1.39/5
Get expert advice Hire a pro
Answer a few questions to find a great financial advisor. Compare the top 3 fiduciary financial advisors near you.
FIND MY ADVISOR

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

304 Ameriprise Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My mother had an annuity and when she passed away we closed this account. Well Ameriprise withheld some of the money and now after 3 years and tons of paperwork they are still playing the delay game. I will now be reporting them to the proper authorities as scam artist. Buyer beware: Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I purchased a new vehicle and called them to transfer my insurance over. I had been on my parent’s plan and wanted to go out on my own. They provided a good quote so I said I wanted to proceed. Then they told me that they would have to send me a new application in the mail and it could take a while to process it before I was insured. I was appalled. Not only had I been with them for 10+ years but they wouldn't offer insurance coverage for up to 14 days? I asked them if they could email the application and they said no. I asked them what I was supposed to do since I had just bought the car but wouldn't be able to drive it. They said to call ANOTHER insurance company for automatic insurance or rent a car.

This is 2018, they should figure out how to send an email. So I waited, and waited, and guess what, the application packet never came, and this was a whole week later. I called them and told them that it never showed up and guess what, they said they could EMAIL ME the application. Can you believe it? I asked them a week prior if they could and they said no, and NOW they can? They are very shady. I downloaded the email and had to snail mail it back to them since they needed a printed out version with my signature (apparently). I priority mailed it on a Saturday, but Monday was a holiday so it was guaranteed to get there on Tuesday. They had previously informed me that when they received my packet, that they would let me know. I called them Tuesday night and they said they didn’t get it. I called them Wednesday morning and it still wasn’t there. I called them Wednesday night and they told me that it had arrived.

I asked them why they didn’t call me and let me know and they didn’t have an answer. Originally they told me that once packet is received it takes 1-2 days to process and then you are insured and they call you and let you know that and they email you the insurance cards. Today on the phone he told me that it would take 4-8 business days to process it. This is horrible, luckily I have someone to take me to school and work but if I didn’t then this would be a nightmare. This process all in all will be taking 3 weeks. I have a feeling that this horrible company wants you to drive your uninsured car during this time, that’s why they drag it out. If you get in an accident and then come crawling to them, your insurance rate will be higher.

More money goes in their pocket. If it wasn’t for the fact that my rate is so low compare to everywhere else (yes I’ve called everyone) then I would have left Ameriprise the day I realized they don’t offer automatic insurance. I plan on leaving them in a few months since my driving record will be clean by then. Please don’t make the same mistake that I did. Get your auto insurance elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I agree with Steve from St. Paul MN. I also just found out that in Sept. of 2017 Ameriprise changed the wind and hail coverage on my insurance plan. I say it was without my knowledge, they claim they informed me. Ameriprise has become a shady outfit and I would not advise anyone in MN to get home insurance thru them.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have wasted dozens of hours trying to get quotes from Ameriprise and trying to get Ameriprise to honor the quotes I have been given. Typical problem: they give you a quote, ask you to fill out a form and email it back and then reject the form because you did not include the instructions on how to fill it out with the form! They give you a quote for auto insurance, instruct you to cancel your old policy with another company and when you phone back a half an hour later they withdraw the quote and refuse to give you a new one. To buy umbrella insurance, they will give you a quote, instruct to make changes to all your other insurance policies (with them and other companies) and again, when you phone back they withdraw the quote and refuse to give you a new quote. Their agents are polite and very good at apologizing - I imagine they are very experienced at apologies.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

When my wife was in an accident, I didn't have to go through the hassle of calling, waiting for a while, and then having to go through many hoops. They sent me an email, had me take pictures of damage and then followed up with a phone call. It was very quick and easy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I moved my investment portfolio to Ameriprise to manage. Within the first few months, I had already lost a lot of money. I decided to take my portfolio info to six other financial companies and they all said that my money was not invested in the right place for someone getting ready to retire. I ended up losing a lot of money and switched to a small boutique advisor that is now having to spend a huge amount of time trying to minimize further losses and get my money allocated to minimize risk. I would not recommend using an Ameriprise advisor for manage your finances if you're getting ready to retire.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I gave my counselor what was probably the easiest job anybody has ever requested of a financial advisor. I told him "I don't need any more money. I don't care about a high return or any return. I just want a very safe place to park my money with no risk on the principal. You don't have to make me any money, JUST DON'T LOSE ME ANY MONEY." He recommended an investment. I put in $25,000 and within one week it had fallen to $10,000 never to recover. Of course I'm furious. But even worse, it makes me wonder if he had inside information, knew what would happen, and had some way of profiting from my instant boss. Was he being paid to dump that stock? I'll always wonder about that. I will never deal with them again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

If you live in MN and have Ameriprise Homeowners check your policy!!! There is a good chance that they have raised your deductible to 2% of your home value. My deductible went from 1000 to nearly 10,000 plus they then depreciate the roof on top of it. I noticed in a earlier review it also happens in other states. After call Ameriprise they told me that I was notified - It turns out I was but it was in very small print and for an increase of nearly $9000 you would think they would bring the amount to your attention. It is a deceptive practice. I encourage anyone with this type of policy to shop around. I had five bids and none had a 2% deductible.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

This is the worse company I ever had to deal with for my insurance needs. I bought auto insurance being a Costco member and I'm very disappointed as this company raised my rates after I purchased my policy. They didn't provide any reasons why. Very shady and not trustworthy at all. I spoke with managers and customer service to try figure out what happened. They didn't provide a straight answer. I will never advise anyone to deal with these crooks whatsoever. Unethical company and the worst customer service. Save yourself and stay away.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Had homeowner's insurance with Ameriprise for almost 10 years. I recently moved and decided to keep them for home and switch auto for the discount. After just a few weeks, they sent me a rather nasty notice that they are dropping my full coverage and requiring full payment due to my "insurability". Nothing's happened, I have a great record, and no issues. When I called them, they said the problem was I hadn't given them proof of a driver's license from the state I moved to. They were more than happy to switch me, and never mentioned this before. I would have had no problem sending them something, but if this is an indication of how they treat customers, I want no part of this scummy company. Will be switching both my auto and home to another company; glad they showed themselves for who they were sooner than later.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

They started jacking my premium as I turned 60, again at 65 and 70. No tickets or claims ever. When pointedly asked about it they assured me that was not the case. They said it was just market conditions. What a load of BS.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Two years ago I purchased homeowners insurance as a Costco Member and was directed to the Ameriprise company. Just recently filed a hail damage claim on roof and adjustor estimated $15,000 to replace. Buyer beware and knowledgeable! The policy had the deductible at 2% and was for Actual Cash Value as opposed to Replacement Cost. After my deductible and depreciation on the roof, I received a check for $3000. That's a 20% return on our claim. Couple roofing companies told me they'd never heard of Ameriprise and ALL of them called this a very bad policy.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I had Ameriprise Auto for several years and never filed a claim. On my way home one day, I was rear-ended and ended up suffering a concussion verified by 2 different specialists. My case rep Karen assured me that my policy would cover me. I had 3 cars insured with them plus a stacking policy. Essentially, I was told that I was covered up to $60k without any issues. After a month of chiro and acupuncture, my vision was still messed up. I was told that I’d need to do vision therapy. Again, Ameriprise told me that I’m fine. So, I proceeded to get the treatments.

The vision therapist said that it would most likely take 6-7 months. After 2 months of vision, while still going to the chiropractor and acupuncture (3 months have now passed), I received a call from Karen saying that they are going to be refusing payment on all future claims and any claims made past 1 month of the accident. Stay as far away from them as possible! They are super nice to you on the phone or when you make your payments. But as soon as you need something, you can never get them on the phone. And forget about leaving them a message because they WILL NOT call you back.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Moved from Virginia to Coastal NC with my girlfriend. I had full coverage on my auto for many years. Paid my semi-annual payments in full every year since 1995. I added my girlfriend as occasional driver to my insurance. My Girlfriend has her own insurance with Geico and she also added me to her insurance policy as an occasional driver. Geico had no issues or other requirements with this addition to her policy. The Monday before Hurricane Florence arrived Ameriprise informed me that they reduced my insurance from full coverage to liability only. Which meant no collision or comprehensive coverage.

When I called to demand them to reinstate they initially refused due to pending Hurricane Florence. I was not able to seek other insurance either because of the Hurricane. After 3 hours on the phone they stated they would give me until the 19th. It was their mistake that my policy was reduced to liability that morning. I will be finding another insurance company and I recommend that other potential customers to stay away from this company. Costco needs to find another insurance company to endorse for Costco Members. Ameriprise is a dishonest company and definitely doesn't meet Costco standards.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I purchased auto insurance through Ameriprise feeling that since Costco was affiliated with this company it should be reputable. The rates were quite good for the policy. However, I hit a curb and damaged the front end of my car. Now that it is time to renew, my policy has increased by 50%. I will not renew with Ameriprise. I have purchased insurance through another company that was in line with the original price that I paid Ameriprise before I had the incident. The cost of the new policy with a different company reflects the damage claim. I had read so many reviews about cancellations and rate increases AFTER I purchased the Ameriprise insurance but before my incident. Add my name to the growing list of dissatisfied Ameriprise customers - actually former Ameriprise customers.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I actually have had Ameriprise for several years and have had no problems and loved the coverage. Recently we added a vehicle onto our insurance policy since I will have a new driver in a couple years and we purchased a vehicle for my child. We only use this vehicle to run an occasional errand on the weekend and it is also there in case any of our cars break down. So we have low mileage listed on the policy they needed verification so I put that we only drive it 5-10 miles twice a week, apparently they do not have calculators because they want me to put my estimated yearly mileage.

So I asked them if that is all I needed to complete and they said yes, so I just answered that question and sent back, that was not good enough. They want me to complete this form over and over again which is ridiculous. It has seriously wasted about 30 minutes each time so I asked for a higher up supervisor to help and that will take 2 business days for someone to get back to me. They want me to do everything right away but they can not find someone competent to handle my policy. Confusing!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Ameriprise is the worst insurance ever. I had a severe accident, and now have 3 protruding disks, and lost hearing, and have ringing in my right ear from my ear drum popping during the accident. Ameriprise refused to pay me for my injury claim, after they had told me they would be paying me my full injury limited amount. They are extremely unprofessional, and even though the accident was not my fault, they raised my premiums. Beware and do not make any dealing with this insurance company. There's a reason they have a lot of 1 star ratings!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I paid for auto insurance for years and then submitted the police report and a hit and run claim with damages estimated at less than $2,000. Ameriprise did not pay the claim and increased my premium. Also I paid premiums for years for an expensive long term disability care policy. When I called during a need recently they would not pay. Do not waste your money with Ameriprise/IDS. The complaints above have been filed with the Maryland Insurance Administration for assistance in getting my claims paid on matters that occurred last year, in the year 2017.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I signed up for the auto insurance online and the process seemed pretty easy. But they came back in a few days with a quote that was almost double the original amount because they found a accident record on file. While the accident was a minor one, in comparison I found that other insurance companies were able to pull this info based on my car details. It was a very disappointing experience and not something I associate with the Costco brand. I would not recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: July 31, 2018

This company will lure you in with great rates and then send out a adjuster to over insure your home and hike up your rates. They want me to tear up my living room and remove one of 2 wood stoves to just keep their lousy insurance. I have only been with them 1 month now. What a hassle. No thank you. Stay as far away from this company and homeowners insurance as you can. Very dishonest practice and company.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I locked my car key and the dog in the car this afternoon. I called the roadside assistance right away. And was told my policy doesn’t cover roadside assistance. I was astonished. I called the police department, waited in the rain and got the problem resolved. Then I called Ameriprise again to inquire about the price to add roadside assistance. I was told that my policy already has roadside assistance! I was more than upset with this company!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Ameriprise Ins. came in the lowest to insure our 3 autos. The service has always been good when I have to deal with them but we have yet to file any claims. We are considering a homeowners policy with Ameriprise if they cover our location. You can email, scan, fax, or call to send info or request info. If the phones are busy the option to email or scan is nice. But their pricing could be a little better.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Based on our positive experience with Costco, we assumed that the company would thoroughly vet all the companies it brings in to work with their customers. One the front end, Ameriprise appeared to be a solid company with good customer service. They did a great job getting us signed up and accepting our payments; however Ameriprise shows its true colors once you have to file a claim. My wife was in her car sitting at a red light and was hit by another car then our home was damaged by hail and falling limbs; neither situation was our fault however they have penalized our premiums severely. Basically you pay for insurance year after year but are no longer a valued customer when you are in need of the services you have paid for. In short, avoid this company and go with another company. Even if you pay more, it's worth it to not deal with the frustration and disappointment Ameriprise delivers. Shame on Costco!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Would not recommend Costco Ameriprise to anyone I care about. They are super, super frustrating and aggravating to deal with. They make everything so much harder than necessary. When I have tried to contact them I have been led in endless circles of talking to people, literally for hours, with the conversations going in circles, and being passed from one person to the next, but never being allowed to talk to anyone that actually has the ability or authority to do anything. I have literally spent months with Costco Ameriprise trying to resolve the simplest of issues. It does not appear to be possible to resolve anything with this company. The endless stonewalling appears very intentional. Buyer beware. Costco Ameriprise customer service practices make them look like a scam.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Avoid Ameriprise. I dealt with the Providence, RI office and Ray ** (CFP, Financial Advisor) and Jacqueline ** made dealing with, transferring money out and closing the account so much more stressful and difficult than it needed to be. When the financial advisor and his assistant both failed to help me, I forwarded all the details to the Ameriprise Corporate Officers for help... They did not even bother to reply. Here's the short list... They don't return phone calls or emails, they don't address your concerns or answer questions. Their only concern seems to be making money for themselves... Their clients do not seem to matter to them.

As an attorney, I recommend to all my clients to avoid risk whenever possible. Avoid Ray **, Jacqueline **, and Ameriprise to avoid unnecessary stress and expense. Just do a few minutes of research online and also take a look at the SEC charges and penalties levied against Ameriprise for more detail on their behavior.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I totally trust Ameriprise. I've had their Auto plan for several years now and they have been amazing from claims to service. I feel very secure having them insure my home now as well.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Costco promises that a customer saves $600 in average on auto insurance. We signed up online, answered all the questions and got a quote that was around $500 less than our previous insurance. We accepted the quote, canceled our old insurance and got new insurance cards. Two weeks past I received a letter from Ameriprise stating that they cannot grant us one of the discounts reflected in the quote and our premium increases by $670, which takes us above from what we had with our previous insurance. I had a long conversation with customer service rep, and then a manager, and was told that they received a report about a glass repair on one of our vehicles 6 months ago, and this is why they cannot grant us a “good driving record” discount.

In order to qualify for this discount you should not have any kind of claims for the past 6 years. They also explained that they run reports after they receive a payment from customers simply because the reports are too expensive. This is their business model. In our case we were able to reinstate our previous insurance, but still lost money paying Ameriprise for 2 weeks. I do not recommend switching, there is no real savings after all. Disappointing for Costco not doing their research properly.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I couldn't be more upset with such a garbage company like Ameriprise. My wife was rear ended at a dead stop on the freeway from their client who was going 40 mph plus. Needless to say my wife sustained a horrible whiplash and it was in her brand new Camaro that she saved up for so long to get and this woman said she didn't look up in time. Well no **. Anyways my wife and I forked out over 3000 for medical bills because we didn't have PIP and the doctor wrote her a note that had her out of work for over 3 weeks.

Well put those 2 together and it equals over 5000 dollars and that's not including the absolute hell she had to endure for another year after the accident. Her pain and suffering was terrible and these heartless ** will not offer more than 3000 dollars even though they already claimed 100% fault. Someone please help me as it has now been over a year and they continue to ignore our phone calls and emails and are just playing us like we are fools.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I have been with Costco Car Insurance Ameriprise for 20 years. Everything was fine until I made my first claim where I was at fault. They immediately doubled my rates for 2 years and then they quadrupled my rates. They told me that California law made it compulsory to do that. When they quadrupled, I went to State Farm, who immediately cut my premiums in half. I have always trusted Costco, but no longer.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Ameriprise has had the privilege of charging my credit card directly for premiums for over 20 years. In that 20 years I made no claims. Due to a glitch with my credit card they were unable to process a premium payment, so cancelled my policy (instead of calling me to correct the issue). When I called to reinstate the policy they elected to REFUSE RENEWAL with no grounds. NO GROUNDS. This is the most disgusting manner in which to treat a loyal customer. Period. This is who they are.

Ameriprise expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ameriprise is an investment firm with an extensive range of online services. It was founded in 1894 in Minneapolis, where it is still headquartered. The company manages $750 billion in assets for over two million clients. Those with an Ameriprise brokerage account can make online trades of stocks and EFTs in their online account.

• Offline trading options: In addition to making trades online, Ameriprise clients can make trades over the phone, by talking to their financial advisor or by visiting a local office.

• Managed accounts: Ameriprise clients can choose to have a managed account with fees based on the assets in the account instead of a per-transaction basis. Investors can be actively involved in managing their account or be totally hands-off.

• Fraud protection: Ameriprise will reimburse clients for losses due to fraudulent activity on their account. Interested consumers should visit the website for specific terms and conditions.

• Resources: Clients with Ameriprise accounts can access informational resources to stay informed about market charges and economic topics. Resources include company overviews, news stories, stock quotes, technical analysis and more.

• Tools and calculators: Those considering how much to invest or save as well as individuals who aren’t sure what kind of investments to make can use the tools and calculators on the Ameriprise website for free. Tools include a net worth calculator, a compound interest calculator, an asset allocation calculator and more.

• Best for: Ameriprise Financial is best for individuals who want a significant amount of assistance making investments and hands-off investors.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs