2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.3/5 (970 ratings)

About Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Pros

• Free online banking and mobile app
  • Free money transfers
  • Large selection of financial products

Cons

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

Top Wells Fargo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Wells has always been responsive to questions and issues, both online and through my local bank. Their fraud department is first rate. When my credit card was compromised, they re...

Verified

What is Wells Fargo Bank?

Wells Fargo provides banking, investment and mortgage services as well as commercial and consumer financing at 7,600 locations in 32 countries and territories around the globe. Wells Fargo mobile banking gives customers the ability to link their checking, savings, credit card and investment accounts all in one place. Customers can also deposit checks from their phones with the Wells Fargo app.

Wells Fargo financial services

Wells Fargo offers multiple products and services, including checking, savings accounts, credit cards and loans.

Wells Fargo checking accounts
Wells Fargo has five different options for personal checking accounts — Everyday, Preferred, Portfolio, Teen and Opportunity. Businesses can select from Simple, Choice Platinum and Analyzed checking accounts. Most personal and business checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.
Wells Fargo savings accounts and CDs
Wells Fargo offers two savings account options, Way2Save and Platinum Savings. Wells Fargo also offers CDs, which require at least a $2,500 minimum opening deposit. CDs are available at fixed rates and step rates.
Wells Fargo loans
Wells Fargo offers multiple loan types, including student loans, auto loans and mortgage loans to help you buy, refinance or renovate a home. The bank offers low-APR personal loans and lines of credit ranging from $3,000 to $100,000. Wells Fargo also provides loans and lines of credit for businesses.
Wells Fargo credit cards
Wells Fargo has several credit card options. Almost all Wells Fargo cards have a cash back or reward program, and a few have no annual fee.
Wells Fargo retirement services
Wells Fargo offers traditional and Roth IRAs. You can also invest in mutual funds and manage your portfolio yourself or with the help of a Wells Fargo investment professional. The WellsTrade Mutual Fund Screened Listed makes investing simple by pre-screening mutual funds. Wells Fargo Advisors, a full-service brokerage, is available to customers to help with investment planning. You can also invest directly online and automate your investing through the Wells Fargo Intuitive Investor.
Wells Fargo merchant services
Wells Fargo makes running a business easy with payment processing that allows you to accept card payments onsite, online or wherever you might be. Mobile payments are available for Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay. Wells Fargo benefits for business owners also include Clover point-of-sale systems customized fit your business needs.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: June 9, 2021

The easiest of deposits and transfers from accounts. Also everything is on one page I have 5 accounts can see and work with all of them. Including credit card accounts and personal loans. Direct deposit is very easy. And you are protected from fraud. No need to call them anymore because you can chat 24/7 with a real person. I know that it's a brick and mortar type bank but I never go to the back for anything. No charge for checking and no charge for saving as long as you have $300.00 or more in the account. All in all pretty awesome???

Original review: June 1, 2021

I've been with Wells Fargo for years, over 20 in fact. I've never had a problem that Wells Fargo couldn't fix. Have had one bad experience with a nasty customer service representative, but other than that one incident, I've been treated with respect. Courteous people, and very professional. I will not be changing banks. I'm quite satisfied with Wells Fargo and the service they provide me. In my opinion Wells Fargo is the greatest bank there is. I will continue to stay with them, probably until the day I pass away. I'm very pleased with Wells Fargo.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I wanted to give a big shout out to Ms. Mame ** -- Georgia Ave, SS Branch! Mame always goes above the call of duty when I ask for assistance. Recently, I was in to replace my debit card along with another issue. She never makes you feel rushed. She's very patient and explains things in detail. She constantly wiped down her area due to COVID. That's a big deal in today's world. Once the process was over, she was reassuring everything was going to go well. Though it was one of the busiest time of the year, Christmas. Surely enough, in seven days my issues were resolved. Last but not least she is so respectful and professional! I want her to know how much I appreciate her... so please share this with her.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

These guys are the best banking institution we have ever worked with. They protect your account fiercely and provide you the tools to manage your money wisely. Additionally they have removed fees throughout the years that many other institutions continue to charge. They have embraced modern security solutions such as the as yet cracked AES encryption methods on your bank transactions and easily forgive overdraft fees, especially when you put money into your account the within a day or so. Local branches have personal touches and staff that don't push you to do anything at all. They will however give you the options if you ask for them so you don't have to go looking for them.

Finally, I have never had a reason to mistrust them on my accounts. Many people have said demeaning things about them but from my experience it has always been from a decade or so ago and usually are third party accounts. Am I fan? You bet I am. I actively sought out a way to leave this review because I believe they are the best model of a modern banking institution that knows what is important for families and individuals.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Wells Fargo inherited the banks I used. When Fidelity became Wachovia, I was business traveling often. I needed national access when traveling which is the reason why I open the account at Wachovia. When they became Wells Fargo, I kept the account due to national access. At this moment they do satisfy my needs. I did have a poor experience several years ago with their investment group. The person who help me had less knowledge than I had and pointed me into several funds that did not serve my purpose. For the most part I would recommend them. I rarely these days go into the bank. Either I use the online services or the ATM.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I have been with Wells Fargo for more than twenty years, the banking service is reasonably good, but the online banking log-in service is so bad, a report of the log-in problems will take 10 days to respond if they respond at all. The login setup doesn't work, no matter how many times you change the password, it will not let you log in. Wells Fargo needs a better IT service.

Original review: July 20, 2021

I have banked with Wells Fargo for several years now. I have deposited 2 checks from a different bank, and Wells Fargo made the funds available for 4 days then placed a “hold“ on both checks, which in return put my bank account in the hole By HUNDREDS of dollars! When I called customer service, they basically transferred me to 3 different people that could not help me, nor would they return any of the money or fees I had over placing the hold after 4 days of the funds being cleared! I literally have to take the check, drive to the bank the check came from, then drive back to Wells Fargo and deposit the cash in order to get my account out of the hole! Biggest inconvenience ever! This is the second time Wells Fargo has done this to me! They refuse to clear the check until a week from now!

Original review: July 19, 2021

Only open for minorities. My husband and I own a small business, and did not qualify for EIDL as we had been open for only five months, and you have to submit 12 months of financials to apply. As my husband and I are the only “workers“ of our business, we did not qualify for PPP. Contacted Wells Fargo for the open for business plan and was told it is only for “like, ** or Hispanics.“ I am **. Small business is small business. Covid has no color barriers, but apparently Wells Fargo does.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I had read a warning before I went through the process of applying for a business debit/credit card, but I thought "eh I doubt it's that bad". A few months later, I'm here to report, it is, in fact, that bad. With all the changes that Wells Fargo has been making recently, I wouldn't even be surprised to get an email saying "this is no longer a Wells Fargo product". I feel like they have two employees working in the business debit/credit department handling requests for thousands of applicants. I sent my application and never even got a courtesy "your application has been received". I was ok with it until a month passed by and I'm like "????".

PLUS, they use a secure mail portal that is glitchy, so you truly don't even know if your application went through. If they used a more intuitive email platform, I probably wouldn't even be that upset. However, I feel like there's a good chance that my application got lost in their glitchy email platform. I'm also very tech savvy, but the platform they use is not intuitive at all. I can't imagine less tech savvy people trying to navigate it.

I tried to get in contact with them, but no response. Somehow, they managed to set up an automatic email reminding me that I had until June 12 to finish my application, but as soon as you send in your application, radio silence. I raised this up with Wells Fargo (through my personal account) and their excuse is that they've had an influx of applicants. (Basically, we don't even deserve a courtesy email saying our application is received and how long we should expect to wait around). Anyhow, I've asked to withdraw my application a couple weeks ago, and lo and behold, no response. Don't waste your time trying to get a business debit or credit with Wells Fargo.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I have been trying to get into my account all day to set up my online banking. When I called they told me that my phone number was not the number on the account. Come to find out they had my old number from an closed account, but this is the only way I can verify myself. Who the hell ask you to verify yourself with your phone number. Anyone can have your number so needless to say I can't set up my online banking until I get my bank card. Then turn around and wait another 10 days for the customized one that I want. Now I remember why I left Wells Fargo to began with.

Wells Fargo fees

Wells Fargo’s monthly service fees for checking accounts range from $0 to $30, though service fees are waived for teenagers and college students between 17 to 24 years old. Monthly service fees for business checking accounts range from $10 to $40. The bank charges a $5 or $12 monthly fee on savings accounts. Wells Fargo's checking account fees can be avoided by maintaining a specific average balance or completing a minimum number of transactions each month. Also, expect fees for late credit card payments and overdraft charges unless your checking and savings accounts are linked.

Wells Fargo check cashing fee
    You only have to pay a Wells Fargo Bank fee to cash a check if you don’t have an account. The cost for nonmembers to cash a check at a Wells Fargo bank is $7.50.
    Wells Fargo transfer fee
    It costs $0 to transfer money between Wells Fargo accounts or for bank-to-bank transfer service.
    Wells Fargo overdraft fee
    Wells Fargo charges a $35 overdraft fee per item.
    Wells Fargo ATM fee
    ATM fees are $0 for Wells Fargo customers when they use a Wells Fargo ATM. Cash withdrawals at non-Wells Fargo ATMs are $2.50 each, and account balance inquiries are $2 each.
    Wells Fargo foreign transaction fee
    Wells Fargo’s foreign transaction fees reach up to 3% on some accounts. Outside of the U.S., ATM cash withdrawals are $5 each and ATM accounts transfers are $2 per transfer.
    Wells Fargo cash advance fee
    Wells Fargo’s cash advance fees are up to $12.50 per transaction. Credit advances vary based on the account.

Wells Fargo Bank FAQ

Does Wells Fargo have 24/7 customer service?
    Yes, Wells Fargo has 24/7 customer service available by phone and online.
    Is Wells Fargo a commercial bank?
    Yes, Wells Fargo provides commercial banking services and products for individuals and businesses.
    What states have Wells Fargo banks?
    Wells Fargo has locations throughout the U.S. in all states except Hawaii, Oklahoma, Missouri, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, Louisiana, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massasschetts, Rhode Island and Maine.
    What are Wells Fargo’s dealer services?
    Wells Fargo’s dealer services provide indirect auto financing, commercial products and banking services to auto dealers.
    How old do you have to be to open a bank account at Wells Fargo?
    You can open a Wells Fargo account with a parent or guardian at 13 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to open an account on your own.

Is Wells Fargo a good bank?

Wells Fargo offers many options to handle your financial needs, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investments and loans. Compared to other banks, interest rates and fees are average. Overall, Wells Fargo’s products and services are robust and allow you the convenience to bank however and wherever you like.

Wells Fargo Company Information