Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.31/5

Navient Reviews

Original review: May 21, 2019

I really have not dealt with them until Sallie Mae sold my consolidated loan to Navient. I had to be persistent with them about getting a payment plan that I could afford. Found out I qualified for the Income Driven Repayment plan.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I don't have a lot of experience with Navient because Sallie Mae serviced the loans for most of the time I had them (2001-2016.) But I didn't experience any issues with Navient and thought the website was easy to use. My loans were all subsidized Stanford loans, so the loan limits and interest rates were set by the government.

Get expert buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My loan was originally with Sallie Mae. When Navient came into the picture, they offered several repayment options, allowing one to choose the plan best suited for them. When my income fell below a certain threshold, payments were suspended until sufficient income was attained. I can't begin to tell you how beneficial that was to my particular circumstance. A truly considerate and fair company!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have graduate school loans at Navient and Nelnet. I’ve had these loans over 10 years, and my loan at Navient is an inch away from being paid off. The contrast in experiences is night and day. Navient has been one colossal headache after the next. Nelnet has been consistently fantastic to deal with. For example, my county was recently hit by TS Imelda and the President declared us a federal disaster area. My home was hit by lightning and we suffered damage that cost us several thousand dollars outside of our insurance. Without my even asking, Nelnet saw my county and went in and applied a 4-month forbearance to my account. Navient, on the other hand, sent an email asking if I needed help, but made me call and jump through all sorts of hoops.

The rep was a total dingbat and only added to my stress. After all that, despite all my years of paying Navient faithfully and never once before requesting a forbearance, Navient said NO! Who denies a loyal customer disaster relief?!? Do yourself a favor, think very carefully about who you are chaining yourself to for the life of your loans. Life is going to happen. If you’re thinking of consolidating or refinancing to get away from a Navient, Do It! After all these years, I do not have 1 single complaint about Nelnet. Conversely, I do not have 1 single nice thing to say about Navient.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Please, while reading my review feel free to insert expletives when you see the "%" sign. For the last 2 % years, since I started paying back my freedom from the % Navient, I have not once been able to sign in without being blocked after 3 % trials. I got to the point where I noted my % password on top of my % monitor. Yet, as soon as I try to log in, % Navient website blocks me out. I've changed the password so many times that I am running out of ideas for passwords. This % website is as % as the slave owner Navient program. I should have stayed clear of these loan sharks.

I call them Loan Sharks, for a very good reason: last year, I tried to use my income tax return and lower the principal with an additional payment: YOU % CAN NOT! The monies are forcefully distributed to pay off first the % interest and then the % principal. They try to keep milking you as long as % possible. When I inquired, I was told that is regulation approved through legislature by the % congress... go figure. Good luck to all those who think this is a deal!

George ** - Seattle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I started out with a $20,000 or $25,000 loan after earning my master's degree in 2011. When I called to state that I was struggling with payments, Navient (then Sallie Mae), cheerfully told me I could defer the loan. Then when Sallie Mae became Navient, agents continued to cheerfully tell me I could defer year after year after year. Well, a thing too good to be true really is!

This loan after some four years turned into $52,000-plus! I had said to various agents that I wished they would have offered for me to pay the interest while it was in forbearance status. I did this with my undergrad loan back in the 1980s. Sallie Mae back then was dead set on getting something out of you every month. Fast forward to the 2000s, someone found it was more profitable to no longer offer interest-only payments unless someone asked. I have myself to blame.

So since 2015/16, I have been slamming down on this monster and am now at just under $27,000 after an additional payment made today of nearly $800 and some $4000 a few weeks back. There have been times where I have called to get help on adjusting my monthly payment to a higher amount to pay it off faster and agents would chuckle--not wanting me to do so and curious as to why I would want to do so. Every now and then I would get someone with a brain that would help me make adjustments upward because each time you pay down massive amounts (as I got pay raises and worked additional jobs), your monthly payment drops. It is now easy to do online.

Being from the Dave Ramsey school of debt is dumb, I chose to hammer and hammer away and not fall into Navient's deviant debt trap. I chose not to opt for the 25 years of not paying and being forgiven as a Special Education Teacher. I found through Ramsey and President Trump that a ridiculously small percentage of folks have loans forgiven for working with nonprofs and other so-called qualifying conditions. Just pay it off quickly! TAKE FINANCIAL PEACE AT YOUR CHURCH OR ANY CHURCH IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE. NEVER LET YOUR CHILDREN TAKE OUT LOANS (our daughter is on a wiser track--Christ-led). Ramsey is right, our Father did not predestine us to be slave to the lender. Such debt is not Biblical.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have graduated from Everest Institute 2011 and ever since then Navient lied to me, harassed not only myself but my co-signer with phone calls everyday from morning to night. They call even if my payments are on time. There was times I called and was put on hold for 20 mins or more before representative would take my call. They made false statements on how I am two months behind when I am not. They have taken their payment out of my account early, which has costed me tons in overdraft fees. They also have double charged me before too, taking two payments out at once. This company is nothing more than money sucking criminals. They refuse to work with me in the in the past when I was unable to make payments. I have had enough of the harassing phone calls and their lies. I really regret getting student loans through them. Now that Everest Institute is no longer around, they claim there is nothing they can do for me.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Navient said they couldn't give me a guaranteed estimate on what my new interest rate would be without an application, but gave me a rough estimate of X%. Navient then advised me to submit my application to receive an estimate. They explicitly told me that after I received the estimate I would have paperwork to sign to confirm that I wanted to go through with the consolidation. So, I submitted my paperwork and supporting documents. I soon decided against consolidation, and figured that once things were processed, I would reject it. Well, 2 months later, I suddenly received notices from my new loan provider that a consolidated loan had been dispersed. I called everyone, and there was nothing I could do to undo it. And my interest rate was almost 2% higher than Navient's rough estimate of X%, to boot. Navient tricked me into consolidating my loan against my will. I could never have imagined I couldn't trust them. Be careful if you're dealing with them.

Original review: July 30, 2019

They disabled my account and refuse to open it back up for me SO I CAN GIVE THEM MY MONEY because my dad's deaf and can’t speak on the phone. And they need him to speak on the phone in order to unlock my account so I can pay them????

Original review: July 17, 2019

They left a message once. It was for a strange name. Now they call all hours of the day and night. I have owned my condo for 4 years and have had the same number ever since. Whomever they are trying to reach they simply have the wrong number yet the call continue, again, non-stop and are getting earlier and earlier in the day and well into the night. The few times I have tried to answer the call there is nothing but silence. I tried their website but there is no way to contact them without offering my own personal information.

Navient Company Information