1.21/5
  • 1 star
Based on 88 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

713 Fifth Third Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Don't do business with Fifth Third for a credit card. They will sell your information. The online banking doesn't work. If you pay off and close an account, they will continue to charge you money and add fees and interest. This has been the worst credit card company I've ever dealt with. I have closed my account and still have problems with them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Have had my auto loan with Fifth Third Bank for 2 uneventful years then it got stolen. It was recovered less than a week later. I got the van back and made repairs and have been using it daily and making scheduled payments. Three months later was going online to make the monthly payment when I noticed a $125 fee added on for "repo close fee". I couldn't imagine what this was so called their 800 number. As is stated in review after review I was bounced all over the place from department to department with each one claiming ignorance of the charges. I finally got an answer from someone who said they had been notified by the impound lot that they had their collateral so Fifth Third said they had to send someone to check on their interests.

Now I have insurance and been making regular payments so find this "repo fee" ridiculous. I question what the repo dept did to earn this fee since it was only impounded for 3 days and it was 3 months later when they charged me. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income and sure do not appreciate this bank adding salt to the injury after getting my van stolen. After Googling complaints against Fifth Third bank I felt some comfort in knowing I was not alone being robbed by this bank but question after reading 100s of complaints how they can continue to get away with these actions. At the least I would like to see documentation of their actions concerning this $125 fee. What did they do to earn it???? Totally unnecessary IMO.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Two payments for my truck were taken out in one month. I am a teacher so I do not make enough to make two payments in one month. I was told I was being reimbursed for one of the payments and should see it returned within 7-10 business days. 10 days go by and I check my account, the money was not returned. I called and was advised I would not be getting my money back and would be used as my next payment.

This is the month of Christmas, and I now do not have the extra money to buy gifts for My family or buy the gas to go home and see my grandmother who is going to pass at any hour. The supervisor told me there was nothing he could do, after I explained my situation hysterically crying at the end. On top of all of this, their customer service is absolutely disgusting. They will answer the phone, put you on hold and then someone else will answer and just say “take care” or “bye” and hang up. Leaving you to have to repeat the process over and over again. I will be looking to refinance my truck with a new bank at the beginning of this new year. What a disgusting, horrible establishment.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

In August 2017 I was screwed by your dispute department --- in August 2017 I was in need of additional income. I try to live on my SSI check. I was emailed an ad for an online business -- so I opened up this ad which was nothing more than a big scamming company --- telling me I could start making great big money in a short time. The company NAME WAS MY DEVELOPMENT OFFICE so I signed up. They were asking me to put it on my credit cards --- $7000.00 --- so I put $3500.00 on my Citi c.c.-- & $3500.00 om my 5/3 c.c.

So after three coaching sessions -- two 30 minute - & one 10 minute sessions -- I could see that this was nothing more than a lie. The coach said that this is not working. I agreed and told him I was upset with the whole thing. And as this was happening. I received by registered U.S. mail a contract that need my signature. It said I had two weeks to sign & return it to them -- this was August 18, 2017. I rejected this contract on August 25, 2017 with their coach. They tried to strongarm me saying that I was compelled to this contract -- MY RESPOND WAS I REJECTED IT within their time frame -- so how was this possible???

So six days later this all happened with the coach -- on the phone --- So I told him to Bill me for his time & I was going to dispute these credit card charges --- Citi founded in my favor that I did not receive anything for my $3500.00. BUT 5 /3 Credit Card dispute DEPARTMENT even before I got off of the phone with this person in North Dakota said this did not look good for me. I received a letter from 5/3 Bank tell me to they were finding in these scammers side. I called two or three more time to the 5/3 dispute department. They said they would looking into it but they did nothing more in my dispute. Now I am getting charges for the $3500.00 plus interest and late fees. The 5/3 statement in only min payment -- the charges in 13 yrs will be over $ 7916.00. How can I ever make these payment... I scrimp & save to pay my ever rising property taxes -- let alone theses outrageous 5/3 credit card charges.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I just purchase a home and Fifth Third Bank took over the loan. I've been trying to pay my mortgage... Over the weekend I tried to establish online enrollment. It tells me I can't. Fair enough, I call the bank Monday morning and have been passed around and hung up on digitally 3 times now. I've been at this for 2 hours. If anyone tries to get a loan...run from Fifth Third Bank... My next step will be to try and refinance just to get out of it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

Horrible bank. Rude and flippant customer service reps, incompetent with all aspects of banking. They have screwed up my online bill pay multiple times with emails telling me I need to schedule a bill to be paid when it's already scheduled... Then it will be paid anyway, or just the opposite; I'll schedule a bill to be paid then it won't get paid, telling me it was never scheduled, when it was. The latest debacle came when (in the process of closing my account with them) I had a scheduled transfer to my new bank. I then noticed online that it was cancelled (no reason given).

I called customer no service and she guaranteed me that yes, the transfer was definitely cancelled. I told her she needs to be 100% certain because I will then schedule it to be transferred from my new bank's site and I don't want it coming out twice. "Oh no, it has definitely been cancelled." You would think I would have learned by now, not to trust anything they say, because sure enough, two days later, the cancelled transfer went through. By the time they alerted me to it (through email) it was too late for me to stop the transfer from my new bank's site.

Now, of course, the money has come out twice, leaving me with a negative balance and overdraft fees. After calling 3 different reps who said they would take care of it, nothing happened. I have since had to go to one of their brick and mortar banks and have a manager take care of this for me. I'll see what happens. I have now transferred back the money to Fifth Third and if the fees do not come off, I will take them to small claims court. I have a credit card with them and a mortgage, and I've been with them for 6 years. No more. Checking will be closed as soon as this problem that they caused is fixed. Then I will close the credit card, then I will refinance with another institution. I'm done.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Fifth Third Bank has been the worst experience with a bank that I have experienced in my young life, they might as well be criminal. I Deposited a check over the weekend. Usually my check would be available the next day if I deposited with a bank teller directly which is what I did and she told Me that it would be available the next day. It wasn't and my bank account went in the negative $24 but they were individual transactions so they charge to me individual Each one so $24 turned into $228 in the negative Even though I deposited a check that would have covered my transactions. Had I been told it wouldn't have been available until Tuesday from that Saturday morning and most banks would understand and work with you. Not them. They are a scam bank. A perfect example of Wall Street crooks.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I had used Fifth Third Bank for 10+ years (first checking account when I was 18) and have had nothing but problems with them since opening my credit card. I figured that it would be easiest to make payments as it would come right from my checking account that is WITH THE SAME BANK, but from February 2017-August 2017, I had to call and/or go in person every single month to “set up” my automatic payments because EVERY SINGLE MONTH they failed to actually activate it in their system. So, when I was told in May of 2017 to not worry, it had been set up and was totally ready to go, I didn’t call to check on them to make sure they had done their job like they said they had for the last 4 months prior to then, and the payments weren’t made for 3 months when they reported me to the credit bureau.

I owed something like $139 (because I essentially stopped using it due to the number of issues I’d had with them), I had $2000+ in my checking account WITH THIS SAME BANK, and they sent me to collections because they didn’t do their job AGAIN. So, now my credit score has gone down because they kept telling me that my automatic payments were set up when they were, in fact, never initiated. This bank is one of the most pathetic excuses of an establishment I’ve ever had the displeasure of working with and I’d advise anyone looking into opening an account to look legitimately ANYWHERE else before trusting these incompetent thieves!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

The subject may seem a bit dramatic but it encompasses the frustration of someone who is offered an incentive to open a checking account and once the checking account is open denied the incentive. It’s offensive and I will be closing my checking account and warning everyone I know to not trust your establishment.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

If I could give 0 stars I would. My mortgage gets bought by a new lender from time to time. This has never been an issue until Fifth Third. Suddenly they wanted to charge me $100 extra per month for escrow and told me I had a shortage of $1200. This has NEVER happened in all the years I had my mortgage. Sounds more like a greedy bank needs more funds to loan out. When I request a refund of the PMI they collected that they shouldn't have, I was told that they don't own the loan so there is nothing they can do. Really?! Then please pass my mortgage on to someone who can manage it properly. I wish there was a way to really make these big bankers pay for their wrongful actions.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I don't have an account with Fifth Third Bank but my business did years ago. We closed our account in September of this year. All of a sudden, today, November 9, 2017, our business account was debited for the amount of $2107 for something that I wasn't sure of so I called their customer service number. OMG... I was transferred, got disconnected, transferred, got disconnected over and over again. I was on the phone with them for well over 2 hours. At the conclusion, they possibly found what the charges were for and determined that they probably shouldn't have happened (would never really admit to this). Meanwhile, my account is out $2107 until they send it to their discrepancy department to "look" it over and determine if we get a refund!!! I will never, ever do business with this company and will yell it to the world to not do business with them as well.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I have been with Fifth Third for a little over a year and I'm not beyond causing my account to be overdrawn but they double charge me and try to explain why I got more than 1 fee even after same day deposit. This has happened several times. For example I had 7 + in my account I deposited 130 dollars. When I checked my account the next day I forgot to register a check but was charged 2 overdraft fees instead of 1. Is anyone else having the same issue. Is there anyway this can be rectified.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I had my 5/3 bank card stolen and 5600.00 of fraudulent charges were posted to my account. I notified the bank within 2 hours of these fraudulent charges. 5/3 gave me a provisional credit and then rescinded it 30 days later. They stated they had proof that I made the charges. They stated that there was a charge before that I approved which proved I had the card. I stated this was false. I gave them the police report and they still refused to give me credit. In a letter from 5/3 it states by law they are required to give me the documents they have for the decision. 5/3 refused to give me their documents. I hired an attorney and they gave us the runaround.

In 5/3 bank card contract it states that max out of pocket for fraud is 50.00. After talking our way up the ladder, we found out they the charges they were talking about were never paid because they determined them as fraud. These charges never showed up on my account and, hence, I had no knowledge of them. Therefore they should have rejected all charges after them. Clearly they knew these charges were false, yet determined that I would not fight them over this. It is a shame I had to hire an Attorney for this, when they admitted that my out of pocket should be 50.00, and they knew that I could not see the charges in question.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We received a scary notice that our Home Warranty from Fifth Third Bank was about to expire and our Water Heater was going to be replaced for up to $889. Our AC was ditto for $7134. Furnace for $5780. Refrig for $820. Now I know that this is all BOGUS and just an ILLEGAL attempt to milk Seniors out of their meager $$ but there is some that will be taken in. Our Gas & Electric Co. (Vectren) tried the similar tactic and when they opened my NASTY communique their crap stopped.

You should be ashamed if you're hooked up with this mean spirited, crooked, devious quintessentially un-American mobster concern. A pox on YOU and CURSE them to HELL. Ya know you or they or BOTH ** with the wrong US Paratrooper, 82nd Airborne Division, '57 to '60. I'll be extremely glad to meet any of you SOB's anywhere, anytime and Kick Your Sorry Asses!!!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

This is my second car with this bank, and again they tend to fail in customer service and contractual agreements. They will provide a loan at a certain amount under certain interest and will change you monthly amounts without giving you fair warning on why the change and when the change. So if your payment your monthly payments as agreed, they'll still report you late and unpaid because their computers automatically change the parameters. At the end they claimed I did not have insurance, when I actually did and provided proof. Still took over 8 months to clear up their mistakes. Yet still fighting my credit report now. AVOID THIS BANK AT ALL COST!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I've been having an issue with my auto loan account since September. I've been getting the run around trying to get the issue resolved. It's gotten to the point where my loan has ended up in the review for repossession. Every single time I've tried setting up some kind of payment schedule to resolve the problem, I've been told I need to pay the entire balance in full, I'm not allowed to do partial payments to catch up.

And to this very minute, no one has been able to assist me with the initial issue that caused me to fall behind on my payments!!! I even had to use other phones in order to get a hold of someone at the bank because every time I call from my cell phone, I get directed to a voicemail that is full and disconnects the call... If I could rate this bank it would be less than 1 star!!! I'm completely dissatisfied with the "customer service" being provided. And if I lived in a state where there was a local branch, maybe this issue wouldn't be as bad as it has gotten...

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Nothing but issues with this bank. Not informed of some of their policy/process. Charged unnecessary overdraft charges. After calling multiple times and staying very calm with the customer support people. Very upset at the moment and I am very happy to say that I will be closing both savings and checking account with this bank. Feel like I have been lied to and I know I've been stolen from...

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Nothing but trouble with this bank. Got an auto loan with them because the rate was low. They had me open a checking account to make payments on my auto loan because they charge you for any outside accounts. I set up direct deposit for just the amount of my auto loan to be paid. They started charging me banking fees when they said there was no minimum to have the checking. But they randomly upgraded my account to another checking that had a minimum fee. Had to get that fixed by calling them and getting routed through about 4 different lines before they finally found someone that could actually help me. When they randomly closed my account after a few months because I didn't have enough money in my account to keep my account open even though I still had an open auto loan with them. Their mobile app hardly ever works and always needs to have your password changed.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

This bank's fees are out of control. I had a check go through that I wish they had not paid after I get a taste of fees. I see why they do. Took me week to get funds in from client. I have 192 in fees. Some days. 72.00. Others 34.00. And all rest 8.00 a day. So I am sending in the original amount that they covered and disputing the fees and I had payroll going to use through them. Glad it hadn't started yet lol. Cancel and run from this bank is my best suggestion.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Since bank with Fifth Third Bank I've never been so broke. Within 3 months I've had over $600.00 taken from my account for overdraft fees. This banking facility does not care about their customers. I've tried to explain this had caused me a hardship. I didn't have enough money for me and my cat to eat on, no compassion understanding. Their theft of my money is criminal.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I have had a car loan with 5/3 since 2013 and have never missed a payment, so I haven't had any issues until now. The RMV gave me a form to send in to my lien holder to request the title. All I had to do was figure out where to send it--- easy, right? WRONG!!! So Wrong! First, their automated telephone answering system is like a brick wall. If none of the options apply, many businesses give you a way to bypass the automation situation--- not 5/3. When I finally DID get to a human, and explained that I needed an address to request a title, she acted like she was going to help me and then transferred me to another recording. This is my big problem, and why I will NEVER do any business with 5/3 again. They will not process a title transfer request. They have shut down all such operations and have out-sourced this function to another company that will do it for us--- for a fee!!!

So instead of them doing this part of servicing the auto loan, they have decided to OPT OUT OF CUSTOMER SERVICE, I'm guessing to up those profits and huge salaries for the top executives!!! They collect packages that are worth several million each year --- GOOGLE it! And we have to pay for our own title transfer, and spend our valuable time ordering it ourselves. And when I told the "customer service representative" that I thought this was ridiculous and that I was going to cancel my loan, and write to the President and Operations Manager of 5/3, she said "anytime someone makes a threat and talks about the President they have to speak to the supervisor".

I asked if the call was recorded and told her to look up the word threat in the dictionary. I am glad the call was, so she can review it with her supervisor and learn not to use inflammatory language in her role as a CSR. Filing a complaint with management is an appropriate course of action and should not be labeled as a "threat". What is wrong with our world? I waited for the supervisor who told me that it was their right to outsource the title transfer function and that my complaint to the president would not change anything.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Recently I went into Fifth Third Bank & ATM, 254 FL-436, Altamonte Springs, FL 32714 to inquire about their promotion on credit cards. Before leaving I had obtained a 0% card for 15 months, refinanced my car, and opened a checking and savings account. More importantly, however, I walked in as a customer and left feeling like a friend.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

5/3 when they first came over were a good bank. Good customer service, attentive and willing to fix issues. Been a customer thru the various acquisitions since 1999. For the last 5 years it has been going downhill. Spent almost 1.5 hours on the phone yesterday fixing up their error with auto bill pay (made payments to home equity NOT credit card). Was transferred to 6 people to find out that I need to fill out some paperwork and mail it back. Then today I am trying to pay my CC bill on the phone and keep getting bounced for over an hour. Time to change banks....

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I signed up with 5th 3rd Bank back in May and it has been a constant headache. Had problems with my debit cards just trying to set up a pin. Never knew a banking customer service ever to be closed on Sundays until this bank. The main reason I'm outraged at the bank is the line of Credit I had them sign me up for. They told me I qualified for 21,000.00 with a 12.59 interest rate which was fine until I went and used the money to pay off a time share. My first bill I got from the was 154.00 which I used 12,000.00 of the 21,000. I had paid 350.00 dollars before the payment was due. The next Bill I got was 254.00. What in the world. How could this be.

I call the girl who gave me loan. She gave me some b.s. excuse of the payment is supposed to come out of my checking account and because the money wasn't there that's why it went up. That made no sense whatsoever. So I go to a branch. Talk to someone else who called customer service and come to find out they charge you 1 percent interest of the amount you take out causing me to almost pay double the amount I was scheduled to pay. I have never heard of such a ignorant thing. If I had known this I would not had used this cause now I'm screwed due to lack of information from the employees at 5th 3rd. I even went to my bank later that day and explained what had happened and they even said they hear A LOT of complaints about 5th 3rd. My advice to you all: STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM THIS BANK. They are clueless and it's all about screwing you the consumer.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I have been with Fifth Third Bank for over 10 years now and over these years I have noticed they have decline in customer service. Recently all been about money. They take your money from you without even letting you know and leave you negative and charged overdraft fees daily!!! I do not recommend banking with Fifth Third at all. Customer service is terrible, when you call nobody can answer your questions and they transfer you to several departments just to have nobody call you back and never get your question answered and charging you fees! DO NOT BANK HERE UNLESS YOU LIKE PAYING FEES & HAVING YOUR MONEY STOLEN!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I recently opened a credit card account with Fifth Third Bank. $15000 limit. I'm sure at this point that I shouldn't have written a convenience check for the full $15000. I just received a statement for $15,000 plus the $450 convenience check fee and additional $525 fee for going over my limit (caused by the check fee). Wow... what a way to lose a customer. I will not pay $525 to them. If the check was causing my account to go over the limit, they should have not paid the check when it was presented to them. I will send them a check for the $15,000 plus the $450 check fee. Poor judgment on my part thinking Fifth Third was a reputable bank.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I was referred to 5/3 bank from my realtor back in 2008 when I was looking for a house... My home equity loan went good but when I started the process for a mortgage the loan officer from 5/3 asked if we currently had a mortgage on our existing building and I told him "No it's paid off." Now this was in the middle of the housing market crash.... Once this guy knew my house was paid in full he said "How much do you want? I can get you up to $500,000." I said "And this is why the housing market has crashed cause of bankers like you." I walked out of there... That was only the beginning. My husband was buy a new car and he got declined on the loan due to a bankruptcy that supposedly he filed. WE HAVE NEVER FILED Bankruptcy. It was a 5/3 credit card that we never opened and the balance was $4,000 seriously. This has haunted us for YEARS!!!

Now I paid off the loan with 5/3 I can close the checking account. Well I procrastinate in doing it then I notice an $11 service fee... WHAT!!! I called and the lovely customer service person told me I should be happy that I am only being charged half of their service fee. The other half is being waived. I shouldn't be charged no service fees... I go to close the account. 2 weeks later I get an overdraft fee... FOR A SERVICE FEE on an account I CLOSED!!! I call the customer service and the Banker who attended me NEVER CLOSED THE ACCOUNT OUT!!! Finally I am done with them!!! Do not bank with 5/3. They are horrible!!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Although I have most of my accounts at 5/3 bank, I've been denied loans with a credit score of 740. My husband's credit score needs some improvement so we tried to get a small personal loan, and even though we had more money in savings than we were going to borrow, we were denied because his score was 640. I feel as though they didn't work hard enough to help us. His credit was bad due to delinquent bills from an illness he had 7 years prior!! The only reason I haven't moved my money to another bank is because of lack of time. As far as feeling my money is safe, I do feel my assets are protected through 5/3 bank. I have love/hate feelings towards my bank.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I called in a dispute with another company whom was pulling funds from my account when I was told that it was a one-time fee and found out they had been pulling it for over two years. I informed the dispute claims department that it went back two years and they refunded that money back into my account. Afterwards I was receiving phone calls from Fifth Third Bank stating they pulled back the funds from my account which made my account overdrawn.

I called and spoke with Fifth Third Bank supervisor and she told me that after the dispute team did investigation, which wasn't told that over the phone when I did dispute that they were going to be dirty and sneak behind my back and investigate then turn around and take from my account. I told the supervisor that it wasn't my fault, why not take from the third party and not your supposedly caring customer. I will never bank with Fifth Third Bank again. They do not care about their customer. They are about funded their bank.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Had several issues with tellers accepting a check drawn on my Fifth Third Bank account and forged by my estranged wife whereby she signed my name, crossed it out, then wrote on the back of the check "payable to **" and they STILL cashed the check for $8,000.00. I could NOT get the money back into my account.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information