3.57/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

IKEA

Looking for a good furniture store?

1510 IKEA Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I ordered a large purchase before looking at the reviews online. I accidentally put in the wrong address number and read that I would need to have the order cancelled. I tried for three days to get in contact with IKEA online customer support and never could get any help. I waited on the phone for at least 45 minutes and called 13 times. I could never get ahold of anybody until the following Monday when I called as soon as they opened. I talked to the customer service agent who let me know that she could change the address number once the items left the warehouse. I was not able to cancel a few of the items that I did not want anymore. I had also request to cancel the order through email twice and 3 days later both emails had a response from the company saying that I could not cancel because the items had been pulled for delivery. All I could do was hope that my order showed up when it was supposed to, to the correct address... and it did!

I received an email saying that my order would be delivered on the 20th and it was. I was also told that it would come between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., which is an inconvenient window, but I received an automated phone call n the 19th from the delivery company saying that they would be there between 10 and 2. I received another call from the driving 15 minutes prior to delivery letting me know they were on their way. They were at my house at 10:15. You need to be aware that the delivery company is not the same company as IKEA. However, everything was ordered in one go and all parts were there.

Even though I had an unpleasant customer service experience, the order and delivery were exactly as promised. Over 67 boxes showed up on time and undamaged. While I would give five stars for the delivery and delivery company, I can only give 4 because of my attempts at calling and lack of cohesiveness between the customer support team and the delivery company. Just make sure everything is absolutely correct before you order as it is fairly difficult to change once it's been placed.

Original review: April 15, 2019

We were hesitant to go with Ikea for our recent couch purchase but the price was much better than others and decided to go for it. At first we attempted to add our custom couch to our online cart but it did not work as some of the pieces were unavailable though it wouldn't tell you which ones which required us to go through every piece to figure it out. We saw many of the pieces allegedly available in our store and went back to try to get whatever pieces we could there and order the rest online. Those pieces were not in store but we were able to talk to a customer service rep who went through every piece and found many were changing product numbers and was able to piece the whole couch together with the old and new product numbers and schedule a delivery for us.

Delivery window assigned the day before for 10-2. We got a call around 12:15 saying the truck was between 5-30 min away, sure enough 10 min later they arrived. Unloaded everything, nothing missing, nothing damaged and they were quite quick with the many boxes. All and all after figuring out the ordering with a very helpful customer service rep, everything was very smooth from the in store order to delivery. Pleasantly surprised with our experience and would certainly recommend our local store/delivery.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I ordered 3 Kallax bookshelves from Ikea.com US. I've never ordered from them online and wanted to try it because I don't have a big enough truck to haul the boxes. I took a screenshot of my online order number in case the email confirmation got lost in my spam. Total shipping was $39. After my purchase I never received a confirmation email of my order. This worried me a bit. I checked back online in the customer service section and was able to look up by my order number in the tracking section. (Thank goodness I had the screenshot for my order number.) It was there which eased my worry a little bit. Still was unsure. Email did finally arrive in my inbox, but was only an notification that it has shipped. No layout of what I purchased, just that it has shipped.

Next day I received another email that it is ready to be delivered. From the asterisk in the email it said, "*12 hour time window: You will receive a phone call the day before the scheduled delivery date with a 4 hour time window." My time in the email was a 12 hour so I assumed I'd get a phone call the day before. That phone call never happened. The day of delivery, I took off work to make sure I was available for the 12 hours. When I looked online, their delivery policy seems very strict about having someone there to sign for the delivery. I didn't want to miss it.

Since I didn't get the phone call, I started looking at IKEA reviews. Oh man did I find so many bad ones. Now I'm getting paranoid about my shipment not arriving, or it comes damaged, or I have to call customer service and deal with that headache. My mind was racing. I thought about calling IKEA just in case to try and get the shipper's info to call them (IKEA uses a 3rd party shipping company) to get an estimate. Since from the email, I should have received a phone call with a 4 hour window the day before delivery. I waiting a couple hours, had lunch and then got a phone call. The driver was 15 mins away and letting me know. What a relief! I was so happy that there was some status to the delivery and I didn't want to be on the phone for hours with IKEA. Delivery arrived on time and nothing was damaged. Very fast and efficient. Signed the paperwork and everything was good. No missing items.

My overall experience using Ikea.com has been great. Was worried at first especially reading previous reviews. I do feel like IKEA should have been better with updates and the order confirmation. Makes it a little unnerving when I can't view my order when I log in and can only track it with the order number. Overall, I'm happy everything worked out in the end. I wanted to share my experience since most of the reviews are bad.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I recently (8/12) ordered a lot of furniture from IKEA online, including glass Oxberg doors, sectional sofa, dressers, etc. It was a huge order. Actually, their website wasn’t working correctly, and I ended up having to make three separate orders (and pay 3 separate delivery charges), but I got everything ordered and chose September 2 as my delivery date since I was moving the day before. I got the emails saying thanks for my orders, and didn’t hear much after that, but then, I got an email on 8/30 saying my stuff had shipped to the trucking company. I thought, "Okay, no way I’m going to get this in time." So I looked online to read about IKEA's delivery service.

I found thousands of reviews where peoples' stuff never showed up, was damaged etc. I thought, "Oh hell no," so I actually tried to call and cancel my orders so I could just go to the store and buy them, and of course IKEA said no and could not tell me when my stuff might arrive. I panicked, but there was nothing I could do at this point, so I gave up and thought, "Well, if my stuff doesn’t appear I'll eventually dispute it with my credit card." 8/31 I get an email from IKEA saying my orders are ready to be delivered. I am still skeptical. I am given a delivery window of 9A-1P September 2, the day I actually chose during checkout, I think, "Yeah right."

I get a call from XPO Logistics saying they're 5-10 minutes away around 9:30A on September 2, even then, I think, "Half my order is probably missing or broken or not even on the truck at all." Not so! Like Jesus himself came down from heaven and said, "Let this not be a hassle," XPO Logistics delivered ALL THREE ORDERS, eight pieces of furniture, not broken, not missing pieces, on the day I chose during checkout, during the delivery window I was given, and earlier rather than later during that window. It was truly an IKEA miracle. I will still never order online again because it was terrifying, but I will definitely still shop in the store and am very thankful that I somehow had such a great experience!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

The website: everything but user-friendly, since you're able to report any issues regarding the web-shop, that's what I did via an email, but nobody answered back. I didn't even get a confirmation email. Why bother then? I used to really like IKEA's furniture and brand image, but this purchase showed me and my husband the opposite. After reading the reviews, I consider myself lucky for receiving all the items ordered, I was 100% sure I'll need to chase the ghost of IKEA customer service because of missing items or other issues. We got an automated call regarding the delivery date. The transportation company called my husband in time, fortunately, and delivered quickly the goods inside the apartment, on the 2nd floor. They were kind and friendly.

To IKEA: Website: poorly done, I am sure Swedish programmers are capable of doing a better job, they just need to be hired. Please, more follow-up emails to your customers, otherwise you lose their trust; paying thousands of dollars in advance and not getting any reply back about the payment is immensely discouraging; I was super close to withdraw the payment - BUT what do you care, right? Until you have customers, you won't change a single thing about these issues everyone's complaining about... I wasn't able to open up the boxes yet, because they're too heavy, but I am hoping everything is in good condition.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I ordered a bed and other stuff for my room. I was nervous about the delivery since read a lot of bad reviews and everything with my delivery was in time and perfect. They told me it would be on August 17 and two days before a received the mail confirmation and then they called me the day before to tell me they would come between 1 and 5pm. I was impressed of the punctuality of the delivery since I received the 30 min call at 12:30pm and they arrived at 1pm. Everything I ordered was in good conditions and there were no missing parts.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Ordered 3 items from IKEA and after 2 weeks of waiting for delivery, they delivered on Saturday, but the couch was missing. I am unable to get in contact with them - the online form does not work (it won't send), the phone line does not work (just get an automated message saying we are experiencing high call volumes and cannot take your call and it hangs up), so now I have no couch, and IKEA have charged me over 1,000$ for it. This has been causing me so much stress the last 3 days. They may be cheap, but now I'm over 1,000$ out of pocket and can't contact them, so it's not worth shopping with them.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Never buy anything online from this place. I order a few things for my daughter bedroom and the wardrobe was missing a piece. I did call and after 2 days of trying I was able to talk to someone. They never send the piece so now I want to returned. For 3 days I was on the phone for hours without any luck. Finally I was able to talk to someone. She gave me a case # to call to another department and pay the fee for pickup $40 plus tax. Now I have to wait for 2 or 3 days that pick up company call me to get the thing. Hopefully before the end of this month. I'm exhausted just telling the story. Awful service. No consideration for customers. Thank God for Amazon!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I have never ordered anything online to be delivered from Ikea, we had always shopped in the store. My house is full of Ikea from dishes to my kids furniture, since we don’t have an Ikea in our current area. I will say this was the first and the last time I will order online for delivery. We had ordered an Alex drawer unit for my daughter to go with her desk. We had previously purchased at IKEA (in store). But when the drawer unit arrived via FEDEX, I couldn’t believe the driver even left it on my porch. I kind of wished I didn’t wait until he drove off to retrieve it.

First of all it wasn’t even in an Ikea Box or an ikea box inside another box...It didn’t even look box shaped. Since the package was so badly damaged with tears I can see inside where it was opened from being crushed and tape was separated. I looked in and saw the drawer unit pieces just thrown without padding or anything to keep it secure like when you purchase the item in store. It literally looked like that the unit was taken out of the original packaging and thrown in every which way in the makeshift box thing. So shocked that it was like that and since I can see in I can see it was damaged, I didn’t even need to fully open the thing.

I immediately took pictures and called customer service and received the “high volume of calls cant take you call”. Something along those lines. Finally reached someone and she was very kind and said she couldn’t believe that this has happened. I asked her is it the procedure to take it out of the original Ikea Box and she said it was not. I sent her pictures so she can attach it to my order. I just hoped it will help it not happen to other customers. She also said she will ship a new one and she said it will be a wk 1/2. I wasn’t angry at all, I was thankful we will receive a new one.

But then it came to the delivery date for the replacement and nothing was delivered. Gave it a couple more days and then looked up the delivery history on the FedEx and showed it was out for delivery the estimated delivery date but then never left the truck because in the notes it showed it was too damaged to deliver. It also said it was shipped back to shipper. I wasn’t aware of any of this because on the Ikea customer against it showed delivered. But it was somewhere in California and I’m in Idaho. I had her look it up and she saw the history but had to send me to a different department then. Got the "high volume of calls" thing again and "can’t take your call". So now I’m angry and frustrated. I have tried for the past 3 hrs to get through.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Will not order online from IKEA again. I ordered a sofa online along with the cover for it. The cover was not delivered with the sofa. So, I went to the customer service website and found the number to call. I have been trying for a week and have called at least 10 times to try and get someone but every time I get that "they are expecting a higher than normal volume of calls and cannot take your call right now." I have also tried to fill out the email form that is the alternative option and it has not worked. So, a week later and I need this sofa cover and the problem still has not been fixed. Beyond ridiculous.

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Wide selection of designs that are both accessible and affordable. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use their furniture in your home.

• Financing: Eligible customers can earn rewards on purchases or qualify for low promotional rates.

• Assembly: Products are designed to be easily assembled. Professional assembly services are available for a fee.

• Delivery: Flat rates for shipping and in-store delivery starting at $9.

• Returns: Purchases can be returned within 1 year.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs