Regions Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I deposit my check of 500 in Regions Bank account to transfer from my other account they put hold for more than 2 weeks as they already took money from my other account. The people work in branch are 0 in knowledge or they're sitting there to lie people. For that mistake to deposit I have to pay fine 200 to landlord cause I was late to pay rent. No banker cannot do anything for customer. They just **. Branch people rudely refuse to help you. At the end customer has to bear. They don't care about anything. I am going against them in small court.

Last June I was caught in a work at home scam and the company that scammed me took $100 saying they needed it in order to send my information to get started with their business. I was suppose to get the info as soon as I paid but after waiting three days I never received the info. I called customer service and demanded for a refund after learning that the company was a complete scam. I argued with them for three hours and they would only give me back $50. I said "Ok whatever" and hung up. Then, I filed a dispute with Regions to get the other $50 back. They said it would probably take a month to get the money back, but it was in my account 5 days later. They told me they were siding with me and gave my other $50 back.

Fast forward to October, I get a letter in the mail stating that they suddenly found no fault with the company and said they were taking the $50 back, but they actually took the full $100 back. I had no money in my account and ended up with -$160. I immediately switched my direct deposit to another bank because I thought it was complete crap that they would send a letter several months later saying they were taking my money back. I still owe them $160 but I REFUSE to pay it back. They also charge overdraft fees like crazy. STAY AWAY FROM REGIONS!!!

Regions will screw you over any way they can. I would give them negative stars if I could. I just got charged 2 overdraft fees again for checks they cleared at five minutes until midnight. My direct deposit isn't showing up yet but all of my colleagues' deposits hit their banks over two hours ago! This is not the first time they have done this to me. They say deposits get posted before debits but that's not true, not for them. They just want to make money and I get that, but this is just shady. Terrible business practices! I wouldn't recommend them to ANYONE and I will be closing my account as soon as possible.

I withdrew $2000 from my savings which a teller counted and put in a white envelope. Shame on me for not counting the money right then b/c the next day which was when I counted it for my needs I noticed there was only $1900 in the envelope. Had to wait till Monday to call Regions to complain since it was the weekend. When I contacted them they said it was too late since I waited (Had no choice it was the weekend) and the teller's drawer was balanced. The teller stole the $100 I was short. I'm closing my account since they have thieves working for them.

Regions Bank charged overdraft charges to the tune of $360. During a weekend, 3 day span, I spent money on essentials, knowing that I had a balance to cover it. So when Monday comes, I'm charged with 10 overdrafts. It appeared that a monthly auto-payment hit my account 2 days early on a Monday night. Even though that was the last transaction of the 3 days, they paid the electronic check first, therefore nullifying the available balance for all my previous purchases. They offered no help, except to advise me to cancel overdraft protection. I should have known I was dealing with a shady group when they screwed up my first batch of checks and charged me to re-print them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Regions Bank?

Absolute horrible customer service representation done by any so-called "professional". Call waiting at ridiculous lengths. Representatives are rude and uncooperative. They have absolutely the most idiotic of procedures. Avoid using this bank because if you need customer support then you are out of luck.

My Checking Account at Regions Bank had 73 unauthorized transactions made to my Checking Account totaling nearly $34,000 dollars. I have been denied by the Fraud Department 3 times. I attempted to get some type of monetary relief due to major financial hardship this has put on my family through various consumer agencies and have gotten nowhere. My family was separated due to the fraudulent activity that occurred on my account due to the stress and agony and loss of our house and lots of other things we worked very hard for. The same situation happen to me and my wife in 2010 with Capital One bank which caused us to lose nearly $80,000 dollars due to fraudulent activity charged to our Checking Account. I wasn't contacted not one time or received no text message from Regions Bank when the unauthorized activity was occurring. Can someone please help me get my money back.

Wish there was a rating of 0, worst bank I have ever had. They have messed my account up over and over again, but this last time really did me in. They took all my money I had in account and put me at negative $112. When I signed up I was told there was no way to overdraft period with the account I went with, I rely mostly on online banking. They took a payment out 3 weeks ago to later find out they put it back for some reason then took it again today so now I sit with a negative balance and no money. Needless to say they have screwed me sooooo bad, I will be sleeping in my car starting tomorrow night!

They refused to take responsibility for it and said they don't know how it happened but charged me $72 on top of my negative balance. Not sure how I'll ever get caught back up having no money at all to even have gas to get to work. Thank you Regions. You are the most horrible bank ever!!! Will be switching banks the minute I get this all resolved and will never step foot back into a Regions Bank EVER AGAIN... Anyone thinking of banking with Regions do not do it. They will take your money!!! I've heard this from sooo many people that have ended their accounts as well. Wish I would have known before I ever trusted Regions.

I have been a customer for over 10 years. I also worked for Regions for 5 years. Both my Line of Credit and Credit Card are at a zero balance. I strived hard to pay those off before my baby was born. When I log into my accounts, both show zero balance and nothing due. Normal I think, as I haven't used them. However, once you click on my LOC account, it says I have a minimum balance due on a $0.00 balance account? Turns out I was charged not only an annual fee but a late fee! I never received a notice for either of these. No email, no snail mail.

I've never been late on payments and asked to at least have the late fee waived. They told me no because it wasn't bank error and that I need to visit a branch! Completely disappointed. What's the point of having online messaging customer service if they're just going to redirect you to go to a branch. They didn't tell me no until I complained several times. Regions is just going downhill. I'll be completely ending my relationship with them.

Regions online banking transactions data are not being displayed to consumer accurately. I made the mistake of relying on this data to transfer money from one account to another on the day a check posted to the account. The problem is that for most transactions the items show as pending until after midnight when the bank syncs its servers. The day my check appeared as pending, I transferred the funds which also showed as pending for the same day. At midnight when the servers synced, my transfer shows as complete, the check shows as returned NSF, (they collected a $36 fee), and now show the check as posting the day before it was even shown as pending. On that day, no data was displayed at all.

To me this is a common practice of postdating to collect a fee and really should be investigated. At the very least, it is one of many online practices that Regions has used to erode my trust. I realize I could have avoided this situation by having the funds in the account when I wrote the check like the responsible person my parents raised, but that doesn't absolve Regions from creating a "Technicality" where if their customers rely on the data they choose to show, they can create an opportunity to collect more overdrafts and returned check fees.

Went to Regions Bank on Monday. Told them my wife passed away on Tuesday. Was going to use bank card, was told my checking account was closed by a sales manager in Jackson Tennessee. Would not see me, or take calls. We had been there over 10 years. Got mail, any funds would be mailed out in 10 days. Talked to other folks. Done same way. Moved all money to bank across the street, and will not be back. Pretty sorry, and low down person to treat people like that.

I have been receiving calls from Regions Bank collections/recovery department regarding a payment I HAVE made. I call the 800 number, get passed around to different people in different departments only to be told: "Yes, I see it has been paid, I am so sorry! I hope this gets resolved but my department can't do anything."

So I am transferred to another department where the same thing happens. My money cleared, everything is paid, but their computer shows I am over one month late in payment. I was told someone that would be able to assist me would contact me at a specified date and time. I never received the call. I only hear from collections. Horrible experience. This is unending.

I have been banking with Regions Bank for 14 years, during that time money has been taken out of my account. In 2015 a phone or online banker told me a 1000 dollars was taken from my account because I moved money from my checking to my savings (wow!!). 2016 lost debit card. Reported it. Canceled it, asked regions to not let any monies be taken out of account. That did not happen. Left me with a negative balance of 118.00. Now 2017 paid out the negative balance with refund but collections are still holding my money and not depositing my money into account. It has been 10 days refund was released by government on 17th of feb. regions has changed and I am changing to cannot work with bad banks.

I applied for a personal line of credit of $5000 dollars. It was approved the next day. Actually a Regions bank rep called and tried to tell me they reviewed my credit history and said they because of my excellent credit it would be better to apply for a personal loan of $3000. That would be more than enough to pay all I owe. I said ok and they will throw out the personal line of credit. Got a letter 5 days later saying they denied the loan and I could write to them and find out why. Regions why would I waste my time? I have been with your bank since 2003. I went to TVFCU THE LOAN WAS APPROVED. This is just one into several instances that Regions has failed to deliver for its customers. No way to treat a customer of 14 years.

My daughter wrote me a $3,000 check drawn on Regions Bank in Atlanta. Not only did I appear in person to cash the check, I went to the actual branch where she opened the account (not that it matters, but...). They charged me $20 (TWENTY DOLLARS!!!) to cash the check! I had to close my BOA account after an identity theft issue and had opened a new account the day before. Since I didn't have a debit card yet, I thought it would be more convenient to appear at the closer Regions. I'm still blown away. I don't think there should be any charge when presenting a draft drawn on a bank, but $5 would have been reasonable (sort of). But $20?! Holy hell, what a ripoff!

I have seen at least a dozen reviews (here and on other sites) about how Regions seems to 'double charge' online transactions. I thought I was the only one. Up until about a month ago, I have never used Overdraft Protection, and never had a problem with the processing of payments/purchases. I used to work at a Credit Union, transactions (especially ACHs) should NOT take three, sometimes even four business days to process. Below are two examples:

1. I am subscribed to a monthly subscription service. They draw their payment on the first day of every month (excluding holidays, of course). I get an email receipt from the subscription company every month on the first, then Regions takes the $10 and makes it unavailable, like normal. The problem is: it will be 'pending' for 2 days until it is processed AGAIN on the 3rd. Then they draw me negative and charge me the $36 fee. The funds were IN THE ACCOUNT when the transaction occurred, and already moved out of my unavailable balance.

2. I pay all of my bills online by electronic check, which are processed in 24 business hours. My car payment and two credit car payments (from two different financial institutions) will all process the check within almost exactly 24 business hours. Regions on the other hand, will keep these transactions 'pending' for DAYS, literally three, almost four business days.

I made a credit card payment (electronic check - which are processed in 24 business hours) early in the morning, on the 10th of Feb. (Friday). Normally, this check would process AT THE LATEST, Monday evening. I received an email from the credit card company on Monday stating they received my payment. I have screen shots of the confirmation email, as well as the electronic check STILL PENDING on Tuesday evening. I believe that Regions, somehow, are slowing down the processing of transactions. They are robbing people of their hard earned money and trapping them in a cycle of debt. It's hard to get out of living in the negative when you're giving the bank a ton of overdraft fees. Something really needs to be done about this.

When I called this bank, it was actually impossible to reach a living, breathing person. The menu does NOT give you an option for "customer service" or to speak with someone. Therefore, you must go through an absolutely ridiculous maze of option 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Another thing that really concerned me, was the fact that in order to speak to someone, you must punch in your Social Security Number. And if you're not a customer, they STILL want you to punch in your SS#. That is very suspicious and I do not trust an institution where they are asking for such personal information. This review asks two things: we need to describe our experience, which I just did, and also, the reason for the review. My reason? To WARN OTHERS that this bank makes it impossible to reach a real person and they want your SS#, before you can even talk to someone. No thanks!!

Regions will automatically deactivate an online banking payee if the account is marked closed by the payee and you cannot access history related to that account any longer. You do not get the choice to deactivate. This is poor customer service as I cannot research transactions related to this payee at all now. This is not how all banks operate case in point Hancock / Whitney Bank. I am the customer and I should be the one to choose whether an online payee is active or inactive not the bank.

Most horrible bank ever and getting worse! Borrowed money from my credit line and on Monday was assessed a 'late fee' stating that my payment was due on January 20th! Went through the maze of recordings only to be transferred to Loan Services where I held for another 15 minutes. Rep was rude and basically told me it was my problems! I have found this in the past with Regions - they have deceptive banking practices, will seemingly ensure that payments are timed so that somehow you get NSF's on your account. This is the reason I changed to Chase for my main banking account and I have NEVER had this issue again with another bank! The branch close to me just closed and my feeling is that they are struggling again like they were back in 2008. Best advice - pull your money out and go elsewhere, fast!!!

I have been a Regions Bank account holder since September 2016 and was okay with the account until I added their OD feature. After adding the feature naturally I tried to use it but kept getting declined. Instead of charging the $36 OD fee for the transaction, which I would have been okay with had they paid the item, they declined to pay the item and charged a $36 returned item fee which is non refundable even if they don't pay the transaction.

Here's my complaint, I have used OD on many accounts with many different banks and never was denied a transaction but with regions they refuse to pay any of the transactions but then charges the returned item fee. So to me it's still getting the OD charge fee without clearing the item. Why make a consumer think they have the coverage only to use it, be denied, then charged a different kind of fee that just so happens to be the same amount as the OD fee they charge when they pay the item. This does not seem right and I cannot process the way they have this setup. I called the bank several times to make sure I have the OD setup and available to me to use and each time they confirmed yes. I would never have attempted to OD my account if I knew for sure they would not honor it via the OD feature.

Yes the simple solution DO NOT attempt transactions when the funds are not available in the account. Another simple solution DO NOT say that an account has OD protection when it really doesn't only to have people use it be denied and charged some other kind of fee. This process has racked up almost $150.00 in OD fees which as a disabled person receiving SS can't necessarily afford. And I still have to pay the things I attempted to pay with the OD protection. The system is rigged.

I have been into the branch 4 times now. I have explained again and again that I have never given any login and password to anyone. All of my deposits are signed by me not for deposit only stamp and the initials L.H. on the back. In addition my name is always handwritten on the front of my checks. Furthermore I'm self-employed and have the same checks constantly going into my account. I feel that I have blatantly been accused of fraud. Where are the notifications - phone calls and/or emails - letting the customers knowing immediately of pending fraud? Why didn't the employees responsible for running the checks realize it was fraudulent. Also they are no sense of urgency for anyone at all pertaining to their customer's financial matters. They would rather treat you as criminals.

I opened an account with this bank with my daughter in 2014 to get her started with her first bank account. Everything was fine until December 19, 2016. Someone deposited fake checks into the account and withdrew cash from the fake checks. They also got money orders from the post office and cashed them. This suspicious activity went on until December 22, 2016. Why the bank didn't alert us? I have no idea. The account now has a balance of -$8000.00. What the heck. They did their so called investigation and concluded that we were at fault. We have no idea who did this and all Regions care about is getting money from whom ever.

We have contacted the police and they are now involved. You would think that Regions would wait until our investigation is over before they take action. These people have taken money out of a savings account that I have with my husband because my name was on it. They don't care and they are rude. I called and they say anything that has our name attached to it, they will get money from it. I am so disappointed with this bank. And I'm sure when we prove our innocence they will take their time returning our money. This bank is horrible.

My daughter is a college sophomore. That alone tells you that she doesn't have much money. She works 2 jobs and every dime is precious. Regions charged her $10 fee for her banking. She was supposed to have student checking. She called them to see what happened and after waiting 25 minutes she was told she didn't have the student savings account and they could fix that. They credited her $5 back but told her that she could only do 3 transactions a month (moving money or withdrawing or depositing - all those count!). But to top it all off, she discovered tonight that they charged her $3 for a customer service fee!!! Just to talk to someone after she had been on hold for 25 minutes! She is switching banks as soon as she gets back to college. The sooner the better!!!

If you are looking for a banking firm, it would be in your interest to go elsewhere! Regions Bank has become one of the worst banking firms when it comes to Customer Service, and protecting their customers. I have had my account hacked FOUR different times within twelve months, two of which happened within 29 days of each other. The first two hacks were stopped along with a phone call informing me and I received a new ATM card, which we all know is a nightmare to have to update your info. The second two were the beginning of the end! I had over $300 cash withdrawn out of my account at a local ATM, while I was in Florida on vacation over 600 miles away. Within three hours of the withdrawal I turned in the card, that was supposedly used, to their Branch Manager in Florida. The Branch Manager submitted the request to Dispute Fraudulent withdrawal, I received a letter within 7 days stating it was denied!

Their reason; because I had withdrawn the money using said card. I was 600 miles away, with charges on my account along with an ATM bank transaction, to prove I had been in FL for 5 days. It took me FOURTEEN PAGES OF PROOF, along with a lot of phone calls for them to refund my money... TWENTY DAYS LATER. Fast forward 29 days: Another trip to FL for the holidays. Again more charges to prove I was there. ANOTHER FRAUDULENT CHARGE against my account. They locked my account, no phone call to notify of charged or the fact that my account was locked. I find this out on a Saturday morning as I go to pay for fuel, for my 600+ mile trip home. Only to find out that I can't access any of my money. Did I mention that all Branches, ALONG with the 1-800 customer service numbers were closed due to the holidays and would not reopen until Tuesday. FOUR days later. Needless to say, my account is now CLOSED!!!

Right before Christmas I noticed that 6.85 was taken out of my account. It took a few days for it to show up on my statement. On Dec 29 I had an available balance of 908.22. I had my wife to wire me 400.00 due to being across seas. Well a couple hours later my account balance was standing at 2.00 with a pending deposit 905.22 and pending withdrawal amount of 400.00. I had my wife check up on the account on Dec 29th to make sure everything was ok. She informed me that 502.22 was withdrawn from the account by Collection Dept DDA Active. We still haven't figured out why the account is in collection to begin with and why our entire account has been wiped clean except the 2.00. By it being a holiday weekend we can't get in touch with anyone concerning this matter until Tuesday morning.

My husband's bank account was hacked and over $900- was taken. Regions does not immediately put the money back into your account, pending an investigation, to cover the bills like my bank does, then they start hitting you with NSF charges. On top of that we were getting late fees from our creditors. Our creditors were much easier to work with than this bank. A rep. at the local bank suggested that we get a credit card and attach it in case any more charges came up. I just got a notice from a collection agency for some of these charges from back in 09/2016. We closed this account as soon as we could and I would NEVER under any conditions open an account or recommend this bank to anyone. It is neither safe nor secure. They don't care if every penny you have is wiped out from a scam, they will take their own sweet time putting it back into your account.

It's understandable to have an issue here or there with anything, but recently the way this bank charges online purchases has made managing my online account nearly impossible. It seems that they double-charge for purchases. For example, if I make a purchase today from "X-Mart", then the online register will debit my account and show a seemingly accurate balance. However, days later this purchase, along with other similar purchases I've made, will suddenly show pending, creating a large overdraft! This has happened several times since this so-called new system has been in place.

I checked my checking account yesterday and noticed Regions had changed my account over $180 in ODFs. On December 12th, I have money in the back and used my debit card. No problems, however, a change came in from JCP and I was overdrafted for that charge or so I thought. Regions fails to tell its customers that all charges are pending and it does not matter if you have money in your account. The bank started racking up ODFs for each debit I made against money I had in the bank. I tried to resolve the matter and Regions does not listen. Next step, filing a complaint with Federal Reserve and the FTC.

With this, you put $250 into an account as collateral and they give you $250 in return as a "loan". Well you make monthly payments on that $250. Which now means the bank has $500 of your money. You paid them $250 for them to give you $250. And then, you "pay off the loan" by making small payments over 6 months to add to $250. At the end you would think you got your collateral back in return. Breaking almost even (if you don't count the small amount of interest). So, it should go, you give them $250, they give you $250. (Even) then, you pay off the $250 they gave you. (You have now given $500) and then they return your original $250 (making it $500 and you are once again, even.)

But that's not how it worked... I gave them the $250, they gave me the $250. Then over the 6 months, I paid my payments (on time every time) and have yet to receive my $250 collateral back. So, now, I'm out $250 freaking dollars! Wtf!!! How the heck am I supposed go about getting my money back!!! "Here, we are going to help you build your credit that is so bad because you are broke by stealing $250 right from under your nose!!!" DO NOT GO TO REGIONS!!! THEY ARE CROOKS!!! THEY WILL ROB YOU BLIND!!!

Opened a new account at Regions Bank Cortez Rd Bradenton FL - waited three weeks for online access to my account. Wasted time calling the branch, going in to the branch, and on the phone with the main support numbers. The branch staff promised to call me back "the next day" several times, but never did. Regions' Support sent me emails with return email addresses that were invalid and phone numbers that just hung up and said "goodbye"! Finally after three weeks I was told "they just found out" that I cannot get online access due to the nature of the account - took three weeks to find that out!!! Just absolutely pitiful - lack of customer service and responsiveness. Just the facts, you make your choice where to bank!

Regions Bank Company Profile