2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.5/5 (585 ratings)

About Fifth Third Bank

Fifth Third Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fifth Third Bank?

Original review: May 16, 2021

Searching for a new bank after 20+ years of disappointment: My account is set up so that no charges can come through if the funds are not available. Yet the slow individuals that work for this company like Hope (supervisor) refused to refund me my overdraft fee but returned the amount that should have never been drafted from my account. Not to mention this happens tooooo often for comfort. My identity has been stolen several times while banking with 5/3. They also were reported for charging ** more for housing loans... need I say more?! I wouldn't recommend them to anyone ever. Very poor customer service and they'll block your card for no reason. Smh never ever ever ever ever ever again.

Original review: May 5, 2021

After hiring an attorney to set up a trust fund for my parents who were elderly and who needed to go into an assisted living program, we worked with a personal banker at 5/3 Bank who assured us that the checking accounts were being set up properly, naming my brother and myself as trustees so there would be no issues upon their death. 6 years later, both parents have now deceased, but 5/3 now refuses to allow us to remove the funds, stating that they “can’t find” the signature cards proving that it was supposed to be through the Trust, they have no documentation stating that, and the personal bank who set up everything incorrectly is no longer employed there. So now we have to pay attorney and court fees and go through probate court to settle the matter because they will not admit their costly mistake.

Original review: May 4, 2021

Horrible customer service. Very rude and nasty. Their names are Hope and Kandise. They told me they were supervisors? I will refinance and find a new company ASAP. Why would anyone hire people so rude. Also I was hung up on. This company is not worth your time.

Original review: April 24, 2021

Avoid this bank and do not fall prey to their bogus promotions. They will find a way to disqualify you after you've deposited money into your account and met all of the terms and conditions, and then ignore your calls and emails. In my case, a representative at my local branch persuaded me into depositing $15K for a $300 bonus. I never received the bonus however even though I maintained a balanced of $15K for over 16 months, and only 90 days was required. A single unauthorized debit was made a third-party that lowered the balance by just $55 for a few hours, but was reversed on the same day. Fifth Third however credited that back the next day and has been using that as the sole excuse to not honor their promotion.

I tried for months upon months to call the manager, Elvia **, at my local branch in Niles, Illinois to find out why the bonus was not applied, but they never answered their phones or returned any emails. The only way I could get through was by repeatedly calling their national customer service, who eventually connected me with her directly. She promised I wouldn't have to follow-up again that she'd research it, but never got back. Clearly she was just trying to avoid me. After complaining on social media, I finally received a call from a regional manager, Garrett **, who only talked over me to repeat what the mistruths his manager told him - even yelling, which was completely unprofessional.

In short, this bank has horrendous customer service and utilizes deceptive practices to get you to open up accounts and deposit money, for which they are being sued by the U.S. government: Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection v. Fifth Third Bank. "On March 9, 2020 the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) filed a suit alleging Fifth Third took unauthorized actions, specifically: opening deposit accounts in consumers’ names; transferring funds from consumers’ existing accounts to new, improperly opened accounts; issuing credit cards; enrolling consumers in online-banking services; and opening lines of credit on consumers’ accounts. The actions are alleged to be a result of a "cross-sell" strategy to increase the total number of products and services the business provides to existing customers."

Original review: April 18, 2021

Refused to work with me on a loan modification or anything after my husband died. I could make the payments fine but not repairs and upkeep as I had no help and had to pay for everything. Because of their refusal to work with me and subsequently being upside down because of needed repairs, I had to do a short sale which required me to not make two payments before they would consider. This ruined my credit and every aspect of my life when I was already suffering. This is a cruel, greedy and heartless institution. Stay away.

Original review: April 6, 2021

My experience is that they let unauthorized purchase on my account and kept charging me with late fees and interest. They ruined my credit. Until the company who had put the charge paid them much more than my credit limit. They took all the late fees and interests and still didn't correct my credit report and based on that report that they had ruined themselves decreased my credit limit. Of course I contact them zillion times but they had created some false documents. Now they put an agreement on the account that if I don't agree don't let me to get my account. What is the purpose of asking me if the consequence is the same and I have no choice but agree to their terms and conditions. These big companies have become tyrants of our time. No justice.

Original review: April 5, 2021

In the year 2021 it is unacceptable for corporate financial institutions to not provide online banking. It shows total apathy and lack of transparency for customers. The only reason I can think of to not provide online banking is to try and rack up late fees or other fines. Our mortgage was just purchased by this institution and I have spent wasted hours trying to set up payments. They require snail mail and faxes to make payments, unless you happen to live in Ohio or Maryland and can open an account. The customer service reps are polite but completely useless. Utter incompetence, that we are now forced to work with for the foreseeable future.

Original review: April 3, 2021

I want to praise Michael ** in the Clermont, Florida, office. I needed to close two checking accounts, a savings account, and a money market account, as I moved to a location where there are no Fifth Third branches. I have been with them for years. Michael handled everything quickly and professionally, and I was very please to leave with a cashier's check in a very short time.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Car dealership set me up with this bank without being aware who they are. A year in, I paid big chunk of additional charges because of bank processes complicate clients to post a simple payment. Postal service erratic business of operation due to 2020 pandemic year made it worst to receive notices and letters from bank. This bank care less and will charge hefty fees! Tried to post payment over the phone. Fee applies! Tried setup their online account. Complicated process to setup! Tried set up auto-draft. Hand signature by mail is required! No digital signature. Late fee 75$! Finally it took them 3 months to receive the letter to process. That's after I called in. 3 months of late fees! I really lost patience with them. I'm refinancing my loan to elsewhere. I'm pretty sure others are facing same scenario as I am. I'd hope my experience helps.

Original review: March 29, 2021

In the last few year with Covid I have had the worst customer service. This bank seems they constantly want to charge me a fee for something. Their customer service sounds depressed and just restates their policies. They are always right.

Fifth Third Bank Company Information