1.22/5

143 US Education Department Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I am having problems with student loans that are over 10 years old. The loan was not paid in the 1st year nor the 2nd year...and so on... Why don't the Department of Education have loans that can be written off after 10 years... Why do need a program that doesn't forgive the loan? The stipulations and the conditions are crazy and not conducive to the cost of living. And by the way, the cost of living is going up; not down.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have my student loans paid off by a private company back in December 11, 2011 with the letter stated that these loan have been paid in full. I go every 4 to 5 years and without fail the dept of education sent me a bill to pay loans that are not mine. I have sent them the same letter so many times and they still have not closed my case. I spoke to someone. They claim that this loan went into default in 2013 which is impossible because I have not been in school since 2010 and said some name of school here in Houston that is not here and now am getting harassing phone calls from a student forgiveness center. I simply want my account closed in full and stop being harassed for a debt that is not mine. I have a very common name and these loans are not mine. This women won't agree with me and tell me am wrong and I need to pay. Am not pay for something that is not mine.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I started student loan rehabilitation in January 2017, I am out of Default and in an Income Based Repayment plan. Currently, my monthly payments are $0. According to my Loan Servicer I should have gotten my tax returns this year, but when I check my return status with the H&R Block app by connecting to the IRS it says my tax return is being denied to me.

My Servicer says they don't take my taxes so I have to contact the IRS, but the IRS documentation says they only take returns when requested by a Servicer. So who the heck do I contact? And is it even worth it, will I be able to get the $728 that will mean the difference to me of not having to return to living on the streets again or is it just gone for good? An answer would be appreciated as this isn't an exaggeration.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I filled out every form that applied to my situation and they still took my tax refund this year. I don't even obtain a high school diploma or GED so how am I liable for a loan that clearly didn't benefit me. This company see money and don't care that the money they are taking is to help pay debt and bills in their household. My opinion is that they shouldn't have the right to garnish somebody money until they can prove with evidence that they owe. I don't even have any record of this debt and for them to do this is not right but I believe in God and I pray that he works in my favor regarding my situation.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I applied for borrower's defense and should not have an offset, called treasury. It said I had no offsets. Filed my taxes. Still no offsets, where's my refund. Said my taxes was sent to my bank on the 22nd. Not there on the 24th. Looked again and it said I had an offset out of the blue. Call today. It's DOE call them. They should not be getting it but will take 2 months to get it back to me. REALLY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Education Department?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I have been going back and forth with the US Edu for a week straight about how they never sent me a notice telling me I'm in offset. I have been in a repayment program since 2016. Stop paying then starting again in 2017. They told me that they sent me a notice I've never received in AUG 2015 then I talk to conserve that I go thru for my monthly payment and they told me I've been in offset since 2016 and that a notice was sent out THAT I NEVER GOT!!! They literally have took everything from me and my two kids on this refund and told me I can't apply for a hardship because homeless doesn't count as a hardship. I was playing on getting me and my kids on our feet this month with my tax refund. Now I don't any of the money nor do I have a job or place for me and my kids to stay. THANKS to them I don't know what I will do. I'm a single mother who really was counting on that money to help us get it together.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

So they pulled every penny of my tax refund. I never got notice or anything. Last time I'd spoken with someone about consolidation they told me I HAD to pay half up front and that was that. I forgot about it after that honestly, until they pulled my tax refund. Right now, my family is technically homeless, which does not count as a "hardship" to try to get at least a partial return. How is that not a hardship? Also, found out that they did send me a letter... to an address I lived at 3 years before I even started school. That address was never on any paperwork. I don't know why they decided to pull that address out of thin air. THEY sent it to an address I never included on any paperwork, that I lived at YEARS before even starting school and yet it's 100% my fault I didn't get the paperwork they sent me? I'm sick of money grabbing government places not having to follow their own rules before they wind up stealing from us little folks.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

The DOE claims to have sent me a notification of their submission to the DOT for my loans falling into default back in July of 2017. I NEVER! I repeat. NEVER received a letter of notification of such action. I had been in constant contact with the DOE since Thanksgiving of 2017 going through the process of setting up an income based repayment plan. I have been paying them consistently since December 2017. The day before my federal tax return was to deposit into my account I get a notification that my tax return is being withheld. Upon some intensive digging I found out from the DOE why. When I told the DOE that I never received any notification I was told and I quote, "Well, we show that the letter was sent so we're good on our end. It doesn't matter if you didn't receive it." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?

Upon speaking to the supervisor, I was basically told (in a much more professional way) the same thing. HOW IS THIS LEGAL?!? My wife and I were going to pay off so many of our debts with our return to get back on our feet, financially and the DOE and DOT has ROBBED that from us! It's absolutely INSANE and in my opinion, a COMPLETELY flawed system!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Department of Education is the worst, made payments to them then had to stop in 2013. Not only got divorced but was homeless and no job, they constantly harassed me then last year and this took 2000 from federal taxes. I'm still homeless and still cant get help because of them, I dont understand how a 1700 dollar bill isnt paid off and how I can still owe them. I need help. This isnt fair nor right.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had some federal student loans by US Department Of Education. However it was paid off but they are still stalking me and harassing me to collect more money from me for a loan that has been paid off. They are trying to falsely take me to court and they use companies like Penske, U-Haul or Enterprise, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and police, sheriff, fire dept., ambulances and construction Dominion, Verizon, AT&T and Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Jhon's and many other such businesses private and federal to stalk me to still try to collect from a loan that is already paid off in full. They are abusive debt collectors and I want them to quit harassing me to still collect from a debt that has already been paid and all these companies to get a restraint order to leave me alone and I will have no choice but to inform my attorney in reference to this matter.

US Education Department Company Information