Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
HSBC Credit Cards
3.15/5

HSBC credit card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

HSBC Credit Cards Reviews

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I was with this credit card company for 20 years plus, never, ever did I make a late payment and I also have a credit card with First Direct (and a bank account and a savings account with a considerable sum of money in it) who are part of the same group and again never once had a late payment on my card or gone overdrawn on my bank balance. I would be considered a five star customer. Two years ago I moved home and for some reason, I don’t know how, the company didn’t have knowledge of my change of address. I contacted everybody I dealt with but somehow I missed HSBC, probably because most times you phone they are too busy to take your call. Anyway inadvertently I didn’t inform them, last September I tried to use the card and it got declined. I was travelling at the time so I didn’t contact them until November to find out why I couldn’t use my card. They informed me that it was because I had defaulted on my account.

I told them that wasn’t aware of an outstanding amount as I hadn’t received any statements and then we discovered that the statements had been sent to my old address. They had in their possession my email address and my telephone number, wouldn’t have been difficult to contact me, knowing of my history with them and my previous excellent character. They charged me an extra £100 interest, they closed the account and put a default notice against my name. When I offered to pay them, the person on the phone said there’s no point in paying as they won’t come after me for the money. I told him that I wanted to settle the account so that it wouldn’t show up on my credit score as a default. This was in May when I settled the account and yet instead of showing satisfied on my credit score it still shows up as a default. This is an absolutely disgraceful way to treat a customer. Stay away from this company... You have been warned.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Their website is with a look, feel and functionality of the late 90s. I discovered my credit card was blocked just by accident. No notifications, nothing. Tried the chat....after 10 minutes, they transfer me to "security" team. 45 minutes on hold on the phone trying to reach this "security" team. After verifications, and 5 more minutes on hold it turned out this team cannot help me. An investigator would have to "investigate suspicious activity" and will call me at some point. So far 1.5 hours of my life wasted. Purchases from Menards, Floor & Decor and Home Depot were classified by the "security team" as "suspicious activity". Nice! I don't know what these people have for breakfast but...anything from the above listed I find unacceptable. Run Run away from that card.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I got approve for one of their cards that took over 3 months to arrive at my house. The original card was sent to the incorrect address so I had it resend to me. After receiving the card I called them because I wanted to take advantage of the 18 months no interest. Well to my surprise I only had 15 months left because they counted the 3 months that I didn’t receive the card...That’s pretty crazy if you ask me. I escalate the situation & they still said that the bank made no mistake. Even though the card was sent by them to the incorrect address & the USA post office returned the card to them. Awful customer service & false advertising. I closed the account & will go with a known & reputable bank like Citibank.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I own this card almost 2 years and it came to my mind that HSBC Australia uses different math than the rest of the world. I used offer to transfer other credit card balance for 24 month for 0% per annum. It is somewhat fake unless you do not use this card at all.

Concerns:

1. Pretend that you have transfer of $4000 (for 2 years), then you spend $500 during billing period. When statement is issued you pay $250. In these circumstances you will be billed 19.99% interest for the outstanding $4250. If you want to avoid this rip-off, you pay $500 or more. Imagine if you had transferred $1000, spent $5000 during billing period and paid off $4990. Then HSBC will charge you 19.99% interest for $6000. I asked twice “are you sure?" In my scale of values, you should charge interest on $10 only…?”, however, that is what I was told by the representative on phone when I asked how they calculate.

2. Pretend that you have transfer of $4000 (for 2 years), Then you go to Harvey Norman and purchase laundry machine for $1500. Then you decide to return the product as it does not fit ion your environment. Store, of course, returns money to your credit card. HSBC though, allocated money towards $4000 that you have borrowed and at the end of billing period you MUST pay anyway $1500. Otherwise 19.99% applies to the entire outstanding amount. The transferred balance will be reduced for $1500 even if you do not want to. The representative on phone said that this is how the system calculates the statements and he (representative) could not do anything about it.

3. On top of it, every transaction with overseas merchants is accompanied by not only “Special” exchange rate (similar to cash exchange rate at airport), but also some “international transaction fee”. I was under impression that “VISA” and “PLATINUM” on to of it is designed to be used internationally to deliver convenience and assurance. Apparently not this one.

Conclusion: HSBC offer is a trap. Had I known this; I would have never, ever, ever, ever applied to HSBS. They call it “Platinum”. Recommendation: STAY AWAY!

Original review: June 27, 2019

HSBC CREDIT CARD FALSE OFFER. ABOUT THE OFFER:

- Buy 1 ticket and get 1 free with HSBC Credit Cards.
- Offer valid on BookMyShow mobile app only.

- Offer can be availed on anyday for Saturday shows.

The offer can be availed once per HSBC credit card per month. It is valid up to 31 August 2019 only. Because of this offer only I bought this card, other I could have been bought some other credit card. But it is now changed to - [Offer can be availed only on Saturday for Saturday shows.]. Just for name sake they are giving this offer. Anyhow I am going to cancel the card. Well, this is my advice - if you are saying any offer stick to it, otherwise don't provide this kind of offer. Now it’s your turn. It all depends on you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: June 7, 2019

In seeking a balance transfer card with 0% APR, I was directed to a few cards. I was not interested in having annual fees, rewards, etc. The online application process was easy, got a confirmation email, then 3 days later approval email that the card was on its way! I too had seen so many negative reviews, I was cautiously optimistic. I do not know why others have had such a bad experience, but I was able to transfer another card balance, make online purchase, and pay-at-the-pump for gas. Within the same week, I went online and paid 2 separate times to cover a purchase I made, all without incident. Customer service hold time was longish, but got detailed info and got my questions answered correctly. So far, no issues and I expect to be able to pay off that bal transfer well within the 15 months allowed w/ no interest. After that only 14.24%. Well worth my effort in getting the card. Thank you HSBC.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I wish I had reviewed these complaints before getting a card with HSBC. Everything posted about this company is true. Believe it all because if you don't you will find out the hard way. I made purchases, paid the card before the statement and they put a fraud alert on my account. Now, I can't pay the card off or close the account. Spent 3 days now with their fraudulent fraud department.

On hold for hours EVERY TIME you call. Then when you send in the required documentation they request months later, you have to sit by your phone because if you miss their call you have to start all over again. They called me yesterday and I said hello 5 times and they said nothing and then hung up. I guess they filled their requirement by "calling" me. It's a fraud and scam to charge fees and not let you make payment to avoid interest charges and then won't let you make a payment. Scam! I have two other CC's and can handle fraud issues in a matter of minutes not DAYS. This has to be illegal and surely a lawsuit can be filed against them. I'll be checking with an attorney to see what options are.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Seriously, I never ever saw such cheap company service. In 2019th they charges us for calling customer service, begger sale, at_least start charges after receiving call by service employee, but no they put you on hold too long time and charge you so company can do payments of this employees. You required 25-40 INR to ask your simple query. I request you reader please don't go with HSBC Credit Card. If already have then stop its use. It's big company. They dont require customers now.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I opened a credit card for the advertised balance transfer offer. Like other reviews on here I spent close to 15 hours of my personal time trying to get the assistance I need. I was dragged through the mud to get the access to my online account that needed 3 codes, 1 to my phone and 2 to use online including an "EBN" number that does not come in the mail with the card. When in my account to take advantage of the "advertised" offer web page gave me an error after submitting the balance transfer request.

Along the way I had to give out "all" and I mean "all" of my personal identifying information to over 22 overseas persons on the phone to which most of them hung up on me or talked in circles and then left me to a false transfer. No "manager" ever followed up or could give me a clear answer or direct me to the appropriate department. I got an ** branch manager who refused to help me - told me to go away. One of "agents" closed my account without my authorization - that took another 3 hours of calling to find out.

This has cost me personal time - incurred interest charges, cancellation of my vacation and I am unable to get a competitor's card - after opening HSBC - now I get automatically declined with a 700+ credit score. Can someone let me know if there is a class action against them for this type of false advertising? I am willing to go all the way on this - they wasted so much of my time lying to me. One smug ** called me just rub in my that "the bank doesn't have to give me anything" after I requested a record of the posted transaction that was being handled to be fixed and then all of sudden cancelled. I have received balance transfer checks in the mail - with high postage paid on the envelope - but no correspondence after 2 weeks of awaiting my "issues" to be fixed - and zero notification of account cancellation - but rather I am the cardholder of a closed account?

How in the hell are they allowed to operate on American soil and have shut down all possible means of United States based assistance for credit card accounts and then block you from using the financial account that was opened at my financial risk(s) and then deny me access to its features and services!!! What in the holy ** hell is going on? In my determination managed to reach someone in Buffalo NY who told me that to fix my situation, "You would have to get very lucky." I have filed with the FDIC, BBB and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (which is governing agency over HSBC). If you want open a claim do it through them. Anybody have resolution or legal recourse for similar issues please let me know.

Original review: May 9, 2019

HBSC is terrible. I called to check the balance of my credit card and to see if my statement had been mailed. I was placed on hold for an hour, and when I did get to speak with someone they shoved me over to what they said was the "credit card dept", which turned out to be card security. I verified who I was a via them sending me a verification code. And then they proceeded to demand that I send them a copy of my drivers license and other verifying documents. I told them there was no way I was sending them a copy of my drivers license. I had no idea how they would use that data once it was out of my control.

Again I demanded to know my balance and if the statement had been sent out, and if they could not tell me my balance then tell me if my statement had been sent. All I could get out of them is that they needed to verify the account. Now I'm pissed off and I told them if I do not see the statement they are not getting paid; I don't care if they send it to collections. Then I proceeded to say if and when I do see the statement I am going to pay the balance and close the account they just lost a customer. Be glad to be rid of these guys cause. They are terrible at customer service. They just run you in circles and offer nothing. I'll never do business with this outfit again.. BTW customer service is from 9 am to 5pm M-F ONLY. Lame.

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information