1.16/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Flagstar Bank

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Flagstar Bank Reviews

Original review: May 12, 2019

They were extremely helpful and explained everything. They are also very well capable of working with the deaf unlike most companies that think everyone can hear. They Do NOT have an automated system for making calls. Most companies discriminate against the deaf and handicapped and Flagstar works with the disabled exceptionally well.

Original review: May 11, 2019

This is the best mortgage company on the planet, and I have dealt with about ten of them in my lifetime. No other mortgage company compares to this one.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I wanted to move to state that still had Wells Fargo. However I missed deadline. I got all my new intro pamphlets in advance. New courtesy checks, and deposit slips. Read everything & activated new card, took out some cash for weekend, and prayed. My auto deposits have cleared, my balances have transferred over, atm card worked smoothly, and I notified all auto parts of new routing number. Cannot get mobile app to download, and mobile banking is offline today. I'm sure a few days from now all will smooth out.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I honestly have no clue why there are so many bashing reviews on this company? My mortgage loan was bought by Flagstar Bank and it has been effortless with their online banking system. I have used their online chat to get a question of how do I set up biweekly payments and the question was answered and the form sent out immediately. I've set up my payments and have had zero issues. I will most certainly update this review if anything should change. When I first learned that Flagstar bought my loan, I looked up reviews and they seriously had me scared. At this point, I literally have had zero issues and every interaction has been positive.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

We have now had a short sale request with Flagstar since Nov. 2018. Multiple buyers have come and gone. The last offer sent in 2 months ago along with updated UBAF. I have requested the file to be escalated. Was told they will get back in 48 hours? I have asked a Manager call back. ZERO CALLS in 6 request. Today I was transferred 4 times, CS, Collections, back to CS and back to collections. I am on the phone right now and each time the same thing. Yet no manager is available. Once again no new updates. I asked what was the last updates, transferred again. Do they fall under any CFPB guidelines? Are their calls monitored? THIS IS A JOKE. I would be more detailed, but all I need to do is listen to the phone call. Filing a complaint with CFPB is next step.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

Flagstar bought our mortgage loan during the process of a home insurance claim. The repairs are complete and I'm trying to get the insurance funds released to me, but the service is among the worst I've ever experienced. Every step in the process takes weeks. They won't call me back, they said they are inbound call center only and it's my responsibility to call every day and check status. Then they say they are waiting for some documentation they never asked me for. When I email something in, I finally learned to ask for confirmation, which they do, and say they'll follow up with status, which they never do. Today, after two months of back and forth, I finally asked for a supervisor and they said they'll put me on a call back list and I should expect a call within 2 business days. Ridiculous.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Check the BBB reviews! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! They are so bad they don't even deserve 1 star. On-going issue that I have spent 4-5 months trying get resolved. Each phone call last an average of 45 minutes, every time they say, "Call back in a few days to check on the status" and every time I call back, they say, "There are no notes in our record!" All because they purchased a flood insurance policy on our property even though I sent in all the proper documentation multiple times showing that we are NOT in a SFHA. I even poke to a manager who claimed she was escalating the issue so it would be resolved promptly but when I called back, NO RECORD of the conversation.

If we could, we would take our business elsewhere but our loan was sold to them so we have no choice. We also changed insurance providers and even though the receipt was sent to Flagstar showing we paid the premium directly, they paid the premium anyway! UNREAL. I don;t know if they are completely incompetent or completely dishonest and shady.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

In June 2018 I had hail damage to my roofs through the winter and spring. I had all of my roof repairs done, paid all my contractors in full, provided all the receipts and all the paperwork including release of liens. Documentation was submitted over three months ago. Every time I call asking for my money I get a different answer but the best answer I got was their representative claiming he doesn’t understand why they have not released my money in full because all my paperwork is there. Needless to say that still is not resolved, they haven’t sent me any money. As I told him, "Are you stealing my money because it’s not your money, it’s my money and I want my money." He says he understands but there’s no answer other than the same guy that says I should have my money, understands my frustration, but I still get no results.

Asked to have a supervisor call me. Apparently, that takes more than two days. I still haven’t had a call from them. I don’t know where it goes from here but I’m going to try and press criminal charges for theft against Flagstar Bank. That might sound extreme but after months of waiting for over $40,000 of money that is not theirs I am out of options and I recommend nobody do business with Flagstar. They’re crooks and criminals and quite frankly they could care less about anybody or anything and no they will not give you your money to make your house or your life right. They’re definitely not a general contractor, they don’t have any business being involved in this part of an insurance claim and they don’t care.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Incompetent, dishonest, shady all these words could be replaced in the dictionary with “Flagstar”. After being a loyal customer for nearly 20 years I was treated like trash when one of their tellers withdrew money from their GL account instead of my own like I requested. It took them a month to realize their mistake, then they tried to charge me overdraft fees. After I was forced to take an unpaid day from work and waste gas to straighten the mess they created I was met with a rude soulless golem of a branch manager in Canton MI who not once apologized for their mistake. You’re better off burning your money than letting these incompetent arrogant unapologetic crooks handle it.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Returning from vacation we found 3 inches of water on the 1st floor. It only took EIGHT DAYS for the cleanup crew to remove drywall, hardwood and dry out the house, Our insurance agent did an assessment and we had a check in hand to start repairs all within 8 days! I sent the check to Flagstar for endorsement Aug. 27th using two day overnight mail. A week later Sept 6th the check is still sitting in their mail room unopened. By the time the check is logged deposited and funds sent to the contractor it may be another Two weeks. As we are in a hotel, Flagstar's lack luster performance really needs a makeover. I understand back procedures but when Flagstar's own procedures/people bog down the process for its customers, we have a problem. Regards, John **

Flagstar Bank Company Information