2. Finance

HSBC credit card

HSBC Credit Cards
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.47/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

HSBC Credit Cards Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2020

Honestly the APR rate is good and the intro offer was 18 months 0%. But wow what a BOOMER disaster their website and app is. The app on your phone is useless and you cant pay your bill. Also the security is really excessive where you have a username and password, a digital security device code, and a special code in addition to that they text you. How ridiculous. If you get a new phone you need to call support and give your first born child to reauthenticate your new phone.

When you go to the website to pay, the system looks like its from 1999. It is extremely difficult to setup autopay, or to even find the place to pay your bill at all. Funny how in both places on the web and in the app it is VERY difficult to pay. I have never experienced such a terrible outdated site. I was able to iMessage banking support, and it was fast and efficient, so it seems some things they have going right, but this website needs to be overhauled, and it's long, long, long overdue.

Original review: April 21, 2020

This (And, only this card) has been the WORST CARD I have ever signed up for. Their did it all app is a JOKE. Have sent them repeated feedbacks and e mails and phone calls but their app is still the same old cumbersome process. Ease of trying to lay off or see my statement on my iPad (Well, too bad..cannot do anything from iPad unlike other smarter and more efficient credit cards like Discover, AMEX, BoA, Cap ONE, Citibank (AAdvantage) etc.).

To make it worse, have seem in touch digital password options only here, and God forbid if ever have a log in issue, GOOD LUCK - Their system will have You remember not just ONE password, but this digital code and that digital code. Then one almost gives up and tries calling the so advertised 24/7 customer support and guess what one hears early morning (office are currently closed - Really?). HSBC should close down its Horror shop and no wonder why this bank is in such a horrible fiscal shape.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

HSBC has the worst customer service and they operate like it's 1999. Their website and app are so old and often do not work. You can't pay your bill from their app. Your available credit is not accurate. So many bugs in their system and their customer service forces you to talk to a chat bot who is dumb and their actual agents are slow to respond and provide generic responses with zero help. THE WORST EXPERIENCE. DO NOT USE!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

If I could give a lower score I would. Use or find any other provider. They make the transfer so needless complicated. It is, as far as I could tell, nearly impossible. I have used CITI, Discover, Chase and Bank of America. All are superior banks and products. Save your time and look elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I got a Credit Card from HSBC and the first time I tried to call the customer service center it was a disaster. The people barely speak any English and they lie. I asked for a supervisor since the Agent was so incompetent, he told me nobody is available. I called back a minute later and told the Agent I want to speak to a Supervisor and lo and behold I got transferred to a supervisor. She was trying but also incompetent and barely spoke English - I told her to cancel everything and filed a complaint. (Holding my breath that something actually happens.) Stay clear of this Company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I've had an HSBC credit card for 2 years. Several times during this period, I did not receive a monthly statement of charges due. I will always pay my statement in full after I receive it. I was hit with interest charges and late fees. When I talked to someone and complained, they eliminated the late charge but kept the interest charges. After this occurred several times, it's obvious no at the bank knows how to correct this or is not concerned about this.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have about a dozen credit cards, all in good standing, I never had a bad banking experience until I got HSBC last year. Since then it has been nothing but bad experiences. I simply used my card, which was enough for them to repeatedly freeze it. They tell me to call in about the "suspicious" purchases. When I call in they asked me to answer some questions to verify my identity, I answer all the questions correctly; Then they tell me to provide them my "access code" so I dug through some year-old paperwork and gave it to them; Then they tell me to email them a copy of my drivers license and a current electric bill, I do that too.

Now they insist that I go to one of their branches to show my ID to a bank teller... Their nearest branch is 60 miles away (120 miles round trip). There is no end to the amount of your time they are willing to waste. There are lots of credit card companies, you don't want to apply for their card, it's not worth it. They are inept, disrespectful, and their horrible customer service is well documented on sites like this... They have a TERRIBLE reputation across all platforms. Avoid HSBC as if your credit rating depends on it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I tried multiple times today to pay my credit card bill while before the cut off time as to avoid any late charges. Finding that it was impossible to add my bank information, I use the chat feature three different times with three different people who are assured me that I could not pay my bill on the app. I would not have to go to a branch. At 4:35 I drove to the local branch in Concord California on Diamond Boulevard. Rushing in to make my payment using my debit card from another bank. Once inside at 4:57 I was told by the branch manager that I could not make my payment with my debit card from another bank. I explain my frustration with HSBC and then was told by one of the tellers that I absolutely could make my payment using my laptop. I just could not make a payment using my mobile phone. I informed the teller in branch manager that three different chat people told me I could not make a payment over the phone and had to go to a branch.

I returned home and tried again to add my information to their app. Although their instructions told me there were add buttons for adding other outside bank accounts, no such buttons exist! Once again I talk to a fourth chat person, who again stated you could not make a payment using their app but that she would take the information over the phone and charge me a late fee as it was after 5 o’clock now.

I forgot to mention that on my way home I called a second time to the bank. Apparently their credit card people go home before 4 o’clock California time. The second time I called, some guy in India took 10 minutes worth of information from me and assured me that the credit card people are still there, but when trying to transfer the car found out that they were not there and immediately hung up on me. Who has heard of a bank that will not let you make a payment on your credit card using their application? Who has heard of four different people giving you different information? Please be aware before you go to this bank you will be lied to...And be charged late fees regardless of your due diligence. By the way, their mobile app is one of the worst I’ve ever seen and I worked for three different banks.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

Applied and then read the reviews (should have read first). Called to cancel application. They said it was declined because of no proof of income. Not for lack of income, but proof, even though they didn't ask, and there was no place for attachments to the online application, nor was there an email provided. HSBC stands for Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corp. Look it up. Hope they go back to Shanghai, uh, I mean London, instead of preying on Americans. We have Republicans to do that already.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

HSBC credit card is one of the worst experiences ever, opened account. Set up alerts to make payments online thru bank, never got alert, says it takes two billing cycles to set up, Online it did not show payment due, but Philippines called for payment!! Very piss poor customer service, Do Not open an account with this bank!!

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information