1.20/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Ameriprise

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

243 Ameriprise Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Involved in an accident with an individual insured by Ameriprise. Ameriprise verified coverage but refused to pay the claim. According to their claims rep, if they are unable to contact their insured to discuss the accident they can deny the claim. Despite this fact, their insured still has coverage under his original policy.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

During the recent wildfires in Southern California, I received a phone call from a representative at Ameriprise Insurance checking to make sure my family and I are okay and if I needed to open a claim due to any possible damage. What great customer service!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I could not get straight answers from my representative at Ameriprise. I got a lot of sales talk that later proved to be untrue or misleading. Turns out they have the highest fees and penalties in the industry and I had to wait 10 years to get my investments away from Ameriprise without having to pay huge fees. Their statements are very difficult to understand. I'd never recommend them to anyone!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

They cancel my insurance with any notice, was talking with a representative and send me to customer service and wasn't customer service, was a different car insurance company. They want to sell their customer to other car insurance company without customer permit. I don't recommend Ameriprise Car Insurance from Costco Company.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Ameriprise sold my 77 year old mother worthless REIT's, collected a huge commission. The REIT could not be traded and the value went to "0". Big loss for my mother who's living on social security and her investments. Don't trust these people to have your best interest in the trades. They want to sell you! They're after commissions. Just do some research about litigation and complaints against them, then go find yourself a good financial manager!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I paid for my disability policy for 20 years. When my husband died I needed to start collecting on the policy. I am the sole proprietor of a business. This means I had to send documentation of my income and expenses. I did not understand what they wanted at first. The problem is that the company did not call to let me know they needed something different. I waited three months. When I didn't hear anything I called them. I couldn't get through to anyone. I had to leave a message. I left three messages with no return phone calls. So I called my Ameriprise Financial advisor who called the Disability company on my behalf. I was extremely frustrated at this lack of responsiveness to my needs. I was a grieving widow. The experience with Riversource (through Ameriprise) made things harder than they already were.

Another aggravating thing was that the person handling my case told me several times that he did not receive my faxes. I eventually got a call from the company to say that my fax did not include my account number and therefore it was being discarded. The fax had my name and the name of the person handling my case. So I guess I am a number to this company, not a person. That explains why the person handling my case did not receive some of my previous faxes. Of course, they could have notified me of that sooner!

When I called the head of the department to complain, it was another ordeal. She told me to figure out the time of the call and who it was that called. I couldn't do that. So she explored it at the company. After a day she called me back to say that nobody had called me and the fax had not been discarded. So she essentially told me I was a liar! According to her I made the whole thing up! My financial advisor got a special fax cover page from Riversource that she said I should use. Ok fine. But why didn't the company give that to me right at the beginning? I am still dealing with this company. It is extremely frustrating. I feel very disrespected. It's about the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

My 84-year old mother and now-decease father paid into this farce of a policy -- in good faith -- since 1994. Now that my mother needs assisted living because she has cognitive impairment, RiverSource will not pay our claim in spite of the fact that cognitive impairment is one of the triggers that is listed on the policy. They sent out an assessing nurse who did a BIMS test on my mom. My mom was able to eke out a passing grade on the BIMS test. The BIMS test is unfair. The assessing nurse asked Mom after only a minute, to recall three words. If she had asked her to recall those three words after ten minutes, she couldn't have done it. Staff at the facility know that she has cognitive impairment.

Family and friends -- even her physician's attentive nurse -- know that she is a changed person. She used to be smart, sharp, and quick; now she struggles. If she could take care of her own bills, medications, shop for and prepare meals, etc. we wouldn't have moved into assisted living in the first place! Do they really think Mom WANTS to be there? Of course she doesn't, but she realized it was a necessity when she couldn't find a local, familiar restaurant. She has even said to us kids, "What is wrong with me; have I had a stroke?" Documentation that supports all the above has been submitted to RiverSource from staff at her facility and her primary physician. Still they deny benefits. Her 100-day deductible ended on April 6, 2017. In my opinion they should have begun paying her claim on April 7, 2017. I am incensed that a huge conglomerate would do this to anyone! Where are their ethics?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Ameriprise isn't really insurance. They're a loan company. If something happens, they'll do everything possible to keep you from filing a claim via abysmal and slow customer service - and if that doesn't work your rates will skyrocket to cover every dime they give you and more. Had them 8 years for Home, Auto, and Umbrella - they collected tens of thousands during that period. I had one at-fault incident vehicle incident with $2,200 in damage. I paid $4,000+ in additional fees over the next 3 years for that mistake. A year later, after that accident was off my record, I was rear-ended by a 100% at fault other-driver with flaky insurance carrier (and even a verified witness stating it was all the other driver's fault) and Ameriprise said they'd be raising my rates again if I filed a claim through them. The damage was less than $1,000 and even with 3 policies through them they still couldn't be counted on. Goodbye and good riddance.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I have been a loyal customer of Ameriprise for thirteen years. I have both a homeowner and automobile policy. Today, I called to ask if my automatic payment could be delayed until the middle of the week, so I could make a deposit to cover the insurance payment. I was told the company has a new policy and they can make one change during the life of the policy. Their records show in 2015, I requested a change to my billing, so unfortunately my request was denied. I plan to cancel my policy. I have also changed the way I do business. If a company does not provide me with respect and consider me worthy to accommodate my requests, I cancel my services. It's time the American people make businesses earn our trust.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I had a Renters Insurance policy. In July 2017 had several days of bad storms. The ceiling in my living room came down on me while I was sitting on the couch. I was scraped up and everything in the living room was destroyed. I filed a claim for damages. I had to spend three days in a hotel that I paid for. The landlord had my apartment fixed in three days. Ameriprise didn't show up for 10 days. Their inspector was at my home a total of 15 minutes. With his report they denied my claim. Security video footage in the apartment complex shows that he never even got on top of my roof but his report says he did an inspection. They are a unethical and criminal insurance company. Avoid them!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

They kept charging me after I decided not to renew my policy upon expiration. They were at least 30% more expensive. They said they have a policy to continue my insurance until I show them my new one. They took me to collection for these charges. This is very bad company, with very weird policy. Just check their reputation before committed to any policy.

Original review: July 27, 2017

My wife and I have had Ameriprise on our home and autos for several years through Costco membership. Our home is in Indiana and we have had no recent claims. We recently got notice that our premiums will be increased by 50% and we gulped. How can that be? Someone is ripping off its customers and that someone is Ameriprise. Even Costco raised its membership fees. As senior citizens and a 100% service connected totally disabled Veteran we feel very much aggrieved.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I have insured by Ameriprise. About 3 years I pay very high premium for one car - about 280$. This Friday 07/14/2017 Ameriprise withdraw without notification 760.00$ and put me in the financial hardship situation with my checking account. Was a apologize and promise to transfer back the money on my account in 24 hours. Was not happen. When I call next day was told me will take 10-15 business day. I cancel the insurance immediately, cannot trust this kind of organization. I find the other insurance company with same and some area better coverage for 156.00$ the month - my advice do not do business this kind of unethical organization. Never!

Original review: June 28, 2017

My son is on our CA policy. He had his fuel line cut. Ameriprise agent asked unethical questions. Asked if he locked his car. My son and I explained it was all done outside of car. Agent kept asking with an accusatory voice about whether he locked his car at night. Agent asked if my husband could have cut the line. I was shocked! We don't even live in the same state as my son. The agent asked other unrelated weird questions that did not have anything to do with the claim. The amount of the claim was so small that my son took care of it on his own. Last week I got a quote for my son to have his own auto policy. I was told it would be much more because of no two car discount. We agreed to pay quote, but Ameriprise agent wanted to talk to my son.

After speaking to my son and asking him one question: Where is the address of your car parked? A weird question because they know his address. I have given this address many times to them and he has also. It is the same address where the claim was filed last year. (They know where the car has always been parked). They did not even ask for the miles on the car which was lower than what I told them. Quote jumped by over $100. I called them to ask why. Agent stated they tried to contact me. Not true! I called them today and was quoted the first lower amount. When my 44 year old son called it jumped up. My son has no accidents on his record. Shameful way to treat long time customers of Ameriprise!

Original review: June 23, 2017

My husband and I have had investments with Ameriprise in Oregon for over two decades. It has always been hard to tell what fees they were charging. We decided to move our accounts and they have made it very hard. It has been literally months and we still don't have them all transferred. Don't deal with them. Take your money elsewhere.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I was hit on December 1, 2016 dropping my kids off at school by someone that was insured with Ameriprise. She acted as if she would go and get her insurance and left the scene. I had my 3 kids in the car with me at the time. Ameriprise will not use my kids' statements as the police never came out, just advised me to call 311 which I did. I have been going back and forward with KEVIN and adjuster there and since she says she did not hit me and even though I have pictures and police report as well as a 311 report they are ruling in her favor. This is not right and this is the worse insurance company and most unprofessional. The adjuster told me to take my loss.

Original review: June 10, 2017

Have had both home and auto thru Ameriprise for close to 10 years. Had a no-fault accident, I was rear ended. Have a perfect driving record. Filed a claim, adjuster came out, got a check. With no notification to me either by phone, email, or mail they cancelled my insurance. Meantime I'm driving thinking I'm insured because my insurance is on auto pay, ie, never even bother to check because assume it's deducted. As a result I'm driving thinking my insurance is still functioning. So I call them and complain. I'm told they need pictures of all sides of car and a certified mechanics statement as to the drivability of vehicle.

Fine, I take it and mind you, I have to pay out of pocket for this, fax it and get confirmation it was sent and received. Am also given a date as to when policy will go into effect. I call to have them send my proof of insurance only to be told, "No, we won't reinstate your insurance because you haven't submitted you had repairs done.” Only cosmetic repairs btw. The time I've been insured with them paid for the measly amount paid about 100x. They are the worst!!!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I had a backing accident in a parking lot. It was a slanted space one-way traffic. I was parked between a very large van and truck. Both with dark tinted windows. I had started slowly backing up with my focus on oncoming traffic. The other person backed their vehicle behind me. There was a very small dent on their driver passenger door. No damage to my bumper. The other driver was paid &1,600. My rates doubled. They should have been on my side. I sent pictures and diagrams of the occurrence to no avail. They raised my rates to 146.00 per month. I am a 76-year-old female. I think this is the worse company I have ever dealt with. I went with them because I trust Costco. Costco wise up. I don't even give them 1 star.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I went and got a quote for my vehicle from 2 different body workshops. They were both around 2,200$ give or take, however my agent told me she would only write a check for 1,300$. When I asked her how can the difference be this much?! She was trying to make something up on the spot like I wouldn't ask questions and just accept it as is. LYING flags went off in my head immediately. She told me the labor hours were off and they would only need about half the amount of time to complete the job.

I was confused so I called back the next day after talking with some friends and family and she basically said, "Sorry. Check out. Good luck." At this point I told her I do not accept the check and asked her to explain to me one more time why the difference was so much. She said, “No. I'm not going to go over this again.” She basically spent 1 minute explaining the first time around and it all sounded like total BS. I'm not sure if this is even legal or not to just give out a amount you determined without any documentation or explanation. If so I can only describe this as legal FRAUD. Love Costco food, but their insurance seems like a scam.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I have been with Ameriprise for 23 years (before it became Ameriprise) and have been very happy up to this point. 13 years ago I was diagnosed with a brain condition that could not be cured/corrected. For 11 years I did ok because I had a surgery that stopped the progression. 2 1/2 years ago many of my symptoms came back and my doctors and surgeons told me I should not be working in my catering company because of handling of knives, hot foods, bending over, looking up or lifting. I hired an employee to take my place and lost a $2500 income.

With that being said I filed with Ameriprise and was granted a year of full disability pay. Understanding that I received no income from the catering company that worked out well. It was renewed a second year and again all was well. I suppose this year they decided that they were done with paying the benefit and buried me in so much paperwork that we have to go back 4 years to obtain. In addition they stated that even though I did not receive a paycheck that I was still a owner of the company and therefore must have received profit.

Obviously Ameriprise does not know the first thing about S Corps and how they work. I still will not receive an income from the catering company but am now having to find work outside of my own company just to have an income. Ameriprise should be ashamed! They didn't want to continue paying the disability and so they use one of their senior advisors to bury me! Good job!! I have been a volunteer fire and sheriff's chaplain for 13 years in Missouri and have referred Ameriprise to many of my fellow chaplains, pastors, ministers, and firefighters! NO MORE! Do not buy Ameriprise. They do not care about their customers and only care about the bottom line!!

Original review: May 17, 2017

We have Ameriprise Auto via Costco and my truck got hail damage and the next day my wife's car was in a hit and run incident. Currently as of today 5/16 my truck has been in the shop since last Monday and I have been getting nothing but mixed info and lies from our agent Shana. I was told at first in writing when it gets appraised I would get a rental for up to 30 days. Crickets from Shana when you email her she responds a day later 3 minutes before 3:30pm when she is done for the day and it's all BS. I was told it was appraised yet the shop owner said it was not. This has been going on for a week and I am now being told I can not get a rental until they start work. Lies lies lies is all this company is about.

Here's the kicker. My wife who was in a accident has a rental our only car for the both of us to get to work etc. Same thing she got mixed info etc and the damage went from $7k to $15K to $28K and the final they are going to total my wife's BMW and she is out of luck. Thing is they want to total it rather fix it which would cost them more money. My wife will need to go back and re-lease a new car with another down payment. BMW agrees they are also playing games. She has GAP coverage as well. So much more to say but at this point my only advice is to never think about using them. Now they are telling her she needs to return her rental on Thursday. Pure BS. Shana is completely rude and has no clue what she is doing. I am boycotting Costco as well now! Just say NO to Ameriprise and Costco. My lawyer is going to enjoy this dual case and I am going to like the outcome as well.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I give this insurance company a zero grade. The rates are good the first 6 months as a new customer and then they raise it up more and more. They don't pay claims worth a darn. They added a rider on to a vehicle of someone else after calling just for a quote and wouldn't remove that rider until they had proof of address that he didn't live with us and raised the rate of such person until they shown rider did not live with us ever. Then... their billing dept wants payment in full for the six months after they had trouble withdrawing a premium. Lost our business forever.

Original review: May 4, 2017

Costco offers Ameriprise car insurance, and because I LOVE Costco, we went with them, big MISTAKE. My wife got hit by a guy pulling out from the curb. Not at fault. 10k in damage. After she picked up the truck from Ameriprise recommended repair shop, alarms were going off. The motor was damaged, no pressure and not a drop of oil in it! The repair shop said she just needed oil. I put oil in it that night, the alarms didn't stop so I took it back. "Oh, you need to rebuild the motor but it was out of oil see?" Your fault? 8k to fix, wth?

If those alarms were going off before the accident, I am sure the kids would have noticed. It sounded like a trash truck backing up, and I check the oil, get it changed, anyway. The repair shop said they talked to the dealer, talked to the insurance co, told me they all agreed it was my problem. I went down to the dealer and talked to the lady mechanic myself. She said the repair shop lied, they can not determine root cause for the failure, they can only fix it and that the repair shop did not talk to her about it.

I called the insurance co, and the story changed. Now it was only them who decides if the damage was because of the accident. RED flags everywhere, lies flying around. So, I towed it to a little shop and had them rebuild the motor. I had the insurance co look at it while it was apart, and they said go pound sand. I started an investigation because of the lies and sudden disappearance of oil.

Can't prove anything since the motor had no oil in it. Could have been that way before the accident. No problem, I paid to repair it. Here it is months later... My wife says, "Our insurance has been going up..." I said, "Ya, I got that ticket..." She said "Ya, it's 1200 dollars more a year now?" Wth? They have been raising it with a cute little letter saying they are 'readjusting' it. Stay away folks!! Bad news here.

Original review: May 4, 2017

HORRIBLE! Moving to my new company's retirement plan. Ameriprise is dragging their feet holding it up - It has been over a month and they are rejecting every request to move MY MONEY! Hefren Tillotson is working hard to have this cleared up and Ameriprise doesn't have their own paperwork to be filled in to roll it over. The have directions for American Funds to send their paperwork in a specific way! Just a way for them to hold my money longer!

Original review: April 25, 2017

This company hires the worst people. Never try to pay online. The website either keeps saying "sorry try again"... or it takes your payment and gives you a confirmation number... next your policy is cancelled because THEY DID NOT GET Payments. Trying to solve such issue, is a war with the worst customer service... NEVER Consider them... I am going to report them to BBB.

Original review: April 11, 2017

Agreed, the company is a sham. Employees obviously there to tell people they will not pay claims. When American Express owned the company, it offered real insurance coverage. Whatever entity purchased the company apparently has no intention of paying out claims. Their actions are fraudulent. We just received payment check for $124 to cover ice and storm damage for which their employee said was enough to cover damage. Then when contractor report submitted for repairs between $8,500 to $20,000, the same employee immediately stated they found no ice or storm damage.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I never made it past the quote phase with Ameriprise, and after reading all these negative reviews I'm glad I didn't. The first woman I spoke to gave me a quote for $471 for 6 months, which I thought was great for 3 vehicles --- and a lot less than the $857 I was paying with CSE. I wanted to sleep on it so I called back the next day and the guy asked me a few more questions. One answer alerted him. It seemed the less than 10,000 annual miles that I drove one of the cars put me into a higher bracket. Actually I only drive the truck about 5k per year. Because of that the semiannual rate jumped up another $200! I said, "The rate goes up the less I drive?" He plugged in the numbers again & the result was the same. He said, "I know, it doesn't make sense huh?" I told him I couldn't go with them b/c they're crazy. COSTCO, you let Amex go, maybe it's time to let Ameriprise go too.

Original review: April 3, 2017

Have been with AIC for 10 years, recently had an accident that had a payout of about $6,000. A few months later I received a letter saying that my truck would no longer be covered due to the nature of its use. I am a residential builder who uses it to go to my job sites. I will be removing my other 3 insured autos, my HO policy and going elsewhere. I would definitely discourage anyone from using this company. Basically you pay for an insurance card.

Original review: March 29, 2017

This company is a fraud. I purchased auto and home insurance because of Costco reputation. When I was paying premium everything was fine till I had an accident. I had full coverage insurance including collision coverage and they do not want to settle the claim. Adjuster is saying that claim cannot be settled because they did not obtained recorded statements from all the parties involved.

Original review: March 25, 2017

My semiannual auto premium jumped from $365.74 in 2015 to $1308.74 in 2017. Nothing changed in the policy. Apparently $1886 annual increase was due to a fender bender that cost the insurance company $1659.27. They do not even have a good service when you need them. They are hard to contact. Their procedures are so intense that my first choice of body shop refused working with them after repeated unsuccessful submission of estimates. Costco needs better affiliations. My dissatisfaction extends to Costco as well.

Ameriprise expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ameriprise is an investment firm with an extensive range of online services. It was founded in 1894 in Minneapolis, where it is still headquartered. The company manages $750 billion in assets for over two million clients. Those with an Ameriprise brokerage account can make online trades of stocks and EFTs in their online account.

• Offline trading options: In addition to making trades online, Ameriprise clients can make trades over the phone, by talking to their financial advisor or by visiting a local office.
    • Managed accounts: Ameriprise clients can choose to have a managed account with fees based on the assets in the account instead of a per-transaction basis. Investors can be actively involved in managing their account or be totally hands-off.
    • Fraud protection: Ameriprise will reimburse clients for losses due to fraudulent activity on their account. Interested consumers should visit the website for specific terms and conditions.
    • Resources: Clients with Ameriprise accounts can access informational resources to stay informed about market charges and economic topics. Resources include company overviews, news stories, stock quotes, technical analysis and more.
    • Tools and calculators: Those considering how much to invest or save as well as individuals who aren’t sure what kind of investments to make can use the tools and calculators on the Ameriprise website for free. Tools include a net worth calculator, a compound interest calculator, an asset allocation calculator and more.
    • Best for: Ameriprise Financial is best for individuals who want a significant amount of assistance making investments and hands-off investors.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs