1.50/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2561 Wells Fargo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I've been stupid enough to have been banking with Wells Fargo for about 40 years. Today I went to my rewards account to pick up a gift card for a gift. After having difficulty signing on, the site told me I had to update my browser before I could access my account. I did it FOUR times and each time I went back, nothing had updated and it told me for the FOURTH TIME I had to update my browser. This from a company who when you deposit five thousand dollars says you can use 400 dollars within the first twenty four hours but not the rest for two days. Chase doesn't do that. Bank of America doesn't do that. And they have service charges for absolutely everything. I'm going to leave Wells after all this time. Their consumer rating is one and one half stars out of ten. You shouldn't bank here either.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I recently viewed a very good friend of mine attempt to deposit cash into an account of an elderly person she works for. The elderly person was unable to go to the bank personally due to a recent surgery. The teller informed my friend that the bank could not accept the cash. The only for someone not on the account to deposit anything was with a check or money in the amount they wished to deposit to her account. Or the elderly lady had to deposit the cash personally. My friend was informed that this was new Wells Fargo policy. If that is now the case, then my husband or daughter can no longer run to the bank and put cash into my account for me if I am unable to. Without exception, I can see where this poses an immense burden on elderly who cannot always do their personal banking.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

After talking to 25 different Wells Fargo employees and no one had the same answer. I have had the displeasure of working with Kevin ** (Regional Manager) and Ivon ** (Kevin's boss). These 2 managers could not possibly know less about company's processes and procedures. After contacting them in hopes of a resolution they ended up saying they don't know the procedures and would find out. It's been over 2 weeks and I have heard nothing back. This company is terrible.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Every time you call Wells Fargo there always two answers. The Bankers are not knowledgeable oversea when answering phone calls. But if you can reach an American you will get the correct answers. I would Not recommend them!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I opened an account with Wells Fargo for our organization in 2016. The banker who handled that told me it was not advisable to deposit a huge amount on the go. He then told me to deposit a small amount and leave the rest with him to be deposited at a later day. I told him the funds were donations from fundraising in churches from individual members. Still he said I needed to put deposit a small amount. I did so. But to date its never been deposited. Wrote to Wells Fargo but no courtesy to respond on such a serious matter. I value and trust all Wells Fargo employees. But one employee is too many. I momore outside country. It's bad. Terrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I'm on Wells Fargo's checking/savings plan where every time my checking is debited for an online payment, a dollar goes from checking to savings and this waives the monthly fee. On 1/11/2019, out of the blue, Wells Fargo charged me $5. Now that I think of it, I need to go back through old statements (I rarely look at the savings account) to see if I've been screwed prior to this. Is there an honest local bank in the Houston area???

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Accounts had a hold on them in error. For almost 3 months have tried to access my accounts. Every excuse from paralegal made a mistake, accounts have been released, accounts available, funds removed, funds available since October 27th. Spoke to their legal department numerous times, lies, promises, apologies and again cant access my personal funds. Have an attorney involved and more lies and promises. Run from dealing with Wells Fargo. Now they are costing me money.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

On the 01/07/19 I rented a car from Enterprise. Every time the gentleman would swipe my card the monies would come off my account the return while giving him a failure error. After 3 to 4 tries I decided to call Wells Fargo, the customer service agent the reason that happened is because they thought it was fraud, she removed it, okay. The transaction finally went through and was posted right away. On my way to Tulsa every time I stop for gas I would check my balance. Around midnight my car rental along with 2 other transactions was not there anymore, weird right. If I don't have monies in my account my transactions would not go through, even if transactions are pending that amount would not be available.

Heading back home on 01/09/19 and my account is in the negative. Called Wells Fargo and no one can explain to me why or how only getting a "maybe this or maybe that". The third person I spoke with she claim she's from the executive of was very rude and sarcastic. She thought I couldn't read. Her way was whatever she explained should be enough even though it was not answering my question. When I told her that what's showing in my account now is different from on the 7th and 8th. She said why would I depend on online banking information. It is my responsibility to write down all of my transaction because online banking is not reliable. "Since when it was working well". So I'm here with no monies to go to work or to buy food for me and my son because my direct deposit from my job was sucked up and I'm still in the negative with no answers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

After banking with Wells for almost 10 years, I have had a plethora of issues with fraud, duplicate Bill Pay charges, and poor communication from the bank. The final straw was just today, when they closed my debit card for "misuse" because I had filed my third dispute in the past 3 months for charges made to my account by the bill payment services. I went into the branch as nobody told me the card was shut off after trying to buy gas and the transaction being declined. The customer service team on the phone stated they could not help me but I also had to go to the branch.

The bank branch CSR looked into my account and stated that she did not see any signs of misuse, however, their policy was to not issue a card for 12 months after the account was marked. She called the Fraud department and they advised nothing could be done. So now, I have NO debit card or ATM card and would have to go to a branch to access my money manually. No way, I am off to a better banking experience. After all the fraud issues personally, and the ones in the news, I think it is best to part ways.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

This afternoon I went to the Wells Fargo branch of Green Bay to do a wire transfer and the cashier said me to came back tomorrow because there was no ones banker on site. Two years ago I moved my accounts to Wells Fargo because they promise me to be available every time during the working hours but today they didn't respect this. I pay 45 dollars for this "service." How this is possible, what kind of service is this?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

A difficult bank to work with when dealing with repayment options for your loans and credit cards. Customer service is a robot and tells me, after I pay them every single month with my low budget income, that it’s unacceptable and asks if I can borrow money from friends and family to pay off my account?! Even after their new commercial saying they want a new start it’s still as bad as it was and I cannot wait to get it paid off and move on and never work with them again. Highly recommend banking local and using a smaller branch because Wells Fargo knows how to put you in a tough position and won’t work with you at all and is sometimes just downright rude.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have paid these people on a consistent basis via online bill pay as a recurring payment, yet they reported me as late for the past 3 months, causing my credit to tank over 40+ points! Despite knowing the error. I have reached out to them a total of 4 times over the last 3 months, which they acknowledged the error and promised to fix it, yet they reported me as late to the credit bureaus? Are they purposely trying to ruin my credit? I'm in the middle of home purchase and this has stopped all progress due to their negligent or at this point, possible deliberate inaccurate reporting.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Deposited 500 into ATM and got a receipt for 400. It took the act of Congress to get my other 100 back. We have to do this and that, blah, blah, blah. Today I deposited a 125.00 check, verified check amount and was given a receipt for 1.25. Yep one dollar and 25 cents. Went back to the same branch Monday to correct the problem and get this - Wells Fargo says that, "Our ATMs are owned by a separate entity. Fill out this and that blah, blah, blah." No temporary credit is given and they said this will take 10 business days to correct. So basically when you deposit money into a Wells Fargo bank ATM, your money is owned by someone else until they credit your account. When signing up I didn't hear Wells Fargo say... "Thanks for banking with us, and by the way - we don't own our own ATM machines."

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I was having trouble integrating Quickbooks with Wells Fargo. I got a technician on the phone in 20 seconds and he talked me through the setup process so well. Awesome fast service. Great bank. Worth doing business with.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

This bank didn’t inform me of an old bank account I had with them. They let me open a new account without informing me of my old account and one night they took out every penny I had to my name. I tried to call and explain to them but no one was trying to hear me. Some of the bankers were rude to me. So therefore I will not be banking with them anymore again period.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have dealt with my fair share of businesses and I can't even remotely explain how dishonest and unethical that Wells Fargo is. I am a small business owner and have never missed a payment with Wells Fargo. I used an interest free card for furniture. I always paid 3x the monthly payment to pay off the entire payment so I was interest free. When I only had 3 payments left I reduced the automatic payment. I couldn't get through to them via phone, so I reached out via email. After no one called me back, I called only to receive an automated message again. I saw they charged me the full amount so when I called to complain and to have it addressed they incorrectly stopped my automatic payments altogether.

The remaining balance was under $400 total (compared to the $5,000 originally). After a payment never went through as they shut automatic payments off, I received a call one day after it was due (so day 31). I was shocked and immediately took care of the bill while on the phone. I was not sure what happened but was in the middle of work so didn't want to question it too much. A few days later I am meeting with my controller at my company and they advise me that my credit score went down 68 points. We're in the process of obtaining an SBA loan for our company and my credit score, along with the company financials are the most important aspects.

I immediately spoke to the company to question why this happened. They explained because I missed a payment. I explained the situation, they stated they needed to raise it to management and their "legal team". I had to call back after not receiving a call back. Finally speaking to someone regarding the matter they stated it was my fault for not paying. I asked why they didn't reach out via email, phone or letter ahead of time and they stated that legally they don't need to. They told me they do send statements and it's my job to pay my bills. I asked them to verify the address and they had the wrong address on file. I asked how it is my fault that they had the wrong address. They asked "How can they know the proper address". I responded that one of their verification questions, that is asked almost every call is to confirm my address, which I do correctly EVERY TIME. They stated that they would look into it and I responded... “No need that every call on my phone is recorded.” They stated that they do not allow us to record and hung up on me.

Understanding how they report on credit I called back 30 days later as they never reported my payment made back. I spoke to 4 different departments all stating that they have NO IDEA when they will report on my credit, that "it just happens". It's been 70 days since I made my payment and they still haven't reported it as a payment made with any credit bureau. Our company needs a loan to grow. Had I been in a worst situation, our company could have required this loan to feed all of my employees. I write this long winded complaint for no reason other than to hope organizations like Wells Fargo and their unethical, poor business practices are stopped one day.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Wanted to pay down my escrow so my mortgage would stay the same. Sent the agreement with the check. They cashed the check lost the letter. Resent the next letter. They then reversed my December payment but not to my bank...their acct. Then listed me as late. Finally after numerous calls and emails they finally fixed it. Then I get an email lecturing me on how payments get posted a day or two after I submit it. Are you kidding me. It had nothing to do with me. I make my payments early. Truly horrible customer service. Run from this bank if you can.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I was trying to pay for a car loan and I couldn't make the payment. I couldn't pay online because I didn't know my login info so I tried calling customer service and I called twice and both times the automated system was like "due to high call volumes you might have to wait up to 3 minutes!" So that's no big deal but it turned to 20 minutes! And I was like "ummmmmm do they want their money or not." So I tried again and again and every time I thought I should just wait a little longer and each time NOTHING and NO ONE to answer.

As a desperate measure I called their banking services and they picked up and I told them about my experience and they just told me to wait as they try and find a solution and in the middle of my waiting the ** hung up! Now I don't care too much if they seemingly don't want my money but since this could affect my credit and the amount of time I wasted in trying to reach them really actually pisses me off. It is unbelievable how many bad reviews that exists! How have they not gotten sued yet?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have had my card locked for failing to file a travel plan but, when I checked in on my account in mid December I found 29 unauthorized charges to my account for over $2000. Multiple calls and all I was told is 1-10 10 days and oh btw so sorry. They said I would be receiving a "detailed" letter explaining everything. The letter took 10 days to receive and explained nothing, gave no apologies for any inconvenience. They did however state that as a courtesy they were going to give me a provisional Credit but did not explain how they arrived at the amount in the first place. Managers were rude and condescending throughout the entire process.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

On Christmas Eve Wells Fargo Deceased Customer Account Dept. contacted me regarding my Mother's account. The lady started with her condolences as my Mother had recently passed and when right into asking for my Probate Attorney's contact info. As a side note they have my Attorney's info as he has filed all the paperwork required by the Probate Court and contacted Wells Fargo specifically due to the fact that she has multiple accounts with them.

Needless to say that I was trying my best to make it through my first Christmas after the sudden and tragic death of my Mother. I advised the Wells Fargo Representative that it was pretty bad that she would call me on Christmas Eve after the recent death of my Mother to try and discuss this account knowing that I am not financially responsible to even pay it, shame on them. I am appalled and disgusted with the service of Wells Fargo. It felt personal and harassing for them to contact me on Christmas Eve and open that level of hurt, grief, and sadness. What was accomplished by them calling me... nothing but pain and anguish for me.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

On 12/21/18 I had sufficient funds to cover two debits. One was $16.00 and the other was $20.00. These came thru on the 12/24/18. On 12/26/18 I had a larger debit transaction come in, however, because of the holiday, I knew that I would be charged $35.00 with my overdraft protection to cover it. However, Wells Fargo decides to run the larger debit through first, then run the two smaller ones through so they can say that I did not have enough in my account and charge me three $35.00 overdraft fees totaling $105.00. I live off of Social Security Disability, and can barely get by each month. This institution Wells Fargo are CROOKS, and there should be laws that stop this kind of abuse against honest consumers. When are we as consumers going to say enough is enough and fight back against crooked companies such as Wells Fargo. I am sick of being taking advantage of by crooked corporations.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I have been making overpayment amounts for my auto loan. I asked for anything over the normal amount to go towards the principal balance. Instead, they took the payments and said they added it to interest and then raised my principal balance almost 300.00. Office of the President says they don't know why it was done that way and apologized for it but at the same time, they refuse to correct it. I have gotten a different story from everyone I have talked to. But basically they will do whatever they want with the money you send them to keep the balance and interest rate up. They do not comply with a customer's request whatsoever.

I am so disgusted over the customer service I have received after years of paying my auto loan on time every month. This company is just out to serve themselves and after paying over the amount, I have nothing to show for it. I always thought Wells Fargo was a decent upstanding company but I was so wrong and I will never have any future dealings with this underhanded company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Beware of Wells Fargo. I paid double payments for two years straight and my car that was totaled by a driver while I was in my house sleeping. I Always made extra payments and my car was due to be paid off in 5 years. However l made twice the payments to get car paid off in 3 years. My insurance company issued me a total loss agreement which will help pay towards my car I owe on. Wells Fargo stated that they wanted the full amount I owe on the car. What about the 15000 dollars already paid towards my car that's now totaled? Wells Fargo took the 4000 dollars I still owe on vehicle and left me the customer with 800 dollars and no car.

I paid my payments double every month and Wells Fargo has taken 15000 from me through payments and 4000 from my insurance company for a total of 19000 dollars. If you bank with Wells Fargo please be careful and don't get a auto loan with them. Remember my car was totaled by another driver while I was in my home sleep but Wells Fargo Bank said, "Screw you and your car. We want full amount even though you made double payments every month."

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I have been banking with Wells Fargo now for 10 years but this month really pissed me off! I was with them when they were Wachovia Bank. Within less than two weeks I had not 1 or 2 but 3 fraudulent charges on my account. My husband and I even closed one account and opened a new but now the third one still happened in the new account so we are both just over it and we have closed our account. How in the world did they claim to put more security on our account but this still happens in a new account as well.

We are taking our business somewhere else because this has delayed 2 of my husband's checks for the matter of headaches they put us through. I don't have the time or the energy to go through this with them. On top of that it is like they make the customer suffer for something that is not our fault. On top of that it was a check fraud and we have NEVER had checks at all for any account. They also told me that I couldn't close my account as of yet when I went to the bank because of this charge. What do you mean and it's not even our fault that these charges happened on their watch. I would suggest any bank but them from here on out. DO NOT do business with this bank because they make the customer suffer and from my understanding being in the customer service field for almost 18 years the customer or guest is always supposed to be right.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Wells Fargo provides you with information that sounds the loan process and loan repayment and refinancing is piece of cake and they promise you things and then they make mistakes like forget to subtract a "0" from your loan and then they give you 2 loans at a time when it's the only option to agree with them. Again they promise to consolidate the two loans for you and give you no or wrong information about the process. But of course, now when the time comes, you need new application and checks and all their promises are nowhere to be fulfilled! It's just a company with no accountability and full of errors and misinformation!!! Go use Discover or any other bank as my friends never had these kind of problems.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

On 6/27/2016, my husband deposited some cash and one check to the branch counter at 145 Thomas Gangemi Dr, Jersey City, NJ. The counter staff saved $100 short for him. On 2017, I deposit some cash and one check at the same branch counter, and the staff deposit $100 short at my account. I found it and show her, she claimed she made a mistake and corrected it. Dec 4th 2018, my husband went to another branch at 101 HUDSON St, Jersey City, NJ to withdraw some cash but the counter girl gave him $100 short in the envelope. It make us know that counter staff are not qualified because they either do it on purpose or un-carefully to steal $100 from us each time. We can't trust Wells Fargo counter staff anymore.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

It's Christmas season & Wells Fargo cancelled my credit card because someone fraudulently used my card. This is understandable but failing to send out replacement card as twice promised during Holiday season is poor customer service. In talking with Wells Fargo it is obvious they consider a consumer as one of millions and follow-up is not important.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I had a Wells Fargo checking account and my teenage son wanted to open one as well. I had to sign as his guardian in order for him to open the account. I entered several fraud claims on my checking account for items I paid for but did not receive. After submitting the claims Wells Fargo granted me a provisional credit and then decided to close my account. My son's teen account was not closed however, Wells Fargo is now reversing the provisional credit entered in my account from my son's account. I never signed for his account to be used as a overdraft protection account. Wells Fargo cannot simply debit one account for something that occurred in another. They must send me a statement for the closed account and hold me responsible for what happened in my account. Not my son. They are debiting credits from him for transactions that never occurred in his account.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have BOA and Wells Fargo. BOA is for personal, and Wells Fargo for business. For my experience, BOA provides way better smartphone app and online website service. Wells Fargo webpages always showing errors. To order checks, request copies of checks, and sorting my transactions on date-order -- these 3 errors that I experienced for past few weeks.

Also, it is 2018-12-14 12 PM ET, and ordering checks is still not possible. I'm seeing the "This feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." message for 3 weeks so far. I made a phone call to order checks. They have message feature, which I can send message to customer service representative. You don't have to use that feature. Just call the customer service. They do not have any access for anything. I have asked 3 messages, and all of the answers were 'please visit one of the branch offices,' or 'call the customer service.' I have no idea why did they make this feature. Moreover, you have to wait at least few hours or 24 hours to get the answer for the online messaging system--which is 'call customer service.' Wasting time.

I am really wondering what kind of IT techs do they hire or what are they doing. I tried to look up my transactions on November. I clicked the search button, and set date range from Nov. 1st to Nov. 30th. It shows the November transactions, but it is backward (showing 30th to 1st). So I clicked 'date' button to swap the order, and it shows error. Are you serious? Even if they have updated their online website maybe a year ago or so, Wells Fargo still has really really low-quality for online services.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have been banking with Wells Fargo for over 15 years both personally and professionally. I have definitely had some issues with this bank over the years but this last one takes the cake. I was convinced to try using their payroll service OptRight back in May 2018. I have been using the same CPA to do my payroll for 8 years with never any issue. So I am kicking myself for ever making the switch in the first place. With the promise of easy and accuracy from WF I decided to give them a try. One of the worst mistakes I have made.

Long story short WF did not enter some of the info I had given them correctly and in the 7 months I used them my employees time off accruals were never correct. They also did not file one of my tax payments so after receiving a notice from the IRS I ended up paying over $700 in fines and late fees. WF claimed no responsibility for this stating that it was my responsibility to make sure my taxes were being paid. I never once had that happen before I moved over to WF payroll. After me trying to come to a resolution with WF they had decided not to claim any responsibility so I will no longer be doing business with them. I will close all 8 accounts and take my business elsewhere. I would NEVER recommend them.

Wells Fargo expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.

• Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.

• Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.

• Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.

• Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.

• Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.

• Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.

• Best for: Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg