Charles Schwab & Co.
3.37/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Charles Schwab & Co.

101 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Charles Schwab & Co. Reviews

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I placed a deposit of $35.00 in my traditional Charles Schwab IRA. The deposit was placed Nov 1st 2019. Despite all my evidence (bank withdrawal on my statement from Charles Schwab reflected today Nov 4th. My Charles Schwab reflects a $35.00 dated Nov 4th 2019! I have not placed any deposit today for $35.00 yet my statement for my IRA does reflect this!!!!

I was over an hour trying to resolve my deposit not placed from Nov 1st for $35.00. A supervisor hung the phone up on me for no reason other than to resolve this problem of not placing my $35.00 contribution of my IRA. I called back soon as my phone call was rudely ended. The Charles Schwab asked? the supervisor and was told the call was disconnected. I do not accept this as the true fact, judging by how rude this supervisor? who knows at Charles Schwab for some resolution.

There are problems with my IRA. The IRA showed a deposit of $50.00. I have no idea where this figure is. I never deposited that amount. Does not matter. The account balance never increased!!!! I have no idea why Charles Schwab is creating such significant problems. I am a senior citizen trying to save for my future and retirement. I did receive monthly disability payments from Social Security.

Due to my age I am now on Social Security and not Disability. Just trying to increase savings for my future. I would suggest despite Charles Schwab GREAT reputation, maybe things have changed as demonstrated by terrible customer service and their refusal to accept the facts their calculations are WRONG!!!! Now my IRA will not reflect the contribution and my balance is less than is should be and always will!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Me and my wife opened trading accounts and a week later, after already trading stocks, our accounts were closed. When told why, the agent said that our Equifax scores weren’t good. Taking forever to get a refund of our money sent back to us in a check. I have a TD Ameritrade account with margin & highly recommend investors go with YD Ameritrade. Their service is much superior and getting a trading account with TD Ameritrade isn’t like applying for a $10,000 credit card. Charles Schwab continues to live in the dinosaur years of trading. The company is an “Indian Giver” and their customer service was a very terrible experience. If they didn’t want to give us an account, it should have been denied when applying and not in the middle of our trading shares. Unreal and extremely rude service to do that to customers. The money in our accounts was all legitimate too.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I went in to the Schwab office in The Woodlands today to talk with someone about opening a new account. It has been ten years since I had an account there. I was handed over to Tim **, who acted like I interrupted his nap, and his cavalier attitude did not help. He started off his arrogant attitude with his commenting on my grip when we shook hands of "working man hands". Something told me in his mind it was not complimentary. As a Real Estate Investor/ Financier of over thirty years looking to open an account in the mid six figures to start, I really expected a better attitude. Keep in mind it was Columbus Day and there was no one else in the lobby. Long story short, he kept pushing for me to go online and open the account to a point of my frustration of answering questions that he had already asked and I had answered, I got up and left. Is this treatment is the NEW Schwab mentality????

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Charles Schwab seemed like a Godsend at first, especially for a traveling medical student. I had recommended them religiously to everyone I met who asked anything even remotely related to travel banking. Over the last 3 days though, they have ruined their reputation with me by repeated blocking my checking card, 3 times in 3 days. I had to walk home because of them because I couldn't use my card to book an Uber and couldn't buy lunch either as a result.

Each time you HAVE to call in and wait around. The first time this happened in the middle of the night with a nefarious online ** purchase I was trying to do (just kidding... or am I??). Actually if that were the case it would make sense why they blocked my account lolz. After that it's all been downhill. They said it's because I added my card to a new iPhone as a "token" and yeah, my old iPhone was destroyed and I used my old backup phone for a few days and then switched back to my new replaced iPhone. This was especially damning because I HAD NO ** PHONE. No SIM card IN INDIA to call them and resolve this. Had to use Google voice and got lucky it went through.

The employees there were mixed. Many cared and were apologetic. Others "didn't like my tone" and disconnected with me, apparently not feeling I had the right to be FURIOUS about my card being blocked 3 times in 3 days. All in all, looking for a new bank. Doesn't matter now, I'm a broke student. But when I'm an orthopedic surgeon making $380k a year and remember this for the next 20 years, might matter a bit more then.

This was supposed to be travel friendly, turns out it's convenient right up until they totally screw you over repeatedly at the worst possible time. I would not trust these guys. If you have a financial or medical emergency or lose your phone, they may just lock your account just at the wrong time. They are pretty trigger happy with their account locking come to find out. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

We have been dealing with the loss of a family member which has created much confusion and stress. We tried to address concerns about consolidating multiple accounts and adding another member to one account to help with ensuring bills get paid during this difficult time. We continually hit roadblocks with Schwab as we tried to navigate this. We received very poor communication. Some of our questions and concerns were completely ignored and not addressed. One particular employee single handedly drove us to decide to never do business with Schwab. Again. In an age where we should be able to expect high customer service and understanding, we were treated as if we were an inconvenience. I am completely unimpressed with how Schwab does business. Very old school and not capable of adjusting to the needs of a modern banker.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charles Schwab?

Original review: July 26, 2019

Our Accounts with Schwab were closed out in March, 2017. In December, 2018 (21 months later) they arbitrarily claimed that Dodge & Cox had issued a Dividend both to our supposed to be closed Accounts with Schwab as also to our Accounts at Pershing, where they were transferred. They proceeded to usurp about $1,500.00 from these Accounts with Voya, without any proof and without our concurrence. They make the Clients pay for their incompetence and mismanagement and cannot be trusted. We have proof of this and have shared this information with anyone we know and suggested that Schwab should be avoided.

Original review: July 25, 2019

On July 25, 2019 I was trying to sell my last 100 shares of Amazon before they announced their second 2nd quarter earnings for 2019. I did not feel the numbers would be good and when I tried to sell my 100 shares close to the 4:00 P.M. close the system was down, they suggested on my PC to try again which I did and the system was still down. The numbers came out, they were down and I lost over 4,000 dollars. They would not help me in any way... They tried to say to had not clicked on the preliminary view of the order (not true, I did). This is not the first time they have done this to me. The customer is NEVER right, their ad on T.V. is NOT true, the customer NEVER comes first. I plan to post this on every social network so other people will not share this experience.

Original review: July 10, 2019

This is the first review on anything I have even done in my life. This shall tell you how upset I am. June 1st I opened the Brokerage account to take advantage of their checking account. Immediately I noticed the checking account was not coming up on my summary even though the Brokerage account did. I figured I give it a few days before checking again and made the mistake to make a small transfer to the Brokerage account. Checked again in July 5, still no account despite getting emails telling me to fund the checking account. I called and was told the account was created and that I should wait a business day for it to appear on my summary.

I checked again July 8th and still no account. I called back and I was told again to wait to the next day. Checked back today (July 9) and still nothing. I decided to close the account and reverse the transfer I had made days ago, but the account is 'restricted' and can't make outgoing transfers (how ironic). On top of that, this institution pinned my credit report TWICE with hard inquiries lowering my credit score and STILL no account or availability to withdraw the money. This is beyond ridiculous, border line comical.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I opened a checking account with Schwab when I joined the Peace Corps. Thanks to some solid advice from a returned volunteer working at NerdWallet. There are no fees for international transactions and ATM charges get refunded on a regular basis, regardless of the ATM. The APY isn't wonderful, but the customer service is. Amazon Prime recently charged me without my consent for an automatic renewal of a tv subscription on my sister's Prime account, after her own debit card didn't go through. Prime refused me a full refund over the phone, but Schwab ensured I received it. I was barely on hold before Schwab customer service was kindly and professionally connecting me to the assistance I needed. 5/5 stars for easy mobile banking, check deposits, no fees, and phenomenal service.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I became aware of an account that had been opened in my name back in April. I immediately called the customer service number and the account was closed. Fortunately, there was never any activity on the account. I asked to be sent a letter confirming that the account had been fraudulently opened and that it was now closed. This apparently is too difficult to do. I have called 4 times over the past month and still no letter. I can't speak to anyone on the fraud team as they can only receive emails from the customer service rep (per the rep). I will continue calling weekly until I get a letter for an account I never opened. I pray no one else has to go through this.

Charles Schwab expert review by Clark Kendall

Charles Schwab offers a wide range of financial services and products, including online trading for all levels of investors. The publicly-traded company was founded in 1973 and is headquartered in San Francisco. The full-service firm has offices across the country to provide investors with support for whatever type of brokerage service they have.

• Personal consultations: Customers with trading accounts can set up a free consultation with a professional broker to learn about the online trading platform or review their investing strategy. Clients can schedule a phone or online chat consultation or visit a local Charles Schwab office.

• Platform: Charles Schwab’s proprietary StreetSmart Edge® platform was designed to help online traders find investment information and make trades. Interested consumers can visit the website to view a brief demo or have a more extensive walk-through. The Charles Schwab website lists the speed at which the platform executes trades for customers who want to make trades very quickly.

• Research tools: Charles Schwab clients have access to resources to help them gain information about stocks, options and other investment assets, like a letter-grade rating based on Charles Schwab’s predictions.

• Local workshops: Some Charles Schwab offices host live workshops for those with online trade accounts with the company. Interested consumers and existing clients find information for the nearest workshop location online.

• Best for: Charles Schwab is best for self-directed investors with some prior knowledge of the stock market. It also has service for semi-involved or hands-off investors.

Profile picture of Clark Kendall
      Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Charles Schwab & Co. Company Information