1.14/5
Based on 114 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

portfoliorecovery.com

116 Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 29, 2018

These company calls daily and never leaves a voicemail. I tried answering the call twice and no one speaks. I have filed a complaint with FCC, but have received no response. I have blocked the numbers of each call, but they continue to call use new phone numbers.

Original review: June 9, 2018

These people are the worst ** ever. Over a micro-sum of $400 borrowed from Target on their opening credit card 8 years ago, PR has been plaguing me all this year almost every day, 2 or 3 times a day. I have never experienced any other company so persistent other than Target themselves after I couldn't pay it back initially on losing all our income for several years. I blocked them on my phone and yes their calls continue. How many numbers do they have to harass us over those $400? I am the wiser having read the other reviews here and will continue to block their numerous phone calls.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 30, 2018

Debt collectors. They called me today. I don't answer calls I don't know. Everyone needs to be aware that this company has been fined by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Everyone needs to file complaints with this place. They are violating their agreement. And also file complaints with your attorney general's office in your state. Also record every conversation you have with these people. Get incoming and outgoing call abs for your phones. These abs record every call made by you and every call coming in to you.

Original review: May 14, 2018

About a year ago my father received a call from this firm claiming to be looking for me. My father has never co-signed any debt I have ever had. I have never lived with him or shared a phone number. In the last six months this firm called me twice, claiming to be collecting on a CC outstanding from 7 years ago. The CC is not outstanding but was a story in and of itself - I hate debt and I had obtained it and used it sparingly just to avoid having a thin file, never had a balance over $160, and got sick of the pointless exercise of having a card just so that my file would show that I had availability - one more little bill to mail, account to check, bank to deal with, etc... and the junk mail, marketing calls etc...

Then after I'd had the card for a few years they started calling me the day after the bill would come. The bill would come on Wednesday, either $0 or $160 or in between, due the following Friday, so I'd put it in a tray I keep for coupons, bills etc... to deal with on Saturday morning, and then on Saturday morning I'd mail the payment out on my way to the supermarket, a week before it was due - plenty of time to get there. And I've always done that. But they started calling me on the Thursday asking me when I planned to make the payment - - which wasn't due yet. I found this to be annoying and intrusive, and potentially embarrassing since I didn't live alone and this could look like they were dunning me. I asked them to stop, they couldn't explain why they were doing it, they said they would stop, but they didn't.

And then in month three of this, they called BEFORE THE BILL HAD EVEN COME. So I called the number on the back of the card, got the present balance, asked to pay by phone from my checking account and to close the account - and did so. It was about $155. Two days later they called AGAIN and said their system screwed up and they needed re-authorization. So I gave it to them, stayed on the phone, and they said it finally did go through and that's it, I never had to deal with them again. THEN the statement came - and I noticed that they'd been charging me a few dollars per month for "credit insurance" for which I'd never signed up. So I called and lodged a complaint, and they said they'd look into it, and about a year later they sent me a check for the amount they had overcharged me. It had been five dollars a month for 15 months, $75. No interest or anything. Huh. But fine - I never heard from them directly otherwise.

But a few years later, every few months someone calls claiming to be calling for Capital One, and quoting a different balance every time. One caller asked my girlfriend if she could make the payment, which they said was four hundred and some odd dollars. This would be illegal even if I actually had a debt - you can't ask someone else to pay it. I took the phone, pointed this out, and they hung up. Then the calls stopped for a number of years. I do not recall what the caller ID said or what outfit the caller claimed to be with.

But now this, with Portfolio Recovery Associates. First they call my father, who lives in a different state at an address and phone number that were never mine, were never associated with this or any other account. And my father has never co-signed or guaranteed any debt I've ever had. But they called him. Not me. They called him claiming to be looking for me. To call him, they would first have had to look me up on Lex-Nex, where my contact information is right there on page 1 of my report (I used to collect for a living and while I wasn't supposed to do so, I looked myself up). The list of possible relatives is about 4 pages in, and then I believe that if you click on him you get his address (I didn't look him up - I'd looked up actual debtor, who had actually skipped, for my job eight years ago and that's how it worked).

Also, I live at the same address with the same contact info that I had when I had the CC. They didn't call me for many months thereafter. And the first time they said I owed seven hundred dollars and change. I told them, "Look. I don't have this card, I paid it in full seven or so years ago, by phone, they acknowledged the payment and closed the account, and I have never since heard from them other than offers to open up a NEW account, which I've burned in the fireplace." They said, "Well our records show differently." I said, "Don't call again." But they called - today, which is a few months later. And now they say I owed six hundred fifty dollars. So, how would the balance have come DOWN? How do they have different info than the last time they called? Why did they call a relative first? I called them back when I'd missed the call - it's definitely them.

How do they make money? What exactly is their business? How do they operate? What do they do - look random people up on Lex-Nex, see that they once had a CC with a bank, and call the person - and his relatives - many years later claiming that there was still an outstanding balance - without even deciding what dollar amount they were going to claim was owed? Who actually makes a payment to these people? How are they able to do this without being shut down? How does this even work - who would just say "duh ok, I'll send money."

This is also the second time I have had this experience with PRA calling on a CC that I had many years ago paid off. They called my parents - both of them (they're divorced) - in 2006 on a card I had paid off in November 2004, just after MY divorce settled -- BofA. I called BofA to confirm that my account had been paid off. Then they called ME like eight years later also claiming to be calling on a BofA CC. I again called BofA which confirmed that I had no debt outstanding with them - very nice lady actually. Then they sent me a letter -- with completely different information -- address that was never mine, name spelled differently, charge-off date six months after I'd paid the account off. Oddly enough, they never called again after sending me the letter. PS neither CC is or was on my Experian. But PRA is. Who are these guys and where do they get their "info?" And how do I get PRA off my Experian?

Original review: May 6, 2018

When I settled my account in March 2018 they wouldn't give me a settlement letter sent me to, a dispute dept I have made several attempts to get this letter. I have a lawyer, but this doesn't seem to bother them. He made several attempts when before I made the settlement and was given the run around by them and their attorney doesn't work with my lawyer. They seem to think consumers have no rights and don't have to work with them. I finally had to threaten them to take them back to court to explain to the judge why I haven't received my letter, I received it the following day thru my lawyer May 4 2018, report this debt collection agency to everyone you can because they are sloppy, don't work with the consumer at all. They think they have to answer to no one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC?

Original review: April 29, 2018

I called Portfolio Recovery and was told that my account was zero and it was discharged through the bankruptcy. I asked the lady why is there a lien on property and the women couldn’t answer me. The lien was placed in 2010 and I just found out about it two days before I was going to close. She transferred me to the bankruptcy department where I spoke to Barbara, she is not helpful nor is she nice. She couldn’t give me no information and told me that they only have two paralegals that handle these cases and it will take 3 or 4 weeks to determine if the lien will be released or a settlement offer is provided.

My realtor, lender, and title company called to see if we can get it resolved immediately and she said they are backlogged and it’s nothing she can do about it and was irritated that we kept calling. I don’t understand why it take so long to resolve a dispute which we think it could have been resolved with a phone call. She wouldn’t let me speak with a paralegal or a manager. What type of service deny you to speak with a manager. It’s sad that companies can get away with this type of service. This issue is affecting me, the buyer of my condo and the seller of the townhome I am buying. It’s very upsetting that people aren’t willing to help.

Original review: April 4, 2018

This debt collector is collecting a debt for Synchrony Bank. One of the lowest forms of low in existence. So to me this debt collector must be right down there with Synchrony. I had a Lowe's card. Always made my payments. I was down to about 400 that I owed, Synchrony decides to lower my limit, so putting me over. Now comes the fun, interest upon interest charged. So I said enough... and when they were done they had me up to almost $1000. Now this joke of a law firm wants me to pay. I know Synchrony is paying a lot more than $1000 in cost for this. I have read so many reviews all saying the same as my story. What I want to know is why someone doesn't stop these lowlife crooks?

Original review: April 4, 2018

They were calling my husband several times a day for what reasons I don't know, but very creepy. He finally answered and told me they were looking for me. I called them to ask them what this was about, they claimed I owed Capital One Bank $3,000 for an old credit card. Considering I have a current credit card & bank account with Capital One Bank both in good standing and credit limits that do not match the figures the rep presented, this is obviously BS. I also get credit alerts & identify theft alerts sent to me immediately via email and text if there's anything I need to review, and I've never seen anything on my credit from these people.

They also tried to tell me they had 2 other account in my name, which also conveniently did not exist on my credit report and never did. I told them to quit calling me and that the debt they are calling about does not belong to me, regardless if they have the last 4 digits of my social security number or not. I'll be making note of the times and dates they called, I saw that someone else on here said they were sued recently. I may consider doing so myself.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I was constantly harassed over a disputed false debt. They called 1,000 times usually 30 times in a row in 15 minutes! I changed my phone number 4 times. It continued all hrs of the day and night. Laughing at me with each call!! They passed said bill to attys in Marietta, GA cooling and winter attys, a debt collection law firm. They harassed me. Brought it to my local court. I. Foolishly agreed to pay 2,000 and did so they have ** bookkeeping and called wanting more money AFTER it WAS paid in full, I sent my faxes with proof it was paid. They transferred the new false amt due (completely contrived), to a new collection law firm!! Go figure!! Shysters all, of them!!! A lawsuit is all they will understand!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Be careful with debt collectors. If you have to deal with them keep track of every payment & document it date & all when was sent, etc. If you can pay off the debt in full do it if you can. The less you have to deal with it the better. These places buy debts for pennies on the dollar. Don’t let them intimidate you. They make a commission off the debts. Just be careful when dealing with a debt collector. Like I said document everything including payments. Don’t let them get the upper hand.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have no debt. I haven't had a mortgage in many years. I haven't carried a balance on any credit card in many years. Haven't carried a balance over a few hundred dollars in 13 years, and I paid that balance in full - even confirmed this with the creditor after it had cashed my check. After this, I continued to live at the same place for many years. This former creditor had my address and number and never once contacted me apart from sending advertisements to get another card. I moved many years later - and many years have since passed.

I work, and I have had the same contact info for many years. It is on LexNex and Experian - which all legitimate collection firms have (I used to collect for a living). My current contact info has been in both LexNex and Experian since it became my contact info nine years ago. I have no debt for anyone to be looking to collect. And if a legitimate creditor or collector wanted to find me, it would take about 30 seconds to do so. This company called my father today claiming to be looking for me. The name of the firm and its website indicate that it is a debt buyer. You're not allowed to call relatives claiming to be looking for someone if you have their contact info or access to it. This is definitely a scam.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Portfolio will lie and cheat to tell you what you want to hear. If you pay them off or even make installments they will hurt your credit at least 20 points. When you call them back to ask why? They say that they are not trained on credit issues. Total fraud. If you pay in full, make payments or don't pay them it will be on your credit for 7 years. Do your homework. Don't let this company fool you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I am paying monthly to these people more than my minimum payments. I was using their website to pay. But no more. Now they fail to let you know. That when you pay online it starts an automatic monthly payment against your checking or debit card. I called them to stop this. They said I agreed to it. **. This company needs to stop this.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I had a credit card with Capital One and they sent it to PRA for collection (due to a system issue on Cap One side and I wasn't informed about it). God, I have never spoken to anyone more idiotic than the ones that work at PRA, Norfolk. They keep saying they can't reveal the information I am asking for when it's my account and I am the one who's gonna pay off the debt. They kept saying the same crap phrase - 'You will be provided the information in accordance to the account under collection' but never would say what's required to proceed with the next step. A bunch of fools! Pathetic people, am wondering how they live with themselves.

Had a really hard time with these guys. I sent them a written response and received the same information that they told me on the call. Then, I googled out some contact information and sent a letter directly to a higher authority and only then they sent me the account statement. Finally, had a call with one of those ridiculous fools and settled up my account. Phewww, one hell of an experience it was!!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I called Ally this week to get the payoff on my auto loan and was told the loan was sold. They provided a number which I called multiple times requesting the new account number and address of where to mail the payment. I received no return call. I did obtain another number and called, but after receiving no callback, I finally got a live person this am. They refused to provide an address and told me I need to call after 11am CST. My payment is due by the end of the month and needs to be in the mail today. This is unacceptable. My loan payments have always been on time and I have been attempting to get the address to mail my payment since 10/25.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

In 2016 I became involved in a class action suit against PCA and we won a settlement. I received about $46. Now they are again attempting to collect a debt that was paid in full last year. Calls are daily, and they do not want to hear or acknowledge that the debt has been paid and that we won a lawsuit against them. It is almost like they expect double payment! These folks should be put out of business!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Portfolio Recovery is trying to collect on a debt that is over 10 years old. The Arkansas statute of limitations on a written contract is 5 years but they are still try to collect it from me. I have sent them a letter without implying that I own the debt stating the Arkansas law.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

They have called my mother every day for 2 weeks, we block robocalls, so they call right back from a different number. My mother had a stroke and cannot speak, told them this with every call and asked for written info to send POA to so we can handle the situation, they will say they need to speak with her to get permission to talk to me. SHE CANNOT TALK! They want me to fax them the POA with the account number, which I don't have and they won't give to me. Spoke with a supervisor, that was a joke. I used to be a collector so I know the rules and I know the games. They can keep calling, but until I get proof of what she owes and why, they are not getting one dime.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

This company calls and harass me on a daily basis. Sometimes two or more times a day. This has been going on for five years or more. I have been making payments as I could afford them over this period of time. However in February of this year I set up a scheduled payment plan so that they could quit calling me. Needless to say, they continue to call me two or more times a week because they either do not take out the scheduled payment or they cancel my payment schedule. Every time I try to explain this to them they try to make it my fault because of their screw up. I will admit that I have not been the nicest person to deal with since setting up the payment schedule because it bothers me that they continue to call. Especially when I make the payments on time and they are not applying them to my account.

Today I received another call from them to set up another payment schedule (this is the 5th time doing this) because someone went into my account on Aug. 5, 2017 and cancelled what I set up on July 19, 2017. I was unaware of this happening until I received their call. When I tried to explain not only to the associate but also to her manager they told me that they didn't do it. I told her they had to because I have not been in that account since July 8, 2017. As I was trying to explain the situation the manager kept interrupting me and was not trying to hear what I was saying. I was already upset because they called and was admittedly being rude but this really upset me.

So I tried to set up the arrangement once again with the associate. She kept asking questions and I told her that she already has all of my information and to just please set up the payments so we can end this call because I was upset and didn't want to talk about it anymore. So she hung up on me. I called back and explained my situation to another associate, who did not ask all of the dumb questions the previous associate did and setup the payment plan yet again without issue. And requested that they send me letters confirming this info. I'm sure they are going to screw things up and start calling me again because they do this literally all of the time.

These people do not communicate with one another nor do they read the notes in their system. Because if they did they would know that I have set this up numerous times and with various people. Every time they call they are calling from a different state and I have to tell them to read their notes and that's when they proceed to tell me that they see in their notes that I have spoken with someone previously and set up a payment schedule but that I did not make a payment. Funny thing about that is that after they took out the "missing" payment they sent a letter stating that they took out the money. Also, they tried to tell me that something was wrong with the banking information and that they received an NSF message from the bank which I know is also a lie because I have another account that has the same banking info and that payment was taken out without a problem.

This company is the most incompetent company that I have ever dealt with. They really need to get it together and do their jobs because it is extremely frustrating to continuously be harassed due to their employees not reading their notes and not following through on posting payments correctly. If they had their company in one central place instead of all over the country they could possibly do a better job of keeping track of what their employees are doing.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

7 years ago, I got very angry with a bank. They jacked my credit card interest up to 30% and lied about when they would lower it back to normal. So I made payments until I paid back the money borrowed. (They just didn't get any interest.) Then I called them and told them "no more, I just could not pay all that money." They eventually wrote it off. Then I started getting calls from Portfolio Recovery. Just the name implies they are the good guys trying to help the creditors. I blocked more than 70 phone numbers connected with them. This was in 2011 when they started calling me. I checked my credit score recently and found they changed the date to 2013 now. The debt itself should be off the books entirely in September. I am thinking of contacting an attorney friend of mine and we may go after lost money due to higher interest rates because of this.

Portfolio is very shady and you owe them nothing. They buy old debts and try to scare people into paying them off. They sometimes sue and get judgments on people that don't know any better. As I understand it, in Texas, a credit card debt more than 4 years old cannot have a judgment placed on it. Further, the date of the last payment made to the original debtor is the charge off date. Not the date the collector decides to put on your credit report. That would be fraud. Portfolio Recovery, as I understand it, has and is currently being sued for this.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I have on my reject list as of today 07/12/2017 24 different phone # from about 10 different states from the same company. They will just don't quit calling. Everyday one to two calls. What agency can I contact to stop these calls?

Original review: April 22, 2017

20 years ago I had a debt. Every 2-3 years this reappears with a different date. When it does they call and harass my friends, family, employers and me. They tell the attorney general and BBB they will remove and never contact me again and then it starts 2 years later... anyone else because it is ILLEGAL to keep changing the date!

Original review: April 13, 2017

First of all, they are not acting on behalf of a creditor. They've purchased the debt from a creditor. I was served papers, apparently 3 times, however, I do not have any knowledge of this happening. I filed for chapter 13 bankruptcy after this company had already, unlawfully gained a judgement in total amounts of nearly $14K via 3 separate judgments. When I've contacted the courts, they cannot provide the original debtor. First off, how can a collection agency who has purchased your debt from an institution you held your contract with, be able to sue anyone for debt they purchased at a rate of .10 on the dollar? Second, how can a collection agency who is not the original creditor get a judgment against you, let alone for the SAME DOLLAR AMOUNTS OWED TO THE ORIGINAL CREDITOR WHEN THEY PURCHASED IT FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR?

Third, the original debtor you signed your legal contract with has already written the debt off their books, gaining a federal tax deduction for your inability to pay, while a collection agency is legally allowed to purchase this unpaid debt for pennies on the dollar and harass you in your hometown and country by gaining a judgement for all to see, how is this not the worst form of harassment and how can a collection agency sue you when you never conducted business with them??? Anyone reading this, mark my words, if they will take me to court 3 times without my knowledge and gain judgements, filed on the title of my home, which never dissolve and are payable at the highest legal rate of interest, you better get everything recorded (check your state's recording laws prior to doing so to ensure legality) and in writing.

Do nothing without documented confirmation of your agreement FIRST. Many people fell upon hard times within the past decade. Portfolio Recovery found a way to go way beyond their legal limitations regarding their practices. I filed for Chapter 13, and am on a 5-year repayment plan. All of my debt is gone from my credit record, but these 3 judgments from Portfolio Recovery. It will result in a huge legal battle with them to get them to remove these Judgements, I can see that, but it will be worth every penny I make to see them put in their place.

In my opinion, they should be put out of business. If nothing else, all who have been illegally harassed by any of their employees, contract employees, attorneys or third parties acting on their behalf should join forces and file a suit together. Contact your States Attorney General with a detailed letter of the illegal and unethical practices of Portfolio Recovery. This is no small ma and pa collections agency. Do not ignore their contacts and document every communication with them. Had I have known about a court date, I would have appeared, explaining my circumstances. When a defendant fails to appear, the Plaintiff automatically is granted everything they asked for in their petition.

Original review: March 17, 2017

This agency was contracted by PayPal to collect from me however I along with my bank provided supporting documents showing proof that PayPal collected on the debt with canceled check etc endorsed by PayPal. I asked them to investigate how it was cashed as they claim it was not cashed by PayPal account although endorsement shows PayPal. Portfolio Recovery in the meantime keep calling and harassing me and not doing their job to investigate. Also my credit is compromised by this situation.

Original review: March 10, 2017

Portfolio Recovery actually has 2 accounts. (I believe) they REFUSE to investigate the evidence I've PROVEN that I had absolutely nothing to do with either account. I've tried for years...they NEVER put information I've given to them proving false information. My identity was stolen. I even told them by who. When accounts were opened in Michigan. I wasn't even living there for over 2 years!!! Thanks to them...(Not listening or investigating my evidence...now my credit sucks!) I TRULY BELIEVE EVERYONE IN MY SITUATION SHOULD OBTAIN AN ATTORNEY FOR CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!! I'M BEYOND FURIOUS.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I was in a car accident in November and I'm in bankruptcy. My vehicle had been paid off through bankruptcy. And State Farm finally issued me a check to pay off for my vehicle being totalled out. And somehow this company PRA interfered and cashed my check. So I went and talked to my attorney and he said that PRA still hasn't submitted the check to my trustee and it has been over 2 months. This company is crooks. PRA was getting paid through my bankruptcy so it wasn't right that they cashed my check. Now I'm without a vehicle and I have children and have to get around for work. This company are crooks.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

This is a debt so old which we settled in early 1994. Every 3 4 yrs they pop up again usually around tax time. They secure old loans and make every effort to collect. We had to settle this acct to refinance. It's been about 4 yrs and here we go again. Crazy and sadly they will continue. I don't even bother to call or even explain.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I was contacted by this company and was skeptical about them based on these reviews. I don't know what went wrong with so many people but my experience was great! I was able to have a friendly conversation and come to a great agreement to my balance. It was paid off with my offer, they were great! I have no problem with them based on my experience. I just read some of these reviews and wanted to shed some light for someone who wants to pay off debt!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

I set up a payment arrangement with this company. I've never missed a monthly payment, but they've never reported them. After 2 years of payments, I'd never have set up a payment plan had I known this.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I been getting harassed by this company since 2014. Recently they just started to call my phone every day with different numbers. I refuse to pick up. I had repeatedly told them I was unable to pay my bill. When I get the money they will get what I owe. Which is like 200. But I don't work because of my disability. I had change my phone number a lot but I'm not changing it again. Every time I change it they found the new one. How can I get them to stop calling me.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Company Information