3.3/5 (997 ratings)

About Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Pros

• Free online banking and mobile app
  • Free money transfers
  • Large selection of financial products

Cons

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

Top Wells Fargo Reviews

Verified

Wells has always been responsive to questions and issues, both online and through my local bank. Their fraud department is first rate. When my credit card was compromised, they re...

Verified

What is Wells Fargo Bank?

Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage services as well as commercial and consumer financing at 7,600 locations in 32 countries and territories around the globe. Wells Fargo mobile banking gives customers the ability to link their checking, savings, credit card and investment accounts all in one place. Customers can also deposit checks from their phones with the Wells Fargo app.

Wells Fargo financial services

Wells Fargo offers multiple products and services, including checking, savings accounts, credit cards and loans.

Wells Fargo checking accounts
Wells Fargo has five different options for personal checking accounts — Everyday, Preferred, Portfolio, Teen and Opportunity. Businesses can select from Simple, Choice Platinum and Analyzed checking accounts. Most personal and business checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.
Wells Fargo savings accounts and CDs
Wells Fargo offers two savings account options, Way2Save and Platinum Savings. Wells Fargo also offers CDs, which require at least a $2,500 minimum opening deposit. CDs are available at fixed rates and step rates.
Wells Fargo loans
Wells Fargo offers multiple loan types, including student loans, auto loans and mortgage loans to help you buy, refinance or renovate a home. The bank offers low-APR personal loans and lines of credit ranging from $3,000 to $100,000. Wells Fargo also provides loans and lines of credit for businesses.
Wells Fargo credit cards
Wells Fargo has several credit card options. Almost all Wells Fargo cards have a cash back or reward program, and a few have no annual fee.
Wells Fargo retirement services
Wells Fargo offers traditional and Roth IRAs. You can also invest in mutual funds and manage your portfolio yourself or with the help of a Wells Fargo investment professional. The WellsTrade Mutual Fund Screened Listed makes investing simple by pre-screening mutual funds. Wells Fargo Advisors, a full-service brokerage, is available to customers to help with investment planning. You can also invest directly online and automate your investing through the Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor.
Wells Fargo merchant services
Wells Fargo makes running a business easy with payment processing that allows you to accept card payments onsite, online or wherever you might be. Mobile payments are available for Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Wells Fargo benefits for business owners also include Clover point-of-sale systems customized fit your business needs.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I wanted to give a big shout out to Ms. Mame ** -- Georgia Ave, SS Branch! Mame always goes above the call of duty when I ask for assistance. Recently, I was in to replace my debit card along with another issue. She never makes you feel rushed. She's very patient and explains things in detail. She constantly wiped down her area due to COVID. That's a big deal in today's world. Once the process was over, she was reassuring everything was going to go well. Though it was one of the busiest time of the year, Christmas. Surely enough, in seven days my issues were resolved. Last but not least she is so respectful and professional! I want her to know how much I appreciate her... so please share this with her.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

These guys are the best banking institution we have ever worked with. They protect your account fiercely and provide you the tools to manage your money wisely. Additionally they have removed fees throughout the years that many other institutions continue to charge. They have embraced modern security solutions such as the as yet cracked AES encryption methods on your bank transactions and easily forgive overdraft fees, especially when you put money into your account the within a day or so. Local branches have personal touches and staff that don't push you to do anything at all. They will however give you the options if you ask for them so you don't have to go looking for them.

Finally, I have never had a reason to mistrust them on my accounts. Many people have said demeaning things about them but from my experience it has always been from a decade or so ago and usually are third party accounts. Am I fan? You bet I am. I actively sought out a way to leave this review because I believe they are the best model of a modern banking institution that knows what is important for families and individuals.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I recently had to make a wire transfer for the closing on a home I purchased. I had to physically go into the bank and realized most of the locations were closed and I had to make an appointment in advance at a location that was open. I went to the Wells Fargo location in Anthem and the young lady was wonderful. It required a lot of identification verification and then she called the title company to verify the exact wire info. It went through perfect and was received by the title company within a few minutes. It was a very positive experience at a very difficult time with Covid and the closing of many bank locations.

Original review: July 30, 2020

I've been with Wells Fargo since it came to Atlanta. I like the service that I receive and it fits my needs. I have a 365 Amex with Wells Fargo and it pays fairly well in rewards to use it. Though this card has a relationship bonus that I think he changed over the years and is not a much of a benefit as it was when I first opened the card. I like it that the card shows up on online with my bank accounts. But I am considering switching for a bank that will pay a bonus for opening an account. I hate switching everything, but for the payout it will be worth it and other than my credit card, then bank is not really giving me any other benefit. But I've been a customer with them now for probably about 15 yrs, so overall I'm satisfied.

Original review: July 29, 2020

I like this bank, but last week I needed a statement showing how much I had in my account and my information to prove that the account was mine. The problem was that the statement I could get on the app was not updated and to get one up to date I would have to go to the branch in person. I could not print it at the ATM either. I complained to the manager and he said I could only get at the branch for my own safety, since it had my information on it, or he could mail it to me, but not e-mail it...But the thing is that I could get older ones with all my information through the app, so where is the point of my safety. I just wanted something very simple and they could not help me.

Original review: May 9, 2021

DO NOT start a business using Wells Fargo banking. Their services suck, their offerings suck and they will be a liability not a partner to help you succeed. I couldn't dislike a banking partner more than Wells Fargo. Nothing but errors and problems on their side getting things set up and helping scale my banking needs with my company growth. I'll be looking to grow with another bank/credit union!

Original review: April 29, 2021

Extra payment taken from WF checking account without authorization, 3 attempts so far on my part to get it back with excuses, attitude from representatives because I don’t agree that it should take 10 days of review to refund a mistake from their checking account to their credit card and still no resolution. They immediately corrected a credit mistake they made of $175 to get their money right back, but still have my $1400 that they can’t figure out how to put back into my checking. The incompetence, department switching and blaming, irritable attitudes that I want it corrected and lack of ability to problem solve on many levels is horrifying- bank elsewhere.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I have been with Wells Fargo for over 3 year and everything was just fine till after December 2020. I have automated payment for my bills for the last three years but since December 2020 my payments are going thru a week after or showing in my account and disappear and once I get money in my account magically appear again putting my account in overdraw. This bank is been playing with my bills and my account badly ending up charging me more than 100 of dollars in overdraw fee and insufficient fund fees which I think that in the middle of a pandemic they shouldn't be playing like that with people money. It is a robbery in a legal professional way to do. This week I decide to close my account and keep my bills on time with no extra problems or overcharge from a bank that should be a bank we all trust. Sorry don't recommend this bank to anybody.

Original review: April 28, 2021

First off this is the worst bank I have had experience with. Not only have they shut my bank card off without any type of notification they sent my statements to an email that is not mine!! It's no wonder thieves have easy access to our accounts!!! Start hiring people who are responsible and professional to take care of our hard earn money!!! And teach your staff to call when you people decide to shut our cards off without any type of notice!! You lost just lost a customer!!!!

Original review: April 28, 2021

WELL FARGO BANK etc....Once again is up to their ILLEGAL PRACTICES ...And the E.O (executive office) #KNOWS THIS!!! Customer Service is at it worst ..Not everyone, you have to find the right representative. EXECUTIVE OFFICE..doesn't seem to care.... #Well Fargo Bank..Terrible

Wells Fargo fees

Wells Fargo’s monthly service fees for checking accounts range from $0 to $30, though service fees are waived for teenagers and college students between 17 to 24 years old. Monthly service fees for business checking accounts range from $10 to $40. The bank charges a $5 or $12 monthly fee on savings accounts. Wells Fargo's checking account fees can be avoided by maintaining a specific average balance or completing a minimum number of transactions each month. Also, expect fees for late credit card payments and overdraft charges unless your checking and savings accounts are linked.

Wells Fargo check cashing fee
    You only have to pay a Wells Fargo Bank fee to cash a check if you don’t have an account. The cost for nonmembers to cash a check at a Wells Fargo bank is $7.50.
    Wells Fargo transfer fee
    It costs $0 to transfer money between Wells Fargo accounts or for bank-to-bank transfer service.
    Wells Fargo overdraft fee
    Wells Fargo charges a $35 overdraft fee per item.
    Wells Fargo ATM fee
    ATM fees are $0 for Wells Fargo customers when they use a Wells Fargo ATM. Cash withdrawals at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are $2.50 each, and account balance inquiries are $2 each.
    Wells Fargo foreign transaction fee
    Wells Fargo’s foreign transaction fees reach up to 3% on some accounts. Outside of the U.S., ATM cash withdrawals are $5 each and ATM accounts transfers are $2 per transfer.
    Wells Fargo cash advance fee
    Wells Fargo’s cash advance fees are up to $12.50 per transaction. Credit advances vary based on the account.

Wells Fargo Bank FAQ

Does Wells Fargo have 24/7 customer service?
    Yes, Wells Fargo has 24/7 customer service available by phone and online.
    Is Wells Fargo a commercial bank?
    Yes, Wells Fargo provides commercial banking services and products for individuals and businesses.
    What states have Wells Fargo banks?
    Wells Fargo has locations throughout the U.S. in all states except Hawaii, Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massasschetts, Rhode Island and Maine.
    What are Wells Fargo’s dealer services?
    Wells Fargo’s dealer services provide indirect auto financing, commercial products and banking services to auto dealers.
    How old do you have to be to open a bank account at Wells Fargo?
    You can open a Wells Fargo account with a parent or guardian at 13 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to open an account on your own.

Is Wells Fargo a good bank?

Wells Fargo offers many options to handle your financial needs, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investments and loans. Compared to other banks, interest rates and fees are average. Overall, Wells Fargo’s products and services are robust and allow you the convenience to bank however and wherever you like.

Wells Fargo Company Information