2. Finance

Charles Schwab & Co.

101 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA

Charles Schwab & Co.
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.66/5

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Charles Schwab & Co. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charles Schwab & Co.?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charles Schwab?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

This company offers Stock Slices which is fractional shares in stocks. Many of these stocks are far too expensive for me to purchase on my own. However with Stock Slices I can enjoy being a stock owner while investing very little money.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Minimal fees; brokers walk me through the process how to buy and sell shares. They make recommendations. If I want additional assistance, they will do so for a charge. There is a system whereby I can have a computer generated system work for me. Many choices and easy to use online.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Charles Schwab is such an excellent company. They are innovative, their website is cutting edge, their customer support is superb. I never wait more than a minute for someone to actually pick up the phone and talk to even during the pandemic. They're very receptive to feedback in case there is a glitch and have never failed to solve any problem that I had or gotten back to me when they said they would.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I love this company. They have taken such good care of what little money I have. They are wonderful and I am Thankful to them and for them. Always helpful when I call and "bug" them. They do not mind at all. I certainly would recommend them to everyone.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I think most know that you can invest through Schwab - but I don't know that many realize you can have a checking account with Schwab - and it EARNS INTEREST rather than charging you fees! All ATM fees are reimbursed as well - no matter what ATM you use. The only drawback for some is that they don't have a lot of brick and mortar locations - so it's difficult to deposit cash - but I do all my banking online these days anyways.

Original review: April 13, 2021

They were hired to be co-trustee of our family member's living trust. Our family member died on January 4, 2021 and still have not finished the estimated taxes and closed the trust down. They never once reached out by phone or email to myself and family to keep us informed and updated except when we called and inquired/complained. I was told by the representative I spoke with for our trust that it usually takes at least 6-8 weeks to close it down. Then they said 10-12 weeks, then 3-4 months. Finally they are just saying, "in the coming weeks". They are dragging their feet. In the end, going through Probate would have possibly been quicker. I would never willingly have any trust set up or managed by Schwab ever again! Such a disappointment! Frustrating!

Original review: April 9, 2021

Already have a brokerage account and wanted to open a savings account. Long application process and uploading of documents. Waited 2 weeks and finally called after long wait on phone was told that it takes time and I would hear soon. One week later I go on chat and ask for update. I was told I had missing information and to submit whole new application! I cancelled application but am concerned about all my information on file. Waste of my time.

Original review: March 25, 2021

Terrible customer and unreliable website for trading. It took them 7 weeks to conduct a trade inquiry because of their website issues. Customer service rep called me today after repeated attempts to get a status. He was extremely rude and basically blamed me for selling the shares. So the risk was all mine and they waited 7 weeks for the stock to turn around so they can tell me you didn't lose money. Horrible experience. Moving to Merrill. Stay away from them.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I have been a customer for 8 years. Their customer service has become terrible, almost non existent. It is impossible to talk to anyone helpful or to do online chat due to long waiting times. If you do connect, they seem to be totally clueless. If you send an online message, you will never get a response. I inquired about bringing in new money to my account. Got no response at all 20 days later. You would have thought they would jump at the opportunity of a large new investment. I opened up a new Roth IRA account. 6 business days later it is still not active with no indication of why. I contacted the local CS office, & they could not help at all. Got through on chat, with the same result. "Sorry can't do anything. Just have to wait for Operations to look at it".

Original review: March 2, 2021

I opened both a Schwab checking and brokerage account in 2013. I never used the checking account feature regularly until 2019. I regret closing my Wells Fargo account and switching to this terrible company. I have had nothing but endless problems from day one, but in 2020 and now 2021, it has become inexcusably awful.

First it started with my card being randomly declined at gas stations, grocery stores, etc. for small charges despite me having more than enough in my account to cover it. Each time I reached out for support, no agents could explain to me why this was happening. It was not as if fraud was suspected. These were places in my own neighborhood that I regularly did business with. Instead they blamed their VISA batching processing system. Sure, okay. I've been banking since 1996 and never had that issue with any other debit card except this one. Any issue that comes up is blamed on the merchant or on VISA. They take zero responsibility.

When checking my balance I can never be sure what I actually have in my account because what is shown in the app does not seem to reflect what is actually available. I never know when my card will be randomly declined for no apparent reason, leaving me both embarrassed and at least twice now, nearly stranded without gas.

Starting in 2020, they no longer answered the phone. Chat is also nearly impossible to reach someone on. I have to call multiple times to be be able to reach a human, which then takes an average of 20 mins per phone call and 4-5 phone calls per issue to properly have my problem addressed. Agents say they will follow up and do not. They say they will look into your issue and do not. The mobile app is abysmal. You cannot even sort or search for specific transactions. I have never experienced anything remotely like this with any other company. This was not the experience I was expecting when I opened an account. I'm done with them. I'm tired of wasting time on the phone trying to reach a person and having so many endless issues. Bank anywhere else.

Charles Schwab author review by Clark Kendall

Charles Schwab offers a wide range of financial services and products, including online trading for all levels of investors. The publicly-traded company was founded in 1973 and is headquartered in San Francisco. The full-service firm has offices across the country to provide investors with support for whatever type of brokerage service they have.

• Personal consultations: Customers with trading accounts can set up a free consultation with a professional broker to learn about the online trading platform or review their investing strategy. Clients can schedule a phone or online chat consultation or visit a local Charles Schwab office.

• Platform: Charles Schwab’s proprietary StreetSmart Edge® platform was designed to help online traders find investment information and make trades. Interested consumers can visit the website to view a brief demo or have a more extensive walk-through. The Charles Schwab website lists the speed at which the platform executes trades for customers who want to make trades very quickly.

• Research tools: Charles Schwab clients have access to resources to help them gain information about stocks, options and other investment assets, like a letter-grade rating based on Charles Schwab’s predictions.

• Local workshops: Some Charles Schwab offices host live workshops for those with online trade accounts with the company. Interested consumers and existing clients find information for the nearest workshop location online.

by Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Charles Schwab & Co. Company Information