3.8/5 (1358 ratings)

About Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Pros

• Free online banking and mobile app
  • Free money transfers
  • Large selection of financial products

Cons

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

Top Wells Fargo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Wells has always been responsive to questions and issues, both online and through my local bank. Their fraud department is first rate. When my credit card was compromised, they re...

Verified

These guys are the best banking institution we have ever worked with. They protect your account fiercely and provide you the tools to manage your money wisely. Additionally they h...

What is Wells Fargo Bank?

Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage services as well as commercial and consumer financing at 7,600 locations in 32 countries and territories around the globe. Wells Fargo mobile banking gives customers the ability to link their checking, savings, credit card and investment accounts all in one place. Customers can also deposit checks from their phones with the Wells Fargo app.

Wells Fargo financial services

Wells Fargo offers multiple products and services, including checking, savings accounts, credit cards and loans.

Wells Fargo checking accounts
Wells Fargo has five different options for personal checking accounts — Everyday, Preferred, Portfolio, Teen and Opportunity. Businesses can select from Simple, Choice Platinum and Analyzed checking accounts. Most personal and business checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.
Wells Fargo savings accounts and CDs
Wells Fargo offers two savings account options, Way2Save and Platinum Savings. Wells Fargo also offers CDs, which require at least a $2,500 minimum opening deposit. CDs are available at fixed rates and step rates.
Wells Fargo loans
Wells Fargo offers multiple loan types, including student loans, auto loans and mortgage loans to help you buy, refinance or renovate a home. The bank offers low-APR personal loans and lines of credit ranging from $3,000 to $100,000. Wells Fargo also provides loans and lines of credit for businesses.
Wells Fargo credit cards
Wells Fargo has several credit card options. Almost all Wells Fargo cards have a cash back or reward program, and a few have no annual fee.
Wells Fargo retirement services
Wells Fargo offers traditional and Roth IRAs. You can also invest in mutual funds and manage your portfolio yourself or with the help of a Wells Fargo investment professional. The WellsTrade Mutual Fund Screened Listed makes investing simple by pre-screening mutual funds. Wells Fargo Advisors, a full-service brokerage, is available to customers to help with investment planning. You can also invest directly online and automate your investing through the Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor.
Wells Fargo merchant services
Wells Fargo makes running a business easy with payment processing that allows you to accept card payments onsite, online or wherever you might be. Mobile payments are available for Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Wells Fargo benefits for business owners also include Clover point-of-sale systems customized fit your business needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I have been a customer of Wells Fargo for many years and when I wanted to change my password, they sent me a code by way of my landline. I did this without no problem back on 6/26/22. Know I want to change my password again and they will not let me do it until I buy a cellphone. I am 80 years old and all my friends have passed away. Why should I have to go out and buy a cellphone to change my password, so I can do check on my accounts online? Whoever is responsible for this screwup should be fired. I know that I am not the only one in the US that does not own a cellphone.

Original review: July 15, 2022

I had a terrible experience trying to retrieve money from my savings account, there was a thunderstorm which caused the electricity to go out as I was waiting for my cash to be dispensed, I received nothing, it's been a week and I still have no money to pay my rent. This is unacceptable, as banks are insured for incidents like this, I should have been able to get my money the next business day! What are the Cameras for??? As soon as they get that money back to me I will no longer bank with Wells Fargo ever again!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2022

There have been some issues in the past between clarification or the Big Cross vs Wells Fargo I settle out for. Took too long to give me back my accounts. This began with the opening of 3 million additional accounts. The CEO of Wells Fargo made a statement on Capital Hill saying seven new accounts for each new customer is better. This was stated on senate floor plus the Wells Fargo remediation right after it really did not fixed it. Federal Trade Commission.

Original review: July 13, 2022

The Atm took my money and jammed 8 days ago, the teller and the atm said my funds would be available in 48 hours, still nothing. Had to file a claim and I still don’t have my money. Ridiculous. They are not helping.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Wells Fargo, first of all, has terrible recipient payment limits in place for their online payments and transfers via 3rd party vendor Zelle. I work for a company which primarily offers services via web application(s). I'm so used to our amazing customer service, and I expect the same from my bank. When I called to ask for the daily recipient payment to updated, which should only entail a 2 second database flag change, or have your Zelle integration team work with your vendor to make the change. Just flat out refusing to make an adjustment for TIME CRITICAL payments, is unacceptable. Instead I have no other option but to make 3 separate daily payments, each 24 hours apart, which puts me over a deadline. Having a policy which is so limiting to begin with is bad enough! But to be completely unwilling to assist a customer tells me, "You're not important to us, and neither is your business. We don't care if you go elsewhere for your business."

Original review: June 25, 2022

Wells Fargo is not a secure bank, my account has been hacked several times, I am on my third debit card. Most recently, today $1200 was taken out of my account which was unauthorized, I was told that I will get the Money back in approximately 10 days, lol! That’s a lot of money for most people, what if somebody had to pay rent, car payment or buy groceries. I am changing banks.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I was wrongfully charged on my Wells Fargo Credit Card. I received no communication from Wells Fargo before my account was filed as 30-60 days late. The first communication I received was a phone call after my account had gone delinquent, & there was no mention that I was that late. Once I disputed this, there was a complete lack of consistency into when, how & if I had been contacted about my late account. I had not received any communication, but they had posted statements on my online portal (every other credit card I know of, reaches out in an attempt to get payment if a customer has fallen behind).

When escalated to the Executive Office, it was requested that I get a letter from PayPal to corroborate the mischarging of my credit card. I did so upon their request but my case was closed out without any acknowledgement of my action. I was told that it is "illegal" to retract a credit reporting by multiple individuals within Wells Fargo. This is not illegal per the FCRA, which is inconsistent with what I was assured by these individuals. This organization appears to have Top-Down issues that is consistent with the issues that stem from previous executives to the new ones.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I have been a client for 24 years. We opened an account 12 months ago for my daughter and a year later they told us via mail we needed to come in and update her Social Security Number. We did this on 4/26. I received a second letter in May and called on 5/23 to ask why a second letter. They called me back on 5/24 and told me all was resolved and no more issues. Then on 6/7 they with out warning closed my daughters accounts while my daughter was on vacation. I called customer service and they told me after moving it to the highest person possible they would respond with in 10 days. I contact the local branch and they told me I had done all that was needed. They called me back same day and said bring in a Social Security Card.

The card is lost and we have ordered a new one. I asked if they would accept a w9 form. They said no only a Social Security Card. So now my daughter is stuck on vacation and Wells Fargo has frozen her accounts and will not fix the internal problems they have to unfreeze her account. I wish on 4/26 they would have asked for the card. I wish on 5/24 they would have told me they need more. I really wish my daughter would have access to her money she earned and needs while on vacation. This company is heartless and very unorganized. Do not use them.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Policy changes suck. If I'm buying a $5 money order I should be able to get it in the drive thru if I choose. They didn't seem to have a problem with it while they were terrified of Covid. Looks like I'll be going to Walmart for the same crappy service and paying much less from now on.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Where do I start. If you employ Rasheedah ** as a branch manager, I question your judgement. She is very unprofessional and rude. I don’t know if she thought because I was younger than her that she could talk to me crazy, I was not having it. She refused my business and proceed to call the police on me which was uncalled for. She is disrespectful. Do yourself a favor and don’t go to Wells Fargo.

Wells Fargo fees

Wells Fargo’s monthly service fees for checking accounts range from $0 to $30, though service fees are waived for teenagers and college students between 17 to 24 years old. Monthly service fees for business checking accounts range from $10 to $40. The bank charges a $5 or $12 monthly fee on savings accounts. Wells Fargo's checking account fees can be avoided by maintaining a specific average balance or completing a minimum number of transactions each month. Also, expect fees for late credit card payments and overdraft charges unless your checking and savings accounts are linked.

Wells Fargo check cashing fee
    You only have to pay a Wells Fargo Bank fee to cash a check if you don’t have an account. The cost for nonmembers to cash a check at a Wells Fargo bank is $7.50.
    Wells Fargo transfer fee
    It costs $0 to transfer money between Wells Fargo accounts or for bank-to-bank transfer service.
    Wells Fargo overdraft fee
    Wells Fargo charges a $35 overdraft fee per item.
    Wells Fargo ATM fee
    ATM fees are $0 for Wells Fargo customers when they use a Wells Fargo ATM. Cash withdrawals at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are $2.50 each, and account balance inquiries are $2 each.
    Wells Fargo foreign transaction fee
    Wells Fargo’s foreign transaction fees reach up to 3% on some accounts. Outside of the U.S., ATM cash withdrawals are $5 each and ATM accounts transfers are $2 per transfer.
    Wells Fargo cash advance fee
    Wells Fargo’s cash advance fees are up to $12.50 per transaction. Credit advances vary based on the account.

Wells Fargo Bank FAQ

Does Wells Fargo have 24/7 customer service?
    Yes, Wells Fargo has 24/7 customer service available by phone and online.
    Is Wells Fargo a commercial bank?
    Yes, Wells Fargo provides commercial banking services and products for individuals and businesses.
    What states have Wells Fargo banks?
    Wells Fargo has locations throughout the U.S. in all states except Hawaii, Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massasschetts, Rhode Island and Maine.
    What are Wells Fargo’s dealer services?
    Wells Fargo’s dealer services provide indirect auto financing, commercial products and banking services to auto dealers.
    How old do you have to be to open a bank account at Wells Fargo?
    You can open a Wells Fargo account with a parent or guardian at 13 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to open an account on your own.

Is Wells Fargo a good bank?

Wells Fargo offers many options to handle your financial needs, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investments and loans. Compared to other banks, interest rates and fees are average. Overall, Wells Fargo’s products and services are robust and allow you the convenience to bank however and wherever you like.

Wells Fargo Company Information