Find an Online Brokers partner

Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments

3.8/5 (516 ratings)
Find an Online Brokers partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Fidelity Investments

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Fidelity Investments Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity Investments?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity?

Original review: April 2, 2021

I have been a client with Fidelity for over a decade. I have retirement accounts and a brokerage account and I would recommend them, especially someone who is in my demographic and who prefers my investment style: 40 years old, married, middle class and who prefers investing in actively managed mutual funds, some passive funds and ETFs, and some individual stock picking. I also have a Robinhood account and a Webull account and I use them for more aggressive trading, but Fidelity is by far my choice for my long term investing. Their research platform is excellent and the number of mutual funds they offer is outstanding.

I was tempted to switch to Charles Schwab because Schwab was offering a bonus to switch and I had called Fidelity a few times and experienced long waits. I expressed my frustrating in a letter to the company and received a satisfactory response that stated the company has hired 7,200 more customer service representatives to help better service clients by phone. So if you are in the market for a investment brokerage, I definitely recommend Fidelity based on their research platform, investment options, and improvements the company is making to better serve their clients.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Fidelity has been helpful for me as someone who is finance phobic. They keep me sufficiently engaged to allow me to make sound investment decisions. The company also employs a variety of specialist who are available to advise me on various financial planning needs like wills, trusts and inheritance arrangements.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Ready with help when I call. Webpages easy to understand and navigate. In addition, Fidelity has a help desk one can access from the web. Overall, best I have used so far. One can easily print out statements or other information from this site.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Excellent choices with a great service. Value for the price is also very good. Some of the lowest fees for brokerage. Really flexible choices from a vast portfolio. We have had the account with them for a while and never complained. Solid background with solid choices.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I am not sure why so many people have 1 star reviews. I think they are great. I have been using Fidelity for so many years that I used to have to pay to use them. Now they are free. Their client services is great too. ** Thank you Fidelity.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I have had my money with this company for years. They are fine until you need customer service. It's 2021 and there is no way to chat online which would save the ridiculous hold times. They cannot handle a simple recharacterization for my IRA. I have called several times in the past 3 months & have gotten vague responses for something so easy to handle, they just cannot do it. I was sent a form to fill out for this recharacterization which I completed and returned. Last week, I made the dreaded phone call again to them knowing I'd be on hold forever, finally got to a rep who promised that the information was in the system. Told me this would be completed as of Monday (it is now Friday, and almost 3 months later than my original request).

On Tuesday, tired of calling I sent an email through their online "system". 3 days later, I get a generic script response of "please fill out attached form & make sure this is right for your situation." This is beyond frustrating. I have ALREADY filled out the snail-mailed paper form and returned it, which the last rep confirmed was received. Is there anyone with half a brain in this company who can complete this request? Is everyone out to lunch?? Thankfully there are several other brokerages that always want your business, so I'm going to do a simple rollover to one one of them at this point. The service has taken a drastic downturn with Fidelity Investments & it's probably going to get a lot worse before better.

Original review: July 3, 2021

When I joined Fidelity as a client 30 years ago, the company was clear as to its values and principles - then hired smart and experienced professionals. This is no longer the case. The company is bureaucratic, and they hire very average employees from companies like Starbucks. RECOMMENDATION: Find another alternative like Schwab or TD Ameritrade.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I had my IRA and 401K accounts with Fidelity for several years and was happy with their service. But when I retired last year I had the misfortune of talking to Thomas ** in the fixed income department at Fidelity about a managed bond account which he said would earn 3.5% income. When I looked into it I found that the rate he quoted was before expenses. When I realized the actual rate was only 3.1%. I told Mr. ** that I didn't want to invest in it. He became very rude, condescending and pushy and in retaliation for my not doing what he wanted, he falsely labeled me with Fidelity as having a memory problem. This caused my Fidelity 401K account to be blocked from my access. I called Fidelity and spoke to a Mr. ** about my problem, he said "I'm sure Mr. ** was acting in your best interest".

I assured Mr. ** that he was incorrect. Several times I tried calling Fidelity to get help and was put on hold for over 30 minutes before giving up. I was finally able to speak to Mika in the 401K department of Fidelity. She said she would look into it. I called her back the next day and she said that Fidelity was doing a review which could take up to 5 days and that she would call me back. I called Mika back 5 days later and she suggested I call employee service at my employer. I called employee services and explained the problem. They said they would contact Fidelity. A few days later my 401K account was unblocked and I immediately moved my IRA and 401K to another broker.

Original review: June 18, 2021

If you are an active trader stay away! Spent 2 days trying to get funds reflected that were wire transferred after numerous calls - made clear it was from another IRA. Finally got the funds to reflect but while I was busy making a trade an HOUR before market closes they unilaterally decided to close out my options on expiration Friday locking in losses that was still under water. Pathetic customer service. Predatory practices. Why do corporations still use them for 401K? Schwab and TOS 100% better. Heck even Robin Hood is better.

Resolution response: May 26, 2021

The matter was resolved.

Original review: May 25, 2021

DISClAIMER: This post and the information shown below is my opinion and based solely on my personal experiences. For the past few weeks, I’ve had a financial issue with Fidelity. As a result, I’ve called 1-800-Fidelity numerous times and am always transferred to different departments and employees. Although this is only my opinion, I have spoken to a manager at 1-800-Fidelity and she does NOT like to follow through and refers me to different departments. Fidelity is good when I want to buy and sell, but if I have an issue that needs to be resolved, management and the “Back Office” at 1-800-Fidelity have NOT followed through and continue to give me the runaround.

Fidelity author review by Clark Kendall

Fidelity Investments is a privately-held full-service financial firm that offers an extensive range of investment options, including online trading, retirement accounts, IRAs, mutual funds, life insurance and more. The company has been in business since 1946 and now serves more than 25 million individual investors. It is headquartered in Boston with locations across the United States.

• Branch locations: Fidelity has nearly 200 branch location across the United States. Investors who want the option to trade online as well as get in-person help from a professional will appreciate this option.

• International trading: Fidelity clients can trade on the stock exchanges in 20 countries, including Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and the United Kingdom. Investors can choose to purchase or cash out stocks in U.S. dollars or the foreign country’s currency.

• Research trial: Account holders at Fidelity have free access to several research tools. They can learn about stocks, EFTs and other investments as well as set up watch alerts. Interested customers can sign up for a free 30-day trial to see whether they find the tools convenient and easy to use.

• Managed accounts: Investors who prefer a hands-off approach can set up a managed account with Fidelity. The company offers five different managed account types with a $5,000 minimum investment.

• Protection Guarantee: Consumers can feel secure with a Fidelity account. The company’s Protection Guarantee ensures that clients are covered if an unauthorized individual makes changes to their account. For full terms and details, visit the Fidelity website.

by Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Fidelity Investments Company Information