1.16/5
Based on 98 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 16, 2017

100 Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Portfolio Recovery is trying to collect on a debt that is over 10 years old. The Arkansas statute of limitations on a written contract is 5 years but they are still try to collect it from me. I have sent them a letter without implying that I own the debt stating the Arkansas law.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

They have called my mother every day for 2 weeks, we block robocalls, so they call right back from a different number. My mother had a stroke and cannot speak, told them this with every call and asked for written info to send POA to so we can handle the situation, they will say they need to speak with her to get permission to talk to me. SHE CANNOT TALK! They want me to fax them the POA with the account number, which I don't have and they won't give to me. Spoke with a supervisor, that was a joke. I used to be a collector so I know the rules and I know the games. They can keep calling, but until I get proof of what she owes and why, they are not getting one dime.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

This company calls and harass me on a daily basis. Sometimes two or more times a day. This has been going on for five years or more. I have been making payments as I could afford them over this period of time. However in February of this year I set up a scheduled payment plan so that they could quit calling me. Needless to say, they continue to call me two or more times a week because they either do not take out the scheduled payment or they cancel my payment schedule. Every time I try to explain this to them they try to make it my fault because of their screw up. I will admit that I have not been the nicest person to deal with since setting up the payment schedule because it bothers me that they continue to call. Especially when I make the payments on time and they are not applying them to my account.

Today I received another call from them to set up another payment schedule (this is the 5th time doing this) because someone went into my account on Aug. 5, 2017 and cancelled what I set up on July 19, 2017. I was unaware of this happening until I received their call. When I tried to explain not only to the associate but also to her manager they told me that they didn't do it. I told her they had to because I have not been in that account since July 8, 2017. As I was trying to explain the situation the manager kept interrupting me and was not trying to hear what I was saying. I was already upset because they called and was admittedly being rude but this really upset me.

So I tried to set up the arrangement once again with the associate. She kept asking questions and I told her that she already has all of my information and to just please set up the payments so we can end this call because I was upset and didn't want to talk about it anymore. So she hung up on me. I called back and explained my situation to another associate, who did not ask all of the dumb questions the previous associate did and setup the payment plan yet again without issue. And requested that they send me letters confirming this info. I'm sure they are going to screw things up and start calling me again because they do this literally all of the time.

These people do not communicate with one another nor do they read the notes in their system. Because if they did they would know that I have set this up numerous times and with various people. Every time they call they are calling from a different state and I have to tell them to read their notes and that's when they proceed to tell me that they see in their notes that I have spoken with someone previously and set up a payment schedule but that I did not make a payment. Funny thing about that is that after they took out the "missing" payment they sent a letter stating that they took out the money. Also, they tried to tell me that something was wrong with the banking information and that they received an NSF message from the bank which I know is also a lie because I have another account that has the same banking info and that payment was taken out without a problem.

This company is the most incompetent company that I have ever dealt with. They really need to get it together and do their jobs because it is extremely frustrating to continuously be harassed due to their employees not reading their notes and not following through on posting payments correctly. If they had their company in one central place instead of all over the country they could possibly do a better job of keeping track of what their employees are doing.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

7 years ago, I got very angry with a bank. They jacked my credit card interest up to 30% and lied about when they would lower it back to normal. So I made payments until I paid back the money borrowed. (They just didn't get any interest.) Then I called them and told them "no more, I just could not pay all that money." They eventually wrote it off. Then I started getting calls from Portfolio Recovery. Just the name implies they are the good guys trying to help the creditors. I blocked more than 70 phone numbers connected with them. This was in 2011 when they started calling me. I checked my credit score recently and found they changed the date to 2013 now. The debt itself should be off the books entirely in September. I am thinking of contacting an attorney friend of mine and we may go after lost money due to higher interest rates because of this.

Portfolio is very shady and you owe them nothing. They buy old debts and try to scare people into paying them off. They sometimes sue and get judgments on people that don't know any better. As I understand it, in Texas, a credit card debt more than 4 years old cannot have a judgment placed on it. Further, the date of the last payment made to the original debtor is the charge off date. Not the date the collector decides to put on your credit report. That would be fraud. Portfolio Recovery, as I understand it, has and is currently being sued for this.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I have on my reject list as of today 07/12/2017 24 different phone # from about 10 different states from the same company. They will just don't quit calling. Everyday one to two calls. What agency can I contact to stop these calls?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC?

Original review: April 22, 2017

20 years ago I had a debt. Every 2-3 years this reappears with a different date. When it does they call and harass my friends, family, employers and me. They tell the attorney general and BBB they will remove and never contact me again and then it starts 2 years later... anyone else because it is ILLEGAL to keep changing the date!

Original review: April 13, 2017

First of all, they are not acting on behalf of a creditor. They've purchased the debt from a creditor. I was served papers, apparently 3 times, however, I do not have any knowledge of this happening. I filed for chapter 13 bankruptcy after this company had already, unlawfully gained a judgement in total amounts of nearly $14K via 3 separate judgments. When I've contacted the courts, they cannot provide the original debtor. First off, how can a collection agency who has purchased your debt from an institution you held your contract with, be able to sue anyone for debt they purchased at a rate of .10 on the dollar? Second, how can a collection agency who is not the original creditor get a judgment against you, let alone for the SAME DOLLAR AMOUNTS OWED TO THE ORIGINAL CREDITOR WHEN THEY PURCHASED IT FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR?

Third, the original debtor you signed your legal contract with has already written the debt off their books, gaining a federal tax deduction for your inability to pay, while a collection agency is legally allowed to purchase this unpaid debt for pennies on the dollar and harass you in your hometown and country by gaining a judgement for all to see, how is this not the worst form of harassment and how can a collection agency sue you when you never conducted business with them??? Anyone reading this, mark my words, if they will take me to court 3 times without my knowledge and gain judgements, filed on the title of my home, which never dissolve and are payable at the highest legal rate of interest, you better get everything recorded (check your state's recording laws prior to doing so to ensure legality) and in writing.

Do nothing without documented confirmation of your agreement FIRST. Many people fell upon hard times within the past decade. Portfolio Recovery found a way to go way beyond their legal limitations regarding their practices. I filed for Chapter 13, and am on a 5-year repayment plan. All of my debt is gone from my credit record, but these 3 judgments from Portfolio Recovery. It will result in a huge legal battle with them to get them to remove these Judgements, I can see that, but it will be worth every penny I make to see them put in their place.

In my opinion, they should be put out of business. If nothing else, all who have been illegally harassed by any of their employees, contract employees, attorneys or third parties acting on their behalf should join forces and file a suit together. Contact your States Attorney General with a detailed letter of the illegal and unethical practices of Portfolio Recovery. This is no small ma and pa collections agency. Do not ignore their contacts and document every communication with them. Had I have known about a court date, I would have appeared, explaining my circumstances. When a defendant fails to appear, the Plaintiff automatically is granted everything they asked for in their petition.

Original review: March 17, 2017

This agency was contracted by PayPal to collect from me however I along with my bank provided supporting documents showing proof that PayPal collected on the debt with canceled check etc endorsed by PayPal. I asked them to investigate how it was cashed as they claim it was not cashed by PayPal account although endorsement shows PayPal. Portfolio Recovery in the meantime keep calling and harassing me and not doing their job to investigate. Also my credit is compromised by this situation.

Original review: March 10, 2017

Portfolio Recovery actually has 2 accounts. (I believe) they REFUSE to investigate the evidence I've PROVEN that I had absolutely nothing to do with either account. I've tried for years...they NEVER put information I've given to them proving false information. My identity was stolen. I even told them by who. When accounts were opened in Michigan. I wasn't even living there for over 2 years!!! Thanks to them...(Not listening or investigating my evidence...now my credit sucks!) I TRULY BELIEVE EVERYONE IN MY SITUATION SHOULD OBTAIN AN ATTORNEY FOR CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!! I'M BEYOND FURIOUS.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I was in a car accident in November and I'm in bankruptcy. My vehicle had been paid off through bankruptcy. And State Farm finally issued me a check to pay off for my vehicle being totalled out. And somehow this company PRA interfered and cashed my check. So I went and talked to my attorney and he said that PRA still hasn't submitted the check to my trustee and it has been over 2 months. This company is crooks. PRA was getting paid through my bankruptcy so it wasn't right that they cashed my check. Now I'm without a vehicle and I have children and have to get around for work. This company are crooks.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

This is a debt so old which we settled in early 1994. Every 3 4 yrs they pop up again usually around tax time. They secure old loans and make every effort to collect. We had to settle this acct to refinance. It's been about 4 yrs and here we go again. Crazy and sadly they will continue. I don't even bother to call or even explain.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I was contacted by this company and was skeptical about them based on these reviews. I don't know what went wrong with so many people but my experience was great! I was able to have a friendly conversation and come to a great agreement to my balance. It was paid off with my offer, they were great! I have no problem with them based on my experience. I just read some of these reviews and wanted to shed some light for someone who wants to pay off debt!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I set up a payment arrangement with this company. I've never missed a monthly payment, but they've never reported them. After 2 years of payments, I'd never have set up a payment plan had I known this.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I been getting harassed by this company since 2014. Recently they just started to call my phone every day with different numbers. I refuse to pick up. I had repeatedly told them I was unable to pay my bill. When I get the money they will get what I owe. Which is like 200. But I don't work because of my disability. I had change my phone number a lot but I'm not changing it again. Every time I change it they found the new one. How can I get them to stop calling me.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I went thru a nasty divorce when $20k was illegally charged by the ex 15 years ago... Now last year I started getting mail and phone messages from portfolio. They are saying that I owe money on a card that was discharged thru bankruptcy 14 years ago. I check my credit report and portfolio, put this credit card on my credit report and was dropped 200 points from 710 to 511.

I did some more checking... Somehow they were able to resurrect a discharged charged to a current bill that I am 8 months behind in payments and they added $500 interest. $550 fees for portfolio and the debt at $700. How the hell were they able to bring a dead discharged card alive 14 years later and now they claim is recent. I'm not paying it, they can go screw themselves.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

Portfolio Recovery is harassing me on a daily basis from various phone numbers. The debt they are harassing me for belongs to my husband and his ex-wife. I have never had a debt go to collections and I have always paid all of my bills in a timely manner. This debt has NOTHING to do with me. I don't know why they are harassing me. I block their numbers and the next day they call me from a new number. What they are doing has got to be illegal.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I did make arrangements that was to commence for 24 months. Not only did I oblige to their notifications but settled account early. It was Sears MasterCard. Made a settlement which they accepted. Had $$ coming out monthly till account was accurate and satisfied. I always called every few months when I realized that the original note to the offer never was going down. Portfolio assured me that it's just to allow them to originate the note to its settlement offer with me. Original Note never came off and now that I have settled it they are trying to come after me for the original debt... Over $6000.00. I paid in full $4000.00 to the penny which was the settlement. They say there's no proof that I made an offer. They do not change the credit report, it's all false allegations on their web page, and even when you do pay, letters, and final notice of paid in full Never appear.

I'm still waiting to settle this and Now they have approached my credit cards. ALL of them trying to collect which are either too old after 4 years its Statute of Limitations, Check your state for your consumer responsibilities and Statutes, or I already have my creditors paid off. They also try and collect on settlements to the original notes. I owe 2 companies. That's it. My responsibilities should stop there. They have intercepted my relationships with my creditors. This Company is NO GOOD. Get out if you are involved with them. There are other ways to settle a debt. Portfolio just practices very poor judgement. I have refused any and all contact.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

I keep getting calls from them from a variety of numbers. They have left several messages. I know they are a debt collection agency, though I don't have any debt that I am aware of. I have never owned a credit card - never spend more than I have. Still, I am open to the possibility that I might have some outstanding debt somehow, either legitimately or perhaps incorrectly associated with me. However, this collection agency can't provide me with any information on the debt.

When I ask them to mail me something they claim they already have many times (they haven't). They also threaten things that are not legal and make little sense. One go to move for them is that they said they are submitting this to the judge to issue a warrant for my arrest. Obviously that makes no sense but perhaps people fall for it. They also claim that me not paying the debt right away in full over the phone means I am waiving my right to legal counsel. What??? It is crazy. It seems like they purchase lists of debt, but that in no way are they actually collecting for anyone other than themselves. Paying won't help your credit and any agreement you make will not be honored. This is just the same as if you paid one of those Nigerian princes who says you're going to get millions if you just pay the transfer fees. It is a scam.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

In my experience with this company I had made arrangements to payoff one debt "AS AGREED" and remove it from my credit history. I lived up to my end of the bargain but they did not live up to their end. Their claim was that it was against company policy. I can understand the company policy however the agreement for both accounts to be paid was made before the company policy went into effect. I have not made the arrangement for the second account due to this fact, I have request to speak with multiple supervisors or someone with their corporate office yet they have refused my invitation. Until they live up to their end of the bargain, I would not trust this company.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

On October 25th I called to this agency to make a settlement with them for 2 accounts (Cap One and Walmart). They agreed to gave me a discount and I will not have any further obligation for both accounts. They withdraw the money as quick than less of 24 hours but now they still reporting to the Credit Bureaus the discounted balance no matter the letters they sent to me prior to the payment indicating that the accounts would appear on my credit as settled!!! No settled statement on my credit reports and still the balances showing.

They are nasty people with very poor customer service ethics. They promise whatever you want to hear but they would do completely different. The most stupid explanation was "Yes... both accounts are on 0.00 balance in our system but we are going to continue reporting the discounted balance on your credit." Ok ok ok if as per your freaking system I don't owe you a penny whyyyyyy you report a false balance on my credit? Fraud!!! But they will hear from me!!! I will pursue my rights to the end. Check from me on the news. Portfolio Recovery - the worst collection agency ever and so many violations!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

I have been paying my debt for the past year, I have received letters stating they sent back my money orders for wrong acct # etc. But the money orders were not with the letter. I called and speak to several different people. When they dont know the answer they get someone else on the phone. Robyn ** manager supposedly at 866-925-7109 gave me her email received failure notice, also with kristen ** (lawyer). Nobody will give me answers of why there is a said court date if I have been paying. Some of the people you speak to have names like Creshe (like creshing a blanket), Mr. **, Hengley **, all name are very odd??? I am not denying my bill, lost job, but not sending monthly statements but insisting you give them your bank acct info is odd.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

This "company" calls 5-6 times a day. When you answer one of 2 things happen: they either start threatening you but won't give any specific account info or even tell you who or what you owe, OR they don't say anything. You just hear the call center noise in the background. (They probably get some sick credit for a call that's actually answered but don't have to prove they spoke to you.) Each time they call they use a different phone number. I guess this helps them swear they aren't harassing anyone.

If I owe something I should be informed of what company they represent and what is the amount I owe. I should also be able to get some documentation of this alleged debt in writing. They aren't willing to advise any of this and refuse to provide written proof of a debt owed. I feel sorry for people who fall for their scam and pay them, either because they believe their line of nonsense or are too afraid not to because of all of the threats hurled at them. If you want to send the "authorities" to my door then they best be holding the written proof I've asked for!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I recently paid a collection with Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC. When I set up the payment plans, I specifically asked the representative if I paid the entire debt, would it be removed from my credit files. He said yes! I paid $54 (and some change per month) for over a year (sometimes I paid extra). I even gave them a scenario where I paid a hospital debt that had gone in collections and Franklin Collection Agency Agreed to remove it after paying it off. They were true to their word. I am trying to improve my credit score. If I had known that Portfolio Recovery Associated, LLC was not going to REMOVE this as a collection from my credit files, I could have simply waited until the statute of limitations had expired. I am not denying I had the debt, but I just asked for a goodwill adjustment. I made all of my payments in a timely fashion.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I paid off an $1100.00 debt on July 25, 2016 and as of today, September 19, 2016 I cannot get a letter of satisfaction. I have called every week since the payment was made, emailed and mailed a request. The debt is still showing on my credit report and I have no proof that I have paid it and cannot get any. Every call is the same thing... "I am not sure why you haven't received that letter, I see where you have called and a letter is being mailed out!" I THINK THEY ARE A SCAM!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

So I got my first credit card earlier this year through Chase and shortly afterwards I have been receiving phone calls from this agency claiming I have a debt from Capital One from 2013 and I asked for some sort of evidence of it, in the mail. It's been 8 months now and I haven't received anything. However since I've asked for evidence they have continuously called and called. At first they said I owed over $2k then they said $1800 and then $1580 and now they're saying they have a deal that will settle all my debt for just $1200 and like if I owed money and hadn't been making payments, wouldn't the amount of money I "owe" still remain the same? Instead of changing every other call? They deny it ever changing it... they repeated my social back to me and had an address that I haven't been to in over 8 years.

If this is legit I would take it seriously but the whole deal is fishy and I really don't want this to ruin my credit that I'm starting to build. I'm in my early twenties and have been depending on my parents for awhile which means the only thing I have in my name, is my first credit card from Chase. I don't own a house or a car. I barely got approved for a card, how was I supposed to get one 3 years ago when I had no idea what a credit score was. I'm tired of dealing with this.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

I recently received a letter about owing on unpaid debt. This debt was "bought" from my creditor for PENNIES (literally) on the dollar, yet they were now looking for a large payment. Do I think that is right? NO. Is it "legal" -?? BORDERLINE at best. Bottom dwellers who feed off the misery of the poor? Maybe... BUT... I will say that PRA and the two people I had to deal with were sound, professional, caring and courteous to me. EVERYTHING they said would happen, happened. Nothing more. No additional monies were taken, no harassing calls, no litigation, nothing. It was benign for a "bad" process.

If you have to work with PRA, be courteous back and speak with a manager. Get names, and dates, and amounts of transactions and save your papers. Really, If I have to "rate" a bad thing, I would say they upheld their end and on a professional level.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I'm a real estate broker who has sold a business located in AZ. The seller had a judgment recorded by Portfolio which she paid off in full. They sent her a letter stating she had satisfied the debt and the judgment would be lifted. Under AZ law they had 30 days after receiving payment to rescind the judgment. The buyers of her business have deposited all of the funds into escrow. Both seller and buyers have signed all documents. However Portfolio still have not released the judgment 47 days later. That means the seller can not receive her money, the buyers can not take possession of the property and none of the real estate agents can be paid.

This is not a reputable company. In fact they are a law breaking company. Many times it has been pointed out to the people at Portfolio they are in violation of Arizona law. They simply do not care. A complaint with the AZ Attorney General's office is forthcoming. Please tell everyone you know about Portfolio and their lack of respect for the law.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

They are the worst ever! Nonstop harassment day and night. I had an account that was created by my ex using mostly my info. I agreed to make a payment arrangement with them to satisfy anything that was needed to keep my credit clean. An arrangement was made and I gave them a payment of $200.00 and then I got a call from them stating that they made a mistake with the payment arrangements and said they stood to lose money on the deal. I told them that if they took out 1 red cent more than the agreement I would sue them. They even told me that if I made payments they would not report it to the credit bureau as current or zero balance and they would not give me a letter indicating all debts have been paid in full. This did not stop the calls and the letters for a debt that was not initially mine and for an arrangement they want to change. Bad business guy and leave me the HECK alone!!

Original review: July 22, 2016

This company keeps sending my wife (whom is blind since 2005) collection for a bill that is 10 years old. It is 4 years past the limit. This is also not her fault. My wife had a abusive ex. He was rich, great job and loads of money. He had put it in her name and told her he was covering it all and paid for it all. This place has no right to do this. Plus they are harassing a blind person.

GO AND GET BILL ** who is the crook in this matter. You had loads of money and couldn't pay the bills and ruin my wife's name and credit in the process. My wife is the most honest person I ever known. This is the 3rd bill that we have heard of that you have done this to in her name. You damn coward. Same to this company. I remember when I was a kid we got in trouble for making prank calls at 8 years old. But yet this is allowed to happen. Keep it up and you will see who you are messing with. This is harassment under disabled act. Anymore and you will all be sued for this along with falsifying documents and forgery. You been warned.

Original review: July 2, 2016

I am getting at least two - sometimes MORE - phone calls from this company on my landline, usually between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Central Time, and again in the afternoon between 4:00 and 5:00. They are almost never from the same number or even the same area code. The company name shows up in my Caller ID window and when I see it I automatically don't answer it. They never leave any messages saying who they are and what the intent of the call is, nor have I ever received any sort of written communication from them - either by email or snail mail. These calls have been coming in from them for probably close to a year now; I don't remember when they started.

As far as I know I don't have any current, valid debts and, when my credit card payments are due, I pay them on time and well above the minimum dollar amount they require. My credit score has been consistently between the upper 600s to lower 700s, which is considered "good" and several times in the past two years my credit limits have been raised. On one particular card it was DOUBLED! For these reasons I have no idea why this company, Portfolio Recovery, would be calling me unless it is about some long-ago debt that was long-ago charged off. If they never leave me any messages I have no idea what, if anything, they're trying to collect from me and I'm not going to answer their calls and acknowledge them unless and until they state the reason for the call or send me something in writing.

For all I know they could be trying to collect a debt from someone who has the same name as me or someone who might have had this phone number before me. I keep hoping that, sooner or later, if I don’t answer the phone they’ll give up on me but they don’t. I’ve never before had anyone or any company call me as persistently as Portfolio Recovery has. What needs to happen is this: federal (not STATE) laws need to be passed prohibiting these types of companies from being licensed or having their licenses continued in effect if they don't (1) truthfully state who they are and the purpose(s) of their calls, specifically identifying the debt they are trying to collect and (2) they must provide full written documentation (i.e., a mailed letter or email on their company stationery) stating exactly what it is they're trying to collect and from whom.

In this way the person being contacted by a debt-collection company can know whether or not the debt is a legitimate one. Reputable collection companies are doing this. In my specific case, when they properly identified themselves and provided WRITTEN documentation, I have successfully worked out payment arrangements with them. Once I paid them back, in full, I never heard from them again. A company that has nothing to hide should have no problem ID'ing themselves and stating what they are trying to collect. Congress needs to enact tough laws cracking down on the abuse and harassment companies like Portfolio Recovery and others are foisting on their prey. But, since it highly likely that these companies are contributing to Congressional and Senate campaigns (and these could be from either or both major political parties) nothing is likely to get done along these lines.

No doubt these companies, like many others, have an army of lobbyists stalking the halls of Congress making sure those who accept their campaign contributions toe the line and keep consumer protection bills from being passed. The whole rotten system STINKS. Hopefully our next president, whoever he or she is, will be proactive in this area and stand up for the undeserving victims of these vultures and bottom-feeders. And Congress needs to do its part as well.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Company Information