2. Homeowners
  3. Mattress Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.36/5

GhostBed’s cooling mattresses work well for every sleep position. The original GhostBed model is an affordable mixed-foam mattress. The Luxe offers heightened comfort and Medium firmness. The Flex is a hybrid model that offers the coolest sleep of the three mattresses. 101-day sleep trials let users take their time when making a decision.

BOTTOM LINE

GhostBed’s line of three mattresses provides a medium to medium firm sleep with cooling technologies at a reasonable price. All sleeping positions are well accommodated.

PROS

• Virtually silent
  • 20- or 25-year warranty
  • Good motion absorption

CONS

• 30-night break-in required before return

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2020

Shop Now

10 suggested offers from our partners.

Our favorite mattress companies of 2020

Shop Now

GhostBed mattress construction and materials

The original GhostBed models are eleven inches thick, while the GhostBed Luxe and GhostBed Flex are thirteen inches. The GhostBed has 1.5 inches of aerated latex foam, two inches of gel memory foam, seven and a half inches of high-density foam, and a cover made of viscose and polyester. The GhostBed Luxe has a “Ghost Hug” topper to keep sleepers cool, an inch of gel memory foam, two layers of phase-change material, gel memory foam, a bounce layer and a thick base of high-density memory foam. The GhostBed Flex is a hybrid mattress with a cooling cover, several layers of memory foam and a layer of reinforced support coils.

ghostbed mattress

GhostBed mattress comfort

GhostBed prides itself on providing one of the coolest sleeps around. Cooling materials used in all three mattresses help even hot sleepers feel cool during the night. The GhostBed and GhostBed Flex are a Medium Firm, or 6, on the traditional mattress firmness scale. The GhostBed Luxe is a 5 or Medium. The original GhostBed is notable for its conforming memory foam with some added responsiveness from latex. The Luxe has the highest conforming ability and is great for those with aches and pains. The Flex is the most cooling option.

• Firmness: The original GhostBed and GhostBed Flex are classified as Medium Firm. The GhostBed Luxe is Medium on the firmness scale.
    • Sleeping position: The GhostBed Luxe is the most accommodating model. It sleeps most weights in any position. The GhostBed and GhostBed Flex sleep most weights and positions well, but lighter weights sleeping on their stomachs might not sleep as comfortably.
    • Motion transfer: All three models from GhostBed do a great job absorbing motion on the mattress.
    • Edge support: The GhostBed and GhostBed Luxe have good edge support, although you can still expect some sinkage when sitting on the edge of the bed. The GhostBed Flex, like other hybrid models, has very good edge support.
    • Sleeping hot: The GhostBed Flex is the best choice for hot sleepers, but the GhostBed and GhostBed Luxe also allow for cool sleep.

GhostBed mattress prices

The GhostBed has a low cost when compared to mattresses with similar construction and materials. The GhostBed Luxe, as the name implies, is a bit pricier but offers some premium components that are worth the higher price tag. The GhostBed Flex is fairly priced when compared to other hybrid mattresses.

Mattress sizeGhostBed costGhostBed Luxe costGhostBed Flex cost
    Twin$445$995$895
    Twin XL$645$1,200$1,100
    Full$720$1,320$1,225
    Queen$895$1,375$1,285
    King$1,075$1,685$1,585
    California King$1,095$1,725$1,625
    Split King$1,290$2,400$2,200

Are GhostBed mattresses good?

All three GhostBed mattress models are good. Each offers a cooling night sleep with a high level of comfort at a fair price. The GhostBed Luxe is a good choice for those with aches and pains. The Flex is a great hybrid choice and has the coolest sleep. The original model’s mix of memory foam and latex creates a comfortable sleep at an affordable price.

Ghostbed Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ghostbed?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ghostbed?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

The instructions are incorrect. The middle beam to the "all in one foundation is built backwards". They are sending them out this way in mass. Customer service will not fix it or compensate for these foundations going out incorrectly. You won't be able to register for the warranty they claim you can. I have yet to hear from them on the 101 day sleep trial which I have claimed and will send back because the foundation makes it extremely uncomfortable. I highly suggest you go with another mattress and company altogether unless you like feeling like you are sleeping on the floor.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I don't have a review of any of their merchandise-didn't get that far. I actually had a horrific experience with Ghostbed customer support. I ordered a mattress and pillows in the wee hours on 8/30 on a whim, but hoping there was something to the cooling features. I also opted to pay through an installment account with Affirm since there would be no interest.

However, I had a change of heart later that SAME day and decided I would cancel my order. After struggling to find a way to contact Ghostbed customer support and waiting on hold for at least 45 minutes before I had to hang up, I sent a request for a response via email and of course there was no immediate response. I finally found the chat feature less than 24 hours after my purchase and sent my request. I was told by the first rep that it would be no problem; my order had not been processed so it wasn't too late to cancel.

About 8 hours after I had this conversation with "customer support," I got an email that my order had shipped.?? I contacted Ghostbed again via the chat feature and got a different rep. This one CONFIRMED that she saw my cancellation request, but "This sometimes happens because we ship so fast." She also said that they would try to stop the delivery before it got to me, but if FedEx still delivers, "please refuse the delivery and it will be returned to us." She even went so far to say that I should leave a note on my door to let FedEx know not to leave the packages if I missed them. I work from home so I intended to be there. She also assured me that I would not be charged. I alerted her that I had gotten a text message that Affirm was texting me about my installment agreement. She falsely assured me AGAIN when I asked if I would need to be concerned about this correspondence that "No, we'll make sure they're aware."

All of these were blatant lies. I think the people conducting customer support are working from home too and have no access to anyone who could have actually taken care of this. FedEx attempted to deliver the box of pillows twice and the 2nd time the driver refused to take them back. The mattress came about a week later and I insisted that the driver take both the mattress and pillows - both boxes so badly damaged they looked like someone had used them for batting practice.

I tried calling Ghostbed again around 9/2 and stayed on hold for an hour this time before giving up. They NEVER answer the phone. They give you an option to leave a message (but "not more than one if you've already left one"...an indication that they have a LOT of customer support issues), but to this day I'm still waiting for a phone call.

It finally occurred to me on 9/10 to see if they had a Facebook page and lo and behold, someone answered a private message, only to give me an excuse that they receive "over 1000 calls a day"- as if that's MY problem - and that they would give me a call the next day. I was so frustrated I didn't even give them any more information, hoping that I could actually return the merchandise and be DONE with them and they would have no reason to charge me anything--especially since the chat customer support rep told me the steps to take. I received confirmation that the mattress and pillows arrived in Florida by 9/16 and 9/29 respectively. I finally thought I was done.

However, Affirm began sending me notifications this month that I now owed my first payment--on merchandise I did not have or want. When I contacted this phantom and apparently ONLY customer service person on Ghostbed's Facebook page again on 10/6, she had clearly taken my frustration personally and had absolutely no concern for my issue. She told me that they had to "receive all the items back, inspect, reinvtory [sic], create the RA, send to finance and then cancel the loan." When I expressed my concern that the loan company was telling me my payment was past due and I didn't want it to end up on my credit, especially for a CANCELED ORDER and returned merchandise, her response was "any payment made will get refunded to you."

So, today, 10/15, Affirm sent me an email that I STILL owe them money because Ghostbed didn't pay the whole loan. They left me a $196.31 balance. How nice. BACK to Facebook private message to tell them that FedEx damaged the packages - not me - so if I'm being charged a restocking fee, it should be waived. The response was: "We only ship new merchandise. The restocking fee apparently is all you are being charged, as we typically would also deduct $100 for the mattress and $25 for the pillows. I'm not sure why it is only a restocking fee. But the order has been refunded." Still, because I was frustrated with this complete lack of concern and unacceptable resolution, I asked if there was ANYONE there interested in making this situation right but the final response was: "We do have policies that we apply equally to everyone. You can read the full terms of our policy at our website."

So what if I wanted to make an impulse purchase at 1:00 AM and change my mind. I'm glad I didn't have to cancel for a REAL reason that was unavoidable like a family emergency or military deployment. But now I just paid a company that I never intended to do business with for the inconvenience they caused ME. I guess they're doing so well they don't care if a potential customer was happy. They obviously don't care to have my business in the future. Great business model.

Get buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

As I described in an earlier review, I liked the GhostBed mattress itself but didn't keep it because my back was sore each morning after sleeping on it - a problem I don't blame on the mattress quality, but my back. So I returned it while rating the mattress itself with 5 stars. However, the return process gets 1 star. Here's my story behind why.

I purchased a GhostBed mattress in July 2020 and initiated a request to return it one month later. While making the return request, I was first offered the opportunity for a free topper to be sent to me to help with comfort. I appreciated that, but still opted to return the mattress instead. I became dismayed to learn that despite GhostBed's "No-Hassle Refund Guarantee" isn't accurate at all. Their website says, "Tried GhostBed for 30 days, and realized it’s just not right for you? No sweat. The GhostBed customer service team will work with you to arrange pickup of your mattress. All you need to do is be home when the pickup crew arrives."

Contrary to that assurance, I was informed because of COVID-19 that I would need to PERSONALLY locate & coordinate a mattress pickup with a charitable organization local to me. That is not "no hassle" and does much more than require me to "lift a finger." That chore all by itself wouldn't have been an issue to me if it had been clearly stated on the GhostBed website prior to my purchase. But it didn't. That's either dishonest or lazy website maintenance.

In addition, I was also informed that I would need to return the two free pillows received. Ok, no problem. Except that the cost of returning them was on me. THAT is a problem. So, along with my mattress purchase I was sent two pillows that I didn't request (they were a default bonus with the mattress), had to return them, and bear the brunt of that cost (as it turns out, $24 through the cheapest USPS option). And as with the mattress return, there's nothing on the GhostBed website stating that bonus pillows received with the mattress would need to be returned at all, much less AT CUSTOMER EXPENSE if returning the mattress.

If I opted to keep the pillows, their cost would be subtracted from the final refund. So I spent the $24 to return them. I eventually was able to coordinate a mattress pickup and then sent a copy of the required pickup receipt to GhostBed support on Aug. 21. Over the course of the next several days, I sent four separate inquiries to GhostBed support via the same email address I had earlier coordinated the mattress & pillows returns. My inquiries were simply to ask how long the refund typically takes. The support person had previously been very quick to respond to me. Concerning my "how long does it take" inquiries, I never once received a reply. Never once. Even to this day.

I then began calling their support line. Found out each time I was somewhere around caller 15 waiting in line to get through. Each time, the phone voice message keep me on for roughly 20 minutes before simply dropping me. Interestingly the voice holding message periodically came back saying, "Wow! You're still holding. We are sorry..." as if THEY couldn't even believe a calling customer would actually wait that long on the phone.

So finally on Aug. 31, I tried their online chat function to see if I could communicate with anyone. First time, I was somewhere around customer 17 waiting for a chat agent to respond. While waiting, I simply stayed busy with other work. About an hour later when I was getting close to being first in line, I discovered that I was timed out of chat and got dropped. So I tried again. Went back to being customer 14 and decided this time to periodically send the chat session a keyboard character just to keep my session from timing out again.

Finally a couple hours later, I actually connected with a chat agent. (Yes, a couple hours later.) So without exaggeration, I spent a total of 3+ hours on their chat software until I had someone interacting with me. Keep in mind, it's now been 10 days since I submitted my mattress pickup receipt. All I wanted to know is how long it typically takes to get a refund. During this chat session, I was informed it usually takes "up to 15 business days" to process. Sigh...

Ok, so I mapped out 15 business days on the calendar from my original receipt submission date of Aug. 21, including skipping weekends and Labor Day, plus one extra day just to make sure. I re-chatted that day (Sept. 15) that we were beyond the 15-day process period and I still hadn't received a refund. The first thing this chat agent (different person this time) wrote back was "Who informed you of 15 days?" Oh no... here we go. "The tickets are viewed in the order they are received by Returns, and THEN it takes up to 15 business days to process." Sigh... I asked, "So another week? A month? Any idea at all?" Response, "I don't want to give you inaccurate information... They will contact you with the time to expect it and the amount." Sigh...

I finally received the refund notification on Sept. 24, five weeks after I had sent support a copy of the mattress pickup receipt on Aug. 21. So my conclusion about the return process is this:

1. Despite what the GhostBed website says, if you buy one of their mattresses and opt to return it sometime after 30 and before 101 days, you will get stuck locating a charitable organization to haul it away.

2. If free pillows come with the mattress, you will get stuck paying for and coordinating the return of the pillows separately from the mattress.

3. It is likely to take an enormously long period of time to finally secure your refund. That alone tells me one of four things:

a. GhostBed returns & support are severely understaffed, OR

b. GhostBed returns & support processes are severely inefficient, OR

c. GhostBed has many, MANY more mattress returns than they let on, OR

d. GhostBed is in financial trouble and hangs onto your refund as long as possible before finally letting it go.

There may be other possibilities, but I can't think of them. In sum (as noted in an earlier review), I did like the mattress itself, even though it didn't resolve my back problem. However, if you buy one and decide to return it, just be aware of the amount of work, expense, and wait you will incur in the process. Clearly it would be an understatement to say that process was a significant disappointment to me. I gave this two stars instead of only one because at least the people I did interact with were polite and tried to help within the context of what they are permitted to do and say.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I purchased the most basic GhostBed mattress in July 2020. So this isn't their Flex, Luxe, or 3D Matrix. Just the basic. I'm giving it 5 stars because I found it to be supportive, on the more firm side (which is my preference), and - as primarily a back & stomach sleeper - pretty comfortable. Plus it has a 20-year limited warranty, which is 5-10 years longer than most of their competitors.

Also, the price was right (under $600 when I bought it), and it came with two free pillows. Despite all that, I ended up returning the mattress within their 101-day trial period because I would wake up each morning with a sore back. Though that sounds bad, I actually don't blame the mattress. I seem to have a sensitive back and was hoping a nice mattress would help. In the end it didn't, but (to me) that is not a reflection on the quality of the mattress. That's why I rate it so well and would still recommend it to those who prefer a bit more firmness in a mattress. If, however, you purchase a GhostBed mattress and aren't convinced prior to the purchase that you're going to keep it, I have very different feedback regarding that service process. So I'm making that a separate review because my star rating is different.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

They purposely do not respond to email or phone calls. This way the customer can't correct an error in the order. They wait until order is delivered then they respond and states that the purchase agreement said you have to pay 15% restocking fee and you are responsible for paying for return freight as well. Don't buy from these people, they are thieves. They use sleazy tactics to take money off you. Most companies would allow their customer to correct an order before it is shipped especially if you notify them within a certain time frame. These people purposely don't answer emails and phone calls until it is too late.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

We ordered our king size GhostBed just over a year ago. This order was placed on a Saturday night, by late Saturday night/middle of the night/ in the very wee hours of Sunday morning, we asked to have our full king order to be our to be changed to the the ** twin mattresses for our king bases (literally within hours of the order, no chance in that time it was shipping, in the middle of the night just hours later). We were told we could only do so by paying a restocking fee to change our order, ok whatever. The two twin XL bases for our king bed were delivered about a week later, but no mattress. We waited approximately 2 months for our mattress, no mattress. Calls and emails only told us it was not yet manufactured or ready to ship. This was not relayed to us in any way at the time of order.

During the time of order, my husband who works out of town for very extended periods of time, was home so we could have gotten it installed. With the very extended amount of wait time, by the time it finally arrived, he was back out of town for work and I could not get in moved and installed by myself. Calls to the company resulted in promises of free sheets and pillows to make up for their issue, neither ever showed up!

Now that we finally have had it installed months later, I can say we both are very unhappy with it and cannot sleep comfortably in it. Even after giving plenty of time to acclimate it. I now totally sleep on the couch and he has trouble sleeping and wakes up with extreme back pain. While we love the adjustable base, the mattress is not at all impressive. We would appreciate at the very least, our promised items for our inconvenience. I am going to reach out again to see it we can try a different style of GB mattress. I have found this to be an expensive disappointment ???? In addition the “massage” (very light vibration feature is extremely disappointing). Ghost Bed, would you like to make this right? I don’t know why we did not receive our items which were were promised, our sheets and pillows at the very least? We wanted really LOVE this bed and gave it our best shot, but sadly it gets no better with time. GhostBed, would you now like to make this expensive transaction right?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

So my husband I did a lot of research on box bed and decided on Ghostbed. We thought why not, if we don’t like it we have 101 days to send back. Well we got it and was awful. Felt like we were sleeping on the floor, it was so hard. We tried to give it two weeks but just couldn’t do it anymore but they make you wait over 30 days to return and try to entice you to try it longer by saying they’ll give you a “free” mattress topper and sheets BUT if you still don’t like the bed you have to pay and keep the topper, can’t be sent back. We said no and went through with the return process.

Where it feels like a scam is when originally purchasing the bed they throw in two “free” pillows and again if you don’t keep the bed they either charge you for the pillows or make YOU pay to send them back. I think it's shady when I didn’t ask or want the pillows but I have to pay to ship them back and we only found this out when we said we want to return the bed. You can only find where it states this towards the bottom of their terms and conditions page. OH and keep in mind they own the Nature's Sleep brand so expect the same experience. You’re better off going to a mattress store and trying out a bed you like and buying there bc most have the 100 night trial as well.

Original review: July 10, 2020

Ghostbed refund process is a nightmare. The bed was extremely hot trappings body heat waking me up every night. I called to return their toastbed. Because of Covid 19 the mattress sat in my room against a wall for 4 months before they would send someone to pick it up. Finally when the truck came, The driver gave me a receipt that said Nectar. I told him it was a ghostbed mattress he said it is the same company?? Two weeks went by, no word on my return. I called several time without being able to talk with anyone. I left messages And sent emails. No response. They suck at customer service.

This is the message they sent me. "However, upon reviewing the donation receipt from our partner Sharetown, they noted on the receipt that they picked up a Twin Nectar mattress and not a Twin GhostBed." This is done to be sure the GhostBed is donated and not another mattress therefore, I cannot accept your donation receipt with another mattress name for the donation. This is total **!

Original review: March 2, 2019

This mattress seems to be very comfortable and it seems to be adjustable to my body. They must improve the size of the mattress and include all sizes possible because I have a wide family that use different sizes. But I like the comfort, all the positions in bed and seems simple but I think I would sleep tight.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

This mattress had the best reviews out of all of the other mattresses that I was looking up and this mattress had a lot of YouTube video reviews and I trust those more than written reviews. The shipping was very affordable and fast. The mailman even helped bring the mattress inside. I also like how durable it is and it seems to be very stain resistant. But I wish the price was a little bit lower and affordable.

Ghostbed Company Information