Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC

portfoliorecovery.com

Compare Debt Collection Agencies

Research top Debt Collection Agencies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Portfolio Recovery is harassing me on a daily basis from various phone numbers. The debt they are harassing me for belongs to my husband and his ex-wife. I have never had a debt go to collections and I have always paid all of my bills in a timely manner. This debt has NOTHING to do with me. I don't know why they are harassing me. I block their numbers and the next day they call me from a new number. What they are doing has got to be illegal.

I did make arrangements that was to commence for 24 months. Not only did I oblige to their notifications but settled account early. It was Sears MasterCard. Made a settlement which they accepted. Had $$ coming out monthly till account was accurate and satisfied. I always called every few months when I realized that the original note to the offer never was going down. Portfolio assured me that it's just to allow them to originate the note to its settlement offer with me. Original Note never came off and now that I have settled it they are trying to come after me for the original debt... Over $6000.00. I paid in full $4000.00 to the penny which was the settlement. They say there's no proof that I made an offer. They do not change the credit report, it's all false allegations on their web page, and even when you do pay, letters, and final notice of paid in full Never appear.

I'm still waiting to settle this and Now they have approached my credit cards. ALL of them trying to collect which are either too old after 4 years its Statute of Limitations, Check your state for your consumer responsibilities and Statutes, or I already have my creditors paid off. They also try and collect on settlements to the original notes. I owe 2 companies. That's it. My responsibilities should stop there. They have intercepted my relationships with my creditors. This Company is NO GOOD. Get out if you are involved with them. There are other ways to settle a debt. Portfolio just practices very poor judgement. I have refused any and all contact.

I keep getting calls from them from a variety of numbers. They have left several messages. I know they are a debt collection agency, though I don't have any debt that I am aware of. I have never owned a credit card - never spend more than I have. Still, I am open to the possibility that I might have some outstanding debt somehow, either legitimately or perhaps incorrectly associated with me. However, this collection agency can't provide me with any information on the debt.

When I ask them to mail me something they claim they already have many times (they haven't). They also threaten things that are not legal and make little sense. One go to move for them is that they said they are submitting this to the judge to issue a warrant for my arrest. Obviously that makes no sense but perhaps people fall for it. They also claim that me not paying the debt right away in full over the phone means I am waiving my right to legal counsel. What??? It is crazy. It seems like they purchase lists of debt, but that in no way are they actually collecting for anyone other than themselves. Paying won't help your credit and any agreement you make will not be honored. This is just the same as if you paid one of those Nigerian princes who says you're going to get millions if you just pay the transfer fees. It is a scam.

In my experience with this company I had made arrangements to payoff one debt "AS AGREED" and remove it from my credit history. I lived up to my end of the bargain but they did not live up to their end. Their claim was that it was against company policy. I can understand the company policy however the agreement for both accounts to be paid was made before the company policy went into effect. I have not made the arrangement for the second account due to this fact, I have request to speak with multiple supervisors or someone with their corporate office yet they have refused my invitation. Until they live up to their end of the bargain, I would not trust this company.

On October 25th I called to this agency to make a settlement with them for 2 accounts (Cap One and Walmart). They agreed to gave me a discount and I will not have any further obligation for both accounts. They withdraw the money as quick than less of 24 hours but now they still reporting to the Credit Bureaus the discounted balance no matter the letters they sent to me prior to the payment indicating that the accounts would appear on my credit as settled!!! No settled statement on my credit reports and still the balances showing.

They are nasty people with very poor customer service ethics. They promise whatever you want to hear but they would do completely different. The most stupid explanation was "Yes... both accounts are on 0.00 balance in our system but we are going to continue reporting the discounted balance on your credit." Ok ok ok if as per your freaking system I don't owe you a penny whyyyyyy you report a false balance on my credit? Fraud!!! But they will hear from me!!! I will pursue my rights to the end. Check from me on the news. Portfolio Recovery - the worst collection agency ever and so many violations!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC?

I have been paying my debt for the past year, I have received letters stating they sent back my money orders for wrong acct # etc. But the money orders were not with the letter. I called and speak to several different people. When they dont know the answer they get someone else on the phone. Robyn ** manager supposedly at 866-925-7109 gave me her email received failure notice, also with kristen ** (lawyer). Nobody will give me answers of why there is a said court date if I have been paying. Some of the people you speak to have names like Creshe (like creshing a blanket), Mr. **, Hengley **, all name are very odd??? I am not denying my bill, lost job, but not sending monthly statements but insisting you give them your bank acct info is odd.

This "company" calls 5-6 times a day. When you answer one of 2 things happen: they either start threatening you but won't give any specific account info or even tell you who or what you owe, OR they don't say anything. You just hear the call center noise in the background. (They probably get some sick credit for a call that's actually answered but don't have to prove they spoke to you.) Each time they call they use a different phone number. I guess this helps them swear they aren't harassing anyone.

If I owe something I should be informed of what company they represent and what is the amount I owe. I should also be able to get some documentation of this alleged debt in writing. They aren't willing to advise any of this and refuse to provide written proof of a debt owed. I feel sorry for people who fall for their scam and pay them, either because they believe their line of nonsense or are too afraid not to because of all of the threats hurled at them. If you want to send the "authorities" to my door then they best be holding the written proof I've asked for!

I recently paid a collection with Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC. When I set up the payment plans, I specifically asked the representative if I paid the entire debt, would it be removed from my credit files. He said yes! I paid $54 (and some change per month) for over a year (sometimes I paid extra). I even gave them a scenario where I paid a hospital debt that had gone in collections and Franklin Collection Agency Agreed to remove it after paying it off. They were true to their word. I am trying to improve my credit score. If I had known that Portfolio Recovery Associated, LLC was not going to REMOVE this as a collection from my credit files, I could have simply waited until the statute of limitations had expired. I am not denying I had the debt, but I just asked for a goodwill adjustment. I made all of my payments in a timely fashion.

I paid off an $1100.00 debt on July 25, 2016 and as of today, September 19, 2016 I cannot get a letter of satisfaction. I have called every week since the payment was made, emailed and mailed a request. The debt is still showing on my credit report and I have no proof that I have paid it and cannot get any. Every call is the same thing... "I am not sure why you haven't received that letter, I see where you have called and a letter is being mailed out!" I THINK THEY ARE A SCAM!!!

So I got my first credit card earlier this year through Chase and shortly afterwards I have been receiving phone calls from this agency claiming I have a debt from Capital One from 2013 and I asked for some sort of evidence of it, in the mail. It's been 8 months now and I haven't received anything. However since I've asked for evidence they have continuously called and called. At first they said I owed over $2k then they said $1800 and then $1580 and now they're saying they have a deal that will settle all my debt for just $1200 and like if I owed money and hadn't been making payments, wouldn't the amount of money I "owe" still remain the same? Instead of changing every other call? They deny it ever changing it... they repeated my social back to me and had an address that I haven't been to in over 8 years.

If this is legit I would take it seriously but the whole deal is fishy and I really don't want this to ruin my credit that I'm starting to build. I'm in my early twenties and have been depending on my parents for awhile which means the only thing I have in my name, is my first credit card from Chase. I don't own a house or a car. I barely got approved for a card, how was I supposed to get one 3 years ago when I had no idea what a credit score was. I'm tired of dealing with this.

I recently received a letter about owing on unpaid debt. This debt was "bought" from my creditor for PENNIES (literally) on the dollar, yet they were now looking for a large payment. Do I think that is right? NO. Is it "legal" -?? BORDERLINE at best. Bottom dwellers who feed off the misery of the poor? Maybe... BUT... I will say that PRA and the two people I had to deal with were sound, professional, caring and courteous to me. EVERYTHING they said would happen, happened. Nothing more. No additional monies were taken, no harassing calls, no litigation, nothing. It was benign for a "bad" process.

If you have to work with PRA, be courteous back and speak with a manager. Get names, and dates, and amounts of transactions and save your papers. Really, If I have to "rate" a bad thing, I would say they upheld their end and on a professional level.

I'm a real estate broker who has sold a business located in AZ. The seller had a judgment recorded by Portfolio which she paid off in full. They sent her a letter stating she had satisfied the debt and the judgment would be lifted. Under AZ law they had 30 days after receiving payment to rescind the judgment. The buyers of her business have deposited all of the funds into escrow. Both seller and buyers have signed all documents. However Portfolio still have not released the judgment 47 days later. That means the seller can not receive her money, the buyers can not take possession of the property and none of the real estate agents can be paid.

This is not a reputable company. In fact they are a law breaking company. Many times it has been pointed out to the people at Portfolio they are in violation of Arizona law. They simply do not care. A complaint with the AZ Attorney General's office is forthcoming. Please tell everyone you know about Portfolio and their lack of respect for the law.

They are the worst ever! Nonstop harassment day and night. I had an account that was created by my ex using mostly my info. I agreed to make a payment arrangement with them to satisfy anything that was needed to keep my credit clean. An arrangement was made and I gave them a payment of $200.00 and then I got a call from them stating that they made a mistake with the payment arrangements and said they stood to lose money on the deal. I told them that if they took out 1 red cent more than the agreement I would sue them. They even told me that if I made payments they would not report it to the credit bureau as current or zero balance and they would not give me a letter indicating all debts have been paid in full. This did not stop the calls and the letters for a debt that was not initially mine and for an arrangement they want to change. Bad business guy and leave me the HECK alone!!

This company keeps sending my wife (whom is blind since 2005) collection for a bill that is 10 years old. It is 4 years past the limit. This is also not her fault. My wife had a abusive ex. He was rich, great job and loads of money. He had put it in her name and told her he was covering it all and paid for it all. This place has no right to do this. Plus they are harassing a blind person.

GO AND GET BILL ** who is the crook in this matter. You had loads of money and couldn't pay the bills and ruin my wife's name and credit in the process. My wife is the most honest person I ever known. This is the 3rd bill that we have heard of that you have done this to in her name. You damn coward. Same to this company. I remember when I was a kid we got in trouble for making prank calls at 8 years old. But yet this is allowed to happen. Keep it up and you will see who you are messing with. This is harassment under disabled act. Anymore and you will all be sued for this along with falsifying documents and forgery. You been warned.

I am getting at least two - sometimes MORE - phone calls from this company on my landline, usually between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Central Time, and again in the afternoon between 4:00 and 5:00. They are almost never from the same number or even the same area code. The company name shows up in my Caller ID window and when I see it I automatically don't answer it. They never leave any messages saying who they are and what the intent of the call is, nor have I ever received any sort of written communication from them - either by email or snail mail. These calls have been coming in from them for probably close to a year now; I don't remember when they started.

As far as I know I don't have any current, valid debts and, when my credit card payments are due, I pay them on time and well above the minimum dollar amount they require. My credit score has been consistently between the upper 600s to lower 700s, which is considered "good" and several times in the past two years my credit limits have been raised. On one particular card it was DOUBLED! For these reasons I have no idea why this company, Portfolio Recovery, would be calling me unless it is about some long-ago debt that was long-ago charged off. If they never leave me any messages I have no idea what, if anything, they're trying to collect from me and I'm not going to answer their calls and acknowledge them unless and until they state the reason for the call or send me something in writing.

For all I know they could be trying to collect a debt from someone who has the same name as me or someone who might have had this phone number before me. I keep hoping that, sooner or later, if I don’t answer the phone they’ll give up on me but they don’t. I’ve never before had anyone or any company call me as persistently as Portfolio Recovery has. What needs to happen is this: federal (not STATE) laws need to be passed prohibiting these types of companies from being licensed or having their licenses continued in effect if they don't (1) truthfully state who they are and the purpose(s) of their calls, specifically identifying the debt they are trying to collect and (2) they must provide full written documentation (i.e., a mailed letter or email on their company stationery) stating exactly what it is they're trying to collect and from whom.

In this way the person being contacted by a debt-collection company can know whether or not the debt is a legitimate one. Reputable collection companies are doing this. In my specific case, when they properly identified themselves and provided WRITTEN documentation, I have successfully worked out payment arrangements with them. Once I paid them back, in full, I never heard from them again. A company that has nothing to hide should have no problem ID'ing themselves and stating what they are trying to collect. Congress needs to enact tough laws cracking down on the abuse and harassment companies like Portfolio Recovery and others are foisting on their prey. But, since it highly likely that these companies are contributing to Congressional and Senate campaigns (and these could be from either or both major political parties) nothing is likely to get done along these lines.

No doubt these companies, like many others, have an army of lobbyists stalking the halls of Congress making sure those who accept their campaign contributions toe the line and keep consumer protection bills from being passed. The whole rotten system STINKS. Hopefully our next president, whoever he or she is, will be proactive in this area and stand up for the undeserving victims of these vultures and bottom-feeders. And Congress needs to do its part as well.

They are continuing to call me regarding a debt that is over 15 years ago. They claim they will continue to continually call me until I write them a letter to tell them that it's past the statute of limitations. This is illegal. They are hounding me to collect a debt that they can't do. I am retired and my only income is social security. Why in the world would I take any of my limited income to pay a debt that is well past statute limitations?

I have disputed a collection from them on my credit report and they lied and changed my dispute subject on my credit report so the credit bureaus would leave their entry. I hand wrote a letter to the credit bureaus stating precise proof of a contract with my signature on it or remove it from my credit report and portfolio. Sends me a letter stating they are not going to do anything and that my dispute is frivolous. Talking with an attorney about this matter.

I had a credit card with Bank Of America that was charged off as a bad credit on my credit report of $697.00. This company bought my account and has harassed me, taken me to court, sued me, and has a lien on my house. I'm disabled and 67 years old, get $753.00 a month social security disability and food stamps. I would pay them if I could. I paid them for 2 years at $10.00 a month and the bill wasn't coming down so I quit paying them and that's when all else came about. They called me day and night and a guy on the phone was rude and kept interrupting me and wouldn't let me talk. My house is falling down and I need to sell it to pay them, but can't sell it with the lien on it. They have tried to get in my bank account where I have direct deposit of my SSI and SS. These people need shut down by the Better Business Bureau for their shabby practices.

Portfolio Recovery is one of the worst companies I have ever experienced in my life. These people are pond scum that the government should really be investigating and suing them for constant harassment. They call me every single day, early in the morning, now around 7 and 8 at night, on weekends and weekdays, non stop, although I have literally told them over ten times to stop calling and that they have the wrong number. They call me with about 10 different numbers and I've blocked them all, now they're calling undercover with unknown phone numbers. This type of harassment is disgusting and vile and this company should get the crap sued out of them. If they call you, report them to 1800 do not call every single time and eventually they will be investigated. I have been on the do not call list for over a year now so there's no way this type of harassment can be legal. Horrible company.

More than 8 years ago, my mother-in-law passed away. 3 months later, my brother-in-law died. We got a call from Portfolio. My husband explained to the guy on the other of the phone what had recently happened when the man interrupted him and literally called him a liar. He said there was no way was he gonna believe his story and that he had better pay what he owed. He called him more names then swiftly hung up on my husband. I tried to call the ** back but all I got was an, "Unable to connect." Obviously, the phone he was calling us from was outbound only. Imagine that.

In the meantime, Portfolio continues to attack our credit by re-establishing our debt and making appear as though it is recent. After that horrible phone call in 2006, we decided Portfolio would NOT receive a dime from us. Our debt IS time-barred and they are BREAKING THE LAW. It's been long over the Statute of Limitations. It's been 10 YEARS. Hey Portfolio, stop calling and stop showing old debt as new!

I have been getting several calls from this company stating that I owe $484 from Capital One. I went on Equifax's website to look at my credit score and I see that this company is on my credit report as well. From what I recall I already paid Capital One all the money I owe them from years ago so why is this PRA company harassing me with 25 phone calls, threats and trying to get money from me. THIS NEEDS TO STOP AND GET OFF MY CREDIT REPORT NOW!!!!

A few months ago I had a Deputy Sheriff arrive at my door with court papers from Portfolio. There was no court date and nothing regarding the debt to properly assess the situation. It turns out that they obtained an old debt which was charged off and decided that they could resurrect it and get money from me for themselves. After months of fighting with them, trying to get documentation of the debt and such, I gave up and paid them off (in protest) what I didn't owe because it was cheaper to pay the small debt than continue to pay legal fees to fight them. They were found in violation by the State of NY, Bureau of Consumer Frauds and Protection but have just switched States and continue their practices using attorneys to file lawsuits and harass people at their work. This is a very crooked business.

I have an old debt that went into collections and this rogue collector of debts bought my debt. At first it kept calling my sister and threatening me for deportation (I came here legally). So I called them and found out that the debt was mine. Started paying monthly (last payment will end next month). What this debt collector is doing now is digging and looking at our credit reports looking for possible accounts that they can collect then sell it to NCO although there has been a decision for Portfolio to stop collecting debts and stop selling them. So Portfolio is still doing this but in the guise of another collector NCO.

I have received more than twenty five calls from these folks from various phone numbers. I have ask that they don't call but this means nothing. I have resulted to blocking the # but they just call from another one. The debt that they refer to is not mine. I wish they would just go away.

This company has been mailing me a bill that belongs to someone else with the same last name. I have called and emailed them several times to no avail. They even mailed me a copy of the original application of what this person filled out and I could see even though they blacked out the SS# which you can still see, it clearly does not belong to me and CA address used was not even mine since I have never lived in the State of CA. This company is just mailing every person with the same last name hoping they can catch them.

These deplorable people keep calling me on a 13-year old debt. I am 62 and retired due to disability. I had a catastrophic illness resulting in a 12-hour spinal surgery and had to retire early, leading to many financial hardships. This debt was charged off, I incurred the consequence of bad credit for many years because of a debt of $789. I had a hip replaced less than two years ago and will have a shoulder replaced in 2 weeks, in addition to metabolic illness. The only relief I will have from being low-income is when I die. I don't need them pushing me into an early grave because of an old debt they have sunk their teeth into. I am almost afraid to call them because I do not want them to put it back on my credit report. I need my good credit for medical reasons and must protect it.

Portfolio Recovery are one of the most unprofessional businesses I have ever had the displeasure to encounter. They sent process servers to my 89 year old mother's house several times looking for me and pretending they knew me. They came to my house after dark asking for me. They also sent a deputy constable to my mother's house twice about a credit card bill. I have never had anything more than a speeding ticket and they sent a deputy constable that was in uniform, driving a constable car to my mother's house like I was a murderer or had warrants, which I do not and I never have had. They are a disgusting group of people!!!!!!

I was unable to make payments on a department store's credit card, due to a job loss. The balance ended up going to numerous collection agencies. Last year, the court constable was on my doorstep, explaining to me about a lawsuit. He suggested that I should contact the lawyer's office to set up payment arrangements. According to the lawsuit, there was no court date given. Although I did appreciate them working within my budget, and to have everything documented, the court constable knocking on my door to serve the paperwork WASN'T NECESSARY!!

I finished making the payments in August and the court documents released the lawsuit. One month later, I received a phone call from Portfolio, talking about one of the payments declined because of insufficient funds. I impatiently explained to the woman that I received the court documents a month afterwards and I wasn't going to make any more payments until they can provide hardcore evidence. I made one last payment to get these people off my back. Good riddance!!

Portfolio Recovery Agents don't know how to handle phone calls on a professional manner. The court document should have been sent to my residence AFTER I was finished making the payments. Also, they could have had the lawsuit sent via certified mail, instead of having the constable pounding on my door like a mad man!! I haven't heard from these people in over a year and I don't ever want to deal with them AGAIN!!!

Lost case. Had to defend myself because of cost of an lawyer. This happened in Greenville, SC. SC has nothing to protect you from debt buyers, they let them represent themselves as debt collectors. It's like a kangaroo court in Greenville County Common Pleas. The Portfolio accomplice in our part of SC is Richardson and Plowden (their lawyer is Adam **). They (the state), have done one thing to help and that was to create an ADR (alternative dispute resolution), which is mandated in our county but somehow was removed from my case.

The only chance of only losing half your ass is the ADR program. As most of you know, a debt buyer buys a defunct account for 5 to 7 cents on the dollar and the next second restores this written off or charged off debt to its former glory (full value). Only in America right? So in my case, the court or lawyer, through neglect of their responsibilities or on purpose, removed or ignored the ADR step. So pay attention. I didn't have the ADR step even though it is MANDATED for Greenville County. Of course no one knows how that happened. The only thing that will stop this is the State Senate or State Representatives doing what they are supposed to do, protect the people. Good luck with that one, so all you have to do is get lawyers to write bills that will keep their frat brothers from making easy money.

I received calls from PRA regarding a charged off store credit card that was mine and I did not pay off due to financial troubles. I felt that I shouldn't have to pay PRA because I never signed any agreement with them. What I did was sent them a certified letter using this debt verification letter: **. I received a letter back within a few weeks stating they would put my file back into collections, however they couldn't exactly provide all the items I required (they were bluffing hoping I would call them and send money). They never called back and it's been more than a year since I've heard from them. If you have any questions or want more details just ask me and I will see if I can help.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Company Profile