1.09/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 24, 2018

761 Fifth Third Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

I started banking with Fifth Third in 2009. Back then 53 covered ATM costs. Now a 53 account holder can be charged up to 3 times for withdrawing from an ATM. There were no charges for periodic NSF on an account. Now NSF charges are $40 and a charge will be denied. So Fifth Third Bank has gotten into the business of stealing. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Someone in FL using my social number. Fifth Third slipped and told me about it yet refused to do anything about it. They said they had to protect the person in Florida using my social security for their account.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I went into the "77 Center drive" location here in Charlotte NC. I had just got my refund and was going to withdraw $4000 from my account. As I'm standing in line to get my money the teller notices the balance on my account and informs me that I qualified for an installment loan with them because of the funds I had available, I said, "Okay well what does that mean?" (**) said to me, "Well this installment loan will help your credit and I can get your monthly payments to be really low." I said, "Okay well what do I need to do?" He said, "Nothing. Go take a seat and I'll get right with you." (At the teller line ) not in an office. So I sat about 5 minutes and he called me back up and said, "Okay Ms. ** I've printed out all that papers. Let's go sign and we'll get you going." We went into the office and I started signing forms, he showed me where my monthly payments on the loan would be like $50.00 so I was okay with that.

I said to him in the midst of signing the papers "That's great, a $2,000 loan with 50 dollar payments? In shock 'cause no one else would approve me for a loan because of my credit." He said, "No worries. We're able to help even with where your score is right now," so I finished up all the papers, remembering that I initially came in to withdraw the $4000. I said, "Okay well I still need to withdraw the 4000 and I'll be done." He paused and said, "Well the application has to be approved and then they'll release the funds." In confusion I said, "What do you mean? If you offered me a loan what am I waiting on?" He said "the initial 2000 that you gave was Collateral" for the loan, and I stopped and said, "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" He said, "Yeah this is an installment loan with collateral." I said, "Why are you JUST NOW EXPLAINING THAT? Why in the hell would I put up $2000 of MY MONEY to make payments on it right now?" He said, "Oh no don't worry they're gonna approve it and you'll have funds as soon as they do." I said, "Are you freaking kidding me dude? I just explained why I was in here and what I needed the money for, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?" He sat in silence and then said, "You'll thank me in 4 years when your score goes up?" Lol like are you serioussss? So I complained to the assistant branch manager about it and she said she would take care of it. Here we are 4 days later, I'm still out of my 2000 and no one seems to care. I HATE 5/3 and recommend NO ONE to bank with them.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I used the ATM and there was a negative balance of 5.50 for the use of non Fifth Third ATM and I was charged a 37.00 overdraft fee because of the fees they charge. The bank will not budge in removing this fee. I have spoken with 3 supervisors in which all have been terrible. This is a terrible thing to do to your customers but when you call customer service and get no service that makes the situation worse. Candace, Jaime and Sara all claimed to have been supervisors and they were downright rude and did nothing to assist me. I am looking for another bank to do business with as this sneaky way to charge overdraft fees are an unfair practice and I will not let this go.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Every time I turn around they have a reason to charge for something else. They always fix the issue but it's a total pain to deal with time after time again. Employees who seem clueless about their job. The things they've done to me is a book in itself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: April 15, 2018

We are 71 years old and traveled to Ohio last week. We stopped at a Fifth Third Bank for some cash for our trip home. They shredded our card. Left us stranded 350 miles from home. Called my bank to make sure nothing was wrong with my card. It was in good standing. Fifth Third Bank's customer support told me if my card was not with their bank they shred your card. My card was listed on the front of the atm. With my card shredded we could not get gas, motel, or food.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have a checking account. The times that I have called, and it has been several because there is always some kind of problem with my card, customer service is uncooperative, self-serving and downright nasty. Do not ever try to ask for any kind of help, or ever question their tactics. You will get nowhere. Fifth Third is always right no matter what. I am in the process of switching to a different bank, as I just cannot take them anymore!

Original review: April 11, 2018

I am very disturbed to find out that my bank has scripted lies that are told to customers by bank employees. I noticed the money being deposited into my account was not matching up to my credit card from purchases. I called to see what was going on multiple times. My employer identification number was wrong on my account. After a letter was received from Fifth Third, no call, no email. They just all of a sudden started withholding 24 percent of my money. I made 6 calls in total and the response every time which come to find out is a scripted lie was the IRS has the money and that I would be unable to get it back until the end of the tax year.

I called the IRS to see if I could use the money to pay employee withholdings. I mean why not? They had my money according to a scripted lie. The nice gentleman from the IRS was even disturbed by their lies and told me that according to IRS code 3406 the bank did not have to hold the money once the error was fixed. So far I spent around 6 hours on the phone to get to the bottom of their scripted lie of which it took 5 minutes for me to receive their fax, fill it out, and return it. Took 24 hours for them to receive my fax then I was told it would take 3 to 5 business days to stop taking my money. My case was sent to be reviewed. I was told if they did approve me getting my money back it would take 7 to 10 business days. Also I have been a customer since 1999.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I purchase my vehicle through a dealership on 10/20/2015 which I was approved on a 60 month loan with Fifth Third Bank. Upon agreement the bank would need registration and proof of insurance to grant approval of the loan. I then provided Fifth Third with the documents required. Within a month of owning the vehicle they called and sent me letters threatening to tack on thousand of dollars to my loan for insurance that was already provided, I had to go out of my way to have my insurance agent then fax insurance information for a second time. This was time consuming for me and shows lack of professionalism and organization skills from a lender. I then paid my loan on time every month until February 12th 2018 when I paid the entire loan off in full, 44 months EARLY.

With my account reflecting a balance of $0.00 for 6 weeks I then get called on April 2nd 2018 from Fifth Third Bank stating I owe them $0.29 (twenty nine cents) in interest and that the payment is late. I explained to numerous representatives the online account I use with Fifth Third reflects a balance of $0.00, I am then told the online account does not reflect the daily interest incurred by Fifth Third, which I asked how is that my fault that your online banking does reflect a true balance... I only get "I'm sorry" from the reps with no resolve but for me to pay the $0.29 that I owe them. I went online to pay the 29 cents and it will not accept payment because the balance reflects $0.00 and the only way for me to pay this petty absurd interest rate fee is to give all my information over the phone to their poor customer service reps. I highly do not recommend such an unprofessional, unorganized lender.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I had made a mistake and deposited the wrong check and didn't make an withdraw from it and the bank didn't suffer any loss. I went to the bank and the manager agreed that it was a legitimate mistake. Well instead of following the recommendation of the bank manager they closed my account anyway, wow. Don't make a mistake with this bank.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Home refinance (VA) - Went on for four months prior to my cancelling. Every week they would call and ask for more paperwork when they should have told me up front all that they needed. I talked to so many bank personnel. I still do not know who the loan officer was. My home has its current mortgage through them. It should have been easy? Often went weeks without my being able to contact anyone. I was told on three different occasions that the loan was sent to the underwriter and it should be a few days. Lies? I am starting process anew with another bank. This cost me a lot of money. I have a very high current mortgage rate. I recommend not to use them.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I deposited a check for $1,900 to my savings account a week ago. I come home to a letter stating that I failed to sign the back of the check. All I had on it was deposit only. You would think that if I'm depositing a check and it says deposit only and I am using my mobile device. The check has my name on it that it wouldn't be a problem that they should go ahead and deposit it but they didn't. That's okay. So I take the check and I sign the back of it and I deposited through an ATM and of course I get a receipt for it only to find out that they deducted the $1,900 that I had just deposited.

I called the bank today and they tell me that it wasn't my signature that it was kicked back and I will receive a letter that I need to bring to a banker. I am pissed. It is my signature and it's my money that they are messing with. This is not my first mishap with this bank. I have been banking with them for a very long time and have several accounts with them that I may now withdrawal. It is absolutely the poorest customer service.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Their entire bonus program is a complete scam! I won't bore you with all the details. Basically, after researching everything you need to do to get the $200, you are then contacted about having to open up a credit card. You need to spend $500 every month without fail. You also need to maintain a $1,500 daily minimum balance without fail. None of this was disclosed. The only thing said was that you have 45 days to build up your account with $500, that's all! I immediately transferred money out of my other bank into this bank.

It took nearly 4 days to show up. After trying to contact them regarding all of these requirements, they did a skipiddy doodah type of dance around. Now I've been trying to get my $500 back and 5 days have passed with it pending. They said I have a $3 service fee that needs to be paid for the transfer which was stated when I initiated the transfer. THERE WAS NO SUCH DISCLOSURE!!! Suntrust Bank and many other banks do not charge you for sending money to other banks - WOW!!! I told them to take their damned $3 and send me the $497 and close this account. Now waiting to see what other BS I run into. STAY AWAY - they are simply devious to lure people in for something they have no intention on honoring.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I purchased a new car from a local Toyota dealership. I have been paying my auto loan payment each month. We have made four extra full payments on the auto loan. When I inquired about the balance that is still due it gives me the amount that would be if I had not made any extra (full) payments. When you inquire about the discrepancy in the balance due... they can't tell you. Lesson learned. NEVER use this bank for an auto loan!!! Beware. Don't make extra payments... You may not get credit for it on your balance due.

Original review: March 20, 2018

So this bank has an overdraft policy where you can sign up for overdraft you know if you need a couple dollars here there every once in awhile that you can get it even if you have nothing in your account. So they definitely don't have a problem with overcharging you for everything and then God forbid you do actually need a couple hundred bucks here and there like say you try and get $200. You better believe you're going to owe about 450 back and then they decided just cut it off because you've used it twice in 6 months. So then when you need it again you're just stuck and then they don't try and help you when you call all they do is say sorry.

Original review: March 16, 2018

10 business days to get your title after the payoff amount was taken directly from my bank. Horrible explanation for why. I could understand if I sent a check. No bank I have spoke to concerning this even understands this policy, if someone pays off loan electronically. This is a very outdated policy. Very disappointed with this financial institution and will certainly let everyone I know to not do any banking business here. Makes sense they have only one star.

Original review: March 8, 2018

One of my guys went to get parts at Home Depot and my card was declined, I had thousands in my account. I just got this card in the mail a week before. They didn't call me just closed my card. I called the bank and they then said my card was closed, so now my business debit card was not able to fuel my trucks and buy materials I need to work, best was to hang up on me 4 times being transferred around and sending me a new card next day and not charge me, this is bs. Taking my business to another bank.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I called them to transfer a balance from another card and they gave me the run-a-around. Wanted me to come into the bank and verify myself. When asked if they were in Tennessee, they said no, but insisted I come in anyway?? So, I told them to cancel my account, which I do not think they did even after 3 phone calls and an interminable wait. So, I don't know where I'm at, but I do know it's a lousy 'bank'. Must be Chinese!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I set up an account and was suppose to get a 200 bonus for doing it. Anyhow when I went in the back to make a deposit to get the 200 bonus the bank rep Micheal in Erlanger, Ky knew I had to sign paperwork but since he wasn't the one who opened the account he told me I was good. Knowing right there in front of him I needed to sign tax documents... Well anyhow I got the 200 bonus but they took it for tax withholdings because he didn't have me fill out a W-9.

So when I called about it, I was hold forever, was given several different numbers to contact. Well needless to say there's nothing they can do. My first week banking with them was a terrible experience. Also, I switched banks to do this. Needless to say, I switched back to BB&T where I have banked for 5 years with 0 issues. If you see this bonus, don't do it! It's not worth the hassle because you don't get it anyhow after they tax it. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. IF YOU AREN'T THEIR CUSTOMER THEY TREAT YOU LIKE CRAP. It's crazy how they are even in business still.

Original review: March 6, 2018

10:30 A.M. Went to 5/3 bank to cash/deposit a refund check from Western Union. The bank would not accept my check to deposit or would the bank cash it. They charge a $6.00 fee to cash a check for senior citizens when it's my funds going into my account their bank. The teller was nice and explained it would cost $6.00 to cash the check and I would only get back this much. So I endorsed the check over to my landlord for January rent which had got lost/ stolen in the mail. Looking to switch banks now. Don't bank there. Pitiful.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Beware Home Depot project loan through Fifth Third. Paid off loan and started getting call for collections from Fifth Third. Sent copies of canceled check used to pay off account, no luck with that. They charged off the debt, and sold it to debt collectors who have ** mine and my wife's credit.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Scam - I fell for a scam willingly. I take responsibility for that. But the bank did not do what they said that they would do on their part. I was having money transferred. Before the transfer, they were to call me to make sure that this is what I wanted to do before they released the money. They did not call. They had reason for suspicion. They transferred the money. I am out $4000 because they did not call me. When I got home from filling out the papers for transfer at the bank, I got back on Facebook and within a few minutes realized that it was a scam. If I had gotten the call from the bank, I would have told them to cancel it.

This is obviously not a hometown bank that cares about the people of the community. I can't close the account because they have my mortgage. But for the last 3 hours I have been trying to transfer the majority of the money out of that account to my other bank with their insane online banking system. They have tried everything. They have blocked my calls, disconnected me, and technicians could not help me set up the transfer correctly. It is 6 pm, and they have succeeded in stalling this off for another day. Tomorrow, I am going to the bank to do the transfer myself. The guy on the phone, however, said that I'd better check first, because they may not have 16,000 in the bank!!! They are screwing with me. This is dangerous. I'd be better off putting the money under my mattress, and I may do that.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

First of all, let me start off by saying their customer service is horrible and they are absolutely clueless. I set my account up on online and I inputted a coupon I received in the mail (which was the only reason I gave them a shot at all). After setting up the whole account it seems as if my coupon was changed to another promotion and the initial promotion was not attached to my account which I didn't find out until I reached out to their customer service via email. So I went into the branch in Columbus, OH Taylor Station Rd and sat and spoke with a banker who said she was going to research and call me once her manager came out of the meeting.

After several attempts to call and constantly being placed on hold almost two weeks passed and I decided to return to the branch. After the banker notice who I was, she came up to me and say, "I emailed home office about the issue and yet to receive a response," yet she didn't contact me at all with an update. Very unprofessional. But that's not it. I order checks when I set up my account on Jan 25, 2018, and as of today Feb 23, 2018, I have still yet to receive them. After three calls with three different reps including one supervisor I was told different information. It was 10 days then 14 days now 15 days that the checks will be here from the order day Feb 01, 2018. My experience with this organization has been the worst and I can't wait to close my account this coming Monday. I know it was a reason why many of my friends and family bank elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

My payment's final due date is the 16th of the month. However days ahead of that I start getting calls from collectors asking me if I am having financial hardships, living in the home, renting it out, etc. My credit union in the meantimes shows my payment was made by ePay days earlier and on time. This has happened again and again and collectors admit that payments take seven or more days to be posted. So why start collection services aggravating phone calls prior to even the due date.

Another issue I have is that I am hard of hearing and 2/3 of their callers do not speak English well. Therefore I have requested that any verbal communications be made through my wife. We have made this request by a three way call to the mortgage department and also hand returned their form for this to the San Jose Blvd Branch in Jacksonville. Waste of time and fuel. Last my escrow was short in 2017 and I was given the shortage amount and I paid it. However months later they are still billing me the old unadjusted amount.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Fifth Third bought my home loan from another company. The loan payment is "past-due" on the 16th of each month. Every single month, they call on the 14th wanting to know why my payment is "past-due". My Bank, pays it on the 13th. It has NEVER been past due and I have asked them not to call. I would NEVER do business with this bank if not forced to. I have had at least 5 other home loans, paid them on on the 13th and never had ONE CALL. These guys need to be throttled back by a government agency!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I applied for a line of credit for a rental property. The person I met with first failed to tell me there was a yearly $69.00 charge. I went forward anyway because I felt she had spent a lot of her time with me and thought it was the right thing to do. I made it quite clear that I did not want a mortgage and she assured me it was not a mortgage, just a line of credit.

I subsequently received a letter from Fifth Third that clearly referred to a "mortgage" not a line of credit and asking me for further information. I checked this out with a couple of Fifth Third branches to be sure I was understanding correctly, and both assured me that it was a "mortgage" not a Line of Credit. I had told the person I did not want a mortgage as I had just paid the home off. I was told that they had clicked on the wrong pull down button but I have no doubt that had I not questioned I would have had a $50,000 mortgage I did not want. I think they knew exactly what they were doing. I then cancelled by request for a loan on the phone and via email. This was a few weeks ago.

Today I got a letter stating they were turning me down for the line of credit and citing "too much debt for my income," which is clearly wrong as I only have a mortgage on my residence and pay credit cards off in full each month. I also have an 850 credit score. I feel this was a retaliation. I will never use Fifth Third again and will be closing all of my accounts with them as soon as possible and will let everyone who indicates they are applying for credit or a mortgage to steer clear of Fifth Third Bank.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I'm that person that is going to say "I'm only leaving 1 star because I have to... Yup this bank deserves 0 stars!" I have had an installment loan with them for years and have had nothing but issues! I will admit I have been behind on payment but have been trying my hardest to rectify the situation... Do they care? NO! I don't know who runs this place but they are never willing to own up to mistakes on their part! FIRST OFF this bank decides how to apply your payments not you! Do not think for a second you are in control. I keep calling on the phone to make payments to make sure I'm current and there is always fees I want explained... They say I'm current then bam! Next month I'm 3 months behind again. I wish I could explain the whole situation but I'm confused myself!

Also, the customer service reps. And bankers are nice so I guess that's why they get a star, but they can never provide an answer other than that's the way it is. They constantly keep transferring you to different departments having you re-verify your info. So I receive mail from them right? Yup... My address is on the mail right? So why that the address I'm providing them is incorrect? EVERY TIME! There is so much more but I will not go on about this too much more. I just want to add the last supervisor who I was trying to get an explanation from simply put me on hold for ten minutes and then transferred my call back to a customer service rep! Who asked me for my info AGAIN!

Now let me tell you about the weird multilayer overly complicated checking saving accounts they set me up with. 2 checking accounts linked together with 2 debit cards and a third card I can only describe as a prepaid debit card. So money was to be deposited into one account and then I was supposed to manually transfer it to the other account and only use that account to spend out of. The other card you could put money on but not transfer back off. Okay it was weird but not so bad I thought at first until I started trying to pay bills out of it. 3 different companies I paid bills to from the account. All companies bills showed paid but the money did not come out of my account or show in the statements. Companies said bills where paid. Bank said they had no idea...

30 days later all where returned because they didn't clear even though there was money in the account... FIFTH THIRD ACCEPTED NO RESPONSIBILITY and I paid all the fees. I went to speak with a personal banker that could only come up with I had a "phantom account" what? I had never heard of such a thing probably because it is like a 1 in a billion chance or something. Well I stopped using the accounts at the advice of the banker I only had a few dollars in the accounts but didn't want to close so I could deposit money to pay my installment loan. One day they were all just closed no one knew why nor did I get my $6 back... Needless to say this bank is awful. Save yourself the frustration and go to Wintrust!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

"No Sir, I cannot do that." Get used to this if you work with Fifth Third. Doing anything, even the most mundane banking task is almost impossible and will take multiple phone calls and transfers (with dropped calls along the way). I had a car loan with Fifth Third and regretted it from the first day. They are the worst bank I have ever dealt with. Their services are terrible. Even paying off my loan was a near impossible task with delays, restrictions and multiple callbacks. The little that I saved in interest on the loan was more than devoured by their general inefficiencies and the copious time I wasted on the phone with them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Due to hurricane Irma with a mandatory evacuation, lost wages, and minor home damage we took advantage of the deferment 5th 3rd bank was offering. We opted for deferring September and October payments. We never received anything in writing and my wife has worked in the auto finance industry found it odd they did not send an addendum to our contract. She called and was told by customer service no late fees were being assessed so everything was fine and in order.

We received one letter regarding the account which she called and emailed them about and again told everything was fine. We made our November and December accordingly and our truck was repoed on December 30th saying we never signed and returned the paperwork. They applied the November and December payments to September and October and repoed us for non-payment for November and December! No apologies, they won't remove the repo fees and said fixing our credit now isn't an option! They won't acknowledge this is their mistake! If their customer service department said everything was in order and we never received any correspondence saying it wasn't, we would have acted and responded!

The worst customer service I have ever encountered! Shouldn't they send you something telling you you're in default prior to the extent of a repo?! How does their customer service get away with saying you're on a deferment and then say you're not?! Scammers! What a way to treat their customers by offering Hurricane relief and then ruin your life in return! We have been hung up on numerous times when they can't answer a direct question. Worst customer service ever! Over 32 years of financing vehicles in my lifetime and never came across a company like this!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

This is a not a bank but more of a scam company. I opened an account and they automatically enrolled me to receive checks and charged me $23.99. They also did not mention the $11.00 a month fee they would also be charging. I called to dispute the 23.99 charge and they said they could not help me and to return the checks that they sent. I have not received any checks and they said to wait 2 more weeks to see if they come. This to me resembles theft.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information