2.98/5
Based on 1,873 ratings submitted in the last year

2683 Wells Fargo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 26, 2019

CAME TO THE NEW PROVIDENCE BRANCH OF WELLS FARGO. MET WITH MARY **. MS. ** WAS THE CONSUMMATE PROFESSIONAL. Explained everything down to smallest detail. No pressure, no hurries, no worries. Our loan was approved in 30 minutes. Ms. ** is truly a person you want to deal with. Knows her job right down to the last word. Customer service is a lost art, but not with Ms. **. She has renewed my faith in dealing with people who say they care and want to to help and that is exactly what she did. In closing I want to say thank you to Mary ** for being the warm, caring individual that she is.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I really & truly think that Wells Fargo is the best bank. I have never had an issue since with anything negative since I first opened my checking account back in 2010. I have only nice things to say about Wells Fargo. Anytime I have ever had a discrepancy, whether it be on my online statement or with an unauthorized charge on my debit card, Wells Fargo always takes care of it and never gives me any hassle about it whatsoever and I appreciate that and truly feel like they are on my side. It’s a good feeling.

Since I have a checking and a savings account with Wells Fargo and since I use my debit card at least ten times a month for purchases, I haven't paid for checking in years. They have ATMs located all across America & the new ATMs even give you a choice on what denominations of bills you want from the machine, even $5.00 bills! Just make sure if you leave the country you have enough cash in the bank to cover your needs (especially in the Southern part of Mexico) because they do not always have branch locations or ATMs available where you can deposit cash if you should need to. I’m unsure why this bank has such a ‘bad rap’ and such a low star rating. I ❤️ Wells Fargo!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

My name is Natalie **. It is with tears that I am writing this letter. I have been a member of Wells Fargo on-and-off for many years. I have also been a member of Bank of America, however, there is no comparison to Wells Fargo. I don't care what anyone says. I am speaking base on my experience with both banks. Wells Fargo has helped me out more than even my family members. I have had many financial emergencies, such as, utility bills, credit cards with revolving payments. I was unable to pay these bills. Even though the money was not there they paid it anyway. And am not just talking about one time, it happen on several occasions. I was at my wit's end in debt. I hit rock bottom and had no money to pay my bills. Wells Fargo believed in me. I will never leave them for another bank. I had Bank of America for several years, and NEVER had they done this for me or anything of that sort.

Original review: July 6, 2018

While in a move, my wife and I did not make a final payment before the promotion ended and a lump sum interest amount was added. I called Wells Fargo to ask for a reprieve. While I did not gain any satisfaction with customer service, I was transferred to the Executive Services Department where Debbie answered and listened to my plight. It didn't take long for her to understand and allow me to make the final payment without the lump sum interest added on. We are very appreciative of this opportunity to avoid the added on interest. THANK YOU!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I purchased a gift for my daughter from a local jewelry store using the Wells Fargo Jewelry Advantage account with no interest if paid in full by a specific date. I have paid triple the minimum payment every month and will pay it off three months early. I pay through my bank and was one day late twice and received a $38 late fee. I was wrong to get the payment to them late but outraged at the late fee as I have had a WF account for years, always make more than the minimum payment and have a high credit score. I spoke with three supervisors before they removed the late fee. The third supervisor, Isaac **, in spite of the "retail account rules" waived the fee and was professional and polite. Thank you Isaac. I paid the balance in full, minus the late fee. I appreciate the consideration.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: May 18, 2019

Visited the Ridley Branch on Friday 5/17/19. Long line waiting for a Teller. One Teller looked at the line and walked out of the bank leaving two Tellers to handle inside business. Two drive in Tellers on duty. One taking care of a customer. The other staring at customers in line. There was another employee walking around asking if anyone wanted to make a deposit. When no one responded she walked into an office and closed the door. When I reached the window Kim waited on me and apologized for the delay. She was very nice and helpful. The drive in Teller doing NOTHING immediately started making excuses for the delay. Customers don't need excuses. We need prompt and friendly service! HIRE MORE TELLERS OR CROSS TRAIN OTHERS TO ASSIST TELLERS WHEN BUSY!!!

Original review: May 17, 2019

Holding Money in limbo more than 20 days before sending check. I took a loan from my Wells Fargo Retirement 401k. They processed, and started loan payments due the next day. They claim a check is in the mail without any proof, or documentation to this claim. After three weeks of waiting for a check that they claim was mailed more than ten business days ago I contacted them. They still had no proof that a check was ever mailed. They then gave me an option of having it sent FedEx next day using my FedEx account. I gave them my FedEx account information and was told by their representative that I would have it the next day.

The next day came, I had to call and ask for tracking info on this check that they promised to send. I was then told that this check is being processed, and that it will take an additional three business days to process. They did not inform me of this while taking my FedEx account info and promising to send it. Since this is a Friday I must wait another 5 Days!! This is another scam by Wells Fargo to withdraw money from your account, then hold on to it in limbo while they collect the interest for more than 20 business days, or as long as possible. All the while expecting loan payments before the customer ever receives the check!! Wells Fargo is a very devious Company. Shame on them!! I know that I am not the only person that this has happened to over the years. There should be a class action suit filed against Wells Fargo for this type of theft.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Online banking has been unavailable for computers since Wednesday May 15, 2019. It is now Friday May 17, 2019 and there is no estimate available for when it will be fixed. I filed an executive complaint with Rhonda, case no.** but she stated she has no access to email to send any follow up information.

Original review: May 16, 2019

They do not notify you when there is suspicious activity in your account. They don’t even call me anymore to ask about my account being overdrawn. I struggle every month to get by and I can not afford to have my identity played with. So I honestly think they have a lot of things they should try harder on.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Stay away from Wells Fargo, they will non stop call you after putting you in a re-payment program, they try to change the details of said program on the fly. And trying to get them to help you in the first place shouldn't be as difficult as they make it out to be. STAY AWAY.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I run a business and with WF for a very long time and never had a problem before, they closed my accounts which is not my fault and told me because it's unsafe and told me that I can reopen. It's very disappointing and not good business practice since all my account numbers are not exposed to bad guys out there, but the branch in Hollywood won't let me reopen any type of account.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I filed a complaint in regards to a fraudulent activity that has happened to me and it seems as if Wells Fargo bank cannot help or provide a resolution to a loyal 18+ year customer. I had a transaction happened to me through a third party, and that merchant where I sent the money I never received the services for the transaction. I contacted Wells Fargo to file a claim, I had to leave the country for a family emergency and when I came back, a week later, I haven’t had any messages in regards to my claim that I filed so I decided to follow up. Well when I called of course “nothing” can be done because it’s a third party transaction that I provided the money to the client. I find this a bunch of BS because I contacted the third party company and was told because it’s a transaction that came from my personal bank if I wanted it disputed I would I have to contact the bank. I just been tossed like a tennis ball between the two.

One representative had the nerve to tell me, "Well that’s we have the Zelle app that you could of used," and I’m like, "Excuse you. That’s besides the point." Sometimes other people don’t have Zelle and there other ways to send money. So you mean to tell me you can’t help me because I didn’t use Zelle app? BS. So what did you guys do before you created the Zella app not assist customers in situations like these?? Rude behind.

I’m so sick of this situation and it taught me a valuable lesson 1) be extra protective of my purchases, 2) find another bank that will have my back in situations like these. Furthermore I have evidence that this person has been doing this to other people which I contacted the other victims and their banks were able to handle the situation with the THIRD party merchant and REFUND for the horrible situation. Wells Fargo I’m very disappointed and do not feel secure at all. I don’t care how many fancy technology you guys come up with, the customer service and silly policy doesn’t make me feel safe to even continue to bank with you guys. I’m leaving.

Original review: May 15, 2019

As a retired disabled veteran I opened a Wells Fargo Checking/Savings in order to have a local bank and had my SSDI check direct deposited into the account. When I tried to pay off a furniture bill for $3K online and was told they could not raise my limit for the process. I went to the local branch to close my accounts. I was told there was a pending $5.76 overdraft fee therefore that amount was deducted from the owed balance. The branch closed both the checking and savings and asked that I call customer service the next day to complete the closure. To my surprise the next day when I tried to close the account 2 items that had cleared the day before were now showing pending therefore I was told to call back the following day. When I tried to close the following day Wells F had added an overdraft fee of $35.00 for me closing the account at the branch location.

Today (day 3 of this HELL) the $35.00 overdraft fee was removed however they now show a negative balance of $5.76, the same $5.76 that was left in the savings to cover this supposedly overdraft fee. For the past 72+ hours I have tried to close this account I have been insulted by members over the phone and even asked if the transactions were fraudulent that had cleared my account. This is a horrible bank, and now I know why they are in the news as such. I would rate them -10000 Stars if possible. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, HORRIBLE BANK AND HORRIBLE TO ANY AND ALL VETERANS.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I did not get all of my money when I used a Wells Fargo ATM. Immediately called Wells Fargo. Immediately went to their neighboring ATM since I needed the remainder of the funds. At the time I wasn't super concerned - certainly mistakes happen and they would remedy it, right? I had to call Wells Fargo back 2 more times over the next few weeks (they never called me back as promised each time). FINALLY someone told me that it had to be handled through the fraud department of my own bank.

My own bank did an "investigation" and told me that they - along with Wells Fargo - had concluded that I had indeed gotten all of my funds. When I asked for what proof Wells Fargo provided, my bank stated that Wells Fargo simply sent documentation saying that it never happened. That is all they had to say. The security video of me looking perplexed; the record of me taking out funds immediately afterwards in the amount of what I claimed to be missing (as well as a SECOND ATM fee); my record of calls to Wells Fargo, especially immediately after I counted my money - none of that matters. I was asked if I have any additional proof that I did not get my funds. What proof could I possibly have? I would not lie about the funds, especially just $50. It is sad how easy it for banks to take your money as a result of their own error, and you can do absolutely nothing about it.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Our business has used the Wells Fargo no-interest financing program for several years. We are selling our business and when I contacted them to say we would be closing our account in about 8 weeks, they did an immediate 2-day termination, which means we cannot offer financing these next 8 weeks. They would not even consider allowing us to keep the account open because "the risk is much higher that a customer will dispute a charge", blah, blah, blah. I told them if they would look at our account history, we have NEVER had a purchase disputed, not even on our regular credit card processing which is thousands of transactions in the 11 years we have been in business. And, the last WF transaction I was allowed to process was on May 8. Today is the 14th and the funds still have not been deposited into our account.

They are living up to their already horrible reputation and I am highly recommending that the people who are buying our business DO NOT USE WELLS FARGO. There are other, much more customer-friendly no-interest options out there. I have had numerous customers refuse to apply for financing because they wanted nothing to do with Wells Fargo. I will never use WF for anything in the future, personally or professionally, and will tell everyone I know how customer-UNfriendly they are.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I was call by Wells Fargo Credit Card dept saying that someone tried to change my address, they wanted to know if it was me. I told them it wasn't me & I had not lost the card or loan it out to anyone. I had to go into the bank and take my ID and change my security word, whoever this person was they had my: my name, SS#, DOB and my security word that only I knew. Long and short of the story, I change the security word, but somewhere among Wells Fargo employees they didn't log the information in correctly, having me go into the local bank a total of six times to correct this only to go back again and again on a broken foot that was trying to heal.

Whoever stole the credit card information tried to put in application with other banks, I had to freeze my credit reports and on and on the story goes. I feel that someone from inside Wells Fargo stole that information, used it or sold it. Everyone I spoke to, even the different credit unions that I am a member of said the situation was weird. Because of how I was treated I closed the credit card down. As soon as I can find another bank to handle this type of account that I have with Wells Fargo I will closed this checking account down with them as well.

Original review: May 11, 2019

In line at the pharmacy. My card declined. Told me that one of their staff made an error and they could not reopen my card but I will get a new one in 7 days. Well we could opened for this purchase then we are closing it and you will have to redo all your accounts.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Bank is scam. They overcharge you, will overdraft fees and hold your money for them to take it, its all comes back to them for paying charges you have no idea you are being charge with. I have other friends who have used Wells Fargo and left. Been with them for more than 8 years and am very disappointed with this bank. PLEASE PLEASE stay away from them.

Original review: May 9, 2019

We got a Wells Fargo Home Project Loan to do some repairs around our home. Process was simple to get the loan and payments were set to our liking. About a 1 1/2 years later we added another project to our loan for 2979.00 which increased our payments around 125.00 per month. In about 2 months we paid back the 2979.00 but Wells Fargo stated they would not decrease our payments back down to our original amount even though we have never been late or missed a payment. I just saying be aware they will not decrease your payments if you add to your Home Project Loan and pay it back early.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I attempted to secure a home mortgage loan from W.F. 5219 Richmond Ave. Houston TX on or about April 1st, 2019. The loan officer said he could provide me with an interest rate of 4.25%, 20% down with no fees. I was told his supervisor would have to approve. I was contacted via email and informed that the supervisor gave his approval. I was asked to come in and sign disclosures and pay for the appraisal. I signed the disclosures and $550 was debited from my credit card for the appraisal. Two days later the loan officer advised that I would need to put 30% down to get the 4.25% rate.

I told him to cancel the transaction, I could not afford the 30% down. Wells Fargo has only credited $455 to my credit card. To date I have not received my $95.43 and in addition one of the senior representative called and informed me that I would not get $15 for the credit check. That goes to a third party. So Where is my $80.43. I have been a faithful Wells Fargo customer for more than 20 yrs. I am truly disappointed with the mortgage department in Houston Texas.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Here we go again, another Wells Fargo clandestine promotion scheme. This time it is Zelle -- an affiliated company that facilitates money transfers. The ad appeared on my online opening account page. I could not get rid of it. Research led me to learn that only WF's online tech support can delete this privacy preference. Note the irony here. The choice is theirs, not mine. Tech support told me it takes 10 to 60 days to delete this ad. The underhandedness of this tactic of inserting ads to my online account is unbelievable.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I am VERY UPSET with over 100$ being taken out of my account in OVERDRAFT FEES. I been with Wells Fargo close to four years. I was charged for three transactions I had money in my bank for. There are two additional payments that are still in PENDING STATUS in which they merged them one in which was a 1$ payment that I made May 6 around 8 pm. The next morning I put 365$ in my account in which I was only expecting 125 be taken out. They took an additional 100 in OVERDRAFT FEES for three transactions two that are still in PENDING MODE. I feel ripped off. I would like for my money to be returned to my account. There was no email or NOTHING MENTIONING ANY OVERDRAFT FEES BEING CHARGED.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I've been with Wells Fargo for about a year now and have had nothing but problems with this bank. They pretty much steal money from you by charging you twice for a transaction that was already cleared the day before and was posted that it was cleared on the online banking app. I wouldn't recommend this bank unless you like paying for things more than once! Worse bank I've ever been with. If you want a good bank, go with a credit union like Railroad, they won't steal from you.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I had dinner Wednesday night and came time to pay the bill. I paid with my Wells Fargo card not knowing there was a block because of some weird robo hotel bills. I called. Gave them every answer to the 20 questions they asked then they asked me some verbal password I set up in 2003. I didn’t know it, so asked what else we could do. They passed me to their “supervisor”. Turns out they couldn’t do anything so they passed me to their “SUPERVISOR” some woman with the last name **. She was terrible. After 49 minutes on hold with no answers she told me not to talk about my account in public.... I couldn’t leave the restaurant, used very obvious and ridiculous stall tactics and insulted me. Needless to say this experience has lead me to open checking and my upcoming car loan elsewhere. Also once my credit card is paid I’m out.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Wells Fargo stole $60,000 from my company. I have a contract for the work we did to a property they foreclosed on. They decided not to pay on the contract and lied about where my money is. The insurance companies always put the mortgage co name on claims checks. As homeowners it’s time we demand this practice end. Had they not foreclosed the homeowner would have been responsible for our bill. Please bank with a small, local bank or credit union.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Wells Fargo the worst bank ever. I have almost 1year and more than 30 people that I have been talking to to resolve my mortgage problem. Nobody cares. They pass me to a new person every time and I have to explain myself again and again. Worst, worst, worst bank ever. The issue by the way never resolved.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have had an account with them since a year and these cheats are one of the worst banks ever. They have no reason and they close the debit card without any Prior notice then they start the card after I dispute as I was genuine and again in a month they close your account. I had certain disputes with Uber as I had lost my card. They give you credit and then they close your account. Why in the world you give credit if it's not genuine and that's all they say. It's a business decision, they surely misuse the term business as I so wish they understand the word business ever. They will try and harass you to the core. One of the worst banks with the worst service ever... Trust me guys. Do not open any accounts with this 0 rated bank. They have all the worst reasons available.

Original review: May 1, 2019

What happened to true companies that you enjoyed being a customer. I haven't had one call from these people that I haven't gotten off the phone in tears. They claim that I didn't make payments, my bank statement says I did and it cleared. Where is my money going. (Stephanie)

Original review: April 30, 2019

Opened 6 accounts with them based on a clear promise that there would be NO FEES charged therein without any care or concern for the interest paid herein. I started noticing charges here and there and finally ended up closing all my accounts due to NUMEROUS charges for various reasons; some of which that did not even pertain to me or every utilized!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I receive wire/ach transfer periodically from Wells Fargo, from a customers account. This wire is deposited into my external account and I am notified through an email. Recently this email address changed and I needed Wells Fargo to update that address. What a nightmare. Two Wells Fargo employees on the phone, and neither of them could understand the process. They wanted my personal account information...I don't have an account with Wells Fargo. They are the ones sending money into my account with another bank. Neither of them had a brain in their head. 35 minutes later I had to just hang up. I gave them the remittance advise information, told them the Wells Fargo email address it was coming from...and still CRICKETS!!! This is why Wells Fargo has the reputation they do....

Wells Fargo expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.

• Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.

• Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.

• Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.

• Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.

• Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.

• Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.

• Best for: Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg