2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

Fidelity Investments Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity Investments?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Fido has local office. If something goes wrong, I can get into the car and drive 6.1 miles to get it fixed. Fido has an easy-to-use website. I can see my balance on any given day. I can move money around easily. Fido has low fees. My total AUM fee is 0.23%. My Fido rep is friendly and not pushy. But, also does not tell me anything I don't already know.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

You first must have an investment account. Keeping your retirement there helps. After that, taking advantage of their online banking features is easy. And the account can earn many times the interest of your other bank account.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I have been pleased thus far with my experience with Fidelity. I opened a brokerage account in February, and recently opened a cash management account and awaiting rollover of traditional IRA. The only minor problem experienced with the cash management account were the 4-7 day delays in making deposits from my former bank account into the CM account.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Never do online transactions. If anything goes wrong that's the first thing they say, you didn't call in to do the transaction. They take no responsibility. Don't pay express mail, you don't get what you pay for. They say 2-3 days and it cost 25 dollars, try 5 days if you're lucky. When you say you paid for express mail their reply is, you're still getting it fast than normal. Also, they sent me a bad tracking number for ups and they sent it by us mail.

Original review: May 9, 2020

Fidelity is by far one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with. I can't complain or comment about the customer service as I did not receive any. Recent phone call holds of 44 & 29 minutes are exasperating. Not to mention email replies 14 days later are just plain inexcusable. Then, and I love this part, they send me a survey asking me about my experience "hoping" that it was enjoyable. Really? How this company is still in business boggles my mind. If you're considering doing business with Fidelity, please do your due diligence and choose wisely. Remember, all of us have choices in the marketplace. Good luck out there!

Original review: April 8, 2020

I was a Managed Account customer for 3 years. Paid $49k in commissions. I gave Fidelity instructions to liquidate my account 14 hours prior to the market opening on a Tuesday. Fidelity dithered around and didn't get the sale completed notwithstanding 14 hours advance notice plus an additional 6.5 hours of trading time that day. Their delay cost me $62k when they finally got around to selling. I suspect that Fidelity has internal guidelines for their managed accounts that they don't make trades until their reps speak to the customer to try and change their mind. Fidelity working for their interests, not the interests of their customers!!!

Original review: March 31, 2020

New investor, credible firm, What could go wrong? Put money in, made a few investments and overall excited. Within a month, locked out of the account and un-invited which means I cannot use their service anymore. No violations, but according to the rep, which took literally hours to navigate, told me that the account had suspicious activity. Suspicious, do tell because I am now worried. Can't verify the origin of the funding. Well, no problem, it is my bank. No good, still un-invited. Pardon? Hmmm, Fidelity got the money weeks ago, let me invest some of it, was waiting for the right time to invest more, and only now there is a problem and you will not give me a chance to resolve it.

Strange, I say. No worries, all I have to do is send them two forms of id and verification of id and they will, I guess, return the money and don't have a clue what they will do with the investments. Fidelity should be ashamed and come clean that they do not want to do business with the general public that has limited resources. I just cannot believe there are not far better options with far better relations. I wish I were making this stuff up, but in the end, Fidelity has my money, my investments, and no time for me.

Original review: March 23, 2020

I called Fidelity this morning to find out why my normal distribution had not taken place. Is should have been completed last week. This money is needed to pay my bills. The first time I called I was on hold 51 min. I was told I needed to be transferred, but I was disconnected instead. The rep did call me back and apologize. He tried again to transfer me and I was disconnected again. I called again and waited a similar amount of time. This time I got a recording that the Fidelity line I was calling did not take calls. This was the same line as before.

Now I am up to about 1 3/4 hours on the phone for nothing. I decided to send an email. I went through that process on their website and sent it and got and ERROR msg that the email could not be sent. Thoroughly frustrated I tried the online chat, only 121 people in front of me. I waited about 1 1/4 hour before Alexander ** came on the chat. I told him what I needed, he asked for my account number which I provided. The chat ended there. 3 hours in the Fidelity system to be disconnected 3 times. They have a problem with their customer service. They may be losing my monies.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I have had accounts at Fidelity for several decades and have enjoyed working with their local branch people. However, the corporate attorneys seem to be running the show as they have gotten so big. Trading volumes are heavy in this corona induced panic and they have restricted online trading for many preferred stocks, MLP's and require customers to call in trades. Except they are so busy they don't answer the phone for hours until the trading day is closed or the price of the stock is no longer attractive. I have lost thousands of dollars in potential profits and am moving my accts.

Original review: March 20, 2020

One reason, their response time is HORRIBLE! I put in a sell order on my account before the market opened on March 13th 2020. My sell order was not executed until March 19, 2020. This delay cost me around $93,000.00. DO NOT TRUST these ** to manage your money! They will NOT be responsive to your needs!!!

Fidelity author review by Clark Kendall

Fidelity Investments is a privately-held full-service financial firm that offers an extensive range of investment options, including online trading, retirement accounts, IRAs, mutual funds, life insurance and more. The company has been in business since 1946 and now serves more than 25 million individual investors. It is headquartered in Boston with locations across the United States.

• Branch locations: Fidelity has nearly 200 branch location across the United States. Investors who want the option to trade online as well as get in-person help from a professional will appreciate this option.

• International trading: Fidelity clients can trade on the stock exchanges in 20 countries, including Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and the United Kingdom. Investors can choose to purchase or cash out stocks in U.S. dollars or the foreign country’s currency.

• Research trial: Account holders at Fidelity have free access to several research tools. They can learn about stocks, EFTs and other investments as well as set up watch alerts. Interested customers can sign up for a free 30-day trial to see whether they find the tools convenient and easy to use.

• Managed accounts: Investors who prefer a hands-off approach can set up a managed account with Fidelity. The company offers five different managed account types with a $5,000 minimum investment.

• Protection Guarantee: Consumers can feel secure with a Fidelity account. The company’s Protection Guarantee ensures that clients are covered if an unauthorized individual makes changes to their account. For full terms and details, visit the Fidelity website.

by Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Fidelity Investments Company Information