1.02/5

647 Navient Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I contacted Navient by phone about paying off the smallest of the two consolidated loans in its entirety and making a regular payment on the larger loan ahead of the forbearance date in November. After going through 3 levels of account representatives I was assured that my payment would apply to the smallest of the two consolidated loans and pay it off in full. That would have saved me approximately $45 per month which I could have applied to the principal on the larger loan. I later learned that they applied the amount to the largest loan so I still have two consolidated loans with Navient. I believe Navient deliberately misdirecting my payments in order to prevent me from paying off the smaller of the two consolidated loans. When I contacted them by phone on 10/15/2018 and described the problem, the representative was unresponsive. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was put on hold and eventually had to hang up after about 30 minutes.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I am the co-signer on a loan taken out by my niece. The loan is paid by automatic deduction, yet they keep calling me saying the loan is not being paid. I am getting about 5-6 calls a day from them and am tired of it.

Get expert buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I took out a student loan for about $7600 in 2007. I have been making payments on this loan for about 10 years now. The payments that I've made total over 11,000 but my principal balance has gone down by only $2,000. They keep raising the interest rate so the amount of your loan attributed to the principal never gets higher. They don't inform you when the interest goes up. You have to remember to log in and check if it's gone up. They also don't let you know there may be a payment plan available that will get you out of debt sooner.

I downloaded my entire loan history going back to the disbursement of the loans in 2007. In 2009, 2010, 2011 and some of 2012, the entire payment went toward interest. I contacted the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau about Navient. I am going to review the payment history in relationship to the interest rate increases and see if they charged the right amount of interest. I also refinanced this loan at 5% instead of the 11.5% Navient is charging. I do not believe that I would ever get this loan paid off if I didn't refinance so the interest rate keeps going up.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

When the interest rate on my private loan from Navient went up to 10.35%, I knew I had to refinance. In order to do so, my new lender requested a 30 day payoff statement from Navient. Apparently this has to be generated with a phone call and is not available online. When I called, the woman I spoke to told me it would be available within a few minutes in my email. Perfect! Only problem was that I never got it. Called again and spoke to a man who told me this information was incorrect and that I would get it in 24-48 hours in my inbox, not my email. Perfect! Only problem is I didn't get it after 2, 3, 4 days.

Called again and spoke to a woman who was very apologetic and she said she'd take care of it right away for me. Went over the account number, made sure it was the correct one, and told me I'd be receiving it the next day. Next day, I got an email saying a document was available. Perfect! Only problem was that it was for the wrong loan! Not even close to the same one and not a private loan. Just called for the fourth time, told the woman my situation, and was put on hold for 30 minutes before she came back and told me it was all set and I'd get it tomorrow. Will I? Who knows at this point, but with nearly $5 interest accruing by the day on this ridiculous, credit card-like level loan, I'm almost convinced this is a conspiracy to get as much interest out of me because they know I'm refinancing. Very displeased with this company and their robbery. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

They're predatory and absolutely unhelpful. You're better off researching ways of taking care of your loans than reaching out to them. They push forbearance on you so the loan increases. Terrible TERRIBLE company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Sallie Mae changed their name to Navient so they could extort more money from students all over the nation. Their 'Debt Collectors' are idiots who do Navient's Dirty-Work. I called my attorney and lo and behold, as soon as I mentioned Navient's Vice President they immediately started laughing and told me to ignore him. Since Navient is a well-known scammer, don't think they can sue you. If they send you one of those 'Litigation Reviews', crumble it up and throw it away. I've had friends who were threatened by these morons and guess what? No one got sued. If you want to give them some headaches, do what Lawyers suggest to do when it comes to Debt-Collectors from Navient. Send them a certified letter asking to validate every cent that you owe.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Navient is the worse company ever and since they took over from Sallie Mae it’s been nothing but HELL. Their customer service is the worse and they don’t are not willing to help the customers. Stay away from this company!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

After graduating high school in 2016, my parents convinced me to try one semester. Unfortunately I didn't have the money, and I needed exactly $1,200. I didn't enjoy college, and backed out. Leaving me with a loan of $1,256 including interest. 6 Months passed, and it was time to pay my loan off. Over the phone I agreed to pay $314/ month for 4 months (starting in April 2017, and ending July 2017). Payments were made in full and on-time, and Navient and I were done. The story doesn't end there though.

Almost a year later in March of 2018, I received a call from Capital One saying they were suspending my card due to multiple bad credit reports on my account. Checked my credit score, which was a whopping 325, and I can't even move out now due to my credit. I had several bad credit reports from Navient over the span of the year after I paid my loan off in full. Immediately I decided to call them absolutely furious, because it literally maked no sense.

According to Navient I still owed them a magical number of $564 for literally no reason. I've pulled the loan documents from the school ($1,200/$1,256 with interest). I still have my four letters from Navient (charging me $314 each totaling to my loan of $1,256). I also have four bank statements of me paying them the $314/ month on-time for four months. Long story short, Navient ruined my credit score, for some reason I still owe them $564, and I have multiple forms of proof stating I should be done with this "fantastic" company, also they're customer service is terrible, and wouldn't tell me where the elusive $564 came from.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

In June of 2010 I co-sign for a student loan in my daughter's name. For the past 8 years if she was so much as a day to 3 days behind Navient would call me in addition to sending a paper bill through the mail to my address. With eight full years of payments made and only three payments left my daughter mistakenly skipped a payment. I was never notified with a phone call or a paper correspondence through the mail. I never authorized nor was I made aware that they would no longer be calling me that they would send one correspondence to an old email address that went to the spam file.

Their past practices of 8 years was always to call and I always paid with only $400 left on the entire student loan bill in which I was more than able to pay they reported me to the credit bureaus and over 100 points was taking off of my credit score with never even speaking to me on the phone. When my Discover card set me notification for a bill that was passed due and I called and paid the balance off they treated me, as if I was a derelict. And they refuse to remove this from my credit report even after I explained to them I never received notification or a phone call as their past practices have been for 8 years.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Being disabled and living on SSDI is not by choice. Life and medical circumstances can be challenging to our lives in many ways, many times. Navient repeatedly denied receiving any forms submitted, repeatedly. Forms submitted requiring signature? The office stated they had no idea who signed but they did not receive. I had faxed, emails, and sent certified mail all necessary forms.

It appears Navient’s intention was to default the loan in a manner allowing funds paid to be retained by the company... Even the history on my credit report is sporadic and inconsistent. My credit report shows regular payment, then months missed, then payments made, then instant 120 day past due. Navient essentially refused to accept anything I submitted. Later I learned how I had been misdirected or counseled incorrectly initially also.

I hope and pray a lawsuit occurs in Texas as in several other states now. It seems the same negative and illegal actions were performed repeatedly. My credit is ruined solely by Navient’s incorrect and manipulated reporting. Because the company has continued changing business names, I have continued finding contact impossible. Beginning in January 2018 Navient started deducting 300 per month from my predetermined living expense amount SSDI check per a change and allowance by our President, if I understand correctly.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Navient is absolutely criminal. I have spent the last 4 1/2 years paying all of my monthly payments on time and always over the minimum payment due. My interest rate has consistently increased during the life of my loan without any notification ever. And by last month it was over 12%. I have made several calls to Navient regarding my interest rate increase over the years, and every time I have gotten the same rehearsed useless answers. The customer service is horrific and useless, and really makes you feel helpless.

I decided last month to finally get rid of Navient and refinance my student loans with College Ave, and that was probably the best thing I could've done for myself. They were quick with responses, clear with details, and so easy to work with. I am now paying a much more reasonable amount each month, with a fixed 5.4% interest rate. If you are looking into student loans, please do not make the same mistake I did. Navient is honestly one of the worst companies and will ruin your life if you let them. I strongly advise looking elsewhere if you are considering taking out student loans.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

If I could give Navient 1/2 a star I would. My issue with this company stems from my monthly payment for July 2018. My payments are due on the 27th of every month. I scheduled my payment through my bank's bill payment system on July 27. However, by August 1 or 2 I realized that my account showed a past due balance. I called their customer service and a lady I spoke with was quite presumptuous and condescending. But I stuck it out and made my case that I don't understand why it should take Navient so much time to update my account when other accounts I paid through my bank's bill pay on that same August 27 had updated already. The young lady convinced me that it can take up to 4 business days for payments to update. I was not convinced but I ended the call.

On August 6, my account still showed a past due balance so I called again. This time I was fuming at the rep but she was surprisingly calm and effective. She found out that my payment was in a SUSPENSE ACCOUNT; that the payment had been sent to the wrong address. She promised me it will take a few days to correct the mishap. Another week goes by, nothing happens, then another week goes by. So I decided to schedule my August payment on Navient's website. The payment was scheduled for August 24, an amount of $252.47 then my July payment was finally processed on August 31. What really pissed me off is Navient applied ALL of my August payment as interests and $161 of the July payment as interests. This means I paid a total of $413 in interests for two months when I should be paying approximately $300 in interests for two months.

I called the company on 9/5/18 to have it resolved. I requested to speak with a supervisor. A guy gave me his name as James **. This guy basically told me there was NOTHING Navient could do. I'd asked him to adjust my July payment to the date the money got to a "different" address since it was obvious that the money was not with me or I could not make the payment. He wanted to tell me he was sorry blah blah blah. I told him point blank that I don't need an apology, I needed the issue fixed so that I'm not made to pay over $100 extra in interests.

This James ** guy basically insulted my intelligence by saying I don't understand what he was telling me. I asked to speak with his boss or someone who can fix my problem and this guy continued to give me a runaround. Finally he said he will send a note to the treasury department to have someone look at it but there was no guarantee that my request could be honored. So I asked him to call that someone in the treasury so that it would be a three way call so that we can resolve the issue. James ** again told me that is not how things are done. REALLY? I cannot possibly narrate my whole encounter here because of how long it was but in a nutshell, Navient SUCKS and I'm not surprised it has so many lawsuits.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I am down to my last three payments and have made the same payments for roughly 10 years. When I logged into my account today, the total due was nearly double what I've been paying. I just called to find out why? Couldn't understand anything or get any clear information. After roughly an hour on the phone -- still no clue as to why?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

This company replaced Sallie Mae so I had no say in choosing it. This company has the worst business ethics that I’ve ever dealt with. They are constantly changing the set pay amount, you look and all of a sudden you have a late notice. While no indication, notification or reason of why/when the change is happening. Lack of communication and unethical business practices run rampant. My suggestion to anyone would be to avoid Navient at all cost!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

More difficult to work with than Sallie Mae. Calls are made to an overseas service, service workers are difficult to understand and have yet to understand my requests without several repeats. Payments are higher with Navient than with Sallie Mae. Be cautious... whenever they reassure me none of my requests affect my credit rating - my score takes a little.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I've been with Navient, before they became Navient when they were Sallie Mae. Lately this year I've had nothing but problems with my loan and bad customer service with this loan company. I made a mistake in my life by getting this loan, I've come to accept that and I've owned up to my responsibility by make my payment on time for the past 4 years but, unfortunately I have low income and cannot survive and make the original payments of 215.00 payments. So I was accepted into the rate reduction program and set up auto payment and haven't missed a payment. Fast forwarding to May of 2018 I called in to do my financial so that I could continue on this rate program. I was advised it wasn't available at this time, and that to call back at the end of June when my program was done to set it back up. I called back after my "last payment in the rate program."

Also, they advised me I wouldn't have to do my financial again since it was already done. They advised me at that time again it was "available." After asking why they wouldn't give me an explanation. Then, they proceeded to say I don't have a payment due till Sept 2018. I questions how was that and that I didn't want this to affect my credit when in fact a payment would be due... I called back a couple times and they told me the same thing so I took their word. So, I called back today because I received an email that said I have a payment of 156.00 due Sept 5th. I called because I wanted to see about changing the due date, because for the past couple years I was used to the payment Auto Drafting at the end of the month, which is financial better for me.

Spoke with a lady in the rate reduction program, and she then advised me that my payments in Oct will increase to 215.00. I advised her of all the info above and that I should be on the rate program, advised her that financial I cannot make those payments. She told me my type of "loan" isn't eligible when I've had the same loan all these years! I'm very upset because I've worked so hard to make sure Navient is getting paid and that I don't let this affect my credit. Now, I asked to speak to manager and she didn't have any sympathy nor empathy to my situation.

I CANNOT believe it's not 1 program out there that they have in place to help people that want to make payments but need assistance! All these years of making a payment gone down the drain because a company won't assist. She told me that the lender is not obligated to assistance people in need. I'm HIGHLY frustrated, and if I had the money to get out this loan this would be they would be my first debt I would pay off. And this is the main reason why I'm so scared to return back to school because I hate to be put in a situation like this where there is ZERO help, ZERO sympathy! My hopes in writing this is for the right person to see my pain and frustration and either help in any way or something be done about this company. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company is horrible. They have hardly any payment options, and I refuse to use a bank account. They use to offer credit card payments, with an enormous fee, but they got rid of that option. They seem like a very greedy company and very inconvenient. It's pretty sad when a collection agency is easier to work with.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have documents from bank payoff and check copies. Navient received check and applied 3 days later after bank disbursed check. They are telling me 10 years later that there was a 55 (1st girl) principal balance. I talked to a supervisor which then said it wasn't 55. It was 240. Now balance is over 400 from March 2018. I called again. They said no one can help me because the idiot manager put notes and she supposedly is giving me a deal. All 3 persons told me that if this has happening to them they would be very upset but they could not help me.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Terrible company. I have been trying to get the school to refund my loan for years, that’s a whole other battle over lost emails, paperwork, the person I was dealing with left and nothing can be retrieved. I recently had my loan put into forbearance by Navient because the school is finally starting to work with me, but since then Navient decided to send credit bureaus my loan is delinquent by 90-119 days, that dropped my TransUnion 78 points and my Equifax 50 point. If you need assistance with a school loan by all means do not use this company. They are not out to help you at all. I have in the past tried to get the school and Navient to speak to each other with no success, I just wanted the school to confirm to Navient that I am trying to work this out. To give an idea what Navient has done to my score I was on the closer side of 700’s. Now one of my scores is 545 and the other is around 575. Navient is a life destroyer. DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was basically "encouraged' into doing their auto pay since I had delinquent payments. Okay fine, I'm cool with that. One year later, it's just not working. I need the flexibility of a non auto draft. So I turn off auto pay. At first they stopped, then the auto draft started again. Okay, it was unexpected, but our budget could cover it. I turn it off again. It happens again. I tell them on a call to stop it. It happens again. I send an email and turn it off again on my online profile with them. It happens again, this time overdrafting our account and taking our grocery money. I send an email and yet again have to click off autodraft on the page. I get an email confirming this. They did it again, and overdrafted us... again. I go and turn off autodraft one more time.

A week after overdrafting us they do a "retry payment." Overdrafting us once more. I finally called our bank and filed a claim with them. Our money was returned, the overdraft canceled, and we now have a stop payment for Navient. I will be sending them money orders from now on, as they can't be trusted with our account. And don't even get me started on refusing to work with me for income based plans. That would be a whole extra post...

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I received an unwanted marketing text blast. I called a company asking very nicely for support and an explanation in their process for text blasts. A very rude and defensively angry man, named Alan, said the best he could do was mark my name for removal. I am on the do not call list and would like to know who was responsible for making sure those numbers did not get included in their text blasts. He said it was him and he hung up on me. What good is the DNC list if business people like this are able to ignore it?

Original review: July 27, 2018

I'm a cosigner and I've been in contact with Navient concerning my loans because at the end of the year they stop taking payments from the trustee. Sallie Mae just forced us into this very high interest rate with this company who all seem like they don't have a clue about anything. When I got in touch with the advocate office, they did the same thing. No one has any answers but are quick to threaten me about payments that they didn't receive because they rejected them and sent it back to the trustee. Now I have my hard earned money stuck with the court. It's time to put these crooks out of business.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Wouldn't even give it one star if the option was there. I started paying my loan with Sallie Mae over 14 years ago (using automatic payments from my bank account). NEVER missed a payment and/or NEVER been late with a payment. They recently started increasing my interest rate so NOW I have an addition 3 years added onto my estimated last payment due date. This is insane. PLEASE do not trust this company. I noticed every time I include a little extra $$ in my scheduled payment is when they increase the interest rate (to compensate for the money lost when a person pays his or her loan off early). AGAIN, this company will screw you one way or another. They have increased my interest rate over 2 points in the past year and half (in small increments every time I pay a little extra towards my principal). OH AND THEY DO NOT NOTIFY YOU WITH EACH INCREASE. WORRRSSST COMPANY EVER!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I live abroad, make the painful effort to pay off my loans every month, even though they are crippling and essentially render me unable to do anything other than go to work, pay rent and eat. Now Navient is telling me that they no longer accept credit card payments and that I have to go through a third party money wiring service to pay them, thus accruing a fee every single time. This is absurd and yet another example of Navient punishing its CUSTOMERS. They also blocked me on Facebook for criticizing them. This company needs to be burned to the ground. They prey on students and are helping to cripple an entire generation.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Navient took over for one of my loans that I'd been paying faithfully since graduating almost 10 years ago. The first few payments went through successfully, then we got an email FROM NAVIENT with a new address for us to begin sending payments. We send the next TWO PAYMENTS to that address. Suddenly, I'm getting phone calls (along with my 95 year old Great Uncle, my co-signer) saying that I'm behind by 2 payments. It took multiple 45+ minute conversations over the span of 3 or 4 days for the supervisor to finally see that my payments went to the Department of Education and NOT to Navient, even though the payments were sent to the address that Navient told us to send them to. The solution? Call the Department of Education and request a refund (around $1600), upon getting the refund, send that money BACK to Navient...

So because we followed their instructions in an email they sent, I have been getting harassed daily, along with my Great Uncle (who is already in poor health) about being behind on payments. Customer Service is a JOKE. They are rude, talk in circles, and flat out LIE. My mother has been making my loan payments for the past few years because I'm BROKE and before Navient took over for my former loan agency I was able to consent with them to speak directly with her since the money was coming out of her wallet. Navient INSISTS that it's against the law for them to speak with a third party. I asked them to provide proof of that law for my state (NC), they told me to to Google it. I Google lending laws in my state and read aloud to them the part where it says UNLESS GIVEN CONSENT BY THE LENDER. Their response? "Um, well... that's now the law I have..."

So, I ask them to provide me with any kind of link, document, web address - where are they getting this "law" from?? Nothing. Nada. Lies. They would only accept payments over the phone... When I badgered them with how irresponsible that is, given their horrible reputation, they cut me off and said "FINE, JUST SEND US A CHECK. "... I never write online reviews, let alone ones I have to create an account for... THAT'S how bad Navient is. They're also just nasty - interruptions, condescending tone (even when THEY are the ones who mess up). Just say NO TO NAVIENT.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I just spent 40 minutes with customer service at Navient. I'm not sure if I'm reaching a call center in a foreign country, but it sure feels like it. They just kept repeating my problem back to me. Putting me on hold for long periods of time. Then again repeating my problem back to me. I am a co-borrower on a loan, noticed an automatic payment was all of a sudden being split between 2 loans I have with them. For 10 years this payment was assigned to this one particular loan. I asked for them to not split the payments and allocate it to the original loan. Rocket science? No. They just couldn't wrap their heads around it. I finally hung up after 40 MINUTES of sheer futility. Stay aware from this loan company!

Original review: June 11, 2018

They are the worst when it comes to customer service. One person will tell you one thing and another person will tell you another thing. I have been dealing with this company for years and it has just gotten worst. Don't go with this company!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

In March of 2018 I contacted Navient too and was approved for the zero based income program. I gave them ALL the information they asked for. In May 2018 I started getting letters from my creditors about seriously delinquent accounts, Navient never process the paperwork and gave on my credit. Right now 166 missed payments. THEY HAVE RUIN me. Creditors are closing my accounts. My car insurance company does not want to keep me. Who fixes this??? I’m furious. They have my character ruin and I could face losing my job!!! I have children and a home to operate and this company has ruin me. I wish I could post my credit report on here. It’s going to take years to fix this mess they have created. I am taking what I have left and getting an attorney.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Awaiting response for allocation breakdown and interest feeds added. For a few months now I've been "ahead" in paying and paying more than amount due. Now suddenly my amount due is more than last month even after my payment? As if it's not bad enough to be paying this off and on for 8 years I still owe more than I ever even borrowed. :/

Original review: May 5, 2018

I had this issue last year as well. But this year it was worse. The law is that they are supposed to calculate your IBR based in your AGI (annual gross income). I submitted our application and 4 times they insisted they were calculating it correctly, yet they were skewing the numbers by calculating our last years payment on our AGI, but this year calculating on our Gross Income, so the numbers came out that even though my husband was making less money (he took a pay cut) our payment was increasing by $75 a month. Their employees don't even know what AGI is.

I had to call 10 times and insist on talking to a head supervisor who finally told me to have my husband write a self-certified letter. We haven't heard back yet and even though I tried to proactively get this figured out by starting the process two months prior to our new payment date, we are now left with 4 days to see what they are going to do. They also just lie and told me incorrect information on numerous occasions. Their employees should be well versed in tax law and know how to do their job, rather than making their customers do it for them.

Navient Company Information