2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.17/5

Ameriprise Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I get my insurance through my Costco membership & I OFTEN refer others as Ameriprise (you don't have to be Costco member but it costs slightly less & has more benefits when you are). Has been very competitive & customer service has always been very helpful & friendly. My last car caught on fire while on a trip to neighboring state & the adjuster made the process easy to deal with (I was all shook up & had no idea what to do next. He helped me through it all & never made me feel like I was a bother)...& took care of everything in a very timely manner.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I switched to this carrier, and have been pleasantly surprised at the savings and the quality of the service. They were faster to help me on the phone than my previous (nationally known) carrier - I had that previous plan through a broker. This I got through Costco. The coverage is identical but I am saving money each month.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I had this insurance company for 20+ years. They gained my trust when I first got them in my 20's. Because within a couple of months of signing up with them I had my first car accident. I had heard horror stories about how companies would drop you or raise your premiums way up. They did not do either of those things which was amazing to me. I don't know what I would/could of done if they had specially since I was young and broke. So until this day I truly recommend them, they are trustworthy and have great customer service. Also their rates are competitive with other insurance companies if you have a new car.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I am a satisfied Costco member for years. All my cars are insured with Geico for many years. Decided to make change to Costco insurance after many solicitations from them. Spent 40 minutes on telephone giving the agent all the details. Have no tickets, accidents, etc for 25 years. At the end of process the agent said they were not able to offer collision and comprehension coverage on my five cars. Three cars are Porsche, one BMW, one 1996 Ford truck. Credit history excellent with no loans on cars. They will not insure. I am 77 years old and wonder what kind of customer Costco is Looking for. Do not waste your time with Costco insurance unless you have bad credit and junk cars.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I had a policy with them for home/condo insurance for a few years. Then one year I rented my unit out and had to get renters insurance with a different company as they did not provide this. When my tenants left, I called to reinstate an old policy. The person speaking to me on the phone updated all the information; I paid by credit card and they emailed me the new home insurance policy which had all the information and details including start date, price, coverage. When I went to the Ameriprise website to check and possibly renew an auto policy, I found out that my home/condo insurance was cancelled and not effective the date they told me. No one bothered to let me know what was going on.

I emailed to ask what happened and got an email back stating that the policy never went through due to credit card issues. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with my credit card and I verified this. What irks me is that NOBODY from Ameriprise even bothered to let me know that there was an issue and the policy was cancelled. So if I did not bother to check online for a different policy, I would have never known. I would have operated under the assumption that I had full coverage. They let my coverage lapse and it could have lead to bigger issues and problems for me. I would never trust this company every again.

Over the last few years I have had multiple issues with them. Customer service has been so poor. I am also going to switch out the auto policy I have with them. Costco needs to know the issues. It is the only reason I am with them - because I am a member of Costco. Horrible service. I would never recommend this company to anyone anymore. They used to be good. Not anymore. Costco needs to cut them off and find a better vendor to partner with. Please write to Costco to complain about this as well which is what I will be doing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Please, please do not invest your money in this company. First watch the John Oliver show on retirement plans to understand how companies like Ameriprise charge high fees and end up making very little money for their customers. Managers like Kerry ** will never tell you the real story of why they are not making good returns and tell the truth about as much as crooked politicians. In the 10-15 years that our mother trusted them, Ameriprise earned 3 times as much money as they returned to our mother's retirement funds. STAY CLEAR of them. You can get the same or better services for one third the cost which, when compounded over 10, 20 or more years is a huge amount.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

Ameriprise admitted to making a mistake that caused my coverage to lapse, they didn't notify me for three months. When they did, they said I would have to pay for the period during my lapse, or my 10 years of relationship would be lost, and I would have to pay the "No Prior Insurance" rates. Talk about abuse of power, coercion, manipulation and disrespect. I have never written a negative review like this before. I just thought someone should know. This time the house didn't win, I switched to GEICO.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

When monies were inherited in 2013 the Ameriprise representative took a quarter of a million dollars and invested it in what were described as middle of the road investments with good potential. By 2016 we had lost 30K. When we went to a different advisor, a certified financial planner. He looked over the products Ameriprise sold and was explained that "wrap around fees" had made money for many people, just not for us.

When the original Ameriprise representative was asked for a breakdown of where the monies had gone, she told us she didn't like what we were suggesting and didn't want to do business with us anymore. The monies have since been moved to the independent certified financial planner and the monies have been steadily increasing. We still have an IRA with Ameriprise that was inherited at the same time. Every year it takes over an hour, most of it on hold, to get our minimum distribution. When someone finally gets on the phone, they are usually very nice, hence the two stars.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

A scammer intentionally came into contact with my car while I was stopped in order to collect as much money as possible. There was actually no damage to her car as a result of this incident, but she had damage from a previous incident. Ameriprise didn't do their due diligence and allowed the fraud to happen. When I first talked to them, I told them it was a fraudulent claim. In spite of this, Ameriprise allowed the scammer to send in doctored up pictures that were believable based on my car, but the repair costs were much higher than the pictures indicated.

In addition, the scammer put in an injury claim, and Ameriprise paid it. I should have taken a photo of her car but didn't immediately realize what was happening, and that it was a scam. I thought she was going to drop the claim like a reasonable person would have, since she didn't have damage. Instead of protecting me when it mattered most, Ameriprise recorded that this was my fault, and doubled my insurance. They also reported it to the CLUE database so that any other insurance company would also charge me double.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I requested roadside assistance for a flat tire. The Person came and after checking, told me that I am missing some adapter and he cannot take out my spare tire. But I was able to remove the spare tire with the wheel nut wrench. (Acura MDX). The issue was the response from Ameriprise after that. It was, as if nothing has happened, the response was very mechanical and they simply asked me to open a new ticket as the current one is closed. I believe in this instance the service was below standard and un-professional. I waited for an hour initially and then after all this, changed the tire by myself with help of a friend rather than waiting for another hour.

Not sure about Ameriprise?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Ameriprise expert review by Clark Kendall

Ameriprise is an investment firm with an extensive range of online services. It was founded in 1894 in Minneapolis, where it is still headquartered. The company manages $750 billion in assets for over two million clients. Those with an Ameriprise brokerage account can make online trades of stocks and EFTs in their online account.

• Offline trading options: In addition to making trades online, Ameriprise clients can make trades over the phone, by talking to their financial advisor or by visiting a local office.

• Managed accounts: Ameriprise clients can choose to have a managed account with fees based on the assets in the account instead of a per-transaction basis. Investors can be actively involved in managing their account or be totally hands-off.

• Fraud protection: Ameriprise will reimburse clients for losses due to fraudulent activity on their account. Interested consumers should visit the website for specific terms and conditions.

• Resources: Clients with Ameriprise accounts can access informational resources to stay informed about market charges and economic topics. Resources include company overviews, news stories, stock quotes, technical analysis and more.

• Tools and calculators: Those considering how much to invest or save as well as individuals who aren’t sure what kind of investments to make can use the tools and calculators on the Ameriprise website for free. Tools include a net worth calculator, a compound interest calculator, an asset allocation calculator and more.

• Best for: Ameriprise Financial is best for individuals who want a significant amount of assistance making investments and hands-off investors.

by Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Ameriprise Company Information