2. Education
  3. Student Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Navient Reviews

Original review: May 21, 2019

I really have not dealt with them until Sallie Mae sold my consolidated loan to Navient. I had to be persistent with them about getting a payment plan that I could afford. Found out I qualified for the Income Driven Repayment plan.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I don't have a lot of experience with Navient because Sallie Mae serviced the loans for most of the time I had them (2001-2016.) But I didn't experience any issues with Navient and thought the website was easy to use. My loans were all subsidized Stanford loans, so the loan limits and interest rates were set by the government.

Get expert buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My loan was originally with Sallie Mae. When Navient came into the picture, they offered several repayment options, allowing one to choose the plan best suited for them. When my income fell below a certain threshold, payments were suspended until sufficient income was attained. I can't begin to tell you how beneficial that was to my particular circumstance. A truly considerate and fair company!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

This company is immoral and reprehensible. Their CS is the most inept and pathetic of any company in any industry I have ever had to deal with. The advocate 866-432-7939 line is typically not answered. Filing complaints with the DOE is the ONLY way to get any movement out of Navient. They've "accidentally, misplaced my entire account history" when I lawyered up. This company cares about dollars and not people. I tried overpaying my loans and that over-payment became my new minimum. My payments aren't being applied as I have requested on NUMEROUS occasions. If you want to talk with anyone at CS or advocacy, GFL. You've got a better chance of hooking up Eminem with Mariah Carey again! PATHETIC AND WORTHLESS.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

The absolute worst loan company ever. If I could go back in time and not go to school just not to have this loan it would be worth it. They do not care about their customers and if you miss a payment they will not do anything to help you. Avoid at all cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I published an article on 2/24/2015 on Westwood college, a school that was shut down and the degree obtained was worth garbage. Because I have been fighting for 5 years to my loan servicer Navient/ Sallie Mae to discharge the $65,000 loan for an Associates degree worth NOTHING -NON ACCREDITED OR TRANSFERABLE I heed the warning of watch every word before you sign. The interest on private loans starting 3/05/2011 at $10,000 is currently $9360 after 11/29/2019 at $3.00 per day. I was put on Administrative forbearance till 3/2029 as I am STILL FIGHTING THIS & How much interest will that be??? It is insane that they can corrupt your life for trying to better yourself.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Navient needs to invest in training their employees. They give incorrect information 99% of the time. They also need to invest in updating their website to provide consistent information for the customers and employees. On a number of occasions I’ve made payments on specific loans, however, their site allocated the funds incorrectly, so I’ve had to call and submit an email/ticket online to have this corrected manually. Instead of them fixing the issue, their solution is to keep calling and putting in a ticket online so they can manually adjust each time. This is so inefficient.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

These people are thieves! I've been paying more than I should be for over 10 years. I just asked to be put on forbearance for one month and they wanna charge me a $150. I pay you $500 a month and I am never late for over 10 years. You tell me you can’t help me. Really I see why people are not paying back loans. On top of that why is my interest look like it never going down. I really think the lawsuits in other states need to be examined by the government! I’m pretty sure shady things are going on with this company. I can’t believe you can’t change your payment day or be out on hold for one month. This is craziness!

Wasn’t like I was asking to take interest off. Look how many people come out of college can’t even pay their loan. Their customer service is the worst. I wish there was another company that you could actually deal with. My loan was sold to these people. I did not take out a loan with them. If you can don’t ever ever use them. I would rather owe anyone else in the world. And on top of it the spam calls are outrageous from these people as well as the amount of mail they send you!!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I have been paying my school loans for 9 years now and the longer I pay it, the worst the customer service gets... I have talked to a manager that instead of giving me the number to the federal and educational department he gave me the number to a hotline for uncontrollable crying and laughing (you can’t make this up). That was to see if I could put the payments on hold because I was going back to school. More on that later.

Right now is the all time low. I have been on reduced interest rate this whole time because I literally can’t afford the outrageous monthly payment they want me to pay. But every 6 months they FORCE me to pay more (increase the interest rate). I am trying to pay $535 a month and they told me it is not enough my only options are $620 or over $1,000 a month. So I have to choose between rent and food or default on my loan. I started at $160,000 have been stuck at $133,000 for the past 4 years because I went back to school this time on a scholarship. But because the school was a bible school and non-accredited they forced me to pay while I was in school. And the amount has not gone down even though I have been paying the whole time. But none of that matters to them. To them you are just a number. Literally my money goes to my tithe, them, and gas money. They take majority of my money which should be illegal.

They should only be able to take a percentage of your paycheck not the whole thing. I am trying to pay my school loan and they will NOT let me because it is cutting into their profits so I have no way of paying and they are forcing me to default. Not to mention the degree I have has not opened up any doors for me and has not provided any financial advancements. Getting a 17 year old to sign off an a private loan should be illegal (that was salle Mae, now Navient are the vultures trying to cash in on it.). I had no idea what any of this stuff meant, I was just told I needed to go to a “good” college after high school. I can’t express the level of stress I have gone through dealing with them. Every time I call it’s at least 30 mins being sent to all these different people and having to repeat the same info over and over again. If I could take legal action against them I would do it in a heartbeat.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

My student loans were with Wells Fargo years ago and they sold my loans to Navient. I have been paying faithfully above and beyond each month for years. I make at least $50-$100 extra on my monthly payments each month and even extra payments if I have extra $. It seems my balance never goes down. I contacted them asking where my extra payment is going to. Her response was interest and then she said, "I mean principal." She couldn't even tell me the difference. I believe they are misrepresenting themselves; they lie and misallocate payments. After the phone call, I advised that any extra payments needs to go to principal. They are cheats and liars. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Navient Company Information