1.24/5
Get expert advice Hire a pro
Answer a few questions to find a great financial advisor. Compare the top 3 fiduciary financial advisors near you.
FIND MY ADVISOR

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

318 Ameriprise Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Ameriprise auto insurance is total scam with outrageously high premium, charging at least 50% more than average. First online quote is low, and pretended the policy was issued. Later it will try to find faults with drivers, and hike the cost as high as 2X of the original quote.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Ameriprise is by far the worst insurance company that I have ever dealt with. I would not recommend this company to anyone, the simple fact that they are still in business is surprising to me, they have the worst customer service and after jumping thru all of their hoops and having perfect driving records they still want more information. Stay as far away from this company as possible unless you like misery in your life. I would rather pay more money for insurance from a reputable company than ever deal with this company again.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

When I first got my insurance I paid in full. When time for renewing did month to month and for some reason the payment wasn’t being deducted. I made a payment from my account. Unfortunately I am a government worker and was impacted by a shutdown - was on furlough. They canceled my account. I received unemployment. The next day called back they won’t expect the 251. They wanted the 503. I emailed someone and talked to someone. She said I couldn’t reinstate and that I could try back in a year.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Don't even think of using this company for anything. After 35 years of doing business with Ameriprise, they cheated us out of our LTC policy. Premium payment was managed by THEM from one of our accounts and when we switched to another account, they didn't switch the payment trigger and lapsed the payment and canceled the policy. Same story as others I see here... "Oh we sent you a letter which is all we had to do..." Even though the lapse was THEIR fault!!! So over $35,000 in premiums stolen in this little scam and worse $500,000 in benefits now gone. At 80, it's not even possible to buy LTC. THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE STOPPED!!! Class action anyone???

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have only one claim and they did everything to not pay me for the items covered under my policy. Even when I provided exactly what they asked for, they simply refused to cover the items stolen from me. On top of that the representatives were extremely rude. I was under the coverage for over 10 years and they treated me like a criminal when I needed the coverage I paid for. I would only suggest this company to someone I hated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Beware of service, it's non-existent and offensive: Today we found out our auto insurance had been canceled 3 weeks earlier. Due to a Credit card theft, 1 of the 2 payments was declined and while Ameriprise did call 1 time and left a message, they did not include in their message why they were calling. No further calls to say coverage was going to cancel. No emails. They did send a cancellation notice thru the mail and it was our fault for not opening the mail in time, we had NO WAY of expecting there was a problem. Our credit card was charged on December 1, 2018 for 6 months of premium. WE had no way of knowing they would be making a 2nd charge 1 week later so we didn't realize there was a problem. NOTE: The card was declined due to our card number being stolen and having a new card issued.

In all fairness, I accept some of the responsibility for the above. But, the real problem occurred this morning. I called Ameriprise to explain Credit Card issue and have our insurance reinstated, as was told by a customer service rep and a supervisor that Ameriprise could not (or would not) reinstate the policy. My only option was to call sales and start over.

I was extremely unhappy and asked the supervisor if this seemed at all reasonable, and she politely told me that's the system. Against all reasonableness and eating my price, (I need auto insurance. I have others driving with NO INSURANCE) I called Ameriprise Sales to buy a new policy. The sales rep reviewed old policy and said we would need to begin again, BUT I would need to send a cashier's check or money order and process could take up to 4 weeks.

I may not be the smartest human alive, but I now understood they didn't value customers who were trying to do business with them. In many years I don't think I have experienced anything like this terrible service or care. Nice tone on phone, no service or care for the situation. Addendum: 2 hours after getting off phone with Ameriprise supervisor, she called me to let me know Ameriprise would reissue policy. I told her I appreciated her time, but I had already been issued new policy with a competitor who was very happy to have the business.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

As you can see from the many, many ratings of "1" on this website, consider yourself warned. Ameriprise follows policies that are completely different than other companies. Don't just "assume" they do what the larger, more reputable insurance companies do. By their unorthodox practices, you will find yourself in trouble when you need them most because you trusted them to honor their end of the bargain (pretty much why their rates are lower-their service is inferior). One minor example, if your spouse has different car insurance, they FORCE you to list them as a primary. Consumers should be able to CHOOSE their company, not be forced onto a plan. Why this matters? Your spouse and any other family member under on THEIR plan, can directly influence the rates on your plan. Other companies DO NOT follow this practice. Be careful!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Give yourself a favor, stay away from this scam company. Since I am a Costco member I requested a quote from Costco website and was redirected to Ameriprise. They quoted me auto policy and I made first payment, few weeks later I received a letter telling me that my monthly payment will be almost double starting next month, so I called them to cancel a policy. They still charged me new next month price. When I called them got the answer that they not going to refund me that. When I called Costco they told me that they have no control over Ameriprise. What a shame for Costco to let their members to be scammed by scam insurance.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

In May I had a very minor at fault accident. Damage to car hit was $1003.85 to repair. The damage only amounted to white powder marks on the other driver's car that could be buffed out. Due to this incident my premiums have been doubled and I am now being charged a horrendous surcharge because the accident was $3.85 over Ameriprise's $1000.00 limit. After the accident, Brook ** the claims representative refused to tell me the amount that was paid for the claim. Their correspondence was vague, or non-existent. My rates have doubled, which has allowed Ameriprise to make up their $1000.00 loss in the first billing. In addition by refusing to inform me of the amount of the claim, they are not in compliance with California law, which requires that an accident with damage of $1000.00 be reported to the state in 10 days. The damage to my car was only $200.00. Since this was the only amount I had to go by I did not file the form.

Ameriprise is very difficult to work with. They bounce your call from call center to call center. Each time a new person has to put you on hold while they read the notes. My phone has a timer, I spent more than 30 minutes this morning, mostly on hold. A similar thing happened to my military son. He was hit not at fault, and Ameriprise doubled his rates, as well. Needless to say he switched to Safeco, and is very happy with their service. Beware of Costco and Ameriprise, this is really a bait and switch company. They only want you if you are perfect. By the way no matter what Ameriprise tell you, the state of California does not allow for first accident forgiveness. This was voted in by the voters of California in Prop 103. In addition they will not provide you with their surcharge schedule or the length of time they will impose the surcharge. They should have to provide their clients with this information. Terrible, terrible company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I have been insured by Ameriprise auto insurance for over 20 years. I had called several times in the past when my rate was increased but was always told that I should stay with them because I had accident forgiveness included in my policy because I was a loyal customer and that if I made a claim my premium would not be increased. I was told if I moved company this would not be available to me.

Six months ago my daughter had a small fender bender and I decided to make a claim because I was told this would not affect my premium. They paid out a little over $500. Six months later my premium increased by more than $1000 per 6 months. I was told although I had accident forgiveness we lost our safe driver record!!! So really there is no accident forgiveness. I went up the chain of command requesting a logical explanation but was never given one. I switched to another carrier. Please be careful with what they tell you on the phone. I have since found that this is common practice with Ameriprise and found lots of prior customers with the same complaint.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been with this company for more than 20 years. I insured my home through them since 1998. Recently I had a dog who bit someone. I called Ameriprise and asked them if the policy covers dog bites. The answer was YES. The claim was for $39.00. I called and asked them if my policy will be impacted if I do the claim. No one knows the answer. They promised to call me back but no one did. I went ahead with the claim. Last week, I received a letter that sates that they will not cover me because my dog has history of biting. I hope someone has mention it to me before the claim so I can just pay the person the $39.00. I called them and they said that's their policy and there is nothing they can do about it. The problem now is that I can't find an insurance company because the claim becomes accessible to all the companies. I will also file a complaint with Costco.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I was an auto insurance customer with Ameriprise (IDS) for 25 years. Last month I changed my online payment options and must have forgotten to hit "save" or something. They mailed me ONE letter which was missed due to travel and they canceled my insurance. I was on the phone with them for over an hour and they would not reinstate me despite my 25 year history with them (all with accurate ON TIME payments and a good driving record). The agent kept saying one mailed letter was only required step. I was forced to scramble for overpriced insurance to have continual coverage. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Last month, I received a renewal notice where my insurance increased. When I called them, I expressed I wasn't happy that although my car is a year older, my premiums were increased. I took off my auto-payment. TOTALLY forgot to put auto-payment back on and it was due yesterday. When I called today - the day after it was due, they said my policy cannot be reinstated. Therefore, I escalated it to the supervisor and she said I would have to go to another insurance company for a year - to prove I can make payments. I told them I made payments 17 years with them. They wouldn't budge. The only thing I can think of is that I had a parking incident last year for less than $1000. Other than that, I've been a loyal customer. NOT anymore.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

STAY AWAY!!! RiverSource is an insidious and corrupt company. My father is quite sick and needs the income from his annuity for end-of-life care, but no matter how may forms we fill out and fax and send registered mail, they always say it is the wrong form! These are the forms they are sending us! We ask them over the phone how to complete the forms, going through every single section and part of the form, and then when we submit it exactly as they requested and they say it needs to be resubmitted. Or they say they didn't receive it, or it went to the wrong department. We have now hired attorneys to deal with this situation at considerable cost. My father was always so responsible, I have no idea what idiot sold him this annuity but please stay away from this company. If your loved one is still alive and healthy just cancel your account with them. It's better to pay the penalty than to have to deal with their incompetence and stonewalling.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My mother had an annuity and when she passed away we closed this account. Well Ameriprise withheld some of the money and now after 3 years and tons of paperwork they are still playing the delay game. I will now be reporting them to the proper authorities as scam artist. Buyer beware: Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I purchased a new vehicle and called them to transfer my insurance over. I had been on my parent’s plan and wanted to go out on my own. They provided a good quote so I said I wanted to proceed. Then they told me that they would have to send me a new application in the mail and it could take a while to process it before I was insured. I was appalled. Not only had I been with them for 10+ years but they wouldn't offer insurance coverage for up to 14 days? I asked them if they could email the application and they said no. I asked them what I was supposed to do since I had just bought the car but wouldn't be able to drive it. They said to call ANOTHER insurance company for automatic insurance or rent a car.

This is 2018, they should figure out how to send an email. So I waited, and waited, and guess what, the application packet never came, and this was a whole week later. I called them and told them that it never showed up and guess what, they said they could EMAIL ME the application. Can you believe it? I asked them a week prior if they could and they said no, and NOW they can? They are very shady. I downloaded the email and had to snail mail it back to them since they needed a printed out version with my signature (apparently). I priority mailed it on a Saturday, but Monday was a holiday so it was guaranteed to get there on Tuesday. They had previously informed me that when they received my packet, that they would let me know. I called them Tuesday night and they said they didn’t get it. I called them Wednesday morning and it still wasn’t there. I called them Wednesday night and they told me that it had arrived.

I asked them why they didn’t call me and let me know and they didn’t have an answer. Originally they told me that once packet is received it takes 1-2 days to process and then you are insured and they call you and let you know that and they email you the insurance cards. Today on the phone he told me that it would take 4-8 business days to process it. This is horrible, luckily I have someone to take me to school and work but if I didn’t then this would be a nightmare. This process all in all will be taking 3 weeks. I have a feeling that this horrible company wants you to drive your uninsured car during this time, that’s why they drag it out. If you get in an accident and then come crawling to them, your insurance rate will be higher.

More money goes in their pocket. If it wasn’t for the fact that my rate is so low compare to everywhere else (yes I’ve called everyone) then I would have left Ameriprise the day I realized they don’t offer automatic insurance. I plan on leaving them in a few months since my driving record will be clean by then. Please don’t make the same mistake that I did. Get your auto insurance elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I agree with Steve from St. Paul MN. I also just found out that in Sept. of 2017 Ameriprise changed the wind and hail coverage on my insurance plan. I say it was without my knowledge, they claim they informed me. Ameriprise has become a shady outfit and I would not advise anyone in MN to get home insurance thru them.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have wasted dozens of hours trying to get quotes from Ameriprise and trying to get Ameriprise to honor the quotes I have been given. Typical problem: they give you a quote, ask you to fill out a form and email it back and then reject the form because you did not include the instructions on how to fill it out with the form! They give you a quote for auto insurance, instruct you to cancel your old policy with another company and when you phone back a half an hour later they withdraw the quote and refuse to give you a new one. To buy umbrella insurance, they will give you a quote, instruct to make changes to all your other insurance policies (with them and other companies) and again, when you phone back they withdraw the quote and refuse to give you a new quote. Their agents are polite and very good at apologizing - I imagine they are very experienced at apologies.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

When my wife was in an accident, I didn't have to go through the hassle of calling, waiting for a while, and then having to go through many hoops. They sent me an email, had me take pictures of damage and then followed up with a phone call. It was very quick and easy.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I moved my investment portfolio to Ameriprise to manage. Within the first few months, I had already lost a lot of money. I decided to take my portfolio info to six other financial companies and they all said that my money was not invested in the right place for someone getting ready to retire. I ended up losing a lot of money and switched to a small boutique advisor that is now having to spend a huge amount of time trying to minimize further losses and get my money allocated to minimize risk. I would not recommend using an Ameriprise advisor for manage your finances if you're getting ready to retire.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I gave my counselor what was probably the easiest job anybody has ever requested of a financial advisor. I told him "I don't need any more money. I don't care about a high return or any return. I just want a very safe place to park my money with no risk on the principal. You don't have to make me any money, JUST DON'T LOSE ME ANY MONEY." He recommended an investment. I put in $25,000 and within one week it had fallen to $10,000 never to recover. Of course I'm furious. But even worse, it makes me wonder if he had inside information, knew what would happen, and had some way of profiting from my instant boss. Was he being paid to dump that stock? I'll always wonder about that. I will never deal with them again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

If you live in MN and have Ameriprise Homeowners check your policy!!! There is a good chance that they have raised your deductible to 2% of your home value. My deductible went from 1000 to nearly 10,000 plus they then depreciate the roof on top of it. I noticed in a earlier review it also happens in other states. After call Ameriprise they told me that I was notified - It turns out I was but it was in very small print and for an increase of nearly $9000 you would think they would bring the amount to your attention. It is a deceptive practice. I encourage anyone with this type of policy to shop around. I had five bids and none had a 2% deductible.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

This is the worse company I ever had to deal with for my insurance needs. I bought auto insurance being a Costco member and I'm very disappointed as this company raised my rates after I purchased my policy. They didn't provide any reasons why. Very shady and not trustworthy at all. I spoke with managers and customer service to try figure out what happened. They didn't provide a straight answer. I will never advise anyone to deal with these crooks whatsoever. Unethical company and the worst customer service. Save yourself and stay away.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Had homeowner's insurance with Ameriprise for almost 10 years. I recently moved and decided to keep them for home and switch auto for the discount. After just a few weeks, they sent me a rather nasty notice that they are dropping my full coverage and requiring full payment due to my "insurability". Nothing's happened, I have a great record, and no issues. When I called them, they said the problem was I hadn't given them proof of a driver's license from the state I moved to. They were more than happy to switch me, and never mentioned this before. I would have had no problem sending them something, but if this is an indication of how they treat customers, I want no part of this scummy company. Will be switching both my auto and home to another company; glad they showed themselves for who they were sooner than later.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

They started jacking my premium as I turned 60, again at 65 and 70. No tickets or claims ever. When pointedly asked about it they assured me that was not the case. They said it was just market conditions. What a load of BS.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Two years ago I purchased homeowners insurance as a Costco Member and was directed to the Ameriprise company. Just recently filed a hail damage claim on roof and adjustor estimated $15,000 to replace. Buyer beware and knowledgeable! The policy had the deductible at 2% and was for Actual Cash Value as opposed to Replacement Cost. After my deductible and depreciation on the roof, I received a check for $3000. That's a 20% return on our claim. Couple roofing companies told me they'd never heard of Ameriprise and ALL of them called this a very bad policy.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I had Ameriprise Auto for several years and never filed a claim. On my way home one day, I was rear-ended and ended up suffering a concussion verified by 2 different specialists. My case rep Karen assured me that my policy would cover me. I had 3 cars insured with them plus a stacking policy. Essentially, I was told that I was covered up to $60k without any issues. After a month of chiro and acupuncture, my vision was still messed up. I was told that I’d need to do vision therapy. Again, Ameriprise told me that I’m fine. So, I proceeded to get the treatments.

The vision therapist said that it would most likely take 6-7 months. After 2 months of vision, while still going to the chiropractor and acupuncture (3 months have now passed), I received a call from Karen saying that they are going to be refusing payment on all future claims and any claims made past 1 month of the accident. Stay as far away from them as possible! They are super nice to you on the phone or when you make your payments. But as soon as you need something, you can never get them on the phone. And forget about leaving them a message because they WILL NOT call you back.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Moved from Virginia to Coastal NC with my girlfriend. I had full coverage on my auto for many years. Paid my semi-annual payments in full every year since 1995. I added my girlfriend as occasional driver to my insurance. My Girlfriend has her own insurance with Geico and she also added me to her insurance policy as an occasional driver. Geico had no issues or other requirements with this addition to her policy. The Monday before Hurricane Florence arrived Ameriprise informed me that they reduced my insurance from full coverage to liability only. Which meant no collision or comprehensive coverage.

When I called to demand them to reinstate they initially refused due to pending Hurricane Florence. I was not able to seek other insurance either because of the Hurricane. After 3 hours on the phone they stated they would give me until the 19th. It was their mistake that my policy was reduced to liability that morning. I will be finding another insurance company and I recommend that other potential customers to stay away from this company. Costco needs to find another insurance company to endorse for Costco Members. Ameriprise is a dishonest company and definitely doesn't meet Costco standards.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I purchased auto insurance through Ameriprise feeling that since Costco was affiliated with this company it should be reputable. The rates were quite good for the policy. However, I hit a curb and damaged the front end of my car. Now that it is time to renew, my policy has increased by 50%. I will not renew with Ameriprise. I have purchased insurance through another company that was in line with the original price that I paid Ameriprise before I had the incident. The cost of the new policy with a different company reflects the damage claim. I had read so many reviews about cancellations and rate increases AFTER I purchased the Ameriprise insurance but before my incident. Add my name to the growing list of dissatisfied Ameriprise customers - actually former Ameriprise customers.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I actually have had Ameriprise for several years and have had no problems and loved the coverage. Recently we added a vehicle onto our insurance policy since I will have a new driver in a couple years and we purchased a vehicle for my child. We only use this vehicle to run an occasional errand on the weekend and it is also there in case any of our cars break down. So we have low mileage listed on the policy they needed verification so I put that we only drive it 5-10 miles twice a week, apparently they do not have calculators because they want me to put my estimated yearly mileage.

So I asked them if that is all I needed to complete and they said yes, so I just answered that question and sent back, that was not good enough. They want me to complete this form over and over again which is ridiculous. It has seriously wasted about 30 minutes each time so I asked for a higher up supervisor to help and that will take 2 business days for someone to get back to me. They want me to do everything right away but they can not find someone competent to handle my policy. Confusing!!

Ameriprise expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ameriprise is an investment firm with an extensive range of online services. It was founded in 1894 in Minneapolis, where it is still headquartered. The company manages $750 billion in assets for over two million clients. Those with an Ameriprise brokerage account can make online trades of stocks and EFTs in their online account.

• Offline trading options: In addition to making trades online, Ameriprise clients can make trades over the phone, by talking to their financial advisor or by visiting a local office.

• Managed accounts: Ameriprise clients can choose to have a managed account with fees based on the assets in the account instead of a per-transaction basis. Investors can be actively involved in managing their account or be totally hands-off.

• Fraud protection: Ameriprise will reimburse clients for losses due to fraudulent activity on their account. Interested consumers should visit the website for specific terms and conditions.

• Resources: Clients with Ameriprise accounts can access informational resources to stay informed about market charges and economic topics. Resources include company overviews, news stories, stock quotes, technical analysis and more.

• Tools and calculators: Those considering how much to invest or save as well as individuals who aren’t sure what kind of investments to make can use the tools and calculators on the Ameriprise website for free. Tools include a net worth calculator, a compound interest calculator, an asset allocation calculator and more.

• Best for: Ameriprise Financial is best for individuals who want a significant amount of assistance making investments and hands-off investors.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs