1.00/5
Based on 81 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Navient

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

604 Navient Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Over the last few years my credit rate has been continually getting better. All my other creditors are lowering my interest rate. However, not Navient! They continue to increase my interest rates based on the fact "that they can" because I'm past the "grace" period of 10 years. In the last year my interest rate has gone from 9% to 11%! That is a 1 year time frame! And that has even been with me adding extra money onto the payments. These are student loans not credit cards! Navient should be ashamed of themselves and the way they conduct business!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I paid over 19k in student loans when I sold my house. The month prior I paid off one loan not knowing how soon I would find a new house. The next month I found a house and had to pay on that loan I had already paid off. I called a month later to ask them if I was going to receive a check back for that loan I had already paid on. I spoke to someone who told me, "Oh yes. I see that money is just sitting there." She asked me if I wanted that money distributed to different loans. I told her I would like that refunded back to me. She said, "No problem. I will send in the request. Usually takes 2-3 weeks and you'll get a letter in the mail." So I follow up 4 weeks later to see what's going on since I haven't received anything. Spoke to a guy who was confused on what I was asking about. Waited on hold for 40min until I hung up.

Called back 2 days later. I spoke to a guy who told me he would push my request through. Again saying it would be 2 weeks or so and I would get a letter in the mail. I call 3 weeks later still no response via mail or email. I find out my money was transferred to other loans that I didn't authorize. I'm a little irritated at this point so the girl tells me, "Let me have to talk to my supervisor to see if she can help at all..." I spoke to a supervisor who told me, "I'm so sorry this happened. I see it was not authorized by you. I'm getting your request for a refund and asking them to expedite it for you." She told me it would be another 2- 3 weeks. She verified my bank account number and told me it would be transferred into my account.

3 weeks go by. I call to see what's going on. I'm told now that it's too late. I can't get the refund because I haven't been making full payments between October through December and if I got the refund back it would put my loans in deferment. I talked to a supervisor who told me it would be pointless to get the refund because I would have had to pay it back anyways. I didn't have a payment due until December but I wanted to make payments during those few months anyways which I did. Then it pushed my due date out until January. He tried to tell me if they just sent them a check the money would go towards any of my loans that needed to be paid. I explained they sent individual checks for each loan and out which loan numbers they needed to pay.

That money should have came back to me. I'm not even sure where my $600 went that supposedly was split between different loans. I'm furious with this company. I originally had Sallie Mae and got transferred to this horrible company who can't train employees for ** or lie to you making you wait month after month so you can't get your own damn money back.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Negative 100. My Student loan transferred in October. Had no access to Navient yet, paid old company in October (pd extra). They have no record of the payment, sent proof multiple times, have called multiple times, always doubletalk. They have charged late fees, I have accrued interest and they are ruining my credit over something that is completely their fault. Working on getting away from them any way possible, refuse to give them another dime. I have had my loan for more than 10 years, never late, never delinquent. Would overpay for a few months and it would carry to the next payment.. This company needs to be closed down. I have been reading online about lawsuits, yet they are claiming it is unfounded. It is completely true. If you are stuck with Navient, GET OUT, any way you can!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I wish I could rate them negative stars. I usually select "quick pay" when my payments are due. TWICE after payment I sign on and see that I have overdue payments. How is that possible if I select quick pay?! First rep was actually helpful and told me there was some kind of reallocation of my money so only some of my loans got paid...WHAT?!? The second time (today) the rep said, "Well, I'm not there to see how you pay so..." I asked to speak with supervisor and he said I need to fax over proof. I said I have my email confirmation number and he said there's no way he can look it up so I have to fax it in along with my bank statement.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Can we give a less than 1 star rating. So every representative you talk to tells you something different, no one is on the same page. Anyone else have them ask to see your bank statement? Who do these people think they are?!? If they want to play games, then I figured so can I. At this point, after years of trying to come to an agreement with them, I've decided I'm not going to allow them to tell me what I can afford and I'm just going to mail them what I can afford that month. There's no escaping them. I believe they work on commission and will use any scare tactic to get you to pay what they want. I've been told that I overpaid for 6 months to get collection calls the following week saying I was behind. Called this past November and was told I didn't have to make a payment till January, but got more calls the next day saying something different. Real motivation for kids to go to college these days. They have this ** to look forward to.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Navient has been a nightmare since day one. To preface, I have never missed a payment in three years. I'll pick the two worst examples. First, I signed up for automatic payments to receive the 0.25% reduction. When I saw that there was no reduction, and in fact an increase in my minimum payment I called. They said essentially that all 4 of my variable loan interest rates magically increased by 0.25% on the same day they were supposed to decrease by 0.25%. So I saw no benefit, and in fact a detriment - prior to auto-pay, my minimum payment was $852, but every month I paid an additional $300 to chip at the principal on the very next day of my billing period (to make sure it went straight to my principal) so I gave Navient $1152/mo. They could not explain how, as soon as I signed up for auto-pay for the minimum amount magically went to $1152 exactly.

Example two, I just refinanced two days ago. Thank goodness. My first payment by my new financier is in 2 days, which is when I will be released from Navient. I get a call from someone at Navient just now asking if I am who I am, and if I could give them my account info. I asked what it was about and he said he couldn't tell me until I gave him my account info... what? You called me! Navient MAGICALLY had a better interest rate offer for me that matched my new refinanced rate. I said "oh I see, so you saw that my loans are being transferred and NOW you want to give me a reasonable rate". He said no, that this was a brand new program that just came about. Right. I have many other examples. People who can't count to ten at customer service let alone discuss accrual and different interest rate equations, passing you off to 13 different people and never getting the answers to your questions. Shady, shady, shady all around. AVOID.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I'm in the process of refinancing my loans AWAY from Navient. They claim that they only got SOME of the money, even though the new lender says that they mailed both checks on the same day (why checks are being mailed in 2018 is another problem I have!). So, most of my loans are transferred, but Navient still wants me to pay them! So they get to charge me more interest and fees while they poke around in the mail room, taking their sweet time getting that check cashed.

I'm still in the window, but c'mon. The reason I refinanced in the first place was because they charged a $400 rebate reversal fee, and I vowed it would be the last penny they ever got from me. I had been paying off extra over the past few months too. No thanks, I'll take a shorter payment plan with a company where I can SEE WHERE MY PAYMENT GOES AND KNOW I'M MAKING PROGRESS. One of my loans, I swear, even though I've been making payments, I owed more in December than I did in August, despite making every single payment. They are crooked, run away.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Navient has lowered my minimum payment twice in the past 5 years, and also put my account in deferment (without my request, I assume because they found out I was in a PhD program but chose NO MORE LOANS); each time I double what I pay them. My plan is to have my 2 loans (for a masters program) paid off in 18 month, making the total pay off time 6.5 years. My actual payment is $110 monthly. I've been paying $500. I use the website to pay my loans but have specifically chosen that my account not be saved on their website (for security reasons.) I made a payment on Dec 2nd, got a confirmation # and thought little else about it. On Dec 15th I got an e-mail from Navient regarding my annual interest amount paid (for taxes.) I logged into my account to see I was one day from being overdue on my December payment. I quickly checked my bank account only to see nothing had been withdrawn.

I called Navient (another experience in itself) and was told (after giving my confirmation #) that transaction was cancelled because the account # wasn't valid. The routing # was valid (and is longer) because they had the correct bank listed for my payment. The young lady on the phone told me I must have typed in something in error. I questioned this because I would have had to type it in twice incorrectly–she couldn't give me any other information because I chose to NOT have my information maintained on Navient's website. Here we are, another month and I've again logged on to make a payment, but it's still pending, pending, pending… I know I entered the correct information because I checked it 3 times.

I believe Navient stoops to unscrupulous practices to gouge people for as much interest as possible, particularly if one is considered a deadbeat, paying off loans early or in full. They're making it difficult to make a payment early in the month so as to not accrue more interest. I'm so pissed off, I may just withdraw money from my savings and pay off the entire loan to be done with them, although I'm SURE they'll stick me with more interest in some way, shape or form.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Do NOT use this loan service. It is absolutely horrible and does not work with your income at all. You will regret ever taking a loan from them. I promise you. Constant harassment and expect you to pay a ridiculous amount of money in one payment.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

GREED prevails at Navient. I signed up with another provider who paid off Navient and yet they still managed to come up with a balance due of $200 and change. Complained to one rep who said he would request a waiver from the Department of Education. Really? No word for three weeks. Just called and another rep reported that the request was denied. Unlikely that any request was submitted. I'm sure Navient has the ability to waive small balances but they're too greedy for that and prefer to state that they're taking orders from the Department of Education! Now they'll start adding interest on interest!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

When calling in the toll free number - answering system (robot driven) does not respond to phone prompts and disconnects if you don't tell "HER" what she wants to hear... Click. OUTRAGEOUS artificial intelligence! Wow. Called back. After 20 minutes finally got a "person" whose accent was strong! Ouch. Asked for new person... much better English! Maybe the Navient machine needs a reboot?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I wasn't aware I had signed with Navient, as my original loans were with Sallie Mae and another Federal Loan service, before catching wind that Navient had bought out Sallie Mae etc etc. Well how nice of them. These idiots started contacting me as early as Nov 2014 when I was still active in school, stating they showed I'd graduated in 2013, which was a lie. Even when I'd sent them proof of my active school status they still dumbed up stating 'that could not be verified' and they'd have to contact the school themselves. Which of course never happened. Finally around May 2015 I received an email from them "informing" me they'd "successfully" contacted my school, and "verified" blah blah blah.

Around Feb 2016 they started re-billing me, stating I had graduated (which I hadn't) and I'd tried filing for student status, which of course they'd claimed was a time-consuming progress. No student is liable for any repayments while they are active in school, and any loan company knows this. Once again, Navient played the dumb-card and insisted on working out a 'payment option plan' with me, to get my loan under repayment. I refused, that I was still an active student, and was not playing their game. Soon, I too learned how darned impossible their website is, for making any contacts, sending messages or notifications, and/or submitting documents of proof, or payment updates. They basically run you around the ringer, for weeks or months on end. And always the same excuses or lies, that you've exhausted your benefits etc.

Well within that timeframe, I had contacted the Dept of Student Loans and the Federal Student Loan commission, BOTH of whom confirmed there was no such thing as 'exhausting loan terms' or 'exhausting unemployment'. Particularly on much older, or defunct or paid loans, the latter of which applied to me, from the 1990s. Once again, Navient played the dumb card and denied or refused to accept this information, and started nonstop harassing emails and voicemails, there on out. Navigating and working around their website is a huge waste of time. Links that don't work, areas that don't function, pages that don't open, or open to some irrelevant area you don't need, uploaded documents that never reach their target (or they claim they didn't get them, because of a bug in their server.)

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I feel as if I’m a victim of Sallie Mae/Navient and what I call their predatory lending and loan servicing practices. I graduated in Dec. 2005 with a Masters Degree. I borrowed approximately $150,000 for school and now the loans total over $250,000. These were private loans. I would have been able to pay them back if I could have been employable, but that plan took a U-turn. I became sick during school, couldn’t even attend my own graduation. Sallie Mae initially put my loans into deferment with no monthly payment at all. I didn’t know it at the time, but this wasn’t a wise option. The deferment stopped and the payments went up really high.

Still, sick years later and in a wheelchair (low new job prospects at age 62), I finally missed three payments on 8 out of my 9 private student loans. Navient agreed to put me in a payment plan that they said I could pay for the remainder of the loan term (20+ years). But that wasn’t the truth as it ended a year later. So, they went up on the payments yet again. I entered another loan repayment program with Navient and made two full payments, but they wouldn’t accept the third, saying Navient (the Director, as they call the alleged person) decided not to enter me into the 18 program after all. Shouldn’t this decision have need made before the first payment was made?

Then came hurricane Irma. Navient automatically placed me into a three month deferment which I did not request, as I was still attempting to receive a longer reduced 6 month payment program. It took over a month for Navient to remove me from their illegal activity of placing me automatically into a deferment program I didn’t request. Then we come to the current day. My first payment of $1245.10 in a new 6 month program was allegedly approved. The first payment was to be made Nov. 22, 2017. However, Navient never took out the first payment and now their website I’m past due on all my Navient loans.

This is just a very brief summary of some of the predatory practices I believe I have been a victim of. Many are recorded in phone conversations. In addition, their charging of additional interest on the balance due, when an automatic payment happens to be on a weekend or holiday when the banks were closed, et. al. And who know how the interest accrued in their Irma deferment program, which I specifically turned down in recorded phone conversations. At $1245.10 per month Navient takes (that is if they would keep their word and auto debit my checking acct) over 50% of my take home salary. I can’t survive off less than $1200 per month for food, medical, utilities, rent, etc. I can’t pay my student loans back.

Moreover, Navient lies have put my only job I can get and hold down in jeopardy now. Financial integrity is very high at my present employer and I don’t want to and won’t embarrass them by being the only one in the company that can’t pay their bills. So, I am counting the days (Dec 31, 2017) before my resignation and then Navient won’t be receiving a penny. There is no social security and no disability. Absolutely nothing. An attorney is a waste of time as Navient is protected by the Trump Admin and the rest of the Federal Gov’t. This is the result of Sallie Mae’s and Navient predatory and loan and servicing programs.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I am a professional and healthcare provider who had student loans sold to Navient. They kept raising my payments to an unaffordable rates which forced me to consolidate my loans. I consolidated my loans with another company who contacted Navient for payoff amount in which they paid. Needless to say Navient did not provide the correct payoff and left a balance on 7 of student loans in which they continued to charge interest. They are an unethical company who takes advantage of people.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I've been faithfully paying on my loans for almost ten years now. I've been going hard after them for the past 3.5 years, ever since getting my first full-time job. This summer I started drastically overpaying, submitting payments of $2,000 at a time. After I began doing this, I started noticing a pretty disturbing trend: the larger the payment I post, the longer that payments stays in what they label the "pending" status. I'm no financial genius, so it took me a little while to figure out their motivation for this.

The larger the payment, the more they lose out on being able to charge me interest on my loans. So they wait FOREVER to process my payments. This kind of manipulation of the system in order to rack up as many pennies from us student loan holders is nothing short of sick. All I'm trying to do is dig my way out of my loan pit so I can actually have financial freedom for the first time since high school. Navient - and our government officials who enable them - make me absolutely disgusted. I can't wait to pay off the last of my loans (should be done by June 2019) and say goodbye to this horrible company forever.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I started paying my loan and when the hours of my job lower. I called Navient to get my payments lower. They decided to do a deferments. I did the deferment. Navient never said they were only doing certain loans on deferment. It was my understanding that the entire loan would be on deferments. Navient continue to put my loan in default. I agreed to a payment plan and when I check the account it say I was past due. My loan went from 60,000.00 to 66,000.00.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

They just took out more than they should have and never notified me about this. They took 3 times the amount and never notified me of any change. It caused a bounced check and I am out 80.00 for nothing. Cannot wait to pay off the loan.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I have been dealing with NAVIENT in regards to my student loans for a while now. Here is a list of my main problems with NAVIENT: Jan. 2017 - Without permission, they began taking $300 from my checking account. They will not rectify the amount either. Aug. 2017 - I spoke to NAVIENT and confirmed with them that the grace period for In-School Deferment was in place. I was told "Yes." I confirmed that it was being applied to my Federal Loans & Private Loans, again I was told "Yes." Looking at my checking account I see that NAVIENT continues to withdraw money from my account. I am blocking them from my account on Monday.

My Dad co-signed a very small student loan with me. Recently I became aware of the fact that NAVIENT has not only been taking the payment from me but they have been taking a second monthly payment from my Dad as well. When I set up that payment years ago, I asked if they were receiving payments from my Father and the woman I spoke with said: "No, we are not receiving payments from your Father." WHY is NAVIENT allowed to destroy our lives just because we had to get student loans to get a better job so that we can provide for our children/families??? Dealing with NAVIENT has been a complete nightmare. Rude phone calls, rude people, & very poor customer service, and just because they have my account information DOES NOT give them the right to overtake from my account. Thank God I have retained an attorney, I highly encourage everyone else to fight against them. They should not be able to conduct themselves in this manner.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I've tried multiple times to get access into the login page, but it always drops the connection as the website is taking too long to load. I've also received four e-mails from Navient, but all the links are broken with this error "This site can’t provide a secure connection open.entemail.navient.com sent an invalid response."

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

First, I have always paid my student loans on time, set myself up with automatic payments from the beginning and never really thought about the loans much except wondering when I would ever pay them off. I was able to pay off my private loan with another company early, but the one with Sallie Mae which later was transferred to Navient just seemed to be taking forever. However, I had paid a big chunk of money after I finished a year in AmeriCorps and received an education award I could use toward my loans, and that moved up my next payment date for several years. Since I was planning to volunteer for a year abroad and then go to grad school, I was fine with that. When at some point in grad school, I started getting bills again before the date of my next bill was supposed to happen, I called them, asked what the deal was, and told them I thought my date had been moved forward several years since I had paid that large amount.

I told them I was in school and couldn't pay. They apologized, changed the date, but apparently, they also switched to having my entire payments moving forward just be applied to interest. I don't remember them telling me they were going to do that and never received anything in writing about that because I would have definitely said no way. Then when the transfer to Navient happened in 2014, I received a notice that the transition would be smooth, that my automatic payment information would be transferred over, and that I didn't need to do anything. So I didn't, and I thought everything went smoothly. Last weekend, though, after my husband asked me what my student loan balance was now, I checked and again, the same amount, if not more than it had been.

So I decided I had had enough and would up my payment amount significantly to have it paid off in two years. But then I went to Navient's site and remembered I had tried to do that in the past, but they don't have an option on the site to automatically pay an additional amount each month (like my other student loan site with a much better company has). You have to go in each month if you want to make an extra payment which is really annoying when you're like me and have everything set to happen automatically so you don't have to think about it. Anyway, I got frustrated, sent a complaint, and then googled them today once I got a weird response from them. Then I found all the terrible reviews about them. I went back into my account, clicked on the payment history, and saw that since 2011, when I had to start paying on the loan again, my monthly payments have gone ENTIRELY to interest.

They have not applied a single penny toward my principal. No WONDER it's taking me forever to pay it off, because I will literally NEVER pay it off with the way they set up my payments. Without paying anything toward principal, I will continue to accrue interest, so my payments will continue to go to the never-ending interest. I'm not the most financially literate person, but I know enough that your payments should be split between interest and principal. But then I noticed that the monthly alerts they send about your payment posting don't list the breakdown between interest and principal, nor does the account summary landing page. You have to go into the payment history part which I've never thought to do since I pay the same payment every single month, so why would I need to review it? PLUS, they don't have anywhere on the site where I could fix this and designate that I want my payments applied to principal. They truly are crooks.

I can't believe they've been stealing from me this whole time. I know I should have figured this out a long time ago, but who would have thought a company that is supposed to help students who don't have rich parents get an education would take advantage of people like this? Neither of the other two companies I had student loans with did anything like this. My automatic payments were taken out each month, I never had to think about it, and one day got my notice from the one that I had paid it off, and with my grad school loans, I have already almost paid them off. How is it this loan's balance has only gone down $2,500 in 10 years (and all of that being from the AmeriCorps education award I applied toward it in 2008)? They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

In the summer of 2015 I applied for the Income Driven Repayment program through Navient. I submitted required application through their portal and sent hard copies of my proof of income to the appropriate address. I heard nothing from them for weeks. I continued to check on the status of my application through the account portal on the Navient website which indicated that I had not submitted my proof of income. Finally, I called, and wonder of wonders, they were able to locate the documents in their system after only two minutes on the phone, moreover, they were able to approve the income driven plan over the phone.

This year I had to recertify my income to continue on the plan. I received the notification of recertification in June and responded with the appropriate proof of income within the week. Today, October 4, I went to pay my student loan and noticed that the amount due for October was the same amount as what would have paid had I not recertified. I called again. At first they responded that they could not establish payment frequency (same excuse the prior year even though I had provided pay stubs and a copy of my tax returns). After a minute of typing on the part of the representative she said that she did not know why they would have indicated that they could not establish frequency since I had submitted a copy of my tax return (this negated the need to provide pay stubs which I had done in addition to the tax form).

In fact, it was the identical package of documents that was provided the year before and had been sufficient to establish me as eligible for the program. There was in fact, no issue whatsoever concerning the sufficiency of the paperwork just as there was not the prior year. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that this is deliberate, that the default position is to deny eligibility for the program despite the existence of paperwork establishing eligibility. They are acting in bad faith.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My wife and I are paying off a student loan for my son: Brendan **. Navient calls up to 6 times a day to harass us. When informed that we do not owe Navient any money their representatives tell us they can do nothing to stop the calls. When I request to speak with a supervisor I am told there none available - of course call back promise are an empty joke.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I recently paid my student loan with a bank loan (thank goodness). It all started back in 2007 when I went to Massage school in Las Vegas, NV. The company at time was Sallie Mae. During school and afterwards this company gave me difficulty. The service was ok at the time but always a language barrier because they were most of the time based in another country. I had this loan for 11 years. Almost every year the interest would go up and most of the time I would just pay minimum because it added to almost $400 a month.

The communication with Navient was not very good and I got very frustrated. I would not recommend this company to anyone. They aren't honest and don't make it easy to pay it off. Plus I had a co-signer and finally when I paid off this loan to a bank they didn't even send me a letter, just to my co-signer. I was the one paying for the loan all these years. I am glad I have finally got around to doing this to let students know that this is not a good student loan company. Don't chose Navient.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I am 40 years old and my only regret in life is having a loan with Navient. The customer service is by far the worst I have ever encountered. I'm referring to simple transaction requests or asking for simple information I could not find on the site itself. I cannot express enough how horrible my experience with that company has been. Feel free to listen to the recordings Navient!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I filed my annual IBR paperwork in a timely manner. This is my fourth of 25 years to be in the program with a goal of loan forgiveness - if indeed I live that long. I'm 64. Seems the application got lost somewhere. I started getting notices that my payment has increased and is now due so I called. Credit due to the young man who helped me for his patience with my increasing frustration. Big fail on the part of the government for the guidelines. I now have to file a forbearance form in order to not pay the $657.00 payment now due so that my account can be "brought current" and the payment can be attached to the end of my loan. Gee thanks...

This will keep my account in a status that allows me to send in my IBR form - the same one I submitted in time earlier this year - so that the process can continue without interruption. In order to be sure Navient processes my forms - forbearance and IBR - I now need to follow up with phone calls to watchdog them. This is not ok under any circumstance. Consumers are having to do entirely too much watchdogging these days. Navient dropped the ball here and I have to jump through more hoops to fix their fails.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I called Navient and spoke to someone that was initially very helpful to ask about lowering my payment. She asked all the questions, placed me on hold and then told me what my new payment would be. I explained I would have to call back to give the bank routing number and she became very short and answered with "uh yeah" and "nope" etc. I am not sure if they are on some sort of bonus system that the more "sign ups thru bank routing" they get then the more money they make? If not, it sure is what it seemed like. She seemed very bothered after she realized I couldn't give her my bank account number.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017 I put my loans into repayment in the beginning of April. They told me it would take 8-10 business days before there would be a notice. I got notice within a couple days and my payment was due 6 days later. Not okay. So I had to pay it a few days late which was fine, other than the non-stop phone calls multiple times per day.

Then, I called, paid over the phone, and my statement online said I owed money because I supposedly didn't pay enough. Paid the next two months over the phone with the same issues. Supposedly it was fixed. Paid correct amount for 2 months and had same amount due for September 12th.

All of a sudden I went online today and the amount changed online. Again. It went down less than a dollar, but is different from the statement I received dated 8/15/17 for payment on 9/12/17. So I called and they told me I owed more than both. This isn't the case, I owe that amount in October. So then they told me I owed the lowest amount, which I proceeded to tell them this has already happened and every time they do that to me, I end up owing even though I have talked to representatives several of the last 5 months.

Don't even get me started on their new automated system that hangs up on you when you can't tell it what it wants to hear. Seriously, you can call me multiple times per day when I HAVE paid but I can't even get through to talk to someone without being hung up on. The people are always nice when I call but generally don't know what they are doing and just have to put a ticket into probably nowhere. So irritating. If it wasn't for student loan forgiveness (which I am not entirely for, but will be eligible for) then I would refinance just because this company is so awful. They are worse than Sallie Mae was by far.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

In August of 2015 we were contacted by an attorney seeking payment on a Navient private school loan. It should be mentioned that we were contacted previous to this by Jefferson Capital which is wholly owned by Navient with a one time settlement offer of roughly $9000.00 but they refused to send any documentation that payments had been made. The attorney threatened us with placing a lien on our home if payment wasn't made to the tune of $21000.00 plus dollars. Given the fact that Navient and two attorneys in Florida were slapped with a class action suit for basically doing the same thing, just wondering if the attorney here acted on his own to collect $21,799.77 from us and pocketed the extra with Navient’s blessing. In any event we still have one loan with Navient and to say that they speak out of both sides of their mouths is an understatement.

You can never get the same answer to the same question from two different people at this company. Try and get on an income based payment plan on a private loan, provided all the information as requested and the bottom line is you have to let the loan go in default, then to collections and here is your plan, more like Jeff Foxworthy would say "Here's your sign". How can any financial institution recommend this? It ruins your credit, brilliant. I see in press releases that the Navient CEO has mastered not working with the consumer, their supposed "Consumer Advocate Department” should grab the latest edition of Webster's dictionary and look up what a consumer advocate is or does because it surely isn't them. Very soon I expect them to surpass cable companies as the worst people to deal with.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Where do I begin with this dysfunctional company. I can't even log into my account for months, and they give me late payment fees, then they want to call threaten, but not help you to log in and see how much you owe and breakdown of everything. They just want money over the phone. They talk over you and are just the most abrasive people. If you work in this business, you have no education or future, be nice to those who call who do and are paying off student loans. The guy said I was "making excuses" because I need to login to my account, so I can make them on my own. I'm not going to call every time I need to. He even hung up on me. MIND BLOWN.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I have had my loan (UNCHANGED) since inception, beginning payments in 2008. However, upon completing the form for Public Service Forgiveness, was told that Navient (taking over for Sallie Mae) consolidated my loans into an ineligible type? Upon calling Navient, they noted I did this in 2006 and send me unsigned forms or requests I never completed!

Once the Feds took over my loans, followed by Sallie Mae taking them back (because of a Sallie Mae error after I filed a complaint)! When will the Education Dept. intervene and hold Navient accountable? Now I have to get a Student Loan specialty attorney! P.S. I never missed a payment, in fact paying much more than the minimum... so, I am in good standing... and have ALL my records!

Navient Company Information

www.navient.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use