portfoliorecovery.com

Take a Financial Relief Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC?

Original review: June 29, 2020

Continued harassment from this organization to include incorrect amount reported to credit bureaus and harassing calls. Agreed to a settlement, made initial payment and they did not process final payment stating they were unable to AND took balance back to original amount. Fraudulent Practices that should be illegal!!!

Original review: May 7, 2020

Portfolio illegally reports items to credit reports that are over 20 years old. The FCRA allows debt to be reported for 7 years. Portfolio isn’t interested in following the law. I’ve contacted several attorney generals about this and they are now being investigated.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I have been trying to pay a judgment that I got back in 2017. My account manager or the person above my account has hung up the phone every time I call. The apartment complex performs an unlawful eviction tossing all my belonging before the time granted by state law expired. I have been trying to pay the unpaid rent, but not the costs of trashing my items like my kids' bunkbeds, my bed, a dresser, a skateboard, and tags and chains of my deceased dog. I have been trying to have a simple conversation with Mona and she has only yelled and behaved rudely to the point that I can no longer get a hold of her as she refuses to take my calls. I have not been able to clean my credit and find a house for me and my three children.

Original review: April 22, 2020

They have contacted me even more now after Covid19 with the phone calls, several times daily from different states. No other has called me but this company. There is something inherently wrong with the owners of this organization.

Original review: April 16, 2020

They have an easy payment system online and will delete your account once settled after 30 days. Really hard to get others to do that so kudos to them. They also give you offer letters which you can also reduce how much you have to pay. The downside to this company are two things. First, minor issue. Their online chat is horrendous. You have to provide them with so much information in regards to your account that when you go look it up it kicks you out. I was trying to ask one simple question, not even related to my account, just a general question, and for a week I could not get anyone to answer it without needing name, phone number, account, merchant, last 4 digits of social security, account balance and like two other things just to even get them to answer if taking can be accepted as paid in full. After a week and online sleuthing, I found the answer in a myFICO forum.

Second, the amount of freaking contact they attempt. Every day 2-10 times with different numbers. On Sundays at 8:30 am or on a Tuesday at 9:01pm. I was making payments for 10 months, put them on hold, the next day just a flood of calls. And when you are making payments, I see no reason for them to mail you a letter 2-3 times amount about when your payment is due, a reminder of payment due, and thanks for your payment. The amount of damage they are doing to the environment with insisting on wasting resources to let you know when something is due is crazy. Just set up an SMS or email system. Other than those gripes, they're not bad. Their online payment is simple and easy to use. I've had no issues with their customer service. Be communicative in a friendly manner and they'll work with you.

Original review: April 1, 2020

These pieces of trash call me everyday —multiple times a day — over a $500 debt I owe. Even through the ongoing covid-19 pandemic, these awful, hideous, morally & ethically bankrupt monsters are STILL bothering people with phone calls. Disgraceful excuse for a company. Awful even by debt collector standards. People are DYING all across the country, & these scumbags continue to operate as business as usual. People are out of work & shut-in inside their homes — some without money or food — & these monsters continue to operate as business as usual. Disgusting people.

Original review: March 26, 2020

The card had $70 on and now they want 3x that. I found the mailing in a mailbox at parents old house not used in years. I made an offer of 1 time payment. They refused. Payment. Was not enough. With coronavirus we all may be dead weeks from now. Sure no one is running to pay off debt with things going on right now.

Original review: March 23, 2020

Portfolio Recovery passed along a debt of my ex to me. In that time, I have 343 phone calls documented from them. Today, when this Virginia company called me from a local number (where my family and parents live), with everything going on, I answered. This company RUINS personal phones. Their anticipating an obligation to answer. Well, you're the one ruining it. Where is the FCC with penalties? This is absolutely abhorrent behavior and no business outside of this industry would dare even try doing this. Why does this man get a line drawn and the sand: **.

And Portfolio Recovery gets to do this "business as usual" during a pandemic? Get real. Open your eyes. The #1 and #2 focus of the country, get people confident in the future and reduce the medical issue from growing. Yet, today on the phone (I have the recording) you ask ME if you should not do your job? The answer is Yes. Don't spoof local numbers and demand payment from US citizens this week. Give them a break, or I'll help the FCC look back on this and post mortem your behavior and inability to adapt process, policies and procedures to help right now. "Look for the helpers." Clearly, your company doesn't want to be in that category. Shocker.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Portfolio Recovery sent a 1099-C to the IRS recently for the year 2017. They say that they sent it to an old PO BOX that I had 6 or 7 years ago. I found out about this when I received a notice from the IRS in December 2019 saying that I may owe them almost $4000 because of this cancellation of debt. I have had several conversations with Portfolio Recovery which tells me that this debt was charged off in my favor in 1995. How is it in my favor if now the IRS is saying I owe almost $4000? I have asked who was the original debtor and the company that they give me is no longer in service.

They gave me a number to reach the debtor but when I call, it gives me numbers to the businesses in that area. I asked for proof that this is my account because I don't ever remember having a credit line that large. They have nothing. They sent me a letter stating that my balance is zero after talking with them several times and after their investigation of this situation. I called the IRS and they say that doesn't work for them. They sent it in and I owe! I had to complete a Form 14039 which I claim identify theft. Wow! Can any business send things to the IRS stating that we owe money and it is just accepted without proof?

Now I am fighting a battle in my retirement age because some business that can't even prove it was me says that I have a charge off that happened 23 years ago. Please look after your loved ones that are getting older. This has really made me wonder how many people are being ripped off!!! I guess the next step will be to get a lawyer to put money in their pocket.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

This company has a bad debt of mine from a couple years ago. Yes they called too much, but that is what a debt collector does. I am someone trying to make a debt correct and they have been very patient with me while I figure out my financial situation. They have set up payments and so far so good. They even gave me a percent off of what I owe. They were very willing to work with my circumstances. Pretty unprofessional with laughing in the background of all of my calls, but that happens a lot if you work at a call center. You cannot control everyone else's behavior as you are in the phone.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I fell in hard times four years ago and by the time I was in a better position to start paying back my debt, two of my accounts had been placed with Portfolio Recovery Services. They are awful. Constantly called both my cell phone, my work phone, and my co-worker's phones. When I spoke to them, they offered to only settle for 30% which was still way too high for me to pay. Ultimately, they ended up leaving me alone because the statute of limitations in my state that they could sue ended. But, my nightmare continues with them as I received a 1000C for both accounts so now I will be paying the IRS for years to come. I wish I could offer better news to anyone trying to deal with them but they will find a way to screw you over no matter what you do.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

2 collections showed up on my credit report. Contacted Portfolio Recovery. I have never dealt with more incompetent people. They were unable to tell me ANYTHING about the accounts. Couldn't produce any history, any idea of what the original debt was for, or any evidence that it was even mine. More like an extortion operation. These people are criminals, Treat them accordingly.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

They call multiple times a day, every day, even on holidays and weekends, from spoofed numbers that appear as local calls. They do this so you cannot block them. They've used well over 150 different numbers so far. Hell will be frozen over before I give these sleazebags one dime.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

This company calls me everyday from numerous different numbers. They don't leave messages which means they are robocalling. I have no debts and never have, so I have no idea why they're calling me. They're obviously calling the wrong number. My credit rating is A1 and I'm in the top 3%. I've emailed them and told them to stop calling me and to remove my number from their database. They never responded, and continue to psycho call. Can't wait until the president signs the Stopping Bad Robocalls Act which will fine these kind of people $10k per call. I've reported them to the BBB. I'm tired of being harassed.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I have recently been contacted by Portfolio Recovery Associates LLC. about a debt that I am unsure of it being mine, I have requested several times for validation of the pre 2017 statements. They have yet to be provided and I have even done my due diligence and spoke to the original companies, which also are unable to provide validation (other than my name being on the account). I was escalated to Kenith (an operations manager) who was very apathetic and distant when I was explaining my situation. Towards the end he became dismissive and snide, I did not appreciate his lack of help to handle my situation. Not a good company involving debt collection.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I keep getting phone calls about an old debt that has been written off. It is too late to collect, but if I pay it goes on my credit report. I keep telling them that I am not going to pay in order to hurt my credit. It is not on there now, so the answer is no. They call from different numbers. Sometimes they will leave a voicemail and sometimes they won't. Why harass me if they know they can't make me pay due to the law. I am not falling for some trickery.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

This company is hands down the worst, most heartless group of people I have EVER dealt with. Ever. Without receiving any notice, they wiped out my entire checking account today for a 10 year old credit card debt. Left me with a balance of $0.00. I call and ask them how am I supposed to take care of myself and my son seeing as how I'm a single dad now with no money and was told that it's my problem and I just have to deal with it. Do not deal with these people unless you like eating bugs and leaves.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I had purchased a car months ago for my boyfriend and I so we would have a vehicle. I had my phone number on the application. Now this company who is stalking all these credit places will find a number and just assume it's to the person they are trying to connect with. My boyfriend and I do not pay each other's debts, and we do not give out each other's number. They will get angry and assume you are lying. I told them they had the wrong number and they would have to call him on his own phone. They asked for his number. For legal purposes I do not give out anyone's number. And they got bad have me their number and place of business.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

These people are harassing my parents to get ahold of me, and they are still calling them despite me telling them to stop and that they are not involved in the debt that I owe. They call my parents at least once daily and now they have even started calling at night and on Sundays. I have contacted a lawyer and I'm planning on doing everything within the law to make them stop harassing my poor parents who are in no way connected to the debt that I owe! I have never had to deal with such an unethical company that doesn't even have their information right and are harassing the wrong people! So ridiculous!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

These brain surgeons call from myriad different phone numbers at all hours of the day and evening, trying to collect on a debt that I don't owe, from a credit card which I maintain in excellent standing (and always have). My name is similar to the name of the person they're seeking to harass, and they will not stop no matter how many times I've explained this. They're rude, ruthless, and horrible.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

This company calls me daily for nothing. My ex wife still uses my phone number for her credit card frauds and this is her cover. I called the Fla state's attorney and made a complaint. They forwarded my complaint to the consumer bureau of Fla, are you sitting down? All they do is COLLECT info on companies so they will have a database even after the company and their shady business practices, no one does anything. This Fla consumer agency let this flunky company get away with a non answer as to what my debt was and who they were looking for by calling me, they havent stopped.

I am getting a lawyer and complaining to Virginia's BBB, where they are based. BTW I own my home, cars and all, I have NO debt or any inquiries on my credit report, I PAY ALL of the bills I make. Also this site had me write a complaint and then log in. Lost complaint, and my password was no good, I used my old/new password to enter site and then write complaint all over again, word to the wise.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I am trying to purchase a house. I have all necessary documents except for one. I found out prior to our close that this was pulling up on my credit. I married this debt, but it was 700 dollars. I paid it in full the first time I saw it and then we paid the entire balance. It's been 4 months since then. I have not been able to receive a letter of satisfaction. This is now causing an issue with the completion of our home purchase. I have heard it's been escalated for the past two months. Now four months later I still can't get a real time frame for anything. This is ridiculous.

Original review: July 20, 2019

** they called from this number and change numbers every day. The debt was written off years ago. But they keep calling. I sought an attorney, used call blockers but they continue to call. I spoke with them and informed that debt was written off so they stop calling at 8 am. Now they call at 9 am. Once they sent me a fake court date to come to court.

Original review: July 6, 2019

These people have been trying to contact a person who shares my name for the past six months regarding a Capital One debt. At first, I was nice and informed them that I believe they have the wrong person. I have no Capital One credit card on my credit report, and have never had any Capital One credit lines in my life. They asked if my date of birth was such and such. I told them NO. They asked if I lived at such and such address in South Carolina. I told them NO, I don't even know anyone who lives in South Carolina. They asked if the last 4 of my SSN was **, and I said NO. The only thing I have in common with the person who owes that debt is a VERY common name.

The woman I spoke with thanked me, and said they obviously had the wrong person. I thought this was settled. The calls stopped for 2 weeks, then started right back up. Same thing. Trying to collect the exact same debt. I told them again that they have the WRONG PERSON. They keep right on calling! This is harassment! This has been going on for SIX MONTHS! Sometimes they will call 2-3 times a day. Something needs to be done about this nonsense.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Letter to my father to collect a 3.7k debt from Capital One. My mother received a letter stating that my father had an outstanding balance and now into collection. My father passed away 30 years ago and this debt was acquired in 1999 and it went awry in 2003. I have had a call on my cellphone...I do not owe this bogus debt? They said that legal proceedings? Today again, spoke to a rep and they said they will notate this. This company is a predator, the debt occurred after my father passed, they call people who do not have the debt, they threaten with legal action. How do we report to the Better Business Bureau and spread the word.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Portfolio Recovery continues to break Federal Law and engage in criminal business practices which resulted in their being found guilty and fined by the United State Federal Govt. In our experience, this criminal enterprise sent a single notice of claiming ownership of an account in our name that never existed and was disputed several times with the claimed creditor they purchased the account from. They, then, proceeded to file a lawsuit seeking the amount claimed was owed and fees. Even after disputing this with them, they then threatened to garnish wages, seize vehicles, and any valuable property they could to satisfy a $1100 debt account that was not ours to begin with. Needless to say, the process is still ongoing with complaints filed with the federal government and NASDAQ exchange that this publicly traded company is a member of and traded on.

From the CEO right on down to the shareholders, paralegals, customer service reps, and their representing lawyers, the first instance of breaking federal law and preying on the American people didn't seem to get their attention or change their behavior. In fact, their entire so-called business model is predicated on parasitism and predation - siphoning what little assets and wealth the poor have into the hands of parasites who serve no function or purpose in society other than to attack and feed on it. It should be safe to say that far more stringent and exacting legal consequences will now be coming to this group of criminals and predators. Things will move beyond fines. Keep watch. The investigation is ongoing.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I recently decided to check my credit and had some collections from a few years back after a job loss. I called Portfolio and they agreed to a paid in full settlement. I paid the agreed amount immediately over the phone. They only deducted the amount I paid and it’s still on my report. It’s only 121$. I would have paid it all had I know. GET THINGS IN WRITING FROM THESE LIARS.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I in bankruptcy due to Toyota and a really bad car deal that went very sideways then to find out that Ally sold my cars to Portfolio Recovery Assets LLC that treating me like crap on the phone and disrespected me then 2 days before they start to procedures to repossess the vehicle due to no proof of insurance but I had insurance on the car since I bought them so this has been hell dealing with this company and with Ally not telling me any about selling the accounts I think it's BS cause I signed contract with Ally not this crap company so I hope someone from corporate call me to make this right.

Original review: May 20, 2019

This company is calling me multiple times a day. They are calling my office, my cell phone and my former mother-in-law's home. They call from different numbers every time. This is over some socks that I ordered from KingSize Direct that I was dissatisfied with and the company would do nothing about my complaint so I never paid for them and threw them away. Now I have this company harassing me multiple times on a daily basis. Multiple times per day even on holidays and at former relatives' homes. This is absolutely ridiculous. Now it's on my credit report hurting my credit. How is this even legal? By the way they are stating that I owe more than $450.00 when the socks I ordered were $136.00.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I had an account with American Express that disputed on the merits of its written contractual basis but it was still sent to various collection agencies (at the same time) including Portfolio Recovery Associates. Despite the passage of well more than 10 years they still call and annoy me at various times of the day and even late at night and as early as 6:30 A.M.

Portfolio Recovery Associates, LLC Company Information