2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.72/5

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Fidelity Investments Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity Investments?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity?

Original review: April 2, 2021

I have been a client with Fidelity for over a decade. I have retirement accounts and a brokerage account and I would recommend them, especially someone who is in my demographic and who prefers my investment style: 40 years old, married, middle class and who prefers investing in actively managed mutual funds, some passive funds and ETFs, and some individual stock picking. I also have a Robinhood account and a Webull account and I use them for more aggressive trading, but Fidelity is by far my choice for my long term investing. Their research platform is excellent and the number of mutual funds they offer is outstanding.

I was tempted to switch to Charles Schwab because Schwab was offering a bonus to switch and I had called Fidelity a few times and experienced long waits. I expressed my frustrating in a letter to the company and received a satisfactory response that stated the company has hired 7,200 more customer service representatives to help better service clients by phone. So if you are in the market for a investment brokerage, I definitely recommend Fidelity based on their research platform, investment options, and improvements the company is making to better serve their clients.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Fidelity has been helpful for me as someone who is finance phobic. They keep me sufficiently engaged to allow me to make sound investment decisions. The company also employs a variety of specialist who are available to advise me on various financial planning needs like wills, trusts and inheritance arrangements.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Ready with help when I call. Webpages easy to understand and navigate. In addition, Fidelity has a help desk one can access from the web. Overall, best I have used so far. One can easily print out statements or other information from this site.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Excellent choices with a great service. Value for the price is also very good. Some of the lowest fees for brokerage. Really flexible choices from a vast portfolio. We have had the account with them for a while and never complained. Solid background with solid choices.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I am not sure why so many people have 1 star reviews. I think they are great. I have been using Fidelity for so many years that I used to have to pay to use them. Now they are free. Their client services is great too. ** Thank you Fidelity.

Original review: April 7, 2021

I reached out to Fidelity in December 2020 with regard to a problem. A check had been allegedly presented to my account (which I did write) that Fidelity returned NSF - although there was money in the account. I asked Fidelity to explain what happened - in part because of the check - in part because of the hellish customer service I encountered in their 1800 hell. I followed up with SEVEN emails in their communication center. ALL EMAILS have not been responded to. I called them and spent an hour and a half AGAIN on to the phone and a manager assured me they would respond. STILL - no response. I cannot imagine a company that ignores SEVEN emails and two phone calls (over three hours on the phone) fixing THEIR mistake! What a great advertisement for Charles Schwab. Literally. This level of service is disgusting. To my understanding, banking requirements require that they respond to formal complaints.

Anyhow I reached out to the Better Business Bureau - this time I received a response to my email (keep in mind it was a response to email #8 - sent over FOUR months of unresponded to emails) and they offered a canned response but nothing explaining what happened. I responded to their email asking them to address my inquiry - no response. I replied again two weeks later - STILL no response.

So, to recap - 10 (TEN) emails to Fidelity customer service (oh, and they are getting them - I receive an email confirming it) and no response. The complaint to the BBB was marked unresolved as they did not even respond to them. I have no idea where their customer service got so de-railed but it is bad. If you don't want to spend hours on the phone resolving their problem - or have the opportunity to send TEN emails and have TEN emails ignored? Check out ANY other investment company. No one should have to deal with this level of "service".

Original review: March 26, 2021

Stay far away from this company. I deposited $3,000 into their FPAA account on March 21st. They pulled the money from my Bank on the 22nd. The funds were just sitting there for 2 days doing nothing. I called and try to ask why wasn't anything being invested after 3 days and they told me it takes a while for my funds to be diversified by their professionals. I then found out they don't offer tax-loss harvesting and decided to pull my money back out.

After 4 days that they took from my account, they told me my money would not be available for withdrawal back into my bank until the 30th! That is 8 days for the cash to settle. Nowhere do they say it takes that long for money to settle and never had I dealt with a broker that takes that long to settle a cash deposit! Matter of fact, their very own website says it takes 1-3 business days to settle yet when I talked to Scott who is a supervisor, he said it can take 4 to 6 days. I asked him where does it state that in your TOS and he couldn't give me an answer. They have held my money hostage for 8 days when the markets have been green. If you wanna lose time and money, then join them. Never again will I consider joining them again!

Original review: March 16, 2021

When called Covid-19 and high volume calls are the excuses for a long time. Several times, waiting were >30 mins and I have to give up. Also, lack of training and experiences are also observed to set up international wire transfer. They were contradictory advices. To day, I could not even login to my account with correct UN and PW. OTP was inactive. Called the phone number as it was showing on screen and again gave up after 30 min waiting. Simply disgusting. Considering moving my investment to a more reliable place. I do not think they care....

Original review: March 16, 2021

After 20 years with Fidelity I moved and they made the most feeble attempt to contact me. I thought my account was safe and when I went to take action my money was gone, escheated to the state of California. I have been trying to get my money back for 10 months. Fidelity offered no help. They don't care. Awful service.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Calling Customer Service several times a day at different time. Stayed on hold 1 hour each of the three times that I called. This is preposterous - should have a call back service set up or something to avoid SUCH LONG TIME HOLD for customers if the company is THAT BUSY or THAT understaffed. Contacted through FB messenger and received a general message that is not helping and meaning nothing. This company is through my employee who has a contract with this entity but being on my own would never chose it for service.

Fidelity author review by Clark Kendall

Fidelity Investments is a privately-held full-service financial firm that offers an extensive range of investment options, including online trading, retirement accounts, IRAs, mutual funds, life insurance and more. The company has been in business since 1946 and now serves more than 25 million individual investors. It is headquartered in Boston with locations across the United States.

• Branch locations: Fidelity has nearly 200 branch location across the United States. Investors who want the option to trade online as well as get in-person help from a professional will appreciate this option.

• International trading: Fidelity clients can trade on the stock exchanges in 20 countries, including Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and the United Kingdom. Investors can choose to purchase or cash out stocks in U.S. dollars or the foreign country’s currency.

• Research trial: Account holders at Fidelity have free access to several research tools. They can learn about stocks, EFTs and other investments as well as set up watch alerts. Interested customers can sign up for a free 30-day trial to see whether they find the tools convenient and easy to use.

• Managed accounts: Investors who prefer a hands-off approach can set up a managed account with Fidelity. The company offers five different managed account types with a $5,000 minimum investment.

• Protection Guarantee: Consumers can feel secure with a Fidelity account. The company’s Protection Guarantee ensures that clients are covered if an unauthorized individual makes changes to their account. For full terms and details, visit the Fidelity website.

by Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Fidelity Investments Company Information