1.03/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

198 Havertys Furniture Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 17, 2019

We bought white furniture (bedside table) for our bedroom. It absorbed the color from anything I put on it. We bought the Guardsman protection. We called and Havertys sent us to Guardsman. We thought they would come to look and give us another one but no! Guardsman sent a little man to spray paint the top in our bedroom! If we didn’t want it sprayed in our bedroom then my husband, who has stage 4 cancer would have to carry it outside so the little man could spray it out there. When we said no, he said Guardsman would say we refused treatment and they would do nothing. He was a third party contractor. I am appalled and will contact an attorney and the EPA and all social media I can.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Purchase a very expensive dining table and the wood is cracking and literally has a section of wood missing! Notified Guardsman and for once they said they would sent one of their technicians out. He came and said he wasn't going to try and fix the table but would just order a new table top. 12 days later we receive an email from Guardsman saying it's due to wear and wood can crack and their protection plan doesn't cover that damage. Only after their certified technician came out and last words were I will be ordering another table top. Took it Havertys Customer Service. They of course back up Guardsman.

Havertys furniture UNFORTUNATELY is not the QUALITY it use to be. Only the price of Havertys but DEFINITELY NOT THE QUALITY! I won't purchase Anything else from Havertys. However, I spoke with the Manager and the floor manager where I made the purchase but couldn't believe what happened. The Floor Manager literally said he truly believes it's a Havertys DEFECT. And it should be replaced. But apparently he couldn't make that call. He's absolutely RIGHT. It's a DEFECT. You can not only see it but you can see and feel it as well!!!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Purchased a $4600+ sectional (“the very best we have to offer” according to Dan, our salesman) at the Barrett Parkway location in Kennesaw, GA and are extremely unhappy with it. Leather is sagging heavily after 28 days of use and the “leather” scratches very easily...even from sitting down with Levi’s on. Called their “Top Shelf” customer service line and they stated they would replace or we could choose a replacement. Then, I receive a phone call from them that states they are cancelling the deselection due to the scratches from “animals”... We do not even have any animals. Typical corporate response from another crap company. What a waste of money!!! Photos below show sagging after 28 days of use. Don’t buy your furniture here and certainly DO NOT have Dan as a salesman!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I received a phone call today, just 2 days before I'm supposed to receive my delivery and I'm told that I won't be getting this piece of furniture today because something on the manufacturing end. I believe she said something about terrorist negotiations. It was so weird. So my husband is currently calling, and they said that I said I was satisfied with the free delivery. Um... no. You didn't give me choice. If this was on the manufacturer's end - this should have been flagged before 2 days. Absolutely awful.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Dodgy service with changing delivery times. The company changed the delivery time the day before delivery. Unfortunately, I couldn't be home at that time. I contacted customer service and they were very polite. However, no accommodations were made.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Havertys Furniture?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

DO NOT purchase this Beckett sectional. After less than 2 years in a house of 2 working adults this sectional's cushions do not hold back. Cushions are poly filled instead of foam. They lose their shape. Fabric is poor quality as well, lots of pilling. Warranty is only one year. I was told by Havertys that I could “purchase new inserts”. No thanks... Lesson learned. You get what you pay for.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I purchased the Corey Sectional in July of 2017. Less than 18 months (December 2018) later, part of the frame you would expect to be solid wood is in fact PARTICLE BOARD that is now completely broken so half of the sectional now sags to the floor. I paid over $1700 for a sectional made of PARTICLE BOARD! I am sick I didn't do my research before buying. I assumed that since the company has been in business for many years, it must be a good company.

I was offered the extended warranty, (which I declined), for things like replacing a cushion with a stain or a rip in the upholstery. I didn't realize I would need it because the furniture would break and be unusable. When I contacted customer service they said they would have fixed it if it had happened in the first year but I was out of luck. Too bad. Here's the number for the extended warranty people, they can fix it but I will have to pay them because Havertys doesn't stand behind their cheaply made furniture. Don't waste your money!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

2 years ago we moved to Savannah area & was purchasing furniture for our new retirement dream home. Had their design team come to our house & help with color & design. Purchased a sofa, 2 club chairs & foyer chest. Their team helped choose color & fabric for all. After a year the stitching on arm chair started slitting away, separating. Upholstery was getting dirty and when we called a cleaning company out they informed us that they couldn’t clean them because the fabric was dry clean only. No one buys upholstery that can only be dry cleaned! I had purchased extended warranty.

I called, their company came out & it was determined nothing could be done for stained upholstery or the material splitting. I’m 71 & my husband is 74. No family in area, no children visiting. No abuse to furniture. I complained to store who told me that it has to go through the warranty company. No help. Going to have to replace all and we won’t be going to Havertys. They don’t take care of their customers and they don’t stand behind their merchandise.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I have bought many pieces of furniture in Havertys. They always had great furniture, but they have GONE TO THE DOGS! Never again will I purchase something from them! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY! I bought a leather sectional sofa from Havertys in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. We rarely sat on it, so it took a few months to notice that it was absolutely no good! The cushions won't stay on... they slide out and you'll eventually end up on the floor if you don't get up to push them back in. You sink to the floor when you sit, and it already looks like it's 15 years old! I don't know why I didn't think to call them as soon as I noticed this. But, I went out and bought industrial Velcro to try to make the cushions stay in place because my previous sofa of 12-13 had Velcro... The cushions NEVER moved!

The Velcro came undone, so when I called Havertys I had the sofa for 14 months. They said there was nothing they could do about it because it was past a year. (But now I know it wouldn't have mattered because I've read such terrible reviews of how they didn't stand behind products after only a few months). We spent over $2000 on this sofa, and it looks HORRIBLE!!! The sofa has already been discontinued! Wonder why? After pushing, they sent someone out to take a look at it. The technician took pictures and told us that he recommended the sofa be replaced because it couldn't be repaired. He showed us what he wrote on his phone. I asked him for a copy of the report. He said he couldn't give us a copy. Go figure. He said Haverty's would contact us within an hour. We never heard from them.

After 4 DAYS, we contacted them. We were informed that the report said, "There are no defects." I called the salesperson at the store that I had also been in contact with. She continued to give me the run around... call this person, call that person. HAVERTYS DID NOTHING. WE WASTED OVER $2,000 on a sofa that looks like it came from the dime store! This company no longer carries the quality furniture they carried in the past. I never had any trouble before, but after reading all the other reviews, I see that they HAVE GONE TO THE DOGS as my experience was the same as many others! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! Go the Salvation Army and buy something for $50 instead rather than DONATE money to a company that could care less if you are satisfied!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

On March 8, 2017 I purchased just under $8,000 case in furniture from the Perimeter Store. My salespersons were Meredith ** and Steven **. I was also sold a furniture protection plan. I was told it would cover "anything" that should go wrong with my furniture. On one of my recliners the foam appears to have collapsed on the foot rest. I can't imagine it would cost more than $10 to replace the foam. At any rate I followed the procedure and made a claim. The claim was denied. The furniture protection is absolutely worthless just like the recliner. I have attached two pictures of the cushion failure. I was considering outfitting another bedroom in my house. I think I can get the same quality and service at Havertys' competition.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I purchased Lafayette Executive Desk from their Columbia Store. From the beginning the experience was unpleasant. It started with their salesperson making promises that they could not keep for delivery, I returned the delivery and then after their customer service calling me I accepted the delivery. Then the table electrical unit does not work and they sent their technician three times and finally recognized that the unit was defective.

Then they asked me to go to the store and select a different table, I have set up my entire home office by purchasing matching pieces and they don't care about it and expects me to have everything mis-matched. I refused this and they offered me a $100.00 coupon whereas the replacement unit would cost much more. They have been very unprofessional and don't care about the problems that they create for their customer. Be careful from their salesperson and their customer service who are totally apathetic to their customers.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Bought a mattress in March 2018. It started sinking in October. I called and they sent someone out to "measure density." It was "short" 1/4 inch. They replaced it anyway. Within a month the 2nd mattress sunk more than the 1 inch requirement. They refuse to refund. The brand mattress was a Stearns and Foster. Should have done my homework. 95% reviews about that company is negative. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I went to Havertys at Towson Place, MD with my family for our new home purchase, chairs, bed, family dining table rug etc. I wanted to make payment by cheque because of the amount involved, the accountant made a call and then told me the cheques were rejected. That their confirming agent UTA or so just declined my cheque. Very strange so I called my bank immediately and they told me everything was okay.

So why did the Merchant decline my cheque? I asked but did not get a good reply. Do they feel they can choose which cheque to reject for whatever reason? I insisted and another sales consultant asked to make a second phone call, came back and suddenly, my cheques were accepted. I need a detailed explanation from Havertys to be able to reconcile why my transaction was treated this way, even as a previous customer of theirs. They owe me a complete and reasonable reason to why they rejected my personal cheques. Although I continued with the transactions, I have never felt this bad with a purchase.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We learned our lesson... Never trust Havertys and NEVER trust Guardsman warranty. We were excited to find a rug that went perfectly into our remodel but it didn’t last long. The rug is completely threadbare in many spots. Never have I had a rug that looked like this in less than 2 years. It is a total embarrassment and we are out $500. Nothing anyone can do to help! Save yourself time and money and find another store. Ironically, we have had amazing customer service from Rooms To Go... Go figure!

Resolution response: Nov. 6, 2018

The manager of Haverty's called me on the phone and was very nice. He has resolved my issue and I am much happier.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I bought two leather recliners on Sept. 10, 2018 and within days the leather was puckering and looked stretched. It started on one and then started on the second chair. They are indentions all over these chairs. They are absolute junk. Havertys once had good furniture but now have their own brand and it is junk. I have spoken with their customer service people twice and the first person told me they would give me a refund with a 15% restocking fee. The second person told me they will not give me a review. They have offered two more recliners. What would make them think that two other recliners from their store would be any better? I have asked for a refund which a good store would have gladly refunded. I will never buy anything from them again. They are a terrible store with terrible business practices.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

The first console didn't work. They couldn't repair it so they sent a new console which also didn't work. They are scheduling a repair for the replacement console. It must be a manufacturing issue but yet they continue to send new consoles that don't work instead of just discounting the console and us moving forward.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

We have had this furniture for just over 2 years. 25 months to be exact. It is in a separate room which does not get much activity except for on the holidays. On the sofa (Piedmont RAF Corner Sofa, Mineral) one of the boards in the frame has broken off and you can see it sagging on the underneath of the couch and can feel that it is loose. You can no longer sit on that couch without falling into the seat as there is no spring support. On the other piece of the sectional (Piedmont Armless Loveseat, Mineral) both of the cushions are starting to fall apart at the seams. All of the stitching is coming out.

We purchased the Guardsman protection plan. Havertys customer service has informed me that they do not cover the fabric after one year and do not cover the frame after two years and to contact Guardsman. Upon entering their store to discuss with them the same couch is now being sold with different fabric on it. A much more sturdier fabric it appears. And after talking to a few people in the store you can tell all of them knew exactly what I was talking about when I said that the stitching was coming out on the cushions. In fact another lady walked up and said "you must have purchased the Piedmont sectional. It has a New fabric now."

I spent over 10k at their store on furniture purchases and I believe I spent 2500 on this sectional. Maybe 3000. For this price and considering the company I bought it at I guess I expected it to last a lot longer than two years. For the quality and the service I just received which was poor, I would have expected from another retailer. I will never buy any more furniture from Havertys again. Don't waste your money on this couch nor buy anything from these people. They do not care about you or doing the right thing when they know they sold you a piece of junk. It's a shame I can't attach pictures to this article. They would speak more words than I could possibly have to say.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

As a customer it's very disappointing when you buy a plan to cover your furniture for any type of accidents including stains. When you buy the furniture they tell you that plan covers stains or normal wear and tear. My case is stains, we celebrate my husband birthday with a cake. I have small children and obviously some cake were to get in the chair. I called to schedule a cleaning for the 4 chairs. They send a technician, a young man early 20's no clue what he was doing, he told me that due to the color of the stain chocolate he didn't want to clean them 'cause he was scared the stain would spread out so he was gonna contact Guardsman. Couple of days passed and I didn't hear from them so I called to see what was gonna happened.

First lady answer phone was courteous and she needed to transfer me to another department. Second lady with an attitude obviously the one who has to tell you that there's nothing they can do. 'Cause Guardsman has decided not to cover my cleaning due to the multiple stains on the chair. Multiple yes, 4 chairs so what does Guardsman Protection covers then, if it's food stains. So can with the attitude she didn't gave me a proper solution just told me that Guardsman wasn't gonna clean them and if she could help me with something else. Hello no, I paid $299.99 for a warranty that it's not gonna covers stains. In their fact sheet they even have that they cover bleach stain on fabric. Ohh and of course all food and beverage. But can't clean stains from a cake. Well then what do they cover???? I wish I could upload pictures and their fact sheet.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

This is my third review and still have no satisfaction. My first experience was going into the store with pictures of the chair. All the top coating has come off in many parts. I was never even offered a discount on another chair or piece of furniture. The next day I heard from the manager who said he was sorry and would have someone come and look at it. They scheduled 2 times to come and canceled both times within the 2 hours that they were suppose to show up. So we scheduled for a third time. The man came in and took several pictures. I told him I was the only one that ever sat in the chair. I weigh 135 pounds. He said he would have to show the pictures to someone and they would get back with me because he couldn’t make any decisions.

I got a call no more than 5 minutes later. I think it was the same man that was just at my house calling me from his truck. He went on to say that nothing could be done because it was from the oils on my body. Are you serious? I never sat on the chair with no clothes on and that should have never have happened in the first place if it was a “genuine leather chair.” Their customer service is terrible. I would never buy another piece of furniture from them because they didn’t tell the truth to begin with and then would do nothing to remedy the problem. I will not recommend them to friends or family.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I purchased Cameron leather sofa in 2016. The 1st delivery was defective. The second was ok for about 17 mos. then the cushions started to sink. I called Guardsman, was told only if it was due to an accident would they fix it. Called the Havertys' 888 # and was told nothing they can do. I called the store where I purchased it and the salesman had Havertys restuff the couch. Now 10 mos. later the same thing is happening and headquarters said they would not do anything more. It looks like Havertys products and customer service is no longer worth it.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Spent $3245 for a custom sectional sofa at Havertys Murfreesboro TN. In less than 3 years, the foam in two of the cushions needs replacing. And of course, their Guardsman warranty that the sales team tells you will cover everything. When you get the warranty documents and read them, nothing that could be considered a manufacturers' defect is covered.

We have two other sofas in our house, both much older. One from Rooms to Go and one from Quality Furniture. Both are still in great shape. Havertys' quality is trash and their warranty is worthless. Don't waste your money. IF you live in the Nashville, TN area, try Sprintz, Quality Furniture, BF Myers, Ashley, or RTG. All have much better quality products than Havertys.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have experienced the worst customer service with Havertys. I purchased lots of furnitures from Havertys and along with that purchased 5 year gold protection plan. I never used it and when I needed to use it I was told that I can't because I couldn't submit a form on time as I was out of country for emergency. They have lots of excuses to tell me that I can't use the service that I have purchased. I called them many times with no luck as they don't care for the customer's purchased products after it's sold. Extremely dissatisfied with their customer service.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Purchased the Atlas power recliner couch and love seat set. The "Follow your Truck Delivery" feature did not work. First delivery arrived an hour later than the time I was asked to commit to. Both couch and love seat were defective. One side of the couch had a rusted motor. The love seat had a tear. Second delivery arrived 2.5 hrs after the time I was asked to commit to. Again, the "Follow your Truck Delivery" feature did not work. I called to find out why the truck had not arrived and no one was able to figure out the problem.

When the delivery arrived 2.5 hrs later, the couch was damaged in the truck and the exchanged love seat was also defective. The motor on both seats of the love seat crackled. Spoke with customer service and the manager, Michelle, at the Towson Town Center Haverty's about the poor experience and requested a full refund. Clearly, quality control is non-existent. Haverty's picked up the couch set within two days, but would not refund my full amount at one time. Currently, Haverty's is holding part of my refund. Haverty's even sent me a letter stating they were holding part of my refund with no explanation as to WHY. There is no excuse for the company to hold my money. The manager has not been helpful in facilitating my refund.

Original review: July 22, 2018

In June 2018 we purchased a bed, Stearns and Foster. We paid over $3200 for this bed. At which time we laid on the bed in the showroom, and it was obvious the mattress that they delivered was not the one in which we chose. We were informed to lose sleep for 30 days to try the bed out. At the end of the 30 days, we were then able to turn the mattress back in and get another mattress. But, of course we had to spend an additional $400 to pick up another mattress.

We went back to the same Havertys, tested three or four beds. And was informed the one we chose have been on the showroom floor for approximately a week or so. This bed was very comfortable and we were willing to spend an additional $400 to have a good night sleep after 30 days of no sleep on the most uncomfortable bed I’ve ever laid on. We chose a A Sealy Tempur-Pedic cool gel queen size bed. The first night or two the bed was OK, but now we’re at 30 days and it appears to become more and more firm as you sleep on it. We reached out to the sales person was directed us to the corporate office. And of course as always, "We understand, but there’s nothing we can do," per the corporate office. We stated that we do not feel that the mattress that we laid on again was the same mattress that was delivered to our home.

I feel, there needs to be some kind of investigation done. In no way can I bed that’s in the showroom be extremely comfortable and then once delivered to your home is absolutely horrible. So we are now going on 60 days with no sleep having to get up and sleep on the leather couch after spending almost $4000. We are in the process of requesting our money back for the mattress. Not to mention we did some research, and found that the mattress in which we purchased is 95% polyurethane which is a biohazard to humans. Since we have had this matter is I’ve done nothing but coughed and be congested and having break out on my face. We reached out explaining that the polyurethane is in fact creating a health issue now so far we’ve heard nothing back and they are not willing to accommodate us whatsoever.

It looks as though maybe a lawyer will be in the works. It is pretty absurd, that customers can pay that kind of money and be unsatisfied with the furniture that they have purchased and Havertys is not willing to do anything at all to make it right. They have the money and we have a poor product. Not to mention how is it legal for beds to be made with polyurethane which is hazardous to a person's health?

Original review: July 17, 2018

Sectional - You have to be careful when cleaning their leather or the color will come off. Guardsman protection plan is worthless. Foam started sinking in as soon as we got it, when it came apart, Guardsman people told us it was worn out while still in warranty.

Original review: July 16, 2018

These people report clients to the Credit Bureau, just for skipping ONE MONTH! This is unbelievable!! I was surprised when I check my credit score and see it. I paid May in June, and June was paid with July together, two days after that payment, I paid my last two months IN ADVANCE, which means I paid in July, the bills corresponding to August and September, and even so, they refuse to fix it. This is the second time I buy furniture there, and the LAST ONE TOO!! They don't want to understand that people sometimes don't pay because they can't. Lot of things happen constantly, and everyone does the best they can to meet debts.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We have a bought a very expensive sectional (Regis) the Regency collection in the color pewter and we had so many issues. It had so much damage and defects!!! We had it returned and replaced 6 times and had less than 3 months and it's already peeling and unthreading!

Original review: June 8, 2018

After only one year a love seat purchased at Havertys developed an area where the material started to bubble up and eventually split. Had a tech come out from Guardsman who explained to me that the material was man made and not actually leather. I didn't realize Havertys sold fake leather furniture. A replacement part was ordered and the tech that was to install noticed the color was different. So now I have a sofa and couch made from fake leather and the loveseat with a different shade than the original. I was told that Havertys is likely not to do anything with this situation. I had gone to Havertys to purchase good quality furniture and was completely surprised they sell synthetic leather which I could of purchased less at Marlo's or Value Furniture. Very disappointed!!

Original review: May 22, 2018

The sofa we bought was supposed to arrive in a week. It arrived several weeks late, and had a damaged leg (which we just lived with because... several weeks).

We also purchased their "anything happens, we'll replace it" warranty. Within two years, seams on the cushions started to split. We filed a claim, heard nothing for a few weeks. Following up, we were told our claim was 'denied,' that it was 'normal wear and tear.' I've had sofas for twenty years and not had a seam split. THE FURNITURE IS GARBAGE AND THE WARRANTY IS USELESS.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I had 2 accent chairs for the living room custom made for $900 each. They were delivered and the first time I sat in one, I knew they were **! The frame was clearly felt - your butt sort of sunk into a square frame - the springs squeaked and the arms were so flimsy that you could feel the wood and wiggle the whole arm.

I was told all custom orders were not returnable or refundable. I put the chairs in a guest room and went to a local company and had custom leather club chairs made (they are exquisite!!) for $100 LESS.

Furthermore, the bar stools we ordered came broken and the “warranty” we paid $700 for and they wouldn’t even see them to check if they were fixable. They denied our claim without any visit or pictures. We have never sat on them. The custom leather sectional ripped along the seam after 4 months. Havertys took no blame and the warranty company again wouldn’t even take a look.

All in all, we spent $11,200 outfitting our new house. The only things we have not had to fix at our own expense are the kitchen chairs but I recovered them myself when the fabric ripped. Please note that we have no pets, no kids and rarely use most of this stuff. It’s literally falling apart all on its own. Skip Havertys AND their worthless warranty people. We’ve talked with at least 4 other people who have had identical issues with both companies.

Havertys Furniture Company Information