Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
HSBC Credit Cards
3.26/5

HSBC credit card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

288 HSBC Credit Cards Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Do not apply for or waste your time with this credit card. You cannot sign up for online banking easily or even after 45 minutes on the phone transferring to different people and offices. Must get a PIN or telephone access code first and while that might sound simple, unfortunately it is the most difficult process I have seen so far. I am a middle aged man, have an average 800+ credit score for the last decade at least, have every major credit card in my wallet and this is the worst CC experience of my life without exaggeration. After another marathon phone call (Intl) when I was told they couldn't help me until I returned to the US, I'd had it. I am just glad I never charged anything on the card and I told them to cancel the card immediately. I WILL NEVER EVER APPLY FOR OR USE ANY HSBC PRODUCT EVER AGAIN! Future applicants be wary, this company has something significantly wrong with it. Avoid HSBC like Ebola or the bubonic plague.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I applied for this card due to the 18 month no interest. I received the card, activated it, and then the next tried to transfer balances. When I was in the online account the statement said no credit available. I attempted the live chat and got told to call customer service. I talked with customer service who told me their Verification Department needed to speak to me to verify information. Then I was told they only work from 8 am to 5 pm Monday thru Friday. How are you supposed to call them when you are at work during the same hours? I attempted to call the next morning, but was on hold for an hour and 40 minutes.

I finally hung up, called the customer service number on the card and talked with a CSR to close the account. She said she would have to call the Verification Department to get them to close the account and HOPEFULLY she could get through quicker. She came back on the phone about 15 minutes later and said the account was closed and I would be getting the letter I requested stating that in 7 business days. DO NOT deal with these people. This is definitely the worse company I have dealt with in the past 35 years of credit cards and financial dealings.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I got pre approved letter in my mail and I applied online for this credit card. After apply it didn’t tell me decision right away. It says, "Your application is being reviewed." Then after 3 days they wanted my driver license, paycheck stubs and address proof. I trusted and I emailed my documents to them. After few days I was told they couldn’t verify my identity. Are you kidding??? I emailed everything they asked me to do so. This company is a big scam. I called credit bureau and told them about it. So I won’t get identity problems in the future. I wish I wouldn’t have provided all the info to them. Oh well, we learn from our mistake. Never ever going to trust in this company again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I applied for this card online and, in the course of my application, I had to step away and the application "timed out". I started again, from scratch because there was no option to get back into the existing application. I completed the application and was quickly approved. For the next week, I have received numerous, almost threatening emails to complete my application. I tried Live Chat to have someone cancel that application and was told that had to be done by phone. Yeah... it'll expire eventually.

Today I received the card. I tried to activate it online and already started running into glitches in the site. I came here and I am relieved I haven't used it or transferred any other balances to it. I will lock it up and never use it based on the average complaints and 1 star reviews here. I will however, monitor the account to make sure nothing suspicious happens. If it does, I will promptly close the account. This entire group of reviews is downright frightening! How is this allowed to continue without any consequences to this organization? Appalling!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

This is obviously a scam. Used card once. Immediate hold put on the card. 5 days and almost 5 HOURS on hold and no live person. This is a disgrace and should be stopped. DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE CARDS. What a mess.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

They sent me an invitation for a "pre-qualified" credit card in the mail. How I wish I had torn that up! Now it's 2 months later, I've literally spent hours in phone calls and emails and document-sending to them. So many repeated and varied screw-ups on their part! Big big big waste of time to deal with these totally incompetent people. Do yourself a big favor and don't bother doing any kind of business with them!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

It is not a bad thing to be paranoid about conducting finance online. I appreciate when a company makes it hard to access personal information that certainly would be considered sensitive. In some small way that shows me that they care about the gravity of my personal data and that they are willing to take measures to protect that data and that is a very good thing.

I have an HSBC credit card and I use the website as a way to view my balance and payment information. When I first got the card I was able to login to the HSBC Bank page with my username and password. About two months ago they added another layer of security by forcing me to log in using my username, my birthday, and then my password. My birthday is not high-security information; in fact, many personal data websites will list your name, the city you live in and your date of birth. Adding my birthday was not the best way to harden and validate the authentication process. A month ago, citing concerns over security, HSBC adopted ReCaptcha on the login page. The sequence to access the page is to enter the username, birthday and password and the possibility of having to solve a ReCaptcha screen (pictures of traffic lights, storefronts, etc.).

This morning, despite multiple attempts at trying to solve the ReCaptcha image of headlights which I believe was correct, I was told to keep solving until I could be verified. Eventually, a screen came up which said; "Your credentials have been temporarily revoked. Please call 1-800-555-1234." This phone call put me on a long wait line to talk to a customer service representative.

My first complaint. My birthday is not private data, would not a pin code created by the user work better? My second complaint. ReCaptcha obviously is not a good way to deter unwanted traffic if, in turn, it inconveniences customers who have a legitimate need to access the website. Resolve: There are a host of two-factor authentication tools out there that far surpass birth dates and being able to identify street lights from grainy photos. A few banks that I do business with will send me a code in the form of a text message which is good for a limited time on top of the username/password combination. I would never complain about security but the current security used by HSBC is adequate at best and the recent additional layers add nothing but inconvenience and annoyance for legitimate users of the website.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Set up payment as usual this month. Went to use card and it decline. Was told 3 days for payment to clear. Payment clear my bank on 12/17/18 yet being told I have to wait 'til 12/26/18 for the card to be unlocked. We have a superior credit rating and have never been treated like this by any other bank or credit card. Canceling this card. Not worth the aggravation.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

7 calls in 3 plus hours of holding, I have gotten nowhere. Just got my HSBC credit card last week, activated it and went to use it only to be declined. I call HSBC customer service and was told that my card was blocked due to security or fraud. I've never even used the card before. They transferred me to the security fraud dept and I've been on hold ever since. After 7 calls and 3 plus hours of holding I am ready to just close the account, but guess what? I can't even do that until I talk to the security fraud dept. By far the biggest joke of a company, up there with Sprint and Comcast. Would not recommend! Wish I had read these reviews before I applied for this ** card. So pissed I could punch a ** hole in the wall. HSBC is a joke and does not value you or your time.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

This bank is a total scam. Cannot be a real bank. I applied because of the zero percent interest rate for 18 months. I got a credit limit of $5000. I used a convenience check to make a deposit into my checking account for $4800. Was charged a $192 balance transfer fee. I logged in a couple weeks later and paid that $192 fee plus another $200. Three days later they closed my account for non-payment and fraud. They didn't honor the convenience check. It was reversed on my checking account after a month and I was charged over $500 in bounced check charges and insufficient funds. HSBC will not get back to me. I have tried calling them over a dozen times but sit on hold for five or six hours and then they hang up.

I got through on Saturday after waiting on hold for 7 hours and 14 minutes only to be told that department is closed and to call back Monday. I have now been on hold 4 hours and 47 minutes. If they don't get to you before 5 pm, they leave for the day and you will never get through. So you have to call at 8 am and then will sit on hold for 9 hours without getting through if they don't hang up on you first. They are keeping my $392 in payments I made plus I was charged over $500 by the bank where I have my checking account. This should be illegal.

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information