Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
HSBC Credit Cards
3.30/5

HSBC credit card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

282 HSBC Credit Cards Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 17, 2019

I own this card almost 2 years and it came to my mind that HSBC Australia uses different math than the rest of the world. I used offer to transfer other credit card balance for 24 month for 0% per annum. It is somewhat fake unless you do not use this card at all.

Concerns:

1. Pretend that you have transfer of $4000 (for 2 years), then you spend $500 during billing period. When statement is issued you pay $250. In these circumstances you will be billed 19.99% interest for the outstanding $4250. If you want to avoid this rip-off, you pay $500 or more. Imagine if you had transferred $1000, spent $5000 during billing period and paid off $4990. Then HSBC will charge you 19.99% interest for $6000. I asked twice “are you sure?" In my scale of values, you should charge interest on $10 only…?”, however, that is what I was told by the representative on phone when I asked how they calculate.

2. Pretend that you have transfer of $4000 (for 2 years), Then you go to Harvey Norman and purchase laundry machine for $1500. Then you decide to return the product as it does not fit ion your environment. Store, of course, returns money to your credit card. HSBC though, allocated money towards $4000 that you have borrowed and at the end of billing period you MUST pay anyway $1500. Otherwise 19.99% applies to the entire outstanding amount. The transferred balance will be reduced for $1500 even if you do not want to. The representative on phone said that this is how the system calculates the statements and he (representative) could not do anything about it.

3. On top of it, every transaction with overseas merchants is accompanied by not only “Special” exchange rate (similar to cash exchange rate at airport), but also some “international transaction fee”. I was under impression that “VISA” and “PLATINUM” on to of it is designed to be used internationally to deliver convenience and assurance. Apparently not this one.

Conclusion: HSBC offer is a trap. Had I known this; I would have never, ever, ever, ever applied to HSBS. They call it “Platinum”. Recommendation: STAY AWAY!

Original review: June 27, 2019

HSBC CREDIT CARD FALSE OFFER. ABOUT THE OFFER:

- Buy 1 ticket and get 1 free with HSBC Credit Cards.
- Offer valid on BookMyShow mobile app only.

- Offer can be availed on anyday for Saturday shows.

The offer can be availed once per HSBC credit card per month. It is valid up to 31 August 2019 only. Because of this offer only I bought this card, other I could have been bought some other credit card. But it is now changed to - [Offer can be availed only on Saturday for Saturday shows.]. Just for name sake they are giving this offer. Anyhow I am going to cancel the card. Well, this is my advice - if you are saying any offer stick to it, otherwise don't provide this kind of offer. Now it’s your turn. It all depends on you.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2019

In seeking a balance transfer card with 0% APR, I was directed to a few cards. I was not interested in having annual fees, rewards, etc. The online application process was easy, got a confirmation email, then 3 days later approval email that the card was on its way! I too had seen so many negative reviews, I was cautiously optimistic. I do not know why others have had such a bad experience, but I was able to transfer another card balance, make online purchase, and pay-at-the-pump for gas. Within the same week, I went online and paid 2 separate times to cover a purchase I made, all without incident. Customer service hold time was longish, but got detailed info and got my questions answered correctly. So far, no issues and I expect to be able to pay off that bal transfer well within the 15 months allowed w/ no interest. After that only 14.24%. Well worth my effort in getting the card. Thank you HSBC.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I wish I had reviewed these complaints before getting a card with HSBC. Everything posted about this company is true. Believe it all because if you don't you will find out the hard way. I made purchases, paid the card before the statement and they put a fraud alert on my account. Now, I can't pay the card off or close the account. Spent 3 days now with their fraudulent fraud department.

On hold for hours EVERY TIME you call. Then when you send in the required documentation they request months later, you have to sit by your phone because if you miss their call you have to start all over again. They called me yesterday and I said hello 5 times and they said nothing and then hung up. I guess they filled their requirement by "calling" me. It's a fraud and scam to charge fees and not let you make payment to avoid interest charges and then won't let you make a payment. Scam! I have two other CC's and can handle fraud issues in a matter of minutes not DAYS. This has to be illegal and surely a lawsuit can be filed against them. I'll be checking with an attorney to see what options are.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Seriously, I never ever saw such cheap company service. In 2019th they charges us for calling customer service, begger sale, at_least start charges after receiving call by service employee, but no they put you on hold too long time and charge you so company can do payments of this employees. You required 25-40 INR to ask your simple query. I request you reader please don't go with HSBC Credit Card. If already have then stop its use. It's big company. They dont require customers now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: May 13, 2019

I opened a credit card for the advertised balance transfer offer. Like other reviews on here I spent close to 15 hours of my personal time trying to get the assistance I need. I was dragged through the mud to get the access to my online account that needed 3 codes, 1 to my phone and 2 to use online including an "EBN" number that does not come in the mail with the card. When in my account to take advantage of the "advertised" offer web page gave me an error after submitting the balance transfer request.

Along the way I had to give out "all" and I mean "all" of my personal identifying information to over 22 overseas persons on the phone to which most of them hung up on me or talked in circles and then left me to a false transfer. No "manager" ever followed up or could give me a clear answer or direct me to the appropriate department. I got an ** branch manager who refused to help me - told me to go away. One of "agents" closed my account without my authorization - that took another 3 hours of calling to find out.

This has cost me personal time - incurred interest charges, cancellation of my vacation and I am unable to get a competitor's card - after opening HSBC - now I get automatically declined with a 700+ credit score. Can someone let me know if there is a class action against them for this type of false advertising? I am willing to go all the way on this - they wasted so much of my time lying to me. One smug ** called me just rub in my that "the bank doesn't have to give me anything" after I requested a record of the posted transaction that was being handled to be fixed and then all of sudden cancelled. I have received balance transfer checks in the mail - with high postage paid on the envelope - but no correspondence after 2 weeks of awaiting my "issues" to be fixed - and zero notification of account cancellation - but rather I am the cardholder of a closed account?

How in the hell are they allowed to operate on American soil and have shut down all possible means of United States based assistance for credit card accounts and then block you from using the financial account that was opened at my financial risk(s) and then deny me access to its features and services!!! What in the holy ** hell is going on? In my determination managed to reach someone in Buffalo NY who told me that to fix my situation, "You would have to get very lucky." I have filed with the FDIC, BBB and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (which is governing agency over HSBC). If you want open a claim do it through them. Anybody have resolution or legal recourse for similar issues please let me know.

Original review: May 9, 2019

HBSC is terrible. I called to check the balance of my credit card and to see if my statement had been mailed. I was placed on hold for an hour, and when I did get to speak with someone they shoved me over to what they said was the "credit card dept", which turned out to be card security. I verified who I was a via them sending me a verification code. And then they proceeded to demand that I send them a copy of my drivers license and other verifying documents. I told them there was no way I was sending them a copy of my drivers license. I had no idea how they would use that data once it was out of my control.

Again I demanded to know my balance and if the statement had been sent out, and if they could not tell me my balance then tell me if my statement had been sent. All I could get out of them is that they needed to verify the account. Now I'm pissed off and I told them if I do not see the statement they are not getting paid; I don't care if they send it to collections. Then I proceeded to say if and when I do see the statement I am going to pay the balance and close the account they just lost a customer. Be glad to be rid of these guys cause. They are terrible at customer service. They just run you in circles and offer nothing. I'll never do business with this outfit again.. BTW customer service is from 9 am to 5pm M-F ONLY. Lame.

Original review: May 9, 2019

The bank and its staff are not trained, unqualified and will unnecessarily create barriers to facilitate simple transactions. I was unable to reset my banking password, HSBC was slow in responding and I have ultimately wasted min of 8-10 hours over the course of few weeks trying to get access to online banking. I will never deal with this bank again, and strongly recommend for anyone to stay away from them and choose a better banking partner.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I called HSBC to get clarity on our recent statement for a commercial card. The statement arrived sooner than we expected. We've paid the minimum but I wanted to clarify a few simple things:- How much is the balance due? - When does the balance need to be transferred by to avoid interest? - What options do we have for making this transfer? - If we are a four days later than this date, what are the charges and interest? - Is there any way we can arrange to pay a few days late when a grant payment arrives without incurring charges?

I'm currently 2hrs40 on the phone. I've known the answers to all of their security questions so haven't cause any delays, and have asked those questions quite clearly. HSBC have transferred me to speak with Shahil, Agne, Gee, Morahd and Mario in different departments, none of whom can confidently answer any of those questions. Some have answered those questions completely incorrectly and when asked to clarify haven't been able to. At the moment I need to pay on either the 7th or the 23rd (I'm pretty sure it's the 11th, but no one has said that yet), and will be getting penalties between 0% and 22% PER MONTH!

After a 40 minute hold stint we've now got Damien, and I'm back on hold. I'm pretty sure HSBC are obliged to answer these questions, but ever since I said "help me to avoid paying the interest", I'd describe this call as incredibly obstructive.Damien just told me the wrong date, he counted wrong by a week. This is terrifying. If you have any choice, avoid these guys. Oh good Lord, I got disconnected. That must be illegal.

Original review: April 26, 2019

These people are the worst. Customer service is more than horrible. Did not speak to one person out of 6 who spoke English. I wish I would have read these reviews before applying for a 0 % balance transfer. I was told 4 different things, received a statement for 5000.00 on 4/18, called today and they say 0 balance. Balance transfer checks were cancelled, I was charged by the companies I was paying off, because HSBC cancelled the checks. None of this has made sense, they are horrible. Glad to be rid of them.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I had a security hold placed on my credit card due to my making too many payments! HSBC did nothing to contact me, no phone call, email or text saying there was an issue. I initially called and waited on hold for maybe 20 minutes and was told to call back the next day to talk to the security department. When I called I waited another 20-30 min on hold and was told to email a copy of a bill to prove my address, I emailed it multiple times and it would not go through. The phone got disconnected and I called back and was on hold for 44 minutes before I hung up. I tried calling again later and I was on hold for over 1 hr and 49 minutes without speaking to a single person! I ended up hanging up again.

I contacted the company through their chat option and their first response was for me to call the same number I had been trying, eventually, the person on the chat got ahold of someone in the department and got the hold cleared, this took approximately 30 minutes to accomplish. Now I'm being told the payment that was fully taken out of my bank 4 days ago will take several days to post to my account even though my other payments usually post the same or the next day! I am unable to use this credit card due to the ineptitude of their security and customer service department! If you never have to call for customer service or their security department this is not a bad card however if you ever have an issue make some popcorn and have a drink because you will be waiting forever!

Original review: April 16, 2019

This is the worst company to even think about getting a credit card from. They have the worst customer service and this company is a complete FRAUD AND A SCAM!!! They should be investigated for fraudulent practices. Serious ineptitude and many don't listen, don't speak properly. Most of the call centers are overseas and will transfer you multiple times and you still don't get real answers. And from what I see here they are also proned to hacking so your personal information are at risk. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM, YOU WILL BE PUTTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CREDIT AT RISK and they will not care, will not help, and cannot verify anything.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

This is the most horrible bank I have ever dealt with; and I am 72 years old so not new to this. I will not bore you with a story that is repetitive to so many of the others. I can verify that they are not exaggerating. Do yourself a favor and stay away. It‘s a nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

They have the worst customer service you can imagine. Mine was hacked soon after I started using it. It has been a nightmare. Their website is not secure, the reps give you various answers to the same problem and you will spend hour trying to get it fixed and it will not happen. The wear and tear on your nervous system is deadly in stress. Do not ever use this card. They induce people with promises of $150.00 to $300.00 credit if $2500.00 charged and paid for within the first three months. You will never see it. This group should not be allowed to do business anywhere. They sent my statements to the wrong address and I could go on forever, just do NOT use this card. Unless you hate peace of mind.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Do not apply for or waste your time with this credit card. You cannot sign up for online banking easily or even after 45 minutes on the phone transferring to different people and offices. Must get a PIN or telephone access code first and while that might sound simple, unfortunately it is the most difficult process I have seen so far. I am a middle aged man, have an average 800+ credit score for the last decade at least, have every major credit card in my wallet and this is the worst CC experience of my life without exaggeration. After another marathon phone call (Intl) when I was told they couldn't help me until I returned to the US, I'd had it. I am just glad I never charged anything on the card and I told them to cancel the card immediately. I WILL NEVER EVER APPLY FOR OR USE ANY HSBC PRODUCT EVER AGAIN! Future applicants be wary, this company has something significantly wrong with it. Avoid HSBC like Ebola or the bubonic plague.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I applied for this card due to the 18 month no interest. I received the card, activated it, and then the next tried to transfer balances. When I was in the online account the statement said no credit available. I attempted the live chat and got told to call customer service. I talked with customer service who told me their Verification Department needed to speak to me to verify information. Then I was told they only work from 8 am to 5 pm Monday thru Friday. How are you supposed to call them when you are at work during the same hours? I attempted to call the next morning, but was on hold for an hour and 40 minutes.

I finally hung up, called the customer service number on the card and talked with a CSR to close the account. She said she would have to call the Verification Department to get them to close the account and HOPEFULLY she could get through quicker. She came back on the phone about 15 minutes later and said the account was closed and I would be getting the letter I requested stating that in 7 business days. DO NOT deal with these people. This is definitely the worse company I have dealt with in the past 35 years of credit cards and financial dealings.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I got pre approved letter in my mail and I applied online for this credit card. After apply it didn’t tell me decision right away. It says, "Your application is being reviewed." Then after 3 days they wanted my driver license, paycheck stubs and address proof. I trusted and I emailed my documents to them. After few days I was told they couldn’t verify my identity. Are you kidding??? I emailed everything they asked me to do so. This company is a big scam. I called credit bureau and told them about it. So I won’t get identity problems in the future. I wish I wouldn’t have provided all the info to them. Oh well, we learn from our mistake. Never ever going to trust in this company again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I applied for this card online and, in the course of my application, I had to step away and the application "timed out". I started again, from scratch because there was no option to get back into the existing application. I completed the application and was quickly approved. For the next week, I have received numerous, almost threatening emails to complete my application. I tried Live Chat to have someone cancel that application and was told that had to be done by phone. Yeah... it'll expire eventually.

Today I received the card. I tried to activate it online and already started running into glitches in the site. I came here and I am relieved I haven't used it or transferred any other balances to it. I will lock it up and never use it based on the average complaints and 1 star reviews here. I will however, monitor the account to make sure nothing suspicious happens. If it does, I will promptly close the account. This entire group of reviews is downright frightening! How is this allowed to continue without any consequences to this organization? Appalling!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

This is obviously a scam. Used card once. Immediate hold put on the card. 5 days and almost 5 HOURS on hold and no live person. This is a disgrace and should be stopped. DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE CARDS. What a mess.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

They sent me an invitation for a "pre-qualified" credit card in the mail. How I wish I had torn that up! Now it's 2 months later, I've literally spent hours in phone calls and emails and document-sending to them. So many repeated and varied screw-ups on their part! Big big big waste of time to deal with these totally incompetent people. Do yourself a big favor and don't bother doing any kind of business with them!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

It is not a bad thing to be paranoid about conducting finance online. I appreciate when a company makes it hard to access personal information that certainly would be considered sensitive. In some small way that shows me that they care about the gravity of my personal data and that they are willing to take measures to protect that data and that is a very good thing.

I have an HSBC credit card and I use the website as a way to view my balance and payment information. When I first got the card I was able to login to the HSBC Bank page with my username and password. About two months ago they added another layer of security by forcing me to log in using my username, my birthday, and then my password. My birthday is not high-security information; in fact, many personal data websites will list your name, the city you live in and your date of birth. Adding my birthday was not the best way to harden and validate the authentication process. A month ago, citing concerns over security, HSBC adopted ReCaptcha on the login page. The sequence to access the page is to enter the username, birthday and password and the possibility of having to solve a ReCaptcha screen (pictures of traffic lights, storefronts, etc.).

This morning, despite multiple attempts at trying to solve the ReCaptcha image of headlights which I believe was correct, I was told to keep solving until I could be verified. Eventually, a screen came up which said; "Your credentials have been temporarily revoked. Please call 1-800-555-1234." This phone call put me on a long wait line to talk to a customer service representative.

My first complaint. My birthday is not private data, would not a pin code created by the user work better? My second complaint. ReCaptcha obviously is not a good way to deter unwanted traffic if, in turn, it inconveniences customers who have a legitimate need to access the website. Resolve: There are a host of two-factor authentication tools out there that far surpass birth dates and being able to identify street lights from grainy photos. A few banks that I do business with will send me a code in the form of a text message which is good for a limited time on top of the username/password combination. I would never complain about security but the current security used by HSBC is adequate at best and the recent additional layers add nothing but inconvenience and annoyance for legitimate users of the website.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Set up payment as usual this month. Went to use card and it decline. Was told 3 days for payment to clear. Payment clear my bank on 12/17/18 yet being told I have to wait 'til 12/26/18 for the card to be unlocked. We have a superior credit rating and have never been treated like this by any other bank or credit card. Canceling this card. Not worth the aggravation.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

7 calls in 3 plus hours of holding, I have gotten nowhere. Just got my HSBC credit card last week, activated it and went to use it only to be declined. I call HSBC customer service and was told that my card was blocked due to security or fraud. I've never even used the card before. They transferred me to the security fraud dept and I've been on hold ever since. After 7 calls and 3 plus hours of holding I am ready to just close the account, but guess what? I can't even do that until I talk to the security fraud dept. By far the biggest joke of a company, up there with Sprint and Comcast. Would not recommend! Wish I had read these reviews before I applied for this ** card. So pissed I could punch a ** hole in the wall. HSBC is a joke and does not value you or your time.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

This bank is a total scam. Cannot be a real bank. I applied because of the zero percent interest rate for 18 months. I got a credit limit of $5000. I used a convenience check to make a deposit into my checking account for $4800. Was charged a $192 balance transfer fee. I logged in a couple weeks later and paid that $192 fee plus another $200. Three days later they closed my account for non-payment and fraud. They didn't honor the convenience check. It was reversed on my checking account after a month and I was charged over $500 in bounced check charges and insufficient funds. HSBC will not get back to me. I have tried calling them over a dozen times but sit on hold for five or six hours and then they hang up.

I got through on Saturday after waiting on hold for 7 hours and 14 minutes only to be told that department is closed and to call back Monday. I have now been on hold 4 hours and 47 minutes. If they don't get to you before 5 pm, they leave for the day and you will never get through. So you have to call at 8 am and then will sit on hold for 9 hours without getting through if they don't hang up on you first. They are keeping my $392 in payments I made plus I was charged over $500 by the bank where I have my checking account. This should be illegal.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

After receiving a new card, I have spent in excess of 4 hours over the last week on hold trying to get the card working and access to the online account I opened. There has even been up to a half hour wait for initial contact who tell me they have no access to the account information and send me to another department which never answers the phone. One time, I was on hold for an hour and forty minutes and then disconnected. I just got the card for its no foreign transaction fees but it is certainly not worth it. No one I talked to could even cancel the account. I tried live chat too with no success, I have had charge cards for 40 years and never experienced anything like this. My suggestion is that you pass on this company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I live in Japan and wanted some information from HSBC. I have phoned them in the past but found this to be expensive and only after a 30 minute plus phone call did I find out that they couldn't assist me with my credit card inquiry anyway. I therefore decided to use the secure email communication, but did not receive a reply within the 48 hours they claim is needed. I sent a second email and still nothing. I then had long and protracted Live Chats with employees who seemed determined not to answer any questions I asked them, but kept asking me to call the phone line. Each Live Chat operator gave me different information (none of which directly answered my questions). The only consistent part of my experience was its sheer awfulness and each employee's persistence to not answer any actual questions that I asked and pass the buck. Take your banking elsewhere would be my advice.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Moving to the US in 2014 with Google, HSBC was among the few banking options we had available that did not require prior credit score history. HSBC turned out to be a nightmare bank and the second we could switch banks we did so. Here's just a sample of the problems: Approximately 2-3 times per month the HSBC MasterCard was blocked for suspected fraud. This required calling their service center which has an average wait time of 45-60 minutes. In our two years of HSBC service, the credit card incurred fraudulent charges over 5 times. Each time it took months to recover the charges. Calling the HSBC customer support team is horrible and stress inducing. You first need to wait 20-30 minutes MINIMUM while they play 1980's Muzak music. They are generally incompetent, transfer you between departments because they are extremely siloed.

Their online bank is shockingly bad with a terrible user experience. Their mobile app is even worse. It's basically a webview powered app with stuttery performance, weak feature support and a terrible authentication flow. They have only two branches in SF with limited hours. Overall, HSBC has been such a cause of stress and frustration. We changed to First Republic and it really is night and day, but I'm sure changing to ANY OTHER bank would be a massive upgrade. Stay away from HSBC.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I opened an account in November 2018. I received my card and activated it. I then set up an online account that I couldn't figure out how to use because my account never showed up. I attempted to use my card a couple of weeks after I activated it and got declined. I call customer service and they told me that Security Department needed information. I told them that I never received notification and they told me that they were waiting for me to call in. I was then transferred to the Security Department but could not get through because they close at 5 pm. I was told that I had to speak with them and that Customer Service could not help me and that I had to call back on Monday. I called back on Monday and was on hold for over three hours and nothing.

I called customer service back and they told me that they would call me back when they had someone from the department. After 5 pm, they called me and said that they couldn't get in contact with the department and they were now closed. I called customer service back and asked to close my account and was told that they again couldn't do that and the Security Department had to handle it. Here I am on Tuesday and I was disconnected by them after waiting for an hour and a half and now I'm on the phone again and have been waiting for over an hour and I just want to cancel my card. Honestly, this had been the worst experience of my life. Please for your sake, DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this horrible company. Capital One, Citi Bank, Amex... The options are endless, just please go with someone else.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I applied and received the HSBC gold MasterCard and activated about 10 days ago. I've called every single day twice a day waiting over an hour. Each time they keep trying to push me to another department and says call fraud or security. I don't understand it. I don't know what to do HSBC. I'm going to be putting this all over Facebook and Twitter. Also you have no idea how terrible your customer service is. I have tried such numerous times without a single correction or somebody to help me. My new HSBC gold MasterCard credit card still does not work and I cannot get through to anybody. Please call me and correct this asap. Get a hold of me and get this fixed right away.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I received my first statement two months late and there was a missed payment fee on it. I tried to reach customer support, and after calling the phone number on the statement I was put on a silent hold for a long time, and was disconnected, and I called again to be put on another lengthy silent hold. I got to speak to someone who gave me another number to call. I called that number to be told I need to call during business hours, but the following day I called during business hours and I got the same message. I have never experienced such a bad service.

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information