2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.41/5

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for a new piece of furniture?

Shop for your home on Overstock

Visit Website

IKEA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: June 22, 2020

I have 4 pieces of furniture that I ordered in early May from IKEA. I was forced to schedule delivery for June 14th...then rescheduled for the 15th. The delivery company they use is crappy XPO. These items did not come on the delivery dates. I contacted XPO and IKEA for an answer. Then I received emails and calls from XPO about it being delivered today between 12pm-4pm June 20th. The representatives on the phone changed the times of the delivery window to 9am-9pm. Another person said they never got the items from IKEA to the hub. I have contacted IKEA by email multiple times. I have spent 300 dollars and I want my refund! They can't even pick up the phones. It shuts right off after you select info on an existing online purchase. Why can't anybody get in touch with ikea? Why does my tracking keep changing to "out for delivery" to "ordered place" all the time???

How can IKEA take my 300 bucks before they actually get it on a truck for delivery? I still have not received a response to my emails! They are taking people's money and hiding. I don't trust IKEA and I will never buy from them again! The furniture are essential. Clothes still on the floor, no dresser! I am highly upset! Refund Please. You don't even know where my items are!!

Original review: June 13, 2020

After reading all these horrible reviews I was very hesitant to order next day expedited delivery from my local Ikea. I ordered two dressers and got a confirmation, order pending, email right after submitting the order. They give you the option to pick what time and date you desire to have your order delivered. The next day I got a phone call from the delivery company saying they were 30 minutes away and had my order. I asked them to leave it on the porch. They left it right on the porch and arrived exactly 30 minutes after like they stated on the phone. I was so happy they came through for me. Put everything together and it's all perfect, boxes were in perfect condition on delivery. Glad I took a chance and sent in my order considering the line at Ikea is around the building. Try the expedited shipping.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: April 19, 2020

I placed a furniture order on 3/27, with a delivery date of 4/8. That date came and went with no update. Obviously this is a difficult time, but I was frustrated that IKEA was happy to take my money but made no effort to provide any communication once the delivery date had passed. I called customer service and was on hold for about one minute before Kerthia A. picked up. I wasn't expecting someone so friendly on the other end of the call, but she could not have been more helpful or kind. She was very transparent about the likelihood that my order would be delivered, so when I decided to cancel, she processed everything quickly. Even though I'm disappointed I won't get my order, the whole customer service process was surprisingly easy and helpful from start to finish.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Ikea is my first choice when furniture shopping because there are so many choices and because the prices are modest. While I realize many people do not want to purchase furniture that they have to assemble themselves, I do not mind doing that if the price is right. I also like the way that Ikea has all of their products displayed in a way that you can see how the finished product will look when assembled. Some of the items are very good quality, while others are not. I have never tried to return anything to the store so I cannot speak to the return policy.

One complaint that I have is that there are often not enough store employees on the floor to assist with questions. Also, due to the fact that there are so many products available, often times, the employees cannot answer questions about the products. This is why I do a lot of research online before going to the store. I also appreciate that when you go to Ikea to shop for furniture, there are also options to shop for home goods such as dishware and decorative items. And they serve food!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Ikea is a great experience and I really do like that they switch out their products every so often, though there are times when something is discontinued that I would have liked some notice before it went away. However the customer service is a different matter and it has made me reconsider buying from ikea on numerous occasions. The system used to track what is in stock and the store is unreliable and in NYC where it is like planning warfare to plan the logistics of a large pickup from ikea it is disheartening and infuriating. Delivery is another thing. XPO logistics is garbage.

I had the worst experience with ikea delivery in which the delivery company baldly stated that "YOUR truck does not have a driver" when I called them to check on the status of a delivery that was suppose to come that morning. The hemming and hawing and COMPLETE lack of accountability from XPO logistics was a huge turnoff. Ultimately it make me think for the most part ikea may be a fun place to browse and the designs are sometimes great but larger furniture purchases are best left for other retailers that can deliver.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Lot of patience required for Your return request. I have bought a table from IKEA online but surprisingly I got open box delivery & after that day I am continuously contacting to IKEA for this product return but the guys are giving me same reply everyday. So be careful while ordering from the IKEA online. My order number is **.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

We love IKEA products, but IKEA customer care is dismal! We made a relatively large online order three months ago. After waiting a month for the items to ship, 9 of the 68 items never arrived. The shipping company had no idea where the rest of our order was, and told us to contact IKEA. Shortly after the shipping company left, we received an email from IKEA that stated our order was complete and all items had been delivered. Our emails to IKEA went unanswered and hours were spent on hold waiting to talk with customer care.

After finally getting through, the representative tried to blame the shipping company initially, and then offered to ship out 4 of the 9 missing items and to refund the other 5 items (5 of the items were not currently in stock and the refund was to be received in 7-14 business days). When I asked how I could receive the items I had already purchased I was told that I could check back on the website whenever I wanted. This was unacceptable and I was finally escalated to the manager who offered me a 50% shipping credit for a future order (that I could only receive by calling back into IKEA – which is somewhat worthless at this point since it takes 10-15 tries to get through to customer service.) Nobody offered to fix the problem and get us the items we purchased.

After waiting a week for a confirmation email of the next shipment (and a time for when I could expect the replacement delivery), I spent another 2 hours calling and finally getting through to a customer service agent who confirmed the shipment and sent me an email confirming the date of shipment. When this replacement order arrived, two of the four items were again missing in the shipment. After the shipping crew left, we received another false email from IKEA that our order was complete and all items had been delivered.

More emails to IKEA went unanswered and many more hours spent on hold waiting to talk to customer care. When we finally got through again, this representative was less than helpful. This representative reordered the two missing items to have them shipped out. After weeks of waiting for our items to be shipped, we received an email from the shipping company that only one of the two items in our order were in the shipment. After calling IKEA again several times, we finally got through and were given a third refund for the same missing item, but with no solution to ever get us the item.

Over three months we have been promised and paid for many items that were oversold many times, sent several detailed emails, spent numerous hours on hold and on the phone with representatives and managers, and we still don’t have the items that IKEA told us they would ship us three times. We would have expected after the first botched order for a representative to figure out which items were missing and take the responsibility to track down the next supplier shipment and make sure the missing items were delivered to us.

We understand, mistakes happen. Instead, the entire burden to solve this problem has been continually put on us! They only way we can receive the items we originally ordered is to check every day to see if the items are in stock again. However, we have lost faith in IKEA’s ability or integrity to actually ship what we purchase since they continue to oversell their merchandise. Our IKEA customer care experience has been exhausting, ineffective, and uncaring. Empty words and platitudes repeated from customer service training were disingenuous because the representatives and managers lacked the authority and resources to solve any of our problems. To put it simply…customer care never cared.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I ordered furniture 7/7/2020...payment taken at time of order, estimated delivery 9/4/2020. Email evening of 9/3/2020....IKEA cancelled my order. 9/16/2020....still waiting for refund and have an empty living room since I sold my furniture in preparation for new furniture arrival. Was told twice (when I was able to get a real person on the phone) that I would see the refund in my account in 24 hours...did not happen.

Option I previously used to speak to someone in customer service stopped working...would disconnect me. Finally got through by taking option to place an order....was then disconnected multiple times while they tried to transfer me. Finally speak to someone in refunds department....tells me I will only get a partial refund because I paid with a gift card....The gift card I used was for $5.00!!! Please note, I have received my gift card refund of $5.00....still waiting for the remaining $2k+ that was not on the gift card. They lost my business and customer service skills need serious improvement. Don't buy online from IKEA.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Placed an order online Sept. 5. Chose Sept. 11 as delivery date. "Preparing order" was the status when I signed off the site. Sept. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, status still said "preparing order". Took the day off work on the 11th and waited for delivery...nothing. 12th, 13th 14th, status says "preparing order". It's a couple of lamps and 2 light bulbs, how much preparation do you need?? Well, time to cancel this order! So, on to the site I go. They say the phones are too busy, try chat. Ok, I do..."You are number 87 in the queue, approximate wait time is 45 minutes"!!

After about 45 minutes, I get a rep. He takes about 3 to 4 minutes to respond to my questions and then says, "Sorry, I can't help you, I'll transfer you to the after-sales dept."...fine. The message pops up again, "You are number 1 in the queue, approximate wait time, 5 minutes". Ok, I can handle that. Exactly 83 minutes later (I kid you not!), I get another rep. "Please wait while I read your previous conversation"...it was 4 sentences but still takes 15 minutes for him to reply. His reply? "Your order is canceled, here's your reference number." That's it? No explanation, no attempt to reschedule, no apology? Nothing. Says it will take 5 - 7 business days for my refund to be processed.

I work in retail, have for over 40 years. I process online orders every day. If my manager found out I was letting orders sit for over a week then refunding them? Wow. Unemployment, here I come! IKEA, if you're reading this... I understand that the online business is crazier than heck since this Covid thing started but if you're going to offer the service, look after it for Pete's sake! If you are overwhelmed with orders, shut the darn thing down for a few days to get caught up! I'd rather have to wait for the service to come online again than to be jacked around for over a week. Seriously, people??

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I was looking for a bed. Online they have tons of information but NO DIMENSIONS beyond Queen, Twin, etc. No indication of the height of the bed from the floor for instance. There is no chat option, and email is restricted to ONE possible subject, canceling an order. Are they serious? IKEA are a major company and I've purchased from them for 30 years in two continents. They really need to shake things up with the basic information they share with the public. I'm afraid I'm giving up and moving on.

IKEA author review by ConsumerAffairs

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team