Charles Schwab & Co.

Charles Schwab & Co.

101 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA

3.6/5 (201 ratings)
Find an Online Brokers partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Charles Schwab & Co.

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Charles Schwab & Co. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charles Schwab & Co.?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charles Schwab?

Original review: May 18, 2022

Had a bad experience with a representative on the company on the phone. Needed to open an account to buy six figures in T bills. At the meeting was given laptop (have never used) without a mouse! Then told this was taking too long so I was left to complete the account opening myself and was told to leave the bank checks at the desk. Just left after spending twenty minutes with the branch manager was was genuinely upset at what had taken place. Doors had been locked when I was ready to leave which visibly pissed off the manager. A joke.

Original review: April 15, 2022

They tell you that they have processed your request when they have not. I recently changed places of employment and wanted to consolidate 401k in my new employer's plan. They kept telling me for over a month that they had sent the funds over to my new 401k but did not. I just got an email from them today saying they were processing it. When I had called and spoke to them they said it was already done and that the problem was with my new 401k provider. They lie and tell you what they think will get you off the phone the fastest. Would not recommend for anything. I feel that if they would lie about the processes then they would lie about anything.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2022

I have tried to get Schwab to recognize my late husband's will with a Beneficiary Designation form that is recorded and signed. They say they do not have a Beneficiary Designation reflecting his wishes and that I will need obtain a court order for them to distribute according the will and willing to provide me with the contract my husband and Schwab agreed to. I have offered to provide emails and hand written instructions to the law firm, Valensi Rose, and the signed and recorded instructions in his will. They are putting the onus on me, Jerry's widow, instead of acknowledging that perhaps they did receive it and it did not get filed properly.

As I am dealing with the death of my husband of 32 years, Schwab is proving to me they do not operate with any sensitivity or even willing to examine the many forms I have offered indicating that my husband wanted his grandsons to be beneficiaries. Now is not the time to complicate complex matters even more for me as I struggle with the loss of the love of my life. Stay away from Schwab is what I recommend. Proving to be pretty heartless. Connie

Original review: March 31, 2022

3/30/2022. It is the worst of the worst bank in the whole universe. From 2018 the bank regular staff, supervisors and local branch made non stop mistakes providing inaccurate phone customer service. I always wrote down the name of the staff I spoke to. Even today it was Kalsey who closed my account without my authorization. I asked her if mailing a cashier check balance to me would close my account? She confirmed NO. Wrong! Liar! My account was closed. That bank cannot be trusted. Be aware and do not open an account. One star is too much for that mediocre bank of my nightmares.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I have an account with Schwab- a wire was incorrectly sent and returned. It is 5 days later and Schwab still has no idea where my money is- how can you deal with an organization that operates like this? I have been ran around from day 1 when I requested the reverse the wire which they refused. I would suggest dealing elsewhere- I had to give one star since 0 was not an option.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Well, they stole over $600.00 from me and when I caught it just minutes after they did it, I was placed on hold for 45 minutes of 85 minutes it took to solve plus I have to front the money that goofball made in over drafting my account. I only have 2.4 million with them, but it is not leaving because they can't do simple math.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

I made a mistake on my CS app and complained that my 100K deposit wasn't posted. Called customer service. They put in hours called my National Account Rep who put in hours to clear it up. I put the wrong check image on the app deposit system. The help I got was outstanding by NR Kane.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

I suggest Schwab better educate their associates on transactions or provide reliable and available experts in transaction areas. I recently called the toll free number and the associate was not knowledgeable about a transaction to transfer funds into my Schwab account. I was put on a 10 minute hold, where I'm sure they asked someone else what I was talking about, and my answer was: "I'll send you the form." They couldn't explain the procedure and why I needed a blank form that Schwab was supposed to execute and send. I was transferred to what I assume was a "more knowledgeable" person who had no idea and put me on a half hour hold. At this point, I knew I was being passed on not to answer my question, but to get rid of the call. Finally, I wised up and called the Schwab office in my hometown. They knew exactly what the procedure was, promptly executed the form and forwarded it to the third party to complete the transaction.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Trades have no or small fees. You can build your own portfolio or use a advisor and let them do all the work for you based on your final goals. Financial advice and explanations of what different investments types are all easily located with the web site tools as well as research reports on companies or investment funds. It is easy to complete transactions yourself and when you need assistance they are only a call away and very polite and helpful. Security is also a high priority.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I recently deposited a 401k roll over check into my account. My account was suddenly suspended for suspected fraud!!! They’re holding on to MY money!! I chose to do business with them because of the excellent reviews I’ve read but my experience hasn’t been so pleasant. I don’t know why they’re still holding on to MY MONEY and giving me the runaround. Be warned!

Charles Schwab author review by Sandy Baker

Charles Schwab offers a wide range of financial services and products, including online trading for all levels of investors. The publicly-traded company was founded in 1973 and is headquartered in San Francisco. The full-service firm has offices across the country to provide investors with support for whatever type of brokerage service they have.

• Personal consultations: Customers with trading accounts can set up a free consultation with a professional broker to learn about the online trading platform or review their investing strategy. Clients can schedule a phone or online chat consultation or visit a local Charles Schwab office.

• Platform: Charles Schwab’s proprietary StreetSmart Edge® platform was designed to help online traders find investment information and make trades. Interested consumers can visit the website to view a brief demo or have a more extensive walk-through. The Charles Schwab website lists the speed at which the platform executes trades for customers who want to make trades very quickly.

• Research tools: Charles Schwab clients have access to resources to help them gain information about stocks, options and other investment assets, like a letter-grade rating based on Charles Schwab’s predictions.

• Local workshops: Some Charles Schwab offices host live workshops for those with online trade accounts with the company. Interested consumers and existing clients find information for the nearest workshop location online.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

Charles Schwab & Co. Company Information