Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
HSBC Credit Cards
3.27/5

HSBC credit card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

287 HSBC Credit Cards Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Before I received a card, I got a letter saying there was a security block. So I have a card that I can't use and they got my info. Tried to call the "fraud department" and put on hold. Nobody answers. Stay away.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

Frankly I don’t have time to outline ALL of the details to my horrible experience with this company (as I have already wasted at least 3 hours of my time on the phone with them). However, I felt that it was important to warn others. The bottom line is that the cash back promised at the outset was not what was given. I tried to remedy the situation several times and they kept telling me they would “escalate” to another department and then call me back. This never happened. I finally paid what I felt I didn’t owe (due to incorrect cash back amount) just to be done with the whole situation. Also, at the end of the last conversation, I was told by a customer service representative that the offer I was expecting didn’t exist when I applied. Just for a little perspective on this, I don’t EVER apply for credit cards unless I know exactly what I’m going to get in return for the effort. He was just flat out wrong.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I was with this credit card company for 20 years plus, never, ever did I make a late payment and I also have a credit card with First Direct (and a bank account and a savings account with a considerable sum of money in it) who are part of the same group and again never once had a late payment on my card or gone overdrawn on my bank balance. I would be considered a five star customer. Two years ago I moved home and for some reason, I don’t know how, the company didn’t have knowledge of my change of address. I contacted everybody I dealt with but somehow I missed HSBC, probably because most times you phone they are too busy to take your call. Anyway inadvertently I didn’t inform them, last September I tried to use the card and it got declined. I was travelling at the time so I didn’t contact them until November to find out why I couldn’t use my card. They informed me that it was because I had defaulted on my account.

I told them that wasn’t aware of an outstanding amount as I hadn’t received any statements and then we discovered that the statements had been sent to my old address. They had in their possession my email address and my telephone number, wouldn’t have been difficult to contact me, knowing of my history with them and my previous excellent character. They charged me an extra £100 interest, they closed the account and put a default notice against my name. When I offered to pay them, the person on the phone said there’s no point in paying as they won’t come after me for the money. I told him that I wanted to settle the account so that it wouldn’t show up on my credit score as a default. This was in May when I settled the account and yet instead of showing satisfied on my credit score it still shows up as a default. This is an absolutely disgraceful way to treat a customer. Stay away from this company... You have been warned.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Their website is with a look, feel and functionality of the late 90s. I discovered my credit card was blocked just by accident. No notifications, nothing. Tried the chat....after 10 minutes, they transfer me to "security" team. 45 minutes on hold on the phone trying to reach this "security" team. After verifications, and 5 more minutes on hold it turned out this team cannot help me. An investigator would have to "investigate suspicious activity" and will call me at some point. So far 1.5 hours of my life wasted. Purchases from Menards, Floor & Decor and Home Depot were classified by the "security team" as "suspicious activity". Nice! I don't know what these people have for breakfast but...anything from the above listed I find unacceptable. Run Run away from that card.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I got approve for one of their cards that took over 3 months to arrive at my house. The original card was sent to the incorrect address so I had it resend to me. After receiving the card I called them because I wanted to take advantage of the 18 months no interest. Well to my surprise I only had 15 months left because they counted the 3 months that I didn’t receive the card...That’s pretty crazy if you ask me. I escalate the situation & they still said that the bank made no mistake. Even though the card was sent by them to the incorrect address & the USA post office returned the card to them. Awful customer service & false advertising. I closed the account & will go with a known & reputable bank like Citibank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: July 17, 2019

I own this card almost 2 years and it came to my mind that HSBC Australia uses different math than the rest of the world. I used offer to transfer other credit card balance for 24 month for 0% per annum. It is somewhat fake unless you do not use this card at all.

Concerns:

1. Pretend that you have transfer of $4000 (for 2 years), then you spend $500 during billing period. When statement is issued you pay $250. In these circumstances you will be billed 19.99% interest for the outstanding $4250. If you want to avoid this rip-off, you pay $500 or more. Imagine if you had transferred $1000, spent $5000 during billing period and paid off $4990. Then HSBC will charge you 19.99% interest for $6000. I asked twice “are you sure?" In my scale of values, you should charge interest on $10 only…?”, however, that is what I was told by the representative on phone when I asked how they calculate.

2. Pretend that you have transfer of $4000 (for 2 years), Then you go to Harvey Norman and purchase laundry machine for $1500. Then you decide to return the product as it does not fit ion your environment. Store, of course, returns money to your credit card. HSBC though, allocated money towards $4000 that you have borrowed and at the end of billing period you MUST pay anyway $1500. Otherwise 19.99% applies to the entire outstanding amount. The transferred balance will be reduced for $1500 even if you do not want to. The representative on phone said that this is how the system calculates the statements and he (representative) could not do anything about it.

3. On top of it, every transaction with overseas merchants is accompanied by not only “Special” exchange rate (similar to cash exchange rate at airport), but also some “international transaction fee”. I was under impression that “VISA” and “PLATINUM” on to of it is designed to be used internationally to deliver convenience and assurance. Apparently not this one.

Conclusion: HSBC offer is a trap. Had I known this; I would have never, ever, ever, ever applied to HSBS. They call it “Platinum”. Recommendation: STAY AWAY!

Original review: June 27, 2019

HSBC CREDIT CARD FALSE OFFER. ABOUT THE OFFER:

- Buy 1 ticket and get 1 free with HSBC Credit Cards.
- Offer valid on BookMyShow mobile app only.

- Offer can be availed on anyday for Saturday shows.

The offer can be availed once per HSBC credit card per month. It is valid up to 31 August 2019 only. Because of this offer only I bought this card, other I could have been bought some other credit card. But it is now changed to - [Offer can be availed only on Saturday for Saturday shows.]. Just for name sake they are giving this offer. Anyhow I am going to cancel the card. Well, this is my advice - if you are saying any offer stick to it, otherwise don't provide this kind of offer. Now it’s your turn. It all depends on you.

Original review: June 7, 2019

In seeking a balance transfer card with 0% APR, I was directed to a few cards. I was not interested in having annual fees, rewards, etc. The online application process was easy, got a confirmation email, then 3 days later approval email that the card was on its way! I too had seen so many negative reviews, I was cautiously optimistic. I do not know why others have had such a bad experience, but I was able to transfer another card balance, make online purchase, and pay-at-the-pump for gas. Within the same week, I went online and paid 2 separate times to cover a purchase I made, all without incident. Customer service hold time was longish, but got detailed info and got my questions answered correctly. So far, no issues and I expect to be able to pay off that bal transfer well within the 15 months allowed w/ no interest. After that only 14.24%. Well worth my effort in getting the card. Thank you HSBC.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I wish I had reviewed these complaints before getting a card with HSBC. Everything posted about this company is true. Believe it all because if you don't you will find out the hard way. I made purchases, paid the card before the statement and they put a fraud alert on my account. Now, I can't pay the card off or close the account. Spent 3 days now with their fraudulent fraud department.

On hold for hours EVERY TIME you call. Then when you send in the required documentation they request months later, you have to sit by your phone because if you miss their call you have to start all over again. They called me yesterday and I said hello 5 times and they said nothing and then hung up. I guess they filled their requirement by "calling" me. It's a fraud and scam to charge fees and not let you make payment to avoid interest charges and then won't let you make a payment. Scam! I have two other CC's and can handle fraud issues in a matter of minutes not DAYS. This has to be illegal and surely a lawsuit can be filed against them. I'll be checking with an attorney to see what options are.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Seriously, I never ever saw such cheap company service. In 2019th they charges us for calling customer service, begger sale, at_least start charges after receiving call by service employee, but no they put you on hold too long time and charge you so company can do payments of this employees. You required 25-40 INR to ask your simple query. I request you reader please don't go with HSBC Credit Card. If already have then stop its use. It's big company. They dont require customers now.

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information