1.79/5
  • 1 star
Based on 312 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Wells Fargo

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 22, 2018

2215 Wells Fargo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Wells Fargo Bank Appleton Wisconsin allowed a male to demand that a locksmith drill into the safety deposit box that was not his. He could not find his key. They did not ask for ID or match the signature card. The box was my mothers and he took items from the box. I asked numerous attorneys to help us to file charges. Banks are not regulated under the use of a safety deposit box. No legal help. Stay away from Wells Fargo Bank.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

When I met Miss **, banking became a pleasure, not a chore. Not only is she friendly, courteous and likable, "she knows the banking business" (as related to me)! I look forward to my weekly banking business because I know she is there to assist me if I have a problem. Miss **, you are my #1 bank person!!! (Of course you know that!!!)

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

WELLS FARGO BANK FRAUD ALERT! You don’t have to Bank at Wells Fargo to be ripped off by them. All you have to do is write someone a check that banks there. I wrote a check for $ 770.00 bucks. They turned right around and presented the same check twice but the second time they ran it for $ 2002.00. This was no accident. It had to be entered that way. When I clicked on the 2002.00 check up popped the 770.00 check that was run. The 770.00 showed up in both places. When I contacted my bank they called Wells Fargo, and they quickly apologized. If you know banks they never “quickly apologize". Only after days of investigation. Unless they're totally aware of their scam.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Wells Fargo locked me out of a business account that was rightfully mine. I also got arrested over the whole situation and charges were dropped. The person who took control of business account, went bankrupt and I was never allowed to access those accounts. I will one day have my justice from this corrupt financial bank. I hope one day all their banks are vacant and all the people that were part of such a corrupt bank, have a terrible retirement and are re-born into poverty, to learn from their mistakes.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I just got overdrafted by 60k because WF has either been hacked or issues with online banking. They made duplicate payments to vendors on all accounts!! This cause my business and personal account to go below ZERO!!!! And wait times are ridiculous!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I took over a small business account from other people. This account is with Wells Fargo unfortunately. Not to mention its website is below industry standard, it has the most strange service fee - $3 per month to hit a check image online. OK, I tried to be careful, not to look at check online. Well, this $3 is still there because I deposit checks from ATM machine. It just makes me to feel so low!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I sent a transfer three business days ago and it still hasn't cleared. Based on that I get a overdraft charges. I call support, they say they can't see the transfer on their hand. Lies. They'll clear the transfer magically the next day, they've done this before. I should have closed my account back then. I've worked at Wells. I've maintaining a positive balance for years. I have a credit card with them for years. In the same amount time I've had a credit opened with Bank of America my credit line has been extended twice. At Wells, nothing. Three years of good standing means absolutely nothing.

Bank of America makes ridiculously easy to send account alerts, to move balance from another account if it ever goes overdraft. Basically you almost never ever pay BoA an overdraft fee. Wells Fargo is a scam, they'll do everything they can to charge you. I've received three class actions notification connected to Wells Fargo, one already paid out, they've opened/closed accounts without telling their customers. The worst bank ever. I cannot wait to close my account with them. Support is absolutely horrible. Helpless. Don't know anything. Apparently they don't have access to any information, so what are good for then? I hope they shut down this scam any day now.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Wells Fargo is by far the WORST bank I have EVER dealt with. They make all their money off late fees. Their favorite is to say you're set up on auto pay and then they don’t really set it up and give you a late fee for it. I hate that I got my car loan through them because now I have to stay with them till I pay it off. But believe me that is the first thing I will do is switch banks. I’m honestly in shock by how horrible this bank is. Can’t believe they are still in business with all the dishonesty they have had in the past with stealing money, etc. My husband has American First and Chase and he has NEVER been charged late fees. They even give him rewards all the time just for banking with them. I highly recommend not using Wells Fargo, ever!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Wells Fargo has reordered transactions that I've done in order to charge me more fees. They reorder them largest amount transaction first than smaller ones after that so they can charge multiple overdraft fees as opposed to just one. This is an illegal practice however they continue to do it they have lost a class action lawsuit about this but are in appeals. And usually you have a small grace period once your account goes into the red, but they've taken that grace period away after my account went into the red for a little bit a matter of a couple hours and charge me an overdraft fee anyway even though I brought the account to good on the same day. I am currently shopping for a different account and would a recommended no one ever do business with them ever. All you have to do is search and they have tons of cases of fraud against them. I would attach images but conveniently they won't let you screenshot their app.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

They just stole another $297 from me when they owe me over $700. I had a deposit go missing on Friday and they will not give me my money, I have money sent via the cash app all the time and one just disappeared. They are saying they didn't get it when I know they did, I have everything from Cash support showing they got the money and Wells Fargo won't give it back.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I recently visited a Wells Fargo ATM that was not running properly. By fluke, I had attempted to take out 80 dollars but only received 40 and my card was taken and shredded. It was a faulty ATM that needed service - had nothing to do with the company itself. I work full-time, and am young and am still trying to figure out my financial situation. I was counting on that extra 40 dollars to last me until payday. I had filed a claim with a friendly and understanding representative, and she ensured me there would be a thorough investigation with no worries on my end.

Two business days and 3 follow ups later, I found myself back on the phone with a representative following up on my claim, as I was worried that I may not be able to make it until payday. I live 45 minutes from work with less than a half tank of gas to last me. Rough! Anyhow, the rep was understanding and credited me enough to fill my tank, and my faith is still with the company to refund me the money that was wrongfully taken from my account due to an ATM that required service. Wells Fargo has come through for me and I am sure that any customer will be taken care of. Thanks Wells Fargo! - Customer of 4 years.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Wells Fargo is the most inconsiderate bank I’ve ever dealt with. They’re greedy. After being a long time customer, I recently experienced a hardship which caused my account to overdraft slightly. Once I was able to get my direct deposit with my job set up correctly, the overdraft was quickly taken care of. When I asked for help in getting the fees refunded, they told me that there was nothing they could do to help me. It was not a habitual thing to overdraft my account. I thought they could help me with the fees as a courtesy. They showed no empathy whatsoever. I will be closing all accounts and never dealing with them again.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Made several phone calls to get a claim specialist. Anyways the banker deals with us so why wait too long? 1 full hour. Multiple phone calls. No one came on the phone to talk to me and the worst experience I had a claim regarding a refund and the refund is done but not fully. So I want to update on that and want them to follow up regarding that but didn't get any answer I tell you. Missed Wachovia in so many ways.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have been experiencing for past (6) months or more of transactions & deductions being posted and clearing only to go back a week later and have it no longer posted like never existed then at a later time have that same transaction & deduction posted again. When you try to explain it the Customer Service Rep they make it seems like you don't know how to count or manage your money. You must have a mental issue of some kind.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

This is by far the most shady bank you could ever use. They only strive on charging you overdraft fees with very little protection. I only use this account for small purchases (only put about 50 dollars a week) and I've been seeing some weird activity. For example 4/10 times this will happen. Once a transaction gets posted it'll be taken off a day or two later with money back in the account. And then a day or two after that it's put back on? Are they trying to get me to think I have extra money in my account so I can go over and get a overdraft fee??? Another great example already said about them on this website is they love to wait until your bank account gets low to charge you on pending transactions or monthly subscriptions. Don't ever use this bank for any reason whatsoever. I'm opening a Chase account and closing this one right away.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

While I hadn't made any deposits or withdrawals to my account for the past year, I go online at least twice a week to check account status and respond to any notices, check tax paperwork, etc. I wrote a check on this account and mailed it last week. Today, when I went online to see if the check had cleared, I found that my account had been deactivated! For all my online access, they never notified me they were deactivating or gave me a chance to keep it active. I called their 800 cust svc number and was told I must go in person to my local branch to reactivate the account.

If that outstanding check comes in before I'm reactivated, that check will bounce. When I asked, Customer Service would not tell me that Wells Fargo will assume responsibility for the bouncing, fees and follow up communications with the payee. I'm going to hopefully beat my check to the bank to reactivate this account, and then close the account and move my business to a bank that cares about keeping customers.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

Twice Wells Fargo refused to pay my property taxes out of escrow account, more than enough was there, county started sending tax sale of property cards to me, finally Wells Fargo paid taxes but also tried billing me an inspection fee. WTF, TWICE THIS HAPPENED, another time I made mortgage payment thru mail with check, they said they never received it, I told them I will send another, well they had received the check before they said they hadn't, cashed the one I said I would resend, electronically deducted my banking account another mortgage payment and somehow it was 2 payments, they ended up with 4 mortgage payments when they already had the one they said they didnt, things from bank starting bouncing.

SCAM FARGO denied taking payments from my account even though it was listed right there and they said they only had 1 payment, LIERS. Took over a month to get my money put back into my bank account but my other bank waived all bounched check fees because they had listened to my calls with Wells Fargo and heard all their BS scam lies, But the worse thing with Scam Fargo was, I was offered a loan mod, they said cheaper interest rate, cheaper payment, I thought duh who wouldnt take it, well I got the paper work and after talking with wells fargo about the loan mod in the paperwork was a lil thing they never mentioned, my mortgage of $70,000 and 15 years, with loan mod that they said would save me $15,000, well BS, it would go $311,000 total and from 15 years to 40 years.

WTF, I told them no, they said I was in default, they had put my mortgage payments as a payment to home preservation dept or something like that, WTF. I NEVER SIGNED THE SCAM ASS PAPERWORK, and after I complained about the scam the overnighted foreclosure papers, cost me $35,000 on top of paying off my mortgage, lawyer fees, court hassle etc.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Over a year ago I learned my Mortgage was purchased by Wells Fargo. I went into my local branch and was told that I could have free checking. So, I opened a personal checking account, saving account and a credit card account. There was also a “line of credit” account that was opened. It later disappeared after the Wells Fargo financial news of the bank opening unwanted accounts. I did the same for my business, checking, savings, credit card. I learned recently that I was being charged a fee for both savings accounts. I have now closed both of the savings accounts. I also to my regret moving my IRA account over to Wells Fargo Investments. In addition to that account I asked that a “simple IRA” be opened for my business. Instead they opened a SEP that did not meet my small business needs. It took four attempts and intervention of my account to finally remedy that misfire.

The most recent issue with Wells Fargo involved my attempt to pay off both my Personal and Business credit card, as the rates had gone through the roof! I took out a Navy Federal Equity load. Two checks were sent to Wells Fargo to pay off each of these accounts. The personal account was paid but the check intended to pay off my Business credit card was never deposited. I confirmed that it was set by Navy Federal and received by Wells Fargo. I called Wells Fargo’s customer service and was basically bowed off and told to talk to Navy Federal. My experience with Wells Fargo Bank and Wells Fargo Investment has been dismal. I have moved all of my accounts to other financial intuitions. I would strongly caution anyone thinking about opening an account with Wells Fargo Bank or Wells Fargo Investment to reconsider.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I called Wells Fargo business payroll in February to close my small business Payroll Account. During the conversations, the Wells Fargo representative assured me that my account can be suspended so that no further fees can be incurred. I hung up believing that Wells Fargo will freeze my account and no longer charge any fees (Minimum of $65/Month). I was wrong. It turned out the most the bank could freeze the payroll account was 3 months. However, Wells Fargo charged by Payroll Account $65/Month from March to November 2017 ($65 x 9 = $585).

Worst, after my payroll account came to zero, Wells Fargo charged Overdraft Fees to my Payroll and Savings Accounts including an additional administrative charge the last 3 months. I was charged over $165 in fees + $65 payroll fees the month of November 2017. For any small business out there working with Wells Fargo, be extra careful as the bank is geared absolutely to frustrate customers. I will never do business or personal banking with Wells Fargo again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

This has got to be the worst bank in the history of banks. I’ve had TD bank and I have a Chase account and none of them gave me the problems Wells Fargo did. First off let me start by saying WHAT BANK SENDS OUT AN ATM PIN IN THE MAIL AFTER YOU ALREADY RECEIVED THE CARD??? Are you dumb??? Dont you think as soon as people receive their card they are going to use it and they cant because they have to wait a next 3 days for their atm pin. That was the first strike with them.

The next strike was their customer service. I won't even touch on that topic. Now what makes me furious this morning is the fact that I mobile deposited a check on Sunday and they said it was going to clear Tuesday. It is now Tuesday and they are going to tell me the check is on hold because the signature was irregular and won't be available until December 28th which is 9 days away??? I AM SO UPSET BEYOND BELIEF and they are doing nothing about it but telling me it's out of their hands. I will be closing my account and sticking to Chase. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND WELLS FARGO TO ANYONE. They are the absolute WORST!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

They say they mailed me a check. Haven’t gotten it yet! They close my account without giving me a time for me to switch everything over. I still have bills coming out. They said they have the right to close any account at any time without notice. Mine was close because they said I fail to show them ID. How can I withdraw money out of account without having ID? I had my account open for 2 mos. NO Calls, No Emails, No Mail. Not even the personal banker mentioned anything about NO ID? They are full of **.

The real reason they closed my account because they don’t want to pay $200 bonus on the 3rd mo. as promised. I'm no fool. I followed all their little rules to get it. (Use your card 10 times or Online bill pay for 3 mos. and get $200.) They are a complete SCAM. They already stole people money at of their account and had to pay a settlements. So what does that tell you? I shouldn't be so surprised. I thought they changed after that incident. Obviously not!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I went to the Wells Fargo ATM December 2, 2017 in Prattville AL. I put my card in and a message displayed 'Unable to Process'. My money was not dispensed but they debited my account. They denied my claim. Wells Fargo have very bad business practices. They try to steal the money of the hard working middle class people. They have had serious problems with their ATM network over the past month. They are dishonest and greedy. That's why they had to be bailed out! I want my money!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Wells Fargo are thieves! Not only do they put random charges on your account their personal bankers are liars and out to meet a new account quota. I opened a savings that was suppose to protect my account from overdraft. If my checking account was to go into negative it was automatically suppose to pull from my savings account. That NEVER happened. I had to physically log on to my online banking to do it myself. They never informed me in a timely manner.

When my account was negative I had to check for myself. I logged into my account Monday. Say it was negative. Transferred funds. Logged back in on Tuesday and had an overdraft fee of 35.00. NEVER got my money back. I had fee ranging from 9.98 to 14.98 placed on my account by Wells Fargo with no description when I called and questioned them about it they came up with every lie they could to try explain them away. I am currently in a group lawsuit against Wells Fargo. I suggest anyone banking with them examine your account closely. If you see any random charges for different amounts or anything else out of the unusual please contact me so I can put you in touch with the lawyer in charge of the lawsuit.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

My husband and I did a balance transfer to my husband's Wells Fargo credit card. I've been told that there would be 15 months zero interest rate. After a while I noticed that I've been charged interest from the purchases I made even I made full payment of last months statement. When I called WF to ask why am I paying interest on purchases that I am paying in full on statement date customer rep told that every purchase I made with that card immediately get interest charge because of the balance transfer. I already paid 3% balance transfer fee, and they are still charging interest rate on my current purchases. She said this was disclosed at balance transfer agreement. I don't know if they put it in the papers that they gave me after the balance transfer, but for sure they didn't disclose it before the balance transfer. I've been told only 3% balance transfer fee. This is a financial hassling. We closed the credit card and never open it back.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

This bank has to be one of the worst banks out there. I had this bank 2 years ago and left them because they refuse to do banking right. Every week it seems I'm paying a fee. They try so hard to have to transfer your money for you so you wind up paying the 12.50 fee. I have debit card overdraft service which means they pay the transactions for debit card purchases and cash from the ATM at their discretion. I guess that will never happen because I have tried to use the service numerous times and it never works. I've put in about 7000 in this bank already.

One time my daughter dance school check came in and I was 5.00 short and they sent it back. Petty is what I call it. But then they charged me 70 overdraft services for 2 8.00 purchases. I left this bank for a reason before and I plan on doing it again. They're pitiful. And they're always being sued about something and the cases usually end up in the other party's favor. Don't see why I use this bank. They're full of it!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Paid my electric bill on FPL.com and Wells Fargo decided that 2 months in a row the payment was fraudulent. 2 late fees later and now have lost my right to pay on fpl.com online. Now even though I am not late on bills I have to go to a Walmart and pay my bill over the counter. Now they are doing it to my Chase credit card.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Worst bank and Xmas experience. I order from Best Buy all the time. This year Wells Fargo decided to kick back my transaction and required me to call and give a store I been using for years permission to take funds. In meantime the transaction was tried several times and at the end I got no merchandise and still waiting for my money and the bank will not put my money back. They keep telling me Best Buy got it but as a person who knows better, if it says pending then the merchant has not took funds out bank yet. Why won't the bank put my damn money back. Now my item will be full price and color pink will probably be sold out by the time I can save up another $348. I am closing all 4 accounts this week.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Thought of the rep as a banking consultant not used car sales and wound up further in debt after the refi than I was before and had to file bankruptcy. Because of extraneous circumstances wasn’t going to be able to recover there so lost my home as well. Do not EVER use Wells Fargo! I had been a satisfied banking customer for years and could not believe the lies the rep told me to get me to sign the refi contract. The exact details aren’t that important, but the biggest lie was the fact I was told that what I wanted to do was a “smart move” and after I signed the papers was told the bank “never” did that.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

After being a loyal Wells Fargo customer for a decade we opened business account with them and initially it was OK, especially given a customer-friendly Prime Account manager in San Francisco. But, in 2017 we started using their Merchant Services and it turned be a horror story for our company for our small startup. We launched the credit card payments and at some point they literally STOLE our money by coming of completely unjustified "conclusion" about "risks" and (without ANY communication) simply removing our money from Checking account associated with this service to their own and freezing them for 6 months. All communication with people in Oyster Bay, New York, has proven they are completely ignorant and unprofessional. We are literally shocked it could be THAT bad. They left us without money in the bank at the very critical phase of a major project.

Our accountant got a nervous breakdown because of them and ended in the Emergency room when this happened. It was literally a horror movie happening in reality. Wells Fargo seems to forgot they are supposed to be a bank, a pipe for money transfer and not a police/Big Brother or some sort of authoritarian entity that we never authorized to behave like this. Not only they put our business at risk, they also violated rights and interests of our clients. Now we are preparing a legal case and will surely stand up against their devastating practices.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

At POS money is deducted from checking account. Anywhere from 3 to up to 30 days later they take the funds out again & give a BS story of it's up to the merchant to remove funds not them. Numerous times my account was double charged!!! They never give out ending balances on online banking...only transactions. Ending balances are on a different screen. When you call to complain...they make it sound like you're crazy & have no clue how to manage your account.

Wells Fargo expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.

• Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.

• Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.

• Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.

• Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.

• Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.

• Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.

• Best for: Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

www.wellsfargo.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use