IKEA

Compare Furniture Stores

Research top Furniture Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I order three items from IKEA (3 different utensil drawer trays) online on January 30th. I have an IKEA store located 25 minutes from my house. But I wasn't in the mood to drive to that location and stand in their lines just for these trays. I felt the $10 shipping charge was worth the aggravation. I immediately received an email in return stating that my order was processed and expected delivery date was February 6th. It is now February 10th and I had not even received a confirmation email regarding delivery or anything! I call them up and speak to an "Online Representative" who stated that the reason for the delay was that FedEx had been 10-days behind deliveries since the holidays!!! I told him that he was lying and that is not possible. He kept blaming that it was FedEx's fault and that my order had been picked and is waiting for them to pick it up.

I asked for a tracking number and he said that IKEA does not produce tracking numbers, FedEx does when they pick up the order. My company, as well as many others who DELIVER TO CUSTOMERS ON A CONTINUOUS BASIS have accounts with delivery companies where they print their labels out beforehand and mark those deliveries accordingly such as "waiting for pickup" when a label has been printed and a tracking number has been created for that delivery but the delivery company hasn't picked up yet. But not IKEA!!! They wait until the FedEx driver comes and produces labels for all their pick ups!!! Now I understand why FedEx is behind by 10-days (sarcasm)! I tried to cancel my order and the "Mr. Honesty" stated that he couldn't cancel it so I'd have to wait until it was delivered and then take it back to the store for my refund! Are you serious?!

When I asked how many Online Customers of IKEA are complaining about deliveries and trying to cancel their orders, he replied with "97%" of their calls are about this. And again, he stated that due to FedEx being behind, it is not IKEA's fault! It has been sitting in their facility for 12-days and they don't know when it will be picked up and delivered, but I need to wait until it is and then take it back! hahaha So, of course like any normal consumer, ask to speak to his supervisor. While I'm on hold, I begin doing searches online for FedEx + delays + after holidays... nada. Only mention of delivery delays were BEFORE the holidays because of the amount of online orders and it affected ALL MAJOR DELIVERY COMPANIES! Wow... I never would have thought that a major leader in deliveries would still feel the effects of online deliveries from over a month ago... hmmm.

After 10 minutes on hold, I then speak to a "Nicole". Now she seemed pleasant so I enter this conversation starting with a positive attitude. I notified her of what the previous CSR told me and I brought up that I did some searches online about it and nothing came up. She then told me that it was their distribution center that was delayed since the holidays. When I again told her that the previous CSR blamed FedEx, she said that he didn't and it was their facility and I was wrong. When I tried to get a word in edge-wise she raised her voice and stated, "I will not listen to you unless you let me finish what I'm saying." Wow. I again demand a full refund and if it is delivered I will not accept delivery. She states that she will check their facility to see if she can cancel the order.

I told her that it clearly hasn't shipped, has been sitting there for 12 days, no tracking number, so IKEA is fully capable to pull the order (maybe hard to locate it in the 10-days worth of backed up deliveries). She again raises her voice and states that she will check into cancelling it and will call me. At this point I'm pretty much chuckling at her anger and asked to speak to her supervisor. She told me that she could not do that as she is the highest person to deal with customer complaints there. I asked her what happens if people want to complain about her and she promptly asked me if that was all. I asked her again, she stated that she will call me when she finds out if they can pull the order or not. Then thanked me for shopping at IKEA and to have a nice day... hung up. So that is superb customer service for ya! I have NEVER had a call go in that way.

I don't normally complain about anything. But I had to make an account for ConsumerAffairs specifically for the transaction that just occurred. Rude, inconsiderate, liars. Ohhh... just received a call from "Nicole". She told me that she cannot cancel the order and that it was packaged waiting for pickup. Again, can't tell me when they will pick it up. She stated that if I wanted to return the order she will provide me with a "Pickup for Full Refund" and arrange for it to be picked up. DOES THIS MAKE SENSE? So... let me get this straight, my order is sitting at their facility, waiting for pickup. It has been there, packaged and waiting for almost 2-full weeks.

It doesn't have a tracking number because they are waiting for the FedEx driver to come and write one out in long-hand for them. They are going to have it delivered to me, just to pick it back up and have it sent to them and offer a full refund?! Am I missing something??? I'm beside myself. I have a feeling I'm going to be calling them back up to complain that I haven't received any information about my order, no email has been sent regarding tracking numbers, delivery dates nor the refund. And I'll be posting another exciting complaint about IKEA's Online Service to this site as well as others. If you have an IKEA near you, go there in person. DO NOT ORDER ONLINE!!! YOU WILL GET YOUR ITEMS DELIVERED TO YOU ON HORSEBACK.

We bought about $500 dollars worth of stuff and had to return all of it. They essentially put up every obstacle possible to prevent you from getting your stuff refunded. The store itself is also a disaster: it's a zoo, nobody helps you with anything, the store reps are super unfriendly. There is *ZERO* reason to ever go to IKEA. You are much better off on Amazon.

My children organized a Christmas gift for us through IKEA. It was guaranteed to be delivered by Christmas and it is now February and we haven't received our frames (the gift). IKEA have wrongly attached it to someone else's order, IKEA have sent it to the wrong address - these are the excuses so far. However, every time I ring no one seems to know what is going on. They lie and they also don't return calls. They took our money but do not help in any way to get the goods to you. There is no possible way to speak to anyone directly. It has been the worst experience ever!

I ordered from Ikea 9 days ago. The day after I ordered I found a desk chair I liked better at a different store so I called Ikea to cancel my order right away. They told me it was too late and it was scheduled to ship out the next day (ok, it was my fault I had buyer's remorse) so I was told I could refuse shipment but would lose my s &h fee. I figured I'd just keep it and not purchase the other one. 9 days have passed and I still haven't received my chair, so I call back. They tell me it's on the pick list and should ship out within the next couple days. Are you kidding me?? It was too late to cancel over a week ago but my order still hasn't been shipped. I was told there was nothing they can do. Worst customer service and shipping times I've ever saw and I purchase the majority of products online. Will never bother to order from them again. Save yourself the hassle.

I purchased a couch online and was supposed to receive it on 1/27/17, I cleared up my schedule so I would be available to be home that day, I got a call on 1/25/17 to let me know that my couch would be delivered on 1/26/17 from noon to 4 pm. I am busy!!! I have a job! I can't just go canceling meetings to sit for a couch. I called to reschedule and they said that the only next available date would be 2/1/17 but the thing is I'm going for a work trip for 2 weeks. So I asked if we could schedule for when I came back and they said it would incur in storage fees. If I cancel my order I don't get the $99 shipping fee back. This is really not how it's supposed to work here in US... Terrible customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

I have tried to use IKEA e-commerce to purchase a bed. The web module is not working! It gets hung in different stages and totally random with error messages. Attempting chat I received a phone number that could "resolve" my problem. It was apparently a rude individual who was assigned to take phone orders. When inquiring about details, I discovered that assembly (for additional payment of course) is offered only if purchased in a store. There is a $10 additional charge if ordering in store over e-mail. Summary: A trip to IKEA, 7 attempts in e-commerce and one rude phone call and no bed. It's not an effective way to do e-commerce.

I recently made a very large kitchen purchase. I paid IKEA $199 for IKEA Kitchen Planning service (IKP). That was probably my biggest mistake. I am an Engineer with expertise in CAD and had already designed a perfect plan but the IKEA needs the kitchen plan in their online planner to order and that has lot of limitations and extremely slow. So I decided to pay for IKP since it was going to be a large purchase.

There were several dozen mistakes in the IKP, delivery was missing few items when the IKEA's third party installer checked the delivery and several damaged boxes and few items falling off the box since the packaging was really bad. Several boxes had stickers with name and complete home address of other people. I am assuming that these were the returns and IKEA never bothered to remove the stickers containing the customer name and address. This seems like a serious issue that IKEA is giving out private information containing people's name and complete address.

During installation I had to make trips to IKEA every single day, sometimes twice a day as the installers found more issues with the plan provided by IKP or because items in the shipment were incorrect. The plan I had created myself was correct and I told them to just use mine. In the mean time the helper that the main installer had ripped open all the boxes, assembled all the wrong items after me telling them that there were several things that are incorrect. Even though this is not directly IKEA's fault, IKEA still facilitated the installation and it's their only third party installation company.

The nightmare started when I went to return the items that was no longer needed. Long story short, I had to make 3 trips, so spend almost 8 hours loading, unloading, reloading boxes and being in the returns desk etc. The first cashier, Marcus, at returns was rude and gave me an attitude even before he knew who I was or why I was there. He did not know my name nor I knew his. I had not even seen that guy before. He said he needs every single gift card IKEA has ever given me which made no sense. I had all the receipts, a few gift cards with more than enough balance to adjust for the returns I was going to make but he did not even want to take a look. He refused to hold my carts when I asked him if I can go home and get rest of the gift cards. So I had to load everything on a cold and damp night due to no fault of mine (I confirmed the next day that the guy was wrong).

I went back the next day. After over an hour of scanning issues, computer freezing up etc the girl finally found all the items on my receipt. This should have taken a few minutes not over an hour. Anyway in the end she said she has to take off 15% of all my return. I told her that first off, I came back with all the gift cards as I was told the previous night and second off, several items I purchased did not even receive any promotional items (7 receipts out of the 16 did not receive any promotional gift cards) but she said she can't do anything because Marcus her manager had told her to take 15% off my refund no matter what. He was there watching the whole thing. Did not bother to even come help. She said she can take out the 15% on the gift card but she will also take 15% off the refund. Unbelievable!

Since I had to return to work I told her to just take 15% off my refund so I can deal with it later and she started scanning each item again, manually using the calculator on her computer to calculate 15% of each item and subtracting that amount for each item and manually key in the return amount for each item. I was furious. I asked for the store manager but she was not around. Anyway the cashier processed the refund and ended up losing 15% of my money. I asked for manager once again. Since she was still not there, another gentleman came to the desk.

After I explained what happened, he said what the cashier did was unnecessary. He would have taken off 15% from one of the gift cards as it doesn't matter which gift card as long as it had enough balance. This is EXACTLY what I had asked the previous day and the girl that wasted over 2 hours of my time and they refused to do it. The girl however said she could but she was instructed by this Marcus guy not to. I had loaded only one cart and had another cart full but after the disgusting treatment I received I decided I'll just go back to my work and come over the weekend.

OK, so I go back the next evening, it was a Saturday with my partner. It started pouring, so we only loaded the cart with about a third of what we had and thought one of us will load the rest when the rain slows down. The lady was sweet and she scanned all the receipts and all the items and within couple minutes she was ready to process the refund. But the issue was the system was going to put the entire amount on my Visa which was used to buy only a few items and I asked her if there is a way to refund the amount on another visa credit card. The lady was deaf and partially mute, so another guy came to assist. He did something and messed up the entire return. He that started scanning the receipts and the system kept showing a bunch of errors and he kept saying the receipts were invalid.

I work in IT building software for big companies. The error had nothing to do with the receipts. In fact the same thing happened the previous time and I was told if they click OK and scan again, it would work, which it did. I told this guy but he said he cannot do that, that's trying to scam or something. I was dumbfounded. He said he has to use my order number that was on the stickers on the boxes. I said "sure go ahead." He enters the order number, suddenly looks at me with suspicion and goes to the back and comes back and says those are not my items. I was infuriated. I tried telling him every single item was found on my receipts before he came and messed things up but he was adamant. He went to another desk to attend something. I picked the item he said was not mine, found the receipt and asked the lady to scan them and voila! It worked and I got my refund back on my visa for that one item.

So I told the guy, he said, instead of apologizing, that's is breaking IKEA policy as it's not on my order. So I look at the box and guess what? There were 2 stickers, one was some Richard and another one was my name. He had entered the other person's order number. When he realized this, he once again did not bother to even apologize. He entered my order number and half my items scanned in a matter of seconds. The other items were purchased without using the order number but I had the receipts. He went to the back area, comes back and says there is a note that I am trying to return the items I already returned. How is it even possible!? The previous time I was there the girl messed up so much and instead of scanning all the receipts she scanned only a few at a time and of course it showed up as already returned because the actual item was on the receipt that was not yet scanned.

The guy did not even enough IQ to understand this simple reasoning. He said I have to prove that I paid for every single item I had for return and gave me a highlighter. He also said he had to take of 15% off my return which he never mentioned till he pulled up my order number, my name and saw the notes left by Marques guy, who obviously had already profiled me out the first time he even saw me. I was baffled but decided let me try highlighting the receipts. So I found one thing at a time and the lady was scanning, taking 15% off and processing them. It was way past the close time and the guy realized I have all the receipts and I was going to do what he asked me to do. So he once again barged in, says he's just going to scan all the receipts and items and just do one refund. This is exactly what I had asked and he kept refusing. Of course, because of the system issue I mentioned earlier, he had to scan each receipt twice.

At the end all items were found. And then he asked the lady to take out 15% of each item, once again ignoring the fact I did not get the discount for all the items and had the receipts to prove it. Nor he was willing to just deduct the 15% off the gift card, which is in compliance with IKEA policy. Simply because he did not know how to do that or simply because he had the power to abuse me. I felt so violated and upset, I just let them do what they want to so I can get out of that hell.

Of course we had the rest of the items still in the car. I unloaded the car when I got back home, past 10:30 pm and now they are all sitting in my living room. We spent 3 hours highlighting all the items on the receipt. I have called my IKEA kitchen contact and left 2 voice messages. I also left a message for the customer relations manager at the store and hadn't heard back so far. I will update the review once I do. My next call will be the local BBB/county officials to file a complaint if IKEA Charlotte NC doesn't do anything to correct the wrong that was done to me.

Absolute nightmare, lack of respect to customers, under trained staff. Please stay away from IKEA kitchen purchase. On the bright side, the kitchen did come out great, exactly as per my original plan. So purchase the IKEA kitchen at your own risk and be prepared for abuse, rude comments, and name calling if you have to return or exchange anything, even if the return is due to IKEA's fault! Thanks for reading my review. I will be happy to provide more details, evidence etc.

Is it acceptable to receive your money back 28 days after you canceled your order? Placed an online order 1/1/2017, the money was drawn from my account within SECONDS. Canceled the order the next day,1/2/2017. Fifteen days later, 1/16/17 I still have not received my money. Sent an email to IKEA, “you can expect a response from us within 24-28 hrs after sending your email” today January 21, 2017, FIVE DAYS after I sent my email I received the following: "Our records indicate that your refund was dispatched on 1/20/17. Please allow 7-10 business days for your credit to appear on your account." I don't think it is acceptable that my money are drawn within second when placing an order but I need to wait for 28 days to get them back.

This review is related to the delivery process only and has nothing to do with the store or the product. The delivery company was North American Logistics. I'll add that I've spoken to senior managers at IKEA and NAL and both of them point the finger at the other as the source of the problem. I ordered my product online and was issued a delivery date. The day prior to the delivery I was sent a delivery window via text and email. I immediately called and informed them that it was a business and delivery prior to 5 pm was required. I was reassured it would be there in time and was even told that it would be delivered the next day in case of any issues. At 7 pm the next night I was informed via phone that there was a delivery attempt, which shouldn't have happened. I called the next day to ensure delivery would be that day and was told that unfortunately it would be another week since the deliveries had been scheduled for that day.

So a week goes by and the shipment arrives. Lo and behold, a box is missing. I call IKEA and it seems the trucking company has lost it. Now I have to once again wait a week for the missing box. I discussed extensively with IKEA that it's a business and they must make sure the delivery is prior to 5 pm. The lady puts on the request to the shipping company that it's a business and delivery prior to 4 pm is required. I know this because I received an email from NAL that clearly stated those instructions. Then today (the day prior to the scheduled delivery) I receive notification that I've been scheduled for delivery tomorrow as late as 6 pm.

I call NAL and talk to an agent and then a senior manager. They tell me there's nothing they can do about it. They don't schedule until the day prior and you get whatever you get in terms of a delivery window. He tells me that IKEA won't let them do anything else because I'm in a rural area - Roanoke VA - population about 200,000 in the metro area. We're just off interstate 81. So his solution to my problem is that I should just hang around work for a few extra hours to make sure I get my item tomorrow. Otherwise it could easily not be delivered and it might be another week or so since they only deliver in this area periodically. The whole finger pointing thing is crap. The buck stops with IKEA. They should have resolved this and gotten it handled. In my opinion they need to be shipping by UPS truck if these people can't handle the deliveries correctly. I doubt I'll ever order anything else from IKEA online and I will tell my friends and family the same.

I bought a bed, sofa, mattress, etc from IKEA store via personal visit. I came back home and realized while assembling my bed that one of the part was missing. This part is mentioned in the IKEA reference manual and must be the part of items that were delivered. I called up the IKEA customer care and instead of accepting their fault he started convincing me to buy the same part again. I was given 2 options: To travel to IKEA store which is 120 miles back and forth and pay for the product at the store again. Option 2 was to order it online and pay for the product as well as the delivery charges. I ordered the product but have not received it until now. Even the delivery date has already passed.

After all this I emailed this at IKEA customer service ID, but the representative had nothing to answer. Instead of addressing my questions on why am I being charged, he just informed to buy the product. After purchasing the product I received a survey link to give the feedback. I did not respond to the survey. Today I went to the same link for providing the feedback on that survey, but to my surprise, that has already been submitted. I believe the IKEA gives itself the 5 star rating because none of the customer is going to do that. Lol.

Had $4000 of hanging cabinets (Besta), desk, filing cabinets installed in a high rise unit. 3rd Party did delivery and installation. Great communication several times prior to delivery, confirmations, called before arriving. Arrived on time. Fast installers, highly competent, superb service. IKEA Frisco. Installation downtown Dallas. Only one mistake or would have given five stars. Sales person left off one drawer front in order and we will need to return to store to pick up another one. But, for a complicated installation am well pleased and the extra money for putting together and installing was well worth it. After reading other bad experiences, wanted to share this good experience.

Placed an order on 12/27/16 for my item and my account was debited accordingly. Receive my order on 1/5/17 only to discover it was a set of twin sheets, not even close to what I ordered. I called customer service that day and was told they would ship the correct item ASAP. I called again on 1/13/17 and was told it was scheduled for delivery by FedEx for 1/17/17. I asked for a tracking number and they couldn't give me one but was sure it would deliver on 1/17/17. Today, 1/15/17, I called again and they informed me it hadn't even shipped yet. How do they propose I will get it by 1/17/17 if they hadn't even shipped it yet?

They said they couldn't expedite the shipping either because they don't have the capability. I requested to cancel the order and issue me a refund. I was informed it would take 7-14 days to give me my money back. It certainly didn't take them that long to take it from my account. They have no regard for customer service. I ordered the same item from Amazon instead. Save your time and go to the store if you plan to purchase from IKEA. I would've been better off driving the 2 hours to get it myself.

I paid $99.00 for shipping on my order and the delivery truck arrived TWO HOURS LATE. In addition, they were missing a piece of furniture that I ordered. I called the customer service number and I waited THIRTY MINUTES before I was able to speak to a representative. I then had to wait an additional TEN MINUTES after they transferred me to the correct department. Now I have to report my missing item, arrange another delivery date and wait another 4 hour time frame for my item I purchased. 6 hours I waited today for my incomplete order, 1 hour on the phone to report this issue and another 4 hour delivery window for my missing item. I will NEVER order from IKEA online again.

Delivery was scheduled for Thursday and time window was given from 12.00 to 2 pm. My husband took half day leave from work to wait for the delivery. He waited until 4 pm and no one turn up. No phone call to explain delay or problems. I called the customer line and was told Ikea could not contact the transporter!!! They promised to call me in half hour time. Again waited till 5.00 pm. No call or email. I called again at 5.45 pm (which took me 15 minutes to be connected!) and I was told that there was system problem and they can only deliver 2 days later. You would think people have no other better thing to do than wait for Ikea to deliver??? HORRIBLE SERVICES. This would be the last I'll time we'll buy from Ikea!

I have ordered items online to have it delivered to my office; however the officer who should be communicated with me he did not advise us on the delivery or the payment process... Apparently they do the accept postponed check. I got to know that after two weeks however I issued check. To proceed with an advance payment we email Ikea team that the check is ready for collection. The answer was "No, we don't collect it. You need to come and submit the check yourself."

I went to submit the check and I have been asked to change the check account name as it will be rejected by the bank. I have asked them to speak to the manager and Mr. ** came to speak to me confirming the same! When I showed him the email and the invoices I have received from his coworker he didn't show any cooperation or trying to assist me to solve my problem. All what he said "oh the delivery, it might take 10 days." He is being difficult and made the situation worst...

I came to Ikea with one problem and expected to be solved. Now I had to deal with check miscommunication between finance and operation team in addition to that the unhelpful manager and delivery service issues. For the record the only one who tried to help me in this situation was customer service name Rabe, helped me to finalize this issue... I'm really disappointed with Ikea services and miscommunication. Ikea always my favourite shop but if you will continue with this I believe that you will lose a lot of customers. Thank you.

I've placed a rather large order with IKEA recently and tried contacting them to check whether or not someone over 18 years of age would need to be present. The first time I called them, I waited for more than 30 minutes and had to hang up due to a meeting. Sent an email that was replied over a week later and after I ended up spending another 30 minutes to confirm that a 18-year needs indeed to be present. They claim they get too many calls! Well, they obviously need to hire more people! Duh!!!

Order a black cabinet instead of white so I called back to correct the mistake. 1st call to the call center= "Our computer is down. Call back tomorrow." Call the next morning = "cannot help you, go to the store." At the store the next day, I was told "cannot help you, your order is out of the store somewhere. You have to purchase new cabinet and refuse the one you order when they deliver in 2 weeks." The customer service at the store told me they did not care about what the call center told me, most of the time they do not know what is happening at the store. The service people at IKEA are not well trained and don't work as a team. Also the delivery process is given to a third party not well connected to the store. I am surprised they are still in business.

On 10/14/16 I purchased 3 products from Ikea, Tampa. I live about 45 miles away. #1-Resin sink 302.261.73 for 200.00. #2-Cabinet 801.955.36 for 199.00 and #3-Faucet 102.400.28 for 99.00. Total of 498.99. The sink is either missing parts to attach to the wall hung cabinet or I was not told to purchase the parts. Either way I need parts to attach the sink to the cabinet.

Attempting to seek help from Ikea all roads lead to the same customer service support. No one, absolutely no one has picked up the phone in 4 total hours. I called twice. I have attempted to reach a local number to the Ikea in Tampa and again told to contact the same number over and over. All other attempts to circumvent the system have failed. Do I have to drive 45 MILES to speak to this ** COMPANY. My strong advice.... If I am not able to resolve this matter I will NEVER BUY a PRODUCT from this company AGAIN. I suggest you listen to what I have just told you.

Ikea is a wonderful website, but if you were to get it delivered don't do it! I ordered on 12/25 and they said that the delivery should be here by 1/4. I had to call about 3 different agents as IKEA uses third parties for delivery. Now they are saying it will not be here until next week. It is very inconvenient when a website does not tell you when your order will be here. And on top of that they say that it takes 2 days for processing and no more than 5 days to send it out. Well it will be three weeks IF it comes next week. Never ordering from here again. I will next time just go to the store to buy items.

I ordered 2 sets of Malm drawers on Dec 9. I received the first set within 2 weeks however it's been almost a month now (Jan 3) and I have yet to receive the second set of drawers. I called Ikea and it took 30 minutes to get a live person on the phone only to be told my order is in transit. Which is what I've been told since the order was placed. CUSTOMER SERVICE NOT THEIR TOP PRIORITY. It would've been quicker for me to drive over to pick it up from the store. I WILL NOT BE USING IKEA EVER AGAIN FOR ONLINE ORDERS.

I have purchased 3 identical BESTA 60" tall cabinets over the past 6 or 8 years, along with dozens of other storage solutions for incidental and occasional use. I have a small construction company and have even sold 2 Ikea requested complete kitchens (less countertops and appliances), with very good success. On Dec 30, 2016 I purchased a white BESTA cabinet, with matching double glass doors, and 8 shelves, to store various table linens and placemats on low accessible shelves, in lieu of totes on closet shelves. This unit was a catastrophe waiting to happen!

In the past, the cam locks have always been aluminum (of varying grades), but at least accepted a turn to TIGHTEN the cam onto the post as required. NOW, the cam locks are brittle PLASTIC, which was not able to be snugly installed. Instead, of the first 4 of 8 needed to be secured, 2 of them broke readily, long before they were snug. This required a trip to Lowe's to purchase their aftermarket equivalent, at a cost of just over $10.00 for the full set of 8 needed. Instructions have always been "buyer beware", with minimal instruction on where hinges are to be set relative to adjacent doors, without first checking half-installed hinges against the frame, then marking, then confirming with the second door (or third, if it applies).

In view of recent unfair lawsuits singling out Ikea for unsecured shelving and other furniture being unsafe for climbing children, some changes have occurred for the common lay-person to install and secure them to the wall. Every manufacturer out there has similar issues if someone climbs on a dresser or bookcase if it isn't secured, so why Ikea? Regardless, the liability concern also removed casters from the options available for "feet" for this furniture. I had to steal them from another previously assembled piece, leaving it fixed where casters would have been preferred on the older furniture.

Bottom line, panels seem to be more sloppy in their consistency of finish, slotted holes cleaned out of sawdust, and VERY poor fastening hardware. To save 2-3 cents per unit by making the cam assembly pieces plastic, and thereby unable to properly assemble, Ikea INCREASED LIABILITY for those who are not smart enough to go get aluminum replacements. If I had done like so many would, and assemble it with the plastic cams, it would be much more susceptible to failure and injury. STOP SAVING PENNIES, AND MAKE THE ASSEMBLY PARTS USER AND SAFETY FRIENDLY!

STOP ALLOWING ACCOUNTANTS TO MAKE PRODUCT AND QUALITY DECISIONS BASED ONLY ON COST! I will be returning legs that ended up not being used and will be bringing the receipt for Lowe's where I was forced to purchase the metal cam locks. I truly hope my request for being refunded for that cost will not be met with anything but a cheerful refund when I return to the Canton, Michigan store. Please everyone... BUYER BEWARE and make sure you DON'T use the plastic included parts to assemble your cabinets or shelving!

We bought a small sectional in May, only 8 months later it already has ripped in 3 different places... all at the seams. We are mad and disgusted. We paid 1400 for this couch and are extremely disappointed. There are 2 people in our house, no children, and only one very small, elderly dog.

There were agents everywhere in the store. It took about 3 minutes, and someone showed me the area I wanted to look at.. Bedrooms. I love going to Ikea. It's a nice atmosphere.. smiling agents.. and lots of awesome furniture selections! Know what you want, when you go furniture shopping.. take your time, ask the attendants for help, make sure you check their prices, sometimes there are sales! I think Ikea is very innovative, it's a great place to shop for your house!

I was intending to buy a £100.00 gift voucher for a Christmas present and was bemused and annoyed by the fact that a standard delivery cost increased according to the value of the gift card I wished to purchase. Rather idiotically in fact, the higher the value of the gift card, the higher the delivery cost (an interesting way for a business to encourage higher spending from their customers!). The way in which they are posted still remains the same (standard delivery). I then called Ikea to ask for an explanation and was told it is "down to the picking in the warehouse process".

They could not tell me why it was more difficult for them to pick a £100 voucher than a £50.00 voucher. According to their delivery charges, it is cheaper for them to have to pick two £50.00 vouchers than or a £99.99 voucher than a single £100.00 voucher!! It seems they are simply looking to profit on the Royal Mail delivery charges! I then asked them if they could email me the gift voucher (which is a pretty standard option in the 21st century), but of course, this was not an option (they are quite determined to profit on their delivery charges!). Needless to say, on principle and determination not to support such greed, I shall be taking my custom elsewhere.

Delivery was scheduled for next day and time window was given from 1 to 5. I waited till 5 and then received call from driver that address is wrong and as per contract with IKEA he is canceling the delivery. There was nothing wrong with address!!! I had to go to store for rescheduling and I was told that delivery will be done two days later for same time window.... Again waited till 5, got email and call that delivery is delayed to 5 to 7, waited and then 8pm I called customer service of delivery company and I was told that delivery guy could not find merchandise from store!!!! DON'T PAY FOR DELIVERY... HORRIBLE SERVICES. Get furniture... hire someone for that much money to deliver if you are buying lots of furniture or cannot pick in your own vehicle or don't have friend to help!

Coat rack, bench and shoe rack for mud room. Never needed to use customer service. Everything came with easy instructions, all the parts. I had trouble picking what I wanted because all the different choices. It was very easy to place my order online after I finally picked what I wanted. I had to go back in and make a second order for the coat rack and bench because my daughter loved both and had a perfect place for them. The next time maybe I'll show her first and order 2 right from the start.

Queen-size bed & mattress. Delivery on-time. We love the bed and fast service. When it was delivered it was easy to assemble with clear instructions included with the product. We are very pleased with our purchase.

I went to Ikea for an inexpensive couch. Found what I needed. Went to fill out the forms and handed over my Amex. I was told that I could not pay there but that I had to go to the checkout. "Well where is that," I asked. I was told to go down the stairs and follow the arrows. Well the arrows just kept going and going. I understood quickly that I was being FORCED to go through the whole store AGAINST my will, so I turned around and got myself back to the beginning. Then I tried to exit. I was at this point NOT going to buy from IKEA.

I could not out. I started to feel imprisoned and claustrophobic and I started to have an anxiety attack. I walked over to a counter with Ikea employees and asked if I could get out because I was feeling trapped. They pushed a button and I was out. "Whoa...!" is all I can say about this horrific experience. I believe Ikea is Swedish owned and that Sweden is a socialist country which basically dictates how people should live and that's totally against my American idea of being to enter and leave an establishment at my will. I will NEVER set foot into Ikea again!

Buying from Ikea is like buying from a yard sale. Looks cheap, but the terrible customer service, the time you spend assembling and fixing errors, and the loss due to a horrible warranty program make other option much better. If you want cheap furniture, buy Craigslist.

I am disgusted with my experience in the restaurant. The hot dog I had had mold on it and my chips were cold. The service time was very long and the hygiene was not up to standard. I am very disappointed.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

IKEA has gained a cult following thanks to its affordable pricing and multifunctional pieces. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use IKEA furniture in your home.

• IKEA Family program: The IKEA Family program is free to sign up and gives you exclusive access to promotions and special sales. Some of the benefits include free tea or coffee at the store restaurant and 90 day price protection.
  • Worldwide locations: IKEA stores can be found across the globe in 41 different countries operating more than 330 stores including franchises, with more locations being added all the time.
  • Multiple delivery options: IKEA flat-packs its boxes for easier transport, but if you don't have room to take your new furniture with you, delivery by truck is available for a flat fee. You can combine several items into a single shipment for the same price.
  • Business furniture: While commonly thought of as a residential furniture store, IKEA also has a variety of items for businesses at affordable price points.
  • In-store restaurant: In many IKEA stores they provide an IKEA Restaurant that features Swedish-style cuisine so you can take a lunch break or grab a quick snack to improve your shopping experience.
  • Best for Cost-savvy shoppers, families, DIYers and individuals.

Compare Furniture Stores