3.43/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

IKEA

Looking for a good furniture store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

IKEA Reviews

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Ikea is my first choice when furniture shopping because there are so many choices and because the prices are modest. While I realize many people do not want to purchase furniture that they have to assemble themselves, I do not mind doing that if the price is right. I also like the way that Ikea has all of their products displayed in a way that you can see how the finished product will look when assembled. Some of the items are very good quality, while others are not. I have never tried to return anything to the store so I cannot speak to the return policy.

One complaint that I have is that there are often not enough store employees on the floor to assist with questions. Also, due to the fact that there are so many products available, often times, the employees cannot answer questions about the products. This is why I do a lot of research online before going to the store. I also appreciate that when you go to Ikea to shop for furniture, there are also options to shop for home goods such as dishware and decorative items. And they serve food!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Ikea is a great experience and I really do like that they switch out their products every so often, though there are times when something is discontinued that I would have liked some notice before it went away. However the customer service is a different matter and it has made me reconsider buying from ikea on numerous occasions. The system used to track what is in stock and the store is unreliable and in NYC where it is like planning warfare to plan the logistics of a large pickup from ikea it is disheartening and infuriating. Delivery is another thing. XPO logistics is garbage.

I had the worst experience with ikea delivery in which the delivery company baldly stated that "YOUR truck does not have a driver" when I called them to check on the status of a delivery that was suppose to come that morning. The hemming and hawing and COMPLETE lack of accountability from XPO logistics was a huge turnoff. Ultimately it make me think for the most part ikea may be a fun place to browse and the designs are sometimes great but larger furniture purchases are best left for other retailers that can deliver.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I ordered a large purchase before looking at the reviews online. I accidentally put in the wrong address number and read that I would need to have the order cancelled. I tried for three days to get in contact with IKEA online customer support and never could get any help. I waited on the phone for at least 45 minutes and called 13 times. I could never get ahold of anybody until the following Monday when I called as soon as they opened. I talked to the customer service agent who let me know that she could change the address number once the items left the warehouse. I was not able to cancel a few of the items that I did not want anymore. I had also request to cancel the order through email twice and 3 days later both emails had a response from the company saying that I could not cancel because the items had been pulled for delivery. All I could do was hope that my order showed up when it was supposed to, to the correct address... and it did!

I received an email saying that my order would be delivered on the 20th and it was. I was also told that it would come between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., which is an inconvenient window, but I received an automated phone call n the 19th from the delivery company saying that they would be there between 10 and 2. I received another call from the driving 15 minutes prior to delivery letting me know they were on their way. They were at my house at 10:15. You need to be aware that the delivery company is not the same company as IKEA. However, everything was ordered in one go and all parts were there.

Even though I had an unpleasant customer service experience, the order and delivery were exactly as promised. Over 67 boxes showed up on time and undamaged. While I would give five stars for the delivery and delivery company, I can only give 4 because of my attempts at calling and lack of cohesiveness between the customer support team and the delivery company. Just make sure everything is absolutely correct before you order as it is fairly difficult to change once it's been placed.

Original review: April 15, 2019

We were hesitant to go with Ikea for our recent couch purchase but the price was much better than others and decided to go for it. At first we attempted to add our custom couch to our online cart but it did not work as some of the pieces were unavailable though it wouldn't tell you which ones which required us to go through every piece to figure it out. We saw many of the pieces allegedly available in our store and went back to try to get whatever pieces we could there and order the rest online. Those pieces were not in store but we were able to talk to a customer service rep who went through every piece and found many were changing product numbers and was able to piece the whole couch together with the old and new product numbers and schedule a delivery for us.

Delivery window assigned the day before for 10-2. We got a call around 12:15 saying the truck was between 5-30 min away, sure enough 10 min later they arrived. Unloaded everything, nothing missing, nothing damaged and they were quite quick with the many boxes. All and all after figuring out the ordering with a very helpful customer service rep, everything was very smooth from the in store order to delivery. Pleasantly surprised with our experience and would certainly recommend our local store/delivery.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I ordered 3 Kallax bookshelves from Ikea.com US. I've never ordered from them online and wanted to try it because I don't have a big enough truck to haul the boxes. I took a screenshot of my online order number in case the email confirmation got lost in my spam. Total shipping was $39. After my purchase I never received a confirmation email of my order. This worried me a bit. I checked back online in the customer service section and was able to look up by my order number in the tracking section. (Thank goodness I had the screenshot for my order number.) It was there which eased my worry a little bit. Still was unsure. Email did finally arrive in my inbox, but was only an notification that it has shipped. No layout of what I purchased, just that it has shipped.

Next day I received another email that it is ready to be delivered. From the asterisk in the email it said, "*12 hour time window: You will receive a phone call the day before the scheduled delivery date with a 4 hour time window." My time in the email was a 12 hour so I assumed I'd get a phone call the day before. That phone call never happened. The day of delivery, I took off work to make sure I was available for the 12 hours. When I looked online, their delivery policy seems very strict about having someone there to sign for the delivery. I didn't want to miss it.

Since I didn't get the phone call, I started looking at IKEA reviews. Oh man did I find so many bad ones. Now I'm getting paranoid about my shipment not arriving, or it comes damaged, or I have to call customer service and deal with that headache. My mind was racing. I thought about calling IKEA just in case to try and get the shipper's info to call them (IKEA uses a 3rd party shipping company) to get an estimate. Since from the email, I should have received a phone call with a 4 hour window the day before delivery. I waiting a couple hours, had lunch and then got a phone call. The driver was 15 mins away and letting me know. What a relief! I was so happy that there was some status to the delivery and I didn't want to be on the phone for hours with IKEA. Delivery arrived on time and nothing was damaged. Very fast and efficient. Signed the paperwork and everything was good. No missing items.

My overall experience using Ikea.com has been great. Was worried at first especially reading previous reviews. I do feel like IKEA should have been better with updates and the order confirmation. Makes it a little unnerving when I can't view my order when I log in and can only track it with the order number. Overall, I'm happy everything worked out in the end. I wanted to share my experience since most of the reviews are bad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

For the first time I am going to write such awful experience. Well, I ordered MORGEDAL Foam mattress and tried to use IKEA coupon code online and it dint work and order was placed without coupon. I called IKEA customer support to ask for suggestion as to how I can use the coupon and he/she suggested me to cancel the order as it was not shipped or processed and requested to place a new order, for that; i made sure that I wont be losing any money. Then I canceled the order and placed a new order; however coupon works only on in store purchase. I was told to wait for a week for full refund.

Now when I checked my credit card, I was charged $49 for nothing. I asked the customer rep again and she told me that it was already processed. This is weird that customer reps dont have knowledge about policies and their lack of knowledge made me lose $49. Now customer rep is giving me $49 coupon though we dont have IKEA stores in Iowa. I requested a lot to refund but not ready to accept their fault. This is pathetic. I used to use a lot of IKEA stuff in Europe for more than 4 years but here, they are not up to the mark and may damage the reputation of IKEA brand and service.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Tried to get a small damaged part for 1 of the 2 chest drawers I bought. 2 hours over the phone, transferred to 3 different departments and finally learnt that I have to travel to the store to get the part. 2 hours away. No one seemed to be helpful.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

It has something for everyone. I have high end items for my home and less expensive items for my rental. Happy with them all. And I am getting better at putting them together.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

IKEA claims to make purchasing a kitchen simple. They have a lovely kitchen design tool that took me 3 days to figure out how to work. They offer customer service with their "kitchen expert" that did not return my call for 7 days. I had to figure it out myself. Finally I get to the stage of ordering my kitchen cabinets. I spoke with a kitchen expert for over an hour to have them remove cabinet lighting that was not part of my order that added over $600.00 in extras. Each of these blasted lights had to be removed separately. Even after all of the lights were removed there was still one lighting fixture showing up on the order. The kitchen expert had to go into the file and remove it himself. Adjustments were made and the kitchen plan was saved. I went to place my order by calling IKEA. The gal on the phone said my kitchen plan was approved and the order can be made. She placed the order and billed my credit card.

A kitchen expert phoned me a few days later and said the order was incorrect and that the first gal was not a kitchen expert and should not have placed the order. As a result, a second order was placed to correct the items from the first order. As a result, the kitchen items were sent on 2 separate shipments. The delivery guy that came to the house failed to contact my contractor for delivery and called from the house as he arrived. Since he arrived so late in the day, no one was at the house to receive the delivery. He then contacted my contractor who said it would take 20 minutes to drive down to the house but the delivery guy said he would not wait and would delay the shipment until the next day. The next day the delivery guy came and was rude to my contractor.

After putting all of the pieces together, it became clear that some of the cupboards sent are incorrect and there are at least 2 cupboards missing from the order. I placed a call to IKEA and was told that it was clear that the order that was placed by the IKEA kitchen expert did not match what was on the kitchen planner software showing the kitchen design. He put me on hold to speak with someone that would arrange for a swapping of the correct cupboards. I was left on hold for 2 hours! This kitchen mess-up has cost me several hundred dollars already in my wasted time, my contractors wasted time and now is delaying the sale of this house! After 2 hours of being on hold, IKEA ended the call and no one called me back.

I phoned in to IKEA again and this time spoke with a woman that spent her time explaining to me how IKEA is just so busy and now they have shut off the queue and are not receiving any more calls. I tried to explain to her my frustration (after another 25 minutes on hold) and she said sorry and proceeded to tell me that I would have to phone IKEA back sometime tomorrow. At this point, I would have gladly paid a local kitchen cabinet maker more money to do the job properly and on time. I will never recommend to anyone at anytime to contemplate dealing with IKEA kitchen/home planner.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

IKEA is fun to shop at, but there is no real customer service help. You have to haul the furniture yourself and assemble it yourself. That does usually make the furniture prices less expensive, though.

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs