2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5
Based on 1,588 ratings submitted in the last year

IKEA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I love Ikea designs. I don't like that much that you have to put together the furniture. If you are going to sell me half of the job done ✅ you should charge me half of the price. And the delivery is on me too? What are these people doing? They have all profits no costs? Really? How we arrive to this place? I think everything is overpriced if you consider you are putting the furniture together. They only sell you the plans and the raw material. They don't even cover the cost of the delivery. And the furniture is not such a good quality to justify the price but yes I love the design. Another bad point for this chain at least where I've been that was somewhere in S.F Valley in L.A. inside a mall. It took us forever the line to pay. There was too many people not enough cashiers.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

Most of our furniture is from Ikea and I assembled it also. I am a small lady and I felt great being able to assemble it myself! I love the different smooth finishes of the wood furniture, and the clean lines. They do not go out of style. I gave the rating a 4 star because I have not seen sofas that I like a lot. Our sofas are from another source. I also love that you can find so many uniquely good looking & practical small items for your home while you may be looking for furniture. They have it all: lighting, rugs, pictures, frames, pots (love them) & pans, etc. I particularly love the children's department. It's filled with very cute furniture & wonderful unique toys at a low price.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I have 4 pieces of furniture that I ordered in early May from IKEA. I was forced to schedule delivery for June 14th...then rescheduled for the 15th. The delivery company they use is crappy XPO. These items did not come on the delivery dates. I contacted XPO and IKEA for an answer. Then I received emails and calls from XPO about it being delivered today between 12pm-4pm June 20th. The representatives on the phone changed the times of the delivery window to 9am-9pm. Another person said they never got the items from IKEA to the hub. I have contacted IKEA by email multiple times. I have spent 300 dollars and I want my refund! They can't even pick up the phones. It shuts right off after you select info on an existing online purchase. Why can't anybody get in touch with ikea? Why does my tracking keep changing to "out for delivery" to "ordered place" all the time???

How can IKEA take my 300 bucks before they actually get it on a truck for delivery? I still have not received a response to my emails! They are taking people's money and hiding. I don't trust IKEA and I will never buy from them again! The furniture are essential. Clothes still on the floor, no dresser! I am highly upset! Refund Please. You don't even know where my items are!!

Original review: June 13, 2020

After reading all these horrible reviews I was very hesitant to order next day expedited delivery from my local Ikea. I ordered two dressers and got a confirmation, order pending, email right after submitting the order. They give you the option to pick what time and date you desire to have your order delivered. The next day I got a phone call from the delivery company saying they were 30 minutes away and had my order. I asked them to leave it on the porch. They left it right on the porch and arrived exactly 30 minutes after like they stated on the phone. I was so happy they came through for me. Put everything together and it's all perfect, boxes were in perfect condition on delivery. Glad I took a chance and sent in my order considering the line at Ikea is around the building. Try the expedited shipping.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I placed a furniture order on 3/27, with a delivery date of 4/8. That date came and went with no update. Obviously this is a difficult time, but I was frustrated that IKEA was happy to take my money but made no effort to provide any communication once the delivery date had passed. I called customer service and was on hold for about one minute before Kerthia A. picked up. I wasn't expecting someone so friendly on the other end of the call, but she could not have been more helpful or kind. She was very transparent about the likelihood that my order would be delivered, so when I decided to cancel, she processed everything quickly. Even though I'm disappointed I won't get my order, the whole customer service process was surprisingly easy and helpful from start to finish.

Original review: March 2, 2021

We purchased the Fabrikor metal and glass display cabinet in February 2021. We purchased it online and paid for shipping. It arrived and we put it together. The doors to not align. As others have mentioned, I went through the web of customer service on 2/21/21 and was told by a young man to destroy the cabinet, they could not take it back because of COVID, and he had ordered me a replacement that would arrive in 3-5 days and he would email me the order number. I kept checking my email, awaiting the replacement order number, which never arrived. I called Customer Service again on 2/23 and there was no record of this conversation on my original order number. The young woman I spoke with ordered me a replacement, provided me with an order number and told me that the replacement would arrive on 3/1.

On Saturday 2/27 I received two calls from the logistics company confirming my delivery for Monday. On Monday 3/1 I received a phone call letting me know that my delivery would occur in 30 minutes. It never arrived. I called Ikea that evening to inquire where the product was, initially I was greeted by a young man who left me on hold for about 30 minutes. Then I was greeted by a young woman who told me that the piece was on backorder and that it was never intended to arrive today. They told me that my only option now was to receive a refund. They cancelled my replacement order and said they are issuing me a refund. Stay away from Ikea. It's not worth it.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Having recently arrived as an international scholar in Chicago, I was in need of new furniture. But the hope that ordering from IKEA would be a fast and cheap solution turned out to be the completely misguided. What I experienced/am experiencing is the antithesis of fast and cheap. It is not fast ---- Currently I am awaiting the 5th attempt to deliver my order. What happened in 4 previous ones? Two things. First. After delaying the hour of delivery on the day of delivery, the delivery company would fail to show up. Without giving you a call, they will later on simply lie that nobody was present. Know that there is a custodian present 24/7 in the apartment complex who sees and receives everyone in front of the building. Second. The delivery succeeded but with a few single items of the almost 50 item order were being handed over.

Don't try to contact the delivery service yourself since you'll be put on a seemingly infinite time hold. I have never been able to reach them. The IKEA customer service is reachable but a complete disaster. Every time you contact them be prepared to spend more than 3 hours of waiting, being reconnected and thrown out of the system (after which you'll have to start all over).

It is not cheap ---- Four times I had to take time off work to be able to receive my order. Take that plus the hours of dealing with a Kafkaesque customer service. Then there is the fact that because of their incompetence to live up to the agreed delivery date I was forced for a month to sleep on a mat in my apartment improvising how to get through the day. Ordering at IKEA came with a much greater cost than the price of their goods.

Conclusion ----- I believe that what I'm experiencing is a cover-up on the side of IKEA. They are short in stock because of issues concerning the COVID-19 pandemic but are dishonest about it to the customers. Of course that still doesn't explain the delivery services and their utterly utterly deranged behavior. Maybe they are playing along or just never received any items.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

My wife purchased a product in early February. Twice I took a day off work because IKEA loves give super small 12 hour delivery window. Twice the product did not show nor did they ever call to set this straight.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

We began our Ikea kitchen design last October and it is now mid February. After purchasing the parts needed to build our kitchen, we have been met with a series of errors and crappy compromises. First off, we have an average sized kitchen and ordered basic cabinets and they still never got the order straight. We paid $79 for an official measurement and that measurement was incorrect. The excuse was new staff.... After 3 deliveries of random goods, delivered to the sidewalk in front of our house, we also had to go buy more parts and return wrong parts 9 times within a month and a half. All during a Global pandemic and no phone payments or orders taken. We had to travel south 40 minutes each time, go into the corn maze and pay and then drive 5 more miles east to their warehouse for pick up.

Our final plan shows the upper cabinets going to the ceiling but when they were building it out we were told that was not an option/not part of the plan? We used Traemand because supposedly they know how to build Ikea designs but they proved to be a huge disappointment and were a integral part of the confusion with all the conflicting parts we ended up with.

The final straw was that they built one whole side of our kitchen incorrectly. We could not open our fridge because the wall oven and microwave area was too close to the fridge door. Keep in mind we gave the Ikea designers and Traemand all appliance cut out dimensions in the design and build phase. The only resolution Ikea had was to have Traemand move our cabinets on that wall 2 inches to the right. This required that our countertop on that side be removed. American Marble works in conjunction with Ikea kitchens so we used them. Ikea would not agree to anything unless we came into the store once again and pay an additional $1300 dollars for a new countertop, in the event they could not use the original one. What could we do? We were stuck with appliances that could not be installed! We paid thinking they could reuse the piece since it was a simple cut that only needed to be shortened 2 inches on one side.

Traemand came back out and all fits somewhat but the appliances still look crowded on that side so not aesthetically pleasing. While waiting for American Marble to reinstall, they took forever to get back to us, insisted on a $225 measure appointment for that minor adjustment that could have been done on site. When I finally called and asked what the delay was they said the countertop for that side needed to be remade and it would be another 2 weeks. At this point I lost it. I questioned why they needed to replace that piece and they said they didn't know (I'm just a scheduler). I guess it's easy to just press that button and buy when the expense is on another person.

After sending a nasty email to the trio (Ikea, Traemand and America Marble), I was told by American Marble that they could actually reuse that countertop piece after all. Still 2 weeks to wait for a half hour install. I still haven't gotten a response from Ikea. Also, the Traemand carpenters had to Jerry rig an area on that messed up side so when Best Buy came to install the wall oven and microwave with trim kit, no go. It doesn't fit. Traemand excuse was we didn't use Ikea appliances. Funny appliances are all standard sizes and we weren't told any of that when we gave them the cut out dimensions over 3 months ago.

We since hired a Task Rabbit to come and resolve their screw up. I can't wait to have to go back into Ikea and try to get a refund for that additional countertop we paid for, The moral of this long story is you get what you pay for! I chose Ikea because I love the modern look and the price seemed good. In the end, it would have been better to see out a more professional, quality cabinet designer and builder. God knows what I will be paying for therapy and blood pressure medication in the future!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Would not purchase this again, has coil tops that fit unevenly, resulting in one half of the pots/pans getting more heat; it is very difficult to cook properly. came in the house I purchased. It is fine and gets the job done, however I wouldn't recommend others to purchase.

IKEA author review by ConsumerAffairs

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team