2.94/5
Based on 1,870 ratings submitted in the last year

2739 Wells Fargo Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 26, 2019

CAME TO THE NEW PROVIDENCE BRANCH OF WELLS FARGO. MET WITH MARY **. MS. ** WAS THE CONSUMMATE PROFESSIONAL. Explained everything down to smallest detail. No pressure, no hurries, no worries. Our loan was approved in 30 minutes. Ms. ** is truly a person you want to deal with. Knows her job right down to the last word. Customer service is a lost art, but not with Ms. **. She has renewed my faith in dealing with people who say they care and want to to help and that is exactly what she did. In closing I want to say thank you to Mary ** for being the warm, caring individual that she is.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have a personal account, I have a business account, I have a safe deposit box, I have a business credit card account, for the last 15 years. I have not found any major issues with my accounts. I am their happy quiet customer. Their customer is as good as any other bank if not better. They charge for stuff just as much as other banks.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We were visiting the Nashville location and we met Chris **, the Vice President/Manager. We had a wonderful experience and cannot express how great he treated us. We watched him have a personal relationship with every customer that walked in the door. He took a good 5-10 minutes getting to know us and helping us in every way possible. With Wells Fargo being such a large corporation THIS is the type of management you should have. Thank you Chris ** for setting the atmosphere of your workplace to be wonderful!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I really & truly think that Wells Fargo is the best bank. I have never had an issue since with anything negative since I first opened my checking account back in 2010. I have only nice things to say about Wells Fargo. Anytime I have ever had a discrepancy, whether it be on my online statement or with an unauthorized charge on my debit card, Wells Fargo always takes care of it and never gives me any hassle about it whatsoever and I appreciate that and truly feel like they are on my side. It’s a good feeling.

Since I have a checking and a savings account with Wells Fargo and since I use my debit card at least ten times a month for purchases, I haven't paid for checking in years. They have ATMs located all across America & the new ATMs even give you a choice on what denominations of bills you want from the machine, even $5.00 bills! Just make sure if you leave the country you have enough cash in the bank to cover your needs (especially in the Southern part of Mexico) because they do not always have branch locations or ATMs available where you can deposit cash if you should need to. I’m unsure why this bank has such a ‘bad rap’ and such a low star rating. I ❤️ Wells Fargo!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

My name is Natalie **. It is with tears that I am writing this letter. I have been a member of Wells Fargo on-and-off for many years. I have also been a member of Bank of America, however, there is no comparison to Wells Fargo. I don't care what anyone says. I am speaking base on my experience with both banks. Wells Fargo has helped me out more than even my family members. I have had many financial emergencies, such as, utility bills, credit cards with revolving payments. I was unable to pay these bills. Even though the money was not there they paid it anyway. And am not just talking about one time, it happen on several occasions. I was at my wit's end in debt. I hit rock bottom and had no money to pay my bills. Wells Fargo believed in me. I will never leave them for another bank. I had Bank of America for several years, and NEVER had they done this for me or anything of that sort.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: July 19, 2019

I just wanted to close out my safe deposit box. I went, cleaned it out and handed over the keys. The banker told me that I should not close it that day but instead first open the new box at the branch near my home - that if I did that before closing the old box I could still have a box without opening an account. I made an appt at the new branch only to be told he was wrong, they could not open a box unless I opened an account I did not want. I left and went to a different bank. I then had to make a separate trip back to the original branch, now distant from my office and home, where upon arrival they told me the one person who could close the account had left for lunch. There was no alternative way to close the account - not by leaving the keys and letting them email paperwork, not at a different branch. Nothing. I had to either miss work or make the long trip again.

Then I called the central banking line to see if there was some way to get the billing stopped as of that day at least and was bounced around for an hour with only a filed complaint as a result. But towards the end of that the service manager comes up and says there is a way to do it by mail after all, he just was not aware of it until he researched it. Seriously? Terrible customer service, lack of training, lack of online options. Won’t EVER go back. Have my box at a different bank now for half the price.

Original review: July 17, 2019

For 5 years I've never had issues depositing checks into the Atm. Because the Atm was being audited, my checks were kicked back. I made the dep, on July 5th. They should never have been returned. Here it is July 17th and I have talked to many people from customer service to atm dept. I've never ever seen one company (esp a bank) lie so much. I have been told the checks were mailed back on 8th. Lie...not till 11th. Atm division didn't exist, it does, would have the checks back by 17th, now they say 25th... Keep in mind, dep on July 5th. That is not 7 to 10 business days. I loved Wells Fargo, but at this, I'm not surprised anymore when I hear how low class lying thieves they are. I should have moved my account soon as I heard they were opening false accounts in peoples' names. NEVER BANK HERE!!

Original review: July 16, 2019

Long time customer. I am not a rich girl; Wells Fargo seems to have wealthy clientele and it shows who really matters to them. NOT the little guy. Wells Fargo continues to screw me over!! Pending withdrawals come out of nowhere. It takes DAYS for money to come out of account, makes me believe there’s more money than I actually have. Their overdraft fees of $35 ** me over even more. Thanks for never helping me to get out of your debt, Wells Fargo. The only good thing I have to say about them, is they have ATMs everywhere and that much IS convenient.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Has Wells Fargo ever given you an overdraft when you had the money in your account at the time of purchase, only later to overdraft you? They can get away with this because they can pick and choose up to 15 days when a transaction posts to your account. In this case they can post the charge you had covered after you overdraft. This results in a second/third/fourth overdraft. Personally, I think it should go by the time date stamp so they cannot switch the order of transactions giving you overdrafts. We have no control over this and they can pick and choose when to overdraft us. I consider this to be an unethical process.

Being only one person there is nothing I can do and they know that but together we can defend ourselves and become a menace that cannot be ignored. I will take care of most the foot work. What need is actual examples. We can get Wells Fargo to sit up and notice the average Joe, please send me your examples to **. I will collect them and take them to the Attorney General among other places.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I have been banking with Wells Fargo off and on for some time. I seem to have forgotten why I dont bank with wells Fargo. Now that I am banking I remember why I can't stand them. Reason to banking is I need more than one bank because of the amount of only insured for $25,000. I live in Vancouver Washington and perform all my banking or activities in Portland Oregon. I would say a 10 mile radius.

My credit debit card has been locked with the system in less than four weeks 6 times. This is not only annoying and makes my blood boil. It's rather inconvenient because I had to waste 3 hours of my time in traffic to go back to the bank to fix it. I'm getting gas or food and the card will not work. When you know you have money. The bank personnel are hopeless and down right pathetic. Because they can't resolve the problem even talking to the security department. If this is a on going problem how come it doesn't go to another department to get looked into like the presidential office or something. I had this kind of computer problem with ATT and it went all the way up to the Presidential office. I'm so annoyed and mad at this bank. I have question about loss money also. But I'm just pulling my resources out. Stay clear people.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Trying to close accounts that my Mother had at Wells Fargo, properly titled in a trust with me as a Trustee and her only living relative. Also to transfer IRA account. Told it takes 5-7 days to retitle the account. (She had a Suntrust Account also... They did it in 45 minutes.) Also has now been a week and they are still not able to verify that I am the beneficiary of her Ira Account. I have given them a copy of Mom's original account opening paperwork. Say it takes 7-10 days to receive a "package" of how I have to handle the IRA accounts. Just one more reason to do your bank with a local or regional bank. They could care less about your situation.

Original review: July 12, 2019

This is just another way to scam customers. My son is in a different state and tried depositing cash into my account. They said it's policy not to accept cash from people without an account there. He came back with a certified cashier's check and deposited it. They said it's not available until the next day. So they don't accept cash and put a one day hold on a guaranteed check. Basically they are forcing their customers to allow them to borrow YOUR money for 24 hours. Scammers. Can't wait to close my account.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Wells Fargo has managed to botch every step of our mortgage process. We have had to find alternative housing for a week and counting while our future house sits empty. They said that they had to do a reappraisal due to federal regulations (we’ve spoken to three real estate agents and no one else has been impacted, so this is clearly a lie). Then they ordered the incorrect appraisal, so we’re still waiting on the correct appraisal to happen. Had they done their due diligence, they would have known three weeks prior that they thought they needed this reappraisal, but they waited until three days before closing. They have offered us nothing but lies and excuses, costing us extra money and housing for our kids. Completely unacceptable.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Don't trust Bill Pay. When you change your address online it does not change the address on the checks they send out through Bill Pay. You have to go in and make the change in a different spot. What this means is that you can spoof your address if you don't want to use your real address. Great job Wells at reinventing yourself. So all criminals that want to hide please use Wells Fargo Bill Pay.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I was scammed by a salesperson. 60 yrs old, convinced to open up accts I should not have. 2.5 hours with him, he pushed and pushed and would not take no. Ended up an job scam. Wells shafted me after 20 plus years...9k worth of loss. They would not do what is right, 3.3 years later. They are monsters. Will probably have a heart attack and die over this.

Original review: July 8, 2019

A transaction was canceled and I even had the merchant on the other line stating that it was canceled. Wells Fargo refuses to release the funds back into my account. This is not the first time they have done this but it will be the last with my account. I would not recommend anyone using Wells Fargo for anything. They will screw you over!!

Original review: July 8, 2019

I knew Wells Fargo had a long track record of fraud and scamming their customers with made up fees and hidden charges, but I thought I’d give them a chance because they had publicly announced they had cleaned up their act (they didn’t), and also the location of one of their branches seemed to be convenient (it wasn’t). I thought if I banked carefully I'd be alright, but after a year of trying to do business with them and wasting tons of time, I've found there is just no winning with these con artists. They will always find new ways to take your money and not give it back. I thought that the company would get better after fraud scandals going public, but it seems Wells Fargo still has no shame and has no intention on anything other than taking your money and keeping it by any means possible.

Currently I am being financially discriminated against and cannot access my own finances because of prior health issues that were of no business of my banking institution. They are now basically holding my funds hostage because of past medical bills. Because these old medical bills, that were botched by Veteran Affairs billing, had slightly damaged my credit, Wells Fargo has put me on what they call a "probationary account”. After being on this for a year and no answers as how to get off of it, it appears to be more indefinite than probationary.

It has left me time and again out in the cold, unable to use my own money in my own account, and limits what I am able to purchase, despite sufficient funds. They have also decided that I cannot make purchases over several hundred dollars even though I have well over the available funds in my account. It’s like I give them my money, and I can’t get it back because they keep putting a hold on it, but it’s my money, that is very stressful and makes life complicated, it does not help in any way.

As a nearly 30 year old Marine Corps Veteran, I don’t need someone to hold my money for me and decide what I can and cannot purchase with it and give me limited access to what is mine. How can I get by in life nowadays without making purchases over a few hundred dollars? Keep in mind this isn’t regarding a loan or anything, this is my basic checking account with my own money in it they will not let me use. I was also denied use of a savings account, because of this same reason. I no longer have a right to spend or save my own money because of unforeseen health issues, so if you bank with WF be very careful not to get sick or injured, because if you do, they will ensure even if you do get better, you are at least financially crippled.

WF is dictating the usage of my personal funds, I can't even use my own checking account. Thanks for putting me in a financial chokehold WF, but a “get well soon” card would have sufficed. I’m handling the payments just fine so why would my bank even give me any kind of "probation" when I never overdrew or misused my account. They have no right to jump to conclusions and micromanage my finances. These were medical bills I shouldn’t have even owed because I am insured and was covered, but am still paying myself, to the best of my ability in good faith, despite the mistake.

A few payments I did miss, after discovering this clerical error with the medical bills, was when WF denied the payment for being over my “limit” (which should be how much is in my account, not a minuscule insufficient number they make up) and I was never informed by them that they cancelled the transaction so I had to go back repeatedly for the same bill and had to pay a bunch extra in fees. It’s like saying since I owed some medical bills, I have no right to my finances, I cannot access money to further fix health, repair financial situation or even to pay the bills themselves!

This also happened with other bills and even my rent had to be worked out to be paid over several days, and days I’d pay bills and hit limit meant I couldn’t get gas, food, or anything else on those days as well. Plus I’ve paid more fees than I can recall for going just over limit and not having auto withdrawn payments go through despite having sufficient funds in account. Because I incurred some unforeseen medical debt, WF is gonna help by making things more difficult, expensive, and time consuming? WF only makes things more frustrating and this will and has only made things worse. I’d be better off with my money under the mattress. Not having access to my finances isn’t saving me money, it’s constantly costing me more and wasting so much time. I fought hard for good health only to have my bank kick me as I get back up and extend the woes of my situation into every aspect of my finances.

No other bank treats their customers more discriminatorily or as unfairly as WF does. How dare they put consumers into the positions they do, they already have a pretty greasy deal worked out as bankers in the first place. It’s the only business where they take your money in exchange for nothing and meanwhile whilst we fight to get it back they are making billions using our hard earned cash we gave up as a loan on their own investments, to which they keep all of the profits that they make, off our money.. And don’t tell me about the minuscule interest rates they have on savings accounts and the likes.

First off I can’t get a savings account apparently, which is ridiculous, nor do I, or many other people, qualify to do anything but give them our cash. Secondly it's just not enough to keep up with deflation of the Fiat paper dollar they scammed us into replacing our gold with long ago. Investments make $, gold stays steady, but your dollar weakens just sitting in the bank. To get any return on interest at a bank, you would have to spend so much and let it sit so long, you would be better off investing it anywhere else. Just ask them if they would loan anything at the interest rates they pay us. They would laugh and explain how they would be losing money by doing this, which is exactly what you do when you loan it to them. If you were to ask for a loan yourself they would either deny you or charge huge interest rates on the same money we had just gave them for free. What a scam!

It's good to have a safe place to put your cash and access it later, but WF is not that safe place and if you can’t even get that money back, it’s really just a pointless headache. It’s like hiding your money in the wall, but it’s in a bad spot and you can only just barely reach to grab a few bills off the top and meanwhile there are mice all around it taking bites and nibbles every chance they can get away with like the money is made of peanut butter and cheese. Now those rats don't complain when I put money in my account, essentially providing them with a loan every month, but when it comes to getting my money back they have miles of fine print and policies that stop me from accessing my own funds. WF is the worst institution when it comes to this, the same way the human body is composed of mostly water, WF is composed of primarily fine print and hidden fees.

They are a ruthless freak show of a business, not a bank. Banking should be simple, basic checking is not that complicated as to require legal injunction and enough red tape to give a lawyer a headache. Just take the money and give it back later, if that is too difficult they need to consider giving up the whole banking thing and just double down on their scams and become a traveling carnival because they are getting way to good at ripping people off. They could pack up into their fancy wagons they have plastered obsessively on the walls and hit the road with their trickery.

You thought the local fair was a rip off, these clowns wouldn’t even be likely to give you your change back. Honestly it would be more accurate to describe the running of that business by comparing it to a circus than to a bank. Wells Fair-go needs to settle down with these parlor tricks and start acting like a real bank already, but I'm done giving them chances, they're making banking overly complicated for their own profit at the expense of the consumer’s time and money.

My credit isn't even that bad, no mess with credit cards, no defaulted loans, hadn't declined payments on anything, just medical bills that are currently being paid off. But WF will use any kind of leverage it can to milk their customers dry through and keep the money in their hands regardless of how it affects the consumer. WF told me the limit was there to assist me, but I’m not seeing a single benefit out of this, I don’t need a limit on my account as I am responsible with my finances, perhaps it is WF who needs some limitations and injunction as they are being irresponsible with their clients funds and weaseling people out of their money.

Just recently I needed a laptop for upcoming college engineering classes and after waiting months for the Independence Day sale, as this is last sale before September, I spent 5+ days, increasingly more frantically, trying everything I could to place order in vain until the last day of sale. The equipment I need is no longer on sale and now costs more than double what it was on sale for. I can’t afford it now and have to start my college career ill equipped. I’ve needed a good computer for years and was going to buy this for myself as a birthday present for college, but all I’ll be getting this year is the deck of playing cards I had accidentally ordered while trying to see if debit card was working. It was, I just couldn’t buy anything else, but now I suppose I’ve got one of the programs my computer would have come with covered.. Microsoft solitaire…

I had put off getting computer for so long because I wanted one at affordable rate as it is one of bigger expenses for college and I also wanted to wait until just before starting so it would be up to date and everything, so timing was critical. The right one finally went on sale this past week from over $1300 all the way down to just over $500 and was just what I had waited for so long for. I had saved up what I needed, called the bank ahead just to make sure they wouldn’t botch it, but no, I was asking too much to spend my own dang money apparently. What right do they have to tell me how to manage money that is already mine.

A bank’s job is to hold your money not act like they own it. It’s hard enough to go make the money, I don’t need my bank to add an extra 20 steps when it finally comes time to use it. If I had to keep banking with these loons, I’d end up going back to the old bartering system of ancient times because even that was more convenient than this.

It’s not like I was trying to send exorbitant funds to some far off strange land or something, this was a single normal purchase and was an outstanding deal at the time. This was a financially responsible choice and a career driven decision and crucial investment I had planned on making for years, but most importantly it was my decision. I forgot my bank had hijacked my financial decision making capability and didn’t realize they had resolved (without notice) that I would not be able to invest in this nor any other purchases of this caliber.

After going in circles for nearly a week to do what should have only been the click of a button, I called my bank again and was told (the 3rd or 4th time calling that week) my account withdrawals are limited due to credit score, this purchase was over my limit and there was no fix for that, I was just outta luck. I was offered no solutions like I should just accept the fact I can’t use my own money. Who are they to say no?

The first WF employee, that I had called ahead of time, incorrectly explained to me it would work fine. Even though I kept reiterating that I was going to make the purchase, but was worried it might not go through because of what they had done before, I was fully assured (incorrectly) that it would work. There’s nothing worse than a lying, inattentive yes-man to handle your finances. The second time I called I was hung up on and only after calling in a third (or fourth) time, because I had exhausted all other possibilities, did they finally explained this was due to a limit they had imposed despite the fact I had previously called and taken every action to ensure the transaction would go through, and was told repeatedly it would. Shouldn’t need to play operator and do hear more BS over the phone than a busy secretary just to “conveniently” order a single item online.

I spent days going in circles on phone with Sears, eBay, Amazon, creditors, etc. trying to figure why I couldn’t purchase through their sites, all to find that it came back to WF. Again this was my joke of a bank’s fault despite their reassurance that it would work and despite taking every precaution to ensure a smooth transaction. I was repeatedly unable to make single simple transaction all while being improperly informed of situation leading me in a maze of dead end tech support and customer service lines where I had to spend my entire 4th of July weekend going in circles while everyone else celebrated. It should have been a couple clicks and done, but WF made it impossible..

Buying something online is supposed to be an easy experience, not a series of negotiations and detours imposed by your bank, screw WF. Sale is over now, and my only option is to pay significantly more with cash now in overpriced retail store after I’ve already begun my classes, when it is hopefully close to that affordable again.. But who even shops for deals online these days anyways, right? Thanks WF for the help, I hope everyone there gets the flu. Laptop I need is back up to original cost again (which now I cannot afford) and worst part is I can't even get lesser alternative because I need it to be capable of 3D design and editing and now the semester is coming up and I’m stuck with a pen and paper in hand like it’s the 1950’s.

With WF’s stupid new fascist limits so low, I can't get anything over a 2GB ram running piece of junk working on a phone processor which wouldn’t even load the welcome screen to the 3D design software I need to run for my engineering courses. Even if I do find it in store it would take me several days to purchase because of the daily limitations on how much I can withdraw, how convenient! I guess WF has decided I don’t have a right to buy nice things. Do I gotta do my shopping at the Dollar Store or on layaway (if that is still a thing) for the rest of my life? Maybe I should just buy a cheap calculator instead and change my degree to accounting? I don’t appreciate my bank stepping in and making decisions about my life for me and mucking up my chance of a future. It looks like I'll be the only one in class taking notes by hand this fall.

Thanks WF for making horrible experience return to haunt me, limiting my quality of life, and crapping on my of a hope decent college education. This isn't first time WF tripped me up financially, but it will be the last. Those greedy pigs probably spend more on one dinner than I am apparently entitled to spend on something I will use for my entire college career and it’s not because I haven’t already given them more than that, I have plenty in my account. It’s because they wouldn’t miss a trip to the trough and holding up their end of the deal as an honest banker might hinder this.

So am I just supposed to keep starving while I wait for them to lift this imaginary ban on my own funds while they suck the meat off the bones of their constant 5 star accommodations. Disgusting greedy pigs have us far more fooled than we could possibly imagine. How do they have us begging for the same thing that we give them voluntarily everyday in exchange for nothing. Must be nice, “Give me your money and maybe I’ll give it back.” Pretty sweet gig.. Like to see how they take it if someone tried this with them.

How have we let a few weak men take over all control of the exchange of goods in this world, it’s shameful how we hand over our only bartering power so readily and live at the mercy of these freaks. Bankers claim to protect your money, yet all they do is put it in their pocket and take advantage of your financial illiteracy and add fees and charges to the money you borrowed them, and WF is one of the worst perpetrators of this misuse of power. If you bank with WF, you need to fix that mistake before you waste time and money by getting scammed too. It’s a “suckers” bank and if you haven’t shot yourself in the foot using that bank yet, just give it some time.

And if you don’t bank with them at all, congratulations you aren’t a sucker and probably have a much higher IQ than the majority of the people standing in line at that bank. You can just feel a lack of intelligence when entering that institution, I can’t believe I was foolish enough to bank with them. It’s your money, take it back, keep it, invest it for profit like they did when you loaned it to them, or at least put it in another bank or credit union that is fair.

The whole reason my credit was damaged in the first place was due to a clerical error with Veteran Affairs billing (they’re about as good at ** their clientele as WF) and I'm stuck doing everything I can to pay it off out of pocket, and am close, but having my own banking institution come after me for it too and cripple my finances makes it very difficult to get ahead and fix this mistake. WTF WF? I wish someone would tell them they aren't entitled to anything over several hundred dollars and see how they would take it. Their only job is supposed to be to hold my money, then give it back when I request it. When you don't give it back, it's called stealing where I'm from..

Unfortunately if you do some digging you will quickly find this is nothing compared to other scams they’ve ran on their customers, but is enough for me to be done with them. I gave it a try, but WF is still up to it’s same old shadow games and shady business practices while continuing to fail to provide proper basic banking services. I’m never banking with these greedy money bogarting scammers again. Zero stars, -negative stars, #NOWAY, horrible experience! Should have listened to others when I was warned of this horrible institution and I studied their horrific past record of fraud, but I had to learn the hard way because I was drawn in with their new fancy building and over luxurious lobby. That should have been an immediate red flag of where the money I was “storing” was really going. Worst bank branch ever and they can't put enough fancy art (you and I paid for) in the lobby to make up for that!

Don’t get caught up with their overly glamorous, ** corporate marketing and overlook the fact they are the worst bank to put your money in. You don’t have to learn the hard way like I did, just find somewhere better to bank that is fair and won’t rip you off. If your time and money are not important to you go ahead and enjoy the small fancy disposable cup of WF coffee and overpriced vinyl seating, but if that is the reason you are banking with them (and it’s really the only reason to bank with them) than trust me when I say it’s not worth it. Besides I’m sure the coffee down at the credit union is just fine and comes with much better rates.

I'm not the first to get poor treatment with WF, and unfortunately I won't be the last. I have no motivation, financial or otherwise, to sully this company and was a proud (idiotic) customer until just recently when I started paying closer attention to how they do business and handle my money. I will be closing my account first thing tomorrow morning and be bringing the largest over-sized coffee mug I can find to drain both their stupid pots of coffee because ** them. This was just my personal experience with Wells Fargo and it could have been much worse as it has been with others using WF, but thought I'd share my experience so others don't have to find out hard way too, that this bank is crap, even on a good day. And for that reason, I’m out!

Original review: July 2, 2019

I opened my Wells Fargo secured account about a year ago. Before I opened it they told me that eventually they will upgrade my account to an unsecured. I pay my bills promptly, I have a very good credit score.. I never got an upgrade... This is pure fraud!!! A few weeks ago I made a dispute on a charge that I gave no permission to do, and part of the Wells Fargo agreement is that any charge that was made without any permission from the cardholder, you are not responsible for it. Bottom line the dispute was not approved. This bank sucks!!!!

Original review: July 2, 2019

I hate this bank sooo much...poor customer service and NEVER can help properly. Always a issue. And it makes me sick. Can't wait to get another bank account. I swear I hate this bank. Will never recommend to ANYONE.

Original review: July 2, 2019

In the interest of brevity I will leave out the many, many conversations and e-mails I exchanged with my bank of 15 years about this very simple, and now enraging, problem. I have a personal checking account and a business account with Wells Fargo. The average balance in these two zero-interest accounts hovers around $80-90K. Suddenly four months ago Wells Fargo started charging $14 /mo service fee on the business account. When I asked why (Cheryl ** @ WF) I was told that the balances of the two accounts are not considered jointly when determining monthly fee waivers. At that time the personal checking account had a $85K balance but the business account was down to $5K so the service fees were properly applied. I informed Wells Fargo that I was unaware of that rule, that I did not feel like Wells Fargo would be able to meet my needs so I would be transferring my business to another bank.

Wells Fargo (Chris ** @ WF) responded by inexplicably refunding 50% of the prior two monthly fees and encouraging me to stay with the bank. I thanked Wells Fargo but advised that I wanted them to take back the refunded fees because I now understood that they had, in fact, been properly applied. Wells Fargo (Caroline ** @ WF) advised that it was possible to charge any fee they wanted to but not possible to take back an improper refund. One imagines that this cannot possibly be true but I have no data to refute Caroline's observation.

While these communications were playing out another $14 fee was charged in the normal schedule. Then Wells Fargo elevated my "complaint" to another person (Monique ** @ WF) who politely and promptly refunded another monthly service fee when my problem, at that point, was simply trying to figure out how to 1.) Exit my relationship with Wells Fargo, 2.) Return to Wells Fargo the $35 in unsolicited refunds the bank had processed and 3.) Stop the insanity of charging a monthly service fee for an account that has 2-5 small deposits a month by moving to a less carnivorous bank. A quick market survey of local banks found no one that would charge an account fee on the $85K no interest account total so my options locally appear to be unconstrained.

Perhaps Wells Fargo should consider that at a rate equivalent to their one year CD, the bank earns about $142.67 a month on my no interest deposit and yet they are powerless to match the market by deferring fees of $14 /mo in order to gain that $143.67. In any case, it is their business and they may run it as they wish. In fact, the difficulties this bank has had since September 2016 suggest that they are embracing that freedom with glee. Perhaps the disappearance of ~$60B in Wells Fargo market cap in the last year is easier to understand in light of this story of incompetence and laughable problem-solving skills. I strongly urge people shopping for basic banking services to consider other suppliers of those services. In fact, I think any bank, anywhere would be better than this very broken company.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I have a student loan that my father co-signed years ago. It’s been in repayment with automatic drafts set up for years. My father, unfortunately, declared bankruptcy in February which stopped the payments. But I didn’t realize this happened because, as I’ve been told, Wells Fargo cannot legally contact me regarding the bankruptcy (even though it wasn’t my bankruptcy). And it was not on my radar to even consider that my loan might be affected because my father’s lawyer told him it would not be affected. The bankruptcy finally got resolved a week or two ago and I got a call from collections saying I’m hundreds of dollars behind and about to go into default. But this is all news to me as I’ve been on auto draft and don’t even worry about my repayment.

I am understandably frustrated and start trying to work with different representatives on the phone to resolve the situation. But I’m not getting much help. Everyone just hides behind the fact that legally, Wells Fargo did nothing wrong. But I’m just asking for a little compassion, a little mercy. I technically have the money to get my payments caught up but it’s been set aside for getting a new (used) car that we desperately need. So I’m just asking if we can reset the payments back to current (adding what I owe back to the outstanding balance) so I can get back to my normal monthly payments. But no, can’t (won’t) do that.

So then I take from our car fund to pay back what’s owed. Not happy about it at all but whatever. But I ask the agent if there’s any help they can offer regarding the fact that my credit took a big hit because of this which also hurts the car shopping process (because we will still have to finance some of it). I’ve also been slapped with some late fees. Now that I’ve paid to get the loan caught up, I’m again simply asking for some compassion for a near 15 year customer who didn’t (knowingly) do anything wrong. But no, Wells Fargo can’t (won’t) help me there either. So I’m done with you guys. I’ll of course keep paying the loan. But I have zero interest in being associated with an organization with so little willingness to help a customer in need. So you will get my loan payments going forward but that’s it.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I’m a teacher who opted to get a lump sum pay for Summer instead of Bi-weekly. The funds entered my checking acct on May 1. I planned on using a portion for down payment on a house. However, in the middle of June I received a frightening email. Zero balance from WF. I called the bank and spoke to executive. She advised me, "Poor spending. Please budget yourself." I explained to her that’s not true. WF system has a glitch. It’s doubling from my bank card. Also, I told her that’s the problem with WF employees. They have too much self-pride in their jobs and system whereas my being your customer doesn’t matter to you. She spoke with more senses or empathy towards me.

I told WF to put my money into my acct. That’s all my savings until school begins in August. It took them two days to return small credits but larger credits I was advised it will post over one month. WF is prompt and quick to blame customers for the company’s poor business practices. I have had WF for over 18 years and still can’t save a dime for missing money. By now I should be a millionaire. I hate WF. Not a trustworthy bank. This bank will have you believing that all is well with your money but after a few or several transactions you start to realize that your earnings are too far gone into a glitchy system. I’m done with WF. This bank sucks, please shut down. I want my money returned to my acct ASAP.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I was transferred to many different departments trying to get a fraud alert added to my account after I received an official email from Wells Fargo that said they changed my mortgage number. I spent hours on the phone and was given to deleted phone numbers. People said they didn't understand my complaint and sent me to another agent including a debit card agent. Email preferences changed. My bill pay set-up completely deleted including payments due in on Monday. These customer service agents are vicious.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Spoke on the phone with a representative after receiving a pop up instructing me to call to verify the account to be able to send payments again. All I got was an argumentative man who was fact-checking my statements and questioning me. And all he ended up saying he could do for me is file a claim which required 5-7 days to process, otherwise I'd have to visit a branch/ATM in person. Was rude in that he was yelling and speaking over me when I tried to explain that I did not in fact change ANY of my contact info (which was his reasoning explaining why my account wasn't letting me process transfers). The website & Zelle just said that I just need to quickly verify by calling the number and it turns out that once you call, they can't even help you -- you need to go to a location in person! Terrible service with complete and utter disregard for you as a customer.

Original review: June 27, 2019

My wife and I recently divorced. We went together to WF bank to close our checking and savings account. We were told that it wasn't necessary for both of us to come in to close the accounts, only one person was needed. This for a joint account mind you. Next, as part of the divorce decree, I was to take over the WF Visa account. I called to have my wife taken off the account, but was told since it was a joint account I could not do that. I spent quite a lot of time being passed up the line until I reached the corporate business office. Following their review, they stuck by their guns and said they could not take my wife off the account.

When I asked them to explain the logic behind how my wife or I could close a joint bank account at any time without the other's knowledge, but they would not take one of us off the Visa as part of a divorce decree. The woman's answer was that the outstanding balance on the card posed a financial risk to WF and therefore they would not take my wife off. And this despite that my wife currently is getting most of her income from me through alimony. And now she is bound to whatever I end up doing with the Visa account, even if I don't pay on it. Wells Fargo is not about the stagecoach, they are all about the shotgun.

Original review: June 26, 2019

All the higher-ups know my and my wife's full names and greet us. I always get on Shannon ** line. She is an elite teller in this banking system. I wish I could say that about the other branches, the one on Amelia Island is a modern-day haunted-house for customer service.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Wells Fargo year of trying to improve your customer services, every time I have to deal with you, I have problems. You are a bank. You are FDIC insured and you are working with people's money, mortgages, and car payments. You really have to get policies in place to create consistent systems. Why does it take you 5-day to process online bill payments? Other institutions do not have the same problems. Please get it together.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I really hope this gets to where it needs to be because I am certainly not letting what and how WELLS FARGO did my daughter. My name is Kimberly ** and my daughter Krystal ** has been banking with Wells Fargo for about 4 or 5 years now! My daughter had an apartment fire on May 29th and her and her family (husband and kids) lost everything and I mean everything! Even though this is no business to anyone I as her mother had put my name in the apartment where her and her family resided which in turn means that any insurance such as renters insurance would have to be in my name only because this policy wasn’t no add on usually how you do with car insurance etc. No. This policy was added on to the lease under Assurant of course in my name due to the fact as I stated before because my name was on the apartment!

So of course a claim was submitted and an adjuster was assigned to me from Assurant Kevin **! Before any payments were issued I assured Kevin that the money can go into my daughter's account and he said ok as long as the bank accepts it! Fine. Now prior to yesterday which was Friday June 21st there were 3 separate deposits that went to the account. All 3,000 or less. Everything was fine. Money cleared! Then shortly after 2 deposits the same day went on for over 4,000 each! That same day my family was going on a family vacation that needed to be finished paid for along with spending money! No this is no business to Wells Fargo but since they took my daughter through a bunch of bull ** I am speaking out! This is insane as my daughter is crying while we are away!

It took for her and her husband to go to the Glen branch on Ritchie highway all to get profiled while trying to withdraw $7500 from the teller as there was over 10,000 in her account because of the fire insurance claim. Again no business to Wells Fargo or the Glen Burnie branch employees! We all were pressed for time that day not knowing it would take damn near an hour for this process to only be told it need to be verified to make sure the deposit were legit! Meanwhile again there were several deposits before all in my name as her mother and those deposits were just fine. Also I have used my daughter's account a bunch of times to pay my credit card bills and that’s ok too but since my daughter wants to withdraw her own money no matter the circumstances of 7500 it’s an issue!

My daughter calls me from the bank upset so I told her to leave and we just have to deal with it another time as we had to go to only get a call from Wells Fargo saying they have made a business decision to close her account and I know for a fact that the manager at the Glen Burnie office I believe her name is Zakiyayah ** more than likely called loss prevention to report a bogus ** fraud when that money is very well legit and only belongs to my daughter! Wells Fargo closed her account and retracted the funds back to the bank whom Assurant uses! Not only is it a big ** inconvenience but they are dead wrong for profiling and being bias to my daughter. She is 30 years old with a family and obviously needs her money especially since she just lost everything! The fact that she has to wait until Monday to contact Assurant for them to reissue the money is ridiculous and unfair as a Wells Fargo customer!

I will take this issue so damn far Wells Fargo will regret for taking my daughter through this! I will be calling the news reporters on Monday morning! I know that my daughter can very well get her money back but the fact that her own bank is making it seem that she is doing fraud on her account doesn’t make any sense! I personally will never deal with Wells Fargo as one of the reasons why I no longer bank with them anyway! I hate them and it pisses me off that my child is being taking through this for no reason whatsoever! I believe if my daughter never went to that Glen Burnie Branch to withdraw a significant amount of her own damn money this would not be happening! I want Wells Fargo to know that they ** with the wrong daughter and believe me when I say Wells Fargo will not hear the end and I will be giving them a bad name! Trust me.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I am a small business owner. Money was missing from my business account so I called Wells Fargo to see where is my money and why is my money missing. Spoke to a manager and was told there is a process that usually takes up to 5 days to receive any info about the missing money, so I asked the banks manager, "Could wells fargo credit the missing money until you guys figure out what's going on." Manager said, "No we cannot due to if we could credit everyone when something goes wrong we wouldn't be a functional institution." and she hung up the phone on me with no return call back. No Love for small business so there's gotta be a better financial institution out here somewhere. I've been with wells fargo going on 10 yrs now. Cannot support my business for the next few days until wells fargo gives me my money back. I'm done wells fargo. Goodbye.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I always check my account before I make a purchase so I do not overdraft. When I checked it yesterday I had enough to cover that included what was in my savings account. I checked this morning to see if my balance was ok, and they charged me an overdraft fee of 12.50 plus and state tax because I did not transfer from my savings account to cover the purchase. Not understanding that at all because all the money was there to cover. I made sure do that. Now I am seeing how they get their money. They have screwed up my account and they will be charging me another overdraft fee for something that was originally covered. When I called Customer service they said they cannot help me because it was my fault. I am really sick of using this bank. They think people can afford to keep paying their fees and it’s ok to make the charges. Does anyone know a better bank? I need to get out soon....

Wells Fargo expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.

• Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.

• Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.

• Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.

• Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.

• Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.

• Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.

• Best for: Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg