3.4/5 (581 ratings)

About IKEA

IKEA Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: June 25, 2021

I was scheduled for 1 day and they never showed. Told the day was wrong (even though they confirmed the day before). So after waiting whole day and 1 hour on phone to get a person, no one came. Next week get a call the day before, confirming delivery. Called 2x and yes they are coming and after 2 1/2 hours on the phone, still no show or no call. DO NOT USE THEIR DELIVERY SERVICE!!!!

Original review: June 22, 2021

Poor customer agents. No knowledge and full of lies and false information. One customer agent even hung the call. Bad delivery and no responsibility. Customer care numbers have very unusual long wait hours just to be greeted with all false irresponsible answers. I wish I can give a negative star. Total nonsense.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Truthfully the worst customer service any customer has ever provided. I placed an order on May 13 w/ a delivery date for May 14 (they followed up with a confirmation and everything.) The next day I was waiting for the furniture to be delivered during the entire delivery window they had given me -- the window came and went and no furniture was delivered. Never received a phone call/text (as was supposed to happen). I then tried to call customer service, sat on hold for an hour and by the time I got through the line was told they were closed and was hung up on. Then received a text that said my delivery failed because I wasn't home. I then rescheduled my delivery a total of FOUR times, each time was "failed" because I wasn't home -- which I was home every time.

They then marked the delivery as completed on June 4 -- which it was not. I eventually just purchased what I needed elsewhere (which was better quality -- might I add), and when I tried to call to get my money refunded I waited for an hour to speak to a representative and when I finally reached someone they hung up on me....then had to wait on hold for another hour. Honestly, if you're gonna shop here, make sure you're doing so in a way where you don't have to deal with any people because they don't help at all.

Original review: June 11, 2021

Worst delivery service one can imagine. They don't have an accurate system to track your orders' status and customer service wants you to contact third party delivery company for any issues after waiting an hour on the line. Supposedly, the website should allow you to cancel/reschedule your order but since the order status is not accurate, it's not even feasible. If you're willing to go to store, go ahead but don't BOTHER delivery service assuming it's convenient.

Original review: May 15, 2021

Made e-gift card purchase on Ikea.com and they redirect to CashStar...Don't do it. Never received card and CashStar and IKEA never refunded amount taken from my account. Have requested Ikea and CashStar to refund. Escalated to Attorney General of state. Don't buy e-gift card on Ikea.com

Original review: May 12, 2021

Purchased over $400 in product today for pickup. Upon arrival I parked and checked in at the site noted on the parking spot. The employee they sent to my car said that items were missing from my order. I drove around front to speak to "customer service". After driving over 80 mi because this particular location had 4/5 of the items I wanted to purchase, "customer service" told me that I would have to come back to pick up the missing item because they could not access them during store hours. If you as a business cannot provide the service you advertise, just don't. IKEA needs to offer NEXT DAY CURB SIDE SERVICE to ensure they can do what they say they can. Phone "customer service" was just as "helpful", useless.

Original review: May 10, 2021

My experience with IKEA- Sofia, Bulgaria:

1) Unprofessional, rude and aggressive consultants who are late for booked consultations.
2) They delivered us a damaged refrigerator and blamed us for the damage without any evidence. They refuse to change it or return our money.
3) Twice they took money from two debit cards for installation and denied that they had done so, as well as to return my money.
4) For one kitchen we had to travel 9 times to the store and in the end we were given the wrong design, which led to the placement of sockets and openings in the kitchen in the wrong places.
5) Sellers hide their names.

6) The customer contact phone switches itself off if we want to speak Bulgarian. If we want to speak English, it is still impossible, because the operator answers only in Bulgarian.

I will never shop at IKEA again.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Loose parts thrown in back of car, no box. Drove 3 hours home and parts missing. Other furniture broken. Was told by Ikea rep to throw away furniture and I would get refund. Five months later, no refund. I have called numerous times and told same story.

Original review: April 22, 2021

I decided on several items to purchase. Two were not available but when shopping nothing was indicated they were unavailable. The delivery price for the two items that were available with a total price of under $60 was $99 exorbitant. I will now have to search a totally different site for what I need. I also had quite a few other items saved for later for after I did a more thorough design plan. Guess I'll look elsewhere. Very disappointed!!

Original review: April 21, 2021

My first experience at IKEA will be my last. Saturday, March 20, 2021, I drove an hour and a half from my home to IKEA. I was so excited for my first time, as I am a huge lover of interior design and home decor. I went in after some research looking for some clear dining chairs. I fell in love with the TOBIAS chair and had my mind set on getting them. I looked on the website that morning to confirm they were in stock before my drive. After walking through the showroom and grabbing some additional cute things, I went to go and grab the chairs. I find the aisle and bin only to find bottoms and not the tops. I look around to make sure they weren't misplaced and go and ask a team member for help.

I looked again on the website, where it showed there was still availability for them. He looks at his tablet and it shows inventory on the chairs are 14. He walks me down the aisle and says, someone might have bought them and forgotten the bottoms that more chairs would be in on Monday. Disappointed, I returned to the showroom to see if any other chairs would work. I saw about 6-7 of the clear TOBIAS chairs on the floor and thought I would ask another team member if those can be sold since I made such a far drive. Again, to my disappointment, floor models cannot be sold unless they are discontinued. She said they can be ordered and shipped to my house, to go back to the self-serve warehouse and have someone build an order for them. I spoke with a manager, who waived the delivery fee, and said I can come pick them up the next day, Sunday, at the store, that they were getting another shipment.

So, one person told me Monday, another told me Sunday, the website shows availability on the chairs, and the inventory on the team members tablet showed availability as well. There is so much inconsistency. So, I go ahead and have the team member order the chairs for me to ship to my house since it was a far drive for me. The team member guaranteed the chairs would be delivered by Monday. I hadn't checked my email until Monday morning, to see an email from IKEA, excited, hoping it was shipping details. No, it's an email from SATURDAY, the day I put in the order, stating they are out of stock. The day the team member ordered them for me. So easily my money was taken but they weren't even available. AND to this day, I’m still waiting for them to return my money for them. I am appalled, disappointed and so unsatisfied with my experience with this company. I will never recommend or shop here ever again. Ever. This is so ridiculous.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Shopping online with IKEA India was a Pathetic experience...I ordered a set of four wine glasses...the delivery came with the product box open inside a brown box that was packed. One out of the set of four was broken. I wrote to the team and they called after two days and told me that since only one glass was broken they can’t replace the whole set, also they did not have a replacement for the one piece of glass that was broken. So they insisted I should take a refund for just one glass. That means I live with the incomplete set with 3 glasses and they give refund worth the cost of one broken piece, so I asked them to replace the whole set.

Does that make any sense? If I pay for a set I should be getting a set in proper condition in the first place. If not then the whole set becomes useless if one piece is broken. They don’t want to do that and expect the customer to bear the loss. IKEA was one of the brands I have always liked, and was quite excited to have their presence in India recently, but I never expected such a bad service from a brand like this. So people please be aware and refrain from online shopping from IKEA

India at least!!!

Original review: April 7, 2021

It is my first time ordering items from Ikea. I would love to provide 5 start review but unfortunately, IKEA has failed me miserably. I ordered a set of 6 pieces of cookware and 2 separate frying pan (7” and the other 9 ½”) so the total should be 8 pieces altogether. The order was placed on 03/25/21. When the order arrived at the FedEx location, I was never notified that the order is ready for pick up. I came by FedEx to pick up the order today 04/05/21. The box is extremely light for 8 pieces. I looked at the label and it said 2.1 lbs. I open up and only one item, a 9 ½ “ frying pan in there, which is one of 8 pieces. The rest of my items is unknown.

I called the customer service number. The ladies answered the phone and asked me if the items were supposed to ship to California. I told her no, the ending address suppose to be in Colorado. She then apologizes that she was reading the origin address and not the destination address. I told her the issue. She then proceeds to tell me this issue needs to go to tier 2 for an assistant. I have been on hold for a tier 2 person for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Scott was the tier 2 person I finally spoke to. After he took down my order number, name, email address, billing address, etc…He also asked what items I received and what I items were missing, then he said he need to create a case# and researching the issue. So I was back on hold again.

Scott came back and told me that the 6 pieces of cookware were on backorder and he does not know when they will be available. When I placed my order, the system didn’t inform me this item is on backorder. I asked him why the customer was not notified that part of the order is on backorder. And what happened to the 7” frying pan that is available but not ships together with the other 9 ½” I received in the box today. Scott does not have an answer to either of my questions. He said all he can do is ship out your 7” frying pan on 04/16/21, today is 04/05/21. I asked how will I know when the backorder is ship out or not, will I be notified. The answer is unknown.

IKEA charged my CC for the total amount purchased and let me chased after that them for items, not ship or on backorder. Furthermore, there is no chat online for customer service. When you call the customer service number 1-888-888-4532, the wait time to spoke to anyone is 1-hour plus. I would never purchase anything with IKEA again.

Original review: April 3, 2021

This was my first time ordering online with IKEA and as the Israelis said on the top of Masada: NEVER AGAIN! They took my money quickly enough but never sent the order. You can't get anyone on the telephone so now I have to tell my credit card company to do a charge-back. SHAME ON THEM!!!

Original review: March 29, 2021

After 4 delivery attempts "finally" got 7.3 items out of 28 ordered. 0 customer service, all promises with nothing being done in the end aside from wasting my time.

Unable to get this resolved even after over 10 calls, asked to cancel everything in the end as I just can't keep wasting my time over broken promises. Avoid delivery at all cost!!!

Original review: March 28, 2021

I ordered a rug today via click to pick up online. It defaults to any store that has it in stock not the store you have selected as your primary store. I therefore accidentally selected a store too far from me. I used chat to see if it could be changed. The chat agent did not speak my language and was rather rude about sharing the policy that they could not help me and I would not be able to have my money returned for up to 15 days! When I said this was unacceptable, I was give a customer service number. After a 10 minute hold. I was told I could be transferred to another return department. I was transferred and hung up on after I listened to a message saying they could not help me...I find this inconvenient and unjust. I want my money back today or tomorrow without a hassle. I’m not a bank and you cannot borrow my money for 15 days!! Until now I enjoyed IKEA for years...This is awful.

Original review: March 19, 2021

In November of 2020, I ordered an Alex drawer unit. The delivery was set for a month out ($50 extra for shipping). On the day it was to be delivered, a completely other item came instead (a desk). I promptly called IKEA to let them know that the wrong item had been delivered. A mix-up, these things happen -- and they initiated a refund while saying that I could keep the desk. Great. I had not received a refund well into January, almost a month and a half later.

I tried for several months to order the same item or another, larger Alex unit from the Atlanta store with no success. Finally, in March of 2021, the larger Alex drawer unit was in stock to order and the shipping was only a week out. So I paid the $50 shipping again, hoping this time things would be different. March 8 was set as the date of delivery. March 8th came and went. I thought "Hey! I'll just give it some time. That shipping did seem quick." So I waited a week, still nothing from IKEA or the delivery company. I called IKEA on Monday, March 15. They see that the items are with the delivery company and asked if I would like the number. I'm sorry but isn't that IKEA's job to track the order down and make sure it arrives?

I decide to be patient again and see if the order arrived that same day or the following day. When the order didn't arrive on March 16 either, I called IKEA AGAIN -- this time to get the name and number of the delivery company. I called the delivery company, waited for an hour or more but couldn't get through. So I find the delivery company, Pilot Air Freight, online. Using the IKEA tracking number, I look up the order through their site. They had the actual delivery set for Tuesday, March 16 after all, but it obviously never arrived. So I "rescheduled" the delivery for Thursday, March 18 for 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. Thursday came and went, still no update from the delivery company nor IKEA. So AGAIN, I call IKEA -- they say they will get in touch with the delivery company and CALL me back.

I did not receive a callback from either entity. So again, I called IKEA today, March 19. The resolutions department tries again to contact Pilot Air Freight. This time, IKEA says that the delivery company has lost the order or can't find it. My only recourse is to take a refund and try to track down the drawer at an actual store. I am completely frustrated by this point and the IKEA resolutions department refuses to put me through to someone who can help. Instead, I call back to get someone else -- this time, they tell me that the item will be discontinued in July, so there probably won't be any more in production. So in actuality, the likelihood of me finding one in the store or ordering again is futile.

So to recap. Order in November 2020, wrong item arrives, a refund takes a month and half. Order in March 2021, items never arrived, and spend countless hours tracking my order down only to find the delivery company doesn't have it and all IKEA can do is refund me money and tell me to go look for the items in a store. I’m completely skeptical that my refund will even arrive at this point.

My first inclination was to chalk it up to my expectations being too high. The way shopping online nowadays is and how quickly you can get things from Amazon, it’s easy to have high expectations. However, IKEA's support, ordering (giving stock indications online only for them to disappear or not actually be in stock), and their shipping practices are something more akin to the archaic online shopping of the mid-2000's. The problem doesn’t seem to be my expectations, but IKEA’s expectations of themselves, that they just can’t seem to measure up to.

Original review: March 15, 2021

Placed order including $35 blanket, was charged in full. Got email saying blanket was not available but was not refunded. Tried to email back - Ikea does NOT have an email for customer service. Went through chat. Chat immediately forces you to a service called “JustAnswer” — which CHARGES YOU $5.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Placed an order on February 18. Received order on February 24, but was missing three items- three of the same items. Nothing expensive, but I wanted them. Called customer service and was told I would be refunded for these three items within 7-14 days. No refund yet and it is ridiculous trying to get in contact with anyone. I will not purchase anything from them again.

Original review: March 9, 2021

By far the worst experience ever. I took the day off work for the delivery for it not to show up and to be told it might be one or two days more to arrive. Not sure when. Then asks me if they can deliver it to my work place like what’s the point of selecting home delivery. I don’t understand how they expect people to be okay with this kind of service. I will not recommend buying so much as a reusable shopping bag from this backwards company.

Original review: March 2, 2021

We purchased the Fabrikor metal and glass display cabinet in February 2021. We purchased it online and paid for shipping. It arrived and we put it together. The doors to not align. As others have mentioned, I went through the web of customer service on 2/21/21 and was told by a young man to destroy the cabinet, they could not take it back because of COVID, and he had ordered me a replacement that would arrive in 3-5 days and he would email me the order number. I kept checking my email, awaiting the replacement order number, which never arrived. I called Customer Service again on 2/23 and there was no record of this conversation on my original order number. The young woman I spoke with ordered me a replacement, provided me with an order number and told me that the replacement would arrive on 3/1.

On Saturday 2/27 I received two calls from the logistics company confirming my delivery for Monday. On Monday 3/1 I received a phone call letting me know that my delivery would occur in 30 minutes. It never arrived. I called Ikea that evening to inquire where the product was, initially I was greeted by a young man who left me on hold for about 30 minutes. Then I was greeted by a young woman who told me that the piece was on backorder and that it was never intended to arrive today. They told me that my only option now was to receive a refund. They cancelled my replacement order and said they are issuing me a refund. Stay away from Ikea. It's not worth it.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Having recently arrived as an international scholar in Chicago, I was in need of new furniture. But the hope that ordering from IKEA would be a fast and cheap solution turned out to be the completely misguided. What I experienced/am experiencing is the antithesis of fast and cheap. It is not fast ---- Currently I am awaiting the 5th attempt to deliver my order. What happened in 4 previous ones? Two things. First. After delaying the hour of delivery on the day of delivery, the delivery company would fail to show up. Without giving you a call, they will later on simply lie that nobody was present. Know that there is a custodian present 24/7 in the apartment complex who sees and receives everyone in front of the building. Second. The delivery succeeded but with a few single items of the almost 50 item order were being handed over.

Don't try to contact the delivery service yourself since you'll be put on a seemingly infinite time hold. I have never been able to reach them. The IKEA customer service is reachable but a complete disaster. Every time you contact them be prepared to spend more than 3 hours of waiting, being reconnected and thrown out of the system (after which you'll have to start all over).

It is not cheap ---- Four times I had to take time off work to be able to receive my order. Take that plus the hours of dealing with a Kafkaesque customer service. Then there is the fact that because of their incompetence to live up to the agreed delivery date I was forced for a month to sleep on a mat in my apartment improvising how to get through the day. Ordering at IKEA came with a much greater cost than the price of their goods.

Conclusion ----- I believe that what I'm experiencing is a cover-up on the side of IKEA. They are short in stock because of issues concerning the COVID-19 pandemic but are dishonest about it to the customers. Of course that still doesn't explain the delivery services and their utterly utterly deranged behavior. Maybe they are playing along or just never received any items.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

My wife purchased a product in early February. Twice I took a day off work because IKEA loves give super small 12 hour delivery window. Twice the product did not show nor did they ever call to set this straight.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

We began our Ikea kitchen design last October and it is now mid February. After purchasing the parts needed to build our kitchen, we have been met with a series of errors and crappy compromises. First off, we have an average sized kitchen and ordered basic cabinets and they still never got the order straight. We paid $79 for an official measurement and that measurement was incorrect. The excuse was new staff.... After 3 deliveries of random goods, delivered to the sidewalk in front of our house, we also had to go buy more parts and return wrong parts 9 times within a month and a half. All during a Global pandemic and no phone payments or orders taken. We had to travel south 40 minutes each time, go into the corn maze and pay and then drive 5 more miles east to their warehouse for pick up.

Our final plan shows the upper cabinets going to the ceiling but when they were building it out we were told that was not an option/not part of the plan? We used Traemand because supposedly they know how to build Ikea designs but they proved to be a huge disappointment and were a integral part of the confusion with all the conflicting parts we ended up with.

The final straw was that they built one whole side of our kitchen incorrectly. We could not open our fridge because the wall oven and microwave area was too close to the fridge door. Keep in mind we gave the Ikea designers and Traemand all appliance cut out dimensions in the design and build phase. The only resolution Ikea had was to have Traemand move our cabinets on that wall 2 inches to the right. This required that our countertop on that side be removed. American Marble works in conjunction with Ikea kitchens so we used them. Ikea would not agree to anything unless we came into the store once again and pay an additional $1300 dollars for a new countertop, in the event they could not use the original one. What could we do? We were stuck with appliances that could not be installed! We paid thinking they could reuse the piece since it was a simple cut that only needed to be shortened 2 inches on one side.

Traemand came back out and all fits somewhat but the appliances still look crowded on that side so not aesthetically pleasing. While waiting for American Marble to reinstall, they took forever to get back to us, insisted on a $225 measure appointment for that minor adjustment that could have been done on site. When I finally called and asked what the delay was they said the countertop for that side needed to be remade and it would be another 2 weeks. At this point I lost it. I questioned why they needed to replace that piece and they said they didn't know (I'm just a scheduler). I guess it's easy to just press that button and buy when the expense is on another person.

After sending a nasty email to the trio (Ikea, Traemand and America Marble), I was told by American Marble that they could actually reuse that countertop piece after all. Still 2 weeks to wait for a half hour install. I still haven't gotten a response from Ikea. Also, the Traemand carpenters had to Jerry rig an area on that messed up side so when Best Buy came to install the wall oven and microwave with trim kit, no go. It doesn't fit. Traemand excuse was we didn't use Ikea appliances. Funny appliances are all standard sizes and we weren't told any of that when we gave them the cut out dimensions over 3 months ago.

We since hired a Task Rabbit to come and resolve their screw up. I can't wait to have to go back into Ikea and try to get a refund for that additional countertop we paid for, The moral of this long story is you get what you pay for! I chose Ikea because I love the modern look and the price seemed good. In the end, it would have been better to see out a more professional, quality cabinet designer and builder. God knows what I will be paying for therapy and blood pressure medication in the future!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Would not purchase this again, has coil tops that fit unevenly, resulting in one half of the pots/pans getting more heat; it is very difficult to cook properly. came in the house I purchased. It is fine and gets the job done, however I wouldn't recommend others to purchase.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

IKEA's return policy was and may still be 90 days to get your money back not store credit. I return an item for 12 dollars on day 93 ... they refused to give me back what I had paid ... I got a card, and had to waste my time get some junk for $5 since there was nothing else had any need or desire for. This was about 4 years ago. I just found the card and threw it out. I used to spend over $300 a year at IKEA for several years but have never gone back because of this incident. They do not have many convenient locations either. A normal business would take into consideration the amount of a refund and how many days over some specified time is involved ... the gist being to retain customers, a policy which IKEA has proven to NOT be something they care about.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

This is for an Ikea stove top! My understanding is that Westinghouse makes these for Ikea. The Cooktop is well made, as scratch resistant as any glass top I've had previously and is about 1/2 the price. Great warranty (but I haven't needed to use it, so unknown if it actually works), appears to be nicely built.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Good Afternoon, 3 years ago I bought appliances from IKEA!! I am so disappointed of Appliance from IKEA and never will recommend to buy any appliances from IKEA!!! NEVER!! I bought dishwasher for nearly $1000!! Seriously $1000 dishwasher which was repaired nearly 7 times in 3 years!! Yep!! True!! The oven and microwave cost me also too much money!! MY mistake!! I bought the most expensive microwave and oven!! Really!! Never recommend!! I was even ok with those items!! BUT NO!! Listen to this!! My cooktop!! Yes!! MY mistake!! I bought induction cooktop from IKEA!!

On 7th day of December 2020 the half of cooktop stopped working!! There was a code F47!! I called customer service!! They schedule me for repair on DEC 22nd!! Yes!! Dec 22nd - just before Christmas!! I mentioned that I need someone to come with necessary parts to repair it!! EASY!! Right!! But NO!! It wasn’t easy and clearly for company hired by IKEA! The guy who came to my house said “Good Afternoon miss. When I come here I just realize that you need new .. to fixed! I just saw the problem to indicated on the paper this morning!!!” 'REALLY!!’ And NOW, today is 19th of JANUARY and nobody even contact me!!! NOBODY!!! My induction cooktop is not working for more than 1 month!! I WILL NEVER, NEVER RECOMMEND IKEA TO OTHERS!!! NEVER!! Don’t waste your money for IKEA!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Terrible customer service. Ordered a plant pot; paid a large shipping fee (didn't want to visit store due to COVID + it's an hour drive each way). Pot arrived wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap, knocking around in a huge box, broken in pieces. Took pictures, attempted to contact IKEA. Phone numbers looped into "We cannot take calls at this time due to high call volume, send us an email" with no option to leave message. No options to file claim online that matched the situation; no email contacts available online that I could find.

Finally filed claim for other reason ("Cancel Order") as I didn't know how else to get ahold of them. Got an email in response a couple days later from US_CSC_Aftersales @ ikea.com asking for info that I'd already provided. Sent them the info they requested plus picture of how the item arrived. Then nothing. Emailed again in a week. Nothing. Emailed again weekly after that asking about refund status. Still nothing. Ikea's customer service is terrible and I absolutely do not recommend. What a waste of money, on both the item and the ridiculously high shipping fees, all for a smashed item.

Here's the full email from Ikea, from email address US_CSC_Aftersales @ ikea.com: Thank you for reaching out to us. We are sorry for any difficulties that you may have experienced with your order. Please let us know which plant pot arrived broken. If you need additional assistance please contact us back. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you. Best Regards, Marie Customer Resolution Assistant IKEA US Customer Support Center Phone: 1-888-888-4532, 8am-10pm Monday-Friday, 9am-10pm Saturday-Sunday EST Email: s-ecommail-u-itusphi @ ikea.com

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

The product came damaged but not due to shipping, box was ok. There are obviously nicks that occurred before or during packaging. I have tried to call several times but the phone system hangs up on me. Tried email but the only option is to Cancel Order. The store is too far away to hassle with driving and waiting in line plus this wasn't that expensive. Just a bad experience but our last one with IKEA.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

The comparatively affordable prices with comparatively good quality and wide variety of products make it a good place to shop. The drawbacks are that you have to build many items yourself or may hire somebody to do so which increases the price and that a lot of their furniture is good until you move it.

IKEA Company Information