1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

845 Fifth Third Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I applied for one of their cards based upon a promotion. What a huge mistake. Even though I had signed up for paperless banking their system stopped sending me notices. Unfortunately, as it turns out, I use the email notification from all of my suppliers to pay their bill. Well they never notified me and how I found out that I had an unpaid balance was a big negative hit my credit score. The original amount was peanuts, like about $30.00 but my credit rating dropped almost 100 points. When I called the bank they really did not have a clue. They also did not know how their banking system works. They did refund all of the late payment charges. Lot of good that does.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Fifth Third Bank's mobile app does not accurately reflect all transactions. It runs a 24 hour delay in available balance and "pending" transactions. One such "pending transaction" is Overdraft Fees. For those of us that rely on accuracy from mobile financial applications, this can be a "loophole" for the bank to charge overdraft fees for honest mistakes (such as trusting that the balance shown is correct).

If the bank would fix their app to show pending transactions while they are in fact pending, a customer would be better informed. As a real-life example, I wrote a $50 check and deposited to my ex-wife's bank account to cover my son's college accounting (how ironic) textbook (I wrote a check so that my payment had a paper trail). The transaction did not show as "pending" on my mobile app until the next business day (when it was already too late by their rules) and another transaction also came in that same day which caused an $11 overdraft. I made a cash deposit within an hour, prior to the bank opening for business. If the app had notified me that there was a pending overdraft charge the day I made the deposit I could have easily made a cash deposit that same day to cover it. Their customer service team has acknowledged that this is a problem, but they are limited by policy to do anything about it.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My mortgage was sold to Fifth Third about six years ago. Five years ago, they inaccurately assessed my escrow account, and claimed I owed them another $100 a month to meet all my taxes. When I told them they were clearly incorrect, and explained why, they refused to do a new assessment of the account, because they "only do that once a year" so I was forced to pay the extra money for almost a year until they did a new assessment. No apology but they did refund my money.

Here's the second egregious action: About two months ago, I received a letter from Fifth Third indicating that according to their records, I did not have adequate wind coverage on my homeowners policy, and that if I didn't correct it, they would be purchasing an expensive, poor quality wind policy on my behalf that I would need to pay. I immediately contacted my insurance company and they confirmed that I did in fact have adequate coverage on my existing policy, and they forwarded that information to the bank. It was information Fifth Third already had, but whatever! A month later I received a "Second Notice" letter on the issue. I went through the same process as before, except this time I also called the bank myself. I was on hold for an hour, only to be told the system was down and they could not help me.

When I called the next day (on hold for an hour and a half), they gave me an alternative fax number to send the information to, which my insurance agent immediately did. One month later, I received a THIRD letter with a bill for $1564 because I had not provided them with any proof of wind insurance. My insurance company called, and I called. On hold for an hour. Patched my agent into the call when I finally got someone. We confirmed the fax number to which we had previously sent proof of coverage, and gave a date and time when fax was sent. They suddenly "found" the fax and confirmed I already had coverage. And by the way, the coverage they wanted me to buy from them was for TWICE the assessed value of my home! SCAM, SCAM, SCAM, SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

No answers from automation from website. 1-2 days with no response. Called customer service. On hold, finally got through to the department. I explained that I needed a payoff amount for my car loan. He said it was wrong department then told me loan department had 35 minute hold time. Well that came and went well past that. The catchphrase "I’m here to make your day a 5th 3rd better" Well that went right down the toilet. This is the 4th time that I’ve had to try and get a hold of someone about my loan. Don’t ever move from state to state and try and get them to help get your title transferred over. Nightmare! Avoid this company at all cost.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I had a checking account with a Fifth Third Bank. I am a long time well known businessman in the area. A customer of mine gave me a bad check by mistake. His bank made it good with a certified cashier's check within 24 hours. I was making a wire transfer to pay off a mortgage. Because of the bad check the funds were not there temporarily. Instead of calling me, they turned it into their bank fraud department and froze my account which had an additional $20,000 in it. After the fraud unit cleared my account they still froze my account for an additional 4 or 5 days and bounced several thousands dollars worth of checks causing me embarrassment, time and money. They said was its internal rules. Nobody knows why. Avoid Fifth Third at all cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Terrible customer service. I had an online account that someone charged over $800 to over the weekend. When I discovered it it was Saturday evening around 8 pm...no one is working!!! They do not have any live person 24 hours. But the worst is their unethical checking account practices. They love to make it seem like transactions are deducted from your account over the weekend, but will hold them until Tuesday, saying they were "pending" and put them all through and overdraft your account. They also love to put them out of order, biggest first, so it overdrafts everything...even though some of those debits are 4 days old. I already received a Case Action payment from them for unlawful fee practices in the past...apparently they don't care because they are still doing it. Huntington is 1000 times better and ethical.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Worst experience with an auto loan I have ever had! They call the day after your payment is due from collection Dept. Both times the person couldn’t speak proper English and gave me a higher amount than what was owed. I only had my loan for two months and went with another bank. After over 20 days, I’m still waiting on my $700 overpayment refund and my gap protection refund. I will NEVER do business with this bank again.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

In the past year and seven months I have opened four cards. The first one and the oldest was Fifth Third. I made all my payments on time and actually had a $1,500 credit limit. All my cards have either been paid off in full or I'm making large payments on them. Despite this every other card that I have had has increased my credit line except Fifth Third. When I call them to inquire they say they need to do a hard inquiry on my credit to even do it. I said, "Screw that. I'm not going to have a hard inquiry which will reduce my credit rating." Why should I do that? Why can't they make periodic adjustments to people's credit lines based upon their payment history? This is the only card that I've had that hasn't increased any of my credit line for absolutely no good reason. Also horrible customer service. Whenever you try to get through it takes forever. Would like to close it down but that would increase my overall utilization.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Our car was repossessed. Fine. We paid the back pay, but the company added an extra month that wasn’t past due. We had to pay it in order to get our car back. We paid all of the money, over $3,000 on Friday. The bank, doesn’t send a release to the second company who is then responsible for sending their release to the tow yard. At this point, we’re incurring additional storage fees through no fault of our own and we don’t know when we can get our car. How are they effectively running a business? More Importantly, WHY are they still in business. I wish we were more proactive in researching this bank. PLEASE DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK, ON ANY LEVEL! THEY ARE HORRIBLE. I wish I could give zero stars but that’s not an option.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Wrong information and poor customer service giving wrong information! On December 27 I called and asked my secured credit card to be changed to an unsecured credit card and closed the secure credit card by paying it off during the phone call using my checking account. They told me and unsecured credit card would be issued to me by mail in 5 to 7 business days. Today is 18 January and I have not seen any credit card come in the mail from fifth third Bank. I called customer service and spent 45 minutes and put on hold 4 times and spoke to two different people. They said there was no reference showing the secured credit card was closed.

There was no other information concerning sending a new credit card. I said this was extremely poor customer service and I wanted to speak to a supervisor. I told the supervisor what happened and she told me there was no info saying the secured credit card was closed. And there was no information about a credit card being issued because I was now informed I have to do that through the bank by physically going to the bank (nearest branch is 60 miles away). I asked her why wasn’t I given this information? She said she didn’t know why I was given wrong information and she didn’t know why I was not given the correct information. I canceled my card. I do not want to do business with a bank which doesn’t know what they’re doing.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information

www.53.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.