3.7/5 (601 ratings)

About Fifth Third Bank

Fifth Third Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I have been with 5 3 for several years now. I never had a problem with my checking account and either of my two credit cards with them. They are very helpful over the phone too. Unlike other banks they speak English which I can fully understand. I am thinking they are in the USA and not operating a call center in some other country. I get auto credit line increases on my Trio card which is now up to $14,000 credit line. I never paid a fee or had any adverse action taken by them. I think it's how you maintain your accounts. If you do that poorly then you will have fees. It is really up to the customer on how their experiences will be.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

The overall protection is similar compared to Identity Guard and at a lower monthly cost. We get updates on email and our phone telling us when our personal data is found online as well changes to our credit score or if someone has accessed our credit through all 3 Credit Score Companies. Our quarterly credit score shows all 3 scores from Transunion, Experian and Equifax. I believe this company is something all prospective customers should look at.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Always friendly, always ready to answer my questions and take care of my needs. Love the service, the building. Online is easy to deal with - even for seniors, female, blond....They are located conveniently, so I can go to their ATM everywhere. But I must say I love to go to my local bank, knowing the staff, my representative, and feel comfortable in that good old building. Glad they kept it up nicely.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Fifth Third Bank has been great when I have a problem or need special attention from a representative. They are topnotch 5+. They handled fraudulent purchases and stolen cards very well. They were quick and decisive and replaced or changed cards in a hurry. They are attentive to all problems and their representatives and tellers are great. However, on day to day transactions they always seem to be short on tellers making waits longer than necessary. Their credit card policies are great (including free ATM or reimbursement at ANY ATM).

Original review: July 29, 2020

My experience that I have had with 5/3 they are qualified folks. I opened an account with 5/3 and I was informed that I would have a temporary pin for my online and go make one up online and if I did not that I would have to have it reset. So of course I did not follow instructions and procrasnated (spelled wrong) and that was the problem so the banker reset my pin and there was a email sent out and I read it wrong and reported a bad comment but I really need to APOLOGIZE. Because 5/3 was keeping me in the loop. So I want to THANK the people at this bank for the security they gave me.

Original review: May 16, 2021

Searching for a new bank after 20+ years of disappointment: My account is set up so that no charges can come through if the funds are not available. Yet the slow individuals that work for this company like Hope (supervisor) refused to refund me my overdraft fee but returned the amount that should have never been drafted from my account. Not to mention this happens tooooo often for comfort. My identity has been stolen several times while banking with 5/3. They also were reported for charging ** more for housing loans... need I say more?! I wouldn't recommend them to anyone ever. Very poor customer service and they'll block your card for no reason. Smh never ever ever ever ever ever again.

Original review: May 5, 2021

After hiring an attorney to set up a trust fund for my parents who were elderly and who needed to go into an assisted living program, we worked with a personal banker at 5/3 Bank who assured us that the checking accounts were being set up properly, naming my brother and myself as trustees so there would be no issues upon their death. 6 years later, both parents have now deceased, but 5/3 now refuses to allow us to remove the funds, stating that they “can’t find” the signature cards proving that it was supposed to be through the Trust, they have no documentation stating that, and the personal bank who set up everything incorrectly is no longer employed there. So now we have to pay attorney and court fees and go through probate court to settle the matter because they will not admit their costly mistake.

Original review: May 4, 2021

Horrible customer service. Very rude and nasty. Their names are Hope and Kandise. They told me they were supervisors? I will refinance and find a new company ASAP. Why would anyone hire people so rude. Also I was hung up on. This company is not worth your time.

Original review: April 24, 2021

Avoid this bank and do not fall prey to their bogus promotions. They will find a way to disqualify you after you've deposited money into your account and met all of the terms and conditions, and then ignore your calls and emails. In my case, a representative at my local branch persuaded me into depositing $15K for a $300 bonus. I never received the bonus however even though I maintained a balanced of $15K for over 16 months, and only 90 days was required. A single unauthorized debit was made a third-party that lowered the balance by just $55 for a few hours, but was reversed on the same day. Fifth Third however credited that back the next day and has been using that as the sole excuse to not honor their promotion.

I tried for months upon months to call the manager, Elvia **, at my local branch in Niles, Illinois to find out why the bonus was not applied, but they never answered their phones or returned any emails. The only way I could get through was by repeatedly calling their national customer service, who eventually connected me with her directly. She promised I wouldn't have to follow-up again that she'd research it, but never got back. Clearly she was just trying to avoid me. After complaining on social media, I finally received a call from a regional manager, Garrett **, who only talked over me to repeat what the mistruths his manager told him - even yelling, which was completely unprofessional.

In short, this bank has horrendous customer service and utilizes deceptive practices to get you to open up accounts and deposit money, for which they are being sued by the U.S. government: Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection v. Fifth Third Bank. "On March 9, 2020 the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) filed a suit alleging Fifth Third took unauthorized actions, specifically: opening deposit accounts in consumers’ names; transferring funds from consumers’ existing accounts to new, improperly opened accounts; issuing credit cards; enrolling consumers in online-banking services; and opening lines of credit on consumers’ accounts. The actions are alleged to be a result of a "cross-sell" strategy to increase the total number of products and services the business provides to existing customers."

Original review: April 18, 2021

Refused to work with me on a loan modification or anything after my husband died. I could make the payments fine but not repairs and upkeep as I had no help and had to pay for everything. Because of their refusal to work with me and subsequently being upside down because of needed repairs, I had to do a short sale which required me to not make two payments before they would consider. This ruined my credit and every aspect of my life when I was already suffering. This is a cruel, greedy and heartless institution. Stay away.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information