3.55/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

IKEA

Looking for a good furniture store?

IKEA Reviews

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I ordered a bed and other stuff for my room. I was nervous about the delivery since read a lot of bad reviews and everything with my delivery was in time and perfect. They told me it would be on August 17 and two days before a received the mail confirmation and then they called me the day before to tell me they would come between 1 and 5pm. I was impressed of the punctuality of the delivery since I received the 30 min call at 12:30pm and they arrived at 1pm. Everything I ordered was in good conditions and there were no missing parts.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I ordered a large purchase before looking at the reviews online. I accidentally put in the wrong address number and read that I would need to have the order cancelled. I tried for three days to get in contact with IKEA online customer support and never could get any help. I waited on the phone for at least 45 minutes and called 13 times. I could never get ahold of anybody until the following Monday when I called as soon as they opened. I talked to the customer service agent who let me know that she could change the address number once the items left the warehouse. I was not able to cancel a few of the items that I did not want anymore. I had also request to cancel the order through email twice and 3 days later both emails had a response from the company saying that I could not cancel because the items had been pulled for delivery. All I could do was hope that my order showed up when it was supposed to, to the correct address... and it did!

I received an email saying that my order would be delivered on the 20th and it was. I was also told that it would come between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., which is an inconvenient window, but I received an automated phone call n the 19th from the delivery company saying that they would be there between 10 and 2. I received another call from the driving 15 minutes prior to delivery letting me know they were on their way. They were at my house at 10:15. You need to be aware that the delivery company is not the same company as IKEA. However, everything was ordered in one go and all parts were there.

Even though I had an unpleasant customer service experience, the order and delivery were exactly as promised. Over 67 boxes showed up on time and undamaged. While I would give five stars for the delivery and delivery company, I can only give 4 because of my attempts at calling and lack of cohesiveness between the customer support team and the delivery company. Just make sure everything is absolutely correct before you order as it is fairly difficult to change once it's been placed.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2019

IKEA is the best place to get things if you like putting it together yourself the fact that they have had reviews of "Falling over dressers" well my opinion is you should of used the strap that comes with it to secure it to the WALL... I have a bedroom set for about 16 yrs and NOT once have I had ANY problems with it tipping over. Of course I also don't have or didn't allow my kids to climb on furniture.

Original review: April 15, 2019

We were hesitant to go with Ikea for our recent couch purchase but the price was much better than others and decided to go for it. At first we attempted to add our custom couch to our online cart but it did not work as some of the pieces were unavailable though it wouldn't tell you which ones which required us to go through every piece to figure it out. We saw many of the pieces allegedly available in our store and went back to try to get whatever pieces we could there and order the rest online. Those pieces were not in store but we were able to talk to a customer service rep who went through every piece and found many were changing product numbers and was able to piece the whole couch together with the old and new product numbers and schedule a delivery for us.

Delivery window assigned the day before for 10-2. We got a call around 12:15 saying the truck was between 5-30 min away, sure enough 10 min later they arrived. Unloaded everything, nothing missing, nothing damaged and they were quite quick with the many boxes. All and all after figuring out the ordering with a very helpful customer service rep, everything was very smooth from the in store order to delivery. Pleasantly surprised with our experience and would certainly recommend our local store/delivery.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I ordered 3 Kallax bookshelves from Ikea.com US. I've never ordered from them online and wanted to try it because I don't have a big enough truck to haul the boxes. I took a screenshot of my online order number in case the email confirmation got lost in my spam. Total shipping was $39. After my purchase I never received a confirmation email of my order. This worried me a bit. I checked back online in the customer service section and was able to look up by my order number in the tracking section. (Thank goodness I had the screenshot for my order number.) It was there which eased my worry a little bit. Still was unsure. Email did finally arrive in my inbox, but was only an notification that it has shipped. No layout of what I purchased, just that it has shipped.

Next day I received another email that it is ready to be delivered. From the asterisk in the email it said, "*12 hour time window: You will receive a phone call the day before the scheduled delivery date with a 4 hour time window." My time in the email was a 12 hour so I assumed I'd get a phone call the day before. That phone call never happened. The day of delivery, I took off work to make sure I was available for the 12 hours. When I looked online, their delivery policy seems very strict about having someone there to sign for the delivery. I didn't want to miss it.

Since I didn't get the phone call, I started looking at IKEA reviews. Oh man did I find so many bad ones. Now I'm getting paranoid about my shipment not arriving, or it comes damaged, or I have to call customer service and deal with that headache. My mind was racing. I thought about calling IKEA just in case to try and get the shipper's info to call them (IKEA uses a 3rd party shipping company) to get an estimate. Since from the email, I should have received a phone call with a 4 hour window the day before delivery. I waiting a couple hours, had lunch and then got a phone call. The driver was 15 mins away and letting me know. What a relief! I was so happy that there was some status to the delivery and I didn't want to be on the phone for hours with IKEA. Delivery arrived on time and nothing was damaged. Very fast and efficient. Signed the paperwork and everything was good. No missing items.

My overall experience using Ikea.com has been great. Was worried at first especially reading previous reviews. I do feel like IKEA should have been better with updates and the order confirmation. Makes it a little unnerving when I can't view my order when I log in and can only track it with the order number. Overall, I'm happy everything worked out in the end. I wanted to share my experience since most of the reviews are bad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Oct 5th I placed an order and the estimated delivery date was Oct 15th. I received an email on October 14th to rate their service. I can’t rate them if I don’t have the product. I called Oct 15th twice. Once in the morning and once late in the day. Discovered my order left their Mississauga warehouse on October 11th. A third party delivery company is used for where I live and I am still waiting to hear from them to schedule a delivery time. Today is October 16th. I cleared my days to accommodate this delivery and I can’t track it and as of yesterday it was still in Toronto. I have spoken to 4 customer service representatives and 3 of the 4 were rude. They did offer me a $20 gift card for my troubles!!! Never again will I order from Ikea. Amazon or Wayfair all the way next time. The apologies are empty and $20 hardly compensates us for our time. My expectations were not well managed.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

We bought a brand new kitchen, everything was fine and good for delivery. They asked us when we wanted it delivered so we asked for the afternoon since we all work and could only be there at 1pm. They arrived at 11h am even though we asked for later and told us they would still come this early because they were around. This for me isn't acceptable. We ask for a time there is a reason. They just got lucky I managed to come early. They also never put the delivery where I showed them where to put it after they ask me but proceeded to put it everywhere around. A real mess.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

An online purchase was made 7-OCT-2019, and with USD 79.99 (plus tax) the delivery was scheduled for 11-OCT-2019. On 10-OCT-2019, an e-mail was received stating delivery will be made on 11-OCT between 3 and 7 PM, via XPO Logistics. Throughout 11-OCT, we had at least 1 adult staying home to receive the shipment. Yet, no one show up on 11-OCT, neither anyone ringing us up until 6:31 PM. At that point, IKEA called us indicating delivery failed because the route is being blocked by police. IKEA person also indicated the driver been trying to contact us *multiple* times but no one picks up. We further received e-mail stating delivery attempt failed.

Here is the truth: 1) no driver contacted us throughout 11-OCT but only the call made by IKEA person at 6:31 PM, 2) no route within 5 miles was closed by police which was verified by Town Police plus my husband was driving home at about 6 PM not noticing any closure of route within home proximity, 3) I was home throughout the day and there was NO delivery attempt made which IKEA's e-mail sounds misleading.

We called IKEA at 6:48 PM same day, wanting to follow-up on the non-existence of road closure as well as e-mailed received. However, After-Sale service of IKEA is NON-existence. We hit the recording message stating they experiencing high call volume and instruct customer to use online portal. We got hung up by IKEA after that; no option for another extension, no voice message could be left. Even with reaching to Sale Inquiry Customer Service (ones who support to place order), we got transferred to same recording 4 times. In frustration, one girl from Sale Inquiry team finally tried to get hold of their After-Sale person first before transferring us. Yet, the After-Sale customer service person was not offering any help but told us the truck was gone and it is our fault not picking up the Delivery guy's call (which again, there was no truck ever here and we did not receive any call from them).

In anger, I cancelled the order but was told Delivery Fee of US 79.99 plus tax cannot be refunded since it is our fault. After another half hours negotiation, IKEA finally agrees to also refund the Delivery Fee. BUT!, we were told there be no e-mail confirmation but just recording on their end. It is 15-OCT-2019 today, we have not receive any credit back towards our credit card, neither any note on our IKEA Online Account stating the order been cancelled. We tried calling IKEA service line again, we reached same recording that the line is experiencing high call volume. And yes, we got hung up by the IKEA service line again.

On 11-OCT-2019, upon the call with IKEA we also e-mailed them to follow-up. Per their website, inquiries will be replied within 48 hours. It has been 84 hours since our e-mail, and nothing came back from IKEA still. Overall, the IKEA delivery and customer service experiences are HORRIBLE. We will NOT consider to use their delivery service in the future. We also DO NOT RECOMMEND using IKEA delivery service. We later made a purchase in-store that weekend on 12-OCT, and hired a small van for delivery instead.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I bought 500 USD worth of furniture in Japan. Eight months later, I had to return to the US and sent back all furniture new, unused, with the packaging not even opened. IKEA Japan has a 365-day return policy and I have several emails acknowledging I was owed a full refund. And then, because of an error on their end, they could not process a refund to my American credit card! I didn't understand - it was a MasterCard that can be used internationally. It was the same MasterCard they had no trouble charging 500 USD in the first place. For four months I've been arguing back and forth with IKEA. They will only mail a check to a Japanese address; I asked them multiple times to contact IKEA US for me, so that my American CC could be refunded. They refused. I reached out to IKEA US for help - they also refused. This is a total scam.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I purchased two IKEA twin mattresses for my set of IKEA pull out beds on September 7, 2017 when we arrived in California. One was about 4" high and the other about 5" high designed specifically to go on those pull-out twin beds; they have compressed in the center by two inches each making them virtually unusable after only two years.

Has anyone else had this experience with their mattresses? They are foam with dimples covered in a stiff zip on polyester cover. I use them 95% of the time one on top of the other and only occasionally separate them onto the pull-out and main bed when my grandchildren are sleeping over. I remember paying about $325 or so for them, but have put away the purchase documents in my garage file and haven't pulled it out so don't remember the details.

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs