Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
HSBC Credit Cards
3.28/5

HSBC credit card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

283 HSBC Credit Cards Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 26, 2019

These people are the worst. Customer service is more than horrible. Did not speak to one person out of 6 who spoke English. I wish I would have read these reviews before applying for a 0 % balance transfer. I was told 4 different things, received a statement for 5000.00 on 4/18, called today and they say 0 balance. Balance transfer checks were cancelled, I was charged by the companies I was paying off, because HSBC cancelled the checks. None of this has made sense, they are horrible. Glad to be rid of them.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I had a security hold placed on my credit card due to my making too many payments! HSBC did nothing to contact me, no phone call, email or text saying there was an issue. I initially called and waited on hold for maybe 20 minutes and was told to call back the next day to talk to the security department. When I called I waited another 20-30 min on hold and was told to email a copy of a bill to prove my address, I emailed it multiple times and it would not go through. The phone got disconnected and I called back and was on hold for 44 minutes before I hung up. I tried calling again later and I was on hold for over 1 hr and 49 minutes without speaking to a single person! I ended up hanging up again.

I contacted the company through their chat option and their first response was for me to call the same number I had been trying, eventually, the person on the chat got ahold of someone in the department and got the hold cleared, this took approximately 30 minutes to accomplish. Now I'm being told the payment that was fully taken out of my bank 4 days ago will take several days to post to my account even though my other payments usually post the same or the next day! I am unable to use this credit card due to the ineptitude of their security and customer service department! If you never have to call for customer service or their security department this is not a bad card however if you ever have an issue make some popcorn and have a drink because you will be waiting forever!

Original review: April 16, 2019

This is the worst company to even think about getting a credit card from. They have the worst customer service and this company is a complete FRAUD AND A SCAM!!! They should be investigated for fraudulent practices. Serious ineptitude and many don't listen, don't speak properly. Most of the call centers are overseas and will transfer you multiple times and you still don't get real answers. And from what I see here they are also proned to hacking so your personal information are at risk. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM, YOU WILL BE PUTTING YOURSELF AND YOUR CREDIT AT RISK and they will not care, will not help, and cannot verify anything.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

This is the most horrible bank I have ever dealt with; and I am 72 years old so not new to this. I will not bore you with a story that is repetitive to so many of the others. I can verify that they are not exaggerating. Do yourself a favor and stay away. It‘s a nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

They have the worst customer service you can imagine. Mine was hacked soon after I started using it. It has been a nightmare. Their website is not secure, the reps give you various answers to the same problem and you will spend hour trying to get it fixed and it will not happen. The wear and tear on your nervous system is deadly in stress. Do not ever use this card. They induce people with promises of $150.00 to $300.00 credit if $2500.00 charged and paid for within the first three months. You will never see it. This group should not be allowed to do business anywhere. They sent my statements to the wrong address and I could go on forever, just do NOT use this card. Unless you hate peace of mind.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HSBC?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Do not apply for or waste your time with this credit card. You cannot sign up for online banking easily or even after 45 minutes on the phone transferring to different people and offices. Must get a PIN or telephone access code first and while that might sound simple, unfortunately it is the most difficult process I have seen so far. I am a middle aged man, have an average 800+ credit score for the last decade at least, have every major credit card in my wallet and this is the worst CC experience of my life without exaggeration. After another marathon phone call (Intl) when I was told they couldn't help me until I returned to the US, I'd had it. I am just glad I never charged anything on the card and I told them to cancel the card immediately. I WILL NEVER EVER APPLY FOR OR USE ANY HSBC PRODUCT EVER AGAIN! Future applicants be wary, this company has something significantly wrong with it. Avoid HSBC like Ebola or the bubonic plague.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I applied for this card due to the 18 month no interest. I received the card, activated it, and then the next tried to transfer balances. When I was in the online account the statement said no credit available. I attempted the live chat and got told to call customer service. I talked with customer service who told me their Verification Department needed to speak to me to verify information. Then I was told they only work from 8 am to 5 pm Monday thru Friday. How are you supposed to call them when you are at work during the same hours? I attempted to call the next morning, but was on hold for an hour and 40 minutes.

I finally hung up, called the customer service number on the card and talked with a CSR to close the account. She said she would have to call the Verification Department to get them to close the account and HOPEFULLY she could get through quicker. She came back on the phone about 15 minutes later and said the account was closed and I would be getting the letter I requested stating that in 7 business days. DO NOT deal with these people. This is definitely the worse company I have dealt with in the past 35 years of credit cards and financial dealings.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I got pre approved letter in my mail and I applied online for this credit card. After apply it didn’t tell me decision right away. It says, "Your application is being reviewed." Then after 3 days they wanted my driver license, paycheck stubs and address proof. I trusted and I emailed my documents to them. After few days I was told they couldn’t verify my identity. Are you kidding??? I emailed everything they asked me to do so. This company is a big scam. I called credit bureau and told them about it. So I won’t get identity problems in the future. I wish I wouldn’t have provided all the info to them. Oh well, we learn from our mistake. Never ever going to trust in this company again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I applied for this card online and, in the course of my application, I had to step away and the application "timed out". I started again, from scratch because there was no option to get back into the existing application. I completed the application and was quickly approved. For the next week, I have received numerous, almost threatening emails to complete my application. I tried Live Chat to have someone cancel that application and was told that had to be done by phone. Yeah... it'll expire eventually.

Today I received the card. I tried to activate it online and already started running into glitches in the site. I came here and I am relieved I haven't used it or transferred any other balances to it. I will lock it up and never use it based on the average complaints and 1 star reviews here. I will however, monitor the account to make sure nothing suspicious happens. If it does, I will promptly close the account. This entire group of reviews is downright frightening! How is this allowed to continue without any consequences to this organization? Appalling!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

This is obviously a scam. Used card once. Immediate hold put on the card. 5 days and almost 5 HOURS on hold and no live person. This is a disgrace and should be stopped. DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE CARDS. What a mess.

HSBC Credit Cards Company Information