4.5/5 (157 ratings)

Lock in your rate

Rates are expected to jump after the next Fed meeting

About Vanderbilt Mortgage

Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance (NMLS #1561) is a national housing lender that operates under the umbrella of Berkshire Hathaway. It specializes in financing both new and used manufactured, mobile and modular homes. Vanderbilt also finances improvements for these types of homes, including energy-efficient upgrades.

Pros

• Direct lending for used home purchases
  • Accommodates borrowers with lower credit scores
  • Numerous payment options
  • Home improvement loans with zero down

Cons

• No home equity loans or HELOCs
  • No in-person branches

Bottom Line

Vanderbilt Mortgage is a national lender helping people finance the purchase of new and used manufactured, mobile and modular homes. It works with all types of borrowers, including those without great credit. A loan specialist helps walk you through the application.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanderbilt Mortgage?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

It went real good with Vanderbilt. The other companies wouldn't give us a chance to get in the house but they did.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

There was a lack of communication with Vanderbilt. The lady selling the house would ask a specific question and Vanderbilt would answer around it. She would never get a straight answer from anybody. Up until the day of closing, we had no idea what was going on. In fact, the lady selling the house jumped all over someone and got things moving because we had no idea how to do the down payment and where the closing was until the day before. It took two weeks longer than what they said it was. That aside, everything else was fine. The paperwork was easy and that was all simple to do.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I had to do a few things to get exactly what I wanted in reference to getting the home that I wanted. I talked to Vanderbilt's rep, Katrina, told her that I saw this floorplan, and that I wanted my home to be like that. She was able to accommodate me and she ordered my home. But my process was crazy because I signed my papers about a month or two after I ordered my home. My home was supposed to be delivered in October but it wasn't delivered until December. After ordering the home, I was not getting any leeway and every month I was being told my home was going to come that month but it didn't. It went to the point where I had to go down there and was able to find out that initially, they never had a delivery date for my home.

Then, when my home came, I had a lot of issues and everything was wrong with my home. It's on my lot and I have yet to move in it. From what I'm seeing, the countertops were mismatched. When Katrina ordered the home and the manufacturers contacted her, they said they no longer carried the island that that I wanted but they never told me what kind of island I would get. Then they emailed and said they didn't have the flooring and when I asked if there was any other option that I could choose from, they sent me pictures of what flooring I could choose. They also asked me if I wanted to do a new countertop because they didn't have the same countertop as the one in the plan. I chose what I wanted but when the home came, the painting was another color, which I wasn't aware of. The painting wasn’t coated on the wall the right way either. There were spots that were white that they missed.

Aside from that, the bottom of my refrigerator has a broken piece to the bottom of it. They told me that wouldn't affect the refrigerator working but I have a broken piece on the foot of the refrigerator. Also, my sockets were crooked and weren't aligned right. It was like they just screwed the sockets in. Then, in some of the closet rooms, the ceiling was brown and they didn't clean that out well. When my trailer got on my property on December 28 and the whole time it was there, my front door cannot lock. You can go to my front door, push it, and it would be wide open. They didn't notice that and said that maybe it was the manufacturing of the door that was wrong. My mom even called the guy who helped with the delivery of the home on my behalf because I work so I couldn’t always talk to them. We even sent multiple pictures of what needs to be done.

Aside from that, the guy who was there doing my sheetrock told me that my top lock doesn't lock on my back door. But when you go to the front door, all you have to do is push the door and it would be wide open. They just found somebody to come and fix it. So, they fixed it. But the knob on the door has a stain. You can see the black residue where there had been some scratching off the paint from them trying to close the door to make sure the door latched. I told them I wanted a new door and they said they would clean it.

For my overall experience, I felt like I got a used mobile home and they just came in to fix it up. I'm supposed to be ecstatic and the house is coming along. But I feel like all the time I'm waiting for my house to be ready and they got me a used home that needs work. That was a bad experience for me to know that I walked into what's supposed to be a brand-new home and the home is not brand new. All this work shouldn't be done for a brand-new home.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Everything went smoothly with Vanderbilt and communicating with them was extremely easy. They always responded back and they kept me in the loop at all times. The rep I worked with helped with everything I needed and I didn't have any trouble.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

There are not very many places that will loan a double-wide or mobile home. Vanderbilt answered all my questions and if they didn't have the answer, they tried to find that out for me. We're not done with the process as of yet but it's all right.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

In the beginning, I wasn't told all the things that I had to go through in order to purchase the home. I thought it was going to be a quicker process. I didn't know it would talk so long. I didn’t know so many people were involved. I told them I wanted to be in by Thanksgiving, but I ended up being in by Christmas.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

Doing business with Vanderbilt was easy. One rep, Bethany, was very helpful and my loan specialist was good too. The only thing that was pretty hard was the bill of sale.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

Vanderbilt's loan process was pretty easy. Their rep was helpful. He always got right back to me.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Vanderbilt helped us as much as they could more than anybody else did. We appreciate everything they've done and they're doing for us. The rep we worked with was a very nice person. She helped us through everything.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

Everybody that we dealt with was very nice and helpful, except for our loan officer, Charlie. He was terrible and every single time, it was us having to reach out to him. Also, I wish he called us and let us know if he isn't going to be able to close on the same day. There were several things that he told us that different people from Vanderbilt were like, "No. Who told you that?" That was kind of discouraging. We had to scrounge up and get funds for this and that when really, we didn't even need it. It was very frustrating and my wife was really worried about it. And it was like he got frustrated whenever she would call him and he quit answering the phone for her. We ended up asking for a different loan officer. The new guy was with us the last two weeks and he was a great guy. He was easy to get along with.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

The whole process from the loan application to the close was so simple. I would highly refer them to all of my friends and family. They close between 3-5 weeks and other Companies said it would take at least 4 months.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

My experience is just this... I've been with them going on 8yrs come February 24th. I've had a total loss of all my belongings and my baby pup in a fire on November 28th,2021. It was ruled as a total loss and the homeowners insurance sent a check to cover the balance owed and my husband and I have lived with black mold ever since 2014 and I now have developed cirrhosis of the liver and spleen issues with massive swelling and vomiting as well as breathing issues and swelling of my throat among many other immunodeficiency issues since living there all these yrs dealing with the mold. Now we decided to try after the fire for a new home with putting our land up as collateral and were denied due to a car payment and the fact that he hadn't been at his new job but a few short months.

Now mind you we both draw disability as we have since getting the first home and neither of us worked then and our payments from disability were way lower than now and we had a car payment and he had a loan when we got our first home but now with way more income and only a car payment we no longer qualify to have another loan to replace our loss. Just a lil while back we qualified for a 115,000 dollar loan and now we qualify for nothing with better income and land to use for collateral... Can someone explain how they can get away with kicking someone who is already down as low as we are right now. Never been late on payments and all our bills has always been paid and on time with just our disability checks oh but now suddenly we can't keep up and make all our payments from disability alone as we've always done before? What's wrong with that picture?

I strongly advise anyone looking for a loan from them DO NOT TRY!!!! They are NOT the company you want and all those so called good reviews are a total crock of lies unless of course you are one of the rich people they love to see coming. I for one will never go to them again and the homeowners insurance company they use sucks as well only giving a measly amount of what I had worth-wise in my home and lost... just my sectional couch and washer and dryer unit cost more than I got for all I lost.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

It took a little longer to verify employment, but that was on my other employer's thing because it took them a while to get back to Kelsey, the rep. Apart from that, the process was good and my fiancee and I now have a house. I would highly recommend Vanderbilt.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

The process was a little slow, but it was good. It took longer than I thought it should have. The guy that started it out quit and they had to put us with somebody else. But other than that, everything's been good and the customer service has been wonderful. They call and check in often with us to make sure that there's nothing we need. They've been very patient with us and understanding with the weather conditions.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

Everything's good as far as getting ahold of them doing whatever they need to do. They contacted us before we needed anything. We knew we were expecting a call, but they always called a little sooner than they were supposed to, which is good.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

They were wonderful and they have good people. They're attentive to you and they know what they're doing.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Everyone there was super nice and kind. They explained things to us, the first-time homebuyers, and they gave me a phone number where I can pretty much always reach somebody if I need to. Also, they're super affordable and they worked with us. They offer great downpayment and monthly mortgage options.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

Vanderbilt's process took a little a bit long due to some issues with the title transferring. Regardless of that, it was fine. Everything else went fast. My rep answered all the questions and she returned calls fast. Vanderbilt explained everything clearly. They are a great company and they got me a home. Everything is working fine, so far.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

Everything is good with my dealing with Vanderbilt, getting this thing closed, and getting it all done. They were nice people and dealing with them has been nothing but decent.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

Vanderbilt was flexible with its credit guidelines for the loans that it offered. Anytime I called, somebody was always helpful. The person that I talked to the most was Jennifer. She was my go-to contact throughout the whole process. If I couldn't get ahold of her, she always called me back in a timely manner. She was transparent the entire process. In working with them, we were able to purchase our own home again. Overall, it was a good experience.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

The process was a little long but other than that, it was fine. Everyone was very nice. They were fantastic people and they handled it just fine.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Vanderbilt made the process super easy and smooth. It took just a few days to get approved. Customer service was always really friendly and nice. They also always answered any questions that I had. Vanderbilt was much more pleasant to work with than the home company.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Communicating with Vanderbilt has been easy and my rep was really nice. They answered everything I had and got back to me when they said they would. The process was as smooth as it could be. Go ahead and get with Vanderbilt.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

Conducting business with Vanderbilt turned out to be a lot easier than I ever dreamed it would be. Customer service answered every question we had. Everything's great. I would tell friends to definitely use them. No ifs, no ands, and no buts.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

Working with Andrew was a great experience, he was knowledgeable and explained everything. He addressed issues that we was having with the dealership. Would differently recommend using Vanderbilt for financing. Have already suggested it to a niece who is purchasing a home.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

The people at Vanderbilt were warm, very friendly, and open. My loan rep was awesome and he called me to help calm me down. I thought the process was gonna be two to three hours long. I got in there and everything was on PowerPoint. It was so cool and very easy. Everything went so smoothly. It was calm and I wasn't nervous.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

They were very quick and easy to deal with. They kept us informed and would answer any questions to the best of their knowledge. I would recommend them to family or friends. Thank you for being so prompt and patient with us.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I love my choice of home that I have chosen, working with Mrs. ** was easy, making the next step, until completed, thankful to her I did had a wonderful experience. 14×76 purchased in Summer. The home is now located at **.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

We tried the FHA first and it was taking so long. They were dragging their feet. We switched to Vanderbilt because there was a little more money and everybody was so much faster, and that's definitely what we wanted. We were going after the time frame. We wanted to get it done quickly and they were always able to answer our questions too.

Doing business with them was easy. I called and spoke with one of the customer service ladies and they transferred me to somebody else. Then they got me the same person that remembered me and then I talked to my loan officer a few times. I left messages, they called me back and they were just all over it. They were really good about it. I wish my house payment was a little bit cheaper, but that just goes by the credit. Hopefully, we can refinance down the road. But they've been good and I feel good about it.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

Vanderbilt Mortgage was the best option. It was a smooth and quick process.

Vanderbilt Mortgage Company Information