1.10/5
  • 1 star
Based on 184 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 5, 2017

229 Flagstar Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

The main issue I've had with Flagstar over the past two years that I've had a mortgage with them is their lack of clear communication. The paperwork they insist on sending in the mail, their website, and information given to me over the phone never match up. This has been an issue since day one. It has become a more dire situation since my house flooded during Hurricane Harvey. I took the 3 month deferment on paying my mortgage. At the end of the 3 months I arranged to pay the arrears payments over a 6-month period.

When I called to make the first of the 6 payments, I was told that I had been dropped from the 6-month repayment plan. I was told over the phone that an FHA loan was not allowed to be paid back over 6 months - I had only 3 months. I would never be able to make those payments. I was told that I had to complete a form to have the 3 payments moved to the end of my mortgage term. But I never received that form.

One week later, over the phone I was told that I had been reinstated into the 6-month repayment plan but I had to make a steep payment for month one. I was not able to make this payment. Meanwhile, the website reflects incorrect information. And I continue to receive letters in the mail from Flagstar with yet different repayment terms. I was not given an explanation for why I was reinstated into the 6-month repayment plan - and when they transfer me to a supervisor the call is always dropped before the voice mail picks up. This company is not recommended. They are not transparent and they do not communicate effectively or clearly. They make it difficult when disaster occurs.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

This company should have -5 (minus 5) stars They have an auto-dialing system and are located in Michigan. I am two hours behind, Mountain Time. They will call my number 15 minutes after my time, so needless to say you can't speak to anyone because they are closed. This is senseless and annoying and they say they can't do anything about it. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with and they continue to be impossible.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I used to like this mortgage company and then today, two days after cancelling an online payment on their website in which I also received a confirmation number, they charged my bank for a second mortgage and overdrew my account. I called the company and all I got was demands about what I had to do to get my money back. Not even an apology. Then, when I asked to speak with a supervisor, he was condescending, arrogant and rude and continued to try to talk over me. Kinda one of those guys with a man bun and skinny jeans sitting at his computer playing Call of Duty and then claiming to be a veteran kinda guy. You know the type I mean but I digress. This company sucks in my opinion and all it took was one unlawful withdraw from my checking account, one smartass customer service rep and an egotistical supervisor for me to change my mind and post this.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Flagstar would NOT work with me on my payments when I flooded (Harvey). This next part belongs on another review board but I have to write it here too. When I refinanced my home in December the Mortgage Broker took it upon himself to NOT add my flood insurance back onto the escrow so I was without flood insurance because I made the mistake of trusting him. This Broker also chose my loan to go to Flagstar! Double whammy! I can't make this stuff up.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I applied on August 3rd for a mortgage with Flagstar Bank. I met with a man, Caz, who said I was pre-approved, no problems. I specifically said, "I got out of the military in Sept 2015 and haven't worked for 2 years. I have only been working 2 months" and he said, "Your salary paid! That's no problem at all". I signed the contract with my house, paid for an inspection, and appraisal and spent countless hours filling out forms and dealing with this process. On Sept 8 my mortgage was "approved with conditions". I was excited and expected to be able to move in within a week.

On a Thursday evening I received an automatic email from Flagstar saying I should contact my loan officer and that my loan process had been stopped. I had been trying to contact him all day with no response. He calls at 6 pm to say they wanted 6 months work history not 2. I had disclosed this since DAY ONE. Caz said everything should be fine and he'd call me the next morning.. Caz never called.

Here I am, two days away from losing my EMD on my house and a week away from thinking I had a home to live in, and my mortgage officer will not answer my calls. I am a 26 year old woman and was working all day, but my mom got involved and had time to go to the bank and see what was going on. Sure enough Caz was just sitting there. Ignoring all of my calls. He told my mom I had been denied for the loan, but no one told me. And her name isn't even on the loan, it is illegal for them to have spoken to her. Caz waited until literally 5:01 pm, a minute after banking hours, to tell me I was denied. Because I didn't have the 6 months work history. How did they not realize this August 3rd? This happened on Sept. 16. And now I'm in the process of losing this amazing home and everything I've invested. What are my legal rights here? I am a veteran, and can't believe how terribly I have been treated and lied to in this process.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I wish this review site had a negative 100 review because I feel a 1 is way too high for my opinion of this bank. My sweet 90 year old dad was going to switch bank accounts and so opened a checking account at Flagstar. He opened it with an initial deposit of $5 because had to go his other bank to draw out funds and put in this account. The rep at Flagstar told him his checks would be free for the new checking account as part of the promotion. Imagine my dad's surprise when he opened his first bank statement from Flagstar and found they had charged him a hefty fee for the checks and on TOP of that charged him a ridiculous OVERDRAFT FEE because he didn't yet have funds in the account to cover an expense he was told would be free!!! He showed this statement to me and was very upset and confused on why he was getting these charges he should have never incurred!!!

I was infuriated at the bank and told him what I suspected the reason to be. But by then was after their business hours and I work full time so was at work the next business day so couldn't go with him. He still drives so went into the bank himself and at that time they did reimburse him for the supposedly "FREE" :P checks and the OVERDRAFT FEE he shouldn't have EVER RECEIVED. All he received from the teller for their major mistake was a lame "sorry." I feel they owed him add'l compensation for their mistake!!! Thank GOD he opened his statement right away because I know some people don't do that and they would have been out all that money because the BANK sure didn't contact him about their mistake and I am SURE that would have NEVER happened had he not caught it.

I called and spoke to the teller who had handled this and she said everything was good because they had reimbursed him his money that they took from him in error and thought everything was all good. She felt they did not owe him anything for the worry and aggravation to a sweet little 90 year old man because of THEIR MISTAKE!! I WILL NEVER EVER BANK AT THIS ESTABLISHMENT BECAUSE OF THEIR SLOPPY AND INEPT BUSINESS PRACTICES AND RUDE TREATMENT OF CUSTOMERS AND ESPECIALLY SENIOR CITIZENS!!!

Original review: July 17, 2017

We refinanced our loan and received a lower rate but they were so sneaky. In tiny print the loan was extended from a 30 to a 40 year mortgage and we did not catch this until it was too late. Also, We are at the loan to value ration where the PMI insurance should come off automatically. They want us to pay $125 to have someone come to the house and determine the value. I have even sent them paperwork showing that we have invested over $20,000 into the home and we have paid off more than that amount. They are a deceitful company and I would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I applied for Flagstar's fresh start program after my car insurance tried pulling numerous times and causing major OD fees, which makes no sense in itself, why does flagstar get to charge you OD fees if money wasn't taken out? Anyway, I spoke to the useless cust rep in the fresh start program and she went through everything pretty clearly, or so I thought. I have another account with this useless bank. So after agreeing to everything and only understanding what she explained to me, I was under the impression that they would contact me with first due date in two days, and then it would be monthly until paid.

Nothing else was said or even hinted at. I check today my other account and bam, it has a zero balance, much to my surprise this corrupt bank steals money from other open accounts to offset the overdraft of the account just closed, THEY DO NOT TELL YOU THIS PRIOR TO STEALING IT. So they stole almost 200.00 from the mouths of my children because literally I was going to get groceries and that's when I seen the illegal practice they have of stealing funds without your permission, without even your knowledge of it. Now they will call and expect an actual payment in a month... I DONT THINK SO! I am closing my account, unpaid because they can wait until I want to pay them.

Warning. Empty any other accounts with this dirty bank before agreeing to anything. They worship their shekels. Don't let them con you like they did me. If you don't have an account with this horrible bank I strongly suggest you RUN from them. We all make mistakes, this bank doesn't, it literally lies to you, then steals money from you, then lies even more to keep their shekels. I hate flagstar of Michigan. Stay away, go to Chase or pnc. I have been a customer with this bank for 8 years... And this is how they treat me, imagine you're new... Sad and despicable.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Be careful when talking to Flagstar about a VA Refi. The stated, and documented, VA Funding fee for the first time use is 2.15% as shown here: **. In my case, I wanted to refinance an existing FHA mortgage, which is considered a Cash-Out Refi, for VA purposes. The principal outstanding on my existing mortgage was $118,500, roughly. Taking that amount times the LEGAL 0.0215 = roughly $2,500. On my loan application, line g, the Funding Fee is shown as $4,075. That amount was added into the loan amount, which I was fine with. The issue arose on line n, where the $4,075 was added in a second time, thereby increasing the loan amount. My warning is this. Beware that the funding fee, and the percentage used for the calculation, is a FIXED variable. So you can do the math yourself and according to VA Benefit specialists I spoke to at the VA, it should only be added in ONE time, not TWO.

Original review: March 18, 2017

I obtained this mortgage through a broker who I assumed knew what he was doing. Mistake #1 of our home buying experience. My valuable advice to you: NEVER let a broker choose your bank and NEVER EVER use Flagstar for anything. They were an absolute nightmare from day one and even after the house sold. Our experience is basically the same as the rest of these complaints. Raised our rate on closing day, jacked our payment up to an uncomfortable amount when we no longer had the ability to back out of the sale. Lost paperwork, refused modification, tried not to let a short sale go through but I had a very good aggressive realtor who hounded them and documented everything until the sale was final. Flagstar even "accidentally" sold my house at sheriff's auction while my short sale was pending and we made them rescind that and continue with our buyers which wasn't easy. It become our full time job for months.

You will waste many hours of your life on the phone with these morons. I don't think the people who send the letters are even real because when you try to call them they are never once available. Not once. Then when we finally think we will never have to deal with them again, we go to get another mortgage months later and discover Flagstar had not reported our short sale correctly so that halted our next purchase. Thankfully we did our homework and very carefully chose our new mortgage company so they promptly took care of the issue for us and we are happily in our new home. DO NOT give up and accept foreclosure and/or bankruptcy, keep on them every single day until they accept your modification or short sale.

They will not accept it UNTIL you have an offer from a buyer. They don't even tell you that little tidbit of helpful info. I wish I had just googled Flagstar right in the beginning. Would have saved years of trouble. Lesson learned. This bank should be shut down, I don't know how they can keep getting fined for fraud and still allowed to stay in business! Google it! It's disturbing!

Original review: March 13, 2017

Flagstar have worked with me when my financial situation was at the worst possible state. They've avoided me from losing my home on. My only issue with Flagstar have and continues to be the finance options.

Original review: March 8, 2017

We had a tornado damage our home. Our insurance company was out within 2 weeks and gave us a check. Considering all of the homes damaged we felt this was quick. Because Flagstar holds my mortgage their name had to be on the check and this is where the problems begin. I called them to get the information they would require and how to get them to release the check to me. I was installing a ceiling fan at my home when I called them. They placed me on hold. I drove to a home improvement store and returned, and was half-way finished installing the fan by the time they came on the line... well over an hour.

I mailed the check with the appropriate paperwork and Flagstar returned a check for less than 1/2 of the amount from my insurance carrier made payable to me and my contractor. Of course I sent my check to Flagstar overnight because this is extremely important to me, and over a month later I got the check for less than half returned via regular mail in a handwritten envelope. They will not give me a check in full until all repairs are complete. That is aggravating but I understand they need to protect their interest.

I called them and this time had a very short wait so I was pleased. However, the agent was of no use to me. I asked them to send me a check for the $7200 I was out-of-pocket for removing the trees from my house and yard, and the fence I had repaired already. They said I would have to provide receipts. I explained they had it in the information from the insurance carrier and he dug through his paperwork and found it. However, he told me he could not give me anything until the contractors were paid and they would not give me the money owed me until all contractors are paid in full.

Basically he told me he didn't care about me or my family being out $7,200. I have never experienced a company who cared less about their customers. I went to my insurance agent and he told me I was the 3rd person with a horror story about Flagstar from this storm. If you are buying a house or refinancing you need to understand the company holding your mortgage really matters.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

This company will say anything to get your business and will say anything to get out of a rate lock if it suits them. I locked a rate with Flagstar on 10/4/16 which was guaranteed until 12/5/16. There was no visible activity on my loan application that I did not have to call and cause to happen. The Senior Mortgage Consultant Jeff and the Underwriting Processor Alaina appear to work for different companies as they do not communicate with each other. The only thing they have in common is their incompetence. The mortgage lock was extended to 1/5/17 due to the lack of progress on the loan.

In the meantime, the rates changed drastically. Jeff then began the backpedaling process to escape the commitment they had made and along the way charged me $551 for a BAD appraisal that used no comps in my neighborhood. Prior to the "attempted" refinance, my loan to value using the bad appraisal was 68.4% and the new loan to value was 70% which Jeff said was not good enough and with the rate change it didn't make sense to refinance anymore even though I was shortening my loan term. Do yourself a favor and do not subject yourself to dealing with this company. Horrible!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I've had many loans throughout my life, and I have to say without a shadow of a doubt that dealing with Flagstar has been the absolute worse experience by far. Here are just a few of my complaints. They want you to show proof of insurance every year (which is normal) but they don't work with your insurance agent, they make you prove it to them by faxing or email in the form to them every year and charge you if you don't. If you want a payoff amount, they charge you $30 for them to fax you your payoff. They will not give you a payoff amount over the phone.

In 10 years with them I incurred one $30 charge and I asked them to kindly remove the charge due to my 10 years of paying on time, and they refused. The customer service agent was rude to me when I misspoke and gave her my mailing address instead of the property address when verifying my identity. For 10+ years I have been a perfect debtor, paying on time, rarely asking them for anything, and if they treat me this bad when things are good, I can only imagine how they will treat me when things are bad. In my opinion, IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE, PLEASE STAY CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

I had an escrow overage I didn't even know about since I never got my escrow statement. So I called end of October. "Don't worry about it we will take care of and you will get a check next week." Called 10 days later, no check. Nothing was ever done. Now I have to wait again. There is a holiday coming and they refuse to FedEx the check to me. They have the most incompetent people working the phones and they don't care about you as a customer at all. As soon as I get my check I am refinancing to go somewhere else. Worst mortgage lender ever.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

Flagstar's 'customer service' is horrific!!! If you have another choice, any choice, I implore you to go with them. If I would have read a review like this before I signed my mortgage with them I could have saved myself from immeasurable pain and headaches. On top of not caring about their customers, making them wait FOREVER on the phone and being rude, they are completely inept at their job. TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

After experiencing financial difficulties we requested a loan modification and after spending all required documents we were denied time and time again. After being served foreclosure papers our only option was to file chapter 13 bankruptcy in order to save our home. Fast forward two years later and our home was a total loss in a fire. We paid Flagstar in full $90,000 and never received one piece of paper from them.

5 years later we call Five Star to try to get a title release on our land and they tell us it was paid in full in 2011 and foreclosed on in 2013. No one at Flagstar seems to know what is going on or how long it will take to fix it. So here we are still trying to get a clean title on land that's been paid in full for over 5 years and nobody can give us any answers. We have retained an attorney and are going to be seeking damages for slander of title with Flagstar Bank.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

Our loan began to increase due to property tax increase so when I lost my job of 7 years we filed for hardship modification. Never having messages returned. Always something not completed then paperwork lost, money returned. Foreclosure their goal. So we hired a lawyer and paid him the money. After being granted a affordable payment and lower percentage rate nothing was adjusted as far as the endless fines and late fees. However we were assured it was put to back of loan. Months later I was informed our payment doubled due to escrow. A payment higher than ever that now has us back on their list for foreclosure. I discovered when I opened my statement to mail my payment they had returned my last two money orders refusing payment. So I shall seek further legal representation and warn everyone this company is not what they claim to be. Beware!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I bought a second home in Naples, FL a little over two years ago. All documents including evidence of all required certificates of insurance were provided and deemed satisfactory. In April of 2016 force placed flood insurance premium was added to my loan escrow charging me an additional 2452.39 annually. When I realized the problem I contacted the broker and property management company. The insurance agent sent additional certificates to the bank which they said "were under review". In July they replied this wasn't an acceptable flood insurance. However it was exactly what was acceptable when I bought the home and the only coverage available to the public through the FEMA program.

After being threatened with damage to my credit and late fees being assessed to my account and hours of phone calls and emails the Flagstar Bank insurance department decides the insurance is acceptable. I get a letter saying we have canceled the flood insurance for one of three reasons. 1) we sold your loan, I WISH !!!, 2) you paid it off 3) evidence of insurance was adequate The insurance dept is set up to do nothing more than steal from the customer. The persons in the dept making the decisions about adequate insurance are not available to talk to a client, even when presented with what they asked for but are failing to understand on any basic level. I own an insurance agency and was able to understand how to help myself. Most consumers would be taken advantage of here and not know it. Flagstar needs some serious attention and not in a good way. Maybe take a lesson from Wells Fargo!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Sent letter saying refinance application was approved. Then they collected my 500.00 for appraisal. Then they came back and wanted a bank account showing at least 5,000.00 in it. They should have stated that in the beginning. What a waste of my time and money. Will not ever refer anyone to Flagstar Bank for anything. Credit score went from 626 to 525 after they pulled my credit three times and after I spent two days working with credit bureaus trying to get a dispute status cleared up. My accounts are current but status dispute is why they said application denied after four months of all this crap.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I purchased my home a year ago and was told that after one month my mortgage was sold to Flagstar. My payments at the time were 2840 per month. I was told immediately that if I pay 400 dollars due to an escrow shortage that my payments would be reduced to 2760. Of course I took the bait. Taxes on my house were 9600 at the time. Fast forward to a year later and I get notice that I need to pay 2800 dollars again due to an escrow shortage or my payments would go up to 3200, if I paid my payments would only go up to 2970.

I had a mortgage prior to this for 10 years and NEVER experienced anything like this. When I inquired they said my taxes went from 7500 to 10,100. I GET taxes rise but why was I only being taxed on 7500 in the first place. Needless to say I contacted a very incompetent customer service rep to let them know what a HORRIBLE position they were putting me in. Good news is my house's equity has gone up 75K since I bought it and I'm currently in the process of refinancing! STAY AWAY, you have been warned. I went in open minded but it's been nothing but chaos and disorganization.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

Been there, I applied for a mortgage to purchase a home in Florida. I told them I am interested in selling my current home in RI but needed to secure a job in Florida first. The bank assured e this would not be a problem. Went on with the loan only to go around and around with the bank. First they said the appraisal did not come out good and the home was scored as a C5. First of all they refused to let another agent attend the appraisal while my agent was on vacation and knowing the power was only on for three days because it was a Hud home came to appraise the home when the power was off.

Needless to say the appraisal was bad. Then the loan officer recommends we try for a FHA loan knowing I could not promise to have a job in Florida or my home sold in RI. So far I lost an inspection fee and appraisal fee. Then he had the nerve to ask me to do another appraisal for FHA. When I asked for my denial letter for the first conventional loan. They told it was not denied. Now I stand to lose my down payment. I do not know where to turn as they will not answer me. They just keep saying I was approved. How could I be approved wit a bad appraisal and HUD was never notified of the FHA loan.

It appears that the appraisal companies these guys use are not very experienced and as far as giving documents. I have to agree. I have been asked several times for the same information. I guess it does not matter that I have 1,600 in inspections fee lost and now I am about to lose my deposit. My current mortgage is with Flagstar and I will make ever effort to close my relationship with them. I recently opened a credit card with them. I will have that closed as well.

Original review: July 23, 2016

We had hail damage in the Spring of this year and submitted a claim to our insurance company Western Mutual who were prompt and professional in sending out an adjuster and mailing us a check to make repairs. To our misfortune we have our mortgage with Flagstar Bank whose Claims section has a bureaucratic process worse than the Veterans Administration.

After more than 4 weeks, we finally satisfied their folks and Larry ** said everything was ok and he was just waiting for a payment code. I asked him by email to please use Priority mail and send me the tracking number which was ignored. Almost 3 weeks later and no check and numerous emails asking for a status ignored. Only recourse is to complain to our insurance company and ask them to intervene somehow plus next week we are filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: July 20, 2016

Flagstar Bank has to be the most unorganized mortgage company. I've been trying to complete a short sale since Jan. First off I started faxing every document that they required. I would call to check the status, they got this didn't get that. My realtor would call the next day and was told they hadn't received anything. They still operate with an old system. You can't scan documents to them. So I then started overnighting the paperwork which was expensive but I was able to track it because a signature was required. That too didn't work. I'm not sure who was eating the papers. After I fussed and fussed magically they had all my papers, on to the appraisal. They sent one person out who I think just stood in the doorway of my home as I was at work and was unable to go through the property with them.

You know they wouldn't give you a tone as to when they were coming out so someone could be there. That didn't go too well as the appraiser provided what I believe to be false information. Had to request another appraisal. It was finally done in May. Now we are getting the run around regarding the approval letter to move forward with the short sale. My realtor call at least 3 times a week and is being told different things with each phone call. When I call to express my concerns I'm sent to someone who always say they understand my frustrations but he states he would call me back with an update and here it is 3 weeks later and I hadn't heard from him or anyone at Flagstar. You couldn't beat them calling when you're late with that mortgage payment.

This has got to be worst experience I've had dealing with a major company. Fast forward to today when asked "who do I file a complaint with it. Can I get the information to your quality assurance company." I'm told "oh just send the email to me and I will send it to the appropriate person." I laughed and said "ummmm no I'm not comfortable sending you anything as you told me you were going to call me 3 weeks ago." I then asked to speak with whomever is over him and then told "oh he doesn't have an email that can be given out." Another lie. I'm going to make it my business to spread my frustration regarding Flagstar to whoever. They are ridiculous and does not value their customers.

Original review: June 19, 2016

Obtaining my mortgage with Flagstar was extremely frustrating. They could not tell me what information I needed to submit for approval, but I received daily requests for further information from a woman who refused to answer the phone or return my e-mails. After being approved for closing, the daily requests for new information continued. Even after I had provided all information, a HUD statement was not issued until the day of closing, and 2 hours prior to closing I got a call that they had miscalculated my taxes and I would need to provide a personal check for $300+ dollars (the downpayment had already been deposited to the title company).

One hour after closing started and I got a call that they could not approve my mortgage because they considered I did not have enough funds for the downpayment (which, remember, I had already paid by certified check). So there I was, with the sellers staring at me, furiously arguing with Flagstar that I was approved for closing and I had to close that day. One hour later, I got a call from someone else stating that the issue was a large deposit into my checking account which had not been reviewed by Flagstar (a check issued for my prior home's sale, for which they had a closing statement).

Long story short, 4 hours later we could not close because Flagstar could not issue the HUD statement for our review. Then, they wanted me to email the closing statement from my prior home's sale (which they already had) to a list of 7 people, none of which I had dealt with before. When they finally issued the closing statement, my $300+ deficit had turned into $1,000 they had overcalculated and I was to get back. I had my accountant review the statement once we finally had it, and the actual amount I was to receive back from Flagstar was $1,500+. We ended up being able to close the next day because the sellers were extremely kind and the title company assured them I had already deposited the downpayment and the check had cleared over a week before.

One year into my mortgage and Flagstar has twice defaulted on home insurance payment. That means I need to pay out of pocket for insurance that I have already paid through escrow, wait for Flagstar to get their act together (it takes about 6 weeks for them to review my escrow and issue payment to the insurance), and then hope the insurance company will reimburse the overpayment. Why do I need to pay every month for escrow when they refuse to pay the things they are bound by mortgage contract to pay out of escrow?

Honestly, I wish I had never gone with Flagstar. Yes, their rates were lower than other lenders and I thought I would be saving some money. But I am so aggravated at every interaction I have with them that I am moving my mortgage elsewhere, even if that means a slightly higher payment. If you must go with Flagstar, take care of your own insurance; they will not pay on time.

Original review: May 2, 2016

Tried to complete a loan modification after 9 years due to hardship. After nearly losing our home for being denied we retained a lawyer who stopped the foreclosure. We were granted the loan modification and a new lower interest rate. Our new payment amount was exactly what I had hoped for. However only 3 months later certified mail informed us our new payment would be higher than it was before. Now we just received another certified letter increase. After 10 years our balance has decreased 5,000. We have paid over 50,000 but according to Flagstar only 108.00 comes off of principal. I'm going to make a formal complaint, see my lawyer once again, and call Flagstar so I can be transferred around. Do not use this Bank.

Original review: April 26, 2016

Stay away from this bank - worse cust service and cons in every way. STAY AWAY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2016

They are constantly losing payments and it's my responsibility to trace the payment and send them proof that they received AND cashed the payment. They just conveniently forget to post it to the account. Every time I call, I get rude responses. I call to straighten things out and they talk down to me like I am the criminal. This is the second time I have to trace a check that they cashed and did not post.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2016

My husband and I have a checking account with Flagstar... where does the nightmare begin. We ended up getting hit with multiple overdrafts because of the way they process things. They put a hold on my husband payroll check. We ended up going into their fresh start program (which is also a nightmare). Supposedly while we were in the process of setting up our new account, they paid a bill for us that we had set up in bill pay (now according to my checking statement - this payment was returned). They payment was to the IRS for our taxes. This was back in October.

Friday (2/19-16) they withdrew $150.00 from our account stating that they were covering our payment. They gave us no warning whatsoever that they were withdrawing the funds. We showed no record of owing them $150.00. My husband just got off the phone with the IRS and they show no record of receiving a payment for $150.00. So who did Flagstar pay and on whose account. They went into our account and withdrew money that we did not owe them. When my husband call the bank, the assistant manager said that they could withdraw money at any time from our account. This bank needs to be seriously investigated, they are doing things completely illegal.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I've been with this sorry bank for 11 years and I have never have 1 missed or been late payment in 10 years. Recently I lost my job and was behind on 2 payments. I tried to request a modification on my loan because I'M experiencing hardship, and twice I've been denied for reasons that make no sense like I'M showing a revolving credit card on my credit that by the way has been closed for 5 months now!!! Although I've sent them documents showing that the credit card is closed they still refuse to help me out in my hard times. To make it worse I got caught up in a interest only loan at 23 years old and now 10 years later, I've paid over $120k toward interest only, with only $10 going towards my principal balance. Smdh. They won't let me get out of my loan, they want to force me out of my home by sending me other options like short sale, etc. I would never ever recommend anyone to apply for a mortgage loan with this sorry ass bank!!!

Flagstar Bank Company Information