1.93/5
Based on 375 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2398 Wells Fargo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

A new client sent me a check for deposit on work that I am doing for him. Normally I get paid through wire transfer or PayPal. There's a Wells Fargo branch a mile from here so I went in to just cash it out of his account rather than mail it to my bank which is in a different state. The clerk asked me if I had an account, and I said no. She took my two forms of ID and then counted out the cash which I noted was short. She explained AFTER SHE NEGOTIATED THE CHECK that there was a $7.50 "check cashing fee". If she had told me that before I would have just mailed it to my bank in Boston. What a bunch of dishonest **.

Original review: July 17, 2018

This is a formal complaint against Wells Fargo Bank. The bank have shared my personal information without proper authorization. Wells Fargo Bank have been responsible for the protection of your clients' information. The bank have not been responsible for keeping the privacy of your clients, and have also mixed The financial information of my small business with my personal information. In other words they have been mixing a business finances as if it were personal, when they are separate and independent finances. Wells Fargo Bank shared my information without authorization to the government.

This is not the first time it happened, many times they have done it, this is the bank policy or practice, they disclosing my information, and I have evidence of that. Wells Fargo have violated my rights, which are written in the law. Wells Fargo Bank did not have any authorization, or consent to disclose, spread or disseminate my personal or business information to anyone. I have the right to request the security of my personal information and to challenge a violation of consumer information laws. This complaint may be shared with other government agencies or publicly disclosed. See (FCRA) and the Florida Bill of Rights.

Wells Fargo • 2398 Customer Reviews and Complaints • ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 17, 2018

I own a construction business and have banked with Wells Fargo for over 7 years. I have not been completely satisfied with their service from the fraud department to help with transactions, however what happened today left me wanting to take my money elsewhere. I found some hard to find tools last min in another state at a good price. I just happened to have a friend visiting that very town and was willing to pick them up for me but they were leaving the next morning so I had to get them the funds to purchase the tools today. That doesn't seem too difficult considering they also have a personal Wells Fargo account. I stop into a local branch with cash to deposit into their account. The banker tells me that they can no longer accept cash to be deposited into an account without my name on it.

So ok I turn the cash I, to a Wells Fargo money order so it can be deposited. Well that's all fine but the funds won't be available now until at least 24 hours later. So I ask can we just transfer the money from my Wells Fargo account to their Wells Fargo account and have the funds available? Nope! Apparently in this day and age there is no possible way to transfer funds from one Wells Fargo account to another Wells Fargo account and have those funds be immediately available. They tell me it is Federal Regulation now that you can't deposit cash into another person's bank account. So I guess there's nothing they can do about that. But to have no other way to make those funds available for their customers is unbelievable. I had to go to Walmart and have the money sent Walmart to Walmart in order to get the tools that I needed. It wasted half of my day.

I will be transitioning to another institution and I do not recommend using Wells Fargo for your banking needs. I was amazed to see how poor Wells Fargo's reviews were. This is the first time that I've read them. I run to small businesses and it is imperative that my customer service is impeccable. I don't know how Wells Fargo can stay in business when they have so many unsatisfied customers.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Stay away from Wells Fargo. Go elsewhere!!! Had a charge on my credit card this morn that I could not remember if I made it or not so... I called it in to put a dispute on it. No they could not. They said, "It's our bank policy to put a 48 hour hold on card", till I remember it or a stop on card and in 8-10 days I will get a new card. Heck no. I need this card... so they put a stop on my card. I am done with this bank and going back to American Express and Chase.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Occurred in Jamestown ND. According to Wells Fargo site... 'Joint ownership. This option gives your child the ability to use the savings account while you monitor account activity. Both you and your child can make deposits and withdrawals. An optional ATM card is available for your child. The account may be linked to a Wells Fargo Debit Card. Wells Fargo Online® access is available when your child reaches age 13. Adding a beneficiary on the account is recommended.'

2 weeks prior WF employee did not question him depositing the check from an employer. 7/6 Wells Fargo employee told my son that an adult had to be with him. When clearly the account does not limit or state that. 7/10 My son and my girlfriend (who my son works for) went to deposit the check and the clerk proceeded to tell my girlfriend to scratch out his name and write 'CASH' in the payable to line. My girlfriend said, "I am not asking for cash." The clerk said that is the only way we can cash the check. My son and my girlfriend proceeded to tell the clerk that the check was going into my son's and my 'joint saving-minor account'. Clerk indicated that she could cash it and then my girlfriend could pay my son in cash. My girlfriend's business can't do that for legal and tax reasons.

So they leave and my son and I go into the store and the clerk tells me that my son has not access to the account. I said, "His name is on it." She blathers on about 'this is how we have always done it and I have been here for 6 years.' I ask what Wells Fargo 'child account' for a child is for if they cannot make deposits in their own account? She really had no explanation. I said, "so every time my son wants to make a transaction, I need to be here?' She said, 'YES'. I proceeded to tell her that is why I got the 'child account' 7 years ago, so my son could make the transactions and save money. She said, "You can change to a different account where he can do that." I said, "The account I have is exactly for that according to your company web page." She further stated again 'that is how we do it."

I ask for a customer service rep that could assist us, unfortunately... no one was available to help us. We proceeded with making the transaction (as I figured out this was going nowhere with this person). I have since contacted Wells Fargo - customer support, awaiting response... People if you want customer service... use a credit union.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: July 7, 2018

Wells Fargo has screwed up our business account changes every. Single. Time. From erroneously changing business information to personal accounts, lost paperwork, and a profound incompetence with signing privilege changes, Wells Fargo has been a frustrating experience all around. Do not bank here. Go elsewhere. The recent changes because of lawsuit has actually made things worse, because all managers are extremely paranoid and have extra hoops to jump through. Customer service suffers as a result.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I have a Chase Manhattan card with a 21,000 credit limit and WF Cash Wise Visa 5000 credit limit. I make large payments like 2500 to 3000 a month to WF and have never been late. Every time I make a payment they put a hold on the money paid. I pay from BofA and it takes 24 hours to clear and yet WF puts a hold and won’t credit my account. What kind of crap is that? Chase has never done that EVER!!! I like the card but this feature sucks. Stupid... change the policy WF.

Original review: July 6, 2018

While in a move, my wife and I did not make a final payment before the promotion ended and a lump sum interest amount was added. I called Wells Fargo to ask for a reprieve. While I did not gain any satisfaction with customer service, I was transferred to the Executive Services Department where Debbie answered and listened to my plight. It didn't take long for her to understand and allow me to make the final payment without the lump sum interest added on. We are very appreciative of this opportunity to avoid the added on interest. THANK YOU!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I allow my rent and a few other bills to come out of my savings account. After everything was done, my saving was $0.00 (That's fine for now). Wells Fargo hits me with an $15.00 Excessive Banking Fee, because of too many withdrawals. At the very same time a $26.00 transaction is processing, disappears, and reappears in my account (making my balance more than what it should be). HOWEVER, in the middle of all this, my balance has now become $11.00. Then they charge me $35.00 for the $26.00 transaction that had already been taken out and accounted for. Now my account is -$24.00 with the $26.00 still needing to come out. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! I got on the phone and make them correct it.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Hi, I'm a Wells Fargo customer. I'm Brazilian and I have a bank account for almost 2 years. I came last month to realize my dream of study Kung Fu in China and unfortunately I lost my debit card in Hong Kong while I was applying for my Chinese visa. I do not have a US mobile number nor a Social Security number. I was waiting to find the martial arts school address to ask the bank to send me a new card.

For the last few days I'm trying to solve my money problems with Wells Fargo but at the end of the calls you always say that you cannot validate my informations and I stay sad and worried because I do not have enough money in cash to keep living in China and I cannot transfer money to other accounts. I really would like you to help me in any way you can, whether enabling me to make a wire transfer or sending me a new debit card. I can send you my passport copies, my ID copies, my driver's license, my birth certificate, my tax number or any other document to prove my identity. I hope you help me or I will need to make an effort and go to the Brazilian and American embassy to ask for their help.

You do not know really how frustrating it is. Such a modern society we live with lots of technology and you cannot help me to validate my information asking to go to a branch in US while I'm stuck here in China. I know that you are not guilty of losing my card. I understand that the bank system has its platforms and you should follow rules. But you should not be robots and open exceptions in emergency cases like mine.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I went to pay off my Wells Fargo Advantage Card. I paid it 2 days after the due date. I called and confirmed my balance owed was $3,186.31. My statement read $3,292.81. I had paid my monthly for the previous month late, making the difference in balance. As I was paying again 2 days late. I asked and made sure the new late fee was included as well. They said yes. Stated again the total balance. I then went and paid off my balance. Then 3 days after confirmation, the new statement arrived.

This new statement had a Interest Charge of $69.03 on my zero balance statement. I called. They claimed since I paid 2 days after the due date, they charged me interest for the full upcoming month on the new statement. When I contested that the new statement should show $0 as it was created after I paid the balance off. They only were able to repeat the reason again. I closed my account on the spot and then proceeded to close all 4 other accounts with Wells Fargo. I never again will be a WF customer. They already were walking on pins and needles for their wave of fraudulence and theft from their clientele.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I used a Wells Fargo ATM and a big red alert popped up stating the transaction could not be processed. However when I checked my account they had deducted $500 from my account. I disputed it but just got a bunch of people stating some other department will take care of it but no one ever did. They took this money. Will not return it due to “machine failure”... crooks.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I have been trying for 6 months to get the money out of my child's education savings plan that is with Wells Fargo. Every time I speak to them, they have another form to fill out, each time I am told this will solve the problem and it never gets my child their college money. I now send in forms with the date of the version of the form and record which supervisor I speak to about the most recent needs. I am trying to see the humor in their incompetence but hope my child doesn't graduate from college before they get their act together. Each submission I give my cell phone number but they never call with a problem. Just send snail mail 3 wks later. Terrible company. DO NOT INVEST WITH THEM IF YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR MONEY AGAIN.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Knowingly deposited fraudulent checks into my account. They should have called me before they deposited them. Also I received copies I of the checks and saw that my name was fraudulently signed on the back.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I expect when calling Wells Fargo [800] Customer Assistance number that providing assistance is the bank employees’ primary purpose. I called WF to raise the withdrawal limit on my check debit card, for one transaction. The customer assistance employee refused. I asked for a manager. When the WF Customer Assistance Manager understood my request—her solution—pass me to a different department. With sufficient funds, the proper bank customer verification protocol complete - the Customer Assistance Manager refused to listen to my situation. Every time I asked her if she would listen to me, she refused. I can’t remember a time when a business refused to listen to a request, or a complaint.

Wells Fargo Bank “Ease To Do Business Transactions With,” is difficult. And dealing with the WF Customer Assistance Manager, her behavior was improper and unwelcome. I did receive my funds. I left the store where my WF debit card was declined. I found a Wells Fargo branch bank. I gave my debit card to the teller and requested the funds that I needed. Within a minute or two I had my money in-hand. Perhaps this situation can be chalked-up to a bad day for all involved in this drama. We all have those from time-to-time. On the other hand, it may have been a case of hubris—the result of ignorance and self-importance on the part of the Wells Fargo Customer Assistance Manager. Either way, the situation was unacceptable.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Worst customer service. I've been with WF for decades and it's so unfortunate how terrible their service is getting every year regarding the way they treat their customers on the phone. They made a mistake today and put a stop on one of my automatic bill pays for no reason, took 45 min of my time, transferring me from one department to another ("Lynn" at the fraud department especially was the most incompetent and extremely rude) to finally tell me after 4 transfers that they don't know why it happened! Wow! How would I trust a bank like that with my money? It's finally time to switch banks...

Original review: June 25, 2018

I tried to do a simple transfer--set it up monthly--to pay from main account to credit card account. It took 6 phone calls. They deleted my sign on. One girl hung up on me. I actually had to take anxiety pill as it was that upsetting. Happened last week also. The very day I retire, I am changing all of my accounts to where my husband has our main account. The worst experience I have ever had with a financial institution. And please get a new background music cd--unbelievable.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We had a large wire transfer money from our account to closing house. BUT MS. ** who did not double check her job and transfer to wrong account! It took 48 hrs. To get it back and it costs me almost $400.00 for the expense. I complained to the bank ask for that expense. They refused. Because of a employee was neglecting and bank refused to do anything about that. I considered to close my account. DO NOT USE WELLS FARGO BANK! Stay away from them.

Original review: June 22, 2018

As a long time WF and Bank of America Customer I frequently transfer funds from one bank to another. I recently transferred funds electronically only to find WF is holding access for 13 days. When I called to find out I was told that they could hold for 30 days, but if I faxed a copy of the transaction they would consider releasing faster. With all the Customer dissatisfaction trouble WF is experiencing is this really the right decision?

Original review: June 21, 2018

Wells Fargo closed my account because they do not accept Storage Facilities as a residency. I live on site only, I do not have another address, they will not allow me to have a bank account because I will not lie and give them a false address. So, they are telling me they do not have ANY On-site Storage Managers as customers because of where they are living??? That's a LIE. I was in the process of building my credit and now all the effort I put in is lost because of this. After the whole debacle of Wells Fargo opening false bank accounts I still gave them a chance at my business, but no, they ARE a ** company with outdated policies and shady practices. I wish they go down. They are a dishonest company and the U.S. is better without it.

Original review: June 20, 2018

My husband ordered a replacement debit card. One week after he got it we saw a charge from Amazon for 14.14. We reported it and ordered a new card. They failed to tell us it's happening to customers all over Virginia and didnt offer an explanation of why its happening.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Very bad and disappointing. I suggest you get a different bank that takes care of their customers. This bank Policy sucks! My husband has been a good customer for over a year no late & most of the time we pay early on his personal loan. He asked for an extension (first time, never asked for this before in any of our accounts with them) 1 or 2-month. Reason I lost my job. Told them it's short-term because I already got a new job & will start in July. They slapped us with a big NO! Why? Because the problem we have should be "fixed" first before they can process an extension request. If our problem is fixed we would not have called them & asked for an extension. The main logic of extension is to help their customers in tough times. They will wait for the account to be delinquent (because you can't pay) before they help. What sort of policy is that?

I believe anyone asking for extension has "an ongoing" problem that's the reason customers like us call. So basically even if you do your best to pay on time or early when times get tough and you need help, don't expect for them to help you out. What good is an extension if your problem has been resolved? you won't need an extension if you don't have a problem. Also, their message center is useless! they just email you (not sure if it's a real person or an auto-response) and tell you your concern has been forwarded to a different department that will contact you. But don't expect for that department to call.

Original review: June 15, 2018

On May 22nd I met with Aysha ** at the Morris Ave Union branch of Wells Fargo, to request a Date of Death Balance Request Form. I gave her a copy of my aunt's death certificate, executor certificate and my driver's license. Miss ** advised me one would take 5 days and would be mailed to me. I waited 10 days then called to see when it would be coming. The young lady I spoke with said there was no record of the request and that I would have to come back to the Union branch to request a copy again. I did not return there, called and met with Jacob ** at the ITC Flanders branch. Mr. ** took my information and I am very happy to say I received a call from him when the form was received. He understood I wanted to get it to my lawyer as soon as possible so allowed me to come there and pick it up. Raises for Mr. ** and retraining for Miss **!!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I closed my account out 2 and a half years ago. Still haven't received my money. I have to spend hours on the phone with these imbeciles begging them for my money back. Avoid them like you would a naked crackhead.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The Wells Fargo online system does not match up to the multiple departments you will be transferred to after they waste your precious time. Your time means zero, zilch, nada to Wells Fargo representatives. Many that are all too quick to hit the disconnect button on you if you make too much sense and don't allow them to steamroll you. Seven calls later, several department transfers later; several country hops later; several different inconsistent responses later to even the simplest questions results in “unfortunately” and “I do apologize” being the trained monkey responses these employees have been scripted to fall back on.

Communicating with Wells Fargo is like that nightmarish feeling you get of being stuck in quick sand. Dealing with Wells Fargo as little as possible is the best advice I can offer anyone even thinking about doing business with that company. I was a long-standing customer and hoped they were improving their business practices after the many black eyes they gave to themselves recently. They have only gotten worse. Shut it down, Wells Fargo. Time to move on.

Original review: June 13, 2018

In general I am not satisfied. I have a personal loan through them that until recently I was able to pay. I'm about 1.5 months behind now. They call nonstop. I have explained to them that I have no income at the moment, that I would be homeless and living in my car if not for someone allowing me to live with them but that as such I only have a bedroom to call my own and that I am only buying necessities such as medications, health insurance, gas to get to whatever odd jobs I do find and food. I have told them I need about 11,000.00 worth of urgent but not immediately life-threatening medical procedures done, as well, which has not even been started yet to prioritize paying immediate bills.

I even told them that I am full time student in good standing, with an internship, who is close to being finished with a good degree in a high paying field explicitly so that I am able to repay loans. After each conversation they say that I do not qualify for Financial Hardship. The last time they called they went through a rather invasive list of questions, which included "encouraging" me to beg friends and family for money and borderline accusing me of spending money on luxuries (which is not the case as I am a minimalist by choice and by nature) to try to "help" me get caught up on payments. I am also severely ADHD and depressed. The depression and anxiety is under control, however the severe ADHD is still in the process of finding the right dosage of medication.

I'm not one to make excuses, mind you. I have struggled for years to control my ADHD and pay my bills on time, keep my grades up, etc. I couldn't and now I'm getting medicated for it. I would love to show up with a lawyer and shove that in their faces, but I can't afford a lawyer. I don't know what qualifies you for Financial Hardship if telling someone that you're one step away from being homeless and living in your car (which they can't repossess, thankfully! ), while needing medical procedures to keep you from developing life-threatening conditions and battling severe ADHD and keeping depression in check, but still being a good student who will be getting paid well in a little over a year, doesn't.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchased a gift for my daughter from a local jewelry store using the Wells Fargo Jewelry Advantage account with no interest if paid in full by a specific date. I have paid triple the minimum payment every month and will pay it off three months early. I pay through my bank and was one day late twice and received a $38 late fee. I was wrong to get the payment to them late but outraged at the late fee as I have had a WF account for years, always make more than the minimum payment and have a high credit score. I spoke with three supervisors before they removed the late fee. The third supervisor, Isaac **, in spite of the "retail account rules" waived the fee and was professional and polite. Thank you Isaac. I paid the balance in full, minus the late fee. I appreciate the consideration.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have banked with Wells Fargo for almost ten years and I am appalled at the terrible treatment I have received from your company. I deposit my payroll check which also comes from a Wells Fargo account for over a year with no problems, and the last few check have been held for no reason until I call in and they release them. My last payroll check was rejected without my knowledge as I was emailed a receipt stating that funds will be available the next day. When I called to see why my check was not released they told me that my check was rejected and they didn't have a reason why. They told me that I would have to call on Monday.

Filed a complaint with your executive branch and was told that I would hear from someone within one business day. I did not hear from anyone and had to call them back in which I was placed on hold and transferred from department to department FOR 2 HOURS. Then I was informed by your executive office that the department I needed had just closed and that they refused to help. They told me to call back tomorrow. They have made no attempt to resolve my issue.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I relocated to Michigan from Florida not realizing there were no bank branches in Michigan. A Netflix charge went through at that time. I tried to close my account over the phone and was told I had to close it in person. Obviously that was not possible. I was charged $75 in bank fees and insufficient funds and the bank refused to remove any of the charges stating I could only get them resolved in person at a branch. :( Wells Fargo, you **!

Original review: June 7, 2018 Brand new customer relocated from NY to GA and decided to open a local bank account with Wells Fargo as my main bank does not have a physical branch in GA. From the bankers to the online banking to the over the phone customer service absolutely horrendous. "Bankers" do not listen nor value your business to try to resolve an issue you may be experiencing. The online website to check your account summary is never working and tells you to try back later. Is this company serious, is this how you value customers and think how a business as large as you are to be ran so poorly with this it's not my problem attitude and mentality??

Needless to say I just opened this account not even a full month, will be withdrawing my funds, closing my account with atrocious bank and do not have to worry as I will never do business with this facility nor recommend this bank.

Wells Fargo expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.

• Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.

• Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.

• Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.

• Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.

• Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.

• Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.

• Best for: Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg