1.12/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Regions Bank

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

542 Regions Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I walked into the Regions Bank on 167 Street and N.E. 6 Ave North Miami Beach branch. My boss gave me a Regions check. I dont have an account but had two forms of id. I had my social and United States of America work permit... I was denied cause of the type of documentation I held. I asked why and the teller who was training said, he cant accept it. I've used these to cash checks in previous banks. But then he went on and told me if I had foreign documentation it's acceptable. To my knowledge USA documentation such as work permit and social is not sufficient which is federal documentation is not accepted but foreign ID is. Never understood it. Federal documentation supersedes any state ID.

Dont know how you train your tellers... But a foreign ID is accept. Still messes with my mind and money... Because I had to spend $20 of my hard earned money to cash it elsewhere when they charged me a fee of 10% than the 1% they told me Regions charges. Again I want a response to this matter. We live in the USA where their IDS are not accept it but a foreign ID is. Pls call me or email me with your protocol on cashing checks at your branch. Thank you...

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I have a business account and needed some explanation of charges on the business account. The tellers couldn't answer my questions, so they went to Nathan **, the Branch Team Leader, and asked him to assist me. I was standing right there and heard him say "I don't have time for this now, she can sit and wait on me but it will be awhile." So, I sat. And waited. And listened to him carrying on a conversation with two other ladies in an office to the side of the lobby about directions on how to get from Merchants to Cedar Lane and how you have to cross the railroad tracks before you are actually on Cedar Lane, then about a restaurant experience he had.

It obviously was not "business" which kept him from assisting me, he just didn't want to fool with me, a business customer. I will report this to our corporate office, who might want to reconsider our 128 locations and who we bank with. On a positive note, Donna **, the Financial Services Specialist, was very nice and did her best to answer as many of my questions as possible. They should make her the Branch Team Leader and let Nathan do something that doesn't require providing customer service.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

They have the worst customer service imaginable. Each year they lock my mother's online banking account and it is an uphill battle to access it again because we're Canadian citizens with property in the US. In addition, they have sent my aunt's confidential financial documents to me multiple times in error. I have had to ask that they please stop as this is a clear violation of her rights. Somehow, my other aunt is also able to access our accounts. In my opinion, it's ludicrous that a financial institution could make such mistakes and remain open. If you have options, I highly recommend you go elsewhere. I would say they are as professional and secure as Equifax given the recent climate.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I sent a check to Dr. Fkora ** which was to go electronically. You wrote a different check for this, charged my account with the $28.90 but Dr. ** has not received the payment. I have since paid her so now you owe me double that amount of the initial check.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

My wife is on my account and her mom’s account in case she has to take care of paying bills due to our health issues. Due to the link (my wife) they took money out of my account to cover the shortage in her mom’s account because of her check getting in late. The second time this happened we went to our branch and filled out the paperwork to take my wife off my account. Due to their incompetence or deliberately not turning the paperwork in, it happened a third time. This bank will take you for everything they can, even underhanded things like this. BB&T and PNC are far better options. Stay away from this bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Regions Bank?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I recently purchased a car and the finance manager at the dealership recommended Regions for the financing. When I received my first communication from Regions with the payment information, imagine my surprise that the only way I can make payments online is if I also have a Regions bank account. I can mail a paper check in, I can call their customer service and give my bank account information for an auto-withdrawal, but I CANNOT make an online payment. I was so shocked that I called their customer service department to make sure I was reading this correctly. I was! She started telling me how I could easily just open a Regions bank account and just put enough in there to cover my payment each month, then I would be able to log on and make the payment electronically. I am just flabbergasted, to say the least. This is my first interaction with Regions and it will be my last. What company in today's world has such archaic methods of making a payment???

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

We've had an account with Regions Bank for many years, and have never had an issue until recently. They have a new scam going where they take out money for an item, and then, place it back into pending. Thus, for the moment, charging you twice! They will then charge an overdraft fee for items that they have taken the money out for. We have averaged over $400 a month in overdraft fees due to the fact that Regions has mastered the art of manipulating bank accounts. We deposit an average of $4,000 a week and should NEVER have an issue with overdraft... Out of our other 5 banks accounts with various banks, we never have an issue except for the Regions account! They are master scammers and work hard at perfecting the art! STAY AWAY FROM THIS BANK!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

This company is a rip-off. If you have your money in this bank, withdraw all of it and go anywhere else. They are rude and nasty people. I am leaving and I highly suggest you do the same. If you are considering opening an account, let me warn you that will regret the hell out of it. ** Regions Bank!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Two banks were in this area and they closed one. They close Monday - Thursday at 4pm. Not customer service oriented. Friday they stay open until 5pm. The ATM CONSISTENTLY is out of order and you have to drive 8 miles to the nearest one. When this ATM does work it only distributes money in $50 increments. VERY AGGRAVATING. Many establishments don't like to take such large bills. You have to go back to the bank before 4pm and either go in or thru the drive thru to change the $50's for smaller bills. VERY IRRITATING! But they do have very good online banking.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Avoid Regions Bank at all cost if possible. There is a great deal of competition available in South Florida to select from. The branches are OK in terms of customer service however the back office where all decisions are made is more than lacking in professionalism and customer service. I can assure you the advertising is false and their follow up is just as pathetic. Don't expect any form of useful communication or follow through. The entire organization is a sad commentary in the banking community.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

My husband and I have used Regions Bank for the past 2 years. In Dec our account was hit by a China company for over 2300. Amazingly they issued the reimbursement for the 2300 but during that time we had several checks out and acquired overdraft fees of over $900. It is now Aug and we are still fighting with them. Each month has become a struggle trying to get our account back in good standings and keeping it there. Since Dec 2016 there has been an average of $600s worth of overdraft fees. They have charged an OD Fee along with return fees and each time it is on the day that our check deposits when everything hits at once. The fees are on our direct withdrawals set up for bills.

When confronted they refused to return the fees in Dec even though they found no fault on our part and continue to put our account in the negative each month before we can even get our direct deposit from pending to posted. We have been told 100 times the deposit will hold all pending debits but each time we are charged $72 per item that's a fee for the overdraft and for the return along with each company charging us a return fee and late charge. Since January they have cost us over $6000. We transferred banks and are still fighting with them a month later.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I am the seller on a real estate contract. Unfortunately, my tenant/buyer opted to use Regions for her first-time loan. They may have been ok for her, but it's been a nightmare for me. The contract stated the loan commitment date in paragraph 20 of the FAR-BAR contract. First line said that all things within this section superseded the remaining sections of the contract. They would not provide the loan commitment and still haven't! They have been so unprofessional and rude. They said they don't answer any questions to me because I'm not the buyer. However, in more than one place in the contract, it states that they are to keep me informed of the entire lending process. The buyer gives me that authority.

I have NEVER had such a problem with a lender in all the years I've been buying and selling homes. Yet they have the audacity to REQUIRE me to answer their questions or I am holding up the close, which is total poppycock. Next, they will not provide documentation as to why they automatically invoked the 10 day extension on close. This was done with absolutely no communication. Next, when asked directly why, they said the buyer didn't have docs into them in time. THAT is on the buyer and does NOT qualify for an extension under current guidelines. The sad part of this is, had they treated me with respect, courtesy and professionalism, I wouldn't have had to write this. Hopefully at least one person will be spared the grief of dealing with Regions Mortgage!

Original review: July 21, 2017

Someone needs to look into Regions Bank's newest scam of charging overdrafts for "pending" charges, when the bank is allowing those "pending" charges to pend for days. When reviewing online banking, you will notice charges that have been processed on one day - then the next are "pending." Money will have been taken out of the account for the processed charge, but then as it is item is placed back as "pending," Regions will charge an overdraft fee for another item that comes through - when there is money in the account to cover the item is the "pending" item that was already processed the day before was not still "pending."

I believe this is the newest scam, much like the well litigated overdraft fee class action cases from a few years ago. This needs to be dealt with and class action suits need to be brought. I - for one - will be changing banks but have been keeping a record through printouts of these types of transactions. I'm ready once a class action suit is filed. This is fraudulent behavior on the bank's part.

Original review: July 14, 2017

They allowed a company to take out money out my account and would not return it even though I did not authorize the company to take the money out. They had me to complete an affidavit and then denied my claim. I went back to the bank as they ask me to and brought the proof and they then pretend that they were unable to read it. So I dropped it. They then came back the next week and charge me another $85 worth of overdrafts that just never could add up. They use to be a good bank but they're just like the others now. Use the poor to stay rich.

Original review: June 30, 2017

DO NOT BANK WITH THESE PEOPLE!!! They allowed a credit card to be opened in my name. Allowed my ex to add herself as an authorized user. Charge the card up & do balance transfers. Then they allowed her to delete herself as an authorized user without ever contacting me once. Leaving me solely responsible for a credit card bill that someone else ran up. Then they would not give me a copy of the charges so I could personally go after the person that ACTUALLY ran the card up. I will continue to post this everywhere possible until I get my money back or they give me a copy of the charges!!!

Original review: June 28, 2017

We've never experienced such a lack of professionalism, courtesy, or ethics as we have in the past few months at the hands of Regions bank! After a banking relationship of over 20 years, an incompetent employee of an unrelated business from our personal accounts, created a nightmare situation, that has been completely resolved, however, Regions has basically said that they will supply us what we need to find another bank! Since that time we've been told by several other banks and accountants, that this is Regions' way of weeding out 'old money' to bring in new money. We've also been asked by so many businesses in our area as to why we're still with Regions, and now we know why! While you may be new money now, at some point you will be old money, and you will be kicked to the curb, no matter how much money you have! (in our case over $3,000,000 in combined businesses and associated accounts).

Original review: June 27, 2017

Cash some stock in and they wire me my money to my Regions Account. Per online banking, the funds were available on Wednesday. I went by a branch to withdraw some of the funds, I was told I could not have the funds, that someone would reach out to me. Well, the next day came, I had not heard from anyone, so I went to the branch where I had opened my account. The branch manager pulled my account up, said it was because there had not been any recent activities in the account before the wire came in. She emailed the department to release my funds. I went back to work. Later I received a call from her saying the funds were frozen until the wire transfer was validated. How long will that take? She didn't know. Friday - no update, Monday - no release date, Tuesday - still validating. Needless to say, I was getting frustrated. I had never had a wire transfer take this lone to be validated, even ones coming from China!

This was coming from Australia, straight from the bank of the company I had stock in. Give me a break! How long does it take to verify the funds are legit? Sad thing, the branch manager could only email the wire department, had no telephone number that I could call and talk to. The customer service number is a joke! When you do finally get a human, they just call the branch manager! Everyone is kept in the dark about everything! I've dealt with smaller banks that handled international wires faster and more efficient that this bank! If and when I ever get my money, this account will be closed! Then they charge me for the wire transfer the original date they received the money... so they have been earning interest on my money for a week while it has been costing me money for not being able to access my money... MY MONEY!

Original review: June 27, 2017

Lost our cheques and blame on us and refuses to check on the cameras because would prove they dropped the ball. More than 10 years account treat us like **. Our account was open in Winter Garden Florida. We are closing the accounts. We were able to get other cheques from the people that wrote us the cheques. They are so wrong that their excuse is that they refund us but the amount they are talking about is another deposit we make which we have the receipts.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I deposit my check of 500 in Regions Bank account to transfer from my other account they put hold for more than 2 weeks as they already took money from my other account. The people work in branch are 0 in knowledge or they're sitting there to lie people. For that mistake to deposit I have to pay fine 200 to landlord cause I was late to pay rent. No banker cannot do anything for customer. They just **. Branch people rudely refuse to help you. At the end customer has to bear. They don't care about anything. I am going against them in small court.

Original review: June 5, 2017

Last June I was caught in a work at home scam and the company that scammed me took $100 saying they needed it in order to send my information to get started with their business. I was suppose to get the info as soon as I paid but after waiting three days I never received the info. I called customer service and demanded for a refund after learning that the company was a complete scam. I argued with them for three hours and they would only give me back $50. I said "Ok whatever" and hung up. Then, I filed a dispute with Regions to get the other $50 back. They said it would probably take a month to get the money back, but it was in my account 5 days later. They told me they were siding with me and gave my other $50 back.

Fast forward to October, I get a letter in the mail stating that they suddenly found no fault with the company and said they were taking the $50 back, but they actually took the full $100 back. I had no money in my account and ended up with -$160. I immediately switched my direct deposit to another bank because I thought it was complete crap that they would send a letter several months later saying they were taking my money back. I still owe them $160 but I REFUSE to pay it back. They also charge overdraft fees like crazy. STAY AWAY FROM REGIONS!!!

Original review: May 26, 2017

Regions will screw you over any way they can. I would give them negative stars if I could. I just got charged 2 overdraft fees again for checks they cleared at five minutes until midnight. My direct deposit isn't showing up yet but all of my colleagues' deposits hit their banks over two hours ago! This is not the first time they have done this to me. They say deposits get posted before debits but that's not true, not for them. They just want to make money and I get that, but this is just shady. Terrible business practices! I wouldn't recommend them to ANYONE and I will be closing my account as soon as possible.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I withdrew $2000 from my savings which a teller counted and put in a white envelope. Shame on me for not counting the money right then b/c the next day which was when I counted it for my needs I noticed there was only $1900 in the envelope. Had to wait till Monday to call Regions to complain since it was the weekend. When I contacted them they said it was too late since I waited (Had no choice it was the weekend) and the teller's drawer was balanced. The teller stole the $100 I was short. I'm closing my account since they have thieves working for them.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Regions Bank charged overdraft charges to the tune of $360. During a weekend, 3 day span, I spent money on essentials, knowing that I had a balance to cover it. So when Monday comes, I'm charged with 10 overdrafts. It appeared that a monthly auto-payment hit my account 2 days early on a Monday night. Even though that was the last transaction of the 3 days, they paid the electronic check first, therefore nullifying the available balance for all my previous purchases. They offered no help, except to advise me to cancel overdraft protection. I should have known I was dealing with a shady group when they screwed up my first batch of checks and charged me to re-print them.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Absolute horrible customer service representation done by any so-called "professional". Call waiting at ridiculous lengths. Representatives are rude and uncooperative. They have absolutely the most idiotic of procedures. Avoid using this bank because if you need customer support then you are out of luck.

Original review: May 2, 2017

My Checking Account at Regions Bank had 73 unauthorized transactions made to my Checking Account totaling nearly $34,000 dollars. I have been denied by the Fraud Department 3 times. I attempted to get some type of monetary relief due to major financial hardship this has put on my family through various consumer agencies and have gotten nowhere. My family was separated due to the fraudulent activity that occurred on my account due to the stress and agony and loss of our house and lots of other things we worked very hard for. The same situation happen to me and my wife in 2010 with Capital One bank which caused us to lose nearly $80,000 dollars due to fraudulent activity charged to our Checking Account. I wasn't contacted not one time or received no text message from Regions Bank when the unauthorized activity was occurring. Can someone please help me get my money back.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Wish there was a rating of 0, worst bank I have ever had. They have messed my account up over and over again, but this last time really did me in. They took all my money I had in account and put me at negative $112. When I signed up I was told there was no way to overdraft period with the account I went with, I rely mostly on online banking. They took a payment out 3 weeks ago to later find out they put it back for some reason then took it again today so now I sit with a negative balance and no money. Needless to say they have screwed me sooooo bad, I will be sleeping in my car starting tomorrow night!

They refused to take responsibility for it and said they don't know how it happened but charged me $72 on top of my negative balance. Not sure how I'll ever get caught back up having no money at all to even have gas to get to work. Thank you Regions. You are the most horrible bank ever!!! Will be switching banks the minute I get this all resolved and will never step foot back into a Regions Bank EVER AGAIN... Anyone thinking of banking with Regions do not do it. They will take your money!!! I've heard this from sooo many people that have ended their accounts as well. Wish I would have known before I ever trusted Regions.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I have been a customer for over 10 years. I also worked for Regions for 5 years. Both my Line of Credit and Credit Card are at a zero balance. I strived hard to pay those off before my baby was born. When I log into my accounts, both show zero balance and nothing due. Normal I think, as I haven't used them. However, once you click on my LOC account, it says I have a minimum balance due on a $0.00 balance account? Turns out I was charged not only an annual fee but a late fee! I never received a notice for either of these. No email, no snail mail.

I've never been late on payments and asked to at least have the late fee waived. They told me no because it wasn't bank error and that I need to visit a branch! Completely disappointed. What's the point of having online messaging customer service if they're just going to redirect you to go to a branch. They didn't tell me no until I complained several times. Regions is just going downhill. I'll be completely ending my relationship with them.

Original review: March 31, 2017

Regions online banking transactions data are not being displayed to consumer accurately. I made the mistake of relying on this data to transfer money from one account to another on the day a check posted to the account. The problem is that for most transactions the items show as pending until after midnight when the bank syncs its servers. The day my check appeared as pending, I transferred the funds which also showed as pending for the same day. At midnight when the servers synced, my transfer shows as complete, the check shows as returned NSF, (they collected a $36 fee), and now show the check as posting the day before it was even shown as pending. On that day, no data was displayed at all.

To me this is a common practice of postdating to collect a fee and really should be investigated. At the very least, it is one of many online practices that Regions has used to erode my trust. I realize I could have avoided this situation by having the funds in the account when I wrote the check like the responsible person my parents raised, but that doesn't absolve Regions from creating a "Technicality" where if their customers rely on the data they choose to show, they can create an opportunity to collect more overdrafts and returned check fees.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Went to Regions Bank on Monday. Told them my wife passed away on Tuesday. Was going to use bank card, was told my checking account was closed by a sales manager in Jackson Tennessee. Would not see me, or take calls. We had been there over 10 years. Got mail, any funds would be mailed out in 10 days. Talked to other folks. Done same way. Moved all money to bank across the street, and will not be back. Pretty sorry, and low down person to treat people like that.

Original review: March 9, 2017
    I have been receiving calls from Regions Bank collections/recovery department regarding a payment I HAVE made. I call the 800 number, get passed around to different people in different departments only to be told: "Yes, I see it has been paid, I am so sorry! I hope this gets resolved but my department can't do anything."

So I am transferred to another department where the same thing happens. My money cleared, everything is paid, but their computer shows I am over one month late in payment. I was told someone that would be able to assist me would contact me at a specified date and time. I never received the call. I only hear from collections. Horrible experience. This is unending.

Regions Bank Company Information