1.02/5
Based on 58 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

631 Navient Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company is horrible. They have hardly any payment options, and I refuse to use a bank account. They use to offer credit card payments, with an enormous fee, but they got rid of that option. They seem like a very greedy company and very inconvenient. It's pretty sad when a collection agency is easier to work with.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have documents from bank payoff and check copies. Navient received check and applied 3 days later after bank disbursed check. They are telling me 10 years later that there was a 55 (1st girl) principal balance. I talked to a supervisor which then said it wasn't 55. It was 240. Now balance is over 400 from March 2018. I called again. They said no one can help me because the idiot manager put notes and she supposedly is giving me a deal. All 3 persons told me that if this has happening to them they would be very upset but they could not help me.

Get expert buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Terrible company. I have been trying to get the school to refund my loan for years, that’s a whole other battle over lost emails, paperwork, the person I was dealing with left and nothing can be retrieved. I recently had my loan put into forbearance by Navient because the school is finally starting to work with me, but since then Navient decided to send credit bureaus my loan is delinquent by 90-119 days, that dropped my TransUnion 78 points and my Equifax 50 point. If you need assistance with a school loan by all means do not use this company. They are not out to help you at all. I have in the past tried to get the school and Navient to speak to each other with no success, I just wanted the school to confirm to Navient that I am trying to work this out. To give an idea what Navient has done to my score I was on the closer side of 700’s. Now one of my scores is 545 and the other is around 575. Navient is a life destroyer. DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was basically "encouraged' into doing their auto pay since I had delinquent payments. Okay fine, I'm cool with that. One year later, it's just not working. I need the flexibility of a non auto draft. So I turn off auto pay. At first they stopped, then the auto draft started again. Okay, it was unexpected, but our budget could cover it. I turn it off again. It happens again. I tell them on a call to stop it. It happens again. I send an email and turn it off again on my online profile with them. It happens again, this time overdrafting our account and taking our grocery money. I send an email and yet again have to click off autodraft on the page. I get an email confirming this. They did it again, and overdrafted us... again. I go and turn off autodraft one more time.

A week after overdrafting us they do a "retry payment." Overdrafting us once more. I finally called our bank and filed a claim with them. Our money was returned, the overdraft canceled, and we now have a stop payment for Navient. I will be sending them money orders from now on, as they can't be trusted with our account. And don't even get me started on refusing to work with me for income based plans. That would be a whole extra post...

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I received an unwanted marketing text blast. I called a company asking very nicely for support and an explanation in their process for text blasts. A very rude and defensively angry man, named Alan, said the best he could do was mark my name for removal. I am on the do not call list and would like to know who was responsible for making sure those numbers did not get included in their text blasts. He said it was him and he hung up on me. What good is the DNC list if business people like this are able to ignore it?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: July 27, 2018

I'm a cosigner and I've been in contact with Navient concerning my loans because at the end of the year they stop taking payments from the trustee. Sallie Mae just forced us into this very high interest rate with this company who all seem like they don't have a clue about anything. When I got in touch with the advocate office, they did the same thing. No one has any answers but are quick to threaten me about payments that they didn't receive because they rejected them and sent it back to the trustee. Now I have my hard earned money stuck with the court. It's time to put these crooks out of business.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Wouldn't even give it one star if the option was there. I started paying my loan with Sallie Mae over 14 years ago (using automatic payments from my bank account). NEVER missed a payment and/or NEVER been late with a payment. They recently started increasing my interest rate so NOW I have an addition 3 years added onto my estimated last payment due date. This is insane. PLEASE do not trust this company. I noticed every time I include a little extra $$ in my scheduled payment is when they increase the interest rate (to compensate for the money lost when a person pays his or her loan off early). AGAIN, this company will screw you one way or another. They have increased my interest rate over 2 points in the past year and half (in small increments every time I pay a little extra towards my principal). OH AND THEY DO NOT NOTIFY YOU WITH EACH INCREASE. WORRRSSST COMPANY EVER!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I live abroad, make the painful effort to pay off my loans every month, even though they are crippling and essentially render me unable to do anything other than go to work, pay rent and eat. Now Navient is telling me that they no longer accept credit card payments and that I have to go through a third party money wiring service to pay them, thus accruing a fee every single time. This is absurd and yet another example of Navient punishing its CUSTOMERS. They also blocked me on Facebook for criticizing them. This company needs to be burned to the ground. They prey on students and are helping to cripple an entire generation.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Navient took over for one of my loans that I'd been paying faithfully since graduating almost 10 years ago. The first few payments went through successfully, then we got an email FROM NAVIENT with a new address for us to begin sending payments. We send the next TWO PAYMENTS to that address. Suddenly, I'm getting phone calls (along with my 95 year old Great Uncle, my co-signer) saying that I'm behind by 2 payments. It took multiple 45+ minute conversations over the span of 3 or 4 days for the supervisor to finally see that my payments went to the Department of Education and NOT to Navient, even though the payments were sent to the address that Navient told us to send them to. The solution? Call the Department of Education and request a refund (around $1600), upon getting the refund, send that money BACK to Navient...

So because we followed their instructions in an email they sent, I have been getting harassed daily, along with my Great Uncle (who is already in poor health) about being behind on payments. Customer Service is a JOKE. They are rude, talk in circles, and flat out LIE. My mother has been making my loan payments for the past few years because I'm BROKE and before Navient took over for my former loan agency I was able to consent with them to speak directly with her since the money was coming out of her wallet. Navient INSISTS that it's against the law for them to speak with a third party. I asked them to provide proof of that law for my state (NC), they told me to to Google it. I Google lending laws in my state and read aloud to them the part where it says UNLESS GIVEN CONSENT BY THE LENDER. Their response? "Um, well... that's now the law I have..."

So, I ask them to provide me with any kind of link, document, web address - where are they getting this "law" from?? Nothing. Nada. Lies. They would only accept payments over the phone... When I badgered them with how irresponsible that is, given their horrible reputation, they cut me off and said "FINE, JUST SEND US A CHECK. "... I never write online reviews, let alone ones I have to create an account for... THAT'S how bad Navient is. They're also just nasty - interruptions, condescending tone (even when THEY are the ones who mess up). Just say NO TO NAVIENT.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I just spent 40 minutes with customer service at Navient. I'm not sure if I'm reaching a call center in a foreign country, but it sure feels like it. They just kept repeating my problem back to me. Putting me on hold for long periods of time. Then again repeating my problem back to me. I am a co-borrower on a loan, noticed an automatic payment was all of a sudden being split between 2 loans I have with them. For 10 years this payment was assigned to this one particular loan. I asked for them to not split the payments and allocate it to the original loan. Rocket science? No. They just couldn't wrap their heads around it. I finally hung up after 40 MINUTES of sheer futility. Stay aware from this loan company!

Original review: June 11, 2018

They are the worst when it comes to customer service. One person will tell you one thing and another person will tell you another thing. I have been dealing with this company for years and it has just gotten worst. Don't go with this company!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

In March of 2018 I contacted Navient too and was approved for the zero based income program. I gave them ALL the information they asked for. In May 2018 I started getting letters from my creditors about seriously delinquent accounts, Navient never process the paperwork and gave on my credit. Right now 166 missed payments. THEY HAVE RUIN me. Creditors are closing my accounts. My car insurance company does not want to keep me. Who fixes this??? I’m furious. They have my character ruin and I could face losing my job!!! I have children and a home to operate and this company has ruin me. I wish I could post my credit report on here. It’s going to take years to fix this mess they have created. I am taking what I have left and getting an attorney.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Awaiting response for allocation breakdown and interest feeds added. For a few months now I've been "ahead" in paying and paying more than amount due. Now suddenly my amount due is more than last month even after my payment? As if it's not bad enough to be paying this off and on for 8 years I still owe more than I ever even borrowed. :/

Original review: May 5, 2018

I had this issue last year as well. But this year it was worse. The law is that they are supposed to calculate your IBR based in your AGI (annual gross income). I submitted our application and 4 times they insisted they were calculating it correctly, yet they were skewing the numbers by calculating our last years payment on our AGI, but this year calculating on our Gross Income, so the numbers came out that even though my husband was making less money (he took a pay cut) our payment was increasing by $75 a month. Their employees don't even know what AGI is.

I had to call 10 times and insist on talking to a head supervisor who finally told me to have my husband write a self-certified letter. We haven't heard back yet and even though I tried to proactively get this figured out by starting the process two months prior to our new payment date, we are now left with 4 days to see what they are going to do. They also just lie and told me incorrect information on numerous occasions. Their employees should be well versed in tax law and know how to do their job, rather than making their customers do it for them.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I refinanced my home and cashed out, and tried to use the money to pay off my student loan balance in full. The refi company sent me a series of checks to then send to Navient. I did so, but apparently sent it to the wrong department at Navient. Rather than return the checks, they cashed them, and didn't credit my account. I called and asked what the deal was, and was told that they would have to issue a refund to the refi company, after which new checks would have to be sent to the correct department. This didn't make sense to me, but fine, whatever it takes to pay off these damn loans. A few weeks later, the refi company emailed me to tell me they had received the refund... but that it was 54k short! So a rep from the refi company and I sat on the phone with Navient for like 20 minutes trying to sort this out. It remains to be seen if and when the full refund will be issued.

So basically, I sent Navient a large sum of money, thinking I was finally free from my student loans, and simply because it was mailed to the wrong department (note: I included clear instructions and my account information with the checks), they basically just took the money for themselves. What would have happened if I had not called to ask where the hell my ~80k disappeared to?!

Original review: April 22, 2018

Navient Portfolio Management take out the sum of $315 from my paycheck and withhold crediting the money to my loan amount for over ten days, while at the same time, the interest on the loan amount and the collection fees are being adding to it daily. When I called to complain last time and threatened to speak a lawyer and my congress and senate representative for my district, they quickly credit the amount. Must I always have to call for them to stop defraud me?

Original review: April 16, 2018

So I have a loan that is outstanding. I finally got back on my feet and was fixing everything. Well I called as I had one loan that was outstanding on the online website. I was told not to worry about it and just make normal payments. Well now I have a hit against my credit for the amount that is past due, not for the total amount. I called to try to get some answer as why this is happening and that the amount I have been paying them is not going towards the outstanding amount. 1 hour later after being transferred between both departments, I was given a number as my loan is in bankruptcy. :| These people are horrible. I got nowhere. I had to leave a message at the number I was given. Most likely I will have to wait till I can find a number on my credit report and call them to take care of the issue. The customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. If I could leave negative stars I would.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I took out a Parent Plus Loan for my son about 15 years ago. I am now retired and cannot afford the high payments. Navient does not care. They refuse to do an income driven repayment plan. They refuse to do anything. When Harvey hit Houston other companies were very understanding. Navient was not. Do not use this company.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I keep a side calculation of what my loan should be compared to theirs. Theirs always higher. Got worse when I signed up for automatic monthly payments when they gave me no allocation breakdown. I was paying extra to my higher interest loan. It was scheduled to be paid off 18 months sooner than the others and with automatic payments slowing it was extending the end date. Multiple times I asked for breakdown and finally got the statements. They allocated $0 to my higher interest loan for 8 months in a row. And overcharged me .2% per loan. So misallocation. Higher interest than stated. And unexplainable extension of due dates of loans I paid extra to. About $3000 gone to their fraud. Their phone number is constant busy. I wrote them a message on my Navient account. Waiting for a reply. And wondering how I get in on this lawsuit to correct their error!

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have set up a reduced payment plan with Navient a month ago, I asked them why my "Past Due" status remains on my account, they said that it will just show up like that until I make 3 consecutive payments on time. Ok, that I understand -- fine! However, when I asked them if that "Past Due" status will make my account go to collections while I'm working with the new reduced payment plan department, they said "No." However, I have received two Delinquency Letters through their little Navient Inbox in my account and it does indeed threaten to take my information to collections. This is outrageous and this little quote from the President of Navient is not what I am seeing. "Enhancing the financial success of our customers is everything we stand for." - Jack Remondi, President and CEO

That is indeed a lie. I have been responsible enough to call Navient and tell them that I am experiencing financial hardship and my income is less than my bills right now. I never even knew of a reduced payment plan when I contacted them in the past years with financial troubles. They always told me that I had to pay approximately $100 to stay 'current' and that's rough even for someone who is already struggling. My goodness, I can't stand Navient but I am stuck with their crap until the end of my student loans.

Then some of the representatives are frustrating to work with probably because a customer cursed them out right before they had to talk to me. Everyone is irritated! The last thing Navient seems to desire is to let us know that there are indeed other opportunities to reduce our rate. You have to harass them, beg them, pray that they tell you something that will actually HELP you.

Original review: April 1, 2018

In February I sent a check to Department of Education paying off my daughter’s student loan. Navient is still showing a balance on my account. The first part of March I faxed a copy of the front and back of check to Navient showing it had been deposited by Department of Education. I also uploaded the check on my online account. Here it is April 1st and now they are asking I send an EFT transmittal form as proof of payment. There are no documents on my online account now. What happened to the fax and downloaded documents?? I want this resolved soon. Guess I am going to have to get my attorney to write them a letter. What kind of business is Navient??? Poor service and inadequate accounting.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Navient claims my interest rate increase is set by my lender not by Navient. Sallie Mae bought my private loan in 2016 from 5/3 Bank. Sallie Mae turned into Navient and pretended to be an entirely new company. Since August of 2017 my interest rate which has increased from 8.25% to 10.375% as of March 31, 2018 or to be more precise, the interest rate increases every time the principal balance is reduced by $800. Since November of 2009, I have paid twice the balance of my original loan amount of $8500. It is clear to me my interest rates will continue to increase as the principal balance of my loan decreases. I have other private loans with fixed and variable interest rates that have not increased at all, Navient is the ONLY loan service company that has increased interest rates as I pay down my loan.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have reached out to Navient twice about my data concerns and four times about my IDR. I also mailed my IDR per their request on the form. I have wrong data in my web account. There is a wrong address and phone number listed for my personal information. I tried to reach out to my Navient Account Representatives. Several never responded; **. I was first concerned because of my loan amount totals. This is why I kept trying to contact them. I mailed the IDR revision. Then, I noticed they had an address from an apartment I had in 1998. When I lived at this address, I never even took out loans or went to college. That wasn't until 2000-2001. I called the phone number in my account, which belongs to a man that lives in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. I have no association to the man or the phone number in my account.

I am very concerned about data breaches and mismanagement of data from Navient. When I emailed and asked Philip ** to help me with my concerns, he emailed me back and stated he couldn't help me because there are no records in Navient's system with my current email address. I have been using the same email for several years. The same email is correct in my web account. Therefore, why did the Navient rep not help me about my concerns about personal data? How does a wrong phone number and an address from 1998 get into my web account when I have been receiving mail to my current address?

Original review: March 22, 2018

Navient is an extremely hard company to deal with. I am a co-signer on a set of loans that were extremely past due back in 2013. I paid the accounts current in March 2014 and have kept them current. I recently asked for statements because I was in the process of refinancing with another company due to the interest rates. I got the runaround several times as to why I had not been receiving statements. When I called, the customer service person told me that they were on the website. When I asked her to walk me through the steps of finding them she admitted that she could not see them. Which is what I had been telling her all along - 20 minutes of my life wasted. I then thought it would be easier to request the info online. I was told that I was not 'signed up' to receive statements. Makes no sense because my account online was listed as paperless and my email address was correct.

It took over 3 weeks for me to receive statements. Then I had questions about fees that I was being charged. Keep in mind the accounts are current. I was told that they were late fees. I asked when was I late, prior to 2014. Why wasn't I made aware that there was still a past due balance? There was nothing on the website stating I was past due. I feel that it is this company's goal to make it hard for its customers to communicate and to get things done. If you don't know you are being charged fees, they can keep charging you which puts more money in their pockets. The lack of knowledge of their customer service team is simply unacceptable. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: March 1, 2018

You would think that after all the bad press and being sued that Navient would want to clean up their act. Not the case. After harassing my daughter, and reducing her to tears although she is a single Mom trying to survive on part time pay AND calling and threatening my 87 year old father who had co-signed her student loans... I called and arranged to make monthly payments - automatically from my bank account to stop the harassing calls and letters that I thought might put my Dad into an early grave. Cost $1,200. a year - direct to interest or fees or whatever for over 2 years - and then I negotiated a lump sum payment. The payment was LARGE. I made it on time.

In this modern day and age of computers, faxes, emails, bank transfers, Zelle etc. it is eight weeks and neither I, my daughter nor my father have gotten a satisfaction or confirmation of the loan settlement payment, breakdown of the loan payment. I have called and emailed since the 6th week that I was told I would have to wait for the money to clear (the money - cash - that came directly out of my account!) I am so angry I should have held that money out like a carrot until I had everything in writing, even the PDF's they sent me which I saved instead of printing out to save the environment, reverted to Chinese characters, and the original documents are password protected so they cannot be opened again. Never use them. If you have them ABANDON SHIP!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

If you ever get a Navient loan, just pray that you never have to actually interact with their customer service. It almost seems that Navient takes joy in trying to cause as much misery as possible while they take your money. Their customer service seems to alternate between not knowing how to solve your issues to outright telling you lies and wasting your time. There's no accountability, no one to keep them in check, they're allowed to just do what they want. I jumped through hoops trying to get a simple thing fixed on my credit report, and after all my effort and calls, all I got was an email that said they couldn't do anything about it.

They should clarify though. It's not that they couldn't do anything about it. They could have easily taken the TWO MINUTES to correct the error, but instead they chose to show me one more time how terrible their customer service is. If you have any choice in where to get your student loans from, take it from this former college student and stay away from Navient.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I am so incredibly DISGUSTED. I am a single mother of 6 children. Who makes under $20,000/year. I just got my small $3,000 tax check taken from the IRS. My check that was obviously already spent to catch up on bills & rent. I have contacted Navient NUMEROUS TIMES & the last time was 3 months ago. We made an agreement. Navient & myself. I was to pay them $600 out of my TAX REFUND, to settle my school loan for 20 years, providing I did not make over $80,000/year. Due to the school I went to being CLOSED DOWN FOR FRAUD/EMBEZZLEMENT. Which I shouldn't have to pay $16,000 for ANYWAY! Now I have No Degree, a crap-load of DEBT, & now my tiny Tax refund taken. When WE ALREADY HAD ARRANGEMENTS! I AM going to the News. I have been screwed over for the last time! I have a son in college now, & I am truly PETRIFIED for him. 1 word NAVIENT, Karma. SHE IS REAL.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Over the last few years my credit rate has been continually getting better. All my other creditors are lowering my interest rate. However, not Navient! They continue to increase my interest rates based on the fact "that they can" because I'm past the "grace" period of 10 years. In the last year my interest rate has gone from 9% to 11%! That is a 1 year time frame! And that has even been with me adding extra money onto the payments. These are student loans not credit cards! Navient should be ashamed of themselves and the way they conduct business!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I paid over 19k in student loans when I sold my house. The month prior I paid off one loan not knowing how soon I would find a new house. The next month I found a house and had to pay on that loan I had already paid off. I called a month later to ask them if I was going to receive a check back for that loan I had already paid on. I spoke to someone who told me, "Oh yes. I see that money is just sitting there." She asked me if I wanted that money distributed to different loans. I told her I would like that refunded back to me. She said, "No problem. I will send in the request. Usually takes 2-3 weeks and you'll get a letter in the mail." So I follow up 4 weeks later to see what's going on since I haven't received anything. Spoke to a guy who was confused on what I was asking about. Waited on hold for 40min until I hung up.

Called back 2 days later. I spoke to a guy who told me he would push my request through. Again saying it would be 2 weeks or so and I would get a letter in the mail. I call 3 weeks later still no response via mail or email. I find out my money was transferred to other loans that I didn't authorize. I'm a little irritated at this point so the girl tells me, "Let me have to talk to my supervisor to see if she can help at all..." I spoke to a supervisor who told me, "I'm so sorry this happened. I see it was not authorized by you. I'm getting your request for a refund and asking them to expedite it for you." She told me it would be another 2- 3 weeks. She verified my bank account number and told me it would be transferred into my account.

3 weeks go by. I call to see what's going on. I'm told now that it's too late. I can't get the refund because I haven't been making full payments between October through December and if I got the refund back it would put my loans in deferment. I talked to a supervisor who told me it would be pointless to get the refund because I would have had to pay it back anyways. I didn't have a payment due until December but I wanted to make payments during those few months anyways which I did. Then it pushed my due date out until January. He tried to tell me if they just sent them a check the money would go towards any of my loans that needed to be paid. I explained they sent individual checks for each loan and out which loan numbers they needed to pay.

That money should have came back to me. I'm not even sure where my $600 went that supposedly was split between different loans. I'm furious with this company. I originally had Sallie Mae and got transferred to this horrible company who can't train employees for ** or lie to you making you wait month after month so you can't get your own damn money back.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Negative 100. My Student loan transferred in October. Had no access to Navient yet, paid old company in October (pd extra). They have no record of the payment, sent proof multiple times, have called multiple times, always doubletalk. They have charged late fees, I have accrued interest and they are ruining my credit over something that is completely their fault. Working on getting away from them any way possible, refuse to give them another dime. I have had my loan for more than 10 years, never late, never delinquent. Would overpay for a few months and it would carry to the next payment.. This company needs to be closed down. I have been reading online about lawsuits, yet they are claiming it is unfounded. It is completely true. If you are stuck with Navient, GET OUT, any way you can!

Navient Company Information

www.navient.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business