Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.24/5

Flagstar Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Most of the mortgage paperwork was completed via emails. Some items had to be sent via USPS. Process was quick compared to the average loan closings. Once closed I never hear from them. I would think they would stay in touch. Never know when I will need another loan.

Flagstar Bank response

Kurt, we are happy to see your review. We value your feedback and enjoy when our customers share their experiences. Please feel free to reach out to us at (855) 399-9890 with any questions or comments you wish to share during the below times:

Saturday: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. ET

Original review: March 13, 2020

We refinanced with Flagstar in 2010 and it was a wonderful experience. They came to our home for the settlement. The payment automatically comes out of our checking account bi-weekly, which allows us to pay the mortgage off sooner. We have never had a problem with this company, no problem with lost payments, misapplied payments, etc. I would highly recommend them.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2020

Easy application process, good interest rate. Easy to use phone system. Auto pay is easy to set up as well. Very competitive with other mortgage companies. I would recommend this company to others. Everyone is very polite and helpful if you have any questions or problems with your loan. Great people to work with.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

This has by far been the worst Mortgage Company that I have ever worked with. I Have called them 5 times requesting refinance information after they sent me a letter in the mail. Two different people told me two very different things and the last guy I spoke with was very rude and aggressive with me. I even told him that I would move my Mortgage from them and he could not care any less. I will be moving my mortgage and am very disappointed in this bank and hope I never have to work with them again. Think twice before working with these guys. I still have yet to receive a follow up email with quotes that I requested 3 weeks ago.

Flagstar Bank response

Deric, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologize that we provided a less-than-ideal experience. We value your feedback and hope you'll give us the opportunity to listen and improve. Please reach out to us at (855) 323-8599 during the below times so we can learn more and make sure you have a more positive experience going forward.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Flagstar Bank — Unable to obtain a lien release from Flagstar Bank although they verify by phone that no lien should exist on my title for my primary residence.

The title to my primary residence shows a lien due to Flagstar Bank in the amount of $62,000. That amount was reassigned to Chase Bank in April, 2002 who now holds the mortgage on a separate property I own. I have spoken with Flagstar Payoff Dept several times since mid-November and am told that they only retain records for 7 years so therefore they can't send a document stating that nothing is owed to Flagstar. They can pull it up and see the transaction and verify that there should be no lien but they won't send me documentation of that, even in just the form a letter. I'm told 'that's not the way it's done'.

They have a copy of the title search and won't respond or contact the title company to have the lien removed. I was told by two people that only Chase Bank could do that even though the lien isn't for Chase. All I want is for Flagstar to help me clear this title. Am I going to have to hire an attorney to have this done? It doesn't seem like an unreasonable request.

Flagstar Bank response

Nancy, thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns, we would love to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information on this platform, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Flagstar services our mortgage and escrows homeowners insurance payments. It failed to pay our homeowners policy, resulting in cancellation and now wants to charge us 2x for the policy that was cancelled. We've made many unsuccessful attempts to resolve this issue, so today have filed a complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General. Stay away from this company if you can.

Flagstar Bank response

Thomas, we appreciate you leaving a review and apologize that our service did not satisfy your expectations. We value the feedback of our customers and are working toward making sure you have a more positive experience going forward. Please reach out to us at (855) 399-9890 during the below times with any comments or suggestions you wish to share.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Worst mortgage company ever. Loss Draft DPT does not trust its customers. Over 2 years ago my home was damaged during a hail storm. I did everything that was required of me to get my home repaired. Mind you, it was a long process. I had to fire the contractor (did not finish the repairs) and hire another contractor. I paid said contractor out of my own pocket. Flagstar knew this, yet still wrote check to FIRED contractor. I requested a new check in writing as required by Flagstar. That was 3 months ago. Crickets from Flagstar. CRICKETS!!! Wait, I'm giving crickets a bad wrap. They communicate better than Flagstar.

So, after 3 months, I am still waiting for the rest of the insurance check (My insurance company) to finalize the last of the repairs that are over 2 years (2 YEARS) old. I did EVERYTHING Flagstar required of me to do. Oh, I forgot about the final inspection. The poor inspector had to come back twice because Flagstar somehow lost the paperwork for the final inspection... REALLY!?!? If you have the choice, do not NOT NOT use Flagstar as your mortgage company. I am beyond disgusted with the way I have been treated by Flagstar. UGGGG!!!! So frustrated!!!

Flagstar Bank response

Erin, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologize that we provided a less-than-ideal experience. We value your feedback and hope you'll give us the opportunity to listen and improve. Please reach out to us at (855) 399-9890 during the below times so we can learn more and make sure you have a more positive experience going forward.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

The loss draft department of Flagstar Bank has offered horrible service in administering the return of more than $1,000 that is owed to me. I first contacted Adam at ** more than a month ago in which he assured me that there was an error in how paperwork was categorized and I would receive my check in approximately a week. After the week had passed, I then followed up again, with an agent who I did not get their name, who provided a similar account.

On 10-30-2020, I spoke to Sharika who now states that they need verbal authorization from my prior mortgage company (I was never advised this before). After an extended hold, I asked for a supervisor and was told one was not available but would call me back. I ended the call confirming that Sharika that additional attempts would be made to get this "verbal" and a supervisor would call me back. No follow-up. I called back today and spoke to Ashley, who offered to call my prior mortgage company. I waited on hold for 40 minutes to be disconnected and never called back. The lack of follow-up and care and concern is appalling.

Flagstar Bank response

Jason, thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns, we would love to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information on this platform, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

My mortgage was sold without my knowledge to Flagstar. Was first made aware of this when a person without a strong command of the English language knocked on my door and wanted to talk about my loan. It was clear they were looking to verify if someone was living here and gain as much intel about the people living here and the condition of their asset. This happens monthly.

My loan is being paid on the mutually agreed terms outlined and after multiple requests, they will not stop sending inaccurate and harassing letters. They were sold a block of 30 year loans from another bank and I confirmed with the original mortgage company that none of the payment history or terms were correctly transmitted to Flagstar. Considering cleaning out an extra room so their employee can have a remote office when they make their monthly shakedown in person, unannounced meetings. Their phone wait times are off the charts long and if you actually get someone on the phone their computer freezes up.

Flagstar Bank response

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns, we would love to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information on this platform, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

They bought my mortgage loan and as with any buyout like that you have 60 days from the time it’s bought as a grace period for no late fees or credit reports. I made my payment to my current mortgage company not knowing the loan had been purchased. I then received a couple of letters from Flagstar telling me my payment was late. So I called them to learn they had bought my mortgage and my payment would now go to them. So here I am being threatened by some bank I’ve never heard of with late fees and credit reports even though I’m within the 60 day window as they shared. The reason they gave to me for the threat was my payment increased but I had no record of that from my previous lender.

I’ve never been late on any mortgage payments or any other financial loans. My credit score of 772 confirms that. So to receive threats from a bank I’ve never worked with and who would have seen when they purchased my loan that I have an excellent payment history is unacceptable. Needless to say I paid the extra fees but the whole experience was awful. Even their customer service representative was awful to work with and unable to answer simple questions. I will be taking my business elsewhere and would caution others of this bank's crude practices.

Flagstar Bank response

Brian, thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns, we would love to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information on this platform, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Flagstar Bank Company Information