1.65/5

2451 Wells Fargo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Ok normally my check is deposited every Monday without fail, but this past Monday the 17th my employer got word that one of his tenants committed suicide and he has to take of that, but my check would be deposited Tuesday morning! Now mind you I put $800 in the account from Friday 14th to Sunday 16th. All was cash in hand and it covered any transactions I might have had but come Monday I had six different overdraft fees even though ALL TRANSACTIONS were covered! When they posted deposits they made sure to post the six fees before my deposits. How are you going to tell me that the fees that were applied the 17th hit before my CASH deposits on the 14th and the 16th? Needless to say I was in the negative due to those fees! I would even be $50 in the good if they weren’t charging me $35 even though they had cash in hand!!!

I would STAY AWAY from WELLS FARGO! They will take your money and make you feel like you done something wrong! You don’t just have our money! You have our house payment, grocery bill for our children, medical and dental for our children, car payments, insurance payments, utilities, daycare fees all at hand! These “FEES” as you call it takes all that! You are in fact stealing from the very citizens that keep you running! Been a loyal customer for over three years but I am currently looking into a new bank because Lord knows this isn’t the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd time them doing this to me! We as citizens trust you Wells Fargo to provide a safe and Secure place to hold our personal property and you have failed to do so!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I got paid paid my bills, grocery shopped. All of a sudden I get an email about my rent payment not going through when I had the money in my account. I have contacted Wells Fargo 3x and they gave my $35.00 insufficient fund fee back but they aren't trying to return my $677.55. I escalated the call to the supervisor who wasn't of any assistance now to a caseworker but they all are trying to deny the discrepancy. They are a horrible bank and customer service sucks. I have only been with this bank for a month and I'm going back to my credit union. Never bank with a computer who refused to take accountability.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

My first ever bank account was through WF. I had a single account with them. I switched to Chase over 4 years ago because I was not happy with how WF claimed to "help" me with my savings and such. 4 years later I'm receiving letters with multiple account numbers (I only had ONE SINGLE ACCOUNT) claiming I owed them money. These ** don't deal with me for 4 years and then out of the blue they start claiming I owe money for accounts I never had??? Just proves these fat cats are full of crap.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

We have had a checking account with Wells Fargo since last July, and kept it in good standing. Our new employer, a well-known corporation, issued our first paychecks to us last week as paper checks. We deposited them in the ATM, as a teller at that WF branch in Greensboro, GA recommended we do. The checks were both under $1000, but Wells Fargo placed the deposit on hold, saying we could not get our money for 11 days while the "suspicious activity was being reviewed." We called the 800 number, and they said to go to the branch. We went to the branch, and the manager said the hold was placed by the "back office" and she could not do anything about it, and to call the 800 number.

We were furious! There was no consideration given to us for having been good customers, no human, common sense appreciation for all the proof we brought them that we are actually employees of the company that gave us our paychecks! Then I had to scream at the person on the phone to get it escalated. The escalation guy said it was our company's bank that told them our checks were fraudulent, which is not the case, as verified by our HR department. It's just a game to these liars, who have no regard for their customers. We are taking our business elsewhere. Don't let this happen to you. Do not bank with Wells Fargo!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Today Wells Fargo essentially did the same to me. I deposited money from Cash app into the account yesterday. The funds were available and transactions were posted to my account. I made a few small purchases for food and gas. As of today, my account was overdrafted and all transactions and records of this deposit are removed from the entire system. They escalated it all the way to the executives office and was told there’s no record of this transaction. Yet out of the 8 people I spoke to today, two of them told me they see that the transaction occurred and then reversed back to Cash app. There is no record of this with Cash app. Essentially, the money was deposited and the transactions all erased (except for the purchases I made and the overdraft fee they’re now charging me.).

If I was rich, and this were much more money than it is, I would sue the ** out of Wells Fargo and go to the newspapers with my story. However I’m a recent poor college grad and I now just simply have no money for ramen noodles this week. I’m telling everyone I know about my experience with Wells Fargo. This bank is conducting unethical, illegal, and simply evil business. Do not by any means use this bank a day in your life. PNC is a decent option. I’m heartbroken and hungry. I hate you Wells Fargo.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Do Not Use this financial institution. I was just a victim of financial fraud with the help of Wells Fargo. A check (out of state) I deposited Sept. 4th 2018 turned out to be a fraudulent check issued to me by a company I thought I was working for. Wells Fargo made the funds available in my account prior to clearing the properly check because as they claim, "I am a valued customer and as a courtesy, they made the funds available before doing their due diligence." Thinking the check cleared, I withdrew the funds to make purchases for said company on Sept. 5th. The next evening, I receive an email and text stating that the check was returned. I have overdraft protection; first going to my credit card then to my savings. I was charged overdraft protection fees and a return item fee.

Since I was a valued customer with no overdraft from the time of opening the account, no late payments with excellent credit history, they protected me from fraud by making the funds available before they properly cleared the check. Then turned around overdrafted my account for the funds from the returned check. Thank you for enabling criminals to work the system and helping them achieve their goals. Thank you for protecting your valued customer and keeping my financial security above your own. I have no means of chasing this on my own, thank you for your services as a financial institution that have the resources to protect customers from fraud. And finally, thank you Wells Fargo for your business practice of accountability and passing the financial loss to your "Valued Customer". DO NOT USE THIS FINANCIAL INSTITUTION. Wells Fargo only protects themselves.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I opened an IRA account to hold my stocks from a previous employer and choose Wells Fargo because they didn't have any fees until you actually sold the stocks. 12 months later I receive an invoice in the mail for $250 for an "2018 Outside Investment Fee" which I have never heard of, none of the paperwork mailed has this Annual Fee and this was never mentioned in any of the numerous calls with their representatives. I specifically choose this bank because they were not charging any fees and now I'm paying for it. DO NOT TRUST! THEY WILL SCAM YOU!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Purchase two Certificate of Deposit to invest in our two children’s future... CD’s $1,060.99 each. With the understanding that each should have auto renewal every 6 months at $5.28 annual rate of interest starting from the date of 12/29/1997. We suddenly stopped getting account statements around 1998… the bank changed hands several times during this time. I kept the original CD’s in the original envelopes put away in Norwest Bank safety deposit box before transferring them to a personal home safe.

My daughter visited Wells Fargo's north office (with CD in hand) and spoke with Rigoberto ** where she was informed that there was no record of the CD. She was prompted to go to Indiana Unclaimed.org. website to check. After being notified by Indiana Unclaimed there was no record of it being transferred to them. Which should have been the procedure if for some reason they could not get in touch with me. I still reside at the same residence and have the same telephone number. No reason they would not be able to get in touch with me.

Also, I had saving, checking and investments accounts with them until recently after they started getting a bad reputation. Received letter stating I need to present evidence within the last 7 years. I stop receiving statements and notifications in or around 1998 when Norwest Bank merged with Wells Fargo Banks. Impossible for me to present any additional evidence. I previously presented them with what evidence I had on hand...my original CD in the original envelope it came in. I do not know what else to do and my daughter is devastated. We were told the bank has no idea how I have the original CD... There was no way I cashed it in prior. You are required to present the CD to them when cashing in.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Last month I went to the Wells Fargo bank on Seventh Street here in DC as I usually do to withdraw money for my rent. When the banking supervisor Kyra asked me if I needed anything else I told her I was going to get a money order at the post office because it was cheaper. She then claimed she would "waive" the fee for me. Because I was familiar with her and implicitly trusted her, I didn't bother looking at the transaction receipt; which I always keep for reviewing at the end of each month to correlate my receipts with my transaction history. When I looked at, I saw she HADN'T waived the fee but included it as part of the withdrawal for the cost of the money order. She BLATANTLY LIED to me!

This is the SECOND time I have experienced a case of BANKING FRAUD from Wells Fargo and the first was FAR MORE SERIOUS... involving FELONY check- cashing FRAUD of one of my stolen Social Security Disability checks!! Perhaps Wells Fargo doesn't want its customers to know HOW IT'S CHEATING THEM anymore because it has removed its customer comments forum from its website. Now all you can do is ask questions. I would like to know WHY I was LIED to??

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Back in the beginning of August, I received a letter from Wells Fargo stating that my insurance had been canceled for non-payment and that WF was going to issue their own insurance which is more expensive if I do not take care of this matter. Wells Fargo escrows my insurance and taxes. This is the 3rd time they have failed to pay my insurance on time. When I called them they said they would check into it and get back to me. I also told them I wanted to cancel them escrowing my money and I would pay my own insurance on time.

They never got back to me and I just received another letter from them telling me that I better look into Tower Hill because they canceled me as of August 2nd, even though it had been paid in full, and WF was going to issue their own insurance if I do not get my own. I called my insurance company and they said no such thing had happened and I am in good standing with the insurance company. I left another message today. I have been doing business with Wells Fargo since they took over the bank that was their prior. My business accounts, personal accounts and credit cards are all with them. I am now looking for a more responsible bank to take my business to.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Had my Wells Fargo credit card number stolen. I called, they stopped that card and gave the replacement cards to the guy that stole them. They let him activate them and use them again. Wells Fargo gave me new cards again and I put them in my desk draw. They were used and I never used that card once. They will give you your money back but no help to improve the problem. Do not use Wells Fargo ever.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have paid Wells Fargo on time and in amount of amounts due on my home project loan, but they still play games with late fees and refuse to recognize payments both in advance of due date and in excess of amounts due. I requested help from customer service to no avail. They intentionally set up loans unfairly to generate late fee revenue. Wells Fargo has no integrity as an institution.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Did not endorse a check for mobile deposit. Called customer service and told them that the check was on hold and their response was they couldn’t do anything about it and had to wait two weeks for it to go through verification process. So A few days later I called customer service again and one of the representative had told me to bring the check that I mobile deposited to a local branch. That they would be able to deposit it into my checkings, and it would push through the hold. The only thing that I didn’t do in the first place was sign the back of the check. Anyways, so I go into the local bank of Wells Fargo and the banker was able to push it through and I had about 40% of the check deposited into my checkings. They said that 60% of it would be transferred at midnight or the next day.

Next day, I check my account summary on the Wells Fargo app and I have zero balance. Now, there was a hold for double the amount of the check. Called customer service again and they said that the check was deposited twice and it was from the same check therefore they pulled it and put it on hold for verification process again. This time I had to wait another two weeks before it is able to go through, or they would send the check back in two weeks. She was saying that if I had waited the first time then there wouldn’t be another two weeks. So the representative is telling me that not a person can verify my checks and that I would have to wait it out. At this point I’m frustrated so she directs me to a supervisor. The supervisor then transfers me to a customer service team director or someone that represents one of their teams.

She tells me that the person who told me to go to the bank was not suppose to do so. And Now after all this time of calling customer service, talking to the supervisor (barely) and then another team member from Wells Fargo, that I wasted my time on the phone and wasted my time for days for no outcomes of my check being deposited, just because I did not sign the back of my check for mobile deposit. I requested to delete my account and told one of the lady that I will be opening a bank account with Bank of America. She told me that every bank institute is that way and that there’s no need to do so, and if I do decide to then they will be happy to do so. I have been with Wells Fargo since 2017.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have had a wells Fargo credit card for 5 years, originally for the purpose of building up my credit after a divorce. I have always paid in full every month, sometimes I pay twice a month. I have never had a late fee and I have never paid any interest. For the last 2 months Wells Fargo has not credited my payments that were taken from my bank account for 5 days after paying the card. I use this card for the sole purpose of not having to take cash out of the bank. I believe they are holding my payments to try and get a service charge from me. I will be paying this card off for the last time and will get American Express instead.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I've signed up for this many times. Nothing but troubles, headaches and aggravation! Keep have to make new accounts. Local branch is no help. "You have to do that yourself." If online banking is a must for you do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

If I could give them 0 stars I would! My company's 401k account is with them and I have had the same experience on 2 separate occasions. I requested a loan from my 401k account. Can never get the check delivered in a timely manner. There is a $50 service charge to process the "loan" but I have had to wait weeks to receive the check. They have a direct deposit option, however if your banking institution is not in their vast system of less than 30 banks then this option is not available. I have already made a payment on my loan and have yet to receive the funds. This is by far the worst banking institution in our Country and possibly the world. How Wells Fargo has remained in business for over 100 years is beyond me. If I had a choice in this matter I would chose a different company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

A couple of months ago I noticed four charges made on my checking account which I didn’t make. When I went to my branch office they said my son wrote checks or did online charging. After sitting in the bank for three hours and then filing fraudulent charges I was issued a new checking account. MY SON REFUTED WHAT THE BANK STATEMENT ALLEGED! Today, another incompetent employee gave my son my account balance instead of his when he called to check HIS balance. I would love to bank elsewhere but I fear they’re all alike.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Autopay settings are hidden in menus and do not notify you when a payment is sent, only posted. My credit card balance was zero yet still triggered a minimum autopay from my checking account. At the time My checking account was zero because I moved my funds to a better (and much more understanding) bank. Wells Fargo WILL NOT refund overdraft fees on autopay even if the payee balance was initially zero. Customer service said that they could not refund the overdraft but they could refer me to a 'specialist' who could help me ensure it doesn't happen again. This respond was incredibly insulting, and leads credence to why Wells Fargo is viewed the scummiest of all banks. Do not bank with this bank. They only view you as some idiot to fleece, not help.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Sent me letter on Friday. Called them. They were like, "Pay 3800 now, we will waive off everything or else 1905 interest is added to your account." I begged them to give me extra day but resulted in nothing.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

They have charged interest on the promotional purchase, before the promotion expires. When call the customer service, their tone was not friendly, and one of their supervisor basically tell me that, I have to pay interest charges, because of their mess up. When I asked for a refund, they simply say no. I am not going to do business with Wells Fargo again.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I was charged a $150 inactivity fee on my business credit card even though I posted transactions on the account. I phoned Wells Fargo and was able to get it waived but banker informed me going forward I would have to charge $5,000 or pay $500 interest. To me this is beyond legal practice, basically, they want their fees regardless and they will continue to hike the minimum charges to some ridiculous amount to legitimize the fees they collect from you. How is Wells Fargo any different than loan sharks?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

They are never available to fix any issue that is at their own fault, the customer service people are usually always idiots, they don’t make anything right, they hold your money for 4 days if you deposit after 9 pm & if you deposit a check on the weekend don’t expect to get ANY of your money before the next 3 days. They are a horrible bank and I can’t wait till they open on Monday so I can close my account and take my business elsewhere. I wish I didn’t even have to give one star.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

DO NOT BANK W/ THESE PEOPLE! I had been with Wells Fargo for 8 years, in 2017 I had some major medical issues so I closed out my credit card and made arrangements to pay it off. I agreed to 33% of each payment would go to interest, after I paid 12 payments the interest doubled to 66%. Unfortunately I'd already paid 8 payments at 66% until I realized this, crazy. I went to the bank to see if they would lower my balance if I settled and they said no and I should have read the fine print and it was on me. They then wanted me to make another payment plan, I'm taking a loan out from another bank Monday to pay it off and changing banks. There's a lot of information out there on how bad this bank is, so stay away people, be afraid of how they operate!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

WELLS FARGO IS THE WORSE BANK EVER. Do not bring your business there. They just stealing people's money. If you make a mistake and end up with an overdraft, they turn everything around and make one overdraft become 6, 7, 8. Since I never had an overdraft I thought they would do something about it. I called and the representative told me that she can only return $26. I think I would slap her or spit on her face if she was next to me. That was so disrespectful because I did not go to them and begging. I was trying to get back the money they stole from me by turning one overdraft to 6. That is why there's so many lawsuits against them, I hope they lose them all. RUN RUN RUN from Wells Fargo. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

My name is Natalie **. It is with tears that I am writing this letter. I have been a member of Wells Fargo on-and-off for many years. I have also been a member of Bank of America, however, there is no comparison to Wells Fargo. I don't care what anyone says. I am speaking base on my experience with both banks. Wells Fargo has helped me out more than even my family members. I have had many financial emergencies, such as, utility bills, credit cards with revolving payments. I was unable to pay these bills. Even though the money was not there they paid it anyway. And am not just talking about one time, it happen on several occasions. I was at my wit's end in debt. I hit rock bottom and had no money to pay my bills. Wells Fargo believed in me. I will never leave them for another bank. I had Bank of America for several years, and NEVER had they done this for me or anything of that sort.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have recently received overdraft charges and didn't understand why. I called Wells Fargo and it was explained to me that if I used my bank card and make a purchase on the 1st of the month let's say for $30, my available balance shows $30 deducted. And let's say my balance was $200, after the purchase I see my available balance as $170. 2 days later I pay a bill for $50 because I know that I have money in my account to cover. What this bank does per their representative, if the merchant doesn't process the payment ($30) by the end of the business day, they change your available balance back to $200. You basically have to check your account every day to see if payments have posted and check your balance.

Most merchants systems don't post same day and I asked why they would put money back if they see the purchase made and was told they aren't allowed to hold money. Also asked why not leave the balance showing the $30 payment, no response. Long story short, they take money out, put it back, take out, put back and you end up over drafted because you think your balance is actually what you see when checking available balance. When the $30 is put back it doesn't show as a pending transaction, it doesn't show anywhere and this is how I found out what they were doing.

If you have multiple transactions you have to remember where they were and check to see if each one posted. The merchant will process the payment maybe 3-4 days later but if you have spent funds not knowing the bank didn't post originally, you're screwed. I've been a member since 2007 and have never been happier to change banks. They don't realize that in this economy everyone can't afford their foolery and as a single parent every penny counts. It's really sad that they think it's ok to cheat consumers.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

As a client of Wells Fargo since 1984, (it says so right on my ATM card) I needed the bank I was loyal to to work for me. I needed a bank account for my new NUTRIENT company. The bank won't open account for "my kind of business" which is legal in all states of America and regulated by the FDA and approved for shipping by USPO. I NEVER bounced a check or overdrafted an account. I provided every single document they required including statements from CA secretary of state, CA franchise tax board, articles of incorporation. They have not provided written reason for rejecting my application AS REQUIRED OF THEM BY LAW. This is the same bank who received the largest fine on record for opening accounts without customer approval. So be aware of their practices, they don't care about customers. Avoid the mistakes I made trusting in them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Wells Fargo may be the worst business I have ever had to deal with - they make it virtually impossible for their Customer Service people to help their customers. I haven't jumped through this many hoops since I was 7. WELLS FARGO - Please let me know how I can pay what I owe you, and get you out of my life (AGAIN), hopefully forever. When I try to enroll on YOUR site, at the link YOU gave me, it tells me I don't exist in your system. I was a Wells Fargo customer for over 6 years - the reason I broke up with you is besides the incredible amount of class action lawsuits against you, your online presence was not managed well (and be 'not well' I mean horribly), and I have to jump through hoops every time I want to deal with you.

I am stuck in the unfortunate position that your bank is the one my mattress company uses for its "6 months same as cash" deal. BELIEVE ME, I did not know it was Wells Fargo when I agreed to the loan, or I would have gone elsewhere for my mattress, and my loan. Be that as it may, we are stuck with each other again. I would like to pay you and be done with all this nonsense. Please, let me know where I can pay you since neither your website, nor you app, will allow me to create an account, and neither recognize my current account. When I call the number YOU provided, I get a recording telling me how much I owe, and by when, BUT NOT WHERE TO SEND IT. Do you have a physical address I can mail it to? Is this okay: Wells Fargo & Company Headquarters: 420 Montgomery St., San Francisco, CA 94104??? Let me know.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Wells Fargo contacted me regarding a pre-approval for a personal for up to $45,000.00. I am currently in the middle of starting a new business franchise located in North Georgia. Went through the process and Wells Fargo denied the personal loan and could not give a logical reason. I have been with Wells Fargo for 10+ years and have perfect credit. Here is the funny part, my bank Wells Fargo would not loan me $1.00 and I have more money in my money market account than the requested loan amount. Also everything I own is paid for except my truck payment. Based on this experience and ALL current accounts with Wells Fargo will be closed ASAP along with all family members attached to Wells Fargo. I will also make it a point to never refer Wells Fargo and will advise any current Wells Fargo customer to seek other financial institutions for their banking needs. It is unbelievable no dollar amount was approved.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I am a Wells Fargo customer since 1986. I have a permanent address in the US with my sister. I live in Mexico now 4 years. I have had my ATM card hacked twice and stolen twice. Wells Fargo has the worst customer service. On each occasion they have failed to act promptly, appropriately and truthfully. The Customer service center has no records of your prior calls on a problem. They cannot see how a conversation went and the action taken by a prior supervisor. A supervisor can tell you they will expedite a card but they fail to tell you a computer program will cancel that request and no supervisor can override it. You are not aware it is not expedited. If they tell you they will expedite a card and you can call the next day for the tracking number, forget it, the card is in ‘process’ and may take 2-3 days to be sent. Again, no information regarding who you last spoke with or that it was stated it would be sent FedEx, their preferred carrier.

The reps say things about their procedure and what should happen but no details about what did happen on YOUR account. Twice they sent a replacement card through USPS regular mail to me in Mexico. I will never see that card. Unless you have lost money do not go through the fraud department. They are more concerned about themselves than you. Just cancel the card and ask for another. Oh, and when your home person sends the card to you instruct them to say it is a letter and make NO mention it is a credit card. Insist it is a letter. There is a law that credit cards cannot be sent by an individual via express mail services like FedEx. Seriously. If you are out of the country, have the card sent to your permanent address and have THAT person send it express. NO other way works no matter what a ‘supervisor’ tells you.

Wells Fargo expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.

• Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.

• Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.

• Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.

• Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.

• Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.

• Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.

• Best for: Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg