1.07/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

807 Fifth Third Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Avoid using Fifth Third Bank credit cards! I paid off a small balance in June. After that, a small finance charge of $1.16 was applied to my account. I never received any statements online or mail. I also never received a call that I had a payment due. They reported my credit to all three credit bureaus over $1.16! I called customer service and this "manager" was extremely arrogant and rude. She said that I definitely DID receive a statement (as if she has access to my email). I asked to speak to her supervisor and she refused to transfer me, and stated she was the highest person I can deal with. Also, their online banking does not offer an option for auto pay. I never had a bank that did not offer that option. I repeat. Do NOT use this company. This is the way they will treat you!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I have recently moved over to Fifth Third. This past week I had manually deposit my paycheck, since direct deposit was not finalized. When I went into the branch the teller told me that only the first $100 would available right away and the remaining funds would be available the next day. The following day I went to try to withdraw some funds from the account. I was told there are insufficient funds. When I called customer service they told me a 14 day hold was put on my paycheck. Without giving me any particular reason why. I’m wondering if anyone else experienced a similar situation with Fifth Third? If so what needed to be done to get it resolved?

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I'm not sure why this bank takes 3 or more days to transfer funds to an outside bank. I'm no longer interested in this bank after 3 years. If I had a recurring bill or simply wanted to send my child funds in college there would be a terrible delay.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Without going into lengthy detail about my business account, personal account and mortgage experience, these are the need to knows: 1). The main branch telephone is mostly answered by a remote calling center, if at all. 2). The local branch rarely answers the telephone and does not respond to left messages. Email communications are only sometimes answered. 3). Important communication between the branches and main office are done by e-chat and not by telephone. Therefore, visits to the local branch are mostly ineffective when it comes to problem solving. 4). There are plenty of hidden fees and costs.

5). The online banking experience is an absolute disaster and often non-functional. This is impossible to rectify because of the impossibility of getting an efficient telephone response, even though an 800 number is given as a prompt. I went to the local branch to try to get back into all paper and I was told it could not be done. Therefore, any extra payments I wish to make must be done in person at a branch. 6). After incredible angst and frustration, it was explained to me that if I had a minimum of $100,000 on deposit, I would be better treated. 7). I have closed down as much as I possibly can, but I was not “allowed” to close down automatic payments from a 5/3 checking account that I no longer wish to have and switch to paper statements for payment. In closing, be prepared for all of the above if choosing Fifth Third.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

By May 2017, the Fifth Third Bank bought my mortgage from a different institution. In the middle of the month of June, 2017, I called the bank to see how I could send my monthly payment for two months ahead. They gave me the instructions to follow and I sent two separate checks. The bank gave me credit for just one of the payments, not the for the second payment. I spent more than 15 hours on the phone and at one of the local branch trying to find out what happen to my second mortgage payment.

Finally I was told me that at the time they got the checks, the monthly mortgage payment was more than what I normally paid. To pay for a month, they used part of the money of the second check. But what happen with the remaining $800.00 I sent in? - They said they sent the money back to me. When I told them that I never receive that money, they changed their story. They said the money was paid against my principal. I asked for evidence, since that none of the statements showed any activity in that effect. They promised me an investigation. Today is November 2, 2018 and I am still waiting to hear from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have been with Fifth Third (5/3) Bank for 4.5 years and have a very negative experience since day 1. (I wrote this review while I was on hold, trying to reach customer service). They make expensive mistakes ($1,200) - We got our mortgage from Fifth Third Bank when we bought our house. In our negotiation, the sellers were to cover $5,000 of closing costs. Just before loan closure, I got a call from the senior mortgage officer telling me that he wasn't sure that the $5,000 would be enough and he thought I should agree to increase my interest rate to cover the difference. If that was done, the difference would be less than $5,000 dollars. He assured me that I would be given the difference (I specifically asked). However, the remaining $1,200 dollars was refunded to the sellers.

Don't complete work in a timely manner - We signed a contract for our house ~2 months before closing. We had been pre-approved and all documents were submitted in a timely manner. Fifth Third Bank demonstrated very poor service in completing the documents on their end. They were barely able to get the paperwork complete to wire the money for closing on our close date.

Unable to add spouse- Fifth Third Bank would not give my wife access to account. Multiple phone calls were made to add her to the account and I was assured that she would be added. Eventually I was told that I would have to go to the branch to fill out the appropriate paperwork. I went in on two occasions and filled out the paperwork, but they still wouldn't give her any information - not even a balance over the phone. Unexpected fees - We tried to use our account as little as possible because of the fees and hassles of working with them. Despite rarely using checks, they would still periodically send us books of checks that we never asked for and bill us for them.

Difficulty getting through - We recently sold our house. We were so excited to finally close our account with Fifth Third Bank. As soon as they deposited our money we transferred it to an institution we trust. Weeks later they still haven't closed the account and they just charged us the monthly fee for the checking account that we don't use, that put us into overdraft. *This they actually just reversed over the phone when I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was on hold for ~20 minutes before the call was answered by customer service. She wanted to transfer me and told me to expect to be on hold for 11 more minutes. I wasn't too happy about that. In conclusion, we are so happy to finally have this account closed. We have had a very negative experience with Fifth Third Bank. I cannot recommend that anyone go to them for a mortgage or for an account.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I paid for Homeowner's Insurance to American Family Insurance and to 2 different companies in 2016 that 53 Bank placed on my mortgage account. I paid the companies that were added to my mortgage account in 2016 a total of $832. I reported this incident in 2017 to 53 Bank when I notice the 2 companies on my statement and I was told that I would have to wait until 2018 to get the $832 back to me when the escrow is recalculated. Now when I call, 53 Bank refuses to give the $832 back to me. I have gave numerous of documents that 53 Bank requested from me. I need help with this situation. No matter how many documents I submit to 53 Bank they keep saying they need more documents. It is not acceptable to charge someone extra for a whole year and then refuses to give them the money back.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I am kicking myself for not trusting the reviews I read before opening an account with this bank. I opened my account 9/8/18 and on 10/23/19 my account has been hacked and put into the negative. I immediately called customer service and sat on hold for about 10-15 waiting for someone to answer. Mind you it was 6:30am. What nonsense could possibly going on that early in the morning where I had to sit on hold. So after waiting a rep answers and I explain the situation. He then says, “Oh let me transfer you to disputes,” where I sat on hold again for another 10mins. Finally I get a rep and explain there are charges on my account that I didn’t do. She puts me on hold to review the account. She comes back and asks for account info to verify my identity.

I give her the info and she puts me on hold again. She comes back and asks where is the card and did anyone have access to the card. I answered no and then she put me on hold again. When she comes back for the last time she tells me my card has to be closed and a new one will be sent out in 5-7 days. And as far as my account they will not issue a credit. I have to wait 2-4 days to see if the pre authorizations fall off and until then they can’t do anything so that leaves me with no money. I explained that to her and the rep sounded like a broken robot on repeat. All she kept saying, “By law we can’t do anything.”

What’s even more crazy is my check will be direct deposited today and once it covers the negative balance all I will have is 10 dollars!!! I’m expected to live off that until this bank decides to credit my account for fraudulent charges. I am so disgusted and mad. I have never had a bank account hacked and what’s even more appalling is this may be a common thing with this bank. You would think they would attempt to find where the security breach is happening. All I can say is DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH THIS BANK!!! Your money is at risk by hackers and the bank will do nothing to help its customers!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

To begin, I have been with 5/3 for almost an entire year. I should have ran as soon as I opened my account. When I opened my account early 2018, I was told that I would be receiving a debit card in the mail so they gave me a temporary card until my actual debit card arrived at my home (2 months later). The first temporary card I received was hacked into within the first two weeks of having it. Contacted the fraud department and they had to cancel that card, which still had money on it that they didn't transfer back to my actual checking account so that money is still sitting there and I have no way to retrieve it. Anyways, after the first fraud happened it took 12 business days for the money to be refunded to my account.

I then received another temporary card because my debit card still has yet to arrive in the mail. I went into my local branch, Augusta, GA, and they stated that they weren't sure where it went so that is when I received my second temporary card and they canceled the first debit card and resent another. After waiting two full months, I finally received my debit card.

I started noticing CRAZY overdraft fees, yet there was money in my account. This has happened multiple times and I work too hard for the money I make so I don't appreciate being charged for this I didn't do. The pattern I noticed is that, I'll make a debit purchase on a Monday, but it won't post for almost 5 days, and the last transaction will overdraft my account. I have NEVER had a bank take that long to process a transaction. But, when I look at my account it says there are funds available. It is overall so frustrating.

So on to the most recent problem. I noticed about 3 weeks ago, that there were two charges that I did not making equaling out to about $16.00 and with that it accrued a $74.00 overdraft charge. I contacted the fraud department again and stated that I didn't accrue these charges. The rep stated that he would have the funds transferred back with no issue. I was traveling all the way back home to CA so I needed that money for travel purposes. I called back a few days later and asked what happened because no money had been refunded. I got transferred to the fraud department again and the rep stated that there wasn't even any notes in the account.

I informed him AGAIN of what happened and what the previous rep told me. He stated that I would have to cancel my card to open the fraud case and was 7-10 business days to have the money put back into my account. I stated that I couldn't cut it off because I started my travel in a few days and there are no 5/3s in CA where I was going so I needed that money for travel. He stated that there was nothing he could do. I am FED UP with this bank and all the frustration and anxiety it has caused me.

And lastly, there are a few times that I overdrafted on purpose because this unexpectedly happen. The first time was $100.00, but every time after that, two other times, it went down to $40.00. They stated it was based off of my "relationship" with my bank. I have direct deposit. They have ALWAYS received their money back from me with no issues. This bank is outrageous. From the customer service, to the fraud department and fraud issues, to the card issues, to the overdraft fees. DO NOT BANK HERE. YOU WILL INSTANTLY REGRET IT AND GIVE YOURSELF NOTHING BUT A HEADACHE!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I opened a checking account with them as an addition to my Suntrust to use as personal expenses. After not really using like I thought and getting charged an $11.00 bank fee every month, I asked them to close it. I was sent a form in Aug which I filled out and sent back. I’m still getting letters for an $11.00 overdraft checking fee! Im on at my wit's end. The account hasn’t been used in months. This bank isn’t getting a dime!

Fifth Third Bank Company Information