2.84/5

670 Navient Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

After graduating high school in 2016, my parents convinced me to try one semester. Unfortunately I didn't have the money, and I needed exactly $1,200. I didn't enjoy college, and backed out. Leaving me with a loan of $1,256 including interest. 6 Months passed, and it was time to pay my loan off. Over the phone I agreed to pay $314/ month for 4 months (starting in April 2017, and ending July 2017). Payments were made in full and on-time, and Navient and I were done. The story doesn't end there though.

Almost a year later in March of 2018, I received a call from Capital One saying they were suspending my card due to multiple bad credit reports on my account. Checked my credit score, which was a whopping 325, and I can't even move out now due to my credit. I had several bad credit reports from Navient over the span of the year after I paid my loan off in full. Immediately I decided to call them absolutely furious, because it literally maked no sense.

According to Navient I still owed them a magical number of $564 for literally no reason. I've pulled the loan documents from the school ($1,200/$1,256 with interest). I still have my four letters from Navient (charging me $314 each totaling to my loan of $1,256). I also have four bank statements of me paying them the $314/ month on-time for four months. Long story short, Navient ruined my credit score, for some reason I still owe them $564, and I have multiple forms of proof stating I should be done with this "fantastic" company, also they're customer service is terrible, and wouldn't tell me where the elusive $564 came from.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

In June of 2010 I co-sign for a student loan in my daughter's name. For the past 8 years if she was so much as a day to 3 days behind Navient would call me in addition to sending a paper bill through the mail to my address. With eight full years of payments made and only three payments left my daughter mistakenly skipped a payment. I was never notified with a phone call or a paper correspondence through the mail. I never authorized nor was I made aware that they would no longer be calling me that they would send one correspondence to an old email address that went to the spam file.

Their past practices of 8 years was always to call and I always paid with only $400 left on the entire student loan bill in which I was more than able to pay they reported me to the credit bureaus and over 100 points was taking off of my credit score with never even speaking to me on the phone. When my Discover card set me notification for a bill that was passed due and I called and paid the balance off they treated me, as if I was a derelict. And they refuse to remove this from my credit report even after I explained to them I never received notification or a phone call as their past practices have been for 8 years.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Being disabled and living on SSDI is not by choice. Life and medical circumstances can be challenging to our lives in many ways, many times. Navient repeatedly denied receiving any forms submitted, repeatedly. Forms submitted requiring signature? The office stated they had no idea who signed but they did not receive. I had faxed, emails, and sent certified mail all necessary forms.

It appears Navient’s intention was to default the loan in a manner allowing funds paid to be retained by the company... Even the history on my credit report is sporadic and inconsistent. My credit report shows regular payment, then months missed, then payments made, then instant 120 day past due. Navient essentially refused to accept anything I submitted. Later I learned how I had been misdirected or counseled incorrectly initially also.

I hope and pray a lawsuit occurs in Texas as in several other states now. It seems the same negative and illegal actions were performed repeatedly. My credit is ruined solely by Navient’s incorrect and manipulated reporting. Because the company has continued changing business names, I have continued finding contact impossible. Beginning in January 2018 Navient started deducting 300 per month from my predetermined living expense amount SSDI check per a change and allowance by our President, if I understand correctly.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Navient is absolutely criminal. I have spent the last 4 1/2 years paying all of my monthly payments on time and always over the minimum payment due. My interest rate has consistently increased during the life of my loan without any notification ever. And by last month it was over 12%. I have made several calls to Navient regarding my interest rate increase over the years, and every time I have gotten the same rehearsed useless answers. The customer service is horrific and useless, and really makes you feel helpless.

I decided last month to finally get rid of Navient and refinance my student loans with College Ave, and that was probably the best thing I could've done for myself. They were quick with responses, clear with details, and so easy to work with. I am now paying a much more reasonable amount each month, with a fixed 5.4% interest rate. If you are looking into student loans, please do not make the same mistake I did. Navient is honestly one of the worst companies and will ruin your life if you let them. I strongly advise looking elsewhere if you are considering taking out student loans.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

If I could give Navient 1/2 a star I would. My issue with this company stems from my monthly payment for July 2018. My payments are due on the 27th of every month. I scheduled my payment through my bank's bill payment system on July 27. However, by August 1 or 2 I realized that my account showed a past due balance. I called their customer service and a lady I spoke with was quite presumptuous and condescending. But I stuck it out and made my case that I don't understand why it should take Navient so much time to update my account when other accounts I paid through my bank's bill pay on that same August 27 had updated already. The young lady convinced me that it can take up to 4 business days for payments to update. I was not convinced but I ended the call.

On August 6, my account still showed a past due balance so I called again. This time I was fuming at the rep but she was surprisingly calm and effective. She found out that my payment was in a SUSPENSE ACCOUNT; that the payment had been sent to the wrong address. She promised me it will take a few days to correct the mishap. Another week goes by, nothing happens, then another week goes by. So I decided to schedule my August payment on Navient's website. The payment was scheduled for August 24, an amount of $252.47 then my July payment was finally processed on August 31. What really pissed me off is Navient applied ALL of my August payment as interests and $161 of the July payment as interests. This means I paid a total of $413 in interests for two months when I should be paying approximately $300 in interests for two months.

I called the company on 9/5/18 to have it resolved. I requested to speak with a supervisor. A guy gave me his name as James **. This guy basically told me there was NOTHING Navient could do. I'd asked him to adjust my July payment to the date the money got to a "different" address since it was obvious that the money was not with me or I could not make the payment. He wanted to tell me he was sorry blah blah blah. I told him point blank that I don't need an apology, I needed the issue fixed so that I'm not made to pay over $100 extra in interests.

This James ** guy basically insulted my intelligence by saying I don't understand what he was telling me. I asked to speak with his boss or someone who can fix my problem and this guy continued to give me a runaround. Finally he said he will send a note to the treasury department to have someone look at it but there was no guarantee that my request could be honored. So I asked him to call that someone in the treasury so that it would be a three way call so that we can resolve the issue. James ** again told me that is not how things are done. REALLY? I cannot possibly narrate my whole encounter here because of how long it was but in a nutshell, Navient SUCKS and I'm not surprised it has so many lawsuits.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I am down to my last three payments and have made the same payments for roughly 10 years. When I logged into my account today, the total due was nearly double what I've been paying. I just called to find out why? Couldn't understand anything or get any clear information. After roughly an hour on the phone -- still no clue as to why?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

This company replaced Sallie Mae so I had no say in choosing it. This company has the worst business ethics that I’ve ever dealt with. They are constantly changing the set pay amount, you look and all of a sudden you have a late notice. While no indication, notification or reason of why/when the change is happening. Lack of communication and unethical business practices run rampant. My suggestion to anyone would be to avoid Navient at all cost!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

More difficult to work with than Sallie Mae. Calls are made to an overseas service, service workers are difficult to understand and have yet to understand my requests without several repeats. Payments are higher with Navient than with Sallie Mae. Be cautious... whenever they reassure me none of my requests affect my credit rating - my score takes a little.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I've been with Navient, before they became Navient when they were Sallie Mae. Lately this year I've had nothing but problems with my loan and bad customer service with this loan company. I made a mistake in my life by getting this loan, I've come to accept that and I've owned up to my responsibility by make my payment on time for the past 4 years but, unfortunately I have low income and cannot survive and make the original payments of 215.00 payments. So I was accepted into the rate reduction program and set up auto payment and haven't missed a payment. Fast forwarding to May of 2018 I called in to do my financial so that I could continue on this rate program. I was advised it wasn't available at this time, and that to call back at the end of June when my program was done to set it back up. I called back after my "last payment in the rate program."

Also, they advised me I wouldn't have to do my financial again since it was already done. They advised me at that time again it was "available." After asking why they wouldn't give me an explanation. Then, they proceeded to say I don't have a payment due till Sept 2018. I questions how was that and that I didn't want this to affect my credit when in fact a payment would be due... I called back a couple times and they told me the same thing so I took their word. So, I called back today because I received an email that said I have a payment of 156.00 due Sept 5th. I called because I wanted to see about changing the due date, because for the past couple years I was used to the payment Auto Drafting at the end of the month, which is financial better for me.

Spoke with a lady in the rate reduction program, and she then advised me that my payments in Oct will increase to 215.00. I advised her of all the info above and that I should be on the rate program, advised her that financial I cannot make those payments. She told me my type of "loan" isn't eligible when I've had the same loan all these years! I'm very upset because I've worked so hard to make sure Navient is getting paid and that I don't let this affect my credit. Now, I asked to speak to manager and she didn't have any sympathy nor empathy to my situation.

I CANNOT believe it's not 1 program out there that they have in place to help people that want to make payments but need assistance! All these years of making a payment gone down the drain because a company won't assist. She told me that the lender is not obligated to assistance people in need. I'm HIGHLY frustrated, and if I had the money to get out this loan this would be they would be my first debt I would pay off. And this is the main reason why I'm so scared to return back to school because I hate to be put in a situation like this where there is ZERO help, ZERO sympathy! My hopes in writing this is for the right person to see my pain and frustration and either help in any way or something be done about this company. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

This company is horrible. They have hardly any payment options, and I refuse to use a bank account. They use to offer credit card payments, with an enormous fee, but they got rid of that option. They seem like a very greedy company and very inconvenient. It's pretty sad when a collection agency is easier to work with.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have documents from bank payoff and check copies. Navient received check and applied 3 days later after bank disbursed check. They are telling me 10 years later that there was a 55 (1st girl) principal balance. I talked to a supervisor which then said it wasn't 55. It was 240. Now balance is over 400 from March 2018. I called again. They said no one can help me because the idiot manager put notes and she supposedly is giving me a deal. All 3 persons told me that if this has happening to them they would be very upset but they could not help me.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Terrible company. I have been trying to get the school to refund my loan for years, that’s a whole other battle over lost emails, paperwork, the person I was dealing with left and nothing can be retrieved. I recently had my loan put into forbearance by Navient because the school is finally starting to work with me, but since then Navient decided to send credit bureaus my loan is delinquent by 90-119 days, that dropped my TransUnion 78 points and my Equifax 50 point. If you need assistance with a school loan by all means do not use this company. They are not out to help you at all. I have in the past tried to get the school and Navient to speak to each other with no success, I just wanted the school to confirm to Navient that I am trying to work this out. To give an idea what Navient has done to my score I was on the closer side of 700’s. Now one of my scores is 545 and the other is around 575. Navient is a life destroyer. DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I was basically "encouraged' into doing their auto pay since I had delinquent payments. Okay fine, I'm cool with that. One year later, it's just not working. I need the flexibility of a non auto draft. So I turn off auto pay. At first they stopped, then the auto draft started again. Okay, it was unexpected, but our budget could cover it. I turn it off again. It happens again. I tell them on a call to stop it. It happens again. I send an email and turn it off again on my online profile with them. It happens again, this time overdrafting our account and taking our grocery money. I send an email and yet again have to click off autodraft on the page. I get an email confirming this. They did it again, and overdrafted us... again. I go and turn off autodraft one more time.

A week after overdrafting us they do a "retry payment." Overdrafting us once more. I finally called our bank and filed a claim with them. Our money was returned, the overdraft canceled, and we now have a stop payment for Navient. I will be sending them money orders from now on, as they can't be trusted with our account. And don't even get me started on refusing to work with me for income based plans. That would be a whole extra post...

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I received an unwanted marketing text blast. I called a company asking very nicely for support and an explanation in their process for text blasts. A very rude and defensively angry man, named Alan, said the best he could do was mark my name for removal. I am on the do not call list and would like to know who was responsible for making sure those numbers did not get included in their text blasts. He said it was him and he hung up on me. What good is the DNC list if business people like this are able to ignore it?

Original review: July 27, 2018

I'm a cosigner and I've been in contact with Navient concerning my loans because at the end of the year they stop taking payments from the trustee. Sallie Mae just forced us into this very high interest rate with this company who all seem like they don't have a clue about anything. When I got in touch with the advocate office, they did the same thing. No one has any answers but are quick to threaten me about payments that they didn't receive because they rejected them and sent it back to the trustee. Now I have my hard earned money stuck with the court. It's time to put these crooks out of business.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Wouldn't even give it one star if the option was there. I started paying my loan with Sallie Mae over 14 years ago (using automatic payments from my bank account). NEVER missed a payment and/or NEVER been late with a payment. They recently started increasing my interest rate so NOW I have an addition 3 years added onto my estimated last payment due date. This is insane. PLEASE do not trust this company. I noticed every time I include a little extra $$ in my scheduled payment is when they increase the interest rate (to compensate for the money lost when a person pays his or her loan off early). AGAIN, this company will screw you one way or another. They have increased my interest rate over 2 points in the past year and half (in small increments every time I pay a little extra towards my principal). OH AND THEY DO NOT NOTIFY YOU WITH EACH INCREASE. WORRRSSST COMPANY EVER!

Original review: July 18, 2018

I live abroad, make the painful effort to pay off my loans every month, even though they are crippling and essentially render me unable to do anything other than go to work, pay rent and eat. Now Navient is telling me that they no longer accept credit card payments and that I have to go through a third party money wiring service to pay them, thus accruing a fee every single time. This is absurd and yet another example of Navient punishing its CUSTOMERS. They also blocked me on Facebook for criticizing them. This company needs to be burned to the ground. They prey on students and are helping to cripple an entire generation.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Navient took over for one of my loans that I'd been paying faithfully since graduating almost 10 years ago. The first few payments went through successfully, then we got an email FROM NAVIENT with a new address for us to begin sending payments. We send the next TWO PAYMENTS to that address. Suddenly, I'm getting phone calls (along with my 95 year old Great Uncle, my co-signer) saying that I'm behind by 2 payments. It took multiple 45+ minute conversations over the span of 3 or 4 days for the supervisor to finally see that my payments went to the Department of Education and NOT to Navient, even though the payments were sent to the address that Navient told us to send them to. The solution? Call the Department of Education and request a refund (around $1600), upon getting the refund, send that money BACK to Navient...

So because we followed their instructions in an email they sent, I have been getting harassed daily, along with my Great Uncle (who is already in poor health) about being behind on payments. Customer Service is a JOKE. They are rude, talk in circles, and flat out LIE. My mother has been making my loan payments for the past few years because I'm BROKE and before Navient took over for my former loan agency I was able to consent with them to speak directly with her since the money was coming out of her wallet. Navient INSISTS that it's against the law for them to speak with a third party. I asked them to provide proof of that law for my state (NC), they told me to to Google it. I Google lending laws in my state and read aloud to them the part where it says UNLESS GIVEN CONSENT BY THE LENDER. Their response? "Um, well... that's now the law I have..."

So, I ask them to provide me with any kind of link, document, web address - where are they getting this "law" from?? Nothing. Nada. Lies. They would only accept payments over the phone... When I badgered them with how irresponsible that is, given their horrible reputation, they cut me off and said "FINE, JUST SEND US A CHECK. "... I never write online reviews, let alone ones I have to create an account for... THAT'S how bad Navient is. They're also just nasty - interruptions, condescending tone (even when THEY are the ones who mess up). Just say NO TO NAVIENT.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I just spent 40 minutes with customer service at Navient. I'm not sure if I'm reaching a call center in a foreign country, but it sure feels like it. They just kept repeating my problem back to me. Putting me on hold for long periods of time. Then again repeating my problem back to me. I am a co-borrower on a loan, noticed an automatic payment was all of a sudden being split between 2 loans I have with them. For 10 years this payment was assigned to this one particular loan. I asked for them to not split the payments and allocate it to the original loan. Rocket science? No. They just couldn't wrap their heads around it. I finally hung up after 40 MINUTES of sheer futility. Stay aware from this loan company!

Original review: June 11, 2018

They are the worst when it comes to customer service. One person will tell you one thing and another person will tell you another thing. I have been dealing with this company for years and it has just gotten worst. Don't go with this company!!!

Original review: May 23, 2018

In March of 2018 I contacted Navient too and was approved for the zero based income program. I gave them ALL the information they asked for. In May 2018 I started getting letters from my creditors about seriously delinquent accounts, Navient never process the paperwork and gave on my credit. Right now 166 missed payments. THEY HAVE RUIN me. Creditors are closing my accounts. My car insurance company does not want to keep me. Who fixes this??? I’m furious. They have my character ruin and I could face losing my job!!! I have children and a home to operate and this company has ruin me. I wish I could post my credit report on here. It’s going to take years to fix this mess they have created. I am taking what I have left and getting an attorney.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Awaiting response for allocation breakdown and interest feeds added. For a few months now I've been "ahead" in paying and paying more than amount due. Now suddenly my amount due is more than last month even after my payment? As if it's not bad enough to be paying this off and on for 8 years I still owe more than I ever even borrowed. :/

Original review: May 5, 2018

I had this issue last year as well. But this year it was worse. The law is that they are supposed to calculate your IBR based in your AGI (annual gross income). I submitted our application and 4 times they insisted they were calculating it correctly, yet they were skewing the numbers by calculating our last years payment on our AGI, but this year calculating on our Gross Income, so the numbers came out that even though my husband was making less money (he took a pay cut) our payment was increasing by $75 a month. Their employees don't even know what AGI is.

I had to call 10 times and insist on talking to a head supervisor who finally told me to have my husband write a self-certified letter. We haven't heard back yet and even though I tried to proactively get this figured out by starting the process two months prior to our new payment date, we are now left with 4 days to see what they are going to do. They also just lie and told me incorrect information on numerous occasions. Their employees should be well versed in tax law and know how to do their job, rather than making their customers do it for them.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I refinanced my home and cashed out, and tried to use the money to pay off my student loan balance in full. The refi company sent me a series of checks to then send to Navient. I did so, but apparently sent it to the wrong department at Navient. Rather than return the checks, they cashed them, and didn't credit my account. I called and asked what the deal was, and was told that they would have to issue a refund to the refi company, after which new checks would have to be sent to the correct department. This didn't make sense to me, but fine, whatever it takes to pay off these damn loans. A few weeks later, the refi company emailed me to tell me they had received the refund... but that it was 54k short! So a rep from the refi company and I sat on the phone with Navient for like 20 minutes trying to sort this out. It remains to be seen if and when the full refund will be issued.

So basically, I sent Navient a large sum of money, thinking I was finally free from my student loans, and simply because it was mailed to the wrong department (note: I included clear instructions and my account information with the checks), they basically just took the money for themselves. What would have happened if I had not called to ask where the hell my ~80k disappeared to?!

Original review: April 22, 2018

Navient Portfolio Management take out the sum of $315 from my paycheck and withhold crediting the money to my loan amount for over ten days, while at the same time, the interest on the loan amount and the collection fees are being adding to it daily. When I called to complain last time and threatened to speak a lawyer and my congress and senate representative for my district, they quickly credit the amount. Must I always have to call for them to stop defraud me?

Original review: April 16, 2018

So I have a loan that is outstanding. I finally got back on my feet and was fixing everything. Well I called as I had one loan that was outstanding on the online website. I was told not to worry about it and just make normal payments. Well now I have a hit against my credit for the amount that is past due, not for the total amount. I called to try to get some answer as why this is happening and that the amount I have been paying them is not going towards the outstanding amount. 1 hour later after being transferred between both departments, I was given a number as my loan is in bankruptcy. :| These people are horrible. I got nowhere. I had to leave a message at the number I was given. Most likely I will have to wait till I can find a number on my credit report and call them to take care of the issue. The customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with. If I could leave negative stars I would.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I took out a Parent Plus Loan for my son about 15 years ago. I am now retired and cannot afford the high payments. Navient does not care. They refuse to do an income driven repayment plan. They refuse to do anything. When Harvey hit Houston other companies were very understanding. Navient was not. Do not use this company.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I keep a side calculation of what my loan should be compared to theirs. Theirs always higher. Got worse when I signed up for automatic monthly payments when they gave me no allocation breakdown. I was paying extra to my higher interest loan. It was scheduled to be paid off 18 months sooner than the others and with automatic payments slowing it was extending the end date. Multiple times I asked for breakdown and finally got the statements. They allocated $0 to my higher interest loan for 8 months in a row. And overcharged me .2% per loan. So misallocation. Higher interest than stated. And unexplainable extension of due dates of loans I paid extra to. About $3000 gone to their fraud. Their phone number is constant busy. I wrote them a message on my Navient account. Waiting for a reply. And wondering how I get in on this lawsuit to correct their error!

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have set up a reduced payment plan with Navient a month ago, I asked them why my "Past Due" status remains on my account, they said that it will just show up like that until I make 3 consecutive payments on time. Ok, that I understand -- fine! However, when I asked them if that "Past Due" status will make my account go to collections while I'm working with the new reduced payment plan department, they said "No." However, I have received two Delinquency Letters through their little Navient Inbox in my account and it does indeed threaten to take my information to collections. This is outrageous and this little quote from the President of Navient is not what I am seeing. "Enhancing the financial success of our customers is everything we stand for." - Jack Remondi, President and CEO

That is indeed a lie. I have been responsible enough to call Navient and tell them that I am experiencing financial hardship and my income is less than my bills right now. I never even knew of a reduced payment plan when I contacted them in the past years with financial troubles. They always told me that I had to pay approximately $100 to stay 'current' and that's rough even for someone who is already struggling. My goodness, I can't stand Navient but I am stuck with their crap until the end of my student loans.

Then some of the representatives are frustrating to work with probably because a customer cursed them out right before they had to talk to me. Everyone is irritated! The last thing Navient seems to desire is to let us know that there are indeed other opportunities to reduce our rate. You have to harass them, beg them, pray that they tell you something that will actually HELP you.

Original review: April 1, 2018

In February I sent a check to Department of Education paying off my daughter’s student loan. Navient is still showing a balance on my account. The first part of March I faxed a copy of the front and back of check to Navient showing it had been deposited by Department of Education. I also uploaded the check on my online account. Here it is April 1st and now they are asking I send an EFT transmittal form as proof of payment. There are no documents on my online account now. What happened to the fax and downloaded documents?? I want this resolved soon. Guess I am going to have to get my attorney to write them a letter. What kind of business is Navient??? Poor service and inadequate accounting.

Navient Company Information