1.13/5
Based on 91 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Fifth Third Bank

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 23, 2018

739 Fifth Third Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

First of all, let me start off by saying their customer service is horrible and they are absolutely clueless. I set my account up on online and I inputted a coupon I received in the mail (which was the only reason I gave them a shot at all). After setting up the whole account it seems as if my coupon was changed to another promotion and the initial promotion was not attached to my account which I didn't find out until I reached out to their customer service via email. So I went into the branch in Columbus, OH Taylor Station Rd and sat and spoke with a banker who said she was going to research and call me once her manager came out of the meeting.

After several attempts to call and constantly being placed on hold almost two weeks passed and I decided to return to the branch. After the banker notice who I was, she came up to me and say, "I emailed home office about the issue and yet to receive a response," yet she didn't contact me at all with an update. Very unprofessional. But that's not it. I order checks when I set up my account on Jan 25, 2018, and as of today Feb 23, 2018, I have still yet to receive them. After three calls with three different reps including one supervisor I was told different information. It was 10 days then 14 days now 15 days that the checks will be here from the order day Feb 01, 2018. My experience with this organization has been the worst and I can't wait to close my account this coming Monday. I know it was a reason why many of my friends and family bank elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

My payment's final due date is the 16th of the month. However days ahead of that I start getting calls from collectors asking me if I am having financial hardships, living in the home, renting it out, etc. My credit union in the meantimes shows my payment was made by ePay days earlier and on time. This has happened again and again and collectors admit that payments take seven or more days to be posted. So why start collection services aggravating phone calls prior to even the due date.

Another issue I have is that I am hard of hearing and 2/3 of their callers do not speak English well. Therefore I have requested that any verbal communications be made through my wife. We have made this request by a three way call to the mortgage department and also hand returned their form for this to the San Jose Blvd Branch in Jacksonville. Waste of time and fuel. Last my escrow was short in 2017 and I was given the shortage amount and I paid it. However months later they are still billing me the old unadjusted amount.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Fifth Third bought my home loan from another company. The loan payment is "past-due" on the 16th of each month. Every single month, they call on the 14th wanting to know why my payment is "past-due". My Bank, pays it on the 13th. It has NEVER been past due and I have asked them not to call. I would NEVER do business with this bank if not forced to. I have had at least 5 other home loans, paid them on on the 13th and never had ONE CALL. These guys need to be throttled back by a government agency!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I applied for a line of credit for a rental property. The person I met with first failed to tell me there was a yearly $69.00 charge. I went forward anyway because I felt she had spent a lot of her time with me and thought it was the right thing to do. I made it quite clear that I did not want a mortgage and she assured me it was not a mortgage, just a line of credit.

I subsequently received a letter from Fifth Third that clearly referred to a "mortgage" not a line of credit and asking me for further information. I checked this out with a couple of Fifth Third branches to be sure I was understanding correctly, and both assured me that it was a "mortgage" not a Line of Credit. I had told the person I did not want a mortgage as I had just paid the home off. I was told that they had clicked on the wrong pull down button but I have no doubt that had I not questioned I would have had a $50,000 mortgage I did not want. I think they knew exactly what they were doing. I then cancelled by request for a loan on the phone and via email. This was a few weeks ago.

Today I got a letter stating they were turning me down for the line of credit and citing "too much debt for my income," which is clearly wrong as I only have a mortgage on my residence and pay credit cards off in full each month. I also have an 850 credit score. I feel this was a retaliation. I will never use Fifth Third again and will be closing all of my accounts with them as soon as possible and will let everyone who indicates they are applying for credit or a mortgage to steer clear of Fifth Third Bank.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I'm that person that is going to say "I'm only leaving 1 star because I have to... Yup this bank deserves 0 stars!" I have had an installment loan with them for years and have had nothing but issues! I will admit I have been behind on payment but have been trying my hardest to rectify the situation... Do they care? NO! I don't know who runs this place but they are never willing to own up to mistakes on their part! FIRST OFF this bank decides how to apply your payments not you! Do not think for a second you are in control. I keep calling on the phone to make payments to make sure I'm current and there is always fees I want explained... They say I'm current then bam! Next month I'm 3 months behind again. I wish I could explain the whole situation but I'm confused myself!

Also, the customer service reps. And bankers are nice so I guess that's why they get a star, but they can never provide an answer other than that's the way it is. They constantly keep transferring you to different departments having you re-verify your info. So I receive mail from them right? Yup... My address is on the mail right? So why that the address I'm providing them is incorrect? EVERY TIME! There is so much more but I will not go on about this too much more. I just want to add the last supervisor who I was trying to get an explanation from simply put me on hold for ten minutes and then transferred my call back to a customer service rep! Who asked me for my info AGAIN!

Now let me tell you about the weird multilayer overly complicated checking saving accounts they set me up with. 2 checking accounts linked together with 2 debit cards and a third card I can only describe as a prepaid debit card. So money was to be deposited into one account and then I was supposed to manually transfer it to the other account and only use that account to spend out of. The other card you could put money on but not transfer back off. Okay it was weird but not so bad I thought at first until I started trying to pay bills out of it. 3 different companies I paid bills to from the account. All companies bills showed paid but the money did not come out of my account or show in the statements. Companies said bills where paid. Bank said they had no idea...

30 days later all where returned because they didn't clear even though there was money in the account... FIFTH THIRD ACCEPTED NO RESPONSIBILITY and I paid all the fees. I went to speak with a personal banker that could only come up with I had a "phantom account" what? I had never heard of such a thing probably because it is like a 1 in a billion chance or something. Well I stopped using the accounts at the advice of the banker I only had a few dollars in the accounts but didn't want to close so I could deposit money to pay my installment loan. One day they were all just closed no one knew why nor did I get my $6 back... Needless to say this bank is awful. Save yourself the frustration and go to Wintrust!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

"No Sir, I cannot do that." Get used to this if you work with Fifth Third. Doing anything, even the most mundane banking task is almost impossible and will take multiple phone calls and transfers (with dropped calls along the way). I had a car loan with Fifth Third and regretted it from the first day. They are the worst bank I have ever dealt with. Their services are terrible. Even paying off my loan was a near impossible task with delays, restrictions and multiple callbacks. The little that I saved in interest on the loan was more than devoured by their general inefficiencies and the copious time I wasted on the phone with them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Due to hurricane Irma with a mandatory evacuation, lost wages, and minor home damage we took advantage of the deferment 5th 3rd bank was offering. We opted for deferring September and October payments. We never received anything in writing and my wife has worked in the auto finance industry found it odd they did not send an addendum to our contract. She called and was told by customer service no late fees were being assessed so everything was fine and in order.

We received one letter regarding the account which she called and emailed them about and again told everything was fine. We made our November and December accordingly and our truck was repoed on December 30th saying we never signed and returned the paperwork. They applied the November and December payments to September and October and repoed us for non-payment for November and December! No apologies, they won't remove the repo fees and said fixing our credit now isn't an option! They won't acknowledge this is their mistake! If their customer service department said everything was in order and we never received any correspondence saying it wasn't, we would have acted and responded!

The worst customer service I have ever encountered! Shouldn't they send you something telling you you're in default prior to the extent of a repo?! How does their customer service get away with saying you're on a deferment and then say you're not?! Scammers! What a way to treat their customers by offering Hurricane relief and then ruin your life in return! We have been hung up on numerous times when they can't answer a direct question. Worst customer service ever! Over 32 years of financing vehicles in my lifetime and never came across a company like this!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

This is a not a bank but more of a scam company. I opened an account and they automatically enrolled me to receive checks and charged me $23.99. They also did not mention the $11.00 a month fee they would also be charging. I called to dispute the 23.99 charge and they said they could not help me and to return the checks that they sent. I have not received any checks and they said to wait 2 more weeks to see if they come. This to me resembles theft.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Fifth Third has been the worst Mortgage experience ever. My mortgage was sold to 53.com and ever since that time I am phone harassed. Mortgage is due on the 1st with a grace of 15 days typically paid around 6th or 7th. No issues always paid on time. Now with 53.com on the fourth day of the month the calls start 3 to 4 times a day even Sundays. I have spoke to their reps a million times. Forget it nothing helps. Now I refuse to pay my mortgage until the 15th.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

If I could give 0 stars I would. As a matter of fact, I would like to give a - 5-star rating. This has been hands down the worst experience. Absolute nightmare. I have spoken with over a dozen representatives and all the issues I have read here so far, have all happened to me. We purchased a Chevy and 5/3 Bank gave the loan. I had never ever heard of this bank and I wish that was still my reality. I set up a payment account that I use for my business with plenty of funds in it. I set up the external account with the 5/3 app. I made my first payment the day before it was due. The account reflected the change and all was fine. I started getting robo calls from an unknown number that never left a voicemail.

Finally, I answered the phone and found out that it was 5/3. They use autodial numbers and don't leave messages. To make a very long story short, the app does not work and they told me that after the fact. We had our bank cut a cashier's check to make the first payment and it cleared. I spoke to someone that told me there was a block on the payee account. They said it was due to a reversal for non-sufficient funds. My bank saw NO attempt to withdraw funds from 5/3. I got the block removed and got a confirmation screen saying it was successful. Only to find that THE NEXT DAY there was no account attached and when I tried to add again it said 'technical difficulties.'

All the while I know there is money in the account and I set up recurring payments with a specialist on the phone. Only to get more calls saying I am delinquent. After being hung up on repeatedly. This bank is terrible and should lose its ability to bank until it figures out how to. I want to refinance with another bank as soon as I can. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

We have a car loan with Fifth Third and in the past 8 months they've sent my car to repo twice. We had a problem with our electronic payments and they put a lock on our account. So when we set up payments they would not process out of our bank account. We worked with customer service and they said everything was fine. But what they did not tell us is that our account was in collections.

After speaking with one supervisor after another trying to put the pieces together as to what was happening, I discovered that the customer service auto dial system does not connect with the collections auto dial system. So the customer service person had no idea that there was a problem with my account getting ready to go to repo. In fact, the customer service customer called me and talked to me and said everything was fine with my account. Two days later at midnight, a guy shows up saying he was told to pick the car up for repossession and would not tell me anything about what was going on.

I talked to 2 Customer Service supervisors who both hung up on me after I kept probing deeper into how something like this could happen when I had talked to customer service 2 days ago and they said everything was fine. I asked why didn't anyone call me about my car being in such default and they said I should know what my bill is and refused to continue to talk further to me. In fact they hung up the phone. I then went on social media to express my concerns and a customer service manager called me.

We talked and I explained how the customer service person misrepresented the status of my account to me and insisted that someone explain how this could happen and he said he would need to escalate the problem. Fifth Third is a bank and they have a fiduciary responsibility to the people who they take money from to duly notify them of issues and concerns properly. It is not what they did, it is how they misrepresented information to me and would not try to work to a resolution. I can accept that people on the floor may not know, but I do not accept that management should get a bye on this. I expect that upper management will crawl from behind their desks and reach out to at least say we own this problem and will work to train our people better.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Fifth Third has been the worst Mortgage experience ever. I fell a bit behind and requested assistance and they helped, alright, but charged me thousands of dollars in fees to simply take the payment that was behind and spread it amongst payments. Trying to get any answers as to what you paid and why is a nightmare, on the phone for hours and still don't know why they charged me what they did. At that same time, I was paying too much in Escrow and they will not even look at Escrow until April to assess and it's February. Perhaps I would not have fallen behind to begin with if my Escrow wasn't grossly overestimated. They will not work with you to even understand the fees and fines as they are robbing you. I pay thousands of dollars each year in interest and they only look to how they can charge you more. I will refi this the moment I can as well as tell anyone and everyone I can to not do business with them. BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I have been dealing with a known issue with Fifth Third Bank for over three months. It is possible to create an external account from the Fifth Third Online banking website. I have created an external account for an account at another bank. I have confirmed that the external account is listed on the FifthThird Online banking website under Accounts and Payees (type non FifthThird account) and that the account has been verified.

However, when I attempt to perform a transfer, only Fifth Third accounts are listed under accounts to be selected for a transfer. I have an open ticket with Fifth Third Bank for this problem. I have escalated to the office of the President for Fifth Third Bank; I have provided screenshots of this problem to Fifth Third Bank. Fifth Third Bank has acknowledged that this is a known problem; they indicated they have been aware of this problem since approximately last September. Fixing this problem is not a high priority for this bank. Their solution is just to keep me posted that they are working on this problem.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. I purchased a vehicle from a dealership in Arizona and had it shipped to me out in Tennessee. The loan was funded by them and so the lean had to be put on the title. To do that the dealership had to electronically file the title in Arizona. To register my vehicle I require the title be sent to Tennessee and they are refusing to do this. They continuously refer me to a third party company and claim that they don't hold titles. I contacted their third party and they want me to pay $50 to transfer and say it will take 7 to 10 weeks. I am not willing to pay this banks fees so I spoke with someone who claims to be a supervisor and all she has to say is, "I guess you will not get your vehicle registered." This bank has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I'm going to find another bank to take the loan.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I've been banking with Fifth Third for almost two or three years and at the beginning I had problems with service fees but now I'm having problems with service fees again. I just checked my account and was charged $67 and service fees for this month and then the last month was about 30. The month before that was 50. The month before that was 30. So over the last 4 months I've lost out a hundred and $60 so finally I called them and asked them why I'm being charged so much and service fees and they credited me $50 back and basically told me the hundred and ten was for ATM withdrawals and paying bills from online.

So basically I'm getting charged to use my own ** money. So I've been going through some health conditions for the last couple months and haven't been able to work. That's the only reason why I caught onto this because I only had $100 left in my account to pay my rent and when I went to go pull it out and we had $40 in my account because they had took in 70. So yeah definitely don't business bank account here that's for damn sure or you won't have no ** money.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have been with Fifth Third Bank for nearly 30 years and like all banks they have had moments of aggravating me but I am finally done. I transferred money from another account and it did not get posted to my Fifth Third account. I did an early access transfer at a cost of $30.00 to cover the overdraft and told that the OD fees of $185.00 that were pending would not go through. They waived the $74.00 fee from the previous day. Well the fees of $185.00 went through and they will not refund any of it. All because they did not post my transfer in a timely fashion.

I have done this in the past and it has always went through nearly immediately so I did not know to check earlier. They just kept repeating this account is not eligible for reimbursement. They took it out and they can put it back in but they choose not to help a customer of thirty years. Goodbye Five Three! This site made me choose a 1-5 star rating, if it was up to me it would be a zero. I do not believe in stealing money from anyone and obviously if I have overdrawn my account, I do not have extra money.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I would not ever use this bank. Unfortunately, Rapid Chevrolet dealership in South Dakota used this bank to finance a loan for my daughter and I. I could not refinance the loan because they do not have a bank in South Dakota. They did nothing to help. They could not care less about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I ordered a sample vitamin from an email. I was to give my address and credit card information. The sample was $4.95. I read everything carefully. My bank statement then shows reoccurring on the $4.95??? I call Fifth Third. No one can tell me anything. I go into the branch. Not one person can explain what it means either. I call the 800 number on my statement and get no answer. Next I know $170 is taken from my account! Apparently, this company took my information and signed me up as a member. I have yet to know what member means. Since I did not know I was a member, I did not know to cancel. I had not even finished the sample!

Fifth Third did nothing. Every time I called I got a different story. Every time I did what they told me to do regarding a dispute, it was not enough. I resubmit a dispute as they request, and they send me a paper in the mail with the wrong information! Unbelievable. If you want to feel safe with a banking institution, do not go to Fifth Third! They are not for the customer, they do not know how to read their own statements, they cannot give you anything helpful at all. I am pulling everything out before they allow other companies to take advantage of me.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

5/3rd Bank closed my express banking for no reason and I had a few dollars in there and they took it. Sometimes the bank can be nice or mean. I would advise people to stay away and open an account with another bank.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have had a home equity loan with 5/3 since 2004, all was well in the first few years but then I got a month behind and caught up but it had never been the same. The monthly statement is the most difficult statement to read. I have now resorted to calling in to pay and I will say is that all I owe and for several months after making my payments they will continue to call and say I owed more than I paid.

Well last night I got a call saying I owed 103 then it was 17.80 more than what I had paid. This now has affected my credit as they called on the 31 day to tell me I owed 17.80 more but it was as they stated an "Honest Mistake". Ok so when I had made my original payment this month I said, "What will I owe next month," first he says 83, then I responded with, "That is not right, not enough," then he comes back with 111.00, well yesterday when I paid the "honest mistake of 17.80" I was told that I owe 181.00 for the next month. I am fed up, need some help with this... I think they have jerked me around and screwed with my credit because this has happened several times. I don't know what to do. I am trying to pay it off but have 5300 left. It is the worst experience with a bank I have ever had.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

So yet again another bank who is in direct violation of the Homeowners Protection Act (HPA). PMI when 5 years or When you owe 79% or less of the original amount they are supposed to drop the PMI. I had my home appraised last year and I had over the equity needed to get rid of the PMI but they said you have to keep it 5 years that was the agreement. OK so January is 5 years so I called and asked when I could see the PMI off my bill they said, "Oh no you have to write a request and it takes 8-10 weeks to process." I said, "OK but I will expect a refund for every month you collect past the date with interest." They said, "Oh no that’s not possible." I said, "It will be if I have to get legal representation as well as legal fees." So sick of these banks who were all bailed out for doing a crappy job hitting us where it hurts. Will update when I have an answer but I am not too optimistic.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I have been a customer of Fifth Third Bank since 1998. Recently I decided to move my IRA account to another service provider. I called to let my account manager know and that I would be coming into the office in 5 days. She did not return my call and had not done anything to facilitate my request. I was told that I needed to have my new provider fill out a form and fax it to Grand Rapids. The phone number she gave me did not work. Now, almost three weeks later, after calling the account manager, the branch manager, customer service and headquarters, I still do not have my money.

Today, the branch manager told me that you required the EXACT time that the form was faxed to you, after I told him the date and that it was between noon and 1pm EST. This is no longer ridiculous, it has become tedious and I have begun posting my own campaign on FB, Yelp, Google, Twitter and IG to let people know how awful your service is and how far you will go to ensure that no one can move their money. I had $112,000 in checking that I am closing tomorrow. Suntrust transferred my money after 20 minutes. You, on the other hand, are holding 25% of my net worth hostage. It is unbelievable that this has happened. I will now pursue legal recourse.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Normally, I would tell people how much I like banking with Fifth Third because the one in my small town has very nice people working there that are very helpful. My problem is not with any of them. They have been very good to me. My problem is with the people I contacted at the 800 # about their online banking system. This concerns my online banking account and a glitch in their system that they are unwilling to make good for. I am constantly having problems with it. Every month without fail it will not allow me to post payments without saying they are having technical difficulties and wait until later. I have to try over and over again just to pay my bills.

Now I went on there to check the status of one of my bills and it wasn't even listed. It completely disappeared, nowhere to be found. I know how to use my online banking account. I am very familiar with it. My Duke Energy payment was no longer listed. It was not under 'scheduled.' It was not under 'being processed.' It was not under history until it was too late and I already posted the same payment twice thinking I must have thought I paid it and didn't if it wasn't listed anywhere. It was nowhere to be found but showed up later after it was too late and two payments for the same bill were sent out.

The bank then lied to me. A lady in the dispute department did not give me her direct contact information claiming I didn't need it because if I called back the next day she guaranteed anyone in the dispute department would fix it for me once the second payment to Duke Energy posted and get my money back and not charge me anything. She lied because I called the next day and the dispute department said they don't even handle such matters and the person they transferred me to said they couldn't help me. He said I'd have to call Duke Energy back, but they were unwilling to help also.

I'm on disability income so when my bank account bounces I get charged $30 and when I can't pay rent on time I get charged $50, so I would be charged an extra $80 that I have no way of paying on my income because the bank was unwilling to help me with something a glitch in their system caused. I have no way of proving it. I just hope they all have online banking with Fifth Third and when it happens to them, they will find out I'm telling the truth because nothing has been done to fix the problem and I'm very upset about it. I have lost complete trust in Fifth Third's online banking. I cannot count on the information they list to be accurate at any given time. It needs to be fixed so they don't cause this to happen to anyone else or happen to me again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I am mortgage customer of Fifth Third Bank. I pay my mortgage on time and I even have escrow balance with the bank, they are charging my 4.12% interest on my loan. I pay nearly $400 per month in interest payment. We recently sold my rental property and my attorney requested a pay off statement from the bank four days prior to our closing day and we did not get anything from them - no response whatsoever. So my Attorney called their 800 number and their customer service person promised to have it available to us one day prior to the closing date. They took my $15 fee. And they did not send us the pay off statement and no one even responded with why I will not get my pay off statement - this bank is so unresponsive. I called their 800 number all day long and they all are ready to process the pay off and earn that $15 charge each time I will talk to their "STUPID" customer service reps. I bet they are all commission there.

Just like Chase and all other large banks (who are in no need for customer service - they would rather have us talk to bots online and ATMs - of course when they want my money they will send the salesperson right away). They are only after your money and for your mortgage so they can make money off your money and charge you money for the loans you take. These banks are way too large and they simply do not care anymore. And of course, our Govt bails them out when they screw up so they can rule as they wish. None of the Fifth Third phone services people I talked to today have any answers - why do they even work there? You should take your money and keep it somewhere else - these guys are pathetic.

So on the day of my closing I am without the payoff statement - I go to a local branch. As soon as they open I am there. I spent more than one hour at the branch to figure out why my pay off statement was not processed when it was put in four days ago. The Branch Manager at the local branch was nice. I must say that the Branch Manager at their Rosemont, IL location was decent, Collette was her name. She tried to help me; she must have contacted nearly 10 people. NO KIDDING. She literally dialed 10 numbers in their corporate mortgage department (this was on Dec 15) and No One, No One picked up the phone - she even emailed a few people and no one responded. I am sitting there in Collette's office texting my attorney who is at the title company with buyers and my buyers are panicking. They are very upset - here my bank is non-responsive. We ended up delaying the closing.

Fifth Third has earned $1,000's from my mortgage with them - and this is what they do to me after making so much money from me. This is of course capitalism - and as a little consumer like me has no chance to stand up against unruly large corporations like the Fifth Third Bank. However, I do have the power to not give them my money. Kudos to the Branch Manager in Rosemont IL - perhaps because of good people like Collette there is some sanity in grab my money and run corporate driven society we live in.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

First things first. This bank is by far the most deplorable, piss poor example of a reputable bank I've encountered in all my years of banking. This is coming from a customer of 5/3 of over 10 years! I initially was happy to join the bank at 19 in 2007 when I was a freshmen in college. I essentially had no major issues with it for years and I was happy. I even had a new account opened after my card was compromised online. Fast forward to 2017, I have my checking/savings account and a credit card with them. I knew their credit card was a scam when I first got it in 2014 after I made one purchase and paid it off right away and was still charged interest for the one purchase. I was advised by a friend who was smart with money to cut the card up and never use it again because closed accounts can bring down your credit score so I kept it but didn't use it for the longest time because of that.

I've been living on the west coast since early 2015 so the only way to get money in my account is through check or direct deposit. I've been going through financial hardship since the summer because of a career switch. I've over drafted a lot and I know they charge you a fee but recently I over drafted $110 including a couple small charges that came out I thought already came out. I was going to put money in there to cover it and more but something told me to check before I did, I had pending $185 in overdraft fees. I called thinking they would at least meet me halfway but instead I was met with incompetent, careless customer services agents who like many others gave me the runaround.

Now because I've paid so much this year in fees, I refuse to give them another cent for fees because $185 IS COMPLETELY INSANE for any bank to charge. Also, if I had money to throw away like that I CLEARLY wouldn't have over drafted at all!!! I was instructed to call the branch where I opened it at since there is no 5/3 bank in my entire state so when I did I thought it would be a more caring person but instead I received the same attitude and horrible lack of customer service from someone who worked at a branch.

Needless to say I am going to gather up the money that I over drafted so my account is at zero and I am cancelling my account ASAP. It's sad to throw 10 years down the drain but I'M NO LONGER FINANCING 5/3 BANK THROUGH UNNECESSARY, OUTRAGEOUS FEES. I also closed my credit card with them and I plan on closing my savings account as well. Do not do service with this ridiculous bank, THEY WILL LITERALLY FEE YOU TO DEATH!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I went through Fifth Third Bank because I trusted the loan officer (she was awesome) for my mortgage on a new home purchase. I then switched all my banking over to them. Then my journey with Fifth Third began. I highly recommend that you do not do your banking with them. Their policies are not as good as Huntington or other banks I've dealt with in the past. They charged me for two mortgage payments around Xmas. Then when I asked them to refund one payment back into my account that I didn't authorize they said it would take 24 hours but they wouldn’t charge me the overdraft fee. Thanks for not charging me an overdraft fee for taking money out of my account that I didn't authorize.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Don't do business with Fifth Third for a credit card. They will sell your information. The online banking doesn't work. If you pay off and close an account, they will continue to charge you money and add fees and interest. This has been the worst credit card company I've ever dealt with. I have closed my account and still have problems with them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Have had my auto loan with Fifth Third Bank for 2 uneventful years then it got stolen. It was recovered less than a week later. I got the van back and made repairs and have been using it daily and making scheduled payments. Three months later was going online to make the monthly payment when I noticed a $125 fee added on for "repo close fee". I couldn't imagine what this was so called their 800 number. As is stated in review after review I was bounced all over the place from department to department with each one claiming ignorance of the charges. I finally got an answer from someone who said they had been notified by the impound lot that they had their collateral so Fifth Third said they had to send someone to check on their interests.

Now I have insurance and been making regular payments so find this "repo fee" ridiculous. I question what the repo dept did to earn this fee since it was only impounded for 3 days and it was 3 months later when they charged me. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income and sure do not appreciate this bank adding salt to the injury after getting my van stolen. After Googling complaints against Fifth Third bank I felt some comfort in knowing I was not alone being robbed by this bank but question after reading 100s of complaints how they can continue to get away with these actions. At the least I would like to see documentation of their actions concerning this $125 fee. What did they do to earn it???? Totally unnecessary IMO.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Two payments for my truck were taken out in one month. I am a teacher so I do not make enough to make two payments in one month. I was told I was being reimbursed for one of the payments and should see it returned within 7-10 business days. 10 days go by and I check my account, the money was not returned. I called and was advised I would not be getting my money back and would be used as my next payment.

This is the month of Christmas, and I now do not have the extra money to buy gifts for My family or buy the gas to go home and see my grandmother who is going to pass at any hour. The supervisor told me there was nothing he could do, after I explained my situation hysterically crying at the end. On top of all of this, their customer service is absolutely disgusting. They will answer the phone, put you on hold and then someone else will answer and just say “take care” or “bye” and hang up. Leaving you to have to repeat the process over and over again. I will be looking to refinance my truck with a new bank at the beginning of this new year. What a disgusting, horrible establishment.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

In August 2017 I was screwed by your dispute department --- in August 2017 I was in need of additional income. I try to live on my SSI check. I was emailed an ad for an online business -- so I opened up this ad which was nothing more than a big scamming company --- telling me I could start making great big money in a short time. The company NAME WAS MY DEVELOPMENT OFFICE so I signed up. They were asking me to put it on my credit cards --- $7000.00 --- so I put $3500.00 on my Citi c.c.-- & $3500.00 om my 5/3 c.c.

So after three coaching sessions -- two 30 minute - & one 10 minute sessions -- I could see that this was nothing more than a lie. The coach said that this is not working. I agreed and told him I was upset with the whole thing. And as this was happening. I received by registered U.S. mail a contract that need my signature. It said I had two weeks to sign & return it to them -- this was August 18, 2017. I rejected this contract on August 25, 2017 with their coach. They tried to strongarm me saying that I was compelled to this contract -- MY RESPOND WAS I REJECTED IT within their time frame -- so how was this possible???

So six days later this all happened with the coach -- on the phone --- So I told him to Bill me for his time & I was going to dispute these credit card charges --- Citi founded in my favor that I did not receive anything for my $3500.00. BUT 5 /3 Credit Card dispute DEPARTMENT even before I got off of the phone with this person in North Dakota said this did not look good for me. I received a letter from 5/3 Bank tell me to they were finding in these scammers side. I called two or three more time to the 5/3 dispute department. They said they would looking into it but they did nothing more in my dispute. Now I am getting charges for the $3500.00 plus interest and late fees. The 5/3 statement in only min payment -- the charges in 13 yrs will be over $ 7916.00. How can I ever make these payment... I scrimp & save to pay my ever rising property taxes -- let alone theses outrageous 5/3 credit card charges.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information

www.53.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use