1.10/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

1324 IKEA Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Shopping at IKEA is always a mental challenge, the only place that I get panic attacks. I can respect a store that wants you to see everything that they have to offer, that is fair; but it is overwhelming. That IKEA has a ton to offer is super cool! The prices are unbeatable. The furniture is very nice and it works, almost everyone in America probably has things from IKEA...but the customer service...the people that work there... They do not care about the customers. The team members are borderline hostile to the customers. Instead of viewing the customers as the reason they have an income, they view the customers as a waste of time. It's almost like they have been told to treat the customers like garbage so that IKEA can make money off of deliveries.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Horrible or almost none of good old American customer service! Maybe because they know, that there no other comparable competition - they just spit on basic service requirements! In Miami store they hire SPANISH ONLY speaking help; and it’s impossible to ask them anything. They don’t even apologize! Associates wondering around in a sleep-like state, ignorant to any request. And it’s in almost every dept. Very negative experience. Will never come back.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

HORRIBLE!!! I ordered two couches online and decided to cancel my order because it was going to take 4 weeks to deliver (they should have mentioned that before I placed my order). I couldn't get through for days until September 3rd, a rep was able to cancel my order and emailed me an attachment that said "canceled". I still have not been refunded over $2,400 on my credit card and have been calling every day for a week. Had to have my credit card put in a dispute with them so I can get my money back. WORST company that I have ever had to dealt with ever.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Like everyone is saying do not I repeat do not purchase anything from this fraudulent company. Their product is about as good as Kmart brand just hella unorganized and **. Nobody to get help from but a bunch of customer service reps, I use to dream of purchasing a kitchen from them, bleep that, stick to American made products and companies this company know they falling under, I don't see them around much longer.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I placed an order for a trundle bed July 26, 2018 with delivery date of 1st of Aug. I was called by the delivery company on the day of delivery that the boxes were damaged and couldn't be delivered. I received an email stating that my order had been delivered. After several days of calling the phone # and never being able to get through, I finally spoke to someone who had no record that my item was not delivered. They said they would credit the delivery charge and resent my bed, oh, and give me a $30 gift card. LONG story short, finally on 9/19/18 my entire order has been delivered, after numerous calls. My credit for the delivery still has not been issued. I will NEVER order with IKEA again. Buyer beware.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

NEVER EVER buy from them again!! I don't know how to express my awful experience with my IKEA purchase. Terrible!! They (re)scheduled an order, three times, NEVER shown up. My renovation processed forced to be shut down, and my contractors had nothing to do. Want to call customer service? Forget about it. They put me on hold several times, literally, for more than 2 hours. (Two times they promised me to call me back, never happened!!) In the end, they apologized and offered me a 100 dollars gift card from their store. So insulting. My purchase was more than 10,000 dollars. I'm from Sweden and used to work with IKEA, but here in Canada, just go to Wayfair and Home Depot. They are super supportive, on time, and reliable. At least in my case.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Terrible online company, they have no idea what they are doing. Stores maybe nice but online it's terrible. Always late, delivery people need signature and you don't know when they are coming. Phones not working. Website crap.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING AT IKEA! If you ever require customer service you will be on hold for an hour plus. I had to call them on 3 different occasions over a 2 month period and each and every call I was placed on hold for over an hour. When I spoke to a customer service person, I told them of the extremely long wait, they said they were aware of the problem. I just called again and got a voice message said due to the extremely high call volume, I would have to call back later and then got disconnected. Obviously management at IKEA cares only on sales volume and has no concern about customer support.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Ikea in the US is the worst company ever. Never shop there. I spent about $5000 there at three different time. Each delivery has been delayed, when rescheduled items were always missing. I spent each time I call them 1 hour on the phone before to have the chance to speak to a representative who never had solution. The missing items were sold out and I am still not refunded. I ask for a appointment to install the kitchen, never heard back about it. Today, Ikea does not pick up any phone call anymore. I have still a fridge and hotplate missing (about $1000) and no way to speak to anyone as the emails on their website are not working neither. It has been 2 month that I am waiting to have a kitchen. If you want to eat hot someday, never shop your kitchen there (or anything else).

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

IKEA provides one phone number for all of their customer service. This covers the entire United States and is run out of one call center, I was told by an associate. Fantastic. I wanted to return a large bookcase I purchased online, but couldn’t get through on the phone, so I had to drive 50 miles to my local store to arrange the return. The delivery company picked up the return (I paid for that) and over a week later, I have not had the refund. No acknowledgment that they received it, nothing. I cannot get through by phone to find out where my refund is. They keep saying the call lines are busy and to call back.

Seriously, I’ve called over 20 times now, at different times of the day on different days of the week and they never answer. Forget trying to leave an email, they never return it. I now have to drive another 50 miles back to the store to resolve this issue. How green is that, IKEA? They pride themselves on sustainability, but because of their terrible phone support, I bet others have to do the same thing. This company has serious logistics problems and I would seriously hesitate before making a large purchase here.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I ordered a bed frame and mattress through the Ikea website on 9/6 and chose the earliest possible delivery date, 9/14. I got an email saying the order departed on 9/11 and then on 9/14 the order never shows up. I call the delivery service and they say that they couldn’t find the boxes so they left without it and that if they can’t find it by Monday they would call Ikea. I then called Ikea and they said that they would try to find the lost items but they could not provide a time frame. Will never order anything through Ikea again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I will not even give them a one-star rating. IKEA store 399 in Burbank CA uses a delivery service called T-Force Final Mile. They delivered and installed a wardrobe planner to my house, they damaged my ceiling and stole my husband’s car keys. I have never experienced the level of unprofessionalism until I dealt with T-Force employees. The unfortunate thing is that IKEA continues to do business with them and does not advise their customers that they are using a third party deliver and installation service.

I made the purchase in the store and was not advised by the sales rep that my delivery and installation will be done by another company other than IKEA. I was not provided with the name of the delivery/installation company so that I can do my own research as to who is going to be completing my order. I would not have agreed and paid for T-Force Final Mile to complete the delivery and installation after reading the reviews on their site through Google search.

This company is a very bad reflection on IKEA. T-Force Final Mile employs people that are thieves with no background checks. My husband’s car keys were missing right after they left and his car has been stolen 4 days later parked right in front of our house. I have filed a police report and reported the incident to T-Force’s customer service and IKEA, however no response to date from either company. IKEA is a reputable company why they continue to use T-Force Final Mile for their deliveries and assembly is questionable.

Some of the reviews on the Google search site are from over a month ago, complaints such as orders being undelivered, damaged, even similar reviews that T-Force Final Mile should not be used by IKEA. I hope my review will help other consumers and this will be taken seriously as IKEA and T-Force Final Mile are not doing anything to make sure that the satisfaction and safety of their custom meet and on top of their business operational priority.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I ordered one single item online on 8/18, and was told that it would come on 8/23. 8/23 came by, and no package came. On 8/27, I was told that it was late, but the delivery was now being handled by FedEx, and would come within the next 5-7 business days. 7 business days passed, and still no package. I called customer support to find out more information, but all they could tell me was to talk to the resolutions department. Yet, every time I call, I get a message that they are “experiencing higher than normal” activity, and my call is subsequently dropped.

It’s now 9/13, and I still have absolutely NO idea where my package is. I find it absolutely ridiculous that I am forced to jump through all these hoops to try and fix IKEA’s own problem. I have woken up at 6 AM to call the resolutions department - the call line opens up at 9 AM EST and I live in LA - yet my call STILL gets dropped due to higher than normal activity. Ikea, if every hour is higher than normal activity, then that is normal activity, and you need to be prepared to handle it. My one item is now over 3 weeks late, and I’m still completely in the dark. I’ve emailed customer support too, but have not yet received a response. This is the absolute worst customer support I have ever experienced. Never order online from Ikea.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Ordered some new furniture for a flat I'd just moved in to. The delivery did not turn up on the day we were allocated. Tried to contact IKEA (near enough impossible - the only way is through a live chat in which you have to queue for ages). We eventually got through and were told the delivery had never been processed, despite us being given a delivery date AND time slot (time booked off work for this). They re-arranged the delivery but the soonest they could do was a week later.

We waited the extra week, again having another delivery date and a time slot, and AGAIN no delivery. What's worse is IKEA do not bother to contact you regarding any problems/ issues they are having with delivery so you are left oblivious and waiting for your delivery as arranged. Another hour wasted queuing in the live chat to be given no real explanation to this other than 'delivery problems'. We gave up and canceled our whole order. Absolutely disgusting service and an unnecessary, stressful few weeks during what is meant to be a happy, exciting period of moving into your first flat! I would strongly advise everybody to never order from IKEA.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I went to IKEA to buy a bed frame & mattress. I asked an employee for help with the bed frame box and they said that they couldn't help me. It was all self serve. I had to pull the box off the shelf, wheel it to the checkout and then load to my car. Unfortunately, it wouldn't fit in my car so I had to stand in another line to schedule delivery. I paid extra for a specific delivery time (8am-12). Day of delivery they showed up at 7:30 pm. I had purchased tickets to a show and plans with friends that I missed because of this delivery issue.

Next day, I try putting the frame together and it was damaged. I call IKEA to get a refund on the extra I paid for on delivery and to find out what to do about the damaged bed. First, they tell me I was out the delivery money because they didn't run the delivery company. Second, I could have a refund but they don't do pick-up so I would either have to bring the bed in myself or use the delivery company. I was livid. I said your product is defective and I have to pay for pick up??? They were rude to me in the store and on the phone even though both issues were on them. I ended up giving the bed away to someone who could fix things. I'm still mad that I had to paid money to see a show and missed it because of the delivery... Even though I paid extra (and not just 10-15 bucks... Closer to $100).

I also had to spend my whole day sitting at home on a Sat when I do all my errands. And, IKEA was so rude... Not one apology for the damaged bed and that I WASTED my whole day waiting when I paid extra not to have to. Dealing with IKEA is absolutely one of the worst experiences I've ever had. They are awful and I tell everyone I can not to go there.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have NEVER experienced such terrible customer service from a company before. After going to IKEA I was not given all of the boxes by an employee for the dresser that I purchased. I discovered once I got home and opened all my boxes was only given 3 out of the 6 dresser drawers for my dresser. It has been two weeks I still have not gotten the dresser drawers delivered to my home.

I have been transferred to more departments than I can name over the past two weeks. I have collectively been put on hold for over 2 hours over the past two weeks. And NOW they cannot find my dresser draws to be delivered. ALSO you MUST have someone at your house to deliver anything from this company. I will NEVER do business with this company ever again and I advise everyone else to know that the customer service at IKEA is among the worst I have ever dealt with. I am not blaming any specific worker. I am saying the company's customers service overall is absolutely terrible.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Purchased and received one Hemnes dresser and one chest of drawers. After assembling the units, I opened the boxes to assemble the drawers only to find all the drawer wood contained pine tar (my evaluation) on the surfaces. When I called, they readily agreed to replace the wood. Two weeks, hours on hold and many, many calls later (when I could get thru to a human), I still have no idea when I will receive the replacement wood. According to the dates of similar product complaints on the web, it seems this product defect has been around at IKEA for over a year. Today I call Customer Service and only get a busy signal. How many problems do they have? Poor quality control AND poor service. Why go back?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Ordered a bed online. Headboard came damaged. When I call the main number to reach customer support I get a message saying they are too busy and I need to call some other time. They do not take your number in order to call you back. I have seen reviews online where people have tried to call for days with no luck. I have a half built bed and have no idea what to do next.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

l ordered a wardrobe and some other pieces online. The delivery was incomplete. The delivery guys wouldn't let me write on the docket what was missing so l scribbled "incomplete" alongside my signature and they weren't happy with me. l had already listed on their other copy what was missing so they had given me the second sheet to sign. They told me to phone Ikea and it would be sorted out. l have been on the phone waiting for someone to speak to me for 44 minutes now. No warning of any delays and no indication of how long l will have to wait. To add insult to injury the music l am subjected to is horrible.

And to add insult to injury: l bought the tallest Vikanes wardrobe doors @ £60 each and an alert showed reminding me that l needed hinges too, so l bought those @ £10 each. Looking at the website today l see that if you buy the Vikanes door "with hinges" it is £65. The Vikanes door on its own is £60 and the hinges on their own are £10. Seems l paid £10 more than l need have done. l will NEVER, EVER buy anything from Ikea again unless it is off their shelf and in my car. On-line is a poor service. WILL I EVER GET TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE AT CUSTOMER SERVICES? Your guess is as good as mine.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

If I could post this review with zero stars I would. It's inconceivable that it would take 2 weeks of calling, multiple times every day to finally talk to an actual customer service agent to tell them that the mirror I ordered was delivered cracked. It's bad enough that the mirror wasn't delivered during the 1st delivery window although it was included in the tracking info and supposedly on the delivery truck. This happened after I was on hold for 1 hr. & 54 mins to reorder the mirror. FIRST AND LAST TIME I'LL PURCHASE FROM IKEA.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I bought an Arkelstorp Desk in IKEA Belfast and assembled it yesterday. All the parts were there but the instructions (37 steps) were not clear and we found one of the legs was badly cracked. When I tried to contact IKEA to get a replacement there was no phone number given for the Belfast store and the customer helpline had a waiting time of 45 minutes. So, I emailed them and tried to upload a photo of the leg. A message said the image was too large and so I had to reduce the size and then start the whole process of entering my details again - from scratch. I have wasted over an hour of my time on an issue where IKEA is at fault. I have noticed over the years that the quality of IKEA products has deteriorated, they now use plastic instead of metal and the range of solid wood products has diminished greatly. I will use IKEA only sparingly in future.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased several furnitures online with IKEA a while ago. I am not going to go into details, but I do like to share that my shopping experience was horrific from A to Z mostly due to the terrible customer service. The furniture themselves (when they finally arrived) was easy to put together due to clear instructions, but the shopping process was bad due to poor communication between the online customer service employees; at one point I thought the furnitures (one three sectional sofa, two shelves, nesting tables, and a couple of lamps) were lost.

I enjoy shopping online and I am used to great customer service, especially from management. When I stated my concern to one of the IKEA supervisors, she responded condescendingly and canceled my order without me requesting it. It was such a mess. Since then I have furnished seven of my new offices, and one new home. I am thinking that I am so lucky I did not go ahead that time ordering all the new furniture for my new offices and home from this awful shopping website, but instead from a much more professional shopping website(s) with excellent customer service. I do not recommend IKEA online shopping.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

They have lost our product and have not refunded our money. This is going on a month now. For 2 weeks we have been trying to get a hold of customer service without any helpful luck. I wish someone would read this and get a hold of us. I have never had any problems with any other company getting the product I ordered or getting my money back.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I called IKEA with a question about a countertop that I wanted to cut before I decided to order it. Spoke to a kitchen service rep who was beyond helpful and told me I could have it delivered, no problem! Ordered the countertop on August 11, 2018, giving me 16 days to get delivery of in stock before I had to go back to work. Plenty of time, right??? WRONG. I was informed that I had to be present to sign, even though I asked to waive the signature, because they wanted to deliver the item on my 4th day back to work.

After spending over two hours on the phone Tuesday trying to get the delivery date changed, I spoke to someone at IKEA and thought I managed to switch the delivery from Thursday to Friday. Got an email Wednesday stating that delivery was all set... for Thursday!!! What??? Spent another 2 hours calling and getting kicked off the phone with "higher than normal call volume" and eventually ended up driving to the store in South Philadelphia, where I waited in line for almost 45 minutes.

Finally spoke to a wonderful employee who promised to help resolve the situation. Unfortunately, after 2 messages to us and 3 returned phone calls begging for assistance, I am still without my items, but IKEA has had my money since August 11, 2018 and has not called me back. It is September 9, 2018. I am shocked, disgusted and beyond frustrated that an international company runs its business this way.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Hi I'm Santhosh from Hyderabad, today I'm totally dissatisfied with food provided in IKEA restaurant. I ate veggie balls. It doesn't taste good. It's like eating plain vegetables without masala. My suggestion is provide Indian varieties and arrange one excellent cook from reputed hotel...or recruit candidates from nearby hotel management institutes. And I ate mango cake. It tastes like medicine tonic... Most of the people were just thinking why he have taken this food and not eating...simply leaving. Even beverages also not good.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Had I known the delivery company IKEA works with and its telephone support network was so sub-par, I would have saved myself the 4 hours I spent waiting for my order today and simply gone to the store. After not receiving any update on my order past my due delivery time, I called IKEA customer service only to be informed that my item had not been collected that morning. If that was the case, it would have been really considerate had someone contacted me to let me know rather than leaving me to wait all day and requiring me to call up to find out where my items were. Sandy, the customer service representative I called then assured me my items would be delivered on Monday evening and I would be able to receive a shipping refund if I stayed on the line.

Of course, as soon as she tried to transfer me the call dropped so I spent a further 50 minutes on hold trying to reach a new representative only to be told it wasn’t IKEA’s responsibility but the shipping company and I would have to reschedule directly with them. I’m absolutely disgusted with the level of customer service I have received from the company and the company IKEA uses to ship your products. As far as I am concerned, I paid IKEA for my order and my shipping, therefore it is IKEA’s responsibility to deliver my order in full at the scheduled time and if not, IKEA should have let me know instead of wasting my day. It’s not long till my baby is due, the furniture I ordered was for the nursery and I’m supposed to be having friends around tomorrow to help me set up everything and have fun getting ready for the arrival of my baby.

I am so upset and disappointed that I have to cancel this due to IKEA’s incompetence. The items I ordered from Target and Walmart on the very same day arrived over a week ago... and the shipping was free. This is absolutely the last time I ever order anything from IKEA online and the experience has left me feeling so let down I honestly don’t think I ever want to give any money to this store again. As a European, myself and my family have always used IKEA furnishings for our homes, and my husband has furnished several rental properties with IKEA products but in the future I think I’ll be relying on more reliable businesses who can actually follow through with a promise once taking my money.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

If you are relatively handy I understand the draw of ordering from IKEA, but please please please reconsider, especially in the NYC area. I initially started having trouble with Ikea over trying to order online. It kept giving me an error message. So I went to a store and ordered. Then proceeded to spend 40 min waiting online to pay for a piece of paper.

Fast forward 2 weeks later, the day I am supposed to get my delivery through XPO delivery. I call 3 hrs into my 4 h r window, that they confirmed the day before. The representative at XPO proceeds to tell me that "my truck has no driver". WTF?I mean seriously what does that even mean? Are you not a delivery company?? When asked when I will get it, no information and the rep basically put me back in phone tree hell where the wait time was 30+min.

Update... 2 hrs later... finally got through to Ikea "resolutions" department. Ikea Brooklyn uses XPO deliveries. They are a ** company (excuse the language, but the mildest adjective I could think of after 3 hrs on the phone). They put the Ikea representative on the phone for an hr... Finally "found" my order after telling the Ikea rep that it had not yet been unloaded. But the person at the New Jersey warehouse had to take her dinner break so she would call me regarding rescheduling. Rescheduling will not happen this weekend. It will not happen during the week and it may not happen next weekend. I was worried about how much to tip them when/if they came, now I am wondering if they should pay me.

Please please please reconsider ordering anything from Ikea to be delivered. I am a New Yorker and I live the pedestrian life unless I have to drive, I don't. But sometimes it is not worth the sheer aggravation on spending 4 hrs on your phone on a Saturday afternoon asking where 700+ dollars worth of merchandise has gone to and after all that still not being given a direct answer.

NOTE TO NY IKEA: DO NO USE XPO deliveries. Apparently two of your other New Jersey Stores have stopped using them and apparently your deliveries have been backed up for months. There must be other delivery companies and really it reflects badly on you as the seller having taken my money and being unable to definitely answer as to the location of your own merchandise because your shipper is a hot mess.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I ordered a sectional online and scheduled a Saturday delivery a few weeks in the future. I had absolutely no problems with my order and delivery. I was really concerned after reading these terrible reviews but XPO in North Carolina was perfect. Their robot called the Friday before, giving a 4hr window. The driver called 30 mins before the actual delivery which was in the window. Some miscellaneous complaints about the website. IKEA is not designed for e-commerce. They are a big box store. The customize your couch tool is cool but it only works in IE. Additionally, once you're done customizing, the site provides you a 10 digit code to add all the components to your cart. When you get to the cart to enter the code, they only allow 9 digits. Complete waste of time. You need to write down all the items and add them individually.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

On August 12, 2018, I ordered a bookcase. It arrived in two boxes, one with half of the bookcase and the other with half of a TV stand. We contacted IKEA, after two days of being put on hold for hours, we finally got through. We were told that IKEA would pick up the TV stand box and deliver the correct half of the bookcase September 7, 2018. We did not receive a notice of the four-hour delivery window today, so we contacted IKEA and was assured by Cortney that the bookcase would be here between five and nine tomorrow. She provided a number to a shipping company and we tried the number provided.

The main office of the shipping company is closed now, but we were able to talk to a very nice man, who informed us that we needed to call IKEA. There is no shipment or pickup scheduled for my address in their system. We tried to call customer service at IKEA, but all we get is a recording, saying they are too busy to take any calls. REALLY? This was my first order from IKEA. It is also my last.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My fiancé and I have been TRYING TO GET OUR IKEA KIVIK SOFA delivered by XPO LOGISTICS for THREE MONTHS NOW! We have both taken days off work to wait fruitlessly for this Ikea item. We have wasted at least 48 hours cumulatively, making useless calls to busy and/or non working circuits, being put on hold by dozens of Ikea and XPO customer service reps (many of whom were very helpful, but apparently unable or unauthorized to resolve this problem) and waiting at home for supposedly "Confirmed" deliveries.

We've been alternately told by IKEA and XPO that our ORDER WAS INEXPLICABLY CANCELLED, that the sofa in question is unavailable or sold out, that this was actually not correct and that a new Kivik sofa had been reordered, that "Both" of our sofa orders had been processed and routed for delivery, that neither sofa ever made it to the warehouse, that the second sofa we ordered was on a truck, that we would be called XPO driver half hour before delivery (on 9/4/18), that our reordered sofa was not on a truck (on 9/4/18), so we therefore should not have waited at home from 9 am to 7 pm for it, that our sofa might be in the XPO warehouse or not, that our sofa was en route, that this sofa was delayed on the truck, that our sofa is not coming etc, that our sofa could be arriving as late as 9 pm, etc., etc., etc.

Over the past THREE MONTHS, we have been DISCONNECTED MULTIPLE TIMES from various phone calls, had MULTIPLE LONG CONVERSATIONS about this KIVIK sofa and its various supposed eta(s). We have waited for promised callbacks and emails that never happened, have been transferred to various supervisors, coordinators, customer service specialist and customer service reps, who either stated that are unable to help, or simply didn't pick up, and have been given multiple delivery confirmations and suggested times for drop offs that never happened! We also went ahead and threw out our old sofa, to make space for our new Ikea purchase, so we are making all of these calls at the kitchen table, while looking at a big empty space where our sofa should be!

BELOW IS A TIMELINE WITH DETAILS: 06/27/18: Ordered and paid for KIVIK sectional sofa at IKEA New Haven (Store 213). Sales Associate who helped us suggested that we have the sofa shipped, so decided to add payment for delivery. 07/16/18: Made multiple phone attempts and IKEA and XPO logins to confirm delivery ETA for the following day. Non-working circuits, busy signals, long hold times made ikea reps virtually unreachable. Ditto XPO. 07/17/18: Confusing delivery tracking information includes confirmation that the sofa will be delivered PRIOR to the date that it was ordered.

07/17/18: Took the day off work to wait for the sofa 9 AM to 9 PM. Multiple phone calls to IKEA and XPO Reps, in which we were told many contradictory stories, then finally told that the sofa never made it to the warehouse, and that the order had been cancelled by IKEA with no explanation. We were never at any point contacted directly by anyone from IKEA or XPO about this, and had to initiate all contacts and attempts at understanding and resolving the situation. 07/18/18: Non-working circuits, busy signals, long hold times made IKEA reps virtually unreachable. Ditto XPO. 07/19/18: Non-working circuits, busy signals, long hold times made ikea reps virtually unreachable. Ditto XPO.

07/20/18: many hours spent on the phone with both IKEA and XPO. XPO states that the sofa is not at the warehouse. Resolutions rep at IKEA is very helpful, but there is no follow up regarding delivery status. No one has reached out to us at any time with any information about the cancellation. Successful effort to place a reorder via IKEA new haven (213) although we are asked to PAY FOR THIS NEW COUCH IN ADVANCE OF OUR REFUND FOR THE INITIAL CANCELLED ORDER. 07/20/18: IKEA Central Customer Delivery gives estimated delivery as 08/07/18. Slot 9 AM to 9 PM. CUST SERVICE REF **. 07/26/18: IKEA site tracking confirmation and status reads: 06/27/18 Thank you for your order. We will begin processing shortly. 07/12/18 Order has shipped from the IKEA distribution center. 07/25/18 Order has arrived at the local delivery company. 07/26/18 Order has arrived at the local delivery company.

08/07/18: NO SOFA DELIVERY! More time off work, more time spent on phone calls, more runaround, more hours of transfers, holds, busy signals, etc!!! Wasted day and still no IKEA KIVIK sofa! 08/10/18: Booking date given for REDELIVERY - 09/04/18. Followed up by making more phone calls to both IKEA and XPO and emails to confirm that delivery date will be 09/04/18. 08/31/18: Sent email to IKEA to confirm delivery date 09/04/18. 09/03/18: Communication sent by XPO to confirm that delivery was scheduled for 09/04/18. Left Labour Day vacation early in order to return home to wait for the delivery next day from 9 AM to 9 PM. 09/04/18: Still no sofa delivery! More time off work, more time spent on phone calls, more runaround, more hours of transfers, holds, busy signals, etc!!! Wasted day and still no IKEA KIVIK sofa!!!

Took the entire day off work to wait for the delivery. IKEA tracking states the delivery is being processed. Made a mid-day call to XPO Logistics Rep, am nearly an hour on hold to reach a Rep, after explaining the situation, the Rep puts call on HOLD again, in order to speak with XPO Warehouse Manager and/or Driver. After about 30 more minutes on HOLD, I am told that my KIVIK SOFA is on the truck, and the driver has been given my cell phone number in order to contact me half an hour before delivery. I'm also told that the delivery is scheduled for between 12 NOON and 4 PM, the Driver may be delayed as XPO's load is heavy (ummm really just want my SOFA!) and that the truck could arrive in Hudson ZIP 12534 as late as 9 PM.

At about 5 PM, with NO sign of driver, truck or sofa in sight, called XPO again, waited on HOLD, and then spoke to a supervisor (who is helpful and understanding but apparently not located in my area). She attempts to contact the XPO warehouse or delivery coordinator, and puts me on HOLD for 40 minutes (kept screenshots with call duration for these waits). She then comes back on the line to tell me that she was immediately disconnected from the warehouse when the coordinator picked up, which I assume to assume was either due to phone issues or (more likely) an intentional hang up. She also offers to reconnect my call to the warehouse, but is hesitant to stay on the line with me, due to the amount of time the HOLD could take.

After another 40 minute wait, I am told that there was another "disconnected" call, and that the sofa may not actually have been picked up from the warehouse. No contact of any kind from Driver, XPO, and no info avail on IKEA tracking. Have now spent 10 hours waiting for and making phone calls regarding this IKEA KIVIK sofa. Ikea's customer service resolutions center is totally unreachable for most of the day, until I get message asking me to leave a message for a return communication within five days!!! 09/05/18: THERE HAS BEEN ZERO FOLLOW UP FROM XPO AND NO FURTHER INFORMATION OF ANY KIND FROM IKEA!!!

09/06/19: Over two hours on phone with XPO Logistics. Placed on HOLD for up to 20 minutes at a time, transferred to a series of 5 different XPO customer service reps who placed us on hold in order to "communicate with the warehouse", then transferred the call to another rep, each of whom had absolutely no idea what the issue was. More time explaining the situation. Told at one point that the merchandise was actually NOT in the warehouse yesterday, and that it is not XPO's "fault" that the delivery was not made. Final outcome: the earliest delivery they can schedule is September 11th, but there is "no guarantee" that the delivery will take place! Outrageously atrocious customer service experience from two huge companies, IKEA and XPO. If only it were possible to leave ZERO stars...

IKEA expert review by ConsumerAffairs

IKEA has gained a cult following thanks to its affordable pricing and multifunctional pieces. The company is continuing to franchise locations, and there are entire websites that are devoted to how to use IKEA furniture in your home.

• IKEA Family program: The IKEA Family program is free to sign up and gives you exclusive access to promotions and special sales. Some of the benefits include free tea or coffee at the store restaurant and 90 day price protection.

• Worldwide locations: IKEA stores can be found across the globe in 41 different countries operating more than 330 stores including franchises, with more locations being added all the time.

• Multiple delivery options: IKEA flat-packs its boxes for easier transport, but if you don't have room to take your new furniture with you, delivery by truck is available for a flat fee. You can combine several items into a single shipment for the same price.

• Business furniture: While commonly thought of as a residential furniture store, IKEA also has a variety of items for businesses at affordable price points.

• In-store restaurant: In many IKEA stores they provide an IKEA Restaurant that features Swedish-style cuisine so you can take a lunch break or grab a quick snack to improve your shopping experience.

• Best for: Cost-savvy shoppers, families, DIYers and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs