Find a Debt Collection Agencies partner

Take a Financial Relief Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I have recently been contacted by Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC. about a debt that I am unsure of it being mine, I have requested several times for validation of the pre 2017 statements. They have yet to be provided and I have even done my due diligence and spoke to the original companies, which also are unable to provide validation (other than my name being on the account). I was escalated to Kenith (an operations manager) who was very apathetic and distant when I was explaining my situation. Towards the end he became dismissive and snide, I did not appreciate his lack of help to handle my situation. Not a good company involving debt collection.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I keep getting phone calls about an old debt that has been written off. It is too late to collect, but if I pay it goes on my credit report. I keep telling them that I am not going to pay in order to hurt my credit. It is not on there now, so the answer is no. They call from different numbers. Sometimes they will leave a voicemail and sometimes they won't. Why harass me if they know they can't make me pay due to the law. I am not falling for some trickery.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

This company is hands down the worst, most heartless group of people I have EVER dealt with. Ever. Without receiving any notice, they wiped out my entire checking account today for a 10 year old credit card debt. Left me with a balance of $0.00. I call and ask them how am I supposed to take care of myself and my son seeing as how I'm a single dad now with no money and was told that it's my problem and I just have to deal with it. Do not deal with these people unless you like eating bugs and leaves.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had purchased a car months ago for my boyfriend and I so we would have a vehicle. I had my phone number on the application. Now this company who is stalking all these credit places will find a number and just assume it's to the person they are trying to connect with. My boyfriend and I do not pay each other's debts, and we do not give out each other's number. They will get angry and assume you are lying. I told them they had the wrong number and they would have to call him on his own phone. They asked for his number. For legal purposes I do not give out anyone's number. And they got bad have me their number and place of business.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

These people are harassing my parents to get ahold of me, and they are still calling them despite me telling them to stop and that they are not involved in the debt that I owe. They call my parents at least once daily and now they have even started calling at night and on Sundays. I have contacted a lawyer and I'm planning on doing everything within the law to make them stop harassing my poor parents who are in no way connected to the debt that I owe! I have never had to deal with such an unethical company that doesn't even have their information right and are harassing the wrong people! So ridiculous!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

These brain surgeons call from myriad different phone numbers at all hours of the day and evening, trying to collect on a debt that I don't owe, from a credit card which I maintain in excellent standing (and always have). My name is similar to the name of the person they're seeking to harass, and they will not stop no matter how many times I've explained this. They're rude, ruthless, and horrible.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

This company calls me daily for nothing. My ex wife still uses my phone number for her credit card frauds and this is her cover. I called the Fla state's attorney and made a complaint. They forwarded my complaint to the consumer bureau of Fla, are you sitting down? All they do is COLLECT info on companies so they will have a database even after the company and their shady business practices, no one does anything. This Fla consumer agency let this flunky company get away with a non answer as to what my debt was and who they were looking for by calling me, they havent stopped.

I am getting a lawyer and complaining to Virginia's BBB, where they are based. BTW I own my home, cars and all, I have NO debt or any inquiries on my credit report, I PAY ALL of the bills I make. Also this site had me write a complaint and then log in. Lost complaint, and my password was no good, I used my old/new password to enter site and then write complaint all over again, word to the wise.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I am trying to purchase a house. I have all necessary documents except for one. I found out prior to our close that this was pulling up on my credit. I married this debt, but it was 700 dollars. I paid it in full the first time I saw it and then we paid the entire balance. It's been 4 months since then. I have not been able to receive a letter of satisfaction. This is now causing an issue with the completion of our home purchase. I have heard it's been escalated for the past two months. Now four months later I still can't get a real time frame for anything. This is ridiculous.

Original review: July 20, 2019

** they called from this number and change numbers every day. The debt was written off years ago. But they keep calling. I sought an attorney, used call blockers but they continue to call. I spoke with them and informed that debt was written off so they stop calling at 8 am. Now they call at 9 am. Once they sent me a fake court date to come to court.

Original review: July 6, 2019

These people have been trying to contact a person who shares my name for the past six months regarding a Capital One debt. At first, I was nice and informed them that I believe they have the wrong person. I have no Capital One credit card on my credit report, and have never had any Capital One credit lines in my life. They asked if my date of birth was such and such. I told them NO. They asked if I lived at such and such address in South Carolina. I told them NO, I don't even know anyone who lives in South Carolina. They asked if the last 4 of my SSN was **, and I said NO. The only thing I have in common with the person who owes that debt is a VERY common name.

The woman I spoke with thanked me, and said they obviously had the wrong person. I thought this was settled. The calls stopped for 2 weeks, then started right back up. Same thing. Trying to collect the exact same debt. I told them again that they have the WRONG PERSON. They keep right on calling! This is harassment! This has been going on for SIX MONTHS! Sometimes they will call 2-3 times a day. Something needs to be done about this nonsense.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Company Information