3.25/5

912 Fifth Third Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2019

I had a truck loan with Fifth Third Bank. I paid off the note and it has taken 4 phone calls in a month’s time to get a lien release letter from these people. AND I STILL DON’T HAVE IT. The last arrogant customer service person-Matthew-says it has been mailed. (This is also what the person time before last said, two weeks ago.) And then, being the ‘professional‘ that he is, he cut me off short and hung up. I’ll never do business with these unprofessional stooges again. I will never recommend them to anyone and will discourage anyone I know, who may be considering doing business with them.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Absolutely lousy!!! Mario was rude. My father is elderly and I was trying to handle a response to an inquiry. He made it so difficult and upset and confused my father needlessly!!! Impatient, inconsiderate and rude. And it an error on their part!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2019

I opened a checking account at Fifth Third Bank. I deposited cash to open the account. I was expecting a cashiers check from my old bank of 15 years until they took it upon themselves to freeze my account and not inform me. But that is for another review. So I deposited the cashiers check into my account. Thinking it would be available the next day. Nope - they hold all deposits even my direct deposits for a week. Are you ** kidding me? A week? What purpose does that serve except to piss me off. It's a cashiers check from one of the biggest banks in the country, and they say they need to be sure it's not fake. I understand there are dishonest people, lots of them. But, a week?

Now thanks to no one telling me this when opening the account. Everything is late, I am never late on anything. I talked to one of the people in the little offices and he was so condescending I wanted to reach across the desk and choke him. So now I have to wait a week to get my money so I can tell Fifth Third where they can stick their bank. DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR AND DO NOT EVER DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THIS POOR EXCUSE OF A BANK!

Original review: June 19, 2019

My husband and I had purchased a car in 2013 and the dealership financed my loan through Fifth Third Bank. They gave us a booklet of payment vouchers to submit with each payment every month. I made EVERY payment ON TIME and for a period paid in advance by a month. Needless to say, we made every payment on time. The end of the term arrived around Oct of 2018. The last page in the booklet said that this was not the last payment, so we made a call asking what the balance was to pay. They stated the last payment should be a double payment so we sent a double payment in. We awaited title but didn't look out for it. Months passed and we honestly forgot about it.

It's now June and we need a new car, and having not received title on our car, we called Fifth Third Bank. They said our account was delinquent bc of one missed payment. They said they called my number every day since January and finally sent the account to collections in April. I never received a call, possibly due to a SPAM blocker. My husband's number was also listed but they never took the extra step to scroll down and call him or even mail us a letter. Several angry phone calls in, a supervisor deleted my husband's number and replaced it with mine, when earlier, they had verified his number as well. If this bank's personnel used any common sense, they would have seen that we made every single payment on time, they would have taken the extra step to make sure we knew there had been a mistake. They would have helped us make it right.

Even after speaking to 6 representatives, they made excuses and would not expedite getting my title to me after I had called right away to pay the supposed debt on our account. (We are disputing this due to misinformation.) This is the definition of POOR management, and irresponsibility. I will never work with them again. Lending money is one thing but the more important matter is CUSTOMER SERVICE which is nowhere to be found at this institution. Please don't borrow from them, save yourself 5 hours on the phone.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I'm disabled and on a fixed income so when I got a phone call from my local office back in April saying there was a better account for me and to come in and switch to it. No one ever explained to me what exactly the charges would be. Now that I'm on this plus account I get charged $10 every week. My account is over drafted and because of this I am now homeless and losing my car. Thank you Fifth Third for taking advantage of people on SSI.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: June 14, 2019

For many years I had many accounts in MB financial taken over by 5/3 bank. My 2 one year jumbo CD with 1.8% interest matured in February, BUT without any notice, my knowledge and my approval bank renewed them for 3 months with 0.05 interest. I have learned about their illegal act on June 3rd when 5/3 bank informed me that this 2 accounts will mature. I WAS SHOCKED. I have earned on this 2 jumbo CDs with 0.05% interest for 3 months about 112$ instead of over 1000$. THIS WAS BANK'S THEFT. On June 3rd I did complained at 5/3 bank and with the full understanding of that illegality Mrs. **, Mr. ** and Mr. ** help me to have that money back in my CDs. I would like to thank them for their help and to 5/3 bank for protecting their customer right. 5/3 bank is my bank. Vladimir **, retired.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Unlike other banks who are happy to help you move to a new state and provide your new state with a copy of your title, Fifth Third isn't. They work with a third party vendor who puts you on hold for at least an hour before I hung up, and also wants to charge you for this transfer. I'd never heard of Fifth Third before we bought our truck but I will certainly make sure we never use them again. Customer service sucks. I called back to tell them I've been on hold for an hour and all they did was transfer me back over. They said they would get someone on the phone for me so I wouldn't have to wait and just did a transfer to start the wait all over again. Never ever ever use this bank because they obviously don't value their customers.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Customer support is horrendous. Called customer support for help on their online banking app and she just couldn’t figure out exactly how to help! I just opened this account and I’m already very disappointed.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I set up a 5/3 account because the company I worked for had a short list of banks with which they worked so I had no choice. I hate big banks, but have used Chase for years with zero problems, good customer service etc., but had no choice so I had to do this. I went to a local branch to set up my business checking account. The guy setting it up had no clue whatsoever what he was doing and set it up as a corporation despite my clearly stating it was a single member LLC. He couldn't figure out how to fix it, and we had to involve the branch manager. This ended up taking close to an hour. Well, no big deal in the grand scheme, but it got worse from there.

I had a check from another business come in and deposited it. It was large. Apparently the other party's bank called to verify and he was out of the country on a cruise, so they could not reach him and therefore stopped it. 5/3 then deducted this amount from my checking on that day. Fine, of course as they had no choice. Then apparently they deducted the same amount again when the check was officially returned, so have now deducted this twice, which pushed my account into negative territory, while the ledger itself showed the correct, positive balance, so there was a discrepancy on my account page.

Not liking this, I called and was told not to worry about it, that it was a snafu which happened occasionally but should clear itself, my ledger showed the correct balance so I should have no issues. Ok, I thought, and got back on with things. Well, long story short it did not clear itself and stuff started bouncing due to their clerical error despite the fact that my balance was in reality positive. I had to go in personally to get this cleared up and they did nothing about the fees they cost me, not to mention the PITA.

Next they somehow hit my account with an Amazon purchase supposedly made on my debit card through Amazon. Well, I never put that card on Amazon, because I don't use debit cards for online purchases, basically because I'm not an idiot. I chat with Amazon, they can't find it either, and have no idea what this charge is and tell me it is an error on the bank's end, as they have no charge corresponding to this in my account and verify that this card is not, and never was, added to my Amazon account as a pay option, making it literally impossible for me to have made a purchase using it.

Next I find 5/3 customer service is a joke. There is no online chat to work through an issue like this. Their phone lines close at 8Pm so I miss that timeframe and call the next day, which is right now, as I am typing this, and I get a recording that indicates my wait will be 20 minutes or more. This is a pathetic excuse for a bank. I'm closing my accounts down, as these people don't have a clue. At least their ineptitude and lousy customer service gave me adequate time to write this as I was holding to talk to them And, yes, I'm STILL holding after typing this novella of a review. Pathetic.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Absolutely, positively do NOT bank with Fifth Third Bank. I got stuck with this miserable bank when they acquired my bank, MB Financial in Chicago. Right away I got hit with $370 in fees. I never had a problem like this with MB Financial. I talked to a number of former MB employees who are now employed by Fifth Third and they hate them too. They say Fifth Third is just a big, impersonal, corporate monster. I am heading to a local community bank to change banks. I hope Fifth Third keeps its tentacles off this bank.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information