3.6/5 (309 ratings)

About Flagstar Bank

Flagstar Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I have submitted all documentation on my modification for a new loan to be restructured. But they keep giving me the runaround for the past 2 years and keep accumulating fees. All I want is to is add my past due amount to the back of my loan so I can start fresh but they won’t help me at all to revise it.

Flagstar Bank response

Ken, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologize that we have provided a less-than-ideal experience. We value your feedback and hope you'll give us the opportunity to listen and improve. Please reach out to our Loan Servicing professionals at (800) 968-7700 during the below times so we can help resolve your issue.

Saturday: 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I needed help with payments. I got divorced and Covid hit. When forbearance was ending, I applied for loss mitigation. I uploaded all of my documents and was still sent letters saying I have something missing. Don't look for much help from this bank. I applied for federal money, got it. Flagstar was sent the money in May. I started calling and was told to check back because the money wasn't there. Every agent I spoke with told me something different. Once I was told the check came in and went back out. I went back and forth with Flagstar and the government agency from May until the end of July.

Finally I got a call back from Flagstar stating the check was sent on July 29th. The check was sent electronically in May. I have documentation. Because the check "could not be found," I'm still behind and my monthly payment has increased! If I needed help with the payment, I would not have asked! Now the payment is has increased by about $100 more monthly. I was sent another option to sign. It was for a 40 year mortgage. It included my ex-husband. This was after I sent a quick claim deed in my name only!

Flagstar Bank response

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback, Janice. We apologize that we did not satisfy your expectations. Please contact us at (888) 248-6423 during the below times so we can ensure you have a more positive experience with us going forward.

Saturday: 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. ET.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Account was transferred from Wells Fargo to Flagstar a few years ago. The line of credit was never used. I closed the account per their instructions. No mention was made of any fees to close the account. I then received a statement showing no balance due, then received a letter stating that I owed a five dollar fee. I spoke to four customer service reps during an extended phone call, to no avail. They stated that I owed the fee and that needed to be paid immediately. Even though I do not agree, I attempted to pay the fee while on the phone. After first stating that they could take the payment over the phone, they then decided that they could not. They stated that they couldn't take payment from because my account had a zero balance. What? Absolutely Ridiculous! WORST BANK EVER!! STAY AWAY!!!

Flagstar Bank response

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, James. We understand we did not meet your expectations and would like to learn more about your experience. Please contact us at (888) 248-6423 during the below times so we can better understand the situation and find ways to provide you a higher-quality service going forward.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

As an ** veteran, I am at a lost of words with the pain and heartache Flagstar Bank has inflicted on my family after offering guidance to apply for state assistance with my mortgage only have Flagstar Bank decide to deny the state from providing state assistance to my family. Why offer guidance to a homeowner during a stressful and vulnerable moment, only to stab the homeowner in the back and deny that very same homeowner state assistance.

I live in a majority-minority county, I can only imagine how many other minorities Flagstar Bank has done this to. The history of housing discrimination has a long and painful past towards **, from a home being appraised a different value if the occupant is ** or ** to painful past of redlining to deny minorities the opportunity to purchase in affluent neighborhoods, it is clearly that Flagstar Bank decision to deny state assistance for my mortgage is nothing more than a 21st century style of systemic discrimination.

Flagstar Bank response

Jerry, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologize that we provided a less-than-ideal experience. We value your feedback and hope you'll give us the opportunity to listen and improve. Please reach out to us at (800) 968-7700 during the below times so we can learn more and make sure you have a more positive experience going forward.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Let me preface to say that I have two mortgages on two different properties with Flagstar Bank; both CURRENT; both accounts have been and continue to be in GOOD STANDING. In May 2022, Flagstar received a large payment from my Insurance company, due to an unfortunate peril that occurred to one of my properties in Feb. 2022 for the purpose of rebuilding my home. Flagstar, having security interest, placed the funds in temporary escrow to be released for rebuild upon receipt of their required documents.

It is Sept 2022 as I write, and since May 2022 we have been going back and forth with no resolve. I cannot count the endless amount of times that their (three) required documents that are needed before fund disbursement, have been sent to them via email, fax, and/or certified mail, only for them to state that they do not have record of said docs. We submitted all documents requested, the last of the three in July 2022. In following up, we received in turn - long wait hours on the phone (anywhere from a half hour to a hour and a half), being hung up on, and no return calls as promised, etc. This essentially has been on-going since May 2022. One day one representative may acknowledge receipt of a document, the next day another person will state that the same document is missing.

While Flagstar has deliberately withheld my funds for permanent rebuild, my home has since incurred additional damages, as the temporary fixes in February has worn. Flagstar neglect and mishandling of funds is now costing me additional, unnecessary expenses. My last straw in enduring Flagstar's abuse came when after review, they questioned and denied my Building Floor Plan. Said Floor Plan that was crafted by a licensed Architect, a licensed Contractor, and full review and building permitting approval performed by an accredited governing body - Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs.

I have seen the countless other similar complaints. It is not a coincidence. Flagstar has no right to use/misuse my insurance reimbursement funds for their own use, nor on my expense. This practice/abuse MUST STOP! Consumer, please be aware of these practices! I am not interested in a response from Flagstar asking me to call them to discuss further. I have wasted my entire summer 2022 doing so and have gotten nowhere. We are now heading into a new season, Fall. If Flagstar wants a resolve, they should call me, preferrably put everything in writing. To be honest, the ONLY response I am willing to entertain right now from Flagstar is the immediate release of my funds from escrow so that I can start to rebuild my home!

Flagstar Bank response

Nadia, we understand you are frustrated and would like to address any concerns you have as quickly as possible. If you are willing, please direct message us so we can learn about your experience and how we can better help your situation. Reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) so we may put you in touch with a supervisor.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Worst customer service when it comes to call them. Called 4 times and I have been on hold for 40 minutes each time. If you do not have life or nothing to do call them. If you need a faster service change this bank.

Flagstar Bank response

Milad, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologize that we provided a less-than-ideal experience. We work hard to ensure every experience you have with our team is a positive one, and we would love to learn more about your situation. Please contact us at (888) 248-6423 during the below times to discuss your visit and how we can work toward improving in the future.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

This is a horrible company. We have been going back and forth with them for months. They have made an accounting error on our account and fail to fix it. They send our loan to collections every month and then start calling us. We have been told by several agents in several departments that we are right and are not behind on our payments and that they will make sure it gets fixed, this happens every month and then the following month it starts all over again. Today, after speaking with 5 people, one of whom was unbelievably rude. He was about to transfer me to someone else and I asked who he was transferring me to because the person I had spoken with who transferred me to him said that his was the department I needed. He said, "to the department who will help you" and rudely transferred me in the middle of my sentence.

Finally, while I was in the process of writing this review, after 5 months of nightmare phone calls and after being on the phone today for nearly 5 hours just today, someone who knew what they were doing came on the phone. A woman named Aide very professionally and compassionately spent the time with me for us both to get to the bottom of the problem. It turned out that I did owe the payment but it was because Flagstar misappropriated our payment and then sent it back to us in the form of an escrow overage and did not inform us. While I am very thankful for Aide and her knowledge, compassion and patience in working with me in the frustrated state I was in, I would never want to do business with this company again. If my interest rate was not as good as it is, I would refinance with a different company.

Flagstar Bank response

Becky, thank you for giving us an opportunity to address your concerns. We're sorry to see you're having issues and would like to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, the best way to resolve your issue is to reach out to someone on our customer service team at (888) 248-6423 during the below times.

Saturday: 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m. ET.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

Stay away from this bank! I have spent hours upon hours uploading personal financial documents for a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC). Finally, more than 2 months later they decided to ask for one more document and then said, "We can't approve the HELOC based on zero logic." I have no problem with them rejecting the loan, other than the fact that I have already spent hours tracking down documents and months waiting for a response. If you're going to reject someone be a little quicker about it so they can go explore other options, of which there are MANY in the HELOC business. So with that said, do not waste your time with this bank! Find a bank that moves at a faster pace and lets you know up front everything they will need. Do not give them any personal items before they give you a checklist of EVERYTHING they will need.

Flagstar Bank response

Robert, thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your concerns. We're sorry to see you're having issues and would like to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, the best way to resolve your issue is to reach out to someone on our customer service team at (800) 968-7700 during the below times.

Saturday: 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

I had a water leak in my home and have been trying to get my insurance reimbursement from Flagstar for two months. All of the representatives (with the exception of the one who hung up on me) have been very kind and try to be helpful, but it's clear that there are no good systems in place for documentation needed and process. There is a check shown as submitted and paid out on my document list that has nothing to do with my claim. I have told all seven representatives and some say it isn't there and others say "I guess they will send it to the right person, you don't need to worry about it" when I ask to have it removed.

The information I get too sometimes contradicts what the person before told me. I have sent 4 emails through their website and have not received answers to any of them, just an automated response telling me how much my online inquiry means to them. Submitting documents through their online portal is sketchy at best. You will always receive a document upload successful message, but many never show up on the list as received. I've asked to speak to a supervisor to help during almost every call and am either put on a 20 minute hold while they "see if they can find someone" or flat out told that there are no supervisors available. I was also told that they left me a voicemail about my claim which is not true.

I have tried to stay professional and be polite, but I am so incredibly frustrated and have no escalation path. I have to pay the people putting my house back together and the insurance company has done their part, never in a million years did I think the mortgage company would make this experience such a nightmare. Hopefully someone from Flagstar will see this and help.

Flagstar Bank response

Barbara, thank you for giving us an opportunity to address your concerns. We're sorry to see you're having issues and would like to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, the best way to resolve your issue is to reach out to someone on our customer service team at (800) 968-7700 during the below times.

Saturday: 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I have banked with Flagstar for over five years. I like the local branch. However, I recently applied for a loan for 20k. I own my home outright. I own four other houses that are rental properties completely, no mortgage. I own my business and the building that it sits in 100%. My income is anywhere from $1400-$2000 weekly. The loan officer has asked for paperwork after paperwork and eventually, I was forced to ask my brother to co-sign the loan. He has two homes and about 1.3 million in assets. I STILL haven't been approved and there is now even more paperwork that she wants. I'm trying to borrow 4% of my assets and I have no debt for my debt-to-income ratio. WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG? I've never experienced a bank that was so determined to lose business.

Flagstar Bank response

Milissa, we understand you are frustrated and would like to address any concerns you have as quickly as possible. If you are willing, please direct message us so we can learn about your experience and how we can better help your situation. Reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) so we may put you in touch with a supervisor.

Flagstar Bank Company Information