2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.42/5

IKEA Reviews

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I bought a table and 2 stools last year at Dec, but I only receive a tabletop now!!! I wrote emails for countless times try to seek help but didn't receive any reply!!! Later I spent almost an hour using phone to contact the customer service center... The staff told me I will receive my missing parts the next Monday. Now, it's only two days before Monday arriving, I still haven't receive any message or email telling me where is my package!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Brought a square floating box shelf which needed to be assembled with a simple assembly using an Allen key for 4 screws either-side. This clearly was a Faulty item as last screw dropped through not having a thread to tighten. Explained the issue, asked for refund with receipt and they refused as I opened the packet of screws as per their new policy which took effect on the 4th November 2019. Gave me value on a voucher card but that's not the point. I returned a faulty item with receipt. I should be allowed a refund.

I also brought a glass door to go with this box shelf which I have to purchase separately. I had opened the cellophane same time as trying to assemble the shelf (I did not assemble this item or remove it from its packing). As this item is not any use to me either without the shelf it affixes onto I expected this item also to be refunded however, as I had torn the cellophane. They wouldn’t allow this refund either as per the policy the customer service assistant stated I haven’t returned it in a resalable condition.

My argument was I was not aware I was purchasing a faulty item so why am I penalized for it and secondly your customers should be aware that anything they sell with cellophane that looks like clingfilm customers should not accept a refund? The assistant said, "That’s correct as per our policy." I asked to speak with the manager and she stated there was no manager on site for me to speak to. So my choice was a voucher only or nothing and gave me a compliment slip to complain (muttering nothings going to come out of it anyway). I sat in the car park outside Ikea thinking what's just happened? This is so unfair.

I decided to call Ikea customer service after searching online and they told me that there was nothing I could for about it because it's up to the store's discretion.

I asked for the telephone number for Ikea in Wednesbury so I could speak with the manager and they said I could not contact them over the phone because there is no number for me to call only an internal one for them. Therefore I would have to drive another day to ikea and hope the manager is there.

Despite advertising all over the store that there is 365 days return if you change your mind what they don't say is to not open the item and if it is faulty it maybe through customer handling therefore no refund would be given. Yes, technically they have given me a voucher however I still feel penalized for not receiving a refund when naturally anybody would have expected given those circumstances, receipt and all.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

For context, I like IKEA and have purchased many items from them and bought a house, in part, because it has an IKEA kitchen. But I would NEVER, EVER again try to have something delivered from IKEA. We ordered a closet more than a month ago and still don't have it. And no firm delivery date. Delivery services apparently do not come to your door, so if you miss the call (always from an unknown number that belongs to the driver) you're out of luck. Yes, that was our fault, but most delivery services I've had before call when they're en route so you have time to react.

They did not leave a message. We called back within 30 minutes. They'd already moved on and weren't coming back. Try to reschedule? They'll let us know when they get a truckload and are "in your area" again. We live off a major highway just over 100 miles from a store, but that's considered "remote." It would've been cheaper to rent a van and go pick up the items. If only we hadn't listened to their "it's as easy as that" promotion on ordering and delivery. IKEA reps are "sorry for the inconvenience" but seem to have no authority to get their stuff delivered once it's with the contract delivery service, in this case CRST STI.

A week and a half after the first attempt, IKEA sent an email with a new delivery date and a 12-hour window. I call that morning to see if I could get a better timeframe and was told it would not be delivered that day -- probably sometime next week. They don't know why the email was sent. Could I get a date and time? No. We have spent more than two hours on the phone trying to straighten this out and still have no delivery date. Now we must reschedule the contractor who was coming to install it. I will never have anything delivered from IKEA again, and I will think twice before shopping there.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I love IKEA but my experience shopping online has been a nightmare mainly because of their ridiculous customer experience on the phone. I've had to call few times to make changes or confirm changes to my order and every single time I've had to wait over 30 min just for someone to answer and then put me on hold again for 10-15 min more because they were not able to assist.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Horrible website and customer service. I spent so much time going through website, coming up with a design and putting it together then when I go to order it put X next to a few key items that showed available online. I had to wait 45 minutes for someone from customer service to pick up the phone and he couldn’t care less, telling me to pick something else! I spent days to put 70 items together and without the main items, I have to go back to the drawing board to start all over again. I have no confidence that the same thing will not happen again. So I will spend my $7000 somewhere else!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IKEA?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

We had two order numbers to buy a sofa from IKEA and had all kinds of problems. After we bought the 1st order on a "click and collect" basis, we went to the store to pick it up and found out that it had been cancelled by a staff member. We finally got the refund on November 28 after spending countless calls and time waiting on the IKEA customer service line. Since the store is far away from us we had to return home to order (we could not reorder at IKEA) it online. We arranged for delivery to our house. On the day of delivery, the driver did not have an important piece with him. For the inconvenience, we were given a $30 gift card (which we don't even want to use at this point).

As we tried to assemble the sofa, we discovered that the pieces were completely wrong so the sofa had to be returned. The shipping charges were waived. While I was building the replacement sofa however, I was using the IKEA wrench that came with the sofa and due to a small sliver of metal that was protruding I badly cut my finger. It took me quite some time to staunch the bleeding. IKEA was quite concerned and when they called back to get the lot no. of the wrench, I had to lift the sofa (alone) from one side to the other until I finally found the number that they sought. You would think that they would have appreciated that but no. They offered (another) gift certificate which I refused saying that after injuring myself, helping them discover this production issue and having to move a heavy sofa alone, I would have expected more. Thereafter I was called by an IKEA manager saying that they did not credit any money for injury because there was "no loss of money in a transaction". I found this to be rather surprising.

I was close to having to get stitches and after all of the time spent on the phone trying to call (they must have asked me to call back about 10 times with average wait times of 45 minutes), cutting myself and trying to help them by locating required information, I was astonished. I would have expected more.

But alas, IKEA has changed.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Horrible customer service - non responsive. Delivery date after 8 days of purchase. Promise to deliver on 26-12-2019 2 pm. I had to wait to receive the packages. No updates from customer service. At 5 pm, received a message about confirmation of delivery to be made in an hour. Call received from delivery person at 10 p!!! saying delivery is not possible. No genuine reason. Pathetic. Do not deliver to home please.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

So to preface, I have been a loyal IKEA customer for many years and I have a lot of IKEA furniture and other items. However, my most recent order was a disaster. I placed a “Click and Collect” order at IKEA.com and I awaited my order. The pickup time was given as 11am-8pm, and I called IKEA around 1:30pm to ask about the order. They said that the order was confirmed and that my order was ready for pickup.

I received an email a half hour later confirming that all my items were ready for pickup. But then, 30 minutes later, I received a call from the store saying that actually, my items were not in stock and that I would have to either refund my order or wait. I told them to give me a few minutes and I would make my choice, but when I called back to tell them that I wanted to wait, I discovered that someone had refunded the order without my knowledge and that they could not take orders over the phone, and on top of that, the store was not allowing any more “Click and Collect” orders. So now I cannot get my items, although they helpfully told me that they would be getting an order the next day. Their customer service is patient, but I found it unacceptable that they would cancel my order when I told them to hold off for a few minutes. I certainly would think twice about doing “Click and Collect” again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Ikea Charlotte NC charged us $69 on 11/10/19 instead of $49. When we realized that it was wrong in couple weeks later we went to the store to ask for a refund. They said they can't help and gave us this number to call 888 888 4532. When we called Ikea contact center they said that they can't help. We have to go to the store. We ended up not being able to get a refund. You have to be careful and double check the fees and receipts if you are shopping at Ikea as they are not willing to take care of the mistakes.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

BEWARE - IKEA removes bad review for their products from their website citing "policy violation" and refuses to explain which exactly policy does it violation when you talk to their customer service. This practice is as bad as quality of their products. So I'll post my experience with their product here for everyone to read. I know IKEA makes cheap furniture, I do not expect much. Believe me. But I was horrified how degraded IKEA quality over the years. I have a bookcase that I have purchased from IKEA about 10 years ago and it's a solid piece of wood, it's heavy constructed, still holding up fine. I wanted to replace it with two of these bookcases thinking that I'll be getting similar build level. I was so wrong.

I guess IKEA cut all possible corners in 10 years to make it as cheap as it can be to manufacture. It's so flimsy and unstable, the sides are not solid pieces but just a frame with think inserts. The bookcase is constructed in a such way that it can not be put flush against a wall if you have baseboard because the read "legs" do not have a cutout for it. Quality of woodwork is horrible - it's uneven, unrefined and plain bad. Two of my side boards are not even glued properly and sliding back and forth in slots. I'm not going to talk about the design because it's non-existent. Paint is as cheap as everything else and while it's called dark-brown it's in reality simply black probably for the purpose of hiding bad wood quality.

I will repeat again, I was extremely disappointed when I have unpacked the bookcase, this whole thing just screams in your face - CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. Now I'm not sure if it's worth wasting my time to try to put it together or I can just throw it away immediately. I wouldn't complain if it would cost you $50 but for $150 this is just a robbery in a daylight. I will never recommend to anyone to buy anything in IKEA from now on, IKEA quality went too downhill in the last years.

IKEA Company Information