Wells Fargo

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been married for 3 years and for 3 years Wells Fargo has completely refused to acknowledge my new last name. It is way beyond infuriating. I have shown my new photo ID and social security card. They said that they have to see a certified copy of my marriage license in order to make the change. I live over 2 hours away from the nearest branch and when I drove down to get it taken care of I guess the copy I brought wasn't the certified one. To make matters even worse, my name has changed to the name of the other person on the account which we have shared for over 7 years.

We requested that our accumulated "points" from our WFB Credit Card be sent to us in the form of checks, so that we could get the cash. They made promises which were never fulfilled. We called and they stated that the "checks were mailed yesterday." Well, that was 18 days ago. No checks. No response from them at all. The reps are well trained it appears to lie, simply to get us off the phone. The money is ours, as most of you reading this understand, yet WFB acts as if it's theirs. The interest that they secure from unethical practices like this help to pay off the penalty they received. It never seems to end with them. I wish we could do something about this, but they get nothing more than a hand slap. Beware of any agreements they make with you. We are finding out that an agreement with them is far less than an agreement. Why is it so difficult to do business with them?

HELOC and Conventional Loans - It would take pages to describe the calamity of dealing with Wells Fargo Loan Departments. I'm not saying all WF personnel are inept but many are. It's just like others have stated here, very little customer service, extremely slow with loan process, multiple people asking for same documents, extreme lack of sharing or notes on their system as to progress of loans, appraisals being ordered on loans already denied, bean counter underwriters that think they have arrived. We will never do business with them again and I strongly encourage anyone reading this not to.

I have been a customer of Wells Fargo since 2004. I am concerned about my checking/savings account and the practices of credits/debits. I am constantly aggravated with the fact that Wells Fargo has sent mail including my debit cards to the wrong addresses. I have overdraft protection on my account. However, whenever I overdraft I pay all fees as my check is deposited. My recent complaint with Wells Fargo was on 07-14-2017. I walked into the branch bank and in speaking with a Lisa ** employee of Wells Fargo, she firmly stated to me "if you get the mind right the body will follow". I was very offended as my mind and body wasn't the reason for coming to talk with someone at the bank. I was there because after 13 years of overdraft on 7-03-2017 I needed a withdrawal but didn't have enough to cover and my account goes into overdraft in which I pay.

On the following I subsequently incurred $208 in overdraft. However, when my deposit came a day before Wells Fargo charged $40 to my account without my knowledge and then they cut off my card for misuse. I am a disabled widow. I don't need this type of business with a bank. I have names and have documentation that employees have denied me information from my account. Recently, the comment made I reported to their office directly. However, I am still aggravated by this bank’s practices. I applied for a card with Wells Fargo about a two weeks ago. I believe after the pull of my credit is when Wells Fargo cut off my debit card. But they refuse to agree. I need to investigate why my card was cut and I have no answer in the credit request. In fact none of the employees would provide me information to follow up on my application.

Just sold my house since it had a horrible loan with Wells Fargo, while going through escrow they held half of my proceeds of my house! This company should be charged with Grand larceny with all the people they ripped off! STAY FROM THIS COMPANY AT ALL COST!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

So much wrong with Wells Fargo. To summarize, Wells Fargo takes far too long to get anything accomplished, they did not properly invest my wife's retirement fund, invested her money in a way that cost far too much in fees, and every time we call for customer support we are transferred to 2-3 other departments first. Their website is not user friendly. They can't complete simple tasks like changing her maiden name or adding me to the account.

Briefly, my wife opened a Roth IRA when she was in her early 20s and the advisor invested most of it into "cash alternatives" and other far too conservative avenues. The account has been generating less than 1/2 of normal market return for over a decade. I'm glad I caught it now and shared the investment strategy with a close business partner because now we are switching to another provider. But even this has proven to be a challenge for Wells Fargo to complete. For the past 7 years she has been trying to get her maiden name changed to her married name. Seven years. She mailed them the paperwork, called, and faxed. Same name still.

Now that I'm pushing them, I call right after I fax and they tell me it takes 4 hours to update in the system. 12 hours later, now they tell me it takes 48 hours to update in the system. Still no fax. Where did the fax go? I have the confirmation letter in my hand! Faxing again... Their website was described as "user friendly" however I cannot reallocate funds, I can't add any account to add funds, it is beyond frustrating.

Don't buy property from Wells Fargo. Buyer beware. We bought a foreclosure from Wells Fargo. They made a clerical error on the deed. They acted as if it was our fault and instead of making the simple correction, they delayed while "researching" the matter until we lost our buyer for the property. Wells Fargo is the same as before they got busted. The corporate culture hasn't changed at all. New names... same criminal behavior... unwilling to admit fault and quick to blame the victim. Closing all my business accounts with them next week and I will never again purchase property from Wells Fargo. Their corporate culture is similar to the behavioral norms of a 2 year old. But I doubt they even care because 2 years olds have no real sense of right and wrong.

Where to start... I took out a Home Equity Loan and used it for my Business. The whole crash of 2008 I was unable to pay it back. I was making all my payments in timely manner. I was told when I took out the loan that if I could not pay it off when due I could refinance again. Well that never happened. I tried for 2 years before the loan was due to get a refinance again. I always made all my payments on time and did till it came due and they would no longer take my payments as the loan was due. I was not eligible for a refinance due to being self employed. I was at first pre approved, then declined and put into Loan modification. They also turned down and left out to hang. My Loan Officer who did the modification process must have hated her job based on her less than pleasant personality and disposition. I was turned down and told to short sell my house.

I had told them all along I could sell a property or two. They were so disconnected on all they did. When I would call into Wells Fargo to see what else they needed I was told many times they needed info on my property in Virginia... "I DO NOT HAVE A PROPERTY IN VIRGINIA" I kept telling them. This took them several months to remove this problem. My financial situation changed again as I rented out our commercial building and now had more income. I also sold a property and could put that into the paydown in hopes to get a loan remodification with a lesser amount due.

Getting Wells Fargo to work with me was a BIG JOKE. I thought I had reentered Loan Modification but I guess I had not... They at first gave me to the same terrible woman I had at first. I requested someone else and thought I had gotten someone else and was in loan remodification. I came home to a note on my door. They were selling my house in 12 days. I had another property in Escrow in case I had to pay down in full. What happened to the loan modification? I am not sure. They were Terrible all along to deal with.

The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. I was getting paranoid dealing with them as you could not get the same person or the same answer or an resolution at working something out. I had to sell 2 properties to pay off the loan and then when I had the money I could not get the pay off information on how much to send to them or where to wire the funds. It took me a week of being on the phone 8 hours and calling not fewer than 60 people and numbers and still nothing. I also had to get a hard money loan as the other property was not yet through escrow yet. They would not allow me to talk to a supervisor or anyone who knew anything. I asked many times when calling in if I could talk to a supervisor and the answers was no. What a JOKE. I had the cash to pay them off and they would not give me the information without a huge fight for 1 week.

I would call in and be put on hold for over an hour at a time day after day. I kid you not. I have the phone records to prove it. My husband sat there in disbelief over the whole thing... I had entered the twilight zone of incompetency. I was certain. They told me they could fax the info to me or e mail it to me but it would take 5-7 working days and that was the best they could do. "Sorry ma'am" I was told. "**!!!" I felt like saying. "Well my house was up for auction before I would get the pay off info to pay you off." They made it as hard as they could. ** all of them! I was always polite till I lost it completely. I had to take off a week from work only to get the amount I owed them and where to send the funds. I asked to speak to a supervisor numerous times and was not allowed to. I was of the mindset "you catch more bees with honey." Well that did not work at all. I went back and forth between them and the trustee. Both were clueless.

I finally after day 5 went crazy as I was getting nowhere. The house sale was looming, I had the money in the bank to pay them off. I felt like they just wanted

to sell my house and possible profit from it as I had a lot of equity in it. After going crazy and screaming and dropping F bombs did I finally get a call an hour or so later saying "I heard you had a complaint..." Really... How they do business is criminal. I hate them more than I say. I feel all of this was intentional to make me lose my house. I had all of their ** money yet they would not and could not give me the payoff info or where to send/wire the money to. Took me a week to get and at least 100 phone calls. I ** Hate WELLS FARGO!!! How they do business is CRIMINAL. How they treat customers is the same. I was treat like **. They told me it would take 7-10 working days to get the pay off information and they could only do so by fax or mail. WTF. As I had the time.

I wish to get away from them but am stuck as now I can do nothing. For 3 years being my credit is ruin because of the foreclosure even through I paid it off in full. I have been financially ruin by Banks this. Yes there is a HUGE PROBLEM with the FEDERAL RESERVE and our own GOVERNMENT who makes the laws to protect these banksters. I am thinking they just wanted my house as it had A LOT of equity was in a very desirable area with high resale values. I am not sure why they did this but I did fight like hell to save my house and I am thankful I did but still stressed over it all.

Sorry for my BAD Language. What a joke the whole thing was. I think there is so much more to all of this than many care to see. Think student loans. Why are young people being so saddled with so much debt just WRONG!!! We are making the wrong people rich. All they have to do is print more money. I am thankful I had the assets to save my house but there goes my retirement... Working like a dog at 60 years 7 days a week 10-18 hours a day. The joys of self employment are no longer.

My account was in the positive from payday which is Friday till Tuesday! Tuesday morning when I checked the account it said I was negative -$102.00. So I proceeded to go from the last pay day and subtract every single transaction including the pendings transactions And I get -$12.50 so I call the bank. When I do a guy answers the phone. I explain to him what was going on and he treated me like I was stupid. I am closing my account and I am done! Never will I refer Wells Fargo to anyone!

Horrible! Just one word, horrible customer service. I purchased a Macbook from Amazon and was charged twice. I called Amazon and they gave me the authorization code to dispute the charges from Wells Fargo. Upon calling them, they said Wells Fargo can't do anything about it and will have to wait for it to fall off. Another horrible experience: I am in the middle of closing my account due to above reason and I put a hard freeze on my account so no payment would go through as I was keeping my balance $0 because I was waiting on a deposit. Guess what! Geico payment still went through, $100, and upon calling Wells Fargo (don't know why I was expecting anything from them), they said that the payment was already in 'pending'. Another lame excuse by their team. When I was placing the hold, I made sure that there were no pending payments and I was assured by the customer service rep that there were no pending transactions.

Anyways, today I called to see if they can figure out why the payment was taken out, they were of no help. The person I spoke to transferred me to claims department stating that they should be able to reverse the transaction and take care of any overdraft fees. She filed the claim and transferred me. When I spoke to the claims department, they said they can't see the claim as it will take 24 hours to 'pop up' in their system. What am I supposed to do? Wait till you guys figure out the issue and until then I will have to wait for another 10 days for the account to be in -$100. No thanks! I will pay for it and take the damage instead of dealing with your ridiculous customer service.

I held a number of Wells Fargo accounts for years and dealt with consistently poor/mediocre service. Was impossible to get anything done over the phone, the website was frequently down. Impossible to transfer money on a timely basis. Any request outside of the most basic service turned into a complete disaster. When I decided I had enough and closed all of my accounts (with a zero balance), they of course hit me with some strange overdraft charge, which they did not inform me of and sent to a collections agency. Avoid at all costs, there are so many other options and there is no upside to doing business with them.

I purchased and media lamp for my projector. When product arrived it was the incorrect lamp. I contacted Projectorquest and a branch of Buyquest to request an RMA. This is where I have been disappointed with Buyquest.com & Projectorquest.com for not placing the refund into my account after receiving the returned product 2 weeks plus giving me no other option but to file the claim with my banker who I banked over 25 year.

I waited weeks and until this day I'm fused with wellfargo.com banking procedure. They dropped the claim and stated that if I didn't receive the refund to place another claim. I learned that Banking with WELLS FARGO & wellsfargo.com FOR OVER 25 YEARS is not for the commoner interest. Use small banks that still ARE human. WELLS FARGO IS NOT LOOKING OUT FOR THE AVERAGE CONSUMER. LOOK OUT! I discourage any small businesses or any person to open an account with Wells Fargo & wellsfargo.com. They don't care to lose a loyal customer and they are not interested in what you have to say other than take your hard earned money.

Following several communications in branch, email and social media still not sorted. Over $900 missing from our account. 16 transactions from Walmart online (whom we never use) documented over 2 separate dates (I have the evidence printed off) only 12 transactions reversed. Wells Fargo have deleted, yes deleted every transaction and history of this fraud with no idea or clear explanation why only 12 reversed. So many people talk but do nothing and show nothing to prove we have not lost this money. Charges after charges and all just talk talk talk - but no help! No matter how they explain it, it is clear. 16 transactions, only 12 reversed - 4 missing and not showing... $900 lost! Disgusting how they hold out on you and have nothing to show to prove otherwise... Just disappeared! Hate this bank!

Signed up for a checking account on 03/29/2017 with Wells Fargo that included a $250.00 promotion if I either had direct deposit or made 10 transaction within 45 days. I made my 11th transaction by 04/06/2017 and then waited until I was given the bonus before I would swap my account over from my old one. I read how Wells Fargo was illegally opening accounts before and thought I would give them a chance. A person would think they would be giving out great customer service due of this scandal. I was really wrong, as they screwed me around for months and never paid the bonus. Even though customer service replied I did in fact qualify for the bonus. Per customer message I received below...

"I can confirm the correct code for this bonus is on your application and as you have met the necessary qualifications; please allow the proper time to receive your bonus which is 45 days from the date you met the qualifications." The 10th debit card purchase was done on 04/6/2017 and this fulfilled the requirement to get the bonus.

Over 45 days went by and still no bonus in my account. Now they claimed Wells Fargo cannot pay a promotional bonus to a customer without a certified tax ID number (W-9) to which I had already mailed in to them. They had me send it in the second time and finally said they received it, but they never paid the bonus. Wells Fargo is the most crooked bank out there and I would advise anyone to stay away from this unethical business.

Applied for a balance transfer for funds to go to a company that does not accept electronic funds transfers, only checks. I received a check made out to me and to this company on 7/1/17. Reading the accompanying letter, I learned that the promotional Apr offer of 0% for 15 months would no longer apply if the check were used after 6/30/17 (which obviously was now an impossibility). After going through two separate "bankers" (customer service people), I was transferred to a supervisor. They were unwilling to honor the original offer I was approved for and said that if I wanted to reapply for the August promotional (0% Apr for 12 months) I would be considered again. The supervisor was absolutely inflexible, totally uncomprehending why I would expect to have the original offer and approval honored, and obviously could not wait to get me off the phone, no matter what the outcome. I finally told her I was tearing up the check and to have a nice day.

I have banked with Wachovia/then Wells Fargo for over 30 years, including my home mortgage. My experiences with WF have unfortunately become more and more like this over the years. It's not only the principle of the issue (reneging on an approved offer) but the unhelpful manner of the customer service reps that has me steaming. This one may be the last straw and I will consider changing banks. It's just not worth the hassle or the lack of care about the consumer.

On 07/03/2017 I got to the bank at 4:50 pm to make a company's deposit; there were about 3 cars in front of me so I waited. It took the tellers forever to attend the car by the window, so I finally got to the window at 5:22 PM, just as I was parking my car by the window the teller closed the blind and put the sign "CLOSED". I called the teller from the speaker, he responds that they were already closed, I explained them that I had been in line for almost 30 minutes and then he calls somebody else, some lady with an attitude comes and tells me that for security purposes they have to close the lines and they could not take my deposit! I had almost 35K with me and they refused to take the deposit and on July 4th they would be obviously closed.

They did not care if company's check would start bouncing, or if something happened to me and the money would get lost. They just don't care. Bottom line, it is by far the worse experience I've ever had in a bank. I would not recommend this bank at all; at least not this branch. I am sure other branches are different, but this particular one is a nightmare. If you need to make any transaction, please avoid the branch on Gessner and Braeswood in Houston TX.

I am unable to make my mortgage payments due to Wells Fargo banking not updating my name change. I have had numerous calls and been sent back and forth between mortgage side and banking side. Each one assures me it's the other side's responsibility to update. As a result I am not able to add my banking information to make a payment. I have sent my marriage certificate to multiple fax numbers Wells Fargo has requested. I am frustrated as Wells Fargo seems inept to handle a simple profile update request.

Not a good bank. I currently have 6 accounts with Wells Fargo, soon to be none! If I use any account with the UGLY-Teller they charge a monthly fee, if I receive any coin change from them they charge for that! These are all new fees that I currently have been seeing in my statements! I am self employed and their bank is closed when I get done with my day, no convenience for me, but they make sure to take my money any chance they get!

I have had several bad experiences with Wells Fargo but by far the atm is the worst. They should not allow you to deposit cash if the atm machine can't count it correctly. I deposited 400.00 cash at the atm it gave me credit for 3.80. You can't even deposit 3.80 in cash into a atm the machine. Then they tell me to file a claim and that could take 10 days to get my money. I have other bank accounts and often use the atm for deposits and never ever have I had a issue but with Wells Fargo it is always a problem. Do not bank with them. We have lots of other reliable banks out here.

I had financed a couch and Wells Fargo was the lien holder. It's a constant battle to try and reach someone. I have spent hours waiting on the phone and even the customer service representatives I have spoken to could not get a hold of the right department. When I finally got a hold of the department I needed the manager I had spoken to was extremely rude and downgrading, and I felt as he didn't care what I had to say. It's frustrating to wait on hold and then be told that there is no way I have been on hold that long.

I was interested in banking with Wells Fargo in the future but after the way they have handled this messed up situation I will never do business with them again and I will do my best to detour business from this company to prevent people from having to deal with such uncaring and sarcastic people I have ever dealt with before. This is the most upsetting part... is people not answering the phone in that department. I have been completely ruined from this experience and like I said earlier I will never do business with Wells Fargo again.

My son had his bank information stolen. The bank was notified & they told him he was still responsible for the fraudulent activity on his card... WHY? The fraud happened in 4 different states & my son has never left Texas. Really??? They told him his money would be sent to him after the investigation, well it's been over a month & he's still waiting. I checked the mail today & there was a letter from the incompetent bank stating my son's account was overdrawn. Well weeks ago a banker told him that the account was closed. Withdraw your money people. This bank is full of hogwash.

To all the other people that have wrote their complaints my heart goes out to you. I read a good portion of the complaints and am writing this review to add my experiences with Wells Fargo. I left wells fargo around 1994. At the time I was in the Navy and had around 65.00 available in in my account (after accounting for an upcoming Wells Fargo Visa Card Automatic withdrawal). Myself and my wife and 2 year old son were at an amusement park and were low on money (payday was still a few days away). I went to the ATM and withdrew 60.00 (yes they had ATM's back then) I accepted the 1.00 fee (maybe it was 1.50?). When payday came a few days later I noticed overdraft fees. I cannot recall the exact fee for using a non Wells Fargo atm but it was substantial (like multiple times higher than the fee I had received from the ATM).

This resulted in an overdraft fee when my Wells Fargo Visa payment went through and a late payment fee for my Wells Fargo Visa payment. I don't recall how they managed to pull this double whammy off but they did. Think it was they didn't automatically withdraw my visa payment because I was 60 cents under the amount to make the electronic payment but that was due to a ridiculous $5.00 non Wells Fargo atm fee. I recall calling the bank and they offered no help or waiver of fees. I do not recall if they raised my Visa interest rate over it (I do believe I would have remembered that though). My fix for this was to Open up a credit union account with navy federal credit union and put Wells Fargo crap behind me:) :)...

So the Wells Fargo free life was fine then sometime around the 3 quarter of 2016 I had to cash a "Wells Fargo" check made out to myself (from Wells Fargo), think it was from the sale of my house back in Texas. Anyway I went to the Wells Fargo website to locate the nearest branch location to me in Georgia. Drove an hour to nearest branch location identified by their website. When I arrived It was a Wells Fargo drive thru bank. When I finally reached the window I was finally told that this branch is for "Wells Fargo customers only" (can't cash Wells Fargo checks there?). The lady was kind enough to let me know where the nearest branch that would see me was (wasn't far maybe 2 or 3 miles).

When I arrived at the other Wells Fargo branch that would accept non Wells Fargo (lower class baggage rate citizens) I was informed that I need two forms of I.D. to cash their check made out to me by Wells Fargo? You know like a passport or social security card? This was not a personal check from a Wells Fargo account holder it was from Wells Fargo itself! Anyway the teller recognized I had a security badge from the nuclear power plant and she accepted that. She said that she has family in that works for Georgia power. So I was supposed to have a passport or a social security card yet she accepted a security badge from the nuclear power plant. Anyway check was cashed, the teller was neither rude nor courteous, that was my last experience with them.

I found out my father quit Wells Fargo in 1972 after we got back from Japan (air force brat). Apparently they closed his account with several grand in it after two years of inactivity, then made it really difficult for him to get his money back, then tried to not pay interest on his money, etc. Only problem was they never notified him that they closed his account. Didn't know about this whole story until years after my 1992 WFB experience.

Latest Wells Fargo thing I heard was yesterday an acquaintance of mine told me he left his Driver's license at Wells Fargo (yes the one that's an hour away, well maybe not the same one but just as far). Guess the Wells Fargo teller didn't give his driver license back to him last time he was at the bank. Didn't notify him that they had his driver's license, he tore his house apart looking for his driver's license.

Finally 2 days later figured out he must have left it at the Wells Fargo bank. Called Wells Fargo bank, they said they had his driver's license (no they didn't call him), he drove the hour out to Wells Fargo, then they wanted him to show a passport or social security card to get his driver's license back. So he "PHYSICALLY GRAB HIS PERSONAL driver's license out of the bank's managers Hand" and guess what Yet another previous Wells Fargo account holder is born. Forgot to mention when I got my check cashed (you know the one from "WELLS FARGO" to me, I had to put my fingerprint on it! Sailors and dogs keep off the Grass! OK Wells Fargo we get it, now its time for you to GET IT!!!

I have been trying to get my name changed for the past six months. Back in January, 2017 I called customer service and they provided an address in Portland, Oregon to send my request and listed the documentation needed to complete a name change request. I sent all the notarized information, waited for two months and finally received a letter (with no signature) stating they did not like my notary and I would have to resubmit all the documents with a different notary signature to the Portland, Oregon address. I again had copies of my documents notarized, but with a different notary, and resubmitted everything they requested. In the meantime I got through to a supervisor, Brittany **, who said she would personally help me get my name changed and she verified that name change requests are to go to Portland, Oregon.

A month later I still had not heard anything and tried to call Brittany **, who no longer answers her phone. I called customer service on June 22, 2017 and was told they had no record of my documents and that I should have sent my documents to an address in Billings, Montana, to the attention of "Maintenance" (no name provided). The representative said that no one should ever send a name change request to Portland, Oregon because it is well known that only the Montana location processes name change requests. The man who told me this said his name was Steve ** and he hung up on me. No apology, no kindness, just a disapproving statement that I sent my name change request to Portland, Oregon instead of Billings, MT. I no longer live near a branch or I would go to one.

When I opened this account in 2015 I lived near a branch. I have since moved and the nearest branch is 70 miles away and according to Steve **, processes name change requests during the week only and not on the weekends. I cannot imagine having to take a day off from work to drive 140 miles to get someone in that branch to assist me. In comparison, I have another account at an out of state bank who immediately changed my name. There was no hassle at the other bank and it took them one week with a polite letter informing me that my request for a name change was complete and thanking me for my continued business.

Wells Fargo Bank is the worst bank in the U.S. and should be fined for incompetence and fraud. I would like to close my accounts but feel that I need to get my name changed first or they'll come up with an excuse as to why they cannot close my accounts and keep my money. If anyone can help me get this resolved I would be grateful. Thank you for your assistance.

I had money in a company 401K that employer put in for me. I left the company in 2000. The owners sold the company in 2012. At that time, employees and ex-employees who had money in the 401K were given option to receive their money. Friend who still works there said he had Wells Fargo open an individual IRA for him for his share. I was never contacted about my share and had never received statements that I even had this money in this account. Now WF tells me that I DID receive this money and the 401K is closed. I told them if I received this money provide PROOF - cashed check, etc. - something proving I received it. No one has been able to help me. They all basically just tell me I don't have an IRA with them and the money is gone. I would think a large bank such as WF would keep better records and could provide proof of where this $11,000 went.

The business I work for had a $14 million lending arrangement with Wells Fargo. They nearly put us out of business, and in the end the fees they charged us were in the 100s of thousands. These guys lie to get you in the door, then screw you over. Whatever you do, don't do business with Wells Fargo bank or Wells Fargo Equipment Finance. They are the most dishonest, crooked, self serving bank I have ever seen, and I have been in business for 30+ years. Beware, they will find unbelievable ways to screw you over!

I am single father and travel extensively for work. I added my parents to my account in the event I needed them to handle a banking transaction in my absence, or if were unable to handle a transaction due to unforeseen circumstances. Over the last 3 months, when my mother requested banking services, Wells applied payments to the wrong account and then levied her with late fees, even though it was their mistake. Recently, after applying payments to the wrong account the second or third time, my mother had Wells cancel her Wells Credit Card and pay it off from her Checking account with the account number she provided. Wells pulled the funds from my account.

Three weeks earlier, my mother asked for funds to be transferred from her savings to her investment account. She provided the bank teller a deposit slip so that they could look up her account. They withdrew money from my savings. Each time Wells screwed up, mom immediately told me of the error and gave me a check to refund me and dealt with Wells for hours at a time.

Today when I logged on to look at my account I was locked out. Wells Locked it due to fraud (On their part) and I cannot use my bank account until Monday when I speak to someone in Customer Care. I keep a $0 balance on all my Credit cards and pay them off each month. Today, I want to take my dad out to lunch, instead of using my ATM card for lunch or fill my gas tank, I have to use my Visa Card. I cannot even withdraw funds from an ATM until I speak with customer care. This is ridiculous and actionable in my opinion. I notified the FTC and filed a complaint, but I am not confident that they will even have time to look at my concern based on all of the other fraudulent activity that Wells is committing on the consumers these days. Mark my words, Wells will be fined, and the CEO will step down with a Golden Parachute, as will a number of his lieutenants, and some staffer will go to jail.

I wish I could give a zero star, but this is not an option. I was informed via email that my account was being closed because I was have frequent transactions with funds in transit, which created a risk for the bank. I had been putting cash deposit for my wife to deposit in another bank, but because the withdraws were being done on the same day as the deposit, they claimed the checks I deposit were not credit into my account yet. I made cash deposits, the funds should be available right away, but they wanted me to wait before I could use it.

If it was a check that needed to be clear, I understand, but this was not a check, but cash. It was several transactions, but they thought several were too many, and they put me in the spot as now I need to change over account because they closed my account. This is ridiculous that funds that were deposited as cash needed to be clear before I can apply it in the way I need it to work for me. Extremely rude customer service that victimizes the customer. Wonder how they are able to do business with such uncaring practices.

Being young I have purchased a vehicle through one of their dealerships. The first few months were fine, but the last 2 months have been a living hell. They lost one payment and tried charging me with 40 dollars in late fees on a payment that they had input wrong, and later found when I threatened court action, and now they are trying to say that a CASH payment through an authorized payment system (i.e. MoneyGram) was rejected for insufficient funds! What in the **!

I'm trying to figure out why it is so hard to close an account with this bank. One reason I am closing because you will spend your money and instead of them holding the funds they make it available for you to spend until you're spending money that you don't have. Now, I know it's all about me keeping track of what goes out which I do through the dumb website that gives off so much inaccurate information but it's hard when you're always on the go. The customer service agents are rude and very ghetto. I had one say "Yeah I can do that". I went into the branch to close and the agent couldn't do it even after I was told they could once I close the account. Then he says he could do it tomorrow which is now today 6/10/12. I called customer care to have them close it and they tell me that I cannot close my account until Monday the 12th at 8 am. What in the world... These people are crooks and scammers. The entire company needs to be shut down.

I called to remove overdraft from my acct because if I went over $1 and the fee is $35 it doesn't make sense. The following month it happened again. I was told overdraft was removed but you have a separate type on your debit card. During both conversations I clearly stated I do not want anything paid if through money isn't available. The fees were reversed and I was assured I was fine. My grandmother died yesterday and since my entire family bank with Wells Fargo she was going to transfer me gas money to drive 12 hours home. My acct is negative $119 because they paid a 15 bill and are charging me the fees. I call AGAIN to have it corrected. tTey tell me because they've credited me for the same issue before they can't anymore. The other issues were bank errors but because they can't give correct info I will miss my chance to say goodbye to my grandmother. On top of that my paycheck is direct deposited to that acct so I will also be short on rent.

I called corporate to talk to the guy who answers the calls for the president of Wells Fargo. I explain to him the issue. He informs me that because it was a subscription that's why they still paid it regardless of what I requested. I do not work at Wells Fargo. How would I know the fine print about subscriptions and the difference if I wasn't told on the call I made pertaining to the issue and was assured nothing would be paid if the funds weren't available. I could have simply changed the due date since I was told it would just decline.

Now my acct is still over drafted and no one is willing to help me. I asked the guy who takes calls from the president who else can I talk to since I told him this isn't my fault and he giggled and said, "Well who's it then?" He informed me, "I just told you. I take the calls from the president so no, you can't talk to anyone". I will tell this story on every social media platform I can. If I do end up missing my granny's services, I will look into a lawsuit. This is ridiculous that almost the agents have the same training but I penalized in a life affecting way for their errors.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Wells Fargo was founded in 1852 in New York City. The bank is known for its financial services throughout the western part of the country during the gold rush. Today, Wells Fargo serves both U.S. and international customers at physical locations and online.

• Divisions: Wells Fargo operates through three branches—personal, small business and commercial.
  • Personal banking services: The company offers banking, loans, credit, insurance, investing, retirement and wealth management products.
  • Online banking: The electronic banking services include online banking, bill pay, statements, fund transfers and mobile banking.
  • Fraud protection: Wells Fargo's Fraud Information Center is committed to protecting their customers, offers an online security guarantee and account alerts. Additionally, Wells Fargo teaches customers how to report and protect themselves from fraud and identity theft.
  • Wealth management services: The company’s money management services include wealth planning, private banking, investment management, specialized wealth services and trust services.
  • Financial education: Wells Fargo has a robust educational portal with information about basic finance, credit, home ownership, investing, retirement and insurance.
  • Rewards: Consumers with a Wells Fargo’s “Go Far Rewards” card accrue travel, gift cards, downloads, merchandise and other benefits.
  • Best for Wells Fargo offers suitable banking products for all consumers.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions