3.6/5 (971 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo is a national bank with branches in many communities. Its services include home loans, mortgage refinancing and home equity loans. Explore mortgage information, affordability calculators and home loan shopping tools on its website. If you’re interested, apply online or talk to a Wells Fargo mortgage consultant in your area.

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Pros

• Free online banking and mobile app
    • Free money transfers
    • Large selection of financial products

Cons

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Wells Fargo is Terrible. Today is 1-11-2022 and I accidentally overpaid them on 12-20-2021 so I called them when I realized. Spoke to a representative. I told her about my overpayment. She said, "Ok I see it, that's a lot of money I have to put that under investigation." I said, "Excuse me have you ever heard of people wanting to be debt free for the New Year that would be me, And just for the record that's not a lot of money. I paid you electronically it was not a check or a money order there is nothing to investigate, Please send me my money." She said it will take 7 to 10 days.

So here we go 22 days later and they still haven't sent me my money and they are still talking out the side of their necks. How insulting so I have stressed out and it's giving me anxiety that a bank would steal from a Sr. Citizen and the icing on the cake is if it was a consumer that owed them money they would destroy your perfect credit for $1. They have over $2000 of my dollars and there is nothing I can do but write these reviews and let people know. Nothing is ethical about Wells Fargo. The Worse of the Worst or lower.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I cannot believe how HORRIFIC this bank has been to me and my family after my brother (a long-time customer) died. For MONTHS, they have made up sooooo many ridiculous excuses for not closing his accounts. It's clear - they want to keep his money. Some of the ridiculous things they've done- they keep asking me to give the legal documents I have proving that I am my brother's estate's representative and am entitled to receive the $$, even after I have already given them those documents TEN times in person, by email, uploaded to their website, and to the government with a complaint I filed that was sent to them. They told me today for the first time that I now must upload the documents from a computer that is not mobile with something that lists the account number. I am sure that once I have done that, they will make up something new like the documents also must be faxed, mailed, and delivered by Fedex, pigeon, and camel to be valid.

They have also refused documents they said were stamped in the wrong place (which was just false, and they had no legal basis). And at one point after I had jumped through every hoop they had asked for, they decided that I wasn't getting the money, but they were instead going to give it to my half-sister so she would have to start from the beginning jumping through their hoops from scratch.

However, my half-sister is NOT the beneficiary on the Wells Fargo beneficiary form and is NOT given the Wells Fargo accounts in my brother's will, so Wells Fargo was just lying again and trying to harass in another sleazy attempt to keep my brother's $$. It's unbelievable how awful this bank is. The Netflix documentary about Wells Fargo and their corruption is a must see. But I can tell you from experience - their corruption is far from being over. It definitely continues. And it horrifies me that their new con is cheating grieving families, who are already going through enough.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

For years I have depended on medallion stamps. Now that wells Fargo has discontinued them, I have nowhere else who will help me. I’m disappointed and furious. Can anyone please help me. Lost, and alone senior citizen.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

They’ve seized funds from mine and thousands of other accounts illegally. They’ve received the appropriate legal and support information and claim “we have no time frame” within which they have to act to return the seized funds our family needs. They’re playing an evil dodgy game with millions possibly billions of customers money. They’re allowing it to destroy their business interests willfully inflicting harm and menacing that they can do so forever. They’ve received the orders from both the court and collecting attorneys demanding release of the funds immediately and are fully ignoring laws and making long term menaces to their customers. Do not trust them with any savings or mortgages. They’ll criminally target your money to get you behind on payments then default your loan criminally over funds they’ve seized and refused to return despite clean legal documents instructing them to do so. Do not trust them with your family’s money or future.

Their behavior is a menacing delay game to harm us using money and lying about the laws blatantly and repeatedly. Their version of custom service is actually criminal menacing. Will never trust them with any assets again. Their trusts need to be removed and ratings sunk. They’re destroying lives willfully purposely and planning it in advance. Run from a Wells Fargo bank or mortgage or they’ll target you as soon as it’s more than a few hundred dollars. Even police officers here have their savings wiped out by these criminal menacers.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Never ever bank with Wells Fargo... you will wake up and all your money will be gone. Their system regeneration system is bad...once you call in about your money you have to wait for the system not them the system. So they are collecting interest off of your funds. Don’t ever deposit a check. You have to wait until the next day and they don’t give you half of your funds. Your life would become a nightmare. You do better just going to cash app... lol it’s a joke like Wells Fargo a joke playing with people accounts. CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS.. I use to love banking with these people but when you lie to a customer or steal or don’t protect their accounts why should I be with them...

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

My father passed away in 1/17/2021 and my mother is having a difficult time getting Wells Fargo to assist her with the process of probate. First the rent went from $967 to $1600. How is an elderly widow woman living on social security can afford that outrage increase. She renewed the homeowner's insurance in her name and the bank would not accept the policy she paid for because the loan is in my father's name and the policy is in my mother's name. Wells Fargo proceeded to choose the most expensive insurance they could find causing the rent and taxes to sky rocket. Illegally if my father died who are they authorizing to get a new insurance policy when my mother was told that getting new insurance policy in the name of a deceased person was illegal. So how is it not illegal for Wells Fargo to get a policy and not the surviving spouse.

They keep stealing her money but no one from Wells Fargo is willing to help her. We have sent faxes, emails, even got legal service aid to speak to Wells Fargo and every time we call they can never find the paperwork, all of a sudden emails and faxes go missing to their convenience. Wells Fargo is the worst bank to get a mortgage with. No one knows what they are doing and paperwork gets lost. All they care about is ripping people off and stealing people's money. I need someone from that mortgage company to actually resolve the problem without any ** excuses. It's been over 45 days that they keep promising to get things done and they wait until my mother calls to restart the cycle of lost documents that they claim they never receive.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Wells Fargo bank is most unsecured. Bank is pushing customers to do online banking for most of their services and when problems occur wells Fargo bank's respond is that, "Sorry, you did it online and we can't help you. We have no power over online transactions once it's done." First time in my banking experience I did online wire which I was pushed to do it online from Wells Fargo representatives and that's when disaster started. Every day wire was going out from my account and Wells Fargo happily giving my money to some fraudsters. Wells Fargo bank never called me or blocked my account. After submitting number of claims still they cannot do anything. They happily telling me "your claim is denied". We did investigation. I asked for investigation documents but not getting anything from Wells Fargo Bank. I hope one day Wells Fargo Bank will collapse.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I’m very disappointed with the way Wells Fargo treat potential new customers. Today I walked into a branch to open a business checking with 20K and was told “no banker is available that I needed to make an appointment 2 weeks in advance.” I then visited the branch in Guttenberg, New Jersey and immediately upon entering the branch I was yelled at by the branch manager to wait outside. I also made several calls to branches between North Bergen and Jersey City and no one answer the phone. I don’t understand why some branches are open and some are closed. We all have to deal with covid – it’s the new normal. Both Bank of America and Chase have bankers available and as far as I could tell all their branches are open and operating. In the end I decided to open my account at BOA without any hassle.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I have been a member of Wells Fargo for going on 10 years now, It seems every time I turn my back there is another issue. I have waited weeks months for the money I've deposited. Wells Fargo never sends emails confirming anything for you. Wells fargo bank is a terrible bank. I have had fraud on my account more times than I can count on both hands. I have deposited checks and the atm got jammed so I the money from the check I deposited isn't available to me for a month which is ridiculous. When you deposit any cash or check it should be made available immediately unless of course it's a sunday. It should be available next business day at least.

I am tired of having bills to pay and having to wait weeks and even months to be able to even access my money. It is not like they compensate you at all either that the other thing they do not care for their customers. I know because I am not the only one. I talk to family and friends and they all complain about the same repetitive issues w/ wells. If it is an issue I can't receive the money I deposited because of THEIR ATM or because of a mistake wells fargo made why does the customer have to suffer the consequences??? I really just don't get it. Make it make sense please. Not to mention when you have an issue everyone dread calling customer service because, customer service puts you on hold for hours and once you get a hold of someone it's never the "right department".

They are constantly rude, disrespectful and act like they could careless, they sound like repetitive robots like they have certain lines they say. Every time you ask them to explain they repeat the same thing they said before like they are actors in a movie and can only say what's printed for them. I am tired of wells fargo. As soon as I get my last check resolved after "10 business days" after being told I'd have the money in my account in 4 business days. I got no confirmation, no email, nothing to show me any progress with it either it's like if the customer doesn't keep up with a mistake THE BANK MADE you are ** out of luck. They don't care if they give your money or not.

Wells Fargo will no longer have my business. I'm done. Just like anyone if you make a deposit there should not be a month wait time before you can access your money. They should at least compensate you or give you interest for forcing you to wait on money you should've gotten the same day you deposited it. I will be switching banks. I just wanted to let anyone who thinks they want to open an account with wells DON'T DO IT. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I filed a few claims with Wells and both times they have overlooked my pictures and proofs to show that I was wrongly charged. They're quick to throw in the towel and I end up losing my money. So upset..

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

We applied as self employed business owners and disclosed all our financials, taxes, profit losses and any additional documentation within above the average timeframe. We got pre-approved by a lady named Tanya **, paid for inspections, appraisal and had sold our house. Three weeks from closing Tanya called and said they denied our loan and gave us no inclination that there would be any problems, we had just purchased insurance on the property. We'll be homeless in 3 weeks because this incompetent loan officer and deceptive practices of Wells Fargo. We have excellent credit, low debt and above the average income. Do not trust this person or Wells Fargo to be honest or competent in your loan process.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

(1) Online portal glitch does not permit scheduling an online appointment. I had to call, but made an appointment for 1000 CST. (2) 1.5 hour wait AFTER 1000 appointment. By the way, I'm STILL sitting here waiting for the 0900 appointment to leave. It's 1130 CST right now. My issue is that there is no process in place to address issues like this. I'm opening a new account and the phone representatives were not able to complete my packet online. Only ONE staff member at the bank can deal with new accounts. By the way, my telephone fraud call (for another account) had a 1.25 hour wait without the option for a wait-in-line call back. Why did I call the fraud line? I opened a personal account and somehow, in less than 5 minutes, an unrecognized mailing address was attached to my account! WF seems too problematic and several security concerns have been uncovered before I've even done business here.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I have been a WF customer for the last 10 years. I'm a citizen from Mexico and hold a checking, savings, mortgage, and credit card account in this bank. Today I tried to make a wire transfer to Mexico with MY MONEY, and outrageously WF is holding my money hostage as I cannot make the transfer if I'm not a PERMANENT RESIDENT. Are you kidding me??? Who gets to decide what I do with MY MONEY based on the immigrant status???? I have earned this money by being lawfully admitted to the country under the current visa status I hold. If the bank had no issues into TAKING MY MONEY, they shouldn't have any issues as to HOW I USE IT. This is downright OUTRAGEOUS. Mexican and other nationalities: Do not save your money in this infamous place!!!! This is unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

They don't acknowledge provisions made by the customer's efforts to schedule payment during his/her financial crisis. They will continue to harass with phone calls, emails and texts and completely ignore any arrangement you've previously made with them.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

Wells Fargo used to have much better customer service; more personable but now just to get a live customer service rep on the phone takes anywhere from 15 - 35 mins. What the hell???? Guess I gotta look to change banks and I’ve been with them for 12 years….Too bad their execs don’t care nor do they know how to run a good bank.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

To start, I am not a review guy, but after what I experienced I feel the need to at least warn others not to refinance or do any business with Wells Fargo. Their staff of representatives were not able to answer basic questions, provide help, or reconcile any mistakes. I was denied use of my attorney because he would not sign a contract with Wells Fargo. My attorney works on my behalf and Wells Fargo required him to sign a contract with them or else he could not provide my closing services. Illegal.

Of course they had already signed me up for a different service they use at twice the cost. My closing representative forgot to schedule the rep to come out and close and after rescheduling my closing costs went up due to their mistake, Even after admitting fault they refused to compensate me for the extra expenses. In dealing with 6 closings in my life and helping with countless others this has been the absolute worst experience and customer service I have ever been subject to. I urge you to never use this bank, it will be nothing but frustration.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I give Wells Fargo bank zero stars. Your money is not safe in this bank. We recently had fraud due to some ATM error. There were a $1000 withdrawn from our account, which we DID NOT authorize. We reported the issue right away and submitted a claim. After two claims, they advised we needed to submit yet a third one. The first claim went to the wrong department, and after the second claim was completed, they still have no answers for us and our money is lost. Throughout the process we have been transferred all over the place.

The customer service is horrible. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, the claim was escalated to the Enterprise Complaints Management Office and the only thing they did was to give a provisional credit for the $1000 which is of course being taken back because the claim has been denied. It has been almost two months since we submitted the original claim. When we called to try and request the third claim because we still have no answers the representative was very rude and said they cannot submit another claim. We told him that is what was advised to us by another Wells Fargo representative earlier today when we called to get the outcome of the second claim and he would not even let my husband explain himself. Stay away from this bank. We will definitely be going somewhere else.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

This branch is absolutely the worst! I have been a customer for over 20 years. Personal and business. Never before has it been this bad. They are taking full advantage of the Covid slowdown by not staffing the branch. The wait times are horrible, inexcusable! The inexperienced staff direct you to their site. The staff has no manager and no one that holds the crew accountable to expedite their transactions. I am considering leaving them.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

This Bank is GARBAGE as they care more about leaving work early than helping people. You have to literally miss work to open an account here in NJ.Complete trash! I went there to open an account, and was there on time but because they had a lot of customers and wanted to go home was not able to open a business account. The employees care more about getting out of work super early, than helping people... It's no wonder they are losing customers to other banks and credit unions!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I have been a customer with Wells Fargo for 16 years. I had filed a claim against the travel booking company "eDreams" in June 2021. This company charged my card for a flight that I never received - when I showed up to the terminal the airline did not have me on the flight manifest. When you look at the reviews for eDreams there is endless amounts of people who have had the same exact issue as I. eDreams sent Wells Fargo a PURCHASE AUTHORIZATION(NOT A FLIGHT CONFIRMATION CODE, NO PROOF OF A TICKET.) which means according to "Visa Guidelines" they lose the dispute and I am on the hook for the flight that I never received from this company. So, my account is currently overdrawn and I refuse to pay for a service that I never received. This was escalated to complaints - complaints did nothing for me and told me the same thing.

Really, Wells Fargo? There is NO SHORTAGE of people who have had THE SAME EXACT ISSUE AS ME and I am on the line for this money? There is NO PHONE NUMBER or ONLINE CHAT that works to even get ahold of "eDreams" to request a refund. Wells Fargo provided me with a phone number to request a refund from eDreams and the phone number DOES NOT WORK. I will be closing my account with Wells Fargo if this cannot be resolved.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I have recently been divorced and needed a bank account. Little did I know Wells Fargo gave me an account because I was a divorced woman and could not be trusted with a real man’s bank account! I receive more money (legally) than my ex-husband and I just purchased a new vehicle on my own! The only person Wells Fargo needs to worry about is my ex who is a pedophile! Oh but that’s ok!

Wells Fargo also force overdraft fees to my account! Now I know why my account is all screwed up! Wells Fargo could care less about Women! Wells Fargo refuses to release my funds for a down payment on my new car! Than refuse to allow my debit card to be raised for the one time charge, because I am a divorced woman, disabled with verifiable income! IF YOU ARE A DIVORCED WOMAN DO NOT BANK WITH WELLS FARGO!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

Where do I start, if you are looking to open a business checking account with Wells Fargo, think long and hard. They are absolutely the worst bank that I ever had the misfortune to choose for my company's banking services. They have crippled me in running my company. This has to be on purpose. I have done everything asked of me to conduct banking with my vendors and they have made it impossible to pay thru ACH or wire. In my industry it is very competitive and I need to be able to access the actual money I have in my account to pay my vendors, did I say my money? Actual money. Their employees are completely incompetent.

Perhaps if you get people back into the office and not sitting at their kitchen table in their underwear you could actually train them. I will make it my mission to warn as many people as possible to stay clear of this corrupt bank. I should of read the reviews, once a cheat and thief always a cheater and thief. RUN DONT WALK. STAY AWAY FROM WELLS FARGO AND THEIR DECEITFUL BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

They discriminate based on country of origin for credit card applications. Need a lawyer to file for all of us. I got approval from all banks across the USA without any problem. Will close all my checking and saving accounts with Wells Fargo. Happy never invested with them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

The worst bank I have ever seen!!! I highly recommend NOT to open a business account with this bank. You basically can't do anything with your money. Every transaction will be on hold for at least 2 WEEKS!!!! No direct pay, no ach, no wires, you can't deposit a check. They can block your account without any reason. Costumer service is absolutely useless, they know nothing. THE WORST BANK in USA. They ruined my business.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Wells Fargo has some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Took over 2 days just to send a wire due to their "fraud" department putting a hold on my wire which is fine. However, to remove the hold required a 2 hour phone call, hung up on, and numerous identity confirmations only to be told to go see a branch. When I went to a branch they told me to call the same number putting me in an endless loop. I bank with Wells Fargo, Chase, and Frost Bank.

Wells Fargo told me, "If you are looking for a more "personal" banking relationship then to go to a different bank." Was told they are moving away from people and pushing for a more digital/automated experience. In short, Wells Fargo is bad for business. No one really wanted to help you, and their process flow within the organization needs a SERIOUS overhaul. I've had over $10m+ flow through my wells fargo accounts and it's impossible for me to get any real help with them. God help someone who has $5 in their account.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

After being with them for years they have proven once again there is no backing from the bank. After a fraudulent insurance company charged me over 2k they replaced it just to tell me I owe it to them after. It almost out my business under and thank goodness I don’t use them for my business. CHASE ALL DAY!!!! Stay away from Wells Fargo. They said they covered my business and it was active to only get a callback saying they didn’t cover once I had already started services. They are negligent and incompetent. I was on hold for 30 min then got disconnected. I’ve never let my account be negative for more than few hours and I was charged 245 in fees. None of which they’d replace.

I keep trying to close my account but they say we have to wait until this clears. Now it’s negative again. Just stay away. A piggy bank in the middle of a prison is safer than using Wells Fargo. I’d rather give my money to gamblers anonymous- it would be safer! I will be cancelling my card the second they let me and I will never be returning!!!! Chase takes care of me and my business! So happy I’m almost done with wells. Not before they don’t squeeze a little more out of me. Don’t call me. I don’t care to fix this. I’ve given you 20x to make this right. I will be steering everyone I train away from using wells!!! What a joke!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I have been with Wells Fargo for over 20 years. I was fooled by an online scam that matches James Avery Jeweler's site perfectly. Once I paid for my goods the payment page (after submitting payment) did not look like James Avery's regular post payment page. I immediately called and cancelled my card with Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo did reverse the charge while investigating the charge. Fast forward 2 months, I never got the goods I ordered online, but Wells Fargo closed the case and paid the scammers. While I do understand the whole "buyer beware" thing, why is the onus on the only the consumer? I immediately (within minutes) called and cancelled my card. It seems to me that Wells Fargo must have something to gain from paying thieves.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I have been with Wells Fargo for 20 plus years. I have always had a great relationship with this company. Recently in the past few years they have been gradually increasing the yearly fee. I'm not happy about this. And recently I had a problem trying to get hold of my agent. I ended up talking with another agent to get my request put through. Seriously considering going through another investment Company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Trying to sign and have notarized loan modification paperwork for Wells Fargo at a Wells Fargo branch. Paperwork has daughter's previous name on it, but she has marriage certificate showing previous name and new married name. Notary at Moline branch will not sign as she cannot verify that daughter is who she says she is. It's Wells Fargo paperwork, she has a valid ID, and proof that she married since the original loan. This is beyond STUPID!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I have had a mortgage with them for some time and went to refinance since the rates were much lower now. After 4 months of endless paperwork, escalating my account and "we are working on it", I finally stopped the process. This cost me $500 in fees. I went through Commonfund Mortgage got a better rate and with less hassle and paperwork. The whole process took a month and a half. Who ends up buying the mortgage but Wells Fargo. Go elsewhere for your refinancing needs.

Wells Fargo Company Information