Navient

Compare Student Loans

Research top Student Loans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Every single review on this horrible company is so accurate. It's scary they are still operating. After they set me up on automatic payment plan, the second payment got reversed. No calls from them, they just simply kicked me off my payment plan. It was not until several months later I figured it out. They refuse to fix their mistake and put me back on my plan. They instead insist I can afford double what my payment plan was, which is ridiculous. Occasionally you may get a nice person but for the most part they are rude and unhelpful. You get transferred at least three times before you get someone. I have made so many complaints still nothing is being done. They do not care what you have going on. They want your every penny, they can give a ** about you.

It disgusts me how they are treating people and are getting away with. I have been trying to find a new lender to take over the loan. Ironically to them I do not make enough and have too big of student loans. Yet NAVIENT deems I can afford their ridiculous payments. My once amazing credit score is now being dragged through the mud. The least I can do is make sure no one else goes through them!

I sent a payment via the mail (the only way they will accept payment from me in Canada) over 3 weeks ago. I received a notification I may be charged a late fee a week ago since I knew I had made payment. I just received a notification again that my payment has still not been processed. Certainly something must be wrong with the way Navient works. I suggest an overhaul of the processing system so that payments from a country other than the US (many foreign students attend US schools and require loans) can be made expeditiously. I have sought a remedy through the Federal Student Aid website. On the other hand, kudos to Nelnet. Nelnet is a company that knows how to deal with a paying borrower.

I find the Navient website to be unhelpful. They pretend to provide monthly statements in digital format but both formats are bad. When I click on "PDF" I get a. do file which cannot be opened on a Mac without installing an unsecured app which is not available in the App store. When I click on "IMG" I get a PNG file which puts 3 pages into one minuscule PNG file. When I launch InDesign and place the PNG file, and spend 10 minutes cropping, resizing, and copying and cropping and resizing, I get a 3-page document - the content is blurry. There is no way to get a printed statement, and no way to talk to a human being, at least on the weekend. I can only do this on the weekend because I have a day job which does not give me time during Monday-Friday business hours.

When I click on a button on the Navient website, inviting me to "take a survey", I am directed to a promotional video in which Navient brags about how great they are, which is the opposite of the truth. I wonder if Navient is deliberately making it hard for borrowers to get information (about their OWN account) as a way to cover up unscrupulous behavior: inaccurate record-keeping, overcharging, etc. I believe this company should be dissolved and all of their accounts should be transferred to an honest, non-profit, publicly owned loan servicer.

I consolidated my loans. They did not send all of my loans to the consolidation servicer. They hid them, then turned them over to a collection company. They ruined my credit and now the collection company takes my income tax refund each year (for the last 3 yrs) despite me trying to pay off the loans. They add thousands of dollars of attorney fees and handling fees. I only owes 1500 on one loan and now it is over 10k. I tried going through the omnibusmen but they were no help either.

Have been enrolled in auto-pay forever, have even been making extra payments. In December, we entirely paid off one large loan, and so our monthly payment had been reduced. Now we logged in tonight to find that all of our accounts were showing past due amounts, despite the auto-payment being taken out on time, as usual. Additionally, the loan we paid off in December had re-appeared as having a balance again, despite it having been shown as completely paid off for the past two months. So either the information was incorrect in December, and we still owe them money, or the information is incorrect now, and the loan is paid off as we thought it was.

All of the reports of late payments are false, or auto-pay failed, because we were enrolled in auto-pay for all of our accounts, had more than adequate funds in those accounts, and received emails saying those auto-payments were taken out, and it shows up on Navient as those auto-payments having been processed. I don't care whether Navient was incorrect before, or if they are incorrect now - the point is, at some point they had incorrect information on my accounts, and I've taken action based on this incorrect information. Even the couple hours researching this tonight, on a work night, is quite costly. Navient processes over $300B in student loans… there should be ZERO room for accounting errors like this. Everything should be fully automated and mistake-proofed, because millions of people are relying on the accuracy of this information in formulating their family budgets, in managing their credit, in making purchasing decisions.

We are currently pre-approved to purchase a home, and depending on if Navient's errors result in effects on our credit report, it could seriously jeopardize our ability to close on a mortgage. That is some real and serious damage we could suffer due to Navient not doing their due diligence to ensure that the information they are reporting out on our account balances are accurate. That's in addition to the real and serious damage that they have already done to my mental health with worrying about this situation, staying up late writing things like this, rather than resting well for work. I would expect so much more from an organization with such an important role. I am gravely disappointed in this company. I would recommend steering clear from them no matter what, however you can. A company with this many assets under management, you would expect much more of a professional outfit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Navient is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. They should not be in business! I had 4 student loans total, 2 stayed with Navient and the other 2 went to Suntrust in which I pay. Navient is reporting 4 bad derogatory loans on all 3 of my credit reports and 2 in good standing. I have called to have them remove the 4 bad accounts that they put on my credit and no one will help. I get the run around. I don't get answers and every one of the reps is rude and mouthy to me including managers. My next step is hiring a attorney. It is ridiculous that this company destroys peoples credit for no logical reason. The manager I spoke to today told me he was confused and got mad at me for questioning why they added two loans to my credit. He said I just don't understand. I'm getting nowhere with this company.

I lost my job and don't have any income. This is the 2nd time I have been laid off. I have used my forbearance and deferment for when I got out of school and when I lost my job the first time. I have never missed a payment and overpay on the loan each month, but when I called asking for help to suspend the payments for 6 months to a year while I look for a job, the answer was no. Actually, their customer service was so rude. They yelled at me and asked that I stop asking ridiculous questions that only make us speak in circles. My "ridiculous" question was how do I pay a loan when I don't have any income.

I find it such poor practice to not have an ongoing solution for clients that lose their income sources. There shouldn't be a cap or limit because people lose their jobs often throughout their life. The only option Navient left for me was to find a job in the next few weeks (obviously that is my top goal) or I will end up defaulting on the loans. Side note: their customer service is one of the rudest I have ever encountered. This is very sad.

9 auto generated calls. When given the #, they are not open. When you call the auto-generated voice comes on telling you that it is new and will "learn" about you and how better to serve you. I would never have used them but they bought my student loans. Their average is 1 star. It should be none.

They told me according to my MPN I maxed out 48 months of in-school deferment. When I checked my MPN's there was no mention of a time frame of in-school deferment. This is now breaching my contracts because they are not living up to Sallie Mae standards as they should. In addition my co-signer passed they did not release her from my loan. They forced me into deferment not telling me about other payment options, and told me to reconsolidate my loans, and never sent all of them to the new lender. 90% of my loans are still sitting on my credit report under Navient. They are rude, and tricky, and needs to be shut down, and give us our aid money back while they are at it.

How is a company allowed to operate like this? I have had loans through Sallie Mae/Navient and have yet to come up with a viable and affordable solution to pay these loans. These people are willing to make you live in a cardboard box as long as they get their money. Truly awful and unethical the amount of money they are making in the interest of these loans as they make it impossible to pay them off. Not to mention the robocalling/harassing phone calls!!

Literally just had an employee tell me I could not opt into IBR plan because too much time had lapsed since I was last enrolled and now I have to wait until August of 2018 to re-enroll! So what happens when I can't afford the payments they are asking?! (on top of the $462 worth of payments they are already getting on other loans) They are reported as late and will continue to be reported late for a year and a half - essentially RUINING my credit history. This is INSANE!! I would love to file a lawsuit - this company is getting away with highway robbery and it needs to end.

I called Navient to lower my student loan payment and they said I had to wait until a payment was due to get it lowered. So I call back the next month to find out they hiked my interest rate so I was basically fighting to keep my loan payment at what it was, instead of the $30 more amount. Unreal. Then because my loan is under $30,000 and under 5 years long, they said they couldn't lower it at all. I absolutely feel they hiked my interest because they KNEW I was trying to lower the payment. Conveniently, if I got the interest rate reduced, it would go back to being the payment I had before. But I can't. I hope this lawsuit hits Navient hard and they are under high scrutiny to make sure no one else is verbally and emotionally abused by them.

I changed banks and had to update my new account information. I called three different times and it was never done. I am on the phone now as we speak waiting for a supervisor for 26 minutes and counting. The level of service is the worst I have ever seen by any company in my life. The first time it was set up wrong and the person had to call me back, and still didn't do it correctly.

Navient has not had my loan since April of 2013. I moved it to fed loans and now they are calling me, sending me bills. Even on my credit report it shows that it closed with them and open with Fed Loans so why or how can they call me and send me bills???

Navient Student Loan Service is the worst and the lowest of the low company to deal with student loan. It is equally sad that our government permit such hideous practice to destroy hard working people who in good faith have tried to live up to their commitment. Where is the faith and strength to continue paying, when your monthly payment is $327 and only $15 (under $50.00) is applied to the principal? How can one muscle up the strength and encouragement to make monthly payment when the total amount consolidated was $34,000.00 & one have been making monthly payment of $327 ($3924 per yr) x 4yrs = $1596.00 and your balance is $35,000 still!?

Something is terribly wrong with this scam that our government & elected officials are not and failing to address. Oh & get this my obligation will be fulfilled in 2032 for the total of $64,000.00. Shouldn't one have & say in who should service their loan. N-nasty A-abuse of power V-void-empty I-inconsiderate E-egotistical N - nasty again T - trickery. Elected Officials step up and terminate this hideous scam of a company. It is destroying good people!

I took out approximately 60k and blinked and it turned into 100k. I was scammed into taking interest only payments because I couldn't afford to do anything else? They wanted 500-1300/mo. Who can pay this? I was on phone 3 hours trying to find solutions. Once again they tried to sell me forbearance. I don't qualify for any help whatsoever. I am not enough of a burden on society and now what? I'll be dead and in default. "Solutions for 'my' success". What a joke. Solutions for THEIR success, not yours or mine. I pray to God everyday that the lawsuit against this monster is successful and millions of people including myself get their day... THEIR payback for the pain, suffering and ruining of lives THEY have caused with their unethical practices.

My account is in forbearance for those months which they reported me late 90 days, Navient "claims" they cannot remove because the information is accurate. Attempted a goodwill request, speaking with customer service and advocate office and still they are "required" to report. Okay but aren't they also required to follow the statutes of the FTC and the FCR and the HEA and report current and updated information to the CB. Who regulates these companies. Very frustrating as there is no recourse - they review your file 15 minutes, determine it's accurate and RUIN your credit for 7 years! I hope this lawsuit against Navient puts the hurt to them by sticking them with fines for all the complaints they receive about cheating their customers.

The last large payment I made to Sallie Mae was to pay off one of 2 loans. I was adamant. I only wanted 1 balance left since they were charging me interest at 5.3%. I later filed chapter 13. 2-3 months later it was transferred to Navient. The Bankruptcy verifies my student loan balance remaining was $4,624.46. During that time I returned to school full time on grants and scholarships.

After completing school and the chapter 13, I was sent a notice that I had two separate balances, both charging interest. When I contacted them about getting it corrected, they hesitated. I had my school send proof of times attended. I had my trustee send proof of amount due. They are stalling and I am preparing to dispute at the suggestion of my attorney. I am still getting statements, after asking them to correct it showing 2 different loans without the correct balance, even after faxing proof from my trustee, the information they have is incorrect. I want to be able to resolve this, but it seems as though they are delaying getting the corrections made.

I became a Navient customer because I had Sallie Mae Loans and I have federal loans that are managed by Navient. My federal loan payments were over $750 a month for 20 years, and I just couldn't pay that. After going back and forth with them, I was told that my best option would be IBR. So I filled out the paperwork and they sent me the amount I should pay. A few weeks ago, I was informed (not by Navient) that my loans will continue to increase in amount and I'll be responsible for interest after 20 years (which will easily be 75k+), so now, my loan is higher than it was, I can't pay what they say I should to cover the interest, and I was never informed of what going on the IBR plan would do. I basically threw money away to owe more. I'm devastated.

My normal payment date is the 15th of each month. For some reason this company took the payment on the 2/13. I called and told them it was the wrong day and they gladly changed it back. Good... Wrong... They scheduled another payment for 2/15. You would think common sense would kick in and say "Hey... He just paid one today, the next one should be due in a month." So I called and they said they can't stop it but call my bank to stop it. My bank charges $31 to stop a payment. I'm not paying for their screw up.

NAVIENT - READ THIS! So NAVIENT says we owe 15 thousand dollars on a Loan from 2007 for my daughter... My daughter would have been 3 years old at that time. I'm not sure where they get their information from but I have tried to call them with no successful call back just a call back from a phony IRS agency saying she owes Taxes. OMG, Somehow I am starting to think these two are linked in a huge scam. THE IRS WILL NEVER CALL YOU. How do I get rid of this bogus bill?

This loan company can't seem to do anything right or in its entirety the first time. In practically every instance that I need to send in filled-out forms or documentation, they tell me the wrong thing. Or I mail them what's required and it doesn't get processed in a timely way or maybe overlooked. So I get scary, demanding notices, as if I hadn't complied with them at all. Also, their reps don't always know how Navient forms are supposed to be filled out. So naturally they don't suffice, requiring me to do them all over again. I haven't dealt with them online. I don't know if that would help, but in doing so by mail, I have to buy postage stamp after postage stamp to send them what they need. And things get dragged out for weeks, months. Just unreal.

If the name Navient was not associated with Students loans I would think this is a scam. Not that the government ever was involved in any scam. Why out of the Blue no Student Name or Loan Number comes out with a Bill and Tax form. Exchanging critical information or providing information on myself or anyone in my family could create room for a scam. So, unless the connection is made through the source of the Loan where it originated in the University or School, then I may think on providing more information.

I am an ex-Sallie Mae student-loan customer whose loans have been transferred to Navient. Navient refuses to acknowledge me as their customer. I don't know if it's because I am a victim of education scam(s). I was notified by a staff member of the federal agency U.S. Dept of Education, via phone call, that I was a victim of education scam(s), after they received an alert of tampering of my student-loan file. The scam went so far as to try to block me from attending additional college courses under federal aid to obtain my master's.

Next, they discovered that my employment salary history was actually from federal grants under the classification of Title 1 funding. It was then that my employer would no longer acknowledge as an education employee of theirs. Somehow, by error they said, my position was given to someone else. [Instead of me, their bonafide staff member, who had founded the position and created the curricula for the education program to be used at the given schooling district.]

Needless to say -- let's forget about me receiving a teacher loan forgiveness of student-loan debt for years of service teaching in a bonafide Title 1 schooling district for the required length of time for loans to have been forgiven; because of no verification my education employer and former schools that I attended as a child of G&T. Now, whenever, I speak to Navient they refer to me to speak to Department of Education.

I have never had a positive experience with Navient. Here is just the most recent issue: My husband and I recently realized we were both eligible for the RePAYE program, which would decrease our payments each month significantly from what we're paying on our other income based repayment plans. When he called Navient to ask about the status of our Dep. of Education student loan. gov submissions, the lady on the phone said Navient doesn't participate in the RePAYE program! This was confusing, since, they are directly servicing our loans from the government, and we applied to the program through studentloans.gov and they HAVE to participate in the program... but this woman insisted, three times, that Navient did not participate in that program, and they were happy to just recalculate our payments on the plan we were ALREADY ON.

So we called studentloans.gov, who said that YES - NAVIENT DOES AND MUST participate in ALL of the Income Based Repayment Plans, and they had no idea why Navient would say that they didn't. WTF?! NAVIENT STRAIGHT LIED TO US...rudely, and interruptingly, might I add. We will now be calling them every day to ensure our plan-switches are processed and processed in a timely manner.

I owe $108,000 on my student loan and I have contacted Navient on many occasions since 2011 to discuss financial hardship. Twice my loan was placed in forbearance, while interested accrued. Finally today I was approved for an income-based repayment plan that reduced my payments from $608 to $277. Prior to today I was always told that I did not qualify for any other repayment plan and that a forbearance was my only option. Doing the math based upon my current income I have overpaid on my student loans around $18,000 since 2011. This company is greedy and does not have the best interest of the borrower in mind. I have borrowed from my retirement twice in pay back this loan.

Class action lawsuit was filed if you want to get onboard. They are sending me bills and already sold my debt to a third party company within two weeks. I had no idea if it was a scam because it seemed shady. Looks like it is a scam but in a gray area. Contacted me only in E-mail and now the new company is contacting me.

I signed up to received income based repayment plan. I received a letter indicating they got my application. Now I just received the new invoice, instead of $200 a month as agreed on. I am being billed $700 a month. I have worked on this loan many times since 2009 to get the income based repayment plan, I recognize I will be paying for the rest of my life, however I do not have $700 a month. I can't get anyone to help me.

I went on their website to pay in full the remaining balance on my son's student loans. There were 2 consolidation loans listed, one with a balance of $3900, and the second of $1200. I clicked to make a payment on the loan listed as, 1-01, and made the payment. I then tried to go back and make what I thought was the final payment on the loan listed as, 1-02. The system showed no balance and would let me make another payment. I called today, spoke with "John" (ha-ha), ID #**, and asked why I couldn't get the payment to come up for the other a loan. After an almost 40 minute call, I found that the payment I made 2 days ago was SPREAD OUT between the 2 loans and both still have balances due. I thought at least #1 would have been wiped out but NO.

Their website is deceiving and I feel sorry for students who are trying to get their loans paid down. I was paying almost double the required minimum but $5200 was years away from being paid off. I feel Navient's website is deliberately misleading account holders and they should be made to clean it up and make it more transparent to users. Their dealings are almost fraudulent. It should be noted that I was very hard on the service representative, and it isn't his fault, but he's forced to represent a bad manager.

I've been paying loans that were formerly under Sallie Mae since 1997. I can't put into words how much of a boat anchor they've been on my life. Yes, I finished my degrees. Yes I'm working, but have had to go through periods of unemployment and underemployment, and ended up taking the forbearances--where they stop payments but keep adding interest. I honestly believe they want you to do that as it keeps stretching out your payments. What had been $256 a month is now $440, and what should have been done literally next month now is looking to go on to 2023.

What prompts me to write is I took one last forbearance over the summer. In August I started paying again but my payment due dates were a month out. I was paying in August when it said the bill was due in late September. I assumed I'd started paying too early and in October waited and paid my bill November 1st--it wasn't due until the 22nd and I have the statements to back this up.

Things went normally until today, when I got an e-mail from them saying I was past due on my account, and when I checked it said I owed double my monthly payment. I sent e-mails and got no replies, and called; after a half hour I got through to a woman with a heavy Filipino accent who couldn't pronounce my name, and kept saying "You missed your October payment." I literally had to shout to get her to stop repeating that, and she wouldn't listen when I told her I had no payment due. I hung up after another ten minutes of trying to reach a supervisor.

I dug through Navient's website. You actually have to follow a link to the "old" Sallie Mae website to get your statements. I checked copies and everything said I wasn't behind on payments--nothing due. I finally found a "letter" which I don't recall getting but never mind, on January 14th that said "We'd found your payment date was advanced by one month in error. We fixed it. Your account is in good standing."

Ah-ha, but honestly it reads like they screwed up, and are socking me with an extra payment with no notice they were assessing it, and honestly they could have advanced my ending payment by a month rather than come at me like I was a deadbeat. So I have no case number, no person to contact, no reference, just a Filipina woman I chewed out on the phone and two replies to e-mails that said "Thanks for contacting us." It makes me wonder how legal this is. I was paying on the terms stated, and what recourse I have, since they want to limit you to a fairly useless website. And what's to stop them from deciding later on I didn't pay enough after a previous deferment and bam--more money? Avoid if you haven't taken out loans. Get out if you can.

Unable to voluntarily increase monthly amount paid without permanently restructuring loan. Ridiculous. This company has always been difficult to deal with and had poor customer service. I never mind customer service agents speaking English as a second language. I do mind all customer service being outsourced and NO common sense.

Navient Company Profile