3.9/5 (518 reviews)
Author picture
Edited by

Overall Rating3.9 out of 5

About TaxSlayer

TaxSlayer is a tax company that offers four tax preparation plans, including a free option for simple tax returns and paid options for more complex returns. Active military personnel can file their federal and state returns for free without restrictions. Each plan comes with some tax assistance, but the higher levels come with dedicated tax expert help.

Pros & Cons

Pros

• Free filing for military
  • 100% accuracy guarantee

Cons

• Limited tax expert help

Bottom Line

TaxSlayer offers tax preparation software that works for users in a variety of tax situations. The company has a 100% accuracy guarantee, and you don’t have to pay upfront.

TaxSlayer Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TaxSlayer?
Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

When I went to the TaxSlayer website to begin my 2020 filing, I was not offered any choice of plans. Upon completing my return, I was automatically charged for the premium plan — again, no choice was offered. Later, in going back to the site, a page opened showing a variety of plans, including a basic plan for $17 that would have served my simple needs just fine. This is the plan I would have chosen had I been given the option earlier. I contacted support (2 days after payment) but was refused a refund for the difference between the plans. This was a total lack of transparency and choice, resulting in overcharges on this website!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I am not self-employed, did not claim any self-employed income, 1099 income, or schedule C income, and they keep charging me for the self-employed product. I started over the filing and it did it again! Fraud!

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have used Taxslayer.com to file in previous years. I was rejected by the IRS for a reason that I can't explain here. Either way, since I paid for their service and was rejected, I will not receive a refund. When I called them I asked where the refund policy was, they told me it was at the bottom of their home screen. So in other words, you had better be sure you won't get rejected because you aren't getting your money back. So, read the refund policy BEFORE you file. FREE is not FREE and this one's on me for choosing this service.

Original review: May 30, 2020

I've used their services for the past 3 years. I usually get to the end of their "free" service and pay their fee because I'm too exhausted and frustrated at the end of their process. No more, however. Please be advised that it is not possible to use their "free" filing services if you have EITC or have any deductions or aren't single or filing jointly. These people are scamming the poor and charging them fees to file the "extra" paperwork that lower-income folks often have to file with their taxes. They are extorting us and operating under the guise of "free" tax preparation. They are manipulative bait-and-switchers and shouldn't be allowed on the IRS's website of free tax prep services.

Original review: April 14, 2020

I’ve been doing my taxes with Taxslayer for 3 years... I’ve notice that I owe the state tax every year?... I finally went through Turbo Tax... Not only was my federal refund was $200 more but surprisingly I did not owe the state? I don’t know what tax slayer is doing but I’m going to get down to the bottom of this! ASAP!

Original review: April 9, 2020

I tried to speak with people over the phone at Taxslayer several times. They had no idea what they were talking about and they treated me like I was trying to cheat their system or like I was stupid. They kept telling me that I needed to talk to a tax professional. I TOTALLY AGREED. THAT'S WHY I WAS CALLING. THERE WAS NO OTHER NUMBER TO CALL. I gave them sensitive information in order to see if I could talk to someone and get things started based on whether they could answer my question or not.

They told me that my question was such that TaxSlayer is not the service for me.... AFTER I GAVE THEM MY SSN NUMBER BECAUSE THEY FORCED ME TO IN ORDER TO ASK THE QUESTION. I should not have to give me ssn in order to find out if this is the right service for me. And, TaxSlayer, you should treat customers well because there are years of taxes to file in the future. Just because you think you cant help me now, you could in the future. But I will never come near your service again.

Original review: April 8, 2020

I used Taxslayer because it said it was a free service. Filled out all the questions and at point of filing taxes it said I owed $57. For their FREE filing. I called and asked and why they were charging me $57, they said because there was an form added because of back child support I received. Child support of $2600 which was literally the only income I had this year. I didn’t have anything else on that return. I have filed for disability, because Of my medical problems. And for some reason tax return was rejected. So I decided I wasn’t going to use Taxslayer again since the forms they helped me do was rejected! And this company won’t refund my money!!!

I am disabled and $57 may not be much but it is to me. They never told me while I was filling out questions that there would be fees. NEVER said anything until I was done that it would be $57 for their FREE filing!!! They DON’T DO REFUNDS!!!! Unfortunately, I didn’t look at their reviews first because I would have Never use them in the first place!

Original review: April 8, 2020

I have used TaxSlayer for the past 5 years or so to file my joint tax return and I haven't had any issues until this year. I logged into my account and after filling in all my tax information I noticed at the very end that my package was automatically selected as premium... I did not have the option to choose this and usually this is prompted in the beginning. I feel like this is a very shady way to make money off of customers who are unaware or who would rather not deal with the frustration and extra work of emailing taxpayer and playing the waiting game to figure out why this is happening.

Suppose I decided to file on the deadline? I'd have no option but to just pay for it. I don't like this. This is not honest and I like companies who are upfront. I'm surprised that they did this. I ended up emailing them and telling them what was going on and when I logged back in the next day it was magically downgraded to classic like I normally use. I checked my emails and they did reply saying they downgraded my edition to classic instead of premium. In my email I asked for instructions on how to do it myself because there is literally no way to do this from the website and they didn't tell me how I could do it. They did it on their end somehow...this just seems very fishy to me. Maybe do research on tax companies before choosing who you go with. Other than that everything has always gone fine with TaxSlayer for me.

Original review: April 5, 2020

I just used TaxSlayer software to file my State and Federal return and will never use them again. My State had a kicker this year so I was suppose to receive an extra $500 on my State return. TaxSlayer has increased their filing fees substantially this year; but I went ahead and used them anyway as I had used them in the past for years and they already had my previous information; I thought it might be simpler. However, they charge considerably more than other online tax software companies. But they did say they "guarantee" to give you the maximum refund. Not true! I asked for the "guided" tour, figuring they would guide me through all the steps and calculate in our State Kicker amount like the other tax software companies are doing. Wrong. They didn't and my State refund was small and did not include the kicker.

I didn't realize this before e-filing it. Immediately after e-filing it, I went to the State's site and realized I was suppose to get this $500 kicker. I immediately sent TaxSlayer an email and then called them. Not only did they tell me it was my fault for not entering the information, they wouldn't even waive the outrageous $47 filing fee to amend my State return, when the glitch was in their software program! Their program should have prompted me to enter that information in at the time (ie., FreeTaxUSA's program's prompts you when you get to that section).

I will never use them again! I was a long-time and loyal customer and they did not even take that into account or care. They even had the audacity to send me a follow-up email after my upsetting call with them stating that they were glad they were able to help me and to be sure to recommend them to all my friends. Unbelievable! This was like pouring salt into the wound and extremely infuriating! They are just clueless! I would not recommend using this company to anyone--ever!

Original review: March 26, 2020

Very easy to use and offers free federal returns for eligible taxpayers. The state returns are a bit expensive at $29.99-$34.99. Would not use it for state returns, state websites offer for free or other providers offer for as low s $12.99-$14.99.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I used the AARP sponsored TaxAide service which uses TaxSlayerPro software. This is a free tax service offered to all ages with no income limits. The staff was professional, customer service oriented and very knowledgeable on income tax returns. It’s a first-come service with sites all over the U.S. I use them every year and they beat any tax services price because they don’t charge a fee at all.

Original review: March 15, 2020

What I really enjoy is that I don’t have to have a social security number for my church tithes. The letter I received from my church was enough so that was a big plus. There’s a lot of places that wouldn't just accept a letter.

Original review: March 14, 2020

The service's price increased exponentially when I considered filing my state tax return. So I cancelled the entire process and opted for a competitor tax prep software instead.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I filed federal and state returns using the Taxslayer program. The federal return, which I examined carefully before e-filing, was apparently fine. The state return was generated from the federal return by Taxslayer with no additional information required. Soon after e-filing, the state tax department notified me that I owed additional taxes. I then discovered that the state return included nonsensical entries related to interest, dividends and capital gains. Some of these seemed to be duplications of correct entries. Others I could not figure out at all. I filed an amended return myself with correct information. Should never have used Taxslayer's state return service in the first place. I contacted Taxslayer to report the problem and request a refund of the state filing fee. They just said 'no' and weren't interested in hearing about what they did wrong. I won't use Taxslayer again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

There is no way to actually file for free through this scammy "service". I made low earning last year so had all the requirements to get a free file, yet they said I "claimed the earned income credit" which is total BS because that is just auto assumed because of how low my wages were last year and I did not claim it. So the poorer you were, the more they charge?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I did my tax return and it said I owed $700 in taxes which is completely wrong- I'm supposed to get a refund. I'm positive I filled everything out correctly. Then I went to Turbo Tax to submit my tax return for free, and it showed the refund in the correct amount. This happened 2 years in a row with Tax Slayer. Something is seriously screwed up in their system and it calculated my taxes completely wrong! I would have lost over a thousand dollars if I actually submitted my return with Tax Slayer. Never use this service!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I paid 70 dollars to e-file my taxes through Tax Slayer and there were a glitch in there system that caused the IRS to reject my taxes three times. So, I called Tax Slayer to ask for a refund because I wasn't able to efile my taxes after the 3rd try, I would have to paper file it. They told me they could not issue a refund because I used their services. I told them I never use your services because I didn't get a chance to file or print my taxes out through your website. To make a long story short I never did received a refund, so I HIGHLY ADVISE ANYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM TAX SLAYER.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

My federal e-file was rejected 4 times; I'd decided on another.. When I called the a company rep. and spoke with her; she told me that the $46 they charged my card could not be refunded.."that's their policy"...when I began the 'free' filing process; then it was finalized--this UPGRADE was done because I was over 65. So they got $46 and I got cheated. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER USE THESE SHYSTERS!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

A W-2 that I entered into their system just disappeared from the return after I submitted it. I recommend using a different service, as you cannot trust them to properly populate the paperwork for you. Also, they have become really scammy in recent years concerning payment.

Original review: April 18, 2019

TAXSLAYER IS NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF CROOKS AND THEIR FILING QUESTIONS WILL NOT GET YOU THE BEST REFUND. BEWARE!!!! I only filed federal with TaxSlayer and submitted. I went to TurboTax to file my state for Free. As I was answering the same questions with TurboTax my federal refund increased by $500. Unbeknownst to me TurboTax filed both fed and state. Returned to Slayer and had to research where they didn't guide me correctly in answering their questions. So, I submitted again. Well, my return was rejected because Turbo filed both state and federal first. After sending an email with detailed explanation they will not refund $26.00 filing fee. And...my refund was rejected because of their questionnaire. Beware, you probably won't get your full refund with this company!!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

It took forever to get passed the “calculating your return” section. It kept refreshing for minutes on end, and then timed out. Then I had to start from the beginning. Although my information was saved, it was just another unnecessary hurdle I had to go through. Horrible experience. I would not recommend.

Original review: April 16, 2019

We was with Taxslayer since 2009 and thank for their wrong input and unprofessional customer service. The IRS comes now for tax return 2015 and 2016 for over $5000 back pay. Thanks to Taxslayer. We recommend never go with this fake company. They don’t know tax returns.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Yesterday I started and finished the Simply Free Edition for both the federal and state tax return. At the very end, before e-filing, I get a message that they had to upgrade me to the Classic Edition, plus charge me for the state return, for a total of $53! Because "certain types of income, a credit, or deduction that you have claimed are not available in the Simply Free Edition" (I saved the screenshot). What was that "certain type" you ask? A Schedule D! I kid you not folks. I had used no other forms, just a 1040 and a Schedule D. Basically I had wasted 2 hours. I closed the tab and went to another well-known provider. Plenty of reliable free tax preparation providers out there. This is actually the second time Taxslayer has done this, The first time was in 2016 I remember. No more.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Until this year, I had been a satisfied user of TaxSlayer, for maybe 10 years. This year, however, that all changed. I found that I could not print or view my tax return, which is pretty basic. Every time I attempted to Print in TaxSlayer, I got an empty window titled "about:blank". They were prepared for this and gave instructions to use Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader was not my default PDF reader, so I downloaded it and installed it. I downloaded the latest version 2019.010.20098 off the Adobe web site. TaxSlayer said to use Adobe Reader 11 or later; version 11 is obsolete, and I tried but could not get that version for Windows 10 off Adobe and was reluctant to trust non-Adobe sites. The version I did download is the latest and is appropriate for Windows 10, but still gives the blank window.

I have another message in to the Help center, but here's something: when I pressed Reply in their Message Center to their message replying to my earlier message, I got the message "The specified URL cannot be found". So I had to resubmit a brand new request because Reply didn't work. The Message center software was faulty as well. All this has convinced me that I'm done with TaxSlayer. I can't print my own tax return!!

Original review: April 1, 2019

We have used Taxslayer for the last four years and have been satisfied, until now. When I do my taxes I do direct deposit. This time, the only option was to put it on a Green Dot card. WARNING. Green Dot is nothing but a scam. They charge you a monthly fee, plus various charges on certain transaction. I tried to transfer the money to my bank account, wouldn't let me. It is impossible when you try to close the account, they never answer the phone. TAXSLAYER YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR TRICKING CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS. Your company is going to lose a lot of customers.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I decided to try Taxslayer since the prices were getting high with the one I was using ($40 for state, $30 for a schedule C and $30 just because I have an HSA!?) Be VERY careful using them because they don't ask enough questions. Lucky enough I compared my return to one I started and found a few discrepancies. I know that in a schedule C you can deduct the registration of your car and the interest of car loans but only the % you use for the business. There was no place to put this in the vehicle section. I had to manually calculate it and put it in the expenses. While that was not a big problem but if I hadn't have known about it from the other software I would never have known how to handle it.

Also on my state section they didn't calculate my use tax (MICH) correctly. I just use the tax table and looked at the instructions for the state form and it said you multiply the AIG by .07% (which my original service did) and Taxslayer multiplied by .08%. I called them up and after doing some checking them told me their software was correct. UMMM...no it's not. The only reason I gave them 2 stars is because of their price.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have used other software than Taxslayer. It was easier to use, but my situation, a retired pastor, is unusual. Taxslayer "pros" kept insisting that I had not filed properly despite the IRS accepting my return. So, I consulted a real CPA familiar with retired clergy. She found NOTHING wrong with my return. Next year, I will be using her and not Taxslayer. Point - don't use Taxslayer if your return is unusual. It is unprepared to deal with unusual situations.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have been using Taxslayer for several years since I was on active duty with the military. It is simple to use, still cost effective, and customer response is quick. They also offer higher level services for those who might need added security for potential IRS audits.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Advertised free simple federal and state tax filing. Both my state and federal filings couldn't be any simpler, no deductions or anything special just fill in the blanks. When I got to the end and it’s time to file there’s a charge of 47.00. I called the help line to see why I was being charged and was advised I was being charged because I was over 65 years old. Can you say rip off or age discrimination. DON’T USE THESE PEOPLE. For your own sake.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Tax Slayer is misrepresenting the terms from the Green Dot card you must sign up for if you want to get your Federal Tax Refund Advance back in as little as 24 hours. They have the following qualification criteria posted on their website: What are the eligibility requirements for TaxSlayer’s Refund Advance? To be eligible, you must have a W-2 and a current government-issued photo ID. Your eligibility also depends on your federal tax refund amount, verification of your identity, underwriting standards, and other criteria. Other terms and conditions may apply. TaxSlayer’s Refund Advance is not available to Vermont or Illinois residents.

What they DON'T disclose is that your Federal Refund amount must be at least $1,500 to get the Advance. This amounts to a usury tax, as you have to pay a fee for the card. Anyone who is applying for a refund advance likely needs the money for emergency expenses. I myself, was trying to use it to assist a good friend who was drastically affected by the 35 day Federal Shutdown, and couldn't pay their rent. To omit a criteria that applies to any and ALL applications smacks of false advertising and purely bad business. BEWARE!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

It was horrible. They said that it was free to file but charged. I will never use them again. Will not refer them to anyone either. Will go back to Turbo Tax where it is actually FREE FREE FREE. Charged me over 100 for both federal and state.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Their services are misleading you intentionally for maximum gain. You have a free option yet it doesn't quite work that way, why? Because you will jump through all the hoops to be automatically enrolled into the version that charges you, either by deducting it from your refund or paying upfront. Furthermore most importantly they say nothing about a company called Santa Barbara tax group LLC on their website, if you decide to elect the payment deducted from refund, your refund is not going to you, rather it is going to Santa Barbara tax group LLC instead, and they can do whatever they want with your refund usually imposing a hold on your account, asking for additional information.

Look at the reviews for this company and nobody in their right mind would elect to, or approve of this. The only mention of this company is in fine print when you sign the consent forms when electronically signed within your account during the e-file process. Nowhere else does it voluntarily tell you this information, not in there package details, or site map. This link provided on there website is https://www.taxslayer.com/policies/refund-options and it only says your refund will be directly sent to you. It's a lie, its all decieving B.S... Read reviews on Santa Barbara Tax Group LLC... They will now be getting my refund and guess what? They have my account on hold. I have provided them with information to prove my identity yet my account is still on hold.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Very unprofessional and inaccurate! This was the first time I was going to utilize Taxslayer. It was a slow process to get answers to questions and when I did receive the information they provided was incorrect and would have cost me a large amount on my taxes. Requested a refund of the fee I paid them based on their error since decided to utilize a different preparer and they refused. Stated because I had asked the questions - regardless of the incorrect answer they provided - I was not eligible for a refund.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have used TaxSlayer for several years now. I thought they provided a simple, cheap (or free) reliable way to file my taxes. I have the simplest return you could possibly imagine, but I have to first ask customer service to change me to the free version because when I go to log in and start a return they automatically put me on the Classic edition (without asking or making it obvious so that I don't find out until the end that I'm being charged for their 'free' service), and provide no alternative the customer can select themselves.

When I go to log in again, I do get the free version, to start with, but of course after I enter all my info and get to the end it automatically switches me to the Classic edition again. I asked customer service about this and they say that because they see I qualified for the Earned Income Credit, I don't qualify for the free service. I didn't even know that was on my return. They added it without telling me or even asking if I qualify for it. Turns out I don't, but how many people are even going to know that? They were going to charge me for filing my taxes incorrectly, in which case they would have said it was my fault because I'm ultimately responsible for my return.

Fair, but then what service are THEY offering? I can screw my tax return up all on my own. I don't need to pay them $17 to do it for me. Actually, I'm confident I could've done a better job just on my own, without their 'help'. But that's the whole point of using an online service. They're supposed to HELP you NOT screw it up, not slip things in that are actually wrong just so they can 'upgrade' you to the pay version at the end. I think they bank on people not wanting the hassle of starting all over again with a different service and just forking over the cash at the end. Well beware.

I took off the EIC I didn't qualify for, emailed again them to downgrade me to the free version, and they STILL wouldn't do it (because I entered a tiny amount of interest income that was so low - I later found out on my own - it didn't actually even need to be entered; but of course THEY won't tell you that). So I switched to Tax Act. Their service actually IS free, and they ask a lot more questions to make sure you file correctly. It was actually through them that I found out I didn't qualify for the EIC. I kept going back to TaxSlayer though thinking it would be easier to keep all my info with the same provider, but in the end it just wasn't worth it. TaxSlayer is downright negligent, in my opinion. They'll tack on anything without even telling you just to arbitrarily bump you up to the paid service level. Save your money, avoid penalties, file with another provider.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I have been trying to submit both federal and state and it has been rejected 8 times. No indication when I filed every time. They don't even review before filing to advise of errors. And they charged for state return and it still hasn't gone through after 2 weeks. I will never use this program again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Suddenly stopped getting emails from Taxslayer to AOL email. With 2 part authentication, this means the account can't be logged into with no workaround. Support has no response. Also, they have shady tiers for filing tax charges.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I opted to have an almost $6,00 refund put on a prepaid card, even though I have a bank account, just to get the refund advance loan. I even have a confirmation email. Now Taxslayer is saying I didn't apply and MetaBank has no record of my application. They are crooks trying to push their prepaid card. Please go elsewhere for your tax preparation needs. This is my first and last time.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Paid for this. Could not e-file. Had to mail in, still got charged. They were no help. Did what they said still could not file. Will never give you your money back. I contacted several times for help. Got the same answers. Did all of it. Still got nowhere. Why pay and not be happy.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I paid $70 to have get my taxes done and filed. I got a flag on an item and I requested help from their tax professionals. I changed what they said I needed to change to fix the problem. Sent it. It got rejected. I contacted their help again and followed what they said I needed to do to fix it. Sent it. Rejected again. They would not refund my money even though I was paying to get my taxes filed. I went to freetaxusa.com and no issue.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Me and my husband have been long time Taxslayer users. Never had an issue until this year. We filed our taxes on 1/17/19. Everything was accepted on 1/22. We were approved for the fast cash advance through Taxslayer and received the Green Dot card. Now... nothing. Sbtpg website and phone lines say they have not received our federal acceptance. MetaBank has no record of our loan application. And Taxslayer says there is nothing they can do. I am beyond frustrated. Now we are stuck getting our whole refund on the damn Green Dot card, that we only got due to the refund advance. I will not be using Taxslayer, Green Dot, or attempting the loan ever again. They treat people horribly!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I am a long term TaxSlayer customer of 14 years. I called customer support and asked if I could get a refund advance direct to my checking account and was notified that I would need to opt for the new Green Dot Card to receive it. Reluctantly after the call I filed my taxes and opted for the card so I could get the advertised refund advance 24 hours after it was accepted by the IRS. My new green card arrived in the mail and no money had been posted to it. My refund had been accepted by the IRS on the 23rd of Jan. Since it was over 72 hours after being accepted I called TaxSlayer customer support. I talked to numerous technicians and no-one could help provide a reason why. I finally got in touch with a customer service supervisor and he found that since I'm Active Duty Military my free classic TaxSlayer account didn't qualify for the advance. Unfortunately he was unable to help since the issue was at a much higher level.

The biggest issue I have is that the 24 hour tax advance is advertised for classic, premium, and ultimate accounts. There isn't any information regarding active duty filing taxes being ineligible for the refund advance. Now I'm stuck with not receiving a tax refund advance but also receiving my full tax refund on a card I necessarily didn't want. Also the fact that this issue affects the many men and women who serve will not receive a refund advance they were expecting. Someone please fix this!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

TaxSlayer was fantastic! They actually charged what they advertised for. It was all clear, nothing hidden. Disclosure: I decided to pay 29.99 plus tax for the ease of filing my state returns. The transparency of TaxSlayer was fantastic. I am impressed.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Said it was free, then changed it to classic and charged. Without warning that it was going to happen. What a big joke. Will NEVER use it again, or refer it to anyone. Made me wait 'til the end to find out, so I didn't feel up to filing with Turbo Tax 'til the next day.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Been with them over 5 years. I never had a problem with Taxslayer and I am happy they now have a Refund advance which I got last year the full $1,000.00. No bad things to say. Will be filing with them again this year coming up. Three of my sisters also file with them with no problems and a few of my friends. It’s easy and the amount you pay is not bad. I would rather DIY and get the max amount and save on fees then go to a Tax company get my taxes did and come out with less money cause they have charged me too much. I have worked at a Tax Company before as a Office Managers/Tax Consultants A.K.A prepare so Trust me when I say TaxSlayer is the way to go.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I filed my tax return ON TIME on the DUE DATE. I sent an email asking if my payment was processed. No response. (24 HR TURNAROUND ON EMAILS?) I checked the following day and discovered the return was rejected due to a pin number that was supposedly incorrect. I received no notice, no confirmation. I signed up for text messaging - but no text message. Now I will be charged LATE PENALTY 5% of my TAX BILL! IS NO ONE WORKING AT THAT OFFICE ANYMORE?

Original review: April 19, 2018

Only needed to do simple 1040 EZ Return and both federal and state was supposedly to be free. However, upon finishing taxes, they wanted to charge $52.00 to complete a "Simple Free" filing. Classic bait and switch! Stay away from this unscrupulous company. Ended up using Credit Karma who was true to their word of actually being true! Credit Karma a good company!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I felt so strongly about being mislead and almost scammed by them. I created an account on Consumer Affairs just to write this review. TaxSlayer says all over their website "Simply Free" for a 1040EZ and state return, but when you get to the end of the return, it adds on a "Classic Package Upgrade" for no stated reason, and there is no way to remove it. I even deleted my entire return, and made sure I clicked on the "Simply Free" option again and made sure I only clicked "continue" through all the options after entering my W-4, but what do you know, at the end it tacked on the fee again.

I called them, and was on wait for 54 minutes, meanwhile my online session timed out, so I re-logged in, and what do you know, the banner in the corner for my return quietly and magically changed from "Free Edition" to "Classic Edition" without me changing one thing. It just proves to me that they're clearly hoping you aren't paying attention and won't want to go through the trouble of entering everything again, so you'll just pay. By the way, I never reached a customer service agent, I hung up before I had been on the phone for anything more than a hour! Such a bad service that's tricky, misleading, and blatantly lying about what they are offering you.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I selected free to file Federal, and it says you can do one state free. I did my only resident state and it STILL charges me 24 dollars for a state file and a "classic upgrade" which I did NOT do. Do not waste your time.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I had researched what company to use to file my simple taxes for free. TaxSlayer offered "free federal tax return for 1040EZ, 1040 & 1040A." After going through the entire filing process, and denying any upgrades or add'l services, they wouldn't let me file without paying a $24 filing fee for making a retirement contribution. Based on their advertisement of "free filing," I feel this charge is fraudulent.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have been with this company since 2014 and in the past two years I have had trouble filing my taxes. Last year I had to download instructions and forms from the IRS. This year they filed my state tax form and it can back accepted, even though it wasn’t complete. I was under the impression that taxes would not be filed until complete. I paid to prepare both federal and state taxes, in the past, they would not release the state form unless the federal was already submitted. I emailed them and all they said to submit the federal form. Well, that doesn’t work, since the state relies on the federal form for much information.

So I called an agent and she said I had to pay $41 (in addition to $59) to “amend” the forms then mail them myself! I paid for a service and fee. l inconvenienced and ripped off. In a follow up email I was asked why I elected to amend the returns. It is very apparent they don’t know what they are doing. I want a refund of at least the additional costs because I don’t feel at fault in the matter.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Used the service for the first time and got a refund! First time in 17 yrs! Best service I ever used. The other tax programs have a flaw when calculating married joint vs married separated filing! Having my taxes last year done that we paid $5000! Read many reviews! Petty! The advertising clearly says free for an ez. As far as a refund, be real and understand it doesn’t come magically free — start saving $5 a week! I feel the value I paid was well worth it. Can’t believe some of the reviews... anyone can do their own ez form!!! Why do you depend on procrastination and the feel bad syndrome!

Original review: March 3, 2018

I volunteered to do tax returns for AARP. I spent 8 years doing tax returns as a paid professional, using three different types of professional software. The government supplied us with Taxslayer software to use. I find the software when doing a Wisconsin state return, especially doing Homesteads very time consuming and seldom ever works right. Every time your people have tried to correct it they have made it much worse. It is by far the worst tax software I have ever used. If the government uses this garbage next year I will not volunteer. This software is so bad I don't think it can be fixed.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had my taxes prepared by a lady who has done my taxes for 3 years and this is the first time that I have ever asked for a Rapid and this is what happened. I was suppose to get a $1000 as a Rapid because they said that I was approved for it and it would be in my account in 2 to 4 days. When it never showed up I gave them a call and they told me that I wouldn't be getting the Rapid because my business had a loss. This was the early part of February because my taxes was accepted on 2/8/18. I kept checking the "Where's my Refund". It told me that it was received and then on 2/17/18 my sister called me and asked did my status change, I said NO, my sister and my daughters status had changed. They got their money on 2/22/18...

Let me say this. When I called RIVER Bank that was suppose to give me the RAPID, when the Rep answered the phone I thought I had the incorrect number because he answered the phone like he was at home... I was skeptical about giving him my information because I wasn't sure I was talking to a Bank. I never received the Emails that said they would keep me posted from beginning to end... Had I never contacted my Tax person I wouldn't have known that my RAPID wasn't accepted!

Finally I decided to call the IRS which was on 3/1/18. They told me that my direct deposit will be delayed by about 2 weeks... So we are talking the middle of March if the rep wasn't just puffing smoke. I believe that I was flagged because of this RAPID that I didn't get! The IRS did say that she didn't see any issues with my refund and I should get it soon... So I am crossing my fingers! I work all year not claiming any depends so that I can get the biggest refund and now I may not get anything because of this company! I am thinking about filing a class action suit with others who have been duped by this company! I will not use them for future tax purposes ever again! Next year I am going to use TurboTax like everyone I know who got their money either on the 17th if they didn't have dependents and on the 22 for those who did... Except me of course!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I decided to use TaxSlayer this year as opposed to TurboTax because of the full front page ad in USA Today advertising their RefundNOW service. Where they provide an advance on your refund within 48 hours of acceptance by the IRS. I researched and researched before I used the product, read reviews, and decided that I was willing to pay for the service which is the one eligible for RefundNOW. It turns out that your federal return has to be a minimum of 1500 dollars to qualify for RefundNOW. I feel more than a little mislead that I had such a hard time getting this information and mildly betrayed that I paid for an upgraded version (they have a free one) in hopes that I would have access to a service that I was not even eligible for. There is no benefit to this product over Turbo Tax unless your return is over 1500 dollars.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Completed my "free" tax filing only to be informed it was $65.00 and I am not getting a Rapid Now refund. Everyone should avoid this company. It's nothing but a scam and join a Civil case against them. Contact https://www.ftc.gov/ and file a report. They have already been sued.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I typically use another tax preparation site. But this year I needed my money faster than the typical 21 days the IRS takes to get your refund to you. I filed my return and received a 1200+ dollar refund. I chose to have it delivered to my bank account. I also agreed to give a 25.00 fee to the bank associated with the Refund Now loans. I filed over the weekend and waited all day Monday. I received no communication other than my refund was accepted by the IRS. I sent an e-mail to the support team, and they will get back in 72 hours. I called customer care which isn't a toll free number, and was told, "You didn't get enough of a refund to qualify." So I cannot even get a 500.00 loan on the 1200+ refund that I am guaranteed from the IRS! I paid 25.00 for nothing! Next year I think I may file at the IRS site for free and just count on 21 days! I am in a bind now!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

My 2018 refund - Like everyone else this was my first time using Taxslayer. I went with them for the refund now because every year go through different companies but paying them 200.00 to 300.00 to prepare it for me and always got a refund now. I was declined and when I would call them I would get nowhere and nothing but lies from them. I contacted the technical support about my state refund and got a bush of ** answers. I hope and pray I get my refund and don't get audited. NO ONE SHOULD USE THE COMPANY.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

This is the first year I have attempted to use Taxslayer and it will be my last. I used them because of the RefundNOW now option. It said I was approved during the e-file process and I received an email stating the next steps in the RefundNOW process and that I would receive emails each step of the way. Well my return was accepted and I got the email for that, but have not received anything concerning RefundNOW. I emailed support and they tell me on their end it says not approved. Well I do not understand why during the program I was approved, received the email on what to expect and now not approved. I am beginning to believe the RefundNOW is just a hoax to get people to file with them. Not even worth giving 1 star.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

36 years old, always have done my own taxes. The first time I got rejected with an e-file was with TaxSlayer. They provided no help. They told me that I could not get my refund now because I did not apply for it the 3rd time. There was no 2nd time. I spent hours on the phone with these people. The software is not easy to use, and you can get audited because it is so easy to fill out your return incorrectly. I never had an issue with H&R Block, TurboTax, and others. This company is a joke. I used them because I wanted the refund now option. It doesn't exist. Stay away from TaxSlayer!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Liars!!! No refund no loan!!! They told me 3 different things, first day of acceptance from IRS, the 8th of January, then the website says January 17th!!! Supervisors even lied thru their teeth. Can you say TURBOTAX next year???

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Using as a volunteer preparer for the AARP Tax-Aide program. TaxSlayer has the most irritating, awkward, error educing, clumsy, time consuming data entry procedures of any program I have ever experienced. There are inconsistencies and hidden or mislabeled popups everywhere. Every entry has to be saved independently. If not - amazingly, it's lost.The program is apparently designed with the idea that it can be for users with no tax knowledge whatsoever. Even in that regard, I would not recommend it for anyone, or for anything. There are good well designed programs available. I give TaxSlayer grade of "F" for total failure.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Don't download the trial version of the software... They harass you with annoying solicitation via telephone. They interrupted me while I was trying to meet with someone else. So rude! Why would any reputable company bother people with telephone solicitation? Shame on them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

THEIR WEBSITE WAS HACKED, MANY TIMES. Do NOT use Tax Slayer! Their website is not secure and customer service is a joke. Tax Slayer was breached last year, leaving thousands at risk with their SSN stolen, as well as phone number and address. Someone tried to file taxes with my ID after the incident as well as trick me by calling me and pretending to be an IRS agent. TaxSlayer wrote a letter informing me, however never apologized in the letter or offered any compensation for damages. They gave me free fraud protection service but that service was fake and actually didn't do anything. I filed my taxes with them for the last time and they still charged me a fee even after my ID was stolen. Never using them again. I actually saved MORE money using a competitor service this year, don't let the price fool you, they won't save you money, only rob you of everything.

Original review: July 31, 2017

On my 2016 return my wife had health insurance coverage for 10 months and her carrier dropped her when we moved to Florida and she qualified for an exemption, When I filled out the form online I showed the 10 months she had coverage. The form Taxslayer sent the IRS showed her having no coverage therefore we were fined. I went to their site to file an amended return and they want $42 on top of the fee I paid for premium service on filing the original return. Just this week I got another notice from the IRS saying we owed over $3000 because Taxslayer didn't file the 8889 form for distributions on my wife's HSA. Now we have to dig up all of her medical receipts from 2 years ago to prove the medical expenses. Do not use Taxslayer!!

Original review: June 30, 2017

After expressing dissatisfaction with Taxslayer software for professionals, I was forced to sign up for another year of their software because they held on to $1,095 of refunds entitled to my office FIRM1040. They have refused to refund me my money and I had to get legal involved. Still haven't received my funds and I'm still not using their software, which was slow, took minutes to bring up pdf return, couldn't efile a NY amendment, freezing up, etc... Return our funds and stop making money off of business owners like this!!!

Original review: April 17, 2017

I started filling out my son's taxes using Taxslayer 'cause the processing rate was low. I printed out the return and paid the fee. Then before I hit the e-File button I thought I'd try TurboTax since the return showed he was going to have to pay just under $2000 to Federal. With TT they only owe $82 and get lots more back on State. When I contacted Taxslayer they won't refund the money since I printed the return. This is not what their website says -- it states no refund on processing AFTER you e-File! I went back to them again and now they have gone radio silent. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! MINUS STARS!

Original review: April 2, 2017

Ridiculous bait and switch. I've used TaxSlayer for years, always with the Free Edition for federal, although in years past I've had to pay $15-$20 for my state filing. I'm not married, don't own a house, and don't do crazy securities trading - the kinds of things that complicate a tax return. This year started off fine with the free version, but on reaching the VERY END of the process, I was told TaxSlayer had to upgrade me to align with what the IRS needed, which comes to $27 for federal and $22 for state. Extremely annoyed TS waited until I was COMPLETELY FINISHED with my return before telling me this would be necessary. No matter how easy a site is to use, setting an expectation and then breaking it makes for a terrible experience.

Original review: March 23, 2017

NEVER, NEVER USE TAXSLAYER FOR BUSINESS SOFTWARE PROVIDER. 2016 tax year been the worst out of five years. First time with taxslayer and was a nightmare. I had to stop filing returns a month early. It was a hit or miss. Some forms got sent to IRS not complete miscalculated or not there causing my clients to amend their return or to take a major adjustment.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Adequate, having most forms, and very inexpensive. I've been using for 7 years on somewhat complicated return (stocks). Main issues are: you do need to workarounds for obvious faults; like entering W-2 twice when you have more than 4 box 12 entries, entering brokerage accounts twice so that you can add Box 10 tax exempt. Need use Excel if you want to check your entries, as multiple entries show up as single item (can’t trace where values come from). Customer support via email only, generally takes a day. Deduct star or two because need for workarounds.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Taxslayer has horrible customer service and the people you talk to with tax questions have no idea what they are talking about. Do not trust them! I paid the $35 to speak to a "professional" tax adviser. She gave me incorrect information that changed my refund $4,000! When I called to get my money back for talking to someone incompetent, they were horribly ignorant. After hours on the phone they said, "Well this will have to go to management and they will decide..." Which means I won't be seeing my money. Also, don't try leaving a bad review on their website - they don't post them - they only post the good reviews.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

My tax refund from IRS is being kept by a bank used by Taxslayer. When I filed my taxes through Taxslayer I agreed to let the amount for the tax preparation to come out of my taxes. This went through a bank that Taxslayer uses. My refund was issued by the IRS on 2/2/17 but I did not receive my money. I contacted Taxslayer and was told to contact the bank, which I did. They made like my bank rejected the payment and they would send a certified check, which is a lie in my opinion. I as a consumer am so tired of these companies ripping us off. I paid extra to this company for my return to be direct deposited and now am going to have to pay to have a check cashed. Also Taxslayer will not take any responsibility. DO NOT GET CAUGHT IN THEIR TRAP!!! The IRS told me to file a complaint for my refund money being stolen.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I was thinking to launch my tax prep biz for this year hence I purchased software thru my CC from Taxslayer. But they do not state any terms and condition or non-refundable policy or any other terms. Also, there was no options for consumer to deny the terms of agreement but it was check marked as buyer/consumer has accepted terms. This was unethical so immediately I called and cancel my order in less than 10 minutes but they started denial, I have not used their software nor I seen. They charged me $1095 and now not answering phone calls and confirming me refund. Though I submitted an email to Mr. Cody ** in this reference immediately as per his instructions.

Also Mrs. **, when I was trying to understand agreement and terms she said no refund hence I felt something is not right. Also terms and condition was already check marked for me and I cannot changed it. Hence they without the consumer knowledge of terms and conditions takes money, and impose their conditions to consumer without knowledge. Also, one have to create account first in order to access receipt of payment and underneath receipt terms and condition.

After creating the account one can access the payment receipt where terms and conditions link are similarly tick marked for accepted by buyer/client. In either case, terms and conditions are not disclosed to buyer and money charged are not refundable are verbally told to me when I called them to understand their terms and conditions. In short, before you access their actual software they make you to create account with login/password, accept their terms and condition, without that you cannot even know terms and conditions nor they disclose while charging the CC or taking people's money. After charging CC their penalty of $300 and other condition starts and consumer have never had information about it. This is not right as without knowledge the TaxSlayer pocketing people's money and refusing for refund verbally on the phone.

Original review: April 23, 2016

PLEASE BE INFORMED!!! TAXSLAYER'S SYSTEM HAS BEEN BREACHED!!! I am sure there are thousands out there that have not even found this out yet. My tax return was rejected and after speaking to the IRS, someone had already received over $5k using all my information stored on taxslayer.com. Once I contacted Taxslayer, they then informed me of the breach, but told me that my account was not affected. After searching through my junk mail, I was able to find an email sent by Taxslayer at the end of January. It was thanking me for accessing my account and that my tax return was almost complete. The fraudulent return was submitted February 4th, 2016, not long after the email sent from Taxslayer. I did not access Taxslayer website or file my return until March.

I sent this to the Taxslayer representative "Christina" who said she was in charge but refused to give me a last name or id#. Christina's first response during our conversation was blaming the IRS stating "Well, the IRS had 100,000 individual transcripts hacked last year and didn't publicize it" and throughout the conversation she took a stance of defensiveness, denial, and not a bit of concern or empathy for a Taxslayer customer. I was not rude, loud, or confrontational in any way, I just wanted to understand the chain of events that were just "coincidental" according to Christina. The IRS representative couldn't give me all the information but did explain to me that all of the information provided on the fraudulent return perfectly matched my previous year's return. She stated that this is not typical fraud, where someone just gains access to some of your personal information.

Having all of my wife's and 3 dependents' information, as well as mine, could only come from one site, Taxslayer.com. Taxslayer sent one return email claiming 8,800 people were affected by the breach and I was not one of them. As soon as they realized I did not believe that to be true, they stopped communicating altogether. I do not understand how a company of this size would not take customer service seriously. There are no outlets beyond contacting a call center with individuals that have no clue who is in charge and where to direct customers dealing with my current situation.

This situation is life changing for myself and my family. We now have years of concern and extra responsibilities to ensure our identities and personal information are not misused in a way that could devastate all that we have worked so hard to obtain. Taxslayer has shown disproportional amounts of carelessness and disregard for any customer that has entrusted and supported their business. We always hope that people and organizations would stand behind their business with integrity and care for individuals conducting business with them. It will be my top priority to ensure everyone is made aware of the "at your own risk" commitment you are making by conducting business with Taxslayer.com!

Original review: April 21, 2016

TAX SLAYER HACKED. Fake tax returned filed with my information! I've did my online taxes a few years ago using TaxSlayer. Back in February, I got a letter for the IRS saying they believe a fraudulent tax return was filed under my name using all my information. GREAT! So me and my sad little letter go to my local IRS office and they check it out and, YES someone filed a tax report under my name using all my info they pulled off of TaxSlayer. They were getting a $3000 tax return. I wish they did my taxes, because I never get that. They caught it, so the IRS didn't cut a tax return check. For me - I can't file my taxes online. I had to do them and bring them back to the IRS office so they can verify its me, and a real tax return filing be the real me. But now I can't get MY return for 180 days. I have fraud alerts on all my accounts and changed out all my credit cards. What a HUGE pain in the ass TaxSlayer. I needed my return for a car repair. Now what?!

Original review: April 14, 2016

Tax Return Delayed without Notice. Within the first week of February I filed a return through the online tax prep program, TaxSlayer. Something I will never do again. So I filed with TS and selected directed deposit. TaxSlayer told me, within a few days it would be accepted and within 21 days it would be deposited, and that if there were any complications with the deposit, they would send me a paper check.

What happened? Well after a month a few days past the 21, I called the IRS, they told me to speak to my financial institution. I also called TaxSlayer, and useless as they were they also directed me to the IRS. The IRS explained that the amount should be issued out already, unless there was an offset. I call the Treasury to see if there was an offset, they explain that "no", not that they have seen come out and direct me back to my financial institution. At this point, I am told by the IRS if I haven't seen this money come in, that I should fill out an investigation form that will assist in them tracking down where it went, and if it made it to its intended destination. Now it is important that between the back and forth and waiting for this form 2 months since the date the refund was issued has passed. I have received no forms in regards to the return, outside of from the IRS. And the investigation they did come up with it being issued as intended.

I was stumped, till I called the Treasury one more time and got a kernel of information I could actually use. Civista Bank is the bank that received the payment. I immediately googled them, and find I was not alone or even unique as far as the issue I had. SO I called, according to their first agent, and echoed all the way to their department manager. It was my responsibility to contact them earlier, and due to how long I took, they were holding the money for me, but now needed to send it back, to the IRS, before it can be sent back to me.

Additionally, despite never corresponding with me, via telepathy or anything for that matter, they continued and said that after 3 months there was no way they could change the address it was set to go to initially. Here I caught them in a few lies. Their head department manager stated that when the return comes back it is in a read-only state and no changes can be made. Contradictory to the first woman telling me there was nothing they could do because of how long I took. Also another lie was when I mentioned that I would call my lawyer to complain, they put my call back into the customer service queue and disconnected my call.

I never knew explicitly that they would be my depositing bank, and as it stands it seems that the direct deposit information I send to TaxSlayer is on a legal document, but is altered when issued to the IRS without my knowledge, and the Direct Deposit information I legally agreed to, is obviously replaced with Civista's so they may act as the in-between. However they don't explicitly tell you and are not forthcoming with any information pertaining to its progress. Which by entering that information and holding MY money they are acting as my Bank, and there should be certain assurances along with client privilege of sorts to their own information. Why was I not informed of the account number or reference information for a bank holding thousands of my own dollars?

I will not stop with this single complaint however I am also planning to reach out to TaxSlayer and make a complaint with them as well as the lesser evil in this situation. And despite all of this I still don't have that money, it is still being held, for an undetermined amount of time, just to be sent to the IRS, so they may update my address before mailing to me. Again because Civista refuses to change the address information for me, although they seem more than willing to act as my bank and hold my money anyway. This is extortion. They have money and funds of mine and have no concept of legal barrier to keep at the very least informed.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! I used Taxslayer last year to file 1040A. I completed my 2015 return and was ready to file and found out I had been upgraded, w/out notification or confirmation, to the basic edition and would have to pay $12.99. Apparently the upgrade was automatic when I selected a 1040A return because they no longer offer free filling of anything but the 1040EZ. I was not notified of the change, that I would be charged, or that my account had been changed/upgraded. I tried getting customer service via e-mail, getting only a computer generated form letter in response.

I then called and after an extended wait received the worst (lack of) customer service I have ever experienced. I explained that I thought it was unethical to upgrade a customer account from a free to paid account without notification. I said that I felt that they wait till you have already spent hours doing the return to tell you you'll be charged because most people will just pay rather than have to start all over on another site.

The representatives were rude, condescending and completely unapologetic. I spoke to a supervisor who had the same attitude. They said that there was nothing they could do and that they had no control over the site's design. I asked to speak to someone who does or another supervisor. I was denied and the employees would not give their names or even an ID number after I said that I didn't appreciate the rudeness, lack of concern and the fact that not one person had even apologized.

I told them that had anyone been courteous enough to apologize or made any effort to find a way to resolve the issue I may have just paid the money and stayed a customer. That did not happen. After considering I decided not to support a company like this, who I feel uses unethical tactics to make people pay for fees/upgrades they did not want or were even aware they had been enrolled in. I used TURBO TAX INSTEAD! TURBOTAX is great they offer REAL FREE filling of 1040EZ/1040A & this they are also offering free filling for state returns! I was able to redo my taxes and file both my returns with TURBOTAX in less time than I spent waiting on hold and getting nowhere with taxslayer.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2016

So I tried to file my own tax this year to save money (What a joke). I did everything right so I thought but it was a issue and wouldn't let me finish on the income section. The return kept coming back so the girl at Taxslayer told me to put a 1.00 amount to show I made this to get past income. It went through, but IRS eventually sent it back and what was the problem? The 1.00 amount that same girl told me to put. So I decided I would go to a professional which I thought that's what Taxslayer had.

I contacted Taxslayer because they claimed they do money back if not satisfied (Another Joke). They told me to send in the letter that IRS gave me and a supervisor would review it. Well I had to contact them again over the internet and they finally responded. They decided to not refund me because they said it was for 2014 when it's clear in the letter it was for 2015. This company did not refund me and all they gave me was poor service on top of wrong information for my tax. So pretty much once you send your money to them you don't get it back. I will stick to H&R Block or TurboTax (The real professionals).

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

I did my taxes for 2013 and 2014 with no problem with Taxslayer so I file with them again for 2015. It didn't prompt me to enter box 12a and check box DD. Showed good refund. Sent taxes on 01/28/2016, still waiting. ERROR caused delay on tax return.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2016

What gives? My oldest daughter filed and was charged $14.99 to get her state return and my younger daughter was charged $23.99. Then, I see that their basic is $12.99. Really, I do NOT recommend a service that is all over the map. Their process is not difficult, but it is a bit unnerving. Maybe I am spoiled with TurboTax (which I have used for years and will continue to do so for my own return). Hoping that their returns get filed at this point.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

I literally signed up to this site just to complain about how bad and annoying Taxslayer is. Let me start off by saying it used to be free for military, a year ago, now you get 50% off... NOT the end of the world but it gets better. While you are going thru the process of filing your taxes, at the end you have to sign up for some cavista bank account, giving them all this information like your driver's license number and all that. I've never had to do this and I've used Taxslayer for about 3 years now (this being my third year) you don't know about all this till the very end after you press continue a bunch of times and then BOOM, they get you with their $5.00 bank return refund fee. -_- Really??? Anything to make a buck off of you.

The only reason I stayed with them is because it took me almost an hour to file my taxes reading what deductions and what not I could before I hit the continue button a bunch of times to skip all the useless stuff, it's an hour I'll never get back just like the 10 minutes it's taking me filing this out. File your taxes on post for free, skip this website at ALL COSTS! Unless you're lazy. Taxslayer you failed me, you used to be awesome but now you're just as money hungry as the rest of them. One thing I can say about them though, is their customer service isn't bad. I called about a question I had and whoever the customer service rep was, she was very professional. So they're OK at least in that department.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

TaxSlayer is not allowing me access to my last year's tax return on the basis that I do not have a copy of my ex-husband's driver's license. I gave them every other piece of highly important and private information accurately proving exactly who I was. They wasted hours of my time and energy only to tell me that I would not be able to have any access to them whatsoever. Very disorganized and frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2016

Errors in their software and they won't admit it. Worked with their support team on two issues. Easy logical issues. 1. HSA accounts Form 8889 Taxpayers are entitled to an income credit for post tax money put into the HSA account. If you have one, then you qualify. Their software would accept my contributions but would not enter Line 3 which is the IRS limit for family which is 6650. This has nothing to do with your entries, it should be an auto fill in if you have made any contributions as it calculates your credit if you have put in post tax money, if only pretax money, well no credit of course. Couldn't get them to read the IRS instructions, just gave me boiler plate email answers.

2. A distribution for an Inherited Ira is not a income event as long as you follow the inherited rules. Despite entering in the proper dist code ID'ing it as a death benefit, it added it to the IRA distributions. Final story, go to TurboTax, they did it right the first, all the issues above were correctly entered and refund was greater than Taxslayer.com. Stay away.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I completed a federal return on Taxslayer on the 10th Jan 16 and noticed it would not be e-filed until 19 Jan. So the next day on the 11th Jan, I contacted Taxslayer and requested the action cancelled considering it had not been processed. I was informed that I would need to go back into the return and start the process all over and input my birthdate incorrect so the IRS would decline the return. Ok that was no problem, but when I ask for my $12.99 back, I was informed that Taxslayer DOES NOT refund any money whether the return is processed or not. Needless to say I will NEVER use them again. They will keep your money despite the fact they didn't provide you the service. This is not fair to the consumer and everyone needs to know how these people operate.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

Like other reviews below, I too was lured in by Taxslayer's advertisement that the efile was free. When I went to efile and print my returns, I was billed $12.95. Don't use this company, there are other companies who offer a free efile.

Original review: July 13, 2015

I filed my tax return with Taxslayer in January 2015 and my return was due to be released on February 26, 2015. This was confirmed by the "Where's My Refund". I had not gotten a call or email or NOTHING saying that my refund was available. Remind you I e filed and made damn sure that ALL my banking information was correct. The IRS notified me that my refund had gotten adjusted and I am OK with that.

So from FEBRUARY 26, 2015 when my refund was released to TAXSLAYER to APRIL 15, 2015 MY Refund had been in Taxslayer's Account. And I was NEVER told anything!!! I only found out about this through the IRS after I called them, then I called Taxslayer to find out what was going on. And I was told that they had "ALREADY SENT THE FUNDS BACK"!!! NOT TRUE. I've been in constant contact with the IRS and being told by Taxslayer that my refund was sent to San Francisco to the "RISO" DIVISION! And this is what I told the IRS and they're still investigating the issue... No MONEY has showed up in my account with the IRS YET.

Original review: June 5, 2015

Taxslayer fraudulently advertised free tax filing assistance but after giving information they charged me $17.95 which I did not pay. As a result they submitted false information to the IRS which tripled what I originally owed.

Original review: April 16, 2015

I used Taxslayer for the first time based on my boyfriend's previous positive experiences over the past few years. At first, it seemed fine for the federal return. But I never got a confirmation email. Then I tried to file state taxes but they told me I'd have to wait several hours until my federal e-return processed. Today (Apr 15 2015) I tried to finalize my state form. I accidentally clicked on audit support and went back to cancel it 3x but they wouldn't process my return until I paid not only the $28 state fee but the audit fee of $28 as well. At this point I was against the wall so I conceded and paid the $57 in addition to paying my actual taxes, but I felt extorted. Also I STILL don't have emails confirming from Taxslayer that my e-files went through. Common courtesy, people?! Hope I actually did file my taxes and don't get chased by the IRS.

Original review: April 15, 2015

When I went to pay for my e-file it kept rejecting my bank card and never completed my e-file. Later I was looking at my online banking and saw that they charged my account 4 times. They do not answer the phone and no response to an email.

Original review: April 13, 2015

TAX SLAYER PRO SOFTWARE 2013 practitioner professional software supervisors named ** and sales associate ** refused to give my 2013 client database because of my refusal to renew for the 2014 tax season. ** (sales Associate) emailed a zip drive link to my email (**) that can only be opened by TAXSLAYER PRO TECH SUPPORT. After being on the phone for at least 45 minutes with their tech support the software works temporarily and only allows the printing of one return and the software cancels. When a return call is made **, sales for a new 2104 software package is always demanded.

When the software was purchased 2012 the cost was $250, 2013 $650 and for 2014 ** stated that the only package available was the $1250 package, which I refused. Taxslayer Pro is intentionally denying the 2013 software database I paid for in January 2014. The supervisor (**) stated to me on April 8, 2015, that I was NO longer a client so, tech support will be denied. In 2013-2014 I was a paid client.

Original review: April 11, 2015

From the beginning the website touted "FILE FOR FREE, START YOUR RETURN FOR FREE RIGHT NOW." So you go through the whole twenty five minute Q&A process then you get, "CONGRATULATIONS! YOUR RETURN IS COMPLETE! HOW DO YOU WANT TO PAY $39.79?" They assume since you've gone through the whole ordeal that you'll just fork it over. For SHAME TAXSLAYER!!!!!

Original review: April 10, 2015

I filed my 2014 federal return with Taxslayer.com in February 2015. I then looked into finding another means of e-filing my State return as Taxslayer.com was charging $23.90. I found out through my State's Revenue Department's website that based on income, my family qualified for a free State tax return, and Taxslayer.com was listed as a company with which I could do so.

I then contacted Taxslayer.com Customer Support, and was told that because I did not initially enter Taxslayer.com via the link on my State Revenue Department's website BEFORE filing my federal return, I could not receive a free State tax return via Taxslayer.com. NOWHERE on Taxslayer.com was any notice given throughout any part of the sign in or the filing process of this very pertinent information. A message such as "Check with your State's Department of Revenue website to see if you qualify for a free return" certainly would be helpful and should be necessary by law. TaxSlayer.com's decision to withhold this information would appear dishonest, unethical, and bordering on fraud, as TaxSlayer.com would therefore be knowingly deceptive, withholding pertinent information, with the intention of profiting monetarily from those who qualify for and are entitled to a free State return.

I had around four or five email exchanges with Taxslayer.com's customer support and they refused to offer me any help at all. All they did was inform me that their website states that State returns have a fee. This was not the question or issue, of course, yet they continued to patronize me in each email with this information. In the last email I received I was told they would send my issue to a higher department for review and get back with me. That was on February 10th. Today is April 10th and I've gotten no reply. I have since reported them to my State's Department of Revenue and the FTC for deceptively withholding this information. The fee to file for state is, as of April 10th, now $28.95 on Taxslayer.com.

Original review: March 20, 2015

Have used Taxslayer in the past. Went fine. Tried this year but can't get passed the date of birth entry... why? Because under "February" they only list up to 28 days. My husband is a leap year baby! Whoever made the updates to the website this year needs to have their work double-checked. Ridiculous mistake! Guess we'll be using another provider.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

I am a Vietnam Disabled Veteran residing in the State of Wisconsin. Recently did my daughter’s taxes with TaxSlayer. The experience was smooth. After doing my daughter’s taxes, I made an attempt to do my own taxes. Upon completed the tax forms I notice that something was NOT correct. It appeared there was almost a $4000.00 mistake. The mistake was showing I was getting screwed on the said owed amount.

After, exchanged Emails with TaxSlayer support, I discovered TaxSlayer program does not support the Line #46 Wisconsin Tax Form Eligible veterans and surviving spouses property tax credit. Meaning the guided (question & answer) fashion used by TaxSlayer fails to ask questions regarding this property tax credit for 100% disabled veterans. It is likely some disabled veterans like myself will be using TaxSlayer. They will be trusting TaxSlayer will cover all the available credits. This is clearly not the case. Disabled veterans will always feel they have been screwed by Uncle Sam. Now, a major tax filing service is putting the screws to them again. It’s just not fair.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

First I want to say that I'm active duty so I use the military version for free. It is always difficult to know how to start a new year as there is no option for the military version but it works in the end for free. This has always worked well for me and I have never had any problems. I did read other reviews and people seem to expect too much or don't know how to use the system. One user said they couldn't review the return which is false. You can print out the return before filing. One user said that a professional found a huge deduction. Well a person is going to do better which is why you pay more. TurboTax is also not as good as a good professional. For the price - this works very well.

Original review: April 15, 2014

I am sorry but there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the online program. Why would it keep saying I owed the State taxes of $3800??? When I got a federal refund of $3500! It makes no sense. Right off the bat, TurboTax gave me a state refund, and I ended up with a hefty state refund there. I tried to tool around Taxslayer to correct this, but ended up going to overpriced TurboTax. I also tried to contact Taxslayer. I am questioning whether the Taxslayer program gave me correct refunds in the past four years now.

Original review: April 9, 2014

I am extremely disappointed in TaxSlayer and their lack of customer support. I first learned of the free for military while deployed I used the TaxSlayer in 2012. When I returned I had a licensed professional review my taxes and learned that I missed a $2,000 deduction. I thought that was because of my mistake of not inputting items (even though I followed all the "walk me through it" links).

Now it is time to file my elderly parents' 2013 tax return. Very easy, so I thought. When it came to review the return, the TaxSlayer system refuses to let you review the return like it would like when printed out. All they let you review is a summary, which does not include any deductions. Had they let you review the return before e-filing, I would have seen a gigantic error of $5 million in deductions!!! Of course, I did not enter $5 million in deductions. But TaxSlayer pulled this number from somewhere. I only noticed this error after I e-filed because only after you e-file (and pay the fee - it is not free) can you see the 1040 forms.

Because it was after their business hours, I immediately sent an e-mail showing I noticed the error. I called at 6 am. However, the TaxSlayer told me it was "my slip of the hand" that typed in $5 million worth of deductions. I told her that was not possible. In fact, that portion of the computer program said it automatically brought forward numbers from a previous entry. And even if it was true that I erroneously typed in $5 million, the TaxSlayer system refuses the preparer to review the return before the e-file. If I could review the return beforehand (rather than the summary which does not describe deductions) I would have seen the error.

TaxSlayer refused to credit me the expense for an amended return, refused to refund the filing fee. This is strike two - there will never be a strike three as I will not use their service nor recommend them to anyone. Please, TaxSlayer, this all could have been remedied if you permit us to review our returns before e-filing. And to make me a happy customer, credit me the fee for the amended return instead of making us pay $19.99 for an error I know was not a slip of the hand but an error when your system brought the wrong amount of money forward.

Original review: March 22, 2014

I used TaxSlayer to prepare my taxes and submit them for the second year in a row. While last year things went smoothly, this year State rejected my return. I looked at the statement that was provided on why it was rejected, and something with county tax was not added up properly. I checked my information and found it to be accurate. Assuming it must be some sort of glitch, I submitted it to see what happened again. No dice.

I contacted their support and they confirmed that the issue was a bug on their end. They said they would look into it but gave no timetable on when I should expect to hear back. Wanting to get this done and over since I want to move on in life, I decided to try TaxAct, which was giving me the same refund amount as TaxSlayer. I used their software, the totals came out the same, and I submitted it. It was accepted this morning.

I have requested a refund from TaxSlayer, but they said despite it being their issue, they do not give out refunds. Obviously an illegal business practice since their software did not do what was advertised. I will work with my card company to get my company back. I figured I would report this to others so they don't make the same mistake I did.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2014

Tax Slayer stated they would check for errors before submitting my return to IRS and FTB. They failed to check my return and it was rejected. I contacted Taxslayer and 3 days later, I was given erroneous information to fix my return. I followed the directions given by Taxslayer, and the return was rejected (again) by IRS. This occurred four (4) times. I finally requested a refund of $25.90 that Taxslayer charged my debit card. They refused. I am currently filing complaints with various agencies about Taxslayer's fraudulent activity.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2014

I was helping a friend do their tax return and I have over 20 years of experience. I filed single and no dependents, I put in all the W2 form information. I did not make a mistake. I printed out the return and Taxslayer gave him an earned income credit. I printed out the return and it says single no dependents. Unless a law in tax has been changed, Head of house with a qualifying child is the only way to get earned income credit. The consequences is having to file an amended income tax return for 2013 and having to purchase a money order for the amount of the earned income credit. The IRS is not going to be happy with this either. The friend of mine is single and has no qualifying child. It was a very simple return, only a W2 form for a single man.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2014

First time using Taxslayer to do my taxes and I have to say didn't have an issue with them at all. I got my alerts on time, I had a rejection due to my own error and I was able to fix it and have it resubmitted to the IRS which only took 15 mins to get a response back saying it was accepted.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2014

After filling out my information on another free popular tax website, I realized that I would be getting $5772.00 back, however, I was curious to see what Taxslayer had to offer. So before submitting with the other company, I decided to enter the same information on Taxslayer.com free software. In the end, they were only giving me back $4800. I felt like they were a rip off and what I learnt is that even though they are free, they are getting back their money from your returns, a whole $800 worth! Don't use them, they are very sneaky.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

I have used TaxSlayer for 3 years. It worked well for me until my 2012 return. I received a sizable credit for putting solar panels on the house and entered all the data and it looked as if TaxSlayer got everything right. But as I was preparing for 2013 I looked over the solar credit math and the program did not enter my credit on my state form and I overpaid by $1000. I should have caught it last year, I know, but after 2 years of successful use I was lulled into a sense of complacency and overlooked it. Taxes are important. I want my taxes to be right. I will check them myself very carefully from now on but I will not be checking what TaxSlayer has done for me because as Mr. Trump says "You're fired!!" I sent them an email about it but do not expect to hear back from them.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2013

I successfully used this program for several years. However, I guess they just got greedy. I believe they have attempted to stop unpaid use of their program and in doing so, have screwed things up badly. My experience has been similar to others described - wrong information no matter which family member's account I log into. Nonetheless, they have taken me for $22.50 this year - yet my return was rejected and can no longer be e-filed. I can't even get a copy so that I can mail it in! What a RIP OFF. CAVEAT EMPTOR - BUYER BEWARE! STEER CLEAR OF THESE CLOWNS!

Original review: May 13, 2013

I used Taxslayer for a few years with no problem. I paid to have last year's info pulled in and did my taxes, but somehow the fact that I was a resident did not register and I never paid city taxes. I expected a $3,000 return and instead got a bill with penalties for $800. When I wrote to the company, they wrote back that this is a self-serving program. The whole point was that I didn't want to have to fill out all of these forms myself. Why didn't I have this problem the year before when I pulled in the info if this was my error? Never again.

Don't try to blame me when your program is inefficient. I already paid for 2012 and then was told I couldn't pull in the info from the year before because I didn't e-file. The info is right there on their computer and yet I can't pull it in. What a waste of money that was and now I'm paying a penalty.

Original review: April 15, 2013

I was working on state taxes for a friend using Tax Slayer. I entered the information and then we went round and round. I tried to e-file but it kept coming up with need to be reviewed. It reviewed and nothing was identified as wrong. I tried to figure it out. I tried and tried and nothing ever changed, same pages repeatedly and no progress. To say it was frustrating would be an understatement. I won't use it ever again!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2013

I have used Taxslayer for many years with satisfactory results. I have a Schedule E to file, which has always been tricky, but I managed to get it done. This year, my tax return was rejected by the IRS because it lacked a form. When I tried to retrieve the form from Taxslayer, the form wasn't available. So, after losing $20, I decided to use my family's farm tax service. He stated the form they said was missing was not the one that was needed. The form I did need was not offered by Taxslayer. My family 's accountant also informed me that this year, if you reside in Indiana, there is a $220 credit per taxpayer that was not calculated on my State return. He saved me enough money to pay his fee. So if you have a Schedule E, I wouldn't advise you use Taxslayer. They also are not up to using correct forms or have the knowledge of all my State's new rules.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2013

I began the free tax return, only to find out after completing the process that I would be charged fees because my tax filing status no longer fits the free edition. As a courtesy to users, they should notify you when the change occurs so you don't complete the entire process only to find out you're being charged additional fees. The Consent to Use Tax Information form is extremely irritating and worrisome. The e-file process cannot be completed unless you sign a consent form allowing Taxslayer to use and share your information to market you products. I don't need to sign up with a bank in Minnesota to receive my refund. I already have a bank that's why I'm completing my taxes online in the first place. This is the last year I will be using Taxslayer. Time to start using a professional service that doesn't want to be a NASCAR driver.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2013

We did our taxes with TaxSlayer both years and just found out we owe over $2,000.00 when they gave us a return. None of my information was sent to the IRS correctly even though we put it in correctly. I don't understand how this happened, and nobody can explain. We are unable to get the copy of the transaction from them even though we paid for the service. Don't use the company.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2012

I attempted to file our taxes after our son's taxes went through okay. For some reason, their site kept displaying our son's tax results even after I entered our password and user name. I made several attempts to get their IT support to reset something in their server/software, anywhere, so we could file our 2011 taxes to no avail. They kept telling me it was on my end, which could be so because I did what they said to do and it did not work. I now have to file very late and face the penalty, but it won't be after I also join the masses here and shout out how horrible their service is.

Anyone looking to use online tax filing should be discouraged from using the provider Taxslayer. You may not get the results you expect. You definitely won't get proper support whether you call or email. It was only after all this time that I decided to see what other consumers have to say about them and I feel a fool to have put my money (which I now have given them for nothing) and trust in Taxslayer. This is the worst online tax filing service I have ever used. I too will be getting word to the IRS to dismantle their operation. They are not doing a just service to the consumer at all. So could it become the IRS problem if they know but do not do something about them?

Original review: May 15, 2012

I have been trying to contact Taxslayer through their email service since my state return was rejected with a 1025 error message. I cannot get into my state return now because of a log in issue. I have not received an answer for the last month from Taxslayer so my return cannot be resubmitted. I would like someone to get Taxslayer to contact me and help me resolve my problems. I would also like a refund on the price I paid for the state return.

Original review: April 30, 2012

I have repeatedly tried to submit my state tax paperwork and it is rejected each time with no explanation from TaxSlayer. I have also tried to call their customer no service number and it cuts you off every time. This is the worst tax website ever and they should be investigated for fraud! Do not use this service under any circumstances!

Original review: April 28, 2012

I filed my spouse (David **) taxes in 2007 and paid $14.95 via my Bank of America checking account. You cannot submit the form without paying the fee. I found out that it had not been filed and now we are responsible for paying back taxes. I called TaxSlayer and they reported it and why it had not been filed or submitted to the IRS. They stated it was subsequently my fault, although I paid for their services. I feel they dropped the ball and did not submit my husband's 2007 taxes. Can you help with this matter? We have tons of fees from the IRS now, due to their insufficiency.

Original review: April 18, 2012

I have never had a problem with them until now. I have been doing my taxes with them since 2006. No complaints whatsoever. Never been charged hidden fees or nothing like that. People should take the time to read through the programs and not make it a habit to click away through everything and anything. After I submit my returns, if there is a problem with the returns, it is usually rejected back to me for a chance to make corrections. I find all the stuff said above hard to believe. I love TaxSlayer!

Original review: April 18, 2012

I couldn't even print my taxes - calculations came out way wrong. I would have been in deep trouble; it kept asking me to sign to give my information to other companies. I ended up missing the tax deadline because I couldn't get things to work correctly. Took a chance, never again. Stay away from Taxslayer!

Original review: April 16, 2012

As a long-time user/customer of Tax Slayer, I am disappointed to report that on the evening of April 15, 2012, I was bumped numerous times from the website for unexplainable and seemingly illogical reasons. I was repeatedly prompted by the website to re-log in, and due to website glitches, as of the writing of this, I have not been able to complete my 2011 tax return. After waiting for 20-30 minutes, I was still unable to log in. To say the least, this experience is both unprofessional and disconcerting.

Original review: April 15, 2012

I looked up on IRS website recommended websites for Free Federal preparation with qualifying data for my son. On the Free federal sites connections with state designations were reviewed and because Taxslayer advertised no state tax fee also, I chose and prepared my son’s taxes. Federal was accepted. State was then allowed to proceed but before being able to send state, $7.95 was required contrary to original advertisement. The part that bothers me is that it was listed free state but then later after fed tax sent, then later we find out of cost.

Original review: April 10, 2012

Prior year copy 2010: My submitted $4.95 was accepted but no return was available. It just indicated there was an error and I have filled with Taxslayer since 2004. Needless to say, I will not file my 2011 with Taxslayer.

Original review: April 5, 2012

I filed my taxes with TaxSlayer. I got an offer that said I can file my federal for free and my state for only $4.95. Well, well, well, as soon as I was ready to file, I get hit with a $17.90 fee and a $29.95 fee. Not going to happen! Just because of their dishonesty, I am going to file elsewhere even if that means paying an extra $10. I am livid. What a waste of time! Also, I have to agree there's something about their software that doesn't sit right. Any way to permanently delete my account? I don't trust them with my information!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2012

I spent an hour filling out all the info, all normal stuff no weird forms or anything. I get to the end and the State says I owed 622 dollars! So I played around for an additional half hour and it's still showing I owe $622. So I found a number to call, gave my info and for about 20 minutes the line was silent besides all the other call center people coughing. While waiting, I went to Turbo Tax and completed inputting my info. That site said I was owed 242 dollars. So clearly their software is garbage this year seeing as I've used taxslayer many years prior without problems. The help desk rep put me on hold after I told them Turbo Tax had the correct amount. After speaking with "her supervisor", she said that with all the info I inputted that it was the correct amount. What a waste! Their software is garbage. Do not waste your time with them this year. It's worth going to Turbo Tax for an extra 10-20 dollars and you won't get a headache and sore voice from screaming at them while muted. I'm disgusted. It's amazing that they couldn't help or fix their ** software. They just lost a lifetime customer. I will never use their software again. Stay away.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2012

Taxslayer is a ripoff! I did my son's taxes, and used Taxslayer per my daughter's suggestion, and it really surprised me how dishonest they are. They should be shut down. They said federal would be free for my 19 year old son, and instead, they charged $4.95, $29.95 and $14.90. I will never use them again. I have used Turbo Tax for 10 years for myself with no problems, and I pay less in fees than Taxslayer. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2012

Took my stolen SSN and let someone file taxes with it. What kind of verification do they use, if any? Whatever it is it does not catch SSN thieves. Months later I received a postcard asking me to use their service again. They didn't even take my SSN or personal information out of their system. I never received my 2011 tax return and the IRS said my tax return will be compromised for the unforeseeable future.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2011

I gave it 1 star for ease of use. I started a 2010 return on 12/1/2011. I logged in two or three times over the next two weeks, to finish up the return. When I tried to log in again, around 2PM on 12/13/2011, the return was nowhere to be found on the website. Now, understand I had to prepay $9.95 in order to prepare the return. That morning, I had logged in, and worked on it with no problems. I sent an email to support, and got no response. I finally searched the website, and found a number 1-706-868-0985 to pro support, who transferred me to the .com support.

I was then told that an 'executive decision' was made on 12/13/11 to discontinue the 2009 and 2010 software, in order to get the 2011 software up and running. I can understand that, but what I can't understand is that, they sent no notice to their customers, before cutting off the programs. Especially when they had already taken our money! I was told by Mary, who claimed to be a manager with support ID number 18, that a refund would be processed, but she could give me no confirmation number, or proof over the phone that I'd see my refund. When I asked and pursued the matter, she got nasty.

I have been an avid user of the Taxslayer program for 10 years. I have even recommended it to friends. No more. I will switch to another program, one with some integrity. I will wait two days to see if my refund has been processed, and if it doesn't show back up, I will call back and try to find "Mary", and if I have to, I will do this every day, until my refund appears.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2011

We just received a notice from the IRS that we are being audited and we owe them several thousands of dollars in back taxes. Come to find out, after paying the $4.95 to get into our tax forms, and another $10.00 for whatever, that we entered in our state refund from the previous year but it didn't figure into the AGI. This was a domino effect because it then didn't calculate with the Social Security amounts. I went into the system and it shows I entered the proper amounts but they didn't show up on the final forms. Beware, their software is not trustworthy, you risk being audited and owing money if you use them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2011

I went on taxslayer.com to get copies of my past tax returns and they are telling me that I have to pay $4.95 a copy for each year. This is ridiculous. I paid for the service so I should be able to access my own account/tax information. So, I tried to delete my account with them but there is no way to do so, so my private information is going to exist with them in cyber space forever. They are crooks and I want my social removed from their database. For others who are looking for a phone number for them (since they took it off their website so people can't complain), the last number I have for them is 706-312-3765.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2011

I ordered and prepaid for my 2012 tax software in April 2011. A few weeks later, I decided to use a different company. When I got the check for my refund, it was shorted by $300. When I called to ask why, I got the runaround. After several weeks of being told that it was on management's desk and that management would call me to explain, which never happened, I got disgusted and decided to notify as many people as I could about them. They didn't notify me of such a fee and the software won't even be available until late 2011. So, what was the $300 fee for? In my opinion, they've become crooks! I worked too hard for my money just to have some company that didn't even do anything for that money, to steal it away from me! Watch out!

Original review: March 2, 2011

I've used Taxslayer for the past two years and never experienced being charged any hidden fees. Well, when filing both my 2010 return for myself and husband, we were mysteriously charged a $29.95 fee in addition to the $9.95 plus $4.95 for each state. We were advised that we chose a bonus option with University National Bank. This is completely false. We never agreed to this option, and every time I inquire through e-mail because talking to someone is not an option, they advise that I agreed when a 4-page form that I had to read and accept and was disclosed before continuing with the process. I completely disagree. There was no four-page document and their system was designed to agree to terms associated with their Taxslayer fees in order to print. I am convinced that this is a scam!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2011

I'm old, my eyes are going bad and I admit to not being the sharpest knife in the kitchen. Now, I'm kicking myself for not coming here first, when I usually check out every new company I do business with on Google.

A TV ad got me to Slayer, and because Turbo Tax charged me an extra fee last year, though I would try this company. Return rejected three times after taking off my glasses and putting my face to from my screen to make sure I made no mistakes. I suspect that they claim rejected returns to eventually charge more, but can't prove it right now.

Now I'm worried that I will owe taxes in a few years from using this service? You notice on TS site, that they are very interested in getting your friends and family to use this service. Plus, you cannot use TS unless you enter a bank account # even if you want to pay with credit card. Does every other thing in America have to look crooked? Where is the compassion for old people now?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2011

To avoid delay in my e-files due to IRS's technical problems receiving Schedule A, I tried to locate a telephone number on www.taxslayer.com and again after signing in. There is no number listed for contact and in order to talk to a person and get a telephone number you must upgrade to premier service for a fee of $10.00. I continued emailing support advising them of Federal Trade practices and finally received a telephone number. only to call it and still be advised that I must upgrade to premier status for $10 in order to talk to someone.

I attempted to deactivate my returns since they have not yet been e-filed under they're policy. Since this is a current year filing and they can not e-file it until IRS fixes problems on their end, there is no reason I should not be able to deactivate it.

I also viewed my payment history, being taken directly from my bank account for $9.95 Federal, $4.95 State and $29.95 bank fee, ridiculous but unavoidable due to the security number on the back of my bank card not visible any longer, and I found that there are two charges for the same amount of $14.90.

This tax preparing service is way out of line by not providing a working number for consumers to contact them and by these erroneous double charge histories. I emailed my telephone number to them, and was told if I sent in a tax return before they e-filed and my e-filing through TaxSlayer was rejected for the duplicate submission, that whichever got to IRS first would be the return honored. However, TaxSlayer policy is that there is a non-refundable charge if the IRS rejects our tax return. This was not stated to me on the phone with the representative. This is fraud.

I'm reporting this company to the Federal Trade Commission, the IRS and to my State's Attorney General. I have worked in law offices since 1987 and even being a consumer, I do my research into laws.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2010

With the trusted site as it states, I file my 2008 taxes with TaxSlayer.com. However, I received a response from the IRS I owe huge! Due to the fact that TaxSlayer Software doubled and calculated my "Income Tax Withheld". I just enter my W-2 info. step by step on TaxSlayer.com, their Software did the rest. I submit it. It was rejected by 2 error codes, in which I corrected. But the error that now I owe a year later was not detected then by TaxSlayer nor IRS! I feel it's not my fault. It should have been detected/rejected or adjusted especially by the IRS. I cannot afford to pay this. I was instructed by an IRS Associate to take action and take them to Small Claims. I'm not the type of person that would do that. But this is missing with my livelihood. I might not have no other choice!

Original review: June 28, 2010

In follow-up and in all fairness, after my report on a bad experience with Taxslayer and no support, I have received a response and explanation for a bad IRS review. The problem lies in the fact that they expect the client to do worksheet calculations, unlike your local tax preparer. And if you don't, they don't question and submit unfinished information. So, you be the judge. If you want a tax preparer, maybe go elsewhere...

Original review: June 26, 2010

Taxslayer "free-file" was recommended by IRS site in 2008. Now in 2010, I received a notice that I owe over $4000 tax, interest on "unpaid taxes" since April 15, 2009 plus penalties. This notification, after when Taxslayer figured I had a refund, not a tax. I must now spend hours researching their errors, finding funds to pay the IRS (I am presently unemployed) and must also review my 2009 submission, figured by Taxslayer, to find more errors and hopefully reduce interest and penalties on that submission. I know the IRS will not show compassion for the fact the errors were not mine, even though they recommended this company, so I must join in the pleas made by so many others to remove this company from your list, IRS! The final insult is the lack of customer support to admit to and correct their mistakes. How can the IRS and Taxslayer justify their actions that have violated the trust we had during difficult times?

Original review: April 27, 2010

I used Taxslayer last year for my tax return free. It is simple and wonderful. This year it is still good to use for me since I don't know how to do it with standard 1040 form. But it charged me $9.95. It is not free anymore. Why?

Original review: April 16, 2010

I did not efile my tax returns through www.taxslayer.com. I used another software that has an excellent reputation for accuracy and integrity. Only hours after I received email confirmation from the proper software company that my tax return was accepted by the IRS for filing, I received an email notification from taxslayer.com that was sent to another of the email addresses that my tax return was rejected by the IRS. Such a commercial communication violates federal laws and constitutes a mail fraud crime.

Somehow, taxslayer.com is tracking the e-processing of my tax return and is emailing in attempts to get me to sign into its software so that I can be charged fees, and I'm presuming that this would also impede the processing of my tax return, to my loss. Please report this to the US Attorney's office when you receive this message. Everyone else who has received such a communication from taxslayer.com should also report it to the US Attorney's office in their state.

I have not responded to any of taxslayer.com's emails and I hope that I will not incur any adverse financial consequences. I am concerned about what kind of information that can "hack" into because they were able to track the processing of my return down and then find an email address to use to reach me.

Original review: April 16, 2010

This is a free service for filing tax returns for military members. Based on recommendation from my First Sergeant, I used taxslayer.com to file for my 2009 taxes. I'm 44, have been filing taxes for 27 years, and have never had a problem with my taxes until now. Unfortunately, something through taxslayer.com's web interface screwed up my numbers. My refund never arrived, and when I contacted the IRS today about it, they informed me the taxslayer.com webpage calculated our return incorrectly.

Now, in addition to not receiving our refund in a timely manner, we owe a fee to the IRS for having to accomplish our taxes a second time, only now it's after the 15 April deadline. Never again, and I'll be sure to inform the entire base where I work to never again use this POS program for tax returns.

Original review: April 14, 2010

I used Taxslayer for e-filing my federal and state taxes for year 2008 and had no problems. I filed this year, 2009, and Taxslayer only reported state tax from one of my three W-2 forms. Taxslayer showed that I needed to pay my state $149. When you e-file with Taxslayer, you can't view your state e-file until your federal e-file is accepted and then a few days later when your state accepts your e-file, only then can you view your state tax return form. After reviewing the state return, Taxslayer left off $888 of state taxes that were withheld. TaxSlayer doesn't provide the ability to amend your state tax form online. So here I am doing my state taxes myself and getting a $739 refund! Thanks, Taxslayer for nothing! Let's see if they will refund the fee they charged for e-filing a useless state tax return.

Original review: April 8, 2010

Although I had used TaxSlayer for 2 years, this year I could not reconcile my Schedule A deductions with their figure. State taxes paid were supposed to be automatically pulled into the program, yet they weren't and customer support replied that their figure was correct. The reply was written by someone for whom English is obviously a poorly spoken second language, so I questioned their ability to understand our tax system and I went to another site. Done correctly. I owed fed tax of $954 instead of $1171, and received a state refund of $956 instead of owing $28 as per TaxSlayer. Fortunately, because I didn't blindly accept their word; instead of being out $1201, I'll come out $2.00 ahead. I just want this to go out as a warning to other people.

Original review: March 16, 2010

The Taxslayer web page is down and I'm unable to do my taxes. I am not able to get my return. I am not able to get my return.

Original review: March 3, 2010

I bought their software for my tax return for 2009. I ended up owing IRS big amount of money instead of me getting a refund. Upon line by line review of my return, I found out that their addition or formula was absolutely wrong. It was line 60 of form 1040 written as "add lines 55 through 59. This is your tax." I only have one entry in 55-59 which was $4836. However, Taxslayer's automatically put $13,339 in line 60 instead of $4836. Another thing, on the house mortgage interest part (1098), I placed the correct amount. I even double checked it before filling but again upon line by line review 1098 form revealed $1098 instead of the amount I placed which was above $10,000.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2010

My taxes should have been simple this year. The only thing I had to report was $534 in unemployment compensation and $48 withheld by the IRS. I went through the steps and reported this income. The $48 tax showed up on the tax return, but my income of $534 did not. My tax return was rejected because my income showed up as 0 (less than what I was taxed). I am on a tight schedule because I'm also filling out a FAFSA. Eventually I had to just put a zero in the box for income tax and submit it. There is no phone number, so I was unable to get around this flaw. I should have gotten that $48 in a tax rebate, but thanks to Tax Slayer I won't.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2010

I submitted my taxes through their e-file system. They took their fee, $9.95. I waited a full three weeks (although tax slayer claims that direct deposit refunds are received in 5-7 business days) before being able to get any information from the IRS. The IRS told me, they never received my tax return. When I searched for a phone number on site, I found none. I sent an email, the only option they leave available. The reply I got was obviously a robotic response. I think they expected me to pay again!

This site was once useful for me, however I see that many others are having similar issues as I am having now. I have since resubmitted another email to their support team but I also plan to call the numbers listed for their URL registry first thing in the morning. If you haven't yet begun a business relationship with TaxSlayer.com, I would advise you against making to same mistake I did. Do not waste your time with them and do not let them take your money for nothing. I am out of work. This tax return was supposed to help me get through some tough times until I could get work again. Now my rent may be late, all because of a bad company!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2010

I started to do my return based on the fact that the IRS recommended this site. I never did file the return, but was charged anyway for their service which I didn't use. There is no phone number to contact these people. I am out $9.95 for zero service, and I spent valuable time trying to resolve this.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2010

I am very unhappy with this company. I started to file my tax return with them for this year. I go through all of the steps to finally e-file and they asked for a fee of $9.99 for federal and $5 for state so I enter my credit card information to charge after it is processed but they charged it right away. Also, my return was rejected with a code that says I have the wrong pin # or AGI. So I called IRS to get a number and it says I don't need one. I find my husband's number and file with his, but it still gets rejected. I asked a pro tax preparer what I did wrong and he said I filed as taxpayer this year but last year my husband filed as taxpayer and put me down as a spouse. Well, I tried to explain my mistake to Taxslayer and all I get is the same generic attempts to fix my problem, but I keep going in a circle!

I asked repeatedly to have someone call me and speak directly, but no response. They have no phone number that I know about! What kind of business has no phone number? I really feel scammed and taken advantage of with this company. There is no name at the end of my email responses just a number, just "TaxSlayer support #72" or "#57". This company should be called out for unethical business practices. I have a three-month old baby and this has put an incredible amount of stress on my head to try and work out this problem.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2010

I have used Taxslayer 3 out of 4 years. Two years ago, it would not work so I just used a different Efile. Please compare your results from other tax programs first. Turbo Tax gave me $600.00 more than Tax Slayer. I think it is because of the $800 worker’s tax credit. I don't know but I do know I compared line by line Taxslayer and Turbo tax. Federal was exactly the same refund. However, the state refund was way different. I am glad I tried it on both sites.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2010

I went into the NY State Tax website, and they had a few options of software to use for free e-filing on my tax returns. I was eligible for it, so I chose the first on the list which is Taxslayer.com. After finally filling out everything, I wanted to send it. However ,they first made me pay $14.90! They don't even have a phone number, and I sent them a few help emails, but I got no response. I was so frustrated, because I wasted so much time, and I could have just done it myself, and paid a total of 44 cents for the stamp. I don't even know why the government endorses/uses them on their website if they are scam. They should be removed, so they couldn't waste everyone's time & money.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2010

Website says $9.95 when satisfied, but I was charged on the spot. After I paid for the service, the website crashed, and I was told that my tax return was rejected and it had to be fixed through the website then resubmitted. Website is still down, and I cannot redo my tax return.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2010

The ad states I would be charged when completely satisfied. The company charged my account for 9.95 and was not even capable to send the e-file to the IRS. That is not the right way to do this service. I may not even be able to file with or through Tax Slayer. Never again will I use this company. Tax Slayer drew $9.95 from our account before the job was finished.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2010

Well, I filed my 2009 taxes with Taxslayer.com and let me tell you, since the new "Paid Work Credit" on their program, it deducts from your federal instead of adding to it as it's supposed to. ** is going on with this program? For single people, it's $400. For married filing joint, it's $800. So they owe me because now I have to file an Amended return. They are causing everyone who files to file an Amended return and shorting us out of money that we are entitled to.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2010

I have such a similar story except this was my first time using Taxslayer. I keep getting rejected and not even a reason. I tried to contact them, to no avail, and now must start over with another website. I just hope that these people are not storing all of our SS number for their use. Something to think about! Well, I guess frustrated is saying the least. I can't describe what I feel but I do know that they took my money and I am going to call my bank to see if they will work with me on calling Taxslayer out on their scam. If I get anywhere I will post it and let everyone know how to recoup you money!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2010

After several years of e-filing through their site, I was a happy customer. My problem began in summer of 2009 when Mr. E informed me via email that I had won a 4-day/3-night Bahamas vacation from Taxslayer. I did not believe him and was fiercely skeptical as I told him often. Shortly after the initial news, after several emails from Mr. E. insisting it was a real trip, I got laid off. For the next few months, we exchanged emails which mostly consisted of me stating that I was unable to travel because I was still out of work and that my friend I'd planned on taking with me on the trip was getting divorced and relocating to Hawaii. I was unsure when the vacation happen. He said not to worry, that I had a year to take the trip.

In January 2010 (after 2 months of no communication from Mr. E.), I told him that while I still had no job. My boyfriend and I decided to take the trip because NYC has had a really harsh winter so far and we'd hoped on taking the Bahamas trip as a romantic getaway in February. This is when the trouble started. Suddenly the trip was no longer valid, possible or doable. I was steaming mad. Now both myself and my boyfriend are left out in the cold, so to speak.

Of course, conveniently for them, Taxslayer's marketing team suddenly (for the first time) emails me some pasted "official rules" (which I never saw before) accompanied by an insistence that they did their best to accommodate me but that I forfeited the trip. Funny, in that email dated 1-25-2010, it even states the trip must be taken by July 2010. I just cannot fathom why a company would so viciously lie to someone who was ironically skeptical and cynical about the trip to being with. It is unfair. It is pathetic. I deserve a trip as promised.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2010

I submitted my tax return this year and I keep getting error codes for AGI and PIN errors even though I confirmed with the IRS that all the information I entered was correct. There is something wrong with their software and I have not received any response from Taxslayer. They have taken my money and ran. I am left to pay for another e-file elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2010

Taxslayer has been horrible on forms this year. I have always used them in the past and used them this year. I had a basic return only utilizing their education credit form. My claim was rejected 3 times and finally accepted by the IRS and sent to the error department. It had like 4 errors that I had no control over and the IRS said it was most likely a software issue. I tried contacting Taxslayer but there are no phone numbers and no response from email. I am angry and now will have a delay on my refund due to their software issues. Do not use them for your 2009 return. Go to another site! My return is delayed being processed by the IRS due to errors and I cannot even reach anyone at Taxslayer for assistance!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2010

Beware of their 2010 software. It is rejecting returns due to their own program error. Return was rejected and have not received any reply on the reject codes but was emailed back when I asked for a refund, they said no, it's not policy. It should be I got rejected because of their program! IRS stated all four reject codes were with submission of data! Beware. Use some other program this year!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2010

To put it as simply as possible, do not use this service online or in any other way. Both 2005 & 2006, Federal (and subsequent State) returns were filed electronically and whole pages of information never showed up (at the IRS end) regarding capital gains. The IRS, in its infinite wisdom, did not seem to be able to communicate what was missing, so my communications with them dragged on for 2 years. The feds report to the state, so of course, they created their own mess. Threats of liens, actual attached wages and an emptying of my savings account were the outcome. The impact on my health and the underlying stress were quite extreme. I received zero assistance from Taxslayer.com.

There was no availability via phone, no response to emails, nothing. I have resolved the issues entirely on my own and at great personal expense, both to my finances and physical health. I cannot express the frustration and stress that I experienced. Please learn from my misfortune. The IRS encourages you to file online, forget that! It's worth the wait to file via registered, return receipt snail mail. It may not be green and it may not be efficient, but at least you have some control over what is filed and with whom.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2010

FYI - I prepared first with TurboTax, but didn't file because the state forms weren't ready yet. I went to the Dept of Revenue site, where I was directed to this site. I prepared here, got the exact same refunds of course and there were no fees. It would have cost me at least $52 to file with TurboTax. I even had my payment info all put in there so I'm glad I found this and saved that much money!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2010

They charged me for tax preparation, which was denied. I can't find out why or get any support to answer any questions. Basically, they have taken my money and are now unavailable to further help me. I will have to get another service now to help me. A scam? It looks that way to me!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2010

I went through the process to e-file and send my return. Then, it asked for my prior year AGI after I paid $9.95. Well, I couldn't get my prior AGI because this is my first time filing and since it was the weekend, I couldn't contact IRS for my PIN. Now, when I go back on Tax Slayer to put the PIN in, it says that I have to pay $4.95. How do I put my PIN to send in my return without paying for nothing?

Original review: April 15, 2009

I have many clients who use TaxSlayer.com to prepare their income tax returns and just love it. My own parents were impressed that they didn't have to pay to file their returns because of their ages, retired. They have to pinch every penny nowadays and this software was easy for them to follow and use. They got their refunds promptly, after electronically filing, and really like the software.

Original review: April 5, 2009

Poor interface and software errors in the TaxSlayer Federal/State tax filing product from TaxSlayer.com resulted in back taxes and interest penalties. Maine is peculiar about taxing teacher retirement that is exempt on Federal forms. Taxslayer did not account for this. When questioned about this, I was simply told it was my problem for not putting in the correct figures. Their software should have put in the correct figure from Federal to State. It could become quite costly for people making more money than I do who expect tax software to work appropriately for their state. Poor software, poor customer service, this company takes no responsibility for their mistakes. What they take is your money for a shoddy product. This is a sloppy product with sloppy response to an error in their software.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2009

There is no phone customer support, when you try to call (706)312-3765, all you ever get is a pre-recorded message Due to current call volume, we are unable to take your call at this time, please try your call again later.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2009

Deviated from regular software to TaxSlayer.com to save a few bucks. BEWARE state of Maine users. TaxSlayer does NOT take into account that your state retirement is taxable. Thought all was fine until letter from the State of ME Tax Agency arrived. Not only owed $500 back taxes but $50 in interest. This is a egregious deficiency on the part of the software and there are likely other bugs.

BEWARE==communication with this company or complains gets you NOTHING. No further communication, just continued email spam to ask you to file again this year.
Original review: Feb. 5, 2009

Their basic 1040 seems to add a few thousand dollars to itemized amounts (it's simple math for heaven's sake! - watch line 40). When I sent a support request, they are too busy and tell that if you haven't solved the problem yourself, ask AGAIN. You cannot get through to their phone support. I did get fast service when I delete my return and then they sent an email within an hour that said you deleted your return, so we can't help you.

Idiots. I would NOT use this service.
Original review: Feb. 5, 2009

I have used taxslayer in the past and had no problems until now. I was preparing my 2008 taxes and my federal was rejected and I could not understand why. The rejection code was about a pin issue. I called the IRS help desk and they did not see an error on their end. So I resubmitted it again and it was still rejected. I called the number on the taxslayer website and it was out of order!! So I decided to upgrade to their preium package thinking I could get some tips as to what was going on. What I got was a customer service number that actually worked. After paying $5 extra dollars to upgrade. So the customer service rep said that because I had a negative agi for last year that the IRS had a problem with their system and are not accepting negative agi's electronically!! I have to mail my federal in! I am out of the $15 because they did not have anything about these issues on their website.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2009

I saw the Taxslayer.com add stating free state and federal fill out of taxes and it would cost $9.95 to e-file. Upon e filing I tried to contact Taxslayer.com because they only filed my state not my fed and state. I was told to wait until my return was rejected and then print and mail my return! When I asked about the fact that I shouldn't be rejected and also I had paid them 9.95 to e file my taxes not print and mail them in. I wanted my money back if they were not going to be able to efile my taxes she told me the 9.95 was for being able to fill out my state taxes on their site! She told me I would have to wait up to one week for my state to be accepted and then I could file my state but I would have to pay 9.95 AGAIN! I thought she was joking, she was dead serious. They lie in theor commercial when they say efiling fed and state is ONLY 9.95 not to mention that on their website it still states that they are waiting on a response from state on whether my taxes have been accepted or not. When I tried to print my taxes to send them since they were running so slow the print out was 17 pages of scrambled words and numbers! I am not sure what to do at this point. I called and called I found out the company is in Georgia but that is about it! I will never use them again, I guess I am going to have to despute the charges on my debit card. Noting but false advertising and the run around DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2008

I also had an issue with Taxslayer.com. It was difficult to use for Massachusetts taxes. There was no review before the form was submitted and once you submitted and got the copy, the income had been doubled because the input process was confusing. That is my issue with Taxslayer -- no final review of the tax form before it is submitted.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2008

Used Taxslayer software for 2006 tax return. Got a letter from the IRS this year that I owed back taxes. After review of the tax return, realized the software added both the federal and FICA taxes together. I did not receive any notice from the software company of this issue at the time of filing. I had faith that using software would result in correct entries as that is why I use the software to begin with. Very expensive mistake in my view. Will never use the software again. Recommend to others to be cautious.

TaxSlayer Company Information