Charles Schwab & Co.
1.82/5
Get expert advice Hire a pro
Answer a few questions to find a great financial advisor. Compare the top 3 fiduciary financial advisors near you.
FIND MY ADVISOR

Charles Schwab & Co.

101 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

222 Charles Schwab & Co. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

If you ever have a problem with your account; you will find them to be very arrogant. I made written requests regarding my account and they ignored these requests repeatedly; requests which I had no problem with other brokers. I have closed both accounts and moved to Tastyworks. I have no such problems with them; great broker.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have used Charles Schwab bank to wire money overseas, it has been almost two months now and I am still waiting for an answer. Whenever I called them, I get representative that blame the Federal Reserve, and they can do nothing about my money. This is misleading, and further covers up a flawed banking system that lacks the ability to track payments. When they don’t arrive at the supplier’s bank, payments cannot easily be found and recovered. Banks are supposed to be trusted institutions. However, their outdated technology leaves customers vulnerable to these issues. When these problems arise, banks don’t provide adequate support. It seems they either just don’t care enough or they simply lack the technology to adequately process a payment across borders.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

If there was NEGATIVE STARS I would give this company -5. I am a public speaker and a business coach and have lectured around the world for 22 years, so they really messed with the wrong person, they shall be my ongoing example for my lectures about HOW TO LOSE CUSTOMERS. I was testing the experience of investing with them with little money to go ahead in 90 days and starting investing 6 digits... But they TOTALLY MESSED UP BIG!!!

They were happy to take my investment $8.000, but when I want to authorize my husband to use the account on my behalf they were RUDE on the phone, totally unprofessional and pass the call one to the other and not resolve my request, not even LISTENING to me, wasted my precious time (which is money) on the phone with them for hours while they keep reading scripts, all they did is TALK and TALK OVER the customer (me) and not listen, not honor the request. This was simply THE WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE I EVER EXPERIENCED, I am taking my investments some other company. This one needs massive customer service training, so imagine how bad they will be at giving me my money back, now that I shall go invest some company that has a clue about customer service.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I tried open Charles Schwab account today. They told me that I can't open account with them anymore because they said it was fraudulent account. They didn't even try to help me fix my account or anything. That whole company is full of crap. They try to get invested into their business and company and they don't even tell the reason why they closing your account due to a business decision which I think is bunch of bull crap. To me they try to scam pay customer's that has account with them. They were being discriminated against paying customers that has put Money into your company and not telling them why you closing their accounts is bull crap.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I realize that Schwab is in a regulated industry but their speed of settling sales and transferring money is abysmal. Confirm sale of mutual fund on day 1, cash not available in account until day 4. Request money transfer (remember, this is CASH!!) to my bank and it's another three-day process - minimum (Fidelity is two!). This is not the 80's. If PayPal can confirm a $5000 payment to China in less than an hour what the heck is Schwab doing with my money? (It's called "float" and the longer they can hold it the more they make on it and you are making nothing!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charles Schwab?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Ever since opening my brokerage account at Charles Schwab, my debit card has been declined 90% of the time for "fraud monitoring". No matter how many conversations I have had with representatives and supervisors, explaining that I travel a great deal for work, my card is almost always declined. I cannot use it with colleagues, socially or anywhere I am known, as 9 out of 10 times I will be humiliated. That is then followed by the same aggravating 20 minutes of waiting on hold, followed by "verifying my identity", on average 2-4 times a week. Do not ever leave home thinking you can access your funds, because chances are, you can't!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

After 9 months and 48 trades I had 6 funds out of 21 making money. I lost 8 percent of the amount I invested. It was the worst mistake of my life. I won’t advise anyone to invest with them. They charged me .026 percent to manage the account with a financial advisor. It had a satisfaction guarantee. I called them and they told me they would only refund me one quarter worth of fees instead of 3 quarters. I’d highly advise to stay clear of Charles Schwab.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I was with SCOTTRADE for a long period of time and they were good. Good trading and good customer service. TD Ameritrade bought them out so I moved to Charles Schwab. Their trading platform has some kinks but if one is careful, there's no problem. Charts could be better as they are not as good as Scottrade. Been with them for about nine months and I would recommend them to anyone. Haven't traded on margin so I can't tell you how that will work out. Their site has more locations for information than one can shake a stick at. They do have some sites that I used that are better than Scottrade. It did take some time to get used to though.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My employer set up a Roth IRA account for me through Schwab. Shortly after, I got a new job and new 401k. The process to transfer my money was EXCRUCIATING. The first woman I spoke to had no I idea what she was talking about, and directed me to contact the new investor. The second person I spoke to told me I needed to mail in a special form because they could not make the check out to the new investor. The third person I spoke to told me I didn't need to do that, just fill out a form online.

Then I received an email saying they could not process my request, providing 2 separate numbers for me to call, both of which, brought me to a survey which I was immediately hung up on after answering the first question. The third, Google search customer support line, brought me to someone who said he was transferring me to the appropriate department. The person who then picked up said I was in the wrong department and needed to be transferred again. I have been on hold for over 30 minutes in counting and have gotten absolutely nowhere. Mind you, I had another investor to transfer funds from, Fidelity, in which the process was extremely simple and straightforward. Vanguard has also been great. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SCHWAB!!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I've been in the industry as an employee of a brokerage firm for nearly 5 years. This is not the place to open a brokerage account, plain and simple. There are far better options out there like Ally Invest or Fidelity. My experience at Charles Schwab has been by far the worst experience I've ever had with a financial firm, banking, investing, etc. It takes days to even get an account approved, when I uploaded my documents (license, etc.) it took 48 business hours for someone from service to even review it... a few days later, and I HAD TO CALL THEM back to ask what was going on. Turns out, because I'm affiliated with another broker, my account required more paperwork... why didn't they call and just tell me that?

Transferring funds from an external account also takes 4 business days... 4 days just to have money approved and deposited for trading. Know what? Ally can essentially do this real-time. Furthermore, there was a promotional offer (cash or trades pending deposit amount) - welp, I didn't qualify for those either because they do it by account, not an aggregate of overall assets. THE ONLY REASON I will stay there is because it is a requirement from my employer, something related to compliance and monitoring of employee accounts. Just take my advice, save your time and open an account somewhere else. Chuck is the last person you want to give your money to.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I've been given the runaround about cashing out an old employer contribution. I've been told something about the patriot act and it takes 2 to 4 days to finish so I can have access to my money. Yesterday I spoke with someone there that told me it takes 2 to 3 weeks. A supervisor said the website is correct about the 2 to 4 days. It shouldn't take this long to verify my address or identity. All I want to do is get my money so I can pay for my cancer meds. They say they need to verify I live at my current address and it takes so long to do that but in the meantime they keep sending letters to my house so they know I'm here otherwise they wouldn't use mail to communicate with me.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have been with Charles Schwab for years, since 97? Until the last 6 years, I did my own quite passive investing, index funds and what not. Consistently mediocre returns. So, I decided to go the managed portfolio route... over the past 5 years. Again passive involvement (3 phone calls in 5 years) with really just moderately aggressive initial direction provided. Over 5-year span, I had a 3.8% return annualized return. So, no, not satisfied with Charles Schwab. Recently jumped ship. My exit talk with adviser was interesting. Older fellow obviously very intelligent and experienced but perhaps just too smart for my own good.

Apparently, 5 years is just too short-term and no downturns in this span, so I was told it's all a matter of timing. I'll note that my asset allocation did not seem to even correspond to benchmarks compared with on research investment tools on Schwab site. My returns Underperformed these Schwab benchmarks and well underperformed other benchmarks, e.g. at Merrill Lynch, in my post-mortem study. Good riddance, Schwab.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Schwab offers a daily sweep of your brokerage cash into many different mutual funds. These funds have paid you over 100 bips on your money. Schwab decided to change this and most will not realize that going forward you will only earn 30 bips on the money. This is shameful as they are hurting the clients that helped them. In one cash their treasury sweep fund has $9 billion. And they will save over 100 bips. Shame on this, shame on them. Protect yourself and make sure you move your cash to the mutual fund for a higher payout.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I keep getting locked out because of their vocal recognition password and web password system 5 times in a row. I have to call support to get it fixed with apologies from their technical dept. Ever heard of the saying "The Front Line Doesn't Lie?" Well their tech line says they have had a lot of upset clients because of their password system failures. So to continue, I wanted to sell all of my shares about 300k worth. This was a time sensitive issue and I tried my web access and of course it read that I was locked out and needed to call tech support again, feeling defeated once again.

I thought I would just call in and make the phone sell order request with one of Schwab's support personnel in Denver. I got a lady on the other end and I made my request clearly and she acknowledged and understood my request. While I thought she was completing the task we chatted about the stock and how I had such trouble with my password lockout issues, etc. The phone connection went dead. I assumed that we were all done anyway. I never received a callback so I felt we were good with the transaction. The next day I checked my shares and nothing was sold, so I called back and was told the transaction was never processed.

I requested for a manager to call back, he did call back and told me that after reviewing the taped call he acknowledged that their client agent acknowledged my request to sell all of my stock but did not go thru with the sell request and furthermore he had no idea why I did not get a callback, which they say should have happened. He said that he could not honor my clear instructions to sell my shares. I will tell you that he was very apologetic and acknowledge that there was no misunderstanding in what I wanted but he could not go back and fix it. He said that it was just not possible. He said I had nowhere to go with this issue.

So it cost me 100,000 dollars for their mistake as the shares were declining rapidly, hence my call. I have been a Schwab client for 30 years with a substantial amount of money invested thru them during this 30 year relationship. I am looking to see if I can get some legal help at this point because I feel I have been treated unfairly and with prejudice. So others out there please beware, other blogs that I visited have reported many of the similar complaints about password issues and phone selling complaints.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

The consultant Raj from their Edina main office was not capable to open accounts since 5 weeks as he did not know how. Then he instead of putting some funds in a traditional mm account he purchased mm funds. On those he in writing quoted a different interest rate that it pays - and it fluctuates. Quoted me a different yield on my T bill purchase. After speaking to Chris ** in their corporate office I was belittled and due to the fact that I have a German accent. Told me I misunderstood (I have all in written form and on tape). Borderline discrimination. Disgusting. They will lose my accounts and get sued to the fullest extent the law allows me.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My account was restricted upon first opening it because apparently while sitting in my room in northern Virginia, I was "outside of the United States." Hmm... last I checked Virginia was still part of the United States. I am not using any sort of funny program that throws off the location of my IP address. Just Chrome. So then I call Schwab to get this figured out. I am told "they should have it figured out soon." Okay. So I wait a week. Still restricted. Wtf. So I decide to chat with an agent this morning, and lo and behold, this is when I am finally told that my account was restricted for opening the account while I was outside of the United States.

What? First time I've heard of this, why the hell didn't the first person I spoke to mention this? I haven't left the US since I was a small child only to go to Niagara Falls and back... So then, since I left Ally for having surprisingly even worse service than Schwab thus far, I am quite frustrated since having missed out on both TSLA and AMD earnings (both up more than 30% since). I am told to call Schwab account verification. I do so, gladly, it's 8:30 am, and Schwab has 24/7 customer support, that's part of what's so great about them, right? WRONG. Account verification is from 9:00-5:00. Seriously Schwab? Do better.

Resolution response: Aug. 5, 2018

many processes were paper based and redundant. finally schwab rectified the mistakes and shortcomings after my complaint to the top management. i could file everything online and i was promised to get better response times in the future. people make mistakes but it is most important how they make up for. by providing special service after many mistakes. schwab has proven that it is an excellent company. the free debit card refunds all worldwide atm fees and does not charge any bogus fees (international fees, conversion fees etc) as most other cards. for the card alone, schwab is better than most other brokers.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Schwab caters mostly to senior citizens who have no experience with the web and no need for a modern online broker. Most business processes are completely outdated. They use forms and only telephone. They make the impression of an online company but in reality it is not. Everything must be printed on paper and sent it to them by mail. They act like a company of 50 years ago. Also everything is based on the telephone. There is an internal mail system but they say they need 2-4 days to answer which is ridiculous. The trading system is inferior to any other broker in the USA. Nothing special. It is better to use the website to trade which has many disadvantages. Schwab is also very bureaucratic like no other broker in the USA. I do not want to deal with outdated and bureaucratic that is why I moved to a better broker.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I've been a Bank of America customer since they were Bay Bank 1993, over the years they were good to me but gave me only 0.01% interest as a preferred customer? I've been changing money around testing other banks. Capital One 360 is also a good banking option. BoA charges me $3 to transfer my own $$$ to my own accounts? ENOUGH!!! I looked up Charles Schwab and seen they were a broker as well as a Bank, I decided to apply (they WILL hard credit check you), Charles Schwab is apparently not a Bank for people with bad or low credit ratings. They have a higher standard and it's worth it. I was 808 rating, dropped to a 804 with the hard check, got my Checking account and WOW, so much information on the app, I got a free brokerage account with my Checking. I can literally swipe right and see today's stock market and even buy trade...

I already as a new customer get 0.20% interest on my checking account which is way better than 0.01% from BoA, free checking, free checks, they even reimburse all ATM fees from anywhere for any reason. I wanted a savings account also, well unlike the online application for a checking account you have to fill out a paper with your information and fax it to them. I thought this was cheesy, I mean it's 2018 and I have to mail or fax a savings account application???

At any rate they accepted it, dropped it right under my checking, I get 0.40% interest on my savings. I transferred all my BoA bill to Schwab, all my auto deposits, and auto transfers, it's been AWESOME!!! I cannot deposit checks without going to a Schwab bank or doing the photo deposit but honestly I just photo deposit. BoA if you have a problem your call go through the call center hell, go through 14 security checks, and then wait on hold for 45 minutes!

Schwab, I click chat with Schwab customer service and in 2 minutes a person greets me with, "Hello Marc. What can we help you with today," I ask and within minutes my question answered feeling calm and pleased. I am sure others may have had issues, but if you're financially savvy, don't spend your entire account every other day and are frugal, and just want a great professional bank with quality service and an amazing banking app... Charles Schwab is it! I mean seriously, I am so pleased I've been telling all my friends, "Dude get Schwab. You won't be disappointed." In closing I will admit I've only been with Schwab for 4 months now, but it's been bliss! :)

Original review: July 6, 2018

I recently received a check that I needed the funds from the same day. Because of this, I opted not to use their mobile deposit feature (which says it takes one business day to clear), and instead drove to a branch to deposit it. When I tried to use the money later that day, my account showed a zero balance. I called and was told that there is a five business day hold on all checks. I asked for an exception and they said they couldn't provide one. Nobody told me upfront that it would take five business days for the check to clear, and I was left stranded without the money I needed to pay bills. I will be closing my account with Schwab and banking elsewhere from now on.

Original review: June 29, 2018

DON'T get a Charles Schwab Debit Card and think you will have any fraud protection. The company is extremely crooked. I traveled to a foreign country and attempted to make a $400 purchase is a store. The store owner was crooked and after swiping my card through her reader twice told me that the machine wasn't working to print me receipt. She had me sign a scrap of paper that was barely readable.

A while later I was shocked to see a charge of nearly $1500 on my debit card. I notified Schwab who obtained records from the merchant. The merchant two credit card receipts for the amount with a forged signature that wasn't anything like mine. The merchant also sent a phony itemized list with the same phony signature. Decided that the charges were authorized merely because I was there. Apparently Schwab decided that merchants cannot commit fraud, of a customer is present. They asked me why I did not have a receipt. Of course the merchant refuses to give me one. (Why would he give me a receipt when he was planning to defraud me?) Schwab Bank and their fraud protection is not to be counted on or trusted.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have had many problems with banks; since I started using Schwab I am a trouble-free banking customer. I recall how livid I was in the 90s when Washington Mutual would not refund my $470 Christmas money IBM.NET stole from me... Well they told me to go to my bank so I really feel like Washington Mutual owes me... Well "never again". I know Schwab is a real bank and they will back their real customers.

Original review: May 19, 2018

For 2 years I have made a simple request: I want to have fingerprint recognition on my smartphone and fob for my desk computer. SIMPLE REQUEST YET NO REASON GIVEN FOR NOT DOING IT! Who want to travel with a FOB??? I want to be able to check my accts with my fingerprint authorization when I am traveling. With Schwab’s IT it is either/or not both! A 1 star for their IT Dept, and UNRESPONSIVE management. THANKS.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I have no doubt that Schwab has the best people, the best service of any broker in South Florida. The Boca Branch is simply amazing. They have all the resources you need but most important they have the best people to help you with what is good for you. They leave no stone unturned.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I agree... Schwab is totally unprofessional as is evident in their simple math calculations and what they reveal to the customer. Here is our correspondence with them. NO ANSWERS... AT ALL! Additionally, they have rules and such that are quite secretive as I have yet to receive them. HOWEVER, when I do something such as increase my contribution rate, they come back with CANCELING my request citing a 60 day period for which you can not raise or lower your contribution rate AND telling me that they will apply the contribution change NEXT YEAR! No authorization from us at all. No communication from them. No requested copy of the rules and regs and such.

Additionally, with NO notice to us, we were "OPTED IN" to a robo-advisor service (with a fee) losing ALL of our investments in mutual funds and taking a substantial loss and reinvested in SCHWAB ETF's losing money for months until we hired an outside financial guru to slowly work us out of the mess and properly invest our funds. We took a huge hit. SCHWAB didn't do a thing... NOTHING. Communications ceased and we were left with a mess to fix. Now strange calculations, apparent missing funds, threats of making changes to our account with no authorization from us AND we ARE 100% vested.

OUR MONEY however SCHWAB treats it as theirs. Complaints filed with ERISA and FTC and SEC seem to disappear as it doesn't involve millions... I believe if every single customer of SCHWAB Retirement Services closely scrutinizes their accounts, it would be millions. It is a shame since we are stuck with whatever company the employer decides to use for our 401K... In this instance they chose SCHWAB. I fear the day we can actually start pulling money out based on SCHWAB's past performance with us.

Finally, the latest issue... We had open transactions selling positions. The positions were sold and due to the T+2 rule, we were waiting on the funds to settle and be deposited into the SCHWAB BANK SAVINGS. Upon looking at the transaction, it showed that we purchased 12,000 dollars of SCHWAB BANK SAVINGS at... $4.00 a unit. Should be $1.00 a unit. Any explanation from SCHWAB? ZERO. Good Luck if you get stuck with this company as they are NOT YOUR fiduciary. You must take that position yourself or simply sit back and make SCHWAB richer and richer and you take the hit. The company triple dips by charging Record Keeping fees, SCHWAB ETF fees, AND SCHWAB robo-advisor fees. That's it. Good Luck.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Having trusted my broker (and I still do), I took his advice to invest in an IRA Dividend account with Charles Schwab. The market was up over 25% over the period I invested and my portfolio was down 10%. OK - so I made an error trusting a supposedly credible Charles Schwab. What bothers me most, is the way they handled the closing of my account. After almost 50 days it still isn't transferred over some issue or another. Additionally, the gentleman I spoke to, allegedly at CS, informed me that my account is being handled by a 3rd party. Huh? There is no need to beat a dead horse on this - just beware where you place your money. Do not take anyone's advice when they drop the name CS. It's a gimmick... at least in my opinion.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I am a customer with Schwab for almost 30 years. Since about last three and half weeks, I am trying getting 2007-2008 statement for Citi Group trading statement for the litigation for the stock traded between FEB 26-2007 TO APRIL-18-2008. I had called Schwab customer service for at least 20 times! Every time hearing different answer and still I have not received any response from them. Extremely disappointed and maybe close the account with them! If thing not resolve! You can contact me @ **.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Yesterday I needed to contact Schwab because I could not log into my account. It didn't recognize my password... strange, since it was stored and automatically applied. I couldn't reset the password online and needed to call them. As a result I reset the password which worked properly. Today, once again, the Schwab site does not recognize the new password. I am not resetting once again (6th time in 1 year). Little reason to continue using this company. If this is the way they handle their IT, they are in entirely the wrong business.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I started opening my account in Charles Schwab from abroad (Germany) in November 2017, went through all the hell with voice calls to the US and a fax to the US (have you ever tried to send a fax to the US from outside of US?). When I opened an account, I warned them that I'm moving across the world and may move to another country in the next year - they said: "not a problem". Then in January of 2018, I left Germany and initiated change in my address and tax residency (by Germany law I immediately lose my German tax residency after I leave it).

I had several round-trips in emails about how to do this, got several physical mails to my old address in Germany (where my former landlord was so kind to resend mail abroad to my new address) and to my new address. Then eventually in the beginning of April 2018, they changed my address and tax residence. And then in 3 days, I got a mail that said that they decided to close my account. Really? I spent many days due to lack of service (only voice calls or fax) and several hundreds of dollars. And now they just changed their mind... Without any reasoning. Has never had a worse experience with brokers or banks.

Original review: April 26, 2018

In the last 72 hours I opened a trading account without an issue with Charles Schwab. I was ready to make a deposit from my own personal checking account into this brokerage account to start trading, then I got a notification that I had a hard inquiry on my credit from Charles Schwab. First, after my account is opened they conveniently pull my credit, without authorization and second, I in no way applied for any credit based anything with Charles Schwab. I have since asked for immediate account closure and was met by a rude customer service agent who only made excuses as to why my credit was checked. This should never happen to anyone and is fraud on so many levels. I didn't need credit from Charles Schwab nor did I apply for it in any way shape or form. This company should be prosecuted for this, as I am sure this happens to many customers.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I did a loan payoff in December, I sent on 7th overnight, they received on 8th, and processed and credited on 11th. Just did another payoff on 18th, and called over the last few days, today on 3rd day I was told it was processed and completed to where it would be credited end of business day. I still had not seen, and called only to be told it was still processing. It’s a bunch of bs, different stories everywhere. Mishandling of my money. They changed processing centers, just irritating. Would not recommend using them for your retirement account.

Charles Schwab expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Charles Schwab offers a wide range of financial services and products, including online trading for all levels of investors. The publicly-traded company was founded in 1973 and is headquartered in San Francisco. The full-service firm has offices across the country to provide investors with support for whatever type of brokerage service they have.

• Personal consultations: Customers with trading accounts can set up a free consultation with a professional broker to learn about the online trading platform or review their investing strategy. Clients can schedule a phone or online chat consultation or visit a local Charles Schwab office.

• Platform: Charles Schwab’s proprietary StreetSmart Edge® platform was designed to help online traders find investment information and make trades. Interested consumers can visit the website to view a brief demo or have a more extensive walk-through. The Charles Schwab website lists the speed at which the platform executes trades for customers who want to make trades very quickly.

• Research tools: Charles Schwab clients have access to resources to help them gain information about stocks, options and other investment assets, like a letter-grade rating based on Charles Schwab’s predictions.

• Local workshops: Some Charles Schwab offices host live workshops for those with online trade accounts with the company. Interested consumers and existing clients find information for the nearest workshop location online.

• Best for: Charles Schwab is best for self-directed investors with some prior knowledge of the stock market. It also has service for semi-involved or hands-off investors.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs