Find a Debt Collection Agencies partner

Take a Financial Relief Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC?

Original review: June 10, 2021

These people although affiliated with the actual debt you owe with the credit company, from what I read, buys accounts off the credit companies and is not actually practicing legal activity, rather their own, so I assume these companies buy other identities accounts and then do kind of what they want, which is if you look into articles and such from people who know, Not legal, and there are laws that protect any consumer who owes debt. More from personal experience, if you do interact with anyone calling from the (actual) debt collection agency (there's even fake ones calling me at this point, any my family who have nothing to do with this and influences their lives in a negative matter..).

From personal experience, the person calling will always simply just ask for money, even if they ask "why", and you explain, that you are unable to pay them, which from my experience is I simply don't have money past necessary needs each month, that they just freeze and ask the same question "from the top" until their goal is achieved to simply get money from you. Talking to them is a trap, since they just will keep asking you..which doesnt lead anywhere, and their practice is criminal, so it's completely safe to ignore, them, though the calls and instigations are very annoying until they stop .

If I had a lottery ticket of (I dont even owe much under 10k total from about 10 years ago), I invested in something that turned out to be a scam and most of my money was stolen while I spent some on personal expenses I dont own anymore. (I dont own my own property, I live in a room with a few things) but see it's just a number they call and "give me money kind of thing" but I dont blame the people calling they just work for their, llc or whatever, So in my case I rip any letters and block calls, and why they call from different area codes doesnt mean anything other than that the people calling dont matter and you're ok not worrying or paying them unless you chose to (or can in my case, I simply dont want them bothering me) which itself is also illegal in the US and most countries...

Original review: April 27, 2021

I had been getting calls and hangups from various numbers, some local and some from various area codes for the past 7 or 8 months. I started calling some of these back and found out it was these geniuses. And ascertained they were actually trying to contact someone in my family who lives across the country. I told them they had the wrong number, that I was not the person they were trying to contact, so they asked me how to contact the person they were looking for - I told them to pound sand and get a real job, now when they call I keep them on the line as long as I can and harass them like they have harassed me. I call them anything I want, anytime I want and I offer to come to their office and bother them. These lowlifes need to be investigated and I have some good connections with the Federal Trade Commission so payback is coming.

This is NOT MY DEBT so the fines incurred by them (I have documented every call, number and contact to the point my attorney feels I should do very well in the settlement). Stand your ground, these wannabe 'debt collectors' are nothing more than an operation that uses phone lines for illegal practices and they will pay for these numerous infractions. It is not a secret that people hate these calls, and the tide is turning since people now fight back. They made an enemy for life, and I with the help of a law firm and the FTC will put these ** out of business.

Get buying tips about Debt Collection Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Make no mistake these are fraudsters who try to illegally collet debts that are often (A) not yours (B) no longer legally collectable due to the statute of limitation or (C) never existed to begin with. They have been known to call 20 times a day according to complaints against them as well as make illegal threats of contacting your employer and the Consumer Financial Collection Agency has forced them to repay their victims, fined them and even ordered them to cease trying to collect large sums of money that is no longer or was never legally owed by consumers.

These idiots tried calling me today with someone else's name which tells me they are still defrauding consumers because the number they called me at has been in my name for over 10 years now. California law states that debts like the ones they try to collect on are no longer subject to collection after two years so the person they are looking for they can't legally touch in any way even to place the collections on their credit report. Keep in mind that if these people start harassing you there are several law firms that will take the case pro bono and charge their fees to these crooks just be sure to document the calls you receive from them and contact one of those firms!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Portfolio is not a real debt collection company. They have called me for a long time now almost every day. The debt changes each time they call. They can't tell you who it's for exactly. They have given me several different names. Rude every time they call. They won't stop calling either. I'm going to change my number so they will stop.

I have no debt. I've never used credit in my entire life. I've always bought things with cash. I looked up my credit history and nothing is on it. Each time Portfolio calls it's a different story. It's just a scam trying to scare you out of your own money. Some law firm should put out their feelers and get up enough people that have been called by these people for a class action law suit.

Original review: July 13, 2020

I will try to be brief.... I had a gas card, I attempted to pay it before moving out of the country but (long story short) they refused payment at that time. This is fodder for another review. 13 months later I am getting calls, sometimes 10 or more a week, sometimes as many as 5 in a single day. I use Google Voice as a message number as I now live overseas, so I am able to log, block, save, and monitor calls pretty well. In the last 9 months (at which time I was I assume, sent to collections) I have received about 400 calls from over 85 different numbers, approximately. I am keeping track for when they stop. I have my plan for the next step. They never leave a message. I know who it is, because google is free, I call them back.

Twice I let it ring through to their call center. I attempted to talk to the representative, but alas, they want my name, telephone number (I provided this) but then want my address, and other information to "help me". I asked why they want to help me, when I am calling to help them. If I am feeling spicy I will say something like, "Help me help you help me, I am calling you back, you keep calling!". This goes around and around for a bit until either they end the call (once) by hanging up on me, or we get nowhere with questions (once) and I end the call since they refused to speak to me. The people on the other line speak very carefully and divulge nothing, not even what their business does, they are very guarded.

Having worked in collections for a limited time, I learned a lot, like what a company can and cannot do. Many of them skate a thin line of legality, like this one. They use robocalls to stalk me, and never leave messages and pose as a financial consulting firm or something on their old voicemail, but the voicemail has changed and it is unclear who they are and what they do. What I know is they called me, I did not call them, so a name and a number is sufficient to begin a dialogue without going into a lot of details, but, maybe afraid of legal repercussion. I think typical statute is 2 years for collections, it's quite a bother. Online I have found references saying they are not "accredited" so there is that.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Continued harassment from this organization to include incorrect amount reported to credit bureaus and harassing calls. Agreed to a settlement, made initial payment and they did not process final payment stating they were unable to AND took balance back to original amount. Fraudulent Practices that should be illegal!!!

Original review: May 7, 2020

Portfolio illegally reports items to credit reports that are over 20 years old. The FCRA allows debt to be reported for 7 years. Portfolio isn’t interested in following the law. I’ve contacted several attorney generals about this and they are now being investigated.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I have been trying to pay a judgment that I got back in 2017. My account manager or the person above my account has hung up the phone every time I call. The apartment complex performs an unlawful eviction tossing all my belonging before the time granted by state law expired. I have been trying to pay the unpaid rent, but not the costs of trashing my items like my kids' bunkbeds, my bed, a dresser, a skateboard, and tags and chains of my deceased dog. I have been trying to have a simple conversation with Mona and she has only yelled and behaved rudely to the point that I can no longer get a hold of her as she refuses to take my calls. I have not been able to clean my credit and find a house for me and my three children.

Original review: April 22, 2020

They have contacted me even more now after Covid19 with the phone calls, several times daily from different states. No other has called me but this company. There is something inherently wrong with the owners of this organization.

Original review: April 16, 2020

They have an easy payment system online and will delete your account once settled after 30 days. Really hard to get others to do that so kudos to them. They also give you offer letters which you can also reduce how much you have to pay. The downside to this company are two things. First, minor issue. Their online chat is horrendous. You have to provide them with so much information in regards to your account that when you go look it up it kicks you out. I was trying to ask one simple question, not even related to my account, just a general question, and for a week I could not get anyone to answer it without needing name, phone number, account, merchant, last 4 digits of social security, account balance and like two other things just to even get them to answer if taking can be accepted as paid in full. After a week and online sleuthing, I found the answer in a myFICO forum.

Second, the amount of freaking contact they attempt. Every day 2-10 times with different numbers. On Sundays at 8:30 am or on a Tuesday at 9:01pm. I was making payments for 10 months, put them on hold, the next day just a flood of calls. And when you are making payments, I see no reason for them to mail you a letter 2-3 times amount about when your payment is due, a reminder of payment due, and thanks for your payment. The amount of damage they are doing to the environment with insisting on wasting resources to let you know when something is due is crazy. Just set up an SMS or email system. Other than those gripes, they're not bad. Their online payment is simple and easy to use. I've had no issues with their customer service. Be communicative in a friendly manner and they'll work with you.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Company Information