2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.5/5 (585 ratings)

About Fifth Third Bank

Fifth Third Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

I just opened a new checking and savings account 10 days ago. Well I really need a debit card for the weekend. So I was going to see if they offer a temporary card in the bank like Wells Fargo does. I've called 10 times and nobody will answer at my local branch. So I decided to call a different branch and nobody is answering. I'm not sure if I want to bank with anyone I can't reach via phone since I will not be running to the bank to get a question answered. This is frustrating. If y'all are having trouble with labor shortage UP the pay and get some people in there to help. All I wanted was a temp card for business this weekend. I might switch banks on Monday.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I am a senior and not technically smart, so I’m going to the bank and have the banker help me with my bill pay. I win in a stop to be OK like I have done in the past but for some reason the bills kept getting paid. I am a disabled senior on a fixed income and it was a mistake that continue for some reason. The banker lied and told me he would file dispute and my money would be refunded on September 15. It wasn’t.

I called customer service and found out he lied to me. The manager was rude. And my banker knows my password. I spoke to Clarissa who was very nice. But I received a voicemail and the phone never rang from Ashley and I called her at least 10 times. I will be filing a complaint against the bank. Why would they tell me to call to get my old money back when they made the mistake. I stop the payments but for some reason they continue. I need all of my money, and I don’t like the fact that the banker dumped me and lied to me. And I need my refund back.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

So many issues with Fifth Third, namely the website. I had an installment loan with 5/3, wish it was with ANY other bank. 1. I submitted a payment online; the next day the payment showed neither scheduled nor posted. 3. Thinking the above was due to my error, I submitted the payment again. Three days later, I was shocked to find my checking account (with another/better bank) in negative balance, with nsf fee, due to the payment being processed twice. 4. I visited the local 5/3 branch to be told, in effect, they couldn't help. I would have to call customer service (monster wait). I was also told to go to my checking account bank and have the 2nd debit reversed, which they did.

5. Today, I went online to payoff the remaining balance, only to get some obscure error indicating the payment couldn't be processed. I opened a chat window and was told my checking account was showing closed. Huh????? 6. Visited the local 5/3 branch again to write a check (from the above "closed" checking account) to pay off the loan and finally rid myself of this miserable bank. 7. I've never received, not one, email/phone/text/paper communication regarding any payment activity; I confirmed all my contact info is showing current/correct online. Perhaps 5/3 has college interns running their website.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I was trying to add an non-Fifth Third account so that I would transfer money back and forth from a newly opened bank account because I relocated. They did not have Fifth Third banks. My transaction was denied. I talked in chat with an online representative. They could not help me. The rep told me to try deleting account and trying adding again (Spencer). That did not do it. It just locked my account because of too many attempts. Then he said called the customer service number. I called the customer service number. The representative (Sara) did not understand what I was talking about. I explained like three times. She said she could not see anything else other than my accounts already there. I explained that what I wanted to do was add a non-fifth third account, which I did, and was denied. She still did not know what I was talking about.

Finally she said, "I am going have to consult because I am confused and don't understand your request." I said, "okay, thank you," and was placed on hold. Next thing I know, the phone hang up and that was it. I don't understand how incompetent representatives be in not knowing what their company offers or knowledge of how products work for the need of the client. Or understanding issues having to do with their own products when they arise. It is a shame I have been with Fifth third for 4 years, but I will be closing my bank account soon.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

If I can give a negative rating I would do it. My house got on fire and the insurance paid out the check. Unfortunately my mortgage is with these clowns. They took over a week to send me the instructions how to get the check endorsed. Based on their instruction, I sent the check and the insurance papers and now it's over a month later I still don't have the check back. This is pathetic.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

They closed my debit card on a Sunday morning. They said that I made over ten attempts with the wrong cvv number. I've only had that particular account for three weeks and have NOT made any incorrect attempts. Be sure of this I'm stuck home on a Sunday without fresh healthy foods to feed my special needs child who just got out of the hospital and cannot be left alone nor be taken along to the grocery. Also, even if he could, I cannot get cash from the atm since they mistakenly shut of my card. I'm also going to miss a doctor appointment for myself tomorrow morning because I must pay three hundred dollars at time of service which is before the branch opens so I will also be without prescriptions that I desperately need. I'd also already made arrangements for my child to have medical supervision at our house while I'm at my appointment.

A rude and snippy online agent told me to just use a card on which they can see that I'm an authorized user while waiting for my new debit card to arrive. That card is my mother's and I don't think she'd appreciate them telling me to charge a few hundred on it tomorrow.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I didn't originate my mortgage with these jokers. I got a great mortgage through another lender, who then sold my mortgage to 5th 3rd. For 3 weeks I've been trying to get online billpay access setup on their worthless website. I can't register for online billpay. I get the following error: "For assistance, please contact customer service at 866-606-2871" But, when I call it at 7:00PM EST, it seems they DON'T have 24hr customer service! In fact, they don't even have 12 hour customer service. The automated voice menu system says, "logon to our website." DUH! Idiots, I can't register because you suck! Your website sucks. Your customer service sucks! I would NEVER EVER choose to bank with these idiots. In fact, I wouldn't ask them to borrow a pen if I needed one... Worst bank on earth.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I got a car in August 2021 with them as the loan bank. They charge for everyday even if you hadn't made any payments my first payment is next month October and it is already $150+ more than the original loan. Don't use them for auto loans because you will end up paying a lot more in the end.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Somehow my mortgage payment got taken out twice on the same day. Not a big deal, I contacted them and asked them to reverse one of the payments and put the funds back in my account. They said it would take 3-5 business days. Fine. 1 week later, I haven't received my funds so I call them back. They tell me that the payment was reversed, but the funds weren't returned. This irritated me, because I needed the money back in my account. They said it would take 3-5 more business days. That was on Aug. 26. Today, Sept. 1, I still haven't seen the money in my account, so I call them back. They tell me that a check was cut and mailed to me on the 30th of August. I told them I didn't request that a check be cut, that they were just to put the money back in my account. Too bad, so sad, sorry for the "inconvenience". That's all, nothing else. Not gonna do anything for you even though we screwed up bigtime. Would NEVER recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

They now have foreigner people that you can't understand answering phones, having access to your information and how scary that is???? Terrible people that don't understand English and know nothing. They never have an answer! Put you on hold for hours! To give you an answer!!! I'm getting out of this ** bank!!!! Idiotssss.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information