3.9/5 (693 ratings)
Find a Student Loans partner

Starting college this year?

See our recommended student loan offers for 2021

Get started

About Navient

Navient offers and services federal and private student loans for qualified applicants. It allows students to manage their accounts via its website, providing access to educational tools and budgeting spreadsheets. Its rates are determined by Congress, but it offers a discount for students who set up automatic payments. Borrowers can pay on the website, over the phone or by mail.

Pros

• Military benefits
  • User-friendly mobile app
  • Auto-pay discounts

Cons

• 2017 lawsuit
  • Can’t pay by credit card

Bottom Line

Navient is a federal and private student loan servicer and collector. It’s known as one of the largest federal loan servicers in the country, and borrowers can take advantage of its reduced interest rates through auto-pay.

Starting college this year?

See our recommended student loan offers for 2021

Get started

Navient Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: March 20, 2020

This company continues to call me, they say about my student loan. Only problem is IVE NEVER HAD ONE...WITH ANYBODY. I attempt to call them and the message says the can’t check my account without my full SS number. Are you kidding? It’s the oldest trick alive. Do not deal with this outfit. You’ll be sorry if you do.

Original review: March 12, 2020

You all need to have representatives who speaks English much more clearer, because these foreigners accents are very deep while talking too fast. I cannot understand the important information they're trying to interpret. Let’s be clear; I am not discriminating at all, but it would help if you would have people who speaks with an American accent coming from an American found company like Navient. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

This company is immoral and reprehensible. Their CS is the most inept and pathetic of any company in any industry I have ever had to deal with. The advocate 866-432-7939 line is typically not answered. Filing complaints with the DOE is the ONLY way to get any movement out of Navient. They've "accidentally, misplaced my entire account history" when I lawyered up. This company cares about dollars and not people. I tried overpaying my loans and that over-payment became my new minimum. My payments aren't being applied as I have requested on NUMEROUS occasions. If you want to talk with anyone at CS or advocacy, GFL. You've got a better chance of hooking up Eminem with Mariah Carey again! PATHETIC AND WORTHLESS.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

The absolute worst loan company ever. If I could go back in time and not go to school just not to have this loan it would be worth it. They do not care about their customers and if you miss a payment they will not do anything to help you. Avoid at all cost.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I published an article on 2/24/2015 on Westwood college, a school that was shut down and the degree obtained was worth garbage. Because I have been fighting for 5 years to my loan servicer Navient/ Sallie Mae to discharge the $65,000 loan for an Associates degree worth NOTHING -NON ACCREDITED OR TRANSFERABLE I heed the warning of watch every word before you sign. The interest on private loans starting 3/05/2011 at $10,000 is currently $9360 after 11/29/2019 at $3.00 per day. I was put on Administrative forbearance till 3/2029 as I am STILL FIGHTING THIS & How much interest will that be??? It is insane that they can corrupt your life for trying to better yourself.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Navient needs to invest in training their employees. They give incorrect information 99% of the time. They also need to invest in updating their website to provide consistent information for the customers and employees. On a number of occasions I’ve made payments on specific loans, however, their site allocated the funds incorrectly, so I’ve had to call and submit an email/ticket online to have this corrected manually. Instead of them fixing the issue, their solution is to keep calling and putting in a ticket online so they can manually adjust each time. This is so inefficient.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

These people are thieves! I've been paying more than I should be for over 10 years. I just asked to be put on forbearance for one month and they wanna charge me a $150. I pay you $500 a month and I am never late for over 10 years. You tell me you can’t help me. Really I see why people are not paying back loans. On top of that why is my interest look like it never going down. I really think the lawsuits in other states need to be examined by the government! I’m pretty sure shady things are going on with this company. I can’t believe you can’t change your payment day or be out on hold for one month. This is craziness!

Wasn’t like I was asking to take interest off. Look how many people come out of college can’t even pay their loan. Their customer service is the worst. I wish there was another company that you could actually deal with. My loan was sold to these people. I did not take out a loan with them. If you can don’t ever ever use them. I would rather owe anyone else in the world. And on top of it the spam calls are outrageous from these people as well as the amount of mail they send you!!!!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I have been paying my school loans for 9 years now and the longer I pay it, the worst the customer service gets... I have talked to a manager that instead of giving me the number to the federal and educational department he gave me the number to a hotline for uncontrollable crying and laughing (you can’t make this up). That was to see if I could put the payments on hold because I was going back to school. More on that later.

Right now is the all time low. I have been on reduced interest rate this whole time because I literally can’t afford the outrageous monthly payment they want me to pay. But every 6 months they FORCE me to pay more (increase the interest rate). I am trying to pay $535 a month and they told me it is not enough my only options are $620 or over $1,000 a month. So I have to choose between rent and food or default on my loan. I started at $160,000 have been stuck at $133,000 for the past 4 years because I went back to school this time on a scholarship. But because the school was a bible school and non-accredited they forced me to pay while I was in school. And the amount has not gone down even though I have been paying the whole time. But none of that matters to them. To them you are just a number. Literally my money goes to my tithe, them, and gas money. They take majority of my money which should be illegal.

They should only be able to take a percentage of your paycheck not the whole thing. I am trying to pay my school loan and they will NOT let me because it is cutting into their profits so I have no way of paying and they are forcing me to default. Not to mention the degree I have has not opened up any doors for me and has not provided any financial advancements. Getting a 17 year old to sign off an a private loan should be illegal (that was salle Mae, now Navient are the vultures trying to cash in on it.). I had no idea what any of this stuff meant, I was just told I needed to go to a “good” college after high school. I can’t express the level of stress I have gone through dealing with them. Every time I call it’s at least 30 mins being sent to all these different people and having to repeat the same info over and over again. If I could take legal action against them I would do it in a heartbeat.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

My student loans were with Wells Fargo years ago and they sold my loans to Navient. I have been paying faithfully above and beyond each month for years. I make at least $50-$100 extra on my monthly payments each month and even extra payments if I have extra $. It seems my balance never goes down. I contacted them asking where my extra payment is going to. Her response was interest and then she said, "I mean principal." She couldn't even tell me the difference. I believe they are misrepresenting themselves; they lie and misallocate payments. After the phone call, I advised that any extra payments needs to go to principal. They are cheats and liars. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I have been paying on my student loans for almost 3 years and my total balance has not dropped one bit. I had a defaulted loan which I targeted first. I paid off the loan for it to reappear in full. I spent so much time going around and around with representatives to get answers with no end in sight. I finally complained on the company's Facebook page and was contacted by another representative who could see the payments I was making. She explained that the loan was originally a higher amount and that the loan was split in two. She further explained I paid off the defaulted amount of the loan. The defaulted amount? Isn't the entire loan in default? Is this even legal?

I am looking at refinancing my loans to get one interest rate instead of multiple interest rates and every company is the same. Out of all of this, I have no degree because the school I attended was not fully accredited and my credits cannot transfer. I would like to blame our government (Sallie Mae) for approving fraudulent schools to cash in on people trying to better themselves.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

To preface this review, I want to be honest that I have only been a customer of Navient for a little over a year. However, I have encountered on numerous occasions wrong information and mistakes that have cost me significant time (not to mention added headache). As a consumer, I have paid my monthly payment in full each month and consider myself to be fairly financially savvy. To mention just a few of the many mistakes and wrong information that I received, they had incorrect records on my number of months of forbearance remaining and tried to claim that I was incorrect. After speaking with a supervisor once, the problem still was not solved. I had to call back and speak to a second supervisor just to get this mistake corrected.

Additionally, I was charged twice for my monthly payment and after I called, I found out that it takes 2-3 weeks to be refunded to your account. Most people depend on that money for bills and medical expenses and are barely making their loan payments month-to-month. For this occasion, I had to speak to two different supervisors to get this issue rectified.

In summary, Navient needs to be held accountable by consumers for their deplorable customer service, predatory practices, and sleazy business practices. If Navient is your loan servicer, my best piece of advice is to keep a record of every correspondence with them, every payment, every request because then when they make a mistake (they inevitably will) you will have adequate recourse. Watch your pocketbook because they are sure not watching out for your best interests.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have graduate school loans at Navient and Nelnet. I’ve had these loans over 10 years, and my loan at Navient is an inch away from being paid off. The contrast in experiences is night and day. Navient has been one colossal headache after the next. Nelnet has been consistently fantastic to deal with. For example, my county was recently hit by TS Imelda and the President declared us a federal disaster area. My home was hit by lightning and we suffered damage that cost us several thousand dollars outside of our insurance. Without my even asking, Nelnet saw my county and went in and applied a 4-month forbearance to my account. Navient, on the other hand, sent an email asking if I needed help, but made me call and jump through all sorts of hoops.

The rep was a total dingbat and only added to my stress. After all that, despite all my years of paying Navient faithfully and never once before requesting a forbearance, Navient said NO! Who denies a loyal customer disaster relief?!? Do yourself a favor, think very carefully about who you are chaining yourself to for the life of your loans. Life is going to happen. If you’re thinking of consolidating or refinancing to get away from a Navient, Do It! After all these years, I do not have 1 single complaint about Nelnet. Conversely, I do not have 1 single nice thing to say about Navient.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Please, while reading my review feel free to insert expletives when you see the "%" sign. For the last 2 % years, since I started paying back my freedom from the % Navient, I have not once been able to sign in without being blocked after 3 % trials. I got to the point where I noted my % password on top of my % monitor. Yet, as soon as I try to log in, % Navient website blocks me out. I've changed the password so many times that I am running out of ideas for passwords. This % website is as % as the slave owner Navient program. I should have stayed clear of these loan sharks.

I call them Loan Sharks, for a very good reason: last year, I tried to use my income tax return and lower the principal with an additional payment: YOU % CAN NOT! The monies are forcefully distributed to pay off first the % interest and then the % principal. They try to keep milking you as long as % possible. When I inquired, I was told that is regulation approved through legislature by the % congress... go figure. Good luck to all those who think this is a deal!

George ** - Seattle.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I started out with a $20,000 or $25,000 loan after earning my master's degree in 2011. When I called to state that I was struggling with payments, Navient (then Sallie Mae), cheerfully told me I could defer the loan. Then when Sallie Mae became Navient, agents continued to cheerfully tell me I could defer year after year after year. Well, a thing too good to be true really is!

This loan after some four years turned into $52,000-plus! I had said to various agents that I wished they would have offered for me to pay the interest while it was in forbearance status. I did this with my undergrad loan back in the 1980s. Sallie Mae back then was dead set on getting something out of you every month. Fast forward to the 2000s, someone found it was more profitable to no longer offer interest-only payments unless someone asked. I have myself to blame.

So since 2015/16, I have been slamming down on this monster and am now at just under $27,000 after an additional payment made today of nearly $800 and some $4000 a few weeks back. There have been times where I have called to get help on adjusting my monthly payment to a higher amount to pay it off faster and agents would chuckle--not wanting me to do so and curious as to why I would want to do so. Every now and then I would get someone with a brain that would help me make adjustments upward because each time you pay down massive amounts (as I got pay raises and worked additional jobs), your monthly payment drops. It is now easy to do online.

Being from the Dave Ramsey school of debt is dumb, I chose to hammer and hammer away and not fall into Navient's deviant debt trap. I chose not to opt for the 25 years of not paying and being forgiven as a Special Education Teacher. I found through Ramsey and President Trump that a ridiculously small percentage of folks have loans forgiven for working with nonprofs and other so-called qualifying conditions. Just pay it off quickly! TAKE FINANCIAL PEACE AT YOUR CHURCH OR ANY CHURCH IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE. NEVER LET YOUR CHILDREN TAKE OUT LOANS (our daughter is on a wiser track--Christ-led). Ramsey is right, our Father did not predestine us to be slave to the lender. Such debt is not Biblical.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have graduated from Everest Institute 2011 and ever since then Navient lied to me, harassed not only myself but my co-signer with phone calls everyday from morning to night. They call even if my payments are on time. There was times I called and was put on hold for 20 mins or more before representative would take my call. They made false statements on how I am two months behind when I am not. They have taken their payment out of my account early, which has costed me tons in overdraft fees. They also have double charged me before too, taking two payments out at once. This company is nothing more than money sucking criminals. They refuse to work with me in the in the past when I was unable to make payments. I have had enough of the harassing phone calls and their lies. I really regret getting student loans through them. Now that Everest Institute is no longer around, they claim there is nothing they can do for me.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Navient said they couldn't give me a guaranteed estimate on what my new interest rate would be without an application, but gave me a rough estimate of X%. Navient then advised me to submit my application to receive an estimate. They explicitly told me that after I received the estimate I would have paperwork to sign to confirm that I wanted to go through with the consolidation. So, I submitted my paperwork and supporting documents. I soon decided against consolidation, and figured that once things were processed, I would reject it. Well, 2 months later, I suddenly received notices from my new loan provider that a consolidated loan had been dispersed. I called everyone, and there was nothing I could do to undo it. And my interest rate was almost 2% higher than Navient's rough estimate of X%, to boot. Navient tricked me into consolidating my loan against my will. I could never have imagined I couldn't trust them. Be careful if you're dealing with them.

Original review: July 30, 2019

They disabled my account and refuse to open it back up for me SO I CAN GIVE THEM MY MONEY because my dad's deaf and can’t speak on the phone. And they need him to speak on the phone in order to unlock my account so I can pay them????

Original review: July 17, 2019

They left a message once. It was for a strange name. Now they call all hours of the day and night. I have owned my condo for 4 years and have had the same number ever since. Whomever they are trying to reach they simply have the wrong number yet the call continue, again, non-stop and are getting earlier and earlier in the day and well into the night. The few times I have tried to answer the call there is nothing but silence. I tried their website but there is no way to contact them without offering my own personal information.

Original review: July 12, 2019

This is for those who are an ELDERLY person with student loans, RETIREES, NO-INCOME persons, etc., and you need to apply for the yearly no-income exemption, but have not yet applied yet for 2019-2020. CALL NAVIENT. The application takes 3 WEEKS to complete, and will not be completed by JULY 29, 2019, at this point (JULY 12, 2019). This is AFTER the BILLING deadline of JULY 28, 2019, the previous yearly-exemption. Call Navient, and ask them to move your payment date back, so you can complete the application. It is in the borrower's own best interest to be made self-aware, such as this example, where the bills arrived to the home not more than a week ago (JULY 12, 2019).

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have been harassed by these spammers for months on end. They call me daily and want to talk to me about a student loan. I have not now nor have I ever had a student loan. I have told them this and they said they would stop calling but still it is happening daily. They change their phone number every time they call. I block it and yet I still get calls. I am now on a mission to make people aware of the harassment.

Original review: June 27, 2019

These guys are purveyors of misery and suffering. Since they inherited my loan from Sallie Mae, they screwed with the amounts owed and where I was in my repayment to such a confusing state, and all records seemed to go haywire as to be utterly useless. As if they simply altered everything to suit themselves. Complete lack of transparency and you have to jump through hoops to figure out where you're even at in repayment. Truly an evil, nightmarish loanshark.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Navient screwed me because I had consolidated my private loan with two other accounts from different creditors through National Debt Relief. The attorney DBA National Debt Relief attempted to contact them several times in an attempt to negotiate my debt down. Instead of working with my attorney, Navient wrote my account off as bad debt two months ago claiming that the attorney never contacted them. I know for a fact that they are lying. Can't wait to have this debt paid off and be done with them for good!!!

Original review: June 15, 2019

I was attending ITT Tech when I first started dealing with Navient. Worst mistake ever! I was still in school and almost done my classes when ITT Tech went bankrupt and closed. I attempted to contact Navient to eliminate my debt. I was given the run around and told that I could that I could do a deferment until I am able to get back in school. I informed them I was a medically retired veteran and a single parent. I was told I could do debt forgiveness. I was not given any other info. I was pretty much dismissed. I had to change degree plans due to not being able to transfer my credits because I wanted to debt forgiveness. This company constantly increased the amount I owed on my loans although I was still in school.

I asked about their low income option, after learning years later it was an option, and was told once again I could defer. This has been a complete disaster and a true hardship. I cant buy a home, get a loan, finance a decent car and can barely get approved for a house to rent due to my credit after dealing with Navient. I was attending school to make a stable environment for myself & my children but instead ended up wondering how I am ever going to reach stability and not have to live pay check to paycheck.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Beware when taking out a loan with these people. You would be better off with a payday loan. My daughter borrowed $5,000 in 2009 and paid $55 a month (presumably the interest for $5,000) from 2009-2015 when the payment went to $126 per month (principal and interest). So far she has paid close to $10,000 for a $5,000 loan. For a year we doubled the payments to pay down the principal which at the end of that time we miscalculated by $30. They called every 10-20 minutes for a $30 shortfall even pestering her 85 year old aunt who recently had a stroke. They have started up these tactics recently and when I complained they arrogantly responded in writing that they can use any means necessary to collect a debt. This debt will be paid off in July but we leave them with nothing but disdain for this company. And oh by the way they are soliciting us weekly to refinance. I'm just hoping they crash and burn.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I had a 4% fixed rate loan on $90,000 - I paid $700 a month and half of it went to principal. They said it was "compounded daily" - it's not 4% then, it's 50% and they are very deceiving and crooks. I don't mind paying back my loan, but this was just pure robbery. After 10 years I had to include $64,000 balance due in my house loan.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I in 2007 needed to take out personal student loans to finish my bachelor degree. I took a loan out for 1,000 and another for 10,000. I started repayment on my loans in 2013 and they were grand total of 15,467. I have been paying for 5 years 237. I recently had to file chapter 13 and because student loans cannot be discharged or excluded they upped my interest rate to 12% almost one year into chapter 13 and it has grown to 19,000 and to think for 5 years I have paid 14,220 and when I get out of my bankruptcy I will have to owe over 30,000 because I am sure they will raise my interest 3-4 times.

I am at a lost. I would end up getting 11,000 and paying 50,000. I guess that's why the wealthy get wealthier. I think while in a bankruptcy you shouldn't have to pay compounded interest or any interest. This is what a bankruptcy is for, not lead you to paying big banks who file bankruptcy and get funded by the government to make money. I will vote and campaign for any presidential candidate who can address and resolve my issues with student loans. Education is not worth it if you pay for the rest of your life with nothing to show for it.

Original review: May 21, 2019

God help you when you get in the grip of these criminals. It would take pages to explain their incompetence and dishonesty. The people who work here must empty their souls of any integrity they might have had before going to work. They ripped off my poor wife with insane interest almost doubling the loan amount. Thank God we found a way to pay them off. BUT WAIT. They are working hard, I MEAN HARD TO FIND A WAY TO KEEP THE CHARGES FLOWING. Even though they made a huge mistake, which cost more interest, they would not waive the charges. I fear they will keep finding something to nickel dime us to death. THIEVES AND CRIMINALS. SHAME ON YOU! Someone needs to stop them!!!!

Original review: May 21, 2019

I really have not dealt with them until Sallie Mae sold my consolidated loan to Navient. I had to be persistent with them about getting a payment plan that I could afford. Found out I qualified for the Income Driven Repayment plan.

Original review: May 17, 2019

My original student loans were with Sallie Mae and they were consolidated and sold to Navient. For some reason, the current enormous amount owed seems to have grown out of nowhere. The amount is so high I will never even make a dent in the amount.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I am in a rehab program for my student loan debt held by Navient. Pioneer is the company I entered the student loan rehab program through. They based my repayment on my income and it has helped me a lot. However none of these payments or the garnishment Navient had on my pay are reported as payments to the credit bureau.

Navient had my wages garnished every pay. I know I was behind in my payments and understand, but when I have spoken to them in the past about setting up payments their requirements were unrealistic for my income. The garnishment was taking about 33% of my pay each month which left me completely broke every payday. Since I have made my rehab payments, the garnishments have just now been lifted after 5 months of on time payments. However, this entire time, even during the garnishment period of about a year, interest continues to accrue. And even now during the rehab program interest continues to accrue, meaning I will never be out of debt with these people. The rehab program lasts 9 months.

I own my home and wanted to take an equity loan out to pay them off completely. This is the only thing on my credit report that is negative. However, between them and AES reporting on my credit a status of "unknown" and "collections" for 2 years, no one will give me the loan I need to clean this mess up. It has become a vicious cycle and I just can't seem to get out. The rehab program helped with the garnishment, but it didn't stop Navient from reporting negatively on my credit, keeping me from finding a better solution to lump all of my student loans together under an equity loan. And I know some say the interest rate for a student loan is better. But considering I have been paying interest on the garnishment period and also during the rehab program, I'm not so sure staying with this company is wise.

I am reading news that they no longer have a contract with the Federal Government to collect Federal Student Loan payments on their behalf. I think this took a lot of accountability off Navient and they are now free to practice however they see fit. My student loans are over 15 years old and it looks like I will die in student loan debt. I do not recommend Navient to anyone!

Navient Company Information