portfoliorecovery.com

Take a Financial Relief Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

Portfolio is not a real debt collection company. They have called me for a long time now almost every day. The debt changes each time they call. They can't tell you who it's for exactly. They have given me several different names. Rude every time they call. They won't stop calling either. I'm going to change my number so they will stop.

I have no debt. I've never used credit in my entire life. I've always bought things with cash. I looked up my credit history and nothing is on it. Each time Portfolio calls it's a different story. It's just a scam trying to scare you out of your own money. Some law firm should put out their feelers and get up enough people that have been called by these people for a class action law suit.

Original review: July 13, 2020

I will try to be brief.... I had a gas card, I attempted to pay it before moving out of the country but (long story short) they refused payment at that time. This is fodder for another review. 13 months later I am getting calls, sometimes 10 or more a week, sometimes as many as 5 in a single day. I use Google Voice as a message number as I now live overseas, so I am able to log, block, save, and monitor calls pretty well. In the last 9 months (at which time I was I assume, sent to collections) I have received about 400 calls from over 85 different numbers, approximately. I am keeping track for when they stop. I have my plan for the next step. They never leave a message. I know who it is, because google is free, I call them back.

Twice I let it ring through to their call center. I attempted to talk to the representative, but alas, they want my name, telephone number (I provided this) but then want my address, and other information to "help me". I asked why they want to help me, when I am calling to help them. If I am feeling spicy I will say something like, "Help me help you help me, I am calling you back, you keep calling!". This goes around and around for a bit until either they end the call (once) by hanging up on me, or we get nowhere with questions (once) and I end the call since they refused to speak to me. The people on the other line speak very carefully and divulge nothing, not even what their business does, they are very guarded.

Having worked in collections for a limited time, I learned a lot, like what a company can and cannot do. Many of them skate a thin line of legality, like this one. They use robocalls to stalk me, and never leave messages and pose as a financial consulting firm or something on their old voicemail, but the voicemail has changed and it is unclear who they are and what they do. What I know is they called me, I did not call them, so a name and a number is sufficient to begin a dialogue without going into a lot of details, but, maybe afraid of legal repercussion. I think typical statute is 2 years for collections, it's quite a bother. Online I have found references saying they are not "accredited" so there is that.

Get buying tips about Debt Collection Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Continued harassment from this organization to include incorrect amount reported to credit bureaus and harassing calls. Agreed to a settlement, made initial payment and they did not process final payment stating they were unable to AND took balance back to original amount. Fraudulent Practices that should be illegal!!!

Original review: May 7, 2020

Portfolio illegally reports items to credit reports that are over 20 years old. The FCRA allows debt to be reported for 7 years. Portfolio isn’t interested in following the law. I’ve contacted several attorney generals about this and they are now being investigated.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I have been trying to pay a judgment that I got back in 2017. My account manager or the person above my account has hung up the phone every time I call. The apartment complex performs an unlawful eviction tossing all my belonging before the time granted by state law expired. I have been trying to pay the unpaid rent, but not the costs of trashing my items like my kids' bunkbeds, my bed, a dresser, a skateboard, and tags and chains of my deceased dog. I have been trying to have a simple conversation with Mona and she has only yelled and behaved rudely to the point that I can no longer get a hold of her as she refuses to take my calls. I have not been able to clean my credit and find a house for me and my three children.

Original review: April 22, 2020

They have contacted me even more now after Covid19 with the phone calls, several times daily from different states. No other has called me but this company. There is something inherently wrong with the owners of this organization.

Original review: April 16, 2020

They have an easy payment system online and will delete your account once settled after 30 days. Really hard to get others to do that so kudos to them. They also give you offer letters which you can also reduce how much you have to pay. The downside to this company are two things. First, minor issue. Their online chat is horrendous. You have to provide them with so much information in regards to your account that when you go look it up it kicks you out. I was trying to ask one simple question, not even related to my account, just a general question, and for a week I could not get anyone to answer it without needing name, phone number, account, merchant, last 4 digits of social security, account balance and like two other things just to even get them to answer if taking can be accepted as paid in full. After a week and online sleuthing, I found the answer in a myFICO forum.

Second, the amount of freaking contact they attempt. Every day 2-10 times with different numbers. On Sundays at 8:30 am or on a Tuesday at 9:01pm. I was making payments for 10 months, put them on hold, the next day just a flood of calls. And when you are making payments, I see no reason for them to mail you a letter 2-3 times amount about when your payment is due, a reminder of payment due, and thanks for your payment. The amount of damage they are doing to the environment with insisting on wasting resources to let you know when something is due is crazy. Just set up an SMS or email system. Other than those gripes, they're not bad. Their online payment is simple and easy to use. I've had no issues with their customer service. Be communicative in a friendly manner and they'll work with you.

Original review: April 1, 2020

These pieces of trash call me everyday —multiple times a day — over a $500 debt I owe. Even through the ongoing covid-19 pandemic, these awful, hideous, morally & ethically bankrupt monsters are STILL bothering people with phone calls. Disgraceful excuse for a company. Awful even by debt collector standards. People are DYING all across the country, & these scumbags continue to operate as business as usual. People are out of work & shut-in inside their homes — some without money or food — & these monsters continue to operate as business as usual. Disgusting people.

Original review: March 26, 2020

The card had $70 on and now they want 3x that. I found the mailing in a mailbox at parents old house not used in years. I made an offer of 1 time payment. They refused. Payment. Was not enough. With coronavirus we all may be dead weeks from now. Sure no one is running to pay off debt with things going on right now.

Original review: March 23, 2020

Portfolio Recovery passed along a debt of my ex to me. In that time, I have 343 phone calls documented from them. Today, when this Virginia company called me from a local number (where my family and parents live), with everything going on, I answered. This company RUINS personal phones. Their anticipating an obligation to answer. Well, you're the one ruining it. Where is the FCC with penalties? This is absolutely abhorrent behavior and no business outside of this industry would dare even try doing this. Why does this man get a line drawn and the sand: **.

And Portfolio Recovery gets to do this "business as usual" during a pandemic? Get real. Open your eyes. The #1 and #2 focus of the country, get people confident in the future and reduce the medical issue from growing. Yet, today on the phone (I have the recording) you ask ME if you should not do your job? The answer is Yes. Don't spoof local numbers and demand payment from US citizens this week. Give them a break, or I'll help the FCC look back on this and post mortem your behavior and inability to adapt process, policies and procedures to help right now. "Look for the helpers." Clearly, your company doesn't want to be in that category. Shocker.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Company Information