Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments

3.9/5 (524 ratings)
Find an Online Brokers partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Fidelity Investments

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Fidelity Investments Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity Investments?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

I have a 529 and other accounts with Fidelity. After noticing that my college aged child's 529 account was down 12% (and it is 80% in bonds) I called them to inquire why primarily bond account is down that much and got nothing but the runaround. I was placed on extensive holds, transferred, asked for a manager, was told to call a different 800#, all to answer this simple question -it was absurd. I wasted over an hour and a half on their carousal of confusion. Not ONE person there could give me an answer as to why the Fidelity bond fund that I was in - that was supposed to be stable value as my daughter is in college and is drawing on the money- had gone down 12%. The S&P 500 is down 14% in the same time frame.

This particular fund is (supposed to be) composed of shorter duration Treasury Notes so I have no idea how this was down so much. If it is to preserve principal, I cannot imagine that they would be going out a far duration on the bond fund - which would expose it to interest rate sensitivity. If there is a legitimate reason that it is down that much - great, educate me, but if not it looks like you sold me a 529 plan under the pretense of protection of principal at this age and it has failed miserably. When I told the rep this she said "well, every investment carries some risk," to which I replied that I agree with that but the risk/reward with a bond should be much lower than with a stock investment and she had no response.

The idea of having a conservative allocation was to protect the principal (or so that is how it was marketed to me) and they absolutely refused to be of help. I was transferred multiple times and then they told me that an explanation as to how a treasury bond fund had gone down that much fell under "analysis" and they could not assist with that since they don't provide guidance or analysis. Keep in mind that this is a FIDELITY fund that they manage and not one person there could tell me what was in the thing. Information online was clear as mud as well in terms of the bond holdings.

At the end of the call, they took great zeal in telling me that Risk Management was giving me 30 days to move my account. Translation? This is what happens when you ask us questions about our funds and don't like it when we refuse to give you any logical information. As a note, I did not curse/swear/use any slurs, etc. The conversation was factual but they just didn't like being challenged. At this point, I was going to transfer anyhow if this is how they treat customers who call in with simple questions about their funds!

Also, I had a similar experience a month ago with others where they just locked me out of my accounts. No email/text, NOTHING to let me know that they had locked the accounts, I just got a notice that a check was returned as a result of the lock and had to call them. Unbelievable! If you have a question if a customer has fraud - call them! Text, or email! Don't just shut down someone's accounts without notifying them! I also filed a complaint regarding what happened and (big surprise) no one had the courtesy to respond.

Either way, if you want to get locked out of your accounts and not get notified - OR- have what was marketed to you as a safe investment for your Child's education decline dramatically in value and have them offer no explanation why - and then tell you to leave Fidelity within 30 days, then you will find yourself well served here. If, on the other hand you are looking for some semblance of customer service, you will not find it here.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I joined the Fidelity Wealth Management and gave Fidelity control over managing my portfolio. Nothing went right with their program from the day I started until now. I told them to close my account last Thursday, Sept 22, 2022 and still, on Oct 28th, I do not have my money back from Wealth Management. I have told several times by the people I spoke to at Fidelity, that I needed to get any changes that I wanted to make in by 1:00PM for a sale of mutual funds to take place to take place that day.

I called in before 1PM on Thursday and they said if I was closing out the account, I had to wait 2 business days for the sale to take place. I insisted that the sale needed to take place that day because the Fed had just raised interest rates, and I wanted to get out of the market ASAP. They told me that it was in my contract with them, too bad. Neither the ETFs or the mutual funds were sold until Monday and it is now Wednesday and I do not have access to my proceeds at a cost of over $20K to me.

The reason I was getting out of Wealth Management was because of, what I considered, a poor selection of mutual funds to my account and other issues discussed here. The majority of the accounts are Fidelity funds, some with low capitalization and less than a 5-year track record. Less than a week after purchase, one of the so-called index funds dropped 16% due to, I think, a capital gains charge. Some of the Fidelity funds only had a 2 star rating due to poor performance.

The first days after starting into Wealth Management, I realized that the funds in my account had no or few index funds as I had been promised. I called my advisor and he apologized and had the brokers make changes, adding more index funds. The problem was that indexes used were not the standard indexes, like the DOW or S&P 500 or MSCI indexes, but were "indexes" set up by Fidelity using their unknown criteria so comparison with other funds was impossible. Also, the entire month I was in Wealth Management, I never knew for sure what the balance in my account was. The Portfolio page and Account Summary page would show greatly different portfolio totals. The top line total and bottom-line total on the Account Summary page were frequently different. I called my Fidelity advisor(s) almost daily and they would give one of the totals seen on the website as the correct number, but the issue was never fixed.

Another big problem is the separation between the people selling the product and brokers administrating the buying and selling of stocks and bond funds. I got into Wealth Management because of my 20-year relationship with one of their financial advisors. I didn't like that he couldn't show me the portfolio that was being offered or any historical data on the portfolio. That would have in the past been enough to make me take a pass on the offer, but at 68 years old, I felt it was time for me to release the reins of my account management. And Fidelity had always treated me well in the past, and as I said above, I had a long-term relationship with one particular advisor at Fidelity. The sales advisors I spoke to were saying the right things, including using words like "Fiduciary" and "no expense ratio charged above the 1.13 % account management fee."

After seeing the actual portfolio and asking about how the expense ratio was refunded back to me, I was told that the expense ratio was an expense I had to pay. “Fiduciary” also went away. While many of the index funds did have nominal 0.10% expense ratios, upon making a spot check of the funds they had investing in, at least one of the funds, FADMX, had an expense ratio of 0.69%, making my yearly costs closer to 2%.

As far as I am concerned, the broker end of business just views the clients as chumps to make money off of. The couple of times I talked to the back-office broker they were arrogant and rude. The holding of money for days before buying and holding of mutual funds for days before selling stinks and opens the opportunity for games to be played with my money. Especially with the attitude shown by Fidelity's brokers. Something wrong is going on here. My advice: Avoid Fidelity Wealth Management.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I am going back to Vanguard. This is nothing but a losing streak with Fidelity. I am on a low risk 401k plan and this is constantly an issue over the last year and I've had enough with these thieves. Go somewhere else with your money.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I recently opened a Fidelity investment account and a cash account. Both were frozen after depositing 20k over a series of a few days. Fidelity will not tell me why they closed and froze my account. I didn't know this happened until it happened to me. The managers were rude and would boastfully state, "Per the contact we don't have to tell you why we closed your account." Fidelity will not release my funds for 10 business days after they froze my account. Upon experiencing this I read post and it sounds like this happens to both new and current customers.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

Fidelity Investments has been giving me the run-around for over one month. Constantly giving me new demands to get my cash transferred to my bank account. Online restrictions do not allow me to request the transfer online and I have been to their St Petersburg office with ID and passport many times.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

This company is terrible to communicate with. They have a voice activated phone system from hell. Once you get to a rep, they are nice, and you are fine. Web site leaves a lot to be desired and there is little you can do about it, except call. When you do call you will be given the run around like a dog chasing its own tail. So frustrating. I'm transferring my 401K out of Fidelity. I would go as far as to say they have no real customer service. Not for me. Research before you sign up. I wish I had.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

The rude lady who answered the phone said the FIDELITY can cancel any account without giving a reason. My account was brand new and I did not have a chance to make any trade. I had cash in my account and they told me, "Will refund you in 10 days."

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I did a direct rollover Fidelity 401k to Fidelity IRA. My IRA balance from rollover funds was short $4,438.28. Call center agent at Fidelity says he can confirm that there is $4,438.28 missing but he has no idea where it went and that I should call back. That is a lot of my hard earned money missing. I worked hard for every penny of that money that Fidelity has stolen from me. Statement shows I should've had full balance rolled over. Do not rollover to Fidelity. I want my money back.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I open account, and I send first ACH deposit from my personal account to the new Fidelity account $3,800.00. Next day I try to make a payment and the system blocked my account and I call, he says my account will be deleted "money laundry" "pass throw", I have a serious company, and nothing is wrong, this is **, I'm OK if his wants to close my account is his decision, no problem. BUT 1 week later I still waiting my money back!!! I think this is wrong, this company work with your money for free and don't give back to you. I call again and now he says the only way to get my money back is calling to my bank asking for a money recall. Unbelievable!!! More lies. They can just transfer my money back in seconds!!! But they prefer the wrong way.

Original review: July 16, 2022

Fidelity Investments has been horrible to deal with and when a 6K was stolen and used to open an account with them, they could have cared less. They have refused to investigate and consider the matter closed while I'm out over $6200. Do not do business with this company! Go with someone who cares and has integrity. That does not describe Fidelity.

Fidelity author review by Sandy Baker

Fidelity Investments is a privately-held full-service financial firm that offers an extensive range of investment options, including online trading, retirement accounts, IRAs, mutual funds, life insurance and more. The company has been in business since 1946 and now serves more than 25 million individual investors. It is headquartered in Boston with locations across the United States.

• Branch locations: Fidelity has nearly 200 branch location across the United States. Investors who want the option to trade online as well as get in-person help from a professional will appreciate this option.

• International trading: Fidelity clients can trade on the stock exchanges in 20 countries, including Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and the United Kingdom. Investors can choose to purchase or cash out stocks in U.S. dollars or the foreign country’s currency.

• Research trial: Account holders at Fidelity have free access to several research tools. They can learn about stocks, EFTs and other investments as well as set up watch alerts. Interested customers can sign up for a free 30-day trial to see whether they find the tools convenient and easy to use.

• Managed accounts: Investors who prefer a hands-off approach can set up a managed account with Fidelity. The company offers five different managed account types with a $5,000 minimum investment.

• Protection Guarantee: Consumers can feel secure with a Fidelity account. The company’s Protection Guarantee ensures that clients are covered if an unauthorized individual makes changes to their account. For full terms and details, visit the Fidelity website.

by Sandy Baker Contributing Writer

Sandy Baker has written for ConsumerAffairs since 2021. Along with the advice and information her articles provide to consumers, she’s written several books that focus on topics such as retirement planning, bankruptcy, business finance, estate planning and personal credit health.

Fidelity Investments Company Information