3.32/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Ameriprise

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Ameriprise Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I get my insurance through my Costco membership & I OFTEN refer others as Ameriprise (you don't have to be Costco member but it costs slightly less & has more benefits when you are). Has been very competitive & customer service has always been very helpful & friendly. My last car caught on fire while on a trip to neighboring state & the adjuster made the process easy to deal with (I was all shook up & had no idea what to do next. He helped me through it all & never made me feel like I was a bother)...& took care of everything in a very timely manner.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I switched to this carrier, and have been pleasantly surprised at the savings and the quality of the service. They were faster to help me on the phone than my previous (nationally known) carrier - I had that previous plan through a broker. This I got through Costco. The coverage is identical but I am saving money each month.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I had this insurance company for 20+ years. They gained my trust when I first got them in my 20's. Because within a couple of months of signing up with them I had my first car accident. I had heard horror stories about how companies would drop you or raise your premiums way up. They did not do either of those things which was amazing to me. I don't know what I would/could of done if they had specially since I was young and broke. So until this day I truly recommend them, they are trustworthy and have great customer service. Also their rates are competitive with other insurance companies if you have a new car.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

When my wife was in an accident, I didn't have to go through the hassle of calling, waiting for a while, and then having to go through many hoops. They sent me an email, had me take pictures of damage and then followed up with a phone call. It was very quick and easy.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Have been with Ameriprise for 12 years. Have had a good driver discount for over 35 years. Never made a claim and have an excellent driving record. With having a low profile vehicle I hit a parking curb which caused damage to trim and bottom of front bumper. Ameriprise paid out $1,100 for repair. Received a renewal declaration which shows the insurance on this vehicle went up 300%, and overall policy for three drivers and three vehicle doubled due to the claim. The insurance policy will go up an additional $1,600 per year and surcharges will be applied for three years.

In speaking with Ameriprise I told them that is ridiculous and I’m now going to pay at least $5,000 in additional fees for a payout of $1,100. I was bounced around from the claims department to customer service and when asking why I wasn’t for-warned that filing this claim could not only triple the insurance cost on the vehicle, but also have the claim reported to a national database that will impact me when having to shop for new insurance. I obviously would not have claimed the accident and paid out of pockets if they would have informed me of the possibility of massive increase.

I even offered to reimburse them for the $1,100 they paid out..to no avail. Their excuse for not advising me of the risk to my policy was “that’s not the claims departments responsibility.” I believe that they should value the customers more by simply disclosing that the claim could have this massive increase. Extremely poor appreciation of a long term customer and calloused concern of financial impact to a customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I tried to rollover my 403b to another company. Not easy. It took 3 months. Multiple calls, send 1 form then need another and then another. Call center is not in the US. Didn’t seem to understand English when they wanted to. Had to talk to a US-based rep to complete transaction. Their processes are obstructive and make it very difficult to access your funds.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

After getting a decent quote savings of about 150.00 for a six month policy, I decided to switch. I have 5 cars and one is 30 years old, so in order to get full coverage they wanted pictures of all 4 sides. I called my previous carrier who came out and took pictures to begin my policy with them, so I forwarded those Pictures to them. This is when I goes south.

My insurance was due for payment at 1201 am on the 16th which happened to be Monday morning. I started the switch on Tuesday morning a week before. After talking to over 15 different people all telling me something different. They said underwriting hadn't approved pictures yet, it's now Friday and Molly was my last call on Friday after a dozen or so calls on Friday. She informed me that I should cancel my existing policy and call back on Saturday and if the pictures have not been approved yet for me to just put liability on that car and after they were approved full coverage would be back date.

So Saturday I called and was told that wasn't true by her Supervisor Jill. She informed me that a lapse in coverage with my other company would not be a good idea that I should pay the $680 to reinstate that policy and then they could insure me midweek after underwriting reviewed the pictures. And then I could cancel with my original carrier and go with them. What the heck. 6 hours of aggravation and lies and deceit. Stay away.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Based on a recommendation, I transferred retirement savings to a CFP w/ Ameriprise. They collected $500 to set up the account and take 1.25% every year of amount invested. They take this money regardless of performance, and my account lost money despite that the market was booming positively the entire time. The Dow, S & P, and Nasdaq, all trended up the entire time. The CFP's position was that he needed to diversify my funds from what I was doing with my work 401k funds and my work 401k was actually earning money. Basically, the entire 1 year experience with Ameriprise was disaster, not only because I lost value but also they are arrogant, and it took 2 months and complaints to authorities to get my money back out of them. They claimed they would waive the $125 transfer-withdrawal fee, but it didn't happen. They charged $125, reversed it, then charged again. So I need to elevate my complaint. This outfit is not trustworthy.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I currently have a claim open with them for a minor fender bender. I have a deductible of $250 and the total repair estimate is $1,110 for the vehicle I hit, no damage to the rental car. After paying them for years (about 9 years) this is my first accident and they have been a nightmare to deal with. The man that took the information for my claim was rude and sounded annoyed. They initially didn't want to help me because they had my apartment number incorrectly in their system so they couldn't verify who I was, even though they had the correct address under my renters insurance.

The person managing my claim won't answer questions and instead answers like a bot. I finally got fed up and paid out of pocket but I'm cancelling all my accounts with them. I'm also putting a complaint with Costco since I switched because they recommend this company to executive members. I was better off with Progressive since the one other car accident I've ever been in, also a fender-bender, was taken care of quickly and with great customer service. Ameriprise is a joke.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Long story short my car was rear ended, other company took responsibility. Ameriprise refused to pay for my medical bills, then my other car was stolen and they refused to pay for car. They said I used an address that was not my home-so I committed fraud and that will not pay. They are rude, condescending and the worst insurer ever. i used them for several year without issue. Never missed a payment. Lousy nasty entity.

Ameriprise expert review by Clark Kendall

Ameriprise is an investment firm with an extensive range of online services. It was founded in 1894 in Minneapolis, where it is still headquartered. The company manages $750 billion in assets for over two million clients. Those with an Ameriprise brokerage account can make online trades of stocks and EFTs in their online account.

• Offline trading options: In addition to making trades online, Ameriprise clients can make trades over the phone, by talking to their financial advisor or by visiting a local office.

• Managed accounts: Ameriprise clients can choose to have a managed account with fees based on the assets in the account instead of a per-transaction basis. Investors can be actively involved in managing their account or be totally hands-off.

• Fraud protection: Ameriprise will reimburse clients for losses due to fraudulent activity on their account. Interested consumers should visit the website for specific terms and conditions.

• Resources: Clients with Ameriprise accounts can access informational resources to stay informed about market charges and economic topics. Resources include company overviews, news stories, stock quotes, technical analysis and more.

• Tools and calculators: Those considering how much to invest or save as well as individuals who aren’t sure what kind of investments to make can use the tools and calculators on the Ameriprise website for free. Tools include a net worth calculator, a compound interest calculator, an asset allocation calculator and more.

• Best for: Ameriprise Financial is best for individuals who want a significant amount of assistance making investments and hands-off investors.

Profile picture of Clark Kendall
      Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Ameriprise Company Information