3.7/5 (492 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Fifth Third Bank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Fifth Third Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: May 18, 2022

I've had mortgage with the bank for several years and just closed it couple of weeks ago. Had to call them up to find the homeowner's policy number. The first time the agent on the line was very sarcastic and rude, saying she doesn't know anything and transferred me to the insurance department without giving me the policy number. I had to stay on the line for 25 minutes and nobody ever answered. The second time the agent was as rude, she finally gave me the policy number but before that she asked me one million unnecessary questions about my current email, address, work phone, mobile phone a bunch of two step verifications on the account that had been already closed! Which is ok, fine it's for security reasons. And after giving me the policy number she basically hung up. Worst customer service ever. I would never use their services ever again and would discourage anybody to ever use them.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I will keep my review brief. Virtually all of the 1-2-3 star reviews on this site cover experiences I have had. Up front I will tell anyone who has had a bad experience to file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the consumer protection office of your state Attorney General, your congressman/Senator's office if they support consumers. This Bank has no respect for its customers. They care about those other reporting avenues and trends show a pattern of damaging conduct to consumers whether they are legal or just plain unethical.

I have had a mortgage with them for 12 years. They have always been poor with communicating anything urgent (payment change, payment receipt issue). Last month they did not apply my normal overpayment to my mortgage. I had no notifications in my electronic account, email and they left no messages when they called from spam numbers (they said it's against their policy to leave a voicemail message for a customer- seems like they have no real interest in getting a response).

I found out the payment was being held by accident when I logged in (after calling to reset my account after being locked out as usual because their IT systems are terrible). I made an immediate payment which they made the excuse of waiting to apply until Monday assuring they could count me late. Their justification being they couldn't take a payment on a non business day- funny they can set a due date on a non business day. Isn't that a racket- set a date you can't pay on and then count you as late. Their calls come from literal spam callers and if you pick up there is dead silence for 15-30 seconds making you think robo call and you just hang up. There is no way to know they are trying to reach you. They put no notifications in the online account.

I have yet to see them send out a timely mail notification. There is no post mark on the mailing to maximize their ability to feign they have followed the bare minimum of the law to send out a notice. But their actions are clear, do everything possible to reduce the probability that the consumer can respond- and why? My opinion, damage credit reports to ensure consumers are forced into high fee predatory financial products. It dropped my credit report 80 points. This bank is literally the only late reporting I have on my report. They have done this twice in 4 years. My recommendation is to avoid all business with this Bank. If you need more review input just google the bank and lawsuits and look through reviews on multiple sites. The abusive treatment of customers is a large clear trend.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I have never liked Fifth Third Bank ("5/3"), so when my mortgage was sold to them this past February I was not happy. I have now been paying them for 3 months---by the way, I did not get a letter from Fifth Third until the middle of March (6 weeks after they bought my mortgage), so if the prior mortgage company had not called me I would have not known until I missed a payment (I had automatic payments). I cannot get automatic payments with 5/3 because I do not have a 5/3 account. My escrow payment went up this month, which is not unusual, but I had no notice from 5/3.

It is my understanding that the mortgage company needs to give you notice of the increase at least 1 month prior to the new payment and give you the opportunity to pay off the shortage without increasing the monthly payment. When I called 5/3 the Customer Service Professional ("CSP") advised that a notice was sent out, although she was not sure of the date. It is May 9, and I have not yet received it. The CSP also let me know that because my next payment is not due until June 1, a one month's notice was given, although, again, she is not sure when the notice was sent out (however, apparently it was sent after the mortgage statement was sent).

Just as a side note, I also had a auto loan through 5/3, and it was just as bad of an experience then. I made a payment over the phone, and got the confirmation number and went on vacation. 5/3 called me while I was on my vacation to let me know my car would be repossessed because I did not make my car payment. I told them who I spoke with, but did not have the confirmation number with me. I therefore made another over the phone payment so my car would not be repossessed one we returned home. I checked my bank account, and, lo and behold, 5/3 had not taken out the payment.

My whole experience with 5/3 through they years has been one of ineptitude of the employees. I don't know if they just don't care, or if they are just that bad. In any event, I would love to refinance with someone else, but now the rates are higher, and so I am stuck with 5/3. I did ask them to sell my loan, but, of course, they CRP does not have the authority to do that or the ability to put me in contact with someone who can. I am not sure with their "making banking 5/3 better" means because of I dealt with many banks who are much better than 5/3.

I will admit that I am not the easiest customer to deal with when I am upset, but I have never had a pleasant experience with 5/3 --- except when I opened my account (which I have since closed). They were very nice then.

Original review: May 5, 2022

This banks fees are too expensive. $37 overdraft fee and if you can't afford to bring the account back to zero, that will be another $25 "overdraft extended" charge EVERY week in addition to the $11 monthly service charge. Try having covid and being out of work for a while and deal with unsympathetic reps who tell you "there is nothing they can do". They reversed two of those charges, but would not budge to do anything else to help me in my situation. Including rude customer service reps who threaten to send your information to collections.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Customer service whether in the branch or on the phone through the 800 number is just horrible. They place holds on checks after you’ve been banking with them for four years and never placed holds on them before. With no excuse as to why other than they did it. No help whatsoever other than, "If you end up with NSF fees we will see if we can reverse that." I’ve never had such issues with banks not wanting to help clients especially when they’re placing money in accounts. I will never bank with them. I will never suggest them and I will be pulling all of my money from every account I have.

Original review: March 30, 2022

Had auto loan with them for a couple years. Paid in full and never late. Had to write the Minnesota Attorney General to get a pay off letter from them. The letter was poorly written and only referenced the account, not the car. Calling them doesn't work. They tell you they will do it and then don't. Many calls were endless waits on line followed by a message that says "we are closed call back tomorrow". You can do better than this lender, even if you pay a higher interest rate.

Original review: March 26, 2022

The mobile app for my small business account hasn't worked for over three months. I have spent over 20 hours on the phone with agents and supervisors. The last "Tech" guy said that they cannot figure out why the app isn't working for small businesses. Maybe 3/5 is a better estimate of how well they work for their customers.

Original review: March 25, 2022

My mortgage was sold to Fifth Third Bank. Since it has been sold, I have suffered issues with my payment not being applied to my loan every time. I get calls monthly about the payments only to be told "oh yes, I see it here" and some other spiel about getting someone to fix it. This month, I got the call as expected, given the same line. Then a week later was told that my payment was returned to me. I told the CSR that was funny because I don't have the money in my bank account nor did I receive a refund check. Then while I was waiting for the CSR to 'investigate', because they don't have access to the notes from the last call I received, the person hung up on me. If I could re-fi my mortgage again, I would. This is bank is so technologically inferior between their website and customer systems, I just want to cry. I even tried to set up Auto Draft, what a joke. If you don't have a Fifth Third account you have to FAX in a paper form and pray.

Resolution response: March 22, 2022

This turned out to be an issue my other bank account not 5/3.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I did a funds transfer from one of my banks into 5/3. The funds never showed up but my bank sent them successfully. I called to speak with a manager only to wait for them for 2hrs(yesterday). Then when I speak to them they say there is nothing they can do. Even after they spoke with my other bank over the phone. I asked the manager at 5/3 Aaron to hold on while I was driving to my bank. He told me he would only hold for two minutes. After I had to wait the day before 2hrs to speak with a a manager and no one ever came on the line. I eventually hung up and called them today when I spoke to Aaron (** id)and he provided abysmal service. I’m closing my account.

Original review: March 21, 2022

My mortgage was sold to Fifth Third Bank, I did not choose this bank. I try to pay extra on escrow and mortgage and there isn't a way to do this on the website. You have to call every time to pay extra. When I called the customer service representative said my account would go through an annual escrow review but he didn't know when. Kept insisting on me not paying extra on my escrow. My taxes went up and I KNOW escrow will be more than what they are requiring me pay, therefore I am paying extra. After I gave the customer service rep all of my payment information which included my checking account he asked if he could put me on hold and hung up on me. This is only my 2nd payment with this company. I truly hope the situation gets better.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information