3.6/5 (969 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Pros

• Free online banking and mobile app
    • Free money transfers
    • Large selection of financial products

Cons

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

Top Wells Fargo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Wells has always been responsive to questions and issues, both online and through my local bank. Their fraud department is first rate. When my credit card was compromised, they re...

Verified

These guys are the best banking institution we have ever worked with. They protect your account fiercely and provide you the tools to manage your money wisely. Additionally they h...

What is Wells Fargo Bank?

Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage services as well as commercial and consumer financing at 7,600 locations in 32 countries and territories around the globe. Wells Fargo mobile banking gives customers the ability to link their checking, savings, credit card and investment accounts all in one place. Customers can also deposit checks from their phones with the Wells Fargo app.

Wells Fargo financial services

Wells Fargo offers multiple products and services, including checking, savings accounts, credit cards and loans.

Wells Fargo checking accounts
    Wells Fargo has five different options for personal checking accounts — Everyday, Preferred, Portfolio, Teen and Opportunity. Businesses can select from Simple, Choice Platinum and Analyzed checking accounts. Most personal and business checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.
    Wells Fargo savings accounts and CDs
    Wells Fargo offers two savings account options, Way2Save and Platinum Savings. Wells Fargo also offers CDs, which require at least a $2,500 minimum opening deposit. CDs are available at fixed rates and step rates.
    Wells Fargo loans
    Wells Fargo offers multiple loan types, including student loans, auto loans and mortgage loans to help you buy, refinance or renovate a home. The bank offers low-APR personal loans and lines of credit ranging from $3,000 to $100,000. Wells Fargo also provides loans and lines of credit for businesses.
    Wells Fargo credit cards
    Wells Fargo has several credit card options. Almost all Wells Fargo cards have a cash back or reward program, and a few have no annual fee.
    Wells Fargo retirement services
    Wells Fargo offers traditional and Roth IRAs. You can also invest in mutual funds and manage your portfolio yourself or with the help of a Wells Fargo investment professional. The WellsTrade Mutual Fund Screened Listed makes investing simple by pre-screening mutual funds. Wells Fargo Advisors, a full-service brokerage, is available to customers to help with investment planning. You can also invest directly online and automate your investing through the Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor.
    Wells Fargo merchant services
    Wells Fargo makes running a business easy with payment processing that allows you to accept card payments onsite, online or wherever you might be. Mobile payments are available for Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Wells Fargo benefits for business owners also include Clover point-of-sale systems customized fit your business needs.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have done business with Wells Fargo for many years and most of the services they offer are done in a professional manner. They work to help you any way they can to find the right mortgage, loan, credit card, etc., that's just right for you. Their rates are competitive and offer services for whatever stage of life you're in.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I have been with Wells Fargo for 20 plus years. I have always had a great relationship with this company. Recently in the past few years they have been gradually increasing the yearly fee. I'm not happy about this. And recently I had a problem trying to get hold of my agent. I ended up talking with another agent to get my request put through. Seriously considering going through another investment Company.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2021

The easiest of deposits and transfers from accounts. Also everything is on one page I have 5 accounts can see and work with all of them. Including credit card accounts and personal loans. Direct deposit is very easy. And you are protected from fraud. No need to call them anymore because you can chat 24/7 with a real person. I know that it's a brick and mortar type bank but I never go to the back for anything. No charge for checking and no charge for saving as long as you have $300.00 or more in the account. All in all pretty awesome???

Original review: June 1, 2021

I've been with Wells Fargo for years, over 20 in fact. I've never had a problem that Wells Fargo couldn't fix. Have had one bad experience with a nasty customer service representative, but other than that one incident, I've been treated with respect. Courteous people, and very professional. I will not be changing banks. I'm quite satisfied with Wells Fargo and the service they provide me. In my opinion Wells Fargo is the greatest bank there is. I will continue to stay with them, probably until the day I pass away. I'm very pleased with Wells Fargo.

Original review: May 31, 2021

One problem I have found is if Wells Fargo has a default address for a company you want to pay, the correct address cannot be used because the address keeps changing back to the default. Consequently, I need to mail that particular bill every month rather than using Wells Fargo's online banking.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

Wells Fargo sent me a survey. If Wells Fargo values my insight, why did they allow me withdraw and close my accounts and leave the store without acknowledging the fact that they are charging me simply for having a Wells Fargo checking account with (that I have had with them since 2017 for an individual account and since I had an account with them under my mother's account)? Since 2020, Wells Fargo had been charging me $10 a month for 25 months and did not show me that I was being charged a monthly service fee until January 7, 2022.

I went to this Wells Fargo location: 6501 Airport Blvd Ste 200, Austin, TX 78752, and spoke to two men there, with the intention that I would get my money back. However, since one of the men (I think he may have been a manager of some type, but I was not sure) had told me that every bank does it (so it makes it okay for Wells Fargo to do it, too, right? Because every bank does it!), and since he tried to get me to stay without simply giving me my money back, I simply agreed to close and withdraw the accounts. I was told that if I wanted to deactivate the debit card, I had to call the number on the back of the card.

The woman I spoke to over the phone asked me why I wanted to deactivate my debit card. I told her that Wells Fargo was taking my money. She asked if this was due to fees or if someone from Wells Fargo was stealing my money. Why is Wells Fargo charging me a fee for having a checking account? Is Wells Fargo doing this as a way to steal money from customers who only use their accounts to receive money, transfer funds, and send money to other people? Is it because I don't finance with them and all that nonsense? I do not owe Wells Fargo a penny, let alone $10, let alone $10 a month for 25 months. Wells Fargo owes me $250. They didn't care that I was being charged money for nothing. They did not care that I have been a customer with them for a long time. I do not owe Wells Fargo money. They owe me $250.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

My husband's Wells Fargo account keeps getting hacked! Wells Fargo provides absolutely no assistance in preventing this over and over... They are unable to protect his business and personal accounts.. He has changed the password 20 times and yes he continues to get hacked... I was just hacked today - what is the problem Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

On December 13th, 2021, I received an email that Wells Fargo had not received the auto payment from my bank. Since the bank had sent a check, it hadn't reached WF yet. (It did later that same day). However, since I was concerned about future payments not being received in time because of US mail delay, I had WF person walk me through setting up an auto payment for them to withdraw funds from bank so I would never be late on a payment.

The same day, Dec 13, 2021 at 12:21 PM, I received confirmation "Thank you for setting up an automatic payment" which states that "Effective 01/13/2022 and then monthly on your due date". Today I received a notice that my 01/13/2022 has not been received. When I called WF, I was told that no automatic payment was set up. I asked for a manager and he told me the same thing. They had no record of it and, I assume, I would be charged a late fee. I asked him to file a complaint on my behalf and wanted an explanation but he seemed quite uninterested. He did not want my copy of confirmation and really didn't seem to care that they have a problem in their system.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I have been a Wells Fargo bank customer for over 18 yrs now. You could have $30 in your account and if a $40 transaction comes through they will return the transaction and charge you a $35 overdraft fee. Either way your account will still be overdrawn and you're paying a extra $35 to their bank. We are still in a pandemic last I checked plus BOA and Chase Bank have cut their overdraft fees $10. Capital One have eliminated the overdraft fee all together. Anyone looking for a good bank to do Business with I would advise Chase BOA or Capital One. I am definitely ending my banking relationship with Wells Fargo. The worst Bank in America.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Wells Fargo is Terrible. Today is 1-11-2022 and I accidentally overpaid them on 12-20-2021 so I called them when I realized. Spoke to a representative. I told her about my overpayment. She said, "Ok I see it, that's a lot of money I have to put that under investigation." I said, "Excuse me have you ever heard of people wanting to be debt free for the New Year that would be me, And just for the record that's not a lot of money. I paid you electronically it was not a check or a money order there is nothing to investigate, Please send me my money." She said it will take 7 to 10 days.

So here we go 22 days later and they still haven't sent me my money and they are still talking out the side of their necks. How insulting so I have stressed out and it's giving me anxiety that a bank would steal from a Sr. Citizen and the icing on the cake is if it was a consumer that owed them money they would destroy your perfect credit for $1. They have over $2000 of my dollars and there is nothing I can do but write these reviews and let people know. Nothing is ethical about Wells Fargo. The Worse of the Worst or lower.

Take a Mortgage Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Wells Fargo fees

Wells Fargo’s monthly service fees for checking accounts range from $0 to $30, though service fees are waived for teenagers and college students between 17 to 24 years old. Monthly service fees for business checking accounts range from $10 to $40. The bank charges a $5 or $12 monthly fee on savings accounts. Wells Fargo's checking account fees can be avoided by maintaining a specific average balance or completing a minimum number of transactions each month. Also, expect fees for late credit card payments and overdraft charges unless your checking and savings accounts are linked.

Wells Fargo check cashing fee
        You only have to pay a Wells Fargo Bank fee to cash a check if you don’t have an account. The cost for nonmembers to cash a check at a Wells Fargo bank is $7.50.
        Wells Fargo transfer fee
        It costs $0 to transfer money between Wells Fargo accounts or for bank-to-bank transfer service.
        Wells Fargo overdraft fee
        Wells Fargo charges a $35 overdraft fee per item.
        Wells Fargo ATM fee
        ATM fees are $0 for Wells Fargo customers when they use a Wells Fargo ATM. Cash withdrawals at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are $2.50 each, and account balance inquiries are $2 each.
        Wells Fargo foreign transaction fee
        Wells Fargo’s foreign transaction fees reach up to 3% on some accounts. Outside of the U.S., ATM cash withdrawals are $5 each and ATM accounts transfers are $2 per transfer.
        Wells Fargo cash advance fee
        Wells Fargo’s cash advance fees are up to $12.50 per transaction. Credit advances vary based on the account.

Wells Fargo Bank FAQ

Does Wells Fargo have 24/7 customer service?
        Yes, Wells Fargo has 24/7 customer service available by phone and online.
        Is Wells Fargo a commercial bank?
        Yes, Wells Fargo provides commercial banking services and products for individuals and businesses.
        What states have Wells Fargo banks?
        Wells Fargo has locations throughout the U.S. in all states except Hawaii, Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massasschetts, Rhode Island and Maine.
        What are Wells Fargo’s dealer services?
        Wells Fargo’s dealer services provide indirect auto financing, commercial products and banking services to auto dealers.
        How old do you have to be to open a bank account at Wells Fargo?
        You can open a Wells Fargo account with a parent or guardian at 13 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to open an account on your own.

Is Wells Fargo a good bank?

Wells Fargo offers many options to handle your financial needs, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investments and loans. Compared to other banks, interest rates and fees are average. Overall, Wells Fargo’s products and services are robust and allow you the convenience to bank however and wherever you like.

Wells Fargo Company Information