2. Education
  3. Student Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.76/5

Navient offers and services federal and private student loans for qualified applicants. It allows students to manage their accounts via its website, providing access to educational tools and budgeting spreadsheets. Its rates are determined by Congress, but it offers a discount for students who set up automatic payments. Borrowers can pay on the website, over the phone or by mail.

Navient Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Got a loan to go back to school in 2003, 17 years later the prices are double and I can’t afford to pay it back. So my credit is ruined from this company. Do not recommend them as a lender, too high.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I feel that student service providers although a business can be more understanding that a huge amount of students with huge amounts of loans cannot find a job within their own degrees to justify the cost of their education. They do this because we are all taught only losers don’t go to school, so we try and invest in ourselves and after the dust settles we find that people’s with associates degrees are doing the jobs that use to require bachelors and higher and they are doing it for a much lower salary than ever before. They should be more helpful when it comes to qualifying for salary based repayment.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

After hearing several horror stories regarding student loans recently I remembered my own story with Navient. I was lucky enough that my employer would pay up to 30,000 towards student loans during your first 6 years of employment. In order to get the max $5,000 a year the payment had to be at least $417 a month. So I raised my payment to get that max benefit. When the 6 years was up I still owed $16,000 ish in student loans. Well navient refused to come up with an acceptable plan for me. I wanted to pay less than $417 because I lived in Northen VA (one of the most expensive areas in the entire country) and my condo cost more than most people's large homes.

The point being, with my job no longer covering my loans, I still had my mortgage, car payment, and I wanted the payment down to no more than $250 a month. They refused and the best they could come up with was to pay $315 a month for two years but then my payment would go up to over $700 a month. Are they insane? I was willing to pay my loans but people have other living expenses other than their student loans. So I took out a TSP loan and paid them off. I paid that loan off in 4 years and paid myself back. Screw you navient.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I have been paying my student loans for 20 years. My loans have been transferred from servicer to servicer. Navient is the most recent one. These loans have been a major hurdle for any financial savings. Student loans are “bad” debt.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I took out $60,000 in student loans from Navient, have been paying them off over the last eight years and my balance is literally $61,000. I have literally paid almost $30,0000 to Navient. This company treats me like they have never received money from me and continually plays games. Hence they are consistently getting sued, how this company can continue to operate in this manner is alarming. How I have a overall balance higher than what I received in funds initially is interesting.

The company has ridiculous interest rates and thinks that decreasing the monthly payment by only $50 is going to help struggling borrowers. They will not work with you unless you have a job, and their refinance option only applies to people who are employed and make $50,000 or higher. The company expects you to come up with the ridiculous monthly payment by any means necessary and will transfer you to multiple departments where you have to repeat the conversation concerning your loans.

They pretend to work with you and will have you and your cosigner waste your time answering questions about why you can't make payments, will process your application pretending to work with you in a rational manner. Only to reject your decreased loan payments or offer a new monthly amount that is no different than what you are requesting temporary relief from. I would not suggest anyone take out loans with a company that refuses to work with borrowers' employment.

Original review: July 17, 2020

They're not keeping their words on stopped payments for covid 19. They told me I didn't qualify and during this crazy pandemic they call me Daily to collect payments even if I pay.... They can care less about what written law is nationwide. They don't honor covid 19 exceptions.

Original review: July 3, 2020

This has been a complete joke. I have no idea who owns my student loans! These crooks can’t tell me why I am paying $75 out of $100 in interest. They tell me I’m paying 2% interest! What? I’ll never give them another penny!

Original review: June 18, 2020

Initially I had no problems with NaviRefi. I had a seamless experience while repaying my loans and had none of the mentioned problems with payments or overpaying and allocating where the funds should go. However, I stupidly just noticed they have been continuing an automatic payment of $189.78 from my bank account for the past 17 months. My fault I didn't notice it sooner, but really it's inexcusable on their part. I contacted them to ask if they had record of the payments and received a reply that they have received no payments from me. However, I received a 2019 tax form showing interest paid for that year. Interest on what? My loans were repaid in full in October 2018. I have filed a claim with my bank who will be pursuing this.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Navient has consistently been the worst experience of my loan repayment process. Let's be honest here, loan repayment can suck after student loans become due even in the best circumstances. Navient however seems hell bent on making every inch of the process a tooth and claw fight to get rid of these things. They respond to some government processes and not others. Their website consistently does not work. Their app consistently does not work. Their customer support is often aimed at getting more money out of you instead of acting as the "servicer" they attempt to classify themselves as.

If you EVER find one of your loans in their grubby mitts, pay it off as quickly as humanly possible. Keep every scrap of paper and documentation you can. Do not trust their website to do it for you. Do not expect to be able to keep your records there. They will spend every moment trying to engineer your repayment to garner themselves another dollar.

If you have to refinance it. Hell, knowing what I do now, I would almost pay it off with a credit card! That's literally the worst idea ever, and it still sounds good after my experiences. At least a credit card follows SOME standard of how to treat their clients, and has laws in place to guard you as a consumer. If you can refinance it, or procure a private loan from a credit union or bank, do it.

Original review: May 23, 2020

Loans are applied for with the understanding it will be paid, why won't Navient agree to a settlement? All they care for is the interest and late fees. Sad Sad company. Sorry for students who have to use them.

Navient Company Information