Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.97/5

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

BOTTOM LINE

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

PROS

• Free online banking and mobile app
  • Free money transfers
  • Large selection of financial products

CONS

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Top Wells Fargo Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Wells has always been responsive to questions and issues, both online and through my local bank. Their fraud department is first rate. When my credit card was compromised, they responded immediately with a new card and did not hold me liable for any of the charges.

… Most people only take the time to write bad reviews but I wanted to take the time to say he was very friendly and helpful and I will definitely be sending others into this branch ...

What is Wells Fargo Bank?

Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage services as well as commercial and consumer financing at 7,600 locations in 32 countries and territories around the globe. Wells Fargo mobile banking gives customers the ability to link their checking, savings, credit card and investment accounts all in one place. Customers can also deposit checks from their phones with the Wells Fargo app.

Wells Fargo financial services

Wells Fargo offers multiple products and services, including checking, savings accounts, credit cards and loans.

Wells Fargo checking accounts
    Wells Fargo has five different options for personal checking accounts — Everyday, Preferred, Portfolio, Teen and Opportunity. Businesses can select from Simple, Choice Platinum and Analyzed checking accounts. Most personal and business checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.
    Wells Fargo savings accounts and CDs
    Wells Fargo offers two savings account options, Way2Save and Platinum Savings. Wells Fargo also offers CDs, which require at least a $2,500 minimum opening deposit. CDs are available at fixed rates and step rates.
    Wells Fargo loans
    Wells Fargo offers multiple loan types, including student loans, auto loans and mortgage loans to help you buy, refinance or renovate a home. The bank offers low-APR personal loans and lines of credit ranging from $3,000 to $100,000. Wells Fargo also provides loans and lines of credit for businesses.
    Wells Fargo credit cards
    Wells Fargo has several credit card options. Almost all Wells Fargo cards have a cash back or reward program, and a few have no annual fee.
    Wells Fargo retirement services
    Wells Fargo offers traditional and Roth IRAs. You can also invest in mutual funds and manage your portfolio yourself or with the help of a Wells Fargo investment professional. The WellsTrade Mutual Fund Screened Listed makes investing simple by pre-screening mutual funds. Wells Fargo Advisors, a full-service brokerage, is available to customers to help with investment planning. You can also invest directly online and automate your investing through the Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor.
    Wells Fargo merchant services
    Wells Fargo makes running a business easy with payment processing that allows you to accept card payments onsite, online or wherever you might be. Mobile payments are available for Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Wells Fargo benefits for business owners also include Clover point-of-sale systems customized fit your business needs.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Wells Fargo inherited the banks I used. When Fidelity became Wachovia, I was business traveling often. I needed national access when traveling which is the reason why I open the account at Wachovia. When they became Wells Fargo, I kept the account due to national access. At this moment they do satisfy my needs. I did have a poor experience several years ago with their investment group. The person who help me had less knowledge than I had and pointed me into several funds that did not serve my purpose. For the most part I would recommend them. I rarely these days go into the bank. Either I use the online services or the ATM.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I recently had to make a wire transfer for the closing on a home I purchased. I had to physically go into the bank and realized most of the locations were closed and I had to make an appointment in advance at a location that was open. I went to the Wells Fargo location in Anthem and the young lady was wonderful. It required a lot of identification verification and then she called the title company to verify the exact wire info. It went through perfect and was received by the title company within a few minutes. It was a very positive experience at a very difficult time with Covid and the closing of many bank locations.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I've been with Wells Fargo since it came to Atlanta. I like the service that I receive and it fits my needs. I have a 365 Amex with Wells Fargo and it pays fairly well in rewards to use it. Though this card has a relationship bonus that I think he changed over the years and is not a much of a benefit as it was when I first opened the card. I like it that the card shows up on online with my bank accounts. But I am considering switching for a bank that will pay a bonus for opening an account. I hate switching everything, but for the payout it will be worth it and other than my credit card, then bank is not really giving me any other benefit. But I've been a customer with them now for probably about 15 yrs, so overall I'm satisfied.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I like this bank, but last week I needed a statement showing how much I had in my account and my information to prove that the account was mine. The problem was that the statement I could get on the app was not updated and to get one up to date I would have to go to the branch in person. I could not print it at the ATM either. I complained to the manager and he said I could only get at the branch for my own safety, since it had my information on it, or he could mail it to me, but not e-mail it...But the thing is that I could get older ones with all my information through the app, so where is the point of my safety. I just wanted something very simple and they could not help me.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have been with Wells Fargo since I was 15 years old I opened a checking/savings account and applied for a $700.00 loan that my mother cosigned for me. I was approved in 10 minutes. And paid the $700.00 loan off in 90 days. I am 72 years old now. I like that they are nationwide and you can always find a bank/branch or ATM in every state/city. Great for fast home loan approvals with competitive rates. I don't have a fee with my account. Free counter checks and cashier checks plus no charger for notary public signings. Great company.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

I have had a Wells Fargo account many years in the last few years. Noticed a huge change in the way they process my transactions. Most concerning is missing money then magically appears again! I gave had this happen several times that I had to call with no resolve or explanation of why I had 100 yesterday then it disappeared and 2 days later it's back in my account. Really weird. I’m closing my account. In my opinion I don't trust Wells Fargo anymore! It takes over a week for normal purchases to be processed. These purchases stay as pending for over 7 days. Seems Wells fargo can not keep up with processing and makes many mistakes with my money scary! Also my work direct deposit always was in my account around 2:30AM now it doesn't show up till 7:30 AM. I’m in the process of closing my account. Very wary of Wells fargo’s practices!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I reached out to Wells Fargo asking for assistance in regards to my monthly amount that is due. I spoke to an assistant Randy and he was no help and said there was nothing he can do to help me. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. He connected me to Alexi. She was also no help and said there was nothing Wells Fargo can do or offer me. I asked about a lower monthly payment, payment plan etc. Her reply was again there was nothing she can do or offer me. There is a lot of people that are struggling due to what's currently happening in this country. A big company likes Wells Fargo seems to only care about their bottom line and not their customers. I don't recommend using Wells Fargo. The only reason I give a one star is because there was no zero star available. I am very disappointed in Wells Fargo and how they handled my situation.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

When I send money to my friends in Zambia to their ministry I use Wells Fargo Bank. The ministry feeds widows and orphans. It is always expedient to get the donated money to them as quickly as possible. When I send the money by wire transfer I go into WFB. I am always met by the friendliest most amazing customer service reps, and the paper work is very easy to fill out to send the moneys.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

All I need is an insurance check endorsed to pay my roofer after a hail damage claim. I drove 90 miles round trip to a Wells Fargo only to be told I needed to make an appt. What? It takes five minutes to endorse? Then I called the customer service and they were going to overnight me a Fedex "mailer". That's been five days ago. I've almost paid my mortgage off and will be looking for a vacation home. One thing I know for sure is I will never finance through this company again.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

They have blocked my debit card twice this month when trying to Make a purchase. They said it was fraud. I called bank and let them know it is my cell phone company and they unblocked card. Then tried to re-make purchase and they blocked again.

Wells Fargo fees

Wells Fargo’s monthly service fees for checking accounts range from $0 to $30, though service fees are waived for teenagers and college students between 17 to 24 years old. Monthly service fees for business checking accounts range from $10 to $40. The bank charges a $5 or $12 monthly fee on savings accounts. Wells Fargo's checking account fees can be avoided by maintaining a specific average balance or completing a minimum number of transactions each month. Also, expect fees for late credit card payments and overdraft charges unless your checking and savings accounts are linked.

Wells Fargo check cashing fee
      You only have to pay a Wells Fargo Bank fee to cash a check if you don’t have an account. The cost for nonmembers to cash a check at a Wells Fargo bank is $7.50.
      Wells Fargo transfer fee
      It costs $0 to transfer money between Wells Fargo accounts or for bank-to-bank transfer service.
      Wells Fargo overdraft fee
      Wells Fargo charges a $35 overdraft fee per item.
      Wells Fargo ATM fee
      ATM fees are $0 for Wells Fargo customers when they use a Wells Fargo ATM. Cash withdrawals at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are $2.50 each, and account balance inquiries are $2 each.
      Wells Fargo foreign transaction fee
      Wells Fargo’s foreign transaction fees reach up to 3% on some accounts. Outside of the U.S., ATM cash withdrawals are $5 each and ATM accounts transfers are $2 per transfer.
      Wells Fargo cash advance fee
      Wells Fargo’s cash advance fees are up to $12.50 per transaction. Credit advances vary based on the account.

Wells Fargo Bank FAQ

Does Wells Fargo have 24/7 customer service?
      Yes, Wells Fargo has 24/7 customer service available by phone and online.
      Is Wells Fargo a commercial bank?
      Yes, Wells Fargo provides commercial banking services and products for individuals and businesses.
      What states have Wells Fargo banks?
      Wells Fargo has locations throughout the U.S. in all states except Hawaii, Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massasschetts, Rhode Island and Maine.
      What are Wells Fargo’s dealer services?
      Wells Fargo’s dealer services provide indirect auto financing, commercial products and banking services to auto dealers.
      How old do you have to be to open a bank account at Wells Fargo?
      You can open a Wells Fargo account with a parent or guardian at 13 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to open an account on your own.

Is Wells Fargo a good bank?

Wells Fargo offers many options to handle your financial needs, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investments and loans. Compared to other banks, interest rates and fees are average. Overall, Wells Fargo’s products and services are robust and allow you the convenience to bank however and wherever you like.

Wells Fargo Company Information