Navient

Compare Student Loans

Research top Student Loans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

When you end up spending years as a "customer" of this company you will find out too that as life throws you different situations and you ebb and flow with financial hardship at times during the years of repayment, that the employees of this company consistently don't show any concern for your situation and the company itself doesn't offer many solutions to help you during financial hardship. Reps consistently give you inaccurate information and you feel like you're in a never ending game of tug of war. Nobody can be held accountable. You're screwed.

There are no options to reduce your loan based off of your income no matter how big or small your family is or how much you make. Unless you want to be paying everything off the same day you retire from life. You know, considering there is a lot of life that happens between when you're a college kid and the last day you make a payment as an older adult. This company owns your soul and you will feel that way. Do NOT get a loan from this company. Take a break from school and make your money and go back if need be, but DO NOT BORROW FROM NAVIENT OR SALLIE MAE. Or, you will find out for yourself...

I filed for student loan forgiveness in December and final approval for it was on December 26, 2016. I got letters from the U.S. Treasury that they were going to start taking money out of my SSI Disability check in March 2017. I called and spoke to Navient and Washington State Education also about it and kept getting the runaround. I told both of them that I had letters from them stating all was cleared, kept getting well when WSE sends a letter stating all is forgiving we will stop taking money from you. Then I get hold of WSE and they say the opposite of what Navient told me. So I got money taken out in March of this month and again they are taking money out this month.

I called and spoke to a lady at Navient yesterday and was on the phone for over 45 mins and kept getting put on hold. She said one second please and it was more the a second, I hate it when people said that. So finally she comes back on the phone and said we are updating your information just now and call back tomorrow. Same old story on hold from WSE and then get yes you were approved and it was just updated yesterday. There is a process for a refund going on right now, and it will take up to 30 days for the Dept of Treasury to stop taking money once we send it to them. I wish that both of them could get in serious trouble and fined and the people they are screwing gets quadruple the money back they took. And that they will continue to take money out until then.

Twelve years ago we took out a student loan for my daughter. When she dropped out of college we set up a payment plan and I don't know how we ended up with Navient. My husband took care of all of our finances. He is now currently disabled and, before his surgery in January 2017, I had to quit my job to care for him in our home. Now Navient is telling me that they will garner his social security to pay back the loan. That's all I have to live on. We don't own our home and have mountains of debt excluding his medical expenses.

He is a Vietnam Vet suffering from diaphragmatic paralysis that was caused by exposure to Agent Orange but we have been unable to see a VA doctor b/c he is on a ventilator in a rehab center and must be examined by a VA doc who will not come to our facility. What can I do? His doctor has filled out the required forms for a permanent disability discharge of the loan but Navient refuses to acknowledge or honor this document. What can I do and who can help me?

They do NOT send out tax forms. When you try to get your tax form online, they ALWAYS tell you your password is no longer valid--even though you have recently logged into your account to pay. When you call to get it fixed, you are placed on hold and can only "talk" to their automated attendant. When you ask to talk to a real human, she SERIOUSLY hangs up on you. She tells you "I'm sorry, but I'm going to disconnect the call" because you want to talk to a real person. You have NO options to have a human help you. I NEVER chose this company. They are AWFUL. The entire student loan business/service is terrible and this company is the worst one my loan has ever been "sold" to. Just terrible. Can I choose to take my loan elsewhere? If so, how?

Navient has consistently proven itself a predatory lending practice, profiting off of students who are struggling to get the jobs it touted in exchange for signing away on massive debt. Every day, I have to look at every penny I save and say "should I be saving for retirement now, or pay off my student loans?" If I had been able to save HALF of the money I'd been paying Navient, I might ACTUALLY GET TO RETIRE SOME DAY. But no -- probably never -- Navient bleeds me dry. And now I hear that they're trying to have a lawsuit thrown out because Navient OFFICIALLY STATED in court that its public statements encouraging borrowers to contact the company didn’t mean it would act in their best interest. THIS IS DOCUMENTED. Navient has been claiming for YEARS that they are trying to work WITH us, but they admitted in court this is a lie. That is absolutely appalling.

Your CEO, Jack Remondi, apparently likes to claim -- in his blogs, in his public statements, while collecting his huge paychecks -- that Navient cares about "helping students with debt". But the amount of profit they make off of hard-pressed, hardworking students is absolutely disgusting. This is a double-standard and I swear to you, I am doing everything in my power to seek retribution. I encourage students constantly NOT to use your services. I post negative reviews wherever I can -- and I am NOT alone -- hundreds of negative reviews exist all over the internet and you NEVER acknowledge them. How can you be this two-faced? How can you live off of people breaking their backs, sacrificing their futures, and foregoing their livelihood just so you can increase your already astronomical profits?

I bent over backwards to get a job capable of paying my loans -- I spent YEARS sacrificing just to be able to meet America's soaring living costs -- and how does Navient repay me? By hurting my credit on the months I was struggling most. Well -- I've had it. I am doing everything in my power to bring you down. I hope the progressives finally manage to bring down you and your entire industry. God certainly knows they will have my support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Worst customer service company ever. I had 2 signature loans with Sallie Mae for graduate school. In 2011 I had to drop out due to severe illness and multiple surgeries. I am now on SSDI due severe Crohn's disease that will not go into remission. Anyways I am receiving a lump sum from an LTD settlement and want to pay off my student loans with most of it. My federal loans from undergrad are paid off but it took Navient who took over the loans over 6 months to send the congratulations letter though I got 3 letters about defaulting for those. How? Set up auto pay on the private but that was another six months before those payment issues were applied correctly.

Fast forward to today. I call to get information I need to stop auto-pay and pay off the loans completely. "Um... you have to go online to do that?" Hey I signed up for auto pay on the phone, I just want to pay it off. Going nowhere. So I go online, which I fought just to get signed in. 0 balance, private loans not listed. Where did they go? Why could they not tell me they sold them? I need to get this done now. I move into ADA apartment next month, on $952.00 for SSDI, will be on food stamps. I cannot afford $274 and I have a check coming tax free that can pay it in full. Need to stop auto-pay. Going to credit union to stop payment cause I am not paying a single cent until I know where to exactly send and get it applied correctly to my loans. Ugh! What a nightmare.

I recently took out a Direct Consolidation Loan through FedLoan Servicing, and was approved early March 2017. Several of my loans had recently been transferred from ACS to Navient. Navient has been sending me information informing me they are the new loan holder of those several loans, and most recently a statement informing me I had a payment due four days after I received the statement!

I called them, thinking that it was just an honest mistake and that maybe they weren't up to speed yet on the Direct Consolidation Loan. Their customer service is horrible. They acted like a collection agency. I informed them that they were no longer the loan holder, and they acted liked they didn't know what I was talking about, threatening to send me to collections. I managed to force them to push back my due date until I could talk to Fed Loan Servicing. I spoke with FedLoans immediately after speaking with Navient, and was informed that, yes, those loans had been included in the consolidation, and Navient had ALREADY BEEN PAID! So, Navient is trying to scam me and get double payment. I'm currently in the process of researching who I can report this too. They're not getting away with their shady business practices!

Every single review on this horrible company is so accurate. It's scary they are still operating. After they set me up on automatic payment plan, the second payment got reversed. No calls from them, they just simply kicked me off my payment plan. It was not until several months later I figured it out. They refuse to fix their mistake and put me back on my plan. They instead insist I can afford double what my payment plan was, which is ridiculous. Occasionally you may get a nice person but for the most part they are rude and unhelpful. You get transferred at least three times before you get someone. I have made so many complaints still nothing is being done. They do not care what you have going on. They want your every penny, they can give a ** about you.

It disgusts me how they are treating people and are getting away with. I have been trying to find a new lender to take over the loan. Ironically to them I do not make enough and have too big of student loans. Yet NAVIENT deems I can afford their ridiculous payments. My once amazing credit score is now being dragged through the mud. The least I can do is make sure no one else goes through them!

I sent a payment via the mail (the only way they will accept payment from me in Canada) over 3 weeks ago. I received a notification I may be charged a late fee a week ago since I knew I had made payment. I just received a notification again that my payment has still not been processed. Certainly something must be wrong with the way Navient works. I suggest an overhaul of the processing system so that payments from a country other than the US (many foreign students attend US schools and require loans) can be made expeditiously. I have sought a remedy through the Federal Student Aid website. On the other hand, kudos to Nelnet. Nelnet is a company that knows how to deal with a paying borrower.

I find the Navient website to be unhelpful. They pretend to provide monthly statements in digital format but both formats are bad. When I click on "PDF" I get a. do file which cannot be opened on a Mac without installing an unsecured app which is not available in the App store. When I click on "IMG" I get a PNG file which puts 3 pages into one minuscule PNG file. When I launch InDesign and place the PNG file, and spend 10 minutes cropping, resizing, and copying and cropping and resizing, I get a 3-page document - the content is blurry. There is no way to get a printed statement, and no way to talk to a human being, at least on the weekend. I can only do this on the weekend because I have a day job which does not give me time during Monday-Friday business hours.

When I click on a button on the Navient website, inviting me to "take a survey", I am directed to a promotional video in which Navient brags about how great they are, which is the opposite of the truth. I wonder if Navient is deliberately making it hard for borrowers to get information (about their OWN account) as a way to cover up unscrupulous behavior: inaccurate record-keeping, overcharging, etc. I believe this company should be dissolved and all of their accounts should be transferred to an honest, non-profit, publicly owned loan servicer.

I consolidated my loans. They did not send all of my loans to the consolidation servicer. They hid them, then turned them over to a collection company. They ruined my credit and now the collection company takes my income tax refund each year (for the last 3 yrs) despite me trying to pay off the loans. They add thousands of dollars of attorney fees and handling fees. I only owes 1500 on one loan and now it is over 10k. I tried going through the omnibusmen but they were no help either.

Have been enrolled in auto-pay forever, have even been making extra payments. In December, we entirely paid off one large loan, and so our monthly payment had been reduced. Now we logged in tonight to find that all of our accounts were showing past due amounts, despite the auto-payment being taken out on time, as usual. Additionally, the loan we paid off in December had re-appeared as having a balance again, despite it having been shown as completely paid off for the past two months. So either the information was incorrect in December, and we still owe them money, or the information is incorrect now, and the loan is paid off as we thought it was.

All of the reports of late payments are false, or auto-pay failed, because we were enrolled in auto-pay for all of our accounts, had more than adequate funds in those accounts, and received emails saying those auto-payments were taken out, and it shows up on Navient as those auto-payments having been processed. I don't care whether Navient was incorrect before, or if they are incorrect now - the point is, at some point they had incorrect information on my accounts, and I've taken action based on this incorrect information. Even the couple hours researching this tonight, on a work night, is quite costly. Navient processes over $300B in student loans… there should be ZERO room for accounting errors like this. Everything should be fully automated and mistake-proofed, because millions of people are relying on the accuracy of this information in formulating their family budgets, in managing their credit, in making purchasing decisions.

We are currently pre-approved to purchase a home, and depending on if Navient's errors result in effects on our credit report, it could seriously jeopardize our ability to close on a mortgage. That is some real and serious damage we could suffer due to Navient not doing their due diligence to ensure that the information they are reporting out on our account balances are accurate. That's in addition to the real and serious damage that they have already done to my mental health with worrying about this situation, staying up late writing things like this, rather than resting well for work. I would expect so much more from an organization with such an important role. I am gravely disappointed in this company. I would recommend steering clear from them no matter what, however you can. A company with this many assets under management, you would expect much more of a professional outfit.

Navient is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. They should not be in business! I had 4 student loans total, 2 stayed with Navient and the other 2 went to Suntrust in which I pay. Navient is reporting 4 bad derogatory loans on all 3 of my credit reports and 2 in good standing. I have called to have them remove the 4 bad accounts that they put on my credit and no one will help. I get the run around. I don't get answers and every one of the reps is rude and mouthy to me including managers. My next step is hiring a attorney. It is ridiculous that this company destroys peoples credit for no logical reason. The manager I spoke to today told me he was confused and got mad at me for questioning why they added two loans to my credit. He said I just don't understand. I'm getting nowhere with this company.

I lost my job and don't have any income. This is the 2nd time I have been laid off. I have used my forbearance and deferment for when I got out of school and when I lost my job the first time. I have never missed a payment and overpay on the loan each month, but when I called asking for help to suspend the payments for 6 months to a year while I look for a job, the answer was no. Actually, their customer service was so rude. They yelled at me and asked that I stop asking ridiculous questions that only make us speak in circles. My "ridiculous" question was how do I pay a loan when I don't have any income.

I find it such poor practice to not have an ongoing solution for clients that lose their income sources. There shouldn't be a cap or limit because people lose their jobs often throughout their life. The only option Navient left for me was to find a job in the next few weeks (obviously that is my top goal) or I will end up defaulting on the loans. Side note: their customer service is one of the rudest I have ever encountered. This is very sad.

9 auto generated calls. When given the #, they are not open. When you call the auto-generated voice comes on telling you that it is new and will "learn" about you and how better to serve you. I would never have used them but they bought my student loans. Their average is 1 star. It should be none.

They told me according to my MPN I maxed out 48 months of in-school deferment. When I checked my MPN's there was no mention of a time frame of in-school deferment. This is now breaching my contracts because they are not living up to Sallie Mae standards as they should. In addition my co-signer passed they did not release her from my loan. They forced me into deferment not telling me about other payment options, and told me to reconsolidate my loans, and never sent all of them to the new lender. 90% of my loans are still sitting on my credit report under Navient. They are rude, and tricky, and needs to be shut down, and give us our aid money back while they are at it.

How is a company allowed to operate like this? I have had loans through Sallie Mae/Navient and have yet to come up with a viable and affordable solution to pay these loans. These people are willing to make you live in a cardboard box as long as they get their money. Truly awful and unethical the amount of money they are making in the interest of these loans as they make it impossible to pay them off. Not to mention the robocalling/harassing phone calls!!

Literally just had an employee tell me I could not opt into IBR plan because too much time had lapsed since I was last enrolled and now I have to wait until August of 2018 to re-enroll! So what happens when I can't afford the payments they are asking?! (on top of the $462 worth of payments they are already getting on other loans) They are reported as late and will continue to be reported late for a year and a half - essentially RUINING my credit history. This is INSANE!! I would love to file a lawsuit - this company is getting away with highway robbery and it needs to end.

I called Navient to lower my student loan payment and they said I had to wait until a payment was due to get it lowered. So I call back the next month to find out they hiked my interest rate so I was basically fighting to keep my loan payment at what it was, instead of the $30 more amount. Unreal. Then because my loan is under $30,000 and under 5 years long, they said they couldn't lower it at all. I absolutely feel they hiked my interest because they KNEW I was trying to lower the payment. Conveniently, if I got the interest rate reduced, it would go back to being the payment I had before. But I can't. I hope this lawsuit hits Navient hard and they are under high scrutiny to make sure no one else is verbally and emotionally abused by them.

I changed banks and had to update my new account information. I called three different times and it was never done. I am on the phone now as we speak waiting for a supervisor for 26 minutes and counting. The level of service is the worst I have ever seen by any company in my life. The first time it was set up wrong and the person had to call me back, and still didn't do it correctly.

Navient has not had my loan since April of 2013. I moved it to fed loans and now they are calling me, sending me bills. Even on my credit report it shows that it closed with them and open with Fed Loans so why or how can they call me and send me bills???

Navient Student Loan Service is the worst and the lowest of the low company to deal with student loan. It is equally sad that our government permit such hideous practice to destroy hard working people who in good faith have tried to live up to their commitment. Where is the faith and strength to continue paying, when your monthly payment is $327 and only $15 (under $50.00) is applied to the principal? How can one muscle up the strength and encouragement to make monthly payment when the total amount consolidated was $34,000.00 & one have been making monthly payment of $327 ($3924 per yr) x 4yrs = $1596.00 and your balance is $35,000 still!?

Something is terribly wrong with this scam that our government & elected officials are not and failing to address. Oh & get this my obligation will be fulfilled in 2032 for the total of $64,000.00. Shouldn't one have & say in who should service their loan. N-nasty A-abuse of power V-void-empty I-inconsiderate E-egotistical N - nasty again T - trickery. Elected Officials step up and terminate this hideous scam of a company. It is destroying good people!

I took out approximately 60k and blinked and it turned into 100k. I was scammed into taking interest only payments because I couldn't afford to do anything else? They wanted 500-1300/mo. Who can pay this? I was on phone 3 hours trying to find solutions. Once again they tried to sell me forbearance. I don't qualify for any help whatsoever. I am not enough of a burden on society and now what? I'll be dead and in default. "Solutions for 'my' success". What a joke. Solutions for THEIR success, not yours or mine. I pray to God everyday that the lawsuit against this monster is successful and millions of people including myself get their day... THEIR payback for the pain, suffering and ruining of lives THEY have caused with their unethical practices.

My account is in forbearance for those months which they reported me late 90 days, Navient "claims" they cannot remove because the information is accurate. Attempted a goodwill request, speaking with customer service and advocate office and still they are "required" to report. Okay but aren't they also required to follow the statutes of the FTC and the FCR and the HEA and report current and updated information to the CB. Who regulates these companies. Very frustrating as there is no recourse - they review your file 15 minutes, determine it's accurate and RUIN your credit for 7 years! I hope this lawsuit against Navient puts the hurt to them by sticking them with fines for all the complaints they receive about cheating their customers.

The last large payment I made to Sallie Mae was to pay off one of 2 loans. I was adamant. I only wanted 1 balance left since they were charging me interest at 5.3%. I later filed chapter 13. 2-3 months later it was transferred to Navient. The Bankruptcy verifies my student loan balance remaining was $4,624.46. During that time I returned to school full time on grants and scholarships.

After completing school and the chapter 13, I was sent a notice that I had two separate balances, both charging interest. When I contacted them about getting it corrected, they hesitated. I had my school send proof of times attended. I had my trustee send proof of amount due. They are stalling and I am preparing to dispute at the suggestion of my attorney. I am still getting statements, after asking them to correct it showing 2 different loans without the correct balance, even after faxing proof from my trustee, the information they have is incorrect. I want to be able to resolve this, but it seems as though they are delaying getting the corrections made.

I became a Navient customer because I had Sallie Mae Loans and I have federal loans that are managed by Navient. My federal loan payments were over $750 a month for 20 years, and I just couldn't pay that. After going back and forth with them, I was told that my best option would be IBR. So I filled out the paperwork and they sent me the amount I should pay. A few weeks ago, I was informed (not by Navient) that my loans will continue to increase in amount and I'll be responsible for interest after 20 years (which will easily be 75k+), so now, my loan is higher than it was, I can't pay what they say I should to cover the interest, and I was never informed of what going on the IBR plan would do. I basically threw money away to owe more. I'm devastated.

My normal payment date is the 15th of each month. For some reason this company took the payment on the 2/13. I called and told them it was the wrong day and they gladly changed it back. Good... Wrong... They scheduled another payment for 2/15. You would think common sense would kick in and say "Hey... He just paid one today, the next one should be due in a month." So I called and they said they can't stop it but call my bank to stop it. My bank charges $31 to stop a payment. I'm not paying for their screw up.

NAVIENT - READ THIS! So NAVIENT says we owe 15 thousand dollars on a Loan from 2007 for my daughter... My daughter would have been 3 years old at that time. I'm not sure where they get their information from but I have tried to call them with no successful call back just a call back from a phony IRS agency saying she owes Taxes. OMG, Somehow I am starting to think these two are linked in a huge scam. THE IRS WILL NEVER CALL YOU. How do I get rid of this bogus bill?

This loan company can't seem to do anything right or in its entirety the first time. In practically every instance that I need to send in filled-out forms or documentation, they tell me the wrong thing. Or I mail them what's required and it doesn't get processed in a timely way or maybe overlooked. So I get scary, demanding notices, as if I hadn't complied with them at all. Also, their reps don't always know how Navient forms are supposed to be filled out. So naturally they don't suffice, requiring me to do them all over again. I haven't dealt with them online. I don't know if that would help, but in doing so by mail, I have to buy postage stamp after postage stamp to send them what they need. And things get dragged out for weeks, months. Just unreal.

If the name Navient was not associated with Students loans I would think this is a scam. Not that the government ever was involved in any scam. Why out of the Blue no Student Name or Loan Number comes out with a Bill and Tax form. Exchanging critical information or providing information on myself or anyone in my family could create room for a scam. So, unless the connection is made through the source of the Loan where it originated in the University or School, then I may think on providing more information.

I am an ex-Sallie Mae student-loan customer whose loans have been transferred to Navient. Navient refuses to acknowledge me as their customer. I don't know if it's because I am a victim of education scam(s). I was notified by a staff member of the federal agency U.S. Dept of Education, via phone call, that I was a victim of education scam(s), after they received an alert of tampering of my student-loan file. The scam went so far as to try to block me from attending additional college courses under federal aid to obtain my master's.

Next, they discovered that my employment salary history was actually from federal grants under the classification of Title 1 funding. It was then that my employer would no longer acknowledge as an education employee of theirs. Somehow, by error they said, my position was given to someone else. [Instead of me, their bonafide staff member, who had founded the position and created the curricula for the education program to be used at the given schooling district.]

Needless to say -- let's forget about me receiving a teacher loan forgiveness of student-loan debt for years of service teaching in a bonafide Title 1 schooling district for the required length of time for loans to have been forgiven; because of no verification my education employer and former schools that I attended as a child of G&T. Now, whenever, I speak to Navient they refer to me to speak to Department of Education.

Navient Company Profile