1.22/5

143 US Education Department Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

The United States Education Department has been fostering a dividing moral and hurting our communities through its inability to offer education at a price that is affordable with job security and benefits. Every state and its education system has several flaws which are never questioned or talked about in the public or judicial sector. There has been a lot that has been done to keep the rich more affluent and the poor struggling and hurting. I know that this behavior is in direct violation of our freedom of speech and freedom to pursue our happiness.

As an immigrant coming from a family of two hardworking parents who have pinched every penny to ensure that I, my sister and brother get an education while paying the mortgage, taxes, healthcare, food, and clothing; need to speak out about this. I have undergone and witnessed a rollercoaster of ever-changing laws, rules, and regulations that the Education Department and schools choose to build.

I remember what it felt like when I first started school, the freedom of expression, the challenges, learning to read and write, learning how to share and be kind and supportive of my teachers and building friendships. Which later turned into dull, repetitive routines, the fun-challenges turned into trivial test and sour faces with a desperate yearning for a path toward an internship, sponsorship, a fun job. This followed more examinations and scores of repeat lessons which claimed to guide us toward the right school and profession.

For my parents education was a priority and having come from a war and survived, they were thankful to be alive and used their energy by working day and night to afford the basics for our family. They put their trust into the education system and believed that it would guide us to a better life. Which was wrong, because as a graduate I can say that from elementary to high school it was the same, there were a few excursions, fun teachers and memorable moments. I could honestly say that it was a waste of both our taxes and the teacher's patience.

I will explain how critical this period is a little later, but in high school, I noticed a lot and kept a keen eye, ear, and nose out, while delving into the arts, reading up on many authors, and catching up on different cultures. I developed a love for speaking up for the truth and those silenced by was writing about the falsifiable histories published by groups promoting the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover" while doing just that to the human face.

This notion is what the college student undergoes every moment of the day, no longer are we set into a predetermined routine. In college my studies guide my routines, my work and research drove and expanded my passions, and my labor was its wheels and wings. As a student these notions I taught myself while the smirks of my teachers, peers and presentations/assignments became the force which made me question the entire system and how it was creating its own mistakes.

The Education system, its board members, its lenders and its borrowers are in clouds of forever thought; they have reached the pinnacle where they were philosophizing and prying off professors and students. Which in turn makes for comfortable professors and trusting students. This is where students lose an excess amount of money and time while professors, and board members, lenders, and borrowers all gather a large sum of money which is either put to good use or disappears.

This education system has created a form which makes it very expensive and difficult to earn a higher level of education, and it has monopolized the human brain and its abilities which is against our human rights. Our lives are very precious, and we don't have much time to enjoy each other's company or see new adventures and learn lessons that are not taught through repetitive notions. As humans, we can change a lot to better our race and make a heaven on earth if only we could get those who are in charge of social structures like the education system to adopt principles which help guide us from childhood to a happier and prosperous life instead of clouding our families and us.

Throughout my higher education, I have pushed myself through all the government war revved, religious and dangerous divides. Its ignorance showed through the marketing and televised nonsense that the country funds and kept my focus on learning about how to use my skills and abilities to help the young and the old through this while speaking out and writing about its faults. I've gotten many hateful messages and lots of backlash about the promotion of natural and conscious systems of social structures. It has been very challenging but from my experience speaking up is never easy and tears will fall when so many are blind to the unjust.

That is why as a concerned citizen and human I am writing not only to express my sorrow and sadness in the system but ask for help in fighting to improve this system. There are many ideas, notions, and abilities the United States Education system lacks to acknowledge, which in turn promotes a separation. I'm writing about all the people that are forced to take other actions that usually result in building and maintaining ignorance and the lack of community and motivation to help one another. This system promotes wars, and governmental divides instead of unity, handshakes, and the constructions of cross-cultural business and the improvement of life. I would love advice and support in fostering and supporting schools and programs that support healthy lifestyles for their students and families.

I feel if we recognize the schools, teachers, and business that are supporting a an education standard that supports discussion, culture, and fosters and grows talents, innovations, support systems and community outreach programs which help students and their families develop a better understanding we would benefit as a world.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

This agency is horrible, charges a high interest rate, chase people as if they were murderers. After my son finished school he couldn't find work for years he had to serve in the military. I paid for my son school. They were not happy and trashed my son's credit to its lowest point of 1.6.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I am currently going through the nightmare of dealing with my student loan debt with the US Department of Education. I have recently become disabled and unable to work. I am on a fixed income of collecting Social Security Disability Benefits that took me nearly 2 years to collect to now have the government garnish my benefits. I do not get a lot of money and live with family as I am not able to financially live on my own. I have done everything the Dept. of Education has asked me to do thus far and they have had me jump through so many hoops to do all they require to stop the garnishment of my benefits and they are still be garnished. It is a never-ending nightmare dealing with this agency. The constant proverbial runaround has you beyond frustrated and there is absolutely nothing you can do about there is no place to complain. There is no one to govern them.

I mean does the government need money so bad that they are taking money from disabled people. Something needs to be done with the way they lie to you and have you calling 5, or 6 different phone numbers but all affiliated with the US Dept. of Education. I think they are all in the same room in the same building have a good laugh at everyone who calls them. Frankly I am done with all their mess. If I get another garnishment on my benefits they are going to have a situation.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I've had to defer and reconfigure my payments a good many times. US Education Department were flexible and understanding and helped me stay on track. I was able to stay within my own means and never default on my loan.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Yes, college should be free for all. These business's loan collectors, loan officers, and other entities are robbing the American citizens & the government is letting it happen for a % of the monies. It really hurts me that my own gov't. would do this to us. I can believe it. My own gov't. had me lose my housing, my car, my children, and my dignity. It hurts my heart that my own gov't. will sit back & have my credit messed up. That affects my housing, getting jobs & getting back into college but I believe my gov't. would do this to me for greed because my own gov't. Sat back & had me incarcerated because I'M a minority. Sat back & laughed at me while my children was placed elsewhere. My own gov't. so yes I believe my own gov't. would sit back & let its own American citizens attend a nonaccredited college & sit back and laugh at those that attend while the gov't. & banks steal our little bit of coins from their citizens.

The constitution says pursuit to happiness. I'M not happy but stressing & from stressing a person gets sick. Life, love, & liberty where how dare you how could you big gov't. wealthy bank owners steal from the poor & keep getting rich off our little coins. Lying, deceiving & theft by deception of your citizens shame on you Gibbs College, the big gov't., the big rich bank owners, the collectors shame on you all. Citizens of the United States we need to come together. Petition the courts, protest, and fight for more that we deserve like other countries. Many countries' college is free, health insurance is free, housing is free or low for all. We as American citizens deserve better. I pray for all of us in this universe. God bless all of us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Education Department?

Original review: March 4, 2017

In 2012 my wife received 4 subsidized loans to further her education. These loans were based on attendance and grades. One of her lecturers did not keep an attendance record and as a result her loans were dropped and she was unable to finish her degree. These loans over the last 4 years were transferred to Sallie Mae, Great Lakes, Coast Professionals and finally consolidated through Performant recovery inc. With the promise that if we kept up our monthly payments there would be no issue with our tax returns. Well today we received a letter from the Department of Treasury stating our entire refund "expected this week" was being sent to the Department of Education Federal Offset Unit, we had no warning and believed the company dealing with us "Performant" had specifically advised us this would not occur.

I believe surrounding the attendance error we have a case with "borrower defense" for one. Secondly on contacting the Department of Education Offset unit we were told they had no record of Performant and only had loans showing with Coast Professionals?! We have a clear history of payments with Performant and were never once contacted by Coast professionals or any other loan company after starting with Performant in 2015. We received our tax return in 2015, and in 2016. Yet this year suddenly we are losing our lifeline with no warning and no breach of repayment?! I have a car broken on my driveway and rent due, a 7 year old child and no way to travel or quickly resolve an obvious government or loan company error. What can we do to stop this theft and false/misleading practice by our government and it's lending company's. My family is on the street in less than a month from this post due to this fraud.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

When calling the offset line to see if we had any offsets, due to being offset last year for a tax debt. We found out that the DOE was offsetting our taxes. They sent no notice to us, nor did they even tell us our forbearance didn't go through and our debt was sent to collections. Now, we find out our entire tax refund is set for offset. We went into rehabilitation when we found out about this, yet, they still say they're taking our taxes. We asked about hardship and they keep giving us the runaround on that as well. We have filed a petition on whitehouse.gov asking that the DOE send notifications by certified mail. If this is also happening to you, please feel free to sign the petition too.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

My review is to express frustration and let others know they are not alone. Additionally, I hope my review helps those who might be considering to take out assistance called student loans. My debt has grown to a gigantic amount of 250,000 dollars. I would say that maybe 100,000 of that is actual principal. The rest is interest that has accumulated over 28 years. I am in the REPAYE program and recently was switched over from Navient to FedLoan Servicing. I thought Navient was bad but FedLoan is worse. My loan transferred and not without a lot of drama. Case in point: The loan wasn't transferred correctly and I couldn't make a REPAYE payment because they didn't transfer it correctly. They finally admitted after two months that they had made a mistake. They gave me 12 days to pay the two months of payments if I wanted it to count towards my loan forgiveness.

Additionally, they did not transfer over a payment from NAVIENT as they claim it was 5.00 short. They forgot to add the money in and they have been informed. I called them to figure out a payment plan to get the two months of payment worked so I could have a chance to come up with the money. I was told no many times. The phone person even said to make a payment every week until it was paid for. When I became outspoken, the phone attendant started adding on more requirements in order to get the two months to count towards my loan forgiveness. When I asked for everything to be put in writing I was told they didn't have to. I said that everything needs to be in writing and they told me that they could call me. Finally, after the payment day came and went I received a letter that wasn't nice at all. They cited a department of education rule that they could call me. I researched that rule and found that the rule is only for those in default.

My loan has never been in default and payments were current. I cited the fair credit debt collection and explained to them that everything has to be in writing. As far as I am concerned they lost their phone privilege with me. I frankly don't care if I am in the grip of servitude. The loan servicer nor the department of education own me. I feel that my 13th amendment rights have been violated. I live in fear of the consequences that I am told over and over, from the department, the loan servicers, news articles, that there will be legal consequences if I don't pay on the student loan. Everything from wage garnishment, tax offsets, lawsuits and being sued. How am I supposed to fight this monster that I can't get away from. I have called lawyers but no one will take on this case even if I feel my credit rights or loan payments are not properly applied.

Anyway, over this last incident, I have realized that the department of Ed nor its servicers are really interested in seeing people not succeed in paying of loans or receiving forgiveness. I figure that because of the misapplication of loans or going into programs it takes off 3 months a year. This applied over 10 year is 30 months which adds on additional 2.5 years. Not to mention that over 10, 20 or 25 years life events come up that force one into forbearance. This ends up accumulating more interest and adds time toward the loan forgiveness. So unless your lucky student loan forgiveness of 10, 20, 25 years can turn into a lifetime.

The department of Education has figured all this out. The government actually uses money loaned to students as an asset. They like anyone else try their hardest to protect their assets. They make close to a 100 billion a year in interest. My story is a lot longer than this but hopefully this is enough to to help others to not feel so alone and to think before taking money from the department of Education. The money they give is predatory and leads to no good.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I had to deal with US Ed Dept (ED) many times and they are very corrupt. First, I filed a Borrower's Defense when a college ripped me off by not teaching required accreditation content. It was rejected on the technicality that I was not offered Direct Loans at the original institution. I was never told that consolidating loans would disqualify me from filing the defense. I complained to ED and they did nothing to ensure the college taught the material and to protect the public from graduates who didn't learn the material. When I became disabled ED caused my discharge to be delayed by not responding to a paperwork request from Nellnet and forcing me to refile six months later. Finally, they allow colleges to lie by underreporting their student loan defaults. They only count loan defaults during the first two years of repayment.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I had my federal income tax withheld because it was said that I was in default that was only after the fact that I file my taxes. However at that time I was already having a hardship. Thus I had to file a hardship letter with the Department of Education. I filed it April 11th are they received the April 11th and I had to keep calling and calling. I then found once they sent the checkout it was only a partial check for $550. With that being said that was not part of the hardship. I don't know who makes that decision but that was very wrong which leaves me in deeper hardship than before my family becoming homeless. We lost everything.

This was a very hard slap in the face by a branch of our government. With that being said I didn't have a partial hardship, I had it hardship none the less. They ended up keeping the other $7,300 that was my other part of my tax return. It's unbelievable that they can do it upstanding citizens like that and put them in a greater hardship than what they was already in. I'm very unsatisfied with the Department of Education and the way that they have done my family and myself.

US Education Department Company Information