Wells Fargo

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I took out student loans through Wells Fargo and they have since become impossible to deal with. I originally took out these loans because I was desperate to finish school and had an active savings/checking account with them so thought why not. Oh to be young. I have since cancelled my bank accounts due to incompetence on their end and am only giving them money for the student loan.

I called the other day because I am recently experiencing a hardship and wanted to see if there was anything they could do to help like postpone payments or defer them altogether. After being on hold for hours, being transferred several times, then talking with a foreign supervisor who tried hard but did not understand the situation, the best they could do for me was have me make three full consecutive payments and then I will be eligible for postponing one payment three months from now. I don't think she understood that I do not have money at this time. When I explained this to her the supervisor actually laughed.

In NO way has this bank EVER helped me with finances or improving credit or the ONE time when I was so broke and asked to make a late payment. I'm terrified to think of what would happen to my credit as well as my cosigner’s credit if these payments are not made because they're such a crummy bank and the idea of giving them ANY money makes my teeth grind. This establishment has singlehandedly put my family in a financial bind. I would never do business with them again and I encourage EVERYONE to hang on to your own money or give it to a credit union that at the very least will try to work with you, don't give it to Wells Fargo. You really are just a number with them and they will take everything they can from you.

I've been with Wells Fargo for over 6 years and have had multiple fraud charges occur within the past couple of years. Most recently, a charge came through my account for a service that I had canceled within 12 hours of initiating the request (for ADT security services). No service was rendered and I received no benefit from the company. When I called (ADT) to cancel, I was told that my e-check would be canceled and no payment would be taken from my account. Two days later however, $108.16 was taken from my account. When I called Wells Fargo to file a claim I was told they were issuing a stop payment order and the amount would be credited within 10 days.

I called back to WF 2 days later and was told they would request expedited service so the funds would be credited back in 1-2 days. I called again today (2 days after my second call) to check on the status and after waiting on hold 45 minutes, the call was DISCONNECTED. I did not receive a call back from WF so I called again, waited on hold another 30 minutes, and then finally was told that the claim had been denied because I needed to deal directly with the merchant within 3 days BEFORE the transaction came out of my account.

Keep in mind, I CALLED TO CANCEL with the merchant less than 12 hours after I initially called them, was told by their representative there would be no charges to my account and yet they still deducted the amount 2 DAYS LATER. Now Wells Fargo cannot protect my money from being fraudulently withdrawn... because I was supposed to cancel 3 days before they charged me... I canceled within 12 HOURS! WF also did not inform me until after I'd spent 1.5 hours on the phone (FOR THE THIRD TIME) that they will not protect my funds and that the claim was canceled on their end. Overall the service at Wells Fargo has dropped astronomically over the last 6 years and too many fraud charges have occurred. They no longer are able to protect my account or finances so I'll be closing my account and finding a more responsible institution to bank with.

I have been banking with Wells Fargo for over 20 years since they were Wachovia. Have never had any major issues until about a week ago I tried to login to my mobile banking and it stated I had no accounts for online or Mobile use. I tried to go on from the computer and still no luck. So I called the online and Mobile Banking Department of Wells Fargo and was told that my account had possible fraud and was being investigated so my online banking and mobile banking was shut down. The one girl told me that my account would be open back 10 days after the investigation started which is on the 21st of August. She stated that it would definitely be back by the 1st of September. I called yesterday September 2nd and the lady told me the investigation didn't start until August 28th which was the last day I called and that my mobile app and all my online banking will not be up until September 10th.

Also nobody could tell me what the investigation was for although the first lady I spoke with had asked me if I was expecting to receive a large deposit from somebody into my account. I said I had no idea. I wasn't expecting anything from anybody. I'm sure it's just a cover-up of some fraudulent activity that is happening internally just like they did with the millions of other bank accounts. I just find it funny that nobody I talked to has any clue of why my particular account as being investigated even though it's only used for Uber and for me to pay my mortgage. Definitely very suspicious and I don't even have access to view my account on a regular basis to see what the heck it is that they are doing.

I believe every executive that works for Wells Fargo should be fired should be sued and fined and have their entire lives ripped apart houses and family taken away from them for everything they've done to everybody else. I'm sure there's plenty of people that can do that simple mindless job. Let's find them hire them and get rid of these corrupt heathens.

Recently opened a bank account at Wells Fargo. I explained that I had been the victim of several identity theft situations taking YEARS to resolve and costing me thousands of dollars after bank statements were stolen out of a locked USPS mail box. I asked them to under no circumstances send ANY mail to my home address. They agreed. Then they sent statements with account numbers as well as an ATM card to my mail box. I tried to call them and talk to them about this. On 8/31 for a period of over 2 hours I spoke to eight people at 1-800-877-4833. Every single person including supervisors were unable to help me. I was placed on hold eight times. The last person I spoke to who had a strong foreign accent insisted on my giving them my FULL social security number. Then the next day they called me again, a person named Myra from executive customer service called me at my home.

She had a real bad attitude. She told me she'd give me to a customer service specialist who would help me. She got that person on the line and then said she'd explained the entire situation to him and he'd now take care of me. She had not told him anything. I retold him all I wanted was the mail to stop coming to my home, he could not help me, he had to send me to another person. The same series of events that had occurred on the previous day started all over again with my explaining to person after person I only wanted the mail to stop coming to my home, and it ended the same way as the previous day with a foreign person who had no idea how to help me asking me for my full social security number (instead of just the last four digits).

So I am complaining that Wells Fargo's customer service is by far the worst I've ever seen in my 62 years of life. That they refuse to assist me in avoiding identity theft by continuing to send statement to me via hard copy mail when I've asked them now repeatedly to stop. And also facilitating ID theft by having their agents improperly ask for my entire SSN.

Had a checking and savings account with WF from the time they merged with Wachovia. This bank is a playground for the employees who all congregate in the teller area and shout to each other jokes and get sad when you ask them to keep it down because you cannot hear the teller. In view of the CEO scandal, had no confidence in them to trust my hard earned money with the bank and moved to a local credit union - quiet, customer focused and competent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Of course it was easy to get a loan which I use to help get a car that I needed since my last car caught on fire. I've been banking with Wells Fargo for over 16 years so I figured getting a person one from them would make sense. I went on maternity leave this past summer and I did not have any income coming. My job does not offer maternity pay. I called them and asked them if they could put me on Lower payments or something or anything to help me get through the summer until I went back to work. Of course they were unable to help me. They said they don't offer any hardship assistance unless you are currently working which does not make any sense to me. How can you not help somebody when they are not making any income?

They were trying to get me to tap into my 401k do any means necessary basically to come up with this money which is ridiculous. So I've been struggling to pay them all summer because they call me every single day 3 times a day. It's actually ridiculous like they just don't care about their customers. They don't want to help. I think it's kind of sad that I've been with the bank for so long and then when I come to them in a time of need they pretty much turn me away and then just bother me even more.

How do you offer a hardship on somebody's working but if somebody goes on same eternally of and does not get paid for it that's something you can't hope. It's not like you can have a baby and go back to work the next day and they don't seem to understand anything like that and it's actually ridiculous that I have to wait till I go back to work to try to file for hardship, when all that extra money that I've been trying to get to paid in the summer I needed for diapers and stuff for the baby but they didn't seem to understand that.

If you take out a personal loan or anyone from Wells Fargo make sure you pay it on time or you'll suffer for it forever and they will not leave you alone about it and sometimes if you do go late they actually will tap into your bank account and just take the money out themselves as I have done previously and that's why I've had to pay them because I can't afford for them to go into a bank account and just take money out without me knowing when I have a child now that I have to take care of. I will never get another loan from Wells Fargo ever again and I'm very disappointed in their service and the lack of empathy that the service reps have basically "we understand you have a kid but we need you to pay this in this right now".

Why?! After entering the wrong PIN twice my account is locked and I must go into the bank to reset it per Customer Service!!! It's after hours people!!! Give me at least 3 tries then the ability to change it online!!! I'm human and do sometimes forget PINS. Thank God it's not an emergency. I will be removing my savings from WF.

Wells Fargo gladly accepted bail out money from the US Gov't. However, god forbid that a person falls on hard times, communicates to them the issue, gets behind one payment and receives harassing, incessant auto dialed calls, with extremely RUDE individuals attempting to collect a debt. Especially, when you have been a stellar client for over 10 years.

I am baffled the audacity that they hide behind their policies and procedures and do not understand the human element. Furthermore, when you address your concerns of harassment with the WELLS FARGO Office Of the President, they refuse to help you, even if you are making your payments regularly. I spent over 30 hours speaking to 30 different employees of WELLS FARGO DEALER SERVICES and they are misinformed, rude and downright the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of doing business with, I urge any that reads this to boycott the worst offending BANKER in the USA.

I had a small food service business that I had opened up inside a call center so the food was to only be sold to the private employees. I had a probationary 6 month agreement with the call center's Director of Operations to see if the food business would be successful enough to continue on after the 6 months. DaVell ** of Wells Fargo in Las Vegas (**) had come to me asking if I would be interested in a Point of Sale terminal called a Clover. I told him that I wasn't sure if my food business would be successful enough to continue to stay in business as I was in a process of finding out if I could keep my business open long enough to even consider something like the Clover. He completely lied to my face with false information. He said that it wouldn't matter if my business closed down because he would have the contract terminated with no penalty fees based on the fact that the business didn't make it. He also lied on the length of the contract itself.

He came out to the location where I was working out of the small kitchen at the call center and as I was busy working he verbally explained the contract according to him and I signed without having the ability to read the documents. Unfortunately I trusted all that he was explaining to me of the contract and signed. Well 8 weeks later I had to closed up the business as it did not do well in sales. I called LaVell and he was now singing a different tune. Telling me that the contact could not be broken and I now had to pay penalties. Well those penalties are unaffordable to me.

I called to talk to his manager named James (**) and he never returned my first call after he told me he would call me back. I left a voice message for him asking him to call me back and I have yet to receive a call from him after 4 weeks now. I am receiving letters in the mail for collection of payment and it won't be long now for my credit to be ruined. Please Do Not do business with Wells Fargo as I am not the only one to be experiencing dirty business from this bank. Avoid them at all cost or you will regret it. They will lie to your face so long as they get you to sign.

I called 07/12/2017 and spoke with Demika to update my telephone number. Needlessly to say it was not done and as a result I missed important information from them, addition to Raul not understanding English and messing up my payment when I called in. Wells Fargo is crap. And their customer service representatives need more adequate training. I guess making fake accounts was the only training they received.

My review does not include giving Wells Fargo Financial a star. Wells Fargo acquired what is now called Wells Fargo Financial from a loan finance company some years ago. Wells Fargo Financial has held up the closing of my home by their inability to provide the title company with a payoff amount. We now wonder if there is a cover up going on. We have spoke with 6 people two purporting to be a manager and was promised a pay off amount in 2 hours or at 9:00 am the morning of the close. Property to close at 11 am EST.

This process started more than 3 weeks ago and we have gotten nothing to date. Their policy is that requests are processed in 10 business days. We spoke with people who just got frustrated and hung up the phone on us. We spoke with people who did not know their job well enough to process the request. This is as recent as ten minutes ago. The excuse was to hold on the computer went down, next thing I heard the connection was gone. I still have no pay off amount, my house cannot close and I have dealt with employees that just do not care. Wells Fargo is moving toward a company who people have not faith in.

Been banking with Wells Fargo for over 15 years. The past year has been a nightmare of incompetency and apathy. It's truly shocking and I just can't do it anymore. In April, they said that we had to close down all of our accounts and start new accounts because my wife's information "was found in a fraud ring" they were tracking. This was terrible news on its own as we have several accounts most of which are tied to our business and our clients make transfers to these accounts and have for years. To start from scratch on everything was not fun. However, had I known that I would be met by an army of Wells Fargo employees who didn't care one bit about helping us out, I would have just taken our business to another bank. Instead, we began the process of setting everything up new again and it literally took more than 4 months and 10+ hours a week on the phone and email with them to get everything set and working again.

It was a gauntlet of incompetence and apathy. Truly shocking. During the process, a WF employee told me that they have seen this happening to a lot of accounts and they had heard that it might be the people Wells Fargo is using in India and that the people they are using in India are stealing customer information and using it. Of course I don't know if that's true, but it would make sense and it's crazy an employee would share that with me.

Since we have had things setup, I have run into issue after issue. This week alone, I found out that my debit card had been canceled. Very snotty local branch teller let me know when I tried to use it. Then they (same teller) told me that funds from a check we were depositing wouldn't be available for about two weeks. I get it that they need to verify funds from another national bank, but why would it take two weeks?

That experience pushed me to simply go to the other bank and setup an account with them, get a cashier's check and deposit it in the account. When I did that, they said that the Wells Fargo system was trying to put a hold on the funds for the cashier's check, which I am told is illegal. It was a fair amount of effort to get the funds in my account.

The last straw was this morning. I logged in to do a mobile deposit and was told that they were going to place a hold on the deposit and it would either be added to my account in one day or they would notify me by mail if there was a problem. Absolutely crazy to notify me by mail instead of email or calling. I can't do it anymore.

When I opened both checking and savings accounts with Wells Fargo two and a half years ago, I didn't experience any major issues with them until now. Two months ago, my checking account was in overdraft. I called the Overdraft Protection Department to make payment arrangements. As soon as my paycheck arrived in my savings account, my whole paycheck was gone! I called the bank in tears, demanding to have my money back. Despite filing a complaint against the Overdraft Protection Department, the damage was done. They disregarded the agreement, and I was labeled a liar multiple times by numerous representatives. Because of them, I couldn't pay my bills, buy groceries and almost had my electricity turned off. I've already opened a checking account with a different bank, and looking forward to severing ties with Wells Fargo. I wouldn't recommend this bank to anyone, unless if you enjoy getting screwed over.

My experiences in the city of Spokane are better than they were in Houston. Here in WA, I feel that I am getting more personalized service, although there are not as many branches. This bank was not as fast to catch on to fraud protection as other banks though. We had an issue and they accused us of being complicit. But one bank manager believed us, and we got our money back.

In 2015 my husband received an insurance settlement. The check was drawn on Wells Fargo and our bank wanted to hold it for 30 days because of the size of the check. We went to Wells Fargo to cash the check knowing they would charge a fee because we didn't have an account. Once we got up to the teller she told us she couldn't cash the check without manager approval. OK fine. The manager comes over and escorts us to her office and explains to us the only way they will cash the check is if we opened a checking and savings account and she would allow us $2500 that day and the rest would be available in the new account the next business day. We had no choice. This was his worker's compensation back pay and we needed the money to pay back rent, utilities, etc. Basically we were extorted into opening accounts. If we didn't open the account we wouldn't be able to cash the check.

My experiences are good because I know all the people at my local (small) branch of Wells Fargo. If I have a question or problem, I drive 5 minutes over there and talk to them. They have been good to me, and I have used the bank for years for many kinds of transactions. It might well be different if I banked only online or using the ATM. I'm not crazy about some of the online offers I get or the way they post notices of my bank statements online. But I also like their online service to send money to someone, newly updated to Zelle.

I love Wells Fargo. My entire family has banked with them since they purchased all of the Wachovia banks. The transition to Wells Fargo was a simple and smooth. Their apps are wonderful as well.

When my account was victimized by fraud, Wells Fargo did OK until, without warning, they denied access to download my previous year's records -- thus hampering my tax prep efforts.

Wells Fargo = professionalism and excellent customer service compared to Chase and Bank of America where I have banked before. Every encounter I've ever had, be in person, via the web or phone, I have always had a very positive experience. The person(s) I interacted with are courteous and appeared truly happy to be of service - NICE!!!

08/08/17 - Called Wells Fargo from Chile. Told must make international wire transfer IN PERSON. 08/10/17 arrived on overnight flight and handed banker a filled in form with all pertinent information on WF Check list, he submitted 8/14/17. Went to bank to inform that recipient account # was wrong and other information missing. Funds withdrawn from my account 08/10 but not received in Chile. Given a ref # after giving correct information. 08/15. Went to WF. Saw banker who again took the correct information and submitted it. 8/16 went to WF. Saw banker who confirmed information had been updated that day and gave me another ref#. 8/16 no record of funds yet in Chile. Had to fly to Chile. 8/18 Bank in Chile requested proof of transfer instructions which was asked via email and phone to WF Bank manager. 8/ 20, 21, 22 Still no funds and no proof instructions. Just a note that the bank was "escalating the process."

I have never had any issue with Wells Fargo online access, or banking services. There have been no known breaches of my personal information or any leaks of information.

The staff is always helpful however I dislike the $10 monthly fee if you don't have direct deposit, swipe your card 10 times in a month at a store or go below 1500.

Wells Fargo has mismanaged its customers' money for centuries. Their stagecoaches were robbed, almost daily, and usually it was an inside job committed by their own people during the Old West. Nowadays, they rob their customers in a multitude of shams, and schemes. Just a few: by charging ridiculous overdraft fees, unless the customer specifically declines that option. Re-ordering, or timing the transaction's documentation, or timeline, or its sequence, so that OD fees will be incurred; creating new accounts under existing customers' names, and exposing their sensitive, personal data to hackers; They're one of the reasons for the Housing/Finacial Crisis of the mid 2000's, and they're still practicing the same tactics for which they were previously fined billions, for destroying the lives of millions of honest Americans. Crooks.

When I first joined WF I was giving these people at 300-400 in overdraft fees. I begged and pleaded with them to stop holding payments and release when they collected their money. It wasn't fair. Then a class action lawsuit was brought about, it helped some but I carefully watch my account. I have a dedicated account for bills alone. They have a ways to go however, they have come a long way as well.

Account got hacked a couple years ago but Wells Fargo's fraud unit caught it. It was a major pain to close and open new accounts. Also, sold my home and took 23 days to clear proceeds check. Local attorneys' trust check. They called it 7 day hold. Weekends and holidays made it 23 days.

They will tell you anything to get you to start the loan process, assuring you all the way to the underwriter's big NO that there will be no problem. I brought up my concerns at the very beginning, and these were the factors that lead to the loan non-approval, but meeting with 3 layers of loan officers it was obvious in retrospect that they just throw anything at the wall and hope something sticks to get a nice commission.

At my local branch, the tellers and managers are always helpful and very friendly. When I was charged fees on my savings account they helped me change the type of account so it wouldn't happen again and got the charged refunded. Banking there is quick and easy.

I've been with Wells Fargo about 15 yrs. After returning from several yrs of being overseas, WF helped me reestablish bank accounts, credit, investments & auto financing. They have been responsive to problems, taken appropriate actions when needed. I'm very satisfied with Wells Fargo banking.

I have been with Wells Fargo since 2009 and never had a problem until now. I had to call Wells Fargo three times due to packages not being delivered or the package has arrived damaged. When I called customer service they transferred me to their dispute department who never filed my dispute or gave me a claim number. This wasn't the first time. I called and made two more disputes that never got filed and was even given a false claim number.

When I called Wells Fargo dispute department I was told they have no disputes on file. Got a call a few weeks ago from The Wells Fargo dispute department telling me they need more info on the dispute I filed against Vons. I never filed a dispute against Vons and told the guy everything was fine. Wells Fargo filed the dispute in error. When I contacted customer service and told them my disputes aren't being filed and if they are it's for the wrong charge I just get told "I know this must be frustrating for you." Customer Service was Unapologetic and unhelpful and rude. Currently looking for a new bank.

Clerks were rude. When I tried to cash a check drawn to me on my acct. to pay a contractor. Refused a CC, couldn't get a loan, refused to reverse a fine cause I couldn't make it to the bank due to snow. I closed the acct and don't deal with them anymore.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.
  • Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.
  • Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.
  • Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.
  • Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.
  • Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.
  • Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.
  • Best for Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions