2. Education
  3. Student Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.77/5

Navient offers and services federal and private student loans for qualified applicants. It allows students to manage their accounts via its website, providing access to educational tools and budgeting spreadsheets. Its rates are determined by Congress, but it offers a discount for students who set up automatic payments. Borrowers can pay on the website, over the phone or by mail.

BOTTOM LINE

Navient is a federal and private student loan servicer and collector. It’s known as one of the largest federal loan servicers in the country, and borrowers can take advantage of its reduced interest rates through auto-pay.

PROS
  • Military benefits
  • User-friendly mobile app
  • Auto-pay discounts
CONS
  • 2017 lawsuit
  • Can’t pay by credit card

Top Navient Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

My loan was originally with Sallie Mae. When Navient came into the picture, they offered several repayment options, allowing one to choose the plan best suited for them. When my income fell below a certain threshold, payments were suspended until sufficient income was attained. … A… fair company!

What is Navient?

Based in Wilmington, Delaware, Navient was created in 2014 after it parted ways with Sallie Mae Bank. It currently manages over $300 million in student loans for over 12 million debtors.

The organization has a rich history, originating in 1973 as a government-sponsored enterprise called Sallie Mae. In 2004, Sallie Mae turned into a private sector organization; in 2009, the U.S. Department of Education elected Sallie Mae to receive federal loans on its behalf. The company separated into Navient and Sallie Mae in 2014.

Today, Navient helps service millions of student loans to assist students in successfully navigating their financial aid.

How does Navient work?

Navient works as a loan servicer between borrowers and their lenders (the U.S. government). Its services include sending bills and account statements, processing payments, assisting borrowers with payment plans and requesting deferment or forbearance. It also helps certify borrowers for loan forgiveness.

Students can set up accounts on its website for an easier loan management experience. Its website allows auto-pay, repayment change, loan forgiveness, due date changes, payoff time calculation and tax documentation.

Take advantage of its online interactive budgeting worksheets, financial blogs and educational tools. In addition, Navient has a mobile app for a user-friendly and convenient experience.

Navient student loan rates

Congress sets interest rates through legislation, but borrowers who sign up for autopay may be eligible to reduce their interest rate by 0.25%. For Federal Direct Student Loans disbursed between July 2020 and June 2021, the following rates are fixed:

• Direct subsidized loans and direct unsubsidized loans for undergraduate students: 2.75%
    • Direct unsubsidized loans for graduate and professional students: 4.30%
    • Direct Plus loans for parents of undergraduate students and Direct Plus loans for graduate or professional students: 5.30%

Navient FAQ

Is Navient a federal or private loan lender?
    Navient is one of the largest federal student loan servicers. It also services private student loans from various lenders.
    How do I pay my Navient loan?
    Navient acquires payments differently depending on whether you have a federal or private loan, the status of your loan and if you have multiple loans that are combined into one billing or loan group. In general, Navient accepts payments via its website by connecting your bank account, by telephone to pay by debit card or by mail to pay by check.
    Can Navient garnish wages?
    Navient can garnish wages for private student loans after they file a lawsuit and receive a judgment. For federal student loans, Navient typically will not garnish wages.
    Will Navient settle student loans?
    Navient has accepted settlement offers for private student loans. However, It will not settle a student loan in good standing.

Is Navient legit?

Navient is one of the largest and most well-known companies for managing federal and private student loans. It does offer a wide array of online services, including repayment plan options and account management. It also offers a military benefits program for active-duty and post-active service members. Borrowers can also take advantage of reduced interest rates through auto-pay.

Navient Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

So far I’m OK because I know that they are going to take care of my credit. I really hope that things where they’re supposed to re-put meaning that things get better and so does my credit. I have confidence in Lexington

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Confusing process and website was difficult to navigate. The need to go to different sites was limiting. Phone calls need to be answered before having to navigate a robo chain. I understood more when bills were mailed.

Get buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

This company has been so easy to work with and the Customer Service is exceptional. There is always someone willing to help via email or a phone call away. There are so many options to help you out when you are low on your cash flow and need help with the payments-- this place has endless glory! I am so thankful!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I have been paying IDR since 2010 loan consolidated 2018. What about my money? I am only paying off interest. The student loan operation is very unprofessional and there have been many problems paying this loan off!

Original review: April 2, 2021

This provider sent over a closed notice to the credit bureau and when I called because I started receiving bills from them they told me that that was done in error. So I waited and they further reviewed and then I was told by the client service department that I was provided the wrong information with my previous called and they don’t show any record of the account ever being closed. I had asked why. I was told by the previous representative that she shows exactly what I am talking about. That she doesn’t see it and asked them to make this right somehow. But this company is so money hungry that even though it showed me over two years ago that the account was closed they will not do anything to assist. This is the worst company I’ve ever dealt with and would not recommend them to anyone as all they care about is lining their pockets and have horrible business ethics.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I file to consolidate my student loans but they placed them on my credit report and caused my score to decline .1. Steering borrowers into forbearance instead of income-driven repayment plans. Forbearance More Costly: New Jersey claims that Navient puts profits ahead of people by allegedly steering student loan borrowers toward forbearance (pausing student loan payments) instead of income-driven repayment plans (which bases your student loan payment on discretionary income and family size). Income-Driven Repayment Better Option:

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I borrowed $$ to get my advanced degrees, expecting I would get a commensurate job. Oops! I went into low-paying State Civil Service. (I thought I could get my loans forgiven thru the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, but apparently I didn't fill out the right paperwork at the beginning...?) I got on Navient's income-based program. Without that program, they want me to pay them over $1500/month. But I was able to simply send them my tax returns to prove I couldn't afford that. In fact for a couple of years, I only had to give them permission to "link" to the IRS. But suddenly that's not good enough. Now they want me to fill out 17 pages for each of several loans (which apparently they had dis-consolidated), EACH YEAR, in order to continue with the income-based program. I called and said "You can't make me do that, it violates the Federal Paperwork Reduction Act".

I must have hit a nerve. Navient 1) hung up on me, 2) never contacted me again, 3) started harassing my brother and my two references -- telling them they don't know where to find me, even though I haven't moved or changed my phone in 20+ years -- and 4) started putting a derogatory report on my credit every couple of months FOR EACH LOAN. They have thereby driven my credit rating from "good" to "poor".

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I was using this garbage company to pay my student loans. Covid 19 struck in March of last year and a notice was put in bold print on their site "All payments have been suspended until September 2020 or until further notice". I tried to payoff my student loan but the online payments would not accept it. Months later I do a credit check and I have been marked 150 days late. Destroyed my credit. Only way I could get my credit back in place is if Navient, the money making machine, just once stops being a business for a second and own up to the message they had displayed on their website in March and remove my late payments.

I called twice and wrote a letter and mailed it in. It got me nowhere. How could you be this like this? I truly think this is illegal but I don't have the lawyer to match theirs. It's government, I'll never win. So here I am venting. If Navient were a person, I would consider finding him/her. But it's the USA, the rich get richer off of everyone's debt. We'll never win.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Navient is not honoring the President’s Student Loan Deferment during this COVID crisis. My loans x 2 meet all the requirements. At first Navient had posted on its site that all loans meeting the requirements would automatically be deferred and borrowers would receive notice by mail. This was in Sept 2020. I never received notification in mail. I called and the rep allegedly deferred mine for 2 months. I find out that they were placed under Forbearance. I called again after my next payment was due. I was told that Navient is waiting for government funding. They placed me under Forbearance again. They are now refusing to honor the Presidential Stimulus Relief, despite my loans meeting all the requirements.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

As a senior citizen with a credit report that reads on every line "PAID ON TIME NEVER LATE". I used to think creditors wanted to do the right thing. Then I co-signed a family members School Loans and was introduced to Navient. Robocalls harassing me for payment even though the student borrower had scheduled a payment. Sometimes 10 calls a day. I thought Robocalls were ILLEGAL for this type business and found out they are but no one was doing anything about it. So I called an attorney who told me they would bring action against Navient but that the first thing Navient would do is call the loan and to be prepared to write the check.

I wish now that is what I had done - taken away a paying albeit slow paying customer with a 7-3/4% interest rate loan (which seems close to loan sharking in my opinion) and left them with the non paying borrowers. I wrote my Senators and got a letter from both saying and promising nothing and boy did they deliver. Is it any wonder this generation of kids 20 to 35 embrace socialism, I would have if treated this way. I demanded Navient stop calling and said I cosigned so if the child defaults I will write you a check. Not satisfied with that, they set out to trash my credit and honestly, I don't care. An education is more important than my credit score.

I have not asked anyone for credit in over 20 years and have no intention of doing so. That said, I'm talking to an attorney later today to see what legal action may be next for Navient. And by the way, the family member has not worked since February last year and has only enough income to take care of essentials. I read some of Navient's statements about the last Law Suit where they admit nothing, claim they are being picked on and then point to their results being better than others in the industry. So that nothing they admit to gets better results? There were times I got 40 calls in a week. I don't recognize a number I block it. Then another number calls me and another and another. I must have 2 dozen numbers blocked that, when you search them on the net are Navient. There is your nothing, in my estimation anyway, could be wrong I guess.

An attorney told me how to handle it, I did and then asked them 6 times to Stop Calling Me. They did for a couple of months then started calling again. This time their call came a BAD time. We had just had to put our 16 year old dog down. The phone rang and I answered and during that Robocall pause where the computer has to rout the call back to a person (the point I normally hang up) I became furious over the interruption took the call and I UNLOADED ON THEM. I remember the caller telling me I had no reason to be upset and that just made things worse.

I mean I let them have it and called them and their business practices anything but Holy and demanded for the 3rd time that they stop using this system to call me. Guess what, the calls stopped but not long after that, they started banging my credit report. It is my opinion that they believe the end justifies the Means and have a Corporate Policy that steps on if not crosses over the line now then and perhaps lacks a moral compass in some regards. But that's just an old man's opinion. Based on my experience with this organization I'd urge borrowers go elsewhere.

Navient Company Information