3.39/5

341 Ameriprise Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 9, 2019

Ameriprise is the shadiest insurer I had owned. I joined them through Costco because of Costco's reputation. This is causing me to distrust Costco's recommendation of its affiliated recommendations and will no longer buy my car, book my travel and indeed purchase insurance due to my experience with Ameriprise. Ameriprise has made me buy insurance for 40,000 above my home value last year so I could have "good coverage and peace of mind." And when we had roof damage in January they did everything they could to not pay a penny on it.

They first sent us a small check for the amount of damage that did not cover half of the contractors estimates, yet when I asked how the adjuster came up with the estimate he did, they sent a "forensic company" come and give the reason for the damage, and although the original reason given by their adjuster was the same basic as the forensic company, they put a wonderful spin on it that it was a different reason and cancel the tiny check they had issued originally. You will only find out years (14 in ours) after they have collected all their premiums that they will not pay for your damages! Just beware before buying.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Through Costco, I applied for auto insurance through their partnered auto insurance company, Ameriprise. I filled in all the online fields accurately and was immediately declined insurance coverage due to a “not at fault” insurance claim from 8 months ago. Brief summary; traffic was stopped on an Arizona interstate, of which I was also stopped. While sitting there, a lady slammed into my rear end and damaged my car. She was insured and her insurance paid for the repairs. Ameriprise said their policy prohibits me for getting insurance quotes from them for three years. I have never made an insurance claim or caused an accident in my life. And get this... I was told that if I had been at fault, they would be able to provide me with a quote. What am I missing here? I am not unhappy with my current insurance provider, but I am shopping around to see if I can get better rates. Costco should look into this.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have Ameriprise car insurance for 8 years. Never had problems before and was satisfied with their service, never had at fault accidents and was always in time paying my fees. Everything was perfect until today. I called the company to make some changes to my policy and unfortunately got connected to the employee with the name Andy. He ruined all the positive experience I had with this company and now I think about canceling my policy. I really hope, he is not the real face of this company.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I would give 0 rating for the kind of service I am getting from Ameriprise auto insurance company. Reasons: I called Ameriprise on Monday morning for my windshield replacement and they hooked up me Abra shop for replacement. I placed order with Abra (shop) on Monday morning but looks they did not place. Did not order until Monday evening as they were not having my WIN (I had already provided it in the morning). Abra called me again on Tuesday mentioning OEM glass claim is not approved. So frustrating thing for me is: why Ameriprise or Abra (shop) did not figure out that OEM glass in not acceptable on Monday morning itself I lost my day here.

Tuesday I asked Abra (shop) to go ahead with normal glass. They scheduled my appointment for Wed morning, I got call from them on Wed morning then they said they need to move it noon since they did not get the glass. Noon appointment they moved it next day morning Thursday morning and they did not call me Thursday morning. I made a follow up call and they said we need to move it again to noon with same epic reason glass is not received.

My frustration is why are they scheduling appointment again and again and ending up rescheduling. I need to leave my car at home, do Uber and come to office.

I am not worried about delay but what frustrates me is I have keep my slots free for Abra everyday to come and pick my car. Why cant they give proper ETA. Doesnt how late it is. For this reason I called Ameriprise insurance and they said, "We cant help with it. It's shop problem." My point is this shop is in network for Ameriprise and I pay premium to Ameriprise not to shop, so instead of taking care Ameriprise just mentions to me this happens. How on earth someone expects me to wait for their call everyday and plan day according to them.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I chose to insure with Ameriprise because I'm a heavy Costco spender & that is where I learned about Ameriprise. I had no issues with them when I signed up. When renewal time came they failed to notify me on time. Now my insurance has lapsed & they won't insure me. They are responsible to notify the insurer when payment is due. They failed to do so. I am shocked on their behavior. They don't use paperless billing which caused their invoice to me to go missing in the mail. How convenient.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Original review: June 17, 2019

I was a loyal customer to Ameriprise for almost 2 years with home insurance and Costco member for more than 4-5 yrs. I did not knew even if you inquire about a situation. In my case I did inquire if I covered for water damage in my basement when my hot water broke and we had water in the basement. Which if I am not wrong was told I do not have that particular coverage. Then I decided not to take that nor I made any claim for that and moved on.

Now taking new insurance for my new house, I was never told upfront that would affect just the inquiry and not even made a claim. I was proceeded with the normal quote and after asking me multiple document about oil tank for new house which I provided later was told it was not needed. After few weeks when I called to follow up, someone told me I cannot get insurance from Ameriprise because I inquired about the water damage. You cannot even inquire about the possible option??? Why do we take insurance to feed your employees?? Or Insure our property?? Such a shame. I would never recommend your company to anyone. Thanks.

Original review: June 16, 2019

I had collision coverage on my cars with them, just to find out that my car was not covered when I had an accident. They said my collision coverage was 'limited' coverage and only covered the collision damage if was at most 50% at fault. I would not get any coverage because I was more than 50% at fault. When I chose the coverage, it never showed it was a limited coverage. I had always thought I had full coverage. Typical bait-and-switch scam. Avoid them at all cost!

Original review: June 9, 2019

I signed up for Ameriprise through Costco because I was quoted a good rate. When I filled out the quote online, I checked the box stating I wanted liability ONLY with the state minimum 15/30 limits for coverage because my vehicles were 11 and 18 years old. It turned out they changed my coverage on both vehicles so that they were fully insured for 100,000/300,000 limits. This was absolutely ridiculous on vehicles that were paid off and only worth $6,000 and $2,000 respectively. I called to complain as well as emailed a complaint regarding the excessive coverages and demanded my money back.

Although Ameriprise has acknowledged receiving my complaints and told me a supervisor would call me, they still have not called or refunded my money and it has been six months. The company also cancelled my policy shortly after my first complaint stating it was because I had a speeding ticket on my record. I believe they actually cancelled my policy because I complained about the excessive coverage and demanded a refund. I am now filing a complaint with Costco and the California Department of Insurance.

Original review: June 6, 2019

My vehicle was broken into (2 windows were shattered) and merchandise was stolen so naturally, I filed a claim (why else do I pay for insurance). The representative denied my claim for a bogus reason. I called Ameriprise back for an explanation. They stated that they will not cover the merchandise because one of the people with us (mother) was not on my policy but their belongings were in my car. My policy under damage to the vehicle clearly states they will cover my and relative belongings.

I asked the representative to show me where in my policy does it state what he was insinuating. He stated I will have to do some research as to why he denied my claim. I asked him, "If you denied my claim without doing research to my policy or not know where in my policy it states your explanation then why did you initially deny the claim?" His reasoning was because of Ameriprise/Costco trains them to deny any claim first. I will follow up with BBB and contact my attorney.

Original review: May 21, 2019

They have been a terrible company to work with. We’ve been Costco and Ameriprise customers for over 20 years with one claim nine years ago. They raised our premium from $1,000 to $6,000, and they don’t have any other options. We are canceling our policy immediately.

Original review: May 16, 2019

They are cheap for a reason. When you need them for a claim good luck getting any peace of mind. This company is in complete disarray from their management down to the CS reps. My claim has been lost and passed to 11 different agents and I've had to repeat and resubmit dozens of items. Lost payments, taking double payments on some months, not returning phone calls or emails, lying and providing wrong statuses on my claims, you name it! I'm very surprised that Costco would still be doing business with this shady business.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Some facts to consider. I was covered Ameriprise through Costco. 12+ years accident free and 7 years with them. I was involved in a head on collision in which the other driver came onto my lane. Court ordered to testify against the other driver with alleged negligence. Even the police cited the other driver and questioned her at length, while they just checked on me to make sure I was ok. I called Ameriprise right away to report the incident and was shocked by the response. I was actually very calm in my state and told them how the accident occurred. I then asked on my options to tow the vehicle. That's when it went south.

Literally, I was faced with hostility and arrogance that it may have been my fault. Excuse me, why point the finger without the police report?! I told the person on the other line that all I wanted was some assistance on who to call and what was needed to record for the claim. They became frustrated and argued their point. Sorry buddy, not what I need at this time. He basically gave no advice for a simple ask, no sympathy and that a claims person will call me in a few days. Not what I expected from Costco and their high standards for customer service. Yes, I left Ameriprise and stopped paying their high premium rates for what?!

Original review: May 14, 2019

We are not insured by Ameriprise but have had to do business with them by way of an accident. We were rear ended by a person insured through Ameriprise and they have run us through the ringer in trying to settle the claim. We are not someone who is trying to take advantage of an unfortunate situation or trying claim an injury to get undue compensation. We just want to settle the claim for our vehicle. We’ve found Ameriprise’s integrity is less than honorable. They required us to pay for an assessment that they won’t honor then they only offered to pay about a quarter of the assessment. This is an accident where we were at a stand still when hit and their insured who even admitted to be at fault. I highly recommend NOT doing business with this less than honorable company.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Rate went from $633 to $937 for six months. I called to inquire. Agent acknowledged I have no accidents or tickets. I pointed out that a 50% increase in less than a year is abhorrent. She was rude and snotty and told me to consider people that do have tickets and accidents and how much their rates went up. I told her I don’t care about other people’s driving records. I canceled and switched to GEICO and pay less than I was paying BEFORE the rate increase. AMERIPRISE and COSTCO can go, you know.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I am perfect driver, no tickets, perfect record in California. Had Ameriprise 5 years - no claims ever. Had one incident me at fault although not negligence or unsafe driving - Got new bill today - raised my rates from $688/yr up to 1789/yr! I was sure was mistake - called - they were snotty, vague, said I lost my "safe driver" and tough luck basically. At time of incident I could not reach them, the rep was snotty and sarcastic, made my situation worse.

Today I called and got 3 quotes (of course it's higher now with one at fault), but the worse one was $400 more per year - so 1100/hr or so. I went with Liberty Mutual for 1000 or so/hr - just $300 more for better coverage as well. I was told by all 3 companies that to raise my rates almost 3X more with this one incident was something very unusual and weird and not normal. There is no hidden other fact here, this is just how it happened. So maybe think before we take the "cheapest" insurance? My advice - DO NOT deal with Ameriprise. I also found out that they are not even licensed to sell in California.

Original review: April 22, 2019

They placed me in sales of securities and transactions that were best for them with high prices. They locked me in to accounts that I cannot move and have to pay them a fee. Stay away. They want your money and are to not looking to help you.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have been with Costco Ameriprise since 2008, faithfully paying my premiums, never had a claim until last Fall when a driver two cars behind me couldn’t stop at the light and pushed the car in back of me damaging my back bumper. Total cost of repair: $1045 plus one day car rental that was completely reimbursed by that driver’s insurance company.

Ameriprise has increased MY renewal premium by $670 per year. When I called to complain I was told it wasn’t really an increase but that I had lost my “good driver discount” until I am accident and claim free for SIX years. No matter that I, the good driver, was legally stopped at the signal light nor that they were completely reimbursed by the other insurance company. This will cost me $4,020 over the six-year period. Had I known I would have just paid this out of my own pocket. When I said as much to the Ameriprise rep I was told that it wouldn’t have mattered as the other insurance would have reported the claim to them as the insurance companies all share the information.

Original review: April 8, 2019

They make very simple business and finance brokerage transactions needlessly complex. Client IDs, Group IDs, Account #s and a full staff they use for shuffling you around and wasting your time. I have had multiple hour long sessions with them.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have used Ameriprise AUto Insurance through Costco for 10 years. Never filed a claim. Never had any kind of speeding ticket or violation. Then I bought an RV in Oct 2018 and covered it also. When I told them in Nov 2018 that I planned to live in the RV full time for 2 years until I retire, they told me that they couldn't insure the RV but had 'affiliate' companies that would 'be happy' to provide the coverage I would need for the RV. They gave me a phone number to call and I could never get through to the number. Now, fast forward 5 months and Ameriprise is telling me they are going to drop me as a client because I am living full time in an RV. Wow, that's a big thanks for taking my money for TEN years and never needing to pay out a single dime.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Have had car insurance with Ameriprise through Costco for several years. Were dry happy with the price and service since we are very good driver, until my 18 y/o daughter received her license. I called to get a quote. Next thing I know Ameriprise representative stated that their policy requires that I must purchase my daughter insurance since she is now “exposed” even though she is not driving. Told them that I am not by law required to purchase insurance for her since she does not own a car and is not driving. No matter. Didn’t know and found out that Ameriprise went ahead and signed my daughter up for liability without my consent after a few days later when my wife called to investigate pricing.

They said they have processed the billing and plan to send me a bill the following month! I had no idea they were going to do that! What a absolute scam! Lost my temper and Dropped them! Found Progressive, good so far. So disappointed since Ameriprise is associated with Costco. I have been a member of Costco for more than 25 years and so happy with the company. But Ameriprise is an absolute disappointment!!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I wish I would seen these reviews before using Ameriprise. They are very set in their ways and will not bend, even if they admit it's their fault. I tried for three months to have them change my auto withdraw billing to the 11th of the month, instead of the first. They continued to try and pull funds at the first of the month. When I called them they said, "You are no longer qualified for monthly billing."

Then they said I would need to rewrite the policy for the 11th of the month if you want to be billed then. Because I said yes to rewriting the policy, they now wanted to charge me an additional $500.00 per year with no explanation. When I refuse to pay the higher amount and keep the policy the same, then then said, "You owe over $900.00 because you are no longer eligible for the monthly payment." I asked them if they had the recorded calls about me trying to switch the billing, they said yes but refused to bend. It's too bad Costco has chosen this company and is continuing to endorse them. Costco, should step in and correct these problems and choose another carrier. I went to Progressive and was treated very kindly with less cost than Ameriprise.

Original review: March 15, 2019

First of all, I would highly recommend everyone who wrote a review about Ameriprise to file a complaint with their State Insurance Commissioner and write to Costco to inform them about this company. IMO, this company should be shut down. They're only in existence to collect your premium, when time to provide service, they cannot provide any decent service. Having Ameriprise as an insurance company is just like NOT having insurance coverage at all.

I signed up for them because my sister-in-law informed me that they have a lowest rate. Since I'm a Costco member, I thought that it must be a good insurance company because it's associated with Costco. So, I have them for few years for both home and auto insurance coverage. Last year, when I sold my house and I told my buyer about Ameriprise Homeowner Insurance, he immediately informed me that his Insurance Broker can get him an exact same policy for much less. Ameriprise is functioned as an Insurance broker for homeowner policy in my case.

In regard to Auto, last year, I have two occurrences. First, someone rear-ended me, he gave me his insurance information. I then called Ameriprise and provided them with the other driver's insurance information with the hope that they would take care of the claim for me. To my surprise, the lady who works in the claim department told me that since the other side is at fault, I'm on my own. I should file the claim by myself, then hang up.

Secondly, my car key was out of battery, the key was inside my purse which is inside the car. Since the key cannot communicate with the car, it locked me out. I called Ameriprise's Road-side assistant service, I was told that a towing company will be there within 45 minutes to unlock the car for me. 45 minutes turned out for 2 hours, but no-one show up. Within the subsequent 3 hours I was constantly calling Ameriprise's Road-side assistant, at first, she told me that she'll contact other towing company and the 2nd company will be there within 1 hour.

Eventually, when no-one show up, I called back, they finally confessed that they only have ONE towing company in their database and that towing company is located in Southern CA. I'm located in Northern CA. Make a long story short, I waited until 3:00 AM the next morning, then a towing company finally showed up. I asked him where is he driving from, he told me that he's located in Monterey County which is 2.5 hours drive from San Jose. So, for a simple unlock a car, it took them 8 hours to provide this service. Fortunately for me, I was at someone's house. Can you imagine if I was on the freeway or on the street during the winter cold, I could have die without a car and a phone (phone was inside the purse inside the car).

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Ameriprise auto insurance is total scam with outrageously high premium, charging at least 50% more than average. First online quote is low, and pretended the policy was issued. Later it will try to find faults with drivers, and hike the cost as high as 2X of the original quote.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Total idiots that you should stay away with insurance. I can't believe these ** are recommended by Costco. Bunch of morons altogether. I had the 'pleasure' to be part of their insurance clientele for a year. They kept increasing the premium with ** customer service. After a year I had it enough a cut the ** out. Stay away, even better run away.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Ameriprise is by far the worst insurance company that I have ever dealt with. I would not recommend this company to anyone, the simple fact that they are still in business is surprising to me, they have the worst customer service and after jumping thru all of their hoops and having perfect driving records they still want more information. Stay as far away from this company as possible unless you like misery in your life. I would rather pay more money for insurance from a reputable company than ever deal with this company again.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

When I first got my insurance I paid in full. When time for renewing did month to month and for some reason the payment wasn’t being deducted. I made a payment from my account. Unfortunately I am a government worker and was impacted by a shutdown - was on furlough. They canceled my account. I received unemployment. The next day called back they won’t expect the 251. They wanted the 503. I emailed someone and talked to someone. She said I couldn’t reinstate and that I could try back in a year.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Don't even think of using this company for anything. After 35 years of doing business with Ameriprise, they cheated us out of our LTC policy. Premium payment was managed by THEM from one of our accounts and when we switched to another account, they didn't switch the payment trigger and lapsed the payment and canceled the policy. Same story as others I see here... "Oh we sent you a letter which is all we had to do..." Even though the lapse was THEIR fault!!! So over $35,000 in premiums stolen in this little scam and worse $500,000 in benefits now gone. At 80, it's not even possible to buy LTC. THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE STOPPED!!! Class action anyone???

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have only one claim and they did everything to not pay me for the items covered under my policy. Even when I provided exactly what they asked for, they simply refused to cover the items stolen from me. On top of that the representatives were extremely rude. I was under the coverage for over 10 years and they treated me like a criminal when I needed the coverage I paid for. I would only suggest this company to someone I hated.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Beware of service, it's non-existent and offensive: Today we found out our auto insurance had been canceled 3 weeks earlier. Due to a Credit card theft, 1 of the 2 payments was declined and while Ameriprise did call 1 time and left a message, they did not include in their message why they were calling. No further calls to say coverage was going to cancel. No emails. They did send a cancellation notice thru the mail and it was our fault for not opening the mail in time, we had NO WAY of expecting there was a problem. Our credit card was charged on December 1, 2018 for 6 months of premium. WE had no way of knowing they would be making a 2nd charge 1 week later so we didn't realize there was a problem. NOTE: The card was declined due to our card number being stolen and having a new card issued.

In all fairness, I accept some of the responsibility for the above. But, the real problem occurred this morning. I called Ameriprise to explain Credit Card issue and have our insurance reinstated, as was told by a customer service rep and a supervisor that Ameriprise could not (or would not) reinstate the policy. My only option was to call sales and start over.

I was extremely unhappy and asked the supervisor if this seemed at all reasonable, and she politely told me that's the system. Against all reasonableness and eating my price, (I need auto insurance. I have others driving with NO INSURANCE) I called Ameriprise Sales to buy a new policy. The sales rep reviewed old policy and said we would need to begin again, BUT I would need to send a cashier's check or money order and process could take up to 4 weeks.

I may not be the smartest human alive, but I now understood they didn't value customers who were trying to do business with them. In many years I don't think I have experienced anything like this terrible service or care. Nice tone on phone, no service or care for the situation. Addendum: 2 hours after getting off phone with Ameriprise supervisor, she called me to let me know Ameriprise would reissue policy. I told her I appreciated her time, but I had already been issued new policy with a competitor who was very happy to have the business.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

As you can see from the many, many ratings of "1" on this website, consider yourself warned. Ameriprise follows policies that are completely different than other companies. Don't just "assume" they do what the larger, more reputable insurance companies do. By their unorthodox practices, you will find yourself in trouble when you need them most because you trusted them to honor their end of the bargain (pretty much why their rates are lower-their service is inferior). One minor example, if your spouse has different car insurance, they FORCE you to list them as a primary. Consumers should be able to CHOOSE their company, not be forced onto a plan. Why this matters? Your spouse and any other family member under on THEIR plan, can directly influence the rates on your plan. Other companies DO NOT follow this practice. Be careful!

Ameriprise expert review by Clark Kendall

Ameriprise is an investment firm with an extensive range of online services. It was founded in 1894 in Minneapolis, where it is still headquartered. The company manages $750 billion in assets for over two million clients. Those with an Ameriprise brokerage account can make online trades of stocks and EFTs in their online account.

• Offline trading options: In addition to making trades online, Ameriprise clients can make trades over the phone, by talking to their financial advisor or by visiting a local office.

• Managed accounts: Ameriprise clients can choose to have a managed account with fees based on the assets in the account instead of a per-transaction basis. Investors can be actively involved in managing their account or be totally hands-off.

• Fraud protection: Ameriprise will reimburse clients for losses due to fraudulent activity on their account. Interested consumers should visit the website for specific terms and conditions.

• Resources: Clients with Ameriprise accounts can access informational resources to stay informed about market charges and economic topics. Resources include company overviews, news stories, stock quotes, technical analysis and more.

• Tools and calculators: Those considering how much to invest or save as well as individuals who aren’t sure what kind of investments to make can use the tools and calculators on the Ameriprise website for free. Tools include a net worth calculator, a compound interest calculator, an asset allocation calculator and more.

• Best for: Ameriprise Financial is best for individuals who want a significant amount of assistance making investments and hands-off investors.

Profile picture of Clark Kendall
Clark Kendall Personal Finance Expert

Clark Kendall has over 30 years of domestic and international investment and wealth management experience, focused on serving Middle-Class Millionaires. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Accredited Estate Planner (AEP) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP). He is the president and CEO of Kendall Capital in Washington, D.C., and a member of the Washington Society of Chartered Financial Analysts.

Ameriprise Company Information