Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

BOTTOM LINE

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

PROS

• Free online banking and mobile app
    • Free money transfers
    • Large selection of financial products

CONS

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Top Wells Fargo Reviews

Wells has always been responsive to questions and issues, both online and through my local bank. Their fraud department is first rate. When my credit card was compromised, they responded immediately with a new card and did not hold me liable for any of the charges.

… Most people only take the time to write bad reviews but I wanted to take the time to say he was very friendly and helpful and I will definitely be sending others into this branch ...

Looking for a mortgage lender?

What is Wells Fargo Bank?

Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage services as well as commercial and consumer financing at 7,600 locations in 32 countries and territories around the globe. Wells Fargo mobile banking gives customers the ability to link their checking, savings, credit card and investment accounts all in one place. Customers can also deposit checks from their phones with the Wells Fargo app.

Wells Fargo financial services

Wells Fargo offers multiple products and services, including checking, savings accounts, credit cards and loans.

Wells Fargo checking accounts
        Wells Fargo has five different options for personal checking accounts — Everyday, Preferred, Portfolio, Teen and Opportunity. Businesses can select from Simple, Choice Platinum and Analyzed checking accounts. Most personal and business checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.
        Wells Fargo savings accounts and CDs
        Wells Fargo offers two savings account options, Way2Save and Platinum Savings. Wells Fargo also offers CDs, which require at least a $2,500 minimum opening deposit. CDs are available at fixed rates and step rates.
        Wells Fargo loans
        Wells Fargo offers multiple loan types, including student loans, auto loans and mortgage loans to help you buy, refinance or renovate a home. The bank offers low-APR personal loans and lines of credit ranging from $3,000 to $100,000. Wells Fargo also provides loans and lines of credit for businesses.
        Wells Fargo credit cards
        Wells Fargo has several credit card options. Almost all Wells Fargo cards have a cash back or reward program, and a few have no annual fee.
        Wells Fargo retirement services
        Wells Fargo offers traditional and Roth IRAs. You can also invest in mutual funds and manage your portfolio yourself or with the help of a Wells Fargo investment professional. The WellsTrade Mutual Fund Screened Listed makes investing simple by pre-screening mutual funds. Wells Fargo Advisors, a full-service brokerage, is available to customers to help with investment planning. You can also invest directly online and automate your investing through the Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor.
        Wells Fargo merchant services
        Wells Fargo makes running a business easy with payment processing that allows you to accept card payments onsite, online or wherever you might be. Mobile payments are available for Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Wells Fargo benefits for business owners also include Clover point-of-sale systems customized fit your business needs.

Wells Fargo Reviews

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

My wife and I went to the Westshore branch to open an account. We were fortunate to be assisted by Personal Banker Alexandra **. I have never experienced such friendly, knowledgeable and efficient service. I can see why she came highly recommended. With employees like this Wells Fargo will go from strength to strength. Thank you very much for assisting me and my family. Looking forward to many happy years banking with you.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I went into the the Woodstock Branch in Towne Lake (Georgia), Shaun ** assisted me. Most people only take the time to write bad reviews but I wanted to take the time to say he was very friendly and helpful and I will definitely be sending others into this branch. From the minute I walked in the door the lady who assisted me, to the teller who finalized closing out my out, the whole staff is so friendly and helpful. This branch goes above and beyond and truly cares about the customer experience. 5 stars!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Wells Fargo has made huge efforts to re-establish their customers' faith by totally re-vamping their sales strategy and taking accountability for any/all past mistakes. I have seen much improvement in their authentication methods with a focus on privacy and security. Despite the whole fiasco a few years ago I was confident in that they would do the right thing and use the situation as a learning experience. It’s not to say that the issue would not happen again and I believe any/all companies are subject to the same type of issues Wells Fargo has experienced without proper account safety protocols in place to try and circumvent situations such as what Wells Fargo has experienced.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Have to say THANK YOU to Kristina ** in the Windsor, CO local branch. We walked in with a tricky situation involving a scam, and she immediately got on the phone and started taking steps to help us. She spent ~45 minutes working on this stressful situation. She was professional, courteous, empathetic, and did everything she possible could to help us. Thank you so much Kristina! Mike & Tanner ** Windsor, CO.

Original review: March 26, 2019

CAME TO THE NEW PROVIDENCE BRANCH OF WELLS FARGO. MET WITH MARY **. MS. ** WAS THE CONSUMMATE PROFESSIONAL. Explained everything down to smallest detail. No pressure, no hurries, no worries. Our loan was approved in 30 minutes. Ms. ** is truly a person you want to deal with. Knows her job right down to the last word. Customer service is a lost art, but not with Ms. **. She has renewed my faith in dealing with people who say they care and want to to help and that is exactly what she did. In closing I want to say thank you to Mary ** for being the warm, caring individual that she is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I got scammed through using PayPal and inquired if it was possible they could help me, though I didn't think so because they never do. They could have just said 'no.' Instead, it took 3 people to think. One said they were going through my Paypal account and the other persons' and couldn't find the transaction. (Which shouldn't actually be possible. They don't know my password). So I send Photobucket links since you can't put attachments in the message. Then I got someone who apologized that the messaging system doesn't allow attachments. It wasn't an attachment, it was a photobucket link. Copy. And. Paste. It took the last person to finally tell me they can't help. I am only staying with them because otherwise I will have to rearrange things with my Social Security account, my new job where I haven't gotten direct deposits yet, and change all my checks and credit cards. So, basically current convenience.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My husband has a 401k account with Wells Fargo and getting any kind of online service is an absolute nightmare. We called customer service in order to access his account online. We were passed along to several people and not only were they unprofessional, they were uneducated about how to use their own system. After an 1.5 hours they still could not figure out how to use their own system and told us to go to a branch. They looked up the branch info and got the locations wrong. My company uses Fidelity and let me tell you they do not miss a beat - awesome, fast customer service all the way!!! I recommend that those with Wells Fargo accounts switch so they do not have to continue getting nightmare customer service!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I called because I had a question in regards to business wire transfer. The lady said that for business I'm allowed up to 10k a day. I told her that I had an RSA key which allows higher daily transfer and that I've done transfer with this key greater than $10k in the past. She argued with me and said that I had to go into the store and get an upgrade. I said it doesn't make sense that I needed an upgrade because I was never prompted for the code this time. I asked her if she could check my account and she hung up on me. I've called many times in the past and spoke with a business rep and have never been treated this way. I am a customer at WF and have been for a very very long time. This person who handles customer service, should not be in customer service.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I took a loan for a home by Wells Fargo and that very same year I paid off the loan. Nearly 3 months later I got an email saying my check for escrow was going to expire. I was none the wiser because I never got any mail from them regarding an escrow check. On the phone I gave them my personal information and asked if they could simply deposit the money directly into my bank account. They said no because my bank account doesn't have my co-buyers names on it, and they cannot verify that it is even my account because it is not a Wells Fargo bank account. I asked if they wanted to do a three way call to verify we are all us, but they said no. They know my co-buyers are in another state than myself and continued to ask me to sign the check with them. They then said I could have my co-buyers notarize a document giving me permission, I was the primary loan holder, to have the money.

I then explained one of my co-buyers has a serious medical condition right now and doesn't have time for this stuff. They said, "Sorry, but it doesn't matter. This is how we do things with our bank." They said if I don't do it this way, the escrow will disappear. These people are pigs and have inhuman practices! Do NOT ever bank or get involved with them in any way!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Wells Fargo refused my cashier’s check deposit at the teller's window. Their stupid excuse is: “We cannot verify it". It took me 30 ** minutes to call Suntrust bank and get the branch manager to verify It’s a legitimate check. What a waste of time. NO wonder their earnings numbers were very low. If it wasn’t for my established online banking bill payments and the Prime -2 line of credit that I had from Wachovia I would have closed my account without hesitation.

Not sure about Wells Fargo?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Wells Fargo fees

Wells Fargo’s monthly service fees for checking accounts range from $0 to $30, though service fees are waived for teenagers and college students between 17 to 24 years old. Monthly service fees for business checking accounts range from $10 to $40. The bank charges a $5 or $12 monthly fee on savings accounts. Wells Fargo's checking account fees can be avoided by maintaining a specific average balance or completing a minimum number of transactions each month. Also, expect fees for late credit card payments and overdraft charges unless your checking and savings accounts are linked.

Wells Fargo check cashing fee
            You only have to pay a Wells Fargo Bank fee to cash a check if you don’t have an account. The cost for nonmembers to cash a check at a Wells Fargo bank is $7.50.
            Wells Fargo transfer fee
            It costs $0 to transfer money between Wells Fargo accounts or for bank-to-bank transfer service.
            Wells Fargo overdraft fee
            Wells Fargo charges a $35 overdraft fee per item.
            Wells Fargo ATM fee
            ATM fees are $0 for Wells Fargo customers when they use a Wells Fargo ATM. Cash withdrawals at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are $2.50 each, and account balance inquiries are $2 each.
            Wells Fargo foreign transaction fee
            Wells Fargo’s foreign transaction fees reach up to 3% on some accounts. Outside of the U.S., ATM cash withdrawals are $5 each and ATM accounts transfers are $2 per transfer.
            Wells Fargo cash advance fee
            Wells Fargo’s cash advance fees are up to $12.50 per transaction. Credit advances vary based on the account.

Wells Fargo Bank FAQ

Does Wells Fargo have 24/7 customer service?
            Yes, Wells Fargo has 24/7 customer service available by phone and online.
            Is Wells Fargo a commercial bank?
            Yes, Wells Fargo provides commercial banking services and products for individuals and businesses.
            What states have Wells Fargo banks?
            Wells Fargo has locations throughout the U.S. in all states except Hawaii, Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massasschetts, Rhode Island and Maine.
            What are Wells Fargo’s dealer services?
            Wells Fargo’s dealer services provide indirect auto financing, commercial products and banking services to auto dealers.
            How old do you have to be to open a bank account at Wells Fargo?
            You can open a Wells Fargo account with a parent or guardian at 13 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to open an account on your own.

Is Wells Fargo a good bank?

Wells Fargo offers many options to handle your financial needs, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investments and loans. Compared to other banks, interest rates and fees are average. Overall, Wells Fargo’s products and services are robust and allow you the convenience to bank however and wherever you like.

Wells Fargo Company Information