Fifth Third Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

A week ago my wife received an offer from 35 bank, it was a pre-approved credit offer. My wife has excellent credit score, and she accepted the offer. There started the nightmare, their web page is frustrating. You can spend the whole day trying to enter their site, but is slow and responseless, the worst website ever!!! After that we tried to contact customer service department, after 4 hours for being transferred from department to department to computer answer systems, we only received a rude treatment and no help at all.

They told us, "If you don't have the capacity of using your mobile app, it is not our fault," they show no respect for customers. Another answer was: "Go to your nearest bank and find out over there," telling me the nearest bank was more than 100 miles away from our home. STAY AWAY FROM THIS FIFTH THIRD BANK!!!! Scammers, rude, liars, this has been the worst experience with a bank so far. Now my wife won't use their card and they lose another customer!! I really hope they lose every single customer, and, indeed, they will!!!

Today, I went to inquire about a promotion for new accounts. Details or terms on the promotion were inadequate. So I had questions. The promotion offers $200 if you sign up for a checking account. Impressions: First, there was only 1 customer service person, even though I saw 7 offices. I thought during a promotion, wouldn't you bring one more rep in? Maybe. Anyway, a few minutes later, a customer walks in and related that the bank deposited his payment into the wrong account and he got yelled at for it. Next, someone I recognized walked in sweaty and greasy looking. I'm thinking, they lure unsophisticated, poor folks to this bank. Then I noticed the bank had no art or plants (fake or real) and that the exterior foliage was in poor condition. Both are unusual for banks.

The customer service rooms are not sound proof and I heard everything the between the previous customer and the representative, even amounts. Not good. Also, the bank manager couldn't be over 30. (She indicated that she was the manager). She was nice, but my impression overall was one of a bank that doesn't measure up. I just now realize that they must wear uniforms, because a tall young ** teller with the same or similar outfit and manner of walking as the boss came out briefly in the same Black polyester suit. Not problematic, but it just felt "off" in there, like an episode out of The Twilight Zone. Anyway, I came here to look up complaints because my impression of the place was poor. Now I know. I will not be closing my account with PNC for $200.00 that might not materialize. Thank you all for your accounts with 5-3. No thanks.

I've been banking with Fifth Third Bank for about seven months now, it is for my auto loan. Let me tell you this they really have bad customer service, really bad. I am not familiar with this bank, this is what bank I got approved on for my car. This was my first time getting a car and had basic knowledge about the bank and the rest of the stuff, I was just very excited to get my first car on my own.

2 months pass by, I decided to call the bank to just to double check for my monthly bill, on that note I am on automatic bill payer. While I was on the phone I kept getting transferred to different departments. Which is really frustrating when I had only one question. They then tell me that the bank had forced an insurance policy into my account due to not having full coverage insurance. I then provided them my insurance and they were quickly able to deduct what was added to my account. They then left a remaining amount of $614 due to for only having liability for 2 months, which was totally fine. So then my monthly bill went from being $219 to $352.

A month passes by and I call the bank again to just have reassurance on my bill, they then told me that my monthly bill went up which I was notified already so I was ok with the conversation. The following month I call again for some reassurance. I called around 3 or 4 PM. When a representative answered I then noticed that he had an accent, I also recognized his accent as well. I am Filipino so I am very positive that I would recognize when a fellow Filipino is speaking. I had told him my problems about the forced insurance and all of that stuff, he then transfers me to a different department. I believe I had spoken with at least 5 people that day and none of them were able to answer my questions.

This has been going on for months now, but until last month they randomly called my aunt which was the co signer notifying her that I did not pay the last month's bill. I was furious when my aunt called me because how is that possible when I have it set up for automatic bill-payer. I then called them, first person answered and they did not give me the answer that I needed, so then I decided to speak to another representative the second person hung up on me in the middle of our conversation, third person was very slow paced I just couldn't deal with that. So then I gave up. My questions were not answered whatsoever. The next month comes and I get two letters from the bank one is saying that I have a past due payment of $352 and the other mail consisting of an electronic process payment.

Those 2 mails had different dates. I then call them asking about the past due payment, they're now telling me I owe $352 and on top of a $463 for the month of July. I was freaking out and had asked them what are those for? Then again they couldn't answer my questions and had hung up on me. I needed my questions answered so I then I decided to give it one last shot.

The last person that had answered was a girl name Joy. She had an accent and while talking with her, her background noise was very loud. I can hear what the people next to her or maybe even behind are saying. I speak and understand Tagalog so I am very familiar with the language. I hear these people in the background talking about their day and what had happened to them the night before, of course they were all speaking in Tagalog. On top of that the woman I was speaking to was very slow paced. She couldn't answer any of my questions.

The following day my cousin had looked into my account and just basically studied it. When I bought my car it totaled in about $16800. Today I owe $16,268. I've had the car for 7 months now and if you do that math it's basically saying I've only paid $500 dollars within the 7 months I had the car. This is just ridiculous, they're scams and they steal your money. Today I tried refinancing my car but didn't get approved due to the amount of my pay off. I am going to a local bank near me and will try to see if I can get another loan, I want out of this bank ASAP. I hate Fifth Third Bank. I feel sorry for the others who have dealt with the similar situations.

Instructed to wait for CC bill twice, but none received. Contacted by collection agency for settlement. Back lies about not having correct address. I have proof. I am told it's still my problem, should not have accepted bankers advice to keep waiting. Result, large penalties.

I opened a checking account at the Fifth Third Bank branch on 53rd Street in Hyde Park(Chicago) in the spring of 2016 because of a promotional advertisement that was supposed to give new customers $200.00 if; the checking account had direct deposit and 2 or 3 bill-pay accounts add to the checking account. I opened the account with 53rd because of this promotional offer and did exactly what was required to get the $200.00. Earlier this year (2017), I made at least 3 inquiries about when the money would be deposited in my account. I even e-mailed a message to 53rd and received a letter telling me to contact the branch where I opened the account. I contacted the branch, was told that the manager would call me later that day. The manager never called. I called the branch last week and talked to the manager who opened the account for me last year. His reply was that my inquiry is probably beyond the time limitation. What?

I took out a home loan with Quicken Loans last year, and 53rd bought the loan. The loan payments are due on the 1st of each month. I asked 53rd to change the due date to the 5th of each month because on a couple of months, especially January, the direct deposit from my pension is not made until January 3rd or 4th. In January 2017, 53rd charged me a $35 overdraft fee because of this. 53rd Bank refused to change the payment due date. Based on these and other negative experiences with 53rd Bank, I wouldn't recommend banking with this bank to anyone. 53rd Bank stinks and employ liars and people who behave very similar to con artists.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

They advertise 200.00 when you open an account. Well I ran to open an account and they also told me they wouldn't take any fees since I have my Government checks deposited. I never received the two hundred dollars, because they at the last minute told me that I didn't have the correct online bill payments even though they told me how to go about doing the online bill payments. It's a trick to it and they are still charging me 8.00 dollars a month for service fee which I could have kept my NetSpend account, there's no difference. I'm still laughing to myself, a lesson well learned. So if anyone see that advertising about getting two hundred dollars to open an account "BEWARE".

I opened an account with this bank because of an advertised promotion that I will get $200 for opening an account and doing bill pay with them within 90 days. This is like the 4th month and I did not see any $200 credit. I am going there now to close my account. Their customer service over the phone is very poor except you go to the branch and talk to a manager. Shame on you Fifth Bank for your lack of professionalism, there are so many banks out there I don't have to stick with this.

Don't I mean bank with. I had so many fees after 90 days. This has been hell. Over 600 in fees item returned. I'm at a lost for words right now. And then they rerun the same transaction the next day for more fees.

They are stealer... they want to make their money with your money. Sound stupid. Isn't it? I been with 53rd little bit over 2 and half years. Found so many issues with service charges and fees. They are the stealer. I don't have any loan or mortgage, credit with them... too many charges and fees. When I swap their debit card at the ATM machine fees and when swap their debit card at shopping center... there is a fees.

Fifth Third Bank, Wabash Ave. Terre Haute, IN - Not sure who the gentleman is that works inside the branch... but every time I come into the bank and he is the one waiting on me, he has to give me push back about cashing a payroll check. He even said loudly, with the bank full of people that there wasn't enough funds to cover the check and that he couldn't give me any money back because of that. I would have to go to the ATM after I was finished depositing it with him. REALLY? He couldn't just take care of my transaction right then? I finally said to him... "no, I am not going to do this with you, then turn around and go to an ATM machine, you need to give me cash back while I'm "in" here with you". Then I told him, I'm really getting upset due to every time I come in here, he gives me push back.

Last time it had something to do with my address didn't match my ID. But they opened the account with that ID like that. Anyway, my point... this guy has no business working in customer service and treating customers this way. For him to yell out what I had in my account was unacceptable period. For him to try to make me go to the ATM to withdraw money was ridiculous. I'm just not happy with the service there. I will say in spite of my negative review, the ladies there are very professional and have never given me any trouble. I'm still deciding whether to take my business elsewhere.

Recently when I called to make a payment I was told my required payment was $50.00 more than I expected. When I inquired as to why I was told it was because the interest rate had gone up by .25 percent. When I finally received my statement in the mail I learned what the extra $50.00 was for. Fifth Third is now charging a annual fee for the use of your line of credit. I wouldn't mind that if I actually had access to my line of credit but I've asked twice to be sent a replacement credit card with no luck. Apparently they can't even handle that.

I received a postcard in the mail for Fifth Third Bank to prompt residents to open an account and a 300.00 incentive will be deposited after the account is open with at least a 100.00 direct deposit within 5 days of the qualifying deposit. This was an incentive to try them out. But by the way this has been handled there is NO way we will bank with them. We went in and opened the account with a banker in the University area and immediately there was a problem with the banker entering the code and pin that was on the postcard but we were assured everything would be worked out by the time our direct deposit comes in.

The next week our deposit went in with more than was required. I called the banker several times and was told give it a few days because the District Manager had to handle it. After 3 weeks had passed I was told his Branch Manager was working on the issue. Another week pass and I finally talk to the Branch Manger and was told they are at the mercy of the District Manager and he has not responded to them, I was also told that it's within the 6-8 weeks processing time so we should be still good. Well I had to inform her that on the fine print of the card that the Banker has it stated the 5 day incentive deposit, of which she was not aware of but she said she will call me. It's now been more than 6 weeks and no response not even a call to say we're working on it. We will be stopping the direct deposit and closing the account today.

I have been banking with Fifth Third Bank for the past eight years. During this time, Fifth Third has benefited from my deposits in excess of $700,000. I have found their numerous locations to be very convenient and, until recently, had no major issues with my banking experience. This past week, I saw that a scheduled ACH draft would leave me insufficient of funds. I went to a local branch four days prior to the scheduled draft and placed a stop payment. The bank representative was helpful and placed a stop payment waiving the customary fee. I was not informed that stop payments are not guaranteed. The amount entered by the bank representative was off by one cent. Because of this the draft went through and my account was debited. I was charged a $12 overdraft fee and funds were drawn on my bank credit card to cover the overdraft.

I went in person to the bank and spoke with two customer representatives including one supervisor who all told me they could waive the overdraft fee but I would have to file a dispute on the ACH draft which was also not guaranteed and would take more of my time to resolve. They were leaving it up to me to take care of and made no offer to help on my behalf. My wife and I have opened a new account at a local bank and are closing our accounts with Fifth Third. Based on this experience and a series of frustrating interactions regarding a simple name change from our recent marriage, my wife and I both recommend NOT doing business with Fifth Third Bank.

Rude tellers and managers. 35 years with 53 and I watched their standards go to the (we make all the rules) attitude. They allow tellers to make nasty comments on their screens if they don't like you. They shut down a account because I told a teller to shut up and stop being so annoying. This account had over 2 million dollars pass through it a year. Horrible people.

I financed a vehicle in December of 2014 at a Ford dealership in PA. My lender picked by the dealership was Fifth Third Bank. I have never been involved with this branch so I didn't know what I was going to deal with. I moved from PA to Nebraska in 2016. This is when I first started to realize the bank was going to be difficult to deal with. In order to register my vehicle in NE I had to call the bank and get them to send the title over to DMV of NE. The only number available I was directed to a very stubborn and ignorant lady who had no intention of helping me! Long story short it took me a week of numerous attempts and call transfers to finally get someone that can help send the title over which by the way took a month to mail out. That was not the bad part! I decided to put that experience behind me and continue forward!

However recently... I dealt with a very upsetting and deceiving matter! In the near future I have vacation planned with my wife and kids to travel in our vehicle to Mexico. I did some research and asked friends who have traveled to Mexico and all said the same thing... in order to travel in a financed vehicle you would need a permission letter from the Lender (Fifth Third Bank). All the people I asked had no issue with getting a permission letter from their lender as long as there was notice with time in advance and Mexico insurance was provided! So I followed the process accordingly, I purchased the Mexico insurance 2 months in advanced for the dates that I would be in Mexico with 2 days extra for precautionary measure. After I purchased the insurance I called Fifth Third Bank to request a permission letter. Immediately I was denied, so I asked to speak with a supervisor.

I was very detailed of my intentions, places and dates to travel, They refused! I reminded them how long I've owned the vehicle and that I have not been late or missed one payment in the 2+ years I've had that vehicle, still they refused! I felt cheated, betrayed and insulted! The reason they say they will not issue the letter was they insinuated I was going to leave the country and stop paying for the vehicle! When the supervisor said that, I continued to try and reason with him by informing him that I have no interest to leave this country. I have a great job, I have my Home, kids go to a great school! The only intention I have in Mexico is to visit for a 2 week vacation! Yet they still refused.

How is it fair, how is this right! Is this even legal? To restrict me from driving my vehicle to my desired location??? Why should I pay for a vehicle that has restrictions of driving! Other banks allow it with notice and purchase of separate insurance but Fifth Third Bank refused! 1st of all, Now I am looking for legal advice to address this matter and I am certainly determined to get this corrected no matter the cost! 2nd I will be looking to refinance with another bank so I will never have to deal with this Bank Again!!!

Do not trust your money with this bank. A criminal got a hold of my check, altered it with their name & cashed it for thousands of dollars. I only had couple hundred dollars in bank but Fifth Third decided it was in my best interest to clear the check throwing me into an overdraft situation. Upon noticing the overdraft, realized the fraudulent check was presented and cashed by bank. I made calls to local branch and the dispute department and a complaint was filed. After receiving no further information I continued to call only to find out the bank had filed the fraud incorrectly. I went back to local branch & started paperwork again, signed affidavits, etc. and was told should have my money back in 7-10 days. Been waiting 60+ days and no money back yet. Most recently been told it may be 120 days.

No one at Fifth Third has apologized to me for cashing this check that was clearly altered. No one has returned a phone call from local branch or local management yet. Sent email to President's Office, they called & said they would be in touch with 5-7 days. You got it, no call. I have changed banks after 10 years of service. Never use Fifth Third Bank. Horrible customer service. Rude management. No explanation has to how this could happen with an altered check. Eyes should have been on the check. They rarely have a line but want to rush you through so they can get back to office luncheon, personal calls, etc. Turn and run from Fifth Third. They do NOT have your back.

My experience with Fifth Third Bank is an interesting one. Back in November of 2016, I applied for a personal loan with the bank. Although I was denied because of DTI (debt to income), I was told that once my income increased, then there was a possibility I would be approved. So, I returned six months later with a 30,000.00 salary increase (got promoted to Assistant professor)... I still got denied. I was told by Mrs. **... because the original checking account has closed back in November I would need 1,000.00 to be considered. Then I was told I had a delinquency on my credit which was totally false because I called all three bureaus... Spoke to TransUnion and was told I have NO delinquencies on my report.

Finally, I was told that although my new salary starts on July 1, 2017, it could be used for the loan. But, Mrs. ** stated that the bank needed see that amount coming out... but that's not what we discussed previously. Oh well... just awful experience... I guess it was a true sign to get the hell away from that company. Especially after reading the feedback here on the bank.

I've been banking with Fifth Third for 7 years now and have had so many bad experiences with them it's not even funny. The only reason I'm still with them is because I travel so much it's extremely difficult to go through the motions of changing banks. Today was the final straw. First off, this bank will fee you to death. ATM fees, monthly fees, overdraft fees and more. Yeah every bank has these, but they advertise free checking and free ATMs. I've never seen the free checking and they have no readily available ATMs anywhere except the bank itself which is nowhere near my house or job.

Today they charged me an overdraft fee while I still had money in the bank. Their reasoning? This charge came in before a check cleared. The check cleared the same "business" day that the charge came in on. But the charge came in before the check cleared. I was under the impression that as long as the money was there before close of business then you're fine. Nope! At least not according to Customer service. Most banks have 24 hour forgiveness and these guys don't even have same day forgiveness.

Not only that, I've had checks held for ridiculous reasons. One reason was because I overdrafted at Christmas time. So they held my first payroll check after Christmas. They tried to hold it for 30 days because (their reasoning), I had overdrafted at some point 30 days prior. I had to go into the branch and raise hell to get them to release the funds!

Another issue I had was they kept freezing my account while I was traveling. Even when I notified them prior to travel. I travel for a living. And I begged them so many times to call me before they froze my account. I still have never received a phone call. I had to travel overseas for work and notified them 3 times before I left when, where, and how long I would be gone. I verified the information before I left and they said I was fine. They froze my account the first day I was across seas and I spent a week in Spain without a dime to my name before I could get someone to make an international phone call to get it fixed. Ridiculous! I have so many other issues. Their fraud department is ridiculous too. My card got hacked at Christmas time and I had to figure it out and get it fixed. This bank is a joke. Do not bank here.

I was a co-signer on a 2nd Mortgage on a property that was sold in a short sale almost 4 years ago. The 2nd Mortgage was restructured into an unsecured loan which I am still currently paying on. 5/3rd is reporting it as a short sale, which is incorrect. I have sent a dispute letter to the 3 major credit reporting agencies, and 5/3rd still will not change the way they are reporting this loan. Again, I'm still currently paying on it.

This bank is a joke!!! They are HORRIBLE and rude! They are condescending and do not work with customers. I would NEVER recommend this bank to anyone! Trying to pay my bill is like jumping through hoops every month. Always problems with the online system! They charge fees for everything! I avoid having to deal with them at all costs! I dread my car loan payment due date because I know every time I have to pay it, it will be headache. HORRIBLE customer service! DO NOT GET CAUGHT UP WITH THIS POORLY MANAGED BANK!!!

OK, so... in my experience, Fifth Third is the worst bank ever. I have had countless issues caused by their complete lack of concern unless it involves a threat to them receiving funds. Some of those instances include the teller keying in the amount of my cash deposit wrong, and putting my account $6000 in the negative the week before closing on my home. Refusing to fix it immediately and forcing me to wait 5-7 business days for it to "fall off"... Allowing someone to make a fraudulent charge of several hundred dollars on my NOT YET ACTIVATED CARD in TEXAS, not notifying me until AFTER APPROVING the charge, then forcing me to wait 5-7 days to reverse the charge. The solution they gave me was to sync my accounts with overdraft protection to transfer money to my checking from savings so I would not be in the negative... I suppose so a thief would have access to ALL of my money, not just some.

BTW, never received an explanation as to HOW this happened... And most recently a transaction that was not authorized by PayPal was magically posted to my account (not pending, POSTED) although neither PayPal or the merchant ever received funds. Fifth Third literally has a couple hundred of MY dollars floating in space and has calmly told me it will take 60-120 to investigate, even though PayPal can literally call them RIGHT NOW to resolve the dispute. They refuse to correct it this way. There have been countless other incidence of mismanagement and a sheer lack of concern for how any of these things are impacting me financially from this bank. I will be closing my account after my 60-90 day investigation is completed, and I advise if you have not banked with them, PLEASE DON'T. I bet they will not lose the monthly fee they deduct from my account like clockwork... as if it's earned.

The absolute worst customer service quality I have ever experienced. I typically am not the type of person to complain but this bank has horrible customer service. They are rude for absolutely no reason and are love to hang up on you. I had mailed a payment that for some reason they hadn't received so they proceeded to call me on Sunday morning at 8:14 am to inform me of the problem, which was fine but then after hanging up they proceeded to call back 4 times within a 2 hour period and when I explained that I had already talked to someone they straight hung up on me.

The next morning I started receiving calls again and once again I talked to someone who admitted that I've never missed or been late on a payment so that is why they keep blowing up my phone. I offered to go ahead and pay over the phone and just cancel the check I sent until they informed me there was a $15 fee to pay by phone because you have to make the payment with a person and not through an automated system. I just started laughing and said, "Never mind, I will give my check a few more days to reach ya'll." Also found out that the extra money I send EVERY month over the past 5 1/2 years has been applied to the interest rate and not the principal. That's frustrating all on its own. Needless to say... NEVER NEVER NEVER again will I get a loan through Fifth Third Bank, too unprofessional for my business!!!

Not only is it very difficult to get an actual person on the phone. The website is not intuitive. I have had an auto loan with 5th/3rd for 5 years. I asked Olivia, an employee for the name of her supervisor. I was told he wasn't in. 3 minutes later Josh (the supervisor) got on the phone. I asked Josh the name of his supervisor and instead of answering a simple question he restated a policy and hung up on me. I suggest that the heads of this bank go through their own process to see how ridiculous it is and maybe teach your staff some customer service.

Where I work we have a direct deposit option which I signed up for. My problem is others here where I work also have direct deposits in their banks. Well on Tuesdays, my coworkers can show me their deposits which aren't available for them to use until Wednesdays each week. 53rd doesn't even show my deposits until Thursdays. Last week I had an electronic withdraw taken out late Wednesday which didn't show in my pending at 1pm that day. I had cash in my wallet and could of made a run to the bank. I was charged an overdraft on that withdraw, when my co-workers can use their check on the same day. I feel 53rd had my money in one hand and pushed an electronic withdraw through with the other hand to charge me fees.

I have called the service department to complain only to find myself being told there is nothing they can do. It takes time for the electronic deposits to be posted, but electronic withdraws go right through with no delay. It is kinda underhanded as far as I am concerned. I suppose if a gambler in the old west acted like this they would have been shot under the table. I will find a new bank. Got me once, won't get me again.

I have had to deal with overdraft fees from this institution that I have been attempted to pay off for over a month, and they are applying repeat fees. They have charged me over $260 in fees for the same $3.49 transaction.

I have had one too many bad experiences with this bank. I've been with them for approximately 4 years now and all I have are complaints and I feel very under appreciated. I know that I could bank with them for 30 years and they still wouldn't value me. They do not do anything for their customers and there's no such thing as a loyal customer here. They will make you feel in position to them rather than them in position to help you. The Tellers at the branches are usually very nice just like every other bank but that's the only nice thing I can say. If you ever really need anything outside of banking per usual you're SOL. This company does not value their customers.

My wife and I have had a horrible experience with Fifth Third Bank. I would stay as far away from this bank as possible. The customer service is terrible and they tell you one thing and do another. They have taken unauthorized charges from my bank account, with direct deposit, on a car loan. They owe me and my wife over $650 dollars and have gone MIA. We will be reporting to BBB and anyone else we can think of. I would never do business with this bank and hope others stay away.

I have 2 mortgages with Fifth Third and last year 2016 they screwed my monthly mortgage up twice which affected my credit score. I made multiple calls and months later it took going to the president's office to get them to fix the mess. My insurance was about to be cancelled due to not being paid by Fifth Third. Now in 2017 I made a mistake on my payment and I shorted my payment by $2.00. I was notified I was short so I paid the $2.00 shortage over the phone. Well my $2.00 did not get applied so I got hit with a 30 day late which hurt my credit. Fifth Third will not take care of this latest issue. Very very disappointed, I feel like I'm in prison to Fifth Third.

Despite getting my PMI removed by paying down my principal, I was charged 3 PMI payments. Despite talking to a) a supervisor who promised to get back to me within the day - it is over 10 days, b) leaving multiple messages for the escrow supervisor who helped fix the bank's error when I made the principal, and 3) leaving a message for another supervisor. I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING FROM ANYONE. So, I filed a complaint with the consumer finance protection agency and will file a complaint with BBB and any other organization I can find until I get a response. Oh, and by the way, I have had my mortgage with them for 7 years with a perfect payment record. Nice way to treat your customers!

Customer Service is non existent. I have been a long-time customer at this bank and needed little to no customer service for approximately 10 years. The moment I did need help with something every customer service person I spoke with transferred me to someone else and was ultimately unable to help find a solution to the problem that I was having. I closed my Fifth Third bank account and would recommend this company to no one ever.

Fifth Third Bank Company Profile