1.16/5
Based on 99 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

235 HSBC credit card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

This card offered no interest on purchases and balance transfers. I transferred a couple balances and then took the card to the grocery store where it was declined. I called multiple times and finally received an answer when they transferred me to someone in the US. Their system had put a hold on my card because of the transfers. There was nothing on their jejune website stating there was a hold. There was also nothing stating that they needed a copy of my drivers license to release the hold.

At first, I was excited about the multi factor authentication, however, they didn't use it before putting the hold on my card. They also sent me a PIN number in the mail that was rejected as authentication in their IVR system. (Their customer service number requires the card number or your Social Security number and either the PIN or a telephone access number. Not once did it work with the card number and the PIN.)

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I researched the right card for me and this was it! Unfortunately, the customer service over phone and online chat were horrible. After activating card online, I couldn't use it for a charge. Calling HSBC for help, that was a lost cause. The announcements while on wait claim "world class customer service". Sadly, I couldn't get any service. On one day trying to get through, I was on hold for over 15 mins but couldnt wait any longer as I had a meeting. Attempting another time, I was on hold for 2 hr 21 mins on one cell phone and 23 mins on another cell phone. After being on hold for 2 hrs and 31 mins, they answered and hung up on me.

The main service number is limited in what they can assist with so I had to be transferred to a security area. I decided that even though the benefits of the card were right for me, the service was not. So without even having my card activated, I closed my account. They said someone would call me to discuss. Why would I believe that would happen? Of course it didn't. Pathetic world class service by HSBC!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Folks, this is a failing bank. I got a mailer on a credit card with no interest for 18 months and filled it out without thinking. I was busy. Having been in the mortgage business prior to 2009, I knew HSBC was a pile of crap but just wasn't thinking. Card arrived, the pin never showed up. I fought and fought with endless 'push 2' then 'push 4' garbage and then on occasion a person who couldn't speak English. Finally I just said "Card is lost! Send me a new one" thinking it would then have a pin number. New card finally came...NO pin number within 5 to seven working days. I called and called. I had to go out of town to a very small township miles from any metro area. ONE gas station---ONE little motel. NEITHER WOULD TAKE THE CARD. There was ONE ATM but it required a pin.

I called and called and went through HOURS of being told they could generate an emergency pin. I had NO GAS! I had no cash for the motel. Then as the store with the ATM closed, HSBC told me they were having system issues and couldn't do it. They said to call again the next day. I spent the night in my car. Next morning---same thing hours on hold, only to be told they can't generate an emergency pin and didn't know why I was told that. I had to have someone come from my hometown with cash so I could get home.

At home the next day I started on them again and they said a pin should have been sent but they would send another in up to 7 working days. Two hours later to be sure, I called and went through an hour of crap to get another non English speaker who said the records DID NOT show that a new pin was being sent!!! This person said she would make sure it happened. In the meantime I have a useless card. HSBC closed their only Oregon branch. They are failing. DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I called to HSBC to close my credit card account. The person that attended me was very rude, she asked for my name and told it twice, and she said "SIR I need your name to help you" in very bad tone and sighing. I haven't seen anything like this in other place before. I don't recommend this company at all, credit card is not good and customer service even worse.

Original review: July 5, 2018

This by far, is the worst credit card company that I have ever dealt with. The customer service reps give you the runaround, and I feel that they just don't care about their customers. They reduced my available credit by a significant amount with no explanation. When I contacted them to see why this had happened, they were guessing that it had to do with needing more verification. I emailed the information that they had requested, they never bothered to contact me back to let me know that everything was back to normal with the limit on my credit card. Don't waste your time applying for a credit card, unless you're willing to go through the unnecessary foolishness.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: June 28, 2018

I only applied for a simple credit card. No one called me at all from the company or emailed me. Every time I called no one knew about my application or anything. I went from phone to phone and person to person and no one could help me. I told them that a man by the name of Jeffrey in the security department just had to ask me a question before sending it to the processing unit. He told me I will receive an email. I never did. I tried calling back to check on the status of the card, but got the runaround. I called this bank like 6 times. Not one person from this bank reached out to me. This has been the worst bank experience I have ever had in my life. A complete disgrace of a company!!!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I cannot believe the incredibly poor and extremely frustrating customer service I have received from HSBC over the past 10 days. I have documented my experience below and need to share this wherever possible so no one else makes the mistake of banking with this horrendous institution. My problem has yet to be resolved:

Thursday, June 14: Logged into my account and realized an attempted payment of $790 I made on June 2nd had been reversed. There was never any notification of the reversal or that a payment was still due. Immediately I made a payment for $848 but then tried calling the number on the back of my card to understand why the June 2nd payment was reversed and to ensure the $848 payment will go through. Customer support rep told me my account was locked and I needed to call 800-528-0694 during 8-5 ET M-F business hours, and it was already too late in the day.

Friday, June 15: Called the suggested number immediately in the morning. Was on hold for extremely long waits (about 30 minutes each time – I tried calling twice). The second time I called, when I was put on hold, after about 30 minutes the call was just “disconnected” – I had to get back to my work and could not spend any more time attempting to reach customer service before 5pm Eastern Time.

Sunday, June 17: I attempted to use the Live Chat option to resolve my issue, but the agent told me my account was locked and I would need to call on Monday. She gave me a new number: 877-826-8611. Monday, June 18: Called 877-826-8611 per the direction of the agent on my live chat. After a long hold, they told me I needed to contact customer service and transferred me. I hung up (because customer service had already told me last week they could not help) and tried calling the previous number I was given: 800-528-0694. Again was told I would need to speak to someone else because my account was locked. I live chatted again, and again I was told I would need to contact A NEW number – 866.320.4113 for the fraud dept! Called this number and was on hold for 1 hour and 21 minutes!!

Woman in the fraud department said she could not do anything to help me with a payment, and that I would have to call customer service, but she would look into my account and call me back within 20 minutes to see why it was locked out. She has yet to call me back. I called USAA (the bank where I was funding the credit card payment from), and they have no record of HSBC attempting to take a payment – nothing on June 2 or June 14. Meanwhile I have tried to access my HSBC credit card account online to verify the USAA routing information was correct – but my account is locked so I cannot do this. I asked Live Chat how I can view this, and they told me to call the number on the back of my card! I tried calling this number again and was on hold for 12 minutes, but had to hang up for a work meeting. Live Chat told me at 9:50 am that someone would reach out to me from Security. I have yet to be contacted.

Called 877-826-8611 again at 12:40 pm to find out what is the latest. They told me they are the CHECK fraud department and cannot help me. Called 866.320.4113 again at 12:43. Man who answered said my account was locked (YES I KNOW), and he transferred me to someone else at 12:48 pm. Was on hold until 2:15 (for an HOUR and 30 minutes) before I finally had to hang up. I live chatted with Doug during the above and he told me they would reverse any late payment if one is incurred, he would also add 1000 points to my account and request more from his manager. He said there are notations on my account for all the times I have called. He confirmed that my cc bill was attempted to be paid by my USAA acct ending in ** - that is the correct account. No one ever called me back from HSBC.

Tuesday, June 19: Called number on back of card again at 9:30am and spoke to customer service rep. Explained I wanted to make a payment to the card. She said card was on hold and needed to connect with security team (same thing we have been told time and time again). She said, rather than sitting on hold, she would connect with the security team and have them call me back in 20-30 minutes. This was at roughly 9:45am PT. It appears HSBC called me back at 11:36am but I was in a meeting for work and could not answer. They did not leave a message nor did they send me any further communication via email or via the message center in my account. Nor did they try back at another time.

I called back at 2:20 PT and tried to explain to a representative what happened. He immediately transferred me to the security team. Security picked up after about a 5 minute hold and said "let me transfer you to the team that was looking into your case" and I was sent to a recording that said "we're sorry, we are unable to answer your call. Please try again later." ABSOLUTELY INFURIATING! An incoming call from HSBC at 3:00 pm PT. I answered and said "hello" 3 times. No one responded. Then the call disconnected. No one called back. Wednesday, June 20: Someone from HSBC reached out to me via email to tell me they were investigating my Better Business Bureau complaint and would be in touch with me as soon as possible. I followed up with this person twice now and no one has responded to me.

Thursday, June 21: Someone from customer service emailed me to tell me that they forwarded my inquiry to customer service in the US because the email I had emailed was UK. No one has reached out to me yet. Monday, June 25: Joined Live Chat again for assistance as I have not heard from HSBC since middle of previous week. Live Chat told me I needed to call Security Team and provided me with YET ANOTHER new phone number: 888-206-5963. Called this number at 7:15am - someone answered after 8 minutes of holding, then said "please give me some time - I'll transfer your call to the right department" - then put on hold again... 30 minutes passed and someone else answered. He told me he needed to transfer me to the right department!!! This is UNBELIEVABLE. Puts me on HOLD AGAIN! Still on hold...this problem has not been resolved.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Opened a credit card a few months back and this is the worst one yet by far. First, online banking is user-unfriendly and too many unnecessary steps to take to get where you need to go. That alone is a deal breaker. Had to contact customer service for several reasons and that took forever to get questions answered. I want to close this account, period.

Original review: June 15, 2018

If I can give 0 stars I would. Horrible customer experience. I called multiple time regarding a product change on my credit card and even after a month they would say it takes 7-10 business day at the most but we are still processing your request. Doesn’t makes sense to me.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Have had this card for about 5 years. I have to verify my transactions with the security center about once a month and basically every time I travel. Getting hold of an Indian call center representative who has little ability to do anything but read from a script is a routine hour long herculean effort. I’ve regularly had unbelievably rude customer service from HSBC’s call center where they literally say they cannot do anything for you and if you have any complaints to take them up with your branch. The algorithms used to track potential fraudulent charges is totally bogus at HSBC and must give 99% false positives. The nightmare service has been repeatedly blogged about and discussed on multiple forums but there is simply no attempt by the “World’s Local Bank” to address customer dissatisfaction with the horrendous service levels and bogus false positives in their security systems. Do yourself a favour and pick a different bank for your credit card needs.

Original review: June 10, 2018

In my short period of time in the business world, I have never dealt with a company as inept as HSBC but more specifically, their Credit Card Operations. The bank has the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced and worst customer support of any credit card that we’ve ever used, and we have quite a few. It makes me appreciate the American Express Cards and Discover Card because those companies treat us like valued customers and provide “World Class” customer service.

I’m not going to go into detail of what we've been through with HSBC because there is too much to detail. At this point we just want to wash our hands of this horrible company but can't even close our account because HSBC fails to comply with our wishes. I want the balance of our Cash Back Credit Card sent to us immediately because that is money we earned by using this lousy card. I wouldn't refer anyone to do business with HSBC because I have absolutely nothing good to say about this Bank/Credit Card servicer.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I got an offer from this card and called in to get more info but they told me I can only apply online. I told them unfortunately they did not list some of the info online, like the balance transfer fee. First of all, calls are routed to a foreign country, so you have poor connection. Also, the agent does not listening to what you have to say, instead she repeats the same things like a parrot. When you ask to speak with a supervisor, she again keeps going on and on about what she has to say, never listens. Horrible customer service and I hate it when the calls are answered by people who can't speak proper English and are at a different country!

Original review: May 22, 2018

They put a hold on my account for no reason, every time I call they transfer me 4 or 5 times, no one knows what they are doing, they are rude. I am going to cancel this card completely... What do I need them for... Nothing at all.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I called to report my card lost on March 6, I confirmed with the agent about a transaction I made and my balance, I was told my next payment was on April 10, about two weeks later I received a phone call from HSBC collection department saying I was late with the payment for March 10 and there was a late fee posted to my account. When I called back to inquire about the issue the agent said there was no statement sent about the payment due on March, but there will be a new statement for payment due on April 10. I continue to received phone calls until April 5 to collect the payment due on April 10. Management is poor, they provide wrong information to their customers, very disappointed with their service.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

HSBC sent me a credit card without my application. I never applied for it! When I called them, I got the runaround from the customer service operator Afzal. He would not tell me who applied for the card or any reason why I received it. He said it would go to the fraud dept. That is who I thought I was talking to - the fraud dept. After a ridiculously long wait on the phone pressing all the buttons, I was supposed to be talking to the fraud dept. When he asked for my phone number, I refused to give it as he asked to verify it. I asked him what phone number he had, and he would not tell me! So I have absolutely no idea why they sent me this card of if someone is trying to steal my identity. Something is fishy here.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I've had their card a short time, under a year and it was finally hacked by someone and used to purchase an airline ticket. Well, the bank simply replaced the card with a new one which I received in about a week then activated it only to find two nights later they rejected (3 times) a purchase I was making? When I got home I found an alert had been issued regarding 'my' attempt to make that prior purchase? I called their security number that was given me in the e-mail but got no response? I finally found their security number (different number than my e-mail), called them which appeared to be on another continent or maybe even, planet? I was then asked a few ID questions and if it was I whom made the attempts to purchase the item at the store I used my card and I told them it was in fact me.

I was then told "ok, thank you" and I should have no more problems with them stopping my card service each time I used it? But what was really interesting is when they ask you to take a one-question survey and the question you're asked is, "would you hire the person who had just helped you?" Oh hell yeah, sure I would, I mean in the course of our two-minute exchange of words I got to know this person better than my own family! Unbelievable!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I received a credit card pre approval invitation to open a credit card with this company offering $150 rebate after spending $500. I applied online after calling and reaching a very "challenged person" obviously reading a script and did not understand English or the value of someone's time. Then went on to tell me I was being transferred to someone else but there would be a very long wait. So I declined and applied online. Talk about a zillion questions and very personal info they want and after answering ALL THOSE QUESTIONS, I receive an email saying I have been declined due to my identity could not be confirmed with a number to call. I called the number and got no help or suggestions only a rude woman saying my application had been declined due to unproven identity. Are you kidding me!

You people sent an invitation preapproved to my home address with my name on it, not to mention I have owned my home. For 20 years lived in the same place and have STELLAR CREDIT with over 800 FICO score. So I asked that all my personal information including SS # be deleted and then was denied that as well. Then I got very firm and said, "look. You are not providing me with a credit card and legally if I ask you to delete my personal information you are required to do so." They said they would. If you get a preapproved invitation to this card, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME. Totally unprofessional and incompetent!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I wanted to know my balance transfer amount, I tried to check online and I used the automated system but neither would allow me to view this info. I called the number on the back of the credit card, finally was able to get a live person, they were unable to help me. I got transferred 4 times, waited 40 minutes and received this resolution from the representative "I'm sorry sir, try going online or using our automated services." The entire customer service might as well be automated, they both offer no help!

Original review: July 28, 2017

Listen, I sort of get it. HSBC is a large global entity, and as such I imagine the volume of customer service issues that they have to deal with is humongous. Nevertheless, it's even more imperative that they should have good customer service and have systems in place to deal with all the issues that keep cropping up. In March, my credit card was frauded about a week and a half before I left the country for a two-week business trip. I called them, I asked them to send me a replacement, and they assured me that I would get it within 4-6 business days. They also asked me if they were supposed to send it to an old address in California, and I asked them to send it to my current address in NYC. They made me go through an address change, which was fine, but then as it turns out, the card didn't actually get sent till about a week AFTER I had made the initial call.

When I called, they assured me that it would get to me in time... and it did, but it got sent to my California address. Mind you, this happened after they had processed the address change. So I then had to spend my own funds to get the card priority shipped to me, and after all that, I didn't even get an apology from HSBC. I let it go, because until that point, HSBC had been fairly decent in customer service. Fast-forward till today. My credit card was frauded five days ago, so I called the Security Centre, went through the process, asked for a new card. Given that I had a week and a half until I left New York, I was assured that it would get to me in 4-6 business days. I asked, I confirmed, I made them aware that they would be shipping it to my new address. They assured me that they would process it right away. This all happened Sunday.

Today it's Friday and I hadn't received ANY notification about it whatsoever, so I called just to check on the status. The first call I made, I was told that it was shipped out and ready to go. Then they transferred me a bunch of times just to confirm my details, and they put me on hold for ten minutes, and then they came back and told me that ACTUALLY, they hadn't confirmed my details at all, so the card hadn't even been processed, and in fact, it wouldn't be shipping out until next week. I received no call, no email to follow up, nothing to indicate that they needed something from me, and when I brought this up, I was told that they were "behind on following up on all these requests".

I was willing to let the first experience go since it felt like a one-time deal, but twice in five months is a bit much. HSBC needs to get some good infrastructure in place to handle these sorts of things - it seems a bit ridiculous that consumers are bounced from department to department repeating the same things, only to then get told that HSBC can't actually process their needs in a timely manner because they are "lagging behind" in handling these requests. It's quite frankly unacceptable, and I'm very disappointed in what used to be an excellent bank.

Original review: April 22, 2017

I have been a loyal, law-abiding Credit card holder with HSBC for over 11 years. Recently, without informing me they suddenly cancelled my card & did not even bother to inform me. The problem at their end only arose when I planned to claim my Bonus points that had accumulated to nearly 40k. Since I had been regularly also paying an annual fee for my Krisflyer membership, I wanted to convert these points to miles, when lo and behold my card is cancelled. I called them innumerable times, but the customer service Rep knew nothing about it & said someone would contact me.

When no one contacted me, I called again and this time was connected to someone who said could address my queries. She told me it was a system error, but most of the time she sounded clueless and kept making random claims which I corrected for her. I told her I had NEVER defaulted in my payments, so why the cancellation? She couldn't answer that. When I asked about my Bonus points she told me very sweetly that they would be forfeited and the bank will be very kind and reissue a new card minus the bonus points to me. I now wonder whether this whole drama was about my claiming the bonus points. All these years, I didn't claim anything, so they had no problems, and now when I did wish to convert some of my points to miles, my card was suddenly cancelled by their 'system'.

Original review: March 11, 2017

I had a credit card with HSBC, I paid my bill on time and I have a credit rating of 820 plus. In 2009 they decreased my credit limit. I called several time asking why and no one would actually tell me why. I found out through someone that once worked for HSBC that if a credit card is paid off each month then that account is no good for them because they are not making money off of you. They sold my credit card to Capital One, with the same low credit line. I am going to cancel this card completely... What do I need them for... Nothing at all.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I'm requesting paper statements instead of e-statements so I can monitor my account very well. They claim I have to do it myself by logging into my account online. The problem is that I can't log in because I don't have access to internet. Also they're online banking is the worst. I honestly don't know how they're still in business.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I have applied credit card of HSBC, your person collected my all documents and verified all documents, and I didn't received any call for verification. Now I called up to customer care. They are telling my application has declined, why I don't know. If you don't want to give a card then why you collected my documents and why you had called me for applying.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

I have applied for a HSBC Platinum Qantas credit card and first used my credit card on 4th August 2016. HSBC billed me the annual fees on 9 August 2016. On 1 November I contacted HSBC asking why the 60,000 Qantas Points was not credited? They stated my application was entitled for 40,000 Qantas point not 60,000. When I applied for HSBC credit card it was because I read in the internet that a 60,000 Qantas point will be credited to you if you spend $2,500 in three months after the credit card was issued. I have spend more than $10,000 but only realized that they credited 40,000 not 60,000.

Another issue was about the free Qantas Frequent Flyer card also not fulfilled by HSBC as advertised, I have to contact Qantas Frequent Flyer and purchased the card not as what they advertised, free Qantas Frequent Flyer. I felt been cheated by HSBC. This credit card sale technique was unprofessional and am thinking to cancel it. My advise to everyone is must print out the copy of their sale brochure at least with a screen shot to prove your entitlement. Get them to email you a copy of their promise before signing up.

Original review: June 29, 2016

I opened a HSBC Credit Card in September to buy my daughter a new laptop since they were offering 0% interest. I paid off the balance of the card and the very next day HSBC cancelled my card without warning. The only reason I paid off the balance was to cover the rest of her college tuition. Had I known they were going to cancel the card, I would not have paid off the balance. I have never had a credit card company cancel a card without notice or reason. I will never open another credit account with this company again.

Original review: May 20, 2016

I've had my HSBC credit card for 5 years now and so far I'm satisfied with their service. They also increased my credit limit recently even if I didn't apply for one and my current employment status with them states that I'm unemployed. They are prompt in alerting me of any unusual spending activity involving my card and their customer service hotline is easy to reach. But based on experience, if you don't pay on time, you'll be haunted by their collection agents day and night.

Original review: May 15, 2016

My HSBC credit card has helped me a lot of times especially during emergencies. It is a very reliable card. It has never let me down. I am happy that I signed up for this card. Their customer service reps are always easy to talk to. They are friendly and are not rude. The wait time is very short - less than 3 mins. I use this card to pay bills, for my monthly donations and, rarely, for shopping. I just hope that they improve on their promos. Other credit cards have very good promos. I hope they focus on this.

Also most of the cards nowadays have WAIVED ANNUAL FEES FOR LIFE. I'm really thinking now of changing cards if HSBC still continue to charge annual fees. I know that it can be waived but it is now automatic or it is conditional. I still have to call and still have to use the card and spend a specific amount of money so in essence I still paid for the annual fee unlike the other cards where I won't have to do anything. I really don't want to change cards but if nothing happens soon I might have to. Nevertheless, aside from the promos and annual fee, I'm still satisfied with my card...

Original review: May 12, 2016

I have had a credit card from HSBC about 12 yrs ago. I called to let them know I could not make payments due to I had surgery and couldn't work any longer. I was making small payments for awhile then had to stop. I could not afford it and I told them that. My card had a credit limit of like $300 on it. Now I get a restricted call saying that they will be issuing me a summons to court tomorrow. They will hand deliver it to me at my house. This is the first I heard of it and when I told them that the lady laughed and said, "Oh you didn't get anything?" "Hmm, that's funny," she said. "Oh well just give these people a call and they will help you out and explain why they are suing you."

Well she said the card had a credit limit that went up to over $700 and now has accrued charges of 75% interest. My bill is now $2600.87! WOW!! What is wrong here??? I tried to talk to them but they didn't want to hear anything. She said, "Are you going to pay this or not?" and I said, "No, I can't." She laughed and said the summons will be delivered tomorrow by hand at my home... Time to get a lawyer on this. They have a lousy attitude. They think it is funny... I DON'T! I will NEVER use this bank again and will never give a good comment about them and never refer anyone to them. Can't wait to see my lawyer.

Original review: March 20, 2016

HSBC is terrible! We have had our credit card scammed twice and it has taken the bank 10 weeks to putting the first scam right. I am not looking forward to this next one. In the meantime we can't use the card because the limit is used by the fraudsters. Shocking service. Unsafe card. Don't touch them.

Original review: March 20, 2016

My husband and I had HSBC credit cards for over 20 years. We paid all our bills each month and had accumulated 1000s of points (which transfer to various flight miles, savings bonds, etc.). OUT OF THE BLUE, our cards were canceled. We called customer service and tried to resolve the issue. They said we had "neglected to send appropriate information". BS. They have never requested any info from us. We had been customers for years and years. We tried calling, we wrote letters, we got no response. If you called, they said write. Our letter was returned... "no such address". We lost $1,000s with this unexplained action. We have never gotten any of our "bonus" money returned to us. What a complete ripoff. After all the years.

HSBC credit card Company Information

HSBC
www.us.hsbc.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business