1.39/5
Based on 66 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a loan company?

Last updated: April 6, 2018

80 Lobel Financial Corporation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 6, 2018

My car got towed from work because my tags were behind. I quickly paid the registration and tickets at DMV... While I was getting these things taken care of, Lobel Financial went to the tow yard without letting me know or with a warning repossessed my car. My payments were not in default nor late nor in collections. They charged me for a repo!! How I don't know this has to be illegal... Instead of just the normal fee for being late at DMV...my loan company Lobel Financial added 600.00 more dollars to what I was already paying the initial tow yard. This is robbery. Please help.

Original review: April 2, 2018

This company must be stopped!!! I got a auto loan with Lobel Financial (not knowing how bad the reviews were until after!) - we were approved at a mid/bad rate (it was decent enough at the time)- we get the car and drive off! Three weeks later we received a letter that our auto loan was denied- "wait what???" "We were in the dealership when this was all approved" I even spoke with one of the company's representative 1 week later to verify all the info, we were told when the payments were due... etc.

Fast forward almost 3 months later (after making the first and second payment on time!!!) I even walked the first payment to their office because I read all of their horrible reviews, I mean nightmare reviews... literally!!! I received a call from the dealership a few minutes ago letting me know that the loan company called them and said we were defaulted and never made any payments to this day (2 months from date we first bought the car). This is CRAZY. I have PROOF!!! I have one of their receipts and my canceled checks! Unbelievable!!!

I just sent the info to the dealership, they will be calling them with the proof, I am waiting to see what happens. The loan company has never personally called me... never to say that we are supposedly defaulted..??!! This is a nightmare!!! I am just sick over this, and by reading most of their reviews, just about 100% of the folks are saying the same thing... how is this legal?? I will be following up with this soon!

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

My experience with this company is by far the worst. They have horrible customer service, they work only by fax and phone number, I was constantly misinformed about my account and who to reach for help. They never “receive” faxes with important documentation and conveniently without that documentation, my monthly payment is about $200 higher. Their employees are rude and do not provide any sort of assistance or information to their customers. This is a shady establishment and the worst experience I have ever had with a company. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THEM.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My husband and I got a car loan with Lobel 12 years ago in 2005. We had the van for about a month. It keep breaking down in that time. It got repossessed one month after we got it. They took us to court in 2005 and got a judgment against us. It is now 2018 12 years later and they are just now trying to garnish our wages after all this time.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Do not get financed through this company. You will get screwed by them and they don't care about anything but making more money off you. My car got stolen and because they said that for any reason my car should get impounded they have the right to repo. Told me if I wanted my car back had to pay a ridiculous amount for a car that the police told me couldn't run. They auctioned off the car and still took me to court to pay them the full amount of the circle. Very heartless company. Couldn't even take consideration that I was a victim of a crime.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lobel Financial Corporation?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I was desperate for a car and went through them as I had no other options at the moment. They force you to get a car under 9k and within a few months when you are on your feet, the loan is too low to refinance outside and they will not lower the 25% interest. They will not work with you at any point and for any reason. They call with lies and threaten to have your car impounded because they did not apply the payments correctly. I am so thankful that I traded in the car and never have to deal with these gangsters again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Unprofessional, unwilling to help and untrustworthy. I contacted the company on behalf of my niece who is a co-signer on the vehicle. Her father had purchased the truck a month ago but has since been unable to make the truck payment. I called to make a payment and to see what options we had to either sell the truck, keep making payments, or surrender it. The whole time the lady kept on insisting on having the truck voluntarily repoed even though I told her we could make the payments. That, since the loan had an exaggerated interest rate (which she stated she was unable to tell me the exact rate over the phone) that we should just take the loss.

I understand that business is business but I work for a bank and have seen people get stuck in a jam before and there are normally options for them. I have never heard of a company that will not explain the details of a loan or insist on having a vehicle repossessed. In regards to the loan. Their interest rates are through the roof, I did not believe that the rates they have even existed still. The truck was purchased for $16k. By the end of the term the total amount paid, interest plus principal will be $32k! Double the original amount on a normal five year loan.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Sending a paid off on a vehicle after 3 months still don't receive the title. The check was cleared from the bank and I call Lobel to follow up on the title. Find out the account still has a remaining balance. They claim they send us a letter which they never did and paid the remaining balance. After 3 weeks I still don't see a title. I call again and title dept. said it under legal dept. transfer to legal dept and transfer to accounting dept. and I asked for lien release to email or mail express the title and they said it will be regular mail and it will be another 21 days before I see the title; hope they can communicate through dept. to at least solve this issue.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Lobel Financial will approve you at the cost of competence - I voluntarily surrendered a financed vehicle a few years back so getting an approval with a prime lender was difficult. However Lobel gave me the green light. I've been in the vehicle now going on four months and every month there's been a headache to deal with regarding Lobel. The first month they increased my payment by $90 as they claimed they didn't receive my insurance declaration page. I called my insurance and they again forwarded the required information and I refused to pay the $90.

Sure enough the next month comes when I get my statement, I again am being charged an extra $90 because they once again claim they never received my declaration page. I talked to a rep and they told me they neglected to update it and the fee would be waived. Welp, here is 4 months in and not only they keep trying to charge me an extra $90 a month but they're calling every day looking to get a past due balance. My payment is due in one day and I still haven't gotten my statement for this month. Incompetent business practices at best, if you're not that desperate I'd advise going with a better loan option.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I want to warn everybody about this ** company. June 2014 I bought a used 2008 VW Jetta. Knowing it was overpriced I needed a car so I got it. September I was having some financial issues so I called them and let them know my payment will be late. We agreed on the date when I was to pay and then catch up in October within the 10 day grace period. They agreed and said that they will put it in their notes. October 6th they repossessed the vehicle. When I called them the next day they acted like they weren't sure what vehicle I was talking about and if I even had an account. They put me on hold for 15 minutes (literally) and I hang and call back several times and several days after the first initial call.

The Rep eventually tells me that her "management team" are working on my file then she asks me why I haven't been at my address and if I can provide proof of residence. I told her I work and I go to school. And that I'm hardly at my home. She continues to ask if where the vehicle was parked was my address. I told her no that I go there a lot after school. She says, "Well we cant give you the vehicle back until you agree that's your address". I told her no. I am not going to tell her false information. I told her about the agreement I had with the rep back in September and she put me on a 10-minute hold again and said there was nothing in the file.

Every time I called I told them the rep before them was suppose to update my file... There has never been anything in the file not once!! They NEVER gave me the information about where my vehicle was so I could pay for the car and the tow/storage fee. In CA the law is 20 day grace period for the buyer to get their vehicle back. They failed to provide me with this information and was never on the line long enough to pay them any money. I spent over 3 years paying for this overpriced car that was a 48 month contract for what? So they can take back illegally and not honor their side of our agreement! The worst company EVER.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I've told these people not to call me during work hours and what do they do. They call over 8 times a day. So of course I'm not going to pick up the phone. They called me one day saying they were picking up my car for a late payment. This ** didn't even read the notes right. They didn't pay attention to the insurance notes. They were saying I missed a payment but it was the insurance proof didnt post on their end for the billing to see. They had me heated because she said I missed my payment. This people need to be put out of business. So rude and unprofessional. No one ever wants to put a manager on the phone. Just leads and that's **. Get it together over there.

Original review: July 29, 2017

My boyfriend was buying a car from a dealership 2 hours away from our residence believing he could get a better deal on a car. I was asked to be one of 6 required references (what happened to the 3 usually required?). My bf put a 12% down payment on the car and even offered to pay more monthly on the payments. He also has full coverage on his cars. We left after hours of being at the dealership, and that was after he chose one of the first cars we saw without wanting to see anymore.

We left on our 2 hour drive home. The following day I received a call from the financier, Lobel, asking me a lot of questions, such as what relationship I had with the buyer, where was the car, who was driving it, and if I would be willing to sign on the contract as well! I said "no" that I wasn't the one buying the car. I thought the questioning was a little overkill and inappropriate. I was just a reference! The following day, the dealership called and said that my bf told the financier that I was his "mistress" and that he was buying the car for me! I was taken aback...

She then said that the financier would only approve the loan if I signed the contract, since I was also driving the car, because when they had asked me who was driving the car, I told them that I was using it to drive to work since my truck was in the shop until Sat, two days later. Basically, they wanted me to take responsibility for a car that was not mine just because I was using it for a couple of days (I also am fully covered on the insurance). I said "Absolutely not!" I can't afford something like that, should it ever come to that. Recently had to take out a loan to pay for medical care that I did not want to do, but had no choice if I wanted to get the surgery done (life threatening).

I called my bf who stated he "never" told them that, and he was livid! The other 5 references were also annoyed by the questioning they also felt was inappropriate. The dealership told me that they would finance the car for him, but he needed to drive all the way back to the dealership to redo a new contract. He only has one day off a week, he could not take a day off to go back. I asked if they could FedEx the contract and he could mail it back. This apparently was not an option. I am glad that I have seen the horrible reviews of this finance company, so that we definitely will not do business with them! We are also rethinking purchasing this car!

Original review: July 29, 2017

This whole week I've been getting calls from Lobel Financial telling me I need to make a payment. I have verified that my bank payment did go through finally. I called them back today. They threatened to come and repossess the car because they have no proof that I have insurance on the car, I clarified that when I bought the car they requested proof of insurance which I gave to them and the dealer, when I submitted my paperwork to finance the car they requested. In May 2 months ago they requested proof of insurance again. I had my insurance company send it to them directly to their insurance department, on Thursday of this week.

I actually printed it out and sent it to them, and today they call me to tell me since they have for space insurance on my account they need 570 dollars today or they will repossess the car today kama. I told her this was a two-way conversation so when I needed to ask a question she needed to stop talking and answer my question just like when she asked me a questions. I stop talking and answer her questions and if she kept interrupting me I was going to hang up. I hung up on her about 3 times. She kept calling me back and every time I had to remind her that this was a two-way conversation so, "When I talk you listen. When you talk I listen." She didn't understand the concept. She's very rude. Definitely doesn't understand customer service, I finally didn't answer the call. Would never do business with them again. Think they should be looked into by the government.

Original review: July 12, 2017

The worst finance company ever. Lawsuit coming soon. I don't even know where to start. Like a lot of people here my car was repossessed. Ok I guess I can only blame myself for that. Now made all the payments to pick up my car just to realize that they took off my license plate broke both of my bumpers, my spoilers and my taillight and changed my key. The place where I picked up said to call Lobel because they're liable for the car. Called and this rude ** was talking to me all she wanted, even put me on hold like 100 times for more than 5 min each and finally told me they can't do nothing for me. Now I have a car I can't drive, no license and broken stuff. I'm going to sue them because that's not right.

Original review: June 27, 2017

This is the most disgusting company I have ever dealt with. I walk outside to found out my car is gone. I have made double payments to get it out of the way and to top it off they financed me a lemon. The car has no reverse. The window is broken on the sides. The frame is messed up on the car and to put the cherry on top the car is only worth 233 dollars from Kelley blue book value and I think it was a slave title. If you have any one in your family that is going to finance a car never go through Lobel because this is the second time they have done this to me. The 1st time was last year. These people are sick like really. May they burn in hell when they die. That's all I can say. I only owe 2,961.00. I am so sick of these people. Am going to have to fight with them to get back a broken piece of car.

Original review: June 20, 2017

We have one year with this finance company and they have always been friendly. We always managed to go to an agreement and they always notify us when we are behind. My father's truck was worth it, I am very content with this company and their services.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I have been with this company for 3 years now and NEVER had a late payment. I noticed that my check has not been cashed for my car payment so I called to see what was going on. They SAY they did not get it so I just paid over the phone. Which they charge you $10 just to pay your car payment which is so insane to me! I asked her if this would go on my credit. She said yes. They have no control which is BS because I read that it's up to them. She had no sympathy and was short and rude, didn't even try and help me. Every time I call to make a payment they are rude and have no customer service skills. They never side with a customer which I think is horrible especially when they are in the wrong.

I will NEVER sign with them again! I cannot wait until I'm done with them. I have no idea how they are still in business especially after I see all these horrible reviews of them doing what I want. Their payment options are crap. It's 2017. How don't they have online services? It like they want you to be late. When you ask for a manager they refuse over and over and when you finally get one they are just as rude and unhelpful. I can go on and on about how this company is trash. I really hope something gets done about how they treat people.

Original review: March 28, 2017

Pieces of ** is what they are. I've paid 7200 on a 10k car and put 3500 down so I shouldn't have any more payments but they seem to think I owe them 2600 still. Well ** them and they need to be investigated but since they will just throw money to whoever investigates and they will pretend everything is good.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Lobel Financial is the worst finance company in the United States of America. I was financed for a car that was a lemon and now my wages are being garnished because they sued me for lost damages. This was already after I surrendered the vehicle. But not before I had to replace the transmission. I was never late on a payment and never short but I had to make several repairs to the vehicle within the first year I had it. Before I surrendered the vehicle the motor blew a head gasket. If you are in the Fresno, CA area stay away from Lobel and stay away from Payless Auto.

Original review: March 10, 2017

Pet monkeys can run a better company! Poor customer service. Blames customer for employees ** up! Supervisor rude and disrespectful. Their employees need to be trained better and they need to listen to their customers. I highly recommend no one use this company. They will screw you over and lie to cover their ass. They get a 0 rate from me. I will never use them again and they like to do payments that you do not approve when you're already months ahead without authorization. Fraud company. Pet monkeys can do better. They got one star because I had to give it so I can post this review.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I believe this company is a huge scammer! I got this vehicle from a dealer that I believe know the company very well and both are scammers. Stealing in the back of people. The dealers sell me a vehicle 2004 Mercedes Benz C240 who value is around 3,000 to 4,000 (book blue) but he ask me 7,000 and get me quick approved at Lobel Financial who ask me to pay back 10,000 (3 times or 2 times the vehicle current price) since I was need in vehicle purchase. I taught the price was fair as the car was a Mercedes Benz. The dealer lie that it was a 2014 but it was a 2004 as shown in the original documents. He stated that they did maintenance and everything is new but only after 1 months! The brake start to do problem! Now I start to understand why he want me to be financed and did not put warranty of the vehicle.

After only 3 months Lobel start to create problem by asking me insurance coverage that the dealers already fax to them and threatening me to sue me in court! 3 months only! But I threat them back! While I ask my insurance to sent them the coverage requested, I start to pay my vehicle while I was feeling scammed! But I could not cancel the contract anymore after 2 years of payment and fight while their service is so bad! 1) You cannot pay online. 2) Paying over the phone they charge you a fee of 10.00 dollars that I ever understand why? 3) By money order (MoneyGram, Western Union they charge you a fee of 12 to 25 dollars). 4) By mails they receive your payment late and never sent you a proof of receipt payment. Either a true statement with your payment and balance. Either payment history. (I keep the track by myself belong with my receipt.)

Now I had a balance of 90.00 dollars and spoke to their representative that I will pay this Friday after work by going to their office since they are not option online and by phone they charge me. In my surprise as many people complaint already. In the morning my vehicle was gone! How a huge disconvenient! Principally in rain period. And I work two jobs so I can was unable to work 2 jobs anymore who is lost of money from me. Beside that I could not do my routine as pay bill and go to work! Now I am trying to get my vehicle back but I am suing them in the courthouse in Glendale since it is the closest branch where they do business. I want anyone who did get hurt indirectly or directly to their badly business to either contact the court or the FCB (Federal Credit Bureau) to report them. Or come in the court the day of the hiring.

We cannot let them keep hurting and abusing people; principally if it is us who make them rich and help them to be able to stay in business. It is also the way they conduct their business with a website so poor! You cannot even log in to your account to see your balance and option. Beside if they borrow you money that you still pay what is their right to take your property when you still paying them and did not fall in default or stated that you are unable to pay. I am attend to use all my power to make them out of business. My vehicle value is 3,500 but I am paying them 10,000 and already pay them 6,000 something! What they had to complaint about it?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I had my car repoed a few weeks back for being 5 days late on my payment. It took them three days to get me the info to get my car back. The whole time they told me they needed approval from manager to get the car released. I provided them with all the info they asked for. They continued to tell me they would call me back and give me the price needed to pay. It took 3 days to get the info. When they finally gave it to me, I was told that it had been ready for 2 days. So I got charged the extra days of storage where I was charged for personal property storage which was stored in lockers. They left everything in the car saying they were going to get to it the next day. But still charged me for the storage...

I got my car back and now they are saying I haven't been covered in 4 months, and they have been charging me extra. The car has been fully covered the whole time. I've been with State Farm and they send in paperwork and copies of insurance policies every month. And Lobel says they have my insurance records from June. Telling me it was a month to month policy. Which is impossible since State Farm does 6 month policies. Insurance has contacted them 3 time in a week providing info they requested and they are saying they are not accepting my insurance, charging me extra money for them not updating the files, telling me it takes 5 days to update and they had my info 4 months and have not updated file. What can I do? They are horrible crooks.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

So my car payment is due on the 3rd of every month so September 7 I made a payment leaving me with 150 left to pay. Now in the month of October I owe a car payment. October 19th the morning that I was going to pay my account off I wake up to my car gone trying to take my baby to preschool. Due to a past due amount of 30 dollars they say if I would have paid it, it would have not happened. From all the reviews I read it seems that this place is a scam very unprofessional and it is very clear that they do not communicate.

Waited two days for them to give me answer about the amount I would have to pay to get my car back and the reason was they needed 3 references on top of the 9 I gave them when I first got the car. They told me that I would be receiving a call from management giving me my amount. Management never called I had to call. I spoke to about 7 different people and still I didn't understand the fees they are charging. I agree it's time for a class lawsuit. I'm done and I will not let them get away with the business that they are conducting.

Original review: July 14, 2016

Have you had your vehicle repoed when you weren't behind? So I have never had a problem until now. My truck was repoed Sunday night. I thought it was stolen due to the fact that I wasn't behind on payments. So anyways they asked me to show proof of insurance when I called them. I said I have faxed it in multiple times which I did and one of the ladies said she got it. So I'm clear right? Wrong! By law you cannot repo a vehicle when you are not behind. I paid 800 to get my truck back... insurance fees and repo charges. This place is a scam and a lot of people have gotten the worst from them. I have heard they have lost multiple lawsuits and surprised they are in business. Time for court... Who is in???

Original review: June 2, 2016

We got our car repoed yesterday. I didn't even know til I went outside to go pick my kids up from school to find the car gone. Mind you I have a 3 month old and her car seat was in the vehicle. I call my fiance. Took him forever to get some answers and they told him since he wasn't with the vehicle and was in possession I now have to file a credit application because no 3rd party drivers apparently. We have had the car since December and they told my fiance that he didn't pay the $78 difference. I'm completely confused and don't know what we should do. The girls on the phone are rude and don't let you talk to anyone higher up. I will never go through this company again. We have another vehicle financed and never had any problems with that finance company. Lobel even told my fiance "we don't want your money. It's about you not paying the right amount."

Original review: May 31, 2016

Yesterday my car repoed. When the repo man was here we had the money in hand to paid whatever was owed in the rear. The repo man told my husband that lobel didn't give him any paperwork with that information on it. Actually he had no paperwork at all. So he repoed the car. So this morning I called them to pay what was owed and they advised me that the only way I will be getting my car back is to pay my loan in full. I told them this would of been avoided if they sent the repo man with the paperwork so I could of paid it. The customer service there is AWFUL! They never let you talk to management. They leave you on hold forever then all of a sudden you get disconnected. You call the corporate number - they send you back to the other number. You call the legal department - you stay on hold and then all of a sudden you get disconnected.

Never make payment arrangements with them coz they will repo it anyways. Then they tell me I am a risk because the loan is new. I understand that when I brought up that I had more income. The minute they heard it was SSI and SSA they wouldn't have any more to say to me. The car lot I got the car from didn't want to add that income along with my job income. When I first got the loan I tried adding more income. They wouldn't do it either. What are they prejudice against people on government assistance? Lobel is a very bad company to go through. The customer service sucks. They are very, very rude. They are liars. They dont help u with **.

Original review: May 25, 2016

I needed a car to drive for a rideshare company, and since my credit is terrible (willingly refusing to pay child support) but Lobel took the risk and have me the loan. So far I have made all my payments on time, and I appreciate their service. However, payments cannot be made online, and if payments are made by other means, a service charge of 10 dollars will be added. Please, Lobel, allow for online payments. :)

Original review: Feb. 27, 2016

Lobel Financial jacked up my payment by $66 a month before the 1st payment was due. They finally repo'd the vehicle. I requested, via registered mail, documentation for the sale of the vehicle. They refuse to provide. They've employed a shyster lawyer by the name of Kopolow to garnish my wages for an amount of money not owed. I disputed his claim, requested the same info from them, and he too failed to provide. Go to your State's AG, BBB, Consumer Protection, FTC, Secretaries of State. Class action lawsuit is warranted. An attorney who represents them is part of the Company, Gary D. Lobel. Check out the Orange County Superior Court website. San Diego has over 130 current complaints on this company.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2016

I was used as a reference for a buyer and I continue to get calls asking if I can reach this person - I have told them no and I don't even know where he is, to stop calling me, they continue to ask questions and tell me I shouldn't let him use me as a reference. I am not the debtor and have asked 4 collectors to stop calling me and to take me off the list. They still call my work #.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2016

Luxury Motorsports intentionally misrepresented and mislead my wife and I giving false oral and written representations, misleading price claims, use of bait and switch techniques, failure to provide promised services and failure to honor advertised sales price of vehicle listed online costing buyer thousands more than necessary after contacting them via their website for a used vehicle. Finance Manager packed the loan with unwanted add ons after buyer told him he didnt want or need it. The lender, Lobel Financial was aware and took part in the deceptive acts altering contract. Adding GAP insurance when buyer didnt even know what it was charging me monthly. False claims of not having insurance information in order to add huge fees to loan amount monthly. Lobel Financial actually CHARGED OFF MY LOAN, for no reason and to date has yet to send me notification all the while accepting my monthly payments.

Complaints against both companies with the Arizona Department of Financial Institutions were filed but they havent done anything for me so Im now moving to Attorney General and the FTC seeking justice. To date Lobel has been paid over 22,000 for a car valued at approx 5,000. Over 3.5 years and they claim I owe them 4600 more. That is straight theft! They ruined my credit but I will seek justice and not stop until I get it. They are a THREAT TO OUR COMMUNITY. Lobel Financial has been sued so many times costing them $1000's. Makes you wonder why are they still in business?

Lobel Financial Corporation Company Information