Sallie Mae

Compare Student Loans

Research top Student Loans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This company is the worst loan company I have ever seen. Here are a few of the things I HATE about them: 1- High variable interest rates only. I have excellent credit and co-signed on this loan for kid. They treat you like you're stupid when you challenge how you could be paying 11% when the rest of the world is paying 6% - there is no negotiation. You can POUND sand if you don't like it. The interest calculations changes with the wind (I think they just make it up) and every day you watch yourself go further in debt. 2- If you overpay for the month to try and tackle principal, they just deduct it from next month's payment. This way it get's applied to interest only instead of principal. Totally nasty trick and they claim there are no prepayment penalties. They just keep your debt as high as possible.

3- You can't pay early if you using automatic deduction- this way if there's any problem you can EAT it on your credit report- and with this company there will ALWAYS be a problem. This automatic payment primary account shell game they play between the borrower and co-signer just creates family drama... I could go on and on--- DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. When you call them with complaints they have super polite person on the phone to say screw YOU as nice as possible---but you still get the message.

Sallie Mae has the worst loan department that I have ever seen in my life. The supervisors are very disrespectful and have no concern about your personal situation - they just want you to pay what they assume you owe. I actually had to hang up on a manager yesterday (7/7/2017) after trying for months to resolve an issue that he did not want to hear about. I had a forbearance that was not processed properly but he tried to say it was my fault and why did I want to get a forbearance in the first place. He tried to say that the forbearance was not even started by me. I tried to get him to go back and listen to the recordings and take the time to review my file since Nov 2016 but he tried to tell me that it was all my fault that we are at this point and my payment is at the credit collections department. Please don't use this loan company. Stay far away. :(

Do not do business with Sallie Mae. They offer no reasonable payment options. My daughter got student loans from Sallie Mae and the payments are way too high for her to afford on her own and they are not willing to offer any payment options at all. Horrible customer service terrible experience.

I had to take out a private loan my last year of law school due to some administrative errors; the school wouldn't let me attend classes until it was resolved. As I was stretched pretty thin by then my then spouse co-signed the loan. I began making the $279/month payments immediately, never missing a payment nor making a payment late. Unfortunately, shortly after graduating and before I could even pass the bar exam, I was stricken with an incurable disease that rendered me unable to even sit upright more than an hour or two a day. I was immediately fired from my job and of course, lost my health insurance too. My husband bailed, leaving all the bills and the house he'd refinanced in MY name using a forged power of attorney without my knowledge.

I struggled to pay everything as long as possible, but during the 2 year wait for disability I went through my 401(k) just to live on until I was finally forced into bankruptcy & foreclosure when that ran out. Then I owed the IRS taxes on that as it counted as income, and when disability finally came through I was destitute with no credit, no home, and only $1739 a month to live on. Sallie Mae had reduced my payments to interest only for 3 years during that time, but when that temporary reprieve ended the payments increased to over $350 a month. Between the grossly inflated rent in our state, mega payments to the IRS, utilities, phone, Medicare payments & medical bills for the many things it didn't cover I just couldn't manage that much.

I contacted Sallie Mae (Navient by then) again to explain that I couldn't hope to make that payment. I pleaded with them to stay with something as close as possible to something i could pay. They were actually pretty sympathetic; I got a forbearance (yes, there was a fee of $100 as it was 2 separate loans) while I applied for a hardship consideration. Somehow though my application got lost but I wasn't made aware till the full megapayment became due again after the forbearance ended. They gave me another, for which I paid another $100 fee while I applied again.

Finally I got an answer, which was really quite decent. I have a payment I can afford, and few people I spoke to were impolite. So my experience, while stressful, was in no way the horror story like many I've seen here. I can understand exactly why people would hate such a company, but my experience just wasn't like that. Everyone I dealt with, by phone or in writing, was understanding and helped me as best they could. I'm appreciative of the help I received from them when I had problems.

The day my son got loan I was not contacted single time. The loan was funded to him. He is out of job. As parents we tried to make payment. Was just tossed around making excuses of privacy issues. Finally couldn't get any way to make that payment. Provided son with credit card. He can't make payment. Card is not under his name. Parents tried to make payment. Can't do that. Loan is not under their name. Even though they put my wife as cosigner never called her once. Playing the nasty game kid against parents and parents against kid.

Finally payment is late. They reported against my credit and my sons credit. I called today to complain. They have no problem taking same payment with husbands card but they won't the recall the credit report back as it was company's mistake not taking the payment even though me and son tried our best to make payment. I will request all students and parents please stay away from this unethical unprofessional company. They are taking advantage of students as they starting life have no idea of companies like Sallie Mae. They want you rate them with star. You guys are Vultures. Please make sure tell your kids to stay away from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sallie Mae?

I've been paying on time for 2 years and yet the rates go up every few months because I'm on a variable rate. At 1 point, it went up 6-10 dollars in a month or two. I had bounced a bill one time because it had pulled the amount twice (and for the amount of 652, that's 1300 bucks). They did by accident and of course, months have passed before anything was ever done. When confronted as to when I will receive my refund, the answer I get was that I can put in the request for a refund but it doesn't mean that it will get approved. Now that I'm jumping into a debt relief program, they called my mom, my sister and the people close to me to demand payments. They are like vultures, calling in under different pseudo names and private numbers to hunt for their money. Don't ever get Sallie Mae's as loans, they're one of the worst servicers. You pay on time, your rates still go up. Whatever happened to savings for loans that are on autopay?!

My wife and I both cosigned on different loans for our daughter to finance her education through Sallie Mae. After making several payments we were able to acquire the funds to pay off the loans. My wife contacted Sallie Mae and made arrangements for the payment for the loans in full. The full payment was for both of the loans that my wife and I cosigned for. The check for payment on both of the loans was mailed to Sallie Mae. A couple months after the payment was made we receive notification that the loan I cosigned for was in arrears. My wife made several phone calls speaking with several different representatives and was unable to resolve the issue. One of the representatives transferred my wife's call to a supervisor. After explaining the issue to the supervisor that the loan payment was for both loans we were still unable to resolve the issue. The supervisor became very condescending during the phone call and my wife hung up the phone.

I then made the phone calls to the Sallie Mae to try and resolve the issue and was unsuccessful. By this time three months have gone by and Sallie Mae sent a letter and advised that they were going to turn our account over to a collection agency. We checked our credit report and found that Sallie Mae had already contacted the credit bureau's and our credit report showed three months of non-payments. My wife then called Sally Mae again, I was present during this call. When my wife explained to the representative that I was present the representative asked to speak with me. The representative asked me at this time if I gave permission for part of the payment that my wife had sent be credited towards the loan that I cosigned.

After telling the representative that I indeed give permission to pay off my loan she advised me that our account would be paid in full. This representative was the first one that my wife spoke to in the initial call to resolve this issue. I then asked that she contact the credit bureaus and remove the late payments noted on our credit report. The representative advised me that she would not be able to do that but that she would make note of it on our account. Our credit report will now show the delinquent payments for the next seven years.

I needed a Private loan to finish the last two terms of my BS Degree. What should feel like a huge accomplishment is now causing me extreme financial heartache. Sallie Mae is not willing to work with folks to pay back their loans, they say they are and they advertise they will, but buyer beware. They are not. They ask a lot of personal questions about finances to give you options. One of the options is Forbearance, but you cannot get one unless you can prove you can make the payments after the Forbearance is completed. (Which, by the way is $50.00 every three months and a limit of a year.)

The other options provided do not take off enough per month to make it worthwhile. If you are one day past due on your bill forget any assistance at all until you pay the bill. If you just can't pay at all you are pretty much forced to default. Other sources have stated then all you receive from Sallie Mae is collection calls and no offer to help you pay your loan even if you are willing to. The options they give are not possibilities. If you can stick to your Federal Student Loans, just stay there. They are willing to work with you and I have had no problems making payments to them.

I filled out my money order sending in with my name thinking with my name it would be added to my account for that month's payment. Who writes their Social Security Number on their money order but because I did not write my Social Security number on the money order I lost the account number. Then I realized I was being charged for a late fee. So I called and said, "I have been sending thru payments". They said it was not posted to my account because of not having social on it. Then guess what before I got that information I had already mailed in my other payment. Same way with my name with a money order I got the answer too late. They agreed to credit my for the first one but I never got credit for the second one that was sent in mail.

My story is long and involved and utterly frustrating. My identical twin boys have several Sallie Mae loans, unfortunately. They are the only game in town that makes it easy to become their hostage. Bottom line, they need the money or they will not be able to finish their college educations. We recently applied for their last semester, which will be this summer, 2017. Both boys have NO credit history. They have NO credit cards or payments of any type. Their only debt is for school (and that's extraordinary). Both are in debt for the same amount of money. On paper, they are exactly alike, even their majors are the same. After they applied for their loans they were each granted an offer of an interest rate. One boy was offered 6%. The other boy was offered 9%. That's a difference of 3% which equates to hundreds of dollars over the life of the loan.

We've made many phone calls to try to educate ourselves as to how this is possible. Never have we been given an answer...except that the "computer" figures out the rate based on an "algorithm". That's it. In the meantime Sallie Mae told me to contact TransUnion as their credit scores are different from each other. TransUnion replied that the score for the boy that is being offered 9% was different than what they reported to Sallie Mae... They indicated that Sallie Mae must have changed it. How is this legal? It is terribly sad what we are doing to our youth today with this kind of underhanded business practices. It's appalling.

Sallie Mae preys on those with poor credit! My interest rate has increased 3 times in less than a year. They try to say it's because they belong to LIBOR. They're liars and pathetic! Get your money anywhere except from this company. They're a total RIPOFF!!!

America's future, saddled with debt, that seems eternity that will follow them. Great reward for trying to better yourself via College educations. The "scam"? Sallie Mae's predator like tactics, by helping "defer" payments until after graduation, with the guise that "We make it easy for you by allowing payments later." However, when you graduate, it may take you years to pay off the "accumulated interest" with your principle never going down. They laugh to the bank, and with interest rates that are never really favorable. Try dealing with them, do they care? Not really. Offer you any real solutions? Not really. The "shame"? That Sallie Mae's name is tied to the US Gov't, and that the US Gov't allows these predator like tactics to occur. Sinking America's future = shame on you!

I thought I would go back to school but I didn't have time so I decided to do it online. So I got a loan through Sallie Mae. I started making my payments back and they started getting higher and interest started going up and I only have social security. I made as much as I could and with my other bills I just couldn't afford it anymore. Now they call and send me letters saying they are going to take our taxes. I just wish someone would make them go through what I am going through!

Consumer Increased Rating!

I had to drop out of college for health reasons. I have been on Social Security disability for years and thought a degree might help me get a job I could do even with my health. It didn't happen. Worst mistake I ever made was taking a private loan with these crooks. I am 59 years old and cannot work at all. My husband is nearly 66 and retires this year. My little SSDI check doesn't even cover our rent and his paychecks barely cover our other bills and food. Sallie Mae has done nothing to help even though my doctor has certified me as fully and permanently disabled. Well, my loans are private, so they can't touch my ssdi and after my husband fully retires, they cannot take his SS checks. I just wish they'd stop the harassment. I've told them to cease and desist. They must be made to understand they are actually violating law by acting the way they do. They do not care.

Sallie Mae offered me help when I was pushed up against a rock and a hard place. I needed $12,400.00 fast or I would not be able to finish my last year of college. I exhausted my financial aid and my parents would not take out another loan or cosign one. Sallie Mae was the only option at the time due to my credit and being in college I had little income coming in. They were quick to help me but failed to explain exactly what I was getting into.

When I got out of college I had a 6 month window until repayment started, then I got the first bill. I owed somewhere around $290.00 a month (Oct. 2014). I was floored... I paid and I paid and I paid... I NEVER missed a payment and was NEVER late, ALWAYS EARLY. I was getting NOWHERE. My interest rate had increased a couple times from what it started at currently it is 9.750%... Outrageous for any loan. I called several times pleading for help and got the same answers time and time again. I could enter into a forbearance for up to 12 months at a time and every 3 months pay $50.00 for each loan which I had two loans so $100.00... interest would continue to accrue and be tacked onto my loan and at a 9.750% interest rate (I called recently) it would amount to about $62.00 in interest per month equaling $186.00 every 3 months. This would cause my total amount owed to increase exponentially over a year.

I had recently called several times in the past month asking for documentation from the time I agreed to the loan to now and I asked for all payment information. The first time I asked I told them to fax it to me. It would take 48 hours to get that information. It never came. I asked a second time for that information to be mailed to me (now over two weeks ago) it was NEVER mailed to me. Because I did everything over the phone and online I have never held a hard copy of any documentation on what I actually signed up for (bad on my part definitely but shame on them for taking advantage of a broke college student desperate to finish schooling like a good little citizen). I asked several times to speak with supervisors and was told a written request from the manager has to be submitted. I never received any call (I may have but I was unable to answer at the time and NO messages were ever left).

Over the past 3 years this company has received not 1, not 2, but almost $3000.00 in interest!!! In 3 years I paid on time, always paying an extra $50.00 here $100.00 there. I barely made a dent in the loan. From $12,400--->$7,200.00 (current amount). That's $5,200+$3000=$8200. THEY HAVE RECEIVED $8200.00 in blood, sweat and tears. But it didn't dent that loan at all. All I wanted was some help, put me in a better interest rate, that's all I wanted. I know I took the money out and I wanted to pay it back at a fair rate but to no avail. They did not help me. It's not like I couldn't pay it. It was just leaving my pockets empty and me living paycheck to paycheck.

The last representative I spoke with gave me probably the most asinine response to my situation. I quote "Miss your payment and collections will call you. They may be able to work something out with you but it's not guaranteed." I was floored. I never miss a payment for ANYTHING and I was not about to risk my almost PERFECT credit score over it. Needless to say they SUCK. A greedy, dishonest business not willing to work with those who truly want to pay back their loans. I never minded paying them back at a lower rate. They would have continued to profit from the interest and eventually made the money of the loan back. JOKE'S ON THEM NOW... I was lucky enough to have a relative willing to pay the loan off for me and pay them back interest free. So SALLIE MAE if you read this I WILL MAKE IT MY MISSION TO MAKE SURE NO ONE BORROWS FROM YOU CROOKS.

I cosigned for my daughter's loan in 2011 and 2012. This was before the separation of Sallie Mae and Navient. They claim to be separate companies but can tell you exactly how much you owe each one. I filed a complaint with the CFPB, and suddenly, they could get someone to phone me that supposedly could resolve the problem. Before that, I'd been bounced around from one person to the next with different answers from every one. Basically, they have set the payments for the loans way beyond my daughter's ability to pay. So, they have come after me. I had harassing phone calls multiple times every day. I told them to stop phoning my cell but they continued to do so.

Today, I spoke with John who tried to use "used car salesman" techniques with me. I kept the upper hand and he became more hedging. For example, he said he'd send me all the details. Then he said he'd file the paperwork with the CFPB, as if I would trust them to not doctor the paperwork. I have the originals, which I never told him, and I will be comparing them. He tried to pressure me into naming an amount that my daughter can pay, which I refused to do. I suggested that he should consider that if they are a "private" bank then they have the power to extend the payments out so that she can afford to make them. Of course, then they are not free to do that??? One evasion after the other.

You can't claim to be a new bank since 2014, and then when challenge about the fact that we signed our documents before that date then they were new in 2009. These people are loan sharks with aggressive debt collection tactics. Predators doesn't even begin to cover these guys. Contact your state Atty General, file complaints against both Sallie Mae and Navient. Contact your state and federal representatives. Keep the pressure on, find an atty to take the case. They are arrogant enough to imagine that they can't be touched. They are monsters.

I use to not believe the people that have had all the problems with SM but it caught up to me. Ridiculous interest rate. (And I have really good credit mind you.) Increased payments without notice. (Which is interesting since they have no problem sending a stupid amount and mail and emails.) Getting ahold of a real person to talk to is impossible, and when you do they have no idea about anything. DO YOUR RESEARCH. Sallie Mae is awful.

This is the absolute worst company to ever get a private student loan with. They don't even deserve one star. I have been receiving multiple calls every day and two months later they still have not handled the issue. They say a form has not been received when I confirmed twice with the account manager that the deferment letter was received. They are only after money and have no concern for students or graduates. I'm literally in tears of frustration. Please don't choose Sallie Mae.

I had student loan with CitiBank. I moved to new location and reported my new address to Citibank. At the same time my student loan was purchase by Sallie Mae. I did not receive any mails from Sallie Mae. Few months had passed and I called Sallie Mae after finding out that Sallie Mae purchase my loan. I had late payments. I tried to explain my situation but they did not care. I paid my loan fully. Then when I was trying to purchase a house the late payments were on my record. I called Sallie Mae and explained my situation and told them to take out late payments from my record. They refused and I couldn't purchase a house. Don't get loan from Sallie Mae. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS.

I've had quite a few less than impressive encounters with Sallie Mae student loans. However, once I started the automatic payment plan everything was fine for a few months... Then I switched banks. I changed my bank information on the site, paid my loan manually for that month, and signed up for automatic payments through the new bank. There have been multiple issues. Including starting the automatic payments and then suddenly not making them. Causing late fees and my credit to go bad. So I paid manually and then they randomly would withdraw automatically certain months. I've had to call my bank and put a hold on them twice. They've attempted to withdraw from my closed bank account even though I've deleted it from the site, and it just reappears. Now I'm attempting to make payments and it won't go through at all. I've called my bank and ensured it's not on their end. It's beyond the point of ridiculous.

I signed (and aunt cosigned) for a $10,000 loan with Sallie Mae in 2013. They informed me that I wouldn't owe them a penny until 6 months after I graduated. However, 1month (this was October, I started school in September) into school they started harassing me telling me that I owed them money. I asked them how when I just started school!? I told the agent that I had been promised by multiple Sallie Mae agents that I wouldn't owe until 6 months after I graduated (before and after I signed).

The person I spoke with said they didn't know but I owed them and if I didn't pay they would take action against me and my cosigner. So of course, as a scared 18 year old I payed up. I had just gotten a minimum wage paying, part time job to pay my phone bill, etc, so I fortunately had the $75 they were asking for. However, it didn't stop there. I continued to keep calling (and getting transferred hundreds of times) asking how my account could already be in default as I had literally just gotten the loan, still no answer. I literally spent hours on the phone trying to speak to these people, someone, anyone who could tell me about my account and where my money was going! It is my right to know what is going on with my account, but all the agents were acting like it was a big secret or something, which it indeed turned out to be.

My cosigner started calling me asking why it was in default and that it was affecting her credit so she would sue me if I didn't pay. I literally didn't have anything except a part time job, a cell phone, and a car that was given to me from a family member. Finally, months after calling numerous times and speaking with countless people, I got an answer from a sallie mae agent and she informed me that what I was actually paying this whole time (from the 1month (October) after starting school in Sept, 2013) was the interest on the loan, not the actual loan, and that I owed them over $5000 in interest.

Shocked, I asked if there was anything I could do because I was a struggling student and barely even surviving as it is, and I was told no the only option I had was to pay it. I even told her that I had been scammed by them and she didn't have any answer so I kept getting transferred, still with no answers. I struggled for months until eventually I had to drop out of school to look for work full time just to pay the loan because they were harassing me daily! Almost immediately (1 month after quitting school) they started calling again saying now I owed nearly $400, instead of the $75 I had been paying, I was floored.

Again I asked how is this possible and no one would give me an answer, everyone I spoke to said I have to pay or they would take action against me!! Still to this day, three years later and being in contact with them constantly, no one from Sallie mae has contacted me or tried to resolve this issue with me. The only calls I ever get from them is a recording saying I owe them money! I still tried to pay them despite them lying to me plus my hardships and they wouldn't work with me at all! All they have ever offered is to give me a deferment for $50 (claiming that it goes towards interest), which I have done.

I don't know what to do, but I have filed a complaint with the BBB, and now here. Still no call from Sallie Mae or offer to help from any agents thus far. THIS COMPANY IS COMMITTING HUGE FRAUD AND SCAMS ON CLIENTS WHO HAVE TAKEN LOANS WITH THEM! I have seen online they had been sued in 2014 for fraud against clients and they agreed upon a settlement. However, what about the rest of us who have been scammed by Sallie Mae and have gotten no settlement check, let alone any answers!? What are we supposed to do next? So far, I have just been paying them but I feel this is so wrong and I definitely have been scammed and treated unfairly! Seems like this is extremely common amongst the people who have, unfortunately, taken out loans with sallie mae, in one form or another. Thanks in advance.

I have a student loan in Sallie Mae, and as soon as 6 months hit after I graduate from school my payment became from $45 to $495. I have not taken the nursing exam yet so I have no money to pay for that very high amount and my parents couldn't help me because they are struggling with financial too. So I called them to do a deferment at least 3 months till I pass my exam and get the job I went to school for, and so the struggle started.

First, every time I call them they keep transferring me back to automated machine or transfer me to a person, and hangs up once I addressed the reason why I called. I have called them a hundred times and they kept doing it. 2nd, when I finally get to talk to a person that didn't hung up on me, so I told her that I needed to defer my loan for at least 3 months, and she told me that she wouldn't help me unless I pay the amount due on that month. So I paid them $495 (I had to borrow money from a friend because I don't have that much amount). And again, when I tried to call them for a deferment, they did it again.

Every time I call them they keep transferring me to answering machine or they hang up on me. After more than 20 calls, I finally talked to someone and she were to help me. Before we went over to processing the deferment, I asked the lady to do cancel my automatic payment that I had made for September 2016 and October 2016, and she told me that she was able to cancel that. While we were processing my deferment, I have to pay $150 for a deferment fee so they can process it, the lady said that it would take 3-5 business days for the result and they will be sending a mail and an email for the result, BUT THEY DIDN'T.

I only found out that my loan were finally on deferment on my account online. It says "On deferment till Jan. 6, 2017." So a month passed. When I checked my account summary on my bank I saw that it was negative $400. When I went over to my statement it showed that Sallie Mae had charged me $485 on October 28, 2017 while I am on deferment. I thought the lady on Customer Service had cancel my automatic payment, it turned out she didn't!!! I almost fell out of my chair after I saw may bank account with NEGATIVE $400!!! This is so irresponsible of them!!! That is why I did a deferment for 3 months because I don't have money to pay for it until I pass my exam and get a job. Plus I paid Sallie Mae $150 for the deferment!!! This is so frustrating!!!

I haven't really had too much of a problem with Sallie Mae since taking loans out with them in 2013. The one thing I can't stand about them is the annoying amount of phone calls when your payments are due. My loan has been in deferment since I started my master's degree, so I have not been making payments. My mom was co-signer and my statements go to my parents address so I don't always get them on time. Apparently I missed two months of payments, and within a week (Oct 25-Oct 28) they have called me 19 times!!

I ignored the first two calls because it was from a number I did not recognize, and I figured if it was important whoever was calling would leave a voicemail. Well Sallie Mae does not leave voicemails apparently, and on the fourth call I picked up the phone to a recording telling me to call them back for information about my account. It wasn't even an actual person and there was no information about what was going on with my account. I understand giving someone a reminder call to let them know that payments are due, but 19 calls in the span of four days is harassment, especially since I was making payments on time before my loans went into deferment.

So I took a loan out from Sallie Mae to cover a year for college. Worst mistake of my life. I got my grandfather to co-sign the loan for me and they immediately accepted us. Well I first signed up for auto bill pay and that was mistake number one. They input all of my information wrong. Got my first late letter in the mail but that was after they bombarded my family with phone calls and letters. Manually paid the first month. I call them up again to try and resolve the issue so they can just take it out of my paycheck every month. Wrong again. They did not accept that payment method either.

So I finally manually set up all of my information online hoping that this will work. Everything seemed to be on the up and up until one day a rep called my father saying my information was deleted and they needed to "update" my information. Fast forward to my senior year of college, I get a text from my father saying Sallie Mae tried calling my aunt to get in touch with me. Well I was immediately confused as to why they wouldn't have called me. I get on the phone with my rep and am immediately transferred back and forth to different departments. Turns out MY PAYMENTS WEREN'T ACCEPTED FOR OVER 120 DAYS!!! They told me there was a problem on their end that they didn't catch! That if I didn't make a minimum payment my loans were going to have to be paid in full!!

I immediately said if my loan payments were not being accepted then why wasn't I told? The rep immediately transferred me to a supervisor after being on hold for 45 minutes! I am several days away from accepting my degree early and in the process of finding a job! These people are scam artists and completely unhelpful!!!

I currently have student loans with Sallie Mae. I graduated in 2015 and have started paying off my large amount of loans (PS: Private schools are expensive) I have. As a recent graduate I have had difficulty finding a full time job that pays me enough to make my payments. Luckily I have wonderful parents who help me out. My complaint is the obsessive amount of phone calls I receive from Sallie Mae regarding my account and payment that is due. Over this past week, Oct. 17-20, I have been called 17 times!! Some as early as 8 a.m. and other as late at 10 p.m.! I understand I have a payment due, but calling me every other hour is not going to make me pay it any faster. I am aware of my payment when I get an email about it a week or two in advance. You DO NOT need to call me everyday, multiple times a day to remind me.

It is the most annoying thing and I can honestly say that if you call me once and LEAVE A VOICEMAIL instead of not leaving one and calling me every hour on the hour, I will be more likely to call back or make my payment. I have learned to ignore the calls and go about my day, but at some point it is a little out of control. I know this won't stop the calls but I hope they understand this is outrageous. I will make my payment for goodness sake! Stop badgering me!

I went to Westwood College online, a few years ago, Paying on a 14,000 dollar loan, thru Sallie Mae, and the Dept. of Education. 7000 for each loan. Am I crazy or no. The thing is I only went for 5 and a half months and dropped out. Can't believe I owe 14,000 for 5 and a half months, and I have been paying for years, maybe 3. Now Sallie Mae is saying I missed a payment, which I haven't. Now the harassing phone goes day and night, and stupid me they asked where I work. Now I'm sure I will get harass now at my work. Can you help, or guide me in the right direction.

My experience with Sallie Mae has been horrible. My daughter had a loan with them for school in which I am a cosigner on the loan. I got sick and my daughter had to put school on hold for awhile to help me out. Before I could completely recover, the harassment started and has not let up. They call us constantly and even at my work place in which I explained that I'm not allowed to get personal calls and asked them to stop before they get me terminated. They do not care. If I get terminated I explained they won't get anything. My daughter cannot afford to pay them a lump sum of money and the payment they are trying to bully out of us neither of us can pay due to my still trying to recover from being sick, yet they do not care. They harassed her to tears and commenced to tell her what she should do to get the money.

These people act as if they do not understand the plight that everyone is not rich and if they were they wouldn't apply for their loan. Please do not make the mistake of acquiring a loan from them because it will be the worst thing you've ever done. You'll never get any peace. I hate my daughter ever got a loan with them because they do not care about the consumer at all and it's obvious they do care if you go through personal issues and cannot make the full payment they want. They don't even try and work with you. Just tell you what you can do. I plan on going to school myself soon in the future, but I assure you if I need a loan I will sooner pull out my own teeth than deal with this company ever again! Again, this company is a nightmare.

Where to begin with this company, they've been a nightmare from the beginning and they never seem to get better! I fell for the low monthly payment of $25 and then got slammed with a much higher payment right around Christmas. When I called to see if they could help I was rudely told I could either default on the loan or go back to school and defer it... Yeah, not helpful. That was several years ago and I'm still paying on that loan, which they told me I'd have paid off in October, but somehow my payments don't seem to add up and my interest rate got raised and I've been paying more than they ask each month on time.

Then there was a matter of the loan that was under my mom's name, my sister's social security number, my school, and some random loan amount neither of us had chosen. When we called to ask about it and see whose it really was, if it was anyone's at all since it was so messed up, we of course didn't get any help and were pretty much told that we would just have to pay it.

Then there was the mystery loan that popped up 3 years after I had graduated. We have been paying on multiple loans and one day we get a letter from the department of education about a loan that was in default for 3 YEARS! Once again we called Sallie Mae and they had the nerve to say they tried contacting us about it but we never made payments... because yeah, we wanted to pay every loan except that one! Not to mention the fact that they had our house phone, my cell phone and email address, and our physical address. Pretty sure if they tried to get a hold of us like they said they would have done it. They had multiple opportunities to contact us.

I absolutely DO NOT recommend this company to anyone for any reason. They've been nothing but horrible and useless for about 8 years and I can't wait to be done with them (whenever that day is going to be). I don't feel comfortable giving them one star, they deserve 0, and even that wouldn't reflect how awful they are. Avoid this company like the plague they are.

Sallie Mae is doing so horribly they had to change their name to NAVIENT. They're still horrible. I've had multiple issues with them and their customer service is so rude. Here's some examples of their rudeness: I'd taken care of a bill the day before. The day after, Sallie Mae calls. I say "Oh I've already gotten that taken care of." He says "Well obviously it hasn't been taken care of otherwise we wouldn't be calling now would we?" Guy calls and tries to keep me on the phone. I tell him I'm out and would like to wait until I'm home to look at the computer and my accounts.

He keeps me on, saying "Oh well we can just do a post-dated check or a card" and I say "I'd much rather do it when I'm at the computer so I can make sure everything's straight" and he tries his best to keep me on the phone. Finally he says "Yeah what's the REAL reason you can't pay today?" I didn't say I COULDN'T PAY! I just said I wanted to make sure my accounts were in order before I start doing post dated checks!

He just called again today and I said I had to call him back. He said "Well you said you'd call back Friday and you never did!" Actually I did and it went straight to a machine. So he kept saying "So I'm gonna call back and you better answer! You're gonna answer right? You better answer!" They just make everything so uncomfortable and aren't nice at all!

My son took student loans to finish his college. He graduated in 2014. He has met EVERY requirement of the "remove co-signer application" available on their website. His credit score is north of 775. No loans other than the student loans...and the denied it, saying loan to debt ratio was too high??? I contacted my state representative, and NBC Responds, the television station seeks to help people with problems that they can't seem to resolve. Neither got far. The BIG BANK is boss, and with 43% of people in default on student loans, they will do anything to hold onto co-signors...it is wrong. Just be frickin honest, and put on your website, you will not be able to remove co-signer unless they die or loan is paid off. YOU SUCK SALLIE MAE!!!

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Sallie Mae is one of the largest and most reputable student loan companies offering both undergraduate and graduate student loans. They have been in business for over 40 years and have helped more than 30 million students and their families save, plan and pay for college.

• Services: Private education loans for undergraduates, graduate students and children in private K-12 schools. Banking products include money market accounts, high yield savings accounts and CDs. The Upromise by Sallie Mae earns members cash back on everyday purchases.
  • Smart Option Student Loan: This unique program offers an undergraduate school student loan solution with competitive interest rates, a choice of repayment options and rewards for on-time loan payments while in school. There are 3 repayment options and variable or fixed interest rate loans.
  • Three repayment options: Sallie Mae offers 3 different repayment options: a Deferred Repayment Option where the student makes no payments during school or pays as much as he or she prefers, a Fixed Repayment Option or an Interest Repayment Option where students make interest payments while in school so it doesn't accrue over time.
  • Payment rewards: The interest repayment option rewards the borrower for paying interest while in school. This benefit may save over 20 percent on total loan costs when compared with the deferred repayment option. On-time payments earn a 2 percent benefit paid into the student’s Upromise account.
  • Loan education and information: The Sallie Mae portal has useful budgeting, money management and loan resources to help student and their families with their finances.
  • Best for Students who don't qualify for scholarships, families of students needing help with private school K through 12 tuition payments, undergraduates and graduate students.

Compare Student Loans