Flagstar Bank Reviews

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Flagstar Bank

Flagstar Bank provides personal banking options such as checking and savings accounts, loans, mortgages, credit cards and investment services, as well as business banking options. It’s been in operation since 1987 and has grown to become one of the largest residential mortgage originators in the U.S.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Large variety of mortgage options
  • Over 395 branches across the U.S.
  • Competitive interest rates on some accounts
  • Large ATM network
Cons
  • Can’t open accounts online
  • Best savings account rates require large balance
  • Customer service not available on Sundays

Flagstar Bank Reviews

Stars Rating

• 12%
  • 15%
  • 6%
  • 5%
  • 62%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flagstar Bank?
    Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Feb. 22, 2024

Run away from Flagstar Bank!! Thank me later... They will close your bank account with one letter with no explanation out of the blue. Instead of scrambling last minute to move your banking somewhere else, do your banking with some big-name bank, not this shady institution. Save yourself time and aggravation. We had a checking account with our old bank 20 years, and after Flagstar took over, account gets closed for no reason... Don't be next. Many other customers at my branch got the same treatment.

Pinned

Hello & thank you for giving us an opportunity to address your concerns, Jakub. We'd like to learn more about your experience. If you are willing, please send us a direct message so that we can collect your contact information and share your feedback with our team for review.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2024

Rating: If I Could Give Zero Stars, I Would. My experience with Flagstar Bank has been nothing short of a nightmare, revealing a blatant disregard for customer respect and an appalling level of manipulation. They falsely assured me that my January mortgage payment had been processed, only to later reveal, amidst a confusing and stressful situation, that my mortgage was being transferred to another bank. This misinformation cost me hours on the phone across multiple days, trying to resolve a problem that, as it turned out, was a fabrication on their part. When I sought clarity, Flagstar Bank’s explanation only deepened my frustration. They claimed a payment request had been made and then denied by my bank – a claim my bank outright denied ever happening. This lie was not just a simple mistake; it was a deliberate attempt to mislead and deflect responsibility.

Even more infuriating was Flagstar’s attempt to wash their hands of the situation by citing the transfer of my mortgage as a reason they could no longer assist or provide clear answers. It’s evident that Flagstar Bank’s primary concern is their profit margins, not the well-being or financial security of their customers. The mention of bankruptcy and deferment seemed like scare tactics, aimed at confusing and extracting more money from customers during the transfer process.

Their customer service team, if one could even call it that, is a group of individuals seemingly willing to say anything to keep their jobs, with no regard for the truth or the impact of their words on people’s lives. This experience has shown me that Flagstar Bank lacks basic human decency and respect, treating their customers as nothing more than numbers on a balance sheet. I urge anyone considering Flagstar Bank for their mortgage or banking needs to think twice. No one should have to endure the stress, frustration, and outright manipulation that I experienced. This bank does not deserve your business.

Pinned

Hello & thank you for giving us an opportunity to address your concerns. We're sorry to hear you experienced difficulties when working with our team and apologize for any frustration caused. If we can be of assistance to answer any further questions you may have, please send us a direct message so that we can help.

Reviewed Feb. 17, 2024

I am the owner of 2 businesses, one of which is a property company, in addition to being a busy wife and mother. We are in the middle of a remodel and I made the mistake of not having transferred the money into the right account in time. I called Flagstar on a Saturday afternoon and within a short, very pleasant few minutes Flagstar had resolved my issues. Reena C. was my customer service representative and I cannot say enough great things about her professionalism and knowledge. I deal with a variety of financial institutions frequently. Flagstar has a great user friendly website which I wish some of the other businesses could employ and when I needed to talk with someone they were incredibly responsive and helpful. I have had them as a mortgage company for some time. I would highly recommend this company for anyone needing a mortgage.

Pinned

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Kimberly. We work hard to provide quality customer care, and we're happy to hear your recent experience with Reena was positive, and that she was able to resolve your issue swiftly. It was our pleasure serving you!

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServiceContract & TermsPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2024

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS BANK, NEVER APPLY FOR A LOAN HERE. on November 1st, 2022 I received approval from Flagstar Bank and entered into an agreement to have a HELOC, or home equity line, of $43,000 at 11%, this is a secured line of credit using my home, which is worth more than $43,000 plus the original mortgage of $49,000, I have only used $18,000 of these funds for home improvements, including assessments to my condo, even if I use it for a vacation around the world, it doesn't matter, it is secured, and in only a year and a month, Flagstar Bank decided to freeze this line of credit, and block me from using it.

They claimed for the first time in 13 months, that based on my score with Equifax, they feel I will not be able to comply with my payments, even though, I have a business and savings account with my business and a personal checking account with plenty of funds to pay all of the obligations, all set up on automatic payments and never once late on any of them, and one year Equifax have reported my score lower, and indicated, every three months, while TransUnion and Experian report monthly and accurate, all of the payments have been made on time, this line of credit has only been used about less than half of the agreement limit. Again, my property has been used as collateral so there is no risk of any violations on my behalf.

This institution has targeted me, very possibly for discrimination or political reasons, CUSTOMER SERVICE; every time I called I got an answering voice mail, one man always the same person eventually called me back, at a very convenient time, so rude, so cold, and dry, apparently intimidation tactics to make me go away, after reading all of the negative reviews here, I believe I'm not alone, No, Mr bank, do not respond to this by telling me to take it to your page on social media or Facebook, this is ridiculous, I paid for an appraisal, I paid for closing costs to get this line of credit, and I have plenty of equity in my property, and I have never been late, on any payments, Equifax report is wrong, no I'm not going to resolve your actions with them, my Attorney will deal with your bank and Equifax, but I will post a copy of this on the bank's social media page on Facebook, Twitter Instagram and YouTube, of course on Google too.

Pinned

Omar, we understand you are frustrated and would like to address any concerns you have as quickly as possible. If you are willing, please direct message us so we can learn about your experience and how we can better help your situation. Reach out to our team on our managed social media platforms: Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter (https://twitter.com/flagstar) so we may put you in touch with a supervisor.

Reviewed Jan. 11, 2024

My loan was purchased by these jabronis. Communication is horrible. It doesn't matter what you do on their site, it doesn't register, they will ask you to do it again, and tell you they didn't get it. They can not provide accurate or timely information about anything, and their support/IT people also have no information. When you call/talk to them, they provide you with nothing but more hoops to jump through, again. I'm sure they are trained to never give out info, because what they have is wrong and/or illegal. Fortunately, all my payments have been made on time, but I expect them to drop the ball eventually, even though I have auto pay set up. It has been set up three (3) times, and turned off by Flagstar systems three (3) times.

If you have the option/opportunity to change banks, or work with another, I would encourage you do to that. Even if they did care, or were to admit fault (they won't), they would not do anything to make it right, which would be financial compensation to the wronged party, they will not. They are too busy not protecting your personal data, or being sued for improperly approving loans and paying employees incentives in the process.

Pinned

We're sorry to hear about your experience, and we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns directly.

As we cannot gather your personal information online, could please direct message us on our managed social media platform profiles (noted below) so that we can share your feedback with a member of our team?

Reviewed Dec. 29, 2023

Talk the talk but don't walk the walk. This "Bank" is where greed and ineptitude combine. Non stop addendums to requests for more information. 6 weeks now and still playing games. The worst is the "Assumption" Dept. Each dept. works as a stand alone entity with no communication or shared file between them and on top of that all the employees are working from home.

Pinned

Steve, thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your concerns. We're sorry to learn you're having issues and would like to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, if you are willing, please direct message us on our managed social media platform profiles (links to follow) so that we can better assist. Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar)

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2023

Our mortgage was sold to Flagstar Bank. At first, I had issues with their services and the hiccups in the transfer, but were resolved and customer service was good and helpful in remediating the situation. In the past year, everything has gone downhill. The MyLoans online account information is completely inaccurate all the time, never updates payments and says your account is up to date when it is not. When you make a payment, they do not put it through to your bank until two weeks later. Because of a returned payment (my mistake, I acknowledge), they told me I was only able to make payments through Western Union for the next 6 months.

Two reps on separate calls told me I could pay online through Western Union, while another two said I needed to go into a branch. We had errors paying online and went to three different branches who were unable to process/send payments because of an error with Flagstar's ability to receive WU payments. The Flagstar representatives just blame Western Union and offer no other options. Western Union customer service says Flagstar needs to fix it on their end. Flagstar reps have acknowledged that this is a common problem they hear about with customers, but report there are no efforts to fix the problem.

It is very frustrating when Flagstar will not let you make an online or phone call payment and the only way they tell you they will accept payment does not work. It is almost like they want to mess up their clients' credit scores. So frustrating and unfair. Every time we have called about this, we do not receive any help and reps are rude on 3/4 occasions. All I want to do is pay my mortgage, but Flagstar has no interest in taking payment, or even answering the phone. You need to let your customers pay their bills and you need to provide accurate information- I am so tired of the run around and wild goose chases for answers and solutions.

Pinned

We're sorry to hear about your experience, Caitlin and we'd like the opportunity to address your concerns directly.

As we cannot gather your personal information online, please direct message us on our managed social media platform profiles (noted below) so that we can share your feedback with a member of our team.

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2023

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH FLAGSTAR BANK!!! I set up an automatic payment through FlagStar and Zelle. 9 months later, after receiving an email that my “auto-payment plan had been completed” I let the recipient know that he had received the last payment. The recipient proceeded to let me know he had not received a payment in 6 months. After looking back through my emails, I received an email every month from FlagStar Bank stating “your automatic payment to the recipient had been made”.

I contacted FlagStar Bank this morning and was told that the recipient's bank had declined the last 6 payments he had not received. The FlagStar employee could not tell me why they were declined, and to make it worse, could not send me ANY PROOF that his bank had declined these payments in order for me to prove to the recipient this was NOT an error on my end, but rather his bank. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, the same employee came back to the phone about 10 minutes later to let me know there was nothing they could do for me to prove that it was the recipient’s bank that declined payment. This lack of proof first makes me think it was not the recipient’s bank's screw-up, but rather FlagStars screw-up!

As you would suspect, the recipient also feels it was likely a FlagStar Bank screw-up, otherwise they would have offered proof the issue was on the recipient's end, and not due to me not making these payments. If nothing else, the fact that there were 6 “declined transactions” from his bank (according to FlagStar) and I received confirmation emails for delivery of ALL of these transactions that NEVER went through, and then a final email at the end stating, “your automatic transactions are all complete”, FlagStar FAILED to let me know these transactions were not going through. I assumed, since it was set up as automatic payments, they were going through to the recipient's account, and the recipient assumed the same, so neither of us were aware they were not getting through.

According to FlagStar, they cannot offer me ANY proof to let me give to him the recipient that I was attempting to make these payments. FlagStar Bank is a JOKE! I wish I were not in a 3 year commitment to them with a HELOC loan, but you can bet as soon as my 3 year commitment is up, the HELOC will be paid back and I will NEVER do business with FlagStar bank again. This is the second issue I have had since I started banking with them. There will not be a 3rd screw up, as I will NOT use this account for anything else due to FlagStar not giving enough of a damn about their customer than to just tell me “sorry, there is nothing we can do to make this look like you just quit paying your bills, not because we can’t, but because we won't! STAY AWAY FROM FLAGSTAR BANK! I wish I had read all of the poor reviews before I took this HELOC LOAN out!!!

Pinned

Scott, thank you for giving us an opportunity to address your concerns. We're sorry to see you're having issues and would like to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, if you are willing, please direct message us on our managed social media platform profiles (links below) so that we can learn more about your experience. Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar)

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2023

My mortgage loan was bought out by Flagstar with the transfer date 9/1/23. On 9/6 I mailed my payment with the loan number on the check as well as documentation that was sent to me by Flagstar. About 10 days later I signed onto my account at Flagstar and found that my payment was not posted. Called Flagstar, and the person spoke with informed me that they did not receive it and blamed it on the USPS. Waited several more days, no payment posted.

Contacted Flagstar, received same excuses. About 20 days later, checked my checking account and lo and behold the check cleared. Followed up with Flagstar, payment was not posted to account. Contacted Flagstar, person informed me that it will post the next day. Takes almost 15 days to post a payment? This is really a shady bank. Give them 0 stars. I didn't choose this shady mortgage company, but I am stuck with them because the bank bought. So far I have ZERO TRUST in Flagstar. Will be contacting FDIC as well as the State Attorney General's Office if this continues!

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback with us, Curtis. We understand we did not meet your expectations and would like to address your concerns directly. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to listen and improve. If you are willing, please direct message us on our managed social media platform profiles (links below) so that we can better assist and learn more about your experience. Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar)

Reviewed Sept. 23, 2023

My loan was sold Flagstar Bank in September 23. I have attempted to pay my mortgage thru Chase and three times it has gotten returned. The representatives that I talked to have given me different answers each time I talked to them. The management team was no help and didn’t understand my frustration over this. In between the payment rejections, the collection unit called me and asked me why I haven’t made my payment. I’m so angry at this bank. I didn’t asked to be with this company. I’ve had them before and they mismanaged my impound account, but they wouldn’t let me take it over. I was glad to refinance to get rid of them. But now, I’m stuck with them again. I’ll be sending my 4th attempt next week, when the money get posted back in my account.

Pinned

Russell, thank you for giving us an opportunity to address your concerns. We're sorry to see you're having issues and would like to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, if you are willing, please direct message us on our managed social media platform profiles (links below) so that we can better assist. Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar)

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2023

ZERO STARS!!! My home loan was recently sold to Flagstar Bank. I received a letter from Flagstar with specific instructions on making my first payment to them. Well, I followed those instructions to a T, and made my payment through Chase online banking. Three times!!! My payment has been returned to Chase by Flagstar three times! I've talked to clueless customer service representatives twice. Today will be my third. Are they running some kind of scam to destroy my credit???

Pinned

We're sorry to hear about your experience, Lisa, and we apologize for any frustration caused.

We value your feedback and hope you’ll give us the opportunity to listen and improve. We would like to share your concerns with the appropriate team, if you are willing, please direct message us on one of our managed social media platform profiles (noted below) so that we can better assist.

Facebook: facebook.com/flagstarbank or Twitter: twitter.com/flagstar

Reviewed Sept. 3, 2023

I was looking to buy a bike so I submitted all the documents they had asked for. And not a response at all. I don't understand why I wouldn't receive a response. Oh well I banked with them for over 10 yrs and I will close all my accounts because this is the most unprofessional business.

Pinned

Hi Sara, thank you for bringing this to our attention and taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We understand we did not meet your expectations and would like to learn more about your experience. If you are willing, please direct message us on one of our managed social media platform profiles so we can address your concerns directly.

Reviewed July 14, 2023

Delay after delay. A simple lot line adjustment has taken years now. The Partial Release department is hard to contact, seems to make up new processes as we go, and has made this simple adjustment into a mess. Almost two years in Flagstar wants a notarized release for my title company to be involved despite being involved the entire time. New request after new request. Get it done, Flagstar! This is why people hate big entities.

Pinned

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your important concerns, Jeremy. We're sorry you're experiencing difficulty with your lot line adjustment & would like to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online here, if you are willing, please direct message us on one of our managed social media platform profiles (links below) so that we can better assist. Facebook: facebook.com/flagstarbank or Twitter: twitter.com/flagstar

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 10, 2023

As a rule of thumb I tend to make payments in advance for all of my bills. In the case of Flagstar Bank an early payment went towards our escrow leaving us late on our monthly payment. I called to explain that the full (exact) amount we owed was paid in advance as an act of good faith. Unfortunately, they would not make any adjustments and as a result of our early payment we were stuck having to make an additional payment for that month. Needless to say, payments moving forward will be late.

Pinned
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, Heather.
    We value your feedback and hope you’ll give us the opportunity to listen and improve. We would like to share your concerns with the appropriate team, if you are willing, please direct message us on one of our managed social media platform profiles (links below) so that we can better assist.

Facebook: facebook.com/flagstarbank or Twitter: twitter.com/flagstar

Staff

Reviewed July 2, 2023

Flagstar Bank is apparently in the habit of keeping excess impound account funds over $500 even though it's the law. The first time they did this on our account they had over $5000.00 in our impound account. On one occasion, we missed a mortgage payment but rather than take the payment out of our impound account they reported a missed payment to the credit bureaus which lowered our credit rating. It was then we discovered they had all of these funds of ours they had been keeping for several years. Now I just received a refund check for $705.00 from them again in violation of law. This is just an incompetent, unhelpful and deceitful bank and I would never do business with them again and suggest you might be advised not to either.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, William.

We value your feedback, and we hope you'll give us the opportunity to address your concerns directly.

If you are willing, please direct message us on our managed social media platform profiles (links below) so that we can better assist.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed June 8, 2023

I have called multiple times in a month and each time there hasn't been a resolution until I had to figure out what was going on with my property taxes and getting double charged on my home owners insurance as well. I've showed them proof multiple times as well, spoke to the county of San Bernardino and they were in agreement with what I was asking. This last call after about 5 different times really pushed me over to write this. Everyone is stuck on one thing and when I was asked to be sent to a manager come to find out there is no manager. It's only a management team but no one is actually a manager according to Tatiana. She also stated it doesn't matter who we call no one is going to help.

Terrible service, terrible servicing company. I'm a licensed loan officer and I do this every single day and customer service is our highest priority and we work for our clients. Flagstar is completely the opposite as a servicing company. They messed up on an escrow analysis and won't own up to their mistake and putting it on the customer and stating there's nothing they will do.

Pinned

Hello Dunn, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We understand you are frustrated and would like to address any concerns you have regarding your property taxes & homeowners insurance as quickly as possible. If you are willing, please direct message us on one of our managed social media platform profiles so we can better assist you. Please reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar)

Price

Reviewed May 17, 2023

There are a bunch of hidden fees such as interest on purchases made. They don't make disclosure statements as they should. They charge $40 for returned payment fees. I lock my bank card for security purposes (not my fault they take the payment 3 days after the payment is made).

Pinned

Shantea, we understand you are frustrated and would like to address any concerns you have as quickly as possible.

If you are willing, please direct message us on one of our managed social media platform profiles (links below) so that we can collect your contact information & further details to bet ter assist you.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 14, 2023

I was denied loss mitigation by Flagstar. I lost my job due to Covid and was struggling to keep up with my mortgage payment. However, Flagstar’s denial turned into a blessing. Because of Flagstar not willing to help, I was able to qualify for the government assistance program HAF (Homeowners Assistant Fund). I was awarded 18month of the state paying my mortgage. Every month is a struggle to have Flagstar apply my payments to my account. Every month flagstar receives the payment “on time” and it sits in a suspense account. The customer service reps are not knowledgeable, vile and make assumptions before looking at your file or asking the proper question.

When asked to be transferred to the hardship department where the reps are more knowledgeable about the HAF program, they always give me the run around, become vile or sometimes say they will transfer me but ultimately they disconnect the call. I consistently have to make multiple calls each month to get through to the hardship department. Yes, I call the Hardship direct number but somehow flagstar’s joke of a system misdirects customer's call. I have to call to confirm if notes are being put in the system, when payments will be applied? and removing late fees which shouldn’t have been applied to my account in the first place. No customer should have to go through this.

Pinned

Krystel, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We understand we did not meet your expectations and value our customers’ feedback. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to listen, improve and address your concerns directly.

https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank or https://twitter.com/flagstar

Reviewed March 23, 2023

We requested a payoff on 9 Feb, paid it off but Flagstar went ahead and pulled $30k from our account AFTER we paid it off. We have been fighting with them to refund us this overage since 14 February. They even went so as to try and get more money from the account and were told there were 'non-sufficient funds'. Duh! Why were they trying to get more money AFTER we had paid off the balance? We provided our bank statement after they said they 'reversed' the money back into our account (no they didn't). We filed a complaint with CFPB and the bank's response was that it takes up to 3 weeks before the bank credits it to our account. WHAT? In this day and age of electronic funds transfers, it takes about 1 -2 days. We even went to our bank and talked to them about this. They were surprised that someone would even say that.

We have had two 'case files' with Flagstar (the second one is still open). No one pays $30k over their mortgage just for the fun of it. Now we are having to get a lawyer to get our own money back. There doesn't seem to be anyone at Flagstar with any common sense. I even suggested that they just send us a certified check via FedEx or UPS and that we would pay for it. BTW...they charged us $30 for an email with our payoff balance! Amazing....and not in a good way. STAY AWAY FROM FLAGSTAR BANK AND THEIR MORTGAGE SERVICES.

Pinned

Terri, thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us.

We apologize that we provided a less-than-ideal experience and would like to address your concerns directly. We value your feedback and hope you'll give us the opportunity to listen and improve.

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2022

Review of the performance of the bank in the following areas:
    1. Sales service = very poor
    2. Customer service = very poor
    3. Online portal = very poor
    4. Staff competency = very poor

5. Accessibility and ease of banking = very poor

DO NOT BANK ON Flagstar Bank.

Pinned

Alok, we would like to address any concerns you have as quickly as possible. If you are willing, please direct message us so we can learn more about your experience. Reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar).

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2022

The customer service never helps me with what I need help with. They sound so annoyed with my questions and are no help with how to fix the current issue. They ask me personal questions about what I’m going to do with my money or one time the employee held onto my money until I told him what I was using it for. This place is very discomforting. This happens every time I call them, not very charming for a banking business. I’ll be removing all my accounts from Flagstaff and I advise you to as well.

Pinned

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback, Racquel. We apologize that we did not satisfy your expectations. Please contact us at (888) 248-6423 during the below times so we can resolve your issue and ensure you have a more positive experience with us going forward.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 3, 2022

Spent almost a month providing all the documentation they asked for. Only to get denied and not even offered to try and adjust the heloc amount just to get my account started. A lot of effort and time wasted.

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2022

I have submitted all documentation on my modification for a new loan to be restructured. But they keep giving me the runaround for the past 2 years and keep accumulating fees. All I want is to is add my past due amount to the back of my loan so I can start fresh but they won’t help me at all to revise it.

Pinned

Ken, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologize that we have provided a less-than-ideal experience. We value your feedback and hope you'll give us the opportunity to listen and improve. Please reach out to our Loan Servicing professionals at (800) 968-7700 during the below times so we can help resolve your issue.

Reviewed Sept. 20, 2022

I needed help with payments. I got divorced and Covid hit. When forbearance was ending, I applied for loss mitigation. I uploaded all of my documents and was still sent letters saying I have something missing. Don't look for much help from this bank. I applied for federal money, got it. Flagstar was sent the money in May. I started calling and was told to check back because the money wasn't there. Every agent I spoke with told me something different. Once I was told the check came in and went back out. I went back and forth with Flagstar and the government agency from May until the end of July.

Finally I got a call back from Flagstar stating the check was sent on July 29th. The check was sent electronically in May. I have documentation. Because the check "could not be found," I'm still behind and my monthly payment has increased! If I needed help with the payment, I would not have asked! Now the payment is has increased by about $100 more monthly. I was sent another option to sign. It was for a 40 year mortgage. It included my ex-husband. This was after I sent a quick claim deed in my name only!

Pinned

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback, Janice. We apologize that we did not satisfy your expectations. Please contact us at (888) 248-6423 during the below times so we can ensure you have a more positive experience with us going forward.

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2022

Account was transferred from Wells Fargo to Flagstar a few years ago. The line of credit was never used. I closed the account per their instructions. No mention was made of any fees to close the account. I then received a statement showing no balance due, then received a letter stating that I owed a five dollar fee. I spoke to four customer service reps during an extended phone call, to no avail. They stated that I owed the fee and that needed to be paid immediately. Even though I do not agree, I attempted to pay the fee while on the phone. After first stating that they could take the payment over the phone, they then decided that they could not. They stated that they couldn't take payment from because my account had a zero balance. What? Absolutely Ridiculous! WORST BANK EVER!! STAY AWAY!!!

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, James. We understand we did not meet your expectations and would like to learn more about your experience. Please contact us at (888) 248-6423 during the below times so we can better understand the situation and find ways to provide you a higher-quality service going forward.

Staff

Reviewed Sept. 16, 2022

As an ** veteran, I am at a lost of words with the pain and heartache Flagstar Bank has inflicted on my family after offering guidance to apply for state assistance with my mortgage only have Flagstar Bank decide to deny the state from providing state assistance to my family. Why offer guidance to a homeowner during a stressful and vulnerable moment, only to stab the homeowner in the back and deny that very same homeowner state assistance.

I live in a majority-minority county, I can only imagine how many other minorities Flagstar Bank has done this to. The history of housing discrimination has a long and painful past towards **, from a home being appraised a different value if the occupant is ** or ** to painful past of redlining to deny minorities the opportunity to purchase in affluent neighborhoods, it is clearly that Flagstar Bank decision to deny state assistance for my mortgage is nothing more than a 21st century style of systemic discrimination.

Pinned

Jerry, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologize that we provided a less-than-ideal experience. We value your feedback and hope you'll give us the opportunity to listen and improve. Please reach out to us at (800) 968-7700 during the below times so we can learn more and make sure you have a more positive experience going forward.

Reviewed Sept. 7, 2022

Let me preface to say that I have two mortgages on two different properties with Flagstar Bank; both CURRENT; both accounts have been and continue to be in GOOD STANDING. In May 2022, Flagstar received a large payment from my Insurance company, due to an unfortunate peril that occurred to one of my properties in Feb. 2022 for the purpose of rebuilding my home. Flagstar, having security interest, placed the funds in temporary escrow to be released for rebuild upon receipt of their required documents.

It is Sept 2022 as I write, and since May 2022 we have been going back and forth with no resolve. I cannot count the endless amount of times that their (three) required documents that are needed before fund disbursement, have been sent to them via email, fax, and/or certified mail, only for them to state that they do not have record of said docs. We submitted all documents requested, the last of the three in July 2022. In following up, we received in turn - long wait hours on the phone (anywhere from a half hour to a hour and a half), being hung up on, and no return calls as promised, etc. This essentially has been on-going since May 2022. One day one representative may acknowledge receipt of a document, the next day another person will state that the same document is missing.

While Flagstar has deliberately withheld my funds for permanent rebuild, my home has since incurred additional damages, as the temporary fixes in February has worn. Flagstar neglect and mishandling of funds is now costing me additional, unnecessary expenses. My last straw in enduring Flagstar's abuse came when after review, they questioned and denied my Building Floor Plan. Said Floor Plan that was crafted by a licensed Architect, a licensed Contractor, and full review and building permitting approval performed by an accredited governing body - Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs.

I have seen the countless other similar complaints. It is not a coincidence. Flagstar has no right to use/misuse my insurance reimbursement funds for their own use, nor on my expense. This practice/abuse MUST STOP! Consumer, please be aware of these practices! I am not interested in a response from Flagstar asking me to call them to discuss further. I have wasted my entire summer 2022 doing so and have gotten nowhere. We are now heading into a new season, Fall. If Flagstar wants a resolve, they should call me, preferrably put everything in writing. To be honest, the ONLY response I am willing to entertain right now from Flagstar is the immediate release of my funds from escrow so that I can start to rebuild my home!

Pinned

Nadia, we understand you are frustrated and would like to address any concerns you have as quickly as possible. If you are willing, please direct message us so we can learn about your experience and how we can better help your situation. Reach out to our team on our Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/flagstarbank) or Twitter page (https://twitter.com/flagstar) so we may put you in touch with a supervisor.

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2022

Worst customer service when it comes to call them. Called 4 times and I have been on hold for 40 minutes each time. If you do not have life or nothing to do call them. If you need a faster service change this bank.

Pinned

Milad, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologize that we provided a less-than-ideal experience. We work hard to ensure every experience you have with our team is a positive one, and we would love to learn more about your situation. Please contact us at (888) 248-6423 during the below times to discuss your visit and how we can work toward improving in the future.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2022

This is a horrible company. We have been going back and forth with them for months. They have made an accounting error on our account and fail to fix it. They send our loan to collections every month and then start calling us. We have been told by several agents in several departments that we are right and are not behind on our payments and that they will make sure it gets fixed, this happens every month and then the following month it starts all over again. Today, after speaking with 5 people, one of whom was unbelievably rude. He was about to transfer me to someone else and I asked who he was transferring me to because the person I had spoken with who transferred me to him said that his was the department I needed. He said, "to the department who will help you" and rudely transferred me in the middle of my sentence.

Finally, while I was in the process of writing this review, after 5 months of nightmare phone calls and after being on the phone today for nearly 5 hours just today, someone who knew what they were doing came on the phone. A woman named Aide very professionally and compassionately spent the time with me for us both to get to the bottom of the problem. It turned out that I did owe the payment but it was because Flagstar misappropriated our payment and then sent it back to us in the form of an escrow overage and did not inform us. While I am very thankful for Aide and her knowledge, compassion and patience in working with me in the frustrated state I was in, I would never want to do business with this company again. If my interest rate was not as good as it is, I would refinance with a different company.

Pinned

Becky, thank you for giving us an opportunity to address your concerns. We're sorry to see you're having issues and would like to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, the best way to resolve your issue is to reach out to someone on our customer service team at (888) 248-6423 during the below times.

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2022

Stay away from this bank! I have spent hours upon hours uploading personal financial documents for a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC). Finally, more than 2 months later they decided to ask for one more document and then said, "We can't approve the HELOC based on zero logic." I have no problem with them rejecting the loan, other than the fact that I have already spent hours tracking down documents and months waiting for a response. If you're going to reject someone be a little quicker about it so they can go explore other options, of which there are MANY in the HELOC business. So with that said, do not waste your time with this bank! Find a bank that moves at a faster pace and lets you know up front everything they will need. Do not give them any personal items before they give you a checklist of EVERYTHING they will need.

Pinned

Robert, thank you for giving us another opportunity to address your concerns. We're sorry to see you're having issues and would like to help you get this resolved as quickly as possible. As we cannot gather your personal information online, the best way to resolve your issue is to reach out to someone on our customer service team at (800) 968-7700 during the below times.

Flagstar Bank Company Information