2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.50/5

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

IKEA Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2020

I placed a furniture order on 3/27, with a delivery date of 4/8. That date came and went with no update. Obviously this is a difficult time, but I was frustrated that IKEA was happy to take my money but made no effort to provide any communication once the delivery date had passed. I called customer service and was on hold for about one minute before Kerthia A. picked up. I wasn't expecting someone so friendly on the other end of the call, but she could not have been more helpful or kind. She was very transparent about the likelihood that my order would be delivered, so when I decided to cancel, she processed everything quickly. Even though I'm disappointed I won't get my order, the whole customer service process was surprisingly easy and helpful from start to finish.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I placed an order online for pickup in the store. After ordering the piece of furniture, I found that it was going to be too large to fit where it needed to go. When I went to my local IKEA to pick up my piece of furniture, I explained to the customer service representative what had happened. The customer service representative told me that it would not be a problem for me to return the item and then pick out something else. Luckily, I had printed a page from the website showing the item I needed to fit properly. The customer service representative cheerfully took care of all of my needs, and they even brought my purchase out to my vehicle and loaded it for me.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Ikea is my first choice when furniture shopping because there are so many choices and because the prices are modest. While I realize many people do not want to purchase furniture that they have to assemble themselves, I do not mind doing that if the price is right. I also like the way that Ikea has all of their products displayed in a way that you can see how the finished product will look when assembled. Some of the items are very good quality, while others are not. I have never tried to return anything to the store so I cannot speak to the return policy.

One complaint that I have is that there are often not enough store employees on the floor to assist with questions. Also, due to the fact that there are so many products available, often times, the employees cannot answer questions about the products. This is why I do a lot of research online before going to the store. I also appreciate that when you go to Ikea to shop for furniture, there are also options to shop for home goods such as dishware and decorative items. And they serve food!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Ikea is a great experience and I really do like that they switch out their products every so often, though there are times when something is discontinued that I would have liked some notice before it went away. However the customer service is a different matter and it has made me reconsider buying from ikea on numerous occasions. The system used to track what is in stock and the store is unreliable and in NYC where it is like planning warfare to plan the logistics of a large pickup from ikea it is disheartening and infuriating. Delivery is another thing. XPO logistics is garbage.

I had the worst experience with ikea delivery in which the delivery company baldly stated that "YOUR truck does not have a driver" when I called them to check on the status of a delivery that was suppose to come that morning. The hemming and hawing and COMPLETE lack of accountability from XPO logistics was a huge turnoff. Ultimately it make me think for the most part ikea may be a fun place to browse and the designs are sometimes great but larger furniture purchases are best left for other retailers that can deliver.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I ordered a large purchase before looking at the reviews online. I accidentally put in the wrong address number and read that I would need to have the order cancelled. I tried for three days to get in contact with IKEA online customer support and never could get any help. I waited on the phone for at least 45 minutes and called 13 times. I could never get ahold of anybody until the following Monday when I called as soon as they opened. I talked to the customer service agent who let me know that she could change the address number once the items left the warehouse. I was not able to cancel a few of the items that I did not want anymore. I had also request to cancel the order through email twice and 3 days later both emails had a response from the company saying that I could not cancel because the items had been pulled for delivery. All I could do was hope that my order showed up when it was supposed to, to the correct address... and it did!

I received an email saying that my order would be delivered on the 20th and it was. I was also told that it would come between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., which is an inconvenient window, but I received an automated phone call n the 19th from the delivery company saying that they would be there between 10 and 2. I received another call from the driving 15 minutes prior to delivery letting me know they were on their way. They were at my house at 10:15. You need to be aware that the delivery company is not the same company as IKEA. However, everything was ordered in one go and all parts were there.

Even though I had an unpleasant customer service experience, the order and delivery were exactly as promised. Over 67 boxes showed up on time and undamaged. While I would give five stars for the delivery and delivery company, I can only give 4 because of my attempts at calling and lack of cohesiveness between the customer support team and the delivery company. Just make sure everything is absolutely correct before you order as it is fairly difficult to change once it's been placed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: June 3, 2020

I like thousands of others am also waiting for refunds and deliveries. They have had my money for over 6 weeks now and I have no idea if or when I will receive anything. ‪After trying to reach out to them unsuccessfully on the phone lines many times....IKEA now has a message saying “due to technical difficulties we cannot take any calls today.” To try chat ....which is never available. Email is never open. The other day tracking wasn’t even available. So basically they are unreachable! I am posting warnings on all social media outlets that they should not be trusting IKEA with their money! I also reached out to ATV.ca news who did an article on June 1st. However IKEA had no valid answers. This cannot be blamed on the unprecedented times we are in....other companies much smaller than IKEA are not taking people’s money and then disappearing with it. Do we not have any consumer rights or protections?

Original review: June 1, 2020

I have placed an order, several thousand dollar order, on March 25 with expected delivery date of May 9. The delivery date came and went with no word from Ikea. I’ve tried calling multiple times only to hear a recording stating that their call volume is high and to try back later. I logged into my account to look at my order, and my order history says “No Orders”. Now I’m getting really concerned. My credit card was charged on March 26 for the full amount. I did receive an email yesterday stating one of my items is out of stock and that item was being cancelled and I would be refunded within 7 days.

Right now I’m out $3000 and have nothing from ikea except my order confirmation and one email for an out of stock item. Sending an email to customer service will only allow for order cancellations. I sent a scathing email to cancel my order. If I don’t hear back, I will file a complaint with the WA state Attorney General's office. I will never do business with Ikea again!!

Original review: June 1, 2020

I have tried to contact Ikea customer service by every means possible. I have spent a combined 10 hours on hold and each time the line drops. If you call them now, their phones simply do not work due to "technical difficulties". The website says to use the live chat, which is a joke because for days the live chat has said there are no agents available and then disappears entirely. They are also not taking emails anymore. No one from Ikea has sent an email explaining or apologizing for the situation, or providing an updated delivery date/explanation of the delay. Does anyone still work there? It seems to me they are taking orders they simply can't fulfill. I'm thoroughly dissatisfied. I strongly recommend you take your business elsewhere.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I placed my order on 5/26 and the estimate delivery date was 5/30. When the day passed there was nothing delivered and no email alert, confirmation or anything at all. I tried to call IKEA and it took years for them to pick up the freaking phone. The customer service rep was so rude and all she wanted was to cancel my order. So I ask her to cancel my order then I was put on line for another hour and nobody gives a freak on me. I was just put on hold on the phone for an hour for nothing. I eventually hanged up because I got things to do but this customer service experience is terrible. You can't even reach out to them through email because the only subject to email is to cancel order. BTW "Delivery fees are unrefundable". Why???? They did nothing but a part of the money I pay was stolen. Would never purchase from IKEA ever again.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Ordered the MALM Queen Size Bed Frame. They clearly stated the midbeam was included in the price. The order arrived and I put together the frame just to find out at the end that the midbeam is missing. Cannot get anyone to help me from their customer service by phone. I called in and was transferred to a machine that said a few words and hung up on me - happened several times. Every time you hit the link to email them it diverts you to a page to call in to cancel your order. The midbeam costs $10 and the shipping is $50. I'm not paying $60 for something that should have already been included in the order. Forget pick-up - that option is always unavailable due to max orders placed per day despite checking at 12:01AM. You've lost a household of customers, IKEA!

IKEA author review by ConsumerAffairs

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team