Wells Fargo

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am on SSI and so are my sons. My youngest son had his SSI account with my name on it. They closed that account a year ago without notifying me or even asking me and there had been $20.00 in my account which just poofed. Last month, they removed over 400.00 from my account and won't tell me why or where it went. They have told me that they have every right to take my money and NOT tell me, as well as close my account, whether there is money in it or not. They have also told me that they have every right to DENY ME taking my own money out of my account!

They also have denied my Vehicle Insurance from my Auto Bill Pay. For 4 months they denied my ins. co. from taking money out and when they tried 4 times a month for 4 months, I was charged $35.00 PER try for 4 months putting me in the hole. When I asked them WHY they denied it their exact words were... "They are an unreliable and untrustworthy company." I told them it was FARMER INSURANCE and they were trustworthy. They never gave me back all the money they charged me for overdraft fees.

They have also denied my Truck company to take the payments out for my truck loan, as well as my Phone payments. Claiming that all those companies are "unreliable and untrustworthy". It's NO wonder they are in a multimillion dollar Lawsuit! I got something from one of the Attorneys that is helping to sue them. I gave them all the information they needed and I pray that I get a huge settlement from these assholes!

I visited a local Wells Fargo branch in St. Paul, MN. I asked for a $25 box of pennies. The teller graciously got the penny box and traded them for my cash. I am not a customer. I visit the same location one week later. The teller informs me they have to ask their supervisor. Apparently my request was granted. I wait 5 minutes, and the teller returns with the box of pennies. The manager informs me there is a noncustomer fee. I stated I was not charged a fee last time and will not pay a fee this time. The manager asked who I worked with. I stated I did not remember and asked for the pennies. The manager states, again, I have to pay a fee. I asked why a fee is charged. His response was they have to track the pennies. I respond I do not believe the reason and I leave.

I call the same branch and speak with a manager. She informs me the person that told me there was a fee was mistaken and not a manager, but another teller. Then asks me to return and pick up the pennies. I have to give WF an overall positive review because my issue was resolved. I called another local WF branch. They do not provide penny boxes to noncustomers. Why would WF turn away a potential customer, especially with the recent scandal? WF needs to get its ** together if they want to obtain more customers.

I wanted to open an account and the manager ran my social security number checking my credit without asking for telling me. She said, "Oh we have it on file, but don't worry it's a soft hit on your bureau so don't worry about it." I was astonished. I asked for the federal, state and corporate policies that she believed authorized her to do such a thing. She spent a week researching and came up with nothing but still said she has the right to utilize my private info without my consent. I filed a Wells Fargo dispute for resolution. The claims manager said the same thing. She also refused and failed to produce the written policy or law they believed they were following by checking my FICO score without our written or verbal consent. I invoked the FCRA and they did not even know what it was. This bank is more criminal and incompetent with their new "customer centered" CEO. What a nightmare.

Wells Fargo has found another way to rip people off. I have been using online banking for two years and have never had an overdraft by watching my account every day multiple times in fact. Now their new online website hides transactions and doesn't post them for two or three days. I cannot check my account for a true balance daily. I have been charge 4 overdrafts totaling $140 dollars in the first week of their new website. I am in the process changing banks. My little bit of money won't matter to them I'm sure but they have no honor or integrity in my option (The rich get richer) and we suffer the consequences.

I have been a WF customer for 14 years and have always been a happy customer, even defending them when the fraud news broke. After seeing the reviews, it looks like they are using lots of fees to make money now, including overdraft fees and holding checks and money long enough to Cause overdraft fees that they will only credit $8 and keep the rest. They recently left me sitting in their lobby crying while they sat on my money, refusing me access to my funds knowing my water was being shut off as a result. It's true, they have changed drastically in recent months. I am closing my accounts. The bank with good customer service wins.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

OMG. They are the worst bank. They charge you for transferring money from one account to another. They also find every way to charge a overdraft fee. I hope the government shut they crooked company down. Opening account additional account in my name without authorization... The worst.

They rearrange your account transactions so that they can get money. I had a balance of $6 on my card. I spent $2 at McDonald's and it was drafted from account immediately. I did make an ATM withdrawal two days later and I acknowledged my overdraft fee. Well 6 days later I check my account and they've charged me a $35 overdraft fee for the McDonald's transaction all because McDonald's didn't take the money until 6 days AFTER I made the purchase! How is that possible when the account was positive at the time and the purchase was reflected on my online account? It's not my fault, and the employees I spoke with acknowledged that it wasn't my fault. But there's "nothing they can do." This isn't the first time this has happened either. This is the last time I will allow this to happen. I control my money, they won't. With that being said, goodbye WF.

Wells Fargo needs to be criminal prosecuted. In my case I was a victim of a forged signature into a second mortgage/credit line place in a home that I own with a partner, fraudulent notarized by a bank employee and even with all the documents proven same and recognized by Wells Fargo attorney, Wells Fargo is trying to strip me of my house with the ok from a legal system which only work for the rich.

I opened a Wells Fargo account to try and separate some money. I would have been better off investing it. Nothing but excellent customer service from the employees. No complaints there. I decided to close the account because it became a part time job to meet their monthly requirements to avoid the monthly service fee. Apparently opening the account to let the money just sit is not acceptable. The bank lines are either fast and moving or slow and long. Depending on location, time of week and day. I would and would not recommend Wells Fargo. It all depends on your experience with them.

Wells Fargo closed my checking saving account. I walk in Wells Fargo bank on 05/31/2016. After that day bank send me a notice they are going to closed my all the account even though I keep about $45000.00 in my account.

I had to use a Wells Fargo ATM machine at Atlanta airport for emergency cash. I had to withdraw $40. I accepted the $3 fee because I am not their customer. When I got home, in addition to the $43 withdrawal amount, I was charged twice $2.50 for "balance inquiry". Bottom line is that while a legitimate charge would be $43, I was charged a total of $8 to withdraw $40. Is that legalized theft or what?

They can't even give you a reason why your card is declined, even though you have the amount in CASH sitting in THEIR bank! I'm absolutely disgusted with this bank, the tellers are very rude and act like you are stealing from them when in fact it is MY money and they are the crooks!

At the time of writing this email I received a call from the Wells Fargo fraud department almost four weeks ago. They stated there may have been unauthorized transactions and wanted to verify transactions. There were two; One that had gone through, the other they caught. The second disputed item was immediately removed, but the second lingers. I have tried phone calls, writing emails, visiting a branch and speaking with the branch manager to have the first fraud charge removed. To date none have been successful. I have been a long-time customer, two plus decades, and since the Wells Fargo scandal and firing 5,000 employees the bank doesn't seem equipped to do their job. I'm very disappointed that Wells Fargo customer service has gone down the tubes.

Just closed out all my accounts with Wells Fargo. I was charged an "operational" fee of $125.00 for each of my accounts. I have read the fees associated with closing out IRA accounts, and although I feel these fees should be waived (I've been with my financial advisor for over 15 years), I understand Wells Fargo's need to get as much money out of me as they can before I leave. But to charge $125.00 for closing out a $2,500 brokerage account is outrageous. I can only assume you thought I would never catch this "error".

My mom has been ill for several months, so getting out of her home takes a lot of energy and effort. She called Wells Fargo customer service to transfer money from her checking account into her joint checking account with my dad. She was informed that this transfer wasn't allowed over the phone, so a cashier's check was issued. It was a large sum of money since she also closed her savings account. She also communicated their recent change of address to the banker to make sure that the check would arrive here. She was informed that the check would arrive in 5-7 business days.

We called on the 7th business day because the check had not yet arrived. The banker informed us that it would actually take 7-10 business days, so the check was most likely still en route. At that time, she explained that there is no tracking for a cashier's check as it would be difficult for a third party to try to cash this. The lack of tracking left me feeling very uncomfortable about the safety of my mom's money.

After the check did not arrive on the 10th business day, we called again. The banker informed us that it would actually take up to 14 business days, so that we should continue to wait longer. Once again, we were assured that it would be very difficult for a third party to cash a cashier's check. If that were the case, we could report it as fraud and a new check would be issued. The banker made it sound like it would be a simple process and that the bank would make sure my mom's money was protected in this case.

Unsatisfied with this response because of the inconsistent information we were receiving about how long the check would take to arrive, I pressed the banker further to see if she could track the check. In the process of trying to access information in my mom's account, we discovered that an incorrect address had been entered into her account. In the security process, the banker asked a question, pulling from public records, about an old phone number that neither my mom or myself could answer. That was very frustrating as the information she was requesting was most likely 20+ years old! As a result, she was locked out of my mom's account and could not further assist us.

I requested to talk with her supervisor. We repeated the same story, now with the added frustration and concern about the check being sent to the incorrect address. She was also unable to assist us because she was locked out of the system. The supervisor informed us that we would need to visit a bank branch to resolve this issue. Knowing that it would be difficult to bring my mom into a bank, I requested to speak to the next level supervisor. She transferred me to Customer Service.

Customer Service listened to our story and reassured us that it would be difficult for a third party to cash the check. If that were the case, their system would catch this, and it would be reported as fraud. A new check would then be issued. He also faced the challenge of being locked out of my mom's account. After frustration on my part and because I couldn't escalate this to another level of management, I agreed to visit the branch office. This phone conversation took an hour and a half in the afternoon, so I had limited time to get to the branch office, which closes at 6 pm.

I visited the branch office a short while later with P.O.A. in hand so that I could discuss this with the banker in person. She seemed frustrated to have to deal with a P.O.A. shortly before closing. After consulting with her legal representative, I was informed that I also needed to have a doctor's letter for proof that my mom was "incapacitated" to attend to her account. My other option was to bring in my dad as he is joint owner on their checking account. Then she could open up my mom's account to take a look at the issue. I left frustrated with no resolution and a feeling that what matters most to Wells Fargo is following their system.

After discussing this with my mom, she decided that she would come in so that we could address and resolve this issue. My mom and dad need this savings account money to pay bills. So I brought her into the same branch in the morning. A new banker greeted us. She immediately ran into an issue with accessing my mom's account because my mom didn't have the correct form of primary identification. My mom had brought in everything she had - expired passport, citizenship papers, social security and credit cards and an expired Wells Fargo debit card, but the system doesn't allow any of these as legal primary identification verification.

The branch manager was pulled in, and he also consulted with the District Manager, who happened to be in the office that morning. They all explained that the system could not be overrode without serious consequences to their jobs. The banker proceeded to put a stop payment on the cashier's check. We were concerned about where the money would go since my mom no longer has a savings account. We were also informed that if she wanted a new cashier's check to be issued, a $605 fee would be added to cover bond insurance. This was absolutely could not be waived by the bank.

If she didn't want to pay the fee, she would need to wait 90 days for the check to be re-issued. This was extremely frustrating! And we still couldn't change the incorrect address! This was also frustrating and concerning. For a bank whose system is so tight to protect customer information, now my parents' bank statements were also going to be sent to the incorrect address. This meeting took more than an hour. We left with no resolution because my mom had a doctor's appointment to attend.

The next morning, I brought both my mom and dad into the office so that the banker could get into their account and change the incorrect address. She was able to change the joint account information. However, she was still locked out of my mom's savings account since she was the sole owner, so she couldn't change the address in this account anyway! The banker proceeded to address stop payment on the cashier's check and to see if it could be re-issued without fees. After an hour of phone conversations, she informed us that even if my mom paid the $605 in fees, the cashier's check could not be guaranteed to arrive before January 27th, 2017, which was 90 days away. If we wanted the fees to be waived, we could talk directly with the bond company to address this. If she didn't pay, the check would be re-issued on January 27th, 2017 and sent to her. (The wrong address is currently still on her account!)

I also questioned - "what would happen to the funds during the 90 days since my mom's savings account was closed?" No one seemed to know or offer a clear, reasonable explanation for this. I'm concerned that after how this has been handled, that my mom could actually end up losing her savings account because of Wells Fargo's lack of connectedness and knowledge to handle a situation like this. My parents were getting pretty tired by this point, and I was now confused and frustrated. The banker, who had been in close consultation with her manager throughout this process, called the Resolution Team to see if they could do something and have the check re-issued. After more than an hour and a half, the banker told me that she would continue to seek resolution and would be in touch with me when she had information. We left the branch.

I reached out to the banker via phone and email later that afternoon for an update since I hadn't heard from her. She informed me that the Resolution Team is still looking into this, and that she would get back to me when she receives an answer. My mom's cashier's check of thousands of dollars is floating around somewhere - no one knows where - and the bank is unable to re-issue a check for her money because it was put into a cashier's check. This important piece of mail was not trackable!! I'm alarmed at how lax Wells Fargo has been in handling my mom's life savings!!!

When I checked my bank account I saw a suspicious pending withdrawal from my checking account. I immediately called Wells Fargo to let them know I did not recognize nor authorize the transaction. They said it would take 7-10 days to find a resolution. They told me that it looked like it could be to anything from an offshore bank account to possible someone stealing my information from a random transaction I had made. They really didn't know. The next day the pending transaction was gone, and my account looked right. I went into the bank and closed that account and opened a new account to keep my information secure.

They very next day I again checked my accounts, and somehow the debit processed overnight and overdrafted my account. I called the bank and they didn't know what happened but said they'd do more research. They finally figured out that the money had gone to my ex-husband's personal loan, and that he was linked to the account. They never called me to let me know the fraud alert had been lifted or that the debit was because of my ex-husband. The bank transaction does not say where the money went, and I have no proof that the money went to his loan. They are only telling me that is where the money went. I don't know if his loan was paid or if the money went somewhere else, such as to a Wells Fargo fraudulent account or to a collection agency for my ex, or any number of possible accounts. The fraud department never did contact me back.

I was able to grab my money from my dog's mouth before he chewed any paper. The damage was all bills torn down the middle. If you have the serial number on both sides and around 3/4 of the bill, you will be able to get to money back. Immediately, I took the money to my local Wells Fargo branch at 280 Brook Highland Branch, Birmingham, AL, 35242 and the I spoke to was told by the supervisor that it is Wells Fargo policy not to handle torn bills. After telling my wife the story, she said I think this is false. My wife banks at APCO credit union after having past issues with Wells Fargo. She stopped by APCO and questioned them on this matter and they said they are required by law to take the money and issue new money when they are in good shape as I said. My wife is in the process of getting everything moved from Wells Fargo to her bank.

I have Wells Fargo and last month I did a fraud claim. They gave me the runaround and when I finally got to file the claim they said I would hear from them in 7-10 days later and I still haven't heard anything. I had a block put on the account that someone had accessed my information and they gave me a new account number and a new card. So I thought all of that was behind me but I guess not. I go to check account balance and all of my money in my new account was gone. The account that had a block on it was over drafted and they took my funds from my new account to cover the overdraft fees in the old one. I have spent all day trying to resolve this and nothing is being done. I use to love Wells Fargo. Now I just want to go to another bank. Maybe Chase will be a better fit!! I'm closing my account today and going elsewhere!!!

I called the Fraud department on Sunday to report a breach of my checking account by a Cable TV company. The company did not have any of my bank card details, yet was able to make a withdrawal of over $350 without authorization!!! 5 days later, still no resolution, except to tell me that they are unable to approve the reversal because I once did business with this company!!! I had to verify almost my firstborn's blood type just to get them to speak to me about my own account, but This company can go in and withdraw a random amount without authorization. My money is not safe at Wells Fargo.

I've had the frustration of having to speak to not one, but TWO poorly spoken representatives that have no grasp of how to enunciate their words. I made it very clear that I want to speak to someone who not CAN, but WILL put my money back in my account. I will also be withdrawing my funds from both accounts with them and moving my business elsewhere. Absolutely disgusting protection of my money by a bank.

We have a checking account with Wells Fargo. About every 3 months a legal fee of $125.00 appears on our statement and is deducted from our account whether we have the balance or not. If we do not have the balance then an overdraft fee of $35.00 is also occurred. We have been told that when we opened the account and signed our account agreement (or how it is presented signature card) we agreed to this fee. This account costs us a minimum of $500.00 per year. Wells Fargo will not refund any of the fees either. Can this be legal?

I have used Wells Fargo for both personal and business accounts. I have followed their suggestions which only resulted in additional audits and additional bank fees. They have helped themselves to my account for FUTA tax with NO notice as if that is ok, they have added vacation hours to employees on their mistake costing me thousands of dollars. They cash payroll checks 2 or 3 times and during the reversal process it's always my problem to wait until the account clears up so I can have the funds back in my account. They nickel and dime you to death and not even so much as an apology.

Today I received a letter that they ID their accrual calculation error and now I need to go back to each employee to make sure they have the proper amount of vacation. I asked who I submit my bill for services too, and she laughed and stated they don't do that. Funny, because I am paying Wells Fargo to do that, but of course it's again my problem. This is the worst bank and most legal organized criminal institution I have ever encountered. I catch at least 2-3 mistakes a week. I can only imagine what they get away with when no one is watching.

I've been a Wells Fargo customer for almost 15 years in Southern Colorado. We have multiple accounts for multiple businesses that we run. I have LOVED the WF online banking and Bill Pay because it allowed me to see my accounts at a glance, see my TOTAL bank balance at a glance, and Bill Pay has been wonderful. I could set up different payments from different accounts and Bill Pay would keep them separated in different lists so I could easily see if I needed to transfer money between accounts for upcoming scheduled Bill Pay payments.

NOW all my scheduled payments are lumped together in one list, NOT separated by account, and NOT EVEN showing me a total - OF COURSE I can break out my calculator and add up all my scheduled payments to see what the total is and then see if I have enough money in that particular account - but isn't that the WHOLE POINT of online banking and Bill Pay services, that they provide that kind of info for the customer?

I wonder if Wells Fargo is making these CHANGES to their website ON PURPOSE - how many more Overdrawn fees will they be able to charge now, simply because busy customers (everyone is busy) don't have the time to get out their calculators, add up their scheduled payments, and check if they have enough funds to cover the payments?

I think it is ODD that the "improvements" include TAKING AWAY information and formatting that is HELPFUL to the customer. In between signing out of the HORRIBLE new WF website (that is OBVIOUSLY slanted to them and not to customers) and posting this review, I already started searching for other banks to move my money to. I am leaving WF after 15 years and I hope many, many more people do, too!

As of October 28, 2016 Wells Fargo has refused to close my empty savings account. I have made the request to close it in-person and by using their website. If they apply fees during this billing cycle, you will be hearing from me again...

With all the bad press, I thought I would just review because I have been with Wells Fargo for years and I have found them to be a pretty honest and upfront business for the most part, especially in the industry they are in. They would not loan money that puts people "underwater" on a house. They have taken care of my accounts fairly and although they have some fees, they are waived if you have certain types of accounts. I have had a few minor issues but hey, in 40 years of doing business could be worse. I wouldn't want to change at this point.

I had an under-18 minor account (joint, with my dad) with Wells Fargo growing up without issues. A month ago, we both went into a branch to close the account, as I am not a minor any more, and they assured us it would be closed. One month later, I get an email saying there are overdraft fees on the account. If it's closed, that should not be possible. So I went back into the branch and explained what happened, and they said they couldn't help me because the guy who helped us close the account had been fired due to the recent scandal and they "have no idea what he did," so I would have to talk to their phone banking number.

After calling, the woman on the phone said the account had never been closed and they would not reverse the 3 fees they have charged, nor was I allowed to close the account without opening the college student checking account, and she threatened that if I did not pay the overdraft soon my credit score would reflect "what a poor customer I've been to them" (I addressed the overdraft THE SAME DAY THEY CHARGED IT). That's simply ridiculous to try to take advantage of a student that way, and then to claim I MUST open an account to close a previous one? I simply paid the overdraft fee on the account, went into the branch, and made the manager close it while I watched.

As a business major, I am glad I never opened my adult accounts with this shady bank. They allowed 3 fraudulent charges to occur to their benefit (and that's over $100 out of the pocket of a college student who works full time), and I am appalled at how this whole thing was handled - Wouldn't you want to be willing to help your customer and right your mistake, considering they could be a lifetime member of your bank? Corruption starts from the top down, and Wells Fargo has finally demonstrated what kind of people they hire and shown their true colors.

I monitor my account daily. We had $10 in the account when my husband put his check in the bank. He checked the account when he put the money in. They have now charged 10 overdraft charges and I will have to give them 1/2 of my paycheck. Something has changed in the last 6 months or so. It is so hard to find a good bank. I will be closing my account tomorrow when my direct deposit goes into the account. I will pay what they say I owe and I will be taking my business elsewhere. They rearrange the transactions so it benefits them. I tried getting a loan a few months ago. They said I was approved. I finished getting them the information they needed. Then a month later they denied the loan.

I called to ask about it and someone was supposed to call me back. I am still waiting on that phone call. I still don't understand why the loan was not approved. I was told numerous times that we were approved and we were depending on that since we were told we were approved. They don't care about the customers. Just scamming money from people.

I missed a few car payments due to domestic violence. I had to move cross country closer to family almost immediately, within 2 days. Upon finding a new employer, government, I paid the balance due as well as paid 1 year in advance to show loyalty as well prove credit worthiness as this incident was not an indication of how I conduct my finances. I emailed and wrote Wells Fargo requesting a goodwill adjustment due to these extenuating circumstances. They could give 2 **. I will NEVER conduct business with them once my loan is paid. As much scrutiny that they have endured in the news lately you would think some type of forgiveness wouldn't be far-fetched.

This bank took $400.00 out of my mother-in-law's account instead of my account. She told them she didn't make the transaction and they told her yes she did. When we called that bank and told them it was us and to switch the money they still denied her claim and said it was her. I did speak with one lady and she said she was so sorry and they would use this as a training tool, and we should see something done and he haven't. I called again today and they told me it was denied again.

It's only been these past 6 months that I have a had a problem with them. They are outrageous with fees. I was charged $35 on more than one occasion when my account was overdrawn by no more than $3. From pending posts that take several days on their end to post. Although they say that it's the other businesses that are posting their receipts late. I don't believe that. This is just ridiculous. They charge fees on top of fees for such small amounts. They are really taking advantage of their customers. Mind you have been a Wells Fargo customer for many years. Left them and decided to return since there were a lot in my new area. I am so disappointed in them this second go round. I will never bank with them again and will drive further out of the way to bank with PNC or Chase. They are a fraud.

I mostly do not have any problems with Wells Fargo and in spite of what they are going through and it has not swayed my banking relationship with them. We all make bad decisions at some point and I believe in being loyal UNTIL OTHERWISE. Such is a time now. I went on vacation to NY and went to a ATM to withdraw 300.00. Only 220.00 popped out. On top of that, I was issued erroneous fees for transferring MY OWN money at a time when my balance was positive.

A week later, no one has made any attempt to contact me so called customer service in reference to these fees and my argument was consistent and valid. After nearly a hr, I guess she got tired of me because she opt to give me back my 35.00. She had to send me to someone else to discuss the 80.00 in which after sitting on hold for over a hr, they never came to the phone.

The next day, I see the fee was still sitting there along with another one and I am livid and call customer service again, according to her, there was no record of the conversation and all she could do was give me back 8.75??? Transferred me to speak about the ATM issue and again after 1 hr and a half hold time, no one came to the phone and the call just went out. Do they not want to confront my issue? Are they looking for a ways to recoup funds by these shady tactics?

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.
  • Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.
  • Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.
  • Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.
  • Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.
  • Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.
  • Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.
  • Best for Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions