1.14/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Flagstar Bank

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Flagstar Bank Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

They took over my mortgage and it’s been hell ever since. I had one rough month and could only pay half my mortgage payment... They never applied it to my account for several months. I continued to make my regular monthly payments and still continued to get harassed about the missed payment. I explained the partial payment and told them I would have the other half at tax season...couple months away. Instead they continued to harass me. Mailed my partial payment back and took service charges from the amount I paid. They had me do a mediation which lowered my payment and got me back on track however that lasted like 3 months because the morons didn’t calculate escrow and insurance which put me in a shortage and now to make it up my payment is higher. And god forbid if you're one day over the first of the month making the payment. They will leave nasty voicemails about collecting a debt. Hate this company.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Our mortgage was recently transferred to Flagstar Bank. Just tried to discuss mortgage with a representative and was told she had to speak to my husband. We have had a joint mortgage for over 50 years as it was set up and never have I had to put my husband on the phone to access my account. Do they not know this is 2019? We are in our seventies and now they dare tell me it’s his account.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Flag Star Bank was unable to find my last mortgage payment $2420 so we received phone call from Collection Department. After 45 minutes conversation they understood mistake and recognize my payment in mortgage section. What bank is it who is losing $2420 from file? Garbage!!! FlagStar purchased my mortgage 3 months ago and is charging us more than previous bank but it is illegal.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I needed Flagstar to endorse an insurance check for a replaced roof on my old house that I am selling. I paid extra to mail it quickly with a self addressed return envelope with tracking so that I could get the check to the roofing company before the closing date on my old house. Several weeks went by and I began getting nervous wondering why I hadn’t received the endorsed check. So I called, and after four phone calls, learned that they had received the check, but didn’t endorse it bc they didn’t have verification from my insurance company (that I was not told that they needed when I called to make sure I was mailing them everything correctly).

They had my insurance adjuster's report, but rather than calling me or the insurance company to ask, decided to just mail the not endorsed check back to me. But rather than using my pre-paid, self-addressed envelope, they decided to mail the check (without talking to me) back to my (now vacant) old house, with no tracking number. Flagstar has been mailing me bills at my new address for 2+ months, but apparently “that is a different department” and since their department did not have my new address on file, they had to send the $5,000+ check back to the vacant address without using any sort of tracking. My house was supposed to close next week, and now it can’t, bc of Flagstar’s unbelievable lack of common sense. This mistake of theirs is going to cost me a huge amount of money. They are incompetent and very difficult to deal with. Stay far away from this mortgage company!!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I was easily given a pre-approval letter. I was initially told that I would not have to put any money down. After weeks of runaround, I asked how much do I need for a down payment? Again, constant runaround without real answers. The closing date passed. I had to immediately seek an alternative lender who very rapidly approved the loan. Flag star bank took a 550.00 appraisal fee without working to approve the loan. I still have NOT received a refund. They also want you to send personal information via text which resulted in my identity being stolen. AVOID LIke the PLAGUE!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I get a letter from my mortgage company that they sold my mortgage to these people. I call the number they gave me to set up payments. Automated system says hit 1 if you received a letter your mortgage was sold. I hit 1. Asks for old loan number and last 4 SS. I put it in, over and over. Finally hit zero. Zero. Zero. Etc. Lady comes on and I tell her it's saying my loan and SS doesn't match. "Okay, Mam. Well we don't have your loan until 12/1." I said, OK but how do I set up my payment due on December 1? "We don't have your loan until 12/1 mam." I say Okay, but my payment is due on 12/1 and the letter says call to set up. The lady is louder. "Mam. I told you we don't have your loan until 12/1. It's not 12/1 mam. Call back after 12/1. Got that. After 12/1." Rude, rude, rude. OMG. What horrible customer service! This may be a good time to refinance!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

First, I did not choose this bank nor will I ever. Our loans was purchased by this terrible bank. It starts back when I got an insurance check for my room to be fixed. The check most be signed by the bank that has the mortgage and that would be Flagstar for us. So I send the check off and the paper work needed for a check of a fairly low amount. After, over TWO WEEKS I get the check returned UNSIGNED and a packet to fill out including a request for a notary. I call them and after a twenty minute wait I get someone who then after ten minutes says I don't need to fill this packet out since it is under a certain amount, just like read online. This process goes on for over two months before they finally signed the check and got it back to me so I could get the repairs to my roof done.

Second, their PMI removal process is a scam. I have attempted to do so. The response I got is I can have someone from their bank appraise it for over $500. Are you kidding. I hate this bank and hope they go out of business, They seem to not know what is going on at all within their own company and care little at all for their customers.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

My Umpqua loan was recently purchased by Flagstar. I have never missed a payment in my life. You immediately start getting calls from the flagstar collections department after the transfer. How insulting. Not appreciated Alessandro P. DiNello - this is bad, thoughtless, careless business and not appreciated!! Patrick **

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I have been disrespected, treated rudely, threatened with legal action, forced to sign a document under duress, literally lied to and harassed by the Bank Manager of the Brighton Flagstar bank. I received a call at 2pm and was told I had to come sign a document by 6pm or legal action would be taken. I was given no time to contact my lawyer. They also accepted supposedly legal documents without any follow-up. And - they would tell me one thing and then the next time tell me something else. They also will not tell you who their legal person/department is so, your lawyer can't contact their lawyer. Please - do not use this bank!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I got charged $15 for no reason, I made the payment as usual on autopay. My mortgage is $5128 and they keep sending me to the collection department. I have a 783 credit score. I'm not ** up my credit for $15. I wonder why I'm refinancing with Chase Bank.

Flagstar Bank Company Information