Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

BOTTOM LINE

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

PROS

• Free online banking and mobile app
  • Free money transfers
  • Large selection of financial products

CONS

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Top Wells Fargo Reviews We Found

Wells has always been responsive to questions and issues, both online and through my local bank. Their fraud department is first rate. When my credit card was compromised, they responded immediately with a new card and did not hold me liable for any of the charges.

… Most people only take the time to write bad reviews but I wanted to take the time to say he was very friendly and helpful and I will definitely be sending others into this branch ...

What is Wells Fargo Bank?

Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage services as well as commercial and consumer financing at 7,600 locations in 32 countries and territories around the globe. Wells Fargo mobile banking gives customers the ability to link their checking, savings, credit card and investment accounts all in one place. Customers can also deposit checks from their phones with the Wells Fargo app.

Wells Fargo financial services

Wells Fargo offers multiple products and services, including checking, savings accounts, credit cards and loans.

Wells Fargo checking accounts
    Wells Fargo has five different options for personal checking accounts — Everyday, Preferred, Portfolio, Teen and Opportunity. Businesses can select from Simple, Choice Platinum and Analyzed checking accounts. Most personal and business checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.
    Wells Fargo savings accounts and CDs
    Wells Fargo offers two savings account options, Way2Save and Platinum Savings. Wells Fargo also offers CDs, which require at least a $2,500 minimum opening deposit. CDs are available at fixed rates and step rates.
    Wells Fargo loans
    Wells Fargo offers multiple loan types, including student loans, auto loans and mortgage loans to help you buy, refinance or renovate a home. The bank offers low-APR personal loans and lines of credit ranging from $3,000 to $100,000. Wells Fargo also provides loans and lines of credit for businesses.
    Wells Fargo credit cards
    Wells Fargo has several credit card options. Almost all Wells Fargo cards have a cash back or reward program, and a few have no annual fee.
    Wells Fargo retirement services
    Wells Fargo offers traditional and Roth IRAs. You can also invest in mutual funds and manage your portfolio yourself or with the help of a Wells Fargo investment professional. The WellsTrade Mutual Fund Screened Listed makes investing simple by pre-screening mutual funds. Wells Fargo Advisors, a full-service brokerage, is available to customers to help with investment planning. You can also invest directly online and automate your investing through the Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor.
    Wells Fargo merchant services
    Wells Fargo makes running a business easy with payment processing that allows you to accept card payments onsite, online or wherever you might be. Mobile payments are available for Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Wells Fargo benefits for business owners also include Clover point-of-sale systems customized fit your business needs.

Wells Fargo Reviews

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

My wife and I went to the Westshore branch to open an account. We were fortunate to be assisted by Personal Banker Alexandra **. I have never experienced such friendly, knowledgeable and efficient service. I can see why she came highly recommended. With employees like this Wells Fargo will go from strength to strength. Thank you very much for assisting me and my family. Looking forward to many happy years banking with you.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I went into the the Woodstock Branch in Towne Lake (Georgia), Shaun ** assisted me. Most people only take the time to write bad reviews but I wanted to take the time to say he was very friendly and helpful and I will definitely be sending others into this branch. From the minute I walked in the door the lady who assisted me, to the teller who finalized closing out my out, the whole staff is so friendly and helpful. This branch goes above and beyond and truly cares about the customer experience. 5 stars!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Wells Fargo has made huge efforts to re-establish their customers' faith by totally re-vamping their sales strategy and taking accountability for any/all past mistakes. I have seen much improvement in their authentication methods with a focus on privacy and security. Despite the whole fiasco a few years ago I was confident in that they would do the right thing and use the situation as a learning experience. It’s not to say that the issue would not happen again and I believe any/all companies are subject to the same type of issues Wells Fargo has experienced without proper account safety protocols in place to try and circumvent situations such as what Wells Fargo has experienced.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Have to say THANK YOU to Kristina ** in the Windsor, CO local branch. We walked in with a tricky situation involving a scam, and she immediately got on the phone and started taking steps to help us. She spent ~45 minutes working on this stressful situation. She was professional, courteous, empathetic, and did everything she possible could to help us. Thank you so much Kristina! Mike & Tanner ** Windsor, CO.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Wells Fargo has gotten a bad rap in the past, but my experiences have been good. I have had 3 fraud charges on my account and with a click of a button I was called by a rep and the charges were taken off. I pay all my bills and transfer money. All the actions are very easy and successful. I would and do recommend them to everyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: June 23, 2020

Been a customer on and off since 2011. All I can say is "screw me once shame on you, twice shame on me". Just about EVERY time I have an account or transaction it costs me money thru fees and manipulation of transactions. SSA won't even let me change my direct deposits to them. What does that say???

Original review: June 19, 2020

Do you want to know why you can't get through? Some of their call center customer service agents are playing games - they are tired of the heavy call volume. It took me 5 minutes to get an agent - she then pretended to be assisting me with a mistake made by the bank - she kept me on hold for 38 minutes - telling me periodically she was talking to her supervisor. I then get blind transferred to an unrelated department. If you look at the reviews this bank has no clue on how to provide even adequate customer service! Shame on them!!!! This agent decided to take a 38 minute break during a period of heavy call volume. Wasted my time and all of yours!!

Original review: June 17, 2020

I deposited a cashier's check into my account of 32 years through the ATM, since COVID makes it such that we can't go into a bank without an appointment. Today, June 16, 2020, I spoke to 4 people including making an appointment with a banker who stated they are "holding" the cashier's check for 5 business days and the funds won't release into my account until Day 6. Cash people. In every other bank in the Country a cashier's check is cash. But not at Wells Fargo.

They also lied when they told me this was a hold by Bank of America - the other major conglomerate that was the issuer of the cashier's check. I know this is a lie because when I came home and before I called Wells Fargo back for a 2nd time, I called BofA who told me they don't put any holds on cashier's checks because they are guaranteed and they are cash. They let me know it is their policy to release up to $5,000 immediately (because it's cash) and anything over that is only "held" for 24-48 hours like any other deposit. Consumers beware. Even though Wells Fargo receives billions in tax dollars to stay afloat, they made a corporate policy decision to make interest on my cashier's check for a week before they will release the money to me. Wells Fargo Bank is a fraud.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I opened my first account when I was 16 years old which is 42 years ago. WF has become an absolute nightmare to work with over the past 5-6 years. Horrific customer service. Ridiculous hold times when calling. A revolving door of uneducated and inept millennials that work at the branches and complete morons that occupy the overseas boiler rooms that you are directed to when calling for customer service. Just another example of a big bank putting corporate profits way ahead of reliable customer service.

I have closed all of my accounts with WF and gone to a local bank where I met the President of the bank, was provided his cell phone number, the teller gals have been there for over 7 years, etc. What a major difference. WF, along with every other large bank is a nightmare to deal with. Bof A, Chase, Citi, etc. All the same...no customer service. (I must have gone into my branch 1000 times over 10 years and every single time they ask me for my drivers license....seriously, how obtuse is the revolving door of completely stupid CEO's that run that bank?)

Go with a small BANK (most credit unions suck as well) that do everything the big banks do but still believe in customer service and don't employ overseas call centers where they get away with paying slave wages in order to pay top management people millions of dollars a year in W2 wages not to mention the multi-millions in stock options/warrants, etc. that top management gets all at the expense of providing customer service and keeping all of their jobs here in the USA.

Original review: June 11, 2020

We paid off a loan at Wells Fargo bank. The banker suggested we take out a line of credit "just in case we ever needed it". We were assured there would be no cost unless it was used. We never used it. 10 years later it has expired and wells Fargo tells us we have a bill. It seems we have to pay our county of residence a fee to clear a lien of ZERO dollars. We have no mortgage but our house sale will be held up until the lien is removed. We consider this deceptive and another example of this bank cheating customers.

Wells Fargo fees

Wells Fargo’s monthly service fees for checking accounts range from $0 to $30, though service fees are waived for teenagers and college students between 17 to 24 years old. Monthly service fees for business checking accounts range from $10 to $40. The bank charges a $5 or $12 monthly fee on savings accounts. Wells Fargo's checking account fees can be avoided by maintaining a specific average balance or completing a minimum number of transactions each month. Also, expect fees for late credit card payments and overdraft charges unless your checking and savings accounts are linked.

Wells Fargo check cashing fee
      You only have to pay a Wells Fargo Bank fee to cash a check if you don’t have an account. The cost for nonmembers to cash a check at a Wells Fargo bank is $7.50.
      Wells Fargo transfer fee
      It costs $0 to transfer money between Wells Fargo accounts or for bank-to-bank transfer service.
      Wells Fargo overdraft fee
      Wells Fargo charges a $35 overdraft fee per item.
      Wells Fargo ATM fee
      ATM fees are $0 for Wells Fargo customers when they use a Wells Fargo ATM. Cash withdrawals at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are $2.50 each, and account balance inquiries are $2 each.
      Wells Fargo foreign transaction fee
      Wells Fargo’s foreign transaction fees reach up to 3% on some accounts. Outside of the U.S., ATM cash withdrawals are $5 each and ATM accounts transfers are $2 per transfer.
      Wells Fargo cash advance fee
      Wells Fargo’s cash advance fees are up to $12.50 per transaction. Credit advances vary based on the account.

Wells Fargo Bank FAQ

Does Wells Fargo have 24/7 customer service?
      Yes, Wells Fargo has 24/7 customer service available by phone and online.
      Is Wells Fargo a commercial bank?
      Yes, Wells Fargo provides commercial banking services and products for individuals and businesses.
      What states have Wells Fargo banks?
      Wells Fargo has locations throughout the U.S. in all states except Hawaii, Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massasschetts, Rhode Island and Maine.
      What are Wells Fargo’s dealer services?
      Wells Fargo’s dealer services provide indirect auto financing, commercial products and banking services to auto dealers.
      How old do you have to be to open a bank account at Wells Fargo?
      You can open a Wells Fargo account with a parent or guardian at 13 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to open an account on your own.

Is Wells Fargo a good bank?

Wells Fargo offers many options to handle your financial needs, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investments and loans. Compared to other banks, interest rates and fees are average. Overall, Wells Fargo’s products and services are robust and allow you the convenience to bank however and wherever you like.

Wells Fargo Company Information