actually check to make sure the moving company has the inventory (and it was the moving company who called us). So they could not give me an update and I decided, let me just call IKEA. 95 minute hold time I was told when I called... well that's just ridiculous. There is no way to cancel the order online so I sent an email and filled out their form.

I decided to try again today, Monday. 30 minute hold time now. You have got to be kidding me. How is a company this large so terrible with customer service and speaking with their customers? I was an IKEA customer until now. Now I will NEVER buy another item from IKEA so long as I live. And I'll make sure I tell everybody I know NOT to shop here. Completely ridiculous. I'll dispute the charge with my CC company since I can't get a hold of IKEA and they couldn't hold up their end of the contract.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I'd like to note the incredibly poor experience I'm having in shopping with IKEA. I have never experienced such a low quality of customer treatment and customer service in USA and I think this is really a shame for a company like IKEA that prides to be a modern company. I have a detailed chronicle of what I experienced dealing with your company below. I hope some of you will take the time to read it and understand how wrong your service is. As of today I still have not received all the items I ordered, I have probably spent in the last 2 days 8-10h on the phone between IKEA and TForce (the IKEA delivery contractor) and I'm surely not done yet as I will have to call again to fix the missing items.

I find it absolutely unacceptable that the call center wait are so long for issues like mine, they not only make people wait extremely long times, but they never give an expected wait time or provide a call back option like most decent companies do today. A decent online tracking system seems to me a must in 2018 and I'm speechless on the fact that even your operators don't seem to have access to one.

I also found most of their operators to be totally powerless to help customers, not having information or access to your processes, so asking customers to transfer from department to department. Finally their delivery service is dismal, with unprofessional and clueless crew moving stuff at random and without paperworks. Their own call center seems able only to have people wait on the phone another few hours to then say that one has to "call IKEA". I personally think this is a shameful way to treat customers, I will surely think twice before doing business with them again.

Detailed chronicle of what happened: I placed an order on 7/5 in the San Diego store. There could be another whole email about the poor in store experience, but for brevity I'll stay focused on the delivery and customer service issues. The order was quite extensive as I have just moved into a new house, I ordered a sofa, armchair, a kitchen table, a bed and a mattress among other smaller things. In store I asked to have delivery and I was told the earliest window was 7/6 1-5pm.

On 7/6 I checked on the TForce (their delivery contractor) order tracking page to see if everything was in order and I immediately noticed a warning sign saying "Failed Delivery NOT READY AT LOADOUT". I tried to call the TForce call center but after about 1h wait time on the phone I gave up. Around noon, I receive a phone call from IKEA, and an operator tells me there was indeed an issue with my order but that it was resolved and asked if I could move my delivery window to 5pm-9pm. I had plans for the evening but I really needed the delivery as there was a very needed table and the bed for my child, so I agreed on the new delivery window.

Friday I waited until 9pm, but no one showed up. I called the TForce call center around 6.30pm to inquire on the delivery status, because their tracking page was still reporting a delivery failure as in the morning, no movement of any kind. After 1h on the phone, a disgruntled operator announced me there was no delivery from them and he had no idea of where my order was, as it had never been picked up from IKEA. He told me of course to phone IKEA. I did, and spent another 45m on the phone waiting for anyone to answer.

Finally an operator answered me and while she was very sympathetic with my frustration she was also quick to say that she was not able to give me any answers and that I had to call back in the morning to speak with "east coast" operators that could help me with my order. She suggested to call very early in the morning, at 6.30am PT, to avoid huge waiting times. I am speechless by the fact that IKEA leaves your customer wait so long to speak with operators that are powerless to help on the most substantial issues. It is a total disrespect of customers' time and of their experience.

Moving on, at 6.30am I call and of course end up waiting another half hour. After that time an operator answers me telling me that for my case he had to forward me to the sales department, ensuring me it was going to be a short wait. The short wait ended up being another solid hour, making the total time to speak to someone that was able to look up my order 1h30'. Unfortunately after that long time the line dropped, to my total disgust. I was so frustrated I had to stop for some time trying to phone back and a friend of mine offered to call you again and wait on the phone with you this time seeing me in total distress over what was happening.

After another hour on the phone, at around 10am this morning we got another operator that again asked us to be transferred. My friend begged for this to be brief, calling what happened on the previous call. We waited about another 15m (on top of the initial hour) to speak with someone that looked up the order and wanted to transfer us again. We asked for a supervisor and, after another 10m wait, we were able to speak with a supervisor that identified with us as Keisha.

Keisha announced me that while she was able to see that my delivery had been unsuccessful (I had known that since the morning before), she saw that a partial pick up had been done by TForce and that they had some of the items. When I asked when I could have expected the delivery, I was told she needed to inquire and couldn't promise anything, that she was going to take my case and transfer it to a different department. When I told her I was not going to wait another hour for a transfer, she was kind to offer me to do it in the backend and then have people that could help me call me back. I waited 2 hours and finally I received a call from another operator. She offered me to have the full delivery executed that evening between 5 and 9pm and offered to waive my shipping and picking up charges (something amounting to about 1.5% of the total order value, about 50$, wow). I agreed.

The evening, finally the TForce delivery crew calls me. The van arrives and they start unloading a number of packages. I notice they're not counting or checking anything and when they're done they announce me they have no list of items to deliver to me (forgot at the warehouse?) and ask me to sign a release form. I insist we check the items, using my copy of the order list. We found that a number of items were missing, including big and expensive ones as the table.

The delivery crew noted the missing items and accused IKEA for the missing load (but they had clearly not even counted the items they were delivering, let alone checking they were the right ones as they had no order paperworks). The instructions I got was of course to phone you again about the missing pieces. Another 2h on the phone is expecting me and who knows when I'll get what I paid for.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Wish I could give zero stars. Absolutely the worst online ordering experience I have ever had. On June 8 I ordered 3 Billy bookcases and some Oxberg doors for the bottom half. After the "thank you for your order" email there are no communications about expected delivery. There is a tiny link in the footer of the website that allows you to track your order. I saw that it was scheduled for Jun 16 between 9am and 9pm. Two days before I called IKEA. Wait time on the phone was 90 minutes. They said the delivery was off and that's why I hadn't heard from the truck company. Later that day I received an automated call from the truck company telling me a 4 hour range for the expected delivery. I called IKEA again to check on this. Another very long wait on the phone. The happy person said it looked like it was being delivered on the 16th.

On the 16th I ran some errands and was heading home so I would be there one hour prior to my delivery window. I received a call from the truck driver that they were at my house. Fortunately I was just a few minutes away and rushed home to see them delivering my order to the house across the street from mine. I flagged them down to bring it across the street. They had the incorrect address even though all of my info is correct in IKEA and on the order. I noted that one of the long boxes for the bookcases looked bent and they waved off my concern. After they left I opened the boxes and sure enough one long side of one of the bookcase was cracked. I called the delivery people and they told me to call IKEA.

More incredibly long wait times on the phone. The person created a case number and a new order for a replacement bookcase. I never received a confirmation email. I checked the order on the website and it was scheduled for the next Saturday - the 23rd. Hooray! The day before the delivery I had heard nothing from the delivery company so I checked the website. It had been rescheduled to the following Saturday - the 30th. The day before that delivery date I checked the website again because I had heard nothing. It was rescheduled to July 7. Today. I called IKEA last night. 60 minute wait. "Same delivery company as before," they said. I called the delivery company this morning and I am not on their list for delivery.

I called IKEA and after waiting on hold for 30 minutes got to a person who transferred me to their "resolution center". After one hour on hold the call disconnected and now the number gives an error message when called. I called the delivery company again hoping that somehow my info would be there and I would be on the schedule. No I am not. It still shows on the IKEA website the delivery is scheduled for today. But now their "customer service" number is completely out of service. At this point I just want my money reimbursed for the damaged bookcase.

Original review: July 7, 2018

My delivery had an item missing. I went back and reviewed my receipt and sure enough I ordered it and paid for it. But the new receipt they sent didn't have it on it. So although I paid for it they forgot to ship it. I tried calling and hold times were too long. I never got to talk to anyone. And when trying to send an email their send button wasn't working so I couldn't send anything. I tried to contact on Facebook as well and no reply. They say to contact them immediately if items are missing from order but they don't give you the chance to contact them! I have no way of speaking to anyone to resolve this. All I want is what I paid for, and they make it impossible. This is stealing. Taking my money and ignoring me.

Original review: July 6, 2018

After buying furniture from Ikea I have learned that paying less has a price. The IKEA company does not have control of any delivery or support after we left the store. My order number is ** and we expected a delivery after paying 2 days after our purchase. We were told that the "XPO" the delivery company would call 1 day before to inform and confirm about the time we should expect it. So we never got any call and I was literally called a liar after the company called the day of delivery given us 30 minutes to accept the delivery otherwise nothing.

So after calling the IKEA to complain they call the delivery company to fix the problem and once again we were fooled by IKEA and the delivery company since after IKEA rearrange the delivery day for Saturday July 7th 2018 the delivery company said that IKEA did not arrange or confirm the delivery. So after all I can only say that I will never buy from IKEA again since they have no respect for the customer and they do not have any control of the delivery as we pay for it with the merchandise.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I ordered a desk for my son on May 17, 2018. It is now July 5th and we never received the desk or an email explaining what the hold up was. BUT they got their money already! I spoke with a C.S. rep and she said yes we received the order but I can't see why it wasn't shipped. She transferred me to the delivery dept and there I stayed on hold for 40 minutes. I was never answered. I called a second time and the same thing happened but they transferred me to unresolved C.S. and again waited 1 hour on hold they never picked up.

I then called back a third time only to find out the wait time was for 81 minutes. WHO HAS THAT KIND OF TIME, THAT'S WHY I ORDERED ONLINE!!! I then sent an email to C.S. and again no response. I am currently on hold again, this time I will cancel my order and go to Walmart. I will never purchase here again. And here is a thought, IKEA. STOP ADVERTISING AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CURRENT CUSTOMERS!!!

Original review: July 3, 2018

So I ordered a KLIMPEN add on shelf from IKEA online. This is my first time. I couldn't even tell you when I ordered because at this point I am going to act like someone just got me for my money and call it a loss. I realized something wasn't right when I didn't receive any confirmation email after I paid for my product. I checked my account. Money was gone. A couple days later I tried tracking the order which stated, "Thank You for your order. We will be processing shortly." Fast forward a couple days after that Same message!

I am really impatient so I started reading reviews online... Oh dear. So determined not to stress myself out I waited a couple more days before calling Customer Service to see if maybe I'll at least get an email or something. Nope. Nothing. I went back online. Read more reviews which oddly I was getting relieve from everyone else pain. All I could do was shake my head. At this point I'm just glad my order only came up to 48 bucks but I will never shop with IKEA Online EVERRR. Again they need to be sued. This is ridiculous!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I ordered my Billy bookcase on May 30, and it arrived with the bottom of the shelf cracked and visibly bent. All other parts were intact. I proceeded to contact IKEA via their online contact form (which was difficult to find) and received a call from them a week later asking for more information. I gave them my information, and on June 13 was told they would send a replacement part within 7-10 business days. It is now July 3 and I am still waiting for a replacement part. Their online contact form is now broken (i.e., not working on Chrome or Firefox) and I have been on the phone for over 30 minutes waiting to speak to a human. I will never buy anything from IKEA again based on this experience.

Original review: July 3, 2018

We made an online order for a mattress and frame on 6/9/2018. The delivery was scheduled for 6/18/2018. Nothing, no notification that the shipment was delayed. Wasted one and a half hours on hold just to speak with someone who had no idea of the status of our order and took no responsibility for the delay. Expected delivery the following Monday as deliveries to our address are only made on Mondays. Again nothing. We then went directly to the Portland IKEA to buy direct. Canceled the order. The new order was to be delivered on 7/2/2018. Again nothing! After contacting IKEA was told the order was not shipped because they did not have it ready for the third party delivery company to pick up. Total incompetence. Pick up of merchandise is OK from the store but home delivery is a complete disaster. I am so pissed.

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

IKEA has gained a cult following thanks to its affordable pricing and multifunctional pieces. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use IKEA furniture in your home.

• IKEA Family program: The IKEA Family program is free to sign up and gives you exclusive access to promotions and special sales. Some of the benefits include free tea or coffee at the store restaurant and 90 day price protection.

• Worldwide locations: IKEA stores can be found across the globe in 41 different countries operating more than 330 stores including franchises, with more locations being added all the time.

• Multiple delivery options: IKEA flat-packs its boxes for easier transport, but if you don't have room to take your new furniture with you, delivery by truck is available for a flat fee. You can combine several items into a single shipment for the same price.

• Business furniture: While commonly thought of as a residential furniture store, IKEA also has a variety of items for businesses at affordable price points.

• In-store restaurant: In many IKEA stores they provide an IKEA Restaurant that features Swedish-style cuisine so you can take a lunch break or grab a quick snack to improve your shopping experience.

• Best for: Cost-savvy shoppers, families, DIYers and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs