Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
HSBC Credit Cards
3.21/5

HSBC credit card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

HSBC Credit Cards Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I have had an HSBC US credit card now for 4 or so months. It has been far too long. Nothing about this company is good. They post your payment to your account, it clears your bank account and then they proceed to still keep a hold for another 10 days. Their app is no good and their customer service dept leaves something to be desired. I will NEVER do business with this company again.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Just called HSBC c/s to report two months credit card interest overcharges due to failure to adjust for US prime rate reductions. All other Banks made timely incremental adjustments for the last two prime rate adjustments (7/31/19 and 9/18/19). I explained this not only affected me but undoubtedly millions of other HSBC credit cardholders. C/S response: "Could take up to two weeks to review 'my account' for a 'potential' rate adjustment?" I explained I wasn't asking for "personal" rate reduction but a correction based on the reduced prime rate. Response: same as before!!.. Are these people stupid or merely playing stupid to bilk millions of customers millions of $$ in excess interest rate charges? Or maybe just waiting for yet another class action filing before being forced to remit obvious interest overcharges.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

This will be long, but please read so you avoid the psychiatric hospital bills this ** b.s. bank has made me incur. My head is still spinning over the twilight zone that HSBC will put you into. I received a letter from HSBC with a pre-approval. Not pre-qualifed. Pre-approved. I'm between jobs and my daughter has very expensive medical bills, not all of which are covered by insurance. She has cancer, and that $5,000 could come in handy, so I completed the identifying info requested and VOILA! I was told I would receive an email when the card was on the way.

I received my card, along with TWO ADDITIONAL LETTERS: one had an electronic banking code, and the second had a 6 digit phone access code. Together with the card, this was three separate pieces of mail from HSBC (I'll tie all this together, just be patient). I activated the card using the website address on the sticker affixed to the front of the card, and went online to change the 6 digit access code. BAM! After I changed the code, I was notified there was a security hold on my card. A card I had NEVER USED. I called the number on the card, and was transferred 3 times, after being told I needed the "fraud apps" team. FIVE ** HOURS ON THE PHONE, and by the time I got a live person, and had to answer a barrage of security questions REPEATEDLY, I was told that department is closed FOR THE WEEKEND. What legit credit card doesn't have 24/7 access and support? NONE. That's how many. NONE.

I would have forgotten the card, but as mentioned, my daughter has medical expenses, and that $5,000 was going to help. So I called again on Monday. FOUR HOURS ON THE PHONE. They sent a letter requiring identifying documentation: EITHER a passport, driver's license or ID as photo identification, a form from the social security administration to verify my social security number, and a request for a utility bill or bank statement to verify my home address. I sent a copy of my passport card. NOPE.

After another 4 hours on the phone, was told it had to be the actual passport, not the card. Sent that. NOPE. I completed the PRE-APPROVED application using my driver's license number, so they needed that, not my passport. REALLY? Your letter said I could provide a passport OR driver's license. Now you need both? Okay. Submitted that. But it has my mailing address/office on it, whereas my bank statement has my home address. So now I need to submit documentation to verify BOTH addresses - my home and my mailing address. Hey, morons. You sent me the card at my mailing address. You sent me the access code I'm using to call you to that address. If it wasn't a real address, we would not be having these (now over 20 hours) of ** conversations.

OH, and about that bank statement. The bottom right corner was cut off, so it wasn't accepted, although the address and all identifying information was perfectly clear. Guess that "page 1" makes a hell of a difference in identifying me. IDIOTS. Okay, so I submit my mobile bill as proof of my office/mailing address. NOPE. Need a utility bill. Hey morons, I don't get the utility bills at my office. I get them at home. And I already provided you with proof of that address.

In between this, the social security form was rejected because I forgot to check a box. I told them, "Go ahead and check it for me." "Nope, you have to do it." Which I did, and paid $7 for the post office to scan and re-send. GREAT NEWS! The social security form was accepted. Except then when I called back today to find out the status I found it wasn't accepted. "I don't see that in the notes here". "OH, and did you submit your driver's license?" "Yes, last week". "I don't see that here". "Oh, no wait...here's a note. I guess your social security administration form was accepted, but we still need a utility bill FROM YOUR MAILING ADDRESS." "Sir, once again, there are no utility bills for my post office box." But you did mail me the card and TWO OTHER PIECES OF MAIL to that address.

Is common sense non-existent on this planet any longer? I have bought cars worth $85,000 and had lines of credit for thousands with less issues than this ** $5000 card. SO...a few years ago HSBC was hit with fines for money laundering. In response, they implemented such ridiculous security measures you'd think you were buying a house worth millions. And who in the world feels comfortable email every piece of identifying documentation?? AND, their "fraud" team is only in India. Nothing in the US. Nothing in the UK. WTF? And they are closed on weekends. As if that isn't ridiculous enough, you can't even understand anyone who answers the phone. They just read off of their little script and have zero idea what you are talking about. Robots. Orwellian. Oh, and that is actually WHEN they answer the phone.

It has now been 2 weeks and my "active" card is not active, and I spent today and yesterday at the US Passport Agency and the Department of Motor Vehicles putting fraud alerts on my documentation. So now I have TSA issues to worry about next time I travel just for trying to protect myself from these fraudsters. Again, it was only my daughter's mounting medical bills that are not covered by insurance they kept me going back.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid this bank and anything to do with them. It's a SCAM and you will never be able to use the card, and they will take all of your personal documentation and clone your identity and ruin your credit. Report this bank and shut them down. Some terrorist could be running around with your driver's license or passport number. And since when is a driver's license a form of ID? IT'S TO DRIVE A CAR. A passport will always supercede a driver's license. I hate these people, and I'm so angry that I was stupid enough to provide this information out of desperation to save my child. WORST BANK EVER. They are not even a bank. It is a SCAM to fund terrorists. STAY AWAY. REPORT THEM!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

First time banking with this company had a great offer to transfer funds to an amazing 18 month 0% rate. As most people nowadays I use online banking. This company is pathetic as far as customer service (if you can get someone to answer) then they transfer you to another department normally overseas). I have yet to be able to login to my account, spoke to HSBC IT people (overseas). I have heard the same story from them we are working on your issue. It's been a month!!! On hold right now 30 min (after telling the same story for a month).... There is a reason why they do not have many banks in the UNITED STATES!!! As soon as possible I will end my association with HSBC.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have had this card for a couple months now. Made a couple large purchases and paid them off in full even earlier than the due date. I tried to use the card two weeks later and was denied. When I called the general Customer Service they said my account was frozen and the only Customer Service department that could answer my questions or resolve my issues work 8am- 5pm EST Mon-Fri.

I have tried contacting this department 6 times over the past several weeks (different days and times in the day) and have been on hold each time over an hour and even one time I was on hold for 2 hours. I keep trying other departments to see if they can help, even tried email and chat... with the same results... NO COMMUNICATIONS and HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. This has absolutely been the worst customer experience I have ever had. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS CARD.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Before I received a card, I got a letter saying there was a security block. So I have a card that I can't use and they got my info. Tried to call the "fraud department" and put on hold. Nobody answers. Stay away.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Frankly I don’t have time to outline ALL of the details to my horrible experience with this company (as I have already wasted at least 3 hours of my time on the phone with them). However, I felt that it was important to warn others. The bottom line is that the cash back promised at the outset was not what was given. I tried to remedy the situation several times and they kept telling me they would “escalate” to another department and then call me back. This never happened. I finally paid what I felt I didn’t owe (due to incorrect cash back amount) just to be done with the whole situation. Also, at the end of the last conversation, I was told by a customer service representative that the offer I was expecting didn’t exist when I applied. Just for a little perspective on this, I don’t EVER apply for credit cards unless I know exactly what I’m going to get in return for the effort. He was just flat out wrong.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I was with this credit card company for 20 years plus, never, ever did I make a late payment and I also have a credit card with First Direct (and a bank account and a savings account with a considerable sum of money in it) who are part of the same group and again never once had a late payment on my card or gone overdrawn on my bank balance. I would be considered a five star customer. Two years ago I moved home and for some reason, I don’t know how, the company didn’t have knowledge of my change of address. I contacted everybody I dealt with but somehow I missed HSBC, probably because most times you phone they are too busy to take your call. Anyway inadvertently I didn’t inform them, last September I tried to use the card and it got declined. I was travelling at the time so I didn’t contact them until November to find out why I couldn’t use my card. They informed me that it was because I had defaulted on my account.

I told them that wasn’t aware of an outstanding amount as I hadn’t received any statements and then we discovered that the statements had been sent to my old address. They had in their possession my email address and my telephone number, wouldn’t have been difficult to contact me, knowing of my history with them and my previous excellent character. They charged me an extra £100 interest, they closed the account and put a default notice against my name. When I offered to pay them, the person on the phone said there’s no point in paying as they won’t come after me for the money. I told him that I wanted to settle the account so that it wouldn’t show up on my credit score as a default. This was in May when I settled the account and yet instead of showing satisfied on my credit score it still shows up as a default. This is an absolutely disgraceful way to treat a customer. Stay away from this company... You have been warned.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Their website is with a look, feel and functionality of the late 90s. I discovered my credit card was blocked just by accident. No notifications, nothing. Tried the chat....after 10 minutes, they transfer me to "security" team. 45 minutes on hold on the phone trying to reach this "security" team. After verifications, and 5 more minutes on hold it turned out this team cannot help me. An investigator would have to "investigate suspicious activity" and will call me at some point. So far 1.5 hours of my life wasted. Purchases from Menards, Floor & Decor and Home Depot were classified by the "security team" as "suspicious activity". Nice! I don't know what these people have for breakfast but...anything from the above listed I find unacceptable. Run Run away from that card.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I got approve for one of their cards that took over 3 months to arrive at my house. The original card was sent to the incorrect address so I had it resend to me. After receiving the card I called them because I wanted to take advantage of the 18 months no interest. Well to my surprise I only had 15 months left because they counted the 3 months that I didn’t receive the card...That’s pretty crazy if you ask me. I escalate the situation & they still said that the bank made no mistake. Even though the card was sent by them to the incorrect address & the USA post office returned the card to them. Awful customer service & false advertising. I closed the account & will go with a known & reputable bank like Citibank.

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information