Get relief and reduce what you owe

Debt Relief Options

portfoliorecovery.com

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.12/5

Struggling with Credit Card Debt?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Get relief and reduce what you owe

Debt Relief Options

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Reviews

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Portfolio Recovery sent a 1099-C to the IRS recently for the year 2017. They say that they sent it to an old PO BOX that I had 6 or 7 years ago. I found out about this when I received a notice from the IRS in December 2019 saying that I may owe them almost $4000 because of this cancellation of debt. I have had several conversations with Portfolio Recovery which tells me that this debt was charged off in my favor in 1995. How is it in my favor if now the IRS is saying I owe almost $4000? I have asked who was the original debtor and the company that they give me is no longer in service.

They gave me a number to reach the debtor but when I call, it gives me numbers to the businesses in that area. I asked for proof that this is my account because I don't ever remember having a credit line that large. They have nothing. They sent me a letter stating that my balance is zero after talking with them several times and after their investigation of this situation. I called the IRS and they say that doesn't work for them. They sent it in and I owe! I had to complete a Form 14039 which I claim identify theft. Wow! Can any business send things to the IRS stating that we owe money and it is just accepted without proof?

Now I am fighting a battle in my retirement age because some business that can't even prove it was me says that I have a charge off that happened 23 years ago. Please look after your loved ones that are getting older. This has really made me wonder how many people are being ripped off!!! I guess the next step will be to get a lawyer to put money in their pocket.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

This company has a bad debt of mine from a couple years ago. Yes they called too much, but that is what a debt collector does. I am someone trying to make a debt correct and they have been very patient with me while I figure out my financial situation. They have set up payments and so far so good. They even gave me a percent off of what I owe. They were very willing to work with my circumstances. Pretty unprofessional with laughing in the background of all of my calls, but that happens a lot if you work at a call center. You cannot control everyone else's behavior as you are in the phone.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Collection Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I fell in hard times four years ago and by the time I was in a better position to start paying back my debt, two of my accounts had been placed with Portfolio Recovery Services. They are awful. Constantly called both my cell phone, my work phone, and my co-worker's phones. When I spoke to them, they offered to only settle for 30% which was still way too high for me to pay. Ultimately, they ended up leaving me alone because the statute of limitations in my state that they could sue ended. But, my nightmare continues with them as I received a 1000C for both accounts so now I will be paying the IRS for years to come. I wish I could offer better news to anyone trying to deal with them but they will find a way to screw you over no matter what you do.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

2 collections showed up on my credit report. Contacted Portfolio Recovery. I have never dealt with more incompetent people. They were unable to tell me ANYTHING about the accounts. Couldn't produce any history, any idea of what the original debt was for, or any evidence that it was even mine. More like an extortion operation. These people are criminals, Treat them accordingly.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

They call multiple times a day, every day, even on holidays and weekends, from spoofed numbers that appear as local calls. They do this so you cannot block them. They've used well over 150 different numbers so far. Hell will be frozen over before I give these sleazebags one dime.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

This company calls me everyday from numerous different numbers. They don't leave messages which means they are robocalling. I have no debts and never have, so I have no idea why they're calling me. They're obviously calling the wrong number. My credit rating is A1 and I'm in the top 3%. I've emailed them and told them to stop calling me and to remove my number from their database. They never responded, and continue to psycho call. Can't wait until the president signs the Stopping Bad Robocalls Act which will fine these kind of people $10k per call. I've reported them to the BBB. I'm tired of being harassed.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I have recently been contacted by Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC. about a debt that I am unsure of it being mine, I have requested several times for validation of the pre 2017 statements. They have yet to be provided and I have even done my due diligence and spoke to the original companies, which also are unable to provide validation (other than my name being on the account). I was escalated to Kenith (an operations manager) who was very apathetic and distant when I was explaining my situation. Towards the end he became dismissive and snide, I did not appreciate his lack of help to handle my situation. Not a good company involving debt collection.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I keep getting phone calls about an old debt that has been written off. It is too late to collect, but if I pay it goes on my credit report. I keep telling them that I am not going to pay in order to hurt my credit. It is not on there now, so the answer is no. They call from different numbers. Sometimes they will leave a voicemail and sometimes they won't. Why harass me if they know they can't make me pay due to the law. I am not falling for some trickery.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

This company is hands down the worst, most heartless group of people I have EVER dealt with. Ever. Without receiving any notice, they wiped out my entire checking account today for a 10 year old credit card debt. Left me with a balance of $0.00. I call and ask them how am I supposed to take care of myself and my son seeing as how I'm a single dad now with no money and was told that it's my problem and I just have to deal with it. Do not deal with these people unless you like eating bugs and leaves.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had purchased a car months ago for my boyfriend and I so we would have a vehicle. I had my phone number on the application. Now this company who is stalking all these credit places will find a number and just assume it's to the person they are trying to connect with. My boyfriend and I do not pay each other's debts, and we do not give out each other's number. They will get angry and assume you are lying. I told them they had the wrong number and they would have to call him on his own phone. They asked for his number. For legal purposes I do not give out anyone's number. And they got bad have me their number and place of business.

Not sure about Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC?

Struggling with credit card debt? Get matched with a debt relief provider today.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Company Information