Struggling with Credit Card Debt?

Get relief and reduce what you owe

Debt Relief Options
1.00/5

portfoliorecovery.com

Struggling with Credit Card Debt?

Get relief and reduce what you owe

Debt Relief Options

151 Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2019

** they called from this number and change numbers every day. The debt was written off years ago. But they keep calling. I sought an attorney, used call blockers but they continue to call. I spoke with them and informed that debt was written off so they stop calling at 8 am. Now they call at 9 am. Once they sent me a fake court date to come to court.

Original review: July 6, 2019

These people have been trying to contact a person who shares my name for the past six months regarding a Capital One debt. At first, I was nice and informed them that I believe they have the wrong person. I have no Capital One credit card on my credit report, and have never had any Capital One credit lines in my life. They asked if my date of birth was such and such. I told them NO. They asked if I lived at such and such address in South Carolina. I told them NO, I don't even know anyone who lives in South Carolina. They asked if the last 4 of my SSN was **, and I said NO. The only thing I have in common with the person who owes that debt is a VERY common name.

The woman I spoke with thanked me, and said they obviously had the wrong person. I thought this was settled. The calls stopped for 2 weeks, then started right back up. Same thing. Trying to collect the exact same debt. I told them again that they have the WRONG PERSON. They keep right on calling! This is harassment! This has been going on for SIX MONTHS! Sometimes they will call 2-3 times a day. Something needs to be done about this nonsense.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Collection Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Letter to my father to collect a 3.7k debt from Capital One. My mother received a letter stating that my father had an outstanding balance and now into collection. My father passed away 30 years ago and this debt was acquired in 1999 and it went awry in 2003. I have had a call on my cellphone...I do not owe this bogus debt? They said that legal proceedings? Today again, spoke to a rep and they said they will notate this. This company is a predator, the debt occurred after my father passed, they call people who do not have the debt, they threaten with legal action. How do we report to the Better Business Bureau and spread the word.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Portfolio Recovery continues to break Federal Law and engage in criminal business practices which resulted in their being found guilty and fined by the United State Federal Govt. In our experience, this criminal enterprise sent a single notice of claiming ownership of an account in our name that never existed and was disputed several times with the claimed creditor they purchased the account from. They, then, proceeded to file a lawsuit seeking the amount claimed was owed and fees. Even after disputing this with them, they then threatened to garnish wages, seize vehicles, and any valuable property they could to satisfy a $1100 debt account that was not ours to begin with. Needless to say, the process is still ongoing with complaints filed with the federal government and NASDAQ exchange that this publicly traded company is a member of and traded on.

From the CEO right on down to the shareholders, paralegals, customer service reps, and their representing lawyers, the first instance of breaking federal law and preying on the American people didn't seem to get their attention or change their behavior. In fact, their entire so-called business model is predicated on parasitism and predation - siphoning what little assets and wealth the poor have into the hands of parasites who serve no function or purpose in society other than to attack and feed on it. It should be safe to say that far more stringent and exacting legal consequences will now be coming to this group of criminals and predators. Things will move beyond fines. Keep watch. The investigation is ongoing.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I recently decided to check my credit and had some collections from a few years back after a job loss. I called Portfolio and they agreed to a paid in full settlement. I paid the agreed amount immediately over the phone. They only deducted the amount I paid and it’s still on my report. It’s only 121$. I would have paid it all had I know. GET THINGS IN WRITING FROM THESE LIARS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC?

Original review: May 21, 2019

I in bankruptcy due to Toyota and a really bad car deal that went very sideways then to find out that Ally sold my cars to Portfolio Recovery Assets LLC that treating me like crap on the phone and disrespected me then 2 days before they start to procedures to repossess the vehicle due to no proof of insurance but I had insurance on the car since I bought them so this has been hell dealing with this company and with Ally not telling me any about selling the accounts I think it's BS cause I signed contract with Ally not this crap company so I hope someone from corporate call me to make this right.

Original review: May 20, 2019

This company is calling me multiple times a day. They are calling my office, my cell phone and my former mother-in-law's home. They call from different numbers every time. This is over some socks that I ordered from KingSize Direct that I was dissatisfied with and the company would do nothing about my complaint so I never paid for them and threw them away. Now I have this company harassing me multiple times on a daily basis. Multiple times per day even on holidays and at former relatives' homes. This is absolutely ridiculous. Now it's on my credit report hurting my credit. How is this even legal? By the way they are stating that I owe more than $450.00 when the socks I ordered were $136.00.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I had an account with American Express that disputed on the merits of its written contractual basis but it was still sent to various collection agencies (at the same time) including Portfolio Recovery Associates. Despite the passage of well more than 10 years they still call and annoy me at various times of the day and even late at night and as early as 6:30 A.M.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Portfolio Recovery has been calling my house on a daily basis two-three times a day. On a different number every time they call. I don't pick up my house phone. When I do pick up their call ask them what is it regarding to. They won't tell me. They ask for my husband. When I met my husband 10 yrs ago yes he has some debt. But now he has an excellent credit. Between the two of us. We have over 100,000 in credit line. Do we looks like someone that would owe debt? Stop your ** nonsense robot calling and harassment. Thank you very much!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I'm recovering from years of money issues. This company has harassed me at least twice on a payment plan I'd already set up, and then agreed to make a note that I'd pay another debt off after those debts were cleared. However, I was told that I was still going to be harassed by phone and mail, as if the arrangement doesn't exist. I DO NOT LIKE this company. I understand debt collectors aren't your friends, but they could at least operate with some common sense.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Received a letter saying a debt I had was set up for payments to be taken out of my bank account with U.S. Bank. Not my account, so not worried. This is a major scam that everybody needs to be aware of and report them. This type of stuff needs to be stopped immediately. People need to be aware and know what's going on. Probably getting phone calls, but scam calls are blocked, thank goodness...

Original review: March 9, 2019

They sent my son a debt today 2/28/2019 in the amount $233.71 owed from US Cellular that he owed back in 2004. I explained to her he is on disability and lives with me and a debt that is owed from 2004 it is impossible to collect. I told her she need to read up on Oklahoma laws. You cannot collect from a debt that old and just now trying to collect for it. Really I have never heard garbage like this in my entire life and I am in my 60's.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have NEVER missed a payment. Ever. On Anything. Now I suddenly owe 1200 on my electric bill? Something I can easily check on my account. Sure enough, no missed payments. Yet I "owe" these scammers 1200 for this BS. If I missed this many payments, I'd have no power right now.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

While the person I spoke with on the phone was polite enough, I felt something was off about the reported debt that we supposedly owed. The man on the other end claimed we owed over 4,000 dollars. I became suspicious when he claimed there was an offer to pay only 1000 dollars of the amount owed and we would be cleared of this debt.

I thanked the man and made a lot of non-committal noises. I did not agree to pay anything. Instead I got the phone number and address. I suspect the address is fake. I immediately googled the company as soon as I hung up the phone. There are many complaints about the company and a lot of references to it being a scam. I urge people to do their research before committing to anything. Here is a link I found that may be helpful in standing up to these types of calls: **. Good luck all!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I've been trying to get details of a settlement from these people for months now. I even resorted to sending a request via certified mail to which they responded with completely unrelated documents, showing that they didn't bother to read the letter I had sent. They consistently lie on the telephone saying that something is being sent, but then another representative will say that the documentation doesn't exist. A "manager" today claimed that they don't keep records showing purchase of accounts, so I guess they don't keep basic business records?

Their agents constantly contradict themselves and each other. They will give you a half-baked answer to get you off the phone, but will magically have a different answer when you press them and they have to read documents that are on the screen in front of them. One of the best is when they don't pay attention to what you're saying because they're distracted by the office celebrating someone successfully extracting money from someone.

It's not like you really have any choice of dealing with this company, but hope that you never mess up and fall into arrears on an account that is sold to these bottom feeders. Don't bother dealing with them yourself. Get an attorney to deal with them and get absolutely everything in writing. They rely on you defaulting or just giving them money and are unable to function if they actually have to do anything outside that plan.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

These people call constantly from different phone numbers. The person that they want has my last name and isn't related to me. I've told them in the past to stop calling my home. I'm not related to this person. The person that had that name who was related to me died in 1980. Even after telling them this, they continue to call my home phone and my cellphone number. I have no accounts in collections. These people have found my parent's number and call them constantly also. Something should be done with this bogus collection company. I hate the phone companies that will not do anything about things like this.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We have worked with them for 5 months, and in our January interaction they tripled the amount they were authorized to deduct! Not a small amount... $3000 vs the $1000 they were authorized!!! Upon calling, it was “too late to fix it tonight” but all would be reversed and redeposited the next business day. We are 3 days past the “next business day” to no avail, having endured multiple EXTREMELY RUDE “managers” and “executive directors” who have all told us different lies!!! My favorite being, “it’s your bank that won’t accept the deposit/refund.” FYI, my bank says nothing has even tried to come through, and nothing would be held up anyway. Complete trash of a company employing the same as far as I’m concerned. Stole money not authorized to take, lies about it being redeposited, rude representatives who I’m learning say whatever they want to get you off of the phone.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

For about the last two years, I have been getting a phone call almost every day from Portfolio Recovery, and sometimes two or three a day. I never answer, and they never leave a message. One time, about a year ago, I answered and asked why they were constantly calling, and they asked to speak to my son. When I asked why they wanted to speak to him, they said they couldn't tell me, so I said I would tell them nothing until they explained why they were calling, and I asked them to stop calling. They keep calling, and I can't block their calls because they use a different phone number with nearly every call.

My son still gets all his mail at my address because he is renting a house a few miles from me, and doesn't want mail delivered there while he is at work. I know neither he nor I have ever gotten a letter from Portfolio Recovery, and the only debt collection letter I ever got was about an ambulance bill; the collection agency dropped it after I wrote them an explanatory letter. Last year, after answering that one call from Portfolio Recovery, my son and I did full credit report checks on ourselves and my wife, and the credit reports showed no unpaid or disputed debts from anyone. My son has recently been pre-approved for a house mortgage, and the mortgage lending agency (his bank) found no reason to question his application. I would like to know how I can stop their constant harassing phone calls.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I have been harassed now for about seven years about a debt to Capital One that was written off years ago and removed from my credit report. I requested that they validate this debt and show me that they are authorized to collect this debt but they never would. They mail me bills every few months that I just throw away. The big problem is they call and call and call. I block each number and they do it again. I have been on the do-not-call list for years. I tell them I'm on the list and they say sorry but a few days later they call again.

I even tried to reason with them by saying debt is way too old and can't be put on my credit report. They claim they can but that's a lie. Someone needs to file a class action lawsuit on these people to bankrupt them since they refuse to obey federal law. Hard to believe but they are listed on the stock market. Look up their name and notice they don't show any addresses. The reason is that they are afraid that someone they have been harassing would show up at their door. They fear the public because they treat people so badly. What a business model.... Hiding behind hidden addresses and bogus phone numbers. Dealing with these people is like dealing with loan sharks that were not the guys that did the loan.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Our company is on the do not call list. I keep blocking Portfolio Recovery’s phone numbers because they keep soliciting our business. Why is Portfolio Recovery exempt from obeying the law? Enough is enough. WE DO NOT WANT TO DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Many years ago I had a loss of income and came up with an agreement to pay 60% of the debt and have the rest written off. I paid all my debt as agreed and I still keep getting harassing phones calls from Portfolio for the balance that was supposed to be written off. They cannot sue me nor try to go after the balance except to keep calling and harassing me. This is terrible of a company to keep doing this even after paying off what was agreed.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I was diagnosed with Cancer in 2012 forcing me to not be able to pay bills or credit cards. I am still fighting cancer and on disability. I was given 250.00 as a Christmas with that I called Portfolio Recovery Associates (debt collected) since they have been calling 4 times a day from different phone numbers. I called about a deal on a store credit card from back in 2012. On 12/13/2018 I was told that they would accept the 250.00 as a paid as agreed and it would say paid as agreed on my credit report. I asked for a letter in stating this, and they said they don't do that, I told them that I would have to go to the bank and deposit the money.

I was told that I would have to pay it during that phone call to make sure that I don't get someone else that would not be authorized to make this deal. I told my roommate this and he authorized me to use his card, with the understanding that I would hand him the 250.00 right away and he too was told by Portfolio Recovery that it would clear the debt and would not be charged anything else. I received a letter stating that there will be recurring payments coming off the card until it is paid off. With a date of 12/14/18.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

That company is 100% scam. They send me in the mail and I checked it out and what is this? Probably a debt collector wants me to pay $462.82? Really? And other thing I did not own Capital One. I tell my parents for what's going on, My mom was shocked. She said to me "Did you own a Capital one?" I was said "No I did I only have American Express serve, Card dot com and Walmart Moneycard, That's all." That company is a Scam! And one more thing, Why in the world's name they tried to sue me for? They suing me just for nothing. So Screw Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC. -_-

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

This company is a scam & should be federally prosecuted, they have called multiple times a day from bogus numbers, texted me, & threatened me regarding a fictitious payday loan they say I took out 14 years ago for the last 10+ years even going so far as to mail me fake legal documents requesting a settlement payment. I am certain these fraudsters convince some people to pay fake debts with these tactics. This is wrong, these filth are allowed to harass people for decades with no repercussions. Something should be done about this fake company.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

So I owe debt to Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC. They ended up sending me something in the mail about a court order from Johnson Mark debt collection. I called Johnson Mark up and we made arrangements to get things paid off quickly. I had been making payments of $65 each week for two weeks then after that would be $32 every week. I had been doing so and had ask before that, "Is there going to be any legal action on my part because I don't want to get sued?" That said no as long as I make the payments and keep in contact with them if something goes wrong that they would not go any further.

I got something in the mail after making the first payment stating that I didn't go to court and it went to default in their favor and was fined another 250 extra dollars and screws up my credit even more than it is now. This is **. They never told me that I needed to go to court and that everything was fine as long as I kept paying what I needed to pay which I did and now because it went into default I can't fight it now **.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

This company is the worlds worst ever!!! 4 years ago I was paying on a CareCredit acct. I had to quit work because I had chronic COPD and couldn't work anymore... went on disability. These people called and kept calling even after they took me to court. I let them know I was on disability but they insisted that I pay what I owed... wanted me to agree to a small amount every month. They will harass you to no end. I'm so sick of their calls several times a day and always from a different # and state!!! This company is a third party that "buys" people's accounts when the debtor doesn't want to fool with trying to collect it. They can kiss my butt! I'm sorry about the debt but I live on disability now... It doesn't matter that I paid on this account religiously before having to quit work. Not happy with these people at all! They never stop!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

These scumbags are breaking the law on so many state & federal levels - I received a default judgement because I never received my summons to court. My mailing address has been the same my entire damn life! But I didn't even find out about it until five years after the judgement when these pigs show up to collect 40% of my wages (yeah, definitely NOT applying for credit ever again. The credit industry can eat my ENTIRE **!). They garnished me when I was already desperately broke, scraping by trying to support my family- newborn baby at home. Here's the kicker though- the judgement was for a debt that was well beyond the SOL!! What kinda judge grants a default judgement for an expired debt??? I finally paid those scuzzy ** off via garnishment & IN ENTIRETY, went on with my life & then got ANOTHER BILL about 6 months later, paired with what I presume was a fake garnishment court doc or something.

** quit my job and I'll now I'm just ducking these ** until I find a new identity or something. Zombie debt is REAL, y'all. These sons of ** will NOT DIE. And now, they're ruthlessly badgering citizens AGAIN with the robocalls, harassment, etc. WHY ISN'T THE CFPB OR THE FTC DEMOLISHING PRA?? They've been engaging in illegal and horrifying tactics for the last DECADE at least! I shouldn't have to go Carmen San Diego on everyone's ** to escape those losers

ya know?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Complaint Filed With The FTC: Xfinity/Phone #s. Xfinity influences COLLECTION AGENCIES to BADGER your/our home phone! How many times a day/week do you get phone calls from the likes of CBE GROUP, Diversified Consultants, Sallie Mae/Navient, MIDLAND CREDIT, Portfolio Recovery? If you're an Xfinity (Comcast) customer I bet you're up to your ears! It would be interesting to see how many people who have Comcast (Xfinity) as their phone carrier receive the bulk of these pest-calls. Xfinity must be reissuing the phone numbers of their former deadbeat customers. These 'formers' are probably in collection status. New phone customers are issued those same numbers by Xfinity and then they become the 'red meat' badgered by the myriad of collection agencies! What the FTC doing for us? SOMETHING? ANYTHING? Let's yuck it up! It's our tax money! The FTC is worthless! -- Just like the former president!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Portfolio Recovery has resorted to illegal practices! I do NOT have any debt payment arrangements with them whatsoever, nor have I ever even spoken to any of their employees. Yet they are now reporting “missed payments” on my credit report. They have now done this twice, but they were 6 months apart! I’m reporting this to the state attorney generals office, as well as the BBB and the FTC. If you are also getting this done to you, PLEASE report them for it! They can’t be allowed to break the law at our expense!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

These people have been calling me for months, sometimes twice a day. I have answered two or three times but no one is ever on the line. I have no unresolved debt, my credit score is in the 800’s. I’ve blocked so many phone numbers I’ve lost track. Every time I get one blocked they call from another state with a new phone number. Why can’t these idiots be stopped? This is pure harassment.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Company Information