1.40/5
Get expert advice Hire a pro
Answer a few questions to find a great financial advisor. Compare the top 3 fiduciary financial advisors near you.
FIND MY ADVISOR

292 Ameriprise Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I had Ameriprise Auto for several years and never filed a claim. On my way home one day, I was rear-ended and ended up suffering a concussion verified by 2 different specialists. My case rep Karen assured me that my policy would cover me. I had 3 cars insured with them plus a stacking policy. Essentially, I was told that I was covered up to $60k without any issues. After a month of chiro and acupuncture, my vision was still messed up. I was told that I’d need to do vision therapy. Again, Ameriprise told me that I’m fine. So, I proceeded to get the treatments.

The vision therapist said that it would most likely take 6-7 months. After 2 months of vision, while still going to the chiropractor and acupuncture (3 months have now passed), I received a call from Karen saying that they are going to be refusing payment on all future claims and any claims made past 1 month of the accident. Stay as far away from them as possible! They are super nice to you on the phone or when you make your payments. But as soon as you need something, you can never get them on the phone. And forget about leaving them a message because they WILL NOT call you back.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Moved from Virginia to Coastal NC with my girlfriend. I had full coverage on my auto for many years. Paid my semi-annual payments in full every year since 1995. I added my girlfriend as occasional driver to my insurance. My Girlfriend has her own insurance with Geico and she also added me to her insurance policy as an occasional driver. Geico had no issues or other requirements with this addition to her policy. The Monday before Hurricane Florence arrived Ameriprise informed me that they reduced my insurance from full coverage to liability only. Which meant no collision or comprehensive coverage.

When I called to demand them to reinstate they initially refused due to pending Hurricane Florence. I was not able to seek other insurance either because of the Hurricane. After 3 hours on the phone they stated they would give me until the 19th. It was their mistake that my policy was reduced to liability that morning. I will be finding another insurance company and I recommend that other potential customers to stay away from this company. Costco needs to find another insurance company to endorse for Costco Members. Ameriprise is a dishonest company and definitely doesn't meet Costco standards.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I purchased auto insurance through Ameriprise feeling that since Costco was affiliated with this company it should be reputable. The rates were quite good for the policy. However, I hit a curb and damaged the front end of my car. Now that it is time to renew, my policy has increased by 50%. I will not renew with Ameriprise. I have purchased insurance through another company that was in line with the original price that I paid Ameriprise before I had the incident. The cost of the new policy with a different company reflects the damage claim. I had read so many reviews about cancellations and rate increases AFTER I purchased the Ameriprise insurance but before my incident. Add my name to the growing list of dissatisfied Ameriprise customers - actually former Ameriprise customers.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I actually have had Ameriprise for several years and have had no problems and loved the coverage. Recently we added a vehicle onto our insurance policy since I will have a new driver in a couple years and we purchased a vehicle for my child. We only use this vehicle to run an occasional errand on the weekend and it is also there in case any of our cars break down. So we have low mileage listed on the policy they needed verification so I put that we only drive it 5-10 miles twice a week, apparently they do not have calculators because they want me to put my estimated yearly mileage.

So I asked them if that is all I needed to complete and they said yes, so I just answered that question and sent back, that was not good enough. They want me to complete this form over and over again which is ridiculous. It has seriously wasted about 30 minutes each time so I asked for a higher up supervisor to help and that will take 2 business days for someone to get back to me. They want me to do everything right away but they can not find someone competent to handle my policy. Confusing!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Ameriprise is the worst insurance ever. I had a severe accident, and now have 3 protruding disks, and lost hearing, and have ringing in my right ear from my ear drum popping during the accident. Ameriprise refused to pay me for my injury claim, after they had told me they would be paying me my full injury limited amount. They are extremely unprofessional, and even though the accident was not my fault, they raised my premiums. Beware and do not make any dealing with this insurance company. There's a reason they have a lot of 1 star ratings!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I paid for auto insurance for years and then submitted the police report and a hit and run claim with damages estimated at less than $2,000. Ameriprise did not pay the claim and increased my premium. Also I paid premiums for years for an expensive long term disability care policy. When I called during a need recently they would not pay. Do not waste your money with Ameriprise/IDS. The complaints above have been filed with the Maryland Insurance Administration for assistance in getting my claims paid on matters that occurred last year, in the year 2017.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I signed up for the auto insurance online and the process seemed pretty easy. But they came back in a few days with a quote that was almost double the original amount because they found a accident record on file. While the accident was a minor one, in comparison I found that other insurance companies were able to pull this info based on my car details. It was a very disappointing experience and not something I associate with the Costco brand. I would not recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: July 31, 2018

This company will lure you in with great rates and then send out a adjuster to over insure your home and hike up your rates. They want me to tear up my living room and remove one of 2 wood stoves to just keep their lousy insurance. I have only been with them 1 month now. What a hassle. No thank you. Stay as far away from this company and homeowners insurance as you can. Very dishonest practice and company.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I locked my car key and the dog in the car this afternoon. I called the roadside assistance right away. And was told my policy doesn’t cover roadside assistance. I was astonished. I called the police department, waited in the rain and got the problem resolved. Then I called Ameriprise again to inquire about the price to add roadside assistance. I was told that my policy already has roadside assistance! I was more than upset with this company!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Ameriprise Ins. came in the lowest to insure our 3 autos. The service has always been good when I have to deal with them but we have yet to file any claims. We are considering a homeowners policy with Ameriprise if they cover our location. You can email, scan, fax, or call to send info or request info. If the phones are busy the option to email or scan is nice. But their pricing could be a little better.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Based on our positive experience with Costco, we assumed that the company would thoroughly vet all the companies it brings in to work with their customers. One the front end, Ameriprise appeared to be a solid company with good customer service. They did a great job getting us signed up and accepting our payments; however Ameriprise shows its true colors once you have to file a claim. My wife was in her car sitting at a red light and was hit by another car then our home was damaged by hail and falling limbs; neither situation was our fault however they have penalized our premiums severely. Basically you pay for insurance year after year but are no longer a valued customer when you are in need of the services you have paid for. In short, avoid this company and go with another company. Even if you pay more, it's worth it to not deal with the frustration and disappointment Ameriprise delivers. Shame on Costco!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Would not recommend Costco Ameriprise to anyone I care about. They are super, super frustrating and aggravating to deal with. They make everything so much harder than necessary. When I have tried to contact them I have been led in endless circles of talking to people, literally for hours, with the conversations going in circles, and being passed from one person to the next, but never being allowed to talk to anyone that actually has the ability or authority to do anything. I have literally spent months with Costco Ameriprise trying to resolve the simplest of issues. It does not appear to be possible to resolve anything with this company. The endless stonewalling appears very intentional. Buyer beware. Costco Ameriprise customer service practices make them look like a scam.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Avoid Ameriprise. I dealt with the Providence, RI office and Ray ** (CFP, Financial Advisor) and Jacqueline ** made dealing with, transferring money out and closing the account so much more stressful and difficult than it needed to be. When the financial advisor and his assistant both failed to help me, I forwarded all the details to the Ameriprise Corporate Officers for help... They did not even bother to reply. Here's the short list... They don't return phone calls or emails, they don't address your concerns or answer questions. Their only concern seems to be making money for themselves... Their clients do not seem to matter to them.

As an attorney, I recommend to all my clients to avoid risk whenever possible. Avoid Ray **, Jacqueline **, and Ameriprise to avoid unnecessary stress and expense. Just do a few minutes of research online and also take a look at the SEC charges and penalties levied against Ameriprise for more detail on their behavior.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I totally trust Ameriprise. I've had their Auto plan for several years now and they have been amazing from claims to service. I feel very secure having them insure my home now as well.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Costco promises that a customer saves $600 in average on auto insurance. We signed up online, answered all the questions and got a quote that was around $500 less than our previous insurance. We accepted the quote, canceled our old insurance and got new insurance cards. Two weeks past I received a letter from Ameriprise stating that they cannot grant us one of the discounts reflected in the quote and our premium increases by $670, which takes us above from what we had with our previous insurance. I had a long conversation with customer service rep, and then a manager, and was told that they received a report about a glass repair on one of our vehicles 6 months ago, and this is why they cannot grant us a “good driving record” discount.

In order to qualify for this discount you should not have any kind of claims for the past 6 years. They also explained that they run reports after they receive a payment from customers simply because the reports are too expensive. This is their business model. In our case we were able to reinstate our previous insurance, but still lost money paying Ameriprise for 2 weeks. I do not recommend switching, there is no real savings after all. Disappointing for Costco not doing their research properly.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I couldn't be more upset with such a garbage company like Ameriprise. My wife was rear ended at a dead stop on the freeway from their client who was going 40 mph plus. Needless to say my wife sustained a horrible whiplash and it was in her brand new Camaro that she saved up for so long to get and this woman said she didn't look up in time. Well no **. Anyways my wife and I forked out over 3000 for medical bills because we didn't have PIP and the doctor wrote her a note that had her out of work for over 3 weeks.

Well put those 2 together and it equals over 5000 dollars and that's not including the absolute hell she had to endure for another year after the accident. Her pain and suffering was terrible and these heartless ** will not offer more than 3000 dollars even though they already claimed 100% fault. Someone please help me as it has now been over a year and they continue to ignore our phone calls and emails and are just playing us like we are fools.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I have been with Costco Car Insurance Ameriprise for 20 years. Everything was fine until I made my first claim where I was at fault. They immediately doubled my rates for 2 years and then they quadrupled my rates. They told me that California law made it compulsory to do that. When they quadrupled, I went to State Farm, who immediately cut my premiums in half. I have always trusted Costco, but no longer.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Ameriprise has had the privilege of charging my credit card directly for premiums for over 20 years. In that 20 years I made no claims. Due to a glitch with my credit card they were unable to process a premium payment, so cancelled my policy (instead of calling me to correct the issue). When I called to reinstate the policy they elected to REFUSE RENEWAL with no grounds. NO GROUNDS. This is the most disgusting manner in which to treat a loyal customer. Period. This is who they are.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have had an account with Ameriprise Financial with a very tiny investment for many, many years, where I was literally making a few cents per year and so I had no incentive to even open my statements. I had shock when I recently found out that they have been charging me $15 per quarter to do nothing! So the value of my account dropped by 44%. They refused to reverse any of the charges and so I have closed out my account.

Original review: May 11, 2018

We had been an Ameriprise auto insurance customer for 17 years with no tickets, claims or incidents. We just paid our premiums on time and in full. Beginning last year, Ameriprise suddenly raised our premium with NO warning, because they said our stated mileage was too low. I gave them our vehicle's mileage which forced them to accept our low mileage and they had to credit our account. Then they began sending us regular mileage verification forms every few weeks, it felt like harassment to be getting mileage verification forms to complete so often. In March we had our very first claim since being insured with them since 2001. We were rear ended! We had only a two inch minor scratch in our bumper and our car is pristine!

The car that hit us had previously destroyed front bumper which they freely admitted was from a previous accident but claimed we backed up and wanted us to pay for their new bumper! The Ameriprise investigator was NOT supportive and appeared to represent the other party! It took more than a month to resolve the case in our favor. However, even though we were determined to NOT BE AT FAULT, they listed us in the system as at fault! How bad is that!! I CANNOT RECOMMEND AMERIPRISE AUTO INSURANCE. Our terrible experience is backed up by these awful reviews on the internet. Hardly meeting the Costco standard of excellence that we expect! We have changed to another company.

Original review: April 23, 2018

After several years we got a notice that our account had been moved to a group. No word about our adviser. After a couple weeks of trying to deal with the new group, I emailed our previous advisor. Found out our being moved was a mistake, but she neglected to notify us or get it straightened out. We were already unhappy since contact with our adviser had dwindled to nothing.

So, we moved our investments to a new company in mid January. We were charged TWICE the amount typical of closing an account, which by the way, is not just our Ameriprise account, but every IRA and every investment group we had we were charge $125 - which came to $650 just to leave Ameriprise. Normal fees are $75 per account. Plus we were charged service fees for all of 2018, instead of a prorated amount for just January. After numerous phone calls and emails to get our complaint to the right person we were directed to the Compliance Department. Their response has been to say, "We don't owe you anything, but we are committed to providing the best service possible." This company is lacking in integrity.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Having been a customer at Ameriprise for more than 20 years, I expected that someone would take over my account when my longtime adviser retired. I was wrong. I called last week to get some tax information. No one knew the answer to a simple tax question. My accountant was waiting on hold with me. We waited an hour. Then I asked why I had not been paid a distribution which was owed to me. No one could even find the account. After 4 hours, someone finally found my account and promised that the funds would arrive in my account three business days later.

I waited one day beyond the three business days to call and find out why my owed and promised funds had not been paid. The person I spoke with said the funds had not been paid because I had to have a special arrangement with my bank, even though all my other distributions had been paid to my bank account. Finally, the person suggested snail mailing me a check for less than the amount owed. I agreed just to end this horrible experience with Ameriprise. If you want good financial management, do not go to Ameriprise.

Original review: April 17, 2018

A heads up for those considering Costco's Ameriprise insurance coverage. As many would assume, I thought Costco would vet their service providers well and offer their members excellent service at a reasonable cost. The Ameriprise sales agent was good, assuring me of their "excellent service" and continuing lower than average rates.

I had my first accident in over 50 years, a relatively minor fender-bender costing Ameriprise $3175.90. I received no citations and no one else was involved. One of the agent's pitches was accident forgiveness. I called to confirm that and was told "yes" I had accident forgiveness for the first one. You guessed it. When the next premium bill came it was OVER DOUBLE my prior rates. When I called they verified (via the recording of our conversation) that I was told I had accident forgiveness but that was told to me in error. As I tried to work with the agent - and then the supervisor - on lowering the bill there was nothing they could do in spite my good driving record. Very disappointing experience!

Original review: March 30, 2018

We were driving to the airport and were going to be gone for 3 weeks out of the country due to family issues only to be pulled over by a cop bored and wanting to give out tickets. If we didn't have a plane to catch we would have gone to court to argue the speed she claimed we were going (speeding yes but not THAT much!). Unfortunately we couldn't and ** happens and when we got back we had found out our premiums were going to rise due to this. Ok... We accepted. We asked if there were ANY ways to get this removed from our driving record, take classes or something, and we were told no. Ok... We accepted. Since that happened, we went through a lot with that insurance... Changed 2 cars, dealt with a hit and drive in the parking lot OF COSTCO, and must have paid our bi-annual cost at least once.

Almost a whole year after that happened, we get a letter in the mail stating that they cant continue to provide us as it's against their company policy to serve with a major speeding violation on the account. NEARLY A YEAR OF PAYING A HIGHER PREMIUM AND ACCEPTING TO IT BUT NEVER ONCE BEING TOLD THIS. Never once was it mentioned that this was on our history and that we would be removed come a year. This whole time we were under the assumption that we went through and discussed this matter with an agent and paid the higher premiums and were never told we could even possibly lose our coverage due to this.

NEVER TOLD OF THE POSSIBILITY EVEN THAT WE WOULD LOSE OUR COVERAGE DUE TO THIS. Got nowhere with a manager on the phone and now we must sit down and try to find another company. If we had been told there was even a possibility of losing our insurance from the START, we would have considered other options long ago. This funny business of leading us on and having us pay more for MONTHS and then dropping us after nearly a year, is unacceptable. Hurtful, shameful.

Original review: March 28, 2018

In 2010, my wife and I bought $41,000 worth of CNL Lifestyle Properties REIT, which was solicited by our Ameriprise financial advisor. Worst investment of my life. In my struggles to get a 1099 that reflects my actual losses from the relatively small amount invested in CNL in our brokerage account, for my 2017 tax filing, I have come across multiple websites about lawsuits against Ameriprise regarding REITs, and perhaps worst of all an SEC action in 2009 against Ameriprise for soliciting inappropriate REIT investments from their customers (like me) in REITs from CNL and other companies. So a year before I was talked into buying into CNL, Ameriprise knew they were on thin ice at best with promoting these investments to their customers. I am now thinking about my own lawsuit against Ameriprise.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have been with Ameriprise for over 2 years. Purchased it because the monthly payments were less than other insurance companies, but assumed that was a benefit of being a Costco member. Got hit by a drunk driver and Ameriprise has turned into the devil! I have NEVER dealt with this much stress in my life! I have yet to have a REAL conversation with MY supposed assigned insurance adjuster and tears and begging to change to someone else has done nothing. THIS guy is the ONLY one I can talk too. Even after filing my claim and telling them what happened, they are treating me like the accident is MY fault, and until they can determine fault, I am guilty until proven innocent! THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE OF MY LIFE! I feel like I should be getting paid for all the work I am doing to try to get this claim taken care of, because they aren't doing a thing.

As of today, my car is in the shop...their recommended shop. My 3 quotes were $12,000...6,000 and their shop, $3500. I decided to go with their shop because the shop called Ameriprise and told them I needed a rental car because my car was unsafe to drive. I told Ameriprise this many times, but they did nothing until this shop called them. I asked them why their quote is so cheap and they said that Ameriprise wants them to use recycled parts...but the repairs are 100% warrantied. My account was just charged $101.00 from Hertz. Rental car is included in my coverage, but Ameriprise only covers a few days at a time. And do you think they would stay on top of my repair and estimated finish date. I guess not! I am so beyond frustrated. Save yourself the stress! Cheap is NOT worth it!

Original review: March 12, 2018

I wish I could give zero stars. I have had an IRA account with Ameriprise for several decades. Fortunately, it was a small amount, as it greatly under-performed my two main IRA accounts. However, that is not my complaint. About a month ago I attempted to move my IRA funds from Ameriprise to my primary IRA account as I have reached the age for Required Minimum Distributions. I will make this a short review. The transfer has required five phone calls -- averaging 30 minutes per call. When the funds were finally transferred, it was $124.75 less than my account showed. So my fifth phone call was to find out why the shortage and was told it would be reviewed, and I could call back in 48 hours to learn their decision.

Original review: March 11, 2018

After 20 years being insured with Ameriprise, accident free with no claims ever filed against us, things changed overnight the moment we filed a very small claim. Our rates went from $145.00 to $400.00 monthly. We were told by 3 different agents that our rates wouldn’t be affected because the claim was so small and not to worry and that’s why we pay for insurance. I advise everyone to never use this company and it’s a shame that Costco is connected to Ameriprise for its members. Clearly, they are not looking out for their customers. I would give them a negative star if I could.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I switched because of great prices and it's backed up by Costco. Biggest mistake thus far. My daughter got hit and I called Ameriprise to report the accident. They said because I didn't have full coverage on my daughters car, they couldn't do anything for me. I was told that I had to deal with the other party's insurance and figure it out with them. I explained to Ameriprise that it was a non fault accident, and I was told that even if it was an at fault accident, they wouldn't do anything for me. I've never had this type of service from my previous car insurance. A month later, I'm still dealing with the other insurance and Ameriprise is nowhere to be found. Yes, it's cheap, but as a paying customer, I shouldn't be doing all the work. I will be canceling my policy as soon as I'm done with this accident. Extremely disappointed in Ameriprise.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I have been a loyal customer with them for somewhere around 6 years. The behavior described below makes their claim “We reward loyal customers” a misrepresentation. They can make that claim only if you are never in an accident (your fault or not). I specifically asked them the first time I had another driver hit me and again when I had to make a uninsured motorist claim; will this affect my insurance? They flat out lied, “No not at all”. This came from one of their claims agents. I was just told (via phone) that they will not renew my policy because of our “Driving History”. “What history”, I asked? We have had no tickets or driving infractions and only two claims you had to pay for in the last 5 years. We have two cars and just bought a third.

Since 2015 we (three drivers) have experienced 5 accidents as follows: One at fault collision (my son hit another cars and cause damage to the bumper), three not at fault accidents (Ameriprise paid 0 for them. Other driver at fault) - two side wipes that resulted in damage to my car (one hitting party received a citation for failure to yield, the other did not receive citation because the police did not think the damage exceeded $1000, it did) and a rear ending at a stop light (all paid for by the other driver’s insurance). The last accident occurred last year 2017 Thanksgiving Day (an uninsured motorist rear-ended my son). This cost less than $1000 to repair.

Here is what I was told now (bait and switch), their agent I spoke to told me that their policy is not to renew insurance with this number of accidents, in a three year span, as it means we would file false claims. Excuse me! This is stereotyping slander on their part. I have in all the cases above provided them with every scrap of information I could gather (note they did no legwork at all. I did it) and provided it to them. I have provided them with proof of the driver’s identity and insurance information and they only paid for two repairs, the “at-fault” collision and the uninsured motorist. I’m being punished for things out of my control. This is an unethical business practice at the very least. They do not rewarded loyal customers with lower prices, in my case they handed out non-renewal notices. Rated 1 star because you cannot go lower.

Ameriprise expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ameriprise is an investment firm with an extensive range of online services. It was founded in 1894 in Minneapolis, where it is still headquartered. The company manages $750 billion in assets for over two million clients. Those with an Ameriprise brokerage account can make online trades of stocks and EFTs in their online account.

• Offline trading options: In addition to making trades online, Ameriprise clients can make trades over the phone, by talking to their financial advisor or by visiting a local office.

• Managed accounts: Ameriprise clients can choose to have a managed account with fees based on the assets in the account instead of a per-transaction basis. Investors can be actively involved in managing their account or be totally hands-off.

• Fraud protection: Ameriprise will reimburse clients for losses due to fraudulent activity on their account. Interested consumers should visit the website for specific terms and conditions.

• Resources: Clients with Ameriprise accounts can access informational resources to stay informed about market charges and economic topics. Resources include company overviews, news stories, stock quotes, technical analysis and more.

• Tools and calculators: Those considering how much to invest or save as well as individuals who aren’t sure what kind of investments to make can use the tools and calculators on the Ameriprise website for free. Tools include a net worth calculator, a compound interest calculator, an asset allocation calculator and more.

• Best for: Ameriprise Financial is best for individuals who want a significant amount of assistance making investments and hands-off investors.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs