Ocwen Financial Corp.
Ocwen Financial Corp.
Call toll free
4.07/5
Based on 375 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Ocwen Financial Corporation/Homeward Residential, Inc.

West Palm Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Ocwen Financial Corporation (Ocwen) is one of the leading mortgage servicing companies in America. We provide caring customer service and innovative mortgage solutions that help customers save money, build equity, and most importantly stay in their homes. Through our lending affiliate, Homeward Residential, Inc. (Homeward), we help customers refinance or buy their next home with HARP, Fannie Mae, and FHA mortgage options.

2790 Ocwen Financial Corp. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 11, 2018

During the years that I have contacted Ocwen services, they have been attentive, and have provided prompt options. When messages have been left they return calls in a timely manner and have been very professional in their assistance.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Sylvia, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we're delighted to read your feedback about the service provided by our employees.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 10, 2018

The representative was very helpful. The representative followed through with hardcopy that reflected our verbal communication, that I received in the postal mail. I am satisfied with my experience with the Ocwen representative.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Thank you, Carolyn, for taking the time to share your experience with Ocwen. We are here to help our customers and we're glad to hear that you were satisfied with your experience.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I recently changed home insurance companies with a much lower rate and had questions whether the escrow account had been re-evaluated which would result in a lower monthly mortgage payment. The representative quickly understood the issue and clearly explained my options and suggested course of action. A totally responsive and professional experience. I wish all companies had such knowledgeable and customer oriented employees. Thank you!

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Thank you, John! Ocwen is here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you're happy with your experience working with us.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Ocwen is the worse mortgage company my wife and I have ever dealt with. We completed a five year reorg late last year. All payments to Ocwen were made on time and after the reorg was completed we have made every payment on time. Things were going along great until last April when for reasons unknown to me Ocwen decided to back out five years worth of mortgage payments and then reapply them to our account.

Somehow these idiots didn't reapply all of our payments and now claim we are almost $800 in arrears. On top of that we filed our 2017 tax return based on the Form 1098 they sent us stating we paid $14K in interest. After they backed out our payments they sent us a revised 1098 stating we paid $0 in interest and then sent us another 1098 stating we paid $13K in interest. On top of all this they sent us a letter telling us to ignore the 1098's for $0 and $14K, that they were errors. What? You morons can't even get my interest payments correct?

We have talked to Ocwen representatives about this situation but have not gotten no resolution. I can't even make my monthly payments online. I have to call every month and listen to them tell me I'm behind almost $800 when I'm current. My next step is filing a complaint with the state and if that doesn't end this idiocy I have no choice but to hire an attorney. This has been a nightmare and it is all due to Ocwen having their head so far up their ** that they can't even figure out what they have done. Oh, my wife even talked to one person at Ocwen that didn't understand if you made a mortgage payment say on March 31st that this was your April payment. Really??? DO NOT get a mortgage thru Ocwen. I have never dealt with such a poorly run company. I'd give them zero stars if I could.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Lance, we sincerely apologize for your experience and we are forwarding your information to our Ombudsman team for a review of your account. They will be contacting you to discuss this further.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I approached Ocwen about refinancing request to use our equity to help pay for a repair on the home and have extra in case it was need. Ocwen advised at first that they would allow us to refinance but not for extra - to save $120 on the bill. I could not understand why we couldn't use the equity in our home. Ocwen at first was great - but when we ran into concerns, Ocwen pretty much slammed the door. I even called back to leave messages requesting if we were still eligible for refinance even to make it lower and there never was a reply. We had approached another lender who has been giving us counseling and is to the point looking at possibly giving us another loan soon to use the equity. It would have been nice if Ocwen had helped us understand instead of turned their backs.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Katherine, we take customer feedback very seriously and we apologize for your experience. Our Ombudsman team has been given this information and will contact you to discuss this further.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ocwen Financial Corporation/Homeward Residential, Inc.?

Original review: June 27, 2018

Ocwen was not the originator of my loan but bought it soon after I closed. Besides being late paying from time to time I had never had too much interaction with them. Lately I’ve experienced financial difficulties due to my wife’s illness and Ocwen has reached out to me and seem only too happy to help find a solution. It early on but I have confidence that we will find an amicable solution.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

James, we are sorry to hear about your wife's illness. We do appreciate the opportunity to work with you, and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My family member, more than half the provider of the mortgage. Took very ill, we got behind. So now they won't accept our payment. They want this ungodly amount. We been there over 40 years. Ocwen doesn't seem to have any compassion. I don't have anyone else to turn or take me in. They said they will work with us. I am waiting to see. And why they close my Western Union account because I was late, if they are going to work with us? It's because they rather see me broken and homeless. I pray there is a God!

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Sonya, Ocwen takes all feedback seriously, and we apologize for your experience. I see our Ombudsman team is currently working on this in response to your social media messages, and we will share this feedback with them as well.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I highly recommend Ocwen Loan Services. They have great customer services and always finding ways to help homeowners with their loans. I have been with Ocwen for many years and have been extremely satisfied.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Thank you, Irene, for your feedback and recommendation! Ocwen is here to help our customers, and we're delighted to hear about the great customer service you've received through the years.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I had a very pleasant experience with the representative that assisted me. Each time that I have had to call in for a question or something that I needed to be explained I was always given the highest customer service without leaving anything unanswered. I believe that OCWEN Mortgage is by far one of the nation's finest Lending Institutions, and they all can learn by OCWEN’S practices because I have been with other lenders and all of the experiences were not the best.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Quandra, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience, and we're delighted to read your feedback about the customer service you've received.

Original review: June 22, 2018

The agent I spoke with was very helpful and very well spoken and informed. He did everything he could to make my experience with Ocwen under the circumstances very pleasant and successful and I truly appreciate that. He has great customer service skills, I wish more companies treated their customers as well, thank you Ocwen.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Thank you, Linda! We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience, and we're delighted to hear about the great customer service you received.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 21, 2018

This has been a terrible experience and I'm so mad right now. First of all Ocwen added a "remark" to my credit report on Jun 3, 2018 stating "foreclousure initiation". I have not been late on my payment in nearly 9 years. I immediately contacted Ocwen to be given the runaround and was told TransUnion must have added it in error. I called TransUnion and was informed that they are record keepers and only add what the creditors send them. I spent hours on the phone because I wanted this mess off the remarks on my credit. I was finally notified by Ocwen that it was an error and it would be removed and the remark "loan modified" would be added.

Well this didn't make me feel any better. My loan was modified 8 years 2 months ago and the remark has NEVER been on my report so why now. I don't feel that it is fair or right for Ocwen to just added this comment after 8 years 2 months. I just spoke with Ocwen again and was advised they wanted ME to provide proof that is has never been on the report. TransUnion told me its never been on the report but TU doesn't provide proof nor do they do 3-way calls. So how the heck am I suppose to have proof of credit reports for the past 8 years and 2 months. This is a bunch of bullcrap. They don't try to help you with the problem and they care. They have the worst reviews and complaints and I wish I could move my loan. I will be surely looking for a different mortgage company after this poor treatment.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Nikki, Ocwen takes all customer feedback very seriously and we apologize for your experience. This information has been forwarded to our Ombudsman team and they will be contacting you to discuss further. Thank you.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I called yesterday to get a breakdown of miscellaneous fees being charged in the amount of $427.92. The customer service rep on the phone could not tell me, but said he would send me the breakdown. When I received it this am via email, I was in shock. SP Web Fees, Property Inspection Fess, as well as Property Inspection Fees (Exterior). I called a spoke to another customer service rep who sent my call to an "Escalation" rep. I asked her what is a SP Web Fee. She said it was a fee charged for using their web page to make a payment. I reminded her I was already charged that fee and it was paid when I made my payment, and I have my bank statements to prove it. She then said I was not being charged that again, to which I told her they were in fact charging me that fee again because I was looking at the statement they just sent me. She said I was not and she would not "argue" with me about it.

FACT is, they are charging me AGAIN a $10.00 SP Web Fee for making a payment online. That fee is included on the statement. Why am I paying it if I have already paid it!!! I have my bank statements to prove it. I then asked her how they could charge me $317.92 for Property Inspection Fees when no one has ever been to my house. She could only say they had a right to charge that, even though no one has ever been here. She was no help at all, and refused to even consider taking these fees off, or offering another way to get these issues resolved. Her name is Vickie, ID #**. Totally rude and not helpful at all. I have/am dealing with other issues with them, but would need a book... Am considering getting an attorney as they are total frauds.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Cheryl, Ocwen takes all feedback very seriously, and we apologize for your experience. Your information has been sent to our Ombudsman team to review the breakdown of miscellaneous fees charged to your account and they will be contacting you to follow up.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We have been through a terrible time for more than a year and a half with my wife's medical issues and have been unable to make a house payment due to the loss of her income. Ocwen has been so helpful and patient during this time and we can't say thank you enough.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Tim, thank you for your positive feedback. Ocwen is here to help our customers, and we're glad you reached out to us for assistance.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have been dealing with various Ocwen reps for several years. My wife and I are in an active Chapter 13 bankruptcy. We did not declare our home in the bankruptcy and have continued making our monthly mortgage payments in a timely fashion. We have never been late or paid a late fee. Ocwen has lost our mortgage twice in the last 10 months. We have had to issue a "stop payment" on our check which cost us $35.00 and then re-issue a payment. The most recent episode was with our May payment. We mailed our May payment on April 30th and it never was credited to our account. This time I decided to not stop payment on the check mailed on April 30th to see if it would arrive. It never did. I finally stopped payment on that check, at a cost of $35.00 and mailed two checks, one for the May payment and one for the June payment.

I sent them by Priority Mail at a cost of $ 6.70, and they were received and signed for on June 4th. The two checks cleared my bank on June 6th. I have been working with an ERM rep for some time and have found it very difficult to contact her. I have left multiple messages for her and she does not return my calls. I have read hundreds of customer reviews for Ocwen and was amazed at the hundreds of poor reviews I read. Based upon my experiences, I can understand why there are so many such reviews.

I just sent another lengthy e-mail to the ERM department at Ocwen and sent a carbon-copy to my attorney for his review. I am almost 77 years old and am a retired firefighter so I have seen many things in my life and I can honestly say that I have never dealt with a company like Ocwen. I would gladly appear on a TV show to express my frustration with this company. I'm sure that this review with get the same "canned" response from Ocwen that all of the other poor reviews received but, at least I have vented my frustration. I would welcome a personal comment from anyone. Thanks for your time!!!

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Bruce, Ocwen takes all customer feedback very seriously and it is our goal to make every attempt to resolve your concerns. This information has been assigned to our Ombudsman team to review your concerns and contact you to discuss further. Thank you.

Original review: June 5, 2018

As you can see in my previous complaint on 5/28/18 the Ombudsman got involved. They were given bank statements, credit reports, VOM, and Credit Report History proving that there is a reporting issue. Today 6/5/18 I get an email stating that they are not fixing the errors... yet this is what I get “In the event you believe Ocwen has made an error in the credit reporting of your loan or that the above mentioned months are not the months in dispute, please provide us with a copy of the credit report at the address provided below. Please include the following information: Identification of which month(s) and what reporting is being disputed. Explanation of why this month(s) and reporting is being disputed. All applicable evidence showing that your payment for that month(s) was received on time or that the information we reported was incorrect."

Ok how many times do I have to show proof of this error? Didn’t I just send all this in? I sent every bit of this information requested multiple times into the Credit Reporting Team and the Ombudsman team. Including credit reports showing past years were fixed then changed then fixed then changed... there is no help with any of the teams involved they are fraud (Google them)... I am now wondering if I mail all the Bank Statements and credit reports to their investors... let them see what is going on, not to mention maybe the IRS also my bank statements showing they are reporting my interest paid for year is incorrect based on proof of bank statements.

Obviously no one at Ocwen knows basic accounting and even with proof reports what they choose, or assumes another department has done the correct research. Assuming this company would of done the proper research based on bank statements to correct the issue and the fact that I was purchasing a home and needing it fixed immediately I chose to at the time attempt this myself, now that they have failed to address and fix the issues presented to them on my bank statements and lost me not only the sale of my home and a purchase of another home, I will be taking this issue much further, I fully understand everyone else’s issues with this company and hope everyone gets resolution without it being a small class action lawsuit because the stress, mental anguish, and anxiety I have had in the last 3 years can’t be paid off.

The losses and impact that their company has done to our lives is worse than losing a home to an earthquake or fire and losing all your irreplaceable belongings. I can’t stress enough to stay away from this company! And as I have done in the past I will continue to fight this issue and will continue to pray for everyone who has also been impacted by this company, they can not continue to destroy people’s lives.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

We see our Ombudsman team is continuing to work with you on your concerns, and we will share this additional information with them.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I refinanced my mortgage through OCWEN in 2007 and it was literally the best decision ever. I have NEVER had a negative interaction with any employee and everyone is so nice & helpful. I would recommend OCWEN without hesitation. They really do care about their clients.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Tammy, thank you for this review and for the recommendation! We are here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear that you are happy with the service provided by our Ocwen employees.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My principal amount payoff is $19,000. My grandparents are an elderly couple that I took care of in their older years left me their house and generosity for taking care of them. When I went to go sell the house I called to get up pay off seat and they said I owed $36,000. $14,000 + Financial charges this amount of $36,000 has never been on a statement. I have gotten myself into a lot of trouble now and I tried to ask him about it. They spoke to me like I was very stupid. I tried to explain if it's not on the statement how would I know.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Travis, Ocwen takes all customer feedback very seriously and we apologize for your experience. This information has been assigned to our Ombudsman team and they will be contacting you to discuss further. Thank you.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I never had a problem with this mortgage company. I have been with them for the last 6 years and never had a problem. At one time they were calling after I had made arrangements and it annoy me, but after explaining that it was due to the computer doing auto dial, and each time they were pleasant to explain the procedure I accept it and never was bother after that. I always pay when I get my social security check and I get a confirmation quickly after paying. I never had a problem with Ocwen and I would consider them excellent.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Thank you, Jim, for your positive review. It is our goal to provide an exceptional customer experience and we're delighted to read your feedback about Ocwen!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Ocwen has been my loan servicer since 2009. I have struggled at various times over the years and came perilously close to losing my house. But the representatives always communicated with me and shared options with me. I am grateful.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Thank you, Adrienne, for taking the time to share your experience with Ocwen. We are here to help our customers and we appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Awful experience. They stole our money and could not find it. Tried to modify our loan. They took over 6 months and just played us so they could take our house. All you talk to are foreign people who can't speak English. Thanks to them we are homeless.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Christy, Ocwen takes customer feedback seriously, and we sincerely apologize for your experience. Your account has been assigned to our Ombudsman team to review your account and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have been suffering since 2012 my account was with Chase. JPMorgan sold the account to account after short sale the property and after many years reporting to my credit I owe them. This bank representatives are overseas and to get the documents gets lost and when I talk to someone, they escalated the call from one department to another. I did a 3 way call Ocwen, Chase and myself, Chase verified they did the SHORT SALE, gave Ocwen all the details, and they haven't done anything.

This is a big problem when they have move overseas to safe money since is cheaper to pay their employees, but, we suffer for not being able to contact direct to representatives in USA to solve problems sooner. Many faces got lost and takes them over a week to received if they get it, but, by their own representatives said, is 50/50 to get the documents CUSTOMERS send. I will be looking for a Legal Advice to resolve this problem, since is costing me to use my Credit... Think a million times before you choose Ocwen.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Richard, we sincerely apologize for your experience with Ocwen. Your account is currently being researched; however, it has also been assigned to our Ombudsman team and they will be in contact with you to discuss this in further detail.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I never heard of Ocwen before. My mortgage was sold to them almost six years ago. They have impressed me every step of the way ever since. Ocwen has always impressed me with their knowledgeable staff and continuous Professionalism. Great work.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Thank you, Jacques! We are delighted to read your review and we appreciate the time you took to share your Ocwen experience.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I posted two complaints on the BBB website about this horrible company. They posted a comment back asking me to call their ombudsman. I called the ombudsman and she had no idea why I was calling. There was nothing in my file about this complaint, the previous BBB complaint or all the complaints I made to various supervisors. She kept putting me on hold to look things up because obviously nothing was written down. This is the customer service you get with OCWEN. And when I told her, her company should identify themselves first before asking a homeowner to do so, she said that's the way it works.

So, you get a call from something that sounds like a call center from a foreign country and they won't say who they are until you tell them first. Which people obviously don't want to do because you are not supposed to identify yourself to someone who may be running a scam. Run from this company if your mortgage company sells your mortgage to them (that's how I got unlucky) and if you are just searching for a new company, do not choose OCWEN.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Steven, we sincerely apologize for your frustration, and we appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns. I do see that our Ombudsman team is in the process of reviewing your case, but please let us know if you need additional assistance.

Original review: May 23, 2018

During the housing crisis my mortgage was taken over by Ocwen when the previous mortgage company went under. That same housing crisis hit us hard in Florida. I am a painter, tied to construction, work was practically nonexistent and having family with kids, the finances were a constant juggling act. We got behind in the mortgage, times were very hard. Finally work stabilized, the economy was picking up and we were back on our feet. During that time Ocwen worked with me on a loan modification. It was a lot of paperwork and jumping through hoops and waiting for a decision. The whole process took 6-8 months in all but it was well worth it.

I had heard and read some not so good things about dealing with Ocwen and was a bit apprehensive, but I had to be optimistic so I started the paperwork. Now it wasn't easy and the paperwork is meticulous. I kept having to supply updated pay stubs and such during the review, it was stressful to say the least. However Ocwen was always on top of things and did what they said they would do. I got my mortgage back on track and my family still lives in the only home our kids have known, that's priceless. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience dealing with Ocwen.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Thank you, Bruce, for taking the time to share your positive experience with Ocwen! We are here to help our customers, and we're glad we were able to assist you with a modification.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Ocwen was very understanding and very attentive to my concerns. The representative kept me informed in everything that was needed to solve my needs. This is truly hard to find in companies. I would recommend Ocwen to family and friends.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Thank you, Angalis, for your feedback and recommendation! Ocwen is here to help our customers, and we're pleased to hear our representative provided you with a positive experience.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Telephone communication was about the mortgage insurance policy on **. Ocwen was informed that Farmer's Insurance company was replaced by AAA Insurance company. The Ocwen representative was professional, courteous, and helpful.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Thank you, Nora, for your positive feedback! We're happy to hear you are pleased with the service provided by our Ocwen representative.

Original review: May 20, 2018

People are always friendly and helping wherever they can. Sometimes repeat calls like in my case get a bit much but I do understand. I wish calls on the weekend would be after 10 am Eastern instead of 8:00 am.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

John, we are here to help our customers, and we appreciate the time you spent to share your experience. Ocwen takes customer feedback seriously, and we always appreciate the opportunity to improve our customer service. I did check into this to see if there was something we can do regarding the calls; unfortunately, there is not. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I asked for a waiver to a late payment that was a day late. A good job was done and handled well. I am wondering how I can mail you my check on the morning of May 9th and as of today May 19th you haven't taken it to account. Beyond frustrating as I will now get another late charge. I wish my bill were able to be due on the 15th of the month and we'd never have an issue. Please help.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Marty, thank you for your feedback. We're here to help our customers and we apologize for your frustration. Your account has been assigned to our Ombudsman team and they will be in contact with you to discuss this further.

Insufficient response received
Original review: May 19, 2018

After my Dad passed, we inherited a number of real estate holdings. We formed an LLC and placed all of the properties into it. As soon as OCWEN found out about my father's death, they changed the name on the mortgage to "Estate of..." We tried for several months, to get the name on the mortgage changed to the name of our LLC, but Ocwen kept insisting that we could not change the name on the Mortgage without my deceased father's signature.

Of all of the accounts, mortgages, etc. that my dad had, OCWEN was to only one that demanded a signature from a dead man. The only thing that OCWEN was willing to do, was to keep accepting our payments. There is no way that I will ever do business with OCWEN in the future. No way in... And then on top of that, they keep sending me emails, even though I have "Unsubscribed" several times.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Donald, we value your feedback and we sincerely apologize for your experience with Ocwen. We appreciate the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. If you need our assistance in stopping the emails you receive from Ocwen, please send a private message with the property zip and full name on account and we will contact you.

No response received
Original review: May 18, 2018

I called concerning a letter I received concerning notice of ownership transfer of your mortgage loan. Cory was very friendly and courteous and explained the letter to me. Then I received a letter stating loan # ** must be paid in full by 12/01/2018. The second letter convinced me that either YOU are not happy with the way I paid the mortgage payments or you are you would not want to loan me any money in the future. I will be glad when the note is paid off on 12/01/2018 then I will no longer have dealings with OCWEN.

Ocwen Financial Corp. response

Benny, thank you for your feedback. Ocwen is here to help our customers, and we're glad to hear Cory was able to assist you. We do, however, apologize for your experience with the second communication you received. I have forwarded this to our Ombudsman team and they will be in contact with you to discuss this further.

Ocwen Financial Corporation/Homeward Residential, Inc. expert review by Michele Lerner

The loan servicing wing of this financial company is one of the largest mortgage companies in America. The company provides lending solutions including home loans, investment property loans and reverse mortgages to residential and commercial customers.

• Online application: Interested borrowers can submit a simple form online to get started finding the right loan for their needs. Once they’ve found the right loan and applied, they can check their application status online.

• Homeowner resources: The website has several resources for homeowners and homebuyers to explore including a convenient mortgage rate comparison table that allows consumers to determine which type of mortgage will work best for them.

• Free mortgage assistance solutions: The company offers help for homeowners trying to avoid foreclosure, such as help with listing a property for sale, transferring the deed to the property in exchange for debt forgiveness and settling debt through foreclosure alternatives.

• REO property listings: The website includes listings of their real estate owned (REO) properties. Interested buyers simply input their desired area code to find and bid on homes for sale in that area.

• Commercial mortgages: Commercial mortgage services include default management and small balance portfolio management.

• Best for: first-time homebuyers, real estate investors and homeowners looking for mortgage solutions to save money on their current home.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

Ocwen Financial Corporation/Homeward Residential, Inc. Company Information

Ocwen Financial Corporation/Homeward Residential, Inc.
1988