2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.92/5

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Fidelity Investments Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity Investments?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Fidelity has been helpful for me as someone who is finance phobic. They keep me sufficiently engaged to allow me to make sound investment decisions. The company also employs a variety of specialist who are available to advise me on various financial planning needs like wills, trusts and inheritance arrangements.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Reps are very personable and knowledgeable. They offer an online retirement planning tool; however, it isn't intuitive to use and it's rather clunky to navigate within the tool. Reps have to walk you through the steps to better understand how to use it.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Ready with help when I call. Webpages easy to understand and navigate. In addition, Fidelity has a help desk one can access from the web. Overall, best I have used so far. One can easily print out statements or other information from this site.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Excellent choices with a great service. Value for the price is also very good. Some of the lowest fees for brokerage. Really flexible choices from a vast portfolio. We have had the account with them for a while and never complained. Solid background with solid choices.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I am not sure why so many people have 1 star reviews. I think they are great. I have been using Fidelity for so many years that I used to have to pay to use them. Now they are free. Their client services is great too. ** Thank you Fidelity.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

January 11,2021. I went into Fidelity Investments today at my local branch near my house at 7011 Fayetteville Road, Suite 110, Durham, NC 27713. I wanted to close out 3 accounts under my parents’ names as I am the executor of their estate. I had tried to close these accounts out many months ago on the phone with Fidelity customer service. But, to my surprise I received a statement showing the accounts were still active. As my parents have been dead for quite some time and I have filed their last tax returns showing them as deceased, I do not want problems with future taxes as a consequence of Fidelity’s neglect in this matter.

I asked the service agent, **, to help me close these accounts. She called the transition services and after a while I was finally told the accounts would be closed and I would receive a check for the few dollars remaining in the accounts. I thanked her and asked for a confirmation statement, email or letter showing our discussion of the accounts, so I would have proof the conversation occurred. I did this for 2 reasons, first, I have tried months ago and the accounts are still active after being told they would be closed, and secondly, I have been told before by Fidelity that I would need to do transactions in person at a local branch and I wanted to document the transaction before leaving the branch. She said she could not help me with this as she was not a licensed agent. I then asked to speak to her boss or someone who could help me with this documentation.

A few minutes later, her boss came out and we discussed what I needed. He said he could not help, so I asked him to call someone who could help me with my request as he refused to give me any documentation. He finally made a call after I told him I needed something before I left the branch for my documentation. I did not want to leave and not have some proof of my request, much as I would not leave a bank without a receipt for a deposit. He called what I was told was the transition team with my request to close the accounts, send me a check and send me a receipt of the action. He told me I would get an email confirmation. I asked him when and he said the next day, then after further discussion he said by 5 PM. If was 3:30 PM at that time. He said as soon as the accounts were processed I would receive this confirmation.

I asked for an email stating the accounts were being processed as I could receive this immediately and he said he could not help. I asked again if he would call and he said I could call the transition services and showed me the 800 number. I called and was waiting for customer service (3:45 PM). He asked me to leave the building and I told him I needed the confirmation before leaving as I did not want to leave with no proof of the conversation to close the accounts. He asked me to leave again stating Covid was the reason I had to go. I was the only one in the office and the office was set up with at least 10 feet between us. I told him this was ridiculous as no one was even in the building beside the 3 of us. After a few minutes he said I had to leave or he would call the police. I said I would leave as soon as I had some proof of the request to close the accounts.

After about 30 minutes waiting on the phone I finally was able to reach the transition services specialist, (**). She put me on hold for a few minutes while she was looking up the information on the accounts. At this point the Durham police arrived and after a few minutes discussion with the officer, and the (manager?) I was asked to leave. I walked outside the office and finished my discussion with **. Within a minute, I had the email I requested. This outrageous behavior from a manager(?), person supposedly there to help customers is totally absurd. If this is how customers are treated at Fidelity, I told him I would take my business elsewhere. As I have considerable funds with Fidelity, his actions have cost the company well over a million dollars. Maybe someone at Fidelity with half a brain will see this and realize how terrible a person they have in charge at this location.

Sincerely,

A former client.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I am a victim of Covid-19, lost my job as a result of the pandemic, and have been treated unjustly by Fidelity Investments. They have repeatedly ignored my attempts to rectify this solution by false promises, misleading information, and tactics to withhold my funds, and have now proceeded to attempt to silence my request for further information about a refund. What is worse is they have now chosen to silence me by adding a firewall to their IT infrastructure, preventing customers' emails from reaching their employees. Egregious behavior by a so-called "reputable" company!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Refusal to process Beneficiary Affidavit. For four years my brother and I have been (re) submitting the same Beneficiary Affidavits. For four years Fidelity has refused to a) process our affidavits or b) tell us why. My brother is a manager for a Fortune 500 company. I am a Director of Communications for a software company. We know how to submit paperwork. Our mother ended her career at Stanford University. Fidelity manages her pension. She passed away in 2016. Since that time we have been unable to register our beneficiary status with Fidelity. It is now 2021. All other financial institutions immediately settled balance and closed accounts. Years ago.

Our first two submissions were "lost". We switched to registered mail. We even changed notaries. Most recently we used a U.S. Govt Notary. We had a notary notarise our IRS Tax Returns and our Estate Executor declarations. Still Fidelity continues to send us the same form with the sole explanation "unfortunately we are unable to process your request at this time." The amount of money is not large, relatively speaking. And yet we have spent many hundreds of dollars visiting notaries and sending registered mail. We've called perhaps fifteen times. At this point we can only conclude wilful obstruction, incompetence, or both.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

They give you margin like every other companies do. However they will let you down if market goes down. Once your margin drops, they will reduce it more, put you on restrictions, block the accounts. When you get a chance to recover and make your losses they will still keep you locked. A hate hate relation. The worse by far.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

My retirement account was compromised and I was surprised the company let that happen. Then, it is a nightmare for getting hold of real person in both customer and fraud departments. Had to wait for more than 20 min. Then, you were told the department of fraud was closed. Then, they promised to call you back on next day which they nerve did. This is one of top investment for many IRA accounts. Poor service!.

Fidelity author review by Clark Kendall

Fidelity Investments is a privately-held full-service financial firm that offers an extensive range of investment options, including online trading, retirement accounts, IRAs, mutual funds, life insurance and more. The company has been in business since 1946 and now serves more than 25 million individual investors. It is headquartered in Boston with locations across the United States.

• Branch locations: Fidelity has nearly 200 branch location across the United States. Investors who want the option to trade online as well as get in-person help from a professional will appreciate this option.

• International trading: Fidelity clients can trade on the stock exchanges in 20 countries, including Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and the United Kingdom. Investors can choose to purchase or cash out stocks in U.S. dollars or the foreign country’s currency.

• Research trial: Account holders at Fidelity have free access to several research tools. They can learn about stocks, EFTs and other investments as well as set up watch alerts. Interested customers can sign up for a free 30-day trial to see whether they find the tools convenient and easy to use.

• Managed accounts: Investors who prefer a hands-off approach can set up a managed account with Fidelity. The company offers five different managed account types with a $5,000 minimum investment.

• Protection Guarantee: Consumers can feel secure with a Fidelity account. The company’s Protection Guarantee ensures that clients are covered if an unauthorized individual makes changes to their account. For full terms and details, visit the Fidelity website.

by Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Fidelity Investments Company Information