3.8/5 (1186 ratings)

About Fifth Third Bank

Fifth Third Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I had the unfortunate experience of having an auto loan through these scam artists. We attempted to obtain our GAP insurance refund after only having the vehicle for a few months. After waiting 5 months and contacting them numerous times, we still did not receive this refund. I finally was able to speak with someone who initially I thought was helping me. However, this person transferred me to an outside party who had nothing to do with my loan and was a ''random Google search gap company''. I was not the first person to experience this deceit. As you can imagine, we are still hunting down our refund. Do not accept an auto loan from this ''company''.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Deposited a check, it shows processed but it does not reflect on the account when we called today and asked about availability we were told the check will be available today after 7p and when we checked the account today now my account is overdrawn. We deposited checks from this business 5 other times. The same thing happened over Christmas, everyone I spoke to gave me different reasons as of why check was on hold. I was told it takes 15 days for a check to process and be available in my account. Totally unacceptable, I’m ready to start banking somewhere else.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

I have verified that Fifth Third has received the funds for a check that I deposited 3 days ago and have been told that I will not have access for another 8 days. No one can give me an exact reason why I’m not able to use my money. Nor do they seem concerned that automatic payments are pending and will cause the account to be extremely overdrawn and will accrue NSF fees although the funds are already at Fifth Third Bank.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

Avoid this bank at all costs. My mortgage was sold to them and it's been one problem after another. First, they wouldn't let me set up my online banking account online or on the phone. In the middle of the pandemic, I was told I had to go to the bank location. Once there, they kept telling me it would all be easier if I would just open a checking account. The nerve! I had to repeat multiple times that I do NOT want to bank with them. Their online banking system is so outdated and it displays information differently for different months, making it very confusing to track your payments.

My favorite story: In order to set up auto-bill pay, they send you a letter in the mail for you to fill out. Did I time-travel back to 1995? When I get the letter, there is no self-addressed, stamped envelope like it says there will be. I go back to the branch and they fax it for me (FAX!). The next month, my payment did not work, and they canceled my auto-bill pay automatically. Frustrated, I called the auto-bill pay hotline and they determined that their technician had typed my information into the system incorrectly. But they can't help me because they have already canceled my auto-bill pay. So guess what? I get the pleasure of starting the whole process over again even though they are the ones who messed it up. How is this bank still in business? I just hope they will sell my mortgage so I can get away from the worst customer service and bank I have ever experienced.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

Terrible bank have my check on hold like idiots around Christmas time I couldn’t get my children gifts. The part that’s amazing is I received 3 checks before from the same person. Terrible bank and will most def be taking this to the news.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

Transfers from one bank to my 53 account take 5 days. Deposit a check and it takes 3 days to show up. Dingy and empty lobbies. Like banking in 1950’s. Nothing good to say about Fifth Third Bank in Skokie, Illinois.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

Updated on 01/10/2023: Currently Fifth Third Bank has what they call "foreclosed" my accounts so I had to go into a branch and have a banker call the fraud department while they remained on hold until I closed the account. In the midst of this they asked me if I had opened another account. Why? I have a non-profit and received a donation from Network for Good. I deposited it because I received a check from them before and when I called them they explained what they do, which is disperse donations to non-profits that anonymous donors send to them. Someone donated to us before, so the second check I went through mobile app and deposited. It turned out to be a fraudulent check and I was notified by Fifth Third that the check could not be processed.

I called Network for Good and they reported that it had happened before and gave me a number to call USPS mail fraud department to report it. I went through the process of reporting. Knowing this Fifth Third still reported me to early detection agency of some sort which blocks my ability to open an account anywhere. This is so wrong on a lot of counts because there was no way for me to know about the check unless I call Network for Good each time and I had called them once to verify if I will be receiving donations in this manner. They reported at that time that these fraudulent checks have happened before.

I am so disappointed in Fifth Third. There are people there that I know pretty well that should know me better than to suspect that I would participate in any crazy activity like this. I am trying to keep children from going through crisis, but Fifth Third has caused me nothing but grief and one big crisis. The initial customer service is great. Over time it's maltreatment.

Original Review: They are the most irresponsible, ill-mannered, disrespectful, and unprofessional bank I have ever had. This last episode has done it for me and it's not over because they have flagged my account before I can clear the balances. My retirement check is also direct deposit and they have in essence on a path to return if they don't unflag my account so I can retrieve the funds. I don't care about them closing the account but allow me to receive my direct deposits first. I had a cash app payment that had been sitting there because they returned it without me even knowing they had flagged my account. How poor can the customer service be. Then when I call to get clarity the rep scoffed and sighed through the whole conversation to no avail. Close your doors if that's all you've got.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

Is a fraud, their offers when they give you 250.00 if you open an account and deposit 1,000 in the first 90 days. I did it and they never gave me the bonus. Second, customer service is the worst. They blocked my ATM and when I went to the branch in Florence, KY, told me that I had to wait 5 days for another one to arrive by mail even though I told them that I needed an emergency one since I was going on a trip.

Third, someone committed fraud with my account where they stole 700.00 from my account. They made me the temporary refund required by the federal laws governing the banks, then the bank took back the $700.00 from my account claiming that they could not recover the money of the person who scammed me even though it was for zelle. So I can use the bank to do fraud and they don't do anything. Customers lose money and the bank does not comply with the law of reporting these frauds. I never recommend this bank to anyone. Don't make that mistake if you want to have your money safe. Don't do it. The other banks are better.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

I was talked into opening a business checking account to "hold" our ticket sale money for our 20th-year class reunion and was assured it was a free account and would not be charged any fees as long as we had money in the account. Covid hit requiring us to cancel/postpone the reunion so I just left the funds sitting in the account. This year there was talk of having the reunion so I logged in and found several hundred dollars missing from the account. Apparently, they had been charging $11 a month, and I am not sure how long because online banking won't even show me all of the statements. I called the branch in Feb 2021 to handle this and was never called back.

I stopped into the branch in Ludington in April 2022 since I was visiting from out of state; one of the bankers said she would "run it up the pole" and get back to me... months went by and nothing. I called back and she said she was waiting for me to call her back!! What?! Why would she think that?! She was the one supposed to be getting me info! She assured me she would be working on it. Again, a month or two went by... I called and spoke to someone else, she told me she would call me the next day... nothing. Almost a week later I received a phone call stating that they were only going to refund 6 months of charges. Well, that just doesn't seem fair when I first contacted them about this well over a year ago!! So really, it should have been 21 months since no one responded to my request for help for nearly two years! I have been trying to call the regional manager and have left two messages with no response. NEVER use this bank.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I have had a few overdraft charges that the bank even said they were at fault for so I ran out of reversals and I got charged two fees wrongly. I talked to two different employees. They even said it was an error but can't reverse it because previous errors with mobile bank app so I have to go thru disputes now and this isn't even the worst. They will try and justify these charges with the random charges I've charged ever since the previous errors. I take photos of all times I go negative and when I transfer money to cover it just so I have proof. I have been banking w for two years. It's only last year this has been happening. They need sued.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information