1.09/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

322 Flagstar Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

On Dec. 8 2018 Chase sold my mortgage to Flagstar. I didn't find out until Dec. 17. When I started getting debt collection letters from Flagstar. So I immediately called Chase. Of course they state that my account is closed. But Chase owed me $8000. So I called Flagstar but couldn't get through to any sensible person. So I wrote them and inform them that since they are collecting a debt from me for my mortgage, then I'm a debt collector also. I informed them that they owe me $8000 which is to be paid immediately. That was since Dec. 27, I haven't heard from Flagstar or Chase since.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Chase Bank sold my mortgage to Flagstar last June or July, 2018. The first few months, everything was fine. A couple months ago, they started not posting my mortgage payment correctly and then trying to charge me a late fee of 17.80 because THEY are ones that posted it incorrectly and supervisors refuse to pull it out and repost correctly. I was told I had to pay another 42 something which is what they posted wrong in order for a full payment to go through. I pay it as of no choice and get told it's all caught up. Then they told me on the next month's payment which was paid in full, unless the late fee is paid with it, they will not post it as a full payment which I'm sure is illegal.

Now, I am seeing a pmi on here as of 1-7-19. I have lived in my home 5 years now and never had a pmi posted through ANY company. I have been very unnerved with this company and am scared to death that they are a fraud and they are embezzling. I absolutely hate Flagstar and pray to God my mortgage can get sold back to Chase and the financials on all of what they've done get adjusted back to the way it should been in the first place. My heart goes out to everyone who is also having problems with these people.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My loan recently transferred to Flagstar Bank in January of 2019. They have been terrible to work with and the customer service is beyond terrible. I was on hold during one call over 90 minutes. My old mortgage company had already withdrew my January payment before the loan transferred. So when the loan transferred a few days later, they transferred, via a wire transfer, my January payment. I was provided with the federal exchange number to verify the wire transfer went through correctly, and the date/time of the transfer. Flagstar continues to deny they received my the payment and I had to make another payment directly to Flagstar to keep my loan in good standing. So I have paid my January payment twice!

I have talked to multiple customer service agents and several supervisors. All have been of no help and could not answer my question on how they could lose a wire transfer. How is it legal they can accept funds for my mortgage loan and not apply those funds to my account? I filed a formal complaint on the bank and encourage anyone else with similar complaints to do so with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My loan got switched over to Flagstar Bank after a recent refinance that first went to HarborOne. Ok, fine. Figured it would be no issue. First payment due on January 1st, so I set up an autopay on Flagstar's website to be paid on December 28th thinking it would go on that date. I just got a statement from them that the payment was never paid and now I have a late fee of $35.00. Total **, since the website had all my information already in it (routing and bank number) proving that I had set it up, with the "convenient" notification on their site that autopays only take effect on the 2nd payment. Then why wouldn't the site warn me of that at tell me I HAD to make a manual payment? Nice try Flagstar. Not on my watch. Judging by the reviews about this bank, I am getting my loan away from these guys ASAP, but not before ripping into them about the late fee.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I received a bill from my city tax assessor in November for 1633.00 I called Flagstar. They said it would be paid by 12/5/18. Two weeks later another bill. Called again. They said, "Oh yes it will be paid." A week after that got a bill from my homeowner's insurance. They didn’t get their payment. They went after Flagstar themselves. Third bill arrives today from tax assessor with a penalty. Called Flagstar again. Talked to mortgage department. Blasted them again and said it better be paid within 48 hours. And they are paying the penalty. Don't get a mortgage with these **. The best mortgage company is Quicken Loans or Mr. Cooper.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

This has been the worse banking experience I've had. We applied for a HELOC and they were super pushy to get the process started, then when we ran into some issue and I had questions regarding the loan they offered and wanted to know details before accepting their loan they pretty much stopped all communication with me. I tried calling, emailing, and just trying to get more info about a loan and no response from the contact person I worked with named Rosie. Horrible and unprofessional. They can't take 5-minutes of their time to explain a loan, just expect you to sign for it without providing you any of the information. I will NEVER work with this bank again.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My local mortgage loan company sold my loan to Flagstar Bank and I have had nothing but problems ever since. Be prepared for a long hold if you are calling customer service. My advice, go to another company if you have the opportunity.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

The people who operate this bank are complete morons. It has been a nightmare ever since a bad bank, Wells Fargo sold to a bank even worse, Flagstar. They are incompetent, unable to fulfill even check services properly. They keep no records of orders, so they never order anything. They shouldn't even exist with this bad service. They don't even function. They are a zombie bank.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We are a contractor working on a home that was damaged during the storms. Flagstar has had our down payment check since November 22, we have submitted our documents over 35 times via fax and email. And as of today, they can't tell me any update or whether they have received them which we know they have, because another department confirmed. This has been the worst experience ever dealing with a bank to process a insurance check for contract to be paid. We will have to the project completed this week and still can't get them to release down payment check. With no reason why from Customer Service. Don't bank with them and if you have a loan I would recommend re-financing.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I was never a Wells Fargo customer but am equally affected by this merger. Chase bank sold my mortgage to Flagstar so I opened a checking and savings account with Flagstar and have been a customer since December 8th, 2018. So far, I cannot log on to see my accounts online nor on their app. Customer service is only equipped to change my password but not diagnose why I’m unable to log in. This problem has also affected the banker's ability to get me logged on at the actual branch. Most recently, my direct deposit is missing and the banker at the branch had no clue about where it was. I’m freaking out because on top of all this, I’m one of the government workers who has been affected by the government shutdown. I need my money found immediately and I’ll just start sending checks or money orders to pay my mortgage. Flagstar is behaving like it’s been hacked!

Flagstar Bank Company Information