Regions Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Avoid Regions Bank at all cost if possible. There is a great deal of competition available in South Florida to select from. The branches are OK in terms of customer service however the back office where all decisions are made is more than lacking in professionalism and customer service. I can assure you the advertising is false and their follow up is just as pathetic. Don't expect any form of useful communication or follow through. The entire organization is a sad commentary in the banking community.

My husband and I have used Regions Bank for the past 2 years. In Dec our account was hit by a China company for over 2300. Amazingly they issued the reimbursement for the 2300 but during that time we had several checks out and acquired overdraft fees of over $900. It is now Aug and we are still fighting with them. Each month has become a struggle trying to get our account back in good standings and keeping it there. Since Dec 2016 there has been an average of $600s worth of overdraft fees. They have charged an OD Fee along with return fees and each time it is on the day that our check deposits when everything hits at once. The fees are on our direct withdrawals set up for bills.

When confronted they refused to return the fees in Dec even though they found no fault on our part and continue to put our account in the negative each month before we can even get our direct deposit from pending to posted. We have been told 100 times the deposit will hold all pending debits but each time we are charged $72 per item that's a fee for the overdraft and for the return along with each company charging us a return fee and late charge. Since January they have cost us over $6000. We transferred banks and are still fighting with them a month later.

I am the seller on a real estate contract. Unfortunately, my tenant/buyer opted to use Regions for her first-time loan. They may have been ok for her, but it's been a nightmare for me. The contract stated the loan commitment date in paragraph 20 of the FAR-BAR contract. First line said that all things within this section superseded the remaining sections of the contract. They would not provide the loan commitment and still haven't! They have been so unprofessional and rude. They said they don't answer any questions to me because I'm not the buyer. However, in more than one place in the contract, it states that they are to keep me informed of the entire lending process. The buyer gives me that authority.

I have NEVER had such a problem with a lender in all the years I've been buying and selling homes. Yet they have the audacity to REQUIRE me to answer their questions or I am holding up the close, which is total poppycock. Next, they will not provide documentation as to why they automatically invoked the 10 day extension on close. This was done with absolutely no communication. Next, when asked directly why, they said the buyer didn't have docs into them in time. THAT is on the buyer and does NOT qualify for an extension under current guidelines. The sad part of this is, had they treated me with respect, courtesy and professionalism, I wouldn't have had to write this. Hopefully at least one person will be spared the grief of dealing with Regions Mortgage!

Someone needs to look into Regions Bank's newest scam of charging overdrafts for "pending" charges, when the bank is allowing those "pending" charges to pend for days. When reviewing online banking, you will notice charges that have been processed on one day - then the next are "pending." Money will have been taken out of the account for the processed charge, but then as it is item is placed back as "pending," Regions will charge an overdraft fee for another item that comes through - when there is money in the account to cover the item is the "pending" item that was already processed the day before was not still "pending."

I believe this is the newest scam, much like the well litigated overdraft fee class action cases from a few years ago. This needs to be dealt with and class action suits need to be brought. I - for one - will be changing banks but have been keeping a record through printouts of these types of transactions. I'm ready once a class action suit is filed. This is fraudulent behavior on the bank's part.

They allowed a company to take out money out my account and would not return it even though I did not authorize the company to take the money out. They had me to complete an affidavit and then denied my claim. I went back to the bank as they ask me to and brought the proof and they then pretend that they were unable to read it. So I dropped it. They then came back the next week and charge me another $85 worth of overdrafts that just never could add up. They use to be a good bank but they're just like the others now. Use the poor to stay rich.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Regions Bank?

DO NOT BANK WITH THESE PEOPLE!!! They allowed a credit card to be opened in my name. Allowed my ex to add herself as an authorized user. Charge the card up & do balance transfers. Then they allowed her to delete herself as an authorized user without ever contacting me once. Leaving me solely responsible for a credit card bill that someone else ran up. Then they would not give me a copy of the charges so I could personally go after the person that ACTUALLY ran the card up. I will continue to post this everywhere possible until I get my money back or they give me a copy of the charges!!!

We've never experienced such a lack of professionalism, courtesy, or ethics as we have in the past few months at the hands of Regions bank! After a banking relationship of over 20 years, an incompetent employee of an unrelated business from our personal accounts, created a nightmare situation, that has been completely resolved, however, Regions has basically said that they will supply us what we need to find another bank! Since that time we've been told by several other banks and accountants, that this is Regions' way of weeding out 'old money' to bring in new money. We've also been asked by so many businesses in our area as to why we're still with Regions, and now we know why! While you may be new money now, at some point you will be old money, and you will be kicked to the curb, no matter how much money you have! (in our case over $3,000,000 in combined businesses and associated accounts).

Cash some stock in and they wire me my money to my Regions Account. Per online banking, the funds were available on Wednesday. I went by a branch to withdraw some of the funds, I was told I could not have the funds, that someone would reach out to me. Well, the next day came, I had not heard from anyone, so I went to the branch where I had opened my account. The branch manager pulled my account up, said it was because there had not been any recent activities in the account before the wire came in. She emailed the department to release my funds. I went back to work. Later I received a call from her saying the funds were frozen until the wire transfer was validated. How long will that take? She didn't know. Friday - no update, Monday - no release date, Tuesday - still validating. Needless to say, I was getting frustrated. I had never had a wire transfer take this lone to be validated, even ones coming from China!

This was coming from Australia, straight from the bank of the company I had stock in. Give me a break! How long does it take to verify the funds are legit? Sad thing, the branch manager could only email the wire department, had no telephone number that I could call and talk to. The customer service number is a joke! When you do finally get a human, they just call the branch manager! Everyone is kept in the dark about everything! I've dealt with smaller banks that handled international wires faster and more efficient that this bank! If and when I ever get my money, this account will be closed! Then they charge me for the wire transfer the original date they received the money... so they have been earning interest on my money for a week while it has been costing me money for not being able to access my money... MY MONEY!

Lost our cheques and blame on us and refuses to check on the cameras because would prove they dropped the ball. More than 10 years account treat us like **. Our account was open in Winter Garden Florida. We are closing the accounts. We were able to get other cheques from the people that wrote us the cheques. They are so wrong that their excuse is that they refund us but the amount they are talking about is another deposit we make which we have the receipts.

I deposit my check of 500 in Regions Bank account to transfer from my other account they put hold for more than 2 weeks as they already took money from my other account. The people work in branch are 0 in knowledge or they're sitting there to lie people. For that mistake to deposit I have to pay fine 200 to landlord cause I was late to pay rent. No banker cannot do anything for customer. They just **. Branch people rudely refuse to help you. At the end customer has to bear. They don't care about anything. I am going against them in small court.

Last June I was caught in a work at home scam and the company that scammed me took $100 saying they needed it in order to send my information to get started with their business. I was suppose to get the info as soon as I paid but after waiting three days I never received the info. I called customer service and demanded for a refund after learning that the company was a complete scam. I argued with them for three hours and they would only give me back $50. I said "Ok whatever" and hung up. Then, I filed a dispute with Regions to get the other $50 back. They said it would probably take a month to get the money back, but it was in my account 5 days later. They told me they were siding with me and gave my other $50 back.

Fast forward to October, I get a letter in the mail stating that they suddenly found no fault with the company and said they were taking the $50 back, but they actually took the full $100 back. I had no money in my account and ended up with -$160. I immediately switched my direct deposit to another bank because I thought it was complete crap that they would send a letter several months later saying they were taking my money back. I still owe them $160 but I REFUSE to pay it back. They also charge overdraft fees like crazy. STAY AWAY FROM REGIONS!!!

Regions will screw you over any way they can. I would give them negative stars if I could. I just got charged 2 overdraft fees again for checks they cleared at five minutes until midnight. My direct deposit isn't showing up yet but all of my colleagues' deposits hit their banks over two hours ago! This is not the first time they have done this to me. They say deposits get posted before debits but that's not true, not for them. They just want to make money and I get that, but this is just shady. Terrible business practices! I wouldn't recommend them to ANYONE and I will be closing my account as soon as possible.

I withdrew $2000 from my savings which a teller counted and put in a white envelope. Shame on me for not counting the money right then b/c the next day which was when I counted it for my needs I noticed there was only $1900 in the envelope. Had to wait till Monday to call Regions to complain since it was the weekend. When I contacted them they said it was too late since I waited (Had no choice it was the weekend) and the teller's drawer was balanced. The teller stole the $100 I was short. I'm closing my account since they have thieves working for them.

Regions Bank charged overdraft charges to the tune of $360. During a weekend, 3 day span, I spent money on essentials, knowing that I had a balance to cover it. So when Monday comes, I'm charged with 10 overdrafts. It appeared that a monthly auto-payment hit my account 2 days early on a Monday night. Even though that was the last transaction of the 3 days, they paid the electronic check first, therefore nullifying the available balance for all my previous purchases. They offered no help, except to advise me to cancel overdraft protection. I should have known I was dealing with a shady group when they screwed up my first batch of checks and charged me to re-print them.

Absolute horrible customer service representation done by any so-called "professional". Call waiting at ridiculous lengths. Representatives are rude and uncooperative. They have absolutely the most idiotic of procedures. Avoid using this bank because if you need customer support then you are out of luck.

My Checking Account at Regions Bank had 73 unauthorized transactions made to my Checking Account totaling nearly $34,000 dollars. I have been denied by the Fraud Department 3 times. I attempted to get some type of monetary relief due to major financial hardship this has put on my family through various consumer agencies and have gotten nowhere. My family was separated due to the fraudulent activity that occurred on my account due to the stress and agony and loss of our house and lots of other things we worked very hard for. The same situation happen to me and my wife in 2010 with Capital One bank which caused us to lose nearly $80,000 dollars due to fraudulent activity charged to our Checking Account. I wasn't contacted not one time or received no text message from Regions Bank when the unauthorized activity was occurring. Can someone please help me get my money back.

Wish there was a rating of 0, worst bank I have ever had. They have messed my account up over and over again, but this last time really did me in. They took all my money I had in account and put me at negative $112. When I signed up I was told there was no way to overdraft period with the account I went with, I rely mostly on online banking. They took a payment out 3 weeks ago to later find out they put it back for some reason then took it again today so now I sit with a negative balance and no money. Needless to say they have screwed me sooooo bad, I will be sleeping in my car starting tomorrow night!

They refused to take responsibility for it and said they don't know how it happened but charged me $72 on top of my negative balance. Not sure how I'll ever get caught back up having no money at all to even have gas to get to work. Thank you Regions. You are the most horrible bank ever!!! Will be switching banks the minute I get this all resolved and will never step foot back into a Regions Bank EVER AGAIN... Anyone thinking of banking with Regions do not do it. They will take your money!!! I've heard this from sooo many people that have ended their accounts as well. Wish I would have known before I ever trusted Regions.

I have been a customer for over 10 years. I also worked for Regions for 5 years. Both my Line of Credit and Credit Card are at a zero balance. I strived hard to pay those off before my baby was born. When I log into my accounts, both show zero balance and nothing due. Normal I think, as I haven't used them. However, once you click on my LOC account, it says I have a minimum balance due on a $0.00 balance account? Turns out I was charged not only an annual fee but a late fee! I never received a notice for either of these. No email, no snail mail.

I've never been late on payments and asked to at least have the late fee waived. They told me no because it wasn't bank error and that I need to visit a branch! Completely disappointed. What's the point of having online messaging customer service if they're just going to redirect you to go to a branch. They didn't tell me no until I complained several times. Regions is just going downhill. I'll be completely ending my relationship with them.

Regions online banking transactions data are not being displayed to consumer accurately. I made the mistake of relying on this data to transfer money from one account to another on the day a check posted to the account. The problem is that for most transactions the items show as pending until after midnight when the bank syncs its servers. The day my check appeared as pending, I transferred the funds which also showed as pending for the same day. At midnight when the servers synced, my transfer shows as complete, the check shows as returned NSF, (they collected a $36 fee), and now show the check as posting the day before it was even shown as pending. On that day, no data was displayed at all.

To me this is a common practice of postdating to collect a fee and really should be investigated. At the very least, it is one of many online practices that Regions has used to erode my trust. I realize I could have avoided this situation by having the funds in the account when I wrote the check like the responsible person my parents raised, but that doesn't absolve Regions from creating a "Technicality" where if their customers rely on the data they choose to show, they can create an opportunity to collect more overdrafts and returned check fees.

Went to Regions Bank on Monday. Told them my wife passed away on Tuesday. Was going to use bank card, was told my checking account was closed by a sales manager in Jackson Tennessee. Would not see me, or take calls. We had been there over 10 years. Got mail, any funds would be mailed out in 10 days. Talked to other folks. Done same way. Moved all money to bank across the street, and will not be back. Pretty sorry, and low down person to treat people like that.

I have been receiving calls from Regions Bank collections/recovery department regarding a payment I HAVE made. I call the 800 number, get passed around to different people in different departments only to be told: "Yes, I see it has been paid, I am so sorry! I hope this gets resolved but my department can't do anything."

So I am transferred to another department where the same thing happens. My money cleared, everything is paid, but their computer shows I am over one month late in payment. I was told someone that would be able to assist me would contact me at a specified date and time. I never received the call. I only hear from collections. Horrible experience. This is unending.

I have been banking with Regions Bank for 14 years, during that time money has been taken out of my account. In 2015 a phone or online banker told me a 1000 dollars was taken from my account because I moved money from my checking to my savings (wow!!). 2016 lost debit card. Reported it. Canceled it, asked regions to not let any monies be taken out of account. That did not happen. Left me with a negative balance of 118.00. Now 2017 paid out the negative balance with refund but collections are still holding my money and not depositing my money into account. It has been 10 days refund was released by government on 17th of feb. regions has changed and I am changing to cannot work with bad banks.

I applied for a personal line of credit of $5000 dollars. It was approved the next day. Actually a Regions bank rep called and tried to tell me they reviewed my credit history and said they because of my excellent credit it would be better to apply for a personal loan of $3000. That would be more than enough to pay all I owe. I said ok and they will throw out the personal line of credit. Got a letter 5 days later saying they denied the loan and I could write to them and find out why. Regions why would I waste my time? I have been with your bank since 2003. I went to TVFCU THE LOAN WAS APPROVED. This is just one into several instances that Regions has failed to deliver for its customers. No way to treat a customer of 14 years.

My daughter wrote me a $3,000 check drawn on Regions Bank in Atlanta. Not only did I appear in person to cash the check, I went to the actual branch where she opened the account (not that it matters, but...). They charged me $20 (TWENTY DOLLARS!!!) to cash the check! I had to close my BOA account after an identity theft issue and had opened a new account the day before. Since I didn't have a debit card yet, I thought it would be more convenient to appear at the closer Regions. I'm still blown away. I don't think there should be any charge when presenting a draft drawn on a bank, but $5 would have been reasonable (sort of). But $20?! Holy hell, what a ripoff!

I have seen at least a dozen reviews (here and on other sites) about how Regions seems to 'double charge' online transactions. I thought I was the only one. Up until about a month ago, I have never used Overdraft Protection, and never had a problem with the processing of payments/purchases. I used to work at a Credit Union, transactions (especially ACHs) should NOT take three, sometimes even four business days to process. Below are two examples:

1. I am subscribed to a monthly subscription service. They draw their payment on the first day of every month (excluding holidays, of course). I get an email receipt from the subscription company every month on the first, then Regions takes the $10 and makes it unavailable, like normal. The problem is: it will be 'pending' for 2 days until it is processed AGAIN on the 3rd. Then they draw me negative and charge me the $36 fee. The funds were IN THE ACCOUNT when the transaction occurred, and already moved out of my unavailable balance.

2. I pay all of my bills online by electronic check, which are processed in 24 business hours. My car payment and two credit car payments (from two different financial institutions) will all process the check within almost exactly 24 business hours. Regions on the other hand, will keep these transactions 'pending' for DAYS, literally three, almost four business days.

I made a credit card payment (electronic check - which are processed in 24 business hours) early in the morning, on the 10th of Feb. (Friday). Normally, this check would process AT THE LATEST, Monday evening. I received an email from the credit card company on Monday stating they received my payment. I have screen shots of the confirmation email, as well as the electronic check STILL PENDING on Tuesday evening. I believe that Regions, somehow, are slowing down the processing of transactions. They are robbing people of their hard earned money and trapping them in a cycle of debt. It's hard to get out of living in the negative when you're giving the bank a ton of overdraft fees. Something really needs to be done about this.

When I called this bank, it was actually impossible to reach a living, breathing person. The menu does NOT give you an option for "customer service" or to speak with someone. Therefore, you must go through an absolutely ridiculous maze of option 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Another thing that really concerned me, was the fact that in order to speak to someone, you must punch in your Social Security Number. And if you're not a customer, they STILL want you to punch in your SS#. That is very suspicious and I do not trust an institution where they are asking for such personal information. This review asks two things: we need to describe our experience, which I just did, and also, the reason for the review. My reason? To WARN OTHERS that this bank makes it impossible to reach a real person and they want your SS#, before you can even talk to someone. No thanks!!

Regions will automatically deactivate an online banking payee if the account is marked closed by the payee and you cannot access history related to that account any longer. You do not get the choice to deactivate. This is poor customer service as I cannot research transactions related to this payee at all now. This is not how all banks operate case in point Hancock / Whitney Bank. I am the customer and I should be the one to choose whether an online payee is active or inactive not the bank.

Most horrible bank ever and getting worse! Borrowed money from my credit line and on Monday was assessed a 'late fee' stating that my payment was due on January 20th! Went through the maze of recordings only to be transferred to Loan Services where I held for another 15 minutes. Rep was rude and basically told me it was my problems! I have found this in the past with Regions - they have deceptive banking practices, will seemingly ensure that payments are timed so that somehow you get NSF's on your account. This is the reason I changed to Chase for my main banking account and I have NEVER had this issue again with another bank! The branch close to me just closed and my feeling is that they are struggling again like they were back in 2008. Best advice - pull your money out and go elsewhere, fast!!!

I have been a Regions Bank account holder since September 2016 and was okay with the account until I added their OD feature. After adding the feature naturally I tried to use it but kept getting declined. Instead of charging the $36 OD fee for the transaction, which I would have been okay with had they paid the item, they declined to pay the item and charged a $36 returned item fee which is non refundable even if they don't pay the transaction.

Here's my complaint, I have used OD on many accounts with many different banks and never was denied a transaction but with regions they refuse to pay any of the transactions but then charges the returned item fee. So to me it's still getting the OD charge fee without clearing the item. Why make a consumer think they have the coverage only to use it, be denied, then charged a different kind of fee that just so happens to be the same amount as the OD fee they charge when they pay the item. This does not seem right and I cannot process the way they have this setup. I called the bank several times to make sure I have the OD setup and available to me to use and each time they confirmed yes. I would never have attempted to OD my account if I knew for sure they would not honor it via the OD feature.

Yes the simple solution DO NOT attempt transactions when the funds are not available in the account. Another simple solution DO NOT say that an account has OD protection when it really doesn't only to have people use it be denied and charged some other kind of fee. This process has racked up almost $150.00 in OD fees which as a disabled person receiving SS can't necessarily afford. And I still have to pay the things I attempted to pay with the OD protection. The system is rigged.

I have been into the branch 4 times now. I have explained again and again that I have never given any login and password to anyone. All of my deposits are signed by me not for deposit only stamp and the initials L.H. on the back. In addition my name is always handwritten on the front of my checks. Furthermore I'm self-employed and have the same checks constantly going into my account. I feel that I have blatantly been accused of fraud. Where are the notifications - phone calls and/or emails - letting the customers knowing immediately of pending fraud? Why didn't the employees responsible for running the checks realize it was fraudulent. Also they are no sense of urgency for anyone at all pertaining to their customer's financial matters. They would rather treat you as criminals.

Regions Bank Company Profile