2. Education
  3. Student Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Navient Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I took out $60,000 in student loans from Navient, have been paying them off over the last eight years and my balance is literally $61,000. I have literally paid almost $30,0000 to Navient. This company treats me like they have never received money from me and continually plays games. Hence they are consistently getting sued, how this company can continue to operate in this manner is alarming. How I have a overall balance higher than what I received in funds initially is interesting.

The company has ridiculous interest rates and thinks that decreasing the monthly payment by only $50 is going to help struggling borrowers. They will not work with you unless you have a job, and their refinance option only applies to people who are employed and make $50,000 or higher. The company expects you to come up with the ridiculous monthly payment by any means necessary and will transfer you to multiple departments where you have to repeat the conversation concerning your loans.

They pretend to work with you and will have you and your cosigner waste your time answering questions about why you can't make payments, will process your application pretending to work with you in a rational manner. Only to reject your decreased loan payments or offer a new monthly amount that is no different than what you are requesting temporary relief from. I would not suggest anyone take out loans with a company that refuses to work with borrowers' employment.

Original review: July 17, 2020

They're not keeping their words on stopped payments for covid 19. They told me I didn't qualify and during this crazy pandemic they call me Daily to collect payments even if I pay.... They can care less about what written law is nationwide. They don't honor covid 19 exceptions.

Get buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2020

This has been a complete joke. I have no idea who owns my student loans! These crooks can’t tell me why I am paying $75 out of $100 in interest. They tell me I’m paying 2% interest! What? I’ll never give them another penny!

Original review: June 18, 2020

Initially I had no problems with NaviRefi. I had a seamless experience while repaying my loans and had none of the mentioned problems with payments or overpaying and allocating where the funds should go. However, I stupidly just noticed they have been continuing an automatic payment of $189.78 from my bank account for the past 17 months. My fault I didn't notice it sooner, but really it's inexcusable on their part. I contacted them to ask if they had record of the payments and received a reply that they have received no payments from me. However, I received a 2019 tax form showing interest paid for that year. Interest on what? My loans were repaid in full in October 2018. I have filed a claim with my bank who will be pursuing this.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Navient has consistently been the worst experience of my loan repayment process. Let's be honest here, loan repayment can suck after student loans become due even in the best circumstances. Navient however seems hell bent on making every inch of the process a tooth and claw fight to get rid of these things. They respond to some government processes and not others. Their website consistently does not work. Their app consistently does not work. Their customer support is often aimed at getting more money out of you instead of acting as the "servicer" they attempt to classify themselves as.

If you EVER find one of your loans in their grubby mitts, pay it off as quickly as humanly possible. Keep every scrap of paper and documentation you can. Do not trust their website to do it for you. Do not expect to be able to keep your records there. They will spend every moment trying to engineer your repayment to garner themselves another dollar.

If you have to refinance it. Hell, knowing what I do now, I would almost pay it off with a credit card! That's literally the worst idea ever, and it still sounds good after my experiences. At least a credit card follows SOME standard of how to treat their clients, and has laws in place to guard you as a consumer. If you can refinance it, or procure a private loan from a credit union or bank, do it.

Original review: May 23, 2020

Loans are applied for with the understanding it will be paid, why won't Navient agree to a settlement? All they care for is the interest and late fees. Sad Sad company. Sorry for students who have to use them.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I used to be ok with this company, but not anymore. I received several e-mails from them stating I owed a payment. The customer service person told me that loans owned by the Federal Gov't are automatically placed in forbearance. But that Federal Gov't loans handled by commercial lenders are not subject to the recent law. What is that????

After I complained, the person said I could have a 30-60-90 day deferment but that interest would still accrue. I am so disappointed with this company. I read they are being sued. Sad that it takes going that distance before they do the right thing. Navient is not doing the right thing. Also, their first e-mail said my payment was due in July. Then I received a second e-mail stating my payment terms changed and that it was actually due in June. So they moved my payment up a month. How nice. If they did their homework, they would know I'm actually still in school because my university allowed 60% of the students to retake the semester. But they wouldn't think of that, I guess. Shameful.

Original review: April 1, 2020

Got a call today from Navient (April 1st---April Fool's Day) about a Special Offer due to the coronavirus. They are offering to forebear on payments for 60 days; HOWEVER interest will still accumulate. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE DOING BEFORE AND WHAT THEIR CURRENT LAWSUIT IS ABOUT. They actually make more money by persuading you to put off your payments while the interest accumulates.

I told them that this is not what the new stimulus package in congress had stipulated and was answered that interest-free deferments are only for government loans and Navient is a private company, so I was not entitled. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was denied the request and told that I could only defer with interest accumulating. THIS IS NOT A RESPONSE TO THE CORONAVIRUS. It is business as usual for Navient. I informed them that I would immediately put an account of the conversation on the internet so that others would not be misled. Do not defer your loans unless you have no choice. Deferment increases your debt to Navient and puts more money in their pockets. Hope you lose your case, Navient, because YOU ARE ACTING IN BAD FAITH.

Original review: March 25, 2020

Navient is a bank that does not care about the customers. Navient only cares about your money and making theirs. Navient is a company owned by a bunch of wealthy rich people who plan to destroy the American dream and are not doing anything to help the country. My student loan is currently at 11.3% interest and I make payments on time. I actually pay more than the minimum. I am looking forward to refinancing this horrible debt as soon as possible. It is my hope that this organization cease to exist in the near future.

Original review: March 20, 2020

This company continues to call me, they say about my student loan. Only problem is IVE NEVER HAD ONE...WITH ANYBODY. I attempt to call them and the message says the can’t check my account without my full SS number. Are you kidding? It’s the oldest trick alive. Do not deal with this outfit. You’ll be sorry if you do.

Navient Company Information