Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

HSBC credit card

HSBC Credit Cards
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.87/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

HSBC Credit Cards Reviews

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

If I could give a lower score I would. Use or find any other provider. They make the transfer so needless complicated. It is, as far as I could tell, nearly impossible. I have used CITI, Discover, Chase and Bank of America. All are superior banks and products. Save your time and look elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I got a Credit Card from HSBC and the first time I tried to call the customer service center it was a disaster. The people barely speak any English and they lie. I asked for a supervisor since the Agent was so incompetent, he told me nobody is available. I called back a minute later and told the Agent I want to speak to a Supervisor and lo and behold I got transferred to a supervisor. She was trying but also incompetent and barely spoke English - I told her to cancel everything and filed a complaint. (Holding my breath that something actually happens.) Stay clear of this Company.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I've had an HSBC credit card for 2 years. Several times during this period, I did not receive a monthly statement of charges due. I will always pay my statement in full after I receive it. I was hit with interest charges and late fees. When I talked to someone and complained, they eliminated the late charge but kept the interest charges. After this occurred several times, it's obvious no at the bank knows how to correct this or is not concerned about this.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have about a dozen credit cards, all in good standing, I never had a bad banking experience until I got HSBC last year. Since then it has been nothing but bad experiences. I simply used my card, which was enough for them to repeatedly freeze it. They tell me to call in about the "suspicious" purchases. When I call in they asked me to answer some questions to verify my identity, I answer all the questions correctly; Then they tell me to provide them my "access code" so I dug through some year-old paperwork and gave it to them; Then they tell me to email them a copy of my drivers license and a current electric bill, I do that too.

Now they insist that I go to one of their branches to show my ID to a bank teller... Their nearest branch is 60 miles away (120 miles round trip). There is no end to the amount of your time they are willing to waste. There are lots of credit card companies, you don't want to apply for their card, it's not worth it. They are inept, disrespectful, and their horrible customer service is well documented on sites like this... They have a TERRIBLE reputation across all platforms. Avoid HSBC as if your credit rating depends on it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I tried multiple times today to pay my credit card bill while before the cut off time as to avoid any late charges. Finding that it was impossible to add my bank information, I use the chat feature three different times with three different people who are assured me that I could not pay my bill on the app. I would not have to go to a branch. At 4:35 I drove to the local branch in Concord California on Diamond Boulevard. Rushing in to make my payment using my debit card from another bank. Once inside at 4:57 I was told by the branch manager that I could not make my payment with my debit card from another bank. I explain my frustration with HSBC and then was told by one of the tellers that I absolutely could make my payment using my laptop. I just could not make a payment using my mobile phone. I informed the teller in branch manager that three different chat people told me I could not make a payment over the phone and had to go to a branch.

I returned home and tried again to add my information to their app. Although their instructions told me there were add buttons for adding other outside bank accounts, no such buttons exist! Once again I talk to a fourth chat person, who again stated you could not make a payment using their app but that she would take the information over the phone and charge me a late fee as it was after 5 o’clock now.

I forgot to mention that on my way home I called a second time to the bank. Apparently their credit card people go home before 4 o’clock California time. The second time I called, some guy in India took 10 minutes worth of information from me and assured me that the credit card people are still there, but when trying to transfer the car found out that they were not there and immediately hung up on me. Who has heard of a bank that will not let you make a payment on your credit card using their application? Who has heard of four different people giving you different information? Please be aware before you go to this bank you will be lied to...And be charged late fees regardless of your due diligence. By the way, their mobile app is one of the worst I’ve ever seen and I worked for three different banks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

Applied and then read the reviews (should have read first). Called to cancel application. They said it was declined because of no proof of income. Not for lack of income, but proof, even though they didn't ask, and there was no place for attachments to the online application, nor was there an email provided. HSBC stands for Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corp. Look it up. Hope they go back to Shanghai, uh, I mean London, instead of preying on Americans. We have Republicans to do that already.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

HSBC credit card is one of the worst experiences ever, opened account. Set up alerts to make payments online thru bank, never got alert, says it takes two billing cycles to set up, Online it did not show payment due, but Philippines called for payment!! Very piss poor customer service, Do Not open an account with this bank!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I had great credit before I started my credit card account with HSBC, but after the problems with their online banking and customer service it is now a disaster.

HSBC was offering a 0% balance transfer for one year. I received a text saying I had to complete the setup of the account. I told him That I had to complete the account set up and also was not receiving bank statements. I was told by the HSBC service person I had to call directly to another department. The number they gave me was to sell products in a different company.

I tried to get through other times with the same result. I still never received a statement. I then setup my account online to make automatic payments. The next month went by and still no statement. I called them again to get help with the auto payment since the auto pay was not working. They assisted me and setup the auto pay once again. It didn't work. I attempted to call them again several times but could not get through or due to the time difference was calling at the wrong time of day.

Eventually I got through and made a large payment to cover the previous months. They then said my account had been closed. I called and complained but said my account had been turned over to collections. I have had many credit cards and bank accounts and never have I had such a problem simply to pay them what I owe. If you call them, be prepared to talk to someone in a different country like, India, Vietnam etc.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Absolute Nightmare to make a single payment. Do not get this card!!! I'm doing a balance transfer after 1 month of holding this card. They should be reported to The Better Business Bureau. They make everything impossible. You need a pin they never give you to access online payments or phone payments. Eventually you get to talk to a person and they decline your payment method because American banks treat them as a security threat. Horrible Experience.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Would give a "zero" but no choice! I called to report a fraud, after one month they never took it off my bill. They have your number and they can't call??? Now they want the police report case #'s. Ok, given. Now after 3 months the customer service in India keeps bouncing me around even when I specifically tell them the department I need and that my case only needed police report case numbers. I spent 2 hours getting bounced by reps who say they are the "Fraud Dept". Even after you hit the correct number in the automated you don't go straight to the fraud Dept. 4 hours on the phone and when I expressed how I will cut up my card then they wanted to help. They want all your personal information but they say "We are not allowed to say where you are calling". REALLY?? I even had a reference number for my Fraud and they said "we don't see any fraudulent activity on your bill". Wow!!!!

Another issue is they want to repeat the same sentences over and over; Thank you for that question, that is a good question.... (read a script)... Just answer the freaking question or pass me to someone who can!!! NEVER do I go through hours and multiple people when it's a USA based calling center. Remember! People in the USA can lose their jobs if the customers satisfaction is low and people stop doing business with them but in outsourcing they get paid whether they help you or not. Most of the time they can't help; they only answer "simple" questions like balance, due dates, etc. They kept saying I'll send you to our "fraud team" after the rep said "Yes, I am the fraud team that will be helping you"! Yes you are helping me see that I don't want this bank or this Credit card!!!

If you value your time DON"T use them!!!! There is NO USA based call center!! I asked over 82 times!! Went to the bank but they can't help with credit card issues; only payments. Hate dealing with these incompetent call centers. Will go back to the greatest card company who is US Based and answers all their calls promptly without the run around bouncing back and forth!! Life is too short to hear repeats of the same scripts!!!

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information