Find the Best Card

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

272 HSBC Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

I had a security hold placed on my credit card due to my making too many payments! HSBC did nothing to contact me, no phone call, email or text saying there was an issue. I initially called and waited on hold for maybe 20 minutes and was told to call back the next day to talk to the security department. When I called I waited another 20-30 min on hold and was told to email a copy of a bill to prove my address, I emailed it multiple times and it would not go through. The phone got disconnected and I called back and was on hold for 44 minutes before I hung up. I tried calling again later and I was on hold for over 1 hr and 49 minutes without speaking to a single person! I ended up hanging up again.

I contacted the company through their chat option and their first response was for me to call the same number I had been trying, eventually, the person on the chat got ahold of someone in the department and got the hold cleared, this took approximately 30 minutes to accomplish. Now I'm being told the payment that was fully taken out of my bank 4 days ago will take several days to post to my account even though my other payments usually post the same or the next day! I am unable to use this credit card due to the ineptitude of their security and customer service department! If you never have to call for customer service or their security department this is not a bad card however if you ever have an issue make some popcorn and have a drink because you will be waiting forever!

Original review: April 16, 2019

This is the worst company to even think about getting a credit card from. They have the worst customer service and this company is a complete FRAUD AND A SCAM!!! They should be investigated for fraudulent practices. Serious ineptitude and many don't listen, don't speak properly. Most of the call centers are overseas and will transfer you multiple times and you still don't get real answers. And from what I see here they are also proned to hacking so your personal information are at risk. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM, YOU WILL BE PUTTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CREDIT AT RISK and they will not care, will not help, and cannot verify anything.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

This is the most horrible bank I have ever dealt with; and I am 72 years old so not new to this. I will not bore you with a story that is repetitive to so many of the others. I can verify that they are not exaggerating. Do yourself a favor and stay away. It‘s a nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

They have the worst customer service you can imagine. Mine was hacked soon after I started using it. It has been a nightmare. Their website is not secure, the reps give you various answers to the same problem and you will spend hour trying to get it fixed and it will not happen. The wear and tear on your nervous system is deadly in stress. Do not ever use this card. They induce people with promises of $150.00 to $300.00 credit if $2500.00 charged and paid for within the first three months. You will never see it. This group should not be allowed to do business anywhere. They sent my statements to the wrong address and I could go on forever, just do NOT use this card. Unless you hate peace of mind.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Do not apply for or waste your time with this credit card. You cannot sign up for online banking easily or even after 45 minutes on the phone transferring to different people and offices. Must get a PIN or telephone access code first and while that might sound simple, unfortunately it is the most difficult process I have seen so far. I am a middle aged man, have an average 800+ credit score for the last decade at least, have every major credit card in my wallet and this is the worst CC experience of my life without exaggeration. After another marathon phone call (Intl) when I was told they couldn't help me until I returned to the US, I'd had it. I am just glad I never charged anything on the card and I told them to cancel the card immediately. I WILL NEVER EVER APPLY FOR OR USE ANY HSBC PRODUCT EVER AGAIN! Future applicants be wary, this company has something significantly wrong with it. Avoid HSBC like Ebola or the bubonic plague.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I applied for this card due to the 18 month no interest. I received the card, activated it, and then the next tried to transfer balances. When I was in the online account the statement said no credit available. I attempted the live chat and got told to call customer service. I talked with customer service who told me their Verification Department needed to speak to me to verify information. Then I was told they only work from 8 am to 5 pm Monday thru Friday. How are you supposed to call them when you are at work during the same hours? I attempted to call the next morning, but was on hold for an hour and 40 minutes.

I finally hung up, called the customer service number on the card and talked with a CSR to close the account. She said she would have to call the Verification Department to get them to close the account and HOPEFULLY she could get through quicker. She came back on the phone about 15 minutes later and said the account was closed and I would be getting the letter I requested stating that in 7 business days. DO NOT deal with these people. This is definitely the worse company I have dealt with in the past 35 years of credit cards and financial dealings.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I got pre approved letter in my mail and I applied online for this credit card. After apply it didn’t tell me decision right away. It says, "Your application is being reviewed." Then after 3 days they wanted my driver license, paycheck stubs and address proof. I trusted and I emailed my documents to them. After few days I was told they couldn’t verify my identity. Are you kidding??? I emailed everything they asked me to do so. This company is a big scam. I called credit bureau and told them about it. So I won’t get identity problems in the future. I wish I wouldn’t have provided all the info to them. Oh well, we learn from our mistake. Never ever going to trust in this company again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I applied for this card online and, in the course of my application, I had to step away and the application "timed out". I started again, from scratch because there was no option to get back into the existing application. I completed the application and was quickly approved. For the next week, I have received numerous, almost threatening emails to complete my application. I tried Live Chat to have someone cancel that application and was told that had to be done by phone. Yeah... it'll expire eventually.

Today I received the card. I tried to activate it online and already started running into glitches in the site. I came here and I am relieved I haven't used it or transferred any other balances to it. I will lock it up and never use it based on the average complaints and 1 star reviews here. I will however, monitor the account to make sure nothing suspicious happens. If it does, I will promptly close the account. This entire group of reviews is downright frightening! How is this allowed to continue without any consequences to this organization? Appalling!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

This is obviously a scam. Used card once. Immediate hold put on the card. 5 days and almost 5 HOURS on hold and no live person. This is a disgrace and should be stopped. DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE CARDS. What a mess.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

They sent me an invitation for a "pre-qualified" credit card in the mail. How I wish I had torn that up! Now it's 2 months later, I've literally spent hours in phone calls and emails and document-sending to them. So many repeated and varied screw-ups on their part! Big big big waste of time to deal with these totally incompetent people. Do yourself a big favor and don't bother doing any kind of business with them!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

It is not a bad thing to be paranoid about conducting finance online. I appreciate when a company makes it hard to access personal information that certainly would be considered sensitive. In some small way that shows me that they care about the gravity of my personal data and that they are willing to take measures to protect that data and that is a very good thing.

I have an HSBC credit card and I use the website as a way to view my balance and payment information. When I first got the card I was able to login to the HSBC Bank page with my username and password. About two months ago they added another layer of security by forcing me to log in using my username, my birthday, and then my password. My birthday is not high-security information; in fact, many personal data websites will list your name, the city you live in and your date of birth. Adding my birthday was not the best way to harden and validate the authentication process. A month ago, citing concerns over security, HSBC adopted ReCaptcha on the login page. The sequence to access the page is to enter the username, birthday and password and the possibility of having to solve a ReCaptcha screen (pictures of traffic lights, storefronts, etc.).

This morning, despite multiple attempts at trying to solve the ReCaptcha image of headlights which I believe was correct, I was told to keep solving until I could be verified. Eventually, a screen came up which said; "Your credentials have been temporarily revoked. Please call 1-800-555-1234." This phone call put me on a long wait line to talk to a customer service representative.

My first complaint. My birthday is not private data, would not a pin code created by the user work better? My second complaint. ReCaptcha obviously is not a good way to deter unwanted traffic if, in turn, it inconveniences customers who have a legitimate need to access the website. Resolve: There are a host of two-factor authentication tools out there that far surpass birth dates and being able to identify street lights from grainy photos. A few banks that I do business with will send me a code in the form of a text message which is good for a limited time on top of the username/password combination. I would never complain about security but the current security used by HSBC is adequate at best and the recent additional layers add nothing but inconvenience and annoyance for legitimate users of the website.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Set up payment as usual this month. Went to use card and it decline. Was told 3 days for payment to clear. Payment clear my bank on 12/17/18 yet being told I have to wait 'til 12/26/18 for the card to be unlocked. We have a superior credit rating and have never been treated like this by any other bank or credit card. Canceling this card. Not worth the aggravation.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

7 calls in 3 plus hours of holding, I have gotten nowhere. Just got my HSBC credit card last week, activated it and went to use it only to be declined. I call HSBC customer service and was told that my card was blocked due to security or fraud. I've never even used the card before. They transferred me to the security fraud dept and I've been on hold ever since. After 7 calls and 3 plus hours of holding I am ready to just close the account, but guess what? I can't even do that until I talk to the security fraud dept. By far the biggest joke of a company, up there with Sprint and Comcast. Would not recommend! Wish I had read these reviews before I applied for this ** card. So pissed I could punch a ** hole in the wall. HSBC is a joke and does not value you or your time.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

This bank is a total scam. Cannot be a real bank. I applied because of the zero percent interest rate for 18 months. I got a credit limit of $5000. I used a convenience check to make a deposit into my checking account for $4800. Was charged a $192 balance transfer fee. I logged in a couple weeks later and paid that $192 fee plus another $200. Three days later they closed my account for non-payment and fraud. They didn't honor the convenience check. It was reversed on my checking account after a month and I was charged over $500 in bounced check charges and insufficient funds. HSBC will not get back to me. I have tried calling them over a dozen times but sit on hold for five or six hours and then they hang up.

I got through on Saturday after waiting on hold for 7 hours and 14 minutes only to be told that department is closed and to call back Monday. I have now been on hold 4 hours and 47 minutes. If they don't get to you before 5 pm, they leave for the day and you will never get through. So you have to call at 8 am and then will sit on hold for 9 hours without getting through if they don't hang up on you first. They are keeping my $392 in payments I made plus I was charged over $500 by the bank where I have my checking account. This should be illegal.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

After receiving a new card, I have spent in excess of 4 hours over the last week on hold trying to get the card working and access to the online account I opened. There has even been up to a half hour wait for initial contact who tell me they have no access to the account information and send me to another department which never answers the phone. One time, I was on hold for an hour and forty minutes and then disconnected. I just got the card for its no foreign transaction fees but it is certainly not worth it. No one I talked to could even cancel the account. I tried live chat too with no success, I have had charge cards for 40 years and never experienced anything like this. My suggestion is that you pass on this company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I live in Japan and wanted some information from HSBC. I have phoned them in the past but found this to be expensive and only after a 30 minute plus phone call did I find out that they couldn't assist me with my credit card inquiry anyway. I therefore decided to use the secure email communication, but did not receive a reply within the 48 hours they claim is needed. I sent a second email and still nothing. I then had long and protracted Live Chats with employees who seemed determined not to answer any questions I asked them, but kept asking me to call the phone line. Each Live Chat operator gave me different information (none of which directly answered my questions). The only consistent part of my experience was its sheer awfulness and each employee's persistence to not answer any actual questions that I asked and pass the buck. Take your banking elsewhere would be my advice.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Moving to the US in 2014 with Google, HSBC was among the few banking options we had available that did not require prior credit score history. HSBC turned out to be a nightmare bank and the second we could switch banks we did so. Here's just a sample of the problems: Approximately 2-3 times per month the HSBC MasterCard was blocked for suspected fraud. This required calling their service center which has an average wait time of 45-60 minutes. In our two years of HSBC service, the credit card incurred fraudulent charges over 5 times. Each time it took months to recover the charges. Calling the HSBC customer support team is horrible and stress inducing. You first need to wait 20-30 minutes MINIMUM while they play 1980's Muzak music. They are generally incompetent, transfer you between departments because they are extremely siloed.

Their online bank is shockingly bad with a terrible user experience. Their mobile app is even worse. It's basically a webview powered app with stuttery performance, weak feature support and a terrible authentication flow. They have only two branches in SF with limited hours. Overall, HSBC has been such a cause of stress and frustration. We changed to First Republic and it really is night and day, but I'm sure changing to ANY OTHER bank would be a massive upgrade. Stay away from HSBC.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I opened an account in November 2018. I received my card and activated it. I then set up an online account that I couldn't figure out how to use because my account never showed up. I attempted to use my card a couple of weeks after I activated it and got declined. I call customer service and they told me that Security Department needed information. I told them that I never received notification and they told me that they were waiting for me to call in. I was then transferred to the Security Department but could not get through because they close at 5 pm. I was told that I had to speak with them and that Customer Service could not help me and that I had to call back on Monday. I called back on Monday and was on hold for over three hours and nothing.

I called customer service back and they told me that they would call me back when they had someone from the department. After 5 pm, they called me and said that they couldn't get in contact with the department and they were now closed. I called customer service back and asked to close my account and was told that they again couldn't do that and the Security Department had to handle it. Here I am on Tuesday and I was disconnected by them after waiting for an hour and a half and now I'm on the phone again and have been waiting for over an hour and I just want to cancel my card. Honestly, this had been the worst experience of my life. Please for your sake, DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this horrible company. Capital One, Citi Bank, Amex... The options are endless, just please go with someone else.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I applied and received the HSBC gold MasterCard and activated about 10 days ago. I've called every single day twice a day waiting over an hour. Each time they keep trying to push me to another department and says call fraud or security. I don't understand it. I don't know what to do HSBC. I'm going to be putting this all over Facebook and Twitter. Also you have no idea how terrible your customer service is. I have tried such numerous times without a single correction or somebody to help me. My new HSBC gold MasterCard credit card still does not work and I cannot get through to anybody. Please call me and correct this asap. Get a hold of me and get this fixed right away.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I received my first statement two months late and there was a missed payment fee on it. I tried to reach customer support, and after calling the phone number on the statement I was put on a silent hold for a long time, and was disconnected, and I called again to be put on another lengthy silent hold. I got to speak to someone who gave me another number to call. I called that number to be told I need to call during business hours, but the following day I called during business hours and I got the same message. I have never experienced such a bad service.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Every time a credit card payment is attempted to be made the automated system states at end of process that the transaction cannot be completed and HSBC always states they're aware of issue and it will be corrected, REALLY, for a year!!! Then to make a payment to this company you can be on hold up to an hour or longer. This company needs to be investigated and it would be interesting to find out how many customers are charged late fees for no other reason but because the automated service failed to process payment, then the hold times are outrageously unacceptable. Avoid this company, they have been nothing but a nuisance to deal with since day one, they should be paying customers back for all of the annoyance and time consumption.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Updated on 01/04/2019: I was supposed to receive a statement this month including the Rs 27000 transaction to be converted into EMIs, but still my statement does not show this and I am to again for this month pay the 3% interest for the outstanding balance. Am I seem to be stupid? Why am I again being fooled by HSBC??? AGAIN THE COMMITMENTS MADE BY HSBC IS NOT BEING FULFILLED. What customer service your bank is offering? How can a customer be satisfied? I want this month billed to be reversed with the transaction getting converted into EMIs and get my revised statement. 3rd Jan my bill got generated and I was surprised to see my transaction again not converted into EMI, which was assured to be done within 4 working days from date 7th Dec which is the last time I had a talk with HSBC dept. Please take this matter into your priority list and resolve it asap.

Original review: I hold a credit card from HSBC and this is a new credit card added. I already use credit cards from other banks like SBI, HDFC, Induslnd etc. While offering the HSBC credit card I was said, "You will get an option of easy EMIs on ur card." I made a transaction of around 30k on my HSBC credit card and then I am not able to convert into EMI. When contacted the customer service they say I do not have that option in my card... Easy emi conversion is any basic bank offering any customer even with basic limits... else why would anyone go for credit cards???

Then I posted a complaint with customer forum and I received a call from HSBC that the transactions would be converted into EMIs and they apologize to me... Now I have been continuously making reminders on this issue. And this is almost a month and my next bill date is 3rd December and my transactions are not yet converted into EMI's. I want these converted into EMI's as soon as possible as promised to me by HSBC. And if not converted into EMI's then I am not going to pay any Bill's for the credit card. And I won't be responsible for this or any interests or any charges then applied towards the card.

This is almost a month I have been waiting for your replies and making reminders for the transactions to get converted into EMI's. Are you guys testing your customer's patience? Super poor customer service from HSBC. I want an immediate action to be taken on this issue else I am bound to register case against your bank.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I responded to an invitation that I received to apply for an HSBC credit card. The solicitation touted the "world class" customer service. I am not sure what "world" they are referring to. I wish I had reviewed the comments by other people before I applied. But, I did apply and was approved for a substantial credit line. After approval, I did receive the credit card. I was notified that I would receive a PIN in a few more days. Since I was traveling out of town for the Thanksgiving holiday, I wondered if I needed to have the PIN to use the card.

To get more information, I called the referenced telephone number and finally got connected with a customer service representative after a 40-minute wait. The customer service representative sounded very young and there was a language problem. This young woman sounded as though she was Asian, maybe Chinese. This seems correct since HSBC is a Chinese bank. I asked this young woman if I could use the credit card if I did not have the PIN. She did not know the answer. It is a simple question, I should have received a simple answer.

She came back on the telephone and told me that it would take longer to get the answer. She said that she had to call HSBC security to get an answer. This act by her would result in my never used credit card being "frozen". Finally, the connection was dropped. I then tried to reach customer service by "live chat" online. I waited for a while and was finally connected with an online customer service representative named "Kenneth". He said he could solve my question but needed more information and he needed to send me a code via text to my phone and to do that, he needed my phone number.

Keep in mind, I had given my phone number on the application and received at least three texts and emails affirming that my credit card had been mailed. So, Kenneth came back to me and said that my phone number was not valid and he asked for a different number. I said to him that this was my cell phone, and like many people, I did not have a second number. He suggested to me that I call HSBC security for clarification and he said that my never used card was now "frozen" which I did not know until this moment.

I tried to call HSBC credit card security but I was prompted that I needed a PIN which I did not have and this was why I called in the first place. Since I was out of town and not available to see if I had received a PIN, I would have to let this go until I was back to my house. I had also asked Kenneth if I could go to a branch to resolve this and he said no, it had to be done via phone. Due to this terrible service, I am returning the credit card that I was issued. I have not used it and it can be returned. I suggest to anyone who is considering a credit card through HSBC that they apply for a card from another bank.

I have never had this problem in all my years dealing with American banks or credit card issuers. The initial customer service rep did not know how to answer my question and she caused this problem by calling HSBC security and likely said that there was a caller who did not know the correct information so the credit card should be frozen. Later, Kenneth said that my phone number was not valid. I find that incredulous since even Social Security allows me to contact them via my phone as do my bank and other credit card companies. I do not need this card and I wish I had never applied. As many others have said, the customer service at HSBC is terrible. Go to another bank, do yourselves a favor. They do not need you and you do not need them.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I've had the card less than a year. I have excellent credit and pay my balance in full every month. Yet in the past 11 months I've been declined twice for routine, trivial purchases and no one can tell me why. When I called to ask why I'd been declined it took THREE DAYS before I was able to get through to an agent, spending hours each day on hold. Also somebody hacked my account and tried to pay a $5,000 court fine in Doha, Qatar with it. Their fraud alert did pick that up, but how the heck did it happen???? I prefer paper statements for ease of reconciliation, but by choosing that preference I'm not allowed to look at previous statements online which I need to do from time to time. I don't think this company has their act together. I'll be getting a new general-purpose card and scrapping this account.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I applied for this card online and my approval was immediate. I received emails when the card would be shipped and also the pin. Everything arrived on time. Account set up was a little tricky since they have to send a code to your phone, but with a little patience I got everything working just fine. I used the card the same day that I activated it. So far so good. I have used it at multiple stores and locations with no issues. I was able to set up payment with no problem. However, I set up payments and such as soon as I open a new account. This way I get the alerts by text before payment is due and simply click and pay. I don't wait till the bill is due to start learning to navigate a site.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I got this HSBC Mastercard in May after they sent me a preapproved letter. It took hours to finally get the rewards. Then on Sep 9 when I paid my bill they took double from my bank account. After being put on hold, being dropped and transferred I finally got an agent who blamed the website upgrades. I still have a print of the logon but there is no input box for the year of birth and yet you get an error.

Finally I found the Firefox browser worked. Since Sep, over 2 months, they still have not returned the extra payment instead charged me fees for late payment when I was not late, but paid double. I downloaded my transactions into Excel and the total does not match the summary page. They will not give you a direct phone number so every call and dropped call is a long hold. HSBC agents will threaten you about ruining your credit, if you don't pay the extra they are demanding. I have only had it for 3 months when the trouble started. I have paid my entire balance on time every month so the current demands are ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I applied for HSBC's Cash Rewards Card, I received the card 3 weeks ago but I cannot use the card since they said I need a pin even though I did not ask for one. The put a security block on my card AFTER they said that they sent me a pin. I have been calling every day for weeks and still cannot get any help, I am hold for hours, I went into a branch and they said that they cannot help, that even the branch is placed on hold. I called 8am this morning, and as of 9:22am I am still on hold waiting for a representative. This promotion has benefit IF you use the card within 3 months, are they misleading people by holding off usage PAST the 3 month period? Seems like it to me. One star is too much to rate, negative stars would be better.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I have attempted from the time I signed up for the HBSC card to get someone to help me get signed on to my online account. I do have an ID and password, but the only response I get after logging on is: System Error, System unavailable. Attempting to use the online Chat is a waste of time. No one ever is able to help, after waiting excessive amounts of time. What's up with this company? If I had it to do over I would NOT use HSBC. How does one get online to see account activity and make a payment? Can someone help with this?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I was going through a tough time and wasn't able to pay my bill. HSBC refused to remove any late fee and also refused to apply my rewards credit toward my bill until it was paid up. Any other credit card company would have helped out under these circumstances. Terrible company. They will rob you blind with interest every month! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HSBC!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

These crooks are doing all kind of illegal things. In 2007 they were offering a trip to Hawaii and for $300 for two people. I paid for myself and my BF at that time. They had also "the participating hotels" were charging different fees which I paid also to be at the hotel. I chose the 3 departure dates they asked me to, but every time a departure date was approaching they would cancel it. They took my money and never refunded to me. When I called 1800 number at the Salinas, CA, the HSBC location where I spoke to the person in charge of the trip, they would not answer the phone anymore. Be careful with these scammers. It is better to close the account as I did, they are real scammers. Last time I heard from these scammers, they were going to open in Brazil. I still have all the papers and letters from them to prove.

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information