View Rates

2. Mortgages

Concord, NC

4.0/5 (566 ratings)

About Guaranteed Rate Mortgage

Guaranteed Rate is an online and in-store mortgage lender that helps consumers find the right loan program for homebuying and refinancing. With its online mortgage option, Guaranteed Rate lets you to handle the entire mortgage process completely from your computer or smartphone.

Pros

• Completely online experience
  • Work with mortgage professionals
  • Multiple types of mortgages

Cons

• No in-store services in some states

Bottom Line

Guaranteed Rate is a mortgage company that focuses on simplifying the loan process and offers a 100% digital mortgage experience. Visit its website to apply and qualify for a mortgage that fits your needs.

Top Guaranteed Rate Mortgage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guaranteed Rate, Inc.?

Verified

Paige **, kept my nerves calm as my wife and I were trying to refinance. She was with us at the beginning and stayed in touch to the end. We are very pleased with the new rate. .....

Verified

I was clear to close in 1 week. Jay ** and his local team walked through everything. Jay waived the lender fee and I pretty much paid nothing to refi. This was the cleanest and mo...

What is Guaranteed Rate Mortgage?

Guaranteed Rate offers multiple types of mortgages, including:

• 30-year fixed-rate mortgages
  • 15-year fixed-rate mortgages
  • Adjustable-rate mortgages
  • Jumbo loans
  • FHA loans
  • VA home loans
  • Interest-only mortgages

If you’re interested in finding out more about a Guaranteed Rate mortgage or applying for its programs, visit a local branch or go to the company's website to fill out the loan application. You need the following information to apply:

• Name
  • Email address
  • Home purchase price
  • Down payment amount
  • Credit score
  • Phone number

Once you fill out the information above, you can get preapproval for a loan in as few as 15 minutes. Once preapproved, you work with certified loan officers and specialists who analyze your personal finances to help you choose the right loan.

Guaranteed Rate mortgage rates and fees

Guaranteed Rate’s mortgage interest rates and fees vary based on the type of loan and your creditworthiness. Prevailing economic factors also influence interest rates.

Guaranteed Rate has an online mortgage payment calculator that gives you a rough estimate of your monthly mortgage payments. Work with your loan officer and lending specialists to find out what interest rate you qualify for.

Guaranteed Rate mortgage FAQ

Does Guaranteed Rate sell mortgages?
Guaranteed Rate doesn’t state whether it sells its mortgages to other financial institutions. Be sure to ask your loan specialist or loan officer about the possibility of the company selling your mortgage.
Is Guaranteed Rate a mortgage broker?
No. Guaranteed Rate handles all mortgage loans in-house and does not act as an intermediary for other mortgage lenders.
Is Guaranteed Rate a good lender?
Guaranteed Rate receives good reviews from many customers. The company offers mortgages to consumers nationwide.

Is Guaranteed Rate mortgage good?

Guaranteed Rate helps consumers get mortgage loans online and in stores. A Guaranteed Rate mortgage is a good option for consumers in any state who want to complete the entire mortgage process online. Visit the company’s website to apply.

Guaranteed Rate Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guaranteed Rate Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guaranteed Rate, Inc.?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

We refinanced our condo with Guaranteed Rate in May 2021. We were give two "payment coupons" to send physical checks for the first two months of payments, before we were put into the online system (and if our mortgage was going to be sold to a third-party servicer). Disappointedly, despite both checks being cashed, our second monthly payment was NOT applied to our loan, and we had a late fee assessed and potentially improper interest accruing as well negative credit reporting to agencies. We reported the error to Guaranteed Rate, and I sent an official RESPA notice (with a copy to our loan officer who closed our refi). Our loan officer made sure the error was fixed IMMEDIATELY, which it was in less than a week. Thanks to Aimee ** in Chicago for correcting the error!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

This is a warning for anyone thinking of using Guaranteed Rate for their next home purchase. Our experience with Guaranteed Rate Affinity and Scott ** (Loan Officer) was horrendous. Dealing with our loan officer was like dealing with a used car salesman and he was quite unscrupulous. He was not a trustworthy lender. We were misguided and provided with misinformation multiple times throughout the loan process.

First there is the interest rate. Our loan officer initially provided a great rate for our pre-approval. Then once we found a home, that rate went up but as expected since interest rates slightly increased. He made it very clear to us that if rates went back down we could always renegotiate the rate around closing. Then as the closing date started to come closer and interest rates dipped considerably, I requested that we renegotiate. Scott's team was VERY slow to respond and he was constantly "working" on it. He then got back to us at the 11th hour only to tell us that he was not changing the rate and at this point we were too close to the closing to do anything about it. He purposely dragged his feet until it was too late. I have an 800+ credit score and I was receiving quotes from other lenders half a point less than what Scott was offering. This will end up costing me thousands throughout the life of my loan.

Then there is the discrepancy with closing costs. Two days to closing we were provided with the Closing Disclosure. Although we weren't happy with our rate there was nothing we could do at this point. I just wanted this nightmare to end but it unfortunately continued. The night before the closing we were provided with the final closing costs to only find that we needed to pay several thousands more than what was initially disclosed on the CD. This included large discrepancies with the Title Fees, County Taxes (forgot to include), prepaid interests and initial escrow. All which were available to Scott and his team when he sent the CD two days prior.

Scott did apologize and mentioned that he did a poor job reviewing the CD and didn't notice the discrepancies. If this was the only hiccup, maybe I could understand but it wasn't. I have to say I am extremely upset with the poor communication from Guaranteed Rate, Scott and his team throughout the process. I will never be using him or Guaranteed Rate again in the future and others should think twice before you do as well.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I refinanced with GR this year. My first payment was due May 1st and I made it in late April. The check was cashed. June 1st my mortgage was transferred. Only then did I notice they didn’t give me credit for that payment. I provided GR with back of check. It was deposited into “wrong account” at GR. For 5 weeks, I’ve waited for them to give me credit and they still haven’t. I am forced to make an extra payment with my new services until GR figures this out. They’ve had my money for 3 months. Haven’t given me credit yet. They are Crooks & Thieves.

Original review: June 18, 2021

Guarantee Rate had all of the information a month before closing. On Thursday, they told us everything was ready for our closing on Monday. Then, on Saturday night- they sent an email saying we needed to push closing a week. Thankfully the seller agreed. Then, the night before closing they let us know they could not do the loan because of information about the HOA they had a month ago! Poor communication throughout the entire process.

Original review: June 1, 2021

We refinanced with Guaranteed Rate at the end of 2020, and our loan officer, Sean was great. That…was the last of the good news. We tried to initiate bi-weekly mortgage payments as we’d done with other loan companies for years, and that was when the pain started. 5 customer service reps ("We didn’t receive your set up fee, we found it, you can’t do biweekly pmts., let me connect you with a supervisor"), and 3 supervisors later ("Your loan is being transferred", "No it’s not", "Why don’t you just add extra funds to your monthly pmt.; it’s easier") and it was still not done. Then we were told 2 months ago that our loan was being transferred to another co. but then it wasn’t, and then last week…it actually was. In fairness, a supervisor named Nina tried to help us, but by then the transfer was in process. We have never experienced such poor customer service in all our years of refinancing. So… all I can say is “buyer beware.”

Hello,

We are sorry to hear about the experience you had with us. If you haven't already done so, we would appreciate the opportunity to look into the situation you described. At your convenience, please give our Customer Success Team a call at 773-328-6467. Our toll free number is 866-934-7283, option 4.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I was matched with Chanon ** and received pre-approval pretty quickly. I went under contract on 4/17. Exactly 3 weeks later after 17 unreturned emails and several calls I finally got him on the phone. He had not ordered the appraisal and had not updated a single number on the contract. When I asked if we were going to be approved by closing in 2 weeks he said “not a chance”. When I inquired why this work had not been done his response was “take it easy- I was on vacation”. No out of office reply and the others copied didn’t respond either. I nearly lost my condo because of their total incompetence. Run far away from this company! I’m with Fairway now and they have been amazing!

Original review: May 11, 2021

I have refinance my home three different times. The third time I refinanced through Guaranteed Rate. Refinancing is always a hassle but Guaranteed Rate took it to a different level. I submitted the application in mid December and immediate got approved. I submitted all of the required documentation and the loan officer scheduled me to close within 20 days. A couple of days before closing, he rescheduled due to being busy.

He rescheduled me to sing closing docs a week later. The public notary came and I signed all of the forms. Later in the month, I noticed that my loan with the previous lender was not paid off. I contacted guaranteed rate and they told me that the underwriting department was busy and the loan did not get approved. After several emails, they rescheduled another public notary to come to my house. I signed all of the docs and the loan finally closed nearly three months later. I WILL NEVER AGAIN DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY.

- The Customer Success Team

Original review: May 5, 2021

We worked with Nick ** at the San Antonio office. We had clearly communicated our timeline, expectations and submitted all required documents from the get go. Instead of reviewing all information carefully and performing due diligence as a professional lender, Nick's team had consistently missed information that we provided. Instead, they repeated asked for the same documents over 3-4 times - this had contributed to significant delays and at this point we had blew past multiple deadlines. Meanwhile, Nick continued to falsely promise timeline that he ended up missing, and instead of showing a sense of urgency, their communication got worse.

We needed to follow up multiple times plus texts to get a one line response which did not answer our actual question. The worst part was that they always had last minute requirements which should had been discovered early on in the process if they reviewed our documents carefully. We asked for their management to step in and expedite, and so far no meaningful action from Guaranteed Rate's part. This is the worst experience we've ever had with a lender, and we cannot help but question their professionalism and competence in handling customer request.

- The Customer Success Team

Original review: April 29, 2021

I could count on this mortgage company, they did what they said they would when they said they would! Helped me make informed decisions. This company worked quickly, other companies were backed up with too much business-due to low interest rates.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Got a mortgage from them - pretty easy- Paid it off just as they were selling me to Chase. Sent Guaranteed the pay off amount. Chase says I owe $281000. Guaranteed says they sent it and it is my problem. Emailed...No answer...Called ...disconnected 4 times. Got someone on the phone and asked them to send back my money... was told they didn't have it but would look into it. Also I have to call them. They will not call me. Run away fast. This company does not care about you.

Guaranteed Rate Mortgage Company Information