1.82/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 10, 2017

2174 Wells Fargo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Have been with this bank 4 years and never have a benefit. This bank charged $105 only cause I️ was two days with insufficient funds. They are so thief. Stay away from Wells Fargo bank!!! I am closing my business and personal account today.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I have been with Wells Fargo for over 10 years and last month my account got hacked and someone deposited Fraudulent checks into 3 of my accounts. As soon as I figured out what happened I immediately contacted the bank and disputed it. Now yesterday I got a call from the scam department telling me that I was at fault and I am the reason my account got hacked and they are closing my account because somehow I am the reason why my account was hacked. I have never had an issue with Wells Fargo until now when my account got hacked. And now they are closing it because somehow it is my fault. Then another reason is as well that I had transferred money between two of my accounts and they charged my a penalty BECAUSE I transferred between my account. How stupid is that? Like yes I get charged transferring my own money between my accounts.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I had a fraud charge on my credit card, reported it same day it appeared on my account. It was investigated and removed from account, was told they would issue me a new card within 7 to 10 days. Never received card, called and was told they closed the account and I would have to open a new account, so after hours of trying to make them understand I didn't want another account, just wanted to keep the one I have with a new card, they issued a new account with a smaller credit limit, and now I am paying two accounts and two interest charges, this is ridiculous. Have no choice but to pay both since I don't want to destroy my credit.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Wells Fargo has messed me up several times over the past 8 months... everything from freezing my account to currently not honoring my retirement deposit because they said it was a fraudulent deposit. I'm now locked out of my account until they get their act together. Once this is done, I'm withdrawing my money and moving to a different bank. I've been with Wells Fargo over 10 years and never had the problems that I have had in the past 8 months.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I am small business owner and as a bagel shop we go through a lot of coins. Wells Fargo just started charging us to get change from them. As a small business owner that is outrageous having to pay to get coins from them. Will close account soon.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Have several accounts with Wells Fargo and have for years, including my business account. This past May, I sent in a check for FULL PAYMENT a week before the due date. Two weeks later, I got slapped with a $40 late charge and was sent a letter along with my check that was sliced in half. The check had been damaged---by Wells Fargo---when they opened the envelope but that didn't stop them from charging me the outrageous late charge. I called and complained and it took nearly an hour, talking to various "supervisors" for them to admit it was, in fact, a "bank error" and that they'd refund the $40.

Today, I got a snotty and insulting letter from "Mark **," a VP with the bank, informing me that because of my "delinquent account," I was being charged an interest rate of Prime + 25%. Since I always pay on time and early, I called to find out what was going on. I was told it was because of the "late payment in June." I told them it was their error and they'd reversed the charge, but they never had cleared by account history. CROOKS! Fraud. Run far far away from this wretched bank.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I am the administrator of mother, trying to collect stock that is being held by them. The company is coming up with different reasons why the stock can’t be transferred. Unanswered questions, dates don't match. Each time they use up the entire wait time. There seems to be nothing I can do but play they're stalling game.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK!!! I repeat, STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK!! They are crooks! I had a couple hundred dollars in my account for days, I deposited $400 more to make a bill payment. I received a confirmation that the bill was paid, two days later I check my account balance and Wells Fargo stop the payment on the same day placed a levy on my account and only took $450 in order to charge me $125 lawyer fee and $35 dollar overdraft fee but here’s the kicker! My account was still active after even with $50 in because they didn’t want me to know the account was overdrafted or had a levy on it so I can keep depositing money into it!!!

They then charged me a $10 bank fee and never sent me a courtesy email or letter or phone call to warn me or tell me what was going on. I now missed a payment, was charged a late fee twice and when I called and asked Wells Fargo why would they do such a thing. They stated they shouldn’t have done it but there is nothing they can do now. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK, I HAD TO PUT A STAR ON HERE BUT THEY DON'T EVEN DESERVE THAT ONE STAR!! Stay away!!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I purposely didn't spend money for 3 days and woke up this morning with a lesser balance than I went to sleep with... The CS banker tried to convince me that it was Uber and a subscription I had for $7.99, but that can't be because the pending transactions are already deducted from the balance! They've been doing this for some time and I finally caught it... They've taken my money for the last time!!!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Few days back, I initiated money transfer from BOA to WF from WF account with 3 business days method. When I noted, I still don't have funds after 3 business days (with money deducted from BOA already) in my WF account, gave call to customer care. Customer care is simply clueless and kept pushing me that I did transfer and I am responsible for it. & kept pushing me to check with other bank when they should be taking ownership of this transaction. They simply don't take into account that they provided online platform to money transfer. Worst experience from Wells Fargo customer care.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Was charged $2 for a few transactions in which I had forgotten my password, so even without verification of identity the bank charged for services outside the network. Emailed complaint and I don't think the service support individual read through the whole message before responding, the bottom line is Wells Fargo will charge fees on top of the fees out of network ATMs charge. Credit Unions are looking very good!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

My husband had an account with Wells Fargo, for his work's direct deposit system. When he created the account, we agreed to use the option where it will not allow you to over-charge the card. We subscribed to an app that did automatic monthly payments. We cancelled it when he lost that job. They charged us for the last month, and then we were negative. The following is how it went, without my husband or I using the card once: 9/30/17-- neg. $51.39. 10/03/17-- neg. $71.38. 10/04/17-- neg. $106.38 (ending balance). neg. $126.37 (available balance). 10/05/17-- neg. $106.38. 10/06/17-- neg. $126.37. (Today) 10/18/17 @ 7:56 AM--WELLS FARGO closed the account while the balance was at $161.37. By closing the account, they rendered us unable to get into our online account to see why the money kept disappearing. Needless to say, Wells Fargo will not be who we work with.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Last night my Wells Fargo checking account showed 3 credits from refunds of purchases I returned... this morning I looked at it again and all three of them were completely GONE! I called the bank and they blamed it in the visa company but I am at this point not feeling the love. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing even being possible? The banker said the amounts will show up again at some later date and again blamed visa. I think she was lying. I told her about the Bank of America class action lawsuit where the bank got caught holding people's money back hoping the would bounce checks... it looks like Wells Fargo may be doing this?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Carrier offered 0% financing through Wells Fargo so my financial adviser said to go for it rather than use money in my IRA. I have excellent credit, never have made a late payment, and have never been denied credit. My online application was turned down by Wells Fargo without explanation, in fact they didn't even notify me, they notified the heating contractor who then phoned me. When I called their customer service they were not willing to help me because my phone number didn't match their records, even though every other piece of information I gave them did match. I was told I would get a letter in 30 days explaining why I was denied, not exactly timely information. When I asked to talk to a manager I started getting hems and haws and excuses. I will never deal with them again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Wow. First time I actually had to call this bank. Will be sure to never do that again. Wound up in Spain, I think, at one of the "call centers", (See: "torture chambers"), was given incorrect info RE a bank to bank transfer. Got with my other bank and sorted it out, then decided WF should be informed about their overseas call centers lack of competence. Got a couple of 19 YO girls who gave me a hard time, and just figure I'll let them sink their own ship from now on, and do as little business as possible with this bank. I have several accounts with WF, but am concerned about their stability now.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Worst banking experience I have ever had in my life. I had an account with Wells Fargo for Bob's furniture. I called them to close my account and get a pay off estimate amount. The pay off amount more than the entire balance for almost $600 and they couldn't give me answer from where that extra/not making sense amount came from. They just charge me that $600 and they can't explain why. The representative lady told my wife she DO NOT KNOW WHERE THAT EXTRA CAME FROM. I called again to find out. The other representative gave me an attitude, she doesn't speak English and it was hard to understand the situation. I asked to talk to someone else she refused. The original amount was $4599. I end up paying around $7000 and no one could explain why. I recommend everyone to just avoid doing business with this bank.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Their online site has been down for at least 3 weeks, now, with no answers or help in sight. I'm unable to get a sizable refund due me from a retailer because they are having problems issuing the refund to my Wells Fargo card! This is just maddening!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I've been having problems with Wells Fargo for a while now. Wells Fargo is getting slick on how they charge you fees. Now because I answered an email, on how was Fargo customer service was doing. I gave them a bad review a couple weeks ago, now they took my check that I put in the ATM and put a hold on the full amount. Any manager for customer service had a bad attitude and was trying to treat me like a little kid. When Wells Fargo got sued a lot of customers started getting charged $35 fee on $0.50 because they needed to pay back people. Wells Fargo is the worst bank now that's out there. The customer service on the telephone, and inside the branch, think that nobody knows anything except them. Then when you show him proof, they're wrong and you're right they treat you like **. And think they only have education and they bring it up to you. That is why I don't need money in Wells Fargo and I'm going to another bank.

At First Wells Fargo was great, but like all greedy institutions and Liars and they want to just be rich. They steal your money, and that you got to take him to court or fight for your money. That's why a lot of people are closing the account with Wells Fargo. I will give him a zero because that's what they deserve in customer service now and the way they treat their customers. I hope they will go out of business one day.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I opened a charged at a national chain store. I wasn't aware at the time it was through Wells Fargo. Had I known that I NEVER would have opened the charge. I never received a charge card. Never received a bill. I had given my current address, for reasons unknown Wells picked up an address I have been in for over 10 years. I finally receive a call from Wells, about 3 months ago. Still have NOT received an itemized statement. They assured me it wouldn't be reported to the credit bureaus. That was a lie. Initially spoke with one woman who was going to mail my itemized statement and the removal of delinquent fees, still haven't received anything. Did a follow up call and spoke to a person who took her place. He said it would take two to three weeks to received the bill! He also stated the mail came back??? I have received one piece of mail from Wells. I just don't get it. How can Wells Fargo still be in business???

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I'm a new customer of two weeks, I needed to get $1100 out of the ATM and was told I exceeded my daily limit??? I called and asked for my limit to be raised and was told my limit would stay at $310 for the first 12 months, WHAT THE!!! So I said, "Fine I'll just wire the funds," I quickly was told until I've passed my 6 month new customer period I would not be allowed to wire money. WHAT THE HECK... This bank makes it impossible for truck drivers like me to conduct business in a small window of time over the road, I feel like I'm being treated like I'm 12 years old.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

Worst bank experiences I've ever had. Constant monthly fees. Once they did an automatic transfer that paid my credit card with them off in full which at the time I did not have enough money to do and so without seeing it, I used my debit card on simple things $5 or less and got charged a $35 overdraft on about 6 transactions. I called them and they tried to give me 25%. After about an hour on the phone, I regretfully settled with them giving me 75% back. Overall I just have had issues with this bank for all 4 years.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I paid off two seniors' loans. Wells Fargo kept the payoff for itself. One senior has to keep paying the other senior Wells Fargo took everything from. I reported this injustice to every bank regulator who did nothing so I took Wells Fargo to court myself. The Wells Fargo lawyer moved the case to another court that I can't easily get to then lied about Wells Fargo not receiving the loan payoffs then filed to have the case dismissed.

I have filed proof the loan payoffs were received and copies of the certified mailing receipts. Wells Fargo will lie on you in every possible way. If you have a bank account or loan with Wells Fargo move it elsewhere ASAP. Wells Faro will do its best to take everything it can in every way possible. I'm posting what Wells Fargo did all over the internet because this has got to stop. Wells Fargo is willing to take every penny and a home from a senior making the senior homeless. Let that sink in.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I am writing this letter to share my experience so that others will probably learn and make sure to not use this company for any kind of home loan. I am a physician and well qualified for a loan. I contacted Wells Fargo myself in March to initiate the process of getting home loan. It is literally now September 26 and I am writing this letter as well as a letter to the Better Business Bureau and Fair Credit Lending Company about my experience and will be blogging about it in bigger pockets and my personal blog. After multiple delays on their part (for which they charged me 2x for extending closing date) even though all papers were always turned in on time, the company is now requesting I pay for another extension because there was delay on seller's end. Also every time there has been an extension they have attempted to raise my interest.

I have tried contacting their executive office and that has not helped in any way and they appear to have had issue with one of the people who was actually really trying to help me with the loan and that person is no longer working with them because he himself stated they were "just terrible and unprofessional." My advice would be to not attempt to get any loans with this bank and try instead a local small branch bank which will actually care about your business and will treat you with respect and work in a professional and timely manner. Hope this helps.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Wells Fargo is ridiculous. I have a checking account and my account became negative. As I noticed, I deposited money to cover the exact amount. Tell me why, I got an overdraft fee even though I deposited money that same day, which put me even further negative. It makes no sense. I called to get it reversed and explained what happened and the customer service agent said they couldn't do it. I said, "This is a mistake you guys made." All I got was, "I apologize, thank you for choosing Wells Fargo." So they get to keep my money?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I called Wells Fargo to report fraud due to a deposit into my account in the amount of $6,500 to my WF Online Banking prior to any other fraudulent activities. Suspected a big fraudulent withdrawal and told this to WF. WF Credit Card department finds and declares fraud. Sends new credit card to the fraud address in California, I live in New Jersey. New credit card used in California fraudulently.

WF Online Banking department closes claim with no fraud found. Fraudulent withdrawal of all fraud deposited and my personal funds leaving me with a negative balance. WF Online Bank charges overdraft fees due. WF Credit Card used to pay my mortgage since no funds available in my bank account. I paid WF online banking all overdraft fees charged even though I report the fraud. I am also paying interest on WF credit card for my mortgage payment of about $100 per month until balance is paid in full.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I am very disappointed, very upset with my Wells Fargo Bank. I have an account since 2000. This bank can't do nothing to stop the scam that was my money and I did call and stop the payment right away. The customer service are not well train. They don't know what to answer. I lost my $150 and that's not fair. I am very, very upset. Also they need some nice people in claim department. People are so rude and mean in that department. They don't want to help you at all. In that case I have to look for a good bank who can help me if something like this happened in the future. I hate to do it but I have to secure my money and need positive and trained people.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Drive Thru Teller -- 22nd Ave N/34th St N Branch -- St Pete, FL - Today, I went to the Drive Thru Teller, commercial entrance at the specified branch. There was one customer ahead of me and no other customers, yet I waited for 15 minutes --- the girl in front of me had time to fix her hair and put on make-up. Finally, it was my turn. I wanted to make a $30 withdrawal: 2 rolls of quarters and 10 one dollar bills. This is the second time I have gone to this drive-thru to be told --- "Sorry, we have no quarters, you will have to go inside." I then went inside and there were three teller windows open --- I waited in line for another 10 minutes. Was told they will make sure this doesn't happen again. I'm sure it will happen again because they are totally incompetent!! Make sure you can serve your customers efficiently!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I took out student loans through Wells Fargo and they have since become impossible to deal with. I originally took out these loans because I was desperate to finish school and had an active savings/checking account with them so thought why not. Oh to be young. I have since cancelled my bank accounts due to incompetence on their end and am only giving them money for the student loan.

I called the other day because I am recently experiencing a hardship and wanted to see if there was anything they could do to help like postpone payments or defer them altogether. After being on hold for hours, being transferred several times, then talking with a foreign supervisor who tried hard but did not understand the situation, the best they could do for me was have me make three full consecutive payments and then I will be eligible for postponing one payment three months from now. I don't think she understood that I do not have money at this time. When I explained this to her the supervisor actually laughed.

In NO way has this bank EVER helped me with finances or improving credit or the ONE time when I was so broke and asked to make a late payment. I'm terrified to think of what would happen to my credit as well as my cosigner’s credit if these payments are not made because they're such a crummy bank and the idea of giving them ANY money makes my teeth grind. This establishment has singlehandedly put my family in a financial bind. I would never do business with them again and I encourage EVERYONE to hang on to your own money or give it to a credit union that at the very least will try to work with you, don't give it to Wells Fargo. You really are just a number with them and they will take everything they can from you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I have been a Wells Fargo Small Business Advantage customer for many years with a 100K credit line which has always been managed responsibly and paid on time. I have ALWAYS made my payments online, directly through the Wells Fargo website. Around the first of the year, Wells Fargo made extensive changes to their website. Apparently, something is not working correctly, because since that time, EVERY payment I have made online has not processed through my bank where my payment accounts are located. My bank has told me that the Wells Fargo website has never even initiated the payment. I always print the confirmation code from the website, and I have made every payment well in advance of the due date, and well in excess of the minimum amount due, because I am trying to get the account paid off quickly.

Every month someone calls me to tell me that my account is past due, even though I made every payment in good faith, and have told them that the problem is on their end, with their website. I have provided them with the payment confirmation codes from their own website. Their collections people keep telling me that they are looking into it, but they never resolve it and are now telling me that it is MY problem. I have spent countless hours on the phone with them, without EVER being able to resolve the problem. Instead they just keep hounding me for payments, which I show have been made. There seems to be absolutely NO coordination between their online/website people and their small business banking people, and everyone just keeps passing the buck and telling me that they'll "look into it." I'm extremely frustrated, and will NEVER do business with this bank again, in any capacity. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I've been with Wells Fargo for over 6 years and have had multiple fraud charges occur within the past couple of years. Most recently, a charge came through my account for a service that I had canceled within 12 hours of initiating the request (for ADT security services). No service was rendered and I received no benefit from the company. When I called (ADT) to cancel, I was told that my e-check would be canceled and no payment would be taken from my account. Two days later however, $108.16 was taken from my account. When I called Wells Fargo to file a claim I was told they were issuing a stop payment order and the amount would be credited within 10 days.

I called back to WF 2 days later and was told they would request expedited service so the funds would be credited back in 1-2 days. I called again today (2 days after my second call) to check on the status and after waiting on hold 45 minutes, the call was DISCONNECTED. I did not receive a call back from WF so I called again, waited on hold another 30 minutes, and then finally was told that the claim had been denied because I needed to deal directly with the merchant within 3 days BEFORE the transaction came out of my account.

Keep in mind, I CALLED TO CANCEL with the merchant less than 12 hours after I initially called them, was told by their representative there would be no charges to my account and yet they still deducted the amount 2 DAYS LATER. Now Wells Fargo cannot protect my money from being fraudulently withdrawn... because I was supposed to cancel 3 days before they charged me... I canceled within 12 HOURS! WF also did not inform me until after I'd spent 1.5 hours on the phone (FOR THE THIRD TIME) that they will not protect my funds and that the claim was canceled on their end. Overall the service at Wells Fargo has dropped astronomically over the last 6 years and too many fraud charges have occurred. They no longer are able to protect my account or finances so I'll be closing my account and finding a more responsible institution to bank with.

Wells Fargo expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.

• Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.

• Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.

• Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.

• Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.

• Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.

• Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.

• Best for: Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg