1.14/5
Based on 244 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

Last updated: May 22, 2018

1109 IKEA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

Horrible experience with no resolution still! My husband and I ordered a $500 set of dressers and nightstands for our new house. We placed the order on May 7th and received a confirmation email which stated we would be contacted prior to the delivery. After nearly two weeks came and went with no update from the company, we started to get concerned.

After moving in, we had realized that the items we ordered were going to be too large for our room. I hopped on the phone to inquire about the status of the delivery and to see if it was possible to just cancel. I was not very happy after being told that there was a 110 minute wait... Yes... A ONE HUNDRED AND TEN MINUTE LONG WAIT to speak with a customer service representative. I thought it was a joke but quickly realized, they weren't kidding.

After checking the online tracker on May 20th, we realized the items were out for delivery so we took a sigh of relief and purchased new dressers, with the intent of receiving and returning the IKEA furniture. Around 6pm that evening, I received a call from an unknown cell phone number. It was the IKEA delivery driver calling to let me know that his truck broken down but he actually lived around the corner and would be willing to bring the merchandise by after getting his new work truck within the hour. He also said that another driver could pick it up and deliver it at a later date.

I mentioned that we were planning to return the items and asked about our options. The driver stated that he would have dispatch call me in about 5 minutes. Eager to get our money back, we asked him to still deliver the items as soon as possible. We never received a call from the dispatcher and the driver never showed up with our furniture. When I called the number back, the driver did not answer and two days later, will still not return my calls.

My husband and I are FURIOUS that we are out $500 as new homeowners and still don't even have the furniture we purchased!! We can't get any assistance from customer service over the phone because of absolutely ridiculous wait times and when we visit the local store, nobody seems to know what's going on and can't help us. We just want our money back or our merchandise so that we can take it to the store and return it ourselves!

Please, please, please DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY!! There are hundreds and hundreds of reviews on here from people just like me that can't get their money back or their merchandise. Just shop elsewhere and spare yourself the time and an unnecessary headache. If we don't get some sort of response from IKEA in the next few days as to what exactly is going on with our order, the matter will be escalated. Unlike some of the other reviewers on here, we will not sit idly by for months, hoping and waiting to get our money back. It took IKEA 5 minutes to take that money out, we're not waiting months to see it refunded. We fully intend to hire an attorney, should the issue continue to persist.

Original review: May 21, 2018

If I only knew what journey I'll have with this business... I would have NEVER EVER EVER ordered from them. I would rather sleep on an air mattress my entire life than spend $2300 and having to constantly call them to get a refund. Based on 500 reviews that I found online, it does not happen often to get your stuff. They mess up your order and you will never get your money back. My order was missing 2 items (one of it being my bed which I waited 2 weeks to be delivered) and another 3 items were either wrong color or wrong stuff all together. One month later, no refund. Apparently it takes like 6 months or more. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Very negative. Went to the store and tried out a bunch of items (e.g. mattress, chairs, sofas, and other household items). By the end of trip to the store I decided that there was just too many items we wanted to fit into my small SUV. So I decided to order the items online and have them delivered. After ordering I was told the items would be delivered next Saturday, a day I normally work, however I decided to take the day off to be able to receive the items. The night before the delivery, I get a call, the representative told me the items did not arrive and if I wanted the items I was "go to the store myself and pick them up." So why did I pay for a shipping fee if Ikea does not ship?

So I cancelled the order after being on hold with Ikea for 71, that is 1 hour 11 minutes. They gave me the cancellation number, but the charge has not been taken off my credit card, AND the delivery representative has phoned me twice to ask what day I want the shipment. I keep telling the people I was told to go to the store to get the items, and that I cancelled the order. Still waiting for my refund.

Original review: May 15, 2018

We had and are still having an awful experience with IKEA. Firstly, the delivery that was supposed to take 5-7 days wasn't actually scheduled for three weeks after I made the order. When it came down to the delivery date a half an hour after our order was supposed to be delivered we got an email that said they were unable to deliver the products. We called to find out what was going on and the person on the phone said the delivery company had lost our order completely. My husband was on the phone with IKEA for over 3 hours (two of which were spent on hold). They told him they would put a rush on expediting our order but that it would take 2 weeks to get our money refunded and of course another two weeks to actually get our order. We needed the money we used on the purchase to repurchase the lost items.

Turns out, our order was shipped two hours away to the coast. We got a call from the person who received it, he had to send it back because they had completely lost his order (or it was sent somewhere else, who knows at this point - NOT IKEA THAT'S FOR SURE). I have been waiting for an email from them for a few days, haven't gotten anything, no correspondence from IKEA at all. My husband called again today, spent the better part of an hour on hold just to find out that our return would need to be "approved" by a manager... We don't have our order, it never showed up here, so someone needs to approve this because I want my $300 back and I am not waiting months for it.

So we have been asked to wait some more for the approval to go through, that could take up to 24 hours and then it will take 3-5 business days to get the money refunded. If I were to give any advice on this, DON'T ORDER FROM IKEA ONLINE. It's been a waste of time and money so far, I am unsure if we will even get our money back at this point, so like others here, we have officially been robbed by IKEA.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Purchased a crib from Ikea in Pittsburg for our daughter's first child, at the time of purchase they recommended their mattress and it was purchased with the crib. This purchase was made last June to set up nursery. Baby was born in Sept of 2017, and she did not use the crib until she was 3 months old. The mattress did not even last 3 months from being used. Calls to IKEA brought nothing but frustration, the warranty the crib not the mattress. So we had to buy another mattress that has a thirty year warranty, not sure who keeps a crib mattress for thirty years, but a mattress should last more than 3 months and Ikea should stand behind the products they sell. I will continue to tell everyone NOT to buy baby furniture from them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: May 15, 2018

My online purchase after releasing to get processed with delivery had changes is design changes days after. To make things easier, the entire order was cancelled and purchased in store instead. I was aware of cancellation procedure but what I didn't know was the burden in trying to cancel. After making several attempts at cancelling I was assured that once distribution center releases order to 3rd party delivery, my order would be cancelled. That never took place.

All I a saw was my order continue to move forward and after I was assured by customer call center, my order was fully cancelled, I received a email confirmation my cancelled order was delivered and signed at my home address and delivered complete when nobody was home. I've gotten nowhere with customer service and now I need to police my own cancelled purchased shown as delivered in hopes of getting my refund 100%. My wait time averages anywhere from 45 minutes to well over 120 minutes on hold before anyone answers to be only placed on hold or transferred to a department that is closed and disconnected.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I purchased a sectional in the store and needed to have it delivered. We waited the 3 weeks until a delivery was scheduled for our area and when the delivery persons brought the boxes to the door I asked how many I would be receiving. They said four but only gave me three. When I asked about the fourth, they said that three was all they had. I got the sectional put together and, yes, I was shorted one box. The cover for the sectional that is listed on my receipt. When I looked online it claims my order was fully delivered?? I have 48 hours to contact them to let IKEA know that my order was missing an item. It may take that long to get ahold of a customer service representative!! The wait time is 73 minutes. Yes...you read that correctly 1 hour and 13 minutes. Give me a break!

Original review: May 11, 2018

We spent THOUSANDS at IKEA, and were talked into having it be delivered. The deliveries were NEVER made. I took off two days from work, I work for myself, and this is money down the drain. The first day they didn't call, or ring the buzzer, they simply never showed up. We called Ikea. I spend at least one hour on hold every time to speak to someone at IKEA. They said that after they put in their request to the delivery company, they denied the request, and then NO ONE told us!! We rested to today, we were told they'd be here between 1-5 pm, I have not showered, or stepped foot outside my apartment, or gone to the bathroom without leaving the door open! We have gone thru GREAT lengths to make sure we did not miss this delivery.

I set up a makeshift office in front of my buzzer, which happens to be next to two giant windows that overlook the street, so I wouldn't miss the call, buzzer or truck. THEY NEVER CAME. The delivery company is a JOKE. They are rude and lazy. NO ONE rang our buzzer, NO ONE called us, they made zero efforts to contact us. IKEA called us to say that the delivery company reported, we didnt pick up/answer and they left!!! We called and spoke to two managers at IKEA and they basically said that they can't do anything, and that the delivery service delivers if and when they can!!! They refunded our delivery fee (big deal $30) and said that the next they can deliver is Mother's Day. We have a grandparent that is VERY ill, a mother that's made very extravagant plans, and an aunt's birthday we will now have to miss to sit around for the delivery company for the THIRD TIME!!!

I cannot believe that IKEA is at the mercy to the delivery company and it's whatever they want to do. AWFUL service. We paid thousands, and now can't get our stuff...we basically just got robbed by IKEA and their delivery company! My boyfriend even went so far as to offer to meet the truck at the next drop off (as the delivery company told us the driver was not only on the same side of town, but within 5 blocks of our address!). IKEA said that this is a lie, and that they cannot call the company and demand that they deliver to us today, or that they tell us where their truck is to go pick it up. We were told that "It is what it is". ** awesome.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Ikea supposedly offers a warranty of FIVE years on its electrical appliances. What a joke!! We bought a microwave eight months ago at Ikea in Montreal. All of a sudden it stopped working. We called the number in the microwave booklet for the warranty. The technician came two days later, checked and said he needed a part which would arrive in three or four day. It has been over a month now. Not a single call came from them. I have contacted the warranty company Whirlpool, located in the United States, seven times so far (not to mention that each call is a twenty minute wait). Each time they politely answered that they are sorry for the inconvenience, that they would look into the matter and get back to me at the most in 24 hours. Not once did they ever call back.

I have called the customer service department at IKEA twice so far, (each one with a waiting period). Again, very politely they say they would look into the matter with absolutely no result. I even proposed to Ikea to return the microwave which has not been functioning for over a month now. This, despite the inconvenience of dismantling a microwave connected to a hood and installed by an electrician. Nonetheless, they wouldn’t accept it. They simply said there is nothing they can do and that I should simply wait for Whirlpool. Is this the warranty which Ikea offers? I am extremely disappointed and would definitely not recommend buying any electrical appliances at IKEA with a warranty which they do NOT back up.

Original review: May 10, 2018

We ordered some furniture from Ikea in early March 2018. We used, partially, an eCard (gift card) amounting to $1,000 to pay for some of the merchandise. We were forced to cancel the order due to the fact the sleeper sofa was too large. We have now been waiting over two months for Ikea to refund and replace the gift card for $1,000. We have spent hours on the phone waiting for them to answer; we have written emails to no avail (they never answer them, never).

When we got somebody on the phone after a wait time of a minimum of thirty minutes and sometimes as long as fifty minutes, we were told at first that a company the size of Ikea had to wait first to get physical paper cards, which were on order, and then they would send the physical paper gift card to us in two weeks - that was a month ago that they said this; they always said it was being taken care of, for instance, in the following ways: it was being "expedited" and would be sent within five to seven days, it was being taken care of by speaking to the department in charge, who would make sure the card was issued.

Anyway, this song and dance has been going on for two solid months with no result. They lie to you on the phone. When I asked to speak to the manager, I get a "manager" who promises me it will be taken care of and she would email me, send me a message or call me within 24 hours to confirm that it was being taken care of. Absolutely nothing happens, and they have kept the $1,000 for two months. It is useless to call them, to wait on the line for an hour or more, only to be lied to by them. How can a major company like Ikea behave this way? The absolutely worst customer experience I have ever had.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I returned some items on 2-18-18 at the Renton, WA store for a total of $404.80. I was told that I would have a check in the mail within 4 to 6 weeks because I was unable to get a refund that day since I no longer had the card I had purchased the items originally. We waited the 6 weeks and then began calling to ask. We have been on hold for over 6 hours total for all calls (including right now that I am writing this review). We keep getting the same story from the friendly yet unhelpful staff. They blame it on the store and tell us to keep waiting to see if we get a check in the mail. I like shopping at IKEA, but really think twice before purchasing products there for the next houses we have in the pipeline to build. Please help!!!!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I purchased a couch on ikea.com back on 04/04/2018. The order amount was $449.35. Couch was to be delivered on 04/16/18, but on 04/14/18 I had a change of mind and cancelled the order. They said no problem and that I would receive a full refund in 5-7. 5-7 goes by and still no refund. I call, get another very friendly, but lying customer service agent who states that the last agent placed the refund incorrectly in the system, and that it would take an additional 7-10. 7-10 has come by, I call back and an agent tells me 3-5 days based on my financial institution.

I have been lied to, and robbed from this company. I have trust issues with buying online, but who would think that a well known company would do this. This should be illegal. So I am a month and 1 week past the purchase. Never got the couch, never got my money back either. I have email, with no response. My next step is an attorney. I just want my money back, and it should not take over a month to achieve that. I have read other stories online about IKEA refund issues, not this here is flat out illegal. Delivery status still shows “out for delivery” back from 04/14/2018. I never received a cancellation email or anything. This is fraud and robbery.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Please do yourself a favor and never order online with IKEA. What a joke. So I ordered five small things from their website two weeks ago and I'm just now had four things delivered to my doorway past the expected delivery date. I had to call several times to check up on it. And you have to wait on hold forever to get a hold of a customer service person and every single customer person that I spoke to was so unbelievably rude. I don't even know how they still have a job. Then I finally do get my packages and the most expensive thing I ordered was missing. So I called and The incredibly rude lady on the phone tells me that it's going to be another two weeks before they can even send it out again!!! Please do yourself a favor and never order from this crappy crappy company.

Original review: May 6, 2018

If I could give a zero I would. I thought I could do business with this company online since I’ve never had an issue at their stores. I wanted to cancel an order just about 2 hours after making the order online. So I emailed them after being on the phone on hold for an hour. But it says it will not get back to you for 5 days. Well I then called being placed on hold for hours every time. I still have never got an answer. My order says it will be processed soon. But I have passed the date it was supposed to be delivered. Still no answer. Their customers service is non existent. I cannot believe they are allowed to treat customers like this. I’ve literally spent hours and hours with no help. I also tried to get a response on their Facebook page and they were responding but when I asked them why my order was never delivered they just stopped responding and are ignoring my messages now. If they weren’t so well known I would think this is a scam!

Original review: May 4, 2018

I placed an order on 3/29 which was to be delivered on 4/4 and never came. I canceled the order and was told it would take 14 days for a refund (unfortunately I used a debit card). 14 days later still no refund so I called and they said something had happened and the order wasn't canceled so they had to redo the cancellation. Again another 14 days to wait on the refund. Each time you call - there is at least a 45-60 minute wait. So today I call again - waited 45 minutes - finally spoke to a lady - the credit had not been processed. It would take at least another 5-7 days to process. I finally ask for a manager and told them, "No I wanted a refund today." The best that they could do is try and walk it through but it would be Monday before it would go through. They said the problem was all the recalls they are having has put them about 2 months behind. I never received any item from Ikea and they are holding on to my $500.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We did the in-home kitchen planning and paid for the kitchen, the appliances, delivery, and installation. Sounds turnkey, right? Nope, we are our own contractor for this job. It has taken THREE deliveries and I still don't have everything. First delivery guy was a jerk. Others were better but still didn't have all of our stuff. Now we are going into Day 4 of what was supposed to be a 3-day install that should have been done two days ago. Not everything in our plan was ordered for us -- we don't know why. Have not been able to get some parts even though we have asked for them 3X -- we don't know why. Installers were not able to follow exact directions and now our range won't fit into the space provided -- we don't know why.

PLEASE get a quote from a real contractor, a Home Depot, a kitchen specialist, whatever. You WILL have many many problems if you go via Ikea. If you really want Ikea, be prepared to spend hours on hold and on the phone. My other gripe is, no one is accountable. They have farmed out almost everything. There is no one person who is responsible. They all defray and deflect blame onto each other. And no one wants to ultimately fix the problem. Right now, I am really regretting this $12,000 purchase.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The worse company I have ever experienced in my life and I am 52. Took two days off work to wait on my furniture, no delivery... rescheduled. Got an email from IKEA stating new delivery date, after waiting on the phone for 1 hour 30 minutes they advise that the logistics company (third party) didn't approve delivery... Why the hell would Ikea send me an email with the delivery date then??? Then they say, it will take 7 days to refund the money. So not only that I wasted 2 vacation days on this, now I have no living room set for a whole week and now I still have to wait another week for a full refund to go out and buy another living room set... READ the reviews before you order.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Purchased 4 BESTA cabinets from IKEA in Schaumburg, IL. This IKEA store (closest to me) is a 5 hour drive from my home. Had purchased 12 of the identical cabinets from IKEA 3 years ago and purchased 4 more for a new home storage project. During assembly, noticed that the "cam locks" were no longer metal, but were white plastic. The obvious occurred and one of the "cam locks" broke. IKEA does not include "extra" plastic cam locks. I suppose that would defeat the purpose of their cost savings initiative to replace a reliable component with a "CHEAPER" plastic replica. Attempted to call IKEA customer service and every number resulted in a recording that the call could not be completed at this time.

I searched and found a new number for the "IKEA cabinet recall" (Oh Boy). After a lengthy wait... I requested someone who could discuss a problem with BESTA cabinets. Was assured by the CSR that she (Alaysia) could help me. Explained the purchase time frame and current situation. I stated that my project was now on hold. I suggested that she expedite replacement cam locks to allow me to complete the assembly and installation. Alaysia stated that she could get me some replacement parts, but that they would come from Sweden... So it was not going to be anytime soon. I stated that her solution was unacceptable to me and I needed her to do the "CSR thing" and get me some replacement parts.

Alaysia then suggested that I go to my local store and get replacement parts myself. I reiterated to Alyasia (who obviously had paid no attention to what I said to her) that my "local store" was a 5 hour drive from my home. Alaysia apparently thought I was from her neighbor"hood" and told me that there was nothing she could do for me beyond what she suggested. I suggested that she contact the Schaumberg, IL store since I was unable to get a phone call through to any other IKEA number (Google IKEA numbers not working for customers) and have them FedEx out some parts before EOB today. I told her that I would consider that to be "good Customer Service". "Naauuww I can't do that... I told you what I could do for you" (which was nothing).

I asked to speak with a supervisor and after another lengthy wait on hold... Was told... "Talked to my supervisor and he says that he can't do anything more than what I offered to do. So he be wanting to know if you still want to talk to him?" Hung up and left a message with IKEA Corporate Customer Service. We'll see if anybody there cares about customers. So that's my visit to the hood. All courtesy of IKEA. Lastly... Who allows an engineer to make such an obviously poor material change? I'm done with IKEA.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I urge you to reconsider to order online. This is my VERY painful experience: I placed an order online at IKEA.com on 4/4/18 as I was not sure the items I wanted would fit in the back of my car and Ikea is over an hour away. Once I placed my order I received a receipt with an estimated delivery of 4/9/18 between the hours of 9:00 am and 9:00 pm which is great because I was going to be moving into a new house on 4/20/18. So I had someone sit at my house ALL DAY only to realize at 8:45 pm, I called IKEA customer service and waited on the phone for over 50 minutes before speaking with a customer service representative who informed me that it was just an estimate delivery date. So she set a new delivery date for me of 4/19/18 and I could get a call with my shorter time frame of delivery on the day before 4/18/18. She did refund my $29 delivery fee and offered me an IKEA gift card for my troubles.

So to my shock on 4/18/18 at 7:30 pm when again, I got no call with my new time of delivery for 4/19/18. I called and was on hold for 75 minutes to get told my order had been canceled. No at this point I am beyond pissed off that I even picked IKEA to do business with! I was told I would get a call back this next morning by a TEAM LEAD at Ikea. So on 4/19/18 (the day before I moved) at 9:0am I called back and got told she would look into this and I would hear back shortly. Well, shortly was 4 hours later and again I was told she could change my address and have it re-delivered to my new home on 4/28/18 and again told she would send me another gift card in the mail for my troubles.

So now 4/27/18 I did get my call with my delivery time frame of 11:00 am-3:00 pm. I thought to myself "this mess is almost over" BUT I WAS WRONG!!! At 10:43 am I got a call saying they would be at my house in the next 15-20 minutes. So I made sure I was ready for the delivery. I then get another call saying they were outside. Around 11:05 am. I walked outside to see NO ONE... I called the number back and he said a "Paula" signed for my stuff and they left it outside. I asked him what he was talking about 'cause I was home and he never showed up.

Come to find out he delivered it to my old address i had moved out on and was told by the team lead would have been updated!!! I then had to rush over to the old address and hope I could get my items from whoever signed for them without a problem. I had to load them in my car alone with 5 HEAVY boxes. This has been such a horrible experience that I'll never step foot in another IKEA AGAIN!!! And I am sure my gift cards will NEVER make it to me either!

Original review: April 30, 2018

Absolutely appalling situation. In Canberra the on-line order was not completely filled for kitchen cabinets. It has been seven weeks without a kitchen and counting. Ikea is uncontactable by phone. Going in person achieves nothing. But I found out the following about what seems to be their system and how much effort they put in to helping the customer.

It turns out there is no back-ordering system to ensure the missing items are filled. All orders are picked off the shelf and stock is replenished like a supermarket. If your item is not there at the time then you do not get it. I had to periodically check if the item was again on the shelves. I spent two hours trying to contact the helpline. I was always cut off after 15 minutes or so when the option was offered to leave my number and retain my place in the queue. My kitchen is under construction and there is no way I can obtain the missing items and no way of knowing how long it will take for the missing items to return to the shelf. I have no usable kitchen and no way of finishing it. A lady in front of me at the service desk in the store was having a meltdown because she is in the same situation.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Ordered a loveseat, canceled next day, 28 days later still waiting for refund to be credited to my Visa card. Have called Ikea customer service several times, been put on hold for hours, was promised a call back from a manager (which naturally never occurred) and generally given a runaround from uninformed, uncaring customer service reps. They charge your account within a matter of minutes, but the refund apparently takes over a month after the cancellation has been authorized and approved. Will never, ever order from Ikea again.

Original review: April 28, 2018

This is a word of caution to anyone wanting to place an online order with IKEA. I urge you to reconsider. Here's my painful experience. I placed an order online at IKEA.com as the item I wanted was not available in store and the in-store associate suggested it would be much faster to order online and the delivery charge was only $29.

I placed my order on Mar 25, 2018 and received a receipt with an estimated delivery of Mar 31, 2018 between the hours of 9:00 am and 9:00 pm. When the order did not arrive, I called IKEA customer service and waited on the phone for over 30 minutes before speaking with a customer service representative who informed me the estimate was way too early and I should expect the delivery in two more weeks as the item was in "Picked" status which meant it was not yet shipped but was pulled in the warehouse ready to be sent out for delivery. She suggested I call back the end of the week to get an updated status.

On Saturday, April 7th, I called back and waited for almost an hour. Once connected with an associate, I was informed that the item was in "Ready to Pick" status which meant the item was still on the warehouse shelf. I explained this was backwards from the previous call and the woman checked and agreed it was in fact going in circles. She explained it would take another two weeks to reach me. At that point I wasn't going to wait any longer and requested the order be canceled for a full refund. She said they couldn't do that when the order has already been shipped. I informed her it wasn't shipped as it was still "ready to pick" and therefore wanted it canceled and refunded. She put me on hold and after discussion with her supervisor said she was able to get the order canceled for refund. I asked when I would expect the refund and she explained it would take about 7-10 business days.

On April 11, 4 days later, I had two voicemail messages that the delivery truck was at my house but no one was home to receive the delivery. I called the delivery company back and explained the order was already canceled for a refund and I didn't receive a courtesy call beforehand that anything would be delivered. The delivery company marked the order down as canceled and to return the item. I also called IKEA to make sure they were on the same page. I waited on the phone for 40 minutes before I hung up to try again. The estimate on the phone was a 63 minute wait. I hung up and emailed IKEA. I never received a response from my email even though they provided the phone and email as contact options in their email correspondence.

On April 23rd, 12 days later, I called to get an update on my refund and was informed that the item had not yet been returned to the Round Rock store to initiate my refund. The customer service woman put me on hold to check with the Round Rock store and they had no record of it. She called the delivery company who was trying to locate it. She suggested I call back at the end of the week.

I called back on April 27th and was on two separate calls for over two hours as the first hour long wait was disconnected on their end. Once I connected with a customer service rep, she informed me the delivery company would have the item delivered to the Round Rock store "tomorrow" (April 28th) where they would then be able to BEGIN my refund. I asked about the timeframe for the refund and she said 5-7 business days which means I won't see a refund until May 4th or as late as May 8th if it goes through as planned which isn't highly likely given the full customer experience thus far.

This morning, April 28th, 34 days since I originally place my order, I received a call from a delivery person asking about "a merchandise pickup from IKEA". I told him there was nothing to pick up as nothing was ever delivered. He put me on hold and came back to confirm my name when I reiterated I never received anything as the order was cancelled. So, now I'm on a call with a suggested wait time of 83 minutes. Once I get connected, I'll insist on a supervisor. I don't know when I'll get my refund or if it will happen at this point. I'm filing this complaint as I feel I've been taken advantage of as a customer. It never should take a company this long to refund the money when the customer never received the product.

IKEA clearly has no idea what they're doing. Each call resulted in a clueless hunt for the order, the status, or to provide any helpful information. I know now that each attempt was just to get me off the phone with a recommendation that I just wait longer. I've shopped quite a bit at the local IKEA but this has been such a horrible experience that I'll never step foot in another one.

Original review: April 27, 2018

The worst customer service with an average wait time of 60 minutes on the phone, I ordered a Besta TV system in Woodbridge store with pickup, delivery and assembly, IKEA delivered on time but did not assemble the equipment, missed a part. The problem is to get IKEA to correct the mistake has been so painful, getting to a customer service representative takes forever and every time there is a new problem to deal with, will never buy anything from IKEA again.

Original review: April 27, 2018

They have the WORST customer service and online order system ever!!! I am very disappointed in IKEA in every way possible!!! We purchased a sectional sofa online. It was delivered 2 weeks later (which was ok). When delivery guys came, they delivered ONLY 4 pieces out of 8! They told us that they looked everywhere to find the other 4 but they couldn't. We tried to reach the customer service, but the waiting time was incredibly awful! Every time we called them whether in the morning or late evening it was 90 minutes, 70 minutes. Finally, I reached them (after waiting 50 minutes). They scheduled a new delivery date for April 30 (I called them on April 23) Then I checked the order page, the new delivery date is MAY 3RD!!! I do not even know it will be delivered on that day! This is the very LAST time I am purchasing anything from IKEA!

Original review: April 25, 2018

Our company ordered 4 desks to be delivered to our office. There is a local Ikea store which had these desk in stock. After completing my on-line order I received an email from Ikea giving me an estimated delivery date which had come and gone. After six times of dialing the 800 # and being disconnected, I was finally connected with a customer service representative who could not tell me where my order was but call the trucking company and they could tell me. No they could not! On the second day of dealing with this and being put on hold yet again for over 30 minutes, I was instructed to talk to a customer service specialist and put on hold for over 45 minutes. I have NEVER experienced such horrid customer service and will NEVER order anything from Ikea whether online or in any of their stores. Ikea had No problem accepting my payment in full, but cannot deliver my order.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have been an IKEA fan for many many years but my more recent experiences with them really have me wondering why I still bother. I purchased a Hemnes 5 door chest in store. Once I started to assembles I discovered a piece was damaged. I need to drive two hours to get to my nearest IKEA. I telephoned and they said they would send me a replacement piece. That was six weeks ago. I telephoned to follow up after not received anything for two weeks. The customer service representative followed up whilst I waited on the phone (that was fine with me as I'd waited over an hour to speak to him). He came back to me and said that they had pulled the item from the shelf while I was on hold and would arrange shipment in the next couple of days.

Another two weeks pass. I call again - yes another hour plus hold before I get to talk to someone. I'm told this time that the didn't have a spare piece to replace the damaged one and would have to open a new box. I also queried the missing parts to an order for a kitchen - but let's save that for a different review! Now another two weeks has passed and I call to be told that my wait time before I can speak to a customer service rep is 78 minutes. At this stage I could have harvested the timber myself!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I should have done my research before ordering from IKEA.com and opting for home delivery. After doing some research I now see that my experience is fairly typical of this company. I placed an order for two bookshelves on 3/12 and after weeks of no communication from IKEA, I was informed that my items were damaged in transit "and/or" missing parts. My original order was cancelled and then a new order number was assigned. Today is now 4/25 and I am told (after a 40 minute+ hold time on the telephone) that a new order number was assigned but IKEA failed to ship their delivery service my items; that is to say, the only thing the delivery company was given is an order number. This is ridiculous. Now I am on hold (another 30+ minutes) just so I can officially cancel my order. I will never shop with IKEA again.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I ordered the Brimnes TV stand on the Ikea.com website on 3/16/18. I thought the delivery option would be a convenience, but boy was I wrong. I liked the TV stand so much, that I couldn't wait and I went to my nearby IKEA to purchase it in person. I thought I could cancel my order in person, but the Ikea rep at my local store told me that they couldn't cancel the order because the TV stand came from a different warehouse. I got in contact with Ikea, after being placed on hold for about an hour and 30 minutes, to request to cancel my order and have my refund processed. They told me that I had to wait until I received an email telling me that the order was shipped, in order for them to initiate the refund process.

I waited for the email which I received on March 20th. I called and I waited another hour and twenty minutes to get someone to talk to me. They then told me they couldn't refund the full amount including the delivery fee of $29.00 because I waited until the order had shipped. Which totally contradicted what the first phone rep told me to do. After expressing how unfair it was, they said they would grant me the full refund. They told me that I needed to wait 5-10 business days in order to get my money back.

I called back around Friday, April 13th or so because I still hadn't received my money. I called and guess what? Yup I was on hold for about another hour. I get through, the rep informs me that it will be refunded in about another week or two. I asked to speak to a manager. I got through and the manager apologized to me and said there was no excuse for how long it has taken. She explained that the request had to be approved, and it was on someone's desk, waiting to be looked at. She said she would make sure that I would be put on the "priority list". Fast forward to today... It's April 24th and I have yet to get my money back. This entire process has been a headache from the very beginning. I will never order off of their website again. Ikea DOES NOT make customers a priority. Their "priority list' doesn't exist. It's been over a MONTH. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: April 24, 2018

WORST DELIVERY SERVICE EVER!!! I ordered a shelving unit and was supposed to be contacted by the delivery company to set a day and time which never happened and they just set the date for a Friday from 9am to 9pm. Well I work Monday through Friday so I wasn't there of course and they were supposed to call and give me a 4 hour window and they didn't. They called after being there for 10 minutes to tell me to respond back by phone within 5 minutes or they were leaving. I was with a customer so I missed the call of course. I tried to call right back and there was a 58 minute hold time. Also it took multiple tries to even get the call to got through. I finally got someone after holding for 35 minutes and rescheduled the delivery to my work address because they don't deliver to my area on weekends.

Well that confirmed delivery date came and went without my delivery so I called and sat on eternal hold to be told someone would contact me within an hour to reschedule again. Of course no one called so I called back and sat on eternal hold again to be told they were rescheduling the delivery and they were giving everything to their supervisor and I should hear from someone by the morning or I needed to call back. I then called the delivery company and they show nothing in their computer about any rescheduled deliveries. I am at a loss at this point and feel like I just threw away my money. I have also emailed this company several times with no response and cannot seem to get anyone but lower level customer service who thankfully are very nice but are limited on what they can do due to the terrible policies of the company they work for. I do not recommend ever purchasing anything from this company that has to be delivered.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I am an avid internet shopper. The most awful online shopping site is IKEA. Great store but totally unacceptable on-line service. BE AWARE if you choose to purchase anything online with IKEA it is a nightmare to get help. I placed a very large order online. Immediately after purchasing I made a mistake and it took me 1 hour and 45 Minutes to get someone on the phone to cancel my order - then I placed the corrected order. Even though they sent me a order return email that same day I called I NEVER GOT THE $1200 CREDIT ON MY VISA.

I called to see why 17 days later and I was on the phone for a few minutes over 2 hours!!! Then, the IKEA employee said it takes 5-10 days for your credit to go through. I told her it was 17 days and I want to speak with a manager. She put me on a long hold and said that the manager is not available. So, I wasted 2 hours and nothing happened. It is now 23 days after the cancel date and no credit issued yet and my Visa bill is due. I don't have 2 hours to sit on the phone waiting to talk to another unhelpful employee so perhaps they monitor their reviews. Online IKEA sucks!!!

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

IKEA has gained a cult following thanks to its affordable pricing and multifunctional pieces. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use IKEA furniture in your home.

• IKEA Family program: The IKEA Family program is free to sign up and gives you exclusive access to promotions and special sales. Some of the benefits include free tea or coffee at the store restaurant and 90 day price protection.

• Worldwide locations: IKEA stores can be found across the globe in 41 different countries operating more than 330 stores including franchises, with more locations being added all the time.

• Multiple delivery options: IKEA flat-packs its boxes for easier transport, but if you don't have room to take your new furniture with you, delivery by truck is available for a flat fee. You can combine several items into a single shipment for the same price.

• Business furniture: While commonly thought of as a residential furniture store, IKEA also has a variety of items for businesses at affordable price points.

• In-store restaurant: In many IKEA stores they provide an IKEA Restaurant that features Swedish-style cuisine so you can take a lunch break or grab a quick snack to improve your shopping experience.

• Best for: Cost-savvy shoppers, families, DIYers and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs