3.6/5 (500 ratings)

About Fifth Third Bank

Fifth Third Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

By far the worst bank I have ever dealt with... It doesn't matter what it is with this bank, they will mess it up... I was sent $1100 zelle payment and 5th 3rd is telling me I gotta wait 3 days... Or how about the $4k dollars that 5th 3rd took from my account for a person check that I didnt write, I don't even have checks with this bank, money was refunded after 5 days "bank teller inserted wrong numbers" ... I will be closing account and running from this bank today.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. I know several family members who have had problems with 5/3 over the years just flat out taking money from their accounts. And now we are trying to close my Grandmother's account with them, it's been a nightmare. They revoked access to her online account for no discernible reason, told me it was locked for "fraud" concerns when I called, and refused to tell me anything else over the phone because apparently I answered their security questions incorrectly, which frankly isn't true. I have all the information they need, I'm her established Power of Attorney, which they also know... But they can't do anything. Doesn't make any sense.

Their solution is always "visit your local branch," which is absurd for a modern bank. Besides that, my Grandmother can't get to one, I live out of state. So they're just sitting on her money and effectively won't let us access it. When you do go to a branch, they're absolutely clueless as to how to address issues you may have. Ultimately nothing gets resolved. And their online banking and mobile apps are a joke. Absolutely useless. You can't view deposited/cashed check images, you can't link other external accounts without a ton of headache, every other action you try to take results in a "Call Customer Service" message... I'm amazed these folks are still in business. Even our lawyer said they're awful to deal with (also mentioned PNC is bad, too, FYI!).

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

This bank bought my mortgage and is now charging me $95 more a month and I've been trying to get this straightened out for a month so far. I can't get anyone to tell me what the increase is for, it's not escrow. Plus they don't have bi-weekly bill available, which is crazy! Worst customer service ever! I'm beyond frustrated.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I neither have to time nor do I have the words to explain what an incompetent, dishonest and downright messed up institution 53 bank is. I've been lied to many times by their reps. I've been on hold or re-routed for over 50 hrs. when trying to get anyone with enough intelligence in their customer service (oxymoron as it pertains to these idiots) to fix issues. I was lied to about the terms of my mortgage refi then when the agent was caught in that lie they held back the disclosure form that by law I'm to get before closing... I just cannot express in serious enough terms to anyone interested in doing any type of banking NOT TO TRUST 53 Bank!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

*On 09/06/22 during a chat with Fifth Third Bank, I requested loan history since statements were not available online. We noticed that the amount due was now showing $732.98 which was more than the previous amount of $664.90 that we usually paid as well as an additional principal payment of $35.10 bringing the monthly payment to $700.00. We were told that was because the monthly payment was always $732.98. Allegedly fifth third claims a “Monica” requested the account be adjusted which their website shows happened on 09/11/12 & a letter received says the request came on 09/12/22. (Per a supervisor on 09/26/22 who confirmed these calls were recorded but whose name was not gotten due to be hung up on, claims that this alleged requests moved our fund from the principals to past payments that were already made on time?)

*On 09/08/22 we went to the website to try to pay $664.90, knowing we had only selected “Regular payment $664.90” via their website then we entered $35.10 by doing our own calculations to add to the principal, we discovered it would not allow you to pay less than what is shows the regular payment is. Thus proving that their website must have in fact showed at one time “$664.90”. We were told we must be mistaken. For good measure, we went back on 09/15/22 & the website now showed “$711.66 Regular Monthly Payment” - I requested loan history via phone that I never received and I was told that there were no notes on our account from my previous contact on the 6th. That the account was short by $83.98. I asked for clarification because that math was not adding up. I was directed to the loan history which would take “3 business days and could only be faxed or mailed”.

*09/15/22 - Letter received stating a request was made on 09/12/22 (see above). *On 09/20/22 I called again to request loan history, I was told again that no notes were on the account and that they were not sure why we received a letter. Chris states extra principal payments go to principal but also are applied to next month's payment knocking it down, not knocking down the end of the loan. I ask for transfer, Transferred to Amar (employee ID ** confirmed recorded calls). Repeated that loan history takes 3 business days. Stated principal payments only go to prinicpal not lower the next month's due.

09/26/22 - Received loan history documents. Now show Loan payments, Curtailments, & Micr payments. I called. & Paul who refused an employee ID also refused to explain what the difference in this payments were. After asking for a supervisor 3 or 4 times, finally transferred me to the Lady who seemed helpful at first before she ended the call when I inquired about who authorized our account to have adjustments made & I made it clear that I had screenshots of conversations. Then began a 2 hour long calling & chat session or trying to get anyone on the phone to request the legal departments contact information which they are outright refusing to give me.

When I call customer service & enter our account number, we are placed on a brief hold before being hung up on. I have multiple recordings of this. Unfortunately, It has taken this month of horror to do a simple google search of this terrible bank & their practices to see that it is not just us, there are THOUSANDS they are doing the very same to. I would be shocked to find out more haven’t filed against them. I will be writing on every forum encouraging those who don’t know where to file with Consumer Finance and their Attorney General of their state because this is wrong & should not be tolerated!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

53 Bank please stop buying people's mortgages!!! You will waste so much time trying to figure out how to navigate through the site or app. The waste time calling and being on hold trying to figure it out. They’ve only had my mortgage for 12 days and it’s been the worse experience I've ever had. It’s been stressful. If you’re reading this please do your friends and family a favor and tell them to advise their mortgage reps to not sell their mortgage to this company. Mind you I still haven’t been able to log in to anything to pay my mortgage. It’s been horrible.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I spent two days on on phone with different departments to no avail. I was transferred multiple times and put on hold for ridiculous amount of times with staff. I had taken home equity loan with another bank and my funds were immediately wired to my Fifth Third checking account. Fifth third flat out lied to me over phone. I lost a vehicle I had on hold because fifth third held on to my funds when I was told my money should have been available within one hour up to a max of 24 hours… I spoke with customer service, supervisors and the wire department. I was told no one one could help me because wire department is closed on Saturday. Wire department staff told me on a Friday funds will would be available Saturday (the next day). They weren’t.

I called again and was told no one can help until Monday. I trusted this bank and have had other multiple issues but have given them multiple chances to do the right thing. I needed these funds by Saturday, I lost a lot due to fifth third's unprofessionalism and lack of availability of staff who can help w such dire situations. Changing banks is a hassle, huge inconvenience and having to change automatic withdraws etc. But I am doing just that. Worst banking experience ever. You cannot trust this bank to do the right thing or go above and beyond for any circumstances.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

The worst experience with any auto loan ever. I have worked with a lot of banks but the customer service with Fifth Third is the WORST. They refuse to apply principal only payments. When you send a text - which you must - every sing time, even if your check clearly states principal only, they don't. One payment was removed and not put back in at all. .. Even though the contract clearly states there is no penalty for early payoffs or for early/extra payments. I have been around and around with them with no luck. You can only communicate through text. Their complaint department is useless. When I call to talk to someone about it, they just hang up. End of story - do not bank here and do not take out any loans here.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

So, long story short my mortgage was sold from another bank to Fifth Third Bank. I spent twenty minutes trying to create an account online to pay my mortgage. Then after getting to the final step it told me I needed to call customer support. I called customer support and waited 40 minutes on hold. After waiting that long one of the 5/3 representatives answered and said they would help, but then she realized that my phone number wasn't showing up because it said it was 5/3 bank that was calling her. So, she wouldn't help me access or set-up my account even though I could give them my social security, the new account number, and every piece of information (for an error that was theirs). Overall, I have had an awful experience and I hope that they sell my mortgage back to the original company I had it through.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I called 5 times and chatted 7 times beginning July 10. I just needed a letter stating my loan was paid off in order to get my extended warranty refund from the car dealership. I was told it was sent, they sent it to the dealership, they would fax it to the dealership, that it was never sent. One person actually hung up on me. Trying to reach a person is next to impossible if you don't have anything but a loan with them. It is all based on deposit accounts. There is only one number that you can call. I asked for a supervisor and was told no. I would not recommend this bank for any reason at all. Customer service is ranked right the worst I have dealt with.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information