Fifth Third Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have 3 accounts with 5/3. They charge their monthly account maintenance fees to the account with the LEAST amount of funds and at diverse dates, so they can charge a non-sufficient funds fee of $37 on top of the maintenance fees. They also reject payments to debtors due to "not sufficient" funds, however they still charge the $37 "overdraft fee" for something that has not been paid. On top of that, 5/3 has the unfair and fraudulent practice of paying the "highest amount" first, making the customer incur "unnecessarily overdraft fees" if the payments were paid as they arrived. I would like to bring my case to court. Looking for others who have had problems with this bank to make a class action lawsuit against this bank.

This bank placed a hold on my account and returned items when there was clearly enough money in my account to cover the debits. The return showed "error correction, debit in error," when the error is actually the bank's error. I am have been waiting on a call back from 2 supervisors by the name of Vernetta and Jeannie in which neither have returned my call as promised. I am beyond livid and nothing is being done but lies being told by supervisors that probably aren't supervisors to begin with. Please take your business elsewhere as this bank is horrible. I've had nothing but a horrific experience and my issue still isn't resolved. This bank is unprofessional and they do not take care of their customers! Think twice before putting your money into this bank!

Don't know where they hire people who do not know anything about their job. After 10 years of having a mortgage against my condo at this joke of a bank, received a flurry of letters that they need a hazard insurance from me. So went ahead and bought a condo homeowner insurance which covers personal property/liability and fixtures. Of course, the externals, walls and common areas are covered by the master association. As everybody who works with insurance knows. Except the Fifth Third Bank people who don't have a clue. So they are writing for a thousand's time to tell me now that because I have a loan of certain amount, they need me to pay for insurance that covers the whole amount of the loan. Unbelievable. They spend all money to pay the sales folks and don't have any back office to speak of. The ** service in the banking industry.

I just recently opened up a bank account with this ripoff bank based on the fact that I thought nobody could be worse than Bank of America. I was wrong. They purposely hold transactions to post at a later date even if they are done with a debit card using your PIN number. The fees are outrageous and when you call customer service they are no help whatsoever. I can't wait to get my direct deposit so I can close this account and be done with them. Anyone looking for a decent bank to go to don't look at Fifth Third. They are straight ripoffs. I wish I knew how to start a class action lawsuit against them. They need to pay back all the money they ripped off of people...

DORMANT ACCOUNT-I set up a small saving account of $510 for my young grandchild. I received quarterly statements. I did not get a quarterly statement for the 3rd quarter of the year and when I did get the statement for the 4th quarter. When I did finally get a statement, I realized that I had been charged a fee for a dormant account which then generated another monthly service fee. The monthly service fee was assessed when the account balance was less than $500. By the time I did get a statement I had been charged $75. I was told that they were not required to send a notice to dormant account which may be the FDIC regulations. However, I would think that they were required to send a notice to me prior to the account become dormant. Nevertheless, this is certainly a poor business policy. I guess interest rates are down so they need to rip off their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

I have a car loan through this bank. They did not process my payment because it was not the full amount, including insurance that they added, which doubled my payment. My car has been insured since day one and has never had a change to it. This was an excuse to get more money. Long story short, they repossessed my vehicle and would not release it until I paid the insurance fees or proved my insurance had not changed. My insurance sent them a declaration page a couple of times on day 1. It took them 2 and a half weeks to remove those fees. Meanwhile, my car was still repossessed, and I was left without a vehicle the entire time. When I picked my vehicle up from the repo lot, it had been damaged. This bank had been a complete nightmare to deal with. Every single time I called, I would get a different story and a different amount owed. DO NOT trust this bank. I do not understand how they are still in business.

My advice is that no one, EVER do business with this bank who wishes to protect their own sanity and assets. I could fill up this page with great examples of how completely frustrating and incompetent this bank is - in training its employees to give correct answers, in taking responsibility for their own errors, in setting up user friendly online services or solving the simplest of issues when they arise without having to explain your problem to as many people and departments as there are dollars in your account. BUT, instead I'll just use ONE EXAMPLE and refer you to the other complaints herein regarding this bank. You should get a pretty clear idea from the volume of complaints here.

In short: I closed my checking account. Prior to this closing, I set up an automatic draft, initiated monthly from my 5/3rd checking, to an External account, to be deposited in the 5/3rd checking account, and these funds were then be used to pay an equity line also held with 5/3rd Bank. I was told by closing the checking account, ALL External transfers or ANY business related to the 5/3rd checking account would also end - so the draft would stop, since the account was closed. Makes sense, right?

BUT, because I already had problems with Fifth-Third ANY time I had contacted or done business with them, I was adamant that they confirm this MANY times in the conversation to close the account. Yep- they repeatedly said, closing the account was ALL I needed to do. Next thing you know there's an email alerting me to the initiation of a draft request from 5/3rd Bank to my External account - which of course is going to transfer back to a nonexistent account.

So, I called. And I'm told just to ignore that email, ignore that draft attempt. They say they can clearly see the account is closed on their end, so even if the draft attempt did result in money being taken out of my external account - and by the way, they had no problem seizing money from my External account, and had no additional input in how to stop it from happening even knowing they'd have no place to put the funds. (So, are you getting this? They don't have a problem with taking my money from an account - just letting MY MONEY roll around in cyberspace for a while and I'm just supposed ignore how completely unnecessary and WRONG that is, not to mention the effect in my other balances! Unbelievable!) "Just don't worry. It's all going to become a wash. Nothing Else for you to do. It'll work its way through our system. I however was not as certain.

Next comes the email that the draft was unsuccessful - as we all know it would be - and alerting me that this is a real problem! (Yeah. No kidding.) I call again. Same - nothing else to do, ignore the emails. But they keep coming so finally I just tell my external bank to put a Stop Payment in anything Fifth-Third is trying to draft out if my external accounts.

Next - I get a bill from Fifth-Third with a $35 charge for those drafts they attempted to grab and put in my closed accounts. So, I call. I said this is the short version, right? Okay - so abbreviating - I explain the issue to Person 1, who has to transfer me to the actual loan department, I explain to person 2, but he actually is in the wrong loan department. He transfers me to Person 3, but she knows the issue because Person 2 kindly explained it so I didn't have to go through that AGAIN. She removed the $35 charge.

But SHE can't stop the draft requests from continuing, "And in a those calls Ma'am, no one explained you have to call the Automatic Payment Department to stop those drafts?" (Argh!) So, now I must talk to Person 4. Person 4 stops the draft requests. Person 3 removed the charge. Person 2 realized it was the wrong department. Person 1 transferred me to the wrong person. An hour and a half of my life GONE (because of holds and repeating myself umpteen times).

Did I mention the home-equity line took SIX MONTHS TO CLOSE, because they kept asking me for the same documents I had already sent, until I finally just kept the file of documents I knew that they would PROBABLY be asking for again in about three weeks? Or, that once I had actually gotten the 50k equity line, I quickly learned one can only draw out $2000 at a time/per month! (WHAT? Even though I had contractors in my house that were asking for $10,000 at the end of each stage if the works completion?)

Or that the 5/3rd loan representative who recommend THIS loan knew how I intended to use it! Or that he was fired for not providing me with all the disclosures and info I needed or was entitled to by law (and which if I had had, I wouldn't have processed to get the loan at all)? Or that despite their more or less acknowledging I was pursuing and had in fact entered into a loan under the false impression the rate would be lower than what they finally locked in - they refused to adjust my rate or let me out if the loan or restructure it? Or that that took 6 phone calls (with no result and a different reason for the problem every time) before I finally had to physically go to a branch to draw out the funds I needed for the purpose of remodeling? Just don't. Don't EVER do business with this bank.

Had an account (2) checking and savings at this excuse for a bank. Came into branch to close accounts, however they only closed savings account not checking. I then get a statement from bank that they took out my money because my account was dormant. They took everything $100.00. Am a senior citizen and can't afford this. Anyway, they never notified me that they were taking my money. They said that they "don't send statements to dormant accounts". Duh. How was I to know they were stripping my account on a monthly basis? Duh again.

We have had nothing but trouble with this bank since we opened our account. We have had our checks rejected, debit card rejected and checks held causing NSFs, causing us embarrassment and loss of our hard earned money due to their NSF fees THEY CAUSED and then kept! Mind you at the time of the check rejections there was over 20k in our account! I highly recommend anyone and everyone, CHOOSE ANOTHER BANK! This one inept and potentially unethical.

We have a number of ACs with Fifth Third and due to the balances are some kind of "preferred" customer. Various personal bankers at Fifth Third (they come and go a lot) have tried to convince me to try their special MC, more points, etc. than what I have been getting from Chase. It was clear, I only redeem for cash, a credit to my CC. The first cycle, we got 5,131 points. Doing a quick and dirty computation to what I would have received from Chase, which would have been about 4,000, seemed pretty good on the surface.

When I went to redeem, it was another story. If I get a statement from Chase and say it has 5,131 points, I can immediately redeem $51.31 as a credit to my CC. No constraints other than a 2,000 point or $20.00 minimum redemption restriction. Fifth Third only offers redemption in $25 increments. When I tried to redeem $50 with Fifth Third, it wouldn't allow it. Got busy, and said, "The heck with it, will do it next month."

So next billing cycle with 8,000 plus points, tried again. I did, but it took 8,000 points to get a $50 credit. In short, 100 points with Chase is worth $1.00. A 100 points with Fifth Third is worth 62.5 cents for cash redemption purposes. 5131 points with Fifth Third is worth about $32. 4,000 points with Chase is worth $40. Live and learn, back to Chase. The bad or sad part is I truly doubt the PB lady knew she was doing me a disservice. They are trained, or semi-trained, to hawk the cards and other services, they probably know nothing about the backside.

I am a CPA with 28 years experience. Currently retired, I review my three daughters escrow account adjustments annual and rarely have an issue. This year I have had considerable difficulty with Fifth Third bank. The adjustment is two fold, one is for increases in payments made out of escrow and the adjustment if those payouts (property taxes, insurance, etc) increase. The second piece is the cushion the bank can legally maintain, two months of average payouts. The next year projection shows updated payments into escrow and estimated payouts identifying any month where the cushion is not projected to be achieved.

The difficulty is that the letter firstly projects the escrow balance at the end of the current year and the next year projection should begin with this amount. Sometimes it is off a little if the bank receives updated information. My daughter's beginning balance in the 2017 projection was $334 lower than the ending balance in the 2016 projection, creating a month with a $368 shortage in cushion.

My only question, which Fifth Third could not explain, is why the amount decreased. They told me the difference was due to an increase of $80 in property insurance. When I stated that this did not account for a $334 difference, they were rude and inferred that I was stupid since there was no other way to explain the difference. I eventually was able to calculate what they did which was to make a small adjustment of $37.55 for changes in insurance and decrease the beginning 2017 balance by exactly the amount of the November 2016 payment into escrow.

I have emailed this explanation to them since they will not return my calls and am mailing a letter asking them to revise the escrow payment amount. This has been extremely frustrating and when I believe they have understood that there is a problem I have been put on hold or told they will call me back. The last person I dealt with was a supervisor in their mortgage department who refused to give me her last name (first name Jamie) was rude and insulting. My concern is that this is a new practice of theirs and will generate cash of hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars and inflate their capital and surplus reporting to the federal and state government in their annual statutory reports.

This company is awful with Customer Assistance and communication of dispute.... On September 16, 2016 I withdrawn money from Chase account, which is at the opposite corner of Fifth Third Bank which I am with both companies. So I walk to fifth third after withdrawing $300.00 to pay my credit card with Fifth Third. So I go through the drive thru and deposit my money into the ATM machine. The whole entire machine went blank.

I called for assists at the machine and the bank teller (Shannon) tells me "Sorry we've been having glitch issues with those machines about a month or so." I stated to her "I just deposit 280.00 into it and I'm trying to pay my credit card. What am I suppose to do now?" She states for me to come in and she'll pull up my account information to see if it deposit. She checks the system nothing has yet been posted so she says calmly, "Check it in a few hours and if it doesn't post check it tomorrow." So I'm like "Okay can you put the rest of what I have in my hand into my account?" So she does it and afterwards gives me a receipt and a piece of paper with the the ATM Dispute number and the BC#.

I check the next day no money posted so I give a call to the dispute claims department I give full details as to what happened and she tells me my money will be put into my account in 24 hours. Let's just say I never got it and she put my dispute in on the wrong date which was (September 17, 2016) which it suppose to have been (September 16). I had to wait up to 45 days for information about my case just for them to have did a audit on the wrong date and I never received a statement that I have been denied by email nor mail so on November 4 I have to put in another dispute in at the same location in person.

I had the Dispute representative on phone & the bank tellers across from me explaining what happened that day to the dispute representative. I was told it would take 14 days. Guess what? It took up to 21 days and I still got denied even with written statement from the Lead customer service representative who was there when all of this had taken place and I was told that even with a written statement that I wouldn't receive my money. But I'm receiving constant back to back calls from representatives about me making a payment towards my account. But yet I have no written statement that I still have been denied on neither case yet.

We wanted to open an investment account with 5/3. I had talked about this with them for some time, arranged for money to be transferred, etc.. They keep messing up - missed an appointment, did not make a copy of legal documents, etc.. Now, they say they are wondering if this account is the best for us? Are they kidding?

Recently made a check deposit (on a Friday) from another institution through 5/3rd's mobile app. I was advised through a letter received a week later (the next Friday) that the deposit would be held for 10 days (from the date of deposit). However, the check had cleared the institution from which it was written and the money withdrawn by 5/3rd on the next business day (a Monday). However, 5/3rd would not credit the deposit to my account until the 10 days had passed.

Since I have purchased my car 4 1/2 years ago, not once have they sent a statement in the mail. Recently I had a few family emergencies pop up, second car broke down, death in family etc. Because I had paid my car payments late, I thought it was no big deal, and didn't think I would have to have a car repossession added to my list of setbacks. Well they repossess my car before I even get out of bed the day after Thanksgiving! Conveniently they were closed on the day they took my car. There was NO way to know where they took my car or anything since it was a holiday weekend. I had to drain my bank account to get my car back. The repossession fees were close to $700! For the next three months I will have higher than normal car payments that they will deduct from my checking account at their leisure. I had to miss a day of work to get my car back, so this creates another set back.

Because they drained my bank account with their enormous fees, I am unable to pay my electric bill, phone bill, water bill, car insurance. I just recently lost my mother. They take my car drain my bank account. Now I am left in the cold without electricity or water for who knows how long. I understand the payment was late, and take responsibility for using my money on attending a funeral. For them to not send any warning or phone call, not even a knock on my door is not only unethical, it is downright evil. I regret doing business with them. If you never intend to have an emergency, and will never be late this may be the bank for you. If you are a real human and have occasional emergencies, or ever have to be late on a payment, please stay far far away.

I have been with Fifth Third Bank for about a year now. And about six months ago I started somehow over drawing my account. Or so I thought! They have been taking out $111.00 dollars out of my account every single time I got to a 20.00 dollar balance! I am a truck driver, I don't make that much money and they steal from me. What I don't understand is that when I called them to get an understanding as to why they are taking that much money from me, they said because I keep over drawing my account! Which is a lie! I have kept track of my account every single day! These people are thieves! Do NOT I mean do NOT choose this bank, just whatever you do. Don't because they'll steal your money too. I'm getting rid of this bank as soon as I get home!

When I moved to a state that did not have Fifth Third branches, I tried to close my accounts. It has been months, and I still cannot close my accounts successfully. Because I was out of state, I was told I had to send paperwork directly to the branch. I received the papers in the mail and promptly sent them back. I waited about a month, and never received confirmation that the forms were received, or a check for the remaining funds I wanted to liquidate. Following that, I emailed the bank several times to follow up. For more than a month, I went back and forth trying to close the accounts to no avail. I then learned that I could liquidate the funds via an external transfer. If my balance was exactly at zero, they could close the accounts online without the need to work with the local branch. However, as soon as I did that, I incurred significant overdraft fees - one fee was $50. There were others as well.

In addition to the overdraft fees, I incurred several months of fees for not having the minimal balance. I realize those are the terms I agreed to when I opened the account months ago, but given that I had been trying to close the account for months (and that was the reason for a low balance), I find those fees excessive and unfair. I am extremely frustrated with the process. Now, I have incurred a significant amount of fees and still have not successfully closed the accounts. I will never, ever, do my banking with Fifth Third again because of the challenges doing banking online, the lack of customer-centered customer service, and the excessive, unfair fees.

My father banked at Fifth Third, and lucky for him he didn't know that they would refuse to allow my mother, his widow, access to his accounts. It has been over a year, and they have refused to even send a statement or tax documents to my mother. In fact, it took over a year for them to admit an account existed, despite the fact that I traveled across the country to provide a certified death certificate in person as they demanded. And they now want my 80-year old mother suffering from dementia to do the same. I don't know if they're incompetent or if they're thieves, and it doesn't really make a difference. It is sad that in a time when big banks are gobbling up most of the smaller ones that one of the few remaining regional banks is treating customers far worse than its larger competitors. I would think twice about choosing to deposit money in this bank.

On Nov 09, 2016 was using my debit card to withdraw funds 200.00. Balance was over 4000 dollars in account. When card was entered message said security violation and card was confiscated by machine. Went in to bank, manager Steve said since it's not a Fifth Third card that I would have to contact Brink's. There was no help in retrieving my card. Was told to cancel card and get another from my bank. Could not retrieve funds from my account. Had to cancel my card and of course all of the accounts associated with the card. Fifth Third does not know their own policies and could care less for a positive resolution of my complaints. Could not retrieve card or withdraw funds from my account. Would not return my card even though I had all positive forms of identification verifying my person. Do not trust Fifth Third.

To those who own a Fifth Third Bank 360 card there is an issue going on. I purchased a power supply board for a TV (Ordered September 15, 2016 - order # ** for $71.49) from Amazon.com. All this that I am going to write, is because I have contacted Amazon and Fifth Third Bank 3-way calling. When you purchase something at Amazon.com, Amazon then contacts the bank to obtain an authorization. So, the authorization is approved, the part is available, Amazon ships the part, and after the part is shipped, that is when Amazon charges the card, not before. The bank then debits the money for the purchase, but here is where the problem starts. The bank also hold the same amount, which is the authorization for 10 days, so if you had $100 in the card, the part cost $80, you are suppose to have $20 left on the card, but it's not like that.

Since the bank is holding the $80 for the authorization, you are now negative $60 (holding the $20 + $60 that you are supposedly owe, and you cannot use the card to purchase anything less than $20, because you are in the negative amount. Remember, you are in the negative number because the bank is holding the authorization process. Calling Fifth Third Bank is USELESS and FRUSTRATED. Not only that, when I called Fifth Third Bank, since the REP was not able to do anything, she got pissed off and after about 15 minutes on the phone, she said "Since there nothing that I can do, have a nice day" and hung up (I was FURIOUS). The bank blames Amazon, and having Amazon on the line as well, they say everything shows correctly. The bank is the one holding the authorization and the bank WILL NOT release it for 10 days, NO MATTER WHAT.

Update: It happened again. I do a lot of purchases from Amazon, and again, Amazon shows everything correctly on their end. I purchased two items from Amazon. One item amount was $15.30 and the other item amount was $10.37. ORDER # ** for amount $15.30. ORDER # ** for amount $10.37. I have attached the bank information where it shows what I'm talking about. Amazon contacted Fifth Third Bank and asked for authorization and it was approved. Amazon already shipped the items, so it will show debited under Posted Transactions, but take a look at the Pending Transactions, it is showing the hold for $10.37 and $15.30.

Those two amounts will be release in 10 days, but my question is WHY in 10 days if Amazon already charged the card? So, I am STUCK with the negative amount on the card, until those two amounts are released. Unless, I transfer some money to it, then I will have a positive amount, and when the authorization releases, then you will have more money on the card, but in the meantime, you got no money there.

I requested a new debit card almost 3 weeks ago. They took the 10 fee out on the 24th of October. Was told 5 to 7 business days. As of yet no card. Every time I call they tell me that since it's under my wife's name (my account) they cannot tell me anything. Today a personal banker from the bank told me that she was going to order a new card be sent to the bank itself that my wife should have her card within 2 to 3 days. Will see...

Been depositing to my checking account from my PayPal account for years without any charges then today I deposited $65 to my checking account from my PayPal account and got charged 45 cents. Really now you start charging me for depositing money into my checking. Been doing this for years no charges. I guess they wanted to try to find a way to make new money. I guess the house wins every time. Now you get charged eBay fees then PayPal fees, now Fifth Third fees - guess everyone wants to drink from the well.

I would never imagined to have run into a problem such as mine until now. Have been with Fifth Third Bank for almost 5 years now and have never been late on any payments. As a matter of fact, we pay a little extra each month so it ends up being a 13th pmt for the year. I had made a payment in June 2016 via billpay and it was short $15.**. Received a notice from them that it was "past due". Called in and rep was not able to resolve so I talked to a supe. He figured a solution that he would shift the extra payments I've been making to make up the difference. It would be backdated to the June pmt and all would be fine. Two months later, I received a notice that the account is past due for 2 pmts. Now mind you, the mortgage payment goes out like clockwork via billpay. AND I have never been late on any of my credit accts since establishing it when I was in college over 25 yrs ago!

Called in and finally got a supe and she assured me it would be resolved to my satisfaction. Weeks go by but no word. Called in and left messages. Finally talked to her and she says since there is no record of the call I had made. They would not honor what they promised to do and let my account show 2 mths late!! Talked to her manager and he kept going in circles. Didn't care about my stellar payment history or believed me when I told him that HIS supervisor would take care of it when I originally called in back in June. Now I am left to dispute this inaccurate reporting on my credit and finding out that it's dinged me almost 100 points! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK!! TRUST THESE REVIEWS.

I have never in my life walk into a bank and the tellers be so rude and make you feel so unimportant. Today I walk into a fifth third bank in Charleston WV and it was terrible. The tellers makes you feel like you're on their time. I thought maybe it was just the bank in Detroit, so I couldn't wait to get back home. Then I found out it's just fifth third, period... They make you go through double doors that lock you in which I feel is unnecessary. It's those miserable employees people. They know that is robbie fifth third. I have been to every fifth third in the Charleston WV area and they are all the same - you're on their time. I ** hate Fifth Third. Can't wait to go to another bank Can't leave yet but soon... Thank God I will never have to see those rude ** people again...

I transferred money from my GoFundMe acct to help pay for transportation and moving expenses. As I am a single, disabled mom of an autistic disabled 19 yr old... The money $329 (as it was $360 but GoFundMe charges to pull $$) transferred to my checking acct and as soon as it did Fifth Third Bank pulled it to pay my Easy Access Acct as they said it showed as a "direct deposit" and there is nothing we can do. I DIDN'T KNOW IT WOULD SHOW AS DIRECT DEPOSIT! They didn't care!!!

In 2012, my mother had a stroke. After a very difficult year with her in rehab and needing constant care, we found a wonderful place for her to live. She went to Sedgebrook in Lincolnshire, IL. Within Sedgebrook was a branch for Fifth Third bank. Because she could no longer drive, we thought that opening up an account for her there would make her life easier. Because she was having trouble writing anything (she also developed Parkinson's), I told her I would help her with her banking. I drove her to the larger branch in Lincolnshire and we set up a joint checking account so that I could help her write checks if need be.

She received a debit card that was also a credit card (she did not want the credit card, but they sent her one anyway). While I thought that was odd, she seemed ok with it and we never thought anything of it. A few months after that, I received a Fifth Third credit card in my name. I did not want another credit card, so I shredded it.

On January 3rd of this year, Mom passed away. As you can imagine, I had many calls to make to cancel credit cards, shut down bills etc. My husband and I chose to keep her checking account open for several months, as we knew she had some automatic charges and we didn't want to close it until we were sure that everything was paid. In April, I called the Lincolnshire branch of Fifth Third and told them that I thought we should close the account, as there hadn't been any new charges for a long time. They said they would close the checking account, but that I had to call a center on the east coast to close her credit card out. It took me eight calls to get in touch with the person that was evidently the only one I could talk to. When we finally talked, he said it would be closed (I had to fax a death certificate to him).

A few weeks later, I received a credit card bill with my name on it (not my mother's at all) with late fees and interest. I called the local branch and asked them to explain what this was for, as I had never opened a charge card and had never charged anything. They told me that there had been a charge that had come in from Blue Cross Blue Shield that had created an overdraft of $47 and that they had charged the money to Mom's account. I called Blue Cross, who apologized for their error immediately and sent a refund for their charge.

Then I called the bank again; I spoke to the manager there, who apologized profusely and said that it was just a matter of poor timing, that they had charged overdraft fees to Mom's credit card because her checking account was closed. Since he was the man who opened the account for us in the first place, and who I went to see when Mom passed away, I was surprised that they had done this. However, I was too exhausted to battle it because he told me if I just brought over a check for $47, he would make sure everything was handled and finalized with all accounts closed. So, I took time off work and drove a check over.

Here's where it gets worse. A few weeks later, I get a credit card statement again, but this time with my name on it and late fees and penalties. I call Fifth Third bank and speak with an agent who apologized profusely and promised that he would reverse everything and we would never see another charge again. He said they sometimes have issues with their systems not understanding what needs to happen. He also confirmed that there hadn't been any purchases on that card since my Mom passed, so it was clear they were charging interest and fees on other interest and fees with no actual purchases. I believed it was finally over.

The next month, I get another statement with new fees on it, again to my name. I call again. An hour later, the woman I spoke to said, "Oh I see the issue, the first agent didn't correct this properly." She tells me she feels bad, that I should never have to go through all this and to be patient, that it's all fixed. Skeptical, I hang up with hope that the ordeal is over.

Next month, SAME THING! More fees and interest. I call again, this time I can't control myself. I started crying in frustration because it keeps happening. This time it's a young man who I ask how in the hell this happened anyway, since I never filled out a credit card application, I never activated an account and I never charged a thing. He told me he could see that was true and that it shouldn't have happened. I asked him if they had a habit at Fifth Third of just opening accounts for people. He said "Absolutely not." I then said "How did this happen." He said he didn't know but it was clearly a mistake and he would fix it.

GUESS WHAT??? I just got another statement with a charge of $1. I called, spoke with an agent who transferred me to another agent who said I needed to write a letter. So I do. Today, I'm looking at their response that said that they had Conclusive evidence that I conducted the transaction. What transaction? For $1? On a card I don't even have and HAVE NEVER USED???

They go on to say that "Unfortunately, based on this information, we are unable to approve your claim, and no adjustment will be made to your credit card account. Payment will be due in accordance with the provisions of the cardholder agreement." In other words, they will once again continue this insanity and charge fees and finance charges on a card I NEVER OPENED and have NEVER USED and have been promised FOUR TIMES that they would close it. I feel like I'm going crazy. My credit score is an 835. I have never experienced anything like this. They are going to impact my credit and I can't seem to do anything about it. Please, please help me. I've never felt so helpless. All because I wanted to help my Mom when she couldn't do anything for herself.

It appears that 1) they opened a charge card in my name without my permission; 2) charged fees and interest to that card that would have been my Mom's; 3) they've admitted EVERY time that all charges were a mistake; 4) I started this process in April and just got another statement. They will not close the account; and 4) they keep trying to get me to pay fees that they keep saying, when I call, that are a mistake and they promise each time to reverse.

Yesterday morning I happily walked into a Fifth Third Bank branch and paid in cash the payoff amount for my auto loan initiated in 2011. After 5 years of on-time and complete payments, I was excited to have the vehicle paid off and have my title electronically released so I could go to the DMV to print my title. I had two interested buyers looking to purchase the vehicle that afternoon.

I now understand that Fifth Third will not electronically release my title for a minimum of 10 business days. After discussions with the highest ranking position I could speak to on the customer support lines, and receiving timeline indications ranging from "this afternoon" to "at least 15 days" from different people along the chain of command, the supervisor indicated that this timeline of 10 days is in place to allow for processing time of the final payment. My final payment was made in cash, at Fifth Third Bank, with a receipt in hand and a printscreen of my account balance as $0. The supervisor then indicated that she could contact the collateral department to "expedite the process" but that this would be email communication only and could take several days to confirm whether not expedition was possible (negating any expedition potential).

I cannot believe that there is no internal communication capabilities that can produce faster results than 1-3 business days for response. I also cannot believe that there are no alternatives to this 10 day policy for payment processing, especially when paying off in cash. I have never experienced this kind of delay with any other bank. Due to the delay, both buyers are no longer interested because I can not produce a title.

I've had a car loan through this bank for nearly six years. I am nearing the final payment and it occurred to me that I've never, not once received a statement, not even an annual one. I called requesting a statement and was told they don't do that. So if someone were using a car for business there is no statement to claim the deduction. When I used my own amortization schedule, the interest rate I was quoted by the dealership does not match the payment amount they came up with. Are fees added to my loan without my knowledge? I'd have no idea since they were so uncooperative. I finally insisted they send me a statement and all I got was a payoff amount! Never in my life have I seen a more unprofessional finance company! My next car purchase will be financed elsewhere no matter how low their interest since I can't trust them. Don't deal with this pitiful bank!

I opened some business accounts and personal accounts with 5/3 in early 2015. To sum things up, 5/3 makes my negative experiences with my previous bank, (JPM Chase), seem like a picnic. Looking forward, this bank will hopefully face a worse wrath than Wells Fargo... (perhaps actual indictment?) In a nutshell, 5/3 seems to have raised the bar on the ways and the extents to which they can financially rape their patrons. In the short time I have been with 5/3, I have had a personal credit card account opened, without my knowledge or permission, incurred so many "overdraft fees on top of overdraft fees," that those I tell, think would be impossible. Nope, they got away with this, and more.

Additionally, I have been lied to and disrespected by numerous 5/3 representatives when I tried to gain resolution to any of the aforementioned problems. Seems like 5/3 is going to keep raping its customers until, or unless they get a major, million-dollar-smack from a consumer affairs advocacy, class action attorneys, the senate banking committee, and of course, Wall Street. Of course, prison time for the primary orchestrating Bank$tas of 5/3 would be great. Peace. :-)

I frequently would do cash deposits at the ATM since it was convenient for me. One day the machine shut down in the middle of my transaction. After about 10 min of waiting I went into the branch and they told me there was nothing they could do but if I call the dispute number they would see that the machine was over and put the deposit in my account. They credit my account that day and then a month later took the money back. I called. They told me that the machine wasn't off. I asked them if it would have given it to the person who came after me and they told me it was impossible. They could see me on camera doing a transaction, I know they could see in their system that I chose deposit.

After arguing with the Rep for 15 min (he basically called me a liar, that I could have just said I did a deposit) I asked for a supervisor who told me to reach out to the branch manager because they get daily ATM reports to see if he had something different than what they had. Well he did find that his report showed that the machine was off $40 instead of the $60 I deposited, which at this point I was willing to let the $20 go. Well, it's been almost two weeks and they received the branch manager documentation and they still haven't put the money in my account and every-time I call they have an attitude and tell me they have up to 14 days to resolve the matter.

Fifth Third Bank Company Profile