2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.42/5

IKEA Reviews

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I placed an order online for pickup in the store. After ordering the piece of furniture, I found that it was going to be too large to fit where it needed to go. When I went to my local IKEA to pick up my piece of furniture, I explained to the customer service representative what had happened. The customer service representative told me that it would not be a problem for me to return the item and then pick out something else. Luckily, I had printed a page from the website showing the item I needed to fit properly. The customer service representative cheerfully took care of all of my needs, and they even brought my purchase out to my vehicle and loaded it for me.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Ikea is my first choice when furniture shopping because there are so many choices and because the prices are modest. While I realize many people do not want to purchase furniture that they have to assemble themselves, I do not mind doing that if the price is right. I also like the way that Ikea has all of their products displayed in a way that you can see how the finished product will look when assembled. Some of the items are very good quality, while others are not. I have never tried to return anything to the store so I cannot speak to the return policy.

One complaint that I have is that there are often not enough store employees on the floor to assist with questions. Also, due to the fact that there are so many products available, often times, the employees cannot answer questions about the products. This is why I do a lot of research online before going to the store. I also appreciate that when you go to Ikea to shop for furniture, there are also options to shop for home goods such as dishware and decorative items. And they serve food!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Ikea is a great experience and I really do like that they switch out their products every so often, though there are times when something is discontinued that I would have liked some notice before it went away. However the customer service is a different matter and it has made me reconsider buying from ikea on numerous occasions. The system used to track what is in stock and the store is unreliable and in NYC where it is like planning warfare to plan the logistics of a large pickup from ikea it is disheartening and infuriating. Delivery is another thing. XPO logistics is garbage.

I had the worst experience with ikea delivery in which the delivery company baldly stated that "YOUR truck does not have a driver" when I called them to check on the status of a delivery that was suppose to come that morning. The hemming and hawing and COMPLETE lack of accountability from XPO logistics was a huge turnoff. Ultimately it make me think for the most part ikea may be a fun place to browse and the designs are sometimes great but larger furniture purchases are best left for other retailers that can deliver.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I ordered a large purchase before looking at the reviews online. I accidentally put in the wrong address number and read that I would need to have the order cancelled. I tried for three days to get in contact with IKEA online customer support and never could get any help. I waited on the phone for at least 45 minutes and called 13 times. I could never get ahold of anybody until the following Monday when I called as soon as they opened. I talked to the customer service agent who let me know that she could change the address number once the items left the warehouse. I was not able to cancel a few of the items that I did not want anymore. I had also request to cancel the order through email twice and 3 days later both emails had a response from the company saying that I could not cancel because the items had been pulled for delivery. All I could do was hope that my order showed up when it was supposed to, to the correct address... and it did!

I received an email saying that my order would be delivered on the 20th and it was. I was also told that it would come between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., which is an inconvenient window, but I received an automated phone call n the 19th from the delivery company saying that they would be there between 10 and 2. I received another call from the driving 15 minutes prior to delivery letting me know they were on their way. They were at my house at 10:15. You need to be aware that the delivery company is not the same company as IKEA. However, everything was ordered in one go and all parts were there.

Even though I had an unpleasant customer service experience, the order and delivery were exactly as promised. Over 67 boxes showed up on time and undamaged. While I would give five stars for the delivery and delivery company, I can only give 4 because of my attempts at calling and lack of cohesiveness between the customer support team and the delivery company. Just make sure everything is absolutely correct before you order as it is fairly difficult to change once it's been placed.

Original review: April 15, 2019

We were hesitant to go with Ikea for our recent couch purchase but the price was much better than others and decided to go for it. At first we attempted to add our custom couch to our online cart but it did not work as some of the pieces were unavailable though it wouldn't tell you which ones which required us to go through every piece to figure it out. We saw many of the pieces allegedly available in our store and went back to try to get whatever pieces we could there and order the rest online. Those pieces were not in store but we were able to talk to a customer service rep who went through every piece and found many were changing product numbers and was able to piece the whole couch together with the old and new product numbers and schedule a delivery for us.

Delivery window assigned the day before for 10-2. We got a call around 12:15 saying the truck was between 5-30 min away, sure enough 10 min later they arrived. Unloaded everything, nothing missing, nothing damaged and they were quite quick with the many boxes. All and all after figuring out the ordering with a very helpful customer service rep, everything was very smooth from the in store order to delivery. Pleasantly surprised with our experience and would certainly recommend our local store/delivery.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

So to be fair, Whirlpool actually built the microwave but it's branded IKEA. But if they can't stand behind it they should not put their name on it. The tech support at IKEA for appliances is non-existent. A chat I used was comical. I knew almost all of their products were of very poor quality so I have never purchased any IKEA products. The kitchen in the home I just purchased is all IKEA. Very flimsy cabinets. The built in microwave quit working after one use. I may have to start over with this whole kitchen. You're a sucker if you buy their products. They won't warranty or stand behind any of it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I think IKEA has some cute little items, inexpensive and fun though perhaps not of superior quality. Good stuff if you don't need things to last very long. For the price it's worth it. My gripe is their return process. On my first attempt to return some items that didn't work out (color didn't work), the "take a number and wait your turn" area was backed up for hours long. So...left and waited a couple weeks and came back after all the Christmas returns would be done. Walked in the door the moment they opened and STILL had six people (somehow??) with numbers ahead of mine. Took my number and sat down to wait only to be told all IKEA returns computers are down and we have no idea when they will be back up and running. What?

Options... go shopping in their store while you wait for the computers to come up. Hmmm... Computers are up to purchase just not to return? Also, after you're done shopping, get back in the heinous line to wait your turn again for hours on end. Come on IKEA! Get more customer service people on staff to move these lines through as quickly as you check people out when they're buying your stuff. And hire some professionals who know how to keep your computers running. You've lost me as a customer. But my hope is to save a few more people the headaches I've gone through trying to make a return. There were a lot of disgruntled customers sitting there this morning. I'll pay more and shop elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

This is regarding my order# ** placed on 12/29/2019. Haven't reviewed it yet. Dreamlogistics who are responsible for delivery are giving such a hard time with this order. Twice they have placed and confirmed the delivery. Send text for a window of delivery time... 1st on Jan 8th and then on Jan 15th. They never come in between the time window. We have been making arrangements to make sure someone is available but both the times they ended up coming way before the time frame. Then you call the driver and of course they are not aware of anything.

The dreamlogistics just have one phone number where in they take VM and will tell you to call back. But it takes a week for them to call. I have been trying to call Ikea custcare and they cannot take the call due to high call volume. It is so frustrating that you order something from such a reputable company and it takes almost a month and you are still clueless if you are going to receive the order or not. I really want to get this resolved before I start filing complaints everywhere.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I have previously had a really positive experience ordering from IKEA. I have also never posted a negative review. I purchased several large items online from IKEA. The delivery date was scheduled and in the mean time I ordered another piece of furniture that would require a second delivery date. They only deliver on Fridays.

I took one day off of work for the first delivery to happen. I was not called and given a four hour window the day before, I was only given a 12 hour window. I got a call halfway through the day the delivery was supposed to occur and was told that my order would not be delivered that day. It would be delivered the next week due to equipment issues. I was told that it would be delivered with the second order I had made and scheduled to be delivered that day. I took another day off of work for it to be delivered and they only delivered the first order and not the second order. The night before I was told that the second order might not be delivered. I talked to the delivery company and they said would put it down to deliver all that second deliver date.

The delivery company arrived and delivered everything from my first order and despite having a delivery sheet for the second order did not have the item. I wrote on the delivery forms as I was told to by them that it was not delivered and I immediately called IKEA. I have now called IKEA a total of 7 times in 10 days and the issue has not been resolved. Each time I was told to call back within a period of time and would. Each time I was told they were looking into it and to call back at a later period of time. Twice I was told they would call me back the next day and they never did. Despite confirming today that they have the delivery documents stating it was not delivered, there has been no resolution. I was told someone again would call me within 24 hours.

This has been the worst costumer service experience I have ever had. I have even made the IKEA credit payment for a purchase and delivery I have never received and paid interest on it, still without receiving the item. All but once person I have spoken to on the phone have been nice and helpful. One was very defensive and told me they could not tell me what the process to resolve this would be if it continued because they could not deal with "What ifs". Three times I was disconnected and twice I called and got a message saying the call could not be taken at this time due to high call numbers.

I have now spent hours on the phone trying to just get the furniture I have paid for. Paid interests on an item and delivery that did not occur. And missed two days of work waiting on deliveries. One day, it was cancelled by them half way through the day and the second time, only one order was delivered. This has been very disappointing. A major failure in customer service and a lack of responsibility on their end with returning calls and addressing this matter.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

As I write this review, I am on hold on the phone with IKEA. I ordered some items from them online. A couple days later I went online to cancel the order. (I would rather have spoken to a real person but their phone system kept apologizing for not being able to take my call due to high call volume and then hung up on me). I sent a message through their system.

I read that, because of the high volume of messages received, my message might not be seen for a few days. I also read that if I cancel an order before it is shipped, then I will not be responsible for the shipping charge. Several days went by and I got an email that my order shipped. I called and actually got to speak to a real person who informed me that, "I don't know where you got your information, but you can only cancel an order within two hours of placing the order or after it has shipped." WOW! That sure is a strange way to do business—let's wait until it is in a truck somewhere before we cancel the order. How very environmentally unfriendly.

The woman on the phone said she was canceling my order. She gave me a case number. I hoped for the best whilst I waited for my refund. About half an hour ago I received an email informing me that my order was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. So, I got back on the phone to IKEA. I spoke to a young gentleman who informed me that my order indeed had not been canceled and that he was not able to do that himself but he would transfer me to the proper office that could. He transferred me.

I got disconnected because they were experiencing too many calls. Talk about a runaround. So, I got back on the phone and spoke to young woman. I explained everything that I have experienced up until that very moment and requested that she do not transfer me; that if she needed to find someone who can help me that she drag them to her desk so I don't get hung up on, again. She asked if she could put me on hold. I said, okay. When she returned to the call she told me that she had spoken to someone in the proper office and instead of transferring me she was putting me in the queue so I don't lose the call again.

When someone picked up, I told her the whole ordeal, up until that moment, and when I got almost to the end, she apologized for interrupting me; she could sense my frustration. She informed me that a full refund had been issued just today and had no idea why I was getting an email telling me that my order was being delivered the next day. She was very nice; I have to say that. With all that being said, I will never order again from IKEA online. Moreover, I think that this experience left a bad taste in my mouth that IKEA has lost me altogether; not even their meatballs could get rid of the taste. I caution anyone reading this to think twice, no thrice, about doing ordering from them online. If a company has gotten so big for their breeches that their communications systems fail, then I don't want any part of them. I'll stick to Amazon, where canceling and order is easy-peasy, and returning an item just as much so.

Not sure about IKEA?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Furniture Stores for you.

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team