2. Education
  3. Student Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Navient Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navient?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I started out with a $20,000 or $25,000 loan after earning my master's degree in 2011. When I called to state that I was struggling with payments, Navient (then Sallie Mae), cheerfully told me I could defer the loan. Then when Sallie Mae became Navient, agents continued to cheerfully tell me I could defer year after year after year. Well, a thing too good to be true really is!

This loan after some four years turned into $52,000-plus! I had said to various agents that I wished they would have offered for me to pay the interest while it was in forbearance status. I did this with my undergrad loan back in the 1980s. Sallie Mae back then was dead set on getting something out of you every month. Fast forward to the 2000s, someone found it was more profitable to no longer offer interest-only payments unless someone asked. I have myself to blame.

So since 2015/16, I have been slamming down on this monster and am now at just under $27,000 after an additional payment made today of nearly $800 and some $4000 a few weeks back. There have been times where I have called to get help on adjusting my monthly payment to a higher amount to pay it off faster and agents would chuckle--not wanting me to do so and curious as to why I would want to do so. Every now and then I would get someone with a brain that would help me make adjustments upward because each time you pay down massive amounts (as I got pay raises and worked additional jobs), your monthly payment drops. It is now easy to do online.

Being from the Dave Ramsey school of debt is dumb, I chose to hammer and hammer away and not fall into Navient's deviant debt trap. I chose not to opt for the 25 years of not paying and being forgiven as a Special Education Teacher. I found through Ramsey and President Trump that a ridiculously small percentage of folks have loans forgiven for working with nonprofs and other so-called qualifying conditions. Just pay it off quickly! TAKE FINANCIAL PEACE AT YOUR CHURCH OR ANY CHURCH IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE. NEVER LET YOUR CHILDREN TAKE OUT LOANS (our daughter is on a wiser track--Christ-led). Ramsey is right, our Father did not predestine us to be slave to the lender. Such debt is not Biblical.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I have graduated from Everest Institute 2011 and ever since then Navient lied to me, harassed not only myself but my co-signer with phone calls everyday from morning to night. They call even if my payments are on time. There was times I called and was put on hold for 20 mins or more before representative would take my call. They made false statements on how I am two months behind when I am not. They have taken their payment out of my account early, which has costed me tons in overdraft fees. They also have double charged me before too, taking two payments out at once. This company is nothing more than money sucking criminals. They refuse to work with me in the in the past when I was unable to make payments. I have had enough of the harassing phone calls and their lies. I really regret getting student loans through them. Now that Everest Institute is no longer around, they claim there is nothing they can do for me.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Navient said they couldn't give me a guaranteed estimate on what my new interest rate would be without an application, but gave me a rough estimate of X%. Navient then advised me to submit my application to receive an estimate. They explicitly told me that after I received the estimate I would have paperwork to sign to confirm that I wanted to go through with the consolidation. So, I submitted my paperwork and supporting documents. I soon decided against consolidation, and figured that once things were processed, I would reject it. Well, 2 months later, I suddenly received notices from my new loan provider that a consolidated loan had been dispersed. I called everyone, and there was nothing I could do to undo it. And my interest rate was almost 2% higher than Navient's rough estimate of X%, to boot. Navient tricked me into consolidating my loan against my will. I could never have imagined I couldn't trust them. Be careful if you're dealing with them.

Original review: July 30, 2019

They disabled my account and refuse to open it back up for me SO I CAN GIVE THEM MY MONEY because my dad's deaf and can’t speak on the phone. And they need him to speak on the phone in order to unlock my account so I can pay them????

Original review: July 17, 2019

They left a message once. It was for a strange name. Now they call all hours of the day and night. I have owned my condo for 4 years and have had the same number ever since. Whomever they are trying to reach they simply have the wrong number yet the call continue, again, non-stop and are getting earlier and earlier in the day and well into the night. The few times I have tried to answer the call there is nothing but silence. I tried their website but there is no way to contact them without offering my own personal information.

Original review: July 12, 2019

This is for those who are an ELDERLY person with student loans, RETIREES, NO-INCOME persons, etc., and you need to apply for the yearly no-income exemption, but have not yet applied yet for 2019-2020. CALL NAVIENT. The application takes 3 WEEKS to complete, and will not be completed by JULY 29, 2019, at this point (JULY 12, 2019). This is AFTER the BILLING deadline of JULY 28, 2019, the previous yearly-exemption. Call Navient, and ask them to move your payment date back, so you can complete the application. It is in the borrower's own best interest to be made self-aware, such as this example, where the bills arrived to the home not more than a week ago (JULY 12, 2019).

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have been harassed by these spammers for months on end. They call me daily and want to talk to me about a student loan. I have not now nor have I ever had a student loan. I have told them this and they said they would stop calling but still it is happening daily. They change their phone number every time they call. I block it and yet I still get calls. I am now on a mission to make people aware of the harassment.

Original review: June 27, 2019

These guys are purveyors of misery and suffering. Since they inherited my loan from Sallie Mae, they screwed with the amounts owed and where I was in my repayment to such a confusing state, and all records seemed to go haywire as to be utterly useless. As if they simply altered everything to suit themselves. Complete lack of transparency and you have to jump through hoops to figure out where you're even at in repayment. Truly an evil, nightmarish loanshark.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Navient screwed me because I had consolidated my private loan with two other accounts from different creditors through National Debt Relief. The attorney DBA National Debt Relief attempted to contact them several times in an attempt to negotiate my debt down. Instead of working with my attorney, Navient wrote my account off as bad debt two months ago claiming that the attorney never contacted them. I know for a fact that they are lying. Can't wait to have this debt paid off and be done with them for good!!!

Original review: June 15, 2019

I was attending ITT Tech when I first started dealing with Navient. Worst mistake ever! I was still in school and almost done my classes when ITT Tech went bankrupt and closed. I attempted to contact Navient to eliminate my debt. I was given the run around and told that I could that I could do a deferment until I am able to get back in school. I informed them I was a medically retired veteran and a single parent. I was told I could do debt forgiveness. I was not given any other info. I was pretty much dismissed. I had to change degree plans due to not being able to transfer my credits because I wanted to debt forgiveness. This company constantly increased the amount I owed on my loans although I was still in school.

I asked about their low income option, after learning years later it was an option, and was told once again I could defer. This has been a complete disaster and a true hardship. I cant buy a home, get a loan, finance a decent car and can barely get approved for a house to rent due to my credit after dealing with Navient. I was attending school to make a stable environment for myself & my children but instead ended up wondering how I am ever going to reach stability and not have to live pay check to paycheck.

Navient Company Information