1.64/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2506 Wells Fargo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have been getting access code request frequently. This is a big issue for me, because I travel abroad often. Which means I do not have time to be calling customer service. The online service is extremely underwhelming, as is the whole Wells Fargo banking system in general. I’m thinking either a credit union or Bank of America, very soon.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Wells Fargo's security has to be the worst Bank security I have ever encountered. We kept getting random withdrawals that we never made. This happened to us three different times with large amounts of money. We also have replaced our debit card three different times. Obviously security is the main priority for a bank which in my experience with Wells Fargo, they do not follow that priority as well as they should.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I took out a student loan from Wells Fargo to attend nursing school. Before my loan was in repayment and I received a letter stating what my payment would be I called to notify them I could not afford the payment and to try to arrange something more affordable. They told me everything to apply for and denied me everything. Fast forward almost 3 years and I have tried to reconsolidate twice, applied to pay by income 3 time and they continue to deny me telling me in the exact words "you can afford it." They tell me they don't take any of my other debt into consideration then in their threatening/harassing letters it states they do take it into consideration. They contradict themselves and do nothing to help.

I have continued to pay $100 to 400 a month and they continue to threaten me. They set me up with the executive office after expressing my frustration and my inability to pay the 1200 they expect from me and they made it sound promising they would work with me. All to call me a week later stating there's nothing they can do and telling me again directly I can afford it. They have royally screwed me on my credit and because I've gotten so behind I will never be able to refinance anywhere else and my fiance and I will never get a mortgage because I'll be paying on this until I die. Wells Fargo are scammers, liars and thieves. I would've rather not gone through nursing school and not be indebted to this criminal company.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

20 plus year customer here. Recently received an email from Wells Fargo advising me that they were replacing my debit card with a new one as a matter of routine caution. Also was given a list of auto pay accounts I had set up and was advised by Wells Fargo to update the debit card info with each merchant that I wanted to continue auto pay with as once my new card was active they would no longer honor the old card.

I updated all except a monthly newspaper subscription which I no longer wanted. That newspaper debited my account a full year’s subscription without my consent using the old card and when I tried to call them to cancel and dispute the charge they continually put me on permahold. I called Wells Fargo assuming that they would reverse the charge the day after it hit my account and was told by Wells Fargo that they do indeed honor the old card as well as the new one and that this was a dispute I would have to handle myself. Needless to say I am closing my accounts with them as I can no longer trust anything they say. It’s not the money that bothers me, it’s Wells Fargo’s lack of honesty and integrity that is unacceptable to me.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I bought a property from Wells Fargo that was located in Zephryhills Fl. To buy this I had to, go along with the title company they use Boston National Title. Boston Title miscalculated the pro ration of taxes. They credited me with $1202. I closed this nightmare on Oct 12 2018, my tax bill arrived 2 days ago for $1716, contacted the title company. They said they could do nothing and Wells Fargo would not also. So beware dealing with Wells Fargo in buying any property they own and especially watch out for Boston Title. Looks like they are in bed together.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

End of 2017 due to a full on series of misfortunes leading to severe hardship, I was unable to continue to pay the mortgage I had on a property in VA. Right from the start I was completely honest with the Bank. My home was not in the best of conditions, and early in 2018 my house was placed for sale for what the Bank considered to be Fair Market Value this being way above its actual worth according to two Realtors who had looked at it, one of which was working with the Bank. It is now November of 2018, many months passed with little to no co-operation from the Bank, in fact whilst my case was held within the Short Sale Department one of the associates (of which I had many) told me I had been very badly treated.

The Bank insisted that its Fair Market Value was what they were holding out for, and to that end, only one further offer was made and refused. I am now with the Department of 'Deed in Lieu' of Foreclosure, and still cannot get anyone to talk to me, all they do and have continued to do is repeatedly asked for information supplied over and over again, days and weeks pass by and I cannot get anyone to let me know what the status of my case is. Please, BEWARE, this is not a Bank that works with their customers.

I'm told that it can take a year to resolve some of these issues, however, had the Bank not insisted on such an unfair inflated Fair Market Value for my home that needed so much work and not ever going to sell, proved only by the lack of interest and lack of offers, this could and should have been over work some while ago. The stress alone has been incalculable, does the Bank care, you will find that out for yourself should you walk the road I've travelled this year. Good Luck in all you do.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Applied for a Home Equity loan in Oct. 2018, after filling out application and fax all my personal information to them twice. Same forms. Different days. I have a 830 credit score, own and paid off 2 houses and have a mortgage on another that my girlfriend and I own together. She makes the payments, The house is worth about 300,000 and We owe 90000. Wells Fargo denied me a home equity loan because I don't have enough income. I am retired and get about 3300 a month, a car payment is my only payment. So at this point I am very disappointed in Wells Fargo.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Overdraft protection is a complete scam. Wells Fargo is unethically forcing this "service" on their customers - which requires they pay $35 every time they overdraft. There is no way to turn this "service" off, and you will be lucky if you get HALF of ONE fee back. It is not about helping consumers what-so-ever. They won't hesitate to decline you when you swipe your card, but they let reoccurring payments go thru every time. It is 100% about taking money from people. Two small reoccurring payments ($70 overdraft fee in one day) just cost me 10% of my paycheck. Wells Fargo, and any other bank forcing this immoral service on their consumers should be fined and charged with wire fraud. I am so done with this deceitful bank.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My card was lost, the finder used my card to make purchases not authorized by me. WF included a payment I did not report as fraudulent; that payment was not paid to my creditor; my credit card was suspended, causing a hardship for me as I am trying to repair my home after Hurricane Florence, this was WF error & they admitted that. My account was credited, debited and debited. I spoke to a banker over the phone and in person. Very confusing, nothing but highway robbery & poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had a business with a credit card account. The business went under. I made payments for a while but ran out of money. After a while they called me and offered a settlement. We agreed to terms and I paid half that day. I made the second payment on time. The day the last payment was due I called them and explained that I needed a few more days for the last payment. The rep said that was fine. I called a couple of days later ready to make the last payment of $150. The rep then informed me that because the last payment was late that they would not honor the agreement and that I now owed the full balance.

After going back and forth without results I hung up and asked for his supervisor. He was rude and told me too bad I owed all the money. I sent a letter to the CEO. Apparently he just forwarded it to the same department. That was months ago and hadn't heard anything until today when I received a call from a collector. I told her the story and started talking about the ads they are currently running talking about how we should trust them again because they trusted us after the earthquake in the 1800's and the ads they're running trying to counter the news stories about them opening accounts without customers approving and she started talking over me. I told her that was very rude and she just kept talking. So I hung up on her. So much for them earning my trust back. I've only been a customer for over 20 years and have five accounts with them, but I guess that doesn't matter. Go somewhere else.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have been a member for 10 months. Have had multiple issues with mobile/text banking. Plus why does your company offer OD Rewind if you don't cover the items when I need you to? This was supposed to be a pilot account in an effort to win my commercial account. It doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I had a checking account opened with Wells Fargo for almost 4 months. I rarely used the account and paid the $10 monthly fee. I made minor deposits throughout the months and did not overdraft the account. On 10/30 I deposited a check for $3900 at the teller and they told me $400 would be available immediately. The remaining balance would be available on 10/31. I noticed only $300 was available so I thought nothing of it. The money was never released on 10/31. On 11/01 Wells Fargo put a hold on the check and took back the available funds. I called them on 11/01 for an explanation and a rep told me that the issuing bank Liberty Savings Credit Union (LSCU) called Wells Fargo and told them to put a hold on the check because of fraudulent activity was detected with LSCU account. I called LSCU and they told me that they did not call Wells Fargo.

LSCU advised me that the money was withdrawn to Wells Fargo on 10/31. LSCU also stated that if Fraudulent activity was detected the funds wouldn't have been released to Wells Fargo so fast. Despite Wells Fargo receiving the funds the next day, they put a hold on the check till 11/7. They lied to me twice, about releasing the funds and the reason for the hold. How can Wells Fargo know what's going on at another bank? They could of come up with a better reason to put a hold on the check. Once the check clears, I will be going to the bank to withdraw my funds and close the account.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have a personal account, I have a business account, I have a safe deposit box, I have a business credit card account, for the last 15 years. I have not found any major issues with my accounts. I am their happy quiet customer. Their customer is as good as any other bank if not better. They charge for stuff just as much as other banks.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My dad put money in my account so I can get food for my children. The bank won't let me access the money until the next business day instead of giving me the money when it is put in. The manager and teller Carlos were both rude and disrespectful. The manager who would not tell me her name outright insulted me by saying I should make my children go to bed without dinner.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

This is the worst bank ever. They made their own transactions so they can charge you whatever they want. Not only they take your money but they ruin your credit. This bank should not be allowed to practice business.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Why is this bank still in business? Probably that’s why they cater more to Hispanics and non speaking English people. Transaction are disappearing and reappearing making you think you have that amount. This bank intentionally do it to overdraft your account. Put this bank out of business people.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I made a deposit from my husband's bank (Not Wells Fargo) on October 26th. Today is November 2nd. I received an overdraft notice. Turns out Wells Fargo only put a portion (less than half) of the deposit I made on October 26th. My husband verified with his bank that all of the funds were taken from his account immediately. I called Wells Fargo Corporate. THIS WAS A 55 MIN CALL and I was transferred 3 times. They told me the Wells Fargo Branch I made the deposit at was holding the funds and they (corporate) said they are reaching out to that branch to request the funds be released into my account.

I received a call from the branch manager. He said they are not holding funds. He said they did not receive all of the funds from my husband's bank. Keep in mind, my husband has been with his bank for more than 30 years and he didn't believe any of this for one minute. He contacted management at his bank. That person said they never heard of that before and that it was completely false - Wells Fargo did indeed receive the entire amount all at one time. What are they doing with money that belongs to me?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I applied for a credit card, and card did not arrive to my address. I called them to find out what was going on (It has been a month). Customer Service guy says the card was returned to them because I was not at that address (which was crap) - I was living at this same place for over 2 years and guess what I have a mortgage loan with Wells Fargo on the same address I am living at. Now here comes the kicker, Somehow they updated my address to my 2 year old address, so this was figured out after 40 mins of taking confirming my details etc... etc... now transferred me to fraud service... gave all my info again etc... etc. Now the phone got disconnected. I never got a call back.

I called them back 10 mins on hold (Listening to some music) again bunch of confirmations - and finally after 15 mins they say sorry I have to go to the closest Wells Fargo back to give my ID proof and thats when my hold on my account will be released (Now I wasted 1:20 mins of my time just for some ridiculous mistake they have done) because my card went back they change my address to some random address and my time got wasted.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Who the heck are you to hold my money hostage! It is not my fault you don't have 24 hour bank locations and that I am forced to use my debit card for a large purchase after banking hours. My spending limit should be my balance in my account. Because... it's my money!!! Shame on you Wells Fargo for ending our 20 year banking relationship over one transaction. I'll be closing all 6 of my accounts tomorrow.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My husband and I have had our checking account with Wells Fargo for almost 3 years. I wonder how much money they have stolen from our accounts. In this day and age of technology and online banking we rely on our online account being accurate. How is it that I had a total of $19 in my checking account last night, but it is -$47 this morning? NO CHARGES HAVE BEEN MADE SINCE I LAST CHECKED! But they make things appear and reappear so you think you have more in your account than you actually do. I keep a very close eye on my accounts, check multiple times a day because of fraudulent charges. I transfer money immediately if I need to, but it seems there is something more going on behind the scenes. This bank has just lost a customer.

Resolution response: Oct. 30, 2018

Wells Fargo contacted the credit agency to resolve the reporting error.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

After my credit score suddenly dropped fifty points from May to June 2018 I received a letter from Well Fargo informing me my Dillard Credit card account was closed due to a bankruptcy. I contacted Wells Fargo immediately and informed them I did not have a bankruptcy. When they reviewed their records it was discovered my social security number was entered in error for someone who did have a bankruptcy and reported to the credit bureau. According to their staff it could up to 60 days to correct this mistake... While speaking with Wells Fargo staff they were rude and indifferent.

Over the next two months I received three more letters each one informing me an additional sixty days were needed to correct the problem... The letters were a matter of fact and without apology. After six months Wells Fargo sent me a final letter informing me the credit bureau was finally contacted and it could take a few more months to update their records... OH, I can use this letter as proof if I need to apply for any credit.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We were visiting the Nashville location and we met Chris **, the Vice President/Manager. We had a wonderful experience and cannot express how great he treated us. We watched him have a personal relationship with every customer that walked in the door. He took a good 5-10 minutes getting to know us and helping us in every way possible. With Wells Fargo being such a large corporation THIS is the type of management you should have. Thank you Chris ** for setting the atmosphere of your workplace to be wonderful!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

So I wrote a check for $7000 dollars and Wells Fargo just pays out $10000 and when you call you get told you can’t have your money back for ten days while they investigate! Sounds like their screw up but you still have to wait!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I was a member of Wells Fargo for over 25 years by means of mergers. I have included a portion of their very own code of conduct below. I guess this did not apply when the teller, Latisha **., at the Kiln Creek branch in Yorktown, VA, accessed my account unauthorized and gave out my financial information to her family and who knows else.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

This bank makes you never want another bank account in your life. I have never ever been ripped off by more pathetic people in my life and this bank without knowledge remains open. Why? These people make your money disappear and try making a person believe that. They are at fault but we're not. Bank robberys inside job. Want to see all you've worked for disappear bank at Wells Fargo they will make it all. Wells Fargo. Trust them not.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had a $50,000 line of credit against a piece of real estate. In May 2011 I realized I had no access to the account. After talking to customer service I was told they were reviewing all lines of credit because of declining real estate values. One year later when I inquired I was told they had to pay my property taxes. I provided a check to prove I paid my own taxes. They still refused to reopen the line of credit. Now it's 2018 and I walked in the branch to address this issue again only to learn my business checking account was closed due to inactivity.

No matter what the problem is at Wells Fargo Banks, there is a huge disconnect between the people that provide the in person service and their management such as underwriters or decision makers outside of the branches. I purchased a home in 2015 with a written guarantee that my mortgage would not be sold to Wells Fargo Bank. I am deeply troubled that Wells Fargo cares about profits but has lost the concept that good customers provide their revenue. I no longer recommend anyone do business with Wells Fargo Bank. I banked at Wells Fargo Bank, Peach Orchard Rd, Augusta, GA.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Back in June, 2018 I found out about an IRA my deceased mother had at Wells Fargo. She passed away five years ago. When I called and got to the right department, a lady there told me there were three beneficiaries listed on the account, and confirmed that I was one of them. I asked if the other two were my two siblings, and she confirmed they were. She showed me where to get the forms to claim my part, and said we needed to create inherited IRA's to receive the content of the mother's account.

I sent the forms, and my living sibling also sent the necessary forms along with the death certificates of my mother and the third deceased sibling; and we both created our respective Inherited IRAs. After a month, nothing happened, so I called to get a status update. I was told that myself and my siblings were contingent beneficiaries and that an old living trust was the primary beneficiary. WHY WASN'T I TOLD THIS THE FIRST TIME? I said that the trust no longer existed, because it was a living trust and the grantor and grantee (my two parents) were both deceased, so the trust no longer existed. Both I and my sibling (who called separately) were told that an executor of the trust must make claim for the funds.

Well, my father passed away the previous May, 2018. I told all this to my father's estate attorney, who sent the probate court's letter testamentary, and his credentials to Wells Fargo. Again, nothing happened. It's now September, and I called to find out what's going on and am told that since this account was my mother's, estate paperwork pertaining to my father's estate was irrelevant. I was then told that all other paperwork was in place for my sibling and I to receive the funds into our respective Inherited IRA accounts when Wells Fargo received an opinion letter from a lawyer that the trust no longer existed. It was confirmed then that my sibling and I are the remaining contingent beneficiaries, and all other forms were in order.

The lawyer faxed, per Wells Fargo instructions, the opinion letter. Still, nothing happened. I called again two weeks ago to see what is going on. I was again told that they had everything they needed, but the account was “in Processing” and we should see the funds in our accounts the following Monday or Tuesday. Yesterday, Tuesday, I checked my account online, and the funds are still not there. So I called again. The rep on the phone couldn't immediately find all the forms. He said my claim form for my mother's account was filed with my Inherited IRA, and so was my sibling's, who had sent them in totally independent of me and did not have my account number.

Then the BIG SHOCKER! The rep told me that THERE WERE NO CONTINGENT BENEFICIARIES LISTED ON MY MOTHER'S ACCOUNT!!! So they misfiled our claim forms and then ALTERED MY MOTHER'S ACCOUNT DATA. Now they say we have to file some new form to identify contingent beneficiaries, because none are listed. They confirmed in at least three prior phone conversations to me that there are contingent beneficiaries!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Called the claim member and she was rude!!! What kinda customer care are you giving your customer?!! If you can’t be nice why are you working as a customer services!! I’ve been with Wells for 10 years. So sad to be treated like this!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

It's a giant game for profit. They'll claim that "pending transactions" don't always get posted to your current balance because of the last few dollars you might've tipped the waiter. What they actually do is hold a ton of transactions so your balance looks higher, then run them all at once with a little extra here & there. Oh did you spend $15 at the grocery store because your account said you had $27, just to check the next day and have it say -$19? That's the game. Rest assured you didn't have 8 tips go through to different waiters at the last minute. It was timed that way to create the overdraft.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

On 9/28/2018 I overheard my neighbor's discussing my financial information. Their daughter is a teller at the Wells Fargo's, Kiln Creek, branch in Yorktown, Virginia. I knew immediately that their daughter had accessed my account without my permission. I filed three complaints with Wells Fargo. The first with customer service, which was closed after two days. The second with my local branch in Grafton, VA, and the third with Wells Fargo home office. Finally my complaint was referred to Ethics and a investigation was completed. The end result was the employee being coached, and no other information could be provided due to the employee's privacy. What about my "Privacy", my financial information being given out. With all of the identity theft and fraud in today's world, what about the customer. The teller is still employed at the branch after her unethical behavior. I will be closing all my accounts with Wells Fargo.

Wells Fargo expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.

• Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.

• Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.

• Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.

• Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.

• Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.

• Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.

• Best for: Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg