1.29/5
  • 1 star
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get expert advice
Answer a few questions to find a great financial advisor.
FIND MY ADVISOR

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 13, 2017

254 Ameriprise Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I guess I have been lucky with most things I've purchased including insurance until I purchased my insurance with this company thru Costco. The rates were the best I could find. They were not on of the major insurance companies but it was thru Costco so it should be ok right... wrong! After having them for several years for both auto and home there was a storm in my area. I lost many roof shingles as did my neighbors. I put in a claim with this Wisconsin based company. The person handling it did not finish processing it and went on vacation. I continued to call but my claim was delayed. My neighbors were all getting new roofs. I had more damage than most. Finally the claims adjuster came. I was informed that they would pay to re-shingle approximately 65% of my roof but not the entire roof, wanting to replace sections of the roof but not all of it.

I complained that the entire roof should be replaced like everybody else on my street. Also replacing only part would leave me with a roof that would not match colors. Also the areas they didn't want to replace you could see where the shingles had been lifted up and I knew I would have trouble later. After many calls with this lady at Ameriprise who was very unhelpful and at times rude she finally agreed to send out an 'engineer' to evaluate everything. The engineer was located 200 miles away and drove to my house. I would think they spent more doing this... trying to deny me... than it would have cost to just replace the other 35%. They hired an engineer and had him drive a total of 400 miles. I'm sure that cost as much if not more than the cost would have been to pay to cover the other 35% but this lady at Ameriprise seemed determined to make sure they weren't going to pay for it.

The guy came and determined that those areas of my roof were not installed correctly. That the nails had been nailed incorrectly and that it would not be covered. Of course I had been paying for insurance on my roof for almost 3 years from Ameriprise but now I was being told they would not cover this because it wasn't installed correctly. Last year when it came time to renew my homeowner's insurance I get a letter claiming that due to an increase in claims in my state they were going to have to raise my rates. The rate had nearly doubled. They only stated that there was a number of reasons this could occur including a. b. c. etc but never fully informing me the real reason. I cancelled and found insurance at a better rate elsewhere. I kept my car insurance with them.

When it was renewal time for my car insurance I got another letter. It seems there was also an increase in the number of auto claims in my state so they were going to nearly double that price also. There is more to this story but there is too much to tell. I had nothing but trouble with this company. You may be fine until you need to file a claim and that's when you'll find out you've made a big mistake. It may be cheaper but you may very well end up paying more due to them not paying a claim well and/or the headache of dealing with this company.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I had investments with Ameriprise for at least 15 years+ and am a conservative investor. In 2008 I got involved with a REIT. If you are reading this, first and foremost, do not get involved with REIT's. Not only did I lose money every year there is no way to get out or move your money to another investment. It was never explained to me that this would happen or that it could go on forever before the properties in the REIT were liquidated/sold. I guess that is when you get the balance in your account.

The big mistake I made was trusting my advisor to not put me in something like this. I am now required to take a RMD each year but it can't be done. I no longer work with my longtime advisor because I moved all accounts in 2014 & 2015 except the REIT. If the value continues to decline and reaches a zero balance in a few years I assume it will be closed. I almost wish that would happen so I would not have to discuss it with Ameriprise again. In the last few days I have spoken to 3 different people regarding my RMD and have been given different information for each. I had several questions that could not be answered at all. A very annoying situation that I do not want others to have to deal with.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

My roof was damage by a storm. Ameriprise sent someone out to look at the roof. I get a letter in the mail saying, "We will not pay for damage because roof was not put on correctly." So I responded, "How am I suppose to know the roof was not put on correctly. Your company had no problem taking my money. So now I must waste money to start a lawsuit."

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I was a customer for over 7 years. January 2016 I received a speeding violation (20+) in Virginia. The officer wrote it up as RD which might as well be a DUI. Ameriprise reviewed my account in 12/2016 & increased premium 100%. Ok, I paid for 12 months. 12/2017, I've been dropped after underwriting says I no longer qualify. I paid my violation fines to VA, traffic school, 100% increase in premiums for 12 months to be dropped. I own my error, but really no loyalty for all the good years. What a shame!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My wife had an annuity via Ameriprise, and for the last approx. two years she has been receiving annuity checks each month. The annuity payment are due on the 1st of every month. Ameriprise has NEVER made a monthly payment on time. Every month the payment comes in to our bank account on maybe the 3rd or the 4th or the 5th of the month and in the event of a holiday or weekend falling on the 1st. Payment is not deposited until the 6th or 7th. But it has NEVER EVER been received on the date it is due. We know two things. 1. Ameriprise is playing with the balance remaining in her annuity account and is retaining investment gains for itself. 2. Her monthly payment is delayed for several days and Ameriprise uses that money for very short term investment and retains the profits.

We have made multiple complaints to Ameriprise but got no satisfaction whatsoever. Ameriprise blames the banks for the delays, but they lie. We have other annuities that are always deposited exactly on time every month without exception. The Social Security Administration never fails to make monthly deposits on time. Every other entity deals with the same banks that Ameriprise does yet they get payments made on time. Be careful who you deal with!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ameriprise?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

They are an amazing company who make you feel welcome, taken care of and comfortable. They are also always polite, know their products and get information to you quickly and accurately. Their rates are good as well.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

First I was 'sold' on a product that as it turns out I was not given the full information. Any investment made through Ameriprise financial only benefits them. They convince you you will see market upside yet mysteriously your account does not grow even on long market upturns like this past year. When requesting information or documents it can take more than a week for them to respond. Their website is layout very poorly and your account is shrouded in misinformation. At no time will they provide you a clear answer - only something hidden by silly charts or formulas which just mean your money is ours and we will stonewall the consumer.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

To deal with the death of a parent, and ultimately their estate can be quite an experience. My experience with Ameriprise has been absolutely mind-numbing. My father was a long time investor using Ameriprise for decades, yet when dealing with this company has been the most frustrating of all corporations and businesses he had dealings with. Now for the record, I have been appointed by the probate court as the executor and have a letter of administration from the court and of course have a death certificate - so I am not just calling as a random unknown person. However I have been lied to many times, treated with respect when asking a question only to discover on a follow-up call that the respectful person was just lying to me.

As I write this, I am just days away from the 1 year anniversary of my father's passing and am still being "thrown under the bus" by this company as the probate continues on. I need records before my term as executor ends and dealing with this company is simply impossible. It is times like this when you really discover the true nature of a company, and it has definitely not been a good experience.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

BUYER BEWARE!!! I was completely thrown back to find out that Ameriprise Auto Insurance - Costco were charging me $579.00 because I accidentally swiped/scraped off about 1.5 of primer off the bumper of an pretty old already to fall apart little truck. I have never been involved in any auto accident before. I cannot believe they would charge me. I pay them every month to protect me and this is how I get treated. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS INSURANCE... THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF WHEN YOU NEED THEM!!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I recently settled the estate for my 96-year-old father. It took 10 months to settle his account with Ameriprise! He had been a client for 25 years. They "lost" the forms twice and made no attempt to inform me later that part of the required information was missing. I finally contacted my Dad's Ameriprise rep who pushed it through the home office. Such terrible service at a sad time for the family... In contrast I settled my Dad's Thrivent Financial accounts in 3 weeks.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Wow you never know what kind of insurance provider you have until you need them. And for sure you don't want to have Ameriprise auto & home insurance. They refuse comprehensive coverage and I have to pay for repairs. Go anywhere else and you have better chances of being protected than hire this people for your insurance need. Don't do it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Involved in an accident with an individual insured by Ameriprise. Ameriprise verified coverage but refused to pay the claim. According to their claims rep, if they are unable to contact their insured to discuss the accident they can deny the claim. Despite this fact, their insured still has coverage under his original policy.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

During the recent wildfires in Southern California, I received a phone call from a representative at Ameriprise Insurance checking to make sure my family and I are okay and if I needed to open a claim due to any possible damage. What great customer service!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I could not get straight answers from my representative at Ameriprise. I got a lot of sales talk that later proved to be untrue or misleading. Turns out they have the highest fees and penalties in the industry and I had to wait 10 years to get my investments away from Ameriprise without having to pay huge fees. Their statements are very difficult to understand. I'd never recommend them to anyone!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

They cancel my insurance with any notice, was talking with a representative and send me to customer service and wasn't customer service, was a different car insurance company. They want to sell their customer to other car insurance company without customer permit. I don't recommend Ameriprise Car Insurance from Costco Company.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Ameriprise sold my 77 year old mother worthless REIT's, collected a huge commission. The REIT could not be traded and the value went to "0". Big loss for my mother who's living on social security and her investments. Don't trust these people to have your best interest in the trades. They want to sell you! They're after commissions. Just do some research about litigation and complaints against them, then go find yourself a good financial manager!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I paid for my disability policy for 20 years. When my husband died I needed to start collecting on the policy. I am the sole proprietor of a business. This means I had to send documentation of my income and expenses. I did not understand what they wanted at first. The problem is that the company did not call to let me know they needed something different. I waited three months. When I didn't hear anything I called them. I couldn't get through to anyone. I had to leave a message. I left three messages with no return phone calls. So I called my Ameriprise Financial advisor who called the Disability company on my behalf. I was extremely frustrated at this lack of responsiveness to my needs. I was a grieving widow. The experience with Riversource (through Ameriprise) made things harder than they already were.

Another aggravating thing was that the person handling my case told me several times that he did not receive my faxes. I eventually got a call from the company to say that my fax did not include my account number and therefore it was being discarded. The fax had my name and the name of the person handling my case. So I guess I am a number to this company, not a person. That explains why the person handling my case did not receive some of my previous faxes. Of course, they could have notified me of that sooner!

When I called the head of the department to complain, it was another ordeal. She told me to figure out the time of the call and who it was that called. I couldn't do that. So she explored it at the company. After a day she called me back to say that nobody had called me and the fax had not been discarded. So she essentially told me I was a liar! According to her I made the whole thing up! My financial advisor got a special fax cover page from Riversource that she said I should use. Ok fine. But why didn't the company give that to me right at the beginning? I am still dealing with this company. It is extremely frustrating. I feel very disrespected. It's about the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

My 84-year old mother and now-decease father paid into this farce of a policy -- in good faith -- since 1994. Now that my mother needs assisted living because she has cognitive impairment, RiverSource will not pay our claim in spite of the fact that cognitive impairment is one of the triggers that is listed on the policy. They sent out an assessing nurse who did a BIMS test on my mom. My mom was able to eke out a passing grade on the BIMS test. The BIMS test is unfair. The assessing nurse asked Mom after only a minute, to recall three words. If she had asked her to recall those three words after ten minutes, she couldn't have done it. Staff at the facility know that she has cognitive impairment.

Family and friends -- even her physician's attentive nurse -- know that she is a changed person. She used to be smart, sharp, and quick; now she struggles. If she could take care of her own bills, medications, shop for and prepare meals, etc. we wouldn't have moved into assisted living in the first place! Do they really think Mom WANTS to be there? Of course she doesn't, but she realized it was a necessity when she couldn't find a local, familiar restaurant. She has even said to us kids, "What is wrong with me; have I had a stroke?" Documentation that supports all the above has been submitted to RiverSource from staff at her facility and her primary physician. Still they deny benefits. Her 100-day deductible ended on April 6, 2017. In my opinion they should have begun paying her claim on April 7, 2017. I am incensed that a huge conglomerate would do this to anyone! Where are their ethics?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Ameriprise isn't really insurance. They're a loan company. If something happens, they'll do everything possible to keep you from filing a claim via abysmal and slow customer service - and if that doesn't work your rates will skyrocket to cover every dime they give you and more. Had them 8 years for Home, Auto, and Umbrella - they collected tens of thousands during that period. I had one at-fault incident vehicle incident with $2,200 in damage. I paid $4,000+ in additional fees over the next 3 years for that mistake. A year later, after that accident was off my record, I was rear-ended by a 100% at fault other-driver with flaky insurance carrier (and even a verified witness stating it was all the other driver's fault) and Ameriprise said they'd be raising my rates again if I filed a claim through them. The damage was less than $1,000 and even with 3 policies through them they still couldn't be counted on. Goodbye and good riddance.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I have been a loyal customer of Ameriprise for thirteen years. I have both a homeowner and automobile policy. Today, I called to ask if my automatic payment could be delayed until the middle of the week, so I could make a deposit to cover the insurance payment. I was told the company has a new policy and they can make one change during the life of the policy. Their records show in 2015, I requested a change to my billing, so unfortunately my request was denied. I plan to cancel my policy. I have also changed the way I do business. If a company does not provide me with respect and consider me worthy to accommodate my requests, I cancel my services. It's time the American people make businesses earn our trust.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I had a Renters Insurance policy. In July 2017 had several days of bad storms. The ceiling in my living room came down on me while I was sitting on the couch. I was scraped up and everything in the living room was destroyed. I filed a claim for damages. I had to spend three days in a hotel that I paid for. The landlord had my apartment fixed in three days. Ameriprise didn't show up for 10 days. Their inspector was at my home a total of 15 minutes. With his report they denied my claim. Security video footage in the apartment complex shows that he never even got on top of my roof but his report says he did an inspection. They are a unethical and criminal insurance company. Avoid them!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

They kept charging me after I decided not to renew my policy upon expiration. They were at least 30% more expensive. They said they have a policy to continue my insurance until I show them my new one. They took me to collection for these charges. This is very bad company, with very weird policy. Just check their reputation before committed to any policy.

Original review: July 27, 2017

My wife and I have had Ameriprise on our home and autos for several years through Costco membership. Our home is in Indiana and we have had no recent claims. We recently got notice that our premiums will be increased by 50% and we gulped. How can that be? Someone is ripping off its customers and that someone is Ameriprise. Even Costco raised its membership fees. As senior citizens and a 100% service connected totally disabled Veteran we feel very much aggrieved.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I have insured by Ameriprise. About 3 years I pay very high premium for one car - about 280$. This Friday 07/14/2017 Ameriprise withdraw without notification 760.00$ and put me in the financial hardship situation with my checking account. Was a apologize and promise to transfer back the money on my account in 24 hours. Was not happen. When I call next day was told me will take 10-15 business day. I cancel the insurance immediately, cannot trust this kind of organization. I find the other insurance company with same and some area better coverage for 156.00$ the month - my advice do not do business this kind of unethical organization. Never!

Original review: June 28, 2017

My son is on our CA policy. He had his fuel line cut. Ameriprise agent asked unethical questions. Asked if he locked his car. My son and I explained it was all done outside of car. Agent kept asking with an accusatory voice about whether he locked his car at night. Agent asked if my husband could have cut the line. I was shocked! We don't even live in the same state as my son. The agent asked other unrelated weird questions that did not have anything to do with the claim. The amount of the claim was so small that my son took care of it on his own. Last week I got a quote for my son to have his own auto policy. I was told it would be much more because of no two car discount. We agreed to pay quote, but Ameriprise agent wanted to talk to my son.

After speaking to my son and asking him one question: Where is the address of your car parked? A weird question because they know his address. I have given this address many times to them and he has also. It is the same address where the claim was filed last year. (They know where the car has always been parked). They did not even ask for the miles on the car which was lower than what I told them. Quote jumped by over $100. I called them to ask why. Agent stated they tried to contact me. Not true! I called them today and was quoted the first lower amount. When my 44 year old son called it jumped up. My son has no accidents on his record. Shameful way to treat long time customers of Ameriprise!

Original review: June 23, 2017

My husband and I have had investments with Ameriprise in Oregon for over two decades. It has always been hard to tell what fees they were charging. We decided to move our accounts and they have made it very hard. It has been literally months and we still don't have them all transferred. Don't deal with them. Take your money elsewhere.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I was hit on December 1, 2016 dropping my kids off at school by someone that was insured with Ameriprise. She acted as if she would go and get her insurance and left the scene. I had my 3 kids in the car with me at the time. Ameriprise will not use my kids' statements as the police never came out, just advised me to call 311 which I did. I have been going back and forward with KEVIN and adjuster there and since she says she did not hit me and even though I have pictures and police report as well as a 311 report they are ruling in her favor. This is not right and this is the worse insurance company and most unprofessional. The adjuster told me to take my loss.

Original review: June 10, 2017

Have had both home and auto thru Ameriprise for close to 10 years. Had a no-fault accident, I was rear ended. Have a perfect driving record. Filed a claim, adjuster came out, got a check. With no notification to me either by phone, email, or mail they cancelled my insurance. Meantime I'm driving thinking I'm insured because my insurance is on auto pay, ie, never even bother to check because assume it's deducted. As a result I'm driving thinking my insurance is still functioning. So I call them and complain. I'm told they need pictures of all sides of car and a certified mechanics statement as to the drivability of vehicle.

Fine, I take it and mind you, I have to pay out of pocket for this, fax it and get confirmation it was sent and received. Am also given a date as to when policy will go into effect. I call to have them send my proof of insurance only to be told, "No, we won't reinstate your insurance because you haven't submitted you had repairs done.” Only cosmetic repairs btw. The time I've been insured with them paid for the measly amount paid about 100x. They are the worst!!!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I had a backing accident in a parking lot. It was a slanted space one-way traffic. I was parked between a very large van and truck. Both with dark tinted windows. I had started slowly backing up with my focus on oncoming traffic. The other person backed their vehicle behind me. There was a very small dent on their driver passenger door. No damage to my bumper. The other driver was paid &1,600. My rates doubled. They should have been on my side. I sent pictures and diagrams of the occurrence to no avail. They raised my rates to 146.00 per month. I am a 76-year-old female. I think this is the worse company I have ever dealt with. I went with them because I trust Costco. Costco wise up. I don't even give them 1 star.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I went and got a quote for my vehicle from 2 different body workshops. They were both around 2,200$ give or take, however my agent told me she would only write a check for 1,300$. When I asked her how can the difference be this much?! She was trying to make something up on the spot like I wouldn't ask questions and just accept it as is. LYING flags went off in my head immediately. She told me the labor hours were off and they would only need about half the amount of time to complete the job.

I was confused so I called back the next day after talking with some friends and family and she basically said, "Sorry. Check out. Good luck." At this point I told her I do not accept the check and asked her to explain to me one more time why the difference was so much. She said, “No. I'm not going to go over this again.” She basically spent 1 minute explaining the first time around and it all sounded like total BS. I'm not sure if this is even legal or not to just give out a amount you determined without any documentation or explanation. If so I can only describe this as legal FRAUD. Love Costco food, but their insurance seems like a scam.

Ameriprise expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ameriprise is an investment firm with an extensive range of online services. It was founded in 1894 in Minneapolis, where it is still headquartered. The company manages $750 billion in assets for over two million clients. Those with an Ameriprise brokerage account can make online trades of stocks and EFTs in their online account.

• Offline trading options: In addition to making trades online, Ameriprise clients can make trades over the phone, by talking to their financial advisor or by visiting a local office.

• Managed accounts: Ameriprise clients can choose to have a managed account with fees based on the assets in the account instead of a per-transaction basis. Investors can be actively involved in managing their account or be totally hands-off.

• Fraud protection: Ameriprise will reimburse clients for losses due to fraudulent activity on their account. Interested consumers should visit the website for specific terms and conditions.

• Resources: Clients with Ameriprise accounts can access informational resources to stay informed about market charges and economic topics. Resources include company overviews, news stories, stock quotes, technical analysis and more.

• Tools and calculators: Those considering how much to invest or save as well as individuals who aren’t sure what kind of investments to make can use the tools and calculators on the Ameriprise website for free. Tools include a net worth calculator, a compound interest calculator, an asset allocation calculator and more.

• Best for: Ameriprise Financial is best for individuals who want a significant amount of assistance making investments and hands-off investors.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs