3.4/5 (278 ratings)

About Flagstar Bank

Flagstar Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?

Original review: March 14, 2021

I set my account up for bi-weekly payments, little did I know that it would not cancel my monthly mortgage payment. So it pulled my payment twice/Initial phone call was great, they cancelled this for me right away so it wouldn't happen again. I sent in my form asking for an EXPEDITED refund of my mortgage payment since it pulled twice. This was pulled back on 2/27. I sent the form in on 3/2. Here we are now on 3/14 and it STILL has not been refunded. Terrible customer service as I emailed for an update.... They told me I need to call them for an update. You would think they could pick up the phone and tell me when it will be processed since I asked TWICE for an expedited refund.

Flagstar Bank response

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, Leane. We understand your frustration and would like to learn more about your experience. As we cannot gather your personal information online, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Original review: March 9, 2021

We purchased a new home November 2020 and our loan was sold to Flagstar Bank before we could even make our first payment. We have not been late on any of our payments on this mortgage or the mortgage we hold on our other property with Wells Fargo. Today I get a phone call from the Flagstar Bank collections department wanting to know if I had made my mortgage payment yet. Our credit scores are over 700 and we have a 16 day grace period as with all standard home mortgages. I have never in my 27 years as a home owner with a mortgage had a lender call me to collect my payment while still in the grace period. I found the phone call to be harassing and insulting. We will be refinancing my mortgage even if it means paying a higher interest rate.

Flagstar Bank response

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, Dawn. We understand your frustration and would like to learn more about your experience. As we cannot gather your personal information online, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Original review: March 9, 2021

We have been working on a refinance with them since October 2020. Our original mortgage was sold to them and they contacted us saying they could refinance it at a lower rate. We have supplied statements, paystubs, two appraisals, all documents. They have asked for the same things countless times. One time they asked why we had a large deposit every month in our checking account. I told them that was when I deposited my paycheck... Now we have done everything necessary and no response from emails, phone call lately. By their own schedule, we should have closed the loan two months ago. A little communication saying what their plans are would go along way. I am regretting being this patient with them this long.

Flagstar Bank response

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns. We would love to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I've been a Flagstar customer for over ten years and the past year has been the worst ever. They put a hold on my account and told me I had until Thursday to come in. I checked my account and they've returned all my deposits to senders. Now all my bills have late fees and they closed my account for no reason. I really think it's this branch I go to since I've moved. They seem very racist. WORST BANK EVER!

Flagstar Bank response

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

Missed 1 payment due to cancer situation. Then covid19. This bank could have cared less. Due to no exception allowed, I could not get them to remove 1 late payment to restructure my finances to keep from destroying my credit history. They didnt care and now I am in a finance collapse due to their horrible business practices. 1 missed payment after several years. Just shameful. Would not recommend them to anyone!

Flagstar Bank response

Stephanie, thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns. We would love to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Horrible experience with refi attempt. This was my existing mortgage company so I figured I would stay with them but they couldn’t seem to get my paper work or financial information correctly entered. They were completely unresponsive and inaccessible. Terrible company. Strongly recommend looking elsewhere for mortgage needs. This company will waste your time.

Flagstar Bank response

Wendy, thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns. We would love to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

My loan was (sold) transferred to Flagstar Bank, which for me was not a big deal because I pay my mortgage early most months and by law these companies have the right to do so. So, for me it does not matter who collects my monthly payments. The company that originally had my loan was excellent and had awesome customer service. Upon receiving my notice of transfer I called the number on the notice to let them know I never received a notice from my original loan company and the gentleman who answered the phone hung up in my face while I was trying to explain that I wanted to know what was the next steps.

After going though a series of phone menus I eventually got to a live person (Becky) who was nice but offered no remedy for my dilemma other than, "Call us back tomorrow." I cringe at the thought of this company having my loan now because their customer service is night and day from what I have experienced for 2 years. This was my first encounter with this company. No good!

Whomever is in charge of this company please take the time to treat your customers with respect and teach your employees how to have some form of professionalism about themselves. We are customers, you make money off of us. A little respect, honesty and professionalism will go a long way. Please don't reply with that generic response. Just do and be a better company! That will be good enough to let me know you understood why I posted.

Flagstar Bank response

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns, Terrence. We value your feedback and hope you'll give us the opportunity to listen and improve. If you are willing, please reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Flagstar purchased my loan and my escrow account has been messed up ever since. First they did not pay my fire insurance then they paid it twice. I have trying to get it fixed for 8 weeks and instead of someone looking at the account and making the adjustments they are holding my January payment until I cover the amount of the insurance payment THEY made in error. Now they show me 30 days late with my mortgage payment when they have my payment. They should not be allowed to treat people like this!

Flagstar Bank response

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns, Jeannine. We would love to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

First time ever doing a review for anything online, but felt I had to based on my experience with Flagstar. Based on the reviews I am seeing, this is a common theme. Had an issue when I refinanced, Flagstar sold my loan to another company when it should not have. Many other issues behind this and to be fair not all of which was on Flagstar in this regard. Called Flagstar, spent an entire morning on the phone, they created a case number, said they would look into it, said if I had not heard anything in a week to call them back. Did not hear anything for a week, called them back. The person who I talked to said there was nothing in their system, and did not have any updates. They said there was a note to have a resolution by tomorrow, and asked for me to call back.

I called back in the morning, they still had nothing, then I spoke to a supervisor, who said they would look into it. The supervisor later than day called me and unfortunately said they were still looking into it. She did call me back the next day and located what happened, and would work on it. I assumed it would be. 12 days later, I am still getting letters from the other mortgage company saying I owe them payments. I call Flagstar back, ask to speak to the supervisor who had called me, was informed they don't do that, that they were a call center, so I would have to speak with a supervisor who was available. I had explain everything again, the person who I was talking to said they would talk with a supervisor. I was on hold for 40 minutes, I had to call using a different phone to follow up, and was informed that they were suppose to come back and check in so I wasn't on hold for that long.

The person soon came back, and said they spoke with a supervisor, and said if I wanted to this process to move forward quickly, I had to reach out to the other mortgage company, get a document, and send it to a general email address. I asked why I had to do this, when I wasn't the reason for the issue, he had no response, that this was what the supervisor he spoke with told him. I asked to speak with the supervisor, he said he would transfer me, I was on hold for another 40 minutes. Then the line was cut off. I had to call again, go through the process again, to speak to a supervisor, was on hold again, spoke to another supervisor, who had to look through the computer system again, put on hold again, this supervisor told me that they were waiting for the document from the other mortgage company but hadn't heard anything.

I asked why I wasn't being informed on what was going on, and why I couldn't have one person to work with to address this. It was explained that this was a call center, and some people do not speak on the phone to the callers. I asked again when this would be resolved, they would not give me any answer other than they were working on it. Almost 2.5 hours, most of which was on hold, and the end result was I had to contact the other company to get the document they needed and email it to them. I did that the very next day. The next day, I call in the morning to get an update. I had to ask to talk with a supervisor. I spoke with a different supervisor, who could not confirm to me whether or not they had received the email, who could not say what the next steps would be, or tell me when something would happen to get some kind of resolution.

He said he would look into it. I was put on hold, spent over 40 minutes on hold. He said the two people he needed to talk to, one was in a meeting and the other had not come in yet. He specifically said he could call me one way or another by 5PM. 5:15 I call and ask to speak with him. I am told he had left for the day. Obvious not happy about this, I ask to speak with a supervisor. She looks into the system again, said it was moved up to management to work on. I ask to speak with management, as I am frustrated by the fact that I cannot get any answers and have to go through this process to get anywhere. I am told they do not speak to callers. What I am left with is that someone else is working on it. So still nowhere near a resolution.

I asked the various supervisors about this mortgage company sending me notices and saying I will soon be delinquent, they say there is a grace period and that they can go back and fix issues, but when I ask why I need to do this when this issue was not of my doing, they say there is nothing they can do. When I ask why I cannot have a single contact person to address this issue, I am told that is not how their system works. When I asked why I needed to do all the follow up to see where things are at, and why it seems that nothing happens unless I call to inquire, they say they are working on it. Essentially, if there is a problem, when they get to it they get to it. If there is a deadline issue which is approaching for me, apparently there is nothing they can do. I tried calling Flagstar to see if they had a customer service complaint department, they apparently don't.

It's been 23 days since this process started, lost track of how long I was put on hold, at least 5 different "supervisors" who were not able to get consistent answers on what was going on or when things could be done. Only once did they contact me, everything else I had to follow up and check on. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau, and taking other further action if I end up having to address credit reporting issues because of them. I have never been through anything like this before. It was ironic that when I was trying to contact a customer service department, I came across their STAR acronym for what they stand for. None of this happened for me. This has cost me time at work, and much more time with frustration and anger dealing with this issue. I hope I never have to deal with Flagstar again.

Flagstar Bank response

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns, Benjamin. We would love to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information on this platform, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Deceitful management at FlagStar Bank, horrendous customer support and they don't even know how to keep a ledger balanced. Avoid this bank at all costs or you will regret it. When they purchased my mortgage the paperwork was screwed up (which they admitted to me in writing as being their fault) and they ended up sending me to collections despite the fact that I have paid in full each month, and have provided the receipts to prove it. Not only that, for one of the payments they double charged me and they couldn't send the extra money back.

Dozens of hours on the phone later, and having to take two full days of leave from work I am no closer to a resolution. When you call these people on they phone they pay excellent lip service to you, and even give a case number, but when you call back they deny ever receiving a call. When they promise to send the case to an internal investigator to get to the bottom of it, they fail to follow through and tell you that no progress has been made. Again they promise to do something about it, and again they sit on their thumbs and ignore the case.

Now I am forced to make extra full payments on my mortgage above what they are owed just to satisfy them and keep a roof over my head while this process trudges on for what will likely be years at the rate they are going. I'm a nurse and work in a nursing home that was hit hard by COVID-19 and the time I have had to spend on this only increases the burden on my my fellow nurses. I do not believe in coincidences. Who knows how many other people they are doing this to? Don't take the chance that it will happen to you too.

Flagstar Bank response

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns, Christopher. We would love to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information on this platform, we encourage you to reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) and send us a private message with your contact information so we may escalate your situation to a supervisor.

Flagstar Bank Company Information