1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

266 HSBC credit card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I got pre approved letter in my mail and I applied online for this credit card. After apply it didn’t tell me decision right away. It says, "Your application is being reviewed." Then after 3 days they wanted my driver license, paycheck stubs and address proof. I trusted and I emailed my documents to them. After few days I was told they couldn’t verify my identity. Are you kidding??? I emailed everything they asked me to do so. This company is a big scam. I called credit bureau and told them about it. So I won’t get identity problems in the future. I wish I wouldn’t have provided all the info to them. Oh well, we learn from our mistake. Never ever going to trust in this company again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I applied for this card online and, in the course of my application, I had to step away and the application "timed out". I started again, from scratch because there was no option to get back into the existing application. I completed the application and was quickly approved. For the next week, I have received numerous, almost threatening emails to complete my application. I tried Live Chat to have someone cancel that application and was told that had to be done by phone. Yeah... it'll expire eventually.

Today I received the card. I tried to activate it online and already started running into glitches in the site. I came here and I am relieved I haven't used it or transferred any other balances to it. I will lock it up and never use it based on the average complaints and 1 star reviews here. I will however, monitor the account to make sure nothing suspicious happens. If it does, I will promptly close the account. This entire group of reviews is downright frightening! How is this allowed to continue without any consequences to this organization? Appalling!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

This is obviously a scam. Used card once. Immediate hold put on the card. 5 days and almost 5 HOURS on hold and no live person. This is a disgrace and should be stopped. DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE CARDS. What a mess.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

They sent me an invitation for a "pre-qualified" credit card in the mail. How I wish I had torn that up! Now it's 2 months later, I've literally spent hours in phone calls and emails and document-sending to them. So many repeated and varied screw-ups on their part! Big big big waste of time to deal with these totally incompetent people. Do yourself a big favor and don't bother doing any kind of business with them!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

It is not a bad thing to be paranoid about conducting finance online. I appreciate when a company makes it hard to access personal information that certainly would be considered sensitive. In some small way that shows me that they care about the gravity of my personal data and that they are willing to take measures to protect that data and that is a very good thing.

I have an HSBC credit card and I use the website as a way to view my balance and payment information. When I first got the card I was able to login to the HSBC Bank page with my username and password. About two months ago they added another layer of security by forcing me to log in using my username, my birthday, and then my password. My birthday is not high-security information; in fact, many personal data websites will list your name, the city you live in and your date of birth. Adding my birthday was not the best way to harden and validate the authentication process. A month ago, citing concerns over security, HSBC adopted ReCaptcha on the login page. The sequence to access the page is to enter the username, birthday and password and the possibility of having to solve a ReCaptcha screen (pictures of traffic lights, storefronts, etc.).

This morning, despite multiple attempts at trying to solve the ReCaptcha image of headlights which I believe was correct, I was told to keep solving until I could be verified. Eventually, a screen came up which said; "Your credentials have been temporarily revoked. Please call 1-800-555-1234." This phone call put me on a long wait line to talk to a customer service representative.

My first complaint. My birthday is not private data, would not a pin code created by the user work better? My second complaint. ReCaptcha obviously is not a good way to deter unwanted traffic if, in turn, it inconveniences customers who have a legitimate need to access the website. Resolve: There are a host of two-factor authentication tools out there that far surpass birth dates and being able to identify street lights from grainy photos. A few banks that I do business with will send me a code in the form of a text message which is good for a limited time on top of the username/password combination. I would never complain about security but the current security used by HSBC is adequate at best and the recent additional layers add nothing but inconvenience and annoyance for legitimate users of the website.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Set up payment as usual this month. Went to use card and it decline. Was told 3 days for payment to clear. Payment clear my bank on 12/17/18 yet being told I have to wait 'til 12/26/18 for the card to be unlocked. We have a superior credit rating and have never been treated like this by any other bank or credit card. Canceling this card. Not worth the aggravation.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

7 calls in 3 plus hours of holding, I have gotten nowhere. Just got my HSBC credit card last week, activated it and went to use it only to be declined. I call HSBC customer service and was told that my card was blocked due to security or fraud. I've never even used the card before. They transferred me to the security fraud dept and I've been on hold ever since. After 7 calls and 3 plus hours of holding I am ready to just close the account, but guess what? I can't even do that until I talk to the security fraud dept. By far the biggest joke of a company, up there with Sprint and Comcast. Would not recommend! Wish I had read these reviews before I applied for this ** card. So pissed I could punch a ** hole in the wall. HSBC is a joke and does not value you or your time.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

This bank is a total scam. Cannot be a real bank. I applied because of the zero percent interest rate for 18 months. I got a credit limit of $5000. I used a convenience check to make a deposit into my checking account for $4800. Was charged a $192 balance transfer fee. I logged in a couple weeks later and paid that $192 fee plus another $200. Three days later they closed my account for non-payment and fraud. They didn't honor the convenience check. It was reversed on my checking account after a month and I was charged over $500 in bounced check charges and insufficient funds. HSBC will not get back to me. I have tried calling them over a dozen times but sit on hold for five or six hours and then they hang up.

I got through on Saturday after waiting on hold for 7 hours and 14 minutes only to be told that department is closed and to call back Monday. I have now been on hold 4 hours and 47 minutes. If they don't get to you before 5 pm, they leave for the day and you will never get through. So you have to call at 8 am and then will sit on hold for 9 hours without getting through if they don't hang up on you first. They are keeping my $392 in payments I made plus I was charged over $500 by the bank where I have my checking account. This should be illegal.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

After receiving a new card, I have spent in excess of 4 hours over the last week on hold trying to get the card working and access to the online account I opened. There has even been up to a half hour wait for initial contact who tell me they have no access to the account information and send me to another department which never answers the phone. One time, I was on hold for an hour and forty minutes and then disconnected. I just got the card for its no foreign transaction fees but it is certainly not worth it. No one I talked to could even cancel the account. I tried live chat too with no success, I have had charge cards for 40 years and never experienced anything like this. My suggestion is that you pass on this company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I live in Japan and wanted some information from HSBC. I have phoned them in the past but found this to be expensive and only after a 30 minute plus phone call did I find out that they couldn't assist me with my credit card inquiry anyway. I therefore decided to use the secure email communication, but did not receive a reply within the 48 hours they claim is needed. I sent a second email and still nothing. I then had long and protracted Live Chats with employees who seemed determined not to answer any questions I asked them, but kept asking me to call the phone line. Each Live Chat operator gave me different information (none of which directly answered my questions). The only consistent part of my experience was its sheer awfulness and each employee's persistence to not answer any actual questions that I asked and pass the buck. Take your banking elsewhere would be my advice.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Moving to the US in 2014 with Google, HSBC was among the few banking options we had available that did not require prior credit score history. HSBC turned out to be a nightmare bank and the second we could switch banks we did so. Here's just a sample of the problems: Approximately 2-3 times per month the HSBC MasterCard was blocked for suspected fraud. This required calling their service center which has an average wait time of 45-60 minutes. In our two years of HSBC service, the credit card incurred fraudulent charges over 5 times. Each time it took months to recover the charges. Calling the HSBC customer support team is horrible and stress inducing. You first need to wait 20-30 minutes MINIMUM while they play 1980's Muzak music. They are generally incompetent, transfer you between departments because they are extremely siloed.

Their online bank is shockingly bad with a terrible user experience. Their mobile app is even worse. It's basically a webview powered app with stuttery performance, weak feature support and a terrible authentication flow. They have only two branches in SF with limited hours. Overall, HSBC has been such a cause of stress and frustration. We changed to First Republic and it really is night and day, but I'm sure changing to ANY OTHER bank would be a massive upgrade. Stay away from HSBC.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I opened an account in November 2018. I received my card and activated it. I then set up an online account that I couldn't figure out how to use because my account never showed up. I attempted to use my card a couple of weeks after I activated it and got declined. I call customer service and they told me that Security Department needed information. I told them that I never received notification and they told me that they were waiting for me to call in. I was then transferred to the Security Department but could not get through because they close at 5 pm. I was told that I had to speak with them and that Customer Service could not help me and that I had to call back on Monday. I called back on Monday and was on hold for over three hours and nothing.

I called customer service back and they told me that they would call me back when they had someone from the department. After 5 pm, they called me and said that they couldn't get in contact with the department and they were now closed. I called customer service back and asked to close my account and was told that they again couldn't do that and the Security Department had to handle it. Here I am on Tuesday and I was disconnected by them after waiting for an hour and a half and now I'm on the phone again and have been waiting for over an hour and I just want to cancel my card. Honestly, this had been the worst experience of my life. Please for your sake, DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this horrible company. Capital One, Citi Bank, Amex... The options are endless, just please go with someone else.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I applied and received the HSBC gold MasterCard and activated about 10 days ago. I've called every single day twice a day waiting over an hour. Each time they keep trying to push me to another department and says call fraud or security. I don't understand it. I don't know what to do HSBC. I'm going to be putting this all over Facebook and Twitter. Also you have no idea how terrible your customer service is. I have tried such numerous times without a single correction or somebody to help me. My new HSBC gold MasterCard credit card still does not work and I cannot get through to anybody. Please call me and correct this asap. Get a hold of me and get this fixed right away.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I received my first statement two months late and there was a missed payment fee on it. I tried to reach customer support, and after calling the phone number on the statement I was put on a silent hold for a long time, and was disconnected, and I called again to be put on another lengthy silent hold. I got to speak to someone who gave me another number to call. I called that number to be told I need to call during business hours, but the following day I called during business hours and I got the same message. I have never experienced such a bad service.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Every time a credit card payment is attempted to be made the automated system states at end of process that the transaction cannot be completed and HSBC always states they're aware of issue and it will be corrected, REALLY, for a year!!! Then to make a payment to this company you can be on hold up to an hour or longer. This company needs to be investigated and it would be interesting to find out how many customers are charged late fees for no other reason but because the automated service failed to process payment, then the hold times are outrageously unacceptable. Avoid this company, they have been nothing but a nuisance to deal with since day one, they should be paying customers back for all of the annoyance and time consumption.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Updated on 01/04/2019: I was supposed to receive a statement this month including the Rs 27000 transaction to be converted into EMIs, but still my statement does not show this and I am to again for this month pay the 3% interest for the outstanding balance. Am I seem to be stupid? Why am I again being fooled by HSBC??? AGAIN THE COMMITMENTS MADE BY HSBC IS NOT BEING FULFILLED. What customer service your bank is offering? How can a customer be satisfied? I want this month billed to be reversed with the transaction getting converted into EMIs and get my revised statement. 3rd Jan my bill got generated and I was surprised to see my transaction again not converted into EMI, which was assured to be done within 4 working days from date 7th Dec which is the last time I had a talk with HSBC dept. Please take this matter into your priority list and resolve it asap.

Original review: I hold a credit card from HSBC and this is a new credit card added. I already use credit cards from other banks like SBI, HDFC, Induslnd etc. While offering the HSBC credit card I was said, "You will get an option of easy EMIs on ur card." I made a transaction of around 30k on my HSBC credit card and then I am not able to convert into EMI. When contacted the customer service they say I do not have that option in my card... Easy emi conversion is any basic bank offering any customer even with basic limits... else why would anyone go for credit cards???

Then I posted a complaint with customer forum and I received a call from HSBC that the transactions would be converted into EMIs and they apologize to me... Now I have been continuously making reminders on this issue. And this is almost a month and my next bill date is 3rd December and my transactions are not yet converted into EMI's. I want these converted into EMI's as soon as possible as promised to me by HSBC. And if not converted into EMI's then I am not going to pay any Bill's for the credit card. And I won't be responsible for this or any interests or any charges then applied towards the card.

This is almost a month I have been waiting for your replies and making reminders for the transactions to get converted into EMI's. Are you guys testing your customer's patience? Super poor customer service from HSBC. I want an immediate action to be taken on this issue else I am bound to register case against your bank.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I responded to an invitation that I received to apply for an HSBC credit card. The solicitation touted the "world class" customer service. I am not sure what "world" they are referring to. I wish I had reviewed the comments by other people before I applied. But, I did apply and was approved for a substantial credit line. After approval, I did receive the credit card. I was notified that I would receive a PIN in a few more days. Since I was traveling out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday, I wondered if I needed to have the PIN to use the card.

To get more information, I called the referenced telephone number and finally got connected with a customer service representative after a 40-minute wait. The customer service representative sounded very young and there was a language problem. This young woman sounded as though she was Asian, maybe Chinese. This seems correct since HSBC is a Chinese bank. I asked this young woman if I could use the credit card if I did not have the PIN. She did not know the answer. It is a simple question, I should have received a simple answer.

She came back on the telephone and told me that it would take longer to get the answer. She said that she had to call HSBC security to get an answer. This act by her would result in my never used credit card being "frozen". Finally, the connection was dropped. I then tried to reach customer service by "live chat" online. I waited for a while and was finally connected with an online customer service representative named "Kenneth". He said he could solve my question but needed more information and he needed to send me a code via text to my phone and to do that, he needed my phone number.

Keep in mind, I had given my phone number on the application and received at least three texts and emails affirming that my credit card had been mailed. So, Kenneth came back to me and said that my phone number was not valid and he asked for a different number. I said to him that this was my cell phone, and like many people, I did not have a second number. He suggested to me that I call HSBC security for clarification and he said that my never used card was now "frozen" which I did not know until this moment.

I tried to call HSBC credit card security but I was prompted that I needed a PIN which I did not have and this was why I called in the first place. Since I was out of town and not available to see if I had received a PIN, I would have to let this go until I was back to my house. I had also asked Kenneth if I could go to a branch to resolve this and he said no, it had to be done via phone. Due to this terrible service, I am returning the credit card that I was issued. I have not used it and it can be returned. I suggest to anyone who is considering a credit card through HSBC that they apply for a card from another bank.

I have never had this problem in all my years dealing with American banks or credit card issuers. The initial customer service rep did not know how to answer my question and she caused this problem by calling HSBC security and likely said that there was a caller who did not know the correct information so the credit card should be frozen. Later, Kenneth said that my phone number was not valid. I find that incredulous since even Social Security allows me to contact them via my phone as do my bank and other credit card companies. I do not need this card and I wish I had never applied. As many others have said, the customer service at HSBC is terrible. Go to another bank, do yourselves a favor. They do not need you and you do not need them.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I've had the card less than a year. I have excellent credit and pay my balance in full every month. Yet in the past 11 months I've been declined twice for routine, trivial purchases and no one can tell me why. When I called to ask why I'd been declined it took THREE DAYS before I was able to get through to an agent, spending hours each day on hold. Also somebody hacked my account and tried to pay a $5,000 court fine in Doha, Qatar with it. Their fraud alert did pick that up, but how the heck did it happen???? I prefer paper statements for ease of reconciliation, but by choosing that preference I'm not allowed to look at previous statements online which I need to do from time to time. I don't think this company has their act together. I'll be getting a new general-purpose card and scrapping this account.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I applied for this card online and my approval was immediate. I received emails when the card would be shipped and also the pin. Everything arrived on time. Account set up was a little tricky since they have to send a code to your phone, but with a little patience I got everything working just fine. I used the card the same day that I activated it. So far so good. I have used it at multiple stores and locations with no issues. I was able to set up payment with no problem. However, I set up payments and such as soon as I open a new account. This way I get the alerts by text before payment is due and simply click and pay. I don't wait till the bill is due to start learning to navigate a site.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I got this HSBC Mastercard in May after they sent me a preapproved letter. It took hours to finally get the rewards. Then on Sep 9 when I paid my bill they took double from my bank account. After being put on hold, being dropped and transferred I finally got an agent who blamed the website upgrades. I still have a print of the logon but there is no input box for the year of birth and yet you get an error.

Finally I found the Firefox browser worked. Since Sep, over 2 months, they still have not returned the extra payment instead charged me fees for late payment when I was not late, but paid double. I downloaded my transactions into Excel and the total does not match the summary page. They will not give you a direct phone number so every call and dropped call is a long hold. HSBC agents will threaten you about ruining your credit, if you don't pay the extra they are demanding. I have only had it for 3 months when the trouble started. I have paid my entire balance on time every month so the current demands are ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I applied for HSBC's Cash Rewards Card, I received the card 3 weeks ago but I cannot use the card since they said I need a pin even though I did not ask for one. The put a security block on my card AFTER they said that they sent me a pin. I have been calling every day for weeks and still cannot get any help, I am hold for hours, I went into a branch and they said that they cannot help, that even the branch is placed on hold. I called 8am this morning, and as of 9:22am I am still on hold waiting for a representative. This promotion has benefit IF you use the card within 3 months, are they misleading people by holding off usage PAST the 3 month period? Seems like it to me. One star is too much to rate, negative stars would be better.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I have attempted from the time I signed up for the HBSC card to get someone to help me get signed on to my online account. I do have an ID and password, but the only response I get after logging on is: System Error, System unavailable. Attempting to use the online Chat is a waste of time. No one ever is able to help, after waiting excessive amounts of time. What's up with this company? If I had it to do over I would NOT use HSBC. How does one get online to see account activity and make a payment? Can someone help with this?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I was going through a tough time and wasn't able to pay my bill. HSBC refused to remove any late fee and also refused to apply my rewards credit toward my bill until it was paid up. Any other credit card company would have helped out under these circumstances. Terrible company. They will rob you blind with interest every month! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HSBC!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

These crooks are doing all kind of illegal things. In 2007 they were offering a trip to Hawaii and for $300 for two people. I paid for myself and my BF at that time. They had also "the participating hotels" were charging different fees which I paid also to be at the hotel. I chose the 3 departure dates they asked me to, but every time a departure date was approaching they would cancel it. They took my money and never refunded to me. When I called 1800 number at the Salinas, CA, the HSBC location where I spoke to the person in charge of the trip, they would not answer the phone anymore. Be careful with these scammers. It is better to close the account as I did, they are real scammers. Last time I heard from these scammers, they were going to open in Brazil. I still have all the papers and letters from them to prove.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I have been unable to login to my online account center from the moment I registered so I called for help yesterday. The rep was unable to figure it out so she submitted a ticket to IT with a promised callback in 1-2 hours. The call never came. So I called back today to get an update. No record of any such ticket having been opened.

After over an hour on the phone (mostly on hold) I am told that they'll need to open a ticket (again!) and they'll escalate it but the timeframe is 7-10 business days. TWO WEEKS to reset an online account login! At this point I ask for a supervisor and that's where it all goes downhill. I asked the supervisor what we can do to expedite the ticket? Nothing. Can she call IT to expedite it? "NO, we just have to allow 7-10 business days for a response." Can someone call me to give me updates? "No. You just have to wait 7-10 business days." Can you just delete my online account registration altogether? "No, we have to do an investigation to determine if we feel that is the right option." Mind you this is after the 1st representative has told me that they see that I AM logged in. So not only can I not see my account, but according to them someone using my log-in info is in the system already.

Then the supervisor has the audacity to ask if I'm signed up for email statements. I don't know, I've never been able to do any online account maintenance but I don't know what the random login they're seeing in their system has done. Her suggestion is laughable, "Well i can read you your transaction history over the phone today so you don't get any late fees." When did I say I was concerned about late fees? I'm concerned that I cannot review my account even though your system says I can.

I have worked in customer service for another credit card company and all of the requests/suggestions I made were absolutely doable had the supervisor actually wanted to help. I will be paying off and closing this account ASAP. I just want to warn others that if HSBC has such awful customer service over a relatively minor issue such as online account access just imagine how they'll treat you over a bigger issue.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

If you get an enticing offer from this card, run the other way and consider literally any other bank. They made good on their promise of $150 cash back after spending $500 and the redemption was simple, everything else was horrible. I will make a list instead of a story. 1. Online payment center difficult to use because the payment portal is separate from the transaction portal. It’s also hidden under “manage account”, not “payment center”. 2. The customer service is atrocious. When you can get through which isn’t always and can get past the 39 minute wait time, you get an inept person in a call center that at best repeats everything you say and then in the end cannot help you.

3. They will not connect you to the US even if you ask. 4. The US customer service is JUST AS RUDE. 4a. The rude woman who raised her voice at me in the US when I was trying to explain the FRAUD ON MY ACCOUNT was also not able to help me. 5. I had fraud on my card on June 8. They sent me an affidavit which I returned and then DENIED MY CLAIM FOR NO APPARENT REASON. 6. After I sent records that I was IN the HOSPITAL at the time of the fraud, they insisted that I file a police report. 6a. I wasn’t notified that my claim was denied yet again for no reason. And again I had trouble getting through to anyone who would properly explain what’s happening with my account.

7. Thanks to this website, I found out about the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and submitted a complaint. I finally got my money back in October 11 — again without any notification that my case was resolved. 8. CFPB is a LEGIT ORGANIZATION and is very helpful with a variety of credit card issues. 9. It took 4 months and many many many calls and lots of time and frustration and anger to get clearly blatant fraud resolved. I HATE this bank and highly recommend to steer clear of them. Will NEVER do business again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Please do not take HSBC credit card. Waste time!!! Horrible card I ever have in my life!!! I just got this card, the card is locked. I call there, no one knows why my card is locked. Waiting time is 2 hour. I decided closed my account.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The reward on the card is okay (1.5% cash back) but it is not worth it to deal with the customer service. My credit card was held because HSBC detected a fraud on a purchase of $2000 USD. I have called for the 1st time and waited for 2 hours, and then had to hang up. I went to the branch and the staff could not help and all they could do was to call the same number and waited. This was crazy. What kind of service was this?! And they kept saying, "We value your call. Your call is very important to us..." total bull. After this I immediately redeemed all the cashback I have and never looked back. I have another AMEX card which is a lot better.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I waited on hold for the fraud prevention department for 45 minutes and then had to hang up. Called back and waited 1 1/2 hours but could not wait any longer. Called back again and waited 2 hours until someone answered. They were supposed to mail me a 4 digit code so I could activate my card but I never got it. Customer service could not help me although I called several times. I finally decided to go with Discover. Discover was awesome!!! Needless to say, I never activated my HSBC credit card. It's depressing that my 800 credit score was slightly decreased from the inquiry. Hopefully, others have a better experience but I was in tears by the time I finally decided to take my losses and go to another company. I could only imagine a 2 hour wait every time I had to call on a fraud alert. There are much better options available.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I am new to HSBC. I opened a credit card with them. I received my first statement via mail. Statement showed a minimum due of $25, on August 28th. I put the statement down and forgot about it. Yesterday I went through my paperwork and found the statement realizing it's due tomorrow. I went on the HSBC app and couldn't find out how to make my credit card payment from the app, so I went onto the website. I went to make the payment and the website showed $0 due on August 28th. I checked to see if maybe I made the payment and forgot. Nope, I never made a payment. So why is my statement saying one thing and online says something else?

I did the live chat with a representative, had a 6 min. wait... not bad. I asked if I have a minimum due of $25 or not. The representative said yes. I then asked why online says something different. The representative gave me no explanation, avoided my question and simply stated to go off my paper statement which is accurate. I then said "so online account information is not accurate?" It sounds like a way to scam people to get them to default in their terms so they can charge the outrageous late fee and jump the APR way up. I DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY! I have NEVER experienced this with any credit card EVER! I've established my credit at the age of 18, I am now 39, my gut instinct is telling me to close this card immediately. This company is definitely running a shady business.

HSBC credit card Company Information