Find the Best Card

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

271 HSBC Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 29, 2016

I opened a HSBC Credit Card in September to buy my daughter a new laptop since they were offering 0% interest. I paid off the balance of the card and the very next day HSBC cancelled my card without warning. The only reason I paid off the balance was to cover the rest of her college tuition. Had I known they were going to cancel the card, I would not have paid off the balance. I have never had a credit card company cancel a card without notice or reason. I will never open another credit account with this company again.

Original review: May 20, 2016

I've had my HSBC credit card for 5 years now and so far I'm satisfied with their service. They also increased my credit limit recently even if I didn't apply for one and my current employment status with them states that I'm unemployed. They are prompt in alerting me of any unusual spending activity involving my card and their customer service hotline is easy to reach. But based on experience, if you don't pay on time, you'll be haunted by their collection agents day and night.

Original review: May 15, 2016

My HSBC credit card has helped me a lot of times especially during emergencies. It is a very reliable card. It has never let me down. I am happy that I signed up for this card. Their customer service reps are always easy to talk to. They are friendly and are not rude. The wait time is very short - less than 3 mins. I use this card to pay bills, for my monthly donations and, rarely, for shopping. I just hope that they improve on their promos. Other credit cards have very good promos. I hope they focus on this.

Also most of the cards nowadays have WAIVED ANNUAL FEES FOR LIFE. I'm really thinking now of changing cards if HSBC still continue to charge annual fees. I know that it can be waived but it is now automatic or it is conditional. I still have to call and still have to use the card and spend a specific amount of money so in essence I still paid for the annual fee unlike the other cards where I won't have to do anything. I really don't want to change cards but if nothing happens soon I might have to. Nevertheless, aside from the promos and annual fee, I'm still satisfied with my card...

Original review: May 12, 2016

I have had a credit card from HSBC about 12 yrs ago. I called to let them know I could not make payments due to I had surgery and couldn't work any longer. I was making small payments for awhile then had to stop. I could not afford it and I told them that. My card had a credit limit of like $300 on it. Now I get a restricted call saying that they will be issuing me a summons to court tomorrow. They will hand deliver it to me at my house. This is the first I heard of it and when I told them that the lady laughed and said, "Oh you didn't get anything?" "Hmm, that's funny," she said. "Oh well just give these people a call and they will help you out and explain why they are suing you."

Well she said the card had a credit limit that went up to over $700 and now has accrued charges of 75% interest. My bill is now $2600.87! WOW!! What is wrong here??? I tried to talk to them but they didn't want to hear anything. She said, "Are you going to pay this or not?" and I said, "No, I can't." She laughed and said the summons will be delivered tomorrow by hand at my home... Time to get a lawyer on this. They have a lousy attitude. They think it is funny... I DON'T! I will NEVER use this bank again and will never give a good comment about them and never refer anyone to them. Can't wait to see my lawyer.

Original review: March 20, 2016

HSBC is terrible! We have had our credit card scammed twice and it has taken the bank 10 weeks to putting the first scam right. I am not looking forward to this next one. In the meantime we can't use the card because the limit is used by the fraudsters. Shocking service. Unsafe card. Don't touch them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: March 20, 2016

My husband and I had HSBC credit cards for over 20 years. We paid all our bills each month and had accumulated 1000s of points (which transfer to various flight miles, savings bonds, etc.). OUT OF THE BLUE, our cards were canceled. We called customer service and tried to resolve the issue. They said we had "neglected to send appropriate information". BS. They have never requested any info from us. We had been customers for years and years. We tried calling, we wrote letters, we got no response. If you called, they said write. Our letter was returned... "no such address". We lost $1,000s with this unexplained action. We have never gotten any of our "bonus" money returned to us. What a complete ripoff. After all the years.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2016

Tried to make a payment using credit card online. Got as far as the one-time password, no password forthcoming. Tried 3 times. Called the HSBC folks who blamed the telco!! Bunch of amateurs.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

As a new "premier" customer, they gave me a new credit card and said that I'd get $250 cash back or $400 in airline tickets if I spend more than $2,500 in the first three months. I spent the required amount, but they refuse to give me the bonus (in cash or airline ticket). I spent my $2,500 during the three months after I had received the card in the mail, but they say that I needed to have spent the $2,500 during the three months that began immediately after I signed up for the card at the HSBC branch. It took ten days for the card to arrive to me in the mail. How did they expect me to start spending when I hadn't received the card yet?

This is a small matter, but it makes me distrust anything/everything that HSBC says. I will soon be taking all of my money out of my HSBC bank accounts and I'll never have another banking relationship with them again. HSBC made a big deal when I started with them that I have a "premier relationship" and a dedicated Premier Relationship Manager at the branch. This person couldn't intervene in the dispute and get it resolved. Therefore, I suggest that the "premier relationship" is a bunch of garbage. My advice to anybody that reads this: stay away from HSBC, and don't believe any offers or come-ons they propose.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

I'm having an experience now with my HSBC Classic MasterCard, it was really alarming. On May 05, 2015, I was already home with my family then suddenly I received a message on my mobile that there is a Cash Advance made around 11pm in the evening. So I quickly checked my credit card and surprisingly it is in my possession. I was shocked because no one knows my Cash Advance pin, even my wife. So what I did is I immediately called the customer service but it was unavailable. So the next day, I called. As I spoke to one of the customer service and told her about the situation last night, she checked and said, there was attempted cash advance but it did not happen.

I want to be sure so I called them the next day and inquired then when they checked, the cash advance transaction was there with the amount!!! I immediately asked them to cancel my card and request for a new one and then I also did file for a dispute. After some time, I did receive the new credit card but I did not activated it anymore since I have not received the result of the dispute. After some months for a filed dispute, I get the results and it was valid means I have to pay that transaction.

It was hard for me because I did not make any transaction like that and so I did make an extra effort. I went to the place where the transaction happen and asked for the guards where is the physical office of the ATM machine. I went to bank's office (not an HSBC ATM machine but it is where they made the cash advance). I did talked to the bank manager and asked for screen capture or CCTV footage and she told me that HSBC should be the one making the investigation. So I was hopeless, so I went to nearest police station to file a police report but the police said that I should ask the bank (owner of ATM machine) for CCTV footage or some actual records.

So I did went to the bank but the manager said there is no CCTV on that area, and she just advice me to contact the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Consumer Affairs. On the same day, I did asked assistance to the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas consumer department but only they can do is to forward my concern to HSBC. Now I do not know what to do anymore and I do not want to pay the transaction that I did not make. If anybody could give some advice with regards to this matter and it would be very much appreciated.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

Stay away from HSBC. We are Premier members. You need a minimum of 100,000 in your bank account. We constantly get our card blocked due to the fraud department claiming suspicious activity. It was a pain to call but we did it. Finally after the 10 or 12 time, we reached our end. I called them to tell them that I am traveling so please do not put my card on hold. They said they would put a note that I am traveling. The second I leave the state, I get a call from the Fraud department about suspicious activity. It was still pending. I told them it is all legitimate. They said fine. I try and buy something and it doesn't work. Turns out they put a hold on the card? The last thing a consumer needs to worry about is if their card is working when they travel. That was it. When I get back, I am paying off my credit card and removing all accounts associated with it. There is a reason why HSBC doesn't thrive in America.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

Talk to 4 people and denied the proper rewards promised when open the account. Hours on the phone w/ customer service, bad connection, bad approach and no solution! Call again and again. The worst credit card customer service!

Original review: June 29, 2015

I have been working overseas for some time now and this is the second time HSBC has blocked my UK account as they say I had mail returned that was delivered to my UK address or so they say. The account was frozen and I only find out when I try to transfer money to pay off my credit card. So now they are winning with interest and charges as I can't pay the card! So I email them via online banking confirming my address, etc. and the account is still frozen as they say I must call them. Now this being the second time they have done this I didn't want to waste time and money on international calls. So I confirm all info via email again. 4 months later still no account access, and interest and charges being added to said credit card.

Upon asking for a direct number and email of a manager in UK they unlocked the account still refusing to refund charges and interest. Credit score now shot and interest and charges mounting up. It's criminal what these people do. I've had accounts for 20 years now in different countries, never ever missed a payment and I've even worked for them for 5 years when I actually thought they were a decent bank. They have gone way downhill. Accounts pending closure in UK. Never again with those muppets.

Original review: March 7, 2015

I have had an HSBC MasterCard for years. During this time, my card gets periodically blocked because of some "suspicious" charge, which may be as arbitrary as buying gas in a different state from which I live. I am never notified in advance; on several business trips my card has been blocked without warning. Unblocking it requires calling their "fraud department", which is basically a call center in India. This is without a doubt the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Their "customer service" representatives barely speak English, are rude and completely unhelpful. In each instance, unblocking my card has taken hours on the phone with multiple people. If you can't tell them the exact date and year when you opened your account, they tell you that they can't proceed with the call. As if anyone has that information. Each person I talk to seems to have a different set of requirements. HSBC is a perfect example of a company that has grown too big for its own good. I just applied for a new credit card with a different bank, and am looking forward to canceling this one.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

In 2006 I was offered a credit card with a $200 line of credit, but by the time they took out all the fees it left me with a balance of $59.00 to spend. I made the 1st payment and my balance was still the same. This has been 9 years ago and they have passed it from collection agency to collection agency. Now they say that I owe $595.00. I can't get in touch with them to clear this up. So they keep passing it on to another collection company and keep adding to a $200 balance. In another year I will probably owe more.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

HSBC new credit card with 8 months zero percent balance transfer from another credit card. Did not happen and after 5 very long phone calls was eventually told that I had not made such an application! Dishonest organization, do not deal with this company. I am still waiting but hold little hope. Incurred high fees and charges from my original credit company as a result of trusting HSBC. Avoid or cancel your card now.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2014

For more than 3 months I updated my contact information because I traveled away from my country (Egypt). Now I had a dispute with my credit card and every time I contact them they had no idea about my new address. Also they didn't send me a new credit card, and they overall not willing to solve my dispute because no one over the 3 months tell me what is going on with my dispute.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2014

Somebody used my credit card to make online payments to a Dubai government site for AED 2925 at 0215 am, though physically the credit card was in my possession. I went to HSBC for statement so that I could register the complaint in police station. To my surprise HSBC customer service said that they do not have the statement, as it can be generated only after the billing date. I visited the bank again, as the police refused to register the complaint without bank statement. I again had to come back from bank without the statement.

The bank dispute forum refused to investigate the matter without police complaint number. Finally I could manage the police complaint. I mailed the complaint number to HSBC dispute forum. To my surprise and anguish, no response. And at the same time they have added the amount to my credit statement. There is nobody with whom you can have a chat about dispute, it's only IVR customer service who have no clue what is going on.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2014

I purchased a Macbook back in November 2012 for $1,100 from Best Buy using their credit card because of the no-interest for 18 months. I paid down my balance every month without any problems and by December on 2013 I had a balance of $200 which I had initiated a payment towards. In December however I also made a purchase of an air purifier for $250. Little did I know that because my new purchase was not on "promotion" my $200 payment went toward that first and not toward the payment on the computer. At this point I set up automatic payments and I did the math and figured my Air purifier would be paid off around September.

Checking in however in May I was slapped with a $300 accrued interest payment against the remaining balance on my Macbook. To add to the confusion with this whole ordeal the bank handling the debt was changed at some point to Citibank and simply getting statements was a hassle. Trying to fight this with them was a waste of breath and in the end I was forced to pay this ridiculous interest charge. Their claim was that I had not paid the $1,100 for the Macbook in the 18 months they gave me; however, I according to my statements I had paid them a total $1,200 in payments by the time they charged me this exorbitant amount of interest. It honestly feels like extortion and shady lending practices. If anyone knows of any legal actions I can take I would greatly appreciated it.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

HSBC (credit card) probably has the worst service ever. They're like living in year 1920. Try to make a phone call to HSBC. You'll be like entering a labyrinth. It's so confusing. I don't know why people still using them as their choice. My message is please do not use their service.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

I Repeat...The HSBC Holdings Credit Card Services Has Now Been Deteriorating For Quite Some Time! I had filed a dispute around June 25th, 2014 for around $50.00 in U.S. Funds because the merchandise that I had bought at the airport in Buenos Aires, Argentina was NOT packed properly and/or broken and up to this date, I have yet to receive a proper response, nor an outcome from their Disputes Department for the Premier Credit Card Customers! Furthermore, when I called up their customer service phone number today, they had NO information available like usual and keep on referring me to the Disputes Department where I had initially filed my complaint in the first place!

However, today, being Friday, August, 8, 2014 at around 9:30 AM, when I called up their Customer Service Department and was then verified and Transferred over to Their Disputes Department, their male representative out in Delaware was NOT doing his job properly and he took a very long time to find my dispute and when he claimed to have found the dispute, he then went on and on about some charge made out a Restaurant and I told him that that was NOT the right one that I was talking about when I insisted that My Dispute was the Only One Charge That I Had Made Out At The Buenos Aires Airport Back On And/Or Around June 23rd 2014 and I had made that clear at the very beginning of the conversation.

Furthermore, when he supposedly found the correct charge, he then kept on nagging me about Repeating Myself about What My Dispute Was About, even though I had already provided that information weeks ago. My response to him was that Nothing has changed since I had filed that dispute, however, he had made ME very angry and upset over the games that he was playing, along with the amount of time that was wasted over the phone and so I just hung up on him.

Furthermore, I tried very hard to file a complaint over their website and they have purposely and deliberately either Removed their Online Contact Us Form and//or never had one in the first place because they do not wish to be contacted by their customers. There is also no corporate phone number to call in order to speak with somebody from their executive office, nor do they accept phone calls any longer.

To further inform you, they do not provide any email addresses or fax numbers to contact them so you are basically screwed over big time! Your only recourse of action is to either send them a letter through the United States Postal Service or sue them In court! At this point, I will consider looking for another credit card company or suing them if I have to because I do not know if my simple dispute for a very small amount of money will ever be resolved! HSBC Sucks and if anybody contacts me about them, I will give you my email and facebook and then I can tell you the truth about them.

Original review: June 11, 2014

Before I leave for vacation, I called HSBC to tell them I would be in Vacation in France, Italy for 15 days and they add a note on my card for avoid blocking. But unfortunately in 15 days, they blocked my card 4 times. My first day in Paris, I need to run on HSBC in Champs Elysee to call them and the fraud people say they see my note but they block the card anyway. I ask them on the phone to not block since I am in France, they say all right. They block the card anyway on time after on purchase for $12 in store, and it was on weekend so I need to find the way to call them. They say in 2 minutes, my card will work but they didn't unlock and need to call them again the next day and they say they forget to reset the card, then they block the card after hotel charge again.

I was upset, they are ridiculous and they have note saying I was in Europe but they push me to run everywhere on vacation to unlock my card. Also on the phone they ask me if I am really in France because they believe someone used my card in France. I say yes it's me and I was upset after they block my card for $12, they do that 4 times, it was very abusive. I feel like they do that on purpose, very bad, stay way from them when travel, they are going to block your card like game.

Original review: May 14, 2014

"Premier" Credit Card and JUSTFLOWERS.COM - I ordered flower delivery online from this horrible vendor for the past Valentine's Day using a "guaranteed service" as per the advertisement so paid a premium amount of $184.97. However, I received an email at around 7pm that day informing me that the delivery was postponed to the following day. I tried calling the merchant several times to cancel but was kept on hold on the phone for more than half an hour. I sent emails using their website but got no response. I then contacted my bank, providing all the written communication but after 3 months of snail mail exchange, I finally got the final notice saying they cannot do anything to resolve the dispute, meaning I have to pay the charge. I do not think anyone should carry such a "Premier" card in their wallet.

Original review: April 24, 2014

Purchased items on Best Buy program approximately $1,600.00. Credit line was $3,000.00. Terms 36months, no interest. Defaulted on payment, turned over to collection agency. This agency contacted me and I made payments in excess of amount charged. They want the whole credit line of $3,000, not what I charged. They have sold the note to another collection agency Sentry Credit Inc. out of Washington, 800-608-2581 (acct. **) and they are still trying to collect and adding interest to account. Wanting to know if this is legal. Did not charge $3,000.00 and interest is still being charged each month not paid.

Original review: March 13, 2014

MANY years ago after filing bankruptcy, I obtained a credit card through Orchard Bank. As the economy failed, I lost my job and fell behind on payments. This is a card that had a $300 credit limit and I am contacted by a law firm today that stated they were suing me for $3,000!?!?! How can that not be highly illegal? I would discourage ANYONE from doing business with this company.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2014

I was on vacation in Rome and just checking into the hotel Mercure. My wallet got stolen from my bag in the reception area which had my credit card, egate card, ID card plus other cards. As soon as I realized my wallet is missing, I told the receptionist and started dialing HSBC to report the loss. At the same time I got an SMS that someone has used my card and I immediately ran down to the reception and checked where was this shop. Apparently it was just around the corner and we confronted the robber and the shop as to how they accepted the card with wrong signature.

In the meanwhile I immediately called HSBC and reported the loss. The police caught the robber. Now HSBC does not want to refund the money citing that the transaction was authorized and the card was active. My question is that by the time a card is stolen and we immediately calling the bank, obviously the card will be active. Secondly why the bank did not put a stop to the transaction immediately. So what is the point of signing the card at the back, if there is no value for the authorized signature. Why did the bank not reject the transaction based on the wrong signature?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2013

When HSBC agent called me for offering signature card, they have clear mention saying "First Year Primary Member card fee" would not be applied. And they keep saying about the offers which would never happen. When first bill generated, I will fee charge and taxes. When I call customers support team, they are clueless. There is huge communication issue with HSBC team from day one. Do not trust HSBC at all. It is the worst bank and waste of time. I have to spend good quality time to explain my case to multiple customer agents to cancel my card. It is such a waste of time.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2013

I am so furious at this moment. I have spent hours waiting on the phone in the last two weeks. I asked that my card be on a temporary hold as I couldn't find it. Person said, "Ok, call back if you find it." I came home & found it. Next call, c/s said they cannot remove hold, I need a new card. Call again. Well the account was never closed & was told I would receive another card, same number because I had cut mine up. Got the card, tried to activate, was told I don't need to activate. Try to use card - will not work. Next call, told it was activated. Who the hell are these morons in customer service? I have wasted my precious time holding & holding and getting INCORRECT advice each time. I'm exhausted and FYI, I have been on this call for 59 min 22 sec. Next c/s gal named Apple said, "No, this account is closed." So now I have to wait for another new card to come in the mail. 3-5 days, they will not even overnight it. Advice: HSBC's customer service sucks, is unreliable and don't do it. Go to another bank for a credit card, which is what I will be doing.

Original review: July 26, 2013

I get a letter from HSBC about 2 weeks ago telling me that they will be raising my interest rate at the end of August because they claim they pulled my credit score and it was low and therefore they had the right based in the credit agreement to do so. So I pull my score from all three agencies because the score they claimed they were given was significantly lower than usual. Of course! The score they gave me was 200 or more points lower than what they claimed my score was from all 3 agencies!

So I call them to inquire where they got their information and scores and they proceed to put me on hold 3 times to pull a story together. When the woman comes back to the line she claims that the increase is in fact due to their own business decisions and not my credit. How can you bully people and tell them you are raising interest because of their credit in writing but then tell them it's not that at all when they call to inquire. How can I report them for misinformation?

Original review: July 17, 2013

If you are given the opportunity to create an account of any kind with HSBC-RUN! I have been a customer since the 80's and I cannot believe what has happened to this credit card company - To even put a "customer service" number on their card or website is a joke. I have just spent - and I am NOT making this up - over fifteen hours in a five day period trying to regain online access to my account - it seems that Capital One has taken over - and for good reason, the credit care portion of HSBC but HSBC - being the uninformed idiots that they are - cannot find where my account went. One group keeps telling me that Cap 1 has it and another tells me that HSBC still owns my account - Plus, there was a fraudulent charge on my account and they said they would reverse the charge as it was proven to be fraudulent but now they have again have it as pending which begs the question -WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THESE PEOPLE!

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO ACCESS MY ACCOUNT-I have the right to think that I, as a CUSTOMER in the most excellent standing - could get one stupid thing done correctly but these morons cannot do anything - I wish I had an agency to report them as I think this has to be illegal or something!I Sorry for the capitals letters but i just spent two hours and a tour around the world again on the phone and nothing has been resolved - stay away from this company - if you have a credit card with them and ever need customer support - good luck.

Original review: June 22, 2013

HSBC is a predator institution that's sole goal is to rip off American consumers, especially the middle class. The lending agenda includes incredibly high interest rates, failure to provide a detailed datasheet on an account and they have a non-functioning problematic website that does not work. All this is designed to ruin customer credit and make it so they can never pay off a loan. Congress should have made these actions illegal but so far, have done nothing. This organization needs to be brought down and their CEO locked up.

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information