3.46/5

101 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA

241 Charles Schwab & Co. Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 15, 2019

I opened a checking account with Schwab when I joined the Peace Corps. Thanks to some solid advice from a returned volunteer working at NerdWallet. There are no fees for international transactions and ATM charges get refunded on a regular basis, regardless of the ATM. The APY isn't wonderful, but the customer service is. Amazon Prime recently charged me without my consent for an automatic renewal of a tv subscription on my sister's Prime account, after her own debit card didn't go through. Prime refused me a full refund over the phone, but Schwab ensured I received it. I was barely on hold before Schwab customer service was kindly and professionally connecting me to the assistance I needed. 5/5 stars for easy mobile banking, check deposits, no fees, and phenomenal service.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Competent, courteous and stockwise brokers. A pleasure to do business with and if they cannot respond to questions they will supply the answers through thorough research. Also excellent on mailing requested documents if available.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I was with SCOTTRADE for a long period of time and they were good. Good trading and good customer service. TD Ameritrade bought them out so I moved to Charles Schwab. Their trading platform has some kinks but if one is careful, there's no problem. Charts could be better as they are not as good as Scottrade. Been with them for about nine months and I would recommend them to anyone. Haven't traded on margin so I can't tell you how that will work out. Their site has more locations for information than one can shake a stick at. They do have some sites that I used that are better than Scottrade. It did take some time to get used to though.

Original review: July 10, 2019

This is the first review on anything I have even done in my life. This shall tell you how upset I am. June 1st I opened the Brokerage account to take advantage of their checking account. Immediately I noticed the checking account was not coming up on my summary even though the Brokerage account did. I figured I give it a few days before checking again and made the mistake to make a small transfer to the Brokerage account. Checked again in July 5, still no account despite getting emails telling me to fund the checking account. I called and was told the account was created and that I should wait a business day for it to appear on my summary.

I checked again July 8th and still no account. I called back and I was told again to wait to the next day. Checked back today (July 9) and still nothing. I decided to close the account and reverse the transfer I had made days ago, but the account is 'restricted' and can't make outgoing transfers (how ironic). On top of that, this institution pinned my credit report TWICE with hard inquiries lowering my credit score and STILL no account or availability to withdraw the money. This is beyond ridiculous, border line comical.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I became aware of an account that had been opened in my name back in April. I immediately called the customer service number and the account was closed. Fortunately, there was never any activity on the account. I asked to be sent a letter confirming that the account had been fraudulently opened and that it was now closed. This apparently is too difficult to do. I have called 4 times over the past month and still no letter. I can't speak to anyone on the fraud team as they can only receive emails from the customer service rep (per the rep). I will continue calling weekly until I get a letter for an account I never opened. I pray no one else has to go through this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charles Schwab?

Original review: May 14, 2019

Be very careful when investing with Charles Schwab. They delay your requests. I was aware of the sell off that would occur due to the China tariff trade wars. So, I requested they sell my stocks. Later, I checked my account. They did not do it so I called. They told me it would be a couple of days. In the mean time, my portfolio declined in value - big time. I was told that the stock market would crash if they sold my stocks all at once. Hmmm??? I'm glad I did not invest all of my money with them. My other two brokerage firms, by the way, were able to sell off my stock immediately. So, I saved with them. I will use the other firms and not return to Schwab.

Resolution response: May 2, 2019

They finally transferred my money to a IRA. The sad part is that they took so long the stock prices went up and I obtained less shares. I'm making money again and that is what needed to happen. For now I'm staying with Charles Schwab and this may be temporary depending on future transactions and how I'm treated.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I asked to have a fund deposited into an IRA. I called their rep and received directions on where to find the form and how to deliver thru the Schwab online system. I submitted the form that day. After 21 days of not seeing any changes to my account I got online and chatted with one of their reps. After communicating with 3 reps, I was transferred to "the Team" rep and received a response that they had misplaced my form that I had submitted. The Team rep apologized and provided a credit of 50 free trades.

I could care less about the free trades for I just wanted to deposit my funds into an IRA. The last chat with the Team Rep stated that the transfer should be done by Friday April 29, 2019 and if I wanted to follow up I would need to contact their customer Rep to see if the transfer went thru. Since when is it my responsibility to audit their team and make sure they do their jobs? As of today it has been 28 days since this process started and I have cancelled my request to transfer into their account. After over 10 years with Schwab I feel more secure placing my money elsewhere. Good Luck!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have been a longtime customer of Charles Schwab and was looking forward to getting my son signed up on his 18th b'day. My son turned 18 today and I wanted to take him to our local CS branch and open a brokerage acc't for him. A gentleman (Jacob) gave us a warm greeting and asked how he could help. He gave my son a laptop and told him to go sit down (in the lobby area) and fill everything out.

Neither my son nor I knew what the questions meant or how to answer them. We kept having to get help from him or the other lady at the front desk. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to your company to bring my son into Jacob's office, sit him down, and fill it out WITH HIM??? I think that would have gone a long way in making my son feel important and look forward to having his own brokerage acc't. I think it would have been extremely beneficial to CS if he had taken the time to sit with him and ask him about his financial goals and going over the importance of starting a good savings plan at 18 y.o. Instead, I felt we were rushed out with no info. We get halfway home and Jacob calls my son (he called him Andrew, although his name is Hunter) and said that he needed to return to the office because he had to get more verification for his acc't. Since nothing has been done on his acc't I believe I will take him to the local Fidelity office and start all over with him.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My experience was short of kindness. The gentleman named Cory **. who picked up the phone in Phoenix. I just wanted to ask a basic question... He was so rude on the phone. I've been a past customer and I believe he knew who I was. And when he found out it was me he wanted to just pass me off and transfer my call. It was just a basic question I had about my account. He was really rude and he has been rude to me in the past. I believe he's under the money transfer to Schwab Department For new clients... Someone needs to talk to Corey ** and explain to him that customers need to be treated with respect. As a lady I felt very discriminated against and I believe he did discriminate against me.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I meet with Mike, gave him a copy of my POA for my father. My father has his SS directly deposited to this account. I asked for the correct routing # and Bank account # so that my father and I could call SS office and change to his local bank for convenience purposes. When we called SS they informed me the info was incorrect. They did tell us that the bank was JP Morgan but we still needed the Routing and account #. Mike w/ CS originally stated that he had no idea why there were JP Morgan transaction showing up on my father's account (you will never see these transaction on your personal statements).

After several conversations Mike finally admitted that the JP Morgan account was created by Charles Schwab, because according to him you cannot fund your CS account directly from your SS payment. I asked him to wire money to my father's other account so that I can pay the nursing home (as I do not have checks or a debit card for his CS account). Said he would not wire the money but would have checks sent to me. It has been almost 2 weeks and still no checks. I am almost 2 months behind in paying the nursing home that he is in, because of their lies. FYI he never posted my POA or any information about me on my father's account & never told me that I needed to have a Charles Schwab affidavit completed. It was lie after lie. Take your money somewhere else.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I initiated a Money Link transfer to a Schwab account in February of 2019. Charles Schwab debited the transaction on a problem with JP Morgan who handles their ACH transfers for Money Link. Everything looks fine until March 2019 when Schwab decides to make an adjusting accounting entry and withdraws money from my account, resulting in me losing around 300 dollars. I sold all of my shares of stock in my Schwab account and have decided to leave the behind company forever. They cannot expect to conduct their transactions so recklessly and without notice to their customers who have bills to pay.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I use my mobile device on a regular basis to watch my account and trade on a daily basis. The fingerprint login repeatedly glitches and makes you enter your password and online I.D. Then you have to opt into the fingerprint access. This is frustrating. As you all know, prices can and do change in seconds. I have lost hundreds over the last week and a half due to this. If I’d of been able to use the fingerprint to log in, I would have been able to lock in trades that increased my portfolio value. Thanks for being a fortune 500 company with a very hit or miss APP. Not like we can stroll around with a computer strapped to our necks.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Just beware of being lied to. Very, very difficult to get funds transferred from the company. They sure accept funds easily enough. Beware! Terrible, terrible, terrible. Please shop around! They are just plain old money grubbers. As long as they are getting the money, everything is fine.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I used Charles Schwab & Co. for the first time and it was the worst experience ever. They are only about the money that they can get in. They do NOT CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE! Invest your money somewhere where they care about what is best for you in the long run because once they get their hands on your money they WILL NOT GIVE IT BACK! DONT TRUST THEM. RUN FROM THIS COMPANY. TRUST ME. RUN! You're better off keeping your money in a shoe box!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

They allow you to trade stocks even if you do not have the full funds to cover, or the transaction will place you in a day trader situation. They take their commission for the trade. Then later in the day you’re notified that your account is now in a 3 month suspension due to the trade, which they allowed and got paid their commission for.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We have been going around and around for 3 months trying to get funds released that belonged to our deceased father. Schwab acts like it is THEIR money we are trying to get released, and even though we have followed their guidelines TO THE letter, they continue to stall and act like we are making an unreasonable request to close this account and just get a damn check. If I had to invest money someplace, it will NEVER be at this dishonest company! As if it weren't bad enough to scrape up enough money to bury our dead relative and pay off debts, they have to pile on by stalling, lying, delaying and generally acting like we are criminals. I hate this company!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Here is real trade example from Schwab International account: 1. Acquisition of 1500 shares ASNS on 02 Jan 2019. Security Description: ASNS Arsanis Inc. Action: BOUGHT. Trade Date: 01/02/19. Settle Date: 01/04/19. Quantity Price Principal Charges and/or Interest Total Amount 1,500 $2.3492 $3,523.80. Commission: $4.95 $3,528.75. All is OK so far.

2. Sale of 1500 shares ASNS on 03 Jan 2019. [Expected Profit = (Sale price 2.6383 - Acquisition price 2.3492) * 1500 shares – commission 4.95*2) = 0.2913*1500 – 9.90 = 423.80 USD. But I was shocked when received trade statement below: Security Description: ASNS Arsanis Inc. Action: SOLD Trade Date: 01/03/19. Settle Date: 01/07/19. Quantity Price Principal Charges and/or Interest Total Amount: 200 $2.6405 $528.10. Commission: $0.66 $400.69. Exch Process Fee: $0.01. Other Fee*: $126.74. 1,300 $2.638 $3,429.40 Commission: $4.29 $2,602.01. Exch Process Fee: $0.04. Other Fee*: $823.06. 1,500 $3,957.50 $954.80 $3,002.70 - *Includes tax withheld.

Instead of profit after this tax I have a loss of (3528.75 – 3002.70) = 526.05 USD. Explanation from Schwab: The commission charged on your trade was the standard online rate of $4.95. However, due to the W-8 status of the secondary owner of the account having expired on 01/01/2019 and the trade taking place on 01/03/2019, there was a $949.80 U.S. tax withholding on the trade. Per IRS Publishes 2018 Withholding Guidance, the backup withholding rate on certain payments to taxpayers who have failed to provide a taxpayer ID number (e.g., on stock sales in the absence of a Form W-9/W-8BEN) is now 24%.

The questions to Schwab are: 1. As they knew there was no W-8BEN form from secondary owner, why they haven't informed me? 2. Why the tax is deducted from the whole amount instead of the profit? It looks it is more a legal reason to steal money from the foreigners – after several such 'taxations' there will be no money left (I heard such practices exist in countries like North Korea). I still hope it is some kind of error, otherwise it is a clear message to all foreigners – stay away from US (as Trump says: America is first, e.g. for US citizens).

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I called in to a local St Louis branch to ask how I could drop off a check to further fund my account. A representative from Denver answered, even though I called a branch in St Louis. The Schwab representative was hostile and was trying to pick a verbal fight with me. He was very passive aggressive and unhelpful and I've never had such an experience before. This is a financial services company and I am very disappointed to learn the people behind the management and service of our money. I DO NOT recommend Schwab.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Charles Schwab is not a choice for me, as after a few months I closed the account. Why? Having invested for close to 50 years they would not allow for me to purchase call or put options! They would not even allow me to sell covered calls! Their website has serious flaws. For weeks I kept getting the guide to Schwab introduction box, no matter what I did. Each time I logged in there was that dialogue box, time and time again.

After fixing the above mentioned item, next came the security dialogue box, requiring me to enter a text code from my dumb phone. Even after THREE CALLS to their "tech" support, the issue was never fixed on a permanent basis. Oh, I should also add, that Charles' trading platform is really nothing special. The only plus I can give them was their local office, which was very efficient and helpful with setting up the account.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I traded a stock based on Charles Schwab research information. I was charged 6% over the bid and 3% over the highest given daily stock price based on info given from the Charles Schwab website. It was an instant $600 loss when I submitted the purchase. When I called to inquire, they offered a $50 credit to my account. ***My bad I guess but, don't trust the information provided by Charles Schwab and don't ever perform a "market order" on a stock purchase because they can charge whatever they want for a stock without asking you if you still want to buy/sell it. This could easily wipe out an entire account on one trade.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

If you ever have a problem with your account; you will find them to be very arrogant. I made written requests regarding my account and they ignored these requests repeatedly; requests which I had no problem with other brokers. I have closed both accounts and moved to Tastyworks. I have no such problems with them; great broker.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have used Charles Schwab bank to wire money overseas, it has been almost two months now and I am still waiting for an answer. Whenever I called them, I get representative that blame the Federal Reserve, and they can do nothing about my money. This is misleading, and further covers up a flawed banking system that lacks the ability to track payments. When they don’t arrive at the supplier’s bank, payments cannot easily be found and recovered. Banks are supposed to be trusted institutions. However, their outdated technology leaves customers vulnerable to these issues. When these problems arise, banks don’t provide adequate support. It seems they either just don’t care enough or they simply lack the technology to adequately process a payment across borders.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

If there was NEGATIVE STARS I would give this company -5. I am a public speaker and a business coach and have lectured around the world for 22 years, so they really messed with the wrong person, they shall be my ongoing example for my lectures about HOW TO LOSE CUSTOMERS. I was testing the experience of investing with them with little money to go ahead in 90 days and starting investing 6 digits... But they TOTALLY MESSED UP BIG!!!

They were happy to take my investment $8.000, but when I want to authorize my husband to use the account on my behalf they were RUDE on the phone, totally unprofessional and pass the call one to the other and not resolve my request, not even LISTENING to me, wasted my precious time (which is money) on the phone with them for hours while they keep reading scripts, all they did is TALK and TALK OVER the customer (me) and not listen, not honor the request. This was simply THE WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE I EVER EXPERIENCED, I am taking my investments some other company. This one needs massive customer service training, so imagine how bad they will be at giving me my money back, now that I shall go invest some company that has a clue about customer service.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I tried open Charles Schwab account today. They told me that I can't open account with them anymore because they said it was fraudulent account. They didn't even try to help me fix my account or anything. That whole company is full of crap. They try to get invested into their business and company and they don't even tell the reason why they closing your account due to a business decision which I think is bunch of bull crap. To me they try to scam pay customer's that has account with them. They were being discriminated against paying customers that has put Money into your company and not telling them why you closing their accounts is bull crap.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I realize that Schwab is in a regulated industry but their speed of settling sales and transferring money is abysmal. Confirm sale of mutual fund on day 1, cash not available in account until day 4. Request money transfer (remember, this is CASH!!) to my bank and it's another three-day process - minimum (Fidelity is two!). This is not the 80's. If PayPal can confirm a $5000 payment to China in less than an hour what the heck is Schwab doing with my money? (It's called "float" and the longer they can hold it the more they make on it and you are making nothing!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Ever since opening my brokerage account at Charles Schwab, my debit card has been declined 90% of the time for "fraud monitoring". No matter how many conversations I have had with representatives and supervisors, explaining that I travel a great deal for work, my card is almost always declined. I cannot use it with colleagues, socially or anywhere I am known, as 9 out of 10 times I will be humiliated. That is then followed by the same aggravating 20 minutes of waiting on hold, followed by "verifying my identity", on average 2-4 times a week. Do not ever leave home thinking you can access your funds, because chances are, you can't!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

After 9 months and 48 trades I had 6 funds out of 21 making money. I lost 8 percent of the amount I invested. It was the worst mistake of my life. I won’t advise anyone to invest with them. They charged me .026 percent to manage the account with a financial advisor. It had a satisfaction guarantee. I called them and they told me they would only refund me one quarter worth of fees instead of 3 quarters. I’d highly advise to stay clear of Charles Schwab.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My employer set up a Roth IRA account for me through Schwab. Shortly after, I got a new job and new 401k. The process to transfer my money was EXCRUCIATING. The first woman I spoke to had no I idea what she was talking about, and directed me to contact the new investor. The second person I spoke to told me I needed to mail in a special form because they could not make the check out to the new investor. The third person I spoke to told me I didn't need to do that, just fill out a form online.

Then I received an email saying they could not process my request, providing 2 separate numbers for me to call, both of which, brought me to a survey which I was immediately hung up on after answering the first question. The third, Google search customer support line, brought me to someone who said he was transferring me to the appropriate department. The person who then picked up said I was in the wrong department and needed to be transferred again. I have been on hold for over 30 minutes in counting and have gotten absolutely nowhere. Mind you, I had another investor to transfer funds from, Fidelity, in which the process was extremely simple and straightforward. Vanguard has also been great. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SCHWAB!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I've been in the industry as an employee of a brokerage firm for nearly 5 years. This is not the place to open a brokerage account, plain and simple. There are far better options out there like Ally Invest or Fidelity. My experience at Charles Schwab has been by far the worst experience I've ever had with a financial firm, banking, investing, etc. It takes days to even get an account approved, when I uploaded my documents (license, etc.) it took 48 business hours for someone from service to even review it... a few days later, and I HAD TO CALL THEM back to ask what was going on. Turns out, because I'm affiliated with another broker, my account required more paperwork... why didn't they call and just tell me that?

Transferring funds from an external account also takes 4 business days... 4 days just to have money approved and deposited for trading. Know what? Ally can essentially do this real-time. Furthermore, there was a promotional offer (cash or trades pending deposit amount) - welp, I didn't qualify for those either because they do it by account, not an aggregate of overall assets. THE ONLY REASON I will stay there is because it is a requirement from my employer, something related to compliance and monitoring of employee accounts. Just take my advice, save your time and open an account somewhere else. Chuck is the last person you want to give your money to.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I've been given the runaround about cashing out an old employer contribution. I've been told something about the patriot act and it takes 2 to 4 days to finish so I can have access to my money. Yesterday I spoke with someone there that told me it takes 2 to 3 weeks. A supervisor said the website is correct about the 2 to 4 days. It shouldn't take this long to verify my address or identity. All I want to do is get my money so I can pay for my cancer meds. They say they need to verify I live at my current address and it takes so long to do that but in the meantime they keep sending letters to my house so they know I'm here otherwise they wouldn't use mail to communicate with me.

Charles Schwab expert review by Clark Kendall

Charles Schwab offers a wide range of financial services and products, including online trading for all levels of investors. The publicly-traded company was founded in 1973 and is headquartered in San Francisco. The full-service firm has offices across the country to provide investors with support for whatever type of brokerage service they have.

• Personal consultations: Customers with trading accounts can set up a free consultation with a professional broker to learn about the online trading platform or review their investing strategy. Clients can schedule a phone or online chat consultation or visit a local Charles Schwab office.

• Platform: Charles Schwab’s proprietary StreetSmart Edge® platform was designed to help online traders find investment information and make trades. Interested consumers can visit the website to view a brief demo or have a more extensive walk-through. The Charles Schwab website lists the speed at which the platform executes trades for customers who want to make trades very quickly.

• Research tools: Charles Schwab clients have access to resources to help them gain information about stocks, options and other investment assets, like a letter-grade rating based on Charles Schwab’s predictions.

• Local workshops: Some Charles Schwab offices host live workshops for those with online trade accounts with the company. Interested consumers and existing clients find information for the nearest workshop location online.

• Best for: Charles Schwab is best for self-directed investors with some prior knowledge of the stock market. It also has service for semi-involved or hands-off investors.

Profile picture of Clark Kendall
Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Charles Schwab & Co. Company Information