4.9(19)
By:
Author picture
Edited by:

About Back Science

Back Science offers bedding, pillows and three mattress/bed base models. Back Science is mostly online, but it has a showroom in Agoura Hills, California. It ships nationwide, including to Hawaii and Alaska. The company offers a 365-night trial and a 30-year warranty. Financing is available through ShopPay.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Nationwide shipping
  • 365-night trial
  • 30-year warranty
Cons
  • Shipped as large freight
  • Shipping can be pricey
  • One showroom

Back Science products

Back Science offers a variety of mattress styles and series:

• Series 1: 10-inch depth with a firm feel; best for back sleepers
  • Series 2: 12-inch depth with a luxury firm feel; best for mixed sleepers
  • Series 3: 14-inch depth with a medium feel; best for side sleepers

In addition to mattresses, Back Science offers accessories and a mobile application.

Back Science mattress materials

Back Science mattresses are made with a gel infusion to give you more buoyant lift support. It also uses ResiliFlex transition layers, which add extra comfort and support, prevents you from sinking into the mattress and reinforces the zoned lumbar support.

Back Science also provides GripLock Modular Cover systems with its mattresses. You can unzip and open these covers quickly to make adjustments to the feel and support of the mattress. It also provides a patented airflow transfer cooling system featuring thousands of holes in the upper mattress portion to allow for breathability.

Back Science mattress comfort

Back Science provides comfort options for all sleeper types. Back sleepers will benefit best from the Series 1 mode, with a firm feel with a 10-inch depth. Mixed side and back sleepers benefit from the Series 2 mattress, featuring a luxury firm feel and a 12-inch depth. Side sleepers will find most comfort in the Series 3 model — this series offers a medium firmness feel with a 14-inch depth.

Back Science prices

Mattress and bed prices vary based on the size and model, but you can expect the following starting prices as of publishing.

Back Science FAQ

What is Back Science?

Back Science is a 100% U.S.-made and -sourced mattress and bedding company. It uses scientific testing to create mattresses to help keep spines in proper alignment. Back Science offers a 365-night sleep trial.

How does Back Science work?

Back Science has an online store and a showroom in California. It ships mattresses via large freight so they aren’t compressed (like with a bed-in-a-box shipment). Adjustable bases are also shipped via large freight. Delivery takes four days to a week after shipment. Back Science offers financing with ShopPay installments.

Where is Back Science available?

Back Science has an online store and a flagship location in Agoura Hills, California. It ships across the continental U.S. It also offers shipping options to Hawaii and Alaska.

Is Back Science legit?

Yes. Back Science is a legitimate mattress and adjustable bed base dealer. It has a showroom in California and ships nationwide. Back Science offers a long 30-year warranty to back its products.

Stars Rating

• 95%
  • 5%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Back Science?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Back Science?
    Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed July 14, 2024

Go to Back Science, buy the mattress, and you have nothing to lose. This is the most honorable and respectful people, and you get what you want in a mattress. You get what you think you want, and if you don't like what you felt you wanted, you could have it changed, no charge. They stand behind their product without a bunch of qualifications or disqualifications. You know how warranties are today. There are more excuses for the warranty not to be effective than there are positively. But this is not the case. It's like a new technology.

It is so good based on our experience, and the product, the service - you don't even have to go. You can order this on the phone, because if you don't like what you got, what you received, they would take it back or fix it. That's the amazing part of this thing. And it's so hard to select the mattress. We went to Macy's and made ourselves crazy. We went to Mattress Firm. How could we choose in 15 minutes, laying on a mattress that everybody else has tried to lay on anyway? So, that's not accurate. This way, you get your own pure, clean mattress to test, in your own home, and there's no downside.

The base is super. The vibration, everything else is cool. The options are great. And you're not locked in. Once you pick a mattress from any other company, you own it unless you tell them you don't like it. They would come back in a certain amount of days, take it back, and you would look again, so it would start over again. This is not the case. That's the beauty of this transaction. It's different and refreshing. You don't feel locked in. You're not stuck with it. Why wouldn't you go next time you need a bed? Because it's like the last bed we're gonna purchase.

I went to the store to look at the Beautyrest Black mattress, and we saw the other mattresses in the store. It's unusual because the company has a massive volume of every brand of mattress imaginable, so it was almost overwhelming. They have more inventory than any department store or mattress store. We got to speak with Rick, the owner, and without any pressure, we came up as we're walking through and trying some different mattresses in addition to the Beautyrest Black. So asking him, telling them about our particular back issues or interest in a firm mattress but with an effective lumbar, and flexibility but firm, and he walked us over to the Back Science one and told me to lay down.

So, I did and he started to play with the remote. What amazed me was the lumbar rises. There's a section in the base that is separate from the other mattress mechanisms in the base, so it raises the lumbar section of the body. Very effective. Rick explained how it's modular, so if we were not happy with how the mattress felt, if we wanted it softer or or firmer, they would just come and insert a modified version of the mattress without having to remove the whole mattress. Fascinating. And he said, “The warranty is for a year or more. So if you decide or find, in eight months or a year, that you want a different feel of the mattress, just call and we'll send you a replacement. Or because you're in LA, white glove deliver and modify it.”

It's in writing, so there's no downside. Mattresses can be such a racket because you don't know what to believe anymore. It's a saturated world out there. He said, “So you really have no downside. It's not like you own this. However it arrives, you don't have to own that. You can change it. Aside from the fact that you can just change the whole thing if you really don't like how it feels to begin with once you've had a chance to sleep on it, you can change it for any other mattress in the place here.” How inviting is that, right?

We came home, did our research, we spoke to Luna and with Rick again. We looked around. We did some other research, went to a Mattress Firm, a couple of other places. But there was nothing like what he described to us and what we felt. And how could we say no? So, we ordered two mattresses for the house, one king size and one queen size, because we have a couple of bedrooms. Rick said, “By the way, don't forget, if you don't like it, just let us know and we'll fix it.” I got a positive, honest sense about him. He spoke well and logically, and technically at the same time. He made it easy to comprehend his technical aspect.

They delivered it white glove. They set it up. They even put this mattress protector on it. Really nice. The guys were cool. The base is a beautiful black. The king size, we ordered in the Twin XL so that it could be either be worked individually or together. We chose to have it linked together, so they just connected to the wires underneath so both bases work simultaneously. And we're happy with it.

One of the guys, when he made them operate in unison, said, “Don't forget. If you wanna change it and she gets mad at you, you call and we'll come and we'll fix it. So it's separate, so the one can go up and the other one can’t.” They delivered it late in the afternoon as requested, and after dinner, I said, “I'm going upstairs. I wanna give it a try.” I went and I laid down, I figured I'd give it a try. I turned on the TV. It was Friday. I woke up at 11 o'clock on Saturday morning. The mattress was that comfortable.

After a month, I thought it was too soft for me, so I called and I spoke with Rick, and he asked me to describe what I thought I wanted to feel. He said, “Okay. Give me two weeks. One of the guys at the warehouse will call you and coordinate a day and a time for them to come and change your mattress.” We left the queen alone because that wasn't a pillow top. They came and replaced it in 30 minutes. It's fascinating.

I’m very happy with the mattress. I like it without the pillow top. It wasn't necessary. Because he had told me when I asked him to do the pillow top, “Yeah, of course, we could do it, but you may not need it. But let me do it anyway because you want that. And then you can change later. Up to you." So the satisfaction of their capability to do what what the consumer wants is incredible. Because our experience in buying mattresses in the prior years is never magic. This is incredible. We're very happy with the mattresses. We're even happier, if it's possible, by the service and the courtesy that these people project.

There's another thing. And he made a good point. We got the waterproof cover for the mattresses from Rick, and his guys put them on before they left. If there was an accident in the bed or for either Anne or myself or the grandchildren, I would not change the whole mattress. I would be able to take the core of the mattress and replace it. Most people don't think about that, but with the grandkids running around, who knows? Or I spill something on the mattress and it would penetrate the waterproof cover. There's a sense of security. But there's an element that you can't find in any other mattress. It's incredible.

Get buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed July 11, 2024

We've been very pleased with everything from our initial contact with Dr. Rick. I admired the approach that he took in designing the Back Science bed. I'm an architect and engineer, so I took particular notice of how he’d find the structure of the bed and how it would support people's backs. He took quite a bit of time going through all of that and he was very informative. I respect him as a chiropractor and inventor.

Also, the bed itself is fantastic, although I don't like the massage feature. It has the flexibility of being able to elevate the head and we went with a split bed so we have completely separate elevations. Then, when we requested that the bed be modified to make one side a little bit stiffer and they were very responsive. They came out within a few days. They made adjustments and adjusted it twice to our liking. They made sure it was comfortable for us. They had told us they would do that before buying the bed and to see them come out, do it, and do it so very responsibly was very good to see. I was very impressed. We ended up paying a lot more than we expected, but given a lifetime warranty on it, I’m just really happy. The value is there and the net results in terms of back support and the quality of sleep that we're getting is very good. All in all, it's been a very good experience.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience sleeping on the Back Science mattress, we're so happy to hear how much it has helped improve your quality of sleep! We also appreciate your kind words about our services.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed May 25, 2024

I called the store and told them about what I was looking for and what I'd gone through with three other beds. I ended up talking to the creator of Back Science and he convinced me to try it and we've had it ever since. My husband loves it. When he falls asleep, he doesn't wake up until it's time to get up, sometimes later. It's so comfortable he doesn't wanna get out of bed. I have a terrible time getting comfortable but if I can get myself comfortable, I'm asleep within a few minutes and I sleep a good seven to eight hours. I don't wake up in the middle of the night and that's stuff that's a plus on my side for my whole life.

We've had three other beds and they all dipped in back structure, which does not happen with Back Science. They're gonna fix it for you and make it right. Also, the nicest people work there. I was looking for a bed frame at one point and I wanted a little more softness in the center section. I got a call within a day and they wanted to come that day or the next day to fix it. And I love when I talk to a human being and they're happy to talk to you.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience sleeping on the Back Science mattress! We are so happy to hear that we've been able to get you and your husband great sleep.

Customer ServiceStaffProcess

Reviewed May 25, 2024

In other beds we've had, we've had to put a topper on top of the bed and those can be really hit-or-miss. But with Back Science, you don't have to worry about that added weight. It was a much nicer overall experience. The representatives in the store were great. They were incredibly knowledgeable, and really, really kind. I had several calls with them to find out the status of the mattress and they did an incredible job with follow-up.

The mattress has a lot of really great support. It does a good job of giving enough pressure in the right places and making sure that my back stays aligned instead of something where the weight distribution feels off. There were small nuanced pieces throughout the process that made me realize this was a really, really good choice. Like from the salespeople talking us through all the different mattresses and coming back to this one, and from the fact that they told us, “If you don't like this, let us know. We'll come through. We'll adjust the mattress to your specifications of what you want. Call us if you ever have any questions.” The warranty on it was also really, really good.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to talk about your experience with the Back Science mattress, we're so glad to hear you've had a great experience in the store, and with your bed.

Reviewed May 23, 2024

I've been sleeping on a mediocre mattress my whole life. I really wanted to invest in a good mattress, because you spend a third of your life laying down on it. I figured it would be a very good idea to get something a little more graduated. I went into a mattress store. Back Science was next door to another mattress store and I spoke to the salesman. He was very nice. He's a chiropractor, so he knows what he's talking about. He quickly recommended something that would be the right fit for me. It was a low pressure sale and it was a good feeling all around. I trusted it and I'm happy with my decision.

The mattress itself is really good for my back type. I haven't been experiencing any tightness or soreness due to my being ill-equipped with the wrong mattress. This one has really helped me out with my back problems from a more day to day back problems with work and sitting down a lot. My experience has been pretty good thus far. It's been much better than my mattresses of the past.

Since using Back Science, I've had a lot less waking up from soreness. For example, my lower and middle back would get sore in the middle of the night. I would get up a lot more often to adjust. I've experienced a lot less of that now. The bed frame is a win as well because I can adjust it up so I can watch TV. I like to watch TV a little bit before I go to bed and adjusting that headpiece to go lean up, tilt up is much better and more comfortable in that sense when you're lying down to watch TV. It was just an all-around, good experience both with the sale of the product, the transaction, and the experience with the use of the mattress as well.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience sleeping on the Back Science mattress, we're so happy to hear how much it has helped reduce your back problems!

Reviewed June 30, 2024

We were given one-on-one service at the store. The rep took time to explain the different mattresses. I was very interested in off-gassing, the green and health component of it. He was able to make comparisons between mattresses and provide information that was relevant to what we were specifically looking for. The bed felt a little different than anything we had felt before. We had tried out 12 different beds and it was the most comfortable. It provided the kind of cushioning that was comfortable, but solid. It feels like different technology. We love it.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience sleeping on the Back Science mattress, we're so happy to hear that we could find the right mattress for you, and how much you love your new mattress!

StaffProcess

Reviewed June 29, 2024

The salespeople were really knowledgeable. It was a very smooth process. We went in person to get a feel of each of the mattresses. Once we selected the mattress, it was shipped out fairly quickly. The crew that they had came, put it in, cleaned up, and then left. For the most part, the mattress has relieved the back pain that my wife has. That was mainly the reason why we had even chosen that particular model in the first place. We did try out other brands through them and we ended up having to return them and that process was very smooth as well. Then we went specifically with the Back Science. The overall quality has been pretty good, so far. We really like how they can come out to the house and fix any issues that we might have. Like if it starts sinking or if we need extra padding, they can come in and do those fixes themselves.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience sleeping on the Back Science mattress, we're so happy to hear how it has helped reduce your wife's back pains. We also very much appreciate your kind words about our services.

Reviewed June 29, 2024

The store is a couple of exits from where we live. We did a visit and the experience was excellent. The owner helped us. He wasn't pushy at all. Any time we had a question, he'd sit down and give us as much time as we wanted to explain things. He tried to show us different mattresses from different companies. He had a way to check our back, an app he invented that would show which mattress would be good for us. Once we decided, it was easy. We placed the order and three weeks later, he had the item. They came and set it up and took our old bed. They were on time.

We're very happy with the mattress so far. My wife and I are getting better sleep from day one. We're not tossing and turning. He put us in the right direction. What's nice is, with the type we have, which is his brand, we can customize it free of charge and also got some pillows. You can customize the mattress to make it firmer. If it's too firm, you can change that too. We highly recommend Back Science.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience sleeping on the Back Science mattress, we're so happy to hear that your sleep has improved with the mattress! We also very much appreciate your kind words about our services.

StaffProcess

Reviewed June 29, 2024

A friend recommended Back Science, and when I went to visit, I was impressed with the options and the expertise that was provided and made the decision to purchase the mattress. The folks there couldn't have been more welcoming. The time spent in the showroom was excellent, informative and gave me time to go home and think about it with my wife. The process was superb. We've had it a couple of months now and when we had to have an adjustment made, they were very responsive at coming to our residence and making the adjustment. Everything seems to be much improved and my wife and I, at this point, are very satisfied. It was pricey but my wife and I had a previous mattress for about 17 years so it seemed it was the right time.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience sleeping on the Back Science mattress, we're so happy to hear your satisfaction with our services, and the mattress.

Reviewed June 29, 2024

It's super comfortable. It gives me more support than my last bed. Customer support was also good. We had an issue with the remote but they took care of us right away and gave us a new one.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience sleeping on the Back Science mattress, we're so happy to hear about your satisfaction with the support of the mattress, and our customer service!

Back Science Company Information