3.9/5 (452 ratings)
Find a Student Loans partner

Starting college this year?

See our recommended student loan offers for 2021

Get started

About Navient

Navient offers and services federal and private student loans for qualified applicants. It allows students to manage their accounts via its website, providing access to educational tools and budgeting spreadsheets. Its rates are determined by Congress, but it offers a discount for students who set up automatic payments. Borrowers can pay on the website, over the phone or by mail.

Pros

• Military benefits
  • User-friendly mobile app
  • Auto-pay discounts

Cons

• 2017 lawsuit
  • Can’t pay by credit card

Bottom Line

Navient is a federal and private student loan servicer and collector. It’s known as one of the largest federal loan servicers in the country, and borrowers can take advantage of its reduced interest rates through auto-pay.

Top Navient Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

This company has been so easy to work with and the Customer Service is exceptional. There is always someone willing to help via email or a phone call away. There are so many optio...

Verified

My loan was originally with Sallie Mae. When Navient came into the picture, they offered several repayment options, allowing one to choose the plan best suited for them. When my i...

Starting college this year?

See our recommended student loan offers for 2021

Get started

What is Navient?

Based in Wilmington, Delaware, Navient was created in 2014 after it parted ways with Sallie Mae Bank. It currently manages over $300 million in student loans for over 12 million debtors.

The organization has a rich history, originating in 1973 as a government-sponsored enterprise called Sallie Mae. In 2004, Sallie Mae turned into a private sector organization; in 2009, the U.S. Department of Education elected Sallie Mae to receive federal loans on its behalf. The company separated into Navient and Sallie Mae in 2014.

Today, Navient helps service millions of student loans to assist students in successfully navigating their financial aid.

How does Navient work?

Navient works as a loan servicer between borrowers and their lenders (the U.S. government). Its services include sending bills and account statements, processing payments, assisting borrowers with payment plans and requesting deferment or forbearance. It also helps certify borrowers for loan forgiveness.

Students can set up accounts on its website for an easier loan management experience. Its website allows auto-pay, repayment change, loan forgiveness, due date changes, payoff time calculation and tax documentation.

Take advantage of its online interactive budgeting worksheets, financial blogs and educational tools. In addition, Navient has a mobile app for a user-friendly and convenient experience.

Navient student loan requirements

Student loan repayment options differ depending on the type of loan, the promissory note and the lender. Federal student loans generally follow three plans: Standard, Graduated and Extended.

Standard payment plans last up to 10 years with a fixed monthly payment amount of $50 minimum. Monthly payment amounts are based on your total loan amount — the more you owe, the higher your monthly payment will be.

Graduated repayment plans are lower at first and then increase, usually every two years. They’re set to an amount that helps ensure your loans are repaid within the remaining terms. Repayment is generally 10 years and can go up to 30 years for consolidated loans.

Extended repayment plans offer up to 25 years to repay loans. They’re available for most borrowers with more than $30,000 in direct or FFEL Program loan balances.

Navient student loan rates

Congress sets interest rates through legislation, but borrowers who sign up for autopay may be eligible to reduce their interest rate by 0.25%. For Federal Direct Student Loans disbursed between July 2020 and June 2021, the following rates are fixed:

• Direct subsidized loans and direct unsubsidized loans for undergraduate students: 2.75%
  • Direct unsubsidized loans for graduate and professional students: 4.30%
  • Direct Plus loans for parents of undergraduate students and Direct Plus loans for graduate or professional students: 5.30%

Navient FAQ

Is Navient a federal or private loan lender?
Navient is one of the largest federal student loan servicers. It also services private student loans from various lenders.
How do I pay my Navient loan?
Navient acquires payments differently depending on whether you have a federal or private loan, the status of your loan and if you have multiple loans that are combined into one billing or loan group. In general, Navient accepts payments via its website by connecting your bank account, by telephone to pay by debit card or by mail to pay by check.
Can Navient garnish wages?
Navient can garnish wages for private student loans after they file a lawsuit and receive a judgment. For federal student loans, Navient typically will not garnish wages.
Will Navient settle student loans?
Navient has accepted settlement offers for private student loans. However, It will not settle a student loan in good standing.

Is Navient legit?

Navient is one of the largest and most well-known companies for managing federal and private student loans. It does offer a wide array of online services, including repayment plan options and account management. It also offers a military benefits program for active-duty and post-active service members. Borrowers can also take advantage of reduced interest rates through auto-pay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I have been making payments to Navient for a student loan over the past 15 years. During that time I have sporadically been unemployed or made less when starting a new position, but I've always made a point to pay this loan down as longs as it's economically feasible. I started with a loan amount of $23,000 and with interest over these years it ballooned to over $36,000. Currently I have the loan paid down to $20,000. Unfortunately I have recently become unemployed again and called to postpone or reduce my payments, but was informed that I have no forbearance options left to me. I asked to see what a reduced payment would look like and was offered a $150.00/month reduction. During the call with customer service I was asked to provide the amount in my savings account since I now have no income.

I was also asked to provide a card to make the payments with even though I informed them I would continue to make payments online as usual. Apparently, they do not trust people enough to make payments and required me to make an automated withdrawal every month. This is something I simply cannot do without any income. I joked with the customer service representative that I guess I could not pay my mortgage or skip a few meals during the week. The reply was that they were not asking me to do that...yet they would force me to do that by now offering any meaningful assistance. The point here is to not expect Navient to care about your situation. They will literally take money from those who do not have it. Stay far, far away from this company if needing a private student loan. I've been paying for this mistake for 15 years and have nothing to show for it.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

This company is the worst. Payout??!! What payout?? Those of us who still have loans from Sallie Mae should of all been forgiven due to fraud and non-stop harassment!!! Those of us that still have the loans have the interest rates that keep going up so we are paying for those who "supposedly" qualified for loan forgiveness. BTW who are these ppl who qualified??? Are they real ppl bc every single person I have come across has not qualified for any forgiveness of any type from this company or the government. It's a scam!! The only thing that I can hope for is that I die before these idiots gets paid off and they have to wrote it off. Bc these have made 100% profit off of me already and I still owe them and will never be able to pay them off.

BTW the account specialist I had today was a completely rude unprofessional and took God's name in vain when I was speaking with her. She lost her patience with me bc I was struggling to get thru the phone call that I could barely hear her on and I was coughing due to me having COVID and told to call back. I told her, "I needed to get this done today as I can not make my payment and it is due today." Nevermind the fact that I waited 40 minutes on the phone to get someone. Just another reason for me to not like this company.

Get buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I ask to postpone my payments of $55.88 due to (temporary hardship) for a couple of months, but instead they (Navient) demanded $600.00 in 2 months. I am a senior citizen on limited income (earnings). I do "NOT" have that kind of money! "Shame on them"!

Original review: June 14, 2022

This company did not leave not one voice message regarding my account while I am currently still attending college, they set my loan status to default, sent the account to another company in default status, I was unaware until I went to pay 2022 tuition and was not able to because of the current status of my loan, now no one can help me, I have been referred to the other company who refers me back to Navient in which Navient is telling me to call the Dept of Education, just an overall horrifying, disgusting predicament I am current facing because of their negligence, would never recommend anyone do business with this unorganized/incompetent organization.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

No wonder this company has got taken down for lies. I called to ask about my account and the lawsuit and was immediately hung up on. I guess they are trying to backpedal like Dr. Fauci with the pandemic. Shows if you give too much power they turn into tyrants.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Some frustrated individual who referred to himself in the 3rd person as "Jay" was incredibly rude, condescending, and did not even let me speak before assuming he knew everything and spoke over me. He tried sending a code via text that never came through (3 attempts). I was trying to ask if he could tell me the number he had, but he just kept on insisting he had divine knowledge about everyone and everything. He finally said he would call back in 60 seconds to allow the text to come through (although I had sent myself a text to make sure all was working...he of course ignored this info...again), and when I attempted to ask him to tell me which number he had on file he hung up on me. Needless to say the phone never rang because obviously he had the wrong number. Total jerk and pompous yank with zero respect for anyone besides himself who he obviously holds in high regard.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I would not recommend Navient for your student loan. After making on time payments for more than 16 years via an automatic withdrawal from my bank, for which I was receiving an interest rate reduction, Navient informed me that my bank had refused payment because my account had been closed. (Not true). So Navient cancelled my auto pay and informed me that my interest rate reduction had been removed from my account. When I spoke with a rep from Navient they said I could re-enroll in auto pay and receive my former interest rate.

Shortly after that I received notification that my payment schedule for my loan had changed which reduced my payment but extended my loan by several years. I did not request this and did not want this. I re-enrolled in autoPay but am being charged a higher interest rate. I have called several times and spoken to several people, always getting the run around. I have requested to speak to a supervisor but have not been able to. I think this company is very shady.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

They are quick to provide loans, easy to approve extensions and lower payments, but watch out. We borrowed $23k to get my son through college; to date we've paid back over $28k and still have a balance of over $27k. The explanation is interest and capitalized interest. And now they tripled my minimum monthly payment. Customer Service agents are very scripted and can appear knowledgeable as they read the script and provide figures. Most are English as a second language; many are difficult to understand. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely NOT.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I am a disabled veteran in the process of buying a house. On September 10, 2021, I asked for a goodwill adjustment to my credit report to remove a late payment from August 2020 due to covid. They said they couldn't. Then they sent me a letter stating that at my request, they removed an older account. This is a lie. I didn't request that. This resulted in my credit score dropping by 21 points. When I contacted them about their lie, they lied again and said the older account should have been removed after 2 years. Accounts are removed after 7. Why would a corporation do that to a disabled veteran? I have been paying on my account this whole time that covid has been going on. I received a 10% pay cut at work and still continued to pay them. And this is what they do to me? They knew that I was looking to buy a house. They know how credit reporting works. They removed the older account to spite me because I threatened to stop paying them. Capitalism is trash.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

You try to do the right thing and help out your family when possible. I co-signed a loan for my brother to go to school and now that he is in re-payment he has to have an account in good standing and also 12 months of on-time payments. This has been an ongoing battle but he is finally in good standing. Well, this is the month I am due to be released and for whatever reason, his auto-pay conveniently ended and his auto draft was not taken out for July so per Navient I am unable to be released and have to wait an additional year. This is beyond ridiculous. No reminders were sent that his auto pay would end, plus he is military back and forth with being activated so if it slipped his mind that he didn't notice the funds coming out, think he had good reason.

I 100% believe this was a setup from Navient to have his auto pay stop the month before I could be released. While I do hold my brother partially accountable, I do feel like this is an isolated event that his payment was missed. Due to the back and forth military activations and covid related issues. My brother has set up an auto-pay with no expiration at the time so we will not have this issue in the distant future, however, Navient could have easily made an exception to this but instead, I have to wait an entire 12 months to be released.

Navient Company Information