Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.16/5

IKEA Reviews

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I placed an order online for pickup in the store. After ordering the piece of furniture, I found that it was going to be too large to fit where it needed to go. When I went to my local IKEA to pick up my piece of furniture, I explained to the customer service representative what had happened. The customer service representative told me that it would not be a problem for me to return the item and then pick out something else. Luckily, I had printed a page from the website showing the item I needed to fit properly. The customer service representative cheerfully took care of all of my needs, and they even brought my purchase out to my vehicle and loaded it for me.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Ikea is my first choice when furniture shopping because there are so many choices and because the prices are modest. While I realize many people do not want to purchase furniture that they have to assemble themselves, I do not mind doing that if the price is right. I also like the way that Ikea has all of their products displayed in a way that you can see how the finished product will look when assembled. Some of the items are very good quality, while others are not. I have never tried to return anything to the store so I cannot speak to the return policy.

One complaint that I have is that there are often not enough store employees on the floor to assist with questions. Also, due to the fact that there are so many products available, often times, the employees cannot answer questions about the products. This is why I do a lot of research online before going to the store. I also appreciate that when you go to Ikea to shop for furniture, there are also options to shop for home goods such as dishware and decorative items. And they serve food!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Ikea is a great experience and I really do like that they switch out their products every so often, though there are times when something is discontinued that I would have liked some notice before it went away. However the customer service is a different matter and it has made me reconsider buying from ikea on numerous occasions. The system used to track what is in stock and the store is unreliable and in NYC where it is like planning warfare to plan the logistics of a large pickup from ikea it is disheartening and infuriating. Delivery is another thing. XPO logistics is garbage.

I had the worst experience with ikea delivery in which the delivery company baldly stated that "YOUR truck does not have a driver" when I called them to check on the status of a delivery that was suppose to come that morning. The hemming and hawing and COMPLETE lack of accountability from XPO logistics was a huge turnoff. Ultimately it make me think for the most part ikea may be a fun place to browse and the designs are sometimes great but larger furniture purchases are best left for other retailers that can deliver.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I ordered a large purchase before looking at the reviews online. I accidentally put in the wrong address number and read that I would need to have the order cancelled. I tried for three days to get in contact with IKEA online customer support and never could get any help. I waited on the phone for at least 45 minutes and called 13 times. I could never get ahold of anybody until the following Monday when I called as soon as they opened. I talked to the customer service agent who let me know that she could change the address number once the items left the warehouse. I was not able to cancel a few of the items that I did not want anymore. I had also request to cancel the order through email twice and 3 days later both emails had a response from the company saying that I could not cancel because the items had been pulled for delivery. All I could do was hope that my order showed up when it was supposed to, to the correct address... and it did!

I received an email saying that my order would be delivered on the 20th and it was. I was also told that it would come between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., which is an inconvenient window, but I received an automated phone call n the 19th from the delivery company saying that they would be there between 10 and 2. I received another call from the driving 15 minutes prior to delivery letting me know they were on their way. They were at my house at 10:15. You need to be aware that the delivery company is not the same company as IKEA. However, everything was ordered in one go and all parts were there.

Even though I had an unpleasant customer service experience, the order and delivery were exactly as promised. Over 67 boxes showed up on time and undamaged. While I would give five stars for the delivery and delivery company, I can only give 4 because of my attempts at calling and lack of cohesiveness between the customer support team and the delivery company. Just make sure everything is absolutely correct before you order as it is fairly difficult to change once it's been placed.

Original review: April 15, 2019

We were hesitant to go with Ikea for our recent couch purchase but the price was much better than others and decided to go for it. At first we attempted to add our custom couch to our online cart but it did not work as some of the pieces were unavailable though it wouldn't tell you which ones which required us to go through every piece to figure it out. We saw many of the pieces allegedly available in our store and went back to try to get whatever pieces we could there and order the rest online. Those pieces were not in store but we were able to talk to a customer service rep who went through every piece and found many were changing product numbers and was able to piece the whole couch together with the old and new product numbers and schedule a delivery for us.

Delivery window assigned the day before for 10-2. We got a call around 12:15 saying the truck was between 5-30 min away, sure enough 10 min later they arrived. Unloaded everything, nothing missing, nothing damaged and they were quite quick with the many boxes. All and all after figuring out the ordering with a very helpful customer service rep, everything was very smooth from the in store order to delivery. Pleasantly surprised with our experience and would certainly recommend our local store/delivery.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: March 20, 2020

This dishwasher works well. As long as you maintain it, there is no problem. I do not like that it takes a long time to wash the dishes. Wish it were faster and more water conscious. I'm not sure how good it is in conserving water. Size is good. Wish racks were a little bigger.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I will NEVER shop at this horrible store again. This is in the middle of the coronavirus outbreak. I ordered furniture a week and a half before things got really serious. Decided to cancel the order to avoid the hassle during these times. In order to cancel I placed approx. 20-25 calls to the IKEA customer service. Their automated voice hung up on my 80% of the time. 20% of the time when I got through to a live human being, they gave me the run around telling me the right department was busy or closed (6:30EST closing time, which is apparently enforced at 6PM EST... being in California this is ridiculous).

Finally got through to a rep who could cancel my order and after 3 days of running behind ikea and calling once every few hours he has the audacity to tell me that they can refund the items but NOT the delivery fee. I've been calling the dang store since I ordered the item and now, 3 days later when the shippers got their hands on the item he tells me I have to pay the $50 shipping fee even though I will never get the item.

On top of that here's the rub: Refunds take 12-14 days to process. I get NO confirmation of my refund, just an 8 digit reference number. There is NO manager to escalate the situation. The only way to escalate is to wait 2-3 weeks for when the manager is potentially available to talk to them then. There is NO way to check the status of the refund

I was told to call back in 2 weeks to check the status of the refund. CALL BACK after everything I had been through (interrupting my work every hour to make an IKEA call for 3 days). And there was NO way to get the delivery fee back. Mark my words I will NEVER be shopping at this forsaken company again and I truly hope this company fails - this type of customer service should be treated with a lawsuit, not an angry review. TL;DR: Never shop at IKEA online.

Original review: March 14, 2020

First, I’d like to give 5-Stars and a show of respect to the customer service call attendants Kevin and Wade. I been on hold all morning trying to get a delivery problem resolved and Kevin in particular went above and beyond to help to attempt to correct IKEA’s system. Once again everyone working at IKEA is extremely helpful and pleasant to work with however their systems are behind the times and lack many simple characteristics like a notation system to keep track of problem history. If you have never had any issues with an IKEA order you may never experience this antiquated and frustrating system but if you do hope you get Wade or Kevin on your case. They are the only reason I would ever consider doing business with IKEA in the future. 1-Star for IKEA. 5-Stars for Kevin & Wade!

Original review: March 14, 2020

Top rated by CR, under $400 and a 5 year warranty, easy install even though you need a special 90 degree connector which I just happened to have in my 'supplies'.

Original review: March 10, 2020

Items were supposed to be delivered 3/8/20. Never showed, tracking still shows items are scheduled 3/8/20 and it's now 3/10/20. Called customer service, have been on hold for 45 minutes and have been passed from customer service to customer service person. None of them clearly give a **. I wasn't even calling to complain, I just want to know where my $1100 order is but no one can give me a solid answer. The last guy I got told me his name was Brandon, then mid-call I asked his name and he said Abraham. Even the customer service people can't be straight with you. This is the last time I ever purchase anything from IKEA.

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team