3.8/5 (1394 ratings)

About Wells Fargo

Wells Fargo (NMLS #399801), one of the biggest financial services companies in the country, provides home purchase and refinance loans in all 50 states. You can check rates online and then apply online, over the phone or in person with a local mortgage consultant. Loan options with Wells Fargo include conventional and government-backed loans, as well as jumbo loans and loans for new construction properties. As of the publishing date, Wells Fargo has temporarily suspended applications for home equity lines of credit (HELOCs).

Pros

• Free online banking and mobile app
  • Free money transfers
  • Large selection of financial products

Cons

• Low interest rates on savings accounts

Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides bank accounts, loans, retirement planning, investment services, credit cards and merchant services. It has more than 13,000 ATMs and 5,400 branches in 39 states.

Wells Fargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I have been a customer of Wells Fargo for almost 15 years with checking and savings accounts, mortgages, LOC and Money Markets. I have a personal checking account, an MMA, personal savings, and two business checking accounts. Total funds are over $92,000. My accounts were seized on September 20th after a Wells Fargo banker and branch manager in Fort Pierce, FL decided I was engaging in fraudulent activity. I sent a wire on 9/16 and misspelled the name, so it was returned.

I went back on 9/20 to send the funds to a different recipient working with the company I was investing with. The banker told me the routing number did not work, so I called the CEO of the company and got account information for another person on the project. I know the CEO of the company and I offered to invest in the project he and a group are doing in Europe. I was informed by the bank manager and banker that the wire was my responsibility and not covered for loss, and I agreed to that verbally 4 times. I said I would sign a document agreeing to that, since I know who I was sending the money to. At this point, the banker and manager went in the back office and came out after about 15-20 minutes. They informed me the routing number actually did work for the second recipient, but that the third recipient is a dead person.

The third recipient was on the phone with the CEO to provide the account information and was very much alive. They told me they suspect me of fraudulent activity such as money laundering and would not accept that the funds in my account came from a sale of property, even though I deposited the check at their branch. By the time I got home, all five of my accounts were frozen. I could not pay my staff or vendors, nor pay my mortgage and bills. My accounts that were frozen on 9/20 were supposed to close on 10/4. I was notified late on 9/30 that closure was delayed to 10/18. Late on 10/14 I received notice that the closure was delayed to 11/1. I did not get an email on 10/28, but got it late on 10/31 that the closure on all accounts is delayed again from 11/1 until 11/15.

All five accounts are being held hostage, with notification specifying "We are waiting for a bank to request a return of deposit to this account". There is NO deposit to return, the last deposit on 9/13 was a check of proceeds from the sale of one of my properties. The sale of the property and parties involved can be confirmed online in five minutes. A Suspicious Activity Report has also been filed on me. I cannot open new accounts, I cannot pay some of my bills, and this is a nightmare. There just cannot be a legal reason for Wells Fargo to continue to hold all of my money and destroy my credit.

I had to borrow $15,000 and drain all my other savings to keep my company going, pay my staff and pay my bills. Wells Fargo is holding hostage over $92,000 of my operating and personal capital. No-one will discuss anything with me or tell me why or what is happening...or when it will end. I am over 60 years old, and this is crippling my business and my life. I have never participated in fraudulent activity; I am a small business owner for 38 years and invest in real estate on the side.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

My experience with this department started in April 2021 when I filed a claim for fraudulent activity on my account. The claim itself was originally denied for reasons unknown. Of course I kept pushing Wells Fargo because this yes in fact it was fraudulent and it took four months which was in August 2021 for them to actually do anything about it. At which point I received a partial credit into my account and Wells Fargo‘s reason for a partial credit was due to them only being able to do a partial amount due to a certain timeframe. Since August 2021 I have been pushing Wells Fargo and asking questions to which they did not answer until today. So yes I’ll save you from doing the math. Total time from when it started until today is roughly 18 months.

I have been passed around to a total of 40+ “Case specialist.” Yes I put case specialist in quotes because I’m not sure if you can even call them case specialists. The reason I say that is because on numerous occasions I was lied to and given incorrect information regarding my case. On one occasion I was told by this “case specialist" quote that the reason my claim was denied was because I did not file the paperwork within a certain timeframe. At this point I’m confused because I know I did everything that I was told to do by Wells Fargo, so I’ve been asked this “case specialist“ what that timeframe was and he told me 60 days. At this point I’m fuming because I know for a fact that I filed the correct paperwork within that timeframe and then I explain this to him. At which point his entitled attitude seem to have disappeared and he got quiet.

After that he told me that he was going to escalate it and then give me a call back within 10 days. That call never happened. It took me finally getting a hold of what was his supervisor and being told that he was on vacation. Numerous times that I have called and spoken to someone I’ll need to be passed around to somebody new again over 40 times and which being provided inaccurate information. Until today which again 18 months later I spoke to a representative that told me even though I’ve been lied to and given all kinds of inaccurate information especially over this past year that my claim is still denied. I didn’t pointed out the fact that numerous employees have violated your own code of ethics on a number of different occasions and the only response from her was, "I’m sorry."

My advice to anyone would be to get away from this bank because it’s Full of dishonest people who have no clue what they are doing. I pointed out specific parts of their code of ethics that state that if Wells Fargo does make a mistake they will acknowledge the mistake and take action to fix it. They never did that. It also states that they earn their customers trust with honesty and integrity. In one specific email I even put in the definitions of both. And still nothing. The only thing they are doing is sweeping this under the rug.

What I am doing is letting the world know my experience and the hell that I have been through for the past 18 months in dealing with this. So again my advice to you would be if you are associated with this company at all you need to run away from it as fast as you can. I can assure you that anybody and everybody that I know that currently has any kind of business with Wells Fargo will know the hell that I’ve been through over the past 18 months and Wells Fargo will lose their business.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

I made a purchase for a pair of sneakers for my daughter for school on a website that I was unfamiliar with. It was the only site I could find the sneakers on. I entered my banking information and selected process to continue on with the order. The screen went dark and I waited and waited and I was never given an order number nor did I receive a confirmation email. Weeks later, I still never received the sneakers. I quickly checked my banking information and saw that I was in fact charged. I instantly called the bank and informed them of what was going on. They credited my account.

Approximately a month later, I received a letter that they reversed the charges and charged me completely for this particular incident that I reported to them. When I contacted the bank, I was told that the company provided information that documented the transaction. I quickly was shocked because I didn’t see how that was possible. Bank provided me with a phone number to the company which I have called multiple times, and always receive a busy signal. I did go to the bank. However I was refused my money back. It was $130 that I did not spend. Disgusted.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I have a savings account with over $110,000. I'm only receiving an interest rate credit/deposit of .91 cents! That is nowhere near the .01% Wells Fargo "claims" they pay. It is actually closer to .00001%. (which would be $1.10). My other Wells Fargo savings account has had a balance of $1,000 for well over a year, and only receives .01 cent monthly. A Class Action lawsuit should be filed against Wells Fargo for screwing their savings account holders on interest payments made to their savings accounts! I am sure they screw over tens of thousands of the customers, and should be forced to pay what they say they do. I am leaving this sham bank ASAP!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I found a small business this bank is continuously back stacked and removed deposits. Nothing causing excessive overdraft fees when I call to prove I'm wrong all they do is stand by what their computer says which is then audited by a human and they admit that. Last week I got one agent to finally listen to me and do some math she was able to magically delete overdraft fees not credit then literally delete them unfortunately for them I was able to record them this Bank needs to be shut down.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I am disgusted and appalled at Wells Fargo. I got scammed about a rental and I called immediately to file a claim and let them know so they can flag the receiver's account and help me retrieve my money. These are hard times and people are getting scammed left and right. So out of $3900 I was they initially reversed $2400. I was happy that I was able to get SOMETHING back, considering they supposedly have security systems and so called "fraud dept." but it's all a sham. They don't give two **.

Today I checked my bank and they reversed the credit and put me in a HUGE OVERDRAFT, WITHOUT NOTIFICATION ON TOP OF IT!!! Want to tell me basically that it's not their problem that Zelle or Cashapp sent the money. (I didn't expect them to do much about cashapp- but at least flag the reported account) The fraud department is USELESS AND COMPLETELY POINTLESS.

I've lost complete faith in wells fargo and I am switching bank. They don't care about their clients and I am for sure switching to another bank. It's not the first time they've pretty done whatever they want with your account but can't help you when you have a REAL problem. I've given them a chance considering it's not the first time they've either screwed me or caused me inconvenience, but I stayed with them. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY life! Switch banks while you can. Flag the receiving account and/ or provide me their information so I can bring the additional information to the police. But they won’t even investigate the frauds account. OR credit my account back the 2400 it was credited! I was content and it made me feel like my bank cared at least.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Very good bank with full service. Home loans, currency exchange, has a brokerage service in the area. Lots of online services too plus Zelle.. Always good customer service both in Gulfport and Beauvoir branch. I have done business with them since living in NC in 2006. My only complaint is they are not closer to us in Hancock County nor in La. There is a very nice former Hancock Whitney bank building for sale on 90 in Hancock that I wish Wells Fargo would buy! I use their checking savings and IRA for at least 16 years now. Always respectful service by phone and in branches. I like their presence in many places I travel to.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I stayed with them when they dealt with the fraud situation around 2012, after they stole money from all of their clients and enrolled them in fraudulent insurance scams (which was honestly the first red flag). I stayed with them after I noticed they overcharged my card with fees that did that apply multiple times (the second red flag). However, today, I finally just closed my accounts. I was on the phone with them for an hour trying to see how my card got connected to ApplePay, and after being transferred 5 times, the last person I spoke to who was supposed to be a Manager of some sort, hung up on me. Final straw. Can't trust them with my money or the security of it. After 10 years of service with them, will never come back.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I have been with Wells Fargo since their beginning in NJ, I used to love it but, since some months ago, the online banking application service is a disaster. Had called, they don't solve the problem. I have been uninstalling the app, as it was advised me to do, many times and installing it back to work with it and pay my bills, but now, doesn't work even like that. It's very annoying, stressful and horrible this service.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

If you're considering banking with Wells Fargo, reconsider. I just made an account for the sole purpose of writing this review. From user interface to customer service, Wells Fargo gets ZERO stars. F minus minus. Truly a horrible company: DO NOT BANK WITH WELLS FARGO unless you are a masochist.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I had to make an appointment a week in advance to open an additional corporate account and to get a deposit only ATM card. I arrived to find out the bank wanted additional corporate documents which they would not accept same day. The person I had the appointment with told me it was her first day back after a 30-day vacation so she could not have let me know about the issue previously and I would need to make another appointment. We have a 35-year relationship with Wells Fargo with multiple personal and corporate accounts.

This is not the first time they could not locate the corporate documents which we have provided at least 3 times previously. When you need to do anything other than deposit or withdraw money they are incompetent. We fortunately have, and we advise YOU to ALWAYS maintain more than one banking relationship so you need not put up indefinitely with stupidity. And of course, we can't recommend Wells as one of those banks.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I have been a customer of Wells Fargo for many years and when I wanted to change my password, they sent me a code by way of my landline. I did this without no problem back on 6/26/22. Know I want to change my password again and they will not let me do it until I buy a cellphone. I am 80 years old and all my friends have passed away. Why should I have to go out and buy a cellphone to change my password, so I can do check on my accounts online? Whoever is responsible for this screwup should be fired. I know that I am not the only one in the US that does not own a cellphone.

Original review: July 15, 2022

I had a terrible experience trying to retrieve money from my savings account, there was a thunderstorm which caused the electricity to go out as I was waiting for my cash to be dispensed, I received nothing, it's been a week and I still have no money to pay my rent. This is unacceptable, as banks are insured for incidents like this, I should have been able to get my money the next business day! What are the Cameras for??? As soon as they get that money back to me I will no longer bank with Wells Fargo ever again!

Original review: July 15, 2022

There have been some issues in the past between clarification or the Big Cross vs Wells Fargo I settle out for. Took too long to give me back my accounts. This began with the opening of 3 million additional accounts. The CEO of Wells Fargo made a statement on Capital Hill saying seven new accounts for each new customer is better. This was stated on senate floor plus the Wells Fargo remediation right after it really did not fixed it. Federal Trade Commission.

Original review: July 13, 2022

The Atm took my money and jammed 8 days ago, the teller and the atm said my funds would be available in 48 hours, still nothing. Had to file a claim and I still don’t have my money. Ridiculous. They are not helping.

Original review: June 29, 2022

Wells Fargo, first of all, has terrible recipient payment limits in place for their online payments and transfers via 3rd party vendor Zelle. I work for a company which primarily offers services via web application(s). I'm so used to our amazing customer service, and I expect the same from my bank. When I called to ask for the daily recipient payment to updated, which should only entail a 2 second database flag change, or have your Zelle integration team work with your vendor to make the change. Just flat out refusing to make an adjustment for TIME CRITICAL payments, is unacceptable. Instead I have no other option but to make 3 separate daily payments, each 24 hours apart, which puts me over a deadline. Having a policy which is so limiting to begin with is bad enough! But to be completely unwilling to assist a customer tells me, "You're not important to us, and neither is your business. We don't care if you go elsewhere for your business."

Original review: June 25, 2022

Wells Fargo is not a secure bank, my account has been hacked several times, I am on my third debit card. Most recently, today $1200 was taken out of my account which was unauthorized, I was told that I will get the Money back in approximately 10 days, lol! That’s a lot of money for most people, what if somebody had to pay rent, car payment or buy groceries. I am changing banks.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I was wrongfully charged on my Wells Fargo Credit Card. I received no communication from Wells Fargo before my account was filed as 30-60 days late. The first communication I received was a phone call after my account had gone delinquent, & there was no mention that I was that late. Once I disputed this, there was a complete lack of consistency into when, how & if I had been contacted about my late account. I had not received any communication, but they had posted statements on my online portal (every other credit card I know of, reaches out in an attempt to get payment if a customer has fallen behind).

When escalated to the Executive Office, it was requested that I get a letter from PayPal to corroborate the mischarging of my credit card. I did so upon their request but my case was closed out without any acknowledgement of my action. I was told that it is "illegal" to retract a credit reporting by multiple individuals within Wells Fargo. This is not illegal per the FCRA, which is inconsistent with what I was assured by these individuals. This organization appears to have Top-Down issues that is consistent with the issues that stem from previous executives to the new ones.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I have been a client for 24 years. We opened an account 12 months ago for my daughter and a year later they told us via mail we needed to come in and update her Social Security Number. We did this on 4/26. I received a second letter in May and called on 5/23 to ask why a second letter. They called me back on 5/24 and told me all was resolved and no more issues. Then on 6/7 they with out warning closed my daughters accounts while my daughter was on vacation. I called customer service and they told me after moving it to the highest person possible they would respond with in 10 days. I contact the local branch and they told me I had done all that was needed. They called me back same day and said bring in a Social Security Card.

The card is lost and we have ordered a new one. I asked if they would accept a w9 form. They said no only a Social Security Card. So now my daughter is stuck on vacation and Wells Fargo has frozen her accounts and will not fix the internal problems they have to unfreeze her account. I wish on 4/26 they would have asked for the card. I wish on 5/24 they would have told me they need more. I really wish my daughter would have access to her money she earned and needs while on vacation. This company is heartless and very unorganized. Do not use them.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Policy changes suck. If I'm buying a $5 money order I should be able to get it in the drive thru if I choose. They didn't seem to have a problem with it while they were terrified of Covid. Looks like I'll be going to Walmart for the same crappy service and paying much less from now on.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Where do I start. If you employ Rasheedah ** as a branch manager, I question your judgement. She is very unprofessional and rude. I don’t know if she thought because I was younger than her that she could talk to me crazy, I was not having it. She refused my business and proceed to call the police on me which was uncalled for. She is disrespectful. Do yourself a favor and don’t go to Wells Fargo.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I've been trying for months to close my account due to their new policies requiring me to do so as I'm no longer living in the USA. It's been a terrible experience, requiring multiple international calls as they don't have an email address. Finally, after I removed my money from the bank account through costly overseas ATM withdrawals as I can't transfer the money if I'm not living in the USA, they sent me a convenience fee so I still can't close my account until after paying an 8 USD debt fee. Utterly terrible bank. Avoid at all cost. The Entire process has been frustrating and costly. I recommend everyone to avoid them like the plague.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I was scammed by an online store fireamsforsale store. The online store went through a checkout process and generated an invoice. The website has an integrated chat that popped up and told me how to pay for my merchandise. It said to send a Zelle payment for $1,055. I did this through the WellsFargo app. I then discovered that the entire online store is a scam. It is still up and running. Wells Fargo did nothing about it even though I turned over all the screenshots to their fraud department. They said that even though Zelle is integrated into the Wells Fargo app that they have no responsibility for what happens. I have been a Wells Fargo customer for over 20 years. I can not describe how disappointed and angry this makes me feel.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I've been with Wells Fargo since 2007 and recently I've been having nothing but problems with my credit card and now my debit card. How can a REp within Wells Fargo keep over riding my info and sending it to AL. I've had 3 c/c send to a fraud address yet they can't answer why..A few times while talking with fraud department same young lady has hung up phone in my ear because she can't answer what I'm saying. They have let a person come delete all my personal info and put in their info and yet sent the card over night AGAIN to that fraud addy. Talk with suppose to be REP yesterday after get text message say I ask for verify code. Nope wasn't me. Talked over hour and REP assured everything would be handled.

Today I go into store to light shopping debit card declined. I call. They froze that now because somebody called and said to mail my debit card to that say fraud addy wow... Wells Fargo you sure can't protect me nor my assets. Looks as though time to find a better banking account. Here it is EASTER approaching and I won't have no money access till the following Monday but tells me to call if not received by Saturday. To be truthful I'm believing it's a internal job with Wells Fargo. How can they keep letting the addy be changed? At first it was just with c/c. Now my debit card being attacked. I've filed for grievance see what I can get. They should be able to go back to all phone calls and see what REP keep sending out fraud card....

Original review: April 7, 2022

Every time I call this bank I get out of state support, not in USA..I was so sick of this I closed my account, I'm done with you Wells Fargo. I was pulling my hair out trying to tell these people to transfer me to someone in the USA.

Original review: April 5, 2022

DISGUSTING HOW WELLS FARGO TREATS U.S VETERANS. I served honorably in the USAF. I live overseas in the UK. For no reason that was ever given to me I had 60 days to reduce my balance to $0 and close my checking account with Wells Fargo. They said since I couldn’t provide a U.S address then I would have to close the account. This account was to help me receive my social security checks. I asked for an extension to the 60 days since I would be returning later this year to the states, but was denied. Once again, no reason was given. Thank God, for Navy Federal Credit Union who appreciates its Veterans where I was able to get a joint checking account.

Wells Fargo will keep open the accounts for active duty U.S military who are overseas and rightfully so. My point is I served honorably, why are there exceptions for active duty, but not us veterans? Furthermore, they can keep accounts open, so why am I and all of us vets being penalized, because we choose to live overseas?

Wells Fargo also has the nerve to charge a $10 service fee if you are beneath a certain amount of money in your checking account. I knew of this and that is why I kept my balance well over that threshold. Remember, I had 60 days to get my checking account to $0. Of course, I will be under the threshold, because I’m trying to get it down to $0. I complained and they gave me a credit of $2.50. REALLY? $2.50 is the tip you leave on a $10 meal in a restaurant. It gets better…

I added Navy Federal to my Wells Fargo account so I could transfer my balance in my checking account with Wells Fargo to my new checking account with Navy Federal. Wells Fargo’s security can only send a text to a U.S cell/mobile number which I don’t have, since I live in the UK which meant my transfer was not going to take place. Also, if I wanted to change my security with Wells Fargo that it was going to be a $25 charge which should be free as it is with Navy Federal. I asked Wells Fargo to send me a check for the balance, but because I am not stateside that also couldn’t be achieved. Wells Fargo sent me by mail a form on options for closing the checking account. If I filled out the application I would have to get the form notarized by someone in the U.S. Once again, I live in the UK.

At this point, I have $16.00 in my account. I called them up and asked what will happen to my checking account since there are so many restrictions? They suggested that I take my form that was given to me and have someone at the U.S Embassy in London notarize it. I said I have $16 in the account! The cost of going up there and then their fees it is absolutely stupid.

The customer service agents at Wells Fargo suggested that I just take out the balance in my checking account from an ATM and I would be at $0. I am not stateside. Because when you do that here in the UK there are exchange rate fees. Long story short, I closed the account by writing a check to a stateside charity which got me to $0.

How Wells Fargo handled this entire thing is disgusting. I am speaking for all U.S Veterans and anyone else who suddenly had to close their U.S checking accounts, because we live overseas. We served honorably. We deserve to live where we choose. We pay taxes and are not money launderers. Beware of this bank, because they will pull the carpet from underneath you for no reason and their customer service is beyond awful!. The stress I have had trying to find a U.S banking institution has been an absolute nightmare. Two thumbs up for Navy Federal! The State Department Federal Credit Union also should be recognized!

Original review: April 4, 2022

I am a new account and from the start I have had problems with my account. I deposited 3 checks with them thinking I didn't have to worry and I would be financially secure. To my disbelief 2 out of the 3 checks I have deposited have been placed on hold. With the latest on having a 10 day hold. I don't know about anyone else but in this time when things are still stressful coming out of this pandemic last thing we should have to worry about Is being financially secure. I can say I don't feel this way with Wells Fargo Bank. Customer care is non-existent. I found them to be unapologetic and unhelpful. Telling me to call the other bank to verify funds. I will not be doing business with Wells Fargo too much longer.

Original review: April 2, 2022

Wells Fargo has implemented a glaring, non-customer oriented policy pertaining to checking accounts - even "Premiere" Checking accounts, which I currently utilize. They've decided to PUNISH customers who elect to receive hard-copy statements. Such customers are BLOCKED from viewing and/or downloading electronic (e.g., pdf) statements. This is tantamount to sticking a giant middle-finger in customer's faces.

Given the state of the US Mail (if I get them at all) statements often arrive 15 days after cycle close date, so I either have to *try* to call customer service and request a pdf, or go the Wells Fargo portal and manually copy/paste transaction data into a spreadsheet. Personally, this is a show-stopper, and I will be moving my business elsewhere.

Original review: March 30, 2022

Do not use Wells Fargo for any type of credit account. I set up my auto payments to pay off the promotion amount 1 month early and not have to stress about the monthly payments leaving me short at the end. I have just learned that I will have to pay over $400 in interest on a 0% deferred interest plan because part of my payments were allocated to another plan of far less value and due 4 months later. When I inquired about it, I was told I have no control over how my payments are applied, so even though I have almost completely paid for my initial purchase, I still owe $800 because a portion of my payments were applied to another promotion and I cannot do anything about it. Even if I wanted to pay off the $800 right now, I would have to pay $800 plus the portion due to the other promotion for the first promotion to be paid off.

Original review: March 25, 2022

They deserve NEGATIVE stars. Wells allows fraud and does nothing to protect their customers money. I was a customer for 27 years and they didn't care about my loyalty. They are a horrible company that allows money to be stolen from students and treat their customers awful. Please do not use this bank. There are so many better choices

Wells Fargo Company Information