1.01/5
Are you this business? Claim your page

663 Navient Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 12, 2019

In 2008 I was contacted by Kaplan University Online and informed about how I could go from not being a high school graduate to having a college degree (Bachelor's in Corporate Finance) in a year! Of course I signed up. After 10 days of not understanding the curriculum, I called the admin office at Kaplan. They in turn told me to withdraw that day and all of my student loans would be refunded and I would not owe anything. Now, after several attempts to contact my loan holder (Navient), they are giving me the runaround.

How could the Department of Education hold me responsible and hostage for this act of fraud. I understand that Kaplan University was purchased by Purdue University Global. They should be liable. When I send the required information to Navient, they turn around in 2 days and say Denied. Was there not a review process. Navient does not care about anything except getting the money and that don't care if it was fraud or not! It is hard to know or figure out who to contact. This has been absolutely horrible.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Not sure you have a choice in this company taking over your student loans as I didn't! I paid for a yr to get my loans out of default with ECMC then suddenly Navient takes over. They started calling my sister in law which is an invasion of my privacy & humiliating! I contacted them to get a rude man demanding 840/mo. I was only paying 140/mo previous but he was unwavering in any negotiation. I told the man I could not afford that as that is more than my mortgage. I expressed my disdain with them calling someone whose name I had never put as a alternate but that doesn't seem to matter as now they are calling my sis in law's sister asking for my number which they already have! Unethical business tactics! I am going to consult an attorney on this but beware of this company and their unethical, ruthless tactics!

Get expert buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I had student loans with Sallie Mae, and once they switched to Navient - I had enough saved as well as family assistance to pay off all my loans, and after reviewing the horror stories as well as episode of patriot act with Hasan ** on student loans - https://youtu.be/t0CyBv18A5k , Navient has to be the worst offender with harassment and poor communication with their client. I want to know why are they still in business. They need to be fired. The Government screwed up big time. I AM SO GLAD THAT I DECIDED TO PAY OFF ALL MY LOANS BEFORE I EVER EXPERIENCED NAVIENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I had two loans with Sallie Mae and my loan is with Navient. I did not even hear from them for 10 or so months because my loans were put in forbearance or deferred; however, I did not even sign anything or defer any of my loans except for my Federal Loans. After I got out of college I contacted Sallie Mae. They said I will hear from someone - I wanted to put it into some type of payment because I was and am only making about 32,000 being a teacher. I given up because it took me three years to get a teaching job and I was working as a substitute and small jobs I could get whenever possible. Two or three years later I get a notice from them that I am in default etc. etc. Not only did they have the Sallie Mae loans but also they had a loan of 9,000 dollars that is not even mine.

I talked to them the first time about the 9000 dollar loan; but they did not mention the two 20,000 loans. I told them to send me the information on the loan and wrote an official letter to them and did not hear from them. Then I find out that my Sallie Mae loans went from a 7% interest rate to a 14% interest rate but I was never once given notices that my rate had increase. I once again wrote them (and it was certified) to send information and all paperwork that was signed and filled out and once again they did not comply. Now each loan is over 40000 dollars and they have not helped me at all. I have paid off in the meantime three other student loans that were quite a bit smaller.

Right now, after talking to two representatives things are mess up even more. I was lied to both times (and I have the calls taped as they tape "for training purposes") and made two payments - both which was applied to the wrong loans. They said that if I pay them three times straight they would put me in a plan that fits my budget. I paid those payments from direct payment from my checking account and they told me I cannot be a day late for three months straight.

I looked on their website today and it says I am behind on the loans still and stop the payments out of my account and put the payment toward only one of the loans and it says the other loans are in default showing I have not put any money toward the other two loans and they said (I have it on my phone taped call) loans. I really need help and no one seems to care that students like me are getting ripped off. Thank you Republicans for turning the tables on us after Obama took the time to help students. But God knows what they are doing and God will get them for their lives.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

This company doesnt even deserve the one star I have to give them. This company is horrible and never try to work with those that at least try to make payments. We get harassing phone calls on the daily basis beginning at 8 am and lasting all day. Many times on weekends and they have even called on holidays. The people on the other end can be terribly rude and inconsiderate. You would honestly think the loans we got for school came directly out of their personal savings account. These I often wonder what do they do with people who have nothing at all or those who do not even try try to pay. What do they do about them. This company need to be looked at very closely from the state. They also need to change some things about how their customer service reps deal with clients. They should be mandated to take a class in customer service. May read the Oz Principles or something. Wow!!! The whole company is horrible!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

There is deep darkness that seeps into you when you know you have been and are being scammed and no matter where you turn to, there is no escape. Navient is a deplorable, deceitful, and devious company. Please educate yourselves before embarking on a student loan journey. I will make sure my children do not ever experience this. They purposely ruin the information you submit. They deceitfully con you out of your entitled loan forgiveness as a civil servant. Meanwhile, they make all this money off your back. I wish I could rate them a 0.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

This company will put 20 accounts on your credit for one semester of school and will knock you down real bad because of all the opens and they see you are still in school but make you go thru a deferment process and they don't care. They are the devil. If you see Navient as your learn servicer run because you are trying to better yourself by going to school and getting a degree and honestly it is worth my credit going down 30 points. They purposely do that and it's pretty sad. Then you have to fight with them to get them consolidated. They are the devil.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

They keep upping my interest rate charges from loans I took out for the now-defunct ITT Tech. My payment keeps ballooning and now my interest rate is a whopping 15.5%. Wow! That's almost criminal. What a total scam, I really don't understand how they get away with this. I'm fixing my credit up so I can refinance with a better business!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I would not even bother to give this company a star. I was put on hold three times for over 30 minutes! Not only that, I contact a customer service rep a couple of months back because my monthly payment kept changing. This customer service representative told me that it was always going to be X amount for every month only to find out 2 months later my X amount changed once again. This company does not respond back to emails and or answer any phone calls. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE OVERALL.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I would give 0 stars, if possible! Navient is trying to get the most out of students, especially those who have short term hardship and can't pay. I had to make an unexpected move across the country to help with family health issues. I put three of my loans into forbearance, each costing me $50, so $150 total. I made my regular payment in October, and in November called for forbearance. Once completed, I was told I wouldn't have to pay until February, until I saw an email yesterday saying I owed them for January. I called and they kept saying that I missed a payment (was never aware, never saw on my account, original agent never told me) and I didn't find out until today. I still can't make my payment and they were unwilling to work with me. How can a company be so unwilling to work with people who have hardship??? TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I took a student loan from Sallie Mae in 2009. Navient had replace Sallie Mae, and they starting to called me for being qualify for loan forgiveness. When I called back I be in the phone sometimes over an hour, with information has nothing to do for paying the loan or student forgiveness. It happened over 20 times. Even I asked them, "Why you calling me am qualified, then nothing new will happened." The loan showed is almost 20 times of the original loan amount. I was working two jobs at the time, and I didn't took all the amount it showing. In my credit report showing the old amount of loan from the Department of Education in specific dates, they had changed to Navient a big amount. Some of them same dates but had showed three amount of loans, by the end they throw me with a huge loan amount. Is very very sad how they manage to stress borrowers with piling them with huge debt, is really are taking people life away.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I called them today and was transferred three times before they actually found somebody who could help me (and even then I'm not confident). The last time I called, about a month ago, they transferred me *four* times. Four times. For the love of God. Not only did they transfer me four times, but they did not even do what I asked them to. They had scheduled my autopay drafts for a date near which I have a lot of other payments due, so I asked them to move my payment date ahead by one week. The woman said she would.

Fast forward to today, and they took out the whole amount on what should have been the original date, and BOOM. I'm in the red in my checking account until Friday. Thanks, Navient. Bad enough that these people never sat me down and explained exactly what I would have to pay every month, like they did with my car note. Now they are severely messing up my life and annoying me because of their extreme incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I called Navient to try and set up a payment arrangement and the guy I spoke to was the most inconsiderate, rudest, jerk I have ever dealt with. He asked me “why my co-signer can’t make a payment for me.” I replied that my uncle was my co signer and had died this year and I told him to not be rude. This guy started yelling at me that “takes offense to me saying he’s rude”... Are you kidding me “Navient”. This is the type of people you employ? The guy then told me “good luck on trying to get a payment plan!!!"

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I can't pay my loans because I can't get a good enough job to even pay rent and eat food like a normal human. The loans are sitting and collecting interest at 6.2%. If I look up my payment options, I can pay about $300 a month for 300 months and pay a total of over $80,000 on an actual $36,000 loan I took out over 8 years ago. Student loans are a rip off. Consumer beware. Go to a trade school and get into skilled labor or forever be a slave to student loans.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

After years of faithful payments on the educational loan that was shuffled from Sallie Mae to Navient, and after paying thousands of dollars in interest, I was encouraged to get a pre-approved email offer to refinance my loan using NaviReFi. I applied using the offer code and was promptly denied. Further, I noticed that my variable rate recently increased (right about the time I got close to paying off the majority of the interest charges I've incurred over the last 12 years). This company is a disgrace and a rip off. It's shameful that this is the tolerated standard for EDUCATIONAL LOANS.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I made a rather large payment to pay off the balance of my loan. The payment was posted to an old bank account, which had been removed from my Navient portal years ago. I received an alert from my bank about the pending request. After speaking with three different customer service reps, including a "manager" and a "supervisor", I was accused of selecting the incorrect account from which to make the payment (an account which, to do this day, I still cannot see in my portal). The "manager" can see the account in question and insists there is no way that this could be an error on Navient's side. The only way payment could be drawn from that account was if I had manually done so. I have proof of the account I made the payment from, and it does not match the account that the payment was drawn from. When I mentioned this, I was told I was "mistaken".

I asked to have the payment stopped and was told that once a payment is entered, it cannot be stopped or reversed. Two people told me the payment was still pending, while the third told me that the payment has already posted, 2 days ago. While on the phone, I checked the portal. The payment still shows pending. When asked how long it can take for the portal to be updated, I was told that it's instant. I asked about the discrepancy and was told that I must be mistaken, because the payment isn't pending, it's posted. I offered to show them a screenshot of my screen and was told that a screenshot would not be proof of what I'm seeing.

On a side note, I deal with issues like this at work on a weekly basis, and any payment that hasn't been posted can absolutely be stopped by the merchant (which would be Navient). After explaining that drawing an unauthorized payment from an unauthorized account is fraud, especially given the merchant's refusal to reverse said payment, I was met with silence, then asked how a scheduled payment made through their portal can be fraud. That question is not only disappointing, but very telling. This is complete incompetence by "customer service" and "supervisors and managers", and fraud by the company as a whole. I had to call my bank and have them put a note on my account not to authorize this payment because it is fraudulent.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I contacted Navient by phone about paying off the smallest of the two consolidated loans in its entirety and making a regular payment on the larger loan ahead of the forbearance date in November. After going through 3 levels of account representatives I was assured that my payment would apply to the smallest of the two consolidated loans and pay it off in full. That would have saved me approximately $45 per month which I could have applied to the principal on the larger loan. I later learned that they applied the amount to the largest loan so I still have two consolidated loans with Navient. I believe Navient deliberately misdirecting my payments in order to prevent me from paying off the smaller of the two consolidated loans. When I contacted them by phone on 10/15/2018 and described the problem, the representative was unresponsive. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was put on hold and eventually had to hang up after about 30 minutes.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I am the co-signer on a loan taken out by my niece. The loan is paid by automatic deduction, yet they keep calling me saying the loan is not being paid. I am getting about 5-6 calls a day from them and am tired of it.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I took out a student loan for about $7600 in 2007. I have been making payments on this loan for about 10 years now. The payments that I've made total over 11,000 but my principal balance has gone down by only $2,000. They keep raising the interest rate so the amount of your loan attributed to the principal never gets higher. They don't inform you when the interest goes up. You have to remember to log in and check if it's gone up. They also don't let you know there may be a payment plan available that will get you out of debt sooner.

I downloaded my entire loan history going back to the disbursement of the loans in 2007. In 2009, 2010, 2011 and some of 2012, the entire payment went toward interest. I contacted the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau about Navient. I am going to review the payment history in relationship to the interest rate increases and see if they charged the right amount of interest. I also refinanced this loan at 5% instead of the 11.5% Navient is charging. I do not believe that I would ever get this loan paid off if I didn't refinance so the interest rate keeps going up.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

When the interest rate on my private loan from Navient went up to 10.35%, I knew I had to refinance. In order to do so, my new lender requested a 30 day payoff statement from Navient. Apparently this has to be generated with a phone call and is not available online. When I called, the woman I spoke to told me it would be available within a few minutes in my email. Perfect! Only problem was that I never got it. Called again and spoke to a man who told me this information was incorrect and that I would get it in 24-48 hours in my inbox, not my email. Perfect! Only problem is I didn't get it after 2, 3, 4 days.

Called again and spoke to a woman who was very apologetic and she said she'd take care of it right away for me. Went over the account number, made sure it was the correct one, and told me I'd be receiving it the next day. Next day, I got an email saying a document was available. Perfect! Only problem was that it was for the wrong loan! Not even close to the same one and not a private loan. Just called for the fourth time, told the woman my situation, and was put on hold for 30 minutes before she came back and told me it was all set and I'd get it tomorrow. Will I? Who knows at this point, but with nearly $5 interest accruing by the day on this ridiculous, credit card-like level loan, I'm almost convinced this is a conspiracy to get as much interest out of me because they know I'm refinancing. Very displeased with this company and their robbery. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

They're predatory and absolutely unhelpful. You're better off researching ways of taking care of your loans than reaching out to them. They push forbearance on you so the loan increases. Terrible TERRIBLE company.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Sallie Mae changed their name to Navient so they could extort more money from students all over the nation. Their 'Debt Collectors' are idiots who do Navient's Dirty-Work. I called my attorney and lo and behold, as soon as I mentioned Navient's Vice President they immediately started laughing and told me to ignore him. Since Navient is a well-known scammer, don't think they can sue you. If they send you one of those 'Litigation Reviews', crumble it up and throw it away. I've had friends who were threatened by these morons and guess what? No one got sued. If you want to give them some headaches, do what Lawyers suggest to do when it comes to Debt-Collectors from Navient. Send them a certified letter asking to validate every cent that you owe.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Navient is the worse company ever and since they took over from Sallie Mae it’s been nothing but HELL. Their customer service is the worse and they don’t are not willing to help the customers. Stay away from this company!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

After graduating high school in 2016, my parents convinced me to try one semester. Unfortunately I didn't have the money, and I needed exactly $1,200. I didn't enjoy college, and backed out. Leaving me with a loan of $1,256 including interest. 6 Months passed, and it was time to pay my loan off. Over the phone I agreed to pay $314/ month for 4 months (starting in April 2017, and ending July 2017). Payments were made in full and on-time, and Navient and I were done. The story doesn't end there though.

Almost a year later in March of 2018, I received a call from Capital One saying they were suspending my card due to multiple bad credit reports on my account. Checked my credit score, which was a whopping 325, and I can't even move out now due to my credit. I had several bad credit reports from Navient over the span of the year after I paid my loan off in full. Immediately I decided to call them absolutely furious, because it literally maked no sense.

According to Navient I still owed them a magical number of $564 for literally no reason. I've pulled the loan documents from the school ($1,200/$1,256 with interest). I still have my four letters from Navient (charging me $314 each totaling to my loan of $1,256). I also have four bank statements of me paying them the $314/ month on-time for four months. Long story short, Navient ruined my credit score, for some reason I still owe them $564, and I have multiple forms of proof stating I should be done with this "fantastic" company, also they're customer service is terrible, and wouldn't tell me where the elusive $564 came from.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

In June of 2010 I co-sign for a student loan in my daughter's name. For the past 8 years if she was so much as a day to 3 days behind Navient would call me in addition to sending a paper bill through the mail to my address. With eight full years of payments made and only three payments left my daughter mistakenly skipped a payment. I was never notified with a phone call or a paper correspondence through the mail. I never authorized nor was I made aware that they would no longer be calling me that they would send one correspondence to an old email address that went to the spam file.

Their past practices of 8 years was always to call and I always paid with only $400 left on the entire student loan bill in which I was more than able to pay they reported me to the credit bureaus and over 100 points was taking off of my credit score with never even speaking to me on the phone. When my Discover card set me notification for a bill that was passed due and I called and paid the balance off they treated me, as if I was a derelict. And they refuse to remove this from my credit report even after I explained to them I never received notification or a phone call as their past practices have been for 8 years.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Being disabled and living on SSDI is not by choice. Life and medical circumstances can be challenging to our lives in many ways, many times. Navient repeatedly denied receiving any forms submitted, repeatedly. Forms submitted requiring signature? The office stated they had no idea who signed but they did not receive. I had faxed, emails, and sent certified mail all necessary forms.

It appears Navient’s intention was to default the loan in a manner allowing funds paid to be retained by the company... Even the history on my credit report is sporadic and inconsistent. My credit report shows regular payment, then months missed, then payments made, then instant 120 day past due. Navient essentially refused to accept anything I submitted. Later I learned how I had been misdirected or counseled incorrectly initially also.

I hope and pray a lawsuit occurs in Texas as in several other states now. It seems the same negative and illegal actions were performed repeatedly. My credit is ruined solely by Navient’s incorrect and manipulated reporting. Because the company has continued changing business names, I have continued finding contact impossible. Beginning in January 2018 Navient started deducting 300 per month from my predetermined living expense amount SSDI check per a change and allowance by our President, if I understand correctly.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Navient is absolutely criminal. I have spent the last 4 1/2 years paying all of my monthly payments on time and always over the minimum payment due. My interest rate has consistently increased during the life of my loan without any notification ever. And by last month it was over 12%. I have made several calls to Navient regarding my interest rate increase over the years, and every time I have gotten the same rehearsed useless answers. The customer service is horrific and useless, and really makes you feel helpless.

I decided last month to finally get rid of Navient and refinance my student loans with College Ave, and that was probably the best thing I could've done for myself. They were quick with responses, clear with details, and so easy to work with. I am now paying a much more reasonable amount each month, with a fixed 5.4% interest rate. If you are looking into student loans, please do not make the same mistake I did. Navient is honestly one of the worst companies and will ruin your life if you let them. I strongly advise looking elsewhere if you are considering taking out student loans.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

If I could give Navient 1/2 a star I would. My issue with this company stems from my monthly payment for July 2018. My payments are due on the 27th of every month. I scheduled my payment through my bank's bill payment system on July 27. However, by August 1 or 2 I realized that my account showed a past due balance. I called their customer service and a lady I spoke with was quite presumptuous and condescending. But I stuck it out and made my case that I don't understand why it should take Navient so much time to update my account when other accounts I paid through my bank's bill pay on that same August 27 had updated already. The young lady convinced me that it can take up to 4 business days for payments to update. I was not convinced but I ended the call.

On August 6, my account still showed a past due balance so I called again. This time I was fuming at the rep but she was surprisingly calm and effective. She found out that my payment was in a SUSPENSE ACCOUNT; that the payment had been sent to the wrong address. She promised me it will take a few days to correct the mishap. Another week goes by, nothing happens, then another week goes by. So I decided to schedule my August payment on Navient's website. The payment was scheduled for August 24, an amount of $252.47 then my July payment was finally processed on August 31. What really pissed me off is Navient applied ALL of my August payment as interests and $161 of the July payment as interests. This means I paid a total of $413 in interests for two months when I should be paying approximately $300 in interests for two months.

I called the company on 9/5/18 to have it resolved. I requested to speak with a supervisor. A guy gave me his name as James **. This guy basically told me there was NOTHING Navient could do. I'd asked him to adjust my July payment to the date the money got to a "different" address since it was obvious that the money was not with me or I could not make the payment. He wanted to tell me he was sorry blah blah blah. I told him point blank that I don't need an apology, I needed the issue fixed so that I'm not made to pay over $100 extra in interests.

This James ** guy basically insulted my intelligence by saying I don't understand what he was telling me. I asked to speak with his boss or someone who can fix my problem and this guy continued to give me a runaround. Finally he said he will send a note to the treasury department to have someone look at it but there was no guarantee that my request could be honored. So I asked him to call that someone in the treasury so that it would be a three way call so that we can resolve the issue. James ** again told me that is not how things are done. REALLY? I cannot possibly narrate my whole encounter here because of how long it was but in a nutshell, Navient SUCKS and I'm not surprised it has so many lawsuits.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I am down to my last three payments and have made the same payments for roughly 10 years. When I logged into my account today, the total due was nearly double what I've been paying. I just called to find out why? Couldn't understand anything or get any clear information. After roughly an hour on the phone -- still no clue as to why?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

This company replaced Sallie Mae so I had no say in choosing it. This company has the worst business ethics that I’ve ever dealt with. They are constantly changing the set pay amount, you look and all of a sudden you have a late notice. While no indication, notification or reason of why/when the change is happening. Lack of communication and unethical business practices run rampant. My suggestion to anyone would be to avoid Navient at all cost!!

Navient Company Information