Regions Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This bank is too cheap to hire adequate help. I stand in line for over a half hour each Friday to make a deposit, and the drive-thru takes even longer. I've tried going to branches in other nearby towns, but their cheapness seems to be an epidemic. I'll be going somewhere else soon. It's very bad business to make people wait in such long lines.

For the second time, in a short few months, I am writing a negative review of Regions Bank. We have been long time customers of Regions and had no complaints until this year. We had an extremely frustrating experience with them recently when we sold one home and financed a new mortgage. I won't repeat the details here, but I will say that I will never finance anything with Regions again. Now, we have received information from Regions that they incorrectly reported mortgage interest paid in 2014 to the IRS. Not just our account, but everyone, apparently. So, now we have to deal with this latest incompetency by Regions Bank. Suffice it to say, I will be shopping for a new bank, soon.

I am an international customer from Regions Bank since it was First Alabama Bank. The bank created an automatic customer service for its VISA-REGIONS card that requires a TELEPHONE PIN NUMBER WHICH THEY HAVE NEVER INFORMED ME, THAT PIN THAT IS DIFFERENT THAN THE USUAL PIN NUMBER USED FOR PURCHASES. The system is accessible by toll-free telephone number that works only in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico, but the telephone number informed by REGIONS BANK doesn't work from Brazil and many other countries that require a NON Toll Free number to make the calls (I would pay the calls but the bank doesn't inform a NON TOLL FREE NUMBER THAT I NEED to call).

I have many issues to solve about my card, but I can not call the bank, probably because they have too many fraud cases to solve as the ones including Mr Tom **, Mike ** and Jeff **, which are just the small visible part of the iceberg, so they can not pay attention and solve the access problem of an international customer. I hope that this post contributes for REGIONS working better. Best regards.

I have been banking with Regions for 16 yrs... I get 10,000 checks every 3 to 6 yrs from my father. I have never had any problems with Regions when I deposit my this check. But just this week... I deposit on a Thursday, wake up on a Saturday to show my account negative 9 thousand and something. I call the 800 customer service, which they tell me they placed it on hold won't be released for over 10 days... WHAT? I explained to them how the branch printed me a receipt on how money would be available. They could not help me. Went to the branch on Monday. They confirm they are holding the whole amount. While the bank the check was written on has released the money to Regions. WHY I ask... cause they believe the check won't clear. I explained that I spoke with the other bank and my father and the money was taken from his account 2 days after it was deposited.

So now I have things bouncing... charges. But the one thing is when this check clears, I will close this account. I feel like I went through a divorce. I was with this bank longer than my marriage. I was loyal, but they weren't... They didn't honor the printed deposit paper of how/when money would be in account. Even when the other bank where check was drawn on went beyond their duty and called branch mgr to say we released that money to my account. He stated he would release hold, but that was 3 days ago... so that there is 2 times they can't keep their word. Just beware.

First off, I'd like to say that I became a member of this website for the sole purpose of reviewing Regions and to my surprise there were dozens, if not hundreds, of complaints just like mine. I'm a college student so I don't have much money but I'm very good at keeping track of my finances. This week I had a posted balance of $200 in my checking and one pending charge of $100. My available balance was $100 and I used it to fund four transactions totaling $20. To my surprise, I woke up the next morning to find I overdrew by $20 and was charged a total of $144 in fees. Apparently there were several charges still pending on my account but the charges that I was told were pending by customer service had already been taken from my account and were no longer pending (or at least that's what their online banking website said).

The next day I was slapped with an additional $72 overdraft fee but after four phone calls was able to get it reversed after explaining to customer service that the Regions online banking website gave me a false balance and failed to show any pending charges. I'm still very confused on what happened to $80 in my account. They could not give me a clear answer and kept running in circles when I questioned them, and now I am stuck having to pay $144 in fees. Regions said it was neither their fault or mine but rather it was a "merchant issue" and I would have to contact the merchant in order to have my account credited for the $144 fee they hit me with.

This bank is ran by the most incompetent, greedy bunch of clowns that you could find. Yes, they're greedy even by banker's standards. If you have two charges totaling $1.00 that causes you to overdraw, you can say goodbye to $72. I was also charged a $60 fee in my savings account from absolutely nowhere a few months back. The website referred to it as an "annual fee". I'd urge anyone who's considering trusting Regions with their money to reconsider, they have no respect for their customers and I will be closing my accounts there soon. Hell, you're better off handing it over to charity than to let these people get ahold of it. At least it'll go to good use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Regions Bank?

If you are choosing a Bank, I cannot recommend Regions at all. I have been banking there for 12 years and the problems have been getting worse and worse.

They make a lot of mistakes at levels above the branch and the branch employees are not able to help most of the time. Much of the time they say "That's a 3rd party vendor, you have to call them" and the greed for fees is over the top with Regions.

I've been with Regions now for about 2 years. I've been charged with massive fees, that literally come from nowhere. I signed up for their OD protection, so much for that. I have overdrawn a few cents, and been charged 4 OD fees at once. Amounting to about $120. The customer service is little to none. When my next deposit hits, I'll be cleaning out the account, and closing it. Worst financial Institute I've used in my entire life.

I read online that if you opened an account & participated by using your debit card 10 times, within a certain time period, you would receive $200.00. I had been with Chase for a while, but could not resist, besides I had banked with Regions before, & did not have problems back then, so why not?! I was impressed by all Regions had to offer, other than banking alone. I made sure that I came at the beginning of the month, so that it should have been no problem with Social Security depositing my money the next month, but to my dismay I had to fix that issue myself, no problem.

When I opened my account I inquired about the online ad & was assured that I would receive $200.00 & an additional $50 for referring my son. I received the referral card, but not the $200.00 as advertised. When I went into the Branch I was told that I could not get both & was rudely interrupted when I tried to ask anything further about it. I am disappointed in the poor Customer Service from the Branch & call center. Neither appeared to want to help, or care. The Branch is closing, but reflects Regions anywhere. Beware...

My balance in my account showed 75.00 dollars with pending transactions already deducted. I used my card for little transactions that day. The next day my balance showed 107 and they paid two checks that came in and they put the pending transactions (that showed deducted prior from 75.00) on thru. That over drafted my account and they charge for each one 36 dollars. My husband's paycheck went in that night also. I can no longer trust the available balance that is shown on the screen. I will be taking snapshots each day of my account. I am really thinking about leaving this bank. So over being ripped off!

Very disappointing and stressful. I was told by customer service to just put 1.00 to my account to get it off a zero balance. I had 11.21 in it the night before and it magically disappeared. I tried three times to put money into my account with witnesses and was denied those three times. I get social security direct deposited there. After calling customer service several times I was invited to leave because I was stressing out the customer service people. Lol should be in my shoes. They are ripping fixed income folks off left and right. Heaven forbid you have to talk to team leaders. They sure didn't win those awards you hear about on the phone when you call from the Eldorado ar bunch. I have seven unread emails I sent concerning my account. Not good banking business. Bad faith on their part. They sure didn't mind taking my direct deposit or the 300.00 I put into my account.

How is it possible that you can get an NSF fee on pending items? I simply don't get it. I have a transaction pending, that they claim the amount is deducted from the true available balance - which creates the "available balance to pay check and other items on that date". Then I got hit for THREE NSF items, when my ending balance is still positive AFTER the NSF fees were applied. Totally stumped about this. Seems unfair. This never used to happen before. It was always about actual posted transactions. Seems as though the banks are always moving the bar.

I was caught in a work-at-home job scam this past July and had to pay $97 to get the program to do the job. After I paid, I never got the email with directions on how to get the program. After researching the company (Work At Home Paycheck aka WAH paycheck) I found out that the whole thing was a scam and that if I didn't cancel it immediately I'd lose a lot more money. I called the company and demanded a refund and argued with them for almost an hour and they said all they could do was give me half of my money back. The next day I called regions and filed a debit card transaction dispute. I explained to the lady that the program was "verified" on a job posting site, which made me believe it was legit. Anyway, a week after I filed the dispute I got a letter from Regions saying they would give me the other half of my refund back. I thought that was the end of it.

Well, here we are almost 4 months later, and today I got a letter from Regions saying that they found no error occurred and the letter stated that $97 would be taken out of my checking account on October 1st and given back to the company that takes everyone's money. I'm EXTREMELY angry. I don't have any money in my checking account (I'm actually -$160). I stopped putting my direct deposit in there when I found a prepaid debit card that will give me my paycheck two days early. Regions is constantly screwing me over. They've charged me overdraft fees for going a few cents over how much money I had in my account. THAT IS RIDICULOUS. I absolutely HATE REGIONS. They are the worst bank anyone could ever deal with and I will be closing my account ASAP.

I accidentally overdraft my account because I had forgotten about the monthly fee Regions charge. So I bought snacks and the next day I went to make a car payment with my debit card and discovered I was 35.00 short. Upon inspecting my checking account, I realized what happened. When I called Regions customer service a female representative introduced herself as Auriel and she was very well-mannered and listened to me as I explained what had happened. She then checked with her supervisor and came back and told me they would refund 28.00 and put me on an easier account that works better for me. Auriel also made a good suggestion that we open a savings acct. I'm very happy the way Regions took care of the matter. Now I can pay my car payment on time. I recommend Regions bank above all others.

Regions garnished my social security funds without checking to see if this was the case. Being on a fixed income, this hurt. Have tried legal recourse, it's like fighting city hall, they hold all the cards.

My husband who has dementia asked someone to pay for his coke with his debit card. Because he cannot remember, he had written his PIN number on a sticky note on the back. Later, when he was distracted, they took the card and within a few hours stole over $1500 from him. Regions kept on shelling out the money going through everything in his checking and savings and eventually tacked on $150 in overdraft fees. Regions never locked the account because of suspicious activity. Even after police arrested the perpetrators, Regions said tough luck and took all their money out of his social security check leaving him $400 to live on for a month. Then they took their house payment and his utilities were shut off for failure to pay. The bank manager said "you know he did it to himself." There is no corporate heart in this company. I would recommend average, hardworking people and senior citizens put their money anywhere besides here.

I was with Regions Bank since 2007. I have annual deposit to the bank over $300,000 and kept over $40,000 balance most of time. They have lost me little by little by fees. No one cares about you. I have 5 accounts with them. Once one account is closed, you are unable to view anything including the statements. You have to pay a fee to get statements.

This bank is by far the most incompetent financial institution I have ever done business with, personally and professionally. Customer service is almost non-existent, mobile app seriously lacking useful functionality, and last but certainly not least, the ridiculous and highly suspicious fees. I've severed ties with a few big banks in the past because of BS like that but this one takes the cake. Do not put your money in this hell-hole of a bank.

Regions Bank (Gainesville GA and all over). I have been a customer with Regions this time around for about 4 years. Over the last year I have had an innumerable amount of "overdraft" charges. Usually one deserved charge per every 4 "overdraft charges". Let me do the math for you... A 36 DOLLAR CHARGE STRETCHED INTO 144 DOLLARS. This happens regularly. Regions post their withdrawals, debits and deposits in such a way it's confusing. All to maximize extra charges and overdraws. Regions Bank just paid millions last year in fines for stealing from customers. Not much has changed apparently. Im over it, just switched my direct deposit and canceled my account. If you're reading this you should too.

My card information was recently stolen and used on Google. It overdrafted my account 600 dollars. I called Regions - they advised me to call Google to resolve it. Google refunded the money, now Regions wants to still charge overdraft fees to me. They said since Google refunded the money then they won't take off the fees even though it was investigated and found to be stolen identity.

I'm POA over my inlaws. They had a checking account being debited for $15 every month for 3 years. This money market account they had, I closed to pull their money together as trustee/executor/POA so they could go into assisted living. Over the course of those 3 years I would ask on occasion whenever I had to go to Regions why the $15 charge. No one could ever answer me. I thought it really odd. Anyway, they both have passed away and I now realize that their money market account I closed was open with $2 (interest) and $15 every month coming out of their checking was going into the money market. Then Regions would charge off $15 fee for the money market not being to a certain amount. I may need a lawyer on this as I finally found someone to help, but they could only close money market and get 2 months fees back. The manager wouldn't refund all those illegal fees they stole from my inlaws.

5 stars service not for the Regions customer service, but for the only one person who works in Regions Bank, Kendall located on 14770 North Kendall Drive, Miami. Thank you FARES ** for being such a professional person. Only because of you, I am still a Regions Bank customer. First of all, customer service is horrible. I was about to close my business account with them twice. So when I complained, their first respond was, "Ok ma'am, so would you like to close your business account today?" Really??? There were no questions like, "Let us see what we can do, so you change your mind." Guys, really??? This is not how you do business. Regions Bank, once again you better keep such people like FARES **, because he is the only calm, professional person who is not just talking, but also DOING HIS JOB!!! So thank you once again Mr. Fares **. If I could I would give you a 10 stars rate of your customer service. With respect to only this person.

My account was ripped off last night by the bank. Regions. I had used my debit card to buy gas, and a pizza, with over $835 in the bank. At midnight I had another $1235 electronically deposited. They overdrafted my account due to a check for $825. When, I had over 2 thousand dollars in there when they did it. They have done this in the past. I am blind, and disabled. They do not respond through customer service emails. I will use every avenue to tell others about my experience. Do not ever bank with Regions. They are crooks. Stealing from the disabled. Look at the record. Just google fraud and Regions. Several of their employees have gone to prison for doing this.

Charged me $36 NSF for $3 overdraft. My paycheck was direct deposited and the transaction posted same day. I've never had this problem at my previous bank. I will be switching back as soon as possible. I only switched because I wanted a bank closer to where I lived but this was a mistake. Regions is not the bank for me.

Poor SERVICE. Recently requested to have one my accts closed. However, the Clermont branch on highway 50 closed ALL of my accounts. Reason for closing the one account: Simple error as noted above. The call center hours are Monday-Friday. Telephone bank "Alerts" does not function when needed. Bank does NOT take responsibility for system errors. Not enough staff. This is not a bank that one can depend on for everyday banking. The hours of the Call Center clearly states it.

I recently deposited a check through the mobile app. The next morning I noticed it didn't go through, it was a hold placed on it. So I called my rental tenant and told her. She said no problem, if I gave her the check back, she would give me cash. I met up with her, gave her the check, shortly after she gave me cash and I went by Regions and asked to stop the check, that I already had cash for it. The cashier told me to let the check clear and it would only cost me $15. I said if you stop the check, it shouldn't cost anything. She said it was too late. So when I gave the tenant the check back, she stop at the check cashing place and cashed it. That's how she gave me the cash.

Later, when the hold was lifted off the check, Regions thought I was trying to cash the check, that has already been cashed by the tenant. So they closed my accounts down, for check fraud. When I went to the bank to find out what happened the cashier even admitted she told me that. The bank manager was so young and scared that she called security and escorted me out, instead of just listening to me and hearing the entire story. I told her I was not mad, I just wanted answers. She was too scared to even hear what I was saying.

I still had a deposit waiting to come through from the Veterans Administration. Instead of just returning my deposit, like they said, they held the deposit for a week then charged me a monthly account fee. Told me that, since I still had things coming to the bank they can charge me a monthly fee, even though they closed my account. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH REGIONS...

I have been with Regions bank for 12 years and we have 5 accounts with them, including accounts to three businesses. Their automated phone system always was an issues but today it went from an issues to the worst system I EVER had to deal with. Starting with asking me for my SS number or TAX ID # to log in the online banking, and, also my ATM card number and PIN #. There is NO WAY I am going to enter this information online! What if their system had been hacked??? Then I proceeded to call the 800 number, and it went further down the tube... asking me again for my SS # or TAX ID # again, which it didn't recognizes! Between my wife and I it's two SS #, and the three businesses we own, that's 5 numbers!!!

It took four calls and then 6 minutes of waiting time to get a live person. The calls were insane as I was trying every number for Regions I could get my hands on. One number even started with "let us share these opportunities with you... " and proceeded to want me push a number to hear about joining membership this or club this or buy that... REALLY! When I finally got a live person I let her have it about how insane their system is... let alone not having 24/7 support. Arghhh.

I am so used to calling customer care centers and speaking to robots or people whose dialects I cannot understand. But today I called Regions Online Banking Customer Service and spoke with Jasmine. And I just had to leave a review because she truly, truly deserves an award or promotion for the kind of customer service she gave. She listened to me, she dialogued with me so I knew she wasn't a robot. And most importantly, she was kind to me and offered me great service. She recommended I open a savings account because of the 1% interest earnings, something I wasn't aware of, so she was very knowledgeable. She was so kind and caring, and I definitely did not go unnoticed. Thank you, Jasmine! Please reward her!

I was a long time customer with Regions Bank. After a horrific discriminatory event involving my legal immigrant wife (refused her an account with excuse of security issues -- greeted with open arms the same day by Suntrust), I closed all but my HELOC account with them. Forget the fact that they offer no online payment options (a manner in which I pay ALL of my other recurring expenses), but they also offer misinformation on the regular. Recently, I spoke with an agent in effort to make TWO months of payments on my HELOC account.

Yesterday I received a call suggesting that my monthly payment for April was 12 days late and that I was "in collections." Huh??!! I had paid both March and April payments in advance (so I thought). After nearly 30 minutes on the phone today, I was informed that it is not possible to make a payment in advance and any extra payment goes to principal. So, to avoid the ding to my credit, I was forced to make yet another payment on an account which I was previously led to believe was going to be current until the 21st of THIS month. I will never, EVER, do business with Regions Bank again. I hope that others follow suit so that this sorry excuse for a banking company would quickly disappear with all of its either ill-conceived (at best) or deceitful (at worst) practices.

I use eBay to ship and their shipping app. When PayPal does not have the funds or it's holding the funds, it tried to get funds out of the bank acct. I was not opted in to overdraft protection. I got like 3 overdraft fees. As Paypal was holding my funds I did not have the money to make the bank acct current. So in the meantime my checking acct is in the red. I then opted IN for overdraft protection. And shipped a few more items but with the pay later option. Paypal ** up and decided to take funds out sooner than later and even with overdraft protection ON. I still GOT several NSF Fees. I e-mailed Regions Bank customer service and they said there was nothing they could do as this overdraft protection was selectively enforced. WTF. What is the purpose of having NSF protection if the bank will not honor it???

I recently got PayPal funds released and got the bank acct current, but had a dozen nsf fees (over 400 dollars) and all the stuff I shipped out I made zero on as it all went to nsf fees. Regions was slapped with a 7.5 million dollar fine in 2015 for shady nsf tactics. Well it's 2016 and they are STILL DOING IT FOLKS. BANK ELSEWHERE NOW!!!

Once in March and again in April, Regions took money out of my checking account to pay a second mortgage I have with the bank. Both times, I was late with one month's payment and both times -- since I wasn't aware they stripped my account -- it made incoming automatic bill pays bounce. And, both times they charged me a $36 overdraft fee.

My complaint was met with this reply: "Regions has a program in place called the Automatic Offset Program. If a customer has a charged-off, overdrawn, or past due account with us and currently has an active checking or savings account, our Collections Department will debit or offset their active deposit account to make a payment to the delinquent account." It may be legal but it's immoral for a bank that has already been fined $7.5 million (in 2015) for their illegal overdraft fee practices. I changed banks to keep their fingers out of my account.

Regions Bank Company Profile