Guaranteed Rate Mortgage
2.05/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Guaranteed Rate Mortgage

Concord, NC

Guaranteed Rate is one of the largest retail mortgage lenders in the United States. Headquartered in Chicago, the company has approximately 210 offices across the U.S. and Washington, D.C., and is licensed in all 50 states. Since its founding in 2000, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with home purchase loans and refinances and funded nearly $19 billion in loans in 2017 alone. The company has become the Home Purchase Experts® by introducing the world's first Digital Mortgage technology and offering low rate, low fee mortgages through an easy-to-understand process and unparalleled customer service.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

110 Guaranteed Rate Mortgage Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

I was assured by their loan expert that my Visa would be accepted. I have email record. I submitted all required documents and paid $500 appraisal fee. In the end, they told me underwriting was denied because my Visa was not accepted. If the "loan expert" could a little bit more professional, I could have avoid being pull credit for nothing and lose $500. This is so disappointing and I'm going to ask my company to remove guaranteed rate from their recommendation list and tell everyone I know not to use it.

Original review: July 18, 2019

We sold our house to a preapproved buyer with guaranteed rate on April 12, 2019. We have had 6 closing dates and now yesterday they denied the buyers loan. We sold it as is but did some of the repairs the bank wanted. Beware of this company! Gives you promises but never goes through with them. As a seller this has cost us money and now at the end of the selling market, we have to put it up for sale again! This was in Peoria, IL.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: July 17, 2019

We purchased our home 6 months ago via Guaranteed Rate. Which if you see the name run the other way...especially if it's attached to this liar/bozo (KC). I thought buying a home for the first time would be a great experience. Stressful but GREAT!! Boy was I wrong. Not only did he steal us and the loan from another agent. He promised everything and delivered nothing!! We had to send in the same documents over five different times to his so-called team. He had us move money around for payments, why I am still unsure of but super sketchy!! They constantly lost our required documents. I even started forwarding the prior emails just to make a point that the holdup was his team and the lack of communication he had with his staff. I even drove down to the office in Myrtle Beach to hand deliver the documents because I was tired of all the back and forth, he said she said garbage!!

Our mortgage CD was not even completed the day we showed up to sign with the lawyers. When they (GR) finally sent the CD over to the lawyers the day of the signing the figures didn't even match what was previously discussed. This was an ongoing issue the entire time might I add. I'm pretty sure that your mortgagee CD is supposed to be completed and ready for signature 3 days prior to the day of your signing. Our signing which I left work early for took over 3 hours to complete because of this error. While we were waiting at the lawyers office for the documents we called the agent (KC) along with lawyer to discuss the discrepancies and he (KC) then proceeded to scream and cuss at me over the phone in front of everyone in the office. Which was a total embarrassment and he is super lucky I did not hop in my car and drive to his office afterwards to discuss his lack of professionalism.

I'm still not really sure why he was yelling at me. If they all would have gotten their acts together and the communication between them would have been better none of these issues would have occurred or even been issues to begin with. It’s your responsibility to get your team and your doings in order not mine in case you missed that responsibility in your list of job requirements. The whole process was a nightmare!! I have been in touch with a lawyer since regarding all of these issues as the whole process did not sit right with me. Let's just say that what we were told and what was actually done were two totally different things. I won't go into the legalities but there are several legal issues with how our loan was handled and processed.

Normally I would not bad mouth anyone but I'm doing this solely for AWARENESS and so this does not happen to someone else. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere and do not trust this company nor the location in Myrtle Beach, SC. They only want to close the deal and take your money!! They don’t care what happens to you nor that they are potentially committing fraud. Don’t get caught up in the empty promises and lies like we did!! If I wouldn’t have wanted the house so bad, I would have left the day of signing and never looked back!!

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the experience you are having with us. We would appreciate the opportunity to look into the situation you described. At your convenience, please give our Customer Success Team a call.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: June 30, 2019

Basically I've applied through them and mentioned that their analysis for the perfect credit score (>800), combination of down payment, loan and salary is not what they promise on most websites. Rates quite worse and when I mentioned that to them in e-mail, they wrote the following: I’ll take a look at things with the human touch. ---- With loans over $700,000 I don’t believe the computer has the ability to adjust pricing accordingly. I’ll circle back to you earlier this afternoon with a loan summary. ---- Didn't got anything form them since then. So, they've made hard inquiry to my credit report, make it less 10 points less and disappear. So, would not recommend at all.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: June 25, 2019

My experience with Guaranteed Rate as a mortgage broker has been totally and consistently overshadowed by my poor experience with their Customer Service department as I have repeatedly attempted to get my address removed from their mailing list years after the last time I used their services. If you work with Guaranteed Rate, you should know that you are signing yourself up for dozens of unsolicited marketing postcards ad infinitum, and that the company does not have the decency to respect your request that they stop. I can hardly remember the experience I had with them as a mortgage processor: like clockwork, their unwanted spam reminds me never to do business with this company again.

- The Customer Success Team

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guaranteed Rate, Inc.?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: June 24, 2019

Our experience has been absolutely horrible. We got all the documents to start the process immediately. When it came to asking for money for the appraisal that was immediate as well. When they had everything things came to.a screeching halt. We are a month and a half into the process and still dont have a closing date. Every time we ask for a definite answer we get "possibly" "maybe" "were trying for" and every other generic answer you can think of. Nothing definite. The people are so condescending, rude and told my husband that I upset one of them. By demanding an answer.

They went so far as to contact my insurance company and have them list them as the mortgagee even though we are not through with the refinance. They said they were "verifying" insurance and that it was standard practice even though we provided them with all the insurance documents weeks ago. They treat you like you are a moron and continue to talk over you. Great customer service is a joke. No one EVER follows through with anything. You are not a priority. If it weren't for the money already spent and what they would try to get from us I would go elsewhere.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: June 18, 2019

My experience with Guaranteed Rate Affinity was nothing short of ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!! Buyers beware of the recommendations from realtor affiliates that this company gives solid preapprovals. In my search for a home I was pre approved with another lender (Veteran's United) for my desired purchase price. After connecting with my realtor, Guaranteed Rate Affinity was recommended as an affiliated and reputable lender that gave solid preapprovals because most of the legwork was completed and met criteria short of underwriting when preapprovals are given. I was also advised that this lender had lower fees and a preapproval had never been denied because of their strong preapproval practices.

I abandoned my previous preapproval and connected with Tanya at Guaranteed Rate Affinity in Atlanta Ga. Once a home was found, offer submitted and contract signed I was asked to pay appraisal fee and application fee as my file was being submitted to underwriting. I expressed my concern of paying for appraisal and app fee before a true approval and once again I was told that the preapproval was very strong and my worries fell on deaf ears. I paid $385 for an inspection, and $610 for the appraisal and application fee. 2 days later Tanya the loan officer calls and informs me that underwriting sent my file back regarding my dept to income ratio. She suggested that I pay off a balance of 9K to reduce the dti. I was appalled and it was extremely disheartening that after requesting appraisal and other fees I was now basically being DENIED for DTI which should have been confirmed before sending to underwriting.

In my previous home searches, other mortgage companies were thorough in my meeting the dti before submitting to underwriting and informed me of whether I met before requesting fees. Now I am out of $985 that I should not have paid if the preapproval process was as thorough and solid as advertised. I requested a refund but of course that have fell on deaf ears as well as I am still out of my hard earned money that could have went to a more reputable, thorough company. BUYERS BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY. DO not pay your money for an appraisal and inspection with this company as your lender. THEY DO NOT GIVE SOLID PREAPPROVALS!! SINCERELY, A TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED BUYER AND SCAMMED BUYER.

- The Customer Success Team

Original review: June 5, 2019

Have been dealing with guaranteed rate for the past 6 months. Never again going with them. We thought this company was convenient and good at first but all it has been is a nightmare. They do not care about getting you the lowest possible percentage, we had to tell our loan officer that we were shopping for a new loan due to them being 1.25% higher than the current market rates, and they get pissed when you do that, like a heart broken teenager. Our real estate agent during this process, had to TWICE message them about the market rates dropping again and about getting us an even lower percentage rate.

Also they do not send all the required documents on time to you. So make sure you call Chuck because we had 3 documents that were never sent with a month to go, so closing would have been held up. They also tell you that they will get back to you later in the day and never do. You have to blow up their phones and annoy the crap out of them to get them to do their jobs.... Michelle especially!!!! Next home we will DEFINITELY NOT be going with this company and steering people away from them.

Resolution response: June 5, 2019

I cant fault the team for the underwriters or audits and would take down my previous post if I could. I think I'm just one of those people if something bad is going to happen it's going to happen to me.i def will be celebrating soon and have keys in hand once that occurs all will be ok .things happen and I respect that now and appreciate everyone's hard work to make my dream come true..

Original review: June 1, 2019

Started loan online on April 12 2019. I had my credit pulled and assured things looked good. Close date May 17th. Uploaded everything they needed on their to do list day 1. Conditional approval comes house isn't FHA compliant. Ok we fix it. Really not ours to fix since seller listed it as FHA compliant but did it anyways so could speed this along and close on time. 2nd speed bump I got a unsecured personal loan few months before applying for mtg. Didnt think anything of it but they saw the deposit and asked. I advised husband makes the payment on it but in my name and therefore they asked for the docs on the loan. I sent them immediately this in 1 week.

Before orig close I was assured by my processor dti etc still good. No worries..received closing disclosure to sign. Thought was fine, wrong. 3 days before closing I was told they hadnt put my file through their UW system yes 3 days before closing after signing my final closing disclosure. They informed my DTI is too high and I MUST have 2 months mtg payments in reserves in my account in order to close. Ok. Got a gift. Went through all the patriot bull having to prove my gift provider isnt a drug dealer or whatever but got it done same day..file goes back to UW and my mtg team went "silent". Not a word closing day 1 comes and goes no one told me the process despite asking numerous times.Then on a Monday again told everything looks good. No worries. Still in underwriting. Ok. Should close that Wed. Great. UW comes back saying they see loan is an unsecured loan. Wth.

Yes I sent you the disclosure showing it's unsecured but that we still look good just gonna have to pay off a few small cards at closing to get my dti down. Goes back to UW all the while I'm having to call the vp text and email my mtg team and the attitude I got was like I was just supposed to know UW has 3 days to review. No sense of urgency whatsoever. Closing date 2 missed. Cancelled my utility move for 2nd time. 3rd date given. We will make it. We are doing everything we can but no accountability at all from the people who since day 1 knew UW takes 3 days to review but didnt tell me 'til after my 2nd closing of this.

They knew I had an unsecured loan because I sent the docs to them weeks before orig closing and I'm sure they knew they should put a file through the UW system period before they sent a final CD for me to sign but no, no apologies. Only email stating they have kept me up to date every day sometimes which was a lie. So 3rd closing date approaching UW comes back cant use any funds from loan for the home. No problem. Here is proof I've gotten paid, gotten gift and paying bills. Boom I did it in ten minutes showing proof loan was gone. All money for closing including the 2 mtg payments are from my wages. Took them 2 days to do same thing I did in minutes and still big NO even though within time frame of starting loan. I had almost 9k in wages and verifiable gift I cant use like 1500 in my acct because trying to say it's from the loan complete bull but ok. What now.

1 day before 3rd closing required to pay off 5 credit cards. 1500 total and I will do it "if I want to close they will not go back to the UW w/ my proof I just paid another 1k in bills out of the loan. I had already provided proof that the entire loan was already gone" so I paid the 5 cards off and now I'm waiting for the 4th and hopefully final closing date. Zero stars is my rating but I just need to get this done.

I'm not a high risk. I've just been screwed. Had a garnishment coming out of my wages for 6 months for a debt that cant even be verified as mine from 10 years ago. This garnishment will be gone before I even get to make my first mtg payment. Got screwed by wells Fargo on my first home during the crash of 2008 and I let my 1st house go..not even showing as a foreclosure on my credit but the most heartbreaking experience of my life because I bought that house in in my early 20s and I wasn't given any opportunity to save it despite having 100k in equity in the home. I went through great depression because of that but paid all my bills on time including 2 car payments. Kept my credit up. Not perfect. I like to shop so balances are high but not horrible because I'm smart and human and would never put my family through what I went through w/ Wells Fargo and losing our home being forced to rent paying other peoples mortgages for 7 years.

GR has really stressed me and my family out because to them I seem to be just a number and not a very high one either because the house is under 100k. I would've been happy with an apology and a sense of urgency been given to my file after the 1st missed closing date mishap. Now it's just too late. I'm lucky the sellers are understanding and my realtor has done her best but feel that GR could've reduced their fees given a credit. I dont know but I'm really not happy and would never recommend this lender to anyone who has ever had any struggles w/ mortgage lenders in the past. You will surely feel played again.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Unlike other posted reviews my experience with Guaranteed Rate, Inc was positive. Mike ** was my loan officer. He was always very prompt, courteous and professional; REALLY knows the business! Cathy was the person who handled the final documents/verifications and she was amazing. I actually looked forward to talking with her! With the exception of 2 small issues (mistakes made by staff who is no longer there) my the process from start to finish was so much smoother than I would have ever imagined. I am a widow and this was my first home purchase on my own. I felt respected and in good hands.

Guaranteed Rate Mortgage response

We are delighted to read about your positve experience with us! We hope to work with you in the future, should you decide to look into your mortgage options again. Thank you for the review and thank you for choosing Guaranteed Rate!

Original review: April 30, 2019

It's hard to describe our experience other than we understand why people "go postal" when dealing with lenders. Our home sold in one day in late Feb. 2019. We received an email letter from Guaranteed Rate stating that our buyers were pre-approved for the purchase loan. My wife and I jumped through all required hoops and all agreed on a closing date of 29 April 2019 at 11 AM.

We sat in the closing office for five hours waiting for the wire transfer so we could close on our new home. The funds transfer never happened due to the inefficiency of GR. GR had the wiring instructions for one month and did nothing until 24 April. They had a third party that was supposed to "vet" the attorney that was to receive the wired funds. They had to "vet" a third generation legal firm that is owned by a sixth generation area family. Now we are on our second day of waiting and nothing is happening. My wife is a basketcase and I'm missing my kidney dialysis because of GR. Do not use this company.

- The Customer Success Team

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My wife and I started looking to purchase a home early in September of this year. My wife has known someone with Coldwell Banker for over 3 years and trusted this person to be our realtor for this transaction. She met with her in person and explained that since we were both in school full time and that I work full time and we are raising our family still that a low down payment option would be best. She recommended, from her brokerage office, Cathy ** with Guaranteed Rate Affinity. She said that she would know more about the GSFA Grant for a low down payment option for us instead of the initial USDA Loan we were interested in. We were so happy to move forward on September 26th to finding the home of our dreams with this team.

We also consulted with a couple of other lenders simultaneously but they both said they would need more than 3% down and the other lenders were not knowledgeable of the grant that Cathy talked us into. We moved forward with applying for a loan online through the website Cathy sent us to. We uploaded all our documents. There was 1 new line of credit loan that we had applied for with Wells Fargo 1 week prior to applying with Guaranteed Rate Affinity. We made sure to mention to Cathy that we had this line and make sure this was not a problem with Cathy in moving forward in purchasing our home and in the price she stated we were qualified for. She assured us that there was no problem with this. With Cathy ** sending us a Loan Summarization form by email shortly after with our total closing being around $3000, we were very happy they had lower fees than the other two lenders.

We were told to pay off some of our debts which totaled $5800 (stated on our loan summarization form) prior to closing We moved forward with looking at homes in the price range that Cathy said we were pre approved and prequalified for. This was $230,000. We found the home of our dreams after 2 weeks of searching. We put down our earnest money and started the process of the loan which included paying down the debts requested prior to closing (per the request of Cathy to pay outside of escrow). It took a total of 3 weeks for an appraisal to be completed which was promised to be completed within 10 days due to Cathy being out of town. This should have been our first sign with Guaranteed Rate Affinity and their false promises. At this time, we requested a manager or other person we can contact if we had problems or questions and she stated she does not have a manager.

We paid a total of $400 for appraisal and $200 for a rush fee along with the initial application fee of $150 immediately upon moving forward with the loan process. When the appraisal was ordered we received our first Lending Estimate. It had a fee of $25,222 as the cash to close. We were in shock, we emailed and called along with texted Cathy ** to ask about the extremely high fees that were over triple and some quadruple the costs sent over to us in the initial Loan Summarization Form back in early October. We were told repeatedly that these are just estimates and not to worry that the fees will be fixed and adjusted back to the original loan summarization form but it may have to be switched to 5% down instead but we were told not to worry because we have the grant to cover it and that to leave her be and let her do her job.

December 13th, we were told by Cathy ** that she is not able to clear the flags on her screen for the loan in order to finish up for the closing of this loan, which was set for the 21st of December. This was brand new information and we had no idea what this meant. We called and emailed for 2 straight days including texts of what does this mean with no reply back from Cathy **. We were told by Cathy to leave her alone that she is trying to figure it out and to not contact her and that she will get back to us. You could imagine the frustration at this point of shelling out all this money and being 1 week to the scheduled closing that we could not get answers regarding our loan process. Each and every time we were asked to provide information on our part, we were very prompt in providing it. Many times we provided back the information within minutes! So for us to receive way less than respectable service back was frustrating.

We needed answers and we needed them now. This is where we called around to find out if there was someone higher up in charge than Cathy. We reached Curt **. He was very prompt to answer and called another manager named David **. He asked David if he is able to take care of this and he said he had no problem. He took over the loan process December 15th. He assured us left and right that he can handle this. He stated the loan scored just fine and isn’t sure why there were issues on the loan. He stated that he has access to underwriting directly along with ways to get this approved for us and not to worry. We were sent a second “corrected” lending estimate of over $10,000 for our cash to close on closing morning which did not include our down payment on the day we were supposed to close.

He stated that he needs to remove the grant to get this loan closed but that he could do it to close the loan. He told us to let him do his job and he will close this loan for us. Friday the 21st, closing day, we get a call from Curt ** stating that they can’t do the loan for us unless we put 5% down and pay full closing costs on top of this. He stated that for him to do this, he will need more time to close. This was the same as the other lenders. We feel we were bait and switched by Guaranteed Rate along with they intentionally allowed the clock to run out so we could not use another lender. Each time we brought up our loan process we were told it is being worked on when in reality it was not. In the end we are left with lost time and money to now re-coup along with no home for our family to live in because of this referral. Sincerely, Very Disappointed and Frustrated

Hi Matthew,

The Customer Success Manager replied to the email you sent in yesterday afternoon. We are looking into this situation and will be in contact with you.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

This is a terrible company. Leslie ** is incredibly rude. She hangs up on insurance agents and clients. She doesn't have the time of day to give to the clients and their respective needs. When someone is financing a new home purchase they should feel respected and cared for, not be hung up on because she has another call on hold. At the very least she could offer to make an appointment or schedule a callback.

First-time home buyers beware! ANY-time home buyers beware! Stay away from Leslie ** and her team. Some people forget that we are all on the same playing field regardless of how much money we make and everyone deserves decency and respect. Very sad experience. Maybe others in this mortgage lender company are kind, but she is not. Very cold. Very unfriendly. It would do her well to take a class in customer service, etiquette, empathy, and respect

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the experience you had with us. We would appreciate the opportunity to look into the situation you described. At your convenience, please give our Customer Success Team a call.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

3 years ago when I was looking to move an buy my current condo, GR was the first place I went to. Spent a couple weeks doing all the paperwork, due diligence, etc. Then on Thurs (I was closing the upcoming Monday) they said there was a glitch/mistake and I needed a co-signer because after all that, it was 4 days before closing they said I wasn't eligible for a loan. So luckily my dad was able to co-sign without a problem. Then Friday GR calls back and says I need more assets and dollars.

Here's the kicker... The condo cost $411k, I had +$1.5mil in liquid assets, 50% being cash. Then I was told to add a co-signer which increased my assets to ~$2.5mil. Friday they come back and said I need to have more! Really!?! for a $410k condo. I went all the way up to 75% down payment, they said I need to show +$3mil in liquid assets. What's the point of a mortgage. So the following Monday I came in with cash. Sucked I couldn't get a mortgage so as to use leverage for other business investments. Loved how they waited throughout whole process up until the Friday before a Monday closing to say I needed +$3mil in liquid assets to purchase a $410k condo. Thanks GR! Will never do business with GR again, and adamantly tell people to avoid them at all costs. Not worth the hassle. Much better lenders out there that won't jerk you around.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with us a few years ago. We would appreciate the opportunity to look into this situation further. At your convenience, please give our Customer Success Team a call.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We had an awful experience at Guaranteed Rate. Their Agent, Andrew ** was as lousy as they come. He was not straightforward from the very beginning, was not helpful and failed to deliver in a timely manner. We told him that we did not want points and he arbitrarily added a point (over $2,000) charge to our estimate and didn't even bother telling us about it. We then went thru a few weeks of back and forth emails and phone calls and he kept promising to fix his mistake but never did. Finally, we had to get his manager Shaunt involved to resolve this issue. Andrew then promised us it was fixed.

At this point, we already realized he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and emailed his co-worker to confirm the problem was fixed only to find out it wasn't. Our lawyer also reported a similar experience of this guy being unresponsive and failing to deliver on time. Overall, dealing with Andrew and having to fix the problems he created was a frustrating experience. We will give credit to his manager, Shaunt who was apologetic when we spoke to him and helped clean up Andrew's mess.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with us. We would appreciate the opportunity to look into this situation further. At your convenience, please give our Customer Success Team a call.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I just closed my second residential loan with Guaranteed Rate. I was recommended to a specific broker team by someone whom I trust very much & I was not let down. In both cases I was clear to close early. I’m someone who submits all docs ASAP and consistently updates stubs and statements as they come in, so maybe that helped. Personally, I work in commercial lending at another bank, so I know that underwriting is a crucial process where the borrower and lender have to be an efficient team that communicates well. It takes both sides to get the deal done, so the more proactive you can be as a borrower, the better off you’ll likely be. Build a strong relationship with your underwriters and your originator, because it helps - especially down the road when the loan has closed and you need help from someone for whatever reason.

Now, the most recent loan was actually kept with GR, who is now the loan servicer. First time I’ve had them as a servicer. Our loan is a joint account and my other half keyed in his checking account number wrong for autopay. We weren’t notified by the system AT ALL that the payment was rejected. I didn’t know until I got an email saying the payment was late. So, I have an email for autodraft set up, an email for autodraft payment initiated, then 10 days later an email notifying me that no payment has been made. Soooo... the system seems to have the ability to generate emails - why no email for a rejected payment? So, the late payment email came after our grace period and now we have a fee, a stained borrowing relationship and potentially a ding on our credit reports.

Shame on us for keying in the info wrong, but why no notification that the payment failed?! Even the online payment system didn’t show anything rejected or have an alert - it just said next autodraft in X days. I called in to the number on the missed payment email and was treated like an animal. Like I am the scum of the earth, a delinquent borrower.

You see, this issue could have been easily corrected if I had proper notification via an email, phone call, or alert when I log in. I didn’t have a fair opportunity to fix my mistake. The CSR told me they can’t call about rejected payments (huh?) and that I can’t set up alerts. Feels like dirty business to me. She told me she’d apply my one time fee waiver. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Why should I use my only fee waiver for something that could have been prevented by normal and reasonable customer service. Then I remembered - my originator & our relationship.

Sent him an email detailing the issue & he waived the fee no questions, I still have my one time fee waiver, and most important - I got an apology. The only reason I’m not spending thousands to refinance to get out of GR is because of my amazing relationship with my originator. He is my only contact going forward as far as I’m concerned. So, make sure you build a relationship with your loan officers/originators. They know what customer service is & will take care of you.

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the experience you had with our Servicing Department, but we are so glad to hear that you have such a great working relationship with your originator! We would appreciate the opportunity to look into the situation you described. At your convenience, please give our Customer Success Team a call.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Currently working with this company. I also advise RUN the other way if you are considering this company. We have had nothing but problems. We began with them in JUNE 2018, it is December 10, 2018 and still do not have a new closing date. We found a home, put in an offer, were set to close Oct 29, 2018 originally. Been charged hundreds in rate lock fees and I'm sure there will be more because we are still waiting on them. I could go on forever, really. There are a million things they don't care to do in a timely manner.

They have completely RUINED the experience of buying our first home. I've had to cancel a family vacation, paying utilities in a home we can't even live in because we don't want the pipes to freeze before we move in. Every person I've explained the constant headaches to tell me how sorry they are for me. It's just downright embarrassing at this point. I trusted them to help us, new, first time homebuyers, and have been let down time and time again.

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the experience you had with us. We would appreciate the opportunity to look into the situation you described. At your convenience, please give our Customer Success Team a call at: 773-328-6467.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Can never get Amber ** or her team by phone or email. After 3 weeks with our documents requested more at the 11th hour when the due date for underwriting in our contract was about to pass, did not close on time.

Hi Steven,

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Regarding Guaranteed Rate as a mortgage broker, I am extremely disappointed. I strongly advise that you run -- don’t walk -- run away from Guaranteed Rate as quickly as you can before you get taken as we were. The name of their company means nothing, as they will quote you one rate at the start, and then find some reason, no matter how skimpy, to eventually get you a higher rate. They find any way they can to slow the process down so that you can’t close within the time that the rate lock is in place, then tell you that the “underwriters” won't lend at the lower rate. Or they’ll tell you (after you have already invested considerable money in fees) that your home doesn’t qualify at the lower rate because of its construction method, even though they knew at the outset which home you were purchasing.

Then, as they did in our case, find that they made a “mistake” and have to withdraw the loan, even after everything was approved, and re-originate the loan. Then you have to sign more documents, produce more statements, and take yet another hit on your FICO score because they initiate another hard inquiry into your credit. Then they have the unmitigated gall to make you sign another form explaining why there was another credit inquiry. They told us the fee for the appraisal would be $550.00, and they had to have that up front (not charged at closing) which we paid, then charged us another $350.00 for the appraisal fee again, without explanation. It wasn’t until I asked why we were being charged twice that they told me “that’s what the appraiser charges”. Did they not know this beforehand? And then the $900.00 charge for the appraisal was included on our fees at closing, so we’d essentially be paying it twice.

I caught them on it, and they told me I’d get a credit for the $900.00. That is just BS as far as I’m concerned. And really… $900.00 for an appraisal? Appraisals don’t take more than 30-40 minutes usually, and a little bit of paperwork on a standardized form. $900.00 is excessive by any standards I’ve heard of, after talking with numerous people involved in real estate procedures. Perhaps Guaranteed Rate should find new appraisers if that is the norm for them.

The interest rate eventually went up .75% higher than what we were quoted originally, and by this time we had almost $1300.00 invested in non-refundable charges (that includes the ridiculous appraisal fee), and if we backed out we’d lose all that, and possibly the house too, and have to start all over. Guaranteed Rate knows this, of course, and takes advantage of us because of it. So I would NOT recommend Guaranteed Rate for anyone. Please stay away from this company any way you can! You would be better off going directly to the lending company and skipping the mortgage broker altogether if this is the way they work.

Hi Joseph,

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

On October 10th 2018 I received an email from Guaranteed Rate saying our loan will be transferred to a new company November 1st 2018. It listed the name of the company and stated if November payment was made they would transfer it with loan if not mail it to the new company which was listed along with the address. On October 17th I wrote a check and sent it out to new company. After several weeks the check was not cashed, so I called new company. I was then informed that they had no record of me, my loan or check. I was then told that once loan is uploaded they would apply the payment then.

Now I'm being told loan was not transferred until November 16th. Now they cannot find the check and to stop payment on it and issue a new one or make payment online. So now I have stopped payment which cost me $30 dollars, and feel Guaranteed Rate should reimburse me for it as the direction in their initial email was incorrect. I have purchased several homes and have never experienced such a nightmare transition. Current lender said they should of stated not to send payment until loan transfer was complete and in system. But again all it said was if November payment has not been made to send it to new company.

They had no way of applying payment as Guaranteed Rate did not transfer until November 16th. I did try to locate email that was sent and called Guaranteed Rate to discuss issue and request copy of email. And was told they could not locate it and it must of said December 1st (felt like I was being called a liar). I was able to locate the email and it clearly states November 1st. The email also states I will receive additional info from them and a welcome letter from the new company. I still have received nothing from either of them. Stay Away from Guaranteed Rate!

Hi Louis,

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

So I wrote a bad review about Guaranteed rate a few months ago and they responded back to it and wasted my time yet again. I talked to someone from there for several days and nobody ever called me back from the state I was in like they claimed. I honestly think they are discriminating against me because I am disabled and keep giving me the runaround to make it seem like they are doing something when in fact they don't want to.

Hello Reese,

We are sorry to hear about the experience you've had with us. We would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you further regarding your experience. Please call into our Customer Success Department at: 773-328-6467 at your earliest convenience and ask for either Cassandra or Erika.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We were commended to them by our realtor. The communication was terrible. Our closing was a nightmare and we could have lost the house. We had to pay out thousands of dollars in arrangements with sellers for endless delayed in closing - which could and should have been anticipated. Our agent simply vanished and we never heard from him in spite of promises to the contrary. When we brought this to management they offered all kinds of help and sympathy and actually did nothing. After weeks of inaction their customer team offered us $500. Our actual costs were closer to $5,000 and enormous stress to our family. They seem to be interested in volume of business and churning - and to care nothing for the wellbeing of their clients. This applies to local agent and three levels of management. We will be pursuing this in the press and with regulatory authorities. We believe that they were negligent in their fiduciary responsibilities.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Guaranteed Rate initially quickly approved us for a refinancing through a government guaranteed loan. However, later they informed us that they had made an error and we were later told we didn't qualify for. Was then approved and provided requested documents, and signed disclosures for deal they had allegedly brokered. We paid for and got appraisal, thinking the deal was done.and then heard nothing from Guaranteed Rate for weeks. After contacting them, were told closing was imminent only to discover that in actuality the loan hadn't even been processed. Over the next few months we spoke to numerous people at the company to no avail. It was always much the same story, they were ready to close just waiting on the lender, only to find out that the lender (Bank of California) hadn't even started underwriting the loan.

Finally after everything had processed, what started as a simple refinancing became anything but simple. 90 days had passed due to Guaranteed Rate in about to process the loan, and the loan had changed to the point where the terms and conditions were unacceptable. I would not recommend Guaranteed Rate, there are too many mortgage bankers, wholesale lenders, mortgage brokers, credit unions, and banks out there, that will deal with you in an open, honest, and execute your mortgage properly, than to deal with a larger yet ineffective company like Guaranteed Rate. My advice is this, if you do try Guaranteed Rate because they are cheap, remember to go to another option the second they don't execute on what they've promised. Be careful, they approved us quickly but didn't execute. They might be fine on easy government guaranteed loans, but my experience with them is that they will approve you, but not execute properly after the approval.

Hi Michael,

We are sorry to hear about the experience you've had with us. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience. Please give our Customer Success Department a call at your convenience at: 773-328-6467.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I was buying a home with a special program. I asked no less than 6 times verbally and written and each time the agent Brian ** told me yes they accept the program. I went over the program. The price of the house was verified. Got down to the last days before underwriting and he finally says, “You misrepresented the program and we don’t accept that.” When I showed him the exact emails that matched everything he was saying they don’t do and where he said they do it he claims he was confused by my wording. When I showed him where he explained the program he said, "Well... we can’t help you." My deal almost fell through. Luckily I had a back up mortgager who the entire time was sure they didn’t take the program which is the only reason I asked so many times. I reported his behavior to superiors with proof and they said they would handle it. Come to find out nothing happened as he is sending me marketing materials.

Hello Alexandria,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear about the experience you've had with us. We would appreciate the opportunity to look into the situation you described. At your convenience, please give our Customer Success Team a call at: 773-328-6467.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I mortgaged my vacation home in Ocean City, New Jersey through Guaranteed Rate. Initially the process went very smoothly. One month after making settlement they sold my mortgage to a company called CMC. They have since changed their name to SLS. The company has an "F" rating with the Better Business Bureau. You cannot pay your mortgage online but instead they ask you to wire them the money through Western Union. They have charged me for insurance through them even though I am fully insured.

After investigating I found that they deal mostly with mortgages in default and are essentially a collection agency. I have perfect credit and could have gotten a mortgage anywhere. There is no one who knows anything when you call their office. I deal with an issue every other month that needs to be addressed and no one can help me. I cannot understand why Guaranteed Rate would do business with a company of such little quality. I blame all of this on Guaranteed Rate because they willingly sold my mortgage to this incompetent company.

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! We are sorry to hear about the poor experience you've had with the company servicing your mortgage. Please give our Customer Success team a call at:773-328-6467 or the Servicing Department at: 800-263-4159 directly to see if there is any way that we can assist.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

We recently sold our small condo for our first ever dream home. A actual home that is large enough for us to be a foster family and keep custody of our legal guardian son. As it goes they selling of our condo was delayed a month and we needed that money from the sale as an down payment for the house. Guaranteed rate PROMISED us in numerous phone discussions that we would recast the loan and not have to pay the inflated mortgage payment we were given until the condo’s escrow closed.

After closing of both homes guaranteed rate sent us a letter once again ASSURING the recasting of the loan and providing a wire number to use to send the monies from the condo sale to. Once we wired them over 200,000$ they called to say they would NOT recast the loan as promised. Now they took our money and we face to lose almost 10,000$ with the inflated mortgage. We can not afford this mortgage payment as it is above what we make monthly. It is putting our family in jeopardy as we watch our money disappear. We now face possibly selling our home because we can not afford this loan. Guaranteed rate lied and after we gave them 200,000$ refused to provide the service they stated they would. Stay far away - not a good company at all in my opinion.

Hi Kaitlin,

We are sorry for the experience you've had. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience. At your convenience, please call our Customer Success Department at: 773-328-6467.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: July 19, 2018

I wish I had known this company was this big before working with them. My agent was recommended by my realtor who said they specialized in home renovation loans and that was all they did. They sounded like a small company which I felt comfortable dealing with. Since I needed a home renovation loan and the seller wanted a 60 day closing it seemed like a good option. So I swapped to this company from another one and I am greatly regretting said decision. I have to close in 10 days or I lose my good faith deposit. I had all my stuff submitted within the first 3 weeks on a 60 day closing and was told repeatedly that it would only take 45 days for this loan. Now I am going to lose my deposit and probably the house and no one at this company can even be bothered to respond to me.

I had submitted all my paperwork and was told they could order the appraisal immediately after that. After being given the runaround for 2 weeks after that (5 weeks in) it was finally ordered. I was nervous but told it should only take 9 days and we had plenty of time to close. I found out 7 days later (6 weeks in) from the SELLER that the appraiser had asked what kind of appraisal they needed (because they didn’t tell him) and that they had never responded and he had put the appraisal on hold.

I contacted my processor and was given the run around for 2 days before they finally responded that they had answered his questions and I was promised that the appraisal would still come in on the same day. That day came and I found out that my processor (the same one who hadn't bothered to answer questions for 9 days) was on vacation for the next 4 days! I contacted her boss who told me the appraisal had also been delayed for 4 days (big surprise). At that point it was going to be down the wire but still potentially salvageable.

Yesterday was the day they claimed the appraisal was due (would be week 7). I emailed and got no response. At this point I was sick and tired of this and called the appraiser directly. I found out that at the earliest the appraisal would come in 5 days before I had to close. I knew at that point I would lose my good faith deposit as it was part of the contract that I forfeit it at 60 days if I hadn't closed. I only agreed to this term from the seller because I was assured repeatedly that this would close in 45 days. I did everything, turned in every form, had all my contractors do all their stuff. Repeatedly asked if there was anything else I needed to do. I spoke to my appraiser again today and it came out that after waiting 9 days for answers from my processor she had told him all the wrong answers! He is now totally confused as to what he is supposed to be doing and requested to speak to my mortgage company directly to clear it up.

He is also talking about handing off this appraisal to someone else because he is more than frustrated. There is now 0 chance of my loan closing on time. I am losing my good faith deposit because of just complete ineptitude. There was MORE than enough time for this all to go through just fine if the processor had just answered the questions in a reasonable time and correctly. If the appraiser passes this off to someone else it resets the appraisal time to another 10 days and the seller has made it clear if I don't close on or near the 28th that they will completely back out, at which point I am out the inspectors fees I paid, the appraisal fees I paid, and my good faith deposit.

I don't even know how this company makes any money if they never close any loans! To top it all off despite the fact that this whole thing is on the verge of collapse. No one is responding to me, I haven't even been slightly rude to anyone or complained. I have done my best to not harass them and only emailed when things were due to see if they arrived. But now the appraiser NEEDS TO TALK TO THEM and even though they have said they will speak to him, they have not, and they won't respond to me when I ask if they contacted him and if it's been resolved. Don't use this company, ever.

Hi Whitney,

Please give our Customer Success Department a call at: 773-328-6467. I would appreciate the opportunity to look into the situation described below to help close your loan!

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: July 14, 2018

Guaranteed rate is a waste of time. Why have me pay nearly $1500 of my debt just to say I can't be approved? Shouldn't they have told me this before I wasted my time and money? I told them what price range I was looking at and I need a loan on the smaller side. They knew this before I even proceeded with the requirements for loan approval. They knew how much income I made and everything but to drag me through this and then tell me I can't be approved. They should've known if I was going to be approved or not before doing all of this. That is the problem here!

My credit score has dropped WASTING MY TIME with these stupid people. They are unprofessional and don't seem to know wtf they are doing. It took nearly a week for a decision after a few months on improving my debt because every time I talked to someone there was always some excuse such as their system wasn't working blah blah blah. If you need a smaller loan do not waste your time with them go to a local bank. I was pre approved somewhere else within the same day. It just went so easy.

Hi Reese,

We are sorry to hear about the experience you had with us. We would like to look into the situation further, but we need a little bit more information to do so. At your convenience, please call our Customer Success Department at: 773-328-6467.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: July 13, 2018

The closing was not clearly explained. They collected the money for homeowner insurance at the closing, did not make the payment. The policy was canceled due to this. Calling them, they said the money collected is for the next year policy. This is a big confusion. They started to withdraw the monthly premium on the 1st statement plus the money at closing, but not making the payment until next year. I did email to the company, requested the follow-up. No response! This made me very disappointed. The process of refinancing was good until this point. Why did the company let things like this ruin their reputation?

Hi Susan,

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us was not what you expected. We would appreciate the opportunity to look into the situation you described below. Please call our Customer Success Department at: 773-328-6467.

Customer Success Ambassador

Original review: July 5, 2018

Rick **. Where do I even start. This guy was a complete and total JOKE! First he gave me a contract to sign with an interest rate and after signing it the next day I get a phone call saying it is all wrong that my rate will be higher...um ok. I get a phone call from the company saying I'm buying a condo...um no. It's a house so wait...what the heck are they doing? Then we have to do everything all over again. And then 1 week away from signing after everything financially has been approved all of the sudden he can't do the loan. Yes, I'm pissed after going doing everything for the loan that they did not do it because he is an IDIOT, However on a general review this guy was unorganized, unresponsive and knew little about purchasing homes. Just go with a different company.

Hi Sonya,

We are sorry to hear about the experience you had with us. We would like to look into the situation you described below. Please give us a call at your earliest convenience at: 773-328-6467.

Guaranteed Rate Mortgage Company Information