2. Finance

HSBC credit card

HSBC Credit Cards
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.46/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

HSBC Credit Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC Credit Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

Applied and then read the reviews (should have read first). Called to cancel application. They said it was declined because of no proof of income. Not for lack of income, but proof, even though they didn't ask, and there was no place for attachments to the online application, nor was there an email provided. HSBC stands for Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corp. Look it up. Hope they go back to Shanghai, uh, I mean London, instead of preying on Americans. We have Republicans to do that already.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

HSBC credit card is one of the worst experiences ever, opened account. Set up alerts to make payments online thru bank, never got alert, says it takes two billing cycles to set up, Online it did not show payment due, but Philippines called for payment!! Very piss poor customer service, Do Not open an account with this bank!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I had great credit before I started my credit card account with HSBC, but after the problems with their online banking and customer service it is now a disaster.

HSBC was offering a 0% balance transfer for one year. I received a text saying I had to complete the setup of the account. I told him That I had to complete the account set up and also was not receiving bank statements. I was told by the HSBC service person I had to call directly to another department. The number they gave me was to sell products in a different company.

I tried to get through other times with the same result. I still never received a statement. I then setup my account online to make automatic payments. The next month went by and still no statement. I called them again to get help with the auto payment since the auto pay was not working. They assisted me and setup the auto pay once again. It didn't work. I attempted to call them again several times but could not get through or due to the time difference was calling at the wrong time of day.

Eventually I got through and made a large payment to cover the previous months. They then said my account had been closed. I called and complained but said my account had been turned over to collections. I have had many credit cards and bank accounts and never have I had such a problem simply to pay them what I owe. If you call them, be prepared to talk to someone in a different country like, India, Vietnam etc.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Absolute Nightmare to make a single payment. Do not get this card!!! I'm doing a balance transfer after 1 month of holding this card. They should be reported to The Better Business Bureau. They make everything impossible. You need a pin they never give you to access online payments or phone payments. Eventually you get to talk to a person and they decline your payment method because American banks treat them as a security threat. Horrible Experience.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Would give a "zero" but no choice! I called to report a fraud, after one month they never took it off my bill. They have your number and they can't call??? Now they want the police report case #'s. Ok, given. Now after 3 months the customer service in India keeps bouncing me around even when I specifically tell them the department I need and that my case only needed police report case numbers. I spent 2 hours getting bounced by reps who say they are the "Fraud Dept". Even after you hit the correct number in the automated you don't go straight to the fraud Dept. 4 hours on the phone and when I expressed how I will cut up my card then they wanted to help. They want all your personal information but they say "We are not allowed to say where you are calling". REALLY?? I even had a reference number for my Fraud and they said "we don't see any fraudulent activity on your bill". Wow!!!!

Another issue is they want to repeat the same sentences over and over; Thank you for that question, that is a good question.... (read a script)... Just answer the freaking question or pass me to someone who can!!! NEVER do I go through hours and multiple people when it's a USA based calling center. Remember! People in the USA can lose their jobs if the customers satisfaction is low and people stop doing business with them but in outsourcing they get paid whether they help you or not. Most of the time they can't help; they only answer "simple" questions like balance, due dates, etc. They kept saying I'll send you to our "fraud team" after the rep said "Yes, I am the fraud team that will be helping you"! Yes you are helping me see that I don't want this bank or this Credit card!!!

If you value your time DON"T use them!!!! There is NO USA based call center!! I asked over 82 times!! Went to the bank but they can't help with credit card issues; only payments. Hate dealing with these incompetent call centers. Will go back to the greatest card company who is US Based and answers all their calls promptly without the run around bouncing back and forth!! Life is too short to hear repeats of the same scripts!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I have had an HSBC US credit card now for 4 or so months. It has been far too long. Nothing about this company is good. They post your payment to your account, it clears your bank account and then they proceed to still keep a hold for another 10 days. Their app is no good and their customer service dept leaves something to be desired. I will NEVER do business with this company again.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Just called HSBC c/s to report two months credit card interest overcharges due to failure to adjust for US prime rate reductions. All other Banks made timely incremental adjustments for the last two prime rate adjustments (7/31/19 and 9/18/19). I explained this not only affected me but undoubtedly millions of other HSBC credit cardholders. C/S response: "Could take up to two weeks to review 'my account' for a 'potential' rate adjustment?" I explained I wasn't asking for "personal" rate reduction but a correction based on the reduced prime rate. Response: same as before!!.. Are these people stupid or merely playing stupid to bilk millions of customers millions of $$ in excess interest rate charges? Or maybe just waiting for yet another class action filing before being forced to remit obvious interest overcharges.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

This will be long, but please read so you avoid the psychiatric hospital bills this ** b.s. bank has made me incur. My head is still spinning over the twilight zone that HSBC will put you into. I received a letter from HSBC with a pre-approval. Not pre-qualifed. Pre-approved. I'm between jobs and my daughter has very expensive medical bills, not all of which are covered by insurance. She has cancer, and that $5,000 could come in handy, so I completed the identifying info requested and VOILA! I was told I would receive an email when the card was on the way.

I received my card, along with TWO ADDITIONAL LETTERS: one had an electronic banking code, and the second had a 6 digit phone access code. Together with the card, this was three separate pieces of mail from HSBC (I'll tie all this together, just be patient). I activated the card using the website address on the sticker affixed to the front of the card, and went online to change the 6 digit access code. BAM! After I changed the code, I was notified there was a security hold on my card. A card I had NEVER USED. I called the number on the card, and was transferred 3 times, after being told I needed the "fraud apps" team. FIVE ** HOURS ON THE PHONE, and by the time I got a live person, and had to answer a barrage of security questions REPEATEDLY, I was told that department is closed FOR THE WEEKEND. What legit credit card doesn't have 24/7 access and support? NONE. That's how many. NONE.

I would have forgotten the card, but as mentioned, my daughter has medical expenses, and that $5,000 was going to help. So I called again on Monday. FOUR HOURS ON THE PHONE. They sent a letter requiring identifying documentation: EITHER a passport, driver's license or ID as photo identification, a form from the social security administration to verify my social security number, and a request for a utility bill or bank statement to verify my home address. I sent a copy of my passport card. NOPE.

After another 4 hours on the phone, was told it had to be the actual passport, not the card. Sent that. NOPE. I completed the PRE-APPROVED application using my driver's license number, so they needed that, not my passport. REALLY? Your letter said I could provide a passport OR driver's license. Now you need both? Okay. Submitted that. But it has my mailing address/office on it, whereas my bank statement has my home address. So now I need to submit documentation to verify BOTH addresses - my home and my mailing address. Hey, morons. You sent me the card at my mailing address. You sent me the access code I'm using to call you to that address. If it wasn't a real address, we would not be having these (now over 20 hours) of ** conversations.

OH, and about that bank statement. The bottom right corner was cut off, so it wasn't accepted, although the address and all identifying information was perfectly clear. Guess that "page 1" makes a hell of a difference in identifying me. IDIOTS. Okay, so I submit my mobile bill as proof of my office/mailing address. NOPE. Need a utility bill. Hey morons, I don't get the utility bills at my office. I get them at home. And I already provided you with proof of that address.

In between this, the social security form was rejected because I forgot to check a box. I told them, "Go ahead and check it for me." "Nope, you have to do it." Which I did, and paid $7 for the post office to scan and re-send. GREAT NEWS! The social security form was accepted. Except then when I called back today to find out the status I found it wasn't accepted. "I don't see that in the notes here". "OH, and did you submit your driver's license?" "Yes, last week". "I don't see that here". "Oh, no wait...here's a note. I guess your social security administration form was accepted, but we still need a utility bill FROM YOUR MAILING ADDRESS." "Sir, once again, there are no utility bills for my post office box." But you did mail me the card and TWO OTHER PIECES OF MAIL to that address.

Is common sense non-existent on this planet any longer? I have bought cars worth $85,000 and had lines of credit for thousands with less issues than this ** $5000 card. SO...a few years ago HSBC was hit with fines for money laundering. In response, they implemented such ridiculous security measures you'd think you were buying a house worth millions. And who in the world feels comfortable email every piece of identifying documentation?? AND, their "fraud" team is only in India. Nothing in the US. Nothing in the UK. WTF? And they are closed on weekends. As if that isn't ridiculous enough, you can't even understand anyone who answers the phone. They just read off of their little script and have zero idea what you are talking about. Robots. Orwellian. Oh, and that is actually WHEN they answer the phone.

It has now been 2 weeks and my "active" card is not active, and I spent today and yesterday at the US Passport Agency and the Department of Motor Vehicles putting fraud alerts on my documentation. So now I have TSA issues to worry about next time I travel just for trying to protect myself from these fraudsters. Again, it was only my daughter's mounting medical bills that are not covered by insurance they kept me going back.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid this bank and anything to do with them. It's a SCAM and you will never be able to use the card, and they will take all of your personal documentation and clone your identity and ruin your credit. Report this bank and shut them down. Some terrorist could be running around with your driver's license or passport number. And since when is a driver's license a form of ID? IT'S TO DRIVE A CAR. A passport will always supercede a driver's license. I hate these people, and I'm so angry that I was stupid enough to provide this information out of desperation to save my child. WORST BANK EVER. They are not even a bank. It is a SCAM to fund terrorists. STAY AWAY. REPORT THEM!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

First time banking with this company had a great offer to transfer funds to an amazing 18 month 0% rate. As most people nowadays I use online banking. This company is pathetic as far as customer service (if you can get someone to answer) then they transfer you to another department normally overseas). I have yet to be able to login to my account, spoke to HSBC IT people (overseas). I have heard the same story from them we are working on your issue. It's been a month!!! On hold right now 30 min (after telling the same story for a month).... There is a reason why they do not have many banks in the UNITED STATES!!! As soon as possible I will end my association with HSBC.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have had this card for a couple months now. Made a couple large purchases and paid them off in full even earlier than the due date. I tried to use the card two weeks later and was denied. When I called the general Customer Service they said my account was frozen and the only Customer Service department that could answer my questions or resolve my issues work 8am- 5pm EST Mon-Fri.

I have tried contacting this department 6 times over the past several weeks (different days and times in the day) and have been on hold each time over an hour and even one time I was on hold for 2 hours. I keep trying other departments to see if they can help, even tried email and chat... with the same results... NO COMMUNICATIONS and HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. This has absolutely been the worst customer experience I have ever had. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS CARD.

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information