2. Finance

Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Looking for a financial advisor?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a financial advisor?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Fidelity Investments Reviews

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Fido has local office. If something goes wrong, I can get into the car and drive 6.1 miles to get it fixed. Fido has an easy-to-use website. I can see my balance on any given day. I can move money around easily. Fido has low fees. My total AUM fee is 0.23%. My Fido rep is friendly and not pushy. But, also does not tell me anything I don't already know.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

You first must have an investment account. Keeping your retirement there helps. After that, taking advantage of their online banking features is easy. And the account can earn many times the interest of your other bank account.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I have been pleased thus far with my experience with Fidelity. I opened a brokerage account in February, and recently opened a cash management account and awaiting rollover of traditional IRA. The only minor problem experienced with the cash management account were the 4-7 day delays in making deposits from my former bank account into the CM account.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I attempted to complete a joint brokerage application, relatively straightforward and easy, UNTIL I went to submit the application and received a "SYSTEM ERROR....try again later", tried several times after that. So, I've been trying for hours!! Called the "help" number provided on the error message, oh, did I say "help" or should be "Helpless Number". Spoke to a customer service rep who was useless, knew nothing and transferred me to another department for technical help. Instead of resolving the issue which does still exist (I just tried again...), he said he was going to email me the same application that I completed online, to complete and mail back to them. LET'S FIX THE PROBLEM!!! This is suppose to be done online!!!!

If this is the kind of service that you as a customer want, by all means give Fidelity your business. Don't say that you weren't warned. By the way, I spent 20 minutes on hold before talking to the first customer service person, another 8 minutes before the technical person came on the phone, and I never received the application that he was "suppose to" email me to manually complete and submit by mail. I called back to speak with a manager, and I must be too much of a peon for someone with any significance to speak with, because after 15 more minutes of waiting, no manager ever showed up. FORTUNATELY, I never did get my account set up, and will take my business elsewhere, AGAIN, let this be a WARNING!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Fidelity admits their system was not taking sell to close orders Friday Morning January 17 2020. Fidelity's trade system rejected every order with an error message telling me that I did not have the options contracts that I was trying to sell. I had to call to put in the orders, but had to wait on hold on a time sensitive trade. A delay of more than 20 minutes left me with a selling price of half the amount that I would have gotten if their system did not reject all sell to close orders during the first half hour of the day. Fidelity customer service could even see that I tried many times to place an order. The supervisor I spoke with said if the amount I initially entered was at the bid then they would try to help, but because the initial amount of my sell order, prior to preview, showed between the bid and the ask price, they are saying they cannot help me or make things right. This is not correct to use as a basis for not helping.

Since their system did not even allow to me to see the preview Page, I could not then make adjustments to my sell price to put it at the bid. Their system problem is the cause for my not adjusting the sell price. Since the system malfunctions sent out error message telling me I was trying to sell something I did not have in my accounts, that caused me to have to go look to see if something changed in my account. My concern now was making sure the contracts were still in my account, and then starting the sell order process again only to find the same system error reoccurring in all 3 accounts I was attempting to make immediate trades. Since I never got to the preview the order page, I never was able to make an adjustment to the sell order price. So to make this as their excuse for not helping, as I stated is incorrect and truly unfair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

My father had a traditional IRA when he passed away in Mexico where he had been living after retirement. He had assigned several of us as beneficiaries to avoid the money going through his estate. Fidelity's website under the reason to assign beneficiaries is to do exactly that-avoid going through an estate. Fidelity is demanding we either supply them with IRS 5173 or a letter from the IRS stating it is not needed. Under the instructions for form 5173 it states that it applies only to estates. This comes from what they call the "back room." They must be either unable to read or comprehend what they read or in this case also what they wrote. I have had my own IRA with them for about 40 years which has done well. I am however considering a change.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I want to move my pension and since August 2019 I have yet to get this resolved. Today is January 2020. I have been told so many lies and every time I call I get a different person with a different answer. See the following excuses.

Wrong address:, but I have received mail from them so I know that answer was wrong.
      First/last name spelled wrong. Same answer as above.
      Wrong SS number. Same as above.

Dates when I should my check but never a received it.

Ask for a call back but rarely receive one. Thank You.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

After signing up for a trial account to check out their site and products, there were problems out of the gate. OK, I get it that nothing is perfect. Called into their customer service number to bring it to their attention along with learning what I may have done wrong. The first CS rep was a nightmare with the being incompetent and, riddled me with 'can't do this and, we can't do that and, I'm sorry, I'm sorry....etc.' When asking him if his supervisor ever told him to contact him when there are issues above his head, he hung up on me??

Called back to report him to a supervisor and he was even worse (if that's possible). This supervisor had the attitude that all this will go away by sweeping it under the carpet. End of story. He assured me that customers will never be able to get beyond the 1st level supervisors to escalate any problems (cant make this stuff up) and, they will not call or follow up on any issues to let you know it wasn't swept under the carpet at least they are open and consistent. When I mentioned I wasn't happy about their policies, I got "Im sorry you feel that way".....

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I have been waiting over 2 weeks for them to find my lump sum pension that was to be rolled over to my IRA. I have spoken to numerous people and it has been a series of errors with no one being able to tell me where my money is. As soon as I have my money, I will be moving my nest egg to another investment company due to their lack of professionalism and how they have handled this. DO NOT PUT YOUR MONEY HERE.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I was trying to consolidate two 401(k) accounts. I wanted to move the one out of Fidelity to the Charles Schwab. The virtual assistant could neither help me find the forms nor provide me with an alternative method of contacting Fidelity over the weekend. Fidelity customer service is not open on the weekend. Nor could I find a means to send a confidential email within my existing account to have a person get back to me with the information. It appears that Fidelity implemented a virtual assistant that cannot assist very well. If it were human, I presume it would have never been hired.

Not sure about Fidelity Investments?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right financial advisor for you.

Fidelity expert review by Clark Kendall

Fidelity Investments is a privately-held full-service financial firm that offers an extensive range of investment options, including online trading, retirement accounts, IRAs, mutual funds, life insurance and more. The company has been in business since 1946 and now serves more than 25 million individual investors. It is headquartered in Boston with locations across the United States.

• Branch locations: Fidelity has nearly 200 branch location across the United States. Investors who want the option to trade online as well as get in-person help from a professional will appreciate this option.

• International trading: Fidelity clients can trade on the stock exchanges in 20 countries, including Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and the United Kingdom. Investors can choose to purchase or cash out stocks in U.S. dollars or the foreign country’s currency.

• Research trial: Account holders at Fidelity have free access to several research tools. They can learn about stocks, EFTs and other investments as well as set up watch alerts. Interested customers can sign up for a free 30-day trial to see whether they find the tools convenient and easy to use.

• Managed accounts: Investors who prefer a hands-off approach can set up a managed account with Fidelity. The company offers five different managed account types with a $5,000 minimum investment.

• Protection Guarantee: Consumers can feel secure with a Fidelity account. The company’s Protection Guarantee ensures that clients are covered if an unauthorized individual makes changes to their account. For full terms and details, visit the Fidelity website.

• Best for: Fidelity Investment has tools that make it a good choice for all types of investors; its online trading features are best for self-directed investors.

by Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Fidelity Investments Company Information