Ameriprise

Compare Online Brokers

Research top Online Brokers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I contact Ameriprise for AUTO insurance after a Costco offer. The agent was very nice on the beginning and convinces me to also take the House insurance both together. I received the paper form very late NOT on the timeframe that the agent commit. First for the house and later for the cars... and WORSE they refuse the car saying that my husband's driver license was expired and need to go to DMV for a proof. LIAR!!! Current we have the AUTO insurance with ALLSTATE. I call many time to their Sales Agent... he NEVER CALL BACK even as a courtesy. At least he should call back. IF THIS IS THE WAY THEY TREAT NEW CLIENT... imagine what will be if I have a claim. GOD HELP ME!!! I put my complaint also with COSTCO. They should not sponsor company that are NOT responsible and trusted.

I've been with Ameriprise through Costco for 5-6 years. I was informed through email that my premium went up 70%! I called them there were no changes to my policy no accidents, tickets, claims, nothing. They said it was a statewide insurance change and they did an algorithm on me and that is why it went up. I asked what this is and they said it is a computer that accumulates data on you and puts you in a category which mine went to high risk. NO ACCIDENTS for 38 years, NO CLAIMS. Explain this one cause I would never recommend them to anyone. Went to USAA for cheaper.

Stay away!!! I never thought to read the reviews on these crooks until they "crooked" me! All 1 stars, negative reviews which is really too bad because they have been decent with me until today. Probably because I was on autopay and never had a claim! Every 5 mos I get a zero month. I pay for ten months and get Nov and May as my zero pay months. Imagine my surprise when they pulled $245 today when I wasn't expecting it, in my zero month.

I called and got one obnoxious female so I asked for a Manager. Absolutely no improvement. They talked to me like I was a moron because I didn't understand policy dates, starts and stops of THEIR billing cycles etc. I threatened to cancel and she was happy to have me cancel! After 7 years of perfect payments from me. I was right on this one, if I wasn't I would own up to it. Their mistake today. I'm going to go to State Farm. They get great reviews! I am so unhappy with Ameriprise today, just can't believe this.

After a four year work assignment abroad, we returned to the US and started shopping for auto and homeowners insurance. The umbrella package offered by Ameriprise via our Costco membership sounded initially like a competitive offer. During the application process we disclosed to the agent that we didn't have prior insurance coverage in the US, but offered to provide confirmation from the insurance abroad that we had coverage during that time and didn't file any claims. We were told that such confirmation wouldn't be accepted, apart from that it wouldn't make a difference to our insurance premium.

Just two months later we received a letter from Ameriprise, informing us that our rate is going to increase by almost 20%! No further explanation was given for the rate increase. After we questioned the rate increase in writing, we received an e-mail from Ameriprise, informing us that we would have to call Customer Service. Upon calling, an agent told us that Ameriprise was unfortunately forced to increase our premium because we didn't have insurance coverage prior to joining Ameriprise.

Long story short, the agent and his supervisor were unable or unwilling to explain what has gone wrong within their organization, neither were they willing to adjust the premium back to the previously quoted rate. The agent apologized and told us that he would fully understand if we look for other options. I was just stunned about the level of unprofessionalism, as well as the incompetence of the agents we spoke to. Based on this experience I cannot recommend Ameriprise at all and suggest that they consider a name change to Amerisurprise.

I've been with Ameriprise for about 4-5 yrs. through Costco. Almost everything I purchased at or through Costco has worked out so I figured I'd give their insurance a shot. Seems like Costco is just a referring party and not really doing / providing anything beyond that. As you sign up, you get handed off to Ameriprise and that's the last I've ever heard of Costco. Through the years, I never really needed to call or ask anything from them. Never had a claim. But, I found out the hard way, once you need to call or need something the aggravations start. A ridiculous set of circumstances led me to find out how shady Ameriprise is. They're just basically waiting for you to make a mistake or file a claim so they can jack up your rate.

My mistake was that I was away on business and didn't realize that bank rejected a electronic payment (Union Bank - another shady company). So without giving me much time, or trying to contact me, they went ahead and just cancelled my policy. This was after being late about 2 weeks. When I got back from a couple back to back business trips, I checked my account and realized that the money from this bill was not pulled so I called Ameriprise. I was curtly informed that my policy was cancelled (for being 2 weeks late) and that my only option was to wait 2 weeks for a paper application in the mail (with no guarantee that I would even be accepted) to "apply for a new policy" full knowing that it's illegal to drive with no insurance in CA. Wow, business must be really good for this shady outfit for them to turn away willing customers I thought.

My other "option" would be to pay off the entire policy (which I have no idea what the cost would be because I needed a new one according to them). I had no intention of doing business with such an incompetent outfit and left it at that. When I explained my situation to my buddy, he quickly put things together and explained to me that they're probably doing this so I would lose my tenure and that would give them an opportunity to jack up my rates. I thought about this and came to the same conclusion. I can't think of anything else. This shady business would rather try to jack up my rate with this made up excuse then keep me as a faithful customer. I haven't had 1 ticket or claim the whole time I was with them.

I know redlining is illegal, but my rate went down after a move to a different zip code in LA county so that might have been another reason for them to cancel me. What it is, know this if you're considering this company- THEY ARE SHADY. Just google Ameriprise. You see the countless reviews of unhappy customers. I'm surprised that a great company like Costco is doing business with them. I intend to write Costco to let them know of their shady practices and warn anyone and everyone to avoid them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Horrible customer service and had bad experience with this company. Won't recommend at all. Dealing with people on the phone in diff time zones and email conversations won't work at all when it comes to insurance. Won't recommend at all.

Ameriprise Auto Insurance (Costco) - I left my long time auto insurance because Ameriprise Insurance offered a rate 40% below my current rate. Stayed with them for a year and then received a renewal for 45% more. When I called they gave a vague canned excuse that their rating systems in Ca had changed and everyone received increases. I said I left my old company and lost my tenure discount because Costco pushed your services and now it's nothing more than bait and switch. There was no reason to change the rates. I canceled the policy and went back to my old insurer at a higher rate then if I'd just stayed. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH AMERIPRISE!

They start your rates out low to lure you in. My auto rate started out just a little over $400 every six months. I thought awesome at the time. Then, the very next year they raised the rate to over $500 every six months. I hadn't had any tickets in over five years and no accidents, so I called them & they gave me absolutely no reason except for the area for the increase. Give me a break. An uninsured driver sideswiped me & received a ticket on July 24 this year. My rate goes from $500 something every 6 months to $655 every 6 months for a not-at-fault accident. What a complete joke this company is. I will be shopping around very soon for another company.

I have had Costco Ameriprise Insurance for our 4 Cars, House and Umbrella Policy for the past 15 years. We have never had one claim filed for any of our policy for 15 years till this past June. My 22 year old son had a minor accident. No damage was done to our car and they paid her $1752 for her car damage. She claimed soft tissue damage to herself (Can't prove or disprove this). The total out of pocket they paid her was $4770.00 and closed the claim. They tripled our car policy from to $2091 a year to a whopping $7542.00 a year. Wow really there should be a law against this. I have called Geico and Mercury both half of the new cost of Ameriprise. I guess they only want you as long as you don't file a claim. I wonder if the claim came in as damage to myself or my own property how they would of screwed me like I am reading they have done to others. Don't buy this insurance.

I'm lucky to have not had to make a claim, but unlucky to have decided to do business with this incompetent company. Obtaining auto, home, and umbrella policies as a Costco member, I quickly found that this company is a shabby operation. Just today they told me that they have "not received" the printed application that I mailed weeks ago. (You have to mail it because they are too backward to deal with online document signing.) I will get other quote and abandon this company today if possible. I dread to think what I will go through if I were to ever make a claim. Costco should be ashamed to foist this company onto its members.

My car was hit on 7/7/16 by a person who had Ameriprise as their auto insurance company. We were never called until 2 weeks later after trying to find the representative at Ameriprise who was handling our claim. They said they are reviewing it and would contact us shortly. On 8/17/16 we emailed the rep and after four days of not responding, I called her. She told me that I had to file a claim with MY insurance company. I said "Your client hit me and this isn't how this works." I told her that professional insurance companies contact the other party right away, ensure nobody in the car was injured and make an appointment to send an adjuster to your home asap.

I got her manager involved who said they would reprocess the claim as my bumper was about to fall off. I had to take pictures of the damage and the mileage and the auto information and take it to a repair shop. This took an additional 2 weeks. We got an estimate and Ameriprise shorted the auto repair shop $300.00. I am thankful we didn't have significant damage or injuries. I work in the finance/insurance industry and the employees of Ameriprise are the most incompetent employees I have ever dealt with.

Long term care insurance. 20% rate increase with no notification. As a senior, my income does not increase but I can't switch as I would lose all the money invested. Definitely would not recommend but I thought they had a high rating when I bought.

When I learned that Costco offered Auto insurance I was excited. I called Ameriprise 800 number and spoke with a gentleman. I specifically told him that I was calling to inquire and get information about their product. The guy asked me for my name and then he said, "The number you're dialing me from phone number ending in **... Is this your number?" I said yes and he then proceeded to ask me for my address and then finally I said, "Why are you asking me for all of this information, I didn't ask for a quote?" He got very defensive and said, "Well... we are going to need the last six years of your driving record and the names and numbers of all the people you want insured."

I again reiterated that all I wanted was information about their product and if I wanted a quote, I could have done it online. There was dead silence on his end, and at this point, I told him I was no longer interested and I immediately hung up. After the call I googled the company (which is what I normally do first) and that's when I found all of the negative reviews about Ameriprise. I'm disappointed that Costco is using this company and as Executive Member since 2000, I feel Costco should cancel Ameriprise and not allow them to service their members. I will be contacting Corporate first thing Monday morning.

In 2014, my husband was rear ended on the freeway, and was injured to the extent that he was unable to sleep in a bed for nearly a year. He could only sleep while sleeping in an upright position. Their claims rep took forever to return my calls, it was absurd how long I would have to wait. When they did call back, they asked me to send them all of the medical bills and paperwork from the hospital visits, which I did my email, and kept the record of this in my mailbox. I heard nothing back. When I finally reached them, I was told to send all of the paperwork again, as the email I sent was lost. I complied. Again, nothing back from them.

Now we're months into this, and I'm getting angry. My husband and I had not slept together for a long time, and I'm feeling like I've been punished by the gods for what? I don't know, and my husband is feeling like he's let me down - all because someone ran into him, and he's at an age, and has past injuries that didn't need to be reminded that they're there. He had broken 7 of his ribs (near his spine) in a work accident some years ago. This new traffic accident [as far as I can guess, because we ran out of funds to continue seeing a doctor] agitated the existing injury to the point of nearly unbearable pain when the weight of his body was putting pressure on his torso.

I sent them the paperwork by U.S. Mail and by email, I have records of both, once again. Then they told me we would have to sign a medical release for them to evaluate the claim. The release they sent me was so invasive and broad, I can't imagine any reasonable person would sign, and I told them to send me one that was specific to this injury and the work injury. I can't imagine why they would need to have access to any psychiatric records, drug treatment, chronic diseases and other unrelated records now and for the rest of his life, but they did not send another. They would call and tell me my time was running out, while failing to provide the modified release. I did make a demand based on the medical bills and damage to the SUV, which they said they would not pay for lack of medical information - now remember, they had all of the bills, and hospital discharge paperwork, 5K in medical bills, damages to the SUV, 2.5K.

They did not come back with a counterclaim, and did not send a modified medical release. They just reminded me I was running out of time. I reminded them I needed a new release, and the time ran out. I should have taken their insured to small claims court, but who would have thought I needed to. I needed to. And that's the long and short of it. If you use Ameriprise through Costco to insure your car, don't be surprised if a person you hit with your automobile, while were totally at fault, takes you to court for the accident your insurance is being paid to handle for you. Ameriprise is gambling with your financial well being - so they can save some money while humiliating and exploiting victims of automobile accidents. At one point I told them all I wanted was a hospital bed so I could lie next to my husband while we sleep.

Side note: Lawyers won't represent you for an accident that they don't have control over from the beginning. Ameriprise put me off long enough to ensure that no contingency lawyer would take the case. Ameriprise cost my family a lot pain and humiliation, and for what? To save a few thousand dollars? David ** was my claims rep. He was indifferent to our pain. Not an ounce of sympathy or compassion. Please don't do business with this company. They are taking some big risks with their clients - Sadly, we didn't have the resources to take their insured to court - he dodged a bullet.

Is this the new standard business model in America? What have we become in this country? I was reading other reviews and can't believe the blatant lack of fiduciary duty and breach of contract. What are we paying them for? We are compelled by law to pay for services that are not performing their basic function? Better to use that money for a rainy day fund, or just hand it straight to the attorneys - I'm sure they are complicit in this travesty of justice. Where one company has found a way to get around the law, you'll find a lawyer showing them the map!

Our auto policy is coming due in October. We pay semi-annually. In April our insurance cost us $386 for two cars. We just got our renewal policy and the price is $702, an increase of 85%. We called Ameriprise and was told that they hadn't had a rate increase in 7 years in CA so the new rate includes that increase. That is outlandish! I can see 7%-10% like everyone else gets but 85% is ridiculous. Needless to say, I am going to be looking for a new auto insurance and complaining to Costco services because this isn't a member savings.

I went online, request a quote and got the quote. After I bought my auto insurance and paid for 6 months, 2 wks later third party person called me and said "Your insurance went up almost double." They didn't have courtesy to call me by themselves. When I call them, supervisor were very very rude. No customer service manners. I have always best experience with Costco but this is worst experience of my life.

I am very unhappy and upset with the poor service proved by this car insurance company. I am try to get the insurance from this company for over three weeks, I just waste my time to get a insurance through Costco/Ameriprise but I am glad at the last minute I didn't. I had been working with several people there and seems to me that nobody cares about the clients. The customer service blame me saying that I didn't send the whole information that they been request today. This really made me mad since I'm been asking them if they need something else (by phone and email)...

The underwriting didn't know what he is doing there. The numbers he gets off the miles on my cars really scare me! Also I went to online/internet and check about this company and I found it out than they have 179 complaints. I mentioned this to the customer service and he only said "is not a lot, actually 179 is not a lot." What a company and people who work there. If I knew before about the reviews I never apply for car insurance through this Costco car insurance company.

I have been insured with Ameriprise for both Auto and Home since 2007. When I tried to add a new driver, they wanted to almost double my rate (twice the cost of the other 4 drivers combined). I switched my auto to another policy. Since I had kids going to college, I was sold an endorsement called "Home Media Package" which is an additional premium for a no deductible policy covering tablets, laptops, and cell phones. They assured me claims to this policy would have NO EFFECT on my home ins policy.

I subsequently had a dropped iPod 4 years ago (300$) and an iPhone damaged by water on a boat trip (700$). Both times, they repeatedly insisted there would be no negative impact to make a claim on the home media policy, despite my questioning over and over. I wouldn't make a claim for a small item if it was going to raise my rates. Well guess what?? They filed a CLUE report (database that insurance companies use for claims reporting) stating I had a HOME WATER DAMAGE CLAIM, then raised my rates by 40%. When I decided to get other quotes, I was told having this "home water damage claim" makes me uninsurable/too high risk! They also raised the rates for my umbrella policy by 40%.

Now I am screwed until 5 years passes with no claims, and will be shelling out WELL OVER the value of those items every year in increased premiums. They LIED and they misrepresented the policy they sold me. Customer service numbers is a constant game of saying someone in a different dept can answer that, and transferring your call around. They are unhelpful and I am very disappointed that I trusted Costco's affiliation with them. Stay away!!! The WA state insurance commissioner said they misrepresented to me what they said the policy allowed.

Our car and home were insured with Ameriprise. We decided to sell our home and move to another state, I called Ameriprise and informed them. I was told that once we were going to closing on our new home to let them know and they would give us a quote and transfer our policy. We did this and all went well. I also informed them that we would be getting new driver licenses and registering our car in that new state. We were told to let them know once this occurred and they would transfer our insurance and make any needed adjustments in price. We had a credit card on file for billing.

I called about 5 months after we were settled and had gotten our new plates only to be told we did not have auto insurance - it had been cancelled! We never received a letter, email, or phone call telling us this! We were driving without any auto insurance! Then we were told they could not insurance since we had a break in coverage and we had to go to Progressive and paid $200.00 extra for 6 months of coverage. I asked why this had happened and was told they could not see a reason on the screen and all of the phone calls would have to be reviewed by a supervisor. I know that this was all an error on Ameriprise's part and they will never admit to anything but we are seniors and we have excellent driving records. I would love to find out how they can cancel your auto insurance and not even notify a person!

I never had such a horrible experience such as with Ameriprise. Every time I need to call to customer service of Ameriprise, I always get a lot of stress, representatives are very rude, supervisors are worst. They constantly trying to come up with anything to make customer’s life miserable, constantly threatening that are going to stop the insurance, requesting unnecessary paperwork that is difficult to obtain, constantly changing information on the file by themselves that increases the premium and don’t even clarify why the premium went up. Every time I need to talk to clarify something, I get totally contraindicating messages from different representatives and if I try to talk to supervisors, they retaliate and make the condition worst. In other word, it gives me a lot of stress to deal with the Ameriprise Insurance.

I feel Ameriprise is basically a scam and that they are liars... They gave me a quote and I switched my insurance over and then they subsequently added a "surcharge" without my knowledge. Think twice before you get involved with this company.

I would NEVER recommend Ameriprise Auto & Home to anyone! I have been a customer of Ameriprise Auto & Home for approximately 5 years. As of this date, 7/21/2016, my insurance payments have never been late and I have never had my insurance cancelled by Ameriprise Auto & Home. My girlfriend recently moved in with me, she has a 20-year old daughter, who does not live with me, for whatever reason, Ameriprise says the daughter lives here and I must account for her address. Because I cannot verify where she lives, as of 8/11/2016 they will be canceling my insurance. I feel Ameriprise Auto & Home has over stepped their bounds when it comes to this issue. Who does Ameriprise think they are?

I have had Costco Ameriprise auto insurance for several years. In April 2016 I revised the auto insurance on three cars. Only one car is mostly used, while others are used occasionally. I told the truth by saying my son buys toilet paper and scott towels for his Dad's machine shop. His father has a heart condition. Machine shop is barely functioning. So my son is helping and also buys food for his Dad to take home. In July 2016 received a letter saying that my auto insurance was dropped since toilet paper and scott towels are considered hazard material. It seems okay to buy for home only. I called Ameriprise and was told I will be cancelled as of September 6th. What is wrong with this picture?

I've had the same financial advisor for many years. He recently moved from Wells Fargo to Ameriprise and my small account went with him. I am very, VERY unhappy with Ameriprise. For example: I read about a company which was developing a product in which I was interested. I asked my advisor to purchase some stock for me. I THOUGHT he said it would cost $15 for the transaction but I sent extra money in case the stock increased in price before the check got to him. Imagine my surprise when I got the transaction receipt. I had purchased $150 worth of stock but was charge $50, not $15, plus a $6 "Handling Fee." I am now looking for a new company and WILL NEVER RECOMMEND AMERIPRISE FINANCIAL SERVICES TO ANYONE!

I have been insured with different auto insurance companies for the last 20 yrs. Never ever had premium increase after BEING 5 months WITH PROVIDER. THAT COMPANY JACKED UP MY NEXT TERM PREMIUM UP TO 29.4% WITH ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. I called customer service and they told me, due to their losses, advertising, blah blah blah, etc, they had to increase premiums mostly for CA drivers!!!??? I told them, they had to disclose it when I sign up with them 5 months ago...otherwise it is a fraudulent business you guys are in. Looking for people in my situation to file a class action lawsuit. Any advise would be helpful.

At the end of a lengthy phone interview representative asked if my car had any damage. I said maybe 1 or 2 small parking lot dings. He replied "We don't insure damaged vehicles."

I had been with Ameriprise for several months when we decided to sell one of our vehicles. Upon informing Ameriprise, they told us that the remaining vehicle would cost us way over twice the amount it would cost to cover two vehicles. So... dropping one vehicle our new bill was $51 dollars more than the previous two vehicles. This is simply unconscionable business practice.

My mother had a policy for extended health care coverage for 28 years. Without our family knowing she began developing dementia and forgot to make premium payments. Once it became clear that she had this my sister in law (POA) began the process of getting her reinstated. All requested documentation has been provided, several times. Each time info is sent the company comes back with a request for more --- of data that has already been given! 28 years of carrying a policy which is now being denied because of the condition it was meant to cover. The account advisor has stonewalled and refused to provide further information (in re: the case manager's contact numbers) stating that customers are not allowed this. This has gone on for over 2 months with no resolution.

Went with this company 1.5 years ago after they solicited me through the brand of auto I bought (Ford). Save me a few bucks, was appreciated. Then I had to make a temporary move from CA to PA. Informed them of the move. They told me I would need to register the cars in PA in order to have coverage. I would have had to obtain a PA license to do that, and I would need to become a PA resident to do that. I am a CA resident and plan to remain so, I told them. Asked if there was any other way? A few weeks later I receive a letter in the mail informing me I was dropped. I've had no accidents, no citations, not even a parking ticket. One must wonder how this company honors claims if they do this kind of treatment to spotless policy holders for no reason. The location I moved from had 10X the auto theft rate as the one I moved to.

Please stay away from this insurance company. I received a letter from Costco about Ameriprise Home insurance. I called them and they gave me a reasonable quote that was a little cheaper than the actual one I signed up with when I purchased my home a year ago. An inspector called me about 10 times trying to reschedule because either you accommodate the time for him or he does not come. Most often he would call me after 8 pm. What kind of service calls that late? Anyways, when he came he took some pictures of the house, and in about two weeks Ameriprise sent me a cancellation notice stating that I have some moss on my roof and trees around the house which is a hazard and therefore they are giving me a month to find another company.

I was shocked because Farmers never came to do an inspection, and even if they did I am sure if this was an issue they would have told me to correct it within a time frame. But this company just sent the cancellation notice. Now when I tried to go back with Farmers, they wanted to give me a new quote for the actual rate which is higher. I ended up going with GEICO. They beat both companies and the inspector didn't make any comments about the "Hazards" that Ameriprise claimed.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ameriprise is an investment firm with an extensive range of online services. It was founded in 1894 in Minneapolis, where it is still headquartered. The company manages $750 billion in assets for over two million clients. Those with an Ameriprise brokerage account can make online trades of stocks and EFTs in their online account.

• Offline trading options: In addition to making trades online, Ameriprise clients can make trades over the phone, by talking to their financial advisor or by visiting a local office.
  • Managed accounts: Ameriprise clients can choose to have a managed account with fees based on the assets in the account instead of a per-transaction basis. Investors can be actively involved in managing their account or be totally hands-off.
  • Fraud protection: Ameriprise will reimburse clients for losses due to fraudulent activity on their account. Interested consumers should visit the website for specific terms and conditions.
  • Resources: Clients with Ameriprise accounts can access informational resources to stay informed about market charges and economic topics. Resources include company overviews, news stories, stock quotes, technical analysis and more.
  • Tools and calculators: Those considering how much to invest or save as well as individuals who aren’t sure what kind of investments to make can use the tools and calculators on the Ameriprise website for free. Tools include a net worth calculator, a compound interest calculator, an asset allocation calculator and more.
  • Best for Ameriprise Financial is best for individuals who want a significant amount of assistance making investments and hands-off investors.

Compare Online Brokers