2. Education
  3. Student Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

US Education Department Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Education Department?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Education Department?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

The DOE claims to have sent me a notification of their submission to the DOT for my loans falling into default back in July of 2017. I NEVER! I repeat. NEVER received a letter of notification of such action. I had been in constant contact with the DOE since Thanksgiving of 2017 going through the process of setting up an income based repayment plan. I have been paying them consistently since December 2017. The day before my federal tax return was to deposit into my account I get a notification that my tax return is being withheld. Upon some intensive digging I found out from the DOE why. When I told the DOE that I never received any notification I was told and I quote, "Well, we show that the letter was sent so we're good on our end. It doesn't matter if you didn't receive it." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?

Upon speaking to the supervisor, I was basically told (in a much more professional way) the same thing. HOW IS THIS LEGAL?!? My wife and I were going to pay off so many of our debts with our return to get back on our feet, financially and the DOE and DOT has ROBBED that from us! It's absolutely INSANE and in my opinion, a COMPLETELY flawed system!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Department of Education is the worst, made payments to them then had to stop in 2013. Not only got divorced but was homeless and no job, they constantly harassed me then last year and this took 2000 from federal taxes. I'm still homeless and still cant get help because of them, I dont understand how a 1700 dollar bill isnt paid off and how I can still owe them. I need help. This isnt fair nor right.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had some federal student loans by US Department Of Education. However it was paid off but they are still stalking me and harassing me to collect more money from me for a loan that has been paid off. They are trying to falsely take me to court and they use companies like Penske, U-Haul or Enterprise, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and police, sheriff, fire dept., ambulances and construction Dominion, Verizon, AT&T and Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Jhon's and many other such businesses private and federal to stalk me to still try to collect from a loan that is already paid off in full. They are abusive debt collectors and I want them to quit harassing me to still collect from a debt that has already been paid and all these companies to get a restraint order to leave me alone and I will have no choice but to inform my attorney in reference to this matter.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

The United States Education Department has been fostering a dividing moral and hurting our communities through its inability to offer education at a price that is affordable with job security and benefits. Every state and its education system has several flaws which are never questioned or talked about in the public or judicial sector. There has been a lot that has been done to keep the rich more affluent and the poor struggling and hurting. I know that this behavior is in direct violation of our freedom of speech and freedom to pursue our happiness.

As an immigrant coming from a family of two hardworking parents who have pinched every penny to ensure that I, my sister and brother get an education while paying the mortgage, taxes, healthcare, food, and clothing; need to speak out about this. I have undergone and witnessed a rollercoaster of ever-changing laws, rules, and regulations that the Education Department and schools choose to build.

I remember what it felt like when I first started school, the freedom of expression, the challenges, learning to read and write, learning how to share and be kind and supportive of my teachers and building friendships. Which later turned into dull, repetitive routines, the fun-challenges turned into trivial test and sour faces with a desperate yearning for a path toward an internship, sponsorship, a fun job. This followed more examinations and scores of repeat lessons which claimed to guide us toward the right school and profession.

For my parents education was a priority and having come from a war and survived, they were thankful to be alive and used their energy by working day and night to afford the basics for our family. They put their trust into the education system and believed that it would guide us to a better life. Which was wrong, because as a graduate I can say that from elementary to high school it was the same, there were a few excursions, fun teachers and memorable moments. I could honestly say that it was a waste of both our taxes and the teacher's patience.

I will explain how critical this period is a little later, but in high school, I noticed a lot and kept a keen eye, ear, and nose out, while delving into the arts, reading up on many authors, and catching up on different cultures. I developed a love for speaking up for the truth and those silenced by was writing about the falsifiable histories published by groups promoting the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover" while doing just that to the human face.

This notion is what the college student undergoes every moment of the day, no longer are we set into a predetermined routine. In college my studies guide my routines, my work and research drove and expanded my passions, and my labor was its wheels and wings. As a student these notions I taught myself while the smirks of my teachers, peers and presentations/assignments became the force which made me question the entire system and how it was creating its own mistakes.

The Education system, its board members, its lenders and its borrowers are in clouds of forever thought; they have reached the pinnacle where they were philosophizing and prying off professors and students. Which in turn makes for comfortable professors and trusting students. This is where students lose an excess amount of money and time while professors, and board members, lenders, and borrowers all gather a large sum of money which is either put to good use or disappears.

This education system has created a form which makes it very expensive and difficult to earn a higher level of education, and it has monopolized the human brain and its abilities which is against our human rights. Our lives are very precious, and we don't have much time to enjoy each other's company or see new adventures and learn lessons that are not taught through repetitive notions. As humans, we can change a lot to better our race and make a heaven on earth if only we could get those who are in charge of social structures like the education system to adopt principles which help guide us from childhood to a happier and prosperous life instead of clouding our families and us.

Throughout my higher education, I have pushed myself through all the government war revved, religious and dangerous divides. Its ignorance showed through the marketing and televised nonsense that the country funds and kept my focus on learning about how to use my skills and abilities to help the young and the old through this while speaking out and writing about its faults. I've gotten many hateful messages and lots of backlash about the promotion of natural and conscious systems of social structures. It has been very challenging but from my experience speaking up is never easy and tears will fall when so many are blind to the unjust.

That is why as a concerned citizen and human I am writing not only to express my sorrow and sadness in the system but ask for help in fighting to improve this system. There are many ideas, notions, and abilities the United States Education system lacks to acknowledge, which in turn promotes a separation. I'm writing about all the people that are forced to take other actions that usually result in building and maintaining ignorance and the lack of community and motivation to help one another. This system promotes wars, and governmental divides instead of unity, handshakes, and the constructions of cross-cultural business and the improvement of life. I would love advice and support in fostering and supporting schools and programs that support healthy lifestyles for their students and families.

I feel if we recognize the schools, teachers, and business that are supporting a an education standard that supports discussion, culture, and fosters and grows talents, innovations, support systems and community outreach programs which help students and their families develop a better understanding we would benefit as a world.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

This agency is horrible, charges a high interest rate, chase people as if they were murderers. After my son finished school he couldn't find work for years he had to serve in the military. I paid for my son school. They were not happy and trashed my son's credit to its lowest point of 1.6.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I am currently going through the nightmare of dealing with my student loan debt with the US Department of Education. I have recently become disabled and unable to work. I am on a fixed income of collecting Social Security Disability Benefits that took me nearly 2 years to collect to now have the government garnish my benefits. I do not get a lot of money and live with family as I am not able to financially live on my own. I have done everything the Dept. of Education has asked me to do thus far and they have had me jump through so many hoops to do all they require to stop the garnishment of my benefits and they are still be garnished. It is a never-ending nightmare dealing with this agency. The constant proverbial runaround has you beyond frustrated and there is absolutely nothing you can do about there is no place to complain. There is no one to govern them.

I mean does the government need money so bad that they are taking money from disabled people. Something needs to be done with the way they lie to you and have you calling 5, or 6 different phone numbers but all affiliated with the US Dept. of Education. I think they are all in the same room in the same building have a good laugh at everyone who calls them. Frankly I am done with all their mess. If I get another garnishment on my benefits they are going to have a situation.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I've had to defer and reconfigure my payments a good many times. US Education Department were flexible and understanding and helped me stay on track. I was able to stay within my own means and never default on my loan.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Yes, college should be free for all. These business's loan collectors, loan officers, and other entities are robbing the American citizens & the government is letting it happen for a % of the monies. It really hurts me that my own gov't. would do this to us. I can believe it. My own gov't. had me lose my housing, my car, my children, and my dignity. It hurts my heart that my own gov't. will sit back & have my credit messed up. That affects my housing, getting jobs & getting back into college but I believe my gov't. would do this to me for greed because my own gov't. Sat back & had me incarcerated because I'M a minority. Sat back & laughed at me while my children was placed elsewhere. My own gov't. so yes I believe my own gov't. would sit back & let its own American citizens attend a nonaccredited college & sit back and laugh at those that attend while the gov't. & banks steal our little bit of coins from their citizens.

The constitution says pursuit to happiness. I'M not happy but stressing & from stressing a person gets sick. Life, love, & liberty where how dare you how could you big gov't. wealthy bank owners steal from the poor & keep getting rich off our little coins. Lying, deceiving & theft by deception of your citizens shame on you Gibbs College, the big gov't., the big rich bank owners, the collectors shame on you all. Citizens of the United States we need to come together. Petition the courts, protest, and fight for more that we deserve like other countries. Many countries' college is free, health insurance is free, housing is free or low for all. We as American citizens deserve better. I pray for all of us in this universe. God bless all of us.

Original review: March 4, 2017

In 2012 my wife received 4 subsidized loans to further her education. These loans were based on attendance and grades. One of her lecturers did not keep an attendance record and as a result her loans were dropped and she was unable to finish her degree. These loans over the last 4 years were transferred to Sallie Mae, Great Lakes, Coast Professionals and finally consolidated through Performant recovery inc. With the promise that if we kept up our monthly payments there would be no issue with our tax returns. Well today we received a letter from the Department of Treasury stating our entire refund "expected this week" was being sent to the Department of Education Federal Offset Unit, we had no warning and believed the company dealing with us "Performant" had specifically advised us this would not occur.

I believe surrounding the attendance error we have a case with "borrower defense" for one. Secondly on contacting the Department of Education Offset unit we were told they had no record of Performant and only had loans showing with Coast Professionals?! We have a clear history of payments with Performant and were never once contacted by Coast professionals or any other loan company after starting with Performant in 2015. We received our tax return in 2015, and in 2016. Yet this year suddenly we are losing our lifeline with no warning and no breach of repayment?! I have a car broken on my driveway and rent due, a 7 year old child and no way to travel or quickly resolve an obvious government or loan company error. What can we do to stop this theft and false/misleading practice by our government and it's lending company's. My family is on the street in less than a month from this post due to this fraud.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

When calling the offset line to see if we had any offsets, due to being offset last year for a tax debt. We found out that the DOE was offsetting our taxes. They sent no notice to us, nor did they even tell us our forbearance didn't go through and our debt was sent to collections. Now, we find out our entire tax refund is set for offset. We went into rehabilitation when we found out about this, yet, they still say they're taking our taxes. We asked about hardship and they keep giving us the runaround on that as well. We have filed a petition on whitehouse.gov asking that the DOE send notifications by certified mail. If this is also happening to you, please feel free to sign the petition too.

US Education Department Company Information