Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.35/5
Based on 1,028 ratings submitted in the last year

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

BOTTOM LINE

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

PROS

• Free online banking and mobile app
  • Free money transfers
  • Large selection of financial products

CONS

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Top Wells Fargo Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Wells has always been responsive to questions and issues, both online and through my local bank. Their fraud department is first rate. When my credit card was compromised, they responded immediately with a new card and did not hold me liable for any of the charges.

… Most people only take the time to write bad reviews but I wanted to take the time to say he was very friendly and helpful and I will definitely be sending others into this branch ...

What is Wells Fargo Bank?

Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage services as well as commercial and consumer financing at 7,600 locations in 32 countries and territories around the globe. Wells Fargo mobile banking gives customers the ability to link their checking, savings, credit card and investment accounts all in one place. Customers can also deposit checks from their phones with the Wells Fargo app.

Wells Fargo financial services

Wells Fargo offers multiple products and services, including checking, savings accounts, credit cards and loans.

Wells Fargo checking accounts
    Wells Fargo has five different options for personal checking accounts — Everyday, Preferred, Portfolio, Teen and Opportunity. Businesses can select from Simple, Choice Platinum and Analyzed checking accounts. Most personal and business checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.
    Wells Fargo savings accounts and CDs
    Wells Fargo offers two savings account options, Way2Save and Platinum Savings. Wells Fargo also offers CDs, which require at least a $2,500 minimum opening deposit. CDs are available at fixed rates and step rates.
    Wells Fargo loans
    Wells Fargo offers multiple loan types, including student loans, auto loans and mortgage loans to help you buy, refinance or renovate a home. The bank offers low-APR personal loans and lines of credit ranging from $3,000 to $100,000. Wells Fargo also provides loans and lines of credit for businesses.
    Wells Fargo credit cards
    Wells Fargo has several credit card options. Almost all Wells Fargo cards have a cash back or reward program, and a few have no annual fee.
    Wells Fargo retirement services
    Wells Fargo offers traditional and Roth IRAs. You can also invest in mutual funds and manage your portfolio yourself or with the help of a Wells Fargo investment professional. The WellsTrade Mutual Fund Screened Listed makes investing simple by pre-screening mutual funds. Wells Fargo Advisors, a full-service brokerage, is available to customers to help with investment planning. You can also invest directly online and automate your investing through the Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor.
    Wells Fargo merchant services
    Wells Fargo makes running a business easy with payment processing that allows you to accept card payments onsite, online or wherever you might be. Mobile payments are available for Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Wells Fargo benefits for business owners also include Clover point-of-sale systems customized fit your business needs.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I wanted to give a big shout out to Ms. Mame ** -- Georgia Ave, SS Branch! Mame always goes above the call of duty when I ask for assistance. Recently, I was in to replace my debit card along with another issue. She never makes you feel rushed. She's very patient and explains things in detail. She constantly wiped down her area due to COVID. That's a big deal in today's world. Once the process was over, she was reassuring everything was going to go well. Though it was one of the busiest time of the year, Christmas. Surely enough, in seven days my issues were resolved. Last but not least she is so respectful and professional! I want her to know how much I appreciate her... so please share this with her.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

These guys are the best banking institution we have ever worked with. They protect your account fiercely and provide you the tools to manage your money wisely. Additionally they have removed fees throughout the years that many other institutions continue to charge. They have embraced modern security solutions such as the as yet cracked AES encryption methods on your bank transactions and easily forgive overdraft fees, especially when you put money into your account the within a day or so. Local branches have personal touches and staff that don't push you to do anything at all. They will however give you the options if you ask for them so you don't have to go looking for them.

Finally, I have never had a reason to mistrust them on my accounts. Many people have said demeaning things about them but from my experience it has always been from a decade or so ago and usually are third party accounts. Am I fan? You bet I am. I actively sought out a way to leave this review because I believe they are the best model of a modern banking institution that knows what is important for families and individuals.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I recently had to make a wire transfer for the closing on a home I purchased. I had to physically go into the bank and realized most of the locations were closed and I had to make an appointment in advance at a location that was open. I went to the Wells Fargo location in Anthem and the young lady was wonderful. It required a lot of identification verification and then she called the title company to verify the exact wire info. It went through perfect and was received by the title company within a few minutes. It was a very positive experience at a very difficult time with Covid and the closing of many bank locations.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I've been with Wells Fargo since it came to Atlanta. I like the service that I receive and it fits my needs. I have a 365 Amex with Wells Fargo and it pays fairly well in rewards to use it. Though this card has a relationship bonus that I think he changed over the years and is not a much of a benefit as it was when I first opened the card. I like it that the card shows up on online with my bank accounts. But I am considering switching for a bank that will pay a bonus for opening an account. I hate switching everything, but for the payout it will be worth it and other than my credit card, then bank is not really giving me any other benefit. But I've been a customer with them now for probably about 15 yrs, so overall I'm satisfied.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I like this bank, but last week I needed a statement showing how much I had in my account and my information to prove that the account was mine. The problem was that the statement I could get on the app was not updated and to get one up to date I would have to go to the branch in person. I could not print it at the ATM either. I complained to the manager and he said I could only get at the branch for my own safety, since it had my information on it, or he could mail it to me, but not e-mail it...But the thing is that I could get older ones with all my information through the app, so where is the point of my safety. I just wanted something very simple and they could not help me.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Paid off my mortgage in October. Still waiting for my deed. Payment was misapplied, put in a forbearance account. No record of my previous that was handle by NACA. My son was murdered and I was at a low point in my life. He lived 10mins from my home was approved for a HAMP Loan. Wells Fargo denied I was hit with another 30yr mortgage after 19yrs of payments so I decided to pay off my mortgage in full in October. Was given a pay off quote. Paid in full.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

When you have an issue that needs attention you get bounced from one dept to another. Common phrase: "Not my job. I"ll transfer you." Wait another 15 min for each bounce. The issue is not resolved even when going to your branch and NO follow up phone call or any contact from them. The left has no idea there is a right and/or what they're doing. Very inept customer service. One banker actually said, "We're too big to contact any customer so we don't call you back!" WoW! At least they were honest. Don't bother with this bank. You would think with the bad reputation for dishonesty they've been caught at one would think they would be doing a better job. Obviously Not! Be aware!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

After following all the guidelines and verification protocols requested by WF to make a remittance, they still cite (contrary to their message) that one must personally go to a branch to initiate the first remittance. As I am ambulatory and somewhat have a contagious situation, I have arranged for a medical transfer to the busiest branch in the Orlando area on 1 March 2021 at peak hours. I hope for the sake of all employees and customers they take extra precaution if banking that day. I will also inform the local media outlets to my presence so they can witness the archaic and burdensome requirements, contrary to their own policy. I have banked many years with WF, my account is in EXCELLENT standing, and I have done this remittance with my other beneficiary without a hitch.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

Wells Fargo is below par by a mile when it comes to supporting military members. I have been with Wells Fargo for about 4-5 years now. They do not provide everything when it comes to being in the military. International numbers, never answer. International agents, always mess up your information or never change it when you leave to a new area. I cannot stand asking for a family member to talk with my bank to fix things that they lack on completing. You can barely order things online oh and if you plan on travelling and let them know in advance they still lock your card down. Thanks Wells Fargo for letting me know what a poor quality bank is like.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I WOULD GIVE this BANK ZERO STARS IF I COULD, but I am unable to rate them without giving them at least 1 star. We purchased a car on 5/1/2020. The bank changed their internet banking in June 2020. Finally, as of 1/27/2021 we had someone with 1/2 a brain fix the glitch in the system. This is the Worst BANK in the world to deal with. We have given them every opportunity in the world to correct this problem, but today sent us over the edge with all the rude customer service we received as we were transferred from person to person to discuss this “BANK” issue. This “BANK” has been the most difficult bank to deal with, AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND FINDING a DIFFERENT BANK to do BUSINESS WITH. We are now in the process of refinancing our car loan with FSU credit union.

Wells Fargo fees

Wells Fargo’s monthly service fees for checking accounts range from $0 to $30, though service fees are waived for teenagers and college students between 17 to 24 years old. Monthly service fees for business checking accounts range from $10 to $40. The bank charges a $5 or $12 monthly fee on savings accounts. Wells Fargo's checking account fees can be avoided by maintaining a specific average balance or completing a minimum number of transactions each month. Also, expect fees for late credit card payments and overdraft charges unless your checking and savings accounts are linked.

Wells Fargo check cashing fee
      You only have to pay a Wells Fargo Bank fee to cash a check if you don’t have an account. The cost for nonmembers to cash a check at a Wells Fargo bank is $7.50.
      Wells Fargo transfer fee
      It costs $0 to transfer money between Wells Fargo accounts or for bank-to-bank transfer service.
      Wells Fargo overdraft fee
      Wells Fargo charges a $35 overdraft fee per item.
      Wells Fargo ATM fee
      ATM fees are $0 for Wells Fargo customers when they use a Wells Fargo ATM. Cash withdrawals at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are $2.50 each, and account balance inquiries are $2 each.
      Wells Fargo foreign transaction fee
      Wells Fargo’s foreign transaction fees reach up to 3% on some accounts. Outside of the U.S., ATM cash withdrawals are $5 each and ATM accounts transfers are $2 per transfer.
      Wells Fargo cash advance fee
      Wells Fargo’s cash advance fees are up to $12.50 per transaction. Credit advances vary based on the account.

Wells Fargo Bank FAQ

Does Wells Fargo have 24/7 customer service?
      Yes, Wells Fargo has 24/7 customer service available by phone and online.
      Is Wells Fargo a commercial bank?
      Yes, Wells Fargo provides commercial banking services and products for individuals and businesses.
      What states have Wells Fargo banks?
      Wells Fargo has locations throughout the U.S. in all states except Hawaii, Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massasschetts, Rhode Island and Maine.
      What are Wells Fargo’s dealer services?
      Wells Fargo’s dealer services provide indirect auto financing, commercial products and banking services to auto dealers.
      How old do you have to be to open a bank account at Wells Fargo?
      You can open a Wells Fargo account with a parent or guardian at 13 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to open an account on your own.

Is Wells Fargo a good bank?

Wells Fargo offers many options to handle your financial needs, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investments and loans. Compared to other banks, interest rates and fees are average. Overall, Wells Fargo’s products and services are robust and allow you the convenience to bank however and wherever you like.

Wells Fargo Company Information