1.28/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

2625 Wells Fargo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

I disputed 2 separate transactions for separate merchants and somehow they were combined and was promised to not be charged an overdraft fee. Well they denied both, even after I spoke with the merchant on 3 way to argue it wasn’t me. Then on top of that they still charged me and overdraft fee. I will definitely go back to Bank of America!!

Original review: March 21, 2019

I’ve been a Wells Fargo customer for 15 yrs. Recently I incurred An overdraft fee, I realize this does not seem like a big deal but to me it is. I am a 13 yr active duty vet who now works with at risk youth lol so yes every penny counts. The fee came when a merchant pulled a charge back but then redid the charge blah blah. Anyway Wells Fargo told me only after I said how three weeks ago I couldn’t pay for my dinner at a restaurant and was stuck due to Wells Fargo meltdown and no one could use their cards... So they told me they would give me 25% back of the $35 fee. Oh joy, what a joke.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2019

On February 27 2019 I applied for a Savings account through Wells Fargo online, and received a response that it had been approved and opened. The next morning on February 28 2019 I received a phone call stating that all of my accounts and online access has been frozen until I am able to prove that the Green Dot account the funds came from was my account. That Saturday on March 2 2019 I went into the local branch on Foster Rd and spoke with Orlando to understand what was going on and what I needed to do. He contacted the online bank fraud department who advised him that I needed to bring in a bank statement or blank check for the Green Dot account and they will be able to release the freeze.

So today March 14 2019 I went back into the local branch on Foster Rd with my drivers license, social security card, Capital One credit card, Wells Fargo bank card, Green Dot direct deposit form and Progressive Auto insurance to verify my identity and that the Green Dot account is mine. This is when the Assistant Manager calls the online banking fraud department who says that all of my documents are good however now my drivers license does not look like me and until I can get an acceptable ID they will not accept it nor will they unfreeze my accounts. The person who said the DL does not look like was over the phone so how does he know how look?

I completely understand the whole verification of the account process but now I feel discriminated against and harassed with the nitpicking and added more things for me to go out and get to verify my identity. The drivers license I presented is the same that I've had for the past 7 years and had no issues with purchasing 2 vehicles, getting credit cards, cashing checks, showing officers during traffic stops, etc until now. Wells Fargo Bank is the worse do not bank with them if you don’t want to be harassed by there fraud department.

Original review: March 19, 2019

They don't know their own business and they are rude and not helpful. There are so many departments that you have to keep being transferred to find someone who can answer your questions. It would seem that this company doesn't care about their customers. Find another bank and another credit card company if you can.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We have been with Wells Fargo since the end of January, so a little under 2 months. Nothing but problems since walking thru the door. We started to open online but had to go into the branch per requirements so that disqualified us from the joining bonus. Then they pick and choose what is going to process and when. I swear they pay their employees with overdraft fees. You can't transfer money to a landlord unless you want to make 6 payments of 500 each. It's not right. And now we are waiting on a wire transfer coming in and it was sent out on Friday. But they claim that today isn't 2 business days. (It's Tuesday) wtf day is it then!!! We are definitely pulling our money. I'd rather keep my money in a shoe box under my bed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: March 19, 2019

They are crooks and charge overdraft fees like crazy. They try to get every dime they can from you (even when it’s their fault). It’s no surprise they have the ratings they have! All the problems I have are problems lots of other people are having with them as well. They try to rip people off.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have been with Wells Fargo through 2 bank name changed. First Union then Wachovia AND now Wells Fargo. I have dealt with weird overdraft charges that re-arranged dates/transaction orders to charge me more, rude customer service etc... But nothing is worse than what happens when you travel. In 2016 my card was skimmed in Costa Rica after taking out $400 to pay for my room (thank God I had that $$).

When I found out, I called and told them I was out of country. They immediately shut down my account and said that they would send a new card...to my address in The U.S.! I'm like, "Ok what can you do to help me since ALL of my money is still in the bank." I wasn't able to use that money to Western Union myself, they refused to lift the block to allow me to make a withdrawal...nothing. My bank was no help. I wound up having friends Western Union me a loan. Even PayPal was willing to expedite a transfer from my bank, but Wells Fargo just stranded me.

I should have switched banks after that trip, but I stick with them because I had no immediate travel plans. Fast forward 2 yrs and I moved to Costa Rica and currently Guatemala. My card is declined (mostly online) at least 2 out of 5 transactions while I am trying to reserve flights, hotels and cars. This is despite my having a list of every country I even THINK of visiting listed in my travel plans in my account. I have to call so much, they are always on my recent call list. Usually it's resolved, within 10-15 minutes, but I fear being somewhere where I am unable to call and being stuck because my bank is not equipped to deal with travel issues. As soon as I get back to the States, I will definitely be changing banks. I should not have to walk around with wads of cash while on vacation, because I can't depend on my bank to "allow" me access to my own money. Ridiculous.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Hello, well last month I paid them almost 3 times the amount for the home projects account. Customer reps weren’t very helpful. I understand I was little late. That's my fault. However they claim that I didn’t pay last month's bill and they charge twice for this month. This is ridiculous, the late fee is $38.00. They're charging me a another $110.00 on top of my bill. Whoever is running Wells Fargo is a CROOK. What the hell Wells Fargo, I’ve have bad service, YOU undoubtedly take the cake. Get your ** straight Wells Fargo. Don’t do business, or bank with them.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I go to this bank every two weeks and I dread going. I think the tellers are stuck on stupid. Every time I tell them I want small bills 99 percent of the time they do the opposite. If they don"t know what small bills are they need not to be tellers!! I am going to take my money out this bank as soon as possible... To be fair they have a couple that knows what small bills mean but the rest you can forget!!! This is an awful bank I even hate the name LOL!!!

Original review: March 14, 2019

Long story short, I am transferring all of my money to another bank, contacting an attorney and suing the hell out of these people. Worst bank in history. I wonder how they're even still able to make financial transactions?

Original review: March 14, 2019

I would like to say thank you Wells Fargo, thank you for making a difficult time harder! As I head into a double mastectomy due to BREAST CANCER, and you refuse to assist us into reinstating our loan as we have 20,000 of 26,000! This is of course after having to have a loan modification due to your company error and then hardship a year after, you refuse to help!! Thank you the extra stress of knowing that the day after surgery our home will be auctioned off! We shouldn’t have had to do the 1st modification. Under emotional distress and being told we were going to be sued if we didn’t close on a loan that was 300! More than estimated and without notifying us of any changes until WE noticed the day of signing... This has been the worst experience! Never go to Wells Fargo for anything!

Original review: March 13, 2019

This is the worst bank ever! They shut off a measly little 300.00 credit card because I didn't use it for 6 months! Well excuse me for almost dying and having to use higher limit credit cards to pay off some medical stuff which was another one of your lame excuses for shutting me off. Well if my card balances are too high why must I use yours at the moment? To be financially screwed? Does that make you sleep well at night? You already have a bad reputation and now I see why! I will closing my cash wise card I have with your company now and you can screw over somebody else!

Original review: March 13, 2019

Wells Fargo Bank allowed someone to withdraw my parents' hard earned money in the amount of $21,000.00. This person was not on this account!!! She was NOT the beneficiary... I was. How does this happen? Did she know someone in the bank? Also for 10 yrs I have been in contact with every dept within WF and sent emails, documentation, etc and to no avail. I acquired an attorney at the beginning and I did all the work and they just wanted more money.

I would like Mr. Timothy Sloan the CEO of Wells Fargo whose net worth as of 2018 was 596 million please reach out to me and make this right!!! I will not stop until I get my parents money that they let some one NOT on the account withdraw it... I am not done and will write 20 reviews a day on every available site to reach out to people to not trust their money with this bank!!! They dragged me along for 10 yrs!!! Thank you.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I've been with this bank for 10 plus years and I regret every minute of it. I'm telling you this Bank does everything in their power to make their customers or consumers go through the worst banking experience possible. They hit you with fees on everything. Overdraft fee after overdraft fee. After being with them for 10 years they won't raise my credit limit above $300. It's so insulting and pathetic and makes me hate this bank with every cell in my body. I would take so much satisfaction in seeing this Bank go down hard. I look forward to the day that I can personally Sue this bank for all the grief distress and sorrow that they put me through.

Do yourself, your family and your country a favor and do not put a single Cent into this banking institution if you can even call it that. They are a disgrace to the American way of business, economics, and most importantly the American way of life. It would be in the country's best interests and every consumer and hard-working American's absolute best interest to terminate this bank or shut this Bank down immediately. Unless you are a huge corporation with millions or billions of dollars this bank is not looking out for you.

My credit score is over 700. I have two other credit cards with balances of near 2 Grand so I'm not some disgruntled irresponsible consumer. No, I'm a hard-working American with multiple open & diverse positive lines of credit. I've proven for years to multiple creditors that I am reliable and I pay my debts on time, including Wells Fargo, who I've made every payment on time for the past 5 years. Shame on you Wells Fargo. You are a disgrace and I hope you know.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had a checking account with Wells Fargo for >5years and found it the worst banking experience. There's a monthly fee ($14/mo as of March 2019) for not keeping a $7,000 minimum balance in an account, which is higher than any other bank. Most banks have a minimum balance, but the highest I've seen is $2,000 before charging fees. Even the fees with other banks are much lower, like $5/mo. Customers are charged for new cards when they lose old cards. Most banks don't do this. Customers are charged for new checks when then finished their old checkbooks. Most banks don't do this.

When calling customer service, there is a long wait and sometimes multiple transfers, where the customer has to repeat their information with each new person, or even from the voice-automated system to a person. Customers are not refunded anything for out-of-network ATM charges. Most banks offer some reimbursement per month, as much as $20/mo, or are free of charge altogether (which is rarer).

These practices are hostile to the customer, and completely characteristic of Wells Fargo when you read the news. There are so many other GREAT banks out there. Even ones that offer a cashback or small interest rate on your CHECKING account. Certainly, even the most average banks do not charge as many fees or demand such high deposits. I want to put my money to use. $7,000 in a checking account is too high. Most of that can go to a decent savings account or low-risk short-term equity. Wells Fargo is the WORST. I'm going to close my business account with them as well.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Wells Fargo charged me a $30.00 monthly fee on the day I closed my checking acct and moved the money to a savings acct without notifying me, they then added an additional $35.00 overdraft fee because the account was now closed and the monthly fee could not be charged. The agent I worked with did not notifying me of these charges when I closed the account via a phone call.

I was notified via email two months later re the overdraft charge. Tried to resolve the overdraft charge and the original $30.00 fee via phone as I am out of the country to no avail. They want me to go to a WF branch when I am again in country months from now to resolve the OD charge and pay the $30.00 monthly checking acct fee. I find WF Bank totally predatory in their business practices, and unable to perform basic services through their data processing systems and phone system. My advice is bank somewhere different and save yourself aggravation. Alex **

Original review: March 5, 2019

I've been charged several overdraft fees for transferring funds to my savings account. I spoke with one agent who said this was not normal and to call anytime I see this for a reimbursement. I called again and the women refused literally refused to reimburse me... I absolutely hate this bank.

Original review: March 5, 2019

For over 10 years I have brought the same check to Wells Fargo and had no problems accessing the funds. The check comes from a Wells Fargo bank as well. Today I found out that they refuse to allow me access to the funds for 2 business days. At the same time charging overdraft fees for the bills that are going through because the funds are not available. They claim that Saturday does not count as a business day. Why be open on Saturdays if they don’t count? And why do I have to wait for funds coming from a Wells Fargo account to be available in my Wells Fargo account? Not only could they not justify this practice but would not budge on refunding the overdraft fees. They were very rude, and inconsiderate and clearly don’t care about the customer. I do not recommend average people use this bank for everyday banking.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I discovered fraudulent activity on my account. Called Wells Fargo. Was transferred three times, on hold for long periods of time. Had to repeat my story four times. The fourth person I spoke with handled the dispute claim. The person did not speak clearly and was reading quickly. I had to interrupt several times to ask them to repeat themselves and slow down so I could understand what they were saying. It seemed they were wanting to end the call after indicating that the fraudulent charges would be reversed. I had to ask that they cancel my debit card. This is something they should offer to me. I shouldn't have to tell them how to do their job. I don't know if the person was new and didn't know what they were doing, or what. But my confidence in Wells Fargo is now severely shaken.

Original review: March 2, 2019

On 3/2/2019 I went to Wells Fargo to make a house payment. I was told that the Austen will not allow them to accept the payment. And to call customer service to make a payment. I contact Wells Fargo customer service and was told they could not accept a payment because the account was transferred to specialized loan servicing and to contact them. I informed them that I had not received any information from SLS and would like to make a payment and was informed that Wells Fargo would transfer the payment within 10 days. I was informed my customer service Wells Fargo that was incorrect. And they released the account on 2/28/2019.

I contacted SLS and via telephone. Was informed that my loan had not been released from the other company. I was informed by Wells Fargo that I should be receiving paperwork in the mail soon maybe within the next couple weeks. I am not pleased with the way the paperwork is being handled nor the communication associated with the account.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I got a credit card offer from Wells Fargo with invitation number and they rejected the card application when I applied for the card. I didn't reached out to them for the credit card. They just send such fraud offers I think.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have been attempting to comply with Wells Fargo's procedures on an estate matter for over a month. Each person I talk to has a different story, they lie about when they sent materials out, and no matter what is sent to them (per their own instructions) there is always another form. The latest is that I need two more forms and I should redo the forms they already have because if they don't all come in together, they "will get confused." They have wasted hours and hours of my time. On top of all that, when you DO finally get something from them in the mail, the letter is dated a full two weeks before the postmark. This all speaks to a completely incompetent department. BADLY RUN, STEER CLEAR.

Original review: March 1, 2019

On February 22, 2019 I closed an account at US. Bank (in Sherman Oaks, CA) and got a CASHIER'S CHECK. I took that CASHIER'S CHECK to my account at Wells Fargo Bank on February 22, 2019 not more than 30 minutes later. For those of you who don't realize what a Cashier's check is, a cashier's check is a check guaranteed by a bank, drawn on the bank's own funds, signed by a cashier. Cashier's checks ARE TREATED AS GUARANTEED FUNDS BECAUSE THE BANK, NOT THE PURCHASER, IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING THE AMOUNT.

Apparently no one at Wells Fargo Bank knows this -- or this is yet another "bad policy." Today is March 1, 2019 -- 6 days later -- and Wells Fargo is still showing a HOLD. We all know that banks now use ELECTRONIC TRANSFERS -- so why is it that they treat CASHIER'S CHECKS the same way they would treat a personal check? I'm irate.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I am a college student and have been with Wells Fargo for 2 years and consistently having to watch over my shoulder to make sure my money doesn't disappear one day. Through the reordering, delayed charges (only to refund and charge again), and grouping of a week's worth of transactions all in the same day, (and then blaming it all on you when you confront them) I have paid over $2,100 in overdraft fees. Am I the best at finances? NO! But if you are a college student, or live paycheck to paycheck, balancing a checkbook against this system is a full time job. Now I am red flagged with other banks because of how many times I've gone negative with Wells Fargo. Lesson Learned. Rant Over.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

This company is horrible. Things that need to be disclosed aren't. For example, when you incur a late fee, you have to call in to customer service and dictate to them how much you want to pay and how much should go to the late fee. Not to mention, you have to pay more. I've been paying my loan and if I am late, I include it in my payment. Now that I'm at the end of my loan, I have all these late fees that have added up over the years. Then when you ask to speak to a manager, you are put on hold and then somehow disconnected. Should I ever get a new car and they say, "Wells Fargo is your lender," I'm RUNNING out the door.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Applied for a Wells Fargo credit card. I was denied. My credit score listed on the rejection letter was 841. My income is 100k +. They say I have too many cards. All have zero balances because I pay balances every month. WTF! Idiots!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Traveled to Denver, Colorado with my family for a family holiday weekend. I carried a Wells Fargo credit card with a $20,000.00 credit limit and pay my balance off each month. Was at a restaurant in Denver and my Wells card was declined...no problem I had a Discover Card who facilitated the transaction. Went to a store and tried to purchase goods... Wells declined my card...no problem, I had a Capital One card. I called Wells Fargo credit card department to ascertain what the issue was and they advised me they rejected transactions since I was outside my normal usage area. I gave the information that I would be staying in Denver for a specific time period and was advised I could use my card. Dinner that night with friends, used the Wells Fargo credit card and was declined. No problem...I had a Capital One card.

I called Wells Fargo and asked why the card was declined. I was told I was using the card outside my normal usage... I live in Rapid City, SD. I asked them why the other credit card companies were not rejecting my credit transactions. No answer... They then started asking questions to verify who they were talking to and progressively got worse. That was after informing them that I had over a 2 million dollar in personal relationship with them and had been a customer for over 25 years. I asked them to close my account which they did. They then froze my PMA accounts so I could not make a transfer from my Wells Fargo checking account for security purposes...So again I am on the phone with trying to ascertain why they would not allow me to make a transfer between my Wells accounts. They release the freeze.

I then wrote a letter to the Wells Fargo board of directors advising them of my how long the account been opened, my deposit and PMA over $1.750M relationship and that I owned over $150,000 in Wells Fargo stock. Advised them that the way they handled this event did not bid well with their customer. They did respond in typical Wells Fargo narrative. They reviewed the series of events and told me that they had unfrozen my PMA once I called in and that my credit card was frozen to protect me from fraudulent charges. Thank goodness Capital One nor Discover card was not as protective. I have since opened a credit card account with Chase and moved business from Wells Fargo Investments to Vanguard. I would stay away from Wells Fargo.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Worst bank ever, came here to open a business account, they said they close at 6 pm, I came at 5 pm, wait for an hour, nobody came up to me and asked anything. Employee were talking to each other not work-related, people were waiting in line. They just didn't care at all. At 5:45 one of the banker came to me and finally asked me, I told him I want to open a business account, he said it won't be possible today, because it was late. Please Wells Fargo try to improve situation like this, my whole family have account with Wells Fargo. It will be sad to let you go and find another bank. I had banking with you for over 8 years.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have been with ever since they bought Wachovia and for years I have said I was changing banks. Today was finally the day. After numerous inconveniences this week was the final straw. They cut my debit card off while I was vacationing in the mountains with my family due to fraudulent suspected activity. Their response to me was, "We do this for your protection." Had to borrow money from my family just to get back home.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Husband deposited his paycheck in the ATM, at no time did he see that the funds would be unavailable, (the branch was still closed) selected the button to confirm amount and next he discovered was the money was unavailable. He came home and returned back to the bank to be told that due to in going into the ATM nothing they can do. He returned home and call the bank and they said the same thing. Also they said our account was overdrawn due to our car insurance coming through, which they charged a overdraft for, and still we have to wait till the Federal Reserve was open on Monday.

It gets better... I did say, "I don't give a ** about the Federal Reserve, we need to fix a truck, can you at least release some of it." "No we can't," told us to go write a check, for the parts he needs to fix his truck, we said, "We have automatic withdraws coming through and what about overdraft fee?" Of course they are no responsible for that, so they get our money till Monday. We go all weekend with nothing, and they get all the fees for overdraft because my husband deposited his paycheck in the ATM as he always does and there has never been a hold on OUR MONEY.

I filed a complaint with the bank and also asked the guy to stop talking to me in a condescending tone. Informed him, "When you finally give us our money if anything is left after all the overdraft are paid we will be closing our account," and asked him how he would feel if you needed to fix a truck get gas and food, and have bills coming through, of course I did not get much on an answer.

Wells Fargo expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.

• Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.

• Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.

• Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.

• Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.

• Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.

• Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.

• Best for: Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg