2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.30/5

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

Ameriprise Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I get my insurance through my Costco membership & I OFTEN refer others as Ameriprise (you don't have to be Costco member but it costs slightly less & has more benefits when you are). Has been very competitive & customer service has always been very helpful & friendly. My last car caught on fire while on a trip to neighboring state & the adjuster made the process easy to deal with (I was all shook up & had no idea what to do next. He helped me through it all & never made me feel like I was a bother)...& took care of everything in a very timely manner.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I switched to this carrier, and have been pleasantly surprised at the savings and the quality of the service. They were faster to help me on the phone than my previous (nationally known) carrier - I had that previous plan through a broker. This I got through Costco. The coverage is identical but I am saving money each month.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I had this insurance company for 20+ years. They gained my trust when I first got them in my 20's. Because within a couple of months of signing up with them I had my first car accident. I had heard horror stories about how companies would drop you or raise your premiums way up. They did not do either of those things which was amazing to me. I don't know what I would/could of done if they had specially since I was young and broke. So until this day I truly recommend them, they are trustworthy and have great customer service. Also their rates are competitive with other insurance companies if you have a new car.

Original review: June 18, 2020

This is probably one of the worst associations for Costco. The service is cheap for a reason because they do not want to pay for anything on a claim. I am currently without half my kitchen and a hole in my ceiling due to a leak from the dishwasher. The insurance company (now called Connect) won't send an adjustor to my home. We as home owners are not kept in the loop on communications between the adjustor and the contractor. We have to constantly call both parties to find out what is approved and what is not approved on our claim. Most recently I found out that I do not have a 'matching clause' on my policy which is why Connect will not restore my kitchen to what it was. This is by far one of the worst companies to work with. Please do not fall prey to their cheap prices unless you want to pay out a premium and get nothing for it.

Original review: May 19, 2020

As a Costco member, I've had pleasant experiences obtaining quotes from Ameriprise for replacement policies for auto, homeowners and umbrella. The combined cost of these 2020-21 premium quotes represents a significant savings when compared to my current carrier. However, after reading several dozens of reviews on this site, I am concerned and may not proceed.

I called Costco's membership services number at their corporate headquarters and expressed my concern about the volume of negative reviews of Ameriprise. I indicated I was a bit hesitant to switch to a Costco-partnered company unless Costco could assure me of two things: 1) there were no immediate plans to sever the relationship with Ameriprise, and 2) Costco would be wiling to get involved in any type of dispute between me and Ameriprise, if the need ever arose. The person with whom I spoke understood my concern and assured me that Costco would very likely have their escalation team get involved after a customer brought a complaint of this nature to the member services department. This was reassuring to hear, and I hope others who have negative experiences with Ameriprise do the same thing. This will be the only way Costco is made aware of the level of service being provided to their customers.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Nobody watching the hen house. Stocks that should have been sold were not [airline] and stocks that should have been held were sold. I'M NOT TALKING HINDSIGHT HERE. I LOST TENS OF THOUSANDS DUE TO POOR ADVISE AND MISMANAGEMENT. I hate to blame the WHOLE company because of a few ill informed financial advisers.

Original review: April 20, 2020

Auto Premium Increase. I would like consumers to be aware that I have been a customer of Ameriprise for over seven years. I have no claims and a good driving record. This month my premium increased $750 for no reason. I was told because I live in Los Angeles I have to pay more. While other companies are given discount during this terrible time, the horrible executive are charging me a substantial increase for no reason. Horrible company and they should be reported.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I was with my girlfriend At a park watching her son play basketball. When we returned to her car we noticed that hers and multiple other cars were vandalized. The damages were reported to Ameriprise. When the adjuster got the pictures from the repair shop he called my girlfriend and accused her of lying about the way the damages were done. He told her that the damages on her vehicle because they were on different places around her vehicle, were from separate instances and were done while she was driving. I was with her at the time on speaker and tried to explain to the young person on the phone that various other vehicles had gotten damages all the way around them at that parking lot.

As I tried to explain, the adjuster who sounded like he didn’t have very much experience kept interrupting and talking over me getting very defensive. I asked him how he came to his conclusion just based on pictures taken from the shop and without sending an Estimator to see the damages. But he insisted that we lied to him so he only approved the damages on the lifting door “which looked like something or someone got pushed into it” and not the passenger mirror that got broken off. I earn a decent living so I paid to fix the mirror for my girlfriend, but it isn’t fair that her vehicle got vandalized and instead of feeling comforted by the fact she has insurance, she was called a liar by the adjuster and her car wasn’t properly fixed. I thought that’s what insurance companies were supposed to do, take care of their customers and make them feel at ease. Instead of giving a person grief after they were victims of a crime.

Original review: March 26, 2020

I enlisted Colin **, at Ameriprise Financial, Heritage Wealth Advisors to manage my 401K rollover. It went pretty well at first, but then in late January 2020 I asked that we lighten up on equities because I was nervous about the coronavirus. I even hinted that it might be time to go to an all cash position. He did nothing. On February 11th, he emailed me an article on the Internet that said not to worry about pandemics they wouldn't impact your portfolio at all. I replied that I was still concerned, but he must know what he's doing? I guess we all know now how that ended.

If I hadn't asked him, politely, to move my money I wouldn't have been as angry as I am now, but he did NOTHING. I finally pulled my money over to TD Ameritrade and I'll save about $4K a year by not having a do-nothing advisor. To add insult to injury, Ameritrade took $75 or my remaining $275 after the sweep over to TD Ameritrade was nearly completed. Whatever you do, stay far, far away from Colin Sands and TD Ameritrade!!!

Original review: March 19, 2020

Months prior to the virus, my financial adviser, Scott ** never returned my calls. I had to call the main office to finally get him to call me back. Then he dropped me without telling me. When I called his office, I was told he was in England, only to find out a day later that it was a LIE when he answered the phone! He continued to lie stating that it was not him.

Ameriprise author review by Clark Kendall

Ameriprise is an investment firm with an extensive range of online services. It was founded in 1894 in Minneapolis, where it is still headquartered. The company manages $750 billion in assets for over two million clients. Those with an Ameriprise brokerage account can make online trades of stocks and EFTs in their online account.

• Offline trading options: In addition to making trades online, Ameriprise clients can make trades over the phone, by talking to their financial advisor or by visiting a local office.

• Managed accounts: Ameriprise clients can choose to have a managed account with fees based on the assets in the account instead of a per-transaction basis. Investors can be actively involved in managing their account or be totally hands-off.

• Fraud protection: Ameriprise will reimburse clients for losses due to fraudulent activity on their account. Interested consumers should visit the website for specific terms and conditions.

• Resources: Clients with Ameriprise accounts can access informational resources to stay informed about market charges and economic topics. Resources include company overviews, news stories, stock quotes, technical analysis and more.

• Tools and calculators: Those considering how much to invest or save as well as individuals who aren’t sure what kind of investments to make can use the tools and calculators on the Ameriprise website for free. Tools include a net worth calculator, a compound interest calculator, an asset allocation calculator and more.

by Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Ameriprise Company Information