Ameriprise

91%

Compare Online Financial Advisors

Research top Online Financial Advisors recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1834people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Ameriprise:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Our car and home were insured with Ameriprise. We decided to sell our home and move to another state, I called Ameriprise and informed them. I was told that once we were going to closing on our new home to let them know and they would give us a quote and transfer our policy. We did this and all went well. I also informed them that we would be getting new driver licenses and registering our car in that new state. We were told to let them know once this occurred and they would transfer our insurance and make any needed adjustments in price. We had a credit card on file for billing.

I called about 5 months after we were settled and had gotten our new plates only to be told we did not have auto insurance - it had been cancelled! We never received a letter, email, or phone call telling us this! We were driving without any auto insurance! Then we were told they could not insurance since we had a break in coverage and we had to go to Progressive and paid $200.00 extra for 6 months of coverage. I asked why this had happened and was told they could not see a reason on the screen and all of the phone calls would have to be reviewed by a supervisor. I know that this was all an error on Ameriprise's part and they will never admit to anything but we are seniors and we have excellent driving records. I would love to find out how they can cancel your auto insurance and not even notify a person!

I never had such a horrible experience such as with Ameriprise. Every time I need to call to customer service of Ameriprise, I always get a lot of stress, representatives are very rude, supervisors are worst. They constantly trying to come up with anything to make customer’s life miserable, constantly threatening that are going to stop the insurance, requesting unnecessary paperwork that is difficult to obtain, constantly changing information on the file by themselves that increases the premium and don’t even clarify why the premium went up. Every time I need to talk to clarify something, I get totally contraindicating messages from different representatives and if I try to talk to supervisors, they retaliate and make the condition worst. In other word, it gives me a lot of stress to deal with the Ameriprise Insurance.

I feel Ameriprise is basically a scam and that they are liars... They gave me a quote and I switched my insurance over and then they subsequently added a "surcharge" without my knowledge. Think twice before you get involved with this company.

I would NEVER recommend Ameriprise Auto & Home to anyone! I have been a customer of Ameriprise Auto & Home for approximately 5 years. As of this date, 7/21/2016, my insurance payments have never been late and I have never had my insurance cancelled by Ameriprise Auto & Home. My girlfriend recently moved in with me, she has a 20-year old daughter, who does not live with me, for whatever reason, Ameriprise says the daughter lives here and I must account for her address. Because I cannot verify where she lives, as of 8/11/2016 they will be canceling my insurance. I feel Ameriprise Auto & Home has over stepped their bounds when it comes to this issue. Who does Ameriprise think they are?

I have had Costco Ameriprise auto insurance for several years. In April 2016 I revised the auto insurance on three cars. Only one car is mostly used, while others are used occasionally. I told the truth by saying my son buys toilet paper and scott towels for his Dad's machine shop. His father has a heart condition. Machine shop is barely functioning. So my son is helping and also buys food for his Dad to take home. In July 2016 received a letter saying that my auto insurance was dropped since toilet paper and scott towels are considered hazard material. It seems okay to buy for home only. I called Ameriprise and was told I will be cancelled as of September 6th. What is wrong with this picture?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

I've had the same financial advisor for many years. He recently moved from Wells Fargo to Ameriprise and my small account went with him. I am very, VERY unhappy with Ameriprise. For example: I read about a company which was developing a product in which I was interested. I asked my advisor to purchase some stock for me. I THOUGHT he said it would cost $15 for the transaction but I sent extra money in case the stock increased in price before the check got to him. Imagine my surprise when I got the transaction receipt. I had purchased $150 worth of stock but was charge $50, not $15, plus a $6 "Handling Fee." I am now looking for a new company and WILL NEVER RECOMMEND AMERIPRISE FINANCIAL SERVICES TO ANYONE!

I have been insured with different auto insurance companies for the last 20 yrs. Never ever had premium increase after BEING 5 months WITH PROVIDER. THAT COMPANY JACKED UP MY NEXT TERM PREMIUM UP TO 29.4% WITH ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. I called customer service and they told me, due to their losses, advertising, blah blah blah, etc, they had to increase premiums mostly for CA drivers!!!??? I told them, they had to disclose it when I sign up with them 5 months ago...otherwise it is a fraudulent business you guys are in. Looking for people in my situation to file a class action lawsuit. Any advise would be helpful.

At the end of a lengthy phone interview representative asked if my car had any damage. I said maybe 1 or 2 small parking lot dings. He replied "We don't insure damaged vehicles."

I had been with Ameriprise for several months when we decided to sell one of our vehicles. Upon informing Ameriprise, they told us that the remaining vehicle would cost us way over twice the amount it would cost to cover two vehicles. So... dropping one vehicle our new bill was $51 dollars more than the previous two vehicles. This is simply unconscionable business practice.

My mother had a policy for extended health care coverage for 28 years. Without our family knowing she began developing dementia and forgot to make premium payments. Once it became clear that she had this my sister in law (POA) began the process of getting her reinstated. All requested documentation has been provided, several times. Each time info is sent the company comes back with a request for more --- of data that has already been given! 28 years of carrying a policy which is now being denied because of the condition it was meant to cover. The account advisor has stonewalled and refused to provide further information (in re: the case manager's contact numbers) stating that customers are not allowed this. This has gone on for over 2 months with no resolution.

Went with this company 1.5 years ago after they solicited me through the brand of auto I bought (Ford). Save me a few bucks, was appreciated. Then I had to make a temporary move from CA to PA. Informed them of the move. They told me I would need to register the cars in PA in order to have coverage. I would have had to obtain a PA license to do that, and I would need to become a PA resident to do that. I am a CA resident and plan to remain so, I told them. Asked if there was any other way? A few weeks later I receive a letter in the mail informing me I was dropped. I've had no accidents, no citations, not even a parking ticket. One must wonder how this company honors claims if they do this kind of treatment to spotless policy holders for no reason. The location I moved from had 10X the auto theft rate as the one I moved to.

Please stay away from this insurance company. I received a letter from Costco about Ameriprise Home insurance. I called them and they gave me a reasonable quote that was a little cheaper than the actual one I signed up with when I purchased my home a year ago. An inspector called me about 10 times trying to reschedule because either you accommodate the time for him or he does not come. Most often he would call me after 8 pm. What kind of service calls that late? Anyways, when he came he took some pictures of the house, and in about two weeks Ameriprise sent me a cancellation notice stating that I have some moss on my roof and trees around the house which is a hazard and therefore they are giving me a month to find another company.

I was shocked because Farmers never came to do an inspection, and even if they did I am sure if this was an issue they would have told me to correct it within a time frame. But this company just sent the cancellation notice. Now when I tried to go back with Farmers, they wanted to give me a new quote for the actual rate which is higher. I ended up going with GEICO. They beat both companies and the inspector didn't make any comments about the "Hazards" that Ameriprise claimed.

I bought stock with the company I work for in 1997. Ameriprise has held onto the stocks since then. I recently retired and upon review discovered that they charge me quarterly fees to hold my 500 shares of stock. I called to have them send me my stock certificates and close my account in December 2015. Upon receiving a recent statement I have discovered that they kept $127 in cash assets and continue to charge me quarterly fees to maintain this small cash amount.

I have never received my stock certificates as I originally instructed the advisor. They simply transferred the stocks to a holding company without notifying me as to where my stock is currently being held. I called Ameriprise to cancel the entire account and send me the cash amount that they have held onto. I was then told that there is a $100 cancellation fee in order to close out the account. Ameriprise Financial is taking money from their customers daily and getting away with it! BUYER BEWARE, Ameriprise Financial does nothing for their customers, they are not acting as fiduciaries.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! Set up online preferences and tried to wire $. They said it would take 1 week on the day it was supposed to happen. A woman from Ameriprise called to verify info. I thought that meant everything was going to happen but NO!!! No wire transfer done AND there was nothing online that showed I tried to wire the money!!! What happened then??? Called to speak to representative who told me it would take another 5 days unless I filled out and faxed some form. She said she was going to email the form this morning. Still NO form in my inbox!!! I have been waiting 3 hours for this damn form! I AM DONE WITH THIS COMPANY! I am closing the account today! Stick it Ameriprise, you are a horrible company with horrible service and I'm taking my money!!!

Large account with them. My advisor! Hah, lost 6 figure in less than 9 months. Fired him. Just discovered they have been billing me since July for his services. Still no return on calls. I NOT once got a portfolio review. My own fault. They are NOT GOOD.

My advice is to stay away. When you first meet with Ameriprise, they make you feel like there will be a team of people working on your account. During my initial meeting, there were 4-5 people from Ameriprise. Your advisor lays out a calendar of quarterly touch points, two in person, two over the phone. Aside from our initial meeting, I never saw my advisor in person. And last year, he called me once at the end of December. But the main reason I left is because I was paying high fees to have no one watch my money. Between fees and bad advice, I would have been better off keeping my money in a no interest savings account. The kicker is when you leave, they charge high termination and transfer fees on your account. Someone was making money on my account, but it was not me. Unfortunately, after surfing around the internet, my experience with Ameriprise is not unique.

Changes to the web does not show up real time, it takes 24 hrs. No confirmation email is sent either. Surprisingly, I have been charged monthly installment charges for the past few months since they mentioned that the service was changed to monthly though I have received no confirmation. They have refused to refund the charges.

I would not recommend using Ameriprise. They do not look out for the interest of their clients, only themselves. They do little work, have high expense fees, have difficult paperwork to fill out, and are hard to work with. They sold us a RiverSource annuity that is worth less than when we purchased it. There are plenty of hidden fees in this annuity. Now we are stuck with this annuity. His name is Matt **. Don't use him. He does not inform you of what he is doing. Charged us an expense ratio of 1.25% on other investments. Fidelity charges .8%. I am in the process of liquidating all investments with these people. Like I said, there is plenty of complicated paperwork. But I am done with them.

My accident was on December 3rd, 2015. I still have not had the internal inspection I requested done. Trying to get a hold of my agent (Joe ** from Arizona) has been a joke. He is apparently out of the office 3 days a week and can't be bothered to return my calls in a timely manner. I have to ask THEM what is going on. They are poor communicators and I am so displeased with how long this process has been.

Unethical, horrible customer service and total rip off. Worst company ever, they start you with low premium and then start raising up more and more. They'll find all the excuses to collect more money from you. Prepare yourself to deal with the rudest customer service ever if you get in an accident and do all the work on top of that. Bad reputation well deserved.

Their insured made an illegal left turn from a strip center and struck my stopped truck. Ameriprise said I should have honked my horn to avoid the accident. It happened so fast that there is no way I could have honked. It took about a second from the time he start until impact. Furthermore, honking my horn is a moot point because he could not have moved his foot from the accelerator to the brake fast enough to avoid the collision. So who is going to pay the other 20%? The insured, of course. I'm meeting with my attorney this afternoon. Are you sure you want to be insured by Ameriprise? I don't!!!

I wish I could rate Ameriprise lower, but I am not given the option. I recently started trying to put away money in an Ameriprise account. I barely make enough money to pay my bills each month. As it is so I was happy at the end of the year to have had been able to at least have a $100 ending balance in my Ameriprise account. However, when I got my annual statement I saw a Quarterly charge for $12.50 bringing my account down to $87.50. The charge was labeled as a maintenance fee which I thought was strange because I hadn't used any Ameriprise services. I was basically just using the account as a savings account. So I called Ameriprise to find out what this quarterly charge consisted of. I was told that this charge was for them sending me my statements and tax forms at the end of the year, which are pretty standard and are given for free at most financial institutions.

This was the first thing that upset me, basically Ameriprise wants to charge me $50 a year ($12.50 a quarter) to send standard statements and tax forms. This is more than half of my $87.50 balance!!! After being told that these quarterly fees would not be waived and would continue to be assessed to my account I felt that it didn't make any sense to keep the account open. I then asked to close the account thinking they would just give me my remaining $87.50 and that would be the end of it, nope, I was wrong. They said they could close the account for me, but that they would have to charge me $100 to close it. This was more than I even had left in my account!!!

They said since I only have a remaining balance of $87.50, my only options are to let the account erode to $0 from the $12.50 quarterly fees or to let them close it and take my remaining $87.50 for the closing fee. I could not believe it!!! I know for most people this is a small amount of money, but for me it was a lot and it's hard enough to pay my bills each month let alone to put money away for savings. I cannot believe that institutions like this prey on low income account holders who are just trying to put away money and start a savings!!! I cannot even begin to explain how upset and hurt I am. I hope others take a look at what fees are being assessed to their accounts and what closing costs there are so that they can avoid the loss I went through.

Worse auto claim experience ever. If I could give Ameriprise a lower rating, I would do it. Their drunk insured driver got arrested by the Glendale (CA) Police Department for DUI. She hit my parked automobile and was 100% at fault. Caused over $11,000 damages to my parked car. Caused over $8,000 other damages including damage to the Professional Keyboard in the Trunk, causing over $3,000 damage, Storage and Rental fees. It has been over 50 e-mail communications for this claim. They switch their Claim representatives, and delay the process. It is over 4 months from the date of loss, and I have been unable to get anywhere. They will not talk on normal unrecorded line, knowing that it is against the law to record caller's conversation without his/her consent.

I have filed a complaint with the Department of Insurance to assist me with my settlement. I am not represented by an attorney, Ameriprise asks for so many unnecessary information including EIN for all vendors provided repair to my professional keyboard/auto rental/ Auto storage, and programming to my damaged professional keyboard. I had to send a demand via certified mail to their president, but they still claim that they are unable to locate some things including car rental invoice, although was sent to Ameriprise via e-mail. Probably the worst Auto Insurance. I understand that so many clients who were insured through Costco are complaining.

We had Ameriprise (Costco) as our auto and home insurance company for the last three years. They have competitive rate. They seemed like a great company till you need them, they almost doubled our rate after my wife had her first minor accident. Their customer service is one of the worst. Like I said they are great as long as taking your money, but when it's time to provide service and help with a claim you they are the worst.

In 2007 I had my money with what was then H&R later Ameriprise. In 2007 as a disabled veteran I needed to protect my life savings and when the market began its meltdown in 2008 I ordered "SELL!" The broker indirectly refused but and I began writing emails and phoning him! Not until I left Ameriprise did my losses stop! By then Ameriprise had lost 60% of all I had left to live on! When I filed a complaint the battalion of lawyers they hired tried to squash me like an ant! But I have news for them, I am going public about this criminal organization! It's not Wall Street, it's these white collar criminals! A new movie is about to be released better than "inside job" which shows the public how it looks from the crook's view!

Ameriprise employees working from home are putting clients at risk by client's accounts, SSN and personal information visible to friends and roommates. I contacted Ameriprise and nothing was done. They need to screen employees and conduct more audits.

I was hit in the back of my car and drove into another car. Ameriprise fixed the back of my car, but claims the damage on the front was done at another time. It is clearly stated and drawn in the police report with three cars in the accident. I file a complaint with NC Insurance commission. Pre-printed letter to work it out. Finally get in touch with an Attorney and tell him it will cost $400 to paint my front bumper and he tells me it is not worth it for that small amount to go to court. He says that the Insurance company lobbyist get the laws in their favor and the Insurance Commission has no authority. I have to pay for the painting of the front of my car with my money. Worst insurance company ever! Do not use!!

I had Ameriprise Auto since mid-2006. I had 3 claims with the company and only 1 positive outcome. I had hail damage a few years back and they sent out an adjuster. I was paid for the damages in a couple of week. Now here is where their system breaks down. I was rear ended February 2015. I waited for the police and got a police report. I was having back pains due to the impact. I called my adjuster 2-3 days a week to find out what was going on. They told me that they could not find the insurance carrier of the person that hit me. REALLY...you are an insurance company and cannot locate another insurance company.

I was told that I would have to claim my medical bills on my personal insurance and then they would pay 20% of my copay. Not even willing to pick up my side of the bills. This would have cost them far less than paying for the majority. So am currently dealing with back pain because my Auto Insurance Company failed at doing their job.

Then my wife was in Miami and struck on the front passenger side her new car in July of 2015. The police officer took the word of the other driver and my wife was cited for the accident. We fought the ticket and won. We were found not guilty of the accident. I then get a notice in the mail that they are canceling my policy because of an at-fault accident. I explained what happened and sent over the court ruling. They stated even though we were found not guilty, the police report said we were and that we were over 50% at fault. So it doesn't matter what the courts find, they do what they want. 10 years with a company and a police report gets my policy canceled. Their customer service is poor, policies are flawed, and I would not recommend anyone getting a policy with this company.

I had a rep in Fort Worth. They notified me that I was being transferred to the main office, no longer having a rep. Upon calling I was told I needed to make an appointment to speak to someone over the phone. The appointment was 2 1/2 weeks out. I was going to be traveling so I asked if we could expedite it. They were unable to do that. After calls repeatedly I asked them to cash my account and let it set there until I had a place to put it. I contacted a local credit union with a financial advisor. I asked Ameriprise to send the money to Texas Trust. They said I could not do that, only the Credit Union could make that request. So again we fill out the paperwork.The credit union sends the paperwork to Ameriprise.

Two weeks later nothing has happened so I called Ameriprise and asked when was the check mailed. They informed me that they were not allowed to tell me, the only person they would talk to would be the Credit Union. They told me to have the credit union contact the retention department. I asked for a phone number and they told me I did not need the number. If it was a legit request the credit union would have the number. So I called the Credit Union. They had no idea what was happening. They said they had no number for that department. Finally the credit union got through to Ameriprise and Ameriprise said the paperwork had not been stamped with a shield. No idea what that was but the credit union rep said she would talk to her supervisor and try to get them the proper paperwork.

Ameriprise contacted no one when the paperwork was not to their satisfaction. They refused to talk to me, it was ONLY MY MONEY. I have heard from others that many places like Ameriprise were cutting out personalized support if you did not have a large enough account. I am so angry and frustrated. Ameriprise. I have been with Ameriprise for quite a while. My account was transferred from H&R Block. They will never have any of my business again.

Ameriprise has been dishonest and completely unreasonable in regards to my Auto insurance policy. It can be terribly difficult to work with them because they don't truly listen, their customer service reps speak in a rude tone and very condescending manner, and they make statements about your account history that just aren't true. The company bombards you with tons of mail at times (duplicate letters), other times they don't send you letters they claim they sent, they only send paper policy cards, and they justify raising your rates or canceling your policy for no legitimate reason. Think twice before doing business with Ameriprise!

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Ameriprise is one of America's oldest financial planning companies and was founded in 1894 by Jonathan Tappan in Minneapolis. Ameriprise is a network of approximately 10,000 financial advisors dedicated to helping the consumer realize their financial aspirations. The company has over $800 billion in assets under management and administration. Additionally, the firm has over two million individual, business and institutional clients.

• Services: The company offers a breadth of financial services including advice and wealth management and asset management, as well as annuities and protection. Ameriprise also offers personal trust services.
  • Products: The company offers a variety of types of investments including stocks, bonds, mutual funds and exchange-traded funds through numerous types of accounts. Ameriprise integrates cash management products, certificates of deposit, lending solutions and credit cards as well. Their product line-up also includes insurance and annuity offerings.
  • Educational and client resources: The Ameriprise Confident Retirement program helps investors gain security with their financial planning efforts. Their robust research and market insight portal includes research tools, market insights, financial articles, calculators and a tax center. Ameriprise claims to have more certified financial planners than any other firm.
  • Best for Consumers looking for a dedicated financial planner, the newly wealthy, those experiencing household changes and the financially unsavvy will also benefit from Ameriprise.

Compare Online Financial Advisors