1.22/5

142 US Education Department Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 7, 2015

Attempting to pay back my student loans. I sent in a preauthorization debit application for each The Department of Education and ECMC. The Department of Ed began the debit but ECMC did not. ECMC turned me over to collections and charged 2535.66 additional funds. When I called the collection agency I got no answer and their voicemail was full. When I called ECMC the automated system will not let me talk to anyone. Once I give my info to the system I am told I have two loans in collections to continue press two. When I press two it says goodbye. TRYING TO PAY!!!!!!

Original review: March 4, 2015

I ended up in default on my US Dept of Education Student loans because I was never contacted in any manner of how much, when, or where to send payment after I graduated. I had some student loans through Sallie Mae, and they contacted me and I easily set up an account and started paying. I thought I was paying everything I needed to. I did not realize that I had to pay back to separate organizations, and they helped me stay in the dark by not notifying me EVER of anything until I started getting collection calls.

By the time I knew that I had missed payments, I was already in default on my loans. I called them and tried to find out what I needed to do, and told them that I had never been notified of anything I needed to pay. Their response was, "we don't have to notify you of anything." This was in 2013 and I am still trying to get out of default. I went through a divorce and a bankruptcy that was an effect of the divorce, and this complicated things even more.

I had been making payments for a few months. Right before the bankruptcy I set up a payment plan as part of a "loan rehabilitation program" and was told that if I make 9 consecutive payments of the agreed upon amount, I would be out of default and all of the extra fees and interest would be removed at that point. I told them that I was about to file for bankruptcy and they told me to keep paying my loans and even if my account was transferred to a different dept, I would still get credited for them as part of the plan to get out of default.

Well I filed for bankruptcy and at that point my account was sent to a different dept, I stopped being able to monitor my account online, and when I called to ask questions they told me that they could not answer any questions while I was going through bankruptcy by law. (because less knowledge, guidance and control over your debt is EXACTLY what you need when you are trying to get your accounts in good standing....right...) I was advised by my lawyers to keep paying my student loan payments, so that's what I did.

I decided to call and check with the US Dept of Education to check if there was anything I would need to do after my final (9th consecutive payment) went through, so I would be out of default. They seized my Tax refund last year. When I called this December (2014) I was told by a very robotic customer service representative that in August they changed the way they calculate required payment amounts, and because I was never officially enrolled in a Loan rehabilitation payment plan, none of the payments that I made will count towards getting me out of default, and in fact do not meet the new higher rate (as of Aug 14) that requires 15% of Gross monthly income as a payment amount.

I was never notified of any of these changes, nor was I ever directed to or sent any "official" paperwork to start a payment plan. I set it up on the phone and followed the directions of the person who helped me. In fact, I talked to at least 6 different people and NOBODY ever told me that I wasn't officially enrolled in the payment plan that was supposed to get me out of default! He told me to keep paying in the mean time, but that I will need to set up an official payment plan and start over! I can't afford the more than $400 a month that they are asking me to pay for the payment plan, so it is an impossible goal to aim towards. I was so upset I almost started crying and eventually hung up.

After thinking for a while I decided that I needed to see a statement of how much I owe, and to confirm where my tax refund went from the previous year. I also asked if there was a lump sum that I could pay to get out of default. I called back to ask these questions and was told that "we don't send statements in this office." The girl I was talking to actually seemed understanding after I couldn't control my crying. She told me that she could see in my file where it was documented that they told me if I complete the 9 consecutive payments that it would be considered as out of default, but after speaking with her manager, she told me that they could not apply any of my previous payments to help get me out of default.

She told me that I could write a letter and mail it to another address if I wanted a statement of where my payments have gone. They told me I could propose a "payoff amount" to work out a deal to pay off the whole thing. My parents were willing to loan me money just to help me get out of default, so I submitted this document, but was denied. The letter simply stated. "When you signed your promissory note, you agreed to pay the full amount of your loans plus any late fees and interest fees. "

I have been begging the people on the phone to help me get out of default and I have been paying every month for more than a year, but I am no closer to getting the default status taken off of my loans. The financial documentation I provided clearly showed that I cannot afford the payments that they are asking of me, but all of my requests have been denied.

I am a teacher so my income doesn't necessarily reflect my education and it is a struggle just making ends meet month to month. I am told that there are programs to help teachers get lower payments, but I have to get out of default to qualify for these programs! It is an endless cycle meant to keep people down. I believe that they don't want people to get out of default because it means less fees and interest that they will receive.

What kind of organization is allowed to not send any notifications, provide any statements or documentation of where your money goes, and can change the rules on you at any time without letting you know? It feels like a hopeless situation to ever get out of default. I am considering hiring a lawyer, but obviously money is an issue, so I'm not sure how long it will take me to save up. Especially if they take my 2000 tax refund again.

Original review: March 3, 2015

My taxes were offset to the sum of over 5000.00 even after I sent all the paper work in for deferment. They even started taking the money out of my account. I called the doe and they were very rude. I tried explaining to her what happened and she didn't give a **! These people are spineless and soulless. And they say We the people... I say me myself and I. This country sucks. I'm not mad at those third world countries, at least they fight for what they believe in!!!!!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I put my loans in rehabilitation with the U.S. Dept. of Education and been paying my payments on time and they still took my whole refund check of 8247.00 & they had told me when I started the program that they wouldn't take my refund check or garnish my wages. They are so full of **.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I'm a Single Mom of a 7 year old and have my own Mom living with me who is a stroke victim and amputee. Last year, my taxes were Offset. I didn't find this out UNTIL the day my refund was to arrive. At this time, my landlord sold the house we were living in and we had to get out. Considering I was battling Cervical Cancer, this tax refund was how we were going to move. After jumping through numerous hoops and proving my story, I was given the money back. I then began a payment plan with Pioneer Credit Rehabilitation. It's a piddly amount I pay each month BUT I PAY, and I was told in the fall by Dept of Edu that I would NOT be Offset for the upcoming tax time.

While I had gone back to work in the fall, my hours were only part time and then come December, I lost my job, resulting in being behind on rent. I'm being evicted now. My tax return was to be used for an entire years security in a house while I get settled in the job I am beginning on Monday March 2 2015. Well, when I made my payment to Pioneer on the 11th, it was them that informed me of my Offset. Oh, I was set off then. I contacted the Dept of Edu and was told that I could send numerous paperwork in and it would reissued to me. I was relieved.

I called back that following Monday to be told, "Oh, there is a note from the last person that you talked with stating that he had misinformed you. You are not eligible to get your return since you got it back last year." I fell apart. I told them that I was a single Mom, being evicted and living off of Food Stamps. NOTHING helped. I spoke to a Supervisor who was extremely hateful and told me that under no certain terms can I have my return. Come on, we are talking $11,000!!!

I NEVER have EVER have received in the mail a letter claiming an Offset from them. They insisted that I got one in October of 13. I never did. I only get bills.

I feel that with a payment plan being followed. No matter how little amount it is, you should get your refund. Or, they need to take a percentage of the refund. They SHOULD NOT be allowed to just literally STEAL every hard earned dime, not only from the person getting the return but the family as well. Something and I mean SOMETHING has got to be done. I'm all in for filing a Class Action LawSuit against the Dept of Edu. I have nothing to hide and nothing to lose. Yes, I owe them money and no, I am not trying to get out of paying. However, at this point, they are ruthless in dealing with and they need to be held accountable for the families that they are hurting come tax time.

I know that I am not the only single parent who was depending on this. Heck, even married couples depend on this refund each year to catch up financially. Let's get together and see what we can do. In the meantime, I had to create a gofundme account this afternoon to help come up with my deposit and first month's rent. I have no one to turn to for help. Please pray!!!! What can we do? Who's in for going after them like they go after us?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about US Education Department?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I don't think it's right that the IRS and treasury offset program can take your whole income tax return and you get nothing. I think it's disorganized people who can't pay their bills and can't find work, or can't get unemployment like me relied on the income return to pay their bills, now get nothing. Ya'll don't care about the little folks at all. The loan forgiveness program that President Obama set up sucks because ya'll want us to repay our loans back, but it's hard with no money coming in but you want to penalize us.

Maybe you should get the USA out of debt instead penalized us. The way you treat the little people is wrong. I am furious with the IRS, US government, and department of education. I really hope ya'll feel bad because I am fixen, to homeless, electronic turned off and now can't afford my medication but ya'll don't. You could at least leave me some of my income tax money to live on selfish people the US government, IRS, Dept of Education are.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I was in need of my Tax Return this year more so than EVER. I looked on the IRS website to ONLY find my refund has been "APPLIED TO PAST DUE FEDERAL OBLIGATION." Well I don't owe child support so it must be MY STUDENT LOANS? Of course it is. The US DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION did a TAXES OFFSET and didn't even let me know they were doing SO. Well there went a DEPENDABLE VEHICLE for me to be able to get my child back and forth to CANCER TREATMENTS. THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL GOVERNMENT I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT. I have no problem paying my student loan back. I just can't at the moment due to HER ILLNESS. JUST totally UPSETS ME TO NO END.....

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

I am truly surprised to see so many people going through this. Today is February 23rd, 2015 and I am scheduled to be evicted on February 25th for the first time in my life. Why? Because I work 30 miles from home and I had to pay money to get my vehicle fixed. I still need engine work done and new tires and I was expecting to use the little bit of tax money I received to pay it. I am a single mother also. The HUGE problem is that I NEVER received any notice that they were taking my refund money. I also, consolidated ALL of my student loans (at least that's what I was told).

I am currently in a forbearance with them but another group was calling me stating that I have another student loan I have to pay. "What??" I was told that ALL of my loans were consolidated. They responded "who told you that?" They told me that I could consolidate my undergraduate loans with my graduate loans because I already consolidated my undergraduate loans in 2002. This is the FIRST I've heard of this. I document every phone call. If they had given me some kind of notice about taking my tax money, I would've looked into borrowing against my pension which I've never done before but I would've done this to stop us from being homeless.

I am going to write a letter to the Governor and anyone else who's listening. I think that collection agencies should be mandated to inform people of the tax offset via certified mail to start. Secondly, communication is horrible.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2015

I have student loans and I did not finish so first off I lack the education to support my potential, my experience and work ethic. I had been in a Rehabilitation program for the better part of 2014. In December of 2014 I lost my job through no fault of my own. I missed a payment with Rehab program. In January 2015 I found part time work at a chain dollar store making 7.50/hr. Was making 15.00/hr at lost job. Called to VOLUNTARILY get current with Rehab program stating that I wanted to avoid having taxes seized. Was not told that because of missed payment seizure was inevitable because the consecutive payments had not been made.

When I lost my job as in life all bills came due. I borrowed money to stay in our INCOME based apartments that was based on my 15.00/hr job. My truck is beyond repair and uninsured so we have no transportation. Rural area so no public transpo. Coworkers get me back and forth to work. And we have applied for food stamps and are awaiting that decision. My wife of 13 years and I have 3 children ages 11, 12, and 13. Our water has been off for 2 weeks now. I'm trying my hardest to stay positive but when Dept of Ed. come thru and takes the whole $8200 needless to say we are devastated.

This system is broken. I know I owe the money and have every intention of getting all my debts resolved. But they are already garnishing me for 15% plus my monthly payments. Why does our government penalize hard working people just because they are not rich? They are not less than or stupid because they don't have the same resources as a family with family money or a lucrative family business. This is very disheartening and I would be unopposed to finding a better way to help families that have a span bad breaks than kicking them when they are already walked on. This is not right no matter how you slice it and what you yell yourself to sleep at night. Signing out from frustration and beyond...

Original review: Feb. 20, 2015

My student loans were consolidated on Feb 4th, 2015. Texas Guarantee, who had my loans, was paid in full by my FedLoan and I received a confirmation letter from Texas Guarantee. I also called and they confirmed my balance is zero. I owe no other loans. On Feb. 5th, I filed my taxes and was to receive my return on the 19th. However I seen a Topic 203 for an offset for Texas Guarantee for the amount already paid. I called the Ed Department and was told that there was nothing they could do - even though I don't owe the money, it would still be taken because they can't reverse an offset. I have talked to the IRS, Texas Guarantee and the Ed Department who amazingly can't do anything, when they initiated the offset.

I received the letter from Texas Guarantee stating they requested the Ed Department suspend my offset on Feb. 10th because the debt was already paid. Now my refund was sent to Texas Guarantee but no one knows who owes me refund, yet they all agree I am owed one. Where do I get my money back from? Don't know what to do.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

Blindsided by 2014 tax refund offset - homeless, jobless, car-less.

I began taking online classes in 2012, and received loans and grants to pay for them. I have chronic health issues (an entirely different complaint trying to receive disability) which were recognized by my school, placing me in a special program. I was allowed a grace period to turn in papers, so long as I formally submitted the necessary paperwork the day before the due date (this was their procedure). Roughly 2 days prior to a deadline, I receive an email detailing a new procedure, in an extremely confusing manner. I replied and called my advisor (this was the only person I could speak to regarding my classes/health services agreements) several times, leaving many frantic messages explaining that I wasn't sure how to proceed with requesting a deadline extension under the new procedures. I received no response.

Therefore, 24 hours prior to the due date of my final I submitted the "old" completed form as I had always done. I emailed my teacher explaining that I was aware of the new procedures but didn't know exactly how or what to send, resulting in my sending the old form. Long story short, she failed me and my advisor contacts me days after the original deadline. My old form was not accepted although I had proof of several inquiries made to my advisor trying to obtain assistance with the new procedures. He said that he would rectify the situation. Within a week, my school had dropped my future classes, and would not even speak to me.

I was sent to their collections department, of which would not help me unless I paid almost $4000 within 30 days to cover the class. I had no consistent source of income and 3 children. I explained my finances and the situation resulting in this mess, yet they refused to speak about anything or put me through to my advisor until I made the full payment. After 30 days, the total cost for the entire year and a half worth of classes was sent to collections, and I began receiving calls and letters. I spoke to a rep from the lender and told her that I had absolutely no income at that time, and was in extreme hardships. She said that I would need to pay as soon as possible and I assured her that if I had any extra money, I would.

Fast forward 2 years, my health took a turn for the worse, my children had to move in with their father, I lost my home and was renting a room in someone's house. The only income I had was from friend's assistance (which wasn't much nor regular), and odd jobs that I could manage when my health allowed. My roommate got deported after 6 months of me living there, and told me 2 days prior. I have literally no family, and 2 friends. I stayed with a friend for 2 months, and continued working odd jobs, and saved a measly $800. My friend needed me to leave, as the original arrangement was for only 2 weeks, so I began staying in a hotel. After a week of that, I began renting rooms on a website where people host an available room in their home.

Current situation, moving my 2 boxes by bus and train daily to different homes, in which I pay up to $60/night and have no money for dinner. Performing odd jobs during the week, crying myself to sleep at night from the pain all over my body, no insurance, can not afford my medications, and trying to earn enough daily just to survive. I was DESPERATELY relying on my income tax (I earned less than $9000 annually from self employment and claimed 1 dependent), just to find out the day before I was supposed to receive a deposit, that the entire $2830 was seized! I needed this money to find a home, a simple efficiency or even a stable room in someone's home. I literally have nothing but 2 boxes of clothes, shoes, and photos of my children, who I can't even see because I have nowhere for them to come and can't afford $10-15 a day to get to their home in the next county and back.

I have always been financially stable and independent until I started experiencing an array of health problems 5 years ago. I had insurance at that time through my children's father's employer, and was in the middle of getting tested for Lupus and MS, among other ailments. About a year ago, their father took me off his family plan because he felt it wasn't safe for him since we were no longer together. I used to own a business, drove a luxury car, had a nice home, savings in the bank. My medications were costing me almost $1000 a month the last 6 months of 2014 (which was reflected on my tax return). I physically cannot walk most days, and am limping around, carrying my things day after day, in unsafe neighborhoods, just trying to keep afloat for the next 24 hours. That refund LITERALLY would have changed my life. Of all the years, this was the 1 time I desperately relied on it.

How can the DOE offset my entire refund of $2,830, on an outstanding loan of more that $30,000, and my annual income is way below the poverty line with 3 children?!?! How is that even right on a moral level? I am beyond disgusted! I have never received government handouts. I have been a tax payer for years, and a contributing member of society. Now I am literally homeless, can't afford an attorney to get disability, can barely afford to eat, and lost the only source of income that would have changed everything. Not to mention, I lost all 36 credits, 4 shy of my degree, and will be paying for this for the rest of my life. If God does not send me a miracle, I will surely not make it much longer.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

My refund was intercepted by the US Dept of Education. Not only did they take my refund they did so even though the promissory note does NOT contain my social security number. They openly admit that it does not match what mine is but because the number was "hand written" in, it doesn't matter because I signed it. I have asked for a copy of the promissory note since Nov of 2014 and I have YET to receive it. They actually have the audacity to tell me “You got it, you know you got it, you're just ignoring it" by a supervisor named Dimitri. I responded that “if you truly believe that, send it certified.”

I paid off any student loans that were under my name and my social security. This loan was stemmed from a 1996 consolidation loan that was done that I have always denied was not mine. When I got the phone call regarding for me to do this consolidation, I made it clear that I will not sign my name on a contract with a social security number that is not mine. After a long debate and despite my protests over owing this loan, the woman told me, “I tell you what; I will send you the paperwork, sign it and return it.” I did get the paperwork but when I saw that it was NOT under my SSN, I did NOT sign it and I did NOT return it, and I am 1000% certain of that fact. 20 yrs ago it may of been, but I know I didn't sign it because I spent 45 minutes on the phone trying to tell that loan officer I would NOT sign it. Nobody has ever proven to me that this debt was mine.

I can't even prove anything because the US Dept of Ed. REFUSES to send me a copy... well let me rephrase... they TELL you they sent it, but if you don't get it, it's YOUR fault. They won’t even send it certified upon your request. From 1996 to 2015 the US Dept of Ed NEVER proved this was my debt. Not once. They told me it was up to me to prove I didn't owe it. I thought I more than proved that when the credit bureau sent them my dispute that the debt was mine and it was removed off my credit report because the US Dept of Ed could NOT validate the debt.

What more was I supposed to do? And all these years later they gave the IRS my SSN number and took my refund...a SSN number that wasn't on the promissory note and they openly admit that the number is not the same as mine??? I don't understand this. I just don't. I have called an attorney, they don't know. I have tried the tax lien attorneys, they don't know. I tried the Inspector General's office (referred to them by the US gov website), they can't help. I even contacted the Ombudsman through the US Dept of Ed. and got routed to Default Resolution instead.

I'm waiting to hear from them but I read in a review about this area, and it doesn't sound very promising. Where is someone in my situation is supposed to go or what to do? The US Dept of Ed stated to fill out an unauthorized signature form and I need 2 signatures that either has to be 1yr before or after 1996, which I have. I was told by them that I don't need to have the copy of the promissory note to send in my dispute but frankly, given the underhanded way, they took it upon themselves to route this under my SSN to take my refund.

I feel that what they did was dishonest and underhanded and frankly I want that form before I send mine in so that way I am assured that no tampering was done. I know I didn't sign that form, and I can't even get a copy of it. Now I have to wait until the end of March. It's a shame. We are all tax payers here but yet when it comes to dealing with Government agencies we are thrown to the wall. We have no rights, we have no protection.

Updated on 07/16/2015: A few months ago I posted on here. I am doing a follow-up. Dealing with the DRG and the Ombudsman's group has been a complete joke. The Ombudsman's office, the very group that's supposed to be NEUTRAL actually stated to me, "did you attend the school?" And I said "yes but..." and she cut me off and told me I owe it. What does that have to do with ANYTHING of my dispute? What I uncovered about my loans is truly appalling. I also discovered the great means and deception and even what I construed as fraud by the US Dept of Ed and they did so willfully, knowingly, and maliciously. Let this be a serious warning to others to WATCH YOUR ACCOUNTS!

In 1986 and 1987 when I was 16 yrs old I attended a local side Barber College, something I never disputed. However, I was told I had Pell Grants and the college led me to believe I did. In fact, 27 days after graduating I attended Beauty College and yep, every bit was covered by Pell. It wasn't until 30 yrs later that I actually finally got the copies from the US Dept of Ed and did indeed discover they were actual loans. But wait. The first loan, when I was 16 yrs old, that loan is not even signed by a lender at all. It looks like an empty application. According to the most BASIC contract laws, it renders that contract void, or so it should.

The second loan, when I was 17 yrs old was signed by a lender. But here's the real kicker. On both loans the lender actually changed my SSN. Yep, you heard me right, the lender actually changed the number on BOTH loans even though they were a year apart. This is why I never knew about them and why no payments were ever made. Fast forward to 1994. I went back to school in 94/95 with NO issues (even though I was unaware there was a defaulted loan under my name/incorrect SSN since 1993). I got both Pell and student loans and I graduated.

In 1996 and NO DOUBT they crossed referenced me in the database is when I got a call in February of 1996. There was NO WAY they found me any other way but using the database. This is important because they knew that it wasn't my SSN prior to contacting me. Imagine my surprise to discover this loan when they called me. I told them I wasn't aware, that it wasn't my SSN but I did attend the school and it is my name. They wanted me to do a consolidation and I told them I wasn't doing any consolidation without proof and if that proof was valid it MUST be under my correct SSN. In an attempt to do the right thing and settle the debt I cooperated, but only so far.

The US Dept of Ed filled out the promissory note. They told me over the phone it was only to get the process started, that it would take about 3 months to complete. She told me it had to stay under the incorrect SSN for now but by the time I got the lender contract I would have my proof and the SSN would be corrected. She also asked for what she called "good faith" payments which I made during this process. By the time I got the lender contract that I was to sign, I never received the proof, and the SSN was never corrected. I did not sign and I did NOT return that lender contract and I stopped all payments. My last payment was April of 1996. The lender finalized this loan on May 9th 1996. I never legally borrowed that money from the lender AELMAC which the US Dept of Ed admitted was their affiliated lender.

The US Dept of Ed submitted to a lender willfully knowing that the SSN on that promissory note was not mine, and they used an affiliated lender to complete the consolidation without my knowledge or consent. And what is the lender's most BASIC FUNDAMENTAL JOB? Verifying that all their information is correct and accurate, but guess what, they finalized the loan under the incorrect SSN--two departments and both kept it under the incorrect SSN and it is MY STRONG BELIEF they did this to re-secure to what I construed as invalid original loans. It is also my strong belief as to why they never wanted me to see those copies either, as I demanded as proof of the debt.

I never heard another word from ANYONE, not a call, not a bill not anything. In 2003 I saw that it was put on my credit reports under the incorrect SSN. I did a formal credit dispute (which I have documents that show they did in fact receive it) so what did they do? Nothing. That's right, nothing. They refused to validate the debt and it was removed (and still to this day does not show up on my credit report). They then proceed to continue to not change anything despite being given this information and still continued to report my name and incorrect SSN for a (get this) an additional 12 yrs.

Why 20 yrs? Well I tell you why. Because they wanted to wait until that lender AELMAC folded before coming after me to pursue this debt. Yes, you heard right. Because guess what, AELMAC had on my for that "loan" I supposedly borrowed. Nothing. Not one single document. In fact, when they returned this defaulted loan in 1997, they only stamped and returned the promissory note (oh and with a self attached sticker of the "repayment schedule" that wasn't even there during signing as I signed in Feb and the sticker was attached in May).

A month later the US Dept of Ed contacted the lender and I actually have it documented on a copy of their pursuit activity sheet. They asked the lender what collective actions they took while holder of the loan, listed NONE. They asked for employment date, the lender listed NONE. They asked for relative date, the lender listed NONE. In fact, they had NOTHING. The US Dept of Ed knew in 1997 what this lender did. They knew.

Highlights from my written disputes: At the top of the form of the promissory note, it states it's an application. I asked what made it go from an application status to a final status and they refuse to answer. It also states in the section where I signed that I promise to repay as according to my repayment schedule and its disclosures. There IS NO repayment schedule. It also states it MUST BE SIGNED prior to going to a lender. It states clearly that I would be given a copy of my repayment schedule at time of discharge of the loan. This loan wasn't discharged until May and I never got such copy and one doesn't exist.

So despite ALL the other things the promissory note states--they don't care and are totally disregarding it. What is killer to me is there is actual lender info on the original loans (that's how I knew the SSN was changed by them cause it is correct on the actual promissory notes) but yet, not one stitch of anything from the lender on the consolidation. To add insult to injury, on the original promissory note the US Dept of Ed actually stamped the incorrect SSN on the promissory note with the correct SSN on it. Their excuse in an actual denial lender: the reason why it wasn't changed was because the LENDER didn't have my SSN. What the HELL does that matter??? You HAD the promissory note.

So needless to say it is clear they pick and choose what they want to use to hold the debt valid and pick and choose what SSN they want to secure it. They gave the IRS a SSN that isn't even on the promissory note, the VERY promissory note they weren't willing to use in 1993 or 1996. Now, they are telling me it is ONLY the promissory note that they need to hold this debt valid. And last but not least, in 2012 they did an "internal" review to change this debt with my SSN but yet kept reporting the incorrect SSN to their collective agency Systems Assets Management. Never had I dealt with an inept group. They should change their name THE DEFAULT RESOLUTION GROUP RESOLVES NOTHING, they resolve NOTHING.

I am now trying to secure an attorney. I feel utterly defeated. I know what they did. This was NOT about me bailing on a debt. All my other student loans were paid off 8 yrs early in fact. I even offered to settle the original debt up to May of 1996 and they refused. They really expect 22K in nothing but interest and fees on a loan they set up and finalized behind my back. 5125.00 loan has now turned into 32K principle and it took me 30 yrs to even get a single document from them. They expect over 6,000 in collection fees even after I submitted my formal credit dispute they continued on reporting without any corrections. I submitted an FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) which states I have a right to my entire case file. I confirmed receipt on April 8th 2015. Federal Law mandates a response within 30 days. Now, they can't "find" it. Their arrogance knows no bounds.

Whatever happens (as I am going to try to speak to an attorney about my case but like one told me "it IS the government") I will go to my grave knowing the US Dept of Ed set me up and did a consolidation behind my back and used their affiliated lender to do it. Call it fraud, call it whatever you want. But I know what they did to me, and so do they and they deliberately waited until that lender folded before pursuing me so they knew I wouldn't be able to contact them. They knew fully well on my stance over the phone. They knew I wouldn't do it without the proof and the correction so they just did it behind my back and kept it under the same number. This was NOT a mistake.

HEED MY WARNING, watch your loans carefully. If you attend school and have taken out loans but quit, make sure the money has been returned. If you get a bill stating you owe, do NOT ignore it (yes, you may believe as I did and expect the debt to be proven, but they don't have to do NOTHING and it will only accumulate). Do NOT let this linger because if someone borrows money out under your name and SSN and you are not aware, the signature samples you need two and they MUST be within on year of the date signed. The longer the time goes by, the more difficult it will be to obtain such signatures within that time frame and they will NOT bend on that rule.

The one thing I found about the DRG group is they will NOT provide me a single excuse, answer or explanation on how they handled my case. Even the fraud department rejected my dispute in 7 lousy days. Yep, 30 yrs and they rejected it in 7 days with a feeble excuse. My last denial--they actually had the nerve to tell me those 3 payments were an "acceptance of debt". 1) those payments were made on the original debt, not the consolidation debt, and 2) Their own documentation states you MUST PAY even if you are in a dispute. Talk about double standards.

To the US Dept of Ed, you have no morals, ethics or decency to what you do to people. You are killing this country and its youth. You have made it clear that all you care about is getting the money back and you spit on people to do it because most of us minions don't have a way to protect ourselves and fight. You couldn't be fair to me, even when I offered. Your betrayal 20 yrs ago and current is evident and the documentation does not lie. You stole my money and along with other Government agencies will continue to squander our hard earned money. I love reading how the VA doesn't even take care of their patients to the point they die. I love reading how Pentagon employees ran up over a million dollars in adult entertainment and gambling fees. Need I go on?

Your behavior speaks for itself and so does the documentation. You knew in 1997 when you contacted that lender, you knew then. You didn't even question that lender why they had NOTHING or done NOTHING regarding that loan. You didn't even take any reasonable action against them. You instead hid what they did and I will go to my grave believing that.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2015

Out of no where I call the treasury number and they tell me that I have a debt with pioneer recovery and they are going to offset my taxes.. I have never hear of them, never received a call or letter from them but you have the right to offset my taxes? That's not right I am a single mother of 2 a year old and a 4 year old and they took every dime...

Original review: Jan. 29, 2015

I filed our taxes (wife and mine) on 1/20/2015, as usual they were accepted quickly and I anticipated no problems as usual. I checked the status of both my state and federal return today. To my shock and amazement, the whole amount of both is being "offset" by the Dept of Ed. Offset is a nice word for them stealing it. We never received any notice from anyone that this may happen. What really boggles my mind is that they are steal, or taking over 8 thousand dollars to cover a supposed 1200.00 dollar default.

Never mind the fact that that money was going to replace our furnace and repair my wife's car. I guess she can lose her job and go on unemployment. Maybe we should also sign up for energy assistance to pay for the furnace. The Gov't. makes no sense, steal from the poor. Maybe by the time, they get off their asses and process the injured spouse claim. My wife's car will have broke down and she will have lost her job so we can explain why she needs unemployment. The fact that they refuse to issue you receipts for the money they take is downright WRONG. But hey, at least the illegals in the country will have all the resources they need!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I was contacted several times for a collection agency stating that I own $1800.00 dollars to the Us Department of Education. I told them that I had no knowledge of any debt with the US ED. They insisted that the account belongs to me. I contacted the US Department of Education in writing to request additional information. They sent some forms to fill up. I filled them up and sent them including a copy of my driver licence. I requested copy any of document signed by me, name of the school where loan was originated, contacts names and or telephone numbers to follow up. They responded sending me one page.

The name in the form was similar to mine social security, driver license and previous addresses did not match. I called them again to let them know that I never ever had a student loan, the social security did not match. They said that social security was as an identifier and for that case any number can be used. Once again I told them that they may had confused me a similar name as mine. Until now my $1800.00 dollars are lost, I just can believe a government agency be to so fraudulent and what is even worse backed up by the Federal.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

I was on a rehabilitation program for 9 mos and finished it on September 1, 2014, I filed my taxes on Sept 29, my refund was sent to the dept of Education after I completed the rehabilitation which I was told by custserv that if I did this program I would eliminate any salary or tax garnishment, on top of clearing up the negative tradeline on my credit. So I called the default resolution dept, and explained what happen and they told me they would put a request in for a refund and it will take 90 days.

I couldn't believe it. Here I am a single struggling mother who was recently diagnosed with MS and about to lose my house. I needed that refund to get on a payment plan with my lender. The rep I spoke to said "oh don't worry it's not tax season, it should only be about 30 to 45 days." Well 30 days goes by and I call again to get update and this time I spoke to a supervisor, at that time she said it's more like 60 days, meanwhile I feel like I'm talking to a robot, she just kept saying "I'm sorry ma'am, it will take 60 to 90 days" over and over again.

60 days later I call again and speak to a complete jerk who was a supervisor. Now he saying "oh no ma'am we have 90 days to review for an approval on your refund and then if it's approved we send the money to treasury and they send you a check. If we don't have approval by the 10, then you can escalate the refund decision but that will take another 45 days." "WHAT THE Hell, you're saying I did everything right to get in good standing and just because you sent the letter to treasury late, I don't get my refund and meanwhile losing my home."

I was furious, so I waited til the 12 and called and they told me the Treasury electronically withdrew the money and I should be receiving a check anytime between now and 20 days. Nope!!! I called the treasury today and they had no idea what I was talking about. They had no money showing owed to me or sign of a refund. I couldn't believe it, I have less than 10 days to make my mortgage before my fees and cost jump into foreclosure.

So I called again the Dept of Education and spoke to the rudest supervisor, and he definitely was a robot. I keep trying to ask him questions and he just kept saying "ma'am you will have your check in your mailbox on the 7th of Feb." But I said "the Treasury said they don't have a refund for me," again he says the same thing over and over again, I lost it and hung up.

This is so ridiculous. I work hard for every penny I get to provide for me and my children and here is a government agency giving me the run around on my refund. When we are default they call us 10x a day, talk condescending while trying to collect and if it's treasury and we owed them they charge high interest and we can't get our refunds in a timely matter, when they made this mistake--I didn't.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

Apparently the government who "works for us" does not think being unemployed is a hardship (have to be homeless or close to) and feels they should "offset" my tax refund despite taking $7000 last year for which I got no credit for. (That amount should have brought them current). But instead they left them defaulted. I understand I owe the money but in this situation, a family of 6 with no income, that is a hardship.

Their "apologies" are of no assistance. An offset would be taking 15-20% like they do when they garnish your wages. At least they leave you some to live on. In this case they do not. (Got no credit for the garnishment either, as I said, kept them defaulted). It's simply greed from where I am. Asked them to leave me some, apparently no one has any control over the offset practices (unless you are facing eviction or foreclosure). Again the government "works for the people".

Original review: Dec. 22, 2014

I have paying on my defaulted student loans as I was told. I know after 9 months I could be out of default. Nope! They said I never set up a rehabilitation payment plan even though I was told 9 months of payments would do it. So of course I yelled at them. They sent me some form. I filled it out and sent it back. I paid a few more months and I am supposedly out of default but that cannot be shown until a lender "picks me up". Meanwhile this ECMC is calling and emailing that I am in default with my student loans when I should just be hearing from FED Education Board. Why are they screwing with people? If I can find a way to sue them I should and everyone that has gotten screwed should all put a class action against them... There is something illegal going on... Especially with ECMC - I've already filed a complaint with the CFPB but I don't think they are what they say they stand for either because I have heard nothing back.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2014

When I was 16 I suppose to had got a student loan for 500 dollars to go to some school that close down. I don't remember but when I do my taxes they always taking my money. I can't work now but they still harassing me.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2014

I had my tax returns offset in February of this year. I have tried multiple times to get my refund back as a result of extreme hardship. However, the U.S. Department of Education has made it extremely difficult if not impossible to get the money back. If you speak with their default resolution group they hang up on you, tell you to ** off! And all you get is no no no. They won't give you any details as to the status of your hardship request. They are public servants however they act like a dictatorship. They are accountable to the public but they try to be so secretive so that they are not exposed. They have overzealously offset tax returns for millions of Americans even when those same people are enrolled in a U.S. Department of Education rehabilitation program.

The U.S. Department of Education program that is in charge of offsets gets bonuses for the money that they collect so they have no incentive to give it back to people who are struggling and thus they try to make it extremely hard to get those offsets returned even when people are experiencing extreme hardships. It is a racket, one that involves the U.S. Department of Education and the debt collection companies they hire to collect on behalf of them. In addition, they try to keep information a secret while forgetting that they are a public entity accountable to the public.

They are public servants who are supposed to be accountable to the public. They try to act like they are not, but they are a public governmental agency. Don't let them tell you to go away because they are a public governmental agency. They are accountable to the public whether they like it or not, they are accountable to the public. For some reason, the U.S. Department of Education currently thinks it's a private business out to make a profit when the goal should never be to make a profit as government agency.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2014

I went to vatterott college for less than 2 weeks and when I decided that it was a joke I told the teacher I would no longer attend their school. They told me I would not be charged for the class introduction. Years later I find out I was charged over $4000.00 in debt. The us department of education proceeded to steal my tax returns this year without my knowledge. I want to find out if an attorney can help me find and arrest those responsible for the theft of my money. I know if the tables were turned I would go to prison for stealing money. What can I do to ensure that the people involved in this go to prison for felony/theft of my money? Beware of the us department of education, they do not care about you and will do everything to make your life miserable!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

So I made all of my required payments. I am currently in school. I went through the payment plan last year. I qualified for more financial aid after 6 payments but had to be sure and make the remaining 4 payments. Payment 8 was three days late. I had to start over again and had fin aid for the one year but then it was pulled last summer due to the late aforementioned payment.

So I paid them all over again. I made the 8 payments this year. I called them today to have them fax the form to my school saying I was out of default. They said they could not do that, because I am not officially out of default until "someone picks up my loan". They said (now, not when i started the program) that this can take anywhere from 2 weeks until never and unless someone picks up my loan, they cannot tell my school that I am out of default.

So I have been homeless basically, walking to school 6 miles every morning for class. I luckily got an emergency scholarship to pay my tuition and fees at least, but not housing. So I have been freezing at night and walking miles carrying books etc with rheumatoid arthritis. I have applied to a couple other schools that I was planning on transferring to in January, but I apparently wasted my money on application fees, as my financial aid cannot be processed there, so I will not be able to transfer and will be stuck here for another semester best-case scenario. They have lied by not telling me necessary information. Had i known all of this, I would not have even signed up for this ridiculous program, which is nothing but a farce.

My advice to anyone thinking about rehabilitating a student loan: DON'T FALL FOR IT! It's a bunch of **. Once you are considered a "defaulter" they do next to nothing to help you and only want your money. They will also treat you very rudely on the phone; try to talk over you, and basically treat you like a scumbag because you got into default.

So this has left me homeless in a city and state I am not from, with nowhere to go. I am now faced with withdrawing from all of my classes and most likely, I am going to commit suicide over this matter. I have been beaten around enough by these cold robots who operate with impunity and the federal government does nothing to keep them in check. They can just screw people around all they want and have no repercussions against them. So thanks for wrecking my life, Department of Education. You have likely caused my death. I only wanted to do the right thing and get my life back on track, but you would not let me do it. I can't believe you lied to me by not telling me the necessary information when I first began this walk through hell.

It is too late for me coz I am blowing my head off, but I just wanted to warn anyone else who may be thinking about trying to rehabilitate a defaulted student loan. DON'T BELIEVE THEM!!! DON'T SEND THEM A DIME!!! If you do, you will suffer as I have. They are totally full of crap and just want to steal your money. The federal government will not do anything about this at all. You can't sue them or anything. I wrote the White House and told them about it and sent a link to this page, but I seriously doubt they care at all nor will they do anything to fix it. This country is through, and so am I.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2014

When speaking with a rep to originally make a payment arrangement, I was handled pleasantly and with a professional demeanor. I was told during the period of payment if anything should occur with payments that I could just contact them and arrangements could be made. When attempting to contact when something occurred all of a sudden, not only was the rep handling the case always unavailable but when he returned a call I was met with a very disgruntle attitude from the rep in which he seemed irritated by the fact that I needed to make an adjustment. He went on to criticize in what seemed to be character assassination; telling me that they would take me out of the payment system completely because of my sporadic payments (which weren't at all sporadic considering my first payment hadn't even been started with the company yet). This all came as a surprise considering the way the rep was initially and the fact that I had already given them a payment before we set up the arrangement. Also because the debt that I was paying wasn't even mine.

Overall it's sad that many company think the only ways which collect debt from consumers is through intimidation and demeaning their clientele, little do they know if they actually upheld the system they imply in the beginning of actually trying to work with consumers to get debts paid they might actually be able to obtain their overall goal of collecting funds. I have worked with my own debt collectors in the past and have never been treated like this company.... maybe that explains why their customers are paying them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2014

This is upsetting! How can the Dept of Ed let companies like ECMC get away with tactics like this? I had student loans in the mid 90's. All paid off and I have receipts. They inputted my last paid off payment 4 years AFTER!!! I paid in 2009 - computer on national student database said 2013. By law they are suppose to notify you to take any taxes. Luckily that didn't happen to me. I sent them a cease and desist letter, valid receipts and payments and they avoid and do not talk to me. However, the problem is they try and keep my account open and get me to paid a debt that is not valid and avoid my dates and receipts. Also, ECMC is not actually part of the US Dept of Ed but a collection agency to try and get monies (valid or not) - that is what most collection agencies do. If they brought your loans from ED FUND or whatever company they were before they don't care if they were paid off. They just want to get you to think you owe them when you don't. So frustrating and these practices and people have to be stop!!

Original review: July 29, 2014

I attend school in 1989. Got a job in my field of study. Loan went into default in 1992. In 1995 my taxes were intercepted for $2381.00. My actual loan was $2700.. The $400 was paid through at garnishment of wages that year. I never received a receipt of payment. A we appreciate your business. They just stop garnishment. In 2003, I received a letter again from NCO (National payment center department education) demanding $737.48 principals and interest. I called and sent documentation. In 2 days received lowered to $461.98. Complained, waited it out, no reply. In 2008 because of legal and financial crisis I filed Bankruptcy. In order to file I had to go back and file all unfiled taxes. A 700 dollar return was intercepted by United states department education. Did not hear from them until after bankruptcy. ECMC (Collection for department education) filed a claim they have a claim for 926 dollars. Got paid $92 of it. Received a new garnishment letter for $1093. This is unjust. This has to stop.

Original review: July 20, 2014

Once upon a time in 1980 I went to a bogus electronic school in downtown Chicago for a so called computer repair curriculum. I was passing everything and out of nowhere for no reason they kicked me out of the school! (For the second time in school life I guess I was being punished for tutoring a classmate. Duh!)

Later the school was shut down because of some violations.

I had a $999.00 loan in default that disappeared for seven years during the Clinton administration and magically reappeared during the Bush administration without any interest and now it's resurfaced under the Obama administration at the ridiculous amount of $3,094.48. Tried going to I.T.T. to complete my education and got turned down. They'll never get a penny of it from me! If the laws were being upheld, from public to adult education and privacy....they'd owe me a mint of cash and apologies!

Original review: July 16, 2014

Whatever happened to "give me your tired, your poor" crap that's on the Statue of Liberty?? OK awesome........ 29, lost my job over 8 months ago, had to move back with my mother because my unemployment ran out. I have been searching EVERY DAY on craigslist for jobs...... I don't even know how many I have applied for. Long story short, I'm more than angry. The one school loan I was paying on, but still was in default?? How does this make sense. So..... tax return time rolls around and they offset it, EVEN though the letter they had sent --- I had responded for a review. They lie. I have over $3,000.00 worth of medical bills outstanding, that I submitted, which by the way took me 4 weeks to do because of all the crap they make you do.

Anyway, I was approved for a refund of that offset on MAY 15. Here it is, July 16, and I have heard nothing. I have called numerous times and they tell me the same thing. 30-60 days. Really?????? Oh yea, you want to tell that to my bill collectors? You want to tell my pharmacies this? Would you like to explain to the people working at the grocery store WHY I can't pay for anything? At this time, that return would really help me financially. I am lucky I have the people supporting me, otherwise I don't know if I would be homeless or not.

YOU ARE THE GOVERNMENT. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO HELP PEOPLE. This country has become disgusting. You want to keep a few thousand dollars from someone who has paid you over $20,000 back in school loans? Will that help you out? My measly tax return really help you out, government? GET REAL. These people suck, a joke, disgusting, unhappy, and waiting to suck the life out of every single hardworking person in this country. I'm moving to Europe. This country sucks.

Original review: July 15, 2014

I too am playing the ridiculous game with the Dept of Ed. They took my IRS refund in error, due to their system problem. So, I call every couple days to see where my refund is. One day I called and had the pleasure of talking to Dwayne. Dwayne told me that because it took me so long to get my loan out of default, I have to wait. First they said 30 to 90 days. After the 30 day mark, they say 60 to 90 days. After reading all of the complaints on this website, I asked Michelle, a supervisor, if it takes longer than 90 days and she answered "yes, it can take longer than 90 days". I asked for something in writing. Of course she said that isn't possible. What a joke! They make you enter a star when submitting this review, they certainly didn't earn one star!

Original review: July 11, 2014

I can't believe what I'm reading because I too am going through so much turmoil with the Dept of Ed. I had faxed them economic hardship papers years ago (only to learn later they didn't have a fax so I don't know what number they gave me). I, too, sent papers off to that Texas office & they never received my papers. Suddenly, without warning, I was in default. Then, they wanted me to pay back 1% of my annual salary for 10 consecutive months before I could be out of default. I couldn't afford to, so I was making "good faith payments" trying to find out how to make lower payment arrangements, perhaps obtain forgiveness, if I should consolidate?

Their website is always down as far as trying to accomplish any of these things online. Then I was told to get pay as you earn type of papers (IBR) - you call - it's automated - they don't have forms anymore according to their recording. Then, without warning, it was turned over to a collection agency: Conserve, who tacked on a $6,000 fee, called all over my job & home looking for me which resulted in a co-worker sending me an embarrassing email to "take care of this so they don't call here anymore"!

Well, I contacted a few attorneys online and was told I could sue them for that and recoup $1,000. Once I emailed Conserve this, they stopped with the calls and sent a letter about trying to reach me. After many emails and a phone call, they finally emailed me economic hardship forms and at a later date, a forgiveness form. I faxed them my papers, and it was like pulling teeth to find out if they received them. Finally, someone answered me, after many, many, emails to all different people in their company, they told me they didn't receive all the papers. So I faxed them again - it was a phone number... it's just unbelievable.

Now I email them every day, a few times a day, constantly offering them a payment plan arrangement, but no one ever responds - ever. I told them if I had the money I would pay, but I don't and am willing to pay what I can afford. I email them every day, a few times a day, about 5 different people, including the Dept. of Ed, expressing this and expressing why we can't settle on a simple monthly payment plan. No one ever, ever answers me. I now started emailing them from various email accounts. I know they don't like what I have to say, because, especially after reading all of these complaints, it seems like a nice little scam they have going in order to tack on more fees and collect more money or write off bigger losses. Appalling.

Original review: July 10, 2014

I have been disabled for years. After sending several letters, forms, etc., it was discharged, forgiven. Only after all that, the US Department of Education took what little I got from tax refund when it was not mine but husband's too. He is a wounded soldier and me total disabled. I have a letter from the US Department saying I would get the money back within 30 days, hmmm. Never happened. I have waited now 5 months calling daily for my/our money only to lose my car, and not being able to pay for meds. etc. This was not supposed to happen but it did and even with all my letters saying they should and would not take the money, they did and said I would get the money back. How it is? Who is over them?

They have lied and I have done everything too. I was not even supposed to get a loan. It was to be a grant because I was disabled. So sad that they can sit by and watch so many suffer even more. Worse of all, I would not be even disabled if it had not been for an illegal hitting me with his uninsured car and putting my life in this mess to begin with and then my husband fought for this country for them to take the last of money we had to fix car, etc. I want my refund and should of had it. If you think they will give it back in 90 days, you are wrong. I have called ombudsman, etc... nothing. It will take months and still you will not get your money even with the proper paperwork done.

US Education Department Company Information