3.7/5 (1368 ratings)

About Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Pros

• Free online banking and mobile app
  • Free money transfers
  • Large selection of financial products

Cons

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: March 30, 2022

Do not use Wells Fargo for any type of credit account. I set up my auto payments to pay off the promotion amount 1 month early and not have to stress about the monthly payments leaving me short at the end. I have just learned that I will have to pay over $400 in interest on a 0% deferred interest plan because part of my payments were allocated to another plan of far less value and due 4 months later. When I inquired about it, I was told I have no control over how my payments are applied, so even though I have almost completely paid for my initial purchase, I still owe $800 because a portion of my payments were applied to another promotion and I cannot do anything about it. Even if I wanted to pay off the $800 right now, I would have to pay $800 plus the portion due to the other promotion for the first promotion to be paid off.

Original review: March 25, 2022

They deserve NEGATIVE stars. Wells allows fraud and does nothing to protect their customers money. I was a customer for 27 years and they didn't care about my loyalty. They are a horrible company that allows money to be stolen from students and treat their customers awful. Please do not use this bank. There are so many better choices

Original review: March 24, 2022

Unfortunately I was a victim of the Zelle/Wells Fargo scam. I reported immediately to Wells Fargo. They said they knew about this scam and would put a claim in immediately. After weeks going by I called to see the status and they gave me the run around - said the claim was put in the wrong department when I first called. Then the preliminary amount was refunded to me. Weeks went by and I called back after receiving no word - I was transferred 15 times with no one giving me any information. I then received a letter stating they would be clawing back the money bc they denied my claim. I called again and was told it was put into the wrong department and now a new claim would be opened. They took the money back though. I called again weeks later to see what was going on and again was transferred around with no regard. I spent days on the phone. This happened in January it is now the end of March and I have no idea what is going on.

I have put 3 complaints into Wells Fargo with no action. No one is able to tell me the status of my new claim - but they certainly were able to tell me they were taking the preliminary money they refunded me back. This is my bank of over 20 years and they won’t back me. I went to the local branch and they said they were so sorry and the person helping me who works at WF got the same run around I did - transferred all over and no information gained. I finally filed a police report. I still have no idea what is going on with my claim and I don’t have the time to call back and be transferred 15 times again.

Original review: March 17, 2022

Wells Fargo is the worst bank ever. Yesterday at 9:30 am Tony ** deposited a cashier's check from Navy Federal Credit Union and Wells Fargo put a hold on it until the 25th (next Friday). They claim that they can’t get a hold of anyone at Navy Fed to verify proof of funds on a CASHIER'S CHECK! You are scamming people to make money on the float! Office of the Arizona Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau will receive a complaint and it’s my personal goal to spread this unethical business practice all over social media.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Keep getting offers for personal loan, OK can use some extra help, did an application 754 credit established paid loans mortgage.... Got respond to upload some tax docs, DID IT, got phone call from WF. Rep Christian J offered assistance, said "send me all and I will help." YE OK. All sent, what's now?? 5 business days never picked up phone, never responded to email. I uploaded more docs.... Long story short, they put inquiry on my Experian, loan was approved, docs sent and no one at all responding. CLOWNS. Stay away, from this bank, they only know how to pull credit and no assist with anything after that. Closing all my business and personal accounts. This bank is no go.

Original review: March 11, 2022

We deposited a large check on 3/5 (Wells Fargo claims we deposited it on 3/7, which is a lie) and are not allowed access to our money until 3/16 due to “repeated overdraft charges within six months”. So Wells Fargo is allowed to keep money from our family because we have overdrawn our account in the past, even though everything was paid in a timely manner and we were already charged and paid the overdraft fees? So now we are being punished again?? For what? So Wells Fargo can earn interest on our money? I don’t need another mommy or daddy, just give me my money you thieves.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Wells Fargo can't pay the insurance premium on time with the mortgage and cause my policy to be cancelled and also when you deposit cash they ask for your ID every time as customer. This is **. Not all banks do this.

Original review: March 8, 2022

My local Wells Fargo branch closed and after being Zelle scammed, I've been left on hold for over five hours, then hung up on, and transferred all over and given misinformation several times. Needless to say they are refusing to do anything. So it is now my duty to leave unfavorable reviews everywhere possible including the CFPB, my State's Attorney General's Consumer Fraud Department, and possibly more. There is no remedy by Wells Fargo or Zelle which they are doubling down on and is part of their app. I did not join an online bank, I joined my local bank. That is no longer the case and they are no longer worried about customer service to a person who's been a customer for over 25 years.

Original review: March 2, 2022

I have excellent credit. To pay off my auto loan, I chose Wells Fargo credit card that permitted me to make payments over 18 months (I will only use 6 months) with no fee. I used the check they sent me to pay off the car. I was charged over $160 to use that check! They say it's in the fine print included with my "Welcome" packet. Had I realized I would be charged such a large amount, I would have used other methods or selected a different bank. I am not happy and will not recommend them to anyone else. I am a person who places reviews for good and bad service. This is BAD.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Mark my words: NOTHING works. Nothing. I stayed with Wells Fargo 6 months. Stayed on the phone for hours just to be sent back to square one, so rude customer service, it's crazy. The issues I had: Cards only worked sometimes. Paying online was nearly impossible (depending on the weather? Surely). Enroll in Zelle to transfer money, impossible, error message every time (customer service had no idea what "Verify your identity" meant). Close your account ? Good luck. Hahaha I have through Hell and back with Wells Fargo, I would burn my money in a dumpster before I open a bank account at Wells Fargo again. Avoid at all cost.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

My deceased father had taken out a car loan from Wells Fargo. The loan was paid off years ago. He did not keep any documentation that the loan had been paid. I am the executor of my father's will. I contacted Wells Fargo by phone to obtain a Release of Lien. One would think that I was asking Wells Fargo to provide me with Top Secret information requiring a security clearance. After having submitted all kinds of documentation in response to multiple requests I was told that they will take 7-10 business days to "process" the request that had been pending for weeks and had been reviewed by "legal" who was the department that made the multiple requests for documentation. No explanation was given for the delay.

Customer service refused to ask whether the request could be expedited so that the pending sale of the car could occur before the buyer gave up and went elsewhere. It is in fact easier to obtain a loan from this company than to obtain a simple piece of paper. This from a company which it was reported has engaged in nationwide fraudulent practices in the past.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

My business was defrauded by Zelle scammers and the Wells Fargo fraud department might as well be scammers themselves. We've received four separate case numbers and were assigned to twelve different specialists so far. Each person we have dealt with has had no record of anything the previous "specialist" had done and we had to start all over, only to be told there is yet another person involved and another claim number. This runaround has persisted for three months and we still have not reached any resolution. I firmly believe that the fraud department is a fraud and is not conducting any investigation at all. This treatment of customers is completely unprofessional and unacceptable. Do NOT set up your business account with Wells Fargo unless you like to be treated like dirt.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I have experience over many years with several departments and operations of the bank. I have never experienced fraud but I have experienced, at times, incompetence, unresponsiveness, misinformation, and a lack of helpfulness. On the other hand, I have often had helpful and friendly service, some of it, world class. Your experience may vary, of course. But here is the good, the bad, and the middling of my dealings with them. Securities investment advice and service have been world class. They helped me buy a new house after the bank's mortgage operation mishandled my application for a loan. They found me a bunch of free Social Security money - something they don't earn a commission on! They also helped me find a great CPA firm.

Also, their retail bank tellers have always been friendly and 99% of the time, helpful. But the one time I wanted to speak to a branch manager, he seemed reluctant to take the time. Regarding their branch supervisors, I had occasion to reach out to them twice. One time I got a fantastic response. The other, none. Regarding their corporate call center, I found it unhelpful, plus they gave me incorrect information regarding escalation options. When I finally did escalate to the "Executive Office Case Specialist" of the "Enterprise Complaints Management Office", I could get no call back from the first assigned "Specialist". The second one was good at responding but no more helpful. Theirs is a mouthful of title but they didn't seem to have any real discretionary powers.

I wrote personal letters to both the COO and the CEO about a retail bank issue. Neither one really responded; instead they kicked the can down to the ineffectual, but grand sounding, "Enterprise Complaints Management Office." Given the ever growing scandals at the company (days ago the WSJ said that there is now an accusation of gaming the FINRA arbitrator list), it seems odd to me that I could find no public email address for the CEO's office.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I had fraud on my account and I called Wells Fargo immediately as it happened. Wells Fargo claims the transaction was legitimate even though someone went into my account through cybercrime. They refuse to refund my money.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

Customer service phone processes send customers through endless loops with long wait times at each loop. Most times the rewards link doesn't work and provides a phone number with over a 30 minute wait. One time is forgiven, multiple times not.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

Father passed and had investment account set up in a trust. They have taken so far 4 months to process this transfer. When they have an issue with paperwork they take 20 business days to review an act on new documents. Right now it has been 30 days with no resolution. Do not invest your money here. I have requested to speak to a supervisor 7 times with no call back. Unbelievable terrible customer service.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

A Merchant made an unauthorized charge to my personal account. Wells Fargo closed the claim without telling me and did nothing to fix it. After several hours of speaking to Wells Fargo management (Anna), nothing was resolved and I'm still out $450+ and an overdraft fee. After 10 years, I'll be looking for another bank

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

After several years of being a Wells Fargo Business Banking Customer, slowly all nearby Branches are Closing. November 2021 I received a Mandatory IRS Form from WF stating I have to File with the IRS a Tax Id Number request. Now WF is my Accountant? If I did NOT the letter states they "will withhold my Funds in the Business Checking, approx $25,000.00.Ridiculous as I'm registered in the state I reside as well as licensed so I went to withdraw the Funds. The Teller stated I should leave $25.00 in the Account so I did. One month later the $25.00 was removed for "Checking Account Services". Well, we all know that WF Opened millions of Accounts without the Customers knowledge and paid a $3 Billion Fine, now they are dictating Customers in how to register a Company. Obvious Revenge.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

This is the absolute worse bank. Do not do business with this bank. My auto-payment was deleted, they said my wife did it. She reviewed her browser history and was not in her account the day Wells Fargo said the deletion happened. She filed a complaint with the CFPB in December 2021 and on January 24, 2022 their response was that I deleted the auto-payment. As a business owner, I’m in my Wells Fargo business account daily, so they shifted the blame, with absolutely no proof. I’m now in the process of exploring other financial institutions since this bank cannot be trusted.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

In late November I was a victim of a Zelle scam impersonating Wells Fargo for $1,000. The next day I realized it was a scam and reached out to Wells Fargo. I have opened at least 5 cases since then, even through the executive office and there has been no solution. Last time I was at a Wells Fargo branch they told me I should be reimbursed for this after an investigation happens; however, they keep shutting down my cases. Under EFT regulation E, my case should be covered and I should be reimbursed after the investigation. It has been two months and my case through the executive office has been closed again. Wells Fargo does not even try to reach out to let me know the status of my case, I always have to call and wait to be notified. I have left many voicemails through the executive office number, and they do not return my call. This is not a small amount of money, and my case should be taken more seriously.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have done business with Wells Fargo for many years and most of the services they offer are done in a professional manner. They work to help you any way they can to find the right mortgage, loan, credit card, etc., that's just right for you. Their rates are competitive and offer services for whatever stage of life you're in.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I'd like to change POD on the account. Without any explanations Bank doesn't execute my request. More than 6 months waiting time. Once a month Bank send me letter: we need more time to research. It's unclear what's the type of research Bank execute and why it took so long.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

Wells Fargo is the worst bank ever. Customer service is non existent. My elderly mother lost her debit card on 12/2/2021 and she has not received it as of 1/17/2022. Countless hours has been spent on the phone with different representatives who has shown no willingness to help my mother. I spoke with Jascilla at customer escations and no help or solution given. I asked for a supervisor and was told there are no supervisor and would have to go to a branch to speak with one. I have been stuck in New Orleans without access to my funds since 12/3. Wells Fargo should be ashamed of themselves to treat anyone as such especially an elderly woman. I am totally disgusted and disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

Wells Fargo sent me a survey. If Wells Fargo values my insight, why did they allow me withdraw and close my accounts and leave the store without acknowledging the fact that they are charging me simply for having a Wells Fargo checking account with (that I have had with them since 2017 for an individual account and since I had an account with them under my mother's account)? Since 2020, Wells Fargo had been charging me $10 a month for 25 months and did not show me that I was being charged a monthly service fee until January 7, 2022.

I went to this Wells Fargo location: 6501 Airport Blvd Ste 200, Austin, TX 78752, and spoke to two men there, with the intention that I would get my money back. However, since one of the men (I think he may have been a manager of some type, but I was not sure) had told me that every bank does it (so it makes it okay for Wells Fargo to do it, too, right? Because every bank does it!), and since he tried to get me to stay without simply giving me my money back, I simply agreed to close and withdraw the accounts. I was told that if I wanted to deactivate the debit card, I had to call the number on the back of the card.

The woman I spoke to over the phone asked me why I wanted to deactivate my debit card. I told her that Wells Fargo was taking my money. She asked if this was due to fees or if someone from Wells Fargo was stealing my money. Why is Wells Fargo charging me a fee for having a checking account? Is Wells Fargo doing this as a way to steal money from customers who only use their accounts to receive money, transfer funds, and send money to other people? Is it because I don't finance with them and all that nonsense? I do not owe Wells Fargo a penny, let alone $10, let alone $10 a month for 25 months. Wells Fargo owes me $250. They didn't care that I was being charged money for nothing. They did not care that I have been a customer with them for a long time. I do not owe Wells Fargo money. They owe me $250.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

My husband's Wells Fargo account keeps getting hacked! Wells Fargo provides absolutely no assistance in preventing this over and over... They are unable to protect his business and personal accounts.. He has changed the password 20 times and yes he continues to get hacked... I was just hacked today - what is the problem Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

On December 13th, 2021, I received an email that Wells Fargo had not received the auto payment from my bank. Since the bank had sent a check, it hadn't reached WF yet. (It did later that same day). However, since I was concerned about future payments not being received in time because of US mail delay, I had WF person walk me through setting up an auto payment for them to withdraw funds from bank so I would never be late on a payment.

The same day, Dec 13, 2021 at 12:21 PM, I received confirmation "Thank you for setting up an automatic payment" which states that "Effective 01/13/2022 and then monthly on your due date". Today I received a notice that my 01/13/2022 has not been received. When I called WF, I was told that no automatic payment was set up. I asked for a manager and he told me the same thing. They had no record of it and, I assume, I would be charged a late fee. I asked him to file a complaint on my behalf and wanted an explanation but he seemed quite uninterested. He did not want my copy of confirmation and really didn't seem to care that they have a problem in their system.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I have been a Wells Fargo bank customer for over 18 yrs now. You could have $30 in your account and if a $40 transaction comes through they will return the transaction and charge you a $35 overdraft fee. Either way your account will still be overdrawn and you're paying a extra $35 to their bank. We are still in a pandemic last I checked plus BOA and Chase Bank have cut their overdraft fees $10. Capital One have eliminated the overdraft fee all together. Anyone looking for a good bank to do Business with I would advise Chase BOA or Capital One. I am definitely ending my banking relationship with Wells Fargo. The worst Bank in America.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Wells Fargo is Terrible. Today is 1-11-2022 and I accidentally overpaid them on 12-20-2021 so I called them when I realized. Spoke to a representative. I told her about my overpayment. She said, "Ok I see it, that's a lot of money I have to put that under investigation." I said, "Excuse me have you ever heard of people wanting to be debt free for the New Year that would be me, And just for the record that's not a lot of money. I paid you electronically it was not a check or a money order there is nothing to investigate, Please send me my money." She said it will take 7 to 10 days.

So here we go 22 days later and they still haven't sent me my money and they are still talking out the side of their necks. How insulting so I have stressed out and it's giving me anxiety that a bank would steal from a Sr. Citizen and the icing on the cake is if it was a consumer that owed them money they would destroy your perfect credit for $1. They have over $2000 of my dollars and there is nothing I can do but write these reviews and let people know. Nothing is ethical about Wells Fargo. The Worse of the Worst or lower.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I cannot believe how HORRIFIC this bank has been to me and my family after my brother (a long-time customer) died. For MONTHS, they have made up sooooo many ridiculous excuses for not closing his accounts. It's clear - they want to keep his money. Some of the ridiculous things they've done- they keep asking me to give the legal documents I have proving that I am my brother's estate's representative and am entitled to receive the $$, even after I have already given them those documents TEN times in person, by email, uploaded to their website, and to the government with a complaint I filed that was sent to them. They told me today for the first time that I now must upload the documents from a computer that is not mobile with something that lists the account number. I am sure that once I have done that, they will make up something new like the documents also must be faxed, mailed, and delivered by Fedex, pigeon, and camel to be valid.

They have also refused documents they said were stamped in the wrong place (which was just false, and they had no legal basis). And at one point after I had jumped through every hoop they had asked for, they decided that I wasn't getting the money, but they were instead going to give it to my half-sister so she would have to start from the beginning jumping through their hoops from scratch.

However, my half-sister is NOT the beneficiary on the Wells Fargo beneficiary form and is NOT given the Wells Fargo accounts in my brother's will, so Wells Fargo was just lying again and trying to harass in another sleazy attempt to keep my brother's $$. It's unbelievable how awful this bank is. The Netflix documentary about Wells Fargo and their corruption is a must see. But I can tell you from experience - their corruption is far from being over. It definitely continues. And it horrifies me that their new con is cheating grieving families, who are already going through enough.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

For years I have depended on medallion stamps. Now that wells Fargo has discontinued them, I have nowhere else who will help me. I’m disappointed and furious. Can anyone please help me. Lost, and alone senior citizen.

Wells Fargo Company Information