Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.28/5

Fifth Third Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I have been with 5 3 for several years now. I never had a problem with my checking account and either of my two credit cards with them. They are very helpful over the phone too. Unlike other banks they speak English which I can fully understand. I am thinking they are in the USA and not operating a call center in some other country. I get auto credit line increases on my Trio card which is now up to $14,000 credit line. I never paid a fee or had any adverse action taken by them. I think it's how you maintain your accounts. If you do that poorly then you will have fees. It is really up to the customer on how their experiences will be.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

The overall protection is similar compared to Identity Guard and at a lower monthly cost. We get updates on email and our phone telling us when our personal data is found online as well changes to our credit score or if someone has accessed our credit through all 3 Credit Score Companies. Our quarterly credit score shows all 3 scores from Transunion, Experian and Equifax. I believe this company is something all prospective customers should look at.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Fifth Third Bank has been great when I have a problem or need special attention from a representative. They are topnotch 5+. They handled fraudulent purchases and stolen cards very well. They were quick and decisive and replaced or changed cards in a hurry. They are attentive to all problems and their representatives and tellers are great. However, on day to day transactions they always seem to be short on tellers making waits longer than necessary. Their credit card policies are great (including free ATM or reimbursement at ANY ATM).

Original review: July 29, 2020

My experience that I have had with 5/3 they are qualified folks. I opened an account with 5/3 and I was informed that I would have a temporary pin for my online and go make one up online and if I did not that I would have to have it reset. So of course I did not follow instructions and procrasnated (spelled wrong) and that was the problem so the banker reset my pin and there was a email sent out and I read it wrong and reported a bad comment but I really need to APOLOGIZE. Because 5/3 was keeping me in the loop. So I want to THANK the people at this bank for the security they gave me.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I have been going to Fifth-Third Bank for my company for several years now. They are always helpful and very friendly. I enjoy the daily interaction with the tellers and they are very honest in telling me if any of my deposits are "off." We have built up a joint trust over the years. They know that if I end up with too much credit or cash, I will tell them. I trust that they do the same. That is not necessarily the norm in this day and age, so I have been very pleased with Fifth-Third Bank on Portage Road and also the branch on Westnedge.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

Horrible service and banking. Kendra at the Waterville branch should be fired. She could do nothing for my locked accounts and could not provide me any escalation contacts. She talked over me and was very rude. Kandra has no idea what customer service is and must be removed or re-trained to continue to operate in a positive manner for Fifth Third. I called the Bowling Green Branch and was treated as a valued customer and assisted by the Manager there even though I have never done business at this branch. Kendra / Waterville branch - FIRE.

I have been with 5/3 for decades but will begin migrating all of my accounts and banking activity to the bank down the road, F&M where I have accounts. They are always pleasant and quick to serve my every needs. Migrating my accounts with auto-pays and such will most likely involve over a month and many hours but in the end I can no longer afford to continue to do business with 5/3 and the problems that THEY create for me. I will be sure to leave as many negative reviews and tell everyone I come in contact with about the 5/3 Waterville branch. Complaints have already been filed with the BBB and the Ohio State Attorney Generals Office.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

At first, I didn't get it. During the Covid lockdown I somehow managed to lose my driver's license. Earliest appointment I could get at SOS was Feb 10, 2021. I made this appointment sometime in August 2020. I had no ID and still needed to cash my check from work. I deposited my check through the mobile app. Immediately 100 dollars became available. The next morning my account was in the negative for the entire deposit amount. After speaking with customer service I was lied to multiple times about why my check was placed on a reg cc hold. I was told by bank managers that it would eventually stop. 10 checks later it hasn't stopped. Every week a 9 day hold.

I'd had enough I wanted to know why this was happening to me. Fifth Third reps recommended I come in person. I didn't have my id, I couldn't. I called my home branch only to learn that she had no power to help me. After talking with multiple Fifth Third reps I learned that they use an algorithm to determine whether or not to clear your check. When I asked what the criteria was to have your check cleared the rep did not know. I requested to speak to someone who could give me clarity on why these holds were being applied. I did that around the 28th of December. I got a callback but I missed the call. The caller left a voice mail with a callback number.

I called multiple times left messages, no callback. I had to go back through customer service to request another call back only to be told that because I had missed the 1st call it would be 2-3 days before I received another one. When I got that second call it was a supervisor who literally called to tell me that I should do my banking in person basically. The speech of the caller was difficult to understand I asked that they have someone else call. A minute or so later another call came from Fifth Third.

I expressed that I felt discriminated against, I hadn't done any bad banking, every check cleared no problems with me and my account. My bank manager had limited ability, in fact inside of my home branch a customer had been refused her funds from a cashier's check after being verified and on deposit for 3 days! The Supervisor who made the last call must've thought he was just gonna talk over me. I stated to him that it doesn't take 9 day to clear a check so why the long hold? He said because the maker could place a stop on the check before they were paid, in a nutshell, their algorithm had said don't cash my check.

My check issuer white business owners, long-standing banking history, ideal customers. Me? **, zip code in a predominantly ** area in Michigan. I had spoken to so many bank managers at length before the last Supervisor called that I already been told that Fifth Third had made its employees aware that all mobile deposits would be held 10 days. The Supervisor contradicted that statement and said NO everyone's check is not automatically place on hold. I asked, "What criteria you had to meet for that and was told that the algorithm determines it." I went on to ask, "Why offer something to your customers and not tell them that using this product could place your deposit on a 10-day hold that will not be removed unless you've already cleared 2 or more checks from the same issuer." His response was "because we can." He said, "We want to make sure the checks clear."

He went on to say that I could opt to pay 22.00 per deposit to cash my check instantly on the app. So the same money they wouldn't give me access to for 10 days can be available immediately if I pay 22.00 dollars. It doesn't cost that much to cash your check at a liquor store. It's unfortunate for me that I can't get out of this situation until I get new ID but I hope by sharing my experience it helps someone else avoid this kind of company. I think if I lived in a different area this wouldn't have been so difficult to handle. I think if I had more money in the bank I would have been treated differently. I think if I had been a different I would've been spoken to and handled differently. A few Bank managers basically said what I'm thinking. I feel like our communities are underserved purposely. I'll be happy to leave Fifth Third as soon as possible.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

As long as you pay your mortgage each month without a hiccup, no problems. Should your property be deemed to be in a flood zone, hold on to your seat because this company will take you on a wild ride. For starters, they will not place pdfs of the important letters they send you in your Fifth Third online inbox, even if you are paperless. They won't send documents to your email address either. They "mail" documents even though I never received them. I did however, receive their mailed flood insurance bill of $2628/year. While I desperately tried to get my own flood insurance (~$600/year) effectively immediately, they refused to email their documents allowing the insurance to be "effective immediately". Fifth Third stated they would mail the documents in 3 days... They refused to fax or email the document to my insurance company too. Looks like Fifth Third is trying to make an easy extra 2K off of us so be forewarned.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Worst bank I have ever dealt with. First of all their customer service is worse, Second they overcharge a lot for ever closing the accounts. I wanted to transfer my HSA and they are charging $25 for closing account, this is crazy.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I applied to refinance my current mortgage with Fifth Third Bank in April. I submitted all required paperwork and was given a close date of August. They cancelled the date, never rescheduled and I couldn’t get anyone to respond. I elevated to a VP level, was asked to resubmit more paperwork bc what they had was so old it was no longer valid. 8 months of back and forth chasing them to get it done. They were completely incapable of providing the service so I cancelled after 8 months of frustration. They refuse to refund my application fee of $395 and I can’t get anyone to return calls. To add insult to injury, I would have been saving thousands in monthly interest but lost out due to their incompetence and lack of any sense of urgency or customer service. This is the worst business experience I have ever had anywhere. If you need banking services, run from Fifth Third Bank.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information