Fidelity Investments
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Fidelity Investments

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 2, 2017

349 Fidelity Investments Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

My reason for the review is that this company has taken my life saving. I hope they are living well on my money, because they sure thought that I didn't need it to live on when I retire. The company that worked for was bought by another company, and Fidelity was the 401 retirement company that was their retirement firm. Story made short, which everyone knows in this forum. They stalled and stalled, run around after run around, call after call I made they would not or could not find my funds. So they got my retirement money, and they’re sorry. Like I said, hope they live well on my money. Because they sure felt that I didn't need it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Similar to other accounts, we have failed to retrieve our father's and mother's retirement account valued at about 20k. Their divorce apparently made it more complex, but it is their money and both are trying to retrieve what they agreed to in the amicable settlement. A law firm has attempted to retrieve the money but has failed after three repeated events. This after they claim to have spent hours with Fidelity trying to figure out exactly they want to release the funds. I am at a loss to what to do. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who encountered a similar issue, although it I'm not exactly clear how to do that without violating the user guidelines. Thank you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Very very polite, firmly noninformative, the website states they will give advice and information but I was not even told about some of the products until I decided to pull out. The person gave more information that time. There is actually a plan where they will manage your investments, mostly they will send a link with some vague information, once I got incorrect info on CDs. (Only incorrect by a small amount though). Mostly they didn't seem to care what I did or if I accomplished anything, just being very very polite on the phone. Politeness is appreciated though really.

So my money just sat there without being invested for a few years - I called half a dozen times trying to invest though. Once there was a survey asking if anyone "took charge" for me or something like that. Hm easy job - just be polite and don't give out any actual info. This company is probably a better for someone who has actually studied investments and knows a lot about it, as opposed to someone who wants to learn but have some guidance and info. SORT of got a little info on retirement once but not enough to commit. Overall vague, nebulous, indistinct, very very polite. Did not feel very welcomed or secure in an investment or anything- (not in a bad way though). Just polite and vague.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I've been with Fidelity since the 1980s and have never had a problem transferring money to and from my various checking accounts. I do not have a pension administered by Fidelity. Security tip: I would not have a checking account tied to one's account at Fidelity, because anyone can read your check's routing and account number at the bottom of your check, then have their own checks made using your routing and account number.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

This company should pay you to make a trade. This is by far the worst brokerage of any company in the U.S. Their computers are ancient and can't do simple math. I asked them to do a wire transfer and it took them three days to do it and then they did it twice. No one can answer a question without leaving you on hold for 5 or 10 minutes. Any question will baffle their customer service. A very bad company to do business with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Although they have the best list of secondary offerings in "fixed income" they have the absolute worst customer service online. For example, this past weekend, while doing maintenance on their site, following the Equifax hacking, they posted Balances $0.00 for all accounts, rather than, "Information unavailable due to maintenance on site." They did not disclose the maintenance during the days prior to it. When I called in a panic after seeing that my accounts had been "presumably emptied, was told..."We get a million of these calls each time we do maintenance." I answered, "So why not change it so less people are upset?" and got no answer. This is not the first time they've had horrible bugs or messages in their system. The last one I reported (a Fitch downgrade on a matured c.d.) it took 2 years (approximately) for them to fix their system. Wonder how long it will take this time?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

In trying to deal with my mothers IRA through Fidelity, I have spent two months phoning them, always speaking to a different "Representative", always being promised that I would receive a callback, and information in the mail. Of course, I have never received a callback except from the first representative, to give me a "Case Number". The other 4 people I have spoken to, and only when I call, have promised left and right to send me information in the mail, forms to fill out, documentation requirements etc.

To date, I have received nothing from Fidelity. Not one piece of mail, no information whatsoever. After calling again today, and speaking with yet another phone-clown, I was informed that they have almost completed opening an account in my name, after which we can proceed. Wait... What? What account? I never asked for an account to be opened. Moreover, I have never authorized an account to be opened, and have signed nothing agreeing to an account being opened by this group. (Wonder if they are associated with Wells Fargo at this point).

The CSR's that I spoke with today, said that the only information that I may get, is a letter informing me that my account has been opened. The second CSR offered to give me the phone number for the account holders division so that I could get another runaround from them. Beyond that, yesterday I received a customer satisfaction survey request from Fidelity about my phone contacts. Of course, like everything else with this fraudulent company, the survey is designed from the beginning to ONLY survey those who are happy with the service... Click the link in the email, and the first question presented is: "Did a Survivor Services Case Manager recently assist you with your benefits?" I clicked "No", since I have yet to receive any assistance. At which point, I'm told that I am not eligible for the survey. DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH THIS GROUP.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I have worked at a Hospital in Alabama for over 25yrs. I've used their 401k program through Fidelity. I was able to transfer MY money to a tradable IRA, then started to day trade with MY money. I kept questioning them about the settlement dates being a day off. From what I could see on their web site and the app they provide. After calling numerous reps, they all told me the settlement dates on their end were always 1 day behind what their customers could see. This leads to unfair penalties, not to mention what happens to my money during that 24hrs? It's in limbo. They say they can liquidate anyone's account without reason. They won't talk to me. All they say is you are welcome to withdraw your money and place it elsewhere. But while still an employee at the hospital, I can't use my brokerage link to buy anymore stocks. Or any funds mutual or any funds. I can still contribute to my 401k. But it goes into bonds. Can anyone help me?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I decided that I would take advantage of using Fidelity's Fee-based Management of my 401k retirement since I did not have the time or expertise to optimize the returns on my investment. The promise from Fidelity was that if I paid them to manage my 401K plan, their team of investment experts would select the proper investments in my account to ensure a satisfactory return on my investment. I just want everyone to know who is considering using Fidelity Investments to manage their 401K plans and pay for that service should reconsider.

My Return on Investment (ROI) has been very poor (my CDs earn more), but I just found out that my return for the year ending in July 2017 during a skyrocketing bull stock market was a loss! Not too big of a loss, but nevertheless inexcusable! This is a disgrace to Fidelity and I hope you consider anyone over trying to get any useful returns from Fidelity 401K fund managers. This is a paid service that I had expected much more of. So heed my warning and try some other company.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

These were 2 events. The 1st complaint revolves around the creation of a self-directed profit sharing plan for my company. As it turned out, Fidelity's expert did not know how to complete their own paperwork correctly causing a 20 delay in funding an investment that cost me the better part of $12,000. I sucked it up and accepted their apologies for that one.

The 2nd more recent failure involved a trust and substantial sum. I had good reason to believe the account had been compromised and spent the better part of 3 hours in one of their centers, filling out the paperwork as instructed by their "expert". After 10 days with no access to even verify balances (and several calls on my part to check status), a letter arrives telling me my power of attorney in invalid. As the letter gave an indication of the issue, I talk to 3 other reps, get 3 other stories on how to fix the issue. I made no bones about how I felt on the caliber of their service. Seems that got me forwarded to their hammer. It was his job to tell me how they would do their job and how I would address them... I assure you that didn't go well. All I can say about Fidelity is that I wouldn't trust them with a dead battery.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

My mother passed away a couple years ago. We inherited about 20,000 dollars. Six month ago the paperwork was filed. Fidelity has run us through the gauntlet in order for them to be able to release my mother's money to us. It is not Fidelity's money. It is our money. The entire operation should have taken 4 weeks tops. It has taken 6 entire months and now going on 7 months for them to put our money in our account. The Customer service is horrible. The wait times are long enough that we wonder if Fidelity even has any money at all.

I have been doing some research the last few months. We have been Google searching terms like "Fidelity Investments Scam" or Fidelity Investments Crooked or Fidelity Investments Bankrupt". Every time we search we find strong evidence of malfeasance that is compelling enough to make us believe that Fidelity Investments should be reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission. Here is the SEC link to report any dishonorable behavior that Fidelity exhibits: https://www.sec.gov/complaint/tipscomplaint.shtml. This company is very bad news and lacking in ethics from top to bottom.

In all of my years of both working at banks and of working in conjunction with large mortgage banks the only other bank that we have ever seen pull these kinds of shenanigans was a now defunct company called "Conseco Finance aka Green Tree". Conseco cooked the books and ran off with their stockholders money. If you have your money tied up with Fidelity it is my strongest advice as a former money manager and credit manager that you pursue due diligence in trying to retrieve your money before it is too late. Something is in the air and it doesn't feel right. It should not take a bank that manages billions in retirement 6 months to try to come up with 20k. Also billion dollars banks don't write hot checks and there is evidence of this based on other consumeraffairs reviews.

If you work at Fidelity and you know that something is wrong and if you know that the law is being broken then it is your Duty as a patriotic US Citizen to do the right thing and become a whistleblower. There is even a neat monetary reward system for whistleblowers in the financial sectors of this country. Fidelity's days are very probably numbered. If you think the Wells Fargo incident was bad just wait until we see what comes oozing out from under the Rock that Fidelity Investments is hiding under. This is a 100% true review by someone who believes that you win more flies with honey than with vinegar. Something stinks in Suburbia. Follow your instincts!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I was divorced in April and still have not had Fidelity approve the court order for the pension payments from my ex-husband's pension. I am now on third attempt of filing the papers to get my money. They act as if it is their money, they will not provide any information not only to me but, my lawyer's office can't get them to provide the proper information. It is as if they are protecting a matter of national security and if they told me they would have to kill me. In meantime I have not had any money paid to me since Nov. 2016.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I am surprised by SO MANY negative reviews regarding Fidelity, but from reading them, they seem very well deserved. My story is very different... I was a Committed & Dedicated LONG TERM Customer of Fidelity for OVER 15+ years, and the longest time, satisfied with the service. One day while trying to check my accounts I could not log in. I thought it was a computer glitch so tried again the next day, day after that, the following week, week after that, etc. Finally I contacted Customer Service who said "my account was blocked", INSISTED that I had a "virus on my computer", and that I'd need to get my "computer repaired" and send Fidelity the receipt. I told Fidelity over & over again that I'm a computer professional, WORK for a computer company, and not only do I often format my computer, it HAS NO VIRUSes.

I also asked Fidelity, "which computer, my own, or from work, or an internet cafe, and on what date, and time". They have no answers to anything but kept on insisting that I'd "need to get a receipt" to verify that I "got my computer repaired". I escalated this completely bizarre & ridiculous to Management at Fidelity who essentially kept insisting the same thing. I started thinking that if Fidelity is seriously so STUPID, does not understand technology nor how it works, and treats LONG TERM customers with so much disrespect and strange ridiculousness, that Fidelity NO LONGER deserves my business or patronage. I initiated a Rollover IRA to another Investment company, never looked back until now ONLY to write this, and will forever HATE Fidelity. To all of you, who HATE Fidelity, Rollover IRAs are usually relatively painless to complete. THANKS!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I specifically opened an account with Fidelity to be able to buy a specific stock which some brokers refuse to trade as "buyer beware"... I called first to be sure that I would be able to trade the stock with Fidelity if I opened an account. I jumped through all of the hoops and had the money wired to speed up the process to only be blocked when I attempted to make the trade... I am furious!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Beware this awful, lying underhanded company!!! I am a disable military retiree who recently began working with a company partnered with Fidelity Investments (to provide their insurance). I told them from the beginning that I have insurance through the military. And when a short time later they pressured me again and told me they had automatically sign me up for it, I immediately call them to tell them that I don't want it and that I am not interested. A short time later I noticed that I was having money taken out of my pay check going to Fidelity.

And then when the prescription medicines I need for my disability suddenly came with a huge charge (that had NEVER been there in the past), the prescription company said that my new insurance with Fidelity didn't pay it later me the military company, and that they were forced to use them since Fidelity had gone behind my back and told the company that they were my insurance even though I told them flat out that I DIDN'T want them. Well, when I called them today to discuss this they told me that it's too late to cancel the insurance (that I said from day one that I didn't want) and that I was stuck with them until 2018 when I could un-enroll at that time. And when I said what if I didn't pay for the insurance, they said I didn't have a choice and that they would just continue to take it out of my check without my permission.

Again, I am already insured through my military retirement! So now I'm stuck paying every pay check for something I don't want or need and now I'm forced to shell out a lot of money for prescriptions for combat related disabilities that had been provided for free with my other insurance that now I'm either forced to pay for or just to go without. Well I guess I'm stuck in this very bad situation until 2018, but if they think I'm just going to roll over and take it, then Fidelity doesn't know me! I'm going to make sure that EVERYONE I can tell is warned about this DISHONEST sneaky underhanded company (Fidelity) using every source I can find (print and social media) and word of mouth. No one who knows me would ever call me a mean spirited or petty (or even a complainer), but I think Fidelity needs to learn not to mess with U.S. combat veterans and military retirees!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I have had a Fidelity account for 13 years. The firm I work for contributes to it and I can't move any until I retire. I'm able to select only certain funds for my 401K. I contribute an amount each 2 week pay period. I have made no changes this year. If I look at the YTD performance of each fund I have money in, they show anywhere from 5% to 16% performance, most above 10%. Interestingly, my overall fund growth rate is barely 5%. Something's rotten in the state of Fidelity. I think they falsely portray fund performance. Anybody else with that opinion?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I went online to open an account with Fidelity. Their website was not responding to some of my inputs/ information. I called and spoke with one of their specialists. He was really informative and helped create the opening of the account. I tried to fund in online, but it would not accept my banking information. The specialist advised to go to one of their local branches and the issue would be handled. I did exactly that. At the branch, the associate said I did not include the suffix "II", since I am the second.

Long story short, a name change form would need to be completed along with a marriage certificate show I am the "II". I was told a driver's license would not do!!! What??? The process would take perhaps 2 weeks! I explained that on their website there was not a location to put a suffix when creating an account. This company lacks simplicity and common sense. I suppose they did not want my business. Once upon a time $100,000 meant something. T Rowe Price (or another investment company, NOT Fidelity) here I come.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

For everyone doing business with Fidelity I suggest you take your money to someone reputable. My husband and I had decided to invest his retirement and 401k with Fidelity. This was in 1998. By the year 2000 we had no money and they had no explanation. We went into shock and a depression that we had never experienced. After I came to my senses I started doing research. I do not think my husband ever recovered mentally or physically. I talked with attorneys from Washington and Texas. They all assured me that there was no way that we lost that amount of money even if the market crashed. We even set the account up so the only one who had access to the account was my husband. I wanted it that way. If he needed to withdraw he had to write a letter explaining what he wanted the money for, GO to Fidelity in person, show his ID and get the letter certified by Fidelity.

Well obviously that policy didn't exist. He wrote 3 letters for 20,000 each and had the taxes withheld. So within a year and a half we had no money and most importantly there were NO LETTERS for the missing money and Fidelity said we lost all of our money in the market. They then had the nerve to say my husband withdrew the money, again NO LETTERS, and just spent the money and didn't tell me. If he had done that we would not have been homeless and sleeping in our car. It's funny when you are in that situation you don't want anyone to know but they do and close their eyes and pretend nothing is wrong. Sticking their head in the sand and I guess that is the way they avoid the situation. I talked to attorneys and in the end they did not want to help. I had every piece of paperwork from Fidelity. In fact two copies and THREE LETTERS for the 3 withdrawals my husband had withdrawn.

I went to Fidelity on numerous occasions and they would not even talk to me. By now my husband had cancer and all he worried about was me and how I would survive. I kept trying to get someone to right this wrong but it never happened. It's kind of amazing that everything we went through we never fought or blamed each other and we never felt guilty because we knew the truth. My husband passed away and I have survived. Losing him is the hardest thing I have ever gone through. I just never understood how Fidelity was allowed to get away with this and never had to explain anything to anyone. For some reason I can't get past this and I probably never will. It's not so much about the money as it is justice. Again my advice to you is get out while can. I hope this helps someone because help never came for us.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Almost 2 months ago I sent a check for the money to be deposited into my son college fund (a large amount). I never heard from them, today I called and as per the representative on the other side of the line, the check was returned to me via Regular mail, however, the check never reach my home. I questioned him why Fidelity Investments could not sent it via FedEx or a least Certify Mail (no answer). I am extremely disappointed and uncertain how I will be able to made the institution who issue the check to replace it. They proof to be unprofessional.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Fidelity Investments the most unprofessional, incompetent bank known to man, and that is an understatement. I have had the worst experience ever possible with this bank. This wanna be investment source is the wrong decision for anyone to make, of which I believe this bank may be run by a disobedient child!

Original review: July 12, 2017

FIDELITY INVESTMENTS IS GARBAGE. I separated from my company the last week of May, it is June 12th and I STILL DON'T HAVE MY MONEY. Customer service is a joke, they are mentally challenged simpletons who don't have any answers, they take your number and never return a call. It's ok. I'm sure my medical, mortgage and auto financiers understand... NOT. You all are complete garbage and I hope god DOESN'T have mercy on your souls!

Original review: July 11, 2017

On June 9th it was confirmed that my lump sum pension payout from my Kimberly-Clark employer sponsored retirement account would be direct deposited into my bank account on July 1st. By July 3rd, there was still no deposit. I called Fidelity Investments on July 3rd and was told that there were data transmission issues and the new date for my pension lump some direct deposit would be July 21st. I was supposed to have received confirmation of the new transfer day via email and my online benefits account.

As of today, July 11th, I had heard nothing and called Fidelity Investments again to ensure that I would receive on July 21st. I was told by the representative that the new date is July 24th and that the representative on July 3rd must have given me a wrong date. I asked for this information to be emailed to me and he said he cannot send emails, but he would ask for a letter to be mailed. I was told in June that Kimberly-Clark would be distributing the money to Fidelity Investments on June 20th ensuring my pension payout on July 1st. So Fidelity has been using my pension funds to make money while I am losing money everyday as I have not been able to invest this money. I find this outrageous and criminal. I am flabbergasted that Fidelity is allowed to mishandle pensions and retirement funds... peoples livelihoods.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Fidelity magically deemed my account to be a security risk, wouldn't tell me why, and then insisted on my sending them two forms of identification... by FAX!!!! Who the F has a fax machine? And, why wouldn't Fidelity tell me about why my account was a security risk? I will be transferring all money out of Fidelity immediately upon gaining access. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND FIDELITY TO ANYONE, THEY ARE THE MOST CONDESCENDING COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Just got the complete runaround on one of my investments. They "made a business decision" to take my mother off the account in accordance with their customer agreement. They told me it would take effect on June 17th. They sent the letter on June 17th. When I called to inquire why - I couldn't get a straight answer. It was done and it couldn't be fixed. Now we will be moving that account. I will look into moving ALL of my personal investments as well. This is terrible customer service! Shame on them! DO NOT USE THEM FOR YOUR INVESTMENT SERVICES!

Original review: July 5, 2017

I called on 26th of June to get my withdrawal of my account due to separate with my company and since then till now all I hear is "Today. Tomorrow you will get a tracking number for your check." I asked to speak to a manager. She was useful. Her name is Nicole. I spoke to another manager and have no idea what is he spoken about every time is different story.

I basically called them for 12 days straight I'm still calling to get a tracking number on the check and every time I call they said "Within two hours we'll call you back," "I will call you tomorrow" and when I called back it's the same story over and over again. I said "I will do bad reviews online and I will get my lawyer to call you," and they said "Do what's the best for you." So disappointed. I even make my 401(k) as zero and they kind of making me just to leave my job to take the rest of my money out. When I called today 7/5 and I asked for a manager they said I need to put a request and it will take 24 to 48 hours.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Northrop Grumman recently contracted Fidelity to handle their pension administration. My power of attorney was approved by the previous administrator but Fidelity, after assuring me that they would be receiving records from the past administrator, would now need me to send via US Mail or UPS only my power attorney. They received the POA but now insist on having my date of birth and SS number although I am not the pension holder. I asked to speak with a supervisor or someone in their legal department but was denied that request. I called someone in Northrop Grumman's local HR department and explained my situation to her. A "supervisor" (who turned out to be a mere customer representative) called me offering no solution to be able to correspond with Fidelity regarding my uncle's pension account.

I provided my birth date, last four numbers of my SS number and copy of my driver license and was told by a Fidelity manager to go to the local Fidelity office, present them with my photo ID so that they could verify and she would put me into their system. I called the local office and was told that was not true and they needed my SS number. I clarified that without this information I could not correspond with Fidelity regarding my uncle and that was confirmed. I then asked if I could notify Fidelity of his passing and they said I could. The message here is that if it is financially advantageous to Fidelity (i.e. discontinue paying a pension) they will accommodate me but if it is not (i.e. paying on a life insurance policy) they will not. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing at Fidelity and I refuse to provide information that could be used to steal my identity to a company like that.

Original review: June 26, 2017

Fidelity Investments says that they closed my account even though I have an active account number with them with PAID FOR SHARES IN IT. They will not allow me access to my account and even see the progress of the shares I paid for. Later in the month when I added a margin account they gave me a deadline of April 27th by 4 pm to send in monies. I WIRED THE MONIES THE MORNING OF THE 27TH OF APRIL and they had already closed my account that very morning. SEC and FINRA says the worse a company can do is to FREEZE an account for 90 days... not close it. Had they done this the $8,575 I wired in the morning of the 27th would have been received and I would have collected a $3800 profit. Instead Fidelity liquidated my 269 shares... CLOSED MY ACCOUNT EVEN THOUGH I HAD PAID FOR SHARES IN IT (this is illegal) and then stole my profit of $3800.

Original review: June 13, 2017

On May 18 I called Fidelity to withdraw the funds from my retirement account (it was an employer sponsored retirement account). I live in Thailand and to my surprise I was told that Fidelity would not/could not wire the funds to my account in Thailand. They said all they could do was send me a check. I queried this because if they sent a check I would then need to deposit this into my Thai bank account and have it sent back to the US for collection. Unfortunately Fidelity refused to wire the funds.

On June 5 I called Fidelity again as I had not received my check. The Customer Service Associate (on a recorded line) advised me that the check had been sent by "regular US mail". I was amazed by this as my address on file clearly showed that I live in Thailand. I asked the Associate how they expected the check to arrive in Thailand and he didn't know.

I again requested that the funds be wired to me because of the delays and I was again told that Fidelity would not/could not do this. I escalated this to a supervisor who reiterated this and advised that a replacement check could be sent by Express Mail but he didn't know how long that would take. He promised to call me back the next day (June 6) with the details. He didn't call me back until June 8 and confirmed that the check would be delivered by UPS on June 12 (yesterday).

The check still hasn't arrived, nearly one month after I made the withdrawal. Even when I do receive the check I will then have to wait around three weeks for the proceeds of the check to be collected. It is therefore likely that I will have had to wait between 6 and 8 weeks to get my funds - when a wire transfer would have taken two days. This service is totally unacceptable and I will be submitting a claim for restitution once the funds are finally credited to my account. This will be based on the different exchange rates and also the loss of investment opportunity which was the reason for my withdrawal in the first place.

Original review: June 11, 2017

Have had for several years and massive problems doing the simplest things. It took multiple calls to even set up an online account. They were very apologetic but I kept being placed on hold and they finally asked me to visit a physical office (2 hours away). For the 4th year in a row I have had to go through hoops just to get a statement. I need to move my accounts somewhere else.

Original review: June 8, 2017

Fidelity launched a new service to allow Health Expense Claims to be paid directly from a Fidelity HSA account. HealthExpense has NO tech. support & horrible customer service. My insurance accounts won't link, preventing me from using my HSA account to pay medical bills. They have told me - repeatedly - it's an engineering fix expected over the weekend... for 4 months this has been their same excuse!!! FRUSTRATED BEYOND BELIEF. Since Fidelity won't reimburse me directly if I pay out of pocket, I'm basically adding money to an account I'll never be able to use. I will be transferring this account as soon as I'm eligible to do so.

Fidelity expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Fidelity Investments is a privately-held full-service financial firm that offers an extensive range of investment options, including online trading, retirement accounts, IRAs, mutual funds, life insurance and more. The company has been in business since 1946 and now serves more than 25 million individual investors. It is headquartered in Boston with locations across the United States.

• Branch locations: Fidelity has nearly 200 branch location across the United States. Investors who want the option to trade online as well as get in-person help from a professional will appreciate this option.

• International trading: Fidelity clients can trade on the stock exchanges in 20 countries, including Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and the United Kingdom. Investors can choose to purchase or cash out stocks in U.S. dollars or the foreign country’s currency.

• Research trial: Account holders at Fidelity have free access to several research tools. They can learn about stocks, EFTs and other investments as well as set up watch alerts. Interested customers can sign up for a free 30-day trial to see whether they find the tools convenient and easy to use.

• Managed accounts: Investors who prefer a hands-off approach can set up a managed account with Fidelity. The company offers five different managed account types with a $5,000 minimum investment.

• Protection Guarantee: Consumers can feel secure with a Fidelity account. The company’s Protection Guarantee ensures that clients are covered if an unauthorized individual makes changes to their account. For full terms and details, visit the Fidelity website.

• Best for: Fidelity Investment has tools that make it a good choice for all types of investors; its online trading features are best for self-directed investors.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs